Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.43/5

Welcome to Weight Loss That Works. For over 40 years, we’ve helped millions of people lose weight and find the lighter side of life. With easy-to-follow plans featuring balanced food shipped straight to you, plus the support you need to succeed on your own terms, Nutrisystem provides real weight loss results you can count on.

Discover what America’s #1 Home Delivery Weight Loss Program can do for you—a happier, healthier you is just a call or click away.

BOTTOM LINE

Nutrisystem delivers healthy meals with a detailed guide and diet plan to your door. Monthly plans don’t offer in-person support, but they do help dieters learn about balanced, portion-controlled eating habits.

PROS

• Meals shipped to your door
  • Vegetarian and diabetic options
  • Affordable

CONS

• No in-person support

Top Nutrisystem Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

I have been using Nutrisystem for almost a year and I am very pleased with the food and the results. My food always arrives fast and tastes amazing… Nutrisystem is flexible and offers me the convenience I need.

Just want to say thanks. I've sent several emails to counseling support in the few days that I've been on the plan and they are so helpful and encouraging... I like the emails as this way I can save for reference. Thanks Nutrisystem!

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Nutrisystem?

Nutrisystem is a weight loss and nutrition company for people who want to manage their weight, eat healthily and create new diet habits. Nutrisystem offers monthly meal plans and à la carte items, and it sells products on the company's website and through authorized retailers and distributors.

Nutrisystem offers four primary plans — Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus — and has vegetarian and diabetic options available. Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans include unlimited frozen meals and snacks, and flex meals allow customers the opportunity to cook balanced meals at home or eat at restaurants. Customers have the option of getting handpicked meals with the Chef’s Choice menu or individually picking their meals at sign-up. Nutrisystem sells plans directly on its website.

How does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem dieters eat every two to three hours, up to six times per day. A printed meal plan is included in the first shipment to make it easy for dieters to follow their Nutrisystem plan from the start. Depending on the plan, meal and snack items include options such as buttermilk waffles, mac and cheese, grilled chicken sandwiches and chocolate-covered pretzels.

Meal deliveries are made every four to 10 days. Frozen meals are shipped in frozen storage trucks and packed in dry ice that keeps them frozen for up to eight hours after delivery. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is free order tracking, which makes it easy to manage and adjust your meals.

Nutrisystem plans

Nutrisystem Basic, Core, Uniquely Yours, Uniquely Yours Plus and Vegetarian plans can be customized for male or female dieters, and the company has diabetic options. Nutrisystem’s website lists a comprehensive nutritional breakdown of all menu items on each plan.

Nutrisystem Basic
    Choose your meals or go with the Chef’s Choice, a preset menu of popular foods. A typical eating schedule on Nutrisystem includes three meals and three snacks per day and includes menu items like three-cheese chicken with steamed broccoli, apple cinnamon oatmeal and white cheddar popcorn. A four-week Basic plan with auto-delivery costs $294.99. Customers can add shakes for an additional $79.98.
    • Basic Diabetes: Nutrisystem created its Basic Diabetes plan to help customers manage their glucose levels while losing weight. The Basic Diabetes plan includes menu items such as blueberry muffins, chicken noodle soup and white chocolate chunk cookies.
    Nutrisystem Core
    Nutrisystem Core comes with more variety and food options than the Basic plan. The first week comes with specially selected meals to jump-start weight loss and ease dieters into the plan. The Core plan also includes unlimited online support from counselors and dietitians. A four-week Core plan with auto-delivery costs $319.99, and probiotic shakes can be added for an additional fee.
    • Core Diabetes: The Core Diabetes plan offers Chef’s Choice Pack and unlimited customer support. With portion control, customers can enjoy whole-grain crackers and cheese, cheese tortellini and Santa Fe-style chicken on Nutrisystem’s Core Diabetes plan.
    Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours
    Uniquely Yours is similar to the Core and Basic plans but comes with even more menu options. A typical Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours day might include a cranberry orange muffin, mixed nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, a hamburger and side salad for lunch, roasted turkey and green beans for dinner and snacks throughout the day. Not including shakes, four weeks of auto-delivery costs $359.99.
    • Uniquely Yours Diabetes: With even more menu options created for those with Type 2 diabetes, dieters can manage their blood glucose levels and eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks. On the Uniquely Yours Diabetes, customers have the bonus of receiving unlimited frozen meals and snacks. Favorite menu items include apple slices dipped in peanut butter, ice cream sandwiches and broccoli and cheese melt with sliced vegetables.
    Nutrisystem Uniquely Yours Plus
    The Uniquely Yours Plus plan includes everything in the three previous plans and adds even more variety and high-protein shakes. On a typical day, you might have waffles and scrambled eggs with coffee for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a salad for lunch and a pizza with salad for dinner. Probiotic shakes, cheese puffs, popcorn and mixed nuts make for great snacks throughout the day, and you can even have a chocolate brownie sundae for an evening snack. At $399.99 per month with auto-delivery, it’s one of Nutrisystems best plans for those who crave variety.
    Nutrisystem Vegetarian
    Nutrisystem's vegetarian plan makes it easy for customers on plant-based diets to enjoy balanced and nutritional meals. Menu items include home-style pancakes and stuffed shells with sautéed spinach plus a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Four-week vegetarian plans with auto-delivery start at $359.99.

Compare Nutrisystem cost

Core$11.43
    Uniquely Yours$12.86
    Uniquely Yours Plus$14.29

Nutrisystem FAQ

How much weight can I lose on Nutrisystem?
    Nutrisystem results vary, but you can lose up to 13 to 15 pounds in the first month and one to two pounds per week after.
    Can you drink alcohol on Nutrisystem?
    Yes. Nutrisystem dieters can enjoy alcohol in moderation — stick to drier wines and light beer. Customers should avoid mixed cocktails and alcoholic beverages high in sugar or fat.
    Do you have to exercise on Nutrisystem?
    Yes. Nutrisystem is designed to help dieters create healthy lifestyle habits and encourages 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week. Nutrisystem offers the My Daily 3 plan as part of the company’s eating schedule to help customers get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
    Are Nutrisystem meals frozen?
    Sometimes. Nutrisystem uses a soft canning process to keep meals fresh and ready to eat without freezing. Only Uniquely Yours and Uniquely Yours Plus plans have frozen menu items.
    Does Nutrisystem food have preservatives?
    Most Nutrisystem meals don’t have preservatives, though some include BHT, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate and sodium benzoate. More than 120 Nutrisystem foods don’t contain preservatives.
    Can Nutrisystem plans be gluten-free?
    No, Nutrisystem does not currently offer a gluten-free plan.
    Does Nutrisystem have a vegetarian plan?
    Yes, Nutrisystem has a vegetarian plan.
    Does Nutrisystem offer diabetic options?
    Yes, Nutrisystem offers diabetic options.
    Does Nutrisystem use artificial sweeteners?
    Yes, some Nutrisystem foods contain artificial sweeteners, most commonly sucralose. Some offered meals also include sugar alcohols such as maltitol, sorbitol and isomalt.
    Does Nutrisystem food have a lot of sodium?
    Not a lot. Most Nutrisystem plans are below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommended daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams or less.
    What is the cost of Nutrisystem for one month?
    The cost of Nutrisystem for one month ranges from $294.99 to $399.99 with auto-delivery.
    What is Nutrisystem’s return policy?
    Regular subscribers can request a return or refund within 30 days of their delivery. After 30 days, Nutrisystem provides a refund for unopened, non-frozen Nutrisystem foods. Customers can also request a full refund within 14 days of their first order, not including à la carte and weekly orders.

Does Nutrisystem work?

Nutrisystem’s plans work for dieters who want to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise. You can choose from multiple plan options — Core and Basic plans are good for starting out, while the Uniquely Yours plans give dieters more variety and flexibility. All Nutrisystem plans deliver ready-to-go meals straight to your door to help manage short-term and long-term weight loss.

Nutrisystem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutrisystem?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Lost ten pounds the first week, 10 pounds over the next 3 weeks and then got stuck halfway to my goal weight. Once I figured out which food I liked, I was able to eat more of what I liked the second month. It's super convenient to have all the meals ready to heat up and eat, the orders were very close to being right every time. I almost didn't my frozen order in time the second month. The system of tracking food and activity is well laid out and easy to understand, as was the whole program. I had a hard time eating all the extra PFs, SCs and Veggies and contacted a counselor. =-( All she said was to cut a morning protein shake in half, it was too many calories, and eat the smaller portions of SCs and PFs... I already couldn't fit all the food in my day and she told me to space out my meals. Mixed feelings about the program. I'd say it's worth a try.

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your review. If you still need help with your meal plan and progress on the plan, please email us at counselingsupport@nutrisystem.com or you can reach a Weight Loss Counselor at 1-800-585-5483, option 2, or through our Live Chat service at www.nutrisystem.com. We are here for you! Have a great day and thanks for choosing Nutrisystem!

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I had used Nutrisystem about 20 years ago with great success so thought I'd try it again. As before, I am highly pleased with the program and recommend it for weight loss. My loss has been slow but study but I feel that is the safe way and I love 98% of the meals I choose for myself. I will continue to use this system until I reach my goal of a 40 lbs weight loss. I am reading so many complaints about the service but I have never had a problem. My food comes frozen solid and on time and when I call Customer Service, I have never had a problem getting satisfactory answers to my questions. The food is very tasty and healthy!

Hello Linda,

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your positive view and and we're happy to hear that you enjoy our program. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding your meal plan, please feel free to email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. We look forward to helping you!

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2020

The dry ice in my last month order for frozen food Was melted. Some items were soft & not fully frozen. Yesterday I received a replacement of my order at no charge. Beside the food being great the customer service is wonderful too. Thank you Nutrisystem!

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your review. We are sorry. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. So we can better assist you with this please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. You can also reach us by phone at 1-800-585-5483. Please wait until all the options have been listed before pressing Option 1. Following this wait for the next round of options to list and then press option 8. We thank you for your review -Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: May 22, 2020

My orders came missing items and I could not connect with online chat or phone so I sent email. Honestly I was a bit grumpy I'd been having a difficult day. My email was answered within hours and because of the difficulty contacting anyone Nutrisystem unexpectedly added extra items. What amazing customer service. I have not been losing fast and that is my fault because I was not eating enough and didn't believe counselor who said I should add more of recommended foods. Honestly, I was afraid to go out during the virus.

Finally in my PPE I bought vegs and fruit and cottage cheese. Immediately I started to lose again. The food surprised me that it was good and the food I did not like I could change before my next order. The virus and wanting to start my own construction business was the catalyst to get back in shape. You are all so kind and helpful. I tell everyone about the program. Unfortunately I stay home as much as possible so they haven't seen me yet but just wait. You all rock! I so believe in you and the program. Any chance of adding fish (salmon)? And thank you for going the extra step and changing my day from grumpy to fantastic.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! It is greatly appreciated to hear positive feedback from our customers and help them continue their weight loss journeys. If you have further meal plan questions, you are able to chat in or email our counselingsupport@nutrisystem.com When sending an email , please remember to include a brief description, along with your name and phone number on your account.

Have a great day, Judy!

~ Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: May 7, 2020

I have dietary restrictions and the need of dally GI monitoring test due to removal of a large sections of my large and small (ileum included) intestines because of a precancerous tumor. Thus, I CANNOT have chocolate, lettuce, or any products that contains annatto. I also HAVE to restrict fats. I lost the portion of my bowel that metabolizes fats, ions, etc. I now take a drug to metabolize fats. Ms. Bernadette ** was great in making sure that the choices. She was great. Nutrisystems may be the solutions for many people that have undergone bowel resection and that need to develop new diets (**).

Hello Eduardo,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your review. I am so happy to hear that our representative was able to help you choose the food that would work best for your dietary needs. Please feel free to email us directly at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. You can also reach us by phone at 1-800-585-5483. Please press Option 1 and then Option 8. We thank you for your review and your feedback. We wish you all the best! -The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience team

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I recently made my first order to Nutrisystem. The order consisted of frozen and unfrozen meals and snacks. I received the unfrozen items rather promptly, but couldn’t start the plan until I received the bulk of my order, which was frozen. It took nearly another week to receive the frozen items. There was very little communication from the company and NO response to my email questions. I am deaf and can’t call, so email is my only way to communicate. When the frozen items arrived, one package was just an empty wrapper!!! So much for quality control! I totally regret purchasing from Nutrisystem.

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear that received damaged items in your order. We want to help you with this. To better assist you, please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com and include your name and phone number in your email so we can find your account. Also please include a brief description of your issue as you have described here. We look forward to hearing from you.

- The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Pro: the food looks terrible but 3/4 of it actually taste good. Cons: They claim they charge every 28 days but they charged me 3 days early and caused a huge overdraft on my account I use just for this program. Then, when my food shipped they charged AGAIN! They caused another overdraft! I got a refund on the one extra charge. I decided to cancel because the woman on the phone was extremely rude and refused to give me her name or extension. She refused because she said she's working from home. She said it's not her responsibility when people get paid. She apparently doesn't do math very well because it was 25 days in between charges and not 28. She basically called me a liar. She was rude from the start and sounded put off just for the double charge mistake.

For this reason, I canceled and will NEVER recommend Nutrisystem. They charged early and caused an overdraft. Then they charged me AGAIN when my food shipped. Two over charges and double charged. Both THEIR mistake. I can understand mistakes and would have just worked it out but I decided to just cancel mid phone conversation because of the horrible woman on the phone. I am not confrontational and am very polite so there was no reason for her treatment and attitude. I am so tired of people's poor attitudes....no tolerance anymore. I did nothing wrong in this situation.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are so sorry to hear about your experience. When you enroll in an auto-delivery a new order processes every 25 days approximately and we apologize for any confusion surrounding this. If you could send an email to consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com referencing your review, we would be happy to look into this matter further.

We hope to hear from you soon and hope you have a great day!

-The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I ordered Nutrisystem for my son and thought I was ordering a "great deal" due to the special listed on their website. There really wasn't a special deal according to the very small print, and their advertising is misleading. I pride myself in reading all details usually before I purchase so I am disappointed with myself that I walked into this type of scam. I went online to cancel the program within the 14 day window, but there was no place to cancel it online. I called in to change it and was put on hold for 40 minutes, hitting the number 2 button frequently to stay on hold, and the phone hung up.

I called back and hit the button to change my plan instead and surprise- I got to speak to someone. They sent me to someone else. I waited again for quite some time. The next person told me that I could not cancel. I did not realize that I had signed up for an auto-delivery plan. I missed that small print within the specialized plan advertised. The plan was cancelled with an expensive cancellation fee. There is NO WAY that food was worth the $500 for one month. My son gained weight on the plan which was basically all processed foods. The customer service was very poor.

The customer service representative told me that they are NOT required to put cancellation information on their website by state laws. He also stated that I needed to read the "small print" in the terms and conditions. I believe that Nutrisystem has misleading advertising. Be careful what you are purchasing! They set it up so you cannot cancel and you are most likely, not getting the special deal as advertised.

Hello Krista,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that you have had issues with calling to end the plan. We would be happy to see how we can help. Will you please send us an email to consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the full name and phone number connected? Be sure to reference this review. We hope to hear form you soon!

The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

My wife and I cancelled during our first order. And for one reason. The food is "not" delicious as they would have you think. Most of the lunches and dinners are just plain lousy. Meaning they do not taste good. And to add insult to injury, they wouldn't let us cancel before we made a second monthly purchase unless we paid a $125.00 cancelation fee each ($250.00 total). They profess that the plan was %50 off. Hogwash. That's because they charge you (more than) double what it's worth to start with. It's easy to charge double, then give a %50 discount and pretend like you've given someone a good deal. Never again.

Hello Lonnie,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are sad to hear that you were unhappy with the meals. If You would like for us to look into your issue further, please email consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com with the details of your concerns along with the name and shipping addresses on your account. We wish you the best of luck. –The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Very helpful with gauging correct portion sizes, timing of meals. Contacting monthly regarding changes in the 4 weeks shipment. Payment for the plan is automatic from the chosen bank account. Meals are preplanned for you, however you can make changes wash month. I did not find a need to alter the suggested plan.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking time to write your review. We appreciate your positive feedback about your experience on the program. If there is anything else we can do for you please email us at consumerexperience@nutrisystem.com. We are happy to help! Have a great day!

The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team