1.08/5
  • 1 star
Based on 132 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Experian

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

1325 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

We paid for our credit report and the next day our credit score dropped by 14 points; we called after 1 1/2 hour wait on hold and was told our mortgage lender was "updating" their website and they dropped our mortgage off of our credit report; we called our mortgage lender and was told this was not true. We called back another 1 hour and 45 mins on hold and was told that it was in fact Experian that was updating their accounts and they did not have any idea how long it would be before our mortgage was shown in good standing again. So 1 week later still waiting and trying to get an auto loan because our car died and we are screwed because of Experian. The WORST crap company around...

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have had a membership for over a year. They have charged me $19.95 a month totaling $239.40 in the past year. I can no longer afford this over-priced service and have not been able to cancel membership. I did not supply an updated credit card for billing and tried to reach them online to request cancellation; however I was not able to sign on to my account until I supplied an "updated credit card". Meanwhile Experian has been accruing charges but not allowing access to my account. I have tried to reach them by telephone but have been on one hour and ten minutes as I write this review...I have reviewed old paperwork I downloaded a year ago and it appears impossible to cancel membership. I am now forced to send certified mail to request cancellation to this company that portrays itself as looking out for you!!! Apparently it is a one-sided relationship. They are out for themselves and are unreachable, on purpose.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I had a nasty experience with Experian customer support earlier today. I paid $1 by credit card in September 2017, for what I believed was a charge to place a credit freeze on my account. However, I was actually scammed into signing up for a 7-day trial membership to their Credit Works Plus program, costing $21.95 per month. I did not notice the monthly charge to my credit card for the next few months, but when I did finally see what was going on I tried canceling the membership online and started calling Experian customer support for a full credit.

This was impossible to do over the past month because the of extremely long wait times (45 minutes to over 1 hour) when you call. Who do they think has time to waste waiting on hold for more than 45 minutes!!! When I finally reached them today after only 40 minutes on hold, they would only cancel the membership and credit me the last charge in December. However, they would not credit me for the Sept/Oct/Nov charges, which totaled $65.85. Like other consumers who have fallen for this Experian trap, I am appalled by their deceptive and dubious sales tactics.

I noticed in today's news that Senators Mark Warner and Elizabeth Warren introduced legislation to severely punish Equifax for their major security breach blunder last year. I believe the Senators should also look into the deceitful sales practice that Experian uses on consumers. Whatever license Experian possess to be one of the three credit bureaus, should be revoked and they should be required to refund consumers in full.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Several months ago, I subscribed to Experian's credit reporting service as I was planning on refinancing my home. I saw that my credit card was being debited $24.00 per month by Experian as a recurring charge for this service. After combing through the website, I learned that the ONLY way to cancel this subscription was via 1-800 number. I finally got through to a rep after being on hold (listening to advertisements for premium Experian services) for over 2 hours. I would have to suggest that any reasonable consumer should look to other consumer credit reporting services before dealing with Experian. If you can sign up online, you should be able to cancel online. To require a customer to place a 1-800 call that required a 2+ hour wait on hold is not borderline abusive... It is abusive.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Was on a website to find lost money. This website said to pay a dollar that would give my husband's credit scores for a dollar before continuing on the site for the original reason we were visiting the lost money site. We did. Big mistake!!! The bank account bounced after paying a lot of bills. Thinking I made a math error I went bank through the statement to find a charge of $39.90. Had to ask the bank what the charge was since I didn't know what it was. They said it came from credit report.com.

Found a phone number and called it only to find the correct name (EXPERIAN CREDIT WORKS!!!) I'm now on hold, while writing this, in the hopes of canceling this membership I didn't know we had. Been almost an hour wait time and counting. I wonder if a lawyer got stung by this company? At last count, on the Consumer Affairs dashboard, there's over 1000 people and counting that have been burned by this. How many people do you need for a class action lawsuit? They owe me for $39.90 and bouncing bank charges $39.00. Now I can't cancel!!! I can see a trip to my bank in my future requesting a new debit card!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I signed up for a dollar during the data breach and after the trial period was charged 29.99 a month. A complete waste of money. The only way to cancel is to call and the estimated wait time is over an HOUR. There is no way to cancel online. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS SERVICE or anything else through Experian. It's easier to just lock your credit.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I signed up for Experian's three monthly credit reports and scores and had it for a few months but when I decided to cancel the $24.99/mo charge, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of them. There is no way to cancel online which is strange enough, but when I called them, I was on hold with them for two hours on three different occasions and never even got a person on the phone! I tried some other numbers listed online but they were always busy. What kind of company runs their business like this? Ultimately I had to call my credit union and have them cancel my debit card and issue a new one to stop the charges. What a pain. I will never use Experian's services again and I really hope they just go out of business. I would say that their behavior is bordering on a scam, not a real, credible business.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

This place must be some kind of joke. As of right now I have been on hold for 1 hour and 27 minutes. That’s after calling their automated service about 10 times and being hung up on. They are crooks. They keep you on hold thinking you will hang up and not be able to cancel the worthless service they say they provide. Too bad I will literally wait on this phone all day if I have too. You may be greedy but I’m a lot more stubborn than you are. Place needs to be shut down.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

As other reviews indicate, they make it very difficult to cancel your membership. Mine was set to expire on Dec 30th so I called during listed business hours only to find out they're closed for the holidays. They charged me on the 1st for $29.99 worth of services that were pretty much useless (there's no real reason to keep a membership). So here I am having to donate at least an hour of my day to hopefully speak to a human being and get the charges reversed. There's no email or chat feature or any other way to speak with customer service, hence why their phone lines are heavily impacted. They're just a terrible company. Don't support them.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I signed up for the $1 trial. Tried to cancel a couple days later and was on the phone for 2+ hours until they closed for the night. Tried back again a couple times with the same result (waiting on hold for hours). Of course I had my phone on speaker during this time. This is the last day to cancel, and they are closed for New Year's Day. Of course they won't factor that into my membership based on what I am reading. I called my bank and blocked them. Perhaps it will hurt my credit score, lol. Oh well.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

If Experian has the ability to see all 3 scores, how could they not see how far off they are from the other two bureaus and fix it? Score is over 100 points lower than Equifax and TU. I hand filed disputes to fix the inaccuracies, they updated the two accounts to closed but left the full balances in there instead of updating to $0. I hope someday the power these bureaus have to ruin your life is nullified!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I pay a monthly subscription to Experian to have access to both my credit report and credit score, however, the Experian website show my credit report has a good credit behavior and a FICO score of 637 and it stated I am considered to have a fair credit score. I felt confident to apply for a small loan less than 1000. I was denied the loan by the company and received a letter saying the reason for the denial is based on my Experian credit report showing a delinquent public record and a score of 597.

The fact is I don't have any public records or public delinquent accounts at all, and the Experian website showed my FICO score to be 637 NOT 597, that is a big difference when it comes to FICO credit scores. I have tried to resolve this issue with Experian and the representative never have any explanation for the inaccuracies. I am going to cancel my account with Experian and research who to report this unfair, unreliable, untrue practice of deceiving consumers too. SHAME ON YOU EXPERIAN!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I called every week or two to cancel my account for 3 months. I would wait 30 mins each time and hang up to call another day. I couldn't find an email on their webpage to correspond at least with a time stamp. I was charged 21.74 every month. Finally I just called today and waited 52 mins before someone finally got to my call. They could not refund me back for my 3 months of non-use, attempts to contact, and discontent. They pretty much stole 66 dollars from me. It's not a lot of money but the principle of the matter is that they are THIEFS.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Experian Creditworks - Somehow when getting her credit report my wife accidentally signed up for a premium service. She thought she was paying $1 for a credit report. After noticing 3 months of charges at $21.95 we called Experian. The first time I was put on hold for a long time. After calling a second time they agreed to refund 1 month. My wife said it was not clear she would be charged monthly $21.95 that seems very expensive for any type of monitoring service. It's more than my gym membership. I have nothing against Experian but it seems a credit reporting service should be EXTRA CAREFUL that their customers and the public are clear when they are signing up for a premium service. An email saying you will be billed 21.95 a month in the subject line would be nice as I am sure few people would file a credit dispute against Experian. I feel they should have given a full refund.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I signed up for Experian's credit monitoring service at $21.95/month but after two months saw that it was not worth the money. I tried to cancel, but they are impossible to contact. Not difficult to contact - *impossible* to contact. On their website there is no way to a) cancel the service online, or b) leave them an email or open a support ticket. The only way to contact them about my account is a phone number displayed in the "Contact us" section. But I have been trying to call that number for a week and am always told that my expected wait time is "over one hour".

Even if you try to call their main US phone number in California (not the support number) it is always busy. What sort of corporation always has a busy phone number? Short of calling them in IRELAND (they are one of those "moved offshore to avoid paying US taxes" companies) they cannot be reached. Finally had to call American Express and dispute the latest charge and put a block on all future charges from Experian. All in all a miserable, miserable experience.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Experian is horrible point blank. You be on hold for two hours literally and the people who work have no idea what they're doing. It's kinda like they withhold information from their own employees. The lady on had no idea how to unlock my account and told me just call back in 24 hrs after on hold for two hours. Just don't waste your time and they will bill you 19.99 on your card in a heartbeat even after you cancel. Just don't do it.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I signed up for credit monitoring for 1.00 for a free 7 day trial not realizing I would be charged after the trial period. Once I realized I was charged I actually thought about keeping the service and even upgrading it. I called the number on my cell and was on hold for 1 hour and 30 minutes! I then dialed from my house phone and what was supposed to be a 3 minute wait time ended up being another 45 minutes. I asked to have my membership canceled and requested a refund. My membership was canceled but they refused to do a refund.

I then asked to speak to a supervisor to which I never go to do. If I really needed customer support for something major like identity theft, you don't need to be on the phone that long each time you contact them. All you would get done in a day would be waiting on hold for them to answer. I'm not upset with them about the non-refund as I am about the wait time. I would not recommended Experian to anyone due to this issue. Maybe they need to hire more people to make their customer service more efficient.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Had no idea I signed up for this service until I started receiving $25 monthly bills. Impossible to get a hold of customer support despite exorbitant fees for a service that's essentially provided for free from CreditKarma. Experian engages in purposely deceptive membership practices simply to access your personal data, and this coming from an industry known for jeopardizing the security of sensitive consumer data. Credit reporting agencies need tighter regulation for this and other reasons -- CONTACT YOUR CONGRESS PERSON and let them know this is important to you.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

They pulled the bait and switch on me. Signed up for a "ONE TIME" fee, yet 10 months later I was getting billed $25/month. Yes... I should have caught it sooner. I did not expect a full refund, but I figured if I explained that since the first time I used it I had NEVER logged in again, they would work with me. Nope. I waited on hold for TWO HOURS!!! Once I got a real person, they literally did nothing for me. Just kept saying, "We're very sorry sir" and "We understand your frustration." Yet nothing changed. They waived one month. I got screwed over by their bait and switch tactics.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

This company has to have the poorest customer service I've witnessed in all my years of interfacing with various companies via memberships, products etc. After the massive data breach on their part, I foolishly opted for their $1.00 scan of the web which included the 'dark web'. I supplied them with my Discover Card info etc.; I.E, a huge mistake. Due to the fact I didn't call to terminate my association with them via their initial scan they started billing me $19.95 per month. I've tried time and again to get through with an average wait time of one hour or more. This is ridiculous.

I called a number not provided by my account info that I acquired via researching complaints against this company. I finally reached an operator at 714 830 7000 who in turn transferred me to the same line that has a one hour queue. Prior to her doing so I laid out my complaint concerning customer service and I then realized all she did was punch my T.S. card. I've called Discover and stopped payment to them via the dispute process explaining I cannot get resolution via their contact numbers. No problem on the part of Discover. I've still tried to do the 'right thing' by making contact, but it's not going to happen.

Why oh why did I trust a company that lost millions of records due to a hack and decide to enlist their service is beyond me? I have their California address so I'll write a snail mail letter. I'm just a responsible person and will complete my part to terminate my membership. Based on my experience this company is engaged in consumer fraud even though they are in the business of tracking consumer credit for determining our FICO score/s, preventing fraud etc. How crazy is that?! Do NOT get involved with Experian Credit Services unless you want a major headache.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Experian keeps charging me for a membership I canceled three months ago. This makes the second time they have billed me 21.95 on my credit card. I called them and canceled, and now three months later they are billing me again. I have already been on the phone with them 53 minutes and still holding. Someone out there needs to do something with this fraudulent company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I went into the website to dispute a mistake made on my credit report. After jumping through many hoops to create this account and then was not able to complete. I had to call the 800 number. And that’s where the fun really began. I was transferred to 4 different departments having to give all my data 4 different times. On the last person I spoke to talked so fast asking numerous questions I couldn’t understand what she was asking. So we got cut off before I could tell her to slow down. Then the 100 emails began one right after another telling me all the disputes. And I had only one dispute. They push the identity theft program like crazy. Especially after the so called data breach. I believe that the data breach they reported was just a way to sell more identity theft programs. This is wrong by any standards. If there was a lower star count for reviews I would give a neg 3.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I clicked to reviews of this company as I sit here and wait (over 45 minutes) for customer service to cancel an account I wasn't aware I had. As I read the reviews I see that I am not the only one with this problem. I too signed up for the one time $1.00 review and cancelled in the required 7 day free trial. Well I guess they didn't get the cancellation (and I haven't been checking closely), but unlike all the other customers that are being ripped off and paying $21 to $23 per month, I have been paying $29.95. This has been going on since April and I need to get it cancelled. But by the looks of it, they don't cancel. What a terrible company.

I have to check closer in the future and now I have to call the bank to see what they can do for me on this. There is still no customer service person on the phone and I don't have time for this bs. Good luck to me and to all of you too. Don't do business with these people. Oh, by the way, they now advertise they will do it for free (HAHAHAHAHA). Every month (HAHAHAHA). Go through Credit Karma.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I had a trial for Experian in September and cancelled before the trial was over and got charged 39.95. Trying to get a hold of them is unreal!!! Been on the phone for 2 hours today and also tried yesterday for longer than 2 hours just to get these charges off. This is horrible customer service!!! Would not recommend.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Worst consumer care service I've ever seen. I'm trying to cancel my account, and it is impossible. They don't allow cancellation online, only by phone. They don't answer a call. I'm writing now while on hold on the phone for 25 minutes. I'm sick of this company, they don't provide any information worth the monthly payment. The credit card or bank company can provide the same data for free. Worst experience I've ever had with service in US. Do not recommend for a enemy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I also submitted my information to obtain my FICO credit score. $1.00 was charged to my account. Now I see recurring payments of $23.72 to my card. I never consented to this, however apparently there is a fine print clause unknowing consumers are missing. I attempted several times to call the number Experian provided to cancel this "subscription," only to remain on hold for hours. No estimated time given. I've now simply cancelled my card and ordered a new one. Hopefully they can't continue to charge me. Buyers beware! Use Credit Karma instead!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I also signed up for 1$. The trial was useless. Since there was no benefit I never signed up for membership. I still got billed. Calling Experian is 30 minutes hold time. After I speak to them I am also calling my bank.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I’m actually typing this while I’ve been on hold with Experian for exactly 1 hr and 2 mins with no human contact stating “we’re sorry for the delay the next available agent will be with you shortly”... I wanted to know where my dispute with Diversified Collections on behalf of AT&T. I canceled AT&T UVerse within a matter of a week and go back to our DirecTV (keeping in mind this was during the merging of the two companies). AT&T sent me a $700 plus bill for that 2 weeks and I said absolutely not! We were not happy with UVerse. And even though I sent AT&T all of their equipment back and took pictures on my phone of each piece, they’re still saying they never received it! Diversified had to be removed from my public records for several years before I even knew it and couldn’t even say who or what they were collecting for!?

What’s my main complaint is the reporting systems themselves and bottom feeders such as Diversified buying up debt. They can’t even tell the consumer who what when and they’re just slapping suits against we the little people who can’t fight for themselves and doesn’t even know what they’re collecting for! I’m working so hard to fix my credit and instead am getting worse and worse down go my credit points. Unfair! And now Equifax wants you to “pay them” to keep a better watch on our credit for a mere $19.99 a month and so is Experian!? That’s their job to monitor your credit and now want to get paid more for doing their job?! I’m sorry but I’m so confused.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I signed up for a $1.00 trail of credit monitoring from Experian for 7 days. If you cancel within the 7 days there are supposed to be no further charges. I signed up on 10/16/17 and cancelled 10/19/17. Experian charged my credit card $23.32 on 10/28/17. I have filed through my bank for credit as I do have my cancellation confirmation number. Either their customer service is horrible, their systems are really antiquated and don't work or they are completely dishonest. Mistakes can happen with any company I understand, however I don't believe that is the case with the number of complaints for the exact same problem I see here. We let these people monitor our credit? Scary!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Received an email from what I thought to be Experian. Offering me to check my credit rating to make sure of no fraudulent activity. Suggested I check my score which I did for $1. Did not realize the $1 fee signed me up for monthly credit monitoring. Said I had "7" days FREE trial membership. As soon as I realized I was signed up for monthly fees, I called the number of 855-962-6943 to cancel. Got a recording stating wait time would be 1 hour, 45 minutes. While I left that phone on hold, I called another number I found of 866-617-1894 (supposedly c/s) they would only tell me that I had to call the 1st number to cancel or go directly to their website of support@e.usa.experian.com (which was not legitimate). I immediately cancelled my credit card. There should be a law against companies pulling these scams.

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.experian.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use