2. Mortgages

4.1/5 (196 ratings)

About PHH Mortgage

PHH Mortgage has provided mortgage services and financing solutions for more than 30 years. PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options, including options for those purchasing a new home or refinancing.

Pros

• Offers home loans and refinancing
  • 24/7 online account access
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Does not offer HELOC programs
  • Mixed reviews for customer service

Bottom Line

PHH helps home buyers navigate the homebuying process and offers a variety of loan options for first-time homebuyers, seasoned homebuyers and investors

Top PHH Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have a home loan that is with PHH. I was recently impressed by their friendly and helpful staff. They helped me delay my payments, but this isn’t the only time they have exceede...

Verified

The PHH rep who was providing assistance went above and beyond the call of duty to help me retrieve my paperwork, even though my account had been closed and transferred to a third...

What is PHH Mortgage?

PHH Mortgage offers a variety of services for homebuyers and business owners. PHH Mortgage focuses on helping people buy homes or investment properties. It has flexible financing options and loan terms, and the company provides resources to help buyers make informed and confident decisions. PHH Mortgage also offers business services, including subservicing, partner portfolio management and investor services.

PHH Homebuying

The PHH Mortgage team walks homebuyers through every step of the homebuying process. Its representatives help customers determine how much they can afford, discuss down payment options and closing costs, set monthly payments and navigate additional expenses like insurance and utilities.

First-time homebuyers
PHH Mortgage offers first-time homebuyers the support and resources they need to navigate the homebuying process. This includes walking you through the preapproval process, exploring your options for loan terms and joining you for the home inspection process. Its representatives help first-time homebuyers through the closing process and answer all questions until you have the keys to your new home.
Next homes
If you’ve purchased a home before, PHH can help you finance your next home if you’re looking to downsize or upgrade. The company can help repeat homebuyers choose the best mortgage and decide between fixed-rate mortgages and adjustable-rate loans.
Vacation homes
Buying a second home or vacation property is similar to buying a primary residence, but PHH helps you understand taxes, equity and rental potential for a second home. It offers a vacation homebuying checklist so you can make a vacation home purchase with confidence.
Investment properties
PHH Mortgage helps new investors enter the property investment market and seasoned investors fine-tune their strategies. Talk to the company’s mortgage experts about loan options for investment properties.

PHH Refinancing

Refinancing can be a smart way to reduce your interest rates, shorten payment periods or lower monthly payments. Whether you need to take cash out or change your loan options, PHH makes it easy to understand your options and save money in the process.

PHH Home Insurance

Buying a home means buying insurance — this can be a confusing process, especially for first-time homeowners. PHH offers a wide range of insurance products, including flood, accidental death and homeowners insurance. It also assists with home warranties and identity fraud protection.

PHH Mortgage rates

Mortgage rates change frequently, and it’s a good idea to get rates from several mortgage lenders before making a final decision.

PHH is one of the top five mortgage companies in the country and offers fixed-rate loans with terms up to 40 years. Its simple online loan application process lets you see the types of loans you qualify for. The company’s rates are typically competitive with the market.

PHH Mortgage FAQ

How do I make a payment on PHH Mortgage?
PHH Mortgage’s innovative website lets you access your account 24/7 and make payments online. You can also submit your payment by phone.
Does PHH Mortgage have a grace period?
There is a 15-day grace period for mortgage payments.
Does PHH Mortgage accept cards?
Yes. You can pay with a Visa, Mastercard or Discover card. You can also make payments through Apple Pay or your bank account.

Is PHH Mortgage a good company?

PHH is a leading mortgage company in the United States. Its rates are competitive, and it offers a variety of services for homebuyers. Customers give mixed feedback on customer service, but many report being satisfied with its flexible payment plans. We recommend PHH as an educational resource for those buying homes for the first time or those looking to switch up their real estate financing options.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

My monthly mortgage payment was made by the due date but after hours. My husband has been in the hospital for some time after suffering a stroke and I just honestly forgot my payment with so many other things going on this month. I made the payment after hours; but the next morning I received an email advising my payment was late. I called PHH, explained the timing of my payment and my personal issues with my husband and the agent could not have been more pleasant. She first gave her good wishes for a speedy recovery and then looked at my payment. It turns out the payment was processing, not yet processed.

I asked about late fees as I have never in my life paid my mortgage payment late nor any other payment for that matter. The agent stated she would monitor my account and if she saw a late payment applied she would do her best to have it removed. My call was over in less than 5 minutes. She confirmed my payment, advised she would try to have the late charge removed (if applied), AND offered her good wishes to my husband. A very pleasant customer experience.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Debra. We wish a speedy recovery for your husband and hope that things get better for you in the coming future. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

2020 was a tough year but thankfully PHH is my mortgage company who went above and beyond to show me they care. Empathy is not the same as sympathy... PHH has agents who put themselves in my shoes (and many others) to figure out a plan (or option) that would help get us through these uncertain times vs saying “I’m sorry, when can you pay?”. Every time I called customer service with questions, I was treated with respect and felt I had a ‘partner’ who wanted to help me succeed during the pandemic versus saying tough luck! Because of them and their resources, I’m finally able to get back on my feet and continue living in my dream home I worked so hard for. This company listens. They care. They want families to have a roof over their head and go above and beyond to help them out. Thank you, I appreciate your support!

PHH Mortgage response

Shalee, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with PHH. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Your response to our survey: I had a real lousy situation to deal with which had to do with my escrow status in 2021 which I learned about from a letter I received from PHH. The letter had tons of data and information and instructions for me to follow based on the fact that in June of 2000, my house insurance increased quite a bit. After studying the phh letter, I called a woman in India who works for phh. She and I reviewed my situation and she helped me to make the decision to fix the issue I had to increase my 2001 escrow expense per month. She did an outstanding job. Give her a raise!

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Peter. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I gave the extremely highest rating because from the very beginning due to the pandemic you have been very considerate and worked with me during my financial difficulty, and for that I'm appreciative. When people are faced with hard times and it seems no one cares to assist that is very difficult and an hard pill to swallow; especially when you have previously paid your bills on time, but now due to circumstances beyond control it puts you in a bad position. We need more companies like you who care about your customers. Thanks so Much!

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Toi. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

The associate that I spoke with about my concerns, was very helpful and understanding. I felt that she really cared about my concerns, and assured me that she would do all that she could to answer any and all of my questions, and that I should not worry. She took the necessary time to explain in detail what my options were, and to help me decide what was the best course of action to take at this time. I appreciated the fact that she was able to pick up on the sound of uneasiness in my voice, and took the time to put my fears at ease, and assured me that they are there to help us as homeowners, in any way they can during this most difficult time during this pandemic.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Cynthia. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

PHH took over my mortgage from Amerihome and unexpectedly and without explanation, my escrow jumped up $1100. PHH not only had no explanation, but no interest in helping me figure out the problem. They kept putting me on hold and delaying any action and telling me to wait, that they were going to help, that they would get to the bottom of this, but I had to do all the work and furnish them with the information, and even still they wanted more and more time to ascertain what I was giving them directly from the City Tax and Assessors Offices.

They will tell you what you want to hear, but they will always request more and more time (in my case, now over three weeks) to do this and that and then the other thing, but in reality, they are not doing anything except waiting for you to give them information because they haven't a clue how to run a Mortgage Co. They are all misfits from somewhere else, (India) and they simply feed you the Company line about how they are going to help and how they want to verify and how they need more time because they are operating in the Stone Age with Fred Flintstone computers. Don't believe it! They are lazy liars with no interest in you or your problem. They will only protect the Company despite the truth and what you and the City tax assessor and finance dept. know to be correct. FIND ANOTHER MORTGAGE CO. FAST!!!!

PHH Mortgage response

Christian, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

My home mortgage was purchased by PHH Mortgage. My previous mortgage company let me pay bi-weekly for free and I could set it up online. PHH Mortgage? Not them. They have to physically MAIL you a form to set up bi-weekly payments (what year is it?) and on top of that, they charge you a $3 fee EVERY TIME you make a bi-weekly payment! That's $72 a year I would waste on a service that actually costs a fraction of a penny to send. AVOID this company. They are out of date, and love to nickel-and-dime their customers for "convenience."

PHH Mortgage response

Steven, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

One word, incompetent. The words of the agents sound friendly and they apologize often, but this is due to severe incompetence of PHH. From day one of my mortgage I requested a bi weekly payment set up to match my pay schedule. I was forced to submit application twice and asked a THIRD time because they have no record. They still use FAX MACHINE. I was promised multiple times the bi weekly would start, but when I called to confirm (they never return calls) I was repeated told that it was not set up and they have no notes in the system to verify activity. DO NOT USE THIS MORTGAGE COMPANY.

PHH Mortgage response

Giovanni, we do take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving your concerns regarding biweekly payment setup. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

My PHH refinance was quick, no hassle, no pressure. The staff are knowledgeable and courteous. They took care of all the little things, and the big things with no fussing. I’ll use them again in the future, for all my mortgage and financing needs. Thanks PHH!

PHH Mortgage response

Hugh, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with PHH. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we look forward to working with you.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Whatever problems I’ve had they are right on it, getting the problem solved for me, never have had a hassle. On my refinance, they were very easy to deal with and played no games with me. Everything was on the up and up. A good company to deal with.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, George. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

PHH Mortgage Company Information