3.7/5 (630 ratings)

About Equifax

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: June 23, 2022

This is the worst customer service I have been to. They want me to verify my identity over the phone and send a letter to prove that it was me. Their link is ALSO not working and they blame the client for this.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I called to cancel my subscription after it was obvious that they were not going to be able to help me solve an incorrect billing. I was offered to pay half price for the same service, told not to worry they were going to give me a free month, but had to specifically ask that it be canceled for the 4th time before he stopped reading the script and would confirm the cancelation. How can so many negative reviews still leave Equifax with a 3.7 approval rating? Can you spell P A R T N E R?

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Been fighting with Equifax for almost a year to fix incorrect information. Been nothing but issue after issue with them. Barely ever speak to someone that doesn't have broken English. They don't stop talking well reading off their computers until you get rude. Then if asked to speak to a supervisor they say there isn't one. Are you kidding me, this is a credit agency. I sent business letters requesting the information be corrected. I contacted said account and even they are unresponsive to my request. Finally I contacted Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and waiting to hear back.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Equifax has deleted my credit file. No history of anything other than name and address. No score. Nothing. They’ve done this in the middle of building a home. I’ve spoken to 75 people. They’ve outsourced all customer service to Asia. They have no idea what they’re doing or care. They read from a script. I explain my situation about my 30 years of information being removed and they state because I’ve never applied for credit. It’s like talking to a robot that missing the algorithm. They used to be the best of the 3 credit bureaus. Now they’re the worst of anything I’ve ever dealt with. For 10 years I worked in finance and credit repair. I’ve been out of that industry for a few years, since then everything has changed. No amount of money would be worth dealing with them again.

Original review: May 1, 2022

Only signed up because I was trying to buy a cell phone that required a credit check and they said that Equifax denied my credit - some sort of error came up. What?! I have amazing credit! Just for a cell phone? So I signed up and saw nothing out of the ordinary, except for a company that was listed as an open account that had been closed over a year ago. I decided I had to phone them to get some clarification, and they said that it was because they just hadn't updated the payments, so it was just a technical error on their part that made it look like my credit wasn't acceptable. WHAT?! So I was denied credit for a cell phone because of their error.

So I tried to cancel my account so I wouldn't be charged and they said, "Ma'am we advise that you keep it for now so that you can make sure that everything has gone through correctly." Seriously? So I kept it because I was already flustered. Then a month went by and during that time I tried to sign in 3 times online but couldn't get in. Tried phoning a couple times but being on hold isn't easy when you have limited time. By then, I was charged their monthly fee, so I phoned them again, this time staying on hold until I got through. (Customer Service Rep was very professional - this review is not a reflection on her at all, just on the company itself.) Turns out, my phone number wasn't even on file correctly so that was a hassle and a half. We finally got in after discussing details to prove my identity, explained the situation, and she was able to cancel the account and credit me half of the monthly charge, so there is some satisfaction in that.

Original review: April 23, 2022

I've subscribed to Equifax and TransUnion for several years now. I figure it's the best way to keep track of my credit score and security. Equifax has repeatedly locked me out of my account, uses tracking on its website that are so onerous that it locks out ANY browser or personal computer that is not completely unsecured. I will not turn off my firewall, anti-virus just to use this service. It's absurd. This service that claims to have my security in mind, demands that I turn it all off, just to use the service. How does this make sense? They refuse to reimburse me for the several months they've locked me out and can't seem to figure out why or how it's happening.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Equifax complete was purchased which includes a secondary family member to also join. From day one they were not able to use the product, even after multiple phone calls. Then Equifax updated their online website and I was then not able to log in, getting a message that my information was not correct. Multiple phone calls later there was no solution for me. I’ve finally cancelled after wasting a few hundred dollars and my time.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Their customer service agents are so incompetent and have no idea of what they are doing, they will place you on a long hold. Keep telling you to call back. You will keep calling back for a year and all they do is escalate with no resolution! I am very disappointed with Equifax Canada, it’s unfortunate that they don't care about anything but to charge you. Very useless company!

Original review: April 7, 2022

I am not putting down the person just doing their job at all, they were very respectful. The company however is ridiculous. It took about 3 minutes to make an Equifax account. To cancel it however took more than an hour, requiring way more info than I needed to make the account, which is a shamelessly obvious attempt at making more money by making it hard to cancel your subscription.

I originally needed something called a "Cardinal Number" for my property which I have never heard of. I had to ask for a supervisor and then I was put on hold for about 10 minutes, after which I was told the supervisor is busy on a call but we can cancel your subscription with just a bit more info. Needed the credit limit of my credit card and line of credit to cancel. Makes no sense considering all I needed to make the account was my name, date of birth, email and SIN but whatever. Finally got it done, but after this experience, never going back to Equifax. Use Credit Karma. They are free and give the same information.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I had a collection and disputed it on all the credit companies. They all deleted after dispute and Equifax result was item deleted but I still see it. It's not accurate info and equifax still holds it as unpaid. It just hurts my credit and I wanna rent a house. This really suck!

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor