1&1
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

1&1 Reviews

Original review: March 23, 2020

IONOS.COM is a complete and total scam. Do NOT use this company. Nothing works there, including the people. It is a scam business with the minimal security or customer service. If I could give the company a -10 I would. How the FTC allows such a company to operate in America is bewildering (it is based in Germany). I have filed an FTC complaint and anyone that has dealt with the company should also file a complaint. I will be taking the company to court with a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I own close to 250 domains through various companies. Unfortunately, working with IONOS has been one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I bought a domain through IONOS last year, and unbeknownst to me, the card on file expired and was unable to renew. (I also attempted to cancel the renewal, but that's another story). When IONOS was not able to renew the product on the card, rather than simply cancel the product renewal like any other company would do, IONOS instead threatened to send me to collections over the unpaid renewal. (WHAT??) Had I not caught this notification, who knows what would have happened. I definitely would NOT recommend IONOS to anyone, as any company that strong-arms their customers is a joke. I am also canceling my account as I will no longer be working with them in any way.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I have been a 1and1 customer since 2008. Ever since they were acquired by IONOS, their customer service and support are non-existent. Recently, they sent me an email that I will not have to pay $12.00 per month for my web hosting plan that for years I just paid $25.00 per annum. They never invoiced me and today, I learned that my account has been locked. Although they boast 24/7/365 support, I cannot get through to them and have been on the phone for over 2 hours waiting for someone to help me. They also cut off a friend's contract for non-payment of a spam filtering solution that he did not need. They literally cancelled his contract for %5.97 and shutdown his site. It took 1 week to sort everything out. How dare they shutdown a business email system and hosting for a service that was not needed. They have gotten worse since IONOS took over and I am moving away from them as soon as I can sort this out.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have used 1and1 web hosting for years for me and clients. Long ago they were a great company. However for the past few years they started creating add on billing if your websites didn't meet their desired versions of software used such as php. It was very annoying. Then IONOS bought them out and it got worse. The last straw was without checking with me they canceled my contract, gave me a partial accounting credit on fee I had paid to renew that contract 2 months prior and then signed me up for a new contract that cost more and applied the partial credit and then billed me the difference on the new contract. For sure this is unethical and most likely illegal under any basic contract law.

I went ahead and moved my sites and canceled my account. Then in the process of canceling the account I made sure that I got an exact number I would be refunded for the billing dept. Today I got an email from them confirming the refund, it wasn't the number we talk about. They kept about 5% of the refund amount with no explanation. I would not recommend doing business with this company. In my experience their billing practices have been very predatory and opaque.

Original review: March 10, 2020

FRAUDULENT AND HORRIBLE! RUN! I received an alert that an unauthorized charge had been made to my payment card. Upon learning who the fraudulent payment was made to, I contacted the company immediately (the same day) to advise them of the fraud. I was assured the fraudulent charge was reversed or credited back to me and would be received within 3-5 business days. I was told I would receive confirmation emails of the refund, etc. but I did not. I questioned how they gained access to my payment card and received no answer.

After receiving no documentation a refund was underway, I contacted the company the following day and learned nothing had been processed, but was assured it was processed that day. This became a vicious cycle with me being lied to by every department and representative I spoke with - including supervisors! I still have not received a refund for a fraudulent charge after two weeks which is in violation of their own company policy of 3-5 business days. They lie to cover themselves by stating it takes 5-7 business days for refunds but could not show this in writing.

Ultimately, yesterday, I was told by supervisor Todd ** that he/they (being the back office) had no idea when I would receive my refund and that it was a system 'glitch'. Even if there was a glitch, no one had apprised me of such out of the many representatives I spoke with to try and resolve this matter. I asked to speak to back office and file a complaint. Todd became indignant stating he is the 'customer-facing' point of contact for my case and I can not speak to the back office. I told Todd if there is a system glitch, I request they overnight me a check for my funds, considering the circumstances. He became indignant again nearly scoffing and stating the company does not issue checks. Also, Todd lied about his job title. I specifically asked what that job title is and he initially stated team leader. When I asked later in the conversation, he all of a sudden was a 'Retention and Sales Team Manager'.

Just a liar through and through is what Todd and all of them are. They are thieves, and I have unwaveringly advised them of the repercussions of first stealing my money, and second refusing to return it - fraud and theft crimes. But when Todd stated to me I am the ONLY customer of thousand customers this is occurring to, I concluded I was being singled out and retaliated against for reporting the fraudulent charges. There is SO much more to this tale of the FRAUDULENT LYING THIEVES called 1 and 1 IONOS. I still have received no refund to date, and it is unfortunate to have to enlist law enforcement involvement in this matter. DO NOT TRUST THESE THIEVES FOR ANYTHING. They steal your money and retaliate when you identify them as the fraudulent thieves they are.

Below are the names/job titles given for all the fraudulent lying thieves at this company I have worked with thus far. Leon ** - initial point of contact about fraudulent charge who failed to refund fraudulent charge as promised, Ivery - Retention, Reggie - My website, Erwin, Maurice - Cancellation/Retention - blatant liar who lied about refunding my funds that were fraudulently acquired; told me to call and ask for him with any further issues; called next day to speak to him because all he told me was lies and nothing happened as he said it would; pretended he didn't recall, became indignant, and rudely disconnected our call transferring me to a department that supposedly did not handle refunds. Tania, Cedric, Loren - lying so-called supervisor in Cancellation Dept.; failed to process refund. Ivery (again), Todd **. GO ELSEWHERE. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS SHAM OF A COMPANY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I have been using 1&1 for years to both register domain names and host them (and get email addresses, etc. based on the hosted domains). They have never been great, but have been basic and useful. But over the past few years I began to notice that their customer service took a dive. Their billing and communications are obtuse. Their self-service site and other aspects of product management have become overly complex.

They failed to notify me of a billing problem because my identity had been stolen and my credit card number had changed. They refused to leave a message on my phone and didn't contact me by my current email (using instead a very old address I had updated on their site long ago). So they turned me in to a collection agency. I tried to resolve this by phone but they kept hanging up, which seems suspicious. I am leaving 1&1 immediately and transferring all content elsewhere. Buyer beware. Their prices may be low, but their tactics are lower.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Good lord! 1&1 customer tech support was never great, but now it's literally non-existent. I pay a lot of money for dedicated cloud server and domain hosting each year and I expect a fair amount of support in exchange for that. I rarely call them, but when I do, you can bet there is a big problem. I called them to help reset a password on the server. Yes, sounds simple right? Not so. So I get on with their support staff and all they do is forward you wiki articles. Yes, you have a problem they literally hire staff to forward ridiculously "purposely made difficult" articles for you to self-serve and solve your own problem.

I cannot begin to tell you the unnecessary complexity of changing a server password with 1&1. It's literally asinine. Then... get ready for this... they hit you with the up-sell. They let you know they have a tech staff that can handle your problem for $75 for every half hour. $75!!! I told the rep I can do the work but need help walking through the KVN console and he said he cannot help and will end the call. As expected, he hung up when I continued asking for his help (for the record I was courteous and calm). This company is a complete scam.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I request Consumer Affairs to pin this review on top, their support is crap, you write email. They reply back after 9 or 10 hours and sometimes don't even bother to reply, I got charged $140 on 6th Feb without my confirmation, I sent mail and got a reply, "We refunded the money," today is 14th Feb and still money is not refunded. Moreover today again I got charged $115. I don't know for what, the live chat is also crap, they won't solve your issue and ask you to send email where you get reply if you are lucky, now let's see how reply here from Ionos, I need all my money back with compensation for charging me without my confirmation/knowledge and I want it right now, and yes never use your credit card in their system. There is no way to remove it if you want to.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

EVERYTHING! The alleged customer service repeatedly ignores your requests and questions/the support ticket emails they open and then oddly sends you a survey asking HOW DID WE DO (as if they resolved the pending issues), ignores the problems of their website and domain services, the email accounts do not show/sync/bring up your emails, each separate domain does not have their own account number and this glitch prevents you from setting up your account email address for each separate domain, the email accounts do not allow you to SELECT ALL (check mark all) but instead opens the email your finger starts at when you're only trying to select all, Google and the website shows a solicitation of $1.00 for first year for domains but when you go to use the offer it charges you $10.00 instead which is illegal (Bait & Switch) and willful False Representation and False Advertisement.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Horrible tech support. Forgetting the fact that I have to call to get anything done when all I need is to send an Email and I can't. Yesterday morning my site loaded but one section wasn't behaving like it should. Works in my Development environment but not on IONOS servers. I called and spoke with a Tier 1 agent and got no where. I get a senior agent, which I now wonder if he wasn't just a Tier 1 agent posing as Tier 2, who tells me they don't support ASP.NET 4.8. We only support up to 4.0. It was late and I just wanted the pain to end so I said "Okay I'll downgrade to 4.0." Then hung up and went to bed. Go to the site this morning and now the entire site doesn't load. Sigh. I look up my plan on their site and look at that...They do support 4.8. Back to the phone I go.

Get another Tier 1 who reads the notes and said "Well Sir, you were told we don't support 4.8." Yep that's what I was told but your site, the site I based my decision to host my site on your servers, says you do. I then had to help the agent navigate their own site just so he could see it. "Well Sir, it says we support ASP.NET 4.8 here. Can you use that instead?" Really?!?! I just said that's what I use. I repeat to the agent that the site was working yesterday morning and now it's not. You guys changed something. It's the exact same code now as it was yesterday. "Did you make any updates to the code Sir?" I actually had to ask if he was even listening to me. As I said I'm using the exact same code now as I did yesterday. I've canceled my service that I paid a year for and will be looking for another hosting service.

1&1 Company Information