Find a Weight Loss Programs partner

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Nutrisystem

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Pros

• Meals shipped to your door
  • Vegetarian and diabetic options
  • Affordable

Cons

• No in-person support

Bottom Line

Nutrisystem delivers healthy meals with a detailed guide and diet plan to your door. Monthly plans don’t offer in-person support, but they do help dieters learn about balanced, portion-controlled eating habits.

Top Nutrisystem Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been using Nutrisystem for almost a year and I am very pleased with the food and the results. My food always arrives fast and tastes amazing… Nutrisystem is flexible and of...

Verified

Just want to say thanks. I've sent several emails to counseling support in the few days that I've been on the plan and they are so helpful and encouraging... I like the emails as ...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Nutrisystem?

Nutrisystem is a weight loss and nutrition company for people who want to manage their weight, eat healthily and create new diet habits. Nutrisystem offers monthly meal plans and à la carte items, and it sells products on the company's website and through authorized retailers and distributors.

Nutrisystem offers four primary plans — Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus — and has vegetarian and diabetic options available. Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans include unlimited frozen meals and snacks, and flex meals allow customers the opportunity to cook balanced meals at home or eat at restaurants. Customers have the option of getting handpicked meals with the Chef’s Choice menu or individually picking their meals at sign-up. Nutrisystem sells plans directly on its website.

How does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem dieters eat every two to three hours, up to six times per day. A printed meal plan is included in the first shipment to make it easy for dieters to follow their Nutrisystem plan from the start. Depending on the plan, meal and snack items include options such as buttermilk waffles, mac and cheese, grilled chicken sandwiches and chocolate-covered pretzels.

Meal deliveries are made every four to 10 days. Frozen meals are shipped in frozen storage trucks and packed in dry ice that keeps them frozen for up to eight hours after delivery. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is free order tracking, which makes it easy to manage and adjust your meals.

Nutrisystem plans

Nutrisystem Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours, Uniquely Yours Plus and Vegetarian plans can be customized for male or female dieters, and the company has diabetic options. Nutrisystem’s website lists a comprehensive nutritional breakdown of all menu items on each plan.

Nutrisystem Basic
Choose your meals or go with the Chef’s Choice, a preset menu of popular foods. A typical eating schedule on Nutrisystem includes three meals and three snacks per day and includes menu items like three-cheese chicken with steamed broccoli, apple cinnamon oatmeal and white cheddar popcorn. A four-week Basic plan with auto-delivery costs $294.99. Customers can add shakes for an additional $79.98.
  • Basic Diabetes: Nutrisystem created its Basic Diabetes plan to help customers manage their glucose levels while losing weight. The Basic Diabetes plan includes menu items such as blueberry muffins, chicken noodle soup and white chocolate chunk cookies.
Nutrisystem Core
Nutrisystem Core comes with more variety and food options than the Basic plan. The first week comes with specially selected meals to jump-start weight loss and ease dieters into the plan. The Core plan also includes unlimited online support from counselors and dietitians. A four-week Core plan with auto-delivery costs $319.99, and probiotic shakes can be added for an additional fee.
  • Core Diabetes: The Core Diabetes plan offers Chef’s Choice Pack and unlimited customer support. With portion control, customers can enjoy whole-grain crackers and cheese, cheese tortellini and Santa Fe-style chicken on Nutrisystem’s Core Diabetes plan.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours
Uniquely Yours is similar to the Core and Basic plans but comes with even more menu options. A typical Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours day might include a cranberry orange muffin, mixed nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, a hamburger and side salad for lunch, roasted turkey and green beans for dinner and snacks throughout the day. Not including shakes, four weeks of auto-delivery costs $359.99.
  • Uniquely Yours Diabetes: With even more menu options created for those with Type 2 diabetes, dieters can manage their blood glucose levels and eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks. On the Uniquely Yours Diabetes, customers have the bonus of receiving unlimited frozen meals and snacks. Favorite menu items include apple slices dipped in peanut butter, ice cream sandwiches and broccoli and cheese melt with sliced vegetables.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours Plus
The Uniquely Yours Plus plan includes everything in the three previous plans and adds even more variety and high-protein shakes. On a typical day, you might have waffles and scrambled eggs with coffee for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a salad for lunch and a pizza with salad for dinner. Probiotic shakes, cheese puffs, popcorn and mixed nuts make for great snacks throughout the day, and you can even have a chocolate brownie sundae for an evening snack. At $399.99 per month with auto-delivery, it’s one of Nutrisystems best plans for those who crave variety.
Nutrisystem Vegetarian
Nutrisystem's vegetarian plan makes it easy for customers on plant-based diets to enjoy balanced and nutritional meals. Menu items include home-style pancakes and stuffed shells with sautéed spinach plus a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Four-week vegetarian plans with auto-delivery start at $359.99.

Compare Nutrisystem cost

Core$11.43
Uniquely Yours$12.86
Uniquely Yours Plus$14.29

Nutrisystem FAQ

How much weight can I lose on Nutrisystem?
Nutrisystem results vary, but you can lose up to 13 to 15 pounds in the first month and one to two pounds per week after.
Can you drink alcohol on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem dieters can enjoy alcohol in moderation — stick to drier wines and light beer. Customers should avoid mixed cocktails and alcoholic beverages high in sugar or fat.
Do you have to exercise on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem is designed to help dieters create healthy lifestyle habits and encourages 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week. Nutrisystem offers the My Daily 3 plan as part of the company’s eating schedule to help customers get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Are Nutrisystem meals frozen?
Sometimes. Nutrisystem uses a soft canning process to keep meals fresh and ready to eat without freezing. Only Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans have frozen menu items.
Does Nutrisystem food have preservatives?
Most Nutrisystem meals don’t have preservatives, though some include BHT, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate and sodium benzoate. More than 120 Nutrisystem foods don’t contain preservatives.
Can Nutrisystem plans be gluten-free?
No, Nutrisystem does not currently offer a gluten-free plan.
Does Nutrisystem have a vegetarian plan?
Yes, Nutrisystem has a vegetarian plan.
Does Nutrisystem offer diabetic options?
Yes, Nutrisystem offers diabetic options.
Does Nutrisystem use artificial sweeteners?
Yes, some Nutrisystem foods contain artificial sweeteners, most commonly sucralose. Some offered meals also include sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.
Does Nutrisystem food have a lot of sodium?
Not a lot. Most Nutrisystem plans are below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommended daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
What is the cost of Nutrisystem for one month?
The cost of Nutrisystem for one month ranges from $294.99 to $399.99 with auto-delivery.
What is Nutrisystem’s return policy?
Regular subscribers can request a return or refund within 30 days of their delivery. After 30 days, Nutrisystem provides a refund for unopened, non-frozen Nutrisystem foods. Customers can also request a full refund within 14 days of their first order, not including à la carte and weekly orders.

Does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem’s plans work for dieters who want to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise. You can choose from multiple plan options — Core and Basic plans are good for starting out, while the Uniquely Yours plans give dieters more variety and flexibility. All Nutrisystem plans deliver ready-to-go meals straight to your door to help manage short-term and long-term weight loss.

Nutrisystem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Is very excellent. I Think is time to be careful for our body because we have to Love. Make exercise is good for us. Keep cálm and enjoy your live because is very pretty. If you Love your life please do exercise.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Rolando! Thank you for your review. This is so true especially these days. We hope that your plan is going well. Please do let us know if there is anything we can ever help you with. Please feel free to email us any time at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. Please include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue or concern. We look forward to hearing from you. ~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Well by following the program made up for that person they can learn how to eat, what to eat, and how much... see we can eat any food we want, as long as you do the necessary work to counteract that food. Like ice cream, pizza etc, if these foods weigh down on your thighs, then do some squats, to counteract what that food will do so it won't show and you won't have to care.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Courtney! Thank you for your review. We want to help you succeed with our weight loss plan. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you. ~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Really good to lose weight. I lost 20 pounds in a month but the meals will be plain and you will probably be eating the exact same thing everyday and make sure not to cheat cause this diet is strict. Good weight loss.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Lazaro! Thank you for your review. Congratulations on your weight loss! We want you to be happy with the our food and choose the meals that you like the best. You can choose any meals you like. Please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you. ~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Nutrisystem's system, systems sound so regimented. Nutrisystem blended into the day. And when people tell you the food tastes great, they aren't actors. My boyfriend was on it before. He lost 40 pounds. Said that there was plenty for him to eat. When I looked at all the packages I thought "I'm going to starve". I am very happy with Nutrisystem's system!

Hello Colleen

Thank you for reaching out to us with your review. We appreciate your feedback about the program and sorry to hear that you are unhappy. For us to better assist you, please email us directly at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. You can list a brief description of your concern as you did here. We look forward to addressing your concerns.

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Lost ten pounds the first week, 10 pounds over the next 3 weeks and then got stuck halfway to my goal weight. Once I figured out which food I liked, I was able to eat more of what I liked the second month. It's super convenient to have all the meals ready to heat up and eat, the orders were very close to being right every time. I almost didn't my frozen order in time the second month. The system of tracking food and activity is well laid out and easy to understand, as was the whole program. I had a hard time eating all the extra PFs, SCs and Veggies and contacted a counselor. =-( All she said was to cut a morning protein shake in half, it was too many calories, and eat the smaller portions of SCs and PFs... I already couldn't fit all the food in my day and she told me to space out my meals. Mixed feelings about the program. I'd say it's worth a try.

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your review. If you still need help with your meal plan and progress on the plan, please email us at counselingsupport@nutrisystem.com or you can reach a Weight Loss Counselor at 1-800-585-5483, option 2, or through our Live Chat service at www.nutrisystem.com. We are here for you! Have a great day and thanks for choosing Nutrisystem!

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

The cost wasn’t too bad. Ranging from $200-400 per month, that’s every meal except 1 per week. The cheapest plan meals are the worst tasting food. I quickly moved to the frozen plan. Most of the food was nasty, too spicy or just over processed. I lost 25 lbs. but I had lots of cravings. My craving for sugar was the highest. I realized that was because most of the breakfast foods are high in sugar. I learned for me, sugar first thing in the morning keeps my sugar craving high all day. I remained hungry the whole time on the plan.

Hello Cindy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very sorry to hear of your experience on our plan and that you did not enjoy our meals offered. To better assist you, please feel free to email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the name, phone number and email address on your account, with a description of your issue. Have a wonderful day!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Yes, I did research before spending $300+ on this plan. Maybe I was too willing to believe the hype. Reality was nothing like the sales pitches. I wanted a healthy way to stay out of the grocery store. I received 2 boxes, one w/ frozen food and another w/ dry goods. The frozen food looked like it lost a fight. The dry goods were canned meals, and different shake packs. Lots of written instructions but a jigsaw of stuff. I was committed so I ate products I would never buy. Not all bad but not enough good to go thru this experience again. I did lose 5 pounds….so disappointed.

Hello Terri,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very sorry to hear of your experience on our plan and that you did not enjoy our meals offered. To better assist you, please feel free to email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the name, phone number and email address on your account, with a description of your issue. We hope to hear from you soon! -The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Please do not waste your time or money on Nutrisystem...The Fast 5 program is a joke. Following it to the letter and did not lose close to 5 pounds. This is fine if you are an obese person, if you have 10 pounds to lose, it will not work! The foods are horrible, unappetizing, and well beyond their shelf life. In the beginning, things seem OK....You are going along and doing a good job...As the week ends, you are tired, frustrated and sick of the gas and abdominal distention, never mind the debilitating constipation. Please note: I have nothing to gain or lose writing this...I honestly hope to make others aware of the consequences...Besides the fact I purchased from HSN and was responsible for $20 to return. do yourself a favor, if you have a few pounds to lose, put your big girl panties on and do it yourself. There's plenty of low calorie foods out there that are fresh, affordable and appetizing!!!!

Hi Deborah,

We thank you for reaching out to with your review. We are so sorry to hear of your experience with our plan. So that we can better assist you with this, please email us directly at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you. ~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

The customer service at Nutrisystem is AWFUL these people are so smug and arrogant. I never have a pleasant conversation with any of them. They advertise plans on the website at a lower price than when you log into your account that same plan is twice the price. Each time I call, they do a bait and switch. I am amazed at how gullible they think consumers are. I spoke to Kaylee (counselor) she was rude, then I spoke to Renton (sales person) who was smug and arrogant, typical. When customers inquire about the price discrepancy, stop the bait and switch, as we are savvier than that. Advertise the actual price. I expected more from a national firm.

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear about your experience. We will be happy to review your account. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

~ The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Big scam. There is no money-back guarantee. The only guarantee is if you don't like the food you have to return it in 10 days. No coaching.... tried to talk to someone and tried chat. Said 3 hours plus wait time. No one ever gets back to you. Food was delayed each time for over a week so I had to eat regular food, did not get my shaker or shakes. Worst waste of money ever.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Julia. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your progress on our plan. We offer Coaching 7 days per week via phone, chat or email. Our hours are Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST and Saturday & Sunday 9am-5:30pm EST. Any further questions or concerns, please feel free to email us at consumerexperience@nutrisytsem.com We hope you have a great day! -The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Nutrisystem Company Information