2. Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.89/5

For over 30 years, PHH Mortgage has provided industry-leading mortgage services and helped countless homebuyers and homeowners find financing solutions to meet their needs. We are committed to providing personalized care and solutions to help our customers save money, build equity and most importantly, stay in their homes. Whether you need assistance with your current loan or are looking to purchase a new home or refinance, PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 21, 2020

I had mistakenly placed my payment envelope into the mailbox WITHOUT a Postage Stamp and was worried about missing my payment deadline. Therefore I sent another check as I awaited the original to return to my home. Upon checking my bank account, I saw that both checks were cashed by PHH so I immediately worried that the excess money would be placed against my mortgage interest. However, I was PLEASED To Learn that PHH simply credited the second check to next month's payment.

To me personally, that showed EXCELLENT Regard for my (the customer) financial capability and monthly responsibilities outside of my mortgage payment. Good Faith acts like this are what separate Good and Respectable Companies from Fly By Night Operations that essentially grift every nickel they can from their customers. I'm happy to have my mortgage with PHH Mortgage.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, David. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the service provided by PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I had a concern when my Mortgage was not even loaded into the PHH System on February 1, 2020. I had many conversations with the people on the Hotline. They were all very courteous and willing to help if possible. Being an IT professional myself. I asked many in depth questions about their processes. They were very patient in answering my questions to the best of their ability. It is my nature to be precise and specific to understand the processes and to understand the length of time for them to work. On February 10, the data got loaded on to the system. I was able to register but the link failed. The next day they corrected the problem and was able to make the first payment. I am now a happy camper. I was a Software Engineer for IBM and Lockheed Martin for a total of 35 years.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Robert. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided by our team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

In the beginning I thought Ocwen Loan Services LLC. was giving me a run around. Asking for stuff my sister Monalisa was sending in. But since PHH took over, they seem to understand my situation a little clearer. My physical situation seems to be getting better. I pray and asking God for FAVOR over my situation. My son is relocating back here to New Jersey. He will be handling my finances. PLEASE ALLOW ME ANOTHER CHANCE. Thank you for your help. I’m a veteran & I need my home. Thank you very much, IN THE GREAT NAME OF JESUS, Amen.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Paula for the positive review. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers. One of our escalation management team member has been engaged to review your account and will reach out to you. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

The service I received was excellent. The gentleman who handled my call was extremely helpful. My payment had been declined due to insufficient funds. This was my error. I put more money into the bank account in question.. But now I was very concerned about being late in my payment. The gentleman understood my concern and was helpful to me.. I needed to know whether I should try to make another payment or whether PHH would run the earlier payment through again.

So the gentleman put me on a brief hold so that he could verify this with his boss. Very soon he was back with me to explain that PHH would indeed try the payment once again.

So there was nothing that I needed to do now. That was good news. While I was on the phone, he also told me that my payment amount would be going down in the near future. So that was even more good news. He didn't have to do this extra work because he had already served me. I believe you have a true asset in this gentleman. He is an excellent representative of PHH. You could certainly use him to train other telephone people in your company. Thank you so much, Stephen

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Stephen! It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about the excellent customer service provided by Garnet. We will be sure to share your feedback with him.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My mortgage was just transferred from Ocwen to PHH on June 1, 2019. ALL I can say is that so far is, Yes I can see that Ocwen is still there standing with PHH on our behalf. Last year in 2018 we was approved for a loan modification when a illness that cause a hardship to take place. The HAMP program was able to modify our mortgage at a much lower interest rate of 2% that made our monthly payments more affordable..

In March of 2019 there was another hardship but Ocwen was able to set us up on a forbearance plan and we still had fallen behind so we was able to pay what we could at that time.. But Ocwen did not give up, they notify us about PHH transfer. We didn't give up, we prayed because we was now 5 months behind. So I contact PHH and every person that I talked to was so nice. They answered all my questions, they ask me when can we make the payment in full. PHH customer service made me feel like Ocwen is still there. I THANK YOU so much Ocwen/PHH mortgage for still being here for us....

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Pamela. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about Ocwen/PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: May 23, 2020

PHH mortgage is absolutely terrible and their website is even worse! You can’t pay your mortgage on their website, edit your autopay, add to principal, even schedule an additional payment! They make you call their customer service number which is ran by people who sound like robots and are foreigners! Ridiculous. I have three mortgages and this is by far the worst experience I’ve ever had with a mortgage company. The only reason I have to have to suffer PHH’s piss poor service and restrictive, GARBAGE website is because they bought the loan servicing rights to one of my mortgages. Do not choose this company for anything! Their website is extremely difficult and restricts you in many payment modifications, even when you’re trying to pay more than your monthly payment! Absolute garbage company. Stay far away.

PHH Mortgage response

Samuel, we apologize for your experience with PHH, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding our website. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 22, 2020

Applied for Short Sale. Had buyer. Market value of house was $162.000, mortgage was $207.000. PHH waited 4 months then got VA appraisal which was $197.000, PHH wanted $187.000. Buyer backed out and deposit refunded. Applied for deed in Lieu. PHH said I could not have house on market when applying for deed in lieu. I took it off the market. PHH disapproved Short Sale because I didn't have an offer. PHH granted Forbearance which I did not apply for and which would not help me.

I was moving for physical reasons; I did not have a financial hardship. They stopped my automatic payments because they said I was delinquent. How can someone making automatic payments be delinquent? They terminated my auto payments because they assumed I would accept Forbearance, even though I advised them several times in writing, I did not have a financial hardship. Then I got an letter saying Short Sale and Deed in Lieu were denied because I was offered mortgage modification. It took them nine months to do that which resulted in foreclosure because my $20,000. advance payment for assisted living ran out and I could not pay for that and my mortgage.

There is not room to explain PHH's misinformation, poor administration or the rudeness and lack of help by the numerous reps I spoke with. I only got to speak with my case manager once, which was by appointment, and it was an unpleasant waste of time. Each conversation ended with a sarcastic "have a wonderful day". Having PHH takeover my mortgage was the worst thing that happened to me. I received immediate and outstanding service from OCWEN. Their motto, "helping is what we do" was sincere. What I stated in this evaluation, and more, is a matter of record. I forgot, you can't check on my case because the records are expired. PHH which is your policy not a law. There is no legal reason to prevent reviewing my case.

PHH Mortgage response

William, we do take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving your concerns. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Covid 19 Forbearance Plan. Discussed the plan and was satisfied & relief after a friendly & caring talk to your representative. She answered my questions patiently and have a good consolation over my problems due to this pandemic, thank you!

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided.

Original review: May 21, 2020

An assistant called me this week and asked me if I had any questions concerning or needed any help with my mortgage. Mr. ** explained the process and the help I will receive. He was extremely helpful and professional. Thank you. Barbara **

PHH Mortgage response

Barbara, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with our service. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Absolutely hate PHH Mortgage and we refinanced primarily as a way to get rid of our mortgage being under PHH. Prior to changing to NewRez, the website NEVER worked, and getting in contact with someone at customer service who knows what they're talking about was impossible. They are incredibly uncommunicative and they will blow you off for anything that doesn't benefit them only. Our mortgage was just paid off with PHH, but there is absolutely no documentation of any past records, or the payment amount. I am sure I was owed a refund, but PHH made sure I have no way to calculate that, and there are no longer any documents related to my loan under my online account. I will NEVER recommend this company!!! Get away from them as soon as possible.

PHH Mortgage response

Jessica, we apologize for your experience with PHH and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

PHH Mortgage author review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company has options for VA, FHA, conventional and HARP loans. They also offer mortgage refinancing services. They offer loans to people with all types of credit. An experienced loan officer can help you determine what type of mortgage you should apply for.

• Online mortgage calculator: Use PHH Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to determine what monthly payment you can make based on your budget and existing debt.

• Apply online: Get started with your mortgage or refinance application online with PHH Mortgage’s easy online application.

• Fast and easy pre approval: Get preapproved for a mortgage quickly. This can let home sellers know that you’re serious about buying a house and prove that you can qualify for the mortgage to cover it.

• Loan options: PHH Mortgage has loan options for every type of homebuyer. You can get a conventional, FHA, VA or HARP loan, or you can refinance your house for a lower interest rate.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

PHH Mortgage Company Information