Learn More

3.5/5 (92 ratings)

About HostGator

HostGator is a web hosting platform with prices starting at $2.75 per month. Customers receive access to a multitude of website hosting options, including shared hosting and WordPress hosting. All sites come with a 99.9% uptime guarantee, free site transfers and free SSL certificates. Customers also receive a free domain for a year.

Pros

• Low prices
  • Many options
  • Uptime guarantee
  • Free domain for a year

Cons

• Limited backups
  • No staging

Bottom Line

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, including unlimited storage and low prices. Some packages have restrictions on staging and backups, but most customers will find its solutions fit their needs and budget.

What is HostGator?

HostGator is a website hosting company that offers services for individuals and businesses. It was founded in 2002 and has built out a massive portfolio of options and features for customers, ranging from domain name purchases to SEO tools.

HostGator offers many additional features, including one-click WordPress transfers, a free domain for a year, one-click app installs, unlimited storage and more.

Prices are pretty low for most hosting services, although some of the features are limited. For example, only one week of backup is available at a time. Stage cloning is also not available, which may be frustrating for some individuals.

How does HostGator work?

With HostGator, customers first need a domain name, which is free for a year for customers. After this is secured and registered, customers can use HostGator to host or create their website.

In some cases, users might prefer to build their website through HostGator’s services. Others will appreciate its WordPress abilities, including its one-click transfers and variety of customization options. You can browse HostGator’s tutorials to understand how to best launch and maintain your new website.

Each hosting type, which includes Shared, WordPress, VPS and dedicated hosting, has a few plans and pricing options. Some also include additional features, like free credit toward Google Ads and logo makers.

HostGator plans

HostGator has a few different plan options suited for different purposes. For example, Shared Hosting (one of its most popular plans) has three options: Hatchling, Baby and Business plans. The Hatchling plan starts at $2.75 per month and includes one website. The Baby plan starts at $3.50 per month and offers unlimited websites. The Business plan starts at $5.25 per month and comes with additional features like SEO tools, dedicated IP and more.

The rest of the hosting plans have three options as well, each with its own pricing and features included:

Website Builder
The Website Builder plans are designed to help create online stores. The three plans are Express Start, Express Site and Express Store, and they vary in the number of email campaigns per month and the number of products that can be added to the store. Prices start at $3.84 a month for the Express Start Plan, $5.99 a month for the Express Site plan and $9.22 a month for the Express Store plan.
WordPress Hosting
WordPress hosting lets you use the many features of WordPress through HostGator. Plans start at $5.95 a month for the Starter Plan, $7.95 a month for the Standard Plan and $9.95 a month for the Business Plan. More expensive plans let you run more sites and handle more visitors.
Dedicated Hosting
This plan gives you high levels of customization and flexibility with your own server. Prices vary depending on the speed and space available on the server. The Value Server plan starts at $89.98 a month, the Power Server plan starts at $119.89 a month, and the Enterprise Server plan starts at $139.99 a month.
VPS Hosting
HostGator’s Virtual Private Server Hosting sets up a virtual server that lets you easily scale up your virtual presence. HostGator offers three VPS Hosting plans: Snappy 2000 (starts at $19.95 a month), Snappy 4000 (starts at $29.95 a month) and Snappy 8000 (starts at $39.95 a month).
Reseller Hosting
Reseller Hosting lets you sell HostGator plans to your clients in return for a part of the proceeds. The three plans vary based on available disk space and bandwidth. The Aluminum Plan starts at $19.95 a month, and the Copper and Silver Plans start at $24.95 a month.

HostGator prices

Prices for service start at $2.75 per month for Shared Hosting. Customers who want to build their own website through its drag-and-drop service will pay at least $3.84 per month. Dedicated Hosting, its most expensive option, starts at $89.98 per month and comes with total server control.

These are all introductory offers, and prices will likely rise after the first year of service. In fact, many reviews on ConsumerAffairs mention increasing prices and unclear terms of future pricing information.

HostGator FAQ

Can I transfer my existing website to HostGator?
Yes. HostGator offers free content migration services within 30 days of service. Customers can also transfer their websites themselves.
What is HostGator’s bandwidth?
It depends on the type of hosting. WordPress, shared, dedicated and cloud hosting have unlimited bandwidth policies.
Will my HostGator site be secure?
Yes. All sites include a free SSL for the first 90 days of service. The free SSL certificate will automatically be available to every domain and subdomain for new and existing cPanel platform customers.
How do I create a website on HostGator?
The company’s Website Builder tool lets you create and launch a website in no time and includes additional features like logo makers and image libraries.

Is HostGator good?

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, ranging from unlimited storage with WordPress and Shared sites to SEO and logo optimization tools. Many of its introductory prices are appealing to new customers, although prices will likely rise after a year of service.

In some cases, customers might find its services don’t cover all of their needs, like those who need clone staging or unlimited backups — but for those who want support in creating and hosting a website or need unlimited bandwidth and storage for their site, the many features and benefits of these plans are very attractive.

HostGator Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

My account was suspended a few days ago without warning. The terms of service are hidden. I found out that I had too many files, and I fixed the problem several days ago. I emailed and called numerous times over the past four days, and my account is still dead. I paid a year upfront. That was a mistake, but how was I to know? My other hosting companies have never done anything like this. All of them have responsive technical support, clear terms of service, easy to read performance data, and reliable online performance.

Normal hosting companies warn a user if their file or computing limits have been reached. Hostgator kills your account—even if it is paid for ahead of time. I have never seen any product with such poor delivery and service. To be fair, the technical support workers (probably contract workers) are competent, and they try hard. The admins who they report to are brain dead. I managed to speak with a sales agent who was rude. I will try to get a refund, but I doubt they will respond. There are many, many hosting services. Any one of them would be a better choice. What is it called when you pay for a product and do not get it? Stay away. You will lose your money, time, and data. The worst.

Hey Tim,

We are sorry to hear you had such a poor experience. We do put everything in our terms of service in regards to performance data and other things pertaining to a possible TOS Violation. We would love to get you taken care of. If you could send us an email to reputation@newfold.com with your primary email address on file and your ticket number so we can better assist.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

It was a very unpleasant experience for me, buying a domain name at HostGator. They charged me for a domain name that has been purchased back in 1996, they didn't even bother to verify that?. Of course they will refund the money that they have charged, but what about the time that I have invested. I had been working for the last 1 week on how my website should look. I call them after a week just to know that it's been registered long back under someone else. This is not the service that I have been looking for.

Hey Sindhu,

We hate to hear you had a poor experience. We looked forward to resolving your issues however it appears you have cancelled. We wish you luck with your hosting and domain endeavors.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I have registered an yearly plan with Hostgator few months back. All of a sudden they started suspending my websites (This is the fourth time), claiming my the websites are over using the shared server. What surprises me is, their email report shows websites which are dormant. I have restricted them from public. There is only one active site which has no much traffic and another which I am currently developing. I wonder, if one active website with less than 10 visitors a day can overuse a server what about ten? Mind you! The package is for hosting multiple websites.

The worst part of the story is, it is in now 35hrs since suspension they haven't managed to restore the service, I have replied their email (As they requested) three times and yet no response, I went on chat support twice but still no straight forward answers (they asked me to optimize my cpu, I have been doing that ever since). But one thing I had noticed though is, every customer service I communicate with, is convincing me to upgrade to a dedicated plan. I believe the idea was to make me register by convincing me with a cheaper hosting plan and after that start frustrating me with their service, so I can get an expensive package. I was very comfortable with my previous host, I got convinced to choose HostGator because of the price. I really regret this decision.

Hey Ayoub,

We hate to hear you are experiencing these issues. We are more than happy to help. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out and make sure we have your sites up and running.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

April was lovely and helpful. She was patient and I also learned a great deal from her about how to do this. She basically corrected a problem that came about, but that HostGator failed to communicate to me. Therefore I'm very happy with her but not so happy with HostGator. They failed to do the migration that I requested and they DID NOT let me know there was a problem - !!!. Luckily I noticed my site was completely broken and got on the phone however it was offline and Host Gator really should've sent a note to alert me that they needed further action from GoDaddy to effect the migration. I had followed all the instructions from the previous call with another HG rep, but they also didn't tell me I needed info from HG and to use it to change the nameservers at GoDaddy. Thanks to April it got done.

Hey Dana,

We are so happy to hear April got everything taken care of! Thank you for your wonderful feedback!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Host Gator was my 1st choice when I decided to build another website. I had one several years ago and was absolutely pleased with everything about it from purchase, to interface, to tech support. When my church needed a website, you were the only logical choice. And, yes, I would recommend your service to anyone.

Hey James,

We really appreciate the recommendations! Thank you so much for your awesome review!

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

This hosting site offers several ways to get all of my ideas for security and other ways to add content! It is very easy to add to and improve the way that a client can interact to able to host his/her own meeting! I would highly recommend this service to all of my colleagues! Major kudos to the designers of this hosting service!! Sincerely, Louis

Hi Louis,

Thanks so much! We're so happy that you're happy. We truly appreciate the great review.

Erinn

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

The price for advanced features makes HostGator unusable. I now have to go with another company. Problem: The MYSQL database is running an outdated version of software, and per customer support “in order to update the server for my website to run, I have to upgrade account to VPS ($80/month) or Dedicated ($180/month)”. Price breakdown: >$500 for 3 years of hosting, plus ~$80/month(monthly) for VPS. Host Gator has many plans available. I thought by buying the higher tier business plan that I would have all the things I needed for my website. I planned to stay with them for >3 years, as the price seemed competitive. I feel robbed for the money I paid, and hustled for the extra money necessary for updating their servers.

Hey Ryan,

We would love to see what we can do to help out here. If you could send us an email to reputation@endurance.com with your primary email address, we will get to work on seeing what we can do.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

In a few words: "500 Internal Server Error". Multiple times a day, for months. Even before configuring the WordPress site. The server has gone down 20 times that I have seen in four months. Probably three times that number judging by the almost daily error messages from JetPack. AVOID! They are the worst web host I have seen, and I am in the process of migrating both of my sites.

Hello,

We reached out to this customer via phone and email and never received a response. We will try again today to reach this customer so we can ensure that their concerns are resolved. We're terribly disappointed to hear that they've had such a rough time and we'd love to make things right. Thanks.

Erinn

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Hi, I wanted to configure my SSL. I could not find a way to move SSL's from on site to another. I could not get help. I waited about 15 minutes and gave up. I had a couple of site I wanted to discontinue and 5 sites I wanted to activated. Looks like I will have to buy some more SSL when I get it configured.

Hey Arthur,

Have no fear, we are here! We would love to help. We have asked an Escalations Manager to reach out.

Customer Advocate at HostGator

Original review: July 14, 2021

STAY AWAY! I've tried to do business: nothing but trouble. They take your money, then your site doesn't work; they take a little more then it might work for a second. Then they act surprise you have difficulty--just this kind of thing over and over and over. I have a different company hosting for me now. Hostgator will take your money, then leave you in the wind with nothing...

Hey VR,

We are very surprised to receive this review. That doesn't sound like us at all. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience however we do wish you the best of luck on your future hosting endeavors!

HostGator Company Information