2.05/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years, PHH Mortgage has provided industry-leading mortgage services and helped countless homebuyers and homeowners find financing solutions to meet their needs. We are committed to providing personalized care and solutions to help our customers save money, build equity and most importantly, stay in their homes. Whether you need assistance with your current loan or are looking to purchase a new home or refinance, PHH offers a wide variety of homeowner assistance and loan options.

3767 PHH Mortgage Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I have been trying to get a modification for years from Ocwen since the death of my husband in 2010. Now they've transferred my mortgage to PHH and still to no avail won't help me to save my home with a modification. My income fluctuates and now my daughter has taken on 2 jobs so we can get caught up on my mortgage. She's assisting me because now I have carpal tunnel syndrome on both my hands which has caused me to work part time but with her income and mine we can pay the mortgage. I've been asking for a modification to assist me in doing so...They say helping homeowners is what they do but I'm not so sure. All I ask for is a more affordable mortgage through a modification and they have not helped me at all with trying to do that. I want to keep my home and I was hoping they could really assist me with doing that. I'm very disappointed.

PHH Mortgage response

Taisha, we appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members for review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My mortgage got moved over from Ocwen and it has been the worst experience. I never knew that it would be so difficult to actually force a company to take my money. My ex-husband and co-signer claimed bankruptcy which I understand they have rules to live by for accounts in bankruptcy but I have been current on this loan since the beginning. Every time I call, I get disconnected and usually have to call at least 5 times before they quit putting me on hold or transferring me. I just want to make a payment and move on. I can’t sign up for auto-debit because they won’t allow it, I can’t make online payments and I can’t make automated phone payments according to them.

They want me to mail it in (last time I mailed it they lost the checks for 2 months and it took 4 phone calls for them to do something about it) or they want to use customer service and charge 17 dollars for it. I have tried to get a payoff statement twice now so I can close out a loan but still waiting.. They say 10 days, but they send a letter and then say 10 more days. This company cares nothing about homeowners and I feel like all they want you to do is default on your loan so they can foreclose. Shadiest Company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

PHH Mortgage response

Tara, we're sorry to hear about your experience with PHH. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My mortgage company sent me to PHH after Ocwen acquired them this last year. I was in a repayment plan with Ocwen trying to catch up. When the loan transferred I was unable to make payments online, and impossible to reach anyone by phone. I mailed a check for the plan, it was never cashed. I then mailed another check, and cashed 2 1/2 weeks later, but then got (my own daily since I moved money out of that account thinking they did not deposit it). I tried in vain to reach my case manager over and over. They had phone queues 30-45 minutes long, which was done during my lunch break during PHH business hours. I sent messages through the site for my case manager to contact me. I still have never heard her voice. I then sent an application for mortgage assistance, since I know they would demand full amount. I was assured I had a case manager to contact with any questions. I still have been unable to speak with her.

I received a notification today via email, that said there’s new activity on my request. It said it was closed. I never expected anything on the mail, nobody ever called me, and I am beginning to see that PHH is just the clean up crew for Ocwen. They sent my loan there to eventually foreclose, but would not blemish Ocwen, since they have been in a lot trouble for foreclosure and modification. I called today, and spoke with an alternative representative. She informed me the request was denied, and there are no repayment plans with PHH. They only allow repayment plans of 1 month behind. I am 9 months (actually, 7 1/2 since they never applied my last payment, it is sitting in unapplied funds).

So now here I am. Sick to death that my only option to avoid foreclosure is to come up with 8 monthly payments. They do not offer an extended repayment plan. Even if I can afford 1 1/2 monthly payment amount now. PHH does not have any care manager that EVER tried to contact me. I fully intend to keep my home. I just cannot believe how maniacal this company is. I have never in my life experienced less customer care than I have with PHH. I will be reaching out to my state department and ensure I am not falling prey to unscrupulous business practice.

PHH Mortgage response

Melissa, we apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to resolve any issues that you have. Your account has been assigned to one of our escalation management team members to review and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

They were very prompt and was able to answer my question. They are great and have awesome customer service while talking to them. They had every detail on everything I asked about. Keep up the great work guys!

PHH Mortgage response

Thank you, Angel. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we are delighted to read your feedback about PHH. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Please remember to seek a local company for mortgage lending. PHH/OCWEN. My closing has been an absolute nightmare. I've been dealing with my closing for 1 month while they continue to add fees. I'm emotionally drained from this situation. And not even my closing attorney is able to help. I do plan to dig deeper into this company and will be sure to continue to warn others.

PHH Mortgage response

Amy, we take all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PHH Mortgage?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We had a mortgage through Ocwen for many years without issue. In November 2018, we lost our home in the Camp Fire of California, a disaster that destroyed 90% of our town. Our mortgage was promptly transferred to PHH, who lost our deferment and proceeded to send us foreclosure pamphlets monthly for six months, despite us being current with our mortgage. We have a check from our insurance and they have refused to accept it for almost eight months now. We have filled out REAMS of paperwork, requests for exceptions, affidavits on the loss of our home, to no avail. They still won't take the check. We have explained that we are now homeless with our two children until they take this check, because we can't qualify for another home loan to buy or rebuild while we still have a full mortgage with PHH.

Doesn't matter, they still won't take the check. We are now to the point where every time I call, I am placed on a 20-35 minute hold, then told my "account specialist" is unavailable and no one else can speak with me. At that point my call is either disconnected or I leave a message, which has to date never been returned, weeks later. I am so absolutely disgusted with this company. How is it even legal to refuse to accept an insurance check, especially on a current, up to date mortgage? Our family has struggled to pay our monthly mortgage, hoping to keep our credit intact and to be able to get another loan. We have done everything PHH has asked of us, and each time they deny our insurance check or any sort of loan modification. I would not recommend PHH to ANYONE. Rotten to the core.

PHH Mortgage response

Amy, we apologize for the issues you've experienced during this transition and the frustration this has caused. Please send a private message with your contact number and the property address, so that we can review your account and follow up with you. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

7 weeks after being asked for a Stock and Lease needed for the sale of a coop unit in NYC, PHH Mortgage hasn't been able to provide it. It is simply UNACCEPTABLE! As everybody is ready to close on this sale, this delay forces the seller to keep paying mortgage and maintenance and is also extremely annoying for the buyer.

PHH Mortgage response

Laurence, we take customer feedback very seriously, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Your information has been forwarded to one of our team members for review, and they will contact you to discuss this further.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I have not been satisfied with this company since loans have been switched over. OCWEN switched accounts over to PHH Mortgages. Every month log-ins have not worked, or my information has no longer been linked to the account, or this last time, I logged in and it appeared to be someone else's account. Each time this has happened, I have to call during their business hours to reset the log-in information. If this had happened once, okay. But this is the third or even fourth time I have run into this problem within the past year.

PHH Mortgage response

Erin, we take customer feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members so they can assist you with resolving any issues you may be having with our online portal.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Our mortgage was with Ocwen then taken over by PHH which apparently is owned by Ocwen. As many others our loan was taken over in June however our account could not be found multiple calls were made to them to determine how we need to remit payment but they couldn’t find my account and was told because of the amount of accounts they took over to bear with them and continue to follow up continued to call in July and still told the same thing. Finally on July 31st 2019 We spoke with someone who advised our account had been forwarded to an attorney and would need to speak with them to move forward.

After speaking with them We were then told to bring the account current. Our only recourse would be to pay the payments they hadn’t Rex’d plus attorney fees which we only had the payments with our mortgage. We called Phh again and was told we could do a 25 minute interview to qualify for a modification. We did that and was told paperwork would be sent to us to complete. We didn't get this package until after the attorney set a sale date on our home. We weren’t even made aware of the sale date from the attorney until 12 days later. We have had people call message and even come to my door and ask if they could buy our home. We have been totally humiliated and victimized by this.

We have been forced to file ch 13 to stop the foreclosure. We have reached out to Fannie Mae and have been instructed to contact the attorney general FTC and CFPB... which we are in the process of doing so. We also have contacted a real estate attorney as well and are working hard to put an end to this madness. We encourage all that have been impacted by this to reach out to the attorney general in your state and file complaints with FTC and CFPB ASAP.

PHH Mortgage response

Toni, we apologize for the issues you've experienced during this transition, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Your account information has been forwarded to one of our escalation management team members for a review of your account and they will be contacting you regarding this.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I contacted PHH Mortgage Company concerning my mortgage account. Erica was very helpful, professional, answered all my questions, put me on hold, did not keep me waiting and sent me in the right direction.

PHH Mortgage response

Kevin, thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with PHH. We are here to help our customers, and we're happy to hear of the excellent customer service provided by our agent. We will be sure to share this feedback with Erica and her manager.

PHH Mortgage Company Information