3.6/5 (628 ratings)

About Equifax

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

I have found since using Equifax the site to be impossible to navigate, when I call Equifax, there are way too many automated options to direct you to where you need go which is an impossible task, when you finally speak to someone they pass you from pillar to post to get you to the right person being put on hold yet again. Nothing is done quickly. Getting something resolved can take a month! Yes a a month. I have never had to deal with such a difficult company proceedings as this one. Dreadful.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

Victim of identify theft, Equifax doesn't set passcode. Not good and the theft has your information can request unfreeze your credit anytime. Equifax doesn't provide a secured protection on your personal data.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

They used outdated information and it's nearly impossible to contact reliable customer service to get them to update addresses, paid off mortgages, etc. Their scores are always considerably lower than the other credit reporting companies. I have little debt and only 1 late payment in 20 years, yet they recommend getting more credit to increase your score - makes one wonder if they get kickbacks when people fall for applying for more credit cards when they don't need them. The dispute process is ridiculous. The reports they send are a mess, hard to read and confusing. It's mind boggling that any lending agency would use these idiots.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

After reviewing my credit I decided to apply for a mortgage. The day they pulled my credit Equifax dropped my credit score by 40 points. After investigating it was absolutely for no reason. As my other credit reports reported lower balances on credit cards the reported highest balance. I then disputed it and a month later they fixed it. Raised my credit score then the next day dropped again 25 points because of a inquiry. They are complete trash. 700 plus on all my credit scores except them. They refuse to fix it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I've made 8 attempts over a 2-month period to get my Equifax Credit Report. I've been on hold Many times, only to be told that my "issue will be elevated." Every time I attempt to log in, I am prompted with a pop-up message telling me to call the toll-free number. Every time I call back, Equifax "elevates my issue". After my issue is elevated, I am sent an email response (about a day later) from CUSTOMER.CARE@EQUIFAX.COM, that my "Issue has been resolved. Please log in." I am still UNABLE to log in and view my Credit Report!

Every time I call customer service, I am told the exact same things over & over again: "Have you tried logging in WITHOUT using a VPN?/Have you tried logging in through Chrome?/Have you tried logging in through Edge?/Have you tried Re-Setting you password?/Have you tried logging in through your Desktop?/Have you tried logging in through your phone?/Try a different Email..." I've hit a BRICK WALL with EQUIFAX. There is NOBODY else to speak with and NO EMAIL ADDRESS to voice my Concern/Complaint.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I called to cancel my membership and they left me on hold for 50 minutes and then never came back, Just redirected me to the original call center. What a horrible experience and what a horrible way to treat other humans, this planet doesn’t need more stuff like this.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Equifax call center in Philippines, a representative name Marvin, employee ID #**, who was so unprofessional and unacceptable!!!! He asked my full name, but Equifax system somehow mixed up my first and last name around! He ended up unable to verify my ID and got mad. I started to offer my first name & last name, but he stopped me and said, "I asked for your FULL NAME, I didn't ask for your first or last name..!" I explained in the US, we preferred first & last name separately to avoid any confusion. He said, "I'm in Philippines not in America..!" He should follow his client (Equifax) customer culture and should never project his own culture (Philippine) to the North American customers and that was a basic mistake on him!

He should ask me to spell my first & last name and that will figure out my full name got switch between first & last! But he didn't and stated the system could not pull up my file, and I have to submit some sort of document to proof my ID..! I told him that he was so unprofessional and should not work in a call center and that is a shame that Equifax had such unacceptable offshore worker! So, I hung up and call back and got another representative answer my request, this time the new representative asked me to spell my full name and resolved the issue due to their system indicated my last & first were switched around! So, Equifax offshore call center in Philippines a customer representative name Marvin, employee ID #** was an unprofessional and unacceptable worker in his field!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I have a membership with Equifax, my personal and credit history on line is about six years out of date. Tried calling four times, can't speak to any person. I was denied loan because of out-of-date information and I have a very high credit score. Absolutely total waste of my money and honestly I cannot see how this is even legal for any company to do, charge me for an out-of-date credit history and one cannot get it corrected.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

They are useless and not legitimate company. I have both my Experian and Trust Union is on excellent score they gold correct information regarding my electoral and adresses address. However, this ** Or God knows how they operate scored my account as a poor* due to their computer* generated score. First of all, they hold so many incorrect information regarding my informations. They accumulated my surname incorrect so they couldn't find me on electoral register (idiots of course can't find when they spell it wrong). They said I have missed payment from water bills and then I checked with my supplier (all paid of via direct debit) and all is set as it should. Because of their idiotic computer-generated point-based system my real life suffered. Such a shameful company shouldn't exist!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

Been fighting with Equifax for almost a year to fix incorrect information. Been nothing but issue after issue with them. Barely can speak to someone that doesn't have broken English. They don't read very well reading off their computers until you get rude. Then if you asked to speak to a supervisor they say there isn't one. Are you kidding me, this is a credit agency.

I sent business letters requesting the information be corrected. I sent out certified letter with accurate information about these account and I don't get an response to them about my dispute. My credit report has not been up-dated since March, 2022. Which has cause me to denied for credit and offer very high interest rates. That cause me to turn away from them loans. Then comes out that they has been reporting incorrect information to lender and taking points away from your credit score. This company is doing more damaged than anything to everyone to whom they services. Finally I contacted Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and waiting to hear back.

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor