1.66/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years, PHH Mortgage has helped countless homebuyer and homeowners find financing solutions. PHH strictly focuses on subservicing and portfolio retention to allow their diverse professional clients concentrate on their core businesses, while providing borrowers with exceptional customer service at every level. Whether you are looking to purchase a new home or refinance your current mortgage, PHH offers a wide variety of loan options, including HARP, conventional, VA, FHA, and Jumbo. Talk to one of their experienced loan officers today to get started.

541 PHH Mortgage Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 11, 2019

My mortgage was just transferred from Ocwen to PHH on June 1, 2019. ALL I can say is that so far is, Yes I can see that Ocwen is still there standing with PHH on our behalf. Last year in 2018 we was approved for a loan modification when a illness that cause a hardship to take place. The HAMP program was able to modify our mortgage at a much lower interest rate of 2% that made our monthly payments more affordable..

In March of 2019 there was another hardship but Ocwen was able to set us up on a forbearance plan and we still had fallen behind so we was able to pay what we could at that time.. But Ocwen did not give up, they notify us about PHH transfer. We didn't give up, we prayed because we was now 5 months behind. So I contact PHH and every person that I talked to was so nice. They answered all my questions, they ask me when can we make the payment in full. PHH customer service made me feel like Ocwen is still there. I THANK YOU so much Ocwen/PHH mortgage for still being here for us....

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Pamela. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about Ocwen/PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2019

After reading all the negative experiences, I was honestly nervous about calling. I never had a problem with Ocwen other than the occasional language barrier but talking to the PHH representative was the easiest I have made in over ten years of having this loan. I was able to talk to her in less than two minutes, I am not joking. The lady was very nice and gave me all the information I needed to pay the loan. I was expecting after reading the other reviews that they were going to try to get me to mail it, which was no way going to happen or make it difficult to pay but she was great. I'm truly sorry other people had so many issues as I have been in their shoes from time to time with Ocwen, not often but it had happened. So far this company I really highly recommend.

Also I never do reviews. I know you see that from people but I really don't generally take the time because I don't have a strong enough opinion one way or another. The only reason I wrote this one was because of the huge amount of negative reviews that made me almost feel sick to my stomach to even call because I figured this was gonna be a long wait, a rude, unhelpful or someone I couldn't understand on the other line and it went fine.

PHH Mortgage response

Robin, thank you for your positive review and recommendation! It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about the great customer service you received from Jennifer. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I had a question about my mortgage account. The person I spoke with was very helpful and patient, describing to me in detail what steps I had to take to accomplish my task. I would recommend PHH to family and friends for their excellent customer service.

PHH Mortgage response

Kathleen, thank you for your positive review and recommendation! We appreciate your business, and we are delighted to hear of the excellent customer service you have received from PHH.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Communicating with PHH was always professional and courteous. I was never told that paying off my mortgage was costly with all kinds of fees. However, the customer service representative did congratulate me. So far I have yet to receive a pay off letter, nor did I know that my title would be sent from my county. I paid my loan off in December and so far have received nothing. Kind of frustrating.

PHH Mortgage response

Cherie, I would also like to say congratulations on paying off your mortgage! Thank you for sharing the positive feedback about our customer service representatives. We do apologize for the frustration you experienced during the payoff process. If see you were able to speak with one of our agents this week, but if you need additional assistance, please send us a private message and someone in our Ombudsman group will contact you.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

The Customer Service was very nice, patient and informative! However, the policy that does not permit me to pay my mortgage on the 16th (I am ONLY paid once a month on the 16th) without being penalized is AWFUL! I have NEVER been late but that will change since my loan was sold to your company. I was offered the option to pay twice a month to break up the payments but that doesn't work since I am ONLY paid once a month on the 16th! It seems no matter how hard I work on doing the right thing, NOTHING seems to work in my favor!

PHH Mortgage response

Jewell, thank you for the kind words regarding our customer service rep. We do take all feedback seriously, and we are forwarding your review to our Ombudsman team to see if there's anything that can be done to resolve this for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: June 13, 2019

My mortgage was transferred to PHH 6/1/19, @ a critical point and they did nothing to attempt to assist me. I would love to take this matter up legally, due to the erroneous info used in foreclosing on my property.

PHH Mortgage response

Carla, we take all feedback seriously, and we are having someone look into this. We will be in contact with you.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My account was taken over from OCWEN on June 1st. I was unsure if my mortgage payment was going to be automatically deducted as I just cancelled that function because my pay date this month is the day after the payment was originally scheduled. Well I tried to call for the last 2 days an average of 4 different times a days and waited an average of 30 minutes holding with no one answering.

Finally yesterday just before 8:30 pm the 3rd day after holding for 28 minutes, someone came on the line. So because I “called the day before the automatic deduction was scheduled” I was told there was nothing they could do to change the date meaning the payment could possibly not be honored and mess up my perfect payment record. Unfortunately since I was so frustrated at that point because it took so long to speak to someone, I admit I was rude and for that I apologize. I have never been late and am scared about my first payment through this company. Hopefully the online website and personal customer service will improve.

PHH Mortgage response

Karen, we sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced in attempting to reach us following the transition from Ocwen and for the resulting frustration. We take customer feedback seriously, and we do appreciate the opportunity to improve our customer service. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members, and they will be reaching out to you regarding this.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Dealing with Ocwen was a nightmare, but we learned to deal with them and we lived peacefully with them screwing up our account and then us calling them apologizing and then fixing it, over and over. We got the letter that PHH was taking over and the husband and I took to the internet and seen they had a 2 star rating. *eye roll* LOVELY!! We sent a check in to Ocwen for our second mortgage, overnighted it and tracking number. Come Monday and it's takeover day. The phones go unanswered (at least Ocwen answered their phones) and we keep getting "we are having technical difficulties." So we gave a few days to calm down. Call again Wed. FINALLY someone answers the phone, couldn't find the check. Was very argumentative with the hubby instead of being understanding that we were a bit concerned that this check has disappeared.

Flash forward to this morning (6/12). Call and get "Rob" and he answered the phone only have 5 min of waiting. BUT Rob, can't help us, he has to transfer us to the "heal up" division. WHAT is this? He wouldn't explain and said "please hold", we were on hold for a while and then it just hung up. *sighs* C'mon I thought there was no one out there worse than Ocwen, we were wrong. All we wanted is this check to be applied "PROPERLY" to our second mortgage, easy peasy. PHH dropped the ball in the first 2 weeks of handling this situation. Maybe if it works out we will withdrawn this review but you know what they say, "you can only make ONE first impression." And our First impression of PHH is MEH! :(

PHH Mortgage response

Deanna, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members so they can research the receipt of your check and follow up with you.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I truly appreciated the willfulness and the service provided by the tech support in resolving my issue. Thanks for the exemplary services that was provided and also, the tech was very mannerable and professional in representing your company.

Original review: June 13, 2019

We started the loan modification process Jan. 27, 2019 with Ocwen. We were turned down but re-applied with more income information. We contacted (or tried to contact) Ocwen numerous times, but the loan was not resolved by June 1 when PHH took over. Our loan payment has jumped from about $1,600 a month to approximately $3,250. We followed instructions to wait 7 days after June 1 to contact PHH. Here is what happened from June 7 until today, June 12:

6-7-2019 – Called re loan modification and PHH login help. Couldn’t log in. The person I talked with said they’d connect me with the website people but after about 20 or 30 seconds, the call ended. Didn’t get the rep’s ID. – 25 minutes; 6-7-2019 – Called again to try to talk to website people. On hold for 8 minutes so I am calling another customer service number – 800-210-8849 – Spoke to Edgar, ID **. He tried to transfer me to our relationship manager. RM didn’t answer. Edgar said only our relationship manager, Robin **, can talk with us, no one else. Suggested calling Monday because Robin doesn’t work on Saturdays. 800-750-2518, ext ** (which turned out to be the wrong number).

