Find a Weight Loss Programs partner

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Nutrisystem

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Pros

• Meals shipped to your door
  • Vegetarian and diabetic options
  • Affordable

Cons

• No in-person support

Bottom Line

Nutrisystem delivers healthy meals with a detailed guide and diet plan to your door. Monthly plans don’t offer in-person support, but they do help dieters learn about balanced, portion-controlled eating habits.

Top Nutrisystem Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been using Nutrisystem for almost a year and I am very pleased with the food and the results. My food always arrives fast and tastes amazing… Nutrisystem is flexible and of...

Verified

Just want to say thanks. I've sent several emails to counseling support in the few days that I've been on the plan and they are so helpful and encouraging... I like the emails as ...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Nutrisystem?

Nutrisystem is a weight loss and nutrition company for people who want to manage their weight, eat healthily and create new diet habits. Nutrisystem offers monthly meal plans and à la carte items, and it sells products on the company's website and through authorized retailers and distributors.

Nutrisystem offers four primary plans — Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus — and has vegetarian and diabetic options available. Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans include unlimited frozen meals and snacks, and flex meals allow customers the opportunity to cook balanced meals at home or eat at restaurants. Customers have the option of getting handpicked meals with the Chef’s Choice menu or individually picking their meals at sign-up. Nutrisystem sells plans directly on its website.

How does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem dieters eat every two to three hours, up to six times per day. A printed meal plan is included in the first shipment to make it easy for dieters to follow their Nutrisystem plan from the start. Depending on the plan, meal and snack items include options such as buttermilk waffles, mac and cheese, grilled chicken sandwiches and chocolate-covered pretzels.

Meal deliveries are made every four to 10 days. Frozen meals are shipped in frozen storage trucks and packed in dry ice that keeps them frozen for up to eight hours after delivery. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is free order tracking, which makes it easy to manage and adjust your meals.

Nutrisystem plans

Nutrisystem Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours, Uniquely Yours Plus and Vegetarian plans can be customized for male or female dieters, and the company has diabetic options. Nutrisystem’s website lists a comprehensive nutritional breakdown of all menu items on each plan.

Nutrisystem Basic
Choose your meals or go with the Chef’s Choice, a preset menu of popular foods. A typical eating schedule on Nutrisystem includes three meals and three snacks per day and includes menu items like three-cheese chicken with steamed broccoli, apple cinnamon oatmeal and white cheddar popcorn. A four-week Basic plan with auto-delivery costs $294.99. Customers can add shakes for an additional $79.98.
  • Basic Diabetes: Nutrisystem created its Basic Diabetes plan to help customers manage their glucose levels while losing weight. The Basic Diabetes plan includes menu items such as blueberry muffins, chicken noodle soup and white chocolate chunk cookies.
Nutrisystem Core
Nutrisystem Core comes with more variety and food options than the Basic plan. The first week comes with specially selected meals to jump-start weight loss and ease dieters into the plan. The Core plan also includes unlimited online support from counselors and dietitians. A four-week Core plan with auto-delivery costs $319.99, and probiotic shakes can be added for an additional fee.
  • Core Diabetes: The Core Diabetes plan offers Chef’s Choice Pack and unlimited customer support. With portion control, customers can enjoy whole-grain crackers and cheese, cheese tortellini and Santa Fe-style chicken on Nutrisystem’s Core Diabetes plan.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours
Uniquely Yours is similar to the Core and Basic plans but comes with even more menu options. A typical Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours day might include a cranberry orange muffin, mixed nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, a hamburger and side salad for lunch, roasted turkey and green beans for dinner and snacks throughout the day. Not including shakes, four weeks of auto-delivery costs $359.99.
  • Uniquely Yours Diabetes: With even more menu options created for those with Type 2 diabetes, dieters can manage their blood glucose levels and eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks. On the Uniquely Yours Diabetes, customers have the bonus of receiving unlimited frozen meals and snacks. Favorite menu items include apple slices dipped in peanut butter, ice cream sandwiches and broccoli and cheese melt with sliced vegetables.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours Plus
The Uniquely Yours Plus plan includes everything in the three previous plans and adds even more variety and high-protein shakes. On a typical day, you might have waffles and scrambled eggs with coffee for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a salad for lunch and a pizza with salad for dinner. Probiotic shakes, cheese puffs, popcorn and mixed nuts make for great snacks throughout the day, and you can even have a chocolate brownie sundae for an evening snack. At $399.99 per month with auto-delivery, it’s one of Nutrisystems best plans for those who crave variety.
Nutrisystem Vegetarian
Nutrisystem's vegetarian plan makes it easy for customers on plant-based diets to enjoy balanced and nutritional meals. Menu items include home-style pancakes and stuffed shells with sautéed spinach plus a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Four-week vegetarian plans with auto-delivery start at $359.99.

Compare Nutrisystem cost

Core$11.43
Uniquely Yours$12.86
Uniquely Yours Plus$14.29

Nutrisystem FAQ

How much weight can I lose on Nutrisystem?
Nutrisystem results vary, but you can lose up to 13 to 15 pounds in the first month and one to two pounds per week after.
Can you drink alcohol on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem dieters can enjoy alcohol in moderation — stick to drier wines and light beer. Customers should avoid mixed cocktails and alcoholic beverages high in sugar or fat.
Do you have to exercise on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem is designed to help dieters create healthy lifestyle habits and encourages 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week. Nutrisystem offers the My Daily 3 plan as part of the company’s eating schedule to help customers get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Are Nutrisystem meals frozen?
Sometimes. Nutrisystem uses a soft canning process to keep meals fresh and ready to eat without freezing. Only Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans have frozen menu items.
Does Nutrisystem food have preservatives?
Most Nutrisystem meals don’t have preservatives, though some include BHT, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate and sodium benzoate. More than 120 Nutrisystem foods don’t contain preservatives.
Can Nutrisystem plans be gluten-free?
No, Nutrisystem does not currently offer a gluten-free plan.
Does Nutrisystem have a vegetarian plan?
Yes, Nutrisystem has a vegetarian plan.
Does Nutrisystem offer diabetic options?
Yes, Nutrisystem offers diabetic options.
Does Nutrisystem use artificial sweeteners?
Yes, some Nutrisystem foods contain artificial sweeteners, most commonly sucralose. Some offered meals also include sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.
Does Nutrisystem food have a lot of sodium?
Not a lot. Most Nutrisystem plans are below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommended daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
What is the cost of Nutrisystem for one month?
The cost of Nutrisystem for one month ranges from $294.99 to $399.99 with auto-delivery.
What is Nutrisystem’s return policy?
Regular subscribers can request a return or refund within 30 days of their delivery. After 30 days, Nutrisystem provides a refund for unopened, non-frozen Nutrisystem foods. Customers can also request a full refund within 14 days of their first order, not including à la carte and weekly orders.

Does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem’s plans work for dieters who want to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise. You can choose from multiple plan options — Core and Basic plans are good for starting out, while the Uniquely Yours plans give dieters more variety and flexibility. All Nutrisystem plans deliver ready-to-go meals straight to your door to help manage short-term and long-term weight loss.

Nutrisystem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Well by following the program made up for that person they can learn how to eat, what to eat, and how much... see we can eat any food we want, as long as you do the necessary work to counteract that food. Like ice cream, pizza etc, if these foods weigh down on your thighs, then do some squats, to counteract what that food will do so it won't show and you won't have to care.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Courtney! Thank you for your review. We want to help you succeed with our weight loss plan. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you. ~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Lost ten pounds the first week, 10 pounds over the next 3 weeks and then got stuck halfway to my goal weight. Once I figured out which food I liked, I was able to eat more of what I liked the second month. It's super convenient to have all the meals ready to heat up and eat, the orders were very close to being right every time. I almost didn't my frozen order in time the second month. The system of tracking food and activity is well laid out and easy to understand, as was the whole program. I had a hard time eating all the extra PFs, SCs and Veggies and contacted a counselor. =-( All she said was to cut a morning protein shake in half, it was too many calories, and eat the smaller portions of SCs and PFs... I already couldn't fit all the food in my day and she told me to space out my meals. Mixed feelings about the program. I'd say it's worth a try.

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your review. If you still need help with your meal plan and progress on the plan, please email us at counselingsupport@nutrisystem.com or you can reach a Weight Loss Counselor at 1-800-585-5483, option 2, or through our Live Chat service at www.nutrisystem.com. We are here for you! Have a great day and thanks for choosing Nutrisystem!

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

This is the second time you guys have offered an item as a Numi Reward, that is out of stock. But when I email the staff, they are polite and so willing to accommodate the issue. They are great! But why are there so many items on low inventory? No ice cream sandwich for months, not stuffed chicken breasts. It has been very frustrating.

Hello Linda,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your review. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We are so sorry to hear that some of your favorite entrees are currently low inventory. We are working as diligently as possible to restock our inventory. If you have further questions, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. We appreciate your feedback, Linda.

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I had used Nutrisystem about 20 years ago with great success so thought I'd try it again. As before, I am highly pleased with the program and recommend it for weight loss. My loss has been slow but study but I feel that is the safe way and I love 98% of the meals I choose for myself. I will continue to use this system until I reach my goal of a 40 lbs weight loss. I am reading so many complaints about the service but I have never had a problem. My food comes frozen solid and on time and when I call Customer Service, I have never had a problem getting satisfactory answers to my questions. The food is very tasty and healthy!

Hello Linda,

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your positive view and and we're happy to hear that you enjoy our program. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding your meal plan, please feel free to email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. We look forward to helping you!

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: July 3, 2020

The dry ice in my last month order for frozen food Was melted. Some items were soft & not fully frozen. Yesterday I received a replacement of my order at no charge. Beside the food being great the customer service is wonderful too. Thank you Nutrisystem!

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your review. We are sorry. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. So we can better assist you with this please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. You can also reach us by phone at 1-800-585-5483. Please wait until all the options have been listed before pressing Option 1. Following this wait for the next round of options to list and then press option 8. We thank you for your review -Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: May 29, 2021

Nutrisystem food is terrible. They are such a sneaky company as well. You think you are getting a discount on the monthly plan you order but really they lock you in for 2 months. Then it’s a 125 cancellation fee. Make sure you check your email or they will send the second order. They claim you sign up for auto ship. All a scam. After 1 month eating this terrible food you will be done. Terrible company. Read all the small print when you sign the contract. I would recommend any other diet to anyone else. The dry food made me very sick. I can’t express enough how terrible the food is. This is my first review I ever wrote. I am on a mission to spread the word about this dishonest company.

Hello Tom,

We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the foods! We are happy to forward along the feedback! We do offer the option of a 1 month order or the auto delivery, we apologize if this was not more clear when signing up on the website. Please reach out at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name and address as shown on your account and we would be happy to look into this for you -The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 17, 2021

If you live in Hawaii or Alaska, don't order as you will only get the package items - no frozen items where the real food is. They can't ship frozen items to Hawaii or Alaska and the package items breakfast and lunch are okay, but the dinner items gave me so much gas and they haven't made any improvements with these food items. Don't waste your money!

Hello Georgietta,

We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the foods! We are happy to forward along the feedback! If you are having trouble with bloating and gas, sometimes that can be from the high fiber or a sensitivity to sugar alcohols. We can eliminate sugar alcohols from your diet, if that is the case and also help with ways to alleviate the issues with the fiber. Reach out at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com if you need us! -The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: May 11, 2021

I received my frozen order today and everything was thawed and melted to the point that the creamsicles were liquid. I called customer service and although they did agree to reship the items, it will be at least another week before I receive the order which completely messes up my diet as this order was late in arriving to begin with. Customer service offered no compensation and when I asked about a refund, I was refused and was told they could only reship. I was also told they could not ship the items overnight which seems ridiculous considering the money I have paid into this program. I will be canceling the program if this is the type of service you receive. It makes no sense to be on a plan if you cannot get the menu items you need and are forced to go off plan.

Hello Morrica,

We are so sorry to hear about your experience. We want to help you with this. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you and to helping.

- The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: May 9, 2021

After I saw few ad on TV I got interested to use this product, I ordered on 2/14/21 and I received the first pack which was frozen food three days after, then dry food five days then powder on 3/1/21. The food is the same you make at home. No secret ingredients. Just each meal have a small portion. Even after I looked at the nutrition fact on each package I realize all the item is same as the regular food even a little bit more Fat or sugar. There was no magic and I didn’t lose and my doctor told me to stop using this garbage and I did. On 4/14/21 they charge me $458 and shipped me the second shipment without confirming.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

When ordering you have the option to receive a one-time delivery or you can enroll in an auto-delivery. If you enroll in an auto-delivery a new order will process every 25 days until you choose to cancel. We apologize for any confusion.

If you need for us to look into anything then please email consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com referencing your review, and we will be happy to help.

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: April 29, 2021

I order Nutrisystem 28 day meal plan. My intent was a one time order. Before the 28 days were up Nutrisystem sent me another order. I call them to explain my intention. They basically said I am stuck.

Hi Mac,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Nutrisystem Company Information