2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.6/5 (1169 ratings)

About Experian

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

Pros

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

Cons

• No in-person service

Bottom Line

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

Top Experian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be w...

Verified

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to ...

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
  • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
  • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
  • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
  • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
  • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
  • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
  • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
Is Experian really free?
Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
What credit score does Experian use?
Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
What is a good Experian credit score?
Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: July 3, 2021

I like that they send you your Experian score every day and credit card offers. I use it to lock my credit. My only complaint is that you pay a monthly fee and if you want to look at all 3 you have to pay 3 times the monthly rate to do that, and they don't say if you click you will be charged. I think they should offer it for free at least 4 times a year.

Original review: July 2, 2021

When I signed up for Experian to see what was on my report, my credit score was at a 515 and I had quite a few negative items. After paying off some things and disputing items my score went up significantly. I was able to get approved for the suggested credit cards and within 60 days my score went up over 150 points and all negative items were successfully removed. Experian gives weekly updates on my credit usage and tips to keep my utilization down so I won’t make the same terrible mistakes I made previously. I will be purchasing my first home by September. I recommend Experian over the other credit sites since they give the most accurate ratings.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2021

It's a great app. I personally increase my score by 40 point in my first 3 month. You can optional Link your Bank account for better result. By doing that I have increase my score by 19 point along with my cellphone Bill on time payment every month. Do not be afraid. It's simple and safe. They will automatic scan your Bank account every month to help you increase your score and the best thing is that you can unlink the Bank account anytime.

Original review: June 27, 2021

The free version allows you to view your score, your credit card accounts with payment history, basically the full credit report. It will also do a dark web search to see if your details come up in any questionable sites. It will also send emails when your score changes, even by a point. Overall, a great way to see how your credit score changes over time. Only minus is that if need to update any of your details online, the process takes time and it might not yield any results. Better to do it the old-fashioned way, by calling.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Having simple access to my credit report 24/7 has been invaluable over the past 3 years since I have had to move twice. I have been able to put myself to the top of the pile of applications by providing a printed copy of my Experian report directly to the landlord/manager, without them having to pay a fee or use their time to retrieve it themselves. The emails Experian sends out helps you to easily learn about what is important to your credit score and the stats provided help you keep a close eye on your credit. I convinced a few others to sign up for their free account. If anything negative gets posted to your credit report, you are notified and can nip the problem in the bud. I am grateful for my Experian online account.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Tried speaking with an agent regarding how I go about a name change so I can sign up for Experian Boost. Automated system keeps going in circles because it cannot understand the reason for the call and will not transfer me to an agent. I tried the online help and no information is available for my issue. REALLY the worst company to deal with. You can't get a human.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Experian recommended the credit card to build credit- so I accepted it; only to have it for at least 2 years, paying annual and monthly fees and high interest- and no positive reporting to my credit score. When I requested an increase in credit they want to charge 20% per $100. The card only had a limit of $500. A rip off company and Experian is in with the deception.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

After finding out I had someone get into my Amex account. It was suggested by the food folks at Credit Journey that I contact the three credit reporting bureaus. Experian was the first logical choice due to their affiliation with Credit Journey. I attempted to log in to my free account and was unable. Given that I never used it I thought it best to recover my password. To my great dismay it the partial recovery email address was not mine. This was September 21st. I reached out to their fraud department, who discovered the hacker had taken over the account oddly upgrading it to a paid account. I imagine more information for them to steal. I had a fraud alert put on my accounts and a credit freeze at Experian. I was told that I should call back in 72 hours in order to recover my account via asking me random questions pertaining to my credit history. The wait was apparently to have the questions generated (??).

I gave it after 72 hours and days thereafter and was told the same thing. Instead somehow treating me like the fraudster instead. Let’s put aside the fact that most of these reps English language skills is rudimentary. Their attitudes were from nonchalant to belligerent, as their supervisor Fernando was on Teo occasions. Couple this with the fact that it is now September 29th and the fraudster's phone number was still there, having supplanted mine. While his California address was added. These people couldn’t put two and two together that I’m calling about fraud after this all began on September 16th? That despite my not having a connection to California.

This breach has caused me great anguish, spending 10s of hours to restore my identity, while one of the primary credit reporting bureaus, having been duped, still have the fraudster's information. In the end I cancelled two accounts as a result. One of which I’ve had since 1980. Curious given that the fraudster is in his early 30s. It boggles my mind that a credit reporting agency has been an accomplice to a known criminal who lives on the other side of the country. A place that I’ve never lived. Thus enabling my bank and American Express to send him a debit card and 3 cards. Thankfully all were invalidated before they were received. I would had been much better off without Experian in the way to help turn my world upside down for the last two weeks. Their lack of security rivals their level of gross incompetence.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I I called in to find out why my credit score dropped 18 points and was repeatedly hung up on without any reason why it had dropped but nothing had changed. There was no reason for a drop at all. One person even told me they didn't know why it dropped 18.4. Shouldn't have are. "You told me to hold on", he never came back. After speaking with five reps they all couldn't explain why my score drop. I asked him to please look at the last 3 months and they can see there has been no change. Still did not answer my question. The worst part was being hung up on.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

I was just trying to submit a job application online and part of the process was to sign up for Experian and give them all your credit card details. There was nothing clear about it being optional or separate from the large company I was applying for. Now I have surprise charges on my card. I'm sure this arrangement with the company works out really great for experian. A good and honest business wouldn't have to deceive people to make revenue.

Experian Company Information