3.70/5

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Noom is a personalized weight loss app with access to coaching in your pocket! Their habit changing solution includes meal-plans, snacks and exercise tracking designed to fit individual lifestyle. Their custom plans are created using your unique goals and needs, teaching you a lifetime of healthy habits. Take Noom's 30 second quiz and start your customized plan today!

BOTTOM LINE

Noom is a weight loss app developed by registered dietitians and nutritionists. Through the app, users can log their meals, snacks and activities and get personalized support.

PROS

• Personalized coaching
  • Community support
  • Inspires healthy eating habits
  • Free trial period

CONS

• Dieticians aren’t available 24/7
  • $45 monthly fee

What is Noom?

Noom is a mobile-based wellness program that encourages long-term healthy eating habits. Through the Noom app, you can get personalized, one-on-one coaching from a health expert, log meals and snacks, record your exercise sessions and track your weight loss progress. Dieters can also access interactive articles, quizzes and the Noom online community for motivation and support. Other Noom benefits include an in-app pedometer and a log for monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar.

How does Noom work?

Noom works by motivating you to change your behavior. It starts with a 30-second evaluation to determine your goals and needs. An algorithm then determines your individualized weight loss plan.

Noom dieters don’t have to worry about food exclusions or banned foods. Instead, foods are assigned a color — green, yellow or red — to indicate how much they help you reach your goal.

• Green: Green foods have the least calories and the highest amount of nutrients. Most green foods are vegetables and whole grains. Noom dieters can eat an unlimited amount of green foods.
  • Yellow: Yellow foods are less healthy than green foods but can be enjoyed in moderate proportions. Many yellow foods are starches, lean meats and dairy products.
  • Red: Red foods are the highest in calories and have the least healthy nutrients. Most red foods are red meats and dessert dishes. Red foods aren’t totally off-limits but should be eaten sparingly.

Users track what they eat, set goals and record progress through Noom’s mobile app. The app encourages you to set achievable goals and keeps you accountable during the 16-week program.

Noom programs

Noom has two programs: the Healthy Weight Program and the Diabetes Management Program.

• The Health Weight Program is made of four stages over 16 weeks: learning, practicing, advanced learning and mastery. Participants receive easy-to-follow tasks and track their progress through the app. Users also benefit from feedback and encouragement from their personal support coach and peers.
  • The Diabetes Management Program offers similar support but focuses on the carbohydrate content of the foods you consume. The diabetes program is recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which requires programs to meet certain criteria to qualify. These criteria include program participation, curriculum review and other success metrics.

Is Noom worth it?

Noom is worth it if you want to lose weight and don’t mind logging everything in your phone. A popular app among millennials, Noom gives many dieters the motivation and support they need to change their habits for the better.

Noom Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Noom advertises themselves as a convenient millennial friendly phone app with a weekly personal coach and a daily support group. My weekly coach gives me such automated boilerplate feedback I can't even tell if they're real or a robot. Literally. There are no tips or genuine feedback in my coach's responses either, only positive support, which sounds great, except I'm looking for a health coach not a cheerleader. The group I was placed into is random. Despite being an older millennial myself, I'm possibly the youngest in the group (which is fine except it goes against how they market themselves). There are no similar traits among us except for the timing as to when we joined the app. Groups of people with similar obstacles, stages of life, hobbies, ANYTHING, would make more sense.

Place people together with some sort of intention, Noom, come on! I have nothing to talk to my group about and frequently feel like I'm the only one even using the group option as most of my group doesn't participate, and those that do don't seem to understand threads. I tried finding contact information for somebody at Noom to express these thoughts and to see about getting moved into a more active group, but could find nothing. No genuine real person to email or call.

After stumbling around their website I discovered their careers page. Aha! The money I'm paying for this app is going everywhere but to the services I'm actually paying for. Instead it's going to things like free catered daily meals for the staff, retreats, yoga, entertainment and happy hours. They finish up this "culture" page by promising "they work too" which is cute, because that's exactly the realization I came to in my head. Not enough actual work is being done. I'm paying for their perks, not their service. I'm annoyed to see where my money is going as I sit on this app which, without the people component, is nothing more than a food tracker with a few recipes and articles. Can somebody at Noom please break away from the lobster lunch (literally what their picture is of) and draft a new procedure for formulating support groups? Thanks.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

It really did start out good, my own enthusiasm was the driving force initially. Then came “goal specialist”, maybe I am naive, but I bought into the once a week emails asking what I was going to improve on....then one week I didn’t answer right away and got a “just checking in on our last email.” Missed another email and got “checking in on our last email.”

I realized I was paying $100 for a bot to guide my weight loss! The redemption is in the group-they are honest with their struggles and offer motivation. When I emailed Noom through the website about my issue with bots and the “goal specialist” auto-replies, I got an auto-generated email saying my subscription had been cancelled! So a bot’s algorithm picked up from my email asking for help that I wanted to cancel. Suspicion confirmed! With so many subscribers, it’s ok to Noom, some of us are collateral damage.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I was supposed to be on a 4 month program. I was told it would $59. They then charged me an additional $10. Then I log in and notice that once my 2 weeks is up, they are charging me $139.32. I have no clue for what and nobody can tell me anything. Website refers to coach. Coach refers to website. Myfitnesspal.com is much better.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I thought I was on a free trial, and at the end of two weeks I would be notified that I could either sign up to continue it, and that would include a fee of an unknown amount, or I could decline to subscribe, and that would be it. No. That is not what happened. I was automatically signed up and a fee of $99 was charged, plus a $10 fee for who knows what. Seems you can't get anything refunded either. I would not have signed up for this after the 2 week trial because it is basically a log-in of your daily calorie intake, and I can do that myself. Definitely not worth $109.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

The Noom weight loss program is BS. First of all, you are not in contact with an actual human "coach." A computer generated generic text is sent to you and it is obvious because the context didn't match up with my side of the conversation. The "group" portion of the program never materialized. The before and after photos of alleged Noom users does not show anyone being thinner, just a different angle and better lighting. These photos are intermittently inserted into the daily "lessons." Anyone can limit their calories and lose weight.

The "education" portion of the program can also be found by executing a simple google search on how to lose weight or why one would become overweight in the first place. There is nothing revolutionary about the information provided. $59 charge for a exercise and diet plan which also can be found for free with a google search. There is absolutely NOTHING individualized about this other than a great effort by Noom to separate the consumer from their money. Save your money and utilize the free information available online.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Hello, I just signed up for the trial. They got me for $105.19. I never would have signed up for the monthly fee. I never got any information on monthly fees etc. I still don't know what the $105.19 is for, as I don't see that amount in the website for monthly fees. This is a pure scam!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Noom was easy to follow and provided structure. Behavioral changes increased the likelihood of follow through. Having an app on my phone allowed me to stay on top of activity and food intake. Great support system and I was able to lose 30 pounds.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

This did not work for me, I think it's because I'm homebound. I never got extra calories for walking or exercise, so I was stuck at 1200 cals. and hungry. I started overeating in response.

Noom Company Information