1.08/5

1and1

125 1&1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

I request a cancellation for service on February. I see that they are still charged me on March and April. I contacted them and they said, "Yes you requested cancellation but it is not cancelled." Then, they cancelled my account but did not refund the March and April invoices. I send email but they send negative respond. It is like a fraud and scam.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I haven't been a customer since January 2019. In April, they tried to bill a credit card I canceled for service I no longer have with them. They have sent me threatening emails and when I tried to resolve this over the phone with them, everyone I spoke to had something different to say. The only thing we agree upon is that I no longer have an account with them.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My domain was shut down & I was blacklisted because 1R$1 allowed a spammer to open up 2 emails in my name without my permission & said spammer was trying to fraudulently take money from people. 1&1 states they sent me over 50 emails regarding this, but I didn’t receive any. I called in February to renew my domain, they took my money, gave me my domain & did not tell me about these 2 email accounts or that they were being used to spam. So today when I call to see why my domain isn’t working they tell me. Obviously I’m shocked. I understand they have to protect their company but, the way the staff spoke with me - as if I was a criminal was abhorrent!

When I asked for more details so I could file a police report they told me I was not their customer anymore. I spoke with 3 different staff members including a supervisor- all 3 need to go to a sensitivity training, as well as training on people skills. 1 staff even had the audacity to tell me “there’s No supervisor on site for you to speak with”. My last call concluded with them telling me I had to email their legal department to get more information on the mail logs I need to give to police- should be interesting to get a response from a company who states they’ve been emailing me for 3 years?! Bad Business 1&1. Bad Business.

Original review: April 9, 2019

They were billing me for a product I never asked. Plus never answer your email in time. My business down for 2 days (still down) and they never return me!!! Worst company I ever work with! I will move my all domains to the another company!

Original review: April 7, 2019

This company sent me to collections for $21.57 for a service they did not deliver. I canceled my service with them, they took my website down then continued to bill me. When I stopped payment, they sent me to collections to months that I had canceled and the website was down. What kind of company sends you to collections for services NOT delivered? 1&1 IONOS is a website company I recommend you stay away from. This is a fraudulent activity and should be reported to the FTC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: April 6, 2019

Alright, so I have 5 domain and web hosting with them but only 1 website is working. I have almost spoke with everyone but they really don't know how to run their server forms.. Each and every day I am trying to resolve the issue but they really don't know what to do anymore and their servers are down/not responding to port over GoDaddy's server.. NOTE: if you are looking to transfer register your domain. Had batter think twice and mentally prepare to be a **.. They all want money. Other than that really don't give a **.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I want to start first by saying I've done business with the original and many variations and changes to 1&1 over many years, spent thousands of dollars on urls, websites, and more. Dealt with billing, service teams, had challenges (not that technical) and always in the end been satisfied. Last fall, I fell behind on payments which caused my account to lock which meant I couldn't manage auto renews and cancellations and after a few months of back and forth they sent me to collections (during times of their two company merging, it seems).

Anyway, I paid a substantial and overdue balance to gain access and control to manage my domains and now almost all like 99% are gone since they cancelled my contract and they are not giving them back. THIS IS INCLUDING AND MOST INFURIATING THE DOMAINS PREPAID BEFORE THE BILLING HICCUPS FOR ONE OR TWO YEARS - so they hadn't expired and were prepaid by me - how can they take them? As I have called and emailed repeatedly, the most I'm hearing is - "if it's not too late and in certain instances, you could buy them back through us and go ahead and pay for another year!" What wtf what? If this is the final outcome - they are thieves and are taking the benefits of my years of paying for urls that are mine.

I recently have begun to correspond with a manager who I understand may be able to help if there is any possible - we'll see. Yes, I paid very very late - and perhaps lost should have lost those domains that I paid too late on but how could they/can they not return my prepaid unexpired domains - except if they are trying to take advantage of me and if by accident during the chaos of a merger - then why will no one straighten out this mishap. Once a happy customer now not so sure in Michigan.

Original review: April 3, 2019

So first I had issues with actually hosting my website, I paid for help and got nowhere fast. I am not a newbie at building websites and have hosted sites myself on my own server so basically they PURPOSEFULLY, make it confusing and difficult so you have to pay more for their help. Then when I canceled I started getting emails stating that it was due to auto renew. Um, I just canceled so why is it due to auto renew? So you have to go to the site again, clicking the link they give you to stop auto renew. I look and there is NOTHING stating it is being auto-renewed, it says it is being canceled. Which is what I did MONTHS ago, so no this isn't a matter of them sending out an auto-renew notice before my cancellation took effect. What I've learned is that this company will lie about anything to get your money. Please don't waste your time or money! If you are new to building and hosting sites, go to WIX. If you are not go to GoDaddy.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Very bad customer service experience, they do not realize that they are running servers that businesses rely on, I would never trust them to run my websites. I have been with them for several years, and unfortunately they are getting worse in support every year. I got an email about security warning that my server has a security threat, and they took my server offline, it's been almost 3 weeks of back and forth emails trying to get access back to my server without any help from their side, security team are not responsive nor helpful, and support team says I need to contact the security team.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I was with 1and1 for several years. Over that time they would charge ambiguous fees insisting for "upkeep". When they couldn't explain what they were actually for I canceled my membership. They had my site down in a matter of minutes but continued to charge me. I disputed it on PayPal who said there was nothing I could do since at some point they had access to my account even though I changed my email address just to avoid this. 1and1 said they couldn't figure out how to refund me and that I would have to give them an authorization for an all new autopay to refund me. Obviously that was a scam. I'm furious and they don't care.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have numerous emails confirming cancellation of my contract as well as refunds that were never received. The company has billed me twice after cancellation, when I called my card company with Ionos on the phone and my card company confirmed that there is no refund the Ionos representative disconnected the call. I received a very rude follow up email after filing a BBB report (with screenshots of emails), as well as requesting a new card and charge reversal from my card company saying “you can do what you want”. This is RIDICULOUS. Stay away! I am now over $200 in the hole for a service that was cancelled over a month ago.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Support team I have a HUGE problem working with you. I do understand you don't absolutely care about such a small customer as I but you do absolutely nothing to help. My customer ID **. I had outstanding invoice #**. I tried to pay before 1 month had been over in order to keep my web-site at your back-up. I had 3-4 days to pay and I truly tried to do so. My account was deactivated and I spent 20 minutes talking with your support. He told me that I should tell him my credit card number with CVC code and there is no any other way to make a payment. It is damn crazy! I was forced to order a new card. It took hell of a time but 23 of January I called again and the support told me I can pay via PayPal and send me invoice again. I paid and the support told me account will be activated within 2 days.

A week passed and I called again. Girl on support told me I need to pay more. It was a really strange because I paid, according the invoice till 11.06.2019 for all the services. I told that payment had been made and I need my account to activated. She replied invoice will be recalculated and the money will be send me back. It is also quite strange because I need activated account not the money. 30 of January I received invoice (in attachment) showing $71 had been send back to me.

Today is 10 of February. Neither money had been received nor account had been activated. Because of your useless support: I lost a web-site. I paid more than $5K (they didn't told me I can pay via Paypal). For more than a 3 week after I paid I my account hadn't been activated. For more than a 10 days money you so-called sent me back hadn't been received.

Please tell me only ONE SIMPLE THING - WHAT SHOULD I DO ACTIVATE MY ACCOUNT!?!? I just need my account to be active, it is SIMPLEST thing. Sent me PayPal invoice or any explanation but please don't make me call you again!!! It is damn too expensive to make international calls and talked with useless support for an hours and MAKE MY ACCOUNT ACTIVE!!! Please, I need this account ASAP!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Just got stung for £120 for additional "services!!!" Watch out for the fake offers! It's how they make the majority of their money. I own many sites but every time I gave IONAS (1&1) the benefit of the doubt, I end up regretting it because of the hidden charges. Hidden charges and vague terminology confuse the user into paying for services they didn't need (and they'll of course tie you into a contract for the additional services which isn't stated at the beginning). The user then ends up paying many times over the original price offer which initially looks cheap compared to other providers but isn't in reality. Take screenshots of the signup process to protect yourself!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

No one from 1&1 or IONOS could answer our concern why email we sent to a Gmail account takes a couple of days before the recipient receives it. Have been having this issue since Oct 2018. Have been their customer since 2004, but only having this problem lately. Will be switching our account to another provider, just have to figure out how to transfer our domain.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

What everyone is saying about them about still taking your money even though you canceled is true. Then when they refund your money they send you to collections. This company needs to be shut down. I see a huge class action lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I spend more time calling Tech support than working on my site. The problem is they have far too strict security demand. 1. Can't see your password as you type it in. 2. If you get the very complicated password they force upon you wrong just 2 -3 times they lock you out. 3. Then the password reset is a joke as it sends you a link to reset but that opens a page demanding a 12 digit code which they never send you. You try this reset more than 2 times and they totally lock you out of your control panel. Even the tech support with remote view could not find the 12 digit code. 1&1 sucked but now with this really stupid company IONOS nothing works

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Actually not much I can add to the previous reviews. Just that this happened to me too. I turned off the automatic renewal function on purpose to avoid the automatic renewal. I did not get any invoices. I got one phone call and told the representative I don't need the service anymore. 2 month later I get a call from a debt collector!!! In order to get out of the contract they wanted me to cancel it and still make a payment for a full year and told me they would refund me partially. Still waiting for the refund. What a criminal organization is this. Stay far, far away!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

How on earth is this company allowed to exist? It is like organized crime. They will trick you into everything. They will sign you up to contracts which they won't actually show you. They will make false charges and then literally send debt collectors after you when you don't pay. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Beware, this company will ** you where it hurts, in the wallet. They charge your account for false fees, auto renew your contracts, and make sure that their billing emails make it to your spam folder. So convenient for an email company. Spam folder. WOW.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I hosted a Christian church website with 1&1 for many years here in North Wales. But over time, their web hosting fees started rising rapidly. One month, I received several notices of increase charges. Because I didn't want to pass the hosting costs on to my church, and couldn't afford the increased costs myself, I decided to terminate my contracts with 1&1.

