3.61/5
Based on 1,206 ratings submitted in the last year

Need a good mattress?

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

View More View More

Need a good mattress?

Mattress Firm Reviews

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I brought mattress and adjustable bed from Mattress Firm. I had to exchange original choice because it broke. I was given this bed that I never see in showrooms and no pricing. My total bill is $3500. Very expensive for a mattress that is beginning to sag and very uncomfortable and a bed that I cannot compare pricing!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We purchased a Beautyrest mattress from Mattress Firm in Glendale, Az ONE year ago. It was $3,000.00. In one year the mattress springs broke down under the pillow top and we could not sleep on the mattress! The inspection was $90.00 to come to our home to fill out a report on the mattress. He said the mattress was way too soft for people with back issues, which we have. He was amazed that it was $3,000.00! Well, Beautyrest and Mattress Firm neither one will do anything about the product which is now in our garage after one year! PLEASE do NOT buy a Beautyrest mattress or buy from MATTRESS FIRM!!! This is a NO customer service store and a NO customer service product!!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I purchased a king size bed with the adjustable base. The sales staff was helpful and courteous as they sell you everything from sheets, to guarantees. By the time my purchase was complete it was near $4,000.00. Within the 120 day time frame I have been thinking if purchasing a king was a mistake for us. Before the time limit was up, my husband went back to the store to talk to the manager and ask if we could exchange our purchase for a queen size. She said she needed to speak to her manager and she would get back to him. When she called back, she said they would exchange the king for the queen at an additional charge of $350.00 for the queen size adjustable frame because the adjustable frame was not on sale but would give me that as a discounted price.

When I purchased the bed they gave us the adjustable base for with the purchase I upgraded to the head and foot so it cost me $350.00. They also were charging an additional $99 for a delivery fee which is in their contract. If I wanted to return the mattress for a refund, they would charge me $99 for a pickup fee plus a 10% restocking fee approximately $250. All I wanted was an exchange from king to queen with an adjusted price from king price to queen price. My experience dealing with Mattress Firm left me very very dissatisfied. I recommend not buying anything from this company. Sorry for us falling victim to this company. Hopefully this will help other buyers to beware and seek other choices.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Worst mattress I have ever had, We purchased Serta iComfort king mattress. Just after 6 months it started to sag so bad that it gave me severe backache. When we measured it was clearly covered within the guidelines of more than 3/4 inch. I am highly disappointed with this mattress and the warranty department, as they didn't take the responsibility of their product but tried to find reasons to void the warranty saying that although we do have center support we needed 5 horizontal slats as well.

We have a standard king size bed from a good furniture store, and that's what they have for all of their king beds. We were never told at the time of purchase that our bed didn't meet the standard for warranty. All they said was king size bed with center support touching floor is good. And now it is another story. I am not doing any business with this company any more. Please think twice before you buy from Mattress Firm, warranty claim department is just a joke, they sincerely don't want to help you.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We purchased a Purple mattress and adjustable base the day after Thanksgiving. It was supposed to be delivered last Saturday (12/1/18). When I didn't hear from them, I called Friday night and was told it wouldn't come until Wednesday. (Note that they didn't call me. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't called.) Since we were getting rid of our old bed (not just the mattress, the whole bed), we got rid of it Tuesday night. I reorganized my work schedule to be home for Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon I get a call that it won't come in until Thursday. I reorganize my schedule again. On Thursday I get a call - "I'm afraid I have bad news..." And the lady can't even tell me when I might get the bed. ("Hopefully over the weekend.")

At this point, we've been sleeping on an air mattress for five nights. And today (Sunday) they say that maybe we will get it on Tuesday. I'm not sure how I will manage that at work, but I guess I have to figure something out. They can't even agree to deliver after 5 pm. The only possible delivery windows are nine to four or three to nine. The people whom I've dealt with have all been very polite and apologetic. I have no complaints about those who are working in the store. I know it's not their fault, but this is ridiculous. My husband is older and this is a *huge* inconvenience. I guess we shouldn't have gotten rid of the old bed, but where would we have put the new one? We don't have that kind of space. And I assumed that after the first delay, we would get a bed. If it doesn't come by Tuesday, I will have to cancel the order and get a bed from someone who will actually deliver one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I paid over $1,000 for a mattress that was supposed to be hand delivered tomorrow. I have the transcripts from when I ordered the mattress which clearly states "Your mattress will be hand delivered on 12/09, and you will receive a call the day before to give you a 2 hour window of delivery." The website also states it will be delivered on 12/9. It is the day before my supposed delivery, and I never received a call about my 2 hour window, so I wrote, and the lady I spoke with said "I'm sorry, but your mattress will not be hand delivered, and you won't receive it on 12/9, nor can I provide you with a delivery date." EXCUSE ME??? I feel completely cheated and lied to. I WANT MY MATTRESS!!! It's crazy because this happened before. I guess I'm twice the fool for believing this company! Ughhhh!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

After less than a year, our Serta mattress developed impression where you sit on edge before getting into bed - put in a warranty claim which was denied, then paid to have "third party" to inspect. Findings were that impression were considered normal. Feel that a $1,000 mattress shouldn't develop dents in such a short time. Also, don't waste your money requesting a second opinion. Hopefully, the mattress will last a few more years before we have to replace it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

They charge for local delivery, give you a 2 hour window the day before, BUT DO NOT HONOR THE TIMEFRAME!!! Negotiate terms that the delivery must be in their window or should be for free. Low quality delivery -- no dispatcher or driver called...

Mattress Firm response

Hi Bob,

We are sorry to hear you are having an issue with your recent purchase. We will have a Customer Relations Representative reach out to you for further assistance

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We purchased a memory foam mattress from Mattress Firm. A really big part of our decision to purchase from them was that we’re remotely located out on Long Island and they're very close to where we live. The sales rep was very friendly and super helpful. He did a nice job and we liked that he wasn’t super high pressure. The product that we got is good and I’m satisfied with it. It was exactly what we thought we were getting. I would recommend that people go to the Mattress Firm store we went to.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We bought something from Mattress Firm in the past. This time, we purchased a mattress and a base for the kids room and the quality is worth it. The sales rep I had was a good guy, too. I like his service and everything was perfect.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had a fine experience with the sales and customer service teams in Mattress Firm. I purchased a queen-sized mattress, and it's working out fine. I'd recommend Mattress Firm. They did a fine job with me.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I buy queen size mattress almost a month ago. I call yesterday to the store cause the mattress is very soft. I work nights so I never sleep in my bed specially this time cause I have a friend visiting me. She was telling me my bed was so soft but cause I laid just a few times I didn't notice. Yesterday I call the place where I buy it. The seller was very nice all the time, easy to change and blablabla. I told her I didn't like the base. I find useless the foot side so I ask very kind if I can just change for the electric head. Immediately said NO even is going to be a month when I buy it. I need help cause I think isn't right to buy something I don't enjoy!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The mattress I ordered was delivered and found to have a large mold stain. The delivery team was apologetic and said I could call to request a new delivery. I didn't think it was a huge deal, these things can happen, but the ensuing experience with customer service in trying to order a new one made the issue a million times worse. It is very hard to get someone one the phone as wait times are routinely 2 hours. I used the online chat service, which although still slow, was faster than calling.

The entire day I tried to get them to schedule a new delivery for tomorrow, but I was repeatedly told to contact customer service later as the warehouse was unavailable. I repeatedly requested to be contacted so I wouldn't have to spend an hour getting in touch with them. One person said they would email me back at a certain time but never did. I was told that having a customer service representative call me to schedule this delivery when they were ready was out of the question as they have too many calls coming in. So I kept having to deal with a new agent each time, waiting on hold and re-explaining everything just to find out when I can request my re-order. If you order from them, you better hope that there are no mistakes. If there are, fixing them could be a never ending series of frustrating customer service calls. This could have easily been a four star review if anyone in the company ever stepped in and made the initial mistake right.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I ordered on the phone Sleepy 12 inches quilted foam gel mattress and they offered promotional free spring box, two pillows and mattress cover. The mattress didn’t extended to 13 inches and I paid the difference (total $ 867.00) and reorder 14 inches same type of mattress. This one inflated just 12 inches, but was enough for my needs. This mattress gave me terrible back pain and I intended to return.

Here we have a SURPRiSE!!! Even I didn’t used the mattress cover and the hard foam pillows, they will not take them back and they will charge their high prices: 10% restocking fee ($86.00), return delivery (?), $199.00 for low profile spring box that I paid to be assemble, $89.00 for each pillow and $79.00 for mattress cover that I bought one from eBay for $21.00. Now, I will get back $244.00 from $855.00 that I paid for queen mattress. Just don’t get excited about 120 days free tria!!! BE AWARE! I preferred to donate the mattress than deal with their business!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I bought a $8,000 massage chair in June at the fair through Mattress Firm. They delivered the chair and one wired remote... but no wireless remote, instruction manual or another equipment that comes with the chair. I have made 3 calls to the salesperson and 4 to customer service. NONE of them returned the call or sent the equipment or followed up. Here is the case # ** they created. This is horrible customer service with a capital H.

Resolution response: Dec. 4, 2018

The company called and resolved my issue. The bed was exchanged and they were very helpful.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My husband purchased the purple bed and I wasn't in love with it at the store but it was ok. A few weeks after using it I realize that my back ached every morning. I am 25 years old and never had a back problem. I decided to sleep on the couch for a week to see if it's possibly the new mattress. Each morning I woke up with no pain from the couch. We decided to exchange the bed for 1 that was more expensive but worked well with my back. The delivery guy came, the room wasn't very bright he took a picture and claimed there was a stain.

I moved the curtain to let the light in and showed him there was no stain there. He agreed but still pointed to his busted phone with half the screen smashed that the stain was on his phone. I took a picture of the same spot on my phone which showed no stain. The bed had no stain but he quickly left and told me to call the store. Now I paid $2600 for a bed that I cannot sleep in and can't exchange because of some old guy's view. I have videos and pictures of the bed on the same day he came with no stain. Even the employees at the store said the picture on the delivery guy's phone is shoddy and wasn't clear. I would like someone in management to contact me regarding this issue because it is beyond ridiculous and unfair.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My delivery was sent out wrong. Waited an hour on hold on the phone and was disconnected from service chat. I would give this company a 0 rating if possible. The delivery guys were about 0 helpful and couldn't get out of the house fast enough. "Not their problem". Really? You make the wrong delivery and it's not your problem? Give me a break. Just terrible customer service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I bought a King size hybrid mattress 116 days ago. I spent close to $1700 on the mattress. I began to notice body impressions. Not huge or terrible, but enough to make me question the mattress. Less than four months seemed too quick to have body impressions. Right? I was considering exchanging the mattress for something that wouldn't get body impressions. I knew I needed to decide quickly because the 120 day guarantee was ending soon. My husband and I went back to the original store. I told the salesman my concerns. And that's when the fast-talking double talk started. He said ALL king sized mattresses get body impressions. After less than 4 months? That didn't seem right to me.

I was guessing it had to do with the gel layers. His brilliant suggestion was to turn the mattress 90 degrees to try to get more even wear. OK. I'm no mattress expert, but that seemed weird to me. He repeated that suggestion several times and would not let me discuss other options. There never really was a discussion about other options. SO, now I have 4 days left on my 120 day guarantee, a mattress with body impressions that I can only assume will get worse over time, and many questions that never got answered. Final thought: If all king sized mattresses get body impressions, maybe I need to go back to my queen.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I bought a mattress and a box spring from Mattress Firm and it was a good experience. They were in a convenient location in my town, and it was pretty easy to just go and pick what I wanted. After looking on my own and picking what I wanted, the sales rep helped me. It was strange though that when the rep looked up the delivery schedule, they were all for Sundays. I also misjudged as I needed a mattress that's a little softer and I got one that's firmer than what I thought it would end up being. Nevertheless, the products have good quality.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We just purchased a new home and we needed new furniture. Mattress Firm had a sale and they also have a military discount so we went to them and bought three mattresses. I had gotten the full mattress and then a queen, and finally a twin mattress. They’re good mattresses. We got this cover for them that keeps the bed bugs away or it keeps it from getting dirty.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Mattress Firm's sales rep was phenomenal. He listened to my needs and let me try out every bed that I wanted. He recommended all the beds that he likes and I fell in love with one of the beds that he recommended. I purchased the mattress and so far, I love it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I went in the store to search for a quality affordable queen size set. Initially Annette, the saleswoman at the Denver store, was soft/pushy, meaning she provided information then allowed me time to lay on the bed. She then proceeded to run a credit check when I didn't want one done, but she pushed through my objections and did it anyway, including getting my social security. I didn't stand up and say 'NO' because I know these delete, but it made me uncomfortable and I felt "pushed". She then continued to push more, and got angry when I said that I would think about it.

I agreed to stay and look at cheaper beds, she said that "all you'll get for that amount is those" and they were the clearance beds standing against the wall. She then asked me if I wanted to pull the bed down to lay on it, as she wouldn't move the bed because of her bad back. This was way out of line! I left and will not go back, I do not appreciate being disrespected and then treated poorly when the "sale" looks like it's going south. I do not trust her, and she is the store manager!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Updated on 02/21/2019: This is been going on long enough with your company messing with my life. I have been stressed out with Mattress Firm store changing terms of an agreement that I have via text and online chat messages saying you were changing my terms back to agreed 89 a month interest free. I get a statement from synchrony bank and min payment is $157 still Telling me since end of November! I want my MONEY back come get the beds and frame as I have said since the beginning! This is enough of your company breaching a contract and changing the terms! I paid $341.59 of the bill not the agreed in writing $89 a month! You breached the contract again! I will go to a lawyer, news stations, everywhere on the internet, to get my money back and get out of this stress! Return my money, take back the beds, and frame!

Original Review: I ordered a mattress online and slept on it for 30 days, it hurt so badly I went into the local store to exchange. I said I can’t afford more than $2000. The manager was only person in the store. No one else there. No customers. I looked at beds and chose one, he sold me a adjustable base and another bed saying, "With your return it’ll only cost $800 more." I kept saying, "That doesn’t sound right." He said the base is a floor model. After him messing around on the computer for an hour he kept apologizing and saying, "I’m triple checking". I got the beds and base. For a delivery 4 days out.

I went home and decided to do a Mattress Firm chat at 3 am which the person looked up the sale and said everything was correct. I said it looks like everything is going to cost $3300, she said, "No. When the other mattress is returned all will be $2156." I also later that day text messaged the manager and asked to cancel stating it doesn’t look correct, (who gave his cell number on contract) he sent text with same $2156. And he said he called Synchrony to double check and after return it’s $2156. I said, "Are you sure? I can’t afford more than the $2156. I’m a widow." He said yes again. Well, lo and behold my credit card says I owe $3300. I was lied to and I have both these conversations in writing and the contract saying $2156.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My friends told me that mattresses from Mattress Firm are good. I got a head-up adjustable bed from them. The rep who helped me was nice. My back used to hurt but now, with my new mattress, I do not have a lot of pain when I wake up. My experience with it has been great.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased a great mattress about a year ago from Mattress Firm and was told about my warranty. I submitted a claim because the mattress sinks down really far when pressure is put on it. Also there is a noticeable depression in the mattress. I submitted a claim and then called because I heard no response. Waited 45 minutes and a lady answered and asked for more pics. I sent her more pics and she was to email stating she got them and she never did. Her name was Gwenlyn.

Then I got transferred to another agent whom said she could clearly see the problem. Then transferred me back to Gwenlyn whom told me she denied my claim and that the person before her should have approved it. Long story short I called again. Asked for a supervisor and was on hold another 45 minutes and then was told the manager would call me back within the hour. I received no call back. I called back in and they said my claim is denied and would not let me talk to a supervisor. This company is a fraud.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I paid in full for a new mattress set, delivery, and to remove my old mattress set. They delivered to the wrong address and person signed and took mattress. I need a refund 5 days and the wrong address still has the mattress (gross). Store and district managers could not be any ruder to me. I feel like I have been robbed of over $1,000. PLEASE do not buy from these people! I gave them the correct address and paid in full, so you would think the store would be nicer to me but act like they do not even care. If you buy from this company your mattress could have been used and sitting at someone's house for days!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

On Sunday, I purchased $1700 worth of product from Mattress Firm store in Santa Rosa, CA. I was told it would be delivered to my vacation home in Truckee, CA on 11/20/2018. I received the automated call evening of 11/19/2018 telling me it would arrive between 9:15-11:15 am. At 12:15 pm on 11/20, I called Santa Rosa store to ask when they would be arriving, as they were 1 hour late. Upon further investigation, I found out that the mattress was ripped at the warehouse, and there wasn’t another in stock. No one had bothered to tell me until I called to check on delivery. I am renting my home out this weekend, and needed that mattress. Santa Rosa employee was kind enough to call a store in Reno who said they had one, but I would need to pick it up.

I dropped everything, drove the 40 miles to get it, only to be told that they didn’t have the mattress that I had bought in stock, and could I maybe take an Eastern king, rather than CAL king. I did not, as I’ve invested $$$$ in bedding for Cal king. They then tried to get me to take an all foam mattress. At that point, I requested a complete refund, and purchased what I needed from a locally owned company. I got a better mattress, box springs, frame and delivery all for $1300. Dealing with MF was one of the worst consumer experiences I’ve ever had.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I purchased a mattress and box spring from the Linden, NJ store. I was told by the salesman Tony it was new and clearance from another store that was closing. He reviewed the order line by line (with him holding the paper). He then sort of folded it to have me initial it. He then printed my copy and folded it and handed it to me. Everything seemed ok until I received the text to confirm the delivery and I saw the line that stated the order included "pre-owned" merchandise which to means USED. Tony totally skipped over this line. Unfortunately I was in a spot and needed bedding and had to take it.

The delivery men could not get the box spring up the stairs and suggested I get a split. When I contacted the store Tony told me to refuse the box spring and he had a split in stock for the same price as the box I purchased ($100.00). I was on my way to pick them up today when Tony called and said they were now $175.00 each! After ten minutes arguing and he calling ME a liar he said "the only way I could get them for the original price would be for me to take down my review and get there within one hour." Talk about blackmail! I am out the price of the box spring and the cost of an incomplete delivery. This is utterly disgusting behavior on the part of any salesperson and Mattress Firm should be ashamed of his behavior and sales practices. Stay far away from the Linden, NJ store and make sure you get a copy of the sales agreement as they go line by line so you can confirm what they say.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We liked the mattress we tried at Mattress Firm and the salespeople were good. It was easy dealing with them. We asked a couple of questions and they were knowledgeable. We bought the box spring, the king size mattress and pillows too, and Mattress Firm delivered them. We're sleeping on the bed now and so far, we like it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I purchased my Tulo in July. When I first went to the store, I actually preferred the Serta iComfort but it was out of my price range. I was told the Tulo was comparable but less expensive and I still had the benefit of the 120 night guarantee. I’ve tried to like this bed and I just can’t. I decided to opt for the Serta. I was supposed to have the exchange today and the delivery people claim “stains” and refused to perform the exchange stating Mattress Firm denied it. He told me Mattress Firm was calling and it was only the delivery dispatcher who was telling me to call the store. Drivers left before I could even get an adequate explanation.

Now people who did not even look at this bed are going based on what their delivery driver claims even though I have the mattress protector they force you to buy because of the 120 night guarantee. No clue. It doesn’t look like anything. I already paid the difference for the Serta. I either want the bed I paid or a complete refund including the delivery fee given no delivery took place. The rep at the store I got my original bed seems to be helpful but at this point after reading all these complaints, I fear I’m not going to have a successful resolution. I’d rather spend the money for the same bed elsewhere and avoid this hassle. I was happy to recommend Mattress Firm before this but definitely not now.

Mattress Firm response
      Dear Melanie,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. We would like to address your concerns and will have a specialist assigned to your case who reach out to you for further assistance.

Mattress Firm Company Information