TransUnion

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First, I live in the U.S. and would like to speak with a representative in the U.S. (NOT THE PHILIPPINES; THESE PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH). Shame on you, TransUnion for outsourcing American jobs. Secondly, I have spoken and written these people numerous times about a Federal Tax Lien that appears on my bureau. The lien was reported "after" the fact. I mailed the release from the court. The court will not provide any other documents other than the release indicating the debt was satisfied. It's been 8 years and now I'm being told it will remain on file until 2019. These people are ruthless. The lien does not appear on Equifax or Experian (just TU). I explained this, but they really don't give a crap. I had a membership where I was paying a monthly fee of $19.95. Cancelled the membership. TransUnion can kiss my butt. I have the power to remove the negative item, but refuse to do so. I HATE YOU, TRANSUNION.

I have paid 100% debt every month. I have never owed even one cent. How come I am controlled & evaluated by this stupid company. WHAT THE PROBLEM'S if I spend more on the card, and I owe high amount, but I have ability to pay back 100%. Please use your small brain, think about it and try to make sense.

Transunion is reporting COMPLETELY INACCURATE INFORMATION on me... My credit cards are almost paid off in full as a result of my working tirelessly to do so. And yet they are reporting information from months and even YEARS ago. I am going public with this today. I am a known artist and very influential person. Just google me. Transunion is breaking fair credit laws as well as audacity laws. And they are damaging me. Their scripted and rude, outsourced phone representatives are ineffectual. I have spoken to the top class action attorney in the country, and not only do I have a STRONG CASE, but apparently there are THOUSANDS of consumers experiencing the SAME ISSUES. They are literally destroying lives.

My bank suggested I check my credit score on TransUnion. I had trouble on website so I called customer service. This was a complete waste of 30 minutes! I was bounced back and forth between two people. All they said is "I can't help you. Let me transfer you to someone else". Which in turn said the same thing and transferred me back! I ended up getting my credit score from some other website! Save yourself the aggravation and use another website!!!

Unlike the other 2 credit report agencies, Transunion "can't verify" my personal information. I spent over an hour on the automated phone line to request my credit report, but they "can't verify" my information. They gave me a PO box in Atlanta that I should send a written request to. I sent that request THREE TIMES, with no response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

I removed a freeze from my credit report and it was to be done in 48 hours maximum. That time has long passed and I can't get a live person on the phone to even discuss. No one has a supervisor or a name they are actually willing to give. I've been disconnected and on hold for about 4 hours already. I would never recommend a security freeze with TransUnion or really even having a creditor use TransUnion if credit is needed.

The fact that TransUnion and Equifax for that matter are allowed to remain in business is criminal. Last year I applied for a credit card and was denied based on TransUnion's reporting of my credit. When I investigated by paying for their "service" if you can call it that. There were several inaccuracies that I had to deal with. Fast forward to 2 days ago when I am making preparations to attempt to get the same credit card so I can switch banks. Equifax reports me as being in the excellent range where TransUnion has me in fair bordering on poor.

Again I find inaccuracies in my account. Not only that but my credit score dropped 12 points since last year. There is no reason for that as I have not taken on any new debt, don't have any debt, sorted out the inaccuracies they caused, closed a line of credit, and continued to use my credit card like normal for just about everything. Also both company's customer services representatives are rude, barely speak English, have no ability to explain or do anything and are obviously far away as the connection is very poor.

I went onto AnnualCreditReport.com to get my first annual credit reports from the 3 bureaus and got charged $20 per month from one of them - TransUnion, by simply giving them my credit card information. This is a scam that shouldn't be permitted! I hope this company stops auto-signing people up to their services because I never wanted their services for anything but free, which is why I went on to AnnualCreditReport.com to get my FREE credit reports. Nothing was charged by the other two, and based on all the other reviews, I know that it isn't just me. The problem apparently is that I had to give them my credit card information - don't trust them with your credit card info.

I got transferred NINE TIMES!!! I had to stop the last person from transferring me. Every single teller I spoke to is useless. They made me repeat the same thing over and over, and they would transfer me. EQUIFAX helped me within 10 minutes while TRANSUNION made me waste 45 minutes. And, I am sorry but it was really hard to understand some of the workers as their accents were pretty strong.

I signed up for a $1 credit report, and I've just discovered that TransUnion is charging me $19.93 per month for this on my credit union credit card. I immediately cancelled my 'free yearly credit report' (HA!) and I have emailed them (no reply to date) and tried to phone them, but the phone is automated/asks from my social security number, which I am not happy to provide, and I am unable to speak to a human. I've told my Credit Union about this, in the hope that they can help me recover every penny of the money they've stolen. I am now going to make a complaint to the BBB and will continue my efforts to spread the word about this devious company. DO NOT USE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Asks for credit card for "information" then charges a monthly fee of $9.95. They must know they have created a scam product to inadvertently sign users up for a monthly subscription that they don't want or need. In addition all of the credit information on the site was out of date. They apparently had no knowledge of any of my current credit card accounts even though I used them regularly for many years.

In 2014 I signed up for a service for credit monitoring upon accessing my credit report. I did not request a monthly subscription but was apparently auto signed up for one. When receiving repeated charges for 19.93 per month after 2 months, I called TransUnion to discontinue a monthly subscription. They assured me this would not continue and the charges would be reversed. That did not happen, I then called Capital One whom was the credit card that was being charged, Capital One was very professional and assisted me on getting reimbursed from the fraud charges.

It is now 2017 and I'm STILL being charged via TransUnion monthly for a subscription that even their own records indicate I've cancelled. Capital One has had an ongoing investigation as to these charges and we have now blocked the company from being able to further charge my card. I've had 2 replacement cards and accounts since 2014 and they are able to go to MasterCard themselves and request access to my card information to charge me. This is ILLEGAL.

I will be pursuing a legal lawsuit with a class action suit for these activities that are against consumers. Anyone interested in joining my lawsuit please contact me. I will be happy to add you to the suit to get your funds reimbursed and have this company be held accountable legally for their criminal activities against consumers. These companies like Lifelock, TransUnion, etc are supposed to safeguard our credit and identity NOT be the very companies committing the fraud. This needs to stop now. I can be reached at **, leave a voice mail and we will happily add you to the lawsuit as a consumer victim of fraud.

I filed a dispute with Transunion online. For weeks it said needs manual processing on the website. After the 30 days was over the dispute shows all blanks and is still on my credit report. Customer service is telling me they have no record of my dispute. This is bogus. I have a Dr bill where someone used my name and it was disputed! I'm not stupid and had to dispute something once before. They are dead wrong but I have no recourse. I hate them. I'm trying to refinance my home and I have a bs collection that is wrong and it seems the only way to get it off my report is to pay a bill that is bogus. I disputed again yet now have to wait another 30 days bs.

For the past 6 months I have been attempting to cancel this service. 3 times I called and 3 times the service was supposed to be canceled and refunded. The money taken from your account is automatically renews but your credit score does not. You have to pay to refresh! "These memberships automatically renew, each month, indefinitely." If it took me an hour just to locate this someone needs to warn others NOT TO SIGN UP WITH TRANSUNION! Have to dig very hard to find out. To cancel you must call them, and the info is buried under PRIVACY.

TransUnion is a fraud, they have all the same information as Equifax and Experian yet my score is 50 POINTS LOWER, dragging me into a lower level credit bracket. Making me pay way more for things I shouldn't. I work very hard to keep my credit and they are providing these companies with an inaccurate number. When I called I to speak to someone not located within the United States and can't understand them or what they are trying to explain how they come up with that number. Then the supervisor tells me he's looking at a completely different number but will not tell me what it is, he says if I want to find out it will be an additional $9.95. What! This is no joke!

This affects my lively hood and way of LIFE! How does the government let them get away with it! If this happens to everyone else of course the lending companies are going to catch on and only use TransUnion scores, then the people will have to pay higher percentages! When is enough enough! They just squeeze every ounce out of a person and expect us to thank them in the process! Pretty soon you will not be able to afford anything! Anything at all, because major corporations are paying for credit scores and TransUnion is giving false information to keep your rates high. One hand feeds the other!

Called to update address and phone number cause I just moved a few months ago. I found out my info they have is old and out of date. Called 3 numbers for them before finding a number that would give me a human. Explained to them I moved and needed my info updated. They could not help me instead wasted 1 hour of my time then I asked to speak to a supervisor again wasted much time to get nowhere. It's my credit score and info but yet they have control of this information.

They refused to update it after asking me many questions to prove I am me. Then I ask "you even in the USA" I was told "no your call was transferred and rerouted to India." So all of our SSN and addresses, Full names and personal INFO is in another country. Nice and yet our country talks about identity theft and how it is so easy for others to get your info. OUR OWN GOVERNMENT JUST GIVES OUR PRIVATE INFORMATION OUT TO OTHER COUNTRIES. I then asked to be rerouted back to the USA to still just get the runaround. What a joke.

As I read these reviews I see the same information repeated. My experience was getting a 1 time credit score, I never signed up for any continuing service, actually after entering my card information they asked for my social security number I got nervous and exited the site. So I have never received any type of credit reporting from the company. Now they are charging me $19.95 for monthly checks and credit protection that I never signed up for. Upon calling in to cancel they kept the conversation going around in circles for 65 minutes, always asking for my Social Security # and my birth date, which I never gave them. Finally, they agreed to terminate my subscription and refund $19.95 to my account. This is account purely a scam!!!

They have gone and just put a false claim on my credit report. Everything you do now you need a great credit score. They can really wreak your life and don't care. Every time I have called the person doesn't speak English. I can't understand a word they say and when I ask to speak with someone that speaks English they get upset. They can't answer my questions and you get nowhere. This isn't a joke. This being on there when it shouldn't makes it so you can't buy your home or a car. NOTHING. They say they just don't let anyone put anything on your credit report. BULL. These people need to stop playing with people's lives. This is very important and they should be getting into trouble. If this doesn't get sorted out I will be calling my lawyer.

My social security number was stolen. The thief created an online profile with TransUnion and placed a 90-day fraud alert on my account. They changed my address, telephone, and email to theirs. Potential creditors saw the alert and then called the fraudulent phone number, and verified the applications for credit with the thief.

I find out something is going on and called TransUnion. They tell me about the 90-day alert on my file and the online profile created using my ID. I tell them this is fraudulent and they tell me they'll place a "freeze" on my account using a 6-digit PIN to unlock. Supposedly, only I can make changes to my account or unfreeze, but ONLY if I have the PIN number.

I called back one week later and find out that "someone" called the day after I put the freeze into effect, and the freeze was lifted. I asked "How was this done without the super secret PIN?" The fraudster told them they didn't have the PIN (the one that was placed the day before) and the TransUnion India staff proceeded to ask them identity questions. That's all they had to do was answer the questions. Easy to do when you have already had access to the online profile with contains all your personal data. Oh, yeah, and the fraudster also requested a free credit report be sent to them at their address in ANOTHER STATE, which TransUnion happily complied with. Nice to know they are protecting my personal data.

These people operate their business in the worst possible way. I needed their report just once to sign a lease so I did. They don't make it clear on how to stop this service. I have been charged 16 dollars every month and wondering why until I realized it was from them. The problem is not that they make it very hush hush about cancelling the service, it's that they make it so difficult to get out of it. You can't find it anywhere on the website, have to stay in the line for hours and then I've heard stories of people whose service wasn't even cancelled after calling. This should be illegal. It's not moral. It's nasty business. I am never coming near that company again and just in case I am cancelling this credit card to make sure I don't get charged for this crap ever again.

I recently submitted a dispute for information on my credit report. The dispute was finalized and the information was removed from my credit report. In seeing that you would believe that my credit score would have increased. Instead my credit score dropped 48 points. I was confused so I called TransUnion and the lady that I was speaking to on the phone just kept rambling in circles because she did not know the answer. She kept trying to explain that all agencies use a different vantage system to score the credit score which does not make sense because your score should be similar to each other across all three credit reporting agencies.

When I explain to her that that is confusing and does not make any sense all she did was sound like a broken record and could not answer my questions and cats rambling in circles. When I ask if I can speak to somebody else she could not answer that simple question and put me on the phone with somebody they can answer my questions and that is the reason I am totally unsatisfied. Because TransUnion is the main agency used by all creditors to establish credit so to me TransUnion keeping a low score would cause me to have higher interest-rate.

I check my free credit report on an annual basis and also purchase a FICO score at that time. I've done this ever since the law was passed. This year, I wound up with TWO subscriptions (at $29.99 and $24.99) for useless "24 hour monitoring" which I neither requested or wanted. I was trying to purchase my annual FICO score and have now spent several hundred dollars on less than useless "credit monitoring" (which is available to me from several other sources for free). This is legal, but I have a master’s degree and didn't realize I was signing up for their service, so it clearly is deceptive. I can tell by the large numbers of similar complaints that this is a common practice.

I had a painful experience speaking with a Customer Service Representative from TransUnion. The young lady was speaking too fast, and not clearly. When I would ask her several times to please repeat herself she became attitudinal. She had a very thick European accent. To be a company that handles secured information, you must have more qualified professional people working for you that can speak and enunciate properly. It doesn't matter where a person is from, PROFESSIONALISM should be the main factor in delivering great customer service.

At first I signed up to get an instant credit report. A lot of people complain that TransUnion steals from you but it very clearly says you must cancel with 7 day or you will be charged the monthly subscription. I've signed up for it 3 different times and never had an issue. Moving on, I decided to keep the subscription and 6 months later I immediately got an email for TransUnion noticing me of a new inquiry... I froze access to my report from the website right away and contacted the person who pulled it. It turns out it was Kia financial for someone who applied for a car 1000 miles away. The only reason they didn't get the car is because the awesome person who pulled the report suspected fraud because all the addresses in my history were from California and when he asked the couple "where have you lived" they obviously didn't say California and they were denied. Thanks to TransUnion I found out with 1 hour of applying and was able to freeze it so that those people couldn't go to the next dealer.

I've been using it for 2 years now and love it. I recommend it to anyone. The only thing that I really want people to know out there is that you can get it for cheaper. After having it for 6 months I tried cancelling because 18 dollars a month is not much but it counts for something and the rep on the phone offered me a lifetime price of 9.95 be if I kept it... Shady scheme but I guess you can't blame them with rivals like credit karma... so I stayed. The other times I subscribed I cancelled after a month so I think that's why they didn't offer me a lower price. Just something to think about. I hope this helps.

Received a letter from Transunion Interactive saying they identified suspicious activity on my credit report. Called Transunion and they transferred me numerous times with different departments and the answer from Transunion was the same. (There is no suspicious online activity on my acct.) This is a marketing scam from Transunion to get you to sign up and pay for Fraud Alert on your account. The letter tells you to sign up and I went to the website and it is Transunion but it is their Interactive Division to get you to sign up for Fraud Alert and pay a monthly fee. This is fraud on their part advertising and making false statements to consumers to get them to pay for this service. Why would Consumer Affairs let a company that maintains so much of your private credit history and personal information continue to be allowed to be a consumer reporting agency? Their license should be revoked.

We went to refinance one of our vehicles and were told that our credit score was being significantly hurt due to a student loan. Neither of us have been to school, except a week-long course to obtain a crane operator certification. When the detailed report was pulled TransUnion creditor was the creditor listed. I placed a call on 12/08/2016 to TransUnion to resolve the issue. I am fluent in English and it is the only language I speak. The representatives I spoke with did not speak English and if they did it was broken. I asked to please speak to someone who was fluent in English. When I asked this I was hung up on.

The representative told me to file a dispute and in order to do so I need to send all proof of any account to them, social security number, and the reason for making a dispute. After telling her we are not comfortable sending the SSN through the mail she was very rude and continued to speak her language. She then told me it would take 30 days for the dispute to be handled. When asked where they are located she stated, "India." I am not comfortable sending my personal information to India and I do not know where it is being sent or whose hands it will end up in.

We have proof all courses that were taken were paid IN FULL by the due date. The representative continued to tell me it wasn't and that's why it went to them. Now we are in a constant battle trying to get this wiped from the credit score. These crane certification courses that were taken were from 2014 and it is now 2016. We were not aware of anything until 12/07/2016. The representatives are robotic and read straight from a script, and are unable to answer any question aside what is given from the script. This company is a scam and they should not be dealing with cases from the United States, and needs to be investigated to the fullest extent.

Transunion seems to hire incompetent people. They make mistakes affecting many people's lives. When asked to speak with a manager was told I would receive a call today regarding a dispute. Call never came. They dropped my score 20 points because of a dispute against a company that I never made. The other reporting agencies follow through and settle problems quickly. Transunion made the mistake and won't fix it. It is causing me huge financial troubles. They need to be monitored.

Was filling out a job application and re-directed to TransUnion. But since then they started charging my checking account 19.95. Not the way to get business... Very disturbed. I guess that's how some companies need to survive. Very poor.

This customer service is ridiculous. They're a bunch of robots reading from a script. I needed to lift a credit freeze, and they stated I needed to mail copies of my social security card and all kind of crazy info. This is absolutely nuts. I needed to do the same thing with Experian and it was easy-peasy. I need to lift my credit freeze to get approved for a credit card. THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

I went online to for a one time credit report with FICO score from TransUnion. One month later, I noticed recurring charges for $19.95 each month. I contacted TransUnion who stated that somehow I signed up for it??? I did not sign up for anything. They automatically enrolled me in the credit monitoring service at a charge of $19.95 per month, following 7 free trial days. I did not sign up for the program. I did not sign up for any trial period. I did not request anything. This is shady on the part of TransUnion. I contacted Discover credit to remove the charge which is pending. Watch out for this scam.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.
  • Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.
  • Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.
  • Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.
  • Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.
  • Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.
  • Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.
  • Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.
  • Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.
  • Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Compare Credit Report Sites