1.17/5
Based on 84 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1and1

89 1&1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had screenshots of all I did on the transfer, because I heard they were scammers. I had never got the corresponding emails you get from them when you unlock, turn off proxy and get EPP code. I had called tech support at 1&1.com several times to see why emails were not sent. The domain expired yesterday. They want me to pay to renew with them first and then transfer to new registrar having to pay new registrar again. That defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do, that is why I initiated transfer last month. They say it never happened, Thank god for GPRS data export too, that in addition to my screenshots proves they are liars. GO anywhere but here. And research them on the web, there is a lot of bad stuff written about them.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I do not recommend anyone to 1&1 Internet, Ltd (1and1). First of all, they promised you cheap products but is a trap. You buy, during renewal, you pay more than double. The technical support team are a joke, they are careless and unhelpful and also it takes weeks to solve a simple problem.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I was charged for a renewal after being told I wouldn't be charged. This was on an account I was not using at the time, which resulted in my account being overdrawn. They took 15 days to refund through Paypal. At that time, I set all other products to disable autorenew. Two months later, I receive an invoice for a product I previously disabled autorenew. I call and am told I have to call to speak with cancellations the next day. I did not trust them to not charge me given the previous charge that happened despite being told I would not be charged. I expressed this to the customer service rep, and they may have noted that on my account.

When I called the next day to the cancellation department, the man cancelled my services. He told me this, and then basically hung up on me. I would not recommend this company, as I find their billing tactics to be deceptive. I feel like they are intentionally hoping people do not see they renewed and charged their accounts.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The most horrible company. I used the company services only two week because were not good, after one year and three month I received a letter from a collection company for $114.83 and never communicated with me to charge this money before. THIS IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND IRRESPONSIBLE COMPANY. NO RECOMMENDED.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Wonder how PayPal and credit card companies have not blacklisted them. They take money but your user id and password will never be sent to you. Good luck trying to dispute charges. I wish I had done bit of research before paying these scamsters.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: April 10, 2018

A recent experience with 1and1 hosting company... Note: I've been a loyal customer with 1and1 for about 5 years now... No more now. We have a "Managed" account and our entire 1and1 server recently went down (April 6, 2018). The 1and1 Server techs were on vacation and could NOT get to our server until 3 days later. Meanwhile our E-commerce website was DOWN for a total of almost 4 days... blank page. Nothing. My customers were calling me trying to place orders... Could not do anything.

Tried calling the 1and1 Phone tech support. They said they could not do nothing until the "Server" techs in Germany got back from their vacations. Totally ridiculous and a Joke! Total max time a website/server should be down is usually about 1-3 hours. My website was down for almost 4 DAYS! The 1and1 support said some compensation will be given to us... They gave us a Free month of hosting which was about $300 US dollars... I probably lost about $3-4k of weekend sales! I want as many people to know about this incident as possible and will continue to tell what happened at 1and1.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Not sure where these people are but that's not the problem. They are mainly concerned with saving face and their own job security. Difficult problem? Need a real expert? You're out of luck with 1 and 1 because any demand for an escalation or a supervisor get you disconnected or on eternal hold! I have had this exact experience with the Asian call centers of other companies as well.

Original review: March 21, 2018 Clicked on a link for their email services and studied the page and found the fine print which pretty much made the ad headline meaningless so didn’t sign up.

Next week I get a bill saying we can’t bill us, "So please provide billing information to avoid disruption of your service." No service was identified just a small bill and pay up or lose service threat.

I responded for two weeks that I had no service with them and would not pay the fraud bill. I also packet sniffed their website and found it was skimming cookies from my computer upon visits which I’m sure was used to generate the fake account. Not satisfied with my no answer they phoned my company’s public phone number. When I still said no I got the "I can’t cancel the account even though I am billing" game. First it was transferred to new sales reps. Trained not to take no for an answer. Then after they ran out of those it was off to their fraud department where they tried to intimidate me into paying. They hung up when I told them I had all the notes and had recorded the entire call.

Original review: March 21, 2018

In January this year, I noticed two charges on my debit card that I did not recognize. One was for $5, which had already been reversed. One was for $19.99. It posted to my account on 05 Jan 2018. Both from 1&1 Internet. I am not, nor have I ever been, a customer of this company. I called my bank, cancelled my card and had the charge successfully returned. A couple weeks later, I received a call from a customer service representative of 1&1 Internet. He was inquiring if I was happy with their service. I informed him that I never placed an order, the charges were fraudulent, and I had already disputed this with my bank.

On 20 Mar 2018, I received a letter from Central Credit Services, LLC, based out of Jacksonville, FL. They are demanding ~$80 for services from 1&1 Internet. Today, I mailed my dispute letter to them. This company has a number of complaints against them with the BBB and a quick internet search reveals a long history of unethical, possibly fraudulent business practices. I have tried to contact 1&1 directly, but I am never able to get through on the phone and they do not have any email addresses posted. I have already filed complaints with the BBB, FTC & Michigan AG.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Fraudulent activity of 1&1 Internet Inc. This is the worst company I have come across. I bought a domain name from them and paid for one year and paid in full. Within 2 months, I was sent another invoice, which I disputed and my domain was deactivated in spite of the fact that I have proof of payment for one year.

Original review: March 14, 2018

They give your private info to another companies. As soon as I bought a domain and saved my phone number with them, people started calling for telemarketing. They are asking me if I need to build my new domains. I receive 40-50 phone calls a day. It is very frustrating. I also can't remove my phone number from their web page.

Original review: March 7, 2018

This is possibly the worst company I have ever dealt with. On January 17th, I got notice of hosting renewal for $95.88. Prior to that, I had only gotten domain renewal for $15.17. The notice for hosting said my card would be charged within 7 days. I did not want to renew the hosting, only the domain. I logged in to my account and removed auto-renewal and also emailed letting them know I only wanted to renew the domain. On January 22nd, my card was charged $111.05. I asked for a refund of $95.88 three separate times. Over a week after being charged, I filed an amount dispute with my bank. 1&1 still did not refund me.

I was finally issued a credit invoice on February 16th for $95.88, but did not receive the refund. Then, on February 20th, my card was charged for $15.17 for the domain, citing failure to pay. The charge for $15.17 was refunded (after multiple complaints). I am still waiting for the $95.88 to be refunded. I have received every excuse imaginable, including the "Solutions Manager" telling me on March 2nd that they had trouble processing the refund because I filed a dispute. He told me "that a dispute ceases all interaction between 1&1 and the card on file". If that is true, how did they both charge and refund me the $15.17 after February 16th on the same card? He also told me I would hear back on March 5th. It's now the 7th and still nothing. This has been a 7 week nightmare!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

So after waiting 51 hours for them to activate my account so I could get to the control panel, make my domain settings, setup emails and so forth, I get an email that they need to verify my account information and I need to email or fax them copies of my business registration, tax documents, ID and whatever! For two days my domain have been down because I let my previous host subscription expire as they got too expensive. Well at the least they had my full accessible account up within minutes when I signed up a year ago. Anyways 1&1 what a bunch of low life pieces of cow dung. Wasting more than two days of my time, instead of informing me of these requirements up front, actually before I signed up. Needless to say, I told them to go to hell, cancel my account and provide a full refund. I gave them 24 hours to do this or I will file a dispute with my bank as I have gotten no service or product yet from them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

This is the end of what has been 7 days of total hell having to deal with 1and1 internet. In my view this company should be shut down after what I have had to go through since last Monday 12th February 2018. It will actually take me hours to write up what has happened here so I hope that 1and1 can use all their documented notes and recordings of all phone calls in order to hopefully improve the level of service so that they do not cause another small business owner the level of stress and financial loss that 1and1 have caused myself and my business. I will be writing directly to their head of customer service Julian ** via the complaints@1and1.co.uk email to raise my complaint to the highest level possible. I simply find it absolutely disgusting a large multi-million pound business is allowed to operate and 'look after' so many small businesses.

On the surface, they look like they care and have good reviews, a picture of Julian ** which is featured on their email saying 'I wish you every success with 1and1' and a 5 star review should not be allowed to exist as it is completely false advertising. The fact that when you actual click on this link which says 'satisfied with our service' then take you to a callback page, you enter your number and then invites you to review 1and1 and leave a review and explain the complaint. You do this and then are invited to send your phone number for a call back about the complaint. You then receive the phone call and the person calling knows nothing about the complaint or why they are calling you.

This just demonstrates just one of the totally flawed systems 1and1 operate under. I can only assume this is setup in this way on purpose, to try and deflect the small business owners complaint. I would like to invite 1and1 to review all the notes on file for the acc. ** and then contact me directly to ensure that this matter has been closely looked into.

This started on Monday 12th Feb, when our business website and emails stopped working. Our domain name ** is (very unfortunately) registered with 1and1 many years ago. Unfortunately we had received no letter, email or any kind of correspondence that our 1and1 account was going to be suspended. On calling on the Monday to 1and1 we were informed that the account was suspended and that we needed to provide verification documents to prove ownership of the account. On request I sent my driver's license, this you never received and I was told I needed to wait 24hrs for you to be able to receive it - which is quite frankly shocking in the 21st century of electronic communication. Once you received the driver's license I was then told that this was not enough and that I needed to send proof of the business address in the form of a utility bill.

I sent this along with a 1and1 invoice that we have to prove our address and ownership. Again we were told we had to wait 24-48hrs for this to be received which is just unbelievable. Once you had confirmed you had received these documents, I was then told that your process team would be in touch within 24-48hrs. We waited until Wednesday and still nothing. We received our first email from process@ on Thursday 15th Feb, detailing that there was an outstanding balance of £13.19 on the account and that is why the account had been suspended. As detailed in the email sent by Jenna Dillane in the Process Team, that we would now receive an email in order to login to the account and pay the outstanding invoice and the account would be activated again. Despite requesting that the account be sent to this email as the email that Jenna set the account up was attached to the suspended account she still set this up incorrectly.

On email I requested it to be setup using this email (**). We then were able to get to a screen to login, at this prompt we realised we had no password setup and therefore called 1and1 support. We were advised at this point to request a 'forgotten password'. We did this and then reset the account only to discover this did not work. We then called 1and1 support again, and this was looked into further, with 1and1 testing why it would not work. We were then at this point told that we had to make payment of the outstanding £13.19 to your collections department before anything could be done. I find it absolutely staggering that we only found this out 4 days after the initial request was put in. If we had known this factor and were able to pay the outstanding on the Monday I would have assumed you could have activated the account at this point.

So on confirmation and payment to the collections team, I was then told on the Thursday that we would have to wait another 24-48hrs for this to be 'processed'. I cannot understand why when the payment has gone through and I have a receipt number that the account at this point cannot be reactivated or sorted out. It is now Friday 13.30 on the 5th day of this starting, and I have just called up 1and1. I had to wait 20 minutes on hold while the assistant looked into the issue only to have to explain everything to her again. Where all she said is that you have to wait 24-48hrs. And she was not able to answer the simple question of whether that was 24hrs from now or 24hrs from today. This has meant that my business has had no website or emails for an entire week. This has cost us dearly because of the total incompetence, false information, misleading messages, and lack of actually understanding what we are asking to get this sorted.

As soon as we get our account activated again and the domain names that we own re-established we will leave 1and1 immediately. I cannot understand why in this electronic age you cannot get your processes enabled quickly, and the fact that the amount of incorrect information we have been given along the way of this absolutely horrendous example of customer service and care has been allowed to happen. You are a multimillion pound company looking after small businesses such as my own, we have suffered greatly due to your terrible service here and it is quite simply so unfair and you should not be allowed to trade in this way. I will be taking this complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service with full documentation of what has gone wrong here. I hope on this 5th day that this can all be resolved although I have little faith in your services or customer support.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have several domain names registered with 1&1. When they knew that I am trying to host my domains in Google, they tried to stop that by sending a mail stating my activities are suspicious and I should submit my address proof to them. I do not trust them to keep my sensitive data. Never do any business with this corrupt establishment.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I wanted to reserve a domain. The site said it would cost $14.95, so I accepted. The next day I found out they charged my cc $2994. And they won't refund my money and they don't stand behind their 30 day money back policy even though the fault is 100% theirs. Scam company, run more like a criminal enterprise than anything else.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

LiveMNC Data Center server uptime is good from 1and1 host - Previously my TV channel website dedicated server hosted with 1and1 but server is down in 2 or 3 days so I decided to change my host and now taken server with LiveMNC.com data center. And now my websites are working fine without any issue. I'm impressed with highly technical sound tech team and speed of work and quick response and friendliness, I can solve some tech issues even in chat on LiveMNC website. I am recommend LiveMNC data center host.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We have thousands of domains with this company and are no longer able to manage the cancellations because of constant timing out issues. It now causes us hours of lost time calling in then have this manually done. I have many tickets open over this extending over a year... Really terrible. I now have another open ticket ** which they said escalates to the top. The last I heard was "you have too many domains in your packages". OK... So then I ask for their help to fix this issue and they say nothing can be done.

So here we are with thousands of domains and no way to manage the cancellation process. We are even having problems adding more domains to our contracts. Not sure what is going on, but if I could move we would... Because so many domains are configured independently it is nearly impossible to move. Not sure why a great customer spending thousands of dollars a month is treated this way.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

1&1 deleted, without notice, a domain and mailbox purchased from them on November 20. Upon calling them on the 29th, I am told it was marked as fraud and deleted. I queries why wasn't an email sent asking for further verification or warn of intent to delete same. They are apologizing and telling me that the mailbox was deleted and they only keep backup for 1 week. Our company placed an ad for a senior level position in our national newspaper on a Sunday, but an error was published and two characters switched in the domain name. This resulted in us purchasing the domain to offset this error. What company only keeps backup for a week??? This quality of service is ridiculous and their operations need to be audited and reviewed. Having a refund doesn't help in this case. POOOR COMMUNICATION. In their case 1 & 1 = -2.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Very Misleading. Didn't take me long to dump them. Purchased a dedicated server and then spent hours trying to upload cPanel and kept getting a fatal error after 85% done and did this several times, Same thing. At this point oh well I called support. They tell me while being rude and not getting nowhere. Finally they tell me at this point which took the 3rd person to tell me, "We don't offer root access on dedicated servers." Imagine a 1 TB server without one. Had 2 invoices billed but not substantiated and or incorrect. Will be traveling to Scranton, PA and would like to pass through Chesterbrook to see how really big their so called ISP is. Probably in a basement in a house. A product of the old days. I found Hivelocity.net and they back everything they say. Excellent support and puts a lot of others including them to shame. So Sebastian needs to get a grip. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

They charge my credit card for a cancelled order. 41$. This company thinks she's gonna go far by ripping off clients. Don't know how this company is still operational. I called them and spoke to 4 agents asking me same thing even if I'm not customers and don't have a pin to log in. This is crazy. Just type of sneaking your complain. One of their agent Christ hung up the phone on me. Hey Christ go back to school grade 8. They will teach you DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CLIENTS AND CUSTOMERS. If not so lower it to grade 4. Now I have to dispute this transaction through my bank and report this fraudulent action to FTC. BE AWARE PLEASE. DO NOT DEAL WITH 1&1. TRY GODADDY IS THE BEST.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I ordered a cloud server package and was charged for it. A few days later, 1&1 sent me an invoice asking me for payment. I check my card transactions, I was already charged... but the invoice in 1&1 is still active...

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

At 14-OCT-2017 I was wanted to buy a domain from 1and1.com. $13 taken after continuing order process. After payment, immediately got an order processing mail. On that email they said your order is now processing. I logged into their control panel with my customer I'd and password, in domain section I saw there is no domain in the domain section. I thought though they said my order is processing so it may take 24 hours to become active my domain. Ok, I was pretty much busy because of my college's exam purpose. After two days I again logged into the control panel and again saw there is no domain in my account. I immediately contacted with their chat support and they said, “Your support team will call you, please pick the phone call”. I received the phone call, one of their support officer said me that my domain will be activated within 20 minutes.

After 24 hours I again logged in and again saw there is no domain in my account. I again connect with their chat support they said, "Send a mail in your support mail address you will be given a solution soon". Well, I sent a mail to their support email address. They didn't respond anything. After then I connect with their chat support for several times. Every time they said me, “Please send an email to your support email address”. Last 3 times, I asked to refund my dollars. When I start talking about money refund they become silent. If I can remember this harassment, I will never buy any 1&1 service anymore in my whole life.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I request domain transfer to 1&1 but I did not get any login information nor username, when I contact to customer support they did not cooperate with me. They just ignored me. Also I email to billing also send the snapshot for transaction and snapshot during bill, but I did not get login information. There is not good live chat support team just time West support team.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I've never used 1&1's hosting, but have purchased 10-15 domains at one time or another, now I am down to three domains. Because I had problems with my Paypal account and 1&1 could not bill me, I logged in after years of just parking these domains and automatically paying my bill. I noticed I was billed for two domains, that I have canceled years ago. There was a clear note saying, "customer canceled" next to the domain contracts. Last year, a credit was issued back to my account on these two canceled domains immediately after the billing, so it looked as though the system was correcting itself. But I was still charged (and paid) for many years after cancellation.

I pointed the problem out to a customer service rep on the phone and he said I need to send an email about those prior years. I did not pay the outstanding bill for one of the domains, because the credit that needs to be issued for the years I was charged after cancellation of two domains would cover the cost of the bill (for a domain I am keeping). Since I was setting up a new computer and had other more pressing tasks to deal with, I postponed sending this email for two weeks. I would have written a quick email if not for the annoying detail of having to sort and match domain names with contract numbers. The invoices do not have the purchased domain name on them, just the contract number (of the purchase) and the more domains you have with 1&1, the more tedious the task.

After two weeks, I logged back into 1&1 and the whole site had changed. My canceled domains were no longer listed, so there was no record that I had canceled these contracts and the credits issued last year were also gone. It was revisionist history before my very eyes. Only thing that was still showing were the credits issued two weeks ago by the rep I had spoken to on the phone. When I called Customer Service again to get the email address, he shouted at me and said I never canceled the domains until last week. So there is now no point in sending an email, b/c everything I had to say would be rendered fictional since my account has been wiped clean of all evidence! I paid the outstanding bill so I could transfer my domains out of 1&1.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I've purchased several domains from 1&1, although no more. Even though 1&1 advertising on their product says: "Including FREE private registration" by default, 1&1 makes my personal information available for the public to find which results in my personal email being SPAMMED BY 30-50 COMPANIES. In order to turn off THEIR DEFAULT PUBLIC SETTINGS I have to log in and go to each domain I purchase and go to privacy settings. Problem is, by the time I realize WHAT 1&1 HAS DONE TO ME, IT'S TOO LATE.

Now, I have to start the process of blocking emails and phone numbers as I am hammered for the next 3 months. GoDaddy charges for privacy BUT AT LEAST THEY GIVE YOU THE OPTION UPFRONT IN A NOTICEABLE WAY. I will be looking elsewhere to purchase my internet products from now on and I advise anyone that doesn't want a ton of Spam and Telemarketers to STAY AWAY FROM 1&1.

Original review: June 22, 2017

DO NOT USE 1&1. SCAMMERS, I took out a simple few domain names and 60 started coming out of my bank every month from 1&1. Dont have clue what I'm being charged for as the domains were only cheap. I'm outraged they should be closed down!

Original review: June 20, 2017

DO NOT Do Business with 1&1 (1and1.com)!! I used to have over 100 domains in my 1&1 portfolio, and due to their mismanagement and convoluted system (including but not limited to platform navigation, contracts and up-selling everything), one of my more valuable domains was accidentally cancelled and wound-up in redemption. When I finally discovered that and reached-out to them, I arranged for the renewal (in time) only to subsequently discover that it was dropped with no viable explanation provided. That domain is now listed for sale with Uniregistry.com for $1,395!! I thought 1&1 would do the right thing and arrange to have that domain transferred back into my account.

And so I reached-out to them with a detailed eMail and received a generic reply from their Solutions Manager stating...“Unfortunately, we are not able to re-obtain the domain name in question, as it is currently registered with someone else, but as a courtesy for the trouble, I have applied a credit on this account equal to a .com domain renewal ($15.17), to provide you with a domain name renewal for free for the year. This credit will be applied to any upcoming invoice from this account until the $15.17 is spent.”

Nice huh?? 1&1 had been inconsistent with their supervision and here was yet another example of their system failing me. Something like this would have NEVER happened just a few years ago when their supervisors were based in U.S.A. (Philadelphia) before moving their operations overseas. And so I cancelled my account and WILL NOT be using any of their other services (to build-out sites and monetize other domains, etc.). I'm already using a number of my other domains for affiliate-related businesses (which were originally listed with 1&1). Considering how many domains I had listed with them, that was undoubtedly a poor business decision on their behalf (taking into account all of the renewals and related business that was intended to go to them). As a satisfied client, I would have been happy to provide positive feedback on social media. Sadly, these reviews will reflect a negative experience.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I used 1&1 Internet for my business and it was easy to set-up and works great for my business. So when my peers from a youth program I help to run asked me to set-up a website for youth program, I recommended 1&1 Internet even though they wanted to Domain.com. 1&1 Internet advertises a referral program so I thought I would try it since I convinced the youth program to use 1&1 Internet. I set-up the new domain and instead of them creating a new account for it, 1&1 Internet added to my existing business account, even though the billing information was completely different. When I called them about it, they told me there would be a fee to transfer it to a new account and never answered my questions about the referral program. So then I spent many hours creating the new website for our youth program only to find out that the URL for the site was different than the new domain, very confusing.

I called and spent about an hour on the phone to get it fixed so when you typed in our domain it would go to the website I spent hours building. Later on I found out the emails for the new domain were deleted and I was unable to re-create them. I called again and the customer service representative told me that I needed to move the domain in their system but that the website would still be connected to the domain. I asked several times because I did not want to lose what I built. He assured me that when everything switched over in their system that I would be able to create the email accounts and the website would be linked to the domain.

About an hour later, I was able to create email accounts but the website did not transfer over, I called them back again. This time I was told that nothing was wrong on their end and they do not know why it was not working, so he had to submit a ticket for a Supervisor to look at and he told me that since it was Saturday night, that there were no supervisors in but that I could call back during the day on Sunday and they would be in. I called back on Sunday and I was told that none of the Supervisors were working today and they would not be in until Monday. I explained that I needed the site up and running yesterday due to marketing material that was going out and he stated that there was nothing that he could do. I am very frustrated and feel like the referral program was a scam to get more business. I wished we would have went with Domain.com and plan to change when my contract is up.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I always dread having to call 1&1. Most times, I get someone on the line who is learning and is no more advanced than me. Tonight, I waited 30 minutes and no one ever got on the line. I wonder how long the leaders of 1&1 are willing to wait when they call a company before they lose patience? Come on 1&1, you're better than this!

1&1 Company Information