Weight Watchers

Compare Weight Loss Programs

Research top Weight Loss Programs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Absolutely rubbish website. Signed up for the one month only and they continued to take 2 further months' payments from my bank account without my authorisation. Complete con. When I called WW they told me they could not refund my money as I was on a one month rolling contract with them, even although I only went onto the website a couple of times. Also told they could not track my usage on the site. BS!!! Not nice to deal with and would not recommend to anyone!!!

Beware of bad billing practices for WW!! I am a lifetime member since last March, 2016. I have been faithfully entering my free eTools number every 2 months or more frequently. I just realized that I've been charged every month anyway. Make sure you check your credit card statements every month - don't trust Weight Watchers to do it right. I also found out that when I joined, even though I purchased a 3 month voucher, I was entered as "standard" and charged monthly at a higher rate. I learned my lesson. The program has been great but the billing system isn't. Likely there was some button I didn't click, but since they charged me for the months that they did found a record of my voucher, I am suspicious.

I thought I would try Weight Watchers online as I can't drive and can't get to any the of meetings. Well, it was absolutely useless and so hard to work out. So I thought well I won't do that again, but the next month Weight Watchers took another payment. I wasn't aware that I was booking on a monthly payment. WATCH OUT, THEY WILL KEEP TAKING MONEY OFF YOUR CARD.

Trying to track my coaching. The coach never updated my profile - one shows canceled and the other shows pending. So now I have no proof to show to my doctor that I need for my upcoming surgery. Wasted 45 minutes on chat line with no results - just going back and forth. Call center is in the Philippines and the person didn't understand what I was asking. Got disconnected once and no results the 2nd time. No manager to speak to. Called the hotline and was asked the same stupid questions with no results. Asked for a refund which I see many people have had issue with. I will update later. @ Oprah you should be ashamed for sponsoring this nonsense!

I drove 18+ miles to a Weight Watchers meeting last night and was told you cannot be a member without supplying them with a credit card. I could write a check but would have to register it online and give them a credit card for future automatic payments. After reading the complaints, I am so happy I made the decision to get into my vehicle and travel the 18+ miles home even though it was a wasted trip.

I called the headquarters and had a difficult time understanding the gentleman I spoke to. He confirmed that you cannot be a member without a credit card. Now I can see why. I know a number of people who do not have credit cards either by choice or because of a low income, so they are discriminated against. My son deals with identity theft every day and I am extremely reluctant to allow anyone access to my card. I belonged to the organization years ago and we just paid our dues at the meetings. This new method is not only easier for them but apparently much more profitable. It's all about the $$$.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weight Watchers?

When Americans are paying Weight Watchers dues they should get an American on the phone to help them. Why is Weight Watchers outsourcing to the Philippines? As a lifetime member who needed to get back to Weight Watchers, I needed to call due to a problem with my AP suddenly asking me for my log in information. I had it written down and entered it but it didn't work. I placed a phone call to the 1-800 # from work. As soon as I heard the woman's accent, I knew it would not be a quick fix. She couldn't understand my accent and I certainly couldn't understand hers. After 15 minutes of trying to resolve my problem (which everyone at work ended up hearing) she lost her patience with me. I asked her where she was located and she told me the Philippines. I told her that she should have more patience with Americans due to Weight Watchers outsourcing jobs that should be here, to the Philippines. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

I just signed up and within the hour canceled. Signed up for the online plus account. No welcoming email, nothing that showed me how to use the program and absolutely nothing on explaining how much food, points, or portions to eat. This made me more mad when I tried to chat and they made me feel like it was self-explanatory which it is not. I assumed that there would be something that showed new users how to actually track, and use the program.

Frustrated, I called customer service to see if it was better to talk to someone. Not a chance, the person did not understand me and asked me to repeat several thing several times. I said just please cancel my account. The lack of education this program gives you is the main reason I canceled. When I sign up for something new that I have never done before I would assume they would try to explain it and want you to get it. That was not that case here. Sad. For people who are actually into losing some weight and thought this is the way to do it because everyone seems to RAVE about it. Completely useless.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have finally received the promised refund. It took speaking to a "supervisor" in Missouri and my previous post on ConsumerAffairs. All the calls and extremely long wait time are due to Weight Watchers customer service being outsourced to the Philippines. They read from a script and cannot veer from it to do any problem solving. Weight Watchers needs to come back to the USA.

Lori of Norridge, IL on

Original Review

I am due a refund of 44.95 and have been trying to get it since 1/14/2017. Email after email states 7-10 business days. After each 7-10 business days pass another email is generated and I'm told an error was on their end please wait another 7-10 business days. When calling you are placed on hold for 47 minutes plus. Call back and start all over again. It is 2/20/2017 and still no refund in process. Spoke to three different people today alone. Here I am on hold again. Funny it doesn't take this kind of time to take my money!

I joined WW online yesterday. Every time I tried to log in I was told my username and/or password were incorrect. I reset the password five times. Today I called customer service and was told by a woman named Chrystal that they had an app problem over the weekend. She had me to change my password again; told me I would definitely be able to get on and gave me a "free month". When I couldn't get on again, I called and spoke to a woman named Mitch (?) who told me the same spiel and tried to convince me to stay with the program. I refused and demanded a full refund of my $19.95 cost.

I got and will save a cancellation confirmation number and e-mail and see if I ever get the refund. I evidently also will have to make sure they don't keep charging me as that seems to be their big money maker. Also, the new program gives each food item more points than previously. I have been very hungry since I started yesterday and intend to use an old 1970's booklet and program. Shame on this company. I hope President Trump taxes them out the wazoo for having customer service in a foreign country and for being so insensitive to their customers. Jean Nidetch would be rolling over in her grave!!

I've tried at various times to get the emails to stop coming to me. The link in the email just circles back to the page and doesn't go anywhere, so I can't unsubscribe. Thinking it was a glitch, I just deleted emails and would randomly try, but I've had enough. Daily emails sometimes multiple emails a day to my work email address (previously I was a member of their "AT WORK" program).

I've been tracking the emails since September 15, 2016 when I emailed to cancel. I received a canned response that they're sorry I no longer want the emails, they'll remove me and it'll take 2-3 WEEKS to be removed. (That's WHEN I even get a response back, usually I don't). So I wait that amount of time and email again and get the same canned response, but the daily emails continue. Only once have I received a response other than the canned response and that he had put me in all 4 programs for removing emails, give it 48 hours after (+2 days). If I'm still getting them at that time, they're probably forwarding from another email address.

Since my membership, I did get married so my name had changed. When that didn't work, I did give them my old name and email address (since it does forward), but I'm still getting daily emails and each of the emails show my CURRENT name and email address not my previous, so not the issue. It's so frustrating to constantly get emails that I don't want, that I have tried in good faith to remove myself from, (the link in the email STILL don't work by the way) especially since it's to a business email. My interpretation of the CAN-SPAM act says that a request to be removed from emails must be easy and must take place within a much shorter time frame (2 business WEEKS I believe. I'd have to check again). This clearly is not meeting those requirements. The "Customer Service" simply doesn't exist.

I signed up for the 12 month plan online where I can get the WW mobile app and use this to access and record smart points. I have not been able to use the app for a long time, every time I got the message "Oops there is an error it's us, it's not you". I just assumed that was because my 12 weeks was passed. I did continue to receive emails which I didn't read. However, I was talking to a friend and she said, "You should check that they are not still deducting from your account." I said I only signed up for 12 week plan. She said, "This is a common complaint with WW online." So sure enough I rang WW (which by the way had to wait 20 mins before I got a customer service person). They confirmed that yes the money was still coming out of my account even though my 12 weeks finished last November. I told her that the WW app has not worked and was told that's because I needed to update the app (even though the message said "Oops it's us not you").

I have not used WW online for 3 months and they wouldn't refund me because the terms and conditions which she said are "all over the site" state that they will continue at the end of your period... I struggled to find this. She said when I signed up it would have said that at the bottom. Okay so I don't have a leg to stand on but I think this is VERY misleading and have no doubt that many people would be in the same situation. Why bother having a 12 week plan? Why not just make it an ongoing plan where you cancel when you want to. It is MISLEADING. Or at least an email at the end of the 12 weeks saying "Your 12 week period is now at an end, we will continue with you on the plan unless you reply and cancel."

I joined Weight Watchers on 1/18/17 and I love it! I had never been a member before, so I don't know about the other point systems that were used. However, the number of points I have is plenty and I am never hungry. The program allows for you to eat things like cookies and chips but you may have to sacrifice something else to stay in your point range. For me it has helped me make better choices. I realize that the cookie or the chips aren't worth the points and will instead have fruit or another healthy snack. Do I still eat goodies sometimes? Absolutely! And this program allows for that.

I have lost over 7 pounds in the last month and I feel great. I go to weekly meetings which are wonderful and I utilize all of their online tools which keeps me motivated. The tracking of points is simple. I would recommend this program to anyone. And this is coming from a woman that has tried everything - literally - to lose weight. I can see myself being a success with this program and I can see this becoming my lifestyle. This is not a temporary fix. This is real! WW is a great system.

I needed to make a change to my Weight Watchers membership. I have been a member of Weight Watchers since January 2016. I was shocked at how horrible and terrible and rude of the customer service was! It's obviously a call center in the Philippines and the women there speak very loudly and in a very condescending tone. I had to call three different times because the woman on the phone the first time and the second time could not figure out how to make this simple change to my account. She insisted on changing my password and finally after three days of dealing with this the situation was resolved.

Hello, I just wanted to complain about the process of cancelling my account, I called on October 2016 to cancel my account and the lady who answered the phone was very nice and told there was not going to be any problem and that I will receive a refund, she told me to send my pass, which I sent. I waited patiently for the refund in my account and never received it, I called today and a customer service person told me that I was not going to receive anything because they didn't receive the monthly pass back within 2 weeks after canceling the account. I was never told about this. They never gave me a timeline to send my pass. Just an excuse to not give your money back. I will never deal with WW anymore and will make sure that all my friends and family know about this.

I signed up and the free starter kit was a pamphlet and a plate that broke within a few days! I canceled almost immediately and they still charged me about 50 dollars for maybe a week! Their company is a ripoff!

Weight Watchers claims to have customer service, but they don't. After three phone calls in two days to someone who barely speaks my language and reads from a script and doesn't know when to stop talking, I am fed up. No pun intended. It's sad that they have outsourced this important service offshore to the cheapest workers who aren't getting the job done. Maybe our new president will bring the work back home where it belongs.

Buyer BEWARE! Believe everything that is said in these reviews about Weight Watchers billing! I tried canceling online and even speaking to a real person (a couple times) and they still kept charging my account! I finally had to mark the charge as fraudulent on PayPal to get their attention. Then they told me they had NO RECORD of any effort to cancel. Oh, and by the way, they cancelled my account with absolutely NO refund. They sent a terse reply, indicating that pretty much the entire debacle was my fault. Nice huh? This was the second time I have done business with the company with the same outcome. I have learned my lesson and will never do business with them again and recommend you do the same.

I loved Weight Watchers prior to Feb 2016 when Oprah took over. Since she took over the points for each food item such as pudding snack jumped dramatically where you can't eat normal foods without going over your daily limit. Also, I figured out my actual calorie intake based on the new point system and it was actually UNDER 1,000 for the day so even though I was reaching my allotted daily points I was well under the recommended daily calorie allotment for someone dieting. This alone left me feeling VERY hungry and set me up to overeat because I felt like I was starving. I work out daily and this low calorie allotment does NOT match the daily points making it unhealthy and unrealistic. I used to love I could eat everything on the old program and feel satisfied and still lose weight. The new program is so restricted and anything with carbs or sugar is marked up so high in points that if you choose to eat that item you are almost maxed out for the day!

This made me feel like it didn't matter. At that point I was starving and needed to eat and to be honest I have not lost one pound. It actually caused me to gain weight because I always felt deprived. Please go back to old system. Just because Oprah wants to restrict her carbs to nothing doesn't mean this is good for the general population who is looking to lose a little weight or maintain. The program has now become unrealistic. Real life means eating all types of foods in moderation and this program causes MAJOR restrictions so once people start eating again they will certainly gain the weight back like I did. Please consider going back to old system prior to Oprah revamping points. Thank you.

Upon trying to cancel my subscription to Weight Watchers, I was offered a free month. I was then charged for the free month. When I requested my refund, I was told I must cancel the account. The free month was bogus and I am yet to receive a refund.

I signed up for a special 3 month promotion around Sept 2015. I told my local branch that I only wanted to attend for 2 and a half months because I had a planned pregnancy coming up. I wanted to prepay for the entire promotional period and not pay anything monthly afterward. They took my credit card info so I could pay. 2 weeks before my in vitro fertilization pregnancy date, I told the local branch that I would be pregnant in two weeks. They said they didn't want to know that because if they knew I was pregnant, then I wouldn't be able to attend anymore. That confused me because of course I didn't want to attend anymore if I would be pregnant. Besides, I prepaid and my prepaid period would be coming to an end so I wouldn't be able to attend anymore anyway... Or so I thought. I still got monthly pass cards in the mail, but thought WW didn't realize I was cancelled.

Today... My baby is now 6 months old and I decided to call WW to confirm I'm not paying for it since these cards keep coming. Apparently, $44.95 had been coming out of my debit card for over a year! The local branch never told me I'd have to call to cancel or that I'd even be charged after that one payment where I thought I was prepaying for 3 months. Tonight, I called and they refunded 6 months after I spoke to a supervisor. I'm still upset, though, because I paid a lot more than 6 months' worth. Also, the local branch should have told me that I'd continue to be charged or that I should cancel. They shouldn't have tried to pretend they didn't hear that I'd be pregnant soon. I think if I enroll at the branch, they should provide information to help their customers. If anyone mentions going to Weight Watchers, I will now tell them my story and actively discourage them from attending.

Just called to inquire about Weight Watchers and they charged my card 3 times and it took 2 weeks for me to get a refund, after they kept telling me that they only charged me once. I finally got my money back and signed up with a new company called VaughnCastle, where they teach you to be proactive when it comes to your health, Physically, mentally, spiritually and financially.

I pay only 25 dollars a month which includes weekly meetings, weigh ins, motivational coach, nutritional education, guest speakers, and it includes group walks to fitness meetups. And they don't recommend frozen processed high sodium foods like weight watchers foods. And coming soon, they'll have healthy cooking classes so bye bye Weight Watchers. You suck! Sorry Oprah I like you, but it's a little contradictory for you to act like you're eating that nasty frozen meals from weight watchers when you have a personal chef cooking your foods and measuring them to the perfect portion.

Like most reviews on this site, I fell victim to a Weight Watchers promotional offer. They now have a "note" listed on their website but the wording, I believe, is still intentionally misleading. The promotion leads you to believe that you are purchasing a discounted 3-month plan when it is actually an ongoing plan with the first 3 months discounted. And, like the others, I have paid an additional 3 months so far, at full price, for services that I didn't want & have never used. Really, Ms. Winfrey, is this the type of marketing you want to be associated with!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I have only been a member for 24 hours and been on the phone with customer service 4 times. I paid for membership $19.95 and they did 5 transactions out of my account. They assured me it was only one but my bank said they did it. Then when I spoke back to them they said for "authorization" purposes. Then I checked today and another charge. Needless to say I checked reviews and saw what happened to others so I immediately called and requested to cancel and refund my money. The rep was nice and hopefully it all goes through. I did get a cancellation email. Lesson learned. Check reviews before starting anything!!! I've done WW in past and it worked but hearing about this new PP program I'll stick to working out and eating in moderation.

I had to cancel my WW account because of unbelievable incompetence in the billing department. I had called at least 4 times to try and straighten out incorrect charges to my account. Each time I called, it would just get worse with more errors. By the end, I had just had enough and cancelled my account and credit card so they couldn't charge my account improperly anymore. I will never use WW again.

I canceled my subscription over a year ago. It was an unnecessarily complicated online process. Thinking it was done, I did not look for it in my automatic deductions but realized today, that I had been being charged the whole time. When I called, they said my subscription had never been canceled and that it was my problem. They canceled it (again) over the phone and said they would refund 2 little months (a drop in the bucket). When I opened this confirmation email, after "refund amount" it said: 0. I canceled because this company, when I joined in 2001, had a system and an ethic that was focused on its members. Over the years, their focus became profit and their commitment to members: lip service. This subscription debacle is a case in point.

I ordered Weight watchers several years ago and when I wasn't satisfied with the product and I went to cancel it they charged me the remaining portion of the saving I got when I ordered this product. This is false advertising.

I signed up for the 3 month online version at Weight Watchers website. I get to the point where they want my billing information. I tried multiple times & it kept giving me an error. Finally it goes through... I didn't think anything of the errors with entering my cc information. So the next day 12/31/2016 I check my bank account & come to realization that WW charged my account $49.85 seven times!!! I immediately called the customer service number & got connected with a guy who clearly didn't speak very well English. Go figure... He's telling me he only shows one transaction not seven. This guy asked for my credit card information to further evaluate why my card was charged so many times. I give him my information & he puts me on hold! He had me on hold for like 15 mins before he got back on the phone.

Finally gets back on the phone & tells me he is sorry but he can only see that my account was charged 1 time. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. He puts me on hold for another 15 to 20 mins. Finally gets back on the phone & tells me they were able to see the charges & the money will be put back on my credit card in 24 hrs. Also said this was for authorization purposes only! They apparently charged my account seven times for a total of almost $300 for authorization purposes only!!! So I hung up. Check my account the next day... & OF COURSE my money is still NOT in my bank account. So I called the customer service number once again this time DEMANDING 6 months for free & all of my money back this time.

The woman I spoke to of course didn't speak very good English again! She's tells me she can only see one transaction from my bank account on 12/30/2016. (But the guy I spoke to the day before said they were able to see all of the transactions.) She then puts me on hold for a few mins then gets back on the phone & asks for my credit card information. THIS TIME I refused! Explained I have already gone through this with someone else I'm not giving my information out again. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. She puts me on hold to see if she can find an available supervisor. Gets back on the phone & tells me nobody was available because they were all on the phone. Then states my money will be put on my card in 24-48 hours & that she can only give me 30 days of free service.

I demanded to speak to a supervisor again! Puts me on hold for a few mins then gets back on the phone & says nobody is available because it is Sunday & I can call back tomorrow. Needless to say... I didn't get my money back yet & still haven't spoke to anyone regarding getting 6 months free of Weight Watchers & why they took $300 out of my account...

Horrible customer service support. No follow-up. I requested a copy of all my 2016 transactions to submit to FSA. I am constantly getting the runaround. Still have not received the email copy of my payments. Please get the billing dept in order. I cancelled my account due to the problems. Thanks.

Weight Watchers Billing department are scammers. I canceled my account back in January of this year and they re-signed me back up without my authorization. I'm am currently working with my bank and I've gotten 90 days refunded. Weight Watchers is hanging up every time I call on the issue. They are being extremely evasive. I'm sure this is not a isolated incident. I am contacting my State's Attorney's Office for additional help.

I belonged years ago under the Points Plus Program and did great. I met my goal weight and was glad to recommend Weight Watchers to others. I joined this new Beyond the Scale Program in Oct for a 3 month term. I am very disappointed with the new program. It is nothing but common sense and "clean" eating while incorporating exercise. Anyone can do that - I don't intend to continue with the plan.

Expert Review

JJ VirginWeight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.    More about JJ→

Founded 50 years ago, Weight Watchers has evolved from solely a group-meeting weight loss program to strategic plans for different demographics and an online option. Weight Watchers assists members in losing weight by forming helpful habits, eating smarter, getting more exercise and providing support. Consumers looking for a budget-friendly option can simply purchase Weight Watchers brand food products at their grocery store or mass retailer and follow the plan's basic diet, which is available online. Those who want more support can join the program, which offers individuals plans including options like a smartphone-based app for tracking food and activities, in-person weekly support meetings, online community support and one-on-one coaching via text messaging or telephone.

• Buddy system: Studies show people who pair up with like-minded groups or friends attain better fat loss (and keep it off better) than those who go it alone. For anyone who needs group support – either in person or online – Weight Watcher is top notch.
  • Digital tools: High-tech apps and digital tools increase compliance and accountability, and make it easier for you to track your progress and stay motivated. Tech-savvy folks will find these valuable and even enjoyable.
  • Flexibility: The program allows flexibility to eat real food, allows people to maintain their social lives, and makes losing weight easy even with the busiest schedule without deprivation. Since no food is forbidden, you simply modify portion sizes to fit their PointsPlus® system.
  • Food philosophy: Weight Watchers is designed to be a lifestyle approach to food, so no foods are considered off limits. While this philosophy could become a slippery slope for people who have problems with cravings for certain unhealthy foods, it can also help by encouraging moderation and accountability for food choices.
  • Flexibility: Weight Watchers assigns "points" values for every food and helps you set a goal for how many points you should consume daily. This system means you can make low-point choices throughout the day in preparation for a special meal or event instead of having to forgo the extra calories because of your diet.
  • Best for new moms, college students, busy adults, teens, older men, older women and former athletes.

Compare Weight Loss Programs