2. Homeowners
  3. Pool Companies

Currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New York

4.1/5 (238 ratings)

About Island Recreational

Island Recreational offers a variety of pools, spas and quality supplies to suit your needs. With customer service being a top goal, we strive to provide our customers with care and maintenance advice through our White Glove Pool Service. We currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island. We pride ourselves in the best selection at the best prices and are happy to answer any questions you have on your new products and supplies.

Island Recreational Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Two years ago we purchased an automatic vacuum with a lifetime warranty. Went to the Medford store because the vacuum was not working, the Medford store said we had to go to Massapequa. They said they could not help us, so I asked if they could ship it so I can avoid a trip of 30 miles, was told NO, the employee in Medford stated that I would have to drive it to the Massapequa store. We traveled the 30 miles to the Massapequa store to be told that the store is separate from the repair shop and is closed on Wednesday and Sunday (how would I know after the Medford store told me to go to Massapequa today?

I asked the customer service rep in Massapequa if they can hold the vacuum and give it to the repair shop tomorrow to save me a trip, was told no several times, now we need to make another trip 50 plus miles round trip. Called Island Rec's customer service, stating my situation, no help although I was told that a supervisor would call me back shortly, two hours later no call back, Been a customer of theirs for 20 years, will not be a customer anymore.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I got sold for End of Summer Pools Sale in Sept. 2020. I was told only if I agree installation in Nov. 2020 and “EVERYTHING IS INCLUSIVE”. Not a big deal to me I have the area prep already for a new pool. In Oct 2020 someone called me for the installation date for March-April 2021. I called the store numerous times but no one picks up. I already memorized that press #3-installation Dept. Press #5- Customer Service.. You can have your finger fall off but no one will pick up.. Left messages but no return call.. I went personally to the store Customer Service clown and was told that I postponed the installation for the following year 2021 and I was told that I can only get the sale price if I agree install in Nov. 2020.

When I asked how it happened - the clown has no answer. He then showed me the sale paper - advise to all - check every detail info in the papers before agreeing or just avoid this store. The clown pick up the phone and said the company is out of pools. How many people do you know that want their pools installed in Winter Season? My opinion - no pools available and no installers will do it in winter.. They just pull a fast sale on me.. Come March - April, the site was surveyed for the installer. I paid 2 people in CASH ONLY Payments to install the frame & pump which I was told installation is included in the sale price.

The Salt Generator was not delivered- the installer made a comment that the salt generator has been in back order since May of last year 2020 and should get the price amount and buy it elsewhere. Again- multiple calls/message and frustrated. I all fails - go to the store if you want things done.. If you have a lot of days off or better thing to do than following and telling this clowns to do their jobs- then deal with them at your own risk. So the so called salt generator did not delivered but a Salt Ionizer that they probably picked up from Toy Store.. So scheduling an installation of the Ionizer is like pulling teeth without **. So moving to trying to apply for pool permit, Town of Hempstead wants the site survey report particularly the measurements of the hanging wires if any.

I guess I don’t have to write in details on how many calls I made.. I went to the store and spoke to the customer service wannabe clown explained the situation but not receptive and told me that that I’m the only one who have a problem in this issue, he made me speak to another clown Chris who told me he will email me the survey report.. I think you can guess what happens next.. So I called almost every day. But all I can hear after multiple ring was pick up then hang up Click.. With the Caller ID they know exactly who’s calling.. So I used another phone to call- sure enough this person Daniel called and said Chris is not available and was told he will mail the Survey Report. When I asked on what happened to them he will email me weeks ago, he had no answer..

He then put me on hold and I heard - click. I called again and Alleluia I spoke to same Daniel otherwise if another person picked up he will say I’ll relay the message to the right person. At any rates this Daniel guy said it’s better to mail it to me so I have a hard copy.. I didn’t know whether to scream or laugh out loud.. To this date- I don’t have the Site Survey from these liars.. I just went on my own to find someone to do it.. I used to get my pool supplies from this store but I totally stopped giving them the business.

After you read my frustrating experience with this Island Recreational Store, I leave you to decide if you want to give this your business.. With all the comments I read all over related to this store, it looked like everyone is on the same boat with their dealing with this store. I just hope the owner wakes up before he lose his business ... Thank you for reading this review.

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I purchased a product from them. It took 2 days to get a tech. He tried 1 thing and said file a warranty claim...7 to 10 business days... 7 days later call number 4. No answer. After a week of waiting and was told I might get an answer next week. I asked for a manager and was told that the person I was talking to was a manager. When I asked for next level up he laughed and hung up on me. BUYER BEWARE. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. THEY DON'T SUPPORT WHAT THEY SELL.

Original review: June 14, 2021

This is our second pool with Island Rec. We are having a new pool installed on June 17, 2021 the surveyor came out and told us it would be around $250 to re-prep the existing area where your pool has been on for over 10 years. The prep team just left and it was $600!!!! Something is definitely wrong here, I’m also going to be complaining to the Better Business Bureau. We cannot get through to Island rec. We keep getting hung up on and jerked around from one department to another. This is horrible nightmare after spending over $4000.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I purchased a pool from Island Rec in October of 2020 with a delivery date in March 2021. All went well except, my free installation cost me $405. My son and I humped 1 1/2 yard of sand into my backyard literally 2 ft from the site, there was an existing pool there with a sand base. The installer said, "Why did you get so much sand?" Well that's what I was told to get, he said not with an existing pool and charged me $40 to put 1/2 yard on the existing site. Sand handling charge to put the sand where it belongs.

My existing pool was up against a deck, $50 per section to install the pool against the deck, another $250. They literally built the bottom track and pushed it against the deck. No one went under the deck, really ridiculous. That would be like ordering furniture, having them build it in your living room and charge you to push it against the wall. My existing pool was level but of course it wasn’t, $45 per inch to level the existing level ground, which was suddenly 3 inches out of level. The installers have a great racket.

Now comes the good part. They installed my skimmer and told me to fill the pool 1ft per day. I said I wouldn’t cut the skimmer yet because the liner will stretch as it fills up, no problem he says, he steps on the liner by the skimmer hole and says he stretches it out. Install the skimmer, fill the pool only to find the skimmer leaks. Factory defect which they already knew about. Went back to store with video of water leaking out of seam on skimmer. I heard the guy at the register on the phone say “you know those skimmers that are mysteriously leaking? Well there is another customer with the same problem," so they knew about it. "No problem. We will give you another."

Guy comes today, May 2, to replace the skimmer and guess what, when he takes the skimmer off the pool, the liner shifts down because it wasn’t stretched enough and the hole doesn’t match up anymore. Now I’m **. Installer doesn’t want to put new skimmer on pool because the gasket won’t line up. Call customer service and they say to drain the pool, are you kidding. What else can I do. So back to the store again and I demand a pump to drain the pool and 100 ft of backwash hose to reach my street. What a cluster “**”. So now tomorrow someone else is coming to readjust the liner and install the skimmer. Let’s pray this one doesn’t leak. They have real cheap prices for inferior products and customer service. Wish me luck.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I ordered a pool in January. In March I received a call to schedule the pool delivery. I asked for end of April, but the person told me that it's in-stock now, he is looking at the pallet, and if I don't schedule my delivery sooner than later then there is a chance that they might sell the pool and I will have to wait longer. So I compromised & scheduled for today (April 16) and told someone would call me the day before to give us the delivery window. When we didn't get a call yesterday, we decided to call and spoke to the installation department. Apparently my pool was out of stock (funny thing Facebook says they have all pools in stock & deleted my comment when I said it was false advertisement). No one was going to call me and tell me. They blamed the store. So the store manager called me. When I asked what happened to my pool that was "currently sitting in front of them" he pretty much blamed the installation department.

I continued to ask where the disconnect is; if I purchased a pool in January, it was in stock when I scheduled delivery in March, and now they don't have it a month later, but no one seemed to have the answer. I asked if they decided to sell it off in hopes I wouldn't mind waiting for another... crickets. I told them my installer does not have dates available in May that's why I scheduled in April, so what am I doing to do with an uninstalled pool because of their mess up... they said don't worry they are sure the installer can squeeze me in (mind you Island rec is not installing my pool & I had to hire an outside contractor for this).

The only remedy they could provide was "upgrade" me to a bigger pool that would NOT fit in my yard no matter what. I expressed that, but they didn't seem to care this was their only offer or wait until the end of May to get mine. When I asked how can you guarantee I will get it then, they said not to worry. How can I NOT worry if they couldn't get my order to me the first time? I cannot understand how they can run their business this way and treat someone who has been a loyal customer for over 20 years.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

One of the delivery men was very disrespectful and nasty. He didn't care about anything in my yard with regard to the delivery. He was rough with my things and kicked my hose box that was in his way. He spoke to me with an angry and disrespectful tone. He made a comment about "women!"

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

On Sept 12, 2020 I purchased a Saltwater Pool from Island Recreational in Massapequa (paid in full). I received a phone call several days after stating that a Surveyor would be coming on Sept 24 and the Pool delivery would be on Oct 1. They further stated that I was scheduled for set up Oct 9 and the filter and pump would be on Oct 13. The Surveyor arrived on the specified date and told me I would need 3 yards of sand to install the pool. I had the 3 yards of sand dropped in my driveway. I received a phone call from Island recreational (after 5 pm on Sept 29...less than 48 hrs before Delivery) telling me the pool would not be delivered till Nov 15 and the installation would have to wait till spring (no date given). I now have a driveway full of sand and pool that will be delivered on Nov 15 that will take up the rest of my driveway for more than 6months.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Purchased a pool heat. Heat work for two day. Now I've been waiting since June for a replacement. I've been calling and going to the Massapequa store every other day. I've spoken to a few people from their office and they kept giving excuses. Then on September 16 I got someone in the office. They gave me a delivery date of September 18 between 3 - 7. No one ever showed up. No call, no email, nothing. Now it's September 19 and I'm on my way back to the store to speak to a manager that has no clue whats going on. I will never walk into this store again. I will purchase all my pool supplies online from the pool factory. To anyone looking to purchase a pool save yourself the aggravation and look elsewhere. Trust me. You'll find yourself in the same situation.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

First of all my liner was supposed to be installed in March but never showed up, never pick the phone on customer service. Finally they approached me in August and said they got the Liner and installing it I asked is it same I ordered they said yes. But after installing I found it was different than I order. My kids are not happy and disappointed. Then liner was not properly installed one side of it (about 8 inch) already coming out but the customer service or sales department not replying to phone calls so not able to contact them. Very frustrated and not sure what to do. Luckily I had canceled my heat pump.

Island Recreational author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Island Recreational offers a wide variety of pools, as well as pool care and maintenance. It has a number of stores in Long Island and New York, that customers are welcome to visit.

• Testing: Island Recreational tests pool water for all pools it has installed to balance the chlorine and chemical levels.

• Pool care: It provides consistent pool care to make sure that pools stay healthy and safe, whether they are business pools or residential pools.

• Expertise: Island Recreational can offer expertise on pool problems, such as pH levels, algae or water clarification.

• Filters: The company helps pool owners inspect and hook up a pool filter to make sure it's working properly.

• Brick-and-mortar stores: Island Recreational has a number of retail stores in New York that clients can visit to discuss their pools in person.

Island Recreational Company Information