Experian

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I tested out Experian's free credit report (well $1 is not exactly free). I was then billed monthly for $24.50 until I just discovered this today on Nov 22. I'm out over $180. In discussing this with their customer service I was given every "no" answer including wanting a human being to file a complaint with. It's such a shady practice to opt people into something they have no idea they are getting. Worst thing is I do business with this company. I guess I will have to switch vendors in the future.

I went to Experian's website to order my free credit report. It prompted me to get my FICO score for an extra $1. I went ahead and did that and did not see their fine print about automatic membership enrollment with a $21.95 fee. As soon as I noticed I was being charged for that, I contacted Experian customer service and they refused to refund me. Super shady business practices to enroll people in this plan on the sly and refuse to refund them even though they haven't used ANY of the services.

Why is it that Experian is infamous for being the lowest credit bureau out of the other two? We need to make this an issue. We have to use every single social media outlet to blow this up. I am writing and visiting our local and DC congressmen to get the ball rolling. It's unfair that I have worked very hard to get my credit really good. But Experian is the lowest by a lot. They do not update my payment history at all. They are out to keep all of us hard working people down. They strike deals with Lenders to go with Experian so they get an incentive to mark us low. In return the lenders are able to "better negotiate" a higher interest rate with is potential clients and what do we say from there? It's legalized corruption.

I work so hard to stay on top of all that I do. And it's not fair that I am being penalized for a company's greedy behavior and politics. Just so they can profit. We have to stand up and fight this credit issues. There should be only one score and that's it. Experian continues to affect my progression in my life in regards to obtaining a good loan. It's aggravating and this will change. But whoever is reading this please stand up together and fight this corruption. Enough is enough.

I was charged 21.95$ though they mentioned free credit score check. Once you sign up you click on the membership terms and conditions as well. I cancelled my account knowing this on 8th day. They didn't refund the cash stating trial period is within 7 days. These people are so cunning. Never do business with these vultures. No emails come with the receipt of charges incurred. Only it reflects in the credit card.

Reviews need to be moderated better. It's obvious, at least to me, that the same two or three people are writing all of the one-star reviews. I've signed up for Experian twice, and I haven't had any problem canceling within the 7 day trial period and not getting billed again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

I called in to cancel my membership and spoke with a representative at Experian. I wrote the confirmation number down with a date the membership was to be discontinued. I did not follow up to ensure the membership was canceled, and that was my fault. However, I called in 4 months later after realizing they were still charging my credit card, and the rep said there was no record of the cancellation and would not accept my confirmation number. So I was overcharged $100. And the most ridiculous part is, she ask that I write the new confirmation number down! Now I have to monitor my credit card to be sure they do not continue to charge me. I will not be paying for a membership with Experian ever again. I encourage every to just use the free services out there. Equifax and Transunion scores are provided for free through Credit Karma and Credit Sesame. Experian is the only one who does not provide a free score.

I just realized that my subscription to Experian is subsidizing a company that, in effect, is the ONLY reason my credit rating has declined in the past year. Their "robot" is incapable of considering any factors outside the boundaries of their super rigid formula that tosses people like me with a very longstanding excellent credit history with folks who are reckless with credit. Here are the problems that seem to have had with me: INQUIRIES. I just bought a house and, as a wise consumer, I shopped for a mortgage. I considered six lenders. Every time one of them checked my credit, Experian lowered my credit rating by six points. So, I list 24 total points just by applying for mortgages. Their very broad description of "too many inquiries" actually discourages the very sound practice of seeking the best possible mortgage package.

At one point, one credit bureau showed a FICO score of 814 for me. Experian moved me down to 780 while I looked for a mortgage. So, instead of a 3.44 interest rate, which my eventual lender offered, I ended up paying 3.66 per cent, solely on the basis of Experian's report. They moved me from an excellent rating to very good and it's costing me money for 30 years!

RETAIL ACCOUNTS - According to Experian, I have too many. Here's what really happened. I asked my bank to change the type of VISA card they issued to me. The old one was carrying one of those interest free balance transfer balances for 18 months. So, I didn't close it. I left money in my investment account, which earned 12% last year. Simple math. I made money by doing this. I had the funds to pay it off but decided to continue to earn very attractive dividends by leaving it where they were. But the "robot" read this differently. Another credit card! An unpaid balance! Ding this guy! Then US Air merged with American Airlines. My previous card was converted to an American Express Advantage Master Card. Oh boy! Another inquiry! Ding this guy!

Then I moved a long distance to my new house. The mover would take a certified check or money order or charge to move to a credit card. Since we didn't know the final charges at pickup time, I used a credit card. Oh boy! He just used a greater percentage of his available credit! Ding this guy! During this process, I was awaiting two major financial settlements, both of which were in my favor. My plan was to pay off all of my credit card balances when the funds were received. Well, I received both in the past 10 days. So, I want to pay off what I owe (which is only 6% of my total available credit) and close a few accounts. But if I do, Experian will be waiting to ding me again for closing accounts and reducing available credit. Bear in mind. No late payments for more than 20 years! Practically no debt! Yet I continue to pay Experian a monthly fee to feed their robot, which in my view, is my only credit problem at the moment.

I have given up trying to talk to a human being there. Their dead-end phone system always manages to put my call through, referring me to their useless website. I am contacting my congressman this week. It's time that Experian be held accountable for the damage they are doing to responsible consumer such as myself. Ironically, I spend a portion of my career conducting financial literacy programs for 3 million school children. If they do what we taught them, they will be responsible consumers and victims of organizations such as Experian. This robot needs a brain and a set of ears!

I only used my card on their site to get my FICA SCORE FOR 1 DOLLAR. TWO DAY LATER I GET AN ALERT OF FRAUD FROM MY BANK. Someone had got my card number and attempted to purchase a gym membership in P.A. I don't know anyone, purchased anything, visited, lived in that state or area. I've almost only lived in California once I moved to Oregon. Now 2 different states have caused me to close my checking account cut up my card. So not only do they not protect your information, they report incorrect items on things like I cancelled a service and the company charged me 4 or more months. When it wasn't suppose to be under 200. It's almost 500. They share your information with companies that pull your credit. Do hard inquiries. I've got debt on my credit I don't know why they are there.

I used a company that charges $1 for a 7 day trial and then will charge you 29.95 unless you cancel. I literally canceled the same day. I paid the $1 so I wouldn't forget and get charged. The supposedly canceled but NOT SO MUCH because I was charged 29.95. I called to have it taken care and was reassured I'd have my refund in 5-7 business days. Time went by without a refund. Called again and said they would expedite the refund. Waited a few days and called again after finding out STILL NO REFUND. Today 10/10 after this has gone on for 4 weeks I called again and spoke with a rep who stated his system showed they refunded. They actually told me to call my bank. Really?!? The number is 1-866-232-7216. I am desperate to find out the company and want my $. Anyone that can help I'd truly appreciate it!

I applied for a loan in June 2016. As I have not checked my credit score in a while, I was curious to see what it would be. Without a question of trust, I used the Experian site. We are not supposed to be concerned that the 3 Credit Bureau have all of our personal information. They are supposed to be vaults for our complete financial data.

Experian advertised in big letter "One Time Report for $39.95!" I used a debit card by one of my banks to sign up for the "one time report." Next thing I know, I am receiving charges for $39.95 every month since. I called Experian who defensively replied that it was no mistake on their part and I "HAD to have signed up for a subscription." I am a senior on social security, so why on earth would I need to view my credit report every month, especially since Experian can see that I hadn't looked at it in years.

So, Experian reversed the charges and assured me that the subscription that I "had to have signed up for" would be closed. Then in August 2016 (one month after!!) I start getting recurring charges for the exact same $39.95 from "Scoresense," another credit report company, but on a completely different bank checking account. Now is it not ironic following that same month that I supposedly closed my account with Experian, I start getting charges from Scoresense. That's not the end of it. I also happen to get a letter from Comenity Bank that they received my application for a Wayfair Credit Card, but cannot proceed until I call them to verify some information. Again, the credit card request happens in August 2016, following the supposed closing my "Experian" account.

Paid $1.00 for my report and my wife. Then 2 days noticed a charge and tried to cancel, they charged $29.95 for each account. They said read the fine print. Then saw a late payment listed under TransUnion, they advise that Experian made a technical error. Experian refuses to remove.

Very disappointed with Experian. I received 3 charges of $21.9540 for an updated credit report which I NEVER intended to sign up for. They offered "Free Credit Reports" for a $1 which is a "gotcha" to do a continuous monthly charge to your bank account for $21.95 (without prior authorization), because "the consumer didn't read the fine print!" I called after realizing I had been debited and they said that they are not able to refund the payment because "you did not cancel the membership soon enough." They reversed the "membership", yet said they couldn't reimburse this charge because "it was VALID!"

I will NEVER do business with Experian again and will share this news with anybody who is considering using their service. Experian should be reported to the Better Business Bureau by every consumer experiencing this unfortunate situation. Their system is very sensitive & deceiving to the customer. Finally, don't bother speaking to a supervisor, they are only there to repeat the same scripted line over & over again!! VERY, VERY DISSATISFIED.

Saturday, I signed up for Experian's $1 credit-report-and-subscription (cancellable within 7 days), on behalf of my wife. I downloaded the information, which was useful to us, and wanted to close the subscription. It was not at all obvious how to do that from their website, though they had a 'Contact Us' link that I could not use then. Afterwards, I read the reviews on this site, and was pretty worried (though I didn't have a lot of sympathy with the reviewers who claimed ignorance about the $1 actually starting a subscription), but I decided to continue diligently.

I called Experian two days later, on Monday. After a 20 minute wait, I talked with "Brad." He said that he could not help me, because the account was to get credit information on my wife and I was not her, even though I told him I had Power of Attorney on her behalf. He asked if I had any other questions. I asked something like, "Why are you illegally refusing to honor my Power of Attorney?" He politely replied that it was company policy.

I insisted on speaking to his supervisor (Thanks, ConsumerAffairs, for the review that clued me into the efficacy of this approach!). After about a 5 minute wait, I talked with "Morgan." She was MUCH more helpful. She had me give her detailed information about the credit card I used for the $1 charge, and my name, and said my subscription was terminated. And I immediately got an e-mail confirmation of the cancellation (to my wife's e-mail account).

That was a pretty good result for me. I have been on the phone for two hours with other companies before getting results. The only complaint I have is that if I had not known to insist to talk with Brad's supervisor, I would have had to resort to Plan B: reporting my card as stolen (Fortunately, that would have been easy. The card was from USAA, and they have my Power of Attorney on file under her account.). Lessons: 1. Read the fine print (especially when you are giving out your credit card information). 2. Cancel within the 7 days. 3. If you can't get cooperation, talk to a supervisor.

Ordered by Annual Reports - Equifax and Transunion came up and downloaded PDF - EXPERIAN never loaded - and NO WAY TO GET A HUMAN to get the report and now when I re-enter Annual Credit Report it says I already got my "FREE" so wants me to PAY for a copy. Never got a report number or anything.

I wanted a $1.00 report on august 22, 2016. After that I noticed that they charged me two months for $21.95 cents, and when asked for a refund, the girl Casey, ID # ** said they have an agreement we sign that if the seven days notification is not followed to cancel the charges, they cannot refund the amount. I told her that "first of all, we trust you for our credit history, we give our sensitive information to your company, and you are stealing our money". When we did not authorize to take from our account, why ask for $1.00 dollar and then charge us continuously and upon request you do not want to return our money? Even the bank gives back within 90 days, and as of yesterday you have charged me and she gave me only one month back and refused the other month. I mentioned I am going to write to Consumer affairs. Help Me Howard, and all the help I can get.

First just wanna say after reading these reviews I just experienced the same thing. I should of read these reviews first. It is after business hours to contact this company but how do you take 21.95 off my card and it's after business hours. I get an alert on my phone at 9:45 pm and office is close at 6:00 pm that a transaction was made from Experian. So I go on to the site and can't even cancel the membership. It won't let you and won't even let you edit your information even where it says edit. I did the $1.00 thing in the beginning of the month and never authorized for no 21.95 to be taken off my card. I am literally pissed off right now and I will be calling this company first thing in the morning. As I read in these reviews I'm sure I'm not the last one that's going to have this issue. This is fraud in false advertising and fraud to cardholders as well. What a scam for sure.

I am on the Board of Directors of a company that closed in Dec. 2015. My responsibility was helping with the final closing financials and shareholder distributions. The business used Experian's services concerning individual's credit ratings. In May 2016 I noticed Experian debited our bank account in the amount of $312. When I called Experian on the 2nd of June I was told that they would complete a refund for that amount and the funds should be back into the account within 2-5 business days. Today's date is Sept. 28 and the funds have yet to make it into our account. I called my first contact (Adrian **) around June 14 and was given a number for accounts receivable. The number went to voicemail and was told that they will return the call within 24 hrs. When they didn't call back I tried about 15 times on different days after that leaving the same message but my call was never returned.

I finally got a live person (Cepilia **) on August 15 and she had me email her the request with our account #, invoice #, and credit memo #. I was told that the funds could take up to 45 days to be returned. 45 DAYS!! IT'S OUR MONEY!! Now here it is 45 days later and no money. Experian ads say their responsibility is "doing business the right way". If this is the right way to do business then I have been doing it wrong all my life. If I owed someone this long you can bet Experian would be downgrading my credit rating. It looks like I will be calling our attorney in the morning.

We're extremely upset with Experian. We paid almost $40 for an updated credit report & THE SAME DAY, they offered "Free Credit Reports" for a $1 which is a "gotcha" to do a continues monthly charge to your bank account for $21.95 (without prior authorization,) because "the consumer didn't read the fine print!" We called after realizing we had been debited and they told us that they are not able to refund the payment because "we did not cancel the membership soon enough." WHAT MEMBERSHIP??? They reversed the "membership," yet said they couldn't reimburse this charge because "it was "VALID!"

Experian will never get our business again and we'll be sure to share this news with anybody who is considering using their service. Experian should be reported to the Better Business Bureau by every consumer experiencing this unfortunate situation. Their system is very sensitive & deceiving to the customer. Finally, don't bother speaking to a supervisor, they are only there to repeat the same scripted line over & over again!! Grace was the "Supervisor". VERY VERY DISSATISFIED.

I have been with Experian since 2008 with their credit Monitoring service. I had two separate accounts. One for myself and one for my wife. Recently, I noticed several Experian charges on my credit card that I was not familiar with. It seems that Experian raised their monthly fee from $4.99 to $24.99 without any notification. A very deceptive practice. Watch your accounts closely for fee increase. I have cancelled all business with Experian.

I got caught up in the $1 scam too. First they denied that they were charging me, but then they "checked with another department" and discovered that they are. I spoke to supervisor Lyka (# **) who assured me I would get a refund in 3-5 business days. I called twice after that and was told there is a technical malfunction that is delaying the refund. Almost a month later, to avoid getting charged again, I called my bank, placed a stop payment on all Experian charges, and made a claim for the $21.95, which the bank refunded. It is scary to think that this kind of scammy corporation has access to all of our financial information.

Experian is now top of my list of BAD CONSUMER companies. I am a victim of identity theft and was doing what I have been advised to do: freeze my credit and then order a report every 6 months. I have done this twice now with the other companies with no problem but in June I ordered my report from Experian, apparently paying $1 to get it, and inadvertently was "sold" a $21.95/mo subscription to something I never used, asked for, or authorized. I am pretty good about not getting burned in this way, but Experian apparently is either too tricky or as a consumer, I was too trusting. Of all the companies to resort to this online trickery! These credit score companies act almost like quasi-government agencies. They should not be allowed to prey upon already victimized consumers. What a shameful practice. Experian should be embarrassed.

I also agreed to pay the $1 trial fee but immediately cancelled the trial. They did not cancel my account. Instead they charged my account without consent, stole $21.95 and proceeded to tell me they will not refund the money. I have filed a dispute with my bank and it's pending currently. Do not sign up for this. They will charge you either way and will not refund the money without significant effort. I will update my review once I receive the results of the dispute. Experian is a scam. They only wish to steal your money.

I'm very upset with Experian. You can't advertise that you offer "Free Credit Reports" and then charge people $21.95 monthly because they didn't read the fine print. I called after I realized I had been debited and they told me that they are not able to refund my payments because I "did not cancel my membership soon enough." ** joke. Experian will never get my business again and I will be sure to share this news with anybody who is considering using your service. Have a horrible day and I hope you enjoy that money.

Like everyone else here, I fell for the "free report" lie that Experian turns into a monthly fee for providing absolutely no further service of any value whatsoever. Unfortunately I didn't catch it for a couple months, and then when I did I immediate contacted them through their site which resulted in an email exchange where their representative asked for more information and then failed to respond when I sent it to them. Finally after multiple tries the email address started bouncing and I found a phone number to call. After being on hold for quite some time someone finally took my information and closed my account. Unfortunately, they managed to hit my account 4 times with the 21.95 charge before that point.

I've dealt with services that try to pull this kind of scam before, but this one was especially devious in concealing that it was a service at all by misrepresenting it as a "free report" when in fact this is more like trial. Obviously the reason they lied about this upfront is because no one in their right mind would sign up for a "trial" when all they want is a one time report. I never was informed that there was an ongoing service involved and the first time I saw the "price" for this "service" was when the charge had already hit my account more than once. This is extremely shady and definitely borders on being criminal activity.

Don't use this service. They charge you more than what is stated. I was charged $40 the first week and then charged another 21.95 the very next week. They do not make it clear on the website about charges more than a dollar and it is not clear that you are signing up for a service. When you call to get your money refunded it doesn't seem anyone can refund any money.

I signed up for a 1 dollar for a free trial to see my credit report then all of sudden started seeing 40 payments taken out of my account that I was not aware of. Beware of this company. I wish I would of seen the reviews about this place.

Recently saw an ad that you could see your credit score for free from Experian by going to Experian.com/free, so I went and yep they let you in and you can see part of your record. But the score they keep hidden and say if you want to see the score you have to pay $4.95 per month... What!!! They should be slammed by a lawsuit for lying to the public. Without us they wouldn't even have a business. What a sad, pathetic company. Well we do need your score. I went to credit karma and they are truly free, not low life forms trying to lure you into their trap to get money out of you. Shame on you Experian. You are not a good company. I believe in Karma and you'll get your up comings.

I have just endured the worst 2 hours of my life. I have tried every contact info I can find to try to correct an error in your database regarding my birthdate. Macy's Dept Store denied me a credit card because they "cannot verify my birthdate" and they cite you as the reporting agency. Someone obviously made a data entry mistake. I would like to fix that. After multiple phone calls (to both the office in CA and several 800#s) and attempts to use many online features, I cannot get resolution. A nice fellow (David) at the 714 area code tried and was very nice while I was freaking out and yelling at him, but all he could do was transfer me (yet again) to another desk who never answered. The receptionist did this twice. I began to believe that this is how you deal with irate customers. Shame on you.

This is Experian's mistake, not mine, and your employees are either poorly trained or understaffed that customers must listen to that insipid music for 15-20 minutes – at a time. I should not have to attempt my call later, when I'll experience the same frustrating outcome. I fully plan to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau and my local newspaper, Twitter account, and Facebook to let everyone know that the all powerful Experian is worse than any of the politicians we have running for office. How in the world did we allow credit reporting agencies to tie up our lives because of a stupid entry error. Mine is just a dept store credit card, but it's the principle of the consumer being held hostage to a system that cares not whether its information is correct. Bah

I recently registered with Experian and created an account to check my credit report. I wanted to see if my credit had been compromised so I purchased what I thought was $1.00 opportunity to see additional information on my account. Today I was charged $21.95 for "CreditWorks," a service that I did not intend to purchase. As soon as I saw the charge I contacted Experian and complained about the charge and to cancel any future charges. Although they cancelled the subscription they refused to refund the $21.95 because the charge was in their words "valid."

I was given an email address to submit a request to the billing department for a refund which was answered with a quick denial. After my initial purchase of $1.00, I was never sent an email confirming my enrollment in any ongoing credit reporting with a monthly charge of $21.95. Also, I had to do a Google search in order to find a contact number to cancel the subscription as this information is no way illuminated on the Experian website. Experian plasters the word "free" all over its website yet it plays hide the ball when it comes to the specifics of this paid program.

The entire experience felt like a scam and an extreme case of "bait and switch." Although there are other companies offering free credit reports, I choose to use Experian because of the perceived trust that their name carries in the marketplace. Instead of being honest brokers they use their brand to take advantage of people who are using their product to resolve credit issues, not create new ones. Then, when they are confronted about their actions, they then hide behind technicalities in order to profit from as many unsuspecting customers as they can.

I was surprised to find out that I was billed this past month $24 for a service I hadn't heard of. When I looked into the merchant I vaguely recalled their name, and then remembered I had made an account with them for a credit report, supposed to cost just one dollar. I never received a bill from them in my email, physical mail, or any sort of notice. I had no idea they had "upgraded" my account in just 7 days to start charging me for a service I never used. They prey on unsuspecting consumers to trick them into taking their money without their knowledge. Stay away from this company if at all possible.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Experian is a leading global information services company providing data and analytical tools to clients worldwide. The firm helps businesses manage credit risk, prevent fraud and more. The company assists individuals against identity theft. The company offers an abundance of services for individuals and businesses. They have over 17,000 employees in 80 countries.

• Low cost: Experian charge customers $1 to receive an Experian report and a FICO credit score along with a seven-day trial period. If consumers don’t cancel within the seven day trial period, they will be billed the monthly fee of $21.95 for each month they remain in the program.
  • Experian Credit Tracker: This product features an Experian credit report, FICO ® score, credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution team.
  • Experian ProtectMyID: This product offers an Experian credit report, daily ID internet scanning, 3-bureau credit monitoring with alerts and a dedicated fraud resolution support team.
  • Experian Credit Report & FICO Score: This offering features an Experian credit report and FICO score.
  • 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO Scores: This product gives the consumer a credit report and FICO score from each of the three credit bureaus.
  • Additional services: If a consumer is denied credit, Experian can help him or her obtain a credit report. Experian also assists with online credit report disputes.
  • Business services: Experian offers a suite of services to assist both small and large firms with their credit and security concerns.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, those with debt and credit issues along with consumers considering a major financial purchase.

Compare Credit Report Sites