3.6/5 (705 ratings)

About TransUnion

TransUnion is one of the three national credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and Experian. Lenders, landlords, employers and other companies may pull credit reports from one or more of these bureaus. You can request a free copy of your TransUnion credit report once per year, or you can purchase credit monitoring for daily updates on your score and credit activity. This company also provides educational resources, consumer assistance services and other helpful tools for people looking to take control of their credit.

Pros

• Credit monitoring services
  • Credit offers
  • Free annual credit score

Cons

• May differ from other bureaus
  • Monthly cost for monitoring

Bottom Line

TransUnion is a credit agency that provides credit scores and reports to consumers. It also offers credit monitoring services, identity theft protection and credit offers from third-party lenders.

What is a TransUnion credit score?

TransUnion maintains a database of consumer information and assigns people credit scores based on those details. Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), you can request your credit report for free on Transunion’s website once per year. If you prefer real-time updates, you can sign up for its credit monitoring services that provide daily credit score updates, credit recommendations and online credit locks.

In addition to monitoring services, TransUnion offers free identity theft protection, financial calculators and credit offers. Its consumer assistance team can help with credit needs like disputed items, credit freezes, fraud alerts and assistance for active-duty military personnel. Consumers can also browse TransUnion’s credit education section to learn more about topics like debt, credit bureaus, mortgages and more.

Cost of TransUnion credit report

TransUnion’s credit monitoring services cost $24.95 per month and include daily credit updates, recommendations, credit locks, monthly tips and more. All consumers are entitled to one free credit report per year, and you can request this report online.

Transunion also provides free disputes on inquiries, credit score drops, personal information and incorrect accounts. It offers free identity theft protection through TrueIdentity and does not require a credit card to sign up. For pricing on TransUnion business services, contact one of its client support specialists.

TransUnion FAQ

What is a good TransUnion credit score?
A good TransUnion score ranges from 700 to 850. However, you can still qualify for lending opportunities and pass other credit checks with a score lower than 700.
What is your TransUnion credit score used for?
TransUnion credit scores are used to confirm your creditworthiness when you’re borrowing money, interviewing for certain jobs or applying for rental properties. You can request a copy of your credit report to see what creditors and others see when they check your credit.
What does TransUnion do?
TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus that compile data to create a credit score for each consumer. It lets you see your credit report for free once per year or with a subscription to its credit monitoring service.
What banks use TransUnion?
Many banks and lenders check all three credit bureaus, but this will vary from bank to bank. To confirm which agency your bank uses, check its website.
What lenders use TransUnion?
Most lenders check all three credit bureaus, but some have their own proprietary system for evaluating consumer credit. Check with your lender for more information on which agencies it uses.

Is TransUnion legit?

TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus, and it has a strong reputation for providing reliable, consistent credit scores. It offers credit monitoring services, fraud alerts, identity theft protection and other useful services to help consumers maximize their credit. By working on their TransUnion score, people can improve their credit standing with lenders, employers, landlords and more.

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: May 24, 2022

I was force to give a star rating. I would give a zero star but to do the review I had to. This credit bureau should be a good bureau for consumers' credit but unfortunately the people that are running it lack of knowledge on how to clear and increase the credit score compare to the other 2 bureaus. I have been disputing with them a collection charge for $59 from spectrum where spectrum has agreed that it was a mistake. I have been in talks with the Credit management collection where they have been more than helpful requesting this error to be removed from my credit report. They have submitted electronically request to have it removed since October 2021 but they still won’t. The collection agency has provided me with an AUD # and still can’t. The csr I have spoken to have no idea what an AUD # is .

The other 2 agencies have been able to remove it. They have no service to upload facts of dispute and they keep refusing to give a US phone number. I have talked 4 different times and my calls have always been routed to the Philippines. They are behind on updating the reports. Even they keep saying they have not received anything from the collection agency even tho 2 days after the collection agency submitted the request my credit report went from open to close but they still refuse to remove it. I feel very disappointed about how a company of this magnitude doesn’t pay better attention how they are servicing consumers and how our lives can be affected by their unprofessional and careless personnel. I just hope this review can be seen by someone from consumer affairs and do a thoroughly investigation so consumers like me can have their lives affected this much. Hope this help is all who are going thru this.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Froze my credit with the three big credit agencies. Had to lift the freeze during a home sale. TransUnion's website requires email confirmation to login. That doesn't work. Called their customer service number. The robot attendant asked for all my information which I keyed in. The robot couldn't accept the end date for the freeze lift. Couldn't get a human on the phone. Had to call back. Had to rekey all my personal information to get to a live person. Got someone in Guatemala who was nearly impossible to understand. They wanted my SSN, etc. again. I asked for someone in the US. They said that was impossible. After insisting they put me on a long hold and transferred me to someone in the US who I could understand and who ultimately took care of the issue. 45 mins to do a simple credit lift.

TransUnion is a profitable company. HIRE CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE!

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2022

My Credit report shows credit card balances that changed consistently since more than 30 days. My Fico changes accordingly, Transunion doesn’t. Therefore their reports and scores are unreliable and misleading.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I have a credit freeze on all the 3 credit bureaus. Trans Union violated my consumer rights and did various credit checks and hard hit without my knowledge or permission. I have reported them to government agencies. This company has a breach and cannot be trusted. I reported them to a government agency and their reply was asking for personal information sent to them trying to avoid their breach of confidentiality. I would not give them my personal information after you violated my security freeze. This company should be sued and shut down. Your personal credit is not safe with this company even with a freeze.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I signed up the other day for an Experian credit report for about $25. They gave me a full, detailed report I could download and scores from the two other credit bureaus. For the same amount I purchased a report from TransUnion. They gave me a brief summary with ads - no full report, no download or print capability, no comparison scores from other bureaus. To get the full report I had to talk to a supervisor in their support call center. She had me create yet another account on service.transunion.com. There I could print the full report but with no credit score! That would cost more money! Furthermore - TransUnion's information was 3 years old, while Experian's was up to date. TU's score was also 100 points less than Experian. I found out that TU uses the Vantage 3.0 model while Experian uses FICO 8.

Here's a quote from debt.com: The FICO scoring model is considered the most reliable because it has the best track record. It has been around since 1989 and there have been numerous revisions over the last three decades to take into account the changing factors that determine an accurate credit score. --- Don't waste your time or money with TransUnion unless you MUST fix their mistakes.

Original review: April 12, 2022

This company still operates under the belief that withholding information from consumers is perfectly acceptable. There's no way for me to actually know whether or not I was getting anywhere with them. For all I know they were tossing me around the office to a different operator instead of moving me up to speak to management because every new person I spoke to gave me the EXACT same information. And they were very smug about wanting to help. There was zero empathy in their voices and I felt like they really didn't care about helping.

What's worse is that we don't even have a CHOICE on what company to use. I think this needs to change. I would prefer to not deal with TransUnion ever again if given the choice. I don't understand how in this day and age we are forced to have our credibility scrutinized by a third-party company that is not of our own choosing.

Original review: April 1, 2022

My score dropped 48 points for no reason. Transunion Score is now 70 points lower than Experian and Equifax, with the same reported information to all three bureaus. Transunion has failed to provide a reasonable explanation to why this is the case, other than it’s their “proprietary scoring model” that is causing the difference.

Transunion refuses to fix or address the discrepancy or provide any transparency regarding the method in which scores are calculated, why the score dropped and why it is lower than the other reporting agencies. A large number of consumers on social media and consumer sites are complaining of Transunion Score being significantly lower than the other bureaus, or the score suddenly decreasing and fluctuating for no apparent reason, or for paying off loans to term and as agreed, paying off credit cards, or after having disputed information removed. Someone needs to open an investigation/federal inquiry to Transunion or file a class action suit. Their scoring model is flawed, egregious and harmful to consumers, causing credit denials and higher interest rates. I have submitted a complaint to ** and suggest anyone having this issue do the same!

Original review: March 30, 2022

Trans Union LLC accepted fake claims from Kingston company without any verification. They do not like to verify anything and they are working against customers - no intention to solve any problems to verify any numbers.

Original review: March 20, 2022

On the TransUnion website, they indicate that we can request our free Credit Disclosure. I completed all the questions and entered the "code" they sent me to confirm my email. When I submitted the request, a message pops on screen indicating that the offer is no longer available. The cost is $19.95 per month to obtain the credit disclosure. I closed the website without going any further. They trick you into entering all your personal information and have no intentions of providing the credit disclosure online for free as advertised.

Original review: March 13, 2022

TransUnion scores are not correct. I have called them, asked them to fix it, called them again, non stop calling them for a week and they have not fixed my credit scores. I'm not happy with their reporting! The other credit bureaus are correct. I cannot get TransUnion to fix anything. I give them a bad rating and I'm going to report them to the Better Business Bureau too.

TransUnion Company Information