Weight Watchers

Compare Weight Loss Programs

Research top Weight Loss Programs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had to cancel my WW account because of unbelievable incompetence in the billing department. I had called at least 4 times to try and straighten out incorrect charges to my account. Each time I called, it would just get worse with more errors. By the end, I had just had enough and cancelled my account and credit card so they couldn't charge my account improperly anymore. I will never use WW again.

I canceled my subscription over a year ago. It was an unnecessarily complicated online process. Thinking it was done, I did not look for it in my automatic deductions but realized today, that I had been being charged the whole time. When I called, they said my subscription had never been canceled and that it was my problem. They canceled it (again) over the phone and said they would refund 2 little months (a drop in the bucket). When I opened this confirmation email, after "refund amount" it said: 0. I canceled because this company, when I joined in 2001, had a system and an ethic that was focused on its members. Over the years, their focus became profit and their commitment to members: lip service. This subscription debacle is a case in point.

I ordered Weight watchers several years ago and when I wasn't satisfied with the product and I went to cancel it they charged me the remaining portion of the saving I got when I ordered this product. This is false advertising.

I signed up for the 3 month online version at Weight Watchers website. I get to the point where they want my billing information. I tried multiple times & it kept giving me an error. Finally it goes through... I didn't think anything of the errors with entering my cc information. So the next day 12/31/2016 I check my bank account & come to realization that WW charged my account $49.85 seven times!!! I immediately called the customer service number & got connected with a guy who clearly didn't speak very well English. Go figure... He's telling me he only shows one transaction not seven. This guy asked for my credit card information to further evaluate why my card was charged so many times. I give him my information & he puts me on hold! He had me on hold for like 15 mins before he got back on the phone.

Finally gets back on the phone & tells me he is sorry but he can only see that my account was charged 1 time. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. He puts me on hold for another 15 to 20 mins. Finally gets back on the phone & tells me they were able to see the charges & the money will be put back on my credit card in 24 hrs. Also said this was for authorization purposes only! They apparently charged my account seven times for a total of almost $300 for authorization purposes only!!! So I hung up. Check my account the next day... & OF COURSE my money is still NOT in my bank account. So I called the customer service number once again this time DEMANDING 6 months for free & all of my money back this time.

The woman I spoke to of course didn't speak very good English again! She's tells me she can only see one transaction from my bank account on 12/30/2016. (But the guy I spoke to the day before said they were able to see all of the transactions.) She then puts me on hold for a few mins then gets back on the phone & asks for my credit card information. THIS TIME I refused! Explained I have already gone through this with someone else I'm not giving my information out again. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. She puts me on hold to see if she can find an available supervisor. Gets back on the phone & tells me nobody was available because they were all on the phone. Then states my money will be put on my card in 24-48 hours & that she can only give me 30 days of free service.

I demanded to speak to a supervisor again! Puts me on hold for a few mins then gets back on the phone & says nobody is available because it is Sunday & I can call back tomorrow. Needless to say... I didn't get my money back yet & still haven't spoke to anyone regarding getting 6 months free of Weight Watchers & why they took $300 out of my account...

Horrible customer service support. No follow-up. I requested a copy of all my 2016 transactions to submit to FSA. I am constantly getting the runaround. Still have not received the email copy of my payments. Please get the billing dept in order. I cancelled my account due to the problems. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weight Watchers?

Weight Watchers Billing department are scammers. I canceled my account back in January of this year and they re-signed me back up without my authorization. I'm am currently working with my bank and I've gotten 90 days refunded. Weight Watchers is hanging up every time I call on the issue. They are being extremely evasive. I'm sure this is not a isolated incident. I am contacting my State's Attorney's Office for additional help.

I belonged years ago under the Points Plus Program and did great. I met my goal weight and was glad to recommend Weight Watchers to others. I joined this new Beyond the Scale Program in Oct for a 3 month term. I am very disappointed with the new program. It is nothing but common sense and "clean" eating while incorporating exercise. Anyone can do that - I don't intend to continue with the plan.

I tried to cancel my online account and the representative couldn't find my account. This is the second time that I've tried dealing with them and based on the terrible representatives, I don't think I will join again. Why can't Weight Watchers have their customer service in the United States?

I signed up under the free fit bit promo. Two months later, no fit bit. I have been contacting customer service through email, chat & phone calls and they have done nothing. One rep told me she was taking my complaint to management and that I would definitely get a call back in 24-48 hours. GO FIGURE!!! NOTHING but they do continue to bill me! This is the most ridiculous customer service I have every encountered! This saddens me because I have used Weight Watchers many times over the past and have been successful and have never had poor service but the new Weight Watchers is ridiculous! They cheat people and have poor follow through! Don't waste your time or money!!!

W.W. are presently promoting a special - buy 3 months, get 1 month free or buy 6 months, get 2 months free. BUT, when you choose one of these selections, you have to pay a $35 activation fee again even if you are a renewing member. I have renewed memberships on other sites and NEVER had to repay the activation fee. What a scam! I guess they need the money.:) So I am going to just go on calculator.net and they will tell you the points of each food item. So if you know the points you are allowed per day, you can easily do this on your own. As a guideline, I am 5'4", and weigh 167 and my allowance is 26 points per day with an extra 49 bonus points per week.

If you really need to lose weight, please believe me, this program DOES NOT WORK. Many of the Weight Watchers programs in the past have worked very successfully, but this one does not. Even if you follow it to a tee and stay within your points limits everyday you WILL NOT lose weight, at best you will stay the same. Some of the reasons for this is because people are no longer held accountable for their choices, people are no longer "encouraged" to lose weight, people are no longer "guided in their journey to weight loss". The new philosophy and mantra that is coming through in the talks that the leaders give every week is this: if it makes you FEEL good, DO IT and celebrate it. This is not good for someone who needs to lose weight.

The problem of over-eating is what people come to Weight Watchers for, and for me to be told to celebrate being fat, or pat myself on the back when I've binged on food is just not going to encourage me to lose weight. Also for 2 weeks I followed the program religiously, stayed within my points range, ate extra zero point fruits and vegetables, exercised 20 minutes everyday and I did not lose weight, I was gaining. So at the meeting I spoke up and said to the leader: "I need help, I think I'm doing everything right and following the program and I'm not losing, I really need some guidance and assistance." The leader responded with: "well if you're not losing you're eating too much, it's that simple".

But if I'm eating too much then it's the fault of the program, because if eating my points limit everyday is causing me to gain then isn't the program designed wrong?? And the saddest part was that the leader offered no further guidance or direction after that. It was other members who came to me after the meeting and started offering me suggestions and ideas and encouragement and guidance... because they recognized that the leader did not address my need, and did not take it seriously when I asked for help... so they pitched in to help me.

I eventually quit and went to another weight loss program and took my food journals with me to show the doctor at the new program what I had been eating and also my weight record of not losing, and he assessed everything and said "you are consuming more calories than you need and that's why you're not losing weight, but you've still stayed within all the parameters of the Weight Watchers program, so the program is not scientifically sound and you've done nothing wrong, we just need to design a proper program for you that doesn't have you eating "unlimited" anything no matter how healthy it is, and doesn't discourage healthy fats, and doesn't encourage high amounts of protein.

You've been eating very low "starch" but not low carb because what you've cut down in starches you've increased in fruits and vegetables and those too have significant amounts of carbs and calories that are being added to your diet everyday but not being accounted for. From what I can see here from your journal you're actually taking in an extra 500 calories a day in fruits and vegetables but these calories are not being accounted for in the program you were on. That's an extra lb a week that you could be gaining just from the fruits and vegetables you're eating. Any good diet program needs to be balanced... and unlimited anything is never a good idea."

I started the diet program he offered and it worked, I have been consistently losing and have lost 64 lbs so far. I'm saddened simply because over the yrs I always lost weight on Weight Watchers programs, but not this SmartPoints one, it's just not designed to lose weight, it's designed to make people "feel better about themselves while remaining overweight". I guess the reality is, as long as people stay fat Weight Watchers will always be in business, so it's not in their best interest to actually have people lose and keep it off.

Joined ww for 3 months. Sent email to cancel and was still charged for the following 3 months. Called cs spoke to a nice rep and had it cleared up. However, ww claims to have help for diabetics. I asked about this at the meeting and was told that there really is none. One must do their own thing. The new ww is not as good as the old. In fact it really does not make sense. Diabetics cannot eat all the fruit they want. I also don't understand why ww carries so many carb snacks. Wouldn't it be better to have more protein snacks available. Perhaps WW should discuss this with a good endocrinologist. So, now I am going to a nutritionist and it seems to be better for me. More reasonable for my needs.

I have been a weight watchers for over 20 years and experienced many program changes. The Smart Points Plan is the dumbest they have ever had. While it is great that they revamped things so that sugary foods/empty calories cost more points, they have dragged healthy foods, like milk products, that contain naturally-occurring sugar down as well. The end result is that members are consuming fewer milk products and in a population that leans heavily toward older women that is not "smart."

Also, the WW crack research team seems to have missed the data that says good fats are important in a lot of ways - not the least is the role fats play in satisfying hunger. I have been to meeting with various leaders and they all rely very heavily or processed foods to get enough calories while staying within their point totals - "fake" cheese, low-fat (high sodium) processed lunch meats, expensive processed milk (yes, they are now processing milk) with a lowered sugar content... the list goes on and on. While WW touts the fact that people lose more weight on the Smart Points Program than they did with Points Plus, that does not make it healthy.

So many reviews here about WW fraudulent billing practices, and I can tell you, they are all true. What's more, is that the new program Smartpoints, Beyond the Scale is ridiculous. In the meetings they celebrate and clap, and yell in excitement when someone confesses that they overate gained. One such incident, a lady said, "I'm up two lbs this week because I ate 1/2 a cheesecake." The leader said, "How did you feel when you were doing it? Did it make you feel great? If so then BRAVO to you for doing something for yourself that made you feel great, Let's give ___ a hand shall we and celebrate that she's putting herself first and doing what makes her feel good."

This is outrageous. It's doing what "makes us feel great" and overeating that got us in this situation of being overweight in the first place. When someone is trying to lose weight they need encouragement, yes, but they don't need their failures celebrated. The leader simply could have said, "Don't worry, tomorrow is another day, you don't have to let one bad moment turn into multiple days of overeating, we'll help you refocus and get back on track, don't beat yourself up over it." But this celebrating and clapping, and bravos for someone who did something that was not in their best interest from a health perspective is a horrible thing for an organization to be doing.

Also, the new Smartpoints program is not really scientifically based. There is a lot of science showing that low carb, moderate protein, and moderate fat intake is a very healthy way to lose weight. But the SP program focuses on "high" protein, "low" fat, and unlimited fruit and vegetables. Science clearly indicates that this cannot result in weight loss and I have proven it. I joined 3 months ago to lose 10 lbs, and have stuck to the program faithfully, and have been edging up 1/2 a lb a week or staying the same, but definitely not losing. Because the program is not scientifically sound.

You cannot eat higher amounts of protein without also increasing your fat intake. I'm not talking high fat, but moderate amounts of healthy fats. But the SP program penalizes you for having fats. If you eat healthy fats you will use up way too many points and not be able to eat enough food to ward off hunger. Healthy fat intake is crucial to the success of any diet that is low in carbs or higher in protein. I have had 30 yrs of "regularity," going to the bathroom 2-3 times a day. My body has always worked like a clock, but once I started this program I was going to the bathroom once every 7 days. It was horrible and very unhealthy. I increased my water intake big time. But because I couldn't increase my fat content the protein and fiber just turned to cement in my body and would not move through.

Since Oprah has begun her influence the entire program is all about "how you feel, and live and be happy, and come-by-ya" and not about results, or being held accountable for your actions and choices, etc. I don't go to WW for therapy, I go to lose weight, because I need to learn how to control my habits and make better choices. I just don't think they should be acting like 5 yr olds and celebrating, and giving people high-fives when they overeat and gain weight. It's juvenile.

Weight Watchers offers monthly passes & promotions but doesn't tell you during orientation if you purchase the convenient monthly pass via credit card, you are automatically renewed at the end of the time period of your purchase. WW says you received this pass because you subscribed to a monthly pass (sounds OK) but it DOES NOT tell you when the pass allocation you purchased expires, they AUTOMATICALLY renew and charge your credit card for another. To my surprise, I received a renewed pass in the mail that I did not expect or request. I hadn't accessed Weight Watchers meetings or online app in months. I soon discovered the website has a link for cancellations... which I didn't know you had to officially cancel after the end of a purchased card time period. I thought [from past experience] if you ended a purchase period you were done unless you renewed and you purchased more time.

The website [referenced] link for cancellations... when you click it, nothing happens beyond a message to stay motivated. It seems 'Cancellations' does not help you to actually cancel a membership most people likely don't realize continues. Cancellations entry online does nothing. So then I called the 1-800 number whereas was told the monthly pass states it is a subscribed pass... which again makes sense to the receiver when it's active. I said nothing was explained to me that subscribing to a 6 month pass meant automatic renewal. I signed up to attend meetings for 6 months (higher cost than online only) that I subsequently found to be very basic and not at all inspiring [for me] so I stopped attending meetings and subsequently stopped going for check-in several months ago.

Weight Watchers also had a promotion [when I purchased pass] you could receive a refund after a couple of months of weight loss - online form for submission but when I searched online for the form when it was time for me to submit amount lost for a refund on costs, after asking a WW staff person for help accessing form without any success, I concluded the promotion form for a refund was nowhere to be found. It appeared to be a Gimmick to engage people in purchasing a monthly pass for longer memberships but like cancellations, not available to actually complete when requirements were met for benefits. Very disappointing. Weight Watchers is not appearing to offer ethical practice. Sadly I suggest buyer beware when it comes to accessing Weight Watchers.

I signed up for the 3-month subscription at a "discounted" rate. After just 3 days, I realized I paid $40 for a food diary. I cancelled thinking I would get at least a refund for the two remaining months and got email that I was not getting a refund instead my subscription would end at end of first month at a new rate of $19.99 and the rest of my money was their "sign up fee". A lesson learned and a big disappointment for Oprah supporting such a scam to people trying to get support for weight loss. Shameful. I DO NOT RECOMMEND AT ALL. WASTE OF OUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

I signed up for a 3-month promo and then informed the location where I was attending meetings/weigh-ins, etc. that I was not continuing, and wanted to cancel. My understanding was that my account was closed. I just noticed in my bank statement that I was being charged $44.95 a month for the past 4 months without my knowledge. I haven't been back to Weight Watchers since the promo ended and I closed my account. When I tried to call, the person at the call center, whose English was limited, kept me on the phone waiting, and had to consult with someone else 3 times. She said she couldn't find any charges.

Finally, she said she could "cancel my account." Apparently, it had never been cancelled. I am extremely disappointed with these kind of tactics from Weight Watchers. They are deliberately extending "accounts" and not cancelling them, then raiding people's bank accounts. Beware of such shoddy business practices. There are better ways to lose weight and not lose your money.

After 3 months trying the Weight Watchers program, I can say that I would not recommend this program to anyone. Nice branding, photos and online marketing videos hide the fact that the mobile app is terrible, service is pathetic and auto-subscription is designed to take your money. I signed up for the introductory 3 month period. Beware! They will try to charge you in month 4. Altogether, I'm not happy. MyFitnessPal is a much better (and free) option. There are many other preferable diet programs. Do not believe the hype. Weight Watchers is not worth your money!

Your accounting system is lacking in the respect you continue to charge my account after I have requested a refund and to be canceled. Hopefully this will get the attention that I need to get this issue resolved! Your weight loss program works but your accounting system doesn't. I chose to write this review in hopes of getting my issue resolved. I have been promised a return call from a supervisor within the next 24-48 hrs on numerous occasions and have yet to receive one. Hence the reason for this review.

Ordered Weight Watchers online 9/21/16. Supposed to get free initial coaching session at 11 am 9/23 Calif. She called at 8 am when I was unavailable! Called WW, got someone overseas who couldn't speak intelligible English and was reading from a script. Could not get an agent in USA. Overseas agent said she tried to contact USA agent who allegedly relayed a message "answering my question" (I never said why I was calling!). I asked why USA agent would talk to overseas agent but not me!! I guess WW doesn't want any more business. I told them to cancel order. We'll see if she understood English well enough to do that.

After deciding to use MyFitnessPal (which is free) to continue my weight loss journey, I sent a cancellation request by e-mail. I assumed they would automatically stop drafting my account but after 5 months realized they were still charging me. I pay my balance in full and unfortunately had not checked my statement close enough to realize the $44.00 was still being taken out. When I called the company I spoke with someone who was very hard to understand. Weight Watchers in the past has been a very good experience but at this time I highly recommend you check out the free apps to lose weight which are very effective.

I have been a fan of the Weight Watchers program over the years. This morning I spent 20+ minutes on the phone trying to reach someone who could speak clear English and potentially help answer some questions. It appears that Weight Watchers has recently changed their customer service to a call center overseas - perhaps to save money. I never did get the questions answered, nor was I able to be given, upon request, a U.S. phone number for Weight Watchers (the call center said there were no longer numbers in the U.S. for customer service involving Weight Watchers). I canceled my subscription this morning out of frustration, disappointment, and a lack of respect for this terrible business model that is now a part of Weight Watchers. I have never see such poor customer service for such a large, well known company. It is truly a shame to see this once respectful company being turned into an unreachable, untrustworthy, unfriendly business.

I've read many poor reviews (sorry so many people had bad experiences) but felt I needed to state that I've had nothing but positive things. I was warned in advance to cancel 2 weeks ahead of time as to not be billed. I was told this about 3 times by different WW people. The meetings have been extremely helpful...love the support of all the other women but most of all our leader is simply wonderful. I leave feeling encouraged with new information to help with my weight goals. I only had 10 pounds to lose so probably will not subscribe longer than my 3 months but I enjoy the meetings so much I might just continue. My only disappointment is that when counting points fruit does not have points. If you are a very large person I suppose it would not matter. Like I mentioned I'm only 10 pounds overweight so eating that fruit will keep me from losing.

This program is a scam!! DON'T SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING WITH WEIGHT WATCHERS!!! I signed up during the promotional period, "lose 10 lbs within 2 months and get 100.00 debit card". I lost the 10 lbs. Called Weight Watchers and inquired about the 100.00. I was told to fill out the required forms and mail in with proof. Two weeks later I received a "Dear Valued Member" form letter. The letter stated my weekly logged weight was not legible. I sent another letter with the actual weight log book for proof. Received a 2nd letter stating I did not sign up during the promotional period, therefore the 100.00 will not be offered.

I definitely signed up during the promotional period. I signup over the phone and this 10 lbs/100.00 program was the reason I did signup. Frustrated; I called the 800 number and between being switched back and forth between supervisors and being on with them for over an hour. I was told my 100 dollar request would be reviewed by senior management. NEVER DID I RECEIVE A CALL OR EMAIL FROM THEM.

Note: if you cancel your membership before the 100 dollars is received the 100 will be not be issued. So the longer Weight Watchers stalls the more monthly fees they get. Each month a 48.00 fee was being automatically withdrawn from my bank account. I finally gave in and had my membership cancelled over the phone and they can keep my 100.00 dollars. Cancelling the membership over the phone took another hour (and that's no BS). Believe me I will never sign up for anything with Weight Watchers.

BEWARE DEALING WITH WEIGHT WATCHERS --I purchased 12 weeks of the Weight Watchers program on-line. I made sure I only purchased 12 weeks on a one-time payment. Instead, Weight Watchers has buried deep within their terms (you know, the small print written by a team of lawyers in lawyer-speak) that they can bill you at maximum monthly payment. You won't realize it unless you scrutinize your credit card statement 3 months later. It may be a Wall Street traded stock, but Weight Watchers works like a SCAM OPERATION!!! Never purchase anything from Weight Watchers without a competent lawyer in tow.

I joined several months ago under a program for 3 months. I wanted to upgrade my account to a different level, Total Access member and I tried to do over the 24/7 chat and after 30 minutes of going back and forth with a Tech support that seemed like forever, they informed me that I had to do the account status change over the phone. I called the 1-800 phone number and got someone from who knows where (clearly overseas) and they asked for very sensitive personal information and credit card information. I was not comfortable providing it and after numerous attempts to provide other information, I did have to provide my cc information in order to complete the status upgrade. After the phone conversation I regretted ever doing the transaction over the phone, but there are no other options that WW provides and EVERYONE in the organization defers to the 1-800 number for customer service.

Four days later, my CC agency informed me that my CC had been compromised and purchases in Japan were made using my card. I was upset and reached out to WW again on their 1-800 phone number and got another someone from who knows where and I agreed prior to the phone call to answer a phone survey after the conversation. I asked to speak with a supervisor and after 30 minutes on the phone, they said there was technical difficulty getting a supervisor on the phone to talk with me. They told me to call back. After the phone conversation, I was expecting to take the phone survey and guess what happened? Nothing...yep, the phone went dead. I guess they didn't want any feedback that wasn't going to be positive.

I have since left feedback in the email to WW and guess again, yep, someone from who knows where with a name I cannot even pronounce emailed me and wished me all the success on my weight loss journey, but wanted to know why I wanted to speak with a supervisor...REALLY?? This is the fourth person I have had to tell my story to and I still haven't gotten anyone to speak to other than tech support. Customer Service is non-existent at WW and I have no idea where these people are from, but I am convinced my CC was sold or stolen as a result of providing it over the phone to their tech support.

As of today, I have talked or emailed to five different individuals and am no further along on resolving anything. My Credit Card Agency opened a fraud investigation and all I wanted to do was to alert WW about a potential problem they may have on providing customer service overseas. Unless they figure out how customers can pay in cash, check or in person, I will no longer remain a customer. I have never encountered a worse customer service (or lack of service) system in my life. Do not do anything over the phone or with their 24/7 chat system. There are NO protections for your identity or confidential information.

I'll start by saying I like the WW plan and both me and my mom have been quite successful on making some necessary lifestyle changes. I have no complaints about the actual program... it's the business practices that are stinky and why I'm cancelling my membership. I knew that after signing up for the 3 month plan that WW would start to auto-bill me after the three months was up (it's in the terms and conditions) but I didn't realize I'd be billed 6 weeks in advance with no warning whatsoever! No reminder email that "FYI, your about to be billed for another month". Okay - my bad, read more carefully. But 6 weeks in advance is a very long time to auto-bill someone without any warning. It just feels sneaky to all of a sudden see these charges come off your card without any advance warning. It's poor customer service. If you think your program and business is so great, why do you need to trick people into staying?

Trying to cancel your membership after your credit card has been charged is almost impossible. The online cancellation is counter-intuitive. Even still, I cannot sign up for another 3 months. It's month to month or nothing! You go from a three month plan to a very costly monthly plan. If you want to sign up for a longer period of time you actually have to cancel altogether and then re-join as a brand new member! This means you pay the joining fee again too! Poor business practices. They may have got an extra month from me but they lost me for any future business. Shame WW.

Finally, we had a few weeks where our leader didn't show up (sick) and we were told our accounts would be credited for these weeks. In following up, WW has no record of these requests even though the staff in person keep saying they've let WW know about the missed meetings, they tell me to contact WW. I do and then WW tells me to go back to the meeting staff to discuss it. It's just a runaround. It constantly feels like they are trying to trap you into paying more and more. It just feels sneaky and stinky... so I'll do the program on my own with the support of fellow ex-WW participants. Too bad WW - you lose in the end.

Like other commenters, I signed up for a fixed period of time (6 months). I ended up hating the website and found it fairly useless, so I did not use it beyond 3 weeks but figured that I had to accept this loss and should have done more research/read reviews. Well, to my shock Weight Watchers Online continued to take money from my account beyond the 6 month period and now that I have disputed, they refuse to refund my money and tell me to read the Terms and Conditions!!! We all do lots of e-commerce these days, and this is the first time I have ever had such a response from a service provider! Shame on you WEIGHT WATCHERS!!! Shame shame... you must be very desperate for your nickels and dimes. Do NOT waste your money on this TERRIBLE COMPANY!

I am a recently widowed senior. I have gone to weight watchers several times over the last 40 years. You could go and pay your money (in cash) and receive the information and get your weekly weigh in. I looked on the website for a long time last night to get the rates and then just traveled quite a long way to a meeting. When I went a representative asked whether we knew the rates and two other people said they spent time online and could not find the rates. I was going to purchase a 3 month pass for cash. She said she could take the money but I had to go online and use my credit card to register and then I would have to go online after three months and cancel it even though the meetings were not going to be charged on it. She said if I did not cancel it new meetings would be charged to the credit card.

I said I only wanted the 3 months as I did not have that much to lose and I would be out of the country in three months with internet that was not always consistent to cancel it. I said I did not want anything offered online I just wanted the program and the meetings. She said I could pay the $101 today but if I did not go online and register with my credit card my payment today would not be recognized and I would have to start all over next week. I called the 800 number she gave me and I got the same story. It looked like if you do not give your credit card so they can find out a way to rip you off they will not let you come. I thought this was a company that started because they wanted to help people not rip off the most vulnerable.

The new Weight Watchers Smart Point System is defeating. I joined, only to find I had minus Smart Points after only two days. I had altered my diet and still, I had minus points. This meant that each day, no matter what I did, or how much I exercised, I was still in the minus, which is psychologically defeating. After three days I wrote to them and asked for a refund, which they refused. Dieting is hard enough and requires some cheering on, not the other way around.

Expert Review

JJ VirginWeight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.    More about JJ→

Founded 50 years ago, Weight Watchers has evolved from solely a group-meeting weight loss program to strategic plans for different demographics and an online option. Weight Watchers assists members in losing weight by forming helpful habits, eating smarter, getting more exercise and providing support. Consumers looking for a budget-friendly option can simply purchase Weight Watchers brand food products at their grocery store or mass retailer and follow the plan's basic diet, which is available online. Those who want more support can join the program, which offers individuals plans including options like a smartphone-based app for tracking food and activities, in-person weekly support meetings, online community support and one-on-one coaching via text messaging or telephone.

• Buddy system: Studies show people who pair up with like-minded groups or friends attain better fat loss (and keep it off better) than those who go it alone. For anyone who needs group support – either in person or online – Weight Watcher is top notch.
  • Digital tools: High-tech apps and digital tools increase compliance and accountability, and make it easier for you to track your progress and stay motivated. Tech-savvy folks will find these valuable and even enjoyable.
  • Flexibility: The program allows flexibility to eat real food, allows people to maintain their social lives, and makes losing weight easy even with the busiest schedule without deprivation. Since no food is forbidden, you simply modify portion sizes to fit their PointsPlus® system.
  • Food philosophy: Weight Watchers is designed to be a lifestyle approach to food, so no foods are considered off limits. While this philosophy could become a slippery slope for people who have problems with cravings for certain unhealthy foods, it can also help by encouraging moderation and accountability for food choices.
  • Flexibility: Weight Watchers assigns "points" values for every food and helps you set a goal for how many points you should consume daily. This system means you can make low-point choices throughout the day in preparation for a special meal or event instead of having to forgo the extra calories because of your diet.
  • Best for new moms, college students, busy adults, teens, older men, older women and former athletes.

Compare Weight Loss Programs