toll free

Operating in New York
toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Vacuum hose, vacuum, and thermometer. Matt ** at the Massapequa store is the best. He's always pleasant and VERY helpful. He advises you the correct way and not just to sell you things you don't need. He's HONEST and I respect. Therefore, that's why I keep going back there.

The store in Medford always has whatever I need no matter how small. I needed a new cover pump because my old one (5 years old) finally broke. It still worked, but the hose connector broke off. The manager of the store showed me a new pump but said since I bought the pump here they actually sold just the fitting! Saved me some money! Love being showed all options that are available to me. I always go here and always get what I need.

Upon entering your establishment, I was greeted by Melissa, your sales representative. She was ready to assist me with the merchandise I was looking for. She advised me they were out of stock. She then went to make a phone call to see if another store had the items. They too were out of stocks. She then contacted the Manager and advised him of my dilemma. This is outstanding customer service. She went beyond the call of duty. You have an outstanding employee - a true asset to your company.

Factual basis uncertain

Every time I asked the same question to different employees I get different answers. Most of them don't seem to have any knowledge of pools and chemicals. The receipts are hard to read. I do enjoy the sale prices. Thank you.

Ryan ** was working and spent a good deal of time trying to find me a vacuum. He was looking everywhere but still didn't give up. He said if I could wait a minute he would search in the back as well. Well lo and behold in the back was the vacuum I needed. I came to the store the next day for holdums and told Ryan it worked great! Now that was customer service!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?

Island Recreational

Thanks for your review! We look forward to serving you in the future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

Have used Island Rec for years and today was an excellent example of good service. Your service/salesman pointed me to the item I needed, answered my questions, checked on some other items and took care of the order quickly. Good work.

Island Recreational

Thanks for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

What I like about this business is majority of the time when they have items on sale I can get them. I don't have to come back another day because of being sold out... and I love the regular emails that I get for the sales and the coupons. Friendly and knowledgeable staff in the Medford location.

Just want to let you know, when I was in the other day and needed help getting chemicals for my pool, which is quite large, your employee Lauren was so, so helpful, sweet and respectful in helping me. She made me understand all that she was telling me about the chemicals.

Factual basis uncertain

I purchase a new pool from Island Recreational. I upgraded the liner and pool installation was free. When the installers came they said my pool was 5-6 inches off. NO WAY. Then they hit me up for $245.00 to level the ground (which was already leveled). They told me to buy 2 yards of sand and only use 1 yard leaving me with a mess to shovel up. Then they walk inside the pool with their boots on and leave deep giant size foot prints all over the pool. I told them about the prints they said not to worry it would come out when we fill up the pool each day. THEY NEVER CAME OUT. I called Island up and they told me they would come at the end of the season and fix the problem. They wanted me to drain 14,000.00 gallons of water out of the pool to fix it. Then they said they would refund us the $245.00 extra we paid. That never happened.

I spent nearly $3,000.00 for this pool and have nothing but aggravation. I had to pay $100.00 for someone to come and remove 50 bags of sand from my property. The sanitation refused to take all the bags. I am taking them to court and plan to sue them. I have had a pool my entire life and never had this problem before with any other pool co. Will never do business with them again.

Been going here for years, staff is exceptional!

Great service, very handsome kid Sal gave me a hand with my water test and gave me all the chemicals I need. Now my pool is up and running perfectly.

Store always has what I need! Close to my house and great service.

I was having a problem with the pump for my pool. The customer service manager, Ryan, was very helpful in getting me a brand new pump the same day. I did not have to wait more than a few minutes before he was able to review my paperwork, get me a new pump, and have me on my way home.

Factual basis uncertain

We purchased our pool in July 2014 and have not had a full problem free summer yet. In fact we have not been able to use our pool at all for most of the 2016 summer because of a hole somewhere in the now 3rd liner that was installed in Jun 2016. All of our problems started with the initial install. Installers had to come back 3 times to fix damage to pool walls in the first month and a half we owned it. Sadly they were unable to fully repair the walls properly and we have permanent indents and creases around the pool. One of our biggest concerns is what are all these holes in the liners and water seeping through doing to the pool walls. I am going to assume this pool will not last much longer because of all the problems.

Not only have we had liner and install problems, but we have had to replace 90% of the products we bought with the pool, like the skimmer, filter, filter pump, vacuum head and winter cover. The float selection the store offers is good, but you'll be lucky to get more than a month of use out of anything they sell. If you do take the risk of buying a pool from these people, the other thing to watch out for is the installers. The group that came to our house tried to jack up the price of the leveling so that they could stick more money in their pockets.

We purchased a buttress-less pool where the three center supports get buried under the sand. At the time we were purchasing I asked if burring the buttresses was part of the install or if it was additional cost like the leveling of the yard. I was assured by sales girl that it was all part of the install because it was part of the pool we purchased. Day of install came and the installers tried to charge me and extra $300 for the buttresses install. Spent an hour on the phone with the company while these guys Sat around in my backyard getting this fake charge removed off the leveling bill. Needless to say the tip we were going to give stayed in my pocket.

We submitted a request for the company to pay for a new liner and installation from another company, reimbursement for the 5 times we had to refill our 15,000 gallon pool, and a 10% rebate for the permanent damage to our pool wall in few areas which equaled $1750. This submitted request did not include the other moneys we have had to pay out for a new filter, pump, and a skimmer, which would have increased the amount to $3100. The reason these amounts were not included in the request was because we opted to purchase more reliable equipment that Island Recreational does not offer. After about half a dozen rejected lower offers, we finally had to go out and spend the $1000 for a new liner and installation because, we refused to let the very hot 2016 summer go by without our family being able to use the pool.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I've given this company several chances but still come away dissatisfied. I got lured in by their variable pool pump promotion. Between the PSEG rebate and $500.00 store credit (which I was told at the time did not expire) it seemed like a good deal. I do have to say the pump still runs 1 year later though I did lose the display and needed to reset it. I tried to use my credit primarily for chlorine tabs but other items I purchased were a leaf skimmer (broke), treads for my aquabot (3 have broken already), and I hope everyone knows their liquid shock is less than half strength than you buy anywhere else. And guess what - my remaining credit was voided 1 year after I received it. Stick with a real pool store and you'll spend less in the long run.

We want to say how great it was to have Gwen help us get into a pool. She went over everything, covering all the options and requirements. It was even more amazing when I got a call from the installer to arrange the delivery and installation while I was standing at the register to complete the purchase. Thanks Island Rec!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 31, 2016

After writing this review island recreational has offered a $200 dollar refund for my troubles. It's greatly appreciated and allows for me to pay back for all the unused sand I purchased. What is missing now is for the liner to be replaced because of the hole in it but let us see how that works out.

Original review: July 11, 2016

This is by far the worst purchase I have ever made in my life. I bought a pool with them on June 3rd, 2016. My installation date was set for June 27th but a 3 days before my installation date they call to say they do not have the pool wall nor the liner in stock but they can send a standard steel and different liner but I declined and said "I'd wait". They changed my date for July 3rd and when looking over the products I purchased I saw they sent me the wrong liner. I went back to the store furious and they said they would send one in for Monday so my date was changed once again. After having my date changed and waiting for said liner they call to say it'd be another two weeks. Upset I said to forget it and just keep the regular installation date I will go get my refund. Later that day I get a call informing me my date was changed from July 7 to July 25th since I have requested to wait for the liner.

I told them I never agreed to the change, I'm keeping the liner and I do not want my date changed given I've been pushed back 3 times. They managed to set me up for July 8th. Installation date finally arrives and the sand box was built by the previous installer who could not finish because he said we needed 40 bags of sand. We paid him for some of the work he did and the new installers came and they were upset because we had already paid 300 to the previous installers and so they used none of the 40 bags of sand because they said it was unnecessary when in reality they were being spiteful. They set up the pool and the pump and informed us the pool ladder would be an extra 150.00 dollars if we choose to have them set it up. Of course we declined and so they left. The following day the pool is set up and we turn on the pump and the installers did a terrible job and the water was leaking everywhere.

I called and they said they could not have anyone there until Wednesday and I was making the call on Monday. By the time the pool is set up summer will have been over. In all honesty terrible customer service and terrible products. I extremely regret this purchase and everyone I speak to will hear of my experience with Island Recreational. I truly hope they go out of business for all the customers who may have gone through a terrible experience and to save those who may end up in their path. There are so many other pool places we have now come across and strongly regret doing any and all business with Island Recreational.

Factual basis uncertain

Purchased a pool with "free installation" from Island Rec in late May. Free installation does NOT include the price of sand, delivery, filter installation or salt generator installation or the ladder assembly. What a joke. After scheduling 3 plus visits, having the installers be RUDE to my 71 year old mother, (White Glove Pool Installation - nasty) and haggling with customer service reps who said things like, "we hear your type of complaint all of the time" I truly believe that Island Rec is operating a bait and switch business.

They bait you in with the advertising of "free installation" and then all of a sudden you are paying for things and having to do things (like cart away thousands of pounds of soil yourself) and assembling a ladder. None of this fine print was gone over with me at the time of purchase which is unacceptable. The extra money spent on sand, land removal, filter assembly and install, salt generator and install as well as the ladder assembly reduce any benefit of their so-called "free installation." Their customer service reps refuse to give me managers names or provide direct phone numbers. All calls go through the call center with ridiculous wait times. I will never use them again, have no faith in their business practices and will be reporting them to the BBB as well as Nassau County Consumer Affairs.

Factual basis uncertain

Bought a whole pool and filter, and salt system, and August 2015 the pump only lasted one month before broke. Went to the Deer Park location they told me to use. They would swap it out in the store when I got to Deer Park location with the Palm. They told me I had to go to Massapequa to get the pump replaced. When I got to Massapequa at 5:15 PM they told me that they were closing soon and they could not help me. No one knows what they're doing. Their poor customer service and their products are junk, not built to last.

We are just opening our pool today and one of the solar heaters blew the line. Of course, we were five days out of the warranty. I brought the heater to Matt, store manager, and once he saw that I was really just out of warranty, he got a new heater for me. I'd really like to compliment Matt for his initiative. He was cool and calm on a brutally hot day with lots of rude and demanding customers (not including myself!) Please make sure that Matt knows I greatly appreciate his effort. Keep up the excellent work.

By far the worst customer service of any establishment I've shopped with. Purchased a new filter and heat pump in February, set a install date of April 27th. It was postponed 5 times and when they finally came on JUNE 6TH the man couldn't even install the heater because he was by himself and couldn't move it nor the filter because it wasn't on his worksheet! I've made numerous attempt to speak to higher ups in the company and get the runaround by getting told they'll leave a message for them to call me! That never happened! I made several trips to the store to get the run around from the manager CHUCK there too... not even an apology was given. I told them to come pick up their ** and refund my money, now we'll see if that even happens. You might save some cash going with Island Recreational but you'll pay with stress, time, inconvenience, etc. It's true... you get what you pay for!!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a pool liner on 5/2/16 and it's now 6/7/16, and they still don't have it in the store. My install date is 6/9/16 and was told by a service rep on the phone after waiting for 40 minutes that it may or may not come in tomorrow. I received one word answers from this rep who did not seem as if he cared or want to be there to help. Previously, I made three other trips to the store to pick up the liner which they say did not arrive yet. This is yet the most horrible customer service I have ever received. My thoughts are that if I don't get the liner in tomorrow I will demand a refund and go somewhere else. Absolutely the worst!!!

I have to say that I have been to the Massapequa, NY store about 10-15 times in the past 2 weeks and once to the Franklin, NY location. I am a manager for one of the largest shipping companies in the world and I do know exceptional service when I see it. First off, Matt, Julia & Alexis went above and beyond to help me 1 specific day I was at Massapequa because I had a VERY unusual situation and was at my wits end. I was so happy and thankful to them for this and send praises to them for that. Secondly, that Franklin Square store needs an overhaul of staffing. It's like getting help at a City/State office. I remember going there another pool season and it was just as bad. I'd rather drive further and go visit the crew in Massapequa. They jump to help you, they are happy, full of knowledge, and even play off of each other to come up with the best solution for you. I can't say how satisfied I am! Just to prove it, this is the 1st survey I've ever done in my life. :-)

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I just had a pool installed on May 31st. I am extremely dissatisfied with the level of service I have received from Island Rec. Went to the Deer Park location and ordered the pool with what seemed to be a very nice guy. He was very helpful at the time but I since realized he did not tell me about many additional charges regarding my installation. I was looking to save some money and since I own a truck, I agreed to pick up the pool parts at the Yaphank warehouse. Put down a deposit. Had an on-site inspection. Guy was very nice and explained to us about the additional charges that we were never told about when we ordered the pool. Because this was a replacement pool with an existing deck and sand leveling we had to pay an additional $252. Not happy but we agreed. He told us to be sure to call the installation department right away to get an install date because they were filling up fast.

Called to get the install date and I was advised that I need to pay the full balance of the pool. Very odd practice to me because what other place or contractor requires 100% payment even before the work is done? Seemed shady but I paid it so my kids would have a pool for the summer. Got an install date and I advised I need to pick up the pool and parts in Yaphank. I was told to call before pickup but no one could get my call transferred to the warehouse. This company has 1 phone line only. I took a chance and went to the Yaphank warehouse anyway because no one could call them? They had my pool but a winter cover for the skimmer was not in stock. I asked the guy if they would be sending me the part in the mail when it came in and he responded "it's like $10, can't you just go buy one"? This part is included with the skimmer, why should I have to pay extra for it? I was so aggravated at that point and just left.

May 31st, install date. The guys come and start installing the pool. The main guy tells me the additional charges are not $252 but $310. They are charging extra to re-level some dirt that I had already leveled. Of course, cash only. I pay the guy. He finishes the installation and they did a crappy job. The pool is not level and there is a dent in one of the panels. Luckily, the dent is under the deck. He then tells me that he has to come back tomorrow to install the skimmer because the pool needs to be filled halfway with water. I fill it halfway as he requested.

June 1st, wait all day for him to show up to install skimmer. I finally text him at around 3pm and he says he will be there today between 5pm-6pm. Of course, he does not show. He does not answer my texts. I called the one number at Island Rec., wait on hold forever, and the guy tells me they can't send anyone else over to install the skimmer, it has to be the same person who installed the pool. The rep on the phone promises me he will be back in the morning, first thing to install the skimmer. Another day that my wife has to stay home and wait. Not sure they will show up today as I type. My guess is no. They have my money and they were suppose to be here by now. Feeling foolish that I chose Island Rec for my pool install. I should have paid the extra few hundred bucks and went elsewhere.

Went to the Island Recreational in Massapequa to purchase a liner. Spoke with very nice salesman, Nick **. He was very knowledgeable and got me a liner at a great price. Liner was installed beautifully, could not be happier.

Going into Island Recreational, I was hesitant about buying a pool, but after spending time with their knowledgeable sales staff, I felt confident in my purchase. I knew the employee that helped me knew what he was talking about and helped me understand anything I didn't know. He explained what I was getting in my pool package and gave me an incredibly good price for everything. All in all a great experience, if I ever need to replace any parts or equipment I'm coming back here.

Went into Island Recreational to get some information on pricing and possibly purchasing an above ground pool. As soon as I walked in I was greeted by a few of the sales reps at the door and they directed me to speak to Matt in the red shirt. Matt ** was absolutely amazing, very knowledgeable and quick. I was thinking that I was going to spend hours in the store getting pricing on a pool but Matt was able to get me in and out in only 20 minutes. He listened to what I wanted, explained everything in great detail and after speaking to his manager Erik they both got me a fantastic price on my pool package. I really enjoy shopping at the island recreational in Massapequa.

I went to get a water test from Island Recreational this week because I was having problems with my pool. The water was green and cloudy and I was having a hard time clearing things up. At the store, I was helped by James who tested the chemical levels of my water. He was very knowledgeable and took the time to explain the importance of each chemical. We were done in only a few minutes! After adding some ph and some more shock, the pool cleared up almost over night. I'm very thankful that he was able to identify the problem immediately and I was able to clear up my pool so quickly!

Me and my husband went into Island Recreational in Massapequa to replace our existing pool and spoke with Dan in the pool sales department. Dan was very knowledgeable and able to answer all of our questions while getting us a great deal. I recommend anyone looking for a pool to see him at Island Recreational.

Mr. Brennan,

The hoses are purposely made too narrow. By putting the ends in hot water it loosens the plastic and allows it to stretch over the fitting. This helps avoid leaking by making the seal tighter. The hoses come with labels on each cuff with these instructions. We appreciate your comments.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I purchased pool hoses at Island Recreational, Franklin Square. The 1 1/2 inch opening is too narrow. It fits inside the old hose I am replacing. I called. They said to put the ends the hose in hot water to stretch them. I will try it. I think they made them too narrow and are using the hot water as a fix. So my complaint is to warn other pool hose buyers that they will be expected to heat the ends of the hoses to get them on the nozzle of the pool or filter. Maybe it is an experiment.

Island Recreational Company Profile