3.8/5 (700 ratings)

About Experian

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

Pros

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

Cons

• No in-person service

Bottom Line

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

Top Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Verified

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be w...

Verified

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to ...

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
  • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
  • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
  • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
  • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
  • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
  • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
  • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
Is Experian really free?
Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
What credit score does Experian use?
Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
What is a good Experian credit score?
Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I've been cleaning up the miscellaneous auto-drafts that are coming out of my bank account. One of them was Experian Credit Reports that I joined a few years ago. Experian has been deducting money from my account every month. When I tried to downgrade my service plan, I was unable to do so. I applied a few times to downgrade to the free service for a few months but they kept taking my money. I finally found a phone number to call and tried that. We'll see if that did the trick but I don't trust that company. I believe they are a Scam themselves.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

My credit sucked. I began working on fixing it. I got Boost. My score increased 18 points. I fixed my credit. Equifax and Transunion had me at 750. Experian had me at 750. I removed the Boost. My Experian Score dropped 100 points. Although all 3 reports look exactly the same. Experian is frozen at 662. Equifax and Transunion at 783. Experian is affecting my credit options. When I attempt to dispute. They say- add Boost again. Boost is a scam to get your Bank info. I am looking to sue Experian. I am NOT a happy customer.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

I won't ever need my Experian account. Is there anyway I can delete this information completely? I have a free account but I should be able to delete it. I don't need it since I don't borrow money at all. Also, why do they have my "Google Pay" information? I would like to delete that as well.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

I created an Email with password for a Basic Free look at my Credit Score. I never started a Subscription nor gave out my credit card, not authorizing for them to bill me. Then I started getting charged $29.99 plus $2.99. What a scam. I turned it over to the fraud department and ordered a New Credit Card. To use my Credit Card without Authorization and the Customer Service is Terrible. This is the worst Credit Bureau. Tip for consumers: They will charge regardless or upgrade you without your consent and use your credit card without letting you know. Not cool. It’s not free.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I signed up with this company 2yrs ago. I opted for the "free" account, as I was simply wanting to keep track of my credit score and nothing else. As of today, 11/21/2022, Experian hasn't adjusted my Transunion or Equifax scores since....August 20, 2022!! That's right. I've been paying my balances every month, on time. I have a 5% usage on all my cards combined. A 100% "On Time" payment history that goes back several years now. And they tell me that in order for them to keep my score updated, I need to UPGRADE!

They already have access to my info, and when I tried to deactivate the account, they asked me for my SSN, which I refused to give because it felt "wrong". My Credit Karma account is more accurate and gives me updated scores (Fico, Equifax, and TransUnion) without asking me to pay a monthly fee. Maybe Experian IS legit, but their business model sucks.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

I wasted several minutes trying to navigate through Experian's "prompts" to speak to an Experian specialist. The teleprompt only recognized responses keyed into its system. My question did not fit any of the pre-recorded responses. The teleprompt recognized that I wanted to speak to someone, but kept navigating me back to its original queries. It never transferred me to a specialist. Experian is behind the times by not making its Help Desk readily accessible.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Experian were quick to update my credit score after a successful boost with Credit Boost Helpers. I dealt with poor credit for so long because of my total ignorance. Glad I found CBH who helped me clean up my credit score fast.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

First the auto system was horrible and didn't understand what was said. I ended up repeating myself 3 times. Finally I get to customer service and it took over 12 mins before she said she can't help and hung up.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Experian is always sending me offers for credit cards. The messages says that if I get another credit card it will lower my credit card usage percentage and increase my score, if I continue with the same spending habits. I turned down the CC offers because I don't want another hard-hit inquiry on my report. I felt that I would just drop my usage percentage by paying down the balances on all my accounts and keep them low going forward. So that's what I did.

After paying off all my credit card accounts I thought that it would increase my credit score by decreasing my credit card usage percentage. But, Experian dropped my credit score by 11 points, because I paid off a credit card. I'm so furious at them behind this ordeal. They kept pressuring me to get another card because it would lower my usage but when I pay down my usage I get punished for it. This maintaining a good credit report with Experian is very confusing. I feel that they got upset because I didn't take the offer and giving them a referral commission.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

When you first create your account with Experian, you sign up for a $25/mo. subscription that will start automatically after the trial period. If they notified me during the sign up that charges would start immediately after the trial if you don't cancel, I didn't see it. It should be made clear when you're signing up, not hidden in small print. I submitted multiple support tickets on day one after they charged me, telling them to cancel the 30 day subscription and refund my $25. I was never able to speak to a human customer support agent. I got an email saying that all they would do is cancel the subscription, keep my money, and leave me with a service I didn't want for another 30 days.

I would not have signed up for the trial if I had realized it was one of those cancel it or get charged scams. I don't have any collections to dispute or anything that would be worth paying for. I only intended to sign up for free credit monitoring. I didn't realize that there will still companies out there pulling this sleazy little stunt. Honestly, I thought the "free trial with automatic membership after, with no notice before it starts and no option to cancel for a refund" thing was illegal these days. I haven't seen a company dishonest enough to employ it in years. If they're running dirty little scams, it's almost impossible to reach a person to talk to, they ignore support tickets, and they refuse to give a refund for services you won't use, then how can you trust them to do ANY of their business honestly?

Experian Company Information