Call toll free
4.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Discover what America’s #1 Home Delivery Weight Loss Program can do for you—a happier, healthier you is just a call or click away.

Nutrisystem Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3362 Nutrisystem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Positives: Nutrisystem works and it is easy and delicious. Negatives: Nutrisystem is slow weight loss, you will probably give up before you reach your goal because you will get sick of the food. Tips for Success: Add nutrition to the program, add vegetables to every meal and snack. Add high quality protein too. Add a fiber supplement to keep feeling full. Add spices and herbs. Buy extra to serve to your family when you are having a day where it is hard to stay on the program. Add exercise AFTER you've lost about 20% of your goal because it is hard to eat a restricted calorie diet when you're burning more calories and you want to eat more food. How to be Successful: It is a mindset. Think that Nutrisystem is supplying all the junk food, you have to supply the high nutrition food. When you have to add food, you add only nutritious foods. You don't add any extra junk.

How I felt physically: I felt ok, I didn't always feel great but that wasn't always due to Nutrisystem because I had some physical problems. Things that were Nutrisystem related were that I noticed that I had a white coating on my tongue that went away after I stopped the program. It was difficult to even brush it off at night before I went to bed. I'd wake up with it too. I was hungry often on the diet, it is not a lot of food. When I would sweat, the sweat would smell like the Nutrisystem food which was not good. How I felt emotionally: Sometimes I felt isolated from other people because I avoided social events centered around food because I knew I'd eat the food. This is temporary because I just went to a food event last week and I was fine. I ate the crudite and left the chips and fried foods alone.

What happened along the weight loss journey that surprised me: Once I lost some weight and started feeling better about myself and feeling more like "my old self", I noticed that I didn't eat the dessert/snack everyday. My son ate the ice cream treats and I didn't even notice. The Hardest Part of the Program: For me it was cooking for my family. I am an excellent cook and I continued to make delicious dinners for them. It was HARD and I would cheat with my own food. How I handled it was I made less delicious food and I bought extra Nutrisystem food and fed them Nutrisystem on the days I was having a hard time sticking to the program. Dinner times were always the hardest part.

My favorite foods: Chocolate muffin at breakfast, tortilla soup for lunch, frozen cheese pizza for dinner, cheese popcorn for snack. I liked all the lunch soups and the peanut butter lunch bar. Lunch was always my favorite meal. Least favorite foods: I had some food I detested but the biggest complaint I have about the food is that the cubed chicken in the frozen dinners was tough, chewy and rubbery. I used to spit it out. Otherwise, I had no real complaints about the food. There was enough selection that I always found items I thought were delicious. In Conclusion: It works, it's easy and delicious. It is also slow but if you stick with it you will reach your goal. You need to add high quality nutritious foods. Bottom line: I would recommend it to anyone, particularly people who like their junk foods. It will wean you off of them. I give it 5 stars, I loved it!

Hi Dawn!

Thank you for sharing your comprehensive review of our plan, including tips to succeed, your favorites, and how you felt on the program. I'm sure this review will help many others on and off the program. We wish you all the best, Dawn!

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience team

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My chat with Emily ** was extremely positive as she was very helpful and provided exactly what I needed in a timely manner. I was expecting this to be a longer process. Thank you for the help! P.S. I wish the packaging of each individual product within the fresh start box was labeled as “week one”.

Hi Anthony!

We will be sure that Emily gets this message. We are so happy she was able to make this a painless process for you! :-)

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I enjoyed Nutrisystem and did lose 15 pounds with a goal of 30. Unfortunately, I grew tired of the food and slowly started eating more of my own cooked food. Your system does work. I just got tired of eating the food and went back to my old ways. I did, however, learn the importance of added vegetables for nutrition and fullness, I just am lacking the willpower to follow the strictness to reach my goal.

Hi Erica!

We are rooting for you! Make sure to practice the flex meal options to keep your portions in check. Best wishes :-)

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I just completed the first week on Nutrisystem. I would like to suggest that you put storage information on all your boxed meals. The beginning week box had mac and cheese with turkey sausage in it and I put it in the freezer to be safe. (It took six minutes to cook). The mac and cheese which was frozen took 4 minutes to defrost when I prepared it in the microwave. My microwave works fine with other meals you have. In the interest of safety, I would like to suggest that the boxes or at least a separate sheet contain directions for storage. Even the plastic containers with beef stew, etc need explanation for safe storage.

Hi Marcella,

We are sorry about the confusion surrounding the storage of our foods. We will be having someone review your order and they will be reaching out to discuss this and clear up any confusion.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experiencing Team

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

You require a verbal confirmation that I would like to cancel my subscription but your phone system is not recognizing the option selections when pushed and I tried from both a landline and a cell phone. Simply asking you to call me in an email - I was told that cannot be done. Great customer service, not!

Hi Natalie,

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulty with our phone tree. We will be reaching out soon.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Dominique was so helpful, professional, and patient! I am back on track with the NuMi app. I truly want to say Dominique like Tora are both the same and they are an asset to Nutrisystem. Tora helped me with making the food plan and making it comprehensible! And Dominique helped me with NuMi which was confusing me. Now I understand it! They both explained the importance of the correct power fuels and smart carbs. I am so thankful for their assistance. I finally feel like I have people on my side in my struggle to lose weight.

Also, have you considered a time stamp and pictures of the food packages on the journal? And one last thing it would be nice to have the counselor each time I call. It makes it feel more personal. It is less embarrassment because it can be very emotionally upsetting to try to lose weight when you have been ridiculed all your life. Consistent kindness builds a company. Wouldn’t it be awesome to see your stocks soar because your company gives lots of TLC and everyone wants to join!

Hi Karin!

We are so happy that you had such a wonderful experience with Dominique and Tora! We will be sure to let them know! :-) We have forwarded your suggestion about the food journal and assignment of calls. There are great suggestions! We wish you the best of luck on the program, Karin.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

DO NOT BUY NUTRISYSTEM! The food does not taste not good and does not come as advertised, it does not work with weight loss, definitely not long term, and they charged me $125 TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION!!!! TERRIBLE Customer Service!

Hi Sharla,

We are sorry that you did not enjoy the foods and did not experience any results. We will be reviewing your account and reaching out shortly to discuss things.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I started this program with an open mind and stuck to it the first week without one deviation. I was hungry, exhausted and had nagging indigestion that wouldn't subside. I started the week off with a four day long headache, and by the end of the seven days was really tired of everything chocolate. If you don't like chocolate...this might not be the diet for you. The second week started with a moldy blueberry muffin and bbq chicken paste that I could NOT bring myself to eat. After researching moldy Nutrisystem food online, I found that it was a common problem and was afraid to eat any of the pastry items. Once the bars ran out, I found that I couldn't bring myself to eat any more of the pasta items, or microwaved sandwiches/hot pockets. The indigestion continued and I eventually gave up on the whole plan. Today I received an email notifying me that I had another 4 weeks of food scheduled for delivery...which I was unaware of. I called to cancel and was charged a $125 early cancellation fee. This program is a joke. I have two weeks of my original 4 weeks worth of food left... It's up for grabs. :)

Hi Tiffany,

We are sorry to hear that you struggled with the foods on the program and were unaware that you were on the auto-delivery program. We will be reviewing your account to see what we can do. We will be in touch.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I'm disappointed that I haven't lost more weight. Some of the meals are not appealing to me. I have a very sensitive stomach, however I hope to stay with the program to see if it can work for me. The staff has been quite helpful.

Hi Sankey!

We are sad to hear you haven't been seeing the results you've hoped for. We will be reaching out soon to give you some pointers.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

NEVER received email giving me the opportunity to make changes to menu items. Received email last night at 10:56 PM saying the order was shipping in the next 4-10 business days. Called to ask why I was not given chance to make changes and was told cannot make changes now. They are in a rush to get your money and could care less about customer service. So I cancelled and I am through with them forever!

Hi Tom,

We are sorry to hear that you did not receive the reminder email about your order. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Moldy Cinnamon Streusel Muffin put me off! Seems there's no Quality and Condition checking before they release or distribute the product. How can we say this would be an effective weight loss assistance if even just maintaining the condition of the food is not handled properly. How much more the weight loss... Or that is the part of the program? Surprising the customer with "moldy food" so we lose appetite?

Hi LJ,

We are sorry that you received a spoiled muffin. We will be reaching out to collect more info to submit an incident report. We will be in touch.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Customer service was very helpful. Helped me with planning my second week of meals. Including snacks and flex meals. I really appreciate her help and suggestions on understanding the complete program I lost 5 lbs in the first week. Thank you.

Hi Kim!

We are happy that you were able to get some help with planning our meals for the 2nd week of the program. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have further questions!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I called to get help with my program since I’ve been stalled for 6 weeks. Audrey was very helpful, providing several strategies I can try and sending me some additional support materials. She is amazing!

Hi Emily!

We will be sure Audrey gets this message! :-) Feel free to give us a call/email/chat if you have any other questions.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I decided to give Nutrisystem a chance when I saw a Groupon for their core plan that included all my meals for 5 days out of the week. I was so excited to get it until I received the box. The dinners included pizzas which are basically lunchable Quality and other stuff that is even worse. I tried one of the lunches for work. It was like rice and something else and it was by far the worst thing I’ve ever had. The snacks were not anything special either. Lunch bars were okay but I can go to the store and buy myself a protein bar... Now I have all this food sitting on top of my fridge that I’ll never eat. The only thing the food would be good for is if we went to nuclear war and needed something that could last in bomb shelters. I’m so upset that I spent my money on this junk.

Hi Kerry,

We are sad to hear that you did not enjoy the foods that came along with your Groupon purchase. We will be reaching out soon to discuss some options.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

After four months on the Nutrisystem plan, I achieved my weight loss goal and decided to cancel future orders. There is actually a phone menu selection number for cancellation which promptly connected me to a customer rep. He said he could help me with cancellation, but he had a few questions first. After the first question, I told him I didn't want to answer the questions and just wanted to cancel the orders. He said he would not (could not?) cancel the order unless I answered the questions. I repeated that I would not answer his questions and asked again, to cancel my order. He said, "no answers, no cancellation." I asked to speak to his supervisor. "There is no supervisor available" he replied.

When I asked if it was because it was a Sunday and should I try again after the weekend, he replied "There probably will not be a supervisor at a later time either." He then repeated "his rules"-- no answers, no cancellation. I said OK-- he asked his questions and I gave false answers to satisfy his unbendable rules. His response was interesting-- "there, that wasn't so difficult was it?"

Being quite angry at this point, I terminated the call and placed a new call to Customer Service. Due to a long waiting list to speak to a customer rep, I was offered the option of leaving my number and receiving a return call which I did. I then waited for 90 minutes for a return call which never came. As I said, good plan, very poor customer service.

Hi James!

This is DEFINITELY NOT how we want our customers to be treated, whether they are cancelling or not. We sincerely apologize for this experience. We will be investigating this and reaching out soon to resolve this.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I was excited to start the program, but when it finally arrived the box was missing many items, including the 7 day Fresh Start. I again had to wait and the order came through. Eating the food was hit or miss, some almost edible and others bland. The great shakes were chalky, not good. The ads on TV are misleading. When I called to cancel I was told there was a charge to do so, I could extend for 2 months and up to 6 but had to do it every 2 months.

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for writing this review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the foods and had missing items from your order. We will be reaching out soon to discuss some options.

Resolution response: Feb. 16, 2019

The consumer experience team made things right. My questions and concerns were addressed. I have also been issued a full refund including shipping costs. Thank you for turning my negative experience into a more positive one nutrisytem team!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I was harassed for wanting to cancel and hung up on. No questions asked. Policy is false advertising. Let’s hope I get my full refund for returning the box (update to come). The food has GMO and is very high in sodium. My overall experience was terrible with both the product and customer service I received. I would not recommend this company for weight loss. However, if you need MRE’s for an emergency food supply kit in the event of disaster then this may be helpful.

Hello,

Thank you for writing this review. We are sorry that you had poor experience when contacting us and that you were not a fan of the foods. We will be taking a peek at your account and reaching out soon.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Hello, I wanted to let you know that I received the free 5 Frozen foods you offered. As I noted in my response, I choose the Turkey Medallions and Chicken Parmigiana once again to see if the first batch was just a fluke. Well I am here to tell you it was actually worse. Let's take the Turkey dinner as an example - the photos on your website and on the box CLEARLY show 8 FULL size medallions. When I opened and cooked the dinner, there was 1 medallion and about 4-5 PIECES that made a total of AT BEST 3. NOT EVEN HALF of what you show...

This is the most blatant false advertising and intentional misguiding of consumers. Two times in a row now this is what I have seen from your meals... That is not a co-incidence by any means. I have attached photos including the one that would show the box info. I am also copying ConsumerAffairs and will reach out to the BBB. You need to CORRECT this problem immediately. I am sorry that I will not be a Nutrisystem customer until you resolve this issue.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will be investigating and reaching out soon.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I received a one month order as I am a new customer and had absolutely no paperwork other than shipping Qty. How do I get started what grocery/veggies to buy with meals, The tracking sheet I had to ask for had the package initials NOT KNOWING what the initials meant for. Poor first step...unhappy as the boxes set awaiting instructions.

Hi Pat,

We are sorry to hear you were missing the print materials that should come with your orders. We will be investigating this and reaching out soon,

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Most foods good and worked. I lost 30 lbs. I tell people that it works!!! I personally did not care for the chicken chunks w/ pasta. Too mushy. The chicken disc w/ pasta was not my favorite either. Enjoyed the lunch wraps; especially the beef one. My 1 question. I was ordering the chocolate shake, 1, + talked into ordering 2. Ok... then advised I would not pay for shipping if 6 were ordered. I did order 6, received 6... I guess I was mislead when charge was full price and no 40% discount. $240!!! Sorry to see full price.

Hi Sandra,

We are so happy you shared your success with us! As for the 40% discount and free shipping, we will be looking into your account and reaching out soon.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I signed up for Nutrisystem thinking I was getting a 1 month supply. When I realized that it was an automatic month to month plan and that a new shipment was coming I decided to stop it. I was told by the company that since I was cancelling before the second shipment that I had to pay a $125 cancellation fee. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told that was not possible. When you sign up you do not realize that this is the deal. The entire website states money back guarantee. But nowhere do they say that this is if you return within 14 days. When I asked where that was I was told in the plan and FAQs. This is not right. This information should be stated up front. My business is lost to them but I hope with this note others can be warned. Do not waste your money and be careful what you sign up for.

Hi Sandra,

We are sorry that you were unaware of the auto-delivery nature of the program and the terms behind the 14-day Money Back Guarantee. We will be having someone reach out to you to discuss some options to resolve this.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Can't get a person to talk to. The phone numbers I have been given have no option to talk to live person. The Nutrisystem person I finally did get a hold of last week was very rude. Nutrisystem sent me & charged me for 2 orders! She did not help at all! Basically, she told me "tough luck". I am about to cancel but if somebody could call me at **, please.

Hi Anita,

We are so sad to hear that you've had such trouble getting in contact with us. We will be assigning this to a member of the Consumer Experience team who will be reaching out soon.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I started in July 2017 on my weight loss. To date I have lost 35 lbs with about 25 more to go. My first plan was the Core, but I just changed to the Success Plan with weekends off. I am very happy with my success which started with wanting to lose weight before surgery. It really helped in my rehab and overall I feel much better. Thank you Nutrisystem.

Hi Mary,

This is wonderful news! We wish you continued success with reaching your goal!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have used Nutrisystem 3-4 times over the years, and it has improved over the years. The food is, of course, not as good as real food, and one has to sample several things before finding the ones that are good and meet one's palate, but what works for me is the portion control and having a plan to follow. Also knowing that if/when hunger hits, there's always something still on the daily list to have. The service is good and convenient.

Hi Janice!

We are happy you are finding the food that fit your palate and are happy with the portion sizes. Keep up the awesome work!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Nutrisystem is wonderful. Very happy with not only the food & program, but customer care as well! Every time (other I have reached out (other than once) all reps I have been in contact have been superb professionals at assisting with any questions or problems. Only one time (out of several contacts) did I experience one male that was short/rude and/or unhelpful. I highly recommend this company to everyone I know.

Hi Kimberly,

We are sorry that you had one bad experience but are happy that all other times you've had excellent service. Please let us know if you need anything.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Your email said the frozen was to be received today... not received, again! This was a replacement for a spoiled shipment that took in excess of 4 days last week. You have a problem with your shipper!!!! Frozen food must be received FROZEN!!!

HI Lyle,

We are so sorry to hear this is a continuous issue with getting your frozen foods delivered frozen. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Restricted physically, and 71 years old. January 17 I started at 242, February 3 now 229 pounds!!! Fast start loss was 7 pounds. Now loss about 1 pound every two days without exercise. Anxiously awaiting this month shipment. So much food!

Hi Sherry,

Keep up the awesome work! Please let us know if you have any questions as you go.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Contaminated food container. Sara was unbelievably helpful. She listened to my concerns and made things right. She should be held up as how to deal with a frustrated customer, even though the issue was from a third party vendor. She also was prompt on the chat responses, which is not always the case for some companies. Thanks Sara!

Hi David,

Thanks for the positive words for Sara! We will be sure she gets this. As for the food container, we are very sorry about that but are glad we were able to resolve this issue.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Updated on 02/11/2019: Thank you for replying. No I will not return anything. The product was working to reduce my weight. My point was the person we dealt with behave like a con artist and unfortunately this type of behavior causes me to react. I repeated over and over that I did not want more than one month supply. I will be traveling for 30 days and that’s the reason I did not opt for the second food order. He said they would do the selection. He said that I would not get the discount if I only ordered 30 day supply. He said if I select the food the discount was not available. He said the company recommended that the first-order be selected by them. He repeated at least three times... When I get my order I need to contact Nutrisystem to cancel any further orders.

I’ve done this before and in the order I received, were a lot of items that under no circumstances would I pick. I felt he had dumped a lot of slow moving inventory into my order. Repeatedly now, when I use the app, it advertises food I would have selected had I ordered. A business model that demands the first order be a mixture of some good food but a lot of crap.

Original Review: I’m 80 years old and a diabetic. I started your program and suffered a heart attack. The food you sent you insisted upon selecting it. It is not at all the list of foods that show in other parts of your program. It looks like trash that was left in inventory and nobody really want it. I’m afraid to continue it because there’s a lot of carbohydrates and cholesterol. Please advise. I explain to the person who took my order that I only wanted a 30 day supply and I think this offended him. I’m worried to take any more of this product.

Hi Henry,

We are sorry to hear that you received an order that was wrong. We will be looking into this and reaching out.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I spoke to TIM to tell him about the auto delivery that I had apparently misunderstood. At that time I told him the OFFER was to include Probiotic Shakes AND A SHAKER to make them in, included some FREE COOKIES and also that the CHOCOLATE was to be changed out to Vanilla. Well TIM Is a LIAR! NOTHING CAME with the SECOND order and my payment of 311+ US dollars. Then I get a message that I can return them and exchange them. WTH???

When contacting in person via telephone to be told that they products will be shipped and they are not, and that after my credit card has been billed I am to return for exchange! WHAT??? Tim spoke to me specifically and said he had CHANGED/EXCHANGED it all and included in the shipping the first order that was void of the Probiotic and SHAKER and FREE COOKIES. The order came with NOTHING THAT I WAS TOLD WOULD BE DONE! I am disgusted. And you want me to return and ship! This is utter garbage!

Hi Laura,

We are so sorry to hear that there were so many things wrong with your initial order. We certainly do not want this to be your lasting experience. We will be reaching out to discuss some options on how we can resolve this.

Nutrisystem expert review by JJ Virgin

Portioned meals and snacks delivered every four weeks starting at $9.40 a day. Plans are tailored for men or women and are vegetarian-friendly and diabetes-safe. Phone and online support is available.

• Specialty programs: Nutrisystem for Men addresses the weight loss needs of men. Nutrisystem D is designed for Prediabetes or Type 2 dieters and includes access to certified Diabetes counselors.

• Menu options: Dieters can choose from over 150 breakfast, lunch and dinner options, including snacks, shakes and frozen foods. More than 90 vegetarian offerings are also available, along with a vegetarian plan.

• Goal weight maintenance: Nutrisystem Success helps users maintain healthy eating habits with customized meal planning and portion-controlled, pre-measured food containers.

• Free shipping: Free FedEx shipping is available on all orders within the continental United States. Customers using auto-delivery also get 35 percent off every order and reminders to choose food.

• Support: Counselors are available via phone, email or online chat every day from 7 a.m. to midnight, except Christmas and Thanksgiving. Nutrisystem’s website, social media and app provide food tracking, tips, recipes and news.

• Quick start: All plans (except those for diabetics) include Turbo Takeoff, a special first week of meals and snacks designed to burn fat and jumpstart weight loss.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
JJ Virgin Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Nutrisystem Company Information