1.08/5
Based on 133 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

146 Register.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2018

I have been with Register.com for over 10 years. A year ago I phoned to check my renewal date and to inform them of my new renewal email address. A year later they sent my renewal reminder to my old defunct address. Then they closed down my web hosting and email facility. It took £100 worth of phone calls to Canada. Plus $50 to reinstate my website and $25 to reinstate my email address. On top of my renewal fees. The very nice man at Register accepted it was their mistake and they had my previous phone call logged, but I still had to pay up. I complain by email to Register.com. They have completely ignored me. I wish I had read their long list of negative reviews before. I'm now stuck with them for the next 2 years.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I register a domain with these people and two days later they're cold calling me trying to sell me web design services, asking me what I want to do with my domain as if that's any of their business. They use ridiculous pressure tactics to try to sell 'domain privacy' too -- take your business elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Do not trust this company with registering your domain name. If there is a problem with an automatic renewal, they let the name expire. They send one email, which in my case went to junk. They claim to make auto calls, which I did not receive and have no recorded messages. A name I had for over 15 years they now want to resell back to me for $49,450. Avoid this company like the plague.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I registered my domain with Register.com in 2015, no other features, just the domain, but a year later at renewal time my annual fee tripled. When I called to ask why of course they explained it is due to all the extra features which I had clearly not selected. They corrected the unauthorized transaction and while I was on the phone with customer service, I realized that I had misspelled one of my 2 domains, so I cancelled it, explained to the rep that I would be adding a new domain, she said, "No problem." Then this past December I received a renewal notice for January, again I logged into my account to review my fees and noticed that the misspelled cancelled domain had been added as a "renewal". CSR tried to explain that the cancelled domain was still active because I failed to cancel the mail box service to that domain, which of course didn't exist because I only purchased "domains", no other services.

Gladly, before the January 2018 renewal date, the cancelled domain was finally removed from my account without further incident. Then this morning, March 31st 2018 I received a receipt for $39.99 with a message "thank you for your order"??? So I called the Register.com billing department which is conveniently closed on the weekends. My domain renewal was paid in January, for the two and only domains I need, and yet my credit card has been charged for "what" I don't know. So, Monday morning I'm going to cancel all services with Register.com. The use of my domains will not be a problem because I can simply change from .com to something else, and my domain is 100% unique to me, so it will never be sought by other users anyway. Register.com and all its affiliates should be shut down permanently.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Every time I contact technical support the technicians spend more time trying to convince me there is no problem, than they do trying to find and fix the problem. They constantly try to convince me that my changes just needs time to update. Their favorite answer is "Give it 2 hours or so and it will be fine". Well let me tell you something, 1995 called, and they want that answer back. DNS servers today propagate within seconds. These people are so frustrating. I want to bang my head on the wall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased a domain name for $16.00. It was to be a 1 time purchase with option for annual renewal. Charges for $5.99 have been showing up irregularly on my bank account. They are charging me and there is no representation of what that charge would be in my "Account Manager" control panel. Register.com is stealing from me without my knowledge. I also noticed that they have "suspended" my domain name registration, even though all of my account information is correct.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We live in a world that everything through the internet is nearly instantaneous. If you are purchasing something through Register.com you can do it immediately and they will take your money immediately. However when you need an authorization code to move your domain from their company, it's a 3 to 4 day wait for it to be sent to you... WHAT! They jerk you around every chance they can. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I logged into their website to renew my domain name, and upon clicking on existing domains, their website shows a lower price than what is listed when you go to the checkout cart to renew. The agent on the telephone was very rude and did not let me talk by constantly talking over me. He claims that the price I was looking at on their website was too low a price, and refused to give the advertised price on their website.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Customer service is terrible. I requested a authorization code to transfer my domain name and they sent it a week later - when the renewal expired. They now want me to renew it for $36 and pay the reinstatement fee of $30 - before I can transfer it out!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

It took me a while to just get a simple responses from them. I had to transfer the business account email because it was register under our IT subcontractor email. They keep telling me to login in my old account to update the new one while I can't access the old one. They are really **.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

About 7 years ago, I registered 3 domain names with this company. Two of them are good nice names that had something to do with my business (extreme example to show what I mean: pets.com) and one peculiar to my company name (so that I don't get pushed around by businesses with greater resources. Again, an extreme example to show what I mean: mindyourownbus.com).

The meaningful ones got expired and taken away from me without a whimper. But for the peculiar one that no one would want, I got endless renewal notices to renew. I have stopped my business and no longer needed the domain name. So I checked with my credit card company and was assured that they cannot charge the renewal because the expiry date on Register.com's record should be obsolete since it is so many years ago.

Unfortunately, somehow, Register.com managed to get a charge through. I am in Singapore, with a 12 hours time zone difference, and no toll-free calls (their toll free works only within the US). So, it is very painful to have long telephone conversations with service support trying to get the charge stopped. In the end, to avoid this experience next year, I had to cancel my credit card and get a new one. So, lesson learned - this company operates like a scam. Be really careful when you give them your credit card number!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Today 05.08.2017. Since now more than 2 days our website is offline, we have send several e-mails without reply, we made 2 telephone calls and had to be called back, but no reply. I am very disappointed about their service, I am client since more than 10 years, was always satisfied, but not anymore. Our domain name was registered the very first time with register.com, since the begin all renews made through them.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I subscribed to the Domain Registry service domain.com on 8/2/17. Starting 8:00 am on 8/4/17, the spam phone calls started coming non-stop, impacting my ability to do my job and I fear - going forward - even to sleep. They want a monthly fee to stop the phone calls. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE; IT WILL IMPACT YOUR LIFE IN WAYS THAT GO BEYOND A BAD PRODUCT!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This company will take your site down even though you are paid in full and not even give you a courtesy call to let you know. The support rep I spoke to was a curt smart A*S who just kept talking over me instead of hearing me out.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I had an account with them from 2014 until 2017. I did not have an automatic renewal and had to call up every year in order to renew - I try very hard to avoid automatic renewals. In fact two years ago I did not call up and my website went down; when I called and paid then they renewed it, which shows that I did not have an automatic renewal. I called in Jan. 2017 and notified them that I was migrating to SquareSpace. In Feb. my card was charged $38.00 and $14.00, and they did not send me notification that they had charged the card. It was a card I generally don't use and don't check, so I didn't know about it for a couple of months until I got a late notice from the credit card company.

When I called Register.com they told me I was on automatic renewal. When I asked for proof that I had signed on to that, they said it was in the service agreement document (many, many pages long). When I asked where exactly, the testy customer service woman said, "Well I don't know! It's been a long time since I read that!" This place is dishonest. Don't use them.

Original review: May 16, 2017

This is the WORST COMPANY! The level of customer service is 0! My credit card changed, so I called and added the new CC, so my service would not be interrupted. 2 weeks later they took down my email for my entire co. (12 email address) and my website. For nonpayment. I never received an email, I never received a notice of any kind. I knew that this could be a problem because the level 2 team are the biggest bunch of Jerks in the history of websites.

If you live on the West Coast NEVER use this company because at 1 pm Pacific Time they close! They are in Canada and don't give a care about you, your business or your website. I paid the Web.com (Register.com is owned by web.com) $200 per month and register.com $114 per month. They are far and away the worst! When it comes to Web.com and register.com JUST DON'T DO IT! To try and make it up to me the web.com rep deleted my entire account and re-stated it. So I lost ALL of my emails that I was storing via imap. So 8 years of information for 13 emails gone! So if you want to be frustrated for the entirety of your online life and then lose everything hire them. These people gave me cancer!

Original review: May 14, 2017

I have used Register.com service since Feb 2000. In the last 17 years that I have been with them, they have failed me repeatedly. Their service standards have not improved all these years. One thing that frustrates me frequently is their customer service level. They make it very difficult for me to cancel their service. They put me on auto (Safe Renew) without my permission. And to disable the safe renew, I have to call them. But because I am in Singapore, the toll free number does not work. So there is no way to call them except to email them. But when I email them, I don't get a reply from them. So I am at their mercy and I am left stuck with a service that I don't need.

I also could not delete my credit card info from my "Manage account" section. So the last resort is to cancel my credit card to prevent them from billing me again. But doing this will upset many of my existing billing arrangements. Register.com has caused their customer so much pain. Sometimes I wonder why they are still in business? Another pain in the neck is their user unfriendly website. I have been with them for 17 years and I am still trying to understand the way they design their site. It is so counter-intuitive. It is so difficult to get things done on your own in their site.

I switched over to GoDaddy this year. Doing business with GoDaddy is such a pleasant experience. It is like going from hell into heaven! GoDaddy customer service is first class. They provide 24/7 customer service. You call them and within 5 mins you will be talking to a customer service officer who will be able to assist you with anything from technical support, product information, billings, complains. With GoDaddy, I have complete peace of mind. For the record, I am not paid by GoDaddy. I am just a disgruntled customer of Register.com and a satisfied customer of GoDaddy. It's a whole new experience with GoDaddy. Register.com has too much to catch up. Good luck.

Original review: May 2, 2017

As you can see from this string of reviews, this company is NOT to be trusted. I'm a small business owner trying to set up my website, emails, etc, and wish I could rate Register.com with zero of five stars after their horrific customer service. Register.com provides the typical archaic customer service you'd expect Circa 1994, with an ethos of apologizing profusely while providing zero service. When I asked for an email address with only a single character (Ex: b@register.com), they told me their top engineers don't know how to do this. When I asked to transfer the hosting, as all other web hosting services allow single character email addresses, not only did they erroneously place a 60-day hold on my account (I'm unable to transfer to another hosting site), but they refuse to offer any help in lifting said hold.

I've already printed business cards with my requested email address, and though being aware of this, are offering no work around to accommodate their antiquated rules. They make it crystal clear they don't care about their customers' requests, and for this reason I refuse to pay them my hard-earned money. There are plenty of superior options out there, and for that reason I hope potential customers will steer clear of Register.com and instead pay for a service who actually care for and work with their customer base. It's 2017 and their engineers can't create an email with a single character? Based on this rudimentary request, I can't imagine what happens when deeper issues appear. Go elsewhere for your hosting; these people have wasted hours and hours of my life so you won't have to.

Original review: April 5, 2017

Please do not use this service. They have been nothing but terrible. They don't send receipts when charging your credit card. In addition, whenever I call customer service to get on the notification list, they transfer me to another technical rep and/or account billing who never picks up.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Register.com recently took 38.00 out of my bank account without my permission. I gave them my bankcard info over the phone last year when I renewed my web hosting. They under no circumstances had my authorization to take money from my account. I did not sign up for auto renewal. They obviously knew this because when I called and demanded my money back and to cancel the domain, the woman I spoke with tried everything in her power to get away with what she could. She tried charging me an extra 30.00 "relisting fee" for the domain, then she tried to only refund 24.99 of my money. After I demanded that no, you stole 38.00, put 38.00 back in my account she relented. According to her the money should be back in my account by the end of the day tomorrow. We will see. Do not use this service under any circumstances. They will do whatever they can to get your money including just flat stealing it out of your account.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I've been using Register.com for years to register my business website. I renewed it once again for a year, and found out the hard way that they suspended my account when I couldn't send or receive emails and my website suddenly became inactive. When I reached out to register, they informed me that they suspended my account because I failed to respond to an email request to verify my email address - which I never received! So they took the extreme position of suspending service. No phone call, nothing. Then, BAM, my business is completely shut down. I called them and got responses like "sorry, that's our governing bodies rules" and "you didn't answer our email." If I ran my business this way I'd be out of business. DO NOT USE REGISTER.COM. There's too much better competition out there that wouldn't do this to you.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

On Saturday January 28, 2017 we notice we were not receive our company emails. Our company domain account is hosted with Register.com and we add email service. I started calling Register.com and they told us that we redirected the email host?? Level 1 customer service keep telling us we had made the changes? This happen at 8:05 on Monday morning? This was surprise to us since I'm the Administrator on the company account. I was not even out of bed at that time. I told them, "Ok why can't I access our control panel or manage the accounts." They told me they would send us a reset. I never ask which email. Waited, waited then I called back to found out they sent the reset to the account we no longer could access. I told them that in my profile I had other email address not my company email in my profile.

Then they said they were going to verify by calling my phone number. Now this was when things got crazy. They called a disconnect phone number which we had not had for over 4 years. I just could understand why they could not email my alternate email in my profile. I told them that not right its never been my company email for reason just like that happen. I own website for 15 years and never would use my company's email on these accounts. They told me that was not true it was only company email in my profile. It took us over 19 hour later when our IT company came in to access our problem. We never redirect our email to an old server old website host? WHY would we? Please run your own DNS report before calling them.

Then we discovered that REGISTER.COM was hacked and compromised, over 600k of website emails, domain names where changed. Register.com decide to us old Data they had not update or backup their subscribers accounts in over a year? They use a year ago account setting this is why they used our old website and server. I asked who authorized our server being move back to old server not our new website server? We requested the IT address on the changes? They reply it was me.???

Again Register.com was Compromised and Hacked. Their Customer service rep are clueless and put all the blame their subscribers. They have not notify their subscriber base. $$$ This has cost us sales, time, add cost of IT personnel, lots of money because of their error. Then our bank call today since they noticed usually charges pending on our credit cards. Now we're dealing with banks fraud department. We had to closed down checking accounts and cancels credit cards that were in the wallet profile in our account at Register.com. Beware... Please delete and remove all credit cards in your Profile. Next cancels your credit card that were on file in the wallet profile.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I had hired this company to advertise my own website I made and advertise it through google. By searchers clicking on my web link they were able to see my website. I had to pay a monthly payment in order to have my website valid. 2 months later I had to pay additional mandatory fees in order to keep my website announce. I had to pay 250 dollars for 1 full year when they didn't tell me about this before fees that I wasn't really suppose to be paying. Since I didn't pay they had removed my website off the internet search and wanted me to pay more fees. So then I hired another company and now it's going better and very reliable so people BEWARE of this. Company should not be in business and have to disappear definitely.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

A long time ago I used this company. Basically I was charged ridiculous amounts for basic services. I stupidly signed up for some kind of service and was charged multiple times per day for it. Given, the websites actually looked pretty good themselves and the design interface was top-notch, I was disappointed. To cancel the service you actually had to call them. Because I was being charged so much money to my debit card I had my bank cancel the debit card so it could not be charged anymore. Some time later, obviously because they could not charged me anymore, my account was canceled.

They promise cheap rates that go up easily and every little thing could possibly cost you more. They try to get you charged upfront for as much as possible. If you don't un-tick the boxes you are bound to get charged a lot after some time. I don't recommend this to anyone but really rich companies who can afford to pay very high premiums for the services rendered.

On the positive side, the graphics on the websites that I created were good looking, and I thought that it was nice how fast the website creation process worked. You were afforded almost unlimited if not unlimited redirects, which was nice. Overall, I was somewhat satisfied with the experience on this website. I just wish that web hosting with the options I chose did not cost me so much in the end.

If you were a rich person or even someone with a good deal of money this could be honestly and non-sarcastically be the right option for you. The company never lied to me as well, which is a very good thing. The company is honest with you. To get started quickly on a website I would have to say that the interface would be the best in the industry for that purpose.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

Two years in a row they have double-billed me for renewing one website. It has cost me additional funds because my bank charged me for overdrafts due to Register.com's mistakes. This company offers no explanation as to why this happens, just a "We're sorry for the inconvenience." Stay away from Register.com. Renew and host your domain elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

The site constantly says it timed out. It doesn't change anything it's suppose to, i.e. BOLD, TEXT COLOR, simple basic things that should be easy to do. This is by far the worst website building site I have come across. I'm going to talk to the owner of the website I'm building and tell him to take his domain and site to another company. Obviously, he did not research Register.com to see how awful the reviews are on here. Now another bad review. Register.com has a lot of upgrading to do in order to compete with GoDaddy, etc.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

My husband & I are very disappointed with the changes made to the Life section of the daily paper. We have been subscribers for over 30 years. You have removed my favorite word search completely and have made the size of the sudoku puzzle to a very small square which is more difficult to see and work with our older eyes. We are 62 years old. My husband & I used to enjoy sitting, eating breakfast together each morning working our puzzles together. Now I don't really read the paper any longer. My vote is to bring back my word search and make the sudoku puzzle larger again. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

I wanted to transfer the two remaining domains I had with Register.com to my current preferred webhost provider. In the past, you could generate the needed EPP Authorization Codes from your online account at Register.com. Now, you have to call Register.com to ask a rep to email you the codes. When I used the codes Register.com blocked the transfer. I called Register.com again. The rep said it would take 24-48 hours before they could send me the needed codes again so I could try the transfer again. I said, "How about you email them right now and I wait on the phone until the codes come through?" Guess what. The codes came through within a minute.

Now I only hope Register.com doesn't block the transfer again. They appear to have a policy of doing everything they can to stop you from leaving them to a degree that is, in my opinion, unethical. Company behavior like this is why we need government regulation. Something that should take a few mouse clicks made into an annoying afternoon-long back and forth.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

The business was so horrible. I want to warn others to avoid it. I am a member of a Rotary Club. A volunteer got a website for us and administered it. Unfortunately, he died without giving us information about it. No problem, just transfer the administration to another club member, right? Nope, there is absolutely no way to do this at Register.com. They have been jerking me around for week saying "get your club president to send a notarized document." We do that and then they say "tell us what street you grew up on," meaning the dead person. I tell them, "he's dead," then they say, "give us the last four digits of the credit card you used to pay," I say, "he's dead." Then they say, "we can't transfer it, then."

They have to be some of the stupidest people I have ever encountered in my life. The domain name is registered to our club, not to the administrator. Our club should have some control over how the domain is used. I was with Network Solutions for years and never had these kinds of problem. If we can ever get the domain back, I will transfer it away as soon as possible. I can see why they have a one-star rating. You can't go lower.

Original review: July 15, 2016

I have been a loyal website customer for 15 years with Register.com, which was recently bought out by Web.com. I paid thousands of dollars to set up the website and paid $99.00 per month for years for them to make changes they told me only they could make; when in reality I had the option to make the changes myself. I literally paid them $20,000 in having them manage my website when all along I could have been managing the website myself. Even after asking how to reduce my costs, they just lowered my monthly amount but did not give me the option to manage it myself.

When I finally caught on to this fraud and refused to pay any more monthly fees, they froze my website not allowing any changes to be made which has hurt my business immensely. When I tried to work it out with a manager, he doubled down and refused to make any concessions to try to keep me as a customer. THIS IS A TERRIBLE COMPANY! Run away from it! They have the worse customer service I have ever had to deal with in 25 years in business.

Register.com Company Information