1.5/5 (36 ratings)

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Nutrisystem

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Pros

• Meals shipped to your door
  • Vegetarian and diabetic options
  • Affordable

Cons

• No in-person support

Bottom Line

Nutrisystem delivers healthy meals with a detailed guide and diet plan to your door. Monthly plans don’t offer in-person support, but they do help dieters learn about balanced, portion-controlled eating habits.

Top Nutrisystem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Verified

I have been using Nutrisystem for almost a year and I am very pleased with the food and the results. My food always arrives fast and tastes amazing… Nutrisystem is flexible and of...

Verified

Just want to say thanks. I've sent several emails to counseling support in the few days that I've been on the plan and they are so helpful and encouraging... I like the emails as ...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Nutrisystem?

Nutrisystem is a weight loss and nutrition company for people who want to manage their weight, eat healthily and create new diet habits. Nutrisystem offers monthly meal plans and à la carte items, and it sells products on the company's website and through authorized retailers and distributors.

Nutrisystem offers four primary plans — Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus — and has vegetarian and diabetic options available. Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans include unlimited frozen meals and snacks, and flex meals allow customers the opportunity to cook balanced meals at home or eat at restaurants. Customers have the option of getting handpicked meals with the Chef’s Choice menu or individually picking their meals at sign-up. Nutrisystem sells plans directly on its website.

How does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem dieters eat every two to three hours, up to six times per day. A printed meal plan is included in the first shipment to make it easy for dieters to follow their Nutrisystem plan from the start. Depending on the plan, meal and snack items include options such as buttermilk waffles, mac and cheese, grilled chicken sandwiches and chocolate-covered pretzels.

Meal deliveries are made every four to 10 days. Frozen meals are shipped in frozen storage trucks and packed in dry ice that keeps them frozen for up to eight hours after delivery. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is free order tracking, which makes it easy to manage and adjust your meals.

Nutrisystem plans

Nutrisystem Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours, Uniquely Yours Plus and Vegetarian plans can be customized for male or female dieters, and the company has diabetic options. Nutrisystem’s website lists a comprehensive nutritional breakdown of all menu items on each plan.

Nutrisystem Basic
Choose your meals or go with the Chef’s Choice, a preset menu of popular foods. A typical eating schedule on Nutrisystem includes three meals and three snacks per day and includes menu items like three-cheese chicken with steamed broccoli, apple cinnamon oatmeal and white cheddar popcorn. A four-week Basic plan with auto-delivery costs $294.99. Customers can add shakes for an additional $79.98.
  • Basic Diabetes: Nutrisystem created its Basic Diabetes plan to help customers manage their glucose levels while losing weight. The Basic Diabetes plan includes menu items such as blueberry muffins, chicken noodle soup and white chocolate chunk cookies.
Nutrisystem Core
Nutrisystem Core comes with more variety and food options than the Basic plan. The first week comes with specially selected meals to jump-start weight loss and ease dieters into the plan. The Core plan also includes unlimited online support from counselors and dietitians. A four-week Core plan with auto-delivery costs $319.99, and probiotic shakes can be added for an additional fee.
  • Core Diabetes: The Core Diabetes plan offers Chef’s Choice Pack and unlimited customer support. With portion control, customers can enjoy whole-grain crackers and cheese, cheese tortellini and Santa Fe-style chicken on Nutrisystem’s Core Diabetes plan.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours
Uniquely Yours is similar to the Core and Basic plans but comes with even more menu options. A typical Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours day might include a cranberry orange muffin, mixed nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, a hamburger and side salad for lunch, roasted turkey and green beans for dinner and snacks throughout the day. Not including shakes, four weeks of auto-delivery costs $359.99.
  • Uniquely Yours Diabetes: With even more menu options created for those with Type 2 diabetes, dieters can manage their blood glucose levels and eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks. On the Uniquely Yours Diabetes, customers have the bonus of receiving unlimited frozen meals and snacks. Favorite menu items include apple slices dipped in peanut butter, ice cream sandwiches and broccoli and cheese melt with sliced vegetables.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours Plus
The Uniquely Yours Plus plan includes everything in the three previous plans and adds even more variety and high-protein shakes. On a typical day, you might have waffles and scrambled eggs with coffee for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a salad for lunch and a pizza with salad for dinner. Probiotic shakes, cheese puffs, popcorn and mixed nuts make for great snacks throughout the day, and you can even have a chocolate brownie sundae for an evening snack. At $399.99 per month with auto-delivery, it’s one of Nutrisystems best plans for those who crave variety.
Nutrisystem Vegetarian
Nutrisystem's vegetarian plan makes it easy for customers on plant-based diets to enjoy balanced and nutritional meals. Menu items include home-style pancakes and stuffed shells with sautéed spinach plus a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Four-week vegetarian plans with auto-delivery start at $359.99.

Compare Nutrisystem cost

Core$11.43
Uniquely Yours$12.86
Uniquely Yours Plus$14.29

Nutrisystem FAQ

How much weight can I lose on Nutrisystem?
Nutrisystem results vary, but you can lose up to 13 to 15 pounds in the first month and one to two pounds per week after.
Can you drink alcohol on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem dieters can enjoy alcohol in moderation — stick to drier wines and light beer. Customers should avoid mixed cocktails and alcoholic beverages high in sugar or fat.
Do you have to exercise on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem is designed to help dieters create healthy lifestyle habits and encourages 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week. Nutrisystem offers the My Daily 3 plan as part of the company’s eating schedule to help customers get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Are Nutrisystem meals frozen?
Sometimes. Nutrisystem uses a soft canning process to keep meals fresh and ready to eat without freezing. Only Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans have frozen menu items.
Does Nutrisystem food have preservatives?
Most Nutrisystem meals don’t have preservatives, though some include BHT, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate and sodium benzoate. More than 120 Nutrisystem foods don’t contain preservatives.
Can Nutrisystem plans be gluten-free?
No, Nutrisystem does not currently offer a gluten-free plan.
Does Nutrisystem have a vegetarian plan?
Yes, Nutrisystem has a vegetarian plan.
Does Nutrisystem offer diabetic options?
Yes, Nutrisystem offers diabetic options.
Does Nutrisystem use artificial sweeteners?
Yes, some Nutrisystem foods contain artificial sweeteners, most commonly sucralose. Some offered meals also include sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.
Does Nutrisystem food have a lot of sodium?
Not a lot. Most Nutrisystem plans are below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommended daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
What is the cost of Nutrisystem for one month?
The cost of Nutrisystem for one month ranges from $294.99 to $399.99 with auto-delivery.
What is Nutrisystem’s return policy?
Regular subscribers can request a return or refund within 30 days of their delivery. After 30 days, Nutrisystem provides a refund for unopened, non-frozen Nutrisystem foods. Customers can also request a full refund within 14 days of their first order, not including à la carte and weekly orders.

Does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem’s plans work for dieters who want to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise. You can choose from multiple plan options — Core and Basic plans are good for starting out, while the Uniquely Yours plans give dieters more variety and flexibility. All Nutrisystem plans deliver ready-to-go meals straight to your door to help manage short-term and long-term weight loss.

Nutrisystem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Heartless and cold!! My furnace broke so I have to cancel my auto delivery scheduled end of this month. Instead, I’m told I have to pay $125 cancellation fee. Never again I will renew my subscription...

Hello!

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry for your experience. If you would like us to review your account, please send us an email at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name, address, and phone number on your account. In the subject line of your email please indicate, "Consumer Affair Review." We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

I have used Nutrisystem in the past and lost some weight. I am hoping to lose some more and wanted to start back up. Went through the process of choosing a plan and selecting the meals. When I went to check out the total did not seem correct. We contacted a customer service rep and asked what exactly we were paying for. The website offered a special price if you paid for 3 'months'. They said it was only for 3 deliveries which would be 6 weeks. I pointed out to the customer service rep that it specifically said the price quoted was for 3 months (it showed this in 2 different places).

She agreed but could not authorize it and transferred me to a manager who said it was a typo on their website and they would not honor the price even though it was specifically listed that way on the site. I also questioned how they got the total I was quoted when it said it would be $12.14 a day for the 5 day a week plan. That pricing is for 7 days a week even though you only get food for 5 days. Based on their very deceptive and unethical pricing strategies I decided to go with a different company. Beware of their pricing plans.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so sorry to hear of any inconvenience that has occurred regarding signing up for a new meal plan.

Please send an email with your full name, phone number, and recent order number to consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. Be sure to reference this review as well.

We look forward to hearing from you so that we can come to a resolution!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

I know people are critical of Nutrisystem, but I was on it years ago and now again. I was a W.W. leader as well as participated in all the other healthy ways of eating. The food has gotten SO much better now that they have frozen foods. I don't know what people are talking about the processed foods; the flash freezing allows me to eat fresh mushrooms and BBQ pizza and other really good stuff. It's lower in salt than any frozen lunches at Walmart, plus fiber and protein. The biggest selling point is that my teenage son steals the meals; he loves them. I've lost 30 lbs so far. I've kept it off, eating my own stuff (again, I know how to eat), but after five kids and 20 years of parenting, I am SO cooking!!! With the prices these days, it's the same price as regular groceries.

Hi Johanna!

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience. If you ever have any questions about your program, please send us an email at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com or call us at 1-800-585-5483, option 2, to be connected to a Weight Loss Coach. We are here for you! Have a great day!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

I have been purchasing Nutrisystem over a year now. I haven’t lost anything, considering that I workout 3-5 times a week. Lately I switched to their Protein plan hoping it will improve my protein intake. But I haven’t lost any weight again. I’m counting my calories and macros. And most importantly my physician warned me about my high sugar level (pre-diabetic). I was so shocked because I don’t eat anything sweet out besides the Nutrisystem plan. I don’t have any sugar at home. Eating only their meals. Imagine my anger when I decided to take one of their meals apart, weight everything, and have discovered that red pepper chicken, that is 14 oz meal and promised 26 grams of protein, had ONLY 1.2 oz of chicken. The rest of the meal was pasta with veggies (mostly pasta). You cannot get 26 oz out of 1.2 oz of chicken!

No wonder I didn’t lose any weight. I was eating carb loaded meals instead of protein loaded. Also, my breakfast meal - turkey sandwich- was completely substituted by cinnamon rolls. I understand the shortage in the sandwich, but at least give me an option before you ship it, or replace it by a similar meal. So I paid such high price for this Protein Plan and got completely ripped off. I’m expecting my last delivery (missed date when I could cancel it) and after that I’m canceling the program. Such misleading information about meals nutritional facts is good for a lawsuit.

Hello Svetlana,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry that our program did you work as expected for you.

If you would like to discuss this matter further please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name and phone number connected. We look forward to hearing from you!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I was on Nutrisystem for a month. Food is mediocre and not tasty. Snacks are very sweet and are food I would never eat, like cupcakes. I lost 4 pounds in that month, and I didn't like eating six times a day. Once on their mailing list, I could not get off. They ignore the unsubscribe command. They changed me from an unhappy customer to a disgusted one. Do not try this system.

Nutrisystem response

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us.

We are sorry to hear about your experience and we're happy to look into this further for you.

Please send us an email at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com including the full name, email address, phone number and full shipping address associated with your account. Please also mention this review in the subject line and add a description of your complaint in the email body.

We look forward to helping!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I tried the Nutrisystem diet and so far after 3 weeks have lost about 3 ounces. I was a four can of soda per day and stopped which in itself should have dropped weight. NOPE. The food isn't bad and I count my calories every day but nothing. I exercise lightly since I am a senior citizen but still the weight won't come off. I have not cheated at all. I wonder if their food is low in calorie at all. Too expensive as well but I was desperate. Hopefully I can cancel. NOT worth the money and it is a lot of processed food.

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us.

We look forward to helping!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

A bunch of crooks!! DO NOT DO THIS DIET. BUYER BEWARE!!!! I did this in the past without any issues and lost a good bit of weight. I decided to give it another try, but apparently this time I got locked into some sort of fine print contract. Long story short I canceled after the 2nd month when I realized this diet was not going to work out for me. It took Nutrisystem 3 weeks to respond to my support request to cancel, I tried calling but no one ever picks up. They finally did a cancellation, gave me a number and everything, and what do they do, they auto draft $384.00 from my account. This was 2 weeks ago.

Now I have no food, no money to buy food & I am behind on my bills because of this stupid money hungry company. I have an open dispute with Paypal to try and get my money back but "seller has not responded". Nutrisystem is sure quick to take money from you but refuses to give it back, even when they put customers in difficult situations. In addition to the auto draft from my account and them not refunding me I was informed I also owed them $125.00 for a cancellation fee. I don't know how a company can get away with this, who just steals 384.00 from their customer then demands they pay them $125???? TOTAL SCAM!

The food is terrible anyway, they don't even send you enough for a 7 day week, you still have to go to the grocery store and buy filler food like veggies & other snacks. The NuMe App is horrid and crashes. You're basically paying for overpriced box meals. I am seriously considering filing a consumer protection lawsuit against this company. At the very least I will be writing reviews like this everywhere I can.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the plan and that additional funds were taken. We are happy to look into this for you.

Please send us an email to consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with your full name, phone number, and recent order number. We are happy to see how we can assist you and come up with a resolution in this matter.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I started the Nutrisystem diet over the weekend. I am taking in more fat, more calories, more cholesterol, more sodium, more carbs and less protein than the diet I was using before this. Plus, the food tastes of nothing, or worse! I workout 3 days per week, walk regularly and drink between 80 and 100 ounces of water per day. This diet is not a good one. I am following the plan and eating more food now that I had previously! The food tastes terrible!

Hello Al,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that you are not enjoying the plan. We appreciate the feedback.

Please remember that you can edit your orders to fit your likes and needs. If you need any assistance with this or anything else, you can call 1-800-585-5483, option 2, or send us an email at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com.

Have a great day!

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

After giving this a shot again after my first time was so successful, I was excited to try again. The food is just plain terrible now though. Overpriced. And the company's customer service department is non existent. You can't even cancel your membership yourself-- you have to be able to sit on the phone for hours or use the website chat and literally demand that these people stop charging your credit card. This has really become a scam. Hopefully today was the last time I have to ask them to cancel, not ever get a confirmation, then get charged again and sent another huge package of terrible food we won't eat. I will be putting a stop on my cards so they can't charge again in the future. Such a joke. Stay away!! You've been warned!!

Hello Melissa,

We are so sorry for your experience. We want to help! Please send us an email at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name, address, and phone number on your account. In the subject line of your email please indicate, "Consumer Affair Review." We are happy to double check your account has been cancelled successfully.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

- The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I appreciate the concept of portion control, promoting vegetables and hydration however their customer service is ridiculous. You cannot cancel online and hold times run nearly an hour. It has been hit or miss on the general attitude of the representative, some were quick and polite while others were blatantly disrespectful. I also made several attempts to modify my orders well within the time frame and they either never registered or they don’t care and just send what they have available. I have received two orders loaded the same items I specifically don’t want! Absolutely disappointing and waste of hundreds of dollars!

Hello Catherine,

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Nutrisystem Company Information