That was when the trouble really started. I expected to have to pay some sort of cancellation fees. What I didn't expect was that 1&1 would go after me for MORE money by means of a debt-collection company! Because I had had no previous experience with debt-collection companies, I stupidly paid the money: over £100 in all. I was simply afraid of having my credit rating blackened. Later, I discovered that the debt-collection company, Arvato, are intimately linked with 1&1 and that the best thing to do is to ignore their bogus requests for payment. You can check all this for yourself by simply type "Arvato 1&1" into Google's search box. Bottom line: avoid 1&1 like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have used 1&1 for over a decade, through multiple mergers and changes. While there are issues with any digital serves I can honestly say (as a paying; multiple-accounts shared and dedicated servers) that nothing is 100%, however, I have always had my issues resolved. Let's all understand that pricing changes, fact. So when we get through all of these notes and I know some have had a bad experience it only takes a moment to keep on top of automatic requests from them. Yes - A new account I created was tagged 'fraudulent' I resolved. Domain prices changes (so does my wireless phone bill). To clarify I do not work for 1&1 and do not know anyone that does. Yes - 1and1.com still owes me commision fees, I recommend them for the services I have come to know, use and depend on.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

1&1 have renewed my contract without contacting me to explain why this was attached to an old bank card. They have now passed the £24 bill onto a debt collector for a domain I no longer use nor do I want. They have also suspended the domain so even if I did pay the account isn't available for me to use?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

When it came time to renew my domain names, I couldn't find the exact price in the renewal notices I had gotten from 1&1. When I finally gave up and called them to ask, the rep lied and said 'Don't worry, the price is the same as last time.' False- they had raised their prices. After I moved the names to a different registrar they refused to give me a refund. I had to claw the money back through my credit-card issuer. Maybe it's no surprise that 1&1 is changing their name. Their new name will be "Ionos". Beware of them under either name, they're dishonest.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

WARNING. WORST SERVICE 1&1. In July 2018, I tried to call 1&1 for THREE days to ask for support and unable to connect to its phone number, which is provided from the website. We were really pissed as our work got delayed. We were about to upgrade the contract but started feeling bad about the support 1&1 provide. I did only one year contract with 1&1, somehow they automatically renew my contract. Right, I thought this company is just a joke because of its bad service provider. But no, they start playing Debt Collector game. It is only $30.cc ($11.cc for 1&1 and $18.cc for the debt collector), we are as a team will give you ONE star and very disappointed reviews.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

They have been charging me for domain hosting without my permission. I signed up for emails only. Spent 6 hours on the phone without reaching a single competent person. NO supervisor and my company emails, that I paid to have stored, are lost. There are no supervisors or managers to handle any problems. They only have accountants to repeatedly charge your bank account without permission. Horrible. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

1&1 lured me with their discounts. I bought their hosting and domain, but they kept me on hold without any notice. When contacted customer care, their arrogant executive were irritating. Later got a mail saying they have terminated my account because I am fraudulent. There was just few details missing about me, they charged full money from me, and haven't refund it yet. When asked to customer they ask me to wait, now waiting from long time. Great way to earn money 1&1...

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Beware of this company. I pay this fraud company to book my domain. This company makes my domain on hold once I pay money, If they people have some issue with my domain or anything else they should raise issue before payment but once I pay money, in my login panel shows domain on hold, bloody **. I book domain on my company name. There is copyright issues in there, my preferred name is totally fresh but they bloody ** mail me that wait for 24 hours, That's means I'll get my domain after domain hours but in that 24 hours time someone other book my same domain from another website. I lose my Domain Access forever and lose money also.

Please don't buy anything from this fraud company, They always takes 24-48 hours in domain booking. This is bloody suck company. If you wish to lose money and waste your time so you have great offer provided by this scammer corporation. I got this company details from Google ads but my experience is enough bad. I never suggest anyone to buy anything from this fraud company, I still did not get refund from this fraud company. Please beware from barking dogs and 1&1, because both makes you in problem.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. I deactivated my autorenewal and cancelled my domain. They still took money from my account anyway and bounced my bank account. And then when I called, after keeping me on hold a stupid length of time, they ARGUED with me over whether or not I deactivated my autorenewal. In the end, I MIGHT get my money back but they certainly will not pay for the mistake of overdrawing my bank account by taking a fee they were NOT authorized to take. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT sign up with these people. They are a rip-off.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Most horrible experience!!! I requested to 1&1 Internet Inc for host and transfer my domain services, but 16 hours later I saw it that they were adding a service that I did not order. I called and requested to their customer services to cancel everything because I did not want to have any business relations with them. This information was provided in writing to the company, but they are still charging me for a service never received and refused to read my emails or review the recorded calls, so I can conclude that they have harassing business practices. Can someone advise me what steps do I have to follow to stop this company harassment?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

These absolute scumbags decided to auto register for me for domains that I didn't want, threatened me with debt collectors if I didn't pay their ludicrous rates and then called them to my elderly parents' address after I told them I didn't live in the country anymore. Look online at the other feedback. Avoid this company like the plague. I will not stop until I have escalated this everywhere. Vile company.

1&1 Company Information