2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

BOTTOM LINE

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

PROS

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

CONS

• No in-person service

Top Experian Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be what you want but the fact that they have completed my disputes way faster than what was expected makes me extremely happy

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to use, more reliable, credit information is updated faster than the other two bureaus. I have never been dissatisfied with

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
    • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
    • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
    • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
    • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
    • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
    • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
    • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
    Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
    Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
    Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
    Is Experian really free?
    Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
    What credit score does Experian use?
    Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
    What is a good Experian credit score?
    Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: May 9, 2020

I receive monthly updates on my credit and I receive alerts on my credit/debit cards for uncommon activities. I am very happy with the continued monitoring of my accounts as well as the assurance of protection against fraudulent charges.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

At a point in time I was at my low moment. I had a really low score and I could not get a loan to support my falling business. I was able to remove my inquiries as I got help. You can also boost your score. I reached Darkcracker at protonmail, dude is good.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have been doing business with this brand for at least eight (8) years. I am completely satisfied and feel they are a trustworthy company. They offer all items that I require and they are much better priced than most others. I will continue doing business with them as long as they maintain their integrity and great pricing.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Experian IdentityWorks offers you with a wide variety of features when it comes to identity theft protection. They offers you with credit monitoring, Dark Web Surveillance, identity theft surveillance and alerts, social security number monitoring, the 3 bureaus monitoring, changes of address, FICO scores, even with the sex offender registry, lots of benefits other companies doesn’t have. They brings you information from the 3 bureau’s plus unique benefits like the ability to lock and unlock your Experian credit file with their Experian CreditLock feature and information about your FICO Score, two very important things that the competition doesn’t offer, reason I’m their customer.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Someone should investigate the algorithms that are used by Experian. I have what is known as a "thin" credit file since I am fortunate not to have any debts (mortgage, auto, etc.). I pay off all my credit card outstandings, sometimes just before the closing date for billing. Recently, my credit score dropped by 25 points, from one month to the next (812 to 787) because I paid down a $68 charge on my credit card - reducing my outstanding to $0.00. Because I had no outstandings, Experian said I was not exercising good credit management. That is ridiculous! I have a mediocre credit score because I do not have any debt and own my house without a mortgage. That is crazy!!! The credit agencies should be investigated.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

This is one of the worse services I have ever tried to use. Period. Terrible. The online enrolment did not work. So I waited online for over 1 hour to then speak to a person who didn't know what she was doing. She also could not get the account to activate. Her solution? Call back and try again tomorrow! In other words, call back and waste another hour of your time tomorrow and try with another agent. What a waste of time and energy. I guess if they cannot figure out how to activate my account there would be little hope of them ever being able to save my identity.

Original review: July 31, 2020

While registering after answering about 30 questions it said I could not be verified and that I must call a phone number. I called the number given and then was left on hold for over 20 minutes without being given a callback option.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I always pay off my credit card balances each month. Experian claims if you stay below 30% credit utilization that it won't hurt your credit score. I tested that, and allowed my accounts to show balances this past month but stayed at 28% and my score dropped 10 points. Wtf.

Original review: July 19, 2020

Updated on 7/21/2020: This further review of Experian accompanies my earlier rating. After posting my review yesterday, despite repeated attempts to contact them, I contacted my bank manager for my SunTrust Bank, an Experian affiliate, and the sponsor of the credit card Experian has fraudulently charged. The bank manager was able to contact Experian after several tries, And verified that I was NOT a member of Experian. A fraud investigation was therefore opened with SunTrust Bank. After getting off the lengthy phone calls, I decided to check my Credit card statements. Well, it seems Experian has been billing my credit card for months, Sometimes three times a month for the same amount, $21.95. So, Watch your credit card statements, and be prepared for long telephone times to deal with this scam.

Original review: Experian is crooked. First, if you use their website once with that understanding, they will bill you monthly, and say you did it. When you try to contact Experian about it, you will find it frustrating and impossible. Then, when you dispute the charges on your SunTrust credit card, they will “say” they are legitimate. If you are a member of Experian, and try to cancel, it probably will not happen. On their website, you will be solicited to use their services to enhance your score. All bull.

I abhor dishonesty. These days, it is a rare quality. I hope you aren't a victim of this scam. It is basically the revolving charge scam. A small monthly bill comes on your credit card, then continues to be billed. You overlook it because you recognize the biller and the amount is insignificant. But consider how much is made monthly by hundreds of thousands of take it for granted billings by major companies. How did I recognize this one? I had zero balance on the credit card, and I got billed three identical monthly billings from Experian, on one day.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Experian is not an accredited company and it shows in how they handle business. In their history I have a blocked account, then they have no one with my birthdate or social security number. You cannot have it both ways. Either I do not exist or I cannot be blocked. No one will answer the several phone numbers they have listed so you cannot communicate with them without writing a letter, adding all your private information, then hoping the mail service will deliver before next month. Very exasperating and not good for your blood pressure.

Experian Company Information