1.07/5
Based on 151 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1413 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 29, 2018

First they send you an email saying your credit score has slightly changed do you want to know why? When you go to the site they tell you that for $1 you can see why. You click on the box and you then get the terms and conditions that you must agree to. Buried in that agreement is you're signing up for a membership of $21.95 a month. A total scam. Bait and Switch. Use TransUnion or Equifax. This is shameful. You don't even have to read my review, they are already rated one star by everyone else. I give them no stars but the system will not let me. Thanks.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Experian refuse to removed information disputed from file after submitting, FTC report, Police Report. They continue to say "The account has been verified" when asked for verification, they never send any verification. I went to their reporting source LexisNexis who completed an investigation and removed the item from their report because they was unable to verify it. They informed all three credit bureau to delete the information because they could verify it. All credit bureaus deleted the information except Experian who claims they verified it which is incorrect. I'm Looking to start a CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST EXPERIAN!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 26, 2018

Never in all my years of dealing with a company have I experienced such poor service. After placing a freeze on my credit and then wanting to remove it months later, I attempted to do this online, because I could not get through via the telephone. Their telephone prompts for me was like you were on a merry-go-round. Kept bringing me back to the main menu when all I wanted to do was speak with a rep to have my freeze removed. So, I decided to attempt it online and I got to the portion where they ask you security questions. I answered all of them correctly and submitted the form. I then got booted off the system. I must have tried about 10 more times online and to no avail could I do it. So again, back to the phone.

I finally found a phone number that will eventually put you through a rep. 800-493-1058. Get ready to press many buttons. It was a guessing game that finally got me through. I thought I had success, but I've learned, according to the rep, if you failed to answer a security question online, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing they can do for you to remove the freeze. They could not ask me any security question to remove the freeze, because the backward system that Experian has there does not allow them to do it. So, I was told to upload documents (License, utility bill, bank statements, etc...), anything that proves your identity. I asked for an email or a fax. They don't have one. That's right, THEY DON'T HAVE ONE. Imagine that. In today's day of technology, they don't have one.

All the rep could tell me was, it's for security reasons. LOL... More like, they are living in the stone ages. So, now I am back to the computer. After 5 tries, I finally got my documents uploaded. I was told it will take 5-10 business days before it happens. What am I supposed to tell the Seller of the house I am buying? I put the freeze on because of a hack. I think I would of rather rolled the dice and having someone steal my identity, than to have to go through I went through with Experian. TRULY SHAMEFUL and EMBARRASSING for this company. STAY THE ** AWAY!!! You have been warned.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I cancelled my $24.99 a month membership 3-4 months ago. Experian continues taking 24.99 out of my account every month. I've called every month and they refund me and turn around and take it right back out of my account. I have been forced to close my account and reopen another one. Be careful if you give them your card number because they won't stop taking your money.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Contacting Experian is the worst and most incompetent experience in customer service history. All I wanted to do is remove an Extended Consumer Alert. I tried calling your 877# and entered my SSN about 498,202 times and received the response "Sorry, we didn't recognize that. Try again!" Well if you can't recognize a SSN, then clearly you should not be in the SS business; so I definitely DO NOT want to continue paying $24.95 for preschool level service. Note: I've been an (over)paying customer for years. But apparently I don't pay enough to talk to someone when I need help.

I also tried your 888 number which continuously just hung up mid-ring. Finally I got through and experienced the same child on the playground who couldn't recognize a SSN. One time I found the smartest preschooler in your daycare center and was able to get through, only to find a prompter who said I need to mail in a Doctoral Thesis on my life to simply allow someone to get through and check my credit.

P.S. Below is your directions regarding How To Cancel. I dare anyone in your company to contacting this number and try to get an actual person, let alone any helpful information whatsoever. Whoever attempts this daring feat will most likely end up throwing their phone, bashing their face into their keyboard, and jumping off the nearing building. Good luck!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: June 19, 2018

I need to review my credit report so I can repair it. Experian offered 3 credit reports and FICO score for $1.00 for 7 days, as long as you cancel before then, I tried canceling as soon as I got it and was unable to due to voluminous hours of being on hold. After the 7 days they started charging my account $29.95, and 4 months later I still cannot cancel. After numerous times of trying to cancel my account with no avail. I contacted an attorney and filed a class action suit. If anyone is interested in suing Experian or any company that is affiliated with Experian-for not allowing you to cancel your membership/and or trial membership, please reach out to me.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Don't let anyone at Experian tell you they won't give you a full refund when you are tricked into paying a monthly membership. I recorded the customer service reps telling me that I had zero activity in my account for over 3 months after my "one dollar" credit report, and then I complained to the Better Business Bureau. In the complaint, I said that I had evidence that I never used the service and that Experian never sent one receipt for the charges against my account. Experian gave me a full refund for the months I didn't use it after this complaint.

Do NOT let them tell you that they can't give a full refund, demand to talk to a manager, and then show them my response from the BBB as proof that they give full refunds. Tell them you have recorded the conversation and that you are complaining to the BBB and FTC. The managers are hostile, so be sure to record your conversation. If they say they don't consent to being recorded, tell them that you didn't ask for their consent. Consent is already implied because of the recording at the beginning of the customer service calls that say you may be recorded.

Experian's entire business model is built on doing the least amount possible to let you know you are being charged for a monthly membership, and then making it as difficult as possible to cancel. Customer service reps will tell you it's completely impossible to get a full refund, and then managers of the reps will bully you into not calling anymore. Complain to the BBB, file a complaint with FTC, and then contest the charges with your bank. Don't let them continue to get away with this.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Beware: Do not sign-up for any paid subscription. It is very difficult to cancel your paid subscription online unless you are extremely CAREFUL. Go to the Subscription icon. Click on it. Then scroll down to look for updating your subscription.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Experian continues to report inaccurate or false information on my credit report. I have disputed these inaccuracies multiple times with documentation to prove them, and they refuse to delete them from my file.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I signed up for a 9.99 credit report. The company hid in their terms and conditions that you would automatically be signed up for their 25/month ongoing membership. They do not refund your cost of membership, regardless of their deceptive practices. When calling to cancel my membership, the first assistant hung up on me (given, I told her to stop the ** and cancel my membership). We need the big credit cartels to be broken up. This is unacceptable.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It's disappointing that Experian is not able to provide receipts or an invoice for your transactions. It's almost like they don't want you to know what your spend is for fear of cancellation. This seems like a fairly simple and straightforward request but far too difficult for Experian.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I signed up for the membership when we were buying a house to know our credit score. Since then I've cancelled all the accounts mine and my husband's. But they keep on charging 21.95 for over a year. We can't access any of our online accounts as it always said that no accounts with these credential exist. Today finally I got a representative on the phone who told me that my husband's account is still active and asked for the CC, which I gave him right away cause they are charging my CC. So I requested a refund, rep said I need to speak with the manager, manager turned out to be really rude and was yelling at me that I was using the wrong login. I was trying to explain to her that I used my husband's SS# and still was getting no account message. But was interrupting me at every word yelling.

Finally I gave up, said thank you and hung up. I personally cancelled all the accounts and they made a mistake and cancelled only 1 account and now I have to pay for their mistake as they are refusing to issue a refund. I also have emails that state that there is no account under my husband's SS#. And after all, how can they employ such rude customer support managers??? Outrageous!!!

Resolution response: May 16, 2018

I received my refund for the monthly charge today. If they tell you that they cannot reverse the charge, be insistent - they actually can reverse it and they will.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I went to freecreditreport.com where it is claimed that my credit report is FREE and does not require a credit card. So I go in and register for my FREE credit report that I am supposed to be entitled to by law. The company is in partnership with Experian. Okay. Cool. That's a name I recognize. I sign up for my FREE credit report (stated about 5 times on the first page alone) and then they tell me it's a $1 charge to verify my identity. Cool. No problem. I give them the $1. Well lo and behold - here we are 15 days later and my account has been charged $21.95.

I called customer service and told them that their website is EXTREMELY misleading and that I wanted my charge reverse. The rep said that she could cancel my account but "the system" wasn't allowing her to reverse the charge. I told her that was unacceptable and that I needed the charge reversed. She said "Sorry, I can't do that, the system won't allow it".

I then asked to speak to someone whose system could reverse it and she played dumb and replied with "Ma'am I'm not sure who you want to speak with" and I repeated again, that I needed to speak with someone who could reverse the charge. We did this song and dance for about 5 minutes and then FINALLY she put me on hold - for 10 minutes might I add - and came back and said her supervisor was able to reverse the charge. I requested a confirmation so I can follow up in case my charge isn't reversed. We'll see if it actually happens... If you're seeking your actual free report visit annualcreditreport.com.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Like a lot of reviews I paid for the $1 credit report not knowing that I would be subscribed to a monthly service. Tried calling customer service and was on hold for an hour before I hung up. Called again but this time after entering my personal information I dialed 0, #, *, 7 until I got a service rep and was able to cancel my membership. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I can't choose between Experian and Comcast for the worst customer service... or service, period. I too did not notice the $24.99 charge for a whole year before calling them to cancel. Pushed button 1 for cancellation, waited 2 hours (see pic for evidence), hung up, called back and pushed button 2 for billing and voila, I got through in a minute.

Spoke with the agent and asked to close the account. Told him I did not recall signing up for it or ever receiving an email with the service price (or change in service price). He claimed that all customers are sent an email. I asked him why their website did not have payment history or service price listed. He insisted it was available in account settings. I requested him to stay on the line while I log in to Experian account online so he can help me navigate to the said page. HE HUNG UP ON ME! Oh yes, he did. And now I can't seem to log in to my account or change my password at all. Did he close my account? I don't know. Experian is a total scam!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I’ve been trying to cancel the credit monitoring service with Experian. Find that it’s next to impossible to do so. I’ve called the cancellation phone number multiple times, waiting over an hour before getting frustrated and hanging up. I sent them an email with no response. For this to be a credit reporting company, it had serious unethical behavior. The only option I know to do is to stop payment with my credit card company.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Credit report for $1.00 - Be aware. It's a dollar for 7 days. After that they zap your bank account for $21.95. Did not see that in the small print. They are more than happy to keep your $21.95 and cancel your "subscription".

Original review: April 21, 2018

I am very disappointed with Experian credit services. The number 1-877-284-7942 is always busy. You spend hours on the phone and keep listening music. Terrible service. I want now to cancel the service and I can't. I have to wait for someone to answer the phone. The company outsourced it to Costa Rica - I believe this is the issue but better not to try.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I see a lot of consumers here with the same issue as myself. They automatically sign you up for a membership without telling you, you'll be charged $24.99 monthly!! I have never had trouble with any of the other reporting agencies. My Experian score is almost 100 points lower than both of my other scores because they have an account in collections that was paid in full years ago, and it even says paid in full, and closed, yet it's still sitting in collections on their page and it's hurting my score!! I filed a dispute but judging by the other comments here it sounds like it won't do me much good. Pretty discouraging they are able to get away with inadequate, inaccurate "service" they provide!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I filed a dispute with Experian. The company for which I filed the dispute updated their info in my account and I was dinged again on my credit report by the company for the same issue. After calling Experian twice and 45 minutes on the phone I found there is no recourse. Experian takes the side of the company filing information, not the consumer and doesn’t seem to care that a consumer is penalized twice for the same information. My conclusion, DONT file a dispute!

Original review: April 16, 2018

Calling EXPERIAN (Several toll fees and area codes) has been technically impossible and I said that because you cannot spend two hours on daily basis trying to get in contact with them in order to cancel or remove a program that you don't even selected, this is beyond unfairness and poor endorsement from a company that supposed take care of your credit but indeed of your own pocket. Did somebody from Capitol Hill is aware of this camouflage fraud from them? Well, take action then.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I have been getting charged 24.99 monthly for an account that is not mine. After being on hold forever, I get a nice girl, explain the situation, then request a refund. She immediately transfers me to a 'supervisor'. He explains that the account (that's not mine) was still being monitored - then has the gall to say "you don't go buy a loaf of bread, eat it, and then ask for a refund!" He said he would refund 1 month out of 8!! The worst customer service! This company should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Can I rate this company with less than 1 star?? I have called several times now first thing in the morning and I have never had a call answered and I hung up after 40 minutes or more on hold. I could possibly understand this if it was later in the day when more timezones were in business hours. I get thru to Equifax and Trans Union within moments. I have submitted more than one email addressing my concern and was advised that someone would get back with me but have yet to be contacted.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I had the free version of the service, only to see my so called credit score declining every few months with no reason. I concluded it is a scam to make me pay membership! I never been late with any payment in my life, I am earning about double of my monthly expenses with quite some spare money left every month, pay my taxes, yet I have poor credit score according to them. The aim is to see your score going down and to pay to see why, right? Never mind some companies might actually believe it.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I couldn't see anything wrong with my credit looking at Experian's report but they seem to hold an old bankruptcy (4+ years ago) over your head big time. Credit score almost 100 points less than the other two agencies.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Bad enough that this company allowed our information to be compromised, but they also signed me on to this 24.99 monthly charge, without my consent. I never want to hear the name of this company again, in my business dealings. Lawyers take this as a class action suit. I'm in!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Wanted to cancel Experian Credit Monitoring and was stunned to see that I could not cancel online. Then called the cancel phone number. I will be reporting to regulatory agencies but BEWARE, this is an unethical company to do this.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I attempted to retrieve my FICO score and Experian responded I have 0 (Zero) credit references on my account. They ran my credit history and provided a report prior to signing me up for the so called, credit monitoring. That report shows five current credit accounts and several others before the year 2010. I decided to cancel my $19.99 per month fees and called the customer service phone number. I attempted to cancel through the automated responses and the automation said "you are under a free 30 day trial period and cannot cancel! My so called service and my first credit card deduction was July of 2017?! I hung up and called again hitting prompts to speak to a person and was on hold for an hour and forty-five minutes?!

I reported the system did not recognize my enrollment and referred to me as a free 30 day trial period and there is zero credit files on record. She ignored what I said so I requested to cancel my Experian and a full refund for all months I was charged. She offered a one month refund only. I asked for a supervisor and a female, Lea answered repeating the same one month refund offer. She rudely gave me other contact info, email custbilling@experianinteractive.com, physical address PO Box 2390 Allen Tx, 75013, Fax 1-855-829-9851. I demanded a full refund from July 2017 through March 2018 and she refused. What a warm dependable credit monitoring company I can trust. My Rating is ZERO. And that's what I feel I was provided with the exception of sexual predator reports to my email.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have been on the phone now for over 45 minutes this time. Trying to cancel my subscription. Unreal. I read the other reviews and they're correct. They take your money every month but can’t cancel. 100% frustrated!!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

We had free Experian credit monitoring for some period of time after a data breach. We opted to pay ~$25/month to continue the monitoring. Some months ago, we decided that Experian wasn't worth the cost. It was then that we learned how hard it is to cancel. It can only be done by phone. They don't offer to call you back. In only four attempts, my husband and I have spent a total of more than four hours on hold. Each time, we've had other business pull us away from the phone. The worst part is, that after each abandoned call, we've gotten distracted and allowed another month and another $25 to evaporate. In my opinion, Experian already owes us about $100 for having such lousy customer service! As I write, I've been on hold this time for 57 minutes. Experian customer service may be the worst I've ever experienced, if it can even be said to exist!

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg