WW (Weight Watchers)
3.68/5

Weight Watchers

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

WW is Weight Watchers Reimagined, a proven weight loss program founded in the 1960s. Their membership includes online tracking, in-person meetings, and one-on-one personal coaching. WW is focused on improving overall health, not just weight. Their app helps track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and find support within the online community. They also offer a SmartPoints and FitPoints program so members can start earning and stay on track.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

WW weight loss plans offer a lot of flexibility to dieters. Workshop + Digital plans offer in-person sessions and support, but all WW plans include a private online community for long-term weight loss success.

PROS

• SmartPoints Budget System
  • Digital WW app tracks progress
  • Personal support

CONS

• In-person aid not always available
  • Most meals must be prepared at home

Top WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

06/24/2019

I've been using WW for a month now and have had a very good experience. I've already recommended the service to two friends, one of which said he's signing up this week. The only negative issue I've had is with the App not giving me the same amount of flexibility as using a desktop computer...

06/27/2019

I’ve joined WW twice in the past, but find this plan the best they’ve ever had…The meeting I go to is amazing… it makes me feel part of a community, and supported. I love this program. I’ve been a member four weeks and am seeing a steady weight loss. I’m excited to go to my meetings.

About Weight Watchers diet

WW (formerly known as Weight Watchers) is a global weight loss and health management program for both short-term and long-term dieters. WW Freestyle programs use the SmartPoints Budget system, which allows members to follow the WW diet easily. WW provides more than 4,000 recipes that can be made at home, plus guidelines for how to eat out on the program. The company also lets brand ambassadors earn a commission through an affiliate program when they share WW with others.

How does Weight Watchers work?

The key to success in the WW program is a specially designed SmartPoints system. Every food and drink item is assigned a number based on its calories, saturated fat, protein and sugar content. Members are then given a weekly and monthly “budget,” taking into consideration their activity, health goals and lifestyle. Dieters track their food, exercise and progress to make sure they're on target with their health goals.

With the points system, up to four daily unused SmartPoints can roll over into the next weekly budget. There are also 200+ Zero Points foods, such as eggs, salmon, chicken breast and beans, which don't need tracking while in the program.

WW keeps members motivated through its free rewards program — WellnessWins — where members celebrate creating healthy habits. Rewards include fitness class passes, wine tumblers, and take anywhere organizers. All WW memberships include a private online community and 24/7 support from a WW Coach, which is accessible through the digital app.

Weight Watchers programs

WW currently offers three membership options: Digital, Workshops + Digital, or Personal Coaching + Digital. WW Freestyle is the core program followed in all three of WW plans.

• Digital: For those just starting, the Digital plan gives dieters 24/7 support through an app and website. Members get access to WW’s database of more than 4,000 recipes and access to Connect, a private online community. The app also syncs with fitness trackers.
  • Workshop + Digital: For dieters who prefer a more personalized program, WW offers in-person sessions in addition to their digital plans. There are more than 3,000 studio locations nationwide offering about 14,000 workshops a week. With the help of certified coaches, members learn how to manage and maintain weight loss through healthy strategies. Memberships also include weekly check-ins with WW coaches.
  • Personal Coaching + Digital: The WW Personal Coaching + Digital plans provide tailored one-on-one coaching as part of its premium packages. The Personal Coaching + Digital plan doesn't include private check-ins, but it does include personalized action plans that help members meet weight loss goals.

Compare Weight Watchers pricing options

Price per week*$3.07$6.92$12.92
Food and activity tracking
Weekly group Workshops
Personalized action plans
WW pricing varies by location. Costs shown here are based on ZIP code 74119.

How to use the Weight Watchers food scale

The WW food scale comes pre-programmed with a database of more than 500 foods. It also gives you the option of adding in calories, protein, sugar and saturated fat for the scale to calculate, making it easy to weigh foods at home or on the go. The WW SmartPoints kitchen scale can be used to weigh foods and can save up to 10 favorites for future reference.

Foods to eat on Weight Watchers

Generally, WW dieters eat foods that are rich in whole grains and fiber.

• Eggs
  • Fish
  • Beans
  • Avocado

Foods to avoid on Weight Watchers

WW dieters generally avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt, fat and calories.

• Burgers
  • Alcohol
  • Soda
  • Butter

Weight Watchers FAQ

What do you get when you join Weight Watchers?
All WW members get access to the digital program, which includes a database of 4,000+ recipes, a private online community and 24/7 support from a coach. All memberships include access to WW’s app, where members can track daily activity and food intake to see your progress. Some members opt to attend in-person sessions or work one-on-one with a WW coach.
How do you lose weight on Weight Watchers?
WW encourages weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise. WW uses the SmartPoints Budget system, where food and drink items are given a number. Based on your weight loss goals, you’re then given a weekly and daily “budget” of points.
What can I eat on Weight Watchers diet?
WW diets are flexible enough that you can almost eat anything you want (in moderation). With the SmartPoints system, you can create foods at home that fit into your weight loss goals or eat out with family and friends.
How much does Weight Watchers cost?
Programs start around $3 per week, and the standard monthly cost for the introductory plan is approximately $19.95 before tax.
How quickly can I lose weight on Weight Watchers?
Most people on the WW program see a weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. How quickly you lose weight on WW depends on your goals, activity level and lifestyle.
Where can I buy a Weight Watchers calculator?
SmartPoints calculators for the freestyle program can be purchased through WW’s online store.
Does Weight Watchers provide food?
No, WW does not provide food. Members are responsible for all their grocery shopping.
Does Weight Watchers have free registration?
Occasionally WW offers exclusive online specials when members can sign up for $0 and get 2 months free.

Is Weight Watchers worth it?

Yes. WW services are excellent for individuals looking to be part of a healthy community and get accountability on their journey. For a low monthly cost, members get access to WW’s website and app, which includes their WW Freestyle program and guidelines on their SmartPoints diet. Freestyle gives members a flexible approach to healthy eating, allowing for a personalized approach to weight loss.

2589 WW (Weight Watchers) Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 20, 2019

I was working on the requirements for my employer to cover $25 a paycheck towards my insurance premium. I was to complete one of three options, two of which were easy: a physical at my doctor's office or a class on good sleeping habits. With all the medications I was on, I could have chosen the physical and called it good. The third was a 3 month trial of Weight Watchers.

I watched my mom struggle with her weight all my life, and not from lack of trying. Exercise, diets, nothing worked. I was her first born and never saw her healthy unless it was in old photos before she was pregnant with me. She developed diabetes and was on the Atkins diet only by necessity and had no weight loss. She finally lost 70 pounds by the time I was 21. The lap band surgery was what finally gave her what she'd wanted for two decades. It was stunning, but costly to her. It never taught her better habits that got her there, only forced her to eat much slower and much less at once. When the food inevitably got stuck above the band, it had to come back up. The constant acid up her throat damaged much of her vocal cords. My mom's singing voice was one of our family treasures. She was heartbroken at losing her ability.

I was gifted with a similar talent. I struggled with my own weight gains. I was terrified that I would have to give up my own singing voice in order to reach my previous state of health. Back to seeing that WW option. For free. I remember my grandma tried it and did well. She was the only person I knew who had. If my employer was willing to waste their money for three months when nothing happened and still pay part of my premiums, I felt I had nothing to lose. I had built confidence in myself that didn't rely on how I physically looked. It couldn't hurt to try it.

January 12th, 2018 I was 247 pounds. April 12th, I had lost 19.2 of them. That week my employer gave me an email thanking me for sticking with all three months. The same email informed me they were paying for the next nine months of my membership. I'd become convinced of the program's benefits a month before and was planning on paying it myself at the end of the three months. I was elated at this reward!

May 3rd I reached 25 down. In September, we had the first anniversary of our wedding. I was 38 down. April 5th, 2019 I was under 200 pounds. I hadn't seen that for at least 7 years. My husband woke up thinking something happened when he heard me yelling that morning. A month later I reached 50 pounds down. My dog's bag of food weighs 50 pounds, and I struggle to carry it.

My journey wasn't a total straight declining line. Whoever named them plateaus was a liar. Should have named them nauseous roller coasters. I've had FOUR of them... so far. At those times it boiled down to a waiting game and finding new ways to keep my physical confidence in myself high. I'm not ready to call it done. If I could choose an ultimate weight goal, mine would be 160 - the same as when I was 18. I don't have any baby weight to lose as I've never been pregnant. I'm only 35 pounds away as of May 19th. I've become a fan of my local thrift shop. I'll probably keep going there even after I no longer have clothes outgrowing me.

I finally found the contact info for those amazing souls who offered me the first three months on them. I'm working on sending them a big thank you. My husband has been in love with me and my body years before I started. This month he picked me up for the first time. He grins every time his arms wrap tighter around me than before. I see my face in the mirror and have found a long lost friend. Most of all, my biggest non-scale victory: I can still sing.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Back in 2002, on my 50th birthday, I was walking to a birthday lunch, thinking about how much weight I had gained over the past 10 years. From an average of between 115 - 118, I had topped out at 145. Not that people immediately looked at me and said I needed to lose weight, but It was a noticeable change. I went from a size 6 to a size 10. "I'm middle aged," I told myself. "That's what happens." But the minute I had that thought, I stopped in my tracks and rejected it. Vehemently.

That's when I first went to Weight Watchers. I made slow, steady progress, and hit my goal weight, 116, a 6 months later. By then I had started running too - and losing the extra weight really helped my race times. I stayed within 5 pounds of my weight for several years. Then, as I trained harder for races, long simmering digestive problems started to make me miserable. Going off dairy and gluten had a huge impact. For the first time I could get through a half marathon without having to stop. And then the pounds fell off like crazy. At my lowest, I began to look gaunt - down to 106 pounds.

I began to think I could eat anything without gaining weight. But after a couple of years, as I turned 66, I started to see my weight tick up again. Slowly but steadily. When I got to 117, I could feel it in my running. My clothes didn't fit. So I decided not to let things keep going and downloaded the WW app. I started the program again - and within 3 weeks was back down to 113. But most important, I was reminded about the basics: portion control, healthy eating and mindfulness. I still want to get back down to my running weight (between 107 - 109), although that's below what WW considers "healthy." So I'm going to keep at it. I feel great when I'm really thin and my strength to weight ratio is high.

Original review: March 22, 2019

WW is a blessing! It is not perfect, but what program out there works better?! I tried MANY and WW is the ONLY program that has worked for me. I am a Lifetime member and planning to attend the workshops as long as I am able. I have never been as healthy as I am now, and WW IS what has helped! It is AMAZING how making 200 foods worth 0 points actually ENCOURAGES one to eat more of what we SHOULD be eating already.

Now... in actuality, living "well" is a lifetime commitment. Life constantly throws at us "trials and struggles". Of course eating STILL happens THROUGH these challenges... and the workshops provide support with many ideas of how to stay well THROUGH these hardships. I learn something new almost every week! I learn of new recipes that break the boredom syndrome which results from overuse of normal meal plans. Even in Lifetime, EACH workshop brings something motivational, interesting, and encouraging to me. Living well is a lifetime commitment... so WW allows for lifetime accountability and encouragement from others (at no extra cost)... and even continues to reward you. If one does not care for the reward options, then one is welcome to donate their wins to someone in need. THAT is not a worthless reward but one with REAL meaning and more value than ANY of the other options combined!

WW is also a place to "give back" encouragement and help others along to "wellness" as one attends weekly workshops. If one follows the WW plan as taught, and "tracks" and eats as encouraged, plus follows through with other topics discussed in the workshops... like drinking minimally 6 cups of water, getting plenty of sleep, staying positive (which is encouraged in the workshops), exercising several times per week, eating plenty of protein-rich foods, and keeping accurate tracking of points in foods... then one will certainly be on their way to wellness that works! I'm am MORE than thankful for the WW program. It has CERTAINLY worked for me... Follow the program (meaning that you GO to the workshops and actually follow-through with what the coach encourages), and it WILL work for YOU!!!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I am enjoying the WW online only experience. I find the tracking software easy to use. I also enjoy Connect, though I do not, as yet, post to it. I appreciate the recent efforts to restore civility and focus to Connect by providing guidelines for political posting. Though everyone says "scroll on by," it is a more pleasant atmosphere when there is not a plethora of angry posts bashing a particular political party, person or value. I do see that there is a limited angry backlash to new guidelines, but I believe many people also appreciate an attempt to keep Connect a positive place.

I would love to see the WW website Connect feature to become as fully functional as the phone app. Not all people live on an iPhone or android phone, and some actually prefer to use a personal computer. It would be nice to have the same "clickability" on the website for features such as looking up a particular Connect member, following and UNfollowing other Connect members, etc. It would simplify the experience.

As far as the WW program itself and the change from SmartPoints to Freestyle, I do see the struggle that has resulted for two groups in particular: Those who struggle with portion control. The zero points foods which are more calorie dense (chicken, fish, eggs, Greek nonfat yogurt, beans, corn, etc) can become problematic for those who struggle with controlling portion size. Free doesn't mean zero calories. I believe, from reading Connect posts, that many people have found their weight loss stalling on Freestyle.

Those who LOVE all the foods which transitioned to zero points on Freestyle. For some people, the new program meant a gentle re-structuring of their food preferences... pushing them to healthier choices. But, if a person already loved and frequently "budgeted" and ate those newly zero foods, I think it might have had the same effect as for those who struggle with portion control. Now a person suddenly has "extra points" simply by virtue of the choices they already regularly made becoming zero point foods... "freeing up" points to spend on things which might now be causing a stall in weight loss. (If that makes sense.)

Perhaps a workable process might be to have the healthy, yet calorie dense foods be zero points for a first serving, and have points when more than 1/2 cup, or 3 oz (for example) is consumed. Don't know if that complicates things too much. Those are my thoughts!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I am writing to you to celebrate a long time goal (not WW goal yet but planning on making it to LIFETIME) that I was doubting myself. I FINALLY made it to 179 after been stuck in 180-184 for over 1 year and the scale has not budged. To be honest some of it was my fault and not totally being true to the plan, others reasons are that I didn't have my head in the game totally. Without seeing any movements on the scale and other reasons I didn't track honestly. Also I used to be at a size 18 jeans pushing bigger if I didn't stop myself. Now I am in a size 14 and those are now loose and falling down with having to get a smaller size. I'm not sure if I can get into a size 12 yet. But if I do that is the smallest size that I have wore and that we back in High School. UPDATE: I can wear a size 12!!!!!

I have a bunch of reasons now which is I am proud of MYSELF for where I am at now versus where I started at. I started Weight Watchers at my all time highest weight at 217 and I am 2 pounds from a 40 pounds loss. This makes me want to cry happy tears. I first joined Weight Watchers back in 2006 and never stayed on it very long just to get my 16 weeks and 10%. (that old charm holder that looks like 10%) I have been previously been borderline diabetes and with losing weight I have defeated that for a long time. I have been for over 1 year right in the normal range. It runs in my family on both sides so I was told that I choose when I get it our if I get it. It took a long time to really take care about myself.

I started this back in February 2016 and other people doubted me and said that I couldn't do it. Plus other people at my work back then started a diet of their own choice. Then shortly after I joined and I was keeping my eye on the prize. They ALL ended up stoping their diet and then I got the normal why are you paying to loose weight? Well my why was cause I did it before years ago but fell off the wagon hard. But I kept going on the path cause I wanted to prove them wrong and that I could do it; but now I am happy to say that I am doing this for me and I don't care what anyone things.

I was focused on the number on the scale versus how my clothes fit, how I feel, and you know all the other things like we all have felt once we got there. I had some bad habits like just taking cookie dough out of the fridge and eating it like a snack, eating in my car tubes of frosting, 2-3 donuts in one sitting. I look back at that now and think “ Why did I do that to myself I only made it worse and harder to work off after how many times that I did that”.

I have a great leader and our corner of friends at the meeting every Saturday that I go weigh in. I have a great family support of my husband that keeps me in check if I like it or not, and close friends that hasn't had doubts. I have other friends that have helped me through this and seen them get to goal. I also have a great accountability partner Kathleen we have stuck together no matter what type of week we have we communicate everyday multi times a day. We keep each other going. She has became a close friend to me like another family member.

I also have just finally be able to get my wedding ring past my knuckle. I haven't been able to do that until now. I thank you for believing in me while I didn't believe in myself but I am happy to say I am in the game and not giving up this feeling at all. I also just signed up for to run my 5K in Maryland in November this year. I am in training to prepare for it. In closing this is what my why would be other than the common things family and feeling better about myself. I have never put thought of what or how I would put my why. I did not intend for this to be this long but more came out while I was thinking and makes me think of how far I have came from the start.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Unpleasant. I joined Weight Watchers on the job. If you decide not to re-join Weight Watchers cancel immediately or you will not get a refund for the monthly charge. I do not know the time frame. Weight Watchers should do a better job to remind members at the end of session to cancel if you do not plan to join. But at the end of the day it's about money for Weight Watchers. They are a business.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback with us, Carolyn. Your concerns have been forwarded to the appropriate teams for review. We are sorry to lose you as a member, but we are always wishing you the very best on your wellness journey!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I've used Weight Watchers before and felt I needed to start tracking again, so I signed up for one of their offers. For the last two weeks, I've been unable to use the service successfully - I can only login via my phone, can't seem to log in online which is sometimes easier. So I decided I'd just track using a service my work company provides.

I request to cancel, stating how difficult it is to use and how I feel their database lacks a number of foods and they tell me now that I signed up for a 9 month commitment and am not allowed to cancel without paying 39.95 + applicable taxes. WHAT??? And that I should have been aware of that per my sign up. I wasn't aware. If I was, I wouldn't have signed up. I thought I was signing up for the same programs I've had before. This feels like robbery, unclear marketing and a definite disinterest in actually helping folks, but rather lining their pockets. BOO and shame on Weight Watchers. I am absolutely appalled and will be seeking legal counsel. It's only $40, but it's the principle of the thing. I can't even log in for Pete's sake.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and experience with us. A member of our Resolution Team will be reaching out to you to assist. We look forward to speaking with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 31, 2019

I was a member of Weight Watchers and did well losing weight. Then Freestyle was introduced and it was downhill from there. I started gaining weight. When I went to my meeting other members had the same experience and when questioned our leader told us that, of course, nothing is "free" and everything had to be eaten in moderation even though Freestyle is advertised as eating as much as you want of certain foods such as eggs (which never seemed like a very good idea), white chicken and turkey, tofu, etc., etc. Everything has calories, but that's not the way Freestyle is presented.

We left our meeting realizing that we'd have to be more careful, but even doing so, the weight continued to pile on. I went back to the previous program while continuing to attend meetings, but they became useless with all talk of Freestyle and nothing pertinent to my old program. Needless to say, I left WW and am very disappointed in their false advertising, making it seem as though one can eat as much of their "free" listed food as desired. Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

We appreciate the time you have taken to reach out to us, Lucille. A Resolution Specialist will be in touch with you shortly. We look forward to assisting you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 30, 2019

I cancelled the plan and then 3 days later was charged for the next month. There is no customer service phone number, there is no Contact Us form and there is no email or phone number shown on the website to reach out to get this (or any other issue) taken care of. I used the "chat with coach" option on the site which then "transferred me" to customer service. Apparently they want you to contact them this way. The person on the chat couldn't be more unhelpful. They adamantly insisted that I had signed a contract and was therefore obligated to pay for the PREVIOUS 3 months. They could not explain why I was being charged for future months if my obligation was for past months. After going in circles in chat for about 30 minutes, I called my bank and disputed the charge. Of course the chat transcript was never emailed to me.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Hi Barry, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We would love to speak with you and look into this further. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to assisting you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 27, 2019

I have been a WW member off and on over the past 25 years. Although it has been successful for me when I have stayed with the program, I fall off the wagon more often than not. While reconciling both of my checking accounts I realized that WW has been charging me from both of my accounts for the past 7 months. Why? I had never cancelled my last membership before I joined again in January 2019. I called WW and questioned this given the fact that my name, address, email address, etc. was identical on both WW accounts. I was told that my username was different on each account. I cancelled the one membership and was refunded for $44.95 for the past 7 months. I am glad that WW refunded me but feel that their computer system should have caught the double payment.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Marie, we are happy to look into this and appreciate your time. A member of our Resolution Team will be in touch with you shortly.

WW (Weight Watchers) Company Information