Equifax

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a product called Complete Premier Protection Plan and got charged for it. The product is intended and capable to refresh everyday, but it stopped working since April 24th 2017 and I a ticket was opened to resolve the issue from customer service. Today is End of 9th May 2017, I never received any Call or Email related to Issue and whenever I call to customer care they will make me wait for 30 mins. That's minimum and later they will say they will escalate the ticket and until now it's almost 10 times they escalated and no resolution and no refund, nothing. After talking to Customer service I was told that ticket is in Pending research status and it will take 7 to 10 days more. This is so horrible that they can't even differentiate the HIGH priority and SEVERITY of the tickets.

Equifax customer service reps are very rude and unprofessional to not do their jobs accurately. On April 28, 2017 my bank denied me of a loan I was trying to get due to Equifax having 2 files on me per my bank rep and not Equifax. So I contacted the dispute department not that I was disputing but because I needed to merge the 2 files that I had no knowledge of until my bank told me which is neglect on Equifax. So I was told that I had to fax my ID for Identity theft purposes. I never spoke of identity theft just to have my files merged. On May 2, 2017 I faxed the information and was told that I had to give them 48 hours and I would receive a letter in the mail confirming that my matter had been handled. I never got a letter.

The rep that told me that was rude and also told me that he couldn't even confirm that my fax was even received due to them working in a queue. I am in the customer service field and there has never been a time where I couldn't verify a customer's fax because it was in a queue. He would not give me any information due to him stressing that it takes 48 hours. Well today is 5/9/17 a week later and I called and spoke with a rep name Kenny and she told me that she had just pulled my fax and placed me on hold to merge the 2 files.

Finally I was able to find out what 2 files I had which were simply one was in my married name and the other was in my maiden name. I understand that Equifax is one of the 3 credit bureaus and people get divorce and remarried all the time and because of their lack of customer service performance my files were not merged together. I am not to do this but Equifax should. So Kenny said I have to allow 24 hours for the merge to be updated. So originally 48 hours turned into a week and a week has now turned into another 24 hours. This is ridiculous that a credit bureau is not doing their job but when a consumer wants to know about my credit it is easily done but when I as the person responsible for this credit have to be told lies on how long it will take in a rude fashion. Shame on you!

Kenny was the best rep I had while dealing with these people and she voiced to me that the job that was suppose to be done last week was not done but she handled the matter. If in 24 hours it is not merge I will speak with another supervisor cause the first one was rude. I am very unhappy with how I was handled! SHAME ON YOU EQUIFAX! DO BETTER! YOU CHOSE THE JOB NOW HANDLE IT ACCORDINGLY OR FIND OTHER MEANS OF EMPLOYMENT.

This company is by far the worst of the 3 credit reporting agencies. Their business practices are prehistoric at best. They haven't had my correct address or reporting info on file for 5 years now. How can a company be so "trusted" when the info they have is 5 years out of date? For them to change my address I had to jump through so many loops I almost gave up. This company shouldn't be trusted with such an important piece of info such as our credit history. I own and operate my own business. If I was to treat anyone of my customers this way I wouldn't be In business

This company is fraudulent. Equifax reports scores as high as 40-50 points below Transunion and Experian. My credit has been moving in the positive for over a year and my score hasn't move on point. There is now a 40 point difference between what Equifax is reporting compared to Transunion and Experian. I now make sure I ask creditors which company they use when running my credit. If it's Equifax I pass. When you call you get someone in India that is rude and has no idea what they are talking about and you can't understand them. I asked them to explain why my score has remained the same for over a year and they told me they couldn't give me that information.

These credit companies need to be done away with because they can really affect a person's ability to live. These score affect almost everything. I tried the Equifax online reporting and that is a waste of time because the information being provided is not correct. If anyone is having the same issue and thinking of filing a class action lawsuit let me know.

