2. Mortgages
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.67/5

For over 30 years, PHH Mortgage has provided industry-leading mortgage services and helped countless homebuyers and homeowners find financing solutions to meet their needs. We are committed to providing personalized care and solutions to help our customers save money, build equity and most importantly, stay in their homes. Whether you need assistance with your current loan or are looking to purchase a new home or refinance, PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options.

PHH Mortgage Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

PHH Mortgage online payment system does not work, I have placed a ticket with the company and still nothing. There are several customers experiencing the same issue trying to pay online. FIX PLEASE!!

PHH Mortgage response

Lourdes, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding our website. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

PHH is the worst company to deal with have had nothing but problems with them. Can never get in touch with your case worker and no one there speaks English. Would not recommend anyone get a loan or mortgage with this company.

PHH Mortgage response

Travis, we value your feedback and sincerely apologize for your experience. We appreciate the chance to improve our service and resolve any issues that our customers may have. Your account information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for a review and they will be contacting you regarding this.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Dealing with this company has been a very trying experience. Can rarely get them on the phone (high volume of calls). When you finally get them on the phone they cannot solve the problem. Very poor customer service. If you can get your mortgage anywhere else do it!

PHH Mortgage response

Theodore, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I am so upset. Our mortgage was sold to PHH, not by our choice. With our old mortgage provider, we used to be able to pay our mortgage early throughout the previous month and even once in a while pay a little extra towards principal, and now with PHH we are charged a fee to do that. RIDICULOUS!! In order to not be charged a fee, we have to be enrolled in auto-pay. I am trying to be a good customer, even making extra payments and I feel like we are being punished for being "early payers." I wish there was a way to make sure our mortgage is sold to another company that doesn't punish their customers with outrageous fees.

PHH Mortgage response

Amberdaun, we do take all feedback seriously and apologize for your experience. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members for review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

My trial loan modification was approved by my PHH mortgage company and then they sent the loan paperwork to my bankruptcy attorney which was who was no longer my bankruptcy attorney and my loan mod was declined; now over 7 months later I am now facing foreclosure after trying to work this mess out with my mortgage company... PHH trial modification application denial information is being looked into by the Missouri State Attorney General for a federal lawsuit.

PHH Mortgage response

Ami, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Updated on 11/17/2020: I have already shared my review and still so upset. I was contacted by a representative that left his phone number and extension. I have been trying to return his call and keep hearing that he is not available. I choose to leave a voicemail and then told his mailbox is full and to try again later.. This is ongoing frustration which I really do not appreciate. I was lead to believe my situation might be resolved but once again, does not seem to be the case. I have no way of contacting this person now.

Original: I have had a mortgage on my home for over 35 years and was never late until this past September, 2019. I paid my mortgage through my bank's bill pay online and somehow underpaid the payment by $293.67. I had lost my mom during this time and apparently the stress was too much and I did not notice what I had done. I did get a phone call and a letter for PHH letting me know but that was early October. I right away paid the difference with them over the phone and was hoping to avoid a late payment being placed on my credit file. Of course they told me they would not but did ding my credit.

I am devastated first of all, that I made such an error and secondly I have damaged my credit and my husband's as well. I called their customer service and pleaded my case hoping they could forgive the late and remove it from my file. I have just received a letter informing my they will not. I pay on time for all these years, paying more than our payment amount and yet they will not show any compassion. I truly believe other lenders would have overturned this for their customers who have always paid on time over all these years.

PHH Mortgage response

Mrs. D, we'd like to extend our condolences to you on the loss of your mother. We do take all feedback seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further. One of our escalation management team members has been engaged to review your account and will reach out to you. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We have had numerous mortgage companies that we have had in the past. This one, PHH Mortgage has been the worst ever. Never had a problem making payments, until with this company. They put a hold on it, and will harass you with emails, phone calls. And, when one speaks to a rep, you literally have to cut them off to let them know your payment has been cleared by their establishment.

PHH Mortgage response

Dale, we appreciate you informing us of the issues you encountered with PHH . We'd like to apologize for any frustration these issues have caused. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I am obliged to give this company one star in order to post a review. PHH mortgage is the most unprofessional mortgage company that I have ever dealt with. My loan was sold to them; it was not my choice. It takes days if not weeks to get in touch with them. They assign you a "mortgage advisor" which you can never get in touch with. When you finally get someone else, you have to start your story over and over again. I was suddenly laid off. As a good consumer, I contacted PHH to let them know and to see if they could offer any temporary assistance. I got laid off on May 31, 2019. They finally sent me a Forbearance Package that I filled out and sent right away. There was one box that was hard to see to check off (they agreed it was hard to find). They never got back to me to tell me that they could not complete the application due to that missed check off. I submitted again and it took them nearly 4 months to send me a reply (November 2019).

Of course, I read the package carefully. It stated that they approved a 6 month forbearance where I paid 1/2 my mortgage to help my financial burden. I called them and found out through the phone call, that at the end of the 6 months, I was required to pay all the rest (1/2) of my mortgage immediately! I was confused since they had not stated this in the huge paperwork they had not sent me. The person on the phone was quite rude and I had to ask for a manager. If I had the money, I would pay and not go on forbearance!

Of course upon hearing this new information, I rejected the offer. I told them that my problem was for one month payment and that by the time they notified me, I had gotten another job. They failed to record my rejection of this forbearance and subsequently reported me to all of the Credit Bureaus which automatically proceed to report you as delinquent for every month!!!! How I found this out was by applying to another mortgage company and got rejected based on my now dismal credit score. After 3 days of unsuccessfully trying to contact them, I finally got a hold of yet another person who informed me that once a person goes on forbearance, they are automatically reported to the credit bureau as delinquent for the duration of the forbearance period.

I informed them that I had declined the forbearance option and had continued to pay my mortgage every month so that I should not have been reported as being on the forbearance. The package that they sent informing me that they approved a 6 month forbearance by paying 1/2 the mortgage for six months did NOT have this information. I did not have all of the information to make an informed decision. I told them this but they refused to budge. They refused to expunge the credit bureau information that was their error. Now I am stuck with this mortgage company, my credit has suffered significantly to the point where no other reputable bank or mortgage company will help me and I feel trapped and unfairly treated by this company. DO NOT do business with this company!!!! If anyone reading this can help me out, I appreciate it. I want to make a formal complaint to the AG's office and to the Better Business Bureau.

PHH Mortgage response

Rosie, we appreciate you informing us of the issues you encountered with PHH . We'd like to apologize for any frustration these issues have caused. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss your concerns regarding forbearance plan and credit reporting. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I filed for a loan modification. They lost my paperwork. I've tried several times to discuss the matter with my relationship manager Mark **. That person never returns my calls. This is very important to me. It's my home on the line. I've asked customer service for a different relationship manager and they say they will have someone call me back. Well that return call never comes.

PHH Mortgage response

Sharon, we're sorry to hear about your experience with PHH. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving these issues. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

This company is a nightmare. My husband was diagnosed with stage four cancer. We fell on hard times. When his disability was approved we put in for a loan modification or report. They repeatedly told us that they would look at all options. They then sent us paperwork saying that our packet was incomplete when the whole time it was everything was said and the only thing was because of my electronic tax filing my 1040 form need to be signed. When all was said and done they came back and told us they would not look at the modification because the foreclosure sale date is so close although in the past 90 days with a completed packet just needing the tax form to be five so I am currently fighting with five days until my home is supposed to be sold and I am going to fight.

PHH Mortgage response

Tara, we do take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can review your account and assist in resolving your concerns regarding loan modification and foreclosure. Following their review, they will be in contact with you.

PHH Mortgage Company Information