1.10/5

1and1

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

114 1&1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Support team I have a HUGE problem working with you. I do understand you don't absolutely care about such a small customer as I but you do absolutely nothing to help. My customer ID **. I had outstanding invoice #**. I tried to pay before 1 month had been over in order to keep my web-site at your back-up. I had 3-4 days to pay and I truly tried to do so. My account was deactivated and I spent 20 minutes talking with your support. He told me that I should tell him my credit card number with CVC code and there is no any other way to make a payment. It is damn crazy! I was forced to order a new card. It took hell of a time but 23 of January I called again and the support told me I can pay via PayPal and send me invoice again. I paid and the support told me account will be activated within 2 days.

A week passed and I called again. Girl on support told me I need to pay more. It was a really strange because I paid, according the invoice till 11.06.2019 for all the services. I told that payment had been made and I need my account to activated. She replied invoice will be recalculated and the money will be send me back. It is also quite strange because I need activated account not the money. 30 of January I received invoice (in attachment) showing $71 had been send back to me.

Today is 10 of February. Neither money had been received nor account had been activated. Because of your useless support: I lost a web-site. I paid more than $5K (they didn't told me I can pay via Paypal). For more than a 3 week after I paid I my account hadn't been activated. For more than a 10 days money you so-called sent me back hadn't been received.

Please tell me only ONE SIMPLE THING - WHAT SHOULD I DO ACTIVATE MY ACCOUNT!?!? I just need my account to be active, it is SIMPLEST thing. Sent me PayPal invoice or any explanation but please don't make me call you again!!! It is damn too expensive to make international calls and talked with useless support for an hours and MAKE MY ACCOUNT ACTIVE!!! Please, I need this account ASAP!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Just got stung for £120 for additional "services!!!" Watch out for the fake offers! It's how they make the majority of their money. I own many sites but every time I gave IONAS (1&1) the benefit of the doubt, I end up regretting it because of the hidden charges. Hidden charges and vague terminology confuse the user into paying for services they didn't need (and they'll of course tie you into a contract for the additional services which isn't stated at the beginning). The user then ends up paying many times over the original price offer which initially looks cheap compared to other providers but isn't in reality. Take screenshots of the signup process to protect yourself!

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

No one from 1&1 or IONOS could answer our concern why email we sent to a Gmail account takes a couple of days before the recipient receives it. Have been having this issue since Oct 2018. Have been their customer since 2004, but only having this problem lately. Will be switching our account to another provider, just have to figure out how to transfer our domain.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

What everyone is saying about them about still taking your money even though you canceled is true. Then when they refund your money they send you to collections. This company needs to be shut down. I see a huge class action lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I spend more time calling Tech support than working on my site. The problem is they have far too strict security demand. 1. Can't see your password as you type it in. 2. If you get the very complicated password they force upon you wrong just 2 -3 times they lock you out. 3. Then the password reset is a joke as it sends you a link to reset but that opens a page demanding a 12 digit code which they never send you. You try this reset more than 2 times and they totally lock you out of your control panel. Even the tech support with remote view could not find the 12 digit code. 1&1 sucked but now with this really stupid company IONOS nothing works

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Actually not much I can add to the previous reviews. Just that this happened to me too. I turned off the automatic renewal function on purpose to avoid the automatic renewal. I did not get any invoices. I got one phone call and told the representative I don't need the service anymore. 2 month later I get a call from a debt collector!!! In order to get out of the contract they wanted me to cancel it and still make a payment for a full year and told me they would refund me partially. Still waiting for the refund. What a criminal organization is this. Stay far, far away!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

How on earth is this company allowed to exist? It is like organized crime. They will trick you into everything. They will sign you up to contracts which they won't actually show you. They will make false charges and then literally send debt collectors after you when you don't pay. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Beware, this company will ** you where it hurts, in the wallet. They charge your account for false fees, auto renew your contracts, and make sure that their billing emails make it to your spam folder. So convenient for an email company. Spam folder. WOW.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I hosted a Christian church website with 1&1 for many years here in North Wales. But over time, their web hosting fees started rising rapidly. One month, I received several notices of increase charges. Because I didn't want to pass the hosting costs on to my church, and couldn't afford the increased costs myself, I decided to terminate my contracts with 1&1.

That was when the trouble really started. I expected to have to pay some sort of cancellation fees. What I didn't expect was that 1&1 would go after me for MORE money by means of a debt-collection company! Because I had had no previous experience with debt-collection companies, I stupidly paid the money: over £100 in all. I was simply afraid of having my credit rating blackened. Later, I discovered that the debt-collection company, Arvato, are intimately linked with 1&1 and that the best thing to do is to ignore their bogus requests for payment. You can check all this for yourself by simply type "Arvato 1&1" into Google's search box. Bottom line: avoid 1&1 like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have used 1&1 for over a decade, through multiple mergers and changes. While there are issues with any digital serves I can honestly say (as a paying; multiple-accounts shared and dedicated servers) that nothing is 100%, however, I have always had my issues resolved. Let's all understand that pricing changes, fact. So when we get through all of these notes and I know some have had a bad experience it only takes a moment to keep on top of automatic requests from them. Yes - A new account I created was tagged 'fraudulent' I resolved. Domain prices changes (so does my wireless phone bill). To clarify I do not work for 1&1 and do not know anyone that does. Yes - 1and1.com still owes me commision fees, I recommend them for the services I have come to know, use and depend on.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

1&1 have renewed my contract without contacting me to explain why this was attached to an old bank card. They have now passed the £24 bill onto a debt collector for a domain I no longer use nor do I want. They have also suspended the domain so even if I did pay the account isn't available for me to use?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

When it came time to renew my domain names, I couldn't find the exact price in the renewal notices I had gotten from 1&1. When I finally gave up and called them to ask, the rep lied and said 'Don't worry, the price is the same as last time.' False- they had raised their prices. After I moved the names to a different registrar they refused to give me a refund. I had to claw the money back through my credit-card issuer. Maybe it's no surprise that 1&1 is changing their name. Their new name will be "Ionos". Beware of them under either name, they're dishonest.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

WARNING. WORST SERVICE 1&1. In July 2018, I tried to call 1&1 for THREE days to ask for support and unable to connect to its phone number, which is provided from the website. We were really pissed as our work got delayed. We were about to upgrade the contract but started feeling bad about the support 1&1 provide. I did only one year contract with 1&1, somehow they automatically renew my contract. Right, I thought this company is just a joke because of its bad service provider. But no, they start playing Debt Collector game. It is only $30.cc ($11.cc for 1&1 and $18.cc for the debt collector), we are as a team will give you ONE star and very disappointed reviews.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

They have been charging me for domain hosting without my permission. I signed up for emails only. Spent 6 hours on the phone without reaching a single competent person. NO supervisor and my company emails, that I paid to have stored, are lost. There are no supervisors or managers to handle any problems. They only have accountants to repeatedly charge your bank account without permission. Horrible. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

1&1 lured me with their discounts. I bought their hosting and domain, but they kept me on hold without any notice. When contacted customer care, their arrogant executive were irritating. Later got a mail saying they have terminated my account because I am fraudulent. There was just few details missing about me, they charged full money from me, and haven't refund it yet. When asked to customer they ask me to wait, now waiting from long time. Great way to earn money 1&1...

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Beware of this company. I pay this fraud company to book my domain. This company makes my domain on hold once I pay money, If they people have some issue with my domain or anything else they should raise issue before payment but once I pay money, in my login panel shows domain on hold, bloody **. I book domain on my company name. There is copyright issues in there, my preferred name is totally fresh but they bloody ** mail me that wait for 24 hours, That's means I'll get my domain after domain hours but in that 24 hours time someone other book my same domain from another website. I lose my Domain Access forever and lose money also.

Please don't buy anything from this fraud company, They always takes 24-48 hours in domain booking. This is bloody suck company. If you wish to lose money and waste your time so you have great offer provided by this scammer corporation. I got this company details from Google ads but my experience is enough bad. I never suggest anyone to buy anything from this fraud company, I still did not get refund from this fraud company. Please beware from barking dogs and 1&1, because both makes you in problem.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. I deactivated my autorenewal and cancelled my domain. They still took money from my account anyway and bounced my bank account. And then when I called, after keeping me on hold a stupid length of time, they ARGUED with me over whether or not I deactivated my autorenewal. In the end, I MIGHT get my money back but they certainly will not pay for the mistake of overdrawing my bank account by taking a fee they were NOT authorized to take. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT sign up with these people. They are a rip-off.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Most horrible experience!!! I requested to 1&1 Internet Inc for host and transfer my domain services, but 16 hours later I saw it that they were adding a service that I did not order. I called and requested to their customer services to cancel everything because I did not want to have any business relations with them. This information was provided in writing to the company, but they are still charging me for a service never received and refused to read my emails or review the recorded calls, so I can conclude that they have harassing business practices. Can someone advise me what steps do I have to follow to stop this company harassment?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

These absolute scumbags decided to auto register for me for domains that I didn't want, threatened me with debt collectors if I didn't pay their ludicrous rates and then called them to my elderly parents' address after I told them I didn't live in the country anymore. Look online at the other feedback. Avoid this company like the plague. I will not stop until I have escalated this everywhere. Vile company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

1&1 never could get our website up and running. We let our registration lapse and they tried to hold it for ransom for $90. After calling Customer Service we were told they would release it in 60 days. They did not keep their word. We did a search for our domain name and found out that they registered for themselves for another year - even though our domain is nothing special and no one would want it - unless you want to collect ransom. I wish we could give negative stars.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have woken up consistently for the past 2 weeks with my account locked almost daily for random reasons that I was not made aware of or were beyond my control as the company made claims they were not able to charge my card on multiple accounts for $4.99 to $9.98. The money was available on all cards provided to this company. I was then sent communication that my payment needed to be wired which was done from my bank account with Bank of America with confirmation sent to 1and1 with screenshots and confirmation number.

Upon awakening as of 8/9/18 a new invoice was sent overnight with a dunning fee dated 8/9/18 and my account was locked again. Waking up to new issues with my sites not properly running after the yearly payment has already been made directly affects my business operations and is beyond unprofessional. I would not recommend anyone attempting to develop a digital presence online to entrust their hard work in the hands of 1and1 and I will be contacting my attorney in regards to any business losses in regards to this.

Original review: July 26, 2018

1&1 stole my business domain because I had a friend help me set up my website - who got suckered into using them. They held it for a year and then set up a side business called SEDO and tried to sell it to me for $685 USD. I’m still in the process of getting it back - very slowly and very frustrating. Avoid these guys like the plague. They are completely unethical.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I bought the domain from them, however all of a sudden they blocked my account saying because of the security reason they locked my account and they need my government issued ID. I provided them the ID and they said everything is good and within few minutes I can use my domain. But it has been 3 days. They still locked my domain for no reason. They are saying it's a system glitch from their end and they may need 2 weeks to fix this issue. So ridiculous!!! Customer service and security team were very rude.

Original review: June 20, 2018

As previous commenters have stated below this is a fraudulent and unethical company. I was suckered into my first year contract with a $12 offer, in the subsequent year I paid $100 for the renewal -- way overpriced for the service. So at the end of the 2nd term I let my card expire and I let the account lapse as I no longer needed the service. Instead of just terminating my account they sent a bill of $126 to collections! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I used to have a domain with this company which is expired. They kept contacting me to renew that domain but I did not do it because I am no more longer need that domain as the project associate with that domain name is called off. So, I thought it fine for the domain to be disable and expired. Then later, I purchase a new domain name with them due to their heavy promotion and the price is almost 50% cheaper than Namecheap. So, I proceed with my order and paid them via PayPal & I thought the process won't take more than 30 minute to get my new domain. But they hold my order & my payment for more than 48 hours. Then, I got an email stating I owe them a debit related to the expired the domain that I used to have with them.

What is the hell is that? Why should I pay for a domain that I no longer need it. They scammed you with so call contract that link to the domain that I have to pay. They force me to pay for something that I do not use. They hold my payment for 7 days otherwise the order will be cancelled if no payment done for the renewal. I do not recommend this company to anyone as you lot of better choices in the market. Do not get fooled with their discount and low prices as they have a lot of hidden agenda and unclear policies. Stay away from 1&1/1and1, their scrap and super slow processing order.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had screenshots of all I did on the transfer, because I heard they were scammers. I had never got the corresponding emails you get from them when you unlock, turn off proxy and get EPP code. I had called tech support at 1&1.com several times to see why emails were not sent. The domain expired yesterday. They want me to pay to renew with them first and then transfer to new registrar having to pay new registrar again. That defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do, that is why I initiated transfer last month. They say it never happened, Thank god for GPRS data export too, that in addition to my screenshots proves they are liars. GO anywhere but here. And research them on the web, there is a lot of bad stuff written about them.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I do not recommend anyone to 1&1 Internet, Ltd (1and1). First of all, they promised you cheap products but is a trap. You buy, during renewal, you pay more than double. The technical support team are a joke, they are careless and unhelpful and also it takes weeks to solve a simple problem.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I was charged for a renewal after being told I wouldn't be charged. This was on an account I was not using at the time, which resulted in my account being overdrawn. They took 15 days to refund through Paypal. At that time, I set all other products to disable autorenew. Two months later, I receive an invoice for a product I previously disabled autorenew. I call and am told I have to call to speak with cancellations the next day. I did not trust them to not charge me given the previous charge that happened despite being told I would not be charged. I expressed this to the customer service rep, and they may have noted that on my account.

When I called the next day to the cancellation department, the man cancelled my services. He told me this, and then basically hung up on me. I would not recommend this company, as I find their billing tactics to be deceptive. I feel like they are intentionally hoping people do not see they renewed and charged their accounts.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The most horrible company. I used the company services only two week because were not good, after one year and three month I received a letter from a collection company for $114.83 and never communicated with me to charge this money before. THIS IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND IRRESPONSIBLE COMPANY. NO RECOMMENDED.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Wonder how PayPal and credit card companies have not blacklisted them. They take money but your user id and password will never be sent to you. Good luck trying to dispute charges. I wish I had done bit of research before paying these scamsters.

1&1 Company Information