2. Homeowners
  3. Mattress Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.36/5
Based on 1,144 ratings submitted in the last year

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

View More View More

Mattress Firm Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

We were looking for another Tempur-Pedic Mattress after our move to AZ. We Went to the Mattress Firm knowing what we wanted and we ended up getting the Best & Easiest Service ever. Our sales associate was Tamara **. She was so helpful listening as I explained about my bad back she knew immediately which mattress We needed to try, not only did we get the Tempur-Luxbreeze mattress but We ended up getting a great deal, also received our pillows & mattress in the package for nothing. I would definitely recommend going to this mattress firm and asking for Tamara. She will set you up with a wonderful mattress. Can’t wait to start getting a great night sleep again on our new mattress!! Thanks Mattress firm for making our purchase an easy one.. We walked out the door feeling very confident that we purchased the right mattress for us. Thanks Tamara for making us very happy with our purchase!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

When we bought two different Brand name mattresses in different firmness from Mattress Firm, we were given a great deal and 120 days to decide to keep. After only a couple weeks we knew we were not happy with our choice, her's was too firm and mine was way too soft, even though we picked out the softest and firmest Mattress Firm had to offer. The manager was our salesman from the beginning and Super helpful throughout the process and did everything he could to make us happy but after we tried many other mattresses and nothing was satisfactory he refunded In Full every penny. All of the mattresses Mattress Firm sold were of the Highest quality but just Not Firm enough for me OR soft enough for her. - All in all I give Mattress Firm a Top Recommendation.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Went in as this company sells purple and wanted to experience it. Had only planned on upgrading the mattress and never experience an adjustable frame. We felt so well taken care of we did not even go look at other brands or stores. From the moment we walked in, Levon, the store manager of the Ypsilanti MI store, greeted us and made us feel welcome and made sure we experienced the range of not only purple but options for frames. Since current bed is 20 years old and standard frame, much as changed. There is a lot of tech now in sleep hardware and the experience is like buying a car with all the selection + financing options and sales. In our case we did not have the high pressure that would be associated with car purchases sometimes.

Our case was unique in that we went through some adjustments in model/s decided before delivery. We deciding to upgrade bed frame, changing some things etc. Levon was there all the way and excellent communication and assistant as changing terms and items around requires good knowledge and patients. He obviously knows his stuff. Since I live halfway between Ann Arbor area and Toledo, did go in to a mattress firm in OH to check on the mattress I would be getting, for one last feel even though Mattress Firm has an in-home 120 days trial. The employee in that store knew of Levon and talked well of him as a great person to be working with. Knowing he is even respected by fellow workers in others stores says something. Delivery was on time and professional. Highly recommend this store and working with the manager there.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I have a fused cervical spine and chronic lower back pain, I have literally spent close to ten thousand dollars on mattresses over the past several years just trying to get a good comfortable nights sleep! I have wasted so much money on high end mattresses and yet after 4-6 months the mattresses seems to just get less comfortable and then end up causing me even more sleep robbing pain..

Most places I've been to in search of quality mattresses, (And I've been to quite a few!) are just full of paycheck hungry salesmen. Dennis ** at the Riverdale Mattress Firm store was more than just a salesman, He was someone who literally understood my issues as he has very similar issues himself. he not only shared his knowledge with me but also took the time to educate me on other options and gave me a few more tools to work with. He also helped me out by discounting a floor model for me as he sympathized the fact that I have bought so many high dollar mattresses over the past several years. Great guy! more than just a hungry salesman, he was kind and knowledgeable, very helpful in my opinion. I had a very positive experience at the Mattress Firm store in Riverdale. I just thought I would share this with anyone whom it may be relevant to.

Original review: April 1, 2019

The staff is excellent, Laural & Bill in the Hammond Store went out of their way to find the perfect mattress I purchased there last year for my daughter only to find it was discontinued... Bill sold me one close to it but was disappointed so I canceled the sale out since I wouldn't be able to get the Clairmont that I loved. They worked with me effortlessly & was extremely patient with me.... especially Laural. I was sorry that we could not find that perfect mattress but they went above & beyond to please me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I purchased a Stearns and Foster mattress online from Mattress Firm. They brought me a mattress that smell like it is filled with hard boiled eggs shells it stunk. I aired it for 3 days plus it's hard like concrete. I noticed when I was making the bed a tag hanging almost off so I went ahead and pulled it off. Remember now I planned on keeping this mattress. But since my air purifier in my bedroom was picking up a smell from the mattress every time I uncovered it. The air purifier turned red and was staying red.

Well I waited today for the exchange mattress the delivery guy came he even said he smell the bad smell coming from the mattress. But the tag the said that it can be removed by the consumer which is me. Oh he wouldn't take it back. Mind you now I only had this mattress for 3 days counting today. No one ever told me not to remove the tag. I think they brought me a used bed and the tag was no on properly to begin with.

DO Not BUY A MATTRESS from this company. I paid for the mattress upfront not financed and look how they did me. They gave me a mattress that was smelling like hard boiled eggs shells stinking and refused to accept it back because the tag that was at the top of the mattress under the headboard and I couldn't see it or move that very heavy mattress so I just pulled the piece of paper off they are not right. Please do not do business with them. I am going to seek legal counsel. The tag said that the consumer could remove it. I am the consumer. No one from mattress firm ever told me that I should not remove it.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Do not buy anything from Ashley Anderson in Fairfield Mattress firm store, Went in on Presidents Day sale, 2/17/20 and purchase 2 mattresses both qualified for the free adjustable base. But she keep trying up sale on the motorized base saying the free one is too flimsy. Went back 5 days later to try to claim the free adjustable base and said it was not possible because the sales has been done already. That's unheard of. I am required to return the mattress at 20% restocking fee and delivery fee & to re-purchase the mattresses to be able to receive the free adjustable base. That is just ridiculous. She told us on the day of purchase if we decided we wanted it we can come back and get it. Now all of a sudden there is all these fees... Do not recommend coming to this shady business.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

My husband and I have been wanting to switch to a king sized bed for some time. I saw the ad for President's Day, where you could purchase a King for the price of a queen. Perfect sale in our mind. I did my research on mattresses and the adjustable bases. We finally decided on a set and purchased it. I received the confirmation email saying it was purchased, and that they would be in contact with a phone call and email to confirm the delivery time and address.

Delivery day comes around and I still haven't received a call or email from anyone saying that the mattress set would be delivered. I called the customer service line and was on hold for 47 minutes before someone came to the line. I informed the agent of my issue at hand, and she placed me on hold once again to find out the issue. She comes back and tells me that only part of my order came through, and that she had to do some deeper digging to find out what happened. I was on hold for another 12 minutes when she came back. She told me that our purchase couldn't be delivered today due to a processing order of the mattress being out of stock again, even though it was in stock the day prior. She told me she wanted to help me find another mattress similar, but had to call me back in 30 minutes when she got it taken care of. I agreed to this, assuming it would be an easy fix.

Time passes and she calls me back. She found out the warehouse had the original mattress in stock and we could get it delivered on two other dates. I informed her that since we had planned on the set being delivered on the original day, we had disassembled the mattress at home, and had the space ready for the new one. Being 8 months pregnant, I kind of planned on having a mattress to sleep on. I asked if we could have just go pick it up, in which she responded she would check if we could.

The warehouse is two hours from our home, but we just wanted to go ahead and get it taken care of. She informed me that we would in fact be able to go pick it up today, just as long as we were okay with getting it ourselves. I told her I would double check with my husband, but we should be okay. She told me she would call me back at 11:30, to confirm the pick up time at the warehouse. Not a problem, assuming this problem was just solved. 12:20 rolls around and still no phone call. So I decided to call the customer service line again to at least figure out a time to go pick up our purchase. At the time of this writing, I have been on hold waiting for someone to come pick up the line for 1 hour and 35 minutes. While waiting for someone, I decided to do an online chat with someone to see if I could sort it out there.

I chatted with her for a little while, and while she was not a very happy agent, she couldn't come to a solution with our problem at hand. So, we decided to cancel our order and get a full refund due to the lack of organization and quality service for our purchase. This is definitely the worst experience I have ever had with an online purchase and customer service representatives. I will never recommend Mattress Firm to anyone, unless they want below mediocre service.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Sealy Posturepedic Mattress is the WORST mattress I have ever owned purchased 10/29/2016 from Mattress Factory. RIP OFF.... Warranty is not worth tag it is written on. Tried to file claim online with Sealy 7/2019. And they keep requiring more photo. I did exactly what they wanted and never got any results. I gave up and purchased a mattress from Original Mattress Factory. For a bed 3 years old. This is horrible.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

My husband and I purchased an adjustable bed frame. 5 p.m. the night prior to delivery I was informed that the bolts we special ordered for the headboard did not come in and that they had no idea when they would come in. I was very disappointed and asked to speak with a manager. I was told no one was available (which I later learned was completely true because the company takes no accountability). The salesperson tried emailing area managers but was advised that they probably won't respond because they were taking a long President's day holiday. So I was given the customer service number. After listening to and going through 12 prompts, I was circled back to the prompt and the recording advised I call the retail store I purchased from. I was frustrated because no one was able to provide an answer as to when my bed frame would be in. Meanwhile they had my money.

I will never make a purchase from Mattress Firm again and I will never recommend them. I would expect to get minimal service if I purchased online. However, my experience with companies like Wayfair and Amazon's customer service has been nothing short of excellent. Please think carefully before making a purchase in this chain of stores. Patricia

Not sure about Mattress Firm?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mattress for you.

Mattress Firm expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1986, the retailer Mattress Firm is committed to providing sleep solutions that will help their customers live healthier and sleep better. Consumers can shop Mattress Firm online or at one of their 2000 locations across the United States.

• Selection: Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses, so consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of their showrooms.

• Special financing available: Financing offers are always available, and they can include zero percent APR for up to five years for qualifying consumers. Check with your local Mattress Firm to find out what financing options and specials they currently have.

• 90-day payment option with no credit required: Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Adjustable beds: In addition to selling mattresses from top brands, Mattress Firm also sells adjustable beds with additional features like massage and wireless control.

• Commercial sales: Mattress Firm can assist you with your commercial sales, whether you’re a school, hospital, government agency, interior decorator, hotel operator or other business that needs to buy mattresses in bulk.

• Best for: Mattress Firm is best for commercial sales and budget-conscious consumers.

by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information