Experian

96%

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1,805people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Experian:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I also agreed to pay the $1 trial fee but immediately cancelled the trial. They did not cancel my account. Instead they charged my account without consent, stole $21.95 and proceeded to tell me they will not refund the money. I have filed a dispute with my bank and it's pending currently. Do not sign up for this. They will charge you either way and will not refund the money without significant effort. I will update my review once I receive the results of the dispute. Experian is a scam. They only wish to steal your money.

I'm very upset with Experian. You can't advertise that you offer "Free Credit Reports" and then charge people $21.95 monthly because they didn't read the fine print. I called after I realized I had been debited and they told me that they are not able to refund my payments because I "did not cancel my membership soon enough." ** joke. Experian will never get my business again and I will be sure to share this news with anybody who is considering using your service. Have a horrible day and I hope you enjoy that money.

Like everyone else here, I fell for the "free report" lie that Experian turns into a monthly fee for providing absolutely no further service of any value whatsoever. Unfortunately I didn't catch it for a couple months, and then when I did I immediate contacted them through their site which resulted in an email exchange where their representative asked for more information and then failed to respond when I sent it to them. Finally after multiple tries the email address started bouncing and I found a phone number to call. After being on hold for quite some time someone finally took my information and closed my account. Unfortunately, they managed to hit my account 4 times with the 21.95 charge before that point.

I've dealt with services that try to pull this kind of scam before, but this one was especially devious in concealing that it was a service at all by misrepresenting it as a "free report" when in fact this is more like trial. Obviously the reason they lied about this upfront is because no one in their right mind would sign up for a "trial" when all they want is a one time report. I never was informed that there was an ongoing service involved and the first time I saw the "price" for this "service" was when the charge had already hit my account more than once. This is extremely shady and definitely borders on being criminal activity.

Don't use this service. They charge you more than what is stated. I was charged $40 the first week and then charged another 21.95 the very next week. They do not make it clear on the website about charges more than a dollar and it is not clear that you are signing up for a service. When you call to get your money refunded it doesn't seem anyone can refund any money.

I signed up for a 1 dollar for a free trial to see my credit report then all of sudden started seeing 40 payments taken out of my account that I was not aware of. Beware of this company. I wish I would of seen the reviews about this place.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Recently saw an ad that you could see your credit score for free from Experian by going to Experian.com/free, so I went and yep they let you in and you can see part of your record. But the score they keep hidden and say if you want to see the score you have to pay $4.95 per month... What!!! They should be slammed by a lawsuit for lying to the public. Without us they wouldn't even have a business. What a sad, pathetic company. Well we do need your score. I went to credit karma and they are truly free, not low life forms trying to lure you into their trap to get money out of you. Shame on you Experian. You are not a good company. I believe in Karma and you'll get your up comings.

I have just endured the worst 2 hours of my life. I have tried every contact info I can find to try to correct an error in your database regarding my birthdate. Macy's Dept Store denied me a credit card because they "cannot verify my birthdate" and they cite you as the reporting agency. Someone obviously made a data entry mistake. I would like to fix that. After multiple phone calls (to both the office in CA and several 800#s) and attempts to use many online features, I cannot get resolution. A nice fellow (David) at the 714 area code tried and was very nice while I was freaking out and yelling at him, but all he could do was transfer me (yet again) to another desk who never answered. The receptionist did this twice. I began to believe that this is how you deal with irate customers. Shame on you.

This is Experian's mistake, not mine, and your employees are either poorly trained or understaffed that customers must listen to that insipid music for 15-20 minutes – at a time. I should not have to attempt my call later, when I'll experience the same frustrating outcome. I fully plan to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau and my local newspaper, Twitter account, and Facebook to let everyone know that the all powerful Experian is worse than any of the politicians we have running for office. How in the world did we allow credit reporting agencies to tie up our lives because of a stupid entry error. Mine is just a dept store credit card, but it's the principle of the consumer being held hostage to a system that cares not whether its information is correct. Bah

I recently registered with Experian and created an account to check my credit report. I wanted to see if my credit had been compromised so I purchased what I thought was $1.00 opportunity to see additional information on my account. Today I was charged $21.95 for "CreditWorks," a service that I did not intend to purchase. As soon as I saw the charge I contacted Experian and complained about the charge and to cancel any future charges. Although they cancelled the subscription they refused to refund the $21.95 because the charge was in their words "valid."

I was given an email address to submit a request to the billing department for a refund which was answered with a quick denial. After my initial purchase of $1.00, I was never sent an email confirming my enrollment in any ongoing credit reporting with a monthly charge of $21.95. Also, I had to do a Google search in order to find a contact number to cancel the subscription as this information is no way illuminated on the Experian website. Experian plasters the word "free" all over its website yet it plays hide the ball when it comes to the specifics of this paid program.

The entire experience felt like a scam and an extreme case of "bait and switch." Although there are other companies offering free credit reports, I choose to use Experian because of the perceived trust that their name carries in the marketplace. Instead of being honest brokers they use their brand to take advantage of people who are using their product to resolve credit issues, not create new ones. Then, when they are confronted about their actions, they then hide behind technicalities in order to profit from as many unsuspecting customers as they can.

I was surprised to find out that I was billed this past month $24 for a service I hadn't heard of. When I looked into the merchant I vaguely recalled their name, and then remembered I had made an account with them for a credit report, supposed to cost just one dollar. I never received a bill from them in my email, physical mail, or any sort of notice. I had no idea they had "upgraded" my account in just 7 days to start charging me for a service I never used. They prey on unsuspecting consumers to trick them into taking their money without their knowledge. Stay away from this company if at all possible.

I have found Experian 'carrot' for a $1 credit report to be very misleading. If you get the standard 3 reports it will cost $39.95. The grayed out small print on the initial order page also helps hide the fact that you will start seeing a $21.95 bill every month for nothing. To make it worse, no email notice is given to indicate the billing is to begin. You'll probably catch this after a couple of months but don't expect Experian to cancel and refund the unwanted billing. They'll give you one month refund for catching the ploy, the rest is on you for being a sucker at taking the $1 deal.

The standard complaint here -- their "free" credit report allegedly requires a $1 "token" payment to process, which they then use to bill you $21.95 predicated on the lie that "You didn't opt out of 'joining' in time." This is the very definition of fraudulent business practices, a scam. Their "report" was borderline worthless, and only calling and demanding a supervisor and then demanding they refund my money got any results. Allegedly. I haven't seen the refund in my accounts yet, but I am watching for it. AVOID EXPERIAN.

Yes, like everyone else I checked my credit for $1 during a home buying process. Then Experian came along and charged me $21.95 after I didn't "cancel" in time. I called less than 48 hours into the "billing period" but there is no prorated option etc. they just take your money. Another business model built on predatory practices and hoping that consumers don't regularly check their bank statements. AMAZING that the major credit agencies are allowed to operate this way. Why would I pay a borderline fraudulent entity to monitor my credit for fraud?

Were it possible, I'd give them negative stars. I'd give them black holes for their treatment. Not only are they dishonest, they have a business model built on tricking people into their service. You're entitled to a free credit check over 6 months, but they charge you $1 to get it. They just never mention that doing so enrolls you in an 8 day free trial of some service that if you don't cancel, will now result in you being charged monthly. The only reason I came to them was their advertising that they don't charge you for that credit check. Not only, but I examined the documentation. There was nowhere that it said anything about a trial that you needed to cancel. It is a dishonest business model that relies on people not immediately noticing the money they're stealing out of their bank accounts monthly.

When you call them to dispute it, their defense is basically that you didn't read the fine print and that they're well within their rights to keep their ill-gotten gains. This is precisely the sort of thing the CFPB was created for and it wouldn't surprise me if this is the sort of country that lobbied congress critters and fought against having to have clearer disclosure on their practices.

I checked my Experian credit for $1. They kept billing me 21 per month and made my account negative. They are tricking and cheating people out of money. One should be able to check their credit without tricks, scams or hidden fees. They are refusing to refund the 4 months of my membership even though I only needed to find my credit score and no longer needed their services. They are preying upon seniors who do not have the additional monthly income to afford this service. I am retired and on a fixed income that allows me to purchase only the necessities and my medication. How can I go about having my money refunded? This is falsely helping people with their credit and instead making it more difficult to get by. I feel cheated.

Like so many others, I did the $1 thing and got screwed. One main point I would like to add is this: when you go to their website even now, the entire screen lights up with brightly colored blue and gold colors and offers all over the place saying to get your score and your report... and then in teeny tiny print hidden in the corner it says that you have to opt out if you don't want the recurring charge? This is a terrible way for a national company to operate. I called customer service - no help.

One point I made is that I never logged back in; never used them again to get my score or check my report. So they know for a fact that I never used them and yet they won't refund. I recently signed up for e-statements from my insurance company which would save them money. Even to do this, I had to reply to an email from them confirming that 'yes' I definitely wanted to do this. And here you have a company that sneaks in a charge and they hide it within your stated desire to get your FICO score. Very deceptive and very distasteful.

Worst thing to happen to anyone. This company is really rip you off and trained people ready to take your answer as soon as you say "cancel my service". They will make you say this till they get $21.95 + tax on your card and when you ask for refund trust me all agents are trained in such a way till you pay them for a mistake which you never made. Stay away from them. God bless them my $23.31.

I subscribed to Experian for their monthly report and score several years ago. Signed up for basic service (Experian report and score only) which gave me the option to get all 3 reports for extra charge each month. Two weeks ago I received an e-mail from Experian telling me they had improved the service by giving me all 3 reports once each quarter for $10.00 more per month. I did not want this service, but could find no way to opt out. Called customer service and went through 3 or 4 different reps. Best they could do was offer temporary rate but would still include new service. Unable to tell me what I would pay after temporary rate expired. I hung up very angry. Expressed my dissatisfaction on Experian survey about customer service. Finally got call from Stacey at Experian. She assured me that I could opt out, so I did.

Received monthly report from Experian a few days later. My score had dropped 22 points. Been running 832 for all the time I have been a member. Called to question this drop. Everything on my report was the same as always. No one could come up with plausible explanation. No one seemed to care. Accused them of pure vindictiveness. They denied this. I have given them until 8 August to explain, or I will cancel my membership. They don't care.

The lack of accountability in this industry NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED! I e-mailed Elizabeth Warren about the huge effect these scores have on individual lives (all aspects). I suggested that at a minimum these companies should notify me 30 days prior to entering any negative info in my report and give me 30 days to respond. THESE GUYS NEED SOME STRICT OVERSIGHT. I'm an old guy and don't owe anybody much money. I have a credit card which I pay off each month. Only other debt is mortgage, which will be paid off next year. They tell me this is hurting my score, and (Heaven forbid) if I finally get to the point where everything is paid off my score will be worse than if I wasn't paying any bills. THIS IS NOT RIGHT! It's certainly not the way I was brought up.

Like others I paid $1.00 to view my credit score. It does not say you are signing up for a free seven day trial and that you will be charged $21.95 per month for this service. I was charged the $21.95 twice on the same day. When I called Experian they said one charge will drop off because it is just an authorization charge. I have no idea what this means but this was their explanation. I informed them that I did not want their service and to not charge my credit card again. I had to ask for an authorization number to confirm any subscriptions were cancelled. They do not offer this number unless you ask for it. Transunion does the same thing so be careful. Right now I am out $60.00 to these companies.

I've notified my bank about these charges however they cannot remove them. I can submit a dispute after the charges clear. Right now they're showing up as pending. At no time did I receive any type of email or correspondence from either company stating I had subscribed to their services. I was able to cancel both subscriptions with Transunion and Experian after I called them. I think this is a scam and should be investigated since it is happening to a lot of people. Experian's number is: 866-751-1326. Transunion's number is: 800-493-3292. Be prepared to be sent to different representatives when you call either one of these companies. They also have long hold times.

It all started the day my wife and I found a used car online for my son to drive to college. We don't have a lot of money to pay cash and so we wanted to get a car loan but did not know our credit rating. Now most people have said that the credit agency's give out one free credit report a year. We just happen to find the website listing credit report for 1 dollar and thought we could do this, not a problem. Well it turned out to be a problem and a very big problem when I looked at my bank statement and saw the 21.95 deducted from my bank account.

I called the number and talked to the representative and complained about the website not making it noticeable of the agreement. The most important information is hidden to the eye and full of deceit to the innocent consumer who like you and me are trying very hard to get by in this world. Anyway I called the number and asked where on earth is this place. Well it turns out to be in the Philippines somewhere. I kinda thought immediately that getting my money back was pretty much a lost asset. The 7-day period trial offer I later found out was overdue by the time the bank reported it when withdrawn from my account. It was too late and I feel taken advantage of in a bad way mentally. It's almost a form of being abused by a scam to the individual. They entice you to believing a good and honest deal and then later your self personal worth is hurt.

I signed up for the $1 credit report after reading the fine print that states "member has 7 days to cancel membership; otherwise $21.95 will be charged to the card on file". I canceled my membership IMMEDIATELY (this was June 16, 2016), got online confirmation that it was canceled, only to see on June 23, 2016, my CC had been charged for $21.95. I signed in and yet again opted to "cancel membership" and got online confirmation that my acct was canceled; however, I never received an email to that effect. So here we are, in July, and what do you know... yet another charge for $21.95.

I called "customer service" and I use that term VERY loosely, spoke with "Liza" who informed me that apparently there was some glitch in their system in June so my membership was never actually canceled (are you kidding me?), then proceeds to tell me that since the charge has already been posted to my CC for July, they can't process a refund because the charge is "valid". The most annoying part of it all is that no matter how much I stressed to her that I had canceled the membership TWICE already, she continued to tell me that there was no record of that. She was gracious enough to offer to cancel it for me by telephone, effective today, but again sorry, no refund possible. The irony is that WHILE I'm on the phone with her, I received an email confirming cancellation of my membership. What a mess! My suggestion is if you are going to track/monitor your credit score, use ANY other source but Experian.

I checked my Experian credit for $1. They kept billing me 21 per month and made my account negative. They are tricking and cheating people out of money. One should be able to check their credit without tricks, scams or hidden fees. They ended my account but my checking was negative for weeks and with bank charges it ended up being $100 for a $1 credit check. I am disable and retired. On a fixed income! This is FRAUD plain and simple!!!

Like all the reviews that now I see, I fell for the $1 trap to see my credit scores. There was no mention of anything renewing monthly after this time, though they claim it to be in the Terms and Conditions that absolutely no one reads because it would take hours and you still wouldn't understand the legal garbage. Calling does no good as there are no refunds because they quote that little box you check. There was no email that I received telling me I needed to call anyone to cancel anything, nor are any numbers clearly provided for this. This place is a scam! Don't do it! Don't give them a dime!

This company should not be allowed to be a business. They say $1 free trial but never give you a date of the trial. A couple of weeks later you will be billed $25 even if you never used their website. Oh and you then have to call an 800#, wait on hold forever to find out you can't get your $25 back even if you never used their website.

I currently possess both a mobil gas credit card as well as a citgo gas card, but for some strange reason I received a letter of denial for a Shell card I never applied for. Experian's letter was uncalled as well as unsolicited and I would prefer they never contact me under any circumstances which I made clear to them in no uncertain terms.

I would have never in a million years expected a reputable company like Experian to stoop sooo low to sneak these charges from people... classic bait and switch. They got me for 2 months. The irony is that you trust them with your personal information, and they are the ones backstabbing you by billing you this damn charge. Enjoy your $42 dollars you got from me to help pay the mortgages of your execs.

I initially paid $1.00 for a credit report from Experian without realizing that in only 7 days they would turn around and charge me $21.95! That is exactly 21.95 times more than the initial charge for the report! Their customer service is horrible. There is absolutely no getting around them refunding you the money they took without authorization! I think this is due to their stock prices falling, and this is a scheme to rob people of their money. TransUnion did something similar, but they graciously refunded the money back while only charging me the initial $9.95. That is called honesty. They know it's a consumer trap, and they are willing to deal with those who actually call them out on it.

During my customer service call to Experian the woman I was talking to name "Casey" who said she was based in the Philippines tried to deceive me when I asked to talk to a supervisor. She waited 5 minutes and then came back to the phone acting as if she were the supervisor. I confronted her that I knew she was the same woman who I had previously talked to. To top it all off, immediately upon canceling my account my FICO score decreased by 23 points for NO reason. Here's the strange part - my FICO score had INCREASED by 9 points only 6 days prior! Someone needs to investigate this. I am attaching proof of everything.

Of course, like everyone else I paid the $1 to see my report and I don't remember seeing that they would charge my card $30 dollars! Didn't know I was signing up for a membership. I just wanted to get a print out of my score! Experian is trash and such a scam it's ridiculous! The people are rude and I want my freakin money!

I've used Experian several times over the years to keep watch on my credit and this was my first bad experience with them. Unfortunately, it was made worse by an inept customer service group. After doing my bi-annual due diligence to check my credit scores and promptly cancelling the Experian temporary service to do so, I was fraudulently billed a monthly fee by Experian (despite terms and conditions that said otherwise). I disputed the amount and they have refused to refund my money - despite written confirmation of cancellation.

When I first contacted Experian, they could not find an account. It took several emails for them to find it and after twice confirming cancellation in time to avoid the $21.95 fee, they advised I still owed them. Now, I get to work with my credit card company to dispute. It's a small amount, but it's still wrong. Note: I did not receive a receipt or notification of charge before my credit card was charged for the $1 temporary fee or the $21.95 fee.

Like several other posters here, I tried to check my credit report and my husbands for like $1. When you click on that, they start charging you $19.95 a month indefinitely. I agree that it is my failure to cancel in a timely manner. When I got the charge one month, fine and then the second month, I was like ok, I ordered it for my husband. I was super busy but finally checked the charges in detail today and called to cancel my membership. It doesn't appear that the first agent cancelled it. The membership starts on the 15th and today is the 16th and they won't even refund that. I am very angry. I asked what I was getting for this money and they couldn't even explain it. I went to the account and there was nothing there but the credit score that I thought was $1 or cheap. Even a one time 19.95 would be fine.

I am now calling my credit card company to not pay the extra charge. Beware. They have no middle ground like splitting the difference or even cancelling the last month 1 day late. They keep repeating like a robot "sorry, it is not refundable and you failed to cancel." What did I get for this money? Nada. Please beware and use another service like Equifax instead.

I so regret not reading the customer reviews before using Experian to check my credit report. I learnt it the hard way. Heights of false advertising. They lure you by saying that they charge only a dollar for the credit report which is NOT true. Don't fall for it. I realized the mistake I made after checking my credit card bill. My card was charged $21.95 every month for an idiotic credit report that I NEVER requested for. Apparently, I have signed up for this senseless monthly credit report thingy which by the way I never received.

Let's just assume that I signed up for their ** membership, shouldn't I be receiving any welcome email or saying that my credit report is ready or something... FYI, there was NOT even a single email from them. It's apparent that they are here only to CHEAT people. There is no use calling the customer service... they're rude. They don't have any info and more importantly, they will not refund your money. I suggest everyone NOT to use Experian. There are better ways to find your credit score like Credit Karma, Equifax... etc.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.
  • Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.
  • Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.
  • Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.
  • 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.
  • Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.
  • Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Compare Credit Report Sites