I reported an issue on my credit report and was informed it would take 48 - 72 hours to resolve. I even received a confirmation email that it resolved, however nothing was ever changed on my credit report. I just called Equifax AGAIN and was informed that the first time the coding was entered wrong, and there was nothing they could do except re-enter my dispute, and I would need to wait an additional 48 - 72 hours. The woman asked for my email three separate times and then informed me how important it is to have a high score to receive a mortgage and that I would benefit from their membership package, which I also already pay for. She then kept pushing me to pay for a higher cost package. Looks like they're really good at selling you stuff, and incredibly poor at actually updating and maintaining accurate records. I cannot believe this company is allowed to drastically impact people's credit with poor customer service and inaccurate reporting.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

For over two years I have tried to get my phone number changed and updated. This has been an impossibly frustrating task!!! When I paid to set this up I have a company cell phone. When I switched jobs, I got a different phone and phone number. Little did I know that because the phone was not in my name I was told "I'm sorry sir, we cannot complete your request without a copy of your current phone bill." I had sent my driver's license, birth certificate, income tax, passport, and social insurance. Like really!?! That's not enough proof??? I eventually just got a phone in my name and sent that in when I tried to get a car loan. The people on the phones are completely incompetent and read from a script. So they do not answer your questions or concerns. When I asked the one person how long it would take she said 3-5 business days. 6 business days go by and nothing in the mail.

I call again the guy now says from his script, 3-5 business days!!! Again!!! When I asked why, he says the exact same thing. In other words I got absolutely NOWHERE!! Just want to thank Equifax for interfering with my life in a very negative way. Oh, and who will pay the credit card interest for the deposit I put on the car that was refundable once the deal went through. I would rather deal with fraudsters that deal with you ignorant people!! I will never use this service again and I tell everyone about the bad experience you people put me through!!

It is a waste of money and they lie to you when offer $4.95 free trial... Because I cancelled mine before 30 days and they charged me $19.95 for next month saying I did not cancel it before billing date... Anyway I will never use this service never ever again.

I signed up with Equifax for monitoring service and fraud alert. When open disputes closed and I was attempting to view the results of the disputes; discussing these questions with the agents led nowhere. I have had 3 calls and 2 faxes in the past 60 days to Equifax updating my mailing address per their requested method of communication (fax). Even after calling today a 4th time to check if they mailed out the results of the aforementioned disputes, they had not done it! Unfortunately the customer service seem to not understand what is going on. Every department I speak with is unable to do anything, transfers me to another department, until eventually someone tells me what I want to hear to get me off the phone.

All I wanted was confirmation in mail form, digital form anything of the dispute closing. Yet no department is able to resolve my concern. I just got off the phone; over a 2 hour call. The last 30 minutes we're just trying to end my account. The agent asked for feedback, then proceeded to correct me, stating that they "are doing the best they can". Ultimately, the agents in every department don't have good training to deal with their own system. Agents were unable to do basic things like update my information, send me an email, send me a letter, or even answer questions about the website, where to access online dispute information, etc. My expectation for Equifax was at a minimum to have conversations with people without repeating myself 2-3 times for every proposition.

I disputed a few items on my report. Equifax took 14 points off my score for the disputes. I've been working on fixing my credit for a year and a half now. It's pointless. Rep said in order to increase my credit score I need to obtain a mortgage and a revolving account. Surprise, surprise, I can't get either with such a low score plus Equifax doesn't handle disputes accordingly. Cash on the barrel for a house, car, and everything else. Credit bureaus should be done away with. It hurts the consumer and seller too.

In January I paid to be able to see my credit score on Equifax because I was buying my first car and wanted to be sure everything was ok. I told myself that I will cancel my subscription the next month. In February I wasn't even able to see my account! I thought to call but I didn't had time and forgot. Last week I decided to end this. I then try to connect to my account, I wasn't able, then I try the "you forgot your password" and it didn't do anything. Then I called and the first thing I heard was that they were too busy. So I send them an email in French... because I live in Quebec city, French is my first language and Equifax Canada is based in Montreal, a city in a French province! So, the next day I received an automatic answer telling me that they are receiving an abnormal amount of requests and that I will receive an answer in the next 2 business day and that automatic message was just in English. They are suppose to at least send it in both languages.

So at the end they were saying that if I had anything to add to answer by this message... So, I send them an answer about the fact that they are oblige to answer me in French since I send them my question on the French part of their website and in french and that it wasn't acceptable to receive an automatic answer only in English! So tonight, a week after, I received an automatic messaged in English, then in french, telling me that my case is closed. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED AN ANSWER FOR MY QUESTION! And then I received another message containing a survey in English only. OK I speak English very well but IT IS MY RIGHT to be answered in French in this country. So now I am going to search where I can make a complaint about the fact that I can't receive any answer in French.

I canceled my Equifax monitoring product due to their customer service department is horrible. They can't help you with anything. I had a simple request. I disputed a DirecTV inquiry that came on my report without my consent. After jumping through 32 hoops I was told they couldn't help. I have no use for the monitoring product if that's the case. Also you get transferred out of the country to someone that you can't understand and has no clue what they are doing. I think we should boycott all companies that have overseas customer service. I am going to and will start with Equifax.

Equifax will not remove a negative account from my credit report that legitimately is not mine. I opened an investigation with all three credit reporting companies. Both of the other companies removed the account because it is fraudulent and the collection agency had no right to ever put it on my credit report. Equifax investigates it and comes back with "we have verified this is your account". I know for a fact they did not investigate because if they had they would have discovered just as the other reporting companies did that it is a fraudulent account. Equifax is horrible. Now I have to waste more of my precious time to figure out how to get this removed.

I have disputed a claim that I reviewed on my Credit Report with Equifax. I have disputed the same issue 3 times and have yet to receive proper or sufficient assistance, and this is with me assisting them and advising how they can quickly determine that the claim is not mine. For example, if you have someone saying that you owe a Medical bill and you want to prove it isn't yours then checking the Date of Birth and SSN should be a simple way of doing so, but Equifax just claims that my name was confirmed by the Medical company. Of course I have a common name but I implored them to check my Birth date and SSN with their Medical records and they responded, "We again confirmed this claim belongs to you via your name." This cannot be real, I don't believe that they can't do a basic check unless they really don't care about the people they report about.

Equifax is only interested in taking clients' money by their automatic billing charge. They still charged me when I had request for cancellation of my service even at the last date of the billing cycle. To my surprise, they quickly send me a mail on my credit rating after I wrote to take it up with them if I don't get a refund. General public, BE CAREFUL when dealing with Equifax. They are cheats. They forcefully charge clients when service has been requested to be cancelled. I intend to seek Consumer Protection Commission intervention into looking into my complaint.

While attempting to temporarily lift a security freeze, was numerously told they could not go through with the lift. I couldn't even get logged in! Very darned frustrating! I'm a law abiding citizen, trying to access my own info. I've got my security pin, but what good did it do?

I have written Equifax on 2 separate occasions that my credit score with them is always 80 points less than Experian and Transunion. I believe equifax does this because most business use them for credit worthiness of the consumer. When the score is lower the interest rate is higher to the consumer, which means more dollars to the lender and more business for equifax. I feel there needs to be a class action suit against them, I know I am not the only consumer equifax is screwing!!

After reading all these reviews, it seems like this company is terrible on many fronts, primarily with rectifying erroneous items on clients’ reports. Thankfully I have not had the misfortune of experiencing that myself, I have empathy for anyone who has and inevitably will in the future. I was a paying member for Equifax premium (monthly) plan and decided I no longer need to be. My first cancellation attempt was below average, being transferred to the Philippines to a less than coherent department with lame scripted responses... was told it was successfully cancelled, however I never obtained a confirmation email I was advised would be sent.

A month later I am charged for a renewal and called back. Once I reached a representative and politely mentioning I was looking for a refund/proper cancellation. The representative told me their systems are being updated and to call back at a later time. "Conveniently" once I mention a refund, the systems go down. I advised the representative that I can wait and threatened to issue a chargeback. Suddenly, the systems functioned again. Representative affirmed I cancelled 24 days prior to the charge, apologized (which I appreciate) and advised me she will properly cancel this time. Once more, I inquired about a refund, I did not get a clear answer. She advised me that the service will be cancelled and it will remain available for another 30 days.

Here's a conclusion: Representative advises me the systems are down, just to immediately have them function after a chargeback threat? You can confirm I called and cancelled prior to an automatic renewal charge, but cannot confirm I'm entitled to a refund? I have to repeat myself many times and wait on the line to be assured I receive a cancellation email. The contents of that "confirmation" email neglects any mention of a refund or escalation process for a refund. No managers to escalate the call. No sense of intricacy, all dull and scripted answers.

Conclusion: Went through that to have 50% of my request completed when 100% of this simple request was supposed to be completed on the initial attempt. It's not the refund I'm bothered about. This company, like many others take the general public for condescending and manipulable profit prospects. They offer a service to monitor and report on credit history and reliability yet they use deplorable profit techniques on credit cards and are reluctant (at best) to rectify discrepancies. Somehow they are the ones entitled to report and judge our reliability for business?

Equifax simply refuses to correct my inaccurate credit report no matter how much I call, dispute or send documentation proving their information is inaccurate. Not only is this illegal, but it's unethical, shameful and reeks with corruption. Everything this company does, every policy they enforce, the "customer service" they provide and the interface they direct you to only leads to create dissatisfaction, confusion and stress for consumers whose livelihoods depend on the financial information they report. Equifax has cost me thousands in interest fees because they simply refuse to report accurate information. They have refused to remove a 9 year repossession from my account; they refuse to remove a collection item that does not belong to me, they refuse to provide documentation for an account that was Verizon's fault and not mine and they also refuse to report open credit card and loan accounts in good standing.

If the information is good, they take their sweet time reporting it. If the information is negative, it instantly appears on your report and if you don't pay it off in full, it is almost impossible to get them to remove it. Experian and Transunion both had the same misinformation that Equifax had, but they promptly investigated and removed the negative marks once I provided documentation that the information was false or had exceeded the 7 year mark. Every step in the process from accessing, viewing, printing and managing your report with Equifax is nightmare.

This is why they are terrible: Customer service is outsourced to people who cannot speak English well enough to understand complex financial jargon or advanced speech; Customer service is primarily automated and when you do get a human they are rigid and discourteous; The Equifax credit report (when printed) is complex, confusing and saturated with useless information that does not aid in understanding the report (I printed a 90 page credit report from them with only about 15 entries. The majority of the information was just filler information that could have been omitted).

I finally decided to check my credit and discovered there was a mistake. Using CreditKarma.com I filed a dispute with Equifax regarding the problem. All they did was put a comment on my credit report. So I signed into Equifax and noticed they had an erroneous address and was using a last name I had not had since divorce in 2008. Apparently the collection company I was disputing was reporting in my prior name and sending collection letters to someone in Bismarck North Dakota. I then went deeper into the dispute via the Equifax file and learned they sent an 18 page report to the person in North Dakota that included my former name(s), my prior addresses and some I did not recognize, my date of birth, my social security number and all personal information.

I called their fraud department and learned that I was reaching the Philippines and being told I didn't know what I was talking about. I asked to speak to the US and I was told they do not have phones. After some persistence and telling them with President Trump they would soon be out of a job, (LOL) they transferred my call to the US. Finally! I spoke with the person and learned I was not reaching Atlanta GA but an Equifax call center in Nevada. They did admit they sent my personal information to North Dakota, we did what we needed to, to protect me and when I asked if I have trouble where HOW DO I REACH YOU AGAIN? She stated that I just need to call the fraud department that will connect me with the Philippines and immediately ask to be transferred to the call center in the United States where they are helping me and that will get you out of the Philippine call center. Good luck everyone I hope this works for you.

A few years ago someone opened a line of credit using my name when a card offer was sent to his home in error, because we share a first name, middle initial and last name. It must have seemed like a windfall for him. His year of birth, addresses and overdue payments are now listed on my Equifax account. Attempts to file disputes both online and by U.S. Mail have failed to result in a reply or effort at acknowledgment. Pathetically, I was informed during a recent online attempt that the correct information I was sending did not match their records and so my request could not be processed. If I could register this review with no stars, I would.

I have been unable to access my Equifax information online, particularly regarding the lifting of a credit freeze. No problems whatsoever with Transunion or Experian. Equifax has no record of a prior address where I lived for OVER 2 years. After hours on the telephone with the credit freeze department, I finally found what I hope is a fix, and hopefully it might help others with similar circumstances. Seek out the Equifax PERSONAL SOLUTIONS DEPARTMENT. Take good notes and always ask for a Confirmation Number regarding your issue. In my case, they discontinued the old credit freeze and issued a new one, sending a new PIN to my current address. If this doesn't work, I'll update in the future.

Equifax has been a continuing problem for me and two of my grown children. My son was told by an Equifax representative, that he hadn't given the representative his correct name. To which my son replied, "It's my name! Don't you think I would know my own name? The name that's on my birth certificate!" The irony of me not being able to access my account online is that my wife has had no problem accessing hers and we live together. Meaning, she has had the same addresses that I've had. Equifax has our previous address correct on my wife's but not mine?!? Absolutely NO problems with the other two Credit Agencies: Transunion and Experian. Extremely frustrated!

My data was breached and the retailer has told me I could have all 3 credit bureaus set fraud alert at no charge yet I find this requires a charge from Equifax. I cannot find a way around it on their website and refuse to signup for this and then cancel it... especially after seeing the other recent complaints posted.

I don't know how credit companies rely on such bad company, I have been having problems since 6 years and not being able to fix. I faxed over 4 times, called over 6 times, mailed all the documents, requested to remove a bad note in the system. I even called the credit company to make updates, but Equifax remove the note and few month later the note comes back. I'm frustrated and angry that I can't do anything. I'm under their mercy. This system is bad. Really bad. Someone somewhere should close this company down. Very bad phone service. Very bad service.

I had for more than 12 years had Comcast at my home for a very modest fee of between $15 and $45 per month. I got this special as part of my job as an apartment manager for referring new residents to Comcast and distributing their literature. When I left this job I continued to reside within the same community as I prepared to move to Port Orchard to care for my father. Comcast required as I was no longer going to be recommending them and distributing their literature to close my old account and open a new one. This was not too difficult as I was changing homes anyway.

When I started my new service I WAS CRYSTAL CLEAR that I would only be residing in the Spokane Valley for about 4 months as I closed out my other affairs. The salesman asked me three times about their one year special and I repeatedly told him of my very short stay and declined so much so that he actually started to make me angry as he hyped his services in complete disregard to what I was saying. After about 5 months I vacated the apartment I had been staying at and returned my equipment to Comcast main office on Division. Imagine my surprise when the clerk I dropped my equipment with asked how I would be paying for the remainder of the year. I explained my previous exchange with the seemingly deaf high pressure huckster salesman who despite being told three times NO to his one year special had promptly taken it upon himself to evidently sign me up anyway-or so I was told.

I had the paperwork given from my sign up and showed it to him asking him to show me where I had signed for this one year, he was unable to find it as the page described only the equipment. I had paid my bill just two days before returning my equipment and so I pulled it up on my phone and showed him that as well. He acknowledged that I currently had no outstanding balance but would be subject to a cancellation fee for not going the full year. I asked again please show me the document I signed showing I accepted their one-year special and he could not furnish it. He got his manager whom reiterated the same thing at which point I again asked for the document showing my agreement to this one year contract. After several more minutes of their attempted coercion to get me to pay I left.

This is where it gets comical. About two weeks after my move and I am now living in Port Orchard I get a call from a Comcast representative. He inquired why I had cancelled my service and if there was any way to get me back. I again explained my initial sign up and my equipment return issue. I told me then the account shows no such agreement and that was Comcast's way to get me to stay with them rather than cancel. When I asked why he would be so forthcoming he explained that he does not work for Comcast but is a vendor hired by Comcast to bring customers back. I thanked him for his honesty and told him if Comcast were in Port Orchard I would consider them again based on his honest interaction. Keep in mind I had more or less been a Comcast cheerleader for 12 years and most of those had been positive ones. He thanks me and said he would make a note on the account and that he showed a zero balance due.

After more than three months more Southwest Credit began calling. They threatened me with garnishment and ruining my credit. Again, I told my story and denied the debt as being valid. I asked for paperwork proving the debt was a valid one as required under debt collection regulations. I was promptly told there was no such requirement. They have contacted me several times since with the same threats and my request has been made each time. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO FURNISH ME INFORMATION PROVING THE DEBT VALID.

Finally, after being unable to reach resolution I disputed the debt with Equifax. They denied my claim again without furnishing any proof the debt was valid. I filed a second dispute. This time I pointed out the fact that the invalid debt was also a violation of Comcast's settlement with the FCC. The FCC said it received over 1,000 complaints from customers, who said Comcast charged them for premium channels, cable boxes, DVRs or other products that they never ordered. In many cases, the FCC said, customers expressly told Comcast that they didn't want the add-on options, but they were charged anyway. Complaints also describe how customers spent "significant time and energy to attempt to remove the unauthorized charges" and get refunds, the commission said.

The complaints spurred the FCC to launch an investigation nearly two years ago. This agreement states, Under the five-year compliance plan, Comcast must begin sending customers special notifications every time a new charge or service is added to their bill. The company also has to add a way for customers to easily block the addition of new services or equipment to their accounts, according to an FCC press release. Comcast (CMCSA) was also required to compensate or address complaints from customers who have disputed charges, and it will be barred from referring an account to collections or suspending an account that has a disputed charge.

This is the second time this has been disputed under the law and my rights. Not only is Comcast specifically forbidden from sending this disputed charge to collections I am due compensation for the erroneous charges to begin with. These repeated disputes are an example of why. Despite multiple attempts to file a complaint online Equifax has made the online process impossible to complete. I have now wasted more two hours of my time disputing something that violates the specific FCC resolution. It appears at this point that Equifax is complicit. MY REQUEST IS A SIMPLE ONE FURNISH PROOF AS REQUIRED BY LAW THIS IS A VALID DEBT OR REMOVE IT.

Equifax refuses to correct an inaccurate as well as erroneous item they put on my report, stating the FI which made the error needs to contact them. However, that FI has done so in 2012 in addition provided me with a letter confirming the same. I have faxed Equifax the follow-up documentation to their HO in Montreal. I dropped off all relevant info back in 2012 at Eq office Toronto (in person as well). I have called and requested an escalation of the matter min 10 times back in 2012. This was ignored/dismissed again and again with the words it is the FI that needs to correct their report which brings me back full circle. BMO has already done that yet another FI has just advised me for a job search. They are still seeing this item on there, it has not been removed.

I echo another complaint registered on this site regarding unfreezing one's credit. I do not believe I was ever issued a 10 digit PIN number. Apparently the ability to lock and unlock credit used to be an Equifax owned and controlled amenity. After spending hours, literally, on the phone with some lunatic at Equifax, I learned that this component of their services has been given to an unrelated third party company. Despite the fact that when you call the applicable numbers, everything says you are calling Equifax. Assuming this longwinded moron is correct, Equifax has nothing to do with this company. All of this is super shady and pretty scary given the amount of information about you that these companies have.

I tried to unlock my credit and was not successful. The process is so overly complicated, cumbersome and insecure. The websites and web pages don't work. After hours trying to find contact numbers and then calling various numbers and multiple crazy automated systems with frequent disconnects, I was not able to complete my transaction, I missed out on a deal, and my credit is still locked up. From what I am reading I will have to send various documents and correspondences via mail, along with money, to get it unlocked and get these people to go away forever. It is all so shady that I am going to do it because I have no choice, then I am immediately getting LifeLock. This company is so shady. Read these reviews. I read several and they are accurate. This is one scary and questionable operation. Stay away is my advice.

My credit score has been great except for a delinquent account that wasn't mine and I disputed it with Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. Equifax wouldn't delete it saying it was my account while Experian and TransUnion has deleted it because they investigated and found it was not mine. I called that delinquent acct and they do not have my social security on that account, told me to just dispute it with the 3 credit bureaus. What do I do with Equifax saying it is my account???

I had to freeze my credit report but between the length of time that passed and my move I somehow lost the PIN number to unfreeze the report. Trying to verify my identity to get a new pin was overly complicated. They were not specific about what information I was missing and took multiple tries before I finally got it right. And then the website says to enter the 10 digit PIN to lift the security freeze but there is no box to enter the PIN into. They make it impossible for you to unfreeze your credit report.

These guys have a super shady phone system. When you call for your free credit report, you can't just get it. You have to navigate a maze of listening, pressing buttons, listening, pressing buttons. Yes I know this describes a normal call center but it is intentionally long, boring, and if you mess up at any point you have to start over. Also, it takes about 20-30 minutes each time and at the end they have a bunch of options that require you to pay for services but it doesn't tell you that you have to pay until you select the number then it asks you for your payment info. Your only option is to hang up and try again on another 20 minute call. I'm willing to bet that 95% of calls are from people wanting their free credit report so they could make the system easy but then they wouldn't make profits from tricking and manipulating people!

I am going to copy this problem to the Fair Trade Commission and suggest anyone else who has experience with Equifax's shady business tactics do the same until they are forced to change. They are REQUIRED BY LAW to provide you with a free credit report and they make a TON of money from the fact that they sell your report to other people and businesses, and even back to you, plus all their shady ways of signing you up for services you don't really want or need.

Our livelihoods depend on these companies who act with impunity and answer to no one. There needs to be regulations governing how they behave. For example, mailing all of one's information is not secure or efficient way to place or lift a freeze or get a report. These companies have no regard for the trouble they cause by having wrong information on a consumer and the delays they cause. There needs to be accountability.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.
  • Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.
  • Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.
  • Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.
  • Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.
  • Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Compare Credit Report Sites