Call toll free
4.51/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Discover what America’s #1 Home Delivery Weight Loss Program can do for you—a happier, healthier you is just a call or click away.

Nutrisystem Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3159 Nutrisystem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I asked for support with my South Beach get started account and received an email from The Nutrisystem Counseling Team, 1-800-585-5483, counselingsupport@nutrisystem.com. I have used Nutrisystem and was very disappointed with the high carb content. I never lost weight. I chose South Beach specifically for the type and content of the food. I don’t understand why Nutrisystem responded to my email. I sincerely hope you do not represent both companies.

Hi Darlene,

I apologize that the signature of your email was signed incorrectly. In December 2015, South Beach Diet was acquired from SBD Holdings Group Corp. and was intended to be used to expand our brand and principles through the creation of a delivery program. Even though South Beach Diet is now owned and operated by Nutrisystem, Inc., the brands will be kept separate.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I received this shipment and called to get help with explaining the daily meal plan. I was told to refer to the guide in the shipment. No matter what I said Rose kept telling me “it’s in the guide”. I told her I just had shoulder surgery and it might be at the bottom of the box, but got the same response. I said I did not see anything in the delivery and if she could just briefly review what I was to do and was told it would arrive in the next shipment on Saturday. At that point I said I could see that she did not want to help and asked to spread to another counselor, I was transfer to the survey and was disconnected immediately.

I had 3 interactions with the company, the First was with rep **. She was very abrupt and wanted to rush me through to order and had little patience. I then went to investigate Jenny Craig. I decided to try once more and was lucky enough to get Bill at **, he was spectacular! Patient, caring, interested, made valuable recommendations, and gave you the sense that he was there for you. He should be training your entire phone staff on how it should be done. You are fortunate to have him. I ended up calling him and all was well. I’m sure if this is my experience that there are many more who have the same misfortune and never take the time to let you know. I hope this helps you make the necessary changes to help your company grow and prosper.

Hi Gina,

Thank you for writing this review. We hope you are recovering from your surgery quickly. We are sorry to hear that the representative that you spoke with was unhelpful. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We were out of town in Beckley, W. Va. in that my wife's mother was gravely ill. I returned home to find the box of non-perishable foods which I was not expecting since I wasn't here to get the information about the delivery. I called Nutrisystem that day and was told that the Frozen Portion was shipped. I explained the circumstances that we were not going to be here when the shipment arrived and could not accept delivery. The response was, well the frozen cannot be returned. I put a note on the door saying that I could not accept delivery from Nutrisystem and to return to sender.

The Nutrisystem people I talked to said they understood my dilemma, but I would have to accept the frozen portion of the program and pay the price. I objected saying that I was not going to be in town on the day or the following week of delivery. My wife and I have been in Beckley W. Va. for almost 3 weeks until my Mother In Law passed away on Sunday, Sept 30. The funeral was held on Fri. October 5. We returned home the following Sunday, Oct. 7.

I am not happy with how I was treated by people from Nutrisystem. As a consequence, I have asked that the charge put forth on our Sun Trust Account be disputed and the money returned. An inquiry is now in progress and I am hoping for complete restitution of the amount less the $95.22 deposited in the account to date. This whole debacle is a reason why people are skeptical of systems like this. I am not a happy camper and will use the BBB and also social media to discuss the treatment. I can't believe I am the only one in similar situation but the representatives from Nutrisystem give me no alternatives to use.

Hi Paul,

We are so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law and the issues you had with getting a shipped order turned around. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

After 2 hours of chat my 2 orders had to be cancelled. The only reason I am even thinking about maybe trying to order again is because of the very nice gentleman that I spoke to after my orders were cancelled. I believe his name is Alex. He should probably be in charge over there as he knows what he is doing and talking about.

Hi Jill!

Thank you for the kind words for Alex. We apologize that it took you about an hour and 45 minutes longer than it should have to cancel your order. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I am on my third order. Each time I have gone online to make my selections. Items seem to have been changed when I went back to review my selection. I then received selections I did not want. Then, with my last order, I had one meal that was near empty and, the use by date was Oct 12. Just a week remaining. I do enjoy the program, but am disappointed by the issues noted above. I was not going to make my third order, but did. I most likely will not place a fourth order.

Hi Robert,

We are sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with customizing your order. We will be assigning this to a member of the Consumer Experience team who will be reaching out soon.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

2nd shipment had frozen food all defrosted. Contact NS, took them 3 weeks to re-ship forcing me to restart the program. 3rd shipment also came defrosted. NS will not refund and just cancels your auto renewal program. They charged me over $300 in order for me to cancel. Horrible customer service.

Hi Jennifer,

We are sorry to hear that you received a melted order. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Did not receive in my initial order. Received shakes a week later but nothing else included for my first turbo week. The girl on the phone was very helpful but I’m ready to start the program and I feel I’m missing some of the product and there’s so much it’s a bit overwhelming.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

It has been a week since I was able to get into my account. It is very stressful that I cannot put in all of my challenge codes to get the bonuses I have won. Plus the fact that customer service can't access the account either is bothersome. How long will it take for this to get corrected?

Hi Anne,

We are sorry for the issues you are experiencing with getting into your account. We will be looking into this and reaching out.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I started Nutrisystem in January 2018, I've lost 52lbs. I absolutely loved the program I was on, Uniquely Yours. I was completely fulfilled with my cravings. I loved all the food. I'm now ordering a-la-carte because I enjoy the food still. Nutrisystem has taught me how to eat, portions and selections of food. Thank you Nutrisystem☺.

Hi Sheri,

Thank you for writing this review. We are so happy to hear that you experienced the results you were hoping for and learned something along the way, too. Keep it up!

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I called and canceled my plan this morning at which time I was informed that there would be a termination fee because I was canceling before the second shipment. I told them that I was a member previously and when I canceled after the first shipment there was no early termination fee. They informed me that there are no exceptions since it is listed on the agreement. Like most people I trusted that their agreement would be fair - I guess it's not. I refuse to pay.

Hi Joseph,

We are sorry that you were unaware of the early cancellation fee. We will be looking at your account and reaching out soon.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I place an order last week that arrived on Friday, Sept 28. On Saturday, I spent the entire day calling. NO ANSWER ALL DAY. I pressed a button to pretend to place an order and actually got someone to answer the phone. The lady was very nice but told me the department I needed to speak with had left for the day a few minutes before. Had I been able to get through 4 hours earlier I could have talked to someone. #1 I suggest using the phone system as a customer and see if you can get through. Today, I finally got a Nurtisystem person on the phone. Instead of listening to what I was trying to tell her she kept forcing me to listen to her by talking over me. I have already spent hours on the phone trying to get through.

There is no reason for me to listen to her when she is telling me something that is incorrect. I TRIED to tell her that I was missing items from my order which included the Protein Shakes and instructions on starting the program. I thought I was supposed to get the Turbo Boost program. This lady told me I chose not to get it. INCORRECT. I was supposed to not only get those items but I was supposed to get instructions on starting the program. The materials that I received doesn't tell me how to start the program. It only tells me how to start from week 2. She kept saying "No you have the right information". That's not a direct quote. I'm being nicer. Not only was she very nasty but she wasn't listening. I kept saying "you're not listening". She said "You are talking over me".

YEAH, cause she wouldn't listen!!!! I told her I wanted to speak to someone else. She said to call back. This was after I had told her that it took me 4 days calling 3 or 4 hours at a time trying to get through. I asked for her name. She said it was Maria. I could tell she was lying. I said, "What's your last name?" "No last name". Then hung up on me. I called back and yes MIRACULOUSLY got through right away. This time I spoke with Alex with helped me the way this other women should have. I immediately asked Alex who it was on the phone in my last call. He said her initials were BW. So is Maria her middle name or is she just a complete total liar? She has no business answering the phone in a customer service department. She needs anger management classes.

Alex determined that the WRONG instruction booklet was sent to me. He will be sending out the missing shakes and the correct instruction book. I am very upset with Nurtrisystem and the lack of customer service I have received so far. The salesperson Anoah ** had told me she was going to be there for me during the whole process. She has not contacted me to see how the program is going. She has not responded to my calls about missing product.

Hi Mary,

We are so sorry for your difficulties getting through to us and for the lack of help you received. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

The extensive use of Soy was nowhere in the sales material. I ordered and began to use the product and immediately got a reaction from my Soy allergy. My thanks to your dietary people for checking and processing a full cancellation and refund. Sorry for that, but your professional handling of the problem is much appreciated.

Hi Thomas!

Thanks for writing this review. We are sad to hear the program was not for you but we're happy to see that we were able to resolve it quickly. Best wishes, Thomas!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Nutrisystem put a charge of $259.48 after my plan had been cancelled for months and now this charge appears. No one can find an order therefore can't resolve the issue. There is no order # to refer to because no order has been placed. Don't recommend Nutrisystem, not because of the food, the service and billing issues and no one can help me so had to get my credit card company involved. Marie Osmond would not be happy to hear this. Very unhappy customer.

Hi Kathy,

We are sorry to hear about a charged that occurred after cancellation. We will be investigating this and reaching out soon.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Thank you for responding to initial complaint re: a piece of plastic in a meat product. The image of the item is attached. You offered 5 meal replacements, but I was unclear as to how to receive them. It its possible, I would appreciate 5 mushroom risotto dinners as compensation. You have been very helpful & responsive. Thank you again.

Hi Joyce!

We are sorry that you found plastic in your food. We will be assigning this to a member of the Consumer Experience Team and they will be reaching out soon.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Difficult to cancel. It took numerous emails, chat, hung up phone calls. Extremely poor customer service. All because the food did not agree with my stomach. Finally after weeks of trying and the request of the CEOs name and anyone who would listen did I get results.

Hi Lorraine,

We are sorry to hear about your difficulties getting in touch with us. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Diet/life change - I haven’t started yet but ALL the people I spoke with were great! They gave me confidence to do this. Thank you all for being so compassionate and patient with me. So looking forward to these new relationships. ❤️ Yea!

Hi Maureen,

Welcome aboard. Best of luck getting started!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I was able to lose nearly 20 pounds in five weeks with the Nutrisystem program but the problem is some of it is a scam. First, you can't cancel the program unless you call them. You can do everything online but they make it difficult to cancel. When you try to cancel on the phone then they try to talk you into staying with the program. My big complaint is that I thought that I was getting a deal for my first month - as advertised on tv - except that when you sign up (read the fine print) you are actually signing up for the first month and then the required auto=renewal during the next month.

The first month is about $330 for the shakes, bars and meals - they state a saving of nearly $200. Nope- 'cause you have to pay the $200 on auto renewal the following month or you can pay them to opt out of the program early for $130. The guarantee is bogus. I finally talked to someone else on the phone who approved me to cancel after I paid a total of $550 for two months. Was $550 with all the food really worth it to lose 20-pounds - yes probably but I feel you are not allowed to cancel and need to do it on the phone - that is wrong. Here is the final kicker that made me mad - you are able to order what you want for your second order. So, you try the food for one month and can order you second month based on your experience. Well, they can substitute food items when they are on low inventory. They substituted four items at their discretion that I hate. That is also wrong.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing your success. We are sad to hear about all the other issues you had while attempting to cancel. We will be looking into your account and will be reaching out soon.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I wrote in twice and also waited in phone queues for longer than I had time and no one gets back to me. I had severe abdominal pains and constant other bathroom issues 2 and a half weeks into the plan. I nicely wrote twice explaining that I like the plan and I like the taste of the food but it is making me so sick that I went off it this past Wednesday. All symptoms cleared up! I have a soy allergen that I think has gotten worse and I think the artificial sweeteners make me sick as well. It's been awful. I don't think they care or are staffed enough or something. Because it took a while for shipment. I bought a kit while waiting at Walmart - did that for a week then did the Turbo takeoff week two. Every day got worse. Started the frozen Uniquely Yours on week 3 and got until Tuesday and I just couldn't do it due to how ill I was.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for writing your review. We are sorry to hear you felt ill while on the program. We will be having someone reach out to discuss this with you.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

You couldn't delay my order, so you cancelled my program. Why did you delete the details of my program? Not only did you make me waste an hour of my time today trying to delay my order online, then by phone, and then being put on hold for 40 minutes waiting to speak to someone, and cancel my program, now you've made it impossible for me to pick up where I left off. It took an effort to get my picks just the way I wanted them, and now you've deleted them. I never did get a call back the second time I called using your callback feature. I am upset and disgusted with your service today.

Hi Agibbe,

Thank you for writing this review. We are sorry to hear about the issues you've had with contacting us. We will be reaching out soon.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

There is a worm in my food. I can't reach anyone at Nutrisystem - do I take the live worm and go to hospital because I may have ingested one. Can't reach anyone at Nutrisystem for 20 minutes. Got someone and she has no idea what to do.

Hi Patrick,

We are so sorry to hear this information! We will be having someone reach out to you soon regarding this matter.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I submitted a request for additional copies of the Nutrisystem Daily Tracker & Grocery Guide, via email. I received an email reply from a rep of the Nutrisystem Counseling Team, in a timely manner that provided "PDF" copies of both items; plus a notice that several would be mailed to me shortly. Thanks for the assistance resolving my issue. Great job & excellent products.

Hi Troy!

Thanks for writing this lovely review. We are so happy that we were able to get you those documents you were looking for. Do not hesitate to reach out if you need anything else!

Insufficient response received
Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Nutrisystem is fine if you never need to contact customer service. I've been a customer for years. In the past, customer service was responsive. But now, the Chat folks will help only if you want to buy something. For all other issues, you have to call - and you'll wait on hold until your phone battery dies before anyone answers. If you value customer service, try a different diet vendor. None could have worse customer service than Nutrisystem!

Hi Laura,

We are sorry that you had such a negative experience contacting us through Chat and over the phone. We will be reaching out soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

"You have so many emails" that you can't reply personally to my request! You are not useful to me through emails if you can't find the time to make a personal connection with me. I'm unhappy about the foods and I'm not sure when I'm going to order again, or ever...

Hi Doina,

We are sorry to hear that you never received a reply to your email to us. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

No response received
Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

My husband and I both signed up for Nutrisystem and was very excited about it. The commercials makes it sound like an easy diet, good food, weight loss guarantee. Within the first 3 days of working the system we both just couldn't eat the food. Throughout the month we tried to eat just whatever was edible and even food that was, putting it kindly "ok." Although the shakes were really good. So it's reasonable to say we didn't lose anything. It's misleading to have all these celebrities promote your product telling your consumers that it tastes "Great" is the word they used. What are we paying, $400 for mine and $700 for my husband, for??? Even the meat seemed questionable. My husband is a veteran and he said his M.R.Es tastes better than what they are offering for so much money. I am truly disappointed Nutrisystem. Tis Tis!

And one more thing, when I called to cancel I was told that there was a specific date I had to cancel without paying a " fee" and "that day had come and gone!". A fee!!! To cancel a program I signed up for, I paid for, and had no knowledge of that date. I'm dumbfounded. This is a prime example of a corporation that may have started to help people and maybe not. But Nutrisystem, hey, you're taking advantage of people with real weight issues and ripping them off. So newsflash you might wanna read these reviews, not the good ones, the bad ones because when you have a meeting and ask what can be improved, we are trying to tell you! From trusting your commercials I'm now out $1100+ fee of another $200 and something. Oh, and I still have boxes of your food in my kitchen. SMH.

Hi Chrisie,

We are sorry to hear that you were not a huge fan of any of the foods on the program and were unaware of the cancellation fee associated with early cancellation of the program. We will be taking a peek at your account and reaching out soon,

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Last month I contacted Nutrisystem because of moldy food and old crusty cereal. Several emails I answered. Finally was able to reach “counselor” by phone. No apology but said they would replace food. They sent a list of food they were sending (which wasn’t even half of what I told them about but I thought okay whatever. Well, I should have known better. ”Replacement” food was never sent to me. Diet actually does work but when product is moldy or un-usable I would think you would stand behind your product. I would NEVER recommend your product. Certainly not interested in keeping customers! Shame on you!

Hi Ginny,

We are so sorry to hear about the issue not only with the spoiled foods, but also the fact that you never received the replacements. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

A few days after I found the chip bag sliced open, I found mold inside of the yellow pound cake snack. That’s why the $10 credit was applied, which is fair. However, now I find myself carefully inspecting everything I open which is annoying. I was feeling good about Nutrisystem, it might take a while to feel confident about it again.

Hi John,

We are sorry to hear about the spoiled food you received and completely understand your hesitation with the program. We will be assigning this to a member of the Consumer Experience Team and they will be reaching out shortly.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

You better hope you never have to call customer service. The wait is typically 20+ minutes and I have been on hold for up to 45 minutes. Doesn't feel like good customer service to me. I called to delay my automatic deliveries. I stated I wanted to place a one time a la carte order to get some additional items. The rep said he delayed my auto delivery and assisted me with my a la carte order. I was notified awhile later via email that I had a delivery arriving. This was a good month before I was told I would get my next delivery.

I called and was told the rep had set my a la carte order up as auto delivery! I specifically had said I didn't want food for another month and had asked for a 1 time a la carte order! At this point it was too late the frozen food was already shipped. To my cottage (2 hours away) that I was no longer staying at. I was told they could cancel my non frozen shipment and refund me. I have yet to get the approx $200 refund for the food that was never shipped. So here I am on hold again as I try and contact customer service again (currently on hold for 28.02 minutes and still holding... UGH!

Hi Tammy,

We are sorry to hear that you had such difficulty getting in touch with us. We will be looking into this and reaching out soon.

-the Nutrisystem Consumer Experience team

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Quick response to my email inquiry. Very customer centric response. In addition to addressing my question, the counseling team recognized and was supportive of my weight loss. This left me feeling like I was a person to the team, not just one of many emails asking a question.

Hi Andrea!

Thank you for writing this review. We are happy to hear that we were able to get to your email quickly and efficiently. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. Best wishes, Andrea!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Spoke to Michael who was courteous and very informative and helpful. He completely answered all of my questions in detail. Very reassuring, pleasant and knowledgeable. After our conversation he even sent me a list of power foods, smart carbs etc. to help me have a better understanding of the program. Excellent counselor.

Hi George,

Thank you for the review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your conversation with Michael. We will be sure he gets this message! Keep up the awesome work, George!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

The customer services is awful. After receiving a shipment of food container items I didn't order, attempts to reach customer service over a 7 day period were all unsuccessful. Attempts to live chat, phone and email were ineffective. Being placed on automatic hold and expected to hold for who knows how long, I emailed, and after sending one email each day for a week, I received no response. Only after I canceled did someone bother to email me and managed to acknowledged that they were busy and sorry to see me go. There was no attempt to resurrect the relationship or make things right. Nor did I ever receive the name or telephone number of a real person to work through the issues. Even canceling the order didn't cause anyone to reach out to see if there was a problem. You are just a number and after your wallet.

Hi Bob,

We certainly do not want our current or past consumers to feel this way. We will be looking into this matter and will be reaching out soon.

Nutrisystem expert review by JJ Virgin

Nutrisystem's low-calorie diet plans feature both pre-selected and customized menus with more than 150 pre-packaged food options. Customers can benefit from an online health tracking platform and individualized counseling from dieticians and weight loss coaches.

• Separate plans: Nutrisystem offers separate plans for men and women, with different options and price points customized to your weight loss goals. Because it is not a “one size fits all” plan, Nutrisystem could work well for anyone on the go who demands fast, satisfying meals for weight loss.

• A diabetes plan: With meals containing 12 grams or less of sugar, Nutrisystem takes the guesswork out of choosing optimal low-glycemic foods to stabilize blood sugar -- which could be good for people with any degree of insulin resistance.

• Convenience: Any busy person who does not have time to prepare their own meals would benefit from having frozen and other pre-packaged meals and snacks delivered to their home. Nutrisystem will ship all the food you need to your doorstep, with free shipping included. You can also find their products on QVC, at Costco and at several major grocers and mass retailers like Kroger and Walmart.

• Transition and maintenance plan: This program provides long-term fat loss success rather than just focusing on initial weight loss, which is important for those who need to establish lifelong healthy habits.

• Vegetarian options: While all of the meals offered by Nutrisystem are designed to comply with the USDA's recommendations for a nutritious diet, those who want to stick to a vegetarian diet can especially benefit from Nutrisystem. You can avoid all animal products and still lose weight with Nutrisystem, with over 90 vegetarian options.

• Frequent meals: Many people fail at diets because their bodies crave snacks to maintain their blood sugar levels throughout the day. Because Nutrisystem allows 6 meals a day, you can avoid a dip in your blood sugar that could lead to cravings. By eating smaller portions, you can eat more frequently and still reach your weight loss goals.

• Best for: college students, busy adults and new moms.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
JJ Virgin Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Nutrisystem Company Information