2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

TransUnion is one of the three national credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and Experian. Lenders, landlords, employers and other companies may pull credit reports from one or more of these bureaus. You can request a free copy of your TransUnion credit report once per year, or you can purchase credit monitoring for daily updates on your score and credit activity. This company also provides educational resources, consumer assistance services and other helpful tools for people looking to take control of their credit.

BOTTOM LINE

TransUnion is a credit agency that provides credit scores and reports to consumers. It also offers credit monitoring services, identity theft protection and credit offers from third-party lenders.

PROS

• Credit monitoring services
  • Credit offers
  • Free annual credit score

CONS

• May differ from other bureaus
  • Monthly cost for monitoring

What is a TransUnion credit score?

TransUnion maintains a database of consumer information and assigns people credit scores based on those details. Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), you can request your credit report for free on Transunion’s website once per year. If you prefer real-time updates, you can sign up for its credit monitoring services that provide daily credit score updates, credit recommendations and online credit locks.

In addition to monitoring services, TransUnion offers free identity theft protection, financial calculators and credit offers. Its consumer assistance team can help with credit needs like disputed items, credit freezes, fraud alerts and assistance for active-duty military personnel. Consumers can also browse TransUnion’s credit education section to learn more about topics like debt, credit bureaus, mortgages and more.

TransUnion cost

TransUnion’s credit monitoring services cost $24.95 per month and include daily credit updates, recommendations, credit locks, monthly tips and more. All consumers are entitled to one free credit report per year, and you can request this report online.

Transunion also provides free disputes on inquiries, credit score drops, personal information and incorrect accounts. It offers free identity theft protection through TrueIdentity and does not require a credit card to sign up. For pricing on TransUnion business services, contact one of its client support specialists.

TransUnion FAQ

What is a good TransUnion credit score?
    A good TransUnion score ranges from 700 to 850. However, you can still qualify for lending opportunities and pass other credit checks with a score lower than 700.
    What is your TransUnion credit score used for?
    TransUnion credit scores are used to confirm your creditworthiness when you’re borrowing money, interviewing for certain jobs or applying for rental properties. You can request a copy of your credit report to see what creditors and others see when they check your credit.
    What does TransUnion do?
    TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus that compile data to create a credit score for each consumer. It lets you see your credit report for free once per year or with a subscription to its credit monitoring service.
    What banks use TransUnion?
    Many banks and lenders check all three credit bureaus, but this will vary from bank to bank. To confirm which agency your bank uses, check its website.
    What lenders use TransUnion?
    Most lenders check all three credit bureaus, but some have their own proprietary system for evaluating consumer credit. Check with your lender for more information on which agencies it uses.

Is TransUnion legit?

TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus, and it has a strong reputation for providing reliable, consistent credit scores. It offers credit monitoring services, fraud alerts, identity theft protection and other useful services to help consumers maximize their credit. By working on their TransUnion score, people can improve their credit standing with lenders, employers, landlords and more.

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I have had a very low credit score with them for a long time and could not figure out why! After finally giving up and paying for the membership fee just to review my report, I find that one of my accounts is labelled as a bankruptcy account. I have never filed bankruptcy so I know that is inaccurate. The bank also verified such! I called personally, submitted a dispute & months later receive the results saying the information is correct. Go figure, the information is correct because they disputed the wrong account! The website dispute center will not work & they seem to be closed on weekend. Extremely hard to contact them, let alone get my credit file corrected. Thankfully, most places that check my credit are understanding of that being the only low score due to THEIR mistakes! I am very fed up with them! Too bad we can't choose our credit companies!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I have made tremendous efforts to improve and maintain good credit (paid off house, paid off cars, paid off loans, 100% pay-on-time record, excellent debt to income ratio, keep my credit card accounts 40% or lower in utilization, sometime (15-30%))...all this and my credit score with TransUnion never moves. Experian and Equifax scores fluctuate based on my monthly activities and improves accordingly, never with Transunion, it's stagnant or either they will decrease it without any basis. Transunion shouldn't be allowed to ruin people's lives due to a lack of work/monitoring/scoring consistently and in alignment with credit activities. They should be shut down, credit is vital and could literally make or break someone.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Called about a false late payment on my report and was told there’s nothing they can do! I had payment arrangements with company to pay my bill and made payments on time every time and they won’t even look into it or let me file a dispute.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

I have to have my password reset every time I log onto any of my TransUnion accounts. It getting upset me. I save my passwords so I know what they are but once I change it and log in I can log in again 30 minutes later and it says invalid login. I don’t know if this is person because I filed a report against transunion for being biased and unfair but since then I’ve been having problems. They will kick out my disputes even when I send over my proof. If transunion don’t stop harassing me I will take this to a higher level. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I have several accounts in American banks, and TransUnion indicates that there is no account and due to the fact that they do not know the accounts, they generate an underestimated credit score. In addition, they offer to pay them in order to artificially raise the credit score. I opened a dispute and indicated in which banks my accounts are, but they do not respond. Any other credit monitoring company is better than TransUnion. Other credit monitoring companies give me the correct credit score in parallel. TransUnion is not a serious and unscrupulous company.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I absolutely hate TransUnion customer service. I'm not sure where it's based out of and I don't want to be culturally bias, but I'd love to be able to speak to an American, it's hard as hell to convey a message when the person on the other end has no idea what you're trying to say.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I’m looking to purchase a condo in the near future and I have been monitoring my credit just like I Monitor my health. On Saturday July 18, 2020, I checked all of my scores on each site. Two had gone up tremendously as I expected because I paid one credit card off and paid the other down. Instead of TransUnion elevating my score they lowered it and their reasoning is my credit cards decreased. I called TransUnion and spoke with not one but three idiots that kept telling me it's their system that does the reporting and there is nothing that can be done. You can’t even dispute it because there is nothing to dispute. I’m so frustrated right now. These were very poor excuses and this scoring has set me back.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I've been doing business with TransUnion Credit Monitoring Service for years now even when I lived in another state. I was very excited to have an opportunity to lock my credit report. I was even more excited to lock it with more than one credit bureau. However a couple years ago it got entirely too hard to refresh my credit score. They advertise that it's updated every 24 hours so what I understand is I can refresh every day, every week or even every month if I wanted to by clicking refresh score. Nothing happens! I use to call customer service but they are not help! You're asked to clear your browser history, cookies, password etc... It still won't refresh! I waste so much time trying and today over an hour! I lock, unlock, clear browser, logout, login, shut down, restart over and over again and nothing happens! I'm sooo tired of this.

Original review: June 30, 2020

TransUnion Credit has absolutely no idea of a person's current financial position. I recently applied for a loan to purchase a pair of hearing aids and was turned down because of some discrepancies in my information and TransUnion's information. Upon checking my profile on Transunion's website I noticed a number of discrepancies. I did not bother to correct them, I was so disgusted with Transunion inadequate and poor knowledge of my financial position. I have opted to not do business with companies using their services and inquiring about the agencies used when needing credit. With the inaccuracies found in my report and profile I am in total awe of how TransUnion became a trusted source of consumer information.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I was tricked into paying for a credit report by TransUnion call center rep. After suffering a credit score decline of 250 points due to being laid off last year, I worked diligently on securing gainful employment, keeping my active accounts current and establishing payment plans with my 2 accounts that became charge offs. Over the next 10 months my credit score SLOWLY increased up to an average (all 3 credit bureaus) of 616. Nothing new was added to my credit history other than balances DECREASING.

All of the sudden, TransUnion dropped my credit score 45 points on 6/13/20. **Be advised, this was ALL the points I earned by paying double the minimum payment for 10 months. After speaking to 3 different TransUnion reps, I was told Credit Karma was giving me inaccurate details and instructed to purchase a TransUnion Credit Report. I paid $27 and called back only to be told I should continue working on paying my debts to see a credit score increase. I am such a fool for letting TransUnion bully me when I was so emotionally vulnerable and hurt by losing the progress I was so proud of. Moving forward, I pray this company will be exposed for the joke they are.

TransUnion Company Information