2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.6/5 (1157 ratings)

About Experian

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

Pros

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

Cons

• No in-person service

Bottom Line

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

Top Experian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be w...

Verified

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to ...

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
  • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
  • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
  • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
  • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
  • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
  • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
  • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
Is Experian really free?
Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
What credit score does Experian use?
Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
What is a good Experian credit score?
Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

They monitor my credit cards and I saw a 248.00 charge from a gas station in Italy. It wasn't me. They took care of filing the fraud report after I told them it was fraud. They show me regularly ups and downs in my credit cards. What's missing is not showing changes in bank accounts. If I withdraw 5000.00 there is no mention of it. I have had my private info stolen from my work place, my utility bill, and a card scanned at Macy's by a deceptive young woman, which ended up spending money in NYC. Again not me. I would like to be notified when bank accounts are used.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Experian been great to monitor all my accounts. It tracks dark web driver license, medical id, ssn, emails, passwords. You have all in one account and the best thing is I got the membership for free. Also you link your bank account and credit cards.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2021

When you sign up for Experian they state themselves to be a “completely free” credit service. You’re given many neat and helpful features to explore. For the first two weeks this service is amazing, until you get a $30 bill you didn’t approve and now have to go about disputing. When you sign up, without providing you the choice, you are automatically enrolled in their premium account. They wait two weeks to bill you so they can just take the information you’ve provided for your credit monitoring and be able to bill you without your knowledge, or you even entering your card details. Turns out this “super neat and helpful” service is only available if you’re willing to pay $30 a month, the free version is to say the least, a bare minimum, which you could just get from Credit Karma instead, they’re actually completely free.

You are only able to even switch to this version by locating your account details and manually changing them. There is no way to cancel or delete once they’ve got you, so don’t think you can keep them out of your business ever again! For a service that advertises itself as completely free and existing to help people, they have proven to be nothing but money hungry frauds who will do anything to scam you out of your hard earned paycheck. Do not sign up. It’s not worth it. Stick with Credit Karma!

Original review: May 22, 2021

So to begin with, I’ve always had problems with Experian, to me they're the worst ever reporting agency, always getting my information wrong, adding collections that weren’t mine. Awhile back I deleted former addresses off my report and it literally dropped my score by 50, so I chat with an agent, she says, "Oh that was just a coincidence.." Ok so I do it again... Lo and behold dropped again by 60 points, again I was told it was another coincidence.. Coincidence my **.. Then she says she can’t do anything about it.. So you're telling me you screw up my score and can’t fix it? She said it wasn’t them.. I said then I guess it was the Russians.. And I hung up... So I log on today and they literally say I have no credit score now.. Wtf? Haha They are a bunch of idiots.. This is the worse ever credit agency ever.. Yes I have a credit score on the other agency... Funny huh? I really hope Experian steps on a Lego and then slides on a matchbox car...

Original review: May 18, 2021

The actual services, like IdentityWorks are awesome and I think they work great. The 1 star review is to hopefully get Experian's attention that they need to change their customer service processes. I've had a problem with my IdentityWorks account for a month now, and it's still not resolved. The issue is, you cannot call them. Their 800 number is a joke. A computer answers and demands your SSN before continuing, and refuses to let you bypass the question. Once you give up and give them your SSN, the system gives you two options. If neither of those are your problem, it hangs up on you. If you choose one of the options, one tells you to go to the website, and then hangs up on you, the other gives you two new options, both of which tell you to go to the website and then hang up on you. Getting upset and hitting 0 over and over causes the system to hang up on you.

Whoever you are at Experian who's in charge of customer service, little tip, hanging up on customers will never make them feel like you successfully resolved their issue. If you Google 'contact experian' the web is FULL of different web page purporting to get you to a person, but none of them work, sadly. You know you have a customer service issue if the web is full of websites offering advice on how to actually get to a human at your company.

Also, there is a chat option, but only if pay for the IdentityWorks service (and others, I'm sure). Chat will actually get you to someone but once I finally got through on chat, which kept going offline due to "high chat volume" the person I chatted with had to submit a support ticket. I said, "And how will you contact me to tell me this is resolved?" And the reply was, "IF you're contacted, it may be by phone or email." "Really, you aren't sure they will contact me to tell me the issue, that you verified, has been resolved?" She said no, she couldn't guarantee that. I said, "How do I find out the status?" She said, "Chat back here and check on it in a few days." Perfect.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I received an email alert that my password had been changed and to email them if I did not do. I emailed and hours have gone by with no response. You cannot call any phone number and get through to a human. Now someone has access to my account and I can't do anything about it because I cannot contact them.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Boost reduces your credit score by showing you have more debt because of your monthly utility bills. If you remove Boost, Experian retaliates by reducing your score one point for each utility bill removed.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I received an email alert that my score went up. Checked and it actually dropped 6 points! I checked my file and could not see any reason for the drop. Called Experian and was told they could not identify the reason. I was told and given a number to call FICO which I did and FICO advised they only report what Experian send then. Called Experian back and asked for Supervisor. She did not give me her name and was very abrupt and irritable. She kept telling me to check my alerts and I explained that the alert said it was going up and no alert indicating it had went down and nothing I could find on the file had changed.

She said someone else must have sent the email stating that it did come from Experian. I told her it did because I had sent a reply and Experian had sent a automated response. SHE HUNG UP ON ME. Great example for a Customer service Supervisor. All I wanted was to see if info. had been put in that caused the drop because I could not find any reason for the decline. Six points is a lot. I was polite to this person. Hopefully not all of your Supervisors have this kind of attitude.

Original review: March 25, 2021

Worst company ever. They advise and I only had two credit cards. They advised me to get another one to up my score from 732. I applied for a two credit cards and my score went down to 699. I am furious that this is what they do and you can never use Boost because it's always busy. Canceled my membership. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: March 17, 2021

Be WARY of this company. They rely on the fine print of their offer to take advantage of countless people. Their entire business model depends on the exploitation of people who need help with their credit. Avoid using their services.

Original review: March 10, 2021

The boost is a con! Do not sign up because they blow up your phone, text you constantly and e-mail you to death! Run! Run! It does not work! You are wasting your time and getting cookies for everything you do from then on with phone or computer!

Original review: March 3, 2021

I wanted to allow a creditor one time access to my credit profile which I have frozen. I created a single-use pin as per instruction on the Experian website. When I called the creditor and gave them the code that was generated it did not work. I spent the next 1.5 hours trying to speak to someone from Experian to rectify this, none of the numbers on the website lets you speak to an actual person. Finally found a number somewhere on the internet, someone who had a similar experience. I finally get through and spent quite a bit of time trying to rectify this. I wasn't happy with the customer service and was glad when I was done creating a new pin. I called my creditor and gave them the new pin and surprise surprise it didn't work again. I got so frustrated with this and just cancelled the application because this would mean talking to Experian again. Am ready to jump ship.

Experian Company Information