2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.3/5 (326 ratings)

About TransUnion

TransUnion is one of the three national credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and Experian. Lenders, landlords, employers and other companies may pull credit reports from one or more of these bureaus. You can request a free copy of your TransUnion credit report once per year, or you can purchase credit monitoring for daily updates on your score and credit activity. This company also provides educational resources, consumer assistance services and other helpful tools for people looking to take control of their credit.

Pros

• Credit monitoring services
  • Credit offers
  • Free annual credit score

Cons

• May differ from other bureaus
  • Monthly cost for monitoring

Bottom Line

TransUnion is a credit agency that provides credit scores and reports to consumers. It also offers credit monitoring services, identity theft protection and credit offers from third-party lenders.

What is a TransUnion credit score?

TransUnion maintains a database of consumer information and assigns people credit scores based on those details. Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), you can request your credit report for free on Transunion’s website once per year. If you prefer real-time updates, you can sign up for its credit monitoring services that provide daily credit score updates, credit recommendations and online credit locks.

In addition to monitoring services, TransUnion offers free identity theft protection, financial calculators and credit offers. Its consumer assistance team can help with credit needs like disputed items, credit freezes, fraud alerts and assistance for active-duty military personnel. Consumers can also browse TransUnion’s credit education section to learn more about topics like debt, credit bureaus, mortgages and more.

Cost of TransUnion credit report

TransUnion’s credit monitoring services cost $24.95 per month and include daily credit updates, recommendations, credit locks, monthly tips and more. All consumers are entitled to one free credit report per year, and you can request this report online.

Transunion also provides free disputes on inquiries, credit score drops, personal information and incorrect accounts. It offers free identity theft protection through TrueIdentity and does not require a credit card to sign up. For pricing on TransUnion business services, contact one of its client support specialists.

TransUnion FAQ

What is a good TransUnion credit score?
A good TransUnion score ranges from 700 to 850. However, you can still qualify for lending opportunities and pass other credit checks with a score lower than 700.
What is your TransUnion credit score used for?
TransUnion credit scores are used to confirm your creditworthiness when you’re borrowing money, interviewing for certain jobs or applying for rental properties. You can request a copy of your credit report to see what creditors and others see when they check your credit.
What does TransUnion do?
TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus that compile data to create a credit score for each consumer. It lets you see your credit report for free once per year or with a subscription to its credit monitoring service.
What banks use TransUnion?
Many banks and lenders check all three credit bureaus, but this will vary from bank to bank. To confirm which agency your bank uses, check its website.
What lenders use TransUnion?
Most lenders check all three credit bureaus, but some have their own proprietary system for evaluating consumer credit. Check with your lender for more information on which agencies it uses.

Is TransUnion legit?

TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus, and it has a strong reputation for providing reliable, consistent credit scores. It offers credit monitoring services, fraud alerts, identity theft protection and other useful services to help consumers maximize their credit. By working on their TransUnion score, people can improve their credit standing with lenders, employers, landlords and more.

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: July 16, 2021

I called TU to cancel the service one for $19.95 and the other for $24.95. The first customer service agent could not do it so he escalated to Larry Employee. #**. He was extremely unpleasant and got much more unpleasant when I told him I could not check my TU credit report with **. He answer was "I can only wait 2 minutes on line" but it was the way in which he said it. He said he would escalate it and I had to wait until it was fixed. I've spoken to others who also cannot receive a free credit report because there is a problem with TU? Um...maybe this forces consumers to pay for their service?

Original review: July 10, 2021

I have used Transunion for many years and have had no issues with it until this past 6 months. I have an item on my report that is incorrect. I have used the “Dispute” feature and it has not corrected the issue. I have tried this 2 different times and they still have not corrected this problem. Due to this fact this is why I gave the rating.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Basic credit reporting should be easy, factual and provided as a service to both sides of any consumer transaction. But TransUnion stands out to us as an unreliable and irresponsible partner. They state a 'credit history' of less than 2 years on our bank account's 'credit service' statement. And that statement dings our score by a huge amount. When written to, questioned, and shown evidence that the statement is laughably incorrect, to the degree that 3 other credit report companies state our credit history as 17 years +, TransUnion replied they couldn't understand our complaint and so can't take any action. Clearly they simply want to avoid being labelled as unreliable and incorrect as they might lose the earnings they get from the financial institutions that contract with them. But they are paid to provide accurate information!

So I will keep writing to TU until someone bothers to give me a rational answer, though I suspect, unless you have employed a lawyer to handle any dispute, Transunion could care less. This scam of a company must be publicly labelled as such. They have little interest in the things they supposedly exist to provide: accuracy and good service.

Original review: June 27, 2021

When the credit rating changes the reason does not seem to match the increase or decrease. The overall credit rating does seem to remain constant but the company sure makes a big deal.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I think they should add a checklist for subscribe fee amount free to add on. Will give us a better choice to protect themselfs, also the amount of protection should be more in line with their credit limits and income or better raising or lower protection coverages as with the amount of premium add on to give consumers a better and firm choice in matters. It will also increasingly add to your revenue and bring down cancel of subscription. Also adding to check list all credit freze, lock, to all and for all.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I've maintained an account with TransUnion for many years (along with the other two credit reporting agencies) for purposes of maintaining a credit freeze on my account. Today I logged on to do a temporary lift, a routine process. During login, 2FA sent a code to my e-mail, but I delayed in getting back to the web to enter the code. Due to the delay (I presume), it "temporarily suspended my account". I called to resolve, and after talking to several reps, including a supervisor, was forced to just give up without resolution. They insisted that I didn't have an account, despite that "my account was suspended". The supervisor was impatient, rude, and condescending. I am not sure if TransUnion outsources support, but I can be sure that the organization does not value customer experience. Zero stars.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I hold an excellent credit score. I had a loan from Toyota Financial Services. Never missed a payment and always paid on time. Decided to pay off loan early so as not to accrue additional interest payments. Checked my credit score with TransUnion after finalizing said loan and it was reduced by 10 points. Was informed that it was due to the fact I had a closed Toyota account on file. I explained to them the account was closed by Toyota because the loan was satisfied. They informed me they still view it as a closed account and legally they can reduce my credit score.

Let me be very clear Never Missed A Payment and Never Late On A Payment. Basically because I paid my car loan off they dropped my credit score. The account was closed because loan was paid in full. The same credit agency that stresses the importance of monitor your credit and preach the importance of maintaining a high credit score will purposely lower your score even though you do everything correctly and never miss a payment. Just think about that.

Original review: May 29, 2021

Updated on 07/19/2021: I have made dozens of requests for my credit report since January 2021, which TransUnion ignores and refuses to send me my credit report. I have made the requests in writing, on my TransUnion account online, and on annualcreditreport.com. After multiple refusals, I contacted TransUnion by phone and was told that because I have a security freeze on my credit report, they are NOT ABLE to release my credit report online.

On 6/13/2021, I again attempted to retrieve my credit report from Annual Credit Report, which was refused and required a written request. On 6/13/2021, I attempted again to retrieve my credit report from TransUnion on my account after logging in, which was refused. Their website says I am able to request a credit report every 24 hours, which is false. On 6/13/2021, to test a theory that TransUnion will not provide a FREE copy but will provide a PAID copy, I signed up for the credit monitoring service on TransUnion's website. I was able to set up an account very easily and TransUnion did not request an information to verify my identity and PROVIDED A COPY OF MY CREDIT REPORT. TransUnion is refusing to provide me with a free copy of my credit report and is forcing me to purchase it in order to access it.

The representative with whom I spoke in May 2021 gave me falsified information regarding the inaccessibility of my credit report online because of a fraud/security freeze. I have had a security freeze on my credit report since 2013 and only for the past six months have they refused my credit report online. I have also attached several documents of proof of identity and address to each written request so that TransUnion has no excuse of dismissing or ignoring this complaint referencing proof of identity. On 6/13/2021, after discovering this falsification by TransUnion and their gross negligence in issuing my credit report, I filed a complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. To date, they have not responded and continue, as of today 7/19/2021, refuse to issue my free copy of my credit report.

Original Review: I am a documented victim of identity theft with a police report and FTC affidavit on file with TransUnion for the past 4 years. Despite this and my credit report being set to frozen, unauthorized and fraudulent inquiries have hit my credit report, AND an account was opened without my authorization. I have sent in dozens of disputes over the past few years, every single one of them ignored. I have sent in several disputes in the past few months regarding the unauthorized inquiries and fraud accounts. After a month with no response, which is a violation of FCRA, the rep I spoke with stated they don’t care about alleged fraud claims and stated that TransUnion does not remove inquiries, regardless of whether they were authorized or not.

Original review: May 21, 2021

I had a workers compensation claim that didn't get paid by my employer get reported to all 3 credit bureaus. My employer settled the mistake with the collection agency and the collection agency asked for it to removed from my credit report. It was removed from all 3 credit bureaus reports. My score went back up on other 2 reports but not on Transunion. I used online chat to get a better understanding of why. I was basically told that was not how they operate and that just because my score went down 25 points when it was reported it doesn't mean that removing it will help my score at all. I don't understand the policy or the rudeness.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I cannot login, says account is suspended! I know my user name and password. It has me submit a request (online form) specifically for that and no one gets back to me. Site states long wait times for phone, so how the hell can I unfreeze my credit? I needed it done days ago! Worthless and seems extremely unfair they report so different than other bureaus.

TransUnion Company Information