3.47/5

166 Register.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

Client for 14 years. Needed to install SSL to WordPress site. My time support installed and rendered site unfixable. No links worked. Was told site too old after they ruined my site. New site, called to get right hosting. They deleted old hosting, deleted my site and signed me up to the wrong package. 48 hours later was told that was wrong package. New package bought. Told it would work within minutes to upload new site. Did not work. Called again. Told would take 2 hours. Did not work. Called to cancel all products and get refund.

They cancelled two and then charged me $2885 for "professional email." Called back. Told supervisor would have to reverse charge that I NEVER authorized. No supervisor ever called or emailed so I took it up with my Visa. Also, in all this I was told I needed to extend email and domain name. I did not. Confirmed by billing. This company is not only shady they are criminal. Steer way clear of them. They are a disaster. Paid my web designer 180/hour times 5 hours to try to make this work. He finally said, "Cut your losses and leave."

Original review: June 30, 2019

Despite my making two phone calls to cancel hosting (there is no option to cancel online) they continued to bill me for hosting. After a third attempt to cancel by chat I was also billed. Customer service was extremely frustrating, long waits to speak with people who were rarely helpful. The “consultant” I spoke to about SEO seemed to lack basic knowledge and had a bizarre and grandiose sense of his own importance. Not worth the amount of aggravation for the low(ish) price.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I wish I could give negative stars, because Register.com is not even worth a single star. Since June 7, 2019, I have been trying to reach Register.com about a domain that is no longer in use and to cancel any and all services for that domain. I tried calling Register.com on Saturday -- Register.com states very clearly their hours of operation for Monday thru Friday, and Saturday and Sunday -- they were supposed to handle calls until 10:00PM on Saturday, and I called at/around 8:30PM. After going through numerous prompts to filter or focus my customer service needs, I get a recorded message that they're closed and call back during business hours (and I DID CALL BETWEEN BUSINESS HOURS!!).

Since the call didn't work out, I filled out their online support form and was given a 'ticket number' and read that it may take 24 to 48 hours for support to get back in touch with me. When I tried to check back about my 'support ticket', there was no 'support ticket' opened. So, once again, I filled out another support form, got a 'ticket number'. It's been over 48 hours and no one has contacted me. I am beyond aggravated and believe that basically I'm out $38.00 for a domain that is no longer in use and hasn't been used for several months.

Register.com allows you sign up for services online, but to cancel, you have to call, and then they NEVER answer. Really, I just think and believe it's a way to screw people over and out of their money -- you know, give the customer the run-around long enough and they'll give up. I will NEVER use Register.com's services again and I certainly will warn everyone to steer clear of doing business with Register.com. Awful customer service. Terrible, nonexistent support. NO communication. Horrible business ethics and practices. Register.com is a 'loophole thief'. Anyone who reads this review, my most sincere advice -- do business with another company and save yourself the headache and frustration of dealing with and losing money to Register.com.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I purchased a domain name and an email address from Register.com for $77.90. The next day I called to purchase a web hosting page. They quoted a price of $199.00 per year as a package that includes both email and domain name. I ask them if they would deduct the money I had already paid because domain and email are included in the Web hosting package. They said they would only deduct the domain address and not the email address. That means a $39.00 loss for me in one day. I am going elsewhere for my Web page. They lost a customer, $199.00 per year, and gained a bad review.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Please consider using any other domain name registry. This company's entire marketing model is built on constantly spamming customers in an effort to sell more products. Even after requesting all marketing emails stop by unsubscribing, I continued to get sales messages. Recently, I overlooked an actually important email. I assumed it was more spam. It notified me that my domain name would be suspended if I did not verify my email address. Today, my entire business went down because the domain name was suspended. So, I finally acted on my intent to transfer a different domain to AWS. After speaking to customer service, I was given an authorization code. I provided the code to AWS with a request to transfer the domain name. Several hours later, REGISTER.COM sent an email advising that the transfer request was denied because they were "Unable to Verify Registrant Identity ".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Billings are an issue with Register.com. This company does not have a complaints division/representative or any communications channel for such; does not have any email communications with the billings team; does not have access to an (My) account for past billings and a customer has to actually ask for nonrenewal of redundant domain name.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have a domain on Register.com and I want to transfer it to another registrar, but register.com refuses to cancel private registration of that domain and it's not possible to transfer domain without private registration turned off. There's no way on website to do it, so I called their support and asked to cancel private registration. They said that they cancelled it, but they did not do it. I called second time and asked to cancel it again and they again said that they will do it, but they again lied to me. After that I created a support ticket explaining situation and asked to cancel private registration again, and after several minutes they deleted my support ticket without any notification. This company is committing crime by not giving me right to transfer my domain away from them. My domain is held hostage by them! Never do any business with this company. They are criminals!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have domain names registered with this company. I decided to change holders and consolidate my accounts with a different company. I have been trying to get authorization codes to move my domains for over a month now. They ignore my requests and tickets. I called their '24/7' helpline only to be told that department is closed!? My domains have now expired and God only knows if I'll ever get them back. Also, their renewal rates are more than twice as much as anyone else. Don't get tricked into signing up with a cheap first time offer. You'll live to regret it! In no way, shape or form should anyone use this company...

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I am a register customer for over ten year now. I am paying USD38 a year (!!!) for a simple .com address; no other services. Just got an email that they will increase the pricing again next time I renew. To USD39.99. It is just a joke. So, besides that fact, I wanted to start domain transfer to my other registrar where all of my other domains are collected. Trying to get the process going with Register ("Obtain Auth Info Code ") to transfer my domain, the system said the will send me manually (!) a code by email within 3-4 days. Of course the email never arrived...

So I created a first support ticket today, asking for help. And who knows, a few minutes later, the system stated that I do not have any support ticket. Thanks God. I made a screenshot. Setting up a second ticket stating the troubles with ticket one. Sent. Screenshot. A few minutes later also this ticket vanished. I have no idea what is going on with Register. But besides their non-competitive pricing, their processes are absolutely against customers and their support seems (deliberately) to be absent. WORST online (sic!) company ever... Don't get trapped there. You never get out again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Terrible company, should have a zero star rating. I registered a domain for $1 per month, just got my first monthly bill of $30.93, they added on extra services I never signed up for. No option to cancel anything on website, I have to call to cancel. Sales phone rep answered in 10 seconds, transferred me to billing, was on hold for 8 minutes until a recording said my estimated hold would be another 10 minutes and I hung up. This company is obviously going under and they're trying to scam customers out of as much money as possible with their cash flow crisis. STAY AWAY FROM Register.com!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I manage 100s of Wordpress sites and have one that is hosted at Register.com. I've been requesting them to upgrade to the Wordpress.org versions of both PHP and MySQL and they absolutely refuse to do it. Our site is super slow on their servers and it is hugely problematic. This morning I tried to update a plugin and got a 504 Gateway timeout (i.e., their server crashed). My site was down for 10 minutes. When it came back up the site was broken with multiple errors caused by their server crashing during the update. When I called, I spent 10 minutes on hold. When they answered, their customer service rep was rude, belligerent and refused to help me. I ended up hanging up on them and had to troubleshoot the issue myself. The issue is with their antiquated servers malfunctioning. I called them for help to document the issue. Avoid Register.com if you can.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Had an email from Register.com. "You are receiving this communication because you registered one or more domain names through one of our official Register.com resellers. Register.com provides support and services to companies that sell and/or provide domain name registrations through a partner program. Domain names registered through these partner companies are listed in our database and managed by the partner companies.

Register.com is accredited by ICANN, the non-profit corporation who oversees the domain name registration system. A policy established by ICANN requires that all registrars contact each customer and request them to verify the accuracy of their WHOIS information. (WHOIS is a publicly accessed database containing contact information associated with every domain name registration.) To comply with the policy, we request that you confirm the accuracy of your WHOIS contact information. Please note: ICANN states that inaccurate or out-of-date contact information in your WHOIS listing may be grounds for domain name cancellation.

Reviewing Your Domain Name Information

Please take a moment to view the WHOIS listing for each of the domain names you currently have registered through us. Please verify your mailing address, email address, and the administrative and technical contacts assigned to each domain name are correct. If your WHOIS information has changed or is inaccurate please log into your account manager and update accordingly. If your WHOIS information is correct, you do not need to take any action. Thank you for your attention to this matter."

I have never heard of Register.com, and all my business was done through my web providers. I have looked on the site and when I search for my domain nothing comes up apart from a checkbox asking me to verify that I am not a robot. What is this all about?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I had a domain name registration with Register.com for a few years. But I've changed my business and was not interested in that domain anymore. So, I chose to not renew it. For my surprise, I was charged in my credit card for the renewing, months before its expiration date. I contact them, and they said they would cancel the renovation and credit my credit card. However, that didn't happen. I contacted them again, same answer. I have to pay my credit card bill with the renewing tax, but I called the credit card company and complained that I didn't have authorized that purchase.

After that, Register.com immediately canceled the domain, even if I had yet 3 months left to used it, after all, I PAID for that 1 year ago. To make things worse, they sent my an email saying that all my rights with them was terminated, because I charged back. Hopefully, I really don´t want to do business with them anymore. A company that charges the credit card of its customers without permission is not worth of having loyal customer as I was during 10 years. Take care of doing business with Register.com, they are avid to charge your credit card.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Like other reviewers, I bought my domain from Register.com years ago when they were well-reviewed and moderately priced. I will NOT be renewing!!! They have removed the basic functions that allow you to edit your domain or manage your account AT ALL. It literally is a broken link with no recourse or alternative method available. The only section that they have maintained is the cart, and the renewal page. Obviously they only want you to keep paying them, and have no intention of providing any services at all for that money.

Again, the service I want is really, really basic: a simple 301 redirect or htaccess edit to allow my Weebly website to be viewed when you type in the domain without typing "www." first. This is standard and I was able to manage this on Register.com for years. SUDDENLY, without any warning, this went away; the webpage now shows up as broken (This site can't be reached, Server IP address not found) if a customer forgets to type in the "www." at the front of the address. I can't fix it through Register.com anymore because they haven't repaired their "manage" page. The service is literally just gone and I have no recourse except to wait for my domain with them to expire, and switch to some other company. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SHADY, FRAUDULENT COMPANY. They are now a scam that will not provide you with the service you paid for.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Is Register.com so tight up for money that they have to do everything possible to block transfers of domain names to alternative registration services. Sure looks like that to me. I have been trying literally for months to transfer a domain name away from Register and I continually hit roadblocks. I am now only one month away from the expiration and if they do not release it shortly I will be forced to renew with them for one year - and I started this process in August! Shame on them.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Have owned over 100 domain names since 1999. After years of calling to renew, and paying a lot, I found discount codes and began to use them about five or six years ago. I did the same the other day. The code was accepted. The renewal went through at $10.00 each. I got a confirmation number. An email came in which looked like all normal INVOICE emails I get. I was satisfied, and went to bed. Next day I go into Register.com to make sure the new expiration date was there - it was NOT. I check my bank account. The money was taken out. I rechecked my email, and it said "unfulfilled" on all the domain name, and "0" on the amount charged.

I called Register.com in Nova Scotia, and the rep spent almost two hours with me finally telling me that even though the Auth Code was accepted, the new CEO at Register.com/Web.com had raised the price to $39.99 per renewal, and the lowest discount she could offer was $29.99. I didn't have enough money to renew at that price, so I chose only 4 names to renew - two which actively being used on websites since 1999. Still she could not get a renewal to go through. It wasn't the debit card, it wasn't anything else.

Furthermore, she said there was a "legal lock" on my domain names which I had never requested, and which I have been requesting for YEARS that they take off. So as it stands today, I have to call their Legal department and their Finance department to find out what is going on. Is Web.com/Register.com trying to shake me loose of my valuable domain names after all these years of paying for renewals? Sure looks that way. And if that is the case, I will be searching for a lawyer who specializes in this sort of thing...

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Warning!!! If you do not have a REGISTER.COM account don’t get one. If you already have one, you will soon regret it – start looking for a good web hosting service. I've been a REGISTER.COM customer with multiple sites for more than 10 years. Register.com was a really good company before Web.Com purchased them. Since that time, the help desk services have steadily declined. Now they have hit an all-time low after being acquired by Siris Capital.

I received two email messages asking that I confirm my email address “due to ICAN” requirements. I was on vacation and did not receive the emails so Register.com redirected my websites to a placeholder. When I returned, I logged into my account and confirmed my email address. By the way, this email address is hosted by Register.com and has not changed in 10 years.

After the web address were restored Register.com left a script in place that continues to rename my Index.com file to Index.com.bak.bak and added an index.php file that points to the Index.com.bak.bak file. This change creates problems, it adds dead links to my web page menus. In less than 12 hours after the files are corrected - Register.com returns. Restores the bak.bak files. Two different problem escalation reports have been sent to their off-site team (more than likely in India) only to be cancelled. Unless you retain the file numbers the reps are unable to find them.

When I ask for a supervisor or manager – they do not have one. I have also been told that David Brown, Web.com’s, CEO does not talk to customer. The web hosting team has advised me of the following – none of which are ture 1. That I made the changes, 2. That someone has my FTP password and id, 3. That my computer has a keylogger malware infection. And 4. That I should move my account to a different hosting provider. This is the only good advice that I have received.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The interface to manage domains has been broken for months. They charge you $50 on top of domain fee to do a forward. They turn on a "SafeRenew" function that renews domains even if you do not want them renewed. The technical support is atrocious, and takes hours to get anywhere. The pricing is insanely high. They do not offer invoices online, you have to call them to make a request. After wasting hundreds of hours, I am moving to another service. The question is, will they charge me for that?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have been using Register.com & Web.com for about 10 years. What awful customer support. Today they shut down my domain for several hours because they were trying to confirm an email. I found the email and it looked like some virus that I would never open. To shut down a large business without even a phone call is horrible and given the choice I would not ever recommend them.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I opened an account with Register.com many years ago (when they were in Nova Scotia) and was very happy with the ease setting up my blog site, the service, etc. BUT then the company changed and the service I HAD been pleased with went out the window as the prices went up. When a bogus link to a Russian site appeared on my blog and all logical attempts to delete it failed, their customer service (a misnomer) said they took care of the issue. Not so. Days later, it remained on my website. More calls, more BS and the link remained. I am now unable to receive comments as the only way Register.com said to 'fix' the problem was to eliminate the comment/contact link (which I paid for). Now they are sending renewal notices. Guess who will not be renewing? Reading these reviews I see that I am not the only unhappy, soon to be FORMER client.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I have been with Register.com for over 10 years. A year ago I phoned to check my renewal date and to inform them of my new renewal email address. A year later they sent my renewal reminder to my old defunct address. Then they closed down my web hosting and email facility. It took £100 worth of phone calls to Canada. Plus $50 to reinstate my website and $25 to reinstate my email address. On top of my renewal fees. The very nice man at Register accepted it was their mistake and they had my previous phone call logged, but I still had to pay up. I complain by email to Register.com. They have completely ignored me. I wish I had read their long list of negative reviews before. I'm now stuck with them for the next 2 years.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I register a domain with these people and two days later they're cold calling me trying to sell me web design services, asking me what I want to do with my domain as if that's any of their business. They use ridiculous pressure tactics to try to sell 'domain privacy' too -- take your business elsewhere.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Do not trust this company with registering your domain name. If there is a problem with an automatic renewal, they let the name expire. They send one email, which in my case went to junk. They claim to make auto calls, which I did not receive and have no recorded messages. A name I had for over 15 years they now want to resell back to me for $49,450. Avoid this company like the plague.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I registered my domain with Register.com in 2015, no other features, just the domain, but a year later at renewal time my annual fee tripled. When I called to ask why of course they explained it is due to all the extra features which I had clearly not selected. They corrected the unauthorized transaction and while I was on the phone with customer service, I realized that I had misspelled one of my 2 domains, so I cancelled it, explained to the rep that I would be adding a new domain, she said, "No problem." Then this past December I received a renewal notice for January, again I logged into my account to review my fees and noticed that the misspelled cancelled domain had been added as a "renewal". CSR tried to explain that the cancelled domain was still active because I failed to cancel the mail box service to that domain, which of course didn't exist because I only purchased "domains", no other services.

Gladly, before the January 2018 renewal date, the cancelled domain was finally removed from my account without further incident. Then this morning, March 31st 2018 I received a receipt for $39.99 with a message "thank you for your order"??? So I called the Register.com billing department which is conveniently closed on the weekends. My domain renewal was paid in January, for the two and only domains I need, and yet my credit card has been charged for "what" I don't know. So, Monday morning I'm going to cancel all services with Register.com. The use of my domains will not be a problem because I can simply change from .com to something else, and my domain is 100% unique to me, so it will never be sought by other users anyway. Register.com and all its affiliates should be shut down permanently.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Every time I contact technical support the technicians spend more time trying to convince me there is no problem, than they do trying to find and fix the problem. They constantly try to convince me that my changes just needs time to update. Their favorite answer is "Give it 2 hours or so and it will be fine". Well let me tell you something, 1995 called, and they want that answer back. DNS servers today propagate within seconds. These people are so frustrating. I want to bang my head on the wall.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased a domain name for $16.00. It was to be a 1 time purchase with option for annual renewal. Charges for $5.99 have been showing up irregularly on my bank account. They are charging me and there is no representation of what that charge would be in my "Account Manager" control panel. Register.com is stealing from me without my knowledge. I also noticed that they have "suspended" my domain name registration, even though all of my account information is correct.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We live in a world that everything through the internet is nearly instantaneous. If you are purchasing something through Register.com you can do it immediately and they will take your money immediately. However when you need an authorization code to move your domain from their company, it's a 3 to 4 day wait for it to be sent to you... WHAT! They jerk you around every chance they can. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I logged into their website to renew my domain name, and upon clicking on existing domains, their website shows a lower price than what is listed when you go to the checkout cart to renew. The agent on the telephone was very rude and did not let me talk by constantly talking over me. He claims that the price I was looking at on their website was too low a price, and refused to give the advertised price on their website.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Customer service is terrible. I requested a authorization code to transfer my domain name and they sent it a week later - when the renewal expired. They now want me to renew it for $36 and pay the reinstatement fee of $30 - before I can transfer it out!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

It took me a while to just get a simple responses from them. I had to transfer the business account email because it was register under our IT subcontractor email. They keep telling me to login in my old account to update the new one while I can't access the old one. They are really **.

Register.com Company Information