Call toll free
3.61/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

Mattress Firm Video
View More View More

2577 Mattress Firm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We purchased a Purple mattress and adjustable base the day after Thanksgiving. It was supposed to be delivered last Saturday (12/1/18). When I didn't hear from them, I called Friday night and was told it wouldn't come until Wednesday. (Note that they didn't call me. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't called.) Since we were getting rid of our old bed (not just the mattress, the whole bed), we got rid of it Tuesday night. I reorganized my work schedule to be home for Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon I get a call that it won't come in until Thursday. I reorganize my schedule again. On Thursday I get a call - "I'm afraid I have bad news..." And the lady can't even tell me when I might get the bed. ("Hopefully over the weekend.")

At this point, we've been sleeping on an air mattress for five nights. And today (Sunday) they say that maybe we will get it on Tuesday. I'm not sure how I will manage that at work, but I guess I have to figure something out. They can't even agree to deliver after 5 pm. The only possible delivery windows are nine to four or three to nine. The people whom I've dealt with have all been very polite and apologetic. I have no complaints about those who are working in the store. I know it's not their fault, but this is ridiculous. My husband is older and this is a *huge* inconvenience. I guess we shouldn't have gotten rid of the old bed, but where would we have put the new one? We don't have that kind of space. And I assumed that after the first delay, we would get a bed. If it doesn't come by Tuesday, I will have to cancel the order and get a bed from someone who will actually deliver one.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I paid over $1,000 for a mattress that was supposed to be hand delivered tomorrow. I have the transcripts from when I ordered the mattress which clearly states "Your mattress will be hand delivered on 12/09, and you will receive a call the day before to give you a 2 hour window of delivery." The website also states it will be delivered on 12/9. It is the day before my supposed delivery, and I never received a call about my 2 hour window, so I wrote, and the lady I spoke with said "I'm sorry, but your mattress will not be hand delivered, and you won't receive it on 12/9, nor can I provide you with a delivery date." EXCUSE ME??? I feel completely cheated and lied to. I WANT MY MATTRESS!!! It's crazy because this happened before. I guess I'm twice the fool for believing this company! Ughhhh!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

They charge for local delivery, give you a 2 hour window the day before, BUT DO NOT HONOR THE TIMEFRAME!!! Negotiate terms that the delivery must be in their window or should be for free. Low quality delivery -- no dispatcher or driver called...

Hi Bob,

We are sorry to hear you are having an issue with your recent purchase. We will have a Customer Relations Representative reach out to you for further assistance

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We purchased a memory foam mattress from Mattress Firm. A really big part of our decision to purchase from them was that we’re remotely located out on Long Island and they're very close to where we live. The sales rep was very friendly and super helpful. He did a nice job and we liked that he wasn’t super high pressure. The product that we got is good and I’m satisfied with it. It was exactly what we thought we were getting. I would recommend that people go to the Mattress Firm store we went to.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We bought something from Mattress Firm in the past. This time, we purchased a mattress and a base for the kids room and the quality is worth it. The sales rep I had was a good guy, too. I like his service and everything was perfect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had a fine experience with the sales and customer service teams in Mattress Firm. I purchased a queen-sized mattress, and it's working out fine. I'd recommend Mattress Firm. They did a fine job with me.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I buy queen size mattress almost a month ago. I call yesterday to the store cause the mattress is very soft. I work nights so I never sleep in my bed specially this time cause I have a friend visiting me. She was telling me my bed was so soft but cause I laid just a few times I didn't notice. Yesterday I call the place where I buy it. The seller was very nice all the time, easy to change and blablabla. I told her I didn't like the base. I find useless the foot side so I ask very kind if I can just change for the electric head. Immediately said NO even is going to be a month when I buy it. I need help cause I think isn't right to buy something I don't enjoy!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The mattress I ordered was delivered and found to have a large mold stain. The delivery team was apologetic and said I could call to request a new delivery. I didn't think it was a huge deal, these things can happen, but the ensuing experience with customer service in trying to order a new one made the issue a million times worse. It is very hard to get someone one the phone as wait times are routinely 2 hours. I used the online chat service, which although still slow, was faster than calling.

The entire day I tried to get them to schedule a new delivery for tomorrow, but I was repeatedly told to contact customer service later as the warehouse was unavailable. I repeatedly requested to be contacted so I wouldn't have to spend an hour getting in touch with them. One person said they would email me back at a certain time but never did. I was told that having a customer service representative call me to schedule this delivery when they were ready was out of the question as they have too many calls coming in. So I kept having to deal with a new agent each time, waiting on hold and re-explaining everything just to find out when I can request my re-order. If you order from them, you better hope that there are no mistakes. If there are, fixing them could be a never ending series of frustrating customer service calls. This could have easily been a four star review if anyone in the company ever stepped in and made the initial mistake right.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I ordered on the phone Sleepy 12 inches quilted foam gel mattress and they offered promotional free spring box, two pillows and mattress cover. The mattress didn’t extended to 13 inches and I paid the difference (total $ 867.00) and reorder 14 inches same type of mattress. This one inflated just 12 inches, but was enough for my needs. This mattress gave me terrible back pain and I intended to return.

Here we have a SURPRiSE!!! Even I didn’t used the mattress cover and the hard foam pillows, they will not take them back and they will charge their high prices: 10% restocking fee ($86.00), return delivery (?), $199.00 for low profile spring box that I paid to be assemble, $89.00 for each pillow and $79.00 for mattress cover that I bought one from eBay for $21.00. Now, I will get back $244.00 from $855.00 that I paid for queen mattress. Just don’t get excited about 120 days free tria!!! BE AWARE! I preferred to donate the mattress than deal with their business!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I bought a $8,000 massage chair in June at the fair through Mattress Firm. They delivered the chair and one wired remote... but no wireless remote, instruction manual or another equipment that comes with the chair. I have made 3 calls to the salesperson and 4 to customer service. NONE of them returned the call or sent the equipment or followed up. Here is the case # ** they created. This is horrible customer service with a capital H.

Resolution response: Dec. 4, 2018

The company called and resolved my issue. The bed was exchanged and they were very helpful.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My husband purchased the purple bed and I wasn't in love with it at the store but it was ok. A few weeks after using it I realize that my back ached every morning. I am 25 years old and never had a back problem. I decided to sleep on the couch for a week to see if it's possibly the new mattress. Each morning I woke up with no pain from the couch. We decided to exchange the bed for 1 that was more expensive but worked well with my back. The delivery guy came, the room wasn't very bright he took a picture and claimed there was a stain.

I moved the curtain to let the light in and showed him there was no stain there. He agreed but still pointed to his busted phone with half the screen smashed that the stain was on his phone. I took a picture of the same spot on my phone which showed no stain. The bed had no stain but he quickly left and told me to call the store. Now I paid $2600 for a bed that I cannot sleep in and can't exchange because of some old guy's view. I have videos and pictures of the bed on the same day he came with no stain. Even the employees at the store said the picture on the delivery guy's phone is shoddy and wasn't clear. I would like someone in management to contact me regarding this issue because it is beyond ridiculous and unfair.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My delivery was sent out wrong. Waited an hour on hold on the phone and was disconnected from service chat. I would give this company a 0 rating if possible. The delivery guys were about 0 helpful and couldn't get out of the house fast enough. "Not their problem". Really? You make the wrong delivery and it's not your problem? Give me a break. Just terrible customer service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I bought a King size hybrid mattress 116 days ago. I spent close to $1700 on the mattress. I began to notice body impressions. Not huge or terrible, but enough to make me question the mattress. Less than four months seemed too quick to have body impressions. Right? I was considering exchanging the mattress for something that wouldn't get body impressions. I knew I needed to decide quickly because the 120 day guarantee was ending soon. My husband and I went back to the original store. I told the salesman my concerns. And that's when the fast-talking double talk started. He said ALL king sized mattresses get body impressions. After less than 4 months? That didn't seem right to me.

I was guessing it had to do with the gel layers. His brilliant suggestion was to turn the mattress 90 degrees to try to get more even wear. OK. I'm no mattress expert, but that seemed weird to me. He repeated that suggestion several times and would not let me discuss other options. There never really was a discussion about other options. SO, now I have 4 days left on my 120 day guarantee, a mattress with body impressions that I can only assume will get worse over time, and many questions that never got answered. Final thought: If all king sized mattresses get body impressions, maybe I need to go back to my queen.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I bought a mattress and a box spring from Mattress Firm and it was a good experience. They were in a convenient location in my town, and it was pretty easy to just go and pick what I wanted. After looking on my own and picking what I wanted, the sales rep helped me. It was strange though that when the rep looked up the delivery schedule, they were all for Sundays. I also misjudged as I needed a mattress that's a little softer and I got one that's firmer than what I thought it would end up being. Nevertheless, the products have good quality.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We just purchased a new home and we needed new furniture. Mattress Firm had a sale and they also have a military discount so we went to them and bought three mattresses. I had gotten the full mattress and then a queen, and finally a twin mattress. They’re good mattresses. We got this cover for them that keeps the bed bugs away or it keeps it from getting dirty.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Mattress Firm's sales rep was phenomenal. He listened to my needs and let me try out every bed that I wanted. He recommended all the beds that he likes and I fell in love with one of the beds that he recommended. I purchased the mattress and so far, I love it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I went in the store to search for a quality affordable queen size set. Initially Annette, the saleswoman at the Denver store, was soft/pushy, meaning she provided information then allowed me time to lay on the bed. She then proceeded to run a credit check when I didn't want one done, but she pushed through my objections and did it anyway, including getting my social security. I didn't stand up and say 'NO' because I know these delete, but it made me uncomfortable and I felt "pushed". She then continued to push more, and got angry when I said that I would think about it.

I agreed to stay and look at cheaper beds, she said that "all you'll get for that amount is those" and they were the clearance beds standing against the wall. She then asked me if I wanted to pull the bed down to lay on it, as she wouldn't move the bed because of her bad back. This was way out of line! I left and will not go back, I do not appreciate being disrespected and then treated poorly when the "sale" looks like it's going south. I do not trust her, and she is the store manager!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I ordered a mattress online and slept on it for 30 days, it hurt so badly I went into the local store to exchange. I said I can’t afford more than $2000. The manager was only person in the store. No one else there. No customers. I looked at beds and chose one, he sold me a adjustable base and another bed saying, "With your return it’ll only cost $800 more." I kept saying, "That doesn’t sound right." He said the base is a floor model. After him messing around on the computer for an hour he kept apologizing and saying, "I’m triple checking". I got the beds and base. For a delivery 4 days out.

I went home and decided to do a Mattress Firm chat at 3 am which the person looked up the sale and said everything was correct. I said it looks like everything is going to cost $3300, she said, "No. When the other mattress is returned all will be $2156." I also later that day text messaged the manager and asked to cancel stating it doesn’t look correct, (who gave his cell number on contract) he sent text with same $2156. And he said he called Synchrony to double check and after return it’s $2156. I said, "Are you sure? I can’t afford more than the $2156. I’m a widow." He said yes again. Well, lo and behold my credit card says I owe $3300. I was lied to and I have both these conversations in writing and the contract saying $2156.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My friends told me that mattresses from Mattress Firm are good. I got a head-up adjustable bed from them. The rep who helped me was nice. My back used to hurt but now, with my new mattress, I do not have a lot of pain when I wake up. My experience with it has been great.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased a great mattress about a year ago from Mattress Firm and was told about my warranty. I submitted a claim because the mattress sinks down really far when pressure is put on it. Also there is a noticeable depression in the mattress. I submitted a claim and then called because I heard no response. Waited 45 minutes and a lady answered and asked for more pics. I sent her more pics and she was to email stating she got them and she never did. Her name was Gwenlyn.

Then I got transferred to another agent whom said she could clearly see the problem. Then transferred me back to Gwenlyn whom told me she denied my claim and that the person before her should have approved it. Long story short I called again. Asked for a supervisor and was on hold another 45 minutes and then was told the manager would call me back within the hour. I received no call back. I called back in and they said my claim is denied and would not let me talk to a supervisor. This company is a fraud.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I paid in full for a new mattress set, delivery, and to remove my old mattress set. They delivered to the wrong address and person signed and took mattress. I need a refund 5 days and the wrong address still has the mattress (gross). Store and district managers could not be any ruder to me. I feel like I have been robbed of over $1,000. PLEASE do not buy from these people! I gave them the correct address and paid in full, so you would think the store would be nicer to me but act like they do not even care. If you buy from this company your mattress could have been used and sitting at someone's house for days!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

On Sunday, I purchased $1700 worth of product from Mattress Firm store in Santa Rosa, CA. I was told it would be delivered to my vacation home in Truckee, CA on 11/20/2018. I received the automated call evening of 11/19/2018 telling me it would arrive between 9:15-11:15 am. At 12:15 pm on 11/20, I called Santa Rosa store to ask when they would be arriving, as they were 1 hour late. Upon further investigation, I found out that the mattress was ripped at the warehouse, and there wasn’t another in stock. No one had bothered to tell me until I called to check on delivery. I am renting my home out this weekend, and needed that mattress. Santa Rosa employee was kind enough to call a store in Reno who said they had one, but I would need to pick it up.

I dropped everything, drove the 40 miles to get it, only to be told that they didn’t have the mattress that I had bought in stock, and could I maybe take an Eastern king, rather than CAL king. I did not, as I’ve invested $$$$ in bedding for Cal king. They then tried to get me to take an all foam mattress. At that point, I requested a complete refund, and purchased what I needed from a locally owned company. I got a better mattress, box springs, frame and delivery all for $1300. Dealing with MF was one of the worst consumer experiences I’ve ever had.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I purchased a mattress and box spring from the Linden, NJ store. I was told by the salesman Tony it was new and clearance from another store that was closing. He reviewed the order line by line (with him holding the paper). He then sort of folded it to have me initial it. He then printed my copy and folded it and handed it to me. Everything seemed ok until I received the text to confirm the delivery and I saw the line that stated the order included "pre-owned" merchandise which to means USED. Tony totally skipped over this line. Unfortunately I was in a spot and needed bedding and had to take it.

The delivery men could not get the box spring up the stairs and suggested I get a split. When I contacted the store Tony told me to refuse the box spring and he had a split in stock for the same price as the box I purchased ($100.00). I was on my way to pick them up today when Tony called and said they were now $175.00 each! After ten minutes arguing and he calling ME a liar he said "the only way I could get them for the original price would be for me to take down my review and get there within one hour." Talk about blackmail! I am out the price of the box spring and the cost of an incomplete delivery. This is utterly disgusting behavior on the part of any salesperson and Mattress Firm should be ashamed of his behavior and sales practices. Stay far away from the Linden, NJ store and make sure you get a copy of the sales agreement as they go line by line so you can confirm what they say.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We liked the mattress we tried at Mattress Firm and the salespeople were good. It was easy dealing with them. We asked a couple of questions and they were knowledgeable. We bought the box spring, the king size mattress and pillows too, and Mattress Firm delivered them. We're sleeping on the bed now and so far, we like it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I purchased my Tulo in July. When I first went to the store, I actually preferred the Serta iComfort but it was out of my price range. I was told the Tulo was comparable but less expensive and I still had the benefit of the 120 night guarantee. I’ve tried to like this bed and I just can’t. I decided to opt for the Serta. I was supposed to have the exchange today and the delivery people claim “stains” and refused to perform the exchange stating Mattress Firm denied it. He told me Mattress Firm was calling and it was only the delivery dispatcher who was telling me to call the store. Drivers left before I could even get an adequate explanation.

Now people who did not even look at this bed are going based on what their delivery driver claims even though I have the mattress protector they force you to buy because of the 120 night guarantee. No clue. It doesn’t look like anything. I already paid the difference for the Serta. I either want the bed I paid or a complete refund including the delivery fee given no delivery took place. The rep at the store I got my original bed seems to be helpful but at this point after reading all these complaints, I fear I’m not going to have a successful resolution. I’d rather spend the money for the same bed elsewhere and avoid this hassle. I was happy to recommend Mattress Firm before this but definitely not now.

Dear Melanie,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. We would like to address your concerns and will have a specialist assigned to your case who reach out to you for further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I purchased two mattresses from Mattress Firm about three years ago and I purchased again recently and got an Ashaway Plush mattress. The sales rep was great, very helpful, and very quick. I had the same mattress for my younger daughter when she moved out of her crib ad the other one was so mad that her mattress stunk, that she needed a new mattress, so I had to buy the same one we had for my younger daughter. My daughter really likes it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I’ve never been more disappointed in a product(s), or customer service. I purchased 2 different mattresses, and both came nothing like the mattresses in the store. Both mattresses I purchased were supposed to be soft, both came feeling more firm than the ones at the store. The first attempt at sending back the mattress was a nightmare, the person who came to pick it up was very rude and left without informing me what was going on. After that was finally figured out I did go in and purchase another mattress in hopes of having a better outcome, also costing more money.

Once again nothing like the bed I picked, I call after a week to avoid any problems in returning the mattress, and I am informed I have to keep the second bed for a month before anything can be done, I called again after a month, and no one would help me, I waited for a call from the manager multiple times and he never called, I then went to the store and was told there is no return policy with a second bed! Which I was not informed at the time or I would have NEVER taken a chance at another purchase, finally they call the manager who was supposed to call me and chose not to, and he offered no help, and said there was nothing he could do for me.

I am very disappointed and extremely angry, wasted money and time, and appalled at the management and how they treat people. I will never recommend this company to another person, and if I could I would make sure no one was ever taken advantage of like I have been. I guess I now have to take things into my own hands, so sad this is what something so simple has come to. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR A MATTRESS, you will be very disappointed!

Dear Rhianon,

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

This past Friday 11/16/2018 I went out looking for a mattress. I ended calling Mattress Firm on Clovis Ca. Lady tells me as soon as I call in "come on over it is best that see our mattresses." I was fine with that, it is understandable. She sounded as if she was in a hurry. I called up again to get address as to gps it, then calls went thru but she hung up again and again and again on me. I was like well, I guess she is busy. I pulled into store. No client around but herself.

I said "Hi, I am looking for an extra firm mattress." She says "ok, WHAT IS YOUR PRICE RANGE?" I said "let see, please extra firm king mattress, then we'll see on price." Again she says "WHAT IS YOUR PRICE RANGE"? I said, "Please let me see what I like," then for the third time LOUDER NOW, SHE SAYS "WHAT IS YOUR PRICE RANGE"? That third time it was with an offensive and aggressive attitude. Then I said, "You know I think it is best I deal with a different sales person," she says "I am the only one". Then I said I'd like to speak to a supervisor, then she says "I'M THE SUPERVISOR".

She tells me "I NEED YOU TO LEAVE NOW, LEAVE." So, me I didn't know what to do, so I left even though I was annoyed by her conduct and arrogance shown towards me. This manager (rep) kicked me out of Mattress Firm store in Clovis, Ca. I felt looked down on, sneered at, mocked, bullied by this lady. I will not ever be going to this store. I'm really hoping that she gets fired. I'm really hoping that this Robert ** at Mattress Firm store at Blackstone and Bullard Fresno, Ca does indeed do something about it to fix it for I'm suing this mattress firm store. Corporate, I feel definitely you need to put emphasis into this matter, I will not let this case go unheard of and I've just started working on it as of today. Funny this lady didnt know I had $3500 cash to invest in a decent mattress.

Dear Jorge,

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We were at Mattress Firm to get a mattress for a guest bed that we don’t use very often. So we weren’t looking to purchase anything high-end. I went with Mattress Firm due to the ease of getting the mattress versus trying to go through someone else. The representative was okay. I got a mattress and a bed frame from them and it was easy to be delivered.

I've slept on the bed a couple of times when I was sick and it’s a comfortable mattress. We ordered a bed frame for it, but it didn’t get there in time. When they brought the bed frame, it was actually the wrong size. So we had to pick up the bed frame later from the store after the guest that we had had already stayed the night.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I purchased a Sleepy's Hush Pillowtop Mattress (firm) at the end of March and realized after over a month of sleeping on the mattress that I had daily hip pain. I could barely walk because of the pain. After going back to the store in July and speaking with a salesperson, I stupidly purchased what I thought would be a better mattress; a Sleepy's Reserve Pillowtop Mattress (plush). Now I have lower back pain and hip pain. There is nothing plush about this pillowtop mattress. I wanted to return the new mattress and was told that because I made a return the 120 day policy doesn't apply to the second mattress that was purchased. I would never recommend anyone to purchase a Sleepy's mattress. I've never had this problem with any mattress that I've purchased.

Dear Chenara,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. We would like to address your concerns and will have a specialist assigned to your case who will reach out to you for further assistance.

Mattress Firm expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1986, the retailer Mattress Firm is committed to providing sleep solutions that will help their customers live healthier and sleep better. Consumers can shop Mattress Firm online or at one of their 2000 locations across the United States.

• Selection: Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses, so consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of their showrooms.

• Special financing available: Financing offers are always available, and they can include zero percent APR for up to five years for qualifying consumers. Check with your local Mattress Firm to find out what financing options and specials they currently have.

• 90-day payment option with no credit required: Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Adjustable beds: In addition to selling mattresses from top brands, Mattress Firm also sells adjustable beds with additional features like massage and wireless control.

• Commercial sales: Mattress Firm can assist you with your commercial sales, whether you’re a school, hospital, government agency, interior decorator, hotel operator or other business that needs to buy mattresses in bulk.

• Best for: Mattress Firm is best for commercial sales and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information