2. Homeowners

4.5/5 (101 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About Blue Haven Pools & Spas

More than 50 U.S. Blue Haven offices design and build inground custom pools and spas to meet your style and budget preferences. Local designers provide free in-home consultations and illustrate your backyard dream with a custom plan — in most states, using 3D virtual reality software. Blue Haven’s exclusive, high-tech SmartFeatures™ help make pool ownership easier and more economical. In the past 25 years alone, Blue Haven offices across the U.S. have successfully built and remodeled nearly 90,000 pools. Blue Haven also arranges 100% financing with approved credit.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Haven Pools & Spas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Haven Pools & Spas?

Original review: April 22, 2021

There are a lot of people locally who have Blue Haven or who have used them. I got two other quotes from other companies and they were $15,000 to $20,000 more expensive than Blue Haven. And then when I was doing my initial consultation with Gary who I've had the pleasure of doing work for on a separate side business that I worked with on his personal property, he explained to me that they are able to keep prices lower than other competitors because they do so many pools, which made sense when looking at the bottom dollar of the quotes. You had to submit your survey so Gary had some ideas based off that about what would fit with setbacks as far as county code. But we have a slope in the backyard that we had to work against. He came out, looked at it and said, “Well, these are the ideas that I came up with. Obviously, they can be tweaked, but this is a starting point.”

He already came prepared with five separate ideas as far as designs. And we went with the one we thought was most practical and cost-effective because you're talking linear feet. So if you want the pool to be two feet wider in the center, your linear footage as far as material, goes up, therefore your price goes up. But he already had an idea of what would fit and what the trend is, and kept that in mind with our budget as well.

We had done over the off-season, so we had Christmas, New Year's and Thanksgiving. The timeline got a little pushed to the right with Christmas and New Year's. And we had some weather issues, which they can't control. So it took a month longer than we projected. But I didn't care as long as it got done right. It's not like I would swim in the pool that wasn't heated in February. I know some people were bothered, but that's what happens. If you’re third in line as far as first come, first served, you're going to be third in line. So when everything gets pushed to the right, you also get pushed to the right. But my project manager was awesome. I became friends with the guy. I couldn't have a better relationship with Blue Haven people. The whole thing was awesome.

The guy who came in and out were very respectful. I speak a little Spanish. My wife is Hispanic. So any issues that we had, it was easy to communicate with them. I can see how it would be difficult on some of these crews that are coming in and out that don't speak good English. So between my wife and I, we were able to convey messages. But I asked them to keep the path of heavy machinery going in and out of my yard so it wouldn’t have to rip out the whole front yard, and they respected that. Also, I went out and got the guys drinks. Made coffee and everything.

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

The original guy Blue Haven sent out to come give us the bid was not satisfactory. He was new and he told us that he absolutely could not build any pool for less than $65,000. He didn’t explain anything about the options. That was also in the beginning of the COVID pandemic and even though I told him I wanted to have the meeting outside, this strange man insisted on coming inside our house. It was very upsetting. When he left, I was uneasy that that person had been inside my house, not just because of COVID. He had tattoos all over and I didn't feel safe that week. It was a bad experience. Blue Haven is dealing with financially higher-class people that are able to afford to build these pools, and they do not want a salesman coming inside their house.

It was a bad start, but when I called to complain, the company listened and they made things right. They were extremely responsive. Ever since then, we’ve been very happy with everything. They sent out Nathan. One of the managers did the design build for us. The only concern I had was when we went to pick up the tile, the first guy was still there. I saw him in the office. For him to insist coming inside our house, that was a turn-off. To me, that should have been grounds to being terminated especially during COVID and security issues. Apart from that, Nathan knew I was unhappy with the first guy and he made up for it. He responded 100% and he was amazing. However, Blue Haven could use some improvement on the training when the pool is complete.

The guy that came and did the follow-up, Pool School, didn't listen to me. He talked down to me, like I should understand more than what I did, and that was a turn-off as well. Blue Haven wants to sell you all of those chemicals and one person told me I should record it, but the other person said, “Uhh, I don't really like you to record it.” They also say it's all in the manual and it's not all in there. That was a mess. It was overwhelming too. I’m an attorney, and it was hard for me to figure it out. During Pool School, they tell you all the chemicals are gonna change within a week, but then no one ever comes back. It’s like they finish construction, and you're on your own. They should do a second follow-up after Pool School two weeks later.

Instead, they just tell you, “Call our service department,” and they have been helpful in some things, but not especially. I've gotten better advice from Leslie’s Pool than them. Still, I have recommended Blue Haven. They do high-quality work and the products they do are very good. The guys that built the pool were amazing too. My husband's in construction, and even he said, “They did very good quality work.” We also just had a bad cold snap and the pool came through just fine from that, even though a lot of people had their pools freeze. We might be moving in a year back to Tulsa. If we do that and we build a pool, I would definitely hire Blue Haven again, without question.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Shortly after a big Category 5 hurricane down here, we were eager to get something going. We were having problems with insurance and we wanted to do something to get the house looking better. We decided to do the pool part on our own. There was a poo place in town but we heard some bad things about them. Blue Haven over in Walton County was a little bit of a distance but it was not too bad. We went over and took a peek at them one day. We liked what we heard and we saw some designs. Their rep showed us a couple of things. We knew we didn't want a plain old rectangular pool. There was one that they called a Grecian one and we liked that. Blue Haven was easy to work with. Their guy asked us, “How does this design look?” We liked it and ended up with a free form pool.

They told us the time frame barring weather. They talked about some of the warranty stuff that they had too. We paid for the pool in cash. We had a bunch of rain delays but that was not their fault. Other than that, the process was pretty quick. They’re done and the pool is fine. We decided to do an upgrade and added a bunch of pavers. We also got a fire pit built out of the same paver since it all matched. We had them do a little bit of custom tile stuff to kind of mark the edge of the steps and the platform.

We chose the color. We had two color options on the gunite that we could go with. They put the first thing down and they covered it with sort of a white thing. I thought we asked for blue but was told that when there’s water in there, it would be blue. And it is. It almost looks white with a little bit of blue glitter in there. Once the water goes in there, it turns it blue so that was kinda neat. We also like that the tinted lights will change if we want that done. We can either change it from red or different colors of blue, green, and purple. I like the dark dark blue while my kids like the red one. My wife likes the sort of the greenish looking one.

The last thing we did was we moved the tanning ledge from the deep end to the shallow end. It felt like the kids would be jumping on the deep end more often than not, and the tanning ledge took up some of the deep end. And if we were sitting there, we didn’t wanna be getting splashed all the time if the kids were jumping in. Blue Haven did a job and so did Caleb, the supervisor during the project.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

The designer, Anthony, created a lovely plan and he gave us a price. But when we looked at the stakeout, we saw that the end of the pool was incredibly tiny. We wanted to add a foot which was a total of 12 square feet. He charged us $100 a square foot, so that was $1,200. That was before they put it in. So I saw absolutely no reason for that price gouging. I was appalled at the price he charged us to amend the plan. But we paid for it. We needed it to expand. It was not our first Blue Haven pool and it was not our first swimming pool. I was taken aback, but my hands were tied at that point.

We had a problem with Anthony because he suggested a landscape person in here. The guy suggested a $40,000 landscaping package around the pool. We didn't go with the landscape person and I sent him an email and told him why. Anthony took exception to that. That really bothered us. He was nasty about it. Who wants 40 grand to put in $20,000 worth of work? He was telling us we were nasty about our answer to the landscape guy, which was none of his business. We almost canceled the pool. But legally we couldn't. We dealt years before with Anthony and his uncle and we had a wonderful experience. We told Anthony to move forward after the charge of the $1,200 for the foot, which was offensive.

Going forward and our pool was installed within a incredible amount of time. Just like it was years and years ago with them. The office in which Anthony operates is incredible. The women in there are great. They worked with us very well. I had several questions as construction went on and I sent them to Anthony. But I got no answers ever from him. When I went to the women in the office, they answered every question I had. They took care of hooking me up with the people that I needed to be connected to. When I had a problem with the heater, they were all over it. They helped us with a warranty. When I opened and closed with their recommended company, they were fine.

The pool was installed beautifully. We are built into the side of the hill. So the design required a kind of a wave like finish. They did a great job with that. It's beautiful. We enjoyed the construction team. But I was upset over what they did take away versus what they didn't take away. Those were all subcontractors going along the way. It had nothing to do with Blue Haven. They laughed at the fact that we were told this was gonna be carted off, and they went, "No. There's no way in hell we're carrying that away." So we had to get our own people to take stuff out. But overall, Blue Haven is reliable. They did what they said they were gonna do. They did it in a timely fashion with the same number of dollars that they said they were gonna do it with.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Blue Haven built the pool, the spa and a firepit also. The design department did a really good job. The 3D rendering was really nice to see. It was well laid out. They were able to envision it in a way that I think worked really well. My favorite feature is the technology. We put in UV cleaning and then it has self-cleaning heads. It has also electric heat pumps.

However, they didn't really meet a lot of the timelines that they had told me. It's better to tell somebody, "Hey, this part is not gonna be done until October 1st." Then if it's done on September 20th, you have a happy customer. But if you tell them September 10th and it's 20th, and this keeps happening to every phase, even though when you look back, you go, "It wasn't so bad. They built it in a timely manner", then it's a really easy tweak for the business to make. Just manage expectations. Because they didn't take forever and they didn't do a bad job. They just didn't do a good job managing what they said they would do when they said they do it.

One of the big keys for me was that most consumers are not very educated about what it is they're doing. They just know like, "I want a pool," or, "I wanna have the spa and firepit." So, I had to go back and forth with them about five or six times on explaining I don't want a gas heater for the pool, I want a heat pump and that was never presented as an option. I did my own research and asked if it was possible. They said, "Yeah, it's possible. No one does that. We don't recommend it." I'm glad that I'm just stubborn and I went with my own thing.

Pools shouldn't be heated with gas unless they're never used. 'Cause if you heat a pool with gas, it's gonna be 600 to 1000 bucks a month. I spend 100 a month. Electric is the way you heat a pool unless you wanna swim in the middle of the winter, and electric heat pumps can't really heat a pool if it's under 55. But if it's under 55, I don't really want to swim. That's cold. So I went back and forth and the guy said, "You turn the pool on on Friday afternoon, the kids swim on it on Saturday. It's not that much to heat it with gas, and it's three times faster." That's true, gas is faster to heat a pool. But it was a lack of understanding that not everyone is like you.

I told him, "I don't have kids. We're a child-free couple. I work from home for myself. So I wouldn't be using the pool more on a Saturday than I would on a Tuesday." I said, "I'm using this thing every day, which means I need it heated every day. Electric heat pumps are just cheaper to do that." But gas would be better if you're using it like he described. So the best thing to do is they should tell their customers the options.

I use the hot tub about 10 times in April for two hours per time, including heating it. It was $200 just to heat the hot tub. 'Cause we use gas heating for the hot tub. I just wish I knew that because I don't think I would've built such a big hot tub. I wish they had told me, "The hot tub design you selected is really beautiful and it's really big, but just so you know, heating 800 gallons of water, it's gonna be expensive." Those things should have been communicated up front a little bit because they're the experts. When I got my first gas bill, it went up from $49 to 262 using the hot tub. I was like, "Oh my gosh. All right, I'll be careful when I use the hot tub."

The guy also told me, "You turn on the heat and it'll be warm in 40 minutes." I said, "Okay, that sounds cool." But, in the winter, it takes two hours to heat. If it's 35 degrees outside, to get it up to 100, it will take a solid hour and 40 to hour and 50 minutes and that's a disincentive. If I knew that, I might've just skipped the hot tub or went with one that you just plugin. But, these are all things that they can work on because their quality is so good.

I would recommend Blue Haven to other people because they did a great job. They built a really nice pool. One of the systems failed in the summer. It was the pump itself that moves the water in and out. It was making this really weird sounds. I called them and they were really awesome and responsive. They got somebody out the day after I contacted them. They were like, "This is an emergency situation." I was super impressed that they stand behind their work. They're not just gonna leave you high and dry. Overall, it's a good company.

Original review: May 13, 2021

We had a good experience with the rep. But the job site sat vacant more than it did with people there. We got a pool with a wall with fountains and a front deck. It also has an Ozonator. The quality is very good. Blue Haven upheld the timeframe expectation they set out in the beginning.

Original review: May 5, 2021

The second person we worked with gave us a little better idea that we liked and so we went with that. We actually reformed it. The people came in and dug the hole and they seemed to be on time with everything they did and were accessible when I called them. The guy who came out and marked out the pool did a good job too. Then anytime I called the gal during the process of building the pool, she was very easy to get ahold of. She called me right back if she couldn't get ahold of me or I could email her and I’d get something usually within about 30 minutes. We got through the winter pretty well. We had some very bad weather, our pool froze, the pipes, that everybody else was going through. We weren’t able to reach anybody, Blue Haven was getting hammered by lots of phone calls, so they put stuff out via their website that we followed and hoped that nothing was broken on the ground. Overall, I would recommend them.

Original review: May 3, 2021

The designer came to the home and she pulled out her computer. We went over what I wanted and she drew it up. She explained everything, wrote down everything, and it was exactly what I got. Construction was quite awesome. Everyone that came to work was amazing. I had my project manager, Michael, and he let me know what was going on. If I had any concerns, he would get back to me. Clean up was good. The pool has a hot tub, which has a waterfall feature. I have lights that change color which is very pretty to look at. All of the pavers that were put around the pool look beautiful. The only thing that I’m left with is the runout. There has to be a hose to run out, to where I wanted it to be placed, and they didn't have enough piping. There also has to be a little dig out, and the pipe has to go in there. Then, it has to go another six feet for the runout. They haven’t come back for that.

Original review: May 2, 2021

The salesman that helped us at the front end and with the initial design was great. He had the computer, he had the 3D design, and he did very well with that. Once we got everything approved, we went on to design at the office. The lady there was very knowledgeable, as far as what the options were, for every aspect of it, and knew her stuff, so it made the process very easy to pick the color of the stone and everything else. I love how the plaster turned out with being the cream color with the specs. We added some of the turtle tile upgrades to it so that the blues and all the colors that were in the plaster really made the turtles pop. We had a little bit of an issue with the stone color we chose initially because there was a problem getting it in. We changed color on that, and the color we changed to was 10 times better. It made everything really pop and got it all together. All around, it was awesome.

Once our project manager changed over to Brandon, he did an outstanding job staying in communication with us, getting everything lined up, tried to rush and get the process going and get done. The different subs were in and out. They didn't bother anybody and they knocked out their work. They cleaned up after themselves and got everything done nicely and organized. We had a few hiccups along the way, but they did an outstanding job for the whole process, start to finish. I love the whole thing. Kids won't stay out of the pool.

Original review: May 1, 2021

We got our pool up towards the end of July and the process was a quick one. The people were all really professional and the crew was good. Saw this project was from beginning to end so I had a pleasant experience. The kids and the family love the pool.

Media