Equifax

95%

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

2,103people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Equifax:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

There's no way my credit score is this low. I'm rated 100 points lower than Experian and TransUnion. I never carry a credit card debt. My only debt is a mortgage. I'm RARELY late on any payments, most are automatic deduction. I don't get it.

Paid 7.95 for my score and still have not received it. They deducted it from my checking account on 8-5-16. I finally received my report but had to call them back after more than a month waiting. When I called to let them know that I got the report and to ask about my score, they said that it was sent to me on 8-5-16. The same day they deducted 7.95 from my account... They said "sorry nothing further can be done because we sent it already." Scam!!

Since July 11, I have contacted Equifax by certified mail 4 times to request that fraudulent information be removed for a client who was the subject of identity theft. Experian, Innovis and Trans-Union responded fully and immediately. Equifax has yet to take any corrective action, and it has now heard not only from me, but also from the 9 affected credit issuers. Equifax is not responsive and deems itself unaccountable.

Can anyone help? I have spoken with many customer service reps and always get a different response. I have asked to have a alert removed from my file. Sent them documentation 3 times. No one will help. Reps repeat themselves and talk over you. Supervisor was supposed to call back 3 days in a row. No call. So frustrating, can't get a loan without removing this alert because of changing my phone number.

I have found out my credit rating has fallen to a level where I can't get a loan or credit card. I have no mortgage, no loans, no credit cards and it seems a fall out with virgin media over a bill for £100. Virgin with no warning they have the power to place you as a bad debt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

I was checking my credit in connection with a new rental, tried Equifax quick review, but never signed up for their "Complete" plan. Of course the fine print opts me in, so I try to cancel, and they won't do it... literally like a maze of emails and phone calls. Kafkaesque. I have red flagged them at all my banking institutions. They have even asked me to email them a scan of my driver's license. Wow! Imagine where this info is going. They continue to charge me and I continue to dispute it. I am in the process of looking into legal action, and making the appropriate authorities aware. STAY AWAY!

First off whenever I call I always seem to be connected to India somewhere. They never know what I am talking about or is always trying to sell me something. I disputed a account on my Equifax report. The account was deleted and then added right back which dropped my score 6 points. No one is able to explain to me anything about my report. All they keep doing is trying to sell me products. To my knowledge according to section 611 (a)(5)(b) if the information was deleted as a result of a prior dispute the furniture did not the required certifications to the CRA or the CRA does not provide you notice of reinstate and this is a violation. I was told to dispute. I truly believe that no one there really knows anything about the services. Their only goal is to sell products.

I filed a dispute for a bill that claiming owe for 3 month plus additional fees. I only had satellite tv for my place. It was not behind. I canceled it and returned the equipment. Soon as I called and canceled service I disconnected all of the cables to my wall and TV put the stuff in a box. They deliberately took months to send me the equipment box, so they could charge me the 471.00 for service for less than 60 to 70 days that I didn't receive. They tried to double my cost for basic satellite, no movie channels just basic channels. Cartoons, and TNT, USA. I think that was the only channels I used. They want to bill me for services I didn't continue. It not going to be left in this. They have falsifying my reports had several installments on my report I had only 1 active loan. Never had 2 or 3. Not appreciate the damages they do to people life. I'm not going to give up.

I've got 6 people who were there the day I yelled at DirecTV for raising basic satellite to over 80.00. I demanded it be canceled and to ship a equipment return box. They took months to send the box. I sent everything with their protection stuffed box... I'll file a claim for damages to my score like i'm doing for the false debt that some identity theft took in my name. I've not received any type of credit except my loan and my Fingerhut vacuum. These people, don't realize that they have our history in their hands and they never take a consumer word. They say I had over 471, that's more than 3 month about 4 or more. I had different service hooked up the very next day. Now how could have had their service hooked up with a whole different company hooked the very next day? I hate liars.

Cancellation is next to impossible for busy families. I am SO aggravated after speaking to customer service! They won't let me cancel my husband's account. He doesn't have time to call so now what? We're stuck paying the $20/month until he gets time to call in??? NOT FAIR! Just cancel the damn account already! UGH customer service was so rude!

My family decided to try to get a home loan recently so my son and I both checked our credit scores. No major problems with Experian and Transunion but when we got to Equifax we both had the same bogus listing for a mortgage loan and a student loan that neither of us has. When we tried to dispute it online we kept getting turned away after being told we were giving false information. How are we to ever get anywhere if this company is allowed to lie about what's in our files. We struggle by as it is without having to deal with these problems.

Strongly believe Equifax is not fair reporting accurate credit info. Derogatory marks and old debit that can't be verified was removed from Transunion straight away. A month or so later from Experian... However Equifax never removed a single entry. Equifax is reporting my home mortgage as an Installment loan. Disputed all inaccuracy and nothing has been done. Hired ecreditattorney.com and GreenPath to pay off all outstanding debit. Almost a year of credit repair and I can't buy a piece of bubble gum on credit unless I am willing to pay 30%+ interest! Have no other choice but to report how unfair reporting can be... Attached shows how far of Equifax is on removing disputed items! Totally off...

Been trying to reach Equifax to resolve a denial letter based on their report. Impossible to reach. A Mickey Mouse answering dummy will not let you get a real person. I have written to these ** and faxed the requested information to no avail. They suck!!!

Equifax is a pain to deal with. I've spent $50 in certified letters to dispute incorrect and items that don't belong on the report. They do not investigate anything. They marked something as satisfied that isn't and should be deleted. Customer service sucks and God forbid you ever have a freeze on your report it takes months for them to give you access to your own report. This is not a company that should be relied on when you go to get a loan.

I have a security freeze on all 3 of my credit reporting accounts. Arizona law provides that it costs $5 to lift the freeze each time, and last month I choose to do this in order to obtain information for a new mortgage. I had no problems with the other 2 agencies, but Equifax insisted I have a suffix as part of my name, which I do not. I sent them a copy of the original paperwork, which includes my name, address, social and PIN and they still said it's not me. I sent them a copy of my original social security card, and they finally agreed to lift the freeze, but it was too late because the other 2 companies had already put theirs back! So I'm out $15.

After 2 more letters, they returned the $5 I had paid them but I believe they still owe me $10 because their neglect had made the information from the other agencies inaccessible. I wish there were options available to us other than Equifax. They are horrible to work with. There is no access to a real person. And they don't believe you, anyway. If someone else submits erroneous information about you, you are stuck with us.

Ridiculous experience with trying to obtain my PIN for my credit freeze. I sent them every bit of information asked for. Yes, this is everything someone needs to hijack your identity. Instead of getting the PIN, they sent me a form letter stating that because I didn't include the PIN, they couldn't send it to me. When will society demand that these companies stop having access to our SSN? That is the one thing needed to hack your identity and every time you contact a credit agency, they ask for your SSN.

I contacted Equifax about removing a temporary freeze and they still haven't done it. Also they gave me a confirmation number but when I call to check on it the system telling me it can't find my information. I don't think it is right for them to do whatever they want with your information if you told them what you wanted them to do.

I'm a victim of identity theft so I constantly get inquiries on my credit report of someone trying to open accounts using my information. Since I have credit monitoring, I'm instantly alerted when this happens, and I automatically log into the CRA's website and start a dispute, and if they provide the phone number for the credit grantor, I immediately call to advise them it's fraud and to close the application, start an investigation and send a letter to the CRAs to have the inquiry removed. (I already have a 7-year fraud alert on my report so the application never gets completed nor an account actually opened). I have 6 fraudulent inquiries on my Equifax report, dating back to Dec of 2015, which I've disputed using their online dispute option.

I have also sent them physical letters to dispute these inquiries. I have verified with the credit grantors that they sent notice to Equifax to have these fraudulent inquiries removed. I personally called and faxed the same notices the credit grantors sent me advising me they requested these to be removed, to Equifax, but Equifax just refuses to remove them. They are stating that these inquiries are "factual record of file" despite them being fraudulent. I have been working with Experian and they have ALWAYS been very responsive with removing these and making sure I'm taken care of, while Equifax makes me feel like a victim all over again, as they are refuse to do their job.

When I call them they tell me to contact the credit grantors to have them send notice to remove these, which I have already done, and I have letters from all 6 saying they sent the request to have these removed to Equifax, Equifax just doesn't want to remove them for some reason. I have now reached out to their corporate office and if I am not able to get this resolved, I will be seeking an attorney.

Couldn't not get anyone on the phone that could help me, not even the supervisor. They were more than happy to talk about selling me their services but not about helping me with if I had a credit freeze or not.

I have just checked my Equifax data via Clear Score (no wonder it's free!) and horrified to find that the information Equifax contain is woefully incomplete and inaccurate. Firstly they have my date of birth wrong. How on earth can a credit reference agency have the incorrect date of birth? Next they have an association with whom I haven't been "associated" with for over 8 years. Thirdly my biggest financial commitment my mortgage is not recorded anywhere on their records and I am recorded as "no mortgage".

Comically my monthly phone and broadband bill (paid diligently for over 20 years by direct debit) is deemed a "Negative" because it is considered "high" by them. I agree my phone and broadband is a rip-off but it also happens to be the cheapest deal in the marketplace which is why I stuck with my provider for so long constantly haggling down their price. Surely a monthly commitment paid in full each and every time for 20 years without a second's delay or lateness should be a positive (especially for someone mortgage free apparently!).

How can an organisation so incompetent be deemed a "Reference Agency" is beyond belief. A Mortgage not mentioned and a Date of Birth wrong is just plain staggering. Any organisation that pays this company for information may just as well throw it down the drain if they are basing loans and other credit applications on their data. I have also checked my Experian Credit Report (no I don't work for them nor am I remotely connected to them in any way shape or form) and it is meticulously detailed and deadly accurate. There is no excuse for one reference agency to have accurate up to date information and the other so hopelessly wrong.

Problem is if I was a customer I could shop elsewhere but I can't in this case. I am a captive and held hostage to their lazy incompetence. The irony is that despite these inaccuracies I still have a fairly high credit rating with them so lord help someone who is struggling. There again if my date of birth is wrong I couldn't possibly be who they say I am so that poses another security risk in how they can connect information from different lenders and agencies when the date of birth doesn't match. Seriously scary and scandalous!

Literally all the same things everyone else is saying, how in the hell is it 2016 and a company can be this blatantly corrupt and irresponsible getting the same non-sensical questions pertaining to none of my history. I had a hospital bill from 3 years ago pop up not once but TWICE on Equifax, A DOUBLE ** CHARGE

and they reported to transunion too just in case. It's companies like this that make me want to riot. Anyone else know what I can do hold them accountable?

I would not recommend Equifax to anyone. I took a 7-day trial out for this product. Within 4 days, I realized that I would not be needing this service. I called one of the toll-free numbers to cancel. I talked to a representative who took all my information and assured me he would cancel the membership. After 8 days, I notice a charge on my account for $19.95. When I call again, one number shows no record of my call and another number shows no record of my having this service. I would advise anyone who wishes to cancel this service to get any and all information you possibly can and do not trust any of these employees to do as they say they will. Also, keep checking to make sure this is canceled and make as many calls as needed to get this taken care of. Better yet, don't be as naive as me. Don't take this service out to begin with.

As others have stated they are completely flawed when it comes to reporting your credit. They report my score a full 35 points below the other agencies. When I try to do direct dispute they have erroneous information and then state that the information doesn't match and to fax in your dispute. What a joke. I've done that before and incorrect items that were removed from Transunion still stay on Equifax as being "accurate and owned" by the consumer.

I contacted Equifax to find out how come I could not dispute an inaccuracy to my credit report. The online site asked about a recent car loan, which I do not have, also about a credit card, which I also do not have. So answering the questions 'none of the above' it then stated to contact Equifax directly. I did, which took forever to even find a number to call. The person on the other end asked me the same questions and then told me I was not who I said I was. Excuse me??? He then asked me for previous addresses, which I gave him, and still "This doesn' match the information that we have on file."

He then stated to fax them Birth Certificate, Copy of Driver's License, Copy of S.S card. Copy of Marriage Certificate to prove my name change from my maiden name. Really??? This company, out of the 3 major reporting agencies is the only one that is showing anything. And then they tell you that you are not who you are. I'm going to file a complaint with the attorney general's office. Have had enough of the runaround from this company.

People at all of the credit reporting agencies are a bunch bull... You sit at your desks playing GOD with people's lives. If you don't want to work you ** can the paperwork that comes across your desk. I have credit cards and I never miss a payment, I have a car loan and I never miss a payment, I have a mortgage and I never miss a payment, I pay all my bills on time and most I pay early, yet you say my credit score is poor and TransUnion says it is very low. I purchased a new car in Feb. 2016 with Capital One with no problems, but because the dealer and I both checked my credit score my credit went down. I have tried to lower my mortgage by refinancing my loan but even though I am a Vietnam vet. I get told that no one will talk to me because of my credit. I fought and almost died for people that make the big money while they sit on their **, and tell me I have poor or very poor credit. Like I have said this IS...TOTAL **.

Equifax gives me a poor rating because of short credit history. I am 66 years old. I have bought houses, cars, motorcycles, jewelry and tools on credit. Their failure to do their job is pathetic! TransUnion, not much better. As all jobs move to India and the Philippines, or Mexico, it will get worse.

Once again, I have gone onto Equifax to obtain my routinely disappointing report at the sum of £14.95. Once again, I received a report that a) does not reflect the present position of my credit status, to the extent that it is woefully inaccurate and b) further arbitrary deductions have been made against my profile. I no longer am prepared to accept that Equifax are a third party and rely on lenders providing information, when Experian provide a brilliant service and update their consumer reports on a daily basis.

I am no longer prepared to accept, that Equifax are allowed to have access to my information to inaccurately and arbitrarily provide incorrect reports to possible creditors. I quote "Ma'am, we can only provide the information provided by your existing Lenders." No, you provide to future/possible creditors access to a profile generated by algorithms which gives you the power to inform any Lender of my "associated risk". I am currently deemed "poor" by Equifax standards, due to the following:

1. Electoral register - I haven't been at my present address for over 2 years (We had to relocate because my husband has a brain tumor) I asked to contest this as an arbitrarily detrimental point and was given point of contact nor resolution.

2. 98% utilisation of available credit - WOEFULLY outdated - it is in actual fact only 47.234% and has been as such for nearly a full calendar month.

Because of Equifax's continual inability to update information, my credit limits are constantly reviewed and changed, despite over 3 years of overpayments on time and without deduction and the aforementioned recommended credit utilisation percentage.

The irony of life - you need credit to get credit, and you must use your credit - but not all of it, because inactive credit is bad. So please have fun guessing just how much and what we would like, so we can colour code you and stick a rated number on your profile... I have therefore formally revoked consent whether expressly or by way of implication for Equifax to have any access to my credit information. I am supposedly being contacted within 24-48 hours via email so I can have written determination of the same. As a consumer, I have rights. Your services were not engaged with by myself, no consent was provided by myself for you to have access to the same. I have only agree to let future/possible creditors utilise your services provided when seeking credit arrangements, but not to the original formation of a credit profile. As such, I will from this point on determine whom creditors may use to review my credit profile, to be clear, this will be Experian.

Recently placed a fraud alert at the Credit Reporting Agencies. Received a two-page confirmation letter but no credit report from Equifax. Searched everywhere for a live customer service number to call. Finally reached someone, it seems, at an off-shore customer service site. The number on the two-page confirmation letter was not the number to bring up my report. The agent then wanted my personal information to retrieve it. Did not feel comfortable!!! I just placed a fraud alert on my account and Equifax wants me to speak with a foreigner in a foreign country! Is it any wonder identity theft is on the increase? Can't we get American customer service agents? Does anyone have a number?

Been trying to dispute through Credit Karma. But gives me choices of items that mean nothing to me. Instead directed me to fax personal information. Clearly it's been reported that the wrong information is being reported by the same collection agency. Only the dates are different but Equifax wants to report a collection of almost 12,000 when it's half that and is the same collection agency. Only difference is one is October 2010 and the newly created one says December 2010. Come on. Funny how impossible you make it to dispute this? My friends tried disputing items on Equifax, also not allowed. Must be some kind of scam between them and the collection agency.

It is nearly impossible to lift a credit freeze with Equifax! Obviously, they either change consumer's PINs without notifying them or just do not keep good records. This is really sad considering how much of my personal information that have without my consent!! I do not think that they should have access to my personal information and be so inept at providing customer service!!

I have experienced the same issue as other reviewers in that I needed to correct the spelling of my name that was evidently misreported by a creditor. Equifax elected to "update" the spelling of my name and override all legal references in their system. It took me several hours to resolve the issue. When I was advised via email that the spelling of my name had been resolved, I discovered that the email was addressed to my misspelled name. The employees are incomprehensibly incompetent, and the processes ludicrous. The onus for reparation of inaccurately reported information should not fall on the consumer. It was unfathomable that I should then have to provide personal documents to them prove I am who I have always been. I'm disgusted that this company has access to all my personal information and credit, and the ability to enforce their own rulings as they see fit. It's asinine.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.
  • Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.
  • Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.
  • Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.
  • Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.
  • Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Compare Credit Report Sites