1.86/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years, PHH Mortgage has helped countless homebuyer and homeowners find financing solutions. PHH strictly focuses on subservicing and portfolio retention to allow their diverse professional clients concentrate on their core businesses, while providing borrowers with exceptional customer service at every level. Whether you are looking to purchase a new home or refinance your current mortgage, PHH offers a wide variety of loan options, including HARP, conventional, VA, FHA, and Jumbo. Talk to one of their experienced loan officers today to get started.

435 PHH Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

I keep getting mail saying I'm behind. I always give heads up to you telling you when I can pay you. I know it's generated out to all but it makes me feel like I'm not telling or talking to anyone there. All that I have talked to are nice and helpful.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Today I received two certified letter. One from Ocwen and the other from PHH. One telling me that PHH now has my home mortgage the other From PHH tell me that foreclosure has been started. I was in the process of loan mod before this. So I called the number on the letter. On hold for over 30 min. Could not understand the person on the phone. Great way to start a new relationship with PHH.

PHH Mortgage response

Helen, we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded for review, and one of our reps will be contacting you regarding this. Thank you.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I too am a recent previous Ocwen customer. I made my first payment to PHH. I had trouble logging in to my account to verify my payment, however after an exhausting 25 minutes and dealing with two different people that I had a tough time understanding, I finally was able to log in. Once I was logged in my payment went up by $46. No late fees, always paid on time and directly with my bank's bill pay. I could not get an answer after more than 30 more minutes on the phone, repeatedly put on hold. I was finally told I needed to speak to Ocwen.

After another 10 minutes on hold, somehow my call was disconnected. No callback, no nothing. The other matter had to do with working competent people. It seems as though every person I spoke with had a distinct accent, as though they were using an outside foreign company for their customer service. That did not make me happy either. It seems as though it’s easier to just pay the extra $46 than to waste another hour of my time. Get it together PHH!! You’ve got us by the short hairs, give us a break....

PHH Mortgage response

PHH takes all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. This is under review, and one of our reps will be contacting you to follow up with an explanation of the difference in payment.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 17, 2019

I will be transferring to PHH from Ocwen. The reviews are horrible! Ocwen' s service was not good so to go to another company that has the same issues is upsetting. My suggestion would be for both companies to change their business practices to accommodate their customers.

PHH Mortgage response

Mrs. Robinson, PHH takes our customer's feedback seriously. Following the transfer of your account to us, please know that we are here to assist you with any concerns you may have.

Original review: April 17, 2019

The questions I had were answered promptly and accurately. More importantly, the friendly manner in which they were dealt with, made me want to continue to do business with PHH. Shania made the experience easy and painless.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Bruce, for taking the time to share your experience with PHH! We are very happy to hear Shania made this a positive experience for you, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 17, 2019

Never get a mortgage from Merrill Lynch or PHH! Not only was it a very expensive loan (points and rate), it is also a nightmare to deal with them. Every step they will nickel and dime you. Inspection fees added (sure it is only $11 here and there and this month twice...). What pissed me off was the answer when calling. "There is nothing we can do. We don't know what it is for but you agreed to it when you signed the loan papers..." "Can I talk to your supervisor?" "No. I can't connect. The only thing we can do is take your name and number and somebody will call you in 24-48h," (Which they will not). Even making a payment (any other form other than sending a paper check) on their website or phone will cost you 7.50 to over $50. I've had various mortgages in my life. They are all a bit dicey, but ML/PHH are by far the worst.

PHH Mortgage response

PHH takes all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. I see you spoke with one of our agents yesterday regarding the fees assessed on your account. If your issue is unresolved or if you have additional questions, please send us a private message and one of our team members will contact you.

Thank you.

Original review: April 17, 2019

The transition from OCWEN to PHH is a joke and both companies should be held liable for poor communication and horrible customer service. They're screwing with people's mortgage payments and credit scores. Painful experience with no resolution in sight.

PHH Mortgage response

Jay, PHH takes all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience during this transition. Your information has been forwarded to our Ombudsman team, and someone will be contacting you regarding your concerns.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Trying to speak with someone to make payment arrangement. People pick up from some place in Asia. After speaking with someone, I would like to warn all existing customers that this is a company that are in loan sharking business. I’m one month behind, they sent me forecloser letter. Wants me to sign me property over to PHH to avoid foreclosing. Another Bernie Maddoff scam. Contact appropriate legal authority to handle issues. PHH is clearly in predatory lending business. Loan shark in disguise of mortgage business. I’m planing to contact a news paper outlet to write about it. On google PHH has thousands of reviews and not one positive one. BE CAREFUL ALL.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I was transferred from OCWEN and have yet to get ANYONE to answer a phone call. Horrible service. Don’t bother telling me to private message an ombudsmen because I already have with no response either!!! Give me a contact number where an actual person will answer the phone!

PHH Mortgage response

Tina, we apologize for your experience during this transition. I see you spoke to one of our Customer Service representatives today. If you still need assistance or have any other concerns, please send a private message with the details and we'll have someone from our Ombudsman team contact you.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My mortgage was transferred from Ocwen to PHH. My payment decreased from $2,400 to approx.$1,900. After looking into on their archaic website I noticed that they were not taking out enough to cover my escrow. I talked with a lady for over an hour but was unable to get the issue resolved. My concern, especially after reading all the negative reviews is that they may not be paying my property taxes and homeowners insurance. If you are reading this, please read all the comments below mine. This company is terrible. I definitely will be looking at my options including legal action.

PHH Mortgage response

Dan, PHH takes all feedback seriously. Your information has been forwarded to our Ombudsman team for a review of your escrow account, and they will be in contact with you to address your concerns.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My loan was recently transferred from Ocwen Loan Services to PHH Mortgage Services. Today is April 15 starting at 7:00 am this morning through 7:00 this evening, I attempted to contact PHH unsuccessfully staying on hold numerous times, beyond half an hour. From the experience I had with Ocwen for the past 12 years, PHH I can truly say, without a doubt your customer service sucks. This is no way to treat a new customer. Hopefully this is not the start of more to come. I also went to your website to try and create an account in order to pay my mortgage, that as well was unsuccessful. I will try again tomorrow, hopefully I’ll have a much better outcome.

PHH Mortgage response

Kenneth, we sincerely apologize for the issues you have experienced. Your information has been forwarded to our Ombudsman team so they can contact you and offer assistance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 15, 2019

My credit report says my Ocwen loan has been closed. Called Ocwen, transferred to PHH, PHH said could not help me or talk to me and to call Aldridge Pite, after 4 phone calls to AP, they said I was not in their records. I called PHH again and she said I had to write to reaffirmation@familymortgage.com about my bankruptcy. Ocwen WAS NOT IN MY BK, SO WHY ALL THIS FUSS. The email to reaffirmation@familymortgage.com came back as 'undeliverable'... I am now on hold with PHH again. I am stressed out to the max.

PHH Mortgage response

Brenda, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your review has been forwarded to our Ombudsman team, and someone will contact you regarding the issues you are experiencing.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Ocwen to PHH. Got a letter yesterday Ocwen transferred to PHH on April 1, 2019, make payments there now. Letter dated April 8. Received on April 13. Called to set up payment. Can't get an answer. Payment is due - no way to make the payment. Ocwen and PHH merge - you would think a seamless transition. NOOOO.

PHH Mortgage response

Paul, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. We are forwarding your information to our Ombudsman team so they can assist you in setting up your payment.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 13, 2019

My account was transferred from Ocwen to PHH this year. Since then, I have been unable to access account details, update outdated contact information in my portal, and am unable to receive answers when I call. I received a letter from PHH about an unpaid debt, even though my account was current with Ocwen when it was transferred. PHH Mortgage mistreats its customers and I will be reporting them for unfair practices.

PHH Mortgage response

Theresa, we sincerely apologize for your experience with PHH. Your review has been forwarded to our Ombudsman team, so they can review your account and contact you regarding your concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2019

There was a mixup between my homeowners insurance company and PHH, so PHH purchased and billed me for an additional homeowners policy, costing five times as much. After supplying PHH with proof of paid insurance, they continued threatening me with foreclosure. I spent dozens of hours trying to reach someone who could actually resolve this for me and at one point I finally spoke to someone who made promises, look into it and call back, and gave me his phone #. When I didn’t hear from him and I called the number it was not a working number.

The same thing happened with another person at the company who I was able to reach only after being transferred around 15 times, being on hold, and literally spending several entire afternoons trying to resolve this. It seems that if and when you finally get an actual person in the United States to talk to you, they will promise you anything but not do anything for you. And will also give you a fake phone number so you cannot follow up, but rather have to start the process all over again starting with someone in the Philippines who has no idea what you’re talking about.

PHH Mortgage response

Anita, we apologize for your experience with PHH, and we would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your property address and contact number, so one of our Ombudsman team members can review your account and follow up with you. Thank you.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Recently called and spoke with a CSR. She was super kind and patient even willing to stay on the phone while I tried to access my account. She was able to provide me with the info I was trying to locate (myself) over the phone.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Chris, for your positive review! PHH is here to help our customers, and we're happy to hear our customer service representative provided you with the assistance needed.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2019

My account was transferred from Ocwen to PHH. I have called several times PHH, had to wait over 30 minutes just to get no answers and reps that do not speak English. I NEED KNOWLEDGEABLE REPS FROM US not overseas. I tried their website and it is no better. Now I am very concerned PHH will mess up with my credit and mess with my house by playing dirty tricks. I have reported PHH to every government entity. I need answers why my mortgage payment does not keep getting processed.

PHH Mortgage response

Dr. Quintero, we apologize for your experience, and we would like our Ombudsman team to review your account and follow up with you regarding this. Please send us a private message with your phone number, so we can contact you. Thank you.

Original review: April 5, 2019

PHH misapplied payments resulting in late notice and assessed fee. It took 3 months to get them to apply the payments correctly and remove the late fee. After this we refinanced. Three years later I discover that they never filed a Lien Release with the county. They are still holding a lien for a loan that has been paid in full and now I am having to deal with their horrid customer service again. At least a loan shark will stop breaking bones once you pay them back.

PHH Mortgage response

Robert, we apologize for your experience and would like our Ombudsman team to follow up with you regarding this. Please send us a private message with the complete property address, so someone in our Ombudsman team can review your account and contact you. Thank you.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was told send information and process will be complete, not just once but three to four times and the last time, I was perplexed and tired of sending paperwork. I was already an PHH Mortgage customer since 2002, that alone should have stood to prove my loyalty in paying my debts.

PHH Mortgage response

Margarett, we apologize for your experience and would like to send your feedback to our Ombudsman team. Please send us a private message with the complete property address so we can review your account and follow up with you regarding this. Thank you.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My experience with PHH Mortgage was great. This is my first time talking with the company by phone. I am a new client. My loan was transferred to them as of the first of April. The customer service representative was very friendly, helpful, and courteous!

PHH Mortgage response

Eva, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with PHH. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we look forward to working with you.

Original review: April 2, 2019

PHH responds to people's complaints like they care, but the absolutely abysmal experience of working with this company (and their broken, useless website – as it has been *for years*) never changes. Their service is beyond pathetic, infuriating and useless. Just trying to download documents for tax purposes is enough to drive you mad. They take too much escrow (presumably to make some money off the interest). RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

PHH Mortgage response

Will, PHH does take all feedback seriously, and we sincerely apologize for your experience and the frustration you've experienced with our website. We appreciate the chance to improve our service and resolve any issues that our customers may have. If there is anything that you need assistance with, please send a private message with the details and we will contact you. Thank you.

Original review: April 2, 2019

All too familiar nightmare. I had a question about my escrow account and after three calls to an overseas call center I still did not have an answer. When I finally managed to access their terrible website, I discovered the payment information was inaccurate and did not reflect payments to the previous mortgage servicing company. I had the pleasure of speaking to yet a fourth person who of course did not help me. I was told I could pay $10 to get the information I wanted. (A three month history). Hey, I have an idea. How about giving consumers the right to choose companies to service their mortgages? Because the only reason anyone would deal with this company is because they have to.

PHH Mortgage response

Denzil, PHH takes all customer feedback seriously, and it is our goal to make every attempt to resolve your concerns. We have forwarded your information to our Ombudsman team, so they can review your account and contact you to discuss further.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Spoke with three different individuals was hung up by all three first Edel #SVH, Joseph SJ7 and Michelle HMZ, the only one who tried to help was Anthony BAP. If no one knew the answer it should have been clear and have someone to phone me with an answer. But to be rude and say hold on and have me holding for several minutes each time just to hang up on me is rude and very unprofessional. At least when I had a question about my account with OCWEN I never experienced rudeness. I would appreciate if you take action because I was on my lunch hour and wasted my time with several individuals who have no clue what they are doing!!!

PHH Mortgage response

PHH values your feedback and we sincerely apologize for your experience. We appreciate the opportunity to improve our service, and we have forwarded your feedback for review. If you still need assistance, please send us a private message, and we will have someone from our Ombudsman team contact you.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I feel customer service professionals get a bad rap in general. I used to work in the service industry, so I empathize. Sometimes recurring negative interactions with customers can dull the desire to help. As the old saying goes, you get more bees with honey. I have never felt that tension with PHH. Everyone whom I have spoken with has been friendly and answered all my questions patiently. The fact that PHH has asked me to complete a survey after a call AND they followed up, is further proof of their processes to maintain or improve quality customer service. I appreciate being able to call in the future with confidence. Thanks!

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Jason, for your empathy. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you, and thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience.

Original review: April 2, 2019

My loan was transferred to PHH from Ocwen effective 2/1/19. I received communication from Lance via mail that he was my case manager. I contacted him on 3/8/19 (he acknowledged being a PHH employee) to find out why two of my payments had been sent back to my bank and he informed me that my account was more than 90 days past due (which I had received no previous communication about) and that I had until the end of March to pay a certain amount to avoid further collection. By this time, since my payments had been sent back, my account was steadily accumulating past due fees. I submitted full payment to them in March 27th which will bring my account completely current including all late fees, and received a letter in the mail on the same day telling me my account has been sent to an attorney to begin the foreclosure process.

I have contacted them twice since to find out why I was told I had until the end of the month to make a partial payment and to find out wear they'd done to my full payment. The representative (Karen) told me she did not know the answer to this, and could see the notes left by Lance on 3/8. Since she could not tell me wear happened to my money, she said she woke gave a supervisor call me back that day or the next. I received no call at all. I called back only to be told that I needed to speak to a supervisor, but that there was none available.

As a result, I spoke to a senior representative who informed me that Lance does NOT work for PHH, but for Ocwen and that he had no authority to tell me I had until the end of the month to make a payment to avoid further action. She also told me that my full amount paid in 3/27 was being held in a suspense account since they could no longer accept payment. Currently, not one person has told me the same information as the next, and I now have to wait at least 7-10 days for a reinstatement quote. Unfortunately for me, there is no recourse through them pertaining to their own miscommunication practices. It appears to me that this is done intentionally to confuse and misdirect the consumer.

PHH Mortgage response

Marcia, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been sent to our Ombudsman team so they can review your account and follow up with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 1, 2019

I had to refinance to get my ex wife's name off the loan, I thought it would be a simpler process to stay with PHH, but it turn into a nightmare. They first asked for the typical records you'd expect, W2's, pay stubs, divorce settlement/decree and a few months of financial records. After that, I heard nothing for weeks and could not get them to return calls.

When I finally got in through with them, they needed more information on some "Large" bank transactions. All but one were payroll deposits, for some reason they questioned the payroll deposits, even though they had my pay stubs and W2. The other transaction was a deposit from a car I sold for $4000. I gave them a copy of the bill of sale (handwritten and signed) and a copy of the notary receipt showing the VIN and what the buy paid for the car to figure what taxes he owed. That was not good enough, they would not accept a handwritten receipt. I'm sorry, I am not a car dealer, just a guy who sold his old car. My refinance was denied (funny because I already have a loan with them, I only want my ex wife's name off it.

The original loan was approved 10 years ago, never missed a payment and my credit score was 801. The new loan was for 89K and the appraisal was 220K. No other loans at all, 10 years at the same employer making over 100K/year. I don't even have any credit card debt or auto loans. I make a lot less money and had a lot more debt when I got the original loan 10 years ago. But they determined me as too risky now. My opinion is that interest rates were much lower than they were 10 years ago and they simply did not want to refinance me at current rates (from 5.875 to 4.125%).

I finally gave up and went to USAA for a mortgage and I was approved in less than a month. No hassles, 2 weeks after approval, everything was finalized and I closed, but PHH decided to give me 1 last problem, which was getting my escrow back, I had $3700 in escrow and was told that it would be refund in 7-10 days. I waited 15 business days and it took them 3 days to respond, but they told me $1000 was sent because they did an "Escrow analysis" and I was due a refund. I tried calling them, but after 1/2 hour on hold, I tried emailing again. Several days to respond and they told the the remained will be sent in 7-10 days. After 3 weeks, I got the $1000 check, but still no word on the remaining.

When I finally spoke to someone, they told me that the escrow is correct, they cannot refund anything at this time, the escrow analysis shows that it's correct. I told here the loan was paid in full over a month ago, the escrow account needs to be closed and refunded to me. Well that can take up to 30 days (which should have been 30 days from when the loan was paid in full). After several more calls, it went from 7-10 days, to 15 days, to up to 30 days. 2 1/2 months after my loan was paid, I finally got the remaining $2700. I will never deal with PHH again.

PHH Mortgage response

Joseph, PHH takes all feedback very seriously, and we are sorry for your experience and that we were not able to assist you with a refinance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 31, 2019

I've had this mortgage company for over a year now and it has been nothing but a headache!!! I NEVER receive important tax documents and I always have to call and beg for them to send it to me. The website is absolutely useless. I try to log in and it says it doesn't recognize me. I try to retrieve my username and password (thinking maybe I am mistaken), "DENIED!!! Sorry we don't recognize this email address." I try to create a new account, "DENIED!!! Sorry, you have to choose a password." (I did, multiple times using their specific recommendations to a T, still nothing.) IT IS 2019!!!! It shouldn't be this difficult to access my very important information so I can file my taxes and stay on top of things!!! But yes, they are very good at cashing my monthly check and sending me new invoices for the next two months in a VERY TIMELY fashion!!!! I will be glad to be selling my house and being rid of this company FOREVER.

PHH Mortgage response

Jessica, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information is being forwarded to our Ombudsman team, so they can review your account and assist you with your access to our website and your tax documents. Please send us a private message with your phone number so someone in our Ombudsman group can contact you. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 30, 2019

My loan was recently sold from Ocwen to this mortgage company February 16, 2019. I called their sales department to simply refinance my loan for better rate to lower my payment. The simple question was "what are your rates today? I want a lower interest rate to lower my monthly payment and do not pull my credit as of yet". Steven (LO) used a chart stating $640 would be my monthly payment so I said "what are you basing these numbers off of". He could not tell me still the rate so I said is it based on just P/I or is the HOI and taxes included. He says yes and "your closing cost would be $3k to $5k" so I said "I never heard of that for a simple refinance. This must be you charging me for the lower rate", he says "it's your origination fee and county fees" so I'm like really never heard of that. Even when I refinanced in 2012 it did not cost me that especially with a small loan amount. Besides I have every right to use my own title company.

I Said this doesn't make sense. I had to ask him again was he a LO he said yes. This gets good. He said "let me put you on hold so you can calm down", are you kidding me. So at this point I'm frustrated because you work at this company and don't know what the market place rates are. Just because I'm asking all these questions you rudely put me on hold. A family member was sitting in the living room shaking her head in disbelief. Heard the whole conversation since I had him on loud speaker of what I experience. I just wanted to share this with anyone since this company have inexperienced people working here. What a nightmare!

PHH Mortgage response

We apologize for your recent experience with PHH. Your feedback is important to us, and we have requested that a member of our team review your account and follow up with you on the refinance questions you raised.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Insurance reimbursement. My home was sold and I was owed a little over $500. I was told it would take two weeks from the day of payoff. But yet I end told when the loan was paid off. Since the Ocwen takeover doing business with them is horrible. I used to love Ocwen, hate PHH.

PHH Mortgage response

Angela, PHH takes all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to our Ombudsman group, so they can review your account and follow up with you.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Customer since 2005, I have only been late 1x while overseas on a military deployment, it was an issue w/ my bank's auto-pay. Months ago I started receiving calls/letters saying I missed a payment. Not one person that I spoke to was able to say which month I had "not paid". During over 20 calls to customer service, being transferred over & over, being repeatedly "disconnected", and waiting on hold for 40-50 minutes (I saved screenshots of the hold time on my cell to prove it), I offered to send a transcript from my bank with all the auto-pay deductions for the past year. I was told "don't bother. Just send us a payment."

Consequently, they sent me an escrow refund check for 642.00. After that I suddenly had the difference between my mortgage payment & the 642.00 in a suspense account. It seems that they took part of my mortgage, put it in a suspense account and sent me the rest! No one I talk to will admit this. The worst part is they have reported me to the credit bureaus saying I'm not paying my mortgage and my 820 credit score, I worked so hard to achieve is now a 740. After 8 months of this stress, I still have no answers from PHH. I'm sickened by the lack of ethics & worse customer service. No one deserves this.

PHH Mortgage response

Jennifer, we apologize for your experience. Your information has been sent to our Ombudsman team, so they can review your account and payment history and follow up with you.

PHH Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company has options for VA, FHA, conventional and HARP loans. They also offer mortgage refinancing services. They offer loans to people with all types of credit. An experienced loan officer can help you determine what type of mortgage you should apply for.

• Online mortgage calculator: Use PHH Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to determine what monthly payment you can make based on your budget and existing debt.

• Apply online: Get started with your mortgage or refinance application online with PHH Mortgage’s easy online application.

• Fast and easy pre approval: Get preapproved for a mortgage quickly. This can let home sellers know that you’re serious about buying a house and prove that you can qualify for the mortgage to cover it.

• Loan options: PHH Mortgage has loan options for every type of homebuyer. You can get a conventional, FHA, VA or HARP loan, or you can refinance your house for a lower interest rate.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

PHH Mortgage Company Information