4.3/5 (194 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: May 13, 2022

It was a good experience with Safe Step. They were very professional. We had a tub in the master bath and they took that out and took it away. They put the Safe Step in, parallel to one wall. It's pretty nice and it’s a well-built tub.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I like the tub but I had trouble with the chair. This morning, I used the hand thing and it worked all right. But I had water on all over the place later on at the tub.

Original review: May 11, 2022

They were very polite and professional. The installation went very well. We got the Safe Step shower and we like it. We’re very pleased with it at this time. You don't have to step in and you have the leverage where you can walk right out. Everything is very convenient.

Original review: May 10, 2022

The sales rep was great. He explained everything. The installers were supposed to be there between 8:00 and 11:00. They got there before 9 o'clock and started to work and were out there. They were polite, took everything out and cleaned everything up. The quality of work done was great. I like that I can get in, sit down in it and have a nice hot bath.

Original review: May 9, 2022

It was a very good experience with the Safe Step rep. The installation team was also a good crew. I couldn't have been happier. I like being able to walk in the tub. I'm a 100% disabled veteran and it gives me a little pleasure when I use it.

Original review: May 8, 2022

The experience with the Safe Step sales rep was really good. We were getting ready to sell a house in another state. We didn't really want to make a purchase until we knew what kind of funds we would have left. But he was pushy on, “I can't guarantee this price after a week,” so we felt pressured into making a decision right there. We approved the installation because he also said that we could push out the installation until we had the funds. We felt the cost was pretty high but he said that overall, Safe Step was the best tub over any walk-in tub out there. It was made in America and the customer service was great. For their lifetime, if anything went wrong with the tub, they'd send someone out at no charge.

On installation day, the contractor showed up first, and they got to work right away, taking out a garden tub. But then they had to stand around and wait on the electrician. But the electricians didn't want to run the wiring under the house. They wanted to go around the house. My husband and I said, "For $20,000, you're gonna run the wire in the right way and it needs to go under the house.”

They said, “We can't go under the house because we've had people go under houses and then they get sick and they breathe in all kinds of junk.” My husband talked with the contractors and they called their boss, and somewhere in there, the electricians’ bosses called, and said, “No, you need to run the wiring under the house .” So they had to call their boss to get that approved.

From the get go, I was under the impression that the tub was going to be put in a catty corner. But it was not put in catty-corner. It was put in flush with the wall, which is fine. I just don't think it's aesthetically as nice as it could look. Once they got everything hooked up after the electricians were done, they ran water in the tub and checked to see if everything worked. The door leaked a little bit, so they did some adjustments and then told us to leave the water sitting in it for 24 hours. We did that. I tried to use the tub, but our hot water heater is not big enough to fill the tub and the salesperson said it would be. So I can't use the tub yet because I've got to put in another hot water heater.

The shower worked when I used it. My husband was hurting one day. He decided he’d try the tub anyway. So he filled it as much as he could and let the cold water run so that he could still use the Jets. When I came home, I asked him what happened with the tub because the floor was all wet. He said it leaked. He thought it was from under the tub.

The next day, I used the shower but the raindrop shower kept popping and would pop up, and then leak and spray all over the place. I said, “I'm not going to use the raindrop shower.” I moved it over to the handheld shower and finished showering that way. We called customer service to try to get someone else to fix it and that was Tuesday of last week but no return call.

I chatted. They said, “You gotta call customer service or email them.” I emailed them and they said, “You gotta call them.” I emailed back and I said, “I've tried calling. Nobody's returning my call.” The next day, I got a call after I called again. I explained to her what was going on and she said, “I'm going to have to put in a service ticket and the technician will call you to set up a time for him to come out.” That was last week sometime. Nobody called me the next day or that day.

I got a call from somebody. But he was returning my request for a service call and he was in British Columbia. He said, “Obviously, this got misrouted because I can't help you.” At which point, we contacted our sales rep and said, “This is ridiculous. For $20,000, we ought to get somebody out here or at least a return call the same day to get this fixed." The sales rep could have been more realistic, first and foremost, about the hot water heater. A 50-gallon tank hot water heater is not going to fill a Safe Step tub. You're gonna need something bigger. I also would have preferred electricians who would do the job the right way. I would prefer better customer service. I was told by the sales rep that when clients make a call, within 24 hours, they get a service tech out to take a look at that tub. But that's a lie.

Original review: May 7, 2022

The sales rep, Deborah, was wonderful. She explained everything and there was no pressure. She gave me all the information I needed, and so were the two maintenance guys and two electricians that came. All four of them did an excellent job, and they were fast and efficient. I like the tub. I like that I can turn on the jets and the air and that I can play my favorite music while I'm relaxing. Being able to use the chemical bath with potassium is also nice, pleasant, and very relaxing. Overall, Safe Step was excellent. They also offered me $500 if I was to bring in another customer.

