Experian

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

If could give ZERO stars on this review I would have! Due to the Equifax breach it has been advised by many experts to freeze one's credit with the three major credit bureaus. It has been a couple days now and I can't submit the freeze online with Experian. I've tried several times and it keeps informing me that they were not able to process my request. I then tried to search for a contact number on the website so I can speak to an agent and after searching high and low no contact number.

I finally Googled them and called a number where the agent told me they didn't handle freezes. She proceeded to give me another contact number which I tried a couple of times. Both times more than an hour on hold only to lead me to frustration and hanging up. I can't believe this a major credit bureau?? Very unprofessional and it seems they don't want to be called upon. I am now very scared that I filled out their questionnaire online with all my personal information and wondering where that might be. The previous poor reviews that I read here about their lack of customer service and borderline scamming is not reassuring or comforting either!

I just noticed a monthly charge from Experian for some sort of account I did not know I had. They informed me that when I purchased a credit report for $4.99 some 9 months ago, I was automatically signed up for a monthly membership, which increased to $19.95 going forward. I received no notification of this recurring charge over that time period, so I had no idea it was happening until I reviewed my credit card statements line-by-line in the wake of the Equifax breach. What's more, my account was upgraded to premium in August, increasing the charge to $24.99. I never once accessed this account during this time period, and I certainly did not upgrade to premium. However, the representative informed me the account was being accessed several times per month. As I am not accessing it, clearly there is fraudulent activity, to which Experian was not only completely unsympathetic, but shockingly unconcerned.

I understand there's a chance I was tricked into the original monthly charge, but I would have at least expected them to work with me on the premium upgrade in August (for which I was also double-charged). Instead, I received some dismissed boiler-plate language about terms of service and was told to speak to my financial institution. A horrible experience from start to finish. I would firmly recommend that no one ever buy anything from them. Period.

With the breach at Equifax I decided to freeze my credit. Called Experian and the automated system charged me $10 to freeze which I understood, but did not give me a confirmation number or a PIN number for future unfreeze. They only stated they would mail me more information.

Went through the entire registration process, then learned Experian wants my CC number to charge me $10 for a credit block. Outrageous! I did not pay. They screw up and want me to pay for it? When my identity is fraudulently used, Experian will rue the day.

I know I'm not supposed to be complaining on this but I have been on hold for 2 hours. I am pissed off they are changing my acct for a membership. I only did the 1.00 for one time only but they keep charging me. I want this refunded because I made sure to notify them that this is a one time thing only. I want someone to call me ASAP **. I want this refunded and because this is y'all's fault. I also want my overdraft charges waived as well. I'm still on hold after 2 hours now. Please forward this to whoever handles complaints because I want this taken care of today ASAP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

$4.95 charged and paid for credit score. $19.95 subsequently charged, presumably for a membership. I did not intentionally start a membership. There was no confirmation of membership, membership number, or billing receipt provided by Experian. I cannot contact this company because they do not answer the phone. Why is this company permitted to stay in business?

Getting a credit freeze from Experian is almost impossible. I started at their webpage and read about all the services they would like to sign me up for and all the reasons getting a credit freeze would cause problems in the future. I ended up at their online freeze request page. They made me jump through all kinds of hoops and give them lots of information. This isn't going to be online afterall.

I am currently on two different phones, after numerous attempts at trying to reach a customer service representative. There is no way to cancel subscription without speak to a rep. So I called, and am still holding, it has been an hour and 24 minutes on one phone and 20 minutes on another phone. Does anyone know how to cancel the $30 Dollar subscription ??? Help!

As with others on this site, Experian is apparently scamming people by secretly posting a 24.95 fee on their credit cards for some ridiculous 'protection' service. As an educated finance person who works at a big bank, this is corporate greed at its very best. The marketing person Experian who came up with this scam is betting that folks forget to cancel this service to keep the fee charges coming. How disgusting is that psychology? There is no monthly confirmation of charges and no reminder to cancel... why would a thief tell you that? It's practically robotic. For others who have been scammed, please shout out your complaint. Maybe we can be heard if we collectively scream into Experian's CEO office in the sky.

This bureau is a robbery shop. Last month they increased my membership fee without notifying me so I called in to deactivate my account and requested a refund. The Experian agent refunded me and confirmed with me that I would not receive any future charges from Experian. But WTF they charged me AGAIN this month!! Then I called in again. It turned out the guy I spoke with last month never actually deactivated my account! I had to request a refund again but the lady who answered the call said I could only get a refund every 12 months! Since I was refunded last month I could not get a refund this month! WTF. It was NOT my fault to be charged again. It was the first Experian agent's fault! WHY did he LIE to me about deactivating my account?! Is this how Experian steal from customers?! I had to contact my bank to permanently block this robber Experian from charging my credit card!!

I was charged $1 for an Experian promotional item on February 9th, 2017. It was supposed it be a one-time charge--I certainly was not aware of signing up for a service with recurring billing. I thought it was a one-time charge. I was charged for the second time by Experian for CreditWise, this time for $24.99, on August 18th, 2017.

I got an email from Experian on July 3rd saying new benefits would be provided: "All this and more will be included for the new monthly price of $24.99/mo." I never noticed that email, and I did not receive anything in the mail saying there would be a charge. I had only signed up for a free membership, long before incurring the aforementioned $1 charge. It looks like because they had my credit card on file, they added a new service to my account without my knowledge. I have asked the new $24.99 charge to be refunded and was refused by Experian's customer service. This is a very unethical practice on Experian's part.

The credit rating services are a hoot. Even when you pay on time, pay extra, and never have an outstanding balance from month-to-month, the rating declines, as it did in my case. I have one installment loan and two credit cards. I always pay off my credit card balances every month. Both services use Experian to calculate scores for me and other customers. My rating went down even though I made two extra principal payments on my installment loan and paid off both of my credit cards. Now here's the interesting thing: The reasons given for why my score went down (which are very nebulous, by the way) differ completely on the two cards. By the way, the Experian rating from my bank was substantially lower than the one these credit cards are reporting to me. The credit rating industry is a joke, and it's a crime that consumers are unable to exempt themselves from the system.

I called Experian and canceled a 7-day free trial three days after I signed up. A week after I canceled they withdrew funds from my account. I called and was told that they forgot to process the cancellation and it would be 3 to 5 business days to receive a refund. I spoke to a supervisor who could only apologize and nothing more. Long story short; I called Experian three times for them to cancel my membership. Apparently you need to cancel the monitoring and the membership or else they will keep billing you. Very deceptive practices. Make sure you get a cancellation email or keep calling them until you do.

I have canceled the service repeatedly over the years, only to find they continue to bill me. To be fair I need to review my statements more closely or I could have identified this sooner... but calling to actually cancel is laborious. The hold music alone is nearly enough to make you want to hang up (roughly 10 second loop of bad jazz)... then they cancel, and are unable to give a transaction # for the cancellation... "we'll send you an email" but that email gives no details. I suspect I will have to call again in a month and likely get my credit card involved in the process.

I paid $1 dollar for a credit score report. I did not realize I signed up for a monthly service with recurring charges in the amount of $21. It is a very dishonest tactic to get people signing into their service plan. I think it's fraud as I am not sufficiently informed of the payments charges. I will NOT use and do NOT recommend this company's product.

Being able to receive 1 free report from Experian I was charge 21.95 d/t a charge place on my card. I cancelled the trail that day and was still billed. Experian SAID the fund would be refunded. Still waiting after 10 days. If they can rip you off how can you be sure they are reporting correctly on your CREDIT SCORES. DO YOUR JOB!!!

I've been using Experian for over a year to stay on top of my credit report/scores. My debit card was stolen and so they could not charge my account for two months. When I finally got my card (it took much longer than usual) I called them to reinstate my account. Instead of charging my account moving forward, they immediately charged my account for the last 2 months, and DIDN'T TELL ME THIS until after I gave them my payment information. They refused to refund my money and were incredibly rude. Am now disputing charges with my bank. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

I signed up for Experian 30-day promo for $ 1.00 for the first 30 days. I cancelled before the 30 days. They still charged me a normal monthly fee. Filing a complaint with the CFPB www.cfpb.gov. I signed up on June 10th and cancelled on July 8th, before the 30 days was up. I have copies of the emails from them with the dates on the emails. The cancellation letter states that I can still use the free basic services. Of course, I have viewed my credit since then because they say you can do that for free, in the cancellation letter. There has been nothing that popped up while I was on their site informing me that they would charge me for anything I have done or allowing me to authorize any charges.

Someone needs to do something about this company intentionally deceiving people. I too paid $1.00 for a credit report but instead they signed me up at $21.99 a month. I wasn’t even able to cancel my subscription without paying a $50 balance. My account was locked until I entered info to pay this bill. Someone really needs to put a stop to this.

I cannot believe these guys get away with what they do. Their website will not allow me to dispute online. I thought that maybe I needed a membership to dispute so I signed up online and paid the money. Still cannot dispute online. Called Experian and got sent around on a wild goose chase of transferring me to other people. I simply want to dispute something on my credit but they make it so difficult and damn near impossible that I have given up.

After getting "tricked" into thinking I was getting a free credit report, I immediately cancelled membership and they will not stop sending me spam/Marketing emails -- despite over 10 requests to remove me!!! Why is there no "unsubscribe" option at bottom of every junk email??? I think I know the answer -- that's how they make money, misleading about their products and then spamming the death out of you and selling your credit score to other spammers!

I signed for Experian to keep track of my credit score and to see if I can do anything to improve it ($9.97 per month). Turned out to be a vastly inaccurate and misleading score. First of all, if you want to get your credit score from the three agencies they will charge you extra $39 per report. Secondly, I kept receiving that my score is in very good/exceptional category. However, once I applied to a loan, they did a credit check and turned out that my Experian score was over 100 points off. Called the customer service, they gave me the whole speech that scores can be calculated differently, and algorithms and such. Personally, I do not care, I signed for the service expecting to get a good estimate of my score, after all Experian is one of the scores on the credit report. If I cannot get a good estimate then I do not see the point of having this service.

Experian has a promotion to purchase a credit report for $1.00 but, in the deceptive (small print), they will really charge you $24-$26 monthly... forever! Even when I try to cancel the charge (I've tried for over a year) they will not stop charging my card. I've changed card numbers, twice, and received a different account number but the charges keep coming. I try to call, each month, and the outcome is never satisfactory... to cancel the monthly charge. My credit card company says Experian needs to stop charges but they have every excuse, including long waits and call disconnects, that keep the charges coming. It's a huge time waster and very upsetting to see the month after month charges and to know I will have to take more time trying to get it taken off.

I've contacted ** and filed a complaint with a government agency. Experian has been deceptive, greedy and dishonest in many regards. They seem to think they are above ethical practices. Please don't end up like me and so many others. Don't buy anything from Experian. You can get a free credit report... working through other sources. Investigate the deception and crimes, even the lawsuits, charged against these credit reporting agencies. They can do anything they want and get away with it. Please stop buying from them and they will be forced to stop deceiving the public.

While in middle of disputing inaccurate items on my report, was suddenly signed out. When attempted to get back in was given message could not process my request at this time. I spent a lot of time reviewing and detailing why information not correct. I feel it was an attempt to get me to purchase membership. There were numerous reporting errors. I have not been able to sign back in to get resolved. For credit reports to be used in life altering decisions, it should be a crime to reflect such unreliable content. It is very alarming, I bet if the power to sue over wrong info was allowed they would be a lot more careful with the content. The credit reporting industry is such a fraud, a mere money making scam!

Using free credit report for my daughter. She wanted to know her score so I paid the $1 to find out. Experian then put me on a recurring charge for 21.95!!! I did not request it! I have to assume they did their best to hide that a subscription was involved. I usually look for this kind of deception, but did not see it. It was not until I saw my bill that I had any clue. Experian was willing to cancel the membership, but would not discuss reimbursing the membership I had no intent to sign up for or use.

We signed up for a Credit Report (2 accounts) on Experian which was $1.09 each one. On May 17, 2017, we printed out the reports, on June 14, 2017 Experian charged our account for $23.90 twice = $47.80. On June 28, 2017 Experian Charged our account again for the same amount ($47.80) for a total of $95.60. When we call the customer service we waited for 1 hour and then they hang up on us 2 times and the 3rd rep after 30 minutes says they can only refund the last month. Please if you are reading this don't use Experian.

I was under the impression that I was only paying one dollar to see my credit score one time. I was then charged a $22 monthly payment a few days later for creating an account with Experian. They did a good job of hiding that information on all of their web pages. The advertisement stated that I would receive my credit score for one dollar. After being charged the $22, I found a statement at the bottom of the web page in fine print explaining this clause. When I called to ask them about the charge, I was given the runaround. I then requested to speak with a supervisor, and was promptly hung up on. I called back and eventually contacted a supervisor who told me the best they could do was cancel my account for free without a refund.This is shady business work in my opinion and wouldn't recommend working with Experian unless you want to be overcharged for their services.

I paid a dollar to get a free credit report on freecreditreport.com. I had no idea that I was going to be signed up for a monthly membership where they would be charging me. After I paid the $1 then I never got an email from freecreditreport.com. Instead I began getting emails from Experian but I thought they were spam because I never went to the Experian site and never signed up for newsletters from Experian. I never used the service, I was never sent an email welcoming me to a monthly charge service, there was no warning that I would be charged at all. I was signed up from January until June being charged $21.95 each month. My husband and I moved across country and missed this charge for whatever reason.

When I called they would only refund me "as a courtesy" one month of $21.95. I waited more than 30 minutes to speak with a supervisor and she argued with me saying that I paid the $1 and should have seen that I was enrolling in a monthly program. Honestly I thought that it was an "option" not something automatic but would never have gone through with the $1 if I had known. I did not want the monthly program, I did not request the monthly program, and I never used the program that they offered.

They said that it's not their problem that I never used the membership... The problem is that I never knew I had a program to use because I never requested, wanted, or signed up for the membership... So I never knew I had a membership to use. The "supervisor" decided to continue to argue with me. It was the worst customer service that I have ever experienced. This business model is highly unethical and the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. This company is basically stealing people's money by signing them up for something they never wanted or asked for.

They only refunded me $21.95 and would not budge on the rest of the money. I tried calling again but they would not budge. The people who take the calls are very well trained and have no real heart. They basically told me that it was all my fault. This company chooses to not be transparent intentionally because if they had just sent me an email saying that I was not going to be billed monthly I would have called to cancel... But that is the way they make all of their money. I guess I've been gotten by a truly rotten company.

$19.99 just to look at a score given to my creditors almost daily? Really?! Account canceled. More spam emails from Experian inviting me back to view my score once again. I pay $4.95 to see it once and bingo, I'm back on the $19.99/mo. plan again?! Don't forget to read the small print! It all boils down to one thing, way too much money for a product that is paid for by my creditors. It should be free to see what others are doing to track your every move behind your back. In fact there ought to be a law that requires Experian and the others to send every person they track a duplicate, containing your credit score, for every credit report it issues to creditors. BTW, my credit score is in the low 800's, high 700's so I'm not a bum. Just angry that banks and their allies are so damn greedy and ruthless.

Wow tricked by Experian, I just noticed that they have been charging me $24.99 per month for a "membership" I did not sign up for. The response was to credit one month, it has been 9 months, I see the same complaints come in... Why hasn’t anything been done? Class action…etc.?

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.
  • Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.
  • Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.
  • Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.
  • 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.
  • Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.
  • Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Compare Credit Report Sites