Call toll free
4.36/5
Based on 328 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Discover what America’s #1 Home Delivery Weight Loss Program can do for you—a happier, healthier you is just a call or click away.

Nutrisystem Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2996 Nutrisystem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

I spent most of my adult life around 125 pounds until 5 years ago when my thyroid stopped functioning normally. This led to a lot of weight gain very quickly. After 4 years of trying to lose the weight myself, I gave this program a try. I have now lost 50 pounds in 7 months. I would, and have recommended the program to others.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Some of the dinners don't taste very good, especially the supposedly Italian flavored ones. The Italian sauce is bland. I tried to not re-ordered the ones I didn't like for my 3rd shipment. The "baked" bars are not very good either. But I like the structure of the system--I don't have to use a lot of self-control.

Original review: June 16, 2018

When signing up for Nutrisystem I noted the 7 day turbo pack had a meal with mushrooms (I can't eat mushrooms) so I asked for a replacement meal for the one with mushrooms. The guy deleted the whole turbo pack, and added 21 addition meals to what I had already picked. I had no idea that they would not actually substitute just the one item. So when I got my order no turbo pack. I called and was told, "Too bad. We don't swap out items from turbo pack." So based on my order I was told to eat the following items for the first 7 days Breakfast- 3 Cinnamon buns, 1 apple strudel bar and one cinnamon bar for breakfast, for lunch - 3 double chocolate bars, 1 cheese tortellini, 3 red beans and rice, and for supper- 2 turkey and dressing, 2 rotini w/ meatball, 2 penne bolognese and 1 chili.

First, this list of meals does not come close to the meals listed on the turbo pack. So what their stupid adviser did to me was screw me. The idea of the turbo week is to lose weight fast. They would not even tell me the items in the turbo pack, I went to eBay and found a listing for the men's turbo pack to learn what was in the pack which was 1 item of specific foods for each meal for the first 7 days, plus the shakes, and turbo bars.

To advise me to eat the same items 2 and 3 times in the first week is really screwing me. And who the hell wants to eat Double chocolate bars for a lunch. I thought this was going to be an easy process, but now I really feel I got screwed and am thinking about sending this back and doing South Beach Diet, because of the advise I got from the employee of Nutrisystem. If I thought eating the same items for a week was smart, I could have done that on my own, so thanks for nothing.

Updated on 06/18/2018: This is my second complaint in 4 days. They keep telling me that someone from my team will call, but they are off until Wed. Really, I have to speak to a specific person to get an issue resolved. I hope that person never dies! Now the issue I have tried to resolve and finally gave up. The Turbo Phase of the diet is designed to cause a greater weight loss within the first week. It supposedly so important that you're suppose to receive a "Turbo" box of specific items within the first week. My problem was that I requested a substitute for one item, and the counselor took it upon himself instead to send 21 items matching what I had already ordered.

Apparently, they cannot just open the "turbo box" and switch one item out. In my case I had only ordered 8 items that were included in the turbo week. When I realized what had happened, I called and asked for a turbo box, I was even willing to pay extra for it. The counselor instead look at what had been ordered and then told me to eat some of the items 2-3 and 4 days in a row, because they apparently had the same calories as the items of the turbo box item, but really no one wants to eat the same thing that often. They would not even tell me what was included in the Turbo box and I was told I could not purchase it separately.

I wonder if I could not substitute one item, then why not send me a single item of everything in the Turbo box except the one Item I did not want. I mean really, so I end up with 13 items as duplicates because I didn't want one item. And I did not get to make this choice. Going back and forth over the phone and online wasting my time, because Nutrisystem people continue to say, "Just try to match the calories of each day using the non turbo items, by using the items you have."

This tells me the turbo phase of the program is a crock, why even have a turbo box if 80% of the items can be swapped out and you can receive the same result? I think what is really happening is that Nutrisystem is sending 21 different items, within the turbo box not because you lose weight faster in the beginning of the diet, but because these are items that most people will not order. (Consider I only ordered 8 of the 21 items), so Nutrisystem is pushing them off as some kind of accelerated diet phase.

Another problem they would not tell even tell me what was in the Turbo box until I asked over and over again. And finally why is it that you can buy a turbo box on eBay but Nutrisystem will not sell it separately. Also their need to do something about the web pages. It takes around 3-5 minute to load each page, and because of this you end up calling and on hold for 20-30 minutes at a time. Just to review one item and the contents of the item, it took well over 8 minutes for the 2 web pages to load. God forbid you have a problem online and call because while the people really act as if they are helping you with the problem they seem to make it worse. They need to take some of the advertising budget and upgrade their website.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for writing this review. We apologize for the negative experience you've had with your foods and the Turbo Takeoff contents. We will be taking a peek and reaching out soon.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have to say I was quite pleased when I lost 30 lbs. I never would have been able to do it on my own. I'm on disability, was unable to do much. I only got worse sitting around doing nothing. I saw a picture someone took of me, and I knew I had to do something.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Received a letter along with the order stating that my frozen foods would be shipped separately. Box delivered afternoon on 5/31/2018. Called 6/15/2018 at 9:59 AM. Person on phone said my order didn't contain frozen foods. Said my next order could be changed to include frozen food. Based on the quality of the instant soups, cheese puffs, popcorn snacks, instant oatmeal, the value isn't there. Asked to cancel, told a charge of $125 will be added to my card because I had selected auto ship? and I called 10 hours too late past the 14 days and to cancel for free. So they don't hold to a written letter saying my "frozen food will arrive separately" but insist on charging me $125 for cancelation for claiming I signed up for auto ship on the website.

Hello William,

We are so sorry about the miscommunication about the frozen foods that were not coming with your order. We will be assigning this to a member of the Consumer Experience team and they will be reaching out shortly.

-The Consumer Experience Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: June 15, 2018

The customer service gentleman referred me to the dietary counselors for help. I emailed them and received 3 emails within an hour. 3 items had almonds in them and I am allergic to almonds. So, 3 replacement items have been ordered. Super fast service! I am thankful for everyone’s help in this matter and will recommend Nutrisystem to other friends.

Hello Denise,

Thank you for providing us with this review. We are so sorry to hear that you received products you were allergic to but are happy that you were provided with excellent and speedy service to rectify the issue! Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Upon receiving my second shipment of frozen food, much was lost because no dry ice had been packed, as it had been previously. I called Nutrisystem requesting a credit, which they would not process. Instead they said the only recourse was for them to resend the order of frozen food. When the order was resent, it wasn't the frozen food, but instead the dry food. The company's attitude was one of indifference to me and their follow through to a mutually agreeable conclusion was pathetic.

Hi Michael,

We are sorry that the frozen arrived melted as well as the wrong portion of your order was reshipped. We will be looking into this and reaching out.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience team

Original review: June 14, 2018

My order of Nutrisystem was stopped, food never shipped to me, never received reimbursement of funds back from you. Can you help make this right? To summarize, monies were taken from my account, food was not shipped to me at my request, refund never was never deposited back into my account. What do I need to do to get my money back?

Hi Pamela!

We are sorry about this. This definitely does not sound right. Give us a few days to investigate this and we will be reaching out soon.

-The Consumer Experience Team

Original review: June 13, 2018

FYI I am 81 years old, a male and an RN still working. I found myself at 202lbs when I needed to be about 170lbs, started 3 month ago and so far have lost 17lbs. My experience has been: the whole thing is about learning food selection and portion control otherwise you will lose the weight and put it right back on. Most of the meals are good, one or two have been not so good and a few have been excellent, but they are providing you with a lot of variety and all and all the food is satisfying and convenient. Several people that know I am doing Nutrisystem have talked to me and one of the main concerns seems to be about the cost. It works like this, you are buying most of your groceries just one time a month, you will still need to buy supplementary vegetables and a few other things but in my case once I deducted junk food and fast food meals I probably am spending less.

The delivery has been perfect. It comes by FedEx and has been right on time and nothing has been damaged in shipment. You get 2 boxes one with shelf storage items and a box of frozen stuff packed with dry ice. The frozen stuff has been always still frozen so far! The people at Nutrisystem have been very good to work with always courteous and helpful, replies by Email take a little time but they will get back with you and work things out to your satisfaction.

Looking back I remember only one really bad moment, I had just received my first package and had what seemed to be a huge number of packages of food all over the kitchen table and didn't know where to start to make sense of it all, my wife told me "look for the instructions!" Sure enough I found the instructions and read them it made sense. Read the directions, DON'T OVERTHINK IT. Just do what you are supposed to and it will work. You didn't get overweight in two weeks, you won't lose it in two weeks have some patience. GOOD LUCK!

Hello David,

Thank you for sharing this with us. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the plan and your success so far! Keep up the great work. Be sure to reach out and let us know if you have any questions about your plan.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I am trying to help my husband lose weight instead of having any surgery. Dawn was very helpful today when I spoke with her. I just pray to God that I can help him with his weight. I am worried and scared that I will not do it correct and he chooses the latter. Thank you Dawn.

Hello Norma,

We are happy that you have had great service from Dawn. We will be sure to let her supervisor know. If there are any questions that you have, please reach out to us again. We want to help you help your husband!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 12, 2018

I was very happy with the first two orders I received from Nutrisystem and have been losing weight at a regular pace. As with anything we eat, I didn't care for some items and liked others very much. On Friday I received an email saying I had through Sunday to customize my next order which would process on Monday. I was not able to go online until Sunday evening. Last time I customized my order I had to have assistance because my profile didn't show an order scheduled. They said I had multiple profiles set up so they corrected it. This time when I went online, same thing - no record of a pending order. I called and emailed but could not get anyone to respond. I listened to hold music until just before midnight when I gave up.

It's an expensive program, but like I said I was happy with the results and figuring out what I wanted from the menu. But too expensive to accept what I didn't care for. I was able to cancel my shipment (at least I was told that so I hope to see a credit to my bank account soon). I then cancelled my plan. I can't spend that kind of time trying to get customer service that should be readily available to customers. The man that spoke with me to cancel my plan was not what I would hope for in a customer service department either. I did get assistance Monday, by chat, with someone who was pleasant and very helpful. Since I cancelled I've received an email asking me back for a reduced price, but would have to agree to auto shipment for 4 months. I might agree for the price to an additional month or two, but not 4. Maybe it's just time to move on to another plan for me.

Hi Michelle,

We are happy to hear you are liking the program but are sad to hear you are having troubles with the website. We will be reaching out soon.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I received my first Nutrisystem order on Saturday in hopes for it to be a positive experience. Unfortunately it started off terribly. My first shipment came with dry food and ANTS! I've included some pictures for you to see. I figured maybe a package opened within the box, which might have attracted ants along the way, no packages were open instead there must be ants in their facility, which is how the ants got in there. Needless to say this has made the food delivered even less appetizing than I expected.

I hoped that considering this inconvenience when I called customer service they'd attempt to make me feel better about the situation, like it was rare or that they would make up for it with a discount etc. Instead they only offered me a routine line about how they would let their shipment facility know and give me a 15 dollar discount on my next delivery. This leads me to believe it's a routine occurrence and I'm not the first one to call about it. I truly recommend just doing another weight loss program out there, the food isn't appetizing on this plan and it's more expensive than its worth. If you still decide to order, just open the package outside so you don't have ants getting into your kitchen. I didn't realize 300 dollars meant I'd get the gift of ants too.

Hi Heather,

We agree. Receiving a package with ants would definitely not be very appealing. We will be looking into this and reaching out.

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Tem

Original review: June 12, 2018

The person that responded to my email inquiry was helpful and polite. The person that answered the phone yesterday when I called was the exact opposite - she was rude, unhelpful, and extremely frustrating. I had some questions about customizing my order when I called, but she was so rude in the first 30 seconds of our call that I didn't want to stay on the phone to ask her anything else. My experience so far has been like that - either the employee I speak with is extremely nice and helpful, or the exact opposite.

Hi Bryan,

We are very sorry about the representative you spoke with over the phone. When you call, you should receive a polite and friendly person. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

Original review: June 12, 2018

While my inquiry was responded to very quickly I am discouraged that Nutrisystem uses artificial sweetener - not aspartame but sucralose is the same hazardous ingredient to the body. I did ask if there is a menu plan with items that do not contain artificial sweetener but have not received an answer. I’m thinking if I avoid desserts I will be OK but don’t have an answer.

Hi Cathy,

We are sorry that you are not happy with some of the ingredients in our food. We will be having someone reach out to you to discuss this further.

Original review: June 12, 2018

NuMi - This app does not work on my phone. I don't have the most powerful phone and I think other things are taking up all the memory. Doesn't matter I guess, because I don't plan to use it. Too much of a pain in the **.

Hi Roger,

We are sad to hear you aren't a fan of NuMi. We will be reaching out shortly to see if we can help.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I called the counseling support line this morning and spoke with Sarah. She was FANTASTIC!!! I work overnight and was struggling with how to eat on my schedule and she gave me very supportive guidance, giving me many suggestions on how to adjust my Nutrisystem meals to be most beneficial for my weight loss progress as well as some great recipe ideas. She also emailed me a grocery guide which will be very helpful to me.

Hello Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! We love hearing from our customers. We will be sure to let Sarah's supervisor know that you wrote this. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I would never do business with this company again! You said I chose automatic refill. I did not select this option. You evidently must deselect this option otherwise it is selected. Had I been notified prior to your shipping my second order, I would have cancelled. This again shows that you were deceptive.

Hi Jene,

We are sorry that you were not aware of the auto-delivery feature of the program. We will be looking into this and you will hear from us soon.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Tried the diabetic plan but my blood sugar numbers dropped significantly so program did not work for me. I cancelled my 2nd shipment because of this but was told I would have to pay the $125 cancellation fee because I had to do 2 months. I ended up having to pay $152 to cancel. The whole experience was not a good one - didn't lose much weight, my blood sugar numbers dropped too low (50 at one point) & I had to pay money to cancel the 2nd month shipment.

Hi Larry,

We are sorry to hear about your experience while on the program. We will be assigning this to a member of the Consumer Experience Team and they will be reaching out soon.

Original review: June 11, 2018

NOBODY told me there was a 14 day time limit to get refund. It was suppose to be after a month on the program. I did everything just like the program said. I called at the time and said I didn't lose the weight. Said I go for another month total loss was 8LB. Not happy and will not be happy you lied and cheated me.

Hi Mary,

We are sorry to hear you were unaware of the timeframe in which one can redeem the Money Back Guarantee. We will be taking a peek at your account and reaching out soon.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I spoke with a customer service Representative Bernadette, who assisted me with my questions and dietary concerns. She did an outstanding job of answering my questions and concerns. She sent me an email with information to assist me with making the proper decisions. I hope everyone has a positive experience like mine.

Hello Samuel,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We will be sure to let Bernadette's direct supervisor know that you were pleased with the service provided. Please let us know if there are any questions that we can answer.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The NuMi app will not allow a reset of the new start date and new starting weight. Unable to accurately tracking new weight loss. Very frustrating and UNINSPIRING!! The ability to accurately track progress is part of the motivation!! Very disappointing!!

Hi Nancy!

We certainly do not want you to become uninspired because of NuMi. We will be having someone reach out to you soon.

Insufficient response received
Original review: June 10, 2018

Reviews state that their product is wonderful, many a success story has been written. However, a wonderful product is practically useless if a customer struggles to obtain it, to the point of frustration. I've attempted for 3 days to order through the website, only to be consistently frustrated by a web page that is horribly slow to load, and can't complete an order as the site simply is broken. So, I attempted to order through my smartphone, which is an awkward process at best, attempting to navigate through a tiny screen.

After all this, working with on-line chat specialists, and they were incapable of resolving the many issues with pricing, applying appropriate discounts (auto-shipping, Veteran, etc. ), and when the order was processed, it suddenly jumped (and was billed ) $30 over what was quoted. Again, customer support was unable to change or modify the order, and so I was forced to cancel the entire order. After all this, they asked me to place the order again, to again experience the frustration of customizing an order through a smartphone (due to limited freezer space), and trust that the billing would be correctly done.

Hello Edric,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are sorry to hear that you had trouble placing an order on the website. We are also sorry to hear that the plan cost more than you were told. We will have a team member look into your account and reach out soon.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I informed them that I could not do the dried foods due to a digestive issue. My doctor explained that it was no doubt a preservative being used. I have continued to try and reach someone via phone or chat. I finally sent an email which responded stating I needed to contact customer care. I tried that. No luck so I called the number to cancel the deliveries for now. I told that operator and she transferred me to customer care. Before doing that I told her I did not want to be left on hold. Didn’t matter. I was. I was only supposed to get frozen food shipped but lo and behold I got dried again then I emailed again. Got a response telling me it’s too late to return the stuff.

Hello Peggy,

Thank you for reaching out and taking the time to write your review. We are sorry that you have had these issue with the foods and getting in contact with us to return them. One of our team members will be looking into your account and will reach out soon.

The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: June 9, 2018

My experience so far has been wonderful. My order was easily placed and shipped to me with great packaging. I have to say that the food is quite good and filling. I appreciate the helpful information that is both emailed and included in my shipment. Customer service has been very helpful and timely. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my decision. Thank you!

Hello Gail,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying the food and the service! Please let us know if you have any questions.

Original review: June 8, 2018

This is a very good meal plan. I am very happy with my results and feel I am losing the weight in a timely manner. I am excited about the way I am feeling with the weight loss. I am going to tell my friends about how good the food is.

Hi Janice,

Thank you so much for reaching out with your review. We are so happy to hear how much you are enjoying the plan and the food.

Keep up the good work with your weight loss!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Not listening when I say cancel the plan - I called as instructed and was on hold for over 10 minutes. I like the plan but the difficulty of stopping the plan is a dealbreaker. I'm not wasting any time calling in. Very unfortunate as I have recommended the plan to several friends.

Hello Mitch,

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review. We are so sorry to hear about the issue you are having with cancelling your program.

We will have a member from our team reach out to assist. We appreciate your patience as we get this issue resolved for you.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I tried Nutrisystem and found it did not work for me. When I tried to cancel, the gentleman I spoke with told me I could not cancel because I had committed to 2 months. I explained that 1200 calories was not enough for me because I work out. He said I could "add food" to my monthly plan. Mind you, a month of food is almost 400.00. I was having a very difficult time affording that, much less justifying it when I stayed starving! He proceeded to ask me how much my grocery bill was. When I told him my personal bills were none of his business, he became very defensive. He was rude and argumentative. Almost to the point of yelling over anything I tried to say. Needless to say, I am very sorry I tried Nutrisystem. In my opinion, it is a racket. I should have listened to my husband. He tried to warn me.

Hello Sandi,

Thank you for reaching out with your review. We are sorry to hear that you were not aware of the auto-delivery terms and conditions upon signing up online.

We also appreciate you bringing your Customer Service experience to our attention and apologize if you feel the service was not satisfactory.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have tried repeatedly to contact customer service over the last 2 weeks and have been unsuccessful. I received a coupon code in April for 25% off a shake order and it wouldn't work in May when I tried to use it. I have called and never got through, emailed several times and tried the online chat. Very discouraged.

Hello Jeffrey,

Thank you for reaching out with your review. We are sorry to hear about the issue you had redeeming your promotion code.

We also appreciate you bringing your our attention the difficultly you had contacting us for assistance.

We will be looking into your account and getting in touch soon.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Ordered $331 on April 2018 custom meals. Some are good, some tasted horrible. They automatic charged me another $331 in May for auto-order, fine, I did not read it careful from beginning. Then I had to call to cancel auto-order because I could not do that on my account with them, I could only delay order instead. Called, they said order already placed, can't cancel. Fine, I said cancel the next one and remove me from automatic order since I want to choose whatever I like and whenever I want to buy.

They shipped the frozen meals next day, cool, waited for 3 weeks for dry meals but not happens. Contact the rep and they said I canceled the dry portion of that order. Well, so why didn't I get the refund? Whatever right, I chose to cancel the dry meals, which about 1/2 of the meals and they only refund $12. For half of the food, that I paid $331 for. Policies, cancel charges, they did not know exactly how much I would get for refund until I requested it. If I change my mind, I gotta call customer service. You know what, $12 is fine, not expensive, for the lesson, and I learned do not trust those freaking scams. Want to diet, count the calories and cook yourself a homemade/safe meal at home, it works. I was lazy and now lesson learned.

Hello Anh,

Thank you for reaching out with your review. We are sorry to hear about the confusion with your cancellation and refund.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2018

Was very unhappy, which you already know. Will be talking to my lawyer again, about the extra $125.00 charge. I will be sure People I know don’t fall for your deceptive program. I did everything as was recommended, and I’m very active at work, and at home.

Hello Debbie,

Nutrisystem expert review by JJ Virgin

Nutrisystem's low-calorie diet plans feature both pre-selected and customized menus with more than 150 pre-packaged food options. Customers can benefit from an online health tracking platform and individualized counseling from dieticians and weight loss coaches.

• Separate plans: Nutrisystem offers separate plans for men and women, with different options and price points customized to your weight loss goals. Because it is not a “one size fits all” plan, Nutrisystem could work well for anyone on the go who demands fast, satisfying meals for weight loss.

• A diabetes plan: With meals containing 12 grams or less of sugar, Nutrisystem takes the guesswork out of choosing optimal low-glycemic foods to stabilize blood sugar -- which could be good for people with any degree of insulin resistance.

• Convenience: Any busy person who does not have time to prepare their own meals would benefit from having frozen and other pre-packaged meals and snacks delivered to their home. Nutrisystem will ship all the food you need to your doorstep, with free shipping included. You can also find their products on QVC, at Costco and at several major grocers and mass retailers like Kroger and Walmart.

• Transition and maintenance plan: This program provides long-term fat loss success rather than just focusing on initial weight loss, which is important for those who need to establish lifelong healthy habits.

• Vegetarian options: While all of the meals offered by Nutrisystem are designed to comply with the USDA's recommendations for a nutritious diet, those who want to stick to a vegetarian diet can especially benefit from Nutrisystem. You can avoid all animal products and still lose weight with Nutrisystem, with over 90 vegetarian options.

• Frequent meals: Many people fail at diets because their bodies crave snacks to maintain their blood sugar levels throughout the day. Because Nutrisystem allows 6 meals a day, you can avoid a dip in your blood sugar that could lead to cravings. By eating smaller portions, you can eat more frequently and still reach your weight loss goals.

• Best for: college students, busy adults and new moms.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
JJ Virgin

Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Nutrisystem Company Information