Call toll free
4.38/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

More than 50 U.S. Blue Haven offices design and build inground custom pools & spas to meet your style and budget preferences. Local designers provide free in-home consultations and will illustrate your backyard dream with a custom plan (in most locations, with 3-D virtual reality software). Best of all, our exclusive, high-tech SmartFeatures™ make pool ownership easier & more economical. In the last 25 years alone, offices across America have successfully built and remodeled nearly 90,000 pools! 100% financing oac.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I did a Google search in my area for pool builders. I called Blue Haven and Anthony & Sylvan, and had interviews with both of them. I felt like Blue Haven had a better shot at getting the timeline that I wanted. And I thought that their overall products were a step above Anthony & Sylvan's. We actually used the pool design of Anthony & Sylvan. But with the overall package, there are some stuff that are a normal product for the pool, Anthony & Sylvan charges you an upgrade to get it. Like just for instance, Anthony & Sylvan still uses the red brick around it for standard coping and Blue Haven does the bluestone around theirs.

The designer, Dave, was good. He was right on time with everything. He stayed involved until the pool was done. He came over our house a couple different times, we modified the original pool design a couple of different times, so he had to go back to the drawing board to make us completely happy. He was willing to do all that. He did a great job.

I could definitely see who was working by the hour. And the actual guys who dug the pool out did it in four hours. I had a six-foot elevation from top to bottom. So they put in a three-foot reverse beam wall and all that bluestone tile, like the coping and the diving ledge is all blue stone. We have a diving ledge that doubles as a waterfall. It took them four days to do the tile, whereas everybody else seem to be hammering through it. But the only real disappointment was the concrete guys. For the amount of money I spent in concrete, I feel like I was really let down. Considering I spent like $13,000 in concrete and got very little concrete.We had some cracks already, not even a year into it. And we have not gotten any response back from Blue Haven on that deal yet. I would have rather gone with my own vendor locally. That's what I would have done if I had to do it over. But that would be my one hiccup on the whole process.

I've got four steps on either side of the pool and it drops down in the reverse beam wall area and I got a patio right there. Some of the concrete of the steps was knocked out. It was cut at an angle, it didn't have a nice roll like you're supposed to on your steps. And they finally just came back one week near towards the end of the summer, and all they did was just put a layer of concrete over top of it and fixed the steps and put a layer of concrete over top of a couple of cracks, and it really looks god-awful now. If that was the way they were gonna fix it, I would have rather them just left it alone the way it was. Now, I got a bright white patch on my concrete and the steps is like bright white. And there's no finish to it. It's rough. It's pretty nasty looking.

And the pool school needs to be a little longer and a little more in detail, especially for a homeowner who has no experience with pools, which is myself. They should have taken a bit more time to show the pool equipment -- what needed to be fixed and what not to be fixed. It's hard to remember all that, or they could create a brochure or a teaching manual for do's and don'ts with your pool maintenance. I try to get Blue Haven to come out and go over a couple of things with me, and they told me they don't do maintenance work. They just build the pools. I'm like, "Okay. Gotcha."

I didn't realize there was a drain at the bottom where you could've drained it out. Now, they very well told me that in pool school, but when you're talking 25, 30 minutes on pool school for somebody who's never owned a pool, that's asking a lot for somebody to retain all that, when they're just excited to have a brand new pool. And another good example is that when we started the pool up for the first year. I had an acid bath done at the beginning of the year. After you start these pools up, you're supposed to take your filters out and re-clean them again like a week or two after you get them up and running. And then after that, they're pretty well good for all summer. Nobody told me that so my filter was clogged up and it shut my heater off.

I had to spend an X amount of dollars getting my pool water heated up. Nevertheless, I would recommend them and I would use them again to build me another pool. I would not use their concrete vendor. I would go a different route for that. But as far as like the guys who built the pool, did the tile and all that stuff, I got no complaints at all. They met or exceeded all of our needs.

Get expert buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Blue Haven's designer was great and he did what we wanted. We got a pool and hot tub combo from them with a waterfall coming off the hot tub into the pool.

They have a yearly summer huge print magazine at Blue Haven. We picked up one of those one time when we were in there, picking up colored tiles and stuff like that. That's when I saw that extra tile trim on the step. When I inquired about how much that would cost, it was minimal. 5 or 600 extra bucks.

So, I decided to do that. We also have an additional bond beam wall with a teared-up cascading waterfall coming off that in the center of the swimming pool. Additionally, we had pavers installed all around the pool instead of concrete. We also had a little trim tile added on the steps going into the pool and the hot tub, the seat and step in the hot tub as well as the swim out step in the deep end to help see where the steps were underwater. On top of that, we had multicolored LED lights put in both the hot tub and in the swimming pool.

During construction, we had a layout guy who was our main point of contact. Once the dirty work started to happen, then we got another guy who ended up being the main guy throughout the rest of the swimming pool build. We were dealing with Blue Haven often and with their landscape division called, Havenscapes. We did the pool, the patio pavers, huge pergola, and then additional landscaping sod, trees and shrubs, and lighting around that. So, we had a lot of different moving pieces going in and had typical weather delays.

However, it was disappointing that there were four, five or six days here and there when nothing was happening. During that time, they were waiting on the pavers and on the fireplace to get done. On top of that we had the pergola beams wrapped in concrete stone about 3 feet up to match the stone on the fireplace. They had two guys dealing with that. That took two or three weeks for them to build the fireplace and wrap the stone on the pergola.

We also had an extra 30-day delay because the month we were gonna get to meet with the Historic Board there was an ice storm in Oklahoma, and so, that meeting got canceled. The Historic Board meets just once a month and we went 30 days behind waiting on the next meeting to come around. Eventually, we got the approval and Blue Haven was gonna start the first part of April. However, we got delayed again because a teachers' strike made it impossible to get any kind of heavy equipment down the street to start evacuating the dirt for the pool.

As a whole, we were in a busy timeline. We signed the contract in November and they didn’t get started until April. We didn’t’ get the pool completely finished until the 4th of July. The aforementioned delays weren't in Blue Haven's control at all but then our pool build still went as well as it could have gone. They got all the issues handled and thus, I've referred them to several people already.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I looked at all the different pool companies within the area and my decision came down to comparing Blue Haven's quality to what the others were offering and from talking to people who received a pool from Blue Haven. My experience working with the Blue Haven designers went pretty well. They were very willing to help. But design-wise, with the way the concrete was laid, it had the water flowing towards the house and I wouldn't have tilted it that way. I know the water has to run away from the pool but I wouldn't have put it going towards the house. I would have slanted it back and away, towards the back ditch line that takes the water away.

They are probably used to sloping away from the pool. But the minute they started digging, a guy mentioned having gutters back there because the water was gonna run away from the pool. Obviously, they were acknowledging that it was gonna go up near the house. So I went and got gutters put in. I thought that would resolve the issue because that was what they said needed to happen. But lo and behold, that wasn't the end solution.

I told them from the beginning that I have a small little ravine that curves like a half moon shape. Basically when the water comes down from the house above me, it hits that little ravine and hooks around towards the back of the fence and down to the other yard. I didn't have an issue before the pool was put in. When I had it re-landscaped, I actually had someone come in and help me even fix that problem.

I think the problem is that design. There needs to be a little bit more attention to detail in the laying of concrete to figure out what would be the best angle to bring that water. They should be more engaged in that part. The price focused so much on getting a hole dug but to me, the water issue was the intricate part. I understand we're responsible for putting our yard back together, which I did. But at the same time, something that's gonna contribute more of a hazard that could be prevented should be prevented. But I'm also on the side of the hill. I'm not just on level ground so for what Blue Haven pulled off, they did an outstanding job.

We also had a little extra pad put in for our hot tub but they put the electrical outlet 2 feet in on the pad. I don't know why it wasn't closer to the back of the concrete. They were willing to work, drop it down and make it come over to the end of the concrete and go back up. But I don't understand why that wasn't done from the beginning. Still, those were my only two really big issues. Everything else was fine and the design was accurate. The construction also went smoothly, minus the rain. We had a lot of rains so those delayed the amount of time it took for them to be able to get it done. But other than that, I don't have any complaints.

I prefer the size of the pool and its depth. It only goes 6 feet and that helps with circulation. I've had no issues with keeping the pH or the chlorine levels correct. The pool also has lights that you can set. It also has the ozone system and it has the timers on there to be able to set it for however long you want. Those features are helpful for operating the pool on a day-to-day basis because I don't have to worry about it. I do also love the feature where if it's gets near freezing, the pump will automatically kick on. I don't have to go over there manually and turn on the device everyday. It's very convenient.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I found Blue Haven through the home magazine that they send through the mail. I took a chance to get some quotes between them and some other pool companies. And I was able to work with them the best out of everyone. Everything went really well with with the designer. I called them up, set up an appointment, gave them a brief idea what my wife and I were looking for. He was able to create a design and he sent it our way for approval. He was very helpful in working with us, creating some of the different design shapes, ideas, and adding sun shelf to the pool, which was definitely much needed. Overall, it was a good experience with Tom.

Our pool has the control panel that was put inside the house. And it also has LED changing light type of illumination. The pavers that we picked were a nice touch. They came out really nice. There were two sun shelves in the pool. So, we’re glad we went with two instead of just one, and getting an umbrella in each shelf put in as well. It helps out because we got a little one-year old. On the actual construction process, I was really impressed because my neighborhood had a bit of pools being put in around the same time. And for the most part, everybody has been consistent in the sense of getting their yards torn up to have the tractors drive through. I’ve seen some that tear up the sidewalks really bad, and then, from what I’ve heard, it’s up to the homeowners to repave it or re-cement it. But luckily, we didn’t have to worry about it or touch it or redo it. So, at least the construction process was nice and clean.

Everything went great. The only thing that took a little bit of time and I’m still waiting on is having a couple of these pavers replaced on the pool decking. I’ve been promised by one of their office ladies of what and when it's gonna happen. That timeframe came and passed and being busy with work, by the time I got back, they were like, “What are you talking about?” I even had one of the guys come out there to look at it. One of the project managers pointed out to me what they recommended being replaced and taped off. So, luckily, I finally was able to get a hold of someone who did come back out and looked at it. And then they agreed with me that they definitely will get replaced. It's just a matter of getting the pavers ordered and for them to ship, which I understand could take about three weeks.

I would recommend Blue Haven to make sure that someone like the lady who promised me a timeframe actually follows through with her promises and actions of what will be taken care of. Also, they could make sure she’s more informative with some of the customers in regards to construction. I got delayed about two to three weeks with the pool construction because when I called her and asked, “Hey, when can I get my fence installed?” And she said I should wait on that and she'd let me know when I could. When I called her to ask those questions, that would’ve been a great time for her to say, “Okay. We’ll let you know when. Just make sure you have your permit pulled, everything done, ready to go for the fencing.” I was under the impression that they already did it or had it taken care of. But they didn’t.

I got the quote and the work schedule, but it was just a matter of getting that permit which delayed us about two to three weeks. And that would’ve been helpful if she told me when I first called her. And I would’ve had that done, so that when she gave me the okay to have the fence installed before they could finish the pool build, that would’ve been very helpful. Other than those, I absolutely recommend Blue Haven.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We worked with Gary from Blue Haven and his pool plan went beyond my expectations. Our backyard is greater than a 45 degree slot. So, he had to build that for one side of the pool, and then we have the pool on the main level, and we have a stacked-stone wall for an upper patio. He had them do the stacked-stone where it wasn’t just flat, the rest were stacked. It’s beautiful. But we had problems with the stacked-stone wall they were doing it. The subcontractor guy who had come out to do that wall had gotten three quarters of the way through and had to go get another piling of stones. But it was a different color. They did the whole wall, and when I went out after they had left, it was quite crappy.

I called Gary, and he came out and told me he was gonna deal with it. He had the subcontractor come back out, and take that rock off. They got another batch of stones, put it in, and left. I went outside and called Gary, and told him that it was not the same stone. It was more of the same color, but the other stone was more square and flat, but this one was more rounded. You could tell where there was different stones. Gary told me they would get it done, and the third time was beautiful. But the pool was not finished. He kept telling us we would be swimming by Memorial Day. But last spring was very rainy, and we had some crappy weather. We weren’t in by Memorial Day, then it was to be in by the 4th of July. We weren’t in by the 4th of July, but we were in on the 5th of July.

The pool is free-form with two sheer descent off the rock wall, and then the spa has an overflow into it. It’s so relaxing and beautiful. It’s a heated pool, and when we turned the heater on for the first time in September, I had to call Gary on October 2nd because the heater was leaking. He told me that it was under warranty and gave me who I needed to call to come out and fix it. When I called that group out to come fix it, the guy said it was absolutely a malfunctioning piece of equipment and it’s got to be covered under warranty. When I took it back to Hayward to deal with the warranty, they said it was not covered because I had too much chlorine in the pool and it ruined the heater. But Gary said that was not right so he came out, and he worked on it.

He bought the new piece and got someone to install it so that I didn’t have to deal with anything, other than I had about a month where we were arguing with Hayward and trying to get my heater fixed. Gary said he would handle Hayward on his own. He did an amazing job with the pool. He’s gonna tell you what needs to be said, whether you wanted to hear it or not. He tells you exactly what’s gonna happen, what’s gonna work, and what’s not going to work, which I greatly appreciated. I would work with him again. I would recommend him.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Haven Pools & Spas?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Our pool's construction went smoothly and the only delays we had were weather delays. However, as soon as it was filled, we started having problems. The gunite that went in before the plaster was poured in the pool was very crumbly. It was cracking and bubbling up. We had to beat them up to get somebody out to fix it. I had to call the home office in California and Jeff was extremely rude, unprofessional and unhelpful. I will not refer anyone to him. The time span between the initial problem and the 100% fixed and refill was about three months. It wasn’t a great experience.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Blue Haven's designer was great. They made a couple of suggestions on the design we originally had that fit great. Plus, they had a software that the designer did that demonstrated what the pool would look like in the space that we had. Visualization really helped and it sold us. The construction of our pool went as planned and on schedule. There were no repairs after it was put in apart from a light that went out. When that happened, Blue Haven's crew came and replaced it as soon as I told them. I recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Signed contract 11/17. Began work 1/18. "Finished" 6/18. Over one year later and we are still trying to get them to finish work on 5 items--sinking pavers for the 2nd time being the most dangerous concern and priority. Being reimbursed over $700 is another critical item. The staff turnover has been incredible in the 2 years we've been dealing with them. Luckily they're not just a small local company so we should be able to get things done. Hopefully (for their sake) before someone gets seriously injured!!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

The Blue Haven designer I worked with met my expectations really well. I got a standard pool with a hot tub and the construction took a little longer than they had estimated. They took about three weeks extra to finish it. Then during the summer, the breaker kept tripping on the poolside. I had to keep going out there to reset it every day. It took them about a month to fix it. I've recommended them to quite a few people.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I liked how Blue Haven Pools had steel walls instead of plywood since I've had heard horror stories about plywood rotting. Blue Haven actually poured concrete at the bottom when other companies did not. They were more expensive, but I was looking at long-term money. I’d rather spend a little bit more now and not have to spend later. I went with them and the people who did the deck did a good job. However, I was disappointed that they left a drainage ditch instead of taking the drainage pipe all the way to the street. When I called them about it, they extended it to six feet. Still, the pool I got looks good. It functions well and there is a lot less chlorine usage compared to a standard pool. My operating cost is gonna be less. I would recommend Blue Haven. Other people should make sure Blue Haven gets their yard right though at the very last payment.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Haven Pools builds and remodels in-ground concrete swimming pools and spas. Its offices around the United States have provided inground pools for tens of thousands of homeowners since 1954.

• Design and construction: Blue Haven Pools specializes in a full range of standard and custom designs with a wide array of features ranging from tanning ledges to infinity edges.

• Technology: Blue Haven’s private-label equipment line, SmartFeatures™, includes options like antimicrobial filters, handheld- and smartphone-compatible remote controls, water- and energy-efficient equipment and alternative water sanitizing systems.

• Licensing: Individual offices are fully insured and licensed to build pools in their local markets.

• Warranty: Individual offices provide limited lifetime structural warranties.

• Financing: To make it easier to pay for pools over time, Blue Haven offices help facilitate loans through a national network of home-improvement lenders and finance programs.

• Best for: homeowners interested in concrete gunite/shotcrete pools and spas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs