1.08/5
Based on 93 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1019 Equifax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Violate the Fair Credit Report Act. Equifax are to reinvestigate the negative item shown on my credit report and to provide Proof of accuracy of verified items by providing original signed contract/agreement with wet ink signature or to remove any and all negative items where contract could not be provided. As of Today, I still have not received any valid proof of verification from Equifax yet they continue to report the items as accurate and verified. I think it unfair for Equifax have false information on your credit report.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Called by a potential employer who informed me that Equifax has a security freeze on my account. Called Equifax to have freeze lifted to find out that they don't have a freeze on my account. In fact, they hadn't updated my account since before November 2017, what happened to accurate updating my credit? Still had my old address on file (which had been updated with everyone else) refused to update address, informed me I had to fax in documents for proof for security purposes but didn't hesitate to ask me a million other private questions that validated who I am.

They need to catch up with the times, there is no email to send this info to, only mail or fax, and on top of it, it takes two days after it's faxed for them to get around to updating it. Lastly, and I'm usually the last person to do this. Every single person I spoke to had such a thick accent. It took repeating myself on average 4 to 5 times to get information relayed accurately. Equifax is beyond a joke and should be shut down as a major credit bureau.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have had nothing but issues with Equifax since I requested a free copy of my credit file. I have been unable to dispute anything online with them, I’m told my information doesn’t match, which is BS. I was successful sending one dispute online and received an email saying it was ready to be viewed, well that never happened. Email says I have 30 days to view it, upon trying to do so I’m greeted with the famous Equifax message saying my information did not match what they had on file. I am so fed up with Equifax, they make it nearly impossible to dispute or view your dispute which is required by law. I hope this company goes head over heels, they have no business handling any consumers personal information.

Original review: July 11, 2018

A few months after I used the service I cancelled my account on my computer. Since then they have been taking $20 from my account for 2 years. Yes I should have paid more attention, but the point is canceling over the internet is useless. Make sure you call and cancel.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Absolute nightmare to set up credit freeze (to fix Equifax breech). System is slow, and does not send you the PDF PIN number - then you get on phone for 45 minutes trying to convince them of who you are. Doesn’t help that there is a language barrier as they have outsourced their service to a foreign country. Why does their process have to be so difficult when it took only a few minutes each for Experian and TransUnion. I would rate them zero stars if possible!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: June 29, 2018

I tried signing up for the credit freeze through Equifax after the mess THEY made by THEIR breach. Their website kept freezing up and having errors. After multiple tries I gave up. Fast forward months later. I attempted to get a loan which was denied because I had a credit freeze through Equifax. WHAT?!?! I attempting to log onto their website to lift the credit freeze however it was down. I attempted to call and once again their system was down. I attempted the next day and turns out it requires an 8 digit pin. A pin that's supposed to show up in a popup/download at the time of the freeze. Since the website had an error I hadn't received a pin.

I eventually called and got someone that I could barely understand asking for a confirmation number I'd have no reason to have. I explained my problem and she started asking me security questions that nobody would know off the top of their head. Eventually she told me my credit freeze would be lifted between 15 minutes and 5 DAYS from now. Wait... I'm trying to lift the freeze because I need to use my credit and she says it may take up to 5 DAYS? I asked her if there's any way for me to call and check to see if it has been lifted so I'm not annoying my bank by having them retry my loan daily and she stated I could mail them and I would receive my answer in 7-10 business days. Useless company. The websites for the other two work fine. It's not shocking that the company that started this mess is also the one that's so dysfunctional that you can't reasonably use their services.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Faxed in both sides of provincial card and SIN card. They refused to send me my credit report. I called government of Canada. Told them Equifax said my SIN is too dark. They said it was fine. I sent copy of SIN and provincial card by mail with letter. I also filed complaint with BBB as well.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Horrible! I signed up for a credit freeze when the last security breach occurred. I then find that you can’t log onto the Social Security site (and others) with this in place. Removing freezes from the other 2 major companies was a breeze but EQUIFAX has been a HUGE problem. You need the PIN # you were given when signing up. I have my pin and I’ve spent HOURS Trying to get this freeze lifted. Their website freezes and they require you jump thru hoops. Am now having to send a letter with extra proof (utility bills, etc). RIDICULOUS! I wonder how long it will take now using snail mail. Why is it that EXPERIAN & TRANSUNION were so simple and they are the total opposite.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Every other credit reporting agency doesn't make it so hard to add or lift security freezes. Experian is the best and TransUnion was a pain but nothing like Equifax. Imagine having no way to recover a pin on their website. They don't make the number easy to find. Then when you finally get through you get someone who can barely speak English asking impossible questions. What is confirmation number, when did you originally apply the security freeze. They want the month day and year. Like you're really going to remember that. Come on now. If you fail you then have to send a letter with copies of your identification. It takes forever. They are punishing you for protecting your credit. I really wish they would go bankrupt. I would never use an Equifax product again.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Both of my parents are deceased. Father in 2013 and my Mother in 2017. When I received their credit card statement in May a charge dated 4/13/2018 in the amount of 199.99 was showing for EQF*TID TRUSTEDIDSERVI. I contacted the number provided on the statement and was informed they needed confirmation. They requested I send in copies of the death certificates, SS #, Mailing address and phone number along with a copy of my driver’s license. Then I needed to wait 10 days before calling them back.

When I called them back on 6/4/2018 I was given another number to call. So I called that number. They again asked for copies of the death certificates which were again provided to the new email address. I received communications today that they would not accept the death certificate because it did not contain the SS no of my parents. Utah statute specifically states it cannot be listed on the death certificate. All I am asking for this the monitoring price of 109.99 be refunded to their credit card.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had identity theft and promptly put a fraud alert and freeze on all 3 credit bureaus. Two credit cards were opened in my name and I only disputed those two. Equifax disputed ALL of my credit cards resulting in four cards being closed, three I have gotten back, (one dispute they put through was on an account that was closed 32 years ago and another closed 9 years ago). Equifax had told my creditor's I had a new address, which was the fraudulent address and they almost sent my new cards there. The rest of my cards were blocked. I had to constantly contact all of my accounts to get everything back in order. The time that this took over a matter of 6 weeks and having to do it more than once has been ridiculous.

I contacted Equifax and answered all questions correctly and was told my address didn't match up. I informed them that they had the thieves' address and they wouldn't change it, so I faxed them, per their request, all of my information, a police report and Federal Trade Commission identity theft report and my current driver's license showing my correct address with a cover letter detailing, very clearly, exactly what had occurred and to properly correct my address, along with phone numbers the thieves put on the cards that were not mind. In the mail I get a letter, not properly spelling my name, saying information was incorrect and to provide my full SS# and other forms of ID in order to facilitate my request, keep in mind this was sent almost one month later. I will not do that considering they have my name wrong.

I then get a letter addressed to my proper name stating my address has changed (which again is the fraudulent address used to open the cards) and I have to contact them AGAIN. Not only was I victimized by the thieves, but worse by the Bureau that is supposed to protect my identity. They don't listen to what I say, put me on hold forever and then never get back to me waiting for me to hang up, totally unprofessional and when I provide proper information they say mine is wrong. I just got the "results" of their investigation; however, when I try to access it I can't because they say I did not properly answer the questions.

I tried again and it won't allow me back in to it and I have to call them AGAIN. Of course it takes forever to get through to them because I have to go through numerous people to try and speak to someone in the US Fraud Dept. This is totally unacceptable, unprofessional and has been a waste of my time to prove who I am because even in writing, with proper ID and proof, they don't believe ME.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Equifax has continued to allow false or incorrect information to remain on my credit report. I have disputed inaccuracies numerous times, with documentation to prove those inaccuracies and they refuse to delete them.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I've been hacked more than once. Just when I think everything is resolved, it starts again, charges on my credit card etc. I have changed my credit card 3 times, the first time I under a free sample which was really my fault because it was actually a membership where they send you skin care product every month and charge you over $150 US for skin care you can buy at pharmacies for $60. It was on the Fifth Estate, a Canadian that lived in California. Fool me once, but not twice. I have a new credit card. Do not order online anything anymore. I realized it started again getting charges on my credit card. Looking back what I did in the last month. I had purchase a monthly service with Equifax so I can check my credit score again, and to make sure nothing negative. Sure enough I see my credit score is low 585, after paying well no late payments for 6 years.

I sent them a letter to complain, also I seen I had a collection that pop out of nowhere amount $1200+. I needed a loan, so I paid it off and would dispute it with company after. Sure enough it was a pay loan that I did not apply for in 2015 through a company that doesn't exist anymore. That was the year I started to work for CIBC and was hacked through my email. I had to change all my accounts, passwords, debit, credit card. I was also with TD bank and had to change everything there also. They tried to get a loan, got the alert, "Congratulation your loan has been approved". Equifax says I will have a hard time getting a loan due to my credit score. If I can't get a loan, but a criminal that applies for a loan online is approved, something is wrong with their system.

I can't dispute with company to get my money back, but at least remove the collection report off, and bring my credit score to normal. Who are the people that work for this company, CIBC hacking was a technician that was laid off so he sold data to black market. Ever since banks have outsource work to other countries like India. We have problems with hackers, and stealing identities.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Worst customer relations ever. Can't dispute even personal information without having to mail copies of my license, my SS card, my utility invoice. A credit reporting company that wants me to MAIL a copy of my SS card. Joke #1. Trying to "chat" is joke #2. One field to fill out: email address. No submit button, no link to continue. I hit my enter key. Error message: "please fill all required fields before attempting to initiate a chat" Huh?? ONE field, filled. On to joke #3: trying to contact a live customer rep. I finally find a number, call. First call, disconnected. Second call "Bran" needed me to answer a security question: What's the credit limit on one of my credit cards (a specific card)? What?? I've had that card for years, and I'm expected to remember its limit?? Isn't there another security question? No. NO??? At that point I disconnected the call. Equifax is impossible to deal with. Soooo much simpler with TransUnion.

Original review: May 30, 2018

By far, THE WORST of the credit bureaus to deal with. None of the features work on their website. I was in the middle of submitting a dispute (for two companies) and then automatically booted out of the system. So, I try again...answering all of the security questions and begin the process over again... to be booted out of the system RIGHT BEFORE pressing the submit button. Alas, I try a third time, except this time the system does not recognize me. At all.

I try Chat. They are unable to help me and provide me with a phone number to call... they give me the wrong phone number. I find the right number online... however, they too are unable to help me. Apparently, the only way I resolve an issue at this time is to send them a letter in writing. Seriously? This cannot be true, so I request a manager. Luckily, the manager was able to assist me with processing my (2) disputes (which took a whole 3 minutes to complete). Fast forward a week later, I receive an email re. the status of one of my disputes. Excited, I try to review the results. I click the link to view my results. The link is broken, it doesn't work. Nothing works, at all! GAHHHHH! Equifax will be the bane of my existence.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have two addresses under my name - not mine. Phones under my name - not mine. Scotiabank visa card - not mine. SO, I asked to be a fraud alert under my name, because DUH. They don't. They investigate it, and when they don't find any proof that it's fraud, they LEAVE IT. I asked to put an alert multiple times, and I even had a police report. Nope. They still closed the investigations and didn't put fraud alerts under my name. I now have really bad credit, with all of that info and it's not even me. Transunion is way better than Equifax. So apparently now I gotta wait 10 years for my credit to be good since Equifax doesn't want to do anything. THANKS!!!

Original review: May 21, 2018

Their website is absolutely horrendous. I was in the process of disputing two accounts which do not belong to me, and the website closed. Normally, not a problem. I re-opened and had to start the entire process over. After entering my identifying information a second time, I was informed that I am apparently non-existent, despite entering the exact same information I entered previously.

The accounts referenced are several years old; one of them is even a duplicate. So, this company can use its systems irresponsibly, and still have the power to have hold of your financial future. Why they still possess such a stronghold in the credit industry is perplexing -- they have already proven they cannot handle data responsibly.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I disputed inaccurate information on my report. It was a charge from a collector I had no knowledge of. I was positive it was not mine but how can you prove an account is NOT yours? Multiple disputes with Equifax and they always came back with same response saying the information was accurate. To prove to myself what I already knew I disputed the balance reporting on an account that had not updated and was paid off 45 days prior. I have a receipt showing the balance on this account is $0 and paid in full. AGAIN, EQUIFAX SAID INFORMATION WAS ACCURATE AND HAD BEEN VERIFIED AND THE BALANCE WAS $4300.

I had contacted the creditor before I sent the dispute and made sure the balance was 0$. This is undeniable proof that Equifax DOES NOT investigate disputes per FCRA. I will be seeking legal advice because the impact Equifax has on peoples lives is huge and they have a responsibility to report accurate information. It’s bad enough their security is weak and hackers steal millions of identities because of it and then don’t even own up to that. Now I proved they don’t even investigate disputes. They should be dismantled as a CRA and pay punitive damages that are unprecedented.

Resolution response: May 20, 2018

After another email on 5/19 to Tori at Equifax Personal Information Solutions, I finally received an email stating that my refund request was successfully submitted. So for that... Thank you Tori at Equifax!

Original review: May 18, 2018

On May 11th, I ordered a copy of my 3 bureau credit report. The report did not show any credit history. I contacted (by email) Equifax customer care. 3 days later, they closed the case without providing any information as to what they did to correct the situation. I then contacted them by Chat and for some reason, in the middle of the conversation, the Chat was disconnected.

When I reconnected, I was told to call them the next day between 0800 and 5 pm. I then emailed them again and was told that I may have a freeze on my credit report and would need to contact them by phone. I checked my account and no such freeze was placed on my report. So I called them at exactly 8 am, provided the case number and after a bunch of questions I was told that I contacted the wrong department and to call a different number from 9 am to 5 pm. (The number that I called was the number they provided to me to try and resolve the issue.) Getting frustrated, I contacted them by chat again and now I'm being told that I need to call a different number from 10 am to 5 pm. I keep getting the run-a-round. I paid for my 3 bureau report and got nothing except of the perpetual loop of "Call this number, Call that number, call at this time or that time".

Original review: May 16, 2018

I signed up for this freeze because of the debacle created by EQUIFAX... now trying to get the freeze unlocked and working with their employees is HELL! Just don't do business with this company. The employees in Customer Service seem to have a power rush in controlling what you can do with your account.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have called customer service multiple times after I was denied access to my online account because, "The information you have provided does not match our records". Each time I called, I was told that my information is correct, but "the website is not currently working because it is updating". When I ask why it says my information is incorrect, they say, "I do not have access to that information." So I ask if there is anyone I can speak to that DOES have access to that information.

They all repeat the same response over and over again, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience but the website sometimes does not work." Or, "I do not have access to that information." There has to be SOMEONE who can figure this out. TransUnion and Experian helped WONDERFULLY when I was trying to remove false information. Equifax is a poor excuse for a credit reporting company. If it was possible, I'd ban them from having any access to any of my information, but unfortunately, it's not.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I kept maintaining my credit payment on time and in full for over 2 years now and they did not change my score. I ended to a clue that Equifax try to keep you as long as possible with the same score to secure your membership as you cannot grab your score from there if you are not registered and you have to pay monthly payment to be able to access and check your score. If these people lose their credibility with many cases I DO NOT KNOW WHY BANKS and other still use their "UNFAIR" evaluation. I am sure if their applications that evaluate the credit score get audited by the government, this company will be shut down immediately. This is only one side of what they are doing adding the waiting on the line every single contact for over 30 minutes.

Original review: May 1, 2018

First off hold times are ridiculous if you call first thing in the morning when on the East Coast. I have experienced holds of over 25 minutes on more than 1 occasion and finally had to hang up as I have other things to do. Longer holds more understandable if calling after that as more time zones would be calling in. Why not set up a call queue like many companies have to return calls in the order received. Secondly, why do I have to input answers to all questions if you are not yet open? Why not advise us to call back during business hours and state what that is, INCLUDING time zone.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have had many bad experiences with Equifax. The website is virtually unusable, and I am very computer literate. I will describe as an example my attempt to access my dispute resolution information just a few minutes ago. I had received an email saying a dispute was resolved and it had a confirmation number that must be used to access my report online. I went to the website and the dispute resolution page where I was given a form that included that number and asked for my biodemographic information, including previous address. Because I have auto populate software, it took me about 1 minute to complete the form, but when I submitted it I was told that the process had timed out. I repeated the process, timing my entry, in less than one minute and was again told I was timed out.

I used the chat feature, which was slow and the agent was rude and closed the chat to stop me from commenting, but during the chat gave me a phone number for dispute resolution. I called that number, and after a long series of messages saying to use the website, I waited for an agent. I got one in a reasonable time but could barely understand him. He gave me a verbal report and when I asked for a paper copy he agreed to send it but had an address from over 4 years ago listed as current, despite my multiple attempts to correct biodemographic data on the website. I then tried the automated service again and this time wasn't timed out. But then you are required to answer 5 questions about credit accounts to "verify who you are." I have seen that page on multiple occasions, and despite being certain about the information I entered have always been told it doesn't match Equifax records and am denied entry.

Generally I have found that virtually every question they ask me requires me to use the "none of the above" answer, so knowing that they must give trick questions to keep you from accessing your information I carefully scrutinized the questions this time and detected that one of them asked about my getting a bank card on a certain date. I knew that the card was from Credit One, but it was not one of the options.

I Googled Credit One and found a site detailing the many complaints against the company, and in that document found this: "Credit One cards are issued by Credit One Bank of Las Vegas, which is a subsidiary of Sherman Financial Group" so I answered the question of "what bank offered the card" as Sherman Financial Group and got access. So that was what they deemed to be the correct answer was absolutely wrong, and to beat them at their game, I had to NOT correctly answer the question as "Credit One Bank" because that would have denied me access to my information. Instead, I had to know that an obscure financial group that owns the actual Credit One Bank was being deemed by Equifax as the correct answer. That is absolutely wrong.

Now I understand why I have tried to get access through that question bank on many occasions and have always been told my information was incorrect, when I knew it WAS correct. But this time I managed to get past the trick question and was given a link to view my results, and the LINK DID NOT WORK. I tried every trick I know of... I tried control+click, I tried right clicking to open in a new window or edit or view the URL behind the link... Nothing worked. SO AFTER AN INCREDIBLY ONEROUS PATH TO THE LINK, THERE WAS NO WAY TO GET TO MY REPORT. This is just one example of how horribly Equifax treats paying customers.

After trying to use the Equifax website for several months I have concluded that they actively obstruct customers from accessing the information they pay for. And like many of the other reviewers on this site, I have also found that Equifax data on my credit report is incomplete and largely wrong. Experian and TransUnion have very similar data and have a reasonable method for disputes, and they both complete the investigations and fix the errors in a timely fashion. Equifax data is totally different from the other two reporting agencies, generally wrong, and very difficult to get corrected. How is Equifax allowed to exist with security breaches, bad data and absolutely horrible customer service?

Equifax is the worst business entity that I have ever encountered. They should be shut down. I also have found that few, if any, lending agencies even use Equifax. So they really aren't used by most lenders, I can't get them to fix all of the errors in my report and I generally can't access the dispute initiation or results pages on their website, I am just no longer paying for their LACK of service. If I could give them a negative star rating it would be some infinitely negative number of stars. I'll have to settle for one star, but they don't deserve that.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I paid off a creditor who agreed to a pay for deletion. I paid almost 1K for the debt to be removed and the creditor has send Equifax numerous letters to delete the debt and Equifax fails to remove it from negative items. Therefore, it still shows that I owe that debt. I did a complaint with the consumer finance and Equifax responded that the debt was not there, yet I pulled my credit report and it is still there! They are liars and crooks!

Original review: April 24, 2018

All I wanted was a quick credit report. After I had entered all of my information and payment details, I was told my card had failed and so I received no product. So I re-entered the card details a few more times in case I had made a mistake, and still no luck. Shortly later, I was billed the full price of every attempt for a near total of $100. No products appear in the account page, and I can't change my payment information to something else (In case they attempt to charge me again) because you need to be subscribed to a product to change payment details. Phoning got me nowhere, and no contact email address can be found on the site. Luckily my account sign-up email contained an address to contact, and when I did I received an immediate response saying they would attempt to process it. There are better alternatives to Equifax by far.

Original review: April 16, 2018

They won't let me dispute charges unless I send all of my documents plus my first born. They scam you. Why is a third party in charge of my information and then charge me for MY information??? Give me my information I asked for and which is MY data.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Recently, after running my report from Equifax, they showed my current last name as a previous name and my previous name as current and likewise for my address. After trying to update this online, I was informed that I need to call, so I did. However, after giving my ss# to some young sounding girl in the Philippines who spoke with very broken English, I was requested to give my DOB, address, outstanding loans, how much my payments were, how much the outstanding balance was, who my credit card companies were and how much I had outstanding on each account... YES... All this for verification, after providing my social, DOB and address. At some point I said that's enough! She wouldn't move forward with my request to get my name and address updated.

The thing is this... I've had this name for over 10 years!!! And the address they showed as current has NOT been my address for 8 years. They list my current employer as a company I tried out for three weeks--only 3 weeks, close to 20 years ago!!! They make a mockery of people... It was only after calling 3 times (and yes I did give them hell as well, because I find it frustrating to speak with kids who barely speak English and are really rude... It's their way or no way!) that I requested to speak to a supervisor who after making me repeat all this personal information again (at least 10 questions) did she agree to update my information to the correct name!! Haha... Who is this insane company who cannot even keep the basic information straight take it upon themselves to provide businesses and banks with your credit scores?

Original review: April 12, 2018

Equifax updates when they want. I had a bankruptcy. The other two bureaus are updating and allowing me to dispute but not Equifax. Why do we use these entities when they are so inaccurate??? I tried to create an account and they sent me in circles. I can't get this items disputed and so many are wrong. I have the bankruptcy papers to prove it. It is ruining any chance I have at recovery from domestic violence and getting on with my life.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I filed a dispute based on inaccurate info, got an email from Equifax saying they had the results of my dispute, but when I clicked on their link I kept getting "We are unable to process your request." I called and finally got a human who barely spoke English, getting asking me the same questions and didn't understand what I was saying. He put me on hold 3 times. Finally I asked if the website is broken and he said it was. Also while waiting for this guy, I agreed to participate in a customer service survey and was told to stay on the line after the call, but after he hung up and I stayed on the line, nothing happened.

Not sure about Equifax?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Credit Report Sites for you.

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

Atlanta
GA
www.equifax.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business