HostGator

42%

Compare Web Hosting

Research top Web Hosting recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with HostGator:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I'm going to be bluntly honest. These guys were perfect a couple of years ago. Now they're pure garbage. I've been trying to pay you with Amex, Visa, and MasterCard without avail, have numerous open tickets with your great "customer support" without avail, have opened a dozen chat rooms for the same purpose, without avail. The issue with this is simple. If you pay hosting for three years, and purchase an SSL certificate in GoDaddy, and try to install it in your hosting environment without a PayPal option, you can't. So you're potentially stuck with three years of a site with an expired SSL certificate. Calling them is useless as well. I strongly advise the public not to do business with Hostgator.

Very easy to get in touch with. They respond in a quick manner. Very polite. Always satisfied with their customer service. Very professional. Has some of the best tools for designing to make every project look its best and the most professional. Love their tools also. Great value. Very resourceful. It's a essential part of the program and a valuable piece of the service that I enjoy using more than other parts of the service. Great company. One of the best available. Very integrated to makes it easy to use for every user. Love the level of access to no issues or hassles along the way. It's easy to navigate also.

The customer service for this website is very friendly and helpful. They make sure that they provide excellent and quality service to their customers. They are very professional and do their best to solve any problems that you may have. The design tools for this website are very unique compared to other similar websites. There is also a wide variety of tools that you can use. The storage options for this website are very good as well. The storage options are very organized and easy to use. It allows you to store all of your information in a very organized and easy to access location. This website is very easy to use. Everything is pretty self-explanatory, but there are help features that explain to you how to use everything. You definitely don't have to be tech savvy in order to use this website.

The customer service was great. Not automated responses and very fast with getting back to me. They're thorough in answering questions and addressing all concerns. Loved the design tools. There were a lot of choices and very easy to understand. Simple for anyone to be able to understand, but the design doesn't look cheap. The storage options were incredible. Other domains completely limit storage, and you're left with not having all that you need. Whereas this domain company gives you plenty of storage for your needs. Ease of use is fantastic. Creating Web pages can be very difficult and time consuming. But it's made a lot easier with this domain company. Ease of use equals peace of mind.

I was a HostGator customer since 2009 and was decently happy up to the point where I wanted to upgrade my ecommerce platform in mid 2016. I looked at their plans online, found one I wanted, and called in. After asking some questions it became apparent that the price I would pay would be higher than advertised. I told the sales lady this will not work for me so she found a plan that is within my budget and will work for my technical needs. I told the sales lady exactly the software platform I intend to work on, Magento 2, and she told me that I would be able to make the changes needed to the server to get everything running correctly.

Over the next few weeks and after a few support tickets and support phone calls it turns out I am unable to make the changes needed to the server to allow Magento 2 to operate correctly. It took 4 phone calls ranging from 45 minutes to 85 minutes to get a refund for the payment I made to cover three years of hosting service. Several times I had to explain the situation from scratch that the sales lady was wrong and the plan does not fit my needs. Hostgator offers a 45 day full refund for any reason but I was at day 48. It tried to tell them I am not asking for a full refund just prorated refund because I was willing to pay for the time I used. When I called I was refused to be allowed to talk to a supervisor all four times. My last call was put through to 'Level II' and even then they had no authority to make decisions. That rep was friendly and talked to someone somewhere else at hostgator and they finally offered my a prorated refund.

As of now there is a ticket stating I will receive a prorated refund but I will know in about 5 to 10 business days if it is legitimate. Hostgator has become an extremely frustrating experience for me. Their hosting service has slowed down, their sales reps don't understand fully the needs of their customers, and they are starting to hide extra cost items in their packages.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

They were fine to host website. When needed new one built they did it. Took forever and many problems. Price was decent. But now you have problems and they don't fix right away and same cart problems, or cancel order problems occur. I was a loyal customer of HostGator for more than 15 years. The customer service has continued to deteriorate over time. Keeping customers waiting on hold for more than 30 minutes and then being served by a representative who is clearly dealing with many many customers at once - so that they are totally not focused on the customer, not focused on what the actual issue is and not focused on providing a solution - it is absolutely pathetic! Stay away from them.

This is the most dishonest company I have ever dealt with! They charge your account even when it's closed, add numerous auto check boxes that cost you a fortune, and auto set your account to renew and turn it on in the background. Avoid at all cost! They outsource their domains to another company who is some sort of shadowy figure of which there is no negotiation. The customer service sucks, and to top it off, their chat is ** unencrypted while asking you for login and password info to verify your account.

Great customer service. I got the help I needed to set up my website and I'm really happy about it. Now I get to enjoy my website. Thank you customer service. I enjoy the design tool. Very fun to use to tweak my website and it's very helpful. I think it's the best design tool than other webhost because others have a limit. It comes with great storage. I can store a lot of GB in there so I can use a lot of space to set up my website. I'm really happy with the storage. I found it very easy to use. Most of them are difficult to use but not this one. I know how to use everything and had no problem. Very happy with the ease.

HostGator has partnered with SiteLock. SiteLock is scanning all of HostGator's sites to find malware... They email you and have taken your site down, then want you to hire them to get rid of the infection, and sign up to monitor it monthly! I'm sure HostGator is making lots of money off of this scam. They told me which file was the malware, which I removed, and they put the site back up. After the site was restored, it was just a white screen! This has happened 3 times in the last few weeks... DON'T GET HOSTGATOR OR ANY HOSTING COMPANY THAT HAS SITELOCK ON THEIR SITE!! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

I signed up on January 10 for a website hosting. Their system is outdated and doesn't work. I called 4 times, no one picks up the 24/7 phone. Waited 29 minutes. Last call I sent a cancellation request on their system and 2 days later I get an email saying "let's get started building your website." (I found out by a mutual friend that worked there that is a very small business and they have no staff member to help). DO NOT SING WITH THEM.

I purchased a website on Saturday, 13 December 2014. Up till today, I'm still battling to get the account verified so that I can start building my website. I've phoned the customer care, I've send numerous emails, but still no joy. They say that they've received everything, I must wait 24 - 48 hours for them to activate the website. It's now 72 hours.

I've bought the hosting on November 14. It's 15 December today. I've set a primary which I wanted to change later, but they've asked me to pay for it... Every time they tell you the charges without taxes and suddenly you got shocked after watching the increased prices. But the question is, why would you pay for changing your primary domain? Note it's your panel - you do what you want to do... On top of it... Why would you need their permission again for every single thing??? It's been a month and I am nowhere because of this company. I am sure they will be doing it with every customer...

I change from GoDaddy all of my account about 7 in total. It was the worse night mare. I try to cancel one of those account and I had pay for one year. When they see that you have money left on your account they try to keep the money, they do prorating and what ever else they can come out with as an excuse to keep your money. I got so upset I pull all of my accounts from them and ended up losing about $200.00 dollars in one single month. What ever you do, even if there is only one company out there don't ever use hostgator. They will suck every penny out of you trust me. I don't want you to be a another victim.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in more than 200 countries from its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It offers a variety of plans to meet different web hosting needs.

• You can host as many websites as you’d like: HostGator offers unlimited subdomains for one price, meaning you can host an infinite number of sites.
  • Great email options: You have the ability to create as many email addresses as you need and can setup auto responders and email lists. Every email address comes with powerful anti-spam software.
  • Lots of one-click app installs: You can install a large variety of apps to meet your website’s unique needs.
  • No script library: Advanced users will be disappointed with the lack of script templates; they’ll have to code script from scratch.
  • Customer service: In some cases, customers may have to wait for over an hour to speak to a customer service representative if they are having a problem.
  • Control panel: It can take time to figure out how to navigate the controls.
  • Best for Small business owners and website hosting companies.

Compare Web Hosting