2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.6/5 (1171 ratings)

About Experian

Experian is a credit reporting bureau that helps consumers understand and improve their credit scores. Companies pull credit reports from Experian when they do background checks or make lending decisions. With Experian Boost, you can add your utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report, which boosts your credit score if you make on-time payments. For a monthly cost, Experian also monitors and protects your credit from identity theft and fraud.

Pros

• Business credit services available
  • Instant Boost program

Cons

• No in-person service

Bottom Line

Experian offers credit monitoring, identity theft protection and credit boosting services. Free and paid options are available.

Top Experian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am working with the 3 major credit reporting agencies ... Experian completed 2 separate disputes faster than both other agencies completed one … the outcome will not always be w...

Verified

I subscribe to Experian, Equifax and Transunion ... I have to say that I like Experian so much more than the other two in every way. Their website and features are much easier to ...

What is Experian?

Experian is one of the top three credit reporting bureaus. Its headquarters are in Ireland, but it currently operates in close to 40 countries. Experian shares its information with businesses so they can accurately assess customers’ creditworthiness and reliability. It also uses its credit history data to help people improve their finances and protect them against fraud or identity theft.

What does Experian do?

Experian is generally known for its credit reporting software, but it also offers services that help protect you from identity theft or raise your credit score. The company’s services and products include:

• Identity theft protection and monitoring: Experian’s identity theft protection membership, IdentityWorks, includes features like Social Security number monitoring, dark web surveillance and financial account activity tracking. Plans start at $9.99 a month, and Experian offers a free 30-day trial.
  • Credit score monitoring and reporting: Experian’s credit monitoring software, CreditWorks, tracks credit inquiries, account balance changes and new account creation. It also sends you a comprehensive credit report every month. The basic CreditWorks plan is free, but there’s also a paid version available for $24.99 a month that offers enhanced monitoring.
  • Resources to improve your credit score: Experian Boost can help you raise your credit score by adding utility, phone, cable and internet bills to your credit report. You can boost your score just by making on-time payments to these accounts. Experian Boost is a completely free service.
  • Business services: Experian has software programs designed specifically for small or large businesses that include tools to manage your business’s credit.

How much does Experian cost?

Experian offers multiple plans for each of its services. Some services, like Experian Boost, are completely free and don’t require credit card information.

Experian’s CreditWorks plans

• CreditWorks Basic: free, no credit card required
  • CreditWorks Premium: $24.99 a month

Experian’s IdentityWorks plans

• IdentityWorks Plus for one adult: $9.99 a month
  • IdentityWorks Premium for one adult: $19.99

Pricing for Experian IdentityWorks varies if you include spouses or children’s identities. If you want a one-time credit report from Experian, you have three options:

• Experian Credit Report: free
  • Experian Credit Report and FICO score: $19.99
  • Three-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores: $39.99

Experian FAQ

Is Experian Boost a good idea?
Experian Boost is a free service that helps raise your credit scores by incorporating your phone and cable bill payments. If you regularly pay these bills on time and want to raise your credit score, Experian Boost is a good idea.
Can Experian Boost hurt your credit?
Experian Boost shouldn’t directly hurt your credit score if you pay your bills on time. However, according to Experian’s website, some consumers’ credit scores have gone down when first starting the program due to the complexity of the FICO score algorithm.
Is Experian really free?
Some of Experian’s services are free, like credit reports and its basic CreditWorks plan.
What credit score does Experian use?
Experian uses your FICO score for all of its programs and software.
What is a good Experian credit score?
Experian considers a good credit score to be between 700 and 800. A score above 800 is excellent.

Is Experian safe?

Experian is a safe and globally recognized credit reporting agency that offers identity theft protection and business credit assistance. Its services are ideal for consumers who want to raise their credit score by developing healthy credit habits. If you’re interested in Experian’s services, visit its website to sign up.

Experian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Experian?

Original review: July 2, 2021

When I signed up for Experian to see what was on my report, my credit score was at a 515 and I had quite a few negative items. After paying off some things and disputing items my score went up significantly. I was able to get approved for the suggested credit cards and within 60 days my score went up over 150 points and all negative items were successfully removed. Experian gives weekly updates on my credit usage and tips to keep my utilization down so I won’t make the same terrible mistakes I made previously. I will be purchasing my first home by September. I recommend Experian over the other credit sites since they give the most accurate ratings.

Original review: July 1, 2021

It's a great app. I personally increase my score by 40 point in my first 3 month. You can optional Link your Bank account for better result. By doing that I have increase my score by 19 point along with my cellphone Bill on time payment every month. Do not be afraid. It's simple and safe. They will automatic scan your Bank account every month to help you increase your score and the best thing is that you can unlink the Bank account anytime.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2021

The free version allows you to view your score, your credit card accounts with payment history, basically the full credit report. It will also do a dark web search to see if your details come up in any questionable sites. It will also send emails when your score changes, even by a point. Overall, a great way to see how your credit score changes over time. Only minus is that if need to update any of your details online, the process takes time and it might not yield any results. Better to do it the old-fashioned way, by calling.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Having simple access to my credit report 24/7 has been invaluable over the past 3 years since I have had to move twice. I have been able to put myself to the top of the pile of applications by providing a printed copy of my Experian report directly to the landlord/manager, without them having to pay a fee or use their time to retrieve it themselves. The emails Experian sends out helps you to easily learn about what is important to your credit score and the stats provided help you keep a close eye on your credit. I convinced a few others to sign up for their free account. If anything negative gets posted to your credit report, you are notified and can nip the problem in the bud. I am grateful for my Experian online account.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

They monitor my credit cards and I saw a 248.00 charge from a gas station in Italy. It wasn't me. They took care of filing the fraud report after I told them it was fraud. They show me regularly ups and downs in my credit cards. What's missing is not showing changes in bank accounts. If I withdraw 5000.00 there is no mention of it. I have had my private info stolen from my work place, my utility bill, and a card scanned at Macy's by a deceptive young woman, which ended up spending money in NYC. Again not me. I would like to be notified when bank accounts are used.

Original review: July 28, 2021

PLEASE READ!!! I called Experian today (7/27/21) around 7:20pm to inquire about an account on my credit file that I thought was deleted several years ago. Conveniently, Experian disregarded my requests each year to receive my free annual report, which would have revealed the account a lot sooner (against FCRA policy and totally illegal). I spoke to Cynthia from the disputes department where I was treated like a common criminal for wanting to dispute an Item. Cynthia refused to give me accurate information about my credit file and argued that she was unwilling to dispute or challenge the information being reported because my name was spelled wrong for years and it was too complicated and confusing. Cynthia implied that the derogatory information in my file must be correct because I have an African name.

Cynthia immediately said that because I had my name misspelled in the past, I must be the owner of an account that does not reflect the correct spelling of my name, address or middle initial, as if anyone who stumbled across a lost ID couldn't use or open an account in someone's name. It is really sad that people like this approach their jobs with the same prejudiced, racist views that she would in her personal life, especially when her job places her in a position to ruin people's lives with their own personal biases. Ms. Cynthia behaved like a cold blooded racist, she was rude, condescending and judgmental, the entire conversation, which confirmed the reason why I and so many other ** people have the hardest fight to remove or rid themselves the negative, derogatory information found therein.

Experian credit bureau and its affiliates go out of their way to hinder minorities and their ability to repair their credit under the guidelines of the Fair Credit Reporting act. Almost leading me to believe that it is in their best interest to keep minorities paying the highest rates for everything due to (questionable) NEGATIVE marks and penalties in their Experian Credit file. They allow anyone to put whatever they want in minorities credit file and will fight the battle personally to keep it there, even when the "Creditor" lacks sufficient evidence that it should be there. Thank you Chad (Experian Representative) for confirming that she lied and omitted notes from my file. Experian has to do better.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I have twice attempted to resolve a "status of account" on my credit report. The account has been close since 2018. The other two credit bureaus show the account closed. I suspect that if I purchase their package to improve my credit score, the account would be reported closed.

Original review: July 21, 2021

After receiving a letter about a data breach, I followed the instructions in the long letter to freeze my credit "for free" to block persons from opening up credit in my name. I can now see there is a small (not bolded paragraph) stating "don't confuse credit freezes with credit blocks". CREDIT FREEZE: Blocks new creditors from opening a record while CREDIT BLOCK: Blocks new and old creditors from opening a record. Long story short is that I noticed two odd monthly charges of $24.99 from Experian, which I did not knowingly authorize. What a scam? I am at 24 Experian email notifications for July and today is the 21st. Who in their right mind wants that many ** emails. Really??? Very poor business model.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I check my credit report regularly through my bank. Despite having no errors on my credit report, the errors with Experian's identity verification system is inhibiting me from applying for rental properties. I spent 3 days on the website trying to figure out what the problem is and trying to submit documents to verify my identity. The website would not allow me to upload any documents even after assuring right file type and size.

I tried a dozen different phone numbers to reach a human being to figure out what the issue is over those 3 days without success. I finally found a number to the business line and it was the only way to reach a human being. Turns out they have been updating their systems and there's an error on my account that they couldn't fix until the following day (which to my knowledge I didn't even have when the problem arose). He gave me their direct line, which when I tried to call back STILL sends you to the same automated system that doesn't allow you to speak to a person. Now 4 days later this is still an issue that is not resolved. For a system as important as identity verification, I am astounded that there isn't better customer service.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I have paid off 11 credit cards and other accounts and they still show I owe on them. Very slow to update or boost accounts. I do not recommend Experian. Waste of time and money. Plus there is no way to contact them.

Experian Company Information