1.93/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years, PHH Mortgage has provided industry-leading mortgage services and helped countless homebuyers and homeowners find financing solutions to meet their needs. We are committed to providing personalized care and solutions to help our customers save money, build equity and most importantly, stay in their homes. Whether you need assistance with your current loan or are looking to purchase a new home or refinance, PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

For four years, I dealt with Ocwen. Paid my mortgage on time, never had a problem. As soon as PHH took over, the problems began. PHH overpaid my taxes by several thousand dollars, then claimed my escrow was short, and jacked up my monthly payment from $740 to $940. I made TWELVE phone calls, waited on hold for over an hour total, was cutoff three times, and then sent THREE certified letters, all trying to get this fixed. And, there's no mystery: I have all of the tax records and payments to prove the mistake made by PHH. The best part? The fax number on the PHH website doesn't work, nor does their "email" address. The escalation phone number actually goes to a Walmart gift card helpline. Exasperated, I'm now talking with my PA State Representative who is in contact with the state banking regulators. This is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with. Avoid this company at all costs.

PHH Mortgage response

David, we apologize for the issues you've experienced with PHH and the frustration this has caused. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and contact you regarding the increase in your escrow payments.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Ocwen sold the note for my deceased mother's reverse mortgage to PHH. Since that time, they've claimed (falsely) that we've failed to provide information which I can prove we have provided. They claimed we didn't report monthly status on the sale of the property (proven to be false), claimed we didn't supply proof of insurance (also proven to be false), issued hazard insurance which we successfully proved they must refund to the estate, and now they are continuing to mail notices about the refund check to my deceased mother's address, after the property has been sold and their note has been satisfied, despite me calling multiple times and submitting their change of address form.

I know they're just hoping the mail forwarding order will expire, so when they send the check (incorrectly) to the decedent's former property address, they can claim it was returned to them as unforwardable, and hang onto the 3286 they owe the estate a few months longer while I continue to chase them down for what is owed back to the state.

PHH Mortgage response

Teresa, we take all feedback seriously, and we would appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Please send us a private message with the customer name and property address. We will then be able to research this and reach out to you to discuss further. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I was recently moved to PHH Mortgage from a previous provider. This company has been a horror to work with. They have refused to uphold the agreement to follow my previously established payment plan, even though they stated that I would be "grandfathered" in. They did follow through for the first few months of taking my mortgage from the previous company, but recently stopped without notification and now keep telling me that they never set me up with this type of payment plan. I struggled with this company right away and again am struggling. They are not consumer friendly, they do not work with the consumer to make sure payments are not causing a hardship, they always seem to hang up on me every time I am placed on hold so I have to call back multiple times. This forces me to start each conversation over and over. I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

PHH Mortgage response

Fawn, we appreciate you informing us of the issues you encountered with PHH. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I have had several telephone conversations and all the representatives were helpful, knowledgeable and courteous. They answered my questions and before the end of the conversations they will ask if I need any other help. Excellent!

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Enock. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

PHH is a terrible mortgage company that I was forced to use when my Ocwen loan was sold to them. The website is not usable since all major browsers block it due to it looking like a scam website due to a bad security certificate. PHH needs to pay the $49 annual fee to get a valid security certificate, but presumably they're so cheap they won't do so. mortagequestions.com (The bizarre name of PHH's loan servicing website) is simply not accessible.

PHH Mortgage response

Eric, we value your feedback and sincerely apologize for your experience. We appreciate the chance to improve our service and resolve any issues that our customers may have. Your account information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for a review and they will be contacting you regarding this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

The service I received was excellent. The gentleman who handled my call was extremely helpful. My payment had been declined due to insufficient funds. This was my error. I put more money into the bank account in question.. But now I was very concerned about being late in my payment. The gentleman understood my concern and was helpful to me.. I needed to know whether I should try to make another payment or whether PHH would run the earlier payment through again.

So the gentleman put me on a brief hold so that he could verify this with his boss. Very soon he was back with me to explain that PHH would indeed try the payment once again.

So there was nothing that I needed to do now. That was good news. While I was on the phone, he also told me that my payment amount would be going down in the near future. So that was even more good news. He didn't have to do this extra work because he had already served me. I believe you have a true asset in this gentleman. He is an excellent representative of PHH. You could certainly use him to train other telephone people in your company. Thank you so much, Stephen

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Stephen! It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about the excellent customer service provided by Garnet. We will be sure to share your feedback with him.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My mortgage was just transferred from Ocwen to PHH on June 1, 2019. ALL I can say is that so far is, Yes I can see that Ocwen is still there standing with PHH on our behalf. Last year in 2018 we was approved for a loan modification when a illness that cause a hardship to take place. The HAMP program was able to modify our mortgage at a much lower interest rate of 2% that made our monthly payments more affordable..

In March of 2019 there was another hardship but Ocwen was able to set us up on a forbearance plan and we still had fallen behind so we was able to pay what we could at that time.. But Ocwen did not give up, they notify us about PHH transfer. We didn't give up, we prayed because we was now 5 months behind. So I contact PHH and every person that I talked to was so nice. They answered all my questions, they ask me when can we make the payment in full. PHH customer service made me feel like Ocwen is still there. I THANK YOU so much Ocwen/PHH mortgage for still being here for us....

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Pamela. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about Ocwen/PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: May 29, 2019

After reading all the negative experiences, I was honestly nervous about calling. I never had a problem with Ocwen other than the occasional language barrier but talking to the PHH representative was the easiest I have made in over ten years of having this loan. I was able to talk to her in less than two minutes, I am not joking. The lady was very nice and gave me all the information I needed to pay the loan. I was expecting after reading the other reviews that they were going to try to get me to mail it, which was no way going to happen or make it difficult to pay but she was great. I'm truly sorry other people had so many issues as I have been in their shoes from time to time with Ocwen, not often but it had happened. So far this company I really highly recommend.

Also I never do reviews. I know you see that from people but I really don't generally take the time because I don't have a strong enough opinion one way or another. The only reason I wrote this one was because of the huge amount of negative reviews that made me almost feel sick to my stomach to even call because I figured this was gonna be a long wait, a rude, unhelpful or someone I couldn't understand on the other line and it went fine.

PHH Mortgage response

Robin, thank you for your positive review and recommendation! It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about the great customer service you received from Jennifer. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

It was hard for me to maintain my house note. I have became blind and the same year my mother had passed away and I had give up on everything. But the company and staff never Let me down. When the the company needed their payments never told me I had to get out. It was months that I didn't have the money to pay my note. I cry everyday scared thinking no one cares. Couldn't go to family members and friends for nothing. Being blind and didn't have nowhere to go. But on the street. But thank god for the staff that work so hard for and still letting me know and showing more options to keep me in my house.

Everyone had close their door on me but Ocwen loan service. The staff never told me that it was not no hope and when I got the phone call from the staff. Each one of them kept working not to allow me not to give up and walk away. The lady said that the team had work it out. I didn't believe her. I thought it was someone just telling me that and the she was coming to put me out. No. They came to deliver me the paperwork to remain in my house. Thanks to god and the staff and company of Ocwen.giving me another chance not to become homeless. Thanks to the company that cares for all Ocwen. Thanks and I pray that you keep doing the right to help people in time of needs. God bless each one of you. Thanks and thank you lord for Ocwen being here for me when I needed the company the most. Kevin. Not homeless. Due to you all.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Kevin, for taking the time to share your experience with Ocwen! We are here to help our customers, and we are very happy to hear we were able to assist you during your time of need.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We, like many others in Florida, fell on hard times in 2006, and continued to struggle financially for several years. We were both realtors at the time, and as the housing market collapsed, so did our incomes. We quickly fell behind on our mortgage, and our mortgage itself went through the hands of 5 banks/service companies, which made coming up with a solution to our troubles even worse. We hired a lawyer and agreed to go mediation with one of the banks. We put together the paperwork necessary for compliance with the bank’s guidelines, but were denied a settlement and were given no basis for their decision. Our lawyer said he had never seen such a lack of effort on the banks part, and he was convinced the bank had no real interest in offering settlements.

Fortunately for us our mortgage was passed on to Ocwen, who holds our mortgage now. From the beginning, they were responsive and helpful, giving us a real sense they wanted to work something out, that they wanted to keep us in our home. It took some time, but Ocwen offered us a realistic solution, and I’m very happy to say we went from several years of trials, lawyer fees and uncertainty to 4 straight years of on time mortgage payments. We have made improvements to the house over these last few years, the neighborhood has benefitted from our improvements, we are happy to be here, and we hope the bank is happy with our on time payments. It’s been a win win all around, and certainly could not have been done without a great partner like Ocwen. Their customer service is excellent, very clear and responsive, and we look forward to making many more on time payments in the years to come!

PHH Mortgage response

Mark, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Ocwen! We are glad to hear we were able to assist you in keeping your home, and we do appreciate the opportunity to work with you. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we're delighted to read your feedback.

PHH Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company has options for VA, FHA, conventional and HARP loans. They also offer mortgage refinancing services. They offer loans to people with all types of credit. An experienced loan officer can help you determine what type of mortgage you should apply for.

• Online mortgage calculator: Use PHH Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to determine what monthly payment you can make based on your budget and existing debt.

• Apply online: Get started with your mortgage or refinance application online with PHH Mortgage’s easy online application.

• Fast and easy pre approval: Get preapproved for a mortgage quickly. This can let home sellers know that you’re serious about buying a house and prove that you can qualify for the mortgage to cover it.

• Loan options: PHH Mortgage has loan options for every type of homebuyer. You can get a conventional, FHA, VA or HARP loan, or you can refinance your house for a lower interest rate.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

PHH Mortgage Company Information