Godaddy.com

Godaddy.com
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.10/5

GoDaddy is a web host and domain provider that offers multiple website plans and features. One of the largest domain-hosting companies, GoDaddy also provides multiple add-on services and 24/7 customer support.

BOTTOM LINE

GoDaddy is a web host and domain registrar. It offers affordable introductory rates and some free features in the first year. Many of its features come with extra costs that can add up quickly.

PROS

• One of the largest domain hosts
  • Plans for Linux and Windows
  • 24/7 phone support

CONS

• Extra cost for backup
  • Limited live chat help

Top Godaddy.com Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy?

I have been hosting my business site with Godaddy for more than 10 years… I've had to call with questions many times and was very impressed each time that I got a human on the phone who… was friendly and understood exactly what the problem was...

...GoDaddy has been amazing. A human is always available -- very short wait times and their tech support goes out of their way to help. I know enough to set up a web page -- but I am not genius. They have helped me several times over the past 2 years.

What is GoDaddy?

GoDaddy is a domain registrar and web host that has been around for more than 20 years. It claims a 99.95% uptime, meaning its site interruptions are rare. The company also offers 24/7 support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

With GoDaddy, you can add email and other features to your domain for a fee. Add-ons like daily backups and SSL certificate might cost extra, depending on the plan you choose. Overall, GoDaddy is easy to use, especially for those who aren’t experienced in website building.

GoDaddy hosting plans

GoDaddy offers several hosting packages, but all plans include unmetered bandwidth and free one-click WordPress installation. Here’s a breakdown of the company’s hosting plans:

• Economy: Offers basic resources for those just starting. Includes one website, 100 GB of storage, standard performance and 10 databases.
    • Deluxe: Offers more space and flexibility. Comes with unlimited websites and storage, standard performance and 25 databases.
    • Ultimate: A good choice for heavier-traffic WordPress sites. Includes unlimited websites and storage, increased processing power and unlimited databases.
    • Maximum: Intended for complex sites with high-resolution photo and video. Comes with unlimited websites and storage, increased processing power and unlimited databases.

Each plan also offers a free domain for your first term. The Ultimate and Maximum plans include a free SSL certificate.

GoDaddy pricing

GoDaddy offers introductory promotional prices, but you’ll have to pay the regular price when your account renews. Also, although the prices are listed by month, GoDaddy charges annually. The promotional and standard costs are:

• Economy: $2.99 a month, then $7.99 a month on renewal
    • Deluxe: $4.99 a month, then $10.99 a month on renewal
    • Ultimate: $5.99 a month, then $16.99 a month on renewal
    • Maximum: $12.99 a month, then $24.99 a month on renewal

Once your first term is up, the price for a domain is $17.99. GoDaddy’s email services start at $5.99, and the cost of its website builder ranges from $10 to $25 a month.

Overall, your GoDaddy website might cost around $36 to $160 annually for your first term, but the price will jump to an average of $200 to $350 annually after renewal.

GoDaddy FAQ

What is GoDaddy used for?
    GoDaddy is used primarily as a web host. You can also purchase a domain name from the company.
    Do I own my domain name with GoDaddy?
    When you register a domain name with GoDaddy, you own the name. If you let your registration expire, you lose the domain.
    How does GoDaddy work?
    You pay GoDaddy to register a user name and/or host your website. When your contract ends, you can choose to renew or let your domain and name expire.
    What does GoDaddy do?
    GoDaddy hosts millions of websites and associated email addresses. The company is one of the largest domain hosts in the world.
    How much does GoDaddy’s web builder cost?
    Depending on the plan you choose, GoDaddy’s web builder can cost between $9.99 and $24.99 a month when billed annually.
    Is GoDaddy a good host?
    It’s one of the largest hosts and is generally reputable. It does, however, charge extra for features other hosts offer free.

Is GoDaddy good?

GoDaddy is one of the most commonly used web hosts and domain registrars in the industry. That said, the company has mixed customer reviews — many don’t appreciate its high renewal fees, and GoDaddy charges extra for several features other hosts offer at no cost. If you’re looking for a web host and domain registrar, make sure to shop around before committing. You could find a company that better suits your needs and your budget.

Godaddy.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Godaddy.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

This company is bad to the core. I have spent thousands on shoddy products and was left up a creek without a paddle when COVID started in March. I had been hosting at $38 per month with them for 2 almost 3 years with SSL, Backup and domains added on. At the start of COVID my business couldn't operate at all due to restrictions placed in Victoria. Initially, my main grievance was because I had asked for them to complete a 301 redirect from my old website domain. I had the IT member I recruited check this and they 'DIDN'T DO IT CORRECTLY!' Meaning my website had to get recognised by search engines again. Then right when COVID happened and I lost over $20K in jobs overnight, they issued me an invoice for SSL. Let me point out it was over 12 times the price I had paid originally for an SSL with them.

When I asked them if they could do me something better, they outright refused. Honey managed to pull up a promo code for $19.95 when I was about to give them my credit card details to pay for it on the phone. I queried this discrepancy with the price and I quote them directly 'that product is for new customers only, if it fails and your website goes down we won't help you. The new fee is to reissue your SSL you can pay that or take the risk your website goes down until you pay us.' I was gobsmacked at this response, using fear and threats is disgusting. After all this, I was livid, to say the least, I have never been treated like this my entire life. On a positive note. I finally changed where I got HOSTING, SSL, BACKUP, EMAILS, WEBSITE MIGRATION & FASTER SPEEDS for $120 per year!!!! MY GTmetrix report showed a 1-second drop in page load time! Let that sink in. I was paying over 3 times more for slower speeds.

That's right $120 for all that VS. $456 for just HOSTING! This company is the worst I have dealt with in my whole life. To be a paying customer and to be treated like my business doesn't matter is reprehensible. One thing I learnt from my MBA, only 5% of customers actually complain, so just imagine how many disgruntled customers they have. I have only dealt with one good agent when I first started with them. I don't recall his name but one out of the hundreds of painful calls doesn't redeem them. Avoid them like you avoid your mother in law. Find an honest hosting company that values you as a customer.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I contacted Go Daddy over 8 months ago, to have them switch my website over to their hosting service. They wanted $947 upfront to pay for 3 years service, which I paid, plus another $99.99 for the migrating service. It still is not migrated over-they keep coming up with excuses as to why it isn't done. When I told them to quit, and to refund my money, they refused, saying it was not refundable after 30 days. There is no written contract to that effect. They are blaming it on the current host, and me.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Unfortunately I cannot give Godaddy a negative trillion. As a long time customer with GoDaddy I have recommended them and their service to many family and friends. Over 3 weeks ago my email system security was change to a 2 step verification, which did not work and kept me locked out of email. After several weeks and many hours on the phone with support and many broken promises, they again deflect responsibility to my pc and software browser.

The tech support person tells me there is no escalating my problem to anyone. WHAT COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE AN ESCALATION PROCESS FOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE? Only companies not interested in customer service, just profits. Finally after 3 weeks of trying to get me to access email I GoDaddy confuses the issue by saying it has been this or that which has been the problem. Yes it has because they made it other issues, since NEITHER THEY COULD. I cannot recommend Godaddy to anyone I like in good conscience.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

There is very limited functionality in the Web Builder. Example: decided to use a calendar, so my clients can book an appointment. I can't adjust times, that already have been booked on the phone or in the office. The services are not integrated, for each one you have to go manually and adjust. And still, you can do it only for 1 week. This is not making my work easy, it makes it busier! So, I can't use it! I've been their client for about 10 years and it is always the same problem. They do not offer good service and tools, but their prices are the most expensive on the market! Have to leave for another company!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I chose Godaddy for my online store. Biggest mistake and waste of money ey ever. Poor website, NOT USER FRIENDLY, doesn't do reporting, doesn't show tax collected. And when support is contacted. They are THE ABSOLUTE WORSE. They literally know nothing, place you on hold for hour or more, you must call multiple times because some of them just don't even get back on the line after placing you on hold. Don't waste your breath asking for supervisor help. THERE ARENT ANY. You're told you will get a call back in an hour..joke...5 calls, 2 weeks and 7 hours of time I cant get back later, I'm still waiting for a call back. The worse part is LOST BUSINESS REVENUE...Stay far far away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I have had a hosted email account from hostdaddy for a decades. Now they are migrating to Outlook 365 and I am not going I hate 365. I moved my service to a different provider. I repointed all the DNS and things are better than before. Then I noticed that my unused email account at Godaddy is getting these Junk Emails every day. These are the emails I could never figure out how I was getting, they were addressed to an alphanumeric string at a domain with a finky name or even another alphanumeric string as a fuly qualified domain. THAT RIGHT THESE ARE ADDRESSED TO PHONE ADDRESSES BUT ENDING UP IN MY BOX.

I always wondered how this happened and now I know. The only way that these emails can get there is if someone is simply copying them into there, not emailing them. This is still happening and I would love to let anyone see that wants to. Oh and the good thing about the 365 is that it made me change hosting companies as they have been the worst getting worser the last 10 years. I have always wanted to get out but never did. I just joined to tell people about this and do your own experiments if you are getting the junk addressed to not your email in the box.

Consumer Affairs let me show you, I will even let you log in there and monitor and check the DNS, there is no way else they are going in. My mail is now hosted somewhere else this is a dead mailbox (except for this junk email). Contact me and let me show you this is real. I have attached some pictures one email even ended up in my bulk email folder. Not sure why the pictures aren't loading but they were yesterday. They will load on my outlook account that I set up to monitor without going to a web interface I went to so you could see the actual email folder. Look at the email addresses. They are not mine. They are weird also. Thanks, hope to hear back.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

This service drives me crazy. They make it very confusing then the call or send an email stating that your website is in danger of malicious hacking. So you buy the "upgrade" only to find out that the $1,000 upgrade requires you to use their web site builder wizard which is not transferable to any other hosting service if you want to leave GoDaddy... And the templates in the wizard are very limiting. If you are a small business owner and you care about your expenses, do NOT select this service. I asked for a refund since I never used the upgraded new wizard and webhosting service but they said, "No." This company does not have your best interest at heart. They are not a partner to those that entrust their business to their care. Move on. I hope this review helps you avoid years of frustration.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

GoDaddy has been a company we use a domain registrar and hosting for several years now. When we first got them for our budding business, we loved them. Wonderful and helpful customer service, little to no issues, and just a great overall company for our money. Well, over the last few years, things have gone downhill drastically. Customer service phone wait times have increased from under 5 minutes to 60+ minutes.

I am now on the phone with them for HOURS anytime I have an issue, and 90% of the people I talk to wouldn't know a thing about hosting a website if it hit them square in the face. So many reps at this point just transfer me to someone else because they either don't want to handle my issue or don't know how to. I am sometimes on the phone for 4+ hours getting transferred and transferred, waiting an hour on hold in between each transfer. Most of the time this ends in them creating a ticket for more advanced support to review, which can take up to 72 hours to resolve. In the meantime, I get no communication as to what's going on, and finally I receive a 1 or 2 sentence email saying my issue has been resolved when it hasn't, with no details or assurance that it won't happen again.

In the last month or so, I have noticed some of my client websites going down for a few hours, sometimes half a day, usually in the middle of the night. When I called GoDaddy, they said it's likely that our plan can't handle using several resources at once while things are updating so it causes the websites to crash temporarily and there's nothing we can do but upgrade (and pay hundreds more dollars) to give it more room (even though we just upgraded that plan 2 years ago to one that should have ample room).

It's always upgrade upgrade upgrade with them. They used to find a resolution to our problem, but now they just want you to spend more money. They also now charge insane fees for fixing problems for you. I had some plugin issues with several websites on a hosting account, and they told me it would be $150+ dollars per website to do the little bit of updating needed on each. I opted to do it myself, which was far more time consuming to learn rather than have them do it in half the time.

The last week has been hell. One hosting plan housing 180+ client websites went down. When I called, I kept getting different answers as to what as wrong. First it was that our storage maxed out, which should not have happened seeing as how we upgraded 2 years ago and it has housed that many websites for that long with no issues. The next person said it was 1 website causing the whole hosting to crash. The third person said he couldn't access it so he didn't know what the issue was, but he rebooted it several times to no avail. He then created a ticket that could take up to 72 hours to resolve. Trying to be patient, I waited and did crisis control for my clients that were freaking out about their websites being down. I had no answers, but awaiting Tuesday morning to get an answer.

Come Tuesday morning, nothing. No emails, no calls, no resolution. I can't even access my control panel at this point. I was at a total loss at to what was happening. I called Tuesday morning to be told that the first ticket was closed and another was opened, giving them another 72 hours to resolve it. I was trying to get answers as to what was going on and if there are any files I could access to get the priority websites temporarily moved over to a different hosting just to get them working, and they just kept giving me the runaround, putting me on hold, transferring me to more advanced tech support.

Finally, I called yesterday (10/7/2020) and finally got an answer to what happened after being told 2 other possibilities. I was told that the server failed. They couldn't tell me why, just that it failed and it happens sometimes. They moved it over to another server and everything is accessible now. But the websites were still down. This is because they moved the server, which changed the IP, so all 180+ websites now need to be redirected, again. I was not given a heads up or even asked about this. They did it, and didn't bother telling me until I called them yesterday and demanded an answer. The reps before the last guy couldn't even tell me what was happening; there were no notes on the account or anything to decipher what they did. This is awful communication. I had to talk to a different person each time, most of which had no idea what was happening with my account.

It took them a week to tell me what even happened, and then left me with a huge undertaking of having to contact each of those clients to change their IPs with no other option or solution. They had no remorse, offered no refund (even for the time that our hosting was down and paid for it), and all the guy could say was "sometimes technology fails and you're lucky you didn't lose everything due to our early detection system". Early detection system? They didn't even know there was a problem until I called them the day after the websites went down! They said this was the best case scenario, as we could have lost everything. I didn't know that losing all of the files on the hosting was ever a concern!

I am currently looking for another hosting company to migrate all of our sites over to because I am done with GoDaddy and their poor customer service and unreliable service. It seems as though most of their reps have basic to no training and no resources to even access the correct things to help their clients. I think GoDaddy has become too large to manage their client base properly, and they have been having way too many system failures. I won't be putting my company and my clients at risk with GoDaddy. They have lost all of my business and any referrals (we referred all of our clients to them to purchase domains, but no more). I would not recommend this company whatsoever due to inflated prices and constant up-selling, poor customer service, and system failures.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Have been with this Company for fifteen years with domain hosting. Recently sought after doing more business with them by purchasing additional products. When I attempted to use a new credit card for this purchase they refused to accept it although there is the procedure for adding a new credit card to your account. They demanded I send a picture of my driver's license, my account number and the last four digits of my credit card. After reluctantly doing so under "protest" they then came back with even more unreasonable demands.

Additional calls to customer service individuals did not result in any resolution. The new credit card in question has been with me for 15 years also but had not been active for the past five. I have used this card with many other merchants without any issues. Why the issue with this company? This is just plain harassment and extremely poor customer service without justification. They are forcing a good customer to look elsewhere for doing business! I can now see why there are so many poor reviews for this company!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Updated on 10/18/2020: This is a follow up review of GoDaddy, which I have already complained to BBB, ICANN, and the FTC about. I received a response which says they are not going to refund my money, and today I received an email saying that they parked my new host server onto an old domain I removed a long time ago. That was it for me. I just thought I would warn everybody that this was not the same service I'd been dealing with for 10+ years. Do not use GoDaddy for anything. They are not playing by the same rules.

Original Review: Today I tried to resolve a dispute with GoDaddy because they attached an old server to my new domain, which I bought a month ago. They claimed that I had to renew it in December, and the old server hosting service was bought a year ago. After going around and around with them over the phone (their email and chat support were a joke), I have begun the process of transferring my domain over to another hosting service. I have already pointed the site to the new service. I must wait until the site is free to be transferred until I do and then close my account.

It's not just that I am angry with their poor to nonexistence customer support, I have been with them for over 10 years and this is the first time I have had to move again to another hosting service after deleting my old domains and attached subroutines. It is also that they claim to be helpful but their community are left asking questions and then left to wait sometimes months before anyone reaches out to help. With this new hosting service, I can chat with support and get my issues resolved almost right away. It seems to me that GoDaddy has become a dinosaur. I don't plan on using them ever again.

Godaddy.com Company Information