3.7/5 (266 ratings)

About Ionos by 1&1

Ionos by 1&1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I'm Frustrated! Worst decision I've ever made. I've been trying to point my domain at GoDaddy from few days but their system failed. The domain status is "UPDATING" at Ionos.com. I contacted to support. They reset my domain settings by telling it would take 24 to 48 hours to rest. It's "STUCK". After that, I've to wait more 24 to 48 hours to point my website at GoDaddy. It was already stuck in updating from their side, and they resets. Which will take more days to update and still I don't know it'll gonna work or not, still waiting, my domain "clickkaro.pk" and "aramsaay.pk". Also I've to wait for their working hours if they don't operate 24 hours.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I purchase domain and hosting promotion plan from Ionos.com by 1&1 by my Visa debit card. When I paid amount I receive receipt from Ionos.. but when I log in its fails. I try again and again but failed. When I chat Ionos chatbox he say that I have no record against your email.

Get buying tips about Web Hosting delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

The absolute worst experience anyone could ever have with a host. Our website was hacked with a brute force in June not long after launching a donation portal. I requested assistance from Ionos second tier support but never heard back from them. After months of trying to determine what to do, since somehow my website was routing to a shill credit union site in Minnesota and forwarding to a cryptocurrency site and others that I won't mention, I deleted my entire server EXCEPT for the hidden files that I could not delete and Ionos refused to delete which were in the log files that the hacker FTPd the code and the several files that were hidden by ionos and that they would not delete (hidden files admitted by an ionos rep). I lost months of time and, I am sure, a lot of donations due to this cluster ** of a company. Stay very far way from them.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I hired this Ionos Company for a website design. I gave them content, They cut most my content. Used inferior fonts and design. For the next few months, they promised to fix it but not a single piece of work was done or even attempted. Over the course of these four months, 80% of my calls to Ionos were either unanswered or disconnected, sometimes after multiple transfers. Every "successful call" ended with "I will get back to you" and that never happened.

In my view they were stalling so enough time would pass that I could not claim a refund from my VISA card. Apparently they rely on a "our service is non refundable" and apparently that includes never having completed the service. I have never been disappointed in my VISA Card before but they decided against me even though the work was never completed MUCH LESS completed in any capable manner. IONOS started with a low price, but I learned the hard way their quantity of quality is in negative numbers. Is that even possible? They stole from me. Let The Buyer Beware.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I started 2 domains for a friend who was not sure how to do this. They were on discounted first year of 99 each. I received invoices monthly saying that there was a £0.00 monthly charge until I received the final one saying there would be a £36 monthly charge. I immediately cancelled auto renewal and received an email saying they would not be renewed. I then receive a Paypal invoice for £36 3 days later to Ionos by 1&1.

I then contact them and find that they send out their invoice post event so the renewal was already taken from my credit card, even though they stated in the email that the renewal would no longer happen. They then tell me in their terms and conditions that the fee is non refundable. After a long telephone conversation with 2 of their employees I eventually get the hosting package money back reducing it by £7. This was a fight as the first employee tried to imply that nothing could be done. I would not recommend working with this company & suggest reading other reviews as I wish I had first. It may be just my way of thinking but their emails suggest they are informing you prior to taking your money and give you alternatives if you don't want to have the money taken. Actually the deal is done and your money has gone and there is nothing you can do about it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

As a former employee of both GoDaddy.com and BlueHost.com as well as the 2 largest ISP's in America, this company is embarrassing. I know how long they've been around and the ineptitude coupled with the devious sales page for something as simple as a domain purchase is bare minimum without decency. After trying to navigate the mess of invoices and contracts listed in my account, I believed I had canceled my subscriptions, of which I didn't formally agree to in the first place. Then after multiple attempts to charge my account I get an email stating I now owe 4x the amount for a product I never chose or wanted. Calling on the weekend, the representative sent me an email to call again during the week to cancel what should already be canceled. It's so heartbreaking the way we have learned to treat other humans for the sake of a few bucks.

Resolution response: July 12, 2021

This problem has been resolved but according to their bad support, I give 3 stars.

Original review: July 11, 2021

I had to order on this fraudulent site a domain name and a web hosting. And for several days I have been charged on my credit card but still nothing. They blocked the hosting and I try to talk with them via the chat and they do not even answer. The support is really horrible... Too bad you can't give 0 stars otherwise I would have given them without hesitation... This is my first order on their site and I am disappointed with their service. I am very disappointed. Moreover I don't even have the possibility to have my money back. This service is just losing its credibility for nothing at all after so many years of service. It's really deplorable... I lost my money with them but I hope that my comment can prevent many other people from being so badly scammed...

Original review: June 29, 2021

I have been a computer consultant to Law Firms for over 30 years. I deal with Domain Name hosting, maintenance of DNS records, domain name transfers on at least a weekly basis. I have done SCORES of domain name transfers. IONOS is the first company I have EVER seen who deleted the DNS records in their system when a Domain name transfer is INITIATED instead of when it is COMPLETE. It's a swift kick in the rear on your way out the door with a steel toed boot.

The result is that you are left with NO ACTIVE DOMAIN ON THE INTERNET, meaning you can no longer receive email until you sort it out, and it requires a lot of hassle with the destination registrar. HINT: if you leave IONOS, make sure you carefully, MANUALLY DOCUMENT ALL your DNS records (thankfully I always do that just in case) AND, before you go, set the domain registrant email addresses all for a domain that is NOT the domain you are transferring - or, like me, you will find yourself unable to finalize the domain transfer via email confirmation because you will have no MX records pointing to your email server. It's like being stuck in irons (sailing reference). It SUCKS. These guys SUCK. They didn't even wait 12 hours before they deleted the DNS records from the time the transfer was initiated by the new registrar.

Original review: June 16, 2021

IONOS by 1&1 » SCAMMING Hosting Provider| RIPP OFF Websites. Domains. Server. SCAMMERS. WILL RIP YOU OFF. BEWARE. IONOS SCAMMERS beware. The brand by 1&1 for SCAMMING CUSTOMERS websites, domains, server and more — Your leading webhost SCAMMER ONLINE and partner in specialist cloud solutions. The Filipinos need to make money for answering their calls 24/7. They bill your account even after you cancel your contract. I have been billed almost $400 and every time you cancel a contract they still debit your credit card. DO NOT TRUST IONOS.CA OR IONS.COM.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I currently have several domain names hosted with this company, and two of the domains I chose not to renew. However, my account is now suspended and being held hostage for $75 for the renewal of those two domains. I called support and was told to "read the fine print in their terms and conditions". Then he further stated that I should have clicked the button not to renew. Honestly, I completely forgot about the domains and did not click that button as it had been a year and simply forgot...I mean, it was only a pandemic right? So this part can be debated.

Where the REAL issue is... they have suspended my ENTIRE account and holding the domains that are in good standing and PAID FOR hostage as well. They have "locked" them....so I can't do anything with those either. This is where it seems to be illegal to block something that you have already paid for and there is no outstanding balance. This is unscrupulous and I have filed several complaints with various agencies for their "strong-arm" tactics. Beware of this company, and if you decide to do business with them... don't forget to read the "fine print"!

Ionos by 1&1 Company Information