Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.88/5

Equifax Reviews

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Calling is a joke - no one can speak English & provide no assistance. Have been filing disputes since 2017 on fraudulent items & inquiries that have been made without my consent all while a Legislative Credit Freeze & report being locked. Have filed disputes with Equifax directly & through the Consumer Federal Protection Bureau. Equifax's standard reply is to contact the companies directly which I have. Half of them will not reply & others have sent letters w/no knowledge. All of been sent with the disputes to both Equifax & CFPB. Security is a joke as well. If you have both a lock & Legislative Credit Freeze, no one should be able to access your credit w/out obtaining your permission, etc. I have excellent credit & I get a notification that someone has accessed my credit and Equifax does nothing. They should be held liable for their actions.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Nobody here knows how to speak English and they don't know what they are doing. It is absolutely petrifying to me that this credit bureau has the ability to impact people's lives based on the customer service Representatives that answer their telephone. This place should not be in business and people should not rely on this company to report accurate information. When they do disputes they simply ask the creditor, "Is this account accurate? Yes or no?". That's it. The representative who can barely speak English told me they don't ask for anything else at all. The creditor just responds with a simple "yes" and the credit account is considered accurate. If all the creditor has to do to prove the accuracy of your data is simply say "yes" then what is the point of this credit Bureau?

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

First of all the people who answer the phone can barely speak English. And 3 phone call transfers later I'm back where I started. Just wasted 1.5 hours of my life. What a joke. Get transferred to another department, wait on hold for 20 mins just for them to transfer me again and then wait on hold again over and over..

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Called because I could not log on and it told me to call a number. 3.5 hours later and 6 agents and back to square one. Not able to log on and they could not verify my identity. Experian and TransUnion have no issues and have stellar credit score with them. With Equifax there always is an issue of log on and wrong info reported... How is that possible?!? They need to have a negative star rating because this one definitely is...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I just wanted to unfreeze my credit. Every time I try to log on to my account they send me to Customer Care. Last time I called them I had to do it over the phone. This is the worst Credit Bureau ever. They were suppose to unlock it last time but never did. Who runs this place?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I am so frustrated with this credit bureau! We have been working on fixing our credit for over a year now, my other credit bureaus have all positive information and up to date on everything. Equifax on the other hand, has been nothing but negative and do NOT report accurate information!! I recently had my credit pulled to get pre approved for a house loan, my others drop max 5 points, Equifax drops my points by 64!! I HATE their service and how inaccurate and hard they are on your report. :(

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Saw a ad saying I could get my credit report free just by calling Equifax at 1888 548 7878 so I called to get mine. The person who answered said I could get my credit report free but I would need to give him my information such as my social security number, address, phone # and my date of birth. I normally don't give out this information but since it was a big company like Equifax and you don't have any choice if you want the free credit report so I gave it to the representative.

I asked for my free report and that's when he became very rude and said he wasn't going to give me a free report and if I wanted it I would need to mail a request. I was completely lied to by the false advertising all the way to the lying representative for Equifax. I tried to speak to a supervisor but was treated terribly by their representatives who you could tell never report complaints to corporate and apparently MARK BERGER IS just so wonderful if you read his profile but he obviously doesn't care about the people or their feelings. The very people who have no choice but to call this bully company!!! Where is the inspector general?? Someone needs to look at the way Equifax treats the people since they're supposed to be trusted with our personal information!! Equifax is a bully!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I could not sign up to Equifax, I put in all the correct information and it said I would have to call customer service, so I called, they couldn't help there. The rep which was not American, with a heavy accent that could barely be understood, told me she would have to 'escalate it to her supervisor' whatever that means, and I would be contacted by email. After a few days this is what I got. "We appreciate the opportunity to address this matter and apologize for any inconvenience you have had so far accessing your myEquifax account. Upon further review, the option to utilize the online website, MyEquifax is not available to you." Basically, I can never have a Equifax account. As far as I am concerned, two credit bureaus are more than enough, especially when the third is so incompetent, and based on reviews online I think everyone agrees.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

The statement in the summary is what my opinion of a phone conversation I had with a customer service rep who called me back after spending the better part of the day attempting to have a fraudulent card removed from my account! After I finally got him to understand my problem (very difficult as English wasn't his strong suit & am putting it mildly as had to have him repeat almost every word his main & only concern was to sell me monitoring service)! His next comment blew my mind as he said I was talking to the wrong department. I responded with question, "am I speaking to customer service?" Then his conversation wasn't understandable forcing me to hang up! As for the above summary who is to know if Equifax is adding cards to account to panic customers to purchase their monitoring service! Big businesses aren't honest anymore as it's all about the dollars! In other words who guards the fox???

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

First of all Equifax is absolutely the worst credit bureau to have business with. It took me several months to proof my identity and receive a free annual credit report. 1. The first attempt was online. I entered all required information and answered verification messages, but the system displayed the message, “Online Delivery Unavailable” and information about how to request the report by mail.

2. On the next day I called Equifax customer service and was advised to FAX or MAIL a copy of my SSN card and ID. What year is it?! I faxed the documents as advised anyway. A week or so later, I called Equifax customer service again and was informed that the faxed documents were received but illegible. Later, I received a letter in the mail from Equifax telling me that they were unable to locate my credit file in their database and I needed to provide two items of verification. Moreover, the letter stated that SSN card with a note “Work Permit Only” is not a valid proof of SSN, but W-2 is! They literally say that SSN card with such a note issued by the US government is not a valid document! I mailed the documents as they requested. The letter also listed two addressed where to mail the documents to and only one turned out to be a correct one!

3. Later, I called Equifax customer service twice and spoke with two representatives and a supervisor to confirm that the mailed documents were received. The first representative informed me that the documents were not in the system and I was advised to send the documents again! The next day I called again and another representative informed me that the documents were received, but they were not uploaded into the system. Since the explanations I was given were unclear and confusing, I requested to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor did not provide any clear answers either. During both calls I insisted that they start an investigation to look for my mail, since it had my very sensitive personal information in it, and since the USPS tracking information showed that the mail had been delivered.

EQUIFAX LOSES A MAIL WITH YOUR VERY SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION AND DOESN'T EVEN BOTHER TO SEARCH FOR IT! It also appears that Equifax customer service representatives as mostly located in India which made it additionally insecure since you have to tell them your SSN and most of the time it’s very hard to hear what they say or explain. I myself immigrated to the US, but even I suffer when I have to deal with very thick accents when I try to speak about very important business.

4. Several days later I received another letter in the mail from Equifax stating that Equifax needed additional information again to verify my identity and address.

Next, I tried to request my annual credit report online again, and I was asked to answer four verification questions about information on my credit report. However, not a single question applied to me. I had to answer “None of the above” to each question. The system then showed a message explaining that I must request a credit report by mail.

5. My last attempt was before I I was going to file a complaint against them with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and maybe later hire an attorney was to mail my documents for the final time. I wrote an explanatory letter with details of my previous attempts to receive a free annual credit report and sent it with other documents. I informed them that I have all the correspondence I sent to them and received from them, and I also reminded them that they must be compliant with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Finally, after months of stress and despair I received my free annual credit report. It looked like Equifax did not have neither my previous address nor current address on the file since both addresses had a remark "Reported: date I last mailed the documents".

In comparison, I was able to request and see my free annual credit report online with TransUnion and Experian with no hassle or any trouble. So far, I find TransUnion the best to work with, Experian is also all right, but Equifax is the worst of the worst! Also, when my husband passed away, I mailed to all their credit bureaus a letter about his passing and a copy of death certificate. TransUnion was the first one to confirm that they received my letter, Experian was the second one to respond, but Equifax as you probably already guessed has never confirmed anything!

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg