2.8/5 (490 ratings)

About Register.com

Register.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

Original review: July 24, 2022

I have used Register for a long time, 2 decades, but they are unreliable, do not issue refunds, and have the worst tech support I have encountered in my life (I say this with extreme measure). This company is a corporation who has hired script readers in other countries to do tech support and or maybe escalate cases, with customers waits from 5 days - 2 months.

My e-mails topped working in early June. I called them and they said they switched servers and many are having this problem - evidently, my mailbox disappeared.
Since then I have spent 10 They hours on the phone, multiple days waiting to speak to reps.
1. Reps do not speak to each other to pass on info.
2. Despite escalating my case 3 times the problems were not fixed.
3. During different calls different reps said different things.
4. The reps put you on hold in silence for 10 - 20 minutes or more only then to say they have to escalate the case.

5. After escalating a case you won't hear anything for sometimes 4 days.

In my case despite making sure DNS records and MX records are correct I still have an e-mail. The stoppage came after no prompt on my side. WORST THING IS - NO REFUNDS, despite no e-mail for 2 months and counting. They say they do not issue refunds. So I am paying for -email that is not working. When e-mail works with them it works well (pop or IMAP or webmail), but when it breaks it REALLY GOES WRONG and it is not possible to really fix - worst customer service ever - I would compare it to Verizon broadband in 1995. I am tech savvy and even I cried many tears. It is beyond fathomable that they are even allowed to do business.

The techs are all from other countries and read scripts. They are not able to relate at all and do not care or apologize. They are live robots. It's very sad what this world has come to where corporations can just treat you like dirt while taking your money while you are getting no service at all. This is a prime example of a web business that has lost its way. I am a professor and artist and respectable human, stay away people stay away!

Original review: April 18, 2022

I have had the same domain name for business (a portfolio site) for over 20 years. I just discovered my site wasn't working. Long story short, it was because my domain name was sold out from under me. They claimed to have reached out, but I never got an email as I switched emails. They could have sent a snail mail or phoned me. After 20 years, you'd think they would have been suspect of someone buying my domain out from under me. It is now going to cost me thousands of dollars to create an entire new site, new business cards that promoted this site, and so much more. Be careful and keep on top of them.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Register.com is one of those companies that lures you in with discounted initial pricing and hides the recurring costs. Their services are OK. It's their treatment of the customer which is deplorable. I finally transferred my domain out after they planned to charge me $43/year to maintain it. Once the transfer was complete, they retained my credit card and had it attached to auto-renew services. After an hour on the phone, they have deleted my card from their system. I have no patience for companies that focus more on making it hard to leave rather than giving me a reason to stay. Please don't reward this terrible organization.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

To say I am frustrated with this company does not even begin to tell the story. I had a website with them which they deleted after I spent hours on the phone with them and the phone reps just lied about what was going to happen. I finally switched my domain name to Squarespace and decided to keep my e-mail with Register.com, what a mistake, Again lies, incompetence and never an apology or an attempt to make things right. The management must be hiding somewhere because they just put incompetent reps on the phone who I sometimes feel sorry for, They are poorly trained but they are also taught to just say whatever comes to mind to get rid of you.

Twice I was given new DNS codes for my email so it would work with squarespace and each time the rep would say "Yes this will take care of everything" and then I call back and hear "Oh no that was wrong, here is the correct information" again it was incorrect, yet they say "Oh yes this will fix the problem." They sound friendly and all but in the end you get off the phone and you find out they have just fabricated everything they told you, I just don't get how this company can still be in business. If you have a business that relies on your website and e-mail please do not use them, you will be putting your business in danger.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I am unable to get my SSL hosting issue solved. Called three times and after waiting almost an hour each time was told to wait anther 24 hours or whatever they did (and told to wait 24 hours) did not work. Meanwhile my site gives and security error message when navigating to it.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

This is the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with. Forever hold times, service agents who don't know what they are doing, ignoring requests, setting up impossible rules and guidelines. They started services for me that I did not request or use, then when I tried to cancel and get a refund, they did not really cancel and kept billing me. And then said that because it was not cancelled, they would not give a refund. Read their reviews on all the different review sites. They all agree. This company is horrible and a dishonest rip-off. Giving one-star is far too generous.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I called their customer support a dozen times and their technical support couldn't provide clear direction. They were even rude! I had to fight to get my money back. Don't use them and go with GoDaddy or someone else instead.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

The worst company, they have locked my account for the 3rd time. Each time I go to move my account they lock my domain and hold it hostage. They do it for 60 days. When you go back to move they do again. Criminal at best. ICANN and Web.com all in bed together. They lie.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

A domain renewal was set to 'auto-renew' in error. When it was auto charged to my card I tried to get a refund as this is an old company no longer in existence. They refused because it was 37 days past the charge date and their policy is 30 days. It took 37 days because it took me 7 days past the billing cycle to get the credit card bill - thanks to the slow postal service. The charge was made on the FIRST day of the new billing cycle. Tried multiple times to get customer service to work with me but they refused. It was a 3 YEAR RENEWAL so it was a substantial amount. I've been a customer for over 30 years for multiple domains so I was outraged they would not consider a refund.

Original review: May 19, 2021

They advertise domain transfers for $10 which includes a year, plus another extended year for free. Then it is supposed to renew at the current price upon expiration. In fact, they added the two years, but then charged me an additional $15 immediately for a total of $25. It's a misleading scam. A long phone call achieved nothing. Also, they charge $1 for privacy on the listing which had been free at GoDaddy.

Register.com Company Information