3.7/5 (316 ratings)

About HostGator

HostGator is a web hosting platform with prices starting at $2.75 per month. Customers receive access to a multitude of website hosting options, including shared hosting and WordPress hosting. All sites come with a 99.9% uptime guarantee, free site transfers and free SSL certificates. Customers also receive a free domain for a year.

Pros

• Low prices
  • Many options
  • Uptime guarantee
  • Free domain for a year

Cons

• Limited backups
  • No staging

Bottom Line

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, including unlimited storage and low prices. Some packages have restrictions on staging and backups, but most customers will find its solutions fit their needs and budget.

What is HostGator?

HostGator is a website hosting company that offers services for individuals and businesses. It was founded in 2002 and has built out a massive portfolio of options and features for customers, ranging from domain name purchases to SEO tools.

HostGator offers many additional features, including one-click WordPress transfers, a free domain for a year, one-click app installs, unlimited storage and more.

Prices are pretty low for most hosting services, although some of the features are limited. For example, only one week of backup is available at a time. Stage cloning is also not available, which may be frustrating for some individuals.

How does HostGator work?

With HostGator, customers first need a domain name, which is free for a year for customers. After this is secured and registered, customers can use HostGator to host or create their website.

In some cases, users might prefer to build their website through HostGator’s services. Others will appreciate its WordPress abilities, including its one-click transfers and variety of customization options. You can browse HostGator’s tutorials to understand how to best launch and maintain your new website.

Each hosting type, which includes Shared, WordPress, VPS and dedicated hosting, has a few plans and pricing options. Some also include additional features, like free credit toward Google Ads and logo makers.

HostGator plans

HostGator has a few different plan options suited for different purposes. For example, Shared Hosting (one of its most popular plans) has three options: Hatchling, Baby and Business plans. The Hatchling plan starts at $2.75 per month and includes one website. The Baby plan starts at $3.50 per month and offers unlimited websites. The Business plan starts at $5.25 per month and comes with additional features like SEO tools, dedicated IP and more.

The rest of the hosting plans have three options as well, each with its own pricing and features included:

Website Builder
The Website Builder plans are designed to help create online stores. The three plans are Express Start, Express Site and Express Store, and they vary in the number of email campaigns per month and the number of products that can be added to the store. Prices start at $3.84 a month for the Express Start Plan, $5.99 a month for the Express Site plan and $9.22 a month for the Express Store plan.
WordPress Hosting
WordPress hosting lets you use the many features of WordPress through HostGator. Plans start at $5.95 a month for the Starter Plan, $7.95 a month for the Standard Plan and $9.95 a month for the Business Plan. More expensive plans let you run more sites and handle more visitors.
Dedicated Hosting
This plan gives you high levels of customization and flexibility with your own server. Prices vary depending on the speed and space available on the server. The Value Server plan starts at $89.98 a month, the Power Server plan starts at $119.89 a month, and the Enterprise Server plan starts at $139.99 a month.
VPS Hosting
HostGator’s Virtual Private Server Hosting sets up a virtual server that lets you easily scale up your virtual presence. HostGator offers three VPS Hosting plans: Snappy 2000 (starts at $19.95 a month), Snappy 4000 (starts at $29.95 a month) and Snappy 8000 (starts at $39.95 a month).
Reseller Hosting
Reseller Hosting lets you sell HostGator plans to your clients in return for a part of the proceeds. The three plans vary based on available disk space and bandwidth. The Aluminum Plan starts at $19.95 a month, and the Copper and Silver Plans start at $24.95 a month.

HostGator prices

Prices for service start at $2.75 per month for Shared Hosting. Customers who want to build their own website through its drag-and-drop service will pay at least $3.84 per month. Dedicated Hosting, its most expensive option, starts at $89.98 per month and comes with total server control.

These are all introductory offers, and prices will likely rise after the first year of service. In fact, many reviews on ConsumerAffairs mention increasing prices and unclear terms of future pricing information.

HostGator FAQ

Can I transfer my existing website to HostGator?
Yes. HostGator offers free content migration services within 30 days of service. Customers can also transfer their websites themselves.
What is HostGator’s bandwidth?
It depends on the type of hosting. WordPress, shared, dedicated and cloud hosting have unlimited bandwidth policies.
Will my HostGator site be secure?
Yes. All sites include a free SSL for the first 90 days of service. The free SSL certificate will automatically be available to every domain and subdomain for new and existing cPanel platform customers.
How do I create a website on HostGator?
The company’s Website Builder tool lets you create and launch a website in no time and includes additional features like logo makers and image libraries.

Is HostGator good?

HostGator offers many hosting options and features, ranging from unlimited storage with WordPress and Shared sites to SEO and logo optimization tools. Many of its introductory prices are appealing to new customers, although prices will likely rise after a year of service.

In some cases, customers might find its services don’t cover all of their needs, like those who need clone staging or unlimited backups — but for those who want support in creating and hosting a website or need unlimited bandwidth and storage for their site, the many features and benefits of these plans are very attractive.

HostGator Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

I tried to transfer my domain to Hostgator, only thing that went fine was payment. Their domain transfer is not working and they started to ask me for domain EPP codes in a chat. How unprofessional is that. I have now asked for a refund seven times and they just keep asking for the EPP code.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

All my mailboxes disappeared from the server. Hostgator has no explanation and takes no responsibility for this. They want to charge me $25 to fix this by restoring a backup. Is it not their responsibility to make sure this does not happen. This company should be investigated for their questionable ethics. I will never recommend Hostgator and plan to move to another hosting provider.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

I had a few problems with Host Gator but I made sure to keep my case number from particularly of one phone call to HostGator customer service because it was one of the first times a supervisor lied about regulations of a company when I knew the regulation rules. My first phone call was about my server shutting down a day early. I needed to purchase an extension for my server and only had 1 day left so I was picking a company to be with based on price and need. The other company I chose was lower priced and better but I was willing to stay with HostGator to avoid the transfer work. When Hostgator could not give me a decent price, I declined the price they offered and shortly after the call, they shut down my site a full day early than when it said it was scheduled. I called to get it back up for the day, and they did but 1 hour later it went back down.

This is when I called in to speak to the supervisor. The supervisor I received was Riego. Case #**. She basically made up the amount of days that a server is put into suspension. She used her own amount (less than the regulation amount of days) of days to try and justify the early suspension. Once I advised her that the correct amount of days was 10 and not the amount she claimed she sounded confused as to how I got the number. I advised her that it is on their website and Riego did not know that it was available for customers to see. She did not allow me to leave a graded feedback since she ended the call with no survey attached at the end. This is when she advised me that she placed a claim for escalated to contact me to which I got a 10 day extension for suspending 1 day early. It took about 4 chats and 2 phone calls.

This can be a decent hosting company to be with but the customer service reps outside of escalated service emails will sometimes attempt to "fix" something but damage it instead, bad customer service reps that are rude and who do not help you won't send you into the survey, and you will pay a lot of money on the signup because they do not give you very good discounts to stay.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

Totally Nightmare. The real face of HostGator hiding behind false internet advertising. We have the Business Plan and the problems started immediately after activating our account. First there was problem with their SSL and then CDN. The built in CDN wasn't working and they were informed so many times about that. Site was constantly going down even on few hundred traffic. We suffered greatly from slow loading pages. Every time their useless support reverted back to us their response was robotic. That it is new feature and they are slowly rolling that out to other business plans. Why would you offer that in your terms??

We lost a great deal of marketing budget because of lack of performance of our website caused by HostGator. When I asked for the refund since they were unable to produce a solution they refused! This is their level of service for a premium plan. Just imagine what they would be doing with small customers who are buying cheaper plans! NOT RECOMMENDED FOR SERIOUS BUSINESSES!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

After several years of HostGator hosting my website; the site went down on may 2022. Hostgator told me they couldn't fix the website. It was old. I asked them to build a new one. They said they didn't build websites and advise me to look somewhere else. I told them to cancel the account. I did go to "godaddy" and they helped me with a new website. On october 17 2022 5 months after the website went down; HostGator charged my card for a renewal of hosting services $189.94 (code guard). Then on October 22 2022 they charged another $203.40 (hosting).

On January 23 I called and complained why I was been charged for services not rendered. After being on hold for a long time a person in the Philippines told me that they could do nothing. That the money was not refundable. That the account was not cancelled. I told them to refund me this new renewal. They refused. I asked for a prorate since I still had 10 months to go. They told that was not possible and that if I canceled I was giving up my right to any refunds. That is bribery. At a minimum highway robbery. I tried contacting someone inside the USA. No luck. I say do not go with this company. Their answering service is worthless. Always overseas. I believe I have lost my money. I hope you don't.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I made the mistake of not canceling my domain before charged. Been a customer for years with multiple domains and that does not seem to matter when asking them to refund my money. They have lost me as a customer and anyone who asks me for a recommendation for a company to use to register a domain...over $40!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Hello! I am a regular user of Hostgator for 2 years, I am not happy with the service and servers, I planned to get new hosting this year but they take money automatically from my bank card, they are smart finance killer, very very bad servers, even can't handle traffic of 5k, means better to go with free hostings. Here is service response too late support **.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

Do not use or buy anything from these company. If you do so they will recharge you all of it without your knowledge or authorization on renewal. Make sure you take off the auto-renewal or they will rape your credit card.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

We host with Hostgator.com many websites, recently our website went down, for the past for weeks we did not get any emails any calls back or any support after many calls, the tech support in the Philippines they are incompetent and always come with the same answer "sorry we can't solve the problem we will call the back office", "and will send email", today after 1 hour of not giving up, we got first email, having our website down is a disaster and no solution. Now we have 3 website down, this company should and need to close. They are reckless and careless and that is very bad for business.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

Please if you care about your websites and services, Hostgator is the worst. I have had 7 sites crash and destroyed in one year. The hosting package they sold me was dedicated and cost 2400 yr.. The WHM is under a unsecured link, LOL what I was thinking??? I made a big mistake, learn from me.. I now working to move all to new server by the Dec.. 31.. Also in the packages the renewal saids 2023-12-31.. Today they tell me NO it renews 2022-12-23 for 2300 more.. Three locations and even a rep a week ago said that it show 2023 renewal.. Let me say this company is not very well run, or managed.

HostGator Company Information