3.5/5 (590 ratings)

About TransUnion

TransUnion is one of the three national credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and Experian. Lenders, landlords, employers and other companies may pull credit reports from one or more of these bureaus. You can request a free copy of your TransUnion credit report once per year, or you can purchase credit monitoring for daily updates on your score and credit activity. This company also provides educational resources, consumer assistance services and other helpful tools for people looking to take control of their credit.

Pros

• Credit monitoring services
  • Credit offers
  • Free annual credit score

Cons

• May differ from other bureaus
  • Monthly cost for monitoring

Bottom Line

TransUnion is a credit agency that provides credit scores and reports to consumers. It also offers credit monitoring services, identity theft protection and credit offers from third-party lenders.

What is a TransUnion credit score?

TransUnion maintains a database of consumer information and assigns people credit scores based on those details. Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), you can request your credit report for free on Transunion’s website once per year. If you prefer real-time updates, you can sign up for its credit monitoring services that provide daily credit score updates, credit recommendations and online credit locks.

In addition to monitoring services, TransUnion offers free identity theft protection, financial calculators and credit offers. Its consumer assistance team can help with credit needs like disputed items, credit freezes, fraud alerts and assistance for active-duty military personnel. Consumers can also browse TransUnion’s credit education section to learn more about topics like debt, credit bureaus, mortgages and more.

Cost of TransUnion credit report

TransUnion’s credit monitoring services cost $24.95 per month and include daily credit updates, recommendations, credit locks, monthly tips and more. All consumers are entitled to one free credit report per year, and you can request this report online.

Transunion also provides free disputes on inquiries, credit score drops, personal information and incorrect accounts. It offers free identity theft protection through TrueIdentity and does not require a credit card to sign up. For pricing on TransUnion business services, contact one of its client support specialists.

TransUnion FAQ

What is a good TransUnion credit score?
A good TransUnion score ranges from 700 to 850. However, you can still qualify for lending opportunities and pass other credit checks with a score lower than 700.
What is your TransUnion credit score used for?
TransUnion credit scores are used to confirm your creditworthiness when you’re borrowing money, interviewing for certain jobs or applying for rental properties. You can request a copy of your credit report to see what creditors and others see when they check your credit.
What does TransUnion do?
TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus that compile data to create a credit score for each consumer. It lets you see your credit report for free once per year or with a subscription to its credit monitoring service.
What banks use TransUnion?
Many banks and lenders check all three credit bureaus, but this will vary from bank to bank. To confirm which agency your bank uses, check its website.
What lenders use TransUnion?
Most lenders check all three credit bureaus, but some have their own proprietary system for evaluating consumer credit. Check with your lender for more information on which agencies it uses.

Is TransUnion legit?

TransUnion is one of the three major credit bureaus, and it has a strong reputation for providing reliable, consistent credit scores. It offers credit monitoring services, fraud alerts, identity theft protection and other useful services to help consumers maximize their credit. By working on their TransUnion score, people can improve their credit standing with lenders, employers, landlords and more.

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

I’ve been paying monthly TransUnion and they are unable to pull my report and transfer me to several agent who asked the same security questions without being able to helping us. Very bad service, they have recurrent payment model but they will not give you the report.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

The banks are reporting that I've never been late - ON ANYTHING. Transunion is taking that information and putting delinquencies on my credit report. Then, if I finally manage to get through to customer service (who sound like they're usually on vacation in far, far away lands), they sound like a broken record that wants to open dispute after dispute. The disputes get us nowhere - I wish they would understand that. One of these banks reported the same account twice (two late payments when there was never a single one), but instead of Transunion identifying and fixing the mistake, they offer the dispute option. When asked to explain to me how I could have late payments when I've been on time my entire life, they offer the dispute option.

The idea that this company is single-handedly halting all progression in applying for a mortgage or doing anything else credit-related is absolutely infuriating. Why have Experian and Equifax seemed to have figured it out? I called Experian and got a trustworthy, empathetic customer service agent where I could understand every word. Talking on the phone w/ Transunion is the biggest worthless uphill battle that I could ever imagine. Someone really needs to step in and do something about this bureau, it's negatively affecting the lives of very credit-worthy people like myself. Instead of just offering the run-around, why don't they try for actual solutions? Unreal.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I am exhausted by the fluctuation in my report by this company and believe their process needs desperately an update. I have worked feverishly to better my circumstances for since my divorce yet any move I make, Transunion, breaks my character by plummeting my score perpetually. All the other credit bureau observe and credit my good behaviors yet this almost guaranteed understaffed and underpaid establishment is in control of a share in my creditworthiness and is not accurate. Pisses me off and it's not fair.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

A 100 point drop in my credit score because I sold my house and closed a credit card. They aren’t consistent with the other two reporting agencies and they are no help when you call. Escalated call to supervisor and got nowhere.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Transunion's website promises a free credit report. The ONLY sign up options are paid accounts. They deliberately obscure any way to sign up for a free account. When you click the link for a free credit report, it goes to a different website, **. This promises reports from all 3 agencies. That form never works, so then it directs you to ** and this phone number 888-EQUIFAX. Obviously Equifax. When you call that number, they have no idea what you're talking about, and cannot help you with the 3 reports you were promised on the previous page. And no one at Transunion seems aware of what is going on, or cares.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

We wanted to get our credit unfrozen. (Someone stole our social security numbers). We spent hours trying to get the task done. You get hung up on when you have waited for 15 minutes, or have been trying to talk to an agent for 15 minutes. The staff is rude and lies. This is likely due to the fact that they are not allowing enough time to fix the problem that you are calling about. In the end I could not have fixed the problem without help. They asked me if I wanted to refreeze my credit again. I said no. It was easier to deal with the stolen social security numbers. We are forced to use this company and you are treated like a criminal.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

I just spoke with Kimberly at TransUnion and had a very frustrating experience. We are applying for a new mortgage and every single point on our credit score is extremely important. My credit report has some derogatory information that is not true. When I attempted to correct the information I was told by Kimberly that "they are not credit experts". Well no kidding! You cannot make up this level of broken don't give a **. And Kimberly was not able to tell me what makes up my credit rating and why there are derogatory marks. She did succeed in making me very upset. What a waste. All of us are being treated the exact same way by someone purportedly 'in charge' and have enormous impact on our financial health.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

This company is horrible!!! As most government businesses are! Applied for one loan and my score goes down by 30 points?!?? But Barely inches up when you do everything right!!! What an unfair system! I pay all my bills on time, nothing in collections, but apply for one little thing and you’re back to square one!! So frickin angry! One more thing the government is doing to make sure you can’t get ahead!! We need a real legit company to help us little non-rich people!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

I don't know what it is or why TransUnion has done this in the past few months considering they were always the company who seemed to have updated information first.. Now they just drop your score by 30 to 50pts and they don't update your new payments made on purpose to make life more difficult on people.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Paid monthly premium, showed score of almost 50 points less of another company, tried several times to update, would freeze. Finally after trying several days, finally updated only 14 points. I don't trust this company.

TransUnion Company Information