3.15/5

745 TransUnion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2019

As many others have stated, they misleadingly charged me 25/mo. for "membership". They asked for my credit card number, which I thought was strange, but it is a CREDIT monitoring service after all- so asking for a credit card number isn't that unreasonable. I looked for anything in the body of the page stating that I would be charged, but there was no sign in the body. It turns out it was in the right window (where adds are 100% of the time) and even there it looked like an advertisement to upgrade to paid version, nothing that stated that pressing submit would charge you. I reluctantly submitted to go to "step 2", assuming that I would then be brought to a page with a "cart" or similar if I were being charged, which would summarize my purchase. Instead it just charged my account. The "step 2" doesn't exist in reality. No receipt or confirmation that I paid.

I called immediately and asked them to cancel it. They said absolutely not. That is a scam. They intentionally mislead. I have gotten absolutely no benefit from it. I have no more access to useful information than I had when I just had a basic username/password and hadn't paid. That is incredibly misleading and unethical, ESPECIALLY for a credit monitoring company. AVOID AT ALL COST, I would not do business with a company that appears to be helping you avoid fraud but in reality has it's own fraudulent practices. A good company, with a service worth paying for doesn't need to hide that they are charging you for a service. I have reported this to them, and it is clear that they are aware that it is intentionally misleading, but do not care.

I have included a photo so hopefully you will not fall victim to this also, please be mindful that I have told you where to look, so it may seem obvious to you. But I am telling you, from a psychological standpoint, putting it in "advertising" space with advertising theme makes the unknowing victim easily block that out. I have spoken with many and even had my husband and mom look at the page and asked them if I would get charged from that page. They both said no and said I must have done something on the next page, then when I pointed it out they were like "OH WOW! that's a scam". Do not fall for this scam. They will not reverse it, even if you call within minutes. I can guarantee you will get no benefit from it from a credit monitoring perspective. I use Credit Karma and love it! My vote would be CREDIT KARMA all the way. It is very informative, free and honest. Credit Karma will try to advertise Credit Cards, but it's harmless.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Feb 2019 I checked my credit cards and my credit score. Somehow I got signed up for a 'monitoring service' at $19.95. I didn't need a monitoring service unless it was offered free because TransUnion was hacked and my data was stolen. May 2019 I just learned about this monthly charge to my credit card. TransUnion never notified me when they charged or even notified me that I had this 'Monitoring service". I never received any reports. Bottom line: Be very careful when you are online with TransUnion. The website can be misleading and TransUnion will hide the $19.95 per month fee. They send no emails and no reports. You have to go online to see the report which the customer does not know to do because the customer does not know about the "Service".

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I had looked for anything that would say they were going to charge for my credit score. I checked, and thought it was a bit weird they wanted my credit card info but they said it was to better identify who I was. I checked my bank account shortly after and saw they had charged me 28.00 for a credit score? Nevermind the fact they wanted to charge an additional 30.00 to build some profile, or whatever. I live on a very, very tight budget and this has really screwed me. This is horrible business practice. Only scammers tuck these details away.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I saw the TransUnion advertisement says free credit score report. Then I created an account, and the TransUnion charged me $24.95 automatically! The bill information is not clear and hard to notice. This is a fake advertisement and misleading and cheating on customers!

Original review: April 29, 2019

Totally useless. Tried to have something removed that's been on my credit report for over 7 years. It's bad enough that when you call you go to India but they have their own set of rules that they go by and not the ones here in the US.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: April 26, 2019

TransUnion is the most worthless credit reporting agency there is. How is it that both Experian and Equifax contain the most up-to-date and accurate information, yet TransUnion is full of errors, and has a terrible score compared to the other two? In attempting to dispute with TransUnion, their website for disputes never works, which leaves calling a number that gives someone who can barely speak English. I have also sent in certified mail disputes, and even they take nearly the entire 30 days to clear, when the other two CRAs can clear a dispute usually inside 48 hours and update my credit report. They have a shady sales practice, one of my phone calls offered me a free month with their service, yet it never activated and when I asked, I was told they would never provide such an offer. Luckily I never actually paid them for anything, and I never will! They need to be shut down as a CRA or at least heavily investigated and fined.

Original review: April 22, 2019

BEWARE! Do not use this site to check your credit score. To get your "free" credit check there is a charge for a monthly "credit protection" that is not explicit in the site as you're filling in the many forms, but shows up as an automatic withdrawal on your credit card.

Original review: April 17, 2019

They would sign you up for their paid service without explicitly asking you. I found that out only after they charged $24.95 on my credit card. Definitely, it must be somewhere in their fine print, so they should be fine legally. However, based on the reviews here, it looks like these scammers make good money just by imposing the service people don't actually use.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I should read the reviews on here before opening a new account with TransUnion. Highly recommended! These guys are scammers and try to get money, $19.95 for a new account and information you can get for free from your bank. They also post links with a special promotion of 50% or $9.95 which literally doesn't work and they still will charge you a full amount ($19.95). They should give their clients a free trial or offer a free cancelation.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had always been told I could get one free score from each of the FICO bureaus each year. Maybe I've been mislead, but if I hadn't been mislead with that information, I was certainly mislead when I attempted to check my score with TransUnion. They asked for my credit card info, which I thought maybe they would charge me under $5 or so like Experian does. Nope. I didn't find out I had paid them $24.99 for a monthly credit monitoring subscription. I had never even clicked to sign up for monitoring service. I clicked their giant orange button on their homepage that said "check my credit score."

I cancelled my subscription immediately, hoping I would be refunded, but no. I would dispute it with my credit card company if I didn't feel like such an idiot for not coming here and checking these reviews first. I also thought that since I had already purchased their subscription that I might as well attempt to get my scores from the other two bureaus as well, but it asked for more credit card information and my trust has already been broken when they ask me for my card info.

It didn't help that they gave me the same exact score that my credit card company gave me because guess what? My free credit score from my credit card is powered by none other than TransUnion. I have so many other things I could do with $24.99, but I had to give it away to some swindlers who will give me less information than the free credit report info I get from my credit card company. The whole experience was extremely disgusting and predatory.

Original review: April 7, 2019

This so called accurate credit score that these idiots have is so inaccurate. When Disputing it takes over two years and they never come back to you. How can they still be operating? Pathetic. Unresponsive.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I had a vehicle loan with a local credit union and a direct deposit so was never late with a payment. I had a balance of $401 which I paid off, within 2 days, my credit score was reduced 29 points and the reason was because I paid off my loan, (if anything, I would have thought that would be a positive on my score) and by the way another comparable reporting agency lowered my score 27 points. I contacted my credit union and they couldn't understand why and told me to contact the dispute branch of TransUnion.

I called them and was connected to a gentleman who spoke broken English and was difficult understanding him. I explained my situation to him and all he told me repeatedly 6 reasons why my credit score was lowered, one was closing my acct. I think this practice should be illegal, it appears to me that these reporting agencies are encouraging individuals to keep in debt instead of striving to be debt free. Someone should investigate this procedure.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I would like to start by saying that I was only interested in checking my credit for free. I checked my credit score through TransUnion yesterday and received an email notification that I had started a recurring membership of $24.95 without my knowledge. I think it is only fair that TransUnion make it absolutely clear to the user that it intends to enroll the user in a recurring monthly membership. I am all for the idea of capitalism and charging someone for a service, however I found TransUnion's methods of automatic enrollment very shady and misleading.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I would give 0 stars if available. TRANSUNION does not stand behind their product. I signed up for their service about one hour ago and after trying to file a dispute of an incorrect item on my credit report was having a lot of issues. I phoned to say I was unhappy with the product because it is not user friendly. The representative informed me the monthly fee of $24.95 is nonrefundable. A COMPANY THAT STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT WOULD OFFER A REFUND. I only signed up an hour earlier today. It is not like I had the service for 29 days and decided to cancel on day 30.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I thought that I was getting a free FICO and that they would hit my CC for $1. It's a monthly service. I did see my FICO, which I can access at Discover, PNC Bank, etc., for free. When I called, I got the run around and no refund of my $26.61(I cancelled the account within 5 minutes). Let me see if I can get my money's worth by complaining to their agents and managers.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had an offer for one dollar to check my credit. Without thinking I gave our credit card number, the consequences are such that TransUnion gets a 19.95 account each month without my request or approval, I believe legal fraud and lesson for other TransUnion is a next legitimate form of fraud.

Original review: March 20, 2019

This is fraud! They never asked me that they will be charging me for this service and they had access to my credit cards and accounts. They were taking money out of my accounts for a couple of months now. I never check into my transactions on my statements so I never knew that they are doing this to me! This is crazy and a true fraud! Do not trust them!

Original review: March 11, 2019

So I've been arguing back and forth with TransUnion for about three years now regarding my identity and I'm confused, frustrated, and quite frankly annoyed at this point. I have provided the last 10 years worth of previous and current addresses, banking information, creditor information along with sending in letters front and back of my photo ID to remove the fraud alert I put onto my account years ago. All to obtain a copy of my consumer disclosure and oh my lord this has gotten out of hand. First of all... and this is a MAJOR issue here, when we call in and select option 1 for ENGLISH we expect (being a Canadian Citizen) to get someone who can speak ENGLISH. Had I wanted to speak to someone from India, I would have selected the option to speak with someone from India.

Secondly I called 1(800)508-2597 and chose option one for ENGLISH, then option one again to speak with someone and instead of solving my issue they told me to call 1(800)663-9980 and to no surprise was told to call the other number back again because "we cannot give you what you are asking for here.” Finally I just got totally rude and yelled my way through getting what I originally called for in the first place and look at that! They're sending me my FREE Consumer Disclosure copy to my current mailing address now and I will receive it within the next 3-5 Business Days. Thanks to "Daisy" Employee ID: **. For someone who didn't speak a lick of ENGLISH, at least she is able to send me what I’m asking for. But I mean guys... why did it take three freaking years for you to FINALLY figure it out and send me that? Not to just wait and see if I actually get it by Monday.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I currently have 2 pending charges from TransUnion for a FREE credit score that I requested. The website is not user friendly or CLEAR! about what I was being charged for and was full of ads wanting me to sign up for their membership program. When I called to inquire about these charges the guy was very dismissive and could care less and gave me some garbage excuse that there were two charges but only one would actually go through. If better only be one charge!!! I was somehow signed up for a membership without my knowledge of doing so. Well I have cancelled that but I'm still out almost 30 bucks. So pissed!

Original review: March 8, 2019

One of my credit cards was compromised so I was advised to check in with TransUnion and Equifax. I sent Equifax the form along with two pieces of photocopied identification and heard from them within two weeks. TransUnion did not respond and after a month I phoned them to find out what was going on. First they told me to do it online, but how does that deal with verifying your identification? He put me on hold and when he came back asked questions. After he got some information from me he said the computer generated some questions for me to answer.

They seemed to be stores that I hadn't worked at so I wondered out loud why he couldn't access my file so he could send me a paper copy that I can correct. I had no intention of correcting over the phone. This conversation ended, but not well. I felt scammed since I gave them confidential information and they were asking irrelevant questions, as if they were fishing. After, I wondered who I had been talking to -- someone in Canada or someone in India. I saw a TV program about scams originating in India on Canadians. Now I'm even more worried.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Had a very nasty experience. I am a victim of credit card fraud/identity theft. Someone opened accounts with 5 different banking institutions and took out huge loans, all of which I was completely unaware. Went through going to the police, filing a report, providing the report number to all the institutions, letting them do their investigations and then rescinding the negative report from my credit score with Transunion and Equifax. Equifax wasn't really a problem. Transunion on the other hand is a nightmare to deal with. You call them and ask for a credit score, they tell you have to go online and register on their website. I used my credit card to sign up as there is a charge and it asks for my social insurance number. After getting past this it asks you some security questions. The problem is one of the questions asks which banking institution I have a loan with, and looking at the answers I never even heard of these banks before.

I call the support line and they tell me I have to get a credit report which takes a month and the 2 ways to do it is send in a fax or mail in writing to some place on Harvester Road. The problem is I already have a recent copy of this report. I'm spinning in circles with these idiots. Once my situation is sorted I hope to never have to deal with Transunion unless I absolutely have to. They can't even get their security/verification questions right, and since I already provided all my personal info including credit card #, SIN #, DOB, they tell me I need to fax or mailing for another credit history report which doesn't contain my credit score. Transunion = VERY FRUSTRATING PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My credit card payment history was perfect. Still my credit card application was denied, and I wanted to know about my free credit report. They are very SNEAKY AND SECRETIVE. I signed up for an account on TransUnion's website primarily for the purpose of disputing some inaccurate information on my credit report. After doing this, I browsed around the credit monitoring section of the site, where they give some limited information for free. Somewhere in the sign-up page there must have been a secret box somewhere on the screen I didn't see that said "I want to be charged $20 a month for no reason" that I needed to untick because I was charged $20 per month without realising it.

The system opened two accounts on (me) the same person and charged $20.00 without even recognizing that this is the same person. A representative said that a client could start as many accounts as they wanted. Is the number of accounts going to change the credit history? They don’t even have the common sense. The company is very sneaky and secretive. They do not have any customer service etiquette.

My login for TransUnion didn't work so I created a new account, there was a field to enter credit card info (red flag) and I thought that would be in the case that I wanted to purchase something in the future. Immediately got an email in my inbox about my "order details" and showed a credit card charge of $19.95. This was not my intent when I created my account, and they did not make it clear that you were purchasing something upon account creation. The company is very dishonest and unreliable. They do not even have any accountability either.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Non-sense/false records on my history and very slow dispute process. I had a false record in my history and took them two weeks to call the court and another week to remove it. It seems like they were trying to stretch it out and maybe if they were not forced by the law to complete the process within 30...they would have took months to do a simple process.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I signed up for an account on TransUnion's website primarily for the purpose of disputing some inaccurate information on my credit report. After doing this, I browsed around the credit monitoring section of the site, where they give some limited information for free and urge you to pay a monthly subscription for their enhanced credit monitoring. I decided this was not a product I wanted, and so left the site and decided to check back later for an updated status on my dispute.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I notice a charge from TransUnion on my credit card statement. Unbeknownst to me and without my permission, TransUnion has signed me up for their credit monitoring service and charged my card. This is incredibly dishonest behavior, and even if their service had some value to me I would first go to a competitor in a heartbeat.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I needed a credit report in order to rent my place, so I signed up with Transunion for a free credit report. Somewhere in the sign up page there must have been a secret box somewhere on the screen I didn't see that said "I want to be charged $20 a month for no reason" that I needed to untick because I was charged $20 per month without realising it for 6 months. I imagine they hired a web designer who put "good at tricking people" on his resume to make their sign up page. Needless to say I decided to close my account with them, but there was no way to do it online. I'm serious, search "close TransUnion account" and you'll find an arms race of video tutorials on closing your account and more and more arcane account closing procedures to counter the videos.

Basically every year since 2013 they've redesigned their UI by removing the 'close account' option and hiding it under some new and irrelevant tab. It looks like they removed it entirely after their widely publicised data breach. You have to call them during their business hours, wait a half hour on hold, and then go through the lengthy and intrusive process of closing your account while they try to datamine you even further. This company's business model seems to be to trick you into signing up for their valueless credit monitoring, and then silently charge you for their non-service. It's essentially a criminal organisation. There's not much difference between this company and just straight credit card fraud.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Horrible & inaccurate. All calls go to Middle East! Not giving my Soc Number to anyone outside of the USA. TransUnion is always 100 points lower than the other reporting agencies. Should be shut down.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

TransUnion credit reporting is neither factual or fair to the customer they are reporting on themselves... I have disputed an item that is not mine that was put in collections by AR Resources in 2017. They have no information (evidence) stating it's my bill or my signature but they are tell TransUnion because my address and social security number match it is mine and is accurate. However, TransUnion will NOT take down and will not go after "said" proof from the creditor, whom they work with daily, take for face value.

After 8 months disputing this file, I spoke with a Special handling Department supervisor, Omayra, in Chester, PA and found out it's on the consumer UNLESS you wish to purchase their credit monitoring service for $24.99 per month! Another scam corporation at the forefront of our society! They choose to give "corporate speak" having the consumer do their work, yet post inaccuracies on their reporting site without any harm to them whatsoever!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I went through annualcreditreport.com and chose TransUnion from a list of 3 options to obtain my report, which should be free if you get it once a year. It might *technically* be "free" because it's included as part of a credit monitoring service membership, but that membership costs $24.95 a month. This was NOT clear. When they ask for your credit card information, they even explicitly say that it's for identity confirmation purposes. This is even stated on their FAQ page (link below). Nothing about registering for a membership. Even after I gave my card information, I didn't receive any purchase confirmation page or email. There was absolutely no indication that I bought something.

Thankfully I caught it on my bank statement only after being charged for one month. I called and requested a refund, explaining that I was told my credit card was to only be used for identity confirmation, nothing else. I was offered a one month refund, which fortunately is all that I was charged. If I had caught this several months down the line, I don't know that they would've refunded all of the months or just one. Hopefully this refund goes through without issue; I only just got off the phone with them. We'll see. Very sneaky and disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Was trying to freeze my credit file online when I apparently answered one of the verification questions wrong. Well the only way it could have been wrong is if they have it wrong. Went through the same process with the phone number they gave me to talk with a live person with the same results. Now I can't get online access to my account at all. These people are the worse.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I tried logging on to all credit reporting agencies to see if my credit was still frozen after identity theft 8 months ago. My login for TransUnion didn't work so I created a new account, there was a field to enter credit card info (red flag) and I thought that would be in the case that I wanted to purchase something in the future. Immediately got an email in my inbox about my "order details" and showed a credit card charge of $19.95. This was not my intent when I created my account, and they did not make it clear that you were purchasing something upon account creation. SO SKETCHY and DECEPTIVE!

I called immediately to say the "order" was an error and asked for a refund/cancellation of erroneous membership. The person on the phone said they could only cancel but couldn't refund since they already generated a credit report for me. After going back and forth with him a few times, in disbelief at his unwillingness to refund, (knowing that any decent company would understand an error and refund), I finally asked if there was someone else I could speak to. Then the tone changed and he said I would get a refund in x amount of business days. I will be watching my account to make sure I get refunded. I do not trust them and will never log on again! BEWARE!

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg