3.01/5

1564 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2019

Experian is definitely the worst of the three credit tracking companies. I have disputed items on my report to TransUnion and Equifax and both were removed, Experian refuse to remove that same item because I couldn't prove that it wasn't mine. I'm sorry, but isn't the onus on the collection agency to prove that the debt is valid? Not for Experian! Because of that they have my score as being over 40 points lower than the other two agencies. And for some reason, Experian is the only agency that a lot of companies even look at.

Original review: May 21, 2019

This company is absolutely awful. They owe me money from 2015 and I'm still waiting to receive it. Got their services at first and was never sent my password, I tried countless times and they said they reposted it etc but again never ever received it despite having all the correct information. The guy on the phone told me they would refund all the money they owe me, which included £154 plus bank charges as they made me go overdrawn countless times even though I was told of a specific date it would come out. They took it whenever. Bank charges were in the 100’s. Now in 2019 still no refund. Oh but they did pay back one month of £14.99!! I spoke to them in length regarding this and requested they pay me my money they owe me and the bank charges. They said they would pay £134 and £25 compensation!! I think this is absolutely appalling considering the amount of time, money, emotional stress, Phone calls and overdrafts spent on this.

I emailed again and they got back to me months later and (After using someone else's name in the email, Yes they got my name wrong) said they would pay the £134 and £50 compensation and said they had sent it out in form of a cheque. They also included a link to another company to contact if I want to take my complaint further (Basically went on google and searched for a random company). I never agreed to this or accepted the dispute or complaint to be over. I know they cannot do this, So I am contacting their head office, solicitors, reviews, newspapers etc, As I already stated in an email back to them because honestly this whole company and the way they deal with their customers is completely and utterly vile!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2019

My SSN was stolen. Experian's employees are NOT helpful. Hang ups, rude tone, can't give you answer because they don t have the knowledge. Then you get permanently transferred to Costa Rica where the service is even worse. Shame on them.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I put a freeze on all my credit bureaus and am trying to unlock the freeze but have been unsuccessful to do so with Experian. I have called 4 different numbers and each time it is a recording that eventually hangs up on me! I've tried online and on the app but to no avail, still can't accomplish what should be an easy click of a button. This company obviously doesn't care about customer service or care about speaking to their customers. They are TERRIBLE!!! Avoid Experian at all cost! For two hours I have been trying to get this resolved and not once have been able to speak to a person or find a way to do this online. Complete and utterly frustrating!!!

Original review: May 20, 2019

At first Experian Boost acknowledged my bank and text a number to verify. They commenced scanning for paid bills but were unable to find any, I copied the details from my statement and pasted as requested but their Boost programme appeared to have frozen. I telephoned to find out what was happening and was informed that my bank was not yet included in their system and I should wait until it was... I do not understand why my bank was initially accepted.

I was also informed they only accept payments made online. My water company will only accept payments by cheque (which I do) or cash, neither of these will affect Boost although the cheques appear on my bank statement. I think this needs a lot of work before they continue advertising because they patently have problems. Their customers should not be conned into thinking it is quick and easy.... It is neither!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: May 20, 2019

I put a credit freeze on my account three years ago. I wanted to unfreeze my account so I could buy a car. It is not possible to talk to a real person, I was in hell trying to unfreeze this. When I finally thought it was done out of nowhere A recording came on with an 8 to 10 digit cancellation confirmation number and then hung up. There was no way to repeat and there was no warning that the number was about to be delivered. I tried to get hold of a real live human being for three hours and it was not possible. This is the worst website I have ever used. It is designed to get in the way of what you are trying to do. Sucks! The worst possible!

Original review: May 19, 2019

This is the worst credit report company you have to deal with. TransUnion and Equifax do not charge for security on your credit report, this company is charging 9.99 a mo or 24.99 for Gold version. Rip off! Now we have no option but to pay to protect our credit. There is NO Live Customer Support and you just get sent to the same voice mail queue for any phone number you call if you need help. They should be closed down. There is no need for 3 credit reporting companies. There's only more access to everyone's identity.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I put a freeze on my credit file when I thought my social security number had been stolen. I work for the state and in order to do my job I have to have access and clearance to particular websites to grant government benefits. I was locked out of the system because of the credit freeze. I thought no big deal. I'll just go online and unfreeze it. Nope! Experian made me mail a copy of my license and social security number and a utility bill, how is that safe?? They compromised my job which in turn was a domino effect for people that I could help. Experian has prevented me from doing my job. I am so mad right now. I just mailed what they needed. They better lift it ASAP so I can do my job. I can't even get anyone on the phone.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Of the three credit bureaus, Experian has acted to make the free credit freeze process painfully horrible. They are doing a disservice to consumers and irreparable brand damage. Online initiation does not work, they then direct you to send your most personal information and accounts to them by postal mail and wait months before and if you followed the maze correctly. There is no human contact available.

