2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.1/5 (334 ratings)

About TransUnion

TransUnion is one of the three national credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and Experian. Lenders, landlords, employers and other companies may pull credit reports from one or more of these bureaus. You can request a free copy of your TransUnion credit report once per year, or you can purchase credit monitoring for daily updates on your score and credit activity. This company also provides educational resources, consumer assistance services and other helpful tools for people looking to take control of their credit.

Pros

• Credit monitoring services
  • Credit offers
  • Free annual credit score

Cons

• May differ from other bureaus
  • Monthly cost for monitoring

Bottom Line

TransUnion is a credit agency that provides credit scores and reports to consumers. It also offers credit monitoring services, identity theft protection and credit offers from third-party lenders.

What is a TransUnion credit score?

TransUnion maintains a database of consumer information and assigns people credit scores based on those details. Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), you can request your credit report for free on Transunion’s website once per year. If you prefer real-time updates, you can sign up for its credit monitoring services that provide daily credit score updates, credit recommendations and online credit locks.

In addition to monitoring services, TransUnion offers free identity theft protection, financial calculators and credit offers. Its consumer assistance team can help with credit needs like disputed items, credit freezes, fraud alerts and assistance for active-duty military personnel. Consumers can also browse TransUnion’s credit education section to learn more about topics like debt, credit bureaus, mortgages and more.

Cost of TransUnion credit report

TransUnion’s credit monitoring services cost $24.95 per month and include daily credit updates, recommendations, credit locks, monthly tips and more. All consumers are entitled to one free credit report per year, and you can request this report online.

Transunion also provides free disputes on inquiries, credit score drops, personal information and incorrect accounts. It offers free identity theft protection through TrueIdentity and does not require a credit card to sign up. For pricing on TransUnion business services, contact one of its client support specialists.

TransUnion FAQ

What is a good TransUnion credit score?
A good TransUnion score ranges from 700 to 850. However, you can still qualify for lending opportunities and pass other credit checks with a score lower than 700.
What is your TransUnion credit score used for?
TransUnion credit scores are used to confirm your creditworthiness when you’re borrowing money, interviewing for certain jobs or applying for rental properties. You can request a copy of your credit report to see what creditors and others see when they check your credit.
What does TransUnion do?
TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus that compile data to create a credit score for each consumer. It lets you see your credit report for free once per year or with a subscription to its credit monitoring service.
What banks use TransUnion?
Many banks and lenders check all three credit bureaus, but this will vary from bank to bank. To confirm which agency your bank uses, check its website.
What lenders use TransUnion?
Most lenders check all three credit bureaus, but some have their own proprietary system for evaluating consumer credit. Check with your lender for more information on which agencies it uses.

Is TransUnion legit?

TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus, and it has a strong reputation for providing reliable, consistent credit scores. It offers credit monitoring services, fraud alerts, identity theft protection and other useful services to help consumers maximize their credit. By working on their TransUnion score, people can improve their credit standing with lenders, employers, landlords and more.

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I recently checked my credit score through my banking app (Scotiabank) and found my credit score had dropped more than 50 points. I called the bank and they directed me to TransUnion as it is TransUnion that provides the credit score accessibility through the Scotia app. I called TransUnion and there was no option to speak to a real person, just a redirect to the website chatbot. The website chatbot eventually spat out a 'hidden menu option' that wasn't in the automated phone system - press 2 on the main menu to access the Credit Disclosure menu. I called again and spoke to a real person, who directed me to their website to download my Credit Disclosure report for free. However, on the website, it requested credit card information to sign up as a member to access the Disclosure.

I called back, got someone new, and said the first responder had said I could get the report for free. She told me there's a system glitch and you have to clear your browser cache and cookies before going to the website to register as a non-member; if you've already been to the website, it automatically routes you to the membership page (though there is no difference in the pages, except one asks you for credit card information and one doesn't). It's a known problem, they just won't fix it.

I finally got my free Credit Disclosure report and there were no indications of anything that might've affected my credit score - no late/missed payments, no opened/closed accounts, no new credit inquiries (the last was from 7 months prior). I called again and spoke to a third new person. They walked me through my Disclosure and said "hmm, I can't see anything wrong, maybe the algorithm just reassessed your score, there's nothing I can do." He literally said there was no reason for a change and nothing I could do to fix it, as "it was the algorithm" - the same algorithm that had been calculating my score 50 point higher for the past several months. TransUnion arbitrarily dropped my score, made it an extremely complicated process to look into why (without paying their monthly membership fee, of course), and "couldn't" fix it. And that's going to affect the interest rate I pay on a car, or a home, or a loan. What an absolute joke.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I signed up TransUnion because I saw a 75% off promotion for the first month and I want to know my credit scores before applying for a car loan, but during the payment process there was no confirmation on how much I was paying, and I realized that I was charged for the full amount, but they refused to refund me the difference. I subscribed Equifax who offers the first month for free at the same time and found that Equifax is much more up to date on any credit changes. I would NOT recommend TransUnion to anyone at all!

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

My car has been paid off since Aug 31st and Transunion was notified plus a late payment was taken off and I've been fighting with them to take it off Equifax is up to date and I lost a loan on a brand new vehicle because of them. They do not care about the consumer. They do not correct their mistakes

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021
    So, I called TransUnion some time ago to report a credit report for my credit-- or had an inquiry on my credit report. And they told me to write in a letter, which I did. So I called them, “Hey, I haven’t got any feedback from you.” And they told me that I need to call the creditors to ask for a letter of deletion. I don’t want have to call the creditors and say, “Hey, I’m not aware of this.” It’s not even a collection because I don’t owe nobody. I’m not aware of this or had inquiries on my credit report. The creditors said that they don’t have any right to remove it, that I have to dispute it with the trade bureaus, which I did. So TransUnion is telling me to go back and forth. It doesn’t make no sense to me. I really need your help. I don’t know who’s gonna help me out, because we’re really, really, really frustrated.  TransUnion always make it difficult to get your inquiries removed from your credit report. Equifax is fine. You don’t have a problem with Equifax. You don’t have a problem with Experian. Equifax would tell you, “Send your IDs and blah, blah, blah,” and that’s it. But TransUnion, oh my God, they just want to make it difficult even when you are not aware of having inquiries on your credit report. They just don’t listen. I have a problem with that. From calling, to sending them a letter, to calling, to them directing you to do something else, it’s really, really, really not encouraging. And that’s really sad. I don’t even know what to say. So you people really need to look into TransUnion, because they’re making it difficult for innocent...
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Isn't it great how a company knows how much they hold your livelihood in the palm of your hand treats you? The fact that they haven't claimed this account should be a view into how they treat the peasants such as ourselves, aka consumers. -Erroneously changing my credit score with no rhyme no reason. Maybe because I work myself to the bone to make sure I have great credit, they don't like that. Let's make her fall behind and make her seemingly irresponsible for no good reason at all! YAY! -Charging sick fees to not only view your score, but trick the consumer in getting a 3 score report only to find out you have to pay MORE, once you've paid already. Fantastic! -Constant, constant "system maintenance" on my account. YIPPEE!

They know they can do this at will, and there is NOTHING we can do to refute it. Because they're big, we're little, they're tall, we're short, they can delete our whole existence, and we just have to sit there and take it. Begging for a crumb because without our world revolves around credit. What a sick world we live in. We just have to take it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Score very SLOW to improve with significant improvements to credit file. Yes, the significantly lowered balances, payoffs, all positive updates are listed on the report. SCORE VERY QUICKLY DROPS BY DOUBLE DIGITS WITH BALANCE INCREASES! UNFORTUNATELY many lenders and credit card issuers rely heavily on Transunion’s pathetically unreal scoring. Transunion is truly bad for the lending business and consumers. My scores from all other sources and my FICO score always average 50 plus points higher than Transunion. Unfortunately Transunion does not have to worry with being held accountable to consumers. We have no control. Truly pathetic in every way.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Do not pay 29.95 plus tax for a credit report!. All you get is the summary you already saw before you made the purchase. You are lead to believe that you're getting a full report from the 3 credit report agencies but all you get is a TransUnion summary and as you are trying to find the report, below the summary report it says get your updated report from the 3 bureaus so you think that's your report but they want you to pay another 29.95 for an "updated summary". Another thing, you think you're getting a free trial but if you don't remember getting one in the past because it was under a different email, they do not let you know that up front, they do not link ss# and personal info. Only emails. So that was another 24.95 that I didn't get back after canceling my subscription. Even Credit Karma will tell you, you already have an account if you sign up with a different email in the past.

I have paid almost $58 for absolutely nothing, well I get a daily spam emails from them for car insurance and credit cards. On their on hold recording they even tell you because of covid you can get a free credit report every 7 days on ** from all 3 bureaus and you can also get a free credit report from Transunion every 30 days but you don't see that on their website, they keep trying to get you to pay 29.95. I went to Transunion because I thought it was the best most reputable bureau, I also thought it was the main one and that I would get the most accurate report but what I got was ripped off but I did get a detailed report from Credit Karma and ** for free. Their website is nothing more than credit card advertisements and spam.

I thought people were trying to get out of debt but Transunion know the right one for all of us. Nothing more than a money making screen. Very disappointed, I always thought Transunion was a very reputable company. By the way I went to Transunion to buy a full credit report, the best report because I wanted as much detail as possible. I have paid before and that's not the problem, I feel they're very deceitful.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I got on the TransUnion website to access my free credit report. But because of their deceptive website, I ended up signing up for a subscription that costs $25 a month without realizing it. Nowhere on the page did it say anything about a charge. I thought I was just creating a free account in order to see my credit report. BEWARE when using Transunion!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

The TransUnion Company now is not the same. It's really sad to people who are trying to live up to the standards of maintaining a good credit score. I have been a victim of dramatically reducing my score...just because they can..even while all my bills are paid and are not behind.. they give the other creditors False information saying I'm late on payments or TransUnion will state. The people I have accounts with haven't updated their payment history.

I was even a victim of dropping my score because I paid off an account early.. Who are these people that work at transunion? For years with all the credit I've obtained. They only give my scores around 630 to 680.. I never get 700 or above... Plus, they didn't put on my account..an entire credit card I obtained & paid off.. Consumer Affairs we need y'all's help... Transunion need to be shut down..They are a bunch of lazy no investigating workers that have no empathy or intelligence. Plus...Who are these people working there..It's a very sad time for America using transunion..The other two seem fair...

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I checked my credit report with the other two credit reporting companies without issue. TransUnion is very careful to hide the fact that you are actually signing up to pay for a monthly $24.95 fee, when all you think you're doing is setting up a simple account to check your credit report. I cancelled within minutes, but I was stuck with the $24.95 payment. Don't fall for it. The other two credit report companies provide the info for free. You don't need TransUnion.

TransUnion Company Information