2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

BOTTOM LINE

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

PROS

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

CONS

• No in-person service

Top Experian Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be what you want but the fact that they have completed my disputes way faster than what was expected makes me extremely happy

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to use, more reliable, credit information is updated faster than the other two bureaus. I have never been dissatisfied with

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
    • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
    • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
    • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
    • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
    • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
    • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
    • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
    Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
    Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
    Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
    Is Experian really free?
    Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
    What credit score does Experian use?
    Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
    What is a good Experian credit score?
    Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

They monitor my credit cards and I saw a 248.00 charge from a gas station in Italy. It wasn't me. They took care of filing the fraud report after I told them it was fraud. They show me regularly ups and downs in my credit cards. What's missing is not showing changes in bank accounts. If I withdraw 5000.00 there is no mention of it. I have had my private info stolen from my work place, my utility bill, and a card scanned at Macy's by a deceptive young woman, which ended up spending money in NYC. Again not me. I would like to be notified when bank accounts are used.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Experian been great to monitor all my accounts. It tracks dark web driver license, medical id, ssn, emails, passwords. You have all in one account and the best thing is I got the membership for free. Also you link your bank account and credit cards.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

At a point in time I was at my low moment. I had a really low score and I could not get a loan to support my falling business. I was able to remove my inquiries as I got help. You can also boost your score. I reached Darkcracker at protonmail, dude is good.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have been doing business with this brand for at least eight (8) years. I am completely satisfied and feel they are a trustworthy company. They offer all items that I require and they are much better priced than most others. I will continue doing business with them as long as they maintain their integrity and great pricing.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Experian IdentityWorks offers you with a wide variety of features when it comes to identity theft protection. They offers you with credit monitoring, Dark Web Surveillance, identity theft surveillance and alerts, social security number monitoring, the 3 bureaus monitoring, changes of address, FICO scores, even with the sex offender registry, lots of benefits other companies doesn’t have. They brings you information from the 3 bureau’s plus unique benefits like the ability to lock and unlock your Experian credit file with their Experian CreditLock feature and information about your FICO Score, two very important things that the competition doesn’t offer, reason I’m their customer.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Received notice this week that there was a data breach at Sam's Club where my husband and I have an account. Notice included a bunch of legalese and a 1 year membership to Experian with an Activation Code and and Engagement Number. Tried to sign up online but Activation Code was "invalid". Called Customer Service number provided by the same notice. Customer Service rep Debra hung up on me as I went to get my spouse on the phone for me to proceed. Rude!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

There is no way to contact Experian by phone. Never been late on a payment. I used my credit card for our hotel and before the payment was even due, Experian dropped my credit score 50 points which changed my rating from GOOD to fair.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Two credit agencies are reporting incorrect information to Experian and I have made numerous attempts via Experian to correct the false information that is being reported. I have supplied Experian with FACTUAL information on three occasion since April of this year, (2020). Experian claims they have contacted both companies who are providing the false, illegal information and despite my providing correct, factual information which can be verified Experian continues to allow the false information remain on my credit report. What that demonstrates is the gross incompetency of the people who work at Experian.

You have to be extremely stupid to not recognize factual information and continue to post false, fake, illegal information. This so called credit reporting agency should be closed down by the Feds. The morons of Experian have caused me harm in refusing to correct false information on my credit report. What a shame that some jerk is getting paid a huge salary to oversee a company that intentionally refuses to report facts instead of falsehoods.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Upon looking at my bank statement I see a charge from Experian. After going in circles trying to talk to a human was just as bad. Anyways they tried to tell me I signed up for a membership. I never signed up for any membership and they could not provide me with anything showing that I did including an email regarding the membership and the cost. Even after reading reviews I took my chances and this is what it got me. They say that they have fraud protection and they are the ones that we need to be protected from, horrible, horrible company and the robotic people that you talk to in no way can you understand them. Stay away and stay safe. Protect yourself from them.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Experian is a scam. They send random, useless alerts. You cannot contact the company through the website or email. If you call, you wait on hold for 20+ minutes to be told that you must call a different number which is automated and simply a tactic to sell you services. You are not able to speak to anyone about anything substantive. I was provided the "service" free as part of a class action settlement. It's free and more aggravation than it's worth.

Experian Company Information