The credit repair industry exists to help consumers and businesses improve their credit scores so they can qualify for affordable financial services such as loans and credit cards. Since credit histories often contain inaccurate information, clients may also use credit repair services to remove erroneous items that lower their credit scores.
Top 10 Most Reviewed Credit Repair Companies
Lexington Law Firm has more than 24 years of experience helping consumers repair bad credit. Their credit repair services are available in all states, and they also provide of-counsel attorneys for clients in certain states.
|Read 337 Reviews|
Ovation Credit has helped thousands of consumers repair their credit reports! Credit scores affect every aspect of your financial life, and Ovation makes credit repair fast and effective. They stand up for the CREDIT YOU DESERVE!
|Read 158 Reviews|
The Credit Pros began in 2009 when an attorney and a business man banded together to fight the Big 3 credit bureaus to help change consumer lives. Clients can enjoy better lifestyles as a result of the accurate credit reports.
|Read 8 Reviews|
Sky Blue Credit Repair professionals do not work on commission and focus only on helping clients reach goals. Since 1989, the company has helped millions of consumers erase erroneous credit report items and raise credit scores.
|Read 7 Reviews|
Credit Repair services are unique because they go beyond one-time credit repair by helping clients develop a long-term healthy relationship with credit. Certified FICO professionals empower people for long-term financial success.
|Read Expert Review|
Trinity Credit Services has helped over 20,000 clients restore and improve credit. The company tries to set the industry standard for integrity, character and commitment to delivering quality services.
|Read Expert Review|
In 2000, My Credit Group assembled a team of credit experts, loan officers, debt negotiators and collections agents to deliver credit repair services. Over 10,000 consumer and commercial clients have been serviced.
|Read Expert Review|
Clients can enjoy guaranteed credit repair services offered by certified credit analysts at Park View Credit. A full menu of competitive services include unlimited disputes, live chat support, credit review and more.
|Read Expert Review|
Ricardo Mendiola started MSI Credit Solutions in 2005 after enjoying the benefits of credit restoration. A team of experts now delivers reliable and affordable credit repair services so others benefit from improved credit scores.
|Read Expert Review|
The Credit People has over 10 years of experience helping people clean up their credit history. The company's services include working on all three credit reports, debt validations and creditor interventions.
|Read Expert Review|
What features matter most?
The price of credit repair can very significant from company to company. The services a client needs will also affect the price. It’s important to understand the credit repair company’s pricing structure so that consumers pay only for services that that are actually needed. Consumers should understand the following fee breakdowns:
- Membership fees: If a credit repair company requires a membership, the consumer must make certain to understand the fee amount, what the fee covers and how often it is assessed.
- Per-service fees: Paying per service may keep credit repair prices down depending on what services you need. With this fee, the consumer only pays for the services he or she needs.
- Monitoring fees: Credit report monitoring services can help prevent future mistakes on a credit report and usually comes at an extra cost.
When credit reports contain inaccurate items, credit repair companies can dispute them to improve scores. This service may involve collecting information, writing letters to credit bureaus and, in some cases, taking legal action.
- Credit bureau disputes: This activity involves a credit repair company writing letters on the consumer’s behalf to the credit bureaus to dispute questionable items. These items might include questions about purchase records and other miscellaneous charges.
- Creditor disputes: At times, a credit repair company may need to contact the original creditor to solve disputes. While not always necessary, this can be an important service provided by a credit repair company.
- Legal disputes: Some credit repair companies have lawyers and/or paralegals on staff. If credit bureaus and creditors do respond to requests, and legal action is necessary, easy access to legal help is beneficial.
Clients need to understand available access to their credit repair company including how to get in touch with representatives, phone and chat hours as well as website and online services.
- Online accounts: Some credit repair firms offer 24/7 online account access. Customers should check the SSL encryption and other security features before accessing their accounts online to ensure their information is secure.
- Mobile app accounts: Some companies use mobile apps to give clients access to their accounts on the go.
Due to the nature of credit repair activities, access to account managers and online records is important. Consumers should assess customer service quality when choosing a credit report agency.
- Personalized accounts: Some companies offer a personal case manager while others have a team approach to customer service. Investigate the access hours for the account manager or account team.
- Knowledgebase: A knowledgebase or educational portal lets clients access resources to educate themselves on issues related to credit and credit repair. Companies vary on the level and types of educational tools available, from blogs, to videos, to PDFs and more.
Many consumers and businesses see credit monitoring as an important step toward protecting their credit scores. When new items are included in a credit history, credit monitoring can alert the consumer for future scrutiny and verification. Customers should make certain that all three credit reporting agencies are included in the credit monitoring services.
- Ongoing: Agencies that provide ongoing credit monitoring may check credit histories frequently to find new items as soon as they are recorded. Consumers must understand exactly what services are provided within their credit monitoring package. Clients need to ask questions and be aware of all that is included in their credit monitoring package, e.g. how often credit is monitored and how the client will be contacted in the event of a breach.
At times, consumers and businesses may need legal services to remove inaccurate credit items or negotiate repayments. Some credit repair agencies have legal professionals on staff, while others offer access to legal assistance. Note: not all credit repair companies offer customers legal services.
- Item removal: When a credit bureau fails to remove inaccurate information from a credit report, an agency may provide legal services that involve the court system. This gives consumers an extra opportunity to remove the questionable item.
- Negotiations: Legal services may also negotiate with creditors to reach compromises.
- Letters: Written letters from lawyers are often given more weight than letters written by consumers.Written letters from lawyers are often given more weight than letters that come directly from consumers.
What are different types of credit repair services?
Negotiating with creditors may lower the amount of money owed, reducing the consumer’s debt load and making it more affordable to improve credit histories and scores. Professionals should have the credentials and experience required for successful debt negotiation.
Credit histories often contain inaccurate items, and the item disputes process disputes erroneous entries to improve credit scores. Depending on the item and the reason it has been included in a credit history, this could involve writing a short letter or performing significant amounts of research.
Since inaccuracies and identity theft can happen at any time, many credit repair companies offer ongoing monitoring services that catch problems early. This potentially makes it easier for clients to address inaccuracies before they cause financial problems.
Who's it for?
Qualifying for a loan is extremely difficult for people with poor credit. Those who do manage to get approval usually pay higher interest rates. By improving their credit scores, they can improve the likeliness of qualifying for a lower rate loan.
Poor credit often means that consumers pay higher deposits and credit card interest rates. This is an exceptional hardship for individuals and families who are already struggling financially. The right credit repair service could improve scores so these consumers do not have to spend more money on goods and services.
Since businesses with poor credit often have difficulty attracting the loans and investments they need to grow, they may choose to use a credit repair organization to improve their financial standing.
What does the expert have to say?
Lexington Law is a legal credit repair and credit education firm located in North Salt Lake, Utah. The company has over 25 years of experience helping people all over the United States find affordable and legal ways to dispute credit inaccuracies and repair bad credit.
- Services: Lexington Law uses the applicable consumer protection laws to help their clients make sure their credit reports are fair, accurate and substantiated. The firm challenges credit problems and mistakes, which has resulted in the removal of millions of inaccurate credit items from their clients’ credit reports.
- Fees: The subscription membership model offers two levels of service. The Concord Premier charges a one-time $99.95 fee a week or so after initial free consultation and $99.95 monthly, which is cancellable at any time. The Concord Standard charges the same initial $99.95 and a lower monthly fee of $79.95 for an amended services package.
- Credit score analysis: Concord Premier clients receive a credit score analysis from Lexington Law that helps clients understand the current health of their credit as well as targeted information to help them improve their credit scores.
- Legal action: Lexington Law does more than just provide credit repair advice, the company has a team of attorneys and paralegals that can advocate on their clients' behalf.
- Contact: Clients can keep a close eye on their case activities by using the Lexington Law mobile app or by logging into the website. Clients have access to a team of paralegals for help and information.
- Credit education: The firm offers an extensive library of credit and credit repair news, books, blog and legal rights.
- Best for Individuals trying to repair credit problems, those who want access to legal services, families who want to boost their credit scores and anyone concerned about credit scores.
Founded by attorneys, Ovation Credit Services grants legal and business expertise to help clients repair their credit and gain an optimal credit profile.
- Best for Individuals suffering from less than perfect credit ratings and looking for a reliable company, with proven results to help.
The Credit Pros is a national credit repair company dedicated to helping clients remove inaccurate information from their credit reports.
- Best for Individuals with inaccurate information on their credit reports, consumers looking to improve their credit scores and businesses seeking credit.
Sky Blue Credit Repair is a credit repair and restoration company that has been in business since 1989. The company is licensed and registered with the State Attorney General’s office and bonded. Their counselors are paid by salary, not commission. The firm offers help to individuals and families looking to clean up their credit histories and learn how to improve their financial lives.
- Best for Individuals with inaccurate information on their credit reports, those who want to improve their scores and those who want ongoing credit report monitoring services.
RepairMyCreditNow.com is based on a credit restoration process that the CEO created in 1997 to help overcome his own credit problems. It is a division of RMCN Credit Services, Inc. and offers both credit repair and educational tools.
- Best for People who need false information removed from their reports and those negotiating with creditors.
Trinity Credit Services is a Texas-based company that provides a range of services designed to help consumers repair and improve their credit scores. The company is registered with the Texas Secretary of State and is a member of the McKinney, TX, Chamber of Commerce.
- Best for People who need false information removed from their reports, individuals looking to buy a home and those negotiating with creditors.
My Credit Group, founded in 2000, is a credit repair company staffed by credit experts, loan officers, collection agents and debt negotiators. The company has been employed by numerous organizations, including the United States Department of Defense and Chase Manhattan. The company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and is a Circle of Influence Member of the Chamber of Commerce.
- Best for People who want to remove negative information from their credit reports, individuals looking for affordable credit repair services and anyone in need of credit counseling.
Park View Credit is a credit repair company staffed with Certified Credit Analysts and based in Westlake Village, California. The company provides case-by-case services tailored to each client's needs.
- Best for Individuals who need help disputing erroneous credit report items, those who want to improve their credit and families who want to qualify for low-interest loans.
MSI Credit Solutions, a Texas-based company founded in 2006, assists clients with credit repair, restoration and credit rebuilding. MSI is registered with the Texas Secretary of State, is fully bonded, offers services in Spanish and English and is a member of The Frisco Chamber of Commerce.
- Best for Anyone who wants to improve their credit scores and remove erroneous items from their reports.
Founded in 2001, the Credit People is an Orlando-based credit repair company that is committed to helping their clients improve their credit reports and raise their credit scores. Their employees include credit repair specialists, score analytics, support, sales and executive teams.
- Best for Individuals and families with inaccurate credit report items seeking to improve their credit, those who desire access to a wide array of credit services and those who want multiple fee options.
Founded in 1997, CreditRepair.com goes beyond a one-time credit repair to help clients achieve lifetime credit success. They do more than just remove negative items from a credit report; they repair credit history as well.
- Best for Individuals and families trying to repair their credit, those with faulty information on their credit reports and those concerned about identity theft.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
11 – 11 Most Reviewed Credit Repair Companies
RepairMyCreditNow.com specializes in credit restoration, offering a variety of services that help clients correct credit report inaccuracies and improve credit scores. Once repaired, monitoring services keep the report accurate.
|Read Expert Review|