4.47/5

Looking for a pool company?

Currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New York

Island Recreational offers a variety of pools, spas and quality supplies to suit your needs. With customer service being a top goal, we strive to provide our customers with care and maintenance advice through our White Glove Pool Service. We currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island. We pride ourselves in the best selection at the best prices and are happy to answer any questions you have on your new products and supplies.

Looking for a pool company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Island Recreational Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

On Sunday I spoke to IR about a pool installation. I asked to call me back on Monday. No call in Monday but between Tuesday and Wednesday they called me 14 times, no message, just harassing calls. When I could answer the call on Wednesday afternoon, Gwen said she didn’t call and blah blah blah. IR really has earned its horrible reputation.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

The salesman Anthony was very helpful- he assured us the heater was in stock and we could have it delivered by Thursday 8/15/19. This was okay- we wanted the pool ready for an 8/24/19 event. While checking out we tried to verify the delivery date- another salesman- unnamed- said it would probably be a "week and a half". When I protested that the other salesman said it would be Thursday this week- he said no all deliveries are on Friday. Anthony told us all deliveries were on Tuesdays & Thursdays. The unnamed salesman said they just give "estimated delivery dates, that the warehouse would call me with a delivery date.

Then reading the paperwork they gave us it clearly states that the customer must call to set up delivery or no delivery would be made! So I called and was told that a delivery could not be scheduled because the item was NOT in stock and they were waiting a shipment from China! The customer service rep (who refused to give her name or employee ID number & stated that there was no supervisor in that office for me to speak to) sent an email to the store asking them to call me. She would divulge however that she worked in "headquarters."

We are heading back to the store to get a refund. By the way this is the Deer Park store on Commack Rd & and they don't take incoming calls. If you call the store number you get the same undercover customer service rep who has no supervisor. This is not the first bad experience we have had at this store; I have no idea how the other branches operate. We spent $2,000.00 today and are completely aggravated; I don't know why we keep trying to have a normal retail experience here but those days are over. I only gave it one star because this site made me- zero stars is more accurate.

Get expert buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 26, 2019

6/25/19 5pm. It took me 23 minutes of calling and getting disconnected to actually get connected. Told the girl I needed to purchase a power supply for my robotic pool vac. After trying to find it with the manufacture with no success and now the fun begins. Apparently you can’t just call the repair center. You have to go through the call center. So I tell the girl I was told in a store to contact the repair department to see if they had any or knew which one would be compatible with my older model vacuum. She got back on the phone and told me they don’t sell them, so as I’m trying to explain to her OK then I need to know if there are any compatible since I purchased them in her store (she so nicely pointed out that she didn’t sell them to me) she starts arguing with me about not listening to her. They don’t sell them.

“Why am I arguing with her” because yes at this point I’m starting to get a little frustrated and finally getting a tone in my voice (absolutely no foul or disrespectful language), “I haven’t even told you what kind of vacuum I have.” When I said that to her she got more nasty. I asked her if I could speak with someone else, she told me there was no one else. When I asked to speak to a manager, she said she was the manager and hung up on me. So now it’s a game. I called her a total of 25 more times of that she picked up once and held the phone. And in the background I can hear a guy ask her, "What’s that?" She said “It’s a customer and I don’t understand why they just can’t Google these things.” TWO more times she picked up the phone and yelled into the phone GOOGLE IT!!!

The final time she answered she put me on hold. I was on hold for over 40 minutes before she hung up on me, enough time for me to get ready and drive to the Medford Long Island Island Recreational who were amazing!! The kicker of the story is I got the box I needed at Island Rec in Medford and there were seven in the Massapequa Long Island store so not only do they sell them they had them in stock. So much for customer service. Island Rec you need to check your customer service reps. Apparently they need re-training on the service part of the job. I’d like to add normally when I run into people in a bad mood like this I assume they’re having a bad day and I let it go but I get the impression this rep has a bad day every day. She had no issue hanging up on me 22 other times and screaming into a phone "Google it." And question, who do I report is to? Nobody because I have to go through her at the call center!!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased a pool ladder at the end of the season (thinking I was getting a good deal). The box was nicely sealed and had packing straps on it so I had no reason to look at it. To my surprise when I opened it this season the ladder was clearly used (had dirt and algae on it), I went to return it to Deer Park where I purchased it and all they could say was, "It was not returned within the 90 day return policy". I was not looking for my money back, only another ladder. Clearly it must be their policy to sell used items because of the great job they did at making the box look brand new.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I don't even want to give them one star. Purchased the higher end pool liner with the lifetime warranty from Island Recreational, installation day came I had to work so the wife stayed home to meet the installers (White Glove Pool Installations Inc.). Drained the pool and left behind about half an inch of water and half a bag of leaves in the pool bottom which the installer hit me for an extra $300 to remove. The manual they give you at the store has it @ $150 max. Then he said I had an issue with the return which had corrosion and had to be repaired, another $50 and it's still leaking.

Called the store today to complain. Spoke to some guy Chris, no help whatsoever. Spent roughly $2000 on this liner. You would expect to receive better cooperation than what I got. Island Recreational and the installers they contract are the worse. Strongly believe this guy took advantage. Should have stayed with Leslie's Pool Supplies. Definitely taking Island Recreational to small claims.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

My experience with this company was terrible. I had bought my pool (Above ground pool) in cash, had them install it and had one problem after another. 1st one gave me the wrong liner then told me they would credit me back $200. Never received the money. 2nd thing the first time they put the liner on they messed it all up and had to come back fix it which meant I had to drain the pool and start over again. 3rd thing is on the 2nd time coming back to fix the liner they punched a hole into the frame of the pool which now I have a piece of sharp metal pushing toward my liner. Told them about it and they now tell me I need to call the manufacturer to see what they will do about after them telling me to send them pictures of the damage. So at this point I now have to take them to court. Great experience. I give them a big fat 0 on doing anything correctly. Never got the energy star 2-speed rebate from PSEG for $150 either.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My mother swears by this company. Only place she will go. Says the people there are great and nice to her and they always help her... always have what she needs. Never overbearing or pushy. I think she has a little crush honestly... lol. Thank you for keeping mama happy.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Such courteous service and always willing to answer any questions you may have. I'll definitely book future trip through them and refer all of my friends and family. They'd have an amazing well planned out trip and chances to win wonderful giveaway prizes and trips for their family. Hope to take my next trip soon.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Quality items at a great price! I love purchasing summer fun items. Looking to buy an above ground pool soon, I know where to shop now, Island Recreational. They also carry some very unique inflatable items for lounging, some I had never seen other than at a Island Recreational store.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

We spent over $6,000 on an above ground pool from Island Recreational in June 2017. The pool came in, the surveyor came in, painted the pool on my grass where we spoke about where it should go, no issues found. Should have known cause he did not know any of the codes for Town of Oyster Bay on pool and fence lines, that I was going to have issues. Pool installer came in and that cost me another $650.00 not counting the two yards of Sand and bricks that I had to get to my house prior to installing them. Installed the pool, Had my electrician come to install power. He informed me that they would not be able to sign off on the electrical inspection due to power wires too close to the edge of pool, had PSE&G survey the wires and was told that the pool was too close to wires and would have to be moved.

While we waited for PSE&G we called Island Recreational's customer service number and spoke with someone there and I assumed that we had 60 days to return the pool, that was my mistake cause I should have read the entire contract and had my electrician there when the pool was being installed. I even mentioned it to the customer service person that I was talking to and he agreed with me that they would assist if we had any issues.

My wife and I took the PSE&G letter to Island Recreational and asked to speak with a manager, and told them that the pool had to be moved. Manager took letter and papers for about 30 minutes, came back and informed us that it was not their problem or issue, that it was up to us to get that done and when I asked to take the pool back he informed me that since the pool was already installed and filled they no longer would take it back or credit. We should have known the issue prior to having the pool installed. Hope my issues prevents or assist aggravation to any shoppers of pools on what they need to know when buying it from Island Recreational.

1. Know all your town codes as well as PSE&G before you purchase the pool, installed or even delivered.
      2. Surveyors from Island Recreational do not care or know any of the town regulations, they are paid by the hour and most likely just told to paint the pool as they see it and make sure they inform the consumer/buyer on the sand and bricks they need to get before the pool is installed.

3. Shop around and make sure that you have options or you have other companies that you can use or compare prices.

My overall experience with Island Recreational is very bad, parts were back ordered and we had to call to get them instead of them calling us that they had arrived or that they had other pumps to exchange it for. Not one time did I not have an issue with them. I should have listened to my neighbor that Island Recreational was unreliable and not good to deal with. I will get the pool moved and my electrical issues resolved with PSE&G, and if I have issues will get someone other than Island Recreational to look at it and fix it. Will no longer give them any business. Luckily we have other pool companies like Leslie's or 3 Brothers if we need anything pool related in the future. Very disappointed!!!

UPDATE ON 11/14/2017: Received a call from Kemp the installation manager from Island Recreational stating that since had written a bad review online that he would work with us to correct this issue or get us a refund, he waited a couple of weeks for us to decide whether another pool can be installed (Smaller), after we decided that we would get a smaller pool replacing the one that was installed. After talking to Kemp and realizing that all expenses outside of the new pool would be on us, we opted for a refund.

We received a call from Kemp letting us know that the pool had to be taken down, picked up, and delivered back to the store before a refund can be issued. On October 14, 2017 the pool was taken apart and placed on the side of my house, waiting for Island Recreational to pick it up. After several calls to Kemp, received no callbacks and the pool is still sitting on the side of my house since October and have not heard from anyone at Island Recreational. I have include some pictures of the pool that sits on the side of my house, thank goodness for fences.

Island Recreational expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Island Recreational offers a wide variety of pools, as well as pool care and maintenance. It has a number of stores in Long Island and New York, that customers are welcome to visit.

• Testing: Island Recreational tests pool water for all pools it has installed to balance the chlorine and chemical levels.

• Pool care: It provides consistent pool care to make sure that pools stay healthy and safe, whether they are business pools or residential pools.

• Expertise: Island Recreational can offer expertise on pool problems, such as pH levels, algae or water clarification.

• Filters: The company helps pool owners inspect and hook up a pool filter to make sure it's working properly.

• Brick-and-mortar stores: Island Recreational has a number of retail stores in New York that clients can visit to discuss their pools in person.

• Best for: Homeowners and pool owners in the Long Island and New York area.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs