Find a Weight Loss Programs partner

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Nutrisystem

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Pros

• Meals shipped to your door
  • Vegetarian and diabetic options
  • Affordable

Cons

• No in-person support

Bottom Line

Nutrisystem delivers healthy meals with a detailed guide and diet plan to your door. Monthly plans don’t offer in-person support, but they do help dieters learn about balanced, portion-controlled eating habits.

Top Nutrisystem Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been using Nutrisystem for almost a year and I am very pleased with the food and the results. My food always arrives fast and tastes amazing… Nutrisystem is flexible and of...

Verified

Just want to say thanks. I've sent several emails to counseling support in the few days that I've been on the plan and they are so helpful and encouraging... I like the emails as ...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Nutrisystem?

Nutrisystem is a weight loss and nutrition company for people who want to manage their weight, eat healthily and create new diet habits. Nutrisystem offers monthly meal plans and à la carte items, and it sells products on the company's website and through authorized retailers and distributors.

Nutrisystem offers four primary plans — Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus — and has vegetarian and diabetic options available. Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans include unlimited frozen meals and snacks, and flex meals allow customers the opportunity to cook balanced meals at home or eat at restaurants. Customers have the option of getting handpicked meals with the Chef’s Choice menu or individually picking their meals at sign-up. Nutrisystem sells plans directly on its website.

How does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem dieters eat every two to three hours, up to six times per day. A printed meal plan is included in the first shipment to make it easy for dieters to follow their Nutrisystem plan from the start. Depending on the plan, meal and snack items include options such as buttermilk waffles, mac and cheese, grilled chicken sandwiches and chocolate-covered pretzels.

Meal deliveries are made every four to 10 days. Frozen meals are shipped in frozen storage trucks and packed in dry ice that keeps them frozen for up to eight hours after delivery. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is free order tracking, which makes it easy to manage and adjust your meals.

Nutrisystem plans

Nutrisystem Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours, Uniquely Yours Plus and Vegetarian plans can be customized for male or female dieters, and the company has diabetic options. Nutrisystem’s website lists a comprehensive nutritional breakdown of all menu items on each plan.

Nutrisystem Basic
Choose your meals or go with the Chef’s Choice, a preset menu of popular foods. A typical eating schedule on Nutrisystem includes three meals and three snacks per day and includes menu items like three-cheese chicken with steamed broccoli, apple cinnamon oatmeal and white cheddar popcorn. A four-week Basic plan with auto-delivery costs $294.99. Customers can add shakes for an additional $79.98.
  • Basic Diabetes: Nutrisystem created its Basic Diabetes plan to help customers manage their glucose levels while losing weight. The Basic Diabetes plan includes menu items such as blueberry muffins, chicken noodle soup and white chocolate chunk cookies.
Nutrisystem Core
Nutrisystem Core comes with more variety and food options than the Basic plan. The first week comes with specially selected meals to jump-start weight loss and ease dieters into the plan. The Core plan also includes unlimited online support from counselors and dietitians. A four-week Core plan with auto-delivery costs $319.99, and probiotic shakes can be added for an additional fee.
  • Core Diabetes: The Core Diabetes plan offers Chef’s Choice Pack and unlimited customer support. With portion control, customers can enjoy whole-grain crackers and cheese, cheese tortellini and Santa Fe-style chicken on Nutrisystem’s Core Diabetes plan.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours
Uniquely Yours is similar to the Core and Basic plans but comes with even more menu options. A typical Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours day might include a cranberry orange muffin, mixed nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, a hamburger and side salad for lunch, roasted turkey and green beans for dinner and snacks throughout the day. Not including shakes, four weeks of auto-delivery costs $359.99.
  • Uniquely Yours Diabetes: With even more menu options created for those with Type 2 diabetes, dieters can manage their blood glucose levels and eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks. On the Uniquely Yours Diabetes, customers have the bonus of receiving unlimited frozen meals and snacks. Favorite menu items include apple slices dipped in peanut butter, ice cream sandwiches and broccoli and cheese melt with sliced vegetables.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours Plus
The Uniquely Yours Plus plan includes everything in the three previous plans and adds even more variety and high-protein shakes. On a typical day, you might have waffles and scrambled eggs with coffee for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a salad for lunch and a pizza with salad for dinner. Probiotic shakes, cheese puffs, popcorn and mixed nuts make for great snacks throughout the day, and you can even have a chocolate brownie sundae for an evening snack. At $399.99 per month with auto-delivery, it’s one of Nutrisystems best plans for those who crave variety.
Nutrisystem Vegetarian
Nutrisystem's vegetarian plan makes it easy for customers on plant-based diets to enjoy balanced and nutritional meals. Menu items include home-style pancakes and stuffed shells with sautéed spinach plus a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Four-week vegetarian plans with auto-delivery start at $359.99.

Compare Nutrisystem cost

Core$11.43
Uniquely Yours$12.86
Uniquely Yours Plus$14.29

Nutrisystem FAQ

How much weight can I lose on Nutrisystem?
Nutrisystem results vary, but you can lose up to 13 to 15 pounds in the first month and one to two pounds per week after.
Can you drink alcohol on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem dieters can enjoy alcohol in moderation — stick to drier wines and light beer. Customers should avoid mixed cocktails and alcoholic beverages high in sugar or fat.
Do you have to exercise on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem is designed to help dieters create healthy lifestyle habits and encourages 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week. Nutrisystem offers the My Daily 3 plan as part of the company’s eating schedule to help customers get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Are Nutrisystem meals frozen?
Sometimes. Nutrisystem uses a soft canning process to keep meals fresh and ready to eat without freezing. Only Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans have frozen menu items.
Does Nutrisystem food have preservatives?
Most Nutrisystem meals don’t have preservatives, though some include BHT, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate and sodium benzoate. More than 120 Nutrisystem foods don’t contain preservatives.
Can Nutrisystem plans be gluten-free?
No, Nutrisystem does not currently offer a gluten-free plan.
Does Nutrisystem have a vegetarian plan?
Yes, Nutrisystem has a vegetarian plan.
Does Nutrisystem offer diabetic options?
Yes, Nutrisystem offers diabetic options.
Does Nutrisystem use artificial sweeteners?
Yes, some Nutrisystem foods contain artificial sweeteners, most commonly sucralose. Some offered meals also include sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.
Does Nutrisystem food have a lot of sodium?
Not a lot. Most Nutrisystem plans are below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommended daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
What is the cost of Nutrisystem for one month?
The cost of Nutrisystem for one month ranges from $294.99 to $399.99 with auto-delivery.
What is Nutrisystem’s return policy?
Regular subscribers can request a return or refund within 30 days of their delivery. After 30 days, Nutrisystem provides a refund for unopened, non-frozen Nutrisystem foods. Customers can also request a full refund within 14 days of their first order, not including à la carte and weekly orders.

Does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem’s plans work for dieters who want to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise. You can choose from multiple plan options — Core and Basic plans are good for starting out, while the Uniquely Yours plans give dieters more variety and flexibility. All Nutrisystem plans deliver ready-to-go meals straight to your door to help manage short-term and long-term weight loss.

Nutrisystem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Is very excellent. I Think is time to be careful for our body because we have to Love. Make exercise is good for us. Keep cálm and enjoy your live because is very pretty. If you Love your life please do exercise.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Rolando! Thank you for your review. This is so true especially these days. We hope that your plan is going well. Please do let us know if there is anything we can ever help you with. Please feel free to email us any time at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. Please include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue or concern. We look forward to hearing from you. ~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Well by following the program made up for that person they can learn how to eat, what to eat, and how much... see we can eat any food we want, as long as you do the necessary work to counteract that food. Like ice cream, pizza etc, if these foods weigh down on your thighs, then do some squats, to counteract what that food will do so it won't show and you won't have to care.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Courtney! Thank you for your review. We want to help you succeed with our weight loss plan. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you. ~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Lost ten pounds the first week, 10 pounds over the next 3 weeks and then got stuck halfway to my goal weight. Once I figured out which food I liked, I was able to eat more of what I liked the second month. It's super convenient to have all the meals ready to heat up and eat, the orders were very close to being right every time. I almost didn't my frozen order in time the second month. The system of tracking food and activity is well laid out and easy to understand, as was the whole program. I had a hard time eating all the extra PFs, SCs and Veggies and contacted a counselor. =-( All she said was to cut a morning protein shake in half, it was too many calories, and eat the smaller portions of SCs and PFs... I already couldn't fit all the food in my day and she told me to space out my meals. Mixed feelings about the program. I'd say it's worth a try.

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your review. If you still need help with your meal plan and progress on the plan, please email us at counselingsupport@nutrisystem.com or you can reach a Weight Loss Counselor at 1-800-585-5483, option 2, or through our Live Chat service at www.nutrisystem.com. We are here for you! Have a great day and thanks for choosing Nutrisystem!

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

This is the second time you guys have offered an item as a Numi Reward, that is out of stock. But when I email the staff, they are polite and so willing to accommodate the issue. They are great! But why are there so many items on low inventory? No ice cream sandwich for months, not stuffed chicken breasts. It has been very frustrating.

Hello Linda,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your review. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We are so sorry to hear that some of your favorite entrees are currently low inventory. We are working as diligently as possible to restock our inventory. If you have further questions, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. We appreciate your feedback, Linda.

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I had used Nutrisystem about 20 years ago with great success so thought I'd try it again. As before, I am highly pleased with the program and recommend it for weight loss. My loss has been slow but study but I feel that is the safe way and I love 98% of the meals I choose for myself. I will continue to use this system until I reach my goal of a 40 lbs weight loss. I am reading so many complaints about the service but I have never had a problem. My food comes frozen solid and on time and when I call Customer Service, I have never had a problem getting satisfactory answers to my questions. The food is very tasty and healthy!

Hello Linda,

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your positive view and and we're happy to hear that you enjoy our program. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding your meal plan, please feel free to email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. We look forward to helping you!

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: July 30, 2021

I am trying to choke down their “pancakes” as I speak! There are several of these types of items that I cannot fathom the company even thinking of putting out. But they do! Somethings simply lend themselves to freezing more than other foods. In my first shipment there were times when I thought Not bad but they were few and far between. Needless to say there was no second shipment.

Hello SK,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear about your experience. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

~ The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: July 30, 2021

Their terms say they will provide a money back guarantee. Half of my order (the non-frozen stuff) arrived. Some of the order was wrong. I was not thrilled with the food - some was in squeeze pouches, others were dehydrated in paper cups. Looked gross. The portions were small. I was told, "that's what a diet is." I explained that a diet is eating healthy. I asked if I could cancel and get my money back. I had called to cancel within 2 days - the terms say I can get money back if I cancel within 10. I spoke with Mike, who told me that I would get a full refund if I return what I have left (I had tried one item). I returned it, but they refused to give me a refund. They claimed that I did not cancel within time. I provided proof that I had signed up two days before and proof of my cancellation, but they still refused to give back my money. Now I have no product and am out the money. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Hello Debra,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear about your experience. We will be happy to review your account. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

~ The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: July 20, 2021

I tried to order two months at the start because the ad said that if you order two months you save 50% for an average cost of $8.44 per day. Instead I was charged $469.96 for the first month and another $509.95 for the second month, or an average of $16.33 per day. When I called to dispute the charges their response was that I did not order two months. They also sent four cans of extra shakes that I never ordered. When I received no relief, they transferred me to returns and stated that if I returned the shakes they would credit me $40 per container, or $160.00. I returned the containers but never received the credit. I will never recommend Nutrisystem to anyone.

Hello William,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that did not receive the credit for the items that you returned. We would be happy to take a look at your account and see how we can assist you with this.

Please send us an email at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name and the phone number connected to your account?

We look forward to hearing from you and working with you to resolve this matter.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: June 28, 2021

First I didn't receive product until almost the end of their 14day guarantee, then when tried to cancel they were going to charge me 125.00 in cancelation fee saying past 14 day guarantee, then trying to dispute not being past 14 day guarantee they hung up on me and wouldn't take my call. I had to use another phone for them to talk with me. Finally got them to agree to refund my full cost, but told it takes 14 days. They gave me a date June 28th to get my refund. June 28th still no refund. They are fraudulently keeping my money, their products I received was returned June 8th. My whole experience with Nutrisystem has felt like a scam. I will never recommend Nutrisystem to anyone and deter anyone who asks me.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Randy. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that you had trouble with your return and refund. If you would like for us to look into this further, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. When sending us an email, please indicate in the subject line that it is a Consumer Affairs Review. We wish you the best of luck, Randy. –The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: June 27, 2021

I purchased the Nutrisystem box of breakfast lunch and dinner meals. All of them were non-refrigerated and non-freezer items. I was impressed with the amount of food that arrived and It was convenient that it was delivered to my door and that I did not have to food shop for a month. Although these were positives, the food was not good at all and upon giving it a try I ended up pushing back my second order because I still had so much of the first leftover because I did not eat it.

This came back and bite me in the butt as I tried to cancel after that month because I did not finish the month's worth of food due to the quality, I was Unable to and I was charged 125$ cancellation fee without even being explained that I would Be charged. I had To find out via my bank statement that I owed Them 125$ to cancel. The communication on the company‘s part was not good and neither was their food. I did not lose any weight using this program and Based on my experience I would not recommend this to anyone in the future.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Kayla. We are sorry if there was any confusion over our discontinuation policy. Customers who sign up for auto-delivery receive a discount off our one-time order price, so we ask that they take at least two orders. If a customer wants to cancel before receiving a second order, we do have a standard fee as outlined on our terms and conditions online. We apologize for any inconvenience, but if there is anything you would like us to investigate, please email consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com.

Nutrisystem Company Information