1.07/5

617 Godaddy.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Awful experience, stay away from them! They automatically charged my credit card 150$ for a service I never opted in! I called them for a refund and instead of returning the amount to my bank account they switched my money to an in store credit in order to make me spend the amount within their site! So pathetic tactic... After so long time waiting their representative today couldn't "understand" the fact that I wanted my money back to my credit card and told me that their policy is not to return money but convert it to in-store credits. Think of it: I charge you without your consent and then I tell you buy something from my store, you cannot get it back!!! Stay away from Godaddy.com.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I called to get some info on one of my domain and the lady told me as my website is not secure I should get a SSL certificate and when I asked about the price she told me it's $135 and I told her that let me think and she right away told me that if I want to buy today there is special going on and it'll cost me $67, as I am not very tech savvy I told her that, "Let me ask my web managing guy and I'll get back to you." She said that I don't need any set up and it'll be done automatic so there will be no extra cost for me to pay the web guy, I liked the idea and bought it right away.

I've been checking since then and it did not happen so I called again today and found out from Abbas that it needs to be set up and if I need the automatic one I have to pay $199, I asked to speak to supervisor and she told me that they are sorry and they'll talk to the person who initially sold and offered me that the auto SSL certificate is $250 and she can discount this service by 20% and the total cost to me would be $200. Obviously I was upset as they all are just giving me different price and to my surprise I was told later that this is in US dollars and not Canadian which was not even disclosed ever.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Most every site I am spammed is hosted by GoDaddy. They love spammers. It brings them lots of $$$ and does not harm them personally. The spammers are from all sorts of businesses. Godaddy must be stopped. Their officers should be in jail for life.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

First, they sold me two different products that did the same thing. I found that out from a subsequent salesperson. So I got a refund. Then, another salesperson told me something different than the first two had said. The site is incredibly difficult to use. I decided to go with Bluehost and spent 1 1/2 hours today just trying to get my domain name transferred to Bluehost. I don't think the chat person could even see the screens they were sending me to, which didn't say what the chat person said they would. I received an email that said one of my products was canceled; the chat person said it was registration that was canceled. So why can't I believe the e-mail? I'm so glad I am going with Bluehost, whose techs really know what they are talking about. If I could leave no stars, I would. Don't even start with these people; it will be a nightmare if you ever want to leave it. I wish I hadn't.

Updated on 10/15/2018: I jumped through all the hoops I was required to and contacted Bluehost, who put through the domain transfer request. GODADDY REJECTED IT in an email that literally made no sense, other than to seem to say that they didn't want to do it. I am livid! They told me I didn't remove the privacy (I already did) and then I would get another EPP code and have to call Bluehost and start the process again. If these people are so incompetent how do they even stay in business?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Very very worst service, please remove that "AWARD WINNING SUPPORT TEAM" from your front end. No doubts solved by that customer care. Dear guys, business people please don't go with this for your business, it will spoil everything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy.com?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have purchased numerous domain names from Godaddy over the years. The ongoing problem they continue to have is their automatic renewal system. The last domain I registered, once again as I now always do, I had to track down how NOT to have my registration automatically renewed to ensure I wouldn't get hit with charges I didn't want. They do not make it easy. It's not an 'opt out' or 'opt in' option when you sign up.

You have to physically hunt for it and I am sure there is a reason for that... Extra fraudulent income for them! So imagine my surprise when without any warning, and knowing I did not request my domain name to be renewed, they stole $19.99 from my account! Talking to them is a joke. Even with my account number, the transaction ID, the transaction number... If I didn't have my long lost code to get in, I was out of luck. They are rip off artists to the nth degree, and I would avoid them like the plague if you don't want nonsense charges being zapped out of your bank without any way to prove you opted out.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Worst service and repeatedly miscommitting and ask for the money. First when I asked them about my requirements that I want 100 mail, domain name and want to host a dot net project with SQL server they recommended me the Linux hosting plan and add the plan to my cart. I paid for this. When I am going to publish my website a faces some problem called them they told I have to purchase windows plan for that and why previously they added c panel. They told, "Sorry for previous commitment you have to purchase new."

In the time of my purchase they called me repeatedly but when I am facing problem They also take my number and Email not even contact me executives repeatedly telling lies. They don't have sound technical knowledge. When I asked Akhila ** that I will directly complain share your employee id directly denied to share the employee id. I think Godaddy is a big fraud. Empid: (not agreed to disclose). 12.18pm, 2-0ctober-2018.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have been in the IT field since 1984, and have used several hosting companies over the past several years, but GoDaddy is the worst I have ever subscribed to! I had paid for a domain and email account on Oct. 3rd, 2017. I had surgery and that didn't go very well and I spent several months in ICU in a coma. Keep in mind I paid for one year upfront. After getting out of the hospital, I received an email from them that my services are due for renewal. I called them to advise that I thought this was not due till October. 3rd. I advised them that I'm on a government disability that pays me once a month and even though my account is up for renewal... (They claim)... I can't pay till October. 3rd. I went into a little detail about being out of work etc. even though that shouldn't matter since I'm already paid up till October.

They said, "That's ok just call us back when you can pay for renewal." Well I thought ok that's great, good customer service. Well was I WRONG!!! I got slammed with dozens of harassing and threatening emails telling me that they want their money plus another $80 - if I want to recover my accounts. Next thing I find out is that the emails are being held back and not being delivered to me. I had multiple emails from FEMA regarding the recent natural disasters among other emails. I called them several times over the past week about the emails they kept sending to my Gmail account and they claim there's no problem just pay for it when I get paid.

Finally I can't even log into the GoDaddy payment website so I call them today and now they say your domain fee is past due, but your email is still working, but since you didn't pay for your domain they are blocking all emails. Remember, I paid for this for a year in advance last October and it's not due till this October. Today is Saturday Sept. 22nd 2018. They began blocking my emails this past week, and prior to that they were delaying all emails for more than a day even though the payments are not even due till next month. All I can say is, this shows very unprofessional tactics and rotten customer service. If you are thinking of using them for anything, you're better off using two tin cans and a string for your communications because you'll have better luck and a lot less headaches.

I could write a novel here about the tricks they pulled on me when I first signed up to use their domains and email services such as trying to push me into having them add thousands of dollars in web design, search engine listing, upgraded services for much higher fees, and I swear they must employ felons and con-men because the tactics they use are almost criminal. Here's a bit of advice from a guy that has several other accounts through other companies, all of which are still working... Before going down the same dark road with GoDaddy: "Caveat Emptor" which is Latin for let the buyer beware, meaning the buyer assumes the risk in a transaction.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I am running dedicated server on Godaddy.com, one day my server space was full, so I was getting no disk space error on my website, so I called GoDaddy customer care, I told I need to purchase more space. One girl named "BANDA" was attending my call, she told me, "You have to pay some 5k INR more for this," I agreed. She added item in my cart and told me to pay, when I completed payment and checked my website, that no disk space error was still there, when I seen my product for checking space is increased or not, I was surprised - she increased my RAM instead of Disk SPACE. When I told her this, she told me, it happen by mistake from her and told sorry to me. Also she told she will start refund process in next day, she will call me for this, but after that I never got any call.

I called GoDaddy customer care many times, every time they told me, "You will get solution soon." But after 2 months I never got a call, even when I told, "No problem. Let downgrade my plan," they told me it is not possible, I have to change the server. I don't understand why I need to change the server, if I can upgrade in 1 click, why can't downgrade in 1 click. I feel cheated with this company, even I have to pay 6000 INR per month because they did mistake. I am planning to do legal case in Ahmedabad against this company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Someone stole my credit card information to pay for his or her due on this site. I have no business with this site and have never try to order anything; neither have I any intention to do so in the future. I ended up cancelling the charge. Apparently they have very insecure payment/billing system. They don't even ask you for CVV if someone try to create an account there. At the minimum they should ask for CVV to minimize the fraud risk. Avoid using this site!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

This company is probably one of the worst in 20 years I've dealt with. I feel cheated and robbed. They gave my mom about a $500-$800 extra charge, then they kept doing little add-ons that were FREE with other hosting. Pathetic.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

The "awarding winning" customer service they advertise has over 47 minutes of hold time. Whether you are chatting or trying to call. This company does not understand customer service. Billing is shady and happens without authorization.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Had a trial period for domain name. When it expired they charged my company credit card EVEN though I had auto renew off when I got my credit card statement and it reflected GoDaddy. I tried to cancel and they refused to give me my money back. They make you put financial info in to scam you. Worse mistake I’ve made in my company was to deal with GoDaddy!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Godaddy is the sleaziest web services company I have ever experienced. It starts from the top in this company, they incentive their customer service reps on new sales of any of their products. So when you receive a call from their company or you call them, beware that you will get charged for something on your account without you knowing it. And if your auto renewal is not turned on, they will shut off your services after 30 days. I'm sure Godaddy does not pay all of their net 30, so it would be nice to see them get shut down!! I read all of the stories on this site and they are true. If the customer service reps cannot make a buck off of you, they will get off the phone and not help you. Stay away!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

So I just logged into my GoDaddy account, and noticed that one of my more valuable domain names "Expired" yesterday! I'm in SHOCK, because I know I had set it to auto renew. In an effort to get to the bottom of this, I looked back in my emails, to the email message from GoDaddy, that warns you when domain names are about to expire. I did have a message from GoDaddy, and it said that this particular domain name was set to AUTO-RENEW. It's right here in my email. I have not been in my GoDaddy account since I got that email. Yet, somebody had turned OFF the auto-renew. I was about to lose a valuable domain name. LUCK was with me, that for another reason, I logged into my account, saw this happening, and was able to renew that name. I do NOT trust them anymore. It's a SHAME.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Been with them for years and every time I try to log in it is a hassle. They keep saying it is the cache. I type directly from paper and it does not log in. So yeah I get to spend half a day arguing with rude people.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I have been with GoDaddy for years but only because of the difficulty of switching domain providers. When you want your website to run smoothly for a business, you try and keep things easy. I have never understood the GoDaddy account manager. It all seems needlessly complicated and designed to make you pay more than you should. I paid for an email plan, got the receipt, and then went back to managements and it told me to pay again. I have recently missed out on very important client emails because one day, my email forwarding decided to stop working unbeknownst to me. No warning; no nothing to tell me that my clients were trying to reach me and all think they are being ignored. I have decided to leave GoDaddy and find another provider, even if it is a huge pain in the butt to do so.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

We bought a domain name from GoDaddy, paid for 3 years. After under a year they claimed that we don't own it because we cancelled it. We demanded proof of cancellation but they didn't have it. We never cancelled it. I don't know how FCC allows them to get away with this. Unless Ajit Pai has any relationship with Godaddy. Make no mistake. Don't fall for Godaddy's fake promotions. Their so called customer service people are so rude and hang up or throw you back in the queue if they are not going to make any sales and commission off your call. The supervisors never come to the phone, the hold is over an hour. Beware, don't become a victim like us.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Renewal - GoDaddy has gone total ripoff. Giving you services you don't need then using automatic billing to gouge you later. Can you say Wells Fargo. I will leave them for a company with better moral standards. Like I did Wells Fargo.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Watch out for automatic renewals. Their return policy is 24 hours. 10 years ago I signed up for a domain name with automatic renewal. I sold my business 5 years ago and have no legal right to the domain name anymore. I received a $500 charge on my credit card and they refused to reverse the charge because I originally checked a box for automatic renewal and I was outside the 24 hour time period to contest this charge. These guys are a scam!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

This web hosting site provides cheap upfront costs but then hits you with unsuspecting costs later on. I paid my dues which I thought was for a year but then received a bill within 6 months. I had no choice because my card was on file. I then canceled my purchase but it was too late to avoid the additional fees. Please be aware that you will pay more than you thought at first. I am sure there are better sites available. I would never use this site again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

They automatically after 3 years charged my account $75 without my authorization and when I called they said that is was past the date to dispute the matter. I had never used the domain, never got my company off the ground and I just assumed, just like in the past with them, they would just cancel it. I was injured and had 8 surgeries in the past 3 years, I no longer have a job, and don't have full use of my arms and legs, and need to eat, so $75 is a lot to me right now. They said not even a doctor's note would get me a refund. The manager was rude and condescending - really upset me and very disturbing that these greedy companies can get away with things like this.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I got a 2yr subscription and then literally just started getting emails and??? alerts. My name and info started to show up on “dark website“ and I was subscribing and saying that I agreed to this and that!!! Now I know that I didn’t. Anyone who’s ever been to there knows that they are just turning a blind eye to whatever they are allowing!!! I’m not going to pay over $200 some $ for 2 wks tops!!! That’s when charges just started showing up on my accounts and my husband somehow I have 3 Fb accounts... I know that if my husband keeps thinking that I’m just wandering around the internet looking for ways to (get him)...

If this cost me anything else especially my marriage, I will sue them for that. I am so very stupid too. Don’t get me wrong, I was stupid. But that’s just it. They are the biggest and so everyone just assumes that we are being protected and NOBODY CAN PROTECT YOU FROM ANYONE ELSE BUT YOURSELF AND THAT'S JUST SO VERY SAD. Don’t ever ever send anything to anybody on the web. Not on Facebook. Not on any site!!! Just find a phone # or google them which I did, and do some fact-checking on everything and not just on internet.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My 2 websites are down for 2 days and tried reaching support but they will make me wait and they will disconnect my call. My websites are down from one week and Godaddy accepted the issue is from their end but they are doing nothing to solve the Issue and how many times I call that many times my call was disconnected. Worst support. Now I am planning to migrate to AWS or Google Cloud. I think these companies have some standards. Godaddy billed me for my back up and now they are telling even my backup is not available because of the same issue.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I am Nishant **, Director and CO-Founder of **. located in India. On 28th of August, 2018 our Website with URL ** which is hosted with Godaddy has gone down. Though our technical team tried reaching out to the customer care team of Godaddy, they have been Telling us that is a known issue and the Godaddy technical team is working towards it. They have had no clue on how long it's gonna take to resolve, our business was affected for almost 20+ Hours and we are extremely unhappy towards the turn of events.

It doesn’t stop here, after the website was up and running we found one our employees' official mail ID (CPanel mail) was missing and few pages of our website are also missing. We have had to call back the customer care Godaddy and again all they have to say is that it will take time and they are looking into it. It's been over 7 Days since the issue has occurred and there is serious breach of policy and trust, we would like to understand from Godaddy, if at all they are willing to sort the things out before we take further actions. NOTE: As a customer, neither we were informed about the downtime of the server OR the issue and to date we have no clue about what is going on, NO FEEDBACKS and NO CALLBACKS!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I purchased a Domain name on Godaddy 2 years ago, and never used the name. I was billed again this month after 2 years for the Domain name I had never used, and what I am upset about is that Godaddy never notified me before billing me after 2 years even asking if I wanted to continue with the payment of the Domain name.

I noticed the charge on my credit card statement today, called them right away, and I was told it’s an automatic 2-year payment, and they could not/would not return my monies, but would cancel the order for me. I asked for a confirmation # for the cancellation, and they couldn’t even give me that. So now if I am charged again in two years, I have no proof of cancellation. They hold your credit card hostage! I would not work with them again!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have been trying to advertise my ecommerce with GoDaddy for the past year and a half however I am unable to because of huge errors that keep occurring. If it's not a plugin that stopped working it's an update which I was suppose to update. However according to customer service it's my fault that the site got hacked. It's being constantly spammed. Customer service always puts the blame on me and tells me to purchase some kind of product. The last one I bought is a security product and they assured me that my website will no longer be hacked or spammed. It has already happened four time in a matter of four months. I keep constantly asking for a refund however they refuse to refund me any money.

In the beginning I was stupid enough to purchase a 3 yr subscription and they refuse to refund any money. They pressured me in purchasing an SEO however my website does not even show when I search with the focus words used!!! I have another company and I have used WIX. I have recommend them you have an SEO and SSL automatically and we have done so well with it!!! They should shut down GoDaddy because it is a ripoff and a scam!!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

Godaddy uses fraudulent and dishonest business behavior. Stay away. I was a customer for several years from 2014 to 2018. Once you give them your credit card, it can't be deleted without replacing it with another credit card to bill. Your credit card is held hostage to be used by GoDaddy for non-approved billing charges. Overcharging your credit card is their first priority. Customer service is their last priority. Over the years, I purchased several domain names. Sometimes, for several years. When it came time for renewal their software automatically activates the automatic renewal button. Within the last twelve months, I went into my account and removed the automatic renewals for my 8 domain names. On July 25 I went into my account. I discovered the automatic renewal button was activated on all 8 domains. This behavior happened last year. This time, I was charged for a three year renewal at $75 dollars.

On July 19, GoDaddy sent me an email notifying the cost of renewal was $24.95 for one year on July 24. I had put my account on manual renewal 12 months ago, so it wasn't supposed to renew. On July 25, they sent an email with an invoice stating my credit card that I couldn't remove was charged $75 for a 3-year renewal. I called customer service and they said their policy was no refunds. I asked for a manager to email and respond to my complaint. An email was sent informing their policy was no refunds. However, enclosed in the email was the refund policy stating they would issue a refund upon request within 30 days of the credit card charge. I contacted them within 24 hours of the charge and they informed me twice, once by phone and in an email, they didn't issue refunds. I renewed this domain 12 months earlier for one year by accessing my account and making the purchase.

Original review: July 27, 2018

After numerous attempts to reveal the outright theft of my domain sites paid for on the GoDaddy site having been acknowledged and proven, nothing was done to help me. They would not even refund the fees that the unauthorized persons now will benefit from my payment for the next 5 years. Some persons at their site services said they could help out with what was agreed to as a theft, but when escalated to the supervisor level as well as the undo group and the US directed persons responsible to fix this, all was met with a dead end.

Original review: July 24, 2018

With a critical issue of my website going down they have made promises that it was being worked on and then another supervisor said it wasn't. I'm getting the runaround on a critical issue and am very disappointed in what I thought was a first-class company.

GoDaddy.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GoDaddy is one of the most popular web hosts in the world, and currently serves over 45 million domains. It is known for its low cost, domain name auctions, and its back-ordering policy for unavailable domains.

• Easy to use: GoDaddy comes with an integrated control panel that makes it easy to access email, upload web page files, and install add-ons.

• Straightforward setup: Once you purchase hosting services, it is easy to set up your account and begin using it.

• 24-hour customer support: GoDaddy offers a variety of customer support options 24 hours a day. There is an online FAQ to help customers get answers to common problems they may encounter. Phone and email support is also available. Despite GoDaddy’s size, customer service emails are answered within 24 hours.

• Website builder costs extra: Customers who don’t want to design their website from scratch must pay extra fees to access GoDaddy’s website builder tools, although the tools are very useful for both beginning and seasoned web designers.

• Storage space: The economy plan comes with only 10GB of storage space – enough for most small business owners, but anyone who plans to expand his/her business and consequently his/her website may end up paying more for extra space. Even GoDaddy’s advanced plans offer comparatively little space – you can get unlimited storage space and bandwidth, but your database is limited to 1GB.

• Shopping cart: Ecommerce tools cost extra, and the shopping cart has an inventory cap. If you want to offer more inventory, you have to pay an extra fee.

• Best for: Personal website owners, web hosting companies and bloggers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Godaddy.com questions and answers

What problem is GoDaddy trying to solve?
There are approximately 210 million small businesses worldwide; GoDaddy helps them get online. We are dedicated to helping small businesses turn their powerful ideas into meaningful action. GoDaddy gives small business owners the tools to name their idea, build a beautiful online presence, attract customers and manage their business.
What sets GoDaddy apart from the competition?
Often technology companies force their customers to choose between technology and support, delivering one but not the other. At GoDaddy, we break that compromise and deliver both great products and great support to our customers. We believe engaging with our customers in a proactive, consultative way helps them knock down the technology hurdles they face. And, through the thousands of conversations we have with our customers every day, we receive valuable feedback that enables us to continually evolve our products and solutions.
What needs do your products services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
GoDaddy operates the world’s largest domain marketplace, where our customers can find the perfect name to match their idea. We provide website building, hosting and security tools to help customers easily construct and expand their online presence.

In addition, GoDaddy’s product suite includes Get Found to help small businesses attract new customers on popular destinations including Google and Yelp and Online Store which provides everything a small business owner needs to open and run a full ecommerce store. We also offer productivity tools including Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and Get Paid.

What sets us apart from competitors is our intense focus on customer service. About 60 percent of our workforce is dedicated to customer care. These are the friendly, knowledgeable and compassionate people who are there any time of day or night to help a customer resolve a problem or answer questions. Many of our customers tell us having our personalized technology resources available around the clock is like having their very own IT department at their disposal, at no cost.
How does GoDaddy measure success?
GoDaddy measures success against our mission and values. GoDaddy's mission is to radically shift the global economy toward small businesses by empowering people to easily start, confidently grow and successfully run their own ventures.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
A common misconception about our industry is that you have to be “tech savvy” to create a website. At GoDaddy, we leverage what we know about our customers to give them simple products and services that work fit their needs. If they have questions, we have localized customer support agents available for personalized support around-the-clock.

Some consumers don’t know what GoDaddy does because of our past advertising. When Blake Irving joined as CEO in January 2013, he shifted GoDaddy’s advertising to focus on small businesses and how GoDaddy enables them to successfully get online and grow their digital presence.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
GoDaddy essentially ‘democratized’ domain names back when the company was born in 1997. Before the company launched, the domain name registration process was complicated and expensive. GoDaddy brought mainstream marketing, competitive prices, reliable technology and personalized customer service to the early days of domain name registration, which revolutionized the registrar landscape and propelled GoDaddy to its No. 1 ranking in the world.

Today, GoDaddy has evolved and provides small businesses owners with the products and services they need to manage and grow their business. GoDaddy offers Website Builder, Online Store and professional design services for websites.

GoDaddy also offers Get Found, to help small businesses attract new customers and productivity tools including: Microsoft Office 365, Online Bookkeeping, Email Marketing and a tool to help small businesses Get Paid.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about GoDaddy?
Has your business received any awards that your customers would like to know about?
In 2014, GoDaddy won the following awards: 2014 Stevie Awards Sales & Customer Service, Bay Area’s 2014 Top Work Places (Bay Area News Group), Washington’s 100 Best Companies to Work For (Seattle Business Magazine), Iowa’s 2014 Top Workplaces (Des Moines Register), 2014 Best Places to Work in the Valley (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 AZ Most Admired Companies (AZ Big Media), 2014 Valley’s Healthiest Employers (Phoenix Business Journal), 2014 Arizona Corporate Counsel Awards.
How has GoDaddy grown or evolved?
GoDaddy has refined its user-experience and reinvigorated product offerings sharply focused on helping small businesses effortlessly leverage the power of the Internet. GoDaddy has also shifted our brand strategy to revolve around small businesses.

Godaddy.com Company Information