Brinks vs. Xfinity
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
What is the difference between Brinks and Xfinity?
Brinks and Xfinity offer quality wireless home security, and both have strong points. While Xfinity requires you to rely on its internet service, it also provides the option of self-monitoring. Brinks only has professional monitoring, but it doesn’t tie you to a specific internet or cellular provider.
Installation and cost
|Installation fee||$200 to $450||$100|
|Upfront cost||$199 to $699||Equipment cost of $360 to $600+; financing available|
|Trial period||30-day risk-free||30-day money-back guarantee|
|Contract terms||36 months||Two years|
|Professional||$200 to $450||$199 to $699||30-day risk-free||36 months|
|Professional||$100||Equipment cost of $360 to $600+; financing available||30-day money-back guarantee||Two years|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$39.99 to $49.99/month||$30+|
|Monitoring options||Professional||Professional and self-monitored|
|Self-monitoring||Not offered||Self protection feature available (live recorded video) for $10/month|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||Not offered||—|
|24/7 professional monitoring||$39.99/month||$30+|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$49.99/month||$40+|
|$39.99 to $49.99/month||Professional||Not offered||Not offered||$39.99/month||$49.99/month|
|$30+||Professional and self-monitored||Self protection feature available (live recorded video) for $10/month||—||$30+||$40+|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Panic button||Via touch-screen control panel|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||—||—||Not specified||Via touch-screen control panel|
|Smart locks||Compatible with August, Kwikset and Yale|
|Smart lights||Compatible with GE (Jasco), Leviton, LIFX, Lutron Castéta, Phillips Hue, Sengled|
|Smart thermostat||Compatible with Carrier Cor, ecobee, Zen|
|Garage door control||—||Compatible with Chamberlain LiftMaster|
|Compatible with August, Kwikset and Yale||Compatible with GE (Jasco), Leviton, LIFX, Lutron Castéta, Phillips Hue, Sengled||Compatible with Carrier Cor, ecobee, Zen||Compatible with Chamberlain LiftMaster||—||—||—|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Push and text||Text, email, push and TV|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Google Home||Not specified|
|Other integrations||Apple TV||xFi Gateway, Xfinity camera devices|
|3.8||2.9||Push and text||Apple TV|
|4.4||4.5||Text, email, push and TV||Not specified||xFi Gateway, Xfinity camera devices|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||2.6||1.7|
|Verified customer reviews||Brinks reviews||Xfinity reviews|
|1.7||Xfinity Home reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
Brinks is a trusted name in home security. You can easily customize its plans, and there are a variety of home automation options. The wireless technology and transparent pricing make Brinks a solid choice in home security.
- Smart Security Essential: The basic plan is $199 and comes with a control panel, one motion sensor, two door sensors and a yard sign. Monitoring services are $39.99 a month.
- Smart Security Complete: This plan is $349 and includes one control panel, one video doorbell, one motion sensor, two door sensors and a yard sign. Monitoring services are $44.99 a month.
- Smart Security Ultimate: This plan is $699 and includes one control panel, one video doorbell, one motion sensor, three door sensors, one outdoor camera and one yard sign. Monitoring services cost $49.99 a month.
What Brinks customers say
Reviews for Brinks left on ConsumerAffairs describe timely responses from knowledgeable service technicians and overall friendly and professional service. Some customer reviews mention long hold times with customer service and the need to call a few times to get problems resolved. Most Brinks customers seem to be happy with the system.
Xfinity home security is targeted at existing Xfinity customers or those interested in using its other services — the system only works with the company’s voice remote. You can choose professional monitoring or self-monitoring, and you can also choose between upfront payments and no-interest financing.
- Self Protection: For $10 monthly, this no-contract option lets you use Xfinity internet to monitor your home with the Xfinity app. It requires an Xfinity camera, which you can purchase for $5 a month for 24 months.
- Base Home System: This option costs either $15 a month for 24 months or $360 upfront. It includes a touch-screen controller, three door/window sensors and one motion sensor.
- Complete Home System: This plan costs $20 monthly for 24 months or a one-time payment of $480. The plan includes a touch-screen controller, five door/window sensors, one motion sensor, a wireless keypad and one indoor/outdoor camera.
- Ultimate Home System: This plan costs $25 a month for 24 months or a single payment of $600. It includes a touch-screen controller, 10 door/window sensors, one motion sensor, a wireless keypad and two indoor/outdoor cameras.
What Xfinity customers say
Xfinity receives mixed reviews on ConsumerAffairs, with some customers describing issues with customer service interactions and the time it took to get issues resolved. Those who had more positive experiences commented on the quality of the cameras and the easy-to-use app, and some thought the product was a good quality and value for the cost.
Bottom line: Brinks or Xfinity?
Brinks and Xfinity are both good options when it comes to home security. While Brinks is an option for any possible customer, Xfinity requires connection to its own internet and devices. Both companies have contract terms, but Xfinity also has the option to pay upfront.
- Brinks is best for customers who want more home automation to pair with their security system.
- Xfinity is best for those who want a self-monitoring option and are existing Xfinity customers or willing to switch.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.