Get Started

3.4/5 (698 ratings)

About Noom

Noom is a personalized weight loss app with access to coaching in your pocket! Their habit changing solution includes meal-plans, snacks and exercise tracking designed to fit individual lifestyle. Their custom plans are created using your unique goals and needs, teaching you a lifetime of healthy habits. Take Noom's 30 second quiz and start your customized plan today!

Pros

• Community support
  • Free trial period
  • Personalized coaching

Cons

• Dieticians aren’t available 24/7

Bottom Line

Noom is a weight loss app developed by registered dietitians and nutritionists. Through the app, users can log their meals, snacks and activities and get personalized support.

What is Noom?

Noom is a mobile-based wellness program that encourages long-term healthy eating habits. Through the Noom app, you can get personalized, one-on-one coaching from a health expert, log meals and snacks, record your exercise sessions and track your weight loss progress. Dieters can also access interactive articles, quizzes and the Noom online community for motivation and support. Other Noom benefits include an in-app pedometer and a log for monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar.

How does Noom work?

Noom works by motivating you to change your behavior. It starts with a 30-second evaluation to determine your goals and needs. An algorithm then determines your individualized weight loss plan.

Noom dieters don’t have to worry about food exclusions or banned foods. Instead, foods are assigned a color — green, yellow or red — to indicate how much they help you reach your goal.

• Green: Green foods have the least calories and the highest amount of nutrients. Most green foods are vegetables and whole grains. Noom dieters can eat an unlimited amount of green foods.
  • Yellow: Yellow foods are less healthy than green foods but can be enjoyed in moderate proportions. Many yellow foods are starches, lean meats and dairy products.
  • Red: Red foods are the highest in calories and have the least healthy nutrients. Most red foods are red meats and dessert dishes. Red foods aren’t totally off-limits but should be eaten sparingly.

Users track what they eat, set goals and record progress through Noom’s mobile app. The app encourages you to set achievable goals and keeps you accountable during the 16-week program.

Noom programs

Noom has two programs: the Healthy Weight Program and the Diabetes Management Program.

• The Health Weight Program is made of four stages over 16 weeks: learning, practicing, advanced learning and mastery. Participants receive easy-to-follow tasks and track their progress through the app. Users also benefit from feedback and encouragement from their personal support coach and peers.
  • The Diabetes Management Program offers similar support but focuses on the carbohydrate content of the foods you consume. The diabetes program is recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which requires programs to meet certain criteria to qualify. These criteria include program participation, curriculum review and other success metrics.

Is Noom worth it?

Noom is worth it if you want to lose weight and don’t mind logging everything in your phone. A popular app among millennials, Noom gives many dieters the motivation and support they need to change their habits for the better.

Noom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Before Noom, I tried all the pills, drinks, quick diets, everything. They may have helped me shed a few pounds, but it always came back and I could never get to where I truly wanted to be. Noom’s focus isn’t 100% on weight loss. Noom cares about my overall health and well-being with things like portion control vs starving yourself, balancing your food by encouraging and teaching you to make healthy swaps all while enjoying your favorite treats, teaching you to make manageable and realistic goals, and even helping you track the simple stuff like water and your steps to mold you into a HEALTHIER you, not just a skinnier you.

By making these simple changes one by one, it doesn’t alter the way I live drastically to where I can only keep it up for a few weeks. I’m making life long changes that will help me become healthier and teach my children how to establish healthier habits from the beginning. I have lost 18lbs and have 13lbs to go to reach my goal and for the first time, it seems truly obtainable. Forget about the crash diets that promise you’ll lose the weight fast! Get with a program like Noom that helps you slow and steady get there with consistent results that will actually keep the weight off!

Noom response

We're so inspired by your dedication to your wellness, Kaelee! Keep up the great work!

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I am a woman in her late 20s who has struggled with anxiety and stress since college. I tried talk therapy, but would end up talking with my therapist like I talk to a friend… some good advice in there, but not a huge value add. I tried two different therapists, and the thought of the cost/time involved in looking for a new therapist was daunting and exhausting. I found Noom Mood on an Instagram ad. I was familiar with their weight loss program, but not Mood. For a free trial, why not try? I needed all the help I could get.

When I signed up, I did a brief survey about what’s been bothering me (stress/anxiety/work). Noom gives me daily exercises and brain tricks to teach me how to control my own anxiety/stress. I really do love that whenever I’m feeling stressed, I can open the app and have some reprise. It guides me to build new stress management skills into my daily routine. I love that it’s exercised based, and encourages daily engagement. I frankly don’t use the counselor chat feature much at all. The 0-3 calendar day reply is too slow for me, and I don’t like sharing these deep feelings I have via IM chat.

Noom Mood has greatly improved my confidence in managing my anxiety/stress. I highly recommend for anyone who wants to build stress and anxiety management into a routine and will be interested in all the clinically-proven psych tricks Noom shares. My one critique - I wish I could pay for it with my Health Savings Account! It is still worth every penny (and much cheaper and accessible than the 2x a month talk therapy visits I used to do).

Noom response

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your Noom Mood experience with us, Jennifer! We're honored to be a part of your mental wellness journey!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I absolutely love Noom and this app. It is helpful to have it at my fingertips in every situation. Logging is easy. Connecting is easy. I do miss the audio versions (they helped draw me in). Amazing! I think having it in app form has helped me tremendously, because it’s always close and always available. I can pull things up at restaurants to decide what fits into my calorie budget for the day. I can ask for help from my group or coach any time I need it. Loading my steps is tricky sometimes…It’s not always fast enough or strong enough to sync with my other app, but that’s the only thing that takes a hot second to load.

I am grateful for the recipes! These have helped me to plan fun new meals and grow some new taste buds. I love that all of the info is already logged in with the recipe so I know what of the 3 groups (green, yellow, red) I’m eating from and how much. This experience has been unlike any other. The psychology, information, options, and community have been life changing. I recommend this program to everybody (even those not struggling with weight, but wanting to learn more about their body and their relationship with food. Love love love this! Thank you Noom!

Noom response

Thanks so much for this feedback, Lauren! At a time when so many things feel complicated, we want wellness to be simple! Congratulations on all of your hard work!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

It still feels like a money maker rather than something that cares about weight loss. I’ve heard all these tips. So. Many. Times. From other weight loss apps. From weight loss programs at clinics. From my doctor. From just being a nurse. I think for someone who’s never attempted weight loss this might be all valuable. But for someone who has tried as much as I have and has not been successful, it just feels like you want to dump an entire toolbox on me then expect me to carry the load and perfectly work the tools in my life. Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome? You said you were different when you advertised to me. But you’re not. The “science” isn’t good enough here.

The outcomes have such a large margin for improvement. You say people who log their meals have the best outcomes, say this many people have lost weight on Noom, then tell me I’m part of only 3% on the app who actually log their meals? That doesn’t add up. That’s looking at your numbers for marketing, not the benefit of the client or with scientific scrutiny.

If I could make these tools work in my life I would. We need to have availability of human beings who are well rounded in mental health training/medical practice who can think outside the box. And we need them literally walking through this with us. Aside from that, you can’t help me when my child gets sick. Or when I need to rush them to 15 different holiday events. Those times I literally don’t have another minute in my day to use your tools. This society does not allow for one to focus on the self because we just want to collect our fees and go home. If you really wanted to help me lose weight, you’d help me take care of my children.

Original review: June 29, 2021

After gaining over 50 pounds post breast cancer treatment, I was trying to get the weight off. Nothing was working, or it would work initially, like Keto... But as soon as I came off, (it is not sustainable for the long term) I gained all the weight back and put on a few more! I was depressed and defeated. My Oncologist encouraged me to try Noom and told me several of his patients having this struggle were having great results with Noom long term. I was skeptical, but I went into Noom with full effort and determination. I could not believe that the weight started to come off slowly, but consistently.

My cravings went away. I am able to incorporate all foods and learned how to navigate restaurants without feeling deprived. I feel so much healthier physically and mentally! Noom works on the mental aspect of weight loss, which is why it is sustainable and becomes a lifestyle rather than a diet. My teenage daughter was 100 pounds overweight and started Noom after seeing my results. She has finally found the way to conquer obesity forever! She has never been able to stick to diets because they neglect the biggest piece for long-term success... the psychology of why we overeat or make bad choices. My daughter is well on her way with me and we plan to celebrate with a vacation to Hawaii when we hit our goal!

Noom makes keeping track of your eating easy! Noom motivates you to stay on course. Noom has forgiveness when you slip, which we all do, but does not let the slip turn into a landslide. Noom heals food addiction by working on your mental habits related to food. If I could give 6 stars I would. The honest truth... If you commit to Noom and believe you will succeed, you will! Both my daughter and I are proof and we still enjoy life to the fullest.

Noom response

We can see you've had quite the journey, Lisa, and have overcome some incredible difficulties on the way to your goals. You're an incredibly strong person and we are so grateful that you are part of the Noomily!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

With this App you are somewhat married to your phone throughout the day. Alerts start by 8a.m. You can choose how long you want to spend on the article reading and lessons they send you. The food log is a helpful tool. However, if you are on a budget this is not the app for you. I signed up for the "free trial" and was charged $18.37. I also signed up for a 3 month subscription for which I thought I would pay monthly at $29. Instead I was charged $96. Customer support is vague when contacted through the chat feature. Buyer beware and read everything! There's plenty of free apps that will be beneficial without the time consuming aspect.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Have been completely pleased with the Noom platform and approach. It has facilitated changes to how I manage my diet in a holistic way that I can sustain and make permanent. I have lost 12 lbs in a little over 4 weeks and am well on the way to my ultimate goal.

Noom response

We are so happy to hear that you're enjoying Noom's approach, Kevin! Those are some impressive results! Keep up the great work!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

In 2 months I have not lost one pound. I bought a digital scale and logged in my meals. Being winter I can’t go take a walk or exercise. I skipped meals, that did not work. I’m going to talk to my doctor about my thyroid. I wish I could get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

So far so good. My only complaint is the current week I’m at in the program. Every week up until now, have been small easy to digest daily activities and steps that help to reduce stress in very manageable and proactive ways. But this week of changing your bedtime habits for better sleep, requires making lots of changes all at once, which has been proven to be a good way to fail at making lasting change. Even Noom has addressed that and yet they stack all these changes in one week. It’s very counterproductive

Noom response

We're so glad to hear you're enjoying your Noom Mood experience so far, Riz, and we really appreciate your feedback regarding what you'd like to see improved. If we can help in any way, please feel free to email us at reviewsupport@noom.com. Happy Noomin'!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Perfect for me! I’ve struggled to find the right assistance for me, someone who needs to lose ten pounds and knows about health. I love the accountability and the articles. The issue for most people is that they know what to do, but find themselves not doing the things they know. That’s how Noom helps, with coaches and CBT targeted to get at the reasons you’ve failed in the past!

Noom response

We’re so happy to hear that you are finding success with Noom, Elizabeth! Keep up the motivation!

Noom Company Information