3.5/5 (265 ratings)

About Experian

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

Pros

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

Cons

• No in-person service

Bottom Line

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

Top Experian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be w...

Verified

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to ...

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
  • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
  • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
  • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
  • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
  • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
  • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
  • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
Is Experian really free?
Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
What credit score does Experian use?
Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
What is a good Experian credit score?
Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: July 3, 2021

I like that they send you your Experian score every day and credit card offers. I use it to lock my credit. My only complaint is that you pay a monthly fee and if you want to look at all 3 you have to pay 3 times the monthly rate to do that, and they don't say if you click you will be charged. I think they should offer it for free at least 4 times a year.

Original review: July 2, 2021

When I signed up for Experian to see what was on my report, my credit score was at a 515 and I had quite a few negative items. After paying off some things and disputing items my score went up significantly. I was able to get approved for the suggested credit cards and within 60 days my score went up over 150 points and all negative items were successfully removed. Experian gives weekly updates on my credit usage and tips to keep my utilization down so I won’t make the same terrible mistakes I made previously. I will be purchasing my first home by September. I recommend Experian over the other credit sites since they give the most accurate ratings.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2021

It's a great app. I personally increase my score by 40 point in my first 3 month. You can optional Link your Bank account for better result. By doing that I have increase my score by 19 point along with my cellphone Bill on time payment every month. Do not be afraid. It's simple and safe. They will automatic scan your Bank account every month to help you increase your score and the best thing is that you can unlink the Bank account anytime.

Original review: June 27, 2021

The free version allows you to view your score, your credit card accounts with payment history, basically the full credit report. It will also do a dark web search to see if your details come up in any questionable sites. It will also send emails when your score changes, even by a point. Overall, a great way to see how your credit score changes over time. Only minus is that if need to update any of your details online, the process takes time and it might not yield any results. Better to do it the old-fashioned way, by calling.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Having simple access to my credit report 24/7 has been invaluable over the past 3 years since I have had to move twice. I have been able to put myself to the top of the pile of applications by providing a printed copy of my Experian report directly to the landlord/manager, without them having to pay a fee or use their time to retrieve it themselves. The emails Experian sends out helps you to easily learn about what is important to your credit score and the stats provided help you keep a close eye on your credit. I convinced a few others to sign up for their free account. If anything negative gets posted to your credit report, you are notified and can nip the problem in the bud. I am grateful for my Experian online account.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I got an alert that my daughter's SSN MAY be compromised. The email said I needed up upload my driver's license and birth cert of my daughter, and that I would be contacted within ONE BUSINESS DAY. THREE days later, with no contact, I call Experian. I'm told I'll be contacted in 24-72 hours... THREE days later, I re-call. I'm told again, I'll be contacted in 24-72 hours.

I call back in 3 days after no contact... They try again to push me off for 3 days and I insist to speak to the fraud department. I finally get there... and NO ONE IS AVAILABLE. I'm told by the receptionist I'll be contacted in... wait for it... 3 days. I finally to get AN EMAIL from a person stating she's my rep. I call her, she's not available, and her voice mail says she'll contact... in 3 days.

Finally, after 3 weeks. I get ahold of her. She states it's likely a typo/mistake... and that there is nothing Experian can do... and she'll send 'some emails' of what to do next if anything comes up of it. This is the worst experience ever. Do not use this company. They are in zero hurry to help you and when you finally do get someone on the line, they state they can't really do anything. I cancelled shortly after. I would not use Experian ID Works if it was FREE.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Dealing with Experian is an absolute nightmare. They don't update reports in your account. I paid off a collector debt 4 months ago; they sent the notice immediately to Experian, and 4 months later is still shown and affecting my credit score. Contacting Experian Customer Service is totally IMPOSSIBLE. A total nightmare. They should be out of business.

Original review: April 25, 2022

They gave wrong info to lender (this has been confirmed by another lender). Ruined my chances of getting trailer to save my therapy horses from wildland fires in Colorado. the bale is on them. The onus is on their backs. 5 forest fires in a week and no trailer with 698 credit and 30 yrs of credit history according to other.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I have had the Experian CreditWorks Plus membership for several months. I do not really know if it helped my credit in any way. This month it would not allow me to log in, they asked me to contact customer service (Computer Prompt). I proceeded to reset my password, then I reset my username. Failing that, I finally called customer service for help. THey verified my name, DOB, SSN, Address and one of my security questions. But, when I was unable to verify the second security question they could not help me. I could give them my current password and e-mail. Unfortunately, they did not or could not help me without the security question being verified. They had me listed as a member and had my bank account information, but could not help me. I gave up and canceled the service. Even though they would not help me log in to my account, they did cancel that same account within one minute of my asking.

If only they would have been helpful to actually get in to my account. When I attempted to reach out to their customer service team, i did not receive any opportunities to actually speak with someone, just prompt after prompt. I was finally able to find a place to write them a letter, but did not find any other opportunities. I do have an email that states, "Your membership cancellation is confirmed. You won't be charged any future fees, but you'll still have access to your membership benefits until the end of the current billing cycle." Which is pretty insulting because the reason I canceled - I cannot access my account. At this point, I would not recommend this service or product.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I’m so frustrated with the horrible experience with these people. They charge me 30$ a month just to try to sell me stuff. I’m so mad. My name is Monte **. I’ve been disputing child support with these guys for a year now and it’s still on my record and because of that even though I’ve tried to send pictures of the paid in full receipt and the letters from DSHS and they still won’t take it off and no one will give me credit or a rental. I’m so mad. I can’t even get a phone call from these people and I’ve given them over 600$. It’s them I should be disputing.

Do yourself a favor. Don’t listen to their garbage. Their boost is only With them not the other credit people and they don’t help you. They just rip you off. Go to Credit karma. Is someone that will help you out instead of rip you off and try to sell you everything that all this is is a way to make everyone give them money. You and the advertisers they should not be allowed to report people's credit. They should be taken off and I’m gonna do everything I can to try but you know how it is. They have too much money from ripping us off so the government won’t do anything about these people just like the help they give you nothing. DON'T PAY TO GET RIPPED OFF.

Experian Company Information