2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

TransUnion is one of the three national credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and Experian. Lenders, landlords, employers and other companies may pull credit reports from one or more of these bureaus. You can request a free copy of your TransUnion credit report once per year, or you can purchase credit monitoring for daily updates on your score and credit activity. This company also provides educational resources, consumer assistance services and other helpful tools for people looking to take control of their credit.

BOTTOM LINE

TransUnion is a credit agency that provides credit scores and reports to consumers. It also offers credit monitoring services, identity theft protection and credit offers from third-party lenders.

PROS

• Credit monitoring services
  • Credit offers
  • Free annual credit score

CONS

• May differ from other bureaus
  • Monthly cost for monitoring

What is a TransUnion credit score?

TransUnion maintains a database of consumer information and assigns people credit scores based on those details. Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), you can request your credit report for free on Transunion’s website once per year. If you prefer real-time updates, you can sign up for its credit monitoring services that provide daily credit score updates, credit recommendations and online credit locks.

In addition to monitoring services, TransUnion offers free identity theft protection, financial calculators and credit offers. Its consumer assistance team can help with credit needs like disputed items, credit freezes, fraud alerts and assistance for active-duty military personnel. Consumers can also browse TransUnion’s credit education section to learn more about topics like debt, credit bureaus, mortgages and more.

Cost of TransUnion credit report

TransUnion’s credit monitoring services cost $24.95 per month and include daily credit updates, recommendations, credit locks, monthly tips and more. All consumers are entitled to one free credit report per year, and you can request this report online.

Transunion also provides free disputes on inquiries, credit score drops, personal information and incorrect accounts. It offers free identity theft protection through TrueIdentity and does not require a credit card to sign up. For pricing on TransUnion business services, contact one of its client support specialists.

TransUnion FAQ

What is a good TransUnion credit score?
    A good TransUnion score ranges from 700 to 850. However, you can still qualify for lending opportunities and pass other credit checks with a score lower than 700.
    What is your TransUnion credit score used for?
    TransUnion credit scores are used to confirm your creditworthiness when you’re borrowing money, interviewing for certain jobs or applying for rental properties. You can request a copy of your credit report to see what creditors and others see when they check your credit.
    What does TransUnion do?
    TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus that compile data to create a credit score for each consumer. It lets you see your credit report for free once per year or with a subscription to its credit monitoring service.
    What banks use TransUnion?
    Many banks and lenders check all three credit bureaus, but this will vary from bank to bank. To confirm which agency your bank uses, check its website.
    What lenders use TransUnion?
    Most lenders check all three credit bureaus, but some have their own proprietary system for evaluating consumer credit. Check with your lender for more information on which agencies it uses.

Is TransUnion legit?

TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus, and it has a strong reputation for providing reliable, consistent credit scores. It offers credit monitoring services, fraud alerts, identity theft protection and other useful services to help consumers maximize their credit. By working on their TransUnion score, people can improve their credit standing with lenders, employers, landlords and more.

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Transunion is a pain to deal with. Here is the pains list by theme:

Context:

Someone declines to approve a credit card for you. So, you have no choice to pay for one of the 2 companies that do this kind of service. One is Transunion.

Contract

You give Transunion your credit card to pay $ 19,95 + taxes to be able to check your credit, but it is not disclosed with enough visibility that, to have you credit checked only once, you have to call them back and wait in a IVR with very confusing options to get them to cancel the monthly charge.

Customer service

Even paying more than 20 dollars a month, which is quite high for this service, you cannot access your credit score: you see an error in the screen. You call their very confusing IVR system at (800) 508-2597, and a sleepy agent makes sure you are you, which is good, but has not the slightest idea how to help you, and tells you to clear your browser, which you did before calling, so she tells you that you cannot see your credit because you have a dispute. You don't. She insists you do and gives you a number to call: 18006639980. You thank her and call that number. That number is not in use anymore, so you have to call (800) 508-2597 again. You do, and after waiting in the line because "we are experiencing a unusual high volume of calls" (really? Every day?) guess what: the same agent answers again. She now gives you 18775253823, and you call this other number with the patience you don't have anymore.

Another agent tells you that you cannot access your credit score because you have too many files opened by people checking it, which cannot be accurate, since you receive an email every month from them saying:

•No new inquiries posted to your report
    •No new accounts opened in your name
    •No address changes

•No public records or any potentially negative items

So, although you insist, the person repeats the same information with the same words for each question you have, just because they probably have no access to more info. They also inform that they will merge all the files in 3 to 8 business days and then you have to call back for an update. After that you will be able to check your credit score again (?!?!). They give you the same number that is not in service to call back 18006639980, which is probably the one they have. This is all really disrespectful and unsettling, because you start wondering how this company is dealing with such sensitive information of yours.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I had my score at 652 after paying off many of my credit credit cards, within one week, my score was at 606, after checking it shows no reasons, called customer service, they don't have a proper explanation, the lady told me that one of the reasons is because I am paying off my cards??? Really, reason two is that I have a hard inquiry but hadn't not opened up any bank account or credit card for some time, paid off my cards, no closed accounts, maybe they deliberately lower credit scores for their own benefits! My score looks so bad with my banks for no reasons and I was told they can't fix it, yet they don't know how it happened, Equifax is far better than the so called Transunion! Horrible, horrible, just lowering scores for no reason, I wish I could sue them.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

My experience with Transunion was terrible. Was purchasing a new home, not sure how I signed up for some type of monthly service but I did, unfortunately didn't check monthly credit card bill and was charged monthly fee for months without knowing. Tried to call and cancel and every time I went through 800 # and tried to cancel it hung up on me. Finally figured it out through website. Bottom line watch what you click on in website when you viewing your credit scores, reports.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Out of the blue 2 months ago, my credit rating went from a decent 730 to 670. Only TransUnion was reporting a change. I go to their website and see that some energy company is mistakenly charging me $88. I file a fraud claim, but to do so, I am told I need to spend a ONE TIME charge of $24.99 to get access to credit monitoring services. Nowhere, and I mean nowhere, is it made clear that this will be a MONTHLY subscription.

I am in the middle of a pandemic, unemployed and I lost $50 now because TransUnion felt like skimming my pockets before I could remove fraudulent information on my account (the charge was removed after they did so). Words can not express how enraged I am, 2020 has been exceptionally hard and for me to get an absolutely nonsensical $50 by this scam of a company is beyond insulting. I will go out of my way to never give them another cent as long as I live.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I subscribed to the Trans-union website for over 2 years. They listed my score as 847 (excellent). I would check my score and file usually every 2 weeks and for over 2 years my score was the same 847, even after refreshing it. A few months ago my bank provided a free trans-union credit score and file for their customers to view. My score at the bank trans-union which is apparently directly from Trans-union is 721, well that baffled me and I more or less accused the bank of doing something to that score as it did not reflect the score on the actual trans-union website. The bank assured me they do not manage the trans-union score and it is directly from trans-union.

I sent in a dispute to Trans-union about my score on their website and the different score at the bank,, The first letter they completely misinterpreted what I was saying, so I sent another and tried explaining it again, Next time I logged into the Trans-union website my score had magically changed to 721 same as the bank one. Long story short, I paid $20 a month for 2 years to view an incorrect credit score of 847.

I immediately cancelled my subscription to Trans-union and subscribed to Equifax, which seems a lot better and for the same money I paid trans-union at Equafax they scan the internet to see if your SIN, C. C or bank account is used anywhere, and the credit score was more believable than that almost perfect score at trans-union that was an incorrect credit score. Needless to say I would never recommend trans union, not after they showed me an incorrect credit score for over 2 years.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

TransUnion refuses to remove an unauthorized hard inquiry on my credit report. I was a victim of identity theft in Jan 2020, and Wells Fargo contacted all of the credit bureaus to remove the account and change the inquiry from "hard" to "soft". Every credit bureau EXCEPT Transunion has already fixed the issue. There is no reason Transunion cannot complete a simple request in almost a year's time.

I called Transunion today (12/9/2020 @ 7:35 AM PST) and spoke to three reps on the phone (1-800-813-5604) who kept saying the next person would remove my inquiry. However, the last female "supervisor" at 7:50 AM refused to remove it and told me good luck... I wish I had written down her name to file a complaint with Transunion because she was really rude, unhelpful, and unknowledgeable about the whole process of removing an unauthorized inquiry. Note: I have also filed a complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) ** to make sure the government is aware of Transunion's fraudulent consumer practices.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

This company (top credit reporting bureau) charged me 24.95 as mentioned on here by other users without notifying me that I'm sighing up for a subscription. They charge 24.95 for your credit score every month which you can find on free websites or your bank account. I was only trying to file a dispute and their website made it seem like it's part of the process, asked for my CC for identity validation. I couldn't cancel the substation either, it would log me out each time I'd try. I called my bank and they reversed the fee. They are blatantly scamming people.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

Over the last 15 months I paid almost 50% of the balance of my cards each month and it was satisfying that my credit scores went up with Experian and Equifax taking me from a Good rating to Very Good. I was however perturbed that my score with Transunion stayed the same throughout the entire period. In September I cleared the balance of the cards in full and did not use them in October. I was really perturbed to see my report today that Transunion has dropped my score by 50 points for no apparent reason. When I asked them why they said creditors expect to see consumers using at least 1 - 25% of their available credit. I asked them to confirm specifically if my score would go down if I used less than 1% or more than 25% of my available credit on any card and they said yes.

I spoke to my main creditor and they said this is nonsense - they said they only flag a warning if a consumer persistently uses 75% or more of their available credit whilst making only the minimum payment for X number of months, or goes over the limit or racks up charges. They said as long as a consumer is meeting the contractual payment and running their account well they would never be penalised for using more than 25% of available credit or for having a zero balance for a month.

So under Transunion scoring system I am penalised if I use more than 25% of credit on a single card, and also penalised if my balances are less than 1% for more than a few weeks - that is hardly a fair or just system as it is requiring consumers to keep balances on their credit cards (and be charged the interest accordingly) just to keep within Transunion's ridiculous rules. Consumers should never be penalised for paying off their debts/balances which Transunion has admitted their system is doing.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I put in my information to get a credit report, assuming this site was like Equifax or the other bureaus, next thing you know, I'm getting charged $26. Off to the side, in tiny print, it shows you're signing up for a subscription. I called and the rep said he would cancel the account and refund me. I already contacted my credit card company and told them to cancel the transaction, I got a new credit card number, I reported them to the PA attorney general and the FTC. They need to stop trying to scam people. Disgusting behavior. If you accidentally sign up for their services, and they refuse to give you a refund, go on the BBB website and write a complaint to your state's attorney general. They should return your money.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

TransUnion, Careful of these thieves! If you think you are only creating an account ... YOU ARE NOT!!! You are also signing up for Credit Monitoring $21.95. That they will not remove, only cancel the auto renewals. Even if you signed up 10 min earlier. They want to steal your money!!

TransUnion Company Information