Call toll free
4.43/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

More than 50 U.S. Blue Haven offices design and build inground custom pools & spas to meet your style and budget preferences. Local designers provide free in-home consultations and will illustrate your backyard dream with a custom plan—and in some locations, will present concepts with 3-D virtual reality software. Best of all, our exclusive state-of-the-art SmartFeatures™ make pool ownership easier & more economical than ever before. In the last 20 years alone, offices across the country have successfully completed nearly 80,000 new pools!

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

399 Blue Haven Pools & Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We had an architect design a pool and Blue Haven built it. This is the second pool that Blue Haven has done for us and Bob was excellent and knowledgeable. We operate the pool through a smartphone. The lights, the backyard lights, the overflow features, and the infinity have been wonderful. Every feature that we have is beautiful. Blue Haven was very professional, and they provided very excellent service and superior construction.

Get expert buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I only wanted gunite, and out of everyone I talked to in this area, Blue Haven was the best for what I wanted. We did a lot of research for four months figuring out what type of shape and design we wanted. The designer helped us put a little bit of it together with the dimensions of our backyard and making sure we chose appropriate colors based on my limited creative mind could come up with.

The pool was installed in December and the construction team stayed on top of everything. We got a pool and a gas firepit put in, and they had to do a little bit of modifications on the underground piping. They were awesome and very accommodating to our schedule. We went through a tropical storm and a hurricane at the time that we started the construction. They also didn't charge me any extra when I had to delay a little bit. They did well. Blue Haven is a very professional group. The pool is beautiful and everyone tells me it’s gorgeous. I'm very happy with the end product. If someone's specifically looking for a quality gunite pool and they're willing to spend the money, that’s 100% what Blue Haven will give.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Blue Haven had a designer come out. He laid all the necessary sculptures to try to see exactly where the pool and landscaping would go and also when the water came down when it would rain, so it wouldn't go into the pool. He met my expectations. The rep was also nice. I told her I had to put some on the credit card towards the end. She was very helpful. However, the people who came out and taught me how to use the swimming pool itself could be a little more specific with their directions. Even so, the construction team was nice, friendly and they tried to make sure they didn't make a mess. They picked up their waters and their cups. I offered them drinks down here and they were very grateful. The pool that I got has the waterfall out of the hot tub. It has a slide, a basketball court, and it has two ledges in it. But I still have to call Blue Haven. They put one umbrella holder in, and they still owe me three more. The guy told me to just mark it.

Also, George, the supervisor that I had, was great. He was overseeing everything. One of the pipes broke on Christmas. I called Blue Haven the day after, and George sent somebody out right away even if it was pouring down rain. I’d tell others that the people from Blue Haven are very professional and knowledgeable and if others chose Blue Haven, they would have no worries.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I called just about every pool company in my area to try to get a sense of their operation. I spent countless hours online reading reviews and ended up having three companies at the house for a quote Blue Havens was in the middle but not by much. They pricing was plus or minus 3 or 4 thousand dollars. We chose Blue Haven because they seemed to be the bigger company. We signed the contract for approximately $80,000 for everything. Which was to be paid as they completed the job.

It took about 8 months for them to complete the job at more than $10,000 over the contract price while destroying my driveway and yard. Be careful. They will go over the contract with you with all your options, which includes the decking, and you will sign off on the price. A short time later they will go over they decking with you and have you sign another document saying the included sq ft of decking included is 900 sq ft. Then a price will be shown which in my case was over $10,000. The salesman states this number is already included in the price and you are signing for the agreed upon sq ft.

During the insulation of the Gunite we received about 2 inches of rain which caused the deep end of the pool wall to collapse. While going over the build process the salesman noted our newly paved driveway and stated their truck would have to go through the yard so they do not damage the driveway. Due to the heavy rain Blue Haven Gunite trucks used the driveway instead of the yard. Their back tires sank into my asphalt driveway 3 or 4 inches. Blue Haven refused to fix it stating the contract relieves them of any damage costs. Then seven months and $60,000 into the build you will get a call saying they are ready to do the decking and need the $10,000. You will refuse to pay it and they will tell you it doesn’t matter what the salesman said the fine print on the bottom of the decking document states that the $10,000 is in addition to the $80,000 pool.

At that point you can either pay it or live with a big muddy $60,000 hole in your backyard. We paid it and they finished the decking. It took another 2 months after the pool was finished for them to get the electronic controls to work. The lights would never be in sync and every time the heater turned on the electrical line running from my house to the pool would buzz and vibrate the floor in my bedroom. The bottom line is Blue Haven is made up of a lot of small contractors and if you have problems the large company support you thought you had doesn’t exist. The local company here in Northern Virginia is made up of conman and they will cuss out your wife on the phone and dare you to sue them, stating they have been sued many times and never lost. Do not make the same mistake I did. I have videos and pictures of all the damaged and failed pool walls to prove it.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We moved to a new neighborhood that was 20 minute from the beach. After few months we decided to get a pool, in the meantime we met our 1st neighbor that had purchased a pool from Blue Haven. She invited us over and looked at her pool, as picky as I am we decided to give it a shot. We first interviewed 3 pool contractors, Blue Haven was the last one and after meeting with Jim ** we decided it was the right company to chose.

He was very professional and polite and he demonstrated everything like it’s today. A couple weeks later we met at their office in St. John’s bluff Jacksonville Florida. We sat down and discussed everything and closed on the deal. In the meantime we met with Mike the owner and Bob the field manager. After a short conversation we knew we were in a good hands. From start to finish it was less than 90 days as promised despite the weather conditions.

Our home was treated with respect and Bob made sure that everything was done properly and correctly. Anytime we called the office about any concern, staffs were very polite and answered any question we had. To make the story long short it was a pleasure dealing with Blue Haven and Mike the owner made his last stop to look at our pool and made sure we were very satisfied. Do yourself a favor and look no further if you decide to buy a pool. We can’t wait for the warm weather to enjoy it. Thank you again Blue Haven team of Jacksonville Florida!

Blue Haven Pools & Spas response

Thank you for the nice feedback and for posting the photos as well. We are happy to hear about your experience with the Jacksonville office, and we wish you many years of fun with your new backyard resort.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Haven Pools & Spas?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This is our second pool and we’re glad we went with Blue Haven again. I would tell others to use Blue Haven as well. From a previous house, we already had a pool that Blue Haven built and when we moved to this house, we did some shopping around. But everybody either blew us off or gave a price that was so high. It was either they wouldn’t call us back or they wouldn’t come out. We decided to call Blue Haven back and they came with a reasonable build. The designer was really good too. We have a son with special needs so we designed the pool for him, and the designer took all of that into account. He listened to what we wanted and he designed the pool.

Then the foreman who was out here was really great too. He listened to us and he kept in contact with me really well. I had his number so I could text and ask him questions anytime. He also gave us suggestions for the caulking, the colors and all that kind of stuff. He told us what he would do if it was his pool. Most of the delays we encountered were not Blue Haven’s issue either. It had to do with the HOA that we were in. But the foreman finished the pool really fast because we were on a deadline, and the pool looks perfect. We have the SmartPure Ozone and we colored the pool, in the plaster, then we had them build a very large deck. Blue Haven had that software to show what the pool would look like next to the house. And it all came up pretty close to what the designer had laid out.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Blue Haven's designer explained to me the pool sizes based on family size. He explained which size would be the most optimal and which I had to take into consideration. I thought what he did was awesome because he didn't try to sell me on the largest expensive pool. Instead, he tried to sell me on what my family would need and then, we went from there as to what we would want. We didn't go fancy with the pool's design. We wanted a big size because we have a big family, so we dumped our money into the size as opposed to the decoration.

The construction team was amazing and I would never hesitate to recommend them to anybody. All of the people who came out to do the work said that Scott builds a really good pool. Even the pool guy who cleans our pool has had Scott build two pools for him. He said Blue Haven is definitely a quality pool. Scott gets very busy though, which kinda sucks, and then we had a huge fire in the middle of the construction period. Some of the workers left, so that delayed some things. But for the most part, it was an amazing experience. They were there on time and they did the job they said they were gonna do. If I had questions, they answered them. We have a remote control pump and the LED lighting with five lights. Those features come basic. We also got the upgraded vacuum and we upgraded our pump. We've got an amazing pool, and I would tell my friends to definitely look into Blue Haven.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Blue Haven helped me with my pool loan. Their financing team was great. The pool plan that the designer created for me was great. We're totally thrilled with everything. The construction team was great, too. They arrived on time and did their job and got done on time. They told me that the construction would take 60 days after they dug a hole, and they met that. We got a self-cleaning pool. It has the automated pads that we could use to turn everything on. It's got the flooring and a waterfall, too. They put an extra waterfall on the side and that was cool. They also put a wet deck, and I had colored lighting put in which was great. We love that.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We worked with Gary from Blue Haven and his pool plan went beyond my expectations. Our backyard is greater than a 45 degree slot. So, he had to build that for one side of the pool, and then we have the pool on the main level, and we have a stacked-stone wall for an upper patio. He had them do the stacked-stone where it wasn’t just flat, the rest were stacked. It’s beautiful. But we had problems with the stacked-stone wall they were doing it. The subcontractor guy who had come out to do that wall had gotten three quarters of the way through and had to go get another piling of stones. But it was a different color. They did the whole wall, and when I went out after they had left, it was quite crappy.

I called Gary, and he came out and told me he was gonna deal with it. He had the subcontractor come back out, and take that rock off. They got another batch of stones, put it in, and left. I went outside and called Gary, and told him that it was not the same stone. It was more of the same color, but the other stone was more square and flat, but this one was more rounded. You could tell where there was different stones. Gary told me they would get it done, and the third time was beautiful. But the pool was not finished. He kept telling us we would be swimming by Memorial Day. But last spring was very rainy, and we had some crappy weather. We weren’t in by Memorial Day, then it was to be in by the 4th of July. We weren’t in by the 4th of July, but we were in on the 5th of July.

The pool is free-form with two sheer descent off the rock wall, and then the spa has an overflow into it. It’s so relaxing and beautiful. It’s a heated pool, and when we turned the heater on for the first time in September, I had to call Gary on October 2nd because the heater was leaking. He told me that it was under warranty and gave me who I needed to call to come out and fix it. When I called that group out to come fix it, the guy said it was absolutely a malfunctioning piece of equipment and it’s got to be covered under warranty. When I took it back to Hayward to deal with the warranty, they said it was not covered because I had too much chlorine in the pool and it ruined the heater. But Gary said that was not right so he came out, and he worked on it.

He bought the new piece and got someone to install it so that I didn’t have to deal with anything, other than I had about a month where we were arguing with Hayward and trying to get my heater fixed. Gary said he would handle Hayward on his own. He did an amazing job with the pool. He’s gonna tell you what needs to be said, whether you wanted to hear it or not. He tells you exactly what’s gonna happen, what’s gonna work, and what’s not going to work, which I greatly appreciated. I would work with him again. I would recommend him.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We had Blue Haven put in a customized walk-in-styled pool. It has two waterfalls and two bubblers. It’s dark blue and then a sandy beach entrance. We got the saltwater because it has a cleaner feel when you get in and out of the water. You don't feel the chlorine all over you. The pool installatin took longer, but the weather was kinda cloudy when we were doing it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Blue Haven did a great job. The design was pretty straightforward. We did the tub vac cleaners, and also the filtration and did some Ozone. The construction team was very good. Their construction time was regulated by the house. They did the shell first. After it got to the point where the outside of the house was painted, they came right away and set up. When they were done, I was really impressed. It was almost seamless. They were really good in communication and they were quick when they head up to do the work. So, I was really happy. We love the pool, and I referred Blue Haven to a lot of people.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I had seen the work that Blue Haven had done in the neighborhood, and it looked like a quality product so we had them come over. The whole experience was easy, and we didn’t have any stress. Almost weekly or daily, we went back there and spoke with them and looked at areas of concern, and they addressed it immediately. It was really good. We got bar stools, a waterfall and beach entrance. There were a lot of additional features. I would recommend them to any family or friends.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

The staff at Blue Haven is awesome. This is my third pool installation and I have been totally impressed from start to finish by the staff of Blue Haven. Every issue or question during the construction or post installation has been immediately addressed and fixed. A special thank you to Darryl, Susan, Elizabeth and Stephanie who have gone above and beyond make this project seamless. I would highly recommend them to anyone thinking of installing a pool.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

September 2017 was the completion of the second pool from Blue Haven. I had a great experience at my previous house with Blue Haven. The same foreman Jorge and many of the same workers were on the project again. That was comforting but this experience has not been good from the start. Joe ** who designed and sold the pool missed several key things that I wanted on this pool that I didn't have on my other one such as autofill, umbrella holes in the patio. Jorge was great at resolving some of the issues and improving the layout of the pool. The gunite was a concern as it had large holes in it and was crumbling from the start. I was assured it was sound and that the workers were just sloppy.

By November 2017 the coping and flagstone was splitting from around the tile in the shallow end and the deck was turning white in many spots. Jorge had someone come out and patch the coping and repaint the deck in February. May 2018 the coping was split again around most of the pool and the deck around the filter was cracked right through the flagstone pieces. I will attach pictures. June 2018 the flagstone in the shallow end was taken off and redone. (To date the caulking has yet to be finished). Pictures and videos were sent to Jorge of the cracks and shifting of the filter. I was given the answer that it is all cosmetic because it was built on farmland. My two neighbors who also have Blue Haven pools have not had that issue. I was told that they would come and fix everything and repaint the deck for a second time the second week of July. No one came.

Jorge sent me an email July 12, 2018 stating that they would do the warranty work. July 23, 2018 the filter was leaking and Ab had to come out and fix it. July 24, 2018 I spoke with John ** at the San Antonio office and I received a text from Jorge that Sundek will be coming in the fall to fix the cracks and paint the discolorations and do the mastic. July 28, 2018 Jorge came and took pictures. September 15, 2018 I called John ** to check on the timeline for the repairs. He stated that they have another build in Uvalde so they will come and do the repairs. I emailed John ** pictures with descriptions at that time.

November 5, 2018 I sent another email to John ** to check the status and again there has not been any response. I am at a loss for what to do as the repairs are certainly not a priority. Seeing the quality of my last pool and seeing the quality of this pool it is so disheartening to think that I spent more money on this. I am hoping that someone will contact me and get this resolved as it does not seem to be a priority at the San Antonio office to even return calls or emails.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Blue Haven has good reviews and good customer service. We wanted to have a pool put in the house, and they were quick to get our pool done. They were also very thorough and easy to work with. The installation and construction of our pool took about three weeks and the reps had been right out any time we needed anything. Our pool is kidney-shaped and we have a tanning ledge. We vacuum it, clean out the filters, monitor the chlorine and do the typical pool cleaning. We love our new pool, overall.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We did a bunch of research and looked at several pool manufacturers within San Antonio and got bids from a few before we decided to go with Blue Haven. A big part of our decision was the Blue Haven salesperson that I was dealing with was forthright and honest about the information putting out in the difficulties that would be faced, and was completely upfront with the total pricing, and gave me some options as opposed to others who just didn't. It wasn't the best price that I could get for a pool, but all considered and the type of equipment that I got, it was the best deal I could get.

We got a modified kidney shape pool with a hot tub at one end and a waterfall that flows over into the pool. It's 33 x 17 x 6 1/2-foot deep. It's nice. I also have the Ozone. I don't have the remote yet but I have the variable speed pump. I also have the infrared and the 600-yard quad cartridge filter. We ran a little bit behind with the installation initially, trying to break through a rock. But they had to stand eight days straight with a jackhammer, much to my neighbors' despair, in order to make the pool deep enough to set the deep end of the pool. Apparently, there were 18 inches of soil, and the rest was solid bedrock.

We also had some rain intermittently. Getting the plumbers in and getting it all done in the right order was the difficult part with the weather at that time. But it was all done in the way they planned it. The whole project took about two months. Other than the electricity to run the pump, the maintenance is minimal. Blue Haven did a great job. We had a good experience with them. I would recommend them to anyone that asks me.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We had a great experience with Blue Haven. We were moving to Florida and we wanted a pool. We had Gary come to our house and he was very helpful and he designed the pool with my husband together. Then he made us an offer and it looked good. And so, we decided to go with Blue Haven. Our pool is wavy all-around and it is almost like a figure eight. We have some accentuation on the steps, so we’ll see them better.

