Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.85/5

1637 Experian Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I tried to go onto the Experian site and set a freeze on my credit report. I could find no mention of how to do this (or even the word "freeze") but only a "lock" - for which they wanted to charge me money. They are required to offer freezing as a free service. I tried calling their "customer service" line, and the very first thing the message that you get states is "We cannot help you by phone." They don't even have a clue as to why you are calling - they just cannot help you. The long message then goes on to state that if you want them to do anything, you must send in a whole bunch of very sensitive data by mail with your request. They include your SSN, a recent bill, etc. I resorted to writing them a letter and snail-mailing it to them. I will never deal with them unless I have no choice (like to freeze my credit report). BE WARNED.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

So I trusted Experian and that was a Big Mistake. They have all my credit info. so when they LIED to me and said they "FOUND" 5 credit cards that if I applied to would help my credit score I foolishly believed them. The very first one I applied for at THEIR suggestion denied me and my credit score went down. I would have never applied had they not said they FOUND credit cards for me that would boost my rating. LIARS- Don't trust them.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I don't know if these people are just lazy and not investigating or what. I have disputed names, addresses, accounts that were not mine, closed accounts. I could not get any of these removed. I wasted months of proof and still nothing. 15 year old accounts that are popping up. I would call and they would file a dispute and still nothing. I am so upset. It's ruining my credit.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I had the same experience that Mark did! I gave my credit card to pay $1 for a Credit Report and my credit was fine. No need for monitoring it. But, without my knowledge, I was signed up for a $21.96 mo. credit monitoring program. I started getting notifications by email about my credit and clicked in to see if there were problems. No problems and finally I made a note to unsubscribe from the emails. Meanwhile my husband, who does the bills, was paying $21.96 a month thinking that I had signed up for something. Today he asked me about it and I was shocked!

I called Experian and cancelled membership. So I am out $132 for a membership in a program that I never needed or wanted. If this was a legitimate offer, the company would explain in detail and make sure callers knew what they were getting and how much the service would cost. Be very very careful when speaking with Experian representatives about what you are getting and what it will cost.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I called to add my employment record to my credit report - after searching the internet and several calls I reached the business line and spoke with a very nice man who gave me a customer service number so that I may speak with a real person for further assistance.1-800-493-1058 he told me to dial 2111 for the prompts. The person who picked up the phone was not helpful to say the least. She interrupted me several times and her answers were very short and she told me that she would add the employment but could she would not tell me anything else.

I asked her if this could affect the issue of my credit score continuing to decrease. Since I have no other bills and I pay all loans on time and have no other obligations they are not maxed out. The goal is to build credit. She said to me, "You need to get a loan adviser, I can't help you." - I told her when we moved 2 years ago my score decreased by 20 points for the move and asked her why - she told me she don't know. It just happens. I asked if I can dispute due to being Military. She told me she told me no.

I asked if I can prove I have enough income to support the purchases how can my credit continue to decrease - she said, "Well like I said, just go to a credit advisor." - She said, "I can't help you and we can't recommend any either." I then told her she was very rude and needed to learn some customer service skills and she hung up on me... NO questions answered... NO HELP ---- What are they there for??? I have the income to support my purchases. I only took out the loans to build credit. Now my score continues to decrease.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

They bait you in with a promise of a free credit report then charge your credit card with a nonrefundable $21.95 monthly charge, hoping you don't notice so they can keep changing you. Then they keep you on hold for hours to talk to a customer service rep. Just another typical scam!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Credit is honestly the biggest scam this country has. It's 100% non-optional just like it's 100% non-optional that this company and 2 others essentially stalk every single person, hoard their information, and then don't even keep it safe from hackers. The icing on the cake is the fact that this company allowed our personal information to be mishandled and then they offer cash or credit monitoring to make up for it, and then get all pissy that everyone wants to take the cash option. Free credit monitoring is an outright joke to me and probably others out there. And let me not forget the fact that the website tricks people into signing up for a membership even though you try your hardest to make sure you're on the free plan. Got charged a bunch of months for a service I didn't want because I thought I had selected the "free" plan. They did refund me but it shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

They may boost your score for 5 days but will take it back and more eventually. It's a scam to get you on their website to sell you credit cards!!! They truly messed me up in the middle of a Mortgage Application. Do not make the same mistake I did....Don't touch it!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

A lender wanted to access my credit reports. All were fine except Experian omitted to record three (!) changes of address, which I made on their website every time I had moved in the past four years. Needless to say, the lender was denied my report and now I have to wait for up to 30 days to get something simple done like a change of address! Experian's reps have to make sure that their website works correctly!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

For fraud protection, my financial advisor recommended that I place credit freezes with the four main credit tracking companies. It was a quick and easy process with Equifax, Transunion, and Innovis, but Experian places unnecessary hurdles in the process along with significant time delays to freeze and unfreeze. (Rather than doing it online they want us to mail in copies of ID, utility bills, social security numbers, etc -- which is an identity theft risk in itself.) Presumably this is to sell their "CreditLock" for $300/year which provides the ability to freeze and unfreeze in an efficient and timely manner. I am surprised it is legal for them to make it so difficult for consumers to protect themselves. And every path I travel in their phone menu lands in some automated response -- impossible to reach an actual person.

Experian expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.

• Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.

• Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.

• 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.

• Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.

• Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg