1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1048 Equifax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

On my Equifax report I have debt collector Pinnacle llc collecting for Verizon wireless in 2014. I have made 3 dispute claims with Equifax and Pinnacle and it still remains on my report. First attempt 2017, second July 2018, & Oct 2018. Each complaint gets returned correct debtor. That is not factual. I'm telling Equifax & Pinnacle. It's fraud and filed with the FTC for documentations. I spoke to Pinnacle () whom was uncooperative to my needs to have this remove violating my rights to obtain information they deem proves the account is mine. I want this report gone just like Transunion has done as well as Experian and with only one dispute filed.

Please give me support in mediating and exercising my Fair Credit Rights. 3 disputes and will not remove. It is ridiculous. Last checked with Equifax 10/29/18 pending investigation. 11/7/18 Amy from Pinnacle advised me that the determination of the debt was confirmed fraud and had notified Equifax. I made contact with Equifax and I'm getting mixed stories, some found the permission to remove the debt, others claim it's not submitted yet. I'm being told now that allegedly Experian had launched a dispute (Experian declines the accusation). I told them what I was told after confronting Experian by phone. Equifax does not comply with the law. I'm even victim of the data breach 2017. I can not believe the struggle I'm undergoing to prove that I'm not liable or responsible for this debt. Pinnacle says it's charged off 11/7/18 but Equifax refuses to confirm!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Had to freeze credit history after EQUIFAX was hacked. Unfreezing was supposed to be easy requiring some data and PIN number. It has been anything but. Took SEVEN tries to unfreeze account when applying for a new credit card, plus many different customer service reps and supervisors over three days. Even then they failed and had to be called, again, to freeze it. Starting from ground zero again it took three reps to report the unfreeze. Never took place.

Second Unfreeze was worse. The "process" to identify myself did NOT involve the simple PIN. On the spot and w/o notice, you need to know mortgage information, Exact balances on credit cards you perhaps paid down to zero a few weeks ago, Balances on cards you canceled a decade ago, etc. They ask the same questions multiple times though you've replied the 1st time. EX. It's not acceptable to say you have a ZERO balance on a card you canceled ten years ago. What? The reps are from far east countries and are difficult to understand. I finally called OTHER phone numbers I got on the web and found one that easily took the PIN as was initially agreed to along with light other info. They also kept insisting I lived in Apartment instead of a house... Avoid Equifax. Miserable, time-consuming experience. No wonder they were originally hacked!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

After filing multiple disputes regarding an account showing current and joint, that was discharged in a bankruptcy nine years ago, I now cannot view my results. Apparently their website is as difficult to access as the customer service reps they utilize. I can understand how this agency had the leaks it did when they contract out overseas to put delicate information right into the hands of who knows! Furthermore the impact the misinformation they display has on our day to day lives. I don’t understand how the government allows them to stay in control! Well I have contacted an attorney and appropriate remedies will be sought should they not correct my information. Then to top it off after sending my proof in to them for my disputed issue certified mail along with a copy of proving my identity, they still can’t get my personal information right. Totally inconceivable!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I told them they had incorrect information on the credit record they have on file for me and provided proof. They sent me a notice that they had completed my dispute and gave me a link to review their results. To see the results I had to give them my name, address, social security number, birthdate, and address. They followed this with five so-called identity confirmation questions. I then received a message saying the information I had provided them is different than what they have on file so, they would not allow me to see the results of my dispute with them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

This is the bureau that leaked hundreds of millions of citizens' private information. So when you try to use their online services they force login errors, "Sorry we couldn't verify who you are at this time," to discourage users and provide an excuse for withholding services. And yet somehow if you buy a membership they can expedite the process. Just pure bullcrap and corruption.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This company is unprofessional and incompetent. My first call was Monday 10-29-18, while trying to get a new truck loan. First I tried to unfreeze my credit report via online. No success. When I called I was told the whole system was doing an update (in the afternoon on a business day, WTH) and I would have to wait 30 minutes and call back. When I did, of course had to go thru the whole list of questions and crap. When done, they said they lifted the freeze and I even got a confirmation #. The dealership tried multiple times to check credit. I went back on Tuesday late afternoon. AGAIN, I had to get online, but this time it let me log on. Got the freeze lifted for 7 days. Waited two days and multiple checks by the finance and dealership. Still no lift.

Thursday: First I went online and again LIFTED FREEZE. Called them to complain and to verify. First I was told that the supervisor was unavailable and I could wait or get call back. Decided to try to talk to MEKHI who answered the phone. After going thru their questions, again!! He told me it showed that my freeze was lifted. I complained about the multiple problems and said they were at fault. When I asked for MEKHI's employee number, then Lo & Behold, the supervisor comes on the line. (Thought he was busy?) He insisted it was not their error but the error of the GM Credit company. Then when I wanted to do their survey, I was disconnected. I hope I never have to do that again. I am signing up for LIFELOCK and getting rid of these freezes.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I pretty much had the same exact experience that Renee of Dallas, 10/25/18, had. I was applying for a 'Chase Freedom Visa Signature Card and Chase sent me a letter telling me that I had to call Equifax to either or temporarily my freeze on Equifax sharing my credit information with anyone. I put the freeze in place originally because of the massive security breach had a few years ago and all the local and national news talking heads told us that was one way to protect myself. So, I contacted Equifax per the number on Chase's letter. First they requested the 10 digit PIN on the letter they said they had sent me when I did the originally online freeze of the distribution of my credit info. Who the heck reads or keeps all the stuff that every entity under the sun sends you nowadays!? I don't know where the heck that letter is!

I asked them what else I could do to unfreeze my credit report. Then they started into the questions, and like Renee in Texas, I had a hard time understanding them. They asked me for my full name, my SS number, my date of birth and my home address. They started asking all kinds of other so-called security questions "to verify my identity". I asked why they needed that information (old mortgage accounts, old credit cards, etc) and, of course, they repeated that same mantra "to verify my identity". I told them that I didn't have information at hand on some of that old and, frankly, forgotten information, I asked them what else I could do to convince them that I am who I am. They repeated that they had to ask these security questions to move on with the process of approving my unfreeze of my original freeze.

I was getting very angry at this point and emphasized that I had already verified my full name, my SS number, my DOB and my home address so why isn't that enough to verify my identity? They repeated again, that I needed to answer the security questions "to verify my identity." I told them to get me a manager, which they did. Along with barely understanding the person on the other end of the call, they repeated exactly what the first person had told. I got angry with them and asked this manager what else I could do "to verify my identity". This time the manager told me that I needed to make a copy of my SS card, a copy of my driver's license/ID AND a cover letter of what I was requesting and why I was requesting it. They said that I could fax those copies to them.

I said that I didn't have access to a fax so I asked if I could send them PDF copies via email attachment. They said they did not accept emails with attachments. They did offer that I could send them copies via snail mail to 'Equifax Security Freeze Department' at PO Box 105788, Atlanta, GA 30348, which DID NOT match the address in Chase's letter to me. How would I have know this different address if I hadn't gotten to this point in the conversation? I am not going to make copies of my SS card and my driver's license/ID card to anyone! After all, maybe this is an elaborate scam or phishing attempt to get that information and then be able to easily duplicate my identity??? I wasn't born yesterday!

I called Chase and they pretty much told me that I had to play Equifax's game if I wanted to be considered for their card. They did not volunteer the alternative that maybe they can go to another one of the Big 3' credit verification companies. I will call them back to make that request. I am also going to report this entire situation to the Attorney General of Minnesota, Lori Swanson. She is a superb "voice of the private citizen" activist and has filed suit against many large organizations and companies. Maybe that will get Equifax's attention. I urge all of you disgruntled Equifax customers to do the same in your state. Ms Swanson collaborates with in your fight against this madness!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have a fraudulent account on my report and Equifax will not remove it. The other 2 reporting agencies removed it immediately, but this unethical agency will not. They say you can add comments but so far after 3 years, I cannot get anyone at this agency to do what they are legally required by law to do. Why is it that these big companies do not have to follow any laws? They clearly state the consumer rights, but the problem is getting them to comply. They just ignore the disputes saying they did the 'research'. How in the world do they decide a fraudulent account is not? Luckily, most lenders know this company is incompetent and do not even use their report system.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I went through Annualcreditreport.com and received two of the three reports, no problem. Equifax, however, would not provide it online and is trying to strong arm me into paying them from simply wearing me down with frustration in hopes I'll just pay to get what I want. The instructions clearly state, "If you close your browser it will no longer be available online." Great, got it! As I was filling out the security questionnaire a Chrome extension popped up. I closed the extension which caused the Equifax questionnaire to start over but did not close the browser and had never caused any problem with any other site before. I filled it out once again only to receive the message I would not be allowed to receive online now even though the browser itself was never closed.

Thinking they would understand and give me a break, I mean I just went online to get it free, how would allowing me to get it free five minutes later be any different? I would have two copies? Why is that a problem? TransUnion even allows you to save as a PDF so you could access over and over or make a trillion copies. If I was successful at getting an Equifax report I could make trillions of copies just by scanning into the printer, so…? It just makes zero sense except that they want to drive you crazy until you tap out and give them money. They’re withholding my information for ransom. How is this legal?!

I spoke to the first customer service rep who went over a ton of security questions. I answered them all. When he asked about my house loan I advised it was just sold from one bank to another. He asked what my balance was with the first bank and I repeated I no longer had a loan there so I would not have a balance there. He repeated this question like 10 times, not exaggerated until I finally yelled 'Zero!' and then he was ready to move on. Are you serious?! To top it off he ended with 'you'll have to get it in the mail in 7-10 business days'. Infuriating!! This is highly inappropriate behavior. I never asked these people to keep track of my personal information and now they're going to abuse me while I try to retrieve it? Wow, there are no words.

But wait, there's more... I asked to speak with a supervisor who started going back over the same security questions. I asked her why we needed to do this again as the previous rep had already spent 15 minutes of my time doing this. She said for security reasons. After MANY more questions, I stopped her and asked 'are you going to advise me I have to wait 7-10 days after I answer all these questions?' She said no. She needed to ask more questions first and continued. I answered all her questions only for her to then say... you guessed it. '7-10 business days'. This was my breaking point. Now I’m angry.

I calmed down and called back later. This rep advised that I needed to go to Equifax.com NOT annualcreditreport.com. I was not in front of my computer at the time so I followed her instructions later. The site has a link and it’s the only link to get your report. You guessed it… annualcreditreport.com. When I was researching how they are allowed to do this I found that Consumer Affairs showing one-star rating, so obviously I am not alone here. I hope a lawyer forms a class action lawsuit. This is certainly not right!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

How is it that my credit is with a company that uses foreigners to talk to and you cannot understand a word that they are saying. I turned in a dispute, but by the way I had to do Webmail for this, because their security questions wants details such as how much was my monthly car payment 6 years ago. How the hell should I remember this. Or you had a mortgage in 2012, who was that with? I remember that it was bought and sold several times, so I have no clue who had it last. Then when you call, they ask these same damn questions. I have a dispute case number and an email stating they have closed my dispute to contact them for the results.

After a half an hour they finally agree that I am who I am and then can't find the dispute, but state that I have no negative claims on my account, which means they deleted it. So once again, my credit is based on an incompetent company and this could be a reason for the banks not to give me a loan!!! Seriously!!! This company should be disbanded!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I called the Equifax number yesterday. After verification of identity, I inquired about a previously disputed item. Lady told me a charge off stays on record for 10 yrs. I said 7 yrs. She argued with me. Then she apologized and acknowledged I was correct. So then she counted out loud, saying that a CO from 2011 will fall off in 2019. I corrected her math. She apologized again. My only question was when it was on record until. After many hesitations and dates, she finally said December 2018. It's as though they don't accurately educate the people that are supposed to be helping customers with their credit reports.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I can't prove I'm me to Equifax and I've come to conclusion I don't really care if they can't prove I'm me because I know I'm me and I will continue to file disputes when I see my info being used in a fraudulent manner. I just have to accept I will never see results of my disputes. I half way understand now why they were hacked; any company that operates the way they do deserve whatever they get. I hope the lawsuits tank the company because certainly deserve it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I called and went through my security questions and tried to dispute a hard inquiry on my account, they skipped over that and put a freeze on my credit account so I have to call anytime I want to use my credit. That was fine but they never helped with the hard inquiry, then they told me they never updated my name from when I got married 2 1/2 years ago. They made me talk to someone else who couldn't access my account using the same info I gave the last person. It went on like this for 45 min before they said they would transfer me to a supervisor of the supervisor because they were incompetent as well. They then left me on hold for 40 min before I hung up and called back which they then argued with me and told me I had the wrong information for my account again. They then put me on hold for another half an hour. So basically in 2 hours all I did was make it even harder for me to use my credit account since they don't even have the correct name.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I am trying to close on a home and for some reason Equifax froze my wife's account. Sent SSN and Driver's License to a fax number only to find out that it should be sent to a different fax number. Worst customer service I have ever had to deal with and most incompetent staff working to clear up these disputes that EQUIFAX HAS CREATED.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

For months now I have been trying to get Equifax to correct an issues they created during a Sunday (upload/download) of data of my credit file. I’m in the middle of trying to close on a home and they stated that one of my new accounts had been in a bankruptcy. This account was not in a Bankruptcy and to make matters worse this account is only two months old which make it appear as if I have been late as recent as two month ago (while I’m in the middle of trying to close). This is severely impacting my score and Equifax is giving me only two options which is dispute it (which I can have anything in dispute status because again I’m trying to close on a home) or I can send in documents stating this account is not in bankruptcy. (Mind Blown!!!)

They want me to prove they made the obvious mistake on my credit file as a public record of filing bankruptcy would appear as well which is clearly doesn’t. It’s not a joint account so there’s no other possibility other than they messed up. I requested them to send me a copy of what they received showing they had the authorization to put this account was in bankruptcy on my credit file and instead I was met with further hostility and frustration. The Supervisor then hung up on me. This is at least my second complaint against Equifax. The other was regarding having my file unattainable because of their systems issues. This has occurred three times this year alone! Now the data integrity is causing me further harm!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I got an alert from Credit Karma that a new credit inquiry was added to my Equifax report from AT&T. This was alarming to me because I don't have an AT&T contract and didn't try to sign up for any. This inquiry did not show up on my TransUnion report. I immediately went to the Equifax website and filed a dispute. Then I called the fraud department at AT&T. They verified that the info listed on the inquiry was them, but they searched their system for my personal information and couldn't find any record of anyone applying for anything with my name or social.

Since filing my dispute, the Equifax system has refused to let me log back in to check my status, even with the confirmation number they sent me. It tells me that they're unable to process my request because my information doesn't match their records. It's the same information I originally put in to file the dispute. After doing some research, I found out this actually happens to everyone who files a dispute.

After a couple of days went by, I got an email from Equifax saying my dispute had been completed. It had a link for me to log in and see the results, but the system still wouldn't let me in. Getting frustrated, I used the chat feature on their website. The chat person told me they were having "technical issues" with the website (for about 4 days?) and gave me both a phone number and a mailing address I could use to check my status.

I called the phone number. It was an automated system. After putting in all my information (the same information the website says is wrong), I got a pre-recorded message telling me my dispute was complete and I could log into the website to see the results. Then it asked me to either press 1 to replay the message, 2 to check a different dispute or hang up and end the call. There is no option to speak to a representative.

At this point, I can only conclude that Equifax is completely incapable of handling the responsibility they've been entrusted with. I believe the false credit inquiry is their fault, whether it's accidental or intentional. They've had the SAME technical problem with their dispute portal for close to 2 years and haven't fixed it. There have been FAR too many major issues and complaints about Equifax for them to continue operating as a trusted credit bureau. Their business practices should be thoroughly investigated, and, in my opinion, they should be shut down.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Identity? FIX. YOUR. WEBSITE!!! I don't want YOUR customer service rep to aid with a dispute. I cannot file because of YOUR website and multiple confirmations from YOUR reps. I am who I say I am; YOUR website fails to recognize this. YOUR reps fail to have a major criteria for customer service, complex thought processes and problem resolution! A minor detail, I was being transfer and asked for the phone # in case disconnected. I was given 7 digits. Dude, I need 10 of those. After runaround and being put on hold multiple times. I was told "It's kind of confidential".

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

EQUIFAX sends passwords via US Mail. That's right. I'm been a victim of identity theft since 2014 when our social security numbers were stolen to file false tax returns. Every year, there's a new theft. Using the automated system, I input my social security number & the just the number of my home address. Took 3 seconds. I signed up for a service with the USPS so that I get an email with an image of the mail to be delivered that day. There was 2 Equifax letters. My husband received his, I did not receive mine. More identity theft! It's useless to speak to a human who speaks English that is understandable. (My grandmother was from the Philippines). So to recap: Equifax uses cheap reps in other countries who speak but can't seem to understand their US clients. I have recorded phone calls. They are holding my info hostage. Next up is I file more reports and hire an attorney.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Dinged for a closed, paid in full acct 9 yrs later? Unreal. I left Aspire Visa due to extreme dissatisfaction and paid my whole account off in time and in full to be done with it. That was in 2009. So I get a notice from Credit Karma earlier this month lowering my score for having closed the account. I tried calling Equifax to speak to someone about this outrage, and you can imagine how far I got with that. And now there's magically nothing showing on Credit Karma for me to do my dispute thru their app. What a screwover; an honest, responsible account holder can possibly win at this rate.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

When I tried to get a loan I found out that in the Equifax report is error when trying to pull my report. So I was suggested to call Equifax to fix it up. So I did. First of all communication is almost impossible because person on a phone didn’t understand what I’ saying. I had to repeat and spell my name and address maybe 5 times and still I’m not sure if he got it right. Then they told me to send fax with my SSN and ID. So I did, few days later I called to check it out and found out that I was given wrong fax number. Fax it again and called again few day later and still they didn’t have my information corrected. Still waiting and my loan already gone. I just can’t believe that Equifax screwed my life.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Our son went to the bank branch we deal at to talk about getting a loan. They were told Equifax would call to get information. Now this is where the story goes south. The Equifax person mixed up our son with a cousin of his and then went on to accuse him of trying to do identity theft when in fact it was the Equifax person screwed up. Makes me wonder what kind of people they hire. Completely unprofessional.

When the Equifax employee finally figured out that, gee, maybe there are more people with the same last name in our city, and indeed our son and his cousin were two different people, they said they would call back in a day with the information the bank needed. It's now 5 days later and no word from Equifax. Clearly this company and/or this particular employee does not know how to treat people professionally. Really disturbing since they are involved with people's ability to retain financing.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have worked with all three agencies, and this is by far the WORST regarding eliminating incorrect data from files. The other two removed my dispute immediately. With Equifax, I have had to call 6-8 times, send a fax with my SS card and my license, and speak to numerous customer service people. I still have not had a resolution to my credit dispute. I even complained to the BBB in Georgia who were less than useful. And, yes, they comprised my data last year so my SSN and info is already out in circulation.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Equifax refuses to delete a consumer statement from my credit file. I have been trying to get it removed since July, every time I’m told it will be deleted but still remains. They are doing the same thing to previous address on my credit file as well. Equifax sends me a reinvestigation of results showing deleted information but when I check my credit file it has not been removed. This company is the worst at handling consumers' personal, private information. They lie and violate our consumer rights.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Equifax deleted 4 out of 9 accounts from my credit report, put hard inquiry by Equifax mortgage and dropped my credit score from 811 to 655 after numerous calls to fix this issue in the past 11 months.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Well first there are no people to speak to that are English speaking so I'm assuming all jobs are not in Canada which is terrible when you are dealing with your life... So my score keeps going down daily can't figure out why... My husband turns out had two separate accounts in his name... I had collections that weren't mine. I have letters from that bank that said no late payments and they refused to take late payments off even after investigation. They could figure out if my acct was to be paid monthly. I was being charged late every two weeks because of a bank error. Could not make them understand.

Now score goes down and I check my product as I do daily because they are so inept and this time all the enquiries are as one. The soft are on as hard. I call and of course it's a technical glitch. Will be fixed in a couple of days and my score will be fixed. We are refinancing our house and time is running out. Somebody step in. This is your financial life. I checked this am August 26 2018 and still the same? Who do I call to fix it? HELP.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I received an email that a dispute I filed yesterday with Equifax was completed. When trying to log in using the correct credentials and confirmation number provided, I am prompted with a notification that it does not recognize my information. I initiated a live chat on Equifax website and the agent's response was to call Consumer Service Department. I informed her I was deaf and asked for an email for correspondence as I have no assistive devices. She instructed me to have a relative come to my home and translate the call.

This is not an option for me. She then gave an email address that is invalid. I attempted to live chat with several more agents on Equifax website, all of which chats I have saved. Several told me there were no existing emails for customer support and two agents gave me different email address with which to correspond through. I believe both are invalid and fear I may have inadvertently sent information to an unsecure email address. I simply wished to know why two of the three derogatory remarks are duplicated with the same amount. I have never received a bill from them and would like to know their account numbers so that I can verify that they are valid and know what account to pay. Even the collection agency listed on my report does not have an existing account number for which they are trying to collect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I moved 8 years ago, luckily I know the people that bought my old house. Equifax sends a letter to my old address. The letter basically states, "This is what we have for your new address and this is what we have for your old address." So they mail it to my old address? Then the letter gives a phone number that is nothing but an automated line. All I can say is WOW.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I have spent the last two weeks trying to get my online account unlocked. None of the verifiable question are correct or have anything to do with me. I have spoken with numerous representatives, all of which refer me to another department, avoid answering my questions, not helping me at all. Then when it comes time to take the "survey" they are asking for, the line is disconnected. (I know right? Say it isn't so LOL.) This is a "for profit" company that has all our personal information (incorrect, I might say), has been hacked several times, is used by numerous businesses in making life changing decisions about us.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Violate the Fair Credit Report Act. Equifax are to reinvestigate the negative item shown on my credit report and to provide Proof of accuracy of verified items by providing original signed contract/agreement with wet ink signature or to remove any and all negative items where contract could not be provided. As of Today, I still have not received any valid proof of verification from Equifax yet they continue to report the items as accurate and verified. I think it unfair for Equifax have false information on your credit report.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Called by a potential employer who informed me that Equifax has a security freeze on my account. Called Equifax to have freeze lifted to find out that they don't have a freeze on my account. In fact, they hadn't updated my account since before November 2017, what happened to accurate updating my credit? Still had my old address on file (which had been updated with everyone else) refused to update address, informed me I had to fax in documents for proof for security purposes but didn't hesitate to ask me a million other private questions that validated who I am.

They need to catch up with the times, there is no email to send this info to, only mail or fax, and on top of it, it takes two days after it's faxed for them to get around to updating it. Lastly, and I'm usually the last person to do this. Every single person I spoke to had such a thick accent. It took repeating myself on average 4 to 5 times to get information relayed accurately. Equifax is beyond a joke and should be shut down as a major credit bureau.

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg