Godaddy.com

Godaddy.com

3.6/5 (567 ratings)

About Godaddy.com

GoDaddy is a web host and domain provider that offers multiple website plans and features. One of the largest domain-hosting companies, GoDaddy also provides multiple add-on services and 24/7 customer support.

Pros

• One of the largest domain hosts
  • Plans for Linux and Windows
  • 24/7 phone support

Cons

• Extra cost for backup
  • Limited live chat help

Bottom Line

GoDaddy is a web host and domain registrar. It offers affordable introductory rates and some free features in the first year. Many of its features come with extra costs that can add up quickly.

Top Godaddy.com Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy?

Verified

I have been hosting my business site with Godaddy for more than 10 years… I've had to call with questions many times and was very impressed each time that I got a human on the pho...

Verified

...GoDaddy has been amazing. A human is always available -- very short wait times and their tech support goes out of their way to help. I know enough to set up a web page -- but I...

What is GoDaddy?

GoDaddy is a domain registrar and web host that has been around for more than 20 years. It claims a 99.95% uptime, meaning its site interruptions are rare. The company also offers 24/7 support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

With GoDaddy, you can add email and other features to your domain for a fee. Add-ons like daily backups and SSL certificate might cost extra, depending on the plan you choose. Overall, GoDaddy is easy to use, especially for those who aren’t experienced in website building.

GoDaddy hosting plans

GoDaddy offers several hosting packages, but all plans include unmetered bandwidth and free one-click WordPress installation. Here’s a breakdown of the company’s hosting plans:

• Economy: Offers basic resources for those just starting. Includes one website, 100 GB of storage, standard performance and 10 databases.
  • Deluxe: Offers more space and flexibility. Comes with unlimited websites and storage, standard performance and 25 databases.
  • Ultimate: A good choice for heavier-traffic WordPress sites. Includes unlimited websites and storage, increased processing power and unlimited databases.
  • Maximum: Intended for complex sites with high-resolution photo and video. Comes with unlimited websites and storage, increased processing power and unlimited databases.

Each plan also offers a free domain for your first term. The Ultimate and Maximum plans include a free SSL certificate.

GoDaddy pricing

GoDaddy offers introductory promotional prices, but you’ll have to pay the regular price when your account renews. Also, although the prices are listed by month, GoDaddy charges annually. The promotional and standard costs are:

• Economy: $2.99 a month, then $7.99 a month on renewal
  • Deluxe: $4.99 a month, then $10.99 a month on renewal
  • Ultimate: $5.99 a month, then $16.99 a month on renewal
  • Maximum: $12.99 a month, then $24.99 a month on renewal

Once your first term is up, the price for a domain is $17.99. GoDaddy’s email services start at $5.99, and the cost of its website builder ranges from $10 to $25 a month.

Overall, your GoDaddy website might cost around $36 to $160 annually for your first term, but the price will jump to an average of $200 to $350 annually after renewal.

GoDaddy FAQ

What is GoDaddy used for?
GoDaddy is used primarily as a web host. You can also purchase a domain name from the company.
Do I own my domain name with GoDaddy?
When you register a domain name with GoDaddy, you own the name. If you let your registration expire, you lose the domain.
How does GoDaddy work?
You pay GoDaddy to register a user name and/or host your website. When your contract ends, you can choose to renew or let your domain and name expire.
What does GoDaddy do?
GoDaddy hosts millions of websites and associated email addresses. The company is one of the largest domain hosts in the world.
How much does GoDaddy’s web builder cost?
Depending on the plan you choose, GoDaddy’s web builder can cost between $9.99 and $24.99 a month when billed annually.
Is GoDaddy a good host?
It’s one of the largest hosts and is generally reputable. It does, however, charge extra for features other hosts offer free.

Is GoDaddy good?

GoDaddy is one of the most commonly used web hosts and domain registrars in the industry. That said, the company has mixed customer reviews — many don’t appreciate its high renewal fees, and GoDaddy charges extra for several features other hosts offer at no cost. If you’re looking for a web host and domain registrar, make sure to shop around before committing. You could find a company that better suits your needs and your budget.

Godaddy.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Godaddy.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoDaddy?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Absolutely amazing customer service from the Hosting Department with Nathan.... This guy was phenomenal.... I knew nothing about an FTP server, he waited patiently for an exact hour, nine minutes and 29 seconds on a phone call to help me with a successful Thanksgiving presentation for my family.... I demand a promotion for this guy.... Wooooowww, absolutely amazing.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I have been hosting my business site with Godaddy for more than 10 years and I have purchased consulting from them for Search Engine Optimization. I've had to call with questions many times and was very impressed each time that I got a human on the phone who spoke great English, was friendly and understood exactly what the problem was. Occasionally I had to be transferred to someone else but the quality of the service and the courtesy were always top notch. When I hired them for SEO services Godaddy registered my websites with dozens of directories and improved the keywords to get more hits. Once I even got a refund because they could not do what I wanted done. No hassles, immediate refund. I just wish all the other companies I deal with were that professional, that prompt and that honest.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2021

I spent weeks working on a site on GoDaddy. I was almost done and a key page disappeared. Navigation by scrolling through the pages stopped working. I called customer service. After holding for over 10 minutes, he tried to sell me a package and then said he'd email instructions and hung up. The email didn't even mention navigation options. Upon further research I learned that the first year is cheap but then they price gouge you. Save yourself so much time, money and aggravation and look elsewhere.

Resolution response: May 12, 2021

Finally today they called me and apologize for the miscommunication from their behalf, actually the caller today was awesome and very helpful and really followed up with my problem.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Stay away! I've purchased a com.cn domain from Godaddy on 29 April. They asked for documents, I provided them, the message read "domain ready at 6 May". Since then, whenever I logged in I get asked for the same documentation. When I click to upload again I get an error message and prompt to contact support. No ticket system! You have to call them. They put you on hold to research the issue. Takes forever. Sent you an email. You respond and they never follow back. You have to call them again. I have already done this 3 times. Really gives you the impression that these guys on customer support really don't care about you or your business.

Original review: April 25, 2021

On April 16, 2021, our hosting company, GoDaddy, decided to suspend our website. They sent me an e-mail a week earlier saying a folder on the site was violating their network policy, but they didn't say what policy I was violating. The e-mail was sent to a "spam collector" e-mail that I rarely check. When I called them about this issue, the customer service rep told me that they did an automated scan and found that we had zip files on the site, and he said zip files aren't allowed with my current hosting plan!

I said we've been hosting with them since 2008 and that we've always had zip files- it's how we sell products to our customers! But the customer service rep was like, that's what the scan found, so you need to delete the zip files to get the site restored. I said I need the zip files because I sell products and he was still like, that's the only way to restore the site. He couldn't say why they ran the scan now, or why we're suddenly not allowed to have zip files on my site.

I asked if there were any other options and was like, delete the zip files or your site stays down... which wasn't helpful at all! Then I had to ask if I could upgrade to a hosting plan that does allow zip files and he said that's an option, but again, I was the one who has to ask for it- he didn't offer it as an alternative. This requires a migration of the site and database, which could take up to 18 days.

He also said he'd put in a request to get the site up and running again since migrating to an upgraded plan will stop their scan. But that could take "up to 12 hours" but he didn't know when exactly it would be up again. He also promised that the existing site would not be affected since I agreed to pay for the upgraded service and to pay for the migration.

When I checked the site the next morning, after 12 hours, it was still down. I called GoDaddy's security department, talked to "Steve" and he said he'd check with their network violations team (the department that shut down our site). I was on hold for about 10 minutes, then he came back and said the site was now restored. I checked the site to verify, and he was correct. It seems like the first guy that I talked to never put in the request to restore our site!

Steve also gave me a few more details: he said the actual issue may be that we have too many zip files in one folder, but since he doesn't what the limit is, he couldn't tell me which zip file triggered their scan. And he couldn't explain why the first guy said they don't allow zip files. He also said that our website was on the co-hosted plan and they don't want any one customer using too much storage space. Yet when I checked my account settings, it said I had "unlimited storage space" and "unlimited traffic". So why am I being punished for using too much space?

Then the following week, one of our customers purchased a product and reported they didn't receive the product zip file. I checked the server and it seems that GoDaddy went back on their promise of not deleting any files until after our migration was complete! They actually DID delete all of the product zip files! Unfortunately, as I told them numerous times, this affects customers' purchases! AND I never received any notification that they would be deleting these files.

I called them yet again and explained that I paid for an upgraded hosting plan, I paid for a migration, and I was told they'd leave the product zip files alone. This tech was very helpful, but he said the "network violations" department was closed on the weekend, so he couldn't get permission from them to restore the product zip files. He then tried some other ideas, including talking to the hosting department and the Managed Services department. After talking to him for about 2 1/2 hours, it turned out that he was able to restore the product zip files from a backup earlier last week.

I then manually deleted a lot of older products so my total number of zip files falls below their (still unknown) limit. So the bottom line is: If you're an online business selling digital products, you can not have X number of product zip files. It seems no one knows what "X" is, but they'll delete all of your files, even if you agree to their terms and pay to upgrade your hosting plan.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I have hosting with them and just noticed a $360 charge on my credit card when I was going through my bills, I called and they said it was for web hosting and was renewed for 3 YEARS, I asked what could be done and heard the rep typing in the background to his manager that gave a number of options, monthly, annually etc, then I said go to monthly. He says they cant refund as it's longer than 30 days, I just got my credit card, nothing they could do, no care for the customer, they absolutely suck and just grab your money.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I was using these people since, 2015 and was handling 3-4 online platform businesses, with a different domain, hosting, SSL, backup. 7 days ago I got an email from the Godaddy crime team. Stating there is some malicious activity on 1 website and hosting is suspended currently. Instantly I got an email, all products were deleted and my account is locked. These people locked my hostings, took all my domains. Contacted phone support, They said the only way is to communicate via email hostsec@godaddy.com. I contacted them many times. They not telling me a proper reason for doing this. I requested my domain transfer code. So that I can use my domains with other company. They ignored my emails.

They have a right to take your domains from you anytime by sending you an email, They ruined my business and business reputation. Now in the process of legal action against this company. I don't want anyone to face this situation. Therefore I am informing everyone. Beware of this company. Never start your business with this company. They can let you down anytime.

Original review: April 7, 2021

First, GoDaddy completed SEO work on my behalf. However, because they failed to gather all of the appropriate information and neglected to inform me of their strategy, their work was in error and nearly useless. When I complained, they stated that they would only help if I purchased additional services. This was clearly stated on numerous occasions. This is extortion.

Now, as I attempt to move my website to WordPress, they have completely taken down my site. On my accounts page, there are several different charges for different features. Now that my site has been completely removed, I am being told that what was described as just an editing tool is really the entire site itself. They refused to return my site for even a short period of time and also refused to refund the charges I just paid. Their business practices are disgusting at best and maliciously misleading at worst. They have no interest in abiding by information initially provided and only care about the amount of additional dollars they can extract from small business owners.

Original review: March 26, 2021

GoDaddy Review. Buyer beware. I started my own business and for first year I purchased GoDaddy’s one year service agreement to have them create my website. I spent over $5,000 for this service. After we got the website like I wanted it, I told them I no longer need to pay for their maintenance of the site. I expected that the website would remain as is and if I needed changes, I would pay them fee for service. I checked it one time after I cancelled that service and did not look at it again for several months. When I did finally look, it was gone. I called them and they said they deleted it. They also said they would not restore it. I’m not one to post negative comments about a company, but this was expensive and time consuming and I feel like they just flat stole money and time from me. My website was very basic, and it would not take them long to recreate to keep me happy. But they refused. Sincerely, Renee **, CPA Hospice Financial Consultants

Original review: March 23, 2021

I'm giving 1 star because less than that it is not available. Poor technical support. Basic things they don't know. They always speak the same and forcibly apply to customers. After getting fed up u have to google and solve it. I have raised a cheque request 2 months back of approx 2 lakh but still I haven't received the same. They are not replying of my mails. Stupid revert on social media and so their legal team.

Original review: March 18, 2021

We have got a charge from Godaddy back in November. I called them and the billing was incorrect and a refund was due. Now it is March and over 50 hours of my wasted time and countless calls and lies that they give each time that I call. We just want our money back.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Go Daddy claims to LOVE helping their customers with PROBLEMS (and of course selling them lots of products), or that is what the phone recording says, but that is far from reality. Tech support with this company is awful, terribly condescending, and ineffective....It's easier to Google a problem than deal with them, unless you like to be talked down to from snarky tech Tier One types or you are just a natural masochist.... You may want to have your IT department deal with them. (If you don't have such a department, good luck!!)

Godaddy.com Company Information