Call toll free
3.64/5
Based on 937 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

Mattress Firm Video
View More View More

2310 Mattress Firm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

There's a Mattress Firm location close to my job. I purchased a pillow top twin mattress, the box spring and the frame. I bought a pillow as well and the quality is great. The salesperson who helped me was excellent, but the regional director was there. They were all very kind and patient with me. They also assisted the gentleman in putting the mattress on top of my car. My experience was wonderful and excellent.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We had an old Tempur-Pedic that had become sunken and wasn’t recovering. We weren’t getting the rest and sleep we needed. My wife had a back surgery a year ago and her back was really starting to become a bother and a concern for the both of us. We needed a proper support mattress for her to sleep on. We’ve seen Mattress Firm's advertisements on TV and they had acquired several mattress companies that we had dealt with in the past. Then, in the store, Larry showed us a dozen different beds, trying to find the right price range, the right firmness, softness, and feel for the mattress of what we wanted. I was a little bit overwhelmed because of the volume of product choices, but because of that, we were able to find something within our price range and the firmness that we needed. The mattress I bought was an iSeries, and my wife and I both love it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I had a bad experience with Mattress One, and Mattress Firm was the other company that was close to where I lived. I purchased from Mattress Firm for the first time and got the Beautyrest Memory Foam Mattress. Everyone at the store went above and beyond to assist me. In terms of delivery, it could have been a little bit better. There were two delivery guys. One delivery guy had covered his shoes and he wore gloves, but the other guy didn’t. I also asked them to leave the plastic on so that I could take it off ‘cause I saw the other guy didn't wear gloves. But when I came back after going in the kitchen to get some water, they took the plastic off in the hallway and dragged it on the floor until they got into my room.

It’s a brand-new mattress and I don’t want people touching all over it. It was my third mattress delivery from Mattress Firm because the other two were defective. The first two were clearance mattresses. When the first one came in, all the Memory Foam was on one side and it was lumpy. The second one that they brought out to replace it was flat so when they turned it on its side to bring it into the house, I could see the foam was sliding to one side. The delivery guys opened up the mattress and tried to adjust the foam. I told them that there was no need to do that because they weren’t wearing gloves. They had been in the heat and were sweating so that was germs and sweat all over the mattress.

At that point, I said that it was not working out with the clearance item and I just need to get a brand-new one. It was the same brand but a different model and it seems to be fine for now. In addition, other Mattress competitors provide either a free mattress protector or a pillow with it. I got a free mattress protector, but it was a basic one and I also had to ask for it. I asked for the five-sided mattress protector and I am going back later this week 'cause I was told that it was $60 more so I just have to exchange and pay the difference. But I paid a little over $4000 for the mattress and dealt with three different deliveries and I don’t really see what the big deal would be to just throw in the mattress protector, even if it is $60 more. But overall, everyone at the Mattress Firm store was very helpful and friendly.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I went to the Mattress Firm store and the person who helped me out was great. I bought three mattresses and they delivered them, but one of them had a hole. I told the guy who delivered it about the hole, he saw it and said that the hole was huge, but it wasn't. They said they were gonna bring a new one, so they brought a new mattress which had a hole in the same spot as the first one. The guy took pictures of it and then called the manager in the store. The manager said that they were gonna send another one, but I told him that I did it twice already and I had a select time to be home for the delivery. Also, I live in a two-storey and it’s difficult to get in with the guys taking out the other mattress, so I didn’t want them to deliver another one.

He said that if I cancel, I need to get a new mattress. They have to deliver everything. So for me, I simply tried to avoid the delivery. They came again and they took the mattress and brought another one. I told them they should refund the mattress because I was gonna keep the mattress just the way it was. Then I told the delivery guy to take pictures so he could see it. The minute the store contacted me, I said that I didn't want an order because the man came with a mattress that has a factory defect. The guy I dealt with said he spoke with the boss and the boss was gonna give me $200. I don’t think it was fair for them to give me just $200. I kept the mattress the way it was. I haven't had the time to check if they put $200 back in my account, but I expect for them to stand on the credit given to me.

I also expect them to contact me and also make me a good offer in that phase because I had a bad experience twice. For them, it doesn’t matter if they lose one mattress, but I bought three mattresses. I was a good client. Other than that, I’m happy. The delivery crew was amazing. They were so nice to deliver and they understood my frustration.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We went to Mattress Firm years ago looking for a new mattress by extending our bed from a full size to queen. We needed new rails that would hook to our foot and head board. The person who was working there had no idea what we were talking about. So we left. We went back last Wednesday and talked to Nina. She knew exactly what we wanted. We ordered our new mattress and the rails for the bed. It was delivered the next day Thursday. The delivery men that brought it were very courteous and helpful. They took the old mattress and box spring out and put our new bed together with the new rails and the mattress. We were very pleased with Nina and also the delivery men. Thank you very much Mattress Firm. We will definitely recommend you to our family and friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The Mattress Firm sales rep did his job so everything worked out. I bought a queen bed and the delivery team delivered it a week later and set it up. The bed is great. My experience with Mattress Firm was good except when I set up a payment plan with them where they deducted an x amount of dollars. I was gonna pay it off in three months, no interest, but they took a payment. They’re supposed to take a payment again on the 10th and they took it on the 4th. They completely caught me off-guard because I had an account that I wasn’t using often where I was using that to deduct it. It ended up going into where they withdrew my account and the bank went under. I was very inconvenienced with that. Other than that, everything went smoothly.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Bought a mattress at Mattress Firm in Muncy PA. Paid cash and cancelled the order the next day before it was even delivered. Mattress Firm are thieves and you should not buy there. They have so far not giving me a refund. Bunch of crooks.

Dear Charles,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. We would like to address your concerns and will have a specialist assigned to your case who reach out to you for further assistance.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Mattress Firm is convenient. It's across the street from my office. Their salesperson there was a very wonderful woman and a sweet person but sometimes people don't need what all they're selling and trying to sell. Their products are very overpriced and there was a lot of pressure put on you to buy. I wish that I wouldn't have gotten the upgraded bed frame that lifts the feet and lifts the head. It was not necessary, but I did. They delivered the bed to me and they were fabulous. They set it up and I couldn't believe how fast they were. Mattress Firm is wonderful as far as the products go but I've never paid this much for a bed in my life. I was gonna send my grandson there to buy a bed and the sales rep called me about him and there's no way a 22-year-old needs to have a $3,100 mattress.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I bought a queen-size mattress from Mattress Firm and so far it's been great. It was the display model and it's a firm unit. I had a perfect experience with their sales rep and it was beyond what I hoped for. I was greeted instantly and she directed me through everything. When I walked in I was sticker shocked and she could tell that I was in a situation where I couldn't really spend that much. She then found the most cost-effective option for me and helped out a ton. I had a very pleasant experience with Mattress Firm and they made it super easy to get the mattress I needed.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Mattress Firm had a good sale going on with adjustable platform beds and the sales rep I worked with was knowledgeable and efficient. A team delivered the bed and they were on time and courteous. They were in and out in 20 minutes for the installation, which was very good. I've had the bed for about a month now and it's good so far. It all worked out well.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Have bought 6-7 mattress from Sleepy's in past 15 yrs. Most recent purchase (queen size bed) was 3 yrs. ago and mattress has developed lumps & saggy pockets. Filing a complaint requires doing it online for free with uploaded pictures (difficult/impossible if not a millennial), or paying $80 for an inspection. Had my millennial daughter upload pictures. Claim denied due to no middle post/leg extending from middle of frame to floor. Am now told to satisfy the warranty, that is "a must". In buying ALL these box springs & mattresses, I only ever been told it needed a mattress cover for protection. Now, even though I'm within the warranty period, without the middle leg, I have been denied.

If you look at the old Sleepy's site, there's no middle leg. The customer service person went on to explain that, "The website displays the full size bed frame. If I had continued to look at a larger size bed, I would have seen a middle post/leg." She finally offered me a 20% coupon off another purchase. Are you kidding? Lost my job 10 years ago and just put 3 children through university with no remaining loans. Health care costs me a minimum of $20,000+/year. I detest these people. They are taking advantage of the "nonmillennial" population who often can't upload photos and charging $80 for an inspector travel to the home and file. I had my "millennial" daughter upload the photos (which wasn't easy even for her!) and the site just rejected everything. These folks are crooks!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Got a king bed and frame and financed through Progressive. Had to pay delivery charge $79 for them to take it 2 blocks because they said I had to have it delivered. Took a month to get my pillow in that we bought. $79 for bed covering because I had to get it but they could not tell me how much my payments was but it wouldn’t be over $200. Wrong. $270 a month for a year. I will never buy from them again.

Mattress Firm response

Hi Chasity, We are sorry to hear about the difficulty you had with your recent order! This has been assigned to a Customer Relations representative to reach out to you and address your concerns. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Last April (2017) I purchased two box spring and mattress sets from the Wilmington Store. The customer services was second-to-none! Fast forward a year later... the full size mattress developed a two inch canoe-like dip in the center. I went into the store and spoke with Bob who took my situation very seriously and said the matter would be resolved; but, I had to go thru the warranty process. He was kind enough to start the process and I went home, read the warranty e-mail and was absolutely shocked!!!

I had to dismantle the bed to take various measurements (using some measuring tool they said was "attached" and my repeated e-mail to them went unanswered), the wanted photos of the frame and a VIDEO with sound so they could hear the squeaks. This was a lot of work. Took the photos and sent them off. Rec'd an e-mail asking for the photos, responded that I had sent them. They came back with "we need more". Now my question to them was, "How can you tell from a photo if there is a dip in the middle (mind you, one photo I took I used a measuring tape to show the dip)." I suggested they have a service that come out and measure the mattress like every other company does. They said I had to go thru the warranty service.

At this point (and 4 weeks later) Bob was good enough to intervene with the corporate folks and I rec'd a call from Mattress Firm who asked me to send... wait for it... photos!!! I had already sent 15 photos, three times. I told the young lady on the phone I would send no more photos, I was not making a video and I wanted the mattress replaced and MF should have a service that comes to the house she said, "We do, but it will cost you $80.00" RIDICULOUS!!! And then she said I would have to pay $100 fee for the new mattress to be delivered. EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS.

So, in short, Bob in the Wilmington Store provides the best customer service ever. He is knowledgeable and goes to bat for his customers. The delivery people were prompt (apologetic that they were a few minutes late - not a problem!) and had the new bed set up and the old one out in about 10 minutes. Very professional. The warranty service? HORRIBLE. It is because of the warranty service process that I would not purchase from MF again. If the mattress has a 2 inch dip after one year, please don't put the customer thru the torment of photos and videos. I was never told up-front they had a service to come measure, and the store manager was not award of such a service as this was a new warranty system - it stinks, get rid of it. And don't charge people $80 for measuring and then $100 for delivery. P.S. I did not pay the $100 delivery!

Mattress Firm response

Good afternoon, We sincerely apologize for the difficulty you experienced with your recent warranty claim and thank you for bringing this to our attention. This has been assigned to a Customer Relations agent to follow up with you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was looking for a new mattress and Mattress Firm was the first place that I thought of. They're one of the most popular places. I walked into a store, explained what I wanted and the salesperson walked right towards where all the mattresses in my price range were and I picked one. It was a really easy experience and I was very satisfied. I got a mattress, a box spring, and a bed frame and it has been awesome using the products.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My ex-husband used to work for Mattress Firm and we got our last bed from them. They had really good deals right around the time that I needed a new mattress and we knew that they had a really good return policy, that they would come in and help us set it up and that we could get it delivered to my new apartment, which was a big part of the deal. I got a new queen-size mattress. It is lovely but I wish I had seen and felt it in person. It’s a bit firmer than what I usually like. It was my grandmother who bought it on my behalf, so I couldn’t really blame her for that. Nonetheless, I love the size of it, and the box-springs and the stand that it came on are great. The bed is comfortable for the most part. Also, the delivery drivers were lovely, super efficient and they arrived on time. They put on those little bags around their shoes and they were super quick. It was done in about 15 minutes. The experience was great and I’d definitely recommend Mattress Firm.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought a mattress the fifth Sunday. The associates were very rude. They sold me a used mattress. I try to take it back. Did not want to hear it so I think I'm going to have to put a lawyer. People really suck.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

The only good thing I can say about them is that their salespeople are very nice and helpful. I bought a mattress about 18 months ago now and have tried for over 6 months for a warranty claim. They make it impossible with the requests for pictures that can't really show how bad the springs have given away under the pillow top. Plus they ask for pictures that are almost impossible to take. I sent in all the pictures they requested and more than they needed showing that I had a large divot where I sleep in the mattress. They insisted I needed to pull the mattress and bed apart and take more pictures. I told them I'm a disabled veteran, and cannot physically do what they were asking for, not to mention since I cannot do that they're actually violating the law, and have been completely ignored.

I asked them to send somebody out. They said they don't send people out. Then I asked them how they did the warranty if they don't look at it, because a couple of pictures will not be acceptable by a company. I was ignored again. It's not like I didn't have proof I bought the mattress, that was all given to them with pictures of the tags. I guess they are just feeling that being disabled makes it so you don't have to honor your warranties. Thing is I have bought two mattresses from them, and a king size adjustable bases that I needed for multiple surgeries. I've spent thousands there, I will never spend another dime because I have found out how bad they lie. Also good luck getting responses from their email. All they do is send you the same cut and paste response.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

About month and half ago bought a brand new mattress and with adjustable frame. My new Exterminator which is costing $900 on top of $1200 I spent on the mattress/frame because we believe to came with bed bugs with the frame as they are inside the cloth part. Never in my life have I been more disgusted and never have I ever had this issue until I bought a new mattress. I highly recommend always checking all everything before you off on anything.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We purchased mattress from MattFirm in Glen Ellyn, IL., paid $1700 and they gave us adjustable base value $699 free which we didn't ask for it but they gave it to us anyway. Mattress didn't work out for us so we went to return it, guess what they told us. We can't return the base and they'll deduct the $699 from the price what we paid for mattress. This is completely dishonesty and fraud. There is nowhere it indicates in policy and salesperson didn't mention anything about that. So, be aware of this firm and watch out for their policy about 120 days comfort sleeping etc... Actually stay away from this place. They are very dishonest people. We are NOT going to give up, find every avenue to our money back.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

The Mattress Firm rep was helpful, listened to what we were looking for and gave us a number of different alternatives. It was a relaxed environment but she tried to upsell us a bit. After working with her though, we were able to get to where we needed to be in terms of price. We got a queen size hybrid mattress and it was a bit of an adjustment because I haven't had a hybrid mattress before. It takes time to get used to. We were the last delivery of the day and the bed got delivered at 8:00 on a Saturday night. Understandably, the crew wanted to get it wrapped up as quickly as possible and get out of there but they were professional.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought three mattresses from Mattress Firm. The rep was good. The purchase was fairly straightforward because I just went in and chose what I wanted and it was just ran a whole lot for us. Also, the delivery was fine. The mattresses got delivered exactly to my order. I am very satisfied with the quality of the products.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Mattress Firm is the biggest mattress company that I know of. I got a Sleepy's memory foam mattress from them. On the day of shipping, they gave a call that it was on its way, and then they were there in 10 minutes. They had fair pricing too. It was a pretty good experience with Mattress Firm and would definitely do it again if I needed to.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I’ve had Beautyrest for years. It just got old with a few lumps in it. We decided we’d want another mattress so we pitched Mattress Firm's mattress and the twin queen box came with it. I happened to be at the Akron Plaza so I went in, started talking to Cody and I thought of buying one from him. I used to be a mattress salesman and Cody did it by the book. He was a nice guy and he did a good job. I’m well-satisfied with the product as well as with the deliveryman. Everything was good.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Mattress Firm was doing a clearance sale and I ended up getting the entire Alcove Hybrid Plush bed set. It included the adjustable base, a mattress, sheets and a pillow case. The sales rep that we worked with was very professional. He offered us with as many deals as he could and the experience was exemplary. It was not until the delivery portion that everything fell apart. The experience was atrocious although it wasn’t exactly the store’s fault. From what I understood, either Mattress Firm has a third-party delivery service or the people who work in their delivery aren’t part of the store and the store has no control over them. That was what they kept trying to tell us.

The delivery was behind schedule and we didn’t know that we weren’t getting our stuff until five hours later when we had already put all of our plans off. They didn’t even give us a window for when they would make it to deliver. We sat for a week and a half with our old mattress already put outside and gone through the rain. When I tried to check the GPS, the truck wasn’t on the map and that raised the first red flag that something was wrong. Their delivery people turn off their GPS if they’re gonna be late. Then when we called the store to see what was going on with the delivery, the same guy who was such a wonderful customer experience representative inside the store was especially rude. That may have been because he had already received numerous calls from people who were not getting what they had asked for on that day. But that entire facade that he had whilst we were in the store was gone.

When we finally got a hold of the delivery people two hours later, we found out that the driver's helper had been hurt. A few stops occurred because of that but they never called us. Mattress Firm could put a stricter protocol informing people down the line that something has occurred. If we wouldn’t have called, we never would have known. The store manager opted to reimburse us our deposit for the delivery though. And those things aside, the product’s quality seems good. The underside light of the bed doesn’t work but when we reached out to Mattress Firm, they suggested troubleshooting and if that doesn’t work, to call the manufacturer to see what they could do. But one concern out of all those moving parts really isn’t that bad.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My girlfriend said that Mattress Firm was where we should go and so we started there as well as looked at a few different places. In the end, I bought a mattress from Mattress Firm and it came with the free adjustable motorized frame. Their sales rep was fantastic and great. We love the mattress and we're really happy with it. Now, we sleep a lot more soundly.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

In May 2018, I was helping a sick 89 year old retired school teacher purchase a mattress (over $500) by phone. The mattress delivery people broke her front door and it would not close. We called the company and they told us to get it fixed and to take before & after pictures and a picture of the payment so they could reimburse her. We emailed the required information the SAME DAY. After numerous phones calls to various managers, she still has not been reimbursed. As we all know teachers are woefully underpaid and their retirements are even less, so she needs her money. This month she will turn 90. By now they should reimburse her the entire amount of the mattress. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Mattress Firm should be boycotted.

Dear Donna,

We truly apologize for your dissatisfaction. We are here to help. A specialist will follow up with you to address your relayed concerns. Thank you for your feedback

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We got a mattress and box springs from Mattress Firm. They are local and convenient and the rep was very friendly and knew his business. He also wasn't pushy and left the decision up to us. We picked the mattress ourselves and no one came out to demonstrate it but we like the product that we bought. It's a nice bed and really comfortable. We had the opportunity to give it a try and we only chose just what we were looking for. I would recommend to at least check Mattress Firm out.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

When I was shopping for a mattress, I saw the sign of Mattress Firm and I stopped by and decided to buy one. The rep I dealt with was very knowledgeable and very polite. Their people were very helpful and they explained exactly what I need instead of pushing the products. The mattress was delivered to my home. Their delivery crew was very efficient, polite and funny. They hauled everything that they needed to and helped us more than I expected. I like the new mattress. I picked the firm one but my wife doesn’t like it firm. Nevertheless, I’ve had the mattress for a month and I can sleep now without pain.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was running another errand right in the mall where the Mattress Firm is and I decided to run in there too. I bought a mattress and a box spring, and another mattress. The salesman named Will was amazing and very personable. He walked me through a bunch of different kinds of mattresses and different price points. I’ve done some previous mattress research and he was able to show me comparable products and explained why they might be a bit better and I might be willing to spend a little bit more. When he felt that it was gonna be too expensive, he was able to offer me a free box spring and make it a more palatable purchase for me. He was a really nice guy and a good salesperson. He was just the right amount of educated and friendly without being pushy, which was a very nice balance.

The delivery team, on the other hand, delivered the products considerably late. It was the day that we were moving so that was annoying. They communicated with us but at that point, they were telling us there was nothing they can do about it. Also, my husband does not like the mattress because it's not firm enough for him and so we're returning it. Still, if you need a mattress quickly and you don’t know anything about mattresses, it’s really helpful to go to a store where you can try a bunch of stuff out and talk to somebody who can help you.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I stopped and took a look at the store and my experience with the Mattress Firm reps was fine. They delivered the new mattress the next day and I have had it for about two weeks now. I like the lift portion on the frame. I had a Sleep Number before and I was fine with it, but I enjoy the sleep of the adjustable part.

Mattress Firm expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1986, the retailer Mattress Firm is committed to providing sleep solutions that will help their customers live healthier and sleep better. Consumers can shop Mattress Firm online or at one of their 2000 locations across the United States.

• Selection: Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses, so consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of their showrooms.

• Special financing available: Financing offers are always available, and they can include zero percent APR for up to five years for qualifying consumers. Check with your local Mattress Firm to find out what financing options and specials they currently have.

• 90-day payment option with no credit required: Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Adjustable beds: In addition to selling mattresses from top brands, Mattress Firm also sells adjustable beds with additional features like massage and wireless control.

• Commercial sales: Mattress Firm can assist you with your commercial sales, whether you’re a school, hospital, government agency, interior decorator, hotel operator or other business that needs to buy mattresses in bulk.

• Best for: Mattress Firm is best for commercial sales and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information

www.mattressfirm.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business