4.0/5 (622 ratings)

About PHH Mortgage

PHH Mortgage has provided mortgage services and financing solutions for more than 30 years. PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options, including options for those purchasing a new home or refinancing.

Pros

• Offers home loans and refinancing
  • 24/7 online account access
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Does not offer HELOC programs
  • Mixed reviews for customer service

Bottom Line

PHH helps home buyers navigate the homebuying process and offers a variety of loan options for first-time homebuyers, seasoned homebuyers and investors

Top PHH Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have a home loan that is with PHH. I was recently impressed by their friendly and helpful staff. They helped me delay my payments, but this isn’t the only time they have exceede...

Verified

The PHH rep who was providing assistance went above and beyond the call of duty to help me retrieve my paperwork, even though my account had been closed and transferred to a third...

What is PHH Mortgage?

PHH Mortgage offers a variety of services for homebuyers and business owners. PHH Mortgage focuses on helping people buy homes or investment properties. It has flexible financing options and loan terms, and the company provides resources to help buyers make informed and confident decisions. PHH Mortgage also offers business services, including subservicing, partner portfolio management and investor services.

PHH Homebuying

The PHH Mortgage team walks homebuyers through every step of the homebuying process. Its representatives help customers determine how much they can afford, discuss down payment options and closing costs, set monthly payments and navigate additional expenses like insurance and utilities.

First-time homebuyers
PHH Mortgage offers first-time homebuyers the support and resources they need to navigate the homebuying process. This includes walking you through the preapproval process, exploring your options for loan terms and joining you for the home inspection process. Its representatives help first-time homebuyers through the closing process and answer all questions until you have the keys to your new home.
Next homes
If you’ve purchased a home before, PHH can help you finance your next home if you’re looking to downsize or upgrade. The company can help repeat homebuyers choose the best mortgage and decide between fixed-rate mortgages and adjustable-rate loans.
Vacation homes
Buying a second home or vacation property is similar to buying a primary residence, but PHH helps you understand taxes, equity and rental potential for a second home. It offers a vacation homebuying checklist so you can make a vacation home purchase with confidence.
Investment properties
PHH Mortgage helps new investors enter the property investment market and seasoned investors fine-tune their strategies. Talk to the company’s mortgage experts about loan options for investment properties.

PHH Refinancing

Refinancing can be a smart way to reduce your interest rates, shorten payment periods or lower monthly payments. Whether you need to take cash out or change your loan options, PHH makes it easy to understand your options and save money in the process.

PHH Home Insurance

Buying a home means buying insurance — this can be a confusing process, especially for first-time homeowners. PHH offers a wide range of insurance products, including flood, accidental death and homeowners insurance. It also assists with home warranties and identity fraud protection.

PHH Mortgage rates

Mortgage rates change frequently, and it’s a good idea to get rates from several mortgage lenders before making a final decision.

PHH is one of the top five mortgage companies in the country and offers fixed-rate loans with terms up to 40 years. Its simple online loan application process lets you see the types of loans you qualify for. The company’s rates are typically competitive with the market.

PHH Mortgage FAQ

How do I make a payment on PHH Mortgage?
PHH Mortgage’s innovative website lets you access your account 24/7 and make payments online. You can also submit your payment by phone.
Does PHH Mortgage have a grace period?
There is a 15-day grace period for mortgage payments.
Does PHH Mortgage accept cards?
Yes. You can pay with a Visa, Mastercard or Discover card. You can also make payments through Apple Pay or your bank account.

Is PHH Mortgage a good company?

PHH is a leading mortgage company in the United States. Its rates are competitive, and it offers a variety of services for homebuyers. Customers give mixed feedback on customer service, but many report being satisfied with its flexible payment plans. We recommend PHH as an educational resource for those buying homes for the first time or those looking to switch up their real estate financing options.

PHH Mortgage video review

phh mortgage video review
Janet: My name is Janet, and I live in North Carolina. And the reason I was involved with PHH Mortgage is I refinanced my loan on my home, and their company bought it. PHH Mortgage bought my mortgage when I refinanced my house in the fall. And so I didn't have any other choices when they bought my mortgage. So I wanted to learn how to work with them. Well, I purchased my loan through another mortgage company, but they only sell mortgages, they don't finance them. So PHH Mortgage was the one that picked up my mortgage, and it was a very easy process. They got ahold of me and introduced themselves and sent me materials. The people at PHH Mortgage that I have talked with have been very responsive. One of my concerns when I called to ask about the website was if I could automatically have my mortgage payment deducted every month, so that I would not have to keep going in and paying it every month. The man that I spoke with was very courteous. He looked into it for me, and reassured me that I was all set up for automatic mortgage payments. And that makes life a lot easier for me. Working with PHH Mortgage was definitely worth it for me. I was able to have all my questions answered. I'm able to have my mortgage payment deducted automatically from my bank account every month when it's due. And I don't have to go back in and check on it on a regular basis. And the people at PHH Mortgage that I spoke with were very courteous and knowledgeable.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Your company as well as your well trained representatives are always kind, patient, and full of compassionate and sympathetic to my needs. I recently lost my 61 yr old husband VERY unexpectedly and immediately when I called explaining my circumstances, the company representative took such good care of my needs. Reassuring me everything will work out and I should just take the time I need to get everything I had to do get done and suggested I call back in a month. Each time we had to call for whatever the issue we were treated very well. I would definitely recommend your company to anyone wishing to purchase a home or interested in refinancing. Thank you for all did for me and in my time of loss.

Sincerely,
DeAnna

God Bless

PHH Mortgage response

DeAnna we'd like to extend our condolences to you on the loss of your husband. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to hear that you are pleased with the service provided by our customer service representatives. Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I was very pleased with a recent call to your company. We were hoping to recast our mortgage with a large payment and prior to the call we’re unsure of how the process worked. Your associate was kind, professional and very helpful. He answered my questions confidently and helped me feel at ease with our decision. I am very thankful for that interaction and I was so grateful for the amazing support. Thank you very much!

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Carly. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I contacted PHH service line to ask questions as I am a new customer. I signed up on the web page which was very easy to negotiate. I wanted to make sure that my payment would come out every month automatically so I would not have to check on it each month. The helpful service person checked on it and reassured me it would! This is wonderful! He was very polite and knowledgeable.

PHH Mortgage response

Janet, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

PHH Mortgage Services always provides the highest quality of customer service and genuinely cares for their customers and treat us like family. When you need their help, they always listen to your concerns and then do everything they can to help you through something small or something huge and life changing. They are always so respectful to us and strive to go above and beyond what is needed. I know and can trust PHH Mortgage Services to see us through while giving us every opportunity to make sure that we are satisfied. We greatly appreciate all the many years of trusted customer service.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Robert. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: June 30, 2021

From the time the pandemic began I was knocked down and so many things going on but when I reached out to you guys, with kindness and with love, I was assisted with such a great customer service. Everyone I have ever spoken to in this company is humble and addresses you carefully to make sure you go off the line satisfied. I love the customer service, well trained people. God bless you all, surely I will recommend this company to anyone at anytime. Have a bless day.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Kwame. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 4, 2022

DO NOT USE THEM AT ANY COST!!! Well I am going with the pack on this. PMI is suppose to be removed when hit 80/20 loan to value is reached. Now with house market going through roof, I am well above that. Requested they reappraise the property and pay the $150 fee for that. They cashed my check but won't do the Appraisal. Claiming have not documented enough improvements to home to justify it. Even at Zillow's low range number I at 26% equity. I would refinance but interest rates have gone up so much that would be paying more monthly if I did. :(

PHH Mortgage response

Stephen, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have with regards to PMI cancellation process. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Mel on my loan processor got transferred to PHH without my knowledge but I guess they were shot selling some mortgages to PHH and mine was one of them. Ever since then I've had so much difficulty with their customer service. You never get anybody you could understand on the phone and they can be rude as hell. Now they're telling me I'm in default and I'm not. They sent me four left contradictory letters regarding my account and I've had to spend hours on end trying to get my situation resolved. This is not a company you wanna deal with and how I have a feeling they're doing fraudulent things or they're doing things that seem to be fraudulent because they're so stupid.

Do not use this company. I would not recommend it. You would be disappointed. My physical address will which PHH has the mortgage with is ** and this is a real review. If you have any more questions you're welcome to call me at ** and I'll be happy to further discuss this review with you. It's just too long to be discussing here but the overall summation is bad., my name is Sam **.

PHH Mortgage response

Sam, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 21, 2022

I am happy that PHH initially approved my mortgage/Loan for modification due to financial hardship because of COVID-19. My acct/payments has never been late with them. They send back docs to be re-signed and notarized, but they came really late. (Mail delivery is really really slow since COVID-19.) They got the docs on the deadline date but now they rejected my modification. I really thought they are there to help us during this difficult time.

PHH Mortgage response

Marilyn, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding loan modification denial. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Our mortgage was transferred from another bank. PHH is the worse bank we have ever experienced. We called 10 times, 4 times out of those 10 times we got disconnected after being on hold for 20-30 minutes. One time an associate said she doesn't know how to calculate, so we have to wait for someone else, another time an associate told us to call our previous bank because they don't have records of the past payments. We will never recommend this bank or ever do any banking with them again. Also, we would have given them zero stars if that was an option.

PHH Mortgage response

We take all feedback seriously, and we would appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Please send us a private message with your phone number and loan number so we can have one of our team members reach out to you. Thank you.

Original review: April 8, 2022

Wonderful company! They worked around our availability even if it was after hours, James communicated throughout the process. PHH Mortgage was able to bring my interest rate down, no one could beat their offer.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Gloria. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

PHH Mortgage Company Information