3.9/5 (3802 ratings)

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Nutrisystem

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Pros

• Meals shipped to your door
  • Vegetarian and diabetic options
  • Affordable

Cons

• No in-person support

Bottom Line

Nutrisystem delivers healthy meals with a detailed guide and diet plan to your door. Monthly plans don’t offer in-person support, but they do help dieters learn about balanced, portion-controlled eating habits.

Top Nutrisystem Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been using Nutrisystem for almost a year and I am very pleased with the food and the results. My food always arrives fast and tastes amazing… Nutrisystem is flexible and of...

Verified

Just want to say thanks. I've sent several emails to counseling support in the few days that I've been on the plan and they are so helpful and encouraging... I like the emails as ...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Nutrisystem?

Nutrisystem is a weight loss and nutrition company for people who want to manage their weight, eat healthily and create new diet habits. Nutrisystem offers monthly meal plans and à la carte items, and it sells products on the company's website and through authorized retailers and distributors.

Nutrisystem offers four primary plans — Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus — and has vegetarian and diabetic options available. Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans include unlimited frozen meals and snacks, and flex meals allow customers the opportunity to cook balanced meals at home or eat at restaurants. Customers have the option of getting handpicked meals with the Chef’s Choice menu or individually picking their meals at sign-up. Nutrisystem sells plans directly on its website.

How does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem dieters eat every two to three hours, up to six times per day. A printed meal plan is included in the first shipment to make it easy for dieters to follow their Nutrisystem plan from the start. Depending on the plan, meal and snack items include options such as buttermilk waffles, mac and cheese, grilled chicken sandwiches and chocolate-covered pretzels.

Meal deliveries are made every four to 10 days. Frozen meals are shipped in frozen storage trucks and packed in dry ice that keeps them frozen for up to eight hours after delivery. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is free order tracking, which makes it easy to manage and adjust your meals.

Nutrisystem plans

Nutrisystem Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours, Uniquely Yours Plus and Vegetarian plans can be customized for male or female dieters, and the company has diabetic options. Nutrisystem’s website lists a comprehensive nutritional breakdown of all menu items on each plan.

Nutrisystem Basic
Choose your meals or go with the Chef’s Choice, a preset menu of popular foods. A typical eating schedule on Nutrisystem includes three meals and three snacks per day and includes menu items like three-cheese chicken with steamed broccoli, apple cinnamon oatmeal and white cheddar popcorn. A four-week Basic plan with auto-delivery costs $294.99. Customers can add shakes for an additional $79.98.
  • Basic Diabetes: Nutrisystem created its Basic Diabetes plan to help customers manage their glucose levels while losing weight. The Basic Diabetes plan includes menu items such as blueberry muffins, chicken noodle soup and white chocolate chunk cookies.
Nutrisystem Core
Nutrisystem Core comes with more variety and food options than the Basic plan. The first week comes with specially selected meals to jump-start weight loss and ease dieters into the plan. The Core plan also includes unlimited online support from counselors and dietitians. A four-week Core plan with auto-delivery costs $319.99, and probiotic shakes can be added for an additional fee.
  • Core Diabetes: The Core Diabetes plan offers Chef’s Choice Pack and unlimited customer support. With portion control, customers can enjoy whole-grain crackers and cheese, cheese tortellini and Santa Fe-style chicken on Nutrisystem’s Core Diabetes plan.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours
Uniquely Yours is similar to the Core and Basic plans but comes with even more menu options. A typical Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours day might include a cranberry orange muffin, mixed nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, a hamburger and side salad for lunch, roasted turkey and green beans for dinner and snacks throughout the day. Not including shakes, four weeks of auto-delivery costs $359.99.
  • Uniquely Yours Diabetes: With even more menu options created for those with Type 2 diabetes, dieters can manage their blood glucose levels and eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks. On the Uniquely Yours Diabetes, customers have the bonus of receiving unlimited frozen meals and snacks. Favorite menu items include apple slices dipped in peanut butter, ice cream sandwiches and broccoli and cheese melt with sliced vegetables.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours Plus
The Uniquely Yours Plus plan includes everything in the three previous plans and adds even more variety and high-protein shakes. On a typical day, you might have waffles and scrambled eggs with coffee for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a salad for lunch and a pizza with salad for dinner. Probiotic shakes, cheese puffs, popcorn and mixed nuts make for great snacks throughout the day, and you can even have a chocolate brownie sundae for an evening snack. At $399.99 per month with auto-delivery, it’s one of Nutrisystems best plans for those who crave variety.
Nutrisystem Vegetarian
Nutrisystem's vegetarian plan makes it easy for customers on plant-based diets to enjoy balanced and nutritional meals. Menu items include home-style pancakes and stuffed shells with sautéed spinach plus a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Four-week vegetarian plans with auto-delivery start at $359.99.

Compare Nutrisystem cost

Core$11.43
Uniquely Yours$12.86
Uniquely Yours Plus$14.29

Nutrisystem FAQ

How much weight can I lose on Nutrisystem?
Nutrisystem results vary, but you can lose up to 13 to 15 pounds in the first month and one to two pounds per week after.
Can you drink alcohol on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem dieters can enjoy alcohol in moderation — stick to drier wines and light beer. Customers should avoid mixed cocktails and alcoholic beverages high in sugar or fat.
Do you have to exercise on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem is designed to help dieters create healthy lifestyle habits and encourages 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week. Nutrisystem offers the My Daily 3 plan as part of the company’s eating schedule to help customers get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Are Nutrisystem meals frozen?
Sometimes. Nutrisystem uses a soft canning process to keep meals fresh and ready to eat without freezing. Only Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans have frozen menu items.
Does Nutrisystem food have preservatives?
Most Nutrisystem meals don’t have preservatives, though some include BHT, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate and sodium benzoate. More than 120 Nutrisystem foods don’t contain preservatives.
Can Nutrisystem plans be gluten-free?
No, Nutrisystem does not currently offer a gluten-free plan.
Does Nutrisystem have a vegetarian plan?
Yes, Nutrisystem has a vegetarian plan.
Does Nutrisystem offer diabetic options?
Yes, Nutrisystem offers diabetic options.
Does Nutrisystem use artificial sweeteners?
Yes, some Nutrisystem foods contain artificial sweeteners, most commonly sucralose. Some offered meals also include sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.
Does Nutrisystem food have a lot of sodium?
Not a lot. Most Nutrisystem plans are below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommended daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
What is the cost of Nutrisystem for one month?
The cost of Nutrisystem for one month ranges from $294.99 to $399.99 with auto-delivery.
What is Nutrisystem’s return policy?
Regular subscribers can request a return or refund within 30 days of their delivery. After 30 days, Nutrisystem provides a refund for unopened, non-frozen Nutrisystem foods. Customers can also request a full refund within 14 days of their first order, not including à la carte and weekly orders.

Does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem’s plans work for dieters who want to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise. You can choose from multiple plan options — Core and Basic plans are good for starting out, while the Uniquely Yours plans give dieters more variety and flexibility. All Nutrisystem plans deliver ready-to-go meals straight to your door to help manage short-term and long-term weight loss.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Scam of the century - nowhere on website to cancel membership, finally emailed and got a cancellation confirmation then a month later, they shipped my next order and charged my credit card $360. Called customer service 3 times - was on hold a total of 152 minutes, no one ever picked up so I gave up. Emailed 4 times with no response. Now I have to put a dispute in with my credit card company and hope Fedex reads my large sign I posted on the porch that I refuse any shipment from Nutrisystem. One Question tells the whole story...if you are a legit, customer friendly company, why don't you have a "cancel my membership" option on your website...Answer...so you can scam people. Also filing a BBB complaint as well.

Hello Denise,

We are so sorry for your experience. We want to help!

Please reach us via Live Chat under "Contact Us" from our website at www.nutrisystem.com for immediate assistance. You can also email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

First of all, it is nearly impossible for a customer service call to be answered. After multiple attempts to cancel online and to call, I finally made contact with a person. I told the customer service agent that I had not ordered food, I had delayed the order because I didn't see a way to cancel it, and I want a refund. She told me that there is no way to cancel the shipment. She won't refund my payment although the credit card company shows that the charge is still "pending". With a UPS tracking number, an order can be re-routed. Instead, she told me that I have to wait until the order arrives, ship the food back, call them, and then they will refund my payment. I do not want this food and I want a refund. I would never recommend using Nutrisystem because of this practice of making it difficult to cancel, and automatically shipping and charging.

Hello Leslie,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry for your experience. We want to help!

Please reach us via Live Chat under "Contact Us" at our website at www.nutrisystem.com for immediate assistance. You can also email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

~ The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I have used other food delivery services, each kept track of delivery days and if the order was delayed, you got an email saying a replacement was in order and please dispose of the shipment if it arrives late (and some were already returned via shipper). I have been a Nutrisystem customer for years, and their customer service leaves much to be desired. Emails take a long time to respond, and IF you can get anyone on the phone, that will take awhile too.

Had a recent shipment shipped on 9-12, and arrived at my home 9-16... The dry ice was long gone and almost everything in the container was thawed. Keep in mind, there is apparently nothing in their system to warn me or safeguard the situation that a late shipment is arriving. I understand there are shipping problems, most customers will. But HOW is it handled is important. So I made a call on 9-16 where I was on hold for 19 minutes, in frustration gave up and in their "Request Replacement" page and filled in what happened. (I discarded all of the food in the container.) Here I am on 9-20, and I have heard nothing... Seems odd a company would not make it a bigger priority to warn a customer about frozen food that could hold potential danger, then days later the customer is left without any response.

Hello Kent,

Please reach us via Live Chat under "Contact Us" at the top of our website at www.nutrisystem.com for immediate assistance. We look forward to hearing from you soon and to helping!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I signed up for Nutrisystem on 09/10/2022 and today (09/15/2022), Nutrisystem has double charged me. By them do not this, they have messed up my checking account and cost me a $33.00 over drift fee. I spent the morning on the phone with customer service, with no remedy to my problem. Note: most of the time on the phone was on hold. How can a continue my relationship with Nutrisystem, when they have made this big of mistake in the first five days.

Hello John,

Please reach us via Live Chat under "Contact Us" from our website at www.nutrisystem.com for assistance. You can also email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I started on Nutrisystem about 4 months ago in the hopes to lower my A1C. I stuck to the plan and my A1C INCREASED by .5, to above 7.0. I do not recommend for diabetics. I was very disappointed. I did lose weight, but my main goal was to lower my A1C and it did not.

Hello Randi,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry that our program did you work as expected for you.

If you would like to discuss this matter further please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name and phone number connected. We look forward to hearing from you! -the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I have been trying to cancel the auto reorder for over a week. Multiple calls with wait times over 40 minutes before I hung up. Numerous emails sent with no response, Tried the chat, also no response. Website will also not let you cancel. Also now will not let me delay. I tried deleting my credit card info... And they still shipped the next order, with a price increase to add injury to insult. Tried calling corporate office... left a message, again no response. Literally impossible to get through to anyone to cancel.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that you would like to end your plan and that you have had trouble contacting us.

Please send us an email to consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with your full name and phone number. Be sure to reference this review as well. You can also chat in with our team 8a-8p ET Monday through Friday or 9a-5:30p Saturday and Sunday

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Started with wanting to make an undetermined postponement on delivery which can only be done via phone. Service repeatedly put on hold automatically and was never picked up this happened day after day and they sent meal when there was nobody to receive it. The package sat in the Sun for 2 days and everything which could go bad... did. Also tried to cancel account (can only be done on phone) to stop and again the numbers provided have an automatic menu which ends up with you on hold. Just as a test I put phone on speaker for more than 1 hour several times and it was never picked up. Who waits that long on hold??? Maybe just frustrated people wanting to tie up the phones of a non responsive Company! I still have not been able to cancel this account. I've put a stop on the card on file with them. Avoid this company!

Hello,

We are so sorry to hear about your experience while attempting to stop your Auto Delivery plan with Nutrisystem. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. Please include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you. We thank you for your review and your feedback. -The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I've been a loyal customer for many years. There is a problem with a shipment now and customer service has been worthless... They continue to lie and say the order shipped on the 1st even after I provided them with a screenshot of tracking from the 4th showing they never gave FedEx possession of the pkg (today's the 5th and they still haven't shipped my order). They deny any issue exists, refuse to look into the issue, and continue their blatant false claims that the order shipped 5 days ago when tracking clearly shows it never shipped. So it appears I'm going to have to dispute the cc charge and go elsewhere.

Hello Wade,

We are so sorry for your experience. We want to help! Please send us an email at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name, address, and phone number on your account. In the subject line of your email please indicate, "Consumer Affair Review."

- The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: July 28, 2022

It is NOT made clear on the website that you are signing up for a 2 months minimum contract. I bought 1 month and declined an opportunity to buy multiple months for less money. I wanted to simply try it to see if it suited me. I didn't think I needed to cancel, until a family member who has done Nutrisystem warned me me to check. I looked and saw that they were set up to charge me for a second month. I called to cancel (the fact that you HAVE to call to cancel is another alarm bell) and was told I would be required to pay a fee in order to cancel "early". When I stated that it is NOT made clear, the rep told me to "tread lightly" and that it was "definitely explicitly stated on our site".

I spoke with a second rep who agreed to waive the fee, but when I asked her to guide me to where it states this, she guided me to the page where it says "auto delivery" and said I had to click edit. First of all, you should never have to click to different page to understand the contract you're entering into and secondly, it still did NOT state explicitly that you are entering into a 2 month minimum. I told the rep they should make it clearer to which she responded "we've already waived your fee, ma'am." I thanked her and told her that that was great, but it still needed to be fixed. She clearly didn't care that customers are being unknowingly taken advantage of. I will tell anyone who is thinking of doing nutrisystem that they should go with another more ethical company. This is, at best, purposefully manipulative and vague and at worst, borderline theft.

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us.

While we are very sorry your experience was not a positive one, we greatly appreciate your feedback! We would encourage that you reach out to us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com so we may further investigate and help to resolve these concerns.

We look forward to hearing from you again soon!

- The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: July 19, 2022

I recently signed up for the month plan on the Nutrisystem site, selected their most robust and customized plan where I order my own meals, and also receive a couple weeks worth of protein shake powder. I started at 260 lbs and hoped to lose somewhere around 50 lbs by the end of the two months. Starting with the ordering process, it is very misleading. All of the advertised pricing leads you to believe that your monthly cost is somewhere around $450 or $15/day. Then they push their promotions for 50% off, free this, free that, etc. So a reasonable person would expect that the 50% off would come out to about 7 or 8 dollars/day at the discounted rate.

The reality is that their sale price is 15/day, so beware of this. Maybe others realized that, but I was surprised when I paid nearly 900 dollars for my first two months. It was explained to me that if I just did an ad hoc order, without pre-paying as I did, the monthly price is close to 900 dollars. My mistake, I guess but nowhere on the site does it say this.

Onto the plan itself... The shipping and tracking of their products is really good. I received the first half of non-frozen items about a week prior to receiving the frozen stuff. It was all packaged very well and easy to track the shipments. The food itself is a little bit hit or miss. I hate some food that was delicious, and other food that I would not again. You only have a couple weeks on the plan before you have to confirm your next order, so you don't really get a chance to filter through too much of the food to know what you like or dislike, and make adjustments to your next order. If you stay on the program beyond two months, you would know very well however I assume most don't go beyond the initial two months.

Food portions are very small - like I took my wife's dinner plate, and basically ate what was leftover after she finished her meal - that small. Again, I expected some of this as it is a diet plan after all, and I received a good mix of different types of food, even including sweets. By the time the second week rolls around, you have can add some other foods onto your meals which really helps, and overall you feel less hungry throughout the day, which is the point of the plan. I lost 15 pounds my first week, which I think was mostly water, as subsequent weeks, thus far anyway, I have pretty much maintained the same weight. I am very regimented in following the meal plans and requirements, and hoped to lose 3-4 pounds per week after the first week. So far that hasn't happened....I'm still sitting at -15lbs overall.

Food was ok, portions are crazy small, plan resources, guides, help, etc. are excellent and easy to follow, even allowing for add-ons and customizations beyond week 1. My major disappointed is the price, and the way it is sold. Customer service agent even told me they don't list their full retail price on the site - seems like a deliberate misleading of customers to me. They were unapologetic when I called, and frankly, unsurprised that I complained, so I am guessing this is fairly routine. I really wanted to be excited about this plan as I need help in losing weight, and feel pretty disillusioned overall. The program just isn't for me.

Good:
    Program resources - guides, meal plans, food lists, helpful tips, etc. are excellent.

Food is actually pretty tasty for the most part, and includes a nice variety of meals and snacks. Lots of choices.

Bad:
    Pricing - Expensive and misleading
    Effectiveness - Thus far, a little disappointing beyond the first week, but I'll do an updated review after my two months cycle has been fully completed.

Not much time between first and second order to vet out which foods you may like or dislike.

Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience regarding our pricing. We would like to help you with this. Please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with your full name and email address so we can better assist you. Be sure to include details about your experience in your email.

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team