3.8/5 (715 ratings)

About Experian

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

Pros

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

Cons

• No in-person service

Bottom Line

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

Top Experian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be w...

Verified

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to ...

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
  • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
  • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
  • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
  • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
  • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
  • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
  • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
Is Experian really free?
Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
What credit score does Experian use?
Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
What is a good Experian credit score?
Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Experian is always sending me offers for credit cards. The messages says that if I get another credit card it will lower my credit card usage percentage and increase my score, if I continue with the same spending habits. I turned down the CC offers because I don't want another hard-hit inquiry on my report. I felt that I would just drop my usage percentage by paying down the balances on all my accounts and keep them low going forward. So that's what I did.

After paying off all my credit card accounts I thought that it would increase my credit score by decreasing my credit card usage percentage. But, Experian dropped my credit score by 11 points, because I paid off a credit card. I'm so furious at them behind this ordeal. They kept pressuring me to get another card because it would lower my usage but when I pay down my usage I get punished for it. This maintaining a good credit report with Experian is very confusing. I feel that they got upset because I didn't take the offer and giving them a referral commission.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

When you first create your account with Experian, you sign up for a $25/mo. subscription that will start automatically after the trial period. If they notified me during the sign up that charges would start immediately after the trial if you don't cancel, I didn't see it. It should be made clear when you're signing up, not hidden in small print. I submitted multiple support tickets on day one after they charged me, telling them to cancel the 30 day subscription and refund my $25. I was never able to speak to a human customer support agent. I got an email saying that all they would do is cancel the subscription, keep my money, and leave me with a service I didn't want for another 30 days.

I would not have signed up for the trial if I had realized it was one of those cancel it or get charged scams. I don't have any collections to dispute or anything that would be worth paying for. I only intended to sign up for free credit monitoring. I didn't realize that there will still companies out there pulling this sleazy little stunt. Honestly, I thought the "free trial with automatic membership after, with no notice before it starts and no option to cancel for a refund" thing was illegal these days. I haven't seen a company dishonest enough to employ it in years. If they're running dirty little scams, it's almost impossible to reach a person to talk to, they ignore support tickets, and they refuse to give a refund for services you won't use, then how can you trust them to do ANY of their business honestly?

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

Had an old collection from a company. We moved. Closed our account and they kept billing us. We disputed and won. A new collection company bought the debt and they put it back on my report. I disputed the debt and advised Experian that they already removed it but they dropped my credit 31 points and put it back even though I proved the debt was false. I tried to call but could not get anyone to help. There are so many shady debt collectors. It's sad they side with many of them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

I have as good a credit as you can get, I signed up for Boost anyway (not smart). In doing so you give them full access to your bank accounts, my score did increase maybe 12-15 points. I changed my password at bank so they can't access my accounts, now they decreased my score 30 points on the Experian page, but if a credit inquiry is done by them it shows my credit around 30 points higher than their page shows. My conclusion is Experian wants total control of your bank account and that they only have to show the credit improvement on their site anyway. I don't believe it changes anything, just gets them your password for online banking....

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Wrong details provided to credit provider. Very difficult to access direct contact with staff member. Once achieved contact staff members cut off calls and were generally wholly unhelpful, misleading and of the opinion were unaccountable. Refused to escalate matter to senior management, refused to provide details of CEO when requested although such information is available from internet.

Original review: July 5, 2022

I'm just ignored. An email address is not available. Phone support is unavailable. It's not working. I have been trying to reach out for more than a week with no response. I'm not sure why they blocked my account but I have no way how to figure out because I'm unable to reach out to them.

Original review: June 24, 2022

For months, I have been paying down large portions of debt to the point where I will be debt free by year-end. At one time I was at credit card debt to availability ration in the high 60's, and it is now down below 40% and getting lower every month. Experian has kept me in a range from about 698 - 725 for that entire time, and now that I am below 40%, they have me back down to 700! 3 of my 5 ratings are exceptional, with the others good, and the final one (debt to availability) as Fair. They IMMEDIATELY lower your score at the drop of a hat, while painstakingly and slowly raising it when you improve.

It's a scam of the financial services industry and should be investigated!! The lower they keep people's scores, the more the banks with credit card offerings make - and I have no doubt it adds up to trillions of dollars over time. And the reporting agencies are nothing more than an offshoot of the banks! Investigate them, and pull back the curtain on this scandalous industry - Americans would be aghast at what is found!

Original review: June 20, 2022

Just got off the phone with about six different people and how someone can hack into my account at Experian, change all my information which is private phone number, home address and the email and how ironic I cannot even sign into my account there now because everything is changed. How can a company allow all my information to be changed by a hacker and they’re the ones that is supposed to monitor the dark web to see if I’ve been exposed to fraudulent activity and then the ones being hacked. What a joke. Want to good company I go to TransUnion. Much more professional.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Experian makes it extremely, and I mean hardest I've ever experienced, getting in contact with a representative/agent. After finally figuring out how to "trick" the system to be able to talk to someone, the agent contacted was incompetent, barely spoke English, and unable to resolve the system issue that prevented me from logging on. All things considered I would rate Experian as the worst company with whom I have ever had any interaction. It is scary that they manage credit for a large population. I doubt my data is at all safe in their hands.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Never again will I obtain a credit freeze with Experian. I simply just want to unfreeze my credit for ONE day and Experian isn't allowing me to do that. You can't get a hold of ANYBODY through the phone. I try logging onto my account to easily unfreeze my damn credit online, but I constantly get an error message. So I try to call technical support.... Guess what? CAN'T GET ANYBODY ON THE PHONE. This is absolutely ridiculous. Good thing I'm not buying a car and need my credit LAST MINUTE. I would be SOL simply because Experian members can't do their job.

Experian Company Information