Experian

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Do not use this company to check your credit. The reviews below are true. They will get your credit card number with the $1 charge to check your credit then make unauthorized charges every month. If you call them to ask why they are charging you they refuse to refund you and fraudulently tell you that you signed up for membership. Misrepresentation. Fraud. Should be shut down.

Fraud! Awful with very pushy designed website, they push you to click and get $39.9 report that you don't need. and then starts $21 monthly charges. Be careful!! I'm so mad at this company, they lied and mislead you into getting your credit report for $1 dollar. Next thing you know they have your cc info and $1 dollar transforms into a charge of $39.99. BE CAREFUL ANYONE TRYING TO GET YOUR CREDIT REPORT THRU EXPERIAN. They lie just to get to give them your cc info, stick with Credit Karma!!!

I have joined a lot of online companies and Experian takes the cake. Nowhere was it made clear I was going to get a monthly charge for a membership. I didn't realize I was even being charged until someone used my card number and cancelled my card. I had to pay the $43 I owed them just to sign in and cancel my account. Just like a used car salesman in a cheap plaid suit.

I did not subscribe to Experian or request a free credit score. I began receiving subscription charges on my credit card. I changed my card number and the charges appeared on the new card. My card account now blocks Experian. Possibly either Experian is being hacked or they assumed some kind of negative consent when a third party requested my score.

Updated on 03/21/2017: Called customer service and after an hour on hold I got a helpful person who closed my accounts and discovered an account using my credit card under another name. Experian closed that account. They did not indicate they would forward that information to law enforcement. So on one hand they got hacked, but the customer service person was professional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

I only asked for one time credit score and for some reason they charged me 49$ for a membership. I called back (waited 2h to get someone) and finally they refund me back the money. Then, a month later I noticed that they charged me 19.95$, called back again and waited another 1h to get someone. She told me that I was an active client (even though I never asked to be a client) and she cannot refund the 19.95. Those people are a real scam. They are forcing people to become members and try to steal as much as they can. I hate hate hate this company. Please if you are reading this, do me a favor and go somewhere else, I don't want you to feel the same.

I went on to check my credit, and it said for $1.00 get your score. Then they charged me for a membership. I called asked for my money back. They refused said I had 7 days to cancel. Cancel I did want it to begin with. It's a gimmick to make money. They know the average person will not remember to go back in seven days to cancel it. We have a lot more important things to worry about. It's a gimmick to make money off of people. That's all it is. It's a shame that they take advantage of people who are trying to do something right to straighten out their credit so they can apply for a home loan and they make money off of them by "oh you get something for a dollar but we're going to charge you for monitoring everything and we're going to continue to charge you every month till you realize it."

Well I'm here to tell you if I see one more deduction from my checking account from experience and from this day on after them saying I can't get my money back but they will shut down the account I will take them to court and sue them and I will win on the grounds that elderly people don't always understand everything and sometimes their minds don't remember to go back and stop something in seven days. Good Lord some days I can't remember what I had for breakfast much less seven days from now. It's a gimmick to make money that's all it is. I'm sick and tired of people and the gimmicks to make money.

Wow. Just like everyone else I can't get this ** company to stop charging my account. If you call they put you on hold for an hour. ** this scam. How the ** are they an allowed to ** operate??? I'm going to start a business like this because apparently this is legal robbery.

I joined Experian to keep track of my credit scores and get my reports, well within a couple of months my credit score went from downhill. After I had joined my husband told me he'd heard from several people that their credit score went down. I quit them. Instead of helping people they hurt them... NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO THIS AND I WILL TELL PEOPLE NOT TO JOIN ANY OF THESE! Went from 800's to very low 700's sucks.

Again they say for $1 then 2 months later I see they have pulled $24, then if you don't take off the auto subscribe they have somehow a legal right to continue charging you for services that you never see. They send you nothing for this service! Then I cancelled a year prior and they said conveniently there is no required and I am lucky to be receiving the $24 back for the past month. I am tired of these scam companies ruining your credit further when we barely scrape by, we really should sue them, this shouldn't happen. There needs to be more accountability, if some poor schmuck went and stole a loaf of bread, he'd be in jail forever whereas these scam companies are protected because they know you can't afford to take them to court!

Like so many of the other reviewers, I agreed to a credit report ostensibly for $1.09, and was unknowingly signed up for a credit monitoring service for $23.84/month. Upon receiving my credit card statement, I immediately phoned the company, and was put on hold for 30+ minutes, only to have a refund refused. I spoke to an unapologetic supervisor who acknowledged being aware of the company's 1200+ terrible online reviews, and essentially told me that the monthly charge was included in the fine print. When I pointed out that well over 1000 people have made the same complaint online and Experian has been obviously, knowingly misleading people, she just repeated that I had clicked on the form and therefore agreed to it. Nonrefundable. Experian is clearly making all of its real profits from a blatant bait and switch, and essentially stealing. Absolutely despicable, deceitful behavior.

Signed up for a simple credit score report for $1. and change and after 7 days was automatically signed up for a membership. They are now taking 23.90 from your account each month. I talked with them about it. They said they would give me one month back. They had charged me 5 months. I feel like I was scammed. They realize people forget about canceling the account and start charging you. Do NOT use this company.

I consented to a 7 day membership with Experian for $1. I logged in to cancel the account about 4 days later. There was no option to do so nor was I able to use the service. Now they bill me 21.95 for a service that I not only didn't consent to but I also can't use the service. And they refuse to refund my money. This has to be some type of crime.

I have tried to dispute the hidden monthly charges of $21.95 from when I paid $1 to access my credit score when I was trying to buy a home. I have had no luck with any sort of refund, and I see that this is VERY common. I am hoping that there will be a class action lawsuit against them. We should all raise some hell, because they are making a KILLING off of ripping us off. Experian: you owe me $109.75 for the 5 months I wasn't aware of you charging me for an account I NEVER signed up for, or used, or received emails from... nothing. You are SHADY ASS CROOKS.

I have been on the phone with Experian every month since August 2016, around the 14th of every month trying to get a 19.99 dollar charge reversed and account closed. Every month they refund my money and the very next month I have a new 19.99 charge. This service is becoming a harassment to me and my family. EVERY month I have to call. They tell me the charge will be reversed, which it is and every month they tell me the account is closed. But around the 14th of every month I get a new charge and have to call them to complain. I feel like they do this to a lot of people and most do not watch their money as close so they steal a lot of money from a lot of people. I am on a fixed income and cannot just let them steal my money. I probably will get another 19.99 charge in March 2017 and I will have to call and complain again. They really don't care about customers and the money they steal every month, if you don't complain.

I would not recommend using Experian, as they advertise for the $1 credit report, and then 5 days later charge your account $21.95 for a membership that you don't want. And then you call to dispute and they say there is nothing they can do as it's non-refundable, and quite frankly they are not sincere about it. I would never recommend Experian to anyone and would hope people read these reviews before trying.

I just realized that I had three charges on my credit card from Experian for a "membership" to some credit monitoring service. Apparently, back in October/November when I was checking my credit report and purchased my FICO score online from Experian for $4.97 I didn't realize that somewhere hidden in the fine print, I was also purchasing a monthly service/membership. I was never alerted to the fact that I was actually making a membership purchase, nor that I was purchasing anything other than the FICO score for the $4.97. I called the customer service and they only offered to refund one of the three charges and I demanded that my membership be canceled. I think that the consumer protection agencies in this country should penalize these companies and especially when it is something so delicate as my credit score, they should not be trying to make money off of this.

There should be much more regulation of these kinds of sneaky and misleading practices. I would not trust Experian with my credit score or my money. Who knows who else is paying them to manipulate all of our scores one way or the other as they see fit for profit. I hope the government starts to see that consumers need to come first and these companies should not be reaping a profit. In fact, this is not a for-profit service they should be doing, the government should take this on so that there are no hidden interests involved. Do not buy the credit tracking service from Experian and if you need to know your FICO score, know that they will try to cheat you with this tactic.

I signed up to their free credit score early january 2017 online and left my debit card details as a requirement for the monthly fee after the 30 days free membership. Then I began to see their posters advertising that Experian is NOW FREE FOREVER FOR EVERYONE, so I did not worry about having to log in and cancel my membership as I understood it as now being free. However the money £14.99 was still taken from my account. So it is not free, then?

When I called Experian they explained to me that I joined on a different type of membership hence their charges. I explained how this is misleading and their customer rep has confirmed they have had a lot of calls like mine where people felt mislead. I asked for a refund but the best they were able to do was to cancel my membership and wait a response to my complaint. This stops me briefly having access to CreditMatcher, which is the actual free membership. Experian need to be clearer in their adverts.

Like many of the other victims who posted on this site, I signed up for a credit report on freecreditreport.com, and ultimately paid $1 to receive my report. Using deceptive practices (hiding their practice of signing you up for a 7 day trial after which you're charged $23.90/mo in obscure language in the terms and conditions), they signed me up for automatic payments without my knowledge. I unfortunately only discovered months later that they had taking $23.90/mo from my account.

Once you discover the deception, they make it difficult for you to cancel, requiring you to call (which was a 35 minute wait). When I explained my upset, there was no apology, nor agreement to a refund, as they must get these calls on a regular basis. He only claimed that there was a notice of the trial period when I signed up. Looking at the original confirmation email I receive - I saw no such notice. They really should be held accountable for these unscrupulous business practices that scam many unknowing customers out of their hard earned money in the ironic name of credit safety.

For over a decade I've had a membership with Experian. I was charged a reoccurring fee of $ 4.95 a month (receiving alerts, etc). While doing my finances, I noticed they started charging me $24.99 a month, and had been doing so for the past five months. I was never notified of the rate hike. I called customer service to cancel my membership, the customers service rep, named Mario, acknowledged that I had not been notified and tried to get my discounted rate back. The best he could do was $8.00 a month and a one month refund of $24.99. I'm absolutely shocked that a company as important as a credit reporting agency can/would be able to take advantage of a loyal customer such as myself. Shame on you Experian!

Wish I could give 0 stars! I was charged without my permission or knowledge $43 in January 2017. When I called and asked why I am being charged for a free report, they said it was because I logged in to check my credit in August 2016... WHAT!?! This is fraud!! This company is crooked!!

I just saw a charge on my credit card for $24.99 from Experian and asked my fiance to further investigate. I know that we decided to order a free credit report last May before we got engaged. At that time, we paid the extra $1 to find out my score. After calling Experian tonight we found out that when we paid the $1 for the score, we were enrolled in a monthly billing of $24.99 that we were not aware of signing up for. This is a scam. We only paid the $1 to see the score, not to enroll in a monthly membership.

Experian needs to change their website and billing system. We should have received an email showing that we were being charged every month. Experian needs to refund us the monthly fees that we were being charged from May through December 2016. We had no idea this fee was being charged and feel like we have been totally scammed by a credit bureau. Credit Bureau are supposed to help people better their credit score, not hurt them financially. The manager was only allowed to refund the month of December. We have requested for May through December to be refunded.

I was denied a loan, despite my credit score being 802-804 including the most recent Experian FICO score. When I inquired with Experian (seeing their name on the reason for Denial), they recommended that I pay $1.00 for a credit report. This was completely unhelpful. I was later charged $21.95 for no reason, and have had no success on getting a refund. I never found out the reason that my loan was declined, was swindled out of a dollar (since credit scores, I have learned, are completely free), and then later charged for no reason. Unethical, to say the least.

I received 3 charges of $21.9540 for membership and then another $39.95 charge for a credit report. I did not intend to sign up for a membership or purchase a credit report. I am not a careless person. The site is set up up intentionally to scam people. It is unbelievable for such a large and well-known company. They should be ashamed.

They confirmed that there was a fraud on my report. A collection that they agreed is not mine, yet they will not remove it. They claim that since I live in the same city as the hospital that I never used I might have been to that hospital. I was NEVER at that hospital so the $501 collection is still on my report. Experian is very dishonest. If I could give them lower score I would.

Experian is misleading consumers!!! My story: I signed up for a 1.00 report and starting to receive monthly fees for "membership" that I wasn't aware of. Nor did I approve. I did see on my credit card statement that I was being charged unknowingly. And disputed through American Express. I did receive a refund but only for a month and I was still continued to be charged. Bottom line: I didn't have a membership - or did I approved this membership. Monthly fees of 24.99 hit my account every month. I called today to speak to a Escalation team, Karabel but he would only give me one month 24.99 refund and was told they would stop the billing the monthly membership. Although he stated it was in the fine print of the $1.00 sign up of only 7 days. And I needed cancel it.

They take advantage of this because of busy consumers who don't have time to monitor every small charges that hit their statements. They might as well be hackers that hit millions of people to steal your money for something that is not being used or you approved. I wonder how many Experian members -- actually agreed to the membership or even use it? Probably thousands - I would imagine. Perhaps they need a quota, similar to banks by opening fake accounts. Experian is a great disappointment. I hope this company can be honest and straight forth with consumers going forward.

Today I noticed that I have been charged a $21.95 fee for three months for your FREE CREDIT REPORT services. I contacted your company and spoke to two individuals. The last lady I spoke to was a supervisor by the name of Claudia. She was extremely rude and unprofessional. I was told that I had signed up for a seven-day trial only and that it is clearly marked that after the seven-day trial I would be billed monthly for your services. Services for what? Who wants a credit report every month?

I got back on your website to look at the process of your FREE CREDIT REPORT and on a cell phone your warnings are not noticeable. I have searched my email and every email from your company was in the junk mail which is automatically kicked over from my internet provider labeling it as junk and therefore removed as spam. After further digging on the internet I have noticed that this seems a huge issues with a lot of consumers who believe they are getting nothing more than a FREE CREDIT REPORT.

I have contacted my credit card company to dispute these charges and I am requesting that you refund my credit card back 100% of these charges. Your company should be ashamed of yourselves especially advertising free credit reports to trusting people. I am unsure why there has not been a class action suit filed against your company yet. Upon my boss's return, I will give him all the facts and pages upon pages of complaints against your company for the same issue and then move forward legally if I have to. I expect to hear a response from your company by the close of business on January 2, 2017.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT make an Experian account. You will be overcharged without any notice and none of it will be refunded to you. They attract customers by advertising free credit reports but then they make you sign a deal with the devil. Among the many requirements that they will require you agree upon, a monthly fee will be camouflaged and hidden in it for "benefits" that are of no use. Basically, they are modern day thieves and run on defying people to steal their money using false advertising.

I requested a credit report in April, 2016 for which the website said I would be charged $1. I was very careful not to check any boxes that would subscribe to their services or subject myself to any repeating charges. Nonetheless, several days after the $1 charge, I was charged $23.57 by Experian. I did not notice this charge, and Experian continued to charge me monthly, raising the charge to $26.83 a few months later. I finally noticed the charge in December, at which time I had paid $229.43 in illegally charged items. I called the company to complain. They refused to do anything other than cancel the so-called "membership" that I had never authorized. I see others here have had similar experiences. This company is committing out-and-out fraud. It should be shut down and the principals should be jailed.

I requested my credit for $1.00 and sent an email requesting cancellation on the 7th day as per the offer. No one could find the cancellation and charged me an additional $21.95 for the following month. I asked to immediately cancel my membership and the agent suggested to use it until the end of the month which I refused. I told him to cancel it immediately. This is a scam by a company that is supposed to be helping individuals with their credit history.

Compare Credit Report Sites