Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Weight Watchers

WW (Weight Watchers)
Shop Amazon
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.26/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

WW is Weight Watchers Reimagined, a proven weight loss program founded in the 1960s. Their membership includes online tracking, in-person meetings, and one-on-one personal coaching. WW is focused on improving overall health, not just weight. Their app helps track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and find support within the online community. They also offer a SmartPoints and FitPoints program so members can start earning and stay on track.

BOTTOM LINE

WW weight loss plans offer a lot of flexibility to dieters. Workshop + Digital plans offer in-person sessions and support, but all WW plans include a private online community for long-term weight loss success.

PROS

• SmartPoints Budget System
  • Digital WW app tracks progress
  • Personal support

CONS

• In-person aid not always available
  • Most meals must be prepared at home

Top WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

I've been using WW for a month now and have had a very good experience. I've already recommended the service to two friends, one of which said he's signing up this week. The only negative issue I've had is with the App not giving me the same amount of flexibility as using a desktop computer...

I’ve joined WW twice in the past, but find this plan the best they’ve ever had…The meeting I go to is amazing… it makes me feel part of a community, and supported. I love this program. I’ve been a member four weeks and am seeing a steady weight loss. I’m excited to go to my meetings.

About Weight Watchers diet

WW (formerly known as Weight Watchers) is a global weight loss and health management program for both short-term and long-term dieters. WW Freestyle programs use the SmartPoints Budget system, which allows members to follow the WW diet easily. WW provides more than 4,000 recipes that can be made at home, plus guidelines for how to eat out on the program. The company also lets brand ambassadors earn a commission through an affiliate program when they share WW with others.

How does Weight Watchers work?

The key to success in the WW program is a specially designed SmartPoints system. Every food and drink item is assigned a number based on its calories, saturated fat, protein and sugar content. Members are then given a weekly and monthly “budget,” taking into consideration their activity, health goals and lifestyle. Dieters track their food, exercise and progress to make sure they're on target with their health goals.

With the points system, up to four daily unused SmartPoints can roll over into the next weekly budget. There are also 200+ Zero Points foods, such as eggs, salmon, chicken breast and beans, which don't need tracking while in the program.

WW keeps members motivated through its free rewards program — WellnessWins — where members celebrate creating healthy habits. Rewards include fitness class passes, wine tumblers, and take anywhere organizers. All WW memberships include a private online community and 24/7 support from a WW Coach, which is accessible through the digital app.

Weight Watchers programs

WW currently offers three membership options: Digital, Workshops + Digital, or Personal Coaching + Digital. WW Freestyle is the core program followed in all three of WW plans.

• Digital: For those just starting, the Digital plan gives dieters 24/7 support through an app and website. Members get access to WW’s database of more than 4,000 recipes and access to Connect, a private online community. The app also syncs with fitness trackers.
    • Workshop + Digital: For dieters who prefer a more personalized program, WW offers in-person sessions in addition to their digital plans. There are more than 3,000 studio locations nationwide offering about 14,000 workshops a week. With the help of certified coaches, members learn how to manage and maintain weight loss through healthy strategies. Memberships also include weekly check-ins with WW coaches.
    • Personal Coaching + Digital: The WW Personal Coaching + Digital plans provide tailored one-on-one coaching as part of its premium packages. The Personal Coaching + Digital plan doesn't include private check-ins, but it does include personalized action plans that help members meet weight loss goals.

Compare Weight Watchers pricing options

Price per week*$3.07$6.92$12.92
    Food and activity tracking
    Weekly group Workshops
    Personalized action plans
    WW pricing varies by location. Costs shown here are based on ZIP code 74119.

How to use the Weight Watchers food scale

The WW food scale comes pre-programmed with a database of more than 500 foods. It also gives you the option of adding in calories, protein, sugar and saturated fat for the scale to calculate, making it easy to weigh foods at home or on the go. The WW SmartPoints kitchen scale can be used to weigh foods and can save up to 10 favorites for future reference.

Foods to eat on Weight Watchers

Generally, WW dieters eat foods that are rich in whole grains and fiber.

• Eggs
    • Fish
    • Beans
    • Avocado

Foods to avoid on Weight Watchers

WW dieters generally avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt, fat and calories.

• Burgers
    • Alcohol
    • Soda
    • Butter

Weight Watchers FAQ

What do you get when you join Weight Watchers?
    All WW members get access to the digital program, which includes a database of 4,000+ recipes, a private online community and 24/7 support from a coach. All memberships include access to WW’s app, where members can track daily activity and food intake to see your progress. Some members opt to attend in-person sessions or work one-on-one with a WW coach.
    How do you lose weight on Weight Watchers?
    WW encourages weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise. WW uses the SmartPoints Budget system, where food and drink items are given a number. Based on your weight loss goals, you’re then given a weekly and daily “budget” of points.
    What can I eat on Weight Watchers diet?
    WW diets are flexible enough that you can almost eat anything you want (in moderation). With the SmartPoints system, you can create foods at home that fit into your weight loss goals or eat out with family and friends.
    How much does Weight Watchers cost?
    Programs start around $3 per week, and the standard monthly cost for the introductory plan is approximately $19.95 before tax.
    How quickly can I lose weight on Weight Watchers?
    Most people on the WW program see a weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. How quickly you lose weight on WW depends on your goals, activity level and lifestyle.
    Where can I buy a Weight Watchers calculator?
    SmartPoints calculators for the freestyle program can be purchased through WW’s online store.
    Does Weight Watchers provide food?
    No, WW does not provide food. Members are responsible for all their grocery shopping.
    Does Weight Watchers have free registration?
    Occasionally WW offers exclusive online specials when members can sign up for $0 and get 2 months free.

Is Weight Watchers worth it?

Yes. WW services are excellent for individuals looking to be part of a healthy community and get accountability on their journey. For a low monthly cost, members get access to WW’s website and app, which includes their WW Freestyle program and guidelines on their SmartPoints diet. Freestyle gives members a flexible approach to healthy eating, allowing for a personalized approach to weight loss.

WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I've been on WW for about a month. I lost about 13 lbs. I'v been overweight all my life. I've tried Adkins but I gained my weight back on it. I've educated myself a little on food addiction.mOn this program you must know yourself. You also must know Sugar and fats is very addicting. You are given a bunch of points throughout the day and basically no food is off limits. Let me ask you Can you eat 1 Oreo? Can you really eat 1 oz of Wise potato chips? If you can then this program is the best for you "the way it's written." I tried the program years ago thinking wow I can lose weight and still have Cookies and chips, but it never worked. It didn't work for me not because it can't be done. It didn't work because I'm a sugar and Carbohydrate addict.

A lot of people don't like the new program, but I do. I can have sweets such as apples, Blueberry, and Protein steak chicken. I also learned I like fish (which I never ate before WW) and I'm beginning to see I can have beans and chickpeas (zero points) and I'm losing weight. I do monitor myself. It’s very important for me that I do. Even though the diet is written no food is off limits you still have to be careful. For example, I had to give up a free food called grapes. I was eating the whole bag. Yes it's zero points but I want to lose weight and it still has calories and carbs. On Amazon I bought Flex Protein chips 24 hips (1 oz is 2 points) 1 bag of Doritos around one oz is 5 points. The whole bag flex protein chips is 9 points (5oz) so if I eat the whole thing I won't get in that much trouble. I have found if I keep the whole bag in bed with me, I will eat the whole bag. So I put the bag back into the kitchen (after taking my oz) and that worked better.

I'm a man that loves pizza, pasta, cookies and chips and meats. With this diet I can stay away from food that they offer at customer service appreciation week at work or the muffin my roommate offers. I have nice alternatives tip steak, London Broil, mesquite chicken, fish I buy at Sam's club, Blueberry's, Strawberry, and I can have equal with it, tilapia, all the shrimp I want (3 lbs at Sam's club $14.62). The wonderful thing about this diet I don't feel deprived. Sure, I'd like some pizza and one slice is 11 points. But I like the fact I feel healthier (I have a ton of energy now and I’m losing weight). I want that more for now. One day after I lose ½ my weight I’ll treat myself to pizza or find an alternative beforehand.

