Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Ionos by 1&1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I have used Ionos since they were 1&1, more than 8 years, without incident. Since they became Ionos, I have spent more time with tech support and solving issues than total in the 8+ years. Not only that, they disconnect you after you have held for half an hour, then tell you "oh, we weren't aware of that. Let us fix your issue". Why did they not apply an SPF to my domains? Apparently my emails have been going to receiver's junk boxes due to not having SPF applied to my domains, but I was only recently made aware of this.

I did wonder why my business dropped off, but never thought it could be because of something so simple that Ionos did not proactively add. They used to be the top rated hosting company, but they have disconnected my server for my website, let me other domains expire with no notice and now this. If this is considered "top notch" then we are all in trouble. When I asked the technician why this had not been done, he read the same sentence to me over and over, stating "an SPF has been added to your domains". Maybe he thought I was deaf....or stupid.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Bought a domain 18 months ago. Cancelled 6 months in and 12 months in. They have taken £12 a month off me since opening and £24 a month since cancelling. I’ve written to them and no response. Still taking money from me. Absolutely disgusting company. Avoid avoid avoid!!!

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Don’t be lured by the low price. These greedy unprofessionals will allow your account to be charges that you have never made. They offer services as you check out and I always make sure to opt out of any add on. I started getting charged for various never requested services. I was also called from numbers in Georgia asking if I needed help with my services. I followed up on each call by calling Ionos. Each time I’d be told that the numbers weren’t there and they’d be blocking the number from calling me. What? How? The worst is the refund process. I have called them no less than 20 times explaining I didn’t need services I was being charged for and that I’d never ordered it to begin with.

What makes the service so non user friendly is that they won’t cancel any charges without taking you through so much personal information only to be hung up on. They go through great pains to get so much of your personal information, banking, and hang up. I’ve been told I’d be getting a refund only to not receive one. I explained my compromise issue after they alerted me! I was yelled at and told that I had been misinformed about cyber breach. They started a new account twice for me that I’m locked out of. Still no refund for services and products not ordered or needed.

I am supposed to speak to only ONE representative who never calls back. Archie. Supervisors I was told would call back never have. They fought with my bank very hard to get charges I never made restored. I was charged $69 for a product. After over verifying myself they still never justified the charge or told me what I was being charged for. They can’t. They don’t know who I am they tell me. I tell them ‘ then stop taking my money!’ They was so much time just to hang up on you. The company is so inept that I have an account service representative that is never avail and is the only one who can fix the issue.

This is a very scammy business. My bank blocked them twice and they created a virtual card?!?!? They are very rude as well. One rep kept falling asleep on phone and kept saying hold on. Don’t be lured by the low prices they offer. Go to Godaddy for example. They actually service the client. I’m not always 100% thrilled with godaddy but not for the same reasons. They are legitimately available and I don’t have to through one man named ARCHIE! Bottom line, they keep charging over a year after I asked them to stop. They stopped when the bank Blocked them and broke right through again, Horrible experience. I don’t even have any access to the accounts. They know this. Go elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I received so many calls from them and eventually gave in to a free trial. The lady reassured me I wouldn't be charged anything and that there were 30 days to be cancelled. She explained I didn't even have to give any card information since I would not be charged. I wasn't sure how they got my info anyways but after hanging up I knew I'd have issues. I got an email saying I was charged $10 on my Paypal. I tried to call the number back immediately but of course it was only accepting voice messages. So I went online to cancel the service. But it wouldn't let me initially. So I waited a few more days and was charged another $15 on paypal. I went into paypal and cancelled the automatic payment to their company (which I hadn't set up in the first place bc I didn't give any card information).

I was finally able to cancel the package and still today I received an email saying that I had a past due balance that, if unpaid, would go to collections. Surely this was a mistake that would fix? I called and they asked for a pin. I explained there was no pin requested of me. I didn't have any account info expected the customer ID number on the email. After finally getting into the account with a temp pin emailed to me, the representative stated he could not give any credits but rest assured he would escalate the request and gave me a reference number. This company has ruined it for any cold calling company that wanted to give a "free" trial. I figured a free trial wouldn't hurt, but this company has proven me wrong.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

DO NOT USE IONOS. I recently started a non-profit organization. I signed up for a monthly contract with them and paid day of signing up. A few days later they charged me for $65 which was nowhere in any of the agreements that I had signed up for when I did sign up. I reviewed all of the invoices and emails, everything said monthly. Upon calling, I found out that the contract had magically changed all on its own from a monthly contract to a yearly contract. I called my assigned CS Agent who was not helpful, telling me that there wasn't anything I could do. I then called their direct CS line and found out not only was there something I could do about it, but that the contract I had signed had no yearly option. I was told that they would be switching my yearly contract to a slightly more expensive monthly contract (only by $5).

I never received an invoice for this new monthly contract, but assumed that it wasn't an issue, but I was still receiving emails about not being able to take the $65 out, and eventually threatening to take down my site. I called concerned, but they assured me that it was no issue. My site wouldn't be taken down. I then received an email that said they would take my site down in 5 days. I called, they said I had nothing to be worried about. On the day that they were taking my site down, I received a warning that it was being taken down. I called, they said I had nothing to worry about. A few hours later my site was down. I called, they said it would be back up in two hours. Site was still down days later. I called, they said it would be back up in two hours. Site was still down days later.

Then I was called to be reminded that I have a charge that wasn't accepted, and when I started to explain that I needed help and had some concerns the woman on the phone with me HUNG UP ON ME! I called back, they said that there was a bug in the system that they were trying to fix, but it had been escalated. They recommended that I pay the $65 and be refunded. Okay, so let's try that. Days later, my site was still down and I wasn't refunded. I emailed my direct contact and she informed me that I couldn't get a refund until this "bug" was fixed. At that point I was tired of being scammed and decided to end my contract. I was surprisingly issued a credit for my contract (still waiting to see if I actually receive the full amount).

Now, as I'm trying to set up new hosting, I'm unable to receive my domain. I searched my website and found out that a seller in Germany (**, Germany also happens to be where IONOS is based) wants me to pay $198 USD to obtain this domain. Upon finding this out, I decided to call IONOS again, and ask to be escalated to the highest person possible. This was the second call I made this morning, because the first person decided not to respond after sitting on the phone together for almost 20 minutes. Because I called on a Sunday, I have to wait until Monday to find out if I'm able to get my business's domain back after I spent $250 on merch, business cards, etc with the website on it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

BEWARE. I was unfortunate enough to become a victim of crime, which left me unable to access my banking and personal details for some time during the Covid 19 Pandemic. This led to an unpaid fee of £24. Consequently IONOS sent a reminder of payment which I didn't receive because I couldn't access my email. It took a mere 5 week for them to close my account, delete my website and tell me it's all gone and I have no comeback. £24? Really??

I do take the blame for not being able to foresee the future, the crime and the Pandemic that ensued and perhaps for not staying on hold for 8 hours a day to sort every detail out, however I did expect a little leeway regarding getting me back up and running. Did I get ANY help? NO. Just directed to Paragraph 13 of the Terms and Conditions. Please Note - They may dazzle with prices and offers, but sometimes it helps to have a little compassion and humanity in the business world, especially during Pandemics and/or other natural disasters and crimes. Thanks for nothing IONOS, I now face financial ruin.

Original review: July 2, 2020

They want you to send TAX documents, multiple forms of ID and financial and proof of business to setup a VPS? Are you kidding me?! I am not going to send my financials and personal information for a 2$ vps.... What a joke.

Original review: June 13, 2020

BEWARE OF IONOS HOSTING. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF HOSTING WITH THIS COMPANY. They are crooks and constantly have issues with their servers. We have been hosting with them for some time now and some sites are great but other issues such as forcing you to upgrade your website to php version and make you pay for it. When you call support they try to help you and put you on hold then tell you they can only fix your website if you are willing to pay them minimum of $70 US Currency

We tested our site and files on other web hosting and no issues, no problems, it is usually a server issue with IONOS AKA 1&1. They have good prices but mooch you in support so NO FREE SUPPORT. False advertising. We are stuck with them because we paid in advance, and they have scammed and cheated us and will not give us a refund. This is the worst web hosting company online. You need to find another host or get scammed. Do not use ionos.com or any of their affiliated sites to host your website. IONOS by 1&1 » Your Host Matters. A lot.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Used their service for years. Canceled one of my sites and hosting, however they only canceled the domain. I didn't realize it until recently but I had been paying for hosting for 3 years. They refuse to refund. They are a total scam and WILL steal from you. Do not use.

Original review: April 27, 2020

They have some decent reviews online for Virtual Private Servers (VPS), but after submitting my order for a simple Linux VPS using their form, they collected payment and.... nothing. Three days later (for something other companies can do in minutes) they informed me after much pestering that my order was cancelled because of fears of "online fraud" that I didn't provide contact information. Despite the fact that my account and order has all of the "missing contact information" and that they had processed payment. They now say they didn't process payment (my financial transaction IDs tell a different story) so I am unlikely to get a refund but - good technical reviews or no - there is no confidence this company does what they pretend to.

Ionos by 1&1 Company Information