3.65/5
Based on 1,364 ratings submitted in the last year

Need a good mattress?

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

View More View More

Need a good mattress?

2648 Mattress Firm Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Given Mattress Firm's proximity to our house, we decided to purchase from them and, over a couple of days, we bought three mattresses. We like two of them. We got one of them for my aunt and we picked what we thought would be okay for her because she was not able to get to the store. However, it was a little too soft. She's 90 and she has difficulty getting out of the bed just because it is a little too soft.

However, it was the attitude of the salesman as far as follow-up care and his concern that we found distasteful. Initially, our experience dealing with them was good, but there were some issues with the delivery and that was where things became a little difficult. The issue was that one box spring wound up having some holes in it. It looked like when the men grabbed the box spring and brought it in, their thumbs went through the fabric. It was some little scrape, which is not a big deal, but I'm buying something new and I don't expect something that I'm buying new to be already having some damage to it. So they took pictures and asked me to just accept it, then call the store and make an arrangement for a replacement, which we did.

The salesman was upset that we accepted the mattress. We should have rejected it because it would cost him more money to send out a replacement. He arranged for another one to be delivered but the stitching was completely off on that one. It was horrible. It was like they did not look at the mattress from a QA's perspective at all. We wound up rejecting that one and they took it back. Eventually, we got the third box spring as what we finally had. From a sales perspective though, the salesman was good. But because there was some quality issue, I would just suggest that they make sure at the time of delivery that everything is okay.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Mattress Firm was set up at the Indiana state fair and there were 20 chairs out there. We would always go in there almost every morning and try out the chairs. But one time, I felt like I needed to be pulled apart and I wanna be stretched. The reps demoed the chair, I sat in it and the game was over. The massage chair pulled me or extended me and it was just the feeling that I wanted. It was hard to spend five grand on a chair but I fell in love with it and I bought it there at the fair.

Their chair that sold itself. But the reps were good and they helped out. They were both phenomenal and informative. They knew their job and they did it well. They told me when the chair would be in and they texted me when it got in the store and when it would be shipped. They followed through on everything just like they said and I was very pleased. I had to wait for four or five weeks more for the delivery of the chair I wanted because they were out of stock. But it was in about the timeframe that they said it would be. The guys who delivered and helped set up the chair were really cool and awesome. They were very nice and polite, and they did everything I said. I own my business and I like feedback, good or bad or ugly. I had to help the guys out with setting it up. They may have tried to cut corners and I corrected them on a few things, but other than that, the guys were perfect.

I absolutely love the massage chair. As long as the damn thing doesn't break in a couple of months, it's gonna be perfect. We have been to a Mattress Firm up on the north side of Indianapolis and got our mattress about ten months ago. The guy there was awesome and the people at Mattress Firm have been great. I would recommend Mattress Firm to anybody looking to go somewhere for a mattress or a massage chair.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

My son was coming home for a week and asked if I wasn't getting a new bed. Then my sister was also coming with her boyfriend and somebody else was gonna come. We bought a bed somewhere and went down to Mattress Firm to get the mattress. They are local and their pricing was in the ballpark. The guy made us a deal and gave us a plush, which was a return. He said that they get them cleaned like the hotels get them cleaned. It worked for the spare room that we weren't gonna be sleeping in.

Then, for the last two months, I've been in crutches with a lumbar issue that has turned sciatic. I ended up over in the spare room so my wife could get some sleep. I went to a chiropractor and brought up the mattress thing. The chiropractor said to get myself a firm mattress. At Labor Day, we were down at Mattress Firm and bought a firm mattress for my back. Unbeknownst to us, a friend walked in behind us and bought one of the beds that we passed on. Everybody was off at Mattress Firm and I felt bad for the people. They were there for hours, but they were good people. We could not antagonize them that much and they wouldn't budge. They had smiles on their faces and were answering questions. They were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

The second mattress was a little too firm. I have terrible nights, so I have different mattresses and neither one gets me through the night. However, my wife thinks that both mattresses are so much better than the old one we got rid of. She goes back and forth with me and sleeps well in both of them. We will tweak the firm mattress and put our old two-inch topper on it and see if I can get a little better sleep. All in all, we had a great experience with Mattress Firm. It's one of the places that you have to go in order to make your decision. I would tell friends that they would be doing themselves a disservice if they did not at least walk in Mattress Firm's door, look around, and talk with them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

When we moved last year from Hawaii to Washington State, there happened to be a Mattress Firm right down the street. It seemed like a solid company, so we went in and bought one of their mattresses after we tested it. We bought a queen one to go on our guest room. Then we replaced our other queen bed and we got a king. My husband and I needed to move across the country for a short period of time in Maryland and we needed a new bed because we set up a new household there. So we bought a queen. Then, my father in-law came to visit, so we needed another bed for our guest room and we bought another queen.

The sales rep listened and answered our questions. They didn’t seem pushy or trying to sell one over another. They asked for the reason and purpose for the bed and fit us to that. Our two guest room mattresses were for people that are a lot older. So it was important to make sure that the mattresses were good for people who are elderly. We have had the standard type of bed for a lot of years, so we went in and asked for one. All the beds that we purchased have all been very similar except for the king which was a little bit different.

Our place in Maryland is in a town called Aberdeen and there’s a very small military base. It was very specific being able to get inside the base. When they delivered, their driver had all their paperwork in order, made sure that everybody that was coming through the base had their IDs and paperwork ready. Mattress Firm had all their stuff together and we were able to have two experiences in one day. One was durable and the other one was very nice. I like that there is an actual warranty, although you can bring it home and try it out in an extensive amount of time. If you don’t like it, you can always bring it back and figure out another one that you like and they would re-deliver. For a mattress, that’s pretty cool, but then you couldn’t tell if it was a brand new bed because it has already been used and brought back. I’ve talked to people about Mattress Firm and recommended them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I cannot thank ** at the 5201 S. Tamiami Trail store in Sarasota, Florida, enough for what he did for my mother and me. We moved here and our belongings were delayed, so we needed to buy beds unexpectedly and ** was a Godsend. Everything he represented to us about what he sold to us has proven to be true and we are so thankful. We knew what we had prior to our move and we loved our mattresses, so we knew what we wanted and ** knew how to guide us. He was knowledgeable and accommodating.

Lately, I've been feeling like I get less respect as a female consumer, but I did NOT feel that way AT ALL with **. He was so respectful to my mother and me and he was kind in listening and understanding our needs in a mattress. Additionally, he helped us get everything quicker given we had nothing to sleep on. My mother has been a Registered Nurse for 42 years and I wanted her to be able to rest her hardworking bones on a good mattress, so ** efforts were more appreciated than I can express in words.

** also steered us toward an adjustable base when we walked in intending to buy box springs. He was not pushy about it, which we appreciated, but he educated us about the bases given we did not know about them. **, knowing that we did not expect to have to spend money on beds, also told us that Mattress Firm was offering those bases for free. Thank God he did because my mom's back went out a few days ago and that adjustable base was a HUGE help in getting her on her feet and on the road to feeling better!

** clearly understands how to provide excellent customer service in a time when I often do not feel that way as a consumer, so I am extremely grateful that ** was working the night we found ourselves at your store. We took so much time that we ended up in the store after closing and we rushed ourselves out toward the end because ** never once made us feel rushed or like a bother. He just helped us because I think, based on everything he did for us, he's a good man. We called ** to ask him a question a few days after our purchase and he was just as nice as he had been in the store and he seemed happy to speak to us and help answer our question!

This was our first experience with Mattress Firm, but we'll be back and recommend you to everyone we know who's in the market for a bed! I cannot thank you and ** enough. Please reward him for not just a job well done, but for those little something extras that make customers feel valued and happy with their purchases. You are very lucky to have ** representing your company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Purchased Two Twin XL Beautyrest Hybrid Jennings from Mattress Firm along with two adjustable bases plus the sheets & pillow bundle. Spent in the high four figures. Had researched mattresses online, looked at return policy & length of trial period. Have arthritis & fibromyalgia & always sought out quality mattresses. Prior to purchasing the Hybrid Jennings Beautyrest I had a Tempur-Pedic. Decided I would try something a little different. You have to sleep on a mattress for over 30 days to even know if it is right for you. In fact 60-90 days is even better. So when Mattress Firm told me they have an 120 Night Sleep Trial period I thought that was great UNTIL I wanted to exchange my mattresses for a different mattress.

No problem, right?! As long as I paid the $79.99 delivery fee which I could understand PLUS an additional 10% of the price of EACH MATTRESS which they called a restocking fee. Although they told me that they wouldn't be able to sell the mattresses I had so what are they restocking?! Bottom line is if I came out of pocket approximately $600 plus I can get two new Twin XLs of my choice. Bases are not returnable which I found was customary across the board. In short be aware of the fine print & make sure you understand the return or exchange policy of any company you deal with. I trust my high four figure Twin XL beds will please me in the near future for I learned a valuable lesson!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

The company has left me sleeping on the floor last night. They brought a damaged mattress and promised one this morning and now they are saying I can't get it today or not even tomorrow. I'm 72 years old and you're asking me to spend another night on the floor. I purchase this online at your website. I spent 2 days and about 5 hours been told different stories or lies. I would highly not recommend buy from this company.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I purchased a Beautyrest Resonance mattress from Mattress Firm. The mattress was plush and soft in the store. The mattress I received was very firm and felt like it was of lower quality. I had to pay a 20% restocking fee to return the mattress. I also had to pay a $100 fee to have the mattress picked up at my home because the company will not let you return the mattress at the store where it was purchased. I feel like they used a bait and switch tactic with the mattress and their return policy is set up to prevent the consumer from returning a mattress without incurring a large financial loss. In my case, I lost almost $400. I would not recommend Mattress Firm.

Original review: July 2, 2019

SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE! SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE! I purchased a mattress after explaining to the salesman I have back problems and I'm a side sleeper. They assist me in choosing a mattress and send me on my way. They delivered the mattress and for the next few weeks all I experienced was extreme discomfort anytime I laid down on the mattress. Anytime I contacted them they would tell me to give it time or to take the mattress to the floor and jump on it to help soften it up. The defective mattress has a comfort level just short of a cinderblock. This is not what I paid for and now they are trying to resell me on another mattress! Save your money, time, comfort, and sanity and shop somewhere else! Mattress Firm are a bunch of thieves! Don't be fooled by the 5 stars! They convince you to write a review while you're sitting at the desk finishing up the sale.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I bought a mattress in December 2018. Today July 1 2019 the mattress has been sagging on one side. The mattress has a 10 year warranty. I called the store where I bought it and was told to get in touch with customer service. I called and through their automated menu, wasn't able to reach a person to talk to. Instead I was referred to the automated warranty claims. I would have to remove the mattress, box springs, take pictures of the government tag on the mattress, the metal frame and the box springs. Upload all the pictures to their website OR PAY 79.00 DOLLARS AND HAVE SOMEONE OUT AND DO THE INSPECTION. This has been not worth the trouble this has caused. This isn't possible since I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income.

Mattress Firm expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1986, the retailer Mattress Firm is committed to providing sleep solutions that will help their customers live healthier and sleep better. Consumers can shop Mattress Firm online or at one of their 2000 locations across the United States.

• Selection: Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses, so consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of their showrooms.

• Special financing available: Financing offers are always available, and they can include zero percent APR for up to five years for qualifying consumers. Check with your local Mattress Firm to find out what financing options and specials they currently have.

• 90-day payment option with no credit required: Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Adjustable beds: In addition to selling mattresses from top brands, Mattress Firm also sells adjustable beds with additional features like massage and wireless control.

• Commercial sales: Mattress Firm can assist you with your commercial sales, whether you’re a school, hospital, government agency, interior decorator, hotel operator or other business that needs to buy mattresses in bulk.

• Best for: Mattress Firm is best for commercial sales and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
      Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information