Original review: May 6, 2022

Apart from Safe Step, I had a couple other outfits out here for us to look too, and they presented themselves pretty good. I didn't have any complaints. I just picked Safe Step because I looked them up and they had the fewest complaints, made in America, and parts came quicker. They were a good company, and they got to the install way sooner than I thought they would. They were in and out of here in five hours. There were five of them altogether. Two were electricians that did their job and left, then the other guys did the installation. Everything was great.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Safe Step had a knowledgeable sales rep. The installation went very well. The installers showed up at the time they were supposed to show up. They did the installation in less than a day and that was including the electrician. The quality of work they did was excellent. As far as the tub, I’m not totally as enthralled with it as I was before I bought it. It's sort of a pain that you have to get into the tub and then let it fill. So, you're sitting there for 20 minutes. We're getting partially wet and I realized there's no way to avoid that. When you're standing in the tub, if the drain is up until the hot water starts flowing, there's not much room to stand in there and you wind up stepping on the drain. You always have to keep hitting the switch to bring it up.

The filler in the back of the tub is where the back of the tub comes up so you can lean against it. It sort of creates a shelf. Where the back of the tub ends, they could have gone back another 8 inches and just made the tub bigger. But there's nothing in that compartment underneath that would allow you to stand inside the tub and not constantly be stepping on the drain while you're waiting for the hot water to stop flowing. So, if you're not sitting down, it's not that comfortable. If it was a little longer, it would have worked better.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Everything went good when I reached out to Safe Step, and the installation went fine as well. They had to come back the second day just to finish up little things, then right after that, the shower wand hose was leaking. Also, they had to take the whole frame of the bathroom door off and when they were done, they left all the cut marks on the sides because they had to cut the Sheetrock around the door to get the tub into the bathroom. It took a couple of weeks for them to come out to fix my aunt's shower wand and her doorway. Other than that, she is happy with it. The tub is working real good, and she likes the whole of it.

Original review: May 3, 2022

The agent explained everything very well, and then the installers walked in, installed the tub in one day, and cleaned up beautifully. So far, the walk-in tub is very nice. The entrance could be bigger, but other than that, I like being able to sit down and take a bath.

Original review: May 2, 2022

The salesman had a lot to cover and our interaction was lengthy, but he was fine. On the other hand, the installation team was wonderful. It took them half a day, and they were very good.

Original review: April 26, 2022

The rep was really nice to me and the installers were wonderful. I got in the tub and we had to play with the water. I'm tickled to death with the jets. Safe Step is the one to go with. They're the best.

Original review: April 21, 2022

The reps were absolutely great. The guy who looked at what had to be done kept talking and told us all the information. The three who installed everything showed us what was going on throughout the installation. It wasn't just, “Okay, now we have your tub in. This is what you do.” We have the jets and the microbubbles and those are really nice.

Original review: April 17, 2022

I love the Safe Step tub. It’s perfect and I'm looking forward to getting in it. I've gotten into it the first time, but I had problems with the faucet. I called someone and they came and showed me something. I'm happy that I have it. I would recommend it to anyone if they can afford it. However, I had called and I want someone to come back out again and help me because I kept having problems with turning the water on and off. It’s not like the regular faucet. There's something that I have to do with it that I don't know exactly how to adjust. No one has come yet.

Original review: April 16, 2022

The Safe Step sales representative was very nice, and the installation was incredible. Two guys did it. They took the hose all the way down to the studs and rebuilt it from there. It was a very good job. I was very satisfied, and I'm very happy I did it. I like the microbubbles. These are the old two sensors that had oxygen and it got rid of my eczema that I've been battling for 10 years. I would definitely recommend Safe Step to anybody.

Original review: April 15, 2022

The sales rep was okay, and while the tub cost a lot of money, I’m satisfied with it. It was up to my expectation and it does the job. However, I had to wait before I could use it, because when I first used it, the latch was too tight and it didn't go all the way down that metal strip bar. I thought it was secured and put water in. It flooded my bathroom several times, and I had to wait three weeks before Safe Step had someone come to correct it. That was really bad because I kept calling them. That was the one aggravating thing that I experienced from them. Finally, when I decided to call the finance company, that's when they sent somebody here. The guy came to adjust the latch on the tub then I was able to use it. I enjoy the tub. It makes it easier when I get ready to take a bath, and I feel safe.

Original review: April 14, 2022

The sales rep was very good. On install day, two guys showed up and looked at what they had to do. They went to work and knocked it out in three quarters of a day, and I didn't have anything to clean up after they left. Everything looked great when they got done. However, I need to call Safe Step and have them come out, because the tub is not getting warm enough for me. My wife also likes it a little hotter than what it's getting. Other than that, the tub is real nice. It has the air bubbles that come up and the pulsation massage at the feet and the back, which is really nice because I have back issues. I can change the color of the water too. It's got seven different water colors we can change it to, depending on our mood. It's also got the aromatherapy, a handheld shower, and a rain head shower up above, as well as temperature control so that the water doesn't get heated to a point where it would burn people.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I had an excellent experience with the reps and the installers showed up when they said they were going to be here. They took us by the hand and showed us all the things that they were going to have to do to the house in order to get the tub in. They didn't stop until everything was working. But I had another contractor doing work in the house and he made a comment that the installers used quarter moldings and his experience was that that was usually caulked. He said that over time, those plastic quarter rounds would turn yellow.

The only thing that occurred after the tub was in was the discovery that we did not have enough hot water to fill the tub and as a result, we ended up spending $3,000 on a new hot water tank. But that's okay. My baby is able to sit in the hot tub now. I'm completely satisfied.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My experience with them has been positive. The installers were very good. The spa feature is my favorite. But we need a bigger water heater because once I fill the tub, then my husband can't shower for a while. I recommend this for someone disabled.

Original review: April 11, 2022

I love my Safe Step tub. It's very nice. I like the jets. It makes me feel good. I like everything about it. I wish the door didn't take up so much room. I'm about 25 pounds overweight, but I know how to get into it really easily. I got a granddaughter I'd love to have to go in, but she weighs about 300 pounds, and I'm not so sure if she could get the door closed. You get to go in and get situated because that door takes the whole span. When you open the door and then close it, you've got to stick your tummy in and get your feet in the right spot. But once you get in, it's great.

The installers were very good. The first group that came was very professional. They cleaned up. They didn't use any caulking after they took some of the moldings off, but I guess they didn't expect to have to do that. The gentleman that put in the shower was very respectful. He was very respectful and very quiet, and he did a fantastic job. I really enjoy the product. Dealing with everyone was easy. Everything was fantastic.

Original review: April 10, 2022

The sales rep was great, and installation was good. It took most of the day for them to put the tub in because they had a bit of trouble. They had to remove some stuff out of my bathroom and resituate things. I like the Safe Step tub. I love that I can sit up and use it, and I can do exercises in it. It's not a lot of room, but I can push myself up and down with my arm so I can get some arm exercises. I also like the showers in it as well as being able to sit in there, and it does whirlpool around. So it gives me some benefits. I like the jets on my back as well.

There's a couple of things that I wish were different though. Unfortunately, my right knee is affected, and that's the knee that hits the door. There's no jet that hits that leg, and I really need it to do that, but just being able to sit in hot water is a good thing. The other thing is, it’s much smaller than I thought it would be. If I weighed 110 pounds, that would be fantastic. I'd be really happy and I’d fit in it great, but I weigh 230 pounds. So walking in it, I open the door and I have to turn sideways, squeeze myself around the back of the door, then close it. It's same thing with getting out of it. I gotta get towards the front where the shower is, open the door, and squeeze my way around that door again to get out, which is a little inconvenient for me.

I wish the door was a little bigger. It also looks like there's a little splitting in the seam where they put it together and did the caulking, so I’ll have them come back out and fix that part. Other than that, it's a great tub. My grandkids, my family and I use it. Sometimes I have to wait till 2 o'clock in the morning to use it because everybody else has been in it.

Original review: April 9, 2022

The sales rep explained the product and what it's all about, and it was a good deal. When the installation crew came in, they took the old tub out, put the new one in and were done quickly. No mess, no fuss. They did a good job. Also, the tub fit in perfectly, and I like the whirlpool in there. That's comforting. The shower is good with it too.

Original review: April 8, 2022

The salesperson was very good and the installer as well. He could have done the install in one day, but at 2:00 in the afternoon, he said one of the sides he was to put up over the wall had a broken teeth in the corner. He said he couldn’t in good conscience put that on the wall. He needed to go back to the plant, go back where he works out of and get a new one, so he wouldn’t do that in the afternoon. It was too far to go and come back 'cause it's an hour away. He came the next day and finished in half a day.

The quality of the tub is fine, but it took getting used to trying to remember all the buttons. I sprayed the bathroom floor when I forgot to pull the curtain before we turned on some jets, but we got it down pat now. I enjoy the tub, and we like especially the shower overhead. Just turn it on, jump in and take a quick shower without getting into all the other stuff. When you want a nice tub bath, you get into all the buttons. We're very satisfied with our Safe Step tub.

Original review: April 7, 2022

The rep was excellent and the installer was very good. They were very professional about the installation. I like the air bubbles feature of the tub. The only problem I can find is that there's a lip as you step into the tub. It’s a bit too high for me.

Original review: April 6, 2022

There are some problems. The caulking wasn't done really well. It's sloppy and it wasn't caulked at all at the bottom around the outside. Also, the tub is leaking at the door. Some of the workmanship they did when they were installing wasn't really superior. But other than that, we're pretty happy with the tub and the Safe Step brand.

The operator of the tub was stretching and she slipped off the edge of the seat down into the little hole. She just had shoulder surgery and that made things rougher because I couldn't pull her out with one arm. The handles of the tub were placed properly but she didn't have the strength to pull herself out. So, she got a visit from the local fire department and they were able to step over on the seat and two of them were able to lift her up and out. If there was a hole in the middle of the seat and you could stick a pole in there so she wouldn't slide down, that would be advantageous for her trying to stretch out. Like they do on a saddle, they have a saddle horn.

Original review: March 31, 2022

The sales rep lied. I asked him are the Safe Step tubs made in China and he said they’re made in Tennessee. When the boxes come in, stamped all over the boxes is, “Made in China.” The only thing Tennessee does is put things together then ship them out. I also found out the first time I go to use it that we had to get a bigger water heater. We couldn't use it for about four weeks while we were waiting for a bigger water heater to be shipped in. They finally got it in last Friday and this past Saturday was the first time I went to use it for a second time after I found out a month earlier that there was not enough hot water

The whole thing had shut down too. I got in it, pushed the start button, then it shut itself off. I got out and checked the breaker. The breaker was fine. I checked the reset switch on the tub and that was tripped. I pushed it and it started again. I was back in the tub then it conked out four times. I called Safe Step on a Saturday and they said somebody would get ahold of me Monday. Nobody got ahold of me Monday so I called again Monday. A woman said they'd get it over to somebody and they should be out the next few days. They were there the next day which was good. A friend of mine was thinking about getting a Safe Step tub for himself. When this was happening, he just looked at me and shook his head. But when they came over the next day and changed out the GFI on it there, he said, “Well, at least they’re quick enough.” Those two saved the reputation of Safe Step Tubs as far as he's concerned.

Original review: March 24, 2022

The sales rep who came out was open and he showed me the videos. I didn't realize that there were so many features in this tub, especially the Bluetooth with the music and the lights. Then, I was surprised that the installation was just one day. The installers were so kind, courteous, and informative. It ran very smoothly and they instructed us on how to deal with the tub. We're enjoying it.

Original review: March 18, 2022

Safe Step finished the tub. We were told everything would be perfect and they would put everything back. But they didn't do it right. The first two baths I took were fine. The tub was a little slow filling but that's probably our water. We had to put $1,500 things to the water tank too. The guy said there's a thing you can add for $150. When we called the plumber, there was nothing he could add for $150. But that's okay. I like the tub but it it didn't drain fast and you got to hold the handle up to make it drain. The rep was nasty when I was talking to her. She said I should pick it out and when I did, it went back and cut my finger. So it was not a good experience.

Safe Step sent a guy and he fixed all the holes that were in the wall because I complained about that. He went down and picked it out and said how many screws were showing. And he fixed the drain. But it was the same thing. The water drained so slow and you have to hold the thing up. It didn't work the way it did the first two baths I took. The first time I ever used the tub, I thought it would be easy. I pulled the latch to hold the door and the next thing I know, the water is all over the bathroom floor out into the hall. I know that I have to really pull on that thing to make it tight before I can start filling it. But it shouldn't be like that, the kid said, too. I told the kid when he was here and he said he was gonna send somebody out about it. I'm very unhappy with Safe Step because when I reached out, I didn't have a good experience. And we paid $16,000 for that tub. That's a lot of money.

Original review: March 17, 2022

We had a very enthusiastic salesman from Safe Step and he could sell an elephant to an ant. He was good and honest. He went over everything plenty of times, asked us this and that and the other, and he went down to the basement. We had two water tanks but the problem was only one would feed to the tub. We joined both of the tanks in series and that took care of the problem. We were gonna get an $8,000 tankless thing and my son came down in with about $50 of material. The people who installed the tub were absolutely amazing. They came on time and went right to work. They did such a good job. They had to run a line outdoors but everything worked once we got the cold water taken care of. It was perfect.

We finally got everything working right. We had a problem because half that tank would fill up with hot water and half with cold. That wasn't much fun. So now, we've corrected that and we've got plenty of hot water and my wife is in skunk heaven. She's trying to figure out all those buttons. Yesterday was the first day that my wife had been able to use it because putting the hot water to get to. There was a big smile on her face.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information