2.29/5
Based on 171 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a weight loss program?

Last updated: April 20, 2018

190 Herbalife Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 20, 2018

Herbalife is probably the WORST company I have ever dealt with. They are also massive LIARS! Be warned and do not believe the 30 day money back guarantee that they advertise as this is completely untrue. I bought the products and used them for a week but throughout I had a reaction to them and suffered massive stomach pains, I was very unwell and my doctor advised me to stop taking them. I got in touch with ** who sold them to me, ** on Instagram (beware) and she agreed to give me a refund and asked me to send the products back, for which I did and paid £12 to do so.

I am still waiting for my refund and she now refuses to give me my money back, I have called the customer services number and no one got back to me after they said 48 hours. This is literally the worst experience I have had. The products themselves are also very dangerous so take them with caution, there are so many ingredients in there that don't even make sense, you are better off following the body reset diet which is natural smoothies which are a balanced meal none of this radioactive crap!!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I found this product to be extremely helpful. I have a motor neuron disease and am physically unable to maintain exercise programs due to other health issues, including epidermolysis bullosa simplex and PCOS etc. None of the diets recommended by doctors or specialists were having any results. I devoutly followed Atkins, CSIRO heart foundation, Bodytrim. I gained weight. I spoke to a nutritionist and a weight specialist and they both said they were sorry, but it seemed that I could survive on a peanut and there was little hope to lose weight. These diets and processes were costly and disappointing. I decided to try this product after the birth of my child, it was breastfeeding friendly and instead of gaining a kg per week as on other diet programmes, I lost a kg per week.

I had so much energy and felt great. I have had to stop purchasing this product however as it is not affordable. If you have the income to support it, it's fantastic. I found the best diet they offered was near $700 per month AU. Worth every penny if you can afford it. For me that worked out to $175 per kg lol! But I watched others without my health issues shed easily 10 kg in the first month and feel great for it. I tried the basic diet plan at $250 per month and it had no effect on my weight, but I didn't gain more as on other diets. I found the consultant I dealt with to be money oriented and it made me uncomfortable. I later met another consultant that was lovely and in the business for the right reasons.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2018

One of the worst experience with the Associate Ashsish ** who deals in these products and stays in TDI Kundli - Sonipat Haryana. This fellow in totally unprofessional, arrogant, ill-mannered. He is a cheat of the highest degree and sells these products at very exorbitant rates compared to other associates. If confronted, never returns them. Even forcefully sells its products and hardly picks the phone when tried to return them. This Associate try to fool so BEWARE of this fellow... HE IS A CHEAT.

Original review: March 1, 2018

These Herbalife guys are cheats. Product is good but the associates are very cunning and money minded. I gave money for a product with one associate in Bangalore and he never delivered the product. I stopped the product itself and moved to Amway. Amway has better professionalism and good associates so don’t try this. Else you need to be an associate yourself but it is not worth it. Try Amway instead.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I have done business with Herbalife for many years. Their customer service has gone way downhill in the last year. My credit card company kept blocking my order so I tried to change the card on Herbalife's system but it did not work on the recording. I was told that it could not be changed. The order was blocked five more times. Herbalife did not even call to let me know. I finally got them to change it but the next month they used my old card and the result was it was blocked again. You would think I could get help. I waited 30 minutes for a supervisor who then changed the card but I was told my order would take a while to get. They refused to send it out in a quicker way even though it was their fault. I am considering using another company. Thanks for letting me air this complaint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Herbalife?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Herbalife is a good product. The formula one, which is your meal supplement, taste more like smoothie than a diet shake. In overall the products are of good quality. If you take as recommended you should have results. I lost 40lbs my first round, it is a lifestyle change but the results are great. The people who sell it can be a bit pushy but if you overlook that and get to know the products offered you can understand why it has been in business over 30 years.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I tried to support my friend by buying some product. She was close to throwing all her products away since she could not sell it. She spent thousands of dollars and was stuck with the inventory. As for me, I had rectal bleeding for 2 days. I went to my doctor and he couldn't figure out why and we decided to go back to the same diet before Herbalife and my rectal bleeding went away. I used ** for the massive hemorrhoids. I told my friend and she did not believe me and gave me some meal replacement. I was reluctant to take it but tried it again. After two days I was urinating blood and my hemorrhoids returned. I broke out with blisters on my lips. My friend who sold me the product told me her aunt was urinating blood as well so I don't think it was a coincidence. Please avoid this product as much as possible.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I need urgently to be help by Herbalife USA as my membership is from there, when I came to South Africa try changing address and send all documents necessary but they insisted that I need it IRS number which I don't have here. So just like that no more option were given to do transfer. Losing even my distributor's commission money as they claim I can't get it here in South Africa and was more the $250.00 dollars when we first claim in S.A.

And now I'm about to lose even the faculty to buy because they ask me to listen to a training in the Training Center with we don't have access in this location. So no more Herbalife for me??? Or my family. It's incredible after almost 12 years of giving to a company. I was Get Team and this situation only discourages us to try building a business here as was no point. I have always defend Herbalife as I had so good time in Latino America but sad to see a lot of what is sale to promote business as wild wide opportunity is not true!!!

Original review: June 15, 2017

I bought some products online from Herbal Canada distributor and I didn't receive it for long period of time (24-48 hours base on the site). In the web, there isn't any option for contact (like fishing sites) except an email address never heard back. When I called main office in Montreal, they couldn't do anything and they confess they don't have any authority or power to do anything. I strongly recommend to prevent putting your time, money and mind on pressure for nothing.

Original review: June 4, 2017

Herbalife nutrition shake is good result for me & my father. I was 104 kg after 2 months, lost 14kg. My father use this shake for control blood sugar. Now his blood sugar is normal & stopped insulin intake. Me & my father use same shake mix in same periods. His body weight is idle, only controls blood sugar. My result is reduced weight & (idle) normal blood sugar level when I start Herbalife nutrition shake. It means there is no side effect in this product. If it have any side effect my blood sugar goes very low & my father's weight also very low. Herbalife products are very good for my family.

Original review: June 4, 2017

Herbalife has decent shakes and their teas are good, but the group of people in this business are immature and uneducated! They are selfish and it is all about making money for themselves and not to actually help people with their health issues.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I've been doing Herbalife for only a week now and it's amazing how much energy I have. I NEVER exercise but since I've been doing the shakes twice a day and the tea, which I think helps the most, I've been running about three miles a day and hiking in the mornings. I don't have a scale so I'm not sure if I've lost any weight but I do know that I feel really good and confident and my skin hasn't been breaking out as much (I have really bad acne). Also, it all tastes delicious!

Resolution response: June 3, 2017

Update on my review concerning the Herbalife supplements. After a visit to my primary care doctor, I learned that some of the supplements I was using were interacting with the prescription drugs I was taking. While I still am not convinced my friends are actually going to make any money in this business, the supplements are actually good. A lesson here: if you are on any prescription medications, be sure and tell your doctor about any herbal supplements you are taking. Some supplements can cause bad interactions with certain drugs.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I have been using Herbalife products on and off for a few years. I initially started using the products to help support friends/family members in their endeavors in Herbalife's business model. But, I watched my friends and family members go broke while the "big guys" in this company made money hand over fist! Since starting these products, my energy and mood greatly diminished. At first, I didn't link this to Herbalife. But, before starting Herbalife, I ate sensibly, took a few Ayurvedic herbal tinctures, and exercised vigorously 4-5 times a week. My hair was thick and lustrous, and I felt the best I have felt in my life! After about a year or so on the products, however, I noticed my energy levels were declining, my hair was falling out, and I started having problems with my digestion again.

Upon further review of the ingredients in these products, I saw they had a lot of artificial ingredients in them. I have spent a fortune on these products, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to throw them away and go back to my simple lifestyle; eating a healthy, well-balanced diet, along with vigorous exercise, and meditation practices. Sadly, I feel as though I have lost a lot of ground (not to mention money). It will take a lot of time to get my hair back in shape, and my fitness level back to where it used to be. Herbalife's customer service is extremely lacking, too. They would take forever to deliver my products and didn't even send me an email letting me know they had been shipped. I am so sad and disappointed with this whole experience.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I joined Herbalife in January this year, got on trial package on 10th. I lost inches, I felt amazing, they were very positive. I didn't lost anything but water weight, which happened because I started eating right. Everything was great, I became a member in March, or end of February, I'm not sure. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it as a business or just stay a VIP client, my mentor, as they call themselves, tricked me into getting into business. I most definitely spend 500 dollars, more or less, in 4 months. I did see progress, but that was because of healthier diet, not the shake. I started getting hungry, they told me to get proteins to add to the shake, so I did. It tasted sweet, now it started tasting like it got bad. Then they told me to get aloe, I did and added it to my tea, I couldn't drink tea without aloe anymore. I doubt it's a healthy product, and I tell you this as a distributor, as it contains artificial sugars which have a bad impact of your brain from what I know.

But all that aside, the club and the team... It was great at first, but I decided to also find tips and workouts online since we only had boot camp twice a week and no one there knew anything about right dieting, so I looked at websites of certified dietitians and nutritionists, and found other kinds of workouts, which makes me think my mentor didn't greet with enthusiasm, her ego is prevailing. I didn't ask her to help me with anything too much, I knew what I was doing and if something wasn't clear I asked, and I didn't go to the STS because I was sick, after which I felt she is keeping me there for volumes.

I started distancing myself from them. My boyfriend visited and we went to see them, all they asked him about was Herbalife. And all their stories come down to or are about Herbalife. I am all for loving something and enjoying it, but it's consuming people, my sister-in-law is celebrating my niece's birthday a week early so she can attend the STS this month. And the products are making me sick now, I switched to regular food and eating frequently, doing everything I did except not using Herbalife anymore and I feel great. All they wanted from me were volumes and money, I got nothing from them. I also "won" a spa day which I still didn't get and I won a t-shirt which I didn't get.

I am attending my last event on Sunday and only because I won the pizza party which is occurring after the event, so pizza is the only reason haha. After that, I'm done with them, done with Herbalife. It's a waste of money. There are so many fit and healthy people out there who are using real, clean food. If they can do it, I can do it. All these promises of trips and obsessing over things they "won" makes me sick. Also, trips they win, they paid for in a way because they have to buy products to collect volumes to qualify. So I don't understand how someone can be so brainwashed.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I have had a good experience with using the Herbalife products but I do not do the business. At first I didn't know if I could give up solid food at breakfast, and I don't always give it up, but I surely do enjoy my routine of having a cup of coffee in the morning and then a nice shake to start the day. I have to admit, I add things to the shake like peanut butter, a banana, or a squirt of flavoring that you use in water bottles to mix it up every now and then.

I am 55 and truly feel like my body responds very well to the Formula One Shakes products. My skin is very healthy, my weight is staying balanced, I have minimal menopause issues, and regarding my hair, I feel like it is thicker than it's ever been. I see that's peculiar because I've read some reviews where people's hair was actually falling out following using the products. I do not like the tea and don't even like the aloe so I pretty much stick with my shakes and the multivitamin. It's a simple plan but it works for me.

Original review: April 17, 2017

When I started on the Herbalife products. The first thing I noticed was headaches and itching. I was breaking out in hives so bad I couldn't sleep at night. Then my hair started to fall out. I call my coach. She told me that it's nothing she can do about it. Then the phone call ended from her, but when I was spending money with her she call me twice a week. I had to end up getting my hair cut like a boy. And that is depressing. I'm not use of short hair like this.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Very unhealthy and expensive. My husband, daughter, and I all was using Herbalife. It was ok for the first 2 weeks. Then I started having stomach pains. I let my coach know, which in return she said to take something else that was Herbalife. My Hair started falling out and I let my doctor know. I was told to stop using Herbalife, since then I am not have the stomach pains and my hair is starting to fall out less. Avoid at all cost!

Original review: April 1, 2017

I tried the product for 3 weeks. I did lose 12 pounds. Very very happy however I noticed I felt more tired and I was starting to hold in water. I started to turn a little bit yellow, my hair was falling out, my fingertips wrinkly and I started to feel nauseous. Never once did I think it could be the milkshake from Herbalife product one because it's a milkshake right. At first I was taking the whole starter kit pack but after a while it was just the milkshake. I stopped the milkshake for a month. I felt more energy, no wrinkled fingertips, my hair was starting to grow back.

I bought it again. This time after one week the same thing started to happen again. I had a liver function test. My LT was over a hundred and my AST was over 40. Pretty high for being above the normal range. This is the only thing I was drinking I have no medical conditions. I stopped and retested blood work after 2 months. Everything went back down to normal again. I do not think this product is safe. Not sure what it is but it did elevate my liver enzymes.

Original review: March 21, 2017

When I first started Herbalife I felt great for the first month. Then the following month, my health started to deteriorate. My liver was inflamed and I started to lose an exceptional amount of hair. Although I lost 4 pounds in the first week, which was great, I do not suggest taking these supplements and shakes. Unless you're up for the challenge.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I have been on Herbalife for about a month. I feel great, I had my thyroid removed a couple years back and haven't am had any energy at all and always in a bad but since I started Herbalife I have so much energy and I'm losing weight healthy and have so much energy and I am no longer moody. In my opinion the individuals who are having issues I would contact your coach so they can go over it different meal plans and help you. If they are not available you can contact me ** and I can try and help you!! I love Herbalife.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I have been on the product for 4 days now. To be honest I feel like crap. I feel more tired. I don't feel energized. I just don't see any changes. I been doing my best to follow the instructions to the T and I don't know I'm not seeing any changes. But I will be back end of this month and follow and let you guys know how it's going so far for me. Before Herbalife I was working out and didn't lose a pound at all. Lol. So I paid a lot of money for this and it doesn't fill me up but I guess it's a matter of getting use to it. See you guys in the end of February.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I did a 3 day trial and loved it enough to take the plunge. I've been doing the plan for 5 days now and have already seen results. My energy level has greatly improved and I feel great! I think two of the tricks to this is to drink LOTS of water and eat snacks and the one main meal that is high in protein. By doing this, I realized that the way I was eating before was not a lot of food, but were things that were high in fat, sugar, and calories. Now, I feel like I eat a lot of food even though it is high protein and fiber. I don't see how anyone is going hungry doing this plan. The shakes taste awesome also!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

Ok so I started Herbalife around 6 months ago last year like on june 2016 and well I weighed back then 159 lbs total. I took the 2 shakes daily, the 2 snacks and the one meal. It was hard at the beginning but right now I'M used to them. I love it. I do. I'M not gonna lie because I have never felt better physically but, I also noticed that ever since I started herbalife like 1 month passed and I started to lose a lot of hair. I'M a women so obviously this was devastating to me because right now I feel very happy with my body but I'M sad because I have very little hair and so I decided to take 1 shake daily just to maintain my weight. It's been a month and I see tiny little hairs growing so I'LL keep you guys updated to how it goes. I've heard people that their hair has been falling off with herbalife so I'LL see if my hair grows back then mostly likely that was the issue.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

I been using Herbalife meal replacements 4 months now and diet and exercise. What I can say is I haven't gained weight but definitely haven't lost any. I've wasted so much money looking for a plan to help me but I will say that I tried the tea and couldn't tolerate it and got a full refund.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

I bought the product as an obligation to a friend, only to realize that they do not care so much about your friendship. I informed them that I was hypothyroid and they promised that it would not affect my condition. After consuming the product, my thyroid levels rocketed from 2.1 to 5.7!!! My fasting blood sugar has gone up and it has not come back to normal even after a year!!! DO NOT CONSUME HERBALIFE PRODUCTS!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

I have been on Herbalife for 2 months. I wanted to see how I felt on the products and off the product. I work nights and I need to stay up and I am a mother of four. Since I have ever been on Herbalife I love the products and I love the shakes the tablets and the skin care line. I did join to get a savings and it's worth it. I haven't been able to work out like I want but changing my eating habits and having 2 shakes a day I have lost 4 pounds in a month. If you want to lose weight in a healthy manner then do the program. Some people try the product and think that in 30 days a big magic trick is going to take place. I NEVER endorse a product but this time I am. Because I can only tell you how I feel and I feel wonderful. I love the NRG tablets that gives me energy and I don't feel sluggish at all. I don't depend on coffee as a pick me anymore.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I started my Herbalife journey on Monday, October 24th, 2016. I knew I had to do something because I was not happy with my weight. I am only 5'2 and weighing 210, I was cranky all the time, nothing fits, and let's not even talk about the food I was eating. I decided to do Herbalife because my friend had great results, so I told myself, let me just buy it. I was only able to buy the shakes, due to financial reasons, but I figured something is better than nothing.

Day 1- the first time I tried it, I didn't know how much water to put or how much ice, so it was a little watery for my taste, but still better than other shakes I have tried. I had a piece of cheese for snack, an Atkins frozen food for lunch, some almonds for snack and another shake for dinner. I felt bloated, and even had to use the restroom a few times that night. Please keep in mind, that I am not regular. I would just go every 3 to 4 days. Day 2- tried the shakes with less water, but still too watery. Had the same foods as Monday, and lots of water. For some reason on Day 2 I was really thirsty. Day 3- Finally got the shake to look more like a smoothie, had the same foods as above. This time I feel like I've lost a few pounds, but I haven't weighed my since. I want to try to wait until it's been a week officially.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

I recently got the three day trial from Herbalife. The shakes tasted really good, but at the end of the three days, it caused a lot of health problems for me. My stomach is very upset, I GAINED weight, have no energy and have been in a horrible mood for several days following the trial. Very disappointed and will be seeking a refund.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

I've been using Herbalife products for four years now. I've also tried a large number of other diet plans and diet products. I found the ones that were cheaper, were horrible to take. Plans, similar to Nutrisystem worked but once you were off their overpriced food, you gained even more weight back. I'm not a distributor but I did sign on to get the product cheaper. I find, if made correctly, it's delicious and a great meal replacement! The supplements have gone a long way with helping me gain more energy so that I could move my lazy butt and get out and do some walking, riding and swimming!

I've learned portion control and even checked with my "professional nutritionist" who, by the way isn't with Herbalife, and she helped me pick the right supplements and made sure I was getting what I need. My coach, I think, has learned as much from me as she from me! Does it work? OMG, yes...down 60 lbs and it's staying away! Why? It has to be a lifestyle change and NOT a diet! Once you reach your goal weight, you simply go on maintenance and eat regular food with portion control!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I was recommended to take Herbalife from a personal trainer and have been using the product on and off. Now with many weight loss programs you have to workout and eat right. Been reading the reviews and from what I read they are not using the product right. I recommended that people research before they use any product. Now for me I do the meal replacement and the cellulose and multivitamins and the skin product. I am losing 2 to 1lb a week. I workout 3 times a week and watch how much I eat and plenty of water. Plenty of water is the key with any diet program.

Herbalife expert review by JJ Virgin

Herbalife was founded in 1980 as a weight-management program and multi-level marketing (MLM) company. Herbalife specializes in meal-replacement shakes and bars, as well as dietary supplements, beverage mixes and skin and hair care products.

• How can you buy Herbalife products?: To purchase Herbalife products, customers must contact an independent sales representative, called a distributor; you can find a distributor near you through the Herbalife website. Some Herbalife distributors may not be fully knowledgeable about the products they are selling or the best process for your optimal weight loss. If you need more personalized feedback, you can use their website to send a question or concern and receive personalized feedback.

• Choices: A choice of 3 programs allows the customer to decide what level (and price point) they want to pursue fat loss. The Ultimate program “contains the entire collection of Advance program products, plus added enhancers to help boost metabolism, rev up your energy and fight hunger.” If you’re simply looking for a meal-replacement powder or fat-burning enhancer, Herbalife has a selection of products to meet your needs.

• Nutrients: Herbalife acknowledges that nutrients play a key role in fat loss. Their Weight Management Enhancers include Formula 2 Multivitamin Complex and, for blood sugar support, Snack Defense®.

• Protein: The program emphasizes optimal protein and keeping blood sugar in check with their bars and shakes. Protein curbs hunger and helps balance blood sugar levels, reducing cravings.

• Soy protein: Soy is the main protein source for their shakes, bars, and other snacks. This can be great for some customers, such as those who have dairy or nut allergies. Other customers may not tolerate soy as well.

• Nutrition clubs: As Herbalife has grown, they have implemented Nutrition Clubs in select communities to help encourage customers to meet their dietary and fitness goals. These clubs are social gatherings designed to support customers and distributors.

• Best for: new moms, former athletes, busy adults and college students.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
    JJ Virgin

Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Herbalife Company Information