1.09/5

1432 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Paid $1 to receive FICO score. The fact that you would be charged $21.95 several months later and every month subsequent was never disclosed at any point in time during the transaction. Couldn't find appropriate email to contact them. Tried several different automated phone numbers to no avail. Finally found a number where I could speak with an actual person. Was put on hold for approximately 23 minutes before I finally gave up. Save your time and money and look elsewhere if you're looking to manage/inquire about your credit.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

This company does not allow live customer service contact! All Experian telephone numbers put you in a loop! I paid $10.00 to unlock/unfreeze credit info for a home loan and never relocked it, however account is locked without my permission! If I ever get the opportunity to meet the CEO, I will have two choice words for him and they won't be "Happy Birthday!"

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I signed up for a 7 day free trial to check my credit score. Immediately called and canceled a day after. They ended up charging me 2 consecutive months for an upgraded subscription, which I never agreed to. How they can do this? No idea. I can guess it's one of these fine-print scam companies. They should be shut down immediately in my opinion, and the CEO and all his cronies made an example of.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Experian is one of those borderline illegal businesses that muddles around in the same category as a robo-dialer or donation scam. First of all, I was never even able to log in to use Experian. The password reset system kept sending me random login passwords with &'s and other various symbols. I called to cancel my subscription. This was difficult in its own right given that the only way they make money is by making it difficult for you to cancel their ** of a subscription service. 5 months later, I rediscovered that they have been charging me 21.95/mo. They will not process refunds for this. If you are stupid enough (like me) to give them your credit card info, be warned. They also have the ability to directly charge your checking account even if you've canceled the previous card or its expiration has run out.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Experian's credit monitoring service is a joke. They have all my student loan accounts listed as closed when they are actually open, I have tried and tried to resolve this but somehow they cannot solve this simple issue. The other day I received a notice that my credit score has dropped due to a missed payment. I log in to see what it is and all my accounts show no late payments, as they should; again, cannot reach anyone at Experian to even address the issue. Customer service number has NO way of getting through to a person - the only option you have is freeze your credit, or request a report through the automated system. I'll stick with TransUnion thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

About two years ago we signed up for this service. After 6 months we called up and canceled the service but they continued to charge our credit card so I called up again and canceled it again. This time they stopped billing us for several months and then started again. I have now blocked them on our credit card and I am also filing a complaint with the consumer fraud division of the Az Atty General. This company is not to be trusted and if you do as I foolishly did there are no humans to complain to.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

As other have said, they somehow tricked me into purchasing this monitoring service for 4.99 the first month, then 14.99 a month. After 3 months we noticed these charges and called to cancel. The rep eventually refunded the last pending charge, but wouldn't refund the first two, despite having a money back guarantee, that is supposed to go back 60 days. Per the rep, it does go back 60 days but they only refund 1 months worth of charges, whatever that means. They wouldn't budge. They know they are using sleight of hand marketing to fool people into purchasing something they don't want or need, and then made it very hard to cancel and use their "Money back guarantee". Sad that this is a credit reporting agency that seems to be run as bad or worse than the immoral companies they allegedly are trying to protect you from.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Experian is horrible! I have a 7 year freeze on my SS# after having my identity stolen just over 2 years ago. I have not had a problem until now, but this one is stressful. Experian sent a letter to an old address dated 2 weeks ago stating that either my name, address or SS# had been changed in the last 30 days. I never got that letter at my current address, which I have lived for 2 years. This seems crazy to me, but tried to call the numbers on the letter to make sure no one was messing with my information.

I have tried about 20 times to all the numbers I can find, including the original paperwork I have from when my credit was frozen originally. I put in everything they ask for, but can't verify and hang up on me over and over. The letter said to check my credit report, which I finally got, and nothing looks incorrect. I would like to talk to someone and find out what they got that prompted the letter, but you can't talk to anyone there. I think it is wrong that a company can hold your information hostage and something should be done about it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I tried to look for an alternative to LifeLock and the Experian CreditLock process seemed to be a good option based on their advertisements. However it was a nightmare once I tried to set up an account. I initially signed up for a family plan which immediately charged my credit card a 19.95 recurring charge. When I tried to add my husband it wouldn't let me without another credit card. When I tried to cancel it wouldn't let me. I finally got a customer service rep after several days of trying. DO NOT try this service!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

They will charge your credit card $21+ for a "monthly service". Although this may have been in their fine print, they are deceptive. It was NOT worded clearly in any of the print. I clearly pressed the button for a $1 credit report, and there should have been no monthly charge after that. It took a nightmare of a hassle to even switch to the free one. This should have never happened. Thankfully I caught it BY CHANCE because I happened to go into the "my profile" tab to make sure they wouldn't be storing my card info etc... and yep they do.

This company is a huge scam. Just like someone else mentioned, of all companies to do this... IRONY at its finest! They profit off of the intelligence of others, knowing they won't read. THAT is deceit. They knew that people didn't see anything pop up. We signed up for the $1 report and that's why they worded it in a manipulative way, so we'd all get sucked in. People here paid hundreds of dollars for this. SCAM SCAM SCAM. BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have tried many times to release my credit report for one company. I tried their online system, and found that they claim my credit info is not locked, and want to charge me to lock it! But, I use USAA, and they have a free service to lock it! I called them, and they confirmed that my credit info is locked! So, Experian is trying to get me to pay for something that I already have! I'll bet that a lot of people have had the same experience, and paid their fee!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have disputed Wells Fargo Bank with Experian and they have simply stated it is accurate without conducting a proper investigation under FCRA requirements. There is a 4 year statute of limitations in Florida and a 7 year from first date of delinquency reporting max per FCRA. This credit bureau (Experian) is allowing inaccurate, incomplete and erroneous information to show on my credit report. They refuse to delete a charge off from a company. I've disputed this account many times and they refuse to delete this account that is just parked there without reporting or sending me any original signed contract that I’ve signed. I have not provide me with the METHOD of Verification of their investigation. I have demanded to see verifiable proof (original signed contract with my signature on it) of all negative accounts being reported on my credit file. They will not follow the fair credit report act.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Do not sign up with Experian. Plenty of ways to check your credit score for free. I have called 3 times in 3 months. $26.55 charge continues to be applied to charge card. It takes forever to get to customer service. And just like a bad review I saw for Experian on ConsumerAffairs.Com, when you do get someone to complain & ask for a supervisor, they put you on hold & then disconnect. Call your Credit Card, they will file a complaint against Experian. Do not try to cancel/get a new card. Recurring charges will apply to the new card. That is what happened to me. I also have an email from Experian stating that they would cancel my account 6 weeks ago. That would help your case with credit card company. Considering the services Experian offer, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Back in October I signed up to review my credit score and entered my card information to be charged $1... I just noticed that I have been being charged $21.95 every month since October! I called to get my money back and they told me they could not refund me, even though I did not sign up or use this service. They told me it says fineprint that if you don’t cancel the membership after the first month, they will start charging you $21.95 a month. I did not see this anywhere and if it is in fine print, they’re wrong and scamming people right and left! HUGE SCAM! Stealing people's money is not the right way to run a company!! I never even received an email stating I would be charged this monthly since I didn’t cancel. DISAPPOINTED isn’t even the word!

Original review: July 30, 2018

They have a phone scam, collect all your personal data and then hang up or go into a nonsense of mess for you to send in on a temporary credit freeze lift. Worse thing ever, they do not answer any phone the website never works and my personal ability to unlock my credit is held hostage to their ridiculous antics... We all need to file with the FTC immediately! The other credit companies are efficient and responsive and I lifted with Equifax in 2 seconds online... Furious after 12 calls and multiple web attempts.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We needed to lift a credit freeze temporarily so that my husband could renew the bond for his business. We went to the site to do it online. We had all of the required information, including the secret pin number that Experian gave us when we froze the account. After entering all of the data, including pin number, dates, SSN, contact information, etc., and entering credit card data required for the fee, after going through all that, we got the message that there was a system problem and asking us to try again later. Of course we did.

We tried this over and over, over the course of two days, at different times of the day. We attempted to find phone support, but after doing everything we could figure out to reach a real person, we gave up, went online, and found several pages of reviews by people who were unable ever to reach a live person at Experian. We then tried the phone method to lift a credit freeze. This we did about six times. We'd enter or say all the correct information, but eventually the regular recorded voice would change, and we would hear "please send us a letter to accomplish your credit freeze" (or words to that effect). This recording came on at a different time each time we tried. I am full of helpless loathing. We have no control over this company's access to our data; and yet they make it impossible to exercise any control over the data. We are dealing with it by seeking out a bond company that does not use Experian to do credit checks.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It was easy to find an assortment of places and prices plus ratings of the hotels. Also they give points that can be used to apply to future bookings to lower the cost.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Experian gives you a credit report for $1 but enrolls you in $21.95 monthly payments as part of their fine print. They don't send you any warning emails or have an option to cancel on their site. You have to call customer service and act angry and ask to speak to a manager in order to get the $21.95 charge refunded. These are unethical business practices. Take your business elsewhere.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I would like to submit a complaint against Experian. I received an email this morning (07/20/18) from Experian stating that my credit score had increased (attached) and upon logging into my account to review, then saw an alert that stated my score had decreased by 15 points, with no explanation. I attempted calling the customer service number listed for Experian (1-866-617-1894), and cannot for the life of me understand the representative on the line. The language barrier is so incredibly horrible it made it almost impossible to have a conversation and to obtain answers to the questions I need to be answered regarding my credit report!

Upon calling back a second time, I speak to a gentleman who cannot explain to me why my score has dropped. July 13th, my score increased by 10 points, July 19th I received an alert that my credit card issuer (Capital One) raised my credit limit, and then July 20th my score decreased by 15 points. This is fraudulent and Experian needs to be investigated. I have worked SO hard to get my credit score up and to have this happen and to receive no explanation for why is a complete slap in the face and no one should have to go through this. Please let me know next steps on processing this complaint and advise if there is any further information needed to process. My next step will be to acquire legal representation to address this. Thank you in advance for your support.

Original review: June 29, 2018

First they send you an email saying your credit score has slightly changed do you want to know why? When you go to the site they tell you that for $1 you can see why. You click on the box and you then get the terms and conditions that you must agree to. Buried in that agreement is you're signing up for a membership of $21.95 a month. A total scam. Bait and Switch. Use TransUnion or Equifax. This is shameful. You don't even have to read my review, they are already rated one star by everyone else. I give them no stars but the system will not let me. Thanks.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Experian refuse to removed information disputed from file after submitting, FTC report, Police Report. They continue to say "The account has been verified" when asked for verification, they never send any verification. I went to their reporting source LexisNexis who completed an investigation and removed the item from their report because they was unable to verify it. They informed all three credit bureau to delete the information because they could verify it. All credit bureaus deleted the information except Experian who claims they verified it which is incorrect. I'm Looking to start a CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST EXPERIAN!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Never in all my years of dealing with a company have I experienced such poor service. After placing a freeze on my credit and then wanting to remove it months later, I attempted to do this online, because I could not get through via the telephone. Their telephone prompts for me was like you were on a merry-go-round. Kept bringing me back to the main menu when all I wanted to do was speak with a rep to have my freeze removed. So, I decided to attempt it online and I got to the portion where they ask you security questions. I answered all of them correctly and submitted the form. I then got booted off the system. I must have tried about 10 more times online and to no avail could I do it. So again, back to the phone.

I finally found a phone number that will eventually put you through a rep. 800-493-1058. Get ready to press many buttons. It was a guessing game that finally got me through. I thought I had success, but I've learned, according to the rep, if you failed to answer a security question online, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing they can do for you to remove the freeze. They could not ask me any security question to remove the freeze, because the backward system that Experian has there does not allow them to do it. So, I was told to upload documents (License, utility bill, bank statements, etc...), anything that proves your identity. I asked for an email or a fax. They don't have one. That's right, THEY DON'T HAVE ONE. Imagine that. In today's day of technology, they don't have one.

All the rep could tell me was, it's for security reasons. LOL... More like, they are living in the stone ages. So, now I am back to the computer. After 5 tries, I finally got my documents uploaded. I was told it will take 5-10 business days before it happens. What am I supposed to tell the Seller of the house I am buying? I put the freeze on because of a hack. I think I would of rather rolled the dice and having someone steal my identity, than to have to go through I went through with Experian. TRULY SHAMEFUL and EMBARRASSING for this company. STAY THE ** AWAY!!! You have been warned.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I cancelled my $24.99 a month membership 3-4 months ago. Experian continues taking 24.99 out of my account every month. I've called every month and they refund me and turn around and take it right back out of my account. I have been forced to close my account and reopen another one. Be careful if you give them your card number because they won't stop taking your money.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Contacting Experian is the worst and most incompetent experience in customer service history. All I wanted to do is remove an Extended Consumer Alert. I tried calling your 877# and entered my SSN about 498,202 times and received the response "Sorry, we didn't recognize that. Try again!" Well if you can't recognize a SSN, then clearly you should not be in the SS business; so I definitely DO NOT want to continue paying $24.95 for preschool level service. Note: I've been an (over)paying customer for years. But apparently I don't pay enough to talk to someone when I need help.

I also tried your 888 number which continuously just hung up mid-ring. Finally I got through and experienced the same child on the playground who couldn't recognize a SSN. One time I found the smartest preschooler in your daycare center and was able to get through, only to find a prompter who said I need to mail in a Doctoral Thesis on my life to simply allow someone to get through and check my credit.

P.S. Below is your directions regarding How To Cancel. I dare anyone in your company to contacting this number and try to get an actual person, let alone any helpful information whatsoever. Whoever attempts this daring feat will most likely end up throwing their phone, bashing their face into their keyboard, and jumping off the nearing building. Good luck!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I need to review my credit report so I can repair it. Experian offered 3 credit reports and FICO score for $1.00 for 7 days, as long as you cancel before then, I tried canceling as soon as I got it and was unable to due to voluminous hours of being on hold. After the 7 days they started charging my account $29.95, and 4 months later I still cannot cancel. After numerous times of trying to cancel my account with no avail. I contacted an attorney and filed a class action suit. If anyone is interested in suing Experian or any company that is affiliated with Experian-for not allowing you to cancel your membership/and or trial membership, please reach out to me.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Don't let anyone at Experian tell you they won't give you a full refund when you are tricked into paying a monthly membership. I recorded the customer service reps telling me that I had zero activity in my account for over 3 months after my "one dollar" credit report, and then I complained to the Better Business Bureau. In the complaint, I said that I had evidence that I never used the service and that Experian never sent one receipt for the charges against my account. Experian gave me a full refund for the months I didn't use it after this complaint.

Do NOT let them tell you that they can't give a full refund, demand to talk to a manager, and then show them my response from the BBB as proof that they give full refunds. Tell them you have recorded the conversation and that you are complaining to the BBB and FTC. The managers are hostile, so be sure to record your conversation. If they say they don't consent to being recorded, tell them that you didn't ask for their consent. Consent is already implied because of the recording at the beginning of the customer service calls that say you may be recorded.

Experian's entire business model is built on doing the least amount possible to let you know you are being charged for a monthly membership, and then making it as difficult as possible to cancel. Customer service reps will tell you it's completely impossible to get a full refund, and then managers of the reps will bully you into not calling anymore. Complain to the BBB, file a complaint with FTC, and then contest the charges with your bank. Don't let them continue to get away with this.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Beware: Do not sign-up for any paid subscription. It is very difficult to cancel your paid subscription online unless you are extremely CAREFUL. Go to the Subscription icon. Click on it. Then scroll down to look for updating your subscription.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Experian continues to report inaccurate or false information on my credit report. I have disputed these inaccuracies multiple times with documentation to prove them, and they refuse to delete them from my file.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I signed up for a 9.99 credit report. The company hid in their terms and conditions that you would automatically be signed up for their 25/month ongoing membership. They do not refund your cost of membership, regardless of their deceptive practices. When calling to cancel my membership, the first assistant hung up on me (given, I told her to stop the ** and cancel my membership). We need the big credit cartels to be broken up. This is unacceptable.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It's disappointing that Experian is not able to provide receipts or an invoice for your transactions. It's almost like they don't want you to know what your spend is for fear of cancellation. This seems like a fairly simple and straightforward request but far too difficult for Experian.

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg