1.01/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 17, 2018

650 TransUnion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

Like others, I signed up for what I thought was a free credit check and not only was I surreptitiously charged for a 99.95/yr subscription but after speaking with a rep (who was rude and insisted I signed up for the service) and cancelled the charge, I was charged a second time three days later for the same amount. To boot, I was able to dispute the first transaction with my bank but there's no option to do so with the second, identical charge. Very strange.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The background to this incident is that my credit score, as reported on Credit Karma dropped from 851 to 823, for no apparent reason. I wanted to find out why, so I called them on their 'contact us' phone line. This was about 7-10 days ago: I spoke to a TransUnion representative on the phone. I asked if she could tell me why my credit score, as shown on Credit Karma, had declined. She told me that TransUnion was not involved in calculating my score; that it was Credit Karma who determined my score. I advised her of my previous dealings with Credit Karma, who told me that they did not calculate scores; they just provided access to them. The TransUnion rep then told me that I should check with Equifax. I told her that Credit Karma had expressly advised me (as confirmed on their site) that they obtained their scores from TransUnion and not Equifax. The TransUnion rep then asked me to hold on and she would access my file.

She asked me some 'security questions' and told me that I had passed the security screening. She then reviewed my file and told me that there was absolutely nothing in my file that would account for a decrease in my credit score. I expressed frustration and said that I was being led in circles and I reiterated that it could only be TransUnion that had decreased my score. She then told me that the only way I could find out why my score had decreased was to access my file on TransUnion's website, and she provided me with the URL for their website. I accessed the site, and while doing so I was again asked a number of security questions, which included the provision of credit card information. I then accessed my file, but was no further ahead in trying to determine why my score had decreased. There was nothing in my file that addressed that issue.

I signed out of their site, and within 5 minutes and I received an email receipt from TransUnion, thanking me for my application for them to be my credit monitor, and advising that I had been charged $19.95. This was outrageous, as I had not intended to pay them anything or apply for anything. I was simply following her direction that I log onto their site to ascertain why my credit score had decreased. I immediately called TransUnion and a different agent answered the phone. When I started to explain what had happened, she immediately told me that she would cancel the transaction and refund the $19.95. I haven't confirmed with my credit card issuer, but I expect that they followed through. If not, I will take further steps. In any event, this interaction with TransUnion was completely unsatisfactory, almost to the point of being fraudulent, and I think you should know about it. Thanks.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

When I bought my credit report from them I was sure I was only getting a one time report for $4.95 and not a $19 monthly subscription! I have an absolute aversion to getting trapped in subscriptions mostly because you forget and unless you are really paying attention can pay for years for nothing. After going back and studying the website... Yes I was in the wrong. I should have paid a lot closer attention to the details. This type of scam I am sure works well for them and would bet that most of their victims... I mean customers have no idea that they are paying monthly. To me it summarizes the company's character and would not deal with them again if my life depended on it. I am just glad I caught it when I did!!! I feel sorry for those that don't. On top of that there is something creepy about a company "stealing", so to speak, my personal information of those I have dealt with and then selling it back to me.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Visited TransUnion website for information, clicked signup, went through the signup process. When they asked for a credit card info, double checked that there is no info about any charges, and after click submit - here you go, they subscribed you with a 19.95 monthly payment and already charged your credit card. Immediately canceled subscription, called their customer service, and they don't provide a refund. Absolutely terrible experience. I feel cheated.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My anger and frustration will probably reduce my ability to write coherently. Nonetheless, I would like to blurt out a few things. I was only able to see my credit score via Bank of America (some program I signed up for with them a couple years ago, I think). I wanted to complain about my credit score to TransUnion because I paid off ALL of my loans over a year ago, and when I did my credit score actually dipped. I reviewed my credit report, and everything looks accurate, so why is my score not awesome?? I did make a couple late payments to my home loan (before I sold my house), but that was almost a year and a half ago. Since then, like I said, I paid off my loans and credit card and have barely used my credit cards since (and when I do, I pay it off immediately). It's total ** that my credit score isn't at least 720.

TransUnion's website indicated that I can only contact them if I create an account first, so I did. But, first of all, they only offer a way to dispute something on your report, not to make other complaints. The only way to voice my complaint, apparently, was to call them. So, I did. I received a message that there is a higher than normal call volume, so please hold. Uh huh, so I wait a few minutes, give up and wait a few days. Again I receive this message and listen to music. After waiting 5 minutes, I give up and write this.

Another thing that irks me is that after I created an account with TransUnion, I couldn't view my credit score anywhere on their website (while logged in). It seems they wanted me to pay them money to be able to obtain information that they created about me! I still have access to my score via BofA, but I find it very WRONG that they get away with this.

We need to elect folks who care about our privacy and our right to be informed, and electing Trump and his greedy, spoiled, immoral buddies has moved us extremely far from ever obtaining common sense protections for common people. Too bad a third of our country is asleep and another third is completely brainwashed, unable to think rationally, and angry at the very people who are trying to improve their lives.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: April 9, 2018

I signed to look up my credit score for free. Four months later, and I saw $19.95 charged on my banking account by TransUnion. I called and they refused to refund. They said that I signed and it isn't for free. No email, no notification, no warning, and nothing, snatched money out of my bank just like that.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I am a U.S. citizen living in Canada. When I tried to freeze U.S. credit report I was told I needed to complete the action online and choose my own PIN. By this action, no physical mail would be sent to my former address in the U.S. The website did not work. When I tried to get help from customer service, the representatives were only able to direct me from department to department. No one had the ability to provide customer service.

Original review: April 7, 2018

They charged me 19.95 with literally no evidence or clarification that they were going to charge me, as I was signing up, before receiving any product, then did not send any email stating I was charged, and returned an error stating my information could not be validated. Bank statement has the 19.95 charge listed but even after talking to a support member, couldn't help me. Since it's Saturday, they couldn't even transfer me to the right place to fix the issue. So now we wait until Monday to sort out a problem where there shouldn't be one to begin with. After starting this review, I seriously couldn't find a single line stating I would be charged, nor an agreement to the subscription, nor the amount I would be charged for. Checked the terms and all that, nothing. I could not recommend this less.

Original review: March 30, 2018

They haven't updated my information since 1995. They have the job I had at that time along with the address I had at that time. This is nuts! These people call the shots? Lol. Wow! The other Credit reports were spot on and my score was good. This is insane.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I was concentrated on working and did not check my credit card for 6 month in great details. When I did I found that Transunion charged to my credit card $19.95 each month for the last 6 month for doing absolutely nothing. When called in they said I subscribed their service which I do not aware of. I would thought that service means you do something for people. I did not even know or understand what I am paying for. To prevent people from such a charge, my advice is that never deal with this company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Been trying to call about getting my information updated, for months, every time I call, they spend time going through list of questions and verification, then when you finally discuss your problem, they will say, "I am sorry, we are not able to do anything about it," and then forwards to another department, and then after going through list of questions and verification again, when you finally start discussing updating my address information, then they say, "We can't help you, it should have been the first department, call them again."

This has been going on for months, sometimes they will say, the information we have has been updated, but will take a month to show up, which never does. Nobody knows how to provide any kind of relevant customer service over the phone, even though somehow they are suppose to have all my confidential information. This has been going on for months. Very disappointing!!! If you have had a bad customer service experience in the past, you should try calling TransUnion customer service, because then you will know what worst customer service is like! I wish they didn't my personal information because they do not respect or value my information at all!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

As bad as Equifax or worse! I can't submit a dispute to stop reporting incorrect name because I guess, I am not a paid customer. TransUnion site refuses to load and just gives out errors or freezes. How can they provide a correct report if they can't even fix their site. They should not be trusted with our socials, addresses, or anything. I am angry and wish them nothing but shut down forever...

Original review: March 13, 2018 TransUnion occupies an important position in the country for everyone knows TransUnion and TransUnion is one of the 3 major and official credit reporting bureaus. However, TransUnion is not living up to its name nor it is honoring its position for TransUnion does not do the right thing when it comes to customers who are no one else but the citizens of this nation for TransUnion is already negligent, careless, uncaring and it is showing the threads of becoming corrupted.

I am just an example of those many that TransUnion has impacted because of its own faults and as it turns out TransUnion does not show me any portion of my credit file nor it gives any updates or alerts unless I pay its monthly subscription; those actions are unacceptable.

Meanwhile, TransUnion does play a major role in the decisions of creditors to reject me. However, TransUnion has an incomplete file about me since it only shows one employer listed and that employers name is misspelled. For a long time, TransUnion refused to give me a credit score but now that it supports the unethical Credit Torres Services- Suddenly a low credit score appears and that credit score is inaccurate because I do have positive credit lines in good standing that TransUnion has failed to list in my credit file because of its incompetence. I did tried to follow its dispute format but since I am not a paid subscriber - TransUnion refused to allow me to dispute. TransUnion unacceptable performance has been reinforced by its alliance with Torres Credit Services which has caused high rates of issues to the people and also by TransUnion acquisition of Factor Trust; both entities are fraudulent and corrupted.

Nowadays, there are all these emerging credit reporting bureaus aside from the 3 major credit reporting bureaus and it was not long ago that TransUnion was officially reprimanded and cited and although the people might not realize it- TransUnion does not hold supreme sovereignty anymore and those times when it was forbidden and unthinkable to question the great TransUnion; Those time are over- I do question the great TransUnion for it has wronged me. Therefore, I would be able to proceed if the time to hold TransUnion accountable comes. My advice for the people is to question TransUnion for that there are ways to make TransUnion to comply when TransUnion has wronged the people and it refused to correct its mistakes but I just cannot talk about them. Is it not wonderful? An entity who has the duties of guiding the people and show their transparency but instead that entity is working against the people.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I wish I had seen these reviews before I used TransUnion to check my credit report! Obtaining the credit report was straightforward. When it came time to "see my score" there was no indication of how much it would cost. I was expecting $9.99 or something thereof and "assumed" I would verify the charge before committing to the charges. The "fees" were never divulged. I became suspicious and found these reviews. I went back to the TransUnion page and tried to figure out how to cancel. It was tricky to say the least. A page would come up and quickly disappear. I had to hold the cursor over the link 5 times to snipe the link. These folks are complete SCAMMERS!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

As many others have already stated here, TransUnion is very sneaky. They are the worst of the 3 credit reporting agencies in my opinion. As others have mentioned, they purposely keep your score many points lower than the others with no valid reason. You call to ask why and cannot get a straight answer. They speak very poor English, difficult to understand, and read the same BS over and over from a script. They do not satisfactorily answer you, they go round in circles making you more and more frustrated. I asked to speak to his supervisor after he kept trying to sell me my FICO score instead of answering my question to my satisfaction.

I truly believe he put one of his co-worker buddies on the line - so unprofessional! Never did get a resolution, told him I was unhappy and was going to file a complaint online about them. So glad,I found this site to review their awful service on! After that encounter, my credit score suddenly dropped 4-5 points for no reason! They purposely try to keep your score under the 700 mark to keep you from reaching 'good' level, saying they use a different 'formula' than the other credit reporting agencies use. They manipulate scores and lives. Well all I can say is TransUnion you suck!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

TransUnion is very shady. I googled how to get a credit score for a tenant online as I am a landlord and filled in my information to see how it worked and never seen the fee and was never asked to confirm the fee and they immediately charged me 19.95 and signed me up for a monthly fee. Tried to call my credit card company to cancel the MasterCard but they told me TransUnion would just get the new card so they directly hooked me up with TransUnion to complain. I was able to cancel my subscription but they still charged me the 19.95. They don't care that it is a shady website as they have too much power over your credit.

This is a legalized scam and they just say the information was there on the website but it is done in a sneaky shady way so you cannot dispute it. Just fall victim to it and they make you feel like you did wrong. Usually before any website takes your credit card they ask you to confirm the price and do you accept, nothing like that took place, just a shady on the side scam that looks like an ad and you assume it is not part of your free credit score check. Told them they were shady but they don't care, they just take your money. My credit card company can't even help as they are above the credit card companies, untouchable.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Signed up for "free annual credit report", website was misleading and basically making you pay for a monthly subscription without being aware. I was charged $20 immediately on my card. I realized just on the next day, I tried to log back in to the website and it didn't work. I figured, okay fine I might have forgotten my pw. But as I was trying to reset it it kept saying "Unable to Continue. The information you entered could not be verified. Please try again." Neither options for resetting your password worked. This is complete bull crap. I am 200% sure of my security question and answer. Something smells fishy here, right? So then I called them to get it done. All of the three times I called they transferred me to a non-existent number 1800-508-2597.

This is a wrong number. I called back the TransUnion number angrily and explained my situation, they transferred me to that number and machine hung up on me again. Bull freaking **. So then I called the 4th time and changed my strategy this time, saying that I only need help resetting my pw. They, AGAIN, said they could only transfer me to that same, not working number. SCAM. ILLEGAL PRACTICES. SKETCHY AND SHADY. UNRELIABLE. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

The other Credit Monitoring services Experian and Equifax have me at a credit score of 738 and 768 while TransUnion is at 693 and a risk rating at 75! I've called them time and time again about an address in Branford, CT I never had and why are they TransUnion applying the lowest credit rating! And why am I such risk? TransUnion has cost me hundreds of dollars because of higher interest rating based on the TransUnion Rating! I would love to take them to court and sue them! It's just not fair!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I filed 4 disputes in 1/8/18. Today they changed it to 1/17/18. I have already filed a report with the FTC. And thank God I saved all of the information with the actual dates on it. This is really sickening. I have a tax lien that the IRS has withdrawn and the credit bureaus are required to completely remove it from my report. And now they do this. I will make sure they are held accountable for this.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

After the Equifax data breach last year, we rather quickly placed a credit freeze on my credit with all three credit bureaus. We also did the same for my wife's credit for Equifax and Experian with no difficulty. However, we were unable to do the same for her credit with TransUnion via the TransUnion website. The request "could not be fulfilled online at this time, based upon the data provided." After multiple attempts to freeze her credit, we decided to call the 888 number and place the freeze over the telephone. We were able to accomplish this, but the process was extremely frustrating. No disrespect to India or the Indian people, but the Indian gentleman we spoke with was very difficult for us to understand, and apparently the same was true for him. He asked us the same question multiple times and repeated himself multiple times. He did get the freeze put on the account eventually.

Reading from a prepared script, he told me that we would receive information confirming the freeze in 7-10 business days no less than three times. When he asked at the end of the call if there was anything he could help us with, I made the unfortunate mistake of saying yes. As we had been unable to secure a copy of my wife's TransUnion credit report online, I asked if we could have a copy of that sent by mail. He then asked me what my wife's name was, and my wife's Social Security number at least two more times each, as well as having me provide our mailing address again. He then asked to put me on hold. After a minute or so, he came back on the line and asked me what MY Social Security number was. I told him I was not asking for any service for myself, just my wife. He then said, "OK, is there anything else I can do for you?" Much the wiser at this point, I said there wasn't and thanked him for his assistance.

I would note here that the information we provided over the telephone was the EXACT SAME INFORMATION we had provided online on multiple occasions with no success. I must say also, that I am not particularly confident we will receive what we requested by mail in 7-10 business days. I decided it would be appropriate to send TransUnion an e-mail to their customer service department to relate my experience to them as unsatisfactory and to suggest they not have people in India (or in any other country) trying to help people in the United States with this type of important transaction.

After several minutes of searching, I realized that there was no avenue to provide this type of feedback to TransUnion via e-mail. Therefore, I must conclude that TransUnion has no real interest in receiving feedback from consumers. I cannot imagine ever wanting to purchase a product or service from them in the future (other than requesting they take the freeze off my credit, which will cost me another $7.50). TransUnion should be embarrassed that something that takes literally minutes online with Equifax and Experian cannot be accomplished with TransUnion without considerable aggravation.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I am getting ready to buy a house and wanted to check my report on TransUnion. I was under the impression they ran the same way as Experian where I can have free monthly monitoring and only have to pay for anything extra. Well it's not the same. I was charged $20 right away once I finished signing up. I immediately called TransUnion and had them cancel my account and refund my charge. During my whole sign up process it did not say anything about being charged money. She told me that I was supposed to select the 7 day free trial button... but there was no free trial button. I had to enter my card info for Experian too in case I wanted extras so I thought it was going to be the same.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My experience with TransUnion has been a horrible experience, I was trying to remove a Security Freeze so I could apply for medical assistance credit card and have had to cancel to appointments to TransUnion incompetence. Now I have to go elsewhere to purchase hearing aids. I could not understand them at all. Now I have to write and send proof of who I am.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

When you ask them to validate items on your credit report they send you something in writing saying it's been verified without any proof. They play around with your credit score and target certain individuals.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

TransUnion is fraudulently and continuously reporting an account on my credit report that is affecting my score, of an account that does not even exist! The company they are claiming is reporting it has no account with that number in their system yet they are saying it's mine.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This complaint is on behalf of my husband. We can never do anything for him having to do with TransUnion on the internet. We always have to call them or write to them. They will not let him request a credit report online. He could not freeze his credit online. He cannot unfreeze his credit online. They wanted him to verify his identity but even though all the answers were correct, they said they were wrong. When they don't have a previous address for you, you cannot possibly get that question right. The account numbers and mortgage numbers - that we were looking at - they said was wrong. In looking further - they said creditors scrambled the numbers - so how are we supposed to know what numbers the creditor gave them?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Unbelievable. I signed up with TransUnion several months ago in response to a report or notification about my personal information having been compromised in a data breach of some kind. It must have been the Equifax breach, in fact. I don't clearly recall what I signed up for with TransUnion, but do I know that, whatever I signed up for, it was supposed to be complimentary (free) owing to the circumstances surrounding my data having been potentially compromised. Evidently, I gave them a credit card number (as one sometimes does to create an account).

I just discovered that they've been charging me $21.70 (after tax) for several months. I called and had the membership canceled and the charges (inclusive of tax) reversed. The customer service representative seemed to have had prior experience with calls like mine. What an awful experience, and what a huge waste of time. Also, tip of the hat for the irony associated with having my credit card wrongly charged in connection with my asking for a credit report after I'd been told that my personal identifying information had been potentially compromised.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

After a few rough years I made an effort to fix my credit score, so I decided to do the responsible thing and check my score. With the inappropriate behavior from Equifax I decided to go with the other option. When in and read through my options, which is exactly one, I was left with the impression this was doing a month trial. However, it automatically signs you up for a recurring monthly subscription. Grew up on the internet and am privy to most of the scams, but I admit whoever programmed this is a marketing god.

So after feeling a 19.95x4 sting to the credit card, I decided to unsubscribe to their wonderful services. Went to the website and tried to stop my subscription but there is no way to do this via the same portal which I started it. You have to call in and ask. Their customer support agent was difficult and had difficulty with the baseline of communication. But after dealing with a full day of these requests, it’s hard to blame them for the bleak disposition. I was reminded that I made a mistake and I would have to pay for those mistakes. The behavior is predatory, they are targeting people that have poor credit and their website is built to be misleading.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Very curious to know when a company like TransUnion has the unilateral authority to close an account in good standing with a bank?! During a family vacation our credit card account was closed because of an "error" by TransUnion. After hours of phone calls they offered no explanation, help or even an apology. It is unbelievable and a situation our attorney will be certainly look into.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

After several calls to TransUnion and my Creditors; Transunion is still not reporting my monthly payments made to the creditors. This is on several accounts. Not just one. Transunion is manipulating credit scores. Something must be done about this. Transunion blames the creditors for not reporting but payments are posted to Experian and Equifax. Capital One even sent me a posting of when they reported to Transunion. If you're late on a payment it's ironic how fast they become then.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Within a 60 day period, with no changes in my behavior, TransUnion raise my score nearly 40 pts (based on laws that were put in placed) and then lower it by that same number of points. Clearly, Transunion, Equifax, and Experian are manipulating the scores. An end needs to be to this so-call scoring system.

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg