Need a credit report site?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.97/5

TransUnion Reviews

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I was on with an agent because all I wanted to do was get a single report and score form TransUnion without a continuing membership. They assured me that this is possible, however at the beginning of the call, I told her I doubt that it is because I spent a great deal of time trying to do so. And lo and behold after us spending almost an hour on the phone, there was no way to pay for just one report and score. TU is just horrible, but they are not by themselves, the entire industry just sucks. TU wants you to sign up for this re-occurring payment plan, however I have read hundreds of nightmare stories of consumers being charged erroneously, or for too long, and some get suckered into signing up unknowingly. And each one of these agencies tell you when you pull your score from any other agency than theirs it will not be accurate, but all 3 of them will give you scores from the other based on their algorithms, and that is hogwash.

If you are going to sell me a score from another agency, then it should be the RIGHT score. And they should make it easy for individuals to purchase their score and report without having to sign some long term digital contract that needs cancellation in order to stop the billing cycle. And in fact, why the hell are they charging me for my information, and collecting money from businesses that are using my personal information for credit worthiness. Why are consumers being charged? That's BS. You are making money from the businesses, and you are charging me for something that belongs to me! My credit history! That is not theirs! They just collect the data and come up with algorithms to sale to businesses. Isn't that enough money? Geez....

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I was also set up in the subscription amount unintentionally when I signed up. I got an two alert on my bank after browsing through their website after signing up, a recurring charge of $24.95 and a one time fee of $29.99. I was somehow clicking around and agreed to purchase something for $29.99 so when I reviewed their sign up page, there it was the $24.95 monthly free plus taxes where applicable. The $29.99, I had no idea so I decided to call the next day.

Granted I was really droopy at 1 am when this happened and would have normally caught these things otherwise. The number was there but it was obviously designed in a way for customers to overlook it which is extremely deceptive. You can look it up, it's called Black Patterns UX (User Experience). If their intention is not to deceive their potential customers then they really need to get a new UX Designer since I'm sure all these complaints are costing them lots of money, especially those doing bank disputes. Anyway, I was livid at myself and at the company for using such tactics since they are a Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies, a legitimate business with access to millions of personal private information. Using such tactics is beneath them and very unbecoming to say the least.

I called the next day and the first lady helped me cancel the subscription and gave me a refund but couldn't help with the $29.99 charge, so I talked to the second lady, who was her supervisor, who helped me refund the $29.99 as well. Both to be refunded in 3-5 business days so hoping that goes through. The charges are still pending in my bank so hopefully it would be faster.

I just noted that I wanted to check out the website just to find out I was being charged for services I did not need nor want at this time. I talked to them calmly and respectfully since I am sure they get this ALL the time, at no fault of their own. Both were extremely helpful and that's customer service done right! Overall, I would still consider them if ever I need something more thorough in my Credit Reports. But ONLY thanks to their customer service for saving a BAD strategic decision into making a potential customer into victims, and affecting the image of their brand using tactics associated with deceit and scams.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

TransUnion should not be in business anymore. They have no idea what they are doing and they do not care enough to do the proper research when you file a dispute. We sold a car in June 2019 and the loan was confirmed paid off late that month. BUT it is still on our credit reports. This is a joke. We have filed four disputes and they still have not fixed the problem. Equifax cleared it off our report in late July. Why is a company that clearly does a horrible job for consumers still allowed to stay in business.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

As above reviews stated we thought we were going to get a free credit freeze. Yes they wanted a credit card, thought it was strange, but usually before your card is charged on sites they show what you are purchasing-they did not. When I discovered that I had signed up for $24.95 a month, I followed other steps to cancel-in less than an hour. However as they bill you a month in advance, I am stuck with a bill of $24.95.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

While going between the 3 credit bureaus I go to Transunion's site to check my status with them. Upon doing so I realized I had no online account with them. I went through the motions to sign up for online access and accidentally enrolled for credit monitoring and was charged $24.95. Granted, I did input my card information but I solely thought it would be for verification purposes especially since I'm signing up for an online account with a credit bureau. I have online accounts with both Equifax and Experian and had not been charged for either of them so I did not encounter this issue.

Of course, I immediately canceled my subscription but it was too late by then - I had been charged for the first month subscription. I did not speak with their customer support because I feel partly to blame. I do however feel like they could've been more clear. Specifically, the final page where you input your card details. Had it mentioned on that page that I was agreeing to be charged for $24.95 I would have stopped right there. I hope my stupid mistake helps someone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I received an email from TU. The email talked about importance of credit monitoring and credit freeze. On credit freeze it noted free. I signed up and went thru the entire sign up process, nowhere did it mention I would be charged for anything. Lo and behold a few days later there is a pending transaction for TU for 24.95. It is now Saturday and I can't call to speak with anyone. I go back to the email and I do not see any info on being billed for services either in big letters or small print.

I click on terms of service which by now everyone knows the majority of people do not read, but all I read is small print on charges but no mention of how much, I read about some free try out periods, I read some of how they can collect information on you and your accounts, including banks. When I was signing up for the services I never clicked on any box that authorized them to charge me or even saw a page requesting me to fill in bank account information or expiration dates or anything so I do not know how they even got hold of my bank information. You expect to be scammed by con artists not credit companies, I guess I learned a big lesson today and it cost me 24.95.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I have been calling TransUnion many times, and they are not able to update an account that has been paid off. This is causing me to lose an opportunity for an apartment complex that I applied to. I called Equifax and they updated my account immediately. Now they want me to send a letter that I received from the creditor by mail, which will probably take like 30 days by the time they verify and answer me. Plus the only people that work there some don't speak English clearly. This is very frustrating. The Better Business Bureau should look into this as this affects us as consumers. And a consumer I have the right to be treated with respect and respect my time also.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Do not pay for membership as you will not be able to log in online. There is a 95% chance that you will get an error massage and be prompted to call a toll free number, which is never answered. If you make your request in writing you will rarely get the information requested. This is a company that is marked by incompetence and incorrect information.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I thought I was signing up for a credit freeze. I thought I had to enter my credit card for them to identify me. I read their agreement very carefully and it said nothing about a charge or that I was signing up for credit monitoring. Next thing I knew they were billing me $24.95 for CREDIT MONITORING. You can't just cancel online. You still get billed an entire month. It took me probably ten minutes online with an agent to cancel the account and get a refund. I believe this is very deceptive website and bad practice done by a credit company of all things.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I did an online dispute of my TransUnion credit report last month. When it was completed it asked if I would like to view it. But it would not let me in at all. So I called the customer service department who said, "We don’t handle online," and gave me another number. When I called the number I was transfer 7 times all saying, "That is not our department." One lady offered to read the dispute information to me over the phone and I explained it is none of her business. Since I can’t view it then mail it to me. "No we can’t do that because you checked online," and hung up.

I called the number again and the guy said, "They have to mail or email you permission to view your online dispute before you can see it." The guy blew me off and call out a phone number really fast and said, "Corporate office for your Complaint." After all that I have to file the dispute one by one by hand to send again. I may be done in a week if I am lucky just to get the dispute I did by mail because the online one will expires in 5 days. Never will deal with them again ever in my life again!!!!

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg