2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

TransUnion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: July 30, 2020

I absolutely hate TransUnion customer service. I'm not sure where it's based out of and I don't want to be culturally bias, but I'd love to be able to speak to an American, it's hard as hell to convey a message when the person on the other end has no idea what you're trying to say.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I’m looking to purchase a condo in the near future and I have been monitoring my credit just like I Monitor my health. On Saturday July 18, 2020, I checked all of my scores on each site. Two had gone up tremendously as I expected because I paid one credit card off and paid the other down. Instead of TransUnion elevating my score they lowered it and their reasoning is my credit cards decreased. I called TransUnion and spoke with not one but three idiots that kept telling me it's their system that does the reporting and there is nothing that can be done. You can’t even dispute it because there is nothing to dispute. I’m so frustrated right now. These were very poor excuses and this scoring has set me back.

Get buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I've been doing business with TransUnion Credit Monitoring Service for years now even when I lived in another state. I was very excited to have an opportunity to lock my credit report. I was even more excited to lock it with more than one credit bureau. However a couple years ago it got entirely too hard to refresh my credit score. They advertise that it's updated every 24 hours so what I understand is I can refresh every day, every week or even every month if I wanted to by clicking refresh score. Nothing happens! I use to call customer service but they are not help! You're asked to clear your browser history, cookies, password etc... It still won't refresh! I waste so much time trying and today over an hour! I lock, unlock, clear browser, logout, login, shut down, restart over and over again and nothing happens! I'm sooo tired of this.

Original review: June 30, 2020

TransUnion Credit has absolutely no idea of a person's current financial position. I recently applied for a loan to purchase a pair of hearing aids and was turned down because of some discrepancies in my information and TransUnion's information. Upon checking my profile on Transunion's website I noticed a number of discrepancies. I did not bother to correct them, I was so disgusted with Transunion inadequate and poor knowledge of my financial position. I have opted to not do business with companies using their services and inquiring about the agencies used when needing credit. With the inaccuracies found in my report and profile I am in total awe of how TransUnion became a trusted source of consumer information.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I was tricked into paying for a credit report by TransUnion call center rep. After suffering a credit score decline of 250 points due to being laid off last year, I worked diligently on securing gainful employment, keeping my active accounts current and establishing payment plans with my 2 accounts that became charge offs. Over the next 10 months my credit score SLOWLY increased up to an average (all 3 credit bureaus) of 616. Nothing new was added to my credit history other than balances DECREASING.

All of the sudden, TransUnion dropped my credit score 45 points on 6/13/20. **Be advised, this was ALL the points I earned by paying double the minimum payment for 10 months. After speaking to 3 different TransUnion reps, I was told Credit Karma was giving me inaccurate details and instructed to purchase a TransUnion Credit Report. I paid $27 and called back only to be told I should continue working on paying my debts to see a credit score increase. I am such a fool for letting TransUnion bully me when I was so emotionally vulnerable and hurt by losing the progress I was so proud of. Moving forward, I pray this company will be exposed for the joke they are.

Original review: June 14, 2020

They report late, do not report the same info to all creditors. I have perfect credit. Always have, always will. My cr report with Credit Karma is 830 for TransUnion and 835 for Equifax.--TransUnion reports this number on credit karma and does not report the same # to Discover Card--still excellent at 795, but a discrepancy noteworthy. I plan on following this erroneous reporting and, if necessary, to avail myself of all legal remedies that I have at my disposal. Credit is an important necessity in our country and reporting agencies should and will be accountable--as they purport to do with the information they disclose on us.

I will start first with a call to them regarding this discrepancy. If not satisfied, I will send a registered letter requesting their changes to be made within a 10 day time frame. I will then contact my congressman/both state and federal regarding problem and get the appropriate govt. oversight and follow-up. As you can see, I will continue this fight until the appropriate remedy is made to all creditors--perhaps class action---Mike **

Original review: June 9, 2020

Monthly payout for a subscription. Suppose to have access to credit report and significant other credit information. Nothing is current, all out of date for over 6 months. Try to get credit report updated and they want to ding your credit report to do so. Cancellation agents are extremely Rude and Unprofessional. Waste of money for what is supposed to be offered.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Transunion is a joke. 126 point drop in three days based on a false report yet it takes 30 days to dispute. How can a company like this be allowed to impact people's live so heavily? I don't understand.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I have paid my student loans and medical bills off. I have never had credit cards... I have the same info on Equian and Equifax. While these scores go up due to 100 payments on time...my Transunion has dropped 100pts in all over two mo. Not only in a pandemic...but I work ft solid good income job and paying HIGH rent. So I decide time to buy. But in 2mos 100pt drop while my other scores rise?!!! 100 payment history and no new debt because I am responsible and save.... This is LUDICROUS!!! SHAME on this company. And what am I to do. I gave up.

You work hard. You save. You have a good career and money...and Transunion still holds my power to buy a home that is less than my rent and all of my bills together...sad. They are a horrible company and during a time of economic disaster... I am am well above water and I still get slammed by them dropping my score! They have defamed my character and abilities to where I can't get the loan due to transunion...or maybe I gave up trying. Congrats Transunion. You have ruined a dream, a goal, a hope. And I am sure as a corporation exactly what you want. Control over the middle class...or all classes. America has no more dreams just corporations like Transunion.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I have subscribed to this credit-reporting company for several years. I finally cancelled today. My Experian credit scores are always 60 to 70 points higher than TransUnion, despite the fact that they both have the same information. I have filed correction after correction with Transunion, but it never seems to make any difference. On the phone their people are rude, uncooperative and not the least bit helpful. My last conversation was with an employee in Guatemala. His whole attitude was arrogant—not the least bit helpful. It is a shame our credit system in the U.S. grants such power to companies like this that operate overseas and that are so pitiful and perform so poorly.

TransUnion author review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor