Godaddy.com

Compare Web Hosting

Research top Web Hosting recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Last month our business site hosted on GoDaddy crashed. During conversations on fixing it, I agreed to pay for another year of hosting for $146 (I still had about a week left on account). After approximately a week of back and forth on crashed website, and techs telling me it was fixed, when it was not -- I decided to cancel hosting with GoDaddy and switch to Weebly. I called and cancelled my hosting account (no problem). I then started the process of moving my domain name. It went fairly well. Then the credit card bill... due to "domain name transfer request falling outside of the 5 day window" GoDaddy charged me $27 for the next year of domain name with them. I was a happy customer of GoDaddy for at least a decade -- but due to this experience, I will not recommend GoDaddy to anyone.

I'm just the little guy. Godaddy always treated me right in the past. Proof you can trust what I say? I am logged in to ConsumerAffairs through a long time established Facebook account and srsos.com/org are among my websites that were with Godaddy for years until the new ownership forced me away. Absolutely RUDE new customer service and changing of terms of service, rates mid-billing cycle.

I only had those sites and a couple of other sites with them, as well as a few selected friends I was doing sites for, that I brought over to Godaddy, but they treated me like dirt this past renewal cycle so I switched to a different domain and host provider. I would NOT trust them to even do a domain search while logged out; they might steal it from out under you. It's like their new business model upon transfer of the company to the new owners was "Run it into the ground" girls and boys. Kruger Industrial Smoothing all the way. If I could give less than one star, I would.

I had a very strange experience with GoDaddy today. It is time for my website renewal, so I call GoDaddy to ask for any special rates or discounts. A rep named Shawn made it seem like he was giving me a deal, which I later found out was just deception and a scheme to get me to pay. Once I found this out I immediately called GoDaddy to dispute this type of fraud customer service. A rep named Kiersten answered and we kind of got into it. No help. So I called back and got a rep named Thomas. I asked to speak directly to a supervisor but was told that the department didn't have one. I found this hard to believe. I explained the situation to the rep who assured me about the discount policy and to notate my account when my next renewal came about that I'd experienced this inconvenience. Now, after having PAID for a renewal, my Cpanel is down. I can't work on my site. Customer service line is taking forever. My email accounts have been deleted.

I have a forward in my domain that I never set up. Something very weird is going on, and I feel it may be due to the issue I had with billing. GoDaddy assured me they'd never compromise the integrity of my account, but it sure does feel like an angry rep has meddled with and disabled my account. I'm resolving the issue with customer service now, but I would say: Do NOT choose GoDaddy for hosting. BEWARE! They aren't delivering on their promise by scamming folks on supposed discounts, then tampering with their accounts. Be warned!

I closed a business of 7 years after welcoming our first baby boy. I contacted Godaddy.com over a year ago to make certain no automatic charges would occur on my visa business card after closing down my site. It's been over a year since I closed my website and have not had any access to webmail and the site is down. After selling off equipment I finally close down my visa business card, line of credit. I pay it off, which takes about 24-48 hours to finalize the closing process.

Assuming all is said and done I check back in with the bank after the holidays to find the visa did not close, because out of the blue after no contact with this company for over a year, godaddy, withdrew 500.00 from my visa within that 24-48 hour period of the card closing. So, I contact godaddy to see what this is all about. I was shocked, because for 7 years, I never paid them more than 150.00 annually for their service. They say that they had some policy changes, emailed me about them to a web address that has NOT existed for over a year and though my site was closed there are still URL's out there for a business I no longer have.

I told them I never authorized that payment, and would not have paid that amount for a business that no longer exists, let alone one that does. I also reinforced that they assured me everything was closed and my final payment to them was the last. They claimed it's their new policy and I did not receive the new policy info because I no longer have access to the webmail that I closed down with them. These guys are crookedly and unethically trying to find loopholes to take unauthorized funds. I assured them that. They were clear with me about closing down my site and anything related to my business and all business associated with Godaddy.

It was hard enough letting go of a business I built from the ground up, but finally paying off my dues, to find out they are not finalized because of this randomness godaddy charge that happened within 24 hours of the card closing was more than upsetting. I am a young woman, married only two years with a 14 month old baby boy, just trying to honestly close down my business, pay off my dues and focus on raising my family. Just when I think I have conquered that goal this company draws enough funds within a very short period of time from the card being unaccessable, to keep me in a place of debt.

They claim there withdrawn is valid because they sent some new policy notification to a web address that is no longer in use? Why did I not receive a phone call, as they well know the web address is no longer existent? Not to mention when I was in business and doing well, numerous times the godaddy site had severe issues where my clients could not access the online shopping cart and at times the website alone. Thank god I had my major retailers and distributors to supply, because if I was working solely from online sales that would have set me back more than I want to imagine. I give zero stars, I face negative stars for their business tactics. Godaddy is unethical and in my opinion fraudulent! Beware of these guys.

GoDaddy sent an email to an inaccessible old email address then cut off our service. Two weeks of multiple emails, phone calls, and submitting documentation (such as incorporation documents and driver's license) and they still haven't responded going on the fourth day. This company acts like this is a problem they have never encountered before, are not proactive at all in helping, and seem much more interested in up-selling and being defensive about their lack of responsiveness. The message to me is clear "we really don't care about your problem".

This is not to say that the customer service reps have been un-professional - they have been fine - but it seems the corporate culture, as evidenced by the "scripted rote responses" is a big problem. GoDaddy has been the only provider I've used but this experience convinces me not to recommend them to anyone and I certainly would not buy anything from them again without a lot of testimony that changes have been made!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy.com?

Customer Service is appalling. Their attitude is "screw the consumer" in every case. Example, I purchased 4 websites for 2 years. They renewed with NO authorization from me. Then told me there was NO recourse after 5 days. Even though I didn't even know they charged me for 3 weeks.

BUYER BEWARE - Godaddy will NOT refund or prorate your service if you are unhappy, not even if you are unsatisfied with the product. Yes, Godaddy is cheaper but their newsletter deliverability rating is lower. My newsletters ended up in my friends' junk mails (even friends who I exchange email with regularly). I sent newsletters out of both MailChimp and Godaddy.

My open rates on GoDaddy were 25-35% lower, and my unsubscribes significantly higher: went from .001% on Mailchimp to .01% on Godaddy. I speculate the second - send feature may be the cause of the higher unsubscribes. Also BUYER BEWARE - Godaddy will NOT refund or prorate your service if you are unhappy, not even if you are unsatisfied with the product. You get 30 days. After that whatever you invested is theirs, even if the service is unsatisfactory or substandard. So I thought I was saving money, but in the end I lost both money and subscribers.

I spent over 1800 for a custom designed e-commerce website from GoDaddy. After 2 months' worth of going back and forth to try and get them to create BASIC things for example: what text or pictures should be in the front page. I requested a refund. They say I am not eligible for a refund. Here is their return policy

"Professional Web Design Services. Web Services: 30% cancellation fee when in progress, non-refundable once complete." This project was NOT completed. I did NOT sign off on it or give my verbal agreement.

Here is what they say about "complete". "Completion of Service. Publication of your Design is acknowledgement of your satisfaction with the Services provided to date and releases us from any obligation for further revisions or alterations at that time or until the next Update Minutes are initiated. You also acknowledge and agree that once your Design is published, you will not be entitled to any credits or refunds for any reason including, but not limited to, dissatisfaction with your Design." They are claiming that when they posted the new website in a non searchable sub-domain for me to review for changes, that that is what they call "Publication of your Design". I have the emails from our correspondence.

I have two sites that I've had for over year. I'd google each site just to see if they were up on Google.com. One was on Google.com... My other site didn't exist if you just type the title. If I typed in the ENTIRE site name (with .com at the end), there would be a link on Google.com that displayed my real name... which I never annotated on godaddy.com (other than my credit card information) in the first place. My author name was only used on my godaddy.com platform. Why would godaddy.com allow for my credit card information (w / my real name) be displayed anywhere on Google? Please share your experience if you have had the same issue. Thanks!

They overpromise, overcharge and don't deliver. I showed them what I wanted from BlueHost and gave GoDaddy a chance to compete for my business. They showed a package that had the same features at a lower price. It turns out that they didn't include as many free email accounts as BlueHost at the promised price. Performance of the website was terrible. They told me to switch from "Managed Wordpress" to "Cpanel". I did so. Without telling me, they billed me for the switch. Performance was still terrible. I had to spend more money to increase capacity.

I'm a Voice over Guy for commercials, narrations, promos for radio and TV stations. I worked with GoDaddy ten years ago to build a website and included audio demos of my work for prospective clients. Over the years I've had people tell me they couldn't hear my demos when they clicked on them. I've called several times over the years asking what could be done about it. I've been assured that your tech folks would fit the problem. The last call was August 10, 2015. The advisor told me he had a team that would see the problem was fixed. I assumed it was. I've had a few more calls recently from prospective clients saying they couldn't hear the demos. And I am about to ask tech support for help in uploading new demos I have just completed.

So I called and spoke with some of your tech people tonight, explained the history and the problem, spent half an hour while that rep consulted with her colleagues. She said the problem was that people responding had to have the latest version of FLASH on their iPhones, iPads or computers. Ten years after building the site I hear this. She then offered the following: I should investigate websites which could convert my MP3s so they could be used on my GoDaddy website. Upgrade to Version 7 because Version 6 which I've had does not support MP3s. A three month extension of my contract with GoDaddy.

Completely unacceptable to me. I paid hundreds of dollars over the years assuming I was getting complete web hosting and assuming that my demos would play for clients who went to the site and clicked on the demos page. Who knows how many of those years have passed and how many prospective clients have simply not considered me for their job because they couldn't hear samples of what I've done. I have not gotten what I have paid for. Regardless of the number of phone calls. Or the number of your tech reps I've spoken with. Again, I have assumed the problem has been fixed. I've stuck with GoDaddy all these years.

I believe you owe me. I believe GoDaddy should upgrade my website to Version 7 and include my demos as MP3 at no cost to me. And I believe GoDaddy should extend my agreement for at least two years at no cost to me. I have believed GoDaddy's commitment to make the world better, one domain at a time. I have believed your motto to hustle, adapt, listen and repeat. GoDaddy has failed to deliver on its commitment to me. I believe GoDaddy is better than this. And I am counting on you to make it right.

48 hrs of fiasco with Godaddy trying to cancel an order within 3 hrs of purchase - by email and phone. Some of their CS staff are dead-pan unhelpful, passive aggressive and need retraining. After multiple emails and calls where they insisted that they could not cancel my order or refund my payment without my sending them my personal data. I emailed again today, copied to director of customer services and Nominet. Immediate response... 'order cancelled'! I wish I had done some research before purchase. First thing tomorrow I will be asking our consultant to move our website/emails to a different firm.

Godaddy is cheating the clients. I bought a domain with email marketing service. After setting up the website when we tried to configure email accounts we realized that they do not give email facility. When I buy a domain any other service provider would give the email facility. When I bought email marketing service, they should not have given that if the email facility is not available. There is no email address or active chat service available to complain. Chat service is always offline. Only a Singapore contact number is given to contact and when contacted them, the automatic answering service request various confirmations and at last cut off the call. People should refrain buying services from Godaddy and the authorities should investigate about their unethical and unfair business practices and cheating the clients.

I raised a request on 6th March 2016 but never received my money. Called them a lot of times only to hear that I will get a callback from billing team, which never happened. Ended up losing my money!!! Never ever go for GoDaddy.

I purchased the domain names and I hosted the site for more than 7 months while I was using credential mobile number pin generated every login. But after 7 months I got a message from Godaddy that "Your account credentials has been transferred." My domain was moved from my account. Godaddy sucks. After that they are saying me go for legal action. Never trust Godaddy!

Ensure that credit card number is not registered at website as Godaddy conveniently auto renews the service without permission. Also though site says you can deselect the option, this facility is conveniently disabled in their site. A nice way to earn revenue. What sorry state of affairs. This website should be banned.

I've lost all faith in GoDaddy! The office email product is a joke. First it was not set up for DKIM emails like Gmail or Yahoo (so you come up as "un-verified" when sending to one of the @gmail.com etc emails) - now that that got sorted I will still look like a spammer to all my Gmail and Yahoo clientele because they'll get a "Sent from: "...onmicrosoft.com" email instead of my domain email. So un-professional. I just paid for an email that I can't use... Will stop recommending GoDaddy to all my web design customers looking for a new domain from now on. Don't purchase this unless you ONLY SEND TO MICROSOFT OUTLOOK people. Otherwise you'll be marked as spam.

I move to GoDaddy because I wanted professional service and support despite a higher cost. It has been complete disappointment. The server is slow and the helpline is hopeless. Even on low traffic times you will have to wait half an hour at least. My current issue is that the server my service is running on at GoDaddy turns out to be blacklisted at 3 listing sites because some of the site running here don't comply. GoDaddy don't ensure that the server is in good standing which result in a lot of emails from me are rejected by the major sites like Facebook, Linkedin, USPS and many others. My only option start the process to move to another host than GoDaddy.

Very poor customer service and horrible experience. I was with GoDaddy for six years. I had credit card issues with my bank and needed to change credit cards. Godaddy took my website down after missed payment of 10 days and wanted to charge me $150 dollars to get it back up. I just happened to visit ConsumerAffairs and see all the negative complaints and I know why... GoDaddy is Horrible and I would never recommend them.

Can't email GoDaddy and while they say you can chat, I've never gone on when the service is actually available. I cancelled my sites and have been being bombarded with emails many times a day since then.

Key features: 24/7 technical support - call with a concern and I guarantee there will be no resolution. 99.9% uptime guarantee - this a bold face lie. Unlimited traffic - slowest paid for service I have ever used, will never use or recommend. WordPress integration - lie. Money-back guarantee - lie. 24/7 security, DDoS protection -lie.

Godaddy is absolutely the worst product I have ever encountered. Software deleted my existing email account in outlook. Customer service stated this is not their problem as MS Outlook is a third party vendor. REALLY. Run, this product and company are horrible. No matter what I attempt to do, I cannot restore my original email account in MS Outlook. I have tried logging into Microsoft and adding a new account with my original account, and it repeatedly states my original account needs to be repaired. Repair it, as many times as I try, my original email will not show up in outlook. I have tried all of the Microsoft fixes, none of them works. I have tried all the PC repair alternatives; they as well do not work. I am extremely technically and computer savvy, and I now understand I will have to uninstall MS Outlook, or attempt to send an email to everyone in my address book, while copying myself to save all my 336 contacts.

This is perhaps the worst example of a company I have experienced to date. I have 35-years of Consumer package goods sales, customer service, management, and training experience. This company needs to be driven out of business, or an investigation needs to occur relative to their business behavior. Given the money they spend in advertising, one would assume they are spending as much in congress. I believe I should be compensated for the six (6) hours I have spent trying to restore my own email, and then the four (4+) hours it will take to rebuild my email account. I am speechless, frustrated, fired up, and GoDaddy says "This is not our fault, use web mail, your computer is not our problem, and I WILL not help you or find anyone who will." RUN AWAY, DON'T SPEND A NICKEL AT GODADDY.

My friend told me to go to Squarespace to make my website. My friend was smart. I was not. I chose godaddy.com. Not long after, I canceled my subscription to Godaddy. They still continue to leech 15 dollars a month out of my account. Seriously driving me crazy. I had to cancel my card. It got so bad. DO NOT USE THESE SLEAZY SCUMBAGS! I PLEAD WITH YOU! YOU WILL ONLY REGRET IT! If I could give negative stars I would.

I signed up for a domain name and other services were added without my permission. They continued to charge my account on a monthly basis even though the website was not in use. They made six different charges to my bank account and when I asked them why, they informed me that I had neglected to turn off the automatic payment system. I told them that they had a record of the fact that I had not used the service for almost a year but they said that the charges would not be refunded. I didn't ask for any charges going back before October, I simply asked for a refund of the October charges. They are a ripoff.

I have been with GoDaddy since it started about 1997, and had several domains, websites, and created many new domain names and websites for my customers all the time recommending GoDaddy. I have since retired as a IT professional, and I am 78 years old. Their service was great until last month, when in renewing my basic service, I apparently "clicked" on something called "bookkeeping", which then added that service to my account.

Later I saw an additional $9 show up on my bank account. I then replied back to two items I got from GoDaddy, requesting that bookkeeping be dropped from my account. After about a month with no results, I called them on the phone, to clear a "bookkeeping" service which accidentally got added to my account, after having sent a reply message twice to get it cleared, to no avail. I first talked to an Andrew, and getting no cooperation, I had to request 7 times to talk to a supervisor, because he kept arguing with me about what I expected a supervisor to do for me.

Finally he connected me to a supervisor, named Keith, who took my complaint and request for a refund on the unwanted $9.00 bookkeeping service. He said he was getting a lot of such complaints, but that GoDaddy had "screwed down" their policy, and No refunds could be made which went back more than 30 days. AND HE SAID THEY ALSO WERE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE ME A $9 CREDIT TO FUTURE BILLING!!! He put me on hold, asked some policy people to bypass the policy and get me a refund, they denied the request. So I am looking for another hosting service.

I have over 50 domains with GoDaddy. The credit card associated with one of them was renewed with a new number. They continued to charge me for everything on the new card but suddenly killed the website associated with the old number. They then charged me an extra $60 to reopen it. I wrote the CEO and their "Customer Service" to get the overcharge corrected. Nothing. Watch your back when you are dealing with these snakes.

Godaddy is fraud company. They don't have any kind of security for their clients. They have stolen my money. They have looted their clients. They must be shut down. I will file an Legal FIR very soon against them.

This review only touches upon GoDaddy.com's billing department. It seems they piece meal everything so you end up paying more. They use this approach to confuse you when they say you still owe for one thing when you thought you already paid for it. When you try to question them, they get belligerent with one asking me in a rude manner "do you want to get your emails or what?" Wow! If my employees acted like this, they wouldn't have a job.

If you want to buy a domain, please be aware, Godaddy sells/gives your info out... I recently purchased a new domain name and a day later I started receiving calls all hours of the day from companies wanting to help me with my new domain. This was about a week ago and I'm still getting about 10-20 calls per/day... Prior to registering a new domain my phone would barely ring. Now it rings all day long.

I just learned the hard way that the devil is in the details. GoDaddy has a very small one line in their contract that states they will automatically renew your domain after 1 year if they don't hear from you. Ok most companies try this, the real rub is that when you fail to notify them and you don't op, they charge $95 for the domain in year 2. Normal rates are around $10-15. So GoDaddy took my money without providing any real value. I was robbed and there is not much I can do other than try to spread the word on companies that would rather steal than to provide a real service. GoDaddy you can take you crappy brand and Go To **!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

GoDaddy is one of the most popular web hosts in the world, and currently serves over 45 million domains. It is known for its low cost, domain name auctions, and its back-ordering policy for unavailable domains.

• Easy to use: GoDaddy comes with an integrated control panel that makes it easy to access email, upload web page files, and install add-ons.
  • Straightforward setup: Once you purchase hosting services, it is easy to set up your account and begin using it.
  • 24-hour customer support: GoDaddy offers a variety of customer support options 24 hours a day. There is an online FAQ to help customers get answers to common problems they may encounter. Phone and email support is also available. Despite GoDaddy’s size, customer service emails are answered within 24 hours.
  • Website builder costs extra: Customers who don’t want to design their website from scratch must pay extra fees to access GoDaddy’s website builder tools, although the tools are very useful for both beginning and seasoned web designers.
  • Storage space: The economy plan comes with only 10GB of storage space – enough for most small business owners, but anyone who plans to expand his/her business and consequently his/her website may end up paying more for extra space. Even GoDaddy’s advanced plans offer comparatively little space – you can get unlimited storage space and bandwidth, but your database is limited to 1GB.
  • Shopping cart: Ecommerce tools cost extra, and the shopping cart has an inventory cap. If you want to offer more inventory, you have to pay an extra fee.
  • Best for Personal website owners, web hosting companies and bloggers.

Question and Answers - Godaddy.com

What problem is GoDaddy trying to solve?

There are approximately 210 million small businesses worldwide; GoDaddy helps them get online. We are dedicated to helping small businesses turn their powerful ideas into meaningful action. GoDaddy gives small business owners the tools to name their idea, build a beautiful online presence, attract customers and manage their business.

What sets GoDaddy apart from the competition?

Often technology companies force their customers to choose between technology and support, delivering one but not the other. At GoDaddy, we break that compromise and deliver both great products and great support to our customers. We believe engaging with our customers in a proactive, consultative way helps them knock down the technology hurdles they face. And, through the thousands of conversations we have with our customers every day, we receive valuable feedback that enables us to continually evolve our products and solutions.

What needs do your products services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

GoDaddy operates the world’s largest domain marketplace, where our customers can find the perfect name to match their idea. We provide website building, hosting and security tools to help customers easily construct and expand their online presence.

In addition, GoDaddy’s product suite includes Get Found to help small businesses attract new customers on popular destinations including Google and Yelp and Online Store which provides everything a small business owner needs to open and run a full ecommerce store. We also offer productivity tools including Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and Get Paid.

What sets us apart from competitors is our intense focus on customer service. About 60 percent of our workforce is dedicated to customer care. These are the friendly, knowledgeable and compassionate people who are there any time of day or night to help a customer resolve a problem or answer questions. Many of our customers tell us having our personalized technology resources available around the clock is like having their very own IT department at their disposal, at no cost.

How does GoDaddy measure success?

GoDaddy measures success against our mission and values. GoDaddy's mission is to radically shift the global economy toward small businesses by empowering people to easily start, confidently grow and successfully run their own ventures.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?

A common misconception about our industry is that you have to be “tech savvy” to create a website. At GoDaddy, we leverage what we know about our customers to give them simple products and services that work fit their needs. If they have questions, we have localized customer support agents available for personalized support around-the-clock.

Some consumers don’t know what GoDaddy does because of our past advertising. When Blake Irving joined as CEO in January 2013, he shifted GoDaddy’s advertising to focus on small businesses and how GoDaddy enables them to successfully get online and grow their digital presence.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

GoDaddy essentially ‘democratized’ domain names back when the company was born in 1997. Before the company launched, the domain name registration process was complicated and expensive. GoDaddy brought mainstream marketing, competitive prices, reliable technology and personalized customer service to the early days of domain name registration, which revolutionized the registrar landscape and propelled GoDaddy to its No. 1 ranking in the world.

Today, GoDaddy has evolved and provides small businesses owners with the products and services they need to manage and grow their business. GoDaddy offers Website Builder, Online Store and professional design services for websites.

GoDaddy also offers Get Found, to help small businesses attract new customers and productivity tools including: Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and a tool to help small businesses Get Paid.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about GoDaddy?

Has your business received any awards that your customers would like to know about?

In 2014, GoDaddy won the following awards: 2014 Stevie Awards Sales & Customer Service, Bay Area’s 2014 Top Work Places (Bay Area News Group), Washington’s 100 Best Companies to Work For (Seattle Business Magazine), Iowa’s 2014 Top Workplaces (Des Moines Register), 2014 Best Places to Work in the Valley (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 AZ Most Admired Companies (AZ Big Media), 2014 Valley’s Healthiest Employers (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 Arizona Corporate Counsel Awards.

How has GoDaddy grown or evolved?

GoDaddy has refined its user-experience and reinvigorated product offerings sharply focused on helping small businesses effortlessly leverage the power of the Internet. GoDaddy has also shifted our brand strategy to revolve around small businesses.

Compare Web Hosting