Experian

95%

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1796people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Experian:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I initially paid $1.00 for a credit report from Experian without realizing that in only 7 days they would turn around and charge me $21.95! That is exactly 21.95 times more than the initial charge for the report! Their customer service is horrible. There is absolutely no getting around them refunding you the money they took without authorization! I think this is due to their stock prices falling, and this is a scheme to rob people of their money. TransUnion did something similar, but they graciously refunded the money back while only charging me the initial $9.95. That is called honesty. They know it's a consumer trap, and they are willing to deal with those who actually call them out on it.

During my customer service call to Experian the woman I was talking to name "Casey" who said she was based in the Philippines tried to deceive me when I asked to talk to a supervisor. She waited 5 minutes and then came back to the phone acting as if she were the supervisor. I confronted her that I knew she was the same woman who I had previously talked to. To top it all off, immediately upon canceling my account my FICO score decreased by 23 points for NO reason. Here's the strange part - my FICO score had INCREASED by 9 points only 6 days prior! Someone needs to investigate this. I am attaching proof of everything.

Of course, like everyone else I paid the $1 to see my report and I don't remember seeing that they would charge my card $30 dollars! Didn't know I was signing up for a membership. I just wanted to get a print out of my score! Experian is trash and such a scam it's ridiculous! The people are rude and I want my freakin money!

I've used Experian several times over the years to keep watch on my credit and this was my first bad experience with them. Unfortunately, it was made worse by an inept customer service group. After doing my bi-annual due diligence to check my credit scores and promptly cancelling the Experian temporary service to do so, I was fraudulently billed a monthly fee by Experian (despite terms and conditions that said otherwise). I disputed the amount and they have refused to refund my money - despite written confirmation of cancellation.

When I first contacted Experian, they could not find an account. It took several emails for them to find it and after twice confirming cancellation in time to avoid the $21.95 fee, they advised I still owed them. Now, I get to work with my credit card company to dispute. It's a small amount, but it's still wrong. Note: I did not receive a receipt or notification of charge before my credit card was charged for the $1 temporary fee or the $21.95 fee.

Like several other posters here, I tried to check my credit report and my husbands for like $1. When you click on that, they start charging you $19.95 a month indefinitely. I agree that it is my failure to cancel in a timely manner. When I got the charge one month, fine and then the second month, I was like ok, I ordered it for my husband. I was super busy but finally checked the charges in detail today and called to cancel my membership. It doesn't appear that the first agent cancelled it. The membership starts on the 15th and today is the 16th and they won't even refund that. I am very angry. I asked what I was getting for this money and they couldn't even explain it. I went to the account and there was nothing there but the credit score that I thought was $1 or cheap. Even a one time 19.95 would be fine.

I am now calling my credit card company to not pay the extra charge. Beware. They have no middle ground like splitting the difference or even cancelling the last month 1 day late. They keep repeating like a robot "sorry, it is not refundable and you failed to cancel." What did I get for this money? Nada. Please beware and use another service like Equifax instead.

I so regret not reading the customer reviews before using Experian to check my credit report. I learnt it the hard way. Heights of false advertising. They lure you by saying that they charge only a dollar for the credit report which is NOT true. Don't fall for it. I realized the mistake I made after checking my credit card bill. My card was charged $21.95 every month for an idiotic credit report that I NEVER requested for. Apparently, I have signed up for this senseless monthly credit report thingy which by the way I never received.

Let's just assume that I signed up for their ** membership, shouldn't I be receiving any welcome email or saying that my credit report is ready or something... FYI, there was NOT even a single email from them. It's apparent that they are here only to CHEAT people. There is no use calling the customer service... they're rude. They don't have any info and more importantly, they will not refund your money. I suggest everyone NOT to use Experian. There are better ways to find your credit score like Credit Karma, Equifax... etc.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

First off, Credit Reports should be completely FREE. It is your FICO score that is not FREE. I went online to found my credit report. Experian charged me $1 for a report and FICO score. However my report was blocked/put on hold. So I had to call the 3 bureau's agencies. Experian was to refund my $1 because it was unsuccessful and I could not view it. Later, I found out they started taking 21.95 out of my account for 6 months, it was not until it over drafted my account that I caught it. I called. They were complete butt holes, one person even laughed out loud. Poor effort to make people aware of what they are signing up for. Failure to actually give proof that I signed up for it. Only refunded $21.95 of $131.70. Still I have nothing to show for and not even sure what they accomplished for my behalf for the monthly membership. I disputed it with my bank. Now I plastering it all over the internet.

It is not right for a company that holds all your life's personal information to steal money from people's hard earned money. It's one thing to offer but taking while being sneaky, is not someone I want to trust with my personal information. EXPERIAN EXPERIAN EXPERIAN - Do not trust them, they take your money and offer nothing in return.

Signed off on the one-time charge to view my credit report, about $5 or something rather. Nowhere did it state I was registering for an account and would be charged a recurring monthly $19.99 fee. I only found out after reviewing my recent cc statement. None of the email notifications speak to the account terms either. You can't terminate online so I called their Customer Service Line. I had to repeat "I want to cancel my account today, you're not getting a dollar more of my money" multiple times while the CS rep rambled off the benefits and tried to introduce cheaper plans. At the end of the call, she emailed me a link for an account for the same services FOR FREE! What a total scam. This company and its employees are bottom feeders and should be ashamed.

As everyone else says, the "Free Credit Report" signs you up for a $20/month membership buried in the fine print, with no notice letting you know about spending money on a membership. Pathetic that a company claiming to work against identity theft and scams is out to steal our money.

I spoke to the Supervisor in charge "CLORA" almost like Clorox. She was AWFUL! They lured me into paying $21.95 plus tax, for a membership I never agreed to it. Now I understand why there are so many complaints against this company. Someone needs to take them out of business. I will also be filing a complaint to the Better Business Bureau @http://www.bbb.org. We don't need more thief in this country. We have enough!!

Every report here is correct - NO IDEA an account was being created, for my "FREE CREDIT REPORT" then NO WAY to cancel it through the web page that you do not have the information to log into because you did not actually sign up for a membership. I also paid $1.00 to Experian to see a FICO score. The site provided the score, as promised. The online site advertises a 7 day free trial. If one does not cancel during these 7 days, one automatically acquires a $21.95/month membership in Experian CreditWorks. I emailed to cancel my membership, which they confirmed, and then got billed again the next billing cycle. Overall a $100 mistake. The service they provide is at best a SCAM.

I went to Experian to get my credit report. I was asked to pay 4.95 for the report, I did that. It then asked if I wanted to print them, I agreed. Nowhere did they state that was going to cost me 39.95. Then, today I wake up to find they pulled another 19.95 from my account stating that I had begun an account when agreeing to view the report and therefore, had not cancelled it. They refused to refund the money they took, stating that it is in the fine print on their disclaimer! Wow, ok, so I agreed to 4.95 and somehow they end up with almost 70.00$. What a scummy way to steal money from hard-working people!! Also, I went back to the site to try and find these regulations, I have yet to locate them nor have I ever received any type of email, receipt or any confirmation that I gave them permission to pull any amount other than the 4.95 from my account.

The short version. If you cancel an Experian membership, make sure you get it in writing via e-mail. Some telephone agents say they have canceled memberships without canceling them. On June 23 (2016) I paid $1.00 to Experian to see a FICO score. The site provided the score, as promised. The online site advertises a 7 day free trial. If one does not cancel during these 7 days, one automatically acquires a $21.95/month membership in Experian Creditworks. On June 26, I called their number 866 617 1894, spoke with an employee, and cancelled my membership. Today July 2 Experian tried to debit my bank account for $21.95. I called 866 617 1894 again and spoke to an employee who stated that there was no record of my canceled membership. This individual sent me an email confirming cancelation--but refused to remove the $21.95 debit. On to a dispute claim with my bank.

I got an email stating that Experian was going to upgrade my account and offer cool new features. About 3/4 of the way through, it stated that they were going to charge me $24.95 a month and it would be so worth it. I was currently paying $5 for account monitoring. I called and canceled and they did not even apologize. The email was in a spam folder and I almost missed it, which is probably what they hoped.

I was following links on their website to dispute 2 items that I found out were reporting incorrectly on my credit. Their site said I had to pay $7.95 to order a copy of the report so that I could dispute what was on it. That's all I thought I was doing!! Then a month later when I review my checking account I see they charged 7.95 and 21.95 for a reoccurring monthly membership. When I proceeded to cancel and ask for a refund, they say I authorized the 21.95 and had 7 days to cancel. I had NO CLUE that I ever authorized anything but the 7.95. I also have still not received the copy of my credit report so I can fix those items... $30 and an hour of wasted time writing emails and making phone calls for absolutely no service... DON'T USE THEIR SITE!!!

My experience with Experian has been very unfortunate. I am a recent bankruptcy consumer and I am desperately trying (as much as possible) to clear up any information I can on my credit report (the Bankruptcy Flag is already enough). Then my attorney suggested that I begin to rebuild my credit by securing two credit cards. Well I tried and was told by the vendor (credit card company) that they could not get any information on me from Experian (SO I SAW BLOOD!!!). Experian get your act together or find another business to defraud the people.

They are doing the same to me, charging me, when it was cancelled months later, without my permission. Then they send you these alerts that your credit card is up or down, and when you land on the page to "see" the difference you have to click that you sign up again. I don't go forward, don't sign it, and they still bill me. Someone bust them. This is against all credit card services terms of service. Class action suit anyone?

I, like many others that signed up for Experian's "Free Credit Report" was duped. If a company asks for your credit card number '"just so they can charge you $1," they, undoubtedly, are lying. Lesson learned! After Experian gets your credit card number, they charge $21+ per month until you call and cancel. When you tell them you want the charges put back on your account, they will tell you they can't. Calmly tell them you understand, and ask to speak with their superior. Keep insisting that your card be debited the money. After you speak with enough superiors, you'll find that magically, they can, in fact, give you your money back.

I was very dissatisfied with Experian. I signed up for their free credit check of $1 and was charged for a monthly subscription. When I called to ask for it to be cancelled they would not refund me for the service I never used or wanted. My fiancee did the same $1 credit check and was not charged for a monthly subscription. If that does not leave a bad enough feeling in your mouth, Jasper the supervisor who I spoke to was rude and condescending. Beyond that they could not locate my account using the credit card that I was charged on. They then asked for my social and they still could not find my information. They continued to ask for information and even confirmed I used them for my credit check. I had to unfortunately say yes, however I never wish I had.

They finally asked me to look through my emails to locate emails sent back in May so I could give them the information they should have had on file. This instantly made me question their security and credibility. At that point every other company I could imagine would apologize and refund me. No they did absolutely nothing for me. I am now regretting ever using them and I feel concern that my personal information is in their system. Please NEVER use this company. Their security and your safety could be at risk and they are not organized. I am sorry I ever gave them my information or used them. I will never use them again in the future.

The Experian.com website is intentionally deceitful in hiding the fact that their $1 one-time charge will automatically bill you $21+ per month, and their Customer Support will lie to you that they "can't" reverse the charge, until you ask for a supervisor. Only after politely talking to the supervisor, and telling him that you will charge back the transaction with your credit card company, then suddenly it's possible for them to refund the full amount.

I have had the Experian membership for about 2 years. Then finally, when both of my banks started offering free credit score report services, I decided to cancel it. I called the customer service in January (2016) and cancelled the account. To my great surprise, I found out I was still being charged membership fees in June! I called again and cancelled the membership again, and even got a confirmation email. But guess what- THEY ARE STILL TRYING TO CHARGE ME! I am now disputing the charge with my bank because this is nothing more than a FRAUD. DO NOT sign up for their membership, you will NOT be able to cancel it even if you want to!!

I signed up for my free credit report on May 23, 2016, and since the report does not include your score, I hesitantly signed up for my score for a dollar. As soon as I got my report and score I sent them an email to cancel my membership so I wouldn't be charged. I never received my confirmation that it was cancelled so the same day I called them to cancel my membership. I was told on the phone that my membership was cancelled. On May 31, they charged me the 21 and change for my membership. I called them June 1, 2016 to have them refund my membership and told them that I cancelled on May 23. I was told they have no record of me cancelling and the membership is not refundable.

Since I was not expecting the charge, it overdrew my account and I was charged a $36 bounce fee. My card provider told me that if they refund the charge that it would waive my bounce fee. But since Experian (or the supervisor I spoke with named Skylar badge number **) refuses to refund the fraudulent charge they charged me after I cancelled, now I am having to pay $47 and change for a membership that I cancelled.

Do not use Experian to check your credit unless you plan on paying for the membership. If you cancel, they will either say they never received the cancellation or basically call you a liar because they made a mistake. Apparently they need the money to continue their scam and keep ripping off people with no recourse since they are one of the credit monitoring companies, which with what they do, it seems like they want to damage people's credit. Pretty messed up from a company that claims to monitor credit, and they purposely hinder or damage people's credit. If I could give them negative stars for this review I would.

I went to Experian to get my "free" credit report only to see a $21.95 charge on my card. They told me I signed up for a credit monitoring service which I never saw and must have been buried in the fine print. This is like the fox in the hen house. Very dishonest from a company that is supposed to be a consumer watchdog.

If I could give a negative score, I would! You would think that a company that plays a HUGE part in our "Credit System/GAME" would not try and scam a single consumer. I never thought that I would have to check reviews left by other consumers on this type of company. Personally, I do not believe in using credit. Taking someone's money and then paying them extra money for giving you the money hurts us individually and as a society. I was taught that if you do not have the money to purchase an item, you go without. You save your money until you are able to pay for it. Not to give in to instant gratification. I was helping my 19 year old son understand this concept and went to show him "the credit game." I selected to pay the $1 for a trial.

The next day I noticed that Experian had charged my checking account $39.95. Wait, what about the $1 trial? NOPE THEY GET THEIR MONEY BY BEING DISHONEST and this is allowed. Don't try and get a refund. You will never succeed. After wasting 2 days and not being refunded, I am just chalking this up to a life lesson. I cancelled the "trial." Just imagine all of the reviewers below unknowingly giving this company their money. Add it up and you have just feed a very greedy company. Shame on Experian!

If my local bank teller threw feces in my face every time I walked in the door to make a deposit, then I would still give that bank a higher rating than Experian. Why? Because that act would be obvious hatred for me and I could love the teller anyway. Meanwhile, Experian lied to my face, then robbed me behind my back, didn't feel sorry about it, and doesn't want to make it right. I am not a novice. I am a GM with skills in financial management, accounting, and business law in a high-tech field. When I was offered a free credit report and score once per year, that sounded like a good deal. I never gave them my email. They started taking $25/month direct debit from our bank account and we did not catch it.

They claim the details were in a welcome email, even though they admit they never had my email and that I never gave them my email or signed up for a membership. Apparently, it was a 7-day trial that I had to cancel, which I could not cancel, since I did not have a online account to log in nor did I give them an email or phone number to notify my of the details. They then upgraded my "membership" to premium, not because I asked them to do so, but because I did not stop them from doing so, even though I had no clue my membership existed and they had no way to notify me. The CS rep argued back to me that I was the one who ordered them to monitor my credit and send me monthly emails about my score. That was after the rep admitted that they don't even have my email or phone number and that I have no online login account.

I've never felt the need to blast a company online publicly. This may be the only negative review that I ever write about a bank or lender. But, in the past 30 years of business and banking and contract negotiation, I have never felt more abused by anyone in the financial industry. Please do not accept any credit services from Experian.

I went on to annualcreditreport.com to get my free annual credit reports and while there decided to add a score for $5.95. Big mistake. I somehow ended up being charged $39.95 as well as $5.95. I emailed their customer service but they would not refund. They are running a scam on people trying to get their free credit reports. Do not add your score or enter credit card information when trying to get your credit reports.

I am usually not the type to go online and write reviews over bad experiences, but this was by FAR the worse customer service I have EVER gotten. I signed up to view my credit score for $1 just to find out two months later I had been charged $43 from Experian. The lady I spoke with said herself, "In fine print it states you have 7 days to end the trail or you're automatically signed up for a membership cost $21.50 a month". So you're not actually signing up for a $1 credit check but also a membership. They did not refund money and also hung up on me. Worse people ever.

Year after year Experian has refused to supply a free report despite that I have accurate information. One excuse after another.

Like other reviewers, I was quite shocked to see I had two charges on credit card for $21.95. One for my husband and one for me. This was after I checked our credit for what their website stated was $1. The Experian Representative stated I signed up for that and I did not see that. Experian is a BAD, BAD, AWFUL, MONEY GRUBBING company that keeps information on me I don't want them to have. And we both have excellent credit ratings with all three companies. Experian needs to be brought down a notch or two or three or four. I guess this is how they make their money - DUPING the common consumer. Slick slick. The government should do something about this duping - it's illegal!!! And apparently, I'm not the only one who has had this experience. Look at all these negative reviews!!!

Experian has had my credits frozen for nearly a year and a half AND provides no sensible means of removing it. There is no phone customer service, no one to speak with. They want you to mail copies of your social security card and driver's license to fix the issues (You don't even get a response when you do). They will not allow upload a document unless you're an IT expert in resizing images in a very quick time period or an IT scammer that already knows what to do. WE NEED TO HOLD OUR GOVERNMENT AND POLITICIANS ACCOUNTABLE for this nonsense.

Like everyone here they charged me a 1$ for my credit report, and two month later I was charged a 43.09$ for two month membership that I didn't request in the first place. They know exactly what they are doing and completely aware of it. Don't give any debit or credit card information to those People.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.
  • Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.
  • Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.
  • Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.
  • 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.
  • Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.
  • Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Compare Credit Report Sites