1.67/5
Based on 39 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

39 HostGator Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

HostGator is stealing your domain. Never buy hosting and domain from Hostgator, truly scam organization. They ask account verification, 1 week later you purchase hosting / domain... Why do you not ask and complete account verification before purchase? A honest and professional company should ask account verification by sending ID & Passport copy before purchase... But HOSTGATOR first lets you to purchase and later they ban your account and ask PASSPORT/ID copy...

I have transferred our one valuable domain, transfer completed and a while later they banned our account and show a warning "need ID card or PASSPORT copy". We did not send our ID card, because we do not trust HOSTGATOR may provide security of ID card and may a staff obtain ID card and use for illegal transactions... Now they do also not release our domain to previous registrar, shortly they have stolen my domain. GODADDY, NAME.COM, DOMAIN.COM, LCN.COM and all others except HOSTGATOR are not asking account verification by sending PASSPORT/ID CARD copy, you can use those companies for domain registration or transfer needs... Never use HOSTGATOR...

Original review: June 17, 2018

HostGator is truly the worst experience I have ever had. They are slow and stupid. If you have an existing domain, don't expect any result. They cannot deliver your needs. I had to threaten lawsuit to get a refund, which they say they will, but I have yet to see it.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I've been a long time customer of HostGator. Recently added G-Suite to my domain. I had to work with 5 different reps to figure out the issue. Most of the time, latter reps told me that former reps made mistakes in getting my G-Suite set up. I'm at the point now where my company email has been down a full day and G Suite continues to give me error messages. I think we finally fixed it but I now am stuck paying the full bill with HostGator for the G Suite add on which doesn't work. I asked for my money back and three reps said that's against their policy. Hope you learn from my mistake.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I've had a DNS issue with HostGator for a couple of months. Settings on my website keep reverting to some incorrect info. I change it... Things are good for a while, then revert back. Every change takes about 4-8 hours to be 'live' on other DNS servers. Every time I interact with support, the only thing they want to do is tell me to change the nameserver back, and "it will take a few hours to take effect. Is there anything else I can do to provide you wonderful service?" YES - actually look at the history to see that this is happening over and over.

I understand that as the support tech, having me make a few changes and then brushing me off while DNS propagates around the world is pretty easy. The problem goes away for at least a few hours. But as the customer, this is entirely frustrating, because the same problem occurs again and again (with my website being down) and I know that HostGator support is just going to go back to step 1... Instead of actually researching why this is happening. I echo the sentiments of many other reviewers. Avoid HostGator.

Original review: April 25, 2018

While using the Managed Dedicated Hosting, every supports question is against their compliances, the support is horrible, the support staffs are "true lazy" and for them everything is out of compliance order. Never try to ask support from the HostGator. The server performance is very slow, don't know why the company refer to this hosting, the response time is more than 1200ms, they promote as 36ms. Stay away from HostGator.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HostGator?

Original review: April 23, 2018

HostGator has hosted my site for many years and they do a great job. The tech help is excellent. They have never made a mistake on billing even once. My site is always up and running. It has never been down once. Techs are always able to solve any questions I have promptly. Things run smoothly with them. I have recommended them many times over the years and the people who have used their hosting are also very happy with them. Good job Hostgator. Keep it up!

Original review: April 9, 2018

I've been a customer with HostGator for over 7 years, and up until January of this year never had an issue. In fact, I had referred several clients and other agencies to them... However, in January, I received a series of emails from them saying my account was past due, and that in order to bring it current, I would need to send in a bank wire to cover the balance. I was confused by this, because my account had always been on auto pay through PayPal.

I looked back through my emails for the past 3-4 months, and saw that every month I had received 2 emails from HostGator, one saying that my payment was unsuccessful, and then immediately after, another one saying "thanks for your payment". I also checked with PayPal and saw that my billing agreement with them was still active. Perhaps, this is where I went wrong. As an extremely busy business owner, I assumed it was some sort of glitch in their system that was sending the emails, so I ignored it. Every payment processed through PayPal to other vendors had gone through successfully, and I had been on auto pay for 7 years so I wasn't worried about it.

A week later, my account was shut down (website, all business emails, etc) and they sent another email saying I needed to send a wire (not ACH, not credit card payment, but a wire from my bank). I called to find out if someone could explain what had happened, and why my billing was messed up despite everything showing okay on my end. Their representative had no explanation for the duplicate confusing emails that had been sent, and said that only their "billing administrator" could address billing issues and that this person was only available via email.

I emailed the billing administrator, and received a response a day later saying to send a wire, if I wanted my account to be reactivated, but he didn't provide any other details as to why it had been shut down to begin with. He said the total amount past due was $17. Mind you, as a customer of 7+ years I was confused why I couldn't make this $17 payment via card, and why they would shut a long time customer's account down over $17 (that shouldn't have been past due to begin with).

Regardless, I went to my bank, paid $35 for a $17 wire, and emailed them all the details including the fed wire number. I used to work for a bank, and know that wires arrive to the final institution on the same day as long as they're sent before 4 pm ET. Two days later and they were saying they still didn't have my wire, and that they "didn't research wires" and that I probably didn't put the right instructions.

Finally on the THIRD day, my account was reactivated. Still no explanation on why it took so long or WHY my account was shut down to begin with. Two weeks later, more emails from HostGator "billing administrator" saying my account was past due again, which wouldn't have been possible given that I had just paid. More emails back and forth, and still ZERO explanation why there was yet another balance. Once again, they're requiring a WIRE (another $35 through my bank), to cover the balance, or threatening to shut my account down. I'd like to reiterate again, that I'd been a customer for SEVEN YEARS with ZERO billing issues until this glitch happened.

Once again, sent a wire and paid another fee with my bank. Sent the wire instructions to their billing administrator, and also a series of questions inquiring when my account would be unrestricted so I could set up auto payments to pay like a REGULAR customer. Billing administrator never responded to my question about making regular payments on my account, and continued to completely ignore my questions about why my account was shut down to begin with. Fast forward to last week, and my monthly payment is due again. HostGator sends me an email telling me to log in to my customer dashboard and make a payment. I think, "Great, I can finally make regular payments again". Except when I log in to make a payment, it says, "Your account has been restricted, please send a wire payment."

At this point, I try a different route and try their customer service chat, to see if they can help. I explain to them what happened, that my account is restricted, and attempt to get information as to WHY and HOW we can get the account updated so I can MAKE A PAYMENT. I was trying to GIVE THEM money, and it seemed like an impossible feat. 20 minutes later after being on hold, the rep comes back to the chat, and tells me the EXACT same thing I already told her, "The account is restricted and you have to send a wire." She advises me to email the 'billing administrator' once again.

At this point, I go down to my bank, send ANOTHER wire to cover the next several months (I would have switched hosting accounts already if I didn't have a company working on my website. I fully intend to leave once it's done). I email the 'billing administrator' Friday afternoon with the wire instructions, including the Fedwire number. According to my bank, the wire reached their bank on Friday afternoon. Saturday morning my account was shut down AGAIN, despite them having my money. The billing administrator emailed me this morning, telling me their haven't received it (LIES), and completely ignored my questions about the account restrictions.

I'm beyond furious at this point, for the following reasons: I still have no idea why the auto payments stopped working to begin with. Had plenty of money in my bank account, PayPal agreement was active, etc. No one has any answers. If the account was truly past due, why did I receive emails every month saying 'thanks for your payment'. Again, no one has answers. When I attempt to resolve my account by sending wires (and paying massive wire fees), it takes them upwards of a week to apply it to my account, despite wires arriving same day! My account keeps getting shut down, despite payments being sent. Customer service is completely non-existent, and no one has been able to give me ANY answers about how to get the 'wires only' restriction off my account.

I'm sick of being treated like absolute garbage, as someone who's been a customer for over 7 years and has always paid on time. I have screenshots of emails, chats, wire payments I've made, and more to back up every single claim. I've dealt with hundreds of vendors since I opened my business, and I've never left a single negative review. This is by far the most atrocious service I've ever received anywhere!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Long story short, I was triple billed. Getting a refund was a nightmare. Now they email me a threat. If you counter dispute this, I will sue you for $200K. You triple charged us and I already cancelled with you, there are literally dozens of open tickets and emails and calls. Canceling was a nightmare to say the least. You people are so disorganized and incompetent it is comical. You are the worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life. You made my account balance go negative, and I got billed hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees. Am I going to get reimbursed? I am a volunteer for this organization and do not get paid. This is my personal debit card. Have a great day. STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY. SCAM SITE.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I recently switched from Bluehost to Hostgator, thinking the service would be more customer satisfaction oriented. I was wrong. I contacted them with a simple question about not having control panel access and all they wanted me to do was upgrade my account. I asked about another plan that would have suited me better and they totally dodged the question and kept pushing for me to upgrade what I had just bought. It was ridiculous. Why would I have to pay extra for the most basic service that they are supposed to provide? They wanted me to upgrade my current service instead allowing me to switch to a plan that was cheaper and gave me what I really needed. That's shady practice to say the least.

They didn't even try and help me out at all. So now I'm stuck with their service for a bit, but I can promise you that I will never buy another thing from Hostgator and will let people know what they are getting into when they buy their services. Never pay for something you don't understand and never be pressured into paying a company more instead of them actually helping out their customers. Good riddance. Bad service. These domain hosts are a dime a dozen now, so it doesn't make any sense to stick around.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I tried to contact them to make sure that I only purchased a domain using their online system and they didn't respond. They billed my credit card for monthly hosting charges anyway and when I called, they refused to credit my card back even though my request with the date was in their ticketing system. Instead, I got a lecture from the representative on which kind of ticket to select for which issue and that their ticketing system for some kinds of tickets isn't monitored. Therefore, they're keeping the money they STOLE from me!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! Use SiteGround or some other reputable organization.

Original review: March 22, 2018

AVOID USING HOSTGATOR! The service is really bad. I bought a plan for 3 years, and with almost 4 months time of using their service, they blocked my access to all websites under my shared account for couple of times now, I was told it was due to excessive usage of CPU. I didnt know they actually have this sort of limit even though I was told that I'll have unlimited under my shared plan. Then they will fix it but will take couple of days to have it fixed, very slow service, VERY BAD UNRELIABLE SERVICE. Guys don't ever consider hosting your website on HOSTGATOR except you want to experience a terrible service. Sadly, I did not read reviews before I purchase a plan. BEWARE of HOSTGATOR.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I don't understand why people like this ** hosting company. Terrible customer service plus the payment process sucks. They took $40 for a $7 service due to some error and I'm still waiting for my refund. Not fair at all.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Subscribed to HostGator's basic business package (Hosting /Domain services), and no longer needed the domain name after 2 years. However, they auto-renew your domain if "you" do not turn off the feature, and keep your credit card on file. Well I noticed they did the auto-renewal "several weeks" ahead of my domain expiration date. When I contacted customer service, I was told, "Sorry we do not refund auto-renewals!" Well HostGator if that is your standard business practice/policy, you just lost a customer for life! I will be sure to let everyone I know about this, especially if they are looking for Hosting services!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Used to be a great company. Now they get hacked all the time, then ask you to provide your private bank information to confirm you are you and will not accept anything else. Hostgator does not care about their customers at all.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Really bad database. Error every day and so very often on my name server. I've contact them and they told there was problems on my site. What? My site is the same for 3 years! And when I tell them what's going on, they don't answer even I asked for 3 times. I beg them to tell me the truth, they says if I don't satisfy experience with them, go for private server plan (my site has only 400-600 people/day with about <10 GB bandwidth/month) or go for other hosting company. Very bad. Come try and never again!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

3 Years ago I purchased a 3 year domain hosting plan for my business. Without notice or consent, they charged me for an additional 3 years for $358.20 last month. I just noticed this as I was updating my business financials. Apparently, if you keep a card on file with HostGator, as a "customer convenience", they won't send you an invoice- they will just charge your card. When I called to request refund- I was told it was too late. I was told if I didn't want to be charged, I shouldn't keep a card on file!!! How can they charge a card without notification or consent? Bad business model.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

HostGator has one of the most awful customer services I ever got. I don't know if that's normal in servers providers, but the service as such (computers, servers, hardware) seems good and reliable, but the customer service is awful, it seems they treat you like you were a child or a dumb. It takes an eternity to reply to you, they don't have normal email tickets, just phone and chat, which takes a lot of time, and after waiting you get a bunch of ignorants trying to speak with you like you were a child. The big majority of the staff is technically very poorly qualified. All this big companies with all the "customer optimisation processes" treat clients like sheep. Strongly un-recommended. PS: Written after one hour with chat customer support and ZERO satisfaction. And I am a client for a long time! I just don't move due to the burden.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

HostGator my website host, advised that due to malware, my 3 websites were being removed and that I should contact Sitelock to have the malware removed. When I discovered that my 3 sites had been removed, I contacted Sitelock. They offered to solve the problem for several hundred dollars and tried to coax me into signing up for a 6 month contract. When I explored further, I discovered that this hoax between both companies is now widely documented on Twitter and other social media outlets. When I presented HostGator with the evidence, they finally relented and helped me remove the fake 'malware'. Beware both these companies - they are a nightmare to deal with and I am in the process of moving my sites to a new host.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I was pressured by HostGator into locking in a price for several years in order to save money overall. After one year, they're telling me that some services were only free for first year, and now I need to pay extra for two separate security features, sitelock and codeguard. I spent 15 minutes searching everywhere on their site trying to find out how to cancel or downgrade those services. They make it difficult on purpose. Then I went to chat and was notified all agents were busy. Finally after answering another 8-10 Qs, I got someone to chat with me. It took another 15 minutes for me to cancel both services because the agent wanted to scare me into thinking my site would get hacked without those services. I found on another site that there are free services that perform the same safety and security services. Ridiculous to make this so time consuming.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

We have an important site on HG and we have not been able to edit it for more than 10 days. We were using Weebly and their connection to Weebly is broken and they don't know how to fix it. One of our site admins called them more than 20 times and chatted over 25 times. They don't know how to solve this problem. HG used to be a good company -- not any more --- Our recommendation is STAY AWAY FROM HOST GATOR --- THEY HAVE NEW MANAGEMENT OR NEW PROCESS.

Original review: July 29, 2017

HostGator hosts the website of a violent Domestic Terrorist Group. This violent Domestic Terrorist Group is stalking and harassing me and other people online. I have repeatedly emailed and called HostGator requesting removal of the dangerous content, but they refuse. I was told over the phone by HostGator staff that Texas law permits HostGator to allow this dangerous content to be published. (HostGator is a Houston Company.) I believe HostGAtor is wrong and that online harassment is illegal according to Texas and Federal law. Hopefully law enforcement will force HostGator to remove the online harassment by this violent Domestic Terrorist Group.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have been out of town for Cancer treatment and when I get back I find that the company somehow got my NEW CC number and renewed my account. I don't know how they got a hold of my card but they did. Refuses to refund any monies at all.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Just registered a domain a week ago, but was told by their customer service today that they provide no refund even though I would like to cancel the domain. They told me to wait for a year for the domain to expire and there was nothing I can do about it. TMDHosting is providing a better hosting package with 60 day money back guarantee. I will not use HostGator ever again.

Original review: May 12, 2017

So they hacked my web page, they give it malware, the same day I get a letter from site lock who can fix my site. First they said 100$ then 75$. Now 45$ when they realize they targeted a site with no sales and a broke company. I am letting my site go. They destroyed what I built up... which wasn't much. This is how they treat their loyal customers. They even locked my control panel and my emails. Save your breath and find another host. I am filing complaints everywhere.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Any and all experience I have had with HostGator web services have been filled with false statements and poor customer service. The service is slow and provides limits on the speed and volume of data that can be handled by the service. In my humble opinion, HostGator is an inferior web service provider from the service I had with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

You know, there are good website hosting companies out there, there are average, there are bad... and then there are outright thieves. I am not talking about the: "Oh, they said I would get such-and-such for so much money per month, or a savings of such-and-such per year," then find out I'll have to buy something supplemental to get the deal; that just falls into the bad company practices category.

I am talking about a company who when you cancel your domain three months ago, have the website removed as they as a company were not willing to take responsibility for their own website building tools when said website crashed, saying since they will no longer be carrying that particular service you can instead buy one of their other ones and restart your website (no thanks) and are UN-hedging on the matter... then three months later CHARGE YOU for the dead website and EXTRA for the privacy protection, that is a stealing company.

So it is with hostgater.com. Laura ** saw the charge this morning so I called them, thus beginning the runaround about how they couldn't do anything about the charge for the website, but maybe for the protection plan. I at first patiently explained (for the 100th time) that the website didn't even exist, so why they hell are we being charged for it? Their answer: Because it is renewal time.

Now, I am not insane, but when I explained to them that this was not even a matter of refunding money because we didn't want their hosting services, but a matter of I was looking at the CANCELLATION right in front of me from three months ago, I felt like I was slipping into La La Land with this lady. I said "this is stealing – flat out theft. More so, bank fraud. If you charge someone's credit card for a service that doesn't exist, it's stealing." Why she pushed back on this, I have NO idea, but like I told her, this was her opportunity to get a hold of someone in the company and make this right before Laura gets involved. I am the nice one... believe me.

As I told the rep I spoke with (Rhonda) Hostgator may think they have Laura by the short-hairs, but they only think that. No one steals from her. Period.

Hostgator, I have never dealt with such an unprofessional and shyster company in my life. If you think you're going to get away with theft, which by taking money out of a checking account for nothing is exactly what this is, then all I can say is you've opened a Pandora's box you're going to wish you hadn't.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

We didn't have too many issues with HostGator when we utilized them, for hosting services, but when we did contact customer support they were always incredible. The web tools provided by HostGator were excellent and allowed us to create exactly what we needed to make our business shine. The tools were comprehensive and easy to use. HostGator offers a wide array of storage options which provides a fit for any size business' needs. Switching options when you need more or less storage is always easy. We have used other providers' web interfaces for config. HostGator's interface is by far the most user-friendly we have used, and provides a positive experience no matter your level of expertise.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

I'm going to be bluntly honest. These guys were perfect a couple of years ago. Now they're pure garbage. I've been trying to pay you with Amex, Visa, and MasterCard without avail, have numerous open tickets with your great "customer support" without avail, have opened a dozen chat rooms for the same purpose, without avail. The issue with this is simple. If you pay hosting for three years, and purchase an SSL certificate in GoDaddy, and try to install it in your hosting environment without a PayPal option, you can't. So you're potentially stuck with three years of a site with an expired SSL certificate. Calling them is useless as well. I strongly advise the public not to do business with Hostgator.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Very easy to get in touch with. They respond in a quick manner. Very polite. Always satisfied with their customer service. Very professional. Has some of the best tools for designing to make every project look its best and the most professional. Love their tools also. Great value. Very resourceful. It's a essential part of the program and a valuable piece of the service that I enjoy using more than other parts of the service. Great company. One of the best available. Very integrated to makes it easy to use for every user. Love the level of access to no issues or hassles along the way. It's easy to navigate also.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

The customer service for this website is very friendly and helpful. They make sure that they provide excellent and quality service to their customers. They are very professional and do their best to solve any problems that you may have. The design tools for this website are very unique compared to other similar websites. There is also a wide variety of tools that you can use. The storage options for this website are very good as well. The storage options are very organized and easy to use. It allows you to store all of your information in a very organized and easy to access location. This website is very easy to use. Everything is pretty self-explanatory, but there are help features that explain to you how to use everything. You definitely don't have to be tech savvy in order to use this website.

HostGator expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HostGator provides web-hosting services to clients in more than 200 countries from its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It offers a variety of plans to meet different web hosting needs.

• You can host as many websites as you’d like: HostGator offers unlimited subdomains for one price, meaning you can host an infinite number of sites.

• Great email options: You have the ability to create as many email addresses as you need and can setup auto responders and email lists. Every email address comes with powerful anti-spam software.

• Lots of one-click app installs: You can install a large variety of apps to meet your website’s unique needs.

• No script library: Advanced users will be disappointed with the lack of script templates; they’ll have to code script from scratch.

• Customer service: In some cases, customers may have to wait for over an hour to speak to a customer service representative if they are having a problem.

• Control panel: It can take time to figure out how to navigate the controls.

• Best for: Small business owners and website hosting companies.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs