3.4/5 (878 ratings)

About Equifax

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Customer service is awful, inconsistent and uninformed. It seems they all read from a script. Supervisors are of no help as well. My credit report was frozen due to no fault of my own, yet I'm being negatively affected by it. It's impossible to handle it via online or by phone if you can't prove who you are. Their record keeping department is an absolute joke. For an institution as vital as they are to the individual's day to day functioning, you'd think they'd have a system in place to verify identity rather easily. In comparison, TransUnion and Experian rarely have any issues. Faxing or mailing social security cards and Identification is cumbersome and dangerous yet it's the only method available if they claim your Identification is in question. Even still, fax and mail often avail nothing. I'm totally frustrated that a simple task like renting an apartment is hindered due to this bureau's incompetence.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

On 1/3/22, Equifax dropped my credit score by 67 points for no reason. I’ve never been late on a payment in my life, literally nothing changed and they did this. This company needs to be investigated immediately.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Equifax dropped my credit score substantially low by 53 points for absolutely no reason and no explanation is shown as to why. Equifax is the worst and should be sued for these inaccurate inappropriate decisions on their behalf with my credit. This needs to be addressed immediately before any more damage to my credit is done.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I've been trying to correct errors on my credit bureau reports and keep hitting walls. I had surgery for a broken leg in 2020 and again in 2021. Bills were sent via email, then when I didn't see them they were sent to collections before I could pay. I explained the circumstances and paid them, and the collection company removed references to them.

Transunion showed them removed without a trace of negative the NEXT DAY (12/2/21, because there were extenuating circumstances). Experian and Equifax have not! I've disputed them ALL and each dispute is somehow "verified as accurately reported", sometimes within hours of me disputing them - in the middle of the night! I disputed several at approximately 11 p.m. and they were cleared by 2:30 a.m.

Equifax shows my date of birth a year EARLIER and won't correct it. They also still have me "married to...", my ex husband! We've been divorced over 10 years and they refuse to correct this! Additionally, I reviewed free people search dot com and found this EXACT information there for the public to see!!! I KNOW IT'S THEM and they're either selling our information or they own the website! I'm so frustrated dealing with these morons who have so much power in their hands to destroy lives! My next step is to file a Federal complaint, and then get an attorney engaged! It is ridiculous to make people work so hard to get their own credit reported correctly.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I was a victim of identity theft and wanted to report it to the three credit agencies and while the other two were seamless Equifax was impossible to deal with! They want to see my ID to prove my identity and that is ok but then they wanted it in either a PDF or Tiff file and I found that to be a minor hassle but even navigation of their site has much to be desired. I put in my info four times because it kept timing out and finally it locked me out. If they really cared taking a pic of the ID and attaching the pic is the quick & easy way to get this task done but they aren’t being very efficient here.

I ended up on the phone with them and being they have that info along with all my other personal information you would think that should have been enough to put a freeze & fraud alert on my credit report but not with this company. I just about feel like a Victim twice, once by internet hackers and once by Equifax. End result is Equifax wins because I no longer care to do business with them nor do I care about their dopey FICO scores. If losing customers is a winning strategy then Equifax is a winner. I am done with them and hope they go out of business.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I have NEVER had such a bad experience. Two years and they can't spell my name right after asking several times. I have to change my password every time for some reason they don't know. Calling is worse. These people just don't get it. The very worst customer service I have ever seen. If someone from Equifax reads this for heaven's sake please help me get this straight once and for all. I do not recommend Equifax. Wow. Unreal.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I was denied a credit card for TJ Maxx through Synchrony bank. I have Credit Karma. I also have Experian. For some reason my credit score showed 294 however that is not my credit score and for every number I was given I could not speak to anyone who could give me any answers to answer my questions on the paper for which I was denied. Nothing matched up to what they were claiming but they want you to pay to have an account. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I would give 0 star if I can. Worst company. They made errors about my file. They provided Wrong SIN number, phone number, addresses and even wrong financial records of my report, which prevent me getting a mortgage from banks. I have let them know for 15 days already and told them it is urgent and I need for a house, but they still can’t fix it. I can’t get the mortgage because of their data breach or hacking. Government or any legal authority please investigate this company as soon as possible.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Worst company to deal with forever. They messed up my wife's information with another person that has the same name, that one has a few mortgages, for this reason it prevented us from getting mortgage approval even after we put deposit in for a house we were interested in. Called many times to Equifax, no

help, just asked us to wait. The house buying process has limited mortgage applying period, so we have to afford the loss. This is so ridiculous, what a ** company and so many people and bank institution rely on!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Do NOT purchase a credit report with Equifax or subscribe to their credit report services. It has been a nightmare dealing with Equifax these past 4 months. I first purchased my credit report in August. Based on how Equifax's website is set up, you're automatically subscribed to a monthly $20.95 payment plan. In August, I never received my credit report. It was not accessible on my online account, and I never received a physical copy either. I contacted Equifax, and the customer service rep indicated there was a glitch on their system and that they would "escalate" my request so that I could access my report. The rep told me that I should hear back within 6 business days. I never did.

In September, I was charged again for another credit report. Again, I never received this report. In October and November, I got charged again for credit reports that I never received. I contacted Equifax two more times in October and November. In October, the rep once again told me that I should hear back within a few days of them "escalating" my request. I did not. In November, the rep told me that my "escalation" request was still in progress with Equifax's budget/finance team. At this point, I was no longer interested in receiving my credit reports and just wanted to cancel my subscription and get a refund. However, the customer rep told me that they could not cancel my subscription or offer me a refund without "escalating" the request.

There is no option for you to cancel your subscription online, so Equifax forces you to go through their call centre to cancel while they continue to charge your account in the meantime. It is not considered an escalation when it takes Equifax over 4 months to resolve a simple issue of getting a consumer report to the customer or to cancel/issue a refund.

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor