1.40/5

65 HostGator Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

Over a week ago I began transferring my domain from my previous hosting provider to HostGator. The problems began when I first gave them the EPP code from my previous hosts. They claimed it invalid, even though previous host Just Host said it worked for them. 3 days later, Just Host issues a new code, it works and I think, great. Now in a couple of days for the transfer to go through I can go in and redesign my website. I try to use HostGator's own website builder, but it won't allow me to choose a template, I'm told tech support will work on it.

Then a few days later, with no progress and checking twice daily with customer service I get an email telling me they don't know how long it will take to fix the problem, so I wrote them a response describing my issues with their technology and stating that there shouldn't be a problem using their own website builder as a person who was building their first website with them would face the same issues and that they should know how to fix it quickly! No response in yet another 24 hours! Lousy service, Lousy hosts! Whoever rated them top 10, should get their heads examined or perhaps they meant the top 10 worst hosts, ever!

Original review: June 12, 2019

We are working with them since long, but whenever we face issue in website due to any changes by their side, they charge us to make it fine. On 29th May 2019 morning hours my website stopped working. I called up them, they said you deleted few files from file manager. I checked the log of login details and everything because why should I do that, but my all logs were there of last year even last 4 years. They removed all current trash, caches and logs of May month. I asked them backup for those, they charged me a good amount and provided every garbage just my required files were not there. Then I came to reviews after spending 10 day on them, lot of customers faced same issues. They delete the files, down the website, make changes on their own and charge their clients. All the current files has gone. Now I have to work hard on the website to make it again, but not with them for sure.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2019

We have not been able to send email for a week and contacted DescriptionHostGator support 3 days ago and still cannot get any status on the progress of resolving this problem other than that they are still working on it. We are sure that the problem is on their end and that has been verify and confirmed. We have tried phone support and online support and not a single update provided. HostGator does not have a method of checking the status of a case ID on any of their customer control panels (Billing or general control panels) so you are forced to call or waste your time using online chat.

They don't have the courtesy of sending any emails on the case progress and keep you intentionally in the dark. When the mail system works, it's great, but when you have an issue, then forget about being treated decently. Anyone that has administered a mail server running on Linux knows how easy it is to trace mail traffic so this is not rocket science these days. We have asked to be moved to a different mail server (shared IP) and they will not do it. Their hosting packages are very attractive but do yourselves a solid and run to get your hosting services somewhere else.

Original review: April 4, 2019

From the moment you sign on with them, they start warning that if you don't pay for the extra malware protection, your site could be infected. Guess what. They will infect your site and then shake you down for extra fees. STAY FAR FAR AWAY.

Original review: March 27, 2019

When it works they are great. When it does not they are horrid. 7+ days with no responses to support tickets when site is down because they shut it off. Vague messages at shutoff that give you virtually no details, Front line support shields Admins so you can never talk to someone dealing with the actual server. Long time customer that has hung with them a long time will be leaving on next renewal... and while mentioning that, they give 50-80% discounts to new customers. NOT to current customers who have been with them. So get deal at first and lock in as long as you can because at renewal it it full retail rates which are NOT competitive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: March 22, 2019

As with the other users HostGator shut down my 5 websites without warning over overuse of resources. This happened over Christmas 2018 when our offices had been closed for 10 days. Only after threatening them with legal action did they turn the websites back on. Now on March 18th 2019 ALL our emails stopped working. I contacted customer support at least once a day. Was promised multiple times the problem was fixed. All the emails sent or receive have been lost without any notice to the sender that our email was down. Worst company ever. NEVER do business with them.

Original review: March 21, 2019

HostGator shut my site down without notice. Then sent message that it was using too many resources on server. But then would not answer any of my emails. Site was down for days even after I made changes.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The migration admins were support to migrate a few domains including 250+ email users with a deadline. They had done it halfway through even with a hard deadline set. The users were left with no email access for days. They just ended up passing me around and sending me self-help article links. Worst tech support I've had in years, especially after paying for a VPS server.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

So SiteLock decides that my websites were infected, I run scanners by SiteLock. I pay SiteLock, I find out that the "Virus" was my own files, I cancel the scanners. Meanwhile, HostGator charges me $187 out of nowhere for the same service and denies to refund me because I noticed too late. Here is their reply after calling both companies endlessly.

"Hello, I am sorry to know you wish to cancel SiteLock Prevent. We have canceled the 'SiteLock Prevent' for the domain 'devilsfruits.com'. You will no longer be billed to this service. I would like to inform you that according to our Terms of Service, the add-on services that are purchased are non-refundable. Once it is activated, we are unable to issue refund for the payment made. If you have any queries, please let us know." I still don't have an invoice about this charge, still don't know how I purchased it and it is supposed to run for 12 months. So they cancel the next 11 months and keep the money. I would like to sue HostGator and SiteLock for dishonesty but is it worth my time?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

On Thursday 1/10/2019 HostGator upgraded the server running the website. As a result 7 databases went corrupt because they were imported with the wrong encoding apparently. A subdomain does not work, and the php suites are behaving strangely. The site sometimes work, sometimes not, sometimes switches the language, and we have no idea why. In addition all the emails are marked as unread, so our employees does not know which emails they checked and which they did not which is making them repeat lots of work.

Contacted support multiple times via chat and international calls, who fixed only one database at first. Had to contact them again in order to six the other databases - which they finally did today 1/14/2019- Still the subdomain not working and the websites still showing php errors and strange behavior. The response time for the support team is too slow. I could not talk to the support team directly. We got no notification that the server will be upgraded. Still waiting for them to fix the sites.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

WE signed up to do a Company website for our business. The cost was $32.85 a month. Everything was fine for a month or two but last month they added a charge Of $20 plus the original $32.85. I called to ask why and told them to credit me the $20 because I didn't ask for whatever they was charging that for. Well I called today because my wife discovered our Website was gone. The Rep told me our Website was cancelled. I told her again I called last time and they told me they would refund the $20 (not everything and close account). I asked her what they could do since I didn't cancel. She said "You would have to start all over!!!"

I told her, "If that's the case we would go somewhere else - Good-bye and thanks for nothing!" Kinda stupid to close someone's account that they didn't request and lose business!! PS. I should've looked more closely at reviews. All I saw today was 1 STARs that says a lot! Wasted time with this Company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have screenshots of all live chats and broken website logs on request. HostGator decided to upgrade my shared server without notifying me: **. They upgraded Plesk, again didn't tell me anything, no emails, no alerts, no posts, NOTHING! Problems: - Due to this upgrade, my website went down immediately, I had to find out about this by myself. My emails no longer worked. My databases also went down due to permissions issues. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) - (MYSQL and MSSQL) - MSSQL BROKEN. My PHP webs no longer work, they display theme errors. I believe this is because they have upgraded their plugins WITHOUT contacting me. Now my MediaWIKI themes throw errors.

I contacted customer support four times in total. As it's a Windows server, they offer ZERO support for these servers via live chat, and instead, they have to relay emails to a separate team that cannot talk to me. I have to wait 24 hours for an email back. Thu, Jan 10, 12:24 AM After 24 hours, Jason ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "I apologize, as there was an issue with like 59 in your Web.config, which has bee corrected. The site appears to be loading at this time." He ignored 90% of my request. My databases are still down and my website shows database errors. I'm not sure why they are touching my files on my server without my permission either. My customers cannot use my software as my licence server authenticates them. I received 36 emails from angry customers due to HostGator's poor maintenance and poor communication from their Windows Admin.

Fri, Jan 11, 4:43 AM Felicia ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "Due to the recent upgrade to your server there have been some issues we've had to address." They seem to be trying to deny MYSQL databases not loading by saying: "appears to load and I am not seeing any errors. Should we be clicking something to see the issue? If there is a login please provide the details so that we can further investigate." However, I have screenshots before this email, and after it, it seems like they are desperately trying to fix their mistakes and take no accountability.

As it stands, the MS SQL databases do not work. The PHP plugins for my wiki, still show errors. I still cannot provide a service to my customers and have received 85 emails complaining about server downtime due to HostGator. I made a request for compensation via the HostGator uptime guarantee which can be found here: **. From this link, it states: "If a shared or reseller server falls short of the 99.9% uptime guarantee, you may receive one (1) month of credit for that package on your account." Felicia ** from the Windows team got back to me with: "Unfortunately, the uptime guarantee would not cover this case." This is a barefaced lie. Not only can they not communicate with their customers about performing major server upgrades, but they do not know their own policies.

A 99.9% uptime guarantee would mean my website would be down for more than 15 minutes throughout the year. My website is still down and has been for over 2 days now. My website is still down and has been for over 2 days now and I cannot speak with a windows team directly to get this fixed. I have to wait 24 hours for each response, to which, they are not providing truthful or helpful advice. This beyond infuriating. This cannot continue. Demands: I am demanding that this is fully investigated. I am demanding that ALL customers should be informed directly about ANY server changes which may affect their customers. I am demanding customers be allowed live chat communication with the Windows server team. I am demanding that I am compensated for this horrible mess and my website is FULLY WORKING as it was before. I am demanding that the Windows Admin be relieved of duty and fired from their position.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I signed up for domain hosting services. I requested HostGator to do the domain transfer. HostGator didn't process the domain transfer after multiple requests. I called few times but HostGator still couldn't process the request. Fed up, I signed up with a different domain hosting service and the new host transferred the domain overnight! I contacted HostGator for a refund, HostGator refused to process the refund. My experience says "buyer beware". Poor customer service, stay away, DO NOT recommend.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

It is a very difficult and SLOW process when you request their free website migration. I previously had HostGator's shared hosting plan and tried to upgrade to their Cloud hosting. I filled out the form to move my primary website and add-on domains to the new cloud server and got zero response after several days. So, I called tech support, and they said sorry they can't help me, that migration is a different department and they don't take phone calls or do chat.

It looks like I will have no choice but to manually recreate all of my Joomla websites from scratch using back-up files on the cloud server and creating new databases for each website. A time-consuming nightmare for somebody who is not technologically knowledgeable. It will literally take me days to recreate everything. I'm not sure it's worth it for the slight increase in website speed. I will probably just cancel the 3 year subscription I paid for, and go with another web hosting company that is easier to use and has better customer support. In a nutshell, the so-called free migration service sounds good in the advertisement, but in reality it's a joke.

Also, you cannot choose your username when you order cloud hosting. They randomly assign you a computer-generated series of letters and numbers that is your username for life. They don't tell you this up front. You only discover it after you receive the verify email from them after you've paid your money. This might not seem like a big deal on the surface, but when they go to migrate your website files from the old account cPanel to the new cPanel, the usernames will not match up with your old account, which apparently causes verification problems with the migration. It's all ridiculous and unnecessary - never seen anything like this in my 10 years of developing and hosting websites.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I had cancelled my service package with HostGator on 02/05/2017. They confirmed that it had been cancelled however, they charged me for another year of service on 12/20/2018. When inquiring about the charge, they told me that I needed to physically call them and request them to remove my credit card information from their system on top of cancelling the package. They retained my credit card information and unrightfully billed me for another year of service that I did not receive. Also, when I was cancelling my service with them they failed to mentioned that I needed to do a "secondary cancellation" to remove my credit card information from their files. Although, the support woman on the phone mentioned that every customer should be told about the required secondary cancellation, she said there is no way for her to refund me.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

They deleted all my web files 7 days after I did not renew for another year. Who does that? Bad web host, driven by profit motive only. Customer service is poor and they force you to use chat. I have moved all other websites to SiteGround.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

One of the reasons I chose HostGator was because of reading many recommendations that their customer service was great. What a joke! I mistakenly chose an add-on (Constant Contact - Not sure how I did this because I'm very careful about reading the fine print!) for which I was charged $20. I requested through an online chat that I wanted a refund and I wanted to cancel it. I was told that Add-ons are not refundable. I didn't argue because I supposedly chose this Add-on. OK, I could take the $20 hit if it was my fault. I was told that I would receive an email when my account was cancelled. I received an email in May 2018 that my account was cancelled. I didn't think anything else of it until I was looking through my bank account months later and notice they were still taking $20/month out of my account for the last 3 months. They had stolen $60 from me over 3 months.

This time I called them and was apologized to and said it was because I didn't reply to the cancellation email. What? Why do I have to reply to an email that says your Add-On is cancelled?? I told you to cancel it! I told the person on the phone that I wanted the $60 refunded. He said he would contact the Accounting Dept and that I would be receiving an email. The email came almost a week later. It said they don't refund Add-ons! Again, what? I cancelled this Add-on 3 months ago and because I didn't respond to your email you are just going to continuing taking money from my account? Got on live chat again and was apologized to and told they don't refund Add-ons. Now, I'm trying to cancel my account and every place on the site that has a Cancellation button or link to cancellation form doesn't work. I have to call or email them. I'm going to cancel and continue trying to get my money back! I'm also going to report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Just to inform you, I got separated from the last agent. I have had nothing but problems since I have used HostGator. I originally purchased the Baby Plan and had issues that your team could not solve. I then purchased the Wordpress Hosting plan hoping that it was better security as you say but still had issues that your team could not fix so they directed me to contact Sitelock who then proceeds to tell me that the Firewall that I do have in place was not good enough and I needed to upgrade which I caught the gentlemen in a lie because he said that it would only be $30 for a year and then tells me that it would be $30 a month. He stated that the security that comes with my hosting plan is conflicting with the SSL. How is this possible, I just signed up?

What your company and Sitelock are doing is not right, taking advantage of people. I want my money back! There has been many issues with HostGator and their support team claims that they fix it but then it is not fixed, say that it is another issue when it is not, or direct you to contact a WordPress specialist which cost a good amount of money. They take advantage of people and you should be aware. So disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Their team is super slow, I still have unresolved issues from one month ago. They make promises and don't deliver them, please stay away from them. Their service is a complete nightmare which you can't escape. Run for the life of your website. They couldn't do a simple domain renewal because they have a third-party company that is super slow.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have been a HostGator customer for less than a month. Have been having absolutely pathetic support from their team on 2 separate occasions: I had subscribed to their Optimized Wordpress plan. Unfortunately this plan doesn't come with Cpanel (I didn't know this beforehand) and due to this I had to depend on HostGator support team for migrating my existing Wordpress site.

I had raised at ticket and waited for almost 5 days and multiple follow ups with no luck. Their SLA says it will take 72hrs or longer (no fixed timeline). None of their techs would provide a time estimate for completion or neither would they escalate the issue or prioritize. They are very insensitive and the standard response I got was 'Our SLA is 72 hrs or longer and we don't commit any time to our customers'... When I told them that I will cancel my order if it is not resolved quickly they said I can do so and helped me to cancel the order. They were fine to let go of a customer but not willing to fix a support issue promptly.

The second issue I had is with installing SSL certificate. This was part of my purchase plan. Unfortunately we are supposed to go thru their support desk for installing this as well (no automation) and they have some support issue with SSL and it was being worked by some other team. Their support desk doesn't have visibility on the status/updates and they wouldn't give ETA. I was asked to check back later to see if this was fixed. They wouldn't even give me a ticket until I forced them. After creating a ticket as well I wanted a proactive fix whenever the SSL issue is resolved and update email on the same. Here again the support team wouldn't commit and I was told that I need to call back and follow up if this is not fixed in few days!!! This is one of the worst support I've had from a service provider in the recent past... Not sure how they can survive in business with this type of support.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

It was so convoluted to get the site set up - I saved two blogs and they were not saved when I went back to try to tackle new blogs or posts. I was just a couple of weeks past the 45 day refund time and even though I never published the site or the blog, they would not refund my money. Advice - make sure you learn WordPress before you even think about HostGator!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I recently rebuilt my company website using HostGator's proprietary program Website Builder Pro. I spent a month building my 30+ page site. HostGator made an error and turned off my Website Builder Pro, despite my having prepaid for a year. Now they are unable to "reattach" my site to the Website Builder so now my published site is not editable in any way. I have called with no success numerous times. At one point I received an email saying that they couldn't recreate the problem I had, and in so doing they deleted my working website and saved a dummy page. That took two hours and them "waiving" the backup restoration fee since it was their mistake. I will have to build again (this time I'll bite the bullet and use WordPress). I get the sense that they have outsourced their more complex tech needs with catastrophic results.

