Godaddy.com
1.12/5
Based on 156 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Godaddy.com

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

521 Godaddy.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

A year ago charged my $110 to "upgrade" my website and they did zero! Now they tried to auto renew after I called, emailed and chatted for 6 months to cancel. They are purely financially driven and the excellent customer service that Bob Parsons instilled is totally gone. They are a total rip off and do anything they can to grab money from you inane way they can. Totally unethical! Avoid GODADDY at all costs. Inmotion is lower cost, excellent service and respects their customers.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I closed my existing GoDaddy account just yesterday. Told I could neither re-model my old website for a new purpose, or transfer the package I bought less than 12 months ago to build a second website. They tried to sell me a new package on the spot, but I declined. Since there is nothing to lose, I might as well see if I can find a better company for the job - there's lots to choose from. So I was not surprised when I received an unsolicited email this morning, telling me there was something in my "cart" on GoDaddy, and that, if I was quick, I could save 25% on it. No harm, I thought, I'll take a look. Turns out the new version of my old package has magically been put into my cart.

I wondered what 25% might save me, found the code I was asked to enter, and clicked to see what it would cost me after discount and WHAM! Nope, I don't get to see what the deal will cost, or even to decide whether to go ahead or not. No, the money is just grabbed and the next window says I've paid and I'm signed up!!!

That's deliberate entrapment, and I was on the phone right away to have it cancelled. But I could so easily not have noticed what had happened, and it would have cost me a lot of money. So GoDaddy, you can GoDaddy OFF. I don't care for your tactics, and I won't be using you again DIRECTLY BECAUSE YOU DID THIS.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I received a decent price to renew my hosting for two years via their chat... I told the guy that I would call to confirm, but still had two more weeks on my plan left... I called after our chat and talked to another guy and now they will not renew at the given rate! Their prices went up over 50% and I told Customer Service how unhappy I am with the treatment! I have been with them since the late 1990s!!! He said, "Good luck and goodbye!!!" VERY VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

GoDaddy practices bait & switch tactics. I was offered a deal of all my domains & Office365 for the year. The regular renewal will be $206.65 but I can get it for the amount of $165.68. Later I was told that it did not include my O365 but instead that this was for all the domain renewals for 2 years. I requested a supervisor to address the situation & was refused. All you've done is waste my time & cost me money & you should have gotten a supervisor to fix this.

So, let do it this way. Let’s change the way you communicate with customers & let’s put into place that you are more clear with customer because you were not. I will be contacting consumer reporting agencies as well as the CEO of GoDaddy Scott Wagner as well as AARP Scam Watch List with AARP Elder Law because I am a senior citizen. I'm gonna let AARP Elder Care Attorney handle this & now we really are done! I gave you a chance to do the right thing & you did not. But, AARP is big & powerful & I bet we can make some changes as to HOW CLEAR GODADDY CUSTOMER SERVICE IS WITH THEIR CLIENTS IN THE FUTURE. SHAME ON YOU! GoDaddy totally does bait & switch on their customers which is illegal! They should be investigated!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Terrible customer service. Sneaky with charges and hide policies that they quote are hidden and not made readily available. They refuse to make any reasonable refunds quoting a shorter time frame each time. I would never give them my business again. Total rip off company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy.com?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

You pay for email accounts for your domain but cannot block spam for your users. If you are managing the email accounts for your domain you must create step-by-step instructions for your users to set-up their INDIVIDUAL SPAM FILTERS which must include each individual domain, address and all words you wish to block. Where legitimate email providers allow the email manager to set these filters for all their users... It's amazing how much DRUG spam Godaddy allows!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

This was once a spectacular hosting company, but when you really need them in your corner so that you can provide service to the clients of your business, trust me, you will be left stranded in your hour of need. Look elsewhere, unless you are masochistic. I even had one support agent refuse to give me their name when I asked as I wanted to document the conversation. THAT's how bad they've sunk. Go elsewhere for your website hosting needs. I manage several client websites and used GoDaddy as my go-to hosting vendor for them, but now I am rethinking that and looking elsewhere. How low they have sunk. It's really tragic.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Before purchasing any plan had inquired around 4-5 times regarding my required specifications for my website. All the executives like a parrot. They will answers to all the queries as yes. Then they keep following up to buy their plan. I bought Business plus plan and started working on it... then slowly they have their own limitation started. You can't have more than 2 words for your SEO. To add up the fury only the appropriate word only gets picked up if you have mentioned in the first page. Then comes only using those words public must search in search engine.

Next the words will be activated only after 6-7 weeks later. It's like everyday you connect with customer service daily new things come up... then apologies... then next day same issue. I want to refund my money and go for other service for that. Also they assured the team will get back but all in vain. It's like once the trial period is over money is assured in their account they will hang you up. Every time new executive gives email ID to follow up but when you write to them no back response from them. These guys just all bunch of **.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Bait and switch. Their price for domain purchase states $0.99 (with small print "when you register for two years or more, $0.99 for the first year and $14.99 for the second"), but when you go through the process to purchase, it turns into $79.99 (5 years) even though you specifically choose the 1-year option. Chat guy gives you all types of excuses. He asked for my pin number, which is illegal, then proceeded to threaten me and said that he has my IP address. Very rude and unprofessional. Then he made up the story that 0.99 offer is valid if you're a first-time buyer, even though I was logged in and GODADDY had all my history. Why do they give you the runaround? Where is the customer service? This reminds me of Dell and Microsoft, all scams and overcharges. Time to get rid of GODADDY and move your business to an American company.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I really hate Godaddy, before 2 years it was going. So now each and every support staff of Godaddy is hell dumb, they don't even understand basic terminology of hosting and domain. For every questions they will take you in hold for 10 - 50 minutes and at the end no issue is going to get resolved. This company is really going to close soon. I wish it should go bankrupt and owner should be on road begging for a penny.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have dozens of domains rented from them. Last few years they are increasing the prices and today someone called me to push the Discount Domain Club Membership in the value of £107.86. They mentioned £9 and the fact that I can cancel my subscription if I change my mind. They charged me £107.86 for no real benefit (I went to see the discounts and they are just crap). When I called for cancellation I was told it is not refundable. But, on the phone call I was told (more than 10 times) that I can cancel this subscription if I do not find it useful. Now I am moving all my domains to another provider, and stay away from this thieves.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Their customer care executive are not at all professional. They removed all my Wordpress plugin without informing me, later on, they said resource utilization was more that is why I have removed all my plugin. Due to this again I have to customize my website. Instead of being apologetic he was asking me to not add more content.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I called up GoDaddy today for tech support regarding a new account and within 15 minutes, my call was disconnecting thrice and on 4th call there was some supervisor who kept arguing with me and denied to give any contact, email ID or number we can register a complaint. Extremely poor.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Extremely misleading. If you choose a one month free trial on a particular product and create a website on that product, then decide to go for a different product, you cannot transfer your website over to a different product. All of my work was lost. I spent a week creating this, for nothing. I chose a free trial of the Online Shop to see what it would look like, but then decided I didn't need the extra expense of e-commerce, but when I purchased the cheaper Business Plan, it would not let me access my almost complete website. Two days and three frustrating conversations later I ended up cancelling everything and claimed a refund. Back to square one. Shame on you Godaddy.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

My account was charged for $30 for a domain renewal on a domain that hasn't been in use for 8 months. The card charged isn't even active anymore and yet I was still charged. Called to get it refunded and was told they can't process a refund after 5 days have went by after the charge. It doesn't make sense they're able to charge a debit card that was deactivated several months ago. If you have any old cards on your account, remove them because for some reason they can still charge you even if your card is deactivated...

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I got a GoDaddy email account for a business. The renewal is almost 2 weeks away and they have already charged me for another 2 years for an email account that I don't use and haven't for a year. I called customer service, the rep tells me that they have a 120 hour window for refunds. This is now 144 hours since they charged me. The rep goes on to say that if I dispute the charge, they will investigate to see if I agreed to their conditions. I don't like being threatened by a company. STAY AWAY FROM GODADDY.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Tried to register 3 .com domain names. The cart said $11.99 per year for each. I found a coupon off-site to get it to $9.99, but nothing to get it to $0.99. Went on chat room to rectify, but they were unwilling to honor the $0.99 promo even though their ad cited no relevant caveats about the one-time nature of the promo. They offered to provide a discount coupon, but I did not accept since it would not have brought the price to the promo deal they were offering. I asked for a supervisor, but he too was unwilling to honor the promo. He suggested I make a phone call to their 'hotline' (which turned out to be the same # as their Sales #), which I did.

Person said the same thing, and when I stated (again) that the promo ad cited no limitations, he said I should check the 'Universal Terms of Service' on their website. I said the ad did not cite this. He said he could offer a discount (35%), which I declined. I then asked for a supervisor, and while on hold, I checked the Universal Terms of Service, and could find no such language. When he came back from hold, I mentioned this, and asked him to show me where the limitation was in the terms. He said he couldn't show me. He finally came back with an offer where they would charge me $0.99 for only one .com, by charging full price and then a discount. for a .com, and then refund the difference (which I accepted, verbally acknowledging the Universal Terms of Service for this one transaction). They were not willing to offer the same deal for the other 2 .com's I wanted. I did not order those.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I made a purchase on Friday 5 January 2018 where I bought the domain buy service from Godaddy.com. I received an email from agent Jerry ** the very same day at 10:20 pm telling me that from his experience the price range I offered is low and also from his experience such a domain might cost as much as $50,000. Then he literally stated "Please reply to inform me how you desire to proceed. Once contact attempts of the owner is initiated the service is not refundable". The next day on Saturday 6 Jan 2018 at 8:39 am Beirut time I replied saying, "Please. I wish to refund the service for I am not willing to pay that much."

I haven't received any response from Mr. **, and I also sent another reminder to which also I didn't receive a reply. I called the support team last night 9 January 2018 at 8:27 pm Beirut time and agent John informed me that the owner has already been contacted and the service is no longer refundable!!! I said how can he do this when I haven't confirmed the process?!! And why isn't he replying to my emails or even updating me about the negotiation process!!! This is absurd!!! And when I asked Mr. John to whom I can complain he said, "No one!!!" and until now I haven't received any reply or update from anyone!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I am so pissed off with this company. I am no longer in need of their services so I decided to cancel everything. You would think to cancel a service that you do not want would be easy... but hell no! You have to go through some stupid 2-step authentication process and EVEN THEN it will not allow you to cancel the service. I had this 2-step process removed a couple of days ago by emailing the required documentation along with my driver's license that proves who I am. Today I phoned because I was still not able to cancel the service. The representative told me that I need to do the 2-step process (which I removed) in order to do this.

Well... I submitted the info for the 2-step verification process... but it now tells me that I am locked out from doing changes for 72 hours. WTF? I DO NOT WANT THIS FREAKING SERVICE ANYMORE AND I WANT TO CANCEL... HOW FREAKING DIFFICULT IS IT TO UNDERSTAND THIS? I am so angry right now that I really want to call up GODADDY and chew somebody out, but I will refrain from doing so because it is not the representative's fault that their employer is ridiculous. I will wait the 72 hrs and then it will be game on. I will even take a day off work so I can properly chew them all a new one if I have to. Do NOT use these people! They will try and sneak auto renewals in there. I would give 0 stars because I am beyond dissatisfied.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I paid for a website design through a website design company. When she decided she didn't want to host it anymore, she recommended GoDaddy. I called them and told them the situation and they said they needed log-ins, etc which we provided. My website was up and running from January of 2017 through November 29 of 2017. I told someone to check out my website and when she tried to go on it in December of 2017, she couldn't get on it. She called and told me and I tried it and also couldn't go on it. I called Go Daddy and told them I paid for 3 years of hosting with them and all of a sudden my website was gone. They said I never migrated it over to GoDaddy. I said "how was I to know that I was supposed to do this?" The site was up and running.

I called the lady that originally set up the site for me to the tune of $500 and she called them with me on a 3rd party call. They would not give me my money back and said they only give refunds for 30 days after you pay. My site up to this point was not going to be brought back. After speaking to Sandy and renowebdesign.com who originally set up the site, she mentioned a site called archive.com. Fortunately, she was able to pull up the archived website, thank God and worked on it for 3 days putting it back together. It cost me another $260 which was well worth it although I feel scammed by GoDaddy. They wouldn't go out of their way to help us in any way at all and seemed to have no compassion at all, and this was their management people. They also said that somebody in their office started the migration but for some reason never finished it. Well that right there shows negligence on their part.

So, in my opinion and Sandy's opinion "they dropped the ball". I am not a tech savvy person and should have been told if I was supposed to do something after transferring the site to them. I feel totally ripped off and now am afraid to transfer to another company for fear of another screw-up. I can't afford to lose the information in my website. I am a 501 (c) (3) cat rescue. It took a lot of time and money to set up my website which is **. I would not recommend GoDaddy to anybody. They just take your money and don't do anything for it. Between hosting and domain registration it cost me close to $300 of the top of my head, for 3 years.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018 Like many others, Godaddy has: turned on auto renewal without my permission, then significantly overcharged me on auto renewal of domain names, auto renewed for multiple years without my consent, not given me the 20 percent discount on new domain names, sold my email to website developers and others.

Someone needs to start a class-action suit against Godaddy?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I bought a domain from Godaddy.com for my new business. Everything was going fine until GoDaddy close to lock down the account out of the blue. Now I'm losing 10s of 1000s of dollars a day, had to debt on a loan and my home is being repossessed. My family is now living out of our car and if lucky we can stay at a local homeless shelter both of which are great places to raise your kids. I was told by GoDaddy to upload documents I never had. Even after filing a BBB case and stealing my support reps of the problems they did not care one bit and just laughed at me like I was worthless.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I fell for one of their "best value deals" and signed on for several years on the domain name. As the other services came up for renewal, I was able to allow them to expire, but the domain had three years more than anything else. They claim they emailed me but I only got one email saying that my card on file had expired (in 2014) and I didn't have to do anything if I no longer wanted the services. Apparently they claim this only related to one small charge - they managed to get another $300 and auto renewed the domain for another 5 years! When I noticed and called, they said they could not refund the charge and to go to my credit card company because they shouldn't have put the charge through. Neither the card company nor Godaddy will make good on this charge, when the site has been inactive for years. They were glib and snide when I spoke with a supervisor. Hate these people.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Had GoDaddy do some simple changes to wordpress. WHAT A DISASTER! Not only did they not do the changes right I am fighting with them for the last 3 days to fix the site to original view before they touched it. DON'T waste your time using them-- plenty of other to host, buy domain and do competent web work.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

For several years GoDaddy has been enabling me to receive my business emails on my Gmail account. Last time I renewed this service with them they changed the way this works so I no longer get my business emails in Gmail. They refuse to help me get them forwarded to my Gmail account so even though I have paid them I do not get my business emails without a lengthy and complicated process every time I need to check email. On top of that they are bouncing emails from existing clients, and probably clients I don't realize are trying to reach me. I am beyond frustrated with them.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

If you select auto renew, you will likely be misled into thinking you will be renewed for 1 year, instead you will get a surprise bill for whatever term was the original signup period. In my case it was 5 years! GoDaddy refused to fix the situation and instead blamed me for being a victim of their own deceit. I'm a long time customer with GoDaddy, and was generally satisfied, but now I no longer feel I can trust them. Do yourself a favour and stay away. If you are an existing customer, then I suggest that you invalidate your payment options to prevent a surprise billing that they will refuse to correct.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I'm not done with website. It is beyond frustrating trying to get things done. They must be totally overloaded and short handed. Unable to communicate with usual emails. Unable to reach person assigned to my job. Long hold time to talk to anyone. They are helpful but little seems to get done on the website. No way to tell how long this will go on but next communication set for Dec. 22 9 days off.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I spent over 50 hours starting my own website. I went out of the country and when I came back I wanted to work on it more and it was gone. Turns out I was in the "trial" period and I hadn't "clicked" on auto-renew so rather than holding onto my website and all of the work I had done on this they just decided to DELETE it ALL... Really??? This is MY website, MY work, MY time... How dare you do this??? I will never ever recommend them or use them at all. Use another site and don't waste your time and money.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I am so regretful that I bought domain names from GoDaddy. They suspended one of my domains because of a court order from another country even though the court order wasn't absolute. They just suspend customer’s domains then they review the legal issue.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

If you use this site make sure you have your auto-renew to off and even then keep track the renewal time. Also remove your credit card number after the initial transaction has gone through. I cancelled my domain and was charged anyway. I disputed the charge with my bank and it was taken off. Then the charged was reversed back to my card. Not only am I out $75 bucks, I don't have a domain any longer. They said if they can get it back it would cost another $50 bucks to reinstate. Are you kidding me! This is stealing in my book. It isn't right and I will never use Godaddy again. If you use this site beware and look at the other reviews about this company. I'm not the first one that this has happened to.

GoDaddy.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GoDaddy is one of the most popular web hosts in the world, and currently serves over 45 million domains. It is known for its low cost, domain name auctions, and its back-ordering policy for unavailable domains.

• Easy to use: GoDaddy comes with an integrated control panel that makes it easy to access email, upload web page files, and install add-ons.

• Straightforward setup: Once you purchase hosting services, it is easy to set up your account and begin using it.

• 24-hour customer support: GoDaddy offers a variety of customer support options 24 hours a day. There is an online FAQ to help customers get answers to common problems they may encounter. Phone and email support is also available. Despite GoDaddy’s size, customer service emails are answered within 24 hours.

• Website builder costs extra: Customers who don’t want to design their website from scratch must pay extra fees to access GoDaddy’s website builder tools, although the tools are very useful for both beginning and seasoned web designers.

• Storage space: The economy plan comes with only 10GB of storage space – enough for most small business owners, but anyone who plans to expand his/her business and consequently his/her website may end up paying more for extra space. Even GoDaddy’s advanced plans offer comparatively little space – you can get unlimited storage space and bandwidth, but your database is limited to 1GB.

• Shopping cart: Ecommerce tools cost extra, and the shopping cart has an inventory cap. If you want to offer more inventory, you have to pay an extra fee.

• Best for: Personal website owners, web hosting companies and bloggers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Godaddy.com questions and answers

What problem is GoDaddy trying to solve?
There are approximately 210 million small businesses worldwide; GoDaddy helps them get online. We are dedicated to helping small businesses turn their powerful ideas into meaningful action. GoDaddy gives small business owners the tools to name their idea, build a beautiful online presence, attract customers and manage their business.
What sets GoDaddy apart from the competition?
Often technology companies force their customers to choose between technology and support, delivering one but not the other. At GoDaddy, we break that compromise and deliver both great products and great support to our customers. We believe engaging with our customers in a proactive, consultative way helps them knock down the technology hurdles they face. And, through the thousands of conversations we have with our customers every day, we receive valuable feedback that enables us to continually evolve our products and solutions.
What needs do your products services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
GoDaddy operates the world’s largest domain marketplace, where our customers can find the perfect name to match their idea. We provide website building, hosting and security tools to help customers easily construct and expand their online presence.

In addition, GoDaddy’s product suite includes Get Found to help small businesses attract new customers on popular destinations including Google and Yelp and Online Store which provides everything a small business owner needs to open and run a full ecommerce store. We also offer productivity tools including Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and Get Paid.

What sets us apart from competitors is our intense focus on customer service. About 60 percent of our workforce is dedicated to customer care. These are the friendly, knowledgeable and compassionate people who are there any time of day or night to help a customer resolve a problem or answer questions. Many of our customers tell us having our personalized technology resources available around the clock is like having their very own IT department at their disposal, at no cost.
How does GoDaddy measure success?
GoDaddy measures success against our mission and values. GoDaddy's mission is to radically shift the global economy toward small businesses by empowering people to easily start, confidently grow and successfully run their own ventures.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
A common misconception about our industry is that you have to be “tech savvy” to create a website. At GoDaddy, we leverage what we know about our customers to give them simple products and services that work fit their needs. If they have questions, we have localized customer support agents available for personalized support around-the-clock.

Some consumers don’t know what GoDaddy does because of our past advertising. When Blake Irving joined as CEO in January 2013, he shifted GoDaddy’s advertising to focus on small businesses and how GoDaddy enables them to successfully get online and grow their digital presence.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
GoDaddy essentially ‘democratized’ domain names back when the company was born in 1997. Before the company launched, the domain name registration process was complicated and expensive. GoDaddy brought mainstream marketing, competitive prices, reliable technology and personalized customer service to the early days of domain name registration, which revolutionized the registrar landscape and propelled GoDaddy to its No. 1 ranking in the world.

Today, GoDaddy has evolved and provides small businesses owners with the products and services they need to manage and grow their business. GoDaddy offers Website Builder, Online Store and professional design services for websites.

GoDaddy also offers Get Found, to help small businesses attract new customers and productivity tools including: Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and a tool to help small businesses Get Paid.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about GoDaddy?
Has your business received any awards that your customers would like to know about?
In 2014, GoDaddy won the following awards: 2014 Stevie Awards Sales & Customer Service, Bay Area’s 2014 Top Work Places (Bay Area News Group), Washington’s 100 Best Companies to Work For (Seattle Business Magazine), Iowa’s 2014 Top Workplaces (Des Moines Register), 2014 Best Places to Work in the Valley (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 AZ Most Admired Companies (AZ Big Media), 2014 Valley’s Healthiest Employers (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 Arizona Corporate Counsel Awards.
How has GoDaddy grown or evolved?
GoDaddy has refined its user-experience and reinvigorated product offerings sharply focused on helping small businesses effortlessly leverage the power of the Internet. GoDaddy has also shifted our brand strategy to revolve around small businesses.

Godaddy.com Company Information

GoDaddy.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use