Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in multiple countries. Users can create an unlimited number of emails affiliated with their website. The control panel is easy to use, and the drag-and-drop website builder tool is straightforward. The basic Hatchling plan starts at $2.75 a month, and HostGator has a 45-day money-back guarantee.

HostGator Learn More

HostGator Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I previously had Hostgator about a year ago, and canceled as I was not using it for what I intended. I had no issues at that time. I then decided to reactive account in November of this year. I noticed that the domain name was incorrect, as it had com in the name twice(com.com) which was clearly an error on the reps part. I called and domain name was corrected. I then started getting marketing emails, text messages, and phone calls. I paid for the privacy protect whereas no one could see my profile.

I called in again and a rep advised that when the previous rep corrected the domain name they did not activate the privacy protect in which I paid for. The rep apologized and activated that feature, but I still getting tons of marketing communication since the information is already out there. This is unacceptable that you would allow someone’s personal information (name, address, phone number, email)to be out on websites for everyone to see when they paid for this not to happen.

Hi Lanae,

We have previously reached out and asked you for more information so that we can assist you with your concerns and we haven't heard back. Please respond and provide the primary email address on your account and the best phone number to reach you and we'll do our best for you! Thank you.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Last month, I entered into my second year of hosting with Hostgator. Yesterday, I received a phone call AND email stating that my website had been "infected with malware". Loooong story short, for just $200 a year, (I was only paying $67/year for them to host) they could "Fix it." Yeah. Talk about an "upcharge"!!! I told the "Security" guy to kill the whole ** thing, I'll start over! He stayed on the line for another 25 minutes trying his best to upsell. JD was his name. Do NOT fall for this scam. I used their "Website Creation" software and THEIR server (which he promised was secure (really???)) and yet I was still magically infected 22 days after I paid for another year. They can go to Hades in a hellbasket. Done. I'll host from my office. I just bought a Dell PowerEdge 2950 rack-mounted server.

Hi Ken,

Hackers are THE worst! We'd like to take a look at the situation and see what we can do to make things right. We've sent you a request here for more information so that we can find your account and hope that you will respond. We're looking forward to getting you all taken care of. Thanks.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I bought vps server in Sept. 2020. In Oct I got outmated email regarding my SSL going to expire on 12/2/20. From Oct to Nov 2020, I contacted them 4 times to confirm it if my SSL is renewed or not. First Level Tech support advised me it's all done. Now on 2nd of Dec my SSL expired on server and we can't access all websites on my server. Last 36 hours I am keep contacting them to fix issue still not done. Our customer frustrated because they can't run their business last 36 hours. Very poor service. Never recommend them, pay more and get better service.

Hello Harry,

Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns. We're going to investigate what happened in this matter and then an Escalations Manager will be in touch with you. Thank you for your patience.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I have recently volunteered for a charity organization and their website needs. Once I took over the admin side of things, I was shocked at how badly Hostgator has charged this group for things they did not need. And to top it off, the pricing for these unwanted features is ridiculous. Hostgator does nothing to be proactive to help the client. Its just accepts things as they are knowing full well that this client needs assistance. Unused packages, unnecessary features and packages all of which are being charged at a premium price. I am currently in the process of convincing client to move away from Hostgator and can guarantee that I can find a more suitable package elsewhere with proactive support. Do yourself a favour, choose someone else, and not hostgator.

Hi Alex,

Oh no! It sounds like there is a terrible misunderstanding going on here. We would love to chat about things we can do to to help reduce costs for the organization you're volunteering with. We've sent you a message requesting more information so we can get started on making things right. Thanks so much for your assistance in this matter.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I have a website that's 50+ GB in size and the largest, most complete of its type, in the world. The site requires credentials to view much of the content since an attack from Iran almost 3 years ago. Since then I have done 80 to 90 hours every week building filters for a firewall to limit traffic to just the US and Canada as that's all I can keep up with and the content MUST be secure and protected from ne'er-do-wells. I rely heavily on website traffic logs to finish this firewall build as they show me each contact from the outside. I've had HostGator hosting this site for years now and just recently their logging tool (AwStats) has been failing to provide any real time data. Numerous phone calls to them in the past week and a half have provided no fixes. I keep getting told "we have escalated this to the admin team". It's now been escalated 5 times and NOTHING is happening!

My website is offline for security reasons now as I have no access to real time data! Just now finished another call (just over an hour) to get another "escalating to the admin team. The problem is not in your Chanel, it's in the AwStats program". OK already! That's what I have been saying for 10 days! "OK, we'll escalate it to the admin team". You've done that 5 times already... and NOTHING is happening. VERY discouraging! I am hoping I don't have to move all my domains as it's expensive and a pain in the rear but aggravation is building rapidly! Make your choice of hosting companies carefully!

Hi Chris,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Unfortunately we have been able to find full resolution for this customer as AwStats is a third party company and we have no control over what they're doing. We've been in communication with Chris about this and feel we've done all we can. Thank you.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: July 5, 2020

Tried to move 28 TLDs including 8 websites from original ISP to Hostgator. 4 months later I'm transferring everything (other than 12 valuable domain names I lost due to Hostgator's negligence) out of Hostgator and will demand my money back. Their domain name display has ridiculous prompts and it is impossible to tell if the domain name has been transferred in or not. On prompt says to wait and try again later (to get current status info) or call us. I had over 40 chat interactions with assortment of CS people most of whom had to put me on hold to get a manager's help because these agents start all over with asking me what the problem is! Look at the previous freaking chats and get yourself up to date. What a circus.

I was actually told by an agent not to call again about my domain transfers (a retirement investment several TLDs were registered 20 years ago) and that they had me covered and would take care of transfers when they were free to transfer. So I did a Whois Lookup and found 12 TLDs were snapped up by two Chinese companies and other individuals. Hours of trying to log in to other ISPs to beg for my domains to be recovered. Hostgator's directors tried very hard to avoid responsibility but finally one stated the CS agent misspoke when I was told not to call again about the transfers because they "had me covered." She tried to pay me off with a deposit from Hostgator for 100 bucks! I told her I will not accept it and remove it from my account. I didn't fall for that cute trick to shut down the discussion of responsibility!

I just recently deleted all my data from Hostgator ( I think... haven't looked yet. They state it could take up to 3 days!) Ha! What a joke. Ask them about Launchpad.com. CS agents respond all over the place about that obscure little arrangement...they ARE NOT a part of Hostgator. Hey Hostgator: if I don't get a full refund I will get a lawyer and begin a lawsuit about your negligence in my loss of domain names not to mention downtime of several of my affiliate sites and about 100 hours of online work caused by frustrating nonsense, obfuscation, and delays. These people should not be permitted to be in business. Feel free to pass this on. T J **

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We are horribly disappointed by the service you received and that we apparently failed you. We would really like to dig more deeply into what happened so we can do better next time. We have sent you a private message requesting more information. Thank you.

We wish you well with your new provider.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: June 10, 2020

Hi, HostGator has me locked with their terms, etc. until next year, I know it is sad. I think Hostgator is the worst hosting company I have ever had in the last 22 yrs. It is extremely slow, the site will stop responding if you run a single forum on it. Got a hostgator account? Go on and do a speed test for your site at **. You will get an F. I can't even run any php script on it, the hosting will not respond. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on Hostgator!!!!

Hi Sam,

We'd love to take a look at what's going on with your site. If you would please respond to our request for more information that we sent here we'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: June 9, 2020

They do not have a free trial so you are forced to pick a plan immediately if you want to try them out. I saw they had a 45 day money back guarantee so I said decided to try it. After only trying it our for 30-45mins I found it was not user friendly for me and messaged them immediately asking for a refund. I was told they would refund me MOST of my money but had to charge me 17.99 for the "free" domain since I no longer want the hosting service. I told them I have no use for that domain and didn't need it to begin with. (They force you to pick a free one when you sign up for any package). Now that tells me they are out here scamming people for domains they don't actually need or want. PayPal got me my full refund back but beware if you think about trying it out because of the money back guarantee. It is not advertised and was never mentioned you would be charged for the domain if you cancel when checking out.

Hi Katelyn

We'd love to help get this settled for you. Please respond to our request for more information and we'll see what we can do. Thank you.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Having a problem with https:///autodiscover/autodiscover.xml returning results (when it shouldn't). As a result we can't configure newer versions of Outlook for multiple users. It took Microsoft to find the issue being caused by the site. We found a HostGator tech article which said the solution was easy - just set MX Entry to "Remote". When nothing was fixed, we found posting saying it takes HostGator up to 48 hours to implement. We waited 48 hours...nothing. So we started chat sessions over 4 days and keep being told "we're very busy - please wait for a 'few' more hours." We're now at day 6 with hours and hours wasted trying to get this fixed...still nothing. If you own a business - do yourself a favor, go elsewhere. HostGator is the BIGGEST mistake we have made with our site, and our user's email is still down (with Microsoft saying - nothing can be done till this is fixed).

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Our company's website was hacked right before we attended a national conference. When I first contacted them, the agent was very friendly and patient and promised that they would bring back our saved files soon, and would also recommend some security package. However, it has been over a week, no single progress has been made, and no recommendation and no answer!!! --- come on, we would like to pay!!! -- I have called 4 times, and every time, I had to explained the same story again and again, and have to wait for long time for each agent to pull out the files, and every time, I was told the problem would be resolved.

The third time when I was calling, the agent whose name is Emily, promised that it would be done by the end of the day and I could contact her anytime if the problem was still not being solved. I waited the next day and called in. Emily was not reachable and no responsive, so I had to repeat the whole story again to the 4th friendly agent. It has caused negative impact on our company's business. Yes, all their agents are very friendly, but don't be fooled by the friendly attitude and service survey, because at the end, what really matters is how efficient they can REALLY help you and solve your problem!!!

HostGator author review by ConsumerAffairs

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in more than 200 countries from its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It offers a variety of plans to meet different web hosting needs.

• You can host as many websites as you’d like: HostGator offers unlimited subdomains for one price, meaning you can host an infinite number of sites.

• Great email options: You have the ability to create as many email addresses as you need and can setup auto responders and email lists. Every email address comes with powerful anti-spam software.

• Lots of one-click app installs: You can install a large variety of apps to meet your website’s unique needs.

• No script library: Advanced users will be disappointed with the lack of script templates; they’ll have to code script from scratch.

• Customer service: In some cases, customers may have to wait for over an hour to speak to a customer service representative if they are having a problem.

• Control panel: It can take time to figure out how to navigate the controls.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team