2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

BOTTOM LINE

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

PROS

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

CONS

• No in-person service

Top Experian Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be what you want but the fact that they have completed my disputes way faster than what was expected makes me extremely happy

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to use, more reliable, credit information is updated faster than the other two bureaus. I have never been dissatisfied with

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
    • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
    • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
    • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
    • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
    • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
    • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
    • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
    Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
    Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
    Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
    Is Experian really free?
    Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
    What credit score does Experian use?
    Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
    What is a good Experian credit score?
    Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

They monitor my credit cards and I saw a 248.00 charge from a gas station in Italy. It wasn't me. They took care of filing the fraud report after I told them it was fraud. They show me regularly ups and downs in my credit cards. What's missing is not showing changes in bank accounts. If I withdraw 5000.00 there is no mention of it. I have had my private info stolen from my work place, my utility bill, and a card scanned at Macy's by a deceptive young woman, which ended up spending money in NYC. Again not me. I would like to be notified when bank accounts are used.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Experian been great to monitor all my accounts. It tracks dark web driver license, medical id, ssn, emails, passwords. You have all in one account and the best thing is I got the membership for free. Also you link your bank account and credit cards.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I receive monthly updates on my credit and I receive alerts on my credit/debit cards for uncommon activities. I am very happy with the continued monitoring of my accounts as well as the assurance of protection against fraudulent charges.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The credit report is not reliable and does not reflect customer’s accurate and up-to-date information. Specifically, I updated my name change to all lenders through their online systems, and my credit history with Transunion and Equifax both have my correct credit history of 7+ years, 25 active opening accounts out of 28, and name updated. Compared to my credit report with Experian, it only reflects my credit history after my name changed with total of 3 opening accounts and 2-year length in credit.

Instead of offering a solution to correct customer’s credit history, the operator suggests me to call 25 lenders to request them notify Experian to update customer’s information, according to their company’s policy. Not mentioning the fact that Transunion and Equifax both have my information corrected, Experian should at least be able to retrieve my credit history under my previous name and bring all of them over when they updated my name. If they updated my information and my history was gone from your system, it likely that they create my new identity without bringing my credit history over.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I tried several times on different dates to connect an agent or on chat line. Every time I had to wait for a long time about 20-30 minutes and either got disconnected or asked me to try later. Experian needed to improve their customer support service.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Report with wrong, confused and outdated information. I contacted many times this company to correct the information, but unsuccessful. The information in report is not checked. If somebody is wrong and want to make me bad he use Experian. Bad experience. I think this company is not serious.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Experian gave me a year of free service due to a data breach. In the past year they've sent me (2) separate email alerts concerning attempts to establish new accounts on my credit report. In following up on each alert, I ended up spending hours on the phone with employees who had absolutely no knowledge of why I had been contacted by their company. In both instances I spoke with the credit card companies Experian claimed to have been recipient of the "new account" attempts and in both instances they had no record of the attempts cited by Experian. So far Experian has been unable to explain these alerts. Huge waste of time. Would love to get to the bottom of this with Experian....

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I wasn't able to unlock my credit through the app so I called.. I was on hold for 10 minutes, someone (that barely spoke English) answered and after I said I need to unlock my credit, he said he'd transfer me. On hold another 20 minutes before I realized they closed 10 minutes earlier with no indication on the phone... I had a very nice guy waiting during that time to run my credit. Seriously?? After reading the other reviews, I'm going to find another credit monitoring service.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I was a victim of Identity Theft in 2019, I just discovered that I am blocked out of Experian website and that my contact information has been changed. I have tried to get in contact with a live person in Experian without success. I just get sent into Auto Attendant Hell, and since my information has been changed by the Identity thieves the system kicks me off the phone. I had mailed written instructions to all credit bureaus last year, but Experian is the only one I did not receive a reply from. Terrible service support, I would, if you have a choice, recommend you ask your creditors to use another credit agency. Identity Theft is stressful enough but having to deal with Experian make the stress so much worse.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I just received notice from Experian, that my credit score decreased. They decreased my credit score by 13-POINTS for no other reason than paying my revolving accounts in full and leaving them with zero balances. One would think you'll get rewarded for paying your bills in full, not penalized. This is Experian for you, they do not follow the guidelines used by the other credit reporting agencies, but theirs.

Experian Company Information