WW (Weight Watchers)

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Weight Watchers

Formerly known as Weight Watchers, WW sells memberships that include online tracking, in-person meetings and one-on-one personal coaching. The app helps you track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and locate support within the online community. It also offers SmartPoints and FitPoints programs to help dieters stay on track.

Pros

• SmartPoints Budget System
  • Digital WW app tracks progress
  • Personal support

Cons

• In-person aid not always available
  • Most meals must be prepared at home

Bottom Line

WW weight loss plans offer a lot of flexibility to dieters. Workshop + Digital plans offer in-person sessions and support, but all WW plans include a private online community for long-term weight loss success.

Top WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've been using WW for a month now and have had a very good experience. I've already recommended the service to two friends, one of which said he's signing up this week. The only ...

Verified

I’ve joined WW twice in the past, but find this plan the best they’ve ever had…The meeting I go to is amazing… it makes me feel part of a community, and supported. I love this pr...

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Weight Watchers diet

WW (formerly known as Weight Watchers) is a global weight loss and health management program for both short-term and long-term dieters. WW Freestyle programs use the SmartPoints Budget system, which allows members to follow the WW diet easily. WW provides more than 4,000 recipes that can be made at home, plus guidelines for how to eat out on the program. The company also lets brand ambassadors earn a commission through an affiliate program when they share WW with others.

How does Weight Watchers work?

The key to success in the WW program is a specially designed SmartPoints system. Every food and drink item is assigned a number based on its calories, saturated fat, protein and sugar content. Members are then given a weekly and monthly “budget,” taking into consideration their activity, health goals and lifestyle. Dieters track their food, exercise and progress to make sure they're on target with their health goals.

With the points system, up to four daily unused SmartPoints can roll over into the next weekly budget. There are also 200+ Zero Points foods, such as eggs, salmon, chicken breast and beans, which don't need tracking while in the program.

WW keeps members motivated through its free rewards program — WellnessWins — where members celebrate creating healthy habits. Rewards include fitness class passes, wine tumblers, and take anywhere organizers. All WW memberships include a private online community and 24/7 support from a WW Coach, which is accessible through the digital app.

Weight Watchers programs

WW currently offers three membership options: Digital, Workshops + Digital, or Personal Coaching + Digital. WW Freestyle is the core program followed in all three of WW plans.

• Digital: For those just starting, the Digital plan gives dieters 24/7 support through an app and website. Members get access to WW’s database of more than 4,000 recipes and access to Connect, a private online community. The app also syncs with fitness trackers.
  • Workshop + Digital: For dieters who prefer a more personalized program, WW offers in-person sessions in addition to their digital plans. There are more than 3,000 studio locations nationwide offering about 14,000 workshops a week. With the help of certified coaches, members learn how to manage and maintain weight loss through healthy strategies. Memberships also include weekly check-ins with WW coaches.
  • Personal Coaching + Digital: The WW Personal Coaching + Digital plans provide tailored one-on-one coaching as part of its premium packages. The Personal Coaching + Digital plan doesn't include private check-ins, but it does include personalized action plans that help members meet weight loss goals.

Compare Weight Watchers pricing options

Price per week*$3.07$6.92$12.92
Food and activity tracking
Weekly group Workshops
Personalized action plans
WW pricing varies by location. Costs shown here are based on ZIP code 74119.

How to use the Weight Watchers food scale

The WW food scale comes pre-programmed with a database of more than 500 foods. It also gives you the option of adding in calories, protein, sugar and saturated fat for the scale to calculate, making it easy to weigh foods at home or on the go. The WW SmartPoints kitchen scale can be used to weigh foods and can save up to 10 favorites for future reference.

Foods to eat on Weight Watchers

Generally, WW dieters eat foods that are rich in whole grains and fiber.

• Eggs
  • Fish
  • Beans
  • Avocado

Foods to avoid on Weight Watchers

WW dieters generally avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt, fat and calories.

• Burgers
  • Alcohol
  • Soda
  • Butter

Weight Watchers FAQ

What do you get when you join Weight Watchers?
All WW members get access to the digital program, which includes a database of 4,000+ recipes, a private online community and 24/7 support from a coach. All memberships include access to WW’s app, where members can track daily activity and food intake to see your progress. Some members opt to attend in-person sessions or work one-on-one with a WW coach.
How do you lose weight on Weight Watchers?
WW encourages weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise. WW uses the SmartPoints Budget system, where food and drink items are given a number. Based on your weight loss goals, you’re then given a weekly and daily “budget” of points.
What can I eat on Weight Watchers diet?
WW diets are flexible enough that you can almost eat anything you want (in moderation). With the SmartPoints system, you can create foods at home that fit into your weight loss goals or eat out with family and friends.
How much does Weight Watchers cost?
Programs start around $3 per week, and the standard monthly cost for the introductory plan is approximately $19.95 before tax.
How quickly can I lose weight on Weight Watchers?
Most people on the WW program see a weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. How quickly you lose weight on WW depends on your goals, activity level and lifestyle.
Where can I buy a Weight Watchers calculator?
SmartPoints calculators for the freestyle program can be purchased through WW’s online store.
Does Weight Watchers provide food?
No, WW does not provide food. Members are responsible for all their grocery shopping.
Does Weight Watchers have free registration?
Occasionally WW offers exclusive online specials when members can sign up for $0 and get 2 months free.

Is Weight Watchers worth it?

Yes. WW services are excellent for individuals looking to be part of a healthy community and get accountability on their journey. For a low monthly cost, members get access to WW’s website and app, which includes their WW Freestyle program and guidelines on their SmartPoints diet. Freestyle gives members a flexible approach to healthy eating, allowing for a personalized approach to weight loss.

WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?

Original review: June 24, 2021

I used Weight Watchers 1 time and did lose 35 lbs. but still had 60 more to go and lost interest in their way. They didn't have Vegetarian at that time. So, took classes in school on nutrition and herbology, and worked up a program of my own that worked far better along with exercises daily. I dropped 75 lbs in short time, and was able to reach my goal. Weight watchers is a good program for many, it's a group therapy, they do have their own foods as well like Jenny Craig - and many other programs. But if you understand nutrition and your body you can do better. Unless you require group therapy and that one on one to keep you honest.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Even though I was dead set against WW for over 60 years because I thought it was a rip off I decided to join? Their plans are reasonable. The food you can eat is practically everything you would eat normally. I have been on Ww for 3 weeks and have lost 4 pounds. I enjoy my beer and wine as well as sugar reduced dessert. Yes there is always a nice steak to chow down. Like so many prejudices they are often found on an illogical foundation. I even signed up for 3 months at a great price. There is also free coaching.

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2021

WW's new program is very easy to follow. I lost 20 pounds during the pandemic (when most people gained weight) and never felt hungry or deprived. I still enjoy things like ice cream, cake and wine. I just adjust the rest of my eating to accommodate those foods. I have been maintaining this weight for quite a while now. I recommend this diet very highly, mainly because you can eat regular food and do not have to buy products from them. The meetings are very worthwhile and so is the required monthly weigh ins.

Original review: June 10, 2021

Over the years I have enrolled in Weight Watchers and have always had favorable results when I follow the program. The program has changed a lot since the early days and I really like the ease of using the WW app on my phone making tracking food super easy. It's always been a great program but now it's easier than ever to stay on track and get results while still indulging in some of your favorite foods. You just need to hold yourself accountable and the program does work!

Original review: May 27, 2021

I was able to lose 20 pounds or so twice by counting calories with the LoseIt! app, but then the third time around, it didn't work. I recently started the Weight Watchers (WW) program around 3 weeks ago to try a different approach. I didn't think it would work as I've been struggling with this on and off for a while. I expected that I was going to be hungry and only allowed to eat salads, since this was a diet. But to my surprise, I was already seeing results by the first week! I've been losing a pound/week pretty steadily and I'm still going to keep working towards my goal.

There are so many amazing meals from WW that I never even thought of! I'm a pretty picky eater and I love pasta, pizza, pancakes sort of foods. I can't believe I'm still able to eat them. I don't feel deprived or hungry on this diet. In fact, I haven't been needing as much sleep. I don't have to stress about burning a certain amount of calories, but I do try to run everyday and that just speeds up the weight loss progress. I'm glad WW doesn't require exercise. Plus I have the most amazing coach ever. What I love about WW is that there are 3 different food plans and different subscriptions you can get. In the beginner I found it most helpful to have one-on-one coaching. There's also WW meetings in person and virtual. I would highly recommend this program to anyone that wants to lose weight, but in a fun way where they get to eat the foods they want. I even eat dessert on this diet, and I didn't think I'd ever be able to do that!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Their plan did not work and they let you have minimal amount of food. I followed their plan and gained weight. I called them 2 months ahead of time to cancel and they told me to call back on my cancellation date and I did. They had already billed me double and wanted me to wait until October to cancel. I told them no that they needed to cancel right now. They will not refund the money they stole out my account. Please be very careful with them. They are not an honest business. When it’s time to cancel make sure you inform your bank or they will surely charge you extra. I do not recommend this business to anyone.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I've lost 8 lbs, it's small but encouraging. Helps me to be more self-aware of my portions. I like the ease of the app and you can scan barcodes to see the number of smart points items are. Lots of great tasty recipes.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The first 5 months I lost 35 pounds. The food you get to eat is great. Basically whatever you want. The only problem is I couldn’t lose the last 20 pounds. It’s been a year and I have kept off the weight which is great. Excellent way to diet and not a lot of money. 21.00 a month.

Original review: June 23, 2021

It gives you more options and is a gentle slow process to change bad habits. The commercials are bad but hey there are a lot of bad ones out there. Be sure to check your health and your Dr. before trying any weight loss program.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I tried the Weight Watchers program several times---It always worked but I didn't. The WW plan works if you stick to it---I didn't. I lost weight when following their food plans and recommendations--but I didn't. That is why I will try again. Reading the information helps but going to the meetings helps more---you get encouragement and advice from the WW group leader and the other attendees. WW----here I come again!

WW (Weight Watchers) Company Information