2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.6/5 (1169 ratings)

About Experian

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

Pros

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

Cons

• No in-person service

Bottom Line

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

Top Experian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be w...

Verified

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to ...

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
  • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
  • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
  • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
  • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
  • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
  • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
  • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
Is Experian really free?
Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
What credit score does Experian use?
Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
What is a good Experian credit score?
Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: July 3, 2021

I like that they send you your Experian score every day and credit card offers. I use it to lock my credit. My only complaint is that you pay a monthly fee and if you want to look at all 3 you have to pay 3 times the monthly rate to do that, and they don't say if you click you will be charged. I think they should offer it for free at least 4 times a year.

Original review: July 2, 2021

When I signed up for Experian to see what was on my report, my credit score was at a 515 and I had quite a few negative items. After paying off some things and disputing items my score went up significantly. I was able to get approved for the suggested credit cards and within 60 days my score went up over 150 points and all negative items were successfully removed. Experian gives weekly updates on my credit usage and tips to keep my utilization down so I won’t make the same terrible mistakes I made previously. I will be purchasing my first home by September. I recommend Experian over the other credit sites since they give the most accurate ratings.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2021

It's a great app. I personally increase my score by 40 point in my first 3 month. You can optional Link your Bank account for better result. By doing that I have increase my score by 19 point along with my cellphone Bill on time payment every month. Do not be afraid. It's simple and safe. They will automatic scan your Bank account every month to help you increase your score and the best thing is that you can unlink the Bank account anytime.

Original review: June 27, 2021

The free version allows you to view your score, your credit card accounts with payment history, basically the full credit report. It will also do a dark web search to see if your details come up in any questionable sites. It will also send emails when your score changes, even by a point. Overall, a great way to see how your credit score changes over time. Only minus is that if need to update any of your details online, the process takes time and it might not yield any results. Better to do it the old-fashioned way, by calling.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Having simple access to my credit report 24/7 has been invaluable over the past 3 years since I have had to move twice. I have been able to put myself to the top of the pile of applications by providing a printed copy of my Experian report directly to the landlord/manager, without them having to pay a fee or use their time to retrieve it themselves. The emails Experian sends out helps you to easily learn about what is important to your credit score and the stats provided help you keep a close eye on your credit. I convinced a few others to sign up for their free account. If anything negative gets posted to your credit report, you are notified and can nip the problem in the bud. I am grateful for my Experian online account.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Signed up for $1 for my score to buy a car. I canceled within a few days but they billed me monthly. No human to speak to and the site/phone automation makes it nearly impossible to fully cancel. It downgrades your subscription only. No way to fully get out. Many stories on the internet where this downgrade still charged people. It is obvious their intention is to not let you cancel. Tried several phone numbers and spent an hour trying to get the automation to let me fully cancel or speak to a real person. Their trickery captures you and won't let go.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

My credit scores have not been updated on Experian since August 9. ScoreSense updates every month. Rather spend my money there. There are a few good things like credit lock. They also solve disputes pretty well.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

Experian receives kickbacks for every credit card suggested by them through the credit card providers. When you add a suggested credit card by Experian, your FICO will take a hit. The intended usage of this company is to drive your FICO scores up, but when they benefit from a selection they had given, and your FICO drops due to a new line of credit reported, one must reconsider such suggestions. Overall, a good company, but beware of any suggestions regarding the acquisition of additional credit cards. I will continue with them, but will never again accept their recommendations.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Experian is a scam. They charged money from my bank account without my knowledge. Once they register your name it is hard to delete your account. The only way to contact them is by phone. Experian=online scam.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

I have had problem logging into the Experian site. Keeps saying “Come back again”! I tried to call and was disconnected about 50 minutes times! They need to be investigated! How do you give someone a 740 when the other companies are 798 and 807???

Experian Company Information