PHH Mortgage

Compare Mortgage Companies

Research top Mortgage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

PHH is the absolute worst mortgage company that you can imagine. From their horrible mismanagement and disorganization during the underwriting process to the complete and utter lack of customer service in returning our escrow funds. They have done nothing but give my wife and I the runaround. A normal phone call involves waiting on hold for 45 minutes to 2 hours, speaking with 10 or more people (none of which have any answers, or the ability to remedy your issue), lack of accountability in recording any real notes from calls (unless it benefits PHH) etc.

I am now 100% aware of why Key Bank has severed their relation-** with this company. My wife and I will be refinancing as soon as is humanly possible to get out from under this grossly unprofessional operation. FAIR WARNING: If you find that your underwriters are with PHH, go to a different lender. Run, run as fast as you can to someone else. PHH is the stuff that the Devil's nightmares are made of!

I have had my home on automatic payments for 4 years and just realized that PHH stopped taking my payments in February this year (2017). I started getting weird letters in the mail from a loan care company that I did not understand. Then looked at my account to pay and catch up and it won't process my payment because "function is unavailable". I am unimpressed with the lack of communication and my wife was shocked when someone showed up at our house and served us with foreclosure notices... How can I pay if I'm not able to pay or get through to pay this mysterious entity...

My mortgage was sold to PHH mortgage and it has been a nightmare ever since. They continuously lose your paperwork. Due to a family emergency I missed one mortgage payment. The next month they wanted 2 payments they raised my payment 374.00 a month. I was told to apply for homeowner's assistance. They kept losing my paperwork. After 3 months I called to pay what I owed, I was told it was in an attorney's hands. They would not accept my payment. The Atty wanted 2000. I was declined assistance. Was told to appeal and was declined for a totally different reason than the first one.

When I called NY case worker she wanted me to sell my house that I had for 19 years. I declined. I owed 3000 which I had. I didn't have the Atty fees. I was told to get money from my 401k or borrow from my life insurance policy. I told the rep the only way I could get the money from my life insurance was if I was dead. Without my knowledge she called my local police dept and said I was suicidal. I had 3 police officers come to my house and asked me if I wanted to harm myself, which I said no because I didn't. This was done in front of my 2 and 8 year old granddaughters. This company is an absolute nightmare.

I am a court volunteer and I serve as a guardian and conservator. I become appointed by a probate judge, for the elderly or for people who have been deemed incompetent to handle their finances and sometimes all decision making. I have had to try and work with PHH Mortgage, when some of the individuals that I have been appointed to, have PHH as their mortgage holder. I write a letter to PHH with my certified letters of authority with the court order. They have chosen to ignore this court order time and again and refuse to acknowledge that the individual I am serving in this capacity has been deemed incompetent to handle their financial affairs and in some cases, not able to make any decisions on their own anymore.

With the current case I have, I have been trying since January 2017 to get PHH to acknowledge the borrower (my ward) is an incapacitated individual. I have sent the court orders 3 times, have called several times and they still will not talk to me, change billing address or send payment coupons to me. Most of my individuals I serve are, the elderly that have been taken advantage of, suffer from dementia and are already scared they are losing everything. In many cases, these individuals have not paid their bills and may even be delinquent on their mortgage payment putting them at risk of foreclosure or already in foreclosure.

With companies like PHH, that refuse to acknowledge a court order and appointment of conservator, make these individuals more terrified they will lose their home. What is wrong PHH mortgage? Don't the get it! Do they not know a court order when they get one? I will be writing one more letter today, stating that if they do not acknowledge my appointment, I am filing a motion and order to show cause. Let them explain to the judge why they are refusing his order.

I have had difficulty with PHH Mortgage since my mortgage was sold to them four years ago. They recently sent me a letter stating that they were notified that my home was vacant and it is not. We currently owe $112,000 and our property was appraised at $187,000 for our refinance four years ago. It seems PHH mortgage tends to "bully" its customers and find ways to gain a property by unethical ways. I would not recommend anyone to get a mortgage from PHH mortgage. They are not an ethical company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

They have been a nightmare after a couple of months after I closed for my first home. Random fees, surprise overages, made up numbers in shortages and the list goes on. Even worse is their foreign call center. Worst of all is that they don't even listen to what you have to say. I explained to them what my problem was with extremely high shortages even though I did escrow. My taxes went up by $76 dollars and all of a sudden my shortage was $5,800. I called to have them explain what is the shortage is for if it was only $76 dollars. Their unforgettable answer was... "YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY THAT!" I asked them to explain and they just kept telling me was "YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY THAT!"

This is a factual representation of my experiences. Dual tracking and extensive paperwork denied our mod the first time and we hired a document processor then. They finally accepted it after 8 months. They told us not to pay or we wouldn't even be considered for a modification. Dragged their feet and delayed timely processing of the mod. Predatory lending practices and discrimination because of the ridiculously high PMI. I had good credit and so did my co-signer, but I am dark skinned. Redlining just to name a few.

PHH sold my mortgage to another company. Then reported that I was missing my payments because I was sending payment to new lender. These people are idiots. It does no good to try to talk to them. I do not think they understand English.

Have proof that my bank sent payment to the right place and on time. PHH rejected it - sent it back to my bank with no explanation, then claimed they never got it. I have screenshots from my banking statements and other communication from my bank proving payment was sent to the right place and on time. Now I get these phone calls from call center in India I cannot understand and they claim to be from PHH but demands I give them account info when they call me - sounds like a scam. WORST COMPANY EVER, well, maybe apart from Land Home Financial, Chase, or well, I'm running out of options...

Worst customer service not just once but almost every time I call. I wish I would've read reviews before doing business with this company. Oh wait my loan was sold to them and I've had nothing but trouble every since.

PMI removal and multiple delays in processing our loan modification -- We were in anticipation of have our PMI removed soon as the interest-bearing part of our modified loan is at 81.8% LTV. We also have a post loan mod document stating LTV was at 88%. When we received a document on 3/23/2016 stating our LTV is at 96.4% in response to our request to have PMI removed. We were completely "surprised" unfavorably at what they were trying to do here. We feel completely trapped in a $333/month PMI payment to United Guaranty through PHH Mortgage's apparent and then blatant violation of RESPA. Or else why would the amount be so much if it wasn't being divided up among the entities involved? Per our mortgage documents the two balances should remain separate for such calculations.

Also note on this sheet that not only is it the wrong principal balance but also, but it is the wrong language as to what is defined as "late" for their reasons for the denial of the PMI removal. They say "late payments made in the last 12 months," not "late payments of 30 days or more" as it should read. They have been doing things like these mentioned ever since we even tried to get a loan modification, now they are trying the method of attaching the interest-bearing amount to the non-interest bearing amount which is unfair and makes it eon impossible to remove PMI. Just disgusting greed on their part.

I wish I would have check reviews before getting involved with PHH. The loan consultant would NEVER return my emails or voicemail. On more than one occasion, lost my paperwork and I had to resend it. It's been 5 months and we still haven't closed on the loan. I emailed the supervisor and was told, "thanks for the feedback." Nothing was done to get the loan consultant to do his job. I will never use PHH again. And I'm telling everyone NOT to use them.

If you happen to have a loan with them and figure why not refinance, DON'T DO IT. I just had the worst experience where they stalled and ran out the clock on my rate lock even though they had all of my documentation and tried to bait and switch me into a higher rate. Then they charge me a $600 non refundable application fee to add insult to injury after wasting months of my time. Make sure you go to a loan broker who you can trust and they will source you a loan from many trustworthy sources. This one is the worst and lesson learned, there is no efficiency in refinancing with who you already have a loan with.

Do not do business with this institution! Their customer service is HORRENDOUS. They never call back. The people are incompetent and just stonewall you to death. My mortgage was sold to them with my knowledge which is not an uncommon event. They reached out to me last for a refinancing. They have no clue what documents they need. Instead of asking for everything all at once, they drag it out making the process tortuous. We ask them if they need anything else and their response is: "No we have everything we need." A week later they ask for something else. They dragged this commitment process over 4 months causing our rate to expire and now they want to increase the rate from 3.65% to 4.45%! It is criminal. You have been warned.

I started the process 10/12/16... They asked for follow-up paperwork, which was always returned within 24 hours. It was supposed to close early January. I called Matt **, he said he would extend the terms and escalate it. It's now mid-January and there is no return calls or emails. I paid $600 for appraisal and put in many hours and time into this. How do they get away with this? The second round of paperwork increased the closing costs significantly.

Who has a company website called mortgagequestions.com? Someone trying to hide who they are and prevent access to their customer service team. This is a perfect example of PHH. They will not allow you to speak to a human without wading through acres of phone trees. They purposefully try to prevent refis and removal of PMI by making homeowners go through unnecessary hoops including snail mail letter requests followed by illegal denials without any means of recourse or feedback. They pioneered illegal calisthenics. If you ever do reach a live body they are rude and uninterested in what you call for. They want to get you off the phone and take your payment. The worst mortgage servicer I have ever had and I own 5 homes and have experienced at least a dozen mortgage servicers.

I only wish that I could have read the reviews before I decided to go ahead and used PHH for my refinancing. They are incompetent! I applied for a refi back in April and they have been torturing us since. My loan is $200,000 against a $2,200,000 appraisal. I have a 790 credit credit. They have held my mortgage for 17 years with every payment being made on the 1st of the month without exception. We surpass the income test by many multiples... but they still have not approved but they keep asking for more information, more statements. They never call back. It's pathetic. I keep wanting to cancel and go with another lender, but I keep thinking that I am so close, why should I start this process with another lender. DO NOT GO NEAR THIS INSTITUTION! As I said, I wish I could have looked at these reviews before I spent the past 8 months wasting my time and energy and still no commitment.

I have had four mortgages and this company is hands down THE WORST. Their goal seems to be to stall, delay, and otherwise not help. The customer service people on the phone won't even verify a physical mailing address. I called about requesting removal of PMI and I dealt with two different people who refused to assist. I emailed with someone the week before last week who said they had to mail something. It never came. I am finally to the point where I am interested in consulting an attorney if my PMI isn't removed by next week. This company needs to be investigated. No stars, but the system will not allow.

Our lender sold our loan to PHH mortgage, and it has been nothing but a nightmare. They offered to refinance for VETS and then the Vet Administration OK'd our loan, but PHH denied it. They don't like our property, but they hold the original loan! We have NEVER had a late payment and have an incredibly high credit score. They have been rude, sloppy, disrespectful, and dishonest. NEVER, EVER DEAL WITH PHH MORTGAGE!!!

PHH called me, an existing customer, offering a refi opp in MAY 2016. It is now Dec 2016 and I am still being "stalled". Each agent "forgot" one document needed, that agent left the company or was "out sick" then another agent would contact me stating they needed more info. Promises to call me back, and to keep me updated did NOT happen. I told them they were no doubt stalling til end of yr so the refi was no longer beneficial to me, w/ rising interest rates. SEVEN months and it's still not happening. Now they write that they might have to cancel! Now they tell me? Communication with customer is poor.

Tomorrow I am going to my bank to stop payment. I will not give them 1 more dime. Last house my payment in 3 yrs. never went up. This house that PHH has the loan 2 times has gone up. The only way is if my payment goes back down to the payment before. They say taxes and insurance. I will go back to renting. It is not the end of the world. I hope Trump drains this swamp. Stop your payment today.

I decided to go with PHH Mortgage to refinance because they held my original mortgage. WHAT A MISTAKE. It stated in June with a phone call to refinance, it ended in September with two closing. This company has no clue regarding customer service and completed a mortgage in a timely manner. I am a real estate agent and if this happened to my client I would have told them to run. I was told that if I didn't go through with my mortgage I was going to have to pay a application fee for almost 600.00. I kept telling them I didn't want to go forward and they told me to hold on. The mortgage is soon to go to closing.

To make a long story short I finally closed in September. Now it is November and I received a letter that my escrow account is in default and I owe them more mortgage, plus I also receive a letter that they forgot to have me sign a Notice of Cancel Form. If I sign this form I will have to pay the entire mortgage and start all over. I AM NOW IN A BIND. I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO CANCEL THIS MORTGAGE. DO NOT USE THIS PHH MORTGAGE COMPANY.

Like many others who have written on this site, I have had an extremely bad experience with PHH, the most egregious being the negligence on their part of protecting my financial information in the process of obtaining a mortgage. I have written to Texas Congressman, Jeb Hensarling, head of the House Financial Services Committee, regarding the numerous and investigation-worthy issues I encountered as a consumer. I hope my concerns will be addressed at the highest levels as PHH is a multibillion-dollar company with the financial resources and clout to fight any legal issues they face, and even the government as their most recent case shows against the CFPB.

I agree with many of the other reviews on this site. PHH is difficult to contact. They do not return calls. They are great at creating excuses for delays. I am hopeful that the refinance process that I started in August will finish next week (Nov). This has been a game of hurry up and wait. I was hoping to do a quick refinance to lower my payment which would help my monthly budget. Instead, I have upped my frustration and maybe my blood pressure dealing with PHH. I hope this process is completed and I also hope to not have created an ongoing nightmare consisting of endless calls and note taking on the phone with PHH. Knowing what I know now, I would have just sucked it up and kept paying my higher mortgage payment.

My mortgage company sold my loan to this company and I have nothing positive to say about them. I tried to sell my property but the market was upside down so I tried for a short sale. Well, I put the paperwork for short sale which was approved in Jan. It is Oct. I have harassing phone calls every day and night. They have rejected 4 offers on the property, I have been through 7 case managers. I have at least 200 pieces of paper that I have received in the mail for updating my account, which I diligently do. But after faxing the paperwork off several times and them stating they haven't received it I have to certify snail mail everything.

I am now trying for a deed in lieu but this is even worse. I am pre approved and now I have been on hold back and forth for 20 minutes because they say once again they don't have my documentation. Oh, and they need my preapproval, which is me stating I want a deed in lieu, okay I am on the phone saying I want one people! Anything to get rid of this house. I have tried everything and kept in contact with them more than them me, but my credit took a 200 point dive and there seems to be no end in site. I have owned this house for 10 years and I can't believe the horrible customer service of this place. Thank god my other house has a mortgage through a reputable bank.

UNFORTUNATELY, OUR ORIGINAL MORTGAGE COMPANY SOLD (TRANSFERRED) OUR LOAN TO PHH MORTGAGE. We have had nothing but frustration ever since. We paid for 1 years insurance on our home 2 months ago and our insurance premiums are escrowed (!) but we got a letter from PHH that said our insurance had expired and they were going to buy insurance for us! Our insurance agent assures us that our insurance has never expired and is completely in place and up to date!

Plus, we tried to go online to set up automatic draft payments, but when we register it rejects the registration with the error code that says the password doesn't meet guidelines! Guidelines say 7 or more characters with letters and numbers only and must have at least one of each. We have tried 5 different combinations within those guidelines and they are always rejected. And, you can't just change the password when it's rejected. You have to go back and fill in the complete registration all over again!

I finally used screwyou1 which is within the guidelines and it too was rejected! I get the distinct feeling that this is only the beginning of sorrows with this company. Next step: I'll send the payment priority mail with a tracking number so I know darn well they got my payment ON TIME! If they hold it and make it late I will at least have some recourse with the credit bureaus! Even though our mortgage is only a few weeks old, we are now looking to refinance to get away from PHH Mortgage! PLEASE avoid this company like the plague that it is!

I received a phone call from PHH mortgage stating that I could refinance my home loan which would lower my rate and payment. This process has went on for about 4 months. I have emails showing that I would be able to skip 2 payments if I refinanced with them. Well 4 months later this process is still in the process. My wife and I signed closing paperwork around 2 weeks ago, then received a call that we needed to resign the paperwork due to an error on PHH's behalf. Due to me being told that I could skip 2 payments I didn't make them and now PHH has reported to the credit bureau that I have a payment over 30 days due.

Mine and my wife's credit has been ruined due to PHH not upholding their end of the deal. I would recommend people finance with the devil prior to even thinking about PHH. They never return your phone calls, tell you information that is untrue, call you everything but a liar and ruin your credit. I will be visiting my lawyers office today. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM PHH MORTGAGE!!!

All I want to do is switch my autopay to another account, and it's been a very long headache. First they refused to tell me how to do it, then they said I would have to fax my bank statements for the new account - which is ridiculous. Now, they're sending me an account statement in 7 to 10 days. So much hassle.

I tried to refinance with other Bank, but PHH Mortgage never refund my escrow balance. I didn't pay the mortgage, waiting to refinance. The next month I received the mortgage statement with an amount due $1415.72, this includes two months. I send a check for this amount and considered only one payment. It is ridiculous. It is a bank or a group of rovers looking for easy money. I don't have a good opinion about your bank. I don't recommend this bank to anybody.

Many hidden fees. Ambiguous closing cost estimate - could be this, or that, or some other random number. They lock you into the refi as you are responsible for fees if you back out, then the pain begins. Numerous underwriters and processors, they each ask for the same things over and over. They are EST and will call you at 9:00 their time, regardless of what time zone you are in.

After a month, when you are fully invested in the refi and obligated, suddenly something comes up and the refi may not go through. So you have to answer more questions and provide more evidence and it all drags out even though you are expected to give them whatever they want immediately. I cannot wait to get this done, and in time, get rid of these idiots. Absolutely passive-aggressive. I wonder if they want you to back out and just pay the fees. I am worried that there will be a cluster ** with the fees at closing and I will owe a lot more than they have said. How are these dopes still in business? AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.

PHH Mortgage Company Profile