Call toll free
4.44/5
Based on 112 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

More than 50 U.S. Blue Haven offices offer inground custom designs to meet your design and budget preferences. Local designers provide free in-home consultations and will illustrate your backyard dream with 3D virtual reality software. Best of all, our state-of-the-art SmartFeatures™ make pool ownership easier & more economical than ever before. In the last 20 years alone, offices across the country have successfully completed nearly 80,000 new pools.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

363 Blue Haven Pools & Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We are very happy with our pool. It’s the first ground pool we’ve ever had and it has been with us for almost a year. The pool has some of the smart features. Blue Haven has always been good and attentive when they're coming out. I met a superintendent who was very knowledgeable and there was also Barry who kept the job going really good when the pool was installed. We have referred our neighbor to Blue Haven and he is getting a pool put in as well.

Get expert buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Some of the coping on my pool popped off. I called Blue Haven to ask them what to do exactly since I'm gonna fix the issue myself as my warranty has expired. But Blue Haven took care of the issue quickly. They sent people out to fix the issue for free. A couple of Mexican guys showed up and they didn't speak much English but we understood each other well. I was just a little concerned because we had been tending storms and it started raining when they were covering their work up and working at the same time. Other than that, I would recommend Blue Haven. They're fast and they do a good job.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Blue Haven came out because the pool pump had broken and we have had it for less than a year. We told them that it was broken because of the timer. It wasn’t turning on and off anymore. But the person who came out the first time looked at the timer but didn’t pay attention to what time and day it was. He said that we didn't have the timer correct and he didn’t fix it. So we had to call them back and tell them that they just weren’t paying attention and didn’t actually look at it properly. It was more of an annoyance that they came out like that. You'd think they would have paid attention to it. But once we called them back, they did come out a second time and got the issue taken care of quickly. They realized it was broken and replaced it. But they were great with the pool installation when they put it in a year ago and I've recommended them to a couple of people.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

The pump went out and the service guy who came out did a great job. He did safety stuff, making sure the electricity was off before he was working, and got right to it. He didn’t waste time and he diagnosed where the problem was. It was a loose wiring which he fixed and took care of for me. It was weird that a wiring would come loose but I guess there was vibration and it did.

I've had the pool for about a year now and I've been recommending Blue Haven to folks. We opted to go for the cement pool and they did a great job. When they were building it, I was worried because they brought in a bunch of different specialty people. I thought maybe it would be the same crew who comes and builds the pool but there was a bunch of different people who came. But every single one of them knew what they were doing and got on it. And Manny, the owner of Blue Haven here in Kansas City, was very good.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Blue Haven was real easy to work with and Jamie was a big part of that. He's really good at what he does and has a lot of good ideas. We had an idea then we worked with him. He drew it for us, put his perspective on it and told us things to do or avoid. Working with him was probably the best part of the whole process. The design was a lot of fun. But aside from that, their fees and the contract were also really transparent and thorough. I didn’t feel like there was anything we didn’t know about. That made us really comfortable with the whole thing. With some of the other contractors that we talked to, the cost and certain pieces of it weren't as clear as they made it.

The construction was really quick too. 47 days after groundbreaking, we were putting water in the pool. They had the perfect weather and we were also in a good location. We weren’t too far from their main offices so it was really fast. They broke our sprinkler lines in the front of the house a few times but that was just a part of construction and they ultimately got those fixed.

We love the pool. It's exactly what we had in mind. We've got the LED lights in the hot tub and in the pool. We've got the Hayward system so we have the app on our phone to control everything. We also have a waterfall off of the hot tub. It still got pretty hot but it helps in cooling it down a little. We also did a really dark plaster finish that we like a lot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Haven Pools & Spas?

Original review: July 29, 2018

Everything went smooth in the design process with Blue Haven for the whole pool. The construction process took about two months. They put in a waterfall and it had a leak, which they came out and fixed. And then we've had the decking cracked but they've said that it's not under warranty so I just cleared up those things. By now, I've already sold three Blue Haven pools.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We live on the Texas coast. I started talking to Blue Haven in April about designing a pool for me. They decided and did a computer-aided drafting model and sent it to me, which was awesome 'cause then I felt like I got a feel for it. They started digging the pool in July. And in just a week, they had it all dug. A couple of weeks later, they had it granited and tiled. They had put in all the concrete around the pool too. And then we had the hurricane hit August 25th. Luckily, they didn't have pumps in yet. When we came back from the hurricane, it was filled with water. And we had an eel, seahorse and schools of fish. But we did not lose one single tile. We did not have anything stained too. Everything was perfect, except for the sea life in it.

So, I told them to finish it. They said, "Are you sure? Are your neighbors gonna be upset?" Because all of our houses got flooded. I said, "No, just go ahead and finish it, so we have at least one thing done in our house." So, they came back and finished that. Dwayne, the owner of the Certified Pools & Spas in Corpus, came out the day that they let people onto the island where we live. He was at our house checking on us, and not just the pool, but checking on us to make sure everything was okay. So, they were awesome.

If it was not for the hurricane, the pool would have been done in six weeks. But since the hurricane, they had it done by September. The pool is kidney shaped and it's 25 x 9.5. We have the shower end that has little bubblers that come up. They're two bubblers and it has two umbrella holders as well. We never really use our backyard 'cause it's just so hot. But now, we have a pool, almost every single day we're in it. We are outside 75% of the time now. My kids are swimming like crazy. They're five, so they swim constantly.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): What the Blue Haven Pools salesman (Gary) said, what he drew on paper, and what we ended up with the Project Manager (PM) (Larry) and Construction Manager (Josh) overseeing, was different. DON’T APPROVE ANYTHING OR PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE A 3-D DRAWING WITH DIMENSIONS AND FEATURES CLEARLY ANNOTATED.

When we decided get a pool, one of the builders we were interested in talking with was Blue Haven. I actually spoke with the same salesman on the phone in the Fall 2016 and he gave me a quick run-down of the process of him coming out and sketching out the design and then going back and developing a detailed precise drawing with all the specifics annotated on it (just like the other pool companies I contacted). Unfortunately, the salesman required both my husband and I to be present and we weren’t able to meet with the salesman until early Feb 2018. At that meeting, he walked us outside to discuss where the pool would be located (he stated it would start at 14’ from the back porch) and to obtain some quick measurements for his conceptual design he sketched out and provided to us on engineering drawing paper.

He stated that a detailed drawing would be provided for our review before the project started (website called it a 3D drawing). The price for a 16’ x 32’ pool with a 3’ to 5’ depth was $32K. We asked for a 3’ x 6’ depth which added $900 more ($450 per ½ foot). I asked if I could take 5’ from the length and make it a 6’ wide sun shelf with a smaller length without adding cost and he said yes. We understood that the pool would now be 16’ x 27’ with a sun shelf on the side (i.e. the sun shelf would not be part of the 16’ x 27’ pool dimensions as we were moving it from the end of the pool to the side of the pool upon his suggestion - otherwise I would have left it on the end).

When he was done, I approved the “conceptual drawing” and took a picture of it so I would know what it was going to look like and would be able to match it up to the detailed drawing. We also discussed a 7’ spa with circular seating (which I specifically wanted) for $12.9K with a waterfall; decking $1690; Ozone water system $995; smart bot $750; and three shooters/sprayers $750 for a total price of $49,985.

When I signed the original contract, it was understood that the sketch provided by the salesman was not a precise drawing and the follow-on 3-D drawing would be the print-to-build document (there were no dimensions on the sketched design; the tic marks didn’t represent/match up to the dimensions he said and there was no “scale-to-drawing” information so I had no reason to believe this was the “final” drawing and the final dimensions would differ from what he had said). We never discussed the grade of the pool... he just said they’d make sure it looked nice and would blend in with the rest of the backyard (note to everyone, make sure “blend in with the rest of the backyard” is accurately defined and drawn. Otherwise what you think “blend in” means and what he thinks “blend in” means may be two entirely different things; there’s about a 2-3’ drop off).

Meetings at work prevented me from being able to be present at the initial layout/start of the pool and my husband’s schedule allowed him to take my place. I thought he would be presented with the detailed drawing (since no one went over one with me prior to the layout), but since the PM did not go over a detailed drawing with my husband, he thought that it had already been presented to me and that they were working from the detailed drawing. So, needless to say, the PM did not provide nor discuss a detailed drawing with my husband during the initial start of building the pool. We were told later that because the salesman was the number one salesman, he was not required to provide a 3-D drawing.

At the initial meeting with the PM, the proper tools were not available to layout the pool. It was decided by the PM and his crew to use a tape measure to mark and then spray paint the outline of the pool. After the outline of the pool was drawn, my husband discussed with the PM the sun deck width and pushing out the width of the pool as it did not look like it was large enough to be a 16’ wide pool (length was ok). My husband informed the PM that I would make the final decision on the sun deck and width when I was able to review it when I got home that evening (give final go-ahead). At that time, my husband signed/initialed the “Pool Layout and Excavation Checklist & Acceptance” (in good faith) with the verbal understanding that there may be an adjustment after I reviewed the layout that evening.

My husband was also informed by the PM that we needed to remove any tools, equipment, chairs, etc. in the backyard in order to prevent the workers from using them and possibly breaking them or losing them as they weren’t responsible if that happened. My husband requested a schedule/timeline for the project (when each step would occur), but was only given a time of 6 to 8 weeks. The “Pool Layout and Excavation Checklist & Acceptance” form referenced an “Advisory Booklet” of which a note was made that it would be sent to us. It said “PLEASE READ as it contains VERY IMPORTANT information.” I had to request it twice before it was finally emailed to us on 7 May, just prior to plaster application. This document referenced was actually titled “Steps to Your New Blue Haven Swimming Pool” – it would have been helpful to have had it prior to the start of the project even though it contained events w/ no dates.

Since my husband had signed the paperwork, and the excavation crew hadn’t shown up, the PM said he did not have to be present so my husband was not home during the excavation phase of the project that took place that initial day. When I arrived home I was surprised to see the excavation had taken place as I had understood the PM would check with me to make sure the layout was indeed correct. I reasoned that the PM had probably already gotten the excavation crew scheduled so he went ahead and dug it up thinking that if it wasn’t correct, they could come back and redo it the next day. I quickly noticed the sun deck was not the appropriate size and the pool was not the appropriate width (my husband noticed the equipment location did not appear to be where it had been sprayed and the spa looked as if it was closer to the porch than where it was sprayed).

No one took pictures of “the before” so we had no proof – a mistake I did not make again. Take before and after pictures of EVERY phase. The pool was actually 11’ from the back porch vs. the 14’ we were told by the salesman. So, I waited for the PM’s call that evening to check with me to make sure it was indeed the correct size. He never called so I reasoned that he would call the next day for sure; however, when I got home the next day, the crew had already put in the rebar and by that time, I had a sinking feeling that my 16’ x 27’ pool was now a ~12’ x 27’ pool (first check was due at layout so I now had no leverage). This is when I started attempting to get in contact with the PM to discuss the issues before anything further was done.

Multiple attempts for a week to contact the PM and have him stop the process long enough for him to meet me at the job-site to take a look were not successful, and needless to say, the workers continued working on the project without the issues being resolved. The PM was in south Florida for the first 5 days and then possibly in the hospital for the next 3-4 days during this time. Either way, the PM clearly wasn’t present on the job-site and therefore unavailable to discuss the issues in a timely manner. As this was “THE most important step” you would think he would want to make sure it was done right prior to anything else taking place but the PM, by his actions of rushing the rebar, etc. and not just double-checking with me, clearly did not do his job... and that’s how the nightmare started.

I finally decided to contact the Construction Manager via email (after the gunite was sprayed) and requested compensation for the smaller size pool and he came out to take a look at it. I expressed my disappointment at the fact that what the salesman told me I was going to get, what he sketched out, and what actually was constructed was different and the response was “you approved the layout” so the pool size and shape is “as is”. He informed me that the pool width included the width of the sun shelf. I disagreed with him, but his mind was made up and he was not open to any more discussions as far as the size of the pool was concerned. I kept my emotions intact and did not argue with him any further. I discussed with him other issues that we noticed after the plumbing was installed and the gunite was sprayed.

According to the sketched “design that we approved”: 1) the lights were not in the correct place; 2) two of the shooters were not in the correct place (salesman never drew out the third shooter); 3) the loveseat was not the correct shape; 4) the equipment was not located in the right place and it was ~ 1’ below the pool level; and 5) the spa did not have seating all around which is what I wanted. One item that was not shown on the sketched “design that we approved” was the existence of a promised waterfall.

I was told that: 1-2) the lights and shooters were in a better spot; 3) the loveseat shape was such that it allowed for easier cleaning; 4) he agreed to raise the plumbing but it was never placed/moved to where the sketched “design that we approved” showed it was supposed to be located (and where my husband thought it had been sprayed - where the heater sits is not level and the PVC pipes are a little wonky - not straight); and 5) having seating all the way around in a 7’ spa was illegal - you had to have two drains in the spa and they had to be so far apart and seating all the way around would not allow for the correct distance between the drains, so the seating had to be stopped on each side of the waterfall (the question is: did the salesman not know the law concerning spas when he drew a 7’ spa with around-the-spa seating or did he make a mistake or did he do it on purpose to make the sale to me?

Or did he think the PM would catch it and correct it on a 3D drawing? who knows? ); they did add a waterfall but I think it was because they realized that they cheated me but wouldn’t admit it, so it was an attempt to appease me (by the way, it took three times for them to get it done right). The Construction Manager basically was telling us why they did it the way they did it, but all of those items were deviations from the sketched “design that we approved” and we never approved them. I listened to his explanation nodding; however, my acknowledgement of his explanation as to why they deviated from the “design that we approved” should not have been interpreted as my approval of the deviations after the fact…

According to the contract any changes were supposed to be in writing and approved by both parties prior to the changes. That never happened so asking forgiveness instead of permission is not the proper way to do business. It would not have made any difference if I had told him flat out that it was not acceptable as they were not going to break up the gunite and redo the electrical wiring and plumbing and tear up the spa and make it an 8’ spa (the PM had already told me they couldn’t change it so I knew no matter what the Construction Manager said, they weren’t going to change it). So, while I did not ask them to, I believe I was well within my legal right to do so as technically, the pool was not constructed according to the “design that we approved” and there are no approved change orders.

However, having to go through a legal battle that could be tied up in court for who knows how long was not something neither my husband nor I wanted to have to go through so we took the higher road and did not force the issue. We had another issue with the decking (was not placed according to the “design that we approved” – took them six times to correct as they had to correct it), so with one more feeble attempt, I sent an email to the Construction Manager requesting that they correct the pavers and again, provide equitable compensation for not fulfilling their promise of building a pool with the appropriate dimensions and design features. The Construction Manager replied standing by his comments that we approved the layout and about why they did what they did and that he thought I had understood and was ok with it and he could not understand why I would be entitled to any compensation.

At that point, my husband said it wasn’t worth suing over; he just wanted to get it finished so we could be done with them and end the nightmare. My husband and I each have over 30 years in Program Management/Engineering (retired 30-yr AF/Civilian), so we are well aware that no project is perfectly run; however, coming home and wondering what was done incorrectly every day the workers came is not acceptable. While their paperwork says that “There is no reason to take vacation days while your pool is being constructed. We adequately supervise our work. It is not necessary for you to supervise our work or even be home during most of the construction process!”, that was not the case with us and our PM. I shudder to think what it would have looked like had I not only noticed the issues but took an active role and forced the corrections.

It is interesting to note that the PM never saw anything was wrong until I pointed it out to him. How he did not notice the equipment being one foot below the pool level is beyond me (erosion would have washed it away). It appeared that he was waiting to see if I “caught” anything otherwise, he said nothing about things being done wrong. It appeared that the only time I saw him was when he came to get the check. Towards the end of the process, he showed up a little more often when I told him the “corrections” (and there were quite a few others that I did not mention) were still not “corrected”. One of the most irritating habits he had was “just showing up unannounced”.

I missed two of my online classes because he showed up unannounced at 5:00 instead of calling to set up an appointment or arranging to meet with my husband. There were numerous times that he would say a crew was going to be there on such and such a date and three days later, they showed up. Unless I texted him, he would never let me know that they weren’t coming as scheduled. Sometimes I believe he knew they weren’t coming but most days, I don’t even think he knew they never showed up until I told him. We have a dog and we pinned him up so it was very irritating to have to pin him up for days when it wasn’t necessary.

All of these issues could have been avoided with a 3D detailed drawing and a PM that did his job went over the detailed drawing with exact dimensions and design features annotated with us prior to layout. Had the PM done his job and checked with me to see if the sprayed layout was indeed correct (like he did with the other steps afterwards, of course, I did not give him the other checks until he had contacted me and everything was corrected), the nightmare could have been avoided.

I realize that I paid $50K for a 16’ x 27’ pool with a ~ 6’ x 14’ sun shelf but received a ~12’ x 27’ pool with a 5.5’ (at the widest width – average width is 4’) x 14’ sun shelf and I am not going to get any refund on it; however, if I can prevent anyone else from having to go through the nightmare we had to go through, and be cheated out of 4’ of pool width, then this review was worth all the trouble. I don’t know if it was just negligence on the part of the PM or if it was the ‘ol bait and switch con, but I will use the analogy of “paying $50K and expecting to get a “long bed truck” and getting a “short-bed truck”, that’s just plain bad business.

I believe we did due diligence from the get-go but when the PM was informed by my husband that there was a problem and he in good faith signed the layout approval with the verbal stipulation to contact me as he thought there was a problem, and the PM did nothing about it/to correct it, that is an unethical business practice. EVEN IF my husband didn’t say anything, it was the PM’s responsibility to clear what was done with me prior to going onto the next step (at least that’s what the brochure said they would do), since from the time they sprayed to the time they dug could have rendered an issue.

Using a drawing layout with no dimensions or scale annotated on it, especially after promising a 3-D drawing, in my humble opinion, is also unethical (I liken it to a drawing on a napkin) while using it as a conceptual design is ok, you wouldn’t build a house with that kind of drawing. Whether these are illegal actions, well, that is for lawyers to decide.

While it “looks” pretty, I’m not impressed with quality of workmanship and most importantly, it was not what I paid for. Only time will tell if it is indeed built to last. While it’s a “pretty new short bed truck”, it’s not the “pretty long bed truck” I paid for. Needless to say, I would not recommend Blue Haven Pools but if someone insists on going with them, insist on a 3-D drawing with dimensions and features clearly annotated and go over it with a fine-tooth comb PRIOR to any money changing hands.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We chose Blue Haven for the ability to build the pool in 2 Phases, so we would be swimming Memorial Day weekend. We signed our contract and gave a deposit on 8/21/17, today is 7/11/18 and we are not swimming. Jeff, the head of construction can never give a straight answer. We have been asking for weeks when our blue stone capping for the spa and wall would be done. We get one answer saying, "We need to have it templated. The guy will be out Thursday or Friday." No one shows. Call Monday. Ask again. No response.

Call again Tuesday and they get back to me saying, "Oh it doesn’t have to be templated. We can get it in a day or two, however the installer isn’t available until the 18th." Mind you I’ve already told Jeff and their team that we had the stamped concrete guy lined up as well as fencing install scheduled for that date. This is totally UNACCEPTABLE! We are approaching a year from contract signing. Meanwhile I have my landscaper and lawn restoration men waiting, and rearranging their schedules. At this point I will never recommend Blue Haven to anyone.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Gary from Blue Haven came out. We went over our different options and the pros and cons of each option. He looked at our backyard and took the measurements. And then we decided on what type of design we wanted - how large and all the specifics. He also started off saying, "How many corners do you want? Or how many loops do you want?" We have a pretty big backyard, so we decided to go larger for our pool. He started drawing it out. And I said to put a curve and we ended up doing six. We also have hot tub jets in the pool. He was great. We could also text Adam, our superintendent, at any time. We pretty much knew before they were gonna come out. We ended up starting two weeks early ahead of schedule. They called us and said they had something open up. So, they came.

However, we had an issue when the guys went to go dig. They ended up hitting an electricity line, so it knocked out power to our house. We were without power for five hours. But Adam was all over it. He came back. He drove 30-40 miles away 'cause he was at another construction site. And we didn't pay any expense. They paid Gulf Power. They paid for everything and had everything reinstalled. Adam was pretty much like, "this is our fault." It also seemed like every Thursday, we'd make even more progress. They also said the construction process would take six to eight weeks, but it was done in four. So we were very happy and we are in the pool every day. My dog is also obsessed with the pool. She's in it four times a day.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We met with the owner of Blue Haven and gave him an idea of what we wanted for our pool. He spray-painted on the ground and drew the design up, but I changed that a few times, then he changed his plan accordingly and showed me what he came up with based on what I said. We love the pool design that we ended up with and we paid in cash for our pool. The construction process was the easiest and most flawless thing that I've ever done and the pool builders were great. They told me when they would start and who my contact people were. Then they started the construction and it was done, and it took no more than four weeks to complete.

Our pool is a free-form pool that's kidney-shaped, with a couple of extra curves. It's an 800-gallon pool and it's 42 feet long and 24 feet wide at its widest. We have a sun shelf, which is the only extra feature that we have. I love the tile that I picked. They did the tile on the stairs and I like that part of it too. We did the upgraded quartz. I also love the color which is blue speckled.

We've recommended Blue Haven to two friends. One has backed out of what they were gonna do previously because they had a bad experience with another pool company. Another friend went through with their pool company, but their experience was a nightmare. On the other hand, we've had a really great and easy experience with Blue Haven. They did exactly what they said they were gonna do and they were here when they said they were gonna be here. Plus, all the prices stayed exactly the same as what they told us these would be.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Buyer beware, Blue Haven Pools, Frank **, does not honor the lifetime warranty on the structure of the pools he builds. Our pool will not hold water anymore because of all the cracks. I have contacted his office every month for 3 months to get warranty work done. Lisa, his watchdog, covers for him and puts you off so you think something will happen. (Work order.) It doesn't! I guess it's will be small claims court for Frank.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas response

We are sorry to hear about your concerns. We understand that local owner, Frank Aylward, went to meet with you and review the pool, and that there an agreed-upon plan to repair the pool as soon as your family return from an extended trip at the end of the month.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Blue Haven put in a new pool for us and it was a pleasant experience. The designer worked closely with us, came up with a concept based on what our demands and tastes were, and took into account our current architecture and landscaping. It was great. The construction was a messy undertaking but we knew about that and they were very upfront. Including the pool house which we worked with a different contractor for, the project was completed in over eight months. We broke ground in December then had water in the pool in August. We had delays due to weather, but everything was as expected. Also, the interactions we had with the construction team were all very positive. Our pool has seven LED lights and a spa overflow, and we enjoy the lighting, the hot tub and the heating control. We also have some smart features where we can control the pump and the lighting using a phone, making pool maintenance very easy.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Blue Haven's office is down the street from the house. They built our pool and it took them 10 weeks to finish it. The design process was pretty easy. We just went to the office and their rep explained what kind of pool should we have in the yard. They also helped us get a loan and we didn’t have any difficulties in that. Then for the construction, it went smoothly for the most part but in the end, it seemed like they were a little bit less on cleaning up and picking up. And we had to call them back to clean up some of the stuff they left in the yard. We hoped they'd do a little bit better to make it walkable, but they came within a day of us calling them.

We have the color-changing lights, which is my favorite feature, and a fountain in our pool. We also have the SmarPure and the UV. So far, maintaining the pool has been easy and it doesn’t smell like chlorine, so that’s good. All in all, everything went really well. They prepared us through each step and the timeline. When they finished the pool, they came out, gave us a kind of pool school, and went over everything. At that time, it seemed to make sense, but when it was time to do it ourselves, like when it was time to close the pool at the end of the season or to change the chlorine, it was a little mismatched. So they need to do that differently. Other than that, we'd recommend them.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Blue Haven has just been around forever. And I went with them because there were a few pool companies that didn’t get back to me. I also liked Bob’s ideas better and he was just really good to work with. I told them what I wanted and that’s exactly what I got. The construction process was great as well. The team was phenomenal too. I’ve never seen hard workers in my life. We were swimming in the pool in five to six weeks and it's a big pool and it has colored lighting too. Everything was done so perfectly and everything Bob promised, he came through with.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We had a new pool made by Blue Haven and it has special features like fountains, waterfalls and color lining. It's absolutely beautiful. Our experience with Blue Haven was excellent as well. They were great. They asked me what I wanted and I was able to have a design drawn like I wanted. And it turned out perfect and even better than I expected. The construction process was also organized. There was a construction manager that helped out and told us what was going on the whole time.

However, they did hit a sewer line. And every time I'd flush the toilet it would squirt out through the bottom of the pool before they finished the inside. And when you'd go take a shower, the water would empty into the bottom of the pool, and so that had to be fixed. So we had to get some other people in. But we told them that they could still use the lines we have. I have six sewer lines and so they cut through two of them and they said we didn't need all of them. And I was like, "What do you mean we don't need all of them?" "We just cut through them all the time." And I said, "You just cut through them and put the pool down and you don't close them up and, therefore, they still leak through?" That didn't make sense. So, that part I didn't agree with. So my husband just dug. They helped him to dig a hole. He finished it up and cut some stuff down to where it wouldn't leak. And they got it stopped.

We got the smart features in our pool and we absolutely love them. I also love my Jacuzzi. I got the whole pool covered too. They contacted some people from Pensacola, Florida, not far, and they came and did the screen enclosure. And it keeps the leech from getting in there, and so I don't have that much maintenance to do, which is really wonderful with the smart features. And the cover is amazingly low maintenance too. I'd recommend Blue Haven.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The design process with Blue Haven was very good. They came out and talked about the area we wanted and trying to give them an idea of the freeform we wanted to go with, and they did a very good job of showing us all the different options. When we went to the office, they were able to build the design out for us rather quick. We shopped back and forth for a little bit on the minor changes. And overall, it was good. They built it exactly how we wanted and gave us some good feedback. The design consultants were a couple of different people. Seth was new. He was informative, but not near as much as Mitch. Mitch was good. Once he got involved, you can really tell the years of experience under his belt as far as designing and the different options.

My experience with the financing team was quick and easy. It was a very fast process. Once everything was designed, financing was in place. The construction was a fast process too. They kept me in the loop on what was happening and when it was gonna happen. I was foreseeing quite a bit of delays in the beginning, but everything panned out well, weather permitting. I'm in the construction field as well, so I understand the weather has a big impact. The pool was a 100% in 30 days. There were a couple of cracked rocks, missing grout, but they were corrected within a couple of days. The freeform pool has a little waterfall that comes off the spa and a little 6 x 4 foot swim ledge, 3 foot deep, which is great for the kiddos. Blue Haven was a little pricey compared to some, but with the experience I've had and the end product I got, it was worth it.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We had a fiberglass pool in our first house with an independent contractor who contracted out everything. Luckily, that went well but we knew that there were lots of possible pitfalls for there are a lot of nightmares. We wanted to go with Blue Haven this time because they're a nationwide company and with them, we weren't as nervous as some local guy who may or may not show up to finish the job or do it right.

So we called them to come out to give us an idea of what we wanted and how it would look in our backyard. Their design consultant was great. We showed him a couple of pictures we've seen on the internet and he sketched out a couple of things. He made sure that we didn't have a pool that was too small or too big for the type of house and property that we have. After we said okay to the design, he took it back to the office. He sent an AutoCAD drawing and once we approved it, we moved forward with the process of building it. We bought a pool and hot tub and the only upgrade we asked for was the tile coping which was an extra charge. We went with chlorine.

They then told us to expect the construction to be about four to six weeks mainly because of weather issues. They came out and spray painted the area where they were going to dig. They told us in the beginning that they use a thicker type of rebar and use a lot more than other pool companies do. They didn't have any problems excavating and we were comfortable with the way they dug it. They were very careful about digging the lines for the pool and where our yard's sprinklers were. We were impressed with their electrical people as well. And throughout our anticipation, they understood and were patient with us. We were very happy and have suggested Blue Haven to a couple of our friends, one of which has just finished their pool with Blue Haven.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I’ve been telling everybody about Blue Haven Pools. The design process with them was straightforward. We showed up at the sales office and talked to the rep. He asked for the survey which I provided and he was able to pull up a template on my house and designed the pool itself. The design was nice and we liked it. I have the SmartLight and I can change the colors on the pool. It is also a salt-water pool and we have a weeping wall with a waterfall. We then filled out the paperwork and got approved.

Everything was supposed to start before Harvey but because of the rain, it was backed up for about two weeks. But after the digging started, it took about six weeks to complete the pool. I also met up with the supervisor before the construction started and he was always there every single time they had the construction team come over. He made sure that the whole process was going great and he always sent me pictures. If I ever had a question, I could text or call him and he was always able to answer the phone. Also, the construction team all seemed nice and they showed up on time on the day they said they were going to show up. They also cleaned up the whole yard whenever they do the digging.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Blue Haven built a whole new pool, a landscape, an outdoor kitchen, and a fire pit. I talked to the salesman, trying to tell them what I wanted not in detail but I told them it was for my granddaughter in a second home for us, and we're not there all the time, so the system had to be kind of self-sufficient, and they made it so it's wireless. I can control it on my phone here in Idaho where I live. So the designer came back with the design, and it was perfect, so I didn’t change a thing. He seemed very knowledgeable. I went in the office once, and picked out different tiles and colors. We had a few things that I changed as the pool started getting built. They put in a grill too and little minor things. It's a $100,000 pool with landscaping on it. And it was $119,000 total, but I'm happy with it.

Bruce, the construction superintendent, was good. But there was a couple subs that missed the appointments that bothered me. I'm in the construction business, so I tend to get upset about things like that. Subs in Texas are a little different in subs in Idaho. The salesman was fantastic, though. They need more communications between the construction guy and the head office. The communication seemed to be a little bit poor. But when I called the salesman, he got things moving almost immediately. They didn’t really like me calling the salesman. They preferred me to call the job superintendent. But it got done a lot quicker when I called the salesman.

When they broke ground, I thought we'd be able to get in it that first year, but it didn’t get finished until October. We signed the contract when my second granddaughter was born in the end of May, and then it was the first week in October when it was finished. It was built reasonably quick. And it was especially good because I wasn’t there to supervise the whole thing but they did a good job keeping it going when nobody was there. When the pool was finished, it came out exactly the way I wanted it and exactly the way the original design pictures looked. The smart features work great, too. I control it off of my iPhone.

I'd recommend them. If someone wants to build a yard project, Blue Haven is a great company to do it. They know how to do it, and they gave me the right landscape for the deal that I got. I even told Blue Haven that if they had customers who want to come look at our pool, they could feel free to come. It's got all the lights, the night lights and all the landscaping lights. It looks like a hotel resort.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Please DON’T choose Blue Haven for your pool! Investing in a pool was a big decision and sacrifice for our family. We have had an issue with the equipment ongoing for 5 months. We have only had it 9 months. A technician Showed up unannounced once to cover up the problem and has refused to come back. Our $55000 pool is not working! RUN from Blue Haven Metairie! Find someone your friends recommend that give service after the sale.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas response

We have shared your review and concerns with the Metairie office. They have reported that they have contacted your home, reached your wife, apologized for the serious miscommunication Re: your pool heater. The office conveyed to your wife that it has the manufacturer's repair tech scheduled to visit your home this Tuesday to address the pool heater to resolve this for you.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We looked around at a bunch of other people and Blue Haven might not have been the cheapest, but we felt like they were the best quality and they were the most professional, which is important with our new backyard. We had no problems and their design consultants were awesome. They were gonna be here for many months. They came in together and drew up kind of what they thought we were talking about, and they were friendly with our dogs, which is a big thing. We had to find a pool loan, and I set our financing up by myself. And once our contract was there and Blue Haven knew we had the financing, they were really easy to work with. Everyone in the office was professional, and we stuck to the contract.

The workers who did the construction were awesome. We got months of rain, but that’s nobody’s fault. And they let us know where they were, and they answered the phone every time we called. They broke ground in May, and we had our pool first July 30. We didn’t really have a lot of expectations, so it was good that they kept us informed. We tell everybody about how good they were.

Our pool looks like what the design consultants drew. They exceeded our expectations. We have colored lighting changes in the pool, two fountains on a waiting deck, and then we have three jets, but we didn’t put colors in them. We also have a heater and a cooler, which is awesome. I really like the whole thing. We really like having a cooler because by August, it would've been too hot. Other people couldn’t use their pools, so having a cooler was definitely a bonus for us. We like the ozone, too. We don’t have a lot of chlorine. Our dogs drink the water, and they're fine. A stuffed hedgehog went into our skimmer and so our pump was running really weak in the winter. So I videotaped it, and Blue Haven came right over, and they were gonna replace the pump, but then I found the hedgehog and that was raking up on it. It went back to normal, but it was still warrantied for three years, so it's fantastic.

We were gonna build our entire yard a pool, and they figured out that our development has an easement around it, so we would've built our pool into an easement that anytime the city could come and then we would've handed that up. They were the only one that researched it and figured it out, so we figured that was a clincher. They were so nice, and their customer service is good. They might not be the cheapest, but they're definitely competitive. For the value that we got out of it, it was worth it. I'd definitely recommend Blue Haven.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I just completed my second pool building experience with Blue Haven. I had to get an exception from my home builder to use Blue Haven and not the builder's "preferred" pool company. I am so happy that I did. My experience from start to finish was great. Justin designed the perfect pool for the space available, and George showed great oversight and flexibility in getting the pool done in keeping the home construction timeline. I would recommend that everyone compare Blue Haven to all the other big name pool builders in San Antonio. For the product, price, and professionalism, Blue Haven is the best choice in my book.

Resolution response: July 30, 2018

The problems have been subsequently resolved and we are happy with the end result - a working pool/hot tub and a patio deck that drains properly. The water heater also sprung a leak and since it was still under warranty they fixed it.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We had them put in a large hot tub, that some might also classify as a small dipping pool. Amazingly enough from start to finish it took a little over a year. Yes a full year. There were so many problems that we ended up giving up having them fix them. I would definitely steer clear of this company.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We had the son of Blue Haven's owner sat down with me and my wife and we put together the pool and the accessories that we wanted with him. We were told the construction was gonna take six weeks, but it ended up being three and a half months. There were some rainy days that caused the delay, but the crew had a big issue with being able to make communications with their superiors and bosses. As a whole, they were only able to be here for a little short period of time, and then they had to go to another location where they had another pool. They were jumping from little bit of work here, and then a little bit work there. We also got times that no one would show up, but Blue Haven was always quick to say, “Okay. At this point, you owe this money and we follow 100% into the commitment that was set up.” The pool was about three-quarters finished when we've already paid the full amount.

The kids, my family, and my friends enjoy the pool though. But, what was put on the computer screen during the design process was a little bit different than what was actually put into the ground and once it was put together. The biggest part was the decking around the pool and it was much smaller. Our swimming pool has a slide and a waterfall too. In the diagrams from what was shown on the computer screen at their business, it looked like there was all kind of room and everything to move about behind the slide for a person to get in and many other things. But once it was put down, it was also much smaller.

We just had the pool in since December and then right now, I'm having running cracks on the deck of the pool. I have other friends that we have spoken with, and they had people that came out after the pool was finally finished. I tried to find out from these people what I could do about it. They said my ground shifted and what they could do is put Elmer’s glue all the way in the crack. But, the crack goes all the way from one of the cleanout filter locations to the end of the deal and they're gonna fill that with Elmer’s glue and won't paint it. All that is is putting a band-aid on.

We also had an area that was built with a fire pit and the fire pit rock is already cracked. I've mentioned it to them, texted it to them and sent pictures to them. I had employees who've come out too. Then, I've had a main motor seal that’s already gone bad, and they had to come out and replace it. That shouldn’t happen for five years, six years down the line. If Blue Haven cared, they would have done a lot more follow-ups in coming, seeing, wanting to complete and having a person who's really satisfied with their product.

The small RicoRock waterfall that I had them install had also more leak that was running all through the bottom and flooding out through the bottom of this fountain that was put out there with the swimming pool. I sent them a video and Blue Haven gave every excuse in the world as to why that was happening. And I was the one who was having to do everything instead of having someone come out and take charge.

After me calling and calling them, even almost threatening them, they finally came out. They went in there and then we had to go through everything in the world to finally get it fixed. It had a white calcium buildup on the waterfall and it could be the product that they were putting in the pool did not work with the RicoRock. I was the one who had to call one of the manufacturers of that rock and they got with them. Then they got the product sent down. The people from Blue Haven didn’t even know what to do, though.

On Mother’s Day, we have friends over and they were asking what was all that white chalk stuff on the waterfall. Three weeks before that, we were getting right on that and I got so much documentation. It's unbelievable on them and their “We're gonna do this. We're gonna do that.” Also this deal here, it was almost like no one ever knew who was in charge or who was whatever with the deal. Everything has been like pulling teeth with Blue Haven to get any type of response as well. If we had to do it all over again with the whole project, I'd be a lot more agitated. For people interested in doing business with Blue Haven, they should research all aspects and should write down specific deadlines in which things were to be done.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I looked at a couple of other places, and I decided what would fit best where I'm at and wound up with Blue Haven. The consultant was very good. The construction process was great as well. I'd definitely recommend them, and I already have.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The initial process at Blue Haven was great when they came out to measure and shoot grade. But as soon as I gave the sales guy my first check, he became a ghost, so I didn't see enough guys. Then when the construction started, it was great. Jerry, the foreman down here, was amazing. He kept me in the loop on everything. If it wasn't for him, we would not have gone through Blue Haven and we would've canceled everything. AJ was amazing as well. He would drop what he was doing and come show me something on the pool equipment.

However, they had accessed my yard through my neighbor's land and when that was done, they said that everything would be put back the exact way that it was. But the fence wasn't put back the way it needed to be. They totally screwed up my whole fence. The runner boards were all crooked and nails weren't put back in. We have a rectangle pool where we've got a shelf on each side and you can enter from each side. They started March and it was done June 4th, which was fine. Everything is just as I wanted it. But I was having several problems and the lady I spoke to was rude. She basically hung up on me. I called her back but she wouldn't answer my calls. When my wife called from her phone, she answered. I was put on the phone and then she hung up on me again.

Overall I wouldn't recommend Blue Haven to anybody. The building process was great and Jerry was awesome. But the sales guy at the beginning was only nice and understanding 'til I gave 'em a check, and then he wouldn't answer my calls and he'd pawn me off to other people. It wasn't a pleasant experience. The back end stuff, the business and the customer service were utterly unacceptable.

Original review: April 28, 2018

The design process with Blue Haven went well. We wanted a free-form pool and we were able to articulate the design we wanted and it came out like we'd anticipated. We met with the consultant once and then we followed up a couple of times on the phone, and those were good interactions, too. He was good to work with. However, the construction process didn't go quite as well as the design portion did. They drove over the wrong spot of the lawn and ended up causing some issues. One of their dump trucks got stuck in the yard and they tore the yard up 'cause they went the wrong way. But the actual construction of the pool went fine. It's been less than a year, so there are some follow-up issues that we're working with them on. We just reached out to them and we haven't heard back yet, but the experience today has been okay. We had a good experience overall and we would recommend someone else to use them.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I called Blue Haven, made an appointment and then the representative came out. He helped draw up the plans and the process was very simple. He was great and straightforward, and there were no hassle and no fuss. I went through a pool loan and their finance team was really good. During the construction process of the pool, AJ kept in touch with us every step of the way and our calls were returned promptly. When they made a mistake, they fixed it. They had put the wrong color in the pool but they quickly remedied it and made it right. The team members were all very polite. They came early one time, but they were always prompt. They tried to get it done as quick as possible, but then as conscientious as possible. They also cleaned up their mess. So, it was really good and surprisingly, ours was not a bad experience compared to the horror stories that we've heard with other pool builders.

The construction took about two and a half months tops and I didn't expect it to be done as quick as it did. I was afraid at first and had to ask if the pool is gonna hold water. Nonetheless, our pool has the lights, the vacuum system, the heater, and my favorite feature which is the waterfall. I also got all of Blue Haven's SmartFeatures and my husband does the maintaining. Moreover, I already referred someone to Blue Haven and so I'm waiting for my $250 referral.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Blue Haven had a gentleman come over and he gave us some virtual of what the pool would look like with sound effects and a 3D panoramic view. That was very impressive and one of the strong points why we went with them. We also sat down with their design consultant and kinda gave him an idea of what we wanted. Then he went and came back with what we asked for. It was a very good experience on that piece of the building process. We paid for the pool outright then there were three-four major steps in the construction process. They started coming out, digging it, spraying it, pouring it, and finalizing it. There were some time delays due to the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing because they used some subcontracting. And we kinda wished that there was a little bit better communication as far as what was gonna happen. The other downfall was the subcontractor was leaving the site pretty messy.

Other than that, Blue Haven's on-site manager, Allen, would come by daily and that was where we would speak through. I don't know Spanish very well, so, I was not able to communicate to their construction team very well. Our lot was very constrained due to utility easements here in Broken Arrow and they were able to fit the pool within the easements. The one special area that we had on the pool was of a layout deck that's got about three inches of water in. So, you put your lounge chair on that.

We also got pretty much everything imaginable. We got the auto turn-on and auto turn off, the heater, and the automatic refill that I had tied into our sprinkler system. Then we had three waterfall features added to it and the colored lighting. Our favorite feature that we purchased outside of the pool is the Pool Vac by Shark. We purchased it through Blue Haven and it's a Hayward, which is the brand that they use. We turn the thing on and it keeps our pool vacuum nice and clean. Then I got a chemical guy that comes once a week and I net it every so often.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Haven Pools builds and remodels in-ground concrete swimming pools and spas. Its offices around the United States have provided inground pools for tens of thousands of homeowners since 1954.

• Design and construction: Blue Haven Pools specializes in a full range of standard and custom designs with a wide array of features ranging from tanning ledges to infinity edges.

• Technology: Blue Haven’s private-label equipment line, SmartFeatures™, includes options like antimicrobial filters, handheld- and smartphone-compatible remote controls, water- and energy-efficient equipment and alternative water sanitizing systems.

• Licensing: Individual offices are fully insured and licensed to build pools in their local markets.

• Warranty: Individual offices provide limited lifetime structural warranties.

• Financing: To make it easier to pay for pools over time, Blue Haven offices help facilitate loans through a national network of home-improvement lenders and finance programs.

• Best for: homeowners interested in concrete gunite/shotcrete pools and spas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Company Information

Affordable Inground Pools & Remodels
50+ U.S. Offices
www.bluehaven.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business