2. Homeowners
  3. Pool Companies

Currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New York

4.1/5 (234 ratings)

About Island Recreational

Island Recreational offers a variety of pools, spas and quality supplies to suit your needs. With customer service being a top goal, we strive to provide our customers with care and maintenance advice through our White Glove Pool Service. We currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island. We pride ourselves in the best selection at the best prices and are happy to answer any questions you have on your new products and supplies.

Island Recreational Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?

Original review: May 3, 2021

I purchased a pool from Island Rec in October of 2020 with a delivery date in March 2021. All went well except, my free installation cost me $405. My son and I humped 1 1/2 yard of sand into my backyard literally 2 ft from the site, there was an existing pool there with a sand base. The installer said, "Why did you get so much sand?" Well that's what I was told to get, he said not with an existing pool and charged me $40 to put 1/2 yard on the existing site. Sand handling charge to put the sand where it belongs.

My existing pool was up against a deck, $50 per section to install the pool against the deck, another $250. They literally built the bottom track and pushed it against the deck. No one went under the deck, really ridiculous. That would be like ordering furniture, having them build it in your living room and charge you to push it against the wall. My existing pool was level but of course it wasn’t, $45 per inch to level the existing level ground, which was suddenly 3 inches out of level. The installers have a great racket.

Now comes the good part. They installed my skimmer and told me to fill the pool 1ft per day. I said I wouldn’t cut the skimmer yet because the liner will stretch as it fills up, no problem he says, he steps on the liner by the skimmer hole and says he stretches it out. Install the skimmer, fill the pool only to find the skimmer leaks. Factory defect which they already knew about. Went back to store with video of water leaking out of seam on skimmer. I heard the guy at the register on the phone say “you know those skimmers that are mysteriously leaking? Well there is another customer with the same problem," so they knew about it. "No problem. We will give you another."

Guy comes today, May 2, to replace the skimmer and guess what, when he takes the skimmer off the pool, the liner shifts down because it wasn’t stretched enough and the hole doesn’t match up anymore. Now I’m **. Installer doesn’t want to put new skimmer on pool because the gasket won’t line up. Call customer service and they say to drain the pool, are you kidding. What else can I do. So back to the store again and I demand a pump to drain the pool and 100 ft of backwash hose to reach my street. What a cluster “**”. So now tomorrow someone else is coming to readjust the liner and install the skimmer. Let’s pray this one doesn’t leak. They have real cheap prices for inferior products and customer service. Wish me luck.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I ordered a pool in January. In March I received a call to schedule the pool delivery. I asked for end of April, but the person told me that it's in-stock now, he is looking at the pallet, and if I don't schedule my delivery sooner than later then there is a chance that they might sell the pool and I will have to wait longer. So I compromised & scheduled for today (April 16) and told someone would call me the day before to give us the delivery window. When we didn't get a call yesterday, we decided to call and spoke to the installation department. Apparently my pool was out of stock (funny thing Facebook says they have all pools in stock & deleted my comment when I said it was false advertisement). No one was going to call me and tell me. They blamed the store. So the store manager called me. When I asked what happened to my pool that was "currently sitting in front of them" he pretty much blamed the installation department.

I continued to ask where the disconnect is; if I purchased a pool in January, it was in stock when I scheduled delivery in March, and now they don't have it a month later, but no one seemed to have the answer. I asked if they decided to sell it off in hopes I wouldn't mind waiting for another... crickets. I told them my installer does not have dates available in May that's why I scheduled in April, so what am I doing to do with an uninstalled pool because of their mess up... they said don't worry they are sure the installer can squeeze me in (mind you Island rec is not installing my pool & I had to hire an outside contractor for this).

The only remedy they could provide was "upgrade" me to a bigger pool that would NOT fit in my yard no matter what. I expressed that, but they didn't seem to care this was their only offer or wait until the end of May to get mine. When I asked how can you guarantee I will get it then, they said not to worry. How can I NOT worry if they couldn't get my order to me the first time? I cannot understand how they can run their business this way and treat someone who has been a loyal customer for over 20 years.

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

One of the delivery men was very disrespectful and nasty. He didn't care about anything in my yard with regard to the delivery. He was rough with my things and kicked my hose box that was in his way. He spoke to me with an angry and disrespectful tone. He made a comment about "women!"

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

On Sept 12, 2020 I purchased a Saltwater Pool from Island Recreational in Massapequa (paid in full). I received a phone call several days after stating that a Surveyor would be coming on Sept 24 and the Pool delivery would be on Oct 1. They further stated that I was scheduled for set up Oct 9 and the filter and pump would be on Oct 13. The Surveyor arrived on the specified date and told me I would need 3 yards of sand to install the pool. I had the 3 yards of sand dropped in my driveway. I received a phone call from Island recreational (after 5 pm on Sept 29...less than 48 hrs before Delivery) telling me the pool would not be delivered till Nov 15 and the installation would have to wait till spring (no date given). I now have a driveway full of sand and pool that will be delivered on Nov 15 that will take up the rest of my driveway for more than 6months.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Purchased a pool heat. Heat work for two day. Now I've been waiting since June for a replacement. I've been calling and going to the Massapequa store every other day. I've spoken to a few people from their office and they kept giving excuses. Then on September 16 I got someone in the office. They gave me a delivery date of September 18 between 3 - 7. No one ever showed up. No call, no email, nothing. Now it's September 19 and I'm on my way back to the store to speak to a manager that has no clue whats going on. I will never walk into this store again. I will purchase all my pool supplies online from the pool factory. To anyone looking to purchase a pool save yourself the aggravation and look elsewhere. Trust me. You'll find yourself in the same situation.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

First of all my liner was supposed to be installed in March but never showed up, never pick the phone on customer service. Finally they approached me in August and said they got the Liner and installing it I asked is it same I ordered they said yes. But after installing I found it was different than I order. My kids are not happy and disappointed. Then liner was not properly installed one side of it (about 8 inch) already coming out but the customer service or sales department not replying to phone calls so not able to contact them. Very frustrated and not sure what to do. Luckily I had canceled my heat pump.

Original review: July 27, 2020

This company is awful. We ordered a pool robot cleaner in the beginning of July. We called daily after the date it was supposed to be shipped (July 22nd). It has been 5 days of non stop calling and no one can seem to answer the phone. After getting the run around from their awful service and never being in touch with a rep, I decide to take the one hour round trip to the store myself. Once getting there, I see four people at the register who seem to be doing nothing (which is strange because the call line said they are "SO BUSY").

These gentleman inform me that they do not have it in stock nor do they any type of robot that cleans above ground pools in stock and that they will not have it until maybe August 25th, and that I should just trust them and do this one hour round trip again and hope it is there at the end of August. NOT TO MENTION EVERYONE CLOSES THEIR POOLS LABOR DAY SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING THIS FOR A WEEK! They also refused to refund this and it cost $450!!! What kind terrible scam company is this. Do not ever go here. They are just trying to take your money and pretend that their customer service is too busy to answer your call so that you cannot get your refunds for products they claim to sell but do not possess.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Ordered filter and pump online in May. Website said fulfillment mid June 2020. It is now mid July and regardless of how many emails or messages I’ve sent or attempts at phone calls I have not received any replies. They already have my $540.00. I would just be happy to get a date I will receive my filter and pump. Or refund my credit card. Half my swim season is over at this point.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I purchased a saltwater system On 7/23/20 that does not generate chlorine and reads wrong salt levels. The manager stated that theses units are defective and reads 1000 ppm of salt higher than it is. So the unit can not produce chlorine. I have documented all testing of water that backs up my review that the salt ways salt generator does not work. How can they get away with selling a non working product. The product had no support number or address. This is a scam and I don’t want others buying this problem. They will not replace the system which is 6 days old.

I have to add chlorine every day as the unit does not produce it. The salt tests at Island Recreational cannot be trusted. One day my salt level is 3660. The next day it’s 4360. How? Unit does not produce recommended chlorine. Please investigate this practice of selling non working salt generators. On top of that they knowingly sold me a pool not made for salt water. The pool is 5 yrs old and completely rusted. This pool has become a liability for injury. Please help!!!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I purchased a $600 pool ladder a month ago. On the website it said it would be in stock the day after I ordered it. I still haven’t received it or an email letting me know what is going on with my order. I’ve already been charged for it. I’ve emailed and called so many times and they don’t respond.

Island Recreational author review by ConsumerAffairs

Island Recreational offers a wide variety of pools, as well as pool care and maintenance. It has a number of stores in Long Island and New York, that customers are welcome to visit.

• Testing: Island Recreational tests pool water for all pools it has installed to balance the chlorine and chemical levels.

• Pool care: It provides consistent pool care to make sure that pools stay healthy and safe, whether they are business pools or residential pools.

• Expertise: Island Recreational can offer expertise on pool problems, such as pH levels, algae or water clarification.

• Filters: The company helps pool owners inspect and hook up a pool filter to make sure it's working properly.

• Brick-and-mortar stores: Island Recreational has a number of retail stores in New York that clients can visit to discuss their pools in person.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team