1.67/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 9, 2018

33 HostGator Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 9, 2018

I've been a customer with HostGator for over 7 years, and up until January of this year never had an issue. In fact, I had referred several clients and other agencies to them... However, in January, I received a series of emails from them saying my account was past due, and that in order to bring it current, I would need to send in a bank wire to cover the balance. I was confused by this, because my account had always been on auto pay through PayPal.

I looked back through my emails for the past 3-4 months, and saw that every month I had received 2 emails from HostGator, one saying that my payment was unsuccessful, and then immediately after, another one saying "thanks for your payment". I also checked with PayPal and saw that my billing agreement with them was still active. Perhaps, this is where I went wrong. As an extremely busy business owner, I assumed it was some sort of glitch in their system that was sending the emails, so I ignored it. Every payment processed through PayPal to other vendors had gone through successfully, and I had been on auto pay for 7 years so I wasn't worried about it.

A week later, my account was shut down (website, all business emails, etc) and they sent another email saying I needed to send a wire (not ACH, not credit card payment, but a wire from my bank). I called to find out if someone could explain what had happened, and why my billing was messed up despite everything showing okay on my end. Their representative had no explanation for the duplicate confusing emails that had been sent, and said that only their "billing administrator" could address billing issues and that this person was only available via email.

I emailed the billing administrator, and received a response a day later saying to send a wire, if I wanted my account to be reactivated, but he didn't provide any other details as to why it had been shut down to begin with. He said the total amount past due was $17. Mind you, as a customer of 7+ years I was confused why I couldn't make this $17 payment via card, and why they would shut a long time customer's account down over $17 (that shouldn't have been past due to begin with).

Regardless, I went to my bank, paid $35 for a $17 wire, and emailed them all the details including the fed wire number. I used to work for a bank, and know that wires arrive to the final institution on the same day as long as they're sent before 4 pm ET. Two days later and they were saying they still didn't have my wire, and that they "didn't research wires" and that I probably didn't put the right instructions.

Finally on the THIRD day, my account was reactivated. Still no explanation on why it took so long or WHY my account was shut down to begin with. Two weeks later, more emails from HostGator "billing administrator" saying my account was past due again, which wouldn't have been possible given that I had just paid. More emails back and forth, and still ZERO explanation why there was yet another balance. Once again, they're requiring a WIRE (another $35 through my bank), to cover the balance, or threatening to shut my account down. I'd like to reiterate again, that I'd been a customer for SEVEN YEARS with ZERO billing issues until this glitch happened.

Once again, sent a wire and paid another fee with my bank. Sent the wire instructions to their billing administrator, and also a series of questions inquiring when my account would be unrestricted so I could set up auto payments to pay like a REGULAR customer. Billing administrator never responded to my question about making regular payments on my account, and continued to completely ignore my questions about why my account was shut down to begin with. Fast forward to last week, and my monthly payment is due again. HostGator sends me an email telling me to log in to my customer dashboard and make a payment. I think, "Great, I can finally make regular payments again". Except when I log in to make a payment, it says, "Your account has been restricted, please send a wire payment."

At this point, I try a different route and try their customer service chat, to see if they can help. I explain to them what happened, that my account is restricted, and attempt to get information as to WHY and HOW we can get the account updated so I can MAKE A PAYMENT. I was trying to GIVE THEM money, and it seemed like an impossible feat. 20 minutes later after being on hold, the rep comes back to the chat, and tells me the EXACT same thing I already told her, "The account is restricted and you have to send a wire." She advises me to email the 'billing administrator' once again.

At this point, I go down to my bank, send ANOTHER wire to cover the next several months (I would have switched hosting accounts already if I didn't have a company working on my website. I fully intend to leave once it's done). I email the 'billing administrator' Friday afternoon with the wire instructions, including the Fedwire number. According to my bank, the wire reached their bank on Friday afternoon. Saturday morning my account was shut down AGAIN, despite them having my money. The billing administrator emailed me this morning, telling me their haven't received it (LIES), and completely ignored my questions about the account restrictions.

I'm beyond furious at this point, for the following reasons: I still have no idea why the auto payments stopped working to begin with. Had plenty of money in my bank account, PayPal agreement was active, etc. No one has any answers. If the account was truly past due, why did I receive emails every month saying 'thanks for your payment'. Again, no one has answers. When I attempt to resolve my account by sending wires (and paying massive wire fees), it takes them upwards of a week to apply it to my account, despite wires arriving same day! My account keeps getting shut down, despite payments being sent. Customer service is completely non-existent, and no one has been able to give me ANY answers about how to get the 'wires only' restriction off my account.

I'm sick of being treated like absolute garbage, as someone who's been a customer for over 7 years and has always paid on time. I have screenshots of emails, chats, wire payments I've made, and more to back up every single claim. I've dealt with hundreds of vendors since I opened my business, and I've never left a single negative review. This is by far the most atrocious service I've ever received anywhere!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Long story short, I was triple billed. Getting a refund was a nightmare. Now they email me a threat. If you counter dispute this, I will sue you for $200K. You triple charged us and I already cancelled with you, there are literally dozens of open tickets and emails and calls. Canceling was a nightmare to say the least. You people are so disorganized and incompetent it is comical. You are the worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life. You made my account balance go negative, and I got billed hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees. Am I going to get reimbursed? I am a volunteer for this organization and do not get paid. This is my personal debit card. Have a great day. STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY. SCAM SITE.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I recently switched from Bluehost to Hostgator, thinking the service would be more customer satisfaction oriented. I was wrong. I contacted them with a simple question about not having control panel access and all they wanted me to do was upgrade my account. I asked about another plan that would have suited me better and they totally dodged the question and kept pushing for me to upgrade what I had just bought. It was ridiculous. Why would I have to pay extra for the most basic service that they are supposed to provide? They wanted me to upgrade my current service instead allowing me to switch to a plan that was cheaper and gave me what I really needed. That's shady practice to say the least.

They didn't even try and help me out at all. So now I'm stuck with their service for a bit, but I can promise you that I will never buy another thing from Hostgator and will let people know what they are getting into when they buy their services. Never pay for something you don't understand and never be pressured into paying a company more instead of them actually helping out their customers. Good riddance. Bad service. These domain hosts are a dime a dozen now, so it doesn't make any sense to stick around.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I tried to contact them to make sure that I only purchased a domain using their online system and they didn't respond. They billed my credit card for monthly hosting charges anyway and when I called, they refused to credit my card back even though my request with the date was in their ticketing system. Instead, I got a lecture from the representative on which kind of ticket to select for which issue and that their ticketing system for some kinds of tickets isn't monitored. Therefore, they're keeping the money they STOLE from me!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! Use SiteGround or some other reputable organization.

Original review: March 22, 2018

AVOID USING HOSTGATOR! The service is really bad. I bought a plan for 3 years, and with almost 4 months time of using their service, they blocked my access to all websites under my shared account for couple of times now, I was told it was due to excessive usage of CPU. I didnt know they actually have this sort of limit even though I was told that I'll have unlimited under my shared plan. Then they will fix it but will take couple of days to have it fixed, very slow service, VERY BAD UNRELIABLE SERVICE. Guys don't ever consider hosting your website on HOSTGATOR except you want to experience a terrible service. Sadly, I did not read reviews before I purchase a plan. BEWARE of HOSTGATOR.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: March 7, 2018

I don't understand why people like this ** hosting company. Terrible customer service plus the payment process sucks. They took $40 for a $7 service due to some error and I'm still waiting for my refund. Not fair at all.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Subscribed to HostGator's basic business package (Hosting /Domain services), and no longer needed the domain name after 2 years. However, they auto-renew your domain if "you" do not turn off the feature, and keep your credit card on file. Well I noticed they did the auto-renewal "several weeks" ahead of my domain expiration date. When I contacted customer service, I was told, "Sorry we do not refund auto-renewals!" Well HostGator if that is your standard business practice/policy, you just lost a customer for life! I will be sure to let everyone I know about this, especially if they are looking for Hosting services!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Used to be a great company. Now they get hacked all the time, then ask you to provide your private bank information to confirm you are you and will not accept anything else. Hostgator does not care about their customers at all.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Really bad database. Error every day and so very often on my name server. I've contact them and they told there was problems on my site. What? My site is the same for 3 years! And when I tell them what's going on, they don't answer even I asked for 3 times. I beg them to tell me the truth, they says if I don't satisfy experience with them, go for private server plan (my site has only 400-600 people/day with about <10 GB bandwidth/month) or go for other hosting company. Very bad. Come try and never again!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

3 Years ago I purchased a 3 year domain hosting plan for my business. Without notice or consent, they charged me for an additional 3 years for $358.20 last month. I just noticed this as I was updating my business financials. Apparently, if you keep a card on file with HostGator, as a "customer convenience", they won't send you an invoice- they will just charge your card. When I called to request refund- I was told it was too late. I was told if I didn't want to be charged, I shouldn't keep a card on file!!! How can they charge a card without notification or consent? Bad business model.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

HostGator has one of the most awful customer services I ever got. I don't know if that's normal in servers providers, but the service as such (computers, servers, hardware) seems good and reliable, but the customer service is awful, it seems they treat you like you were a child or a dumb. It takes an eternity to reply to you, they don't have normal email tickets, just phone and chat, which takes a lot of time, and after waiting you get a bunch of ignorants trying to speak with you like you were a child. The big majority of the staff is technically very poorly qualified. All this big companies with all the "customer optimisation processes" treat clients like sheep. Strongly un-recommended. PS: Written after one hour with chat customer support and ZERO satisfaction. And I am a client for a long time! I just don't move due to the burden.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

HostGator my website host, advised that due to malware, my 3 websites were being removed and that I should contact Sitelock to have the malware removed. When I discovered that my 3 sites had been removed, I contacted Sitelock. They offered to solve the problem for several hundred dollars and tried to coax me into signing up for a 6 month contract. When I explored further, I discovered that this hoax between both companies is now widely documented on Twitter and other social media outlets. When I presented HostGator with the evidence, they finally relented and helped me remove the fake 'malware'. Beware both these companies - they are a nightmare to deal with and I am in the process of moving my sites to a new host.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I was pressured by HostGator into locking in a price for several years in order to save money overall. After one year, they're telling me that some services were only free for first year, and now I need to pay extra for two separate security features, sitelock and codeguard. I spent 15 minutes searching everywhere on their site trying to find out how to cancel or downgrade those services. They make it difficult on purpose. Then I went to chat and was notified all agents were busy. Finally after answering another 8-10 Qs, I got someone to chat with me. It took another 15 minutes for me to cancel both services because the agent wanted to scare me into thinking my site would get hacked without those services. I found on another site that there are free services that perform the same safety and security services. Ridiculous to make this so time consuming.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

We have an important site on HG and we have not been able to edit it for more than 10 days. We were using Weebly and their connection to Weebly is broken and they don't know how to fix it. One of our site admins called them more than 20 times and chatted over 25 times. They don't know how to solve this problem. HG used to be a good company -- not any more --- Our recommendation is STAY AWAY FROM HOST GATOR --- THEY HAVE NEW MANAGEMENT OR NEW PROCESS.

Original review: July 29, 2017

HostGator hosts the website of a violent Domestic Terrorist Group. This violent Domestic Terrorist Group is stalking and harassing me and other people online. I have repeatedly emailed and called HostGator requesting removal of the dangerous content, but they refuse. I was told over the phone by HostGator staff that Texas law permits HostGator to allow this dangerous content to be published. (HostGator is a Houston Company.) I believe HostGAtor is wrong and that online harassment is illegal according to Texas and Federal law. Hopefully law enforcement will force HostGator to remove the online harassment by this violent Domestic Terrorist Group.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have been out of town for Cancer treatment and when I get back I find that the company somehow got my NEW CC number and renewed my account. I don't know how they got a hold of my card but they did. Refuses to refund any monies at all.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Just registered a domain a week ago, but was told by their customer service today that they provide no refund even though I would like to cancel the domain. They told me to wait for a year for the domain to expire and there was nothing I can do about it. TMDHosting is providing a better hosting package with 60 day money back guarantee. I will not use HostGator ever again.

Original review: May 12, 2017

So they hacked my web page, they give it malware, the same day I get a letter from site lock who can fix my site. First they said 100$ then 75$. Now 45$ when they realize they targeted a site with no sales and a broke company. I am letting my site go. They destroyed what I built up... which wasn't much. This is how they treat their loyal customers. They even locked my control panel and my emails. Save your breath and find another host. I am filing complaints everywhere.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Any and all experience I have had with HostGator web services have been filled with false statements and poor customer service. The service is slow and provides limits on the speed and volume of data that can be handled by the service. In my humble opinion, HostGator is an inferior web service provider from the service I had with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

You know, there are good website hosting companies out there, there are average, there are bad... and then there are outright thieves. I am not talking about the: "Oh, they said I would get such-and-such for so much money per month, or a savings of such-and-such per year," then find out I'll have to buy something supplemental to get the deal; that just falls into the bad company practices category.

I am talking about a company who when you cancel your domain three months ago, have the website removed as they as a company were not willing to take responsibility for their own website building tools when said website crashed, saying since they will no longer be carrying that particular service you can instead buy one of their other ones and restart your website (no thanks) and are UN-hedging on the matter... then three months later CHARGE YOU for the dead website and EXTRA for the privacy protection, that is a stealing company.

So it is with hostgater.com. Laura ** saw the charge this morning so I called them, thus beginning the runaround about how they couldn't do anything about the charge for the website, but maybe for the protection plan. I at first patiently explained (for the 100th time) that the website didn't even exist, so why they hell are we being charged for it? Their answer: Because it is renewal time.

Now, I am not insane, but when I explained to them that this was not even a matter of refunding money because we didn't want their hosting services, but a matter of I was looking at the CANCELLATION right in front of me from three months ago, I felt like I was slipping into La La Land with this lady. I said "this is stealing – flat out theft. More so, bank fraud. If you charge someone's credit card for a service that doesn't exist, it's stealing." Why she pushed back on this, I have NO idea, but like I told her, this was her opportunity to get a hold of someone in the company and make this right before Laura gets involved. I am the nice one... believe me.

As I told the rep I spoke with (Rhonda) Hostgator may think they have Laura by the short-hairs, but they only think that. No one steals from her. Period.

Hostgator, I have never dealt with such an unprofessional and shyster company in my life. If you think you're going to get away with theft, which by taking money out of a checking account for nothing is exactly what this is, then all I can say is you've opened a Pandora's box you're going to wish you hadn't.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

We didn't have too many issues with HostGator when we utilized them, for hosting services, but when we did contact customer support they were always incredible. The web tools provided by HostGator were excellent and allowed us to create exactly what we needed to make our business shine. The tools were comprehensive and easy to use. HostGator offers a wide array of storage options which provides a fit for any size business' needs. Switching options when you need more or less storage is always easy. We have used other providers' web interfaces for config. HostGator's interface is by far the most user-friendly we have used, and provides a positive experience no matter your level of expertise.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

I'm going to be bluntly honest. These guys were perfect a couple of years ago. Now they're pure garbage. I've been trying to pay you with Amex, Visa, and MasterCard without avail, have numerous open tickets with your great "customer support" without avail, have opened a dozen chat rooms for the same purpose, without avail. The issue with this is simple. If you pay hosting for three years, and purchase an SSL certificate in GoDaddy, and try to install it in your hosting environment without a PayPal option, you can't. So you're potentially stuck with three years of a site with an expired SSL certificate. Calling them is useless as well. I strongly advise the public not to do business with Hostgator.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Very easy to get in touch with. They respond in a quick manner. Very polite. Always satisfied with their customer service. Very professional. Has some of the best tools for designing to make every project look its best and the most professional. Love their tools also. Great value. Very resourceful. It's a essential part of the program and a valuable piece of the service that I enjoy using more than other parts of the service. Great company. One of the best available. Very integrated to makes it easy to use for every user. Love the level of access to no issues or hassles along the way. It's easy to navigate also.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

The customer service for this website is very friendly and helpful. They make sure that they provide excellent and quality service to their customers. They are very professional and do their best to solve any problems that you may have. The design tools for this website are very unique compared to other similar websites. There is also a wide variety of tools that you can use. The storage options for this website are very good as well. The storage options are very organized and easy to use. It allows you to store all of your information in a very organized and easy to access location. This website is very easy to use. Everything is pretty self-explanatory, but there are help features that explain to you how to use everything. You definitely don't have to be tech savvy in order to use this website.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

The customer service was great. Not automated responses and very fast with getting back to me. They're thorough in answering questions and addressing all concerns. Loved the design tools. There were a lot of choices and very easy to understand. Simple for anyone to be able to understand, but the design doesn't look cheap. The storage options were incredible. Other domains completely limit storage, and you're left with not having all that you need. Whereas this domain company gives you plenty of storage for your needs. Ease of use is fantastic. Creating Web pages can be very difficult and time consuming. But it's made a lot easier with this domain company. Ease of use equals peace of mind.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I was a HostGator customer since 2009 and was decently happy up to the point where I wanted to upgrade my ecommerce platform in mid 2016. I looked at their plans online, found one I wanted, and called in. After asking some questions it became apparent that the price I would pay would be higher than advertised. I told the sales lady this will not work for me so she found a plan that is within my budget and will work for my technical needs. I told the sales lady exactly the software platform I intend to work on, Magento 2, and she told me that I would be able to make the changes needed to the server to get everything running correctly.

Over the next few weeks and after a few support tickets and support phone calls it turns out I am unable to make the changes needed to the server to allow Magento 2 to operate correctly. It took 4 phone calls ranging from 45 minutes to 85 minutes to get a refund for the payment I made to cover three years of hosting service. Several times I had to explain the situation from scratch that the sales lady was wrong and the plan does not fit my needs. Hostgator offers a 45 day full refund for any reason but I was at day 48. It tried to tell them I am not asking for a full refund just prorated refund because I was willing to pay for the time I used. When I called I was refused to be allowed to talk to a supervisor all four times. My last call was put through to 'Level II' and even then they had no authority to make decisions. That rep was friendly and talked to someone somewhere else at hostgator and they finally offered my a prorated refund.

As of now there is a ticket stating I will receive a prorated refund but I will know in about 5 to 10 business days if it is legitimate. Hostgator has become an extremely frustrating experience for me. Their hosting service has slowed down, their sales reps don't understand fully the needs of their customers, and they are starting to hide extra cost items in their packages.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

They were fine to host website. When needed new one built they did it. Took forever and many problems. Price was decent. But now you have problems and they don't fix right away and same cart problems, or cancel order problems occur. I was a loyal customer of HostGator for more than 15 years. The customer service has continued to deteriorate over time. Keeping customers waiting on hold for more than 30 minutes and then being served by a representative who is clearly dealing with many many customers at once - so that they are totally not focused on the customer, not focused on what the actual issue is and not focused on providing a solution - it is absolutely pathetic! Stay away from them.

This is the most dishonest company I have ever dealt with! They charge your account even when it's closed, add numerous auto check boxes that cost you a fortune, and auto set your account to renew and turn it on in the background. Avoid at all cost! They outsource their domains to another company who is some sort of shadowy figure of which there is no negotiation. The customer service sucks, and to top it off, their chat is ** unencrypted while asking you for login and password info to verify your account.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Great customer service. I got the help I needed to set up my website and I'm really happy about it. Now I get to enjoy my website. Thank you customer service. I enjoy the design tool. Very fun to use to tweak my website and it's very helpful. I think it's the best design tool than other webhost because others have a limit. It comes with great storage. I can store a lot of GB in there so I can use a lot of space to set up my website. I'm really happy with the storage. I found it very easy to use. Most of them are difficult to use but not this one. I know how to use everything and had no problem. Very happy with the ease.

Original review: July 4, 2016

HostGator has partnered with SiteLock. SiteLock is scanning all of HostGator's sites to find malware... They email you and have taken your site down, then want you to hire them to get rid of the infection, and sign up to monitor it monthly! I'm sure HostGator is making lots of money off of this scam. They told me which file was the malware, which I removed, and they put the site back up. After the site was restored, it was just a white screen! This has happened 3 times in the last few weeks... DON'T GET HOSTGATOR OR ANY HOSTING COMPANY THAT HAS SITELOCK ON THEIR SITE!! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I signed up on January 10 for a website hosting. Their system is outdated and doesn't work. I called 4 times, no one picks up the 24/7 phone. Waited 29 minutes. Last call I sent a cancellation request on their system and 2 days later I get an email saying "let's get started building your website." (I found out by a mutual friend that worked there that is a very small business and they have no staff member to help). DO NOT SING WITH THEM.

HostGator expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in more than 200 countries from its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It offers a variety of plans to meet different web hosting needs.

• You can host as many websites as you’d like: HostGator offers unlimited subdomains for one price, meaning you can host an infinite number of sites.

• Great email options: You have the ability to create as many email addresses as you need and can setup auto responders and email lists. Every email address comes with powerful anti-spam software.

• Lots of one-click app installs: You can install a large variety of apps to meet your website’s unique needs.

• No script library: Advanced users will be disappointed with the lack of script templates; they’ll have to code script from scratch.

• Customer service: In some cases, customers may have to wait for over an hour to speak to a customer service representative if they are having a problem.

• Control panel: It can take time to figure out how to navigate the controls.

• Best for: Small business owners and website hosting companies.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs