2.11/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years, PHH Mortgage has provided industry-leading mortgage services and helped countless homebuyers and homeowners find financing solutions to meet their needs. We are committed to providing personalized care and solutions to help our customers save money, build equity and most importantly, stay in their homes. Whether you need assistance with your current loan or are looking to purchase a new home or refinance, PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options.

3731 PHH Mortgage Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 11, 2019

My mortgage was just transferred from Ocwen to PHH on June 1, 2019. ALL I can say is that so far is, Yes I can see that Ocwen is still there standing with PHH on our behalf. Last year in 2018 we was approved for a loan modification when a illness that cause a hardship to take place. The HAMP program was able to modify our mortgage at a much lower interest rate of 2% that made our monthly payments more affordable..

In March of 2019 there was another hardship but Ocwen was able to set us up on a forbearance plan and we still had fallen behind so we was able to pay what we could at that time.. But Ocwen did not give up, they notify us about PHH transfer. We didn't give up, we prayed because we was now 5 months behind. So I contact PHH and every person that I talked to was so nice. They answered all my questions, they ask me when can we make the payment in full. PHH customer service made me feel like Ocwen is still there. I THANK YOU so much Ocwen/PHH mortgage for still being here for us....

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Pamela. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about Ocwen/PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2019

After reading all the negative experiences, I was honestly nervous about calling. I never had a problem with Ocwen other than the occasional language barrier but talking to the PHH representative was the easiest I have made in over ten years of having this loan. I was able to talk to her in less than two minutes, I am not joking. The lady was very nice and gave me all the information I needed to pay the loan. I was expecting after reading the other reviews that they were going to try to get me to mail it, which was no way going to happen or make it difficult to pay but she was great. I'm truly sorry other people had so many issues as I have been in their shoes from time to time with Ocwen, not often but it had happened. So far this company I really highly recommend.

Also I never do reviews. I know you see that from people but I really don't generally take the time because I don't have a strong enough opinion one way or another. The only reason I wrote this one was because of the huge amount of negative reviews that made me almost feel sick to my stomach to even call because I figured this was gonna be a long wait, a rude, unhelpful or someone I couldn't understand on the other line and it went fine.

PHH Mortgage response

Robin, thank you for your positive review and recommendation! It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about the great customer service you received from Jennifer. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

It was hard for me to maintain my house note. I have became blind and the same year my mother had passed away and I had give up on everything. But the company and staff never Let me down. When the the company needed their payments never told me I had to get out. It was months that I didn't have the money to pay my note. I cry everyday scared thinking no one cares. Couldn't go to family members and friends for nothing. Being blind and didn't have nowhere to go. But on the street. But thank god for the staff that work so hard for and still letting me know and showing more options to keep me in my house.

Everyone had close their door on me but Ocwen loan service. The staff never told me that it was not no hope and when I got the phone call from the staff. Each one of them kept working not to allow me not to give up and walk away. The lady said that the team had work it out. I didn't believe her. I thought it was someone just telling me that and the she was coming to put me out. No. They came to deliver me the paperwork to remain in my house. Thanks to god and the staff and company of Ocwen.giving me another chance not to become homeless. Thanks to the company that cares for all Ocwen. Thanks and I pray that you keep doing the right to help people in time of needs. God bless each one of you. Thanks and thank you lord for Ocwen being here for me when I needed the company the most. Kevin. Not homeless. Due to you all.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Kevin, for taking the time to share your experience with Ocwen! We are here to help our customers, and we are very happy to hear we were able to assist you during your time of need.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We, like many others in Florida, fell on hard times in 2006, and continued to struggle financially for several years. We were both realtors at the time, and as the housing market collapsed, so did our incomes. We quickly fell behind on our mortgage, and our mortgage itself went through the hands of 5 banks/service companies, which made coming up with a solution to our troubles even worse. We hired a lawyer and agreed to go mediation with one of the banks. We put together the paperwork necessary for compliance with the bank’s guidelines, but were denied a settlement and were given no basis for their decision. Our lawyer said he had never seen such a lack of effort on the banks part, and he was convinced the bank had no real interest in offering settlements.

Fortunately for us our mortgage was passed on to Ocwen, who holds our mortgage now. From the beginning, they were responsive and helpful, giving us a real sense they wanted to work something out, that they wanted to keep us in our home. It took some time, but Ocwen offered us a realistic solution, and I’m very happy to say we went from several years of trials, lawyer fees and uncertainty to 4 straight years of on time mortgage payments. We have made improvements to the house over these last few years, the neighborhood has benefitted from our improvements, we are happy to be here, and we hope the bank is happy with our on time payments. It’s been a win win all around, and certainly could not have been done without a great partner like Ocwen. Their customer service is excellent, very clear and responsive, and we look forward to making many more on time payments in the years to come!

PHH Mortgage response

Mark, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Ocwen! We are glad to hear we were able to assist you in keeping your home, and we do appreciate the opportunity to work with you. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we're delighted to read your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My experience with Ocwen loan services is the best, Whenever I need help Ocwen is always there for me. I got hurt at work and couldn't afford to pay my mortgage. Ocwen help me with a homeowners modification so that I can stay in my house. I don't know what I would have done if they were not there for me. I cannot thank Ocwen loan services enough for being there for me at my time of need. I am so grateful to have a loan service company like Gwen loan services.

I would recommend Ocwen to my family friends and to all the homeowners out there. My experience was easy to deal with because they gave me my own relationship manager to help me with the process. My relationship manager help me fill out the paperwork and stay in contact with me through the whole process. Now I can rest easy and sleep at night again. I don't know what I would have done without them. Thanks again Ocwen loan services. You're the best. My name is Tonya ** and I've been in my home for 14 years now. Thank you so much Ocwen loan services.

PHH Mortgage response

Tonya, we are delighted to read your feedback about your experience with Ocwen! We appreciate the opportunity to work with you, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for the recommendation!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Ocwen transferred my mortgage to PHH. All was fine until I received a call today Telling me they are trying to collect my Aug. payment. So I check with my bank, as I make payments electronically and had no problem for the months leading up this. My bank showed the payment was made on the 2nd of the month. Then the caller looked up my payments and found they had applied it to some other account making my account late. She would not tell me where it had been applied, just that she would correct the error and that I was not late, and hung up. I do not trust these people and would not recommend them to anyone.

PHH Mortgage response

Charles, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I contacted PHH to do a refinance. The beginning process was fine. Once I submitted my information. I received no response. I waited 10 days and finally called. I sat on hold for 2 hours and 15 minutes. The person I spoke with could not help but sent an email to processor to contact me. I waited 5 days and received no response. I sent 2 follow up emails 2 days apart still no response. I had great service from Ocwen, PHH is terrible. Now looking to refinance via another company. I would not suggest doing any kind of refinancing with PHH.

PHH Mortgage response

Melissa, we're sorry to hear about your experience with PHH. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I tried a few times asking them for rules on closing an escrow account, they never respond to me. They won't let me close my escrow but not specify any reason. During my initial request of the cancellation, I was told on the phone that I should be allowed to close it - my payment history is in very good standing. This is an irresponsible and irresponsive business just trying to hold more money from the borrower. DON'T EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!

PHH Mortgage response

Weijie, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding escrow closure. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Ocwen acccount owner and do not have an official completed trial modification. In February 2019 I was approved for a trial modification beginning first payment April 1, 2019. Under a trial modification I have until the end of the month to submit the payment. The account was transferred over to PHH on April 10th. April 30th I went to Western Union to submit my first payment and spent this time on my lunch hour, after 5 attempts Western Union would not accept the payment stating it was the wrong billing account number that PHH provided on the package I received in the mail. I called twice while trying to make this payment and the service at PHH was horrible.

No one could assist me. All they suggested was to make the payment over the phone with my checking account. Under a trial plan no one will accept a trial plan payment over the phone not even Ocwen. All payment must be made by overnight processing, Western Union or bank check. Never ever a personal checking account. Even though I did try this route I contacted PHH at 8:15 pm in the evening on April 30th, sat on the phone for 45 minutes and sat on the phone while the phone was literally disconnected. Tells me that PHH shut the phone lines down, the wait time was 45 minutes and decreased as the minutes wound down till 9:00 pm. Contacted PHH again I had to start the process all over again for a loan modification and was denied on July 19th because the April 2019 payment was missed. Not my fault but the fault of PHH Mortgage services.

Then to make matters worse Chapter 13 bankruptcy was filed in 2008 after the death of my mother to save the home and property. Everything was discharged and today PHH Mortgage service attacked me and my Experian by adding this account to my Experian. PHH Mortgage service holds nothing from me that shows my signature that the trial modification was completed. My credit score reduced by 75 points and have screwed my credit profile and my chances to even think of re financing and trying to get away from PHH the mortgage ** of the north east.

After today the fire in me is not over and my next complaint is with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. You can cover up the smell of ** by changing names. What smells like ** will always smell like **. The rest of the positive reviews on this site for PHH Mortgage are a joke. Probably written by the employees of the company. My heart aches for the employees who have to work for an organization that screws the lives of home owners and their credit reports. I am a victim here.

PHH Mortgage response

Michael, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving these issues. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My mortgage was transferred to PHH in June 2019 from Ocwen. It has been nothing short of a nightmare dealing with PHH. Customer service phone number always has a long wait. I've been dropped multiple times after being on hold for 10+ minutes to only have to start process over. Sometimes put on hold and no one ever comes back on the line! Paperwork and processing for modification was delayed due to transition, credit reporting has been inaccurate for months and has seriously impacted our credit history. Multiple emails and faxes have been sent with credit reporting agency documentation and there has been no follow-up communication from PHH.

Most recently loan was reviewed with an off-scheduled escrow (after loan modification completed) PMI was added and increased our payment. When I called and questioned, I asked for and was told I would be sent paperwork of original loan indicating we had PMI and the parameters of such. I never received paperwork requested. Loan was reviewed again this month with an off-scheduled escrow and now PMI has fallen off. That raises red flags for me on how my loan is being managed. Very frustrating to deal with.

PHH Mortgage response

Mary, we apologize for the issues you've experienced during this transition. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

PHH Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company has options for VA, FHA, conventional and HARP loans. They also offer mortgage refinancing services. They offer loans to people with all types of credit. An experienced loan officer can help you determine what type of mortgage you should apply for.

• Online mortgage calculator: Use PHH Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to determine what monthly payment you can make based on your budget and existing debt.

• Apply online: Get started with your mortgage or refinance application online with PHH Mortgage’s easy online application.

• Fast and easy pre approval: Get preapproved for a mortgage quickly. This can let home sellers know that you’re serious about buying a house and prove that you can qualify for the mortgage to cover it.

• Loan options: PHH Mortgage has loan options for every type of homebuyer. You can get a conventional, FHA, VA or HARP loan, or you can refinance your house for a lower interest rate.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

PHH Mortgage Company Information