1.00/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

677 TransUnion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I signed up to look up my credit score for $1. 6 months later, and I see $21.73 charged on my credit card from abroad every month for 6 months by TransUnion. Since it’s from abroad, I don’t receive monthly statements so didn’t see the charges until today. I called and they refused to refund me. They said that I signed up to their service and it isn't for free. No email, no notification, no warning, no nothing. This company’s practice should be illegal. They lure you in by offering a service for a small amount and then have you inadvertently subscribe to a monthly service for a much higher amount. It’s predatory.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

FIX YOUR WEBSITE! That this Corporation has been able to maintain "favored" standing as one of only 3 MAJOR Credit Repositories Nationwide is a outright travesty. Just look at the reviews! It seems painfully obvious that Customer Service is not part of their Corporate Culture. What is the company's mission statement? "Obfuscate Till Death?" I have wasted countless hours wading through the egregious functionality of TransUnion's website and total lack of customer service. TUC dispute dashboard instructs you to click on links. They do not provide to file or review disputes, indicates your information was not received or failed to transmit as an "already resolved account".

When attempting to dispute, they tell you to click into a checkbox provided In any tradeline you wish to challenge then offer no checkbox. When attempting to contact anyone at the company, I was placed into a never-ending rotation of FAQ as a consumer with no option to speak or chat with a live person until I indicated I was a business affiliate SO I could leave review and when was finished and submitted the inquiry, the automated response said it seemed like I was consumer my request should be redirected to the consumer website & popped me out of the site. They continue to hit me with duplicate derog that are erroneous and have made it almost impossible to resolve. THEY DON'T CARE. THEY GET THE BUSINESS ANYWAY. SHAME ON YOU AND YOUR CEO TRANSUNION!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I divorced in 2007 forcing me into bankruptcy since he absolutely refuses to pay his 50% of the bills while we awaited our hearing in family court with adult and minor children. I sure did pay mine, as soon as I filed I personally enrolled in Credit Karma! I ordered my free credit reports 30 as my case was heard at hearing from all 3 reporting agencies. Next, I got one prepaid credit card. I never went off a 50 percent balance. I only paid off the card maybe 2 -3 times a year. Leave a small balance on the card NOW. You are rebuilding credit. I started at 480 when my husband stopped paying bills!

I was always in the around 750. Next, I made the same mistake I am reading here. I needed another place to monitor. I knew to stop the service the company just does not stop and I keep getting a bank draft month after month it is so annoying, unethical, poor business practices, stealing from the customer that I am honestly surprised they do not have a class lawsuit for wasting everyone's time. I went back to Credit Karma 2 years to the day I was at 764 and had cleaned up my credit to buy a home all by my self with 30% down for my daughters and I. Good luck everyone and you can use free sites to do just as much! I learned the hard way as well! Cheers!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I used TransUnion Interactive website to get a full credit report to look into my credit score. I inadvertently signed up for a monthly credit score membership that cost $19.95/month with supposed unlimited updates whenever I wanted of my credit reports. However when I would try to update my credit reports The site charges another $29.95 to update it, so what is the $19.95/month for? I have no idea... The cancellation process seemed easy enough, but no refund for my Membership, I have to wait my month out to see if they try to charge me again. They offered me a free month (no good if the promises of the site are worthless) and reduced monthly fee of $9.95/month after the free month... I chose to cancel and not the offers that still did not change the fact I was being charged for absolutely nothing! WASTE OF MONEY!!!

Original review: July 26, 2018

All my accounts are in good standing, no derogatory marks, no hard inquiries. Transunion gives me 623 score and the others give me 745 & 748. I tried to use their dispute process but it had dead link in middle of the process. I called and spoke to some Haji from India who I reluctantly had to give my Social to. I could barely understand this guy who talked over me and then hung up on me when I had to raise my voice to speak. Since they are not accredited, I intend to pursue with aggression any future predatory lending processes using Transunion as a basis for their decisions. There appears to be no way existing to fix this problem except to notate it on Consumer Affairs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: July 19, 2018

These sites seem designed only to push credit cards! I was told my score was "Fair" because I didn't have enough credit card activity. This week I opened a credit card with Amazon. A few weeks ago I started a new credit card with my bank. Today for the 1st time I opened an account with PayPal. The result? My credit scores dropped! This is insane! Their scores are clearly meaningless!!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have a low score in TransUnion of 491, however, there is no reason for this as I am paying two credit cards on time every other week with GREENPATH (an angel) and I have one mortgage which I also pay on time. I almost paid for my home in full and survived all the Wall Street chaos where the Wall Street crooks gain money and we the people got robbed. Then they come up with this inquires that I did not make and lower my points. The credit report is fabricated by credit cards so we get in debt and pay thousands in interest. Shame on TransUnion. They are evil evil evil. I lost a job because TransUnion harming and inaccurate information.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Was told by a company I was working with that my credit score had gone down. Perplexed, I checked with TransUnion only to find they had included my son's credit scores with mine, assuming his name was my alias. When I went to the website and filed a complaint, I was then told to see my new credit score. They wanted to charge me when I tried to check that an ERROR they created was fixed. A bunch of dishonest lying morons. They should be investigated.

Original review: July 10, 2018

TransUnion mentions a free credit report initially. It charges a fee of $29.95 on the credit card that you provide them. I talked with their customer service about the same and they seem completely clueless on how to address the reversal of the charges. Worst company. Stay away from TransUnion.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Got email from Credit Karma saying my score dropped because of TransUnion. The thing I think I did wrong was trying to check out the internet rates on loans that my mobile banking app offered. This is so wrong. If anything it should go up for being able to manage my accounts and payments online.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Transunion will email you. In the email you will check a box to check your credit. They charge you $1. You do not realize that this was a 7-day trial for a subscription. After that, they charge you $19.95 for a continuing subscription. The following is a quote from another... of thousands... that says this: "My understanding was that it cost $19,95 for the report, I filled in my credit card information, and received the report for my landlord. It was my own negligence in not noticing that $19,95 has been charged to my credit card every month since then for six additional months. Apparently I 'subscribed' to a monthly service, but I certainly the word 'subscription' does not stand out in my memory. It must have been in the fine print." This is the type of scam techniques that Transunion is using on unsuspecting people just looking to see their credit (which is offered once annually by law)!

Original review: June 29, 2018

WE ALL KNOW HOW IMPORTANT A CREDIT SCORE IS! From what I can see on this site and from my personal experience with them, Transunion are flagrantly engaging in illegal practices! When questioning a claim of outstanding debt, I was told "You should not contact the originator of the debt claim as the debt now rests with Transunion." After waiting 6 weeks for Transunion to dispute the debt and revert I called them and asked for the claimant's contact details. Transunion call center refused to give these details to me. Having only had 1 medical bill in the US in 33 years it wasn't difficult to find the source of the debt claim, it just simply involved listening to a call-hold message for almost 2 hours to get through to the first rep.

This rep was at least helpful after I had to wait so long so I didn't vent at her anywhere near as much as I wanted to. She informed me that not only had the hospital entered my personal address information incorrectly (listing a US address when I was actually residing in Denmark) there was also a charge for a subcontracted doctor which I had never been informed of during the consultation. Nobody ever noticed that the bills were being sent to a non-existent address!!! At least this rep was able to give me the contact detail of the originator of the debt who I contacted straight away. The rep confirmed bills had been sent to a non-existent address. They also had no record that I was a self-pay patient so the outstanding bill only 126 dollars rather than 315 which they were going to charge an insurance company.

Summary: After 2.5 hours on the phone I was able to pay the outstanding 126 dollars debt which I never knew existed as I had lived overseas for 33 years and never had to worry about credit history. The company also informed me that Transunion would be informed same day and instructed them to remove the record of the debt. 3 days on and this record is still showing against my credit score. I have called Transunion's "Delaware registered phone number" (which connects you to a call center in the Philippines) and I asked a very specific question: "How long will it take Transunion to remove the outstanding debt remark from my credit history." I repeatedly asked the same question and the representative evaded the question every time refusing to even give me an estimate of the time required to remove the remark and clear my credit score.

The reps are clearly trained to ONLY give feedback which guides you to pay Transunion to clear the debt and/or to sign up to their subscription service. They will not give you any indication that the debt can still be resolved with the originator. I am currently registering a claim with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: https://complaint.consumerfinance.gov 1-855-411-2372 and I would encourage all parties who been treated unfairly by this company to do the same.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I needed to get a credit report with my name on it for a potential landlord in Toronto. I love Credit Karma, but unfortunately my credit score and name didn't appear on the same page. So I started looking on internet for another free credit score company. Came upon TransUnion which claims you can get a free credit report. Great. After selecting headline which says free credit report I get onto the site to type in all your info from your name, address, SIN, and credit card number. Big mistake. I thought they needed credit card number to search for any unpaid bills. Apparently it was to charge me for a $19.95 monthly fee. No confirmation of this charge was given. At the end of the process they will tell you your credit card has been charged $19.95. Surprise!

Called them up as they do not have an email available. (in this day and age?) So I decided to check website for Transunion scams. Oh yeah! Not good. Should have checked here first. Learnt my lesson. After contacting them by phone, and them switching you to other people who can help (which none of them can seem to help you) I think I finally canceled the subscription. He gave me a cancellation number but does that really mean anything? I guess I'll have to wait one month to see if they will still charge my card continuously. Bad experience. Don't even deal with them. They are obviously deceitful. Just look at all the complaints about them on this site.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Not sure how my score can be 20 points lower on TransUnion than the 3 other companies with the same thing on both but I know TransUnion spams my inbox to sign up for a monthly fee to monitor my credit when the other's do not... I'm beginning to think there may be favors if you sign up. Maybe my score will go up if I join? I don't understand why so may companies go by this one credit bureau. Think they are a scam and need investigated.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Address information is impossible to update. They only accept two pieces of address documentation, that have to be EXACTLY the same. My state driver's license does last name comma first name, and the second document does the name as one string (first name middle last name.) It was a bank statement... pretty trustworthy. Not sure why a business exists that can affect people's credit so drastically, yet is run so poorly.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My credit rating recently dropped by almost 60 points because my mortgage company sold my mortgage to another company. No changes to balance, payment amount, or interest rate. Contacting TransUnion was a complete waste of time. First they blamed Credit Karma (5 stars for them) who provides my credit reports even though I was looking at the TransUnion report. They don't have any history on file, so they couldn't look at the previous report, had no idea why anything happened, and then required me to pay $10 to get a detailed report. It is extremely unfortunate that such a company controls how banks look at your credit. If I ran my business as they do, I would have been bankrupt in two weeks!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I wanted to look at my credit report and did a search on free credit reports. I clicked the link to the TransUnion page assuming I would not be charged without prior notification. Once on their page I entered in my information. Nowhere on the site did it say I would be charged a subscription fee. My bank showed a charge of $19.95 which I had not authorized (the website said they need my account number in order to calculate the report). I did not see any note anywhere that I would be charged.

The first call I made to their customer service was awful. The lady who responded (foreign) denied that I had any reason to complain and was quite rude. Later that day, I called and a different person was able to cancel (I hope) the charge and subscription. This is obviously a bait and switch - search for a free report, go to the page, enter your information and incur a recurring monthly fee that is hidden. This company's web page should be shut down until they make it clear that you will be charged monthly for the info you submit.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I was a victim of identity theft. I contacted all 3 credit bureaus with fraud alerts and freezes on my accounts, letting them know I was disputing two accounts opened in my name as well as inaccurate phone numbers on my account (I did this through my credit report). I finally get their investigation results and they state that these two credit cards that were opened by thieves in a city about 4 hours away from me, which I have never lived or even visited, were verified and accurate. I have a police report and Federal Trade Commission report which were sent to them and there is a letter from one of the cards, who just finished their investigation, stating it was fraud and have sent information to all Credit Bureaus to remove this information.

Also TransUnion, just like Equifax, has given the fraudulent address as MY address. I am afraid to contact them to correct all of the misinformation in my report because I am concerned they will once again provide the wrong information to my creditors regarding my address and have my accounts blocked again or closed, just as happened with Equifax.

Again, they are supposed to help protect our identity and are not listening or actually contacting proper representatives because both of these banks know there was fraud and were investigating them as such and they also have the police report and Federal Trade Commission identity theft report. How can they get it so wrong and victimize me once again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

TransUnion continues to report inaccurate or false information on my credit report. I have disputed these inaccuracies multiple times with documentation to prove them, and they refuse to delete them from my file.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Tried to place a freeze on my account after the Equifax hack. I thought that's what I had done, until I realized they'd been charging me $21 every month. Evidently, I actually placed a "lock" on my account and signed up for a membership of credit monitoring, which is not what I wanted (They make it very difficult to find the freeze info, per this article: **). I canceled that membership using these guidelines (**) and placed a freeze (linked in the Cleveland.com article). Ridiculous that they're preying on people like this.

Original review: May 26, 2018

They had my address showing an apartment number even though it’s not. The other two credit bureaus had it correct, but obviously TransUnion made the keying error. In order to correct it, I had to respond correctly to questions posed by CSR’s speaking with heavy accents, which I attended on three separate occasions and also sent them documents proving my correct address. Each time I answer the questions I was told I failed to answer them accurately. 3 times, they sent me copies of my credit report even though I never asked for it. Finally, after sending them documents in the mail and calling them three times to have the apartment number removed from my address, I escalated the matter to a supervisor who promised to correct the error (this promise was awesome made by the previous made phone calls). It remains to be seen whether they will have corrected the problem.

Finally, after sending them documents in the mail and calling them 3 times to have the apt number removed from my address, I escalated the matter to a supervisor who promised to correct the error (this promise was also made by a CSR on a previous phone call). It remains to be seen whether they will have corrected the problem. In order to get them to do their jobs correctly, apparently you have to turn them over to the FTC, which I intend to do in the next couple of weeks if I don’t see the correction on my credit report. Bottom line is, we are not their customers. We did not hire them or choose to work with them. They have our personal data and enough information to cause tremendous harm. The only way to get them to do a better job is to continually report their bad practices and poor service to the FTC.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My initial contact with TransUnion was on Nov. 16, 2017 when I needed a credit report for a potential landlord. My understanding was that it cost $19,95 for the report, I filled in my credit card information, and received the report for my landlord. It was my own negligence in not noticing that $19,95 has been charged to my credit card every month since then for six additional months. Apparently I 'subscribed' to a monthly service, but I certainly the word 'subscription' does not stand out in my memory. It must have been in the fine print.

TransUnion did send monthly reports, but I thought they were promotional. At no time did they affirm or inform that $19.95 had been charged to my account. When I phoned the company to cancel my subscription, they said they were not able to provide an email validation or record of my agreement. I'm out of pocket $119.70. Company did not offer to return money. I blame myself for not catching it sooner on my credit card statements. Please advice consumers that it is deceptively easy to 'subscribe' to TransUnion for something you don't want. I now have concerns that this situation will come back at me and affect my credit rating.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I don't understand why everyone uses TransUnion. They're full of lies and seems like they try and fill in missing pieces and their accuracy is so far from truth! The other two companies listen to both sides of the story and let you submit proof for your side but, TransUnion on the other hand seem to work on ruining your credit with the scammers. Middle Eastern people who screwing with people lives but, their judgement day is coming and they'll get theirs 10 fold!! Thanks for ruining my life!!! And you're the only one of 3!

I'm a single mom with CHF who has been cleaning up my credit for four years and other 2 B's have worked with me and they have been working against me even with proof and you have costed me everything but, I will continue to pray for conviction on you! Oh and I believe wholeheartedly that you're the ones leaking personal information of millions to the middle Eastern scammers who constantly calling daily scamming!!! Our government allows it 'cause it weaves out thousands 'cause there isn't enough for everyone!! But, repercussion will come when God comes back!!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I cancelled my subscription with TransUnion on 05/05/18. That same day they sent a cancellation confirmation stating I will no longer be billed and can access my account until 06/06/18. This morning I was going through my bank statement. On 05/07/18 TransUnion took their normal monthly fee from my bank account. I have the email they sent to confirm and screenshot of bank transaction. Now to get my money back and stop them from future withdraws, they're worst than the creditors because they have access to your accounts and they will access them. I tried to get the billing department. I'm told to contact sales representative if I have question regarding billing. I will let you know how it turns out.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I paid for the service so that I could monitor my credit score, when I tried the first time to access their site, I got NA, so I called support to notify there may be an issue, the person apologized then told me they were having issues with some of the users, hence I was affected, told me to check on Saturday. So I tried on Sunday and it still showed NA, so I called again, again they told me they will call or send an email to let me know when I could access my account, it has been a week and a half and no one called or emailed me. It seems to me there was never an issue with the system and they were lying. Today called and asked TransUnion to refund me for the non-service. What a waste.

Original review: April 30, 2018

First off hold times are ridiculous if you call first thing in the morning when on the East Coast. Longer holds more understandable if calling after that as more time zones would be calling in. Why not set up a call queue like many companies have to return calls in the order received. Secondly, why do I have to input answers to all questions if you are not yet open? Why not advise us to call back during business hours and state what that is, INCLUDING time zone.

Original review: April 23, 2018

15 HOURS or more I have spent wasting my time talking to TransUnion reps. They have given me the wrong information, not done what they said they would do, not called when they said they would, started a dispute in my account without my permission, dropped my credit score for no reason, the list is endless. As others have said, unexplainedly they dropped my credit score 20 plus pts in November. NOTHING was wrong with my credit.

After at least 10 phone calls to them, someone finally admitted TransUnion decided to change their scoring model and it dropped everyone's score. They did not announce it. I spoke to a government agency and they said they didn't know about it either. I will not go talk to offshore reps as they are never correct. The US reps are not any better. I question the legality of this company and think there should be a class action lawsuit. Credit scores have an enormous impact on people's lives. TransUnion SHOULD NOT be allowed to harm everyone this way.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Like others, I signed up for what I thought was a free credit check and not only was I surreptitiously charged for a 99.95/yr subscription but after speaking with a rep (who was rude and insisted I signed up for the service) and cancelled the charge, I was charged a second time three days later for the same amount. To boot, I was able to dispute the first transaction with my bank but there's no option to do so with the second, identical charge. Very strange.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The background to this incident is that my credit score, as reported on Credit Karma dropped from 851 to 823, for no apparent reason. I wanted to find out why, so I called them on their 'contact us' phone line. This was about 7-10 days ago: I spoke to a TransUnion representative on the phone. I asked if she could tell me why my credit score, as shown on Credit Karma, had declined. She told me that TransUnion was not involved in calculating my score; that it was Credit Karma who determined my score. I advised her of my previous dealings with Credit Karma, who told me that they did not calculate scores; they just provided access to them. The TransUnion rep then told me that I should check with Equifax. I told her that Credit Karma had expressly advised me (as confirmed on their site) that they obtained their scores from TransUnion and not Equifax. The TransUnion rep then asked me to hold on and she would access my file.

She asked me some 'security questions' and told me that I had passed the security screening. She then reviewed my file and told me that there was absolutely nothing in my file that would account for a decrease in my credit score. I expressed frustration and said that I was being led in circles and I reiterated that it could only be TransUnion that had decreased my score. She then told me that the only way I could find out why my score had decreased was to access my file on TransUnion's website, and she provided me with the URL for their website. I accessed the site, and while doing so I was again asked a number of security questions, which included the provision of credit card information. I then accessed my file, but was no further ahead in trying to determine why my score had decreased. There was nothing in my file that addressed that issue.

I signed out of their site, and within 5 minutes and I received an email receipt from TransUnion, thanking me for my application for them to be my credit monitor, and advising that I had been charged $19.95. This was outrageous, as I had not intended to pay them anything or apply for anything. I was simply following her direction that I log onto their site to ascertain why my credit score had decreased. I immediately called TransUnion and a different agent answered the phone. When I started to explain what had happened, she immediately told me that she would cancel the transaction and refund the $19.95. I haven't confirmed with my credit card issuer, but I expect that they followed through. If not, I will take further steps. In any event, this interaction with TransUnion was completely unsatisfactory, almost to the point of being fraudulent, and I think you should know about it. Thanks.

Original review: April 16, 2018

When I bought my credit report from them I was sure I was only getting a one time report for $4.95 and not a $19 monthly subscription! I have an absolute aversion to getting trapped in subscriptions mostly because you forget and unless you are really paying attention can pay for years for nothing. After going back and studying the website... Yes I was in the wrong. I should have paid a lot closer attention to the details. This type of scam I am sure works well for them and would bet that most of their victims... I mean customers have no idea that they are paying monthly. To me it summarizes the company's character and would not deal with them again if my life depended on it. I am just glad I caught it when I did!!! I feel sorry for those that don't. On top of that there is something creepy about a company "stealing", so to speak, my personal information of those I have dealt with and then selling it back to me.

Not sure about TransUnion?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Credit Report Sites for you.

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

PA
19022-2000
www.transunion.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business