ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.35/5

Noom is a personalized weight loss app with access to coaching in your pocket! Their habit changing solution includes meal-plans, snacks and exercise tracking designed to fit individual lifestyle. Their custom plans are created using your unique goals and needs, teaching you a lifetime of healthy habits. Take Noom's 30 second quiz and start your customized plan today!

BOTTOM LINE

Noom is a weight loss app developed by registered dietitians and nutritionists. Through the app, users can log their meals, snacks and activities and get personalized support.

PROS

• Personalized coaching
  • Community support
  • Inspires healthy eating habits
  • Free trial period

CONS

• Dieticians aren’t available 24/7
  • $45 monthly fee

What is Noom?

Noom is a mobile-based wellness program that encourages long-term healthy eating habits. Through the Noom app, you can get personalized, one-on-one coaching from a health expert, log meals and snacks, record your exercise sessions and track your weight loss progress. Dieters can also access interactive articles, quizzes and the Noom online community for motivation and support. Other Noom benefits include an in-app pedometer and a log for monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar.

How does Noom work?

Noom works by motivating you to change your behavior. It starts with a 30-second evaluation to determine your goals and needs. An algorithm then determines your individualized weight loss plan.

Noom dieters don’t have to worry about food exclusions or banned foods. Instead, foods are assigned a color — green, yellow or red — to indicate how much they help you reach your goal.

• Green: Green foods have the least calories and the highest amount of nutrients. Most green foods are vegetables and whole grains. Noom dieters can eat an unlimited amount of green foods.
  • Yellow: Yellow foods are less healthy than green foods but can be enjoyed in moderate proportions. Many yellow foods are starches, lean meats and dairy products.
  • Red: Red foods are the highest in calories and have the least healthy nutrients. Most red foods are red meats and dessert dishes. Red foods aren’t totally off-limits but should be eaten sparingly.

Users track what they eat, set goals and record progress through Noom’s mobile app. The app encourages you to set achievable goals and keeps you accountable during the 16-week program.

Noom programs

Noom has two programs: the Healthy Weight Program and the Diabetes Management Program.

• The Health Weight Program is made of four stages over 16 weeks: learning, practicing, advanced learning and mastery. Participants receive easy-to-follow tasks and track their progress through the app. Users also benefit from feedback and encouragement from their personal support coach and peers.
  • The Diabetes Management Program offers similar support but focuses on the carbohydrate content of the foods you consume. The diabetes program is recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which requires programs to meet certain criteria to qualify. These criteria include program participation, curriculum review and other success metrics.

Is Noom worth it?

Noom is worth it if you want to lose weight and don’t mind logging everything in your phone. A popular app among millennials, Noom gives many dieters the motivation and support they need to change their habits for the better.

Noom Reviews

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

First glance it was kinda fun, answering the questions and getting feedback based on science.... What didn’t sit right was the price and talking to a computer generated response robot. I lost over 30 pounds before without an app and I was thinking why am I doing this??? I don’t need an app to tell me what is and isn’t healthy to eat lol. It’s a little confusing to navigate also. I canceled my subscription within an hour.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

They tell you that if you don’t open the app for three consistent days they will not charge you and then they still do charge you and they never tell you the amount, I’m a struggling student and they took 100 out of my account after I read the terms that said they wouldn’t. They have horrible customer service and I tried the plan once I could get a refund and it sucks. I didn’t lose a single pound. Scammers that don’t care about you just about money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Couldnt really follow the program. I had no idea there was going to be an automatic charge from my card after the trial. I was livid when i saw i had been charged $129 FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! I wish i had read these reviews before hand .

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I had high hopes for this app, given it has an approach towards the psychology of eating, fitness, etc. It is basically and automated "chat" with no genuine feedback and canned responses. Why call something a "chat" when in fact I am communication with an automated ibot? My first Check in I got a text and when I response to her questions--it took almost 3 days for her to respond. There is nothing inactive about this and in fact I was so discouraged, it made me even more stressed out...not the best. DON'T USE ZOOM-it will leave you even more frustrated about dieting, eating, etc...who needs that. And the categories are all over the place.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Noom offers a free 14 day trial however auto subscriptions are complete without your authorization and then they don’t want to refund you your money! Complete scam! They do a 2 month subscription. Charged me $99 dollars! Any service legitimate service would refund you back your money and stop the use services!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Noom?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Terrible app. Subpar diet program (compared to what's on YouTube and Google for free), and the free trial is a total scam. When it comes to logging meals and measuring macros, they are missing a lot compared to a free app like MyFitnessPal. Also, the app crashes literally every time I go to log a meal. They claim it's a 14 day trial and $150 after, but it says you have to use a chatbot to cancel which is only available M-F 9-5. Very dishonest way of getting my $150. The "health coach" is someone who sends you prewritten, generic, automated responses through im chat. It's not helpful at all. I tried to cancel before my trial was over but I was outside the business hours, so they refused to cancel my subscription and charged me the full $150. I've complained multiple times and they still refuse to refund me. Don't waste your time with this App.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I started to sign up for the program and they got my card number before I created an account and they are already sending me a receipt even though I didn't have an account. They said I had to use the app, but it won't let me log in to the app, so I can't cancel. Good scam they got going as you can't cancel on their website and they won't let you log into the app. Catch 22.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I gave a 1 star because you can't give a zero. I started a "FREE TRIAL OFFER" down loaded the APP and answered the questions. Of course they asked for credit card information but I could cancel anytime before the trial ended and not be charged. As I went through the steps it became clear to me that all the "Professional Counseling" is nothing but a computer program with "canned" answers and advice. within 30 minutes I "cancelled the service. the next day I was charged $10 by NOOM. It took 4 days for me to get an answer as to why I was charged $10 for a "FREE TRIAL". I was told that was the non-refunded fee for the FREE TRIAL. I have contacted my retained law office just in case this sham company tries to charge my credit card. Don't fall for this scam.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Shame Noom has a good product. Just dishonest in subscribing me after trial period WITHOUT my authority. No email, no warning. Now $219 out of pocket. And you guessed it. I’ve deleted the app from my phone because I feel treated badly. Has left a bad taste in my mouth. You would do better to shop around.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Yeah meanwhile I can't get customer service to reply if my life depended on it and there is no phone # for help. Started the trial and had to cancel within hours because there was an error in my email address in one field (had to cancel it because the help "person" is automated and just giving me stock answers.) So then I tried to resign up for the trial today. It took my credit card info BUT now is saying I can't use my email address. What the heck. Way to unmotivated someone before they even start. Customer service is no existent! So no I don't know if I have 2 trials, 1 trial or no trials. Either way I can't get into an account and they sure as hell better not charge me!!!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I had read some negative reviews and was skeptical, but decided to join the free trial program. I began losing weight immediately. The nutrition information was common sense, but it is what I needed to basically be mindful of what I was eating and how much. The readings about the psychological aspects of mindfulness, making choices, and feeling good about yourself were enlightening at first, but after 5 1/2 months, have grown old. There is a supportive online community of other participants, and group and individual coaches who pop in to see how things are going.

The green-yellow-red food ratings help to guide food choices, but may be too simplistic, as there are some red foods, like nuts, that in moderation, are nutritionally valid. Overall, I am very happy with the results. Could I do this on my own for free? Probably, but I tend to hold myself more accountable to something that I have paid for and that has a structured approach.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I tried Noom because I determined that it is a good program. I intended to sign up for 4 months and was pretty motivated to log my meals. I decided after the first week that the Noom app leaves a lot to be desired. The Noom app is made for use on iPhones. So if I use my iPad to log meals, I must read sideways while doing so. I was surprised and dismayed that the iPad doesn’t sync my food log with the app on my iPhone. And some of the calorie counts looked incorrect. After a week, I decided that I could save money and achieve similar or better success by using the Loseit app. Loseit sends motivational messages and they don’t try to pretend that it’s a person sending them. No doubt you will lose weight if you follow the Noom program. But you can lose weight if you follow any good program. Why pay $45/month when you can use better apps for free or for a small fee? I vote Noom???? Save your money.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Noom customer service is non-existent, and its enrollment practices are downright illegal. I signed up for a 10 day trial membership, which is what you have to do if you want to find out anything about the plan and its costs. Now I am billed on my credit card for $129! Then the only way you can cancel your membership is to download and install the Noom app on your phone. They have no other way for you to contact them. No customer service number, no reply email address that works, but they have no problem automatically billing your credit card for services they don't provide. It's ridiculous, and outrageously expensive. I hope some smart lawyer starts a class action lawsuit that I can participate in!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Last night at 8:00 I signed up for a Noom account on my laptop. With that account I set up a password. I got a text asking me to download the Noom App so I did. When I put my email and password in the App, it said the password was invalid. That was problem #1. I had that password for less than 5 minutes so I knew it was accurate. I clicked on the link to have my password reset and no reset email ever came. I also checked my spam and nothing. I clicked on the link multiple times and emailed their customer service 4 more times telling them their link wasn't working.

Finally today at 1:18 Rebecca from Noom emailed me back and sent me only the password reset link again which I tried multiple times to no avail. The only thing that worked in their system was the charge to my credit card for a 2 week trial. I want a full refund because I never did receive any service at all and I want them to fix the password reset link. This was so frustrating. After that first email from Rebecca, I replied to her 3 separate times and I never heard back at all. It's now almost 24 hours later and I have yet to be able to log in.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I sent a message saying I was done. I received no response. These people didn't send an email to my phone saying they were extending my service, from the trial to full service and they charged me for four months all at once on my credit card. The program didn't work half the time and the responses I received were computer generated. I had to reload the program to remove a membership I never signed up for.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The Noom plan is no different from programs like Sparkpeople or My FitnessPal, that you can get for free. In addition, logging my first meal, I noticed a wildly incorrect calorie count for Oatmeal. If something so basic is incorrect, I don't trust anything else from that company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I am currently on a Noom 14 day trial. So far this is just like Myfitnesspal, which is a free app. The Supposed coach always gives me canned responses for questions I ask, and they are usually delayed by a day or 2. There doesn't seem to be a genuine feeling of support. I know there a lot of mental challenges that Noom puts you through. I think I will be canceling my trial and moving on to myfitness pal, and signing up for Real appeal which has real live group video chats with a coach each week (52 weeks), and it is 100% free with my insurance.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Stick with WW or just follow any free online diet, Noom is a total scam, the "advisors" are bots and pretty much spew out the same pointless platitudes daily, I'm sure the "positive" reviews are made up by the actual 3 employees that run this scam out an office in NYC. Plus they screw you over with the fees, I got ripped off for $137 after I cancelled, I was going to call the state consumer agency but not worth the time, believe me you will be disappointed and broke when you finally cut the cord.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Noom advertises themselves as a convenient millennial friendly phone app with a weekly personal coach and a daily support group. My weekly coach gives me such automated boilerplate feedback I can't even tell if they're real or a robot. Literally. There are no tips or genuine feedback in my coach's responses either, only positive support, which sounds great, except I'm looking for a health coach not a cheerleader. The group I was placed into is random. Despite being an older millennial myself, I'm possibly the youngest in the group (which is fine except it goes against how they market themselves). There are no similar traits among us except for the timing as to when we joined the app. Groups of people with similar obstacles, stages of life, hobbies, ANYTHING, would make more sense.

Place people together with some sort of intention, Noom, come on! I have nothing to talk to my group about and frequently feel like I'm the only one even using the group option as most of my group doesn't participate, and those that do don't seem to understand threads. I tried finding contact information for somebody at Noom to express these thoughts and to see about getting moved into a more active group, but could find nothing. No genuine real person to email or call.

After stumbling around their website I discovered their careers page. Aha! The money I'm paying for this app is going everywhere but to the services I'm actually paying for. Instead it's going to things like free catered daily meals for the staff, retreats, yoga, entertainment and happy hours. They finish up this "culture" page by promising "they work too" which is cute, because that's exactly the realization I came to in my head. Not enough actual work is being done. I'm paying for their perks, not their service. I'm annoyed to see where my money is going as I sit on this app which, without the people component, is nothing more than a food tracker with a few recipes and articles. Can somebody at Noom please break away from the lobster lunch (literally what their picture is of) and draft a new procedure for formulating support groups? Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

It really did start out good, my own enthusiasm was the driving force initially. Then came “goal specialist”, maybe I am naive, but I bought into the once a week emails asking what I was going to improve on....then one week I didn’t answer right away and got a “just checking in on our last email.” Missed another email and got “checking in on our last email.”

I realized I was paying $100 for a bot to guide my weight loss! The redemption is in the group-they are honest with their struggles and offer motivation. When I emailed Noom through the website about my issue with bots and the “goal specialist” auto-replies, I got an auto-generated email saying my subscription had been cancelled! So a bot’s algorithm picked up from my email asking for help that I wanted to cancel. Suspicion confirmed! With so many subscribers, it’s ok to Noom, some of us are collateral damage.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I was supposed to be on a 4 month program. I was told it would $59. They then charged me an additional $10. Then I log in and notice that once my 2 weeks is up, they are charging me $139.32. I have no clue for what and nobody can tell me anything. Website refers to coach. Coach refers to website. Myfitnesspal.com is much better.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I thought I was on a free trial, and at the end of two weeks I would be notified that I could either sign up to continue it, and that would include a fee of an unknown amount, or I could decline to subscribe, and that would be it. No. That is not what happened. I was automatically signed up and a fee of $99 was charged, plus a $10 fee for who knows what. Seems you can't get anything refunded either. I would not have signed up for this after the 2 week trial because it is basically a log-in of your daily calorie intake, and I can do that myself. Definitely not worth $109.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

The Noom weight loss program is BS. First of all, you are not in contact with an actual human "coach." A computer generated generic text is sent to you and it is obvious because the context didn't match up with my side of the conversation. The "group" portion of the program never materialized. The before and after photos of alleged Noom users does not show anyone being thinner, just a different angle and better lighting. These photos are intermittently inserted into the daily "lessons." Anyone can limit their calories and lose weight.

The "education" portion of the program can also be found by executing a simple google search on how to lose weight or why one would become overweight in the first place. There is nothing revolutionary about the information provided. $59 charge for a exercise and diet plan which also can be found for free with a google search. There is absolutely NOTHING individualized about this other than a great effort by Noom to separate the consumer from their money. Save your money and utilize the free information available online.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Hello, I just signed up for the trial. They got me for $105.19. I never would have signed up for the monthly fee. I never got any information on monthly fees etc. I still don't know what the $105.19 is for, as I don't see that amount in the website for monthly fees. This is a pure scam!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Noom was easy to follow and provided structure. Behavioral changes increased the likelihood of follow through. Having an app on my phone allowed me to stay on top of activity and food intake. Great support system and I was able to lose 30 pounds.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

This did not work for me, I think it's because I'm homebound. I never got extra calories for walking or exercise, so I was stuck at 1200 cals. and hungry. I started overeating in response.

Noom Company Information