4.0/5 (380 ratings)

About Ionos by 1&1

Ionos by 1&1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

IONOS is repeatedly charging my credit card despite being told many times in writing they are not authorized to use the card. Their billing is deceptive and purposely convoluted, designed to hide charges. Repeated requests to stop charging my card were ignored. I will be reporting them to the FTC, the SEC, credit card fraud divisions of European police, and I will be informing all their board members and largest stockholders of their documented credit card fraud. DO NOT USE IONOS!

Original review: July 11, 2022

I am a marketing consultant and have hosted several sites with Ionos. Everything was fine (the UI is clunky but you get what you pay for) until I tried to cancel. I cannot even believe what this process has been! I have tried to cancel via the website where the contracts are hosted, via phone call (incoming and outgoing), and via email FOR MONTHS. I have made well over a dozen attempts to cancel for 6 months. I have requested, begged, and threatened to file formal complaints and write reviews warning others off, as I am doing now. And I keep getting billed. I see many reviews describing exactly what I have experienced, so this is clearly a standard business practice for Ionos and not an isolated error. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this company. Their low rates appear to be due to unethical billing practices.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2022

They only send you emails to renew that have numbers so you get to sift through all of your emails and heaven forbid you buy more than one thing because they send you 4 emails for every purchase. And of course if there's any issues they only send you an email with some numbers so if you buy domain names you never know which one they are talking about. Then I get on the phone to try to get a list of which ones are still active and the supervisor can't even figure it out after 40 minutes!

Now when you buy something together under the same number and you want to cancel one you think you cancel all oh no think again. You need to magically know that you were supposed to go cancel each one even though websites require domain names. So then 6 months later they send me to collections on a do not renew setting on domain name with hosting that went with it, and I obviously never used, and of course 10 calls later is still not resolved.

Resolution response: July 27, 2022

The company has indicated they will not alter their business practices or help customers avoid this unfortunate fate.

Original review: May 23, 2022

We have been customers with this company for about 15 years. Unfortunately our domain was tied to an account that was closed and we lost the domain because IONOS does not have options to protect the customer when billing issues arise. We were told that our domain was in a redemption status and that the fee to get it out was over 100.00. They lied and said the extortion fees were created by ICAAN and that they had nothing to do with it. This is patently false. IONOS refuses to negotiate the punitive fees which are essentially blackmailing us. We have moved to another registrar and will never do business with this one again.

Original review: May 16, 2022

Hello, I've signed up on the Canadian website. It decided to charge in me US currency for something I did NOT want. They took money out of my account which I was never authorized for. I kept calling for a week and no one has emailed me or called me. They said they issued a refund but it NEVER came into my account. I asked to speak to a manager and NO one would let me speak to a manager. I never had anyone reach out to me. This is the worst company I've ever dealt with in my entire life. When you ask to speak to a manager or supervisor and NO will transfer you. They opened a case but NO one reached out to me by email or phone. It's a disrespectful company that has no respect for their customers. Beware DO NOT sign up with Ionos 1 and1. Your life will be miserable and you will be scammed.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I had previously used IONOS to purchase a Domain Name. That went ok. I'd give them 2.5 Stars on that. I got a call from one of their telemarketers offering a free trial for a website builder with the option of canceling within 30 days at no charge. They said that there was simply a link that I could click on to cancel. Well, there wasn't one that I could find. So, multiple times I had to deal with their Cancelation department and Billing department to try and get this cancelled. I have spent hours trying to get it right. I also had to dispute their charges on my credit card (automatic billing) and even change my credit card number to prevent. As I am typing this, I am still on the phone, again trying to get this resolved.

Original review: April 27, 2022

They charged my bank account almost $200 and I don't even know who they are. They told me the only way to cancel the subscription I didn't sign up for was to give them my bank account info. I don't know how they got my bank account information and I'm scared they'll do it again!

Original review: March 2, 2022

Deceptive pricing & poor support. Initially cost about half as much as competitors, ended up paying 3x as much as better web host services. Their support "team" also doesn't know how to properly communicate via phone or email. Definitely would NOT recommend.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I have a domain contract with them. Paid in full. Due to expire in 4 months. They locked it because I reported some fraudulent charges on my account. They created another contract for website now.. I never signed up for or authorized them to charge my cc. NOW, they LOCKED my paid in full contract for my domain. That is a breach of contract. They got paid for a service they are failing to provide.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

My assistant failed to pay an invoice. I received 0 emails or phone calls in regards to this issue. I called to resolve the issue immediately once I realized my email was shut down by IONOS (host). My business relies on email and I can’t go without it. I wait 20 min on hold when I’m greeted by and outsourced rep. He sends me a PayPal link which I pay immediately mind you my invoice is for 36.00. Once paid I call back. They then tell me I won’t have access to my email for 3 to 5 days. I tell them this is unacceptable. Not because I’m entitled but because I have proof I paid. I have a receipt, I have my account showing the money was taken and I just need my email turned on. I’m then informed that I apparently know more than them. I ask if I need to escalate. He tells me it’s pointless. I ask if I need to transfer my service he says to go ahead. I leave the phone call utterly disgruntled.

I call back the next day. Wait on the phone 30 min to talk to someone. No one is willing to help me. I send an email explaining that every hour I go without email is money lost in my business. I get no response. All over $36.00. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere where they value customer service and experience over the dollar. I’ll be transferring my service ASAP.

Ionos by 1&1 Company Information