2. Homeowners

4.3/5 (70 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About Blue Haven Pools & Spas

More than 50 U.S. Blue Haven offices design and build inground custom pools and spas to meet your style and budget preferences. Local designers provide free in-home consultations and illustrate your backyard dream with a custom plan — in most states, using 3D virtual reality software. Blue Haven’s exclusive, high-tech SmartFeatures™ help make pool ownership easier and more economical. In the past 25 years alone, Blue Haven offices across the U.S. have successfully built and remodeled nearly 90,000 pools. Blue Haven also arranges 100% financing with approved credit.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Haven Pools & Spas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Haven Pools & Spas?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

You don’t often make a $100,000 decision based on an online review, but there was enough of them that it made me feel more comfortable going with Blue Haven. The reps were fantastic. Very specifically, we wanted the stairs to be in a sort of a unique location. We also wanted the pool to be as square as possible, but we didn't want an actual square. Jeff was able to design that out and it looks really good. It works well with a fire pit. We'd never owned a pool before so we had no idea what we wanted other than what we'd seen in pictures and other people's houses we've been to. It was great to get a lot of good advice on what products we wanted to use and what products we didn’t. We thought that travertine would be slick, but they walked us through that and let us walk on it in their showroom.

For us to have wanted a pool but to be essentially as ignorant as can be, I feel pleased that we ended up with a really nice end product and that's all because of Blue Haven. We didn’t know what direction to go but we knew we wanted to go with a company that all of our neighbors trust and that was a good decision. It's got the lighting, the fountains, the automatic vacuum, the automatic refill, and the automatic salt dispenser. We did the heating and cooling and that's been awesome too. Even on days here where it's been 110 degrees outside, the pool was able to stay around 85 to 90 if we wanted it to.

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I asked Blue Haven to come out and go over some ideas we had about renovating and remodeling our backyard. They listened to what our ideas were and were able to put out some 3D drawings and dimensions that were very helpful for my wife and I to visualize and conceptually see what they were doing and put in place what we were thinking. First, we got to know Rob and John, who are both with the local company here, and they were pretty much available. But just like any pool company, they’re subject to delays, weather, and other things factored in there. Because of those, we'd only see them one day a week. I would reach out and check on the schedule with John and he would tell me that they'll come Saturday and they would work.

My wife was very unsatisfied with that process. We had an existing pool that required a demo step and process that started in February of last year, which was moving our backyard patio, concrete, and existing pool. Once they did that, it was about four weeks before they were able to get back to us. Then their first staging crew came in and started forming the pool and doing the rough end over there, too. The staging, from the time the demo came out, was about three months to get it back in over there.

We wanted the pool by Memorial Day and we had the pool two weeks before that in May. They did everything they said they would do and there were things that they did a little bit differently. From the tanning ledge, the depth that we liked over there was different from other companies. LED lighting in the pool that they recommend and do differently than what the other pool companies would do over there. It’s just that being there one day a week was kind of hard. Nonetheless, they were excellent and we were very pleased with their workmanship quality.

Matter of fact, I have contacted John and Rob back with a couple of other projects. After this, we went back and added a fire pit for our patio area. A couple of little things that come up, they’ve been good to respond, send somebody out, and take care of a couple of things. Other people ask us about who did our pool and we always tell them Blue Haven, and we recommend them highly.

Original review: April 22, 2021

There are a lot of people locally who have Blue Haven or who have used them. I got two other quotes from other companies and they were $15,000 to $20,000 more expensive than Blue Haven. And then when I was doing my initial consultation with Gary who I've had the pleasure of doing work for on a separate side business that I worked with on his personal property, he explained to me that they are able to keep prices lower than other competitors because they do so many pools, which made sense when looking at the bottom dollar of the quotes. You had to submit your survey so Gary had some ideas based off that about what would fit with setbacks as far as county code. But we have a slope in the backyard that we had to work against. He came out, looked at it and said, “Well, these are the ideas that I came up with. Obviously, they can be tweaked, but this is a starting point.”

He already came prepared with five separate ideas as far as designs. And we went with the one we thought was most practical and cost-effective because you're talking linear feet. So if you want the pool to be two feet wider in the center, your linear footage as far as material, goes up, therefore your price goes up. But he already had an idea of what would fit and what the trend is, and kept that in mind with our budget as well.

We had done over the off-season, so we had Christmas, New Year's and Thanksgiving. The timeline got a little pushed to the right with Christmas and New Year's. And we had some weather issues, which they can't control. So it took a month longer than we projected. But I didn't care as long as it got done right. It's not like I would swim in the pool that wasn't heated in February. I know some people were bothered, but that's what happens. If you’re third in line as far as first come, first served, you're going to be third in line. So when everything gets pushed to the right, you also get pushed to the right. But my project manager was awesome. I became friends with the guy. I couldn't have a better relationship with Blue Haven people. The whole thing was awesome.

The guy who came in and out were very respectful. I speak a little Spanish. My wife is Hispanic. So any issues that we had, it was easy to communicate with them. I can see how it would be difficult on some of these crews that are coming in and out that don't speak good English. So between my wife and I, we were able to convey messages. But I asked them to keep the path of heavy machinery going in and out of my yard so it wouldn’t have to rip out the whole front yard, and they respected that. Also, I went out and got the guys drinks. Made coffee and everything.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

The original guy Blue Haven sent out to come give us the bid was not satisfactory. He was new and he told us that he absolutely could not build any pool for less than $65,000. He didn’t explain anything about the options. That was also in the beginning of the COVID pandemic and even though I told him I wanted to have the meeting outside, this strange man insisted on coming inside our house. It was very upsetting. When he left, I was uneasy that that person had been inside my house, not just because of COVID. He had tattoos all over and I didn't feel safe that week. It was a bad experience. Blue Haven is dealing with financially higher-class people that are able to afford to build these pools, and they do not want a salesman coming inside their house.

It was a bad start, but when I called to complain, the company listened and they made things right. They were extremely responsive. Ever since then, we’ve been very happy with everything. They sent out Nathan. One of the managers did the design build for us. The only concern I had was when we went to pick up the tile, the first guy was still there. I saw him in the office. For him to insist coming inside our house, that was a turn-off. To me, that should have been grounds to being terminated especially during COVID and security issues. Apart from that, Nathan knew I was unhappy with the first guy and he made up for it. He responded 100% and he was amazing. However, Blue Haven could use some improvement on the training when the pool is complete.

The guy that came and did the follow-up, Pool School, didn't listen to me. He talked down to me, like I should understand more than what I did, and that was a turn-off as well. Blue Haven wants to sell you all of those chemicals and one person told me I should record it, but the other person said, “Uhh, I don't really like you to record it.” They also say it's all in the manual and it's not all in there. That was a mess. It was overwhelming too. I’m an attorney, and it was hard for me to figure it out. During Pool School, they tell you all the chemicals are gonna change within a week, but then no one ever comes back. It’s like they finish construction, and you're on your own. They should do a second follow-up after Pool School two weeks later.

Instead, they just tell you, “Call our service department,” and they have been helpful in some things, but not especially. I've gotten better advice from Leslie’s Pool than them. Still, I have recommended Blue Haven. They do high-quality work and the products they do are very good. The guys that built the pool were amazing too. My husband's in construction, and even he said, “They did very good quality work.” We also just had a bad cold snap and the pool came through just fine from that, even though a lot of people had their pools freeze. We might be moving in a year back to Tulsa. If we do that and we build a pool, I would definitely hire Blue Haven again, without question.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

We never had a pool before, so we really leaned on Blue Haven's designer to help us. He went over above and beyond. I don't know anything about pools and so I really needed him. He has some great ideas. We got a good hookup. I was on a really tight budget so I wanted the smallest pool I could get. I explained that to Shawn. He was right in line with everybody else as far as telling us the smallest one we could do. We have a daughter that has special needs. So, he helped us out with the beach entry, which was his idea because I wouldn't have thought of that. Then he's got a wheelchair ramp over to one side. It's a freeform pool. It doesn't have square corners. It's got the wheelchair ramp there on that one side that kind of eases down into it.

Back when I was younger, I swam in some neighbors' pools that were all 8, 9, 12 foot deep. He explained that that's wasted water and space. Nobody ever stays in that of deep water. You always just swim across it. We're older. I'm in my 50s. My wife's in the 40s. Our daughter doesn't need that kind of depth. Those were really good points. We've only been through one summer with the pool and it's great. The way you could just walk right into it was great. You don't have to worry about holding on to a rail or slipping and falling. It's really important for our daughter. To me, that's a smart feature. We've already recommended Blue Haven and Shawn to some friends. We’ve had a couple little bitty things that have come up. But I got Shawn's cell phone number. I call him. He takes care of me.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

The rep that I talked to was really good and knowledgeable. Our pool was finished in December of last year. Everything was so seamless with them. It was really simple. I've already recommended them to other people in our neighborhood, and I've gotten a couple of referrals sent over there.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Terrible experience. Job site on Wisteria Trail in our new Four Trees Community, Midlothian Texas.

TIME LINE

After several months of waiting post contract signing in August 2020, Blue Haven Pools finally started first work in November 2020. Then another few month waiting - not due to weather - Blue Haven Pools continued working February 2021 with their next step! Now it's June 2021 and we are still missing the Sundek, the plaster, Mastic and the final grading. Nearly 4 months later, plaster finally done but messed up - it took a crew one day, applied mastic looks terrible - took some guy 30 minutes, final grading still missing.

EXCAVATION

Blue Haven Pools excavation dump trucks drove over about 150 feet of great new green lawn instead of bringing out the dirt with the bobcat to the trucks on the road. They sank in the earth about two feet. The excavator roughly cleaned it upon exiting the property, leaving a messy path that you can't walk or drive with about 1 foot uneven bumpy trails. Get this - it's still not fixed! Superintendent Dave responded "We'll fix it eventually" ... that never happened.

METAL / REBARS

Blue Haven Pools crew did their job but left small pieces of metal rods all over the yard, did not properly clean their leftover material. Me the homeowner had to remove it as there really is no "cleaning crew" of any kind and the workers don't give a damn about your property.

GUNITE

The Blue Haven Pools Gunite crew broke two sprinkler sections one head and one pipe by driving over the front lawn with their heavy trucks. Then they laid out their hose ripping off carefully maintained vegetation and destroying tree stabilizers. After the gunite crew left my backyard was a mess for about 6 months. They left broken wood, nails, plastic covers, half-eaten lunches and empty drink bottles all over my backyard. Blue Haven Pools gunite crew blew out their hose on the backyard but instead of removing their leftovers they just spread it all over the yard leaving hundreds of gunite clumps from small to big all over my property. The response "Well that's what they have to do - you need to give them access to the property somehow".

COPING

The Blue Haven Pools coping crew dropped some large equipment on my driveway chipping out several sections and cracking it. Nobody has fixed it! I've personally smeared some concrete in the larger chipped out pieces but you can imagine it doesn't look too good. Second, their work leaves much to be desired. The Blue Haven Pools tile and coping crew had to redo several sections around the pool and one heedlessly wrong cut area and multiple tiles around the simple spa. Still we find badly - carelessly damaged and even faulty bricks around the coping. The Superintendent's response "It's bricks! I bet I can find a bunch of damaged bricks around your house walls too." (No joke)

DECK NIGHTMARE

Work is so poor it can't be worse, insufficient pre-work, no compacting thus part of the deck started hanging down by nearly 2 inches. The forming was so cheap and badly done that the reused boards broke off during the pouring and had to be pieced together. That left ugly edges and also had to be redone at 3 area slabs. We've had a single, simple 6" stair and the crews formed it so bad that they've had to cut around it during their repairs, and it still looks crappy and unprofessional and careless. They've left their dirt, their boards and nails all over the place, and dumped concrete washouts at four different places, and left it.

I've gathered those in one single pile using a metal finder, so my family isn't getting hurt and called the superintendent to pick it up - but the cleaning guy refused to do so claiming it was not Blue Haven pools, as it certainly was because there are tile pieces and coping bricks in it also. Besides there is no other construction at my house and we have cameras.... just ridiculous - stay away as far as you can from Blue Haven Pools.

PLASTER MESS

Paid for the most expensive darkest pebble plaster Bluehaven offered. The job was 90% well done. The last 10% however they failed to put enough material on it. The layer was 1/16" only so it started flaking off everywhere. They called it high spots where the job to smoothen out the gunite was done so poorly that lumpy areas are created. After filling it started losing Water at 30 gallons per hour due to uncovered areas in the skimmer section. After finding and fixing them we still lost over 8| gallons per hour - see attached image. After fixing some of the holes and uncovered areas in the plaster we are down to 1.2 gallons of loss per hour - that is on cold zero wind days with cover. So it still leaks out of the remaining holes. It had fixed 13 holes and still has several high spots with pebbles so thin to be removed with a fingernail. Overall a real quick and lousy job. Unable to do a closer look and find it acceptable.

The owner of A&E plaster company sent someone to drain the pool and partially fix things. He covered the pool refill/startup cost. Still now we have about 20 sqft of dark unedged/unwashed mass on the floor, about 80-100 sqft of real rough spots you better don't step on, some larger and a few smaller holes, and all in all 10 leftover nasty looking blemishes. See attached images of the finished job.

MASTIC

That's the final touch? An application supposed to make it all look good sealing the gap and slight offsets between the pool deck and coping. Just real bad, terrible work, leaving lots of sharp edges that can cut open toes. The guy was a total newbie but telling me he did "...hundreds of them..." supposedly, he was in and out in 30+ minutes, sprayed sand all over the deck while trying to pre-fill the gap and then used a blower to get it inside the pool for the most part. Make sure you buy couple of expensive vac filters for his sand to be sucked out of the pool. His sand layer caved in on many places, but mostly too less mastic was applied, in some areas too much so it ran out on the deck. Now left with sharp, toe-cutting edges and sunken areas. See images.

So they've sent back this guy, he was angry and smeared mastic all over the deck in the first repair area, then he poured sand on it with a different much lighter color - doesn't get any dumber really. No English but he was abole to claim SAME COLOR SAME COLOR as if that changes the sand color. I told him to come back with the correct sand color - see images. Company called me claiming they are unable to provide a Mastic person to do the job right, offering lousy $318 to hire someone else or do it myself, which certainly fits the Blue Haven Dallas profile. Seems the main problem is their own workers and crews lying to the Bluehaven Pools and Spas management.

FINAL GRADING

Blue Haven Pools and Spas Dallas left my property in a mess. Blue haven created a 10 ft wide rocky 150ft long trench path where once a perfect lawn was. They've destroyed the drain channel and left it that way. The cleaning? There was none. From nails over rebar pieces to gunite and brick edges everything was left. We've had to eventually hire a pro company to come clean up the pile - gathered by the home ownwers. See images.

The pool? Even now - no joke - the concrete is still in the air mostly all around the deck. They did not grade anything, they did not even slant it down properly or even but left it just like the excavator pushed it back in. Someone did come and sprinkled 1/2 ton dirt over all the left-behind garbage and called it "job done". Our drain channel was destroyed by the Blue haven deck crew's bobcat driver. Here's what the deck guy did: he needed some more dirt under the concrete deck on the day of pouring, so instead of bringing in more he just dug out all the dirt down to the rocks of my drain area. The bad thing is they've left it that way, destroyed. Landscaper said he won't lay down sod as there will be no grass growing in that hole and area unless it's fixed. Just miserable. See images.

RUDE CREWS

Rude and negligent crews. Three of the crews complained - to me, the client - about Blue Haven Pools not paying them enough. How in the world is that my problem? I've paid and arm and a leg for every single step, likely tenfold what they've paid their crews. Well, their horrible work looks accordingly. Blue Haven Pools crews are extremely careless about your property and even their own work, not to mention how it actually turns out.

The Blue Haven Pools tile contractor told me they've only hired him because he had the lowest of low bids and they've got him to drop his price twice to get the contract with Blue Haven Pools. So, subsequently all Blue Haven Pools crews cut corners everywhere from reusing old nasty already cheap wood-board forms to saving on materials like pool deck 2.5 - 3 inches instead of 3.75 - 4 inches what its supposed to be. This is no joke and we have proof! None of the crews or workers speak any English whatsoever, makes it very hard to explain anything to anyone. You can imagine how much the single customer is worth to them.

MONEY CONTROL - BEWARE

Want to lose any control over your money? So, Blue Haven Pools and Spas wants you to pay everything upfront, not a day, months and months upfront. You'll be paying them 80% of your money at about 15% work completion. Then you pay the rest - and that's BEFORE they even do the deck/plaster/cleaning/mastic/grading. You will be completely at their mercy when it comes to scheduling, callbacks, or in my case certain stages are left poorly done and foremost - unfinished.

STATUS

November2021 now. Cost me additional $3247.50 to repair the driveway, the front lawn landscape including grading, the drain channel, and top spread out the rest of the dirt around the pool.

My advice:

THINK TWICE BEFORE GIVING BLUE HAVEN POOLS YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

IMAGES

Blue Haven Pools & Spas response

We are sorry to hear that you have been so dissatisfied with your local office. Thank you for providing the detailed comments and photos. We will share your feedback with the general manager, as their staff is always striving to improve their service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We started the process in March of 2020 and John, the rep, made it as painless as possible through Covid. The bulldozer showed up on May 5th of this year and it was very good. Joe was the project manager and he was in tune to our needs and questions, and answering text messages and phone calls. So, it was a painless process. The pool has a jump rock, a water feature, a hot tub and the bubblers. The quality was very good. Our only glitch was the initial gas plumber that Blue Haven hired. That ended up delaying the project by about four weeks because they had no idea what they were doing. The guy was asking me where stuff needed to go and when he asked that, I called Joe and told him that this wasn't working for me. We were dealing with gas lines and they were going under my house and around my yard, and this guy was asking me about stuff. So Joe came right over and they were done.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

They have done a great job. They did everything, including the design, pool service every week, parts, and repairs when they needed it. They’re a very well-rounded company. They’re very professional.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

The whole pool that Blue Haven made was a rectangle and I liked the shape of it and the look of it. The construction process was good. They built the pool fairly quickly. Some minor stuff happened though. They drilled a couple of holes and some of the sediment that got drilled out fell in the pool and caused some good stains, which they at first said was black algae, which I knew it wasn't because it's the middle of wintertime. They had drained the pool in the spring and sure enough, it was the sediment that had stuck to the plaster and rusted and that was causing the stains. They had to bleach it and fill it back up.

Another thing that was an issue was the patio was supposed to be a brown tan color. They were supposed to mix in some coloring into the cement and they didn't do it. After that, they said they couldn't because it had been discolored because of the size of the patio, which is not true. It's just a cement patio, which is not what I wanted. But, it's nothing major. As far as the construction, I've had the pool for about a year and everything runs great. It's a quality pool, for sure.

Media