Shop on Amazon
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.59/5

Herbalife is a multilevel marketing corporation that supplies dietary supplements to independent distributors. It sells protein shakes, snack bars and teas. For more information, see our picks for the best meal replacement shakes for weight loss.

BOTTOM LINE

Herbalife offers meal replacement shakes, weight loss programs and skincare products for dieters to manage their weight, care for their health and jumpstart a healthy lifestyle.

PROS

• Easy for on-the-go lifestyles
  • Vegetarian options
  • 3-day trial sample packs

CONS

• Available through independent dealers
  • Expensive

Top Herbalife Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Herbalife?

I used to have back pain for months and I tried Xtra-calcium or joint support and this made my back feel better and made me more active.

I had lost 40lbs. with Herbalife products with no side effects. As with any diet or lifestyle change, you have to follow through to get results! … The distributors can be a little pushy, but my distributors were a great support system and wonderful cheerleaders...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Herbalife?

Herbalife offers weight-loss and health management products. Herbalife products are sold exclusively through independent distributors, often customers themselves, who have been trained and educated on the Herbalife system. Through the program, Herbalife also allows loyal dieters an opportunity to earn and work part-time or full-time from home.

With on-the-go drink mix packets, vegetarian shake mixes and high-protein snacks, Herbalife makes it reasonably easy for most people to follow the program. Herbalife consists of three core products — the Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix, Formula 2 Multivitamin Complex and Cell Activator. Their Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix comes in 10+ flavors and provides a balanced meal with 9 grams of fat and fiber for weight management. The Formula 2 Multivitamin Complex is a daily vitamin used to maintain essential micronutrients throughout the program. Finally, Cell Activator is an alpha-lipoic acid supplement, which can aid in the body’s processing of carbs and energy production.

How does Herbalife work?

The Herbalife program works by helping dieters limit their calorie intake while boosting their metabolism through supplements. The global nutrition company uses Herbalife Nutrition Distributors to sell their products, and you can buy Herbalife products online. Herbalife offers a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee and can return products within 30 days for a full refund or exchange.

Herbalife products

Herbalife offers meal replacement shakes, dietary supplements and other health products for dieters through the Core, Healthy Weight, Specialized Nutrition, Energy and Fitness product lines.

• Core Products: Herbalife’s flagship line includes the Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix, Formula 2 Multivitamin Complex and Cell Activator. Shake mixes come in many different flavors, and protein drink mixes are available in pea, quinoa, and rice protein for vegetarians. Suggested retail price for Core Products ranges from $25 to $42, with their Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix at the top of their price point.
  • Healthy Weight: Herbalife’s Healthy Weight line offers products like the Formula 1 Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake, Total Control tea and caffeine metabolism enhancers. Herbalife also offers a three-day trial pack with six packets of Formula 1 Cookies ’n Cream nutritional shake and vanilla on-the-go protein drink mix packets, as well as two sample packets of Total Control tea and caffeine metabolism enhancers.
  • Specialized Nutrition: Products in the Specialized Nutrition line include Joint Support Advanced, Herbal Aloe Concentrate and a women’s daily booster designed for new moms. Aside from the Digestive Health and 21-Day Herbal Balancing programs, most products in the Specialized Nutrition category can be purchased individually, starting around $13.
  • Energy and Fitness: All of the products in the Energy and Fitness line are designed to help athletes recover faster and endure longer. Protein powders, fitness drinks and green tea supplements start at $37.35.
  • Skin and Hair Care: This line was created to combat dry skin, wrinkles and acne blemishes. Full Herbalife SKIN programs for normal, dry or oily skin start around $100.

Herbalife FAQ

Is Herbalife FDA approved?
No, the FDA can’t approve Herbalife products since the FDA doesn’t approve dietary supplements or cosmetic items. However, Herbalife follows FDA regulations and standards in manufacturing its products and is subject to FDA investigations.
Is Herbalife gluten-free?
Some Herbalife products are gluten-free and recognized by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO). These include Herbalife’s Formula 1 Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake Mix, Protein Drink Mix Select and Herbal Tea Concentrate.
Are Herbalife shakes healthy?
Yes, Herbalife shakes are healthy in moderation. Herbalife’s shakes are designed to replace one meal per day, or as a snack as supplemental nutrition to a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
Is Herbalife good for diabetes?
Each diabetic case is different, so Herbalife suggests anyone with diabetes consult a medical professional before using their products.
Are Herbalife shakes vegan?
No, Herbalife currently doesn’t offer any vegan shakes.
How much does Herbalife cost?
Herbalife offers a variety of products and programs that start around $40 when purchased individually. For more specific price points, contact an Independent Nutrition Distributor.
Can you drink Herbalife while breastfeeding?
If you’re breastfeeding, Herbalife advises you consult a healthcare provider or medical professional before drinking or taking any Herbalife products.
Where can I buy Herbalife?
Herbalife is available through Independent Nutrition Distributors nationwide. To find a Herbalife distributor near you, head to the Herbalife website where you can buy products from one of Herbalife’s distributors online.
Can you drink coffee while on Herbalife?
Yes, however, Herbalife dieters should limit their caffeine intake based on their tolerance. Herbalife does offer a high-protein iced coffee for individuals looking to make caffeine a regular part of their weight management.
Is Herbalife a scam?
Many have labeled Herbalife as a scam because of the negative association attached to multi-level marketing (MLM) companies. MLM companies, also known as network marketing or referral marketing, use brand ambassadors to sell and distribute their products.
Is Herbalife dangerous?
Herbalife products don’t include dangerous ingredients; however, some dieters have reported unhealthy reactions that they attribute to the program. Experts in nutrition, science, and health who ensure all products comply with government laws comprise The Herbalife Nutrition Advisory Board. As part of their program, Herbalife trains their Independent Distributors and sales employees.

Is Herbalife worth it?

As supplemental nutrition, Herbalife products are suitable for some individuals who already have an active lifestyle. Herbalife products can only be purchased through Independent Nutrition Distributors, making it a less viable option for individuals looking for a quick and easy solution.

Herbalife Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Herbalife?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

First thing to healthy lifestyle definitely eat correct nutrition to your body and exercise. Knowledge is important. No matter whether what product that you are consuming, ensure you know what you are taking. Believe your body reaction and feeling. Your body is your own responsibility. For me, taking this product helped me. I have tried many many type of dieting, yet this is the best solution. So if this doesn't suit you, then just ensure you go find your best solution suits your body. This is because it is not what you can eat, it is what you can absorb. To me, those product doesn't work for me, I just say that my body can't absorb. And I only believe by research and try it by following the correct step. I heard a lot of reviews that I am sure that outside have a lot of irresponsible distributor. Sometime it is not the company problem, is the distributor. Like how I used to be cheated by another company, but it was not because the product issue, is the distributor. So trust yourself and trust your body. It doesn't lie to you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Here’s the thing, I have Crohn's, my constipation is absolutely ridiculous. I can’t eat a lot of foods either, ( I have an ulcer). I started using Herballife about 3 years ago, on and off during my flare-ups. It helped me a lot, I honestly would not use it to lose weight, but the shakes help with my constipation, and they help me get something substantial in my body. I use a lot of the “extras” to add to my shake. I also have a family friend who sales me the products at 50% off, so it’s not killing my wallet. If that wasn’t an option I’m honestly not sure if I’d use them as much as I do, mostly because of their priciness.

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Hi Everyone. Hello to all my Friends. My name is Rakesh ** and I remember my very first day when I saw one of my friend result and when he shared it's with the help of Herbalife. I did a lot of Googling and that time also came to this website and got confused rather to start my journey with Herbalife Nutrition or not. But today it has more than four years I am using this nutrition Products and feel Extremely Energetic. Let me clear few things guys which you all might confused when you go through reviews. 1. Herbalife is not a weight loss company. It's nutrition company which help you provide the meal replacement which fulfill all your nutrition needs. It's low in calories & high in Nutrition. 2. If you think this product will help you to lose weight you are totally wrong because Herbalife Distributors give the same nutrition for Weight Loss & Weight Gain so what is the difference.

The Difference is Calories Management. If you consume the shake and make deficit in your calories, follow healthy active lifestyle, you gonna lose the weight but at the same time if you consume the shake and at the same time you take your meal there will be no Result. Maybe you gonna gain some Weight. So what is the conclusion Guys. The Conclusion is if you want to drop body fat remember this nutrition just support you to complete your body nutrition needs. So if you follow healthy active Lifestyle, cut down off your extra calories, follow your coach guidelines, you gonna lose body weight...

My experience with this nutrition is I am using this from last 5 years. With the help of good Nutrition Healthy ACTIVE LIFESTYLE and right support my coach I lost 14 kg of body weight. Now I know exactly how many calories I have to consume throughout the day and I do follow it. Result my Weight is Maintain. So stop being misguided Guys. Just check does your coach have enough consumers and what does he promote? Only herbalife or Herbalife with Coach Education and overall Lifestyle Improvement all factors play important role for your body Transformation. Hope my review will help you to take a right decision. Thanks.

Original review: May 3, 2020

I am very skeptical of reviews that get either a one or a five because more than likely emotion is a trigger factor in such extreme cases. I noticed that many of the ones that were given had to do with some "negative" experience that really has nothing to do with the products themselves. If you do the research you will find several scientific peer reviewed articles about Herbalife products and its effect on health.

No causation study has shown anything inherently wrong with the current Herbalife products themselves as having a negative effect on human health. However, there have been studies that showed a correlation between liver toxicity and high doses of green tea extract, comfrey and even aloe in rare cases. Also, anything can be considered toxic without moderation or if a food supplement is heavily relied upon without a nutritionally balanced approach. That is what seems to be the case in all of the reviews on this topic concerning Herbalife Products that got bad reviews.

My own experience with this product has been a good one because I try to take a very nutritionally balanced approach when it comes to supplements. I am 53 years old and before I started taking these supplements I weighed 197 and had low energy issues. After 3 months of a good balanced diet and Herbalife supplements, I have decreased my weight by 7 pounds and can run a mile under 7 minutes. Before taking these supplements I ran close to an 8 minute mile. My 43 year old fiance, who has been taking these supplements for 14 years, has never been sick enough to go to a clinic for any reason during that time.

So, what does the research say about products like Herbalife and their effect on human health. One peer reviewed scientific study: "A critical analysis of the hepatotoxicity cases described in the literature related to Herbalife® products" - Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences concluded that, "The correct and rational use of the supplements and dietetic formulations can contribute to promoting health and could yield benefits for users."

Why do I give this topic a 4 instead of a 5? Well, that has more to do with the cost and the fact that you may end up with a bad distributor than anything else. There is no correlation between these products and loss of hair, stress, back pain (which is ridiculous) or any other serious health issue. The fact that you have millions of satisfied long term users and relatively very few reported issues is probably due to other external or internal health issues that exist while taking this product. If you do not believe me then do the research (and secondary non-peer reviewed studies is not good research - also called science tabloid literature).

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

It's a very nice experience with this product. I can describe exactly the sensation that I think about it... It's is a food, snack, candy, drink or whatever you want but the best. It's good and healthy for our body..out and into.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Hello, I tried this product once and nothing happened. It was the 3 day strict diet one. Then I decided to give it another shot and tried the shake. I literally gained weight and it was scary how quickly I did. I was using it for a month. I think my hormones may have been messed up due to this product.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I ordered from Herbalife about 2 months ago and paid for a 2-7 business day shipping. I gave it a month before calling them. They had yet to even ship my order out, so it wasn't like it got lost in the mail or anything. I reached out to the distributor I made the purchase from initially and she wasn't helpful at all. She seemed more interested in selling me more products than anything. She said that she would take care of it but nothing happened so, I reached out to her again a week later, but she never responded. I called the company and they were somewhat helpful. They filed the complaint for me.

However, they said they would reach out to the distributor themselves and if they couldn't get a hold of her within 3 days they would reach back out to me and move forward with the process but they never did. I called them back over a week later curious what was going on with my refund. All they said was it was going to be another month. This order was less than $50 including the shipping, plus they already have all my information to give the refund. I have never received such poor customer service from a company before.

Original review: May 3, 2020

I Used their shakes for weight loss and it's a total loss. I bought this product as I have been told by an associate that it's very good for weight loss and that he himself used it for weight management. I followed each and every step what he told me but there was no result. I was not able to lose even 1 kilo of weight. Then he again said that you will have to continue with the supplement to see results. I again trusted him and I am very sorry to say that this was a very bad experience. They lie, cheat you and take your hard earned money... 1 word cheaters, liars...

Original review: March 18, 2020

I thought I’d try the protein coffee to keep me from getting hungry through the morning. It seemed harmless and did work to curb my appetite. I’m seeing lots of people who have lost weight on these products according to their reviews! Good for you but you must know that there are lots of products that help you lose weight. You can even lose it the old fashioned way with traditional diet and exercise which is probably the healthiest way.

After reading a large number of reviews I have come to this conclusion, I’m not taking the chance with this stuff! I too experienced the heart palpitations & seemed to have a case of pancreatitis! My liver didn’t like this product! This had nothing to do with the shop who sold it or bad communication with the seller. YOU CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF IF YOU MUST & if you have problems then write a review based on your experience. I’m not saying you will experience the same things I did but is it worth it to find out? Also check out the research on this product!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Full cheat. They make me member with promise to guide and help in work. But after investment they cheat. The person get all product back. But not pay me yet. It's almost 9 month passed. I didn't get my money back. Nobody looks in matter. Even I don't know where I complaint about it.

Herbalife Company Information