1.09/5

1440 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My husband is being punished TWICE for the same exact student loan on his Experian credit report-one open, one closed-and Experian JUST. WON'T. REMOVE. IT! No matter what we do, or how many disputes we enter/proof we submit, they just won't remove off of his credit report. He just recently disputed it again, final results came in on Oct. 16th...2 days ago. Still there! It's a very clear mistake, even Credit Karma immediately recognized it and removed it for us, off of his report through them. I even told Experian this and yet there it is! Still remaining on his report through Experian! Spare yourself and don't waste your time. Use Credit Karma. Not to mention the fact that you get a free score through Credit Karma and you don't get one through Experian, at all, they make you pay for one.

I'll NEVER get behind a company that doesn't care and doesn't do the right thing and fix problems for people. It's been brought to their attention and addressed many of multiple times now... Someone could have fixed it by now. Anyone! Their dispute center is just AWFUL and USELESS! On the other hand, Credit Karma's is awesome and did remove it because it was the right thing to do. Credit Karma has a wonderful dispute team/center. They are actually trying to help people improve their credit score and remove errors that are HURTING PEOPLE... Experian doesn't care about helping you or your credit score, apparently...AT ALL!

I get SO mad every time I see that CLOSED loan on there. Not to mention the account is already how many years old now...5...almost 6. Like they couldn't just remove it for the sake of it being a disputed problem from us over and over again, for so long and that it's been on there hurting his score for long enough now?? Absolute trash dispute team! I will spread the word any way I can, everywhere I can!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

They assigned me to their monthly service without authorization. They make tiny rule that you don't see whey you are pulling your credit history. You end up paying over $20 monthly plan. Be careful!!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO! Experian is a scammer company that will charge from your credit cards without any permission from you. I paid $4.99 one time fee to dispute some credit report errors without signed up for any free trials or wish to become a paid membership, then I got charged $14.99 on my credit card for the paid membership monthly fee that I didn’t sign up for. This is a straight up robbery!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My attempts to resolve a concern on my credit report with this pathetic company is mind numbing!!! They put me into an endless automated phone response system which never addressed my problem. I was never directed to any real person to talk with. Why does this useless company have so much power over our lives and yet provide no service?? What a freaking joke!!! I called Equifax and TransUnion where I actually spoke to real people who were interested in helping me resolve the issue. Good luck with this sick joke of a company.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I filled out a rental application on Zillow that forced me to run a credit report through Experian. It cost $30 and the credit report came back 160 points lower than the other two main credit institutions reported (TransUnion and Equifax). After filing disputes and many hours of phone calls they found that they accidentally merged another individual's information with mine, despite the other individual living in another state, and having a different SSN, name and gender. Once they fixed the problem I asked for the new credit report but they said if I wanted the updated report I would have to purchase another credit report from them ($40!). In other words, they made me pay for a credit report they screwed up, jeopardized my rental application, cost me hours on the phone and email, and then wouldn't send me an updated credit report without spending another $40. I hope they go bankrupt tomorrow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Experian offers a page with Credit Card Offers that are matched to the credit status of your account. I was told by Experian that having a "Bank Issued" Credit Card would increase my Credit Score and Credit Worthiness over time. So, I looked at the offers that they provided as matched to my Score. I found one that was acceptable and applied for it. Experian shows me on my account that my credit score was 707 (A Good Rating), yet provided to the Credit Card Bank a score of 652 (A Fair Rating).

What is the point of offering me a Credit Score every month if a different score is provided to inquiries by companies? I was denied the Credit Card by Chase Bank because I do not have a Bank Issued Card. Duh! Thats why I was applying for one. How is it a "Matched" card if I get denied for not having a bank card when that is one of the negative factors of my Credit Score. Not Matched. Now, I am dinged for another Hard Inquiry that cannot be disputed perpetrated between Chase Bank and Experian.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

My issue with Experian is concerning their app. & reporting. When you are a member of Experian you will see "Helping" & "Hurting" Factors concerning your credit. Be aware, potential creditors can see those too! So, when Experian reported that I have "few accounts that are in good standing", "short credit history" & "no recent activity on credit cards and/or open-ended accounts" I was upset to say the least. Especially, considering I am 43 yrs old with 25 years of positive credit, all of which are open & currently being used. I opened a ticket with Experian in the beginning of July. This is now the end of September. I have called & spoken to multiple supervisors (the latest being Brenda) all who assured me their IT department is aware of the ticket & are handling the tickets in the order in which they are received.

I asked Brenda if there are really that many inaccuracies being reported that they have a 3 month + back up? Possibly, can they really not afford enough staffing to correct the issues with a net income of almost 1 billion a year? I tried to explain to Brenda that it has been a quarter of the year & interest rates are increasing. As time goes on & they fail to correct this issue, Experian costs me more. Just like every other representative/supervisor I received nothing but indifference & no assistance. They will offer NO information or further assistance. I asked Brenda who I could call or speak to that could help me & she plainly stated, "No one. I.T. doesn't accept calls & we have to wait for them to review your ticket." I am still waiting. Pretty sweet system. Experian collects substantial income, reports misleading, inaccurate information that can be damaging & very costly & they have no consequences.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I didn't realize I was getting into a trap when I signed up for the "free" credit monitoring. I canceled (or so I thought) shortly after I got my info but I was still charged $19.99 anyway after the "free" period! When I went online to cancel there was no option for cancellation and the phone number listed didn't give an option to cancel nor to get in touch with someone. I finally had to GTS to find out how to cancel the account. I found a different phone number that still wouldn't send me to a person but it said I was canceled. We'll see! DON'T GET ANY PAID SERVICES FROM EXPERIAN. They will use underhanded tactics to prevent you from canceling anything! Experian is barely above telemarketers in my opinion! I'll NEVER USE THEM AGAIN!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Paid $1 to receive FICO score. The fact that you would be charged $21.95 several months later and every month subsequent was never disclosed at any point in time during the transaction. Couldn't find appropriate email to contact them. Tried several different automated phone numbers to no avail. Finally found a number where I could speak with an actual person. Was put on hold for approximately 23 minutes before I finally gave up. Save your time and money and look elsewhere if you're looking to manage/inquire about your credit.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

This company does not allow live customer service contact! All Experian telephone numbers put you in a loop! I paid $10.00 to unlock/unfreeze credit info for a home loan and never relocked it, however account is locked without my permission! If I ever get the opportunity to meet the CEO, I will have two choice words for him and they won't be "Happy Birthday!"

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I signed up for a 7 day free trial to check my credit score. Immediately called and canceled a day after. They ended up charging me 2 consecutive months for an upgraded subscription, which I never agreed to. How they can do this? No idea. I can guess it's one of these fine-print scam companies. They should be shut down immediately in my opinion, and the CEO and all his cronies made an example of.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Experian is one of those borderline illegal businesses that muddles around in the same category as a robo-dialer or donation scam. First of all, I was never even able to log in to use Experian. The password reset system kept sending me random login passwords with &'s and other various symbols. I called to cancel my subscription. This was difficult in its own right given that the only way they make money is by making it difficult for you to cancel their ** of a subscription service. 5 months later, I rediscovered that they have been charging me 21.95/mo. They will not process refunds for this. If you are stupid enough (like me) to give them your credit card info, be warned. They also have the ability to directly charge your checking account even if you've canceled the previous card or its expiration has run out.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Experian's credit monitoring service is a joke. They have all my student loan accounts listed as closed when they are actually open, I have tried and tried to resolve this but somehow they cannot solve this simple issue. The other day I received a notice that my credit score has dropped due to a missed payment. I log in to see what it is and all my accounts show no late payments, as they should; again, cannot reach anyone at Experian to even address the issue. Customer service number has NO way of getting through to a person - the only option you have is freeze your credit, or request a report through the automated system. I'll stick with TransUnion thank you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

About two years ago we signed up for this service. After 6 months we called up and canceled the service but they continued to charge our credit card so I called up again and canceled it again. This time they stopped billing us for several months and then started again. I have now blocked them on our credit card and I am also filing a complaint with the consumer fraud division of the Az Atty General. This company is not to be trusted and if you do as I foolishly did there are no humans to complain to.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

As other have said, they somehow tricked me into purchasing this monitoring service for 4.99 the first month, then 14.99 a month. After 3 months we noticed these charges and called to cancel. The rep eventually refunded the last pending charge, but wouldn't refund the first two, despite having a money back guarantee, that is supposed to go back 60 days. Per the rep, it does go back 60 days but they only refund 1 months worth of charges, whatever that means. They wouldn't budge. They know they are using sleight of hand marketing to fool people into purchasing something they don't want or need, and then made it very hard to cancel and use their "Money back guarantee". Sad that this is a credit reporting agency that seems to be run as bad or worse than the immoral companies they allegedly are trying to protect you from.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Experian is horrible! I have a 7 year freeze on my SS# after having my identity stolen just over 2 years ago. I have not had a problem until now, but this one is stressful. Experian sent a letter to an old address dated 2 weeks ago stating that either my name, address or SS# had been changed in the last 30 days. I never got that letter at my current address, which I have lived for 2 years. This seems crazy to me, but tried to call the numbers on the letter to make sure no one was messing with my information.

I have tried about 20 times to all the numbers I can find, including the original paperwork I have from when my credit was frozen originally. I put in everything they ask for, but can't verify and hang up on me over and over. The letter said to check my credit report, which I finally got, and nothing looks incorrect. I would like to talk to someone and find out what they got that prompted the letter, but you can't talk to anyone there. I think it is wrong that a company can hold your information hostage and something should be done about it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I tried to look for an alternative to LifeLock and the Experian CreditLock process seemed to be a good option based on their advertisements. However it was a nightmare once I tried to set up an account. I initially signed up for a family plan which immediately charged my credit card a 19.95 recurring charge. When I tried to add my husband it wouldn't let me without another credit card. When I tried to cancel it wouldn't let me. I finally got a customer service rep after several days of trying. DO NOT try this service!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

They will charge your credit card $21+ for a "monthly service". Although this may have been in their fine print, they are deceptive. It was NOT worded clearly in any of the print. I clearly pressed the button for a $1 credit report, and there should have been no monthly charge after that. It took a nightmare of a hassle to even switch to the free one. This should have never happened. Thankfully I caught it BY CHANCE because I happened to go into the "my profile" tab to make sure they wouldn't be storing my card info etc... and yep they do.

This company is a huge scam. Just like someone else mentioned, of all companies to do this... IRONY at its finest! They profit off of the intelligence of others, knowing they won't read. THAT is deceit. They knew that people didn't see anything pop up. We signed up for the $1 report and that's why they worded it in a manipulative way, so we'd all get sucked in. People here paid hundreds of dollars for this. SCAM SCAM SCAM. BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have tried many times to release my credit report for one company. I tried their online system, and found that they claim my credit info is not locked, and want to charge me to lock it! But, I use USAA, and they have a free service to lock it! I called them, and they confirmed that my credit info is locked! So, Experian is trying to get me to pay for something that I already have! I'll bet that a lot of people have had the same experience, and paid their fee!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have disputed Wells Fargo Bank with Experian and they have simply stated it is accurate without conducting a proper investigation under FCRA requirements. There is a 4 year statute of limitations in Florida and a 7 year from first date of delinquency reporting max per FCRA. This credit bureau (Experian) is allowing inaccurate, incomplete and erroneous information to show on my credit report. They refuse to delete a charge off from a company. I've disputed this account many times and they refuse to delete this account that is just parked there without reporting or sending me any original signed contract that I’ve signed. I have not provide me with the METHOD of Verification of their investigation. I have demanded to see verifiable proof (original signed contract with my signature on it) of all negative accounts being reported on my credit file. They will not follow the fair credit report act.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Do not sign up with Experian. Plenty of ways to check your credit score for free. I have called 3 times in 3 months. $26.55 charge continues to be applied to charge card. It takes forever to get to customer service. And just like a bad review I saw for Experian on ConsumerAffairs.Com, when you do get someone to complain & ask for a supervisor, they put you on hold & then disconnect. Call your Credit Card, they will file a complaint against Experian. Do not try to cancel/get a new card. Recurring charges will apply to the new card. That is what happened to me. I also have an email from Experian stating that they would cancel my account 6 weeks ago. That would help your case with credit card company. Considering the services Experian offer, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Back in October I signed up to review my credit score and entered my card information to be charged $1... I just noticed that I have been being charged $21.95 every month since October! I called to get my money back and they told me they could not refund me, even though I did not sign up or use this service. They told me it says fineprint that if you don’t cancel the membership after the first month, they will start charging you $21.95 a month. I did not see this anywhere and if it is in fine print, they’re wrong and scamming people right and left! HUGE SCAM! Stealing people's money is not the right way to run a company!! I never even received an email stating I would be charged this monthly since I didn’t cancel. DISAPPOINTED isn’t even the word!

Original review: July 30, 2018

They have a phone scam, collect all your personal data and then hang up or go into a nonsense of mess for you to send in on a temporary credit freeze lift. Worse thing ever, they do not answer any phone the website never works and my personal ability to unlock my credit is held hostage to their ridiculous antics... We all need to file with the FTC immediately! The other credit companies are efficient and responsive and I lifted with Equifax in 2 seconds online... Furious after 12 calls and multiple web attempts.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We needed to lift a credit freeze temporarily so that my husband could renew the bond for his business. We went to the site to do it online. We had all of the required information, including the secret pin number that Experian gave us when we froze the account. After entering all of the data, including pin number, dates, SSN, contact information, etc., and entering credit card data required for the fee, after going through all that, we got the message that there was a system problem and asking us to try again later. Of course we did.

We tried this over and over, over the course of two days, at different times of the day. We attempted to find phone support, but after doing everything we could figure out to reach a real person, we gave up, went online, and found several pages of reviews by people who were unable ever to reach a live person at Experian. We then tried the phone method to lift a credit freeze. This we did about six times. We'd enter or say all the correct information, but eventually the regular recorded voice would change, and we would hear "please send us a letter to accomplish your credit freeze" (or words to that effect). This recording came on at a different time each time we tried. I am full of helpless loathing. We have no control over this company's access to our data; and yet they make it impossible to exercise any control over the data. We are dealing with it by seeking out a bond company that does not use Experian to do credit checks.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It was easy to find an assortment of places and prices plus ratings of the hotels. Also they give points that can be used to apply to future bookings to lower the cost.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Experian gives you a credit report for $1 but enrolls you in $21.95 monthly payments as part of their fine print. They don't send you any warning emails or have an option to cancel on their site. You have to call customer service and act angry and ask to speak to a manager in order to get the $21.95 charge refunded. These are unethical business practices. Take your business elsewhere.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I would like to submit a complaint against Experian. I received an email this morning (07/20/18) from Experian stating that my credit score had increased (attached) and upon logging into my account to review, then saw an alert that stated my score had decreased by 15 points, with no explanation. I attempted calling the customer service number listed for Experian (1-866-617-1894), and cannot for the life of me understand the representative on the line. The language barrier is so incredibly horrible it made it almost impossible to have a conversation and to obtain answers to the questions I need to be answered regarding my credit report!

Upon calling back a second time, I speak to a gentleman who cannot explain to me why my score has dropped. July 13th, my score increased by 10 points, July 19th I received an alert that my credit card issuer (Capital One) raised my credit limit, and then July 20th my score decreased by 15 points. This is fraudulent and Experian needs to be investigated. I have worked SO hard to get my credit score up and to have this happen and to receive no explanation for why is a complete slap in the face and no one should have to go through this. Please let me know next steps on processing this complaint and advise if there is any further information needed to process. My next step will be to acquire legal representation to address this. Thank you in advance for your support.

Original review: June 29, 2018

First they send you an email saying your credit score has slightly changed do you want to know why? When you go to the site they tell you that for $1 you can see why. You click on the box and you then get the terms and conditions that you must agree to. Buried in that agreement is you're signing up for a membership of $21.95 a month. A total scam. Bait and Switch. Use TransUnion or Equifax. This is shameful. You don't even have to read my review, they are already rated one star by everyone else. I give them no stars but the system will not let me. Thanks.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Experian refuse to removed information disputed from file after submitting, FTC report, Police Report. They continue to say "The account has been verified" when asked for verification, they never send any verification. I went to their reporting source LexisNexis who completed an investigation and removed the item from their report because they was unable to verify it. They informed all three credit bureau to delete the information because they could verify it. All credit bureaus deleted the information except Experian who claims they verified it which is incorrect. I'm Looking to start a CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST EXPERIAN!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Never in all my years of dealing with a company have I experienced such poor service. After placing a freeze on my credit and then wanting to remove it months later, I attempted to do this online, because I could not get through via the telephone. Their telephone prompts for me was like you were on a merry-go-round. Kept bringing me back to the main menu when all I wanted to do was speak with a rep to have my freeze removed. So, I decided to attempt it online and I got to the portion where they ask you security questions. I answered all of them correctly and submitted the form. I then got booted off the system. I must have tried about 10 more times online and to no avail could I do it. So again, back to the phone.

I finally found a phone number that will eventually put you through a rep. 800-493-1058. Get ready to press many buttons. It was a guessing game that finally got me through. I thought I had success, but I've learned, according to the rep, if you failed to answer a security question online, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing they can do for you to remove the freeze. They could not ask me any security question to remove the freeze, because the backward system that Experian has there does not allow them to do it. So, I was told to upload documents (License, utility bill, bank statements, etc...), anything that proves your identity. I asked for an email or a fax. They don't have one. That's right, THEY DON'T HAVE ONE. Imagine that. In today's day of technology, they don't have one.

All the rep could tell me was, it's for security reasons. LOL... More like, they are living in the stone ages. So, now I am back to the computer. After 5 tries, I finally got my documents uploaded. I was told it will take 5-10 business days before it happens. What am I supposed to tell the Seller of the house I am buying? I put the freeze on because of a hack. I think I would of rather rolled the dice and having someone steal my identity, than to have to go through I went through with Experian. TRULY SHAMEFUL and EMBARRASSING for this company. STAY THE ** AWAY!!! You have been warned.

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg