Currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New York

4.1/5 (238 ratings)

About Island Recreational

Island Recreational offers a variety of pools, spas and quality supplies to suit your needs. With customer service being a top goal, we strive to provide our customers with care and maintenance advice through our White Glove Pool Service. We currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island. We pride ourselves in the best selection at the best prices and are happy to answer any questions you have on your new products and supplies.

Island Recreational Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?

Original review: July 27, 2020

This company is awful. We ordered a pool robot cleaner in the beginning of July. We called daily after the date it was supposed to be shipped (July 22nd). It has been 5 days of non stop calling and no one can seem to answer the phone. After getting the run around from their awful service and never being in touch with a rep, I decide to take the one hour round trip to the store myself. Once getting there, I see four people at the register who seem to be doing nothing (which is strange because the call line said they are "SO BUSY").

These gentleman inform me that they do not have it in stock nor do they any type of robot that cleans above ground pools in stock and that they will not have it until maybe August 25th, and that I should just trust them and do this one hour round trip again and hope it is there at the end of August. NOT TO MENTION EVERYONE CLOSES THEIR POOLS LABOR DAY SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING THIS FOR A WEEK! They also refused to refund this and it cost $450!!! What kind terrible scam company is this. Do not ever go here. They are just trying to take your money and pretend that their customer service is too busy to answer your call so that you cannot get your refunds for products they claim to sell but do not possess.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Ordered filter and pump online in May. Website said fulfillment mid June 2020. It is now mid July and regardless of how many emails or messages I’ve sent or attempts at phone calls I have not received any replies. They already have my $540.00. I would just be happy to get a date I will receive my filter and pump. Or refund my credit card. Half my swim season is over at this point.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I purchased a saltwater system On 7/23/20 that does not generate chlorine and reads wrong salt levels. The manager stated that theses units are defective and reads 1000 ppm of salt higher than it is. So the unit can not produce chlorine. I have documented all testing of water that backs up my review that the salt ways salt generator does not work. How can they get away with selling a non working product. The product had no support number or address. This is a scam and I don’t want others buying this problem. They will not replace the system which is 6 days old.

I have to add chlorine every day as the unit does not produce it. The salt tests at Island Recreational cannot be trusted. One day my salt level is 3660. The next day it’s 4360. How? Unit does not produce recommended chlorine. Please investigate this practice of selling non working salt generators. On top of that they knowingly sold me a pool not made for salt water. The pool is 5 yrs old and completely rusted. This pool has become a liability for injury. Please help!!!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I purchased a $600 pool ladder a month ago. On the website it said it would be in stock the day after I ordered it. I still haven’t received it or an email letting me know what is going on with my order. I’ve already been charged for it. I’ve emailed and called so many times and they don’t respond.

Resolution response: June 27, 2020

I went to the store and they set up the date for 7/6. I then received a response via email with that same date about an hour later. I hope they come! My suggestion, make a delivery date right then and there if you buy a pool.

Original review: June 27, 2020

I am having the same problem as everyone else. I wish I had seen these reviews before buying a pool from them. I bought an above ground pool and paid in full. They said they would call me in 48 hours with a date for survey and delivery. No one ever called. As I looked over the paperwork again, it says that I need to call to get a delivery date. So I've been calling and calling....everyday, all day and NO ONE ever answers the phone! So I called another number and that lets you leave a message. Left several and they never called me back.

I emailed them, no response. Not even an automated response that they received the email. Went to their Facebook page and emailed them from there, no response. I tried the chat but it is automated, not a real person and it just takes you in circles to no one. I am heading back to the store today, but from reading these reviews, it looks like I won't get anywhere. I understand a delay due to Coronavirus, but if you are that busy, then hire an extra person or two to answer the phone and return emails. Do NOT buy a pool from this company!

Original review: June 25, 2020

I had my pool/heater installed May 2020. It is now June 2020 and my heater is already broken. I have been calling for about 4 weeks now, only got one response and had HVAC company come to me to tell me there was a leak in a pipe. Even they couldn’t get in touch with Island Recreational to get further instructions. I call daily and can’t get through, yet they still show their commercials on tv selling their products. Take care of your current customers that have paid in full!!!

Original review: June 25, 2020

I pre ordered a pool vacuum online. They would change the estimated delivery without notifying me, they did this several times to where the expected delivery date is now a month past the original delivery date. They stated it was due to the COVID19 pandemic. I understand shipping has been affected by the virus but it's the end of May and other companies are delivering faster. I contacted their customer service dept via messaging several times for a delivery date. The first response was polite, the second was not so nice. I was frustrated but polite. Their response was to cancel my order and to pick it up in store. They said I was abusive. I only asked for a delivery date several times because I wanted the vacuum before July 4th.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I purchased a pool in February and paid in full. They were supposed to install it in April and due to the pandemic they pushed me back to June 1. They told me June 29 and they called back and they told me June 15. I have contacted the installation department several times for the last two months. Never received the phone call back. I’ve left emails and been to the store multiple times. No one can seem to help. I know times are tough right now but at least reach out to your customers and respond to their voicemails or emails. It’s so disappointing considering I praised your store and service. I let the store know that I had an autistic child living with me and much needed the pool. The store Told my husband and I that someone would get back to us right away and that was last month. I went to the store again and they said the same thing but they keep advertising about pools to the public but no one’s here to help you.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Purchased a pool 4/30/20, told survey would be 5/22, delivery 6/5, installation 6/9. Of course no survey on 5/22, not even a phone call. After 2 days of calling, finally reached someone who said survey would be done 6/5 with delivery. 6/5 came and went with no delivery. Another 7 hours calling and multiple emails, finally got an email from Chris saying delivery was changed to 6/6 and he would get back to us with approximate delivery time. It is now noon on 6/6 and still no call or email with delivery time. No response to my emails. I think I made a BIG mistake choosing this company to purchase a pool. Maybe I need 7 on your side!

Original review: June 3, 2020

Ordered pool on 2/8/20. Was suppose to be delivered in May and then was told on the phone and in a voicemail it would be delivered on 6/2 and installed 6/5. I have tried contacting them several times but get no reply. Went to the Massapequa store and was told “not my problem”. I would never ever do business with them again. We are an essential worker family and I thought ordering a pool that early even before Clovid 19 occurred they would do as they said and deliver the pool.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Purchased a dark pool liner late February 2020, first payment, second payment 30 days later. Was told liner was in stock by sales manager. Store website showing liner available. (Not true). Went to pickup at ware house, with receipt full payment in hand. A lighter but thicker was offered. (Not taken). Back ordered original dark liner. 30 days later no liner. Wanted a complete refund, was told 10-14 business days check will be mailed. (only excuses). After the 16 business days (no check), was told check will be in store in two days. 2 days later received a phone call saying check will be in store between 6:00 - 8:00 PM. Arrived at store 6:10-15 PM (No check). Said check was en route. Waited another hour. From start to finish, 92 days later and still no replacement liner. To rate this matter (NO STARS) will gladly go to the mom & pop pool shops in the area!!!!

Original review: May 28, 2020

My wife and I recently purchased a pool and paid in full. Scott, who was the sales rep that assisted us last Thursday with everything and said we would get a receipt emailed to us and the company that is going to survey the area would call in 48 hours to set up an appointment. That was nothing but lies. My wife and I have left numerous messages on the phone line no one now answers, I messaged them on Facebook and Instagram and still have not received a reply. It is so sad that in times like the ones we are in, there are still companies out there trying to take advantage of their customers. I hope they read this because soon enough the charges will be disputed and the BBB will be notified, and my business will taken elsewhere. Please steer clear of Island Recreational, it has been nothing short of a massive headache dealing with this company.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I purchased a pool package over the phone and was told I would receive an email confirmation with an itemized receipt within 24 hrs and someone would contact me to schedule a survey of my yard. It’s been over 2 weeks and I have heard nothing! I call several times a day and leave msgs, tried to chat on the website which just sends you in circles. They debited the money right away but I have no way of knowing if I am actually getting this pool or if it’s a scam. If I don’t hear back this week I am reporting them.

Resolution response: June 11, 2020

Thanks to the manager at the Deer Park store who said he would have them come back and correct the problem w/ skimmer leaking and missing screws. The skimmer was defective and that's why leaking so bad. They replaced with new one. If only they would have answered my calls for the 3 days I tried reaching them with no callbacks. Pool is good. Now pleased.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I had a pool I purchased from them installed by them. The installation was poor. They came at 4:30 and finished in the dark. Next day I found they left screws out and the skimmer is leaking bad. Found screws around pool which I had to put in. Called them many times. No call back. Emailed. No response. Should have listened. People told me they have good prices but customers service stinks. They are so right. Been a week. No call back.

