3.6/5 (234 ratings)

About HostGator

HostGator is a web hosting platform with prices starting at $2.75 per month. Customers receive access to a multitude of website hosting options, including shared hosting and WordPress hosting. All sites come with a 99.9% uptime guarantee, free site transfers and free SSL certificates. Customers also receive a free domain for a year.

Pros

• Low prices
  • Many options
  • Uptime guarantee
  • Free domain for a year

Cons

• Limited backups
  • No staging

Bottom Line

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, including unlimited storage and low prices. Some packages have restrictions on staging and backups, but most customers will find its solutions fit their needs and budget.

What is HostGator?

HostGator is a website hosting company that offers services for individuals and businesses. It was founded in 2002 and has built out a massive portfolio of options and features for customers, ranging from domain name purchases to SEO tools.

HostGator offers many additional features, including one-click WordPress transfers, a free domain for a year, one-click app installs, unlimited storage and more.

Prices are pretty low for most hosting services, although some of the features are limited. For example, only one week of backup is available at a time. Stage cloning is also not available, which may be frustrating for some individuals.

How does HostGator work?

With HostGator, customers first need a domain name, which is free for a year for customers. After this is secured and registered, customers can use HostGator to host or create their website.

In some cases, users might prefer to build their website through HostGator’s services. Others will appreciate its WordPress abilities, including its one-click transfers and variety of customization options. You can browse HostGator’s tutorials to understand how to best launch and maintain your new website.

Each hosting type, which includes Shared, WordPress, VPS and dedicated hosting, has a few plans and pricing options. Some also include additional features, like free credit toward Google Ads and logo makers.

HostGator plans

HostGator has a few different plan options suited for different purposes. For example, Shared Hosting (one of its most popular plans) has three options: Hatchling, Baby and Business plans. The Hatchling plan starts at $2.75 per month and includes one website. The Baby plan starts at $3.50 per month and offers unlimited websites. The Business plan starts at $5.25 per month and comes with additional features like SEO tools, dedicated IP and more.

The rest of the hosting plans have three options as well, each with its own pricing and features included:

Website Builder
The Website Builder plans are designed to help create online stores. The three plans are Express Start, Express Site and Express Store, and they vary in the number of email campaigns per month and the number of products that can be added to the store. Prices start at $3.84 a month for the Express Start Plan, $5.99 a month for the Express Site plan and $9.22 a month for the Express Store plan.
WordPress Hosting
WordPress hosting lets you use the many features of WordPress through HostGator. Plans start at $5.95 a month for the Starter Plan, $7.95 a month for the Standard Plan and $9.95 a month for the Business Plan. More expensive plans let you run more sites and handle more visitors.
Dedicated Hosting
This plan gives you high levels of customization and flexibility with your own server. Prices vary depending on the speed and space available on the server. The Value Server plan starts at $89.98 a month, the Power Server plan starts at $119.89 a month, and the Enterprise Server plan starts at $139.99 a month.
VPS Hosting
HostGator’s Virtual Private Server Hosting sets up a virtual server that lets you easily scale up your virtual presence. HostGator offers three VPS Hosting plans: Snappy 2000 (starts at $19.95 a month), Snappy 4000 (starts at $29.95 a month) and Snappy 8000 (starts at $39.95 a month).
Reseller Hosting
Reseller Hosting lets you sell HostGator plans to your clients in return for a part of the proceeds. The three plans vary based on available disk space and bandwidth. The Aluminum Plan starts at $19.95 a month, and the Copper and Silver Plans start at $24.95 a month.

HostGator prices

Prices for service start at $2.75 per month for Shared Hosting. Customers who want to build their own website through its drag-and-drop service will pay at least $3.84 per month. Dedicated Hosting, its most expensive option, starts at $89.98 per month and comes with total server control.

These are all introductory offers, and prices will likely rise after the first year of service. In fact, many reviews on ConsumerAffairs mention increasing prices and unclear terms of future pricing information.

HostGator FAQ

Can I transfer my existing website to HostGator?
Yes. HostGator offers free content migration services within 30 days of service. Customers can also transfer their websites themselves.
What is HostGator’s bandwidth?
It depends on the type of hosting. WordPress, shared, dedicated and cloud hosting have unlimited bandwidth policies.
Will my HostGator site be secure?
Yes. All sites include a free SSL for the first 90 days of service. The free SSL certificate will automatically be available to every domain and subdomain for new and existing cPanel platform customers.
How do I create a website on HostGator?
The company’s Website Builder tool lets you create and launch a website in no time and includes additional features like logo makers and image libraries.

Is HostGator good?

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, ranging from unlimited storage with WordPress and Shared sites to SEO and logo optimization tools. Many of its introductory prices are appealing to new customers, although prices will likely rise after a year of service.

In some cases, customers might find its services don’t cover all of their needs, like those who need clone staging or unlimited backups — but for those who want support in creating and hosting a website or need unlimited bandwidth and storage for their site, the many features and benefits of these plans are very attractive.

HostGator Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: April 25, 2022

Hostgator is the most incompetent hosting provider I have ever dealt with. I inherited their hosting from a client and had to request support which required to have their "escalation" team to resolve an issue. The process is extremely slow and as I write this it's been over a week and our site is still not functioning. This fix is extremely easy on their site but yet I don't understand why it's taking so long for them to take care of it. I called in over 10 times and always get a template response of "Our escalation will get back to you". Our issue is absolutely an emergency but Hostgator obviously don't give a damn to their customer's concerns. Our escalation case is #**.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2022

The billing: no refund after 45 days no matter how many months remaining. I purchased Hostgator shared hosting because was the chepest. They advertise $x.99 a month. I paid for a year and after struggles with support I decided it is not for me. When I canceled after only 4 months and asked for a refund for 8 or even 7 months they refused. They said they only refund me within 45 days of purchase. I told them I paid for 12 month and by canceling I am entitled for the money of the remaining months. They referred me to the 45 days return policy. They don't mention this on their plans. They advertise them as monthly but once you pay that's it.

The support: Their support join the chat quickly. Within 2 min but spend 5-10 min each time to review your account and tell you to wait 3-4 minutes multiple times. I had about 4 chats and only one time was good experience (when enquired about the static IP and so on). The other 3 were disasters. They asked me to verify a request by replying to an email. Their spam filter blocked my ** email every time I reply. The tech thinks it is my junk while I was telling them that I got the email but their server is rejecting it. They had no idea what to do. When I canceled, same thing, they put me on hold a lot then canceled my hosting. However, I asked to delete my account/login as well but they didn't do that. I cannot say their hosting is good or not, slow or fast but I can say I didn't notice anything bad to be honest. I do not recommend them due to not so good support and false advertising/billing.

Original review: March 17, 2022

For the past 4-5 days my website keeps going down. Finally, I was told that it is due to abusive behavior by other users on the server. If Hostgator can't keep my website online, I should be able to get a refund for the remaining time on the plan so that I can go to another hosting company that's more reliable.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Are you aware that HostGator has a sister company called Gator Builder? I didn't realize this until I finally listened to my wife's constant nagging about monthly payments being deducted from our personal checking account. I know what you're going to say if you'd only listened to her the first time she told you. You wouldn't have to write about your experience. Yup! you're right... Maybe my pain can help someone else from doing what I did.

I had an open HostGator account that I'd had (2) domains parked and (1) active website. I secured an additional domain name for future use, thinking it was part of my HostGator account only to discover that I had secured the domain with the sister company Gator Builders. They charged me for the hosting service that I already had with HostGator Hatchling Plan. I tried to explain it to the customer service and all they were able to refund me was for the last month. Tried talking to the Escalation manager to see if I could get someone to understand why I should receive a refund further back than this month, and again nothing.

The Crazy thing was I could reach each of my accounts through the Hostgator website Hostgator.com logging in thru (Portal/ Website Builder). But when I tried to explain what happened all they told me was that it was their sister company and they didn't have access to those records. He was able to transfer me to the sister company not before he tried to sell me the Alum Plan for moving all my other sites over to HostGator. The bottom line here is clearly to listen to your wife the first time and don't procrastinate with looking into it. Lastly, don't do business with companies that arent willing to do the right thing. If they're more interested in the money than the customer... Run...!

Hey Ray,

We understand how this can be confusing. We are more than happy to help! We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and assist.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I have been with HostGator for many years, as in about 12. Ever since the company was sold to a large corporation, it's been a long, slow slide downhill. I've been designing websites for nearly 18 years. Tech support is a joke. Today I discovered the art site I spent YEARS building so people can license my art is done. They LOST the entire database that supported the site. I regret not backing that up. After 9 or 10 years of that site being online, it was never an issue. The site cannot function properly without the database they lost. ALL that work, just gone. I have the entire site sitting on my drive, but no time to modify it so that it might be able to run without the database. This was the second time this happened, but that last time they had the database backed up. Clearly they no longer back ANYTHING up!! I'm heading with my sites and my clients to a much better hosting company. Avoid HostGator like it's the black plague!!

Hey Melissa,

This is something we would love to investigate. If you could, please send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address and we will be happy to take care of this.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Will try to make it beneficial for you. Start learning... HostGator is not as good as you see in the reviews as compare to BlueHost, MochaHost, etc. *Not Sponsored* these are more secure and provide good services, each and every thing that you need to make your online presence. And not too much difference in prices as you have to go with them and you have to use a shared server just like property but there is no reselling :( [I never recommend you to purchase for 3 years]

Let me explain the problems of hostgatarians... If you are facing any of the issue, it is normal, most of their users have same complains. (UPVOTE it)

You will be good with them if you are using the single domain with shared hosting hahah and they do backups only for 100000 inodes (aprox. MySQL® Disk Usage 450 MB & Disk Usage 5 GB while they claim unlimited space to trap you -> today learn more about their traps) if you go double, 200000 inodes, CS will redirect you to TOS that they do not allow more space, lol as you are trapped. Bear Them now! They provide you extraordinary service for 45 days, why not, these days are money back guarantee days. After 45 days, now your time is started to plan to leave their services.

If you grow and reach to 3 GB disk storage and ready to go with your websites then it is time to get 500 IS error when you need to update the data and need to kill the processes each time and it will take 3x time. If you contact to the customer support, they will ask you to upgrade your server to the dedicated one or to VPS (believe me you will not face these problems with blue or mocha) its normal with HG my friend learn more...

After 3 months your website will be started to be infected by malwares and the email password will be started stolen. If you ask them to clean malwares that can be resolved by replacing the files...haha and they will recommend you to use sitelock (bcz they need commission) while making WP secure is so easy, you can have free and the best available plugins like Wordfence. You can keep secure your site by scanning and by using it.

About CSs all of their CS not knowledgeable, it's ok, as in team, it is difficult to filter the team members, and interesting they will never redirect the chat to the related department as Bluehost CSs. And each CS has different statement and I was unable to find teamwork within them, worse reality. And they will make changes to your Purchase without getting permissions from you. If you are planning to go with HG, please must think about your time and investment and try to get short term services if you want to test on your behalf and I recommend you to choose the one, provides you short term service like Mocha... or go with the best one Blue by closing your eyes.

Hey Khan,

We see you left the same review on another platform. We have reached out asking for more information so we can better assist. We attempted to look for a HostGator account but could not find one. Please feel free to reply back with more information or send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address and domain on the account and we will see how we can further assist as we are happy to do so!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Since the company has moved most of the services out of the United States, the service is terrible. Simple tasks with SEO purchases, website and email assistance has become a complete nightmare. Example, I notified HostGator of a cyber attack which was going to take affect two months before the attack was going to happen. I even provided the open hole of the cPanel path the attack was going to use. The IT department did nothing. The attack occurred. I do cyber security plus engineering. Just wanted to help. After the attack occurred, Hostgator said, the company waits until system failure, then react. Yikes, my advise. Stay away from hostgator.

Hey John,

We hate to hear you had such a poor experience. We would love to see how we can help and make things right. If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with the primary email address on the account and the domain, we will get to work right away.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I received an e-mail informing that my website is unavailable due to the high consumption of CPU. I did the adjustment on robots.txt to disallow indexing on the site like, following the Hostgator requirements on e-mail. That was the second time trying to solve the problem. I received the information that the admin would solve the problem the first time I contacted support. Now I chatted for almost two hours and received the information that the admin will solve the problem and there isn´t a deadline for that. I NEED to wait AGAIN and I don´t know how long it will be. That is a commercial website and that arbitrary decision from Hostgator is causing problems to my deal.

Hey Leonardo,

We would love to get this taken care of for you as soon as possible. If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address and the domain that is having issues, we will get to work right away!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I closed my account a year ago because they sold my info and I was inundated with calls, texts, and emails. A year later they bill me for services and sucked money out of my bank account. I called them and they 1)acknowledged my account was closed, 2)acknowledged that I don't use the domain 3)acknowledged that they see the refund from a year ago. However, they are unable to refund me for this charge because I already paid. What kind of nonsense is this???

Hey George,

We would love to take a look into this and make things right. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and settle this for you.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

I have purchased a Windows hosting plan and there was issue with domain name being registered and it got pointed to the hosting plan as well as attempting to add 2 other domains to the hosting plan. When communicated with support it was supposed to cancel the incorrect domain name and register the correct one and fix the hosting plan accordingly, they kept going on loop on how it takes 24/48 without taking any action to change and not even fix on the account was provided until it gets propagated accordingly and after 5 more communication with the support team they only changed the primary domain on the host to yet another incorrect one and only to get it right on the second.

After 2 days of going back and forth with them about it and refused to cancel the incorrect domain and told me it was non refundable while one of the support team said it will be cancelled as I requested the same day as the incorrect domain was registered yet there is another error to add the other 2 domains. When attempting to add them there is error produced "DNS Name already exists" while it's not showing in the Plesk to work on. When attempting to contact them again the response was, "Oh we don't support this service" which was Windows Plesk service and yet the issue persist to this day and not being solved. Every communication is "will add note to admins to help get it fixed" and yet no action is being taken.

Hey Hani,

We would love to take a look into this for you and see how we can help! If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address and the domains you are having issues with, we would be more than happy to take a look at this.

HostGator Company Information