2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.31/5

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I’m in the process of buying home and my lender has told me that in order to be approved for a mortgage with the best possible term, I should have any disputes removed from my credit files at all three credit bureaus and any consumer statements removed as well. To do this, I had to call and speak to customer support personally at Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. I called them all on Jan 31st. Both Experian and Transunion removed all of my open disputes and consumer statements while I was on the phone with them. Equifax, however, told me it could take up to 30 days to have them removed. Why does it take 30 days to remove the disputes that took me only 30 seconds to add back in 2018!

Fast forward to today, February 17th and nothing has been changed. I called them for the fourth the today and found out that the consumer dispute was never included into original call to remove disputes and consumer statement, so now I have to wait another 30 days for that and up to another 10 days for my original remove disputes request to be completed. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS REMOVED!!! My financing contingency is Monday!!! Help!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I've been having issues with Equifax for quite some time now. Among many other issues-- when something positive happens on my account, there's hardly ever a positive change to my score. The same information that is on Equifax is the same information I have on Transunion and Experian; yet, I'm always seeing it being reflected with a positive score change with each company except for Equifax. Equifax, is the only bureau that constantly take more than they give, from my experience. Just this past December there was a slight change (increase) in my utilization and it dropped my score on Equifax by 13 points!! 2 points on Transunion and 4 points on Experian. Now here come January-- my utilization decreased to 0% because I paid everything off, and wanted to give the system time to reflect the changes.

I also had an item removed in January which reflected on all 3 bureaus. The decrease in utilization gave me back my points I had lost in December with Transunion and Experian but not Equifax!!! The removed account had also bumped my score with Transunion and Experian but not with Equifax!!!! Frustrated at this point, I called Equifax, and they gave me the same run around every other reviewer is mentioning. They asked me these identity questions that honestly did not apply to me so they could not identify me. I was told to fax or mail identification along with a letter to get access to my report & score. I only wanted to know why that could possibly happen when there's positive information being updated on the account. They continued to tell me they could not identify me so they couldn't provide me with any information.

It honestly sounded extremely scripted-- as if I were talking to a darn robot, and as if these situations had always occurred. Now I see that there are thousands having these same exact issues primarily with Equifax. I just think it's super strange that both Transunion and Equifax uses the same scoring system; yet, the actual scores generated are extremely different. I am hoping to purchase a home before the year is out but I am really losing hope because of Equifax. Something is really off about this company or their system. This is by far the worse company I've ever had to deal with! I'd really like to sue the crap out of Equifax-- solely on the fact that I am also being denied certain cards because of their system not updating! They honestly need to really be looked into and put out of business the way they're destroying/hindering people's lives.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

So about 3 weeks ago I had 5 collections showing as open, all medical collections, on all 3 reports I paid those 5 collections off at that time to the original creditor. As of last week TransUnion and Experian have removed them all. Excellent, faster than I could imagine. Equifax, however, has not. I went through the dispute process which I can only do one at a time. Did not help. I have tried on several occasions to log in to their website. To only find it always tells me I can't log in at this time. Please call customer service.

Today I finally called customer service to be put on hold. I could hear their music then it went silence. I said hello a few times. Nothing happened. Said hello a few more times. Still nothing that I said, "You must be on mute because I can't hear you," and then it went to a customer service survey on how they did which I of course said did nothing because I talk to nobody. Call back again. Finally was able to talk to somebody. They told me with an open account when it's paid it'll stay there for 10 years and I did but that is incorrect because the other 2 agencies have already removed them from my reports and the response was, "That's not how we work here. We are different than the other 2."

So I ask what can I do to expedite this since they were open collections accounts that have been paid off and by law should be removed. They stated they are currently having a system outage and there's nothing they can do until their outage is over and that I can call back and ask the same questions at another date. Now I don't want to disparage any culture whatsoever. I am sure there are plenty of fine call centers overseas but when we are dealing with our credit that is a factor in our lives and how we live them and within the agency that has already been hacked before. Would it not make sense that these call centers be located in the homeland of the country that is calling them. To me it just seems it would be more secure if the call center for Equifax would be in the United States or at least in North America.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Exact same experience as reviewer: Paul of Crockett, CA. This Company should go out of business and we're fine with Transunion and Experian as our credit reporting agencies. First, Equifax got security breached and compromised millions of people's information and now they're unusable as a credit agency. And yet we consumers are required to use them to get credit. It's a big scam.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I am about to lose the opportunity to buy a house for the 2nd time because of this company. They have my last name incorrect and I have been disputing since July, sent documents by certified mail, uploaded them and since November I have disputed the same thing 5 times with same result. The bank can not get a credit report from them because of the name discrepancy. Also I have disputed my address several times and even with the documents they cant seem to get it correct.

Calling their customer service all out of US is a joke. They all say the same thing. Sound like robots and refuse to transfer calls to upper management. Playing with people's dreams is what they do. My last attempt was today. If it does not get fixed I will lose the opportunity once again to buy a house. All because how incompetent this company is. No matter what number I call I get the same employees in Philippines or India not sure and is not their fault but the company that has a mediocre way of serving their clients.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I usually do not take time to do reviews, but this interaction was so pathetic that it warrants a truthful review. I have a credit freeze across the board because my info was compromised in the 2017 Equifax data breach. I want to refinance a mortgage so needed to temporarily unfreeze the 3 large credit bureaus. Transunion and Experian were clear, straightforward and both successful online. Excellent job - just the way it should be.

Equifax on the other hand, was awful, unable to login online, then unable to utilize password help - both were "unable to process my request at this time", called the Equifax phone number, attempted the "automated" temporary lift of credit freeze - what a disaster that was, rather unclear questions and answer choices about "information contained in my credit report". I answered one of the questions incorrectly? Requested to speak to an agent. She was very pleasant but not too helpful. She informed me that my account was now locked because of the automated "help". She offered to walk me through the online login but subsequently informed me that the "online login" was also locked and I would not be able to use the 2 remaining login attempts.

Remaining options: mail documentation and a written request, which will be "processed in a timely manner" - 7 to 10 business days or fax for a processing time of 5 business days. I requested that our recorded conversation be forwarded to the company CEO. Read the other reviews. This company apparently has not improved operations one bit from the days of their avoidable data breach except perhaps to improve their CYA policies. It is infuriating that a profiteering company can collect and sell my data without my permission, then not protect that data from theft. On top of that, why do they remain in a position to then impede the business that I need to conduct.

Kudos to Transunion and Experian - 5 stars. I only gave Equifax a one star because a ZERO was not available. FYI - you cannot signup for Medicare or Social Security Retirement online if you have a credit freeze. You have to make an in person appointment to create an account. Thank you Equifax - the company that according to 2017 news stories, could have proactively avoided a massive data breach by simply installing the freely available Apache Web-server security patches. Google it, the former resigned CEO walked away with 70 million dollars. Good luck to everyone one of the 140 million data breached people that are forced to deal with Equifax.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

My Equifax credit report has been frozen since 2007. I went online to open an account that I could manage myself. It said they could not verify me. I then went to the phone. After answering usual question it went to a new set of questions. Do I have any monthly loan payments - answer - no. Next question, how much are monthly payments - answer - none of the above. Next question, who is loan with - answer - none of the above. Last question was about a mortgage - I don't have a mortgage.

Someone with a difficult to understand accent told me I would have to FAX verification info, SS card, driver's license. So I left my house, one of the few times during COVID, and faxed it. The customer 'service' agent told me I would get a response within 30 days BY MAIL. It is 2020, almost 2021. My mailbox is more available to hackers than my computer accounts!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

We are all busy. I have a few rental units I rent and need to contact Equifax for various reasons (ie. Check on an applicants credit worthiness). I have spent hours trying to reach a HUMAN or find a way to get to the information through their website but each number I call has an Auto attendant which directs me to another number, and another and then another. Equifax has more numbers than people it seems. This company makes it so difficult to reach anyone to make an enquiry of any kind. Why both using them at all? Why would I as a business owner even consider paying for their (lack of) service?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Equifax is THEE WORSE at updating credit reports. The Creditors are reporting every month to them. However, Equifax doesn't update MONTHLY like Experian and TransUnion. My last reporting from them was September and this is DECEMBER. Highly Disappointed. Wish I could join a class-action lawsuit against them. Worse credit bureau EVER!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I keep a freeze on my credit so no one can use it except me. I was buying an expensive item from a company that wanted me to open an account with them. Without my knowledge they called Equifax for my credit score which was frozen. I tried to contact Equifax to release the freeze temporarily, but their customer service is in the Philippines. I could not understand their "English" and asked to be transferred to USA. They refused twice. I told the company that I was buying from to use Transunion because they are easier to deal with. Unfortunately they had a contract with Equifax so the "buy" fell through. The seller was very unhappy and I had to start all over to find the same item elsewhere.

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor