1.02/5

1087 Equifax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I'm really devastated about Equifax who released my credit report to Toyota without my SS# so anyone can come and pull a hard copy of your report without your consent. The credit bureaus are only protecting the financial companies, not the consumer. This system of credit reporting is totally unfair if it is only working one way. I called customer service and they asked me a ton of questions to verify my identity when they release my information without the proper one. If anyone has the same experience please let me know. Maybe it's time to sue them, maybe this will make them better.

Original review: March 16, 2019

If you try to use Equifax's online system it's a crap shoot if it works or not. I had to dispute several amounts that were already paid but still showing up on my credit report. The first time I tried to dispute these online with Equifax their system would throw security questions out at you, some that are incorrect but I have no way of correcting these random security questions and would be barred from my account online for not having the correct answers. However, the next day I tried again, received more random generated questions that were correct about me and was able to finally get in.

Once I was into the dispute portion for my issues, I started the dispute process. Fast forward to several days later I received via email Equifax's confirmation with a number saying they are working on my dispute and "You may view the results of your dispute online" with a hyperlink to click on to view the status of my dispute. That hyperlink takes you to a form where you fill out your name, SS#, DOB, etc. I put all the correct information in and hit the "Locate my credit file" button. It then cleared the entire form out and I had to start over again.

By the third time, I am giving this message, "We are currently unable to process your request! The information you have provided does not match our records; therefore we are unable to process your request online. Please try again later or submit your request via our secure Online Dispute Form. We apologize for the inconvinience." Yes, it had inconvenience spelled wrong. But more importantly I was unable to get into the status area to see how things were progressing. This isn't the only time I have had to deal with Equifax's malfunctioning site. If you try calling be prepared to have to hold for up to an hour and or get the run-a-round.

I finally sent in some of my disputes by actual "snail mail" but I am not getting a response by snail mail from them, only these generated emails with a number and link to click on that seems to not work. If you want to just create an account with Equifax direct on their site, they make you pick a product first before you can create an account. Your choices are: Lock & Alert, Score watch, Trusted ID premier, Freeze & Fraud alerts. That's it. What if I don't want any of these products? What if I just want to create an account for the purposes of checking my disputes, or to just pay for one credit report? Equifax has to be by far the worst credit bureau company out there. Get your ** act together Equifax, fix your website, fix your forms online. Please for the love of God make it easier for people to see the status of their disputes and or get a hold of someone by phone that can actually help you.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 15, 2019

In an attempt to better protect our family's personal information, we signed up for the Equifax Complete Family plan. After entering my information online, I was told that I needed to call the Customer Service number that they provided to finish verifying my information. After waiting on hold for over a half hour, I was informed that I do not have an account with them nor do they have a record of me creating one. However, according to my bank, Equifax did take $19.99 out of our account for this service. After talking with their customer service again, they told me that they were referring my case up and that I would have to wait 24-48 hours for a response to see if they can resolve this issue. Lesson learned, go with a more reputable company if you want identity theft protection.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I don’t often need to unlock my credit freeze but in an attempt to buy a new smartphone with a new carrier, it was required. 3 trips back to the store found my credit still locked with Equifax. Yes, I’ve also had those frustrating phone calls with the Equifax rep trying to prove I am who I say I am. And yes, my information is never good enough. Why do they give you a PIN number, then never ask for it or use it to get around all of the BS. Initially, I blamed the phone store for these issues, but it has become more clear that the problem is Equifax. They SAY they have unlocked my credit but never seem to do it. Now I’m trying to sign up for Social Security on the government website & Equifax strikes again! You’d think companies that check our credit would learn how bad Equifax is and use the other agencies—or at least know enough to inform us that Equifax is the problem, not them.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I am stuck in a never ending customer service loop with Equifax Canada. Somehow my account has been frozen because of suspicious activity. That's good I guess, however I have made 5 painful phone calls over the course of 20 days and there has been no resolution. I am now told to wait another week. I cannot access my account nor can I cancel it due to this appalling service. So now I am in a position where I am paying for absolutely nothing. The minute I gain access to my account I will be cancelling it. Do not pay for this product if you expect support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: March 1, 2019

Some "How to" information regarding Equifax... I am still on hold with Equifax. I initiated this call over 90 minutes ago. I spoke to five different people so far. The last is Rocky, ID # **. He is the first person who was able to understand my request, because he was located on the Mainland of the United States -- not in some foreign country.

Based upon what I have been able to ascertain, glean, surmise, guess--when you call Equifax: Begin by asking for the person's name. Insist on that before you are even willing to give them your name. Then, get their employee ID #. If they will not give it to you, ask for a supervisor in an American office. If the agent you are speaking to refuses, hang up and call back. Next, if you hear a heavy accent, ask for an American office. Equifax seemingly has off-shore offices all over the world. When you finally get through to an English-speaking person, confirm their location by asking for the names of the cities in which Equifax has offices. If they fail to say "Atlanta", ask if they have an office in Georgia, without providing a hint. If they do not say "Atlanta", you may be running into your first obstacle.

If any asks if for your full Social Security number, never provide it. Last four digits, that fine. Last six, you are in risky territory. By exerting due diligence at the beginning of your call, you are more likely to succeed in getting an acceptable response from Equifax. Never yell! Chances are that either Equifax does not have a policy regarding your issue, or that they did not tell their employees about that policy, or that the employee does not understand your query. So, call back again. Aloha from Hawaii, Glenn.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I usually get my score update from Credit Karma, however I took a look at my updated score and it dropped 80 points for using 50 dollars on one of my credit cards. The purchase wasn't even for me. I have the Exact same thing reporting to Transunion and my scores actually went up for using the card, therefore I believe this scoring system is a Government Conspiracy, they are deciding who gets credit. I'll fix it with my knowledge and months from now. But this is just ridiculous. It's Unfair! Just when my scores were back in the 600s. Round 2.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This company is literally the worst. How can a company charged with safe keeping our data outsource it to a foreign country? I have a verified account but when I go to dispute something it says my information doesn't match their credit file! Complete garbage and should credit information should never be outsourced to a third party. Scam! Website never works and the representatives from India are zero help. There needs to be congressional investigations into this company. I have never had problems with TU or Ex. This company needs to be shutdown immediately before even more Americans have personal information compromised and sold to Russia, China, and North Korea.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Any agency that is responsible for protecting my personal information as a requirement and now offers a monthly fee service to "better protect" is not an agency worthy of holding any of my information in the first place. For those who want free protection, they can freely lock their account at each of any credit reporting agency. Just make sure to keep your password/pin or it can be painful to unlock. I find that if any agency cannot "absolutely" protect my account 100% they should pack up, close the doors and never open another business anywhere on this planet.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I filed a dispute through Equifax last months. I have received numerous emails that are automated telling me I can review my status. Whenever I hit on the link and fill out all of my information along with answering all the questions, I receive this message, "System Temporarily Unavailable. We are currently unable to process your request. Please try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience." I then go back to the email which transfers me directly to the Equifax website and hit the dispute status button and fill out all the information again and get the message, "System Temporarily Unavailable. We are currently unable to process your request. Please try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience." This has been going over a month now. Why not send us an email that we can respond to or a number to call or don't send the emails at all.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

It is unfortunate to see so many negative reviews but it's nice to know I am not the only one that has had/is having, a terrible experience with this so-called company. I recently moved to a new Province and was hired by an insurance company. In order to be able to sell insurance I had to write 2 certification exams and then a government exam. I passed all the exams yet I am still not able to get my license because of Equifax. In order to get my license the company I am employed by needs to do a credit check which they are unable to do because Equifax has my wrong year of birth. Therefore, I am unable to work.

It took for 2 weeks to get the number to reach an actual live person (if you live in Canada you understand, the States have a much easier live contact as I reached the States representative no problem). Anyway, I finally reached a live person and they told me to submit proof of my proper birth date therefore I faxed them my dispute form along with my passport and driver's license. I then called them the next day to see if anything had been changed and I was advised that since I didn't put a rush on it it wouldn't be processed for 2 weeks. I was advised to resubmit my paperwork and documents and write a letter explaining the rush I needed. I was also advised that they have two files for me, one with the wrong year of birth and one with the right year of birth. Since they have two files I had to write a letter requesting that my files be combined so they can merge my birth date.

After doing all the above, and signing the dispute form, I receive an email saying they cannot make any amendments on my file and then I need to submit my social insurance number (which I did), sign my dispute (which I did), and submit proof of my date of birth because my fax wasn't legible. I sent my documents in twice, on different days, there is no way both aren't legible. Regardless, they entered my year of birth incorrectly, not me. It should not be a battle to get it changed especially when they have the correct date as well, like just delete the wrong file for goodness sake.

Long story short, this company is making me do all the leg work to right their wrong. This mistake is on their end yet when I dispute their mistake they reject it. Equifax is a complete joke and I don't know why/how it exists. They should be ashamed of themselves. I moved provinces for this job and need to be able to make money. This has been going on for almost a month. It's ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I had/have a fraudulent account listed on the three major credit agencies - Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax by an organization called LVNV Funding LLC. July 2018 Certified mail was sent to LVNV Funding LLC asking for a dunning letter of proof they were authorized to collect this debt and that this debt actually belonged to me. As of November 2018 no response had been received so I challenged the entry on all three credit reports - Experian and Transunion deleted the entry after their investigation. Equifax not only left the entry on my credit report, but lowered my credit rating.

Now I am forced to spend more time by composing a letter, with documentation, to put in my Equifax Credit Report laying out in detail the above. I have screenshots of the before and after Equifax "investigation" showing the lowering of the credit score for what I deem as spite akin to a punishing a bad child standing up to a authority figure. Equifax has lived up to everything we hear about them...

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have faced my driver's license and social security card to them and haven't gotten a response back in these 10 days. Even though I have a fraud alert on my credit that I'm trying to remove so I can get a vehicle. They told me it would be processed within 5 business days. No one on the line seems to be able under what I'm saying because there is a huge language barrier, that's extremely dangerous and unprofessional, especially since I already have a fraud alert on my account. It's sad that they can get away with holding up people's lives.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

It is so terribly sad that this company will drop your credit rating at the drop of a hat. As a small business owner, I have paid nothing late. I don't qualify for low interest rates because this company doesn't look at 18 years of hard work and paying bills. There is no way to fix what they report. It seems a conflict of interest to pay Equifax for anything. Who monitors them anyway.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Equifax sent email to indicated their 1 year free service, after Equifax failure to protect our information, was being cancelled. They said they would remove the lock on my credit bureau and I could get at no cost a security freeze. I filled out their form and created a password and the screen said I was unable to verify code sent to my email. The code was never sent.

A screen appeared to verifying purchase of an auto in 2013 with several screens about the bank name, payments etc. No auto was purchased so I answered none of the above for all of the questions. Equifax locked up everything and gave a toll free number to call. Equifax has done this 2 years in a row when I tried to print out my credit bureau. This is a possible scam to get people to sign up for their service to straighten this out. I called Equifax and answered numerous questions including my last credit card amount and Equifax said I would have to send in copies of my DOB and Social security number.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Firstly, I'd like to say that I worked in customer service for almost 10 years and know how tough the job can be and how little say the representatives have in the processes they're asked to advocate for & present to often-frustrated end users. That said, Equifax is by far the worst process I have had to deal with regarding customer service. The online tools don't work, the phone queues are ridiculously long (called on different days at different hours and had the same experience), the agents read from a script and have very little flexibility in what they can do to assist the caller & the same goes for their supervisors.

My issue was not resolved and I was given a convoluted, archaic process to pursue which is purely internal and not available for customers to read for themselves - the steps and details are only available through a phone conversation. Normally, you could just opt to deal with a different company. Sadly, there are very few options when it comes to massive credit firms like Equifax. If anyone from the company chances to read this, please invest some money in improving your customer service experience - it's a gold-plated ** right now.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We were offered "free" membership in the Equifax TrustedID program and advised we should freeze our credit to protect us. Then we could never unlock it despite being told we could after doing everything they told us to do via their website. Calls to customer service did not resolve the issue and were further frustrating. Emails to customer service were also useless.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Very time sensitive case and EF just couldn't possibly care less. Out of this world. I have dealt with a lot of companies, Equifax is off the charts. If you can - avoid Equifax! Couldn't possibly care less, and the people on the phone probably don't even know what company they're working for. Horrible horrible service that ends up costing me couple of thousand dollars because they delayed my closing. Thank you Equifax - never ever ever again!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This is a terrible company. Why would I waste my time calling over a simple question they can’t even answer without sending my life story in. When will my credit update was the question and I had to give everything up for an answer!!! Terrible, terrible company. I hope the owner sees this and realized that India isn’t the place. 1 you can’t understand them and 2 you can’t even answer a questions that is so simple to answer!!! Never will I ever use you guys for anything ever!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Recently, I found that this company cannot even keep my name straight. In addition, their records show the wrong name for my previous employer and the wrong address for a PO Box I used in the past. After sending multiple letters and documentation showing my name in passport, Social Security Card and driver's license, I still have not managed to get my name corrected. To add insult to injury, in their latest dispute confirmation letter (1/11/2019), they even deleted my previous employment record. It is remarkable that an organization designated as an identity-and-credit arbiter, can be this inept at acquiring and keeping accurate information on us. The US Congress should investigate their function and purpose in an effort to make them more accountable for safeguarding our information.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

The worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. First of all, every call taker is based in India. Equifax is an American company holding highly sensitive data about nearly every American and they are putting a foreign country in charge of all our private information including addresses, employment information, social security numbers, salary info, credit card data, etc. None of these three agencies should be outsourcing our personal American data to any foreign country or vice versa. We don't have Americans holding the financial information of every Indian citizen in their hands. Think about that for a minute. Cleary they do this to save money, however, they are putting all of our financial data at risk, which may be why they have had so many security breaches in the past.

What are the statistics on identity theft and fraud? Yet, the American government allows these companies with such sensitive data to outsource all of it to poorly paid, incompetent people out of the country! This is total insanity. Who has more to gain by selling American data? For two years now when I have tried to access my annual report, I get an error from Equifax, even though the other two agencies ask the same info. I am not alone. Thousands of people have the same problem. We are all then asked to send copies of our Driver's Licenses and Social Security cards via fax or regular mail. Then we have to verify our data again with customer service reps over open telephone lines providing things like our full social security number, addresses, date of birth, and personal security questions, that could easily be hacked or sold.

Even after all of that, they will only mail a hard copy of your credit report in "7 to 10 business days." Another security risk. You cannot access your report online to dispute the plethora of inaccurate data they have. Both TransUnion and Experian offer online dispute recording and resolution. With Equifax, you have to mail in or call in your disputes and speak with a ESL rep. Something needs to be done with this system. Hire fewer American call takers to handle our data and make sure they are trained in the handling of sensitive data. Hackers are constantly blamed for breaches, however, just like store theft, most loss comes from within a company or organization.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Took 2 days and 6 phone calls to finally get freeze off of our account to lease our car. How can this company continue to stay in business. Horrible service representatives who come across as uncaring. How do I go about getting the freeze permanently removed?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

This company "if you can call it that" should not be in business. Especially if they dealing with "YOUR" private data. They never get anything right. Their website login never works right. They will call personal loan companies home mortgage companies and have even people with close to your same name's stuff on your credit and take months to fix it when they admit that they did it by "accident" just because of the name. Hello we have different Social Security numbers!!! I could go on and on but I'll let you decide.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

These folks are the biggest dealers in private information in the world. They are notoriously incompetent and intentionally unhelpful in everything they do. Never put a freeze on your credit with them. They will use it to sell you services and will make it next to impossible for you to remove the freeze.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Recently, run a credit check for my Apple product with Equifax via Citizens One Loan, I got a decline saying not able to pull up my credit file. Upon talking to Customer Care Agent and Supervisor Amanda from EQUIFAX, I got to know they wanted to verify my personal information like my full name, SSN, current address, DOB and what not (which I gave them over a call, that to a couple of times), as they didn't have correct information on their records and I was asked to submit my personal documents over email/fax. All I asked was a return email from Equifax stating that they are not able to pull my records and hence asking me to send my personal documents via fax/email. I was ready to share my documents copy if they reached out to me via email.

Also, I wonder what difference will it make if I had sent those documents immediately, as all these documents will state the same thing what I gave them several times over phone call. And according to them, they are not able to pull up my report at all so who they were going to fix it. Wondering if they are creating their own credit reports or what??

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Never authorize a security freeze with Equifax. I have now tried several times over several months and they simply cannot find me in their system. As a 50+ year old I have had credit for decades and to have some 'customer service' rep in a foreign country that I must be mistaken about previously having credit is a total waste of everyone's time! I have provided 5 previous addresses, a TX driver's license, my SSN, my birthdate and my freaking shoe size and they still can't find me but they are still refuse to allow potential creditors access to my "non-existent" credit report. I repeat, NEVER authorize Equifax to place security freeze on your account if you EVER want to purchase a house or car again! They provide the absolutely WORST service from any company with whom I have dealt!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was never told that my Equifax account had a security freeze placed on it until I tried to lease a car. What is the purpose of these credit monitoring companies? Seriously? When the dealer ran my score I had excellent scores from the other 2 agencies, but my Equifax had a freeze on it. So I called customer service and spent a LONG time in their automated crap service. All that did was waste 30 minutes. Then I went online and tried to figure this out. The other 2 credit agencies were easy to navigate and I could see that everything was fine with my account with them. Equifax online gave me an error and a phone number to call.

Equifax online did give me one option: sign up for $4.99/1st month and then $19.99/month afterwards. "Cancel any time within the 1st 30-days to avoid auto charging of my credit" or something to that effect. I felt I didn't have a choice, so I started signing up. Then their system locked up on me halfway through the signup process. So now I'm paranoid to try to sign up again, because I believe they would charge me for 2 accounts. And I can only imagine how difficult it will be to cancel the accounts once they are established.

This number rang through to India, or somewhere rather fast. At first, I was thrilled to be able to speak with another human. Until the attitude bomb was dropped on me within 30-seconds. Whoa! I kept my cool and tried to deal with the English as a 2nd Language guy on the end of the line. After giving him my address, date of birth, social security number 3 times he finally said he cannot help me and I would have to send in a written request for them to take action. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? This is 2018. I have to send a paper request in. Insane.

If there is a major problem with my credit I believe I should have a right to know right away. I would go so far to say that Equifax should have an obligation to let me know what the problem is. AGAIN - WHAT DOES THIS COMPANY EVEN DO? I then asked the Equifax guy how long this process would take and he told me that they would "respond" to me in 30-days. Huh??? I have an excellent credit score and I cannot think about getting a car for 30+ days. How is this possible? I was so floored that I told the guy that he was of no use to me and I thought I hung up the phone. Then I let my feelings flow out in a series of curses.

Next, I hear the guy admonish me for my use of foul language. So I can only imagine that he put my bad mojo on my credit report and I'm going to have to beg forgiveness to the credit Gods in India. I can't imagine why they put this freeze on my account, but I am not happy I was not notified about it. And I am even less happy that I am now in a car-less position because of Equifax.

And worst of all - this is the only place I can vent my frustrations. If I could I would FIRE EQUIFAX and never let them around my credit information again. But they are a nameless faceless monster and I can't impact them whatsoever. I am extremely flustered. 1 star was too high of rating for the experience I just had in every way possible. Bad automated phone system. Bad online help system. Bad customer service support. Terrible problem resolution (send in a written request). NONEXISTENT notification of the credit freeze (I don't even know if I have a real problem). Charging me to sign up for monthly service ($19.99/month) to see what the problem is. What does this company do to protect me? To protect business? To protect America? I can only hope that Karma will find their business and place the same pain upon them that they dish out. UGHHHH.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

About 2 weeks ago I called TransUnion and Experian to have a fraudulent account disputed and removed from my credit report, both of those experiences went smoothly. So today I decided to call Equifax with the same dispute. I waited 2 weeks because of various reasons: work, plus I’ve heard they’re difficult to deal with so I needed to wait until I had a day off... Anyway I eventually got placed on a line with a non-English speaking gentleman (go figure) who couldn’t understand anything I was saying, making the multiple security questions a 2 hour long process to get through. By the time I had verified who I was to their satisfaction, I was finally able to tell them I wanted a 9,000 charge from Alliance One removed based on false information.

They told me they cannot remove the account, and tried to give me Alliance One number and I explained to them I already called Alliance One with the number they listed on my TransUnion account and that they said they didn’t handle my account and transferred me to multiple other numbers who also didn’t handle the account. So the number was wrong to begin with hence my dispute. The gentleman from Equifax wanted the number I called, but I could not give it to them as it was on my TransUnion report which has since been removed (I called 2 weeks prior to this) so I no longer had access to the phone number. It was like this guy was trying to protect Alliance One and not help me.

So by this time I was getting upset. I asked him why he was giving me such a hard time about something that I’ve already had removed by 2 other major credit agencies. I told him I didn’t appreciate the runaround and how he was trying to keep false information on my account. I told him how it negatively affects my day to day life (and that if and when Alliance One decides to report accuracy on my account that they can at any time). So why give me such a difficult time about having it removed in the meantime? It was absolutely the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered. They do not care about you!!! Only about the credit agencies reporting false information. They do everything in their power to keep it on your account!!! Absolutely insane that the government allows this **.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

It's VERY easy to commit fraud and freeze your account after fraud with Equifax, but when it comes to clearing the fraud from your name and unfreezing it, it's virtually impossible. Every customer service department has given us the runaround, the website won't allow you to create/use a login. You have to unfreeze or dispute anything. All in all, it's been over 12 years, we've faxed them (mail or fax are the only options), all the documents they've requested, numerous times. We've wasted days (not hours, but DAYS) on the phone and we've come no closer to having a clear credit record or a record that an agency can check (due to the freeze) when we need it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My credit score has dropped over 100 points in the last 6 months even though nothing has changed and I havent missed a payment. It is 100 points lower than TransUnion. I filed a dispute over a month ago and havent heard anything back. Trying to get through to a person to talk to has been near impossible. I finally got a hold of a person and I've been put on hold 4 times. No answers. No information on my dispute. I hate that this credit bureau has the power to ruin my ability to get a mortgage or a loan and yet isn't accountable to anyone and doesn't even make an effort to be available to customer inquiries. The only way to get a hold of anyone is mail or fax? What year is it?

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg