2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

As a result of my identity being stolen due to the Equifax breach I put a freeze on my credit information with all three credit bureaus. I have been unable to temporarily unfreeze my credit information with Equifax for at least six months. Every time I try to speak with a live person I am asked a series of "security" questions regarding past credit cards or loans. The cards or loans never refer to ones that I have had therefore I answer no each one. Every time I go through a recorded voice says I have answered wrong and I am cut off. A couple of times when I called again, the questions were asked in a foreign language!!! Somehow, I was able to get through some other way, and was sent a letter with a temporary passcode to log onto my Equifax.com. This passcode DID NOT WORK.

I filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Agency in Georgia in February, 2020 listing the above complaint against Equifax. This "consumer protection agency" did absolutely nothing to help me and in a letter to me said that they had closed the case!!! If anyone who is affected negatively by Equifax wants to file a Class Action Law Suit, and I have seen many comment that they would, go to Facebook and search #takeequifaxdown. Maybe if enough people post and get together, we can get an attorney to do this! I want to add that I can unfreeze/freeze my credit information with Experian and TransUnion with no problem, at least so far.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Equifax made a mistake on my credit file and I am applying my mortgage, request them correct the information that not belongs to me, I fax my document since July 6 and wait 10-15 business days get nothing changed, and called them almost everyday except weekend, different agents different sayings, and impatient to answer me, sometime say no signal, some time just let me listen music, sometime say it is different department, sometime say system upgrade let me call back, and when someone heard my story and just let me keep fax document and fill out dispute form and wait another 10-15 business days, F...

Really mad with them, this is horrible service and team, they made mistakes on my file, and didn’t correct it on time since I request an urgent, and nobody care my case, always same saying, "I am sorry I understand but I did my best. Please keep waiting another 10-15 business days," I am applying my mortgage waiting this correct report, even just a letter can proof Equifax mix up the customer credit information, they are not willing to provide, I am first time to purchase a property and there was a mortgage and different person name register under my file, and equifax didn’t amendment it since I request on July 6th, And they don’t care about my emergency, coz I let $30k deposit to listing brokerage and if I don’t get mortgage will lost my deposit, coz sellers sold the property changed another big place, they Will be impacted.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

My credit score dropped for no reason and they gave me the run around. Manager supposed to phone me back in 2 days. 3 weeks later no call and tried to cancel. They hung up on me and said I can’t cancel.

Original review: July 26, 2020

I was in the process of trading my vehicle to purchase another vehicle. When we got to financing the vehicle, the salesperson asked if I had a freeze on my account and I told him yes, so I made a mad dash home to unfreeze my reports. I logged into Transunion, and did the unfreeze, no problem. I logged into Experian and did the unfreeze, no problem.

When I attempted to log into the Equifax page, problem. It didn't recognize any of my information, so I called the customer care number. My call dropped, twice. When I finally got connected, it was an automated system. For 17 minutes, I had to wait on a barely audible robotic voice to offer options that had nothing to do with temporarily removing a freeze or to speak with a representative. I finally selected 0 and a rep came on. The moment she asked for my SSN# the automated voice came back on asking me to take a survey, then the line dropped. Of course, I called back and sat through the robotic voice, but this time, it asked me to answer 4 questions. I could barely understand the questions, but I answered them.

Finally, it said, connecting me to a rep. A male rep comes on the line, ask me for my SSN# and address. Once I gave it, he told me that I missed two questions and that I had to fax over my driver's license and my social security card, or my W-2. When I asked him, what two questions did I miss, he refused to provide me any information. He just read me the fax number and then proceeded to say, once they get my information, give them 5-7 days to get back to me. Let's just say, if I could cancel Equifax, I would because that experience, I wouldn't wish on my enemy. By the time I returned to the dealership, the salesperson told me they had the information they needed, and I drove home in my new car. If Transunion and Experian got it right with their online services, why is Experian so different and difficult?

Original review: July 19, 2020

All I was trying to do was change information on my account. They said to wait 5 business days for the confirmation email, I did nothing. I called and then they said it’s 10-15 business days now, so I waited over 15. I called again because I didn’t receive an email. I talked to 4 people there and no one could give me an answer to why I haven’t received it and said to just fax it again and wait 15 business days. Horrible service! Couldn’t even tell me if they received my fax or not and didn’t even try and help.

Original review: July 17, 2020

The website is not user friendly and Equifax makes it impossible to view your credit score without purchasing one of their packages. I have tried numerous of times to speak with a person live to discuss, but unable to reach anyone. There should be laws to help the consumer from this type of racketeering or else take their power away from being a recognized Credit bureau company.

Original review: July 10, 2020

These people I guess get a thrill out of being rude because arguing with me made them laugh in the background. Instead of helping they wanted to prove their point of being right. What kind of customer service is that? And how is one a supervisor? Plus what help is this company when it comes to Covid-19? Guess they don't care when some states are still struggling and don't have everything open. What a loving company you are. Smh for these kind of places that dgaf!

Original review: July 8, 2020

I check my credit score on Credit Karma weekly, On July 5th Equifax had indicated that my credit score had dropped 17 points because of a $5.00 charge on my Lowe's account. Transunion score remained the same. The account balance was 286.58 as of June 6th and no additional charges were made. But they were saying that the $5 charge bumped me up into a higher usage percentage, going from 9% to 10%. Even with the new math 286.58 + $5.00 is 291.58 and is NOT 10% of $3000.00.

When I called and talked to a representative they tried to blame the figures and subsequent charge on the Credit Karma model for the increase. I flatly told her that Credit Karma uses the numbers/info that you provide them and refused to acknowledge who the entry was done by, someone at their agency or Lowe's. BTW, Lowe's was paid in full via EFT on the 6th & 7th and I did notice that there was no information submitted by Lowe's to date since June, so it had to be done by them. They need to have better oversight and regulation, but then again this is the United States and businesses seem to do whatever they want because government agencies/employees are basically useless; certainly no return for the tax dollar. 's

Original review: July 7, 2020

Unauthorized use of credit card information. Equifax has charged my credit card although both my CVV and expiration date have changed. A company which is focused on credit fraud is doing it themselves. I think that says it all. They mentioned in the mail that they can't take money out of your account anymore and will have to stop your subscription. In all reality they don't care. It is a fraudulent company which should be ashamed.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I've been in an urgent need of updating one of my credits and been told if I send the required documents by fax and mark them as "Urgent", they'll review it and it'll be processed between 3-5 business day. I've been following up once I sent my files and called 2 days after I sent the files to see if they received them, but have been told by one of the agents, that I have to wait at least 3 days so they'll be able to check that out. Called on the third day and been told that I have to wait 2 more days! I called on the fifth day and the lady that answered my call told me that she can't tell me if the credit has been updated or not and I should call back in 2 hours to be able to talk to an agent!! I lost my mortgage approval only because of their lack of cooperation and not having a clear answer for my bank about the time I need for credit update, and kept waiting for nothing! It was marked URGENT for God's sake! I would not recommend Equifax at all!

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor