2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.34/5

PHH Mortgage has provided mortgage services and financing solutions for more than 30 years. PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options, including options for those purchasing a new home or refinancing.

BOTTOM LINE

PHH helps home buyers navigate the homebuying process and offers a variety of loan options for first-time homebuyers, seasoned homebuyers and investors

PROS
  • Offers home loans and refinancing
  • 24/7 online account access
  • Competitive rates
CONS
  • Does not offer HELOC programs
  • Mixed reviews for customer service

Top PHH Mortgage Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

I have a home loan that is with PHH. I was recently impressed by their friendly and helpful staff. They helped me delay my payments, but this isn’t the only time they have exceeded my expectations. I have had nothing, but positive interactions with PHH.

The PHH rep who was providing assistance went above and beyond the call of duty to help me retrieve my paperwork, even though my account had been closed and transferred to a third-party. He ensured that I had the information and waited until I got the email information. Great service!

What is PHH Mortgage?

PHH Mortgage offers a variety of services for homebuyers and business owners. PHH Mortgage focuses on helping people buy homes or investment properties. It has flexible financing options and loan terms, and the company provides resources to help buyers make informed and confident decisions. PHH Mortgage also offers business services, including subservicing, partner portfolio management and investor services.

PHH Homebuying

The PHH Mortgage team walks homebuyers through every step of the homebuying process. Its representatives help customers determine how much they can afford, discuss down payment options and closing costs, set monthly payments and navigate additional expenses like insurance and utilities.

First-time homebuyers
PHH Mortgage offers first-time homebuyers the support and resources they need to navigate the homebuying process. This includes walking you through the preapproval process, exploring your options for loan terms and joining you for the home inspection process. Its representatives help first-time homebuyers through the closing process and answer all questions until you have the keys to your new home.
Next homes
If you’ve purchased a home before, PHH can help you finance your next home if you’re looking to downsize or upgrade. The company can help repeat homebuyers choose the best mortgage and decide between fixed-rate mortgages and adjustable-rate loans.
Vacation homes
Buying a second home or vacation property is similar to buying a primary residence, but PHH helps you understand taxes, equity and rental potential for a second home. It offers a vacation homebuying checklist so you can make a vacation home purchase with confidence.
Investment properties
PHH Mortgage helps new investors enter the property investment market and seasoned investors fine-tune their strategies. Talk to the company’s mortgage experts about loan options for investment properties.

PHH Refinancing

Refinancing can be a smart way to reduce your interest rates, shorten payment periods or lower monthly payments. Whether you need to take cash out or change your loan options, PHH makes it easy to understand your options and save money in the process.

PHH Home Insurance

Buying a home means buying insurance — this can be a confusing process, especially for first-time homeowners. PHH offers a wide range of insurance products, including flood, accidental death and homeowners insurance. It also assists with home warranties and identity fraud protection.

PHH Mortgage rates

Mortgage rates change frequently, and it’s a good idea to get rates from several mortgage lenders before making a final decision.

PHH is one of the top five mortgage companies in the country and offers fixed-rate loans with terms up to 40 years. Its simple online loan application process lets you see the types of loans you qualify for. The company’s rates are typically competitive with the market.

PHH Mortgage FAQ

How do I make a payment on PHH Mortgage?
PHH Mortgage’s innovative website lets you access your account 24/7 and make payments online. You can also submit your payment by phone.
Does PHH Mortgage have a grace period?
There is a 15-day grace period for mortgage payments.
Does PHH Mortgage accept cards?
Yes. You can pay with a Visa, Mastercard or Discover card. You can also make payments through Apple Pay or your bank account.

Is PHH Mortgage a good company?

PHH is a leading mortgage company in the United States. Its rates are competitive, and it offers a variety of services for homebuyers. Customers give mixed feedback on customer service, but many report being satisfied with its flexible payment plans. We recommend PHH as an educational resource for those buying homes for the first time or those looking to switch up their real estate financing options.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

My monthly mortgage payment was made by the due date but after hours. My husband has been in the hospital for some time after suffering a stroke and I just honestly forgot my payment with so many other things going on this month. I made the payment after hours; but the next morning I received an email advising my payment was late. I called PHH, explained the timing of my payment and my personal issues with my husband and the agent could not have been more pleasant. She first gave her good wishes for a speedy recovery and then looked at my payment. It turns out the payment was processing, not yet processed.

