2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

TransUnion is one of the three national credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and Experian. Lenders, landlords, employers and other companies may pull credit reports from one or more of these bureaus. You can request a free copy of your TransUnion credit report once per year, or you can purchase credit monitoring for daily updates on your score and credit activity. This company also provides educational resources, consumer assistance services and other helpful tools for people looking to take control of their credit.

BOTTOM LINE

TransUnion is a credit agency that provides credit scores and reports to consumers. It also offers credit monitoring services, identity theft protection and credit offers from third-party lenders.

PROS
  • Credit monitoring services
  • Credit offers
  • Free annual credit score
CONS
  • May differ from other bureaus
  • Monthly cost for monitoring

What is a TransUnion credit score?

TransUnion maintains a database of consumer information and assigns people credit scores based on those details. Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), you can request your credit report for free on Transunion’s website once per year. If you prefer real-time updates, you can sign up for its credit monitoring services that provide daily credit score updates, credit recommendations and online credit locks.

In addition to monitoring services, TransUnion offers free identity theft protection, financial calculators and credit offers. Its consumer assistance team can help with credit needs like disputed items, credit freezes, fraud alerts and assistance for active-duty military personnel. Consumers can also browse TransUnion’s credit education section to learn more about topics like debt, credit bureaus, mortgages and more.

Cost of TransUnion credit report

TransUnion’s credit monitoring services cost $24.95 per month and include daily credit updates, recommendations, credit locks, monthly tips and more. All consumers are entitled to one free credit report per year, and you can request this report online.

Transunion also provides free disputes on inquiries, credit score drops, personal information and incorrect accounts. It offers free identity theft protection through TrueIdentity and does not require a credit card to sign up. For pricing on TransUnion business services, contact one of its client support specialists.

TransUnion FAQ

What is a good TransUnion credit score?
    A good TransUnion score ranges from 700 to 850. However, you can still qualify for lending opportunities and pass other credit checks with a score lower than 700.
    What is your TransUnion credit score used for?
    TransUnion credit scores are used to confirm your creditworthiness when you’re borrowing money, interviewing for certain jobs or applying for rental properties. You can request a copy of your credit report to see what creditors and others see when they check your credit.
    What does TransUnion do?
    TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus that compile data to create a credit score for each consumer. It lets you see your credit report for free once per year or with a subscription to its credit monitoring service.
    What banks use TransUnion?
    Many banks and lenders check all three credit bureaus, but this will vary from bank to bank. To confirm which agency your bank uses, check its website.
    What lenders use TransUnion?
    Most lenders check all three credit bureaus, but some have their own proprietary system for evaluating consumer credit. Check with your lender for more information on which agencies it uses.

Is TransUnion legit?

TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus, and it has a strong reputation for providing reliable, consistent credit scores. It offers credit monitoring services, fraud alerts, identity theft protection and other useful services to help consumers maximize their credit. By working on their TransUnion score, people can improve their credit standing with lenders, employers, landlords and more.

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: April 1, 2021

I have been trying to keep up with my credit score and recently I checked my score with Transunion and they haven't reported any of my two auto loans (payments) since November 2019. I put in a dispute as we actually paid off these two loans over 55,000.00. I get a email saying our two accounts have been closed but it didn't affect our credit score. This is wrong. My credit score should of shot thru the roof. But they won't do anything about it. SO MY WORDS ARE, DO NOT RELY ON THESE COMPANIES AS THEY ARE SLOW AND INCOMPETENT AND DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CREDIT SCORE. I am so done with the companies who try to control your life over a score.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I received an email from Transunion about a hack of my credit report. I clicked to receive information about the hack. I was then given a sales pitch to pay for a service offered by Transunion. The hack did not occur. It was used to warn about possible hacks. Transunion used information they have for my credit report to solicit business and scare me into buying Transunion’s service. Very misleading and dishonest.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2021

I religiously check my credit and activity with TransUnion. I also get a report of activity going on. I have never gotten a message stating something suspicious is going on with my credit. My credit score from October 2020 was 750 or so and jumped to 807 and lasted about 3 weeks or so. After that period of time, my score has gone back down to the the 750s.

NOTHING has changed in my life in the past year because of covid and even before that. Had the same job for the past 21 years. My salary has remained the same. My spending habits hardly change and neither does my credit card balance (less than 20% of available balance) from month to month which is always paid. Also, during that period, a letter was mysteriously added to my name. When I called to have it corrected, I was told I had to send in a copy of 2 pieces of ID. So how did my name change in the first place? This is a terrible company that can make or break someone's life because of its inconsistencies and magic credit calculations.

Original review: March 4, 2021

I ordered a Credit Report through Transunion and thought it was a one time service, but I noticed that they have been continuing to bill me FOR MONTHS for credit monitoring when I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR THAT. Do not use them for a Credit Report unless you want to be billed for months afterwards.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Of all 3 credit bureaus, this is definitely the worst on reporting and website. No matter how many times I set up my username and password, the site tells me it's wrong at least 8 out of 10 attempts and doesn't give any information without making you pay for additional services. I'm recently a victim of identity theft and I can't even get on the site to submit a fraud alert. It was done in minutes on Equifax.com and Experian.com but this site is unnecessarily difficult. I also refuse to give them my card information anymore because I was charged once for a service I didn't want after a very unclear set of instructions and they wouldn't refund my money. Not worth the trouble and my credit score is always way off. I really don't see the point of having this 3rd one when it's generally useless and way frustrating.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I did NOT order ANYTHING from Transunion. I thought you needed a card just to open the app. I began entering my information to set up the app with zero charges listed on the page. Then a twenty something dollar charge appeared. As soon as I saw an amount listed other than zero I backed out of the app. The next day I received an email from TransUnion saying my bank was charged. I called my bank and advised them that it was a fraudulent charge. They said that I would need to cancel my card which I did.

Then I called TransUnion and you said that you would not charge me and cancel the request you lied and claimed I made. I did not finish the application!!! But my account was still charged which caused an overdraft. Now I want the money back from the charge and the money back for the overdraft. This is unacceptable that a credit bureau in charge of millions of people's credit scores would do this!!! I read the reviews and a lot of people have the same complaint. Either you are defrauding a lot of people taking a small amount of money so no one complains a lot or either you are complicit in fixing a glitch in the system of your app.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

After closing two card accounts for the reason of financial restructuring, Transunion pulled 39 points from my excellent credit score. Equifax did not....at all. I find this practice unreasonable and it does not reflect the true picture of a person's credit worth. It punishes those who wish to consolidate their finances. Apparently you wont get dinged if you put yourself at risk or don't play THEIR game. Never been late with a payment of any kind. I thought I had proven my personal responsibility after years of holding credit cards and not once being late or carrying any balance into next month. And someone on Wall Street thinks this makes sense.... Nuff said.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I contacted with TransUnion because my score slowly going down from 823 to 755. Contacted to customer, but service did not explain why and refused to discuss reason. Received information that module calculate score and many different factors connected with score. If I want to get script paper just paid $9.99. I tried to understand reason, if all payment paid at time, never was late or unpaid bill, what reason to drop score. Unfortunately did not get answer.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

This so called Credit Bureau is a total FRAUD, their website is 99% of the time shows this message "Online Identity Verification System Temporarily Unavailable" and the buttons to refresh the credit score are disabled but those allowing to order a paid version of the credit score are working... which is done on purpose to scam the poor people... Their phone service is awful and all is setup to get people pay for what they are supposed by law should get for free...

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I signed up hoping to get a free credit report. They asked for a credit card and, with it being a credit institution, I gave it to them. At no point did they ask for confirmation to put me back $24.95. I realized this only a few days later when I was making a payment for my credit card. I called customer service to find out what was going on and I came back empty-handed. I wasn't able to get in touch with a single human being, only useless answer machines. Go with Equifax or Experian.

TransUnion Company Information