1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1470 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I noticed that Experian started charging me $5 a month in November for a membership which I never signed up for. I called the number on the Experian charge profile and entered into an automated system which did not offer the option to speak to a representative. Once I navigated to the option to cancel the membership, I received a response stating that I did not have one. I contacted my credit card bank to open a dispute. I was told that they are receiving many calls about this same Experian charge. I will get the charges reversed. Beware, check your statements closely!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Signed up for the, what I believe was a year, free trial. I must have forgotten after a year, obviously, and I have been charged $21.95 for 6 months. I think this tactic is very sly and purposely meant go unnoticed by many consumers in order to basically steal money. I always remember what bills are being deducted out of my account because I receive some type of notification. However, I did not receive any email or letter stating money was being taken out of my account. I believe as a credit union this is not a fair service to advertise, and the money should definitely be refunded. Very disappointed and seriously angry.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I froze all 3 of my credit bureau accounts when Equifax decided to give all of my personal and financial information to hackers. A company I am doing business with needed access to my Experian account. For whatever reason, I could not log-in to my account and the website did not recognize my SSN. I have spent 1/2 a day and 7 different phone numbers trying to get into my account. Can't get a live rep at any of the numbers. Wish I was not even associated with his organization. If they were not a company that the general public HAS to be enslaved to, they would out of business in a day. If I could give them a 0 rating I would. What a great way to run a company; avoid your customers at all costs. Does anybody know if Experian even has a phone system in their offices?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

It's unacceptable for a credit reporting bureau to be that difficult to reach on the phone. Their automatic menu is frustrating and doesn't cover 1/2 consumers' needs, and if you don't have a membership with them...then good luck reaching a customer service representative, I mean a live talking person to explain your situation to and try to resolve your report problems with. They seem not to care about others than their monthly paying members, and I say that from experience: after several ridiculously frustrating calls where it was impossible for me to speak to someone, I subscribed for their almost $20 monthly plan with a free trial month, and surprisingly, the call that followed went through like a breeze. It's outraging that a company that monitors and manages something critical like people's credits use such low-level tactics to discourage people from contacting them or pushing them to pay for what is their right.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I tried to call them many times with lots of different numbers, all of them was a machine. Finally, I found a video on Youtube. Simply, sign in to Experian.com and go to My Profile. Click the 'My Membership' on the left menu. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can find a link 'update online'. Go into that link, change your plan to 'individual' - $0.00/month. That's it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Most phone numbers found in searching (the list I tried is posted here- all numbers end up saying "Goodbye" with no options for a live rep.) get you into a frustrating, non-productive loop: 866-617-1894; 714-830-7000; 877-284-7942; 800-493-1058. I actually called an Equifax "live number" and a rep. was kind enough to give me an Experian "live number". THE NUMBER TO CALL FOR A LIVE PERSON IS: 866-640-2273. After waiting 20 minutes, the rep. who answered told me she couldn't help with membership and transferred me. After a few more minutes of waiting, a live person in membership responded. I asked for their direct number in case we were disconnected: 888-397-3742. (Note that I tried this number later. Again, it is the endless loop. Don't use it.)

The rep. found my account (that I couldn't find by phone or online) and cancelled it; however, she firmly stated the contract notes that no refunds are permitted and my $32.57 now pending on my charge would remain. I asked her to connect me to a supervisor. She "tried connecting me" and 5 seconds later came back online to state that she could now refund $29.97. I told her the charge is $32.57.

I insisted on speaking to the supervisor. After holding for several more minutes, the supervisor came on. I stated my whole case. He apologized for the glitches in the system, stating that the entire amount of $32.57 was being refunded. His explanation is that they are working on integrating their system to avoid these situations. Overall - horrible experience. Feels like a total scam. Do not purchase the free trial unless you want this frustrating experience.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

So here is my story. I registered a service called Triple Alert from Experian long time back. And they no longer support this product, but I noticed they were keep charging my credit card until today, even after card was expired and account number was changed! I tried automated phone service (Experian service number), but it was keep being told by machine that my account doesn't even exist...and I was stuck. So, knowing ProtectMyID company is also a part of Experian, I called their customer service number instead. 1-866-960-6943. This number allowed me to directly speak to a live customer rep. and representative was able to pull up my information, and I was finally able to cancel my membership.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I had an account with Experian. I want to close it and I can't. When I call and provide all my personal information to a recorded voice it tell me the account doesn't exist but they keep charging my bank account. I tried canceling the card and they sent me a new one and they automatically charge the new card. The kicker is even if I close my account they will continue to charge me and ding my credit. Where are our protections from this fraudulent process. Experian is nothing but a ripoff. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Experian hides the fact that a premium membership is automatically renewed. Then, when you find out and want to end the membership, they make it very difficult. If you call customer support, the phone system requests your social security number before they will put you through. When you do connect with a customer service rep they are dismissive and unhelpful.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Of the three credit bureaus I had to contact about a death in my family, Experian was terrible. I had to speak with a person about what process I had to follow in this case. Getting to speak with a human was almost impossible. I wanted to put a freeze on my deceased father's account. All due respect to non-native English speakers, but this is an important matter. When I did finally speak with someone, they did not understand my issue, thinking it was "me" that I was making the freeze for! VERY frustrating and time-consuming. But Experian was the worst by far. One point, (for better or worse) these 3 Credit Bureaus are NOT part of the government and so they do what is financially best for them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

On 11/14/2018 I tried to log into my Experian account. I was unsuccessful and a phone number popped up so I called because I wanted to cancel my monthly acct.of 24.99. I was greeted with a foreign voice which fortunately I was able to understand. I asked him to cancel my account. The payment was not yet due until the 27th of the month - an auto deduct from my credit card.

What I was told made no sense to me- First he tells me because they are doing a migration of the accounts my account was canceled. I should have received an email stating the migration not that my account would be closed. Since I rec'd no email I asked him if it stated in the email that if I didn't reply to the email would my account automatically be cancelled? He said it would be upgraded to the new system? MORE CHARGES??? I don't know. I asked him, "Please cancel NOW" (to make it official that I cancelled) even though he said I no longer had an account, and "DO NOT charge me on the 27th."

He said I need to call back in a week. That they will charge me again and credit me??? I told him, "NO, I did not want to call back. I want this off my plate now at 11:35 AM 11/14/2018." He said because of the migration he can't do that? I said, "It is already cancelled. Why not? This seems highly illegal!" HE HUNG UP ON ME!!! Had I not called I never would have known my account was cancelled. What kind of company is this that holds you hostage giving out credit scores yet can jerk people around when it comes to their business. This is exactly WHY people have trouble with creditors - this is why it's hard to fix credit - you would think they would be sympathetic? They have their own rules.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

On 10/1/18, I called to set up a security freeze at all of the credit bureaus. Soon after that, I received the information from the other companies. It has been almost 1-1/2 months later, I am still waiting for Experian's information. To top it off, I have spent about three hours today ATTEMPTING to find a contact "support" phone number for them to deal with this; round-and-round, several numbers, inputting my S.S./etc. info only to get their automated crap that never gets me to a live person to talk to; no email or chat thing either! I would actually like to give Experian a zero vote!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Experian is a horrible site that charges you for things you never agreed to. I've been being charged for some subscription and have had no way of finding out why this is happening. They also insist on taking personal info such as social security numbers in a Dark Web Scan. I have no idea what they're doing with this information. Very skeptical. I hope I can somehow get my situation figured out soon.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Unbeknownst to me, or other Experian Credit Tracker app users, recent phone updates made it so that app was no longer accessible. The app WAS THE ONLY reason why I agreed to pay $24.99/month for credit monitoring (it was convenient). For the past few months, I have tried countless times to make contact with Experian to cancel my membership. EVERY phone number provided is an automated, with NO OPTION to cancel the paid membership. I have sent emails to Experian, with no response, and if not for the help of blogs, I wouldn't know how to deal with this issue.

Since we can't dispute the credit card charges, and recurring charges will continue to post, I was left with no option other than to use a prepaid credit card number (I don't think it has a balance) on my billing profile online. When they attempt to charge it, it should HAPPILY reject. We've all been taken advantage of here, to the tune of $24.99/month for many of us. I'm looking forward to the class action settlement where I am able to recover 1/100 of the money lost to Experian. Shame on them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I never registered anywhere and for months they have been charging me $19.99. Every month I have to go to my credit card and dispute. When I call Experian, their system announces that I have no membership but every month the charges appear. I am frustrated with waste of my time. I am sure they are fraud.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Experian membership is a rip off scam! They charge you a $1.09 for a 7 day trial membership and $23.95 (monthly) after that 7 day period. I only wanted to view my credit report, not monitor it. I cancelled before the 7 day trial was over, but they claim I did not cancel. I am on disability. Every dollar matters to me. I can NOT afford $23 a month for a membership I will most definitely not use. I am infuriated because I was not financially prepared for this charge, and with the weather change & utility bills going up, I cannot afford this kind of waste of money.

DO NOT GET DUPED BY THE 7 DAY TRIAL MEMBERSHIP SCAM, BECAUSE IF YOU CANCEL THEY WILL CLAIM YOU DIDN'T CANCEL!!! I had to cancel a second time (once I saw the charge on my statement) & call customer service to finally assure it was cancelled. I'm out $23.95. It may not seem like much to most but to me (a disabled person on a limited income) it is. Especially with the holidays coming & the cost of utilities going up. Ridiculous!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have 6 years of monthly charges from Experian credit tracker on my credit card. From what I've researched I assume it’s from not cancelling after a free trial period from back in 2012. I do not recall ever getting a credit check or signing up with Experian for anything at all. After 6 years of continuous monthly charges, I cannot get a hold of anyone at the company to cancel and get these charges to stop. I have tried numerous times to get a representative at the Experian number but can never get someone to talk to personally. When I key my social security number and birth date into their phone system it states that the system cannot find me and that I do not have a subscription with them, although they've been charging me a monthly fee for 6 years now.

I've emailed their support email address twice and never get a response. The fee started years ago at $19.95 and now it’s at $24.99 a month. This company has gotten so much money from me. I am frustrated because I cannot get anyone on the phone or get a response back from their support dept. through email and I need these charges to stop. I would like to cancel whatever subscription they claim I have with them but have had no success at doing so. So I am still paying them monthly charges in the meantime.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

"Free credit report" actually costs 23.90 per month. I signed up for the $1.00 FICO score upgrade on my "free credit report" because I need it for a lease. Seven days later they charged me $23.90. I canceled immediately but they would not refund me the money. This is a rip off based on deceiving advertisement of a FREE CREDIT REPORT.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have paid $24.99 monthly for several years of Experian credit monitoring. They recently stopped supporting the phone app. Consequently, I tried to cancel. It's impossible to do so, and from reading the other reviews it appears intentionally impossible. The website says I can only cancel by calling, but when I call I cannot get to a human through any possible combination of selections, and when I use the automated route to try to cancel I am informed that I "do not have an account." I am calling my bank to place a stop payment next. This is ridiculous and fraudulent. Oh... and their webpage is still advertising the app that is no longer supported!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My experience is similar to that of some of the other reviewers here. I am attempting to cancel a credit tracker subscription, and they are making it impossible. No option to cancel online (of course). I called the 866.617.1894 number provided, navigated the maze of voice prompts, divulged way too much personal information and was informed that "I am not currently subscribed" when presented the option to cancel. Well that's funny, because it clearly shows that I am subscribed when I go the billing information tab on my account online. No option to speak to anyone - it just tells me where I can sign up (gee thanks) and terminates the call. After attempting several times to get a human on the line, I called my bank and had them place a hold on the most recent charge and e-mailed support@experiandirect.com. If I can sign up online, why can't I cancel online? Why make it so difficult? Crooks! Don't sign up for this garbage!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My scores at TransUnion and Equifax are almost the same but at Experian its almost 80 points lower. The third company I believe should also have a headquarter in America. Are you trying to keep us down? Our land not Ireland!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Worst company, I've tried 20 times today to get through to cancel my membership - using various numbers I’ve found online, and I get the same auto-menu. I choose to cancel my membership, and the robot tells me I’m not currently enrolled. I emailed them at support@experiandirect.com and calling my bank to block them from my account.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was advised to obtain a credit report from Experian for purposes of purchasing a property. The advertised cost is one dollar for the credit report. Apparently, without your consent (or in very fine print) they automatically sign you up for a $23 a month recurring payment. I had to put a stop order in with my bank and then call Experian to cancel the membership and confirm that the stop payment would not damage my credit score. Had I not checked my bank statement closely I could have easily missed this payment for years to come. Pretty sure getting people to inadvertently getting into a recurring monthly payment and bleeding people who don't closely monitor their bank statements for years is the core business model of Experian.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I put my credit on a freeze a few months ago because my information was leaked online. I needed to get it off of a freeze to get electric in my name, but they asked me to mail them a bunch of documents in order to unfreeze my credit. Of course, like everyone else on here I couldn't reach a live person to try and get this straightened out faster. Now, I have been charged high fees from my apartment complex for not having the electricity in my name. Thanks for the help Experian.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

One of the 3 major credit monitors? And they can't put actual people on the phone? I've tried 10 times today to get through - using various "customer service" numbers I’ve found online, and I get the same auto-menu. I get to the point where I choose "cancel my account", and the robot tells me I’m not currently enrolled. (Yet, I have a customer ID# and they're deducting monthly subscription fees ($14.95/month - I hear others pay more!). The iOS app on my phone wasn't launching, so I deleted it so I could re-install it on my iPhone. The app has disappeared from the Apple Store. I honestly don't know what to do now.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

First, the amount of money they charge is crazy but I digress. I experienced fraud on my debit card and had to cancel the card and get a new one. When I tried updating my payment information on the Experian site (to maintain my account) there was a repeated technical issue on their end. I then called to try and work through the problem.

After being in an almost never ending loop and unable to get a person on the line I finally broke through but the call center was overseas. Could barely understand the agent and I was asked repeatedly for my social security number (which is crazy) and no one could help with the problem. It's no wonder they experienced a serious security breach a few years ago. I'm shocked that this organization is actually responsible for people's credit ratings. They are a joke. After almost 2 hours of wasted time I simply asked for my account to be canceled. How on earth are people supposed to safely and effectively monitor their credit in this day and age when this is what we are faced with. Ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We have had Experian credit monitoring for 2 years, after a free period offered by the Target hack. We signed up at their 79.95 coverage. Last week we received an email "announcing" that we were being upgraded. This was not presented as an optional offer. The email said that once the upgrade was complete we would be sent additional information. And they announced that our next billing would be at 99.95. (I just paid 79.95 in August.) I sent an email to their customer service dept and they responded that they couldn't do anything because they could not identify my account with my email address. Funny, it was the same address that they sent the announcement to. I responded with all of the information that they asked for and asked to have them call. Yes, I did also tell them that I did not appreciate their scamming techniques. No email reply and no return call.

I called their customer service dept. I finally was connected to a woman who said she would transfer me to the upgrade dept. She simply disconnected the call. I called back and spoke to another woman who was apologetic, gave me another number in case I was disconnected and then did successfully transfer me to a CSR who was willing to help. By this point, all I wanted to do was cancel. She wanted to know if I didn't maybe want to wait until more information came out about the new upgraded program, which she said still was not finalized, and that perhaps there would be other options that might interest me.

If a program is not finalized, why send out a notice of a more expensive, non-optional upgrade. Total scam. It is like having the wolf watching the hen house. We cancelled our accounts. I have never written a review, so I guess I must be upset. They are supposedly protecting us from scammers, but they are just as guilty. There are other monitoring options out there, choose one of them instead.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My Experian credit report contains more of another women's credit than my own. Her maiden name is my married name. Our social # only two digits apart. Didn't discover sooner because she pays her bills too. But when I went to take out a mortgage loan, her loans trumped my ability to qualify. I contacted her... she has contacted the company, but nothing has changed, even though her loan companies have been in touch with me. Only Experian... both of the other companies show me all clear. How could it be so far wrong, in the first place, and 2nd why can't you make a direct call to a real person and get this fixed. Most infuriating, I can't log on to file or view my report online because I can't verify the details of the loans that aren't mine!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Once you sign up/pay your $ for credit monitoring, all customer service calls are outsourced to Costa Rica, the Philippines, etc. Outsourced customer service staff is incompetent, poorly trained (or deliberate liars), couldn't care less about resolving the caller's issues, and don't have a great grasp of the English language. They speak fast with an accent and have a total inability to say the name of American cities which is a problem when the correct answer to a security question is the name of an American city.

Yesterday, I applied for a car loan but the application would not go through MULTIPLE TIMES because Experian wouldn't remove lock and security freeze on my data. I tried to do it online at their website and also phoned 3 times and spoke to customer svc incompetents. NOTHING WORKED!!! I spoke with Vivian in Costa Rica, Roxie in the Philippines, another guy in the Philippines, and Ace in the Philippines. All gave me incorrect misinformation. When I asked Roxie to connect me to a Supervisor she told me she couldn't get the call connection to go through. Finally, I called back and cancelled the svc. Stay away from these overpriced, incompetents.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My husband is being punished TWICE for the same exact student loan on his Experian credit report-one open, one closed-and Experian JUST. WON'T. REMOVE. IT! No matter what we do, or how many disputes we enter/proof we submit, they just won't remove off of his credit report. He just recently disputed it again, final results came in on Oct. 16th...2 days ago. Still there! It's a very clear mistake, even Credit Karma immediately recognized it and removed it for us, off of his report through them. I even told Experian this and yet there it is! Still remaining on his report through Experian! Spare yourself and don't waste your time. Use Credit Karma. Not to mention the fact that you get a free score through Credit Karma and you don't get one through Experian, at all, they make you pay for one.

I'll NEVER get behind a company that doesn't care and doesn't do the right thing and fix problems for people. It's been brought to their attention and addressed many of multiple times now... Someone could have fixed it by now. Anyone! Their dispute center is just AWFUL and USELESS! On the other hand, Credit Karma's is awesome and did remove it because it was the right thing to do. Credit Karma has a wonderful dispute team/center. They are actually trying to help people improve their credit score and remove errors that are HURTING PEOPLE... Experian doesn't care about helping you or your credit score, apparently...AT ALL!

I get SO mad every time I see that CLOSED loan on there. Not to mention the account is already how many years old now...5...almost 6. Like they couldn't just remove it for the sake of it being a disputed problem from us over and over again, for so long and that it's been on there hurting his score for long enough now?? Absolute trash dispute team! I will spread the word any way I can, everywhere I can!

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg