WW (Weight Watchers)
3.62/5

Weight Watchers

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

WW is Weight Watchers Reimagined, a proven weight loss program founded in the 1960s. Their membership includes online tracking, in-person meetings, and one-on-one personal coaching. WW is focused on improving overall health, not just weight. Their app helps track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and find support within the online community. They also offer a SmartPoints and FitPoints program so members can start earning and stay on track.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

WW weight loss plans offer a lot of flexibility to dieters. Workshop + Digital plans offer in-person sessions and support, but all WW plans include a private online community for long-term weight loss success.

PROS

• SmartPoints Budget System
  • Digital WW app tracks progress
  • Personal support

CONS

• In-person aid not always available
  • Most meals must be prepared at home

Top WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

06/24/2019

I've been using WW for a month now and have had a very good experience. I've already recommended the service to two friends, one of which said he's signing up this week. The only negative issue I've had is with the App not giving me the same amount of flexibility as using a desktop computer...

06/27/2019

I’ve joined WW twice in the past, but find this plan the best they’ve ever had…The meeting I go to is amazing… it makes me feel part of a community, and supported. I love this program. I’ve been a member four weeks and am seeing a steady weight loss. I’m excited to go to my meetings.

About Weight Watchers diet

WW (formerly known as Weight Watchers) is a global weight loss and health management program for both short-term and long-term dieters. WW Freestyle programs use the SmartPoints Budget system, which allows members to follow the WW diet easily. WW provides more than 4,000 recipes that can be made at home, plus guidelines for how to eat out on the program. The company also lets brand ambassadors earn a commission through an affiliate program when they share WW with others.

How does Weight Watchers work?

The key to success in the WW program is a specially designed SmartPoints system. Every food and drink item is assigned a number based on its calories, saturated fat, protein and sugar content. Members are then given a weekly and monthly “budget,” taking into consideration their activity, health goals and lifestyle. Dieters track their food, exercise and progress to make sure they're on target with their health goals.

With the points system, up to four daily unused SmartPoints can roll over into the next weekly budget. There are also 200+ Zero Points foods, such as eggs, salmon, chicken breast and beans, which don't need tracking while in the program.

WW keeps members motivated through its free rewards program — WellnessWins — where members celebrate creating healthy habits. Rewards include fitness class passes, wine tumblers, and take anywhere organizers. All WW memberships include a private online community and 24/7 support from a WW Coach, which is accessible through the digital app.

Weight Watchers programs

WW currently offers three membership options: Digital, Workshops + Digital, or Personal Coaching + Digital. WW Freestyle is the core program followed in all three of WW plans.

• Digital: For those just starting, the Digital plan gives dieters 24/7 support through an app and website. Members get access to WW’s database of more than 4,000 recipes and access to Connect, a private online community. The app also syncs with fitness trackers.
  • Workshop + Digital: For dieters who prefer a more personalized program, WW offers in-person sessions in addition to their digital plans. There are more than 3,000 studio locations nationwide offering about 14,000 workshops a week. With the help of certified coaches, members learn how to manage and maintain weight loss through healthy strategies. Memberships also include weekly check-ins with WW coaches.
  • Personal Coaching + Digital: The WW Personal Coaching + Digital plans provide tailored one-on-one coaching as part of its premium packages. The Personal Coaching + Digital plan doesn't include private check-ins, but it does include personalized action plans that help members meet weight loss goals.

Compare Weight Watchers pricing options

Price per week*$3.07$6.92$12.92
Food and activity tracking
Weekly group Workshops
Personalized action plans
WW pricing varies by location. Costs shown here are based on ZIP code 74119.

How to use the Weight Watchers food scale

The WW food scale comes pre-programmed with a database of more than 500 foods. It also gives you the option of adding in calories, protein, sugar and saturated fat for the scale to calculate, making it easy to weigh foods at home or on the go. The WW SmartPoints kitchen scale can be used to weigh foods and can save up to 10 favorites for future reference.

Foods to eat on Weight Watchers

Generally, WW dieters eat foods that are rich in whole grains and fiber.

• Eggs
  • Fish
  • Beans
  • Avocado

Foods to avoid on Weight Watchers

WW dieters generally avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt, fat and calories.

• Burgers
  • Alcohol
  • Soda
  • Butter

Weight Watchers FAQ

What do you get when you join Weight Watchers?
All WW members get access to the digital program, which includes a database of 4,000+ recipes, a private online community and 24/7 support from a coach. All memberships include access to WW’s app, where members can track daily activity and food intake to see your progress. Some members opt to attend in-person sessions or work one-on-one with a WW coach.
How do you lose weight on Weight Watchers?
WW encourages weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise. WW uses the SmartPoints Budget system, where food and drink items are given a number. Based on your weight loss goals, you’re then given a weekly and daily “budget” of points.
What can I eat on Weight Watchers diet?
WW diets are flexible enough that you can almost eat anything you want (in moderation). With the SmartPoints system, you can create foods at home that fit into your weight loss goals or eat out with family and friends.
How much does Weight Watchers cost?
Programs start around $3 per week, and the standard monthly cost for the introductory plan is approximately $19.95 before tax.
How quickly can I lose weight on Weight Watchers?
Most people on the WW program see a weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. How quickly you lose weight on WW depends on your goals, activity level and lifestyle.
Where can I buy a Weight Watchers calculator?
SmartPoints calculators for the freestyle program can be purchased through WW’s online store.
Does Weight Watchers provide food?
No, WW does not provide food. Members are responsible for all their grocery shopping.
Does Weight Watchers have free registration?
Occasionally WW offers exclusive online specials when members can sign up for $0 and get 2 months free.

Is Weight Watchers worth it?

Yes. WW services are excellent for individuals looking to be part of a healthy community and get accountability on their journey. For a low monthly cost, members get access to WW’s website and app, which includes their WW Freestyle program and guidelines on their SmartPoints diet. Freestyle gives members a flexible approach to healthy eating, allowing for a personalized approach to weight loss.

WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I've been on WW for about a month. I lost about 13 lbs. I'v been overweight all my life. I've tried Adkins but I gained my weight back on it. I've educated myself a little on food addiction.mOn this program you must know yourself. You also must know Sugar and fats is very addicting. You are given a bunch of points throughout the day and basically no food is off limits. Let me ask you Can you eat 1 Oreo? Can you really eat 1 oz of Wise potato chips? If you can then this program is the best for you "the way it's written." I tried the program years ago thinking wow I can lose weight and still have Cookies and chips, but it never worked. It didn't work for me not because it can't be done. It didn't work because I'm a sugar and Carbohydrate addict.

A lot of people don't like the new program, but I do. I can have sweets such as apples, Blueberry, and Protein steak chicken. I also learned I like fish (which I never ate before WW) and I'm beginning to see I can have beans and chickpeas (zero points) and I'm losing weight. I do monitor myself. It’s very important for me that I do. Even though the diet is written no food is off limits you still have to be careful. For example, I had to give up a free food called grapes. I was eating the whole bag. Yes it's zero points but I want to lose weight and it still has calories and carbs. On Amazon I bought Flex Protein chips 24 hips (1 oz is 2 points) 1 bag of Doritos around one oz is 5 points. The whole bag flex protein chips is 9 points (5oz) so if I eat the whole thing I won't get in that much trouble. I have found if I keep the whole bag in bed with me, I will eat the whole bag. So I put the bag back into the kitchen (after taking my oz) and that worked better.

I'm a man that loves pizza, pasta, cookies and chips and meats. With this diet I can stay away from food that they offer at customer service appreciation week at work or the muffin my roommate offers. I have nice alternatives tip steak, London Broil, mesquite chicken, fish I buy at Sam's club, Blueberry's, Strawberry, and I can have equal with it, tilapia, all the shrimp I want (3 lbs at Sam's club $14.62). The wonderful thing about this diet I don't feel deprived. Sure, I'd like some pizza and one slice is 11 points. But I like the fact I feel healthier (I have a ton of energy now and I’m losing weight). I want that more for now. One day after I lose ½ my weight I’ll treat myself to pizza or find an alternative beforehand.

WW is big on giving a lot of points to condiments. I can have more quantity if I get let’s say low fat mayo. But I don’t want to feel deprived so I put on ‘REAL MAYO’ one teaspoon is (1 pt) a tablespoon is (3) pts. So I can have my Ever roast Boars head Chicken sandwich on 1 slice of bread (2 points) with all the chicken I want 2-4 oz (0 points,) tablespoon of real mayo (3 points). Guess what I’m happy I had real food for lunch and it's only 5 points. On this program if you are in a rush you can have a Whopper jr sandwich with cheese for 11 points and value onion rings for 5 points for a total of 16 points and I'm happy. (I only did that once because I know me) For burgers I usually have 8 oz burger (90%) lien (12 points) 1 slice of bread (2 points) teaspoon of real Hellman's mayo (1 pt) a total of 14 points and I had triple the meat real mayo and less carbs (which also helps for weight loss.) and I'm full for hours

I love this diet but again you need to customize it for yourself. Yes they have zero point food and low point food but that doesn't mean you can over eat. They have stuff on it like candy cookies and ice cream. Can you handle it staying in your budget? if you can't then yes you need to stay away. Addiction is addiction whether it's sugar, drugs or alcohol no program can solve that but you can put it in arrest by staying away and having other things you enjoy but not addicted to. To conclude I’ve lost 13 lbs in a month. I feel great on this program. I wish everyone luck on it. Remember it’s not perfect but for me it’s the best one out there.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I was working on the requirements for my employer to cover $25 a paycheck towards my insurance premium. I was to complete one of three options, two of which were easy: a physical at my doctor's office or a class on good sleeping habits. With all the medications I was on, I could have chosen the physical and called it good. The third was a 3 month trial of Weight Watchers.

I watched my mom struggle with her weight all my life, and not from lack of trying. Exercise, diets, nothing worked. I was her first born and never saw her healthy unless it was in old photos before she was pregnant with me. She developed diabetes and was on the Atkins diet only by necessity and had no weight loss. She finally lost 70 pounds by the time I was 21. The lap band surgery was what finally gave her what she'd wanted for two decades. It was stunning, but costly to her. It never taught her better habits that got her there, only forced her to eat much slower and much less at once. When the food inevitably got stuck above the band, it had to come back up. The constant acid up her throat damaged much of her vocal cords. My mom's singing voice was one of our family treasures. She was heartbroken at losing her ability.

I was gifted with a similar talent. I struggled with my own weight gains. I was terrified that I would have to give up my own singing voice in order to reach my previous state of health. Back to seeing that WW option. For free. I remember my grandma tried it and did well. She was the only person I knew who had. If my employer was willing to waste their money for three months when nothing happened and still pay part of my premiums, I felt I had nothing to lose. I had built confidence in myself that didn't rely on how I physically looked. It couldn't hurt to try it.

January 12th, 2018 I was 247 pounds. April 12th, I had lost 19.2 of them. That week my employer gave me an email thanking me for sticking with all three months. The same email informed me they were paying for the next nine months of my membership. I'd become convinced of the program's benefits a month before and was planning on paying it myself at the end of the three months. I was elated at this reward!

May 3rd I reached 25 down. In September, we had the first anniversary of our wedding. I was 38 down. April 5th, 2019 I was under 200 pounds. I hadn't seen that for at least 7 years. My husband woke up thinking something happened when he heard me yelling that morning. A month later I reached 50 pounds down. My dog's bag of food weighs 50 pounds, and I struggle to carry it.

My journey wasn't a total straight declining line. Whoever named them plateaus was a liar. Should have named them nauseous roller coasters. I've had FOUR of them... so far. At those times it boiled down to a waiting game and finding new ways to keep my physical confidence in myself high. I'm not ready to call it done. If I could choose an ultimate weight goal, mine would be 160 - the same as when I was 18. I don't have any baby weight to lose as I've never been pregnant. I'm only 35 pounds away as of May 19th. I've become a fan of my local thrift shop. I'll probably keep going there even after I no longer have clothes outgrowing me.

I finally found the contact info for those amazing souls who offered me the first three months on them. I'm working on sending them a big thank you. My husband has been in love with me and my body years before I started. This month he picked me up for the first time. He grins every time his arms wrap tighter around me than before. I see my face in the mirror and have found a long lost friend. Most of all, my biggest non-scale victory: I can still sing.

Original review: March 22, 2019

WW is a blessing! It is not perfect, but what program out there works better?! I tried MANY and WW is the ONLY program that has worked for me. I am a Lifetime member and planning to attend the workshops as long as I am able. I have never been as healthy as I am now, and WW IS what has helped! It is AMAZING how making 200 foods worth 0 points actually ENCOURAGES one to eat more of what we SHOULD be eating already.

Now... in actuality, living "well" is a lifetime commitment. Life constantly throws at us "trials and struggles". Of course eating STILL happens THROUGH these challenges... and the workshops provide support with many ideas of how to stay well THROUGH these hardships. I learn something new almost every week! I learn of new recipes that break the boredom syndrome which results from overuse of normal meal plans. Even in Lifetime, EACH workshop brings something motivational, interesting, and encouraging to me. Living well is a lifetime commitment... so WW allows for lifetime accountability and encouragement from others (at no extra cost)... and even continues to reward you. If one does not care for the reward options, then one is welcome to donate their wins to someone in need. THAT is not a worthless reward but one with REAL meaning and more value than ANY of the other options combined!

WW is also a place to "give back" encouragement and help others along to "wellness" as one attends weekly workshops. If one follows the WW plan as taught, and "tracks" and eats as encouraged, plus follows through with other topics discussed in the workshops... like drinking minimally 6 cups of water, getting plenty of sleep, staying positive (which is encouraged in the workshops), exercising several times per week, eating plenty of protein-rich foods, and keeping accurate tracking of points in foods... then one will certainly be on their way to wellness that works! I'm am MORE than thankful for the WW program. It has CERTAINLY worked for me... Follow the program (meaning that you GO to the workshops and actually follow-through with what the coach encourages), and it WILL work for YOU!!!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I am enjoying the WW online only experience. I find the tracking software easy to use. I also enjoy Connect, though I do not, as yet, post to it. I appreciate the recent efforts to restore civility and focus to Connect by providing guidelines for political posting. Though everyone says "scroll on by," it is a more pleasant atmosphere when there is not a plethora of angry posts bashing a particular political party, person or value. I do see that there is a limited angry backlash to new guidelines, but I believe many people also appreciate an attempt to keep Connect a positive place.

I would love to see the WW website Connect feature to become as fully functional as the phone app. Not all people live on an iPhone or android phone, and some actually prefer to use a personal computer. It would be nice to have the same "clickability" on the website for features such as looking up a particular Connect member, following and UNfollowing other Connect members, etc. It would simplify the experience.

As far as the WW program itself and the change from SmartPoints to Freestyle, I do see the struggle that has resulted for two groups in particular: Those who struggle with portion control. The zero points foods which are more calorie dense (chicken, fish, eggs, Greek nonfat yogurt, beans, corn, etc) can become problematic for those who struggle with controlling portion size. Free doesn't mean zero calories. I believe, from reading Connect posts, that many people have found their weight loss stalling on Freestyle.

Those who LOVE all the foods which transitioned to zero points on Freestyle. For some people, the new program meant a gentle re-structuring of their food preferences... pushing them to healthier choices. But, if a person already loved and frequently "budgeted" and ate those newly zero foods, I think it might have had the same effect as for those who struggle with portion control. Now a person suddenly has "extra points" simply by virtue of the choices they already regularly made becoming zero point foods... "freeing up" points to spend on things which might now be causing a stall in weight loss. (If that makes sense.)

Perhaps a workable process might be to have the healthy, yet calorie dense foods be zero points for a first serving, and have points when more than 1/2 cup, or 3 oz (for example) is consumed. Don't know if that complicates things too much. Those are my thoughts!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I am writing to you to celebrate a long time goal (not WW goal yet but planning on making it to LIFETIME) that I was doubting myself. I FINALLY made it to 179 after been stuck in 180-184 for over 1 year and the scale has not budged. To be honest some of it was my fault and not totally being true to the plan, others reasons are that I didn't have my head in the game totally. Without seeing any movements on the scale and other reasons I didn't track honestly. Also I used to be at a size 18 jeans pushing bigger if I didn't stop myself. Now I am in a size 14 and those are now loose and falling down with having to get a smaller size. I'm not sure if I can get into a size 12 yet. But if I do that is the smallest size that I have wore and that we back in High School. UPDATE: I can wear a size 12!!!!!

I have a bunch of reasons now which is I am proud of MYSELF for where I am at now versus where I started at. I started Weight Watchers at my all time highest weight at 217 and I am 2 pounds from a 40 pounds loss. This makes me want to cry happy tears. I first joined Weight Watchers back in 2006 and never stayed on it very long just to get my 16 weeks and 10%. (that old charm holder that looks like 10%) I have been previously been borderline diabetes and with losing weight I have defeated that for a long time. I have been for over 1 year right in the normal range. It runs in my family on both sides so I was told that I choose when I get it our if I get it. It took a long time to really take care about myself.

I started this back in February 2016 and other people doubted me and said that I couldn't do it. Plus other people at my work back then started a diet of their own choice. Then shortly after I joined and I was keeping my eye on the prize. They ALL ended up stoping their diet and then I got the normal why are you paying to loose weight? Well my why was cause I did it before years ago but fell off the wagon hard. But I kept going on the path cause I wanted to prove them wrong and that I could do it; but now I am happy to say that I am doing this for me and I don't care what anyone things.

I was focused on the number on the scale versus how my clothes fit, how I feel, and you know all the other things like we all have felt once we got there. I had some bad habits like just taking cookie dough out of the fridge and eating it like a snack, eating in my car tubes of frosting, 2-3 donuts in one sitting. I look back at that now and think “ Why did I do that to myself I only made it worse and harder to work off after how many times that I did that”.

I have a great leader and our corner of friends at the meeting every Saturday that I go weigh in. I have a great family support of my husband that keeps me in check if I like it or not, and close friends that hasn't had doubts. I have other friends that have helped me through this and seen them get to goal. I also have a great accountability partner Kathleen we have stuck together no matter what type of week we have we communicate everyday multi times a day. We keep each other going. She has became a close friend to me like another family member.

I also have just finally be able to get my wedding ring past my knuckle. I haven't been able to do that until now. I thank you for believing in me while I didn't believe in myself but I am happy to say I am in the game and not giving up this feeling at all. I also just signed up for to run my 5K in Maryland in November this year. I am in training to prepare for it. In closing this is what my why would be other than the common things family and feeling better about myself. I have never put thought of what or how I would put my why. I did not intend for this to be this long but more came out while I was thinking and makes me think of how far I have came from the start.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I was a long time WW member and cancelled because the $20/month was not worth the money because I wasn’t using the app. One or two months after cancelling I received a nice email from WW from the Chief Science Officer which addressed me as a “member of our extended family” and offered me 3 months free if I rejoin. So I read the nice letter and clicked the “I’m in!” Link to restart my membership. Well after a few weeks I decided it's not for me because I need a more stricter eating plan. I have Insulin Resistance and really need to control and count my fruit intake- but all fruit is “free” zero point food on WW. So I decided on another weight loss plan that helps me keep track of all carbs for now.

So after 3 weeks of not using the WW plan I decided to cancel- and was charged $64.95 for early cancellation! The email was totally misleading- it offered “3 months free”. If 3 months are free, why am I charged $64.95 in less than a month because I realized the plan isn’t for me? I called and spoke with a rep and a supervisor and had no success in waiving or refunding the cancellation fee. The supervisor named Precious said I should dispute the charge with my bank but they have absolutely no way of refunding my money. She gave me a case id number to give my bank to get a refund. Obviously in telling me to dispute the charge, WW KNOWS that they just scammed me! I think it is so unfair and bad business practice! I was just suckered out of $65 for nothing. I got nothing! Very misleading and tricky to lure former members out of more money!

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Christen, we are sorry to hear of your experience and frustration and we would love the opportunity to look at your account. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Today for second time I tried to cancel WW subscription by phone and I can not believe that it was not effective the first time and now they say that I have to pay an additional fee of 64 dollars. I will have to ahead and cancel my credit card. I am very disappointed.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Rocio, we are sorry to hear of your experience and we would love the opportunity to assist you. A member of our Resolution Team will be reaching out to you here. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

My dad sent me a link to join for what seemed like a free trial. They could have been more clear that it was NOT a free trial, but instead a membership with the first month free. When cancelling, it gave me the option to pay $40 to cancel now or to pay $20 per month for two more months before cancelling, so $40 either way. I know it’s not much, but I just got a house and am paying an expensive mortgage. I’m not in a place where I can waste money unnecessarily like this. I used this system for less than two weeks, and it wasn’t for me (I’m too busy with work and school to try to keep track of everything I eat, especially the food I cook that’s harder to account for). I shouldn’t have to pay anything. I’m over it. Beware!!

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Lauren, thanks for reaching out and for sharing your concerns with us. We would love the opportunity to take a look at your account. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I used WW online. I have been trying for months to extricate myself from WW, but every month they take another $24.95 from my iTunes account. I called again today and was finally told that there is language in what I agreed to that has a required minimum term to be completed—even though the pricing was specifically for a month to month plan! Sneaky, underhanded, lousy customer treatment. But ultimately my fault—lesson is that I need to read what I sign. Underhanded.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Hi Brian, we appreciate you for reaching out. A member of our Resolution Team will be in touch shortly. We look forward to assisting you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I went to cancel my membership on the first day I was billed. They would not refund for the month. I called, talked to 3 supervisors. One said they are not obligated to give a refund, the next said because of why I'm cancelling they can't give me a refund and the last said she would rather lose me as a member for life than give me a refund. This was all because I said I was leaving because I got a trainer. I would suggest trying other plans that are more customer service focused.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

We are sorry to hear you have canceled your account and that your experience was less than great, Brad. A member of our Resolution Team will be reaching out to you shortly to help. We look forward to assisting you.

WW (Weight Watchers) Company Information