Equifax

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have a member of all the credit reporting agencies since 1966. I've never had any payment issues and paid all the time as agreed. I just received a notice from a natural gas company turning down my request to change provided to get a lower rate. They said the denial was based on a credit report from Equifax. They are not user friendly. I have never received a credit report unless you paid for it. I've provide all the extra documentation they requested and still no credit report. They have been and are very difficult to do business with. Since the security breach, I 've requested a credit report and it said I had to fill out a form or pay for a credit report. This must be a money making scheme. My AES scores for is 981 as shown on the denial letter.

Equifax loses 143 million people's personal info and I cannot receive my free credit report from them to check my records. TransUnion and Experian gave me free credit reports with absolutely no problems AND allowed me to initiate a freeze on my account. However, Equifax claims they cannot allow me to view my free credit report online AND, whether I call or use their website, I cannot initiate a freeze to my account, WHICH they warn could cost me money to do... if I could complete the process. Apparently, their phone automated systems are down every time I call and their website system is currently unavailable with an Error 500.

Equifax has made a HUGE mistake and it seems we can only wait around for our information to be used. We cannot even FREEZE our account through them, which should be free. Is Equifax really trying to cash in on their mistake? THIS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED!

In light of the 2017 security breach, today 9/15/17, I followed the FTC's recommendation to put a fraud alert on my credit file. In doing so (at least through Experian) the credit report company also removes your name and address from prescreened offer mailing lists for two years; unless you ask them to put your name back on the list. I had to call each one of them to have this done. Easily, I reached Experian and TransUnion. I spent over 1 hour trying to get the same done with Equifax, the company who put all of us in this mess to begin with. I can't get through to anyone at any of the Equifax phones. Can't even initiate a fraud alert without having to contact them by mail! This is just unacceptable.

After this circus managed to share our details with whomever, their website offers a way to do a credit freeze. I tried FIVE times. Each time after laboriously adding my personal information needed, I simply get an error message and am told to try again later. I am not surprised that this Mickey Mouse operation was hacked. The ironic twist it that sometime in the future when we have credit issues due to their negligence, these are the clowns that will "report" our credit.

I have been working for years to fix my credit, and I am one of the 143 million affected by the breach - my credit score dropped 40 points! I am in the process of house shopping, but fortunately had my credit pulled about a week before my score dropped. I have just learned this today, as I received zero notice from Equifax to even check. Today I am unable to do the following through Equifax: freeze my account, create a fraud alert, retrieve my credit report, or send an email to Equifax. I can't even figure out why my Equifax score has dropped or what to do about it. I appreciate any update that people are receiving, because Equifax's website clearly doesn't cut it. Ugh.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equifax?

My business applied for some credit and was denied because of the credit report supplied by Equifax. When I received a copy everything including our owner information was not our business but some other business using and for some reason listed as a parent company. This company has nothing to do with our business and is even in another state. I have written a letter, attached copies of proof that this is not us but I have no way of sending the information. The fax number provided on the Equifax letter for filing disputes does not work and the phone # that is also on the letter just rings busy. I went to their website and every # I have tried does not answer and ends up with a busy tone or the call drops dead.

I was charged for the June 2017 premium. I called to cancel and requested a refund. They refunded my premium. In July I was charged again, called again, requested a refund because my subscription was cancelled in June. They refunded my money. I was charged again in August, called AGAIN. This time they said they had no record of prior calls requesting cancellation nor did they have any records of refunding any money, therefore they won't refund my money. I told them I have proof in my bank account the money was refunded but they didn't care. Buyers beware!!! They are good at monitoring your credit but will scam you out of money if you try to cancel your premium paying products.

My credit score was 750 last year. This year when I was applying for refinancing my home, my credit score was 150 points less than last year for no obvious reason. I am inquiring from Equifax. This was also true with other credit reporting companies.

Unbelievable, I go through the process several times. Gave up on my phone. Would not accept their own code. Then I moved to computer. Put all info in again, and then got this page that said I had to confirm some things in writing. Absolutely not a problem at all with TransUnion or Experian. Now, what does Equifax do FOR us?

How did this company allow this to happen - After all that been said and done by the common folks these people at this company allowed it to happen to millions to people personal information - What will be done if these hackers use the information they got on a person, do they have a recourse against this company. You know who will make out is the leeches in Wash DC. They will make this company a fine into the millions for allowing this but not one cent will go to the person who life has been ruined by these clowns at Equifax.

Yesterday I learned I am among the millions affected by the Equifax breach. I embarked on the process of obtaining the free online credit reports I am entitled to every year. I had no problem receiving those from the other two agencies. When I tried Equifax, the security questions didn't apply to me. They addressed specifics about loans I don't have - student, car, etc. I checked the multiple choice option to state none of the choices were correct. I was not allowed to complete the process and told to jump through more hoops such as sending them photo copies of my Social Security card, driver's license, etc. My first thought was identity theft. I then did some research on Equifax and discovered I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. In fact, it seems to be a method they use to get panicky consumers to buy security programs from them while at the same time selling them a security report they should be getting for free.

This is just the beginning. The organization that made it possible for criminals to access the personal information of millions would now like to stress the importance of signing up for a security program that limits the ability of victims of the breach to avail themselves of all their legal rights. I placed an immediate freeze on my credit reports and will continue to learn everything I can before going forward. Everyone should, whether they believe they are affected by the Equifax breach or not. They have your information.

I read press reports about the Equifax data breach. Logged into USAA Credit Card site for my account. Was redirected to Experian (not Equifax) for a credit check. Found that an Experian Credit Report and score is $9.95, and a three bureau Credit Report and Score is $24.95. It appears on the surface that the data breach by Equifax may now be a money-making scheme for Experian as I later found that Equifax offers a "Trusted ID Premier" program that "offers COMPLIMENTARY" five separate items, including the Equifax Credit Report, a three Bureau Credit File Monitor and three other credit report services. I'm disappointed in Equifax's data breach, and equally unimpressed by Experian's aid to consumers...

2017 Cyber Security Breach - I'm one of the 143 MILLION people whose information has been comprised from Equifax. My financial advisers as well as the main stream media has recommended contacting the 3 credit bureaus requesting a "freeze of credit". The criminals who Equifax provided "My" SS #, DOB, and home address will use this information eventually, could even be several years down the road! I stated my request to a customer service agent who advised me "I" would have to pay a fee to freeze and unfreeze my credit line. He did offer a 1 yr free monitoring solution, yippee! My response to that was “Equifax failed to ensure my information was secure how can I put trust in Equifax to monitor my information," which he could not answer. I then spoke to his manager who gave me the same BS and could not answer my question nor provide a "freeze" at no additional cost.

I got the same response all the way up the chain which ended with Kyle in Consumer Affairs Department, shockingly the same answer! Equifax has no way of knowing WHEN my stolen information will be used... hence why I want the FREEZE. My suggestion is for Equifax to provide a "FREE FREEZE" for those customers who request it. Why should I have to pay for your mistake? Another suggestion is for Equifax to partner with TransUnion/Experian and offer a combined FREEZE for their customers who are impacted and interested. Instead they are offering 1 yr. free monitoring, which we all know is total BS... it’s simply a public relation spin on a "HUGE" problem that will never go away! Once your private information hits the black market there's no way to recover it!

In fact, Equifax will significantly profit from this, makes you stop and question, "Was this an intentional act"? The integrity of Equifax is questionable, now knowing Equifax found out back in May/June timeframe (top of the house dumped shares of stock prior to public knowledge, knowing the impact to stock price) and we are just learning this Sept. 8th. Clearly Equifax has their own interest at hand and NOT the 143 MILLION people whose lives will never be the same… Very disappointing indeed.

Glad I canceled my Equifax monitoring account earlier this year. I had trouble getting into my account and called customer service. I asked the person who was helping me from Equifax where he was located. East Yemen. I want people handling my credit information to be in the country I live in. Equifax is disrespectful. I did not even give him information to identify me and I called my credit card company. Blocked all charges from Equifax. I sent Equifax an email cancelling service. Equifax has a responsibility to keep our information private and safe and I was paying for that very service. There is no excuse and they've failed miserably.

Most importantly, I started calling around and asking about call centers at financial institutions and other companies that provide me service using my identification information. My rule is that there are plenty of other companies out there that will respect and it is not necessary to do business with someone who cannot respect their customer or their customer's privacy.

I have been working to get my credit score to be great for yrs so I can eventually take the chance on owning a business. So the time came for me to go apply and I was confident with my credit scores from the other agencies but never looked at Equifax before I went to the bank and applied for a loan. The banker told me what the requirements were and I was sure I would qualify so she said "Just to make sure you won't take a hit on my credit with the inquiry create a credit karma account and see what their score is for you because they are normally right around the ballpark of your score." I created the account while sitting in her office and my score was a 710 which was right around the number of my Experian and Transunion score so I wasn't surprised. So we put the application in for the loan and she said I was denied because my score was a 569 and then informed me that Equifax score is what they go by.

She as much as me was shocked and said she never seen their score be that much different. So I called Equifax to see how could this be possible and emphasized that I have never known my score to be this low In my life and she persuaded me to sign up for the package to see what's on my report which helped me not at all. I was asking her to explain to me how can their credit score be so different from the other agencies and she told me they were not reliable at all because they go by a totally different system.

I was so hot that I called the other agencies asking what good is their score if the banks only look at Equifax when deciding on a loan and they told me that Equifax is very slow at updating things and they can assure me the score that they have for me is correct and up to date while Equifax just drags their feet basically. Also I looked at my Experian credit karma and Trans reports this morning and my score went up an additional 45pts because of being financially responsible but when I checked the Equifax it was still stuck at 569.

I wonder how could this be possible for the number one credit agency that the bank uses when deciding on a loan. It's like they are using the worst one for their most reliable source of your credit. This whole situation stinks to me and it wouldn't surprise me if the banks use them intentionally just for that reason which is to deny more loans. Looking at all of these complaints about this company I don't see how banks can read them and still choose to go with the worst agency. I refuse to believe that they are that dumb.

As for me I had to put my business aspirations on hold until Equifax updates their scores within the next 60 to 90 days. It's frustrating when you get your paperwork up for business also getting the right licensing to make sure things get off the ground assuming that your credit is great but when you go to the bank they use the worst scoring agency on the planet. Now they had a data breach and it doesn't surprise me since they only check their files every 60 to 90 days. My question is what are consumer affairs going to do with all of these customers' complaints????

I got refused to verify my QuadrigaCX account using Equifax, and I have no idea why. Also, I tried to apply for a credit card money back from Tangerine, and I got refused, no idea why. Then I try to call them, and the answering machine is terrible, leads to nowhere. Keep asking and asking hard questions fully of typing and numbers. Awful experience I am having.

When I tried to check my Social Security account online. They ask me a few question through Equifax, that's who SS uses. But when I put my name and SS number in, it tells me my information doesn't match theirs!!! And froze me out. I've called three times. No one seems to know what I'm talking about. And they tell me I will have to pay to purchase my credit report before then can help me. What a scam! So now I have to go down to SS ofice to try to straighten things out. Which is next to impossible for me. I suffer from neuropathy. Which makes it very hard and painful to go anywhere.

I have to lay in the back seat and have my son drive me. Then hobble in on crutches, and stand and wait for help. My condition makes it too painful to sit. And I don't think they want me laying on floor in line. ALL THIS because Equifax screwed up. And won't even try to fix it unless I pay them. They should be ashamed!!! Corporate America at its worst. By the way every time I called, I got a person in another country that was hard to understand. Well I said what I had to say. Not that it will make any difference.

I've recently run into a credit scoring issue. First off, I have worked pretty hard at getting my credit score up to an acceptable number and while not at the top, it is still good enough to get me approved for some credit cards with pretty decent credit limits. I recently took an offer for a credit card with a credit line 9X that of a card I had at the time and the new one had no annual fee, which no one should ever pay that just to hold that card. The financial institution checked my credit score with Equifax and at the time it was at 703 and that was on 27 Jun 2017, again, not great but not bad either.

In July of 2017 I, as a cosigner, helped my 17 year old son apply for a student loan, because what average 17 year old even has a credit rating, the student loan was approved but this institution also ran a credit check on myself and the reporting agency they used was also Equifax and the report now, dated 26 Jul 2017 now says 654. So in 29 days my credit score plunged almost 50 points. In the time period between 27 Jun 2017 and 26 Jul 2017 I paid off a loan and I did that 11 months early, I received a credit card with a 9K credit limit but canceled one with an $1100.00 limit and for that I get a 49 point drop. Interest rating is always based on credit scores and payment history so certainly a 703 would get me a better rate than a 654.

I have tried every number there is for Equifax to ask them why this huge drop, what math is used to do this and all I get are automated messages, there's no one to speak to. So everyone knows that your credit score drops when it is checked as in what is referred to as a "hard check", Why is that? Why should what I work hard to maintain or increase drop just because someone looked at it? I mean I have had a mortgage before and they will usually make you pay to get a copy of your report but why should that affect the score itself? If I am going to purchase a car and they check my credit and the score drops as a result then if I look at a car and test drive it, can I drop the price of the car just because I did? And why do they get to use the dropped number to figure the financing rather than what is was before they looked and caused it to drop?

The credit rating system is a complete scam. You work hard to get it up there to show you are worthy of a loan or mortgage or student loan or whatever it may be, even getting a job or a place to live is often dictated by your credit score. If I work to build up my credit score and all it takes to make it crap is by certain people looking at it, then what good is it? How fair is it? There are three and none of them are the same and you have the ones that are free to look at any day, any time but that score is never accepted by anyone so it really means nothing. If there is wrong information on your credit report you have to jump through hoops in the hopes of it being corrected, as I said and we all know, it is a scam. If there's anyone who knows a number to Equifax that I can call and get an actual human being who isn't from an overseas calling center, I would love to know what it is.

I have had the unpleasant experience of 11 identity thefts in the past 8 years. Equifax has the worst customer care of the 3 credit bureau companies. I have had security freezes placed on all 3 bureaus and have sent police reports and other supporting documents to all 3 bureaus. Equifax continues to ask for all of these documents repeatedly in spite of my submitting them by mail to them.

As an identity theft victim in my state I am not required to pay for temporarily unfreezing or refreezing my bureau. Equifax continues to ask for my dollars to do this. Using a valid PIN number I should be able to unfreeze my account with Equifax. This is not the case and I still have to wait until Monday at 9 AM to make a phone call to usually a Filipino who asks me questions over and over like my experience yesterday where I was asked my PIN on 4 separate occasions. I stated after the first that I was searching for it on my phone but the questions persisted. I did not get a sense that she really understood what I was asking of her since she kept asking me if I wanted to undo my security freeze.

One of my thefts was due to Equifax allowing my credit to be run in spite of my address given not being correct. It was correct 20 years ago and the person who used my old address was able to open a payday loan for 255 dollars with my good credit. This resulted in a collection account on all my bureaus. It took a month and the account was eventually removed however it took me over 30 hours of my time and effort with multiple phone calls etc to correct it. I have been dealing with this company for 8 years and find that they have not improved in comparison to Experian or TransUnion which in my opinion are clear the number 1 and 2 in the credit business. Equifax: Please observe how Experian does excellent business with consumers!

The last 4 weeks 95%+ of the time I try to log onto Equifax site, the portion where you dispute information on your credit file, their system is down. Multiple issues have been posted, server error, updating, temporarily down, check back, I believe are all the messages I have seen. The other portion of their site always appears to be up with no observed down time. The other two credit agencies have been stellar. Something is up with the rash of down time for those disputing errors on their credit file at Equifax. I also have one dispute that was reported over 60 days ago, and they are supposed to complete the investigation in a 30 day period. With as much impact as credit has one's life, we can only hope they correct it.

I sought to get my credit report and credit score. When I searched this option online, Equifax came up first and it clearly says FREE CREDIT REPORT & SCORE. When I clicked on this link, the only option available was a $1 credit report and score which you must place your credit card down to receive this service. Don't be fooled. This is a way for Equifax to get your credit card information and they proceed to charge you $19.95 for services you don't need. Years ago, it was many months before I figured out they were doing this and thankfully, my credit card company refunded the $19.95 Equifax was charging me each month for six months.

This time when I sought the misleading $1 credit report service, I did cancel this outrageous $19.95 charge before the 7 day trial period was up. When I called a customer serviced agent to cancel this service, he was extremely curt, rude, and would not let me finish my sentence. I tried to tell him that this $1 charge and subsequently $20 charge per month for an advertised "free" credit report was extremely misleading. He cut me off, didn't want to hear me, explained the process to me in a very smug way, and then told me my services were cancelled. When I told him that him he interrupted me and would not allow me to speak, he merely continued his scripted cancellation speech, and hung up on me.

Wow, this is a company that is advertised to help people manage their credit worthiness and online safety? I give this company zero stars. Horrible customer service and please envision if you did need help with credit worthiness or identity theft. I can imagine the same dismissive and unhelpful process. Don't bother going to them.

There was a bogus hard inquiry from company I never did business with nor would I on Credit Karma. Only Equifax showed the hard inquiry. Transunion did not. I attempted to put a fraud alert on my account using the Equifax link. They charged me 10 dollars to do so and after the charge appeared in my account they sent me a note saying they couldn't do the fraud alert without a lot of additional documents.

Previously, attempts to order credit reports from Equifax were met with long lists of extra documents all of which I submitted and never got the report. When I called them about the submitted documents their customer service was shockingly rude. After remembering how horrible Equifax is to deal with I contacted Transunion which let me do a free fraud alert over the phone without layers and layers of documents. I believe Equifax wants to collect money and then put so many hoops in place to deliver the service you paid for that people give up and go away without getting what they paid for. I wonder now if Equifax possibly places fake hard inquiries in place to get people to pay 12 bucks a month for "credit protection." If I do purchase that service it won't be from Equifax as once again, another painful reminder of the absolute scam this company is. It is time for a class action lawsuit.

This credit reporting agency is horrible! They need a new system on reporting. I have information on my report that belongs to another person in my town with the same name. They don't answer the phone. Once you finally get them on the phone they leave you on hold, pass the buck and are rude. They do not want to help, it takes 30 days for them to investigate! For my credit to back to Great again! Good thing I wasn't trying to get a mortgage anytime soon!

A credit card I never had appeared on my credit report. In trying to connect online with Equifax to dispute this item I was told they had my account. Then I was presented with a list of items supposedly on my account. Not one of them was true, so I checked "none" on all of them. As a result, my request was rejected and I was directed to another for that asked for a confirmation number. Since I hadn't filed a report, I had to such number, so that form was rejected. This is classic Catch 22, with no way to contact them to dispute something on my credit report without going through other items that deny me access to the dispute process itself. I had no problem online reporting this non-existent credit card to TransUnion. From my own experience and what I've read, it seems that Equifax causes immeasurable damage to many people with their arcane and hostile procedures.

Tried placing a fraud alert on my Equifax account as there has been some unauthorized use of my CC. I filled out the online form and hit ENTER only to be notified that "our system is currently unavailable". Tried again with the same result. Had the same experience several years ago. Completely unacceptable. Horrible service or more accurately DISservice.

Equifax is terrible with updating information on my credit report. It takes them 2/3 months to post payments and adjust outstanding balance(s), but yet Creditors tell me they report every month the balance and payments! Yet, we have a $400 charge on a credit card, and Holy Moses! It's on my credit report within days! How does a 'Inquiry', which I did not authorize get on my report? All I got from Equifax was, 'it's on your report for 2 years', even though I never authorized it. I called Bank, that did Inquiry and told them I never authorize, and reminded them, 'I've never done business with you', they took care of it within minutes!

I also made current payments on accounts, and had information clarified on my report, and guess what... MY CREDIT SCORE DROPPED! What exactly is 'Equifax' purpose, when the consumer has to do all the dirty work, and their Agents don't do anything, but offer you a 'Free Month' for your problems, or... "I'm sorry for what you are going thru"! We are looking into buying a home, but yet, our Credit report is never accurate! Our mortgage agent told us they might have to adjust, verify records with creditors, but would have to charge us for that service! Why pay Equifax $15 a month, we canceled service!

After obtaining my boyfriend's credit report which was paid for from my bank account I wanted to cancel membership. They won't do it without speaking to my boyfriend. The membership cost is coming out of my bank account, but they have to speak to him? What a terrible business. I will never ever use Equifax again. Oh, and I was on hold for 40 minutes!

Just like A. Y. of Los Angeles, CA on May 11, 2017 I stopped using Equifax and didn't bother to cancel as my credit card was expiring so I just didn't update with the new details. A month later I see that the monthly subscription has debited and they have updated my details. I live in the UK and here I'm pretty sure that is not allowed. I called the call cen1tre and they told me I must have done it! Unbelievable. It was also pretty difficult to cancel and cannot be done online.

It astounds me that these people refuse to acknowledge and/or correct their errors. My attorney and I have been going around in circles trying to correct my report and all to no avail. These people should not be allowed to participate in this field of endeavor due to the enormous amount of inaccuracies generated by them. SHAME ON EQUIFAX!

I have Credit Karma, my Equifax score dropped 64 points after going up 46 last week. The reasons are because I have made my car payments on time and because two items dropped in amount owed. Really? Isn't that a reason to raise it? I call Equifax and the only help I get is a rep telling me to sign up, pay for the score and then she can help me. BS!!! Equifax is a rip-off company and should be held accountable for it. She tells me Credit Karma is not accurate... Well that app is the only one helping to get my scores where they should be. So Equifax is wrong and is only interested in people paying them.

Compare Credit Report Sites