3.02/5

1126 Equifax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2019

Equifax not only had 1 breach October 2016, they had another November 2018. In these breaches they allowed our personal information with SS#, names, address, phone, email and addresses with legal middle names to be sold to the open market by an insider and now hundreds in of thousands data brokers are either selling the information, distorting it or other hackers have it to use as identity theft or fraud. Equifax has taken no responsibility for their actions and refuse to remove inaccurate information from the report or delete or suppress files when police reports and notarized affidavits are submitted. They are a total fraud and con and continue with their fraudulent ways regardless what federal laws are in place to protect consumers.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I have been battling ID Theft since for about a year now. Try to navigate through this process is enough to make a person go insane. Equifax failed to put a fraud alert (initially) when I first learned someone was attempting to get a credit card in my name. I did not know they failed to place the fraud alert until months later, when my bank account was emptied & much more credit had been given to the thief.

I have since been working to rectify everything, however Equifax refuses to give my access to my report. No matter how I request it, it is not given to me. I can see my report via Credit Karma, and I utilize the dispute option, however I cannot see the dispute result. Like EVERYONE ELSE on this site, I get the "We are sorry, our online system is unavailable at the moment" message. This is unacceptable, I have been trying to establish credit with vendors for my new business & Equifax is reporting false information, DESTROYING my ability to get my business going.

Equifax asking questions to verify I am me, but they are asking questions about the accounts I did not open, & I'm disputing, as they are not mine, they only ask about accounts I have no idea about. They claims that the verification questions being asked are random every time, & they have no control over what they ask. Problem with this lie, is that it's ALWAYS the same questions. They never ask about any other accounts, or details about me, and the fact that I cannot see my report except thru Credit Karma, how can I validate what I didn't do...hence the reason I'm disputing it. Neither of the other CRA give me any issues, they have removed all things that are not mine & I have full access to my reports.

SOMEONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. THE FTC CLAIMS THEY NEED MULTIPLE PEOPLE TO BE AFFECTED BEFORE THEY CAN DO ANYTHING. Well, but the looks of the website, many Americans are being affected by Equifax. Why spend taxpayer money on establishing laws & rights, SUCH as the Fair credit reporting act, & FDCPA, if no one is going to uphold them? Furthermore, how is it that Equifax seems to validate lies, but the other two CRA cannot? How is it that this CRA gets away with mishandling millions of consumers Private Information, cause millions of consumers to face Identity Theft, costing taxpayers thousands of dollars, and nothing is done.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Equifax showed two extra accounts on my report that I never opened. I called the bank and they said it was from someone else with a different name and SSN. I called Equifax twenty times and faxed all documents they asked for. After two months, they mailed me a letter saying they won't remove the accounts. Wish you guys the best luck in hell.

Original review: May 19, 2019

For about 2 years I have provided Equifax with a copy of my military deployed orders along with the rental agreement from my apartment complex. In the agreement the military clause was signed and stated. I disputed a false report dealing with Marc Inc in Wichita Kansas. When I receive orders to deploy Marc Inc/EastBoruogh did not acknowledge my orders and tried to charge my account a fee for breaking lease. When I provided my orders more than 60 days out before leaving this company gave me a hard time for being military.

When I disputed it with Equifax they refuse to take it off my credit score even with the proper documentation provided. I even receive a notification disregarding my military orders from Equifax. It has been stressful dealing with them and the breach! For 2 years I have been fighting a claim because I am military. I have spoken to several people and not one person could direct me to someone who could actually help me. I reported to TransUnion and they have taken it off of my credit report. Now, Equifax is giving me a hard time for 2 years. So stressful! Whatever you do military friends and family do not trust them.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Literally the worst agencies I’ve ever dealt with in my life. Their online dispute center has been down for months, it won’t ever let me do online disputes because “my credit file can’t be found”. When you call them, no one speaks English and has no clue WTF they’re doing, not to mention they want you to list every single account good and bad with payment dates, amounts, and lenders before they’ll even look into making a called dispute. I don’t even know why Equifax is still in business. They’ll nothing but a total joke and keeping people’s credit scores in less than perfect condition because all the things they claim to offer aren’t legit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: May 17, 2019

This company will do nothing for their customers. I had several negative accounts fall off my report. I saw an increase with the other 2 bureaus but not with Equifax. They never change your score when something positive happens in your file. And even though I have no new negative accounts, as my credit profile gets better it never goes up. I have called many times and the folks working there can never tell me why my score never seems to go up no matter what I do. When these negative accounts were on my file the representatives told me they were the reason for my lower scores, but once they fell off nothing changed.

I have seen a 90 point increase in the other 2 bureaus. But this agency is so lazy, and nasty and so powerful, they do as they wish and they have no concern for doing honest business. That is how they got caught in such a massive breach. Being cheap, and taking short cuts. I do not understand why businesses still use them. But then again, it seems that Equifax is a company that is in bed with big business, and could care less about the individual consumer.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I periodically check my credit report and noticed a hard hit from a credit card company I had nothing to do with. I contacted the bank and they said there was nothing they could do. They suggested I contact the credit reporting agency directly. I went online and filed a dispute with Equifax. After a week or so I decided to check on my dispute. I was unable to bring up any results and was told to call. Oh, brother! I spoke with a man who was not understanding my problem at all. He proceeded to open a brand new dispute. He gave me the confirmation number. I then asked him to check the original confirmation number I had given him. He asked me to wait and then cited a dispute from several years ago. I gave him the confirmation number for the third time and he said, "which dispute do you want to know about? There are 15."

At this point, he was useless in explaining so I asked for a supervisor. She finally came on and confirmed that ALL of my creditors were being disputed... EXCEPT FOR THE ONE I WAS DISPUTING!!! I have excellent credit (805) and she assured me my credit would be restored within 30 days of the end of the complete investigation. She said there was no way to stop this. Frankly, I do not trust this company and do not want them anywhere near my credit history. I wish there was a way to shut them out completely. A horrible company that won't take any responsibility for a crappy website and a useless customer service department. My advice: Don't buy any products from this company and have as little contact as possible.

Original review: May 12, 2019

How Ironic, Equifax is there to protect consumers from credit fraud and ensure a persons credit rating is protected against whatever malicious may be out there. The truth is, Equifax is whom the public needs protection from. For the second time in about 4 years have gone into the site to purchase a 1 time credit report I ended up being charged every month for "premier" service, the first time I called and they canceled it, the last time they canceled after trying for 45 min. to tell me the system is down, my info is not popping up, call back another time, the supervisor is not available and just trying to wear me down so I could go away, I persisted but would not reverse the charge.

I called my credit card to dispute charge and the person handling my call told me he was victim to the same scam Equifax runs. You call in to buy a 1-time service to view your credit rating and you are by default signed in to a 1-year contract as stated in the "fine print". Being in Canada I will complain to consumer and corporate affairs and as Equifax is US based I am certain the dept. of justice will have a field day with them as mail and wire fraud is criminal in the US which takes these things extremely seriously especially due to the fact that a company that is there to help consumers takes advantage of its position to itself commit fraud.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Is the correct phone number for Equifax 1-800-685-1111 a scammer site or the real Equifax? These stories sound just like mine. I provided them with plenty of information which I thought was crazy, starting with my social security number, but could not provide all the details they wanted. I talked to two robo people and 3 real people. I was told to fax a copy of my driver's license, birth certificate etc. to prove who I was just to place a freeze on my account. I finally got off the phone in disgust. I already have a scammer on my computer so I was careful to call. Now I'm reading Yelp and can't believe it. I think there might be alot of fake Equifaxes out there.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have been disputing something with them for the last two months. Now the other credit reporting agencies have removed. Now these I can’t say what I want to call them have added something else to my report. They have sent a reply. They need 30 or more days **. They are just not doing what they are supposed to. They must get off on keeping people where they want them. I have tried to look at what they say they have completed which was absolutely nothing. Nothing has changed at all thru them. They are worthless and have done nothing to resolve my issues. I have paid off a couple of collections and they still don’t want to remove them. CFPB has done nothing to help at all. I want something done or I guess I will have to get a lawyer. This is crazy. The worst of the worst.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Where should I start? First off I couldn't dispute items on my credit report that weren't mine because Equifax wants to know when I opened these accounts that aren't even mine. How could I possibly know that. Then I try and call and guess what? All their calls are forwarded to India so I couldn't understand a single word the person said and definitely didn't feel comfortable disclosing my personal information. Then after I did disclose my personal info the person started asking me the same questions that I couldn't answer online. What sense does that make? How could I know anything about accounts that aren't mine. I without a doubt would never send them anything in the mail as I doubt they would even do anything with it. Most useless credit reporting agency by far. Nothing but fraud. It's like they are being paid by the collection agency to make it impossible to remove fraudulent accounts.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Two months ago I tried applying for a home loan. The a bank with which I have conducted business for more than 20 years. I was informed that they could not pre-approve me because Equifax had a freeze on my account. At no time have I ever requested a such action be taken. When I called to have the freeze removed I was asked a series of detailed questions about my financial status. After 30 minutes my identity could not be proven to the satisfaction of the customer representative. I was instructed to FAX a copy of a photo ID and my Social Security card to a number that was not known to be secure. When I asked if there was a protected way for me to send this information I was told I could send it by mail.

