1.03/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1069 Equifax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This is a terrible company. Why would I waste my time calling over a simple question they can’t even answer without sending my life story in. When will my credit update was the question and I had to give everything up for an answer!!! Terrible, terrible company. I hope the owner sees this and realized that India isn’t the place. 1 you can’t understand them and 2 you can’t even answer a questions that is so simple to answer!!! Never will I ever use you guys for anything ever!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Recently, I found that this company cannot even keep my name straight. In addition, their records show the wrong name for my previous employer and the wrong address for a PO Box I used in the past. After sending multiple letters and documentation showing my name in passport, Social Security Card and driver's license, I still have not managed to get my name corrected. To add insult to injury, in their latest dispute confirmation letter (1/11/2019), they even deleted my previous employment record. It is remarkable that an organization designated as an identity-and-credit arbiter, can be this inept at acquiring and keeping accurate information on us. The US Congress should investigate their function and purpose in an effort to make them more accountable for safeguarding our information.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

The worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. First of all, every call taker is based in India. Equifax is an American company holding highly sensitive data about nearly every American and they are putting a foreign country in charge of all our private information including addresses, employment information, social security numbers, salary info, credit card data, etc. None of these three agencies should be outsourcing our personal American data to any foreign country or vice versa. We don't have Americans holding the financial information of every Indian citizen in their hands. Think about that for a minute. Cleary they do this to save money, however, they are putting all of our financial data at risk, which may be why they have had so many security breaches in the past.

What are the statistics on identity theft and fraud? Yet, the American government allows these companies with such sensitive data to outsource all of it to poorly paid, incompetent people out of the country! This is total insanity. Who has more to gain by selling American data? For two years now when I have tried to access my annual report, I get an error from Equifax, even though the other two agencies ask the same info. I am not alone. Thousands of people have the same problem. We are all then asked to send copies of our Driver's Licenses and Social Security cards via fax or regular mail. Then we have to verify our data again with customer service reps over open telephone lines providing things like our full social security number, addresses, date of birth, and personal security questions, that could easily be hacked or sold.

Even after all of that, they will only mail a hard copy of your credit report in "7 to 10 business days." Another security risk. You cannot access your report online to dispute the plethora of inaccurate data they have. Both TransUnion and Experian offer online dispute recording and resolution. With Equifax, you have to mail in or call in your disputes and speak with a ESL rep. Something needs to be done with this system. Hire fewer American call takers to handle our data and make sure they are trained in the handling of sensitive data. Hackers are constantly blamed for breaches, however, just like store theft, most loss comes from within a company or organization.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Took 2 days and 6 phone calls to finally get freeze off of our account to lease our car. How can this company continue to stay in business. Horrible service representatives who come across as uncaring. How do I go about getting the freeze permanently removed?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

This company "if you can call it that" should not be in business. Especially if they dealing with "YOUR" private data. They never get anything right. Their website login never works right. They will call personal loan companies home mortgage companies and have even people with close to your same name's stuff on your credit and take months to fix it when they admit that they did it by "accident" just because of the name. Hello we have different Social Security numbers!!! I could go on and on but I'll let you decide.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

These folks are the biggest dealers in private information in the world. They are notoriously incompetent and intentionally unhelpful in everything they do. Never put a freeze on your credit with them. They will use it to sell you services and will make it next to impossible for you to remove the freeze.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Recently, run a credit check for my Apple product with Equifax via Citizens One Loan, I got a decline saying not able to pull up my credit file. Upon talking to Customer Care Agent and Supervisor Amanda from EQUIFAX, I got to know they wanted to verify my personal information like my full name, SSN, current address, DOB and what not (which I gave them over a call, that to a couple of times), as they didn't have correct information on their records and I was asked to submit my personal documents over email/fax. All I asked was a return email from Equifax stating that they are not able to pull my records and hence asking me to send my personal documents via fax/email. I was ready to share my documents copy if they reached out to me via email.

Also, I wonder what difference will it make if I had sent those documents immediately, as all these documents will state the same thing what I gave them several times over phone call. And according to them, they are not able to pull up my report at all so who they were going to fix it. Wondering if they are creating their own credit reports or what??

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Never authorize a security freeze with Equifax. I have now tried several times over several months and they simply cannot find me in their system. As a 50+ year old I have had credit for decades and to have some 'customer service' rep in a foreign country that I must be mistaken about previously having credit is a total waste of everyone's time! I have provided 5 previous addresses, a TX driver's license, my SSN, my birthdate and my freaking shoe size and they still can't find me but they are still refuse to allow potential creditors access to my "non-existent" credit report. I repeat, NEVER authorize Equifax to place security freeze on your account if you EVER want to purchase a house or car again! They provide the absolutely WORST service from any company with whom I have dealt!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was never told that my Equifax account had a security freeze placed on it until I tried to lease a car. What is the purpose of these credit monitoring companies? Seriously? When the dealer ran my score I had excellent scores from the other 2 agencies, but my Equifax had a freeze on it. So I called customer service and spent a LONG time in their automated crap service. All that did was waste 30 minutes. Then I went online and tried to figure this out. The other 2 credit agencies were easy to navigate and I could see that everything was fine with my account with them. Equifax online gave me an error and a phone number to call.

Equifax online did give me one option: sign up for $4.99/1st month and then $19.99/month afterwards. "Cancel any time within the 1st 30-days to avoid auto charging of my credit" or something to that effect. I felt I didn't have a choice, so I started signing up. Then their system locked up on me halfway through the signup process. So now I'm paranoid to try to sign up again, because I believe they would charge me for 2 accounts. And I can only imagine how difficult it will be to cancel the accounts once they are established.

This number rang through to India, or somewhere rather fast. At first, I was thrilled to be able to speak with another human. Until the attitude bomb was dropped on me within 30-seconds. Whoa! I kept my cool and tried to deal with the English as a 2nd Language guy on the end of the line. After giving him my address, date of birth, social security number 3 times he finally said he cannot help me and I would have to send in a written request for them to take action. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? This is 2018. I have to send a paper request in. Insane.

If there is a major problem with my credit I believe I should have a right to know right away. I would go so far to say that Equifax should have an obligation to let me know what the problem is. AGAIN - WHAT DOES THIS COMPANY EVEN DO? I then asked the Equifax guy how long this process would take and he told me that they would "respond" to me in 30-days. Huh??? I have an excellent credit score and I cannot think about getting a car for 30+ days. How is this possible? I was so floored that I told the guy that he was of no use to me and I thought I hung up the phone. Then I let my feelings flow out in a series of curses.

Next, I hear the guy admonish me for my use of foul language. So I can only imagine that he put my bad mojo on my credit report and I'm going to have to beg forgiveness to the credit Gods in India. I can't imagine why they put this freeze on my account, but I am not happy I was not notified about it. And I am even less happy that I am now in a car-less position because of Equifax.

And worst of all - this is the only place I can vent my frustrations. If I could I would FIRE EQUIFAX and never let them around my credit information again. But they are a nameless faceless monster and I can't impact them whatsoever. I am extremely flustered. 1 star was too high of rating for the experience I just had in every way possible. Bad automated phone system. Bad online help system. Bad customer service support. Terrible problem resolution (send in a written request). NONEXISTENT notification of the credit freeze (I don't even know if I have a real problem). Charging me to sign up for monthly service ($19.99/month) to see what the problem is. What does this company do to protect me? To protect business? To protect America? I can only hope that Karma will find their business and place the same pain upon them that they dish out. UGHHHH.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

About 2 weeks ago I called TransUnion and Experian to have a fraudulent account disputed and removed from my credit report, both of those experiences went smoothly. So today I decided to call Equifax with the same dispute. I waited 2 weeks because of various reasons: work, plus I’ve heard they’re difficult to deal with so I needed to wait until I had a day off... Anyway I eventually got placed on a line with a non-English speaking gentleman (go figure) who couldn’t understand anything I was saying, making the multiple security questions a 2 hour long process to get through. By the time I had verified who I was to their satisfaction, I was finally able to tell them I wanted a 9,000 charge from Alliance One removed based on false information.

They told me they cannot remove the account, and tried to give me Alliance One number and I explained to them I already called Alliance One with the number they listed on my TransUnion account and that they said they didn’t handle my account and transferred me to multiple other numbers who also didn’t handle the account. So the number was wrong to begin with hence my dispute. The gentleman from Equifax wanted the number I called, but I could not give it to them as it was on my TransUnion report which has since been removed (I called 2 weeks prior to this) so I no longer had access to the phone number. It was like this guy was trying to protect Alliance One and not help me.

So by this time I was getting upset. I asked him why he was giving me such a hard time about something that I’ve already had removed by 2 other major credit agencies. I told him I didn’t appreciate the runaround and how he was trying to keep false information on my account. I told him how it negatively affects my day to day life (and that if and when Alliance One decides to report accuracy on my account that they can at any time). So why give me such a difficult time about having it removed in the meantime? It was absolutely the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered. They do not care about you!!! Only about the credit agencies reporting false information. They do everything in their power to keep it on your account!!! Absolutely insane that the government allows this **.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

It's VERY easy to commit fraud and freeze your account after fraud with Equifax, but when it comes to clearing the fraud from your name and unfreezing it, it's virtually impossible. Every customer service department has given us the runaround, the website won't allow you to create/use a login. You have to unfreeze or dispute anything. All in all, it's been over 12 years, we've faxed them (mail or fax are the only options), all the documents they've requested, numerous times. We've wasted days (not hours, but DAYS) on the phone and we've come no closer to having a clear credit record or a record that an agency can check (due to the freeze) when we need it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My credit score has dropped over 100 points in the last 6 months even though nothing has changed and I havent missed a payment. It is 100 points lower than TransUnion. I filed a dispute over a month ago and havent heard anything back. Trying to get through to a person to talk to has been near impossible. I finally got a hold of a person and I've been put on hold 4 times. No answers. No information on my dispute. I hate that this credit bureau has the power to ruin my ability to get a mortgage or a loan and yet isn't accountable to anyone and doesn't even make an effort to be available to customer inquiries. The only way to get a hold of anyone is mail or fax? What year is it?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Today I received another one of Equifax's stupid "Credit Monitoring Alert" emails. I logged in to my account to review the alert. As always, it was another content -free bunch of jibberish about a bank I've never heard of doing something to an unidentified account. Against my better judgement, I called the "Customer Care Team" phone number provided in the email. An hour and a half later, after speaking to two call center reps and two "supervisors," I still don't have a clue as to what this alert is all about. It's no wonder these idiots were hacked!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I urge anyone with issues to report them to https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/. Equifax keeps changing the dates of old debts, doesn't investigate correctly, put a fraud alert on my report which I did not request. No changes and my score dropped 70 points. I keep disputing and nothing changes. I cannot log in to my report online.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My credit score has dropped almost 50 points in the past month. When I go into my report it shows no changes. I have not done anything to my credit. I have no new loans, credit cards or any type of new credit opened. No new delinquent accounts. And I am in good standing with my accounts. I called Equifax and they could not explain to me why this happened. My credit score was actually getting better. I have reviewed the report... No changes but score has dropped 50 points or more for no reason.

This company needs to be investigated. This has just been in the past month. I also have accounts that should be closed in collections that should be closed and I have disputed one account several times as fraudulent and they won't remove it. Transunion has dropped my score also about only like 11 points due to a company closing out an account because they stopped using that credit card company and went with another without notifying me. I have excellent standings with this company. Payments have never been late but because they did that it dropped my score. It's not fair because it wasn't closed by me or because it was delinquent. I shouldn't have to pay for something they did!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

This garbage agency FROZE MY WIFE'S CREDIT WITHOUT HER ASKING THEM TOO! Getting them to change back is horrible. They are making her fax a bunch of documents to prove that it's her. The worst, something needs to be done with it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

From my experience Equifax is the worst credit bureau agency. I can't properly interact with them most of the time I attempt to because everything I know about myself isn't good enough for what's on their record. Even though the questions they have on their record doesn't have anything about me, completely inaccurate. I put in dispute after dispute for the same two collections on my credit that's showing opened but was closed on the other two credit agencies file because of a bankruptcy I had back in 2016. It's almost 2019 in a few weeks.

They send me an email saying the dispute was completed but have yet to see the change in my credit report. It's still showing a open status even though the balance owed is 0 and the overdue balance is 0. On top of that that put the icing on the cake they go and have a breach. So an agency that's garbage in the first place now have a breach with access to literally the whole nation's sensitive information. Useless and should not be used for people credit.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

My spouse and I tried to place freezes on our accounts online, got messages that the requests did not go through and to call the toll-free number. We spoke to customer service (sounded like a call center in India) and verified all our information, they said that they needed to "update information" before they could process anything. They already have all this, but they won't reveal what needs "updating". Both other credit agencies placed the freezes immediately, no problem.

Equifax cannot even access information related to us. In the past few months, we've been rejected for two credit cards after hard inquiries thru Equifax. The credit rating for each of us is over 800. Those applications were rejected because Equifax couldn't confirm anything, certainly NOT because we aren't deserving of more credit. And now they cannot process a simple freeze.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I called Equifax 6 times to remove a credit freeze. It is still showing up. I have been turned down for credit because of this. When I call, I have to explain the same thing over and over. It is frustrating. I have been told about the updating of their system. And, when I said, "for 3 months?", the representative was silent. They know what is going on. They aren't doing a good job of damage control. You cannot view the results (I was receiving them every day with different reference numbers) only to get a message, "Your file cannot be accessed, try later. You cannot upload information anymore."

The bottom line is they do not want to service the consumer. They are in the information selling business not the fix consumer error business. And, for the collection agencies who want to get stupid when the information is wrong, you can call an Attorney I used. His name is Samuel **. His number is **. He is known as the Credit Sheriff. No nonsense and your situation will get resolved. No upfront fees, he sues and you will get a settlement. I am sick of these games.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I froze my credit with all 3 bureaus due to Equifax's reprehensible security breach. Now I need to lift the freeze and they can't/won't do it. I submitted the proper online information, it says the lift has taken place, and yet, when a company tries to run my credit, Equifax continues to report a freeze. I have called Equifax 4 times now, and every time they say that their system is updating and they can't access my account for an hour. It's been 3 days, and every time they tell the same lie. Their system is clearly overloaded and they don't have the structure necessary to meet demand, so they just lie to consumers to push everyone off. Last I left it, a manager is supposed to call me back. I'll update this review and eat my hat if that every happens.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I froze my credit account after the security breach at Equifax. I'm in the process of refinancing and I have attempted to lift the freeze on several occasions without success. Their representatives are not well trained and their supervisors, instead of resolving issues just send you back to the automated phone number placing you once again at square one. After my initial call I was told the freeze would be lifted later that day and after the second call I was told to submit proof of identity via fax to a number that didn't work at which time I was then told to email the documents after I was initially told I could not.

Every time you inquire you get a different response regarding how long it will take to lift the freeze. No one in this company seems to know what they're doing. There is no way that any group of people as stupid, lazy and incompetent should have access to anyone's personal information. Given what I've experienced I'm not at all surprised that there was a breach and the personal information of millions has been potentially compromised.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

On my Equifax report I have debt collector Pinnacle llc collecting for Verizon wireless in 2014. I have made 3 dispute claims with Equifax and Pinnacle and it still remains on my report. First attempt 2017, second July 2018, & Oct 2018. Each complaint gets returned correct debtor. That is not factual. I'm telling Equifax & Pinnacle. It's fraud and filed with the FTC for documentations. I spoke to Pinnacle () whom was uncooperative to my needs to have this remove violating my rights to obtain information they deem proves the account is mine. I want this report gone just like Transunion has done as well as Experian and with only one dispute filed.

Please give me support in mediating and exercising my Fair Credit Rights. 3 disputes and will not remove. It is ridiculous. Last checked with Equifax 10/29/18 pending investigation. 11/7/18 Amy from Pinnacle advised me that the determination of the debt was confirmed fraud and had notified Equifax. I made contact with Equifax and I'm getting mixed stories, some found the permission to remove the debt, others claim it's not submitted yet. I'm being told now that allegedly Experian had launched a dispute (Experian declines the accusation). I told them what I was told after confronting Experian by phone. Equifax does not comply with the law. I'm even victim of the data breach 2017. I can not believe the struggle I'm undergoing to prove that I'm not liable or responsible for this debt. Pinnacle says it's charged off 11/7/18 but Equifax refuses to confirm!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Had to freeze credit history after EQUIFAX was hacked. Unfreezing was supposed to be easy requiring some data and PIN number. It has been anything but. Took SEVEN tries to unfreeze account when applying for a new credit card, plus many different customer service reps and supervisors over three days. Even then they failed and had to be called, again, to freeze it. Starting from ground zero again it took three reps to report the unfreeze. Never took place.

Second Unfreeze was worse. The "process" to identify myself did NOT involve the simple PIN. On the spot and w/o notice, you need to know mortgage information, Exact balances on credit cards you perhaps paid down to zero a few weeks ago, Balances on cards you canceled a decade ago, etc. They ask the same questions multiple times though you've replied the 1st time. EX. It's not acceptable to say you have a ZERO balance on a card you canceled ten years ago. What? The reps are from far east countries and are difficult to understand. I finally called OTHER phone numbers I got on the web and found one that easily took the PIN as was initially agreed to along with light other info. They also kept insisting I lived in Apartment instead of a house... Avoid Equifax. Miserable, time-consuming experience. No wonder they were originally hacked!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

After filing multiple disputes regarding an account showing current and joint, that was discharged in a bankruptcy nine years ago, I now cannot view my results. Apparently their website is as difficult to access as the customer service reps they utilize. I can understand how this agency had the leaks it did when they contract out overseas to put delicate information right into the hands of who knows! Furthermore the impact the misinformation they display has on our day to day lives. I don’t understand how the government allows them to stay in control! Well I have contacted an attorney and appropriate remedies will be sought should they not correct my information. Then to top it off after sending my proof in to them for my disputed issue certified mail along with a copy of proving my identity, they still can’t get my personal information right. Totally inconceivable!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I told them they had incorrect information on the credit record they have on file for me and provided proof. They sent me a notice that they had completed my dispute and gave me a link to review their results. To see the results I had to give them my name, address, social security number, birthdate, and address. They followed this with five so-called identity confirmation questions. I then received a message saying the information I had provided them is different than what they have on file so, they would not allow me to see the results of my dispute with them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

This is the bureau that leaked hundreds of millions of citizens' private information. So when you try to use their online services they force login errors, "Sorry we couldn't verify who you are at this time," to discourage users and provide an excuse for withholding services. And yet somehow if you buy a membership they can expedite the process. Just pure bullcrap and corruption.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This company is unprofessional and incompetent. My first call was Monday 10-29-18, while trying to get a new truck loan. First I tried to unfreeze my credit report via online. No success. When I called I was told the whole system was doing an update (in the afternoon on a business day, WTH) and I would have to wait 30 minutes and call back. When I did, of course had to go thru the whole list of questions and crap. When done, they said they lifted the freeze and I even got a confirmation #. The dealership tried multiple times to check credit. I went back on Tuesday late afternoon. AGAIN, I had to get online, but this time it let me log on. Got the freeze lifted for 7 days. Waited two days and multiple checks by the finance and dealership. Still no lift.

Thursday: First I went online and again LIFTED FREEZE. Called them to complain and to verify. First I was told that the supervisor was unavailable and I could wait or get call back. Decided to try to talk to MEKHI who answered the phone. After going thru their questions, again!! He told me it showed that my freeze was lifted. I complained about the multiple problems and said they were at fault. When I asked for MEKHI's employee number, then Lo & Behold, the supervisor comes on the line. (Thought he was busy?) He insisted it was not their error but the error of the GM Credit company. Then when I wanted to do their survey, I was disconnected. I hope I never have to do that again. I am signing up for LIFELOCK and getting rid of these freezes.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I pretty much had the same exact experience that Renee of Dallas, 10/25/18, had. I was applying for a 'Chase Freedom Visa Signature Card and Chase sent me a letter telling me that I had to call Equifax to either or temporarily my freeze on Equifax sharing my credit information with anyone. I put the freeze in place originally because of the massive security breach had a few years ago and all the local and national news talking heads told us that was one way to protect myself. So, I contacted Equifax per the number on Chase's letter. First they requested the 10 digit PIN on the letter they said they had sent me when I did the originally online freeze of the distribution of my credit info. Who the heck reads or keeps all the stuff that every entity under the sun sends you nowadays!? I don't know where the heck that letter is!

I asked them what else I could do to unfreeze my credit report. Then they started into the questions, and like Renee in Texas, I had a hard time understanding them. They asked me for my full name, my SS number, my date of birth and my home address. They started asking all kinds of other so-called security questions "to verify my identity". I asked why they needed that information (old mortgage accounts, old credit cards, etc) and, of course, they repeated that same mantra "to verify my identity". I told them that I didn't have information at hand on some of that old and, frankly, forgotten information, I asked them what else I could do to convince them that I am who I am. They repeated that they had to ask these security questions to move on with the process of approving my unfreeze of my original freeze.

I was getting very angry at this point and emphasized that I had already verified my full name, my SS number, my DOB and my home address so why isn't that enough to verify my identity? They repeated again, that I needed to answer the security questions "to verify my identity." I told them to get me a manager, which they did. Along with barely understanding the person on the other end of the call, they repeated exactly what the first person had told. I got angry with them and asked this manager what else I could do "to verify my identity". This time the manager told me that I needed to make a copy of my SS card, a copy of my driver's license/ID AND a cover letter of what I was requesting and why I was requesting it. They said that I could fax those copies to them.

I said that I didn't have access to a fax so I asked if I could send them PDF copies via email attachment. They said they did not accept emails with attachments. They did offer that I could send them copies via snail mail to 'Equifax Security Freeze Department' at PO Box 105788, Atlanta, GA 30348, which DID NOT match the address in Chase's letter to me. How would I have know this different address if I hadn't gotten to this point in the conversation? I am not going to make copies of my SS card and my driver's license/ID card to anyone! After all, maybe this is an elaborate scam or phishing attempt to get that information and then be able to easily duplicate my identity??? I wasn't born yesterday!

I called Chase and they pretty much told me that I had to play Equifax's game if I wanted to be considered for their card. They did not volunteer the alternative that maybe they can go to another one of the Big 3' credit verification companies. I will call them back to make that request. I am also going to report this entire situation to the Attorney General of Minnesota, Lori Swanson. She is a superb "voice of the private citizen" activist and has filed suit against many large organizations and companies. Maybe that will get Equifax's attention. I urge all of you disgruntled Equifax customers to do the same in your state. Ms Swanson collaborates with in your fight against this madness!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have a fraudulent account on my report and Equifax will not remove it. The other 2 reporting agencies removed it immediately, but this unethical agency will not. They say you can add comments but so far after 3 years, I cannot get anyone at this agency to do what they are legally required by law to do. Why is it that these big companies do not have to follow any laws? They clearly state the consumer rights, but the problem is getting them to comply. They just ignore the disputes saying they did the 'research'. How in the world do they decide a fraudulent account is not? Luckily, most lenders know this company is incompetent and do not even use their report system.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I went through Annualcreditreport.com and received two of the three reports, no problem. Equifax, however, would not provide it online and is trying to strong arm me into paying them from simply wearing me down with frustration in hopes I'll just pay to get what I want. The instructions clearly state, "If you close your browser it will no longer be available online." Great, got it! As I was filling out the security questionnaire a Chrome extension popped up. I closed the extension which caused the Equifax questionnaire to start over but did not close the browser and had never caused any problem with any other site before. I filled it out once again only to receive the message I would not be allowed to receive online now even though the browser itself was never closed.

Thinking they would understand and give me a break, I mean I just went online to get it free, how would allowing me to get it free five minutes later be any different? I would have two copies? Why is that a problem? TransUnion even allows you to save as a PDF so you could access over and over or make a trillion copies. If I was successful at getting an Equifax report I could make trillions of copies just by scanning into the printer, so…? It just makes zero sense except that they want to drive you crazy until you tap out and give them money. They’re withholding my information for ransom. How is this legal?!

I spoke to the first customer service rep who went over a ton of security questions. I answered them all. When he asked about my house loan I advised it was just sold from one bank to another. He asked what my balance was with the first bank and I repeated I no longer had a loan there so I would not have a balance there. He repeated this question like 10 times, not exaggerated until I finally yelled 'Zero!' and then he was ready to move on. Are you serious?! To top it off he ended with 'you'll have to get it in the mail in 7-10 business days'. Infuriating!! This is highly inappropriate behavior. I never asked these people to keep track of my personal information and now they're going to abuse me while I try to retrieve it? Wow, there are no words.

But wait, there's more... I asked to speak with a supervisor who started going back over the same security questions. I asked her why we needed to do this again as the previous rep had already spent 15 minutes of my time doing this. She said for security reasons. After MANY more questions, I stopped her and asked 'are you going to advise me I have to wait 7-10 days after I answer all these questions?' She said no. She needed to ask more questions first and continued. I answered all her questions only for her to then say... you guessed it. '7-10 business days'. This was my breaking point. Now I’m angry.

I calmed down and called back later. This rep advised that I needed to go to Equifax.com NOT annualcreditreport.com. I was not in front of my computer at the time so I followed her instructions later. The site has a link and it’s the only link to get your report. You guessed it… annualcreditreport.com. When I was researching how they are allowed to do this I found that Consumer Affairs showing one-star rating, so obviously I am not alone here. I hope a lawyer forms a class action lawsuit. This is certainly not right!!

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg