Get Started

2.6/5 (296 ratings)

About Noom

Noom is a personalized weight loss app with access to coaching in your pocket! Their habit changing solution includes meal-plans, snacks and exercise tracking designed to fit individual lifestyle. Their custom plans are created using your unique goals and needs, teaching you a lifetime of healthy habits. Take Noom's 30 second quiz and start your customized plan today!

Pros

• Community support
  • Free trial period
  • Personalized coaching

Cons

• Dieticians aren’t available 24/7

Bottom Line

Noom is a weight loss app developed by registered dietitians and nutritionists. Through the app, users can log their meals, snacks and activities and get personalized support.

What is Noom?

Noom is a mobile-based wellness program that encourages long-term healthy eating habits. Through the Noom app, you can get personalized, one-on-one coaching from a health expert, log meals and snacks, record your exercise sessions and track your weight loss progress. Dieters can also access interactive articles, quizzes and the Noom online community for motivation and support. Other Noom benefits include an in-app pedometer and a log for monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar.

How does Noom work?

Noom works by motivating you to change your behavior. It starts with a 30-second evaluation to determine your goals and needs. An algorithm then determines your individualized weight loss plan.

Noom dieters don’t have to worry about food exclusions or banned foods. Instead, foods are assigned a color — green, yellow or red — to indicate how much they help you reach your goal.

• Green: Green foods have the least calories and the highest amount of nutrients. Most green foods are vegetables and whole grains. Noom dieters can eat an unlimited amount of green foods.
  • Yellow: Yellow foods are less healthy than green foods but can be enjoyed in moderate proportions. Many yellow foods are starches, lean meats and dairy products.
  • Red: Red foods are the highest in calories and have the least healthy nutrients. Most red foods are red meats and dessert dishes. Red foods aren’t totally off-limits but should be eaten sparingly.

Users track what they eat, set goals and record progress through Noom’s mobile app. The app encourages you to set achievable goals and keeps you accountable during the 16-week program.

Noom programs

Noom has two programs: the Healthy Weight Program and the Diabetes Management Program.

• The Health Weight Program is made of four stages over 16 weeks: learning, practicing, advanced learning and mastery. Participants receive easy-to-follow tasks and track their progress through the app. Users also benefit from feedback and encouragement from their personal support coach and peers.
  • The Diabetes Management Program offers similar support but focuses on the carbohydrate content of the foods you consume. The diabetes program is recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which requires programs to meet certain criteria to qualify. These criteria include program participation, curriculum review and other success metrics.

Is Noom worth it?

Noom is worth it if you want to lose weight and don’t mind logging everything in your phone. A popular app among millennials, Noom gives many dieters the motivation and support they need to change their habits for the better.

Noom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?

Original review: June 29, 2021

After gaining over 50 pounds post breast cancer treatment, I was trying to get the weight off. Nothing was working, or it would work initially, like Keto... But as soon as I came off, (it is not sustainable for the long term) I gained all the weight back and put on a few more! I was depressed and defeated. My Oncologist encouraged me to try Noom and told me several of his patients having this struggle were having great results with Noom long term. I was skeptical, but I went into Noom with full effort and determination. I could not believe that the weight started to come off slowly, but consistently.

My cravings went away. I am able to incorporate all foods and learned how to navigate restaurants without feeling deprived. I feel so much healthier physically and mentally! Noom works on the mental aspect of weight loss, which is why it is sustainable and becomes a lifestyle rather than a diet. My teenage daughter was 100 pounds overweight and started Noom after seeing my results. She has finally found the way to conquer obesity forever! She has never been able to stick to diets because they neglect the biggest piece for long-term success... the psychology of why we overeat or make bad choices. My daughter is well on her way with me and we plan to celebrate with a vacation to Hawaii when we hit our goal!

Noom makes keeping track of your eating easy! Noom motivates you to stay on course. Noom has forgiveness when you slip, which we all do, but does not let the slip turn into a landslide. Noom heals food addiction by working on your mental habits related to food. If I could give 6 stars I would. The honest truth... If you commit to Noom and believe you will succeed, you will! Both my daughter and I are proof and we still enjoy life to the fullest.

Noom response

We can see you've had quite the journey, Lisa, and have overcome some incredible difficulties on the way to your goals. You're an incredibly strong person and we are so grateful that you are part of the Noomily!

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2021

I'm not sure about the negative reviews, though I thought it might have to do with a few excessive treats going unlogged... Nevertheless, I was amazed how in a few days, I began losing near a pound a day. That may not seem like much, but it quickly accrues. I went from 256 to 243 in little more than a week. And then I lost my battery for a couple weeks, still able to follow with what I've learned, but I cant log or learn more till my phone returns. However, I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in losing weight.

Noom response

This is SO awesome, Michael! You are making phenomenal progress, and we are so grateful to be a part of your journey! Great work!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I signed up during the end of December for the rock-bottom price of 80 dollars+ for a whole year and I have to say I absolutely LOVE the program. I’ve lost 5 lbs BUT the best is the psychological tips/tricks. I am a self-professed book-nerd and a librarian so this program is almost tailor made for people like me. Trust me when I tell you they have done their homework! 8-9 minutes in the morning (or whenever) and it’s motivating. I honestly think people don’t know what they are doing when they say that there is no communication during the free trial or needing to cancel. I actually cancelled a few times before I finally decided to do the program (the fabulous value after Christmas helped!) and if you just follow their instructions cancellation is easy.

But you must follow instructions. Nobody wants to log meals but, trust me, it works to make you accountable and their system for logging is efficient and super helpful. I have a group coach and a personal coach and they are there when I need them but don’t overly oversee you. I appreciate that because life is busy. I’m really not much of a joiner but my group, with both men and women, really help my motivation by posting their hang-ups about food and their accomplishments. This may sound condescending but I think Noom works best for intellectual/analytical type people but I’m sure, if they put forth the effort, it could work for anyone. I’m on a year-long journey of self-care, healthy weight loss and mental health too. Noom helps. I’m impressed with their program.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

First, I’ve tried EVERYTHING out there! And any “diet” generally works if you stick to it. With that said, NOOM is easy and educational. I began Halloween 2020. I’ve lost 13 pounds (15 to go) and more importantly I’ve learned how to be mindful of my thoughts and actions. There are no food restrictions though your food decisions are smarter. The app is a cinch to use. They integrate stories, research stats, quizzes, in a way that personalizes every aspect of your progress. There are visuals like graphs depicting your weight loss or gain (it happens and you understand why), motivating tools all w a sense of humor (sometimes goofy) and a coach plus group for you to partake in as much or little as you’d like.

I look forward to getting on the scale every morning and before NOOM I would always close my eyes at the dr office. I recommend the 2 week trial. I think one of the reasons they offer that is that of course NOOM isn’t for everyone. I’ve dealt w their customer service and they are outstanding. It’s FUN, it’s so AFFORDABLE and it WORKS!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I installed the app about a month ago and I have to say that I like it a lot! The app offers lessons on the psychology of why we overeat and offers behavioral solutions to managing what you eat... These lessons do last a lifetime and, in my opinion, are definitely worth the subscription cost. Healthcare is so expensive; I'd rather pay some now than the big bucks if I ever succumb to a chronic illness because I'm overweight.

As someone who is mid-twenties, I didn't mind the turnaround time with the personal coach. It can take a day to get a reply, but that doesn't bother me... I'm not asking what I'm going to eat for lunch that day, so it's fine to wait. I enjoy the group chat as well; if you participate in it and stick with it, it does help. I've definitely lost weight with Noom and have become more educated about nutrition.

The classification of foods can be frustrating (nuts are classed as red), but it does help in understanding how much you should eat. A cup of fruit or veg is fine, a cup of meat (classed as yellow) is kind of pushing it, a cup of almonds is way too many almonds (800 plus calories). The food ranking helps you be very aware of what you're eating, and it has really helped me lose weight. I'm giving a five star review overall. The app isn't perfect, but the lessons and the food tracking is optimal for someone learning about nutrition and looking for good, lifelong habits.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 12, 2021

Overall I think Noom is a fair program, I did lose most of the weight I wanted to in the six months I subscribed. I would have renewed my subscription except during the last 3 months the app reset my meal streak back to zero four times, my course progress twice. All my data for these were lost. Noom tech support had no explanation for this and did nothing to recover my data. There was no effort to resolve the problem in any satisfactory way. I did receive emails apologizing if that counts for anything. If you need help counting calories and want limited group support Noom is okay for that, but if you want a solid way to track your progress and get recognition for your hard work go elsewhere.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 11, 2021

I joined Noom with a goal of losing 20 pounds. Put the app on my iPad and quickly loved the program, and lost 4 lbs the in first week. But, there were several technical glitches with the program: difficulty getting on to different pages, my weight being recorded incorrectly. (Eg. One day it said I gained 8 pounds!!!) Yesterday and today I could not take the lessons because it put me back to lesson one when I should have been starting the fourth lesson plan. Asked for help, instructions sent and followed, no success. Asked for help again, support person explained iPad is not compatible with Noom program. Need an iPhone! I feel betrayed and am furious. Noom needs to put this in their advertising, NOT compatible with the very popular iPad, you must have an iPhone. I had to quit a really good program because of their pathetic technical flaw! Furious.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 6, 2021

You sign up for 6 mos - which is fine. But then you start to realize that it is lacking in food/ diet choices - so there’s an extra fee for that. - Then you realize there is no direction for exercise program - oh but wait - there is an extra fee for that.... and so on and so on. Luckily I paid extra for a 1 week trial so I could cancel immediately. If you are serious about weight loss, this is not the app for you.

Original review: June 27, 2021

I started using Noom a couple of weeks ago. And I will tell you that this is the first time I have been able to lose weight in years. However, one day the app became unresponsive. After spending an hour and a half working with their "Support" people, I was told that I would need to uninstall and reinstall my app...which would DELETE EVERYTHING I HAVE LOGGED AND DONE SO FAR. (My weight loss, my meals, the courses I had completed..which take a long time). How can a company sell a product they clearly know does not work? This is a scam. Stay away from this program.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Noom is a fun program that uses Psychology to teach better eating habits. If you’re easily influenced by the power of suggestion the program will work for you. I enjoyed the daily readings. The advice is good and well written. I lost several pounds. The program wasn’t really enough for me to stay with and lose the thirty pounds I needed to lose. I was very successful with a keto diet though. Your own determination will decide what works for you.

Noom response

We are so happy you've enjoyed the science and psychology behind Noom! Those are some impressive results! Keep it up because you are doing great!

Noom Company Information