ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.86/5

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Discover what America’s #1 Home Delivery Weight Loss Program can do for you—a happier, healthier you is just a call or click away.

Nutrisystem Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Nutrisystem delivers healthy meals with a detailed guide and diet plan to your door. Monthly plans don’t offer in-person support, but they do help dieters learn about balanced, portion-controlled eating habits.

PROS

• Meals shipped to your door
  • Vegetarian and diabetic options
  • Affordable

CONS

• No in-person support

Top Nutrisystem Reviews

I have been using Nutrisystem for almost a year and I am very pleased with the food and the results. My food always arrives fast and tastes amazing… Nutrisystem is flexible and offers me the convenience I need.

Just want to say thanks. I've sent several emails to counseling support in the few days that I've been on the plan and they are so helpful and encouraging... I like the emails as this way I can save for reference. Thanks Nutrisystem!

What is Nutrisystem?

Nutrisystem is a weight loss and nutrition company for people who want to manage their weight, eat healthily and create new diet habits. Nutrisystem offers monthly meal plans and à la carte items, and it sells products on the company's website and through authorized retailers and distributors.

Nutrisystem offers four primary plans — Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus — and has vegetarian and diabetic options available. Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans include unlimited frozen meals and snacks, and flex meals allow customers the opportunity to cook balanced meals at home or eat at restaurants. Customers have the option of getting handpicked meals with the Chef’s Choice menu or individually picking their meals at sign-up. Nutrisystem sells plans directly on its website.

How does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem dieters eat every two to three hours, up to six times per day. A printed meal plan is included in the first shipment to make it easy for dieters to follow their Nutrisystem plan from the start. Depending on the plan, meal and snack items include options such as buttermilk waffles, mac and cheese, grilled chicken sandwiches and chocolate-covered pretzels.

Meal deliveries are made every four to 10 days. Frozen meals are shipped in frozen storage trucks and packed in dry ice that keeps them frozen for up to eight hours after delivery. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is free order tracking, which makes it easy to manage and adjust your meals.

Nutrisystem plans

Nutrisystem Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours, Uniquely Yours Plus and Vegetarian plans can be customized for male or female dieters, and the company has diabetic options. Nutrisystem’s website lists a comprehensive nutritional breakdown of all menu items on each plan.

Nutrisystem Basic
Choose your meals or go with the Chef’s Choice, a preset menu of popular foods. A typical eating schedule on Nutrisystem includes three meals and three snacks per day and includes menu items like three-cheese chicken with steamed broccoli, apple cinnamon oatmeal and white cheddar popcorn. A four-week Basic plan with auto-delivery costs $294.99. Customers can add shakes for an additional $79.98.
  • Basic Diabetes: Nutrisystem created its Basic Diabetes plan to help customers manage their glucose levels while losing weight. The Basic Diabetes plan includes menu items such as blueberry muffins, chicken noodle soup and white chocolate chunk cookies.
Nutrisystem Core
Nutrisystem Core comes with more variety and food options than the Basic plan. The first week comes with specially selected meals to jump-start weight loss and ease dieters into the plan. The Core plan also includes unlimited online support from counselors and dietitians. A four-week Core plan with auto-delivery costs $319.99, and probiotic shakes can be added for an additional fee.
  • Core Diabetes: The Core Diabetes plan offers Chef’s Choice Pack and unlimited customer support. With portion control, customers can enjoy whole-grain crackers and cheese, cheese tortellini and Santa Fe-style chicken on Nutrisystem’s Core Diabetes plan.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours
Uniquely Yours is similar to the Core and Basic plans but comes with even more menu options. A typical Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours day might include a cranberry orange muffin, mixed nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, a hamburger and side salad for lunch, roasted turkey and green beans for dinner and snacks throughout the day. Not including shakes, four weeks of auto-delivery costs $359.99.
  • Uniquely Yours Diabetes: With even more menu options created for those with Type 2 diabetes, dieters can manage their blood glucose levels and eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks. On the Uniquely Yours Diabetes, customers have the bonus of receiving unlimited frozen meals and snacks. Favorite menu items include apple slices dipped in peanut butter, ice cream sandwiches and broccoli and cheese melt with sliced vegetables.
Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours Plus
The Uniquely Yours Plus plan includes everything in the three previous plans and adds even more variety and high-protein shakes. On a typical day, you might have waffles and scrambled eggs with coffee for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a salad for lunch and a pizza with salad for dinner. Probiotic shakes, cheese puffs, popcorn and mixed nuts make for great snacks throughout the day, and you can even have a chocolate brownie sundae for an evening snack. At $399.99 per month with auto-delivery, it’s one of Nutrisystems best plans for those who crave variety.
Nutrisystem Vegetarian
Nutrisystem's vegetarian plan makes it easy for customers on plant-based diets to enjoy balanced and nutritional meals. Menu items include home-style pancakes and stuffed shells with sautéed spinach plus a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Four-week vegetarian plans with auto-delivery start at $359.99.

Compare Nutrisystem cost

Core$11.43
Uniquely Yours$12.86
Uniquely Yours Plus$14.29

Nutrisystem FAQ

How much weight can I lose on Nutrisystem?
Nutrisystem results vary, but you can lose up to 13 to 15 pounds in the first month and one to two pounds per week after.
Can you drink alcohol on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem dieters can enjoy alcohol in moderation — stick to drier wines and light beer. Customers should avoid mixed cocktails and alcoholic beverages high in sugar or fat.
Do you have to exercise on Nutrisystem?
Yes. Nutrisystem is designed to help dieters create healthy lifestyle habits and encourages 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week. Nutrisystem offers the My Daily 3 plan as part of the company’s eating schedule to help customers get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Are Nutrisystem meals frozen?
Sometimes. Nutrisystem uses a soft canning process to keep meals fresh and ready to eat without freezing. Only Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans have frozen menu items.
Does Nutrisystem food have preservatives?
Most Nutrisystem meals don’t have preservatives, though some include BHT, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate and sodium benzoate. More than 120 Nutrisystem foods don’t contain preservatives.
Can Nutrisystem plans be gluten-free?
No, Nutrisystem does not currently offer a gluten-free plan.
Does Nutrisystem have a vegetarian plan?
Yes, Nutrisystem has a vegetarian plan.
Does Nutrisystem offer diabetic options?
Yes, Nutrisystem offers diabetic options.
Does Nutrisystem use artificial sweeteners?
Yes, some Nutrisystem foods contain artificial sweeteners, most commonly sucralose. Some offered meals also include sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.
Does Nutrisystem food have a lot of sodium?
Not a lot. Most Nutrisystem plans are below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommended daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
What is the cost of Nutrisystem for one month?
The cost of Nutrisystem for one month ranges from $294.99 to $399.99 with auto-delivery.
What is Nutrisystem’s return policy?
Regular subscribers can request a return or refund within 30 days of their delivery. After 30 days, Nutrisystem provides a refund for unopened, non-frozen Nutrisystem foods. Customers can also request a full refund within 14 days of their first order, not including à la carte and weekly orders.

Does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem’s plans work for dieters who want to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise. You can choose from multiple plan options — Core and Basic plans are good for starting out, while the Uniquely Yours plans give dieters more variety and flexibility. All Nutrisystem plans deliver ready-to-go meals straight to your door to help manage short-term and long-term weight loss.

Nutrisystem Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

To be completely honest I was very disappointed with the first weeks loss. It was only 1.2lbs but after 25 days I have lost over 8.5 lbs. I feel that this is the perfect rate of weight loss. I have tried many programs before: Weight Watchers, HCG, Beverly Hills Diet and Eating only once a day. This program is by far the easiest and most realistic one to follow. My only complaint is the repetitiveness of my food choices. I live in Canada and as a result my options are much more limited. I can't have any of the frozen foods and some of them look so delicious.

Hi Tracey,

Thank you for reaching out with your review. We are so happy to hear how much success you are having on the plan so far! We appreciate your feedback on the food choices for our Canadians clients and will be sure to pass on your concerns.

Please keep us posted on your continued success! Hope you have a happy and healthy new year.

The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Information provided was limited and not very helpful. Emailed me the information guide that was missing from my package and didn’t feel like addressing some of my concerns. Having never dieted before I would have preferred some information in my conversation instead of downloading a large number of pages off my printer because it was missing from my order. So far this is the first person that was not very helpful.

Hello Bonnie,

I am a member of the Consumer Experience Team. Thank you for writing your review about your experience. I understand why you would feel fristrated and look forward to helping.

I will be looking into your account and reaching out with more details on your concerns.

I hope you have a great day, Bonnie!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I am currently subscribed to the Uniquely Yours Nutrisystem (NS) plan. This is my second "real" experience with NS as I used their old 28 day Flex plan about 10 years ago and lost 64 pounds in about 8 months. Unfortunately, I slipped back into my old bad habits and since no other diet (Keto, Atkins, low-cal) worked for me, I came back to NS. The food has greatly improved over the last 10 years! I am absolutely loving everything about NS this time around. The NuMi app makes it so easy to track everything no matter where I am and it syncs with my Fitbit tracker so I don't even have to bother with inputting my activity.

On another note, I'm not sure why people are having issues with the ordering system on the website because it's really easy to use and I have never had a problem with it (even back in the old days). It wouldn't let me remove the shakes (functionality is not available), so I called and the rep removed them immediately. The shakes are delicious but the two cans are impossible to get through in one month even though I drink one a day for my morning snack so I have plenty saved up. As I said before, the food is great! There are quite a few old foods that I already knew I didn't like so I make sure not to select those, but the majority of the food is really tasty.

I am amazed by the updated frozen pizzas too. They used to greatly lack in toppings and now they're piled on. The "melts" which I like to refer to as "Nutri-pockets" are so so good and super easy. I could go on and on... I've been back with it for exactly two months and have lost 20 pounds. I'm extremely happy with Nutrisystem and would recommend it to anyone.

Hi Andrea,

Welcome back to the program! Thank you for reaching out with your review. We are so happy to hear how much you are enjoying the program. We appreciate you taking the time to let us how about your success and how easy you are finding the new plan.

Please keep us posted on your continued success. Hope you have a great day and congrats on your weight loss.

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: June 2, 2019

Overall the food was good. I really liked the breakfast items like the waffles, egg sandwich and chocolate muffins. I will continue to order those. I also like the lunch bars. Tasty and fulfilling. I only ended up ordering for dinner the meatloaf and hamburger sandwiches. Also the pizzas. The other foods did not look appetizing. The snacks were delicious and there is a lot of selections. The popcorn was so good and very sad to see it is not on the menu. I want to order more so I hope it comes back. Also the ice cream sandwiches, chocolate chip cookies, honey mustard pretzels and cheese puffs are also tasty. I will continue to order these items when they go on sale.

Regarding the shipping, the packaging is awful especially the frozen foods coming in that terrible Styrofoam. It is horribly messy when you open the box. There were always small pieces of Styrofoam sticking to the food and I pieces of grass or whatever it was but it was disgusting. As I would put the frozen foods in the freezer all this junk from the box was getting into the freezer. It was awful. Also there were several times that the waffles were crushed and had to ask for a new shipment. The frozen foods only last a short time before getting freezer burn. Very disappointing. The only food that lasts longer are the ones in the boxes.

The boxes that contain non frozen items are way too big. Those need to be downsized. It is a waste of cardboard and we have a lot to cut up for recycling. I recently ordered some snacks and the box was twice the size as it should have been. Please look into better options and downsizing the boxing for food. Again the Styrofoam boxes are terrible and messy. I will be also posting these comments on Facebook. Thank you.

Hi Dawn,

Welcome to the program! We are so happy to hear how much you are enjoying the plan. Please keep us posted on your continued progress.

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Positives: Nutrisystem works and it is easy and delicious. Negatives: Nutrisystem is slow weight loss, you will probably give up before you reach your goal because you will get sick of the food. Tips for Success: Add nutrition to the program, add vegetables to every meal and snack. Add high quality protein too. Add a fiber supplement to keep feeling full. Add spices and herbs. Buy extra to serve to your family when you are having a day where it is hard to stay on the program. Add exercise AFTER you've lost about 20% of your goal because it is hard to eat a restricted calorie diet when you're burning more calories and you want to eat more food. How to be Successful: It is a mindset. Think that Nutrisystem is supplying all the junk food, you have to supply the high nutrition food. When you have to add food, you add only nutritious foods. You don't add any extra junk.

How I felt physically: I felt ok, I didn't always feel great but that wasn't always due to Nutrisystem because I had some physical problems. Things that were Nutrisystem related were that I noticed that I had a white coating on my tongue that went away after I stopped the program. It was difficult to even brush it off at night before I went to bed. I'd wake up with it too. I was hungry often on the diet, it is not a lot of food. When I would sweat, the sweat would smell like the Nutrisystem food which was not good. How I felt emotionally: Sometimes I felt isolated from other people because I avoided social events centered around food because I knew I'd eat the food. This is temporary because I just went to a food event last week and I was fine. I ate the crudite and left the chips and fried foods alone.

What happened along the weight loss journey that surprised me: Once I lost some weight and started feeling better about myself and feeling more like "my old self", I noticed that I didn't eat the dessert/snack everyday. My son ate the ice cream treats and I didn't even notice. The Hardest Part of the Program: For me it was cooking for my family. I am an excellent cook and I continued to make delicious dinners for them. It was HARD and I would cheat with my own food. How I handled it was I made less delicious food and I bought extra Nutrisystem food and fed them Nutrisystem on the days I was having a hard time sticking to the program. Dinner times were always the hardest part.

My favorite foods: Chocolate muffin at breakfast, tortilla soup for lunch, frozen cheese pizza for dinner, cheese popcorn for snack. I liked all the lunch soups and the peanut butter lunch bar. Lunch was always my favorite meal. Least favorite foods: I had some food I detested but the biggest complaint I have about the food is that the cubed chicken in the frozen dinners was tough, chewy and rubbery. I used to spit it out. Otherwise, I had no real complaints about the food. There was enough selection that I always found items I thought were delicious. In Conclusion: It works, it's easy and delicious. It is also slow but if you stick with it you will reach your goal. You need to add high quality nutritious foods. Bottom line: I would recommend it to anyone, particularly people who like their junk foods. It will wean you off of them. I give it 5 stars, I loved it!

Hi Dawn!

Thank you for sharing your comprehensive review of our plan, including tips to succeed, your favorites, and how you felt on the program. I'm sure this review will help many others on and off the program. We wish you all the best, Dawn!

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I had a question first week more activity than I thought. Counselor let me know I could add power fuel if I felt light headed. That little bit of knowledge got me thru my first week. I was also able to lose twelve pounds the first week. Thanks.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy to see that you are doing so well on the plan! Congrats on your weight loss so far. Please give us a call at 1-800-585-5483 press option two if you need any other assistance.

Hope you have a great day!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We have been on and off Nutrisystem several times. Bottom line: IT WORKS. The food is pretty decent and the plan is simple to follow. The reason that we will not do it anymore is the REQUIREMENT for snacks and desserts. There should be a plan that leaves out the snacks and desserts. PLEASE!!!

Hi Moya,

I am a member of the Consumer Experience Team. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I apologize for any frustration you have experienced surrounding our plans amd what is included with each option.

At this time we do not offer a four week plan without snacks. We do have a transition plan available that includes lunches and dinners with the option at add breakfasts A La Carte, but snacks are included with the rest of the plans we currently have available.

I will be looking into your account further and reaching out with more details on your concern.

We look foward to helping, Moya. Have a great day!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Our program replaced the FreshStart Shakes with the NutriCrush S. I want to return these 3 unopened containers. A response e-mail was sent telling me to call. I spent so much time on hold my beard grew out an inch. Can someone send me direction on how to return the items for a credit or replace then with a protein product without probiotics?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I spoke with Kailey about some ingredients that I can no longer have, mainly tomatoes. I had several lunch and dinner entrees that had lots of tomato in them. I offered to send them back to exchange but she told me that wouldn’t be necessary. She ordered replacements for me and they arrived in three business days. Kailey was pleasant and professional.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy to see that your concern was handled promptly by Kailey. We will be sure to let her supervisor know what a great job she did on your call. Please give us a call at 1-800-585-5483 press option two if you need any other assistance.

Hope you have a great day!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I just started the diabetic Nutrisystem and was very pleased until I opened the flat bread garlic pizza. The flat bread has mold growing largely in two spots even though the package says it is fresh until May 2020. Will be contacting Nutrisystem to replacing this with a different item. Hopefully I won't have this problem again. Most of my products thankfully are frozen, this one is one of the non-frozen prepackaged items.

Hello Dianna,

I am a member of the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very sorry to hear that you received an item in this condition and would be happy to help.

I will be looking into your account and reaching out soon to assist. I look forward to working with you!

Nutrisystem Company Information