3.61/5
Based on 1,205 ratings submitted in the last year

Need a good mattress?

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

View More View More

Need a good mattress?

Mattress Firm Reviews

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I have a fused cervical spine and chronic lower back pain, I have literally spent close to ten thousand dollars on mattresses over the past several years just trying to get a good comfortable nights sleep! I have wasted so much money on high end mattresses and yet after 4-6 months the mattresses seems to just get less comfortable and then end up causing me even more sleep robbing pain..

Most places I've been to in search of quality mattresses, (And I've been to quite a few!) are just full of paycheck hungry salesmen. Dennis ** at the Riverdale Mattress Firm store was more than just a salesman, He was someone who literally understood my issues as he has very similar issues himself. he not only shared his knowledge with me but also took the time to educate me on other options and gave me a few more tools to work with. He also helped me out by discounting a floor model for me as he sympathized the fact that I have bought so many high dollar mattresses over the past several years. Great guy! more than just a hungry salesman, he was kind and knowledgeable, very helpful in my opinion. I had a very positive experience at the Mattress Firm store in Riverdale. I just thought I would share this with anyone whom it may be relevant to.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We had a weird circumstance in that we were buying our mattress in Illinois but we were moving to Florida. So we wanted to choose somewhere that we knew would have more locations in both places. Mattress Firm's Labor Day sale was also going on and it seemed like a good time to buy. We were the only people in the store that day so we wanted to try a bunch of different mattresses since we understood our situation. We didn't want to spend a ton of money but we also wanted to get a really nice mattress that will last us a really long time. My boyfriend and I also had different tastes in what we wanted in a mattress. And the sales representative was super helpful.

I decided to finance the mattress but I don’t know if I got the piece of mail that would set it up at the old address or what. So I had to make the payment over the phone. That was fine but in order for me to do that, I had to contact Mattress Firm and ask one of the people at the store for the number for the finance company. But that was only thing that I had an issue with. We had picked a hybrid king size mattress because more space is always better and we got whatever was firm. This was like a softer firm though. It wasn’t a super firm mattress. We had it delivered to our apartment in Florida and that went well.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

There was a lady that I know that was having a rough time. She needed a mattress for her son and I wanted to buy one for her. I live right down the street from Mattress Firm and I had a good experience with them that time so I went back. I then bought a box spring and mattress for my mother-in-law. The sales reps from both times were great. I told them what I want in a bed and asked how I could go about doing it, and they did everything they could to help me out. Then, I went back and bought another mattress and box spring for my daughter. And then last week, I bought for my son. My kids love them! So I'd tell a friend to go to Mattress Firm. Their service is great and they do everything they could to help you.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I called Mattress Firm on Friday at a "clearance/outlet" kind of store. I spoke to a lady that told me they had 50% off pricing on floor model and used ones. I never purchased a used mattress before and wanted to know if it was cleaned. The lady over the phone stated it was cleaned hospital grade sanitized, but the floor model ones are not. I also asked DO they do same day delivery. I was told that they do. On my drive from one of my errands to get to the store that helped me over the phone, I put Mattress Firm in my GPS and there was one less than 10 seconds of me turning onto the highway. I went in, found one I couldn't stop going to.

She wasn't pushy and attentive to my needs. The manager told me she had one that was the used one. The price was great, but then the delivery I was told would not be either today or tomorrow, but inconveniently during the week. That is the reason I spent that time to make the purchase was to get it the same day. When checking out, it wasn't quite clear if I was truly getting the used, which is hospital grade sanitized, or the floor model. However, the manager stated they ALL of their floor model and used mattresses are hospital grade sanitized.

The issue with getting the product to me made no sense regarding location no matter how much it was explained to me in store. I called and it still was a story of the product being in one store, but not in the warehouse, which is not even 30 minutes away, from my guestimation. Really thinking of reconsidering the purchase because I'm not sure of what I am actually getting any difference in information from people in same company over same procedures. I am just questioning the product to come since it will be a final sale, as well.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The sales representative I worked with at Mattress Firm was really knowledgeable about the beds and the mattresses. That was one thing that I liked about her. She explained how everything worked with the different beds in the store and she did it very well. The delivery people were great too. They were really nice gentlemen. They had to come up the stairs with the bed and there was no problem. They set it up and showed me how to work it. But I’ve been worried about one thing. I’m not sure when I was supposed to make my first payment on the bed. I went back through the paperwork and I couldn’t find it on there. I have not heard from Mattress Firm or the bank that financed it either. That aside, I've had the adjustable bed for almost two months now and I've been happy with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I purchased a full sized mattress in July from the Mattress Firm for my 10 year old son at the store in Sturbridge Ma. Purchase price was 400$. The mattress side started to blow out after 1 month. I assumed I could just exchange at the store that is the way I purchased and brought the mattress home in my truck. But I was told I would have to go through the warranty dept taking pictures and fill out form with the description of the defect. I did all that and was told I could exchange the item but would have to pay 99$. Why should I have to give them more money when they sold me a defective mattress. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I bought a BedGear Aspire 3.0 Pillow from Sleepy's in 2016 for $150. The seams have burst, and Mattress Firm refuses to make any restitution. They tell me the pillow only lasts from 12-18 months. No one told me this when I bought the pillow. I've had much less expensive pillows last 20 years. Terrible company, terrible product.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I will never purchase or do business with this company ever again. They take your money with your order and tell you the product will be in next week. Next week comes it's still not in. 2 weeks go by and the order still doesn't come in. When you call the store they have all kinds of excuses and tell me they have no control of when the product will arrive. They won't refund your money or work with you in any way. They are rude. I will never do business here again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

The warranty process is a scam and waste of time. I followed the online process, sent pictures and the issue with my mattress. I received an email back with care instructions, a damn coupon and a letter stating that unless there is more than 1 1/2 inch sag my mattress is fine. Really?? You can tell me that by looking at a picture? You can feel the holes? The downward position my neck is in? The bunching of the pillow top all through a picture? So I spend $1000 on a mattress that is sagging, has holes, bunching and isn't even a year old? I did the process and got nowhere so I'm going to the local news stations, and Better Business Bureau! Don't spend your money here!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I purchased the top of the line power frame for approximately 2,000 dollars and within 2 weeks it was already broken. Now I’m in the process of trying to get a representative from the warranty department to come out and fix it. Don't waste your money on the power base.

Mattress Firm expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1986, the retailer Mattress Firm is committed to providing sleep solutions that will help their customers live healthier and sleep better. Consumers can shop Mattress Firm online or at one of their 2000 locations across the United States.

• Selection: Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses, so consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of their showrooms.

• Special financing available: Financing offers are always available, and they can include zero percent APR for up to five years for qualifying consumers. Check with your local Mattress Firm to find out what financing options and specials they currently have.

• 90-day payment option with no credit required: Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Adjustable beds: In addition to selling mattresses from top brands, Mattress Firm also sells adjustable beds with additional features like massage and wireless control.

• Commercial sales: Mattress Firm can assist you with your commercial sales, whether you’re a school, hospital, government agency, interior decorator, hotel operator or other business that needs to buy mattresses in bulk.

• Best for: Mattress Firm is best for commercial sales and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
      Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information