2. Finance

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Equifax Reviews

Original review: May 26, 2020

Answered no questions that were addressed about positive effects towards my credit report that I am working really hard on and tried to over talk me about everything that, what was not my concern. Got really quiet when she was not sure of an answer and left me hanging on, I'm now like, "Hello Ma'am are you there?" And she says nothing. Just puts me back on hold, plain rude. They shouldn't be in charge of anything of mine period. Very distasteful and a waste of time and taxpayers' dollars. Who is over these dweebs!!!

Original review: May 26, 2020

Little bit of background information first... I've been in the process of looking for a new home and being approved for a mortgage. As of three days ago, my credit score through Equifax was at 708, but when I checked this morning it had dropped by 58 points! Naturally I was concerned and curious as to why it dropped by this much since all my credit accounts are in good standing and been paid on time for the last 3 years. I decided to call Equifax and this is where my real nightmares began!

The first representative I spoke to acted as if she didn't understand why I was concerned about the drop in my credit score and could not provide me with a concrete reason as to why my score had dropped by so many points. To make matters worse, she decided to hang up on me before she even helped me with my question. So of course I became frustrated but decided to call back and give them another try. I went through the process of calling and explaining my situation to a different representative.

The second representative was just as helpful, if not less, than the first. He also could not give me a concrete reason as to WHY my score had dropped by so many points. He just kept repeating "all your accounts are in good standing" and "please hold." To make matters even worse, he just continued to give me advice about things I already knew like "you can build your credit back up by signing a mortgage and paying it on time" or "you could open more lines of credit through a bank or department stores." I continued to explain to him that would take time and that would not help me solve the mystery as to why my credit score dropped for no apparent reason. With no concrete answer, the second representative also hung up on me.

Now being rather heated and not wanting to give Equifax a win, I decided to call one more time. After putting in all my personal information for a THIRD time and going on two hours of being on the phone with this crooked institution, I talked to another representative. She began by asking me for ALL the personal information I had just typed in through the automated system (first & last name, social security number, address, & even date of birth) which was a huge red flag to me. During the time I was on the phone with the third representative, she had her t.v. up so loud in the background that I could barely hear her.

The call finally ended after another 45 minutes and STILL no concrete explanation as to why my credit score dropped by so many points AND I was left with the feeling that now my identity may have been stolen. I can't believe these people have control over people's financial well-being when they can't even tell you how they calculate the credit score they give you. Makes you think it's all make-believe and just to keep people financially dependent on this large, crooked institutions...

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I called Equifax about a paid account that has a balance that keeps increasing. TransUnion and Experian have already made changes. But old and cold Equifax still has not corrected the account information. They are showing old accounts on my credit over 10 years old. I called them and got no help. The rep didn’t know how to help and told me call the creditor. The creditor has already sent the deletion letter. And to make matters worse, Equifax tried to get me to dump MyFICO and get their Equifax versions. Lol! Never!

Original review: May 14, 2020

I have 104 months of perfect on time payments across of all of my accounts. One time the the bank reports a missed payment, which is actually a mistake. The spinless pukes at Equifax do not bother to look at my past PERFECT payment history and think there may be a reporting mistake by the bank, they just automatically drop my rating by over 100 points and then the customer service person was a complete puke and unwilling to assist in correcting the issue.....just rude.

I feel they should be proactive in the action, look at my history and when something like this happens they should be PROACTIVE and realize it must be a mistake and contact the credit provider and research the situation, but NO they just openly and without a care DESTROY my credit. So unfair and uncaring! Please put the person back into personal care and service... Equifax is a rude uncaring and should not be allowed to be in charge of my credit rating, I am in charge. I make all of my payments and am very careful with my credit, why are PUKES like this allowed to be in charge?

Original review: May 13, 2020

I will try to keep the frustration out of the content of this experience. I just called Equifax at 1866-349-5191 #5. This is the number I was transferred to regarding an issue of my wallet being stolen with my CC's in it. All I wanted to do was let them know that although I froze my 3 Credit Bureau Reports, I did it after there was an arrest and my wallet recovered and that there may have been some inquiries on my report that were made and were not mine. The person on the line validated that I was "me" by asking social security number, address, and a few other questions. Unfortunately, she had five more questions regarding loans and credit cards from the past.

I had to validate the exact credit card or loan that appeared on her screen in 2018. I could not because I have not had loans since 2018 (just student loans and I validated those as well)... I currently own only two credit cards and thank goodness because I am "sheltered in" without employment since March 29th. However my wallet was stolen from inside my car in April and all I simply needed was to tell this person that inquiries on my report in April, were not mine. I was willing to provide past addresses, I gave her four or five different credit cards that I remembered having in 2018, I gave her the name of the loans I had in 2018. However, she still said it was not enough and that I did not name the one credit card she needed to hear.

I asked her if she was reading a script and she said no. I asked if she could tell me the options and I would choose the correct credit card and she said no. She ended up telling me she could not help me or ask me other questions and therefore whatever was on my report I would have to either send in a copy of my Driver's License (which I clearly told her was stolen and I had a police file report number if she needed it, as it was in my wallet and I cannot get a new one issued during Covid19). It was an incredibly exhausting experience, I will not call Equifax again to get help because it left me feeling powerless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: May 12, 2020

I have filed disputes with Equifax numerous times to fix the credit errors they have made on my credit report and they continue to ignore it. So I got the BBB involved last month. Well I received an email saying my report had changed. Expecting to see it fixed I found the opposite they had dropped my score by 70 points not to mention they have still not fixed a thing. They even tried to tell the BBB that they would try and correct it which is a lie. And the response is always coming from a senior consultant with no signature what's so ever. This company is a bunch of crooks who need to be stopped.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I have been locked out of my account, I spent more than an hour with them to try to log into my account, they kept transferring me to different agents, and after an hour, discussing my account with me, they transferred me to the technical agent, who after verification, wanted my social security, when I refused, he said he cannot verify my identity, These guys are scary in these times of online scams. I requested them to cancel my subscription, Not sure I can trust them anymore. I am still locked out of my account..

Original review: May 10, 2020

EQUIFAX SUCKS!!! Anyone know how to talk to a live ** person? I've called multiple numbers, sent email, called numerous times. When I did talk to a human she was beyond rude!!! So much so it got to where when I asked for her name or employee ID number she said "I ain't got to give it to ya". Really? Are you ** kidding me. Then I asked for her manager after she hung up on me. Then on another call back (same person) I asked, "Can you just tell me if you got my letter sent overnight."

Of course she said in her ignorant manner..."we ain't got yo mail" then hangs up on me again.. Grrr... welp. She's gone and pissed me off. Called her back. I told her I'll keep calling until she gets me a manager! I kid you not – for the next 64 phone calls I placed to her she literally hung up on me every time. Not even speaking when she did answer the call. I told her I can do this all day. She said "No you cant. We close at 5" then click. Grrrrr. Wtf...I just need a dispute I requested closed!!! **!! I will be sending a letter to the ceo. Hopefully they can pull my number and see how she was with me. In the meantime. I'm at a loss. Any ideas??? Not in the mood for jokes soooo.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I filed a dispute with Equifax on 04/02 in regards to an account that should no longer report and old late pays I believed to be erroneous. I filed similar disputes with Experian and Transunion and they promptly completed my requests. Equifax updated the dispute on 04/29 and added a 90 day late in March to an account that was closed and paid 0 balance in 2015. I was alerted by my credit service myFICO and my Equifax score dropped 44 points per their alert. I have called Equifax numerous times to resolve the issue. I have had long hold times and a long process on each call to have my information validated and explain the issue from the beginning over and over again.

Their call center help associates all speak English but with heavy accents so I had to have a lot of their responses repeated to me several times to comprehend their response. They are firm gatekeepers and make it difficult to escalate to a supervisor. They do not listen and provide scripted responses. One associate closed out the call without my permission. None of them understood that the issue was not the creditor, it was Equifax, even after I told them I spoke with the creditor and they confirmed verbally and in writing they have not reported on the account since 2015. I also pulled my other two bureau reports and they are still reporting the old account but no 2020 late pays. The associates each refused to listen to me and told me to take it up with the creditor.

I was able to push enough on two calls to get to two people that listened and promised to help. On the one call they put me on hold off and on while they tried to delete the late pays. After an hour they were confident it was fixed. I checked my Equifax credit report in 24 hours and the account now shows 120 days late instead of 90. I called back several times and was shot down until a nice guy answered and he immediately transferred me.

Went through the same process again and was told to wait 48 hours to check my report. I waited the 48 hours and checked again and the 120 late for March 2020 was still there. I called back and pushed to get a supervisor again. She kept repeating same script as her employee and would not listen. I told her I needed her entire name and title as I was documenting for further escalation. She would only give her first name but told me her title was Escalation Manager. Since she just kept repeating that Equifax does not add or delete information which I know to be untrue since Equifax added it and then employees tried to delete it but made it worse, I asked to speak to her supervisor. She at first refused but then agreed after I took down her first name and title.

The higher supervisor got on after I was on hold again for another 10 minutes which I must also emphasize is not consumer friendly. They are only open 9-5 EST Monday-Friday and calls last at least an hour forcing people to take time off of work to resolve which is a wasted personal day since their people are so poorly trained and unwilling to provide assistance. The next higher supervisor repeated the script again and sent me back to the creditor. I have filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney General and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. With the CFPB complaint I was able to upload the creditor letter proving it is Equifax’s error. I am under contract for a home loan and am basically being held financial hostage by Equifax as my score dropped substantially and a recent 120 day late could result in a denial.

Equifax completed the investigation and reported the account closed and paid as of August 2015 and show the 2020 late pay as accurate in their own letter. I have documented very well and now even have documentation in writing from Equifax showing their gross negligence. All they allowed me to do earlier last week is to issue another dispute. Their last one took nearly 40 days and resulted in the 120 day late I have now for 2020. They also just reported a credit card I have open and active as closed by consumer. They are so dysfunctional I can only see it as financial services malpractice. My next step is to retain legal counsel as I have exhausted other options and may lose the house.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I signed up for their service to get a credit report. They state that you can cancel any time but that you have to sign up monthly to get the credit report. I signed up thinking that I can cancel any time. Turns out you cannot cancel online!!! You have to call their technical support to cancel. The process has to be done on limited business hours, requires multiple security questions and takes 30 minutes only AFTER you have waited in hold for longer than expected waiting times due to a long list of excuses. THIS IS INSANE! Do NOT sign up.

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor