3.75/5
Based on 1,010 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

Mattress Firm Video
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 21, 2017

1614 Mattress Firm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Mattress Firm has nice and friendly service. Their prices were cheaper or right in the ballpark from what I had been looking at, so that’s why I bought a queen pillow top from them. Their representative was very friendly. He knew his product and I wasn’t pressured at all. Also, their delivery crew was prompt. They even put on their little booties, walked in, delivered the item and took away the old one. I was very pleased. It was a very good experience and I’d buy again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Just bought a mattress from Marc in the Sunrise store. He made it a very pleasant experience. He was very professional, knowledgeable and easy to deal with. The delivery guys even came a half hour early. Great company. Great guy!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I got the Supreme Contour by Tempur-Pedic from Mattress Firm which was a king size. They had the best price for the mattress that I was looking for and their sales rep was really good, kind and helpful. He answered all the questions and offered me other discounts for the other products since I was purchasing the mattress there, so I got two pillows. Their delivery team also came in on time, let me know ahead of time when they were coming and got the job done.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We bought from Mattress Firm five years ago, and we got from them a Tempur-Pedic recently. Mattress Firm has a great customer service and good people to deal with. It was a very good experience with their representative, and the manager at the store, Elaine, was wonderful and helped us a lot. I'm very satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Bought 2 NEW mattress sets in Orland Park, IL. They delivered a used mattress!!? Not at all what I believed I was purchasing, salesperson did not say it was used. Said he was price matching the other store we went to! I would never buy a used mattress! It was never explained or expressed as a used product. Spoke with store manager, area manager and store associate and was told different things by each. Store manager said we had 3 options to resolve the issue, to keep it, return it, or pay more for a new one. We then received a call from sales associate and based on the $600 more he said I'd need to pay. I told him to just return everything.

Next morning area manager says, "It was a misunderstanding. You can't return the used mattress for refund because it was bought used!" I did not intend to buy a used product, I was buying a new set!!! It was conveyed by salesperson as a price match! How am I being penalized for the sales associate's incompetence? I DO NOT WANT A USED MATTRESS!! I feel like the salesperson pulled a bait and switch tactic to get the sale.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I purchased a Serta foam mattress, the memory foam and the cooling foam from Mattress Firm. I like their comfort guarantee, and their prices are good. Also, the rep was fine. He was knowledgeable and he knew what he was doing. He gave me all the time that I needed. He also didn't try to push me. My overall experience with Mattress Firm was definitely enjoyable.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We rushed to the closest mattress store after damage to our winter condo. We bought a mattress (no complaint so far) but the store manager charged us three times. He made a mistake with his software but the Mattress Firm program allowed three charges for the same transaction to go through. The local store guy is helpless and THERE IS NO WAY TO GET MATTRESS FIRM CORPORATE to answer the phone. BBB gives them a bum rap. If I do not get the extra charges dropped I will file a claim with Illinois Consumer Fraud.

Hello Vincent,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. We would like to address your concerns and will have a specialist assigned to your case reach out to you for further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I had a previous bed before the Hurricane Harvey hit and my mattress got destroyed. I liked my mattress and Mattress Firm said that I could get a similar deal to what I had before. So, I went back and I got aid in better maximizing it. I purchased a white hybrid mattress with blue spots on it. The reps at the store were professional and the delivery was quick and easy. My bed frame was already there and they just dropped the box-spring under the mattress, set it up, and made me check to make sure everything was good to go. I’m satisfied with Mattress Firm. And I am able to get proper sleep because of the quality of the mattress.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

The best mattress buying experience in 30 years. The store was inviting, clean and organized. Kyle greeted me promptly and listened carefully to what I needed. I was shown what I had asked for in the price range I was comfortable with and my time was not wasted seeing other products. The paperwork was quick and easy and I was out in 20 minutes. Kyle deserves kudos. The delivery personnel were very professional. They were friendly and helpful and deserve a 10 out of 10. I'm loving the mattress. It's so soft and comfortable. I will be back to Mattress Firm and ask for Kyle for my next mattress purchase.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My husband and I purchased a Serta I Comfort Visionary mattress and box spring set in August 2014 and in less than 3 three years noticed that the mattress was sagging in the middle by almost 4". I filed an online claim and was told it was denied because the foundation support did not meet the manufacturer's requirements. We purchased the set from Sleepy's and were told nothing about replacing the foundation just the box spring to meet warranty requirements. The set was delivered and installed by Sleepy's and during that time also we were told nothing about the foundation not meeting manufacturers recommendations. In fact we weren't even given the warranty information. Mattress Firm who took over Sleepy's will not accept any responsibility for the sagging mattress and boxspring.

Now as a consumer who is not an expert on beds I rely on the advice of the firms representative to make a purchase. If I had been advised of the requirements I would have purchased a foundation that met the manufacturer's warranty. Even the installers should have the knowledge to advise a consumer that the delivery and set up cannot be completed as the foundation would void the warranty. The first I ever heard of a change in the foundation/frame requirements for mattresses was from the Mattress firm customer representative I spoke to today. Now isn't this important information that a store salesman should be aware of and advise his customers of? especially as the consumer is looking for their expertise for such an important and expensive purchase?

So after just 3 years my husband and I are left with sore backs, necks and shoulders, sleepless nights and all because of a useless bed set that we paid over $2000 for and the only thing Mattress Firm can offer is a 20% coupon off a new purchase. Really! Quite honestly I am so disappointed that I regret ever having shopped at Sleepy's (Mattress Firm) and am unlikely to ever shop at any of their stores for myself or other members of my family or recommend them to anyone that I know.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My back hurt really bad and my sister-in-law bought a twin bed from Mattress Firm. It's a firm mattress set with the frame and I liked it. It wasn't the cheapest one they had but it wasn't in the store so they had to order it. My sister-in-law bought one of the foam ones but it was too soft. She replaced the mattress and now she likes it versus a movable bottom to it The guy who sold the bed was very nice and helpful as well as the guys who delivered it. So far, our experience has been good. We're happy customers.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

It is bad enough I had to wait a whole day for them to deliver what I ordered while they can after 8 pm, the customers services was rude and I paid for them to removed it which the driver refused to. I will tell anyone not to use your garbage company.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Waiting on the "Love your Mattress Guarantee" - I spent 45 minutes unmaking and tearing apart my bed to take multiple pictures so I could file a claim. How Mattress Firm can accurately assess the quality of this mattress based on me unmaking my bed and using a paper measurer and a broomstick is a mystery to me? The issue is sinking deep into the bed when we lay down and feeling springs. This does not seem right based on the cost of this product. I was not pleased with this mattress since the beginning but was going to give it the 120 days the store told me I had (and suggested I give it), in case it needed to be broken in. When I called to return it they said it was only a 100-day guarantee (as stamped on my paperwork), however when we bought it, they told us even though it was stamped with 100 days, it was changing to 120 days and that was our return time.

Well the store did not honor that and now I am stuck with an awful and expensive mattress. Also, when I called my salesman and told him it was uncomfortable and I felt springs in my back and side he told me that the mattress I bought was not made with springs so I should not feel them, however when I told a different sales associate this a couple of weeks ago he told me my mattress does have springs?! I purchased a Beautyrest Black Hybrid Alcove mattress and Beautyrest usually has good products. I have also NEVER considered returning a mattress, so this is not something I typically do, nor want to be inconvenienced to do, but this mattress is just that bad. My husband and I actually prefer to sleep on our 5-year-old's twin mattress that was $400 vs our $2500 king bed! Please help!

Dear Megan ,

We apologize if you have experienced any complications with your recent purchase. A specialist has been assigned to your account and will follow up with you for further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

While at the LA county Fair my husband and decided to look at a Mattress at the Mattress firm booth. We were looking to buy but were not ready to make an immediate decision. Mitchell who said he was a “manager” told us all the amazing deals and benefits we would receive. It sounded Great! So we proceeded to get a QUOTE. While in the process my mother was with us and wanted to “try” completely not in the market. She was ok to see if any clearance mattresses fit her needs. She gave Mitchell her information as well and agreed to get a quote on something he found and would contact her the next day. Mitchell never contacted us back, ran ALL of our credits, opened a credit card and scheduled a bed to be delivered in my mother’s name. We did not sign anything. We did not approve anything. He ducked our calls and text messages never to be heard from again.

My mother received no compassion from Mattress Firm, yet with much persistence got her issue handled and the delivery canceled. A month later my husband and I decided to just walk into a Mattress Firm as we never had the chance to see all they had to offer. Found our mattress in the store, with adjustable base... The store manager quoted us at $2000 LESS!!! What a rip off from the fair. Definitely cannot trust Mattress Firm and their employees. We love the Mattress but Cannot trust the company.

Mallory,

We apologize if you have experienced any complications. We are here to help! A Specialist will review your account and contact you for further assistance.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Salesperson Pattie was very rude to me. I had wanted to return the mattress and adjustable base after 30 days, she insisted I keep it for 90 days and then came up with 120 days. By this time I was miserable and fed up. I went to the store Pattie was on vacation and I talked to sales person Jules. Who informed me I could swap out the mattress. She let me to a mattress, I told her it was too flat. She insisted it would be perfect for me to try it. I did. I called her back and told her this mattress will not work for me.

I went into the store spoke to Jules and she said I could get full refund. Follow up spoke to Brittany at same Trussville store. Asked her about returning mattress. She told me to SHUT UP AND LISTEN and let her tell me what she can do for me. I listened and was very insulted by what she did. I request someone from Mattress Firm Headquarters to contact me. I am very dissatisfied and will tell everyone about this situation on social media.

Dear Deborah,

We truly apologize for your dissatisfaction. We are here to help. A specialist will follow up with you to address your relayed concerns. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I ordered a mattress and bed frame online. The mattress is fine however the bed frame does not work with the headboard. I called to inquire about returning the frame and was told that frames are considered accessories and are non-returnable. How was I supposed to know this? They will take mattresses back but not a frame that was delivered less than 3 days ago?? Their policies seem to be outdated and not clearly communicated to the consumer.

Dear Nicole,

We regret any inconvenience you may have encountered. A specialist will be assigned to your case and contact you for further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I purchased a mattress and when it arrived it was damaged. I worked with the local salesperson and he arranged an exchange. The replacement was soiled. Again I waited for the exchange. The third replacement again was damaged. There was a seam protruding on one side of the mattress making it feel lumpy. The salesman arranged the complete return. This went on and on for several weeks. Each time I waited for the process to work itself out hopeful all would work out. I was more than patient thinking this would be handled professionally.

However, while I worked internally with the salesperson and I had not realized the several returns would not be transacted over a register. By not processing my returns promptly it appeared I was not making payment for the mattress and it was negatively reporting on my credit report. This is totally unfair and now I have to deal with getting the negative information removed. It is such a waste of time working through this when I patiently waited for weeks to straighten this out. This never should have happened when the company markets themselves as having the highest degree of customer service.

Dear Susan ,

We apologize if you have experienced any complications with your mattress. We were able to locate your account and will have specialist reach out to you for further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I am a 76 year old male with diabetes and end stage kidney failure. I do in home dialysis and have to wake up twice a night to drain correctly. Therefore when I can sleep it is very important that it is a quality that's very important to me. We had a very old mattress that needed to be replaced so we went to the 28th street store in Grand Rapids to get a new mattress. Things went well and we laid down on a bunch of mattresses. Since I'm on a fixed income we live paycheck to paycheck. Since I'm a bit overweight the sales rep recommended a memory foam mattress and he had a floor model Tempur-Pedic that would be ideal for us. I got to lay down on it for a couple of minutes and it seemed like it would fill the bill. Then the salesman said the only thing wrong with the floor sample was it was a no return sale. We felt that with Mattress Firm's good reputation we'd be fine. How wrong I was.

After sleeping on our new mattress for a two weeks I was waking up with aches and pains in my back and sides. I was feeling worse than I did with the old mattress. I called my salesperson and the most I got from him was that I was wasting my time talking to him and talk to Tempur-Pedic. I didn't have much luck with them. The mattress is getting worse rapidly. I personally think the mattress you sold me should have been taken to the dump and not sold to anyone. About 14 or so inches along both edges are softer than the center of the mattress and keeps pulling us down onto the area with little or no support. We paid $1000.00 for this mattress and it is making us feel worse than ever. We've tried everything to make it work but don't know where to go from here. I feel this sale was below the standards for Mattress Firm.

Dear Robert,

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Mattress firm really needs to re-evaluate who they are using to deliver their Mattresses. Initially I was planning to pick up the mattress but was talked out of it by our salesman, weight, difficulty moving, etc. The first mattress they ripped a small hole in and said they would replace it. Second delivery they brought a mattress that was so contorted nobody could possibly sleep on it, but the movers (who spoke little English) said it would flatten in 2 hours. 4 hours later it's just as bad, Mattress Firm can do nothing until the truck checks back in (24-48 hours) to get ANOTHER mattress sent out. At this point we have nothing to sleep on, they wouldn't even bring back the one they took earlier that morning. Terrible. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

H&R Copperleaf luxury firm mattress - Well where do I begin? The first mattress set delivered had the dust ruffle hanging down to the floor. The suggestion I received was to "just glue or staple" it. The second problem was hearing noises getting in and out of bed, like defective springs sound. I got the set swapped out soon after that. I am on the second mattress set now and after a bit of break-in time the sides have no support and no matter where you sleep you sink into the mattress making for a very uncomfortable sleep. Very dissatisfied with this purchase. I will be contacting the store today for a complete return today so I will be able to buy a quality mattress set. I think this will be my one and only time purchasing a mattress from Mattress Firm.

Hello Phillip,

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I purchased my mattress at a promotion through OC fair. At the time of the purchase they said they would give me a great discount and my pillows and sheets would be thrown in there for free. I received a bill for almost $7000 which include $700 of pillows and sheet set. Who pays that much and I didn't even want it in the first place? I refused shipment and returned that to sender. At which juncture I tried to contact the salesperson to ask questions on my bill to no avail. Each time I would contact the 1-800 number and all they said was they would email my salesperson.

This went on for four separate times within last two months! Then I attempted to send a written letter to Mattress Firm in San Diego which was address written on my order. After five separate attempts and no response I am perturbed. My bed is still uncomfortable, the service stinks and now all I want to do is return everything! As stated I have 180 days trial with return 100% money back. Please contact me. I would not prefer to talk or work with the salesperson who has not contacted me.

Dear Julie,

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My old mattress was really messed up and was hard. Mattress Firm is more comfortable and I sleep a lot better on it. I don't snore and toss as much, so that's good. But when I got my mattress, the box spring was messed up. Mattress Firm did a good job replacing it quickly so everything went smoothly. They did great and I appreciated their service. I'm happy with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Purchased a mattress on 10/22/17 with a delivery date of 10/27/17, took the day off from work only to find out that there would be no delivery, I had to call as no one from the company had the courtesy to call me. After many phone calls another delivery date was set for 11/1/17, with another day off. And lo and behold the same non-delivery with the same no call from Mattress Firm. The sales associates involved were Nathan ** and Katie **. I was able to reach Nathan who was no help and Katie was unreachable either by phone or her preferred method text.

There seems to be no one reachable or accountable at Mattress Firm, they want to reschedule delivery for 11/3/17. I am reluctant unless I can speak with someone who can put their hands on the mattress - so far Mattress Firm has not been able to locate such a person? Customer Service can answer the phone but are unable to do anything else. Waiting to see what happens next?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I was just passing by and popped in at Mattress Firm and I eventually bought two mattresses, a king and a queen. The salesman was good. However, I left right away and have been out of town for over two weeks so I haven't had the chance to experience the mattresses after delivery.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Purchased this mattress (Simmons Beautyrest Ashaway) 10/23/2015. Within a matter of months it was all sunk in at the head of the mattress and the center also. Contacted Mattress Firm and it was replaced 7/30/2016. Within a few months it has happened again. So disgusted. Simmons has been around for years and I think they make one quality of mattress to sell at Mattress Firm to sell for less and a better quality sold in furniture stores for instance. I wish I would have done my homework before buying from them. I have never had such a poor quality of mattress in my 57 yrs of life.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I am so very upset and sick about this. My salesman was great. However when it came to explaining about the non refundable returnable mattress base he seemed to omit some VERY important information. We purchased an adjustable base and mattress and absolutely hate both of them! We spent a lot of time with the salesman and mattress playing with all the features and the salesman explained that if we were unhappy we can return it within 120 days. Just give the mattress 30 days which we did.

Found out 30 days later that we can return the mattress but cannot return the base which is $3600!!! Why wouldn't they point that out when I was signing all the paperwork? He made it sound like I could return the whole thing the day we purchased but now when I call to return the whole thing he brings up the FINE PRINT!!! Seriously would have reconsidered the whole purchase if I knew then and there that I couldn't return a $3600 item! I really wished I liked this thing and now I am totally stuck with it.

So please make sure that if you purchase anything from them or any bed store that you read the fine print and ASK your salesman if everything is returnable. Make them say it! Do not trust them! I will never trust Mattress Firm now which I have purchased from in the past. I will tell everyone to avoid them because their salesmen do not tell you everything you need to know especially when you are trying to invest in over $9000. Instead you will hear that it's in the fine print and it's an industry standard. So you're stuck with it! Never again!

Hello Traci,

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I bought two full-size mattresses, a queen and a king, and a queen box spring from Mattress Firm. But it wasn't all at the same time. Both reps that I’ve dealt with were very nice, helpful and were really quick. I picked out my mattresses and they rang me up really quick. The first guy had to make changes to the mattress delivery and he was incredibly helpful with that. So, it was a really great experience.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We went by Mattress Firm and seeing it, we stopped. The sales rep was nice and professional. We purchased a gray queen-sized mattress and box spring. It's good and I liked it. I'm sleeping better too.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I purchased a full size set and a queen mattress during the Labor Day sale and did not receive any discount {per the Labor Day sale signs} nor did I ever receive my 2 free pillows. I have spoken to everyone without satisfaction. Even a supervisor didn't help. Please help.

Hello Jean,

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I purchased a mattress in August and had to return cause was too hot. I returned and purchased a Serta 300 and was so pleased with it and the customer service from the sales clerk Andre. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. I really appreciated the time he took with me and led me to the right mattress. I am so pleased with the new one. Thanks!

Mattress Firm Company Information