Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

Register.com Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

It has been terrible experience. Promising to expedite the transfer and still no results. It's been 10 days and numerous phone calls. I have been waiting on the finalization of the transfer. They are taking their time holding my domain hostage. They keep sending me emails with new deals to stay. My email box has stopped working so I have not been receiving my emails. They say they are working on it. It's been a nightmare switching. New buyers beware....

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Register.com's interface is designed to intentionally obfuscate some settings and it intentionally makes it impossible for an admin user to change them easily as well. The settings in question are those with respect to auto renew. Basically, you can't not have a credit card on file and you can't turn off auto-renew without dealing with their impersonal and time wasting support. Making DNS changes is slow and seems antiquated in format. Support is slow to respond and usually only somewhat knowledgeable.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Client for 14 years. Needed to install SSL to WordPress site. My time support installed and rendered site unfixable. No links worked. Was told site too old after they ruined my site. New site, called to get right hosting. They deleted old hosting, deleted my site and signed me up to the wrong package. 48 hours later was told that was wrong package. New package bought. Told it would work within minutes to upload new site. Did not work. Called again. Told would take 2 hours. Did not work. Called to cancel all products and get refund.

They cancelled two and then charged me $2885 for "professional email." Called back. Told supervisor would have to reverse charge that I NEVER authorized. No supervisor ever called or emailed so I took it up with my Visa. Also, in all this I was told I needed to extend email and domain name. I did not. Confirmed by billing. This company is not only shady they are criminal. Steer way clear of them. They are a disaster. Paid my web designer 180/hour times 5 hours to try to make this work. He finally said, "Cut your losses and leave."

Original review: June 30, 2019

Despite my making two phone calls to cancel hosting (there is no option to cancel online) they continued to bill me for hosting. After a third attempt to cancel by chat I was also billed. Customer service was extremely frustrating, long waits to speak with people who were rarely helpful. The “consultant” I spoke to about SEO seemed to lack basic knowledge and had a bizarre and grandiose sense of his own importance. Not worth the amount of aggravation for the low(ish) price.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I wish I could give negative stars, because Register.com is not even worth a single star. Since June 7, 2019, I have been trying to reach Register.com about a domain that is no longer in use and to cancel any and all services for that domain. I tried calling Register.com on Saturday -- Register.com states very clearly their hours of operation for Monday thru Friday, and Saturday and Sunday -- they were supposed to handle calls until 10:00PM on Saturday, and I called at/around 8:30PM. After going through numerous prompts to filter or focus my customer service needs, I get a recorded message that they're closed and call back during business hours (and I DID CALL BETWEEN BUSINESS HOURS!!).

Since the call didn't work out, I filled out their online support form and was given a 'ticket number' and read that it may take 24 to 48 hours for support to get back in touch with me. When I tried to check back about my 'support ticket', there was no 'support ticket' opened. So, once again, I filled out another support form, got a 'ticket number'. It's been over 48 hours and no one has contacted me. I am beyond aggravated and believe that basically I'm out $38.00 for a domain that is no longer in use and hasn't been used for several months.

Register.com allows you sign up for services online, but to cancel, you have to call, and then they NEVER answer. Really, I just think and believe it's a way to screw people over and out of their money -- you know, give the customer the run-around long enough and they'll give up. I will NEVER use Register.com's services again and I certainly will warn everyone to steer clear of doing business with Register.com. Awful customer service. Terrible, nonexistent support. NO communication. Horrible business ethics and practices. Register.com is a 'loophole thief'. Anyone who reads this review, my most sincere advice -- do business with another company and save yourself the headache and frustration of dealing with and losing money to Register.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

Original review: June 5, 2019

I purchased a domain name and an email address from Register.com for $77.90. The next day I called to purchase a web hosting page. They quoted a price of $199.00 per year as a package that includes both email and domain name. I ask them if they would deduct the money I had already paid because domain and email are included in the Web hosting package. They said they would only deduct the domain address and not the email address. That means a $39.00 loss for me in one day. I am going elsewhere for my Web page. They lost a customer, $199.00 per year, and gained a bad review.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Please consider using any other domain name registry. This company's entire marketing model is built on constantly spamming customers in an effort to sell more products. Even after requesting all marketing emails stop by unsubscribing, I continued to get sales messages. Recently, I overlooked an actually important email. I assumed it was more spam. It notified me that my domain name would be suspended if I did not verify my email address. Today, my entire business went down because the domain name was suspended. So, I finally acted on my intent to transfer a different domain to AWS. After speaking to customer service, I was given an authorization code. I provided the code to AWS with a request to transfer the domain name. Several hours later, REGISTER.COM sent an email advising that the transfer request was denied because they were "Unable to Verify Registrant Identity ".

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Billings are an issue with Register.com. This company does not have a complaints division/representative or any communications channel for such; does not have any email communications with the billings team; does not have access to an (My) account for past billings and a customer has to actually ask for nonrenewal of redundant domain name.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have a domain on Register.com and I want to transfer it to another registrar, but register.com refuses to cancel private registration of that domain and it's not possible to transfer domain without private registration turned off. There's no way on website to do it, so I called their support and asked to cancel private registration. They said that they cancelled it, but they did not do it. I called second time and asked to cancel it again and they again said that they will do it, but they again lied to me. After that I created a support ticket explaining situation and asked to cancel private registration again, and after several minutes they deleted my support ticket without any notification. This company is committing crime by not giving me right to transfer my domain away from them. My domain is held hostage by them! Never do any business with this company. They are criminals!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have domain names registered with this company. I decided to change holders and consolidate my accounts with a different company. I have been trying to get authorization codes to move my domains for over a month now. They ignore my requests and tickets. I called their '24/7' helpline only to be told that department is closed!? My domains have now expired and God only knows if I'll ever get them back. Also, their renewal rates are more than twice as much as anyone else. Don't get tricked into signing up with a cheap first time offer. You'll live to regret it! In no way, shape or form should anyone use this company...

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Register.com Company Information