1.02/5
  • 1 star
Based on 71 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

TransUnion

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

627 TransUnion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

TransUnion is fraudulently and continuously reporting an account on my credit report that is affecting my score, of an account that does not even exist! The company they are claiming is reporting it has no account with that number in their system yet they are saying it's mine.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This complaint is on behalf of my husband. We can never do anything for him having to do with TransUnion on the internet. We always have to call them or write to them. They will not let him request a credit report online. He could not freeze his credit online. He cannot unfreeze his credit online. They wanted him to verify his identity but even though all the answers were correct, they said they were wrong. When they don't have a previous address for you, you cannot possibly get that question right. The account numbers and mortgage numbers - that we were looking at - they said was wrong. In looking further - they said creditors scrambled the numbers - so how are we supposed to know what numbers the creditor gave them?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Unbelievable. I signed up with TransUnion several months ago in response to a report or notification about my personal information having been compromised in a data breach of some kind. It must have been the Equifax breach, in fact. I don't clearly recall what I signed up for with TransUnion, but do I know that, whatever I signed up for, it was supposed to be complimentary (free) owing to the circumstances surrounding my data having been potentially compromised. Evidently, I gave them a credit card number (as one sometimes does to create an account).

I just discovered that they've been charging me $21.70 (after tax) for several months. I called and had the membership canceled and the charges (inclusive of tax) reversed. The customer service representative seemed to have had prior experience with calls like mine. What an awful experience, and what a huge waste of time. Also, tip of the hat for the irony associated with having my credit card wrongly charged in connection with my asking for a credit report after I'd been told that my personal identifying information had been potentially compromised.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

After a few rough years I made an effort to fix my credit score, so I decided to do the responsible thing and check my score. With the inappropriate behavior from Equifax I decided to go with the other option. When in and read through my options, which is exactly one, I was left with the impression this was doing a month trial. However, it automatically signs you up for a recurring monthly subscription. Grew up on the internet and am privy to most of the scams, but I admit whoever programmed this is a marketing god.

So after feeling a 19.95x4 sting to the credit card, I decided to unsubscribe to their wonderful services. Went to the website and tried to stop my subscription but there is no way to do this via the same portal which I started it. You have to call in and ask. Their customer support agent was difficult and had difficulty with the baseline of communication. But after dealing with a full day of these requests, it’s hard to blame them for the bleak disposition. I was reminded that I made a mistake and I would have to pay for those mistakes. The behavior is predatory, they are targeting people that have poor credit and their website is built to be misleading.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Very curious to know when a company like TransUnion has the unilateral authority to close an account in good standing with a bank?! During a family vacation our credit card account was closed because of an "error" by TransUnion. After hours of phone calls they offered no explanation, help or even an apology. It is unbelievable and a situation our attorney will be certainly look into.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransUnion?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

After several calls to TransUnion and my Creditors; Transunion is still not reporting my monthly payments made to the creditors. This is on several accounts. Not just one. Transunion is manipulating credit scores. Something must be done about this. Transunion blames the creditors for not reporting but payments are posted to Experian and Equifax. Capital One even sent me a posting of when they reported to Transunion. If you're late on a payment it's ironic how fast they become then.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Within a 60 day period, with no changes in my behavior, TransUnion raise my score nearly 40 pts (based on laws that were put in placed) and then lower it by that same number of points. Clearly, Transunion, Equifax, and Experian are manipulating the scores. An end needs to be to this so-call scoring system.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I was checking my credit report to set up an investigation/dispute of an item. Like the previous individual who wrote a review, I was charged $19.95 without my knowledge and had to call for a refund! After I went through all the steps required to file a dispute and entered all of my personal information, I reached Step 4 or 5 and the webpage got STUCK!! When I clicked "Continue" nothing happened!! I had to call TransUnion and start the dispute process AGAIN!! I wanted to upload a document to support my dispute so the lady emailed me a link to the same website that got STUCK!! I called TransUnion AGAIN & was given a fax # to fax my document and had to prepare a fax cover page showing ALL the info I'd already entered online. Allowing for all the wait times on the phone, time spent on the website, handling my refund of $19.95 (at a different phone # !!), the WHOLE PROCESS TOOK 3 HOURS OF MY PRECIOUS TIME!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

This morning I got a POSTCARD!!!! From Transunion advising that, at my request, it has placed a 90 day Alert in my credit file. It says on its website that it sends the Fraud Alerts to the other credit reporting agency. I never requested it and I don't want it. I previously complained that I couldn't get my credit report from it or any of the credit agencies. I think this Alert will just about kill all my credit. Bang. Done. Alert equals no credit on top of what Equifax has done to mess everybody's credit up.

To top it off, I cannot create an account to contact them and cannot contact them otherwise because they can't verify my identity. Of course, nobody is available by phone. Complete stonewalling. Goodbye all credit for 90 days unless, of course, Transunion is putting Alerts on everyone who is trying to get a copy of his credit report because it is unable to provide reports to all of Equifax's victims within the time limit. So now I have a Fraud Alert and can't get it off my report. Transunion still hasn't sent me a credit report.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I completely agree with everyone who wrote a scathing review here about the ongoing $19.95 per month fee. I called the customer service agent who was rude and also seemed quite trained to give me standard responses like I had chosen this option (though there is no option to choose other than "run report"), that I was informed in advance that the charges were recurring, blah blah blah. His delivery was just so rehearsed and he had no sense of surprise when I brought this up, so obviously, this scam, as well as the fee, is a recurring event.

Like others said in their reviews, it's not very clear that you'll be charged because the message is off to the right and in a small font with some stock image of a customer service rep so it doesn't look like a menu item. I also think I clicked on this link because I thought I was getting a free report that I'm entitled to once per year so it's extremely misleading. It's my fault for not seeing this (and waiting so long to notice!) but the way they handle these matters is atrocious and they probably get a few hundred dollars from each person before the account is canceled so they could easily make a good revenue stream with a scam like this.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

After reading other people's experience with TransUnion, I definitely had to chime in. Like other people, I had a free credit check done which is done by three companies including TransUnion. After looking over a debit card statement last night, I discovered that TransUnion had deducted 19.95 from my account without authorization, for a monthly credit check that I never signed up for. Haven't even tried to contact them and after reading several other reviews, it's not an easy process. I just wanted to get my experience out there, maybe it can help someone else before they get involved with this company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I lost my Discover Card, no fraudulent charges been detected. I was informed I should contact TransUnion to remove an alert placed on my account. I was put on hold close to thirty minutes and a lady with accent tried to ask questions to establish my true identity! There was huge statics enhanced with heavy accent. Making it impossible to understand what was being asked. I offered to send picture of my driver's license via smartphone, she would not accept. She asked me a sixty five years old!, If I know that credit limit issued to me 18 years earlier(?) Was 18404 or 18405 dollars!!! I missed that one. I politely asked, "I am having hard time hearing you and understanding you. Are you in India?" She said yes!!! I responded I never consented to anyone to share my information with another country. I never consented to the credit agency to access my files or let alone having my credit card held hostage by a non American citizen.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

They hold your credit information hostage from you if you don't pay their stupid monthly fee. In other words, you cannot even view basic information about your credit if you don't pay... When I asked them about accessing my old credit report. The biggest load of crap. One of their customer service managers by the name of Jeff who refused to disclose his last name just told me that is how it is with them and there is nothing I can do about it!!!

These ** have too much power over people and think of us consumers as suckers whose credit fate is controlled by them. At least if you don't pay Equifax, you still have access to the last report you generated while your account's payment information was up to date. Not to mention that my TransUnion (Canada) report was full of duplicates and errors. Also, TransUnion (Canada) is the only credit reporting agency in which a score of 699 is considered "poor" and a score of 700-749 is considered "fair". This is BS. I will not be updating my payment information. Screw them. This is just a cash grab system designed to make them money. The worst experience!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

They purposefully hide the fact that you are signing up for a recurring monthly paid service when you create an account by putting that information in small text, in not obvious places, and then put up a huge fuss when I asked for a refund. Keep pressing them, eventually they'll cave. What a scummy company.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Basically as with a lot of reviews below, I was unaware that I would be charge $19.95 for a monitoring subscription. They have very small writing, away from the main "click here" option that tells you about the $19.95. Even when you read it, it states nowhere that the subscription is attached to the click here option. It goes through the process of taking your information then asks for your credit card number...which directly states next to it that it’s used to get your credit score and they cannot find your score without it.

There is no "checkout" process nor does it let you know in advance you will be spending $19.95 for what you are doing. I phoned them less than an hour after trying to get my credit report to explain that it in no way states what you are subscribing to and was unable to receive my money back. Poor service on everyone's behalf...especially the website builders...unless they have it like that to scam people out of $20 each time. I had no idea that I was paying until I received the email.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I contacted TransUnion due to being charged 19.95 which I was not made aware at the time when I put in my credit card number. So as I’m telling the representative what happened she states she cannot hear me so I asked would she like me to yell. I let her know I have been charged without my knowledge twice & would like a refund. She tells, "No. I’m sorry that’s the cost of service" trying to dismiss me. This company is very unprofessional. The representatives does not speak great English, I’m baffled by this whole situation that I cannot get my refund for charges I was not aware of.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Woke up this morning checked my credit score on Credit Karma, I carry very little debt besides my mortgage and minor credit card debt which is rapidly decreasing toward zero, only to see my TransUnion score decreased by 15 points while the Equifax score increased as expected by 21, odd for sure! So I called TransUnion and of course a guy who barely speaks English and “understands” so well. As he kept saying, my irritation as to why he couldn’t give me a straight answer why the strange and drastic credit score drop when there was nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.

So he offered to send me a credit report, fine, but why did my credit score drop and the one next to it increased as it should have? The guy couldn’t do anything to resolve my question, the whole call was useless. I’m frustrated, and why are people who don’t speak English as a first language dealing with something so sensitive as our credit standing? Why? I’d really like to know. I’d also like to know who I can talk to there to resolve my question, there’s absolutely no reason why my score decreased other than somebody punched in a wrong key or there’s something fishy going on.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I wanted to look at my credit report, through the Discover app I clicked the link to the TransUnion page assuming I would not be charged without prior notification. Once on their page I clicked the button to create an account, entered in my information, then after creating was placed on a recurring subscription for $19.95. Nowhere on the site did it say I would be charged a subscription fee. I cancelled immediately, then I went back through the mobile site and scrolled to view every part of the page and could not find any mention of a charge.

I checked the website to file a ticket and there is no option to file an online support ticket for internal issues. I called customer support and was connected with "Kenny" who tried to sell me on their service when I was clearly not interested and just trying to remove the charge. He refused, telling me there was no way they could issue a refund.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I love their reports and ease of site BUT once they have your credit card, good luck in getting them off. It will take 20-30 mins talking to someone in another country to discontinue your service. Thank goodness I paid with a prepaid credit card. The funds ran out and they could no longer suck money from the account. So if you use this site use a pre-paid card, saved me headache!! Yay to prepaid cards.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I found out my SSN was wrong on their record 6 months ago and since I have been calling them countless times. The first thing I did is to send them the copy of my social. But they still kept giving me different explanations for this problem. Once someone told me some banks are reporting wrong numbers to them and I have checked with all the banks that I have credit cards with, they all confirmed with me that they have the 100% correct social. Another time someone told me all the banks are reporting correctly and TU should be able to correct that mistake themselves. I waited for 2 weeks. Nothing happened! Nothing! After spending at least half an hour on the phone call and being transferred again and again, still cannot solve the simple problem... So frustrating, so disappointing... So bad.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I had someone try to open a Amazon credit card twice through Chase. Once in April and again in June. So this was fraudulent activity on my credit. Both Equifax and Experian have removed the hard inquiries. I spoke with someone at TransUnion and did just as he told me to do. I faxed info in to show it was fraudulent. I have tried contacting them several times regarding this. I get sent to other departments, then told there's nothing they can do and I need to speak to another department. I have called so many times and had absolutely no luck. Pretty strange that the other two credit bureaus removed it but TransUnion refuses to. Seems like fraudulent activity on their end.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Got free credit report from TransUnion. They charge for the credit score, which I paid. Got no credit score from them. Now on the phone with 3 different people for over 20 minutes who keep telling me I did not purchase anything. Have order number and printed receipt right in front of me. No-one can help and the customer service is nonexistent.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I wanted to freeze my credit reports. I breezed through Equifax and Experian in about 10 minutes online and had my credit frozen with them. Then I went to TransUnion and the nightmare began. It was so much more complicated and demanding than the other two; TransUnion ended up telling me they couldn't continue and gave me a number to call. Of course the number makes you jump through hoops just to talk to anyone. And when I did reach someone, her English was poor and she couldn't even freeze my credit. She transferred me to someone else who was clearly "outsourced" - I will say he got my credit frozen fairly quickly, BUT my pin and other info (given to me immediately with the other two credit bureaus) had to be sent to me snail mail. The other two took five minutes each; this ended up taking an hour. I'll never get back.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Since the Equifax breach, we are advised to get a "free" credit check. However, TransUnion charged my credit card for a subscription that I didn't order. I called TransUnion. Of course they want my social security number, my credit card number, date of birth just to cancel my subscription -- their mistake. A week went by and the charge is still on my account. I called again and went through the process again. Why do they want my SS# to correct their mistake? I believe this is a scam.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I filed a dispute on a collection item with unverified "debt" on my credit report. I sent certified mail with supporting documents, per TransUnion customer rep. Surprisingly Transunion completed the investigation within two days while the cert. mail is still in transition. How can they complete the investigation so fast within a couple of days? They have not even received the certified mail I sent to them. The certified mail is still in transit. In addition, I also told them BBB complaints have been filed against the collection agency and the original creditor with an ongoing investigation. Within a couple of days, they closed my file again. How did you complete the investigation within 2-days without looking into all evidences?

I believe TransUnion did not really spent time to investigate my dispute. They just simply close it within two days. When I called to reopen the dispute, then they closed it again within two days. I paid USPS for a cert. mail to TransUnion. The cert. mail is still in transition. In addition, there should be a dependency complaints as ongoing investigations on the validations of the "debt" are still open. How can TransUnion verify the "debt" is accurate while the investigation with the original creditor are still open.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

First, Transunion try to convince you that their true identity service gives a better protection and is free. However if you read the service agreement and privacy policy, they still can sell your info to third parties and give access to your credit report to low risk business collection agencies, insurance underwriters, claim agencies. So I decided to go for a true freeze on the website. Everything went fine until the end. They charge 5$ (get alert on my phone) but claim that my card was denied and I need to call them. After waiting for 20 min, I get a person to put a freeze but I need to pay the 5$ again and need to contact customer services to get my 5$ refunded after I provided my credit card statement. I believe they just hope that most people don't bother to ask for 5$ refund and just get extra money this way. The error message gives you the impression that they know that you got an error but the payment went through anyway.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I spoke to Pedro and asked him why, since I have had credit for 43 years, my "Depth of Credit" was only 2 years. First he said that the "Depth of Credit" only reflected how long I had been signed up with "Credit Journey" with Chase Bank. When I questioned that because they show my Depth as 2 years, he changed his answer to "It's how long it will take you to pay off your loans." Since there is a definition on the website that conflicts with that, I just said, "Let me talk to someone else." I got his supervisor. She proceeded to explain that the credit score has no meaning, and cannot be used for anything. I asked why I need their service. She said, "So you can know what your score is." But why? What does it tell me? What action should I take based upon the score? She started talking over me and interrupting me.

I asked to speak to someone else. She said that was not possible. Really? I asked if she had a boss. She said, "No." I said, "Really? You are self-employed?" She said "Yes." I asked, "So, TransUnion pays self-employed contractors to supervise their customer service?" My conclusion is they hire a bunch of uneducated people at minimum wage to give superficial answers. I suspect they really don't know what their company does or why.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I tried multiple times to freeze my credit reporting with TransUnion. Every time I clicked the Credit lock, it would immediately take me back to the membership screen to sign up for $19.95. I clicked out after having entered my credit card information (which you have to enter before you can go forward, to what you expect you are getting ready to sign up for the credit info freeze.) I tried to enter my husband and didn't think I had clicked on the join TransUnion but the info welcomed my husband as a new member. I knew I would be charged the 19.95 and immediately cancelled the account. After reading further, it stated he could review his account until October 22.

If the account was cancelled at that time, the credit would be unfrozen. What a rip-off and can anyone tell me how I can freeze my credit reporting with them? I had no problems freezing with Equifax and Experian. I was only charged $7.50 with Experian which is very acceptable. How can TransUnion even be allowed to protect American accounts when they have such horrible customer service? After reading all the reviews for them, they are horrible! It sounds like most of them don't speak good English, (which is very concerning) and gave really bad customer service reviews without helping the customers solve the problems for which they called. It seemed most of them were charged even more money and got nowhere.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Called TransUnion, as well as The other credit bureaus to initiate credit freeze. The TransUnion site was very, very difficult to maneuver and finally locked me out and told me "we cannot validate your information". Then the Site directed me to a toll-free number. I called the number and played to 20 million questions game, before it got me to the correct person.

Having lived and work in Western Asia, I recognized the voice accent immediately. I queried the individual if as speaking to a USA citizen in the USA. He replied no and would not tell me the Country I had been transferred to. So, if I were to have followed through with it, I would have given all my personal and financial information to an individual who was in a foreign Country and has little to no liability in protecting my data. One can just imagine the excuses you would get from TransUnion in Dallas when you called to complain about your credit breach. People need to wake up to what is going on here. Start by complaining to your local and State credit or consumer protection agency and follow it up through your CongressPerson. This has gotten way out of hand.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Due to the recent Equifax security breach, I spent several days attempting to get a 90-day fraud alert placed on my credit. After finally being able to place a fraud alert on my credit, I wanted to log into TransUnion's website to check the status of my credit. This is as far as I could get. TransUnion has made their login area completely inaccessible in an attempt to force users to buy their credit monitoring service for $19.95 per month. At a time where this company should be stepping up to protect over 100 million people who may be in danger, they've instead put their own interest first and made it very difficult, if not impossible to access credit freezes, fraud alerts, credit scores/history, and more. This level of greed is unacceptable, especially for a national, government mandated credit bureau.

TransUnion expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TransUnion is a global risk information solutions company. The company is committed to providing the most complete and multidimensional credit information. TransUnion works with businesses and consumers in 33 countries. They have been in business for over 40 years and partner with TrueCredit.com to help millions of customers improve their credit.

• Free trial: Customers receive a free credit score and $1 credit report along with a free seven-day trial.

• Credit protection: TransUnion Credit Lock freezes access to the consumer’s credit report, preventing others from access until the consumer unlocks it. This keeps criminals from gaining access to the consumer’s credit report.

• Instant alerts: When lenders request access to the consumer’s credit, the customer receives an instant email alert about changes that could negatively affect his or her credit.

• Education: TransUnion provides assistance disputing incorrect credit report items. Additional articles about important credit-related topics are found on the website.

• Credit report assistance: TransUnion offers products and services to help the consumer in the following categories: access to free annual credit report, credit report disputes, credit freezes, credit disclosures, fraud alerts and fraud victim resources.

• Credit and debt analysis: Credit and debt analysis tools help guide members toward smarter credit decisions.

• Trusted: TransUnion is highly regarded and one of the three main credit bureaus.

• Monitoring: TransUnion monitors customers' accounts on all three credit bureaus to alert consumers to suspicious credit activity.

• Partnerships: TransUnion partners with banks, healthcare providers, property managers and others to best serve their customers.

• Business services: TransUnion offers extensive products and services to serve the business community.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers who have a major upcoming financial decision and consumers who need credit monitoring.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.transunion.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use