Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.58/5

Noom is a personalized weight loss app with access to coaching in your pocket! Their habit changing solution includes meal-plans, snacks and exercise tracking designed to fit individual lifestyle. Their custom plans are created using your unique goals and needs, teaching you a lifetime of healthy habits. Take Noom's 30 second quiz and start your customized plan today!

BOTTOM LINE

Noom is a weight loss app developed by registered dietitians and nutritionists. Through the app, users can log their meals, snacks and activities and get personalized support.

PROS

• Community support
  • Free trial period
  • Personalized coaching

CONS

• Dieticians aren’t available 24/7

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

What is Noom?

Noom is a mobile-based wellness program that encourages long-term healthy eating habits. Through the Noom app, you can get personalized, one-on-one coaching from a health expert, log meals and snacks, record your exercise sessions and track your weight loss progress. Dieters can also access interactive articles, quizzes and the Noom online community for motivation and support. Other Noom benefits include an in-app pedometer and a log for monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar.

How does Noom work?

Noom works by motivating you to change your behavior. It starts with a 30-second evaluation to determine your goals and needs. An algorithm then determines your individualized weight loss plan.

Noom dieters don’t have to worry about food exclusions or banned foods. Instead, foods are assigned a color — green, yellow or red — to indicate how much they help you reach your goal.

• Green: Green foods have the least calories and the highest amount of nutrients. Most green foods are vegetables and whole grains. Noom dieters can eat an unlimited amount of green foods.
  • Yellow: Yellow foods are less healthy than green foods but can be enjoyed in moderate proportions. Many yellow foods are starches, lean meats and dairy products.
  • Red: Red foods are the highest in calories and have the least healthy nutrients. Most red foods are red meats and dessert dishes. Red foods aren’t totally off-limits but should be eaten sparingly.

Users track what they eat, set goals and record progress through Noom’s mobile app. The app encourages you to set achievable goals and keeps you accountable during the 16-week program.

Noom programs

Noom has two programs: the Healthy Weight Program and the Diabetes Management Program.

• The Health Weight Program is made of four stages over 16 weeks: learning, practicing, advanced learning and mastery. Participants receive easy-to-follow tasks and track their progress through the app. Users also benefit from feedback and encouragement from their personal support coach and peers.
  • The Diabetes Management Program offers similar support but focuses on the carbohydrate content of the foods you consume. The diabetes program is recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which requires programs to meet certain criteria to qualify. These criteria include program participation, curriculum review and other success metrics.

Is Noom worth it?

Noom is worth it if you want to lose weight and don’t mind logging everything in your phone. A popular app among millennials, Noom gives many dieters the motivation and support they need to change their habits for the better.

Noom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

The support from my assigned coach was inconsistent. I was never assigned to any support groups. The psychology behind the program is good, but the cheeky writing and constant hashtags are awful to read. I found it hard to take the program seriously. Like WW much better.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I tried it on New Years. I only lost 2 pounds. But I was so hungry all the time. Psychologically the program was helping because I was limited to 800 calories/meal a day. What? I was constantly worrying about going over the limit. But my stomach was growling all the time. Plus there was no one on the app to reach out to. Even if I tried. The coach I was assigned to was never there to help me. So I quit because I am unsatisfied.

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I am subscribed to Noom but lost the articles. I can't access the email address to let the company know I need to have the articles resumed. There should be a better way to get help. Otherwise it's ok.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

I have been on this weight loss journey for 6 months. It has done me wonders. I have lost over 35 lb. This is a very, very good program to be on. I am going to notify my relatives so they can get in on the program. I recommend this program to everyone that wants to lose weight. This is a great start.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Noom is a very different experience from every other system out there. It is an education and investigation into your triggers. Because you’re being taught every day, you become more aware of your eating and movement. They have a online chat support group that you interact with as you go through the steps. The trouble is, everyone is on the same chat. So, if you are on module 2, you are told to go to the group and post your goals (for example) but someone from module 10 is posting eating triggers or some other thing. As a result, there is no real continuity of dialogue in the group.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I signed up during the end of December for the rock-bottom price of 80 dollars+ for a whole year and I have to say I absolutely LOVE the program. I’ve lost 5 lbs BUT the best is the psychological tips/tricks. I am a self-professed book-nerd and a librarian so this program is almost tailor made for people like me. Trust me when I tell you they have done their homework! 8-9 minutes in the morning (or whenever) and it’s motivating. I honestly think people don’t know what they are doing when they say that there is no communication during the free trial or needing to cancel. I actually cancelled a few times before I finally decided to do the program (the fabulous value after Christmas helped!) and if you just follow their instructions cancellation is easy.

But you must follow instructions. Nobody wants to log meals but, trust me, it works to make you accountable and their system for logging is efficient and super helpful. I have a group coach and a personal coach and they are there when I need them but don’t overly oversee you. I appreciate that because life is busy. I’m really not much of a joiner but my group, with both men and women, really help my motivation by posting their hang-ups about food and their accomplishments. This may sound condescending but I think Noom works best for intellectual/analytical type people but I’m sure, if they put forth the effort, it could work for anyone. I’m on a year-long journey of self-care, healthy weight loss and mental health too. Noom helps. I’m impressed with their program.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

First, I’ve tried EVERYTHING out there! And any “diet” generally works if you stick to it. With that said, NOOM is easy and educational. I began Halloween 2020. I’ve lost 13 pounds (15 to go) and more importantly I’ve learned how to be mindful of my thoughts and actions. There are no food restrictions though your food decisions are smarter. The app is a cinch to use. They integrate stories, research stats, quizzes, in a way that personalizes every aspect of your progress. There are visuals like graphs depicting your weight loss or gain (it happens and you understand why), motivating tools all w a sense of humor (sometimes goofy) and a coach plus group for you to partake in as much or little as you’d like.

I look forward to getting on the scale every morning and before NOOM I would always close my eyes at the dr office. I recommend the 2 week trial. I think one of the reasons they offer that is that of course NOOM isn’t for everyone. I’ve dealt w their customer service and they are outstanding. It’s FUN, it’s so AFFORDABLE and it WORKS!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I installed the app about a month ago and I have to say that I like it a lot! The app offers lessons on the psychology of why we overeat and offers behavioral solutions to managing what you eat... These lessons do last a lifetime and, in my opinion, are definitely worth the subscription cost. Healthcare is so expensive; I'd rather pay some now than the big bucks if I ever succumb to a chronic illness because I'm overweight.

As someone who is mid-twenties, I didn't mind the turnaround time with the personal coach. It can take a day to get a reply, but that doesn't bother me... I'm not asking what I'm going to eat for lunch that day, so it's fine to wait. I enjoy the group chat as well; if you participate in it and stick with it, it does help. I've definitely lost weight with Noom and have become more educated about nutrition.

The classification of foods can be frustrating (nuts are classed as red), but it does help in understanding how much you should eat. A cup of fruit or veg is fine, a cup of meat (classed as yellow) is kind of pushing it, a cup of almonds is way too many almonds (800 plus calories). The food ranking helps you be very aware of what you're eating, and it has really helped me lose weight. I'm giving a five star review overall. The app isn't perfect, but the lessons and the food tracking is optimal for someone learning about nutrition and looking for good, lifelong habits.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Lost 90 lbs in 8 months. I have read many reviews about Noom and wanted to add my own. First off, this is not magic. You need to be ready and willing to lose weight. I have wanted to lose weight for years but just did not know where to start. There are so many diets that restrict this or restrict that and this diet does not take anything away completely. Maybe it is because I work in technology but I found the app on my phone giving me advice, allowing me to input my meals and giving my articles to read very helpful. If you follow everything, you will lose weight. I have no doubt. If you do not, they have both individual and group coaches and fellow Noomers to get you back on track.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I read some of these other reviews and I don’t understand why people are saying they didn’t know they would be charged after two weeks. When I signed up, I knew the exact day I would be charged for the two week trial. My on-line coach has talked to me every day and then I got transferred to a goal specialist who has been great. I asked for grocery shopping lists and they sent them to me. The app is super easy to use and I spend 5-10 a day reading the articles and working through my day on the app. It is much easier than other reviews are saying it is. Yes, it’s expensive but it’s cheaper than being on meds for health related issues or paying for a gym membership. The only thing I wish was different is not having to pay for a meal plan. I feel like it should be included in the price, at least for a month or so.

Noom Company Information