Register.com

Compare Web Hosting

Research top Web Hosting recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is the WORST COMPANY! The level of customer service is 0! My credit card changed, so I called and added the new CC, so my service would not be interrupted. 2 weeks later they took down my email for my entire co. (12 email address) and my website. For nonpayment. I never received an email, I never received a notice of any kind. I knew that this could be a problem because the level 2 team are the biggest bunch of Jerks in the history of websites.

If you live on the West Coast NEVER use this company because at 1 pm Pacific Time they close! They are in Canada and don't give a care about you, your business or your website. I paid the Web.com (Register.com is owned by web.com) $200 per month and register.com $114 per month. They are far and away the worst! When it comes to Web.com and register.com JUST DON'T DO IT! To try and make it up to me the web.com rep deleted my entire account and re-stated it. So I lost ALL of my emails that I was storing via imap. So 8 years of information for 13 emails gone! So if you want to be frustrated for the entirety of your online life and then lose everything hire them. These people gave me cancer!

I have used Register.com service since Feb 2000. In the last 17 years that I have been with them, they have failed me repeatedly. Their service standards have not improved all these years. One thing that frustrates me frequently is their customer service level. They make it very difficult for me to cancel their service. They put me on auto (Safe Renew) without my permission. And to disable the safe renew, I have to call them. But because I am in Singapore, the toll free number does not work. So there is no way to call them except to email them. But when I email them, I don't get a reply from them. So I am at their mercy and I am left stuck with a service that I don't need.

I also could not delete my credit card info from my "Manage account" section. So the last resort is to cancel my credit card to prevent them from billing me again. But doing this will upset many of my existing billing arrangements. Register.com has caused their customer so much pain. Sometimes I wonder why they are still in business? Another pain in the neck is their user unfriendly website. I have been with them for 17 years and I am still trying to understand the way they design their site. It is so counter-intuitive. It is so difficult to get things done on your own in their site.

I switched over to GoDaddy this year. Doing business with GoDaddy is such a pleasant experience. It is like going from hell into heaven! GoDaddy customer service is first class. They provide 24/7 customer service. You call them and within 5 mins you will be talking to a customer service officer who will be able to assist you with anything from technical support, product information, billings, complains. With GoDaddy, I have complete peace of mind. For the record, I am not paid by GoDaddy. I am just a disgruntled customer of Register.com and a satisfied customer of GoDaddy. It's a whole new experience with GoDaddy. Register.com has too much to catch up. Good luck.

As you can see from this string of reviews, this company is NOT to be trusted. I'm a small business owner trying to set up my website, emails, etc, and wish I could rate Register.com with zero of five stars after their horrific customer service. Register.com provides the typical archaic customer service you'd expect Circa 1994, with an ethos of apologizing profusely while providing zero service. When I asked for an email address with only a single character (Ex: b@register.com), they told me their top engineers don't know how to do this. When I asked to transfer the hosting, as all other web hosting services allow single character email addresses, not only did they erroneously place a 60-day hold on my account (I'm unable to transfer to another hosting site), but they refuse to offer any help in lifting said hold.

I've already printed business cards with my requested email address, and though being aware of this, are offering no work around to accommodate their antiquated rules. They make it crystal clear they don't care about their customers' requests, and for this reason I refuse to pay them my hard-earned money. There are plenty of superior options out there, and for that reason I hope potential customers will steer clear of Register.com and instead pay for a service who actually care for and work with their customer base. It's 2017 and their engineers can't create an email with a single character? Based on this rudimentary request, I can't imagine what happens when deeper issues appear. Go elsewhere for your hosting; these people have wasted hours and hours of my life so you won't have to.

Please do not use this service. They have been nothing but terrible. They don't send receipts when charging your credit card. In addition, whenever I call customer service to get on the notification list, they transfer me to another technical rep and/or account billing who never picks up.

Register.com recently took 38.00 out of my bank account without my permission. I gave them my bankcard info over the phone last year when I renewed my web hosting. They under no circumstances had my authorization to take money from my account. I did not sign up for auto renewal. They obviously knew this because when I called and demanded my money back and to cancel the domain, the woman I spoke with tried everything in her power to get away with what she could. She tried charging me an extra 30.00 "relisting fee" for the domain, then she tried to only refund 24.99 of my money. After I demanded that no, you stole 38.00, put 38.00 back in my account she relented. According to her the money should be back in my account by the end of the day tomorrow. We will see. Do not use this service under any circumstances. They will do whatever they can to get your money including just flat stealing it out of your account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

I've been using Register.com for years to register my business website. I renewed it once again for a year, and found out the hard way that they suspended my account when I couldn't send or receive emails and my website suddenly became inactive. When I reached out to register, they informed me that they suspended my account because I failed to respond to an email request to verify my email address - which I never received! So they took the extreme position of suspending service. No phone call, nothing. Then, BAM, my business is completely shut down. I called them and got responses like "sorry, that's our governing bodies rules" and "you didn't answer our email." If I ran my business this way I'd be out of business. DO NOT USE REGISTER.COM. There's too much better competition out there that wouldn't do this to you.

On Saturday January 28, 2017 we notice we were not receive our company emails. Our company domain account is hosted with Register.com and we add email service. I started calling Register.com and they told us that we redirected the email host?? Level 1 customer service keep telling us we had made the changes? This happen at 8:05 on Monday morning? This was surprise to us since I'm the Administrator on the company account. I was not even out of bed at that time. I told them, "Ok why can't I access our control panel or manage the accounts." They told me they would send us a reset. I never ask which email. Waited, waited then I called back to found out they sent the reset to the account we no longer could access. I told them that in my profile I had other email address not my company email in my profile.

Then they said they were going to verify by calling my phone number. Now this was when things got crazy. They called a disconnect phone number which we had not had for over 4 years. I just could understand why they could not email my alternate email in my profile. I told them that not right its never been my company email for reason just like that happen. I own website for 15 years and never would use my company's email on these accounts. They told me that was not true it was only company email in my profile. It took us over 19 hour later when our IT company came in to access our problem. We never redirect our email to an old server old website host? WHY would we? Please run your own DNS report before calling them.

Then we discovered that REGISTER.COM was hacked and compromised, over 600k of website emails, domain names where changed. Register.com decide to us old Data they had not update or backup their subscribers accounts in over a year? They use a year ago account setting this is why they used our old website and server. I asked who authorized our server being move back to old server not our new website server? We requested the IT address on the changes? They reply it was me.???

Again Register.com was Compromised and Hacked. Their Customer service rep are clueless and put all the blame their subscribers. They have not notify their subscriber base. $$$ This has cost us sales, time, add cost of IT personnel, lots of money because of their error. Then our bank call today since they noticed usually charges pending on our credit cards. Now we're dealing with banks fraud department. We had to closed down checking accounts and cancels credit cards that were in the wallet profile in our account at Register.com. Beware... Please delete and remove all credit cards in your Profile. Next cancels your credit card that were on file in the wallet profile.

I had hired this company to advertise my own website I made and advertise it through google. By searchers clicking on my web link they were able to see my website. I had to pay a monthly payment in order to have my website valid. 2 months later I had to pay additional mandatory fees in order to keep my website announce. I had to pay 250 dollars for 1 full year when they didn't tell me about this before fees that I wasn't really suppose to be paying. Since I didn't pay they had removed my website off the internet search and wanted me to pay more fees. So then I hired another company and now it's going better and very reliable so people BEWARE of this. Company should not be in business and have to disappear definitely.

A long time ago I used this company. Basically I was charged ridiculous amounts for basic services. I stupidly signed up for some kind of service and was charged multiple times per day for it. Given, the websites actually looked pretty good themselves and the design interface was top-notch, I was disappointed. To cancel the service you actually had to call them. Because I was being charged so much money to my debit card I had my bank cancel the debit card so it could not be charged anymore. Some time later, obviously because they could not charged me anymore, my account was canceled.

They promise cheap rates that go up easily and every little thing could possibly cost you more. They try to get you charged upfront for as much as possible. If you don't un-tick the boxes you are bound to get charged a lot after some time. I don't recommend this to anyone but really rich companies who can afford to pay very high premiums for the services rendered.

On the positive side, the graphics on the websites that I created were good looking, and I thought that it was nice how fast the website creation process worked. You were afforded almost unlimited if not unlimited redirects, which was nice. Overall, I was somewhat satisfied with the experience on this website. I just wish that web hosting with the options I chose did not cost me so much in the end.

If you were a rich person or even someone with a good deal of money this could be honestly and non-sarcastically be the right option for you. The company never lied to me as well, which is a very good thing. The company is honest with you. To get started quickly on a website I would have to say that the interface would be the best in the industry for that purpose.

Two years in a row they have double-billed me for renewing one website. It has cost me additional funds because my bank charged me for overdrafts due to Register.com's mistakes. This company offers no explanation as to why this happens, just a "We're sorry for the inconvenience." Stay away from Register.com. Renew and host your domain elsewhere.

The site constantly says it timed out. It doesn't change anything it's suppose to, i.e. BOLD, TEXT COLOR, simple basic things that should be easy to do. This is by far the worst website building site I have come across. I'm going to talk to the owner of the website I'm building and tell him to take his domain and site to another company. Obviously, he did not research Register.com to see how awful the reviews are on here. Now another bad review. Register.com has a lot of upgrading to do in order to compete with GoDaddy, etc.

My husband & I are very disappointed with the changes made to the Life section of the daily paper. We have been subscribers for over 30 years. You have removed my favorite word search completely and have made the size of the sudoku puzzle to a very small square which is more difficult to see and work with our older eyes. We are 62 years old. My husband & I used to enjoy sitting, eating breakfast together each morning working our puzzles together. Now I don't really read the paper any longer. My vote is to bring back my word search and make the sudoku puzzle larger again. Thank you for your time.

I wanted to transfer the two remaining domains I had with Register.com to my current preferred webhost provider. In the past, you could generate the needed EPP Authorization Codes from your online account at Register.com. Now, you have to call Register.com to ask a rep to email you the codes. When I used the codes Register.com blocked the transfer. I called Register.com again. The rep said it would take 24-48 hours before they could send me the needed codes again so I could try the transfer again. I said, "How about you email them right now and I wait on the phone until the codes come through?" Guess what. The codes came through within a minute.

Now I only hope Register.com doesn't block the transfer again. They appear to have a policy of doing everything they can to stop you from leaving them to a degree that is, in my opinion, unethical. Company behavior like this is why we need government regulation. Something that should take a few mouse clicks made into an annoying afternoon-long back and forth.

The business was so horrible. I want to warn others to avoid it. I am a member of a Rotary Club. A volunteer got a website for us and administered it. Unfortunately, he died without giving us information about it. No problem, just transfer the administration to another club member, right? Nope, there is absolutely no way to do this at Register.com. They have been jerking me around for week saying "get your club president to send a notarized document." We do that and then they say "tell us what street you grew up on," meaning the dead person. I tell them, "he's dead," then they say, "give us the last four digits of the credit card you used to pay," I say, "he's dead." Then they say, "we can't transfer it, then."

They have to be some of the stupidest people I have ever encountered in my life. The domain name is registered to our club, not to the administrator. Our club should have some control over how the domain is used. I was with Network Solutions for years and never had these kinds of problem. If we can ever get the domain back, I will transfer it away as soon as possible. I can see why they have a one-star rating. You can't go lower.

I have been a loyal website customer for 15 years with Register.com, which was recently bought out by Web.com. I paid thousands of dollars to set up the website and paid $99.00 per month for years for them to make changes they told me only they could make; when in reality I had the option to make the changes myself. I literally paid them $20,000 in having them manage my website when all along I could have been managing the website myself. Even after asking how to reduce my costs, they just lowered my monthly amount but did not give me the option to manage it myself.

When I finally caught on to this fraud and refused to pay any more monthly fees, they froze my website not allowing any changes to be made which has hurt my business immensely. When I tried to work it out with a manager, he doubled down and refused to make any concessions to try to keep me as a customer. THIS IS A TERRIBLE COMPANY! Run away from it! They have the worse customer service I have ever had to deal with in 25 years in business.

Once upon a Time, they had a really well run company and then around 8 years ago got sold to someone else who doesn't care that the site is not MAC friendly. I've been a paying customer at REGISTER.COM for over 15 years, I've had many accounts there and still there with one account left. Dealing with uploads of photos is total chaos there and frustrating to get a picture to show up without spending hours trying to get it to show correctly. It's forever showing up broken image or way too small. Even then, going through my website, I see many errors taking place due to register.com issues with showing photos in my online folders. I've contacted Register.com many times to complain and they say "use the TEXT to upload show a photo, not the IMAGE", even still the site no longer works well for me.

Register.com - It is built clearly in a way that target profit optimization and not customer satisfaction, i.e. to renew any service is it easy but impossible to cancel anything unless you call them. Why calling them? Because it is an effort you have to undertake from your side (the consumer) and they know well that most people will think twice before spending time on the phone. Hence the barrier to exit is so high that they just benefit.

Message: Do change your policy and include the option to cancel a service or a feature of a service - or say the truth, manage your account - no cancellation option available!! You will have greater number of happier customers and less comments like this. For now you get the lowest star number on customer care vs. profit generation. Message for the CEO: I hope you read and listen to what your customers say and get rid of the people that seek to only profit optimize who advise you for such non-customer friendly policies.

I made the mistake of signing up several domains several years ago with this company and it has been a terrible relationship. The service was spotty and very slow. Their navigation sucked and in general was a tough service to utilize. Now, they've updated some of their system features but they've adopted some bad business practices. The added fees and surcharges are a major reason why I am moving away from these guys altogether. When you nickle and dime your customers, you're killing the goose that's laying your golden egg. Foolish company. I strongly suggest you find another company to register your domains. This one unfortunately is not a good company with which to deal.

Register.com, LIARS/SCAMMERS/THIEVES. I had several domains with Register.com. When my personal website/domain was due for renewal, I spoke with a rep who assured me it was secure for several more weeks and I said I would renew the following week. When I went online several days later the domain was GONE. I called again and spoke to several reps who told me an auction company now had my domain. I contacted that company and they said, "No, Register still controlled it." After about 10 calls number of calls being given the run around by reps of Register.com and other companies it was apparent no one was going to tell me who controlled my domain or why I was being lied to and why I could not renew my domain. I was furious as you can imagine.

Several weeks later, I did a web search and found my domain name (worthless) being auctioned for $2500. It's obvious that when your renewal is due they have sister companies waiting to steal your domain name and farm it off for auctioning purposes. This is why I was lied to. I recommend NEVER have anything to do with Register.com, anyone who values your online property.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Shortly after posting my initial review I was contacted by a different Rep who understood the problem, was far more courteous, and corrected the situation. I have upgraded the rating to reflect this. Thank you.

Mike of Easton, PA on

Original Review

Absolute nightmare in trying to regain control of a domain name registered by a vendor when hired to create a website for a small Pennsylvania town. The vendor never completed the website and was dismissed. In trying to get the vendor's email address changed to get access to the domain, they found problems with the form submission no less than 3 times, saying each time, "It was incorrectly filled out." After finally filling every demand they had for a notarized letter on company letterhead, required picture ID, name matching, and signatures, they came back with a new demand... "We need the last 4 digits of the credit card # associated with the account."

Impossible to do since our vendor used their credit card and we wrote them a check to reimburse them. Register.com will find every avenue possible to delay or prevent anyone from leaving their "service." A service for which they charge about double for a domain name renewal than almost every other registrar. Avoid at all costs!

I signed up for a domain in December from Register.com, anticipating charges of no more than $16 for my account, being charged $23 instead. The auto renewal for email services engaged without my direct authorization and charged me for two different amounts for just over $7 each instead of $5. There was no billing information available anywhere in my account, or the email I used when I signed up (where I was told to look).

When I attempted to remove my credit card information, the direct renewal service they employ locked me out of making changes, indicating it must be processed over the phone. I called customer service three times before they put my call through, and I was able to remove my credit information at that time. I requested billing statements to show the charges they issued, which did not match the charges on my account. The discrepancies were small, but unaccounted for and unauthorized. The way Register.com conducts business is bordering on a scam, and I would warn anyone looking to use their services to look elsewhere.

For over 10 years, have 10 domains with Register.com. Very disappointed in decline of service and reputability of Register.com through the years. I now have no web presence. A few years ago was informed by Register.com that legacy accounts were no longer supported by their technology and all sites but one were shut down but told I could rebuild at a much higher cost to me or have them do so for even a much steeper fee in order to have a site that would be compatible with their current system.

I would have actually believed this had it not been for the one site that remained up using the same technology. Been reading the comments on this site in attempt to find something promising about remaining with Register.com. But feeling I desperately need to find a new host before I risk even losing my domain names. Fear leaving anything with Register.com since Web.com or should I say .con? felt compelled to add my experience after reading other reviews. Thank you.

Do not sign up any services with them. The worst web hosting company. Their support is just like kindergartener rate!

I had a domain name for 20 years that supported our family business' educational website. My credit card expired and I forgot to update to a new credit card, my error. However, one month after the expiry, they sold the domain name to an anonymous agent. Minimal charge was $500 just to start the process of getting the domain back then I would have to bid for it. Although they had a lot of contact information about me, they only tried once to get in touch. This was a premium domain name so it was in their interests to sell it rather than try to make the effort to reach out to me.

They stink. Set up domain name with them for a reasonable price. Within 2yrs I'm paying 6x what they said I'd be paying. They seem mostly to be about attempting to collect additional fees from users. Unable to log into system to make a payment. Never receive a legit reason as to what the problem is. Then after paying their late fee, which is 2x more than what I started off paying for yearly registration, they charge my credit card twice. I was told that the person processing my payment entered the wrong billing address causing a decline of my card, but somehow their system still keeps trying to process the payment. Then after calling back and arguing with them over the fact that they have double billed me they agree to cancel the pending charges, but not until after 4 or 5 days. I canceled service with them and moved on.

When register.com started out it was a service oriented company. Then it was bought by some large internet company and the service went south. They have a habit of cancelling email accounts without giving the customer any notice whatsoever. I've had problems using a proxy email program because register.com sometimes makes changes to its servers. Today I was asked for a user name and password by the proxy email, and register would not accept the info I provided (the same info I use to get email directly from register). Now I'm on the phone for an hour waiting for someone at register to give me the reason why.

This review is very simple. I bought a domain name from them and immediately started getting spam emails and phone calls. When I called to ask them not to share my personal information, they wanted to charge me a fee to make it private. 1 and 1 doesn't do that, and I've never been spammed by 3rd parties after a purchase at GoDaddy so I'm sure they don't either. They also charge exorbitant fees to keep the domain with them for the second year. If you don't make them take off the automatic auto renew feature. They will automatically charge you double the going rate for your domain the second year.

I purchased a domain from Register.com and didn't think I'd have read the FINE print. They advertise a stellar rate and then started charging me 10x the original price a few months later and claim "It was in the fine print." Good business goes both ways and surprises like this for the consumer are a big no no. At first when questioned about this whole ordeal they claimed they would not refund, after pushing they did. Just silly and they will not see my business again... Good business needs to go both ways Register.com!!!

Register.com suspended my account with a "contact billing" message for all my clients and prospective clients to see. I wonder how there could be a billing error when this month is supposedly free to make up for their billing mistake last month which caused a suspension of my email. We are looking at a lawsuit now. Stay away from this company.

I attempted to register two domain names with the company, and their website informed me my card was declined. Despite this, they charged my account for the full amount. I called customer service, where they claimed ignorance about the charge while trying to charge me again to register the domains. I refused to pay them again, as one would in a situation where one has already been stolen from.

I then asked for a refund and was told that I would have to be transferred to billing. After another several minutes, the billing department told me they would do nothing to rectify the situation. I was forced to dispute the charge with my bank in order to regain my misappropriated funds. This is simple theft. No customer service agent gave me the slightest sense of any care whatsoever, and it was clear they did not plan to refund the money. I simply desired to register a few domains, and they refused to do this while slipping their hands into my bank account to take everything they could.

Register.com Company Profile