Original review: July 15, 2018

The most and ever bad tech support. You can consider yourselves lucky if you haven't signed up yet. All I ask from them is making a migration from G-suite and they confirm to me that they will handle it. I believe them to start our work with them, but after 1 week all we get is they deleted our emails and they are still working in the migration and this is a unique situation. But if you ask anyone in the support team what is the real problem, you will get the answer as usual " our admins will solve your problem, and you will get the answer by your email." For God anyone tell me, how to waiting without using emails for a company and clients for more than 1 week? And after that, they deleted emails without any notice or reason. If you are going to build your business, don't try to work with HostGator. I lost my job because of them.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I have never given any business a “1”. In fact, in today’s less than customer service- oriented society, I actually go out of my way to leave positive feedback for even good let alone outstanding service. With that in mind, this will be a thorough evaluation of my experience with HostGator. I am not leaving a “1” out of malice or anger, but as a consumer beware warning for those considering HostGator as a provider.

Initially, I purchased my domain through the popular GoDaddy. I then researched multiple providers looking for positive criteria such as uptime, speed, performance, cost, sales and tech support, hidden fees, and ease of migration. I evaluated “unbiased” review sites and most gave glowing recommendations, however consumer driven sites were much less enthusiastic and probably more honest. The two most important issues for me was knowledgeable tech support if needed (I am technologically savvy), and seamless migration from Wordpress to HostGator.

When I contact tech support it typically means there are adjustments on the server or backend issues which HostGator must do. HostGator offers email (not recommended), “live chat” and direct phone support 24/7. I used the live chat for sales support and some tech issues and 15 minute delays are common. After multiple interactions with the live support, I am convinced HostGator uses AI bots for this level of interaction. I started with the Hatchling plan but needed to upgrade for more resources for our business needs. During my live chat with sales, in response to a question, I received a robotic response which was verbatim from the website sales. From a technical point of view, there are several team members who are outstanding. Special shout to Robert and Kevin for your depth of understanding, technical knowledge, and ability to see a comprehensive big picture which is critical in website deployment.

Unfortunately, a number of the tech support can only see where to land and are not able to see the view at 30,000 feet. Consequently, tech support is disjointed and isolated. Information is not transmitted from the previous ticket. My domain transfer from GoDaddy was supposed to be accomplished in 7 days and 3 weeks later, tech support is telling me they are waiting on the transfer. When using live chat I did frequent print screens which populated to my Dropbox account and I was able to produce documentation showing what they said was done. Generally there is a lack of congruence from one tech to another and this results in a lack of productivity and resolution of the issue.

The migration experience from Wordpress to the optimized managed Wordpress account was a total fail and disaster. They say the process of migration can take 48 hours. It has now been 72. I am no longer able to access my original Wordpress site. The migration team changed my URL and are logging in with a new password and username, however they have not provided that information to me and renders me powerless do anything with the site. HostGator boasts that they now provide free SSL certificates which are required for security. One tech support told that the certificate would populate automatically and another person told me they actually need to request.

The certificate that is popping up is invalid on Google and Firefox and the browsers will not populate the site. After the “successful” migration, only the home page loaded and none of the secondary links were functional. This is likely due to the permalinks in Wordpress, but again I cannot access the Wordpress account even if trying to access to Filezilla which is a free download for FTP (file transfer protocol). I have put a two day suspense date on getting access and functionality. If my site is still not close to functionality, I will initiate a total refund and choose another provider. It is important to choose a provider, and then use the one-click option most providers have to install Wordpress and built directly from that integrated Wordpress site rather than attempting a migration. Hope this helps.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I don't normally review things, but in this case I feel I should warn people. I'm shocked at how bad HostGator have become. I was double charged for a hosting account and so opened a dispute and get the money back through Paypal. HostGator said they would open a counter dispute and that I would incur charges if the dispute is in their favour (this is fine) but if I am right they will suspend my account! So basically if I want to keep my websites online and not lose the other hosting accounts I need to pay them twice for one of my hosting accounts!

Original review: July 8, 2018

You can consider yourselves lucky if you haven't signed up yet. I was their customer for many years and it was bearable when I didn't use it much. However as soon as I had to launch a business website, this is when I found out the grim reality. 1. Every chat takes anything between 3 to 5 hours because they take about 5-10 minutes for each response. After explaining the problem, they misunderstand and ask to repeat. After several copy/pastes from previous explanations they send a few links to read, which are totally irrelevant. 2. Once the chat failed, the 'escalated' the problem' to the form of the tickets to the 'higher admins' and 'higher management'. Now it was taking 2-3 DAYS to receive an answer. 3. After 1 MONTH of trying to get the issues looked at, they said that they are having an indefinite technical issues. So that was the end of that website launching attempt.

4. Trying to find a workaround, the 'CUSTOMER MANAGER' transferred me from one account to the other, without my permission (which she then referred to as miscommunication) that was 3 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE. So now they made me liable to pay $600 while saying that I can use SSL (which they will provide for free from this month as a company anyway) to defer my costs. 5. Trying to complain, just led to another one of such managers, who gave me the breakdown of the costs. 6. Asking to give me back my money resulted in NO RESPONSE. Honestly, I have yet to come across a customer service that is worth than that! Not only are they NOT HELPFUL, they actually change my account themselves to a more expensive one, no kidding.

I switched to another company called 'fast comet', that are twice as cheap, respond immediately to the chat and the tickets and helped me to get everything transferred and sorted for free. I launched a site in a few days. In summary, the HostGator are not only unhelpful, but they actually appears to be making an effort to sabotage their customers and essentially themselves. Really NO REASON at all to JOIN them as there are so many alternatives and being with HostGator will cost you a lot more in time, effort and money, then just a subscription.

Original review: June 18, 2018

HostGator is stealing your domain. Never buy hosting and domain from Hostgator, truly scam organization. They ask account verification, 1 week later you purchase hosting / domain... Why do you not ask and complete account verification before purchase? A honest and professional company should ask account verification by sending ID & Passport copy before purchase... But HOSTGATOR first lets you to purchase and later they ban your account and ask PASSPORT/ID copy...

I have transferred our one valuable domain, transfer completed and a while later they banned our account and show a warning "need ID card or PASSPORT copy". We did not send our ID card, because we do not trust HOSTGATOR may provide security of ID card and may a staff obtain ID card and use for illegal transactions... Now they do also not release our domain to previous registrar, shortly they have stolen my domain. GODADDY, NAME.COM, DOMAIN.COM, LCN.COM and all others except HOSTGATOR are not asking account verification by sending PASSPORT/ID CARD copy, you can use those companies for domain registration or transfer needs... Never use HOSTGATOR...

Original review: June 17, 2018

HostGator is truly the worst experience I have ever had. They are slow and stupid. If you have an existing domain, don't expect any result. They cannot deliver your needs. I had to threaten lawsuit to get a refund, which they say they will, but I have yet to see it.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I've been a long time customer of HostGator. Recently added G-Suite to my domain. I had to work with 5 different reps to figure out the issue. Most of the time, latter reps told me that former reps made mistakes in getting my G-Suite set up. I'm at the point now where my company email has been down a full day and G Suite continues to give me error messages. I think we finally fixed it but I now am stuck paying the full bill with HostGator for the G Suite add on which doesn't work. I asked for my money back and three reps said that's against their policy. Hope you learn from my mistake.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I've had a DNS issue with HostGator for a couple of months. Settings on my website keep reverting to some incorrect info. I change it... Things are good for a while, then revert back. Every change takes about 4-8 hours to be 'live' on other DNS servers. Every time I interact with support, the only thing they want to do is tell me to change the nameserver back, and "it will take a few hours to take effect. Is there anything else I can do to provide you wonderful service?" YES - actually look at the history to see that this is happening over and over.

I understand that as the support tech, having me make a few changes and then brushing me off while DNS propagates around the world is pretty easy. The problem goes away for at least a few hours. But as the customer, this is entirely frustrating, because the same problem occurs again and again (with my website being down) and I know that HostGator support is just going to go back to step 1... Instead of actually researching why this is happening. I echo the sentiments of many other reviewers. Avoid HostGator.

HostGator expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in more than 200 countries from its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It offers a variety of plans to meet different web hosting needs.

• You can host as many websites as you’d like: HostGator offers unlimited subdomains for one price, meaning you can host an infinite number of sites.

• Great email options: You have the ability to create as many email addresses as you need and can setup auto responders and email lists. Every email address comes with powerful anti-spam software.

• Lots of one-click app installs: You can install a large variety of apps to meet your website’s unique needs.

• No script library: Advanced users will be disappointed with the lack of script templates; they’ll have to code script from scratch.

• Customer service: In some cases, customers may have to wait for over an hour to speak to a customer service representative if they are having a problem.

• Control panel: It can take time to figure out how to navigate the controls.

• Best for: Small business owners and website hosting companies.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs