Call toll free
4.42/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

More than 50 U.S. Blue Haven offices offer inground custom designs to meet your design and budget preferences. Local designers provide free in-home consultations and will illustrate your backyard dream with 3D virtual reality software. Best of all, our state-of-the-art SmartFeatures™ make pool ownership easier & more economical than ever before. In the last 20 years alone, offices across the country have successfully completed nearly 80,000 new pools.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

374 Blue Haven Pools & Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

A guy from Blue Haven came and took measurements. We gave him some general information, and he already had a scanned copy our property’s survey then he came and met with us, and he already had an idea of what he thought would give us the biggest pool for our yard’s size. He explained it to us, and walked through the yard with us, and told us where everything would be. With the computer that they had, we were able to really see what it was gonna look like when it was finished including all the stonework and decking. After we okayed the plans for everything and agreed on a price, construction started three weeks later. We paid half down and they hooked us up with someone that was able to walk us through financing the other half.

Peter, the foreman, kept me informed on what’s happening. He came and marked the project off, then a few days later, came back and dug the hole, which took longer than one full day. Then we got a lot of rain for a week. They came once it dried up a little bit and pumped out whatever remaining water was in the hole. Then they went ahead and did all the rebar work in it, and then sprayed the gunite which had to cure for seven days. Once that was finished, they came and started doing the plaster, then they did the tile work which went on for three days. They then did the stonework around the edge and the decking. The whole thing took 27 days to be 100% complete.

We can program the pool’s pump to run on high during the day and low at night, also program the lights to turn on when it’s dark and off when the sun comes up. We also ended up getting a robot that cleans the pool, and I will never be without one because I don’t wanna do it. Also, we were surprised because we didn’t realize how big and deep it was actually gonna be once it was sitting in the ground. So, it was better than what we originally had imagined.

Considering that they extended my patio and the pool, the price I paid for it wasn’t bad. I have a second patio now and a sidewalk completely around. Other places just wanted to drop a pool in the ground with no patio and it was $2,000 more than what I paid for this one (including the robot). So, for the value, I don’t think you could really do any better. They were great, I’ve told other people about them and I’d use them again.

Get expert buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This is not something I usually do. However this incident is being reported all the way up 4 months ago or so. My husband and I received a quote, we signed a contract and scheduled to have everything start by November. We needed to get some financial in place and the salesman agreed to work with us. Contract was signed and all was good. We reached out to Blue Haven Pools two weeks ago. The salesman is no longer with the company and so another salesman came through to “finalize” things. We were told most of what was promised would be worked on and some other things needed to be discussed with the owner.

The owner was to stop by and review the property etc. We get an email today stating they “can’t” get their equipment through and they are voiding the contract. Just like that. The owner, never walked the property. Nothing was discussed. Of course we are taking this to our lawyers. Glad to see other have had a good experience. We didn’t get the same. It’s a shame.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Blue Haven reps were great. They came out and looked at the backyard, then we discussed the shape of the pool. They sketched it out for me, we changed a few things, they came out and once the land was cleared, they spray painted it on the ground, dug it out, and went from there. We paid upfront. They said, the construction would take four weeks or a little over four but it took just shy of five weeks. They spray painted the design on the ground, dug it out, tested it for a minute to see if water was gonna fill up from the bottom.

They built the sides up from around there, did a rebarred frame, then the gunite. And then, they added the jets and finally, the water. We also have colored lighting that I can change with a remote that we got extra, a tanning ledge that was built into the pool, a fountain jet type thing on the tanning ledge and a hole for an umbrella. The construction team was fantastic. The project manager was great. He responded to text really quickly or called if I needed anything. The team themselves were also friendly if I had any questions. Blue Haven is easy to maintain. It's great and I would recommend them to a neighbor.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I googled pool companies and talked to several. Blue Haven seem like the best one for the right amount of money. I did a lot of research so I told them what I wanted and I asked them how it works. Chris, the salesperson, came out and gave us a rundown. He did a bit of a sales pitch as to why Blue Haven is better than others. He answered my questions as far as using the pebble texture versus the plaster and other things like that. The process was painless. I ended up going with a basic pool and got it for about what I wanted to pay. I drew out the pool that what I wanted and I ended up cutting some corners of my deck to save a couple of bucks. I paid for the pool in installments.

I just went with the most basic design - a rectangle, deep in the middle, shallow on the ends, a hot tub that’s level with the ground, centered on the corner of the pool. And, it’s salt water. The construction was quicker than they estimated it. They came in, had a ninja with a bobcat and cut the whole hole without overcutting anything. It was done in a day and they came out and re-barred it. Then they shot it and let it cure a little while. And then, they came out and run the plumbing and the electrical. The whole process was painless and it exceeded my expectations.

We were hoping to have it ready for my oldest daughter’s birthday. They broke ground early March and they finished right around the end of March or early April. And then it sat there running with water, curing and getting right of the breaking in period for a month before her birthday. So, it all timed up well. They did everything well. However, their electrical contractor wasn’t as good as the rest of their contractors but they remedied the situation. They ended up installing a panel on the far side of my equipment making it hard to get to. In order to fix that, they gave me a little touch panel to control it. So, no harm, no foul.

Jacob, their construction manager was very accommodating. However, there was some miscommunication between me and the design team, and the construction team as far as where the hot tub was. I watched them and I said, “Hey, you need to move that about a foot this way.” And they did it. I had them do a brick coping because it was cheaper than doing bullnose concrete. And then, I had two and a half feet of deck. It all looks like one piece of deck. They were gonna short me about a half foot of deck but I noticed it and they had no issues with it. They were very professional.

I’d recommend Blue Haven and I’d insist that they request Jacob as their construction manager. Out of everybody I worked with, he was my favorite. The sales guy was accommodating but after he sells the pool and it went to construction, he was hands off. But the construction manager was very upfront and helped out when he could.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have some friends in the construction business and one of them recommended Blue Haven because they were always on time and they would get the projects done either on time or ahead of time. He said Blue Haven isn't the cheapest in town, but that if I want any projects done in time, Blue Haven is a better company to go with. And that was what we experienced. Blue Haven reps came over and showed me what possible designs they had and what they have done in the past. Based on the square feet of my backyard, they showed me what options would work with my style of home and we landed on a design.

The design consultant was a really nice guy. But when it came down to selecting the fixtures like the tiles and colors, they left it completely up to me. I understand that but they could have given me some guidance as to what they typically see with what customers pick or what makes a pool look refreshing or the kind of combination people will go with if they want more of a darker looking pool. I had to pry that information out of the designer to the point where I had to tell him that I’m not in the pool business. I don’t know what works or what’s customary and what's the best combination in terms of color of the pool with the color of the side tiles. I needed a pool built and whatever color combinations they think work and don't work well, I wanna know.

The financing team told us what they are accustomed to doing and how they set up. We found a better financing option outside of Blue Haven and the other company that we went with for financing changed their policy to fit Blue Haven a little bit better. But Blue Haven helped arrange approval and they took care of all of it.

Also, the contractors that they hired to do the excavation were pretty quick. But they showed up ahead of schedule and we weren't prepared to receive them. All the paperwork with the association was fine and they knew they were coming, though. We just didn’t know the particular day they showed up and Blue Haven didn’t know either. I know the construction game is kind of crazy, but we’re paying a lot of money and we have to arrange our personal schedule to let guys come in and do their thing. Blue Haven could have better control of updating and letting us know who was coming when and who needed permission to get in our gate. The guys would just show up and I would have to ask what was going on. It was a little bit challenging on that side.

Coming on to the end when it was time for inspection, that was when we got an idea. We were told the inspector was gonna come and what he was gonna do and what he looks for. The guy that did that with us was pretty good. I just wish he was confident telling us that each step along the way. It might have been a hassle on their part or more energy for them on their side but it would have made a world of a difference for us being the homeowner knowing what was coming next. But in terms of coordinating the progress of it, Blue Haven did a pretty good job. After the excavators, the rebar guys came in and did their thing quickly and then, the concrete guys blasted all around and did their testing. I was really pleased with the coordination of who came one after the other. There was never a mix-up.

We had a hurricane came through in the middle of our construction but Blue Haven got the project done. It was delayed by a couple of days with getting the contractors to get the equipment back out on site. But we didn’t sweat it at all and it wasn't much compared to what I've heard other people experience when a storm comes through. When I shared that experience with a couple other friends, they were shocked because everybody else in construction felt significant delays. I was pretty impressed that Blue Haven was all ready to get back on site and continue and keeping the project going as quickly as possible. The construction process took 9 weeks and everything was according to schedule. And the pool absolutely met our expectations. It's a custom, freeform design which is a hybrid of a bean shape but not a complete bean shape. Also, we added the LED colored light and the heater.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Haven Pools & Spas?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I sat down with someone from Blue Pool and told him how big I wanted the pool. We discussed some ideas and he moved the stairs around the way I wanted them so having the pool designed was easy and simple. We could have actually build the pool in two weeks. But we had to wait for the licensing and the permit process. It took too long. I signed the contract in October and they told me it was three months to get the pool be the done. It wasn’t done until March. But that was the only downside of the whole thing because once they did the work, it was quick. I have a semi-circle ozone pool that has a shelf with a bubbler on it. It makes a nice sound. It’s beautiful. I was happy with the construction and quality of the work. Blue Haven was easy to work with. They listen to you and they're responsive. When you have an issue, they’ll come out and fix something.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Blue Haven's design process was well. They got a great sales person that had the ability to draft the design up electronically. John, the design consultant was fantastic. Construction with them was fair which took six weeks. The tile and coping took the longest to finish but everything else was smooth. We had a standard 15 by 30 rectangle pool done and a hot tub. Just clean and simple. For the most part, my experience has been pleasant. They just need to focus on the education of how to maintain the pool, how to keep it pretty and clean and not destroy the plaster. That would be important because we've already ruined our plaster in the first year only. Nonetheless, I'd definitely recommend Blue Haven Pools & Spas.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The guy we dealt with from Blue Haven, Dominic, was great. I was hesitant to use a national franchise pool company but I knew someone else that was using him and it worked out for them. It also worked out for me. I bought a new house. When I sell my house, I will use him again for another pool. Once we got the permit, some guy from New Jersey came with a big truck. He laid the construction materials on the driveway, dug out the entire pool in one day and put up like a wood frame around it. A few days later some guy came back and did all the steel. The plumber came next and the pool was done in eight weeks. Everything was very smooth.

I have a rectangular pool with an automatic cover. It has a hot tub spa in the front where you walk in and steps on the half of the pool to go in and then there’s a hot tub on the other half. I have a salt generator and we have those lights that change colors that I can control it from my phone. When you look online, the reviews for Blue Haven as a whole, suck, at least in the south, like Texas and those states. But this guy, Dominic, has been in the pool business for his whole life and has been in Blue Haven for like 15 years and it has been great. So maybe it’s franchise issue that people have issues with Blue Haven. I didn’t have one problem with anybody or with corporate in Pennsylvania. Everything was perfect. I don’t think I could have gotten a better pool experience.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Many staff changes. Construction was delayed numerous times for various inexcusable reasons. Pool design was different than final construction, with no given explanation, apology, or plan to correct it. The hired contractors did a poor quality job in many areas, including leaving grout and concrete splattered. The paver company sent two different batches of colors, and both were laid down. Many punch list items are not being taken care of in a timely manner after construction. Many of these items would not have happened, if a foreman had been at the job site overseeing the project, as promised at the first visit.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

The design process with Blue Haven was really good. The reps at the office got things scheduled and everything was really good. They helped arrange a pool loan for me. We didn't financed very much of the pool and covered a lot of it with our cash but that's been fine. The process was quick and we were able to get the ball rolling, getting everything paid off. We really like to get that loan paid off quickly. The interest rate isn't very favorable, but it's the way we had to go at the moment, so it worked.

There were countless of people coming back in our backyard in various stages of our pool construction and everybody was friendly and scheduling was on-point. We started with the construction before the big storm Harvey and finished it up a month after Harvey. We were at the gunite stage when the storm hit but everything went well. Jacob, the project manager, did a phenomenal job of keeping me in the loop with scheduling, walking me through all the process as it was happening and addressed any and all concerns. My experience couldn't have been any better and Jacob had a lot to do with that. He was really great to work with.

We do have one water feature but it's just standard coming up the hot tub and into the pool. It was a pretty design and it works in our backyard. I also have one smart feature wherein it runs the pool on my phone. However, I've changed internet provider and I had trouble setting that up so I haven't messed with that again, but everything's electronic through the board and we have a hand-held Hayward unit and it all seems to be working fine. If a really good friend or a family member would ask me about Blue Haven, I would be real honest with them on what they need to know to possibly get a better job done.

I've had the pool for about a year now and it has been a daily thing to take care of. And it cost a lot more every month to take care of it and it requires a lot of time which is a lot more than I ever expected. I don't regret putting the pool back there, but you gotta realize you're calling somebody after their first year of reality. Nevertheless, it was a good experience. I'd recommend Blue Haven as a pool company, but you'd get what you paid for. The price was good compared to other folks but I wonder sometimes if the quality suffered a bit because of it.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I desired to have a pool built in a new home that we purchased and I went through the local area looking for people that build pools and do estimates. I had about eight of them show up and they gave me quotes. Then I met Gary, the guy from Blue Haven and right away, I pretty much decided he was gonna be the guy based on how he presented himself. I had other people do graphics and he did just scale basic. We live on a severe inclined hill and all our properties slant downhill at quite a pitch. We had two options and one of them was to put the pool down near the middle of the property where it was less severe and the other was to put it where an existing large deckhead was attached to the house. He gave me quotes for both and we went with the one that was closest to the house.

While I was talking to Gary, I could tell that he builds pools and has for a long time. He came out of Texas originally as far as building pools and it was easy to relate to a man you knew you were getting the straight scoop on everything. It was the same way through the whole experience, too. He was very upfront, very easy to get along with, and he did what he said he was gonna do, which in this portion of Alabama where I live is a rare stone. He's not a salesman and he gives you a quote and he stood by the quote even though they ran into some difficulties down the road. Nothing that was extensive, though, and it was just that you never know what you're gonna do until you start digging in some places. So, he was fabulous.

I paid Blue Haven in cash for the pool and it was laid out by contract that the payments would be made in quarters based on where things were at a particular point in time. Gary stayed right in the contract as far as when things were due and not until such work was completed. Then, the first part of the construction process was getting it scheduled. Like everybody else, Blue Haven depended on other parties to do things and it was related to weather conditions as well. We signed a contract in May and even if we agreed on when the work would start, they started later than they indicated. But there were reasons for it and it never was a problem. Gary gave us a rough five to eight weeks and the actual time they began the work was within what I consider reasonable timing.

Our pool is a regular one that is 6-feet deep and is approximately 30 x 15. They estimated it to be around 12,000 gallons based on where we hand the chemicals and it has stone coping that they cut here. It also has a swim-out and stairs in one end. Other than that, we didn't go for anything fancy. It's all Haywood stuff through Blue Haven but we looked at saltwater versus fresh water and Gary moved us right into where we needed to be focused which was the pool that we got which has fresh water. A salesman would have talked you into whatever he thought you were after. But Gary was not like that. He's also available to us at all times and he was even here last week. When there's a problem, he's the one we talk to.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We are very happy with our pool. It’s the first ground pool we’ve ever had and it has been with us for almost a year. The pool has some of the smart features. Blue Haven has always been good and attentive when they're coming out. I met a superintendent who was very knowledgeable and there was also Barry who kept the job going really good when the pool was installed. We have referred our neighbor to Blue Haven and he is getting a pool put in as well.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Some of the coping on my pool popped off. I called Blue Haven to ask them what to do exactly since I'm gonna fix the issue myself as my warranty has expired. But Blue Haven took care of the issue quickly. They sent people out to fix the issue for free. A couple of Mexican guys showed up and they didn't speak much English but we understood each other well. I was just a little concerned because we had been tending storms and it started raining when they were covering their work up and working at the same time. Other than that, I would recommend Blue Haven. They're fast and they do a good job.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Blue Haven came out because the pool pump had broken and we have had it for less than a year. We told them that it was broken because of the timer. It wasn’t turning on and off anymore. But the person who came out the first time looked at the timer but didn’t pay attention to what time and day it was. He said that we didn't have the timer correct and he didn’t fix it. So we had to call them back and tell them that they just weren’t paying attention and didn’t actually look at it properly. It was more of an annoyance that they came out like that. You'd think they would have paid attention to it. But once we called them back, they did come out a second time and got the issue taken care of quickly. They realized it was broken and replaced it. But they were great with the pool installation when they put it in a year ago and I've recommended them to a couple of people.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

The pump went out and the service guy who came out did a great job. He did safety stuff, making sure the electricity was off before he was working, and got right to it. He didn’t waste time and he diagnosed where the problem was. It was a loose wiring which he fixed and took care of for me. It was weird that a wiring would come loose but I guess there was vibration and it did.

I've had the pool for about a year now and I've been recommending Blue Haven to folks. We opted to go for the cement pool and they did a great job. When they were building it, I was worried because they brought in a bunch of different specialty people. I thought maybe it would be the same crew who comes and builds the pool but there was a bunch of different people who came. But every single one of them knew what they were doing and got on it. And Manny, the owner of Blue Haven here in Kansas City, was very good.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Blue Haven was real easy to work with and Jamie was a big part of that. He's really good at what he does and has a lot of good ideas. We had an idea then we worked with him. He drew it for us, put his perspective on it and told us things to do or avoid. Working with him was probably the best part of the whole process. The design was a lot of fun. But aside from that, their fees and the contract were also really transparent and thorough. I didn’t feel like there was anything we didn’t know about. That made us really comfortable with the whole thing. With some of the other contractors that we talked to, the cost and certain pieces of it weren't as clear as they made it.

The construction was really quick too. 47 days after groundbreaking, we were putting water in the pool. They had the perfect weather and we were also in a good location. We weren’t too far from their main offices so it was really fast. They broke our sprinkler lines in the front of the house a few times but that was just a part of construction and they ultimately got those fixed.

We love the pool. It's exactly what we had in mind. We've got the LED lights in the hot tub and in the pool. We've got the Hayward system so we have the app on our phone to control everything. We also have a waterfall off of the hot tub. It still got pretty hot but it helps in cooling it down a little. We also did a really dark plaster finish that we like a lot.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Everything went smooth in the design process with Blue Haven for the whole pool. The construction process took about two months. They put in a waterfall and it had a leak, which they came out and fixed. And then we've had the decking cracked but they've said that it's not under warranty so I just cleared up those things. By now, I've already sold three Blue Haven pools.

Original review: July 22, 2018

We really liked the process of designing our pool with David and things also went real well in the construction process. The people from Blue Haven were upfront in saying that they had to take down the fence, that we had to design the path and do a tree removal, and that the dirt had to go. They were clear about all that stuff. The construction was done in the winter so it took a long time but the weather wasn't that big a problem. We just had to figure out how we were gonna take care of our dogs while the gate was open.

Some of the warranty items could have been more clear though. But it could be that there was an overload and we missed it. I've read more things that I wasn't planning on reading beforehand and it turned out that some of the warranty items were covered for the first year and it just barely lapsed. Nonetheless, we had a great experience with Blue Haven and we now have a beautiful pool. We have colored lights and my favorites are the bubblers and the waterfall.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We live on the Texas coast. I started talking to Blue Haven in April about designing a pool for me. They decided and did a computer-aided drafting model and sent it to me, which was awesome 'cause then I felt like I got a feel for it. They started digging the pool in July. And in just a week, they had it all dug. A couple of weeks later, they had it granited and tiled. They had put in all the concrete around the pool too. And then we had the hurricane hit August 25th. Luckily, they didn't have pumps in yet. When we came back from the hurricane, it was filled with water. And we had an eel, seahorse and schools of fish. But we did not lose one single tile. We did not have anything stained too. Everything was perfect, except for the sea life in it.

So, I told them to finish it. They said, "Are you sure? Are your neighbors gonna be upset?" Because all of our houses got flooded. I said, "No, just go ahead and finish it, so we have at least one thing done in our house." So, they came back and finished that. Dwayne, the owner of the Certified Pools & Spas in Corpus, came out the day that they let people onto the island where we live. He was at our house checking on us, and not just the pool, but checking on us to make sure everything was okay. So, they were awesome.

If it was not for the hurricane, the pool would have been done in six weeks. But since the hurricane, they had it done by September. The pool is kidney shaped and it's 25 x 9.5. We have the shower end that has little bubblers that come up. They're two bubblers and it has two umbrella holders as well. We never really use our backyard 'cause it's just so hot. But now, we have a pool, almost every single day we're in it. We are outside 75% of the time now. My kids are swimming like crazy. They're five, so they swim constantly.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): What the Blue Haven Pools salesman (Gary) said, what he drew on paper, and what we ended up with the Project Manager (PM) (Larry) and Construction Manager (Josh) overseeing, was different. DON’T APPROVE ANYTHING OR PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE A 3-D DRAWING WITH DIMENSIONS AND FEATURES CLEARLY ANNOTATED.

When we decided get a pool, one of the builders we were interested in talking with was Blue Haven. I actually spoke with the same salesman on the phone in the Fall 2016 and he gave me a quick run-down of the process of him coming out and sketching out the design and then going back and developing a detailed precise drawing with all the specifics annotated on it (just like the other pool companies I contacted). Unfortunately, the salesman required both my husband and I to be present and we weren’t able to meet with the salesman until early Feb 2018. At that meeting, he walked us outside to discuss where the pool would be located (he stated it would start at 14’ from the back porch) and to obtain some quick measurements for his conceptual design he sketched out and provided to us on engineering drawing paper.

He stated that a detailed drawing would be provided for our review before the project started (website called it a 3D drawing). The price for a 16’ x 32’ pool with a 3’ to 5’ depth was $32K. We asked for a 3’ x 6’ depth which added $900 more ($450 per ½ foot). I asked if I could take 5’ from the length and make it a 6’ wide sun shelf with a smaller length without adding cost and he said yes. We understood that the pool would now be 16’ x 27’ with a sun shelf on the side (i.e. the sun shelf would not be part of the 16’ x 27’ pool dimensions as we were moving it from the end of the pool to the side of the pool upon his suggestion - otherwise I would have left it on the end).

When he was done, I approved the “conceptual drawing” and took a picture of it so I would know what it was going to look like and would be able to match it up to the detailed drawing. We also discussed a 7’ spa with circular seating (which I specifically wanted) for $12.9K with a waterfall; decking $1690; Ozone water system $995; smart bot $750; and three shooters/sprayers $750 for a total price of $49,985.

When I signed the original contract, it was understood that the sketch provided by the salesman was not a precise drawing and the follow-on 3-D drawing would be the print-to-build document (there were no dimensions on the sketched design; the tic marks didn’t represent/match up to the dimensions he said and there was no “scale-to-drawing” information so I had no reason to believe this was the “final” drawing and the final dimensions would differ from what he had said). We never discussed the grade of the pool... he just said they’d make sure it looked nice and would blend in with the rest of the backyard (note to everyone, make sure “blend in with the rest of the backyard” is accurately defined and drawn. Otherwise what you think “blend in” means and what he thinks “blend in” means may be two entirely different things; there’s about a 2-3’ drop off).

Meetings at work prevented me from being able to be present at the initial layout/start of the pool and my husband’s schedule allowed him to take my place. I thought he would be presented with the detailed drawing (since no one went over one with me prior to the layout), but since the PM did not go over a detailed drawing with my husband, he thought that it had already been presented to me and that they were working from the detailed drawing. So, needless to say, the PM did not provide nor discuss a detailed drawing with my husband during the initial start of building the pool. We were told later that because the salesman was the number one salesman, he was not required to provide a 3-D drawing.

At the initial meeting with the PM, the proper tools were not available to layout the pool. It was decided by the PM and his crew to use a tape measure to mark and then spray paint the outline of the pool. After the outline of the pool was drawn, my husband discussed with the PM the sun deck width and pushing out the width of the pool as it did not look like it was large enough to be a 16’ wide pool (length was ok). My husband informed the PM that I would make the final decision on the sun deck and width when I was able to review it when I got home that evening (give final go-ahead). At that time, my husband signed/initialed the “Pool Layout and Excavation Checklist & Acceptance” (in good faith) with the verbal understanding that there may be an adjustment after I reviewed the layout that evening.

My husband was also informed by the PM that we needed to remove any tools, equipment, chairs, etc. in the backyard in order to prevent the workers from using them and possibly breaking them or losing them as they weren’t responsible if that happened. My husband requested a schedule/timeline for the project (when each step would occur), but was only given a time of 6 to 8 weeks. The “Pool Layout and Excavation Checklist & Acceptance” form referenced an “Advisory Booklet” of which a note was made that it would be sent to us. It said “PLEASE READ as it contains VERY IMPORTANT information.” I had to request it twice before it was finally emailed to us on 7 May, just prior to plaster application. This document referenced was actually titled “Steps to Your New Blue Haven Swimming Pool” – it would have been helpful to have had it prior to the start of the project even though it contained events w/ no dates.

Since my husband had signed the paperwork, and the excavation crew hadn’t shown up, the PM said he did not have to be present so my husband was not home during the excavation phase of the project that took place that initial day. When I arrived home I was surprised to see the excavation had taken place as I had understood the PM would check with me to make sure the layout was indeed correct. I reasoned that the PM had probably already gotten the excavation crew scheduled so he went ahead and dug it up thinking that if it wasn’t correct, they could come back and redo it the next day. I quickly noticed the sun deck was not the appropriate size and the pool was not the appropriate width (my husband noticed the equipment location did not appear to be where it had been sprayed and the spa looked as if it was closer to the porch than where it was sprayed).

No one took pictures of “the before” so we had no proof – a mistake I did not make again. Take before and after pictures of EVERY phase. The pool was actually 11’ from the back porch vs. the 14’ we were told by the salesman. So, I waited for the PM’s call that evening to check with me to make sure it was indeed the correct size. He never called so I reasoned that he would call the next day for sure; however, when I got home the next day, the crew had already put in the rebar and by that time, I had a sinking feeling that my 16’ x 27’ pool was now a ~12’ x 27’ pool (first check was due at layout so I now had no leverage). This is when I started attempting to get in contact with the PM to discuss the issues before anything further was done.

Multiple attempts for a week to contact the PM and have him stop the process long enough for him to meet me at the job-site to take a look were not successful, and needless to say, the workers continued working on the project without the issues being resolved. The PM was in south Florida for the first 5 days and then possibly in the hospital for the next 3-4 days during this time. Either way, the PM clearly wasn’t present on the job-site and therefore unavailable to discuss the issues in a timely manner. As this was “THE most important step” you would think he would want to make sure it was done right prior to anything else taking place but the PM, by his actions of rushing the rebar, etc. and not just double-checking with me, clearly did not do his job... and that’s how the nightmare started.

I finally decided to contact the Construction Manager via email (after the gunite was sprayed) and requested compensation for the smaller size pool and he came out to take a look at it. I expressed my disappointment at the fact that what the salesman told me I was going to get, what he sketched out, and what actually was constructed was different and the response was “you approved the layout” so the pool size and shape is “as is”. He informed me that the pool width included the width of the sun shelf. I disagreed with him, but his mind was made up and he was not open to any more discussions as far as the size of the pool was concerned. I kept my emotions intact and did not argue with him any further. I discussed with him other issues that we noticed after the plumbing was installed and the gunite was sprayed.

According to the sketched “design that we approved”: 1) the lights were not in the correct place; 2) two of the shooters were not in the correct place (salesman never drew out the third shooter); 3) the loveseat was not the correct shape; 4) the equipment was not located in the right place and it was ~ 1’ below the pool level; and 5) the spa did not have seating all around which is what I wanted. One item that was not shown on the sketched “design that we approved” was the existence of a promised waterfall.

I was told that: 1-2) the lights and shooters were in a better spot; 3) the loveseat shape was such that it allowed for easier cleaning; 4) he agreed to raise the plumbing but it was never placed/moved to where the sketched “design that we approved” showed it was supposed to be located (and where my husband thought it had been sprayed - where the heater sits is not level and the PVC pipes are a little wonky - not straight); and 5) having seating all the way around in a 7’ spa was illegal - you had to have two drains in the spa and they had to be so far apart and seating all the way around would not allow for the correct distance between the drains, so the seating had to be stopped on each side of the waterfall (the question is: did the salesman not know the law concerning spas when he drew a 7’ spa with around-the-spa seating or did he make a mistake or did he do it on purpose to make the sale to me?

Or did he think the PM would catch it and correct it on a 3D drawing? who knows? ); they did add a waterfall but I think it was because they realized that they cheated me but wouldn’t admit it, so it was an attempt to appease me (by the way, it took three times for them to get it done right). The Construction Manager basically was telling us why they did it the way they did it, but all of those items were deviations from the sketched “design that we approved” and we never approved them. I listened to his explanation nodding; however, my acknowledgement of his explanation as to why they deviated from the “design that we approved” should not have been interpreted as my approval of the deviations after the fact…

According to the contract any changes were supposed to be in writing and approved by both parties prior to the changes. That never happened so asking forgiveness instead of permission is not the proper way to do business. It would not have made any difference if I had told him flat out that it was not acceptable as they were not going to break up the gunite and redo the electrical wiring and plumbing and tear up the spa and make it an 8’ spa (the PM had already told me they couldn’t change it so I knew no matter what the Construction Manager said, they weren’t going to change it). So, while I did not ask them to, I believe I was well within my legal right to do so as technically, the pool was not constructed according to the “design that we approved” and there are no approved change orders.

However, having to go through a legal battle that could be tied up in court for who knows how long was not something neither my husband nor I wanted to have to go through so we took the higher road and did not force the issue. We had another issue with the decking (was not placed according to the “design that we approved” – took them six times to correct as they had to correct it), so with one more feeble attempt, I sent an email to the Construction Manager requesting that they correct the pavers and again, provide equitable compensation for not fulfilling their promise of building a pool with the appropriate dimensions and design features. The Construction Manager replied standing by his comments that we approved the layout and about why they did what they did and that he thought I had understood and was ok with it and he could not understand why I would be entitled to any compensation.

At that point, my husband said it wasn’t worth suing over; he just wanted to get it finished so we could be done with them and end the nightmare. My husband and I each have over 30 years in Program Management/Engineering (retired 30-yr AF/Civilian), so we are well aware that no project is perfectly run; however, coming home and wondering what was done incorrectly every day the workers came is not acceptable. While their paperwork says that “There is no reason to take vacation days while your pool is being constructed. We adequately supervise our work. It is not necessary for you to supervise our work or even be home during most of the construction process!”, that was not the case with us and our PM. I shudder to think what it would have looked like had I not only noticed the issues but took an active role and forced the corrections.

It is interesting to note that the PM never saw anything was wrong until I pointed it out to him. How he did not notice the equipment being one foot below the pool level is beyond me (erosion would have washed it away). It appeared that he was waiting to see if I “caught” anything otherwise, he said nothing about things being done wrong. It appeared that the only time I saw him was when he came to get the check. Towards the end of the process, he showed up a little more often when I told him the “corrections” (and there were quite a few others that I did not mention) were still not “corrected”. One of the most irritating habits he had was “just showing up unannounced”.

I missed two of my online classes because he showed up unannounced at 5:00 instead of calling to set up an appointment or arranging to meet with my husband. There were numerous times that he would say a crew was going to be there on such and such a date and three days later, they showed up. Unless I texted him, he would never let me know that they weren’t coming as scheduled. Sometimes I believe he knew they weren’t coming but most days, I don’t even think he knew they never showed up until I told him. We have a dog and we pinned him up so it was very irritating to have to pin him up for days when it wasn’t necessary.

All of these issues could have been avoided with a 3D detailed drawing and a PM that did his job went over the detailed drawing with exact dimensions and design features annotated with us prior to layout. Had the PM done his job and checked with me to see if the sprayed layout was indeed correct (like he did with the other steps afterwards, of course, I did not give him the other checks until he had contacted me and everything was corrected), the nightmare could have been avoided.

I realize that I paid $50K for a 16’ x 27’ pool with a ~ 6’ x 14’ sun shelf but received a ~12’ x 27’ pool with a 5.5’ (at the widest width – average width is 4’) x 14’ sun shelf and I am not going to get any refund on it; however, if I can prevent anyone else from having to go through the nightmare we had to go through, and be cheated out of 4’ of pool width, then this review was worth all the trouble. I don’t know if it was just negligence on the part of the PM or if it was the ‘ol bait and switch con, but I will use the analogy of “paying $50K and expecting to get a “long bed truck” and getting a “short-bed truck”, that’s just plain bad business.

I believe we did due diligence from the get-go but when the PM was informed by my husband that there was a problem and he in good faith signed the layout approval with the verbal stipulation to contact me as he thought there was a problem, and the PM did nothing about it/to correct it, that is an unethical business practice. EVEN IF my husband didn’t say anything, it was the PM’s responsibility to clear what was done with me prior to going onto the next step (at least that’s what the brochure said they would do), since from the time they sprayed to the time they dug could have rendered an issue.

Using a drawing layout with no dimensions or scale annotated on it, especially after promising a 3-D drawing, in my humble opinion, is also unethical (I liken it to a drawing on a napkin) while using it as a conceptual design is ok, you wouldn’t build a house with that kind of drawing. Whether these are illegal actions, well, that is for lawyers to decide.

While it “looks” pretty, I’m not impressed with quality of workmanship and most importantly, it was not what I paid for. Only time will tell if it is indeed built to last. While it’s a “pretty new short bed truck”, it’s not the “pretty long bed truck” I paid for. Needless to say, I would not recommend Blue Haven Pools but if someone insists on going with them, insist on a 3-D drawing with dimensions and features clearly annotated and go over it with a fine-tooth comb PRIOR to any money changing hands.

Resolution response: Aug. 16, 2018

Ray ** and I have resolved our issues. Our pool is complete and we are enjoying it to the fullest. We will have to invite Ray over for a drink!

Original review: July 11, 2018

We chose Blue Haven for the ability to build the pool in 2 Phases, so we would be swimming Memorial Day weekend. We signed our contract and gave a deposit on 8/21/17, today is 7/11/18 and we are not swimming. Jeff, the head of construction can never give a straight answer. We have been asking for weeks when our blue stone capping for the spa and wall would be done. We get one answer saying, "We need to have it templated. The guy will be out Thursday or Friday." No one shows. Call Monday. Ask again. No response.

Call again Tuesday and they get back to me saying, "Oh it doesn’t have to be templated. We can get it in a day or two, however the installer isn’t available until the 18th." Mind you I’ve already told Jeff and their team that we had the stamped concrete guy lined up as well as fencing install scheduled for that date. This is totally UNACCEPTABLE! We are approaching a year from contract signing. Meanwhile I have my landscaper and lawn restoration men waiting, and rearranging their schedules. At this point I will never recommend Blue Haven to anyone.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Gary from Blue Haven came out. We went over our different options and the pros and cons of each option. He looked at our backyard and took the measurements. And then we decided on what type of design we wanted - how large and all the specifics. He also started off saying, "How many corners do you want? Or how many loops do you want?" We have a pretty big backyard, so we decided to go larger for our pool. He started drawing it out. And I said to put a curve and we ended up doing six. We also have hot tub jets in the pool. He was great. We could also text Adam, our superintendent, at any time. We pretty much knew before they were gonna come out. We ended up starting two weeks early ahead of schedule. They called us and said they had something open up. So, they came.

However, we had an issue when the guys went to go dig. They ended up hitting an electricity line, so it knocked out power to our house. We were without power for five hours. But Adam was all over it. He came back. He drove 30-40 miles away 'cause he was at another construction site. And we didn't pay any expense. They paid Gulf Power. They paid for everything and had everything reinstalled. Adam was pretty much like, "this is our fault." It also seemed like every Thursday, we'd make even more progress. They also said the construction process would take six to eight weeks, but it was done in four. So we were very happy and we are in the pool every day. My dog is also obsessed with the pool. She's in it four times a day.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We met with the owner of Blue Haven and gave him an idea of what we wanted for our pool. He spray-painted on the ground and drew the design up, but I changed that a few times, then he changed his plan accordingly and showed me what he came up with based on what I said. We love the pool design that we ended up with and we paid in cash for our pool. The construction process was the easiest and most flawless thing that I've ever done and the pool builders were great. They told me when they would start and who my contact people were. Then they started the construction and it was done, and it took no more than four weeks to complete.

Our pool is a free-form pool that's kidney-shaped, with a couple of extra curves. It's an 800-gallon pool and it's 42 feet long and 24 feet wide at its widest. We have a sun shelf, which is the only extra feature that we have. I love the tile that I picked. They did the tile on the stairs and I like that part of it too. We did the upgraded quartz. I also love the color which is blue speckled.

We've recommended Blue Haven to two friends. One has backed out of what they were gonna do previously because they had a bad experience with another pool company. Another friend went through with their pool company, but their experience was a nightmare. On the other hand, we've had a really great and easy experience with Blue Haven. They did exactly what they said they were gonna do and they were here when they said they were gonna be here. Plus, all the prices stayed exactly the same as what they told us these would be.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Blue Haven put in a new pool for us and it was a pleasant experience. The designer worked closely with us, came up with a concept based on what our demands and tastes were, and took into account our current architecture and landscaping. It was great. The construction was a messy undertaking but we knew about that and they were very upfront. Including the pool house which we worked with a different contractor for, the project was completed in over eight months. We broke ground in December then had water in the pool in August. We had delays due to weather, but everything was as expected. Also, the interactions we had with the construction team were all very positive. Our pool has seven LED lights and a spa overflow, and we enjoy the lighting, the hot tub and the heating control. We also have some smart features where we can control the pump and the lighting using a phone, making pool maintenance very easy.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Blue Haven's office is down the street from the house. They built our pool and it took them 10 weeks to finish it. The design process was pretty easy. We just went to the office and their rep explained what kind of pool should we have in the yard. They also helped us get a loan and we didn’t have any difficulties in that. Then for the construction, it went smoothly for the most part but in the end, it seemed like they were a little bit less on cleaning up and picking up. And we had to call them back to clean up some of the stuff they left in the yard. We hoped they'd do a little bit better to make it walkable, but they came within a day of us calling them.

We have the color-changing lights, which is my favorite feature, and a fountain in our pool. We also have the SmarPure and the UV. So far, maintaining the pool has been easy and it doesn’t smell like chlorine, so that’s good. All in all, everything went really well. They prepared us through each step and the timeline. When they finished the pool, they came out, gave us a kind of pool school, and went over everything. At that time, it seemed to make sense, but when it was time to do it ourselves, like when it was time to close the pool at the end of the season or to change the chlorine, it was a little mismatched. So they need to do that differently. Other than that, we'd recommend them.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Blue Haven has just been around forever. And I went with them because there were a few pool companies that didn’t get back to me. I also liked Bob’s ideas better and he was just really good to work with. I told them what I wanted and that’s exactly what I got. The construction process was great as well. The team was phenomenal too. I’ve never seen hard workers in my life. We were swimming in the pool in five to six weeks and it's a big pool and it has colored lighting too. Everything was done so perfectly and everything Bob promised, he came through with.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We had a new pool made by Blue Haven and it has special features like fountains, waterfalls and color lining. It's absolutely beautiful. Our experience with Blue Haven was excellent as well. They were great. They asked me what I wanted and I was able to have a design drawn like I wanted. And it turned out perfect and even better than I expected. The construction process was also organized. There was a construction manager that helped out and told us what was going on the whole time.

