2. Homeowners
  3. Mattress Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.99/5

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

Mattress Firm Shop Now

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2020

Shop Now

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2020

Mattress Firm Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: June 18, 2020

Salesman who was also manager of store, according to him, took time to show me the adjustable bases & sales mattresses. The Memorial day sale was extended. I presume because of pandemic not many people out shopping. Anyway: made my purchase & the warranties & since items were in stock delivery was to be in couple days. Well gentlemen came; brought in new frame/mattress & removed my old mattress/box spring. Thus far all is well.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Nice mattresses, comfortable, and the staff is friendly. However their payment plans are unrealistic during this pandemic and just a little pricey. What I like for us 1. Quality of comfort of a mattress. 2. The quality in which it is made and the style such as memory foam or pillow top. 3. Price, I guess this should be number 1. 4. Financing or payment plan options. 5. Promotions. Number 3 and 4 are just not in time with today's living standards.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I think my all foam mattress is lovely. It can get warm, but I wake up with no body aches. I fell for a trick in the show room. I was told it had "cooling gel" and when we laid on it, it was cool. It was also under the a/c vent in the showroom. We bought it, but it is still warm and my husband still sweats. We bought a cover for it and sheets through the same store. They are lovely as well, and perhaps the cover is why we don't get any feeling of "cooling gel". It is still the best purchase, and interest free financing is lovely.

Original review: May 4, 2020

The store was closing which I knew walking in and the sales rep made no bones about it, even took time to explain why they were closing locations. He managed to talk me into a better bed that was on a huge discount instead of making me go cheap and return in two years. He gave me his new location as well if I had any questions and made sure when they took my old mattress, they took both. He wasn't looking for sales to beg to keep open, he was looking to get people into a good night's sleep.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I walked in with a rough idea of what I'd end up with but ended up with what I WANTED! I was amazed the sales representative knew I really wanted the mattress in the other aisle! Of course, it may have been she caught me side-eyeing my "dream mattress" lol. She walked over to her desk, making sure to walk by my WANT. When I realized, by catching a glimpse of the sales tag, I could afford it was a moment unlike any purchase before! I had my dream mattress delivered 1 day later at no charge.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

First the website wouldn't process my order, nothing wrong with my card I called and checked. Then once it finally gets processed they tell me 2-3 days delivery. 3 days later I'm told 7-10 days. Now today, the next day, I'm told 10-14 days. I asked for to cancel my order and to be refunded my money. Once the order was canceled they then told me that the refund would take 10-14 days. This company is horribly mismanaged, unorganized, and the customer service is clueless once you actually get to talk to somebody. I would rate this experience as being on my top 10 list of biggest mistakes I ever made. Don't make the same, support the smaller family businesses like I will in 10-14 days.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

MATTRESS FIRM IS A WASTE OF TIME. Do NOT purchase a SINGLE thing from this useless company and their “gotcha” tactics. They deliver a bed, claim there’s a 21-day return policy, and when I want to return it because the bed is NOT firm as they claim, I call the number, but the number tells you to go online and use the chat. There’s no way to connect to an actual agent on the phone. Even when you try to select another option that connects you to an agent, it tells you that they have no access to current orders (which should tell you how often people are wanting to return or ask about their product). So when I go to chat, every single time, without fail, there is no agent available to chat with. Then it points to requesting service by providing your email your phone number, etc.

Once I do get an emailed response, it tells me they can EXCHANGE (NOT return) the bed for MORE than it costs PLUS 20% restocking fee. What kind of business do these idiots run? I replied but got no response, and you’re just stuck with a crappy purchase. SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE AND JUST GET AN IKEA PURCHASE; these buffoons are not worth the blatant disrespect.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

As we were shopping for a mattress, the salesperson would never tell us exactly how much something would cost and was vague about details. We came to like a model that would cost over 10,000.00. We wanted to think about it overnight but were told the deal was only good for the night. It was stated that we were getting a special deal as the sale was already over but the signs weren't down so they would honor it. We felt pressured to put down a deposit--which we were assured we could get back the next day if we weren't prepared yet to buy the bed. We paid the deposit with a check. I specifically asked if I would be able to get the deposit back the next day if we still needed time to think.

The next morning I went back to the store to tell them we still needed time to think about spending 10,000 on this bed. My check was there in the drawer but they wouldn't give it back to me. The manager had it is in hand---but said he needed approval to give it to me. He called his boss who didn't answer the phone and then he called the big boss. They said they would get right back to him. After a few hours, the manager of the store called me to say they could not give me the check back, they would have to cash it and then I would get a refund in 20 or so days. Sad to say--we were going to buy that bed from Mattress Firm---but no more. I will never spend a dime in a Mattress Firm store again.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

January 2008 I bought two Sleepy's mattresses king-size. Within a year and a half they both came apart around the edge. Warranty department will not warranty it. I fight with them for months. They nit and pick at every little detail to try to void the warranty. Comes down to it I have a platform bed. You don’t need a boxspring. That’s how they void The warranty. They say I have to have a boxspring underneath the mattress if not the warranty is voided. Do not buy from Mattress Firm. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I ordered a mattress and adjustable base from Mattress Firm. It was to be delivered on 12/26. According to tracking, it was delivered that day. It was not delivered. Now the delivery date has changed to 1/15/21. I got rid of the bed we had because I expected it to be delivered, now I have no bed for my mom who is about to be released from the hospital. I went to a local Mattress Firm store and the rep tried to help me. He made several calls trying to get the bed from another warehouse. (I would have given 1 star but gave 2 stars because of this individual.) I don't understand how I can get a date and 2-hour window for delivery, then I am told I have to wait 3 more weeks because it is not available. Where is my merchandise? No one can tell me what happened. In the meantime, I have no bed for a sick parent.

Mattress Firm author review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Mattress Firm customers can browse at over 3,000 retail stores or online. Financing options with convenient monthly payments are available. Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Mattress pricing: Queen mattresses start at around $300.

• Types of mattresses: Select from innerspring, memory foam, hybrid, encased coil, gel memory foam or pillow-top mattresses from several manufacturers. Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses; consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of its showrooms.

• Trial period: Customers enjoy a 120-night sleep trial period.

• Warranty: Warranties vary by manufacturer.

• Additional products: Beds, frames, bedding and pillows are also available. Mattress Firm also assists with commercial sales for schools, hospitals, government agencies, interior decorators or other businesses that need to buy mattresses in bulk.

by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information