Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.87/5

Register.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

I have been a Register customer for more than 15 years. I have 3 separate accounts with dozens of URLS registered in those accounts. Almost 3 months ago, I was UNEXPECTEDLY unable to login to one of my 3 accounts (the one with the most URLS). I tried changing passwords, etc., then finally called Customer service. After an hour on the line, they sent me a link to change the PW and hung up. The link worked, but upon changing my PW and clicking "Submit," I got an "ERROR" message saying to call Customer Service. So I did that and repeated the process in its entirety. Then I got busy and put off getting this resolved, until a couple of months passed and then I started getting a bunch of Renewal notices, for URLS I did not want to renew. SO, I called Customer Service AGAIN and went through the entire process AGAIN, pointing out that this was costing me fees.

Customer Service offered to handle the renewals for me by phone, but I pointed out that I didn't want to renew, I wanted TO HAVE ACCES TO MY OWN ACCOUNT. So once again, the same conversation with a new Customer Service rep, followed by a guarantee that the issue would be resolved by others in customer service (after the current call), and that I would be contacted within 48 hours. Within an hour, I get an email saying that Customer Service cannot help me because they cannot "Locate" my account. This is of course ridiculous, because each Customer Service Rep could SEE my account and was willing to let me renew my domain(s) over the phone, but no one could give me access to my own account.

So, to make a longer story short(er), I have now had 7 calls with Customer Service, over a period of almost 3 months. 4 of these calls have been in the past 2 weeks. The process is ALWAYS the same. Nice CS rep on the phone, I explain what happened every other time (to save time, which it doesn't), I provide the previous Customer Service 'ticket numbers' for my previous calls. Then they send me a link to create a new PW, then that leads to the same "ERROR" message. And so on and so forth.

Today (I STILL don't), I started my Customer Service call by asking for a Supervisor (as I was told to do by my last Customer Service Rep). Then I informed this initial CS person that if the issue is not resolved today, I am filing a complaint with my state Attorney General's office Fraud Division. I cannot think of another way to proceed at this time. Once I DO get access to my account (I am still holding out reasonable hope that this will happen at some point soon), I plan on moving ALL of my URLs to another domain service. However, based on the reviews I am reading here, that will probably be a big hassle as well. This company should be shut down by the Attorney General's office, IMHO. They have highjacked my URLs, my account, and nothing seems to get their attention. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!!! FRAUD...

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I've owned valuable (3 letter, one word, etc.) domain names thru Register.com since 1999. I used to call to renew, but tired of the sales pitches to renew at higher prices and for services I didn't need. (Calling them is a nightmare, trust me). I was thrilled when I found promo code AuthReq10 (1 year, $10 renewal) online and it worked. Then, about two years ago, I began to received high offers for some of my domain names vis email, with Register.com (Web.com) getting copies of these offers, as well, as the registrar. SUDDENLY the promo code for $10 renewal no longer worked.

HERE IS THE COMPLAINT: I called and was told the $10 promo code AuthReq10 no longer was valid - a LIE. I checked by having a relative renew and use the code on their name/account, and it worked. After weeks of calls and complaints - including one to ConsumerAffairs, I was allowed to use the code. It worked for about 5 months, now I AM BEING BANNED AGAIN. I have tried other discount renewal codes, as well - NONE WORK.

I contacted Register.com via the web, and requested WRITTEN TERMS AND CONDITIONS for promo code AuthReq10, and was refused the written terms and conditions, and over and over told to CALL. Of course, they can LIE on the phone as they did last year. This HAS to be illegal. I am making complaints to other parties, including Komando, Icann, etc., but would APPRECIATE it if you would look into this.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

You can't make changes on the website like you could 5 years ago. You have to call to do anything except to sign-up for a new service. To make any changes you have to call and it is always the wrong department unless of course you are adding a service! I was on hold today for three and a half hours. Yesterday was a measly ninety minutes. Still nothing done. All I have done is talk to the wrong department! I think I may just do it at a different company which I would suggest you do. Run as fast as you can!

Original review: July 30, 2020

I have had my domain registered with them for about 15 years. Their web based email runs as if still in the 20c. They seem to have crashed today but don’t bother to inform customer. Why do I stay with them - read the other reviews and you will see how hard it is to transfer.

Original review: May 27, 2020

The worst company I have ever dealt with, total morons. The site is always down. The tech support is the worst ever. I cannot update the DNS. They won't let me move my domains. They keep charging my card for no reason. GRRR!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: May 22, 2020

Register.com account management and customer service sucks. There is no way you can initiate a transfer or get EPP. The client needs to contact them and wait endlessly to hit a wall. If you want to change account holder there is no warning that this will put an automatic 60 days lock on the domain.

Original review: March 6, 2020

They are trying to prevent me from transferring domain out. They claim they cannot verify that it's me that wants to transfer the domain. But I authenticated with a password, responding to email, using a phone on my account, and providing credit card details. Complete jerks. I spent 6 hours on this today and it's not done and I have no commitment from them that they will allow it.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Purchased domain name and email services on 2/28/2020. Attempted to activate my email and build my website, but could not access "Manage Account". Called a variety of customer service numbers listed, on hold for 2+ hours on Fri afternoon. No answer. Called Sat and got "we are closed" message though they claim to have Sat and Sun customer service hours. Called Mon and got "we are experiencing high volume of calls". Took my money and failed to provide services. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

The past 4 times I have called regarding the same subject, I have gotten 3 different answers, and the minimum I had to wait was 24 minutes upwards to 36 minutes. If we didnt have so many domains with them, I'd go somewhere else. Check out Hostgator or Dreamhost if I were you, even GoDaddy.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Been a customer for years and while not stellar service it was good enough. Went to order a new domain name today and placed the order including their Private Domain Registration which masks your info when people look up the Domain name. The web page just went back to my Control Panel page after placing the order but the new Domain name wasn't listed. I also didn't get a email receipt. Just for fun I did a who is and the new domain was listed with my private info showing. Exactly what I DID NOT WANT. Called support and she basically said maybe if I wait it will mask itself. Grrr.

Waited an hour. Received 3 calls from the automated IRS system telling me that unless I call them back they were going to shut off my SS# or something.. Coincidence? Nope. Also during that time my main email address started filling up with spam.. Called support back and DEMANDED that they cancel the account if that's what it took to get my private info off the net. The new rep hemmed and hawed but finally got my info masked. A day late and a dollar short. Future will only tell how many people grabbed my email and phone number before that.

So basically, Register.com did the exact OPPOSITE of what I paid them to do, compromising my email address, physical address, and phone number all while not caring about any of them and hoping for the best without actually doing anything. I will never use them again and will be transferring all my current domain names asap.

Register.com Company Information