3.9/5 (3787 ratings)

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Nutrisystem

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Pros

• Meals shipped to your door
  • Vegetarian and diabetic options
  • Affordable

Cons

• No in-person support

Bottom Line

Nutrisystem delivers healthy meals with a detailed guide and diet plan to your door. Monthly plans don’t offer in-person support, but they do help dieters learn about balanced, portion-controlled eating habits.

Top Nutrisystem Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been using Nutrisystem for almost a year and I am very pleased with the food and the results. My food always arrives fast and tastes amazing… Nutrisystem is flexible and of...

Verified

Just want to say thanks. I've sent several emails to counseling support in the few days that I've been on the plan and they are so helpful and encouraging... I like the emails as ...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Nutrisystem?

Nutrisystem is a weight loss and nutrition company for people who want to manage their weight, eat healthily and create new diet habits. Nutrisystem offers monthly meal plans and à la carte items, and it sells products on the company's website and through authorized retailers and distributors.

Nutrisystem offers four primary plans — Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus — and has vegetarian and diabetic options available. Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans include unlimited frozen meals and snacks, and flex meals allow customers the opportunity to cook balanced meals at home or eat at restaurants. Customers have the option of getting handpicked meals with the Chef’s Choice menu or individually picking their meals at sign-up. Nutrisystem sells plans directly on its website.

How does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem dieters eat every two to three hours, up to six times per day. A printed meal plan is included in the first shipment to make it easy for dieters to follow their Nutrisystem plan from the start. Depending on the plan, meal and snack items include options such as buttermilk waffles, mac and cheese, grilled chicken sandwiches and chocolate-covered pretzels.

Meal deliveries are made every four to 10 days. Frozen meals are shipped in frozen storage trucks and packed in dry ice that keeps them frozen for up to eight hours after delivery. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is free order tracking, which makes it easy to manage and adjust your meals.

Nutrisystem plans

Nutrisystem Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours, Uniquely Yours Plus and Vegetarian plans can be customized for male or female dieters, and the company has diabetic options. Nutrisystem’s website lists a comprehensive nutritional breakdown of all menu items on each plan.

Nutrisystem Basic
Choose your meals or go with the Chef’s Choice, a preset menu of popular foods. A typical eating schedule on Nutrisystem includes three meals and three snacks per day and includes menu items like three-cheese chicken with steamed broccoli, apple cinnamon oatmeal and white cheddar popcorn. A four-week Basic plan with auto-delivery costs $294.99. Customers can add shakes for an additional $79.98.
  • Basic Diabetes: Nutrisystem created its Basic Diabetes plan to help customers manage their glucose levels while losing weight. The Basic Diabetes plan includes menu items such as blueberry muffins, chicken noodle soup and white chocolate chunk cookies.
Nutrisystem Core
Nutrisystem Core comes with more variety and food options than the Basic plan. The first week comes with specially selected meals to jump-start weight loss and ease dieters into the plan. The Core plan also includes unlimited online support from counselors and dietitians. A four-week Core plan with auto-delivery costs $319.99, and probiotic shakes can be added for an additional fee.
  • Core Diabetes: The Core Diabetes plan offers Chef’s Choice Pack and unlimited customer support. With portion control, customers can enjoy whole-grain crackers and cheese, cheese tortellini and Santa Fe-style chicken on Nutrisystem’s Core Diabetes plan.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours
Uniquely Yours is similar to the Core and Basic plans but comes with even more menu options. A typical Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours day might include a cranberry orange muffin, mixed nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, a hamburger and side salad for lunch, roasted turkey and green beans for dinner and snacks throughout the day. Not including shakes, four weeks of auto-delivery costs $359.99.
  • Uniquely Yours Diabetes: With even more menu options created for those with Type 2 diabetes, dieters can manage their blood glucose levels and eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks. On the Uniquely Yours Diabetes, customers have the bonus of receiving unlimited frozen meals and snacks. Favorite menu items include apple slices dipped in peanut butter, ice cream sandwiches and broccoli and cheese melt with sliced vegetables.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours Plus
The Uniquely Yours Plus plan includes everything in the three previous plans and adds even more variety and high-protein shakes. On a typical day, you might have waffles and scrambled eggs with coffee for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a salad for lunch and a pizza with salad for dinner. Probiotic shakes, cheese puffs, popcorn and mixed nuts make for great snacks throughout the day, and you can even have a chocolate brownie sundae for an evening snack. At $399.99 per month with auto-delivery, it’s one of Nutrisystems best plans for those who crave variety.
Nutrisystem Vegetarian
Nutrisystem's vegetarian plan makes it easy for customers on plant-based diets to enjoy balanced and nutritional meals. Menu items include home-style pancakes and stuffed shells with sautéed spinach plus a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Four-week vegetarian plans with auto-delivery start at $359.99.

Compare Nutrisystem cost

Core$11.43
Uniquely Yours$12.86
Uniquely Yours Plus$14.29

Nutrisystem FAQ

How much weight can I lose on Nutrisystem?
Nutrisystem results vary, but you can lose up to 13 to 15 pounds in the first month and one to two pounds per week after.
Can you drink alcohol on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem dieters can enjoy alcohol in moderation — stick to drier wines and light beer. Customers should avoid mixed cocktails and alcoholic beverages high in sugar or fat.
Do you have to exercise on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem is designed to help dieters create healthy lifestyle habits and encourages 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week. Nutrisystem offers the My Daily 3 plan as part of the company’s eating schedule to help customers get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Are Nutrisystem meals frozen?
Sometimes. Nutrisystem uses a soft canning process to keep meals fresh and ready to eat without freezing. Only Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans have frozen menu items.
Does Nutrisystem food have preservatives?
Most Nutrisystem meals don’t have preservatives, though some include BHT, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate and sodium benzoate. More than 120 Nutrisystem foods don’t contain preservatives.
Can Nutrisystem plans be gluten-free?
No, Nutrisystem does not currently offer a gluten-free plan.
Does Nutrisystem have a vegetarian plan?
Yes, Nutrisystem has a vegetarian plan.
Does Nutrisystem offer diabetic options?
Yes, Nutrisystem offers diabetic options.
Does Nutrisystem use artificial sweeteners?
Yes, some Nutrisystem foods contain artificial sweeteners, most commonly sucralose. Some offered meals also include sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.
Does Nutrisystem food have a lot of sodium?
Not a lot. Most Nutrisystem plans are below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommended daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
What is the cost of Nutrisystem for one month?
The cost of Nutrisystem for one month ranges from $294.99 to $399.99 with auto-delivery.
What is Nutrisystem’s return policy?
Regular subscribers can request a return or refund within 30 days of their delivery. After 30 days, Nutrisystem provides a refund for unopened, non-frozen Nutrisystem foods. Customers can also request a full refund within 14 days of their first order, not including à la carte and weekly orders.

Does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem’s plans work for dieters who want to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise. You can choose from multiple plan options — Core and Basic plans are good for starting out, while the Uniquely Yours plans give dieters more variety and flexibility. All Nutrisystem plans deliver ready-to-go meals straight to your door to help manage short-term and long-term weight loss.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: June 6, 2022

Food is good and I saw good results. However, their customer service and shipping is terrible. Frozen food takes very long to arrive, generally you don't receive it until after you've already run out of food. When I called customer service to complain, their response was to move up the shipping date for the next month, which I did. Then the next month even with 5 extra days of a moved up shipping date, the frozen food was riddled with delays. They said it shipped on Wednesday, yet 5 days later, on Monday, when I contacted FedEx I was told the box was still at the Nutrisystem warehouse and only a label had been created. You'd think a company whose ONLY job is to ship items would know how to properly ship items in a timely manner, but no. Incompetent.

Hello Jakob,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry for the delays in your orders. We would be happy to take a look and see how we can help. Will you please send us an email to consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name and phone number on your account. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: May 7, 2022

YOU NEVER GET ALL THE FROZEN FOOD YOU ORDERED: I purchased the most expensive Nutrisystem Plan, all meals + snacks. I carefully selected the meals I wanted--almost all of my selections are frozen. Most of the ready-to-serve meals and snacks taste pretty bad--with the exception of their bars and shakes. I was excited to receive my shipment, but when it arrived, almost everything I received was not in my order. I was furious. Why did Nutrisystem totally disregard my food choices? Because they are more interested in profits than satisfying their customers (fulfilling frozen selections). I called and complained, and they will send me replacement meals and snacks; however, none of the options they offered are frozen. I am giving Nutrisystem one more chance to get it right, and if they don't fulfill my next order as selected, I am going to cancel their service and file a complaint with the California State A.G.s office.

Hello Abbe,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry for your experience. We want to help!

Please reach us via Live Chat under "Contact Us" from our website at www.nutrisystem.com. You can also email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

~ The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Prepaid for a 2-month food service on 4/18/22. Non-frozen food shipped 4/19/22 and I received the order 4/21/22. HOWEVER, half of my order was frozen. Obviously I cannot start the program without ALL of the food. Called Nutrisystem - only to in a recording loop without anyone answering my call. Stayed on the phone & noted my concerns via their chat system, only to get a Rep telling me I would get an email when the order ships. WHY DON'T THEY SHIP ALL THE FOOD AT THE SAME TIME? She had no idea when it would ship and as today is Friday, I will not get the rest of the order until next week (at the earliest). I pre-paid $611.00! I would not recommend this service - they do not care about the customer. I cannot note if the program works because I cannot even get the food!

Hello!

We sincerely apologize for any frustrations caused by our shipping/processing timeframe of 1-10 business days. We appreciate your patience and understanding. We do our best to ship frozen and non-frozen orders at the same time, but because these orders depart from different warehouses, it is not always possible to process orders in the same amount of time due to varying demands.

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: April 11, 2022

I order a “month” of meals in order to try Nutrisystem out and see if it would be something I would want to do long term. I was surprised to find out that you have to buy as much outside of what they give you as you do for what is included. Meaning, each daily meal plan consists of 3 items of food and two snacks. But in order to get the nutrients you need you must additionally add proteins and veggies to each meal. (I thought this was going to be a complete meal plan with all you need, very much the opposite) daily it had me on 1500 calories, Nutrisystem provided about 700-800 daily. So about half of what I was expecting. In addition to that, a couple weeks in I get a message saying they’re sending me another order… What???

I never asked for another order. I tried to contact them online and over the phone. Phone hold times were always 20-30 minutes before I gave up. Somehow they put me on some sort of renewal thing and charged my credit card again. Looking through their reviews this seems to be a pretty common occurrence. Very unethical. And they are saying you have to get at least two months of meals if you want to cancel… they do NOT alert you cancel on your account. And don’t answer a phone call to boot. A good amount of the food tasted surprisingly good (the cooked items. The rest is just ok and is very cheap to get the same quality for far less at the local grocery store). I had high hopes but the unethical renewals and charges on your credit card make everything a major negative.

Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We disclose on our website that there is a two shipment requirement to receive the auto-delivery discount. To better assist you please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue described here and reference this review. We look forward to hearing from you!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: April 5, 2022

Crap! Sodium-based nondigestible fake “food”! My body has never felt worst... Drink tons of water and I can’t have a bowel movement!!! STAY AWAY! Eat healthy... not This crap! Exercise and eat healthy!

Nutrisystem response

Hi Lulubug. We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the foods we offer. We realize that we're not able to satisfy everyone's tastes, but we sure do try! If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us via email at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com, with your name and issue as the subject. Have a great day!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: April 4, 2022

Save money and enjoy your weight loss food more by just going to the store and buying a bunch of Lean Cuisines or even the generic versions of them. Yes, I tried Nutrisystem. Everything I ordered, except for a few things, tasted like crap to me. Also, some of the items had torn open wrappers. They did replace those items quickly though, but who wants to go through that? Signed up for 2 month supply. They did refund my 2nd month expense. Couldn't imagine eating another month of that stuff. Looks inviting as shown on TV, but actually looks nothing like that. Of course, everything is advertised that way. Exception: Olive Garden (I love). As good as advertised, though certainly not diet food.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Robert. Thank you for your feedback. We realize that we're not able to satisfy everyone's tastes, but we do our best to have a variety of foods to choose from. We wish you the best in your weight loss journey!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: March 28, 2022

I received my first month's food and found it tasteless and some of the items extremely over-salted. I have called repeatedly to try and cancel and each time waited over 45 minutes for service, finally hanging up. I am currently calling and have been waiting 50 minutes. Very dissatisfied.

Nutrisystem response

Hi Janet. We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the food and have been having trouble reaching us. We realize that we're not able to satisfy everyone's tastes, but we sure do try! If you have still been unable to reach anyone regarding your account cancellation, please reply to this comment and we will be happy to help! Have a great day, Janet!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: March 20, 2022

Food is ok. What you can expect for a diet product. Second time I have tried it and food is actually better this time. To my surprise a second month was shipped to me and charged to my CC. I used this for a one month kick off for my diet not to keep getting it at over $325 a month. I called to ship back and no longer had the super sweet people when I was trying to buy my first month rather the legal type rude people. I asked where this 2 month minimum info was and was told it was in the Faq section which I regularly don't read unless I have questions. No way to fix this?? I told them I was shipping it back and they just got rude. Will never try again and plan to let as many people know as I can.

Hello John,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience regarding our auto-delivery policy. We would like to help you with this. Please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with your full name and email address so we can better assist you. Be sure to include details about your experience in your email.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: March 11, 2022

Money back guarantee not good for frozen items or for 2nd month if you get the 50% off deal. Very expensive then have to spend much more to stay on plan. Lost NO weight though did as instructed. Got VERY constipated on this diet.

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

You have the option to take advantage of the Money Back Guarantee if you cancel within 14 days after you receive your first shipment. We apologize if this was unclear. If there is anything you'd like for us to look into them feel free to send an email to consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com referencing your review.

Have a great day!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I ordered Nutrisystem first week in January. Just got my frozen food. All the food inside the cooler was moldy and some of the packages were open. I wish I can attach pictures. It’s disgusting and I had to wear gloves to be able to put in a garbage

Hello Zoia,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear about your experience. We want to help you with this. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include the full name and phone number on your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

~ The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team