Godaddy.com

Godaddy.com

3.5/5 (562 ratings)

About Godaddy.com

GoDaddy is a web host and domain provider that offers multiple website plans and features. One of the largest domain-hosting companies, GoDaddy also provides multiple add-on services and 24/7 customer support.

Pros

• One of the largest domain hosts
  • Plans for Linux and Windows
  • 24/7 phone support

Cons

• Extra cost for backup
  • Limited live chat help

Bottom Line

GoDaddy is a web host and domain registrar. It offers affordable introductory rates and some free features in the first year. Many of its features come with extra costs that can add up quickly.

Top Godaddy.com Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy?

Verified

I have been hosting my business site with Godaddy for more than 10 years… I've had to call with questions many times and was very impressed each time that I got a human on the pho...

Verified

...GoDaddy has been amazing. A human is always available -- very short wait times and their tech support goes out of their way to help. I know enough to set up a web page -- but I...

What is GoDaddy?

GoDaddy is a domain registrar and web host that has been around for more than 20 years. It claims a 99.95% uptime, meaning its site interruptions are rare. The company also offers 24/7 support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

With GoDaddy, you can add email and other features to your domain for a fee. Add-ons like daily backups and SSL certificate might cost extra, depending on the plan you choose. Overall, GoDaddy is easy to use, especially for those who aren’t experienced in website building.

GoDaddy hosting plans

GoDaddy offers several hosting packages, but all plans include unmetered bandwidth and free one-click WordPress installation. Here’s a breakdown of the company’s hosting plans:

• Economy: Offers basic resources for those just starting. Includes one website, 100 GB of storage, standard performance and 10 databases.
  • Deluxe: Offers more space and flexibility. Comes with unlimited websites and storage, standard performance and 25 databases.
  • Ultimate: A good choice for heavier-traffic WordPress sites. Includes unlimited websites and storage, increased processing power and unlimited databases.
  • Maximum: Intended for complex sites with high-resolution photo and video. Comes with unlimited websites and storage, increased processing power and unlimited databases.

Each plan also offers a free domain for your first term. The Ultimate and Maximum plans include a free SSL certificate.

GoDaddy pricing

GoDaddy offers introductory promotional prices, but you’ll have to pay the regular price when your account renews. Also, although the prices are listed by month, GoDaddy charges annually. The promotional and standard costs are:

• Economy: $2.99 a month, then $7.99 a month on renewal
  • Deluxe: $4.99 a month, then $10.99 a month on renewal
  • Ultimate: $5.99 a month, then $16.99 a month on renewal
  • Maximum: $12.99 a month, then $24.99 a month on renewal

Once your first term is up, the price for a domain is $17.99. GoDaddy’s email services start at $5.99, and the cost of its website builder ranges from $10 to $25 a month.

Overall, your GoDaddy website might cost around $36 to $160 annually for your first term, but the price will jump to an average of $200 to $350 annually after renewal.

GoDaddy FAQ

What is GoDaddy used for?
GoDaddy is used primarily as a web host. You can also purchase a domain name from the company.
Do I own my domain name with GoDaddy?
When you register a domain name with GoDaddy, you own the name. If you let your registration expire, you lose the domain.
How does GoDaddy work?
You pay GoDaddy to register a user name and/or host your website. When your contract ends, you can choose to renew or let your domain and name expire.
What does GoDaddy do?
GoDaddy hosts millions of websites and associated email addresses. The company is one of the largest domain hosts in the world.
How much does GoDaddy’s web builder cost?
Depending on the plan you choose, GoDaddy’s web builder can cost between $9.99 and $24.99 a month when billed annually.
Is GoDaddy a good host?
It’s one of the largest hosts and is generally reputable. It does, however, charge extra for features other hosts offer free.

Is GoDaddy good?

GoDaddy is one of the most commonly used web hosts and domain registrars in the industry. That said, the company has mixed customer reviews — many don’t appreciate its high renewal fees, and GoDaddy charges extra for several features other hosts offer at no cost. If you’re looking for a web host and domain registrar, make sure to shop around before committing. You could find a company that better suits your needs and your budget.

Godaddy.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Godaddy.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

This web host was exactly what I needed. I’m trying to start a small business to make some extra income and this company has helped me out tremendously. They offer so many services and products that are very beneficial to someone starting out.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

This site is super easy to use and very affordable. I had no problems building a site from scratch with little to no skills in technology. My wife found it easy to use and manipulate. I would say this service is great for a beginners or seasoned technician.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I’ve had very little experience with Godaddy but it’s the only platform on the list that I’ve even heard about. They have advertised and can help with advertising. They are well known a very unique company. Many people use godaddy because they have a long standing reputation.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Godaddy is user friendly, and adaptive. Once you get past the fear of setting up your domains. It goes quickly. I found it helpful, the prompts make it easy to go to the next step. Customer support was friendly and knowledgeable. I liked the site and would recommend to anyone willing to start a business for themselves. The draw back was, the space was limited for what I wanted to do. But all in all it was a good site.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Absolutely amazing customer service from the Hosting Department with Nathan.... This guy was phenomenal.... I knew nothing about an FTP server, he waited patiently for an exact hour, nine minutes and 29 seconds on a phone call to help me with a successful Thanksgiving presentation for my family.... I demand a promotion for this guy.... Wooooowww, absolutely amazing.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

** Misleading pricing - $350 in "surprise charges" that were needed for the website that included the Yoast plug in and $150 by the Go Daddy SEO group to move forward with more than 6 keywords in the meta data.

** Misleading information - I paid for a "custom website" and the design was forced into a templated version except for the Contact Page. The client was extremely unhappy with the 1st and 2nd revisions and thought the design was boring.

** Lack of design and technical expertise - I found out with the 2nd firm I had to retain that they couldn't make the home page design work for me just as Go Daddy had a problem but they told me they couldn't adjust the home page hero section image so I could get the look I wanted. I had a graphic designer size the pictures and not the hero section looks perfect.

** Misleading communications about project management: The project manager had the 45 minute - 1 hour initial call, then a preliminary design was submitted, then she told me "after the fact" that I only had one hour to provide my changes since the phone call ended and she told me that the project would move to another group.

** Poor communications once I was dumped by the Project Manager into this new group - This group had no project manager, no confirmation of changes made, could not make simple changes but could not tell me why, now supervisors who would take action to response my problems. I spoke to more than 9 people. Could not or would not make the changes I asked them.

** ZERO concern for customer satisfaction. I escalated my issues to 2 different supervisors neither of which intervened with the developers to help me get the website that would satisfy my client. My request for a refund (see below) was completely rejected.

I made the difficult decision that I could NOT work with Go Daddy and told my client that. After more than 12 successful website installations, this was the first company would could not deliver. I asked for a refund from Go Daddy for a $500 credit on development, a credit of $150 for the one year hosting, a credit of $180 for the Yoast Plug in which is what they said I needed to order plus the $100 that I had to pay the Go Daddy SEO group so that the Yoast plug in could be installed. Go Daddy refused. When I asked for a refund on the 1st year hosting, they said that I had to pay for the development system. The supervisor repeatedly said they had to charge the first year hosting even though there was a 1 year delay from the date the project was paid for in Mar/Apr 2020 and when we started fresh with the preliminary hour consult in Apr 2021.

We found another website development firm who made ALL my changes and recommendations on design and now my client finds the new website very COMPELLING website. The bad news is that my client had to pay extra money and suffer the delays.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I wanted to have my storefront hosted at GoDaddy. I have a Squarespace Trial going simultaneously and have web sites in progress at both sites to compare. The Squarespace site is ahead in progress of the GoDaddy. And after several days of working on this I didn't start swearing at the screen until trying to use GoDaddy's free web creation software. It has some attractive features but compared to Squarespace it is unsophisticated, clunky, hard to use, and not really user friendly.

The menus are more hidden than obvious with novice users probably struggling for an hour just to figure out how to delete a picture from a lay-out. I'm an advanced web creator and my main complaint is the slowness of loads during the web creation process. I'm often second-guessing myself wondering if elements are going to actually appear. I thought I was doing something wrong. No, GoDaddy's site was lagging. I have to click on buttons some times 4 times to move images. That seems to be the main problem. Image manipulation.

Also, photos will auto adjust in some circumstances. In others they will not, such as no matter how you fix the settings the top and bottoms of books will be chopped if they are solid color. I don't like that at all. As expected from past experience, I was armed with dual thumbnails. Even the 2.75 thumbnails were getting chopped by GoDaddy if the top and bottom fields of the book were solid color. I could not defeat the problem in the settings after fooling around with it for about 2 hours. And that was just one issue with image problems with this software. There were other glitches that burned my time. Making me duplicate things because they didn't load right the first time. Not just clunky, highly flawed and buggy. I hack computer games and was designing commercial web sites 20 years ago. I know junk software when I see it.

So many of the settings seem to be beyond the user's control. You never know if background colors will register. Like five minutes later suddenly my black background would appear. What? What took it so long? I would suggest GoDaddy strongly for casual web site designers just doing informational pages. For them this is a great host site and highly recommended. For a commercial web site selling 5000 book titles? GoDaddy isn't going to work for me. You can't move files quickly in bulk like you can at Squarespace. And there is not unlimited data movement, storage, and e-mails like at Squarespace for just a couple more dollars per month.

I know people love GoDaddy but if I tried building my storefront here it will take me months just to finish the web site because of the limitations of their clunky software. The difference being between riding a bicycle and driving a Ferrari. I've worked on the Trial site here all day and haven't gotten far at all. Like my feet are stuck in mud with the slow page and image loads. The functions and tabs are just all wrong. The engineers need better direction for the novices. More obvious tabs. I don't understand software engineers who have big black fields available on the page but force users to search for hidden menus. They make you do the drop-down instead of putting the information all visible at once. Why are web developers so addicted to drop-down menus? Is it like mandatory like putting on your shoes or something? You have space, put the directions where people can see them.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I've been trying to get my email via "Mail" a Mac app. No one at GoDaddy has been able to help me with this! All of my email via GoDaddy's Outlook program goes into the trash folder!!! If I take it out, it is automatically re-trashed!!! Even GoDaddy's own email is shunted to the trash folder!!! I have spent hours with tech support trying to fix this problem to no avail. I give up!

Phil

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

Customer service is the worst I ever dealt with. Completely ripped off the consumer. Disgusted. Use another company to build your website. When you call customer service/billing, and you ask for a supervisor, apparently the supervisors don't have a boss. I had to do a chargeback on my credit card because they illegally charged my card.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

Go Daddy puts people on the phone who just tell you what you want to hear just because they upgraded their servers it should be their responsibility to move the site information! With my site being down I was losing money because people could not find my site! Guess I will have to find a company who knows what they are doing

Godaddy.com Company Information