1.17/5
Based on 268 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

349 PHH Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This company has held my mortgage for over 6 years and I can honestly say they're horrible. Every time I need something (once a year or so) I am reminded how horrible their customer service is. You can't get a hold of anyone. They never call you back. Their website is riddled with bugs. Recently I've tried to change the bank account that I auto-pay from but their website crashes each time I try to change the account. It's been over 3 weeks since I've tried to contact them and I get an auto message saying they'll call me back within 24 business hours. 3 weeks and still no call back. Then they randomly responded to one of my emails saying I don't have a direct-pay currently. Well, that's absolutely false. I've been auto-paying two times a month for 6.5 years. I'm honestly considering refinancing my mortgage just so I can get rid of this company (is that even possible?).

Original review: July 17, 2018

I got a call from someone at PHH mortgage informing me my mortgage payment was overdue. I mailed the mortgage payment on the 1st of the month. (Due on the 10th). They called on the 17th asking me for credit card information to make the payment good. I informed them I need to call the bank to find out if the check I sent had cleared. Called the bank right away and it had not cleared so I had the bank cancel the check and called PHH back to make funds available to them. They informed me that there would also be a $28.38 late fee and a $17.50 service charge for their collection agency.

Whoa! In twenty years we have not made a late mortgage payment and they want to treat us like that for a mail problem? They basically told us that if we didn't pay the extra charges that it would be reported to the credit bureau. Come to find out they sent us a letter previously with a new mailing address for mortgage payments. That is where the check went. We were told by the PHH rep on the phone that was not the correct address. Didn't matter we were paying the full amount at that moment. Pay the extra fees or else. I would recommend against doing any business with PHH mortgage.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

When I bought out my co-owner of our 2 family house, PHH was who I turned to and they made the whole transaction effortless. A few years later when interest rates were lowered I refinanced my mortgage and again they made it a stress less experience for me.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Hours posted for technical support are until 8pm ET but when you call they close at 5PM. No one can help and to set up an account for online viewing is a joke. I have spent several days and spoken with several people who all claim to get me logged in online and then when I try it doesn't work. They are all incompetent, don't know what they are doing and don't have a clue how to help. And they don't CARE!!! How this company is still in business I don't have a clue. I wish my mortgage was paid off already and I was done with them. The only personnel I speak to are in another country and have a hard time understanding what I want.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Absolute joke of a company! I called for the details of my payoff to find out exactly what would happen when we paid off our mortgage. I was told within 2 days I would have my escrow refund mailed to me, so with the postal service it would be a week or so. A MONTH after the mortgage was paid off I called again, they now tell me 25 days after the mortgage is paid off they will issue a check. What a bunch of liars!!! I can guarantee you if I held my mortgage payment for a month and a half the shoe would not fit on the other foot. I would never consider dealing with this company again, never!!! Keep someone's money for a month and a half that does not belong to you is pure wrong. I hope others read this and heed warning. BTW their email system doesn't work either, they say they will get back to you in 24 hours, another lie.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: April 16, 2018

They truly are a horrible company to deal with. I went through a refinance with them that they screwed up so badly I was given the option to cancel and get all my money back. I so wish I could have. The government wouldn't let me. They said I started with them and so I had to continue to work with them. Consumer Affairs representative was absolutely no help and could have cared less. Now my loan is back with them and I am wondering how it is that they are allowed to make money on your payment to them by using a third party source. Why are they not taking payments directly like every other business I pay monthly. Total rip off. Please do not use PHH for your banking needs!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I had a home mortgage with PHH for many years **. In June of 2016, I paid off the mortgage. In 2017, I discovered that the loan was still appearing on my credit report. I called three times to find out why they had not sent a lien release to my county clerk. They said they did. The clerk said they did not receive. Twice I asked for PHH to send me a copy of the lien release, which by law they are supposed to provide me. I wrote a letter asking for a copy of it. It has been over a month and I have not heard a word from PHH and the loan still appears on my credit report. I am trying to do a reverse mortgage, but cannot due to the PHH mortgage still appearing on my credit report.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

PHH has caused more stress and trauma than losing my home, job and town due to Hurricane Harvey, I was given 3 month deferred payments Sept-Dec 1. Told I qualified for up to 12 months. On Dec 1 asked for 3 more months only. I was given “homework that never satisfied them.“ Ex: Need second page of bank statements even though it was blank etc. This was 2-3 calls weekly and everyone would give me different info. My case manager was always condescending and made me cry. I was sent a notice that all paperwork etc was due by 2/4/2018.

On 1/19/2018 I called to report I found a cash buyer. I was informed my loan was sent to foreclosure law office on 1/18/2018. My notice of “intent to foreclose" was mailed on 1/19/2018 and received by me on 1/24/2018. Legally I was still in deferment. After many calls (trying to get info is like extracting teeth) I called the law office and told to call mortgage back and ask for reinstatement payoff. Told yes, then no, maybe, then no as I was driving to wire money to them. I called law office back and thankfully the paralegal was able to pull strings, got my reinstatement payoff. I ended up with 400$ atty fees even though they had it for less than 24 hours.

PHH then said foreclosure will be lifted in 7 days, next call it would take 37 days etc. This misinformation was ongoing and no one could tell me why no one knew what was being said even though they were “writing own all the information given” to me. That was a joke. I begged for someone to expedite as the closing date was in one week. I asked for a supervisor, he told me nothing could be done even though I was reinstated, had a cash buyer and could pay off mortgage. In two hours I received a call that foreclosure was lifted and title company could obtain payoff. Long story but I will never get over the treatment and blatant lies from this crooked company. This company bought my loan without my knowledge and I’ll never ever use or recommend them. Incompetent is understatement.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We received a loan modification... Yippee... They raised our rate by almost a point. And raised our payment by 200 per month and they told us to not make payments until it was done. When we asked why they said it was the best deal for the investor. IF YOU are ever forced in dealing with this company I urge you to find the quickest way to move away.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I have had nothing but problems since I went with PHH Mortgage Servicing. My first statement was sent to the rental property address not my mailing address. I only went with this refinance because my financial advisor said he could get us good rates. The closing costs and escrow fees pretty much made that not to be a true statement. The annual tax forms came from the mortgage company and there was no interest shown for all of the money in my impound account.

They said that because they were an out of California mortgage company they were not bound by California State tax regulations, thus I did not receive interest on my account. Same the second year end. But by the third year they were paying the interest and reporting it. Also, I have not received statements for 3 of the 12 months of 2017. I called and they said it would take 2 weeks to process my request for a replacement statement, by that time the payment would be late. Very poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I bought a house in 06/2006 in Tampa, FL through USAA. PHH bought the mortgage shortly thereafter. I can’t recall any major issues until I received orders to move to Little Rock AFB in 10/2010. I had the house on the market as early as 07/2010 with no offers. 11/2010 I received a low ball offer from an investor, this is where my nightmare with them began. I don’t know how many times I sent them the same paperwork with it being lost each time. I would be assigned a “loan officer” who I could never get on the phone. Then when I was able to get a live person on the phone I was told that person no longer works with them and I’d be assigned a new loan officer and have to submit the paperwork again. It literally took them until 07/2011 to say the short sale was approved, 8 months after the offer was submitted. No investor is going to wait for 8 months for a short sale.

I stopped making the payments 08/2011 because I could no longer afford rent and a mortgage. I retired from the military in 11/2012 and made the decision to move back to WA. I made several other attempts to do short sales or deed-in-lieu of with the same results, paperwork kept getting lost etc. I even contacted their attorney because people were starting to move into the property, the water company called me to ask if I knew so and so because he was trying to get water turned on in my name. I explained to PHH that I have retired so if they were waiting for verification that the Soldiers Sailors Civil Relief Act was no longer applicable to me since I’ve retired and to go forward with the foreclosure, this was in 2013.

Fast forward to 2015 I finally got the notification from them that they were auctioning off the house 06/01/2015. During that time frame I was deemed 80% disabled through the VA. I found an attorney on 05/29/2015 that was willing to file Ch 7 bankruptcy based on the disability. That postponed the auction which was my final ** to PHH because they had to sit on the house for another 3.5 months until the bankruptcy was discharged. Bottom line, they screwed my credit up big time by not wanting to work with me on selling the property. They also got less at the auction than what the investor was willing to pay. They also could not come after me for the difference since I filed Ch 7 prior to auction. Avoid them at all cost, they definitely don’t care about their customers. I’m surprised that they’re even allowed to stay in business and that a class action lawsuit hasn’t been filed for their shady practices.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Going thru another lying situation with this place. Was told by a case manager and instructed on a serious transaction. This was to prevent foreclosure on a second property. Well he was full of total **. Can swim out of this, but it comes with a lot of stress. Welcome 2018. The only thing they are concerned with is the 3 question survey after causing chaos... Country is going down the toilet... Hope it does. Screw PHH!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Luckily, we don't need this company and I will pull our financing this week to another bank, but they have extremely poor communication and processing of insurance claim money post Harvey. They escrow your repair checks from the insurance company and create extreme hurdles for you to jump through to get the money to pay your contractors. Luckily, our repairs were within our own budget and we could float the contractors the money while waiting on PHH but their service is horrible and I wouldn't finance even a very small project through this company. Looking forward to moving our business for our weekend rental property to one of our other banking institutions.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

These people cut my income to a third then made me pay off all kinds of accounts and at the end they denied me for too many obligations. After I paid off all my debt they used that excuse. They're a bunch of crooks. Stay clear and don’t even waste your time. I ended up using my local bank and now I’m done.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I would agree with everything negative I have read about this company. If I could rate it minus stars I would. I bought my house 3 1/2 years ago and Lender Live held my mortgage for a while and then sold it to PHH Mortgage. PHH called me in June of 2017 and asked me if I would like to lower my monthly payments. They of course pre-qualified me and said there should be no problems. I immediately sent them all of the information that they asked for. For the next 5 months they would call every few days saying they needed more information, asking sometimes for information that did not exist. I receive a paycheck from a company and they insisted on that company's information that had nothing to do with my loan. They insisted on me paying my property taxes two months prior to their due date to confirm I could afford it. I did.

I have a credit score in the 800's and my husband's is 794, they were going to lower my payments $250 per month and decided I could not afford the lower amount and yet they carry my loan and know that I have never missed and never been late with a payment. I actually paid an extra $100,000.00 on my loan just last year, they know that. My house is 3/4's paid for. I have no other outstanding debt anywhere. They kept bugging me about why my income from one of my 3 businesses was down. I explained I was a senior citizen and no longer needed the income, so just worked that business for personal pleasure, and told them to look at one of the other businesses that I had owned and operated for 37 years that had good income.

They weren't interested in that company. Over and over they wanted bank statements but would not look at savings accounts, investments or any other form of net worth. They were rude and set deadline after deadline for me to send information and they themselves would let those deadlines pass and then tell me I would end up with higher rates because of it. After 5 months of that, they finally told me I did not qualify and charged me $581 and some change. They wasted so much of my time to collect their $581. I feel like they did not want to lose the income they were already making from me. My goal is to pay the house and get out of this loan as quickly as possible.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We were contacted by PHH with a refinance offer, after my husband had submitted an inquiry about refinancing. My husband had many questions about fees, and he was told if we backed out of the loan, we would be charged $250. We had an appraisal, completed the paperwork, and were told the closing would occur at the end of the month, but then hurricane Irma hit within a week. As a result, we had some roof damage. PHH called us to see how everything was after the hurricane and we told them we had some roof damage and we had to file an insurance claim. They began calling my husband while he was at work, every 3 to 5 days, asking if we had made the repairs, so they could do a second appraisal, and continue with the closing. We told them we were still waiting for the adjuster to come out to access the roof.

Our insurance company was backed out with claims from the hurricane and because there were so many claims, they had a shortage of adjusters. Also, we let them know there was no way we could personally control how long it would take for an adjuster to come out. This was so frustrating to us because we had just gone through the traumatic experience of a hurricane and now we were being pressured to speed up a process that was completely out of our control and frustrating. About two and a half, or three weeks after the hurricane, PHH told us they had to cancel the refinance because we were taking too long to make repairs. This was really upsetting.

To top it all off, a few days later they went into our bank account and took out $642. We received a letter stating our house did not pass inspection, although a second appraisal had never been performed. Anyway, we have called them and the loan originator said, he personally has never heard of a situation like ours, and he would look into why we were charged for an appraisal on a refinance that they canceled. I am waiting to hear back from him. It speaks for itself. Presently, I am looking into the matter; as one would think there would be provisions for hurricanes.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Our house is financed with PHH Mortgage and has been for some time. We have been trying to refinance the same house with them, since 7/4/2017. I have done most of the work for them and as of this date I do not have a closing date. We have been through three separate people handling our loan as of today. They have lost the various items of paperwork to handle this closing no less than three separate times on three separate items. I just want out of the refi at no cost. I am going to file multiple complaints at every agency that monitors and audits the mortgage industry. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

PHH Mortgage should not be allowed to issue Veterans Administration (VA) supported loans. Young military family forced to move due to military orders at a time when the single-family sales market was down creating a sales price below mortgage payoff. PHH Mortgage and their investors, purposely have procession designed to abuse and torture the parties involved in attempt to chase away from the sales deal. Once they achieve their goal chasing the parties away, they force a foreclosure to dump property on Secretary of Veteran Affairs. This also damages the young military families credit history and taste of home ownership in the future... All because they used PHH Mortgage to lend on their home purchase. Bad company, does not support customers/borrowers when unfortunate situations incur. #PHHMortgagebad #VAmortgageanyonebutPHHMortgage.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My Federal Credit Union sold my mortgage to this joke of a company! I did a 15 yr mortgage and never had an issue until these jokes took over. First time ever I missed a payment because they messed up my direct payment method and then I got a foreclosure notice when I owed less than $5000.00! I called the atty in Philly. He obviously know what scammers he is dealing with done... all good!

So today get my statement. I owe 1000.63 next payment October so I call and this thing with an indian accent tells me his name is Rocky ** really and gave me ridiculous information... sad and people from foreign countries wonder why they get a bad rap!!! This whatever acted like I was bothering him/her and frankly it sounded from background noise they were in a garage somewhere with 100s of them scamming us hard working tax paying individuals... seriously want to puke! Guess what I will pay the price quoted for payoff this week when it is a few 100 more than my statement received today just to get rid of the pukes! And never ever again will I be so stupid. If I ever do a loan again I will make the institution sign a notarized sworn statement that prior to them selling me off to the dogs. I will have a choice to back out!!! God Bless America!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Our mortgage was sold to PHH Mortgage over 1 year ago. I had given approval for automatic draft to the prior lender so apparently it transferred to PHH Mortgage. A couple months in I was told that I didn't have sufficient escrow allocated so set up a higher automatic payment per month with them. For several months my savings account was drafted twice -once for the prior and once for the new amount. I called several times to sort this out and each time they gave me a different explanation. Finally I put a 'stop payment' for one of the payments through my bank.

Now they are charging me $50 service fee for this, even though they acknowledge that my account is in good standing. They say there is no record of me calling to cancel one of the two payments!?!? Months of frustration with this company. I refinanced for the same rate just to get away from this company. I cannot prove it because I'm not an expert but this company seems to have fraudulent practices. I will never deal with them again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I am constantly contacted that I have not made my monthly payments but yet my checks clear the bank. I forward copies of ONLY line item of payment. They raised my mortgage due to taxes they said. How do they do that on a fixed rate etc. I sent in my normal payment and they returned THEIR check as they had cashed mine. I returned theirs asking to credit my account back. They again sent the exact same check back which I have returned again to them. Thinking if you cash their check they have a hand up on you.

Since this incident supposedly they have not received my last 2 payments of course there will be late fees (though for the last 1.5 years they have not had a problem receiving my payments). I believe they do this in order to try to rip people off. I have reached out to a real estate attorney. Maybe there is an attorney we all can file a lawsuit with against them. When a firm files a class action type of thing. (I am not a legal person).

Original review: July 27, 2017

My husband and I have been with PHH Mortgage for about 7 years and had nothing but nightmares with them. In 7 years we were 2 payments behind on our home equity and now they return 2 months of payments to make us late and 4 payments behind and sent to collections. They will not work with you and always an excuse payment takes 10 days to process. If we can get out of this home equity we would in a heartbeat. Do NOT go with PHH Mortgage services for any type of mortgage.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I've had two mortgages with PHH, neither of which originated with them, but were mortgages that they bought the paper on. I just sold one of the homes, which I hadn't seen in 7 years. We had to hold onto it and rent it out because of market conditions, lost all my equity and then some. When it closed I contacted PHH and was told that I needed to allow 15 days to receive the escrow repayment which passed on June 26th. On the 29th I called and was told "wait a day and call us back for options".

Well today was the 30th and I called back. I was told Pat ** is her of so every positive pitched voice, "Well it was cut and put in the mail. You'll just have to wait!" I asked for a supervisor and spoke with Nakisha ** who was no help as well, but her advice was "well it takes time for it to get into the mail system, you have to wait for another 7 to 10 business days..." So here's a mortgage company who doesn't make their payments in a reasonable amount of time and their excuse is "Check's in the mail!" I cannot tell you how important it is that if your loan originator syndicates your mortgage to PHH you need to refinance and move it to another group. We have had ZERO problems and wonderful customer service with our other mortgage at Wells Fargo.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have had quite many mortgages with different companies. This one is the worst. Here is how: They force you to have a escrow account for insurance and tax even if your LTV is below 80% or 70% or even 10%. The escrow account is mandatory for the entire time of loan period. They loan the money to charge you interest plus this fee and that fee. But when you loan them money, the escrow account, you got nothing. You loan to them for free.

One time, I accidentally paid the property tax myself this escrow account just the amount of property tax without returning it to me. It took me more than 3 calls and waited for 3 months to get the extra amount in escrow account returned to me. They use these extra 3-month cash flow to sell the loan to other customers. Once you requested to pay off the loan, they still hold the money in escrow account even after the pay-off date. I am waiting and seeing how long they are going to return it to me this time.

Their online website is horrible: buggy and slow. You can't imagine a finance related website can have so many problems. One time I wanted to change my password. It took me one hour on the phone waiting, transferring to different person, kill my internet browser, reboot my computer. All of all, I could not log in my account anymore. The company's customer service is horrible. The people on the other end of phone are robots, or worse than robots. RUN AWAY FROM PHH MORTGAGE AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Original review: June 7, 2017

After sending in an electronic mortgage payoff amount I was later informed that PHH still charged additional interest for 10 more days while waiting for the funds to clear. Mind you, they had already been in possession of the payoff funds for 5 days when I called yet rather than retroactively apply the funds after their self-imposed waiting period they wanted additional while satisfying their random 10-day waiting period. Additionally, the process of trying to get to someone with a functioning brain was extremely painful after being put on hold at least 10 times. This is a nothing more than a blatant scam to squeeze out a few extra bucks from a really good customer being treated poorly as a result of paying our mortgage off early.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I'm so sorry that USAA sky-hooked their mortgage services to PHH a few years back... it was like night and day. USAA didn't create a hassle at all, while PHH has an attitude that they got you by the balls so screw-you. They messed-up my payment schedule and started charging me late fees early 2016. I called and the guy on the phone verified that PHH was at fault, but 2 days later I got the up-yours letter from PHH in the mail [we're right you're wrong]. After I documented everything and mailed it off to them [took out a day of my time], they did correct the mistakes, but they never confirmed any of it or even notified me that the mistakes were reversed... I had to look it up on their website.

I paid off the mortgage early this year to close the dysfunctional relationship and the cheap idiots didn't even pay to have my county send me the release of the lien. I had to call the County Assessor to find out what was happening. My only hope is more banks drop these fools so the company collapses. I feel for their employees, but not that much... They know they're working for morons and are happy to do it.

Original review: May 19, 2017

PHH has held the mortgage for my home for 10 years. I've been posted overseas for 7 years so have been renting out the home. I have never missed a payment - never been late. The LTV is under 80% but PHH insists my home value is $100,000+ less than the original or current appraisal. I've called that worthless Philippines call-center multiple times, wrote emails and letters over the past 6 months with proof of current value . They have never responded. The PMI payment is just high enough to make continued renting unprofitable. So, I'm selling the house (got two offers in the first week confirming the 80% LTV). If the boneheads at PHH had responded to my inquiries, removed the PMI as they should have, I'd be holding on to the house as a rental and they'd be earning interest for the next 20 years. Instead they prefer to take Insurance company kickbacks from their despicable little PMI scam. Sad.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Ever since these pieces of crap bought our mortgage we've had issues. First, when they bought the loan, we spent MONTHS helping them get the payment from LenderLive, the entire time we had to deal with a back talking customer support woman. They told us we were liars about working w/ LL to get the payment forwarded and they claimed LL didn't send them the check. We had to get scans of the literal check and tracking before they magically found the check "stuck in receiving" - it was a wire transfer. If that wasn't enough, the destination for our check changed, and we were not notified- we kept getting phone calls from collections and were told that we were liars, until they magically discovered (again) that the checks were going to our Escrow.

We also got a phone call from our home insurance to notify us of a late payment because they didn't receive the latest check, lo and behold, PHH ** up the escrow and didn't have the proper information for our insurance company. Just today they called me again because our May balance was $500 higher because they hadn't been setting aside escrow properly, and the payment intended for May was applied 100% to principal. These people are incompetent, rude, bottom-feeders, and I would recommend avoiding them at all costs.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Our loan was sold to PHH Mortgage since 2015. This is the worst mortgage company as far as trying to make payments. They use a 3rd party system that charges an extra $7.50 per payment if you attempt it over the phone or the web. Links on their website for payment don't work, when you call to get transferred to the billing service it doesn't work either. What kind of company makes it this hard to make monthly payments. Beware, if trying to pay them is this tough, what's going to happen when you need real customer service?

Original review: May 6, 2017

I currently have a mortgage with PHH and was contacted by them for several months about a refi. Well I guess dumb old me assumed that with a few computer keystrokes I would be refinanced... WRONG!!! After months of back and forth I was turned down. My paperwork was sent to me and my credit score was 802 out of a possible 850 and my credit card was charged $742. I agreed to this charge if I terminated the refinancing after it was started... I never did that. They turned me down. So please don't fall this SCAM!!!

Not sure about PHH Mortgage?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Mortgage Lenders for you.

PHH Mortgage Company Information

www.phhmortgage.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business