Brinks vs. ADT Self Setup
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
What is the difference between Brinks and ADT Self Setup?
Both Brinks and ADT Self Setup are backed by years of experience in the security industry. While Brinks offers customized home security systems with a choice of professional or DIY installation, ADT Self Setup only offers DIY installation. Both companies offer 24/7 professional monitoring, but ADT Self Setup also offers a self-monitoring option. Brinks provides a range of smart-home devices with automation, while ADT Self Setup focuses on home security devices.
Installation and cost
|Installation fee||$200 to $450||None|
|Upfront cost||$199 to $699||$179.99 to $579.99|
|Trial period||30-day risk-free||30 days of free monitoring|
|Contract terms||36 months||No-contract options|
|Professional||$200 to $450||$199 to $699||30-day risk-free||36 months|
|DIY||None||$179.99 to $579.99||30 days of free monitoring||No-contract options|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$39.99 to $49.99/month||$24.99 to $34.99 per month|
|Monitoring options||Professional||Professional or self-monitored|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||Not offered||Not offered|
|24/7 professional monitoring||$39.99/month||$24.99/month|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$49.99/month||Not offered|
|$39.99 to $49.99/month||Professional||Not offered||Not offered||$39.99/month||$49.99/month|
|$24.99 to $34.99 per month||Professional or self-monitored||Free||Not offered||$24.99/month||Not offered|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Both|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||—||—|
|Smart thermostat||Compatible with Nest|
|Garage door control||—||—|
|—||Compatible with Nest||—|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Push and text||Push notifications and email|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Apple TV||IFTTT|
|3.8||2.9||Push and text||Apple TV|
|3.8||2.9||Push and text||—||IFTTT|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||2.6||3.2|
|Verified customer reviews||Brinks reviews||ADT Self Setup reviews|
|3.2||ADT Self Setup reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
Brinks offers home security and smart-home automation systems. All systems include a risk-free 30-day trial and a two-year product warranty. You can select from several packages or customize a system, and you can install the system yourself or opt for professional installation. The company offers integrated smoke, CO and flood detectors. You can manage your security system, locks, cameras, lights and thermostat from the app, and the cameras have two-way voice capabilities.
Brinks offers three plans to choose from. You can also add equipment to the plans to customize your security.
- Smart Security Essential includes a touch-screen control panel, two wireless door sensors and a wireless motion sensor. The price is $199, and monitoring costs $39.99 per month.
- Smart Security Complete adds video surveillance. Components include a control panel, doorbell camera, motion detector and two wireless door sensors. The equipment is $349, and monitoring runs $44.99 per month.
- Smart Security Ultimate comes with a control panel, doorbell camera, three wireless door sensors, a motion sensor and an outdoor camera. The price is $699, and monitoring is $49.99 per month.
What Brinks customers say
Brinks customers leave mostly positive feedback on ConsumerAffairs. Many comment on smart, knowledgeable service team members who quickly answer questions and explain everything adequately. Those whose experience was less than satisfactory mention long hold times when calling and delays in resolving issues. Overall, it seems most customers are happy with the system.
ADT Self Setup
ADT Self Setup is the DIY division of ADT. Home security systems from ADT Self Setup are wireless, basic and easy to install. Components are compatible with smart-home devices through Google Nest Mini. Choose professional 24/7 monitoring with no contract or self-monitor your system through the app. You can also speak to visitors or housemates through the system’s cameras, which have two-way talk capability.
ADT Self Setup plans
- Build Your Own starts with the base station and mobile app for $179.99. You can then add any additional equipment you’d like.
- Starter System comes with a base station, two door/window sensors and the mobile app for $379.99.
- Premium System includes the base station, four door/window sensors, a motion sensor and the mobile app for $579.98.
The ADT Self Setup wireless outdoor camera, ADT Self Setup indoor camera and ADT Self Setup doorbell camera are $179.99 each.
What ADT Self Setup customers say
ADT Self Setup has largely positive feedback on ConsumerAffairs, with verified reviewers commenting on good prices, knowledgeable staff and quick response monitoring. Those who didn’t enjoy their experience with the company most frequently mention difficulties when trying to terminate their contract early.
Bottom line: Brinks or ADT Self Setup?
Brinks offers either professionally installed or DIY home security systems, while ADT Self Setup provides only a DIY option. Brinks has a wide selection of smart-home automation devices that integrate with home security, but ADT Self Setup focuses on the basics of home security, such as sensors and cameras. Both companies provide 24/7 professional monitoring — but with ADT Self Setup, you get an option to monitor your system yourself.
- Brinks is best for those who need a complete home security and smart-home integration solution with professional installation and 24/7 monitoring.
- ADT Self Setup is best for those who prefer DIY and the freedom to choose professional monitoring with no contract or self-monitoring through the mobile app.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.