1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1488 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I am a 63 yo male and all in all my credit experience Experian has always been the worst for reporting information. It is unfortunate that large companies like AMEX even uses Experian. The Experian Credit report is the most unorganized and hardest to read. Experian reports erroneous consumer information and when you try to correct the information, it takes forever. The upload website at ** times out before you can finish writing and when I uploaded a 1.48 mb PDF it gave me an error saying it was limited to 5 mb. I did this 4 times and gave up. I call their phone and the automated prompt only allows for two selections and you really have to work at searching for a phone number to speak to a live person. When I finally call the number at 7:10 am CT. a recording says call back during business hours, but doesn't give you the business hours.

I personally consider all credit reporting agencies as Pimps. They sell your information and don't share a crumb of what they rake in. All we get is a free credit report once a year and that is only because it is a requirement of the state you live in. Everyone should report Experian to the BBB. Experian needs to step up their game or get out of the game. Shut it down!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This company has became a fraud!!! Seriously they have been charging my account $24.90 forever! I cannot log in into my account, cannot change password, no one answers to emails sent. Cannot close my account!!! Seriously, this company has to be handled on a Federal level. It is a fraud and this company is responsible to keep our financial score! Please help! I do not know how to get rid of this company and close my account. Horrible!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Your company stinks. My credit rating was dropped from nearly 790 to 770 over the last 5 days and: I have charged nothing, have made no purchases, have no card balances, have had zero changes. So I call to find out why because there is ZERO information on the site other than what was expected, i.e. no change in my profile. I will not verbalize or key in my SSN to a computer, you cannot get past it and the bleeping thing says goodbye and hangs up on you. I am reviewing your competitors since you obviously care nothing about long term customers. Good riddance.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Member for years. Not able to access account for 8 days. No answer at several numbers listed for customer support. Placed on hold three times for over 30 minutes each time. Techs could not solve sign in lock-out. Still no call back from Experian for 5 days.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I got my free credit report from Experian yesterday. I wanted the FICO credit scores included, so I paid $1 for the Experian CreditWorks Premium, which I supposedly could cancel EASILY within 7 days. I was please with the detail of the report, but cancelling CreditWorks Premium has taken over 2 1/2 hours. I had to go to WikiHow to find a phone number to cancel. The nice young lady told me it was cancelled and that I'd receive and email confirmation within 10 minutes. Two hours later no confirmation.

I called again. Got verbal confirmation that it was cancelled. She said it was sent to a different email but could not help me change in to the correct email. I got angry and asked to speak with the supervisor. Her supervisor told me the process was automated and he couldn't email me either. He gave me a case number that I can supposedly use to file a dispute if I receive a bill next month. Hopefully I won't. I will never never never use Experian for anything again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

After paying and paying for months for the product I had an issue. While speaking to a top supervisor in Experian she clearly admitted that this product is totally not accurate and you can't rely on it. But they still refused to refund the membership. When I told them this is unacceptable, they simply disconnected the phone and actually blocked me from calling in again. WE NEED TO START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Received an email. There will be a 1000% increase in membership fee (from $11 to $120) and I will have to call to cancel or my credit card will automatically be charged. I called the number I was given in the email to cancel and was on hold for 57 minutes before someone answered to tell me their department didn't handle that and they transferred the call in which I was on hold for one hour. Once connected it only took 5 minutes to complete the call. Almost 2 hours to complete a 5 minute task is unacceptable. Cancellation like enrolment should be available online.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I recently started receiving emails from this Experian company & wondered if my ProtectMyID plan currently have changed their name or something but I checked the member ID on Experian & was different from my ID on ProtectMyID plan I have had several yrs so I figured if the member # was fake then it was a scam. Then I was reading recent email from them before calling ProtectMyID to ask questions & noticed they said they sent 37 alerts to me in past month but I have not received any alerts actually so I figured it was a scam but will log on & call ProtectMyID after NY Day when they are open for current info/alerts on my plan & looked up last email from them & it was Dec 1 this year & nothing since.

