Experian

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Someone needs to do something about this company intentionally deceiving people. I too paid $1.00 for a credit report but instead they signed me up at $21.99 a month. I wasn’t even able to cancel my subscription without paying a $50 balance. My account was locked until I entered info to pay this bill. Someone really needs to put a stop to this.

I cannot believe these guys get away with what they do. Their website will not allow me to dispute online. I thought that maybe I needed a membership to dispute so I signed up online and paid the money. Still cannot dispute online. Called Experian and got sent around on a wild goose chase of transferring me to other people. I simply want to dispute something on my credit but they make it so difficult and damn near impossible that I have given up.

After getting "tricked" into thinking I was getting a free credit report, I immediately cancelled membership and they will not stop sending me spam/Marketing emails -- despite over 10 requests to remove me!!! Why is there no "unsubscribe" option at bottom of every junk email??? I think I know the answer -- that's how they make money, misleading about their products and then spamming the death out of you and selling your credit score to other spammers!

I signed for Experian to keep track of my credit score and to see if I can do anything to improve it ($9.97 per month). Turned out to be a vastly inaccurate and misleading score. First of all, if you want to get your credit score from the three agencies they will charge you extra $39 per report. Secondly, I kept receiving that my score is in very good/exceptional category. However, once I applied to a loan, they did a credit check and turned out that my Experian score was over 100 points off. Called the customer service, they gave me the whole speech that scores can be calculated differently, and algorithms and such. Personally, I do not care, I signed for the service expecting to get a good estimate of my score, after all Experian is one of the scores on the credit report. If I cannot get a good estimate then I do not see the point of having this service.

Experian has a promotion to purchase a credit report for $1.00 but, in the deceptive (small print), they will really charge you $24-$26 monthly... forever! Even when I try to cancel the charge (I've tried for over a year) they will not stop charging my card. I've changed card numbers, twice, and received a different account number but the charges keep coming. I try to call, each month, and the outcome is never satisfactory... to cancel the monthly charge. My credit card company says Experian needs to stop charges but they have every excuse, including long waits and call disconnects, that keep the charges coming. It's a huge time waster and very upsetting to see the month after month charges and to know I will have to take more time trying to get it taken off.

I've contacted ** and filed a complaint with a government agency. Experian has been deceptive, greedy and dishonest in many regards. They seem to think they are above ethical practices. Please don't end up like me and so many others. Don't buy anything from Experian. You can get a free credit report... working through other sources. Investigate the deception and crimes, even the lawsuits, charged against these credit reporting agencies. They can do anything they want and get away with it. Please stop buying from them and they will be forced to stop deceiving the public.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

While in middle of disputing inaccurate items on my report, was suddenly signed out. When attempted to get back in was given message could not process my request at this time. I spent a lot of time reviewing and detailing why information not correct. I feel it was an attempt to get me to purchase membership. There were numerous reporting errors. I have not been able to sign back in to get resolved. For credit reports to be used in life altering decisions, it should be a crime to reflect such unreliable content. It is very alarming, I bet if the power to sue over wrong info was allowed they would be a lot more careful with the content. The credit reporting industry is such a fraud, a mere money making scam!

Using free credit report for my daughter. She wanted to know her score so I paid the $1 to find out. Experian then put me on a recurring charge for 21.95!!! I did not request it! I have to assume they did their best to hide that a subscription was involved. I usually look for this kind of deception, but did not see it. It was not until I saw my bill that I had any clue. Experian was willing to cancel the membership, but would not discuss reimbursing the membership I had no intent to sign up for or use.

We signed up for a Credit Report (2 accounts) on Experian which was $1.09 each one. On May 17, 2017, we printed out the reports, on June 14, 2017 Experian charged our account for $23.90 twice = $47.80. On June 28, 2017 Experian Charged our account again for the same amount ($47.80) for a total of $95.60. When we call the customer service we waited for 1 hour and then they hang up on us 2 times and the 3rd rep after 30 minutes says they can only refund the last month. Please if you are reading this don't use Experian.

I was under the impression that I was only paying one dollar to see my credit score one time. I was then charged a $22 monthly payment a few days later for creating an account with Experian. They did a good job of hiding that information on all of their web pages. The advertisement stated that I would receive my credit score for one dollar. After being charged the $22, I found a statement at the bottom of the web page in fine print explaining this clause. When I called to ask them about the charge, I was given the runaround. I then requested to speak with a supervisor, and was promptly hung up on. I called back and eventually contacted a supervisor who told me the best they could do was cancel my account for free without a refund.This is shady business work in my opinion and wouldn't recommend working with Experian unless you want to be overcharged for their services.

I paid a dollar to get a free credit report on freecreditreport.com. I had no idea that I was going to be signed up for a monthly membership where they would be charging me. After I paid the $1 then I never got an email from freecreditreport.com. Instead I began getting emails from Experian but I thought they were spam because I never went to the Experian site and never signed up for newsletters from Experian. I never used the service, I was never sent an email welcoming me to a monthly charge service, there was no warning that I would be charged at all. I was signed up from January until June being charged $21.95 each month. My husband and I moved across country and missed this charge for whatever reason.

When I called they would only refund me "as a courtesy" one month of $21.95. I waited more than 30 minutes to speak with a supervisor and she argued with me saying that I paid the $1 and should have seen that I was enrolling in a monthly program. Honestly I thought that it was an "option" not something automatic but would never have gone through with the $1 if I had known. I did not want the monthly program, I did not request the monthly program, and I never used the program that they offered.

They said that it's not their problem that I never used the membership... The problem is that I never knew I had a program to use because I never requested, wanted, or signed up for the membership... So I never knew I had a membership to use. The "supervisor" decided to continue to argue with me. It was the worst customer service that I have ever experienced. This business model is highly unethical and the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. This company is basically stealing people's money by signing them up for something they never wanted or asked for.

They only refunded me $21.95 and would not budge on the rest of the money. I tried calling again but they would not budge. The people who take the calls are very well trained and have no real heart. They basically told me that it was all my fault. This company chooses to not be transparent intentionally because if they had just sent me an email saying that I was not going to be billed monthly I would have called to cancel... But that is the way they make all of their money. I guess I've been gotten by a truly rotten company.

$19.99 just to look at a score given to my creditors almost daily? Really?! Account canceled. More spam emails from Experian inviting me back to view my score once again. I pay $4.95 to see it once and bingo, I'm back on the $19.99/mo. plan again?! Don't forget to read the small print! It all boils down to one thing, way too much money for a product that is paid for by my creditors. It should be free to see what others are doing to track your every move behind your back. In fact there ought to be a law that requires Experian and the others to send every person they track a duplicate, containing your credit score, for every credit report it issues to creditors. BTW, my credit score is in the low 800's, high 700's so I'm not a bum. Just angry that banks and their allies are so damn greedy and ruthless.

Wow tricked by Experian, I just noticed that they have been charging me $24.99 per month for a "membership" I did not sign up for. The response was to credit one month, it has been 9 months, I see the same complaints come in... Why hasn’t anything been done? Class action…etc.?

I shouldn't be surprised by the number of people who have my exact same complaint. I logged into Experian to thaw my credit freeze and apparently, without my knowledge, was signed up for a membership and was charged $21.95 because I didn't cancel a membership I never knowingly signed up for. Of course they were unwilling to refund my money. Very disappointing customer service. Their customer service reps were also very unhelpful on the phone - very rude and dismissing.

They overcharge for the service they provide. You get 1 credit score, not all 3. It started out at 19.99 a month for basically looking at my credit report. When I canceled after 6 months it was amazing. The phone calls from scams and emails started coming the same day I canceled. I doubt that this is a coincidence as I asked one company who gave them permission to pull my credit and they stated Experian gave my information.

Needed my CC information for identity proof to get my credit report. Cancelled right after I received the report. Manage to charge me for 6 MONTHS. Then I call, they say they can give me one month if I want more. I have to hold and it will be between 30 to 50 minutes. Of course! Do not do business.

Like most everyone else, I signed up for the free trial and the company started charging my card every month from that point on. This credit check was for moving to a new home. Luckily, I caught this fraud after the very first charge to my card. I immediately canceled. Big Fish Games had a HUGE class action lawsuit thrown at them for doing this very same thing. Making things so confusing that the consumer doesn't realize they're signing up for a monthly charge. Big Fish lost and had to pay back the money taken out of all those accounts. Experian? Your days are numbered. How DARE you steal money from people by hiding the information about monthly charges. I will NEVER use your company again. Good luck in court.

I visited Experian website to obtain my credit score for $1.09. However, as I was about to finish I was given the option of obtaining my score from the three major reporting companies. I said yes, and obtained my scores which was a waste of time. The difference in the score was just one digit. Later, I realized I was charged $43.40 for a membership I did not sign up for! It is a scam that should be stopped by the regulatory bodies. I am waiting for my money to be credited back and will get it.

I paid $159.95 to Experian in January 2017 for a subscription that was in effect until February 2020. I never was able to access the report I paid for! Today I decided that I did not need identity theft protection and checked the Experian website for cancellation policies. The reply was that if I canceled within 180 days I would get a refund. Today at day 151 I called to cancel and get my refund. After over an hour on the phone I was told I would get a check for a little over $30. Then I was told that if I had waited to cancel for a year, I would get more than $30 back. I think they are dishonest.

I am honestly surprised that Experian's tactics are legal. Coming from a background of owning a web app & website development company, I was still duped by Experian's sinister registration process of conning their users (victims) into a subscription that they are unaware of -- then telling those 'customers' it was their own fault, and then refusing to offer refunds. I actually think that their entire business model is run on this model, intentionally conning people. I called Wells Fargo Fraud detection and they mentioned that the complaint was so common, they had a customer service number for Experian ON FILE.

Think about that for a moment. I was so disturbed by this, I wrote an article about it. I encourage everyone to take some form of action -- dispute your charges with your bank/card, file a complaint with the BBB, and take to social media against this injustice. This is not simple miscommunication within an organization. I believe this to be intentional -- all the way up to the highest ranks within the company.

I signed up for a "$1' credit report. I was thereafter charged $23 month before I noticed after 5 months. I disputed the charge, and Experian referred to some terms of service I never knowingly agreed to or even saw, as the Experian offer landing page was deceptive. Experian refused to refund more than 1 month. This is how they make their money.

Regarding free credit report from Experian. Their website has a page with a block around a statement that indicates in part "order summary, credit works $1.00, credit report, FICO score, credit overview, credit alerts, FICO tracker alerts, toll free support, attempted inquiry alerts. Order total $1.00." To me, this is the total contract people are signing up for. Any requirements elsewhere in their website should have no bearing on this contract. Any charges other than this contract should be considered illegal. Someone should be able to resolve this problem for all those overcharged. Waiting for someone to act.

Just like previous reviews, I was tricked by Experian. My goal was to see my credit score so I paid the $1 to sign up. However, Experian also signs you up automatically for a program that charges you monthly. Of course no email stating such terms, and no word until I get charged $21.95. At any rate, I call their department. At first they said they were going to reverse the charge, I wait 40 minutes on hold just so the supervisor can say no. Not only that while I am on the call I get an email cancelling my account. What disgusting business model.

HORRIBLE DO NOT USE EXPERIAN!!! Someone opened an account online with my information. I immediately called my bank and notified them about the fraudulent charges taken out of my account. I called Experian apparently anyone can open an account online. They do not require any signatures or forms of ID. They did not care at all that the name on the account did not match my name, birth date or address. Instead they gladly withdrew $29.95 from my account every month and did not want to reimburse me once fraud charges were filed and finally proven it was not me that opened this account. IT was a disaster in no way did Experian apologize or make the process easier by helping resolve it. It's ironic they are supposed to be protecting you from exactly this situation. Instead they are thieves themselves. DO NOT USE.

The same story as my previous reviewers: started from your free credit report, allured you with 1$ service I could not recall at all. Then you found you were charged 21.95$ monthly fee, because that 1$ charge is some kind of 7-day free trial. I happened to notice the charge right after my card was charged (still pending actually). I called Experian. They immediately canceled my membership, but refused to refund the 21.95$ charge. About 30 min holding, the supervisor gave me the same answer. They would not refund the occurred charge. They showed the trial info, charging info at several places. I guess it is not so difficult to hide those info several places people usually don't look at.

I told them I would not give up so. I trusted them as a fraud prevention company and was cheated (tricked, ripped off). I filed dispute with my bank. Everybody knows what happened when they heard the story. I just want to share it here hoping it can prevent somebody else to fell into the trap. Also, with little hope, Experian will be punished for such dishonest business model and stopped ripping customers this way. They only sent me confirmation number for canceling my membership. But never sent me any information on starting the membership nor charging my card.

I was directed to the Experian website via my credit card to obtain my free credit report and score. The website references "FREE" ten times on the first two webpages, as well as on every page including the offer to receive a credit score for $1. Do NOT give them your credit card information as the Experian Consumer Services website is rampant with attempts to quickly and unsuspectingly collect revenue from the consumers they claim to "protect". Unknowingly I signed up for the Experian Consumer Services, Experian Creditworks that costs $21.95 monthly. I identified the $1 charge and the $21.95 charge on my credit card statement (post 7 days) from "enrollment".

I promptly called 1-866-617-1894. After 32 minutes of being on hold and speaking with the first representative and failure to refund the $21.95 I requested to speak with supervisor. The supervisor refused to refund the $21.95 after multiple request and after 52 minutes (approximately 35 of 52 minutes on hold) I ended the phone call. Experian Consumer Service has poor quality customer service as evidenced from their misleading advertising, website, emails, excessive hold times and unwillingness to refund unwanted services. Experian Consumer Services intent is to collect as much revenue as possible from unsuspecting consumers while operating within the slimmest margins of the law. I would not recommend Experian Consumer Services.

Like other reviewers I was also seduced by Experian to get my credit score for $1, and supposedly in print. Automatically signed up for a service I had no intention to sign up for. They would not reverse the $23.32 charge on my credit card. When I asked for a supervisor to help get the credit I just waited forever and no one showed up on the phone. Experian is supposed to save you from fraud. I have to save myself from the fraud that Experian is.

Upon requesting a credit report from Experian, I had to create an account. In step 2 (of a 4-step process), information appeared on the right hand side about a service called Experian CreditWorks. Yet according to Experian's web page when this product is first mentioned, this service is indicated to have a cost of $0.00. There is nothing on this web page indicating additional costs or a trial period that would be followed by a monthly fee. Because of the page showing step 2 and clear indication that the CreditWorks program was free, there was no reason for me to believe that there was a trial period and consequential monthly charges.

It was only upon receiving a paper copy of my credit card statement that I was made aware of my enrollment. I contacted Experian and had the membership cancelled. But they claim that the charge is valid because I had requested the service, which I adamantly did not. I believe Experian misrepresented themselves in order to charge me for a service I never wanted or requested.

I purchased the Experian membership. I called Experian to follow up on some unauthorized installment loan inquiries that were reflecting negatively on my report. Prior to this call I disputed these transactions through the financial institution who submitted the unauthorized inquiry. I submitted the error/removal letter they sent me, to Experian stating the inquiries were in error and needed to be suppressed. After verifying my personal information and explaining my problem to 4 different Experian reps, the last rep disconnected me. I called back and it started to in the same pattern "let me transfer you to dispute specialist".

3 representatives into this call I asked for a manager. Ken, manager of Team Paragon got on the phone. I explained how these inquiries were not authorized and how I had placed my account on "block" to prevent more fraudulent inquiries but needed to have the others removed. He found the letter I provided from the financial institute. But said that he won't delete the negative hard inquiry errors from my report because I used them as a bank. And I repeated that I never applied for loans on those inquires and I had the letter from that confirming I was in error and they would be suppressed. But they were still there and not removed. I also asked him if he was aware of the federal laws (FCRA) protecting people from this type of stuff? He said this situation does not apply.

I repeated that they didn't have my approval to pull a hard inquiry. He stuck it's his answer and I said, "So what I'm hearing you say is that anyone can pull a hard inquiry against my credit without my permission?" He said, "Yes, if it's in their best interest they can." I couldn't believe what I was hearing from management in the Dispute Department of the bureau. I said "in their best interest for what? I wasn't applying for any financing through them. And this inquiry is damaging my score." He stuck to his guns and I asked for his employee number. Even after providing proof that the report was incorrect, I was told it would stay the same.

Experian has been charging my credit card $20/month (Plus $40 initially) without my knowledge since August of 2016. This company advertises a $1 credit report and then proceeds to continue to charge people for a membership that they did not actually sign up for. I was able to retrieve about 25% of what they took from me, but this company is basically a scam.

I, like so many others who seem to have been duped by this company, gave my dollar for my credit report. Unbeknownst to me, my credit card was being charged 23.99 each month. This happened for 6 months. Now, I'll take culpability for not checking my statement but this "reputable " company, does nothing to help the consumer. I called and spoke with a customer service representative and repeatedly asked to speak with a supervisor. After 30 minutes waiting for said supervisor, I was finally able to get through to Javora. Javora stated their company has no fault and I am basically still being charged for May. What a corrupt system! DO NOT USE EXPERIAN.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.
  • Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.
  • Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.
  • Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.
  • 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.
  • Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.
  • Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Compare Credit Report Sites