Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in multiple countries. Users can create an unlimited number of emails affiliated with their website. The control panel is easy to use, and the drag-and-drop website builder tool is straightforward. The basic Hatchling plan starts at $2.75 a month, and HostGator has a 45-day money-back guarantee.

HostGator Learn More

Unsubscribe at any time.

HostGator Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I have a website that's 50+ GB in size and the largest, most complete of its type, in the world. The site requires credentials to view much of the content since an attack from Iran almost 3 years ago. Since then I have done 80 to 90 hours every week building filters for a firewall to limit traffic to just the US and Canada as that's all I can keep up with and the content MUST be secure and protected from ne'er-do-wells. I rely heavily on website traffic logs to finish this firewall build as they show me each contact from the outside. I've had HostGator hosting this site for years now and just recently their logging tool (AwStats) has been failing to provide any real time data. Numerous phone calls to them in the past week and a half have provided no fixes. I keep getting told "we have escalated this to the admin team". It's now been escalated 5 times and NOTHING is happening!

My website is offline for security reasons now as I have no access to real time data! Just now finished another call (just over an hour) to get another "escalating to the admin team. The problem is not in your Chanel, it's in the AwStats program". OK already! That's what I have been saying for 10 days! "OK, we'll escalate it to the admin team". You've done that 5 times already... and NOTHING is happening. VERY discouraging! I am hoping I don't have to move all my domains as it's expensive and a pain in the rear but aggravation is building rapidly! Make your choice of hosting companies carefully!

Original review: July 5, 2020

Tried to move 28 TLDs including 8 websites from original ISP to Hostgator. 4 months later I'm transferring everything (other than 12 valuable domain names I lost due to Hostgator's negligence) out of Hostgator and will demand my money back. Their domain name display has ridiculous prompts and it is impossible to tell if the domain name has been transferred in or not. On prompt says to wait and try again later (to get current status info) or call us. I had over 40 chat interactions with assortment of CS people most of whom had to put me on hold to get a manager's help because these agents start all over with asking me what the problem is! Look at the previous freaking chats and get yourself up to date. What a circus.

I was actually told by an agent not to call again about my domain transfers (a retirement investment several TLDs were registered 20 years ago) and that they had me covered and would take care of transfers when they were free to transfer. So I did a Whois Lookup and found 12 TLDs were snapped up by two Chinese companies and other individuals. Hours of trying to log in to other ISPs to beg for my domains to be recovered. Hostgator's directors tried very hard to avoid responsibility but finally one stated the CS agent misspoke when I was told not to call again about the transfers because they "had me covered." She tried to pay me off with a deposit from Hostgator for 100 bucks! I told her I will not accept it and remove it from my account. I didn't fall for that cute trick to shut down the discussion of responsibility!

I just recently deleted all my data from Hostgator ( I think... haven't looked yet. They state it could take up to 3 days!) Ha! What a joke. Ask them about Launchpad.com. CS agents respond all over the place about that obscure little arrangement...they ARE NOT a part of Hostgator. Hey Hostgator: if I don't get a full refund I will get a lawyer and begin a lawsuit about your negligence in my loss of domain names not to mention downtime of several of my affiliate sites and about 100 hours of online work caused by frustrating nonsense, obfuscation, and delays. These people should not be permitted to be in business. Feel free to pass this on. T J **

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: June 10, 2020

Hi, HostGator has me locked with their terms, etc. until next year, I know it is sad. I think Hostgator is the worst hosting company I have ever had in the last 22 yrs. It is extremely slow, the site will stop responding if you run a single forum on it. Got a hostgator account? Go on and do a speed test for your site at **. You will get an F. I can't even run any php script on it, the hosting will not respond. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on Hostgator!!!!

Original review: June 9, 2020

They do not have a free trial so you are forced to pick a plan immediately if you want to try them out. I saw they had a 45 day money back guarantee so I said decided to try it. After only trying it our for 30-45mins I found it was not user friendly for me and messaged them immediately asking for a refund. I was told they would refund me MOST of my money but had to charge me 17.99 for the "free" domain since I no longer want the hosting service. I told them I have no use for that domain and didn't need it to begin with. (They force you to pick a free one when you sign up for any package). Now that tells me they are out here scamming people for domains they don't actually need or want. PayPal got me my full refund back but beware if you think about trying it out because of the money back guarantee. It is not advertised and was never mentioned you would be charged for the domain if you cancel when checking out.

Original review: April 1, 2020

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!! MADE ME DOWNLOAD VIRUS. Firstly I bought cloud hosting for 3 years. I have never wanted to smash my computer up. Wanted to do a simple back up of my website. After 2 days of trying to chat to staff and a phone call where an agent tried to make me pay an additional $35 dollars and staff made me download a virus to my computer, I am still left short-handed. Do not bother with these absolute thieving cowboys. They will try and blame the lack of service to Covid-19, do not believe them! I have been waiting for over 2 days with countless staff disconnecting me and passing me on to others. I have literally spoke to around a dozen staff. Stuck and defeated and with no back up gaining a virus on my very expensive hardware which HostGator staff advised me to download. I have to share my experiences while I am losing money by paying a freelancer because staff won't do their job.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Having a problem with https:///autodiscover/autodiscover.xml returning results (when it shouldn't). As a result we can't configure newer versions of Outlook for multiple users. It took Microsoft to find the issue being caused by the site. We found a HostGator tech article which said the solution was easy - just set MX Entry to "Remote". When nothing was fixed, we found posting saying it takes HostGator up to 48 hours to implement. We waited 48 hours...nothing. So we started chat sessions over 4 days and keep being told "we're very busy - please wait for a 'few' more hours." We're now at day 6 with hours and hours wasted trying to get this fixed...still nothing. If you own a business - do yourself a favor, go elsewhere. HostGator is the BIGGEST mistake we have made with our site, and our user's email is still down (with Microsoft saying - nothing can be done till this is fixed).

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Our company's website was hacked right before we attended a national conference. When I first contacted them, the agent was very friendly and patient and promised that they would bring back our saved files soon, and would also recommend some security package. However, it has been over a week, no single progress has been made, and no recommendation and no answer!!! --- come on, we would like to pay!!! -- I have called 4 times, and every time, I had to explained the same story again and again, and have to wait for long time for each agent to pull out the files, and every time, I was told the problem would be resolved.

The third time when I was calling, the agent whose name is Emily, promised that it would be done by the end of the day and I could contact her anytime if the problem was still not being solved. I waited the next day and called in. Emily was not reachable and no responsive, so I had to repeat the whole story again to the 4th friendly agent. It has caused negative impact on our company's business. Yes, all their agents are very friendly, but don't be fooled by the friendly attitude and service survey, because at the end, what really matters is how efficient they can REALLY help you and solve your problem!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

On an article about good host servers, HostGator came up. I decided to take a chance and closed my account with ipage. Well....23 days later, STILL NO WEBSITE!!!! I have been on the chat with not 1, not 2, not 3, but about 6-7 tech support guys. They keep saying: "you're a priority; you're Tier 3." Whatever, it's not done. 23 days is like multiple eras when you consider cyberspace. I don't know who is Hostgator, but I'm beginning to think it's a bunch of teenagers taking my money, making promises until they can no longer bleed me. I feel so DUMB trusting them. No adult would run a business like this!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

As others have said already... They will infect your website with malware, suspend it and try to charge for clean up. If you clean it up yourself, they will NOT remove suspension and will basically hold ransom for your website. Avoid them and all EIG owned (read about it if you don't know what it is) hosting services.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2019

HostGator customer service had called and resolved the situation by proceeded with a refund. Their CS was courteous and professional. I have updated the rating from 1 star to the 3 stars because of billing itself should not have occurred.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Just like other ill-intent corporate entities out there, HostGator billed me without my consent on their marketing partners service (constant contact, to be exact).

This company is not to be trusted. I had to remove my billing information just so they cannot bill me without my acknowledgement.

HostGator author review by ConsumerAffairs

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in more than 200 countries from its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It offers a variety of plans to meet different web hosting needs.

• You can host as many websites as you’d like: HostGator offers unlimited subdomains for one price, meaning you can host an infinite number of sites.

• Great email options: You have the ability to create as many email addresses as you need and can setup auto responders and email lists. Every email address comes with powerful anti-spam software.

• Lots of one-click app installs: You can install a large variety of apps to meet your website’s unique needs.

• No script library: Advanced users will be disappointed with the lack of script templates; they’ll have to code script from scratch.

• Customer service: In some cases, customers may have to wait for over an hour to speak to a customer service representative if they are having a problem.

• Control panel: It can take time to figure out how to navigate the controls.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team