With no explanation and no one to contact the tele systems are a maze of frustration and wasted time. Credit freeze by phone worked with having to provide far less information than expected (scary) BUT they fail to supply your PIN, You must wait 10 days by mail...remember there is no human contact should you never get your PIN. I wish the Fed would shut these companies down. They profit by selling YOUR information and then they have the nerve to make you jump through hoops to manage it.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Used Experian to pull a credit report for an apartment I was applying to. Paid the $1.00 fee to obtain report. I haven't used the Experian website before, and found it a bit confusing. A week or so later I see a $21 charge to my credit card. Apparently I was signed up for the credit report membership that was not free. I had not a clue, I called asking for a refund explaining I intended to use the free one and had not realized I was put on the membership you had to pay for. The gentlemen said refunds were not allowed, even though the membership had just started TODAY. I cancelled my membership on the spot, I find this ridiculous especially for a first time user. Sneaky sneaky sneaky! I asked why I did have an email being sent to me about these charges, and he said it was in the terms and conditions. Experian promotes FREE REPORTS, but are sneaky little devils!

Original review: May 15, 2019

Total Visa was the #1 recommended credit card on my Experian credit report. I filled out the application with Total Visa and was approved. They require an $89 upfront fee. I have not paid the upfront fee yet. They send several emails each day threatening to cancel my approval if I do not activate the card. After several relentless emails, I searched online reviews and found an astonishing amount of BAD reviews for Total Visa ranging from fraudulent charges, incorrect balance reporting to credit companies to terrible customer service.

Why on earth would Experian recommend this card to me? I am trying to repair my credit. Total Visa Card is going to make it worse according to the people who have signed up for one. I need an explanation of the fraudulent charges and non reporting of correct balances before I sign anything. Total Visa: 19 BAD reviews, 2 good reviews (They seem very staged). The fine print clearly states I do not have to activate the card.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Help! Applying for a home loan, trying to sign up for Experian boost but my FDIC financial institution isn't listed on their website and my other one isn't currently supported. Contacted my bank. They say it's a problem on Experian's end. Emailed Experian but no response. Thanks.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I used a spare standby credit card to pay a $8 carwash. Through some confusing email from the underwriting bank I assumed this balance would be paid by ACH transfer from my checking account with them. That did not happen and the bank proceeded to report a series of delinquent reports to Experian which Experian used to reduced my credit report 100 points !! All for a mere $8 delinquency caused by a misunderstanding of an email sent me by my bank. My Bank was sympathetic and reversed all late charges and processed a transfer from my checking to clear up the $8 overdraft to zero the account.

My Bank said they would try to correct the O/D reports and the lower of my credit rating but suggested it would be better if I spoke directly to Experian about this issue. I spent an hour attempting to work my way through the Experian robot answering service doing keypad answers to a long series of questions but never getting to an option to address my concerns? If you pressed -0- hoping to get a live person Experian immediately hangs up on you. The worst Customer service I have ever experienced. This will be reported to the BBB!!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I tried to reach someone to ask how I should proceed, as someone fraudulently applied for a credit card with my info. I called every number listed on their website, to no avail. The worst one is the number given for Fraud. It gives you 2 choices and then hangs up on you. I don't think I have ever had a worse experience with an organization than this one. I have spent almost a half hour trying to reach a live person. I have no faith that they will protect my credit. HORRIBLE!

Original review: April 30, 2019

Absolutely horrible company. For a business in this day and age that has no email contact or support, options should be a big RED FLAG! Subscribed to boost, credit went down 40 points, no late payments, no explanation just did. WTH?

Original review: April 30, 2019

The Boost feature supposedly lets you add utilities bills to your membership to improve your score. I added my cable, gas and electric. They have never been late; however, within 3 days after adding the accounts a message in Experian said negative factors added three accounts. Why would you offer this feature if your site actually lowers your score for adding them? Plain stupid!

Secondly, I was checking that my personal information was correct and the site shows the last 4 digits of the SSN. It was wrong by a digit. I couldn't do a dispute online. It said to call 855-414-6048. I couldn't reach anyone from the menu options. It always disconnected me. I called during the hours they listed on the website as being open but no success. I called several other numbers (866-200-6020, 888-397-3742 & 800-493-1058) I located for Experian but no success. If there is a way to file a dispute against them for being unreachable and providing incorrect information that negatively affects a person's credit I would.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I am not, in any way associated with Experian Credit Monitoring, and do not want to be... That having been said, I am getting Emails from them about my Credit/FICO scores relentlessly, with no understanding of why. I was a member of a service called Credit Karma, which is I believe where they got ahold of me at, but I know I did not sign up for anything from these people, Trial or otherwise. So, where do they get off just stealing money from my bank account?? Last night a Pending Transaction was added to my Checking account, in the amount of -$24.99, which I did not recognize at all, with Experian Credit CA listed.

This is ridiculous, and it is becoming a nest of vipers, just to go online anymore, especially when established, legal corporations are coming to feed. I have forwarded the last Email I received from them to their support Email address, and requested to be removed from this unnecessary/pointless membership. I understand that once people/organizations like this have stolen your money, there is no way to get it back, but I want it to stop NOW. BE CAREFUL with Experian, and do not let them have any possible access to your banking information, or they will just enroll you in their programs, whether you sign up or not!!

Original review: April 30, 2019

First let me just say, we put our elected officials in office to serve us so why all the negative reviews about this company (that has all our important information) is falling on deaf ears is beyond comprehension. I was first tempted when I saw the commercial for the "Boost" but upon visiting experian.com/boost and saw that I had to give them access to my bank account, I decided against it. I did create an account so I could get the supposedly "free" credit report but I rejected the $1 7-day trial membership upgrade and selected "No, Keep My Current Membership". It then went to "Retrieving your Experian Credit Report." After about 17 minutes of so call "retrieving" it finally said "You have successfully signed out" then showed me 66 Partner offers of credit cards.

I tried 3 time and the end result was the same. The thing is, I have no choice but to live in this world, but I do not have to live of this world. Meaning, I can't live on a D-list budget but have an A-list eye. I've paid all my bills (electric, cable, phone, internet, car insurance, cell phone) on time, at least 2 weeks before the due dates and that should put me in good standing (or not) but I will NOT take out a credit card just to feel relevant or to keep repulsive and crooked companies like Experian in business. I just wish I could deactivate the account but that it is what it is. To ALL, avoid this crooked company!!!!

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have a 757 credit score but for diversity of credit use decided to add Experian Boost. I have been at the same residence for 10 years with the same utilities and NEVER a late payment. The Boost actually dropped my credit score by 8 points and Experian can't tell me why. This is such a joke, thank you very much for all of my perfect utility payments. I have lost all faith in Experian.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I was locked out of my account and given a number to call. Of course, there is no one there but some automated gibberish. I was calling because my Experian status was in dispute (a lender had charged me a fee they shouldn't have and it was recorded as a defaulted payment). Now... me ducks, how in the heck am I supposed to find out what my status is when you've locked me out without recourse?

Original review: April 25, 2019

I created an account last month and everything seemed fine. A few weeks ago I get an alert in my email informing me there has been updated to my credit report. I try to log in and am not able to. I got through all the prompts providing the necessary info to retrieve my username and passwords etc... until I get to the screen that informs me I will be getting an email to regain access and to give it at least 15 minutes and to also check my spam folder. I have done this whole process nearly 20 times in the last few weeks.

I have got got one email regarding getting access to my account. Yet I still get a few emails a day telling me there has been new updates and changes to my credit. I can't get a customer service rep on the line and when I respond to the emails I get a generic message telling me how important I am and someone will get back to me soon. Starting to feel like this is a scam. I provided a bunch of personal info and now can't even access the account. This is so frustrated!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I used to use Experian for my credit score checking, but now with the new "Boost" in existence, although I haven't used Boost, Experian lowered my score by 15 points. Not cool at all. I have unsubscribed from their emails and I sure hope the other credit reporting agencies don't start with the Boost nonsense.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I tried to sign up online to get my info since the IRS only uses their service to sign up online with their website. It did not work so I called and got an agent. He told me I was asked my security questions already so he could not validate me. I told him I did not do any security questions. It said, "Oops sorry," and to contact them. I just hung up because this is bullcrap and I don't even know why the IRS uses them.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I'm applying for a mortgage and my lender couldn't access my Experian report, so he advised me to give them a call. After 8 minutes of listening to the phone tree and pushing buttons, I was finally given to a woman across the ocean who spoke terrible English and snapped at me when I asked her (very politely) to repeat herself. She asked me several questions to verify my account, but since her English was so awful I couldn't understand what she was asking me so I failed the security questions. I know she was as annoyed as I was, and this is her job so she probably deals with this all the time, but in truth, I don't blame her so much as I blame the company who hired her.

I am so frustrated. It's not like I'm ordering a pizza, I need to know why there's a glitch in my account. I don't care if someone is from another country, but the language barrier is nearly impossible to get past when you're dealing with such an important matter. For Experian to outsource their clients to another country that hires people with little to no experience is not just cheap on their part, it shows us that they don't care enough about our issues to put us in touch with someone who can help us in a timely manner. Now, thanks to them hiring cheap, unqualified labor I will either have to call back and listen to another 8 minutes of a recording and push buttons or write a letter detailing my concerns. I would prefer not to do either, I would have liked my issue to already be resolved. Shame on you, Experian, for not caring about your clients.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I downgraded our Experian account to free and was charged the $21.95 anyway. Went through chat to get a refund so I had written proof. They granted my refund request for 3-5 business days and I never received it. Just tried chatting with them again and the customer service rep closed the chat on me. It may not seem like a lot to them but I no longer need the service. Will keep an eye on my account to see if I am billed again. Credit report from them is not worth this hassle.

Original review: April 23, 2019

4/20/19: After MANY attempts to talk to a live person at Experian (their 800 number does NOT give an option to talk to a human) I finally get Ana in the "Titans" group who takes my credit card number and promises to send me an expedited PIN number that will ship out on Monday, April 22 to arrive Tuesday, April 23, 2019. It is now April 23, 2019 at 4:39pm and nothing has arrived, and nothing will. I checked my credit card and nothing was charged on 4/22-there should have been a $20 charge for the expedited PIN shipment.

Just now, on 4/23/19 I have spent over 30 minutes trying numbers and searching the internet for a way to get in touch with an actual human at Experian, it is next to impossible. An automated line asks for your SS# and zip code then gives you limited options, NEVER does it offer a human. By a stroke of luck I found another number: 1-714-830-7000 but had to press a "corporate" button, and finally got a RUDE human who had to transfer me to the regular consumer number. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Luis, who I was finally connected with at Experian today, said that Ana from the Titans group NEVER ordered my expedited PIN to be shipped to me. He promises that he has and it will go out tonight and I should have it by tomorrow morning. ALSO-the credit/freeze section of the website is a piece of crap and says that I am not allowed to retrieve my PIN, thus FORCING ME to pay $20 for expedited shipping so I do not have to wait 10 days for the US Mail to bring it to me for 50 cents. EXPERIAN IS THE WORST! THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT CONSUMERS!!!

Original review: April 22, 2019

I'm not happy. My score with them is 60 points less than the other two credit agencies and this is bringing my average way down. I tried their Boost program in the hopes of raising my score with them but it can't link up to my bank. It's not right to force someone to use something they offer just to try for a higher score.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This is one of the worst customer support experiences I have had. They offer a chat with customer service, which never seems to work. When I call their customer service number, it says there are too many callers and that I need to call back later. There is no apparent way to contact them via email, I did find an email address on their website but no one has responded to me. I paid for a month of this service and many features they claim to be a benefit are either false or just flat out do not work.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I called Experian to dispute an erroneous collection claim. The bill had been paid online months earlier and I had the documentation to prove it. I spoke with a customer service rep who guided me to the upload site for Experian so that I could submit my documentation. It did not work. I got a series of error messages saying everything from the file being too large to my upload timing out, and each new error message was invalid. I called Experian back and the new rep told me to try a different browser, which I did, but the results were still the same. They told me to fill out their submission form and mail in my documentation which in and of itself wouldn't be a problem. But they also required that I include a copy of my social security card, drivers license and several other revealing items of proof. Talk about a security risk! Why would I send all that personal information via snail mail?

I called back a third time and spoke with yet another representative who repeated the same information back to me. It is ridiculous that Experian's website does not work properly. This is not the first time I have encountered this. It was equally frustrating when I tried to put a freeze on my account after they were hacked last year. This company is in and of itself a security risk. I don't understand why they are not accountable or regulated appropriately and why there is no way to contact them with a consumer complaint. There is not so much as an email address with which to contact them and file a complaint. I am incredibly frustrated and will do whatever I can to restrict my interaction with this bogus credit bureau.

Original review: April 17, 2019

It sounds like a pretty good offer when it’s 1st delivered to you. However, When you cancel your subscription online and assume you're NOT going to be charged the monthly fee of $21.95 you will later discover that Experian will start billing you anyway. How they do it is, they have your "authority" to be billed $1 to access your credit report and informing you that if you fail to cancel the subscription within 7 days, you authorize Experian to bill you monthly at a rate of $21.95. Sounds legit except unless you take a screenshot of the cancellation statement you have no proof that you requested a cancellation within the agreed upon time frame (7 days) you will miraculously start getting charged.

How is this so successful, you ask? They wait for several months before they start charging you. The time lapse between you cancelling and the billing to start taking effect causes you to believe all is good. Basically you let your guard down because you check the 1st month after canceling and there is no charge so you assume all is good. Wrong!!!! I called them and told them that this is an awful business practice and all I received in return was...."Okay". DO NOT GIVE THEM ACCESS TO YOUR BANKING INFORMATION!!!

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg