1.08/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

708 TransUnion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I notice a $19.95 charge on my bank statement. Knowing I had not signed up for anything, called my bank, said it was a fraudulent charge. They made me change my card & thought it was the end of that. But then a month later, to my shock...there was ANOTHER charge of $19.95. So, I called TransUnion, spoke to someone. He said there was nothing he could do... I said, "How is it you got my new info..." He said I gave it to them. The scary thing is...I never gave them any info to begin with. I had told him that & then I threaten that I will call my lawyer, the Better Business Bureau, the FBI, & the my bank. He then changed his tune, canceled my supposed subscription & said I should see the refund within 2 - 5 business days. I told him I had better see that refund, or there will be hell to pay!!! I immediately got a email saying my subscription has ended. NOW will keep a sharp eye out for that refund!! Trickery & deceitful. That is what TransUnion is ALL about!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Through annualcreditreport.com I requested my three credit reports. This is free once a year. This time I thought I would like to get my TransUnion credit score as well. Inadvertently unknowingly I was signed up for credit monitoring. It was $16.95 monthly. Unfortunately I didn't discover the monthly charges coming out until 5 months down the road. I called. Explained the situation. Requested a refund. They refused. After some insistence they said it was against their policy but they would give me one month refund. I suggested that they split it with me... It was five months I paid for, could they give me 2. They couldn't. Upon further questioning she informed me that I had earned another credit report update.

Since I realized I had paid roughly $85 and I was only being offered one month refunded and I had a product which I had earned online through my monthly payments then I would go online get the updated report and then cancel. Then I was informed that it was too late as it was already canceled. I feel like since I was misled into the credit monitoring I should have received a full refund. Since they were only offering a month refund I feel like I should have gotten something for what I did pay. I should have been informed that I had earned items of value that were waiting online for me to retrieve before she canceled the account. I asked for a supervisor who I actually thought would provide more assistance. Sonia however was less help, talked over me and frequently interrupted. I eventually just hung up a dissatisfied and ripped off customer.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was on my app, Credit Karma on December 28th. Today, Jan 5th, I notice a $19.95 charge on my bank statement. Knowing I had not signed up for anything, I called TransUnion, spoke to Sebastian. I explained that I must have inadvertently touched a wrong key while on CK, I requested a refund. He went on with a sales pitch and refused to refund my $. Apparently whatever key I touched, in error, signed me up for credit monitoring. They charge you one dollar & if you don’t cancel within 7 days, they sign you up. I was two days beyond this period when I noticed the charge on my bank statement. TWO DAYS beyond their “trial period”. What a joke! I will take this up with Credit Karma as well.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

There is NO shopping card saying that you saying that your service is actually $19.95 a month. All I thought I was clicking somewhere to file a dispute on my credit report and somehow I agreed to a monthly service of $19.95/month. Any company that uses trickery to scam money from its customers should be reported to the FEDS.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

"SmartMove will disclose the contents of a criminal and/or credit report retained by SmartMove to an individual who requests a copy of their report. To verify your identity and obtain a copy of your report(s) or dispute any information within that report, please contact customer service at 866-775-0961." This is what it says on their website. When I call they have me verify name, DOB, address, safety passcodes, spouse’s information and tell me that was their security process to tell me further instructions. That I have to write an email including personal information, copy of gov't ID, and that they will send back the copy in 1 to 30 days.

Meanwhile a very bossy person is speaking to me over the phone with an accent I have trouble understanding and loud laughing noises going on in the background. The whole time I am wondering how much of my personal information does this casual call center have access to? Also the website does not generate a receipt for the $40 application fee. You have to email them every single time to receive a receipt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

They give me a credit score of 655. Experian is 719. Equifax is 736. TransUnion is ripping people off on their credit scores. They need to be investigated for it. Have no clue why there is such a large difference in credit scoring.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

If you go to the TransUnion website, there is an offer to check your credit score. When you check it, you are "agreeing" to a monitoring service costing you $19.95 every month. They are not giving you a credit score, they are signing you up for their service. It's in tiny print at the bottom of the page that you are enrolling: the large colorful print that you actually read says you are requesting a credit score. Credit scores are free - this is a scam. We've spent all morning trying to no avail to get this refunded.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I pay TransUnion a fee every month so that I can monitor my credit information. For at least the last month I get an error: "We are temporarily unable to complete your request. Looks like we are experiencing a problem." Yeah... You have a problem! I called customer service and it was so frustrating... They kept asking the same questions, having me do the same things over and over. "Clear your cache/history", "Try a different browser", "Go to this menu." Nothing worked! It's getting scary!!! THIS IS OUR CREDIT HISTORY PEOPLE! Our SS and other information is on this site! Customer service has both my email and my phone number and I haven't heard from them since I called. BS. I see a class action lawsuit if my information is hacked. Plain and simple!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have been a member of TransUnion Credit Bureau for 3 months. The information, advice and customer service provided by TransUnion are most informative, helpful and allowed me to secure less expensive loans. Well worth the monthly fee. I recommend the service.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Just a super slimy company-- you enter your information online thinking that you're going to get a free credit check and buried in the page of fine print they hide the fact that they're going to charge you $19.95 monthly as soon as you click the button. No prices are listed anywhere obvious, and even if you call up right away they won't refund your card.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have tried many many times to get info on website since September 2018. Every time after putting in all info says experiencing problems always. Only way you can if you buy their product. Highway robbery.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I feel that Transunion is fraudulently charging me. I am unsure of what is going on but, each time I log in, I cannot access my information, site says having problems. Secondly, I am getting charged for a service that I am NOT receiving on a credit card that I do NOT have. Also, they claim that they have weekend customer service, NOT. I tried and cannot reach anyone. Can someone please tell me what is going on?! I seriously feel that this site is operating fraudulently.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

TransUnion gets away with the most illogical credit scoring system and it really needs to be reformed. Just checked credit karma - while my Equifax score remains the same, TransUnion score decreased 17 points because 5 credit balances DECREASED and one very old account was removed. Huh? Only in this country do you get a better credit score when you max out your credit and do not cancel credit accounts. It makes absolute no sense - it is all done by computers not humans and consumers have very little recourse. Time for reform!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I do not understand why TransUnion is the company that student loans and other governmental loan agencies use. The website is outdated and it takes forever for them to process inaccuracies. They seem to only want to sell their credit monitoring products.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I went to raise my credit card amount with the Tangerine website. I couldn't, so I called Tangerine and they say that I can't based on TransUnion statistics. So I called TransUnion and heard on their phone responder that there is an online way to do the things. Once on the website I registered but nowhere I saw any payment required. The only thing that could alarm me, was when the site ask me to enter my credit card. But this is a credit mark site, so I thought they need it to do further investigation. Once registered I found 11 years old outdated information which explain why I couldn't raise my credit card. After that I opened a ticket for the problem then I received the mail with the receipt of 19.95$. I immediately thought that this scam site may have a recurring payment. So I tried to canceled the account. But you can't do it their website... You must called them and wait on their line to cancel the account. They didn't want to refund me...

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was looking to get a free credit report and used Transunion's website, which is supposed to be an accredited trusted site. The site asks for your personal information then to verify the said information you're asked to enter your credit card number to verify who you are. Needless to say, I did. The first time I entered my cc information, I got "Could not be processed". I tried a different card. Which seemed to work, however, my credit report could not be found. Then, I receive a phone call from my bank, a half hour later, saying that Transunion tried to charge my account twice for the amount of $19.95. It appeared to them these were fraudulent charges and contacted me. With this information, thank you, Schwab, I had to contact my other CC company and dispute the fraudulent charge from Transunion. Which I found out they did charge my account and I am currently in the process of disputing.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Recently, my wife and I applied for a home improvement loan for a new fence in our backyard. After supplying the bank, Enerbank USA, with our information, they ran a credit check on both of us. Her credit was excellent but mine showed a score of 686 from TransUnion. I checked my credit score through Credit Karma and TransUnion showed my score as 770 and excellent along with an excellent rating from Equifax. I asked the rep from Enerbank U.S.A why TransUnion showed a lower score to the bank and a higher score to Credit Karma and the rep did not know why. I contacted TransUnion and was connected to this guy in a foreign country who could barely speak English. I could barely understand him and I'm sure he could barely understand me. He was obviously reading from a pre-printed script.

The reason for my low score, apparently, was that my adult son had a student loan through AES/SunTrust which I co-signed for many years ago. My son filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy earlier this year. Any and all loans that he had taken out with me as the co-signer were part of the filing. That took me out of the loop and all the other loans were removed from my credit report except this one. Either AES/SunTrust failed to notify TransUnion about the bankruptcy filed by my son or TransUnion just didn't bother to remove it from my credit report. Either way, I now can't get a $3,000 home improvement loan because of this mark on my credit. They claimed that I would receive a reply within 5 to 7 days. It is now 8 days and so far nothing. I am livid the way I am being treated by TransUnion. The next step will be contacting my attorney and let them deal with him.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I searched online for TransUnion free credit report. I was directed to a website where I entered information and had to enter a credit card for identification. I was not aware that this website was actually for credit monitoring with a charge of $19.95 per month. After I reviewed my "free" credit report, I checked my e-mail and found that I had received an e-mail with an order number and indication that I would be charged $19.95 per month. I contacted TransUnion and spoke with someone whose primary language was not English and was told that this e-mail was simply an offer to sign up for credit monitoring, that I had not been charged.

I checked my credit card website and found that I was indeed charged. I went on-line to TransUnion and cancelled the monitoring service and it indicated that I would still have use of the service until the end of the month. I again called TransUnion and spoke with an arrogant young man who again English was not the primary language. He was very nasty and told me that I did sign up for the monitoring and that they would not credit me. He refused to let me talk to a supervisor or manager despite numerous requests from me. He finally agreed to refund the $19.95 but assured me that this was a one-time occurrence and that in the future I would have to pay it. Needless to say, this has left me very dissatisfied with TransUnion.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Aside from the $21.00 recurring charge they make no mention of until you wake up one morning and check your bank account and there is money stolen by this "company", I honestly have nothing good to say! I initially used this "company" or whatever you can call it to check my scores so that I could apply for a car loan. The scores I was given were completely inaccurate! I went to the dealership and spoke to the rep there at which point he asked me where I got my numbers and I told him.

My actual scores were way lower than what TransUnion told me, leading me to believe that they dropped my score. I called to have my (subscription) cancelled and the little girl who answered the call was very rude and didn't seem to understand what I was telling her. I tried back with another little girl and she was just as bad and when I asked to speak to her supervisor she dropped the dumb act and told me that her supervisor was in the United States...so where is their office??? I could get a straight answer on that either. This "company" is so shady! I do not urge anyone to use them for any reason whatsoever! Hopefully I receive my refund so that I don't have to keep going on this nonsense.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I login into the TransUnion site off the US Bank site and it show that my report was last updated 9/14/18. It also states that the next report will be available 8/13/2038. 20 years later? This is BS. Last month I complained when they stated a report "as of date" with a new update two months before the last update. We are suppose to trust accurate reporting by this company? I complained to US Bank also and they are checking it out. Why is US Bank endorsing this service to their customers via a link on their customer online account page when it gives bad info. Credit reports and info needs to be correct. This company, TransUnion is not a good choice for anyone.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Their online dispute site is a joke. I filed a dispute to get my brothers information off my credit. It wasn't anything bad, it's just doesn't belong to me. My wife even has this problem as one of her sister's stuff is on her record and it's bad. The common factor with our issues are our names and social security numbers are similar to our siblings. I don't understand why TransUnion is the only one of the credit reports that is doing this. Do they have monkeys processing their data?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Every time I go to log in on the website it continuously loops to try to sell me something and then when I get to the credit freeze when I will after I have to log out and go to a different website same company it will not accept my login. The only way you could freeze your credit or deal with it is to buy their product for $20 per month on the website if not you have to call. The only reason I gave it one star is because there is no 0 stars.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I filed a dispute with TransUnion on 08/04/2018 & everything I find online says disputes are usually finished within 30-45 days. We are going into a month and a half now with this dispute. I filed with Experian and Equifax as well and those disputes are already finished. What is taking so long? I am trying to buy a house currently, & this is holding me up big time! Please TransUnion, work on getting your dispute files done! From a concerned consumer.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Tried to place a credit freeze on account through Transunion.com/credit-freeze. Impossible, finally told a problem and directed to (866) 744-8221. Was told that website no longer good even though still showing up. Directed to Service... Could not understand operator and unable to activate website. Googled and TransUnion customer support said call 888-909-8872. After a machine took all my info I was transferred to a busy line and disconnected.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

So I have been checking my Credit Scores both on a hard copy TransUnion sent to me thru the mail and on Credit Karma. I noticed recently that an old debt had fallen off Equifax but not TransUnion. My concern though is I have a very small loan out with my bank and they have not update my payment I made from August but Equifax and Experian has. When I called to report that this was incorrect, the Supervisor who I could tell was making stuff up and repeating what I was saying really did not know what he was talking about. My bank reports to the Credit Bureau my payments between the 31st and the 10th of the following month. There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON why TU should not have already updated by balance and payment history to reflect correctly! Unfortunately we are stuck with this crappy business but I wish they would get their act together. You are playing with people's credit here and frankly this is causing us a lot of problems!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have Excellent score with the other 2 companies but TransUnion has me at 720, "Good". They refuse to give the required free report when I called but sent me to another website which then sent me back to the credit card input section so they could charge me monthly. I have credit monitoring through AAA and will be calling for help tomorrow. What a racket! Why are they a credit reporting company and they are not accredited? Makes no sense.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have been monitoring my credit scores with the different companies including TransUnion for about 5 years. During that time I noticed that TransUnion treats the same credit activity much differently, more negatively than the other reporting companies. For example, if my debit balance increased by $300 they will reduce my score by 9 points while the other companies only 2 points. Recently, I paid off a $25,000 loan but TransUnion only increased my score by 1 point. I have consistently maintained an excellent rating with the other companies but TransUnion will not give me an excellent rating no matter what I do. They only look to lower your score by some completely arbitrary method of scoring.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

So my credit score was 686 and it took me an awful long time to get to there, then I checked my credit score on 9/4 and it dropped 41 points. Nothing has changed, I pay everything on time. I am planning on buying a house very soon and that's really going to hurt my interest. I want it fixed! TransUnion is a joke, my FICO score is 707, now wth?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I specifically went to the TransUnion website to order all credit scores and reports, as advertised for $29.95, for TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian. I clicked on "Complete Your Credit Picture". It took days for them to bill my card, and they only gave me TransUnion info, and billed me $21.95 instead. How would I even order only the TransUnion info if I clicked on the 3-Bureau Credit Report & Scores? There's something wrong with their webpage or User Interface.

I argued with their customer support, but their representatives are not too bright. I can tell I know more about computers and the interwebs than they do. But it still doesn't address the problem of why it took that long for TransUnion to clear from Pending on my bank's account history, when this does not happen for any other purchases, and why they billed me for something completely different, something I didn't even click on, something that I saw no option to click on, given the route I took on their webpage. Also, they have no accurate history of me, which made using TransUnion pointless to begin with. In my situation, I was better off trying the other 2 Bureaus and ignoring TransUnion.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Why can't these companies use US based customer service? So many people need their assistance, and they hire overseas representatives who don't speak English well, and you can't understand a word they're saying. Is so frustrating to have to deal with them.

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg