2. Mortgages

4.0/5 (171 ratings)

About PHH Mortgage

PHH Mortgage has provided mortgage services and financing solutions for more than 30 years. PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options, including options for those purchasing a new home or refinancing.

Pros

• Offers home loans and refinancing
  • 24/7 online account access
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Does not offer HELOC programs
  • Mixed reviews for customer service

Bottom Line

PHH helps home buyers navigate the homebuying process and offers a variety of loan options for first-time homebuyers, seasoned homebuyers and investors

PHH Mortgage Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

What a terrible company. Have money sitting in escrow for my property taxes and they still have not paid them even though I have been asking for months and have confirmation that they will. Now there will be a 10% penalty because they are late. I can’t even imagine the fight I am going to have in order to get that money back to me. STAY AWAY!!!!

PHH Mortgage response

Trevor, we do take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving your concerns regarding property tax payment. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Updated on 10/22/2021: Have been working with the Escalation Managers since Oct 15th, when I was told over and over they would fix the issue. Yesterday, spoke with my escalation manager and told me the wire transfer, sent on Oct 8th had been found and my account payoff would be credited immediately. Today, I get a call from the manager and was told the wire was sent back on the 18th, the day me and the accountant from the title company spoke with escalations and gave them all the information to locate the wire transfer, when this issue should have been corrected to begin with. So today, had to wait on the phone for 49 minutes to get a new payoff quote so the title company could resend the wire transfer.

Now I am going to be held responsible for 13 additional days of interest and had to make another loan payment on the 14th in order to avoid late fees. Even though the title company made the initial error, if someone had transferred me to the escalation department two business days after the wire was send but not posted, this would have save all of us a lot of issues and additional interest owed.

Original Review: I sold my home and on 10/8 a wire was sent to PHH Mortgage to pay off my mortgage. I have called almost every day this week and keep getting different answers, such as Holiday, sent to our bank and we haven’t been notified that it was received, or it takes 2 business days to post. I’m trying to purchase a new home and need to show this mortgage is paid so I can send a system to my new mortgage company.

PHH Mortgage response

James, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

PHH took over my mortgage from Amerihome and unexpectedly and without explanation, my escrow jumped up $1100. PHH not only had no explanation, but no interest in helping me figure out the problem. They kept putting me on hold and delaying any action and telling me to wait, that they were going to help, that they would get to the bottom of this, but I had to do all the work and furnish them with the information, and even still they wanted more and more time to ascertain what I was giving them directly from the City Tax and Assessors Offices.

They will tell you what you want to hear, but they will always request more and more time (in my case, now over three weeks) to do this and that and then the other thing, but in reality, they are not doing anything except waiting for you to give them information because they haven't a clue how to run a Mortgage Co. They are all misfits from somewhere else, (India) and they simply feed you the Company line about how they are going to help and how they want to verify and how they need more time because they are operating in the Stone Age with Fred Flintstone computers. Don't believe it! They are lazy liars with no interest in you or your problem. They will only protect the Company despite the truth and what you and the City tax assessor and finance dept. know to be correct. FIND ANOTHER MORTGAGE CO. FAST!!!!

PHH Mortgage response

Christian, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

My home mortgage was purchased by PHH Mortgage. My previous mortgage company let me pay bi-weekly for free and I could set it up online. PHH Mortgage? Not them. They have to physically MAIL you a form to set up bi-weekly payments (what year is it?) and on top of that, they charge you a $3 fee EVERY TIME you make a bi-weekly payment! That's $72 a year I would waste on a service that actually costs a fraction of a penny to send. AVOID this company. They are out of date, and love to nickel-and-dime their customers for "convenience."

PHH Mortgage response

Steven, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Resolution response: Dec. 2, 2021

PHH was finally able to set up my bi weekly payment. It was a painful process with little to no response until I published this review.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

One word, incompetent. The words of the agents sound friendly and they apologize often, but this is due to severe incompetence of PHH. From day one of my mortgage I requested a bi weekly payment set up to match my pay schedule. I was forced to submit application twice and asked a THIRD time because they have no record. They still use FAX MACHINE. I was promised multiple times the bi weekly would start, but when I called to confirm (they never return calls) I was repeated told that it was not set up and they have no notes in the system to verify activity. DO NOT USE THIS MORTGAGE COMPANY.

PHH Mortgage response

Giovanni, we do take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving your concerns regarding biweekly payment setup. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

My PHH refinance was quick, no hassle, no pressure. The staff are knowledgeable and courteous. They took care of all the little things, and the big things with no fussing. I’ll use them again in the future, for all my mortgage and financing needs. Thanks PHH!

PHH Mortgage response

Hugh, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with PHH. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we look forward to working with you.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Whatever problems I’ve had they are right on it, getting the problem solved for me, never have had a hassle. On my refinance, they were very easy to deal with and played no games with me. Everything was on the up and up. A good company to deal with.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, George. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I am happy to state that PHH initially approved my mortgage/loan for Modification due to financial hardships. PHH later approved Forbearance due to additional hardships as a result of COVID-19. I do not know what would have happened if such help were not provided….I’m sure I would’ve lost my home. I cannot measure how helpful this is for me.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Ernesto. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

My first experience with PHH was with the website and MortgageQuestions app. The app was especially difficult to navigate and required three separate calls to customer service for assistance with overcoming barriers. Not user friendly at all! The customer service associates were awesome-extremely helpful - and deserve 10s across the board.

PHH Mortgage response

James, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding our website and mobile app. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

It is difficult to get to the right website because the title is different but the info is the same. I set up a web account but now I can't find the web address to log in. To date I have not received an August statement which I want to attach to my extra principal payment. I don't know if I have not received the statement because my regular account is auto pay or there is something additional I need to do. Trying to reach some on the phone is also a very timely procedure.

PHH Mortgage response

Shirley, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding website and monthly mortgage statement. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

First the automated system is easy to navigate, no long wait time for a customer relations. Also the gentleman I spoke with was very courteous, kind and understanding. He took time to explain what I was calling about. Thank you.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Donna. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

It took a long time to get connected to right person but he tried to solve my problem by putting me on hold several times. Problem was still not resolved. Hopefully in future you will not put customers on such a long hold.

PHH Mortgage response

Isabel, we value your feedback and sincerely apologize for your experience. We appreciate the chance to improve our service and resolve any issues that our customers may have. Your account information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for a review and they will be contacting you regarding this.

Original review: July 28, 2021

Bought my 2nd house with PHH and they were awesome in the beginning signing me and my partner up for a loan to our first home together. When we had questions about the mortgage, they were semi-helpful, providing vague answers and not consistent with the details of any aspect of the loan. When we started talking about selling our home to upgrade, they were very rude and disrespectful to my partner as he was new to home-buying and had a lot of questions. I will never use PHH Mortgage again.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Very kind very professional and answered all my questions. Told me all the options that I had and ask if they can do anything more if I if I had any questions don’t hesitate to call. Also found a very kind.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Peter. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I have been attempting to get them to modify a mortgage with a balloon for month. They kept saying missing this. Missing that. They set appointments for calls months out and in the meantime the mortgage balloon came due so they want payment in full or they won’t accept any payment from us. We get to the phone call date and surprise they are missing one more piece of paper. Reschedule for another month out. Get to that phone call and the dates on our paperwork we originally submitted are too old. Need to redo all paperwork. Redo all paperwork. Set another call. Again we’re missing something. Page 3 didn’t make it.

Reschedule the call. Can you email the paperwork to us. It’s the fastest way. Today we canceled you paperwork because we never got your email on June 1st. We will schedule ANOTHER call for August 3rd. My guess is they just want to foreclose on us and because of covid they can’t so they’re delaying until they can legally make us homeless. Worthless company.

PHH Mortgage response

Stacy, we do take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving your concerns regarding loan modification. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I have asked many times for statements. They keep pushing me to the website. I don't own a computer or printer. If I can't get my statement I can't pay. Seems like they want to foreclose on me. The customer service is really bad, as well.

PHH Mortgage response

Jesse, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding monthly statement and customer service. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Working with the lender that sold the loans to PHH Mortgage was a nightmare, so it was a pleasant surprise to see that PHH Mortgage was exceptional easy to work with for the servicing of the loans. They have a user friendly website that is easy to navigate.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Peter. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Every phone number I can find for PHH Mortgage except the number to apply for a new loan, gives the message "we are unable to connect you due to unforeseen technical issues" followed by the message "our offices are closed, please call back during our regular hours". This happens mid day on a Monday (non holiday). This is ridiculous for a mortgage servicing company.

PHH Mortgage response

Gary, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Great customer service, the representatives made me feel that they were listening to me and not just trying to get me off the phone to go to the next call. After she answered my question open the other suggestions that were very helpful and we did make the appropriate changes.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Donald. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: June 30, 2021

My husband join the Army in 2007 and we just got the house 2006 and I tried to rent to three people. They never pay us because my husband deployed 4 times, I want to give up that house but you guys didn't let me instead help me keep the house, thank you so much. Plus you guys dropped to 3% for me and my family to be able to afford it, God bless your company, God bless you guys.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Ednete. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: June 30, 2021

From the time the pandemic began I was knocked down and so many things going on but when I reached out to you guys, with kindness and with love, I was assisted with such a great customer service. Everyone I have ever spoken to in this company is humble and addresses you carefully to make sure you go off the line satisfied. I love the customer service, well trained people. God bless you all, surely I will recommend this company to anyone at anytime. Have a bless day.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Kwame. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: June 15, 2021

Where do I start? Two years ago I had a claim filed in my house for water damage. My insurance finally issued the check and unfortunately my loan got transferred to PHH 7 days after the check got issued and it’s been an absolute nightmare to get my check endorsed and sent back to me. I have talked to 7 representatives Francis, Ana, Sabin, Marco, Ruth, May and Bridgette and I have all their employee ID numbers. Not one person has said what the process is to have a check an endorsed. Every single person says something different (it’s disturbing). To top it off everyone is offshore so I get people from India and Philippines that don’t know what they are doing.

I’m 7 month’s pregnant and this has affected me mentally and emotionally. I have cried and cried dealing with this people but I refuse to send my check to a company that’s going to keep it and not send my money back to me. The fact that we went from a 5 star rating mortgage to a 1 star is disappointing. I also call to get a mortgage agreement and they all they the same thing “what is that?” It’s an absolute joke. How people even consider working with this company baffles me. Word of advice to anyone considering this company don’t do it. They will keep your insurance check and you won’t see a dime of it.

PHH Mortgage response

Jessica, we do take all feedback seriously and apologize for your experience with PHH. Your information and details regarding the insurance claim has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I submitted a loan modification package and made sure that everything that I received, was signed and returned completely. My modification had gone through the final steps and I had to make 3 on-time payments. I made all 3 payments on-time as required, but on the 3rd month after I made a payment, I received a letter saying my loan modification was denied due to an issue with my mortgage title. I tried to call my relationship manager, as the letter stated, but they can't transfer you, but only make an appointment with your relationship manager. So I asked the rep about the letter and they didn't know anything, so I asked to go to escalation. I was told there was one paper that I needed to sign, I explained to him, that these past few months of talking to someone each month when I had to make 3 payments, no one said anything about missing paperwork.

So he sent to me and I signed it, but because it was after the fact, I was told I had to resubmit my request for modification and start the process over. I had done everything I was supposed to and made my payments, but because of failure on the relationship manager's end or whoever was calling me each month, didn't verify that everything was complete. I can't sign a paper that I do not have. I resubmitted the paperwork, and I kept getting letters saying I'm missing paperwork and I would fill out everything they send, but I would get something else, saying I'm missing paperwork, but it would be what I've already signed and submitted.

The second package was finally complete, but now it has been denied, which doesn't make sense, since it was basically approved the first time, just missing one form that they failed to give me. I never speak to the same person when I have scheduled calls and they all say different information. No one seems to be on the same page. Because someone at PHH failed to verify all documents were received when I initially submitted my package, now I have to put in an appeal to keep my home from foreclosure. I'm using my VA home loan, and my VA advisor is aware as well because he's had a hard time getting in contact with PHH as well about this issue. It's not right that I did everything on my end and I'm the one that this affects.

PHH Mortgage response

Shantay, we do take all feedback seriously and apologize for your experience. Your information and details regarding the loan modification has been forwarded to to one of our escalation management team members for review. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: April 21, 2021

This "company," (really a debt collector) after purchasing my mortgage servicing from another company – something I cannot do anything about – then turns around to tell me that in order to make payments on my loan, I either: 1) have to send a check in by mail, or 2) I have to pay them the exorbitant sum of $19.50 every month to pay my mortgage online. I also have to sign a document which is like an amendment on my mortgage to this end. This on top of whatever fees they are charging the holders of my mortgage.

This is scandalous, and for a website that looks like it was made on a 1990s and for the internet security that I'm sure this unscrupulous band of bandits, wherever they are located (since they have several addresses even in the official documents they mail me), have not paid for. Welcome to America! This is what happens when we let robber-baron corporations get away with crimes and unethical actions and we don't hold them accountable!

PHH Mortgage response

Scott, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and follow up with you.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Trying to get into my account. Wouldn’t let me so I call. I don’t think she knew what she was doing. She keep want me to download app. I did not want app. Just want her to help me verify my account. She keep trying to get me to download a App. Told me my account may got lost. She was no help to me at all so I hung up.

PHH Mortgage response

Norman, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding our website and customer service. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I have a good experience every time I had a concern, they had answered me, I being happy, I hope to still have the same response in the future. Thank you for being respectful and caring for my concerns.

PHH Mortgage response

Gloria, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided.

Resolution response: May 11, 2021

Problem has been resolved.

Original review: March 24, 2021

UPDATED 5/11/2021: I made a complaint a few months ago regarding PHH mortgage sending a homeowner's insurance payment twice that resulted in overdrawing my escrow account. I made several attempts to PHH before this payment was sent to make sure this did not happen. After my first complaint I had a supervisor call me who said he would fix the issue. He took my payment over the phone of my refund of my homeowner's insurance. He said he would make sure it got posted back to my escrow it assured me it was taken care of. I just checked online and it was posted as a payment so my escrow is still short. This is an absolute horrible company please stay away from it. My original mortgage was with quicken loans and they sold to this company. I would do anything possible to try to get away from PHH mortgage. They really need to be investigated on their practices

ORIGINAL REVIEW: My mortgage was transferred from Quicken loans to PHH mortgage servicing the beginning of February 2021. Quicken loans paid my homeowners insurance on January 25th 2021 before the transfer. I noticed on PHH mortgage site that they were getting ready to pay my homeowners insurance again in March 2021. I called and spent over an hour on the phone speaking to two different representatives to make sure they get the updated information from my homeowners insurance or quicken loans that it was already paid. I was advised they would take care of it. I now received a notice that my escrow account is short $2,500 and that they are going to raise my mortgage payment.

I called and spoke to two people today at PHH mortgage. The second one told me that they just paid my homeowners insurance in March after I ask them not to. I spent an hour on the phone a few weeks ago to get nothing taken care of. I asked for it not to be sent. I was told they would not and now they did. Now my homeowners insurance is double paid and I got to spend more time on the phone to get it sent back before my mortgage payment goes up.

I read the reviews on PHH mortgage when I got the notice it was being transferred to them from quicken loans and was very worried that I was going to get poor customer service and in fact the first month that my mortgage is service with them my mortgage is now all screwed up. I really wish when you get a mortgage that you had the right to say who your mortgage can be transferred to for servicing. I've had mortgages for over 23 years with many different companies and I've never had issues like I've had this past month with PHH mortgage. If you're trying to finance or refinance do not use this company. It's just going to be a nightmare.

PHH Mortgage response

Linda, we do take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving your concerns regarding your escrow account. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I called customer service to get help with setting up an appointment with my account manager. I had many questions. The customer service representative answered the questions in a timely and compassionate manner, making certain that I was satisfied before ending the call.

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, James. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service provided. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I had called the mortgage company helpline to find out some information about real estate and escrow payments that were made. When I spoke to the agent, Ms. **, she was very friendly and fully assisted me with my questions and I was able to proceed without delay. Thanks!

PHH Mortgage response

Robert, thank you taking the time to share your positive feedback with PHH. We are here to help our customers, and we're happy to hear of the excellent customer service provided by our agent. We will be sure to share this feedback with Jean and her manager.

Original review: March 23, 2021

My experiences were of the upmost friendly and with kindness and the business information was solved and taken cared of, the service is very nice!!! I could not have had a greater experience with any other company/ business! I look forward to doing business with this mortgage company again!

PHH Mortgage response

Lori, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with PHH. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we look forward to working with you.

PHH Mortgage Company Information