However, they did hit a sewer line. And every time I'd flush the toilet it would squirt out through the bottom of the pool before they finished the inside. And when you'd go take a shower, the water would empty into the bottom of the pool, and so that had to be fixed. So we had to get some other people in. But we told them that they could still use the lines we have. I have six sewer lines and so they cut through two of them and they said we didn't need all of them. And I was like, "What do you mean we don't need all of them?" "We just cut through them all the time." And I said, "You just cut through them and put the pool down and you don't close them up and, therefore, they still leak through?" That didn't make sense. So, that part I didn't agree with. So my husband just dug. They helped him to dig a hole. He finished it up and cut some stuff down to where it wouldn't leak. And they got it stopped.

We got the smart features in our pool and we absolutely love them. I also love my Jacuzzi. I got the whole pool covered too. They contacted some people from Pensacola, Florida, not far, and they came and did the screen enclosure. And it keeps the leech from getting in there, and so I don't have that much maintenance to do, which is really wonderful with the smart features. And the cover is amazingly low maintenance too. I'd recommend Blue Haven.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The design process with Blue Haven was very good. They came out and talked about the area we wanted and trying to give them an idea of the freeform we wanted to go with, and they did a very good job of showing us all the different options. When we went to the office, they were able to build the design out for us rather quick. We shopped back and forth for a little bit on the minor changes. And overall, it was good. They built it exactly how we wanted and gave us some good feedback. The design consultants were a couple of different people. Seth was new. He was informative, but not near as much as Mitch. Mitch was good. Once he got involved, you can really tell the years of experience under his belt as far as designing and the different options.

My experience with the financing team was quick and easy. It was a very fast process. Once everything was designed, financing was in place. The construction was a fast process too. They kept me in the loop on what was happening and when it was gonna happen. I was foreseeing quite a bit of delays in the beginning, but everything panned out well, weather permitting. I'm in the construction field as well, so I understand the weather has a big impact. The pool was a 100% in 30 days. There were a couple of cracked rocks, missing grout, but they were corrected within a couple of days. The freeform pool has a little waterfall that comes off the spa and a little 6 x 4 foot swim ledge, 3 foot deep, which is great for the kiddos. Blue Haven was a little pricey compared to some, but with the experience I've had and the end product I got, it was worth it.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We had a fiberglass pool in our first house with an independent contractor who contracted out everything. Luckily, that went well but we knew that there were lots of possible pitfalls for there are a lot of nightmares. We wanted to go with Blue Haven this time because they're a nationwide company and with them, we weren't as nervous as some local guy who may or may not show up to finish the job or do it right.

So we called them to come out to give us an idea of what we wanted and how it would look in our backyard. Their design consultant was great. We showed him a couple of pictures we've seen on the internet and he sketched out a couple of things. He made sure that we didn't have a pool that was too small or too big for the type of house and property that we have. After we said okay to the design, he took it back to the office. He sent an AutoCAD drawing and once we approved it, we moved forward with the process of building it. We bought a pool and hot tub and the only upgrade we asked for was the tile coping which was an extra charge. We went with chlorine.

They then told us to expect the construction to be about four to six weeks mainly because of weather issues. They came out and spray painted the area where they were going to dig. They told us in the beginning that they use a thicker type of rebar and use a lot more than other pool companies do. They didn't have any problems excavating and we were comfortable with the way they dug it. They were very careful about digging the lines for the pool and where our yard's sprinklers were. We were impressed with their electrical people as well. And throughout our anticipation, they understood and were patient with us. We were very happy and have suggested Blue Haven to a couple of our friends, one of which has just finished their pool with Blue Haven.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I’ve been telling everybody about Blue Haven Pools. The design process with them was straightforward. We showed up at the sales office and talked to the rep. He asked for the survey which I provided and he was able to pull up a template on my house and designed the pool itself. The design was nice and we liked it. I have the SmartLight and I can change the colors on the pool. It is also a salt-water pool and we have a weeping wall with a waterfall. We then filled out the paperwork and got approved.

Everything was supposed to start before Harvey but because of the rain, it was backed up for about two weeks. But after the digging started, it took about six weeks to complete the pool. I also met up with the supervisor before the construction started and he was always there every single time they had the construction team come over. He made sure that the whole process was going great and he always sent me pictures. If I ever had a question, I could text or call him and he was always able to answer the phone. Also, the construction team all seemed nice and they showed up on time on the day they said they were going to show up. They also cleaned up the whole yard whenever they do the digging.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Haven Pools builds and remodels in-ground concrete swimming pools and spas. Its offices around the United States have provided inground pools for tens of thousands of homeowners since 1954.

• Design and construction: Blue Haven Pools specializes in a full range of standard and custom designs with a wide array of features ranging from tanning ledges to infinity edges.

• Technology: Blue Haven’s private-label equipment line, SmartFeatures™, includes options like antimicrobial filters, handheld- and smartphone-compatible remote controls, water- and energy-efficient equipment and alternative water sanitizing systems.

• Licensing: Individual offices are fully insured and licensed to build pools in their local markets.

• Warranty: Individual offices provide limited lifetime structural warranties.

• Financing: To make it easier to pay for pools over time, Blue Haven offices help facilitate loans through a national network of home-improvement lenders and finance programs.

• Best for: homeowners interested in concrete gunite/shotcrete pools and spas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs