2.80/5

732 Godaddy.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2019

I had videos and pics that I'll never get back again and GoDaddy never called or let me know that my webpage needed to be renewed. They then lied to me and said they tried to call. I never once had a voicemail. NOT ONE! DON'T USE THEM!

Original review: May 23, 2019

My account was hacked. Then I have my email and transaction code, also my credit card code. The first month, I submitted a Government issue voter papers so proof of my ownership. Then they say Government ID. It's ok to send Postal ID card. They say again Government issue ID. Then Research is also a Government issue ID card. So I apply again but "stated AGAIN Government issue ID". What the ** service, full **. NEVER EVER Buy-Domain. Service is crap!

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I should have stuck with just buying their web service but the salesman hyped it as the next great thing since sliced bread. He explained it was a new service Go Daddy was offering and people who bought into it raved about it. Supposedly the web guide is a guru and can help me not only with the layout of the website, but give me insight to SEO and how to market my business. Well, I basically received more usable information from their web development team. They keep trying to get me to have them build my website since their self build website builder is rather limited but maybe that's the gimmick. I digress, the web guide guru kept telling me she had to check back with me when we ran into issues but then at our next appt. did not have fixes and totally forgot about the issues. Would not recommend the extra $500 web guide service as if you call in enough you'll get someone in their web development dept. who can go above and beyond.

Original review: May 17, 2019

As a consumer, I would highly disregard using Godaddy for any services! Again, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They will promise the world and charge you an extortionate amount but will only deliver very basic and elementary work. After I said I wasn’t happy they refused to issue me ANY refund or credit. They are absolutely horrible. I thought by using a big corporate company I would be in good hands. BOY WAS I WRONG. This company over commits and under delivers. Do not fall victim to Godaddy’s inexperienced web design team. They are a bunch of underpaid and unskilled designers. Find a reputable company that stands behind their work. Hopefully, someone else reads this and doesn’t make the same mistake I did by using Godaddy. Save yourself thousands of dollars and go elsewhere.

Original review: May 11, 2019

All I asked is for them to help me get back in my account after I lost my phone. Since I had 2-Step verification my and had lost my phone, they couldn't authenticate me via my personal e-mail apart from GoDaddy's email. They made me go through a long process of scanning my passport copy and sending with a bunch of written letter based consent and was told this will be resolved within 72 hours and my phone number will be removed and updated with my new phone. It's been 6th day and weekend is here and I cant log in, no word. Called the agent back and he said, "No idea. Sorry but you have to wait for them" and you are literally at their mercy. Also you cannot talk to the security team. Only the agent can communicate with them.

So basically you can't do **. If you are locked out you are locked out for good. Maybe after 10 years they check up and update your account. Best part they show ZERO empathy towards your issue and minimalistic effort to resolve any issue. Maybe this company has its support in a sweatshop based business that they don't give a ** and are totally incompetent. I advise to check other hosting sites and watch for them, these guys are legit a horror ride.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy.com?

Original review: May 8, 2019

I closed my account with GoDaddy two years ago, After a while they started to send me emails asking for my new credit card number. I contacted them and said no, that I'm no longer their customer. Today out of the blue I received a receipt notice that they charged my credit card for $345. How did they get my new number and what gives them the right to charge a non customer? I called them and they refunded my card but what if I missed it? So now I have to wait for 7 days for confirmation of refund. GoDaddy is trying to steal money. Hoping people do not notice. They are a shady company and I would never recommend them to anyone. If you need a webpage set up do not use Godaddy.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I've had a business website for a few years with GoDaddy. I designed the site. I am familiar with web design, keywords, search engine optimization/coding. They decided to add a scrolling sale banner option at the top of the pages. The setting was defaulted to ON. One day my all the page titles were changed! I had to manually go in and fix each page. Recently they made another background change and removed the keywords from every product, and the link to every product is incorrect. Huge drop in sales as direct result. Probably a single click on their end is causing me hours/days of website work corrections. Outrageous!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Been with GoDaddy for 7 years. Started out ok. But as competition came in, they started to get dollar happy. I renewed a few emails and domains, but kept getting notices that "renewal failed". So I renewed again. Thing is that their notice applied to services that I did not want to renew. When I found that out, I went back to GoDaddy and informed them of the misleading notices and asked them to credit me for the second renewal that I did not want since it extended my renewal by another year. They said they cannot reverse the charges.

I called my bank to cancel the second charge. Then I got a notice that all my email accounts have been deactivated. I called GoDaddy to find out what happened. They said that since the second charge was canceled, they canceled everything. So, I had to renew again and to make matters worse, they even charged me $50 bank fee for the declined second charge. My suggestion is DO NOT use GoDaddy. People tell me that Square Space is much better with better web site builders and much cheaper. STAY AWAY FROM GODADDY!!!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I paid for 1 year of web hosting. While making changes to my account I accidentally removed this service even though it had already been paid for. I called in to have support re-add an already paid for service to my account and they wanted $150. I paid less than that for the service in the first place. The support technician was trying everything he could to get me to sign up for 3 years rather than solve the problem at hand. The supervisor that came on the line was even more useless.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My domain and email has not been working for weeks and GoDaddy have not fixed the issues. As an online business, this is not acceptable. I have been on calls for hours with no resolution. GoDaddy does not care for their clients. They do not respond or keep clients informed. They just hope problems disappear by themselves. I will inform every possible online business to not go anywhere near Godaddy as they would be putting themselves at massive risk due to no support, poor technical support and no care for customers.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I do agree, it is my problem for doing business with GoDaddy. Our account is 15 years old and about 3 years ago we have had nothing but problems. We are on an old platform because we are an old client. GoDaddy takes no responsibility for what happens to their old platforms as they are old and it's the customer's fault for not wanting to spend $4,800 to upgrade to their new platform. Question to GoDaddy, if your old platforms are so bad what makes me think your new one is better? Especially for $4,000.

Their last blame game was that my older website obtained a virus because it was put together wrong. Really? If that was the case why did I never have this problem before (the website is over 5 years old)? Was also told that their platform was hacked and therefore my account was compromised but that is my problem once again and for $4,822 they would upgrade me to a platform they don't allow hackers to get into. Now GoDaddy is holding my account hostage as they know I want out.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I have been using Godaddy.com hosting from last 9 months but it was so bad experience with support that every time when I face issues with email or FTP support team does not take responsibility of it and not even bother to update on the issue... though issues continues for weeks. Godaddy bad support forced me to move on and I switched to Hostripples.in with basic package and I got pleased with customer service they provides and the level of understanding and personal attachment with clients. I am happy now and thanks to Godaddy support for showing me the way to such a good provider.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Hello, I have to share something to you. I have purchase GoDaddy unlimited plan and he provide me free SSL and I have try to install on my website and by mistake someone click the revoked button and he cancel my SSL. WTF. How he can do this? He need to give one more chance to get back but this service provider tell me we will cancel this. Thanks.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I come to resolve an issue and they act like I’m speaking a different language. I get into the techy lingo and they act like they don't know what I'm talking about and NEVER have an amicable solution. Then, they have the nerve to try to rush you off. I’ve had issues trying to connect my website and I haven't had a good solution at all, like ever. If anything, I give them some takeaways. I have only had one good experience with GoDaddy and I’ve been looking for that man since. I am highly considering just getting my money back and going with another company.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Got an email requesting updated credit card info for a client (I do websites). Passed it to client. He asked me to contact GoDaddy to find out what it was for. Did a 3-way call and learned it was for email renewal. He initially paid $350 for the five year plan, added a few more emails which bumped it up a bit. Both client and I were blown away when they told us the renewal cost was going to be $2300!!!! Bye, bye GoDaddy.

Original review: April 20, 2019

One of worst hosting provider I can say. I have many bad experience with GoDaddy and have all chat scripts how they respond. As recent I renewed my hosting and my bank account got debited. They says, "We can't renew your account. You have to wait 24 hours." I said I paid the amount. I shown bank slip also. Still they don't care. They says we can't do anything and disconnects. This is not only one time many times. Your website mails never works. It's delivers after 72 hours. Sometimes not even deliver because they use to send spam mails all the time. 150000+ mails queue. Most of the people may face this issue.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I purchased the domain the in 2017 for $1. I tried to log in to the account, it was blocked, it needed more verification. They asked me to send a copy of my passport and wait 3 days which I did. I waited 3 days and called Godaddy, the guy at the customer service didn't know why my domain was blocked. I quit the conversation, I didn't want ruin my phone budget with someone who do not know. I called a second time the day after, talked to a lady, she said the service is curently closed. Few days after I received an email saying I needed to send a copy of my credit card and a bank statement, for a $1 purchase!!!

And for safety they asked you to email passport, credit cards, bank statement and tell numbers on phone too, I was verified maybe 6 times. 7 and the domain still blocked. If you want be inside a trap, go with Godaddy, they will ruin your days the best you can, they will find a way so that you can't cancel your domain renewal or that you have to pay twice or that you feel blocked forever, this kind of corporates violence should be exterminated!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Called customer service on an unrelated issue. Rep offers to update my hosting plan. Save $100. Great. Only my site goes down for over a week. Then Godaddy Bill's me $100 for migration. So? No savings and a down website. I had to ask my developer to clean up the godaddy mess. #Fail.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I signed up with Godaddy to host several websites to companies that I run. I had a hosting near its expiration and talked to customer service about not continuing one of the hostings as it was a project that I had on a back burner. I explicitly asked them to make sure the the remaining 2 websites that I have remain intact. That did not happen, and a website that I spent $4k building vanished into thin air and they were unable to restore it. $4k out the window and no website for my business makes for a very dissatisfied customer.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I cancelled all of my services. As they took $266 from my account for a trial that I never proceeded with. When I called to complain the customer service was so poor, he tried to upsell to $370 on top of my $266. I asked for all the services and accounts to be closed. Today I called to speak with someone again to confirm my account is closed to be told I had been subscribed to another and better hosting. Unbelievable. Just cancel. I do not want anything to do with GoDaddy. I feel you may have to call weekly to continue cancelling the same site.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Like others said, they will upgrade your product and charge your credit card without your approval. Then when you email them from the email address they have listed for billing, you get an automated response that they no longer check emails. So now I have to call and dick around for my money that they have stolen from me.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've had a number of domains registered with GoDaddy for nearly 20 years. The tech support was terrific much of that time. This week we decided that we needed to get the email on two of our domains to synchronize between our devices and computers using an IMAP configuration. Trying to set it up got nothing but errors even though I was applying the settings as described on the GoDaddy site.

After going through a lot of misinformation on the site I discovered info indicating that we needed to convert the free email accounts with those domains to either Personal or Business paid accounts in order to use IMAP. Finding how to upgrade to either proved impossible so I phoned support. I was told the Personal was no longer available and that I'd need to buy an Unlimited Business Email package with the caveat that it would become obsolete within the next couple of years. The package was $120 for five email accounts and included unlimited storage.

I bought that and got one of our accounts up and working perfectly right away. The second kept having issues with the server rejecting the username when I tried sending email from a computer although it worked on two devices. After more effort the next day I called support again to resolve this issue. The overly patronizing agent asked me to log in to the browser based account to be sure that would work and have me send him an email from it. I entered "Test" as the subject and got lectured on the reasons not to do that.

The email did get through though and I was told that showed it was all okay and that the problem was in my software and he couldn't help me with that since "they hadn't sold the IMAP package I had for over five years." I pointed out that I had just purchased it 24 hours earlier and he said it shouldn't have been sold to me. Instead I should buy a $360 per year plan. ( In retrospect it appears that the $360 he quoted me was for their Business Hosting with a Virtual Private Server when all I wanted is upgraded email.)

At that point I was clearly irritated but under control even when he told me not "to be that guy". But it became obvious that he had no interest in helping resolve my issue. He was there to sell. GoDaddy records the support sessions and I can only hope that someone listens to that most unsatisfactory call. I've got his email address so they can clearly identify him. Today I resolved the problem on my own and I have the IMAP email working. Meantime I'm making plans to move all of our domains from GoDaddy.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Each time I contact support they turn my problem into an opportunity to sell. Each agent will try to scare you into buying something irrelevant to your issue. You will get passed around like a cash cow, accumulate hours of wait time and dire support. After a purchase of any add ons, all the promises fall short, issues don't get fixed and you had more problems than before! The experience is hellish. I am running for the hills.

Original review: April 8, 2019

GoDaddy did very little for me. 2 minutes to sign up, 2 hours to shut down the site. Will not refund unused portions of money. Sold my contact info to Third party vendor. Do not expect a "Sorry" from GoDaddy. Terrible company. I feel scammed. Bruce **. Alexandria Bay New York.

Original review: April 6, 2019

When I first became a GoDaddy customer in 2000, the service was fantastic. Now, in 2019, I've been working for six weeks to solve an SSL problem. Unfortunately, you can't send an email or fill out a form online for GoDaddy to solve the problem for you. You can only call. But after 15 or 20 minutes of waiting I often have to hang up. I have already wasted about five hours. I have spoken to someone a few times in the end. First, I had to renew the key, next time I had to take another type of SSL-certificate, but the SSL-checker keeps indicating "expired" for a certificate that was only installed a few days ago... I get very tired of this.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I called to pay for SSL certificate for two years. Curtis told me it would be done by 3pm the same day April 3. I called back since my website was still not working. I called in today. The rep told me Curtis didn’t submit the work to be done. He charged me full price and didn’t complete the services. Just garbage. There is no manager to speak with since the rep told me I reached the night shift office and he could not reach the day shift. Horrible service.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Beware of these crooks: my accountant informed me I was charged $500.00 by them in 2018. I ordered an SEO product which it turns out I was charged DOUBLE the amount. They refused to issue me any kind of a refund for products neither ordered or used - I didn't even know I had been paying double for a product. When I asked for a simple refund for something I never used, they said: "Sorry". They have a terrible reputation, and this just proves it.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I came to Godaddy several years ago (maybe a decade). The customer service was unbelievably awesome. You could call 24/7 and talk to someone immediately. The last couple of year it's been going downhill fast. First, calling now requires going through the complex computer system, and if you select the wrong buttons, you get transferred. Long hold times. Sometimes over 45 minutes and almost always 10+ minutes.

I bought some SSL certs, and the person didn't ask the right questions so it wasn't set up right. Didn't figure that out for many days. Called several times (on hold, gave up after 45 minutes once). Got through, new person said I should move to a new server (cheaper, faster). He said it would take 10 minutes to 24 hrs to remove the domains from the old server so I could manually enable it on the new server (wouldn't be automatic). After two days and more calling, found out the removal timed out. On the phone right now, and the new person is saying it will take another 24 hrs (maybe--no guarantee it will work).

So now my multiple websites are down, I am still waiting for some magic to happen on the Godaddy end, and there is no assurance that I'll be up and running tomorrow. Once my domains are relocated, I still have to wait up to 48 hours for the SSL work to happen (and I paid for that 2 weeks ago). Conclusion: Big company, doesn't care as much as it did, no longer hungry enough to keep customers satisfied.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I bought a domain in 2016 and started an online business. I got focused on my other businesses and just left the domains up. They auto-charged me, two plus years after, for products I don't want and don't use. Then they refuse to issue a refund, when they can tell that I never used it. I've been a paying customer all along and have 3 domains with them. You'd think they'd take better care of their customers, instead of tricking people into buying stuff they don't want.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Godaddy lately is very disappointing. I have been a customer since year 2000. Now I have a shared plan with 1 drupal website and 1 prestashop ecommerce. 2 websites. My traffic is medium low. Maybe 500 per day. Not telling you the pain of the last 2 years... Out of the blue the website is down since 2 days because am using too much "entry processes". I never even reach the traffic or the ram or the other limits. Got an email saying that it is time to upgrade. THEY deliberately turned my websites and e-commerce down since 2 days!!! And I am a regular paying customer (actually I bought 2 years in advance). STAY AWAY FROM GODADDY. Trying to talk to somebody at support... the automated voice says 20 minutes of wait, and when you are waiting 5 minutes the call ends. The chat is "busy"! Something dramatically changed at Godaddy in the last 5 years. Up to you what, but do not choose Godaddy!

GoDaddy.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GoDaddy is one of the most popular web hosts in the world, and currently serves over 45 million domains. It is known for its low cost, domain name auctions, and its back-ordering policy for unavailable domains.

• Easy to use: GoDaddy comes with an integrated control panel that makes it easy to access email, upload web page files, and install add-ons.

• Straightforward setup: Once you purchase hosting services, it is easy to set up your account and begin using it.

• 24-hour customer support: GoDaddy offers a variety of customer support options 24 hours a day. There is an online FAQ to help customers get answers to common problems they may encounter. Phone and email support is also available. Despite GoDaddy’s size, customer service emails are answered within 24 hours.

• Website builder costs extra: Customers who don’t want to design their website from scratch must pay extra fees to access GoDaddy’s website builder tools, although the tools are very useful for both beginning and seasoned web designers.

• Storage space: The economy plan comes with only 10GB of storage space – enough for most small business owners, but anyone who plans to expand his/her business and consequently his/her website may end up paying more for extra space. Even GoDaddy’s advanced plans offer comparatively little space – you can get unlimited storage space and bandwidth, but your database is limited to 1GB.

• Shopping cart: Ecommerce tools cost extra, and the shopping cart has an inventory cap. If you want to offer more inventory, you have to pay an extra fee.

• Best for: Personal website owners, web hosting companies and bloggers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Godaddy.com questions and answers

What problem is GoDaddy trying to solve?
There are approximately 210 million small businesses worldwide; GoDaddy helps them get online. We are dedicated to helping small businesses turn their powerful ideas into meaningful action. GoDaddy gives small business owners the tools to name their idea, build a beautiful online presence, attract customers and manage their business.
What sets GoDaddy apart from the competition?
Often technology companies force their customers to choose between technology and support, delivering one but not the other. At GoDaddy, we break that compromise and deliver both great products and great support to our customers. We believe engaging with our customers in a proactive, consultative way helps them knock down the technology hurdles they face. And, through the thousands of conversations we have with our customers every day, we receive valuable feedback that enables us to continually evolve our products and solutions.
What needs do your products services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
GoDaddy operates the world’s largest domain marketplace, where our customers can find the perfect name to match their idea. We provide website building, hosting and security tools to help customers easily construct and expand their online presence.

In addition, GoDaddy’s product suite includes Get Found to help small businesses attract new customers on popular destinations including Google and Yelp and Online Store which provides everything a small business owner needs to open and run a full ecommerce store. We also offer productivity tools including Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and Get Paid.

What sets us apart from competitors is our intense focus on customer service. About 60 percent of our workforce is dedicated to customer care. These are the friendly, knowledgeable and compassionate people who are there any time of day or night to help a customer resolve a problem or answer questions. Many of our customers tell us having our personalized technology resources available around the clock is like having their very own IT department at their disposal, at no cost.
How does GoDaddy measure success?
GoDaddy measures success against our mission and values. GoDaddy's mission is to radically shift the global economy toward small businesses by empowering people to easily start, confidently grow and successfully run their own ventures.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
A common misconception about our industry is that you have to be “tech savvy” to create a website. At GoDaddy, we leverage what we know about our customers to give them simple products and services that work fit their needs. If they have questions, we have localized customer support agents available for personalized support around-the-clock.

Some consumers don’t know what GoDaddy does because of our past advertising. When Blake Irving joined as CEO in January 2013, he shifted GoDaddy’s advertising to focus on small businesses and how GoDaddy enables them to successfully get online and grow their digital presence.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
GoDaddy essentially ‘democratized’ domain names back when the company was born in 1997. Before the company launched, the domain name registration process was complicated and expensive. GoDaddy brought mainstream marketing, competitive prices, reliable technology and personalized customer service to the early days of domain name registration, which revolutionized the registrar landscape and propelled GoDaddy to its No. 1 ranking in the world.

Today, GoDaddy has evolved and provides small businesses owners with the products and services they need to manage and grow their business. GoDaddy offers Website Builder, Online Store and professional design services for websites.

GoDaddy also offers Get Found, to help small businesses attract new customers and productivity tools including: Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and a tool to help small businesses Get Paid.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about GoDaddy?
Has your business received any awards that your customers would like to know about?
In 2014, GoDaddy won the following awards: 2014 Stevie Awards Sales & Customer Service, Bay Area’s 2014 Top Work Places (Bay Area News Group), Washington’s 100 Best Companies to Work For (Seattle Business Magazine), Iowa’s 2014 Top Workplaces (Des Moines Register), 2014 Best Places to Work in the Valley (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 AZ Most Admired Companies (AZ Big Media), 2014 Valley’s Healthiest Employers (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 Arizona Corporate Counsel Awards.
How has GoDaddy grown or evolved?
GoDaddy has refined its user-experience and reinvigorated product offerings sharply focused on helping small businesses effortlessly leverage the power of the Internet. GoDaddy has also shifted our brand strategy to revolve around small businesses.

Godaddy.com Company Information