2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.02/5

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I am about to lose the opportunity to buy a house for the 2nd time because of this company. They have my last name incorrect and I have been disputing since July, sent documents by certified mail, uploaded them and since November I have disputed the same thing 5 times with same result. The bank can not get a credit report from them because of the name discrepancy. Also I have disputed my address several times and even with the documents they cant seem to get it correct.

Calling their customer service all out of US is a joke. They all say the same thing. Sound like robots and refuse to transfer calls to upper management. Playing with people's dreams is what they do. My last attempt was today. If it does not get fixed I will lose the opportunity once again to buy a house. All because how incompetent this company is. No matter what number I call I get the same employees in Philippines or India not sure and is not their fault but the company that has a mediocre way of serving their clients.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I usually do not take time to do reviews, but this interaction was so pathetic that it warrants a truthful review. I have a credit freeze across the board because my info was compromised in the 2017 Equifax data breach. I want to refinance a mortgage so needed to temporarily unfreeze the 3 large credit bureaus. Transunion and Experian were clear, straightforward and both successful online. Excellent job - just the way it should be.

Equifax on the other hand, was awful, unable to login online, then unable to utilize password help - both were "unable to process my request at this time", called the Equifax phone number, attempted the "automated" temporary lift of credit freeze - what a disaster that was, rather unclear questions and answer choices about "information contained in my credit report". I answered one of the questions incorrectly? Requested to speak to an agent. She was very pleasant but not too helpful. She informed me that my account was now locked because of the automated "help". She offered to walk me through the online login but subsequently informed me that the "online login" was also locked and I would not be able to use the 2 remaining login attempts.

Remaining options: mail documentation and a written request, which will be "processed in a timely manner" - 7 to 10 business days or fax for a processing time of 5 business days. I requested that our recorded conversation be forwarded to the company CEO. Read the other reviews. This company apparently has not improved operations one bit from the days of their avoidable data breach except perhaps to improve their CYA policies. It is infuriating that a profiteering company can collect and sell my data without my permission, then not protect that data from theft. On top of that, why do they remain in a position to then impede the business that I need to conduct.

Kudos to Transunion and Experian - 5 stars. I only gave Equifax a one star because a ZERO was not available. FYI - you cannot signup for Medicare or Social Security Retirement online if you have a credit freeze. You have to make an in person appointment to create an account. Thank you Equifax - the company that according to 2017 news stories, could have proactively avoided a massive data breach by simply installing the freely available Apache Web-server security patches. Google it, the former resigned CEO walked away with 70 million dollars. Good luck to everyone one of the 140 million data breached people that are forced to deal with Equifax.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

My Equifax credit report has been frozen since 2007. I went online to open an account that I could manage myself. It said they could not verify me. I then went to the phone. After answering usual question it went to a new set of questions. Do I have any monthly loan payments - answer - no. Next question, how much are monthly payments - answer - none of the above. Next question, who is loan with - answer - none of the above. Last question was about a mortgage - I don't have a mortgage.

Someone with a difficult to understand accent told me I would have to FAX verification info, SS card, driver's license. So I left my house, one of the few times during COVID, and faxed it. The customer 'service' agent told me I would get a response within 30 days BY MAIL. It is 2020, almost 2021. My mailbox is more available to hackers than my computer accounts!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

We are all busy. I have a few rental units I rent and need to contact Equifax for various reasons (ie. Check on an applicants credit worthiness). I have spent hours trying to reach a HUMAN or find a way to get to the information through their website but each number I call has an Auto attendant which directs me to another number, and another and then another. Equifax has more numbers than people it seems. This company makes it so difficult to reach anyone to make an enquiry of any kind. Why both using them at all? Why would I as a business owner even consider paying for their (lack of) service?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Equifax is THEE WORSE at updating credit reports. The Creditors are reporting every month to them. However, Equifax doesn't update MONTHLY like Experian and TransUnion. My last reporting from them was September and this is DECEMBER. Highly Disappointed. Wish I could join a class-action lawsuit against them. Worse credit bureau EVER!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I keep a freeze on my credit so no one can use it except me. I was buying an expensive item from a company that wanted me to open an account with them. Without my knowledge they called Equifax for my credit score which was frozen. I tried to contact Equifax to release the freeze temporarily, but their customer service is in the Philippines. I could not understand their "English" and asked to be transferred to USA. They refused twice. I told the company that I was buying from to use Transunion because they are easier to deal with. Unfortunately they had a contract with Equifax so the "buy" fell through. The seller was very unhappy and I had to start all over to find the same item elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I would rate this company at < 1 if it were possible. Every time I need to unfreeze my credit for something, they make it extremely difficult. The other two agencies are wonderful. Logging on to their sites and using their systems is a breeze. For some reason Equifax rejects my passwords and prompts me to call customer service; which by the way is a call service in India, which means you'll be speaking to someone reading a script who can't do a thing to help you. If this sort of thing only happened once, I would understand, but it happens every time. If you are trying to buy a house, this is a major setback.

Here is my complaint!!! Why can't these guys operate with a real customer service department that can solve problems? At the end of the very frustrating phone call, you are presented with two options. You can send a letter, or you can send a fax. Both of these options take 5 business days, which is more like 10 calendar days. There isn't a single person you can speak with for help. It is a real shame that Equifax is able to hijack our credit information and offer little to no assistance with resolution...very disappointing organization.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

In applying for a mortgage refinance, I had to remove a security freeze with the 3 reporting agencies. There was no problem with TransUnion and Experian. Their customer service - telephone for TransUnion and website for Experian - worked well. The freeze was lifted in a manner of minutes. This complaint involves Equifax for not having adequate customer service. To this date, weeks after my request, the freeze has not been lifted which resulted in my lender not gaining access to my credit history from Equifax and has placed my loan application in jeopardy. And a potential financial liability. The fault is Equifax's totally dysfunctional customer-service system. Essentially, they have no customer service.

First, I tried dialing into their automated system. There are 4 security questions asked which I correctly entered into their numerical system. The system repeats the numbers so I knew that I had made no mistakes. Then it asks for a pin that was never requested by me or given to me. So since I did not have the pin the system connects - eventually - to a CSR. The representative stated he could not help me because "the system cannot verify your identity." So I asked, "How, after answering all the information correctly, we can verify my ID?" The representative said there was no way he could help me, and so I would have to submit a request by mail. He informed me that would take several weeks, maybe a month.

I explained that I had an interest-rate lock on my mortgage application that I would lose if my credit could not be unfroze. He just kept repeating the endless loop about "the system cannot verify your identity." I replied that I was willing to provide any information needed for this purpose. He again stated "the system cannot verify your identity." I insisted on speaking to a supervisor. Again he repeated the same computer generated message. Finally, he connected me to a “supervisor(?)” The identical conversation ensued that I had had with the first CSR. In frustration I insisted on speaking to an actual supervisor. I was connected with Dinna. She repeated the exact same message and stated there was no way a human being could assist me because of "the system."

I was totally frustrated by this experience - especially after the other two credit agencies had so easily assisted me. I called my lender to explain the situation, and he informed that I would absolutely need all 3 of my credit info unfrozen. He suggested that I try their website. The experience was just as infuriating. After I provided all the information correctly, the programmed response was that I needed to fax or mail in some identity info. A fax number was provided on the website. I faxed the required info to Equifax. Attached to my fax request was a copy of my FL driver's license, and a copy of my monthly mortgage information confirming my address. I asked to "please expedite" due to interest rate situation.

Three week after my fax, I received a form letter from Equifax asking me to send in the same information in a mailed letter. They gave no explanation why they had not accepted the information that I had already provided in the fax. In again attempting to remove Equifax's obstruction, I again tried to get assistance from customer service. Both times the agents hung up on me without explanation. Equifax has a totally anti-consumer CS system. It may have cost me a favorable mortgage loan. I feel their operation deserves to be shutdown and prevented from damaging other consumers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I have been fighting with Equifax for nearly 3 YEARS to gain access to my online credit report and their online dispute system. There are several derogatory marks on my Equifax report that are from old medical bills, which should NOT be on there because they were paid by my insurance, which I have full proof of. However, I have NOT been able to access either my Equifax credit report or their online dispute system in the nearly 3 years that I have been trying so that I can dispute these items to have them removed. Out of the 3 credit bureaus, my lowest score, by a landslide, is with Equifax because of all the inaccuracies. I have tried SNAIL MAILING my dispute to them on several occasions over the last 3 years and I have never even so much as received an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of receipt of my dispute.

One time after I mailed my dispute, they just mailed me a copy of my credit report! That is NOT what I needed! I can only view my Equifax report via Credit Karma, but I cannot dispute anything because that needs to be done directly through the Equifax website, but guess what? I can't do that because it NEVER works!!! I can't even access my credit report on their website! Every single time I try to access either my credit report or their online dispute center, I get the message, "We are unable to process your request." I have CALLED Equifax on the phone multiple times, only to get some foreign idiot who just tells me to mail my dispute. Um...HELLO?!?! I have already done that MULTIPLE times with absolutely NO response whatsoever!

I have reported Equifax to the CFPB, but that was a complete and total waste of my time as nothing ever came of that. I finally reported them to my state's Attorney General Consumer Credit Protection Bureau, but they were totally useless as well. It is a CONSUMER'S RIGHT to have FULL ACCESS to their credit reports with ALL THREE bureaus and ALSO have full access to be able to dispute any inaccuracies and discrepancies on their consumer credit report. I have NEVER had a single problem with Experian or Transunion and my scores with them are substantially higher than my score with Equifax (by nearly 100 points), all because these people are criminals who are doing nothing but stonewalling my access to my credit report and their online dispute system.

If I want to see my Equifax report, I have to go through Credit Karma, but whenever I try to dispute any items, it just directs me right to the Equifax website, where I constantly get the previously mentioned error. My wife and I are planning to purchase a new home within the next year to year and a half, but these frauds at Equifax are preventing that from happening until I can get some of these inaccuracies removed from my credit report with their bureau. My next step is going to be legal action.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Every time I call Equifax to temporarily lift my credit freeze it takes an hour (Experian and TransUnion take about 2 minutes). Equifax asks a bunch of secondary questions from a decade ago, and many of them don't pertain to me (e.g. Who did I have a car loan with in 2010? I pay cash for all of my vehicles?!), then tells you that you are wrong. They then ask you to fax (who has a fax?) information, or mail a copy of your social security card and drivers license. (Who is going to MAIL those sensitive documents?!) No email option, no ability to update your data.

The kicker is that I also have an account set up on the website which claims you can handle it there, but even after authenticating who I am it says I must call the 800 number to handle. I just spent 30 minutes on hold and another 30 minutes trying to work through a temporary lift - again - unsuccessfully. Equifax, it's staff (who just gave me the runaround for 30+ minutes), and their processes are more than broken... Sad.

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor