1.00/5

693 TransUnion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was looking to get a free credit report and used Transunion's website, which is supposed to be an accredited trusted site. The site asks for your personal information then to verify the said information you're asked to enter your credit card number to verify who you are. Needless to say, I did. The first time I entered my cc information, I got "Could not be processed". I tried a different card. Which seemed to work, however, my credit report could not be found. Then, I receive a phone call from my bank, a half hour later, saying that Transunion tried to charge my account twice for the amount of $19.95. It appeared to them these were fraudulent charges and contacted me. With this information, thank you, Schwab, I had to contact my other CC company and dispute the fraudulent charge from Transunion. Which I found out they did charge my account and I am currently in the process of disputing.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Recently, my wife and I applied for a home improvement loan for a new fence in our backyard. After supplying the bank, Enerbank USA, with our information, they ran a credit check on both of us. Her credit was excellent but mine showed a score of 686 from TransUnion. I checked my credit score through Credit Karma and TransUnion showed my score as 770 and excellent along with an excellent rating from Equifax. I asked the rep from Enerbank U.S.A why TransUnion showed a lower score to the bank and a higher score to Credit Karma and the rep did not know why. I contacted TransUnion and was connected to this guy in a foreign country who could barely speak English. I could barely understand him and I'm sure he could barely understand me. He was obviously reading from a pre-printed script.

The reason for my low score, apparently, was that my adult son had a student loan through AES/SunTrust which I co-signed for many years ago. My son filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy earlier this year. Any and all loans that he had taken out with me as the co-signer were part of the filing. That took me out of the loop and all the other loans were removed from my credit report except this one. Either AES/SunTrust failed to notify TransUnion about the bankruptcy filed by my son or TransUnion just didn't bother to remove it from my credit report. Either way, I now can't get a $3,000 home improvement loan because of this mark on my credit. They claimed that I would receive a reply within 5 to 7 days. It is now 8 days and so far nothing. I am livid the way I am being treated by TransUnion. The next step will be contacting my attorney and let them deal with him.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I searched online for TransUnion free credit report. I was directed to a website where I entered information and had to enter a credit card for identification. I was not aware that this website was actually for credit monitoring with a charge of $19.95 per month. After I reviewed my "free" credit report, I checked my e-mail and found that I had received an e-mail with an order number and indication that I would be charged $19.95 per month. I contacted TransUnion and spoke with someone whose primary language was not English and was told that this e-mail was simply an offer to sign up for credit monitoring, that I had not been charged.

I checked my credit card website and found that I was indeed charged. I went on-line to TransUnion and cancelled the monitoring service and it indicated that I would still have use of the service until the end of the month. I again called TransUnion and spoke with an arrogant young man who again English was not the primary language. He was very nasty and told me that I did sign up for the monitoring and that they would not credit me. He refused to let me talk to a supervisor or manager despite numerous requests from me. He finally agreed to refund the $19.95 but assured me that this was a one-time occurrence and that in the future I would have to pay it. Needless to say, this has left me very dissatisfied with TransUnion.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Aside from the $21.00 recurring charge they make no mention of until you wake up one morning and check your bank account and there is money stolen by this "company", I honestly have nothing good to say! I initially used this "company" or whatever you can call it to check my scores so that I could apply for a car loan. The scores I was given were completely inaccurate! I went to the dealership and spoke to the rep there at which point he asked me where I got my numbers and I told him.

My actual scores were way lower than what TransUnion told me, leading me to believe that they dropped my score. I called to have my (subscription) cancelled and the little girl who answered the call was very rude and didn't seem to understand what I was telling her. I tried back with another little girl and she was just as bad and when I asked to speak to her supervisor she dropped the dumb act and told me that her supervisor was in the United States...so where is their office??? I could get a straight answer on that either. This "company" is so shady! I do not urge anyone to use them for any reason whatsoever! Hopefully I receive my refund so that I don't have to keep going on this nonsense.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I login into the TransUnion site off the US Bank site and it show that my report was last updated 9/14/18. It also states that the next report will be available 8/13/2038. 20 years later? This is BS. Last month I complained when they stated a report "as of date" with a new update two months before the last update. We are suppose to trust accurate reporting by this company? I complained to US Bank also and they are checking it out. Why is US Bank endorsing this service to their customers via a link on their customer online account page when it gives bad info. Credit reports and info needs to be correct. This company, TransUnion is not a good choice for anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Their online dispute site is a joke. I filed a dispute to get my brothers information off my credit. It wasn't anything bad, it's just doesn't belong to me. My wife even has this problem as one of her sister's stuff is on her record and it's bad. The common factor with our issues are our names and social security numbers are similar to our siblings. I don't understand why TransUnion is the only one of the credit reports that is doing this. Do they have monkeys processing their data?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Every time I go to log in on the website it continuously loops to try to sell me something and then when I get to the credit freeze when I will after I have to log out and go to a different website same company it will not accept my login. The only way you could freeze your credit or deal with it is to buy their product for $20 per month on the website if not you have to call. The only reason I gave it one star is because there is no 0 stars.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I filed a dispute with TransUnion on 08/04/2018 & everything I find online says disputes are usually finished within 30-45 days. We are going into a month and a half now with this dispute. I filed with Experian and Equifax as well and those disputes are already finished. What is taking so long? I am trying to buy a house currently, & this is holding me up big time! Please TransUnion, work on getting your dispute files done! From a concerned consumer.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Tried to place a credit freeze on account through Transunion.com/credit-freeze. Impossible, finally told a problem and directed to (866) 744-8221. Was told that website no longer good even though still showing up. Directed to Service... Could not understand operator and unable to activate website. Googled and TransUnion customer support said call 888-909-8872. After a machine took all my info I was transferred to a busy line and disconnected.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

So I have been checking my Credit Scores both on a hard copy TransUnion sent to me thru the mail and on Credit Karma. I noticed recently that an old debt had fallen off Equifax but not TransUnion. My concern though is I have a very small loan out with my bank and they have not update my payment I made from August but Equifax and Experian has. When I called to report that this was incorrect, the Supervisor who I could tell was making stuff up and repeating what I was saying really did not know what he was talking about. My bank reports to the Credit Bureau my payments between the 31st and the 10th of the following month. There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON why TU should not have already updated by balance and payment history to reflect correctly! Unfortunately we are stuck with this crappy business but I wish they would get their act together. You are playing with people's credit here and frankly this is causing us a lot of problems!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have Excellent score with the other 2 companies but TransUnion has me at 720, "Good". They refuse to give the required free report when I called but sent me to another website which then sent me back to the credit card input section so they could charge me monthly. I have credit monitoring through AAA and will be calling for help tomorrow. What a racket! Why are they a credit reporting company and they are not accredited? Makes no sense.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have been monitoring my credit scores with the different companies including TransUnion for about 5 years. During that time I noticed that TransUnion treats the same credit activity much differently, more negatively than the other reporting companies. For example, if my debit balance increased by $300 they will reduce my score by 9 points while the other companies only 2 points. Recently, I paid off a $25,000 loan but TransUnion only increased my score by 1 point. I have consistently maintained an excellent rating with the other companies but TransUnion will not give me an excellent rating no matter what I do. They only look to lower your score by some completely arbitrary method of scoring.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

So my credit score was 686 and it took me an awful long time to get to there, then I checked my credit score on 9/4 and it dropped 41 points. Nothing has changed, I pay everything on time. I am planning on buying a house very soon and that's really going to hurt my interest. I want it fixed! TransUnion is a joke, my FICO score is 707, now wth?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I specifically went to the TransUnion website to order all credit scores and reports, as advertised for $29.95, for TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian. I clicked on "Complete Your Credit Picture". It took days for them to bill my card, and they only gave me TransUnion info, and billed me $21.95 instead. How would I even order only the TransUnion info if I clicked on the 3-Bureau Credit Report & Scores? There's something wrong with their webpage or User Interface.

I argued with their customer support, but their representatives are not too bright. I can tell I know more about computers and the interwebs than they do. But it still doesn't address the problem of why it took that long for TransUnion to clear from Pending on my bank's account history, when this does not happen for any other purchases, and why they billed me for something completely different, something I didn't even click on, something that I saw no option to click on, given the route I took on their webpage. Also, they have no accurate history of me, which made using TransUnion pointless to begin with. In my situation, I was better off trying the other 2 Bureaus and ignoring TransUnion.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Why can't these companies use US based customer service? So many people need their assistance, and they hire overseas representatives who don't speak English well, and you can't understand a word they're saying. Is so frustrating to have to deal with them.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

In February 2018, after hearing on the news that a big box store's customers' accounts had been hacked, I logged into annualcreditreport.com to request the free yearly credit report we are entitled to. TransUnion was the first and easiest site to access, so I requested my report from them. Everything in my report looked accurate. I was satisfied and I never logged back on their website. This month, July, I happened to peruse my credit card statement, and noticed a charge of $21.68 for TransUnion. Called credit card company, and was told TransUnion had been charging me $21.68 for the past 6 months (I admit I was negligent in checking my monthly charges before paying my bill).

I immediately called TransUnion to tell them I had not signed up for anything with them, and requested a refund. A very rude manager insisted I enrolled in their monthly membership program, and that I had given them my credit card number. I absolutely did not do either, especially since I never subscribe to any monthly membership because I tend to forget I have that membership and never use it. In the end he agreed to give me 3 months' refund, and I cancelled my membership (which I am sure I did not sign up for). Do not ever request credit reports from this dishonest company! Now that I've been reading reviews, I see that they defraud consumers by enrolling them in monthly subscriptions without letting them know. Nowhere in the website is it clear that you have signed on to their services. Buyer beware!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I signed up to look up my credit score for $1. 6 months later, and I see $21.73 charged on my credit card from abroad every month for 6 months by TransUnion. Since it’s from abroad, I don’t receive monthly statements so didn’t see the charges until today. I called and they refused to refund me. They said that I signed up to their service and it isn't for free. No email, no notification, no warning, no nothing. This company’s practice should be illegal. They lure you in by offering a service for a small amount and then have you inadvertently subscribe to a monthly service for a much higher amount. It’s predatory.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

FIX YOUR WEBSITE! That this Corporation has been able to maintain "favored" standing as one of only 3 MAJOR Credit Repositories Nationwide is a outright travesty. Just look at the reviews! It seems painfully obvious that Customer Service is not part of their Corporate Culture. What is the company's mission statement? "Obfuscate Till Death?" I have wasted countless hours wading through the egregious functionality of TransUnion's website and total lack of customer service. TUC dispute dashboard instructs you to click on links. They do not provide to file or review disputes, indicates your information was not received or failed to transmit as an "already resolved account".

When attempting to dispute, they tell you to click into a checkbox provided In any tradeline you wish to challenge then offer no checkbox. When attempting to contact anyone at the company, I was placed into a never-ending rotation of FAQ as a consumer with no option to speak or chat with a live person until I indicated I was a business affiliate SO I could leave review and when was finished and submitted the inquiry, the automated response said it seemed like I was consumer my request should be redirected to the consumer website & popped me out of the site. They continue to hit me with duplicate derog that are erroneous and have made it almost impossible to resolve. THEY DON'T CARE. THEY GET THE BUSINESS ANYWAY. SHAME ON YOU AND YOUR CEO TRANSUNION!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I divorced in 2007 forcing me into bankruptcy since he absolutely refuses to pay his 50% of the bills while we awaited our hearing in family court with adult and minor children. I sure did pay mine, as soon as I filed I personally enrolled in Credit Karma! I ordered my free credit reports 30 as my case was heard at hearing from all 3 reporting agencies. Next, I got one prepaid credit card. I never went off a 50 percent balance. I only paid off the card maybe 2 -3 times a year. Leave a small balance on the card NOW. You are rebuilding credit. I started at 480 when my husband stopped paying bills!

I was always in the around 750. Next, I made the same mistake I am reading here. I needed another place to monitor. I knew to stop the service the company just does not stop and I keep getting a bank draft month after month it is so annoying, unethical, poor business practices, stealing from the customer that I am honestly surprised they do not have a class lawsuit for wasting everyone's time. I went back to Credit Karma 2 years to the day I was at 764 and had cleaned up my credit to buy a home all by my self with 30% down for my daughters and I. Good luck everyone and you can use free sites to do just as much! I learned the hard way as well! Cheers!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I used TransUnion Interactive website to get a full credit report to look into my credit score. I inadvertently signed up for a monthly credit score membership that cost $19.95/month with supposed unlimited updates whenever I wanted of my credit reports. However when I would try to update my credit reports The site charges another $29.95 to update it, so what is the $19.95/month for? I have no idea... The cancellation process seemed easy enough, but no refund for my Membership, I have to wait my month out to see if they try to charge me again. They offered me a free month (no good if the promises of the site are worthless) and reduced monthly fee of $9.95/month after the free month... I chose to cancel and not the offers that still did not change the fact I was being charged for absolutely nothing! WASTE OF MONEY!!!

Original review: July 26, 2018

All my accounts are in good standing, no derogatory marks, no hard inquiries. Transunion gives me 623 score and the others give me 745 & 748. I tried to use their dispute process but it had dead link in middle of the process. I called and spoke to some Haji from India who I reluctantly had to give my Social to. I could barely understand this guy who talked over me and then hung up on me when I had to raise my voice to speak. Since they are not accredited, I intend to pursue with aggression any future predatory lending processes using Transunion as a basis for their decisions. There appears to be no way existing to fix this problem except to notate it on Consumer Affairs.

Original review: July 19, 2018

These sites seem designed only to push credit cards! I was told my score was "Fair" because I didn't have enough credit card activity. This week I opened a credit card with Amazon. A few weeks ago I started a new credit card with my bank. Today for the 1st time I opened an account with PayPal. The result? My credit scores dropped! This is insane! Their scores are clearly meaningless!!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have a low score in TransUnion of 491, however, there is no reason for this as I am paying two credit cards on time every other week with GREENPATH (an angel) and I have one mortgage which I also pay on time. I almost paid for my home in full and survived all the Wall Street chaos where the Wall Street crooks gain money and we the people got robbed. Then they come up with this inquires that I did not make and lower my points. The credit report is fabricated by credit cards so we get in debt and pay thousands in interest. Shame on TransUnion. They are evil evil evil. I lost a job because TransUnion harming and inaccurate information.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Was told by a company I was working with that my credit score had gone down. Perplexed, I checked with TransUnion only to find they had included my son's credit scores with mine, assuming his name was my alias. When I went to the website and filed a complaint, I was then told to see my new credit score. They wanted to charge me when I tried to check that an ERROR they created was fixed. A bunch of dishonest lying morons. They should be investigated.

Original review: July 10, 2018

TransUnion mentions a free credit report initially. It charges a fee of $29.95 on the credit card that you provide them. I talked with their customer service about the same and they seem completely clueless on how to address the reversal of the charges. Worst company. Stay away from TransUnion.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Got email from Credit Karma saying my score dropped because of TransUnion. The thing I think I did wrong was trying to check out the internet rates on loans that my mobile banking app offered. This is so wrong. If anything it should go up for being able to manage my accounts and payments online.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Transunion will email you. In the email you will check a box to check your credit. They charge you $1. You do not realize that this was a 7-day trial for a subscription. After that, they charge you $19.95 for a continuing subscription. The following is a quote from another... of thousands... that says this: "My understanding was that it cost $19,95 for the report, I filled in my credit card information, and received the report for my landlord. It was my own negligence in not noticing that $19,95 has been charged to my credit card every month since then for six additional months. Apparently I 'subscribed' to a monthly service, but I certainly the word 'subscription' does not stand out in my memory. It must have been in the fine print." This is the type of scam techniques that Transunion is using on unsuspecting people just looking to see their credit (which is offered once annually by law)!

Original review: June 29, 2018

WE ALL KNOW HOW IMPORTANT A CREDIT SCORE IS! From what I can see on this site and from my personal experience with them, Transunion are flagrantly engaging in illegal practices! When questioning a claim of outstanding debt, I was told "You should not contact the originator of the debt claim as the debt now rests with Transunion." After waiting 6 weeks for Transunion to dispute the debt and revert I called them and asked for the claimant's contact details. Transunion call center refused to give these details to me. Having only had 1 medical bill in the US in 33 years it wasn't difficult to find the source of the debt claim, it just simply involved listening to a call-hold message for almost 2 hours to get through to the first rep.

This rep was at least helpful after I had to wait so long so I didn't vent at her anywhere near as much as I wanted to. She informed me that not only had the hospital entered my personal address information incorrectly (listing a US address when I was actually residing in Denmark) there was also a charge for a subcontracted doctor which I had never been informed of during the consultation. Nobody ever noticed that the bills were being sent to a non-existent address!!! At least this rep was able to give me the contact detail of the originator of the debt who I contacted straight away. The rep confirmed bills had been sent to a non-existent address. They also had no record that I was a self-pay patient so the outstanding bill only 126 dollars rather than 315 which they were going to charge an insurance company.

Summary: After 2.5 hours on the phone I was able to pay the outstanding 126 dollars debt which I never knew existed as I had lived overseas for 33 years and never had to worry about credit history. The company also informed me that Transunion would be informed same day and instructed them to remove the record of the debt. 3 days on and this record is still showing against my credit score. I have called Transunion's "Delaware registered phone number" (which connects you to a call center in the Philippines) and I asked a very specific question: "How long will it take Transunion to remove the outstanding debt remark from my credit history." I repeatedly asked the same question and the representative evaded the question every time refusing to even give me an estimate of the time required to remove the remark and clear my credit score.

The reps are clearly trained to ONLY give feedback which guides you to pay Transunion to clear the debt and/or to sign up to their subscription service. They will not give you any indication that the debt can still be resolved with the originator. I am currently registering a claim with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: https://complaint.consumerfinance.gov 1-855-411-2372 and I would encourage all parties who been treated unfairly by this company to do the same.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I needed to get a credit report with my name on it for a potential landlord in Toronto. I love Credit Karma, but unfortunately my credit score and name didn't appear on the same page. So I started looking on internet for another free credit score company. Came upon TransUnion which claims you can get a free credit report. Great. After selecting headline which says free credit report I get onto the site to type in all your info from your name, address, SIN, and credit card number. Big mistake. I thought they needed credit card number to search for any unpaid bills. Apparently it was to charge me for a $19.95 monthly fee. No confirmation of this charge was given. At the end of the process they will tell you your credit card has been charged $19.95. Surprise!

Called them up as they do not have an email available. (in this day and age?) So I decided to check website for Transunion scams. Oh yeah! Not good. Should have checked here first. Learnt my lesson. After contacting them by phone, and them switching you to other people who can help (which none of them can seem to help you) I think I finally canceled the subscription. He gave me a cancellation number but does that really mean anything? I guess I'll have to wait one month to see if they will still charge my card continuously. Bad experience. Don't even deal with them. They are obviously deceitful. Just look at all the complaints about them on this site.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Not sure how my score can be 20 points lower on TransUnion than the 3 other companies with the same thing on both but I know TransUnion spams my inbox to sign up for a monthly fee to monitor my credit when the other's do not... I'm beginning to think there may be favors if you sign up. Maybe my score will go up if I join? I don't understand why so may companies go by this one credit bureau. Think they are a scam and need investigated.

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg