Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.94/5

1596 Experian Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 17, 2019

They NO longer have live people you can talk with. They have 4 phone numbers and NOT ONE can you reach a live person. You have to do everything through mail. Please let me know if anyone has a good number to speak with a human.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I was looking for a service where I thought I could look up my credit report anytime. You know, to make sure there were no accounts opened in my name etc. Nooooo....You have one shot to see your credit report. No updates, no protection, no alerts. All you get for $21.99 a month is a credit score update once a month. I can get my credit score anytime when I sign on to my bank account for free. Plus, you can get a free credit report once a year from the "BIG THREE". What a rip. Then through my own laziness, I didn't look it up till today (5 months later) to find out I can't even see the report I paid for without paying $4.99. Double rip. To make a long story short (opps, too late) I paid over $100 bucks. My fault. Should have looked up reviews. Of course I cancelled with another lesson learned. Hope I can save someone else for my stupidity. PS. Wonder how long it will take to get them to stop taking out of my account before I have to call the bank. LOL.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2019

They charge you a membership fee and provide you no answers whatsoever! I was just transferred 11 different times (over two hours of my time) and got zero answers. Even when they provide an answer it is incorrect! I CERTAINLY DO NOT recommend their service! They are incompetent and rude!!

Original review: July 8, 2019

My husband's credit has been compromised, so I went in to place Fraud alerts and freeze his credit on all three credit bureaus. The other two credit bureaus are amazing. It took me maybe 15 minutes to do both of them. Experian just keeps kicking me out, saying the information I give is incorrect or not complete. So instead, mail in all this information via snail mail and THEN they'll freeze your credit. OR it says, "Sorry, internal error, we're canceling everything." I THINK I got a fraud alert out there? Maybe it's good I can't seem to freeze his credit. Might take just as long to thaw it when we need it again.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I have been disputing a late charge that was due to paying a new credit card at Neiman Marcus vs. an old #. Of course, I have had this account through Bergdorf Goodman for more than 30 years. I pay the new number and all of a sudden my account is one month late. I have paid this account in full since faithfully. I do that with all my cards.

I have had a credit rating over 800 for a long period of time. Because of that error my credit score went from Excellent to good and the current number is 738. I try and dispute this with Experian but all they do is inundate me with credit card offers through them. Why, so that they can lower ones score more. Nothing works in trying to fix this. It happened in February and so they tell me it’s 2 years of on time payments. I pay everything on time! Don’t use my cards except for my Amex platinum and have substantial equity. I know this all started with Neiman Marcus and it’s very disappointing and for Experian to constantly send various gimmicks on how to raise my score by taking a survey or applying for a loan is not ethical.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: July 5, 2019

Today I requested a 3 credit score report from EXPERIAN's website. After they asked me personal information to verify my identity and credit scores they asked me to pay $1.08 to get the 3 reports. I provide my card info and the next window ask me to get a membership benefits for $24.99 a month that includes a 30 day trial free. Also it can be cancel any time. I click to that window to get the free trial then my report started loading. To my surprise EXPERIAN only provide me with 1 score from Transunion (they explain this missing credit scores as insufficient credit information) which I know is not true because I have my credit card linked to one of the 3 companies and they send my score. I just contact them to cancel the membership and a course I did ask for a refund $1.08 for the 3 reports that they supposed to provide me in the first place. I just hope that this review help other people in my situation.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Experian will not allow you to place a security freeze on your credit online as Equifax and TransUnion will. You have to send all your private info through the mail. I did this for myself and my wife. I sent all required information to Experian and "Clearly" asked them to place a Security Freeze on both our accounts. I even sent the information to an address starting with "Experian Security Freeze" in Allen Texas.

I received a letter from Experian, 2 weeks later, telling me they could not UNFREEZE my credit because there was not a freeze on it! I did not want to UNFREEZE my account, I wanted to FREEZE it! The letter said if I have any questions, please contact Experian. The letter was not signed by anyone, and it gave no telephone numbers. I clearly gave Experian contact telephone numbers and email address. They could have instantly reached out to me to clear up any confusion. I am not at all surprised about the huge data breach Experian had. What an incompetent company.

Original review: July 5, 2019

What a piece of crap tool. Outside of the clean looking site, the Boost tool just doesn't work. I am unable to authenticate into PNC (API issues at Experian) and nothing was found via my Huntington bank account, even though I pay all of my bills via electronic transfer. Their "boost" doesn't work at all and their customer support, whom barely speak English (sound like they just ran across the border and this was the first job they were able to find) have no clue on how the system works and are COMPLETELY non-technical. This includes the female supervisor that I spoke to... completely useless individual, I could barely understand her. I asked for this to be escalated via IT ticket and they gave me a case number (which they use for feedback) in which I am unable to follow-up. PATHETIC, do not use these ** clowns' software.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Experian increased my rate and up-sold me a more expensive membership without my permission. Ever since they did, I have not been able to access my account. I tried to call them to fix it or cancel, but cannot get through to a person. I sent them several emails without response. Their customer service is non-existent, and their product is a scam. Now I get unsolicited emails saying they have "matched" me to different credit cards and loans. BEWARE AND STAY AWAY!

Original review: July 4, 2019

Experian is tricking consumers into getting billed for a monthly subscription when their intention is simply to use the free credit reporting and freezing service advertised. Looking at other consumer reports I can see that this is a widespread practice of deceit, in which Experian is purposely not being clear that they are signing up consumers for a costly subscription. They do not send any receipts or notifications that you are going to be billed or that you have signed up for this paid service. They refuse to provide refunds and are clearly knowingly using this as a scam to steal money from vulnerable consumers simply looking to protect their data. I use the other credit reporting agencies and haven't been tricked into anything like this and I cannot argue strongly enough not to use this service.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have a collection reporting on my credit that shouldn’t be there. I have sent to 609 letters and both times Experian says verified without showing me any proof to how they verified it. The laws are clear and they’re not following them. I have not received one letter from Experian, the collection agency or the original creditor with a contract with my name or signature on it. They refuse to help and instead say verified with no proof. All they do is send an updated credit report saying verified. They are constantly breaking the FCRA laws and are not being punished for it.

Original review: July 2, 2019

This company makes it incredibly hard to unfreeze access to your credit even when you have your social security number and all historical information. If you do not have the PIN that they sent you years back and cannot remember it, they won't unlock your credit report! Good luck buying a house or anything quickly because the only way to get the PIN from them is by mail! IT'S INSANE!!!! I won't be using the freeze feature any longer moving forward and would rather take the risk of it being stolen. Undoing that would be easier than having the freeze removed.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Experian lowered my score by 14 points. When I called them they could not give me a reason, I filed an official complaint with consumerfinance.gov. Here is number to Experian 714-830-7000, enter personal info, press 1 and hold for a minute you will get someone on the line. Also Experian has started the new boost program where you can add your utility bills. I strongly feel that this is a marketing tactic to get people to use this service, as there is a fee for this service. The more people complain the better chance we have at getting this company to do the right thing by US the consumer.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Their credit score is over 100 points less than the other two. The phone number they list puts you in a phone tree that ends with one option. You can't speak to a person and there is no extension for questions. They also say I have an alert and a drop of 26 points but I can't see why. I can't email or call to ask why. They are an autonomous, frigid, authority with control of your life but totally unresponsive to your needs. They use to be the best credit score company, now they are an abomination.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Impossible to cancel. Never get a person who can help. When you finally reach a human they transfer you somewhere else on "hold", and never come back to you. Now into my third hour trying to get someone...DON'T EVER SIGN UP WITH THEM. God only knows how many people they are still charging now for what we can all get free. Sham and shameful.

Original review: June 27, 2019

You CANNOT get a person, only a stupid prompt. I called 2 different numbers and still can't get a "warm body". What kind of company doesn't give you an option to talk to a customer service rep. I wish you had stars that go into the negative.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I had a membership a few years ago because Neiman Marcus once let go of my info. The username is now not working when I try to log in. When I use the "forgot pw" link to try to get it working again, the reply by Experian is that they sent the email to an AOL account that is NOT me. No one to contact. They simply point you to their site and hang up the recorded messages. We need government oversight.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I have been trying to get a loan to fix my car. Alas, it has ended in failure due to the fact out of the 3, Experian has royally ** me. My credit score with the other two are 730. I was rejected due to Experian being at 633. Why is it so low??? I tried calling their main number and all I get is an automated machine with very little choices and static. I FINALLY received someone by calling tel:+17148307000. (Yeah, they don’t put this one up). And the attitude I received from the customer service rep was bad. I was calm and collected and just wanted answers. He was short with me and had a sighing attitude.

The only explanation I was given was, "we update when we receive paper from your lenders/credit card companies." Which makes 0 sense. Because the other two are updated and Experian hasn’t been updated for 2 damn months. I don’t not understand as to why we have to have 3 credit reporting bureau. So now I have to contact Chase and ask them what’s going on to be only told it will probably be an Experian issue...

Original review: June 22, 2019

Experian uses coercive practices when it comes to the security of their consumer accounts. I cancelled my paid membership that allowed me to lock or unlock my Experian credit information at will but I had added a credit report freeze long before I had a membership account with the option to lock or unlock my report. After I cancelled that account I found out the credit freeze I had placed on my account no longer existed, thereby leaving my credit account exposed to possible fraud on my account.

I did not know that Experian had left me exposed to credit fraud for three days when I received an email stating ("Because you’ve cancelled your paid membership and no longer have access to CreditLock, your Experian credit file has been unlocked. So, any upcoming scheduled lock or unlock has been cancelled. Upgrade your account to use this feature again"). It was not explained to me that the credit freeze I had placed on my account before I opened my paid information account had been removed from my Experian account. I feel this is deceptive and coercive in order to get me to reopen one of their paid accounts.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I tried to remove the credit freeze I had on my Experian credit information. The online form did not work for me, with no explanation. Then a web page appeared with instructions on how to request an "unfreeze" by mail. It stayed on for a few seconds, then closed automatically. I FOUND NO WAY TO GET THEIR MAILING ADDRESS ON THEIR WEBSITE! I had to go do a search on the web and a third party website gave me the mailing address!! This kind of hiding from the customer is inexcusable.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I removed a fraud alert from the other 2 companies with NO issues, it has been 2 full weeks and I am still being jerked around by Experian. Submitted request to remove twice to the PO Box, uploaded a PDF doc after several unsuccessful attempts on a confusing website. Made countless phone calls to talk to a live person.

Well, Experian lied, there are live people, you just have wait on hold for 20 plus minutes to get a live person. When I did get help, I could not understand one thing she said. Terrible, I hope I never have to deal with Experian again. Why in the world does it take weeks to remove a fraud alert???

Original review: June 18, 2019

30 day free trial is a lie. They charged $27 before 2 weeks, and I tried to contact them to cancel. Cannot contact a person but the auto system charged another $6. I had to call the bank and cancel them. Do not trust Experian. They lie.

Original review: June 15, 2019

For the last month now I have not been able to monitor my credit score due to Experian update needed. And when I go to Google play store to update my Experian App, it tells me the update is not compatible with my phone. GREAT! Is anyone else having this problem?

Original review: June 7, 2019

For the same reasons stated by other regarding difficulties with unfreezing account. NO LIVE PERSON. NO WAY TO REACH ANYONE. Nothing but a huge inconvenience especially when you are in a bind. They ask you to send a request by mail to their PO BOX number in Texas. None of the other credit bureaus make it so awfully painful for the consumers.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I'm currently unfreezing my credit accounts with the 3 major credit agencies. Started with Equifax - wasn't sure where to begin, so I called their customer service number and was connected to an actual person within 2 minutes. Unfrozen without any problems. TransUnion - Hopped on their website, punched in my information, unfroze my account. Done.

Experian - Opened the web page, Confusing to navigate, punched in my information, didn't work for some reason. Called customer service, got a robot, had to look up how to get a person on the phone, needed very detailed instructions to get an actual person which took 30 minutes to gather. Called the number to wait on hold for 30 minutes, gave the representative my personal info, got put on hold for 5 minutes at a time for 3 times, asked for a supervisor, got put on hold again, found out that because I got one of my security questions wrong that they are unable to help me without my pin which I didn't remember. They offered to mail me a pin which could take 7-10 business days.... I think you get the idea.

I hope this comes as a warning to others to be very particular about the information you save in order to reference it for Experian. They will most likely be unable to help you without a detailed account of all of your information and god forbid you get one of the security questions wrong. Have fun waiting a week or 2 to get your account unfrozen. Can't say enough about the help I got.... FROM THE OTHER 2 COMPANIES! Experian is the devil incarnate.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I put a credit freeze on my account two years ago and carefully wrote down the PIN number. I needed to lift the freeze, however the PIN is eleven numbers long while the web form only allowed for ten. I had to call in and was then presented with randomized security questions about a credit card I never had and the location of a home of a deceased family member. Ultimately was successful, but was time consuming and frustrating.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Even though I never used this service or knowingly signed up for the service and further the service is not in my name, this shady company through some fine print billed me for 9 months on my credit card even though I have never used the serviced. Now I am being forced to pay 9 months because their "policy" is to only credit one month. How great for them, free money, I am sure many people are getting signed up unknowingly and then unable to get a refund. The government should look into this.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I used freeze protection with all my credit score companies - Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. However, when I needed to get a new credit card and install utilities at a new apartment, while the process of temporarily unfreezing for Equifax and TransUnion took no more than 15 minutes total, there were endless problems with Experian. First it took ages just to be able to get onto customer service because the bot does not give the option of discussing freeze options, then when I got onto customer service, the best they could do is tell me to mail in a host of evidence for verification. So basically no electricity for me or the much needed new card because of Experian for over a week. I give them 2 stars because they definitely blocked my people from accessing my credit. However, if you need to unfreeze your account in an emergency, this company is just NOT equipped to help you. Personally, I'll take my chances not using their service and I think I'll be better off for it.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I wish I could give them zero stars. This company is a complete sham. I don't understand how they can get away with doing such bad business. My credit score with them is 65 points lower than the other two companies. I initiated two disputes on my account on collections that are not mine, TransUnion and Equifax did due diligence and removed them, not Experian, oh no. They chose to validate these fraudulent accounts and drop my score even though I have a great mix of a mortgage, loan, and four credit cards. My oldest account is 14 years old. I paid off two cars and a $10,000 personal loan and I have NEVER missed or been late on a payment in 14 years on any of these accounts. 14 years...on my cc's. My utilization is under 10 percent and they drop my score because of these fraudulent accounts. Then I tried their boost sham and it lowered my score even more, even though I have never missed a payment on any of my utilities, either.

I called Experian customer service and after 25 minutes got a rep from overseas who barely spoke English and who promptly hung up on me when I asked her to explain my score dropping 20 points with no negative reporting. What a Sham company. I would love to get together with a group of you and do a class action lawsuit against them. This is the only way, WE, The People, who keep them in business can get justice and make them accountable for their actions. We can do this guys, we have to make Experian accountable. I am reporting them to the BBB and my attorney general.

Original review: May 24, 2019

On May 9th 2019 my score was dropped 9 points and on May 10th 2019 my credit score drop 15 points. I contacted Experian who tried to make up excused why my scores were dropped both days with no new creditors and current paid creditors were up to date. They (Supervisor "Nicole") still could not give me a sufficient answer. I informed her that I have a BBB complaint in which they still refuse to reply and a CFPB against them. I've tried my hardest the past two years to build up my credit report as I knew my two kids will be graduating from high school and attending college and would need vehicles and college assistance. That is why I paid off all my creditors 2 years ago. I am a total and permanent disabled veteran on a fixed income and knew that this day would arrive. No thanks to Experian I am catching hell in my household as ALL new credit apps have been denied!

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg