4.3/5 (176 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

We called Safe Step and we really liked the guy who came out. He was just like part of our family and was really sweet. Then the installation went well. My husband even went and bought them lunch. At first, it leaked, and so we had the guy come out and check it and do some adjusting. It's so comforting. I'm a hard person to get to sleep but when I get in there and take my bath, it relaxes me so much. I love it and I get in there almost every day. The only thing is it takes a lot of hot water so it's best to do it at night.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

My husband found Safe Step. We had them over and liked what we heard. The installation went fine without a hitch and we love the tub. We like everything about it except for the aromatherapy. They came out and fixed it right away. They said that it should be working fine but it doesn't. I never smell any eucalyptus.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

My dad is a little heavy and he can't get in the Safe Step tub. My mom is in a wheelchair and she only has one leg so it's hard for her to get in and out of the tub as well.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

My sister has Safe Step and she really likes it. My wife really likes it too. We got one and the guys who installed it did an excellent job. The walk-in tub fits perfectly where they put it. My wife has used the tub and she likes it. The only thing is having to wait so long to get out.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

So far, the experience has been lousy. The only thing I can get running is one of the showers but the handheld won't work. Day one, the computer didn't work. We had to wait for a computer. They installed the computer and it worked one time. Then the pad went out. They came to install the front panels, replaced the computer that had been ordered, and it's still an issue with the panel. The tub doesn't work and the keypad that's on the back doesn't function. Hopefully, once that gets replaced, it'll function. They're waiting for a part again and again and I'm tired of getting these phone calls and no action. Safe Step should fix it so I can use it. We have a useless tub in the bathroom for over a month now. I've tried calling a couple of different times. You leave a voice message which is not very helpful because nobody ever calls back.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

We're sorry to hear about this, Tamara. We want to get these issues squared away as soon as possible, so please reach out to our service team at sst-service@safesteptub.com.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

The Safe Step tub looked like the best way to go and Jason, the sales rep, was fantastic. I'm using the tub and it's easy to get in and use. I am also able to sit down. When I had some problems, they came right out and fixed it. Everything is great.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

My sales rep knew everything about the walk-in tub and he showed me a brochure about it. He also gave me a rundown on it and what’s going on with it. We had the walk-in tub installed in about two weeks and the installers did the job in five hours. The walk-in tub is good and it is doing the job it is supposed to. I like to have the things on my back, on my legs, and feet. It feels good.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

The sales rep, Bob, was awesome. He explained more about the Safe Step tub, and he was very informative, friendly, and didn't push to make a sale. We already made up our mind that we were going to get it and it was just learning more about the ins and outs of it. The installation happened within three weeks, which was quicker than expected, and it was awesome. We thought we were going to wait four to six weeks. The whole transaction of it all was wonderful. I couldn't have asked for better people. I love our tub.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

My wife had been checking out Safe Step walk-in tubs. It would make it easier for her to get in and out of the tub. The installation went fairly well and it only took the crew five hours to get it in. So far, nothing has gone wrong with it. I mainly use the shower but my wife is really enjoying the tub. It helps with her aches and pains.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

We had to come through the window in the bathroom in order to get the tub in because we have a home that was built in the '89 and the doorways are too small. The installers scraped the window jamb and a couple of places, and it was not fixed. The drywall at the bottom of the tub on the left side was cut and was not patched. The one thing that really concerned me was when I saw how they plugged it in. It looks like the cord was not long enough to reach the outlet so they put another outlet kind of just hanging there and the tub was plugged into it. I asked, "Is that safe?" They said yes but to me, that's not. It was right by the drain where the water goes in. I asked, "What if that leaks there for some reason?" They said it won't electrocute anyone and that it will completely turn off if one drop of water touches it but I don't know. If they would have moved the tub towards the left three or four inches, it would've fit the existing outlet.

I didn't realize that the tub was not quite long enough for me. I'm a tall person and in order for me to get the jets on my back, I have to scoot down to where my hiney kind of hangs off into the seat a little. I also didn't know if we were supposed to get a pillow or if the pillow comes with the most expensive tub. They also had advertised a shower hook-up on the TV, and the guy said that was no longer available. But the Safe Step tub has helped some. My mother had Parkinson's disease and I can feel it coming on me sometimes a little bit. My feet start to get numb sometimes so I've used the jets on my tub a lot to keep that from happening.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Everything was good until they came to install it. They brought the opposite of what I needed. When you walk into the bathroom, the water sewage is on the left-hand side and they gave me a tub that needed the sewage on the right side. They had to order another one and then it took another four days to get it installed. It was kinda stupid not to get it right the first time. Also, their advertisements about having a 50-gallon water tank is a total bullcrap. I think I need at least a 60-gallon water tank because I can't fill up my tub. I have the water turned up as high as I can make it and I can't fill it up without putting cold water. Other than those, the finished product is fine and the price was good. Nobody could compete with that tub pricing.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

The installation was excellent and I like pretty much everything about the tub. It’s very relaxing. But my wife has a concern because when we use the shower, water gets all around the tub.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Safe Step claimed that it was better than all the rest of the tubs but the controls are lacking. I am having them come out on Thursday again because the controls continually have to be rebooted or they don't work right. For the money that I spent, I regret it every day. What they claim and what has been portrayed is different. It's a little tight in there and it's fine as far as the premise of what it is but if I could get out of this and have it torn out, I probably would. I've already signed the contract that I was going to pay for it but I don't think it was worth the $18,000 that they want.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi, Mark. We're sorry to hear about this. Please let us know how we can help by reaching out to us at info@safesteptub.com.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I was reading the thing by ConsumerAffairs and SafeStep popped up as number one so I didn't look any further. We put in the address and they called immediately to come and measure for the tub or show it to us. The salesman was very down-to-earth and very honest. My son was there for the installation and he said they were great putting it in. They knew what they were doing and they tried out the tub and made sure it didn't leak. They also covered all the floors when they came in and they cleaned up. So far, everything's been great. Everything was right up to snuff on what the thing does and everything about it.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I had a roll-in shower. I thought that would work for my husband. It was a bad install and hated a bunch of things, but I didn't change it for a few years. Someone called me from American Standard for some walk-in tubs. And they were so rude after they came out to my house. I saw an advertisement on Facebook with Safe Step, so I called to get an idea of what it would cost. My mom is 84 and my dad is 87. They've been wanting one for a long time. The rep said it's very expensive. But once they came out and we talked about pricing and financing, I said, “Let’s go. Let’s do it.”

I loved the sales rep. He was very knowledgeable and he went through everything. Safe Step has way more toys than these other companies. The installers were done way quicker than I thought they would be because I was told it would take eight hours, but they did it in four. It may have been easier because all they had to do was take out the roll-in shower. I have a tub in my bedroom, but it's hard to get in and out of it without some assistance. And I’ve fallen in the tub a few times. One time, knocked myself out unconscious. So, I had been afraid of the tub. But now, I don't need any help. And I liked the fact that the door opens in instead of out. I love it. I added backsplash to the whole bathroom to make it look like a brand-new bathroom. It’s a small bathroom, but it worked. I always show videos of my tub.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

The sales rep was a little pushy. My husband said the installers were good and efficient. I like the tub. It's worked good. I liked the jets because of my knees and legs.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

The SafeStep tub has more features and looked like a better product than Kohler or any of those other companies. The thing I love the most is the exfoliation, but the tub takes a little getting used to because it's different.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

The guy did a pretty good job with the installation but I'm not real happy with their service right now. We got to put a new shower curtain holder up in it because the other one keeps falling down the tub. We were supposed to get ahold of them and didn't and they have to come out.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I've only used the tub a couple of times, but I'm not as happy as I thought I was gonna be with it. It seemed like I got time but I wait so long for the water to get in and then not knowing for sure what I was supposed to be doing. I'm disappointed in the tub itself. But Safe Step's crews were all good.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

The sales and installation people were wonderful. The installers were here all day to get the installation done and the tub is everything I was told it would be. But I'd be a lot happier if I got a remote control with it. I called the customer support line and I'm waiting for the remote control.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

My father is older and a walk-in tub would be safer for him. We picked Safe Step and everything was perfect. My father loves it.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

They installed my shower rod wrong. It's too far over from the tub. I called in and reported it. The guy said he would send somebody out but I never heard anything else about it.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I liked everything about Safe Step walk-in tubs. The doors swing in and it has a good shower. The installers did a nice job and finished in just one day. They cleaned up too. I got the walk-in tub mainly for my old age. I have never been in it yet and I probably won’t ever be in it until I’m not able to get in a tub. But it's a really nice-looking outfit and the shower works nicely.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

A guy put in our walk-in tub on the 5th of July. It took all day but he did a nice job and got rid of our old tub. I had a couple of questions and the installers got back to me. The walk-in tub is really nice and I like the color. I just wish the tub was a little bit bigger. That aside, going into the tub is a safer thing than over it. I'm very happy with our walk-in tub. Although the tub is pretty pricey at $18,000, it's worth it in the long run. It's something we probably needed anyway so I'm not too worried about the cost. My wife has sciatica so the bubbles are going to help with that. She really likes the bubbles and I do too. I like the hot tub. If you go to a hotel, you can get in the hot tub. But you're in there with somebody you don't know. With our walk-in tub, it's just us.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I had a hard time getting in and out of my previous tub so I thought Safe Step would be a good thing for me. During the installation, the crew accommodated me as much as they could. The problem was the sales rep did not put out the directions the way the tub was supposed to be installed. The crew had to work around that because I had certain specs that I wanted to be done. The sales rep knew it but didn't write it up that way.

The walk-n tub is a waste of money and I'm sorry I bought it. The sales rep should have told me the tub is not built for a small person. I'm 5 feet tall and I have to sit up on the edge of the seat to put my feet on the floor. I can't slide down very well to let the jets get around my back and up around my neck where I want it. The tub takes an extremely long time to fill and the motor on it is extremely loud so you can't sit there and relax in it.

I paid almost $18,000 for the tub and it's supposed to be top-of-the-line. I'm 78 years old so I had very good expectations. It's frustrating to spend that kind of money and be then unhappy with the product. It would be beneficial if there was some way a person could experience the tub before buying it. If I had an opportunity to try it out first, I would not have bought it. But at this point, I'm stuck with it. One of the big issues is the woman that Safe Step shows sliding down in the tub with all the nice bubbles around her. I can’t do that because I'm too small. I like the idea of the action of the bubbles and the water jets but I don’t enjoy it at all. Several friends have asked me about the walk-in tub. I told them, “Before I say anything, bring your bath towel over and go in and try it.”

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I paid almost $16,000 for my walk-in tub and it has been a horror show. The salesman knows about this. The biggest thing is the communications. I asked who was going to do the installation and Safe Step didn't have a name for me. They wouldn't know until the day of. They even made an appointment to come and install it once. The salesperson came to meet me here because he knew how much trouble I've been having. The installers were supposed to be here at 08:00. At about 08:15, I got a call from Tennessee, which is where the manufacturer is. They said, "We just got word that the installers can't come because one of them, his wife had a baby and they don't have enough people to come." The salesperson was very upset too. He went outside to return the call because he said he didn't want me to witness it.

It took me three months to get people to install my walk-in tub. Then we had a problem with the drain as it wouldn't drain out. I got in it and I was stuck in there for 45 minutes before I figured out how to get out of it without the drain. I called Safe Step and the next day and somebody came and fixed the drain. That was an installation problem because I was told that there was a screw on the bottom of the drain that was not adjusted properly. We got that fixed. Now, the remote that turns on the lights and the bubble won't work. I called Safe Step. A part showed up yesterday and it was from Safe Step. I called them and asked what the part was for. They said it was the thing for the remote and that somebody would be calling me to install it.

I'm using the walk-in tub but I just sit in it and use the handheld shower. It's been four weeks now and the walk-in tub is still not functioning. The tub also had several scratches on it and Safe Step was willing to send new places for the handles that you pull yourself up when you stand up, but those haven't been sent. I've called Safe Step this morning to see if that could happen. I'm very unhappy with Safe Step and they know it. I could never recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

The installation crew was very nice but the caulking job for $17,000 was pretty poor. It was not very professional at all. We're waiting on some things to be corrected and for someone to come next week to address a leak. We've got some construction going on so our second bathroom is not ready yet. We're shower people but we are using the tub while we have construction and it's really not conducive for a shower with the way the water splashes around.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Getting down in a regular tub and getting up is a little bit harder. We had a Safe Step walk-in tub installed and that was good. Someone came out and it didn't take him as long to get the job done. I like our walk-in tub and my husband enjoys it. It's soothing and very relaxing. It's nice and it has Bluetooth on it.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Safe Step's sales rep and installers were very good, and since we got the tub, it's been much more relaxing. But the cost is overkill and if you call with anything that's wrong, they don't send anybody back. You have to do it yourself. There were a couple of issues and they tried to talk me through it on the phone. Everything's been fine but when you're spending that much money, a technician should come.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I had a very nice and thorough sales rep. But he misjudged the ability to get the tub into the small space that I had for it to go to. That prevented the installers to install the tub. They weren't very nice. I have a back porch so I decided to make a spa room out of that and put the tub there. I had to have some plumbing done. I really like where the tub ended up so I'm glad it couldn't fit in the bathroom. But that could have been a problem if I didn't have that other space.

The tub didn't work when the installers first installed it. The door and another part leaked. We had to wait for new parts to come and new people to come out and install it. All of the people that came were very nice and competent. It was just I had the first installers, the second installer then the third technician before the tub finally worked. Safe Step needs to work on its installation process. I call one department and they would refer me to another department. They wouldn't always tell me the same thing. It was really quite a go-around on the install process. They're getting people from here and there. Scheduling is difficult too. I kept dealing with the issues until it finally worked. That aside, I'm loving my walk-in tub. It's wonderful and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information