2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.5/5 (881 ratings)

About Equifax

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Can’t use my credit card bc they have my profile “on hold” for some documents I signed A WEEK AGO. Wtf smh. I called my credit card customer service line and everything is fine on their end. They’re SO NICE they’re just waiting on EqUiFaX. Like this would only happen to me.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

My score was 675.. two months ago.. But after I paid off 2 loans together of about $14,000.00 and a collection of $5,000.00... it went down to 585? I don't understand. My score should have went up to almost 800? Maybe it because so many people are doing bad because of the Corona-virus and their scores are going down... But don't pull my score down with them.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

In 2017 an Equifax data breach affecting 143 million people. That breach was dwarfed by other hacks of security. The 2018 breach of Equifax is possibly the most severe of all for a simple reason: the breath-taking amount of highly sensitive data it handed over to criminals. By providing Equifax with full names, Social Security email private home address still puts everyone at high risk if you have any dealings with them. AVOID EQUIFAX. ALWAYS.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I just paid all credits cards down to zero balances. Had to use one for expensive pharmacy. I literally closed 2 credit cards out same day. No credit cards late or in default. These people dropped my score 35 points for using one credit card! This is totally uncalled for. They should not be in the people business, they can destroy lives too easily. Companies rely on them for deciding credit worthiness.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I don't normally write reviews for anything but my experience with them has made me want to warn others of how awful their customer service is. Cancelled my account in June and they have continued to charge me for a service I don't use (or ever used since they couldn't even provide what I signed up for in the first place). I have called countless times, every time being told that I need to wait and that it has been escalated to the highest point, but finally gave up and tried to file a dispute with my credit card company but Equifax refuses to send me the information I need in order to do so. Not to mention if I log into Equifax it tells me to buy a subscription, so I'm being charged for a service that I can't even use if I wanted to. Avoid them if you can.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I canceled my Equifax account 3 months ago and they continue to charge me the monthly fee of $22.54 for a service I no longer have. I have called in repeatedly and been given multiple case numbers. I always get the same response of needing to wait 5-10 business days for the complaint to be escalated to the billing department, which never happens. There are many other online credit providers (TransUnion, Credit Karma). If you are looking for your credit score do not use Equifax. Very concerning and disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Updated on 09/05/2021: This is an update to a review I filed awhile back on Equifax. I had a company called LVNV Funding LLC (AKA) resurgent Capital services to report a fraudulent debt on my credit report. Equifax knew this debt was fraudulent. Equifax went on record 5 separate times and said they validated this debt to be accurate and mine, They said they contacted the original creditor and the original creditor verified that this was my debt. I contacted the same original creditor and they sent me a letter and said they had no knowledge of any debt that I had with them. I submitted this letter to Equifax.

Equifax responded and again said they had contacted the original creditor and verified this debt to be mine. I contacted the original creditor again and again they sent me a letter saying this was not my debt. I again submitted this letter to Equifax and Equifax again replied that they (Equifax) had contacted the original creditor and verified that this was my debt. I requested to see the documents Equifax claimed they received from the original creditor that verified this was my debt. Equifax refused to supply me with a copy of those documents.

Finally the Original creditor sent Equifax a letter asking them to remove LVNV Funding trade line from my Equifax credit report. Again Equifax refused to remove LVNV Funding trade line. They said that the original creditor could not ask them to do that only LVNV Funding could request their trade line be removed from my credit report.

I called Equifax and talked to Evone (Probably not spelling the name right). Evone admitted that Equifax knew this was a fraudulent debt and that the original creditor had verified that this was not my debt. Evone told me that Equifax would not remove LVNV Funding trade line from my credit report despite knowing this was not my debt. Evone informed me that only LVNV Funding could request their trade line to be removed from my credit report. Finally Equifax finally removed LVNV Funding trade line from my credit report after 6 months of battling them. Check your Equifax credit reports. Equifax admitted knowing this debt was fraudulent and despite that they still refused to remove it from my credit report for over 6 months. I can prove every word I say.

Original Review: I filed a dispute with Equifax on a company called Resurgent Capital Services AKA LVNV Funding LLC. In this dispute I asked for this debt that LVNV is claiming I owe them to be validated. This is a scam debt. This company creates false debts and submits them to Equifax to scam people into paying them. Equifax ruled in favor of LVNV and said this was a legitimate debt. I filed a complaint with the SC Attorney Generals office (Resurgent Capital corporate office is in Greenville SC) accusing LVNV of fraud. I submitted the documents in my complaint that Equifax and LVNV Funding LLC submitted in the resolution to my dispute that Equifax claimed validated this debt and ownership of debt by LVNV Funding LLC.

The SC Attorney General accepted my fraud complaint and said that the documents I provided in my complaint that Equifax supplied me with did not validate this debt and were fraudulent. Despite this Equifax swears that this debt is legitimate and refuses to remove LVNV Trade line from my credit report. Keep in mind the SC Attorney General's office ruled those same documents to be fraudulent yet Equifax says they validate this debt. Equifax is part of this fraud committed by LVNV Funding. Check your Equifax credit report for fraudulent or inaccurate information because Equifax will allow companies to report fraudulent debts on your credit report.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

A freeze was put on my credit and nobody knows why. I've been on hold now 40 minutes. They can never verify my identity. This place is no good. Had to call 4 different numbers to finally have a chance to talk to a real person. Even their site is horrible. Couldn't log in and couldn't verify my identity.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

No idea why it is so hard to investigate an identity theft dispute with all my valid government-issued documents. Transunion already solved everything but Equifax just cannot change any fake info on my account. I finally freeze it and rely only on Transunion, but the experience is so annoying. My friend has had no SSN issued ever, but Equifax assigns him a fake SSN to put a fake collection under his name and refuses to change any info. That is so annoying.

Original review: July 20, 2021

This is the worst of the worst credit bureau. It’s like they’re out to make your credit as bad as possible. I had paid off an account (that I didn’t even know I had because all the stupid bureaus bury all the negative stuff so you have to go around digging) over six months ago and this stupid Equifax people randomly recorded it as a severe delinquency. Meanwhile they didn’t make that information clear on the report but BURIED it deep in the closed accounts section. I then called to ask them to delete this account that’s 10 years old and they refused and asked me to call the lender. The customer service was terrible and was just repeating words like a robot. I can read all that on the website! I hate these bureaus with my whole heart. I hope the government folds all of them into one. Or destroy all of them altogether. What do we need 3 credit bureaus for? Useless people.

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor