1.20/5
Based on 60 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

1and1

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 18, 2017

65 1&1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I've never used 1&1's hosting, but have purchased 10-15 domains at one time or another, now I am down to three domains. Because I had problems with my Paypal account and 1&1 could not bill me, I logged in after years of just parking these domains and automatically paying my bill. I noticed I was billed for two domains, that I have canceled years ago. There was a clear note saying, "customer canceled" next to the domain contracts. Last year, a credit was issued back to my account on these two canceled domains immediately after the billing, so it looked as though the system was correcting itself. But I was still charged (and paid) for many years after cancellation.

I pointed the problem out to a customer service rep on the phone and he said I need to send an email about those prior years. I did not pay the outstanding bill for one of the domains, because the credit that needs to be issued for the years I was charged after cancellation of two domains would cover the cost of the bill (for a domain I am keeping). Since I was setting up a new computer and had other more pressing tasks to deal with, I postponed sending this email for two weeks. I would have written a quick email if not for the annoying detail of having to sort and match domain names with contract numbers. The invoices do not have the purchased domain name on them, just the contract number (of the purchase) and the more domains you have with 1&1, the more tedious the task.

After two weeks, I logged back into 1&1 and the whole site had changed. My canceled domains were no longer listed, so there was no record that I had canceled these contracts and the credits issued last year were also gone. It was revisionist history before my very eyes. Only thing that was still showing were the credits issued two weeks ago by the rep I had spoken to on the phone. When I called Customer Service again to get the email address, he shouted at me and said I never canceled the domains until last week. So there is now no point in sending an email, b/c everything I had to say would be rendered fictional since my account has been wiped clean of all evidence! I paid the outstanding bill so I could transfer my domains out of 1&1.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I've purchased several domains from 1&1, although no more. Even though 1&1 advertising on their product says: "Including FREE private registration" by default, 1&1 makes my personal information available for the public to find which results in my personal email being SPAMMED BY 30-50 COMPANIES. In order to turn off THEIR DEFAULT PUBLIC SETTINGS I have to log in and go to each domain I purchase and go to privacy settings. Problem is, by the time I realize WHAT 1&1 HAS DONE TO ME, IT'S TOO LATE.

Now, I have to start the process of blocking emails and phone numbers as I am hammered for the next 3 months. GoDaddy charges for privacy BUT AT LEAST THEY GIVE YOU THE OPTION UPFRONT IN A NOTICEABLE WAY. I will be looking elsewhere to purchase my internet products from now on and I advise anyone that doesn't want a ton of Spam and Telemarketers to STAY AWAY FROM 1&1.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 22, 2017

DO NOT USE 1&1. SCAMMERS, I took out a simple few domain names and 60 started coming out of my bank every month from 1&1. Dont have clue what I'm being charged for as the domains were only cheap. I'm outraged they should be closed down!

Original review: June 20, 2017

DO NOT Do Business with 1&1 (1and1.com)!! I used to have over 100 domains in my 1&1 portfolio, and due to their mismanagement and convoluted system (including but not limited to platform navigation, contracts and up-selling everything), one of my more valuable domains was accidentally cancelled and wound-up in redemption. When I finally discovered that and reached-out to them, I arranged for the renewal (in time) only to subsequently discover that it was dropped with no viable explanation provided. That domain is now listed for sale with Uniregistry.com for $1,395!! I thought 1&1 would do the right thing and arrange to have that domain transferred back into my account.

And so I reached-out to them with a detailed eMail and received a generic reply from their Solutions Manager stating...“Unfortunately, we are not able to re-obtain the domain name in question, as it is currently registered with someone else, but as a courtesy for the trouble, I have applied a credit on this account equal to a .com domain renewal ($15.17), to provide you with a domain name renewal for free for the year. This credit will be applied to any upcoming invoice from this account until the $15.17 is spent.”

Nice huh?? 1&1 had been inconsistent with their supervision and here was yet another example of their system failing me. Something like this would have NEVER happened just a few years ago when their supervisors were based in U.S.A. (Philadelphia) before moving their operations overseas. And so I cancelled my account and WILL NOT be using any of their other services (to build-out sites and monetize other domains, etc.). I'm already using a number of my other domains for affiliate-related businesses (which were originally listed with 1&1). Considering how many domains I had listed with them, that was undoubtedly a poor business decision on their behalf (taking into account all of the renewals and related business that was intended to go to them). As a satisfied client, I would have been happy to provide positive feedback on social media. Sadly, these reviews will reflect a negative experience.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I used 1&1 Internet for my business and it was easy to set-up and works great for my business. So when my peers from a youth program I help to run asked me to set-up a website for youth program, I recommended 1&1 Internet even though they wanted to Domain.com. 1&1 Internet advertises a referral program so I thought I would try it since I convinced the youth program to use 1&1 Internet. I set-up the new domain and instead of them creating a new account for it, 1&1 Internet added to my existing business account, even though the billing information was completely different. When I called them about it, they told me there would be a fee to transfer it to a new account and never answered my questions about the referral program. So then I spent many hours creating the new website for our youth program only to find out that the URL for the site was different than the new domain, very confusing.

I called and spent about an hour on the phone to get it fixed so when you typed in our domain it would go to the website I spent hours building. Later on I found out the emails for the new domain were deleted and I was unable to re-create them. I called again and the customer service representative told me that I needed to move the domain in their system but that the website would still be connected to the domain. I asked several times because I did not want to lose what I built. He assured me that when everything switched over in their system that I would be able to create the email accounts and the website would be linked to the domain.

About an hour later, I was able to create email accounts but the website did not transfer over, I called them back again. This time I was told that nothing was wrong on their end and they do not know why it was not working, so he had to submit a ticket for a Supervisor to look at and he told me that since it was Saturday night, that there were no supervisors in but that I could call back during the day on Sunday and they would be in. I called back on Sunday and I was told that none of the Supervisors were working today and they would not be in until Monday. I explained that I needed the site up and running yesterday due to marketing material that was going out and he stated that there was nothing that he could do. I am very frustrated and feel like the referral program was a scam to get more business. I wished we would have went with Domain.com and plan to change when my contract is up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: June 8, 2017

I always dread having to call 1&1. Most times, I get someone on the line who is learning and is no more advanced than me. Tonight, I waited 30 minutes and no one ever got on the line. I wonder how long the leaders of 1&1 are willing to wait when they call a company before they lose patience? Come on 1&1, you're better than this!

Original review: May 31, 2017

I received an invoice from Central Credit Services LLC which is a collection agency for 1&1 Cloud, which supposedly is internet service. Not only have I never done business with 1&1 Cloud, I never even heard of them. The notice says 30 days to dispute the validity of this debt which is in the amount of $82.93. I did just that; I wrote a letter disputing the debt stating that in my opinion it is fraud. I am hoping that my letter resolves this issue and the same time I am warning others to where this company, 1&1 Cloud and its collection agency, Central Credit Services LLC.

Original review: May 23, 2017

1&1 is possibly the cheapest deal going and what service I've had has been ok. My beef is the unbelievable spam I've been subjected to. Foolishly I gave my real email and mobile number. Since opening the web page, I have received about 43 emails offering google search listing, domain registration, web page design and other BS. And now about 7 phone calls from various numbers offering the same! I can't believe it! 1 or 2 I can expect. But if any charlatan with a business number, has access to 1&1's database, how safe is my credit card I wonder? ie; DO NOT OPEN A 1&1 ACCOUNT! Use 000webhost/Hostinger or similar...

Original review: April 27, 2017

I wouldn't use 1&1 to host a website if it's your first time. I feel like each time I call for help through the support line, the guy is just very annoyed with me and doesn't seem to want to help at all. I explained how this was my first website and I was sorry I didn't understand what a nameserver was or anything and he just continued with his extremely hostile attitude... I will definitely be looking for a hosting service that is better with customer service!

Original review: April 12, 2017

I called and asked for assistance setting up my online store with a third party and they refused to help. Flat refused- so much for 24/7 support! If you plan on using a third party for your store do not use 1&1. They will not help you get it set up.

Original review: March 22, 2017

Host Service unlimited. With 12 Data Bases actually is... limited to 1 Domain. Any additional domains need to be TRANSFERRED with fee to 1&1 or not allowed. In addition the staff all have different information... left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. Extremely incompetent staff. Shady practices... runaround to confuse users. The Web Builder service is also out of order.

Original review: March 14, 2017

In January I attempted to have my husband's company domain moved to 1&1 so as to consolidate with my own. My domain has been with 1&1 for the better part of a decade, and I was once impressed with their customer service. As soon as I convinced my husband to come on board, I couldn't have been more embarrassed by 1&1's incompetence. Transferring a domain will usually render a website useless for a good 2 weeks while it changes hands and new contracts are processed. Once two weeks went by and our site was still not live online, I called 1&1, explained the situation, which I end up doing ad nauseam, and what I was told was something I would end up hearing a total of THREE times... "Ah, yes, ma'am. We need to 'start' by changing your current contract to include the new domain and to support WordPress, per your request..."

I effectively had to do exactly that THREE or FOUR times (I lost count) before it finally "took"!! And, no one seemed able to explain to me WHY. What went wrong the previous times we went through the steps of changing my contract? After the third time I heard someone say, "Yes ma'am, I can help you with that! Let's start by changing your conract...", and mind you, that was after being bounced around from department to department for 20 minutes. I asked to speak to a manager. I simply needed someone who knew what was going on to help me. Well, that's not exactly what happened. The manager apologized profusely and proceeded to go through the motions of "changing my contract" for me, so as to get our business website back online. No one seemed to appreciate that having a website shut down costs us revenue daily, and when it happens for over a month - due to incompetence - is inexcusable.

I felt better after hanging up the phone and patiently waited the additional week or so. The time came and went and... NOTHING. I mean, I was incredulous. I called, yet again, and was informed, yet again, that we needed to "start by changing ur current contract..." I was dumbfounded. I was frustrated and very stressed about the situation, but maintained my composure as well as my manners and professionalism... which is more than I can say about the MANAGER at 1&1 (the same one I spoke to before, "Michael"). He was short, rude, and dismissive with me. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. What kills me is that, at that point, I wanted to speak to someone ELSE, and Michael tells me he is the "highest ranking" in his department. "You have no boss?" I asked. "Yes, but they don't take calls, ma'am." That is just wrong. And, I have no idea if that is accurate.

He never explained to me why 1&1 FAILED to upgrade my contract 3-4 times while our website sat dormant. What's more, he dismissed my concerns multiple times with a heavy sigh and, "Look, at this point we can either try it again or you can choose to cancel your service with us. That's up to you, but I would really like to move on." -Speechless- "And, if what you want is to complain about me, you're gonna have to email..."

I found my voice after that. "Michael, can you not conceive that this is NOT about YOU? I don't WANT to complain about anything. What I want is for 1&1 to take care of me and value me as a customer! YOU can't seem to DO that, therefore, I have to find someone else! At this point, I am trying to cut our financial losses, do you not get that? Do you not care?" I ended up speaking to another customer svc manager who ended up helping me enough to FINALLY get my contract changed and my website back online. Since then, which has been just a couple of weeks now, I have had to call once more for some simple guidance.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I received a delinquent account bill for $49.57 from 1&1 Internet. I have never done business with this company nor had I ever even heard of them until I received this notice. I ignored it because it wasn't mine and meant to forward it to the PA Attorney General to file a complaint, but hadn't gotten to it. Now I've received notification from Central Credit Services which is a debt collector out of MO. This one is for $81.08. Needless to say I will be notifying the PA Attorney General immediately. There are literally 1000's of complaints on this company. I don't understand why someone has not shut them down.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I made the mistake of buying separate 1and1 contracts for several domain names. 1and1 has a nasty habit of adding on 1&1 Website Builder Plus fees without authorisation. Buyer beware. Take a copy of the order page - as their favourite claim is - you must have inadvertently clicked on the hosting line. I am currently in dispute with 1and1 on this very matter and will update on my dealings with them.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

After a year I realized that they were taking more than double the money I agree to pay. They created a new php service and charged me without my consent, apparently they sent an email saying that if I didnt want it I should cancel it myself. Instead of paying 8.99 I ended up paying 2. That is abusive and when I call to try to understand why I was being charged so much the support guy got upset. As many others have said, don't give your credit card number to this dishonest company!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I have created website with 1 and 1. Everything you need to create your website is right at your fingertips and they have great customer service and they are very helpful with the product.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Overall the service is okay, they did shut down hosting of php sites years ago, and I lost tons of content on a website I built. They should still support it and handle migrations. Also, it's too expensive for hosting 1-2 websites.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

This is really terrible experience with this company, I haven't ordered anything after buying one domain from 1&1, I haven't requested for any business mail service but they charged me 1700 INR and even they have not mentioned in their contracts as well. When I tried to reach them the number was not valid for an Indian customer, I emailed them the same but it was also not good enough, still, I am waiting for their response. I have attached the bill and contract copy. Please help me out if anybody can.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I have had a website provided by 1&1 for a couple of years now. In October 2015 I took over the payments for the website and asked that a couple of extra items on the account be cancelled as I only wished to pay for my website. It then appeared that I was still being charged quite a lot so I brought this up with them. I was paying £29.99 a month for my website but then an additional £35.97 a month on top. I asked if I was being overcharged and the way they worded it made it sound that my website cost £65.96 a month.

I am not brilliant with websites and computers in general but thought that this must be the going rate and didn't really understand, nor did anyone breakdown the charges for me. I asked a number of times if I was paying too much and I didn't seem to get to very good responses nor a conclusion for my inquiries. It's now January 2017 and I found out on a Saturday that the £35.97 is for two other contracts that haven't even been used for over 12 months. I was told to contact the complaints department and that I'd get a refund for it.

I feel I've been misled into paying for something that hadn't been used when I stressed that all I wanted was a simple website contract. Now 1&1 are saying that I'm not entitled to a refund because I didn't ask for a cancellation of those contracts? But they made it sound that my website cost £65.96 a month and didn't explain that there were two contracts on the account but were not being used.

I've contacted citizens advice and consumer rights and am hoping to get this matter resolved as well as my money back. Had I known that the contracts were unnecessary then of course I'd have cancelled them and not carried on paying £35.97 extra a month for over 12 months but I've been misled into thinking that the extra £35.97 was to do with my website. I'm so confused and feel that I've been tricked. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

We will not deal with 1&1 and their stupid offers. We took an 11 dollar hosting and domain offer, after we cancel the contract it appeared like it renewed itself by the system, they are charging us 123 plus 19 fee and a lost 17 dollar for the bank declined transaction because I didn't have enough money to pay, my mistake was adding my credit card on the stupid account. Thanks I cancelled it on time...

They kidnapped my second domain. I can't move it, they damaged my project with that domain, they lock all your domain based on one subscription. After that they send you sent by mail tons of letting threatening to demand you whatever... We have a second domain. We canceled the renew on time and miracle it is renewed automatically so they are charging us again a domain we already cancel, they trick user so you can think you turned off auto-renew but it is auto-renew appear again, I don't want to deal with this suck dirty fraudulent company ever again... Another thing. When you want to cancel a contract with them they don't cancel it immediately. You have to wait like 4 months for it, very ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

We bought 10 domain names from 1and1.com and after a couple of days our account was suspended and when I called their support, they told me to contact the security team. I contacted the security team but received no reply. I contacted support again and the guy who answer the call was very very rude. I demanded for a refund and was told that they will not issue a refund. I am planning to take the matter to court. What 1and1.com is doing is not fair at all and I will not allow to be treated this way. I am already in contact with our lawyers.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

Our company uses a dedicated server from 1&1 paying a reasonable amount each month. We have had several problems with them over the period of time that we have been with them but each problem actually got resolved. When trying to login to the server via remote desktop an ambiguous error was shown preventing me from logging in, so I contacted 1&1 to inform them about it to which they said they will take a look and should take around 1 hour. 2 hours later I called back explaining that I desperately needed to get into the server and that I had my software developers urgently needing access. Their response was "we will email you." Bear in mind here that there was no change to the server from our side and should not have changed in any way. This issue has left us in complete limbo not knowing what we are supposed to do next. If you have a business that relies on a stable server and hosting, do not go with 1&1.

Below is an extract of the email they sent to me: "Following our previous conversation I am writing to let you know that we are no longer working on this issue as it has fallen out of our scope of support. The problem at hand here is with Windows Server 2012 and not with the dedicated server we supply. The problem as we have investigated is as follows: Error with RDP grace period HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\GracePeriod This registry key needs to be deleted."

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

Terrible company. I have been client for 3 years and cancelled my contract in July 2016 for a contract ending in October 2016. But because it was "only" 2.5 months before the deadline they thought it would be fair to prolong my contract for ANOTHER YEAR! Outrageous. DON'T GET A CONTRACT WITH THESE GUYS!!! Also their internet is slow.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

After acquiring an expired account from a former company, we went through the process of clearing the debt owed by that company in order to regain access to the assets. Only after then calling in and spending 2 hours working with various inept customer service reps were we informed that the domain assets we paid to restore had been completely deleted, and that we would need to create a new account to try and reestablish control of those domains that were still available. We were also asked to submit a customer change form, which we did.

After receiving only a cryptic email indicating there was nothing to transfer to the new account, I had to spend another hour and a half on the phone with 1&1, being transferred between various reps, none of which seemed to understand how to help me, only to land on a particularly rude and uncooperative rep that simply informed me 1&1 was not will to accept the customer name we applied to the account, a name we had used for a previous account, and had subsequently simply refused the account creation. Upon asking to speak to a manager about this, I was refused service due to the fact that the account number we were given had been arbitrarily deactivated by 1&1.

Essentially, 1&1 refused to provide ANY service or support for a paying customer. Furthermore we were never given ANY indication of the account termination, forcing me to waste valuable company time trying to figure out what they had done and why. We are now being forced to recreate another account with a name 1&1 considers appropriate simply to gain access to resources we have paid to gain access to. Avoid this company at ALL COSTS!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Unable to use newer TLD, poor site layout and very hidden (and sometime mislabeled!) paths to do certain tasks such as pointing external domains to the host. Cancellation is poor, attempted to cancelled 3 times now (with the first time being "confirmed" in May) and still being billed for features that were automatically added. Charging for extended PHP support on a basic html web page is rubbish. Avoid if possible and find another host.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

Re; 1and1.com Website Provider. Asked for refund for their "List Local Service", because, after over 3 months, I still have zero "listings without errors" on my website. Was told today (Sept. 7, 2016) "we don't give refunds after 30 days". This is exactly the opposite of me being told that I can have a refund at any time, if I am not satisfied with their service. Now, they refuse to speak with me, because I told them, that "I was told the exact opposite", and "recorded the conversation". AND, THEN they told me that they do not allow their employees to speak with anyone, if they are being recorded, even though THEIR message on the phone, is..."Calls are recorded for Customer Quality Assurance".

This is disturbing to me, as I ALWAYS record ALL of my Business Conversations. This "practice" of mine, was vetted through the F.B.I. (FIVE Special Agents), on NUMEROUS occasions, and I have been doing so for over 25 years. I do this for 3 reasons. 1. We live in a "he said, she said" world. 2. People lie to me every day. 3. I am an independent Special Investigator. From experience, I know...that there is ONE reason, that someone would be unwilling to be recorded. That reason, is that they lie, and don't want to get caught, so they use that "blanket excuse" to prevent you from doing so. Following this posting, I will file a complaint with the BBB, ic3.gov, and any other agency I can find.

Additionally, while being a 1 and 1 Customer, I have repeatedly been told the EXACT OPPOSITE by several of their employees, when asking questions about the poor functionality of my Website. One of those times, their employee made a statement (another excuse), that contradicted himself...in the SAME SENTENCE. It's like saying..."It's exactly the same, only different", which is "an impossibility". Unfortunately, I've found that most people would rather lie, than admit that they are wrong. It's rampant in our society today. To protect myself, I record everything. A policy that has saved me thousands of dollars. So... now I am at the point where they won't talk to me. And I don't blame them a bit. But, again, there is only ONE REASON, that they chose this "option" (blanket excuse). They don't want to get caught in a lie.

After reading the horrendous problems that so many people seem to be having with their "false billing", I have canceled both of my Business Account Cards they had on file. I have been given, what I call, "misinformation" many, many times, which I call a "circle of lies". Apparently, NO ONE at 1 and 1, is humanly capable of making a mistake. Their Web Page states that their Website mechanism is "Easy to Use". Nothing could be further from the truth. I've had problems from the start (OVER a year ago), which they consistently attribute to ME doing "something wrong", even though I recorded their conversations, and did EXACTLY what they told me to do. Doesn't add up. I've "re-set" ALL of the pages of my Website, OVER 100 TIMES.

FINALLY, I paid a highly qualified IT Technician $300 to look into it for me. He informed me that NOTHING was "as it should be". The metatags were all wrong (I don't even know what a metatag is), and NOTHING will work, as is. So I contacted 1 and 1, and explained to them what I'd done (hired someone to find the problem), and that I wanted it fixed. Their "counter statement" was..."Who built your Website?" I explained that "I did." They proceeded to tell me (again) that it was all my fault, and that "I" needed to fix my metatags. I cannot, by ANY stretch of my imagination, call this an "Easy to Use" Website Provider. If I had been told that I needed to be able to "write (computer) code" to set up this "Easy to Use Website", I would never have ventured into it in the first place.

Now, I am being blatantly lied to again, telling me that I cannot get a refund. The reason for my refund request, is that THEIR SERVICE DOESN'T WORK! BUT...I spoke with MORE than ONE representative of their company, confirming that a refund was available, even after 30 days. Now, according to the F.B.I., "Recorded conversations always win in Court...always." So, now I have to take Legal Action, if I want results. I will do so, in hopes that I can save others from this kind of Predatory and Fraudulent Business Practice, and advise others to do the same. If it was possible to give this company a "negative" rating, I would need a scale bigger than from 1 to 10. Simply put..."I can't be wrong all the time". Turns out, I was right. I learned long ago, that someone that doesn't keep records for accountability, has a reason. Something to hide, is that reason.

On a good note, after they were told that it was their malfunction, and not mine, my Website was "fixed". The "fix", lasted for 6 DAYS, then the "Optimization Text" kept being changed (again) to text that prevented my Website from being found. I fixed the mistakes again, 2 days ago. Then I was told another lie...That "Optimization, is only a suggestion" (though I was REPEATEDLY told that it had to MATCH). Exactly the opposite of what everyone else had explained. Without my recordings, I would have ZERO recourse. Good luck to you all. I don't recommend doing business with this company, unless, 1. you're insane, 2. like to waste your time, 3. have too much money and like to be frustrated. I think that I fit into category #1. Seeking Attorney.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I tried to cancel my subscription for a particular domain. (Plus a host of others which 1&1 tried to add to my subscription.) The process of cancellation by using control panel is tortuous and designed to fail. You have to talk to one of their representatives to cancel. I did this by email. Got a confirmation back from them that cancellation was complete. Followed 14 days later by a debit from my credit card. I have reported this company for fraud. This sort of activity brings the whole community into disrepute.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

Completed all paperwork for a proper account transfer to 1&1's specifications. The only thing I couldn't do (the only thing they don't require) was delete my payment information without putting new information in. The new account owner was informed by me that payment information needed to be updated. At transfer, 1&1 no longer allows the old owner to remove their payment information as they are not the account owner. They initially told me that I needed to contact the new account holder and have them reimburse me. They still will not remove my payment information without the consent of the account holder. They stated that the only other option was for the new account holder to cancel the account and then I could be refunded through them, but as they are unable to contact her, they cannot issue me a refund. How can they have a documented ownership change, but refuse to remove the prior owner's payment information before or after?

Original review: July 24, 2016

Worst company for domain registration with hidden fees. Few days ago I registered 4 .com domains from 1&1 which cost of £19.40 exc vat. Later the same day, I registered two more .me domains making a total of £40.06 (including vat). For both transactions I paid by card. Next day, I received an email with an invoice attached for £40.06 which will be be taken from my card in the next few days. I rang up 1&1 customer service which are based in the Philippines and I explained that I already paid at the checkout. I was told that they did not take the £40.06 at the checkout as they have to wait 24 hours and that they will be taking the money from my card in the next few days. I thought that's ok, fair enough and hang up. The day I registered the domains, I had £54.87 in that particular bank account.

The following day, I received another email from 1&1 that the payment has been declined and another from my bank that charges will be applied for failed transaction. I logged in my online bank account and on my statement showed '£19.40 - Pending transaction withheld 1&1 Gloucestershire GB' and an available balance of £35.47. I called my bank and they confirmed that 1&1 is holding £19.40 as well as tried to take a payment of £40.06. I called 1&1, and after spending nearly 2 hours explaining to 3 different agents (also 2 more agents picked up but just decided not to talk and simply laugh), a support agent named Nel told me that this is how you shop on 1&1.

He explained to me that you need to have x1.5 (times one and a half) of the amount if you want to buy something on 1&1. Nel also told me that this is normal and this is how shopping is done online. I said to him that I have never heard of anything like this in the UK, I even have a few websites selling goods to the public. I asked him if this is mentioned in the T&C. He promised to email me the links but it's been few days now and still hasn't.

So basically, if you want to buy something from 1&1 for £10, they will first hold £10 from your card, then invoice you for £10, then take another £10 from your card and when they feel it's time to return the first £10, they may do so. This is completely unfair, as I had enough funds for registering those domains. Today it's been 5 days since this happened and 1&1 is still holding £19.40 + I will have to pay charges to my bank. I sent 6 emails to billing & complaints department and still no reply. They are just ignorant, I suppose, as they already have my money. BEWARE before making any purchase or registration with such a low level company and with agents in the Philippines who lie, ignore and don't understand the meaning of customer service we request in the UK.

Original review: July 8, 2016

Email support can take up to 2 weeks for a response. Phone support is non-existent. Had to contact that BBB just to get them to cancel my account.

1&1 expert review by ConsumerAffairs

1and1 is a Web host provider and website builder that has been in business since 2003. Although it is based in the U.S., its products are available in nearly a dozen countries.

• Free trial: 1and1 offers new members a 30-day free trial so they can make an informed decision about whether they want to pay for the service.
    • Package options: The company offers three package options to meet the budgets and service needs of each client.
    • Domain registration: Domain name registration from 1and1 starts at just $0.99, although popular domain names may cost more.
    • E-commerce functionality: Clients who wish to sell products online can take advantage of 1and1's e-commerce tools.
    • Server options: 1and1 offers cloud servers, dedicated servers and virtual servers to match the budgetary needs of diverse clients.
    • Best for: Small companies getting into e-commerce, those who want an affordable way to build websites and those who have little website experience.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs