3.7/5 (226 ratings)

About Ionos by 1&1

Ionos by 1&1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?

Original review: March 22, 2021

I have order one domain .pk. They are detect $10 in my credit card even I received receipt from IONOS but if still domain not register and show status setting up and if I check invoice & payment there is no any transaction or receipt. I tried to remove my payment method they are save my credit details. It not canceling. They can detect any amount any time so please don't trust on this website. If someone worry about payment details so just there is one solution block your debit/credit card otherwise you are not secure.

Resolution response: July 12, 2021

This problem has been resolved but according to their bad support, I give 3 stars.

Original review: July 11, 2021

I had to order on this fraudulent site a domain name and a web hosting. And for several days I have been charged on my credit card but still nothing. They blocked the hosting and I try to talk with them via the chat and they do not even answer. The support is really horrible... Too bad you can't give 0 stars otherwise I would have given them without hesitation... This is my first order on their site and I am disappointed with their service. I am very disappointed. Moreover I don't even have the possibility to have my money back. This service is just losing its credibility for nothing at all after so many years of service. It's really deplorable... I lost my money with them but I hope that my comment can prevent many other people from being so badly scammed...

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I have been a computer consultant to Law Firms for over 30 years. I deal with Domain Name hosting, maintenance of DNS records, domain name transfers on at least a weekly basis. I have done SCORES of domain name transfers. IONOS is the first company I have EVER seen who deleted the DNS records in their system when a Domain name transfer is INITIATED instead of when it is COMPLETE. It's a swift kick in the rear on your way out the door with a steel toed boot.

The result is that you are left with NO ACTIVE DOMAIN ON THE INTERNET, meaning you can no longer receive email until you sort it out, and it requires a lot of hassle with the destination registrar. HINT: if you leave IONOS, make sure you carefully, MANUALLY DOCUMENT ALL your DNS records (thankfully I always do that just in case) AND, before you go, set the domain registrant email addresses all for a domain that is NOT the domain you are transferring - or, like me, you will find yourself unable to finalize the domain transfer via email confirmation because you will have no MX records pointing to your email server. It's like being stuck in irons (sailing reference). It SUCKS. These guys SUCK. They didn't even wait 12 hours before they deleted the DNS records from the time the transfer was initiated by the new registrar.

Original review: June 16, 2021

IONOS by 1&1 » SCAMMING Hosting Provider| RIPP OFF Websites. Domains. Server. SCAMMERS. WILL RIP YOU OFF. BEWARE. IONOS SCAMMERS beware. The brand by 1&1 for SCAMMING CUSTOMERS websites, domains, server and more — Your leading webhost SCAMMER ONLINE and partner in specialist cloud solutions. The Filipinos need to make money for answering their calls 24/7. They bill your account even after you cancel your contract. I have been billed almost $400 and every time you cancel a contract they still debit your credit card. DO NOT TRUST IONOS.CA OR IONS.COM.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I currently have several domain names hosted with this company, and two of the domains I chose not to renew. However, my account is now suspended and being held hostage for $75 for the renewal of those two domains. I called support and was told to "read the fine print in their terms and conditions". Then he further stated that I should have clicked the button not to renew. Honestly, I completely forgot about the domains and did not click that button as it had been a year and simply forgot...I mean, it was only a pandemic right? So this part can be debated.

Where the REAL issue is... they have suspended my ENTIRE account and holding the domains that are in good standing and PAID FOR hostage as well. They have "locked" them....so I can't do anything with those either. This is where it seems to be illegal to block something that you have already paid for and there is no outstanding balance. This is unscrupulous and I have filed several complaints with various agencies for their "strong-arm" tactics. Beware of this company, and if you decide to do business with them... don't forget to read the "fine print"!

Original review: June 2, 2021

My credit card on file expired but rather than contact me to let me know they locked my account and sent it to collections, after I found out I called them to pay the balance but they refused to accept payment telling me I would have to call the collections agency and pay them, this I will not do, they made no effort to contact me prior to sending this to collections and that is on them, the person I talked to on the phone was rude and condescending making the issue worse, I will never use their service again and warn everyone I know not to use them.

Original review: May 27, 2021

Support is incredibly bad at Ionos. If you're Canadian, you will not be able to use ANY online support. When you login for support, it goes to the.com site and when you click on the support it tells you to login and then brings you to the .ca site. So then you click on support and it brings you back to the .com site, telling you to login. You can get support on the phone, but they honestly don't know what they are doing. The representative was trying to tell me you don't get one year of renewal with a domain transfer...

And then they just auto charged my account without asking me, putting a domain I transferred over there and just renewed it for an extra year without asking. I was starting to move all my domains over to Ionos but lucky I figured out how bad they were before I did so. Just moving them out. Use this company at your own risk. I'm sitting on the phone for over an hour waiting for a rep to answer, then they shuffled me to another person.. so I had to wait even more... All for a $20 charge I never asked for.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I first moved my website away from 1&1 due to issues, but left email. That was a mistake. Nobody on Hotmail ever gets my emails, my entire business is email based, and their servers are constantly on blacklists. Recently, one email account out of a dozen was sending spam due to a virus on a colleague's laptop. They didn't just lock down that email account or ask me to change the settings or password. They locked down my entire IONOS account, affecting every single email. My business was dead in the water. The guy on the phone seemed utterly inept, put me on hold for forever, couldn't get hold of anyone on 'security' and told me it would be locked down like this for 24-48 hours. Completely unacceptable. The second I had access to my account again, I moved everything elsewhere. I have no idea how this company is so big.

Original review: May 24, 2021

This domain registrar offered $3 domain transfer in fees for .info domains. Turns out that's $3 per month, not $3 per first year, and they setup recurring charges with Paypal. I cancelled the recurring charges. They will not unlock the domain for transfer out until at least 60 days, so they will get me for another $3 per domain, but that's it. What a scam outfit!

Original review: March 28, 2021

So I decided to look at Ionos since they offer some nice hosting packages and bought a domain/hosting combo package. They have auto-renew on all their features so I wanted to switch that off. None of the cancel auto-renew buttons work. At first, I figured it's fine, let me try again later. A few days later they still don't work but I decided to play around first.

I created a website and checked out their dashboard. A few days later over the weekend, I start receiving emails of dozens of login attempts on the site that I created- they said that the IP address that tried to log in with the wrong password was banned. I ignored it because I was busy. I then log in again on a Sunday to check out the site again. The entire site I built was wiped. So strange- what's the purpose of having a hosting provider like that? So I decided to give up and cancel the whole package since I'm on the 30-day money-back guarantee. Guess what, though? The cancellation feature on their site does not work. It takes you through to the last page and says "We are sorry. An error has occurred." I've now blocked them via PayPal. Hope that works. Will try to cancel again later. Utterly pathetic, though. Complete scam.

Original review: March 26, 2021

My account got locked and when I called their security team. He didn't hear me out and told me "Don't call us back" on my very first call. I've been using 1&1 for a very long time and I never had this type of service ever. I would never use this again.

Ionos by 1&1 Company Information