1.05/5

731 TransUnion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

I thought that I was getting a free FICO and that they would hit my CC for $1. It's a monthly service. I did see my FICO, which I can access at Discover, PNC Bank, etc., for free. When I called, I got the run around and no refund of my $26.61(I cancelled the account within 5 minutes). Let me see if I can get my money's worth by complaining to their agents and managers.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had an offer for one dollar to check my credit. Without thinking I gave our credit card number, the consequences are such that TransUnion gets a 19.95 account each month without my request or approval, I believe legal fraud and lesson for other TransUnion is a next legitimate form of fraud.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 20, 2019

This is fraud! They never asked me that they will be charging me for this service and they had access to my credit cards and accounts. They were taking money out of my accounts for a couple of months now. I never check into my transactions on my statements so I never knew that they are doing this to me! This is crazy and a true fraud! Do not trust them!

Original review: March 11, 2019

So I've been arguing back and forth with TransUnion for about three years now regarding my identity and I'm confused, frustrated, and quite frankly annoyed at this point. I have provided the last 10 years worth of previous and current addresses, banking information, creditor information along with sending in letters front and back of my photo ID to remove the fraud alert I put onto my account years ago. All to obtain a copy of my consumer disclosure and oh my lord this has gotten out of hand. First of all... and this is a MAJOR issue here, when we call in and select option 1 for ENGLISH we expect (being a Canadian Citizen) to get someone who can speak ENGLISH. Had I wanted to speak to someone from India, I would have selected the option to speak with someone from India.

Secondly I called 1(800)508-2597 and chose option one for ENGLISH, then option one again to speak with someone and instead of solving my issue they told me to call 1(800)663-9980 and to no surprise was told to call the other number back again because "we cannot give you what you are asking for here.” Finally I just got totally rude and yelled my way through getting what I originally called for in the first place and look at that! They're sending me my FREE Consumer Disclosure copy to my current mailing address now and I will receive it within the next 3-5 Business Days. Thanks to "Daisy" Employee ID: **. For someone who didn't speak a lick of ENGLISH, at least she is able to send me what I’m asking for. But I mean guys... why did it take three freaking years for you to FINALLY figure it out and send me that? Not to just wait and see if I actually get it by Monday.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I currently have 2 pending charges from TransUnion for a FREE credit score that I requested. The website is not user friendly or CLEAR! about what I was being charged for and was full of ads wanting me to sign up for their membership program. When I called to inquire about these charges the guy was very dismissive and could care less and gave me some garbage excuse that there were two charges but only one would actually go through. If better only be one charge!!! I was somehow signed up for a membership without my knowledge of doing so. Well I have cancelled that but I'm still out almost 30 bucks. So pissed!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: March 8, 2019

One of my credit cards was compromised so I was advised to check in with TransUnion and Equifax. I sent Equifax the form along with two pieces of photocopied identification and heard from them within two weeks. TransUnion did not respond and after a month I phoned them to find out what was going on. First they told me to do it online, but how does that deal with verifying your identification? He put me on hold and when he came back asked questions. After he got some information from me he said the computer generated some questions for me to answer.

They seemed to be stores that I hadn't worked at so I wondered out loud why he couldn't access my file so he could send me a paper copy that I can correct. I had no intention of correcting over the phone. This conversation ended, but not well. I felt scammed since I gave them confidential information and they were asking irrelevant questions, as if they were fishing. After, I wondered who I had been talking to -- someone in Canada or someone in India. I saw a TV program about scams originating in India on Canadians. Now I'm even more worried.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Had a very nasty experience. I am a victim of credit card fraud/identity theft. Someone opened accounts with 5 different banking institutions and took out huge loans, all of which I was completely unaware. Went through going to the police, filing a report, providing the report number to all the institutions, letting them do their investigations and then rescinding the negative report from my credit score with Transunion and Equifax. Equifax wasn't really a problem. Transunion on the other hand is a nightmare to deal with. You call them and ask for a credit score, they tell you have to go online and register on their website. I used my credit card to sign up as there is a charge and it asks for my social insurance number. After getting past this it asks you some security questions. The problem is one of the questions asks which banking institution I have a loan with, and looking at the answers I never even heard of these banks before.

I call the support line and they tell me I have to get a credit report which takes a month and the 2 ways to do it is send in a fax or mail in writing to some place on Harvester Road. The problem is I already have a recent copy of this report. I'm spinning in circles with these idiots. Once my situation is sorted I hope to never have to deal with Transunion unless I absolutely have to. They can't even get their security/verification questions right, and since I already provided all my personal info including credit card #, SIN #, DOB, they tell me I need to fax or mailing for another credit history report which doesn't contain my credit score. Transunion = VERY FRUSTRATING PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My credit card payment history was perfect. Still my credit card application was denied, and I wanted to know about my free credit report. They are very SNEAKY AND SECRETIVE. I signed up for an account on TransUnion's website primarily for the purpose of disputing some inaccurate information on my credit report. After doing this, I browsed around the credit monitoring section of the site, where they give some limited information for free. Somewhere in the sign-up page there must have been a secret box somewhere on the screen I didn't see that said "I want to be charged $20 a month for no reason" that I needed to untick because I was charged $20 per month without realising it.

The system opened two accounts on (me) the same person and charged $20.00 without even recognizing that this is the same person. A representative said that a client could start as many accounts as they wanted. Is the number of accounts going to change the credit history? They don’t even have the common sense. The company is very sneaky and secretive. They do not have any customer service etiquette.

My login for TransUnion didn't work so I created a new account, there was a field to enter credit card info (red flag) and I thought that would be in the case that I wanted to purchase something in the future. Immediately got an email in my inbox about my "order details" and showed a credit card charge of $19.95. This was not my intent when I created my account, and they did not make it clear that you were purchasing something upon account creation. The company is very dishonest and unreliable. They do not even have any accountability either.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Non-sense/false records on my history and very slow dispute process. I had a false record in my history and took them two weeks to call the court and another week to remove it. It seems like they were trying to stretch it out and maybe if they were not forced by the law to complete the process within 30...they would have took months to do a simple process.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I signed up for an account on TransUnion's website primarily for the purpose of disputing some inaccurate information on my credit report. After doing this, I browsed around the credit monitoring section of the site, where they give some limited information for free and urge you to pay a monthly subscription for their enhanced credit monitoring. I decided this was not a product I wanted, and so left the site and decided to check back later for an updated status on my dispute.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I notice a charge from TransUnion on my credit card statement. Unbeknownst to me and without my permission, TransUnion has signed me up for their credit monitoring service and charged my card. This is incredibly dishonest behavior, and even if their service had some value to me I would first go to a competitor in a heartbeat.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I needed a credit report in order to rent my place, so I signed up with Transunion for a free credit report. Somewhere in the sign up page there must have been a secret box somewhere on the screen I didn't see that said "I want to be charged $20 a month for no reason" that I needed to untick because I was charged $20 per month without realising it for 6 months. I imagine they hired a web designer who put "good at tricking people" on his resume to make their sign up page. Needless to say I decided to close my account with them, but there was no way to do it online. I'm serious, search "close TransUnion account" and you'll find an arms race of video tutorials on closing your account and more and more arcane account closing procedures to counter the videos.

Basically every year since 2013 they've redesigned their UI by removing the 'close account' option and hiding it under some new and irrelevant tab. It looks like they removed it entirely after their widely publicised data breach. You have to call them during their business hours, wait a half hour on hold, and then go through the lengthy and intrusive process of closing your account while they try to datamine you even further. This company's business model seems to be to trick you into signing up for their valueless credit monitoring, and then silently charge you for their non-service. It's essentially a criminal organisation. There's not much difference between this company and just straight credit card fraud.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Horrible & inaccurate. All calls go to Middle East! Not giving my Soc Number to anyone outside of the USA. TransUnion is always 100 points lower than the other reporting agencies. Should be shut down.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

TransUnion credit reporting is neither factual or fair to the customer they are reporting on themselves... I have disputed an item that is not mine that was put in collections by AR Resources in 2017. They have no information (evidence) stating it's my bill or my signature but they are tell TransUnion because my address and social security number match it is mine and is accurate. However, TransUnion will NOT take down and will not go after "said" proof from the creditor, whom they work with daily, take for face value.

After 8 months disputing this file, I spoke with a Special handling Department supervisor, Omayra, in Chester, PA and found out it's on the consumer UNLESS you wish to purchase their credit monitoring service for $24.99 per month! Another scam corporation at the forefront of our society! They choose to give "corporate speak" having the consumer do their work, yet post inaccuracies on their reporting site without any harm to them whatsoever!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I went through annualcreditreport.com and chose TransUnion from a list of 3 options to obtain my report, which should be free if you get it once a year. It might *technically* be "free" because it's included as part of a credit monitoring service membership, but that membership costs $24.95 a month. This was NOT clear. When they ask for your credit card information, they even explicitly say that it's for identity confirmation purposes. This is even stated on their FAQ page (link below). Nothing about registering for a membership. Even after I gave my card information, I didn't receive any purchase confirmation page or email. There was absolutely no indication that I bought something.

Thankfully I caught it on my bank statement only after being charged for one month. I called and requested a refund, explaining that I was told my credit card was to only be used for identity confirmation, nothing else. I was offered a one month refund, which fortunately is all that I was charged. If I had caught this several months down the line, I don't know that they would've refunded all of the months or just one. Hopefully this refund goes through without issue; I only just got off the phone with them. We'll see. Very sneaky and disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Was trying to freeze my credit file online when I apparently answered one of the verification questions wrong. Well the only way it could have been wrong is if they have it wrong. Went through the same process with the phone number they gave me to talk with a live person with the same results. Now I can't get online access to my account at all. These people are the worse.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I tried logging on to all credit reporting agencies to see if my credit was still frozen after identity theft 8 months ago. My login for TransUnion didn't work so I created a new account, there was a field to enter credit card info (red flag) and I thought that would be in the case that I wanted to purchase something in the future. Immediately got an email in my inbox about my "order details" and showed a credit card charge of $19.95. This was not my intent when I created my account, and they did not make it clear that you were purchasing something upon account creation. SO SKETCHY and DECEPTIVE!

I called immediately to say the "order" was an error and asked for a refund/cancellation of erroneous membership. The person on the phone said they could only cancel but couldn't refund since they already generated a credit report for me. After going back and forth with him a few times, in disbelief at his unwillingness to refund, (knowing that any decent company would understand an error and refund), I finally asked if there was someone else I could speak to. Then the tone changed and he said I would get a refund in x amount of business days. I will be watching my account to make sure I get refunded. I do not trust them and will never log on again! BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Same with everyone, I thought I registered for free credit report but I was surprised to see hidden costs like 29$. Just requesting refund now. My purpose for having credit card is to save money. It feels really bad.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I got to TransUnion via a website for annual free credit report. I answered various questions to confirm identity, and then it asked for a credit card. It did NOT present it as being for a charge, it seemed like part of the verification process (just as others have said). I just happened to check my credit card later in the day (unrelated) and was shocked to see a charge for $24.95! I was really confused because I initially didn't even remember giving my credit card information, until I read another review and was reminded of entering it as part of what I thought was the verification process. SUPER SHADY.

Unfortunately, I think most people are scammed before coming to read reviews, because we're led to think it's part of the free annual credit report. Serious shame that a company that's supposed to help you PREVENT FRAUD is totally scamming people. I was able to go on and cancel my MONTHLY subscription that I was automatically signed up for. The charge hasn't even officially posted to my credit card yet, but I put an alert on it, and the minute it does, I will dispute it.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I signed up for a free credit report. Gave all my personal information. They provided everything up to the very last bit of actual information needed to complete my free credit report. I'm committed this far and already put so much information, might as well. I create an account, fill in the information, provide an email address, the usual. It then asks for my credit card. No notice of any charges. No confirmation, checkout, or other information. I figure this is for confirming my account information on registration or expediting credit reports.

I was wrong. They charged $25 to my credit card. No warning. No confirmation. Just like that, charged it immediately. I'm disputing this charge immediately with my bank. I don't trust them at all. If they're this sneaky with the registration, who knows what kind of scummy activity they do with all the personal information I provided them. I am very, very upset at this credit agency. The "free" credit report is free up until the part it gives relevant information, and then it forces you to sign up for their website and stealth-charges your credit card without any notice. Horrible people.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Signed up for a free annual credit report and ended up being charged without my knowing $19.95 per month. Was billed twice before I realized it! HOW IS THIS LEGAL? I am disputing the charges with my bank now but this is such an unnecessary hassle. I received NO EMAILS or CONFIRMATIONS about being charged $19.95 per month. THIS COMPANY IS SKETCHY. Literally scum of the Earth. I am always super careful about what I click on and sign up for and they literally added me to something I did not opt in for.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I went on the TransUnion website to find out what my credit score was. On the homepage there was no indication that you had to pay to see your credit score except for very very small print that stated you had to pay $24.95 plus tax. I did not see that since the print was so small. So I thought it was free and continued to create an account. On the create an account page there still was no obvious indication of having to pay except for small print on the side of the screen that, to me, looked like an ad.

They ended up asking for my credit card but I assumed they were doing so to calculate my credit score. I was able to check my credit score but later that night when I checked my email I noticed they sent me information about my order. I was so confused! I don't remember ordering anything. I assumed it was free! In the email it showed they charged my credit card $26.45. I was furious. So the next morning I canceled my "membership" that I apparently signed up for. Hopefully they won't keep charging my credit card. $26 may not seem like a lot but if they do this to everyone they'll be making loads of money off of innocent people.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

They sleaze you into having to sign up for 7-day trial, apparently. I don't remember doing that -- that's how subvert it is. Then, there are "0" follow-up emails that tell you that you are a paying, subscribed member. They do send some very basic credit update information, but nothing that could not have been gotten for free. Then, months down the road, you're going over your bank account, and you find out this sleaze has been pulling $19.95/mo out of your account.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My mortgage company recently sold my mortgage to another lender. My credit score was consistently in the mid-700s with 100% on-time payments and all accounts current. When I checked my credit score after the mortgage was transferred, it had dropped by over 50 points and my mortgage account had been marked as Closed. (A Google search indicated that people's scores had dropped 100 points or more when their mortgages were sold or transferred.) I contacted TransUnion and they indicated that this was procedural and that my score would go up after the new company reported on-time payments. What if a credit holder applies for credit and is denied because of this practice? I would like to know why a company can drop a score when a change is made through no fault of the credit holder and have filed a formal complaint against TransUnion with the New York State Attorney General's office.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I notice a $19.95 charge on my bank statement. Knowing I had not signed up for anything, called my bank, said it was a fraudulent charge. They made me change my card & thought it was the end of that. But then a month later, to my shock...there was ANOTHER charge of $19.95. So, I called TransUnion, spoke to someone. He said there was nothing he could do... I said, "How is it you got my new info..." He said I gave it to them. The scary thing is...I never gave them any info to begin with. I had told him that & then I threaten that I will call my lawyer, the Better Business Bureau, the FBI, & the my bank. He then changed his tune, canceled my supposed subscription & said I should see the refund within 2 - 5 business days. I told him I had better see that refund, or there will be hell to pay!!! I immediately got a email saying my subscription has ended. NOW will keep a sharp eye out for that refund!! Trickery & deceitful. That is what TransUnion is ALL about!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Through annualcreditreport.com I requested my three credit reports. This is free once a year. This time I thought I would like to get my TransUnion credit score as well. Inadvertently unknowingly I was signed up for credit monitoring. It was $16.95 monthly. Unfortunately I didn't discover the monthly charges coming out until 5 months down the road. I called. Explained the situation. Requested a refund. They refused. After some insistence they said it was against their policy but they would give me one month refund. I suggested that they split it with me... It was five months I paid for, could they give me 2. They couldn't. Upon further questioning she informed me that I had earned another credit report update.

Since I realized I had paid roughly $85 and I was only being offered one month refunded and I had a product which I had earned online through my monthly payments then I would go online get the updated report and then cancel. Then I was informed that it was too late as it was already canceled. I feel like since I was misled into the credit monitoring I should have received a full refund. Since they were only offering a month refund I feel like I should have gotten something for what I did pay. I should have been informed that I had earned items of value that were waiting online for me to retrieve before she canceled the account. I asked for a supervisor who I actually thought would provide more assistance. Sonia however was less help, talked over me and frequently interrupted. I eventually just hung up a dissatisfied and ripped off customer.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was on my app, Credit Karma on December 28th. Today, Jan 5th, I notice a $19.95 charge on my bank statement. Knowing I had not signed up for anything, I called TransUnion, spoke to Sebastian. I explained that I must have inadvertently touched a wrong key while on CK, I requested a refund. He went on with a sales pitch and refused to refund my $. Apparently whatever key I touched, in error, signed me up for credit monitoring. They charge you one dollar & if you don’t cancel within 7 days, they sign you up. I was two days beyond this period when I noticed the charge on my bank statement. TWO DAYS beyond their “trial period”. What a joke! I will take this up with Credit Karma as well.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

There is NO shopping card saying that you saying that your service is actually $19.95 a month. All I thought I was clicking somewhere to file a dispute on my credit report and somehow I agreed to a monthly service of $19.95/month. Any company that uses trickery to scam money from its customers should be reported to the FEDS.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

"SmartMove will disclose the contents of a criminal and/or credit report retained by SmartMove to an individual who requests a copy of their report. To verify your identity and obtain a copy of your report(s) or dispute any information within that report, please contact customer service at 866-775-0961." This is what it says on their website. When I call they have me verify name, DOB, address, safety passcodes, spouse’s information and tell me that was their security process to tell me further instructions. That I have to write an email including personal information, copy of gov't ID, and that they will send back the copy in 1 to 30 days.

Meanwhile a very bossy person is speaking to me over the phone with an accent I have trouble understanding and loud laughing noises going on in the background. The whole time I am wondering how much of my personal information does this casual call center have access to? Also the website does not generate a receipt for the $40 application fee. You have to email them every single time to receive a receipt.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

They give me a credit score of 655. Experian is 719. Equifax is 736. TransUnion is ripping people off on their credit scores. They need to be investigated for it. Have no clue why there is such a large difference in credit scoring.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

If you go to the TransUnion website, there is an offer to check your credit score. When you check it, you are "agreeing" to a monitoring service costing you $19.95 every month. They are not giving you a credit score, they are signing you up for their service. It's in tiny print at the bottom of the page that you are enrolling: the large colorful print that you actually read says you are requesting a credit score. Credit scores are free - this is a scam. We've spent all morning trying to no avail to get this refunded.

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg