Get Started

3.0/5 (402 ratings)

About Noom

Noom is a personalized weight loss app with access to coaching in your pocket! Their habit changing solution includes meal-plans, snacks and exercise tracking designed to fit individual lifestyle. Their custom plans are created using your unique goals and needs, teaching you a lifetime of healthy habits. Take Noom's 30 second quiz and start your customized plan today!

Pros

• Community support
  • Free trial period
  • Personalized coaching

Cons

• Dieticians aren’t available 24/7

Bottom Line

Noom is a weight loss app developed by registered dietitians and nutritionists. Through the app, users can log their meals, snacks and activities and get personalized support.

What is Noom?

Noom is a mobile-based wellness program that encourages long-term healthy eating habits. Through the Noom app, you can get personalized, one-on-one coaching from a health expert, log meals and snacks, record your exercise sessions and track your weight loss progress. Dieters can also access interactive articles, quizzes and the Noom online community for motivation and support. Other Noom benefits include an in-app pedometer and a log for monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar.

How does Noom work?

Noom works by motivating you to change your behavior. It starts with a 30-second evaluation to determine your goals and needs. An algorithm then determines your individualized weight loss plan.

Noom dieters don’t have to worry about food exclusions or banned foods. Instead, foods are assigned a color — green, yellow or red — to indicate how much they help you reach your goal.

• Green: Green foods have the least calories and the highest amount of nutrients. Most green foods are vegetables and whole grains. Noom dieters can eat an unlimited amount of green foods.
  • Yellow: Yellow foods are less healthy than green foods but can be enjoyed in moderate proportions. Many yellow foods are starches, lean meats and dairy products.
  • Red: Red foods are the highest in calories and have the least healthy nutrients. Most red foods are red meats and dessert dishes. Red foods aren’t totally off-limits but should be eaten sparingly.

Users track what they eat, set goals and record progress through Noom’s mobile app. The app encourages you to set achievable goals and keeps you accountable during the 16-week program.

Noom programs

Noom has two programs: the Healthy Weight Program and the Diabetes Management Program.

• The Health Weight Program is made of four stages over 16 weeks: learning, practicing, advanced learning and mastery. Participants receive easy-to-follow tasks and track their progress through the app. Users also benefit from feedback and encouragement from their personal support coach and peers.
  • The Diabetes Management Program offers similar support but focuses on the carbohydrate content of the foods you consume. The diabetes program is recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which requires programs to meet certain criteria to qualify. These criteria include program participation, curriculum review and other success metrics.

Is Noom worth it?

Noom is worth it if you want to lose weight and don’t mind logging everything in your phone. A popular app among millennials, Noom gives many dieters the motivation and support they need to change their habits for the better.

Noom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I started Noom after my third child was done breastfeeding. I was the heaviest I had weighed in my life and wanted a change. Through Noom I lost 27lb and 6” to my waist. The program is so simple and amazing. I received diets and exercises as well as coaches to talk with and ask for help. The weight loss is slow and steady and the lessons are easy to follow. I’m done with the program and almost to my goal weight. I have continued to lose weight, and with the help of my coach, upon leaving the program, I have a plan for future goals. If you’re on the fence about Noom take the plunge it’s so worth it!

Noom response

Wow! That was wonderful to read, Jamie! We're so happy to help you achieve your goals. Thank you for being part of the Noomily!

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2021

After gaining over 50 pounds post breast cancer treatment, I was trying to get the weight off. Nothing was working, or it would work initially, like Keto... But as soon as I came off, (it is not sustainable for the long term) I gained all the weight back and put on a few more! I was depressed and defeated. My Oncologist encouraged me to try Noom and told me several of his patients having this struggle were having great results with Noom long term. I was skeptical, but I went into Noom with full effort and determination. I could not believe that the weight started to come off slowly, but consistently.

My cravings went away. I am able to incorporate all foods and learned how to navigate restaurants without feeling deprived. I feel so much healthier physically and mentally! Noom works on the mental aspect of weight loss, which is why it is sustainable and becomes a lifestyle rather than a diet. My teenage daughter was 100 pounds overweight and started Noom after seeing my results. She has finally found the way to conquer obesity forever! She has never been able to stick to diets because they neglect the biggest piece for long-term success... the psychology of why we overeat or make bad choices. My daughter is well on her way with me and we plan to celebrate with a vacation to Hawaii when we hit our goal!

Noom makes keeping track of your eating easy! Noom motivates you to stay on course. Noom has forgiveness when you slip, which we all do, but does not let the slip turn into a landslide. Noom heals food addiction by working on your mental habits related to food. If I could give 6 stars I would. The honest truth... If you commit to Noom and believe you will succeed, you will! Both my daughter and I are proof and we still enjoy life to the fullest.

Noom response

We can see you've had quite the journey, Lisa, and have overcome some incredible difficulties on the way to your goals. You're an incredibly strong person and we are so grateful that you are part of the Noomily!

Original review: June 1, 2021

I'm not sure about the negative reviews, though I thought it might have to do with a few excessive treats going unlogged... Nevertheless, I was amazed how in a few days, I began losing near a pound a day. That may not seem like much, but it quickly accrues. I went from 256 to 243 in little more than a week. And then I lost my battery for a couple weeks, still able to follow with what I've learned, but I cant log or learn more till my phone returns. However, I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in losing weight.

Noom response

This is SO awesome, Michael! You are making phenomenal progress, and we are so grateful to be a part of your journey! Great work!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I signed up during the end of December for the rock-bottom price of 80 dollars+ for a whole year and I have to say I absolutely LOVE the program. I’ve lost 5 lbs BUT the best is the psychological tips/tricks. I am a self-professed book-nerd and a librarian so this program is almost tailor made for people like me. Trust me when I tell you they have done their homework! 8-9 minutes in the morning (or whenever) and it’s motivating. I honestly think people don’t know what they are doing when they say that there is no communication during the free trial or needing to cancel. I actually cancelled a few times before I finally decided to do the program (the fabulous value after Christmas helped!) and if you just follow their instructions cancellation is easy.

But you must follow instructions. Nobody wants to log meals but, trust me, it works to make you accountable and their system for logging is efficient and super helpful. I have a group coach and a personal coach and they are there when I need them but don’t overly oversee you. I appreciate that because life is busy. I’m really not much of a joiner but my group, with both men and women, really help my motivation by posting their hang-ups about food and their accomplishments. This may sound condescending but I think Noom works best for intellectual/analytical type people but I’m sure, if they put forth the effort, it could work for anyone. I’m on a year-long journey of self-care, healthy weight loss and mental health too. Noom helps. I’m impressed with their program.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

First, I’ve tried EVERYTHING out there! And any “diet” generally works if you stick to it. With that said, NOOM is easy and educational. I began Halloween 2020. I’ve lost 13 pounds (15 to go) and more importantly I’ve learned how to be mindful of my thoughts and actions. There are no food restrictions though your food decisions are smarter. The app is a cinch to use. They integrate stories, research stats, quizzes, in a way that personalizes every aspect of your progress. There are visuals like graphs depicting your weight loss or gain (it happens and you understand why), motivating tools all w a sense of humor (sometimes goofy) and a coach plus group for you to partake in as much or little as you’d like.

I look forward to getting on the scale every morning and before NOOM I would always close my eyes at the dr office. I recommend the 2 week trial. I think one of the reasons they offer that is that of course NOOM isn’t for everyone. I’ve dealt w their customer service and they are outstanding. It’s FUN, it’s so AFFORDABLE and it WORKS!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I bought the Noom capsules that they recommend you take three times a day. If you have belly fat they recommend taking two at each meal. I bought three bottles that lasted about three months. Felt nothing, no side effects, no weight loss. Total waste of money. I did watch my diet and I have "The Mirror" and I'm very active around the house and garden. If someone loses weight on Noom it's because they took care of themselves, not because of Noom.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I generally wanted this program to work; the app was easy to use, the information was excellent, and easy to understand. My issue was not about billing or the bot coach like many others…. Mine was with the actual product. The initial assessment told me I would lose 25 lbs in 6 months. A reasonable expectation; however, as you dive deeper into the questionnaire, I was now able to fast track my weight loss down to 4 months… impressive. How is this possible? It only took me three days to realize the insanely inflated calorie totals, such as the 150 calories I was charged for my 100 calorie pack. There were the 175 calories I was charged for a 30 calorie snack. My 2800 calorie-a-day allowance only had me eating 2475 calories, if you figure it all out. The further I looked, I was charged the calorie cost of 2 hard-boiled eggs for every 1 that I ate. It’s easy to understand how members hit weight loss goals, the total intake of daily calories is being grossly shortchanged.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Tried for 2 months with limited results of about 5 lbs. Calorie goal was only 1200 calories but my "coach" encouraged me to eat more. The app is weak; not easy to enter foods and foods in database were lacking. The daily lessons were quick, somewhat informative but often silly. The coach checked in once/week and didn't offer much coaching other to eat more. I am going back to FitnessPal which is a much better system that tracks carbs, sugars, etc. Noom needs to strengthen their database.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I followed Noom religiously, and not only did I not see any change in my weight, their "coaches" didn't help me at ALL. Noom is not cheap, so I was expecting more from their coaches and educational materials. The "coach" was a total joke--unresponsive and only gave me the most generic replies. This app is basically a $50 MyFitnessPal (which is free). I regret spending money on Noom. I think this app could be effective if you are morbidly obese (as any diet change would show you a huge change in weight). But for those of average size, you are better off using that money on a REAL nutritionist.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Noom partners with OneTrust to purchase, sell, and disseminate your personal information. To stop this, they require even more personal information. They require your government ID! Totally shady and ridiculous.

Noom Company Information