1and1

1&1
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

1&1 Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I request Consumer Affairs to pin this review on top, their support is crap, you write email. They reply back after 9 or 10 hours and sometimes don't even bother to reply, I got charged $140 on 6th Feb without my confirmation, I sent mail and got a reply, "We refunded the money," today is 14th Feb and still money is not refunded. Moreover today again I got charged $115. I don't know for what, the live chat is also crap, they won't solve your issue and ask you to send email where you get reply if you are lucky, now let's see how reply here from Ionos, I need all my money back with compensation for charging me without my confirmation/knowledge and I want it right now, and yes never use your credit card in their system. There is no way to remove it if you want to.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

EVERYTHING! The alleged customer service repeatedly ignores your requests and questions/the support ticket emails they open and then oddly sends you a survey asking HOW DID WE DO (as if they resolved the pending issues), ignores the problems of their website and domain services, the email accounts do not show/sync/bring up your emails, each separate domain does not have their own account number and this glitch prevents you from setting up your account email address for each separate domain, the email accounts do not allow you to SELECT ALL (check mark all) but instead opens the email your finger starts at when you're only trying to select all, Google and the website shows a solicitation of $1.00 for first year for domains but when you go to use the offer it charges you $10.00 instead which is illegal (Bait & Switch) and willful False Representation and False Advertisement.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Horrible tech support. Forgetting the fact that I have to call to get anything done when all I need is to send an Email and I can't. Yesterday morning my site loaded but one section wasn't behaving like it should. Works in my Development environment but not on IONOS servers. I called and spoke with a Tier 1 agent and got no where. I get a senior agent, which I now wonder if he wasn't just a Tier 1 agent posing as Tier 2, who tells me they don't support ASP.NET 4.8. We only support up to 4.0. It was late and I just wanted the pain to end so I said "Okay I'll downgrade to 4.0." Then hung up and went to bed. Go to the site this morning and now the entire site doesn't load. Sigh. I look up my plan on their site and look at that...They do support 4.8. Back to the phone I go.

Get another Tier 1 who reads the notes and said "Well Sir, you were told we don't support 4.8." Yep that's what I was told but your site, the site I based my decision to host my site on your servers, says you do. I then had to help the agent navigate their own site just so he could see it. "Well Sir, it says we support ASP.NET 4.8 here. Can you use that instead?" Really?!?! I just said that's what I use. I repeat to the agent that the site was working yesterday morning and now it's not. You guys changed something. It's the exact same code now as it was yesterday. "Did you make any updates to the code Sir?" I actually had to ask if he was even listening to me. As I said I'm using the exact same code now as I did yesterday. I've canceled my service that I paid a year for and will be looking for another hosting service.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Bought a year hosting plan to park a site I am working on in my spare time- work 14 hrs 6 days a week so not much time to spare. I planned to back up the site and move it to another host due to the rude despicable tactics of their customer service dept which is all outsourced to some 3rd world country. They shut down my hosting before my plan expired and I did not have time to back up my site. I lost all the work I had put into the site all the content gone- THIS IS FRAUD- when I tried to talk to their non english speaking customer service reps they laughed and hung up on me.

Every time I called back to try to get to the bottom of things they played some sort of loud tone in my ear or hung up on me. Claimed there was no supervisor available. Someone needs to be supervising these clowns! They are DESPICABLE and will never ever see one cent of my money again. AVOID this scam company. 1&1 Ionos needs to be shut down- hope lightning strikes them and they all go up in flames!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Web Ionos.com scam, I buy hosting free domain, I have sent money but the web has not sent me and captures many steps... And have not returned my money, ionos vs 1&1 is 1 scam. I advise you not to buy on this web.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I took the internet connection with a TV plan for 2 years. A month after activation, they decide to cancel my contract due to technical reasons. The customer care hang up on you because no-one in the $135M company speaks English. You get bombarded with letters written in German. One letter suggested, to renew your connection that means you pack your TV again and *send it to them and they will send the same TV* back to you with the new internet connection, in 1 month.

I decided to terminate the connection with them altogether and send them the TV after receiving sub-standards customer support and service, just to be again bombarded with letters written in German. First letter says that they have received the TV and router and now will reimburse me for the amount they charged, for the TV and the router in the first month. Still waiting. Second letter says I have to pay high 3 digit figure to them as they have not received the TV (a little too late to pull this scam now?). I've been trying to contact them since past 2 weeks but listening to "Baby" from Justin Bieber all my life, in loop would be a better alternative than being hung up on the face by the customer care executives because again no-one speaks English. In short, had I knew all this would happen before, I would have chosen a multiple diarrhea experience than to have got service from this company.

Resolution response: Dec. 28, 2019

They resolved the issues.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

This company uses a fraudulent method to obtain customers. I know as I was scammed.

1 - They offer bargain priced domains to sign you up.

2 They failed to tell you that you also signed up for a premium website builder program.

3 - You must talk to their ignorant support staff who themselves do not know the scam.

4 - You cannot cancel too easily but if you do they withdraw the bargain domain.

5 - They are a Bait and Switch Scamster.

So much wasted time with these crooks. In the end I walked away with nothing but wasted of time.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

They charge more than the cost of hosting for "extending support of outdated PHP" (which costs them nothing, and most people they get to pay it don't even need it.) It's "gotcha" billing. It's unethical.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Last year I bought a domain thru 1&1 for 99 cents monthly. I forgot all about it until I saw a deduction in my PayPal account for $116. I was totally shocked but I first needed to know what I bought from them. It took forever to find out because they told me I needed to give them my customer number. I told them I never had one as they never contacted me since I made my purchase in Sept. of last year. They told me they sent notices but I never got them. I went thru phone, fax and e-mail to get help.

Eventually I was told they sent communications to an address on PayPal (which I have no idea how they got). I told them that I hadn't used that address in over a decade as it was associated with an old website I no longer have. I told them what my current e-mail address was and has been for the past decade but they told me they were limited in what they could share with me as the webmail address was the only one they could communicate with me on. I repeated the same thing, saying I haven't been able to access that old mail account since my hosting with that site expired over 10 years ago and was not renewed. I told them to check their bounced e-mails file as proof I could not get whatever communications they attempted to send me. They gave me no indication whether they would (check their bounced mails).

Although I never expected I would get billed for a hosting package I never sought, I did originally tell 1&1 I would at least keep the domain. But since I could not get much help after numerous attempts, I asked for a total refund. Eventually they told me they would do so after I signed a statement stating that my current mailbox (an Inbox account) was my updated as my main account. I did so and faxed it to their billing and process depts. (whatever "process" is supposed to mean). I was told my refund would be processed.

Then a couple days later (keep in mind much of these communications are from October of this year) 1&1 asked me for my driver's license or passport. I said for what? I never had any previous host (GoDaddy, Webstarts, eHost, IPage, Host Gator, Site Builder) request such. I told them I would redact my SS # & driver's license # in faxing this stuff to them and they said that was fine but the more I thought about it, the more I got suspicious that giving them certain info would possibly jeopardize my security.

Since 1&1 has offices in Europe, I became even more suspicious about divulging more personal info to people overseas who might have access. As such, I decided not to do so and wrote my bank (which is the issuer for my debit Mastercard) to ask them to see if they could return funds to my account. Their fraud analyst looked into my case and agreed with me and thus has granted me access to the money 1&1 took out. I also could not get PayPal to hear me out in returning my seized funds but my bank Horizon did and they believed it was credible enough to reinstate them.

My experience is somewhat similar to what recent poster Isabel shared. I have had some not so good experiences with other web hosts but nothing comes remotely close to this. No one should do business with 1&1 IONOS. No host is this bad. I can't figure how anyone can stay in business doing what they do. But I can more or less echo to some degree what every negative review states. It is mostly true. I question the few who claim they are having a good experience in light of the vast majority who are. It appears 1&1 was a decent host not too many years ago but they are absolutely trash today.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

When everything works, we are all happy, but if they make a mistake in their side they won't recognize it & they will ruin you. After many years of being a loyal client, I bought a new server from them and did not work at all, they did not respond us to our cancellation requests, probably they have a ** manager boss, that instructed to them to not recognize their mistakes, to act like nasty **, or they are afraid probably of being sue for their stupidity and negligence, or they are not afraid to anything since 1&1 is a too big company, they are in Europe and there is no way to sue them at all.

There no one to be found to sue, 1&1 behavior it is like a big mafia, they are not behaving like a respectful company, We, the customers, we like to be treated with respect & honesty, they don't do either of that and at end they send customer to collection agencies. They ruin the customer credit score, and there is nothing we can do about, they never lose. Stay away from them.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

1&1 Company Information