2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs

4.3/5 (331 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: June 6, 2021

My wife had knee surgery and I was having trouble getting in and out of tubs. We decided to go ahead and get a walk-in tub. I kind of liked the look. Everything worked great with Safe Step, except when we first started, we made a couple of contacts and we kind of had trouble getting ahold of salespeople. But after that, the man that came out did a fantastic job. I was very impressed with the installation crew. I like everything about the tub.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I haven't had a shower in a long time. The one we had was installed in '58 so it was time that something needed to be done. Considering that I have had to sit on a bath bench and dip water over my head for the last three years, it was a breath of fresh air to be able to just go in the walk-in tub, take a bath, and have a shower. I'm glad I have this one.

The salesman I had was totally congenial. We had such a nice visit that day before he had to go to another appointment. The installers were nice and so efficient. They got everything done and it was a quick deal, which really surprised me. They went above and beyond. They installed the toilet for me too. I'm still finding pieces of the old tub. That stuff flew everywhere. But that's part of the installation and I can vacuum those up.

I wish Safe Step could’ve had the tub quicker. I love mine. I screwed up the first time and didn't have the door completely locked. I hear everyone has to do that at least once. Other than that, I do enjoy the walk-in tub. I'm sure that this winter, I will really enjoy the massage. It's just been a really great experience. If I can just figure out how to get it paid for, I'll be tickled to death.

Original review: June 5, 2021

My husband wanted a bigger bathtub. So, we got a bigger bathtub from Safe Step. On the installation process, a gentleman came. His helper didn't show up for work that morning and he came without help, but he did an okay job. Our son came and helped him, and he was able to get it in. We're getting used to our tub at this point in time, but it's good. The jets are good, and I like the micro soft bubbles real well. We'd like for the water just to be a little bit stronger. The one thing we do have a problem is the drain plug that is not right. It won't drain without us removing the plug. We just remove the plug and then it goes ahead and drains just fine.

Original review: June 4, 2021

Safe Step's installers did a good job. Some of the ceramics didn't turn out too good, but I can replace those myself. I used the walk-in tub once and we mainly use it to take a shower now.

Original review: June 4, 2021

I couldn't get in and out of a tub because I have neuropathy in my legs. Having my Safe Step now makes my legs feel better. I tell people about Safe Step.

Original review: June 3, 2021

Safe Step sent me a flyer about a walk-in shower. And when their sales lady got here, it developed into a walk-in tub. She knew her stuff. However, her measurements didn't tell her what she needed to know because the tub was enormous. I'm in a 60-year old house and the doorways are rather narrow, and Safe Step told me there was no way they could get the tub into the bathroom. So, they went back to storage and picked up another one that was smaller and that worked fine. The only complaint I would have is to make it a little sunken where the water comes out because it tends to go everywhere we need to shower. There should be a rim or something. Other than that, it works. The main point was my knees are bad and I'm getting older, and I could see myself tripping on the tub.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I don't know if the pipe’s rattling or what but it's happening like every 15 to 20 minutes, and it's really annoying at night when we go to bed, but other than that, I like our Safe Step.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I had a couple of other people in here and they kept saying my bathroom wasn't big enough. But when Safe Step came and measured everything, they said they could make any size that I wanted. The sales rep explained everything wonderful. The installers did a great job too. They did better than what I expected. I'm very, very satisfied. I have the lifetime warranty and I really like the jets. I've only used it a couple of times, but I could tell a difference when I got out of the tub.

Original review: June 2, 2021

Safe Step's sales rep was very good. The installation process was very good. Nice guys came and they did a good job. My new tub is good to me. I enjoy it. I like the jets and the thing that’s spraying relaxes me. I get more relaxation when I go in the tub and put on what I want to put on like if I want to relax or if I want to go for sleeping. It helps me.

Original review: June 1, 2021

The sales rep was wonderful and very patient. He explained everything. The young men who did the installation were here at 8:15. They went right to work and got it all done by 3:30. It was wonderful. They were also very polite. They didn't bother me. Everything was done efficiently and wonderfully. I was shocked at the price, but I pray that it's worth it.

Original review: June 1, 2021

My dad couldn't get in his regular bathtub because he can’t lift his legs that high. We got a walk-in tub from Safe Step. Their sales rep was wonderful, very polite and very knowledgeable. The installers were wonderful as well. I couldn't have asked for a better crew. The tub's quality is great. It's well worth what we spent. The jets on it help a lot, and I like the showerhead.

Original review: May 28, 2021

My interaction with the sales rep of Safe Step was good. He went out of his way to get a discount from some organizations like Medicare or AARP. What they could improve is once they get the installation done, it will be nice if they will follow up, check on you and see how's it going. It is also a little expensive. But you get what you pay for. I really like those lights and the air. It's a little smaller than I expected. But, it's custom made, so maybe on a different space, it will be larger. If people want to have a place where they can relax and get some hydrotherapy, I would definitely recommend Safe Step.

Original review: May 28, 2021

The sales rep of Safe Step was very informative, polite and knowledgeable about the bath. He mentioned the tub being big enough because he said it's about six-three. But one thing I really don't like about it is when I take showers sitting inside of it, it's two inches too tight. If it was four inches wider on both sides, that thing would be perfect. It's not tiny for me, but it's a little cramped.

Once the installers were done, they cleaned up. They could've cleaned up a little better. But they did well. Both young men setting it up, installing it, hooking it up, everything was awesome about it. Taking the old tub out was the hardest part for them. It being a smaller bathroom than most houses, they had their work cut out for them. It took a couple of days for them to do it. They also told me how it works. They gave me brief instructions on how to use it.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I'm loving my husband's Safe Step walk-in tub. We both like being able to get in there and I found that you don't have to fill it up with water. You can just get in there, sit there safely, and take a shower without fearing falling down. The reason I got it is he has fallen down again and this is the second hip he’s broken. And he had to have it replaced. I got that tub so that he can safely take a shower without climbing in and out of something. And this way, he can sit there, get wet, soap down, rinse it off, shampoo his hair, and dry.

Original review: May 27, 2021

We remodeled our bathtub. We still have our shower. My husband now sometimes can't even get in there. So, we decided it was time to get something that he could get into without falling. It is for safety. Safe Step was the last estimate we got, and it was the fairest. The sales representative answered all our questions. The installation went really great. The product we got is high-quality. The only thing is that you still have to wait, get in, and then turn the water on. You still have to sit in there while it's getting filled. So, I don't think you can get around that. But that’s about it.

Original review: May 26, 2021

The rep was wonderful. My husband was there for the installation and he said it was very easy. We got all the specs, we had the tile work done and plumbing prepared. They did it in six hours, and it turned out to be great. The quality of the tub is fine. It's a little confusing for my mother for the water coming on and off. It would be more user-friendly if it has a label that goes on and off because she doesn't want to get her hair wet. And sometimes, the shower comes on instead of the faucet water. But overall, the tub is great. My experience was very pleasant and I would highly recommend Safe Step.

Original review: May 26, 2021

The salesman could've been honest about the fact that I was going to need an upgrade in my water heating system in order to have enough hot water to fill the tub. Now, they glossed over it and all kinds of bells and whistles were described. Subtly, he mentioned, "We'll give you a $500 discount if you need your capacity for your water heating system to be upgraded." But in all the verbiage, that was kinda missed. It was a very slick sales promotion. The guy was surly. I asked him a couple of questions and he said "I don't have time to talk to you. Let me get on with my work.". I hired a gentleman to install an increased capacity water heater. He said that he gets two calls a week for the same kind of problem.

Original review: May 25, 2021

My knees are shot and I can't stand in a shower. The bird bath just wasn't doing it after a while. Safe Step's rep was very good, explained things, answered questions, and seemed knowledgeable about his topic. And then, the installation went efficiently. That was almost half day. It could have gone longer. The workmen were pleasant, polite, efficient, and did a very good job in what they did.

I am not a huge person, but when I sit in the seat, and I tried to move or do whatever, it's claustrophobic. I understand it has a seat. And because people are in a precarious position, they can't exactly have lots of room for them to fall and drown in. But I don't know if that space could be made a bit better. And the only thing that I found somewhat disappointing were the jets. But you have one side that can have them, while the other has the door. So how do you put anything there? Because I was hoping to get pummeled more. But I like the air jets or the middle button. That is great. And the micro thing is wonderful, which is my favorite of anything. The lights are also nice, and the scent is in some way superfluous.

By the door, there's a latch right in that corner. And there's a small grab bar that you're supposed to get ahold of, there’s the dial for the heat, etc. One time, I unknowingly hit the heat thing and turned it. I didn't even know that I did it until we got out and cleaned up afterwards. Something seemed different, but didn't know what. I didn't get scalded. But because of trying to get in, walk in and get turned, trying to grab the bar and get the door closed, it was a little tight. Also, I get in the step-up but I'm still wobbly. It's a lot more expensive than the bird bath too. But overall, I'm still glad that I got the tub because I can sit in the tub and get washed all over. And my skin feels nice after that.

Original review: May 25, 2021

Safe Step's walk-in tub is not cheap but it's quite a product. It's very nice. The installers ran and were out. The only problem was we had the glass installed rather than the plastic shower curtain type thing and the corner of the glass somehow had been hit. So, the glass was breaking apart there. It's a safety glass so that had to be replaced before we even gave it a step.

Also, my wife and I got the smaller-sized tub. Once they got it in my house and I tried it, I realized my fat butt wasn't gonna fit in it so they had to take it back and get the larger-sized one which is worthwhile. It doesn't seem like it's larger and it's very pretty. They didn't scrimp on anything and everything about it is high quality. It has really perked up our bathroom.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I like everything about the Safe Step walk-in tub and I'm satisfied with it. Their sales reps and installers were also very nice. The installers worked really hard and never slowed down. They needed to take a break and they just kept going. But something went wrong with the shower and my husband's been having a fit because that's how he bathes. It needs to be fixed and I don't know what's wrong with it. He doesn't know what's wrong either. It shoots the water straight up in the air and we don't use it at all. I called in and I told them that there was a problem with the shower and that they needed to come out and check it. But they haven't yet. Other than that, I use the tub and it's fine. Everyone that's over 60 years old should have one and if you have any kind of problems, that's the safest way there is to take a bath.

Original review: May 24, 2021

The rep answered our questions and was very informative. He knew his product and he didn't talk down to us. The installation was relatively smooth. I had a garden tub and I asked the guys to come take it out 'cause a friend of mine wanted and I really liked to try and preserve it. They worked and the guy said that he couldn't get the garden tub out without cutting it up. He tried but it couldn't be done and nobody could've done it. The tub I got has been great. Coming out of it is like I'm rejuvenated. We love it.

Original review: May 23, 2021

When I got my Safe Step walk-in tub, the installation went very well. It's comfortable and the wife is really enjoying it.

Original review: May 23, 2021

I wouldn't deal with anyone that was pushy. That's why we never went with Kohler. I wouldn't go with them just because of their salesperson. On the other hand, Safe Step's salesman was very good. He wasn't pushy and he answered all our questions. He knew everything. The installers didn't explain a lot of the stuff to me but they did a good job. Also, they messed up the wall when they put in the electrical switch. So, I had to have the whole bathroom repainted. They didn't do painting so that was an expense I didn't expect.

I also had to have all my ceilings done because the tub they put in is up on the second floor. They had to go through the ceiling. I was not made aware of all that extra expense either. In the end, everything came out fine. I like that the tub is a walk-in. My husband finds it easy to get in and out of it. He has been very happy with the shower in itself.

Original review: May 22, 2021

The installers of Safe Step called me and told me the day before, they would be here at 7 o'clock. I don't usually get up until almost 7:00. But I got up, I went to the other bathroom to take my bath so the tub wouldn't be wet, if they were going to have to change. They were here right at the time I clocked time 7 o'clock. They came in and lined the floor so they wouldn't scratch anything or get dirt on the carpet. It really went well.

My lawn man was supposed to be here at 9 o’clock, and they had some of the stuff on the front yard where he would have had to cut. But they went ahead and took care of that so he would be able to get in the yard. I was very impressed with all they did, the way they cut it, the way they moved it in. I didn't think they'd be able to get it through the door, because it was a small door. But they did. They went ahead and installed it in my house. When they were finished, they told me that I couldn't use it for so many days because of the calk. I had a hard time, the first time I used it. I had water all over the floor the first time I used it. But after that, I was afraid maybe they hadn't installed it right. I came to found out, I didn't have the shower curtain up far enough. But, I got the floor wiped up and the next time I used it, it was okay.

Original review: May 22, 2021

My mom is 96 years old and she had trouble stepping over into her tub. I wanted to get something that was more convenient for her. I saw Safe Step on the internet, and I got in touch and had them come out and put a tub in. The sales rep and the guys that came in and put it in were fine. I do have a problem with the tub now while I was in it. I was moving the large showerhead over to the right and the main shaft for the tube, all of a sudden, shot straight up. It didn't come out, but it went up and water started coming out from where it was hooked on to the other part of the faucets. I've cut the water off, and now I can't get that top piece back down far enough where it won't leak.

I didn't wanna force it because I didn't wanna break anything. They said it is under a lifetime warranty, so I've been trying to get in touch with people to see about getting that taken care of. When my mom gets in there and she turns it on, the water will go everywhere and she wouldn't know what to do with it. I'd tell other people to give Safe Step a call.

Original review: May 21, 2021

I was impressed with the sales rep and the installers from Safe Step. They were polite and did a good job. They left in good nature and I was satisfied with what they did but when I went to my basement to see what they tied into the plumbing, my basement was flooded. They filled the tub with water to run a test and the septic tank overflowed when they dumped the tub. I cleaned the mess up and I found the clean-up towels that they used in the flood that came out of the commode. Those were what stopped the septic tank up because there were several of the towels in there. They said not to get in the tub about 24 hours and I was anxious to have my tub. I filled the tub up the next morning and enjoyed the relaxing bath. When I drained the tub, I went back to the basement and it was flooded again.

I have a huge septic tank and I had it cleaned out about four years ago. I don't know if it's more than what my septic tank could handle at a fast pace like that but I'm having problems with it. I’ve had but one bath in that tub since I had it installed. But I don't wanna have to start cleaning that basement up again. So, I don't know what to do. If it's my septic tank, it isn’t gonna get any better unless they put a separate field line in and that's gonna cost me a fortune. I can't afford that. I gave them about all the spare I had and paid cash for the tub. The installers knew something was wrong because it seemed they were anxious to get out of here in a hurry. But I liked the guys and their personality and I don’t have any complaints except the drainage.

Original review: May 21, 2021

It looked like I could really trust Safe Step, and it would really help me. I loved their reps. They are so sweet. Everything was amazing. The installation was fast. I love my new tub. I like the jets and the lights because I've never had a tub with lights. You should get the tub, too, if you really need it. It's really helpful, and it helped me a lot.

Original review: May 20, 2021

The installers removed everything out of my old tub and then replaced it all with new stuff. It looks like a whole different bathroom. They did a very professional job. We were very well pleased with it. I like Safe Step's feature and how it’s made. I also like the safety thing on it 'cause it's really been a help to me as I can't get in and out of my tub. Mine has the shower over the head, and then it has the hand-held. That comes in really handy. Having that seat in there is a big help too. Plus, it has jets and it’s nice. I really like it. I've been telling all of my friends that are having problems about Safe Step.

Original review: May 20, 2021

The reps were more friendly than kinfolk. The installers also got my tub in quicker than what was anticipated. They knew what the hell to do and I didn't look over their shoulders and bother them. I just let them go in there and do their job. Now, I can get in and take a shower. I got two sinks for the water. One to wash in, and the other to rinse off with. I don't have to step in that big tub that we had. It's been fantastic for me and my wife. However, the showers are leaking more than what I would like and I don't know how to correct them. Water is coming out over to the side. Where the pipe comes up, and then the branches, I tightened one up there at the bottom with my wrench. Other than that, Safe Step is a damn good outfit.

Original review: May 20, 2021

Every step of the way from initial contact, my interactions with the reps were superior. The representative that I spoke with in my home was very aware of the company and what the Safe Step tub was capable of and the needs of the consumer. The tub is not for everybody and they are expensive, which is a problem for a lot of people, but I like the its air feature and massage effect.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information