2. Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.48/5

PHH Mortgage has provided mortgage services and financing solutions for more than 30 years. PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options, including options for those purchasing a new home or refinancing.

BOTTOM LINE

PHH helps home buyers navigate the homebuying process and offers a variety of loan options for first-time homebuyers, seasoned homebuyers and investors

PROS

• Offers home loans and refinancing
  • 24/7 online account access
  • Competitive rates

CONS

• Does not offer HELOC programs
  • Mixed reviews for customer service

Top PHH Mortgage Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

I have a home loan that is with PHH. I was recently impressed by their friendly and helpful staff. They helped me delay my payments, but this isn’t the only time they have exceeded my expectations. I have had nothing, but positive interactions with PHH.

The PHH rep who was providing assistance went above and beyond the call of duty to help me retrieve my paperwork, even though my account had been closed and transferred to a third-party. He ensured that I had the information and waited until I got the email information. Great service!

What is PHH Mortgage?

PHH Mortgage offers a variety of services for homebuyers and business owners. PHH Mortgage focuses on helping people buy homes or investment properties. It has flexible financing options and loan terms, and the company provides resources to help buyers make informed and confident decisions. PHH Mortgage also offers business services, including subservicing, partner portfolio management and investor services.

PHH Homebuying

The PHH Mortgage team walks homebuyers through every step of the homebuying process. Its representatives help customers determine how much they can afford, discuss down payment options and closing costs, set monthly payments and navigate additional expenses like insurance and utilities.

First-time homebuyers
PHH Mortgage offers first-time homebuyers the support and resources they need to navigate the homebuying process. This includes walking you through the preapproval process, exploring your options for loan terms and joining you for the home inspection process. Its representatives help first-time homebuyers through the closing process and answer all questions until you have the keys to your new home.
Next homes
If you’ve purchased a home before, PHH can help you finance your next home if you’re looking to downsize or upgrade. The company can help repeat homebuyers choose the best mortgage and decide between fixed-rate mortgages and adjustable-rate loans.
Vacation homes
Buying a second home or vacation property is similar to buying a primary residence, but PHH helps you understand taxes, equity and rental potential for a second home. It offers a vacation homebuying checklist so you can make a vacation home purchase with confidence.
Investment properties
PHH Mortgage helps new investors enter the property investment market and seasoned investors fine-tune their strategies. Talk to the company’s mortgage experts about loan options for investment properties.

PHH Refinancing

Refinancing can be a smart way to reduce your interest rates, shorten payment periods or lower monthly payments. Whether you need to take cash out or change your loan options, PHH makes it easy to understand your options and save money in the process.

PHH Home Insurance

Buying a home means buying insurance — this can be a confusing process, especially for first-time homeowners. PHH offers a wide range of insurance products, including flood, accidental death and homeowners insurance. It also assists with home warranties and identity fraud protection.

PHH Mortgage rates

Mortgage rates change frequently, and it’s a good idea to get rates from several mortgage lenders before making a final decision.

PHH is one of the top five mortgage companies in the country and offers fixed-rate loans with terms up to 40 years. Its simple online loan application process lets you see the types of loans you qualify for. The company’s rates are typically competitive with the market.

PHH Mortgage FAQ

How do I make a payment on PHH Mortgage?
PHH Mortgage’s innovative website lets you access your account 24/7 and make payments online. You can also submit your payment by phone.
Does PHH Mortgage have a grace period?
There is a 15-day grace period for mortgage payments.
Does PHH Mortgage accept cards?
Yes. You can pay with a Visa, Mastercard or Discover card. You can also make payments through Apple Pay or your bank account.

Is PHH Mortgage a good company?

PHH is a leading mortgage company in the United States. Its rates are competitive, and it offers a variety of services for homebuyers. Customers give mixed feedback on customer service, but many report being satisfied with its flexible payment plans. We recommend PHH as an educational resource for those buying homes for the first time or those looking to switch up their real estate financing options.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I can’t thank the wonderful people at PHH Mortgage enough. They literally saved my life! As a single mom it’s hard enough with one income but I am also helping my 87 yr old mom with her mortgage and bills. I really had no idea how I was going to pay everything during Covid since my income was practically nothing as I own my own business and everything was shut down for months. Even now I am not making anywhere near the money I was making before Covid. I was getting nasty phone calls from my car loan company, electric and cable company with no care for what was going on in the world. It was heartbreaking I had one company tell me I should borrow money or take out a loan because they wanted their money.

PHH was the ONLY Company that was caring and extremely compassionate and it wasn’t just one nice rep it has been Every single one that has done so much to help and reassured me that they will continue to help as long as Covid continues. I cried the last time I spoke to someone because I was so overwhelmed by their compassion. Because of PHH and all their help I WILL be able to get back on track and get through this difficult time. I can’t thank them enough!! Sharon

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Sharon. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

The representative that handled my request was very respectful, courteous, expeditious, and knowledgeable when I was in dire need of assistance. I had a horrible experience trying to make my mortgage payment using PHH's self-service technology. After numerous attempts to make my payment, I am informed that the computer was down for updating and would not be available until 6:00 PM the following day (Sunday, 8/16/20). At that time I went to PHH's website to try and make the payment online, to find that the charge to make a payment through a company that I can only think is authorized by PHH (Doxo) to take payments would charge me $171.00 and some change to process my mortgage payment. In my opinion, it is very discouraging to know that PHH would subject their customers to such outrageous fees for processing payments for one of their products.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, James, for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. If you need additional assistance or your query is not resolved, request you to send us a private message.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I had mistakenly placed my payment envelope into the mailbox WITHOUT a Postage Stamp and was worried about missing my payment deadline. Therefore I sent another check as I awaited the original to return to my home. Upon checking my bank account, I saw that both checks were cashed by PHH so I immediately worried that the excess money would be placed against my mortgage interest. However, I was PLEASED To Learn that PHH simply credited the second check to next month's payment.

To me personally, that showed EXCELLENT Regard for my (the customer) financial capability and monthly responsibilities outside of my mortgage payment. Good Faith acts like this are what separate Good and Respectable Companies from Fly By Night Operations that essentially grift every nickel they can from their customers. I'm happy to have my mortgage with PHH Mortgage.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, David. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the service provided by PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I had a concern when my Mortgage was not even loaded into the PHH System on February 1, 2020. I had many conversations with the people on the Hotline. They were all very courteous and willing to help if possible. Being an IT professional myself. I asked many in depth questions about their processes. They were very patient in answering my questions to the best of their ability. It is my nature to be precise and specific to understand the processes and to understand the length of time for them to work. On February 10, the data got loaded on to the system. I was able to register but the link failed. The next day they corrected the problem and was able to make the first payment. I am now a happy camper. I was a Software Engineer for IBM and Lockheed Martin for a total of 35 years.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Robert. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided by our team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I found him to be very patient with me. He explained everything piece by piece and after everything I was quite satisfied. He was a very good customer service rep for your company. He broke down everything for me including taxes, interest, insurance and the last thing he explained to me that the HAMP incentive $5000 has been has not been funded yet by the federal government so I thank you very much for everything. Thank you.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Frederick. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

These people are caring and understand our financial situation, especially during this time. They thieves to help and offer many different ways that are beneficial. Mostly, the Customer service Representatives are polite, pleasant very experienced and making you feel comfortable that you will be taken care of.

PHH Mortgage response

Juliet, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

Very understanding and worked with me. Was glad they had programs available. Appreciate the help! Sometimes people fall on hard times and just need a little help. Maybe one day I'll be able to return the favor. Otherwise I look forward to getting back to working and paying.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Daniel. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I called PHH Mortgage to ask two separate questions about my property tax and home insurance payments. The representative was quick to answer the phone, I didn’t have to hold. She was very polite and knowledgeable. She quickly verified my information and assisted me. The phone line was choppy, so we had to repeat often. At the end of our call she still thanked me for my patience with the phone line even though it wasn’t her fault.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Mary. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

My experience with PHH is been great! Special on this hard times hardship because of the coronavirus not being able to work also because my condition and my age this is great help. Customer service great. PHH mortgage services thanks PHH staff I'm very happy. Maria

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Maria. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Updated on 09/16/2020: PHH sends the can responses that they take complaints seriously. I have gotten this same response at least 20 times in the last weeks since contacting PHH. I was told three weeks ago PHH was processing a wire to restore the funds stolen by this mortgage company on August 31st, of which the rep took two mortgage payments. The money was taken electronically, and I insisted it would be return the same way. These so called escalation managers, told me DAILY, the wire was in process. Yesterday (9-15-20), I was told a check was mailed on Sept. 11th, but backdated to 9-2-20. This is nothing more than criminal, and an effort not to replenish the money, and add the interest of 3 weeks. In today's climate, I am not surprised with this company's dishonesty, and lack of consumer concern.

Original: I paid my mortgage on August 31, 2020. The representative processed two payments as opposed to the 1 authorized and owed. Every time I call, I’m told the refund is in process. It is like talking to robots. 12 days later, this business still is withholding my money. I been a loyal customer for 14 years, and this is the treatment in a pandemic. The “escalation” managers are useless. Don’t do business with this company!

PHH Mortgage response

Karen, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

PHH Mortgage Company Information