2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.62/5

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

BOTTOM LINE

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

PROS

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

CONS

• No in-person service

Top Experian Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be what you want but the fact that they have completed my disputes way faster than what was expected makes me extremely happy

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to use, more reliable, credit information is updated faster than the other two bureaus. I have never been dissatisfied with

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
    • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
    • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
    • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
    • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
    • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
    • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
    • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
    Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
    Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
    Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
    Is Experian really free?
    Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
    What credit score does Experian use?
    Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
    What is a good Experian credit score?
    Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

They monitor my credit cards and I saw a 248.00 charge from a gas station in Italy. It wasn't me. They took care of filing the fraud report after I told them it was fraud. They show me regularly ups and downs in my credit cards. What's missing is not showing changes in bank accounts. If I withdraw 5000.00 there is no mention of it. I have had my private info stolen from my work place, my utility bill, and a card scanned at Macy's by a deceptive young woman, which ended up spending money in NYC. Again not me. I would like to be notified when bank accounts are used.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Experian been great to monitor all my accounts. It tracks dark web driver license, medical id, ssn, emails, passwords. You have all in one account and the best thing is I got the membership for free. Also you link your bank account and credit cards.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I receive monthly updates on my credit and I receive alerts on my credit/debit cards for uncommon activities. I am very happy with the continued monitoring of my accounts as well as the assurance of protection against fraudulent charges.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Boost reduces your credit score by showing you have more debt because of your monthly utility bills. If you remove Boost, Experian retaliates by reducing your score one point for each utility bill removed.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I received an email alert that my score went up. Checked and it actually dropped 6 points! I checked my file and could not see any reason for the drop. Called Experian and was told they could not identify the reason. I was told and given a number to call FICO which I did and FICO advised they only report what Experian send then. Called Experian back and asked for Supervisor. She did not give me her name and was very abrupt and irritable. She kept telling me to check my alerts and I explained that the alert said it was going up and no alert indicating it had went down and nothing I could find on the file had changed.

She said someone else must have sent the email stating that it did come from Experian. I told her it did because I had sent a reply and Experian had sent a automated response. SHE HUNG UP ON ME. Great example for a Customer service Supervisor. All I wanted was to see if info. had been put in that caused the drop because I could not find any reason for the decline. Six points is a lot. I was polite to this person. Hopefully not all of your Supervisors have this kind of attitude.

Original review: March 25, 2021

Worst company ever. They advise and I only had two credit cards. They advised me to get another one to up my score from 732. I applied for a two credit cards and my score went down to 699. I am furious that this is what they do and you can never use Boost because it's always busy. Canceled my membership. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: March 17, 2021

Be WARY of this company. They rely on the fine print of their offer to take advantage of countless people. Their entire business model depends on the exploitation of people who need help with their credit. Avoid using their services.

Original review: March 10, 2021

The boost is a con! Do not sign up because they blow up your phone, text you constantly and e-mail you to death! Run! Run! It does not work! You are wasting your time and getting cookies for everything you do from then on with phone or computer!

Original review: March 3, 2021

I wanted to allow a creditor one time access to my credit profile which I have frozen. I created a single-use pin as per instruction on the Experian website. When I called the creditor and gave them the code that was generated it did not work. I spent the next 1.5 hours trying to speak to someone from Experian to rectify this, none of the numbers on the website lets you speak to an actual person. Finally found a number somewhere on the internet, someone who had a similar experience. I finally get through and spent quite a bit of time trying to rectify this. I wasn't happy with the customer service and was glad when I was done creating a new pin. I called my creditor and gave them the new pin and surprise surprise it didn't work again. I got so frustrated with this and just cancelled the application because this would mean talking to Experian again. Am ready to jump ship.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Since they failed to secure their data, you the consumer must send them a letter to unfreeze your account. Welcome to 1960! What is that about? How crap is this modern data based company? Unreal!! So now we cannot get a refinancing on our house. We have to wait and in the meantime we will not get the low rate for our house loan.

Experian Company Information