Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

HostGator Reviews

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Having a problem with https:///autodiscover/autodiscover.xml returning results (when it shouldn't). As a result we can't configure newer versions of Outlook for multiple users. It took Microsoft to find the issue being caused by the site. We found a HostGator tech article which said the solution was easy - just set MX Entry to "Remote". When nothing was fixed, we found posting saying it takes HostGator up to 48 hours to implement. We waited 48 hours...nothing. So we started chat sessions over 4 days and keep being told "we're very busy - please wait for a 'few' more hours." We're now at day 6 with hours and hours wasted trying to get this fixed...still nothing. If you own a business - do yourself a favor, go elsewhere. HostGator is the BIGGEST mistake we have made with our site, and our user's email is still down (with Microsoft saying - nothing can be done till this is fixed).

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Our company's website was hacked right before we attended a national conference. When I first contacted them, the agent was very friendly and patient and promised that they would bring back our saved files soon, and would also recommend some security package. However, it has been over a week, no single progress has been made, and no recommendation and no answer!!! --- come on, we would like to pay!!! -- I have called 4 times, and every time, I had to explained the same story again and again, and have to wait for long time for each agent to pull out the files, and every time, I was told the problem would be resolved.

The third time when I was calling, the agent whose name is Emily, promised that it would be done by the end of the day and I could contact her anytime if the problem was still not being solved. I waited the next day and called in. Emily was not reachable and no responsive, so I had to repeat the whole story again to the 4th friendly agent. It has caused negative impact on our company's business. Yes, all their agents are very friendly, but don't be fooled by the friendly attitude and service survey, because at the end, what really matters is how efficient they can REALLY help you and solve your problem!!!

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

On an article about good host servers, HostGator came up. I decided to take a chance and closed my account with ipage. Well....23 days later, STILL NO WEBSITE!!!! I have been on the chat with not 1, not 2, not 3, but about 6-7 tech support guys. They keep saying: "you're a priority; you're Tier 3." Whatever, it's not done. 23 days is like multiple eras when you consider cyberspace. I don't know who is Hostgator, but I'm beginning to think it's a bunch of teenagers taking my money, making promises until they can no longer bleed me. I feel so DUMB trusting them. No adult would run a business like this!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

As others have said already... They will infect your website with malware, suspend it and try to charge for clean up. If you clean it up yourself, they will NOT remove suspension and will basically hold ransom for your website. Avoid them and all EIG owned (read about it if you don't know what it is) hosting services.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2019

HostGator customer service had called and resolved the situation by proceeded with a refund. Their CS was courteous and professional. I have updated the rating from 1 star to the 3 stars because of billing itself should not have occurred.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Just like other ill-intent corporate entities out there, HostGator billed me without my consent on their marketing partners service (constant contact, to be exact).

This company is not to be trusted. I had to remove my billing information just so they cannot bill me without my acknowledgement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

HostGator SUCKs!! - They have zero support. I purchased their business cloud plan ($9.95/mo) for long term period - 2 years, by reading some reviews that they provide good services. But then suddenly they blocked my server without any prior notification. Upon contacting their chat support (which has 0 star knowledge) I found that they blocked me due to resources limit. Now I want to mention that I was hosting around 5 sites on that cloud hosting with very small traffic but if their business cloud hosting plan can not handle this then HostGator is totally useless.

Further I immediately transferred my 4 sites to other hosting and contact HostGator chat support again to remove server restrictions because now their server was handling just 1 website. But they didn't provide any solution for 4 days. If due to any restrictions they block your server then be ready for a 4 days downtime for your website because their support SUCKs! They don't care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

HostGator has good support response rate, which is how they brand and differentiate themselves from other sites (good English speaking support personnel - nothing more). However they have very low level skill sets of technical employees. They likely use offshore freelancers in India or China, you never speak to technical team directly and it takes weeks to receive updates, which is usually direct indication of direct offshoring. My experience indicates that they are basically offshore company with US shell and accounting. If they use some local resources, who they pretend to be employees (likely not true) they exhibit low knowledge and appear to be teenagers with no technical knowledge of the subject. I would be very careful dealing with this company. Number of times they erased my website, did incorrect restoration, have multiple service issues. It is never ending story and I am planning to switch back to GoDaddy.

Leonard

Original review: July 28, 2019

I canceled my hosting package and requested an A record to be changed, to another provider about 10 days before the next billing cycle.

1. Hostgator still billed me after cancelling.
          2. Hostgator Said they transferred A record to the new host 3 times times.

3. Then I requested the domain to be transferred to another host still nothing.

As a result, my site has been down for 5 days, we have received no calls from the site and 3 families have lost a weeks worth of wages.

Original review: July 16, 2019

They'll eventually turn on you and force you to upgrade your plan, even though you've done steps to optimized your sites. If you don't, they'll limit your URL accessibility and eventually kill them. You won't even be able to login on your own WordPress admin. I'm pretty sure they only implemented the 25% maximum CPU usage rule for shared plans this year and I should've read the terms first before renewing. I've been with this company for almost a decade now and this is what I get. Horrible experience. Won't renew again.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Over a week ago I began transferring my domain from my previous hosting provider to HostGator. The problems began when I first gave them the EPP code from my previous hosts. They claimed it invalid, even though previous host Just Host said it worked for them. 3 days later, Just Host issues a new code, it works and I think, great. Now in a couple of days for the transfer to go through I can go in and redesign my website. I try to use HostGator's own website builder, but it won't allow me to choose a template, I'm told tech support will work on it.

Then a few days later, with no progress and checking twice daily with customer service I get an email telling me they don't know how long it will take to fix the problem, so I wrote them a response describing my issues with their technology and stating that there shouldn't be a problem using their own website builder as a person who was building their first website with them would face the same issues and that they should know how to fix it quickly! No response in yet another 24 hours! Lousy service, Lousy hosts! Whoever rated them top 10, should get their heads examined or perhaps they meant the top 10 worst hosts, ever!

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

HostGator expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in more than 200 countries from its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It offers a variety of plans to meet different web hosting needs.

• You can host as many websites as you’d like: HostGator offers unlimited subdomains for one price, meaning you can host an infinite number of sites.

• Great email options: You have the ability to create as many email addresses as you need and can setup auto responders and email lists. Every email address comes with powerful anti-spam software.

• Lots of one-click app installs: You can install a large variety of apps to meet your website’s unique needs.

• No script library: Advanced users will be disappointed with the lack of script templates; they’ll have to code script from scratch.

• Customer service: In some cases, customers may have to wait for over an hour to speak to a customer service representative if they are having a problem.

• Control panel: It can take time to figure out how to navigate the controls.

• Best for: Small business owners and website hosting companies.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team