2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

Equifax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: April 24, 2021

All I can say is they keep charging me, giving terrible service when I call and the people that work there act as if they have no life inside of them. They still can't email me proof that I won't be charged as they say we can only give verbal information. This place is a JOKE. Don't waste your money. Go with Transunion.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I’ve been dealing with a dispute on Equifax for awhile. They can never verify me, yet the same info with the other two credit companies have no issues asking the same information. When they connect me to a agent their system is always down. The dispute I turned in is a no brainer. It’s been over a month and I’ve not heard a thing from them. Dispute is not even on the item I’m disputing. This last month my fico has done up 60 points with 2 out of 3 companies. Not Equifax. It went down. So from not being able to verify me, to every time I call the system is down, so I can’t be helped. Sounds shady to me.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I paid down 2 installment accounts and one of my credit card companies increased my line of credit by $100. As a result, Equifax dropped my score by 50 points! The kicker is the credit card company sent me the notification they were increasing my line of credit because of excellent payment history. I didn't apply! The other credit bureaus increased my score. How does it make sense to decrease someone's score for good consumer behavior and practices? Does not make any sense to me. Only Equifax does this and in my opinion... that's the worse practice ever. How do you overcome this????

Original review: March 29, 2021

This company constantly tries to get you to sign up for a monthly monitoring with “Boost”. You must select NO to a pop up each time you log in or you will be charge for a new membership ($24.99) without even knowing. Those boost points will stay on your credit as long as you continue to pay Equifax each month for that membership. As soon as you cancel your Equifax accounts, all these boost Fico scores you worked so hard for will disappear. A complete scams while acting like they are helping you “monitoring”. AVOID!!!!

Original review: March 23, 2021

Manier times their Customer service reps don't even know what they are talking about! Every time you call and you get a different information for the same problem. They have no idea why the score is, what it is, all they know is general, like pay bills on time etc etc. They always blame that the system auto generates the score and they have no idea about that. I argued many times that nothing has changed to my report, bills paid on time, no extra usage on credit cards, it is only 30% and no any credit inquiries and everything else is in place as last months and so then how come the score came down by 5-10 points and they had absolutely no answer and no idea. Also, If you fight for any dispute, the response is very late. Looks like they don't even know what they are doing? It is one of the biggest Credit Bureau and very sadly it is so damn poor in terms of service and knowledge.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I recently disputed the last two negative items on my credit report with valid reasons. These items were removed from Transunion within 48 hours. They are still showing with Equifax. Tonight I went to their site from Creditkarma's site once I figured out that I would probably have to dispute the negative items all over again with Equifax and when I entered the required information the first time I got a try again later our system isn't operating. Five minutes later I enter the info again and now I get "You must call customer care." So, I call customer care and after telling the computer things I'm pretty sure the government doesn't even know about me I finally get rung thru and YEP it's the computer guy again telling me they're closed.

My take? They could say they are closed before taking your first born. They could hire people because as far as I know the computer guy seems to be the only one actually working there. Finally, and this is my opinion... Equifax seams predatory in a way with regard to consumer credit reporting policies. I feel like there should be some kind of oversight committee if there isn't one. Either way what Transunion did in less than 2 days is exponentially more time consuming with Equifax and even though I won my disputes with Transunion I have this weird feeling it's not going to be a gimmie with Equifax. If there was a credit fairy I guess I just wish she or he would would beat the living daylights out of Equifax with an ugly wand. Thanks for reading!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I’m in the process of buying home and my lender has told me that in order to be approved for a mortgage with the best possible term, I should have any disputes removed from my credit files at all three credit bureaus and any consumer statements removed as well. To do this, I had to call and speak to customer support personally at Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. I called them all on Jan 31st. Both Experian and Transunion removed all of my open disputes and consumer statements while I was on the phone with them. Equifax, however, told me it could take up to 30 days to have them removed. Why does it take 30 days to remove the disputes that took me only 30 seconds to add back in 2018!

Fast forward to today, February 17th and nothing has been changed. I called them for the fourth the today and found out that the consumer dispute was never included into original call to remove disputes and consumer statement, so now I have to wait another 30 days for that and up to another 10 days for my original remove disputes request to be completed. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS REMOVED!!! My financing contingency is Monday!!! Help!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I've been having issues with Equifax for quite some time now. Among many other issues-- when something positive happens on my account, there's hardly ever a positive change to my score. The same information that is on Equifax is the same information I have on Transunion and Experian; yet, I'm always seeing it being reflected with a positive score change with each company except for Equifax. Equifax, is the only bureau that constantly take more than they give, from my experience. Just this past December there was a slight change (increase) in my utilization and it dropped my score on Equifax by 13 points!! 2 points on Transunion and 4 points on Experian. Now here come January-- my utilization decreased to 0% because I paid everything off, and wanted to give the system time to reflect the changes.

I also had an item removed in January which reflected on all 3 bureaus. The decrease in utilization gave me back my points I had lost in December with Transunion and Experian but not Equifax!!! The removed account had also bumped my score with Transunion and Experian but not with Equifax!!!! Frustrated at this point, I called Equifax, and they gave me the same run around every other reviewer is mentioning. They asked me these identity questions that honestly did not apply to me so they could not identify me. I was told to fax or mail identification along with a letter to get access to my report & score. I only wanted to know why that could possibly happen when there's positive information being updated on the account. They continued to tell me they could not identify me so they couldn't provide me with any information.

It honestly sounded extremely scripted-- as if I were talking to a darn robot, and as if these situations had always occurred. Now I see that there are thousands having these same exact issues primarily with Equifax. I just think it's super strange that both Transunion and Equifax uses the same scoring system; yet, the actual scores generated are extremely different. I am hoping to purchase a home before the year is out but I am really losing hope because of Equifax. Something is really off about this company or their system. This is by far the worse company I've ever had to deal with! I'd really like to sue the crap out of Equifax-- solely on the fact that I am also being denied certain cards because of their system not updating! They honestly need to really be looked into and put out of business the way they're destroying/hindering people's lives.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

So about 3 weeks ago I had 5 collections showing as open, all medical collections, on all 3 reports I paid those 5 collections off at that time to the original creditor. As of last week TransUnion and Experian have removed them all. Excellent, faster than I could imagine. Equifax, however, has not. I went through the dispute process which I can only do one at a time. Did not help. I have tried on several occasions to log in to their website. To only find it always tells me I can't log in at this time. Please call customer service.

Today I finally called customer service to be put on hold. I could hear their music then it went silence. I said hello a few times. Nothing happened. Said hello a few more times. Still nothing that I said, "You must be on mute because I can't hear you," and then it went to a customer service survey on how they did which I of course said did nothing because I talk to nobody. Call back again. Finally was able to talk to somebody. They told me with an open account when it's paid it'll stay there for 10 years and I did but that is incorrect because the other 2 agencies have already removed them from my reports and the response was, "That's not how we work here. We are different than the other 2."

So I ask what can I do to expedite this since they were open collections accounts that have been paid off and by law should be removed. They stated they are currently having a system outage and there's nothing they can do until their outage is over and that I can call back and ask the same questions at another date. Now I don't want to disparage any culture whatsoever. I am sure there are plenty of fine call centers overseas but when we are dealing with our credit that is a factor in our lives and how we live them and within the agency that has already been hacked before. Would it not make sense that these call centers be located in the homeland of the country that is calling them. To me it just seems it would be more secure if the call center for Equifax would be in the United States or at least in North America.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Exact same experience as reviewer: Paul of Crockett, CA. This Company should go out of business and we're fine with Transunion and Experian as our credit reporting agencies. First, Equifax got security breached and compromised millions of people's information and now they're unusable as a credit agency. And yet we consumers are required to use them to get credit. It's a big scam.

Equifax author review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor