TransUnion

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

These people operate their business in the worst possible way. I needed their report just once to sign a lease so I did. They don't make it clear on how to stop this service. I have been charged 16 dollars every month and wondering why until I realized it was from them. The problem is not that they make it very hush hush about cancelling the service, it's that they make it so difficult to get out of it. You can't find it anywhere on the website, have to stay in the line for hours and then I've heard stories of people whose service wasn't even cancelled after calling. This should be illegal. It's not moral. It's nasty business. I am never coming near that company again and just in case I am cancelling this credit card to make sure I don't get charged for this crap ever again.

I recently submitted a dispute for information on my credit report. The dispute was finalized and the information was removed from my credit report. In seeing that you would believe that my credit score would have increased. Instead my credit score dropped 48 points. I was confused so I called TransUnion and the lady that I was speaking to on the phone just kept rambling in circles because she did not know the answer. She kept trying to explain that all agencies use a different vantage system to score the credit score which does not make sense because your score should be similar to each other across all three credit reporting agencies.

When I explain to her that that is confusing and does not make any sense all she did was sound like a broken record and could not answer my questions and cats rambling in circles. When I ask if I can speak to somebody else she could not answer that simple question and put me on the phone with somebody they can answer my questions and that is the reason I am totally unsatisfied. Because TransUnion is the main agency used by all creditors to establish credit so to me TransUnion keeping a low score would cause me to have higher interest-rate.

I check my free credit report on an annual basis and also purchase a FICO score at that time. I've done this ever since the law was passed. This year, I wound up with TWO subscriptions (at $29.99 and $24.99) for useless "24 hour monitoring" which I neither requested or wanted. I was trying to purchase my annual FICO score and have now spent several hundred dollars on less than useless "credit monitoring" (which is available to me from several other sources for free). This is legal, but I have a master’s degree and didn't realize I was signing up for their service, so it clearly is deceptive. I can tell by the large numbers of similar complaints that this is a common practice.

I had a painful experience speaking with a Customer Service Representative from TransUnion. The young lady was speaking too fast, and not clearly. When I would ask her several times to please repeat herself she became attitudinal. She had a very thick European accent. To be a company that handles secured information, you must have more qualified professional people working for you that can speak and enunciate properly. It doesn't matter where a person is from, PROFESSIONALISM should be the main factor in delivering great customer service.

At first I signed up to get an instant credit report. A lot of people complain that TransUnion steals from you but it very clearly says you must cancel with 7 day or you will be charged the monthly subscription. I've signed up for it 3 different times and never had an issue. Moving on, I decided to keep the subscription and 6 months later I immediately got an email for TransUnion noticing me of a new inquiry... I froze access to my report from the website right away and contacted the person who pulled it. It turns out it was Kia financial for someone who applied for a car 1000 miles away. The only reason they didn't get the car is because the awesome person who pulled the report suspected fraud because all the addresses in my history were from California and when he asked the couple "where have you lived" they obviously didn't say California and they were denied. Thanks to TransUnion I found out with 1 hour of applying and was able to freeze it so that those people couldn't go to the next dealer.

I've been using it for 2 years now and love it. I recommend it to anyone. The only thing that I really want people to know out there is that you can get it for cheaper. After having it for 6 months I tried cancelling because 18 dollars a month is not much but it counts for something and the rep on the phone offered me a lifetime price of 9.95 be if I kept it... Shady scheme but I guess you can't blame them with rivals like credit karma... so I stayed. The other times I subscribed I cancelled after a month so I think that's why they didn't offer me a lower price. Just something to think about. I hope this helps.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Received a letter from Transunion Interactive saying they identified suspicious activity on my credit report. Called Transunion and they transferred me numerous times with different departments and the answer from Transunion was the same. (There is no suspicious online activity on my acct.) This is a marketing scam from Transunion to get you to sign up and pay for Fraud Alert on your account. The letter tells you to sign up and I went to the website and it is Transunion but it is their Interactive Division to get you to sign up for Fraud Alert and pay a monthly fee. This is fraud on their part advertising and making false statements to consumers to get them to pay for this service. Why would Consumer Affairs let a company that maintains so much of your private credit history and personal information continue to be allowed to be a consumer reporting agency? Their license should be revoked.

We went to refinance one of our vehicles and were told that our credit score was being significantly hurt due to a student loan. Neither of us have been to school, except a week-long course to obtain a crane operator certification. When the detailed report was pulled TransUnion creditor was the creditor listed. I placed a call on 12/08/2016 to TransUnion to resolve the issue. I am fluent in English and it is the only language I speak. The representatives I spoke with did not speak English and if they did it was broken. I asked to please speak to someone who was fluent in English. When I asked this I was hung up on.

The representative told me to file a dispute and in order to do so I need to send all proof of any account to them, social security number, and the reason for making a dispute. After telling her we are not comfortable sending the SSN through the mail she was very rude and continued to speak her language. She then told me it would take 30 days for the dispute to be handled. When asked where they are located she stated, "India." I am not comfortable sending my personal information to India and I do not know where it is being sent or whose hands it will end up in.

We have proof all courses that were taken were paid IN FULL by the due date. The representative continued to tell me it wasn't and that's why it went to them. Now we are in a constant battle trying to get this wiped from the credit score. These crane certification courses that were taken were from 2014 and it is now 2016. We were not aware of anything until 12/07/2016. The representatives are robotic and read straight from a script, and are unable to answer any question aside what is given from the script. This company is a scam and they should not be dealing with cases from the United States, and needs to be investigated to the fullest extent.

Transunion seems to hire incompetent people. They make mistakes affecting many people's lives. When asked to speak with a manager was told I would receive a call today regarding a dispute. Call never came. They dropped my score 20 points because of a dispute against a company that I never made. The other reporting agencies follow through and settle problems quickly. Transunion made the mistake and won't fix it. It is causing me huge financial troubles. They need to be monitored.

Was filling out a job application and re-directed to TransUnion. But since then they started charging my checking account 19.95. Not the way to get business... Very disturbed. I guess that's how some companies need to survive. Very poor.

This customer service is ridiculous. They're a bunch of robots reading from a script. I needed to lift a credit freeze, and they stated I needed to mail copies of my social security card and all kind of crazy info. This is absolutely nuts. I needed to do the same thing with Experian and it was easy-peasy. I need to lift my credit freeze to get approved for a credit card. THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

I went online to for a one time credit report with FICO score from TransUnion. One month later, I noticed recurring charges for $19.95 each month. I contacted TransUnion who stated that somehow I signed up for it??? I did not sign up for anything. They automatically enrolled me in the credit monitoring service at a charge of $19.95 per month, following 7 free trial days. I did not sign up for the program. I did not sign up for any trial period. I did not request anything. This is shady on the part of TransUnion. I contacted Discover credit to remove the charge which is pending. Watch out for this scam.

They use trial periods to lure you into signing up. What you don't know is that signing up means agreeing to be charged $16 a month forever. Having had an issue with my registration I had to re-fill the form, and I was charged TWICE for having fill the form twice even if I got an error message the first time. There is a dispute center button on the website which doesn't work or lead to anything, and there is no way to remove your credit card once it has been entered, or to cancel your service. Oh and I never got to see my credit score because "they couldn't verify my identity". I really hope this company fails miserably.

I went online to purchase a one time credit report with FICO score from TransUnion. Several months later, I noticed recurring charges for $19.95 each month. I contacted TransUnion who stated that if anyone purchases a FICO score, they are automatically enrolled in the credit monitoring service at a charge of $19.95 per month, following 7 free trial days. I did not sign up for the program. I did not sign up for any trial period. I did not request anything. This is fraud on the part of TransUnion.

My husband and I are looking into refinancing our mortgage. Before we went further, I wanted to check my credit score. I paid to have TransUnion pull my scores from the three major companies. The scores were surprisingly low. I told our mortgage broker it wasn't a good time for us because of my credit scores. He wanted to run them himself. With the same three companies, my score was 100 points higher. He said this often happens. I called TransUnion to cancel my account and complain about the discrepancy. I was told that the companies must not have the same information and that they stand by the score. No amount of reasoning made a difference. I would have made drastically different borrowing decisions based on TransUnion's information. In fact, if I didn't know better, I would have kept up with my TransUnion account to make sure my credit was improving. Herein lies the secret to their unearned success.

I created an account so I could check my credit score during the 1-week trial and cancelled that same week. Despite cancelling they charged me 19.95$ for three months. 60$ for a service I didn't even know I had. I called the customer service to complain and ask him how he could continue to work an establishment that scams people. Seriously, how is this company allowed to operate after so many complaints or fraud? This place needs to be shut down immediately.

I went to cancel because I discovered that borrowell.com offers a free way to see your credit score. The only way to cancel is to call customer service and go through the stupid automated phone system, then give an Indian rep a bunch of your personal information like a robot, then decline all of their attempts to convince you to not unsubscribe. There is literally no way or even mention of how to unsubscribe on the website. You can't even remove your payment information, it won't let you save it unless it's all filled out properly. I may have came back to this service in the future because it offers some detailed info, but black hat tactics like this to trap customers piss me off and I will NEVER pay a dime to Transunion again. I start typing to google "cancel Tra..." and tons of variations of how to cancel Transunion pop up. I'm not the only one...

I recently applied for a Chase credit card and TransUnion was the only reporting agency the denied my application. Even though I never had a missed or late payment they denied my application on the fact that I had too many credit cards. When I tried to investigate why the application was refused I had to apply to their service and pay the $1.00 trial fee. However they continued to charge my account every month after the trial period. How many people have had the same experience.

I sent a request in by fax (as advised) to remove a dispute from my credit and I was told it was only going to take 5 days for the removal. On the 5th day I called they said call back in 7 days. After the 7th day I was told they had not received the fax and to send another to the same number the same day and what 5 days not 7. I have called multiple times and I have faxed the letter in multiple times and still the dispute is there. TransUnion has failed to remove the dispute from my account and now I cannot have my credit ran to purchase a home for my family.

I feel like I was tricked into a Trial Subscription when I originally only wanted to view my credit score for $1. Of course, once I paid the $1 I saw the fine print that indicated I'd actually enrolled in a 1-Week Trial Subscription. Before the end of the week, I tried to cancel. However, there are no direct links or cancellation FAQs on the website, and contact info is hard to find. I Googled how to cancel, and came across the URL that allowed me to click on a cancellation link. I confirmed my intent to cancel several times (I think it asks you to confirm the times in a row), but did not receive a confirmation email. I then called customer service to cancel, but somehow my connection was lost when I asked the service rep for a cancellation confirmation. Fast forward 5 months and 5 credit card charge backs, TransUnion has still not cancelled by subscription. I have several cancellation confirmations, but continue to get billed.

I checked my credit report and noticed my score dropped 50pts. I have 3 credit monitoring svcs due to past credit fraud. Not helping at ALL obviously. And noticed my address changed and a similar name was placed on my acct. No one called nor was I even emailed/mailed about whether it was a change or needed to be verified. OK. Benefit of doubt. I called Transunion 1, 2, 3 times. Busy signal?? Third time csr says "hello" then hangs up. I wait 10mins then call then I get a clear answer from CSRs in India??? One CSR, a Supervisor, and then a CSR from the "Special handling department?"

Each time I spoke with a person none of my info was transferred so I had to RECITE and verify all my personal info including my social security number to god knows who on the other end... in another country when there are CSRs in America who can't pick up the phone. REALLY TransUnion America??? The CSR from India/Transunion listened and made notes on my acct for changes. Thanks Nepal Transunion. Same problem with Equifax. I am so done with these CRAs. I feel as though I need to personally go to these companies with lawyers. That is how frustrated and nowhere I feel about my credit reporting situation.

This company needs to be shut down. My wife and I applied for loan. It takes you to their website. I cancelled both accounts. What you know still charge me for one. So few days I check my emails and something was saying "since you are member instead 19 hr month we charge you 15". I emailed them soon right then. Few days later their response was call. So my wife calls and they said you have to call another #. I know that's lie because my mom cancelled her account with same phone number. I can't believe a credit place doing this.

When using SmartMove by Transunion I was basing my decision to rent to tenants on the information provided, which I was horrified to find out that the "criminal background check" was NOT NOT NOT based on the social security of the individual. It's based on NAME match. Are you kidding me? This was told to me by a SmartMove representative on the phone. I evicted someone and almost didn't rent to two different individuals because of the inaccurate info. I just got off the phone with a Superior Court in CA regarding a list of EIGHT felonies associated with my applicant to find out that NONE of them were associated with the social security of the individual. THUS it's false and potentially damaging information they are giving out. NEVER USING THEM AGAIN. PERIOD.

I paid off all of my student loans debt with CIBC a year ago and have letters of release to prove that. TransUnion Canada falsely reports that I still have outstanding CIBC student loan debt. This false report was on my statement for months providing wrong information to creditors. A month ago I submitted a dispute form indicating I have "no knowledge" of that account and providing letters from CIBC that clearly state my student loans are settled in full. Today I paid $21.95 to see update on my account and that false debt from CIBC student loan is still showing on my credit report. If I can be the victim of false information being placed by TransUnion Canada on my credit report so potentially can others as well.

Furthermore, two weeks ago I called TransUnion Canada dispute center to check if they received my dispute form and supporting documentation and they said they did receive my documents. The dispute representatives have such strong foreign accents - I asked them where they are located, they said they are located in India. I find it absolutely unacceptable that somebody from foreign country has full access to my personal and confidential credit information. One thing is to get outsourced tech support but having somebody from a foreign country snoop around in my personal credit information that's just plain wrong. TransUnion Canada is incompetent and unprofessional. They put false information on people's report and our credit suffers because they are either too lazy or too incompetent to fix their mistakes. I agree with other commenters that TransUnion is a scam and must be closed down!

I bought a 3 bureau credit score report from them for $30, and they put in the fine print that if you don't cancel your "monthly membership" which you never agreed to, they will charge you 21.55. Really disgusting that a credit bureau is so shady. I called to complain and asked to speak to the manager and was just told that I would be issued a refund.

I applied for a loan online. To obtain the loan you had to agree to a $1 charge for the Transunion credit score. This is a trick to get you into an unwanted membership. They do not ask if you want to become a member. They take a chance that you do not read their email confirmation to cancel before 7 days. Why should I have to cancel a product which I do not want? It is a scam for which Transunion should be investigated.

I am applying for a security clearance and have to be able to correctly report any accounts that maybe outstanding or any credit issues. I went to annualcreditreport.com to get my 3 credit bureau reports and was able to get Equifax and Experian however TransUnion says I already received my free report and refused to provide it. Even though I know I did not receive it ever I needed to get the information urgently so I click on a link on their site and agree to pay the $1.00 to receive my report as well as enroll in their credit monitoring service. Three days now have passed and the report is not available due to a technical issue and you are unable to log into your account to cancel the product, and must call them to cancel.

I am unable to just cancel apparently. After calling twice and being transferred each time, I have to listen to why I should stay for 10 minutes and then get "disconnected" when I ask to cancel anyways. Guess the phone lines overseas get cut off when you ask to have your account cancelled. I will be trying back again once I have gathered by composure to try and cancel again.

I cannot believe that this type of practice is allowed by the FTC, and this service is used by institutions such as Barclays and Apple for credit services. This type of predatory practice is criminal at worst and acting in Bad Faith as best. I would hope that none of you fall for this scam and will read the other one thousand + bad reviews on this organized crime ring called a credit bureau. I will read reviews from this day forward, but I thought I was safe with "reputable" company like TU. I will make sure that I do not do business with any company that will do business with this organization. If they care about their customers they will not use such a disreputable company.

They never send you an email confirmation that you are signed up with them so you have no real receipt or anything you can use to fight what they have done to you. Guess I will just have to wait until they bill my CC, and use that as my receipt if my 3rd attempt to cancel my account fails. I will be also filing a complaint with my State Attorney and the FTC for this type of criminal practice. Oh and I know they have already sold my email because I never receive junk mail, but now I am receiving junk mail every hour from a different company telling me my CC's have been cancelled due to fraudulent activities, and then trying to get me to sign up for more credit monitoring from other companies.

This product is really bad and I am shocked this is allowed to happen and is apparently endorsed by States that use TU to rate insurance and companies such as Apple/Barclays to grant credit for their products online or in stores. I cannot stress this enough. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! I wish I could provide a receipt to be able to be a verified buyer, but since they do not send any email confirmation I am unable.

In June 2016 I accepted a loan offer recommended by Credit Karma that was supposed to be one of several ways to help improve my credit rating. My TransUnion credit score at the time was 726. I accepted the loan offer and while reviewing my credit scores via Credit Karma in August 2016 I noticed that my TransUnion score had dropped 56 points and my Equifax score had dropped 41 points after the loan was added to my credit report. Had I known accepting a loan offer would hurt my credit scores so much, I never would have taken the loan. Had I known BEFOREHAND that accepting the loan offer would impact my credit scores so drastically, I definitely would not have taken it.

Why does everything have to come down to someone, somewhere gaining financially at another's expense? Why does everything have to include a scheme and furthermore, if Credit Karma and TransUnion claim to want help improve the quality of life for people, why not reveal ALL the pros and cons and let me decide from there? It's wrong, unfair, and simply unethical. I busted my ass to build strong credit scores only to have them taken away by someone sitting at a desk taking points away like it's a game.

I recently received notification that TransUnion dropped my credit score and one of the reasons was extremely inaccurate. I tried once again tried to obtain my free credit report online and of course it would not give it to me. I have never been successful at pulling my credit report from them without paying. They are also the only credit reporting company that reports inaccurate information about me. They are a fraud and the government should shut them down!!!

Signed up for their $1 credit offer, then shocked to find a $20 dollar charge on my credit card a few weeks later from them. Called them, and the customer service rep said I agreed to the charge when I signed up. I have zero recollection of that, as I'm generally very careful to review the fine print before signing up for anything. Beware.

Communication with TransUnion is unacceptable. The dispute representatives have the ability to describe what they need to do. Although, they were unable to answer my questions about what I wanted done and what was the most efficient way to have items removed from my credit report that were more than 7 years old. Their hours of operation begin at 8am. I called at 8:30am and I was told their supervisors were not available until after 9am. I called 6 times in one day before I was able to reach a representative in the online department who helped me log in to my account and complete the dispute information myself. I also requested the dispute representative to update my email address and change my password. The representative sent my confirmation information to the wrong email address.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.
  • Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.
  • Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.
  • Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.
  • Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.
  • Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.
  • Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.
  • Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.
  • Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.
  • Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Compare Credit Report Sites