Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.94/5

1161 Equifax Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I am livid at the treatment I got from Equifax while trying to put a credit freeze on my two young children's accounts. You have to send in a handful of (highly personal) documents by mail and wait for a mailed response. I did this with all three. Transunion and Equifax sent back letters with a list of required documents WITHOUT telling me what was actually missing in my application. Experian - no problem, they accepted my documents. Transunion - no problem, I missed something and I spoke with a very helpful woman who was ACTUALLY in the United States who could pull up what I'd already sent in and tell me what was missing.

Equifax - after being jerked around for about a week and spending way too much time on hold, I finally reached the end. Another foreign representative who did not understand what I was asking. He explained about 5 times what documents I needed to send in and that they don't save anything from applications, not even a note of record, so they actually had no way of telling me what I missed. I told him goodbye and hung up before I started sobbing. This "customer service" is despicable and I'm sorry I wasted any time with this company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

This credit company can't be real??? First of all the customer service agents have such thick accents that you can hardly understand what they are saying, secondly after they take all your pertinent information they will ask you about your credit information?? This makes no sense whatsoever since I was inquiring about the supposed derogatory marks on my credit report as to clear up this matter. In my opinion I think this company should be under investigation. I got so frustrated that I just hung up the phone. How can you clear up your credit if they will not tell you what is on your credit report.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

When applying for a VA loan, Equifax has my credit score frozen and marked as fraudulent. Once I called Equifax, they stated they could not find my information and it may be incorrect. They asked if I could submit a fax with my social security card, driver’s license, and all the other good details perfect for stealing someone’s identity. This whole time, I’m wondering if this is the same person that tried calling me telling me they were the IRS and I needed to pay mysterious dept. in Target gift cards. Well after waiting the week that they asked for to update my information, I called again. They say they cannot see that my documents were submitted and asked me to resubmit my documents, I did.

I called a week later and got the same thing, no documents, please submit such and such. No one will tell me where the documents might be, or how something so sensitive could have been lost. And they can’t just stand on the other side of a fax machine to ensure they came through, and will not forward me to a department that can. Now here I am, two months later, 5 FAX later, lost my loan, lost that house, lost a few thousand dollars, and still nothing to show for it. I’ve filed complaints with the Attorney General and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and sincerely hope I can make as big of a ruckus as possible about this.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

It seems that for the last year Equifax has its problems with Credit Karma and others. My credit score in less than 30 days went from 680 score to 540? Today it went from (I took a screenshot) from 680 to 540 again as I went to update my address that keeps going to a Motel address that I never went to in another part of the state. I'm a senior and it's been impossible as I'm ready to live in a retirement home and telling this story to management is not only frustrating but outright embarrassing. Look like a totally irresponsible person that worked all her life without any assistance of my state! A mother of two and never ever a burden to my state! How can these agencies get away with saying "system down", Unavailable, or learn on the news that they been hacked! Will, someone from Consumer Affairs do something...hellooo any politician that not swam in the swamp come and take some time to HELP!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have over the past months been in contact via online and standard mailing documents to Equifax re false information listed on my credit file with them and they have proven to be quite useless in both response and overall experience. It seems they are not performing as each time I am getting error messages Digital that the system is down and please try again later. I have done the exact same procedure with TransUnion and Experian and the information was updated properly with the documentation I provided yet with Equifax seems as if the data breach and court ordered judgment has severely affected their business model.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I paid down a balance on an account that is in good standing. My EF score dropped 56 points, my score increased on with other two reporting agencies. Called EF to inquire why, person I spoke with barely spoke English and could not answer a single question! I do have one negative (in dispute and already removed from other agencies reports), all else in in good standing yet my EF score is consistently lower than the others. Also curious as to why when a negative is removed from my report my EF score drops? (Which happens any time I pay off a balance or have a negative removed.) Not others, ONLY EQUIFAX. This company is frustrating and impossible to deal with. I believe they are running a scam and seriously need investigated for fraud!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

They act as if they don't want to actually confirm you are who you say you are. They ask for birthday. Check. Address. Check. Social Security. Check. Current loans. Check. Previous loans. Hmmm... I got one, I think. You need to remember the company and and how much the payment was. "Can you remember another previous loan?" How many do they need? I hung up out of frustration. I'll have to do my research into my old checkbooks to be prepared the next time I call them up. All this to unfreeze my account so a mortgage company can check it. If they don't unfreeze, no new mortgage!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I disputed a record on my credit report. It took several weeks to resolve, which was expected. However, I have had nothing but issues trying to view the result. The first time I tried, the verification questions asked about accounts I've never owned. Since I had to choose "n/a" for all the questions, I was directed to call in for my results. The rep informed me the system was down and call back in a few hours. I did not call back. A couple weeks later, I tried to access my results online again. This time I was able to get in. However, when I clicked on "view", I get an error message telling me, "the PDF file is not accessible at this time" and to call customer service. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?? So over it...

Original review: July 29, 2019

It seems that their phone number published on Equifax Canada does not work. It is impossible to speak with an actual human. This situation last for some days now. This is very annoying. I've placed a fraud alert on my account and yet, I got my own personal address changed without my consent. WHAT IS THE POINT OF DECLARING A FRAUD IF EQUIFAX DOES NOT EVEN DO THEIR JOB?

Original review: July 27, 2019

For three days I have been trying to access my free annual credit report and to verify my credit report is now unblocked at Equifax. I was unable to access my account online (it is locked for some reason). I have spent 2 hours over 3 days dealing with the outsourced call center at Equifax. I have been told to call back in 30 minutes, then one hour and now 48 hours because their system is "updating." Why does it take three days to update a system? This is a little suspicious.

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg