4.3/5 (194 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: June 30, 2022

The salesman was really professional. He gave us information that we needed without being pushy. The installers were great. They came in, did their work and left without leaving any sign that they were there except for the tub. So, it was fantastic.

Original review: June 30, 2022

The representative that came out gave an excellent presentation to me and my husband. He worked with us, waiting for us to get approved for our credit, which we did. They put a $1,000 down payment and we were supposed to put another $1,000. But the rep said, “No, everything's set for the payment.” Then we didn't start paying it until after the tub was installed, which was great. So it was able to get me to prepare for that month it started. Safe Step also asks medical questions in reference to high blood pressure, which I have. So they do go through the list of things and when they check that off, it gives you a discount on that purchase.

The installation took almost all day. But they didn't have issues with putting in the tub. My husband works all day on his legs and he's 66. We have the jets with the tub so when he comes home, I tell him to go in the tub. He said, “If you turn the knob just on legs, it gets the back of your calves,” where he feels like he needs it. It's nice to have the safety of being able to sit down in the tub and not have to stand up. I have a bad knee on the left, and I have a bad foot on the right. I have an unsteady gait. With this tub, you can sit down or stand up when you want. We are enjoying our walk-in tub. It's good.

We need to get them to show me how to do the buttons on the tub again because I couldn't remember everything the installer said. When you press the automatic drain button, it does not work. It did work, but now it doesn't. You can move the thing by itself. However, it’s tension. I called for a service call last week and Safe Step called me but I have not received a call from the company who's supposed to come out and check it. We also got an issue with the lights. But my husband said the lights are working now. Other than that, the tub is functional. But for $20,000, I want my tub to work 100%. It was a lot of money.

Original review: June 30, 2022

The company was absolutely brilliant. The people that came and installed did a good job. It was dirty before they came. They were fabulous to work with. My wife loves the tub. But it could be better if there was a little bit more space in the tub to open the door because my wife needs to kind of scrunch up in order to get the door opened around her knees.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Safe Step's sales rep was very good and everything is fine with the tub.

Original review: June 30, 2022

When I called, whoever answered the phone was enthusiastic. The salesman that came by the house seemed knowledgeable. He was a pretty good salesman. Then the service people did what he said they would do. The tub works.

Original review: June 28, 2022

Safe Step's salesperson came out and did an excellent job of selling me on the walk-in tub. But there are a couple of things that I haven't heard from anybody since they installed. Other than that, the installers were very proficient and they did an excellent job. Everybody’s been extremely professional. I paid $19,500 for my Safe Step and it's a big investment. At the time I got it, I was debating whether to upgrade my truck or get something for my back. I'm glad that I got the Safe Step and I like the jets on it that are on my lower back.

But I have a 40-gallon hot water heater, which is only a year-and-a-half old, and it's not big enough because I run out of hot water about 10 gallons before I can start the thing working right. I've worked a way around this hot water problem though. I get all the hot water in, then I use the handheld shower, and I get nice and clean. Then I turn the heater on. It takes about 10 minutes and I can get more hot water. I also told my wife when I'm using it to not wash dishes or the clothes. But she can flush the toilet since that’s cold water.

Aside from that, the brochure that Safe Step gave me is for an older model. I got the rain shower way up top and I got the handheld shower, and all the instructions I have on that doesn't have those two items. And there are a couple of things that I don't know what they are, like the micro. I’ve got to call the main headquarters and see if they have an updated brochure because if you can operate this tub, you can fly a plane. It’s got a lot of features but there are only three that I don't know what they're for. My wife thinks she does, but the other day, she flooded the bathroom because she forgot to lock the door in.

Original review: June 26, 2022

The salesperson told me so many different lies, it wasn’t even funny. He told me that my water heater would be just fine, but it's not. When I complained that I couldn’t fill up the tub to utilize the jets because I couldn’t get enough water, he said, “Well, how big is it?” I told him and he said, “Well, that should be fine. Maybe you need to have a plumber come out and look at the elements.” I said, “I’ve only lived in this house three months, it’s a new-build.” The person that came out that did the repairs said, “He lied to you. There is no way a 45-gallon water heater is enough to fill the tub up with hot water.” So here I am with this tub that I can’t use the jets unless I buy a bigger hot water heater.

When the little part that covers the hinge on the door fell off, Safe Step sent someone out to fix it. Also, the drain thing had to be replaced. We did that and it’s working. But now, another hinge fell off and I haven’t called them because it gets me all upset. The salesperson also told me that in no uncertain terms would Medicare pay for any walk-in tub, which is not true. The tub is extremely overpriced. It probably is a very good product, but there are others that are equally as good that you could get some help from Medicare. But I enjoy using the tub. I just can’t use the jets because I can’t fill it up. If that part worked, I would be happy. But I should have shopped around and got something cheaper.

Original review: June 26, 2022

Safe Step did a good job. The sales rep explained things well. The installer came in bad weather but the installation took him only six hours. So he did a good job. But I wish I would have had an extra grab bar installed. The guy asked me at the time if I needed another one and I wish I would have told him, yes, but I didn't. So, other than that, the tub seems to be working fine. It's so easy to take a bath or a shower. I don't have to move a bunch of stuff around and it's much more convenient.

Original review: June 25, 2022

The gal that came was better prepared than anybody else we’d spoken with. The tub is what it’s said to be. It’s safer to get in and out. It's comfortable and it looks nice. They did a good job of installing it. But there is one area where the caulking didn't stick to the wall, and water can leak down. It needs to be fixed.

Original review: June 25, 2022

I love the tub. I really like the microjets that put air into the water. The tub rejuvenates my skin and gets rid of the dryness on my legs and my arms. I've really been pleased with that. Safe Step did exactly what they said they will go on to do. The tub has worked out really well. My only problem is the length of time it takes for the water to drain out. I talked to the technician when he was here and then I've also talked with Safe Step again. The rep let me know that it was normal.

Original review: June 24, 2022

The salesman sold Safe Step with a good pitch, but I'm not real happy with it. The tub has leaked ever since I've had it. I've had them out and I've called and called, and I called three weeks ago. I told the girl, “Hey, look. You told me to pop the button out and I went by the instructions. Well, the top of it broke off.” She said, “Well, we're gonna have to come out and service it, and it's gonna be $179.” One reason I bought it was that there was a lifetime warranty on the tub. But now they want $179 to go out and service it. I don't understand. The tub cost 18,000 and I've only taken a bath in it about 10 times in the past eight months. It shouldn't be leaking. I should be having better results than what I'm getting.

I like the water working as far as aerating. It's good for the massage. But I've never got the aroma therapy to work. I talked to them all about it but I never got any results. They sent me another one of the little containers that had the aroma in it, and I put it but I couldn't smell anything when I'm taking a bath. I can't even smell it. To me, the aroma does not work. If I don’t get any results this week, I'm seriously thinking about taking some action.

Original review: June 24, 2022

The salesperson was very good. But I was not happy with the installation team. The tub was fine but they did not put it in like I wanted it. They did a poor job of installing the drain on the tub. It wasn't draining downhill and then they took a two by four and nailed it into one of my joists and pushed it up and then another one to hold it down. But the tub has good quality. I like the water jets all the time.

Original review: June 24, 2022

The rep was a really nice guy. The fella who was in charge of the installation was really informative and knowledgeable. He got everything explained. But his hired help left a little bit to be desired. One was on the lazy side. Also, my wife is a bit disappointed as the tub is a bit small to her. Additionally, the salesman said our water heater would handle it but we've got to upgrade our water heater. The heater handles the tub in the summertime but in the winter, it doesn't when all the water is dead cold. All in all, it was a pretty good deal. It has hydrotherapy, the air and the water jets. We're happy with it.

Original review: June 23, 2022

The installers got the installation done in a day and they did a very good job. We really like the microbubbles and the lights because the lights leave a good timing for the tub. But one of the little metal handles broke off. So we have to call them and get a replacement. Overall, we are very satisfied with the Safe Step tub.

Original review: June 23, 2022

The Safe Step tech was very pleasant. The installers knew what they were doing, cleaned up everything and everything seems to be working the way it should. I had a couple of issues and a gentleman came and fixed them. I'm loving the tub. It seems to help quite a bit.

Original review: June 22, 2022

The guy that we dealt with was a salesperson so he made everything sound great. But everything was positive with him. I like the jets and the whirlpool of the tub. The jets on the muscles of the legs are my favorite thing. We have the quality of water heater that the guy recommended. But by the time we fill the tub up, the water is barely warm. So we've not used the tub that often because of that. In order to get the best results, we're going to have to buy a bigger water heater. Even though ours is what the company recommends.

Original review: June 22, 2022

Safe Step's rep explained everything really well and showed everything we wanted to see. So, it was a good experience. The installation team was okay. We still haven't got the issue that we had called for fixed. The outlet that they installed in the tub for the outlet is just lying in there. The worker that installed it never showed up to fix it, and I've never gotten back to them to follow up on it.

Original review: June 21, 2022

I liked the people that installed my Safe Step. They were very nice and the lady that sold it to me was excellent. But the 40 gallons of water is quite expensive here and the one panel in the front fell off. Plus, one of the covers for the hinge fell off and I'm not sure how to put them back on the panel. It doesn't look like it should and it's not quite in there right. But it doesn't take away from the appearance. Other than that, I love my walk-in tub and I like the shower. I tell everybody I know about the tub I got from Safe Step and if anybody wants to buy one, I'd tell them that that's where they should go.

Original review: June 20, 2022

I was pleased with the Safe Step rep. Also, the crew was fine. But considering the fact that the representatives are not local, I know whatever issue I have it would take time for them to get here. I wanted the jets and it's cool. I've been getting in hot water most days for so many years. I now have some conditions that make that difficult, and I'm able to get in hot water again. The problem is pushing the button. Sometimes it drains, and at a certain point, it stops. I had to open it several times because my drain is slow. And at a certain point, it stops draining with the push button and I have to push it over manually. For the amount of money I spent, I should have zero issues.

Original review: June 19, 2022

The staff at Safe Step was great but we had issues with the installation. The tub had to be taken out and reinstalled because of the caulking issues with it. Everybody was nice, jumped on the problem, and took care of it. But we were disappointed that we had to go through all that just to get something that cost that much money. And it is still having a little bit of caulk issue, which really unnerves me.

Original review: June 18, 2022

The sales guy was awesome. He was very articulate with the product and didn't sell me on it. He was very nice about it and explained everything to me. I love the way he went about being a salesperson. The installer was quiet and did an excellent job. He did a good clean up behind himself when he did the installation. I like everything about the tub and I can hear my music too when I’m in it. When I first tried to use it, it wouldn't come on and the features on there weren’t working. I was in the tub and I had my phone with me, and I told my daughter to check and see if the green light that was supposed to be on for the electrical was on. And that was what it was. Then, we tried to use the shower and it would just shoot up and water would come out. So, I called Safe Step about that. The guy came right out. He said he knew what the problem was and fixed it right away.

Original review: June 17, 2022

The salesperson was a friendly guy and he explained everything to us. The installers were very nice and clean, and everything's working fine with Safe Step. We enjoy the tub though we didn't get all the bells and whistles. We just want to get in and out the tub. Since we’ve had it installed, it’s easy to take a bath and shower.

Original review: June 16, 2022

The sales rep was good and I liked him. My mother enjoys the tub but there are a couple of things that could have been done differently. The caulking doesn't seal well and I'm gonna have problems on my wall behind this. It should have been a one piece that comes up the wall and it's not. It looked good when it was done. But as soon as the water and a body is in there and there's weight, it separates.

The installers came back here and they caulked it again but I'm still having the same issue. They came in, we filled up the tub and they caulked it with the water in it so it had some weight, and they thought that would do it. It's still the same thing though. It still separated. So, I'll just be careful with the water splashing there. But it's hard to wipe it down all the time. The installers were saying there's not much they can do with the caulking. I spent all this money and there's gonna be water in the walls. So, there's going to be some type of mold and eventually, there's gonna be an issue. But I would recommend Safe Step. They did a very good service by putting it in. The tub works well and my mother likes it.

Original review: June 15, 2022

The lady came out to speak to us and explained everything, which was the reason why we decided on Safe Step. The installers showed up at the time they were supposed to. They came in and looked at the area. I was ready to drape off the bedroom but they said I didn’t need to do that. They said they could drape my bed if I would like, and I said they could. They draped the bed very nicely with plastic although it wasn’t necessary. They got to work and it had it done in half a day. They took out our tub and shower unit. It was very professional, quiet and they cleaned up after themselves. It was a good experience.

My mom uses the tub and she talks about it every time she gets out of it. She doesn't use a whole lot of other features except the air jets every now and then. She still says it’s chilly waiting for it to fill up but she's right next to the water heater so the water coming in is warm when it gets to her tub and she enjoys it. She has always liked to soak in a tub and it was just getting more hazardous for her to step into that tub-shower unit. So, it's been a good situation all around. She enjoys it. She'll soak for a little bit and then let the water out and then shower and wash her hair, which is good. It's much quicker for her and it's much safer, and we're pleased because of that. Safe Step has taken a lot of worry off me. My mom still gets around well and does well with most things, so at first, she said she didn’t need it. But now that she's got it, she likes it and thinks positive things after every bath.

Original review: June 14, 2022

We love Safe Step. My husband can take a bath every day, which he couldn't before at all. And I couldn't get out of those regular ones anymore, either. So it's wonderful. The handle fell off right away and they had a service person within the next day. He put it back on and he also saw something else that maybe the installers didn't put in right, so he did that. He said he would be calling me in a bit. I like the lifetime guarantee, I hope every time something goes wrong, I could call them, because I'm old. I don’t know what to do with it if something goes wrong. You can buy the walk-in tub at Lowe's but you don't have the electricians and the installation people, and they don't put them in.

The salesman was terrific. He was good, social and fun to talk to. So, the whole thing was very good and the serviceman was this adorable young guy. I wanted something good and we need the bath. We you get this age, it’s like, “Wow! That’s neat!” You can do your hair and I liked the micro thing. We have scabies on our skin and after everything is said, we love the tub. I'm very pleased.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I saw the tub a very long time before purchasing it because of the price. But at the time, I had a bad knee and I couldn't climb in and over the tub that I had. So, I decided this was the product that I needed to get in and out. But I'm sorry that I made the investment. I’m not happy with the tub. There are several reasons why I'm not. I'm not comfortable with it and there are things that are not working correctly. The water that goes into the tub, by the time it gets up to the level where you can turn the jet on, it’s not as hot as I would like it to be because there's some kind of a control in the tub that only allows the water to be 104 degrees. So, the man's coming over today to check that to see if it is 104. Because I don't think it reaches 104. I want it to be hotter and there's nothing I can do on my end. It's very upsetting to me. Because when I get in my tub, normally, I can make the water hotter or colder just by turning the knob. I can’t do that with this.

You’re supposed to press the electric panel there for the automatic drain. It wouldn't open up the drain so I have to sit there and hold the manual drain open until the tub drains. The gal who’d been working with me has been very helpful and accommodating, and the man is coming today to try to resolve that. I bought the tub and I'm gonna have to use it. But if I had to do it over again, at this point in time, I would not.

Original review: June 12, 2022

I got three different companies that I set up appointments with. At the end of listening to their sales pitch, I liked the combination of qualities that Safe Step had the best. The installer came and it was done. The tub was clean. My only complaint is in the tile on the wall where the old grab bar was, they left the screws in the wall, which is a little unsightly.

Also, my hot water tank was a little too small. They judged that wrong. I can’t fill up the tub with really nice warm water. Dennis was my salesman and he is arranging for a guy to come and do some sort of hot water fix. The guy was supposed to arrive the Sunday before. He says he called me but he didn't call me at the time that he said he was going to call me. I wasn't in the house and I didn't hear his phone call. He phoned me later saying that he had called me. Now he couldn't come. He was supposed to come yesterday.

He phoned today, saying that he phoned me several times. He said the telephone rang but I never heard it ring. We set a time that he will show up, which is for this coming Saturday. Other than that, I like the features of the tub particularly the little bubbles. That was the main selling point for me. It's just relaxing and comfortable. This tub has given me pleasure. Safe Step is a very good product and it was very professionally installed.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Safe Step's customer service was wonderful. They were patient with us and friendly as well. A week ago, the tub was leaking around the big shower. But the man came out the day after I called and he fixed everything, and it's working fine. I'm a diabetic with neuropathy and I would have to go across town to do and pay for the exercises I do in the tub. Before, my legs were just healing on the outside, not the inside. Now it’s doing both.

Original review: June 10, 2022

The sales rep was fine. Our interaction was very good, and when the Safe Step team came out, they installed the tub in one day. I like the tub because it's easy to get in and out.

Original review: June 9, 2022

The rep was great and very professional. She came in and we talked, and she was very courteous and offered me up everything that I needed. The installers were very good. They explained what they were gonna do and they got to it. I was overweight at the time I bought the tub and had it put in. Now, I've lost a bunch of weight and I don't need it. But I use it. It’s easier for me to get in and out of and take a bath. It was a fantastic and enjoyable experience with Safe Step. I'm very happy with it. I have been talking it up to people and telling them what it does and how good it was putting it in.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information