Brinks vs. ADT
Compare ADT and Brinks on home security features and costs
Compare Brinks and ADT
Brinks and ADT both have solid reputations among renters and homeowners as reliable, responsive home security providers. These companies share many qualities, including equipment options, monitoring services and contract requirements.
Brinks' and ADT’s service and equipment offerings differ in a few key areas. Those interested in a professionally installed alarm will likely prefer ADT, while those who prefer a DIY approach should opt for Brinks. Below, we compare the two leading home security companies in more detail.
Installation and cost
|Installation type||Professional||Pro install|
|Installation fee||$200 to $450||$99 to $199 (may be included in package price)|
|Upfront cost||$199 to $699||$599 to $1,049 upfront or $9.98 to $17.48 monthly for 60 months|
|Trial period||30-day risk-free||6-month money-back guarantee|
|Contract terms||36 months||36 months (60 months if financing equipment)|
|Professional||$200 to $450||$199 to $699||30-day risk-free||36 months|
|Pro install||$99 to $199 (may be included in package price)||$599 to $1,049 upfront or $9.98 to $17.48 monthly for 60 months||6-month money-back guarantee||36 months (60 months if financing equipment)|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$39.99 to $49.99/month||$28.99 to $57.99|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||Not offered||—|
|24/7 professional monitoring||$39.99/month||Starting at $45.99|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$49.99/month||$57.99/month|
|$39.99 to $49.99/month||Professional||Not offered||Not offered||$39.99/month||$49.99/month|
|$28.99 to $57.99||Professional||—||—||Starting at $45.99||$57.99/month|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Wired and wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor & outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Panic button||Not listed|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Wired and wireless||Indoor & outdoor cameras||Not listed||Not listed|
|Garage door control||—|
|Mobile app||MyADT Mobile App for account management; ADT Control for system management|
|Mobile app monitoring||Yes, via ADT Control app|
|iOS rating||3.8||4.8 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control|
|Android rating||2.9||4.4 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control|
|Notification/alert options||Push and text||App, text and email|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Apple TV||Alexa, Google Home and Samsung devices|
|3.8||2.9||Push and text||Apple TV|
|MyADT Mobile App for account management; ADT Control for system management||Yes, via ADT Control app||4.8 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||4.4 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||App, text and email||Alexa, Google Home and Samsung devices|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||2.1||4.6|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
How are Brinks and ADT different?
Brinks and ADT are both long-standing American companies with more than a hundred years of experience. ADT has been around since 1874, and The Brink’s Company was founded even earlier — in 1859. Brinks Home Security, a sister brand, was founded more recently, in 1994.
- Installation: The most distinct difference between the two companies is that Brinks specializes in DIY systems while ADT offers professional installation for its security packages. However, Brinks provides free installation services with its Ultimate packages. ADT also offers some DIY solutions for renters and those with lower security needs through its Blue by ADT brand.
- Pricing transparency: Brinks lets customers purchase security systems online, but ADT home security pricing is available only through a free phone quote. Though ADT doesn't feature online pricing for its primary home security systems, Brinks and Blue by ADT are similar in cost. Blue by ADT products can be purchased online and are more affordable than most Brinks systems.
- Guarantees and returns: ADT systems come with a six-month money-back guarantee. Brinks systems have just a 30-day window for free returns. However, all Brinks equipment includes a two-year warranty, while ADT customers must opt in to a Quality Service Plan (QSP) through a representative.
About Brinks home security systems
Brinks security system packages feature smart-home technology, easy installations and 24/7 professional monitoring on all systems. The systems use Wi-Fi and cell networks for monitoring services, so no landline or hardwiring is required.
As of publishing, Brinks security system packages range from $199 to $699, but these packages can be customized to your home’s needs. Pricing for individual components like door alarms or cameras runs between $29 and $249, and financing options are available for qualifying customers.
- Optional DIY installation: Most Brinks security systems are designed to be self-installed with easy-to-use adhesive strips. The company also provides free professional installation for those who want it. Professional installation is typically recommended exclusively for larger home systems, particularly those with multiple integrations for locks, lights or other smart devices.
- Brinks monitoring: Brinks provides 24/7 monitoring services, which start at $39 per month and require a 36-month contract. You can purchase a package online and return it within 30 days if it doesn’t meet your expectations. If you purchase Nest Secure with your security system, you can cancel it at any time.
- Equipment options: Additional equipment options include video doorbells, motion sensors, door sensors, outdoor and indoor cameras and a touch-screen control panel. The system is compatible with other smart-home devices like flood sensors and smart locks.
- Mobile app: Brinks offers a single hub for all your smart devices with its Brinks Home Security App. You can arm or disarm your security system from this app and control any integrated smart devices like thermostats, lights, locks and more.
- Customer service: You can reach Brinks customer service by phone or online chat. Brinks is highly rated by its clients, with many praising its customer service and technical support. Brinks home security reviews indicate its representatives are patient and kind. Some recent issues appear to be related to former Protect America customers who were unaware of the merger.
Compare Brinks home security packages
All Brinks packages come with professional monitoring, a touch-screen control panel, yard signs and stickers. The main hub is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Z-Wave and other home automation devices. Its systems are equipped with tamper protection and cellular backup technology. Financing options with 0% APR are available to qualifying Brinks customers.
|Smart Security Essential highlights||Smart Security Complete highlights||Smart Security Ultimate highlights|
|Wireless motion sensors||1||2||2|
|Wireless door sensors||2||3||3|
|Home automation features|
|Free pro installation|
|Smart Security Essential highlights||1||2|
|Smart Security Complete highlights||2||3|
|Smart Security Ultimate highlights||2||3|
About ADT home security systems
ADT began as the first residential security system network in America and has since made strides in expanding its equipment and service offerings. The company sells complete home security systems, smart-home automation and emergency monitoring devices.
ADT home security equipment must be purchased as a package or customized by a security professional. Professional installation ranges from $99 to $199, depending on the system. However, it offers some DIY systems for its Blue by ADT products.
ADT and Brinks both
In the event of an emergency or alarm, the system uses a cellular or landline network to communicate with a professional monitoring service, which can dispatch emergency responders if necessary.
- Professional installation: ADT equipment is designed for professional installation. You can get pricing info for a professionally installed system only by requesting a free quote from a representative. Professional installation costs $99 to $199.
- ADT monitoring: All home security plans include 24/7 professional monitoring services starting at around $45 a month. Like with Brinks, ADT home security packages require a 36-month contract. However, the company offers no-contract systems under its Blue by ADT brand.
- Equipment options: Select from indoor and outdoor security cameras, Google Nest Doorbells and DIY surveillance systems with Blue by ADT. The brand also includes smoke and fire detectors, flood sensors and smart-home automation solutions. Your ADT security equipment must be purchased as a package or customized by a professional security technician.
- Mobile apps: The remote access app is included only with the Smart and Complete home security packages. Blue by ADT security systems include a mobile app with smart-home integrations.
- Customer service: Customers are consistently pleased with the service they receive from ADT and the reliability of the company. It offers customer support over the phone or by live chat on the website. Recent ADT home security reviews indicate its customer service representatives are patient and professional. However, some reviews mention long hold times.
Compare ADT home security packages
All ADT systems come with a digital panel, entryway contacts, a wireless keychain remote, motion detectors, yard signs and 24/7 monitoring.
|Remote access mobile app|
Bottom line: Which is better, ADT or Brinks?
The ConsumerAffairs research team has concluded that Brinks is better for renters or homeowners who don’t want to go through the hassle of hardwiring a system. ADT systems are more difficult to install (most customers pay for professional installation) and could be harder to take with you if you move into a new house.
- Brinks is a good pick for transparent prices and easy installation — Brinks systems are self-installed and easy to integrate with other smart devices.
- ADT is a good pick for customizable systems with pro installation — ADT offers quality equipment with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring, but it’s harder to install its systems yourself.
Both Brinks and ADT offer similar home security services with their own customer perks and appeals. With so many competing providers on the market, we suggest comparing the features, pricing, ease of installation and customer service records of a few different companies. Next, read about how ADT compares to Vivint Smart Home.
Renters and homeowners should review customization options from each provider to see which meets their home security needs. Think about the physical space you want to protect — does your home need cameras near both the front and back doors? Is your apartment susceptible to window break-ins?
As you compare, look for a security system that offers the level of flexibility you need and the technology that’s most likely to keep your family and property safe. For more information, read our guide to finding the best home alarm provider for you.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.