Original review: May 22, 2020

We purchased a pool and paid in full before the closures from the pandemic began. They delivered the pool a week before what was our installation date and we had the sand we needed delivered. The date came and went with no one showing up or calling. When we finally reached them they told us they were not allowed to do construction at the time, so we were stuck with parts of a pool and sand. Now we are trying to confirm the new date which is supposed to be next week and cannot get a hold of anyone.

Original review: May 18, 2020

We bought a liner replacement for our above ground pool on 12/19/19. On my receipt it says that my pool is 52 inches high, which it is. They sent someone to measure the pool to double check, that man said the pool was 48 inches. A few days later a man and women knocked on my door and said that they had to verify the size of the pool. I went with them and told them that the pool was 52 inches high; they said no, 48 inches. I have the original receipt from when I bought the pool and it says that I bought a 16 by 24 by 52 inch pool.

On May 13th 2 guys installed a 48 inch liner. We filled 1 foot of water that day, then 1 foot on the 14th, as instructed. On the morning of the 15th we had less water in the pool and a huge puddle outside the pool wall. I have called and emailed with zero response. We went to the Deer Park store twice where the manager, Andy, told me that there was nothing he could do to help me as we were in an "epidemic" (his word not mine) and I should call the governor! What kind of customer service is that? Now we have a flooding backyard and a pool that we can't use! This a warning to not use Island Recreational for installations! They do not stand behind their work!

Original review: May 15, 2020

Updated on 05/23/2020: I ordered and paid in FULL for a pool 12x 18 With installation included. This was March 17. Now I am being told they don’t have the heater or ladder. I have to DRIVE to their YAPHANK location to PICK UP the pool if I still want it installed on May 28. No one answers any phones, emails or chat. I am a single parent and they have mislead me and others. They are still selling pool, heaters and ladders and lying to the customers about the delivery dates and stocks just to get you to give them your money and after you do they tell you the nonsense that's all your items are out of stock.

Why steal money from us during this tough time. Just tell us that things are out of stock before the money is exchanged. I have emails, phone records of me calling. I am out of money. It's going to cost me more than $200 to rent a truck pick up the pool. I am out of a heater for the pool because they dont have it and now no ladder. Island Recreational the least you can do is call me!!!

Original: They keep changing the deliver appointments. I am spending money to extend my permits. Taking days off to wait. NO ONE ANSWERS THE PHONE!!! Or chats or installation problems!!! It is unacceptable to move people appts in short notice.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I have purchased an above ground pool in Feb 2020 and paid in full.. Due to the pandemic the date of installation was delayed and postponed to June23. I received a call on 4/22 that they wanted to deliver the pool and leave it in yard till June. I tried calling and left multiple messages to speak to someone and left multiple emails regarding the situation and have had no success. I have no response and I am concerned about all the money paid or may have lost...

Resolution response: April 10, 2020

After posting this and sharing my comments with their company they called back and honored the original deal and apologized for the misunderstanding.

Original review: April 10, 2020

I reserved their Big 18' pool package ($799) on 4/9/20 via their website. It said it would be held for 48 hours. I received a call from a salesman named Bill. We discussed the package and I asked if I could callback to order after I measured my yard. He said yes as long it was before 6PM when they close and I would have to make the purchase. He also explained that I would be calling into their system and should leave a message mentioning his name. I called back at 4:20PM and left a message. I then called back at 5:20PM and left a second message. Overnight the promotion changed to $999.

On 4/10/20 I called and left another message and then finally resorted to entering another request on their website. I then received a call from a person claiming to be their Massapequa manager. He said the owner would not honor the $799 since the sale ended overnight. Needless to say this is very poor customer service and business practices. My wife and I chalked up to a warning that we probably avoided bigger issues with them down the road.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

On Sunday I spoke to IR about a pool installation. I asked to call me back on Monday. No call in Monday but between Tuesday and Wednesday they called me 14 times, no message, just harassing calls. When I could answer the call on Wednesday afternoon, Gwen said she didn’t call and blah blah blah. IR really has earned its horrible reputation.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

The salesman Anthony was very helpful- he assured us the heater was in stock and we could have it delivered by Thursday 8/15/19. This was okay- we wanted the pool ready for an 8/24/19 event. While checking out we tried to verify the delivery date- another salesman- unnamed- said it would probably be a "week and a half". When I protested that the other salesman said it would be Thursday this week- he said no all deliveries are on Friday. Anthony told us all deliveries were on Tuesdays & Thursdays. The unnamed salesman said they just give "estimated delivery dates, that the warehouse would call me with a delivery date.

Then reading the paperwork they gave us it clearly states that the customer must call to set up delivery or no delivery would be made! So I called and was told that a delivery could not be scheduled because the item was NOT in stock and they were waiting a shipment from China! The customer service rep (who refused to give her name or employee ID number & stated that there was no supervisor in that office for me to speak to) sent an email to the store asking them to call me. She would divulge however that she worked in "headquarters."

We are heading back to the store to get a refund. By the way this is the Deer Park store on Commack Rd & and they don't take incoming calls. If you call the store number you get the same undercover customer service rep who has no supervisor. This is not the first bad experience we have had at this store; I have no idea how the other branches operate. We spent $2,000.00 today and are completely aggravated; I don't know why we keep trying to have a normal retail experience here but those days are over. I only gave it one star because this site made me- zero stars is more accurate.

Original review: June 26, 2019

6/25/19 5pm. It took me 23 minutes of calling and getting disconnected to actually get connected. Told the girl I needed to purchase a power supply for my robotic pool vac. After trying to find it with the manufacture with no success and now the fun begins. Apparently you can’t just call the repair center. You have to go through the call center. So I tell the girl I was told in a store to contact the repair department to see if they had any or knew which one would be compatible with my older model vacuum. She got back on the phone and told me they don’t sell them, so as I’m trying to explain to her OK then I need to know if there are any compatible since I purchased them in her store (she so nicely pointed out that she didn’t sell them to me) she starts arguing with me about not listening to her. They don’t sell them.

“Why am I arguing with her” because yes at this point I’m starting to get a little frustrated and finally getting a tone in my voice (absolutely no foul or disrespectful language), “I haven’t even told you what kind of vacuum I have.” When I said that to her she got more nasty. I asked her if I could speak with someone else, she told me there was no one else. When I asked to speak to a manager, she said she was the manager and hung up on me. So now it’s a game. I called her a total of 25 more times of that she picked up once and held the phone. And in the background I can hear a guy ask her, "What’s that?" She said “It’s a customer and I don’t understand why they just can’t Google these things.” TWO more times she picked up the phone and yelled into the phone GOOGLE IT!!!

The final time she answered she put me on hold. I was on hold for over 40 minutes before she hung up on me, enough time for me to get ready and drive to the Medford Long Island Island Recreational who were amazing!! The kicker of the story is I got the box I needed at Island Rec in Medford and there were seven in the Massapequa Long Island store so not only do they sell them they had them in stock. So much for customer service. Island Rec you need to check your customer service reps. Apparently they need re-training on the service part of the job. I’d like to add normally when I run into people in a bad mood like this I assume they’re having a bad day and I let it go but I get the impression this rep has a bad day every day. She had no issue hanging up on me 22 other times and screaming into a phone "Google it." And question, who do I report is to? Nobody because I have to go through her at the call center!!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased a pool ladder at the end of the season (thinking I was getting a good deal). The box was nicely sealed and had packing straps on it so I had no reason to look at it. To my surprise when I opened it this season the ladder was clearly used (had dirt and algae on it), I went to return it to Deer Park where I purchased it and all they could say was, "It was not returned within the 90 day return policy". I was not looking for my money back, only another ladder. Clearly it must be their policy to sell used items because of the great job they did at making the box look brand new.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I don't even want to give them one star. Purchased the higher end pool liner with the lifetime warranty from Island Recreational, installation day came I had to work so the wife stayed home to meet the installers (White Glove Pool Installations Inc.). Drained the pool and left behind about half an inch of water and half a bag of leaves in the pool bottom which the installer hit me for an extra $300 to remove. The manual they give you at the store has it @ $150 max. Then he said I had an issue with the return which had corrosion and had to be repaired, another $50 and it's still leaking.

Called the store today to complain. Spoke to some guy Chris, no help whatsoever. Spent roughly $2000 on this liner. You would expect to receive better cooperation than what I got. Island Recreational and the installers they contract are the worse. Strongly believe this guy took advantage. Should have stayed with Leslie's Pool Supplies. Definitely taking Island Recreational to small claims.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

My experience with this company was terrible. I had bought my pool (Above ground pool) in cash, had them install it and had one problem after another. 1st one gave me the wrong liner then told me they would credit me back $200. Never received the money. 2nd thing the first time they put the liner on they messed it all up and had to come back fix it which meant I had to drain the pool and start over again. 3rd thing is on the 2nd time coming back to fix the liner they punched a hole into the frame of the pool which now I have a piece of sharp metal pushing toward my liner. Told them about it and they now tell me I need to call the manufacturer to see what they will do about after them telling me to send them pictures of the damage. So at this point I now have to take them to court. Great experience. I give them a big fat 0 on doing anything correctly. Never got the energy star 2-speed rebate from PSEG for $150 either.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My mother swears by this company. Only place she will go. Says the people there are great and nice to her and they always help her... always have what she needs. Never overbearing or pushy. I think she has a little crush honestly... lol. Thank you for keeping mama happy.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Such courteous service and always willing to answer any questions you may have. I'll definitely book future trip through them and refer all of my friends and family. They'd have an amazing well planned out trip and chances to win wonderful giveaway prizes and trips for their family. Hope to take my next trip soon.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Quality items at a great price! I love purchasing summer fun items. Looking to buy an above ground pool soon, I know where to shop now, Island Recreational. They also carry some very unique inflatable items for lounging, some I had never seen other than at a Island Recreational store.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

We spent over $6,000 on an above ground pool from Island Recreational in June 2017. The pool came in, the surveyor came in, painted the pool on my grass where we spoke about where it should go, no issues found. Should have known cause he did not know any of the codes for Town of Oyster Bay on pool and fence lines, that I was going to have issues. Pool installer came in and that cost me another $650.00 not counting the two yards of Sand and bricks that I had to get to my house prior to installing them. Installed the pool, Had my electrician come to install power. He informed me that they would not be able to sign off on the electrical inspection due to power wires too close to the edge of pool, had PSE&G survey the wires and was told that the pool was too close to wires and would have to be moved.

While we waited for PSE&G we called Island Recreational's customer service number and spoke with someone there and I assumed that we had 60 days to return the pool, that was my mistake cause I should have read the entire contract and had my electrician there when the pool was being installed. I even mentioned it to the customer service person that I was talking to and he agreed with me that they would assist if we had any issues.

My wife and I took the PSE&G letter to Island Recreational and asked to speak with a manager, and told them that the pool had to be moved. Manager took letter and papers for about 30 minutes, came back and informed us that it was not their problem or issue, that it was up to us to get that done and when I asked to take the pool back he informed me that since the pool was already installed and filled they no longer would take it back or credit. We should have known the issue prior to having the pool installed. Hope my issues prevents or assist aggravation to any shoppers of pools on what they need to know when buying it from Island Recreational.

1. Know all your town codes as well as PSE&G before you purchase the pool, installed or even delivered.
2. Surveyors from Island Recreational do not care or know any of the town regulations, they are paid by the hour and most likely just told to paint the pool as they see it and make sure they inform the consumer/buyer on the sand and bricks they need to get before the pool is installed.

3. Shop around and make sure that you have options or you have other companies that you can use or compare prices.

My overall experience with Island Recreational is very bad, parts were back ordered and we had to call to get them instead of them calling us that they had arrived or that they had other pumps to exchange it for. Not one time did I not have an issue with them. I should have listened to my neighbor that Island Recreational was unreliable and not good to deal with. I will get the pool moved and my electrical issues resolved with PSE&G, and if I have issues will get someone other than Island Recreational to look at it and fix it. Will no longer give them any business. Luckily we have other pool companies like Leslie's or 3 Brothers if we need anything pool related in the future. Very disappointed!!!

UPDATE ON 11/14/2017: Received a call from Kemp the installation manager from Island Recreational stating that since had written a bad review online that he would work with us to correct this issue or get us a refund, he waited a couple of weeks for us to decide whether another pool can be installed (Smaller), after we decided that we would get a smaller pool replacing the one that was installed. After talking to Kemp and realizing that all expenses outside of the new pool would be on us, we opted for a refund.

We received a call from Kemp letting us know that the pool had to be taken down, picked up, and delivered back to the store before a refund can be issued. On October 14, 2017 the pool was taken apart and placed on the side of my house, waiting for Island Recreational to pick it up. After several calls to Kemp, received no callbacks and the pool is still sitting on the side of my house since October and have not heard from anyone at Island Recreational. I have include some pictures of the pool that sits on the side of my house, thank goodness for fences.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Prices are cheaper than other big chain stores. People are very pleasant and there are many locations making it easy to find one in your area. Next time I need chlorine or phosphate free, I will definitely go there rather than a competitor.

Island Recreational Company Information