1.14/5

1and1

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

107 1&1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Beware, this company will ** you where it hurts, in the wallet. They charge your account for false fees, auto renew your contracts, and make sure that their billing emails make it to your spam folder. So convenient for an email company. Spam folder. WOW.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I hosted a Christian church website with 1&1 for many years here in North Wales. But over time, their web hosting fees started rising rapidly. One month, I received several notices of increase charges. Because I didn't want to pass the hosting costs on to my church, and couldn't afford the increased costs myself, I decided to terminate my contracts with 1&1.

That was when the trouble really started. I expected to have to pay some sort of cancellation fees. What I didn't expect was that 1&1 would go after me for MORE money by means of a debt-collection company! Because I had had no previous experience with debt-collection companies, I stupidly paid the money: over £100 in all. I was simply afraid of having my credit rating blackened. Later, I discovered that the debt-collection company, Arvato, are intimately linked with 1&1 and that the best thing to do is to ignore their bogus requests for payment. You can check all this for yourself by simply type "Arvato 1&1" into Google's search box. Bottom line: avoid 1&1 like the plague.

Get expert buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have used 1&1 for over a decade, through multiple mergers and changes. While there are issues with any digital serves I can honestly say (as a paying; multiple-accounts shared and dedicated servers) that nothing is 100%, however, I have always had my issues resolved. Let's all understand that pricing changes, fact. So when we get through all of these notes and I know some have had a bad experience it only takes a moment to keep on top of automatic requests from them. Yes - A new account I created was tagged 'fraudulent' I resolved. Domain prices changes (so does my wireless phone bill). To clarify I do not work for 1&1 and do not know anyone that does. Yes - 1and1.com still owes me commision fees, I recommend them for the services I have come to know, use and depend on.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

1&1 have renewed my contract without contacting me to explain why this was attached to an old bank card. They have now passed the £24 bill onto a debt collector for a domain I no longer use nor do I want. They have also suspended the domain so even if I did pay the account isn't available for me to use?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

When it came time to renew my domain names, I couldn't find the exact price in the renewal notices I had gotten from 1&1. When I finally gave up and called them to ask, the rep lied and said 'Don't worry, the price is the same as last time.' False- they had raised their prices. After I moved the names to a different registrar they refused to give me a refund. I had to claw the money back through my credit-card issuer. Maybe it's no surprise that 1&1 is changing their name. Their new name will be "Ionos". Beware of them under either name, they're dishonest.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

WARNING. WORST SERVICE 1&1. In July 2018, I tried to call 1&1 for THREE days to ask for support and unable to connect to its phone number, which is provided from the website. We were really pissed as our work got delayed. We were about to upgrade the contract but started feeling bad about the support 1&1 provide. I did only one year contract with 1&1, somehow they automatically renew my contract. Right, I thought this company is just a joke because of its bad service provider. But no, they start playing Debt Collector game. It is only $30.cc ($11.cc for 1&1 and $18.cc for the debt collector), we are as a team will give you ONE star and very disappointed reviews.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

They have been charging me for domain hosting without my permission. I signed up for emails only. Spent 6 hours on the phone without reaching a single competent person. NO supervisor and my company emails, that I paid to have stored, are lost. There are no supervisors or managers to handle any problems. They only have accountants to repeatedly charge your bank account without permission. Horrible. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

1&1 lured me with their discounts. I bought their hosting and domain, but they kept me on hold without any notice. When contacted customer care, their arrogant executive were irritating. Later got a mail saying they have terminated my account because I am fraudulent. There was just few details missing about me, they charged full money from me, and haven't refund it yet. When asked to customer they ask me to wait, now waiting from long time. Great way to earn money 1&1...

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Beware of this company. I pay this fraud company to book my domain. This company makes my domain on hold once I pay money, If they people have some issue with my domain or anything else they should raise issue before payment but once I pay money, in my login panel shows domain on hold, bloody **. I book domain on my company name. There is copyright issues in there, my preferred name is totally fresh but they bloody ** mail me that wait for 24 hours, That's means I'll get my domain after domain hours but in that 24 hours time someone other book my same domain from another website. I lose my Domain Access forever and lose money also.

Please don't buy anything from this fraud company, They always takes 24-48 hours in domain booking. This is bloody suck company. If you wish to lose money and waste your time so you have great offer provided by this scammer corporation. I got this company details from Google ads but my experience is enough bad. I never suggest anyone to buy anything from this fraud company, I still did not get refund from this fraud company. Please beware from barking dogs and 1&1, because both makes you in problem.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. I deactivated my autorenewal and cancelled my domain. They still took money from my account anyway and bounced my bank account. And then when I called, after keeping me on hold a stupid length of time, they ARGUED with me over whether or not I deactivated my autorenewal. In the end, I MIGHT get my money back but they certainly will not pay for the mistake of overdrawing my bank account by taking a fee they were NOT authorized to take. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT sign up with these people. They are a rip-off.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Most horrible experience!!! I requested to 1&1 Internet Inc for host and transfer my domain services, but 16 hours later I saw it that they were adding a service that I did not order. I called and requested to their customer services to cancel everything because I did not want to have any business relations with them. This information was provided in writing to the company, but they are still charging me for a service never received and refused to read my emails or review the recorded calls, so I can conclude that they have harassing business practices. Can someone advise me what steps do I have to follow to stop this company harassment?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

These absolute scumbags decided to auto register for me for domains that I didn't want, threatened me with debt collectors if I didn't pay their ludicrous rates and then called them to my elderly parents' address after I told them I didn't live in the country anymore. Look online at the other feedback. Avoid this company like the plague. I will not stop until I have escalated this everywhere. Vile company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

1&1 never could get our website up and running. We let our registration lapse and they tried to hold it for ransom for $90. After calling Customer Service we were told they would release it in 60 days. They did not keep their word. We did a search for our domain name and found out that they registered for themselves for another year - even though our domain is nothing special and no one would want it - unless you want to collect ransom. I wish we could give negative stars.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have woken up consistently for the past 2 weeks with my account locked almost daily for random reasons that I was not made aware of or were beyond my control as the company made claims they were not able to charge my card on multiple accounts for $4.99 to $9.98. The money was available on all cards provided to this company. I was then sent communication that my payment needed to be wired which was done from my bank account with Bank of America with confirmation sent to 1and1 with screenshots and confirmation number.

Upon awakening as of 8/9/18 a new invoice was sent overnight with a dunning fee dated 8/9/18 and my account was locked again. Waking up to new issues with my sites not properly running after the yearly payment has already been made directly affects my business operations and is beyond unprofessional. I would not recommend anyone attempting to develop a digital presence online to entrust their hard work in the hands of 1and1 and I will be contacting my attorney in regards to any business losses in regards to this.

Original review: July 26, 2018

1&1 stole my business domain because I had a friend help me set up my website - who got suckered into using them. They held it for a year and then set up a side business called SEDO and tried to sell it to me for $685 USD. I’m still in the process of getting it back - very slowly and very frustrating. Avoid these guys like the plague. They are completely unethical.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I bought the domain from them, however all of a sudden they blocked my account saying because of the security reason they locked my account and they need my government issued ID. I provided them the ID and they said everything is good and within few minutes I can use my domain. But it has been 3 days. They still locked my domain for no reason. They are saying it's a system glitch from their end and they may need 2 weeks to fix this issue. So ridiculous!!! Customer service and security team were very rude.

Original review: June 20, 2018

As previous commenters have stated below this is a fraudulent and unethical company. I was suckered into my first year contract with a $12 offer, in the subsequent year I paid $100 for the renewal -- way overpriced for the service. So at the end of the 2nd term I let my card expire and I let the account lapse as I no longer needed the service. Instead of just terminating my account they sent a bill of $126 to collections! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I used to have a domain with this company which is expired. They kept contacting me to renew that domain but I did not do it because I am no more longer need that domain as the project associate with that domain name is called off. So, I thought it fine for the domain to be disable and expired. Then later, I purchase a new domain name with them due to their heavy promotion and the price is almost 50% cheaper than Namecheap. So, I proceed with my order and paid them via PayPal & I thought the process won't take more than 30 minute to get my new domain. But they hold my order & my payment for more than 48 hours. Then, I got an email stating I owe them a debit related to the expired the domain that I used to have with them.

What is the hell is that? Why should I pay for a domain that I no longer need it. They scammed you with so call contract that link to the domain that I have to pay. They force me to pay for something that I do not use. They hold my payment for 7 days otherwise the order will be cancelled if no payment done for the renewal. I do not recommend this company to anyone as you lot of better choices in the market. Do not get fooled with their discount and low prices as they have a lot of hidden agenda and unclear policies. Stay away from 1&1/1and1, their scrap and super slow processing order.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had screenshots of all I did on the transfer, because I heard they were scammers. I had never got the corresponding emails you get from them when you unlock, turn off proxy and get EPP code. I had called tech support at 1&1.com several times to see why emails were not sent. The domain expired yesterday. They want me to pay to renew with them first and then transfer to new registrar having to pay new registrar again. That defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do, that is why I initiated transfer last month. They say it never happened, Thank god for GPRS data export too, that in addition to my screenshots proves they are liars. GO anywhere but here. And research them on the web, there is a lot of bad stuff written about them.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I do not recommend anyone to 1&1 Internet, Ltd (1and1). First of all, they promised you cheap products but is a trap. You buy, during renewal, you pay more than double. The technical support team are a joke, they are careless and unhelpful and also it takes weeks to solve a simple problem.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I was charged for a renewal after being told I wouldn't be charged. This was on an account I was not using at the time, which resulted in my account being overdrawn. They took 15 days to refund through Paypal. At that time, I set all other products to disable autorenew. Two months later, I receive an invoice for a product I previously disabled autorenew. I call and am told I have to call to speak with cancellations the next day. I did not trust them to not charge me given the previous charge that happened despite being told I would not be charged. I expressed this to the customer service rep, and they may have noted that on my account.

When I called the next day to the cancellation department, the man cancelled my services. He told me this, and then basically hung up on me. I would not recommend this company, as I find their billing tactics to be deceptive. I feel like they are intentionally hoping people do not see they renewed and charged their accounts.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The most horrible company. I used the company services only two week because were not good, after one year and three month I received a letter from a collection company for $114.83 and never communicated with me to charge this money before. THIS IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND IRRESPONSIBLE COMPANY. NO RECOMMENDED.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Wonder how PayPal and credit card companies have not blacklisted them. They take money but your user id and password will never be sent to you. Good luck trying to dispute charges. I wish I had done bit of research before paying these scamsters.

Original review: April 10, 2018

A recent experience with 1and1 hosting company... Note: I've been a loyal customer with 1and1 for about 5 years now... No more now. We have a "Managed" account and our entire 1and1 server recently went down (April 6, 2018). The 1and1 Server techs were on vacation and could NOT get to our server until 3 days later. Meanwhile our E-commerce website was DOWN for a total of almost 4 days... blank page. Nothing. My customers were calling me trying to place orders... Could not do anything.

Tried calling the 1and1 Phone tech support. They said they could not do nothing until the "Server" techs in Germany got back from their vacations. Totally ridiculous and a Joke! Total max time a website/server should be down is usually about 1-3 hours. My website was down for almost 4 DAYS! The 1and1 support said some compensation will be given to us... They gave us a Free month of hosting which was about $300 US dollars... I probably lost about $3-4k of weekend sales! I want as many people to know about this incident as possible and will continue to tell what happened at 1and1.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Not sure where these people are but that's not the problem. They are mainly concerned with saving face and their own job security. Difficult problem? Need a real expert? You're out of luck with 1 and 1 because any demand for an escalation or a supervisor get you disconnected or on eternal hold! I have had this exact experience with the Asian call centers of other companies as well.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Clicked on a link for their email services and studied the page and found the fine print which pretty much made the ad headline meaningless so didn’t sign up.

Next week I get a bill saying we can’t bill us, "So please provide billing information to avoid disruption of your service." No service was identified just a small bill and pay up or lose service threat.

I responded for two weeks that I had no service with them and would not pay the fraud bill. I also packet sniffed their website and found it was skimming cookies from my computer upon visits which I’m sure was used to generate the fake account. Not satisfied with my no answer they phoned my company’s public phone number. When I still said no I got the "I can’t cancel the account even though I am billing" game. First it was transferred to new sales reps. Trained not to take no for an answer. Then after they ran out of those it was off to their fraud department where they tried to intimidate me into paying. They hung up when I told them I had all the notes and had recorded the entire call.

Original review: March 21, 2018

In January this year, I noticed two charges on my debit card that I did not recognize. One was for $5, which had already been reversed. One was for $19.99. It posted to my account on 05 Jan 2018. Both from 1&1 Internet. I am not, nor have I ever been, a customer of this company. I called my bank, cancelled my card and had the charge successfully returned. A couple weeks later, I received a call from a customer service representative of 1&1 Internet. He was inquiring if I was happy with their service. I informed him that I never placed an order, the charges were fraudulent, and I had already disputed this with my bank.

On 20 Mar 2018, I received a letter from Central Credit Services, LLC, based out of Jacksonville, FL. They are demanding ~$80 for services from 1&1 Internet. Today, I mailed my dispute letter to them. This company has a number of complaints against them with the BBB and a quick internet search reveals a long history of unethical, possibly fraudulent business practices. I have tried to contact 1&1 directly, but I am never able to get through on the phone and they do not have any email addresses posted. I have already filed complaints with the BBB, FTC & Michigan AG.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Fraudulent activity of 1&1 Internet Inc. This is the worst company I have come across. I bought a domain name from them and paid for one year and paid in full. Within 2 months, I was sent another invoice, which I disputed and my domain was deactivated in spite of the fact that I have proof of payment for one year.

Original review: March 14, 2018

They give your private info to another companies. As soon as I bought a domain and saved my phone number with them, people started calling for telemarketing. They are asking me if I need to build my new domains. I receive 40-50 phone calls a day. It is very frustrating. I also can't remove my phone number from their web page.

Original review: March 7, 2018

This is possibly the worst company I have ever dealt with. On January 17th, I got notice of hosting renewal for $95.88. Prior to that, I had only gotten domain renewal for $15.17. The notice for hosting said my card would be charged within 7 days. I did not want to renew the hosting, only the domain. I logged in to my account and removed auto-renewal and also emailed letting them know I only wanted to renew the domain. On January 22nd, my card was charged $111.05. I asked for a refund of $95.88 three separate times. Over a week after being charged, I filed an amount dispute with my bank. 1&1 still did not refund me.

I was finally issued a credit invoice on February 16th for $95.88, but did not receive the refund. Then, on February 20th, my card was charged for $15.17 for the domain, citing failure to pay. The charge for $15.17 was refunded (after multiple complaints). I am still waiting for the $95.88 to be refunded. I have received every excuse imaginable, including the "Solutions Manager" telling me on March 2nd that they had trouble processing the refund because I filed a dispute. He told me "that a dispute ceases all interaction between 1&1 and the card on file". If that is true, how did they both charge and refund me the $15.17 after February 16th on the same card? He also told me I would hear back on March 5th. It's now the 7th and still nothing. This has been a 7 week nightmare!

1&1 Company Information