2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

BOTTOM LINE

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

PROS

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

CONS

• No in-person service

Top Experian Reviews We Found

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be what you want but the fact that they have completed my disputes way faster than what was expected makes me extremely happy

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to use, more reliable, credit information is updated faster than the other two bureaus. I have never been dissatisfied with

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
    • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
    • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
    • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
    • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
    • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
    • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
    • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
    Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
    Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
    Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
    Is Experian really free?
    Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
    What credit score does Experian use?
    Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
    What is a good Experian credit score?
    Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

Original review: May 9, 2020

I receive monthly updates on my credit and I receive alerts on my credit/debit cards for uncommon activities. I am very happy with the continued monitoring of my accounts as well as the assurance of protection against fraudulent charges.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

At a point in time I was at my low moment. I had a really low score and I could not get a loan to support my falling business. I was able to remove my inquiries as I got help. You can also boost your score. I reached Darkcracker at protonmail, dude is good.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have been doing business with this brand for at least eight (8) years. I am completely satisfied and feel they are a trustworthy company. They offer all items that I require and they are much better priced than most others. I will continue doing business with them as long as they maintain their integrity and great pricing.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Experian IdentityWorks offers you with a wide variety of features when it comes to identity theft protection. They offers you with credit monitoring, Dark Web Surveillance, identity theft surveillance and alerts, social security number monitoring, the 3 bureaus monitoring, changes of address, FICO scores, even with the sex offender registry, lots of benefits other companies doesn’t have. They brings you information from the 3 bureau’s plus unique benefits like the ability to lock and unlock your Experian credit file with their Experian CreditLock feature and information about your FICO Score, two very important things that the competition doesn’t offer, reason I’m their customer.

Original review: June 3, 2020

It's amazing how fraudulent Experian is. They hold the power to people's creditworthiness and they themselves are fraudulent! I had one of their free accounts and out of the blue they started charging me $24.99 per month. Attempted to call them directly are thwarted by their phone system. I have not been able to contact them directly. I declined the charges directly with my credit card company. This has happened 3 times now! One charge in April then 2 in June. I have never signed up for their services. I feel this company should be investigated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: June 3, 2020

Experian used to be a good resource ten years ago. Now I cannot even log into my account. Tried everything their menu said to do- Nothing works! Contacted tech support by email. Nothing they said works! My unemployment benefits say they have to verify my identity thru Experian- good luck with that! I can’t even do that! They hijack all your Most personal info and don’t even let you contact them? NO ONE LIVE reachable by phone or email! What??? This is a terrible company and should be shut down ASAP! They care NOTHING for the consumer! But they can throw costly ads around on TV like everything!? Creeps! Shut them down ASAP!

Original review: May 17, 2020

Due to identity theft, I attempted to freeze my credit report. Equifax & Transunion were both free and quick. However Experian rigged their website to funnel you into an upgrade to their premium plan which charges a premium. I Googled credit freeze for Experian. Found the free link (required by law) but the website was buggy and locked up. Experian now requires me to snail mail my private information including ss# and copy of driver's license to their office in Texas. Is that a secure way to protect your private information? This company is a venal joke.

Original review: May 15, 2020

The worst credit app ever. You can not use the link provided in the emails they send because each time you will have to reset your password. Even if you have the right security question answers you will be locked out of your account. What purpose is an app if you can't also view it in an online platform too. The only good thing is I tried the free membership before deciding if paying for it. Not worth even the free membership. Too much of a headache.

Original review: May 15, 2020

My wife sent letters dated 5/23/2019 and 6/12/2019 asking Experian, "Please cancel my membership." Experian did not cancel the membership, then charged my wife for another year of credit monitoring in 03/2020. On 5/14/2020, at 479-343-6237, the telephone agent at Experian said at 6:50 PM PST that my wife would receive an email confirming the cancellation of credit monitoring "within five or ten minutes." It is now 7:50 PM PST, and she has received no email after a full hour of waiting. Every time my wife and I apply for credit for a large purchase, the other credit agencies, such as Equifax, always cooperate in providing our credit ratings to the seller of the large-ticket product. Experian never does.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Wish you could leave zero stars since they have zero customer service. There is NO WAY to speak to a human!! I want to remove the credit freeze I put on and cannot and there is no way to speak to human. They are requesting I mail a letter, that helps not all when you want something that's on sale for 24 hours. I am unable to buy what I wanted and it's because of Experian! I am livid.

Experian Company Information