1.01/5

1and1

99 1&1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Beware of this company. I pay this fraud company to book my domain. This company makes my domain on hold once I pay money, If they people have some issue with my domain or anything else they should raise issue before payment but once I pay money, in my login panel shows domain on hold, bloody **. I book domain on my company name. There is copyright issues in there, my preferred name is totally fresh but they bloody ** mail me that wait for 24 hours, That's means I'll get my domain after domain hours but in that 24 hours time someone other book my same domain from another website. I lose my Domain Access forever and lose money also.

Please don't buy anything from this fraud company, They always takes 24-48 hours in domain booking. This is bloody suck company. If you wish to lose money and waste your time so you have great offer provided by this scammer corporation. I got this company details from Google ads but my experience is enough bad. I never suggest anyone to buy anything from this fraud company, I still did not get refund from this fraud company. Please beware from barking dogs and 1&1, because both makes you in problem.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. I deactivated my autorenewal and cancelled my domain. They still took money from my account anyway and bounced my bank account. And then when I called, after keeping me on hold a stupid length of time, they ARGUED with me over whether or not I deactivated my autorenewal. In the end, I MIGHT get my money back but they certainly will not pay for the mistake of overdrawing my bank account by taking a fee they were NOT authorized to take. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT sign up with these people. They are a rip-off.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Most horrible experience!!! I requested to 1&1 Internet Inc for host and transfer my domain services, but 16 hours later I saw it that they were adding a service that I did not order. I called and requested to their customer services to cancel everything because I did not want to have any business relations with them. This information was provided in writing to the company, but they are still charging me for a service never received and refused to read my emails or review the recorded calls, so I can conclude that they have harassing business practices. Can someone advise me what steps do I have to follow to stop this company harassment?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

These absolute scumbags decided to auto register for me for domains that I didn't want, threatened me with debt collectors if I didn't pay their ludicrous rates and then called them to my elderly parents' address after I told them I didn't live in the country anymore. Look online at the other feedback. Avoid this company like the plague. I will not stop until I have escalated this everywhere. Vile company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

1&1 never could get our website up and running. We let our registration lapse and they tried to hold it for ransom for $90. After calling Customer Service we were told they would release it in 60 days. They did not keep their word. We did a search for our domain name and found out that they registered for themselves for another year - even though our domain is nothing special and no one would want it - unless you want to collect ransom. I wish we could give negative stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have woken up consistently for the past 2 weeks with my account locked almost daily for random reasons that I was not made aware of or were beyond my control as the company made claims they were not able to charge my card on multiple accounts for $4.99 to $9.98. The money was available on all cards provided to this company. I was then sent communication that my payment needed to be wired which was done from my bank account with Bank of America with confirmation sent to 1and1 with screenshots and confirmation number.

Upon awakening as of 8/9/18 a new invoice was sent overnight with a dunning fee dated 8/9/18 and my account was locked again. Waking up to new issues with my sites not properly running after the yearly payment has already been made directly affects my business operations and is beyond unprofessional. I would not recommend anyone attempting to develop a digital presence online to entrust their hard work in the hands of 1and1 and I will be contacting my attorney in regards to any business losses in regards to this.

Original review: July 26, 2018

1&1 stole my business domain because I had a friend help me set up my website - who got suckered into using them. They held it for a year and then set up a side business called SEDO and tried to sell it to me for $685 USD. I’m still in the process of getting it back - very slowly and very frustrating. Avoid these guys like the plague. They are completely unethical.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I bought the domain from them, however all of a sudden they blocked my account saying because of the security reason they locked my account and they need my government issued ID. I provided them the ID and they said everything is good and within few minutes I can use my domain. But it has been 3 days. They still locked my domain for no reason. They are saying it's a system glitch from their end and they may need 2 weeks to fix this issue. So ridiculous!!! Customer service and security team were very rude.

Original review: June 20, 2018

As previous commenters have stated below this is a fraudulent and unethical company. I was suckered into my first year contract with a $12 offer, in the subsequent year I paid $100 for the renewal -- way overpriced for the service. So at the end of the 2nd term I let my card expire and I let the account lapse as I no longer needed the service. Instead of just terminating my account they sent a bill of $126 to collections! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I used to have a domain with this company which is expired. They kept contacting me to renew that domain but I did not do it because I am no more longer need that domain as the project associate with that domain name is called off. So, I thought it fine for the domain to be disable and expired. Then later, I purchase a new domain name with them due to their heavy promotion and the price is almost 50% cheaper than Namecheap. So, I proceed with my order and paid them via PayPal & I thought the process won't take more than 30 minute to get my new domain. But they hold my order & my payment for more than 48 hours. Then, I got an email stating I owe them a debit related to the expired the domain that I used to have with them.

What is the hell is that? Why should I pay for a domain that I no longer need it. They scammed you with so call contract that link to the domain that I have to pay. They force me to pay for something that I do not use. They hold my payment for 7 days otherwise the order will be cancelled if no payment done for the renewal. I do not recommend this company to anyone as you lot of better choices in the market. Do not get fooled with their discount and low prices as they have a lot of hidden agenda and unclear policies. Stay away from 1&1/1and1, their scrap and super slow processing order.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had screenshots of all I did on the transfer, because I heard they were scammers. I had never got the corresponding emails you get from them when you unlock, turn off proxy and get EPP code. I had called tech support at 1&1.com several times to see why emails were not sent. The domain expired yesterday. They want me to pay to renew with them first and then transfer to new registrar having to pay new registrar again. That defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do, that is why I initiated transfer last month. They say it never happened, Thank god for GPRS data export too, that in addition to my screenshots proves they are liars. GO anywhere but here. And research them on the web, there is a lot of bad stuff written about them.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I do not recommend anyone to 1&1 Internet, Ltd (1and1). First of all, they promised you cheap products but is a trap. You buy, during renewal, you pay more than double. The technical support team are a joke, they are careless and unhelpful and also it takes weeks to solve a simple problem.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I was charged for a renewal after being told I wouldn't be charged. This was on an account I was not using at the time, which resulted in my account being overdrawn. They took 15 days to refund through Paypal. At that time, I set all other products to disable autorenew. Two months later, I receive an invoice for a product I previously disabled autorenew. I call and am told I have to call to speak with cancellations the next day. I did not trust them to not charge me given the previous charge that happened despite being told I would not be charged. I expressed this to the customer service rep, and they may have noted that on my account.

When I called the next day to the cancellation department, the man cancelled my services. He told me this, and then basically hung up on me. I would not recommend this company, as I find their billing tactics to be deceptive. I feel like they are intentionally hoping people do not see they renewed and charged their accounts.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The most horrible company. I used the company services only two week because were not good, after one year and three month I received a letter from a collection company for $114.83 and never communicated with me to charge this money before. THIS IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND IRRESPONSIBLE COMPANY. NO RECOMMENDED.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Wonder how PayPal and credit card companies have not blacklisted them. They take money but your user id and password will never be sent to you. Good luck trying to dispute charges. I wish I had done bit of research before paying these scamsters.

Original review: April 10, 2018

A recent experience with 1and1 hosting company... Note: I've been a loyal customer with 1and1 for about 5 years now... No more now. We have a "Managed" account and our entire 1and1 server recently went down (April 6, 2018). The 1and1 Server techs were on vacation and could NOT get to our server until 3 days later. Meanwhile our E-commerce website was DOWN for a total of almost 4 days... blank page. Nothing. My customers were calling me trying to place orders... Could not do anything.

Tried calling the 1and1 Phone tech support. They said they could not do nothing until the "Server" techs in Germany got back from their vacations. Totally ridiculous and a Joke! Total max time a website/server should be down is usually about 1-3 hours. My website was down for almost 4 DAYS! The 1and1 support said some compensation will be given to us... They gave us a Free month of hosting which was about $300 US dollars... I probably lost about $3-4k of weekend sales! I want as many people to know about this incident as possible and will continue to tell what happened at 1and1.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Not sure where these people are but that's not the problem. They are mainly concerned with saving face and their own job security. Difficult problem? Need a real expert? You're out of luck with 1 and 1 because any demand for an escalation or a supervisor get you disconnected or on eternal hold! I have had this exact experience with the Asian call centers of other companies as well.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Clicked on a link for their email services and studied the page and found the fine print which pretty much made the ad headline meaningless so didn’t sign up.

Next week I get a bill saying we can’t bill us, "So please provide billing information to avoid disruption of your service." No service was identified just a small bill and pay up or lose service threat.

I responded for two weeks that I had no service with them and would not pay the fraud bill. I also packet sniffed their website and found it was skimming cookies from my computer upon visits which I’m sure was used to generate the fake account. Not satisfied with my no answer they phoned my company’s public phone number. When I still said no I got the "I can’t cancel the account even though I am billing" game. First it was transferred to new sales reps. Trained not to take no for an answer. Then after they ran out of those it was off to their fraud department where they tried to intimidate me into paying. They hung up when I told them I had all the notes and had recorded the entire call.

Original review: March 21, 2018

In January this year, I noticed two charges on my debit card that I did not recognize. One was for $5, which had already been reversed. One was for $19.99. It posted to my account on 05 Jan 2018. Both from 1&1 Internet. I am not, nor have I ever been, a customer of this company. I called my bank, cancelled my card and had the charge successfully returned. A couple weeks later, I received a call from a customer service representative of 1&1 Internet. He was inquiring if I was happy with their service. I informed him that I never placed an order, the charges were fraudulent, and I had already disputed this with my bank.

On 20 Mar 2018, I received a letter from Central Credit Services, LLC, based out of Jacksonville, FL. They are demanding ~$80 for services from 1&1 Internet. Today, I mailed my dispute letter to them. This company has a number of complaints against them with the BBB and a quick internet search reveals a long history of unethical, possibly fraudulent business practices. I have tried to contact 1&1 directly, but I am never able to get through on the phone and they do not have any email addresses posted. I have already filed complaints with the BBB, FTC & Michigan AG.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Fraudulent activity of 1&1 Internet Inc. This is the worst company I have come across. I bought a domain name from them and paid for one year and paid in full. Within 2 months, I was sent another invoice, which I disputed and my domain was deactivated in spite of the fact that I have proof of payment for one year.

Original review: March 14, 2018

They give your private info to another companies. As soon as I bought a domain and saved my phone number with them, people started calling for telemarketing. They are asking me if I need to build my new domains. I receive 40-50 phone calls a day. It is very frustrating. I also can't remove my phone number from their web page.

Original review: March 7, 2018

This is possibly the worst company I have ever dealt with. On January 17th, I got notice of hosting renewal for $95.88. Prior to that, I had only gotten domain renewal for $15.17. The notice for hosting said my card would be charged within 7 days. I did not want to renew the hosting, only the domain. I logged in to my account and removed auto-renewal and also emailed letting them know I only wanted to renew the domain. On January 22nd, my card was charged $111.05. I asked for a refund of $95.88 three separate times. Over a week after being charged, I filed an amount dispute with my bank. 1&1 still did not refund me.

I was finally issued a credit invoice on February 16th for $95.88, but did not receive the refund. Then, on February 20th, my card was charged for $15.17 for the domain, citing failure to pay. The charge for $15.17 was refunded (after multiple complaints). I am still waiting for the $95.88 to be refunded. I have received every excuse imaginable, including the "Solutions Manager" telling me on March 2nd that they had trouble processing the refund because I filed a dispute. He told me "that a dispute ceases all interaction between 1&1 and the card on file". If that is true, how did they both charge and refund me the $15.17 after February 16th on the same card? He also told me I would hear back on March 5th. It's now the 7th and still nothing. This has been a 7 week nightmare!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

So after waiting 51 hours for them to activate my account so I could get to the control panel, make my domain settings, setup emails and so forth, I get an email that they need to verify my account information and I need to email or fax them copies of my business registration, tax documents, ID and whatever! For two days my domain have been down because I let my previous host subscription expire as they got too expensive. Well at the least they had my full accessible account up within minutes when I signed up a year ago. Anyways 1&1 what a bunch of low life pieces of cow dung. Wasting more than two days of my time, instead of informing me of these requirements up front, actually before I signed up. Needless to say, I told them to go to hell, cancel my account and provide a full refund. I gave them 24 hours to do this or I will file a dispute with my bank as I have gotten no service or product yet from them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

This is the end of what has been 7 days of total hell having to deal with 1and1 internet. In my view this company should be shut down after what I have had to go through since last Monday 12th February 2018. It will actually take me hours to write up what has happened here so I hope that 1and1 can use all their documented notes and recordings of all phone calls in order to hopefully improve the level of service so that they do not cause another small business owner the level of stress and financial loss that 1and1 have caused myself and my business. I will be writing directly to their head of customer service Julian ** via the complaints@1and1.co.uk email to raise my complaint to the highest level possible. I simply find it absolutely disgusting a large multi-million pound business is allowed to operate and 'look after' so many small businesses.

On the surface, they look like they care and have good reviews, a picture of Julian ** which is featured on their email saying 'I wish you every success with 1and1' and a 5 star review should not be allowed to exist as it is completely false advertising. The fact that when you actual click on this link which says 'satisfied with our service' then take you to a callback page, you enter your number and then invites you to review 1and1 and leave a review and explain the complaint. You do this and then are invited to send your phone number for a call back about the complaint. You then receive the phone call and the person calling knows nothing about the complaint or why they are calling you.

This just demonstrates just one of the totally flawed systems 1and1 operate under. I can only assume this is setup in this way on purpose, to try and deflect the small business owners complaint. I would like to invite 1and1 to review all the notes on file for the acc. ** and then contact me directly to ensure that this matter has been closely looked into.

This started on Monday 12th Feb, when our business website and emails stopped working. Our domain name ** is (very unfortunately) registered with 1and1 many years ago. Unfortunately we had received no letter, email or any kind of correspondence that our 1and1 account was going to be suspended. On calling on the Monday to 1and1 we were informed that the account was suspended and that we needed to provide verification documents to prove ownership of the account. On request I sent my driver's license, this you never received and I was told I needed to wait 24hrs for you to be able to receive it - which is quite frankly shocking in the 21st century of electronic communication. Once you received the driver's license I was then told that this was not enough and that I needed to send proof of the business address in the form of a utility bill.

I sent this along with a 1and1 invoice that we have to prove our address and ownership. Again we were told we had to wait 24-48hrs for this to be received which is just unbelievable. Once you had confirmed you had received these documents, I was then told that your process team would be in touch within 24-48hrs. We waited until Wednesday and still nothing. We received our first email from process@ on Thursday 15th Feb, detailing that there was an outstanding balance of £13.19 on the account and that is why the account had been suspended. As detailed in the email sent by Jenna Dillane in the Process Team, that we would now receive an email in order to login to the account and pay the outstanding invoice and the account would be activated again. Despite requesting that the account be sent to this email as the email that Jenna set the account up was attached to the suspended account she still set this up incorrectly.

On email I requested it to be setup using this email (**). We then were able to get to a screen to login, at this prompt we realised we had no password setup and therefore called 1and1 support. We were advised at this point to request a 'forgotten password'. We did this and then reset the account only to discover this did not work. We then called 1and1 support again, and this was looked into further, with 1and1 testing why it would not work. We were then at this point told that we had to make payment of the outstanding £13.19 to your collections department before anything could be done. I find it absolutely staggering that we only found this out 4 days after the initial request was put in. If we had known this factor and were able to pay the outstanding on the Monday I would have assumed you could have activated the account at this point.

So on confirmation and payment to the collections team, I was then told on the Thursday that we would have to wait another 24-48hrs for this to be 'processed'. I cannot understand why when the payment has gone through and I have a receipt number that the account at this point cannot be reactivated or sorted out. It is now Friday 13.30 on the 5th day of this starting, and I have just called up 1and1. I had to wait 20 minutes on hold while the assistant looked into the issue only to have to explain everything to her again. Where all she said is that you have to wait 24-48hrs. And she was not able to answer the simple question of whether that was 24hrs from now or 24hrs from today. This has meant that my business has had no website or emails for an entire week. This has cost us dearly because of the total incompetence, false information, misleading messages, and lack of actually understanding what we are asking to get this sorted.

As soon as we get our account activated again and the domain names that we own re-established we will leave 1and1 immediately. I cannot understand why in this electronic age you cannot get your processes enabled quickly, and the fact that the amount of incorrect information we have been given along the way of this absolutely horrendous example of customer service and care has been allowed to happen. You are a multimillion pound company looking after small businesses such as my own, we have suffered greatly due to your terrible service here and it is quite simply so unfair and you should not be allowed to trade in this way. I will be taking this complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service with full documentation of what has gone wrong here. I hope on this 5th day that this can all be resolved although I have little faith in your services or customer support.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have several domain names registered with 1&1. When they knew that I am trying to host my domains in Google, they tried to stop that by sending a mail stating my activities are suspicious and I should submit my address proof to them. I do not trust them to keep my sensitive data. Never do any business with this corrupt establishment.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I wanted to reserve a domain. The site said it would cost $14.95, so I accepted. The next day I found out they charged my cc $2994. And they won't refund my money and they don't stand behind their 30 day money back policy even though the fault is 100% theirs. Scam company, run more like a criminal enterprise than anything else.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

LiveMNC Data Center server uptime is good from 1and1 host - Previously my TV channel website dedicated server hosted with 1and1 but server is down in 2 or 3 days so I decided to change my host and now taken server with LiveMNC.com data center. And now my websites are working fine without any issue. I'm impressed with highly technical sound tech team and speed of work and quick response and friendliness, I can solve some tech issues even in chat on LiveMNC website. I am recommend LiveMNC data center host.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We have thousands of domains with this company and are no longer able to manage the cancellations because of constant timing out issues. It now causes us hours of lost time calling in then have this manually done. I have many tickets open over this extending over a year... Really terrible. I now have another open ticket ** which they said escalates to the top. The last I heard was "you have too many domains in your packages". OK... So then I ask for their help to fix this issue and they say nothing can be done.

So here we are with thousands of domains and no way to manage the cancellation process. We are even having problems adding more domains to our contracts. Not sure what is going on, but if I could move we would... Because so many domains are configured independently it is nearly impossible to move. Not sure why a great customer spending thousands of dollars a month is treated this way.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

1&1 deleted, without notice, a domain and mailbox purchased from them on November 20. Upon calling them on the 29th, I am told it was marked as fraud and deleted. I queries why wasn't an email sent asking for further verification or warn of intent to delete same. They are apologizing and telling me that the mailbox was deleted and they only keep backup for 1 week. Our company placed an ad for a senior level position in our national newspaper on a Sunday, but an error was published and two characters switched in the domain name. This resulted in us purchasing the domain to offset this error. What company only keeps backup for a week??? This quality of service is ridiculous and their operations need to be audited and reviewed. Having a refund doesn't help in this case. POOOR COMMUNICATION. In their case 1 & 1 = -2.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Very Misleading. Didn't take me long to dump them. Purchased a dedicated server and then spent hours trying to upload cPanel and kept getting a fatal error after 85% done and did this several times, Same thing. At this point oh well I called support. They tell me while being rude and not getting nowhere. Finally they tell me at this point which took the 3rd person to tell me, "We don't offer root access on dedicated servers." Imagine a 1 TB server without one. Had 2 invoices billed but not substantiated and or incorrect. Will be traveling to Scranton, PA and would like to pass through Chesterbrook to see how really big their so called ISP is. Probably in a basement in a house. A product of the old days. I found Hivelocity.net and they back everything they say. Excellent support and puts a lot of others including them to shame. So Sebastian needs to get a grip. Stay away.

1&1 Company Information