2. Mortgages
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5

For over 30 years, PHH Mortgage has provided industry-leading mortgage services and helped countless homebuyers and homeowners find financing solutions to meet their needs. We are committed to providing personalized care and solutions to help our customers save money, build equity and most importantly, stay in their homes. Whether you need assistance with your current loan or are looking to purchase a new home or refinance, PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I had a concern when my Mortgage was not even loaded into the PHH System on February 1, 2020. I had many conversations with the people on the Hotline. They were all very courteous and willing to help if possible. Being an IT professional myself. I asked many in depth questions about their processes. They were very patient in answering my questions to the best of their ability. It is my nature to be precise and specific to understand the processes and to understand the length of time for them to work. On February 10, the data got loaded on to the system. I was able to register but the link failed. The next day they corrected the problem and was able to make the first payment. I am now a happy camper. I was a Software Engineer for IBM and Lockheed Martin for a total of 35 years.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Robert. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided by our team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

The service I received was excellent. The gentleman who handled my call was extremely helpful. My payment had been declined due to insufficient funds. This was my error. I put more money into the bank account in question.. But now I was very concerned about being late in my payment. The gentleman understood my concern and was helpful to me.. I needed to know whether I should try to make another payment or whether PHH would run the earlier payment through again.

So the gentleman put me on a brief hold so that he could verify this with his boss. Very soon he was back with me to explain that PHH would indeed try the payment once again.

So there was nothing that I needed to do now. That was good news. While I was on the phone, he also told me that my payment amount would be going down in the near future. So that was even more good news. He didn't have to do this extra work because he had already served me. I believe you have a true asset in this gentleman. He is an excellent representative of PHH. You could certainly use him to train other telephone people in your company. Thank you so much, Stephen

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Stephen! It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about the excellent customer service provided by Garnet. We will be sure to share your feedback with him.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My mortgage was just transferred from Ocwen to PHH on June 1, 2019. ALL I can say is that so far is, Yes I can see that Ocwen is still there standing with PHH on our behalf. Last year in 2018 we was approved for a loan modification when a illness that cause a hardship to take place. The HAMP program was able to modify our mortgage at a much lower interest rate of 2% that made our monthly payments more affordable..

In March of 2019 there was another hardship but Ocwen was able to set us up on a forbearance plan and we still had fallen behind so we was able to pay what we could at that time.. But Ocwen did not give up, they notify us about PHH transfer. We didn't give up, we prayed because we was now 5 months behind. So I contact PHH and every person that I talked to was so nice. They answered all my questions, they ask me when can we make the payment in full. PHH customer service made me feel like Ocwen is still there. I THANK YOU so much Ocwen/PHH mortgage for still being here for us....

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Pamela. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about Ocwen/PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: May 29, 2019

After reading all the negative experiences, I was honestly nervous about calling. I never had a problem with Ocwen other than the occasional language barrier but talking to the PHH representative was the easiest I have made in over ten years of having this loan. I was able to talk to her in less than two minutes, I am not joking. The lady was very nice and gave me all the information I needed to pay the loan. I was expecting after reading the other reviews that they were going to try to get me to mail it, which was no way going to happen or make it difficult to pay but she was great. I'm truly sorry other people had so many issues as I have been in their shoes from time to time with Ocwen, not often but it had happened. So far this company I really highly recommend.

Also I never do reviews. I know you see that from people but I really don't generally take the time because I don't have a strong enough opinion one way or another. The only reason I wrote this one was because of the huge amount of negative reviews that made me almost feel sick to my stomach to even call because I figured this was gonna be a long wait, a rude, unhelpful or someone I couldn't understand on the other line and it went fine.

PHH Mortgage response

Robin, thank you for your positive review and recommendation! It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about the great customer service you received from Jennifer. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: March 20, 2019

The customer service rep was very helpful. I didn't understand the changing of the billing process and why I received info for one of my accounts and not the other. The rep explained that I would be receiving the info for the second account at a later date. I explained I did understand and I would set my bank to pay on PHH on the last working day of March for the April 2019 payment and I would continue to pay Ocwen on the large account until I received notice of the transfer of that account to PHH. The rep told me I could still pay Ocwen on the smaller account for now - I preferred not to do that.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Georgia, for your positive review. We apologize for the confusion resulting from one of your accounts transitioning to PHH; however, we are glad to hear our customer service rep was very helpful in clarifying the change to the billing process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Your website doesn't work. I keep trying to log in. Makes me just keep putting the same info over and over? A lot of people on social media are saying that? Can you please check it please? Other than that I’m glad to be aboard. ✋️

PHH Mortgage response

Thonas, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with our service. We are working on the feedback shared by our customers regarding our website. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

PHH has inexperience customer service employees who are based in the Philippines. They are polite, but are incapable of answering most questions and rarely return the phone calls they promise to return "within 24-48 hrs". I have been contacting them for 6 weeks because they stole $1281 from my escrow account and gave me no notification there was any issue. If I had not tried to sell the house and call about the payoff, I would have found out 30 years after the fact instead of only 7 years after the fact.

I recently called PHH Mortgage to get a payoff because I am in the process of selling my home. I purchased the home in 2012. In the payoff statement from the bank, PHH showed a $1281 charge that I knew nothing about. I called several times and kept getting told by more than 1 representative that those are fees and they can do nothing about them.... Even though they could not tell me what the fees were for. After getting no resolution, I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was connected with Kimberly who was very nice and very knowledgeable. She got right to the bottom of the issue, identified the cause of the fee, and even sent me all the email strings between PHH and my employer sponsored relocation company.

My employer paid for certain portions of my relocation: usual & customary costs. There was a $1281 title fee that my employer (United States Gypsum--USG) refused to pay because they claimed it was not usual & customary. A PHH rep challenged that at the time and told USG in an email that those fees were usual & customary and per the Company policy provided by USG, should be covered. PHH stopped the communication, stole the $1281 from my escrow account, and gave the money back to the relocation company. PHH never notified me at the time and neither did my employer at the time. All of these details are confirmed in copies of the emails I received from Kimberly at PHH in January of 2020.

I spoke with Kimberly several times about the issue and each time she tried to convince me that the issue is with NGC, the ex-employer. That I need to call NGC and ask them for my $1281. I shared my disbelief many times with her, let her know that I no longer work for NGC, and had PHH told me about this 7 years ago, I might have been able to do just that. However, PHH is the Company who took the money out of my account and GAVE it to NGC. NGC did NOT reach in to my escrow account and take it. I do not have a banking relationship with NGC, I have one with PHH.

After many discussions with Kimberly, I asked her to elevate the issue because I want my $1281 back. She told me she would escalate the issue and call me back. It has been nearly 6 weeks and she has not called me back even though I have called at least 1 time every week since and left messages on her phone. I have also called and spoken with her colleagues on several occasions who have assured me they would have her call me back. Nobody has called me back.

I get the distinct impression they just hope I will give up so they can steal my money for good. I have had similar issues with PHH in the past where they actually refused to send me funds from a homeowner's insurance claim. Gave me the runaround for weeks and then lied about the fact about something as simple as where their office was when I asked to set up an in person meeting. If I cannot get my stolen money back, I'm not sure I would ever recommend PHH to anyone

PHH Mortgage response

Mike, we appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members for review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I answered the phone so I could confirm that payment would be coming on Friday, 2/21, when I get paid. Due to almost $500 in car repairs I didn't have enough to cover the entire house payment. Agent was very professional, courteous and helpful. Payment was set up to draft tomorrow, 2/21/2020.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Suzanne, for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Did not realize I was a on a balloon loan. My home is worth 200k. I only owe 40k. They will not allow me to extend my loan. They will be forcing me to sell my home or Lose it to foreclosure. My credit is bad so I cannot refinance with another lender. I have asked for help to work this out but they do not seem to understand what I am asking for. My loan matures in 2 months and they don't seem to care. I know I messed up and should of known what type of loan I was in. But I still was hoping they would help me keep my home. The case managers do not speak English well. I can barely understand them and them understand me.

PHH Mortgage response

Anthony, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

This was a bad decision long ago to get a loan like this but we have faithfully paid on the loan. Ocwen wasn't a great company but When Ocwen became PHH our problems intensified as far as the servicing of the loan. Our loan is due on the 22nd of each month. We pay around the 3rd of each month online, which is about 15-18 days early each month. Every month they claim we are late and add a late fee. We have to call every month, they admit they are doing things wrong and say they corrected the problem. The problem seems to be they assume all loans are due on the first of the month. Our loan was never modified to be due then.

Usually we have to make a second call each month to then get the late charge removed. Sometimes the rep argues with us that we didn't pay on time and we have gotten many letters denying forgiveness of the late fee. We have to deal with this every month, month after month. But how they apply the money to the loan is even more important and we are getting screwed. A payment is applied to the interest first and then the principal. Interest is compounded daily on this loan. If you pay late more of your payment is applied to interest not principal. They mark us late each month, charge us more interest and the principal doesn't go down as quickly so it earns more interest.

I am sure this is deliberate. We have called and complained numerous times and nothing changes. No adjustment to principal is made. We are nearing the end of the loan and we will still owe just about $10,000, which has to be paid in a lump sum to clear the mortgage lien. This is despite every payment being made on the loan and some $46K in interest already paid on a 30K loan. Yes it was a bad loan to begin with, we made a mistake. But they are milking us and I think this company should be sanctioned or sued for its practices, just as the parent company Ocwen was.

PHH Mortgage response

Kimberley, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding payment application and late fee. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

PHH Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company has options for VA, FHA, conventional and HARP loans. They also offer mortgage refinancing services. They offer loans to people with all types of credit. An experienced loan officer can help you determine what type of mortgage you should apply for.

• Online mortgage calculator: Use PHH Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to determine what monthly payment you can make based on your budget and existing debt.

• Apply online: Get started with your mortgage or refinance application online with PHH Mortgage’s easy online application.

• Fast and easy pre approval: Get preapproved for a mortgage quickly. This can let home sellers know that you’re serious about buying a house and prove that you can qualify for the mortgage to cover it.

• Loan options: PHH Mortgage has loan options for every type of homebuyer. You can get a conventional, FHA, VA or HARP loan, or you can refinance your house for a lower interest rate.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

PHH Mortgage Company Information