1.07/5
Based on 162 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 15, 2018

1402 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 15, 2018

I signed up for the membership when we were buying a house to know our credit score. Since then I've cancelled all the accounts mine and my husband's. But they keep on charging 21.95 for over a year. We can't access any of our online accounts as it always said that no accounts with these credential exist. Today finally I got a representative on the phone who told me that my husband's account is still active and asked for the CC, which I gave him right away cause they are charging my CC. So I requested a refund, rep said I need to speak with the manager, manager turned out to be really rude and was yelling at me that I was using the wrong login. I was trying to explain to her that I used my husband's SS# and still was getting no account message. But was interrupting me at every word yelling.

Finally I gave up, said thank you and hung up. I personally cancelled all the accounts and they made a mistake and cancelled only 1 account and now I have to pay for their mistake as they are refusing to issue a refund. I also have emails that state that there is no account under my husband's SS#. And after all, how can they employ such rude customer support managers??? Outrageous!!!

Resolution response: May 16, 2018

I received my refund for the monthly charge today. If they tell you that they cannot reverse the charge, be insistent - they actually can reverse it and they will.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I went to freecreditreport.com where it is claimed that my credit report is FREE and does not require a credit card. So I go in and register for my FREE credit report that I am supposed to be entitled to by law. The company is in partnership with Experian. Okay. Cool. That's a name I recognize. I sign up for my FREE credit report (stated about 5 times on the first page alone) and then they tell me it's a $1 charge to verify my identity. Cool. No problem. I give them the $1. Well lo and behold - here we are 15 days later and my account has been charged $21.95.

I called customer service and told them that their website is EXTREMELY misleading and that I wanted my charge reverse. The rep said that she could cancel my account but "the system" wasn't allowing her to reverse the charge. I told her that was unacceptable and that I needed the charge reversed. She said "Sorry, I can't do that, the system won't allow it".

I then asked to speak to someone whose system could reverse it and she played dumb and replied with "Ma'am I'm not sure who you want to speak with" and I repeated again, that I needed to speak with someone who could reverse the charge. We did this song and dance for about 5 minutes and then FINALLY she put me on hold - for 10 minutes might I add - and came back and said her supervisor was able to reverse the charge. I requested a confirmation so I can follow up in case my charge isn't reversed. We'll see if it actually happens... If you're seeking your actual free report visit annualcreditreport.com.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Like a lot of reviews I paid for the $1 credit report not knowing that I would be subscribed to a monthly service. Tried calling customer service and was on hold for an hour before I hung up. Called again but this time after entering my personal information I dialed 0, #, *, 7 until I got a service rep and was able to cancel my membership. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I can't choose between Experian and Comcast for the worst customer service... or service, period. I too did not notice the $24.99 charge for a whole year before calling them to cancel. Pushed button 1 for cancellation, waited 2 hours (see pic for evidence), hung up, called back and pushed button 2 for billing and voila, I got through in a minute.

Spoke with the agent and asked to close the account. Told him I did not recall signing up for it or ever receiving an email with the service price (or change in service price). He claimed that all customers are sent an email. I asked him why their website did not have payment history or service price listed. He insisted it was available in account settings. I requested him to stay on the line while I log in to Experian account online so he can help me navigate to the said page. HE HUNG UP ON ME! Oh yes, he did. And now I can't seem to log in to my account or change my password at all. Did he close my account? I don't know. Experian is a total scam!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I’ve been trying to cancel the credit monitoring service with Experian. Find that it’s next to impossible to do so. I’ve called the cancellation phone number multiple times, waiting over an hour before getting frustrated and hanging up. I sent them an email with no response. For this to be a credit reporting company, it had serious unethical behavior. The only option I know to do is to stop payment with my credit card company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: April 24, 2018

Credit report for $1.00 - Be aware. It's a dollar for 7 days. After that they zap your bank account for $21.95. Did not see that in the small print. They are more than happy to keep your $21.95 and cancel your "subscription".

Original review: April 21, 2018

I am very disappointed with Experian credit services. The number 1-877-284-7942 is always busy. You spend hours on the phone and keep listening music. Terrible service. I want now to cancel the service and I can't. I have to wait for someone to answer the phone. The company outsourced it to Costa Rica - I believe this is the issue but better not to try.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I see a lot of consumers here with the same issue as myself. They automatically sign you up for a membership without telling you, you'll be charged $24.99 monthly!! I have never had trouble with any of the other reporting agencies. My Experian score is almost 100 points lower than both of my other scores because they have an account in collections that was paid in full years ago, and it even says paid in full, and closed, yet it's still sitting in collections on their page and it's hurting my score!! I filed a dispute but judging by the other comments here it sounds like it won't do me much good. Pretty discouraging they are able to get away with inadequate, inaccurate "service" they provide!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I filed a dispute with Experian. The company for which I filed the dispute updated their info in my account and I was dinged again on my credit report by the company for the same issue. After calling Experian twice and 45 minutes on the phone I found there is no recourse. Experian takes the side of the company filing information, not the consumer and doesn’t seem to care that a consumer is penalized twice for the same information. My conclusion, DONT file a dispute!

Original review: April 16, 2018

Calling EXPERIAN (Several toll fees and area codes) has been technically impossible and I said that because you cannot spend two hours on daily basis trying to get in contact with them in order to cancel or remove a program that you don't even selected, this is beyond unfairness and poor endorsement from a company that supposed take care of your credit but indeed of your own pocket. Did somebody from Capitol Hill is aware of this camouflage fraud from them? Well, take action then.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I have been getting charged 24.99 monthly for an account that is not mine. After being on hold forever, I get a nice girl, explain the situation, then request a refund. She immediately transfers me to a 'supervisor'. He explains that the account (that's not mine) was still being monitored - then has the gall to say "you don't go buy a loaf of bread, eat it, and then ask for a refund!" He said he would refund 1 month out of 8!! The worst customer service! This company should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Can I rate this company with less than 1 star?? I have called several times now first thing in the morning and I have never had a call answered and I hung up after 40 minutes or more on hold. I could possibly understand this if it was later in the day when more timezones were in business hours. I get thru to Equifax and Trans Union within moments. I have submitted more than one email addressing my concern and was advised that someone would get back with me but have yet to be contacted.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I had the free version of the service, only to see my so called credit score declining every few months with no reason. I concluded it is a scam to make me pay membership! I never been late with any payment in my life, I am earning about double of my monthly expenses with quite some spare money left every month, pay my taxes, yet I have poor credit score according to them. The aim is to see your score going down and to pay to see why, right? Never mind some companies might actually believe it.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I couldn't see anything wrong with my credit looking at Experian's report but they seem to hold an old bankruptcy (4+ years ago) over your head big time. Credit score almost 100 points less than the other two agencies.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Bad enough that this company allowed our information to be compromised, but they also signed me on to this 24.99 monthly charge, without my consent. I never want to hear the name of this company again, in my business dealings. Lawyers take this as a class action suit. I'm in!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Wanted to cancel Experian Credit Monitoring and was stunned to see that I could not cancel online. Then called the cancel phone number. I will be reporting to regulatory agencies but BEWARE, this is an unethical company to do this.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I attempted to retrieve my FICO score and Experian responded I have 0 (Zero) credit references on my account. They ran my credit history and provided a report prior to signing me up for the so called, credit monitoring. That report shows five current credit accounts and several others before the year 2010. I decided to cancel my $19.99 per month fees and called the customer service phone number. I attempted to cancel through the automated responses and the automation said "you are under a free 30 day trial period and cannot cancel! My so called service and my first credit card deduction was July of 2017?! I hung up and called again hitting prompts to speak to a person and was on hold for an hour and forty-five minutes?!

I reported the system did not recognize my enrollment and referred to me as a free 30 day trial period and there is zero credit files on record. She ignored what I said so I requested to cancel my Experian and a full refund for all months I was charged. She offered a one month refund only. I asked for a supervisor and a female, Lea answered repeating the same one month refund offer. She rudely gave me other contact info, email custbilling@experianinteractive.com, physical address PO Box 2390 Allen Tx, 75013, Fax 1-855-829-9851. I demanded a full refund from July 2017 through March 2018 and she refused. What a warm dependable credit monitoring company I can trust. My Rating is ZERO. And that's what I feel I was provided with the exception of sexual predator reports to my email.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have been on the phone now for over 45 minutes this time. Trying to cancel my subscription. Unreal. I read the other reviews and they're correct. They take your money every month but can’t cancel. 100% frustrated!!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

We had free Experian credit monitoring for some period of time after a data breach. We opted to pay ~$25/month to continue the monitoring. Some months ago, we decided that Experian wasn't worth the cost. It was then that we learned how hard it is to cancel. It can only be done by phone. They don't offer to call you back. In only four attempts, my husband and I have spent a total of more than four hours on hold. Each time, we've had other business pull us away from the phone. The worst part is, that after each abandoned call, we've gotten distracted and allowed another month and another $25 to evaporate. In my opinion, Experian already owes us about $100 for having such lousy customer service! As I write, I've been on hold this time for 57 minutes. Experian customer service may be the worst I've ever experienced, if it can even be said to exist!

Original review: April 2, 2018

This is the 4th or 5th time I have tried to cancel and I have been on hold for almost 3 hrs after being on hold for 2 hrs then hung up on! It is inexcusable that we cannot cancel this service without calling. A simple cancel option on the billing page would work perfect! Additionally I had lost the cc they billed to and somehow they obtained my new CC number without my consent!

Original review: March 31, 2018

With my February credit card statement I noticed a $21.95 charge from Experian Credit Bureau. I called the phone number noted on the statement, but got a message that the wait time was in excess of two hours. I did not have two hours to remain on hold at that time. I called my credit card company and reported the charges as fraud. They canceled my card and returned all charges to me. I have no idea how these charges were first started. I read other complaints online about this same thing and learned that I had probably gotten into their site by mistake when the data breach of the other credit bureau happened.

I was receiving emails from Experian, but didn't read them and deleted them without knowing why I was getting the emails. I then reviewed my credit card history and found out I had been charged $21.95 for October - March. I felt so stupid that I had not noticed the charges. I then called Experian and waited 2 hours 33 minutes only to be disconnected. In order to get into their phone system I was required to input my full ss# and zip code which I have been told is a dangerous thing to do and opens me up to having my data hacked. It seems contrary to the mission and purpose of the credit bureau to have this requirement in order to speak to a customer service person.

When I was disconnected, I received an email from Experian asking for my evaluation of customer satisfaction. I rated them very low and told them about the charges in the email. They responded that they would refund me, but did not say what the refund would consist of. I am now not sure if this was "fraud" or more of a consumer scam to get me to sign up for a monthly charge. Regardless, I was getting charged, I did not know I had agreed to the charge nor that I had an "account" with Experian; Experian is not reachable by phone using a reasonable response time; Experian requires every caller to input their full ss# and zip in order to proceed into accessing their phone system; Experian has a great deal of power to retaliate on any individual.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I wanted copies of credit reports, free copies, had difficulty, and Experian offered all 3 copies sent to me. Paid $39.95! Wasn't aware that paying for credit reports unwise, but gave Experian my credit card info, whereby charged me $24.99 monthly, and I never received reports or communications, so I have no idea of membership services. Believe Experian is dishonest broker, so must call out so other mature adults aren't hoodwinked as myself. I think fraud, but some say no. I must of checked a box unknowingly.

It's bad when trust is broken and doing business is reduced to scamming unwittingly seniors, unfamiliar with changes in acceptable business practices. Shame on these predators. I believe in karma so when ** begins to befall those who profit from false or unsavory practices such as Experian played on me, remember the cosmos c law, what you do to others will return tenfold onto you. No way to avoid karma, as it is beyond mankind, universal law!

Original review: March 30, 2018

I never subscribed to this credit agency, but they kept billing, I don't know how they managed to get my credit card number! I had to dispute the transactions, identity-protecting agency is doing identity theft?

Original review: March 30, 2018

In our annual review of our expenses we discovered that someone had opened an Experian Membership with my bank card. (Not my name, social, address etc). I have been trying to be refunded the $419.30 charged over the year. Experian will not refund, nor go after the culprit. And they will not allow me to escalate beyond the call center Supervisor. When asked, the response was "I cannot give you a contact to escalate". All posted Experian numbers route to the same call center phone tree. How can a business operate in this manner? It is criminal.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I just tried to use Experian's "Free Credit Report" that ConsumersAffairs says is available. The Free is bogus. To get a report you 1st must sign up for a $1.00 fee for credit monitoring which increases to $22.00/month until canceled. This is the HOOK to charge for your Credit Report.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Do not ever select "Billing" as an option!!!! After entering my personal info, I selected 1, then option 2 to reset my password. When automated system asks if you want your password reset, say no. You will then be transferred to a CSR. Wait time was less than 1 minute!!! I spoke to CSR by the name of Amber who cancelled my membership. She did ask whether I subscribed only to get the score or have access to the 3 credit bureaus. I told her I didn't know because my husband completed the sign-up process. She cancelled the subscription and stated that I would not be billed next month as my next billing cycle was 4/6/18.

I was asked but was not given a confirmation #. Evidently they do not supply that or it was not necessary. I will be checking my account next month as I repeatedly asked her if my subscription was cancelled. She confirmed that it was cancelled immediately. I hope this helps someone. Another note: She was speaking very fast so I had to get her to repeat herself several times. Don't know if this is a ploy but be sure you understand what is being said.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I signed for the free trial a year ago. Called when my husband alerted me that we were being charged $23.50/month. I was on hold forever but managed to get someone to take the cancellation. A year later they've scammed me out of $282. I called and like the other complaints, the message says you'll be on hold for 2 hours! To cancel, it takes 2 WHOLE HOURS. Unheard of. I would like to see their CREDIT rating. I never imagined the company that is supposed to keep us alerted about credit scams against us is using scams itself. How awful!! Very disgusted. Can anyone help!?

Original review: March 26, 2018

No way to cancel online and takes hours to talk to cust rep. I once had to order $1 credit reports from 3 bureau and not paid attention on fine print that after 7 days you would be enrolled in monthly plan and they would charge $29 per month. By the time I realized I had paid hundred of dollars and when I tried to cancel - they conveniently didn't have option to cancel online and forced to call customer service. Customer service takes hours - when I was close hour of waiting the system very systematically disconnected me. The idea is that you will get frustrated and go away and will forget it again. Very frustrating experience. I am surprised FTC does not review such practices with such a business whose score get used on many decision.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This company is a complete scam. My husband used my credit card to get his free $1 credit report to check some credit card accounts that were opened by someone else using his SS #. Was not aware that he was signing up for a membership and had to cancel within 7 days. With that being said, he has not used their services since then and they will not refund my full amount that they charged me. The wait time of over 2 hours is a total joke, they do this hoping that you will hang up in frustration.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This company has proven to be a HUGE headache for me. I've tried calling at different times to cancel my membership and have been told that there is a minimum 2 hour wait. Unfortunately the Experian website offers NO options for canceling online or if anything deleting my credit card info. I even tried emailing them and never heard back. After waiting for over 2 hours and 15 minutes on the phone, I found this site and followed the recommendations of others. I called their (888)617-1894 number and once I entered my personal information, I proceeded to press random numbers to reach a customer service agent and within 4 minutes from start to finish my membership was canceled.

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg