1.06/5

1036 Equifax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I called and went through my security questions and tried to dispute a hard inquiry on my account, they skipped over that and put a freeze on my credit account so I have to call anytime I want to use my credit. That was fine but they never helped with the hard inquiry, then they told me they never updated my name from when I got married 2 1/2 years ago. They made me talk to someone else who couldn't access my account using the same info I gave the last person. It went on like this for 45 min before they said they would transfer me to a supervisor of the supervisor because they were incompetent as well. They then left me on hold for 40 min before I hung up and called back which they then argued with me and told me I had the wrong information for my account again. They then put me on hold for another half an hour. So basically in 2 hours all I did was make it even harder for me to use my credit account since they don't even have the correct name.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I am trying to close on a home and for some reason Equifax froze my wife's account. Sent SSN and Driver's License to a fax number only to find out that it should be sent to a different fax number. Worst customer service I have ever had to deal with and most incompetent staff working to clear up these disputes that EQUIFAX HAS CREATED.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

For months now I have been trying to get Equifax to correct an issues they created during a Sunday (upload/download) of data of my credit file. I’m in the middle of trying to close on a home and they stated that one of my new accounts had been in a bankruptcy. This account was not in a Bankruptcy and to make matters worse this account is only two months old which make it appear as if I have been late as recent as two month ago (while I’m in the middle of trying to close). This is severely impacting my score and Equifax is giving me only two options which is dispute it (which I can have anything in dispute status because again I’m trying to close on a home) or I can send in documents stating this account is not in bankruptcy. (Mind Blown!!!)

They want me to prove they made the obvious mistake on my credit file as a public record of filing bankruptcy would appear as well which is clearly doesn’t. It’s not a joint account so there’s no other possibility other than they messed up. I requested them to send me a copy of what they received showing they had the authorization to put this account was in bankruptcy on my credit file and instead I was met with further hostility and frustration. The Supervisor then hung up on me. This is at least my second complaint against Equifax. The other was regarding having my file unattainable because of their systems issues. This has occurred three times this year alone! Now the data integrity is causing me further harm!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I got an alert from Credit Karma that a new credit inquiry was added to my Equifax report from AT&T. This was alarming to me because I don't have an AT&T contract and didn't try to sign up for any. This inquiry did not show up on my TransUnion report. I immediately went to the Equifax website and filed a dispute. Then I called the fraud department at AT&T. They verified that the info listed on the inquiry was them, but they searched their system for my personal information and couldn't find any record of anyone applying for anything with my name or social.

Since filing my dispute, the Equifax system has refused to let me log back in to check my status, even with the confirmation number they sent me. It tells me that they're unable to process my request because my information doesn't match their records. It's the same information I originally put in to file the dispute. After doing some research, I found out this actually happens to everyone who files a dispute.

After a couple of days went by, I got an email from Equifax saying my dispute had been completed. It had a link for me to log in and see the results, but the system still wouldn't let me in. Getting frustrated, I used the chat feature on their website. The chat person told me they were having "technical issues" with the website (for about 4 days?) and gave me both a phone number and a mailing address I could use to check my status.

I called the phone number. It was an automated system. After putting in all my information (the same information the website says is wrong), I got a pre-recorded message telling me my dispute was complete and I could log into the website to see the results. Then it asked me to either press 1 to replay the message, 2 to check a different dispute or hang up and end the call. There is no option to speak to a representative.

At this point, I can only conclude that Equifax is completely incapable of handling the responsibility they've been entrusted with. I believe the false credit inquiry is their fault, whether it's accidental or intentional. They've had the SAME technical problem with their dispute portal for close to 2 years and haven't fixed it. There have been FAR too many major issues and complaints about Equifax for them to continue operating as a trusted credit bureau. Their business practices should be thoroughly investigated, and, in my opinion, they should be shut down.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Identity? FIX. YOUR. WEBSITE!!! I don't want YOUR customer service rep to aid with a dispute. I cannot file because of YOUR website and multiple confirmations from YOUR reps. I am who I say I am; YOUR website fails to recognize this. YOUR reps fail to have a major criteria for customer service, complex thought processes and problem resolution! A minor detail, I was being transfer and asked for the phone # in case disconnected. I was given 7 digits. Dude, I need 10 of those. After runaround and being put on hold multiple times. I was told "It's kind of confidential".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

EQUIFAX sends passwords via US Mail. That's right. I'm been a victim of identity theft since 2014 when our social security numbers were stolen to file false tax returns. Every year, there's a new theft. Using the automated system, I input my social security number & the just the number of my home address. Took 3 seconds. I signed up for a service with the USPS so that I get an email with an image of the mail to be delivered that day. There was 2 Equifax letters. My husband received his, I did not receive mine. More identity theft! It's useless to speak to a human who speaks English that is understandable. (My grandmother was from the Philippines). So to recap: Equifax uses cheap reps in other countries who speak but can't seem to understand their US clients. I have recorded phone calls. They are holding my info hostage. Next up is I file more reports and hire an attorney.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Dinged for a closed, paid in full acct 9 yrs later? Unreal. I left Aspire Visa due to extreme dissatisfaction and paid my whole account off in time and in full to be done with it. That was in 2009. So I get a notice from Credit Karma earlier this month lowering my score for having closed the account. I tried calling Equifax to speak to someone about this outrage, and you can imagine how far I got with that. And now there's magically nothing showing on Credit Karma for me to do my dispute thru their app. What a screwover; an honest, responsible account holder can possibly win at this rate.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

When I tried to get a loan I found out that in the Equifax report is error when trying to pull my report. So I was suggested to call Equifax to fix it up. So I did. First of all communication is almost impossible because person on a phone didn’t understand what I’ saying. I had to repeat and spell my name and address maybe 5 times and still I’m not sure if he got it right. Then they told me to send fax with my SSN and ID. So I did, few days later I called to check it out and found out that I was given wrong fax number. Fax it again and called again few day later and still they didn’t have my information corrected. Still waiting and my loan already gone. I just can’t believe that Equifax screwed my life.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Our son went to the bank branch we deal at to talk about getting a loan. They were told Equifax would call to get information. Now this is where the story goes south. The Equifax person mixed up our son with a cousin of his and then went on to accuse him of trying to do identity theft when in fact it was the Equifax person screwed up. Makes me wonder what kind of people they hire. Completely unprofessional.

When the Equifax employee finally figured out that, gee, maybe there are more people with the same last name in our city, and indeed our son and his cousin were two different people, they said they would call back in a day with the information the bank needed. It's now 5 days later and no word from Equifax. Clearly this company and/or this particular employee does not know how to treat people professionally. Really disturbing since they are involved with people's ability to retain financing.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have worked with all three agencies, and this is by far the WORST regarding eliminating incorrect data from files. The other two removed my dispute immediately. With Equifax, I have had to call 6-8 times, send a fax with my SS card and my license, and speak to numerous customer service people. I still have not had a resolution to my credit dispute. I even complained to the BBB in Georgia who were less than useful. And, yes, they comprised my data last year so my SSN and info is already out in circulation.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Equifax refuses to delete a consumer statement from my credit file. I have been trying to get it removed since July, every time I’m told it will be deleted but still remains. They are doing the same thing to previous address on my credit file as well. Equifax sends me a reinvestigation of results showing deleted information but when I check my credit file it has not been removed. This company is the worst at handling consumers' personal, private information. They lie and violate our consumer rights.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Equifax deleted 4 out of 9 accounts from my credit report, put hard inquiry by Equifax mortgage and dropped my credit score from 811 to 655 after numerous calls to fix this issue in the past 11 months.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Well first there are no people to speak to that are English speaking so I'm assuming all jobs are not in Canada which is terrible when you are dealing with your life... So my score keeps going down daily can't figure out why... My husband turns out had two separate accounts in his name... I had collections that weren't mine. I have letters from that bank that said no late payments and they refused to take late payments off even after investigation. They could figure out if my acct was to be paid monthly. I was being charged late every two weeks because of a bank error. Could not make them understand.

Now score goes down and I check my product as I do daily because they are so inept and this time all the enquiries are as one. The soft are on as hard. I call and of course it's a technical glitch. Will be fixed in a couple of days and my score will be fixed. We are refinancing our house and time is running out. Somebody step in. This is your financial life. I checked this am August 26 2018 and still the same? Who do I call to fix it? HELP.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I received an email that a dispute I filed yesterday with Equifax was completed. When trying to log in using the correct credentials and confirmation number provided, I am prompted with a notification that it does not recognize my information. I initiated a live chat on Equifax website and the agent's response was to call Consumer Service Department. I informed her I was deaf and asked for an email for correspondence as I have no assistive devices. She instructed me to have a relative come to my home and translate the call.

This is not an option for me. She then gave an email address that is invalid. I attempted to live chat with several more agents on Equifax website, all of which chats I have saved. Several told me there were no existing emails for customer support and two agents gave me different email address with which to correspond through. I believe both are invalid and fear I may have inadvertently sent information to an unsecure email address. I simply wished to know why two of the three derogatory remarks are duplicated with the same amount. I have never received a bill from them and would like to know their account numbers so that I can verify that they are valid and know what account to pay. Even the collection agency listed on my report does not have an existing account number for which they are trying to collect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I moved 8 years ago, luckily I know the people that bought my old house. Equifax sends a letter to my old address. The letter basically states, "This is what we have for your new address and this is what we have for your old address." So they mail it to my old address? Then the letter gives a phone number that is nothing but an automated line. All I can say is WOW.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I have spent the last two weeks trying to get my online account unlocked. None of the verifiable question are correct or have anything to do with me. I have spoken with numerous representatives, all of which refer me to another department, avoid answering my questions, not helping me at all. Then when it comes time to take the "survey" they are asking for, the line is disconnected. (I know right? Say it isn't so LOL.) This is a "for profit" company that has all our personal information (incorrect, I might say), has been hacked several times, is used by numerous businesses in making life changing decisions about us.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Violate the Fair Credit Report Act. Equifax are to reinvestigate the negative item shown on my credit report and to provide Proof of accuracy of verified items by providing original signed contract/agreement with wet ink signature or to remove any and all negative items where contract could not be provided. As of Today, I still have not received any valid proof of verification from Equifax yet they continue to report the items as accurate and verified. I think it unfair for Equifax have false information on your credit report.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Called by a potential employer who informed me that Equifax has a security freeze on my account. Called Equifax to have freeze lifted to find out that they don't have a freeze on my account. In fact, they hadn't updated my account since before November 2017, what happened to accurate updating my credit? Still had my old address on file (which had been updated with everyone else) refused to update address, informed me I had to fax in documents for proof for security purposes but didn't hesitate to ask me a million other private questions that validated who I am.

They need to catch up with the times, there is no email to send this info to, only mail or fax, and on top of it, it takes two days after it's faxed for them to get around to updating it. Lastly, and I'm usually the last person to do this. Every single person I spoke to had such a thick accent. It took repeating myself on average 4 to 5 times to get information relayed accurately. Equifax is beyond a joke and should be shut down as a major credit bureau.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have had nothing but issues with Equifax since I requested a free copy of my credit file. I have been unable to dispute anything online with them, I’m told my information doesn’t match, which is BS. I was successful sending one dispute online and received an email saying it was ready to be viewed, well that never happened. Email says I have 30 days to view it, upon trying to do so I’m greeted with the famous Equifax message saying my information did not match what they had on file. I am so fed up with Equifax, they make it nearly impossible to dispute or view your dispute which is required by law. I hope this company goes head over heels, they have no business handling any consumers personal information.

Original review: July 11, 2018

A few months after I used the service I cancelled my account on my computer. Since then they have been taking $20 from my account for 2 years. Yes I should have paid more attention, but the point is canceling over the internet is useless. Make sure you call and cancel.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Absolute nightmare to set up credit freeze (to fix Equifax breech). System is slow, and does not send you the PDF PIN number - then you get on phone for 45 minutes trying to convince them of who you are. Doesn’t help that there is a language barrier as they have outsourced their service to a foreign country. Why does their process have to be so difficult when it took only a few minutes each for Experian and TransUnion. I would rate them zero stars if possible!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I tried signing up for the credit freeze through Equifax after the mess THEY made by THEIR breach. Their website kept freezing up and having errors. After multiple tries I gave up. Fast forward months later. I attempted to get a loan which was denied because I had a credit freeze through Equifax. WHAT?!?! I attempting to log onto their website to lift the credit freeze however it was down. I attempted to call and once again their system was down. I attempted the next day and turns out it requires an 8 digit pin. A pin that's supposed to show up in a popup/download at the time of the freeze. Since the website had an error I hadn't received a pin.

I eventually called and got someone that I could barely understand asking for a confirmation number I'd have no reason to have. I explained my problem and she started asking me security questions that nobody would know off the top of their head. Eventually she told me my credit freeze would be lifted between 15 minutes and 5 DAYS from now. Wait... I'm trying to lift the freeze because I need to use my credit and she says it may take up to 5 DAYS? I asked her if there's any way for me to call and check to see if it has been lifted so I'm not annoying my bank by having them retry my loan daily and she stated I could mail them and I would receive my answer in 7-10 business days. Useless company. The websites for the other two work fine. It's not shocking that the company that started this mess is also the one that's so dysfunctional that you can't reasonably use their services.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Faxed in both sides of provincial card and SIN card. They refused to send me my credit report. I called government of Canada. Told them Equifax said my SIN is too dark. They said it was fine. I sent copy of SIN and provincial card by mail with letter. I also filed complaint with BBB as well.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Horrible! I signed up for a credit freeze when the last security breach occurred. I then find that you can’t log onto the Social Security site (and others) with this in place. Removing freezes from the other 2 major companies was a breeze but EQUIFAX has been a HUGE problem. You need the PIN # you were given when signing up. I have my pin and I’ve spent HOURS Trying to get this freeze lifted. Their website freezes and they require you jump thru hoops. Am now having to send a letter with extra proof (utility bills, etc). RIDICULOUS! I wonder how long it will take now using snail mail. Why is it that EXPERIAN & TRANSUNION were so simple and they are the total opposite.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Every other credit reporting agency doesn't make it so hard to add or lift security freezes. Experian is the best and TransUnion was a pain but nothing like Equifax. Imagine having no way to recover a pin on their website. They don't make the number easy to find. Then when you finally get through you get someone who can barely speak English asking impossible questions. What is confirmation number, when did you originally apply the security freeze. They want the month day and year. Like you're really going to remember that. Come on now. If you fail you then have to send a letter with copies of your identification. It takes forever. They are punishing you for protecting your credit. I really wish they would go bankrupt. I would never use an Equifax product again.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Both of my parents are deceased. Father in 2013 and my Mother in 2017. When I received their credit card statement in May a charge dated 4/13/2018 in the amount of 199.99 was showing for EQF*TID TRUSTEDIDSERVI. I contacted the number provided on the statement and was informed they needed confirmation. They requested I send in copies of the death certificates, SS #, Mailing address and phone number along with a copy of my driver’s license. Then I needed to wait 10 days before calling them back.

When I called them back on 6/4/2018 I was given another number to call. So I called that number. They again asked for copies of the death certificates which were again provided to the new email address. I received communications today that they would not accept the death certificate because it did not contain the SS no of my parents. Utah statute specifically states it cannot be listed on the death certificate. All I am asking for this the monitoring price of 109.99 be refunded to their credit card.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had identity theft and promptly put a fraud alert and freeze on all 3 credit bureaus. Two credit cards were opened in my name and I only disputed those two. Equifax disputed ALL of my credit cards resulting in four cards being closed, three I have gotten back, (one dispute they put through was on an account that was closed 32 years ago and another closed 9 years ago). Equifax had told my creditor's I had a new address, which was the fraudulent address and they almost sent my new cards there. The rest of my cards were blocked. I had to constantly contact all of my accounts to get everything back in order. The time that this took over a matter of 6 weeks and having to do it more than once has been ridiculous.

I contacted Equifax and answered all questions correctly and was told my address didn't match up. I informed them that they had the thieves' address and they wouldn't change it, so I faxed them, per their request, all of my information, a police report and Federal Trade Commission identity theft report and my current driver's license showing my correct address with a cover letter detailing, very clearly, exactly what had occurred and to properly correct my address, along with phone numbers the thieves put on the cards that were not mind. In the mail I get a letter, not properly spelling my name, saying information was incorrect and to provide my full SS# and other forms of ID in order to facilitate my request, keep in mind this was sent almost one month later. I will not do that considering they have my name wrong.

I then get a letter addressed to my proper name stating my address has changed (which again is the fraudulent address used to open the cards) and I have to contact them AGAIN. Not only was I victimized by the thieves, but worse by the Bureau that is supposed to protect my identity. They don't listen to what I say, put me on hold forever and then never get back to me waiting for me to hang up, totally unprofessional and when I provide proper information they say mine is wrong. I just got the "results" of their investigation; however, when I try to access it I can't because they say I did not properly answer the questions.

I tried again and it won't allow me back in to it and I have to call them AGAIN. Of course it takes forever to get through to them because I have to go through numerous people to try and speak to someone in the US Fraud Dept. This is totally unacceptable, unprofessional and has been a waste of my time to prove who I am because even in writing, with proper ID and proof, they don't believe ME.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Equifax has continued to allow false or incorrect information to remain on my credit report. I have disputed inaccuracies numerous times, with documentation to prove those inaccuracies and they refuse to delete them.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I've been hacked more than once. Just when I think everything is resolved, it starts again, charges on my credit card etc. I have changed my credit card 3 times, the first time I under a free sample which was really my fault because it was actually a membership where they send you skin care product every month and charge you over $150 US for skin care you can buy at pharmacies for $60. It was on the Fifth Estate, a Canadian that lived in California. Fool me once, but not twice. I have a new credit card. Do not order online anything anymore. I realized it started again getting charges on my credit card. Looking back what I did in the last month. I had purchase a monthly service with Equifax so I can check my credit score again, and to make sure nothing negative. Sure enough I see my credit score is low 585, after paying well no late payments for 6 years.

I sent them a letter to complain, also I seen I had a collection that pop out of nowhere amount $1200+. I needed a loan, so I paid it off and would dispute it with company after. Sure enough it was a pay loan that I did not apply for in 2015 through a company that doesn't exist anymore. That was the year I started to work for CIBC and was hacked through my email. I had to change all my accounts, passwords, debit, credit card. I was also with TD bank and had to change everything there also. They tried to get a loan, got the alert, "Congratulation your loan has been approved". Equifax says I will have a hard time getting a loan due to my credit score. If I can't get a loan, but a criminal that applies for a loan online is approved, something is wrong with their system.

I can't dispute with company to get my money back, but at least remove the collection report off, and bring my credit score to normal. Who are the people that work for this company, CIBC hacking was a technician that was laid off so he sold data to black market. Ever since banks have outsource work to other countries like India. We have problems with hackers, and stealing identities.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Worst customer relations ever. Can't dispute even personal information without having to mail copies of my license, my SS card, my utility invoice. A credit reporting company that wants me to MAIL a copy of my SS card. Joke #1. Trying to "chat" is joke #2. One field to fill out: email address. No submit button, no link to continue. I hit my enter key. Error message: "please fill all required fields before attempting to initiate a chat" Huh?? ONE field, filled. On to joke #3: trying to contact a live customer rep. I finally find a number, call. First call, disconnected. Second call "Bran" needed me to answer a security question: What's the credit limit on one of my credit cards (a specific card)? What?? I've had that card for years, and I'm expected to remember its limit?? Isn't there another security question? No. NO??? At that point I disconnected the call. Equifax is impossible to deal with. Soooo much simpler with TransUnion.

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg