Experian

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I just realized that I had three charges on my credit card from Experian for a "membership" to some credit monitoring service. Apparently, back in October/November when I was checking my credit report and purchased my FICO score online from Experian for $4.97 I didn't realize that somewhere hidden in the fine print, I was also purchasing a monthly service/membership. I was never alerted to the fact that I was actually making a membership purchase, nor that I was purchasing anything other than the FICO score for the $4.97. I called the customer service and they only offered to refund one of the three charges and I demanded that my membership be canceled. I think that the consumer protection agencies in this country should penalize these companies and especially when it is something so delicate as my credit score, they should not be trying to make money off of this.

There should be much more regulation of these kinds of sneaky and misleading practices. I would not trust Experian with my credit score or my money. Who knows who else is paying them to manipulate all of our scores one way or the other as they see fit for profit. I hope the government starts to see that consumers need to come first and these companies should not be reaping a profit. In fact, this is not a for-profit service they should be doing, the government should take this on so that there are no hidden interests involved. Do not buy the credit tracking service from Experian and if you need to know your FICO score, know that they will try to cheat you with this tactic.

I signed up to their free credit score early january 2017 online and left my debit card details as a requirement for the monthly fee after the 30 days free membership. Then I began to see their posters advertising that Experian is NOW FREE FOREVER FOR EVERYONE, so I did not worry about having to log in and cancel my membership as I understood it as now being free. However the money £14.99 was still taken from my account. So it is not free, then?

When I called Experian they explained to me that I joined on a different type of membership hence their charges. I explained how this is misleading and their customer rep has confirmed they have had a lot of calls like mine where people felt mislead. I asked for a refund but the best they were able to do was to cancel my membership and wait a response to my complaint. This stops me briefly having access to CreditMatcher, which is the actual free membership. Experian need to be clearer in their adverts.

Like many of the other victims who posted on this site, I signed up for a credit report on freecreditreport.com, and ultimately paid $1 to receive my report. Using deceptive practices (hiding their practice of signing you up for a 7 day trial after which you're charged $23.90/mo in obscure language in the terms and conditions), they signed me up for automatic payments without my knowledge. I unfortunately only discovered months later that they had taking $23.90/mo from my account.

Once you discover the deception, they make it difficult for you to cancel, requiring you to call (which was a 35 minute wait). When I explained my upset, there was no apology, nor agreement to a refund, as they must get these calls on a regular basis. He only claimed that there was a notice of the trial period when I signed up. Looking at the original confirmation email I receive - I saw no such notice. They really should be held accountable for these unscrupulous business practices that scam many unknowing customers out of their hard earned money in the ironic name of credit safety.

For over a decade I've had a membership with Experian. I was charged a reoccurring fee of $ 4.95 a month (receiving alerts, etc). While doing my finances, I noticed they started charging me $24.99 a month, and had been doing so for the past five months. I was never notified of the rate hike. I called customer service to cancel my membership, the customers service rep, named Mario, acknowledged that I had not been notified and tried to get my discounted rate back. The best he could do was $8.00 a month and a one month refund of $24.99. I'm absolutely shocked that a company as important as a credit reporting agency can/would be able to take advantage of a loyal customer such as myself. Shame on you Experian!

Wish I could give 0 stars! I was charged without my permission or knowledge $43 in January 2017. When I called and asked why I am being charged for a free report, they said it was because I logged in to check my credit in August 2016... WHAT!?! This is fraud!! This company is crooked!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

I just saw a charge on my credit card for $24.99 from Experian and asked my fiance to further investigate. I know that we decided to order a free credit report last May before we got engaged. At that time, we paid the extra $1 to find out my score. After calling Experian tonight we found out that when we paid the $1 for the score, we were enrolled in a monthly billing of $24.99 that we were not aware of signing up for. This is a scam. We only paid the $1 to see the score, not to enroll in a monthly membership.

Experian needs to change their website and billing system. We should have received an email showing that we were being charged every month. Experian needs to refund us the monthly fees that we were being charged from May through December 2016. We had no idea this fee was being charged and feel like we have been totally scammed by a credit bureau. Credit Bureau are supposed to help people better their credit score, not hurt them financially. The manager was only allowed to refund the month of December. We have requested for May through December to be refunded.

I was denied a loan, despite my credit score being 802-804 including the most recent Experian FICO score. When I inquired with Experian (seeing their name on the reason for Denial), they recommended that I pay $1.00 for a credit report. This was completely unhelpful. I was later charged $21.95 for no reason, and have had no success on getting a refund. I never found out the reason that my loan was declined, was swindled out of a dollar (since credit scores, I have learned, are completely free), and then later charged for no reason. Unethical, to say the least.

I received 3 charges of $21.9540 for membership and then another $39.95 charge for a credit report. I did not intend to sign up for a membership or purchase a credit report. I am not a careless person. The site is set up up intentionally to scam people. It is unbelievable for such a large and well-known company. They should be ashamed.

They confirmed that there was a fraud on my report. A collection that they agreed is not mine, yet they will not remove it. They claim that since I live in the same city as the hospital that I never used I might have been to that hospital. I was NEVER at that hospital so the $501 collection is still on my report. Experian is very dishonest. If I could give them lower score I would.

Experian is misleading consumers!!! My story: I signed up for a 1.00 report and starting to receive monthly fees for "membership" that I wasn't aware of. Nor did I approve. I did see on my credit card statement that I was being charged unknowingly. And disputed through American Express. I did receive a refund but only for a month and I was still continued to be charged. Bottom line: I didn't have a membership - or did I approved this membership. Monthly fees of 24.99 hit my account every month. I called today to speak to a Escalation team, Karabel but he would only give me one month 24.99 refund and was told they would stop the billing the monthly membership. Although he stated it was in the fine print of the $1.00 sign up of only 7 days. And I needed cancel it.

They take advantage of this because of busy consumers who don't have time to monitor every small charges that hit their statements. They might as well be hackers that hit millions of people to steal your money for something that is not being used or you approved. I wonder how many Experian members -- actually agreed to the membership or even use it? Probably thousands - I would imagine. Perhaps they need a quota, similar to banks by opening fake accounts. Experian is a great disappointment. I hope this company can be honest and straight forth with consumers going forward.

Today I noticed that I have been charged a $21.95 fee for three months for your FREE CREDIT REPORT services. I contacted your company and spoke to two individuals. The last lady I spoke to was a supervisor by the name of Claudia. She was extremely rude and unprofessional. I was told that I had signed up for a seven-day trial only and that it is clearly marked that after the seven-day trial I would be billed monthly for your services. Services for what? Who wants a credit report every month?

I got back on your website to look at the process of your FREE CREDIT REPORT and on a cell phone your warnings are not noticeable. I have searched my email and every email from your company was in the junk mail which is automatically kicked over from my internet provider labeling it as junk and therefore removed as spam. After further digging on the internet I have noticed that this seems a huge issues with a lot of consumers who believe they are getting nothing more than a FREE CREDIT REPORT.

I have contacted my credit card company to dispute these charges and I am requesting that you refund my credit card back 100% of these charges. Your company should be ashamed of yourselves especially advertising free credit reports to trusting people. I am unsure why there has not been a class action suit filed against your company yet. Upon my boss's return, I will give him all the facts and pages upon pages of complaints against your company for the same issue and then move forward legally if I have to. I expect to hear a response from your company by the close of business on January 2, 2017.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT make an Experian account. You will be overcharged without any notice and none of it will be refunded to you. They attract customers by advertising free credit reports but then they make you sign a deal with the devil. Among the many requirements that they will require you agree upon, a monthly fee will be camouflaged and hidden in it for "benefits" that are of no use. Basically, they are modern day thieves and run on defying people to steal their money using false advertising.

I requested a credit report in April, 2016 for which the website said I would be charged $1. I was very careful not to check any boxes that would subscribe to their services or subject myself to any repeating charges. Nonetheless, several days after the $1 charge, I was charged $23.57 by Experian. I did not notice this charge, and Experian continued to charge me monthly, raising the charge to $26.83 a few months later. I finally noticed the charge in December, at which time I had paid $229.43 in illegally charged items. I called the company to complain. They refused to do anything other than cancel the so-called "membership" that I had never authorized. I see others here have had similar experiences. This company is committing out-and-out fraud. It should be shut down and the principals should be jailed.

I requested my credit for $1.00 and sent an email requesting cancellation on the 7th day as per the offer. No one could find the cancellation and charged me an additional $21.95 for the following month. I asked to immediately cancel my membership and the agent suggested to use it until the end of the month which I refused. I told him to cancel it immediately. This is a scam by a company that is supposed to be helping individuals with their credit history.

I was reviewing my credit card account as I always do on a regular basis and notice a charge of $49.98 from Experian. I called the toll-free number provided in the description of the charge. I explained that I had not authorized such a charge, and want it to credit back to my credit card. I was then asked if I requested a free credit report for a $1, to which I replied "NO." Then I was told it was a request I made to get a copy of my credit report for $4.99 and I had 30 days to cancel or I would be charged the monthly fee. After saying over and over again "I did not request a copy of my credit report" and getting nowhere I asked to speak to a supervisor. Manny # ** got on the phone and said, "Let me look into this for you." She then explains, "We charged you for two months for a membership you had. We were trying to debit your card for the last two months."

I again repeated, "I did not request a membership, nor any credit reports and I wanted this canceled and refunded back to my credit card." She said all she can do is "credit you back half as a courtesy and cancel your membership." I was frustrated at this point and told her to credit back the half and make sure this is canceled and I'll do what I need to do to get the rest back. I deserved the full charge credited back to my card and it was not given. I do not understand how such a large business can get away with treating people like this and being able to charge for no services rendered. I'm sure there will be a class action lawsuit coming soon.

So, for a dollar billed to your credit card--when the deceptive ad says you don't need a credit card!--you get to look at your Experian score. The small print says you get this credit tracker privilege for free for seven days, after which your credit card will be charged $21.95 every month for a bunch of services with limited value to an average consumer. The information on how to cancel your membership is quite well camouflaged, requiring sharp eyes and a bit of determination. And then the fun begins...

I sent an email using the email address provided on the website, included my name and, membership number, with clear instructions to cancel my membership. All within five days of joining this nefarious scheme. And then I checked my credit card account to find $21.95 had been charged by Experian. I called the number provided--in tiny type--and explained what I'd done and that I wanted my money refunded. The representative claimed he could not refund the charge because no one at Experian was aware. I'd tried to cancel. He then opined that the email address was wrong; the website I'd visited was an old one; the website was for another Experian service rather than the one I'd signed up for... you see the pattern here.

I demanded to speak to a supervisor. She was not helpful. However, she finally provided the email address for the billing department, with the statement that they "might" be able to help after "investigating the matter." So I forwarded my original cancellation email, demanding a refund and pointing out that even a giant corporation should not want adverse publicity from irate consumers. We'll see how it goes.

I get a poor rating for 3 reasons: 1. I have one credit card max 300 but my balance rolls 100 to 220 a month and paid monthly. Reportedly to high a percent. Never say small credit card setting by my choice. 2. As Experian gives negative scores and sells them I am flooded with bankruptcy companies and credit problem solving. When they call and hear my minimum balance and fact I've never been bankrupt. They say... I don't have a problem. 3. This false tilted reporting stereotypes me which I can not get out from under. As a result I pay a high rate on interest on my car loan... double of anyone else. This does increase the profits of the banks as I am blacklisted for no reason. 18 yrs ago I paid off my mortgage 12 years early. I have no other debt. I am blackmailed into paying high rates for no reason.

I had signed up and paid full price for my credit report. Not knowing they would charge me forevermore. My bank has only been able to recoup $39.00 of 196.00 taken falsely. My suggestion use the local mob office or pawnshop. At least you can settle disputes there or call the police. As Experian is a business one can not call the police on them to get your money back.

I tried to get my credit report and was told that my information did not match their file. I sent a letter and two months have gone by without receiving any response. I've tried calling their published numbers and it's impossible to get to a person.

I have a recent ding on my credit rating from a medical bill from Medical City Dallas that was a totally unreasonable bill ($694) for the service provided (8 exercises) that I refused to pay in total, but agreed to pay half. Medical City did not reply to my written complaint logged and sent the unpaid bill directly to Experian credit agency. I went online to get my free credit report from Experian to verify the reason my credit rating had been lowered and did not read the small print, in that I had to decline in 7 days an annual agreement to continue this service.

When it hit my credit card I called and they stopped the service, tried to sell me other less expensive products and refused to refund the initial month prorated charge. Based on what I see they do this to a lot of folks. I have had two medical bills in the last 15 years that are the only bills I have not paid timely --- the other was for $150. Both of these bills have/will have a 7 year effect on my credit rating. There is no review of whether the amount being sent to the credit agency is correct and no thought given to the materiality of the charge versus the credit worthiness of the individual. I think it is time for companies like Experian to actually provide a service for the income they are achieving. I hope others will continue to reflect their negative experiences with credit agencies, so eventually the system will be improved.

I was in the market to purchase a car and interested in my options of financing. After doing some research online, the loan I was interested in REQUIRED that I get my credit score through Experian. Experian offers a 7 day "free" trial (we all know how this goes. Nothing is free, and it requires your credit card information as well as a $1 deposit). To my surprise, I had a $25 charge to my bank account today from Experian for my wonderful "credit tracking" (such a joke. Whom actually pays for this service when there's free sites such as Credit Karma to monitor your own score?).

I called their 1-800 number and spoke to Lord knows who (hate to sound racist, but does anyone who has a telemarketing job speak English?) and he/she of course tried forcing to continue my account with them at a 50% discount, which of course, I declined. I then was told the fee was not refundable. I asked to speak to a manager. I was placed on hold for almost 30 minutes. The "manager" who I had the misfortune of speaking with was rude and short with me. She refused to listen to anything I had to say and her response to everything was "we don't refund ma'am; we don't refund ma'am". At the end of the day, this is clearly the ONLY way they make money. Scam artists at its finest. Do NOT use them for any of their services!

I tested out Experian's free credit report (well $1 is not exactly free). I was then billed monthly for $24.50 until I just discovered this today on Nov 22. I'm out over $180. In discussing this with their customer service I was given every "no" answer including wanting a human being to file a complaint with. It's such a shady practice to opt people into something they have no idea they are getting. Worst thing is I do business with this company. I guess I will have to switch vendors in the future.

I went to Experian's website to order my free credit report. It prompted me to get my FICO score for an extra $1. I went ahead and did that and did not see their fine print about automatic membership enrollment with a $21.95 fee. As soon as I noticed I was being charged for that, I contacted Experian customer service and they refused to refund me. Super shady business practices to enroll people in this plan on the sly and refuse to refund them even though they haven't used ANY of the services.

Why is it that Experian is infamous for being the lowest credit bureau out of the other two? We need to make this an issue. We have to use every single social media outlet to blow this up. I am writing and visiting our local and DC congressmen to get the ball rolling. It's unfair that I have worked very hard to get my credit really good. But Experian is the lowest by a lot. They do not update my payment history at all. They are out to keep all of us hard working people down. They strike deals with Lenders to go with Experian so they get an incentive to mark us low. In return the lenders are able to "better negotiate" a higher interest rate with is potential clients and what do we say from there? It's legalized corruption.

I work so hard to stay on top of all that I do. And it's not fair that I am being penalized for a company's greedy behavior and politics. Just so they can profit. We have to stand up and fight this credit issues. There should be only one score and that's it. Experian continues to affect my progression in my life in regards to obtaining a good loan. It's aggravating and this will change. But whoever is reading this please stand up together and fight this corruption. Enough is enough.

I was charged 21.95$ though they mentioned free credit score check. Once you sign up you click on the membership terms and conditions as well. I cancelled my account knowing this on 8th day. They didn't refund the cash stating trial period is within 7 days. These people are so cunning. Never do business with these vultures. No emails come with the receipt of charges incurred. Only it reflects in the credit card.

Reviews need to be moderated better. It's obvious, at least to me, that the same two or three people are writing all of the one-star reviews. I've signed up for Experian twice, and I haven't had any problem canceling within the 7 day trial period and not getting billed again.

I called in to cancel my membership and spoke with a representative at Experian. I wrote the confirmation number down with a date the membership was to be discontinued. I did not follow up to ensure the membership was canceled, and that was my fault. However, I called in 4 months later after realizing they were still charging my credit card, and the rep said there was no record of the cancellation and would not accept my confirmation number. So I was overcharged $100. And the most ridiculous part is, she ask that I write the new confirmation number down! Now I have to monitor my credit card to be sure they do not continue to charge me. I will not be paying for a membership with Experian ever again. I encourage every to just use the free services out there. Equifax and Transunion scores are provided for free through Credit Karma and Credit Sesame. Experian is the only one who does not provide a free score.

I just realized that my subscription to Experian is subsidizing a company that, in effect, is the ONLY reason my credit rating has declined in the past year. Their "robot" is incapable of considering any factors outside the boundaries of their super rigid formula that tosses people like me with a very longstanding excellent credit history with folks who are reckless with credit. Here are the problems that seem to have had with me: INQUIRIES. I just bought a house and, as a wise consumer, I shopped for a mortgage. I considered six lenders. Every time one of them checked my credit, Experian lowered my credit rating by six points. So, I list 24 total points just by applying for mortgages. Their very broad description of "too many inquiries" actually discourages the very sound practice of seeking the best possible mortgage package.

At one point, one credit bureau showed a FICO score of 814 for me. Experian moved me down to 780 while I looked for a mortgage. So, instead of a 3.44 interest rate, which my eventual lender offered, I ended up paying 3.66 per cent, solely on the basis of Experian's report. They moved me from an excellent rating to very good and it's costing me money for 30 years!

RETAIL ACCOUNTS - According to Experian, I have too many. Here's what really happened. I asked my bank to change the type of VISA card they issued to me. The old one was carrying one of those interest free balance transfer balances for 18 months. So, I didn't close it. I left money in my investment account, which earned 12% last year. Simple math. I made money by doing this. I had the funds to pay it off but decided to continue to earn very attractive dividends by leaving it where they were. But the "robot" read this differently. Another credit card! An unpaid balance! Ding this guy! Then US Air merged with American Airlines. My previous card was converted to an American Express Advantage Master Card. Oh boy! Another inquiry! Ding this guy!

Then I moved a long distance to my new house. The mover would take a certified check or money order or charge to move to a credit card. Since we didn't know the final charges at pickup time, I used a credit card. Oh boy! He just used a greater percentage of his available credit! Ding this guy! During this process, I was awaiting two major financial settlements, both of which were in my favor. My plan was to pay off all of my credit card balances when the funds were received. Well, I received both in the past 10 days. So, I want to pay off what I owe (which is only 6% of my total available credit) and close a few accounts. But if I do, Experian will be waiting to ding me again for closing accounts and reducing available credit. Bear in mind. No late payments for more than 20 years! Practically no debt! Yet I continue to pay Experian a monthly fee to feed their robot, which in my view, is my only credit problem at the moment.

I have given up trying to talk to a human being there. Their dead-end phone system always manages to put my call through, referring me to their useless website. I am contacting my congressman this week. It's time that Experian be held accountable for the damage they are doing to responsible consumer such as myself. Ironically, I spend a portion of my career conducting financial literacy programs for 3 million school children. If they do what we taught them, they will be responsible consumers and victims of organizations such as Experian. This robot needs a brain and a set of ears!

I only used my card on their site to get my FICA SCORE FOR 1 DOLLAR. TWO DAY LATER I GET AN ALERT OF FRAUD FROM MY BANK. Someone had got my card number and attempted to purchase a gym membership in P.A. I don't know anyone, purchased anything, visited, lived in that state or area. I've almost only lived in California once I moved to Oregon. Now 2 different states have caused me to close my checking account cut up my card. So not only do they not protect your information, they report incorrect items on things like I cancelled a service and the company charged me 4 or more months. When it wasn't suppose to be under 200. It's almost 500. They share your information with companies that pull your credit. Do hard inquiries. I've got debt on my credit I don't know why they are there.

I used a company that charges $1 for a 7 day trial and then will charge you 29.95 unless you cancel. I literally canceled the same day. I paid the $1 so I wouldn't forget and get charged. The supposedly canceled but NOT SO MUCH because I was charged 29.95. I called to have it taken care and was reassured I'd have my refund in 5-7 business days. Time went by without a refund. Called again and said they would expedite the refund. Waited a few days and called again after finding out STILL NO REFUND. Today 10/10 after this has gone on for 4 weeks I called again and spoke with a rep who stated his system showed they refunded. They actually told me to call my bank. Really?!? The number is 1-866-232-7216. I am desperate to find out the company and want my $. Anyone that can help I'd truly appreciate it!

I applied for a loan in June 2016. As I have not checked my credit score in a while, I was curious to see what it would be. Without a question of trust, I used the Experian site. We are not supposed to be concerned that the 3 Credit Bureau have all of our personal information. They are supposed to be vaults for our complete financial data.

Experian advertised in big letter "One Time Report for $39.95!" I used a debit card by one of my banks to sign up for the "one time report." Next thing I know, I am receiving charges for $39.95 every month since. I called Experian who defensively replied that it was no mistake on their part and I "HAD to have signed up for a subscription." I am a senior on social security, so why on earth would I need to view my credit report every month, especially since Experian can see that I hadn't looked at it in years.

So, Experian reversed the charges and assured me that the subscription that I "had to have signed up for" would be closed. Then in August 2016 (one month after!!) I start getting recurring charges for the exact same $39.95 from "Scoresense," another credit report company, but on a completely different bank checking account. Now is it not ironic following that same month that I supposedly closed my account with Experian, I start getting charges from Scoresense. That's not the end of it. I also happen to get a letter from Comenity Bank that they received my application for a Wayfair Credit Card, but cannot proceed until I call them to verify some information. Again, the credit card request happens in August 2016, following the supposed closing my "Experian" account.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.
  • Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.
  • Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.
  • Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.
  • 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.
  • Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.
  • Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Compare Credit Report Sites