I asked about late fees as I have never in my life paid my mortgage payment late nor any other payment for that matter. The agent stated she would monitor my account and if she saw a late payment applied she would do her best to have it removed. My call was over in less than 5 minutes. She confirmed my payment, advised she would try to have the late charge removed (if applied), AND offered her good wishes to my husband. A very pleasant customer experience.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Debra. We wish a speedy recovery for your husband and hope that things get better for you in the coming future. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

2020 was a tough year but thankfully PHH is my mortgage company who went above and beyond to show me they care. Empathy is not the same as sympathy... PHH has agents who put themselves in my shoes (and many others) to figure out a plan (or option) that would help get us through these uncertain times vs saying “I’m sorry, when can you pay?”. Every time I called customer service with questions, I was treated with respect and felt I had a ‘partner’ who wanted to help me succeed during the pandemic versus saying tough luck! Because of them and their resources, I’m finally able to get back on my feet and continue living in my dream home I worked so hard for. This company listens. They care. They want families to have a roof over their head and go above and beyond to help them out. Thank you, I appreciate your support!

PHH Mortgage response

Shalee, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with PHH. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Just a few words to let you know that I was extremely satisfied with my relationship manager who represents PHH Mortgage. She was very cordial and professional the entire time I was with her on the phone. A special moment that I recall during our last conversation was when I was explaining the reason for my request asking for a deferment on my house payments. I was explaining how Covid affected me financially. I went on disability from work due to a knee injury which occurred on January 3, 2020. This caused my financial income to drop dramatically. My surgery was delayed for the longest time.

Just recently, I was able to return to work on September 15, 2020. I was getting emotional when I told her I did not want to lose my home. The way she responded to me is what caught me off guard. She told me, "You're not going to lose your home Mr. **". Her voice was so reassuring to me, sort of in a way of how a parent would talk to their child. After our conversation, my stress went away and I felt so relieved. It's nice to know that there are special employees who truly care for their customers. Thank you so much for everything you do.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Rene. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I can’t thank the wonderful people at PHH Mortgage enough. They literally saved my life! As a single mom it’s hard enough with one income but I am also helping my 87 yr old mom with her mortgage and bills. I really had no idea how I was going to pay everything during Covid since my income was practically nothing as I own my own business and everything was shut down for months. Even now I am not making anywhere near the money I was making before Covid. I was getting nasty phone calls from my car loan company, electric and cable company with no care for what was going on in the world. It was heartbreaking I had one company tell me I should borrow money or take out a loan because they wanted their money.

PHH was the ONLY Company that was caring and extremely compassionate and it wasn’t just one nice rep it has been Every single one that has done so much to help and reassured me that they will continue to help as long as Covid continues. I cried the last time I spoke to someone because I was so overwhelmed by their compassion. Because of PHH and all their help I WILL be able to get back on track and get through this difficult time. I can’t thank them enough!! Sharon

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Sharon. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

The representative that handled my request was very respectful, courteous, expeditious, and knowledgeable when I was in dire need of assistance. I had a horrible experience trying to make my mortgage payment using PHH's self-service technology. After numerous attempts to make my payment, I am informed that the computer was down for updating and would not be available until 6:00 PM the following day (Sunday, 8/16/20). At that time I went to PHH's website to try and make the payment online, to find that the charge to make a payment through a company that I can only think is authorized by PHH (Doxo) to take payments would charge me $171.00 and some change to process my mortgage payment. In my opinion, it is very discouraging to know that PHH would subject their customers to such outrageous fees for processing payments for one of their products.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, James, for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. If you need additional assistance or your query is not resolved, request you to send us a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 21, 2021

I submitted a loan modification package and made sure that everything that I received, was signed and returned completely. My modification had gone through the final steps and I had to make 3 on-time payments. I made all 3 payments on-time as required, but on the 3rd month after I made a payment, I received a letter saying my loan modification was denied due to an issue with my mortgage title. I tried to call my relationship manager, as the letter stated, but they can't transfer you, but only make an appointment with your relationship manager. So I asked the rep about the letter and they didn't know anything, so I asked to go to escalation. I was told there was one paper that I needed to sign, I explained to him, that these past few months of talking to someone each month when I had to make 3 payments, no one said anything about missing paperwork.

So he sent to me and I signed it, but because it was after the fact, I was told I had to resubmit my request for modification and start the process over. I had done everything I was supposed to and made my payments, but because of failure on the relationship manager's end or whoever was calling me each month, didn't verify that everything was complete. I can't sign a paper that I do not have. I resubmitted the paperwork, and I kept getting letters saying I'm missing paperwork and I would fill out everything they send, but I would get something else, saying I'm missing paperwork, but it would be what I've already signed and submitted.

The second package was finally complete, but now it has been denied, which doesn't make sense, since it was basically approved the first time, just missing one form that they failed to give me. I never speak to the same person when I have scheduled calls and they all say different information. No one seems to be on the same page. Because someone at PHH failed to verify all documents were received when I initially submitted my package, now I have to put in an appeal to keep my home from foreclosure. I'm using my VA home loan, and my VA advisor is aware as well because he's had a hard time getting in contact with PHH as well about this issue. It's not right that I did everything on my end and I'm the one that this affects.

PHH Mortgage response

Shantay, we do take all feedback seriously and apologize for your experience. Your information and details regarding the loan modification has been forwarded to to one of our escalation management team members for review. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: April 21, 2021

This "company," (really a debt collector) after purchasing my mortgage servicing from another company – something I cannot do anything about – then turns around to tell me that in order to make payments on my loan, I either: 1) have to send a check in by mail, or 2) I have to pay them the exorbitant sum of $19.50 every month to pay my mortgage online. I also have to sign a document which is like an amendment on my mortgage to this end. This on top of whatever fees they are charging the holders of my mortgage.

This is scandalous, and for a website that looks like it was made on a 1990s and for the internet security that I'm sure this unscrupulous band of bandits, wherever they are located (since they have several addresses even in the official documents they mail me), have not paid for. Welcome to America! This is what happens when we let robber-baron corporations get away with crimes and unethical actions and we don't hold them accountable!

PHH Mortgage response

Scott, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and follow up with you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 16, 2021

Trying to get into my account. Wouldn’t let me so I call. I don’t think she knew what she was doing. She keep want me to download app. I did not want app. Just want her to help me verify my account. She keep trying to get me to download a App. Told me my account may got lost. She was no help to me at all so I hung up.

PHH Mortgage response

Norman, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding our website and customer service. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I have a good experience every time I had a concern, they had answered me, I being happy, I hope to still have the same response in the future. Thank you for being respectful and caring for my concerns.

PHH Mortgage response

Gloria, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided.

Original review: March 24, 2021

My mortgage was transferred from Quicken loans to PHH mortgage servicing the beginning of February 2021. Quicken loans paid my homeowners insurance on January 25th 2021 before the transfer. I noticed on PHH mortgage site that they were getting ready to pay my homeowners insurance again in March 2021. I called and spent over an hour on the phone speaking to two different representatives to make sure they get the updated information from my homeowners insurance or quicken loans that it was already paid. I was advised they would take care of it. I now received a notice that my escrow account is short $2,500 and that they are going to raise my mortgage payment.

I called and spoke to two people today at PHH mortgage. The second one told me that they just paid my homeowners insurance in March after I ask them not to. I spent an hour on the phone a few weeks ago to get nothing taken care of. I asked for it not to be sent. I was told they would not and now they did. Now my homeowners insurance is double paid and I got to spend more time on the phone to get it sent back before my mortgage payment goes up.

I read the reviews on PHH mortgage when I got the notice it was being transferred to them from quicken loans and was very worried that I was going to get poor customer service and in fact the first month that my mortgage is service with them my mortgage is now all screwed up. I really wish when you get a mortgage that you had the right to say who your mortgage can be transferred to for servicing. I've had mortgages for over 23 years with many different companies and I've never had issues like I've had this past month with PHH mortgage. If you're trying to finance or refinance do not use this company. It's just going to be a nightmare.

PHH Mortgage response

Linda, we do take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving your concerns regarding your escrow account. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

PHH Mortgage Company Information