Next I talked with a web person (Jen – **) because I had trouble logging in. Fixed it. 30 minutes. 6-10-19 – Called for Robin **, but he wasn’t available. Scheduled appointment for Tuesday, 6-11-19. He will call between noon and 2 p.m. 6-11-19 – No call from Robin **. Sent him an email. Called again. Spoke with Norial (ID **). She said Robin **’s extension # is **, not ** as Edgar told me. Got shuttled back and forth. Spoke to Norlene (ID **) who tried to put me through to Robin **. Spoke with Edgar (ID ** or **). Asked to speak with supervisor. Edgar emailed the supervisor and someone is supposed to call within 24 hours. Spent about 90 minutes on the phone. 6-12-19 – No call from Robin ** or anyone else. It’s now 7:30 p.m. in New Jersey. Logged into our PHH Mortgage online account and tried to access the “Homeowner’s Assistance Portal,” but that apparently takes a DIFFERENT password which I don’t have.

I got this message: “You are about to access a secure website that will help you submit and process your request for assistance with your mortgage - i.e. loan modification, short sale, etc. By clicking 'OK' you are leaving MortgageQuestions.com and entering a website owned, controlled and operated by a third party. This link has been provided for your convenience for submitting information for review.” I understand this is a transitional time, made worse by the layoff of 2,000 employees when Ocwen and PHH were combined. However, we should at least get a forbearance for a few months and be allowed to make our former payment amount until this all gets sorted out. Thank you.

PHH Mortgage response

Dennis, thank you for your understanding following the transition from Ocwen to PHH. We do take our customer's feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members so they can review your account and contact you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2019

I paid my mortgage off in April. Ocwen received everything needed to process this before the merger. Unfortunately, that did not happen! I lost everything in a house fire in February and am trying to get my builder to start work on the replacement house. However, the payoff statement has not been sent to my county clerk yet and my contractor can't start work until that statement is posted on my deed. It should not take 60-plus days for this to happen. Today, I spoke with Sanjay at PHH. He is the first person to offer me any type of assistance at PHH. He says I'll have everything finalized within the next 4-5 work days (I'm praying he is correct). In all my years with Ocwen I've never been this frustrated... I thought PHH was now a sister company... Why the difference in how mortgages are handled? Except for how well I was treated by Sanjay, I would have left a 1 star rating.

PHH Mortgage response

Victoria, we sincerely apologize for the frustration you have experienced. We are glad to hear Sanjay was able to assist you; however, if you should need additional assistance or have any other concerns, please send a private message with the details and we'll have one of our team members contact you.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I called PHH because I had new charges that came up on our bill, I waited for 55 minutes to even talk to someone then when I got someone on the phone they told me I wasn’t a authorized user! I told them I’ve lived in this home 18 years and have been a authorized user since day one! They still wouldn’t answer any questions so I got my husband and he still said he couldn’t answer my questions. Finally after my husband got mad he said he could do it this one time.

I told him about the charges and he said they were just transferred from Ocwen so there was nothing he could do and I said I wasn’t paying something that I didn’t owe and all he gave me was a fax number to write a letter! After I had been on the phone for a hour and a half. So I tell him I want to make a payment because the Doxo pmt was trying to charge me 22 dollars and he hung up on me! So nothing got resolved, he was no help and didn’t have a clue what to do! They really need to train their workers better if they are going to be having their customers wait 1.5 hours on the phone!!

PHH Mortgage response

Diane, PHH takes all feedback very seriously, and we apologize for the excessive hold time you experienced. We appreciate both the opportunity to improve our service and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members so they can contact you regarding the new charges on your statement.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Due to the recent "transition" from Ocwen to PHH Mortgage, my A&H/impounded Life Insurance payments have NOT been posted to my Life Insurance company for the last six months (Jan. - June 2019), thus making my Life Insurance policy lapse in the process for "non-payment", and so far not ONE customer service representative can NOT understand the frustration I am going through.

After a hold time between 25-71 minutes, they seem not to know what department handles their Accidental & Health (A&H), and cold transfer to another department who has NO idea what this is about. I was told by agent Gia (Ref# **), that she will submit this to be researched, and expect a response within five business days... Well, it's now ten business days, and still NO response, so I am expecting a refund reimbursement for these last six months of this so-called A&H line item listed on my statement, so I can renew my Life Insurance policy, and sleep easier at night.

PHH Mortgage response

Jose, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been on hold over an hour to only be transferred. I'm trying to get home retention and can't get through. My relationship manager is not available. I can't get any response and need answers. RUDE.

PHH Mortgage response

Danielle, we sincerely apologize for your experience and the lengthy hold times you encountered today. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members so they can review the account and contact you.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I have been trying to get insurance money, and it has been a comedy of error. I have sent the same forms in several times. I have spoken with numerous customer service agents, all of which have given me different information. I just had a 90% inspection done, and was told the rest of my funds ($100, 000) would be released as long as there was no structural damage still needing to be repaired. Now I'm being told I can't get any of that money because my cabinets are not in. Cabinets are not "structural". My contractor can't do anymore work without money...

I'm paying $3000/ month out of pocket to stay at an airbnb, in addition to my mortgage payment. I will have to file bankruptcy. The house I'm rebuilding is worth 3 times that amount I owe on my loan, but they are withholding the funds that will allow me to complete the final 10% of building. There is no one but the customer service agent that I can contact. They have "put in an exception", but there is no way of knowing if and when that might be approved. I have never been this frustrated and appalled at the level of horrible customer care.

PHH Mortgage response

Jessica, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: June 11, 2019

For the past three months I have been contacting PHH since I was transferred from Ocwen. I needed to remove PMI from my mortgage and that turned into almost a two month ordeal. Next I contacted them because my payment was reduced around $250 a month. They were only taking $112 a month from my payment for escrow and my city taxes alone are $2300/year, they can’t seem to understand addiction or subtraction.

On two occasions so far I was sent a check for additional funds in my escrow account, only to call again to notify them my escrow account wouldn’t have enough funds by the time they were needed. It seemed to be fixed at one point. However by the time the payment was processed the amount had changed again and the extra funds were added to additional principal, leaving my escrow account short and my final payment to my taxes are due mid month July. I have been on hold for 57 minutes so far as I type this and have gone through this many times since March. I’m not really excited about having to pay around $1000 to refinance to another bank but it seems to be the easier option. PHH, don’t bother, your payoff will be on the way shortly.

PHH Mortgage response

Kevin, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for the time you spent on hold and the issues you've experienced with your escrow account. In an effort to resolve the escrow issue, your information has been forwarded to one of our team members, so they can review your account and contact you.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My mortgage was put in the modification plan in December of 2018, then transferred to PHH Mortgage. I have made every payment for 6 months and have not received final paperwork. My credit rating is getting dinged for late payments because PHH has not applied them to my loan. They do not answer the phone and refuse to deal with you via email. I have waited over 75 minutes on hold several times and still no pick up. You have to speak to a case manager, no one else will assist you. No case manager is ever available.

PHH Mortgage response

Carol, we apologize for your recent experience with PHH. Your feedback is important to us, and we have requested that a member of our team review your account and follow up with you.

Original review: June 11, 2019

The problem initially started while my mortgage was still serviced by Ocwen, 2/2019. I switched insurance companies. I received a refund from the insurance and then sent the refund to the escrow department at Ocwen. I gave Ocwen the new policy information to be paid from the escrow account. This is a common occurrence; I have done the process 1 other time. I did my part and expected that it would be handled correctly. Ocwen did not pay the new policy and within days PHH took over.

I waited a few days to contact PHH because of the merger. About a week after assuming my mortgage, PHH had no other information other than my loan number. OK, I am understanding and patient so I wait. About a month later and multiple phone calls, the policy was paid and I was given the address to send in my monthly mortgage payment. PHH escrow department could not yet see the refund that I had sent to Ocwen's escrow.

Another month, I log on to send the second payment and realize that the first payment was not received even though it cleared my bank. I call PHH and they have no record of the payment and said that the address (provided by PHH employee) was not their address and someone else cashed my check. After doing my own research online and on their website, I discovered that the mortgage payment went to PHH escrow department.

I call them back, explain the situation, and send an online payment to the correct address that day to avoid any late charges. I requested that they apply the first payment towards my mortgage payment. I had already refunded the escrow the month prior. I was told that it could take 10 days but never really does so not to worry. I receive a letter about the request. I wait more than 10 days, call back, and it was not fixed. I was assured, again, that in 24-48 hours it would be fixed.

Call back in 2 days not fixed. So this has been the norm for the last month. I call, they assure it will be fixed. I spoke to a supervisor who promised a resolution and requested that I send bank statements for the previous 3 months. I can see the payments made on PHH website so I am unsure why bank statements are necessary. I can only fax, no email, leaving me without a paper trail that a fax was sent or received. I call back to make a complaint and am given an email address to send the statements to and an assurance that it will be fixed that day and I will receive a follow-up call the following Monday. Never received a call. I call back later in the day to be told that I had only requested the payment reversal once (3 times in actuality), that I had been given an email address for home modifications, and that I need to call back in 24-48 hours to check for an update and see if they received the fax.

It is odd that there is a balance for my escrow account considering more money was applied to it between March and April than it costs per year. Every phone number that I have called goes to the exact same place with the same intro and "case managers" answering the phone. The employee today gave me another contact number which went straight to a fax. The fax number given to me by the supervisor for the "research department" is different than the number on the letter that I received in the mail.

PHH Mortgage response

Alyssa, we're sorry to hear about your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members for a review of your account and they will be contacting you regarding this. Thank you.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I have now been on the phone for 1:44:16 and I have yet to speak with someone who can help me. Raj told me that I had called the wrong number because he doesn't do HELOC loans. Transferred me to a supervisor, Christopher, who said he couldn't help me. Only option was to be put back in the queue and wait for someone else. My loan was transferred from Ocwen. I was told that I would be able to make payments on line and nothing would change. It's now the 10th of the month and when I pull up my account it shows the balance of the loan but doesn't show how much the current monthly payment is, nor does it say when it's due.

While I understand that "during the 60 days around the transfer period there are no late charges and nothing is reported to the credit agencies" they are STILL charging me interest on the outstanding balance! This is absolutely insane! I asked for a number for the corporate offices and they informed me that the corporate office doesn't have phones. Christopher told me that there is nothing anyone can do to assist me. I informed him I am trying to give you money and you are refusing to take it. I said I can't believe that no one there is willing to take my money however they are fine with adding more interest on to the account.

And he said "I can't talk to you about your loan". He said "you should have called the correct number". I told him the only number on the website and any other communication I have is the number I called. He informed me that is correct because it's the main number. When I told him to go get a supervisor from the other area and have them talk to me, he said the policy is to only put you back in queue and you have to wait. There is no other option. This is the most insane thing I've ever heard of. I want to pay my bill, as I have for years, and you are refusing to take my money. Is this the way you make additional money? Refuse to take payments and let the interest add up? I am now at 1:55:14 and I still haven't been able to talk to anyone who can help me! My time is also valuable!!

PHH Mortgage response

Craig, we're sorry to hear about this experience with PHH and we sincerely apologize. Your review has been forwarded to our Ombudsman team, so they can review your account and contact you regarding this.

Original review: June 10, 2019

This company recently acquired the mortgage of my grandmother's house. She is on a fixed income. Because of such her taxes on the property are fixed as is the interest rate. Somehow however, when it switched companies her mortgage payment went up over $100 which is the money she uses for her prescriptions. We tried to contact the company 2x today. Each time we were on hold for 45 minutes to an hour and were hung up on each time before we could talk to anyone. This is beyond ridiculous and this company should be ashamed of themselves. DEFINITELY would not recommend.

PHH Mortgage response

Kalsy, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for the issues you have experienced yesterday with the lengthy hold times. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members so they can review the account and contact you and your grandmother.

Original review: June 10, 2019

My mortgage transferred to PHH on 6/1/2019 from Ocwen. I have attempted to login to my online account multiple times with the instructions that have been provided to no avail. I have tried calling PHH on multiple occasions only to be on hold for over an hour. After checking Consumer Affairs and seeing all the negative reviews I am very concerned as I have been with Ocwen for many years without issues getting in touch with customer service. If there are system issues or outages this needs to be a message to the customers. I would like to know if my payment has been received and posted and would like know what exactly is the process to check this information through your online account. This is not great customer service at this point and is very concerning to me.

PHH Mortgage response

Regina, we sincerely apologize for your experience and the lengthy hold times you encountered today. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members and they will contact you tomorrow to assist with your issues and questions. Thank you.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Recently our home loan was transferred to PHH Mortgage, what a nightmare! Unable to contact any service representative, won't answer phone calls. Never received any notification of our mortgage being transferred. Can't make a mortgage payment, Ocwen was terrible to deal with and now PHH is just as bad. Either you make contact with me in 24 hours or I will be in contact with my attorney. None of this BS about how you care about homeowners, I want results NOW!!

PHH Mortgage response

Richard & Vicki, we apologize for any issues you've experienced during this transition. Your account information has been forwarded to one of our team members to contact you regarding this.

Original review: June 10, 2019

PHH just took over our previous mortgage. All things so far has gone smoothly, spoke with a one of their Reps was very helpful and walked me through some of the process. Looking for continued outcome.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Linda, for taking the time to share your positive feedback. We are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I was with Ocwen Mortgage now to PHH - I was in a payment plan with Ocwen that somehow was not updated with PHH - I called PHH to get a better understanding and was told I needed to make 2 payments in order to be set up on another payment plan. NOT helpful at all. Also with Ocwen you could schedule a payment if you were late. This company does not allow it at all. I hope the experience gets better with this company, so far I am not impressed.

PHH Mortgage response

Mr. Carter, PHH takes customer feedback very seriously, and we apologize for any issues you've experienced during this transition. Your account information has been forwarded to one of our team members for a review of your account and they will be contacting you regarding this.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Ocwen is the worst at servicing Mortgage Loans. There are NEVER helpful in resolving issues that the borrower are having with just making a payment. Please beware if you are not able to make a payment for any reason. Please educate yourself on your rights in home ownership. They DO NOT WORK IN YOUR INTEREST. Ocwen is more interested in FORECLOSURES. They will jerk you around with the modification process until your only hope is filing bankruptcy. Ocwen/PHH is the worse company that I've ever dealt with. Now PHH is servicing my loan which still is an affiliate of Ocwen. The only way from these people will be for me to refinance my loan. And pray to God I don't get stuck back under this horrible company ever again.

PHH Mortgage response

Callie, we value your feedback and sincerely apologize for your experience. We appreciate the chance to improve our service and resolve any issues that our customers may have. I see you were able to speak with one our agents today, but if there is anything that you need assistance with, please send a private message with the details and we will contact you. Thank you.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Worst mortgage company ever, they have no idea what they are doing and you wait 15 minutes before you talk to someone. They tell you they have to talk to their co-workers. No supervisor ever. When they do get back on the phone they cannot explain anything to you and you end up being upset and frustrated. I was on the phone crying because I need some help and all Ebony could tell me is, “I’m sorry but you do not meet the qualifications for any of the assistances we offer but you do need some help.”

PHH Mortgage response

Kelly, we're sorry to hear about your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members for a review of your account and they will be contacting you regarding this. Thank you.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I had a mortgage with Ocwen for many years with no problems. My monthly payments were on time for years. Now without any notice, my mortgage was transferred to PHH Mortgage a subsidiary of Ocwen. Since the move from Ocwen I have been notified that my mortgage is 3 months late, even though I have never been late. Since I did not know of the move I kept making my payments to Ocwen instead of PHH mortgage.

I called PHH Mortgage and explained the situation that I was not late, but merely sent the payments to Ocwen. They said they would look into it and not to worry, it would take 3 months to work things out. I sent them bank statements providing proof that I had made my payments on time. On 6/8/2019 after discussing my problems with PHH Mortgage for over several weeks, I received a letter, a notice of intention to foreclose, that I owe $12,000 in arrears. This company is a mess, this merger is hurting a lot of people, destroying the credit of thousands of people, while they try to clean up the mess they created.

PHH Mortgage response

Raymond, we apologize for any issues you've experienced during this transition. Your account information has been forwarded to one of our team members for a review of your account and they will be contacting you regarding this.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Our home loan was transferred to PHH and oh my God, what a disaster it has been. They keep giving you the run-around after 25 minutes you have to initially wait to talk to a human. I asked did they receive a fax that we sent to them for tax exemption. The rep asks me what number did I send it to, date and time, what number did I fax it from. We have sent this fax three times. Each time, I was given a different fax number and was told by the next person that it was the wrong fax number. I said, "Either you have the document or you don't." So I asked for a manager and she put me on hold. Guess what, after 1 hour, 10 min and 57 seconds, I am still on hold. This company is...

PHH Mortgage response

Michelle, we sincerely apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members so they can research the fax and follow up with you on this.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I made an early payment and they posted it all to principal rather than my next month’s payment that was due. Because I get paid in the middle of a month I always need to pay 2 weeks early to avoid late penalties. The first time I spoke with someone they fixed the problem and assured me that from then on it would post correctly. The next month it happened again. I emailed them and did not get a response and I called two days in a row and sat on hold for an hour each day. Frustrated and needing to get on with duties I had to hang up. I have still not gotten the problem fixed. I cannot believe they do not have enough people to answer the phones and I think their website is not user friendly at all and their customer service is very poor.

PHH Mortgage response

Laurie, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information is being forwarded to one of our team members, so they can assist you with the issues you have experienced.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2019

I have a VA Loan with OCWEN but was transferred to PHH after the merger. My former wife and I divorced and now I'm trying to assume the mortgage alone which is no problem financially for me. The problem is I can't get any forms or paperwork from PHH to begin the process which I have previously requested through the customer service department. When I call it sounds suspiciously like I'm calling India. The persons answering the phone can't answer simple questions without placing me on hold for ten to fifteen minutes and then doesn't know the answer. Meanwhile, I've been waiting by the mailbox for six weeks now looking for the documents. I was told they don't use UPS, FedEx or even send documents by way of email. My ex thinks I'm dragging my feet on the assumption when I can't get any documents or answers from PHH Mortgage. I need to expedite the process now but I'm stuck in a process that I have no control over.

PHH Mortgage response

Donald, we take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members so they can review your account and follow up with you on the assumption request.

PHH Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company has options for VA, FHA, conventional and HARP loans. They also offer mortgage refinancing services. They offer loans to people with all types of credit. An experienced loan officer can help you determine what type of mortgage you should apply for.

• Online mortgage calculator: Use PHH Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to determine what monthly payment you can make based on your budget and existing debt.

• Apply online: Get started with your mortgage or refinance application online with PHH Mortgage’s easy online application.

• Fast and easy pre approval: Get preapproved for a mortgage quickly. This can let home sellers know that you’re serious about buying a house and prove that you can qualify for the mortgage to cover it.

• Loan options: PHH Mortgage has loan options for every type of homebuyer. You can get a conventional, FHA, VA or HARP loan, or you can refinance your house for a lower interest rate.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

PHH Mortgage Company Information