3.8/5 (311 ratings)

About HostGator

HostGator is a web hosting platform with prices starting at $2.75 per month. Customers receive access to a multitude of website hosting options, including shared hosting and WordPress hosting. All sites come with a 99.9% uptime guarantee, free site transfers and free SSL certificates. Customers also receive a free domain for a year.

Pros

• Low prices
  • Many options
  • Uptime guarantee
  • Free domain for a year

Cons

• Limited backups
  • No staging

Bottom Line

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, including unlimited storage and low prices. Some packages have restrictions on staging and backups, but most customers will find its solutions fit their needs and budget.

What is HostGator?

HostGator is a website hosting company that offers services for individuals and businesses. It was founded in 2002 and has built out a massive portfolio of options and features for customers, ranging from domain name purchases to SEO tools.

HostGator offers many additional features, including one-click WordPress transfers, a free domain for a year, one-click app installs, unlimited storage and more.

Prices are pretty low for most hosting services, although some of the features are limited. For example, only one week of backup is available at a time. Stage cloning is also not available, which may be frustrating for some individuals.

How does HostGator work?

With HostGator, customers first need a domain name, which is free for a year for customers. After this is secured and registered, customers can use HostGator to host or create their website.

In some cases, users might prefer to build their website through HostGator’s services. Others will appreciate its WordPress abilities, including its one-click transfers and variety of customization options. You can browse HostGator’s tutorials to understand how to best launch and maintain your new website.

Each hosting type, which includes Shared, WordPress, VPS and dedicated hosting, has a few plans and pricing options. Some also include additional features, like free credit toward Google Ads and logo makers.

HostGator plans

HostGator has a few different plan options suited for different purposes. For example, Shared Hosting (one of its most popular plans) has three options: Hatchling, Baby and Business plans. The Hatchling plan starts at $2.75 per month and includes one website. The Baby plan starts at $3.50 per month and offers unlimited websites. The Business plan starts at $5.25 per month and comes with additional features like SEO tools, dedicated IP and more.

The rest of the hosting plans have three options as well, each with its own pricing and features included:

Website Builder
The Website Builder plans are designed to help create online stores. The three plans are Express Start, Express Site and Express Store, and they vary in the number of email campaigns per month and the number of products that can be added to the store. Prices start at $3.84 a month for the Express Start Plan, $5.99 a month for the Express Site plan and $9.22 a month for the Express Store plan.
WordPress Hosting
WordPress hosting lets you use the many features of WordPress through HostGator. Plans start at $5.95 a month for the Starter Plan, $7.95 a month for the Standard Plan and $9.95 a month for the Business Plan. More expensive plans let you run more sites and handle more visitors.
Dedicated Hosting
This plan gives you high levels of customization and flexibility with your own server. Prices vary depending on the speed and space available on the server. The Value Server plan starts at $89.98 a month, the Power Server plan starts at $119.89 a month, and the Enterprise Server plan starts at $139.99 a month.
VPS Hosting
HostGator’s Virtual Private Server Hosting sets up a virtual server that lets you easily scale up your virtual presence. HostGator offers three VPS Hosting plans: Snappy 2000 (starts at $19.95 a month), Snappy 4000 (starts at $29.95 a month) and Snappy 8000 (starts at $39.95 a month).
Reseller Hosting
Reseller Hosting lets you sell HostGator plans to your clients in return for a part of the proceeds. The three plans vary based on available disk space and bandwidth. The Aluminum Plan starts at $19.95 a month, and the Copper and Silver Plans start at $24.95 a month.

HostGator prices

Prices for service start at $2.75 per month for Shared Hosting. Customers who want to build their own website through its drag-and-drop service will pay at least $3.84 per month. Dedicated Hosting, its most expensive option, starts at $89.98 per month and comes with total server control.

These are all introductory offers, and prices will likely rise after the first year of service. In fact, many reviews on ConsumerAffairs mention increasing prices and unclear terms of future pricing information.

HostGator FAQ

Can I transfer my existing website to HostGator?
Yes. HostGator offers free content migration services within 30 days of service. Customers can also transfer their websites themselves.
What is HostGator’s bandwidth?
It depends on the type of hosting. WordPress, shared, dedicated and cloud hosting have unlimited bandwidth policies.
Will my HostGator site be secure?
Yes. All sites include a free SSL for the first 90 days of service. The free SSL certificate will automatically be available to every domain and subdomain for new and existing cPanel platform customers.
How do I create a website on HostGator?
The company’s Website Builder tool lets you create and launch a website in no time and includes additional features like logo makers and image libraries.

Is HostGator good?

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, ranging from unlimited storage with WordPress and Shared sites to SEO and logo optimization tools. Many of its introductory prices are appealing to new customers, although prices will likely rise after a year of service.

In some cases, customers might find its services don’t cover all of their needs, like those who need clone staging or unlimited backups — but for those who want support in creating and hosting a website or need unlimited bandwidth and storage for their site, the many features and benefits of these plans are very attractive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Very bad service. Already 3 weeks and migration has not helped. When I call them, I get a guy in the Philippines working from the kitchen with children's noises all around. Unprofessional and no wonder they can't focus on technical issues. Scary. #**

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

My sites with HostGator go down EVERY DAY. 500 response codes. I have called and used chat and in many cases the agent reports "The server is down for maintenance, contact again in 2 hours if not working" and then disconnects the chat. Really? Server maintenance during the middle of a business day? On the phone I have spent hours and they cannot even access my accounts due to the errors. If you are considering using HostGator, STOP. Give your head a shake and move on to another company.

HostGator response

Hey Michael,

We would love to help with this issue. We have sent you a private message with more details.

DJ

Customer Advocate at HostGator.com

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Host Gator cannot be trusted to follow through. We paid them for web site transfer and waited, as instructed, for an email from their customer service. After 2 weeks we tried to follow up but were told we had to go through a "verification" process that took several weeks to finish by chat and email. In the end, customer service emailed us to let us know they would not refund our money since it was slightly more than 45 days after we initially signed up. Do NOT trust these sites that require full payment prior to doing any work or service whatsoever. I will be posting this message on every review board I can find to warn folks about this unscrupulous company.

HostGator response

Hey Timothy,

We are more than happy to have someone look into this and call you back or email you to get this resolved. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and take care of you.

DJ

Customer Advocate at HostGator.com

Original review: July 25, 2022

I have used HostGator for several years, and their service has only gotten worse. I have several domains with them. One of these domains was to expire in a month, so I manually extended it for a year. Apparently their auto-renewal was triggered, so two weeks later, they automatically extended this domain for 3 years, without so much as asking me. I never approved this renewal and at the time they processed it, my domain had over a year left. No apology, nothing. The funny (or unfunny) thing was, a year earlier, they DIDN'T even alert me when another domain expired that was set to auto renew. They are a giant mess. Stay away.

Original review: July 24, 2022

Their service is confused, one technical support guy can get something done and another one will tell you it's not even possible. If you ask for a refund they will go ahead and delete your sites but don't assume you will get unused time back. If it's over 45 days they won't give you the money back, they will keep the entire year's money and delete your website without even telling you. Unlimited websites means subdomains added in cpanel on one hosting plan which isn't made clear and it's a terrible system.

Original review: June 14, 2022

It's fairly cheap and high-quality hosting. Especially enjoyed building up a website with their cm system... I also received a free domain which I think is a nice addition to the service I am getting.

Original review: May 25, 2022

Host Gator offers the best service on the net. I was desperate with WIX2 years ago (great tool but no service) and they helped me a lot to set up my SiteMaps, they helped me to index my site astrologers.us, they helped me connect my domain, they answered all the questions I'd with Gator Site Builder, it's the only provider where they answer your chat in less than 2 minutes and help to the end, I personally don't know them, they're in the States and I'm in Denmark and although Site Builder lacks some features, I still use it because they help me a lot. My account with Gator. **

Original review: May 22, 2022

The worst hosting I have ever used! They don't understand what they are doing, they mess up your accounts and don't know how to fix them. Trying to talk to a manager is the worst experience I have had!!! I would look somewhere else if I were you. You will spend more time on the phone trying to fix your site than it will be online. Buyer beware.

Original review: April 25, 2022

Hostgator is the most incompetent hosting provider I have ever dealt with. I inherited their hosting from a client and had to request support which required to have their "escalation" team to resolve an issue. The process is extremely slow and as I write this it's been over a week and our site is still not functioning. This fix is extremely easy on their site but yet I don't understand why it's taking so long for them to take care of it. I called in over 10 times and always get a template response of "Our escalation will get back to you". Our issue is absolutely an emergency but Hostgator obviously don't give a damn to their customer's concerns. Our escalation case is #**.

Original review: April 9, 2022

The billing: no refund after 45 days no matter how many months remaining. I purchased Hostgator shared hosting because was the chepest. They advertise $x.99 a month. I paid for a year and after struggles with support I decided it is not for me. When I canceled after only 4 months and asked for a refund for 8 or even 7 months they refused. They said they only refund me within 45 days of purchase. I told them I paid for 12 month and by canceling I am entitled for the money of the remaining months. They referred me to the 45 days return policy. They don't mention this on their plans. They advertise them as monthly but once you pay that's it.

The support: Their support join the chat quickly. Within 2 min but spend 5-10 min each time to review your account and tell you to wait 3-4 minutes multiple times. I had about 4 chats and only one time was good experience (when enquired about the static IP and so on). The other 3 were disasters. They asked me to verify a request by replying to an email. Their spam filter blocked my ** email every time I reply. The tech thinks it is my junk while I was telling them that I got the email but their server is rejecting it. They had no idea what to do. When I canceled, same thing, they put me on hold a lot then canceled my hosting. However, I asked to delete my account/login as well but they didn't do that. I cannot say their hosting is good or not, slow or fast but I can say I didn't notice anything bad to be honest. I do not recommend them due to not so good support and false advertising/billing.

HostGator Company Information