Call toll free
3.95/5
Based on 966 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Weight Watchers is a proven weight loss program founded in the 1960s. Their membership includes online tracking, in-person meetings, and one-on-one personal coaching. Weight Watchers is focused on improving overall health, not just weight. Their app helps track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and find support within the online community. They also offer a SmartPoints and FitPoints program so members can start earning and stay on track.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1568 Weight Watchers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

When I joined there was an advertisement on TV which talked about a discount on joining plus around $70. in merchandise. I joined online but when I went to my first meeting I was told that I needed to call Weight Watchers directly to see about the $70. offer. I was told that I don't qualify for the offer because of something having to do with the place I go for meetings. The person gave me a free month which is nice but still does not make up for the items I was supposed to receive. I am disappointed by this.

Weight Watchers response

We would love to help you with your request and we sincerely apologize for your experience, Paty. We will reach out to you privately in hopes of assisting you further.

--Weight Watchers Resolution Team--

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I am very pleased with the program, am losing weight steadily and I always have enough to eat as it is easy to determine healthy foods to eat and still lose weight. I have lost weight every week for eight weeks even though I splurged a couple of times. That is incredible to me. Yea! Suggestion: I would suggest a short introductory meeting for new participants, I did not know what to expect in the meetings such as; what awards are presented ex. 4 weeks, 10 lbs. lifetime, what topics should not be discussed in a meeting like potential health effects of unrefined sugar crystals, stevia, agave sweetener, aspartame, etc. Ideas for recipes with very common ingredients would be welcome to me. Most of the recipes have ingredients I would never have on hand and that is discouraging from using them. Overall I am thrilled with the program and the phone app for tracking. Thank You Weight Watchers!!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I started the online version of WW Freestyle seven weeks ago. It was hard to adjust to because we were used to the old way of doing the points. After some adjustment to thinking, it fell into place. The first four weeks went great, and I lost 20 pounds. Then I came to a screeching halt. In the last three weeks, I've lost a total of 1.4 lbs. I know that slow is good, but I'm frustrated as anything. This is not easy to stick to, and I expect a return commensurate with the pain. I'm just not getting it. I've tried to find solutions on the website, but other than some rah rah stuff, there's nothing.

Weight Watchers response

Weight Watchers is committed to your success and we want to assist you on your weight loss journey. A Resolution Specialist will reach out to you privately to help you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Joined online this time. Have a been a weekly meeting member too many times in the past to count. Online is working for me this time. The Connect postings are motivational and always show me that others are experiencing the same ups/downs. The website is a little cumbersome and hard to maneuver between my laptop and iPhone since some of the features aren't on both. The new free foods list is a game changer because you will never be hungry with those. All in all, positive experience and plan to continue my online membership versus the meetings that I end up quitting after a few weeks. I can check in online on my own time and that has been the best thing about it for me.

Original review: June 15, 2018

2 years ago I lost my pregnancy weight using Smartpoints (30points) and loved the program. I joined again in April of this year again to lose pregnancy weight, under the Freestyle program and can’t stand Freestyle. I felt extremely limited in the types of protein I could eat as I don’t really enjoy seafood or beans. I have “hacked” my app to register 30 points and use the app following the old system.. But anytime anyone asks me how I’m losing my weight. I tell them by following Weight Watchers old program and I HIGHLY recommend they do not do freestyle. I am beyond angry with WW (and tell everyone I can about my distractions). I can’t wait to reach goal this month and be done paying money for an app I had to adjust anyways.

Weight Watchers response

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy Freestyle, Ashley. We would like the opportunity to assist you on your journey. A Resolution Specialist will reach out to you shortly to assist you.

--Weight Watchers Resolution Team--

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weight Watchers?

Original review: June 14, 2018

I joined Weight Watchers on April 17, 2018... I have lost 16.6 lbs in 8 weeks and I feel great. My success comes from tracking everything I eat and the APP makes it sooo easy to do so. I don't eat anything in a restaurant or at home until I have tracked how many points the foods are. That determines what I will eat for that meal. I am 61 years old and have never been successful with diet plans. This has become a whole new way of living for me and I am thrilled with the results. I still have quite a way to go to my goal weight, but I feel confident I will achieve it. Thank you WW.

Weight Watchers response

We are so delighted to hear about your weight loss and wellness success so far, Carol! We wish you continued success and are cheering you on!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 13, 2018

I downloaded the app, opened an account with a free test period. I immediately lost a family member and I'm dealing with my own personal health matters, and they refused to reimburse me, but only a small portion of what has been charged. Customer service is important to me, and from speaking to the rep and supervisor, it's clear they don't care about their clients. Just one of the many. I won't be using them again.

Weight Watchers response

We express our deepest condolences for the loss to your family, Danielle. A specialist will reach out to you privately to help resolve the issue with your account.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have stage 4 chronic kidney disease. My doctors kept saying lose weight. But you need watch your potassium and sodium intake. Oh and watch your carbs. I was honestly lost and desperate to lose the weight. Then I found Weight Watchers. Double checked with my primary doctor and renal team. I got the green light! Now I’m down almost 20lbs since joining in April of this year! I love freestyle. It’s easy so very easy! I’m losing weight and feeling better than I ever had before on previous Weight Watchers programs! I will be a lifelong freestyler! Thank You Weight Watchers. This is only my begging!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have received good information and tips at the meetings. Also have had good results. I am glad that I have somebody to be accountable to. The tools on the internet have been helpful for tracking my meals and activities.

Original review: June 11, 2018

A police officer confided to me that he lost 40 lbs on Weight Watchers, and then he showed me the app. It looked easy, so I decided to take the plunge the next day. That was 6 weeks ago. I've lost 14 lbs so far, and I know there will be more! I am almost 65 years old, and I thought I could never lose the weight I had gained. My husband is quite inspired by my loss, in many ways, and does a lot of the right foods with me. We are now both known as "healthy eaters" among our friends and I fit in a few items that were getting too small for me. It's fun!

Weight Watchers response

Thank you so much, Andrea, for sharing your weight loss and wellness journey with us! We wish you and your husband continued success!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have very successfully, used WW online in the past. Their programs are easy to follow, and there is plenty of variety in the foods, you are able to eat. This new program, is much more restrictive, yes, there are 200 free foods, but they were all lower point foods on the old program and beyond that list, everything is much higher, to compensate. On top of that, the daily points are much lower, too. I don't care for it. I am going back to a low carb diet, because many of the WW foods are not that healthy and full of sugar.

Weight Watchers response

We would love to assist you on your weight loss journey, Patricia. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have been doing Weight Watchers for 8 weeks now! I absolutely love how they show you what to eat and lose weight! I have lost 12.6 pounds so far and eat what I like. They give you the tools you need and the rest is up to you!! It’s worth the money for me to be healthy.

Original review: June 11, 2018

WW actually lives up to the hype! All of the promotional tools used to advertise the product and the lifestyle are telling the truth. It's the only product that I've tried that has created lasting change and given me the tools to continually be successful no matter what life throws at me.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Weight Watchers is truly the only sustainable way to lose and manage weight. It's not a fad, there are no supplements, no need to have a list of CAN'T EATS. It's so easy to prepare regular food that the entire family can enjoy. WW teaches members how to be more aware of the foods we eat and the portion sizes. Those following the plan can pretty much eat what they want - they just count it and make trade offs when there's a special meal occasion or treat. It's a lot like a bank account - there are a certain amount of points to spend. If you want something special, you just cut somewhere else.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I continue to have difficulty w/ the app to enter the foods. It does not displays foods you have eaten in the past weeks but maybe for a different meal. Example; dinner foods one day then same foods for lunch the next day--difficult to navigate. Also unable to place multiple foods at once for one meal--similar to MyFitnessPal. When asked my experience w/ the app, I write the information but it doesn't take it.

Weight Watchers response

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your experience with our app, Denise. A specialist will reach out to you privately to assist you with these issues. We're happy to help!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Losing weight with WW is a slow, but successful journey. It is a life-long process that needs to be adhered to after reaching your goal weight. What makes my journey much easier is my wonderful leader, Terri **. She makes the meetings so much fun, and gives us the desire to succeed.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I don't overeat when I am sad. I overeat when I am happy. I must be a very happy person because over the past couple of years I have put on 30 lbs. I decided I had better get some weight off and Weight Watchers is what works best for me. You see, I love food! All kinds of food. And with this program I can satisfy my every craving for most every food I like. All I have to do is keep within the point range. It's only been about 2 weeks and I have lost 4.6 lbs. Not a bad start and it is certainly encouraging to see that. I am 65 years old and still pretty active but I was getting bogged down with too much weight. With just this small improvement, my energy is returning.

Weight Watchers response

Congratulations on your awesome weight loss and wellness success, Karen! We wish you continued success on your journey!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I’m thrilled with the Freestyle version of the Weight Watchers Program. Having the app online allows me to record what I eat and have a quick reference so I can customize my day. Additionally, I can record my activity, set goals and get helpful tips and recipes. Coupled with attending class, I feel I have all the support, and then some to make this successful lifestyle change.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Weight Watchers has helped change the way I see food. I’m so grateful for food that nourishes my body and don’t focus on food that brings me down. WW really gave me the tools I need to lose all the weight I’ve been carrying for years. As a new Mom, it’s an easy program and matches my busy lifestyle.

Original review: June 11, 2018

A friend at work started back on WW a couple of months ago, and the more I heard about the new plan, the more I wanted to go back! I became a Lifetime member about 27 years ago, and with the pressures of having elderly parents to care for, and my own health issues, I pretty much "let myself go," so to speak. I'm at a point in my life where I realize that the best thing I can do for my family is to take care of myself.

I've only been on the Freestyle program for two weeks now, but I already feel empowered to make good choices for myself in regards to my eating habits, and that's also carrying over into making good choices for other aspects of my life. The app is FABULOUS! It makes choosing wisely so simple! It makes keeping track of points so simple! And I love that it syncs with my Fitbit for those activity points! I still have a fairly long way to go, but I'm confident I can once again attain my goal weight and be the healthy, happy person I know I am inside!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I like the program and I am succeeding with it, but I do not do the meetings and rely completely on the app and it crashes each and every day. Doesn't matter how many times I updated, I even got a new phone, it just still crashed. I have actually been wanting to send something to customer service to see about getting a credit about this.

Weight Watchers response

We are very sorry to hear of your app experience and we would love the opportunity to do some troubleshooting with you, Ryan. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The plan is working great for me. 20# down in 10 weeks. I pay for meetings because I like the accountability of weighing in. It's a real circus at these meetings; the lining up, moving the line, the leader barking at the line, the women being catty in the line, the meeting average age 65+. It is like living a SNL episode in real life. Somehow you need to get a 40/50 and under meeting. It is so untranslatable for the younger generations.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have had a very positive experience with WW so far! I have done my fair share of diets and this is so much more than that! It is teaching me to make better choices that I will be able to use the rest of my life. It is not a "quick fix" solution where they process you an atypical weight loss amount but rather a new lifestyle that will help you lose weight safely and successfully!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I started WW as guide to eat healthier with a goal of getting to my pre pregnancy weight from 29 years ago. If you looked at me before you’d probably have thought why are you doing Weight Watchers because I was not in the real overweight category but definitely not comfortable in my body. I worked out 5 times a week, pretty hard, but age and lifestyle had caught up with me and I wanted to make a change. I joined WW freestyle on April 30th and am happy to report I reached my goal and am holding, even on vacation! It is so easy and I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a healthy change!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Weight Watchers has been my go to for weight loss. I've been on Freestyle for only a few weeks and chose the online. I do miss the weekly meetings, but am finding this is still working. It's so easy to track my points with the app. The zero point foods make it even easier. Boy, am I eating healthy and enjoying it. I also read the WW magazine and love the information I find there.

Weight Watchers response

We're so happy to hear you're enjoying your weight loss journey with our OnlinePlus plan, Maureen! We wish you great success with your weight loss and wellness journey!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I love how easy this program is. I have done Weight Watchers several times starting back in the early 70’s. This time is even better with the app making it so easy to keep track of the points and love the recipes.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have been a lifetime member of Weight Watchers for about 40 years. I have been on & off the program too many times to count. Their newest program, “Freestyle”, is the best program ever. If you’re using the app it couldn’t be easier. I actually started out on Nutrisystem. I only stayed on that for a month & a half. Most of the food is awful but I was laid up because of foot surgery & couldn’t cook so this worked out ok. When I switched to Weight Watchers I was able to track points of everything, including the Nutrisystem food I had left. So easy to scan anything & everything. I use both the meetings & the online program & couldn’t be happier. I never feel deprived, I can dine out & there’s nothing I can’t eat. Between WW & NS I’ve lost 35 lbs since March & still have a long ways to go but I plan on sticking with it for the rest of my life... I haven’t felt this good in a very long time. I highly recommend it for a lifestyle change.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I had never paid much attention to the food I ate. Now it is most important. I am losing weight -- 10 lbs first two weeks. My goal is 100 lbs. It becomes easier to follow every day and I am really never hungry. I had a piece of my birthday cake, lots of points but I planned for it so all was OK.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I love the program and the app makes it so easy to stick with it. My two favorite features are the barcode scanner and the browse restaurant function. These two features help WW fit into my lifestyle. I also really like the blue dot tracking of the days that I eat within my guidelines. The one thing that is difficult for me is if I have banked points and I use them... and I don’t get my blue dot.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Weight Watchers continues to be my favorite weight-loss plan. The accountability of meetings, the science of healthy eating, and the atmosphere of camaraderie is unsurpassed. When I enter a meeting room, I feel as though I am home. Real people, real food. Having Oprah as a mentor makes it even better!

Weight Watchers response

We're very delighted to hear you're enjoying your meetings and weight loss journey with Weight Watchers, Jennifer! We wish you the best of success!

Weight Watchers expert review by JJ Virgin

Founded 50 years ago, Weight Watchers assists members in losing weight by forming helpful habits, eating smarter, getting more exercise and providing support.

• Buddy system: Studies show people who pair up with like-minded groups or friends attain better fat loss (and keep it off better) than those who go it alone. For anyone who needs group support – either in person or online – Weight Watcher is top notch.

• How does Weight Watchers work?: Weight Watchers assigns "points" values for every food and helps you set a goal for how many points you should consume daily. This system means you can make low-point choices throughout the day in preparation for a special meal or event instead of having to forgo the extra calories because of your diet. Consumers looking for a budget-friendly option can simply purchase Weight Watchers brand food products at their grocery store or mass retailer and follow the plan's basic diet, which is available online.​ Those who want more support can join the program, which offers individuals plans including options like a smartphone-based app for tracking food and activities, in-person weekly support meetings, online community support and one-on-one coaching via text messaging or telephone.​

• Digital tools: High-tech apps and digital tools increase compliance and accountability and make it easier for you to track your progress and stay motivated. Tech-savvy folks will find these valuable and even enjoyable.

• Flexibility: The program allows flexibility to eat real food, allows people to maintain their social lives, and makes losing weight easy even with the busiest schedule without deprivation. Since no food is forbidden, you simply modify portion sizes to fit their PointsPlus® system.

• Food philosophy: Weight Watchers is designed to be a lifestyle approach to food, so no foods are considered off limits. While this philosophy could become a slippery slope for people who have problems with cravings for certain unhealthy foods, it can also help by encouraging moderation and accountability for food choices.

• Best for: new moms, college students, busy adults, teens, older men, older women and former athletes.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
JJ Virgin

Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Weight Watchers Company Information