1and1

Compare Web Hosting

Research top Web Hosting recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Terrible company. I have been client for 3 years and cancelled my contract in July 2016 for a contract ending in October 2016. But because it was "only" 2.5 months before the deadline they thought it would be fair to prolong my contract for ANOTHER YEAR! Outrageous. DON'T GET A CONTRACT WITH THESE GUYS!!! Also their internet is slow.

After acquiring an expired account from a former company, we went through the process of clearing the debt owed by that company in order to regain access to the assets. Only after then calling in and spending 2 hours working with various inept customer service reps were we informed that the domain assets we paid to restore had been completely deleted, and that we would need to create a new account to try and reestablish control of those domains that were still available. We were also asked to submit a customer change form, which we did.

After receiving only a cryptic email indicating there was nothing to transfer to the new account, I had to spend another hour and a half on the phone with 1&1, being transferred between various reps, none of which seemed to understand how to help me, only to land on a particularly rude and uncooperative rep that simply informed me 1&1 was not will to accept the customer name we applied to the account, a name we had used for a previous account, and had subsequently simply refused the account creation. Upon asking to speak to a manager about this, I was refused service due to the fact that the account number we were given had been arbitrarily deactivated by 1&1.

Essentially, 1&1 refused to provide ANY service or support for a paying customer. Furthermore we were never given ANY indication of the account termination, forcing me to waste valuable company time trying to figure out what they had done and why. We are now being forced to recreate another account with a name 1&1 considers appropriate simply to gain access to resources we have paid to gain access to. Avoid this company at ALL COSTS!!!

Unable to use newer TLD, poor site layout and very hidden (and sometime mislabeled!) paths to do certain tasks such as pointing external domains to the host. Cancellation is poor, attempted to cancelled 3 times now (with the first time being "confirmed" in May) and still being billed for features that were automatically added. Charging for extended PHP support on a basic html web page is rubbish. Avoid if possible and find another host.

Re; 1and1.com Website Provider. Asked for refund for their "List Local Service", because, after over 3 months, I still have zero "listings without errors" on my website. Was told today (Sept. 7, 2016) "we don't give refunds after 30 days". This is exactly the opposite of me being told that I can have a refund at any time, if I am not satisfied with their service. Now, they refuse to speak with me, because I told them, that "I was told the exact opposite", and "recorded the conversation". AND, THEN they told me that they do not allow their employees to speak with anyone, if they are being recorded, even though THEIR message on the phone, is..."Calls are recorded for Customer Quality Assurance".

This is disturbing to me, as I ALWAYS record ALL of my Business Conversations. This "practice" of mine, was vetted through the F.B.I. (FIVE Special Agents), on NUMEROUS occasions, and I have been doing so for over 25 years. I do this for 3 reasons. 1. We live in a "he said, she said" world. 2. People lie to me every day. 3. I am an independent Special Investigator. From experience, I know...that there is ONE reason, that someone would be unwilling to be recorded. That reason, is that they lie, and don't want to get caught, so they use that "blanket excuse" to prevent you from doing so. Following this posting, I will file a complaint with the BBB, ic3.gov, and any other agency I can find.

Additionally, while being a 1 and 1 Customer, I have repeatedly been told the EXACT OPPOSITE by several of their employees, when asking questions about the poor functionality of my Website. One of those times, their employee made a statement (another excuse), that contradicted himself...in the SAME SENTENCE. It's like saying..."It's exactly the same, only different", which is "an impossibility". Unfortunately, I've found that most people would rather lie, than admit that they are wrong. It's rampant in our society today. To protect myself, I record everything. A policy that has saved me thousands of dollars. So... now I am at the point where they won't talk to me. And I don't blame them a bit. But, again, there is only ONE REASON, that they chose this "option" (blanket excuse). They don't want to get caught in a lie.

After reading the horrendous problems that so many people seem to be having with their "false billing", I have canceled both of my Business Account Cards they had on file. I have been given, what I call, "misinformation" many, many times, which I call a "circle of lies". Apparently, NO ONE at 1 and 1, is humanly capable of making a mistake. Their Web Page states that their Website mechanism is "Easy to Use". Nothing could be further from the truth. I've had problems from the start (OVER a year ago), which they consistently attribute to ME doing "something wrong", even though I recorded their conversations, and did EXACTLY what they told me to do. Doesn't add up. I've "re-set" ALL of the pages of my Website, OVER 100 TIMES.

FINALLY, I paid a highly qualified IT Technician $300 to look into it for me. He informed me that NOTHING was "as it should be". The metatags were all wrong (I don't even know what a metatag is), and NOTHING will work, as is. So I contacted 1 and 1, and explained to them what I'd done (hired someone to find the problem), and that I wanted it fixed. Their "counter statement" was..."Who built your Website?" I explained that "I did." They proceeded to tell me (again) that it was all my fault, and that "I" needed to fix my metatags. I cannot, by ANY stretch of my imagination, call this an "Easy to Use" Website Provider. If I had been told that I needed to be able to "write (computer) code" to set up this "Easy to Use Website", I would never have ventured into it in the first place.

Now, I am being blatantly lied to again, telling me that I cannot get a refund. The reason for my refund request, is that THEIR SERVICE DOESN'T WORK! BUT...I spoke with MORE than ONE representative of their company, confirming that a refund was available, even after 30 days. Now, according to the F.B.I., "Recorded conversations always win in Court...always." So, now I have to take Legal Action, if I want results. I will do so, in hopes that I can save others from this kind of Predatory and Fraudulent Business Practice, and advise others to do the same. If it was possible to give this company a "negative" rating, I would need a scale bigger than from 1 to 10. Simply put..."I can't be wrong all the time". Turns out, I was right. I learned long ago, that someone that doesn't keep records for accountability, has a reason. Something to hide, is that reason.

On a good note, after they were told that it was their malfunction, and not mine, my Website was "fixed". The "fix", lasted for 6 DAYS, then the "Optimization Text" kept being changed (again) to text that prevented my Website from being found. I fixed the mistakes again, 2 days ago. Then I was told another lie...That "Optimization, is only a suggestion" (though I was REPEATEDLY told that it had to MATCH). Exactly the opposite of what everyone else had explained. Without my recordings, I would have ZERO recourse. Good luck to you all. I don't recommend doing business with this company, unless, 1. you're insane, 2. like to waste your time, 3. have too much money and like to be frustrated. I think that I fit into category #1. Seeking Attorney.

I tried to cancel my subscription for a particular domain. (Plus a host of others which 1&1 tried to add to my subscription.) The process of cancellation by using control panel is tortuous and designed to fail. You have to talk to one of their representatives to cancel. I did this by email. Got a confirmation back from them that cancellation was complete. Followed 14 days later by a debit from my credit card. I have reported this company for fraud. This sort of activity brings the whole community into disrepute.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Completed all paperwork for a proper account transfer to 1&1's specifications. The only thing I couldn't do (the only thing they don't require) was delete my payment information without putting new information in. The new account owner was informed by me that payment information needed to be updated. At transfer, 1&1 no longer allows the old owner to remove their payment information as they are not the account owner. They initially told me that I needed to contact the new account holder and have them reimburse me. They still will not remove my payment information without the consent of the account holder. They stated that the only other option was for the new account holder to cancel the account and then I could be refunded through them, but as they are unable to contact her, they cannot issue me a refund. How can they have a documented ownership change, but refuse to remove the prior owner's payment information before or after?

Worst company for domain registration with hidden fees. Few days ago I registered 4 .com domains from 1&1 which cost of £19.40 exc vat. Later the same day, I registered two more .me domains making a total of £40.06 (including vat). For both transactions I paid by card. Next day, I received an email with an invoice attached for £40.06 which will be be taken from my card in the next few days. I rang up 1&1 customer service which are based in the Philippines and I explained that I already paid at the checkout. I was told that they did not take the £40.06 at the checkout as they have to wait 24 hours and that they will be taking the money from my card in the next few days. I thought that's ok, fair enough and hang up. The day I registered the domains, I had £54.87 in that particular bank account.

The following day, I received another email from 1&1 that the payment has been declined and another from my bank that charges will be applied for failed transaction. I logged in my online bank account and on my statement showed '£19.40 - Pending transaction withheld 1&1 Gloucestershire GB' and an available balance of £35.47. I called my bank and they confirmed that 1&1 is holding £19.40 as well as tried to take a payment of £40.06. I called 1&1, and after spending nearly 2 hours explaining to 3 different agents (also 2 more agents picked up but just decided not to talk and simply laugh), a support agent named Nel told me that this is how you shop on 1&1.

He explained to me that you need to have x1.5 (times one and a half) of the amount if you want to buy something on 1&1. Nel also told me that this is normal and this is how shopping is done online. I said to him that I have never heard of anything like this in the UK, I even have a few websites selling goods to the public. I asked him if this is mentioned in the T&C. He promised to email me the links but it's been few days now and still hasn't.

So basically, if you want to buy something from 1&1 for £10, they will first hold £10 from your card, then invoice you for £10, then take another £10 from your card and when they feel it's time to return the first £10, they may do so. This is completely unfair, as I had enough funds for registering those domains. Today it's been 5 days since this happened and 1&1 is still holding £19.40 + I will have to pay charges to my bank. I sent 6 emails to billing & complaints department and still no reply. They are just ignorant, I suppose, as they already have my money. BEWARE before making any purchase or registration with such a low level company and with agents in the Philippines who lie, ignore and don't understand the meaning of customer service we request in the UK.

Email support can take up to 2 weeks for a response. Phone support is non-existent. Had to contact that BBB just to get them to cancel my account.

I signed up with them a year ago, and they told me (in an invoice) that on July 1st that my domain had been auto renewed. That day I logged into their site and canceled my domain renewal and it said that it was canceled, however they still charged me. Calling them they claimed to have sent me emails warning me that it would have renewed, but I cannot find them. Perhaps they got filtered to spam, however I doubt that they ever sent any such emails, since their invoice came through alright. I am very dissatisfied with the company and will never buy from them again.

I've been with 1and1 www.1and1.com for nearly 10 years. Stability of service is acceptable. Communication is absolutely woeful. Only email and phone. Phone will keep you forever (calling from Australia to USA is a serious dent on your finances). Email is slow and they don't really get it. Their admin interface is one of the very worst - it doesn't have a standard cPanel and their proprietary interface deliberately confiscates anything that would allow the user have control over your site. One of the worst thing about 1and1 is their deliberate practice of not letting you go. They won't release your domain names for transfer. I could go on and on but let me say this in conclusion: If you are a masochist who loves suffering, 1and1 is for you.

Paid 27 with my debit card for my domains and ecommerce shop. They said it would take 24 hours for my shop to be set up and I would receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. It has now been 72 hours and they have debited my card and I cannot access the website as it has been locked so I cannot access my account, I telephoned them two times yesterday. On both occasions they said I would receive a callback within 2 hours which never happened. I am off to citizens advice on Monday. Buyer beware...

I got one domain with them and then they called me and pestered me immediately. No other registrars do that. I did not authorize domain renewal and I'm not interested in domain renewal, and yet they e-mailed me a formal looking letter like there's some big debt problem with personalized information on it saying PayPal did a reversal of an approx $15 charge. Good. Go away. Cancel my domain/account whatsoever and quit stalking people. Your business should be shut down.

Ordered a domain. Apparently the purchase was never confirmed although I was never contacted about it, and two months later the domain is no longer available. What a waste of time. Only phone support. What an absolute joke.

I asked several times to cancel the service, they refused to do so and told me that it would end at the completion of the contract. When the contract ended they recharged me for another year of service and immediately sent me an email saying they have applied a credit but it will take 7 business days to receive. My bank has nothing that says the transaction is being refunded and I am currently out of almost 100 dollars. They are not responding to my emails and the one they did respond to is labeled as spam on their end.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Refunded me for all the charges in 2016 (only after submitting the BBB and Consumer Affairs reviews).

Ben of Linden, NJ on

Original Review

Horrible experience!!! I have been a domain investor for a while and manage a portfolio of 300+ domains. Some of my customers refused to accept domain transfers directly to 1&1 and complained about that registrar. I was a little surprised because I was under the impression that all registrars are alike. All it takes is to register the domain and point it somewhere. Oh boy was I wrong.

These guys manage billing unlike any other registrar that I worked with. Instead of paying for the domain when you purchase it they make you open a billing agreement and then charge you unreasonable renewal charges. Even if you cancel the 'auto renew' (which is a story by itself), and delete the domain! I was changed hundreds of dollars for domains that I already deleted from my account. Couldn't get those charges reversed for over 2 months. Still kept receiving renewal emails, then collection emails. They over-drafted my checking account in several occasions. Brought Paypal to a negative balance (which I didn't even think was possible).

After opening two Paypal disputes I might be able to get the money back (still an outgoing issue). In their responses to the disputes and email communications they still keep lying and making excuses so I might have to escalate this review to an open case. This is just the billing experience. Their 'new web interface,' the worse 90's website that you can imagine. You will not be able to locate or manage anything. Every time I had to redirect a couple domains it was always a story of 2+ hours. Managing auto-renewals or cancelling domains is impossible as I described earlier. Avoid these scam artist even if that particular domain extension price looks attractive. You will pay for it later if you won't.

I've been with 1&1 since 2009 running 2 servers and I've never had a problem paying 150.00 per month. Earlier last year my business took a turn for the worst and I've been trying to recover ever since. I fell behind in my payments and was told on the 29th February that I had until 8th march to pay the bill or the server contracts would be deleted and the data would not be accessible. So I did everything I could to gather the money to pay the bill so I could get a backup off my server which was essential for my business to continue at all. I rang 1&1 on the 3rd. I rang them and told them I am ready to pay and get the server unlocked. They told me they needed to look into a few things and they would get in touch with me as soon as possible. They said they tried to ring me but I received no phone call. I then received an email from 1&1 which is this:

"I have attempted to give you a call regarding the payment on your account. The account has actually been moved to collections and therefore the attempted payment from our end was not successful. Please contact the collection agency, FMA at 1-866-289-7641 anytime between 8 AM - 9 PM today or 8 AM - 5 PM tomorrow. Once you have contacted them and have made the payment, please give us a call at 1-877-206-4255 and request to speak to our 2nd level billing department so that they can confirm the payment and remove the account from collections. Once this is complete, then they will be able to initiate the unlock of your contract to allow access to your server so you can backup your data and also they can attempt to stop the cancellation scheduled for 03/08/2016."

I quickly rang the collection agency and paid the amount of $251.87 which was the exact amount owed because of some domains that were set on auto renewal as default when 1&1 did a U.I update, also some dunning fees they charged because of the late payments. I accepted all these costs and I paid the bill. The man from Alliance (collections) gave me the confirmation number (I needed to give to the 2nd level billing department). I then rang 1&1 and got the level 1 billing department. The girl I spoke to for an hour told me she didn't need the confirmation number and that she would escalate a ticket as high priority to get the server unlocked.

The whole issue here is on March the 8th the server will be deleted, so I stressed to her that it's vital I get the server unlocked before the 8th so I can backup the data. She then told me it can take up to 3-5 days for the confirmation to come through from the collection agency that I paid the bill... but wait I already have the confirmation number, but according to her she didn't need that, which I can't understand because 1&1 themselves told me to give that confirmation to the 2nd level billing department. She also told me that she would personally monitor my account to make sure it gets resolved before the 8th. This was over the course of the 3/4th March. I was also told on the 4th by the collection agency that their process takes 24-48 hours and that at the latest 1&1 will unlock the server by Saturday the 5th.

Monday the 7th comes and I am starting to stress because the server is still showing locked in my 1&1 control panel and it's only 1 more day until it could be potentially deleted. I started at 2 pm on the phone and didn't finish until 8 pm and still nothing resolved... Here's what happened with the billing department guys when I called them... Starting with the first guy I talked with for more than 2 hours... I told him the situation and he looked up at all the notes on my case and said that they hadn't unlocked it yet because they haven't received the confirmation the bill has been paid. I told him and showed him a snapshot of the bill that was paid and completed and I also told him like everyone else the confirmation number. He then he will ring up the 2nd level billing department to get advice what to do.

He then came back 25 minutes later and told me the only way I can retrieve my data from the locked server is to start a new package (server) and then the server techs can swap the data from the locked server onto the new package... I debated this and he told me this is the only way I can get my data back, so without my consent he went ahead and did it anyway... he then came back and said he will transfer me to the server techs so they can put the data from my old server that's still locked to my new package he just created. So I get transferred and the server tech tells me that he can't see any data from any server because the server in question is still in review with the billing department. He tells me I will need to speak with them again and get the server unlocked before he can transfer the data. At this stage in the day I am becoming very upset and short tempered.

So he transfers me back to the billing department at which time I am actually cut of the phone call... so I ring them back and I get a new guy that I have to explain again the whole situation and how vital it is I get this data before the server is terminated on the 8th. I told him about how the other guy setup a new package etc. He then told me that the guy shouldn't have done this and it's the wrong process to take and it wouldn't help the situation. So while I am talking to this new guy I am looking in my 1&1 control panel and I see the server that I need the data off and it still has 'locked' beside it. I also see the new server this previous guy had setup... I told this guy "I said look in my control panel. The server is still there. All I need it to get the data off it. I have paid the bill. I have done everything 1&1 as told me to do in order to retrieve my data of the server..."

He tells me after 1 1/2 hours that the only thing he can do is forward this as high priority to the 2nd level billing department to get it resolved and get the server unlocked so I can retrieve the data... I stressed to him it's the 7th and tomorrow it's scheduled to be terminated. He says that's the only thing he can do... so we finished the phone call. As soon as I hung up the phone I just thought I would check my 1&1 control panel again, so I refreshed the page and lo and behold my server that was there 1 hr ago was now missing. It had vanished. When a server package is removed like that it's normally because it's been deleted... but wait it's only the 7th so how can that be? Well I thought ok maybe it's because he escalated and forwarded a ticket (which by the way he told me he was the first one to forward a ticket because now it had been 5 days since the bill was paid).

Grrrr... so I am at this stage freaking out because they did tell me right in the beginning that on the 8th the server may get terminated because it's an automatic process and even though they had submitted a revoke order it might not get through... but this whole time I was told and was sure I could get my data backed up before the 8th anyway so even if the server did get terminated I would still have what I need to continue business. So today is the 8th and the first thing I do when I wake up is check to see if the server is restored... but no it's not. It's still missing. So I ring the billing department and he tells me that now the bill is showing as paid and that he can see the server and he will transfer me to the server tech to transfer the data onto the new sever. So now I get the server tech. He tells me "ok. This is a strange situation. I see the server but I can't access it."

I tell him this is a matter of life and death for me. It's my business and without that data I will go bankrupt. He tells me he will do everything he can to get it sorted. He puts me on hold for 20 minutes. He comes back and tells me he's talked with the billing department and checked all the notes and they have actually just deleted the container and there is no way to get any of the data back... Thanks 1&1. You just ruined my life... Like I said was a loyal customer since 2009 and they treated me like I was nothing. They could have easily backed up the server before it was terminated but they just didn't care... From the girl that said she would monitor my case personally to the guy that setup a new package for a reason that not even they can answer, it was the single most stressed out 6 days of my life...

1&1 and all the customer support (except the last server tech who tried to really help me) had no idea what they were doing and ran me around in circles. It comes down to this: I was told by multiple agents and even emailed (shown above) that if I pay the bill I will get my data back. That's all I wanted and 1&1 gave me false information. They gave me false hope and that destroyed my business without a worry in the world.

My advice (and believe me I have thousands of followers on all media outlets. I will be letting everyone know what 1&1 has done) is to stay as far away from 1&1 as possible. Don't even give them a second thought. They will stamp you out as fast as they take your money. They are not only the worst setup company for support I have come across, but they are also the worst caring company I have come across and I have dealt with a lot over the years... Be warned. 1&1 is out for nothing but your money and that's that.

Have been using 1&1.com for years. But as soon as one small problem happened, it snowballed into a nightmare. 1&1 has ZERO tech support. ZERO customer service. The staff is inept, inexperienced and powerless. There are no supervisors to help resolve an issue. No oversight of the customer service dept. It seems they have no structure or hierarchy at all. Probably just one big room with incompetent agents somewhere in India. The only thing they know how to do well is to send you to some other dept.

I have spent 2 months on the phone with customer service, and still they can't solve a simple issue. I keep getting transferred between departments. And I hear a new excuse/response every time I call. The issue stems from an expired CC on file. Then my account got locked. Then they said I uploaded a virus to their server. Then they said I have an unpaid balance. Then they said there was a security issue. Then another unpaid balance. Then they said they deleted all my files. Finally, they said, "Sorry we can't help you, go with another provider and start building your website from scratch."

I have complained about a portion of my website not working properly, particularly the inability to connect to social media to make updates on my website. I have called 1&1 THREE times regarding the issue. It continues to go unresolved. The last time I called was today, February 11, 2016, and before that it was February 1, 2016, and before that January 27, 2016. I was told on February 1st, that it would be taken to the next ticket level for correction. This was already done before and the issue was still not fixed. I called again today to complain about the fact that it is still not working. I was told by the supervisor, Brice ** (with whom I spoke to the last time) that since they have not heard back from their second level technical support, that they must still be fixing it. I was livid. I told the supervisor, Brice **, that this was unacceptable customer service, and at the very least, I should have been given a courtesy call.

He said that their business does not do that and that everything is done via email. This was the best that he could do for me. He was unprofessional and didn't seem to care that I had this issue. I asked to speak to someone higher than him, and he said there was no one, but that I could file a formal complaint via email. Their rating on various review websites is 1.5 out of 5. I can understand why. The company has very poor customer service, they don't have a tech team competent enough to fix the problem. I have worked in customer service and have gone out of my way to make sure the customer was completely satisfied after we were through. I have not received anything even remotely close from 1&1. Each phone call left me feeling even more upset. They make you feel like a number... Next!

Do not use this company for your domain. They are crooks. I had registered 2 domain names and never use either one of them. I thought I had canceled it until I received a letter from a collection company. After calling the condescending billing dept. I was told that I had not canceled and that I had to pay the now $33.00 bill. While talking with them on line I was on my "profile page". There was nothing there indicating that I even owed this money. I will pay the ** bill but I hope that you don't use them, instead go to GoDaddy - I have never had any issue with them ever!

Avoid avoid avoid. Worst ever billing - do not let them get near your credit card. Horrible customer/Tech support.

They have just over-billing and on 2015 their control panel has no option to show paid invoices as well. They just double your bill and charge on credit card! Later they told me to add the balance on your control panel they didn't infect. They are just scamming and fraud. I think I must report to FBI as well for their Internet Crime they did. Last 5 months I didn't get the penny! Don't trust them. Don't waste your good earning money. They only charge your credit card. Don't ever rely on the product they are selling free. It's not. Basically it's totally a gambling. That's all I really lost more than $1000+ on -- 1and1. They're scamming and charging my credit card.

I just wanted to cancel my account because I don't use it anymore. They won't allow you to cancel over the website. You have to call them. I waited 1.5 hours and then she told me that they will call me next day to cancel the account. Stay away from this company.

Do not give this company your credit card information. I am an Information Technology and Web Developer for my own site. I have formal training. I was misbilled again today for 119.88. My charge is suppose to be for 1 domain name and 1 hosting package. Their website is a out and right lie. They will say you owe them more because you "didn't CHECK OFF" other services in your account. My question to 1&1... Who CHECKED THEM ON? I didn't request any extra services. BE CAREFUL OF THE MISUSE OF CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. Again, this company did this twice to me.

And when something sounds too good to be true, there is a reason. Web hosting and domain is suppose to be around 8-9.99 "PER MONTH." Again, they will try to charge you more by month to see if you notice. Do NOT trust this company by their advertisements. It is next to impossible to get them to refund your money. They will most certainly try to make an excuse not to do so. My site was **. I contacted them before about this. I contacted them by email and I am sending proof this time in regards to their excuses to not refund my account.

Updated on 11/30/2015: As of 11/30/2015 at 9:40am, 1&1 never submitted my credit for transaction authoring from 11/24/2015 in the amount of 119.88. They responded once to say they would credit my account, but as of today have not according to my Bank Representative. No credit was received. This company continues to lie to me and is nonresponsive to my followup. I am getting numerous emails from people all over the country now to redo my website, when it is just for academic projects. It's not even business. "I" never gave my info to anyone. It has to be from this company who is a "national" company. How is this ethical?

Warning: I am informing the public of the misuse of credit card information and personal data by these companies. They incorrectly billed me twice this year for an entire year without my consent. My privacy has been violated. I am getting numerous calls and emails from people all over the world trying to do business with me. Please pass this along. All I tried to do is set up a required academic portfolio with web hosting. Do not trust any of these companies below! United Internet, 1&1, 1and1.com, 1&1, Inc., GMX, WebDe, Mail.com, Arsys, InternetX, United Domains, SEDO, Affilinet, United Internet Media, Versatel, Fasthosts.

I signed up for a month to month web hosting package, that included free domain name registration and privacy protection. Immediately the calls started. Every day my family and I have received calls from people claiming they had been given my contact information by 1&1 (a who is search of my domain doesn't show my information), trying to sell me upgraded web services. I quickly blocked them and they would call from different numbers. The 1&1 control panel is horrible. All of the features I used the most, like phpMyAdmin were several clicks away. In their place were constant ads from 1&1 telling me that I needed to upgrade this and upgrade that. This makes for a control panel that is cluttered and slows down my workflow.

After deciding enough is enough I went on the site and looked in the help under the topic of "cancelling service". Following the steps exactly leads you to a point where there are two options, one is to cancel the website, the other is to (cancel everything). Conveniently the option to cancel everything is "greyed out" and not selectable. An error says you must first disable "automatic debiting of your credit card". Fair enough. I immediately disabled automatic payment and then returned to the menu and it was still greyed out, though under the cancelled menu it says my account is cancelled, so I assumed it was. Today I get an email saying that "1&1 was unable to debit my credit card", (It was a Bluebird throwaway account as a barrier for protecting against online fraud) despite turning off the option to debit my card.

Masking of emails at 1&1 is not up to speed. When you send a request to update the masking, you get the same stupid reply from 1&1. Masking needs to be at *@*. * so you can block all. I get over 150 emails with *.review, *.date, *.xyz, *.website, and *.faith. Each day over 150 come in with the actual domain names changing but the sub domains remain the same. This cannot be blocked by 1&1.

This company is unorganized, incompetent, & scandalous. NOT ONCE have I ever received or been charged for what I ordered. Cancelling is impossible. Double billing is a regular practice. No one knows what the actual rules and regulations of the company policies are. You can speak to three people and get three totally different stories. Their control panel is a complete joke. There is nothing intuitive or standard about it so you are forced to call and wait 15-20 minutes for someone to get on the phone and "help" you do things that SHOULD be easy things to do.

Switching to this company for my web hosting was a HUGE mistake. It's been nothing but a headache of overcharging, multiple billing, and sitting on the phone with people who don't know what the heck is even going on. Save yourself a headache and avoid this company like the plague. It seems like a good deal and cheap hosting until you realize that they screw you over on billing left and right, wasting time, money, and energy.

I signed up for a trial service about 14 months ago with 1and1 internet company for internet domains I was going to use for a nonprofit that I was volunteering for, and another account where the trial was for freelance business I intended to start and fully operate until I began very ill which I'm still being treated for today. I took the consequences, I paid for the services although I discontinued using them and eventually became unable to access my own account. Because other domains and their associated email addresses that I was previously paying for had to expire (due to my lack of funds), 1and1 would not, and still will not allow me to access my own accounts. Last year, my inability to cancel in time, given the many obstacles they have in place for what they call "security", I paid the fees and consequences. But I'm still being billed today, and cannot access the services.

The company sends copy/paste emails, blocking me from any true dialog. The legal department offered me a $14.99 refund (which I have not seen in two weeks). Then after all this time in one business day, while I was receiving treatment and doctors visit, an aggressive rep emailed me out of the blue multiple times for a resolution, which I requested a form to cover a phone call because: a) after post neck-surgery, they pull your voice-box out of the way to do surgery - it is horrendous pain to do anything (including speaking); b) our mobile phones are temporarily disconnected; c) we do not have money for toner so I have to use Adobe to fill out forms or go to a Fedex office to print; d) and, because I did not respond in their way, that day on their out of the blue terms, by close of business, they made the determination on my behalf that they would close the case - without any fair resolution. Not helping me at all.

Then they send a rep on me who out of the blue, one day, while at a doctor for testing. This has caused a lot of distress to me personally at a time I'm not well and dealing with an overwhelming amount of personal, financial and health related issues - most notably we are facing an eviction. But the siphoning of my account, $10-15/month has made it more difficult to divvy the unemployment check our family is living off of portioning food, my medication and out utilities - the company is relentless. Our phone has been disconnected temporarily and we do not have a printer caused a lot of havoc and excessive fees charged me personally. I have contacted One and One on multiple occasions. I've explained my situation in great detail. They continue to charge me. Overwhelmingly, I contacted them by email. I had to go through via email in order to cancel.

On two occasions, 1&1 made updates to their software that had a negative impact on the design and accessibility of my website. In the first instance, and after I complained, one of their techs converted my website for me. (If I had done it on my own, I would have had to follow several steps to complete the conversion). The problem, however, was that none of my graphic images were converted. This obviously affected the appearance of my eShop. There is more.... I had a second domain and website for a second business, and thought at least that one would be safe, however, several months after their first conversion they initiated yet another software conversion. I learned about it when I went to the website and found only the first page could be viewed.

I register 2 domain name with company. After they charge my cc they send email saying that they are unable to verified my identity. Oh ya so if that's the case why did you charge my credit in the first place although I have multiple accounts with different domain company. Or hum let me guess, you're interest in the domain name. People stay away from them.

1 and 1 made it extremely difficult to cancel accounts. One may call them multiple times and they would say the account was cancelled, but their billing will continue to bill and delay and cancellation process. And their online account cancellation despite giving confirmation still was not closed by their billing.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

1and1 is a Web host provider and website builder that has been in business since 2003. Although it is based in the U.S., its products are available in nearly a dozen countries.

• Free trial: 1and1 offers new members a 30-day free trial so they can make an informed decision about whether they want to pay for the service.
  • Package options: The company offers three package options to meet the budgets and service needs of each client.
  • Domain registration: Domain name registration from 1and1 starts at just $0.99, although popular domain names may cost more.
  • E-commerce functionality: Clients who wish to sell products online can take advantage of 1and1's e-commerce tools.
  • Server options: 1and1 offers cloud servers, dedicated servers and virtual servers to match the budgetary needs of diverse clients.
  • Best for Small companies getting into e-commerce, those who want an affordable way to build websites and those who have little website experience.

Compare Website Builders