1.41/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Weight Watchers

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Weight Watchers is a proven weight loss program founded in the 1960s. Their membership includes online tracking, in-person meetings, and one-on-one personal coaching. Weight Watchers is focused on improving overall health, not just weight. Their app helps track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and find support within the online community. They also offer a SmartPoints and FitPoints program so members can start earning and stay on track.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

441 Weight Watchers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I have been a lifetime member for about 2 years. It has been great for me. But recently when I went to weigh in for the month, I was told I was 4 pounds over my goal and there would be a 15.00 CHARGE! I went "What!?" In the past when I have been over my goal weight, there was never a problem. They always encourage you to makes changes to help. As I am told, This was implemented about 1 year ago. I can never remember getting penalized. I am sorry, at one point a person's weight will vary. Especially if you become ill. BUT to charge $15.00! for being overweight by 3-4 pounds is ridiculous. This is a discouragement not encouragement! Is WEIGHT WATCHERS to help people or to make money off on people? I go there for encouragement to get back on track! But this DETRACTS when you have to pay 15.00!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I called to cancel my account. The woman on the phone was very faint, I could hardly hear her. I asked to cancel my account, I'm having financial difficulty at this time and we have to cut back. When I spoke to the woman she mentioned a 20 dollar cancellation fee, which I understand however I asked if she could cancel the following week. She put me on hold, canceled my account and charged my account. When I asked to refund me she said no. When I asked for a supervisor she was too busy. I understand it's only 20 dollars, however when you are counting on that 20 for another bill it counts. It's unacceptable to just go ahead and charge my account. She could have told me to call the following week. I have used Weight Watchers in the past. The program is great. Don't get a bind with money because they don't care. I will never use them again or recommend them to those who are tight with finances. Unacceptable!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I was on Weight Watchers for several years, and loved the program, and achieved lifetime member status. However, due to financial needs, I changed my account to online status. After doing so I was billed for another month. (I had at one point gone over my goal weight). Upon review of my bank account I also noticed that I was being billed twice each month... 14.95 around the 8th of each month, and 44.95 around the 20th of each month. I called customer service, and they agreed I was being billed on 2 separate accounts and had been since I became a lifetime member (the 14.95), and when I went over my goal weight (the 44.95). However, even though they admitted they were billing me twice, on two different accounts, they offered to only credit the one monthly charge that I we billed after changing to online account. And refused to credit any of the second monthly charges (the 14.95 charged each month).

By my estimation I overpaid by approximately 165.00. I cancelled all membership, because they wouldn't even consider making this right, or even answer my question when I asked how they justify not correcting their error, they would only respond that they would only refund the one charge after the change to online account. I quit a program I really liked because I have no desire to promote or be part of a company that refused to take responsibility for their mistakes, won't be accountable, and has no integrity. They admitted they were billing me under 2 separate accounts, and apparently felt it was acceptable to just keep my money... SMH.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

When you sign up for a limited time with Weight Watchers there is a catch you need to keep a close eye on? They will continue to bill your credit card the maximum amount possible when the term is done if you don't officially cancel your membership. When you call to complain, they explain it was in the membership agreement (Fine print). When joining Weight Watchers you will definitely lose weight due to your shrinking wallet!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I preferred the old system, and it quickly became apparent after signing up. I did the three month deal of $50 online only. After just a few days I decided it really wasn't going to work for me so I cancelled. No refund. Zero. Didn't matter if I told it to cancel in October (1 month's worth of service) or in December (the full three months). They could at least take the standard $19 out of the $50 and refund the rest. I feel cheated by this because NOWHERE does it mention the special pricing does not qualify for a refund - even though I cancelled just 4 DAYS after signing up. I don't have the time or the wherewithal today to even try and argue with them. Buyer beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weight Watchers?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

First let me start by say I use a prepaid cc for all online shopping or for any recurring purchases that I sign-up for online. So with that being said I wanted to start my membership with WW. I filled in all the fields to start the program right, and then the screen gets to the payment portion. I fill in all required slots there right... and then this error message appears. I knowingly only transferred the exact amount that the subscription would cost into the account to be on the safe side and sure enough I went back to check all the information that I typed in to make sure it was correct and tried to continue again then the same message appears, so I think to myself let me check the account and sure enough WW was holding the exact amount of funds required for sign-up.

So I call WW to see why they're holding the amount but when I log in it's still asking me to sign-up. The operator responds by saying, "Well, that's our policy. It's just an authorization. It will return in a couple of business days or maybe 24hrs." So I asked, "Well since you're holding the funds why am I not considered signed-up?" The agent actually asked if I would like to provide my cc info again so that she could try and charge me again just to see if it would go through. NO I Would Not. It's not okay to just hold funds on someone's account for a membership if you're going to charge them then charge them or either make it clear to newcomers that you need to have $100 dollars plus to sign-up for this subscription because we're going to hold 50 and charge 50.... Dang, I am just trying to lose so weight not a lot of money.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I paid $119.85 for three months of meetings and online. After not receiving my monthly pass card by week 3. I started calling, emailing asking at meetings no one could help. After finally get Gaye who would only give me info if I gave her a credit card she gave me a monthly pass number. Within seconds I got an email that I'm canceled followed by 8 more emails of people wanting to help --- all boiler plate emails. It doesn't seem legal that after you pay they want your card and then they tell you that you have to call before the end of three months or they'll charge it. Hope something legal can be done.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Beware!! I was very unhappy with my experience with Weight Watchers. It has nothing to do with weight loss. I joined in September 2016 & I canceled my membership in Feb 2017. I continued getting charges until August 2017. Not only did I get charged, I was double billed the entire time. With Weight Watchers charging the same card & same email address. I somehow had a duplicate account (one charging me $44 and the other $20 per month). They only agreed to reimburse 3 months on each account. This to me is fraudulent!! If I had signed up with different email addresses & different credit cards, then I could totally understand how this could have happened but that wasn't the case. So, my advice to any new members would be to watch your account closely!! This company should have made this right!! With this being said... I would not even give 1 star if that were an option!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

When trying to sign into my account, the app/website did not recognize my account. This has happened for months. I have called to inquire with no solution. I have continued to be billed monthly. It finally occurred to me that they should be able to look up my account via my credit card. They acknowledged I had an account but could only refund the last 3 months. It is ultimately my bad for not being more assertive months ago when this started. Ripoff and horrible customer service, the rep said, "It is in the terms and agreement that WW has the right to continue to take membership fees until you cancel."

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Do not be fooled or misled - this company is unethical and has bad practices. I cancelled the account May of last year - online charges continued. I quit receiving emails from WW - good indication that account cancelled... but it wasn't. We had to call Citibank and post a complaint. Charges continued. Finally had "success" cancelling the account. Seriously, there are free apps or Garmin/Fitbits that do more than WW. You would be better served to NOT use them. There is no value to a $20 per month App - there are free apps, Pinterest, communities. This is not worth your time...

Original review: July 28, 2017

I am very disappointed in Weight Watchers. I joined Feb. 20, 2017 under one of their 3 month promotions. By May 20th I had lost the 10# required to get a $100 visa card, or roll it over into another couple of months membership. In order to receive this $ one had to fill out a form with a copy of my passbook showing my weight loss. This seemed crazy as everything about WW is electronic now. Okay so I did that and while patiently waiting for my $100 I noticed they had been taking out $44.95 for the months of May and June (I'm bad for not noticing it sooner). So, I immediately canceled my membership online.

When I finally got a hold of someone in billing I was told that "it is in the terms and agreement that WW has the right to continue to take membership fees until you cancel." I was also told that in order to get the $100 I have to have an active account... YIKES! and a few other choice words. In the end it just wasn't even worth getting the $100 back. WW meetings now consist of the first 10-15 minutes reviewing the latest crappy 1 point pasta "they" have for sale or the one point chocolate the size of my thumb nail that's loaded with preservative. So you go Weight Watchers I hope you implode.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I had noticed a while ago that I was still being billed by Weight Watchers even though I have not used them for years. I called to let them know before and they said I had to call back later that no one was in that could help me. I called back later and they said that I was continuing to be billed after my 3 month subscription ran out as was agreed. I was frustrated because I tried to get back into my account after the 3 months was up and it said that I no longer had a current subscription and had to renew so I figured that it had been canceled. And as I read the previous reviews I see that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

When I canceled today for sure I thought it would have been nice for them to refund me some money but of course no such remuneration was offered. Just to let people know there is an app call Diet Watchers that is essentially the same as Weight Watchers. You pay a one time fee of I believe 6$ and that's it. I really hope Weight Watchers goes out of business. They are such a ripoff.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I have tried WW 3 times and every time there has been a problem with the app or the billing. This last time was the worst. I signed up for a promotion from the Weight Watchers website that was for 3 months at $35. The payment went through but then when I tried to log into the app it said my subscription had ran out. So I sent 5 emails before I finally heard back from someone 2 weeks later. So I wasn't even able to use the app for 2 weeks. The email I got back was poorly written and asked for a lot of personal information and I didn't feel comfortable writing all that in an email so I called instead.

The first guy I talked to could barely speak English so it took over 30 minutes to get anywhere. I explained my situation and he said the only thing he could do for me was to refund my $35 and get the newest promotion. The newest promotion was 3 months for $50... So it was worse than what I had already paid for. I wasn't happy so he said he'd give me a month for free. It still made me mad though because I was having to pay more than what I tried to the first time. So I decided to just go ahead with it because I really like the app.

A few hours later I checked my bank account and no joke, they withdrew $1000. My account went negative and I was freaking out. So I had to call them again and of course this guy also barely spoke English. I explained everything and told him how unhappy I was and that I just wanted to cancel everything and to obviously get my $1000 back! He basically told me there was nothing he could do and that I have to call my bank and deal with it myself.

This company has the WORST customer service I have ever experienced. Now I am sitting on hold with my bank, currently at 30 minutes wait, and hoping they can get my money back. I made an account on Consumer Affairs just to write this review because I am so angry and everyone needs to know how ** this company is.

Original review: July 21, 2017

While the program itself is pretty good, the customer service is so bad that I warn everyone to stay away!! I was told incorrect information when I signed up, was overbilled, and they refuse to refund me. Their customer service is terrible and they don't care one bit. So disappointing for a company I used to respect. This is based in Canada in July 2017.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I enrolled in a promotion with Weight Watchers to lose 10 pounds in 60 days and receive the $100 promotional fee back. An additional requirement was that "Your Weight Watchers subscription must be current at the time you submit the refund form." I lost the 10 within the 60 days and completed the required form to cancel my membership and start the refund process on May 16th. In spite of that, Weight Watchers began deducting membership fees from my checking account. Upon requesting that they refund the fees they had deducted, I was told by a Weight Watchers representative that I must retain active membership during the processing of the $100 gift card which would take 8 to 12 weeks, and would end up costing me more in membership fees more than the $100 I would be receiving. They have since only agreed to cancel my membership as of today but declined to issue any refund.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I wanted to join today Weight Watchers 50% discount. WW staff refused to answer any of my questions. Kathy in Mechanicsburg PA said she did not have time to speak to me even though I told her I had a hearing disability and could not hear her over the noisy crowd. She simply pointed me to the pricing board and said if I wanted to join that is what the prices were. I had to leave due to my hearing disability. My head still hurts after being there for only 3 minutes. After reading the reviews here I am very glad I did not join. It's unfortunate that weight watchers has turned into a nasty business with very little if any customer service.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I was signed up through my company and bill was paid through company. I was going over my checking account and notice that they had been taking money out of my account for 7 months now. I called and explain that this should have not been done. Stated that they understood that this happens but all they can do is refund 3 months and close the account. I call this stealing money, but never again will I use Weight Watchers.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I joined to lose 12 pounds when they had a promotion to lose 10 pounds within 3 months and get $100 gift card. I lost the 10 pounds. I applied for the $100 as explained to me at the meeting. What they didn't tell me - it takes up to 4 months to process the form AND you have to pay a $45 membership fee each of those months. After 4 phone calls to Weight Watchers, I am still trying to resolve this. Today I gave up and cancelled my membership. After this experience, I really don't believe they will stop billing me the monthly fee. This makes me very sad. I have always liked Weight Watchers - I am a lifetime member. They'll never see me or my $$ again.

Original review: July 7, 2017

While the app works well you get past the constant state of having to log in even when it's on your phone. The fact that you oftentimes cannot log in and then get locked out is just ridiculous. Tonight I found out that because I signed up for WW at WORK. They can't reset my password at the number they tell you to call. Instead, they have dedicated staff at WW to assist us with technical problems. What?? Really?? It's the same problem - a password reset - not some specific issue that takes a specialized person.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I joined Weight Watchers 2 different times. The first time they were "all out" of the promised Starter's Kit. The second time in 2/2017 I was promised $100 gift card if I lost 10 lbs in 3 months. Well I lost 15 and even had their scale to connect with them to prove this. Now they say I had to renew for another 3 months or I will have to pay a $20 fee. So basically, I am not going to get that $100 either. I have already put almost $200 into the company to get $100, which I never received. Well, this diet plan involves the same thing as many free online diet plans offer, so I would suggest to save your money. It is a good plan but they just swap points for calorie counting: something that you can easily do on your own. I regret joining again.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Paid for my daughter for 6 months on June 22, 2017 @ $33. per month. Set up for auto pay and they took my $33.00 on the June 22, 2017 and then turned around and again withdrew another $33 on July 5, 2017. Told my daughter, "you are always paying a month in advance for the service. Really 7 weeks in advance!!!" "No, I don't think so. Am cancelling today!" She is paid through Sept. 2017. This is a real scam. Don't give them your credit card.

Original review: June 18, 2017

Bad experience with WW. Immediately upon joining I tried to cancel my subscription. There was no such option online. The only option charged me three months. Google link to Customer Service doesn't work. They're quick to take your money but make it difficult, if not impossible, to cancel. I intend to post this everywhere I can unless this issue is resolved immediately and I am not, charged anything.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I have been with Weight Watches for 3 months now and every time I try to open their app on my mobile it goes straight for 'Sign up for the $499.00 12 month plan' and won't let me pass that stage. I have been told I can't go to the meetings in my area because I only pay $35.00 per month. I now realize I have been completely ripped off.

Original review: June 13, 2017

At my 1st meeting I bought a points calculator for £9.95. It was completely dead and would not work. I returned it at the next meeting to be told I would have to contact Weight Watchers to sort it out even though they had spare ones there. On contacting customer services it turns out I have to post it back to them. Why can't the coach replace it, why can't the coach send it back. Ridiculous, but I was warned that all Weight Watchers are interested in is your money!

Original review: June 5, 2017

I signed up for their services on May 31, 2017 and on June 5, 2017 I called to cancel the membership. I have not used their services not one time. They would only give me $9.00 for the 3 month membership I had paid for. I can understand it I had been using it for more than half the membership but I didn't. They said they would not refund the amount paid. I will NEVER use them and will tell everyone I know not to. Ms. **, you should be ashamed of yourself for promoting them when they do the customers this bad. You may not need the money that I will not get back but I do.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I signed up for 3-month plan for $50 one evening. I had heard good things so I figured I'd give it a shot. But once I became a member, I saw that there isn't anything in the member site or app that is worth cost of membership, I'm talking within 10 minutes of logging in/signing up. Recipes seemed to be only thing in member site, and those are available Everywhere on the web!

I immediately contacted them showing time stamp of signing up, at this point, less than 30 min in, stating I felt I was scammed into signing up with empty promises of a full system, except all the site and app had are how many points and some recipes, again, all over the web for free. 5 days later after no response, I forwarded same email to them again, adding that I haven't touched account since that first 10 min and want my money back. Instead I finally got a rude email stating I'll only get $9 back and they cancelled my account. I emailed them back immediately after stating that's not acceptable and I was filing a complaint with PayPal against them.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Tried Weight Watchers for about three months. The idea of the diet is good healthy standards. Low fat, low sugar, high fruit, high protein diet. I choose not to continue as I already went through a major diet experience 10 years ago with proportion control and calorie counting using similar standards. I commend the idea of Weight Watchers in a society that has lost its good eating habits and put those individuals back on the right track. I choose not to continue with Weight Watchers as I got a half assed introduction to the program and I still haven't a clue what the whole hubbub is about nor how to proceed about it. Here's my experience:

Signed up online. Went to a local meeting. Got signed in. Sat through a 30 minute talk meeting. Half the meeting was about how you don't dip your hand into the candy dish. Then the welcome meeting after. I got a half assed introduction to the program for my introduction. Was given a welcome packet. Was requested to go through it at my leisure. Rep sent 20 minutes on hold with weight watchers app 800 # to figure out an error in the app. Then a little about the program about what to eat but requested me to read through the material at my leisure.

Went online later that night to figure out more. All I found were recipes and an app that is confusing in serving sizes. Lost 5 lbs in the first two months. Not bad. I tried about three of the meetings and found it was more of a struggle to work them into a rotating random retail schedule. Realized some of the instructors are better than others. My introduction to it was done by one that probably could use a little coaching for new applicants.

I realized the meetings were not all that helpful for me as they didn't really explain the program in detail. Three months later and I still haven't a clue how the diet works or what it is about or how to proceed about it. Over half the meetings were about how you don't dip your hand into the candy dish or do I choose an apple over a donut. That was it. The only reason why I lost weight was because I replaced sugar with fruit and only splurge twice a month. In addition to heavily omitting fatty foods.

I honestly can diet without this program. Thank you for the kick I needed to start it though. I however will not continue with it until explanation is done better. I am left in the dark and $80 of my dollars are no more. (Per other reviews, I will closely watch my account to be sure the monthly billing process is canceled. I feel to deny a refund in the first 3 months is not an ethical practice of business. A diet does take a few months to see results but to some people they don't need all the glamor to diet. They just know how.)

Original review: May 27, 2017

I have contacted Weight Watchers for 3 months attempting to cancel my membership and they continue to charge my PayPal. I have talked to them and emailed and attempted from the web page. They have over charged me at least $80.

Original review: May 18, 2017

We canceled our membership to Weight Watchers 4 months ago but they keep charging our card. When we call to investigate they say that they cannot confirm the charges! What a scam!!! We have proof that they keep taking money out! BEWARE! They're horrible. Service is horrible. We have to block the payment on our credit union side. This is unbelievable.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I canceled Weight Watchers via their phone application after charged April 15, 2017. I had forgotten that this needed to be done. I canceled late at night via email as stated and the 800 # was not operating. May 15 was charged yet again $56. Canceled via email and called this time to put an end to the charges and to get credit. Was advised needed cancellation # and I let them know did not get one first time. This time was given one verbally and asked that WW send it via email so that I would have on record. "Rude" Michael said that this is how I would get it. Advised this is not the way a legitimate business operates. I like the Weight Watchers program and respect the owners, however, I will not do business with them again because of poor customer service and billing practices.

Weight Watchers expert review by JJ Virgin

Founded 50 years ago, Weight Watchers has evolved from solely a group-meeting weight loss program to strategic plans for different demographics and an online option. Weight Watchers assists members in losing weight by forming helpful habits, eating smarter, getting more exercise and providing support. Consumers looking for a budget-friendly option can simply purchase Weight Watchers brand food products at their grocery store or mass retailer and follow the plan's basic diet, which is available online. Those who want more support can join the program, which offers individuals plans including options like a smartphone-based app for tracking food and activities, in-person weekly support meetings, online community support and one-on-one coaching via text messaging or telephone.

• Buddy system: Studies show people who pair up with like-minded groups or friends attain better fat loss (and keep it off better) than those who go it alone. For anyone who needs group support – either in person or online – Weight Watcher is top notch.
    • Digital tools: High-tech apps and digital tools increase compliance and accountability, and make it easier for you to track your progress and stay motivated. Tech-savvy folks will find these valuable and even enjoyable.
    • Flexibility: The program allows flexibility to eat real food, allows people to maintain their social lives, and makes losing weight easy even with the busiest schedule without deprivation. Since no food is forbidden, you simply modify portion sizes to fit their PointsPlus® system.
    • Food philosophy: Weight Watchers is designed to be a lifestyle approach to food, so no foods are considered off limits. While this philosophy could become a slippery slope for people who have problems with cravings for certain unhealthy foods, it can also help by encouraging moderation and accountability for food choices.
    • Flexibility: Weight Watchers assigns "points" values for every food and helps you set a goal for how many points you should consume daily. This system means you can make low-point choices throughout the day in preparation for a special meal or event instead of having to forgo the extra calories because of your diet.
    • Best for: new moms, college students, busy adults, teens, older men, older women and former athletes.
    Profile picture of JJ Virgin
    JJ Virgin

Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Weight Watchers Company Information