2. Mortgages

4.4/5 (261 ratings)

About PHH Mortgage

PHH Mortgage has provided mortgage services and financing solutions for more than 30 years. PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options, including options for those purchasing a new home or refinancing.

Pros

• Offers home loans and refinancing
  • 24/7 online account access
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Does not offer HELOC programs
  • Mixed reviews for customer service

Bottom Line

PHH helps home buyers navigate the homebuying process and offers a variety of loan options for first-time homebuyers, seasoned homebuyers and investors

Top PHH Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have a home loan that is with PHH. I was recently impressed by their friendly and helpful staff. They helped me delay my payments, but this isn’t the only time they have exceede...

Verified

The PHH rep who was providing assistance went above and beyond the call of duty to help me retrieve my paperwork, even though my account had been closed and transferred to a third...

What is PHH Mortgage?

PHH Mortgage offers a variety of services for homebuyers and business owners. PHH Mortgage focuses on helping people buy homes or investment properties. It has flexible financing options and loan terms, and the company provides resources to help buyers make informed and confident decisions. PHH Mortgage also offers business services, including subservicing, partner portfolio management and investor services.

PHH Homebuying

The PHH Mortgage team walks homebuyers through every step of the homebuying process. Its representatives help customers determine how much they can afford, discuss down payment options and closing costs, set monthly payments and navigate additional expenses like insurance and utilities.

First-time homebuyers
PHH Mortgage offers first-time homebuyers the support and resources they need to navigate the homebuying process. This includes walking you through the preapproval process, exploring your options for loan terms and joining you for the home inspection process. Its representatives help first-time homebuyers through the closing process and answer all questions until you have the keys to your new home.
Next homes
If you’ve purchased a home before, PHH can help you finance your next home if you’re looking to downsize or upgrade. The company can help repeat homebuyers choose the best mortgage and decide between fixed-rate mortgages and adjustable-rate loans.
Vacation homes
Buying a second home or vacation property is similar to buying a primary residence, but PHH helps you understand taxes, equity and rental potential for a second home. It offers a vacation homebuying checklist so you can make a vacation home purchase with confidence.
Investment properties
PHH Mortgage helps new investors enter the property investment market and seasoned investors fine-tune their strategies. Talk to the company’s mortgage experts about loan options for investment properties.

PHH Refinancing

Refinancing can be a smart way to reduce your interest rates, shorten payment periods or lower monthly payments. Whether you need to take cash out or change your loan options, PHH makes it easy to understand your options and save money in the process.

PHH Home Insurance

Buying a home means buying insurance — this can be a confusing process, especially for first-time homeowners. PHH offers a wide range of insurance products, including flood, accidental death and homeowners insurance. It also assists with home warranties and identity fraud protection.

PHH Mortgage rates

Mortgage rates change frequently, and it’s a good idea to get rates from several mortgage lenders before making a final decision.

PHH is one of the top five mortgage companies in the country and offers fixed-rate loans with terms up to 40 years. Its simple online loan application process lets you see the types of loans you qualify for. The company’s rates are typically competitive with the market.

PHH Mortgage FAQ

How do I make a payment on PHH Mortgage?
PHH Mortgage’s innovative website lets you access your account 24/7 and make payments online. You can also submit your payment by phone.
Does PHH Mortgage have a grace period?
There is a 15-day grace period for mortgage payments.
Does PHH Mortgage accept cards?
Yes. You can pay with a Visa, Mastercard or Discover card. You can also make payments through Apple Pay or your bank account.

Is PHH Mortgage a good company?

PHH is a leading mortgage company in the United States. Its rates are competitive, and it offers a variety of services for homebuyers. Customers give mixed feedback on customer service, but many report being satisfied with its flexible payment plans. We recommend PHH as an educational resource for those buying homes for the first time or those looking to switch up their real estate financing options.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

My monthly mortgage payment was made by the due date but after hours. My husband has been in the hospital for some time after suffering a stroke and I just honestly forgot my payment with so many other things going on this month. I made the payment after hours; but the next morning I received an email advising my payment was late. I called PHH, explained the timing of my payment and my personal issues with my husband and the agent could not have been more pleasant. She first gave her good wishes for a speedy recovery and then looked at my payment. It turns out the payment was processing, not yet processed.

I asked about late fees as I have never in my life paid my mortgage payment late nor any other payment for that matter. The agent stated she would monitor my account and if she saw a late payment applied she would do her best to have it removed. My call was over in less than 5 minutes. She confirmed my payment, advised she would try to have the late charge removed (if applied), AND offered her good wishes to my husband. A very pleasant customer experience.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Debra. We wish a speedy recovery for your husband and hope that things get better for you in the coming future. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

2020 was a tough year but thankfully PHH is my mortgage company who went above and beyond to show me they care. Empathy is not the same as sympathy... PHH has agents who put themselves in my shoes (and many others) to figure out a plan (or option) that would help get us through these uncertain times vs saying “I’m sorry, when can you pay?”. Every time I called customer service with questions, I was treated with respect and felt I had a ‘partner’ who wanted to help me succeed during the pandemic versus saying tough luck! Because of them and their resources, I’m finally able to get back on my feet and continue living in my dream home I worked so hard for. This company listens. They care. They want families to have a roof over their head and go above and beyond to help them out. Thank you, I appreciate your support!

PHH Mortgage response

Shalee, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with PHH. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Just a few words to let you know that I was extremely satisfied with my relationship manager who represents PHH Mortgage. She was very cordial and professional the entire time I was with her on the phone. A special moment that I recall during our last conversation was when I was explaining the reason for my request asking for a deferment on my house payments. I was explaining how Covid affected me financially. I went on disability from work due to a knee injury which occurred on January 3, 2020. This caused my financial income to drop dramatically. My surgery was delayed for the longest time.

Just recently, I was able to return to work on September 15, 2020. I was getting emotional when I told her I did not want to lose my home. The way she responded to me is what caught me off guard. She told me, "You're not going to lose your home Mr. **". Her voice was so reassuring to me, sort of in a way of how a parent would talk to their child. After our conversation, my stress went away and I felt so relieved. It's nice to know that there are special employees who truly care for their customers. Thank you so much for everything you do.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Rene. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I can’t thank the wonderful people at PHH Mortgage enough. They literally saved my life! As a single mom it’s hard enough with one income but I am also helping my 87 yr old mom with her mortgage and bills. I really had no idea how I was going to pay everything during Covid since my income was practically nothing as I own my own business and everything was shut down for months. Even now I am not making anywhere near the money I was making before Covid. I was getting nasty phone calls from my car loan company, electric and cable company with no care for what was going on in the world. It was heartbreaking I had one company tell me I should borrow money or take out a loan because they wanted their money.

PHH was the ONLY Company that was caring and extremely compassionate and it wasn’t just one nice rep it has been Every single one that has done so much to help and reassured me that they will continue to help as long as Covid continues. I cried the last time I spoke to someone because I was so overwhelmed by their compassion. Because of PHH and all their help I WILL be able to get back on track and get through this difficult time. I can’t thank them enough!! Sharon

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Sharon. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

The representative that handled my request was very respectful, courteous, expeditious, and knowledgeable when I was in dire need of assistance. I had a horrible experience trying to make my mortgage payment using PHH's self-service technology. After numerous attempts to make my payment, I am informed that the computer was down for updating and would not be available until 6:00 PM the following day (Sunday, 8/16/20). At that time I went to PHH's website to try and make the payment online, to find that the charge to make a payment through a company that I can only think is authorized by PHH (Doxo) to take payments would charge me $171.00 and some change to process my mortgage payment. In my opinion, it is very discouraging to know that PHH would subject their customers to such outrageous fees for processing payments for one of their products.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, James, for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. If you need additional assistance or your query is not resolved, request you to send us a private message.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I have asked many times for statements. They keep pushing me to the website. I don't own a computer or printer. If I can't get my statement I can't pay. Seems like they want to foreclose on me. The customer service is really bad, as well.

PHH Mortgage response

Jesse, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding monthly statement and customer service. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Every phone number I can find for PHH Mortgage except the number to apply for a new loan, gives the message "we are unable to connect you due to unforeseen technical issues" followed by the message "our offices are closed, please call back during our regular hours". This happens mid day on a Monday (non holiday). This is ridiculous for a mortgage servicing company.

PHH Mortgage response

Gary, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Great customer service, the representatives made me feel that they were listening to me and not just trying to get me off the phone to go to the next call. After she answered my question open the other suggestions that were very helpful and we did make the appropriate changes.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Donald. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: June 30, 2021

My husband join the Army in 2007 and we just got the house 2006 and I tried to rent to three people. They never pay us because my husband deployed 4 times, I want to give up that house but you guys didn't let me instead help me keep the house, thank you so much. Plus you guys dropped to 3% for me and my family to be able to afford it, God bless your company, God bless you guys.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Ednete. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: June 30, 2021

From the time the pandemic began I was knocked down and so many things going on but when I reached out to you guys, with kindness and with love, I was assisted with such a great customer service. Everyone I have ever spoken to in this company is humble and addresses you carefully to make sure you go off the line satisfied. I love the customer service, well trained people. God bless you all, surely I will recommend this company to anyone at anytime. Have a bless day.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Kwame. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

PHH Mortgage Company Information