As yet this situation is unresolved and talking with anyone at Equifax is a tiresome repetitive pain. They do not listen and offer no realistic solution to this issue. Considering the impact this company has over our ability to buy or secure employment it should be far more customer friendly. It also needs to get with the times and improve their means of communication and protect for consumers.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Over a year now disputing Quantum Collections that place a collection on my Equifax Files. This was already paid to the original doctors. I provided bank statements to Quantum collection agency and Equifax but they both refused to see the truth. Collection Agency had never responded to my request for debt validations or provided any physical evidence to me but somehow Equifax believe this collection agency or they just as crooks. An honest agency would report accurate information, not Equifax. They lie about verifying the information dispute if they truly they would see that collection agency has no business trying to collect sometime already paid. I had send proof to both party but they won't remove this clearly inaccurate information. How can people business trust this company with so many complaints on file with the Consumer Financial protection bureau.

Original review: May 6, 2019

This is a sorry state. Calling customer service brings up questions to verify. After 30 minutes, the questions continue just to verify me. After which I am asked to send a driver's license and address proof to prove it's me who is on the phone. This is just to verify and view a dispute report that I can see online but can't view any details of. You guys are a disappointment.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I submitted a dispute and received an email stating the dispute was ready to review. I clicked on the link they provided, entered ALL my information, answered the security questions and then clicked on the dispute number. I was linked to a blank page. I attempted this process again and received the same results. I started an online chat and was told the dispute site was down and to call 855-332-4646 and spoke with a Rep, provided her with all my information, explained my situation and after all that she told me I needed to write a letter to Equifax asking for the result of my dispute. I explained that I received the email and because their dispute website is down, I shouldn't have to write a letter asking for my results.

I asked to be transferred to her supervisor. After the Rep arguing with me, she finally transferred me. I was transferred to Rose (Supervisor - no last name) and she asked me all my information. I said, "I have provided all my information to the prior agent and if I do that again, I do not want to be told the same thing." I explained that I am just looking to find out my dispute information. She asked for my info again and I provided it to Rose.

After all that done, she tells me I need to write a letter to them asking for the dispute resolution. I was LIVID! I said, "What did I just explain to you and why did I just provide you with my information again." Asked for her supervisor and unfortunately the business phone rang, so I had to hang up. I went to online chat again and explained the situation and asked for another alternative. They gave me another number 800-604-6570. I called the number and it's to order a credit report. You cannot get to a live person. What a great way to run a business.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I’ve spent two hours and 1 week on the phone trying to initiate a dispute. This because their website doesn’t work as advertised. Similar experience as all the recent calls. One lady asked for my ss #, birthdate and address over and over again. All while joking with someone else in the room. Finally got a confirmation number and a toll free number to call. Today I called the number and entered in all the required information. Then the voice said, “Thank you. Goodbye,” with the power these people have over our lives! Where is the accountability?

Original review: May 3, 2019

This company is not even located in the US. They Don't speak good English. They ask you for all your personal information on the phone. And then still ask you to send them a copy of your Social Security Card, and a copy of your Driver License. They must be out of their minds. Remember they are the ones who lost all our information to HACKERS! This company is located in the Philippines. The Main Office is located in Atlanta Georgia. They Don't care either! I am so disappointed in this broke down systems. And they have the power to judge US. And rate our credit score. Something must be done soon about EQUIFAX. I HOPE THEY ARE LISTENING.

Original review: May 3, 2019

About two years ago we got an email indicating Equifax had a security breach and our information was probably compromised, and they would provide us a year of security freeze on our account. That freeze was initially easy to place (Nov 2018). It was also easy for me, for my husband, to place security freezes with Experian and Transunion.

On April 26, I call Equifax and asked to have the freeze lifted as my husband was applying for a loan for a lawnmower. The loan was in his name only. Lifting the freeze with the other two credit bureaus, online, was easy. Lifting with Equifax was a nightmare. I could not do it online even though I credited an account for my husband. I had to call, give the phone to my husband, then answer tons of questions about loans we had years and years ago. I did have our credit report from Equifax so thank God I was able to answer the detailed questions. I did have to give the phone to my husband to verify the rep could talk to me. We lifted the freeze, finally, until July 1 2019. The loan went through fine.

Called yesterday, May 2 to put the freeze back on and horror erupted. The rep told us he had to talk ONLY to my husband, that getting permission for my husband to let me talk to rep in his place was not acceptable. Rep's accent was so strong my husband could not understand or hear him and the call ended up with rep asking us to SEND him vital driver's license, social security numbers, etc., through the mail. No, I won't. I tried to put the freeze back on through their website, with my husband's login info and keep getting message, day after day, site is down, try again later. This company is bogus. No wonder they had a security breach. I am reporting them to whomever I can find to take action for me.

Original review: May 3, 2019

As far as I can tell they screwed up my info so when I do a credit search I don't exist with Equifax. Transunion and Experian handle my needs flawlessly. Every time I call them it's another idiot, I've tried calling with my banker who has my entire credit history. Still idiots.

Original review: April 29, 2019

My dispute has been ready for over 3 weeks now, and the company is suppose to mail my results. Instead they want me to view electronically on a website that’s been nonworking for over 2 weeks. I’m now being held up for a month based off results from a disputed I placed a month ago. The customer service is nasty and rude and refuses to help or offer any alternatives to solving my problem. I also will report to Better Business Bureau as well.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I filed a dispute with them about my report info. Email response said, "Investigation complete. Log in to Equifax to see results," -exactly as is reported elsewhere here. Equifax system is impenetrable. Horrors to think this nightmare sham organization has access to our "secure" data. Easy to see how it was breached. Unbelievable that our government is too busy playing games with each other to address real outrage. CLOSE THIS OPERATION ASAP AND LOCK THEM UP! Idiots and crooks the lot of them. And I'm not talking about just Washington's finest.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Unfroze my credit in less than 5 minutes on Experian and TransUnion. I've been on the phone all week with Equifax and still not getting anyplace. Their reps are unhelpful and unknowledgeable. They don't seem to do any case documentation to speak of and their own internal processes seem to contradict each other. I received a DocuSign document to correct some information on my report only to be told on my very next call that Equifax does not accept any DocuSign information. Who did I send my information to?

Original review: April 26, 2019

For 2 months, I've been trying to access Equifax's Dispute Center on their website, and, get nothing but the "currently service is unavailable" message. I finally paid Experian, which offered access to all 3 Credit Bureaus, and, sent my dispute. My dispute claim was completed, but, the email link to their website still gives me the "service unavailable" message. Their live chat isn't live at all. It's a series of pre-designated, computer-generated answers. The operators, at the number it gave me to call, don't have access to any of your file information, and, they tell you to keep trying the website. These are the people who control the information, and assign a score, that influence your life decisions. Based on their Customer Service, I can't imagine how they're legally allowed to operate.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I will have to say that to representatives that I spoke with today on April 25th, 2019 was very unprofessional on so many different levels. I called three different times and spoke with three different people and you could not understand either one of them. One guy sounded like he was talking to someone else while trying to ask me questions. The fact that I am a nurse and don't have a lot of time on my breaks I tried explaining that to him and it was like he didn't care. I asked to speak to his supervisor and was on hold for over 30 mins. To me that is bad management.

Then they had to nerve to tell me in order to get my results from the investigation that I would have to fax a copy of my social security number and driver license with other information. I nicely explained that it was not safe to do that and that it was also a HIPAA Violation to send that kind of information by mail or through a fax. I have never had to deal with unorganized, unprofessional people in my life. I really wish they would teach them how to speak English as well. I have to say that I started my phone call with them at 9 pm and by 12 am I still have no results. I guess I will have to contact my attorney friends and see if they can light a fire under their bottom.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Called to unfreeze my account. Unfortunately, they were difficult to understand. Questions were not poorly worded and vague. Tried 3x with 3 different individuals all with accents that were difficult to understand. Denied 3x and now have to give multiple forms of ID etc etc etc by mail and then wait for approval. It took me less than 5 minutes to unfreeze my TransUnion and then Experian accounts. Very frustrating. Whatever you do don't deal with Equifax. They are not in America and will not help you.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I wrote a complaint against Equifax saying they were a fraud. You could never get anyone on the phone as all calls were sent overseas, though the company is based in ATLANTA, GA. This month my credit score mysteriously dropped 83 points without just cause so I called the DOJ and filed a formal complaint. These people are doing this to Americans trying to rebuild their credit scores and they're not even an American owned company. Hopefully the company will be fined and sold and restructured again. I would everybody exploited by Equifax to do the same.

Original review: April 22, 2019

For the last 4 weeks I have been trying to get Equifax to cooperate with my mortgage broker to release my credit report to them. I'm attempting to get pre-qualified for a mortgage because I am moving to another city in June. They're putting me in a position that I could very well have difficulty even renting because they are not releasing my report. I have provided all the information that they have asked for including sending in my driver's license and social security number. They tell me that the information that I am giving them for their security questions is incorrect.

I could remember the bank that I had my last mortgage with 10 years ago but I couldn't remember the exact amount of my mortgage. So I gave them a ballpark within $200. They wouldn't accept it so the next time I called I had pulled my TransUnion report because they give you the exact amount of your payments. They tried to tell me that I was giving them the wrong information which is complete ** because I was reading it right off my TransUnion credit report. My credit repair service told me that Equifax was the worst credit reporting agency and had the poorest rating and the most complaints. I am so frustrated with him I can't express enough my anger. They literally are putting me in a very compromising position for me to move to another city. I'm at this point going to get an attorney involved.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been trying to get my address updated for about 3 wks. First two times, they said that they never received the fax. I'm still waiting on the last try. Three to five business days. No way to contact the mailroom to even check to see if they received it. It's a waiting game. Equifax is the worst of the three major credit companies. Supervisors can't help either. When you fax information it goes to the mailroom and sits there until they decided to upload the documents.

Original review: April 12, 2019

So I'm just reading all these reviews after many months of attempting to resolve a credit freeze issue with Equifax, and the story being told by everyone else is EXACTLY as it's played out for me too. Equifax can never 'verify my identity' despite being given exact data I'm reading off a balance or account sheet. At one point, I read the account number off my bank statement to Equifax and they still came back with, 'I'm sorry we cannot verify your identity because they information you provided is not correct.' This is criminal. Then they demand that you MAIL IN your social security card, credit card numbers, bank account info, passport, and more.... Does that not sound unsafe to anybody else??

Now, for the last 4 days I've been attempting to reach an agent and have heard (for four consecutive days, and 13 logged phone call attempts), 'I'm sorry our system is currently updating. Please call back in 30 minutes to one hour' from every. Single. Agent. Every. Single. Time. But I think I have it figured out. I'm betting that Equifax lost everyone's data. Think about it. They lost everyone's data and in order to get it back, they're forcing you to re-submit all your documents by mail, or answer questions about your account's history that they SHOULD have on record. Instead they're probably just re-inputting all that data again. Re-collecting, in hopes they can re-build people's accounts before any word gets out that they don't have the data.

This would explain not only the scheme they're running, but also why every. Single. Agent. Is out of the country. I've asked agents on the phone, "where are you located?" Agent: "Indiana." Me: "Where in Indiana." Agent: "I'm sorry sir I cannot provide you with that information." This is criminal behavior and it's utterly enraging that we are FORCED to have our credit accounts impacted by this company. The federal government needs to shut this down.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've had the same experience that others have had. This started 4 months ago, and continues to escalate. I sent in all the required photocopies of my social security card, my driver's license and utility bill as well as a cover letter explaining what needed to be changed. Of course get the usual email as everybody did saying it was changed. Along with this, I get a credit report with many inaccuracies as well as the wrong social security number yet again. All the same things that everybody else went through the site tells me they can't recognize me. The company says they never got the information, send it again which I refuse to do. I've been on the phone with non English-speaking people.

I don't know how many times including today wrong numbers given to call back. When I get someone on the phone I said they can't verify my identification even though I'm giving them the correct answers. Website also says it does not recognize me. All of this to no avail. I don't understand how this is still allowed. There are over a thousand complaints on this site alone. I guess my next step will have to be to contact an attorney to straighten them out, and I don't even know if that will help. Experian and Transunion seem to be on the ball and fix problems problems in a timely manner. I don't understand why any government oversight agencies haven't attended to this as yet.

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg