1.01/5
Based on 98 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Equifax

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

984 Equifax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I had my credit severely lowered because Equifax and TransUnion both gave a bogus credit report to my card company. My brother is on disability and has had problems paying some bills, they used his address and bills on my credit report. I have informed them of the fact and showed our addresses are different but they still refuse to change my credit report. Very sloppy investigating by them when bills come to different names except the last and addresses.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I use Credit Karma to monitor my credit. I had 2 derogatory marks. The first was for a medical bill which I verified was paid in 2014, and never came off of my credit report. I spoke with the collection agency who initiated the collection, they verified the bill had been paid since 2014, and that it should have come off of my credit report a long time ago. The other one was from an electric company for an electricity bill on a rental house. I was unaware I had an outstanding bill with the electric company, as the bill was going to my rental house.

As soon as I realized I owed this bill, I called and paid it, and the company verified that the derogatory mark was flagged for deletion. I spoke with an agent at Equifax who was very difficult to understand, and was told that they would not remove the derogatory marks, though they had both been paid. The collection agencies I spoke with assured me that the derogatory marks would be deleted. They are telling me it is Equifax's fault, and Equifax is telling me that the fault lies with the collection agencies. I am extremely frustrated and very dissatisfied with the response I received from Equifax.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

After news broke about the Equifax breach, I went about freezing my credit with all three major credit reporting agencies, including Equifax. I did so using the online portal where I gave them all the usual information. In return, I was given a PIN to be used to lift the freeze at a later date. Well, now it's that later date. I tried using the online portal per instructions, but it stated that my request could not be processed then provided steps to mail my request. They want me to put my sensitive information as well as copies of my ID, another form of identification (such as a bill), and PIN to verify that it is me. That's all fine and dandy, but I'm not exactly confident in sending this physically to them through the mail. So I tried calling them directly. The number given would only begin a freeze or issue a credit report, despite stating that I could request a lift.

Eventually, I found another number that allowed me to talk to actual people. The person I spoke to did not provide me with a name, employee ID, or any other means to reference him or the call. He also had such a thick accent that I didn't understand half of what he was asking of me. Now, I am not usually a person to get upset over such a thing, because I can't criticize someone's grasp of a second language when I only speak one; but when it comes to a job that requires communication via the phone, I really do believe that people should be chosen based on how clearly they speak. That's not the employee's fault, that is the business's.

It was obvious that the employee was frustrated with me when I kept making him repeat himself - not his fault, but, then again, it's not mine, either. I gave him the PIN that was issued to me multiple times. Despite giving that, though, I also had to provide the following: The name of any creditors I had active accounts with AND the balance of those accounts, all the debts I owed AND the balance of those, and also the date I first started the freeze. I understand that this is all meant to verify who I am and protect my credit, but that is the point of the PIN! It was beyond frustrating because I had to access this information right then and there (thank goodness I use a service that aggregates all this for me in an easy to use format that is readily available).

Unfortunately, by the end of the process my request to lift the freeze was denied because I could not recall the date that it was started. I could verify my lines of credit and debt, but not the date that I signed up. I wasn't given an e-mail with this information, nor were there instructions to record the specific day for future use, and I didn't imagine it'd be - that - important. (Silly me.) Had I know all this I would have had the information recorded and prepared. Instead I was left scrambling with this person on the phone steadily getting more and more aggravated with me. Afterwards, I demanded to know if there were alternative methods of unfreezing my credit. He couldn't tell me anything, didn't even mention that it could be mailed, and was generally unhelpful.

I asked to speak to a supervisor to at least see if THEY could give me more information, but he told me that they would ask the same questions and that nothing else could be done. Again, I know that this is meant to protect my information, but they have made the process at all user friendly, and I feel like my credit is being held hostage by an irresponsible company that can't be trusted to protect that information in the first place. This has delayed mine and my husband's to move forward with a small loan to complete a renovation so I can sell our house. My only alternative is to risk sending my personal information through the mail and hope that 1) it isn't stolen and 2) hope that Equifax actually performs the lift. Needless to say, I'm not at all confident that they will bother.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Not only did the breach happen, but when I attempted to enroll in the free monitoring promised, since my record was breached, the process of signing up has been dreadful and frustrating, as well as impossible. The final step, after receiving my email confirming that I'd signed up, asked me to enter my birthdate. Upon doing so, the message I received was "system unavailable". This happened many times through the day. Finally, I engaged an agent, "Robin **" who confirmed that I AM enrolled. Record of the chat: **. On Feb 1, I spoke with another agent, "Eternity" (**) who had me spell my name slowly FOUR times and eventually told me that I could not have the service. I asked to be "escalated" and she said I'll be contacted by the escalation team in 3 to 6 days. We'll see. Absolutely dreadful performance on every count.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I just got off the phone with a Customer Service person who would not tell me what City she is in. Basically, I cannot get back to her for any reason. Her ID would also not allow that. I spoke to a supervisor who told me the same thing. Yet, she asked for my Social Security number, address and DOB!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Negative accounts have long timed off my Experian and TransUnion Credit Report. Equifax continues to report them no matter how many times I have disputed them. My husband had the same problem but when he calls Equifax to complain he cannot understand their representatives as they have very thick accents and he is hard of hearing. They refuse to let me talk on his behalf unless I provide them with Power of Attorney. The other agencies allow me to without any problem. Right now both our reports are clean except for Equifax which continues to report outdated debts that they are no longer supposed to report. Our scores on Equifax are 80 points lower than the other agencies.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My information was compromised due to the Equifax negligence. I contacted Equifax about this information. Equifax has granted the TrustedID program and waiving the freeze fee by Equifax. However, there are other agencies where my information is at risk due to what Equifax has done. I have to put a freeze on my account with those agencies as well. Those freezes cost money. Equifax should cover the fees of putting these freezes on my account with other agencies because without the negligence from Equifax I would not have to put these freezes on my account.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Okay August 2nd Equifax contacted Mandiant, a professional cyber security firm to help the company assess what data has been compromised. With help from Mandiant, Equifax was able to determine a series of breaches had occurred from May 13th through July 30th. Tell me why I get a letter from AT&T December 14th just a few days ago and not Equifax.

I have no service with AT&T. I never had service with AT&T but I received the letter from AT&T with my name on it stating that I am possibly a victim of Equifax data breach, confused I do what the letter asks. I put in my info on the website. I get information back stating that I am victim of the data breach that my information was exposed. I tried to sign up for this stupid free service for 30 days or whatever but the website wasn't allowing me to. Kept giving me an error so I call Equifax phone number I tell him what AT&T sent me.

I inform him that I don't really understand what's going on and if he can please explain it to me to help me understand better what a data breach is and what information of mine was exposed, he was so rude. The first words that came out of his mouth was so rude, he said "you don't know what a data breach is?" "That's why they have Google." "Why don't you search it. Maybe you should." "Maybe you should try to get informed about what's going on with your information." I told him I am. That's why I'm calling Equifax because Equifax should know! Then I told him, "Thank you for nothing," and hung up.

If you don't know how to treat someone then you shouldn't be working with customer service and Equifax is so not a responsible company obviously. Look how long it took for me to receive info about what happened to my info. And on top of it all Equifax wasn't even the one who informed me!! It was great old AT&T and it wasn't even their responsibility.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Equifax does nothing. When you call you get someone who can not speak good English. They never do their job and take paid debts off of credit report. I have seen letters and receipts. I have called and nothing works. I will be now getting a lawyer. I am done with this place.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Equifax reports soft inquiries as hard inquiries such as Apartment Renter's credit checks, opening a new internet account etc. Transunion and Experian count these as soft inquiries. Equifax also has no data validation process for reporting medical delinquencies. My Equifax credit file shows a medical delinquency for a hospital I never visited and dates of service during which I was on extended visit out of state (Other friends have had similar issues with Equifax only). What a joke. Not to mention their data breach. Undermines all credit reporting this country. Shut them down.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

A Negative mark appeared in my credit report. TransUnion removed the mark within 24 hours and Experian removed it within 5 days. Equifax however has taken their sweet time (3 weeks and counting). By law, credit bureaus need to add/remove information depending on other credit reports. Equifax has refused to remove the mark even after the collection agency withdrew their collection and Comcast has already stated I owe nothing. Equifax is absolute garbage and after the data breach I can't believe this bureau is still allowed to exist. I saw the TransUnion reviews on this site. Some of you have no idea. TransUnion is heaven compared to Equifax. I hope none of you ever have to deal with the garbage that Equifax can offer you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Contacting Equifax either online or by phone was a painful experience. I attempted to put a temporary lift my freeze & was unable to do so online so I tried via their CS phone number. After listening to endless babble I finally reached an operator who's native language wasn't American English & was difficult to understand. My greatest frustration here was the website experience, my second was finding the phone number & then having to listen to unnecessary babble rather than being able to go directly to a CS rep!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

So like others on here I thought I would do the credit freeze because I did not want my identity stolen. I went on right after they started doing it entered all of my info and kept getting the error so I just said forget it. Fast forward 2 months and I ACTUALLY want to get a credit card. I have been going back and forth between Equifax and my bank and I never DID get it unlocked. They claimed I needed a pin to unlock it online but because it never went through I never got confirmation of the freeze NOR this elusive pin. Now my bank can't get in and after I tried to unlock it just for them and finally just took the freeze off altogether. The bank says it is still frozen and Equifax said it is on my bank's end and the bank says it is on Equifax's end.

Needless to say I have excellent credit and can't even use my OWN credit because they have locked me out. Thank god I am not trying to buy a car or home. I don't know how I will EVER get it unfrozen because I have done EVERYTHING they have said to do and it is NOT working. I am furious. And the most ridiculous part is we as consumers have NO choice. It is not like we CHOSE to have these jerks have our info. I am livid and there is NOTHING I can do because Equifax is incompetent and the bank isn't helping much either. Equifax said to have them call their business number and they said they can't which I don't believe either. As much as I wanted this rewards card it is probably for the best because I honestly have had issues with this bank in the past. Such BS!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

When this data breach was first reported, Equifax set up a website that one could enter SSN and find out if your data had been comprised. I did this for both my SSN and my wife's. The response was that our information had not been breached. Yesterday, I received a notice from Equifax, dated Oct 13,2017, that I am one of the 2.5 million additional potentially impacted U.S. consumers that has personal information was potentially exposed. Which notification should I believe? This company has totally mishandled this entire affair, and should be held accountable for this outrage, and the entire industry should be regulated in the future!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I called this company for assistance with problems submitting disputes online using their website. I was surprised to discover the customer service rep I was connected to was based in an outsourced call center in the Philippines. The rep went as far as to ask me for my full social security number. If Equifax claims to be doing its best to protect our information, why are they outsourcing to a non-US call center? Also, I was informed that Equifax does not provide technical support for website issues.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Today, I've had the worst experience with Equifax. They shouldn't handle credit issues because they can't seem to get PROFESSIONAL customer representatives. I spoke with someone in the "Mix Up" department. I don't know if it was a man or women but they were extremely rude. Agent: Your address? Me: Gives street address (forgetting that the company isn't located in my state). Agent yells, "Ugh I'm still waiting on the address!" They need to learn how to be more sensitive when it comes to their clients. Also, waited 30 mins to speak to a rep. They are just AWFUL. Please avoid them if possible. They can ruin your day.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I am apparently one of the people whose ID MAY HAVE BEEN HACKED. First, I went to Freecreditreports.com to obtain my reports to see if there was any unauthorized or illegal activity. TransUnion and Experian reports were fine. Equifax would not provide me with one. Today I tried to enroll/activate the trusted premier account to freeze/monitor my credit. Put in all required information in the website but when I got to the last page (setting up a password) - a message popped up telling me there was an enrollment error and I could not enroll and providing a customer service number to call to activate.

The site would not let me try to enter info again - Just kept returning to the error page. So, I called the number - they wanted my complete SS# - which I will not provide over the phone. They got very rude and told me they were hanging up on me and if I called back, they would hang up again. Something has to be done about the attitude of this company. Judging by the hundreds of previous complaints and complete lack of response from Equifax - no one is in any hurry to fix this snafu. I will continue on the quest for a solution. I could sure use some help from consumer advocates, etc.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I called Equifax Canada for cancellation. These guys work over there don't know how to talk with customers. They talk so aggressive and they can even hit customer if they can come out from phone receiver. They don't know what customer service is. Rather than suggest customer in their issues they suggest you need water, you are hungry. Even though if customer ask about number to complain they don't provide you right information and numbers. When you call on those no they exist mean like they teach them to lie. I am really unsatisfied with the service and customer service of Equifax. 0 out 5 because when we sign in they have really great customer service but on other issues and in cancellation they have world worst customer service at all I experience in my life.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

When my mortgage company tried to pull my report, came up with an error. 7 hours on the phone, 5 straight days on the phone, I get a man by the name of Kale in the consumer affairs department. On the phone he tells me they will get it fix, a few hours he calls me back said it was fixed. They tried to run, it still an error. After calling back they asked me to send a SSA-89 form to verify my social security number, my driver’s license, social security card and a utility bill.

Today they told me I have been assigned to this consumer affairs department and any time I need to have my credit report run I will need to call them and they would have to ok the credit pull. I am not allowed any online monitoring or internet access to my report. I then ask why they wouldn’t give me a reason, I asked for how long it would be like this, was told indefinitely with no regard to the inconvenience this will cause. Has this happen to anyone else or how do I get it back to normal and an explanation?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I enrolled in the security breach free TrustedID program which was step 1. I finally received my email with the confirmation and login pin to get through step 2 - except it doesn't work. Every time I tried, over several days, I could never get past entering my birth date. After I entered that to go to the next step/screen, it gave me an error message and then finally started telling me to call customer service at the 877 number. When I finally got frustrated with trying and called, I got a recording that said something about 'all operators were busy and to try calling back in 30 minutes.' I made that call three times. I'm seriously thinking I will never get this completed, and from looking at the number of complaints - and I'm sure there are more - they really need to come up with a solution that works for everyone! I am certainly not happy with this experience!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

This company should be closed down immediately! I was on the phone for over 30 minutes getting the run around trying to figure out what the "suspicious" activity was. I still haven't got an answer and I suppose I'll try again today. The only answer I could get from anyone including the supervisor was "I'm sorry". What do we all expect from a company who Chief Security Officer had a MUSIC major and Masters in MUSIC. What the**??? Something needs to be done... we don't need three bureaus anyhow.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Following the Equifax data breach I placed a freeze on my credit reports with all three credit agencies. Now, a month later, I need to temporarily lift the freeze and let my lender access my credit report to complete a loan on the house that I'm purchasing. I've been trying to contact Equifax online and over the phone for three hours to lift the freeze and haven't been able to have my request fulfilled. They don't have access to customer service at all! All their phone numbers refer to automated systems which also don't work and offer you to send requests via mail!

One customer service representative whom I got on the so called 'dedicated call center' line at 866-447-7559 was very rude and unprofessional and refused to help me or to refer me to a person who would be able to help. He also denied my request to speak to a supervisor and simply hang up on me! I have never had to deal with so unhelpful and unprofessional business. Equifax should be especially attentive to its customers now after the data breach, but it seems that the company doesn't care about its reputation at all. After three hours of unsuccessful attempts to resolve an issue that shouldn't have taken longer than a few minutes, I feel totally helpless and lost.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I spent 1 hour on the phone calling 6 different numbers and each representative told me it was not the correct number to call - ** (dispute # only M-F). Round and round it went with no success. I spoke with several supervisors who were unable to cancel the account. This is unacceptable and seems like a ploy of some sort to get folks to keep their trust ID accounts. I want out!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

On 9/28/17 I was able to activate my account after finally receiving my activation letter. I placed a credit freeze on our accounts 2 weeks ago for both my wife and myself. This cost a total of $40 in fees for Experian and TransUnion. When I tried to activate my wife's account today with Equifax I was unable to do so. Currently I cannot access my account with Equifax and was unable to activate my wife's account. I was told I would have to lift the freeze on Experian and TransUnion to get enrollment which would cost me another $40 in fees. (Equifax freeze changes are currently free). I want to be enrolled in TrustedID for both of us and then freeze my credit reports but the move would cost yet another $40 in fees to freeze after enrollment in TrustedID. Seems like a lot of expense for someone having nothing to do with creating this mess.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

A week ago I called Equifax to place a security freeze on my credit report. I have not received PIN in the mail yet. So, yesterday from 3 pm to 5:30 pm I had to call Equifax 4 times to get the freeze lifted temporarily. Each time I was given a confirmation # and told to wait 10-15 minutes. Each time I called back, I was asked for a confirmation # and was told there was not any evidence a request for the lift was requested. Of course I spoke to a foreigner each time so on the last call I requested to speak to a Supervisor.

I was asked why and I explained that none of the cust service representatives were helping me. After another 10 min hold, a so-called Supervisor went thru the same steps as the others. Well needless to say, she did nothing. The freeze is still on my report, and no one works on the weekend at Equifax. Equifax should be fined big time and their people need more training. It's plain ridiculous that we have to ask for their help, when they created the problem in the first place.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

After the Equifax breach, I followed the registration for the free monitoring TrustedID Premier. I waited for the email several weeks and received today. When I tried to activate, it said my birthdate was incorrect. I called the number for help in the email. The person said I wasn't in the system, either by email, phone, name, nothing and that this had happened with many due to overload. I asked how I received the email and she said computer generated. She said they had fixed the glitch and I needed to register again and gave me the site to go to. I did so and had the same problem initially encountered, it just keeps rolling back to "I'm not a robot" and I cannot continue to register.

The whole Equifax problem is insane. After registering once, calling and finding out I'm not in the system, trying to register again with no results, I have decided to waste no more time and frustration with this inept company. Let's just hope if my identity is compromised and there are lawsuits, I won't be excluded because I didn't register!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

In light of the recent breach of millions of consumer data and the articles written about such I've decided to highlight a few key points that for whatever reason simply are not being metioned: 1- The consumers whose data was held by Equifax had no bearing in the first, second or third place on their data reaching Equifax at all. Their data was sold to Equifax via many public and private institutions with no choice much less any notification to the consumers. Therefore it is entirely the complete fault of Equifax that the data was breached. Brings me to point 2:

2- All Equifax could offer consumers was a choice to "freeze their credit," however not without first paying a fee to Equifax to do it. Excuse me!! A FEE! FOR Equifax's personal screw up! Are you kidding!? How DISGUSTING IS THAT!? 3- IF Consumers wished to pay the fee, and then freeze their credit, they would be issued a pin number to unfreeze it. God forbid a consumer loses that pin, they would be stuck in a 3 month battle with Equifax trying to claim they are who they say they are, yet Equifax never tried to prove any identification of the consumer in the first place when purchasing that consumers data.

4- An article in ConsumerAffairs news states a large percentage of consumers have not froze their credit. I say good! Why bother with that hassle, especially when the number of consumers data allegedly hacked and stolen totals enough to make sense that one consumers data stolen being used further is the equivalent of that consumer hitting the lottery as far as chance is concerned.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

After initiating the enrollment process in TrustedID since my information was among that which was compromised, I eventually received an email to finalize the product. This link did not work. I called the help number in the email and spoke with someone I could barely understand who confirmed my identity after I answered some questions and said that he would have another email sent within 48 hours. This email never arrived, and I always checked junk mail box. After waiting about two weeks, I called the Equifax support number (866-447-7559) and spoke with someone who directed me to the TrustedID number (866-640-2273).

Calling this number only led me through automated prompts and when I was led to speak to someone, was left on hold with no hold music/message, indefinitely, no matter which option I tried (called back several times after waiting so many minutes in silent). I then called the first number back and spoke to someone else who gave me this number to call: **. I called that number, and that person explained that I should have received an email with a log-in ID and temporary password. I never received that email, needless to say (and we confirmed my email account). She tried to transfer me to speak to someone in customer service in order to request that they send another email since she did not have the authority to do so (888-548-7878) but explained that line was busy and recommended calling at 5 pm.

I tried calling just now and received a busy tone (no automated message or option to wait for an answer). This is by far the WORST customer service I have ever received, especially considering the reason I have had to waste so much time doing all of this is due to Equifax's own security breach. It is bad enough that even occurred and that we have only one year of the free service (really, it should be freely provided indefinitely). It has become an awful experience that I can't even complete the enrollment process, and dealing with such inadequacy has left me with zero faith in this agency that unfortunately has all of my information. With such failure, this agency shouldn't exist.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I am one of the people that has had my identity stolen and they sent me a statement saying my account was frozen which I did!! Then they told me the wrong address was used (my old one) and asked if I changed it, gave me a 888 number to call and was on hold for 1 hr. No one answered and they are now using a false address!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Well, I enrolled re the security breach free TrustedID program. That was step 1. Now I have been waiting of over 15 days to get the confirmation and login pin to get through step 2. I called today and got through to Tina, first. She was a totally clueless customer service rep who started rattling off the text in front of her. I had to stop her and state and restate and restate two more times that the process should take 72 hours, as she read off also, I was told I just have to wait. She gave me the excuse their system was down a couple of days and I responded does that total 15 days? She would not put me through to a supervisor; I guess they are all following the executives out the door!

I finally hung up and called back and got Cathy who at least was courteous and attentive and appeared to actually care. She gave me a number for TrustedID and asked me to get to them about the confirmation that I did not receive. Can you believe they can't even confirm on notifying TrustedID for an individual who has enrolled, like me? I'll make this short: TrustedID phone was BUSY every time I called. I say close Equifax down and let Experian be the boss. I already have my credit frozen there, plus they actually have people that answer the phone who know what's going on and can get your issue resolved! I really do think the best resolution is to shut Equifax down completely and purge/totally wipe out ALL DATABASES. I don't see a need for 3 credit service companies. I haven't worked a lot with TransUnion, so can't comment on them. ONE's Enough!

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.equifax.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use