1&1
1.20/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

1and1

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

1&1 Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I purchased a domain from them since it was very cheap and I was bootstrapping my business. The platform was clunky so I ended up not using it and letting the domain & hosting expire. They require to manually cancel renewals and I'm pretty sure I selected NO to auto-renewals. The company didn't care and went ahead and billed me an OUTRAGEOUS amount, 7x the original cost. PLEASE NOTE that 1&1 IONOS bills IN ADVANCE. The kept sending me a billing notice and then sent me a credit because I cancelled. After I received a credit I got another bill and a notification that I WAS SENT TO COLLECTIONS for a service that was NOT provided because they had already CANCELLED everything: e-mail, domain, and hosting.

Also, it's worth nothing. They kept trying to get money from me and kept billing my PayPal even though it wasn't authorized. It is OUTRAGEOUS that even though I tried to CANCEL an AUTO RENEWAL not only do I get charged, I get a credit, and then I get sent TO COLLECTIONS. I've reviewed their terms and conditions (EXTREMELY LONG BTW, must be because of all of the bad practices they engage in, they are trying to protect themselves at the cost of the CUSTOMER) and I simply CAN'T understand how they are still in business after treating so many of their customers like THIEVES AND VILLAINS.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I am very surprised by all these negative reviews. Personally, I tend to only leave reviews when I am infuriated, but I had such a great experience lately that I wanted to write a review for them. I have been a customer for several years now, having bought multiple domains and two hosting packages from 1&1, now Ionos. The domains are priced similarly with other sites but I think that Ionos has the best deal on web hosting. I was paying $59 a year ($4.99 per month). They also consistently offer deals for new domains.

I am not too savvy when it comes to all the web jargon, and 1&1 has spent hours on the phone with me, guiding me on how to transfer files between packages through Filezilla. They offered to do this for me for $70 but I declined and instead the customer service rep talked me through the entire thing. I've done that twice now. The most recent time was when I bought a package to host multiple domains instead of just one, so I had to move my old domain onto this new package.

Everything seems to be working smoothly. 1&1 does automatically charge you if you have recurring billing checked for each domain. This makes sense to me as you don't want to lose a website because you didn't pay a bill on time. They email you an invoice very close to the due date. I recently received an invoice for the single domain package that I had bought a year ago but was no longer using. In order to speak with a representative, you must set a time for them to call you back, at least a day later. They called right on time.

Unfortunately, I missed the first call and my account was charged for this service that I didn't need. I set another time for them to call back and when they did the call took less than five minutes. I gave them my account and invoice number, he verified that no domains were listed under this hosting package, and issued a refund in accordance with their 30-day money-back policy. I couldn't have been more pleased. Honestly, I was considering switching providers as my web design company has been growing, but I don't believe that I need to do that yet (there is a storage limit for all sites combined). I currently have 5 or 6 domains in my package. I take care of all customer service issues, and there really haven't been any major problems, I am happy to say!

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I had a couple domains I purchased that I let lapse, next thing I know I'm getting threatening calls from a collections agency. I contacted them and paid and they dont respond, but this piece of trash collection agency keeps calling. WOW, WAY TO GO. DO NOT EVER GO WITH THIS GARBAGE COMPANY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Someone just hacked my account (which I have had for over 3 years) and changed the email and password. I called them to let them know that these changes were not authorized. All I was told was to go to their site and download an Account Change Form and they would check into it. Time to look for another company!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

This e-mail serves as confirmation of the cancellation of your 1&1 ranking Coach Basic package as of 02/06/2019. We will deactivate all package features on this date. 09/03/2019 - 1&1 MyWebsite Personal (Contract **) - ** $ 83.88. How the hell can they get away with this!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

1&1 locked out my website without a notice based on a frivolous copyright issue. They claim they are a 24/7 company but were not available throughout the weekend. They do not stand behind their policy and are a total rip-off. Simple advice. Do not consider doing business with them. If there was less than 1 star I will give them.

Original review: July 30, 2019

1&1 is a terrible company, that does not stand behind their service. When I first ordered 1&1 DSL, it took several months (including six technician visits and even more phone calls), for my internet to work. Since then, the internet has often gone down for days and sometimes weeks at a time. 1&1 has consistently refused to reimburse me for this lost service. Do not use this company.

Original review: July 15, 2019

This hack of a company has done nothing but take money from me. I call and ask for help and the ridiculous customer service drone spoke to me as if I were an idiot. NEVER AGAIN!!! Shame on 1&1. I couldn't be more amazed at their business practices...

Original review: July 9, 2019

Not a legitimate company. This company does not follow their posted policies. If you want to work with a legitimate company, look elsewhere. IONOS will rip you off. They have a great site but once they cash the check, the service is over.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I signed up with 1&1 hosting several years ago for a $2/month plan. I stopped using the service and forgot about it. At some point they were sold to IONOS at which point they randomly charged by credit card ~$120. I called to dispute and they told me there was nothing they could do, but that my plan had changed and that they were now charging annually. I asked to dispute and they told me I could switch to a monthly plan, receive a refund of what they'd charged me, and then I'd be able to cancel the monthly plan.

So I did what the phone agent suggested, they refunded my account (again a service I NEVER USE) and charged me ~$9. I went in to cancel the monthly service, and it turns out they had placed me on a one year contract! And now they're hitting my credit card every month, again for a service I NEVER USE and for which I NEVER agreed. I will be challenging this with my CC company, but also wanted to leave a review as a buyer beware. Avoid this company at all costs. There are so many better web hosting options out there, who would ever use IONOS?

1&1 Company Information