Godaddy.com

Godaddy.com
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.29/5

GoDaddy is a web host and domain provider that offers multiple website plans and features. One of the largest domain-hosting companies, GoDaddy also provides multiple add-on services and 24/7 customer support.

BOTTOM LINE

GoDaddy is a web host and domain registrar. It offers affordable introductory rates and some free features in the first year. Many of its features come with extra costs that can add up quickly.

PROS

• One of the largest domain hosts
  • Plans for Linux and Windows
  • 24/7 phone support

CONS

• Extra cost for backup
  • Limited live chat help

Top Godaddy.com Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy?

I have been hosting my business site with Godaddy for more than 10 years… I've had to call with questions many times and was very impressed each time that I got a human on the phone who… was friendly and understood exactly what the problem was...

...GoDaddy has been amazing. A human is always available -- very short wait times and their tech support goes out of their way to help. I know enough to set up a web page -- but I am not genius. They have helped me several times over the past 2 years.

What is GoDaddy?

GoDaddy is a domain registrar and web host that has been around for more than 20 years. It claims a 99.95% uptime, meaning its site interruptions are rare. The company also offers 24/7 support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

With GoDaddy, you can add email and other features to your domain for a fee. Add-ons like daily backups and SSL certificate might cost extra, depending on the plan you choose. Overall, GoDaddy is easy to use, especially for those who aren’t experienced in website building.

GoDaddy hosting plans

GoDaddy offers several hosting packages, but all plans include unmetered bandwidth and free one-click WordPress installation. Here’s a breakdown of the company’s hosting plans:

• Economy: Offers basic resources for those just starting. Includes one website, 100 GB of storage, standard performance and 10 databases.
    • Deluxe: Offers more space and flexibility. Comes with unlimited websites and storage, standard performance and 25 databases.
    • Ultimate: A good choice for heavier-traffic WordPress sites. Includes unlimited websites and storage, increased processing power and unlimited databases.
    • Maximum: Intended for complex sites with high-resolution photo and video. Comes with unlimited websites and storage, increased processing power and unlimited databases.

Each plan also offers a free domain for your first term. The Ultimate and Maximum plans include a free SSL certificate.

GoDaddy pricing

GoDaddy offers introductory promotional prices, but you’ll have to pay the regular price when your account renews. Also, although the prices are listed by month, GoDaddy charges annually. The promotional and standard costs are:

• Economy: $2.99 a month, then $7.99 a month on renewal
    • Deluxe: $4.99 a month, then $10.99 a month on renewal
    • Ultimate: $5.99 a month, then $16.99 a month on renewal
    • Maximum: $12.99 a month, then $24.99 a month on renewal

Once your first term is up, the price for a domain is $17.99. GoDaddy’s email services start at $5.99, and the cost of its website builder ranges from $10 to $25 a month.

Overall, your GoDaddy website might cost around $36 to $160 annually for your first term, but the price will jump to an average of $200 to $350 annually after renewal.

GoDaddy FAQ

What is GoDaddy used for?
    GoDaddy is used primarily as a web host. You can also purchase a domain name from the company.
    Do I own my domain name with GoDaddy?
    When you register a domain name with GoDaddy, you own the name. If you let your registration expire, you lose the domain.
    How does GoDaddy work?
    You pay GoDaddy to register a user name and/or host your website. When your contract ends, you can choose to renew or let your domain and name expire.
    What does GoDaddy do?
    GoDaddy hosts millions of websites and associated email addresses. The company is one of the largest domain hosts in the world.
    How much does GoDaddy’s web builder cost?
    Depending on the plan you choose, GoDaddy’s web builder can cost between $9.99 and $24.99 a month when billed annually.
    Is GoDaddy a good host?
    It’s one of the largest hosts and is generally reputable. It does, however, charge extra for features other hosts offer free.

Is GoDaddy good?

GoDaddy is one of the most commonly used web hosts and domain registrars in the industry. That said, the company has mixed customer reviews — many don’t appreciate its high renewal fees, and GoDaddy charges extra for several features other hosts offer at no cost. If you’re looking for a web host and domain registrar, make sure to shop around before committing. You could find a company that better suits your needs and your budget.

Godaddy.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Godaddy.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I have used this company extensively over the past few years but yesterday I received a very aggressive letter from their collection agency which is called Certegy Payment Solutions. I called GoDaddy and they confirmed that I do not owe them anything but when I called Certegy the Lady I spoke to was very aggressive and told me that I owe Certegy $168.03 which they say they, paid to GoDaddy for renewals on my account?! I guess that they somehow finance GoDaddy? The only solution offered by GoDaddy was to send an email to their legal dept and to their HQ?? Certegy are threatening to wreck my credit over a debt that according to me and, to GoDaddy I do not owe. So buyer beware, GoDaddy is dealing with some very shady entities that out of nowhere can threaten GoDaddy customers with debts that even GoDaddy admits, are not owed?? Seems insane!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Godaddy easily took my money and one week later set me up with someone to design a new website. This person just copied my present website and did not communicate in a timely fashion, if at all. Customer service just snowballed me from one department to the next when I cancelled my account. Five weeks later, they refused to give me a full refund even though my account was cancelled within the 30 day window specified. Promised phone calls were not returned. Excuses were always made. This is a dishonest company.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Customer Pro Account - Customer #: ** I am a PRO member and have had GoDaddy host my websites and products for over 15 years. On Feb 3 received email telling me that all my websites (12) were being migrated to a new server and as long as I don’t use WAF or CDN (I don’t) migration will be simple, I don’t need to do anything. I trusted them since all has been good previous years, no reason to check my sites. Feb 8, my customer called me and told me my bus website was missing. I checked and all 12 sites were gone. I called day and was on hold for over 45 minutes, no one ever answered. I tried again Feb 9 and was told they had to send me over to “migration support” waited 1.5 hr and no one ever came on. Tried again Feb 11 and the same thing repeated, again Feb 12 w/ same results. I put in a ticket to avoid phone ignore, and they responded with I must call in to resolve.

I have called 5 times and been on hold 10-15 minutes to be told I was being forwarded to the “migration team” responsible, and they never answered – waited on hold from 45 mins – to 1.75 hours with no one responding – and to date – no one has done anything to help get their problem fixed – I did not cause this – they did.

My final attempt was on Feb 18th and was actually working with a tech for about 3 hours – only to find out, she can not help me and she was trying to reach the migration team, who she said, is down and not up and working and hasn’t been for days. My business websites have now been down for over two weeks and no one will help get it corrected. I called Sales and told them I am moving my accounts since they have had it down for 2.5 weeks and no one seems to want to fix it, so I wanted a refund for the remaining half a year of hosting I paid for. They told me I am past the cancellation date and therefore no refund would be given. My websites are not up because of their stupidity, and to top it off, I can’t have a refund for my sites that are not actually online anymore. I want a 50% refund, I should sue them for more as they have interrupted my business dramatically with the lack of my websites online.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

GoDaddy's Logo Design department is a joke! Please do not entrust this very important task with them. They promise 3 finished logos and have you engage in these useless consultations as if they really care about your preferences or unique logo needs and then create whatever they want - just to be able to say they created the logos as promised. I believe they take your money upfront because they know that the quality of the work is extremely poor and this way they can avoid you and/or fight you on a refund even when they didn't hold up their end of the bargain. The fact that Nick O, the Customer Experience Manager knows nothing about customer services but yet sits in this position is very telling that this department needs to be overhauled.

So, please do not waste your time working with him if you're not satisfied with your logo or Ail who apparently is a step or 2 above him is equally as bad. I have done other business with GoDaddy in terms of my domain, email addresses and hosting services, but am looking at some of their competitors for it is very clear that GoDaddy doesn't value their customers but maybe once they lose enough of business they'll begin to understand how important their customers really are.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I was a client for 3-4 years and with the service I received I will close all my pages and domains. I created a new website for a new business and GODADDY service was the worst thing I ever imagined, they wanted to make me pay them extra $ 60 for a page that I already made more opening fees than I was clearly willing to pay. An absolute theft. I will try to close all my pages and look for a company that is willing to help and not steal from its customers. The problem is not the extra money, it is the quality of customer service, since they try to abuse power and make a profit for everything.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Long story: I've been with GoDaddy since 2010 helping clients maintain their website. They used to be the golden standard in the 2000s but obviously that has changed! Since my clients didn't expect much, I didn't run into issues, until one day, I decided to create a website for myself. I chose Wordpress hosting. I picked a theme, paid for it, no issues for 2 years. On a random day, I decided to change the layout of my main page and when I saved the changes, I was hit with an internal server error (which other people here have mentioned).

When I contacted GoDaddy several times to see if anyone can offer an actual solution, they just kept telling me it's the theme's issue. When they changed my theme back to the default theme, the website was fine. To me, I can't understand how the theme was the issue. It was fine for 2 years and I didn't install ANY updates for it. One of my clients also used the same theme and he had no issues with it either. Eventually, I was tired so I purchased a new theme.

Again, everything was fine until one day, the website refused to load in specific locations, mostly my home, my workplace and my phone on LTE. I didn't even know how long this was going on as I barely view my own website unless I need to. I've asked people in different locations to also view my website and it worked for some people and not others. Many people had the same issue and posted on GoDaddy's forum but had no real solution to the problem. When I called up GoDaddy (3-4 times) and spoke with each of them for at least half hour, I was always getting the "everything is fine on our end" and they continuously blamed my ISP and everyone else's.

At the end, they came up with the idea that the server my website was hosted on is blocked off by ISPs. Why? No one knows. When I asked them if the website could be moved, I was told no because it's a shared server. The CSR told me to switch from Wordpress Hosting to Basic Web Hosting. I had to pay extra and on top of that, it was a frustrating experience. Because of GODADDY'S error and because my website refused to load for no reason, I ended up paying extra for transferring my service and they even had the nerves to want to charge me $100+ for a migration service for their mistake.

At this rate, I was completely through with them. On top of all this, I compared the pricing to other host/domain providers and without GoDaddy's reoccurring "promotion" pricing, they're not much cheaper than other providers. In fact, I could've paid $5 more elsewhere and get SSL certificate/security and daily backups at no extra cost. GoDaddy has been charging me $40 a year for backups and their cheapest SSL pricing was $80 on average. IMO, does it make sense to let a customer worry about these things? Why would anyone want to visit a website that isn't secured? No one does! Why this isn't added or included to any of their hosting plans is beyond my comprehension.

In 2021, GoDaddy is still charging for SSL certification and with different price ranges depending on the customer. Last year, they were charging my husband for a service he never used. GoDaddy credited him for the unused service (a service that he never opted into in the first place, by the way). The agent suggested to put the credit towards to an SSL certificate through phone. Everything seemed fine at the time. Just yesterday, my husband tried to modify his website and for some reason, it wasn't working. Spent 20 minutes on the phone with GoDaddy, the agent said that unless my husband renews and pays $150 for the SSL certificate that he previously had, the website won't work and there's no way around this. Are you serious? Why is the customer responsible for this?

Now my husband is infuriated as he was never told this ahead of time. On top of that, this was an upset product that was credited to him by phone. The agent didn't say anything about the website not working if SSL isn't being paid for anymore. GoDaddy has lost me as a customer, and I warned my husband in the past. Now, they also lost my husband as a customer.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Terrible Terrible. It is very difficult to port number or have your phone number release to take your business line to a functional telephone company. Their services is very long and drawn out. I was trying to have Goddady release my number to add a line to a family plan which had the same day deadline as my bill and it was quite impossible to get it done as other companies release numbers within minutes. My bill was due in months ahead so I owed no money.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Outgoing emails are constantly being blocked. Sometimes there is a failure message and sometimes there is not. Even some messages being sent to me have been blocked as spam and I did not receive them (not even in my spam folder). The customer service is never helpful. They tell me to submit a form on their website and say I will have to wait for a response. I never get responses or even a confirmation ticket. I have called multiple times and they really don't care to help. They seemed to be trained only to sell their upgraded service. I have never had worse customer service. This is the first time I have ever written a negative review of a company. Business relationships are on the line and Godaddy is a saboteur.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I'm the Senior Architect for a medium sized web development firm. This is the kind of company that seems alright until it isn't... and then you're stuck with nowhere to go. Believe me, this is the kind of company you want to avoid. Most of GoDaddy's services are reliable with the exception of their SSL certificate portal which breaks often. The problem is that they practice "black-box" tech support. If there is a problem on their end then it will be escalated into a realm that is simply inaccessible, and from which they never provide information. Inquiring about the problem with first-level support will get you nowhere. If you're lucky (more often not at all!) you'll get an e-mail when they close the ticket - regardless of whether it has been resolved to your satisfaction.

This is not a single experience either. I have had this a handful of times and I've spent days pulling my hair and trying to get answers. The last time it happened, I e-mailed Auguste ** (Chief People Officer) and Jeff ** (Head of Account Management) pleading for information because there was no other avenue of recourse. They ignored my e-mails. In summary, GoDaddy refuses to be accountable for their problems. You might get a friendly voice on the phone but beyond first-level tech support, no one cares that you exist.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Dave GoDaddy $1,100 deposit to do our company's website. Spent over an hour and a half talking with an individual to give him what we were looking for, their first sample to me was unsatisfactory so they said they would update it and make revisions. After the second revision it's not what I asked for so I asked for my money back. They told me I was ineligible to receive a refund because they did a revision. I lost $1,100 3 months and now have to pay out-of-pocket to another company to do our website.

Godaddy.com Company Information