3.54/5
Based on 1,158 ratings submitted in the last year

Need a good mattress?

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

View More View More

Need a good mattress?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Mattress Firm Reviews

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

When we bought two different Brand name mattresses in different firmness from Mattress Firm, we were given a great deal and 120 days to decide to keep. After only a couple weeks we knew we were not happy with our choice, her's was too firm and mine was way too soft, even though we picked out the softest and firmest Mattress Firm had to offer. The manager was our salesman from the beginning and Super helpful throughout the process and did everything he could to make us happy but after we tried many other mattresses and nothing was satisfactory he refunded In Full every penny. All of the mattresses Mattress Firm sold were of the Highest quality but just Not Firm enough for me OR soft enough for her. - All in all I give Mattress Firm a Top Recommendation.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Went in as this company sells purple and wanted to experience it. Had only planned on upgrading the mattress and never experience an adjustable frame. We felt so well taken care of we did not even go look at other brands or stores. From the moment we walked in, Levon, the store manager of the Ypsilanti MI store, greeted us and made us feel welcome and made sure we experienced the range of not only purple but options for frames. Since current bed is 20 years old and standard frame, much as changed. There is a lot of tech now in sleep hardware and the experience is like buying a car with all the selection + financing options and sales. In our case we did not have the high pressure that would be associated with car purchases sometimes.

Our case was unique in that we went through some adjustments in model/s decided before delivery. We deciding to upgrade bed frame, changing some things etc. Levon was there all the way and excellent communication and assistant as changing terms and items around requires good knowledge and patients. He obviously knows his stuff. Since I live halfway between Ann Arbor area and Toledo, did go in to a mattress firm in OH to check on the mattress I would be getting, for one last feel even though Mattress Firm has an in-home 120 days trial. The employee in that store knew of Levon and talked well of him as a great person to be working with. Knowing he is even respected by fellow workers in others stores says something. Delivery was on time and professional. Highly recommend this store and working with the manager there.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I have a fused cervical spine and chronic lower back pain, I have literally spent close to ten thousand dollars on mattresses over the past several years just trying to get a good comfortable nights sleep! I have wasted so much money on high end mattresses and yet after 4-6 months the mattresses seems to just get less comfortable and then end up causing me even more sleep robbing pain..

Most places I've been to in search of quality mattresses, (And I've been to quite a few!) are just full of paycheck hungry salesmen. Dennis ** at the Riverdale Mattress Firm store was more than just a salesman, He was someone who literally understood my issues as he has very similar issues himself. he not only shared his knowledge with me but also took the time to educate me on other options and gave me a few more tools to work with. He also helped me out by discounting a floor model for me as he sympathized the fact that I have bought so many high dollar mattresses over the past several years. Great guy! more than just a hungry salesman, he was kind and knowledgeable, very helpful in my opinion. I had a very positive experience at the Mattress Firm store in Riverdale. I just thought I would share this with anyone whom it may be relevant to.

Original review: April 1, 2019

The staff is excellent, Laural & Bill in the Hammond Store went out of their way to find the perfect mattress I purchased there last year for my daughter only to find it was discontinued... Bill sold me one close to it but was disappointed so I canceled the sale out since I wouldn't be able to get the Clairmont that I loved. They worked with me effortlessly & was extremely patient with me.... especially Laural. I was sorry that we could not find that perfect mattress but they went above & beyond to please me.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I needed a mattress very bad. Not just any mattress but the adjustable. I first called and spoke with April **, she listen and gave some ideas for me to think about. Yesterday, I went in the store and spoke with April **. She really showed me all types of mattress. She was awesome and she showed that she care. I rate her the number one salesperson. I will definitely refer friends and family to Mattress Firm in Vacaville, Ca. Thank you April ** for all your help!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

My mattress was uncomfortable and had a big bubble on one side. It was delivered without plastic wrap, so I wondered if it was used, though it seemed clean. I wanted to upgrade to a nicer mattress, so I attempted to do so both online and via phone call. I waited for an hour on two separate occasions with Mattress Firm "chat" agents and was disconnected each time. The last time time the agent abruptly ended the chat after saying I had just missed the warranty deadline. I then left two voice mails with customer service who never called me back. I now have a bad mattress that cost too much. I wanted to upgrade to a nicer mattress but will now have to buy one from a more reputable company.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

First off was given a delivery date that changed the night before. Needing someone to be home is understandable but 12 hours is short notice to call out/find someone available to wait is not easy. Second When mattress was delivered the delivery personnel refused to take the old mattress away Stating "WE DON'T TAKE THE OLD MATTRESS". Even though we paid to have it removed.

Third When contacting Mattress Firm we were instructed to keep the old mattress indoors and it would be picked up that evening or the next day. Upon returning home from work the following day the mattress remains in the entrance of my home blocking entrance to my garage and interfering with any in/ out to my house. So after contacting mattress firm we are now given a date 5 days after delivery as a pickup date. 5 days of shuffling a queen size mattress around is uncalled for. To top that off I was hung up several times trying to get a earlier pickup day. Lack of communication and/or understanding on their part is less than professional. In the future I will give my opinion to avoid business with this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I got a mattress with an adjustable frame/base. The mattress is only 8 months and it's bulching in the middle! Tried to submit a claim online because you can't do this over the phone, its asks for pictures of the mattress and the frame but it rejects all of the pictures! I can't submit a claim if but I believe this is the plan so one gets frustrated or pays the 79.99 third party inspection service, or gives up all together on the so call 10 years warranty! Never again will I buy from Mattress Firm.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

We had gone into our local Mattress Firm to buy an adjustable bed for one of our new homes. We received the bed on 12/1/18. We had noted that there was a light odor at the time, however attributed it to maybe being new, and possibly the motor part of the adjustable box spring. We lived in the house 2 months and went to our other home (as we flip homes for a living and I stage them all for sale afterwards).

We returned back here to Florida 2 weeks ago, however the smell now in the bedroom (and it's not the mattress) is coming from the base.!!! It literally smells toxic. We've had to sleep in the other room on an air mattress to avoid getting sick. Our dog began "choking", and has to be kept out of there as he now needs a hydrocodone cough syrup! And I got pneumonia!

I called the company booklet 1-800 # provided, when they delivered the bed. They gave me a booklet with a serial # and frame code. When I called they were going to send a tech. out to see what's going on, however they asked me to send them a copy of my sales receipt. I did forward it. I have a "RIZE THE EDGE HT ADJUSTABLE BED FRAME". The company representative phoned me and said "Matress Firm gave you the wrong box spring. Your sales slip says you purchased a L&P 100 SERIES ADJUSTABLE BASE QUEEN ADJUSTABLE BASE".!!!

They gave us the wrong base!!! And too make it worse I paid $899-!!!! The smell is definitely from the base. It literally smells like burning rubber or like a tire shop.!!!! The smells toxic, and I guess I will end up throwing it out, but buyers BEWARE!!! THAT DAY WE MOVED IN, everything was being delivered in one day, furniture, appliances, etc.... So honestly I wouldn't have known the difference until now., As I said we never bought an adjustable base, and figured it was the hydraulics, as first we last year attributed it to being new, but in 7 months and we returned. WOWZA IT STINKS!!!

Any questions call me. I am filing a formal complaint with my local attorney general's office for fraud. I only want what I paid for and they can haul this back to the tire factory that it came from.!!! I purchased from: Mattress Firm Saint Petersburg West (MG) # 025062 4054 Park Street North Saint Petersburg, Florida, 33709 USA. Phone 727-343-6899. Sales associate: ** My name and address and email for consumer questions regarding this are: John **. Address for correspondence is: **.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

My mattress arrived in sealed plastic inside of Boxes. I was assuming that means new. The deliverers two very nice young men check them out of the boxes, carried. The man the sealed plastic open the plastic and place them on my bed Frame. I thanked them and they left. I went to put the mattress cover on them and noticed stains and black mold all over them. To my dismay I got in my car and went to my local Mattress Firm. I had taken pictures and showed them to them. The store was wonderful about the whole issue. They felt terrible. They are in the process of making it right but buyer beware. The new mattresses that I received were not new even though they were in plastic in boxes. Make sure you check your mattress immediately.

Mattress Firm expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1986, the retailer Mattress Firm is committed to providing sleep solutions that will help their customers live healthier and sleep better. Consumers can shop Mattress Firm online or at one of their 2000 locations across the United States.

• Selection: Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses, so consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of their showrooms.

• Special financing available: Financing offers are always available, and they can include zero percent APR for up to five years for qualifying consumers. Check with your local Mattress Firm to find out what financing options and specials they currently have.

• 90-day payment option with no credit required: Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Adjustable beds: In addition to selling mattresses from top brands, Mattress Firm also sells adjustable beds with additional features like massage and wireless control.

• Commercial sales: Mattress Firm can assist you with your commercial sales, whether you’re a school, hospital, government agency, interior decorator, hotel operator or other business that needs to buy mattresses in bulk.

• Best for: Mattress Firm is best for commercial sales and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
      Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information