1.01/5
Based on 84 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

664 TransUnion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

Not sure how my score can be 20 points lower on TransUnion than the 3 other companies with the same thing on both but I know TransUnion spams my inbox to sign up for a monthly fee to monitor my credit when the other's do not... I'm beginning to think there may be favors if you sign up. Maybe my score will go up if I join? I don't understand why so may companies go by this one credit bureau. Think they are a scam and need investigated.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Address information is impossible to update. They only accept two pieces of address documentation, that have to be EXACTLY the same. My state driver's license does last name comma first name, and the second document does the name as one string (first name middle last name.) It was a bank statement... pretty trustworthy. Not sure why a business exists that can affect people's credit so drastically, yet is run so poorly.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My credit rating recently dropped by almost 60 points because my mortgage company sold my mortgage to another company. No changes to balance, payment amount, or interest rate. Contacting TransUnion was a complete waste of time. First they blamed Credit Karma (5 stars for them) who provides my credit reports even though I was looking at the TransUnion report. They don't have any history on file, so they couldn't look at the previous report, had no idea why anything happened, and then required me to pay $10 to get a detailed report. It is extremely unfortunate that such a company controls how banks look at your credit. If I ran my business as they do, I would have been bankrupt in two weeks!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I wanted to look at my credit report and did a search on free credit reports. I clicked the link to the TransUnion page assuming I would not be charged without prior notification. Once on their page I entered in my information. Nowhere on the site did it say I would be charged a subscription fee. My bank showed a charge of $19.95 which I had not authorized (the website said they need my account number in order to calculate the report). I did not see any note anywhere that I would be charged.

The first call I made to their customer service was awful. The lady who responded (foreign) denied that I had any reason to complain and was quite rude. Later that day, I called and a different person was able to cancel (I hope) the charge and subscription. This is obviously a bait and switch - search for a free report, go to the page, enter your information and incur a recurring monthly fee that is hidden. This company's web page should be shut down until they make it clear that you will be charged monthly for the info you submit.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I was a victim of identity theft. I contacted all 3 credit bureaus with fraud alerts and freezes on my accounts, letting them know I was disputing two accounts opened in my name as well as inaccurate phone numbers on my account (I did this through my credit report). I finally get their investigation results and they state that these two credit cards that were opened by thieves in a city about 4 hours away from me, which I have never lived or even visited, were verified and accurate. I have a police report and Federal Trade Commission report which were sent to them and there is a letter from one of the cards, who just finished their investigation, stating it was fraud and have sent information to all Credit Bureaus to remove this information.

Also TransUnion, just like Equifax, has given the fraudulent address as MY address. I am afraid to contact them to correct all of the misinformation in my report because I am concerned they will once again provide the wrong information to my creditors regarding my address and have my accounts blocked again or closed, just as happened with Equifax.

Again, they are supposed to help protect our identity and are not listening or actually contacting proper representatives because both of these banks know there was fraud and were investigating them as such and they also have the police report and Federal Trade Commission identity theft report. How can they get it so wrong and victimize me once again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: June 6, 2018

TransUnion continues to report inaccurate or false information on my credit report. I have disputed these inaccuracies multiple times with documentation to prove them, and they refuse to delete them from my file.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Tried to place a freeze on my account after the Equifax hack. I thought that's what I had done, until I realized they'd been charging me $21 every month. Evidently, I actually placed a "lock" on my account and signed up for a membership of credit monitoring, which is not what I wanted (They make it very difficult to find the freeze info, per this article: **). I canceled that membership using these guidelines (**) and placed a freeze (linked in the Cleveland.com article). Ridiculous that they're preying on people like this.

Original review: May 26, 2018

They had my address showing an apartment number even though it’s not. The other two credit bureaus had it correct, but obviously TransUnion made the keying error. In order to correct it, I had to respond correctly to questions posed by CSR’s speaking with heavy accents, which I attended on three separate occasions and also sent them documents proving my correct address. Each time I answer the questions I was told I failed to answer them accurately. 3 times, they sent me copies of my credit report even though I never asked for it. Finally, after sending them documents in the mail and calling them three times to have the apartment number removed from my address, I escalated the matter to a supervisor who promised to correct the error (this promise was awesome made by the previous made phone calls). It remains to be seen whether they will have corrected the problem.

Finally, after sending them documents in the mail and calling them 3 times to have the apt number removed from my address, I escalated the matter to a supervisor who promised to correct the error (this promise was also made by a CSR on a previous phone call). It remains to be seen whether they will have corrected the problem. In order to get them to do their jobs correctly, apparently you have to turn them over to the FTC, which I intend to do in the next couple of weeks if I don’t see the correction on my credit report. Bottom line is, we are not their customers. We did not hire them or choose to work with them. They have our personal data and enough information to cause tremendous harm. The only way to get them to do a better job is to continually report their bad practices and poor service to the FTC.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My initial contact with TransUnion was on Nov. 16, 2017 when I needed a credit report for a potential landlord. My understanding was that it cost $19,95 for the report, I filled in my credit card information, and received the report for my landlord. It was my own negligence in not noticing that $19,95 has been charged to my credit card every month since then for six additional months. Apparently I 'subscribed' to a monthly service, but I certainly the word 'subscription' does not stand out in my memory. It must have been in the fine print.

TransUnion did send monthly reports, but I thought they were promotional. At no time did they affirm or inform that $19.95 had been charged to my account. When I phoned the company to cancel my subscription, they said they were not able to provide an email validation or record of my agreement. I'm out of pocket $119.70. Company did not offer to return money. I blame myself for not catching it sooner on my credit card statements. Please advice consumers that it is deceptively easy to 'subscribe' to TransUnion for something you don't want. I now have concerns that this situation will come back at me and affect my credit rating.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I don't understand why everyone uses TransUnion. They're full of lies and seems like they try and fill in missing pieces and their accuracy is so far from truth! The other two companies listen to both sides of the story and let you submit proof for your side but, TransUnion on the other hand seem to work on ruining your credit with the scammers. Middle Eastern people who screwing with people lives but, their judgement day is coming and they'll get theirs 10 fold!! Thanks for ruining my life!!! And you're the only one of 3!

I'm a single mom with CHF who has been cleaning up my credit for four years and other 2 B's have worked with me and they have been working against me even with proof and you have costed me everything but, I will continue to pray for conviction on you! Oh and I believe wholeheartedly that you're the ones leaking personal information of millions to the middle Eastern scammers who constantly calling daily scamming!!! Our government allows it 'cause it weaves out thousands 'cause there isn't enough for everyone!! But, repercussion will come when God comes back!!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I cancelled my subscription with TransUnion on 05/05/18. That same day they sent a cancellation confirmation stating I will no longer be billed and can access my account until 06/06/18. This morning I was going through my bank statement. On 05/07/18 TransUnion took their normal monthly fee from my bank account. I have the email they sent to confirm and screenshot of bank transaction. Now to get my money back and stop them from future withdraws, they're worst than the creditors because they have access to your accounts and they will access them. I tried to get the billing department. I'm told to contact sales representative if I have question regarding billing. I will let you know how it turns out.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I paid for the service so that I could monitor my credit score, when I tried the first time to access their site, I got NA, so I called support to notify there may be an issue, the person apologized then told me they were having issues with some of the users, hence I was affected, told me to check on Saturday. So I tried on Sunday and it still showed NA, so I called again, again they told me they will call or send an email to let me know when I could access my account, it has been a week and a half and no one called or emailed me. It seems to me there was never an issue with the system and they were lying. Today called and asked TransUnion to refund me for the non-service. What a waste.

Original review: April 30, 2018

First off hold times are ridiculous if you call first thing in the morning when on the East Coast. Longer holds more understandable if calling after that as more time zones would be calling in. Why not set up a call queue like many companies have to return calls in the order received. Secondly, why do I have to input answers to all questions if you are not yet open? Why not advise us to call back during business hours and state what that is, INCLUDING time zone.

Original review: April 23, 2018

15 HOURS or more I have spent wasting my time talking to TransUnion reps. They have given me the wrong information, not done what they said they would do, not called when they said they would, started a dispute in my account without my permission, dropped my credit score for no reason, the list is endless. As others have said, unexplainedly they dropped my credit score 20 plus pts in November. NOTHING was wrong with my credit.

After at least 10 phone calls to them, someone finally admitted TransUnion decided to change their scoring model and it dropped everyone's score. They did not announce it. I spoke to a government agency and they said they didn't know about it either. I will not go talk to offshore reps as they are never correct. The US reps are not any better. I question the legality of this company and think there should be a class action lawsuit. Credit scores have an enormous impact on people's lives. TransUnion SHOULD NOT be allowed to harm everyone this way.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Like others, I signed up for what I thought was a free credit check and not only was I surreptitiously charged for a 99.95/yr subscription but after speaking with a rep (who was rude and insisted I signed up for the service) and cancelled the charge, I was charged a second time three days later for the same amount. To boot, I was able to dispute the first transaction with my bank but there's no option to do so with the second, identical charge. Very strange.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The background to this incident is that my credit score, as reported on Credit Karma dropped from 851 to 823, for no apparent reason. I wanted to find out why, so I called them on their 'contact us' phone line. This was about 7-10 days ago: I spoke to a TransUnion representative on the phone. I asked if she could tell me why my credit score, as shown on Credit Karma, had declined. She told me that TransUnion was not involved in calculating my score; that it was Credit Karma who determined my score. I advised her of my previous dealings with Credit Karma, who told me that they did not calculate scores; they just provided access to them. The TransUnion rep then told me that I should check with Equifax. I told her that Credit Karma had expressly advised me (as confirmed on their site) that they obtained their scores from TransUnion and not Equifax. The TransUnion rep then asked me to hold on and she would access my file.

She asked me some 'security questions' and told me that I had passed the security screening. She then reviewed my file and told me that there was absolutely nothing in my file that would account for a decrease in my credit score. I expressed frustration and said that I was being led in circles and I reiterated that it could only be TransUnion that had decreased my score. She then told me that the only way I could find out why my score had decreased was to access my file on TransUnion's website, and she provided me with the URL for their website. I accessed the site, and while doing so I was again asked a number of security questions, which included the provision of credit card information. I then accessed my file, but was no further ahead in trying to determine why my score had decreased. There was nothing in my file that addressed that issue.

I signed out of their site, and within 5 minutes and I received an email receipt from TransUnion, thanking me for my application for them to be my credit monitor, and advising that I had been charged $19.95. This was outrageous, as I had not intended to pay them anything or apply for anything. I was simply following her direction that I log onto their site to ascertain why my credit score had decreased. I immediately called TransUnion and a different agent answered the phone. When I started to explain what had happened, she immediately told me that she would cancel the transaction and refund the $19.95. I haven't confirmed with my credit card issuer, but I expect that they followed through. If not, I will take further steps. In any event, this interaction with TransUnion was completely unsatisfactory, almost to the point of being fraudulent, and I think you should know about it. Thanks.

Original review: April 16, 2018

When I bought my credit report from them I was sure I was only getting a one time report for $4.95 and not a $19 monthly subscription! I have an absolute aversion to getting trapped in subscriptions mostly because you forget and unless you are really paying attention can pay for years for nothing. After going back and studying the website... Yes I was in the wrong. I should have paid a lot closer attention to the details. This type of scam I am sure works well for them and would bet that most of their victims... I mean customers have no idea that they are paying monthly. To me it summarizes the company's character and would not deal with them again if my life depended on it. I am just glad I caught it when I did!!! I feel sorry for those that don't. On top of that there is something creepy about a company "stealing", so to speak, my personal information of those I have dealt with and then selling it back to me.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Visited TransUnion website for information, clicked signup, went through the signup process. When they asked for a credit card info, double checked that there is no info about any charges, and after click submit - here you go, they subscribed you with a 19.95 monthly payment and already charged your credit card. Immediately canceled subscription, called their customer service, and they don't provide a refund. Absolutely terrible experience. I feel cheated.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My anger and frustration will probably reduce my ability to write coherently. Nonetheless, I would like to blurt out a few things. I was only able to see my credit score via Bank of America (some program I signed up for with them a couple years ago, I think). I wanted to complain about my credit score to TransUnion because I paid off ALL of my loans over a year ago, and when I did my credit score actually dipped. I reviewed my credit report, and everything looks accurate, so why is my score not awesome?? I did make a couple late payments to my home loan (before I sold my house), but that was almost a year and a half ago. Since then, like I said, I paid off my loans and credit card and have barely used my credit cards since (and when I do, I pay it off immediately). It's total ** that my credit score isn't at least 720.

TransUnion's website indicated that I can only contact them if I create an account first, so I did. But, first of all, they only offer a way to dispute something on your report, not to make other complaints. The only way to voice my complaint, apparently, was to call them. So, I did. I received a message that there is a higher than normal call volume, so please hold. Uh huh, so I wait a few minutes, give up and wait a few days. Again I receive this message and listen to music. After waiting 5 minutes, I give up and write this.

Another thing that irks me is that after I created an account with TransUnion, I couldn't view my credit score anywhere on their website (while logged in). It seems they wanted me to pay them money to be able to obtain information that they created about me! I still have access to my score via BofA, but I find it very WRONG that they get away with this.

We need to elect folks who care about our privacy and our right to be informed, and electing Trump and his greedy, spoiled, immoral buddies has moved us extremely far from ever obtaining common sense protections for common people. Too bad a third of our country is asleep and another third is completely brainwashed, unable to think rationally, and angry at the very people who are trying to improve their lives.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I signed to look up my credit score for free. Four months later, and I saw $19.95 charged on my banking account by TransUnion. I called and they refused to refund. They said that I signed and it isn't for free. No email, no notification, no warning, and nothing, snatched money out of my bank just like that.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I am a U.S. citizen living in Canada. When I tried to freeze U.S. credit report I was told I needed to complete the action online and choose my own PIN. By this action, no physical mail would be sent to my former address in the U.S. The website did not work. When I tried to get help from customer service, the representatives were only able to direct me from department to department. No one had the ability to provide customer service.

Original review: April 7, 2018

They charged me 19.95 with literally no evidence or clarification that they were going to charge me, as I was signing up, before receiving any product, then did not send any email stating I was charged, and returned an error stating my information could not be validated. Bank statement has the 19.95 charge listed but even after talking to a support member, couldn't help me. Since it's Saturday, they couldn't even transfer me to the right place to fix the issue. So now we wait until Monday to sort out a problem where there shouldn't be one to begin with. After starting this review, I seriously couldn't find a single line stating I would be charged, nor an agreement to the subscription, nor the amount I would be charged for. Checked the terms and all that, nothing. I could not recommend this less.

Original review: March 30, 2018

They haven't updated my information since 1995. They have the job I had at that time along with the address I had at that time. This is nuts! These people call the shots? Lol. Wow! The other Credit reports were spot on and my score was good. This is insane.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I was concentrated on working and did not check my credit card for 6 month in great details. When I did I found that Transunion charged to my credit card $19.95 each month for the last 6 month for doing absolutely nothing. When called in they said I subscribed their service which I do not aware of. I would thought that service means you do something for people. I did not even know or understand what I am paying for. To prevent people from such a charge, my advice is that never deal with this company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Been trying to call about getting my information updated, for months, every time I call, they spend time going through list of questions and verification, then when you finally discuss your problem, they will say, "I am sorry, we are not able to do anything about it," and then forwards to another department, and then after going through list of questions and verification again, when you finally start discussing updating my address information, then they say, "We can't help you, it should have been the first department, call them again."

This has been going on for months, sometimes they will say, the information we have has been updated, but will take a month to show up, which never does. Nobody knows how to provide any kind of relevant customer service over the phone, even though somehow they are suppose to have all my confidential information. This has been going on for months. Very disappointing!!! If you have had a bad customer service experience in the past, you should try calling TransUnion customer service, because then you will know what worst customer service is like! I wish they didn't my personal information because they do not respect or value my information at all!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

As bad as Equifax or worse! I can't submit a dispute to stop reporting incorrect name because I guess, I am not a paid customer. TransUnion site refuses to load and just gives out errors or freezes. How can they provide a correct report if they can't even fix their site. They should not be trusted with our socials, addresses, or anything. I am angry and wish them nothing but shut down forever...

Original review: March 13, 2018 TransUnion occupies an important position in the country for everyone knows TransUnion and TransUnion is one of the 3 major and official credit reporting bureaus. However, TransUnion is not living up to its name nor it is honoring its position for TransUnion does not do the right thing when it comes to customers who are no one else but the citizens of this nation for TransUnion is already negligent, careless, uncaring and it is showing the threads of becoming corrupted.

I am just an example of those many that TransUnion has impacted because of its own faults and as it turns out TransUnion does not show me any portion of my credit file nor it gives any updates or alerts unless I pay its monthly subscription; those actions are unacceptable.

Meanwhile, TransUnion does play a major role in the decisions of creditors to reject me. However, TransUnion has an incomplete file about me since it only shows one employer listed and that employers name is misspelled. For a long time, TransUnion refused to give me a credit score but now that it supports the unethical Credit Torres Services- Suddenly a low credit score appears and that credit score is inaccurate because I do have positive credit lines in good standing that TransUnion has failed to list in my credit file because of its incompetence. I did tried to follow its dispute format but since I am not a paid subscriber - TransUnion refused to allow me to dispute. TransUnion unacceptable performance has been reinforced by its alliance with Torres Credit Services which has caused high rates of issues to the people and also by TransUnion acquisition of Factor Trust; both entities are fraudulent and corrupted.

Nowadays, there are all these emerging credit reporting bureaus aside from the 3 major credit reporting bureaus and it was not long ago that TransUnion was officially reprimanded and cited and although the people might not realize it- TransUnion does not hold supreme sovereignty anymore and those times when it was forbidden and unthinkable to question the great TransUnion; Those time are over- I do question the great TransUnion for it has wronged me. Therefore, I would be able to proceed if the time to hold TransUnion accountable comes. My advice for the people is to question TransUnion for that there are ways to make TransUnion to comply when TransUnion has wronged the people and it refused to correct its mistakes but I just cannot talk about them. Is it not wonderful? An entity who has the duties of guiding the people and show their transparency but instead that entity is working against the people.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I wish I had seen these reviews before I used TransUnion to check my credit report! Obtaining the credit report was straightforward. When it came time to "see my score" there was no indication of how much it would cost. I was expecting $9.99 or something thereof and "assumed" I would verify the charge before committing to the charges. The "fees" were never divulged. I became suspicious and found these reviews. I went back to the TransUnion page and tried to figure out how to cancel. It was tricky to say the least. A page would come up and quickly disappear. I had to hold the cursor over the link 5 times to snipe the link. These folks are complete SCAMMERS!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

As many others have already stated here, TransUnion is very sneaky. They are the worst of the 3 credit reporting agencies in my opinion. As others have mentioned, they purposely keep your score many points lower than the others with no valid reason. You call to ask why and cannot get a straight answer. They speak very poor English, difficult to understand, and read the same BS over and over from a script. They do not satisfactorily answer you, they go round in circles making you more and more frustrated. I asked to speak to his supervisor after he kept trying to sell me my FICO score instead of answering my question to my satisfaction.

I truly believe he put one of his co-worker buddies on the line - so unprofessional! Never did get a resolution, told him I was unhappy and was going to file a complaint online about them. So glad,I found this site to review their awful service on! After that encounter, my credit score suddenly dropped 4-5 points for no reason! They purposely try to keep your score under the 700 mark to keep you from reaching 'good' level, saying they use a different 'formula' than the other credit reporting agencies use. They manipulate scores and lives. Well all I can say is TransUnion you suck!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

TransUnion is very shady. I googled how to get a credit score for a tenant online as I am a landlord and filled in my information to see how it worked and never seen the fee and was never asked to confirm the fee and they immediately charged me 19.95 and signed me up for a monthly fee. Tried to call my credit card company to cancel the MasterCard but they told me TransUnion would just get the new card so they directly hooked me up with TransUnion to complain. I was able to cancel my subscription but they still charged me the 19.95. They don't care that it is a shady website as they have too much power over your credit.

This is a legalized scam and they just say the information was there on the website but it is done in a sneaky shady way so you cannot dispute it. Just fall victim to it and they make you feel like you did wrong. Usually before any website takes your credit card they ask you to confirm the price and do you accept, nothing like that took place, just a shady on the side scam that looks like an ad and you assume it is not part of your free credit score check. Told them they were shady but they don't care, they just take your money. My credit card company can't even help as they are above the credit card companies, untouchable.

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg