1.00/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a mortgage provider?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

334 PHH Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We were contacted by PHH with a refinance offer, after my husband had submitted an inquiry about refinancing. My husband had many questions about fees, and he was told if we backed out of the loan, we would be charged $250. We had an appraisal, completed the paperwork, and were told the closing would occur at the end of the month, but then hurricane Irma hit within a week. As a result, we had some roof damage. PHH called us to see how everything was after the hurricane and we told them we had some roof damage and we had to file an insurance claim. They began calling my husband while he was at work, every 3 to 5 days, asking if we had made the repairs, so they could do a second appraisal, and continue with the closing. We told them we were still waiting for the adjuster to come out to access the roof.

Our insurance company was backed out with claims from the hurricane and because there were so many claims, they had a shortage of adjusters. Also, we let them know there was no way we could personally control how long it would take for an adjuster to come out. This was so frustrating to us because we had just gone through the traumatic experience of a hurricane and now we were being pressured to speed up a process that was completely out of our control and frustrating. About two and a half, or three weeks after the hurricane, PHH told us they had to cancel the refinance because we were taking too long to make repairs. This was really upsetting.

To top it all off, a few days later they went into our bank account and took out $642. We received a letter stating our house did not pass inspection, although a second appraisal had never been performed. Anyway, we have called them and the loan originator said, he personally has never heard of a situation like ours, and he would look into why we were charged for an appraisal on a refinance that they canceled. I am waiting to hear back from him. It speaks for itself. Presently, I am looking into the matter; as one would think there would be provisions for hurricanes.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Our house is financed with PHH Mortgage and has been for some time. We have been trying to refinance the same house with them, since 7/4/2017. I have done most of the work for them and as of this date I do not have a closing date. We have been through three separate people handling our loan as of today. They have lost the various items of paperwork to handle this closing no less than three separate times on three separate items. I just want out of the refi at no cost. I am going to file multiple complaints at every agency that monitors and audits the mortgage industry. This is ridiculous.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

PHH Mortgage should not be allowed to issue Veterans Administration (VA) supported loans. Young military family forced to move due to military orders at a time when the single-family sales market was down creating a sales price below mortgage payoff. PHH Mortgage and their investors, purposely have procession designed to abuse and torture the parties involved in attempt to chase away from the sales deal. Once they achieve their goal chasing the parties away, they force a foreclosure to dump property on Secretary of Veteran Affairs. This also damages the young military families credit history and taste of home ownership in the future... All because they used PHH Mortgage to lend on their home purchase. Bad company, does not support customers/borrowers when unfortunate situations incur. #PHHMortgagebad #VAmortgageanyonebutPHHMortgage.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My Federal Credit Union sold my mortgage to this joke of a company! I did a 15 yr mortgage and never had an issue until these jokes took over. First time ever I missed a payment because they messed up my direct payment method and then I got a foreclosure notice when I owed less than $5000.00! I called the atty in Philly. He obviously know what scammers he is dealing with done... all good!

So today get my statement. I owe 1000.63 next payment October so I call and this thing with an indian accent tells me his name is Rocky ** really and gave me ridiculous information... sad and people from foreign countries wonder why they get a bad rap!!! This whatever acted like I was bothering him/her and frankly it sounded from background noise they were in a garage somewhere with 100s of them scamming us hard working tax paying individuals... seriously want to puke! Guess what I will pay the price quoted for payoff this week when it is a few 100 more than my statement received today just to get rid of the pukes! And never ever again will I be so stupid. If I ever do a loan again I will make the institution sign a notarized sworn statement that prior to them selling me off to the dogs. I will have a choice to back out!!! God Bless America!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Our mortgage was sold to PHH Mortgage over 1 year ago. I had given approval for automatic draft to the prior lender so apparently it transferred to PHH Mortgage. A couple months in I was told that I didn't have sufficient escrow allocated so set up a higher automatic payment per month with them. For several months my savings account was drafted twice -once for the prior and once for the new amount. I called several times to sort this out and each time they gave me a different explanation. Finally I put a 'stop payment' for one of the payments through my bank.

Now they are charging me $50 service fee for this, even though they acknowledge that my account is in good standing. They say there is no record of me calling to cancel one of the two payments!?!? Months of frustration with this company. I refinanced for the same rate just to get away from this company. I cannot prove it because I'm not an expert but this company seems to have fraudulent practices. I will never deal with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I am constantly contacted that I have not made my monthly payments but yet my checks clear the bank. I forward copies of ONLY line item of payment. They raised my mortgage due to taxes they said. How do they do that on a fixed rate etc. I sent in my normal payment and they returned THEIR check as they had cashed mine. I returned theirs asking to credit my account back. They again sent the exact same check back which I have returned again to them. Thinking if you cash their check they have a hand up on you.

Since this incident supposedly they have not received my last 2 payments of course there will be late fees (though for the last 1.5 years they have not had a problem receiving my payments). I believe they do this in order to try to rip people off. I have reached out to a real estate attorney. Maybe there is an attorney we all can file a lawsuit with against them. When a firm files a class action type of thing. (I am not a legal person).

Original review: July 27, 2017

My husband and I have been with PHH Mortgage for about 7 years and had nothing but nightmares with them. In 7 years we were 2 payments behind on our home equity and now they return 2 months of payments to make us late and 4 payments behind and sent to collections. They will not work with you and always an excuse payment takes 10 days to process. If we can get out of this home equity we would in a heartbeat. Do NOT go with PHH Mortgage services for any type of mortgage.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I've had two mortgages with PHH, neither of which originated with them, but were mortgages that they bought the paper on. I just sold one of the homes, which I hadn't seen in 7 years. We had to hold onto it and rent it out because of market conditions, lost all my equity and then some. When it closed I contacted PHH and was told that I needed to allow 15 days to receive the escrow repayment which passed on June 26th. On the 29th I called and was told "wait a day and call us back for options".

Well today was the 30th and I called back. I was told Pat ** is her of so every positive pitched voice, "Well it was cut and put in the mail. You'll just have to wait!" I asked for a supervisor and spoke with Nakisha ** who was no help as well, but her advice was "well it takes time for it to get into the mail system, you have to wait for another 7 to 10 business days..." So here's a mortgage company who doesn't make their payments in a reasonable amount of time and their excuse is "Check's in the mail!" I cannot tell you how important it is that if your loan originator syndicates your mortgage to PHH you need to refinance and move it to another group. We have had ZERO problems and wonderful customer service with our other mortgage at Wells Fargo.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have had quite many mortgages with different companies. This one is the worst. Here is how: They force you to have a escrow account for insurance and tax even if your LTV is below 80% or 70% or even 10%. The escrow account is mandatory for the entire time of loan period. They loan the money to charge you interest plus this fee and that fee. But when you loan them money, the escrow account, you got nothing. You loan to them for free.

One time, I accidentally paid the property tax myself this escrow account just the amount of property tax without returning it to me. It took me more than 3 calls and waited for 3 months to get the extra amount in escrow account returned to me. They use these extra 3-month cash flow to sell the loan to other customers. Once you requested to pay off the loan, they still hold the money in escrow account even after the pay-off date. I am waiting and seeing how long they are going to return it to me this time.

Their online website is horrible: buggy and slow. You can't imagine a finance related website can have so many problems. One time I wanted to change my password. It took me one hour on the phone waiting, transferring to different person, kill my internet browser, reboot my computer. All of all, I could not log in my account anymore. The company's customer service is horrible. The people on the other end of phone are robots, or worse than robots. RUN AWAY FROM PHH MORTGAGE AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Original review: June 7, 2017

After sending in an electronic mortgage payoff amount I was later informed that PHH still charged additional interest for 10 more days while waiting for the funds to clear. Mind you, they had already been in possession of the payoff funds for 5 days when I called yet rather than retroactively apply the funds after their self-imposed waiting period they wanted additional while satisfying their random 10-day waiting period. Additionally, the process of trying to get to someone with a functioning brain was extremely painful after being put on hold at least 10 times. This is a nothing more than a blatant scam to squeeze out a few extra bucks from a really good customer being treated poorly as a result of paying our mortgage off early.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I'm so sorry that USAA sky-hooked their mortgage services to PHH a few years back... it was like night and day. USAA didn't create a hassle at all, while PHH has an attitude that they got you by the balls so screw-you. They messed-up my payment schedule and started charging me late fees early 2016. I called and the guy on the phone verified that PHH was at fault, but 2 days later I got the up-yours letter from PHH in the mail [we're right you're wrong]. After I documented everything and mailed it off to them [took out a day of my time], they did correct the mistakes, but they never confirmed any of it or even notified me that the mistakes were reversed... I had to look it up on their website.

I paid off the mortgage early this year to close the dysfunctional relationship and the cheap idiots didn't even pay to have my county send me the release of the lien. I had to call the County Assessor to find out what was happening. My only hope is more banks drop these fools so the company collapses. I feel for their employees, but not that much... They know they're working for morons and are happy to do it.

Original review: May 19, 2017

PHH has held the mortgage for my home for 10 years. I've been posted overseas for 7 years so have been renting out the home. I have never missed a payment - never been late. The LTV is under 80% but PHH insists my home value is $100,000+ less than the original or current appraisal. I've called that worthless Philippines call-center multiple times, wrote emails and letters over the past 6 months with proof of current value . They have never responded. The PMI payment is just high enough to make continued renting unprofitable. So, I'm selling the house (got two offers in the first week confirming the 80% LTV). If the boneheads at PHH had responded to my inquiries, removed the PMI as they should have, I'd be holding on to the house as a rental and they'd be earning interest for the next 20 years. Instead they prefer to take Insurance company kickbacks from their despicable little PMI scam. Sad.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Ever since these pieces of crap bought our mortgage we've had issues. First, when they bought the loan, we spent MONTHS helping them get the payment from LenderLive, the entire time we had to deal with a back talking customer support woman. They told us we were liars about working w/ LL to get the payment forwarded and they claimed LL didn't send them the check. We had to get scans of the literal check and tracking before they magically found the check "stuck in receiving" - it was a wire transfer. If that wasn't enough, the destination for our check changed, and we were not notified- we kept getting phone calls from collections and were told that we were liars, until they magically discovered (again) that the checks were going to our Escrow.

We also got a phone call from our home insurance to notify us of a late payment because they didn't receive the latest check, lo and behold, PHH ** up the escrow and didn't have the proper information for our insurance company. Just today they called me again because our May balance was $500 higher because they hadn't been setting aside escrow properly, and the payment intended for May was applied 100% to principal. These people are incompetent, rude, bottom-feeders, and I would recommend avoiding them at all costs.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Our loan was sold to PHH Mortgage since 2015. This is the worst mortgage company as far as trying to make payments. They use a 3rd party system that charges an extra $7.50 per payment if you attempt it over the phone or the web. Links on their website for payment don't work, when you call to get transferred to the billing service it doesn't work either. What kind of company makes it this hard to make monthly payments. Beware, if trying to pay them is this tough, what's going to happen when you need real customer service?

Original review: May 6, 2017

I currently have a mortgage with PHH and was contacted by them for several months about a refi. Well I guess dumb old me assumed that with a few computer keystrokes I would be refinanced... WRONG!!! After months of back and forth I was turned down. My paperwork was sent to me and my credit score was 802 out of a possible 850 and my credit card was charged $742. I agreed to this charge if I terminated the refinancing after it was started... I never did that. They turned me down. So please don't fall this SCAM!!!

Original review: May 2, 2017

PHH is the absolute worst mortgage company that you can imagine. From their horrible mismanagement and disorganization during the underwriting process to the complete and utter lack of customer service in returning our escrow funds. They have done nothing but give my wife and I the runaround. A normal phone call involves waiting on hold for 45 minutes to 2 hours, speaking with 10 or more people (none of which have any answers, or the ability to remedy your issue), lack of accountability in recording any real notes from calls (unless it benefits PHH) etc.

I am now 100% aware of why Key Bank has severed their relation-** with this company. My wife and I will be refinancing as soon as is humanly possible to get out from under this grossly unprofessional operation. FAIR WARNING: If you find that your underwriters are with PHH, go to a different lender. Run, run as fast as you can to someone else. PHH is the stuff that the Devil's nightmares are made of!

Original review: March 31, 2017

I have had my home on automatic payments for 4 years and just realized that PHH stopped taking my payments in February this year (2017). I started getting weird letters in the mail from a loan care company that I did not understand. Then looked at my account to pay and catch up and it won't process my payment because "function is unavailable". I am unimpressed with the lack of communication and my wife was shocked when someone showed up at our house and served us with foreclosure notices... How can I pay if I'm not able to pay or get through to pay this mysterious entity...

Original review: March 30, 2017

My mortgage was sold to PHH mortgage and it has been a nightmare ever since. They continuously lose your paperwork. Due to a family emergency I missed one mortgage payment. The next month they wanted 2 payments they raised my payment 374.00 a month. I was told to apply for homeowner's assistance. They kept losing my paperwork. After 3 months I called to pay what I owed, I was told it was in an attorney's hands. They would not accept my payment. The Atty wanted 2000. I was declined assistance. Was told to appeal and was declined for a totally different reason than the first one.

When I called NY case worker she wanted me to sell my house that I had for 19 years. I declined. I owed 3000 which I had. I didn't have the Atty fees. I was told to get money from my 401k or borrow from my life insurance policy. I told the rep the only way I could get the money from my life insurance was if I was dead. Without my knowledge she called my local police dept and said I was suicidal. I had 3 police officers come to my house and asked me if I wanted to harm myself, which I said no because I didn't. This was done in front of my 2 and 8 year old granddaughters. This company is an absolute nightmare.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I am a court volunteer and I serve as a guardian and conservator. I become appointed by a probate judge, for the elderly or for people who have been deemed incompetent to handle their finances and sometimes all decision making. I have had to try and work with PHH Mortgage, when some of the individuals that I have been appointed to, have PHH as their mortgage holder. I write a letter to PHH with my certified letters of authority with the court order. They have chosen to ignore this court order time and again and refuse to acknowledge that the individual I am serving in this capacity has been deemed incompetent to handle their financial affairs and in some cases, not able to make any decisions on their own anymore.

With the current case I have, I have been trying since January 2017 to get PHH to acknowledge the borrower (my ward) is an incapacitated individual. I have sent the court orders 3 times, have called several times and they still will not talk to me, change billing address or send payment coupons to me. Most of my individuals I serve are, the elderly that have been taken advantage of, suffer from dementia and are already scared they are losing everything. In many cases, these individuals have not paid their bills and may even be delinquent on their mortgage payment putting them at risk of foreclosure or already in foreclosure.

With companies like PHH, that refuse to acknowledge a court order and appointment of conservator, make these individuals more terrified they will lose their home. What is wrong PHH mortgage? Don't the get it! Do they not know a court order when they get one? I will be writing one more letter today, stating that if they do not acknowledge my appointment, I am filing a motion and order to show cause. Let them explain to the judge why they are refusing his order.

Original review: March 18, 2017

I have had difficulty with PHH Mortgage since my mortgage was sold to them four years ago. They recently sent me a letter stating that they were notified that my home was vacant and it is not. We currently owe $112,000 and our property was appraised at $187,000 for our refinance four years ago. It seems PHH mortgage tends to "bully" its customers and find ways to gain a property by unethical ways. I would not recommend anyone to get a mortgage from PHH mortgage. They are not an ethical company.

Original review: March 15, 2017

They have been a nightmare after a couple of months after I closed for my first home. Random fees, surprise overages, made up numbers in shortages and the list goes on. Even worse is their foreign call center. Worst of all is that they don't even listen to what you have to say. I explained to them what my problem was with extremely high shortages even though I did escrow. My taxes went up by $76 dollars and all of a sudden my shortage was $5,800. I called to have them explain what is the shortage is for if it was only $76 dollars. Their unforgettable answer was... "YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY THAT!" I asked them to explain and they just kept telling me was "YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY THAT!"

Original review: March 13, 2017

This is a factual representation of my experiences. Dual tracking and extensive paperwork denied our mod the first time and we hired a document processor then. They finally accepted it after 8 months. They told us not to pay or we wouldn't even be considered for a modification. Dragged their feet and delayed timely processing of the mod. Predatory lending practices and discrimination because of the ridiculously high PMI. I had good credit and so did my co-signer, but I am dark skinned. Redlining just to name a few.

Original review: March 10, 2017

PHH sold my mortgage to another company. Then reported that I was missing my payments because I was sending payment to new lender. These people are idiots. It does no good to try to talk to them. I do not think they understand English.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Have proof that my bank sent payment to the right place and on time. PHH rejected it - sent it back to my bank with no explanation, then claimed they never got it. I have screenshots from my banking statements and other communication from my bank proving payment was sent to the right place and on time. Now I get these phone calls from call center in India I cannot understand and they claim to be from PHH but demands I give them account info when they call me - sounds like a scam. WORST COMPANY EVER, well, maybe apart from Land Home Financial, Chase, or well, I'm running out of options...

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Worst customer service not just once but almost every time I call. I wish I would've read reviews before doing business with this company. Oh wait my loan was sold to them and I've had nothing but trouble every since.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

PMI removal and multiple delays in processing our loan modification -- We were in anticipation of have our PMI removed soon as the interest-bearing part of our modified loan is at 81.8% LTV. We also have a post loan mod document stating LTV was at 88%. When we received a document on 3/23/2016 stating our LTV is at 96.4% in response to our request to have PMI removed. We were completely "surprised" unfavorably at what they were trying to do here. We feel completely trapped in a $333/month PMI payment to United Guaranty through PHH Mortgage's apparent and then blatant violation of RESPA. Or else why would the amount be so much if it wasn't being divided up among the entities involved? Per our mortgage documents the two balances should remain separate for such calculations.

Also note on this sheet that not only is it the wrong principal balance but also, but it is the wrong language as to what is defined as "late" for their reasons for the denial of the PMI removal. They say "late payments made in the last 12 months," not "late payments of 30 days or more" as it should read. They have been doing things like these mentioned ever since we even tried to get a loan modification, now they are trying the method of attaching the interest-bearing amount to the non-interest bearing amount which is unfair and makes it eon impossible to remove PMI. Just disgusting greed on their part.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I wish I would have check reviews before getting involved with PHH. The loan consultant would NEVER return my emails or voicemail. On more than one occasion, lost my paperwork and I had to resend it. It's been 5 months and we still haven't closed on the loan. I emailed the supervisor and was told, "thanks for the feedback." Nothing was done to get the loan consultant to do his job. I will never use PHH again. And I'm telling everyone NOT to use them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

If you happen to have a loan with them and figure why not refinance, DON'T DO IT. I just had the worst experience where they stalled and ran out the clock on my rate lock even though they had all of my documentation and tried to bait and switch me into a higher rate. Then they charge me a $600 non refundable application fee to add insult to injury after wasting months of my time. Make sure you go to a loan broker who you can trust and they will source you a loan from many trustworthy sources. This one is the worst and lesson learned, there is no efficiency in refinancing with who you already have a loan with.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Do not do business with this institution! Their customer service is HORRENDOUS. They never call back. The people are incompetent and just stonewall you to death. My mortgage was sold to them with my knowledge which is not an uncommon event. They reached out to me last for a refinancing. They have no clue what documents they need. Instead of asking for everything all at once, they drag it out making the process tortuous. We ask them if they need anything else and their response is: "No we have everything we need." A week later they ask for something else. They dragged this commitment process over 4 months causing our rate to expire and now they want to increase the rate from 3.65% to 4.45%! It is criminal. You have been warned.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

I started the process 10/12/16... They asked for follow-up paperwork, which was always returned within 24 hours. It was supposed to close early January. I called Matt **, he said he would extend the terms and escalate it. It's now mid-January and there is no return calls or emails. I paid $600 for appraisal and put in many hours and time into this. How do they get away with this? The second round of paperwork increased the closing costs significantly.

PHH Mortgage Company Information