2. Finance

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I've been contacting Equifax multiple times. I get through every time I have a question about my credit score why hasn't changed since March it would change one point to two points but then it dropped 58 points.. When I called them I said I only have one collections on my credit I paid off all 10 of them within a year why hasn't my Equifax moved since March when the government shutdown. They have no answers. They are the only one that has not moved. Experian moved and Transunion moved. Equifax seemed to be damaging my credit. I think I might have to sue them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Recently contacted Equifax because there was outdated, incorrect information on my report that affected my credit report negatively. I answered all security questions but operator was not able to access my info to correct wrong info on my report. Asked for a supervisor and was told because of Covid19 Equifax has LESS offices open. So a normal employee can work but having a supervisor is somehow more dangerous? I was repeatedly told that I was not able to access my own credit information because Equifax was (concerned) with my safety! Keep in mind Equifax released MILLIONS of their customers credit information to farcical entities (criminal organizations) keeping my credit safe for these criminals to see and use while locking me out of my own information! I will look forward to a class action lawsuit which will no doubt happen, and I hope soon!

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I am trying to purchase my first home but Equifax has not update my credit score in months and when they do update my score drops. I have been paying off all my debts on time and sometimes double pay. Equifax have made themselves impossible to contact and when you do get in touch with someone they sound like a robot that been program to lie to you. Equifax if you are having a problem within your company please let the public know it's our right to know. Equifax you are destroying people lives especially mine.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

The employees (customer service) never know or understand anything you're asking about. They just keep transferring me and I never get a representative on the phone who can actually help me. I sent private documents to dispute my new address like a month and a half ago and the information is still not updated. They talk over you and can be very rude. Their website doesn’t even provide a customer service number so I had to search it online. It’s just plain horrible!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

While my other two credit scores are going up, my score with Equifax fell 10 points. When I called to find out why it fell 8 points last week and two points today. The customer service person could not help me at all. I had an account on the Negative list that has been paid on time since the beginning of 2017. I ask, "Why is this on the negative list," his response was, "I don't know but I am sure it is not hurting you." "Really? Then please take it off," he said, "I can't do that." I ask, "Please tell me why is my score going down by the day." He could not answer any of my questions. I had a late payment 6 months ago and therefore it has drastically effected Equifax. Also their website is very difficult to navigate and work. Why are they in business???

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

I spent forty frustrating minutes on the phone with a person whose English I could not understand. I have been the victim of fraud. I have an Equifax product called ID Patrol. I not only could not find out how ID Patrol would protect me, I also could not get transferred to someone who spoke English without an accent. In the end the Equifax person hung up on me.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I put a freeze on my credit information with all three credit bureaus. I have been unable to unfreeze my credit information with Equifax for at least six months. I have tried NUMEROUS times to speak with a live person. I call and am asked a series of "security" questions regarding past credit cards or loans. The cards or loans never refer to ones that I have had therefore I answer no each one. Every time I get the message that they "cannot help me". Because a car dealership could not pull my credit, I had a car I really wanted sold out from under me. I am looking to complain to the appropriate agency and would love to be part of a suit. I am so angry with these people I could spit nails. I do want to sue them. They deserve to go out of business.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

As a result of my identity being stolen due to the Equifax breach I put a freeze on my credit information with all three credit bureaus. I have been unable to temporarily unfreeze my credit information with Equifax for at least six months. Every time I try to speak with a live person I am asked a series of "security" questions regarding past credit cards or loans. The cards or loans never refer to ones that I have had therefore I answer no each one. Every time I go through a recorded voice says I have answered wrong and I am cut off. A couple of times when I called again, the questions were asked in a foreign language!!! Somehow, I was able to get through some other way, and was sent a letter with a temporary passcode to log onto my Equifax.com. This passcode DID NOT WORK.

I filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Agency in Georgia in February, 2020 listing the above complaint against Equifax. This "consumer protection agency" did absolutely nothing to help me and in a letter to me said that they had closed the case!!! If anyone who is affected negatively by Equifax wants to file a Class Action Law Suit, and I have seen many comment that they would, go to Facebook and search #takeequifaxdown. Maybe if enough people post and get together, we can get an attorney to do this! I want to add that I can unfreeze/freeze my credit information with Experian and TransUnion with no problem, at least so far.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Equifax made a mistake on my credit file and I am applying my mortgage, request them correct the information that not belongs to me, I fax my document since July 6 and wait 10-15 business days get nothing changed, and called them almost everyday except weekend, different agents different sayings, and impatient to answer me, sometime say no signal, some time just let me listen music, sometime say it is different department, sometime say system upgrade let me call back, and when someone heard my story and just let me keep fax document and fill out dispute form and wait another 10-15 business days, F...

Really mad with them, this is horrible service and team, they made mistakes on my file, and didn’t correct it on time since I request an urgent, and nobody care my case, always same saying, "I am sorry I understand but I did my best. Please keep waiting another 10-15 business days," I am applying my mortgage waiting this correct report, even just a letter can proof Equifax mix up the customer credit information, they are not willing to provide, I am first time to purchase a property and there was a mortgage and different person name register under my file, and equifax didn’t amendment it since I request on July 6th, And they don’t care about my emergency, coz I let $30k deposit to listing brokerage and if I don’t get mortgage will lost my deposit, coz sellers sold the property changed another big place, they Will be impacted.

Original review: July 31, 2020

My credit score dropped for no reason and they gave me the run around. Manager supposed to phone me back in 2 days. 3 weeks later no call and tried to cancel. They hung up on me and said I can’t cancel.

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor