toll free

Currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New York
toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Vacuum hose, vacuum, and thermometer. Matt ** at the Massapequa store is the best. He's always pleasant and VERY helpful. He advises you the correct way and not just to sell you things you don't need. He's HONEST and I respect. Therefore, that's why I keep going back there.

Greg was not helpful when he picked out the pool liner we had bought. He gave us the wrong one and we had to go back to the store to pick up the correct pool liner. The people also told us on the phone that WE bought the incorrect liner. Meanwhile, we are not the ones taking the box off the shelf in the warehouse. That's all I have to say. Not to mention, I never have a pleasant time when I go to this place.

I've been going to Island Recreational for years. We recently purchased a hose. The people there were good, very nice and friendly. Whatever I need, we go to Island Recreational. We buy it and we're happy with it. Moreover, when they first did the pool, we had no problem. Another time they came to put the new liner and we had no problem with that either. I always recommend Island Recreational.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had to cancel my new pool liner order today (6/6/2017) because the installer never contacted me. I had to go back to the store 3 times to no avail. I'm a VIP customer for many years and have bought 2 pools and a new liner from Island Recreational in the past. Very disappointed!!!

Island Recreational is local in our area so I tried them out. I'm brand new to pools and I got a brand new pool. I bought a pole to clean the pool and a solar cover which was nice. Then I placed an order for the reel that goes with the solar cover but now I have to wait for over a month for it. I paid for it already and I've been very patient. They keep telling me that it's delayed and it's going to be in. I want my pool reels because trying to fold up a solar cover is very difficult and so I would love to hear them say, "Hey, your reel is in. Come pick it out." I didn't know it's such an odd product.

Island Recreational is not the greatest company in the world. They're like the Harbor Freight of pool places and they're good for one-time. Their products are not the best but they're cheap if it's in stock and so it's easy and quick to be picked up, like going to the convenient store. All my stuff is Hayward and it doesn't seem like they carry Hayward. Nonetheless, they have very nice, knowledgeable and always helpful people when I go in the store. They come right over to see what I need. They also send a lot of emails and got a lot of coupons which is good. Although I'm learning that it's probably easy to buy stuff online because I get it so much quicker and get a better product, I'm not going to stop going to Island Recreational. I'll buy stuff that's in stock there but I'm not going to place any orders. Also, they might have the golden thing that I need the next time I need it and then there will be a box.

There's an Island Recreational store in my town and I've been going to them for 25 plus years. It's close to home and convenient. They have very nice and genuine employees including the managers. I buy chemicals through them for my pool and spa. They have everything I need most of the time and I had a very easy experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?

My parents always went to Island Recreational. They're a local company and I use them for supplies. They have what I need for my pool. I'd get the shock, clarifier, algaecide, and the tablets from them. Sometimes I would get tubes, filters, and pumps as well. Their sales team would always ask if I need help and if I had found everything okay. They're always on the floor asking if I need anything from the back. Keep up the good work.

My mom used to always go to Island Recreational when I was younger. I've had a pool when I was with my parents, but as a homeowner, I don't own a pool right now. We had one but just had it taken down. My husband and I won a contest so I went to pick up my prize recently in two separate days. Everything was great when I was there. Their people were really nice and friendly. They got my stuff and I was in and out.

I've been Island Recreational's customer since the 90s. Their store is located near the house where we live. It is clean, the people are nice and friendly and they know where the stuff is. The one we go to is in Massapequa. They had an old terminal from the 80s that was outdated and it always went down. They never upgraded. When you call in, they can't say something is in store, which is frustrating. Sometimes we need a couple of things and there's always some issue when we go down there. They don’t always have what you need in stock, so you have to come back. It's never a smooth transaction. But you go there because they do have the products and they do have the best prices.

There's a main customer service number but you can’t call the store directly. If you leave your phone or something there, you're screwed. I had a problem with something we bought last year, and we couldn’t get to the store. Somebody will never ever call you back. You can't talk to the manager and the guys are not knowledgeable at all.

But I am pleased that I can go there and get the chemicals that I need. I bought a pool pump there, and they've given me a warranty. Also they do these sales for two hours on Sunday from 10:00 AM to noon where you can get an item that you usually get. It's like $10 for this but it's normally $30. If you go there, there are only two in the store. If you're gonna go down there and be the one person that gets it, you're lucky. This season, they started doing giveaways online. If you like the post and you put a comment on the post this is on Facebook then you can win something nice.

I have always used Island Recreational for the last 20 years. I have an above ground pool my purchasing experience has been easy.

Island Recreational is convenient. I like the place. Good pricing. I always buy the kids floaties and I bought a new pump and a salt water system. Salespeople are good and courteous. I have no issues. Everything’s good and people are nice.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Just wanted to say I shop at the Medford store all the time and even in the winter they have even lower prices! I always save money here and it's always worth the trip! I always get a great product for a very reasonable price.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The store in Medford always has whatever I need no matter how small. I needed a new cover pump because my old one (5 years old) finally broke. It still worked, but the hose connector broke off. The manager of the store showed me a new pump but said since I bought the pump here they actually sold just the fitting! Saved me some money! Love being showed all options that are available to me. I always go here and always get what I need.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Upon entering your establishment, I was greeted by Melissa, your sales representative. She was ready to assist me with the merchandise I was looking for. She advised me they were out of stock. She then went to make a phone call to see if another store had the items. They too were out of stocks. She then contacted the Manager and advised him of my dilemma. This is outstanding customer service. She went beyond the call of duty. You have an outstanding employee - a true asset to your company.

Factual basis uncertain

Every time I asked the same question to different employees I get different answers. Most of them don't seem to have any knowledge of pools and chemicals. The receipts are hard to read. I do enjoy the sale prices. Thank you.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Ryan ** was working and spent a good deal of time trying to find me a vacuum. He was looking everywhere but still didn't give up. He said if I could wait a minute he would search in the back as well. Well lo and behold in the back was the vacuum I needed. I came to the store the next day for holdums and told Ryan it worked great! Now that was customer service!!

Island Recreational

Thanks for your review! We look forward to serving you in the future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

Have used Island Rec for years and today was an excellent example of good service. Your service/salesman pointed me to the item I needed, answered my questions, checked on some other items and took care of the order quickly. Good work.

Island Recreational

Thanks for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

What I like about this business is majority of the time when they have items on sale I can get them. I don't have to come back another day because of being sold out... and I love the regular emails that I get for the sales and the coupons. Friendly and knowledgeable staff in the Medford location.

Just want to let you know, when I was in the other day and needed help getting chemicals for my pool, which is quite large, your employee Lauren was so, so helpful, sweet and respectful in helping me. She made me understand all that she was telling me about the chemicals.

Factual basis uncertain

I purchase a new pool from Island Recreational. I upgraded the liner and pool installation was free. When the installers came they said my pool was 5-6 inches off. NO WAY. Then they hit me up for $245.00 to level the ground (which was already leveled). They told me to buy 2 yards of sand and only use 1 yard leaving me with a mess to shovel up. Then they walk inside the pool with their boots on and leave deep giant size foot prints all over the pool. I told them about the prints they said not to worry it would come out when we fill up the pool each day. THEY NEVER CAME OUT. I called Island up and they told me they would come at the end of the season and fix the problem. They wanted me to drain 14,000.00 gallons of water out of the pool to fix it. Then they said they would refund us the $245.00 extra we paid. That never happened.

I spent nearly $3,000.00 for this pool and have nothing but aggravation. I had to pay $100.00 for someone to come and remove 50 bags of sand from my property. The sanitation refused to take all the bags. I am taking them to court and plan to sue them. I have had a pool my entire life and never had this problem before with any other pool co. Will never do business with them again.

Been going here for years, staff is exceptional!

Great service, very handsome kid Sal gave me a hand with my water test and gave me all the chemicals I need. Now my pool is up and running perfectly.

Store always has what I need! Close to my house and great service.

I was having a problem with the pump for my pool. The customer service manager, Ryan, was very helpful in getting me a brand new pump the same day. I did not have to wait more than a few minutes before he was able to review my paperwork, get me a new pump, and have me on my way home.

Factual basis uncertain

We purchased our pool in July 2014 and have not had a full problem free summer yet. In fact we have not been able to use our pool at all for most of the 2016 summer because of a hole somewhere in the now 3rd liner that was installed in Jun 2016. All of our problems started with the initial install. Installers had to come back 3 times to fix damage to pool walls in the first month and a half we owned it. Sadly they were unable to fully repair the walls properly and we have permanent indents and creases around the pool. One of our biggest concerns is what are all these holes in the liners and water seeping through doing to the pool walls. I am going to assume this pool will not last much longer because of all the problems.

Not only have we had liner and install problems, but we have had to replace 90% of the products we bought with the pool, like the skimmer, filter, filter pump, vacuum head and winter cover. The float selection the store offers is good, but you'll be lucky to get more than a month of use out of anything they sell. If you do take the risk of buying a pool from these people, the other thing to watch out for is the installers. The group that came to our house tried to jack up the price of the leveling so that they could stick more money in their pockets.

We purchased a buttress-less pool where the three center supports get buried under the sand. At the time we were purchasing I asked if burring the buttresses was part of the install or if it was additional cost like the leveling of the yard. I was assured by sales girl that it was all part of the install because it was part of the pool we purchased. Day of install came and the installers tried to charge me and extra $300 for the buttresses install. Spent an hour on the phone with the company while these guys Sat around in my backyard getting this fake charge removed off the leveling bill. Needless to say the tip we were going to give stayed in my pocket.

We submitted a request for the company to pay for a new liner and installation from another company, reimbursement for the 5 times we had to refill our 15,000 gallon pool, and a 10% rebate for the permanent damage to our pool wall in few areas which equaled $1750. This submitted request did not include the other moneys we have had to pay out for a new filter, pump, and a skimmer, which would have increased the amount to $3100. The reason these amounts were not included in the request was because we opted to purchase more reliable equipment that Island Recreational does not offer. After about half a dozen rejected lower offers, we finally had to go out and spend the $1000 for a new liner and installation because, we refused to let the very hot 2016 summer go by without our family being able to use the pool.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I've given this company several chances but still come away dissatisfied. I got lured in by their variable pool pump promotion. Between the PSEG rebate and $500.00 store credit (which I was told at the time did not expire) it seemed like a good deal. I do have to say the pump still runs 1 year later though I did lose the display and needed to reset it. I tried to use my credit primarily for chlorine tabs but other items I purchased were a leaf skimmer (broke), treads for my aquabot (3 have broken already), and I hope everyone knows their liquid shock is less than half strength than you buy anywhere else. And guess what - my remaining credit was voided 1 year after I received it. Stick with a real pool store and you'll spend less in the long run.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We want to say how great it was to have Gwen help us get into a pool. She went over everything, covering all the options and requirements. It was even more amazing when I got a call from the installer to arrange the delivery and installation while I was standing at the register to complete the purchase. Thanks Island Rec!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 31, 2016

After writing this review island recreational has offered a $200 dollar refund for my troubles. It's greatly appreciated and allows for me to pay back for all the unused sand I purchased. What is missing now is for the liner to be replaced because of the hole in it but let us see how that works out.

Original review: July 11, 2016

This is by far the worst purchase I have ever made in my life. I bought a pool with them on June 3rd, 2016. My installation date was set for June 27th but a 3 days before my installation date they call to say they do not have the pool wall nor the liner in stock but they can send a standard steel and different liner but I declined and said "I'd wait". They changed my date for July 3rd and when looking over the products I purchased I saw they sent me the wrong liner. I went back to the store furious and they said they would send one in for Monday so my date was changed once again. After having my date changed and waiting for said liner they call to say it'd be another two weeks. Upset I said to forget it and just keep the regular installation date I will go get my refund. Later that day I get a call informing me my date was changed from July 7 to July 25th since I have requested to wait for the liner.

I told them I never agreed to the change, I'm keeping the liner and I do not want my date changed given I've been pushed back 3 times. They managed to set me up for July 8th. Installation date finally arrives and the sand box was built by the previous installer who could not finish because he said we needed 40 bags of sand. We paid him for some of the work he did and the new installers came and they were upset because we had already paid 300 to the previous installers and so they used none of the 40 bags of sand because they said it was unnecessary when in reality they were being spiteful. They set up the pool and the pump and informed us the pool ladder would be an extra 150.00 dollars if we choose to have them set it up. Of course we declined and so they left. The following day the pool is set up and we turn on the pump and the installers did a terrible job and the water was leaking everywhere.

I called and they said they could not have anyone there until Wednesday and I was making the call on Monday. By the time the pool is set up summer will have been over. In all honesty terrible customer service and terrible products. I extremely regret this purchase and everyone I speak to will hear of my experience with Island Recreational. I truly hope they go out of business for all the customers who may have gone through a terrible experience and to save those who may end up in their path. There are so many other pool places we have now come across and strongly regret doing any and all business with Island Recreational.

Factual basis uncertain

Purchased a pool with "free installation" from Island Rec in late May. Free installation does NOT include the price of sand, delivery, filter installation or salt generator installation or the ladder assembly. What a joke. After scheduling 3 plus visits, having the installers be RUDE to my 71 year old mother, (White Glove Pool Installation - nasty) and haggling with customer service reps who said things like, "we hear your type of complaint all of the time" I truly believe that Island Rec is operating a bait and switch business.

They bait you in with the advertising of "free installation" and then all of a sudden you are paying for things and having to do things (like cart away thousands of pounds of soil yourself) and assembling a ladder. None of this fine print was gone over with me at the time of purchase which is unacceptable. The extra money spent on sand, land removal, filter assembly and install, salt generator and install as well as the ladder assembly reduce any benefit of their so-called "free installation." Their customer service reps refuse to give me managers names or provide direct phone numbers. All calls go through the call center with ridiculous wait times. I will never use them again, have no faith in their business practices and will be reporting them to the BBB as well as Nassau County Consumer Affairs.

Factual basis uncertain

Bought a whole pool and filter, and salt system, and August 2015 the pump only lasted one month before broke. Went to the Deer Park location they told me to use. They would swap it out in the store when I got to Deer Park location with the Palm. They told me I had to go to Massapequa to get the pump replaced. When I got to Massapequa at 5:15 PM they told me that they were closing soon and they could not help me. No one knows what they're doing. Their poor customer service and their products are junk, not built to last.

We are just opening our pool today and one of the solar heaters blew the line. Of course, we were five days out of the warranty. I brought the heater to Matt, store manager, and once he saw that I was really just out of warranty, he got a new heater for me. I'd really like to compliment Matt for his initiative. He was cool and calm on a brutally hot day with lots of rude and demanding customers (not including myself!) Please make sure that Matt knows I greatly appreciate his effort. Keep up the excellent work.

Island Recreational Company Profile