4.3/5 (176 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Safe Step was a better tub. The installation went well. Everyone was professional, and that's what I wanted. Thus far, we're pleased with the tub. We like the ability for my wife to get in and take a shower without having to step over a big tub to try to get in.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

The sales rep, Jim, was excellent, or we probably wouldn't have done it. He was extremely nice, very informative and persuasive. We contracted right then and there to have the tub installed. He had told us that the installation may take in excess of a day. The lead guy of the crew that did it, Sam, was extremely professional. They were almost complete with the job in half a day the first day and we were amazed at the quality of the work that they did. The tub meets our expectations but we're having trouble with the water temperature. We can't get the water hot enough. We have a 75-gallon water heater, which we were told would be more than enough. We have it cranked up for a very hot temperature water. It's the mixing valve. It's either not warm enough for our personal preference or it is defective and Jim has offered a technician to see which of those issues is the case.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

We were impressed with the sales guy's presentation. But it could have been stressed a lot more that the hot water tank that we have is not large enough. We only have a 30 gallon, and according to the paperwork after we get done reading it, it should be at least 40 and possibly 50 if you can get it. But the installers were very good. They did an excellent job. But my wife said that it would be more relaxing if you didn't have to wait 45 minutes to get a tub of water. Also, she said the tub is still leaking on the bottom after she closes the handle inside of it. This happens every time that she took the bath.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

The sales guy was very nice. Also, the installers knew what they were doing. They worked straight through. They came around 9:00, they left, probably, at 3:00.

They were done in a day. People should be aware that the heated seat and back are not like this heated seat and back in my car which really warms me up. I thought they weren't working, but they were. It just never seems particularly warm. And it leaked. It dumped the water very quickly when it was leaking. But they came back. The tech was very knowledgeable. And he tightened the door handle, which is what fixed it. It hasn't leaked since then. Don't trust the fact that you have to sit there for 15 minutes while it fills inside the tub, which was depressing. But they're all that way. I bought some stairs, and I climb in now. The microbubbles were fascinating to my husband. Also, my skin is very soft. I felt good.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

The pricing is okay. Safe Step did a nice job. I have some problems but I'm working on those. On the one wall, there are two tiny holes. And it looks like they tried to fill them in with some kind of rubber caulk. And I never noticed them until I decided to clean the tub. They said to let it sit for 48 hours, then I could use it. When they finished up, the tech thought he left me the black thing that opens up where the motor is for that you hit if you have a problem. It wasn't in any of those papers he gave me. And they didn't leave it in the bathroom. They've been very nice, but I haven't gotten any answers back. One of them wants me to send a picture. I did that. I called him the next day. He said, “Yes, I got it.” It has only been a week. They did it on Thursday. I didn't clean the tub until Sunday because that was my 48 hours, Friday and Saturday. So, I called them either the Monday or Tuesday. I hope they will get it straightened out.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

The installers were very, very good. They got here at 8:00 and they were gone by 5:00. I like the heated seat of the tub. The shower should be pointed at the seat but it's not. Also, the door when it's open, it doesn't stay open. It keeps shutting when you're coming out of the tub.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Safe Step's rep was very knowledgeable. The installers were very diligent and really went at it hard. They did an excellent job cleaning up when they were through. The guy that put it in did an excellent job. And he demonstrated it. It did not leak when he filled it up. And I waited for two days. I got in it, and it leaked. So we called. Three weeks after we called, they sent someone out. And he came in and filled it up. It didn't leak so he left. 30 minutes later, I got in, and it leaked. He said he could see places in the door that could cause the leak. And he has gone ahead and order a door. We waited eight days, and the door came. I called him and told him the door was here. And we've waited eight days for them to come and put it in. They've been putting off getting it fixed. And they're supposed to come today. They have to get that fixed. They are supposed to be here between 12:00 and 2:00 today.

We love the way the tub operates, looks and the shower and Jacuzzi features. It was a good investment for us. Just being able to get in, he said I could go ahead and get in, and take a shower and run it up to a certain point before it leaked. So, I've been doing that. I've enjoyed those features tremendously. But we can't use the jacuzzi features because it makes the tub leak. It doesn’t look like it would be a hard thing to fix. We just need to get somebody on it. It is a big investment and we want it fixed because we need it. I hope they come. We were told that we had a money back guarantee, and that we had a lifetime guarantee. We want it fixed.

When you spend that much money, you don't want to have to wait for somebody to come and fix it. I have several friends that want to come and look at it because they're around our age and need one. And I'm not going to recommend this tub to anybody until it's working. I love the looks of it in my bathroom. I love the features, what all it would do. If I could use them all, I would recommend it in a second.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi George & Mrs. We're sorry to hear about this experience. It is always our goal to get the job done right the first time, and in the cases where that does not happen, to get things fixed as soon as possible. Please take some time to send us a message at info@safesteptub.com so we can learn more about what went wrong here and prevent it from happening in the future. We strive to give all customers top-tier service, and we want to grow from any bumps in the road along the way.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Safe Step's rep was knowledgeable about everything and she didn't have to go looking through a catalogue to figure out what her answers would be. Their installation team was great, too. They said they would follow the tub’s outline and that went well. But there's a side of the cabinet facing it and when they put up the splash guard, it only curled over half of that cabinet, so it looks very funny. They really need to spend more time in going over how to work the tub before they run out. It was too quick and I needed to do it all over again. Also, the tub they pulled out had a bench seat next to it, so they had to leave that blank. And I haven't been able to get anyone in to do that. It’s a 2-foot-square of tiling and the installers don't do retiling if needed.

Aside from that, by mistake, they caulked one of the drawers shut and I had to chop it open. But they came back and recaulked it. Then one time, when I shut off the hand wand, it didn't shut all the way off, so I thought it was leaking. But it really wasn't leaking because it just wasn't pushed in all the way. But they were very polite about it and they did an excellent job. They also got someone here very quickly and they corrected the problems. Safe Step's customer service has been great as well and so far, I like the water jets of the tub. But they should somehow label the controls better and if they could, they should do it in large type because they're dealing with all these senior citizens and we are a little forgetful.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

Everything went well as far as the installation. The tech that installed it was good and funny. He knows his stuff. We did have a lot of hiccups but he resolved everything. Then, there was the training and after my training and I learned how to use it, it’s been really good. They have a lot of videos there - how to exercise and how to do things. But I would like videos on how to use it if you only want to do the feet - if you have epsom salt, is it safe? Also, I would have liked if it had more settings, more pressure.

I love my little tub. I like the handle for washing and I like the features. I like the part where I could just do my legs if I wanted to, which is what my concern was. Also, it has the ozone and I was really impressed when I saw that feature. Because I’m a little bit on the plumpier side, it’s a little difficult to come in. But I already figured out how to do it. There's a certain way to get in there. Once I'm in, and I have everything, it's fine. To me, it is pricey and I had to think if I could afford this. But when I looked at my health benefits, it's priceless.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

When Safe Step's reps came out and did a sales presentation, it was good and not too long. Then for the installation, it took them five hours all together from start to finish. But we've had the walk-in for a month now and we haven't used it yet because our hot water heater is not big enough.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Safe Step is a quality product. The one that we decided on was well made. It was made in the United States. It also has a lifetime guarantee. The sales rep was wonderful. She was well informed about it. She's done an awesome job. The installers told us that they'd be here between 8:00 and 8:30. They were here at about 10 minutes after 8:00. At about 12:30, they were through with the job. It was installed to my satisfaction, which I'm a very picky person. They did quite well.

The electrician and I had a little bit of a problem. But that was the only thing. They got a hole in the drywall. He patched it with a piece of plastic, which is not too noticeable, but it wasn't done the way I would like it. But then, in turn, it's good enough that I didn't replace the drywall myself. Other than that, everything is just fine. It's sealed up. The two people were very knowledgeable in putting it in.

The wife and I both enjoy it. She's especially enjoying it. She's got neuropathy in her legs, and it's helping her legs and feet and making her feel a lot more comfortable. She also likes the microbubbles. Seems it's a cleansing type thing and makes her skin feel a lot better. I would recommend Safe Step to any of my friends and loved ones. It is a very expensive product, but it's well worth it.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

My mother likes the fact that she is able to sit down in the tub. It's a very good product and convenient too. However, to get the tub in, the installers had to remove some existing infrastructure in the bathroom. When they put the tub in, they didn't secure everything or put things back the way they were. Also, we ordered two speakers and they installed one speaker but didn't install the other speaker. They did not make sure everything is secure or check back to make sure everything was done the right way.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thank you for your feedback, Shylon. While we're happy that you are pleased with our product, we’re sorry to hear about your experience. This definitely does not meet the standard of service we aim to provide. Please reach out to us by calling 1-800-989-5101 or sending a message to sst-service@safesteptub.com so we can resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

The installation was great and the reps got it all done in one day. But the place where you put the atomizer blew off and broke so I need to get that fixed. Still, it’s nice to be able to take a bath again and I love the Bluetooth feature.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I wasn't really proud of the sales representative of Safe Step. He may have led me when he quoted me the price and then left me no hardcopy, signing on an iPad for an old man is kind of rough. I didn't really realize what I signed until he mailed me the hard copy of what I was gonna have to pay for it. But the installation was really good. I also like the quality of the tub. I like taking a good bath or a shower. I also like the way that I set the water temperature and it's automatically that way. It's not like trying to adjust two valves to get the water temperature correct. I liked the Safe Step tub way better than the other tubs like the Kohler tub and the American Standard tub.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

My wife has a lot of mobility issues with her back or knee. She was having a lot of difficulties showering in her stand-up shower. It would be easier and safer for her if we had a walk-in tub. We contacted Safe Step. Although their price was outrageously high, the product is really good. They did exactly what they would say from the standpoint of installing it in five hours and cleaning up their mess.

The quality of Safe Step is excellent from what I've observed. There's a learning curve to working it, though. The people who have cognitive problems probably would have a difficult time figuring it out. My wife has so many problems, and I run the water and set the controls for her. There were some minor design flaws with grab bars, where they’re placed. My wife still has trouble standing up even though there are two grab bars. When you open the door or try to get out, one of the grab bars is behind the door. It's useless at that point. So there's only one. When you have problems, you're weak, your arms are not very strong, you need more than one grab bar. So it's always a struggle to get her out. I'm always there to help her get up and usually sit in a wheelchair till she can get dressed, get dried up, and get her clothes on. But other than that, I would hope that they would make those changes at some point.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

A nice gentleman come out here at the house and measured to make sure that the bathroom I wanted to put it in would accept the size of the tub that I wanted. Then he sat down and explained all the things that we needed to know, what options we got, and the options that I wanted. I didn't get anything that I didn't want. I didn't have to accept a bunch of things for money that I wouldn't use. I got just what I wanted to use.

When the installers came, they took everything that they needed out. In less than eight hours, it was complete and they were giving me instructions on how to use the tub and what things do. It was phenomenal. You can get into the tub without stepping up a foot. I don’t have to bend my knees. I also got the option of sitting down and taking a bath or standing up and taking a shower.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

The sales rep was very nice and knowledgeable. He told me exactly what would happen. He said it would take 14 to 21 days. It was closer to 21 days before they came to put the tub in. But they were in and out in a day. They showed me how to operate it and gave me a video on how to operate it. The only problem I had was I didn't have a big enough hot water heater and I had to get a new one. Safe Step could have told me about it right up front that my tank would not fill that tub. I'm sure they have this problem everywhere because they gave me a $750 allowance for a hot water tank. But other than that, I'm 100% satisfied. Everything was great. I love the tub. I didn't at first, but the more I use it, the better I like it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

The rep was very good. Also, the installers were very efficient. I’m very impressed with how quickly they worked and how thorough they were. They had to take the molding around the door because it wouldn't fit through. They took it off, and they put it back. And I couldn't even tell where they put it back. My wife likes the easy entry.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

The sales representative was very positive. Also, the tub is great. Everything as advertised. I like the wider door, the lower step-in. It has a feature that exfoliates your skin, and that's nice. And it also has a stand-up shower. Another positive is they seem to follow up. Once the tub installed, there is communication from them to their customers. However, the installation was rough. They have one person for the whole state. And it made it very difficult to get us a detailed installation schedule. We waited for three months. But the installer came and did their thing. I've got some maintenance I need done on it. Because when it was installed, they didn't install the speakers, for the Bluetooth. And I'm having the same experience as what I had for the installation. The person that scheduled it told me they would call me this week. There is the rest of today and Friday, but I would get that same thing and never hear from them. So, he's very busy.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

The representative came by and we were pleased with her. We were happy as well with the service from the installers. We’re enjoying the tub although we are probably not using it as much as we could. I like the jets in it and the soothing effect, and the comfort.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I have a bathroom down in the basement with a shower stall and I was mainly using the handheld. With Safe Step, I don’t have to go to the basement and it’s easy to use the walk-in tub. I tried to fill the it all the way up like it shows in the pictures and it used all my water. Then, when I tried to rinse off and wash my hair, it was cold water. So, I don't ever fill it up. The reps checked it to see if it would be alright to have a bigger water tank and they said yes.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I have trouble working all the different features of the Safe Step tub because I don't see well. So, it's complicated for me. Other than that, the installation went fine and the sales rep was great.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi, Nora. We're happy to hear that your experience with our team went well. If you ever need assistance with operating your tub, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We will be happy to help!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Safe Step is exactly what I need. It’s great to be in a tub and all its features are good.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

Right now, it's hard to get any kind of bathtub. We thought we were going to need it for the plumber to get the plumbing installed correctly for the bathtub and other brands were three to four months behind but SafeStep was only about eight weeks out. The gentleman who came to make the sales call was pleasant enough and a good salesman. I liked that if I have a problem, I could call and they would come help.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

The rep was very nice and I couldn't be more complimentary of the installers. They were here for 13 hours. The big reason was we lost power right towards the end of the installation and they said they would rather sit and wait out the power coming back on 'cause they needed to be in Morristown the next day. My wife is using the tub and enjoying it. She is just now getting used to the bubbles coming out the spa features. It took her a while to get used to staying in the tub long enough. I keep telling her she needs to stay in longer.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

The rep was awesome and I am satisfied with Safe Step so far. They were very quick. They got it done quickly and efficiently and they did a really good job. I had some issues with some cold water. ‘Cause everywhere else I had good water pressure. But in the tub, I didn't. So, I had to bear with it and just use our very, very hot tub. It was horrible. Something was clogged on the settings for the thing for the cold side.

I had a filter system and a water softener put in because I thought that was my problem with the tub. But it wasn’t. Safe Step got all that corrected. The tech replaced the filter thing on it and then it started working fine. The second time I took a bath in it was a little bit better. So, today I'm taking another one. I'm happy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

The installation took about the time they told me it would and the installers did a good job. The tub is as advertised but there are some things about it I still don't understand, like how to get music out of it. I understand there are some speakers in there and it’s got a Bluetooth. But I don't know how to utilize that thing and maybe somebody can tell me. It's also a little tight getting around that door going in, which is true for all walk-in tubs. And the old tub was a little easier to get in and out of. But overall, when you weigh all of positives and the minuses, I'm going to be glad I bought it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

We were very satisfied with the installation. The husband and wife that came and put in our tub said that they've been doing this for 12 years and they were very, very efficient and very good. The only thing is Safe Step is costly. Don't get into this unless you want to spend some money. To me, they could be a little less expensive. The tub cost us almost what my mother paid to build the house I'm living in because it was built in 1966. But it'll be worth it in the long run. I'm thoroughly enjoying the tub. It's definitely a safe way to take a bath. It's very comfortable and very soothing in the muscles. It's relaxing.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I have two artificial hips and they give me some problems every once in a while. So, I figured the walk-in tub would help. I've had back problems in the past, too. Plus, I love taking baths. I had a bathtub, but it was so small that I couldn't fit in it. I called Safe Step up and inquired and they were very cooperative and sent us a good salesperson here. The tub was more expensive than I thought, but I took out a loan and that helped. It was a while to get the tub installed because they had to make the door bigger. They couldn't get the tub in unless they took out the old door and put in a new door. I'm still waiting for the door to be installed to the bathroom. I'm learning how to use the tub and it's a great asset. I really like it. It's just I like to get the tub a little hotter.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

The rep was very knowledgeable and helpful. The installers did a great job. They were consistent and diligent all day. They got the work done and cleaned up everything after they left. I absolutely love the Safe Step and the aesthetics and everything. It's relaxing and it works perfect in the space that we put it in. But I couldn't get the cartridge to open as nobody really showed us how to put the aromatherapy in there. But I finally figured it out.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information