2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.57/5

Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Equifax Reviews

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I wanted to unfreeze my credit so I could get a credit card. I failed the set of questions they gave me to answer. I never have a problem answering the questions with the other 2 credit bureaus. They sent me a pin number. It did nothing. I tried to call for help but again answered the security questions incorrectly. My online Equifax account was disabled. I had to mail in documents to prove who I am. They temporarily lifted the freeze but my online account still doesn't work and says I have to contact customer service. Ugh. You call into customer service, can't answer their questions correctly (I think they just tell everyone their answers are wrong because I've never had this issue elsewhere) and are told the customer service person can't help you and you're disconnected. What a horrible nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

Locked out of my own credit... Unable to verify me... 45 minutes on hold with someone in India... Solution... Fax in a W-2 and a picture of my license and wait week. How in this day and age can I not be verified on the phone. This is the worst customer service with agents who speak broken English-- and there is absolute nothing that can be done about it. Huge time suck. Go ahead and put your financial life on hold for 7-10 days while Equifax figures out that it's me. Really frustrating.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I needed to unfreeze my account for all three credit bureaus. TransUnion was the easiest, Experian a little more complicated, but Equifax was almost impossible. First of all, their customer service is outsourced, so their representatives don't understand what you are saying most of the time. They read from a script and can't answer any questions that aren't on the script. Secondly, they require information about closed accounts from over 10 years ago for identification. Who remembers all loans and credit cards that were closed more than a decade ago?? Their suggestion for retrieving that information? Buy a credit report! Luckily, Chase offers something called Credit Journey that provides such information for free. Otherwise, they would have never been able to identify me. Oh, and when I asked for a supervisor on my third call, I was told there wasn't one. Worst customer service I have ever dealt with in my 62 years.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

We purchased identity theft protection through AAA and Trusted ID that turned out to be a division of Equifax. Upon learning of the recent Equifax breach we decided to cancel their service and purchase a product from another more reliable company. We canceled the service and received a credit for the remaining period and were assured our account was closed. On Feb 1 Equifax billed our AMERICAN Express card $199.95 and said it was an ongoing contract transferred to them by Trusted ID. When I told them we had cancelled our account with them they said they had no record of that even though they acknowledged the credit we had previously received. They were only going to issue a partial credit until I insisted on speaking to a supervisor. They finally agreed to do so but only after spending nearly an hour on the phone with them. I would stay clear of this company!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

My first name has 2 words. It was entered wrong in Equifax file by "I don't know who". When I sent the documents to set it straight and after a month of struggle, I was told that just because there is a space between 2 words in my first name, it will be considered as middle name. I was pretty disappointed and asked if my call can be transferred to the documentation department who verified my documents. She said she can only give email address. When I said that I need to speak to her supervisor, she told me to wait and just disconnected the call. Totally unprofessional customer service. Even after following everything as per the process, I still couldn't get my issue fixed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

It is better not to have any issue with your credit report so you do not deal with Equifax. All I wanted to do was merge files. Old sin to new sin. Who would know that is an enormous task. Their staffs have a "cannot do attitude" and ready to transfer you to anywhere once they see it is not an easy fix. The noise at the background is also irritating. I sent my document to them 3 times, Canada Post Express and Fax. I still have confirmation. They never got it till I lost the house I wanted to buy, and guess what? They didn't care. It is the worst experience I have had dealing with an organization.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I have repeatedly tried to put in a dispute and get no wifi connection message using Credit Karma. The item was removed from TransUnion immediately. I went directly to the the Equifax site and pulled my report. It shows no collections whatsoever although Karma does. After reading the reviews I am not calling them. This is obviously intentional and fraud.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I took only one-month subscriptions from Equifax, now they take money from the account every month and hesitate to give back and arguing with customer. They didnt give back.. this too hilarious and manipulating customer and taking money.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I would give them a zero if I could! Not sure why Equifax is allowed to collect data. I disputed an item on my credit report and from years back, 2014. The creditor removed the error from report, however Equifax updated my report as a current late payment for an account paid in full 2014. Equifax says the creditor sent this information, however the creditor says they did not. Despite creditor continually correcting the information Equifax will not remove. Equifax is violating the FCRA and getting away with it, no wonder they were breached. There needs to be another class action lawsuit against this company and the Gov't needs to hold them accountable. All they want to do is sell you useless products!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I had just created an account, as I could not remember if I had ever set up an account with the new system. I had gone through the process to freeze my credit report, and I was then asked to log back in. Of course, I was unable to log back in. So after the second failed attempt I called Support for assistance. They had me change my password. I then attempted to log in, and that locked my account, while I was on the phone with them. They were unable to unlock my account so that we could verify what the problem was. Their only recourse was to have me wait an hour. The entire time on the phone was 1 hour 45 minutes. This is customer service? They are making money off of my data and everybody else's. I wish there was some way to remove my data from their service entirely as I have no faith in their ability to secure or administer it effectively. If I could give them less than 1 star I would.

Not sure about Equifax?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Credit Report Sites for you.

Equifax expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Equifax is one of the three biggest credit bureaus in the United States. They work with over 800 million consumers and 88 million businesses worldwide. Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a multifaceted information company.

• Equifax Complete Premier: This subscription product provides three-bureau credit scores, provides alerts about suspicious activities and helps monitor your credit and Social Security number. This product is also available in a family plan.

• Credit reports: Consumers may choose from a credit report from Equifax or a credit report from each of the different credit reporting agencies.

• Fico products: Equifax offers a Credit Score Watch program which monitors the consumers FICO score. Their Score Power program includes a personalized score explanation and score simulator.

• Credit report assistance: Equifax assists consumers in obtaining their free annual credit report and disputing information on a credit report. Additionally, individuals may request a fraud alert and place a security freeze on their report.

• Credit education: The Equifax educational portal informs consumers about credit scores, credit reports, credit monitoring as well as identity theft protection.

• Trusted: Equifax is one of the major credit bureaus and has a highly regarded reputation.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need monitoring.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor