Weight Watchers

Compare Weight Loss Programs

Research top Weight Loss Programs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When trying to sign into my account, the app/website did not recognize my account. This has happened for months. I have called to inquire with no solution. I have continued to be billed monthly. It finally occurred to me that they should be able to look up my account via my credit card. They acknowledged I had an account but could only refund the last 3 months. It is ultimately my bad for not being more assertive months ago when this started. Ripoff and horrible customer service, the rep said, "It is in the terms and agreement that WW has the right to continue to take membership fees until you cancel."

Do not be fooled or misled - this company is unethical and has bad practices. I cancelled the account May of last year - online charges continued. I quit receiving emails from WW - good indication that account cancelled... but it wasn't. We had to call Citibank and post a complaint. Charges continued. Finally had "success" cancelling the account. Seriously, there are free apps or Garmin/Fitbits that do more than WW. You would be better served to NOT use them. There is no value to a $20 per month App - there are free apps, Pinterest, communities. This is not worth your time...

I am very disappointed in Weight Watchers. I joined Feb. 20, 2017 under one of their 3 month promotions. By May 20th I had lost the 10# required to get a $100 visa card, or roll it over into another couple of months membership. In order to receive this $ one had to fill out a form with a copy of my passbook showing my weight loss. This seemed crazy as everything about WW is electronic now. Okay so I did that and while patiently waiting for my $100 I noticed they had been taking out $44.95 for the months of May and June (I'm bad for not noticing it sooner). So, I immediately canceled my membership online.

When I finally got a hold of someone in billing I was told that "it is in the terms and agreement that WW has the right to continue to take membership fees until you cancel." I was also told that in order to get the $100 I have to have an active account... YIKES! and a few other choice words. In the end it just wasn't even worth getting the $100 back. WW meetings now consist of the first 10-15 minutes reviewing the latest crappy 1 point pasta "they" have for sale or the one point chocolate the size of my thumb nail that's loaded with preservative. So you go Weight Watchers I hope you implode.

I had noticed a while ago that I was still being billed by Weight Watchers even though I have not used them for years. I called to let them know before and they said I had to call back later that no one was in that could help me. I called back later and they said that I was continuing to be billed after my 3 month subscription ran out as was agreed. I was frustrated because I tried to get back into my account after the 3 months was up and it said that I no longer had a current subscription and had to renew so I figured that it had been canceled. And as I read the previous reviews I see that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

When I canceled today for sure I thought it would have been nice for them to refund me some money but of course no such remuneration was offered. Just to let people know there is an app call Diet Watchers that is essentially the same as Weight Watchers. You pay a one time fee of I believe 6$ and that's it. I really hope Weight Watchers goes out of business. They are such a ripoff.

I have tried WW 3 times and every time there has been a problem with the app or the billing. This last time was the worst. I signed up for a promotion from the Weight Watchers website that was for 3 months at $35. The payment went through but then when I tried to log into the app it said my subscription had ran out. So I sent 5 emails before I finally heard back from someone 2 weeks later. So I wasn't even able to use the app for 2 weeks. The email I got back was poorly written and asked for a lot of personal information and I didn't feel comfortable writing all that in an email so I called instead.

The first guy I talked to could barely speak English so it took over 30 minutes to get anywhere. I explained my situation and he said the only thing he could do for me was to refund my $35 and get the newest promotion. The newest promotion was 3 months for $50... So it was worse than what I had already paid for. I wasn't happy so he said he'd give me a month for free. It still made me mad though because I was having to pay more than what I tried to the first time. So I decided to just go ahead with it because I really like the app.

A few hours later I checked my bank account and no joke, they withdrew $1000. My account went negative and I was freaking out. So I had to call them again and of course this guy also barely spoke English. I explained everything and told him how unhappy I was and that I just wanted to cancel everything and to obviously get my $1000 back! He basically told me there was nothing he could do and that I have to call my bank and deal with it myself.

This company has the WORST customer service I have ever experienced. Now I am sitting on hold with my bank, currently at 30 minutes wait, and hoping they can get my money back. I made an account on Consumer Affairs just to write this review because I am so angry and everyone needs to know how ** this company is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weight Watchers?

While the program itself is pretty good, the customer service is so bad that I warn everyone to stay away!! I was told incorrect information when I signed up, was overbilled, and they refuse to refund me. Their customer service is terrible and they don't care one bit. So disappointing for a company I used to respect. This is based in Canada in July 2017.

I enrolled in a promotion with Weight Watchers to lose 10 pounds in 60 days and receive the $100 promotional fee back. An additional requirement was that "Your Weight Watchers subscription must be current at the time you submit the refund form." I lost the 10 within the 60 days and completed the required form to cancel my membership and start the refund process on May 16th. In spite of that, Weight Watchers began deducting membership fees from my checking account. Upon requesting that they refund the fees they had deducted, I was told by a Weight Watchers representative that I must retain active membership during the processing of the $100 gift card which would take 8 to 12 weeks, and would end up costing me more in membership fees more than the $100 I would be receiving. They have since only agreed to cancel my membership as of today but declined to issue any refund.

I wanted to join today Weight Watchers 50% discount. WW staff refused to answer any of my questions. Kathy in Mechanicsburg PA said she did not have time to speak to me even though I told her I had a hearing disability and could not hear her over the noisy crowd. She simply pointed me to the pricing board and said if I wanted to join that is what the prices were. I had to leave due to my hearing disability. My head still hurts after being there for only 3 minutes. After reading the reviews here I am very glad I did not join. It's unfortunate that weight watchers has turned into a nasty business with very little if any customer service.

I was signed up through my company and bill was paid through company. I was going over my checking account and notice that they had been taking money out of my account for 7 months now. I called and explain that this should have not been done. Stated that they understood that this happens but all they can do is refund 3 months and close the account. I call this stealing money, but never again will I use Weight Watchers.

I joined to lose 12 pounds when they had a promotion to lose 10 pounds within 3 months and get $100 gift card. I lost the 10 pounds. I applied for the $100 as explained to me at the meeting. What they didn't tell me - it takes up to 4 months to process the form AND you have to pay a $45 membership fee each of those months. After 4 phone calls to Weight Watchers, I am still trying to resolve this. Today I gave up and cancelled my membership. After this experience, I really don't believe they will stop billing me the monthly fee. This makes me very sad. I have always liked Weight Watchers - I am a lifetime member. They'll never see me or my $$ again.

While the app works well you get past the constant state of having to log in even when it's on your phone. The fact that you oftentimes cannot log in and then get locked out is just ridiculous. Tonight I found out that because I signed up for WW at WORK. They can't reset my password at the number they tell you to call. Instead, they have dedicated staff at WW to assist us with technical problems. What?? Really?? It's the same problem - a password reset - not some specific issue that takes a specialized person.

I joined Weight Watchers 2 different times. The first time they were "all out" of the promised Starter's Kit. The second time in 2/2017 I was promised $100 gift card if I lost 10 lbs in 3 months. Well I lost 15 and even had their scale to connect with them to prove this. Now they say I had to renew for another 3 months or I will have to pay a $20 fee. So basically, I am not going to get that $100 either. I have already put almost $200 into the company to get $100, which I never received. Well, this diet plan involves the same thing as many free online diet plans offer, so I would suggest to save your money. It is a good plan but they just swap points for calorie counting: something that you can easily do on your own. I regret joining again.

Paid for my daughter for 6 months on June 22, 2017 @ $33. per month. Set up for auto pay and they took my $33.00 on the June 22, 2017 and then turned around and again withdrew another $33 on July 5, 2017. Told my daughter, "you are always paying a month in advance for the service. Really 7 weeks in advance!!!" "No, I don't think so. Am cancelling today!" She is paid through Sept. 2017. This is a real scam. Don't give them your credit card.

Bad experience with WW. Immediately upon joining I tried to cancel my subscription. There was no such option online. The only option charged me three months. Google link to Customer Service doesn't work. They're quick to take your money but make it difficult, if not impossible, to cancel. I intend to post this everywhere I can unless this issue is resolved immediately and I am not, charged anything.

I have been with Weight Watches for 3 months now and every time I try to open their app on my mobile it goes straight for 'Sign up for the $499.00 12 month plan' and won't let me pass that stage. I have been told I can't go to the meetings in my area because I only pay $35.00 per month. I now realize I have been completely ripped off.

At my 1st meeting I bought a points calculator for £9.95. It was completely dead and would not work. I returned it at the next meeting to be told I would have to contact Weight Watchers to sort it out even though they had spare ones there. On contacting customer services it turns out I have to post it back to them. Why can't the coach replace it, why can't the coach send it back. Ridiculous, but I was warned that all Weight Watchers are interested in is your money!

I signed up for their services on May 31, 2017 and on June 5, 2017 I called to cancel the membership. I have not used their services not one time. They would only give me $9.00 for the 3 month membership I had paid for. I can understand it I had been using it for more than half the membership but I didn't. They said they would not refund the amount paid. I will NEVER use them and will tell everyone I know not to. Ms. **, you should be ashamed of yourself for promoting them when they do the customers this bad. You may not need the money that I will not get back but I do.

I signed up for 3-month plan for $50 one evening. I had heard good things so I figured I'd give it a shot. But once I became a member, I saw that there isn't anything in the member site or app that is worth cost of membership, I'm talking within 10 minutes of logging in/signing up. Recipes seemed to be only thing in member site, and those are available Everywhere on the web!

I immediately contacted them showing time stamp of signing up, at this point, less than 30 min in, stating I felt I was scammed into signing up with empty promises of a full system, except all the site and app had are how many points and some recipes, again, all over the web for free. 5 days later after no response, I forwarded same email to them again, adding that I haven't touched account since that first 10 min and want my money back. Instead I finally got a rude email stating I'll only get $9 back and they cancelled my account. I emailed them back immediately after stating that's not acceptable and I was filing a complaint with PayPal against them.

Tried Weight Watchers for about three months. The idea of the diet is good healthy standards. Low fat, low sugar, high fruit, high protein diet. I choose not to continue as I already went through a major diet experience 10 years ago with proportion control and calorie counting using similar standards. I commend the idea of Weight Watchers in a society that has lost its good eating habits and put those individuals back on the right track. I choose not to continue with Weight Watchers as I got a half assed introduction to the program and I still haven't a clue what the whole hubbub is about nor how to proceed about it. Here's my experience:

Signed up online. Went to a local meeting. Got signed in. Sat through a 30 minute talk meeting. Half the meeting was about how you don't dip your hand into the candy dish. Then the welcome meeting after. I got a half assed introduction to the program for my introduction. Was given a welcome packet. Was requested to go through it at my leisure. Rep sent 20 minutes on hold with weight watchers app 800 # to figure out an error in the app. Then a little about the program about what to eat but requested me to read through the material at my leisure.

Went online later that night to figure out more. All I found were recipes and an app that is confusing in serving sizes. Lost 5 lbs in the first two months. Not bad. I tried about three of the meetings and found it was more of a struggle to work them into a rotating random retail schedule. Realized some of the instructors are better than others. My introduction to it was done by one that probably could use a little coaching for new applicants.

I realized the meetings were not all that helpful for me as they didn't really explain the program in detail. Three months later and I still haven't a clue how the diet works or what it is about or how to proceed about it. Over half the meetings were about how you don't dip your hand into the candy dish or do I choose an apple over a donut. That was it. The only reason why I lost weight was because I replaced sugar with fruit and only splurge twice a month. In addition to heavily omitting fatty foods.

I honestly can diet without this program. Thank you for the kick I needed to start it though. I however will not continue with it until explanation is done better. I am left in the dark and $80 of my dollars are no more. (Per other reviews, I will closely watch my account to be sure the monthly billing process is canceled. I feel to deny a refund in the first 3 months is not an ethical practice of business. A diet does take a few months to see results but to some people they don't need all the glamor to diet. They just know how.)

I have contacted Weight Watchers for 3 months attempting to cancel my membership and they continue to charge my PayPal. I have talked to them and emailed and attempted from the web page. They have over charged me at least $80.

We canceled our membership to Weight Watchers 4 months ago but they keep charging our card. When we call to investigate they say that they cannot confirm the charges! What a scam!!! We have proof that they keep taking money out! BEWARE! They're horrible. Service is horrible. We have to block the payment on our credit union side. This is unbelievable.

I canceled Weight Watchers via their phone application after charged April 15, 2017. I had forgotten that this needed to be done. I canceled late at night via email as stated and the 800 # was not operating. May 15 was charged yet again $56. Canceled via email and called this time to put an end to the charges and to get credit. Was advised needed cancellation # and I let them know did not get one first time. This time was given one verbally and asked that WW send it via email so that I would have on record. "Rude" Michael said that this is how I would get it. Advised this is not the way a legitimate business operates. I like the Weight Watchers program and respect the owners, however, I will not do business with them again because of poor customer service and billing practices.

I have been on Weight Watchers for one year and 8 months and have lost 96 pounds! I eat what I want in moderation, I eat things I never knew I liked because they were "Lower points" and I treat myself every now and then so I never miss out on anything I love. I highly recommend it to EVERYONE. I also recommend doing MEETINGS and making friends and using the online tools to reach out on the CONNECT community. As far as issues with billing, never ever have I had one issue. I also order product online and again NO ISSUES. If you cancel you have to do it BEFORE the next billing cycle or YES you will get charged, but I have actually READ the cancellation policy thoroughly.

It was 6 months later that I realized I was being charged monthly after my two-month trial was over. It was a card my husband paid and I didn't know it was being charged after my two-month Groupon was over. I requested a refund but was denied. I was ill as I was not dieting due to two surgeries I had needed. So disappointed in this company.

I have been a Lifetime member of WW for many years. I went back Spring of 2017 and went most of the summer. Since I have stayed within my weight goal, I did not have to pay and received voucher codes for eTools. I have not been for several months and all of a sudden, I received a charge on my credit card for $14.94 from WW. I called them and told them that I was not using their services and had not signed up for any services. They told me that I needed to drive to a WW and get an access code in order for them to refund my money.

I told the representative that this was not acceptable, however, she continued to speak over me and refused to refund my money or allow me to speak to a supervisor. She did, however, cancel my account (what account???). I had never signed up for anything and to make matters worse, she offered me a free month which I promptly denied. I intend to file a dispute with my credit card company. Everyone BE AWARE!!! This is very bad business practice. I could barely understand the representative I was speaking with and hope that this is the end of my dealings with them.

I signed up for 3 months and then noticed WW was auto billing my account every month. I then canceled my account. However, Weight Watchers continued to bill us for the service for months and months after. When I called to question the charges the person on the phone was rude and implied that it was my fault that the account was not closed, and did not offer to refund any of the fraudulent charges. Weight Watchers knew that there is no activity on an account, but instead of sending a courtesy email asking why we were no longer using the service and enticing us to get back on it, they chose to remain silent and continue to collect the $49.95/month. And when I called, again, they could have looked up the account and seen that there was no activity for months and refunded us for that time, but they did not. That is a crooked and very anti-consumer policy. Shameful. Beware.

The most shocking system when dealing with customer services "system" being the operative word. I was appalled to see all of the complaints. I thought WW was a reputable company! I am not normally a negative person (and spoke with the utmost respect to those I communicated my issues to) however show me the way to a Director/C.E.O of Weight Watchers and a few choice words would be spoken!! Sorry for the rant and thank you for the other posts that at least made me realize I was not alone. :-) It's not the money, it's the principle. I will be spreading the shocking feedback as I go and never darkening the doors of Weight Watchers again (which is a shame because at times I really rather enjoyed it).

So many of the complaints on here are about billing. If you use PayPal, you have control over authorized billing, and it solves the issue. So far no billing issues, and if I want to quit WW, I can just de-authorize payments and they won't be able to bill me anymore. I also don't use fitbits, etc., so pretty much no need to deal with customer service.

I was disappointed to see practically no reviews of the program itself when I was considering signing up, so I thought I'd add one: I enjoy using the WW site and app. I don't bother with meetings, and have the online version only. Very easy to use, and I actually enjoy tracking stuff during the day. It has significantly helped me increase my activity level and pay attention to what I eat. I combine this approach with other healthy eating habits I was already following (lots of produce, very little meat, very little sugar and processed food, reasonable carbs, etc.). I have been eating healthy for years, but over the last year, I saw about 8 pounds sneak up on me. I realized it was due to too much desk work, too little exercise, and hidden calories in my meals and snacks. Using this app keeps me on track for activity and food intake. I can still eat what I want in general, but it's more balanced.

I lost 6 points in a month, which is a healthy rate and fine with me, and I decided to maintain this weight - meaning, you can change your setting from weight loss to weight maintenance, which I did today. My increased exercise is toning me up, and I feel great. I plan to keep my account current for the foreseeable future. My favorite benefit - tracking activity. Sounds silly, but I time everything now and go for "points," including housework... My house and I are both in better shape for it. You can experiment with your account settings. I ended up choosing "Tracking" and "Swap my fit points first." This means that if I have a high-calorie day and go over my food points, I can increase my activity level and earn more points to compensate for it. Seems to work. There you go...

Weight Watchers customer service sucks. I have been trying to get a refund for 4 weeks now. When I called them first to get my refund sorted they said, "Sorry we don't issue 45 dollar refunds." Well you guys told me I was getting that back. "2 weeks later you will get 44.95 back" well where the hell is it. They really need to hire people that know what the hell they are doing. I will never deal with this company again.

I started WW about 1.5 yrs ago at 230 lbs. I have lost over 75 lbs. I'm down to 155 lbs and I've never been happier. Even without any workouts I couldn't believe it but it's true and the food taste great. Haven't found anything I didn't like. Just ask Oprah.

Weight Watchers the program is terrific. My issue is with customer service. I bought a Fitbit from the online store and then decided I would like a different model. I look for a return policy and it says you have to call or send email and they'll tell you what to do. I sent email and got an automated response. 5 days later, I still have not heard anything. So I call the number. After being on hold for 20 minutes I gave up.

Expert Review

JJ VirginWeight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.    More about JJ→

Founded 50 years ago, Weight Watchers has evolved from solely a group-meeting weight loss program to strategic plans for different demographics and an online option. Weight Watchers assists members in losing weight by forming helpful habits, eating smarter, getting more exercise and providing support. Consumers looking for a budget-friendly option can simply purchase Weight Watchers brand food products at their grocery store or mass retailer and follow the plan's basic diet, which is available online. Those who want more support can join the program, which offers individuals plans including options like a smartphone-based app for tracking food and activities, in-person weekly support meetings, online community support and one-on-one coaching via text messaging or telephone.

• Buddy system: Studies show people who pair up with like-minded groups or friends attain better fat loss (and keep it off better) than those who go it alone. For anyone who needs group support – either in person or online – Weight Watcher is top notch.
  • Digital tools: High-tech apps and digital tools increase compliance and accountability, and make it easier for you to track your progress and stay motivated. Tech-savvy folks will find these valuable and even enjoyable.
  • Flexibility: The program allows flexibility to eat real food, allows people to maintain their social lives, and makes losing weight easy even with the busiest schedule without deprivation. Since no food is forbidden, you simply modify portion sizes to fit their PointsPlus® system.
  • Food philosophy: Weight Watchers is designed to be a lifestyle approach to food, so no foods are considered off limits. While this philosophy could become a slippery slope for people who have problems with cravings for certain unhealthy foods, it can also help by encouraging moderation and accountability for food choices.
  • Flexibility: Weight Watchers assigns "points" values for every food and helps you set a goal for how many points you should consume daily. This system means you can make low-point choices throughout the day in preparation for a special meal or event instead of having to forgo the extra calories because of your diet.
  • Best for new moms, college students, busy adults, teens, older men, older women and former athletes.

Compare Weight Loss Programs