1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1522 Experian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

We froze our credit on all three credit reporting companies due to people trying to open accounts under our names. During the process I must have inadvertently signed up for something under Experian. I have tried repeatedly to cancel this charge and membership to no avail. I finally had to register a dispute through my credit card company. This is terrible service for a credit reporting company!!!

Original review: March 20, 2019

I signed up for the free trial last year and was satisfied with the service so I kept it for a little while and didn't mind paying the $19.99 monthly fee. But then l decided a few months later it wasn't worth keeping, so I cancelled. Later, when I decided to "refresh" my report, instead of charging my card $19.99 for 30 days, Experian signed me up for ANOTHER 7 day free trial, and at the end of that, charged my card $24.95 so I called to find out what was going on. I told them I did not sign up for the $24.95 tier, just the $19.99 one. The CSR couldn't speak English clearly and tried telling me they don't have a $19.99 tier. BS. They do! And not only did I not get the situation resolved, but they charged my card $24.95 TWICE!!! I'm so done with Experian. Never again.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 20, 2019

Sell data with a guarantee policy that is ultimately worthless as they don't pay out on it. Take months to process any data guarantee claim and fail to advise correctly from the offset. Basically they want to sell the data but not guarantee it. Been a 10 year business customer of theirs but the value of their data is nothing if it isn't accurate and guaranteed. HPI a far better provider, why use both if only one is actually prepared to guarantee?! Have hencewith closed account with Experian with immediate effect.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Congress requires the credit reporting bureaus to give everyone a free annual credit report through the site "annualcreditreport.com" (abbreviated ACR). The problem is that when you access your Experian report through ACR and click on the "dispute" link, you get 301 redirected to one of their stupid promotional pages. 301 redirects are permanent, so I can't just hit the back button and get back to the ACR report. My free report for 2019 is now gone for good, thanks to them.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I tried to temporarily lift my credit freeze online. The system doesn't recognize PIN. Sent me to security questions. Answered all with ease. Could not verify my identity! Ordered me to mail in a lift, which will take several days, delaying my plans for needed credit. Phone system also failed to provide service, despite my inputting all info correctly. Was ordered to mail in request... with NO explanation or reason. Cannot contact humans. Awful bureau. Avoid if possible!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had been using Experian for years through my mobile device. In late 2018, they migrated me to a new platform and ever since I have not been able to access my account. I have been on the phone with technical support numerous times with no resolution saying they would "elevate the issue and someone would be in touch with me". That has never happened. When I asked for a refund as this issue has been going for months, they told me "NO" and explained I should have canceled my membership when the issue first started happening. The supervisor in Costa Rica was THE RUDEST CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON I HAVE EVER INTERACTED WITH!!! I have now canceled this service after paying for 3 months with no access to their website. THE WORST!!!

Original review: March 7, 2019

Having changed address and email account, I found it nigh on impossible to cancel my account as I noticed there was a sudden jump in the fees I was paying; nearly three times as much! Eventually had to google complaints about the company to get a telephone number which, when dialled, doesn't make a sound for nearly 15 seconds before an automated voice comes on. It was only because I was distracted did I let it go on that long. As a company that is supposed to help people I find this tragically abhorrent. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Do not ever get this service which claims to protect your livelihood/credit. I was getting alerts for weeks about my credit report, then I attempted to log in to check the alerts to find that I could not log in. When I called, they were not able to help me. They have some call center in Costa Rica. Asked to speak with the manager who said that it was not a simple request to resolve a customer's log in issue. She also said she would pay for a service even if the company could not resolve a simple issue such as mine which was to log in. To say the least, thank God no one stole my identity. They never resolved me logging into my account and also said I would not get a refund. I had to dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I went on to buy ONE report for myself and my husband. I was in medical treatment, and when I got back to try to sort our bills, I found that they were charging me TWO MEMBERSHIPS MONTHLY and I did not use, did not want membership, etc. Tried to correct, but got completely stone-walled. When I spoke with someone, she said she could not address my problem and that there was NO ONE who could, no phone number, no one to talk to. I have never in my life heard of such horrendous customer service or stonewalling by a corporation.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Of the three main credit bureaus, Experian is by FAR the worst to deal with. Their website is terrible. If you want to place or remove a freeze they make it so hard compared to the other big two. Everything is aimed towards pushing you into their $20.00 per month membership. That membership, by the way is not even worth $20.00 per year. When I recently had to lift credit freezes to buy a house, I told the loan agency that I would lift the freeze at Equifax and at Trans Union, but not at Experian because I did not trust Experian to make it easy to do or to even do it when asked. The Loan officer laughed and told me that was fine because they never worry about Experian anyway. So I left the Experian freeze in place and the loan process sailed right through without a hitch.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

If you decide to use the free trial Experian offers to receive your credit report, be sure to use a credit card to do so - you will likely have to dispute unauthorized charges later on. I enrolled in a free trial in April of 2018, cancelled it in May of 2018, and again in June of 2018, and again in February of 2019. I've tried by online tools, email and phone. They even picked back up with a monthly charge to my credit card. Once caught, they have been VERY quick to refund unauthorized charges and it's obvious that they just want me to go away quietly. Their business practices are primed for a class action lawsuit. I can only imagine how many people have had the same experience and how much money they have made this way. I guess they are trying to recoup the costs of their existing data breach settlement. If you do need assistance fully cancelling your account there are online resources from other users that are a google search away.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This is what happens when three companies monopolize the credit industry, all with government backing. The phone system is designed to ensure you can never get a hold of anyone, and after you spend a half hour figuring out the number game to ring an actual person, you might as be talking to a DMV reject that doesn't care about helping you. Even worse, they refuse to provide any information as to their names or IDs so you cannot file a complaint or reference anyone you speak with.

This is insane, and malicious. All of this happened after the automated phone system put a lock on my credit and I was locked out of the website after failing to answer 1 question correctly (they brought up a phone number from years ago I couldn't identify). So, failing to answer 1 question locks you out for >90 days<. 3 months. The entire system is designed to push you away and prevent you from getting any type of support. It's disgusting and this company needs to be shut down.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

As many others have already mentioned, it's impossible to get someone on the phone to unfreeze credit. Requiring someone to mail something in is 100%** unacceptable. How a company like this is allowed to operate in this country is beyond ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

They have 7 numbers you can call but you won't talk to anyone live. Closest you'll get is someone who tells you which links to click that aren't even present on the website. The only number you can even HOPE to get a live person is (714) 830-7000. However, you'll just get as canned of a response as the pre-recorded crap that the answering service gives you.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

After being a member through Experiandirect.com for a number of years, I have recently found I am unable to access my account. I am a US citizen living abroad at this time and due to "recent security upgrades" access from "my country" is now blocked. Through Facebook messenger I have managed to get in contact with someone who has escalated my issue to their complaint department, but I have been told that basically, so sorry, you're out of luck. This is unacceptable for a company who is in business to "Help individuals take financial control and access financial services and prevent identity fraud and crime." An estimated 9 million US citizens live outside of the USA and our credit lives aren't important to Experian?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

We applied for a pre-approval home loan application through our bank and were told that my credit had been frozen. I needed to lift the freeze with all three credit reporting agencies. I was able to lift my credit freeze online with 2 of the 3 credit agencies without issue. However, not so with Experian. This proved to be a horrific experience. I tried several times entering my Social Security number, birthdate, full name and address, and other personal information to no avail. The online message I received stated my transaction couldn’t be completed with the (correct) information I provided.

After calling support (and re-entering my personal information via touchpad) before talking with someone, I was told that I was unable to lift my credit freeze unless I provided a 10-digit PIN code which I received when I signed up for the credit report/freeze several years ago. I spoke with support twice and told them I could not remember my PIN asking if there was a way to reset it. Support told me I would be able to get my original PIN sent to me via postal mail overnight for a $20 fee or wait 7 to 10 business days to receive my pin free of charge.

When I asked if I could cancel my membership, support told me that was not an option and that my account had now been blocked for 30 days. I told them I would not pay overnight mail shipping for something I could reset immediately online. When I asked to speak with the support person’s manager or supervisor I was told he/she was unavailable and would not hear from them for 2-3 hours.

By now my frustration led me to searching online for information about canceling my membership with Experian. I found a long distance number and easily canceled my free membership via automated service. Hopefully this also broke my credit freeze with them. I would never recommend this company for credit reporting based on my experience with them. There is no reason to go through what we experienced in order to lift a credit freeze I had placed, especially when 2 other reputable companies work so efficiently with their services. I wish I could give Experian negative stars for their service.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Signed up for monthly monitoring a few years ago; pay $24.99 month. Receive periodic text messages about my credit with a link to a website. Last Oct I clicked on link to try to log on; my ID or Password was not recognized. Tried multiple times to reset password; but it never worked. Sent an email explains my difficulty at logging in; no response. Yesterday I tried again. Still no luck; tried resetting password - no link ever sent to me. Tried calling a number of their phone numbers; impossible to get a live person no matter what option you try.

Called back to cancel membership; automated message stated I wasn’t a member. (Although funds being taken out each month). Contacted my credit card company; they are unable to stop these auto-debits until I can prove I’ve tried to cancel either via phone; online; or via certified letter. Would be interested to know how other people were able to cancel the monthly fee. I can’t believe a company like Experian is still in business. My next stop is filing a complaint with BBB.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I used a 1.00 trial subscription - canceled it right after using it once within 7 days. They acknowledge I canceled then I get charged on my Visa the 29.95 twice for the membership. I call and get someone in Costa Rica and they have all of my info in another country!!! They verified it was canceled but said I opened it back up a month later! No way!!!! I read this everywhere. They do it all the time. And to make our SS and full info available to other countries! They are a fraudulent company!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I signed up for a membership on Experian for a trial membership of $1.99 for what I thought was a month but turned out to be only 7 days. If I had realized the trial was only for 7 days I would not have signed up - my gut instinct that credit report companies can't be trust has been confirmed. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I got one report in March 2018 for which I paid $1, and then have been charged $27.08 every month. I have tried several times to cancel online but cannot because I have no written nor digital confirmation of any account number. When I call I cannot reach a living person and am asked about 5 questions confirming my identity and then when I choose the option to cancel my account, the automated voice told me I cannot because I do not have an account! Yet money is being deducted every month from my checking account! THIS IS FRAUD!!! My only option is to call my bank and stop payment on Experian.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I purchased a $1 credit report and then Experian charged my credit card for almost two years before I noticed and they feel good about hiding some small print that cost me 351.20. This type of business scam should be illegal. Warning Experian are crooks.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Experian charges me $24.99 for their credit monitoring service. Twice they have charged my account and absolutely refused to give me access to my account. Whenever I log in to my account, there is a message that states "Your card could not be billed". Because of this message, I am unable to navigate any further, thus restricting my access to my account. I have verified with my bank that my card was indeed charged in the amount of $24.99. I even verified with Experian that my card was successfully charged. However, for the 2nd time in 2 months, I am restricted from my account.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Same as others. Came for my free credit report, which cost $1, and ended up as a monthly $21.95 charge. Canceled as soon as I noticed. No refund. For a company that purports to be pro consumer protection, their business model is predicated on a lack of consumer awareness. Shameful.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Trying to get a hold of an actual person is near impossible. I was unable to figure out the magic combination, and based off other reviews, it doesn't help much when you finally do talk to someone. It seems their website and answering service is designed to avoid having their CUSTOMERS ever talk to the company. If you want to take a protective freeze off your account, GOOD LUCK! And good luck getting a loan even again while the freeze is on there. Hopefully canceling my membership works! Guessing it will not.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I called Experian to do a credit freeze. It's completely impossible to do so by phone or online. It's imperative that I get this credit freeze. You can not reach a person by calling. They expect you to mail in a ton of documents to even get a credit freeze. I'm completely disgusted with them. TransUnion is very easy and Equifax. What a pain...

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies through a couple of disputes. Experian has completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies have completed one. I am assuming the outcome will not always be what you want but the fact that they have completed my disputes way faster than what was expected (within a couple of days) makes me extremely happy. Hopefully the other reporting agencies will take note.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I signed up yesterday and all of a sudden I get over 10 spam emails a day to my inbox. I wish I would've never signed up. I haven't even applied yet. Now I have to deal with all these offers in my inbox or delete my account.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have signed up for Experian ID protection for a number of years. They messaged me last year 2018 to inform me the price was going up for 2019. I canceled my auto renewal and said I would decide when it was nearer to the renewal time. I have paid my membership till April this year. They sent me a statement early January that changes had been made to my credit.

I opened the login page which for 2019 is different than 2018, put in my password/user correctly only to be told incorrect user/password. It is now twice that I have had to wait over 90 minutes listening to their spin about how great they are before getting to speak to anyone that can help me. On both occasions I have been given a temp password to enter my account, would you believe both of those temp passwords produced the same incorrect user/password.

I have used their change password link and have done so, on using that same answer incorrect user/password. I have written now 3 times over the same period of weeks. No response. If this is their idea of credit security for paid-up members How do I go about receiving credit for the months that they are not allowing me to obtain what I have paid for. Will I renew?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Experian is a disreputable company that should be put out of business. They practice fraud and deceit in their business marketing and behaviors. Since they are one of only three credit reporting agencies that financial institutions depend on to access a person's creditworthiness, you would think Experian would hold themselves to high ethical protocols and be responsive to the people they gather information on.

I signed up for access to my credit information at 4.99 for 30 days and then 19.99 thereafter. Within that 30 days I was charged 53.10. When I called I was told that I could escalate the claim and received a claim number. They said it would take about a week. That was three weeks ago. I have tried repeatedly to contact them. Unfortunately you must give your social security number to the robot before getting into the system. It is obvious that since I filed a claim, the SS number gets checked and I am put into a rotating number choice and then hung up on. No live operator, no choices relative to my problem and even if I make a choice I am disconnected. This company should be put out of business.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I called in for a refund for a monthly charge in December 2018. When I was first charged, I wasn't aware that I was being charged. I called today January 24, 2019 again and the representative refunded the most current month but his supervisor refused to provide me with the initial charge. The day I saw that I was charged I called Experian several times and made several login attempts to no avail.

The issue was that my email and social security number combination didn't match, which was an absolute lie as I was receiving newsletters from Experian from the day of the initial "enrollment". I should of known better because this happened to me some years ago that I unknowingly signed up for a 7 day trial then was looped into a monthly subscription that I would of NEVER signed up for! On this call on Jan 25, 2019 I was placed on the phone with a supervisor who off bat told me, "No, No, No" when I am certain at her discretion that she could of refunded my money. She disconnected the phone on me and prior to that told me that if I called back that I would find someone else to talk to because she couldn't and wouldn't credit back my funds to me.

Without any regard she disconnected the call. Since she rudely disconnected the call on me I called back 15 times going through the automated system in circles the same way when I initially called in without the option of speaking to anyone. You are required to enter in your social security number and this is how they determine how not to service your call. I feel that the system is set up in this manner as to ensure a refund for the charges are not granted to the deceived "customer". This review isn't the last for me and it is only the beginning.

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg