1.10/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

1300 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I also submitted my information to obtain my FICO credit score. $1.00 was charged to my account. Now I see recurring payments of $23.72 to my card. I never consented to this, however apparently there is a fine print clause unknowing consumers are missing. I attempted several times to call the number Experian provided to cancel this "subscription," only to remain on hold for hours. No estimated time given. I've now simply cancelled my card and ordered a new one. Hopefully they can't continue to charge me. Buyers beware! Use Credit Karma instead!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I also signed up for 1$. The trial was useless. Since there was no benefit I never signed up for membership. I still got billed. Calling Experian is 30 minutes hold time. After I speak to them I am also calling my bank.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I’m actually typing this while I’ve been on hold with Experian for exactly 1 hr and 2 mins with no human contact stating “we’re sorry for the delay the next available agent will be with you shortly”... I wanted to know where my dispute with Diversified Collections on behalf of AT&T. I canceled AT&T UVerse within a matter of a week and go back to our DirecTV (keeping in mind this was during the merging of the two companies). AT&T sent me a $700 plus bill for that 2 weeks and I said absolutely not! We were not happy with UVerse. And even though I sent AT&T all of their equipment back and took pictures on my phone of each piece, they’re still saying they never received it! Diversified had to be removed from my public records for several years before I even knew it and couldn’t even say who or what they were collecting for!?

What’s my main complaint is the reporting systems themselves and bottom feeders such as Diversified buying up debt. They can’t even tell the consumer who what when and they’re just slapping suits against we the little people who can’t fight for themselves and doesn’t even know what they’re collecting for! I’m working so hard to fix my credit and instead am getting worse and worse down go my credit points. Unfair! And now Equifax wants you to “pay them” to keep a better watch on our credit for a mere $19.99 a month and so is Experian!? That’s their job to monitor your credit and now want to get paid more for doing their job?! I’m sorry but I’m so confused.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I signed up for a $1.00 trail of credit monitoring from Experian for 7 days. If you cancel within the 7 days there are supposed to be no further charges. I signed up on 10/16/17 and cancelled 10/19/17. Experian charged my credit card $23.32 on 10/28/17. I have filed through my bank for credit as I do have my cancellation confirmation number. Either their customer service is horrible, their systems are really antiquated and don't work or they are completely dishonest. Mistakes can happen with any company I understand, however I don't believe that is the case with the number of complaints for the exact same problem I see here. We let these people monitor our credit? Scary!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Received an email from what I thought to be Experian. Offering me to check my credit rating to make sure of no fraudulent activity. Suggested I check my score which I did for $1. Did not realize the $1 fee signed me up for monthly credit monitoring. Said I had "7" days FREE trial membership. As soon as I realized I was signed up for monthly fees, I called the number of 855-962-6943 to cancel. Got a recording stating wait time would be 1 hour, 45 minutes. While I left that phone on hold, I called another number I found of 866-617-1894 (supposedly c/s) they would only tell me that I had to call the 1st number to cancel or go directly to their website of support@e.usa.experian.com (which was not legitimate). I immediately cancelled my credit card. There should be a law against companies pulling these scams.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

As we all know, Experian leaked personal info to who knows who... I have been trying to cancel for 3 months! First, "No one is working now, please call later!" Later, they send ad after ad trying to buy off people who are trying to cancel, after 8 minutes of Ads, I had to contact my Bank and put up a stop payment! So, this company makes it impossible to cancel, I am not 50$ poorer, because the make it impossible to cancel! Not impressed at all...

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I contacted Experian to do a freeze on my credit report. They used trickery to sign me up for an account I didn't even know I had. When I called them after being on hold for one and a half hours!! They did refund the 21.95 but ended up charging me 10.00 to keep the credit freeze. Greed!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

This is a horrible company. I needed a credit report. I signed up for the $1.00 trial period with Experian. I cancelled several days before the trial period ended. Then 4 days after I cancelled, they stole $21.95 from my account. I have spent 3 hours on the phone (so far today) trying to resolve this. I keep telling my story and getting transferred to different agents who keep telling me "not my department, I'll transfer your call".

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I recently examined the past 6 months of my credit card carefully after noticing an Experian charge of $24.99 that didn't look right. Then I found they had charged me that or $21.99 every month of the past 5. And in one month they charged me $21.99 AND $24.99. I finally got thru to them by phone and was told that I had paid $1 for a free credit report and by doing that had inadvertently signed up for indefinite $24.99 per month credit something. I spoke with a supervisor who promised me she canceled it and only gave me back the most recent month. I am going to ask my credit card company to challenge the other charges. Very sleazy company. Consumer beware!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Signed up for a 1$ credit report and like everyone else got scammed. Billing of 21.95 per month. Customer service was rude and offered me no refund. So went through my bank, stopped all charges in the future and left them a piece of my mind. Guess that cost me 21.95.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

This company has the worst customer service. If you sign up for credit monitoring don't expect to be able to cancel it. They make it easy to sign up online but if you want to cancel your account you have to call but they won't answer the phone. On hold twice for over an hour each and finally had to hang up each time because I couldn't wait anymore. Tried to do a stop payment on my bank account so they couldn't charge it but couldn't because Experian puts it through differently each month so it doesn't show the same charge. Sometime it is charged as a one time, some as a monthly so due to inconsistencies you can't put a stop payment. This is horrible business practice and slimy. I will NEVER use their services again. DON'T KEEP GIVING THIS COMPANY MORE MONEY!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Experian makes it so hard to do a credit freeze! Even Equifax is easy and they are the reason I want to freeze my credit... The other 2 companies have were easy to freeze online. Not only is it impossible to freeze on your website they tricked me into signing up for a month's membership to find the website is useless. In my opinion they are worse than Equifax because they actually tricked you into signing up for the monthly fee, then there is no way to cancel online and call wait times are over an hour - SCAM.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I understand "things" with technology happen. Was so excited that Experian was allowing us to find out if we were compromised from the information breach. Went to experian.com/scan. Got my email 24 hours later which said nothing. Except that if I want a true full scan of my info to see if it is out there in the web (I thought that was why I was on the site in the first place) somewhere that I could get 30-day free trial to see if there was an issue. This is where I get irritated. Why does Experian need my credit card info for a FREE trial? Why should I have to subject myself to remember in 30 days to call you and tell you I do not want you to take $19.99 out of my account? Is it not these frivolous charges that I am trying to avoid in the first place.

Personally, I believe the whole thing is a scam. Experian, drops the ball with our info. Seem like a great marketing scheme to get more revenue from us. Very disappointed that a company this large is not forced to step up to the plate and make right with the individuals whose information got compromised. Profiting on their mistakes is extremely unjust!! However, if intentional how long till the other 2 agencies jump on board with this nonsense?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Experian was not authorized to charge me anything except $1 one time for what it gave some lame excuse for in order to send or give me a copy of my "free" credit report. Then on Oct. 2 I see that I've been charged $21.95 and also that Experian made this a monthly charge! So my bank has canceled my credit card to ensure they cannot do it again and I have to take about two hours, so far, to fill out the charge dispute form and fax it back to my bank.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I simply called to find out why my score drop so much. The first operator didn't understand why. She connected me with somebody else who was totally belittling arrogant nasty & put me on hold. Recording said I'd have to wait an hour. Their customer service is by far the worst and caring has very little knowledge of their service as to explaining issues.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Your credit card gets charged regardless of whether you cancel or not is my experience. I send a letter to cancel, and called. I was on hold for 1 hour and 38 minutes before getting a representative who said she was canceling the membership. Two days later I have a charge on my card. Also, they provide no online way to lift a freeze long enough for a creditor to review your credit. And no one can wait that long on the phone to try to get them to lift it. I had to jump through so many hoops to get a credit check for a recent purchase. None of them helped by Experian. I encourage you to stay as far away from this organization as you can get.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Due to the breach at Equifax I wanted to freeze my credit report. However Experian is the ONLY one that doesn't accept an online submission. In fact they make you jump through hoops so they can take your money. This is absolutely ridiculous! First I tried online, During that process I provided all information that was requested. Apparently it wasn't enough. Then I was redirected to "upload" documents and that process did NOT ask for the same one that were ultimately required in a letter that was sent me. They are the ONLY one out of the three that makes it nearly impossible. The others allowed me to accomplish the freeze online without any stupidity. Why can't they get with the program and provide a BETTER method? I think that they want to allow people to have the credit compromised or it's means for force you into paying a ridiculous monthly fee for "protection".

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I signed up for trial. Said would be able to get a 3 bureau credit score/report. That's untrue. Was only able to get the Experian report. Their customer service is also horrible and have waited 3 hours trying to reach a representative at least 5 times. Do not do business with them. They will continue charging your credit card. I suggest just paying for your FICO score from each bureau and getting your 1 free credit report from them once a year. I will never order any of their services ever again.

I had the CreditWorks service which include 3 bureau credit monitoring, ability freeze Experian credit report, able to get FICO score and report from other 2 bureaus free once a year. Tried to get the 2 reports and scores from other 2 bureaus and their site wouldn't allow me. So I called Experian multiple times and they kept saying you need to contact the other bureaus as the problem is on their end. I did contact the other bureaus and they couldn't do anything about it. I called Experian 4 other times to tell them the other bureaus couldn't do anything about this problem and they kept saying contact them. I told them contacted them already. Like I said it’s a ring around the rosy contacting the other bureaus. I canceled my subscription and that’s why I will never do any credit bureau services as they all are the same.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I signed up for $1.00 credit freeze on September 8th. September 14th they charged my credit card an additional $23.49 which I did not sign up for. I am on hold 45 minutes so far and can't get through. They should stop this practice. Can't something be done? I see a lot of the same complaints here.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

The phone has not worked for hours (with no online notification) and my credit freeze application was turned down because my scanned file was too large. But, the company required that it be a TIFF - why not a jpeg? The whole experience has been incredibly frustrating, with no end in sight.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

If could give ZERO stars on this review I would have! Due to the Equifax breach it has been advised by many experts to freeze one's credit with the three major credit bureaus. It has been a couple days now and I can't submit the freeze online with Experian. I've tried several times and it keeps informing me that they were not able to process my request. I then tried to search for a contact number on the website so I can speak to an agent and after searching high and low no contact number.

I finally Googled them and called a number where the agent told me they didn't handle freezes. She proceeded to give me another contact number which I tried a couple of times. Both times more than an hour on hold only to lead me to frustration and hanging up. I can't believe this a major credit bureau?? Very unprofessional and it seems they don't want to be called upon. I am now very scared that I filled out their questionnaire online with all my personal information and wondering where that might be. The previous poor reviews that I read here about their lack of customer service and borderline scamming is not reassuring or comforting either!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I had to use a credit service and used Experian. They charged me 1$ which I agreed but after two months, I realized that they were monthly charging me for 24.99$ or 21.95$ without agreeing to join their premium service. I tried to contact them a Wednesday and Thursday morning at 8am (they are open 6-6) at two different numbers: ** and 866-751-1326 without success. They do not have any email or forum online. I had to raise a dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I just noticed a monthly charge from Experian for some sort of account I did not know I had. They informed me that when I purchased a credit report for $4.99 some 9 months ago, I was automatically signed up for a monthly membership, which increased to $19.95 going forward. I received no notification of this recurring charge over that time period, so I had no idea it was happening until I reviewed my credit card statements line-by-line in the wake of the Equifax breach. What's more, my account was upgraded to premium in August, increasing the charge to $24.99. I never once accessed this account during this time period, and I certainly did not upgrade to premium. However, the representative informed me the account was being accessed several times per month. As I am not accessing it, clearly there is fraudulent activity, to which Experian was not only completely unsympathetic, but shockingly unconcerned.

I understand there's a chance I was tricked into the original monthly charge, but I would have at least expected them to work with me on the premium upgrade in August (for which I was also double-charged). Instead, I received some dismissed boiler-plate language about terms of service and was told to speak to my financial institution. A horrible experience from start to finish. I would firmly recommend that no one ever buy anything from them. Period.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

With the breach at Equifax I decided to freeze my credit. Called Experian and the automated system charged me $10 to freeze which I understood, but did not give me a confirmation number or a PIN number for future unfreeze. They only stated they would mail me more information.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Went through the entire registration process, then learned Experian wants my CC number to charge me $10 for a credit block. Outrageous! I did not pay. They screw up and want me to pay for it? When my identity is fraudulently used, Experian will rue the day.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I know I'm not supposed to be complaining on this but I have been on hold for 2 hours. I am pissed off they are changing my acct for a membership. I only did the 1.00 for one time only but they keep charging me. I want this refunded because I made sure to notify them that this is a one time thing only. I want someone to call me ASAP **. I want this refunded and because this is y'all's fault. I also want my overdraft charges waived as well. I'm still on hold after 2 hours now. Please forward this to whoever handles complaints because I want this taken care of today ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

$4.95 charged and paid for credit score. $19.95 subsequently charged, presumably for a membership. I did not intentionally start a membership. There was no confirmation of membership, membership number, or billing receipt provided by Experian. I cannot contact this company because they do not answer the phone. Why is this company permitted to stay in business?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Getting a credit freeze from Experian is almost impossible. I started at their webpage and read about all the services they would like to sign me up for and all the reasons getting a credit freeze would cause problems in the future. I ended up at their online freeze request page. They made me jump through all kinds of hoops and give them lots of information. This isn't going to be online afterall.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I am currently on two different phones, after numerous attempts at trying to reach a customer service representative. There is no way to cancel subscription without speak to a rep. So I called, and am still holding, it has been an hour and 24 minutes on one phone and 20 minutes on another phone. Does anyone know how to cancel the $30 Dollar subscription ??? Help!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

As with others on this site, Experian is apparently scamming people by secretly posting a 24.95 fee on their credit cards for some ridiculous 'protection' service. As an educated finance person who works at a big bank, this is corporate greed at its very best. The marketing person Experian who came up with this scam is betting that folks forget to cancel this service to keep the fee charges coming. How disgusting is that psychology? There is no monthly confirmation of charges and no reminder to cancel... why would a thief tell you that? It's practically robotic. For others who have been scammed, please shout out your complaint. Maybe we can be heard if we collectively scream into Experian's CEO office in the sky.

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg