3.6/5 (692 ratings)

About TransUnion

TransUnion is one of the three national credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and Experian. Lenders, landlords, employers and other companies may pull credit reports from one or more of these bureaus. You can request a free copy of your TransUnion credit report once per year, or you can purchase credit monitoring for daily updates on your score and credit activity. This company also provides educational resources, consumer assistance services and other helpful tools for people looking to take control of their credit.

Pros

• Credit monitoring services
  • Credit offers
  • Free annual credit score

Cons

• May differ from other bureaus
  • Monthly cost for monitoring

Bottom Line

TransUnion is a credit agency that provides credit scores and reports to consumers. It also offers credit monitoring services, identity theft protection and credit offers from third-party lenders.

What is a TransUnion credit score?

TransUnion maintains a database of consumer information and assigns people credit scores based on those details. Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), you can request your credit report for free on Transunion’s website once per year. If you prefer real-time updates, you can sign up for its credit monitoring services that provide daily credit score updates, credit recommendations and online credit locks.

In addition to monitoring services, TransUnion offers free identity theft protection, financial calculators and credit offers. Its consumer assistance team can help with credit needs like disputed items, credit freezes, fraud alerts and assistance for active-duty military personnel. Consumers can also browse TransUnion’s credit education section to learn more about topics like debt, credit bureaus, mortgages and more.

Cost of TransUnion credit report

TransUnion’s credit monitoring services cost $24.95 per month and include daily credit updates, recommendations, credit locks, monthly tips and more. All consumers are entitled to one free credit report per year, and you can request this report online.

Transunion also provides free disputes on inquiries, credit score drops, personal information and incorrect accounts. It offers free identity theft protection through TrueIdentity and does not require a credit card to sign up. For pricing on TransUnion business services, contact one of its client support specialists.

TransUnion FAQ

What is a good TransUnion credit score?
A good TransUnion score ranges from 700 to 850. However, you can still qualify for lending opportunities and pass other credit checks with a score lower than 700.
What is your TransUnion credit score used for?
TransUnion credit scores are used to confirm your creditworthiness when you’re borrowing money, interviewing for certain jobs or applying for rental properties. You can request a copy of your credit report to see what creditors and others see when they check your credit.
What does TransUnion do?
TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus that compile data to create a credit score for each consumer. It lets you see your credit report for free once per year or with a subscription to its credit monitoring service.
What banks use TransUnion?
Many banks and lenders check all three credit bureaus, but this will vary from bank to bank. To confirm which agency your bank uses, check its website.
What lenders use TransUnion?
Most lenders check all three credit bureaus, but some have their own proprietary system for evaluating consumer credit. Check with your lender for more information on which agencies it uses.

Is TransUnion legit?

TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus, and it has a strong reputation for providing reliable, consistent credit scores. It offers credit monitoring services, fraud alerts, identity theft protection and other useful services to help consumers maximize their credit. By working on their TransUnion score, people can improve their credit standing with lenders, employers, landlords and more.

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Paid monthly premium, showed score of almost 50 points less of another company, tried several times to update, would freeze. Finally after trying several days, finally updated only 14 points. I don't trust this company.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

The only reason I use TransUnion is to lift a Credit Freeze. For last 5 years when I login to their site to simply put a lift on my Credit Freeze the site says the following. This is the same message that they've been giving me for 5 years!!! Then I have to call and use their old horrible automated phone system. What a completely out of date company that doesn't care about their users and customers.

"Your TransUnion Credit Report Freeze status is currently: UNKNOWN. The TransUnion Credit Freeze Service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. If you need immediate assistance, please contact our Consumer Relations team at 800-916-8800, open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time."

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2022

I Wanted to find out how to unfreeze my credit and when I called the answer machine was in Spanish only, I selected 1 for English and called 3 times and it came in Spanish. Now 3 hours later I finally got someone on the phone in English. She was Hispanic and I told her about it and she laughed and laughed. I am so sick of those people, that attitude is disgusting. They come here and all they can do is scream "se halbla Español". Because they are too stupid and ignorant to learn English. I learned English before I came to this country from Europa, not from Spain, but the Hispanic here don't know where Spain is in Europa, they have no education. This is the United States of America. Not a Hispanic country.

Original review: June 24, 2022

Just like a lot of other things, we have no real control over who gets to report on our credit worthiness, or how they report it, but TransUnion is by far the worst of the 3. At least Experian and Equifax are consistent, and do not work on extremes. My credit score DROPPED 49 points because the balance on one of my credit cards dropped from $246 to $0. I cannot believe lenders actually trust the information coming from them. Again, TransUnion is **.

Original review: June 13, 2022

0 star. I don't know how they mixed my credit information with my sister's! I contacted them to close the credit account that belongs to my sister, and they proceeded to close ALL my accounts which made my credit score drop by almost 100 points! It is also hard to get hold of someone through the phone, and the customer service can hardly speak English. I am worried the mistake might not be fixed as it is hard to communicate with them. They want me to MAIL them a cover letter and write down the issue on top because they can not handle issues by phone and online—terrible, terrible company. I can't believe how other parties can use the credit report from TransUnion as the credit source.

Original review: June 12, 2022

This credit bureau is used by mostly everyone and has ruined more peoples credit score than all the other ones. They have listed inaccuracies on my report repeatedly. They have listed 2 accounts closed that I’m still paying on. Capital One Auto; Fingerhut.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I would give ZERO, if I could. I called CreditUnion customer service today after I saw that my credit score went down 35 points with no change to my report since 4 days ago, or since a month ago - except less balance on my credit cards and increased credit limits, which should do the opposite and give me a better score. The customer service agent hardly spoke English, which I could deal with, if he then understood that 6 is a bigger number than 4. Regardless of what I said, he continued going back 5 months when I took a loan, which added to my debt.

My credit dipped temporarily in January, but has steadily gone back up ever since as I have paid everything on time and balances have continued going down. He could not even understand how car loans work and claimed that my score must have dipped because the car loan balance should be even lower now after 5 months. In other words, these people have no knowledge of how these loans work and how you pay the same amount every month and first year or so a large part of the payment is toward interest.

The loan terms even indicate that you are NOT allowed to make additional payments toward the principal during the first 6 months. Yet this man continued telling me how I should have been paying the lown down more by now after 5 payments. He had no capacity to listen, nor did he have any idea how things work. He went back to last year info telling me how I had a huge jump on credit card balance, which must be the reason. He would not listen, when I explained that the balance he is talking about has been reduced already months ago and the credit report has been indicating so. He then informed that there is nothing he can do about anything anyway, nor is there any human being on earth who could explain why such significant dip down on the credit score happened. The biggest 40 minutes of aggravation and a waste of my time ever! Would not pay a dime to this company for anything they do.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I was force to give a star rating. I would give a zero star but to do the review I had to. This credit bureau should be a good bureau for consumers' credit but unfortunately the people that are running it lack of knowledge on how to clear and increase the credit score compare to the other 2 bureaus. I have been disputing with them a collection charge for $59 from spectrum where spectrum has agreed that it was a mistake. I have been in talks with the Credit management collection where they have been more than helpful requesting this error to be removed from my credit report. They have submitted electronically request to have it removed since October 2021 but they still won’t. The collection agency has provided me with an AUD # and still can’t. The csr I have spoken to have no idea what an AUD # is .

The other 2 agencies have been able to remove it. They have no service to upload facts of dispute and they keep refusing to give a US phone number. I have talked 4 different times and my calls have always been routed to the Philippines. They are behind on updating the reports. Even they keep saying they have not received anything from the collection agency even tho 2 days after the collection agency submitted the request my credit report went from open to close but they still refuse to remove it. I feel very disappointed about how a company of this magnitude doesn’t pay better attention how they are servicing consumers and how our lives can be affected by their unprofessional and careless personnel. I just hope this review can be seen by someone from consumer affairs and do a thoroughly investigation so consumers like me can have their lives affected this much. Hope this help is all who are going thru this.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Froze my credit with the three big credit agencies. Had to lift the freeze during a home sale. TransUnion's website requires email confirmation to login. That doesn't work. Called their customer service number. The robot attendant asked for all my information which I keyed in. The robot couldn't accept the end date for the freeze lift. Couldn't get a human on the phone. Had to call back. Had to rekey all my personal information to get to a live person. Got someone in Guatemala who was nearly impossible to understand. They wanted my SSN, etc. again. I asked for someone in the US. They said that was impossible. After insisting they put me on a long hold and transferred me to someone in the US who I could understand and who ultimately took care of the issue. 45 mins to do a simple credit lift.

TransUnion is a profitable company. HIRE CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE!

Original review: May 12, 2022

My Credit report shows credit card balances that changed consistently since more than 30 days. My Fico changes accordingly, Transunion doesn’t. Therefore their reports and scores are unreliable and misleading.

TransUnion Company Information