Experian

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased the Experian membership. I called Experian to follow up on some unauthorized installment loan inquiries that were reflecting negatively on my report. Prior to this call I disputed these transactions through the financial institution who submitted the unauthorized inquiry. I submitted the error/removal letter they sent me, to Experian stating the inquiries were in error and needed to be suppressed. After verifying my personal information and explaining my problem to 4 different Experian reps, the last rep disconnected me. I called back and it started to in the same pattern "let me transfer you to dispute specialist".

3 representatives into this call I asked for a manager. Ken, manager of Team Paragon got on the phone. I explained how these inquiries were not authorized and how I had placed my account on "block" to prevent more fraudulent inquiries but needed to have the others removed. He found the letter I provided from the financial institute. But said that he won't delete the negative hard inquiry errors from my report because I used them as a bank. And I repeated that I never applied for loans on those inquires and I had the letter from that confirming I was in error and they would be suppressed. But they were still there and not removed. I also asked him if he was aware of the federal laws (FCRA) protecting people from this type of stuff? He said this situation does not apply.

I repeated that they didn't have my approval to pull a hard inquiry. He stuck it's his answer and I said, "So what I'm hearing you say is that anyone can pull a hard inquiry against my credit without my permission?" He said, "Yes, if it's in their best interest they can." I couldn't believe what I was hearing from management in the Dispute Department of the bureau. I said "in their best interest for what? I wasn't applying for any financing through them. And this inquiry is damaging my score." He stuck to his guns and I asked for his employee number. Even after providing proof that the report was incorrect, I was told it would stay the same.

Experian has been charging my credit card $20/month (Plus $40 initially) without my knowledge since August of 2016. This company advertises a $1 credit report and then proceeds to continue to charge people for a membership that they did not actually sign up for. I was able to retrieve about 25% of what they took from me, but this company is basically a scam.

I, like so many others who seem to have been duped by this company, gave my dollar for my credit report. Unbeknownst to me, my credit card was being charged 23.99 each month. This happened for 6 months. Now, I'll take culpability for not checking my statement but this "reputable " company, does nothing to help the consumer. I called and spoke with a customer service representative and repeatedly asked to speak with a supervisor. After 30 minutes waiting for said supervisor, I was finally able to get through to Javora. Javora stated their company has no fault and I am basically still being charged for May. What a corrupt system! DO NOT USE EXPERIAN.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Just like previous reviews, I feel tricked by using the Experian website. My goal was to see my credit score one time and in order to do that I paid the $1 to sign up for the free trial. No word ever from them again that they were charging my card $21.95. Also, I was charged $39.95 after apparently clicking that I wanted to see my FICO score. Throughout this whole process I was not notified in advance of my card being charged and only realized it when I went to pay my credit card bill. I called customer service to cancel the membership and asked for a refund. The woman refused and showed very little initiative to help the situation, giving me the feeling that this is a rather common occurrence.

I will NEVER use Experian again and as a word of advice, if you do, read every single word of the fine print because who knows what they will charge your card for without asking permission. I feel shocked that this company is as successful as it is when it does these types of arrangements. To me, it is very deceptive and I hope in the future they learn to be much more upfront and clear with what they are charging you with. I'm baffled that I didn't receive any mail or emails warning me in advance that these charges were going to occur... I'm just glad I keep up to date with credit card transactions or it could've been a LOT worse. What's so good about this site to charge $21.95 and then $39.95 anyway??? Waste of time and money.

Similar experience to other consumers. Experian does not tell you they are signing you up for a 7 day free trial when they give you a free credit report. They then bill your CC for a $21.95 monthly fee 7 days later. I saw this 3 days after the charge posted. I talked to a Experian rep and then was on hold for 25 minutes to talk to a manager and both refused to refund my money. I just said I didn't want the service and I had no intention of signing up for it.

It was weird the whole time. They asked me questions like "Do you remember giving us a CC? Do you remember authorizing us to charge your card a $1." It was like they didn't know what their own signup process was. It felt like they were trying to find the best way to trick you into signing up for their service. It is from a credit agency too... The whole conversation just didn't feel very good when it's coming from someone who is trying to help prevent fraud. I ended up just sucking it up and saying cancel me, and eating the $21.95. Just want other people to be aware though and watch out for this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Experian is a den of thieves! I am a disabled senior and have to make my (measly) disability check go as far as possible. I made the mistake of thinking Experian was a reputable company. I went on their site to get my FREE annual credit report, they asked if I wanted to see the other two credit bureaus' reports, which are also FREE. My credit card came in with a $39.95 fee! That's one week of groceries... No way would I have agreed to pay that for FREE credit reports. They then charged another $21.95 for nothing!!! When I called to complain, all they were willing to do was cancel my subscription so I would not be charged recurring fees in the future. I'd be happy to be part of a class-action lawsuit against this unethical company if the rest of you who've been ripped off are interested. Too bad we can't give a 0 star rating.

I got some lazy moron with a poured on Southern accent who called me ma'am and told me that neither my husband nor I had an account, which is BS. What happened to customer service? How do people get these jobs? She was horrible.

Letter from Experian saying a change to name, address, or SSN was reported to Experian by a creditor. Can't talk to anyone using the two numbers in the letter. Experian says to run the credit report, which I did, however the only place your info is listed is under My Personal Information, none of the report for each creditor contains your name/address/SSN so it's totally useless (re: the letter). The person I spoke to said it might be as insignificant as them (creditor) using CT or COURT. Bottom line Experian can't/won't tell you who/what the change was. In this day/age of accounts being hacked, their letter causes excessive concern for a non-event...4

When I paid $1 to obtain my FICO score with Experian, they automatically sign you up for a 7 day trial period for their credit monitoring service and automatically a monthly service at $21.95 per month after the 7 day trial period. I was unaware of this automatic sign up service. The first correspondence from Experian to me was after the 7 day trial period and after they billed my credit card for $21.95. I called Experian and cancelled the service and asked for a refund. The first person claimed that they could not refund my money. I then talked to the manager, and the manager could not refund my money and said that no one in Experian could refund the money. Apart from being bad business practice, this business practice is clearly deceptive.

I visited Experian just to get one credit report at the time. Little did I know that their site signed me up for their membership without my permission, and billed my card for 21.95 for several months. Extremely unhappy with this shady company. I will not be visiting this site ever again.

If you have a credit age history of less than 6 months Experian generates NO CREDIT SCORE for you in their one time credit report & score purchase. You can see your Transunion & Equifax for free on Credit Karma and funny-- I have actual credit score numbers with them! Also they refuse to let Rent Reporters report your good long standing rental history that shows you pay/paid your rent on time and boosts your credit age. They only allow rental history to be added if your landlord pays one their approved partners to do so and it's not a retroactive look back at your payment history. This company is a total rip-off. I paid 19.95 and expected to see an actual credit score number as I do with the other two bureaus for FREE.

Like other reviewers, I didn't see the small print on the very first page. It is not where you would expect to see such information. It appears more like a 'click-thru' page to see if you want to look into this further. This was clearly set up in this manner based on the available knowledge of a typical computer user's behavior. Very unethical. A company that sets something like this up, and LEAVES it up after many people report feeling mislead, is being intentionally dishonest. Stay away.

Don't use this company! I signed up for Experian credit monitoring services and my credit card started getting charged for all kinds of services I didn't order. Who is the identity thief? Anyway I immediately cancelled my membership and received a cancellation number. The next day after canceling I received another charge on my credit card. I tried calling Experian customer service and after 3 attempts at over an hour each someone answered. They informed me that my membership was not cancelled. I explained that I had a cancellation number but that didn't seem to matter. They told me that they would credit the most recent charge but not the previous charges because "there is no way to do that in the system". What a rip off. I signed up with another company and so far it has been great.

I have experienced the ongoing fraud from Experian, as they are using the terms and conditions of an online transaction, such as the purchase of a credit report, to add and hide a very different transaction, such as a monthly subscription plan at $21.95. Without my clear consent, they collected payments for 3 months out of my bank account, furthermore without receipt of the transaction or email to communicate the cost and terms of the product they claim I purchased by agreeing to the terms of a different transaction. They first refused to refund any of the monthly payments. But when I told them that I contacted a lawyer to see if there is a case for class action, they refunded everything by the same day. Today, we are 1,216 consumers who posted about this ongoing fraud. There is a case for class action.

I needed to check my credit score and Experian had a $1 offer. I signed up for that and I thought I was done with Experian at that point. Then a week later I see a $20.95 on my credit card from Experian. I started searching around and realized that somehow they signed me up for a monthly membership subscription that I did NOT know about and could care less for. They must have had that in super tiny print somewhere when I paid for that $1 credit report. I was really angry by how sneaky they were!!!

Luckily, when I called the next morning they answered right away (NO waiting time) and they agreed to refund the money instantly and to close my account. It was very easy. So they basically lure people in with this $1 offer and then sign people up for this BS monthly subscription "membership" without them noticing. Nasty dirty tricksters!!! They're basically trying their luck as I'm sure that many people would get fooled by this for years with charges on their cards. Unfortunately, this kind of deception is entirely legal. :(

I reviewed my score online with Experian Service and found out that it was 100 points off. Also I get cut off in the middle of a call. They take forever to get to you and have no knowledge of the products they offer, I would almost call them a scam. If I could give no stars I would.

Like others here, I am extremely disappointed with Experian's fraudulent credit card charges for those seeking credit reports. I highly encourage those who have similar issues with Experian to register complaints with the CFBP: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/.

Experian wanted to charge me a fee to put a one-year active-duty security alert on my report. They tried to blame the fee on the state that I live in. However, when I told them that TransUnion and Equifax did not charge me the fee, the customer service rep put me on hold for extended periods of time and then finally decided to transfer me to the Dispute Department even after I told her that I did not have a dispute on my credit report. That I was questioning why EXPERIAN would charge me a fee when the other two companies did not. I continually got the run-around. This company and the other reviews that I see on this website, they are horrible. This company is nothing but crap!

Don't use Experian! I did my FREE credit report for myself and my husband in January of 2017. I thought I paid $1 and $39.95, but then started getting billed monthly fees of $21.95 and $24.99!!! When I called they said when I got my FREE credit report there was something in the small print that said I was enrolling in their scammy monthly account. SCAM!!! Don't use Experian!

Do not use this company to check your credit. The reviews below are true. They will get your credit card number with the $1 charge to check your credit then make unauthorized charges every month. If you call them to ask why they are charging you they refuse to refund you and fraudulently tell you that you signed up for membership. Misrepresentation. Fraud. Should be shut down.

Fraud! Awful with very pushy designed website, they push you to click and get $39.9 report that you don't need. and then starts $21 monthly charges. Be careful!! I'm so mad at this company, they lied and mislead you into getting your credit report for $1 dollar. Next thing you know they have your cc info and $1 dollar transforms into a charge of $39.99. BE CAREFUL ANYONE TRYING TO GET YOUR CREDIT REPORT THRU EXPERIAN. They lie just to get to give them your cc info, stick with Credit Karma!!!

I have joined a lot of online companies and Experian takes the cake. Nowhere was it made clear I was going to get a monthly charge for a membership. I didn't realize I was even being charged until someone used my card number and cancelled my card. I had to pay the $43 I owed them just to sign in and cancel my account. Just like a used car salesman in a cheap plaid suit.

I did not subscribe to Experian or request a free credit score. I began receiving subscription charges on my credit card. I changed my card number and the charges appeared on the new card. My card account now blocks Experian. Possibly either Experian is being hacked or they assumed some kind of negative consent when a third party requested my score.

Updated on 03/21/2017: Called customer service and after an hour on hold I got a helpful person who closed my accounts and discovered an account using my credit card under another name. Experian closed that account. They did not indicate they would forward that information to law enforcement. So on one hand they got hacked, but the customer service person was professional.

I only asked for one time credit score and for some reason they charged me 49$ for a membership. I called back (waited 2h to get someone) and finally they refund me back the money. Then, a month later I noticed that they charged me 19.95$, called back again and waited another 1h to get someone. She told me that I was an active client (even though I never asked to be a client) and she cannot refund the 19.95. Those people are a real scam. They are forcing people to become members and try to steal as much as they can. I hate hate hate this company. Please if you are reading this, do me a favor and go somewhere else, I don't want you to feel the same.

I went on to check my credit, and it said for $1.00 get your score. Then they charged me for a membership. I called asked for my money back. They refused said I had 7 days to cancel. Cancel I did want it to begin with. It's a gimmick to make money. They know the average person will not remember to go back in seven days to cancel it. We have a lot more important things to worry about. It's a gimmick to make money off of people. That's all it is. It's a shame that they take advantage of people who are trying to do something right to straighten out their credit so they can apply for a home loan and they make money off of them by "oh you get something for a dollar but we're going to charge you for monitoring everything and we're going to continue to charge you every month till you realize it."

Well I'm here to tell you if I see one more deduction from my checking account from experience and from this day on after them saying I can't get my money back but they will shut down the account I will take them to court and sue them and I will win on the grounds that elderly people don't always understand everything and sometimes their minds don't remember to go back and stop something in seven days. Good Lord some days I can't remember what I had for breakfast much less seven days from now. It's a gimmick to make money that's all it is. I'm sick and tired of people and the gimmicks to make money.

Wow. Just like everyone else I can't get this ** company to stop charging my account. If you call they put you on hold for an hour. ** this scam. How the ** are they an allowed to ** operate??? I'm going to start a business like this because apparently this is legal robbery.

I joined Experian to keep track of my credit scores and get my reports, well within a couple of months my credit score went from downhill. After I had joined my husband told me he'd heard from several people that their credit score went down. I quit them. Instead of helping people they hurt them... NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO THIS AND I WILL TELL PEOPLE NOT TO JOIN ANY OF THESE! Went from 800's to very low 700's sucks.

Again they say for $1 then 2 months later I see they have pulled $24, then if you don't take off the auto subscribe they have somehow a legal right to continue charging you for services that you never see. They send you nothing for this service! Then I cancelled a year prior and they said conveniently there is no required and I am lucky to be receiving the $24 back for the past month. I am tired of these scam companies ruining your credit further when we barely scrape by, we really should sue them, this shouldn't happen. There needs to be more accountability, if some poor schmuck went and stole a loaf of bread, he'd be in jail forever whereas these scam companies are protected because they know you can't afford to take them to court!

Like so many of the other reviewers, I agreed to a credit report ostensibly for $1.09, and was unknowingly signed up for a credit monitoring service for $23.84/month. Upon receiving my credit card statement, I immediately phoned the company, and was put on hold for 30+ minutes, only to have a refund refused. I spoke to an unapologetic supervisor who acknowledged being aware of the company's 1200+ terrible online reviews, and essentially told me that the monthly charge was included in the fine print. When I pointed out that well over 1000 people have made the same complaint online and Experian has been obviously, knowingly misleading people, she just repeated that I had clicked on the form and therefore agreed to it. Nonrefundable. Experian is clearly making all of its real profits from a blatant bait and switch, and essentially stealing. Absolutely despicable, deceitful behavior.

Compare Credit Report Sites