3.2/5 (71 ratings)

About Register.com

Register.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

Original review: April 18, 2022

I have had the same domain name for business (a portfolio site) for over 20 years. I just discovered my site wasn't working. Long story short, it was because my domain name was sold out from under me. They claimed to have reached out, but I never got an email as I switched emails. They could have sent a snail mail or phoned me. After 20 years, you'd think they would have been suspect of someone buying my domain out from under me. It is now going to cost me thousands of dollars to create an entire new site, new business cards that promoted this site, and so much more. Be careful and keep on top of them.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Register.com is one of those companies that lures you in with discounted initial pricing and hides the recurring costs. Their services are OK. It's their treatment of the customer which is deplorable. I finally transferred my domain out after they planned to charge me $43/year to maintain it. Once the transfer was complete, they retained my credit card and had it attached to auto-renew services. After an hour on the phone, they have deleted my card from their system. I have no patience for companies that focus more on making it hard to leave rather than giving me a reason to stay. Please don't reward this terrible organization.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

To say I am frustrated with this company does not even begin to tell the story. I had a website with them which they deleted after I spent hours on the phone with them and the phone reps just lied about what was going to happen. I finally switched my domain name to Squarespace and decided to keep my e-mail with Register.com, what a mistake, Again lies, incompetence and never an apology or an attempt to make things right. The management must be hiding somewhere because they just put incompetent reps on the phone who I sometimes feel sorry for, They are poorly trained but they are also taught to just say whatever comes to mind to get rid of you.

Twice I was given new DNS codes for my email so it would work with squarespace and each time the rep would say "Yes this will take care of everything" and then I call back and hear "Oh no that was wrong, here is the correct information" again it was incorrect, yet they say "Oh yes this will fix the problem." They sound friendly and all but in the end you get off the phone and you find out they have just fabricated everything they told you, I just don't get how this company can still be in business. If you have a business that relies on your website and e-mail please do not use them, you will be putting your business in danger.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I am unable to get my SSL hosting issue solved. Called three times and after waiting almost an hour each time was told to wait anther 24 hours or whatever they did (and told to wait 24 hours) did not work. Meanwhile my site gives and security error message when navigating to it.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

This is the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with. Forever hold times, service agents who don't know what they are doing, ignoring requests, setting up impossible rules and guidelines. They started services for me that I did not request or use, then when I tried to cancel and get a refund, they did not really cancel and kept billing me. And then said that because it was not cancelled, they would not give a refund. Read their reviews on all the different review sites. They all agree. This company is horrible and a dishonest rip-off. Giving one-star is far too generous.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I called their customer support a dozen times and their technical support couldn't provide clear direction. They were even rude! I had to fight to get my money back. Don't use them and go with GoDaddy or someone else instead.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

The worst company, they have locked my account for the 3rd time. Each time I go to move my account they lock my domain and hold it hostage. They do it for 60 days. When you go back to move they do again. Criminal at best. ICANN and Web.com all in bed together. They lie.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

A domain renewal was set to 'auto-renew' in error. When it was auto charged to my card I tried to get a refund as this is an old company no longer in existence. They refused because it was 37 days past the charge date and their policy is 30 days. It took 37 days because it took me 7 days past the billing cycle to get the credit card bill - thanks to the slow postal service. The charge was made on the FIRST day of the new billing cycle. Tried multiple times to get customer service to work with me but they refused. It was a 3 YEAR RENEWAL so it was a substantial amount. I've been a customer for over 30 years for multiple domains so I was outraged they would not consider a refund.

Original review: May 19, 2021

They advertise domain transfers for $10 which includes a year, plus another extended year for free. Then it is supposed to renew at the current price upon expiration. In fact, they added the two years, but then charged me an additional $15 immediately for a total of $25. It's a misleading scam. A long phone call achieved nothing. Also, they charge $1 for privacy on the listing which had been free at GoDaddy.

Original review: May 4, 2021

We have 2 email addresses and our domain set up with Register.com. Recently, the emails from another web mail server weren't being received by our Register.com email. When I called Register.com, I was told that the problem was with our other web mail server (Ionos) and would not take the initiative to find out what to do to correct our issue. I called Ionos and they told me that the problem was with our DNS at Register.com. When I research the problem, it appears that the Ionos person was correct but yet Register.com does NOTHING. We will probably have to move our DNS service and web mail addresses to Ionos because Register.com doesn't provide competent customer service and leaves the customer with the problem - after they are being paid on an automatic renewal. This is unethical and basically, stealing from consumers. Beware of Register.com!

Register.com Company Information