So between the frequent emails past month & having the ‘37 alerts’ sent to me & my member ID being different I marked it as a scam but will also call my ProtectMyID plan next week to report this false activity to them! I only want to let honest people & companies how I investigate when something’s just not right & may save someone time & $$$!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Hi, I signed up for my wife account to check her credit score and I paid only $1.00 for FICO score and didn't sign up and remember signing up for any monthly paid service but this company charged me $21.95. My wife is new to credit and why would I run her monthly credit score. So, basically once you create a login and avail the $1.00 service by giving your credit card number which they say it free and then you will see monthly charges on your bank account until you cancel. A fraud company. Stay away please.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

After going through a tedious 20-minute phone Q&A I hear a recorded message saying, "Unable to process your request, please call back and try again." It seems to me a deliberate action to discourage people from filing their opt out.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I finally get someone on the line after an hour wait. She helps me, but notes I have to be transferred to dispute resolution to finish resolving the issue. I ask that she resolve my issue directly as I do not want to be on hold again. I am put on hold and after another hour wait, someone answers and says they are happy to take my callback information, but are closing for the night. Why even bother to leave me on hold.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

It boggles the mind that the government basically allows these nobodies to have access to OUR personal information, and then, as if adding insult to injury, these ** (Experian) DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE and only have limited options that 80% of the time do not pertain to why someone is calling in, and only serve to keep you going around in circles. Seriously. Someone PLEASE begin a class action suit because based on the precepts upon which most laws were written, this CANNOT be legal.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have been with Experian for several years with no problems and then I received an email from them advising me to review my alert. They even give me the link to my account which I did not need or use. I instead went to my login page for my account and tried to log in only to get a reply that my account had been lock due to multiple attempts even though I only tried to log in once. I then called the 800 number on my membership card and got a message that the wait time would be more than 1/2 hr so I waited but never got a rep. I disconnected and did some running for a friend and then tried to call back only to be advised the wait time would be over one hr. At this rate I will probably be dead by the time I get in contact with Experian on this ALERT.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I am currently disputing a $29.95 charge on my card for an Experian membership. I've never signed up for that! Called the automated service and CANNOT get through to anyone. The automated service even verified that I do not have a membership with them. I have looked all over for a different way to contact Experian and all phone numbers lead to the same automated system. There is no email address or chat option. You literally can't get to anyone. This company is so crooked it's amazing that they are in business and have access to all of our personal information. They are outright thieves. They need to go down - be out of business - be against the law.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I was offered to sign up for a FREE membership, but somehow they must've snuck in a checkbox somewhere and charged me 20$ a month for several months before I noticed, since the first time I was charged I thought a landlord was checking my credit report. I feel cheated out of my money and lied to. Furthermore, when I recently tried to downgrade to the free version of the membership (which was a hassle to find on their webpage in the first place), I found out I apparently have to *wait* to downgrade because my order has to be "submitted" first.

In other words, it seems I'm still signed up for the paid membership until the system decides they've bled me enough. It's taking ages for my "order" of a downgraded membership to be "processed" on the webpage. When I click the "stop charging me monthly" button, I want to KNOW that I won't be charged, and I want it to work RIGHT AWAY. We have the technology for that; Experian is just holding my credit card hostage at this point.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I was a victim of the Experian data breech resulting in my social security number, date of birth and address being released. My identity was stolen resulting in 8 fraudulent credit applications in 3 months. I had to purchase credit monitoring because what they offered victims wouldn’t work when I tried to register. I had to freeze my credit. They never sent me the required letter with information confirming the freeze and how to unfreeze it. I now need to unfreeze my credit to purchase a car for my 72 year old mother in law.

I have contacted them online and by phone and they refuse to do it, even though I provided all the identifying information and the personal pin they gave me when I requested the freeze. They will assist if I pay $24 a month for their monitoring, which I thought was illegal. You can not reach anyone on the phone except the automated system and there in no email addresses. Their dispute system is inaccessible and discriminatory, their security practices are clearly inferior and their response in clearly negligent. I have filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Consumer Protection Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have been offered a Free Account from my credit card bank due to a breach of security on my account. However, trying to use the activation code proved impossible so I tried to talk to someone at the company, what a joke. I have been on hold for 30 minutes after being told it would be 2 minutes. You can only talk to them by scheduling a call back on-line. Why do these companies make it so difficult to talk to them? I am going to try another company, even if I have to pay for it. Experian's Service Dept. is obviously lacking support and interest. Too bad.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I had a foreclosure case with the fraudulent people of USDA in FL, and Experian is not removing that old account from my record, the foreclosure was in report for more than five years, after USDA took our home from us illegally, and now Experian is reporting it ady it started on 2018, when in reality they started reporting since 2013. I even contacted the state attorney general and they didn't stop them either. Please do not buy a home from USDA in FL champion gate office, you will be ripped off, and Experian won't remove those old accounts from USDA. I'm trying this site before I take legal action against them, their abuse is incredible, if someone can help I'll appreciate it.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I noticed that Experian started charging me $5 a month in November for a membership which I never signed up for. I called the number on the Experian charge profile and entered into an automated system which did not offer the option to speak to a representative. Once I navigated to the option to cancel the membership, I received a response stating that I did not have one. I contacted my credit card bank to open a dispute. I was told that they are receiving many calls about this same Experian charge. I will get the charges reversed. Beware, check your statements closely!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Signed up for the, what I believe was a year, free trial. I must have forgotten after a year, obviously, and I have been charged $21.95 for 6 months. I think this tactic is very sly and purposely meant go unnoticed by many consumers in order to basically steal money. I always remember what bills are being deducted out of my account because I receive some type of notification. However, I did not receive any email or letter stating money was being taken out of my account. I believe as a credit union this is not a fair service to advertise, and the money should definitely be refunded. Very disappointed and seriously angry.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I froze all 3 of my credit bureau accounts when Equifax decided to give all of my personal and financial information to hackers. A company I am doing business with needed access to my Experian account. For whatever reason, I could not log-in to my account and the website did not recognize my SSN. I have spent 1/2 a day and 7 different phone numbers trying to get into my account. Can't get a live rep at any of the numbers. Wish I was not even associated with his organization. If they were not a company that the general public HAS to be enslaved to, they would out of business in a day. If I could give them a 0 rating I would. What a great way to run a company; avoid your customers at all costs. Does anybody know if Experian even has a phone system in their offices?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

It's unacceptable for a credit reporting bureau to be that difficult to reach on the phone. Their automatic menu is frustrating and doesn't cover 1/2 consumers' needs, and if you don't have a membership with them...then good luck reaching a customer service representative, I mean a live talking person to explain your situation to and try to resolve your report problems with. They seem not to care about others than their monthly paying members, and I say that from experience: after several ridiculously frustrating calls where it was impossible for me to speak to someone, I subscribed for their almost $20 monthly plan with a free trial month, and surprisingly, the call that followed went through like a breeze. It's outraging that a company that monitors and manages something critical like people's credits use such low-level tactics to discourage people from contacting them or pushing them to pay for what is their right.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I tried to call them many times with lots of different numbers, all of them was a machine. Finally, I found a video on Youtube. Simply, sign in to Experian.com and go to My Profile. Click the 'My Membership' on the left menu. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can find a link 'update online'. Go into that link, change your plan to 'individual' - $0.00/month. That's it!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Most phone numbers found in searching (the list I tried is posted here- all numbers end up saying "Goodbye" with no options for a live rep.) get you into a frustrating, non-productive loop: 866-617-1894; 714-830-7000; 877-284-7942; 800-493-1058. I actually called an Equifax "live number" and a rep. was kind enough to give me an Experian "live number". THE NUMBER TO CALL FOR A LIVE PERSON IS: 866-640-2273. After waiting 20 minutes, the rep. who answered told me she couldn't help with membership and transferred me. After a few more minutes of waiting, a live person in membership responded. I asked for their direct number in case we were disconnected: 888-397-3742. (Note that I tried this number later. Again, it is the endless loop. Don't use it.)

The rep. found my account (that I couldn't find by phone or online) and cancelled it; however, she firmly stated the contract notes that no refunds are permitted and my $32.57 now pending on my charge would remain. I asked her to connect me to a supervisor. She "tried connecting me" and 5 seconds later came back online to state that she could now refund $29.97. I told her the charge is $32.57.

I insisted on speaking to the supervisor. After holding for several more minutes, the supervisor came on. I stated my whole case. He apologized for the glitches in the system, stating that the entire amount of $32.57 was being refunded. His explanation is that they are working on integrating their system to avoid these situations. Overall - horrible experience. Feels like a total scam. Do not purchase the free trial unless you want this frustrating experience.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

So here is my story. I registered a service called Triple Alert from Experian long time back. And they no longer support this product, but I noticed they were keep charging my credit card until today, even after card was expired and account number was changed! I tried automated phone service (Experian service number), but it was keep being told by machine that my account doesn't even exist...and I was stuck. So, knowing ProtectMyID company is also a part of Experian, I called their customer service number instead. 1-866-960-6943. This number allowed me to directly speak to a live customer rep. and representative was able to pull up my information, and I was finally able to cancel my membership.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I had an account with Experian. I want to close it and I can't. When I call and provide all my personal information to a recorded voice it tell me the account doesn't exist but they keep charging my bank account. I tried canceling the card and they sent me a new one and they automatically charge the new card. The kicker is even if I close my account they will continue to charge me and ding my credit. Where are our protections from this fraudulent process. Experian is nothing but a ripoff. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Experian hides the fact that a premium membership is automatically renewed. Then, when you find out and want to end the membership, they make it very difficult. If you call customer support, the phone system requests your social security number before they will put you through. When you do connect with a customer service rep they are dismissive and unhelpful.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Of the three credit bureaus I had to contact about a death in my family, Experian was terrible. I had to speak with a person about what process I had to follow in this case. Getting to speak with a human was almost impossible. I wanted to put a freeze on my deceased father's account. All due respect to non-native English speakers, but this is an important matter. When I did finally speak with someone, they did not understand my issue, thinking it was "me" that I was making the freeze for! VERY frustrating and time-consuming. But Experian was the worst by far. One point, (for better or worse) these 3 Credit Bureaus are NOT part of the government and so they do what is financially best for them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

On 11/14/2018 I tried to log into my Experian account. I was unsuccessful and a phone number popped up so I called because I wanted to cancel my monthly acct.of 24.99. I was greeted with a foreign voice which fortunately I was able to understand. I asked him to cancel my account. The payment was not yet due until the 27th of the month - an auto deduct from my credit card.

What I was told made no sense to me- First he tells me because they are doing a migration of the accounts my account was canceled. I should have received an email stating the migration not that my account would be closed. Since I rec'd no email I asked him if it stated in the email that if I didn't reply to the email would my account automatically be cancelled? He said it would be upgraded to the new system? MORE CHARGES??? I don't know. I asked him, "Please cancel NOW" (to make it official that I cancelled) even though he said I no longer had an account, and "DO NOT charge me on the 27th."

He said I need to call back in a week. That they will charge me again and credit me??? I told him, "NO, I did not want to call back. I want this off my plate now at 11:35 AM 11/14/2018." He said because of the migration he can't do that? I said, "It is already cancelled. Why not? This seems highly illegal!" HE HUNG UP ON ME!!! Had I not called I never would have known my account was cancelled. What kind of company is this that holds you hostage giving out credit scores yet can jerk people around when it comes to their business. This is exactly WHY people have trouble with creditors - this is why it's hard to fix credit - you would think they would be sympathetic? They have their own rules.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

On 10/1/18, I called to set up a security freeze at all of the credit bureaus. Soon after that, I received the information from the other companies. It has been almost 1-1/2 months later, I am still waiting for Experian's information. To top it off, I have spent about three hours today ATTEMPTING to find a contact "support" phone number for them to deal with this; round-and-round, several numbers, inputting my S.S./etc. info only to get their automated crap that never gets me to a live person to talk to; no email or chat thing either! I would actually like to give Experian a zero vote!

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg