Godaddy.com

Compare Web Hosting

Research top Web Hosting recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Ensure that credit card number is not registered at website as Godaddy conveniently auto renews the service without permission. Also though site says you can deselect the option, this facility is conveniently disabled in their site. A nice way to earn revenue. What sorry state of affairs. This website should be banned.

I've lost all faith in GoDaddy! The office email product is a joke. First it was not set up for DKIM emails like Gmail or Yahoo (so you come up as "un-verified" when sending to one of the @gmail.com etc emails) - now that that got sorted I will still look like a spammer to all my Gmail and Yahoo clientele because they'll get a "Sent from: "...onmicrosoft.com" email instead of my domain email. So un-professional. I just paid for an email that I can't use... Will stop recommending GoDaddy to all my web design customers looking for a new domain from now on. Don't purchase this unless you ONLY SEND TO MICROSOFT OUTLOOK people. Otherwise you'll be marked as spam.

I move to GoDaddy because I wanted professional service and support despite a higher cost. It has been complete disappointment. The server is slow and the helpline is hopeless. Even on low traffic times you will have to wait half an hour at least. My current issue is that the server my service is running on at GoDaddy turns out to be blacklisted at 3 listing sites because some of the site running here don't comply. GoDaddy don't ensure that the server is in good standing which result in a lot of emails from me are rejected by the major sites like Facebook, Linkedin, USPS and many others. My only option start the process to move to another host than GoDaddy.

Very poor customer service and horrible experience. I was with GoDaddy for six years. I had credit card issues with my bank and needed to change credit cards. Godaddy took my website down after missed payment of 10 days and wanted to charge me $150 dollars to get it back up. I just happened to visit ConsumerAffairs and see all the negative complaints and I know why... GoDaddy is Horrible and I would never recommend them.

Can't email GoDaddy and while they say you can chat, I've never gone on when the service is actually available. I cancelled my sites and have been being bombarded with emails many times a day since then.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy.com?

Key features: 24/7 technical support - call with a concern and I guarantee there will be no resolution. 99.9% uptime guarantee - this a bold face lie. Unlimited traffic - slowest paid for service I have ever used, will never use or recommend. WordPress integration - lie. Money-back guarantee - lie. 24/7 security, DDoS protection -lie.

Godaddy is absolutely the worst product I have ever encountered. Software deleted my existing email account in outlook. Customer service stated this is not their problem as MS Outlook is a third party vendor. REALLY. Run, this product and company are horrible. No matter what I attempt to do, I cannot restore my original email account in MS Outlook. I have tried logging into Microsoft and adding a new account with my original account, and it repeatedly states my original account needs to be repaired. Repair it, as many times as I try, my original email will not show up in outlook. I have tried all of the Microsoft fixes, none of them works. I have tried all the PC repair alternatives; they as well do not work. I am extremely technically and computer savvy, and I now understand I will have to uninstall MS Outlook, or attempt to send an email to everyone in my address book, while copying myself to save all my 336 contacts.

This is perhaps the worst example of a company I have experienced to date. I have 35-years of Consumer package goods sales, customer service, management, and training experience. This company needs to be driven out of business, or an investigation needs to occur relative to their business behavior. Given the money they spend in advertising, one would assume they are spending as much in congress. I believe I should be compensated for the six (6) hours I have spent trying to restore my own email, and then the four (4+) hours it will take to rebuild my email account. I am speechless, frustrated, fired up, and GoDaddy says "This is not our fault, use web mail, your computer is not our problem, and I WILL not help you or find anyone who will." RUN AWAY, DON'T SPEND A NICKEL AT GODADDY.

My friend told me to go to Squarespace to make my website. My friend was smart. I was not. I chose godaddy.com. Not long after, I canceled my subscription to Godaddy. They still continue to leech 15 dollars a month out of my account. Seriously driving me crazy. I had to cancel my card. It got so bad. DO NOT USE THESE SLEAZY SCUMBAGS! I PLEAD WITH YOU! YOU WILL ONLY REGRET IT! If I could give negative stars I would.

I signed up for a domain name and other services were added without my permission. They continued to charge my account on a monthly basis even though the website was not in use. They made six different charges to my bank account and when I asked them why, they informed me that I had neglected to turn off the automatic payment system. I told them that they had a record of the fact that I had not used the service for almost a year but they said that the charges would not be refunded. I didn't ask for any charges going back before October, I simply asked for a refund of the October charges. They are a ripoff.

I have been with GoDaddy since it started about 1997, and had several domains, websites, and created many new domain names and websites for my customers all the time recommending GoDaddy. I have since retired as a IT professional, and I am 78 years old. Their service was great until last month, when in renewing my basic service, I apparently "clicked" on something called "bookkeeping", which then added that service to my account.

Later I saw an additional $9 show up on my bank account. I then replied back to two items I got from GoDaddy, requesting that bookkeeping be dropped from my account. After about a month with no results, I called them on the phone, to clear a "bookkeeping" service which accidentally got added to my account, after having sent a reply message twice to get it cleared, to no avail. I first talked to an Andrew, and getting no cooperation, I had to request 7 times to talk to a supervisor, because he kept arguing with me about what I expected a supervisor to do for me.

Finally he connected me to a supervisor, named Keith, who took my complaint and request for a refund on the unwanted $9.00 bookkeeping service. He said he was getting a lot of such complaints, but that GoDaddy had "screwed down" their policy, and No refunds could be made which went back more than 30 days. AND HE SAID THEY ALSO WERE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE ME A $9 CREDIT TO FUTURE BILLING!!! He put me on hold, asked some policy people to bypass the policy and get me a refund, they denied the request. So I am looking for another hosting service.

I have over 50 domains with GoDaddy. The credit card associated with one of them was renewed with a new number. They continued to charge me for everything on the new card but suddenly killed the website associated with the old number. They then charged me an extra $60 to reopen it. I wrote the CEO and their "Customer Service" to get the overcharge corrected. Nothing. Watch your back when you are dealing with these snakes.

Godaddy is fraud company. They don't have any kind of security for their clients. They have stolen my money. They have looted their clients. They must be shut down. I will file an Legal FIR very soon against them.

This review only touches upon GoDaddy.com's billing department. It seems they piece meal everything so you end up paying more. They use this approach to confuse you when they say you still owe for one thing when you thought you already paid for it. When you try to question them, they get belligerent with one asking me in a rude manner "do you want to get your emails or what?" Wow! If my employees acted like this, they wouldn't have a job.

If you want to buy a domain, please be aware, Godaddy sells/gives your info out... I recently purchased a new domain name and a day later I started receiving calls all hours of the day from companies wanting to help me with my new domain. This was about a week ago and I'm still getting about 10-20 calls per/day... Prior to registering a new domain my phone would barely ring. Now it rings all day long.

I just learned the hard way that the devil is in the details. GoDaddy has a very small one line in their contract that states they will automatically renew your domain after 1 year if they don't hear from you. Ok most companies try this, the real rub is that when you fail to notify them and you don't op, they charge $95 for the domain in year 2. Normal rates are around $10-15. So GoDaddy took my money without providing any real value. I was robbed and there is not much I can do other than try to spread the word on companies that would rather steal than to provide a real service. GoDaddy you can take you crappy brand and Go To **!

Worst experience ever. I had my website on with their plan and had so little control on resource since you have to pay for every single move you do on GoDaddy and end up paying hundreds. My last experience was with them sending me an email which went to the JUNK and I wasn't aware of and end up with my website fully deleted. Contacted them. They told website is fully deleted. The last thing I had to is to move to another host then opened a trial account at eSmrton.com hosting and had my website backup sent to my google drive everyday. Bottom line worst experience ever in GoDaddy. It's going down to hell literally.

Early this week, when I open our website, I FOUND our website was completely gone. Then, I called Godaddy, it took them almost 2 and half hours to figure out that the database was gone. SO, they opened an internal ticket to investigate my web and where is my database. They reply back that not with a signal apologized words, they can't recover my latest database. They have a local backup and central backup, both sides were gone. They would only be able to recover part of my web info which is 2 days early, so I have to live with my partly deleted website.

Again, this evening, which is 5 days later, my website is gone again for a different reason. The woocommerce plugin was gone automatically. I called in again, the tech helped me to restore the web. THEY REFUSE TO HAVE A RECORD TO DOCUMENT what happen this time. If you are doing a business, I am not sure if you want to go with Godaddy, due to the unstable server, poor service. If you want your web down all the time, go with Godaddy.

Hi there. On October 19, 2016, I reached Godaddy over phone for restore of files and database for my website which was a simple task, and the worst part of it is they don't know what time the site data backup will be done. They tried to restore it thrice because of their technical issues and finally they completely blown out my website. They said that to fix the issue they will take few hours and when I asked how many hours they said around 3 hours but can't guarantee that. Mine is a online grocery portal and if my site is down for 1 hour I will be impacted with huge losses. Now think if my website is down for 3 hours...

When I asked to provide the email ID of his manager for more than 5 times he will never provide it and one more worst part is, I requested him to call me back once the issue is resolved but he said he will never do that and instead asked me to refresh my screen for those many hours until the site is up and running. Finally, I asked him to get my email from my account and asked him to drop an email once the issue is resolved and he said he is not sure on that too. This is the worst ever conversation I have, and I highly not recommend GoDaddy.

My name is Steven ** and I currently have a VPS server with Godaddy. This is not my first VPS I had with them so when I signed up for my second one I was quite excited cause I know it's a good product and the service has always been great. My first company I sold to a South African based company and they are still happy with the service today. But... Ever since I signed up for my second round I've experienced some problems.

Less than two months ago there was a problem with the secureserver.net network and my server was offline for a whole day. I understand that there can be problems at times so I was understanding in the matter. Saturday I decided that it's time to upgrade to a faster VPS so I called in and one of their agents was very helpful and had my server upgraded in no time. This morning just after 5 AM I got a call from Hong Kong from one of my clients saying his email doesn't work.

After close inspection I saw that all my websites was offline. After speaking to one of their other agents he said that it's because of the upgrade and the agent who did the upgrade did in fact not finish the job, hence my problem. Currently I believe Godaddy Support are trying to resolve the problem, but it still does not solve the fact that I have lost valuable time and money. I've had several calls from clients who wants to move their business elsewhere. I had to give them 1 year free hosting to get them to bear with me in the wait.

I have account with Godaddy for years. Their business policy is ripping off in name of auto renewal. Once auto renewal is set no changes can be made and they keep drawing money whether you are using service or not. No account detail is provided in invoice. Whole business policy is full of ill intentions. I also wanted to stop my renewal two times and each time they don't let you do it. There is no contact or complaints section on their website. Whole thing is sneaky.

After spending a total of around 10 hrs working with GoDaddy tech support to figure out why my domain email was not working properly I was told that they had no idea why it was still not working and said they would issue a partial refund. I had to fight for over 2 hrs on the phone with customer service to get them to refund the amount only to find out they refunded to a store credit! I would NOT recommend this company if you value quality service and a working and functional product.

I was on the phone with GoDaddy Support & the rep offered to renew 18 lapsed domain names. I said fine, as long as it was just for a year and I wasn't purchasing any other services. To my horror, in addition to the renewal fees, I was charged $1,440 in "Redemption Fees" that the Godaddy representative never mentioned to me. Then came a series of chats and phone calls with customer service. I say a series, because you tend to get put on hold a lot and disconnected. Customer Service said that the rep should have informed me of the fees and indicated that GoDaddy would refund the $1,440. But they never did.

I just called them back to ask about it and they told me that because I had agreed to the purchase initially, they wouldn't give me a refund. The supervisor said the same thing. But not informing me of these exorbitant fees was clearly unethical, perhaps illegal. I have been using GoDaddy for at least a decade, paid them thousands & thousand in domain registration fees, despite their poorly designed, unnavigable website, terrible customer service and vulture-like sales reps. But this is the last straw. I urge people not to get tangled up in the GoDaddy web of greed and deceit.

I bought a website upgrade from Godaddy for $1495. The package included an upgrade from an earlier Godaddy site. All went well until Oct 3 when the final touches were to be finished by end of business day. These refinements were recording page urls so they back linked to my 6 year old site. Without this correction my new site would never connect to years of marketing. The fix was confirmed in writing to me twice. Oct 3 at 8:13 pm Godaddy called my home to say they could not do the work promised. Now they locked my development site without explanation.

The use of a few 301 redirects would fix this but Godaddy, a technical company, does not know how to do this? Their supervisor called 'John from the CEO's office' was rough and badgering. First telling me I would get a refund if I agreed to stop asking for the fix almost immediately. I begged them for a few extra hours to consider the offer. They rejected it as I want the site fixed, not the refund. He refused to give a name which is so unprofessional. I feel like we are dealing with thugs not a public company. And if they cannot fix the site, why did they tell me in writing and in the phone that they could? Had we known that this company has only 1 star here and hundreds of complaints elsewhere, we would have moved on. If anyone knows how we can get our site unlocked please let us know herein.

If there ever is a class action suit against Godaddy.com please count me in. I've never felt so taken advantage of in all of my life. As a medically retired individual in my mid-fifties, I fell for the advertising as an 'easy' way to set up a website to start your own small business. I felt it could be a good way to start up something at home to supplement my small disability income. I signed up, with no renewal. Set up a domain name, and tried out the web builder. Called up for support and lost patience before the month was up. Whenever I called up for support was spoken to like I was an idiot, and my last call asked them to cancel the web page. Figured it was done. Asked to keep my domain name, but was done with the website. This was about three and a half years ago.

I became very ill and over the past few years haven't had much support with my affairs and let so much go on the wayside as I was concentrating on my health. Last year I noticed a charge on my bank statement from them and called them up for almost a hundred dollars. They weren't able to answer my questions as they needed my web address, codes etc. They couldn't pull up any information with my name, address, and phone number, and as I was still undergoing medical care I just didn't have the energy to go through all the paperwork and try and 'remember' nor go on the computer to 'help' them figure it out, so another year went by.

Noticed another charge, so this year I had my daughter's support and we finally were able to take a few hours and get to the bottom of this. I phoned them with all of the information as I was hoping to ask them to research why this hadn't been cancelled, and at the very least reimburse me for this year's fees, and finally cancel the website.

After almost two hours on the phone, and being denied access to speak with a supervisor after asking politely several times feeling I was being more than patient with the situation, and aiming for a compromise, a solution without confrontation and having to put up with listening to the young people in the background dropping the 'f' bomb about every ten seconds and laughing and stating loudly 'got another one', was told by young Anthony that he had tried everything he could do to resolve the issue with his supervisors but there was nothing he could do. "Sorry Ma'am." Again when asked to speak to a supervisor, I was refused. Given another excuse.

I was even further insulted while he told me he had even talked to the supervisor's superiors while he put me on hold, which he was unaware he didn't put the 'hold' button on, while I heard even more 'f' bombs dropped, more laughter in the background by more young men and other rude comments while the rep paused while time passed while he waited to make even more excuses why I could not be given a refund and why he didn't understand why my account had not been closed after the first month when I stated that I requested it to be. It never even went live. I had started tinkering with it putting a few pictures in a few boxes, and when I got tech support, they weren't able to help so I gave up and asked them to cancel it. That's as far as I got.

So I asked for reaffirmation that my web account had now been officially closed and that there would no longer be any more payments charged to my account. The last charge was made this past June 2016. Only several months ago. So in total 4 payments of $95 were charged. A total of three (3) charges they were not entitled to take from me.

This whole scenario isn't just about money. It is about their business practice. How they make it so difficult to get into your account to cancel. How when you do cancel your account, and they tell you verbally your account is cancelled and they make an error they do not stand by their word. And although it took me awhile to realize the error due to my own health condition, when I did try to access the account with my personal information, they were unable to assist me. And once I did they were not able to fix the error.

Furthermore, just a heads up for any baby boomers who are considering starting a small business online, I would never recommend this site if you aren't already completely literate and technically inclined. This isn't a 'dummies' guide to starting your own website. The young people talk to you like you are a complete idiot. They talk down to you like you are a stupid granny, (I'm in my early 50's, used to be an executive assistant at a major airlines in Canada assisting at 23 airports, and university educated) and the kids have the patience of a donkey in heat, pardon my expression. They are trained for one thing, and one thing only, to get your credit card information, and sell you products.

The training and customer support is nonexistent. At least that has been my experience. And if you need help in cancelling your service, expect it to take several hours of your precious time. They are hoping you get frustrated and hang up, so the timeframe lapses and that you are charged, because if you are, the next time you call and if you are charged, they cannot refund you because of 'the policy'. It's a cat and mouse game.

I am now medically retired, living on a disability income. $95 may not seem like a lot to some. And I thought I was being more than fair only asking for one payment to be reimbursed. But to me that is almost a month's worth of groceries. So yes, I'm feeling very taken advantage of. I was concentrating on my health, and was amiss and didn't have any help during my illness to pay attention to my finances closely enough to see that someone at Godaddy didn't cancel my website when I requested it. That was my fault. But when I called and asked kindly for some compassion and a simple compromise for some resolution, one would think that it wasn't too much to ask. At least I didn't think so. I don't have the money to hire a lawyer, to fight this. I will concentrate my efforts on staying well and staying strong.

However, when I saw this website I thought that I would take a bit of my power back, and share my story so that perhaps even one person could be spared the frustration of being taken advantage of by this bunch of greedy business people that have no interest in Customer Service. They are more interested in branding, commercials and selling their product, and zero interest in actually following up with what they are selling. Once they have sold the product with all the hoopla, you have bought a pretty package with all the bows and ribbons. When you open the package, you may be sorrily disappointed. Buyer beware. This has been my own personal experience. And it has been truly disappointing. PS Damn it. If there's a lawsuit, there is no compromise. I want it all back. These guys are crooks in my opinion. LOL.

Tech support Edgar was NOT professional, period. Worse customer service. This gentleman only he knew what he was talking about but unable to help me how to fix my problem. He just wanted me to get out of his phone and take the next call... horrible call center environment. They train people to talk like robots and move on to the next call. Bad experience... I don't want to do business with company like this. I'm getting my money back.

I know I "un-clicked" the auto-renew button. Supposedly by their records show it was turned off. But refuse to refund my money. I turned it off and so did my husband. They're trying to tell me we both actually turn it right back on again. Bullcrap!!! This company is getting away with fraud! I'm so mad, this is ridiculous! This has got to be happening to thousands of people. I used my family checking account to pay for two domain names, because I hadn't set up my business account yet. I rarely use it, if it had been with my business account I would have seen the changes right away, so after 1 hour forty-five min. phone call telling me because I waited over five days I don't get a refund. I feel that their computer system is programmed to "screw citizens over" by automatically reactivating the auto renew. This is bad billing practices, fraud, deceptive practices, computer fraud.

As a website designer, I have been using Godaddy as a hosting source for many years for my clients (100+ websites) although for the last few months or so their customer service has become horrible. My last two conversations with Godaddy has been a very bad experience and their customer service representative was actually RUDE!! GoDaddy is now charging a ridiculous fees for help services that were included as part of their service for many years. Bottom line - use another source for your hosting. Don't use Godaddy. I am now looking for a new hosting provider for a ton of website!! Buyer beware.

Godaddy email servers have crashed in Asia Pacific over last one week; mails are not flowing in or mail deletions are not happening in the server side - just accumulating server space. Godaddy has been asking customers to adjust or pay more for additional server space if they wish to get some temporary fix. Blake Irving - CEO of Godaddy is just sleeping through this issue despite many tweets sent to him directly. Markets - be ready to see a major showdown of GoDaddy stocks in next few days/weeks considering there is NO ONE really bothered to fix the issues.

After being a customer for years! I have noticed this year that their service has gone right down with poorly trained staff at every level! Even the supervisor has no idea about customer service or more importantly customer retention! Had two weeks of hosting and domain troubles with them, told I should close a hosting account because "they" were having trouble upgrading the software on it. Told to move to a new account (up sell) then told I would get a refund when it was all sorted out. Rang to claim the refund and got "oh we had a policy change. That rep should not have told you that!" Disgrace! Save yourself a lot of future heartache and don't use Godaddy.com. Bob Parsons buy it back for peanut sooner or later and sort it out!

GoDaddy is the worst. They're extremely aggressive in selling you their hosting service, and lie about their offerings. They nickel and dime you for every little thing, so in the end you'll end upping pay a lot more than you were led to expect. The service is dreadful -- expect to wait 30-45 minutes each time you have a problem. The Web Designer is totally counter-intuitive and comes with hideous templates. If you make any changes your website will NOT be modified to look good on a mobile device (don't listen to what the sales person tells you). They promised to offer me a refund if I was unhappy with the plan, but when I tried to, they said they no longer do so. It's a really a company gone bad. Stay away and don't make the same mistake I did. Counting the days until my plan runs out.

Question and Answers - Godaddy.com

What problem is GoDaddy trying to solve?

There are approximately 210 million small businesses worldwide; GoDaddy helps them get online. We are dedicated to helping small businesses turn their powerful ideas into meaningful action. GoDaddy gives small business owners the tools to name their idea, build a beautiful online presence, attract customers and manage their business.

What sets GoDaddy apart from the competition?

Often technology companies force their customers to choose between technology and support, delivering one but not the other. At GoDaddy, we break that compromise and deliver both great products and great support to our customers. We believe engaging with our customers in a proactive, consultative way helps them knock down the technology hurdles they face. And, through the thousands of conversations we have with our customers every day, we receive valuable feedback that enables us to continually evolve our products and solutions.

What needs do your products services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

GoDaddy operates the world’s largest domain marketplace, where our customers can find the perfect name to match their idea. We provide website building, hosting and security tools to help customers easily construct and expand their online presence.

In addition, GoDaddy’s product suite includes Get Found to help small businesses attract new customers on popular destinations including Google and Yelp and Online Store which provides everything a small business owner needs to open and run a full ecommerce store. We also offer productivity tools including Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and Get Paid.

What sets us apart from competitors is our intense focus on customer service. About 60 percent of our workforce is dedicated to customer care. These are the friendly, knowledgeable and compassionate people who are there any time of day or night to help a customer resolve a problem or answer questions. Many of our customers tell us having our personalized technology resources available around the clock is like having their very own IT department at their disposal, at no cost.

How does GoDaddy measure success?

GoDaddy measures success against our mission and values. GoDaddy's mission is to radically shift the global economy toward small businesses by empowering people to easily start, confidently grow and successfully run their own ventures.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?

A common misconception about our industry is that you have to be “tech savvy” to create a website. At GoDaddy, we leverage what we know about our customers to give them simple products and services that work fit their needs. If they have questions, we have localized customer support agents available for personalized support around-the-clock.

Some consumers don’t know what GoDaddy does because of our past advertising. When Blake Irving joined as CEO in January 2013, he shifted GoDaddy’s advertising to focus on small businesses and how GoDaddy enables them to successfully get online and grow their digital presence.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

GoDaddy essentially ‘democratized’ domain names back when the company was born in 1997. Before the company launched, the domain name registration process was complicated and expensive. GoDaddy brought mainstream marketing, competitive prices, reliable technology and personalized customer service to the early days of domain name registration, which revolutionized the registrar landscape and propelled GoDaddy to its No. 1 ranking in the world.

Today, GoDaddy has evolved and provides small businesses owners with the products and services they need to manage and grow their business. GoDaddy offers Website Builder, Online Store and professional design services for websites.

GoDaddy also offers Get Found, to help small businesses attract new customers and productivity tools including: Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and a tool to help small businesses Get Paid.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about GoDaddy?

Has your business received any awards that your customers would like to know about?

In 2014, GoDaddy won the following awards: 2014 Stevie Awards Sales & Customer Service, Bay Area’s 2014 Top Work Places (Bay Area News Group), Washington’s 100 Best Companies to Work For (Seattle Business Magazine), Iowa’s 2014 Top Workplaces (Des Moines Register), 2014 Best Places to Work in the Valley (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 AZ Most Admired Companies (AZ Big Media), 2014 Valley’s Healthiest Employers (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 Arizona Corporate Counsel Awards.

How has GoDaddy grown or evolved?

GoDaddy has refined its user-experience and reinvigorated product offerings sharply focused on helping small businesses effortlessly leverage the power of the Internet. GoDaddy has also shifted our brand strategy to revolve around small businesses.

Compare Web Hosting