The installation went smoothly. The person who was in-charge of it came by every day to make sure everything was going the way it should be. The workers were very polite and kept the area clean. They came at the right time, too. They came in the morning and finished at 9:30 in the evenings. We were very satisfied with them. Our pool was completed in three and a half weeks, which was quick. We'll highly recommend Blue Haven. We had two friends who built pools with them already, and they had the same experience. So, if we would build a pool again, we would use Blue Haven again. They were very helpful. When we had questions, they answered them quickly.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We wanted to have a pool since we moved into our house 22 years ago. We interviewed four different companies and the numbers were similar across the board, but Dominick from Blue Haven Pools & Spas followed right up to me. He seemed super on the ball and responsive. We got a 50 x 18 ft rectangle pool that's 4 ft x 6 ft deep. It has three steps in a corner running diagonally, and one bench at the deep end underneath the water so a person has an exit strategy for the deep end if he wants, or just to sit on it inside the water. We also have an automatic cover for the pool. The process took six weeks and the installation was very much on schedule, except when we had a lot of rain. One of the contractors ended up in the hospital and couldn’t come as he was supposed to. He came a few days later and everybody did their job quickly. Dominick is excellent at what he does. I have recommended him and his company to other people.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We got some small kids and we are in the phase of our lives where having a pool is what we wanna do in the summer down here in Florida. So, we did. Our pool designer from Blue Haven, Bill, met our expectations with the pool plan. Our pool has a great design. It has a rock waterfall and a spa. The installation was good. And from start to finish, the whole project took about four months. We did it this summer in Florida and it was a rainy summer, and there are a lot of days that we lost because of rain delays. Everything was great and I’m very happy and satisfied with our pool. I was in it all summer.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

When we went for our evaluation with Blue Haven, they displayed a good sales pitch so we went with them. They gave us a kidney design pool with a little foot level as well as a waterfall. However, we did not have a good installation experience as Blue Haven delayed and did not keep their word. The process took forever and I had a hole in my backyard for a month when nobody did anything.

Also, they pitched like we were going to have the Blue Haven Smart Features but then we went over the evaluation and it turned out that we weren't. They talked about how the pool was going to be automated and it would have an automatic fill-up feature but those did not happen. Moreover, we were paying for the extra according to them so if we wanted to put a heater in, we'd have room already on the pad. That wasn't there either. They spread everything out so we still have to pay somebody to do that. When I wasn't completely done being humiliated by them, we talked about getting a heater and they never got us a quote.

The subcontractors and the overall manager of the pool did pretty well. The same could be said of the people who did the decking. While I'm satisfied with the pool that was built, Blue Haven's customer support was horrible. Getting a hold of them or having them call back was hard. I really believe they strove to ignore me and hoped I would go away. Also, financing was fine but Blue Haven was charging us before the pool was built. After they took the pool in, the light went out and they never fixed that either. Once we signed the contract, they acted like they had me and that my happiness is secondary.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My wife worked or went to school with one of the general managers of Blue Haven. We knew it from him and had a lot of faith in that relationship. They had a good process and the people were nice and did what was right. Brandon, my designer, was knowledgeable and very upfront. I did my own financing on the pool but I didn't have any cost that came out of the blue. The construction team was very easy to deal with and if we had questions, they were more than willing to answer. They also picked up their things. I love the customization of the pool. We have the standard lighting, the tanning ledge and we were able to make the pool to whatever shape we wanted. We have the Smart Pure Ozone but I have to get used to it. It's my first year to go through with maintaining the pool for a long period of time and it takes some time to grasp how much chlorine is really needed. There is also the remote which is self-explanatory.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We looked up Blue Haven and we did some pricing. We liked their price. We went to their designer's office and then talked with him about the design. Then, somebody came over to our house, took measurements, and we signed a contract. It was off to the races after that. We got a 16x30 sports pool, so it's shallow on both ends and it's deeper in the middle. I got the ultraviolet installed as well. They said if I wanted an app that I can control from my phone, it was gonna be an extra three grand. And I said, "Forget that."

The installation wasn't bad. However, they never mentioned that there was a potential to screw up my sprinkler system. They just said, "Hey, if we break a sprinkler, we're not responsible for it." I told them it was not a problem. But then when they were done with the pool, my sprinkler system didn't work on the front yard. The whole thing was gone. I think they severed some of the wires that go to the control box. When the landscaper guy from Blue Haven came, he said it was gonna cost me 1,700 bucks. I was kinda pissed off about that because I just paid for the pool, and they were telling me I gotta pay almost two grand to get it fixed. I ended up fixing it myself, which I wasn't too happy about. They've been doing this for a while. So, they know some of the things to look out for, and they didn't warn me. Also, the landscaper wasn't very good. He didn't put things back right and there were a couple of things that he didn't do very well.

The whole project was completed after a few months, which was fine because it was winter and it was raining. Inspectors had to come out. There were certain things they couldn't do like laying cement because of the rain. I really like my pool. It's great having it in the summertime. The only thing is the decking seems to have faded a little too quickly and there are some cracks. I called Blue Haven and they said, "Yeah, we're gonna take a look at it and come and fix it. Blah, blah, blah." They also explained that that happens with cement and with paint. So, I gotta call them back and have them come out and redo the deck. Overall, Blue Haven is good and I'm glad the project was over.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Blue Haven sold us a pool and the designer who we never heard from again wasn’t so good. The original design didn’t fit the space provided, but the project manager fixed it and he was really good. He did more designing than anybody. Our contractor thought the smart feature was good, and we’re happy with our pool. We have a small space, so the current design is good because we got a big pool for a small space.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

A guy from Blue Haven came and took measurements. We gave him some general information, and he already had a scanned copy our property’s survey then he came and met with us, and he already had an idea of what he thought would give us the biggest pool for our yard’s size. He explained it to us, and walked through the yard with us, and told us where everything would be. With the computer that they had, we were able to really see what it was gonna look like when it was finished including all the stonework and decking. After we okayed the plans for everything and agreed on a price, construction started three weeks later. We paid half down and they hooked us up with someone that was able to walk us through financing the other half.

Peter, the foreman, kept me informed on what’s happening. He came and marked the project off, then a few days later, came back and dug the hole, which took longer than one full day. Then we got a lot of rain for a week. They came once it dried up a little bit and pumped out whatever remaining water was in the hole. Then they went ahead and did all the rebar work in it, and then sprayed the gunite which had to cure for seven days. Once that was finished, they came and started doing the plaster, then they did the tile work which went on for three days. They then did the stonework around the edge and the decking. The whole thing took 27 days to be 100% complete.

We can program the pool’s pump to run on high during the day and low at night, also program the lights to turn on when it’s dark and off when the sun comes up. We also ended up getting a robot that cleans the pool, and I will never be without one because I don’t wanna do it. Also, we were surprised because we didn’t realize how big and deep it was actually gonna be once it was sitting in the ground. So, it was better than what we originally had imagined.

Considering that they extended my patio and the pool, the price I paid for it wasn’t bad. I have a second patio now and a sidewalk completely around. Other places just wanted to drop a pool in the ground with no patio and it was $2,000 more than what I paid for this one (including the robot). So, for the value, I don’t think you could really do any better. They were great, I’ve told other people about them and I’d use them again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This is not something I usually do. However this incident is being reported all the way up 4 months ago or so. My husband and I received a quote, we signed a contract and scheduled to have everything start by November. We needed to get some financial in place and the salesman agreed to work with us. Contract was signed and all was good. We reached out to Blue Haven Pools two weeks ago. The salesman is no longer with the company and so another salesman came through to “finalize” things. We were told most of what was promised would be worked on and some other things needed to be discussed with the owner.

The owner was to stop by and review the property etc. We get an email today stating they “can’t” get their equipment through and they are voiding the contract. Just like that. The owner, never walked the property. Nothing was discussed. Of course we are taking this to our lawyers. Glad to see other have had a good experience. We didn’t get the same. It’s a shame.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas response

We are sorry to hear about your experience with this Florida office, and we spoke to the local team about it. Our understanding is that the sales manager did meet with you at your home to review the project, and at that time he expressed his serious reservations about the access and that Mike (who has decades of pool construction experience) would check it out. Mike did visit the property when you were not home, but the local team failed to inform you. So we can certainly understand your assumption that he did not visit and why you would be upset about this; anyone would be! We also understand that communicating the contract cancellation via email was wrong--no question about it. They mishandled delivering the bad news and should have called to explain the issues. This office has a long, overwhelmingly positive track record with clients, and they have definitely taken your feedback to heart; of course, we recognize that this does not change your bad experience, but Mike will be personally calling to apologize to you for letting you down on the communication front.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Blue Haven reps were great. They came out and looked at the backyard, then we discussed the shape of the pool. They sketched it out for me, we changed a few things, they came out and once the land was cleared, they spray painted it on the ground, dug it out, and went from there. We paid upfront. They said, the construction would take four weeks or a little over four but it took just shy of five weeks. They spray painted the design on the ground, dug it out, tested it for a minute to see if water was gonna fill up from the bottom.

They built the sides up from around there, did a rebarred frame, then the gunite. And then, they added the jets and finally, the water. We also have colored lighting that I can change with a remote that we got extra, a tanning ledge that was built into the pool, a fountain jet type thing on the tanning ledge and a hole for an umbrella. The construction team was fantastic. The project manager was great. He responded to text really quickly or called if I needed anything. The team themselves were also friendly if I had any questions. Blue Haven is easy to maintain. It's great and I would recommend them to a neighbor.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I googled pool companies and talked to several. Blue Haven seem like the best one for the right amount of money. I did a lot of research so I told them what I wanted and I asked them how it works. Chris, the salesperson, came out and gave us a rundown. He did a bit of a sales pitch as to why Blue Haven is better than others. He answered my questions as far as using the pebble texture versus the plaster and other things like that. The process was painless. I ended up going with a basic pool and got it for about what I wanted to pay. I drew out the pool that what I wanted and I ended up cutting some corners of my deck to save a couple of bucks. I paid for the pool in installments.

I just went with the most basic design - a rectangle, deep in the middle, shallow on the ends, a hot tub that’s level with the ground, centered on the corner of the pool. And, it’s salt water. The construction was quicker than they estimated it. They came in, had a ninja with a bobcat and cut the whole hole without overcutting anything. It was done in a day and they came out and re-barred it. Then they shot it and let it cure a little while. And then, they came out and run the plumbing and the electrical. The whole process was painless and it exceeded my expectations.

We were hoping to have it ready for my oldest daughter’s birthday. They broke ground early March and they finished right around the end of March or early April. And then it sat there running with water, curing and getting right of the breaking in period for a month before her birthday. So, it all timed up well. They did everything well. However, their electrical contractor wasn’t as good as the rest of their contractors but they remedied the situation. They ended up installing a panel on the far side of my equipment making it hard to get to. In order to fix that, they gave me a little touch panel to control it. So, no harm, no foul.

Jacob, their construction manager was very accommodating. However, there was some miscommunication between me and the design team, and the construction team as far as where the hot tub was. I watched them and I said, “Hey, you need to move that about a foot this way.” And they did it. I had them do a brick coping because it was cheaper than doing bullnose concrete. And then, I had two and a half feet of deck. It all looks like one piece of deck. They were gonna short me about a half foot of deck but I noticed it and they had no issues with it. They were very professional.

I’d recommend Blue Haven and I’d insist that they request Jacob as their construction manager. Out of everybody I worked with, he was my favorite. The sales guy was accommodating but after he sells the pool and it went to construction, he was hands off. But the construction manager was very upfront and helped out when he could.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have some friends in the construction business and one of them recommended Blue Haven because they were always on time and they would get the projects done either on time or ahead of time. He said Blue Haven isn't the cheapest in town, but that if I want any projects done in time, Blue Haven is a better company to go with. And that was what we experienced. Blue Haven reps came over and showed me what possible designs they had and what they have done in the past. Based on the square feet of my backyard, they showed me what options would work with my style of home and we landed on a design.

The design consultant was a really nice guy. But when it came down to selecting the fixtures like the tiles and colors, they left it completely up to me. I understand that but they could have given me some guidance as to what they typically see with what customers pick or what makes a pool look refreshing or the kind of combination people will go with if they want more of a darker looking pool. I had to pry that information out of the designer to the point where I had to tell him that I’m not in the pool business. I don’t know what works or what’s customary and what's the best combination in terms of color of the pool with the color of the side tiles. I needed a pool built and whatever color combinations they think work and don't work well, I wanna know.

The financing team told us what they are accustomed to doing and how they set up. We found a better financing option outside of Blue Haven and the other company that we went with for financing changed their policy to fit Blue Haven a little bit better. But Blue Haven helped arrange approval and they took care of all of it.

Also, the contractors that they hired to do the excavation were pretty quick. But they showed up ahead of schedule and we weren't prepared to receive them. All the paperwork with the association was fine and they knew they were coming, though. We just didn’t know the particular day they showed up and Blue Haven didn’t know either. I know the construction game is kind of crazy, but we’re paying a lot of money and we have to arrange our personal schedule to let guys come in and do their thing. Blue Haven could have better control of updating and letting us know who was coming when and who needed permission to get in our gate. The guys would just show up and I would have to ask what was going on. It was a little bit challenging on that side.

Coming on to the end when it was time for inspection, that was when we got an idea. We were told the inspector was gonna come and what he was gonna do and what he looks for. The guy that did that with us was pretty good. I just wish he was confident telling us that each step along the way. It might have been a hassle on their part or more energy for them on their side but it would have made a world of a difference for us being the homeowner knowing what was coming next. But in terms of coordinating the progress of it, Blue Haven did a pretty good job. After the excavators, the rebar guys came in and did their thing quickly and then, the concrete guys blasted all around and did their testing. I was really pleased with the coordination of who came one after the other. There was never a mix-up.

We had a hurricane came through in the middle of our construction but Blue Haven got the project done. It was delayed by a couple of days with getting the contractors to get the equipment back out on site. But we didn’t sweat it at all and it wasn't much compared to what I've heard other people experience when a storm comes through. When I shared that experience with a couple other friends, they were shocked because everybody else in construction felt significant delays. I was pretty impressed that Blue Haven was all ready to get back on site and continue and keeping the project going as quickly as possible. The construction process took 9 weeks and everything was according to schedule. And the pool absolutely met our expectations. It's a custom, freeform design which is a hybrid of a bean shape but not a complete bean shape. Also, we added the LED colored light and the heater.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I sat down with someone from Blue Pool and told him how big I wanted the pool. We discussed some ideas and he moved the stairs around the way I wanted them so having the pool designed was easy and simple. We could have actually build the pool in two weeks. But we had to wait for the licensing and the permit process. It took too long. I signed the contract in October and they told me it was three months to get the pool be the done. It wasn’t done until March. But that was the only downside of the whole thing because once they did the work, it was quick. I have a semi-circle ozone pool that has a shelf with a bubbler on it. It makes a nice sound. It’s beautiful. I was happy with the construction and quality of the work. Blue Haven was easy to work with. They listen to you and they're responsive. When you have an issue, they’ll come out and fix something.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Blue Haven's design process was well. They got a great sales person that had the ability to draft the design up electronically. John, the design consultant was fantastic. Construction with them was fair which took six weeks. The tile and coping took the longest to finish but everything else was smooth. We had a standard 15 by 30 rectangle pool done and a hot tub. Just clean and simple. For the most part, my experience has been pleasant. They just need to focus on the education of how to maintain the pool, how to keep it pretty and clean and not destroy the plaster. That would be important because we've already ruined our plaster in the first year only. Nonetheless, I'd definitely recommend Blue Haven Pools & Spas.

Blue Haven Pools & Spas expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Haven Pools builds and remodels in-ground concrete swimming pools and spas. Its offices around the United States have provided inground pools for tens of thousands of homeowners since 1954.

• Design and construction: Blue Haven Pools specializes in a full range of standard and custom designs with a wide array of features ranging from tanning ledges to infinity edges.

• Technology: Blue Haven’s private-label equipment line, SmartFeatures™, includes options like antimicrobial filters, handheld- and smartphone-compatible remote controls, water- and energy-efficient equipment and alternative water sanitizing systems.

• Licensing: Individual offices are fully insured and licensed to build pools in their local markets.

• Warranty: Individual offices provide limited lifetime structural warranties.

• Financing: To make it easier to pay for pools over time, Blue Haven offices help facilitate loans through a national network of home-improvement lenders and finance programs.

• Best for: homeowners interested in concrete gunite/shotcrete pools and spas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Blue Haven Pools & Spas Company Information

Affordable Inground Pools & Remodels
50+ U.S. Offices
www.bluehaven.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.