3.72/5
Based on 996 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

Mattress Firm Video
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 18, 2018

2028 Mattress Firm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

I cannot say enough nice things about Monica ** who helped me to purchase a new bed. She was very knowledgeable in her explaining of the Mattress Firm products. She was friendly, courteous and even made me a cup of coffee while waiting for the paperwork to be processed. It was a very quick transaction. 5 STARS for Monica ** for her going out of her way to make a customer have the best experience for bed shopping ever.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 13, 2018

I’ve had my mattress 3, maybe 4 years. End of year 2 I called to tell them that I have a sinkhole in my mattress and the sides are bulging out. I paid for the kit, sent back photos and never received a call or email as promised. I’ve called multiple times since then and all they say is that they cannot readily identify if there is an issues based on photos and keep trying to send a person to my home (at my cost) to verify damage. I’ve sent photos from every angle plus more and still nothing. I don’t want my money back I just simply want to exchange my mattress for one that isn’t broken after a year.

So frustrated! Every call they pretend like they have never heard of me, or that I haven’t submitted photos of my claim. A JOKE!! Someone in corporate needs to get involved at this point, there are days I want to throw this mattress in the trash because it’s made my back problems so unbearable but that’s throwing away over 1k and I just want to exchange my mattress.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Compared numerous competitors and decision to purchase came down to stated and written tear down and set up included in cost. When delivered installers said they weren’t paid to remove old mattress. Refused delivery and went to second company of choice. Totally dishonest either sales or delivery. At the consumers end the cause of the fraud doesn’t matter. Stay away from this company.

Resolution response: April 10, 2018

The district manager contacted me back and was exceptional on how he addressed my concerns. Above and beyond my expectations. The store sales associate also followed up to ensure my satisfaction.

I heard that mattress firm made customer service a priority and they are truely delivering. I was expecting my issues to go unanswered and boy did they prove me wrong :). Mattress firm had turned me into a loyal shopper.

Original review: April 9, 2018

The salesperson repeatedly answered that the dream lux bed display model was "one of the few brands" that still has manufacturers warranty. Then I saw on the website that display models do not have warranties. This was verified by talking to a warranty specialist and talking to another clearance store. Followed up with my salesperson and again he said there was a warranty, not to believe the website or customer service agent. He said, "I've been here 5 years and wouldn't lie about warranties." And to just call him directly if I had issues.

Point here is while the salesperson tried to reassure me, my trust is now eroded due to everyone else in the company saying there is no warranty except for him. I have no guarantee that if the mattress has issues down the road that it will be resolved. ESP what if the salesperson decides to leave the company? What compliance does Mattress Firm have in place to make sure salespeople are saying the right things? This is really shady sales tactics. I do not appreciate it. Tried to reach district manager but no timely response. At the end of the day, I had to think through. Would I still buy the display bed knowing there is no warranty. For now it's yes, but it's a shame I did not get accurate info upfront. Might change this review rating depending on if anyone gets back to me. Thanks.

Original review: April 9, 2018 To start, we visited the Saginaw Mattress Firm store on Black Friday 2017 around 10 am. We were lured in by the free adjustable base and the Sonos one. We tested out a few mattresses and decided on one. As we were at the desk getting ready to place our order, we were informed the adjustable bases were on back order till February 2018. We were talked into the next step up base (adjustable head & feet) for an additional $500 and 6 months of payments we didn't want.

Our mattress was delivered and we tested for 30 days. That mattress was too firm and we wanted to exchange. We were told on the 1st of January that we didn't have to make a decision until the 13th because the mattresses were out of stock in the warehouse.

We had come back on January 11th and were told the mattresses had already sold out and it would be another two weeks before delivery. We decided on a mattress anyway and put our order in. We received the second mattress and after a few weeks of testing it out, we had to exchange because it was too soft. We woke up with really sore bodies and headaches almost every day. So we go back to the store. The manager, Will, seemed irritated that we were back in and gave me the runaround about trying to return the base if we upgraded to a king. Again, we are persuaded to hold off until the new mattresses came in. Which led to one delay after another. With only two days left in our "trial period", we had to pick a mattress. We upgraded from a queen to a king, could not return the adjustable base (which is now a useless waste of $500) unless we upgraded to a king size (for additional $$$).

So we picked the third mattress, a platform base and a mattress protector. I sign on the dotted line to finance $1,334 and talked into 36 months of payments. I was unaware the employee wasn't exchanging from the very first promo (like they did for the second mattress) and instead starting a new promo balance. Then a couple weeks later I look at my bill online and it's $2,700. We now have two promotional balances we have to pay on. One is 48 months and the other is 36 months. Which means we have a higher monthly payment. With our experience with the employees (three of them), the mattresses and the financing issues, we wish we would've just gone elsewhere. Now we're stuck with a high bill, a base we can't use and a headache from this mess. Still extremely unsatisfied and would love for someone to contact me. Or even come get all this stuff!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: April 8, 2018

We needed a new mattress and the store was right there so we hopped in. Everything went well with the reps. We got the bed as well as the adjustable base and the bed has been good. We had it delivered but the delivery was not great. It was scheduled to be delivered on a Sunday, but I live on a Navy base and they didn’t send the right credential people to get on the base after we had informed them of that while we were in the store so it wasn’t delivered until five days later. There were two people on the delivery but one couldn’t get to the base because he didn’t have his correct credential, so I ended up having to help the one guy out. They have to make sure that they're on top of their game if they're delivering somewhere that needs certain credentials, but other than that, they were good.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I trust Mattress Firm's products, and I purchased my third mattress from them. I got the complete bed set, box springs, and mattress. The first time I made my purchase, I did it in person, but I purchased this last one that I have without anyone live. My experience in using their website was fine. I liked the range of the prices and choices, so I can get pretty much what fits me, and I enjoy that. Also, I got what I paid for. The Mattress Firm product was delivered right away and the delivery team took everything that they needed to take away. Sometimes the companies will either not take the old mattress or leave their boxes around, but the Mattress Firm team didn't leave anything. I'm satisfied with the Mattress Firm mattress and I'd recommend it.

Original review: April 7, 2018

We did a lot of mattress shopping and Mattress Firm offered a really good deal. The sales lady helped us out and I liked her a lot. She was pretty genuine. We bought a king-size mattress with an adjustable base. We had it delivered and had good interaction with the delivery team. So far, we've had a good experience with the mattress.

Original review: April 7, 2018

We purchased a king mattress today from Totem Lake Mattress Firm and cannot rave enough about the outstanding experience. Nancy was the prime sales person. She was exceptionally knowledgeable, efficient and able to answer all our questions. She took the time to explain the difference between the options - honored a price discount and managed to get the bed to us - same day delivery. The delivery service equaled the quality of the purchase process. Wow - what a team - will highly recommend the store to anyone who will listen! Thank you for exceeding expectations on every account.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I purchased from Mattress Firm before for several times, and this last time, I got a full bed set. I went there and I wanted certain things but I wanted to ask questions about other things as well. I was able to change my mind before if there was something about the mattress or if it felt better than other things. So, the sales rep showed me plenty of models and he didn’t press me to buy one over the other. All the times I've been in there, I've had that same experience. They’ve always been really nice about being sure that I have a chance to try different things that I might enjoy until I find the one I want. The mattress that I bought is very similar to the one that I had purchased before and I can tell it will be perfect. I've got to buy another bed, so I'm going to have to get back over there and get some information again.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Our mattress was damaged on delivery, we didn’t notice until the next day. Mattress Firm basically said tough, "It’s yours now and forget about warranty and 120 comfort return guarantee." It was unbelievable! This is not a company to do business with ever. They damage a $3000 mattress and say tough it’s yours, really. We haven’t given up, plan to contact NBC 5 consumer report, BBB and others.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We bought a Cloud Supreme Breeze mattress and adjustable bed. Love the ability to adjust bed. Mattress is so uncomfortable, I feel like if you get too close to edge will roll off bed. We both have backache in the morning. My husband has to be elevated but, he is so uncomfortable. This is the most we have ever paid for a mattress, we are so disappointed. We sleep on sofa. No backache in morning. It's been a nightmare. We used to look forward to bed, not anymore. It's not even 2 years old. We have to buy another mattress. Won't be going to Mattress Firm.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Mattress Firm was right down the road and their sales reps were great. They knew what they were doing and were very accommodating. The delivery was fine but the product itself needed to be replaced. They came, picked up the bad stuff and redelivered. It was good and we got what we paid for.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I liked Mattress Firm's service at the store. The rep took his time and explained the product very well. I bought the Dream mattress and I really like it. Mattress Firm brought it to me but the delivery wasn't great. There was terrible communication between the store and the delivery people. The delivery was a couple of days late and it was just a mess, but we finally got it resolved. Nevertheless, I would tell a friend who was asking me about Mattress Firm to get to that store that I went to and get the salesman that I dealt with.

Original review: April 5, 2018

People, make sure to figure out all the ** details before you pay these people. It's been 2 weeks since I already paid them $1500+ for mattress and still no delivery. I live in Manhattan and my building requires just two forms: Certification of Insurance and Liability Addendum. Despite the clear instruction, they only filled out COI and showed up at my doorstep! I took a day off. What a waste. My building didn't allow the delivery because they didn't fill out the addendum. Now after 10+ calls and several email, I still don't have the addendum signed which is required. There is so much miscommunication from Mattress Firm and their dispatcher company. Dispatcher company is the one responsible for signing the form and I don't have their contact (nobody does except for mattress firm). Anyways, in between all this mess, I'm stuck paying hundreds of dollars without delivery!!! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE, LEGAL ACTION IS MY NEXT STEP!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I bought a bed on March 1, 2018 From Fabio at the South Austin location. Paid in full 1,400 and till this day I haven't yet received it. They sent it to the wrong address twice. Nobody called me to let me know that the person that was receiving the mattress denied it twice. Now they're telling me it's in loss prevention hands because someone signed for it and the signatures matched. There is no way that could even be possible because it went to the wrong address. How in the world would that lady know how I did my signature. Yeah not possible.

Every time I called to the store they tell me, "It's out of our hands." Corporate has to deal with that but they were real quick to take my money and they didn't offer any customer service after the bed went missing. I had to call them every time and made a police report for theft and forged signature. I am very disappointed on how these people treat their customers. It's been a month and all I am getting is no information. I am being pushed thru all these people that can't help me and it is very frustrating. The thing that has me wondering is why I received a denial letter on how I got denied for trying to use a prepaid card that I use for my company but they sent the bed to the wrong address.

Original review: April 5, 2018

A couple of friends of mine had bought beds from Mattress Firm and they recommended the brand to me. Mattress Firm has good deals, a lot of options in the store, and a good array of mattresses. I got an adjustable bed frame and a Beautyrest queen mattress that's a hybrid memory foam from them. Bill, the salesman who we've had purchased from, was fabulous and we liked him. However, the delivery team was about 45 minutes late from their window time when they came. Then when my husband talked to the Waynesville store manager Jordan because the mattress had holes along the sides of it with the seam, the experience was not good at all. Jordan was putting the blame on me because I let the delivery people leave before noticing that there were holes in the bed.

A guy then called me and we got our bed replaced. The second delivery team was more professional than the first. They wore booties on their feet when they came in the house which I appreciated because we don’t wear shoes in our house. I like the mattress and although it's a little too soft, it's pretty comfortable. I'd recommend Mattress Firm and tell people to request to speak with Bill because he was really nice. I'd also tell them to check the bed thoroughly before the delivery guys leave just to make sure it's in the condition it should be.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Mattress Firm is in the area where I live. I went in and looked at a couple of mattresses. I was impressed with the excellent customer service skills of John, the representative. He was very approachable and knowledgeable about the product. He was very helpful in selecting the correct mattress and in working with my schedule to try to get the delivery done on the same day. I also bought a box spring. I was going to a different company, but I decided to go with Mattress Firm. It's a good product and I really like it. I'm glad that I came and got it when I did, since it was time for me to get a new bed.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Purchased a queen mattress for my 14 year old son in mid December 2017 and by mid March 2018 there was a noticeable sag by a few inches. I followed the instructions on the Mattress Firm site and received an email one week later explaining that the mattress was still under warranty and so did indeed have a faulty product. I called to get a refund and was told that I was only allowed to exchange my mattress for a new one minus the $80 delivery fee and I would have to pay delivery again.

After over an hour on the phone I was told that a regional manager would contact me to discuss this and by the way my warranty is obsolete in 7 days. After that day my claim will not be honored. All I want is a refund for a service I paid for that was unsatisfactory. The manager has yet to contact me. If I had the option of a refund I would have gladly shopped for a new mattress at Mattress Firm but don't appreciate being limited considering the substandard product I purchased and followed the arduous process to report a claim.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We purchased from Mattress Firm in the past and we loved the product and the customer service, so we decided to go back for a second visit. This time, we got a queen mattress set and I was impressed with their rep's knowledge of the product and friendliness. The delivery was fantastic as well. Everything about the experience was great.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I knew that Mattress Firm's products were as good as Sleepy's. I purchased some mattress from Sleepy's two years ago and I was very pleased and satisfied up until now with it. I like the memory foam top mattresses and when I went out to see what Mattress Firm had, the guy compared them to what I already had and found one almost exactly like it. It's a Beautyrest Recharge Signature Select and it's a good quality product. The sales rep who assisted me was very friendly, beautiful, and very helpful. He told me to return it if I didn't like it because it was in the contract that after three months, I could return it as long as I have kept it clean.

The delivery also went wonderful. I wanted the mattress down in the basement and I thought their reps wouldn't want to go down there but they said they'd give it a shot and they went all the way down. They told me they were to carry the old ones away, bring in the new one, and set up the new rails. But instead of taking the old one away for me, they put them in one patio back there where I wanted it. They were good and very patient with me. All in all, I would recommend Mattress Firm to my friends because I love them so far.

Original review: April 3, 2018

We initially bought a firm mattress from Mattress Firm and we tried it out for three and a half weeks. But my neck was killing me, so we returned it and they swapped it out, no questions asked, for a softer one. Our experience with Mattress Firm has been wonderful ever since. The rep, Terry, was great and she even followed up with a phone call to make sure that was the mattress we needed. They delivered the mattress to us and the delivery experience was fine.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I had decided to purchase a mattress from Mattress Firm because I thought I would get a quality product that would last me for maybe 10 to 20 years. I was very wrong to think this. I have had my mattress for about a year and it is already falling apart. I wake up with back pain because of the sinkhole I am sleeping in. The edge of the mattress has completely collapsed. This is unbelievable. I was talked into spending 3 times as much as I intended to, I AM STILL PAYING FOR THE MATTRESS, and it didn't even last a year. I'm also suspicious that I was sold a used mattress and I will be investigating this further. I DO NOT recommend anyone to shop at Mattress Firm.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Mattress Firm is on the corner of where I live and it used to be Sleepy's. I know the workers in there and I used to work with a few of them and also grew up with a few of them. I was looking for a new bed and I went in there. A rep sat me down to explain things to me, and they did a good job. They took and checked my credit. I have a wonderful credit and I had $1,500 that I could spend if we bought the bed. There was a sale that was going on, so I ended up buying one of Mattress Firm's soft beds. I have a bad back and I needed something that was going to be comfortable with my back. The delivery team brought the bed to me and made the bed up for me. My sleep is much better now and I'm not waking up every time. I'm definitely happy with it and I've recommended Mattress Firm to a friend.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We bought multiple mattresses over the years from Mattress Firm because we were successful the first time we did. We purchased a king size bed and headboard from them recently and I had a fine experience with their sales rep, Beverly. She seemed to know the products and she was very helpful. When the product was delivered, the guys were nice and they put it together. But there was a flaw in the bed. The top of it was flipping up when we sat on the end of the bed. They didn't seem to know what was happening so I called and talked to Beverly about it and sent pictures to her.

It was clear that the bed frame that they sold us did not fit the mattress. When I'm looking at the end of the bed, the rails don’t come all the way to the end or even close to it that’s why it was flipping up. She said that they had discontinued the old rails, and they were using these new ones with these new beds. She even said that they clearly did not fit. She let someone know right away in their corporate offices that that was the problem. She ended up giving us a footboard and rails that would fit the frame even though I didn’t want a footboard. If I was the person who wanted a footboard, I would be thrilled to death because it was a very nice footboard that matches the headboard but I still don’t want one. They shouldn't sell that frame with that mattress because it doesn't fit.

Even though I appreciated what she did and there was a cost to them to do it, I would rather have had just the frame that fits. We have a little bench we like to have at the end of our bed so our dog can jump on the bench to get on the bed. Now that we have a footboard, the bench sticks out further. He can still jump up there, but it's not flexed with our bed. It's pushed out. Other than that, we had good luck with Mattress Firm.

Original review: April 1, 2018

After purchasing this mattress we eventually found that there were bed bugs in the bed. While trying to exterminate the bed bugs we reverse the mattress and saw at the bottom of the mattress a bug staying. The stain is not on top. It is not in between reuse mattress covers. It was a big stain on the bottom of the mattress. A picture will be forwarded if you so desire.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Alcove Hybrid King Mattress - I purchased this mattress 9/16. 17 months later there is a huge sag in the bed. Salesman ensuring me this should be the last mattress I would ever have to purchase. My sale price was $2125.34 out the door only because I bought a floor model. So a little more than a year into it I have a bed with a huge sag in it and Customer Service will not do anything for me Because it was a floor model. You have to take six different measurements and photos and send them into customer service and they said, "Sorry. Cannot help you."

So the only way they would’ve helped me is if I paid the $5400 for the mattress which would be the same mattress that I paid $2125.00 for. This company does not and will not stand behind the product that you have purchased from the floor so please save your hard earned money and go to a store that can take care of you. I still have to go buy another mattress because this one is poorly made. Very Disappointed.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I got a Beautyrest pillow top twin mattress from Mattress Firm, and I’m enjoying it. I had very thin and hand-me-down mattresses before and the springs were also popping out of. This was my first mattress purchase and getting a brand-new mattress was fantastic. The staff at Mattress Firm were extremely helpful in helping me figure out what would be the best one to switch over to and they helped me find something that was on my budget list as well. The rep, Patricia, was amazing. She was very patient and encouraged me to try several different beds while I was there and find which one would work for me.

When the bed was delivered, it was the quickest and the on-time time delivery I have ever had. I got a call the day before saying the delivery guys would be here between 1 and 3, and they called half an hour before saying they were on their way. And within 10 minutes, my old mattress was out and the new one was put in. I would definitely recommend Mattress Firm.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Purchased a 3400$ mattress. Returned it within the 120 day window. Signed for return on March 17th 2018, Mattress Firm picked it up the mattress on March 20th. Tomorrow is April 1st and still no sign of my refund. I'm not sure what type of scam this is but any business I have ever dealt with you pay when service is rendered and you get a refund processed the day the item is returned. Over two weeks and still no $ in my account. I would not purchase from this company in future and would caution other Americans to exercise caution when purchasing from Mattress Firm.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I purchased 2 plush firm beds from Mattress Firm. $250 each. I sign the agreement of no refunds or returns because I expected to look and feel just like the ones the salesperson showed me. They looked beautiful, but after one night, my full size bed sinks slightly in the middle and later I found a yellow sticker that says "second hand used" and sanitized treated with germicidal process approved by Texas. Just know that you won't get exactly what they show you. Very dissatisfied with company.

Mattress Firm expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1986, the retailer Mattress Firm is committed to providing sleep solutions that will help their customers live healthier and sleep better. Consumers can shop Mattress Firm online or at one of their 2000 locations across the United States.

• Selection: Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses, so consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of their showrooms.

• Special financing available: Financing offers are always available, and they can include zero percent APR for up to five years for qualifying consumers. Check with your local Mattress Firm to find out what financing options and specials they currently have.

• 90-day payment option with no credit required: Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Adjustable beds: In addition to selling mattresses from top brands, Mattress Firm also sells adjustable beds with additional features like massage and wireless control.

• Commercial sales: Mattress Firm can assist you with your commercial sales, whether you’re a school, hospital, government agency, interior decorator, hotel operator or other business that needs to buy mattresses in bulk.

• Best for: Mattress Firm is best for commercial sales and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information