WW is big on giving a lot of points to condiments. I can have more quantity if I get let’s say low fat mayo. But I don’t want to feel deprived so I put on ‘REAL MAYO’ one teaspoon is (1 pt) a tablespoon is (3) pts. So I can have my Ever roast Boars head Chicken sandwich on 1 slice of bread (2 points) with all the chicken I want 2-4 oz (0 points,) tablespoon of real mayo (3 points). Guess what I’m happy I had real food for lunch and it's only 5 points. On this program if you are in a rush you can have a Whopper jr sandwich with cheese for 11 points and value onion rings for 5 points for a total of 16 points and I'm happy. (I only did that once because I know me) For burgers I usually have 8 oz burger (90%) lien (12 points) 1 slice of bread (2 points) teaspoon of real Hellman's mayo (1 pt) a total of 14 points and I had triple the meat real mayo and less carbs (which also helps for weight loss.) and I'm full for hours

I love this diet but again you need to customize it for yourself. Yes they have zero point food and low point food but that doesn't mean you can over eat. They have stuff on it like candy cookies and ice cream. Can you handle it staying in your budget? if you can't then yes you need to stay away. Addiction is addiction whether it's sugar, drugs or alcohol no program can solve that but you can put it in arrest by staying away and having other things you enjoy but not addicted to. To conclude I’ve lost 13 lbs in a month. I feel great on this program. I wish everyone luck on it. Remember it’s not perfect but for me it’s the best one out there.

Original review: June 23, 2019

My right knee has been in awful pain for way too long. I went to my orthopedic doctor and he told me I need a new knee. However, to make the surgery less difficult and healing easier he said I need to exercise on a stationary bike each day and lose weight! I've been so disgusted with how I look and so frightened by seeing the words "morbidly obese" on all my medical reports. I knew it was time to return to the what helped me to lose weight years ago - Weight Watchers. I joined online and vowed to attend the very next meeting - about a week away. The new WW was so amazing to me! So easy - a user friendly app - tracking my meals right on all my devices - zero point foods! Wow! It seemed too easy.

I went to my first meeting on a Thursday morning in Southbury, CT and quickly found I was blessed to be part of the most amazing group of people with Debbie, the most charismatic and encouraging leader ever! And I lost 5 pounds on my own before my first weigh in!! I've been a part of the WW family for just three weeks and I've lost a total of 11+ pounds!! And it's been so comfortable and sensible! I love love love it! I'm also up to 30 minutes a day on the stationary bike per doctors orders and my knee feels better already!! I'm totally committed and I just know I'm going to be successful. Thank you WW! I'm feeling very blessed to have made the decision to come back to what really works to change the way I eat - WW!

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2019

The first time I joined Weight Watchers was back around 1980. I was about 25 lbs overweight and my goal weight was 123 lbs. I was a young adult. Back then you had to weigh and measure everything and eating out was difficult to calculate. I had to count servings of protein, fats, grains, dairy, organ meats and I can't remember what else. I lost all my weight and became a lifetime member. Fast forward through 2 marriages and 2 children later and my weight fluctuated over the years because I stopped attending meetings (currentluly referred to as workshops).

Finally during the summer of 2016, I decided it was time for me to do something about my weight. I was at the heaviest in my life. 239.5 lbs, I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and being pre-diabetic. I started eating clean food, cutting out all added sugars and processed carbs and was able to drop 50 lbs. I got bored and switched to the KETO diet and dropped another 25 lbs. Then I realized, for me, that KETO wasn't sustainable for long term. It was difficult eating outside my home, without gaining weight. I decided to go back to Weight Watcher's, now called WW because I know it works and is sustainable for life.

I rejoined on May 11th, have lost 8.8 lbs and am very happy with the choice I made. Going to workshops helps a lot. There is a freeing feeling to know that I am making better choices in the food I eat and how I live my life. I am no longer on cholesterol medication and I am no longer pre-diabetic. I have created a collage of photos that range from my high school yearbook photo through my 75 lb weight loss. Wellness truly Wins with WW!

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have struggled with weight issues since my teens, starting with my doctor who advised me that my ideal weight (according to weight charts) was 110 lbs. So that was always my goal, and eventually, I reached it by eating 800 calories or less per day. Needless to say, I could not maintain that weight and be healthy. So, I continued to struggle into my 60's, with my weight gradually increasing to 180 lbs. Fast forward to November 2018, when my sister told me we were going on Weight Watchers. I had tried WWs many years ago, with limited success. Keeping track of food points was too involved. I was totally blown away by the new WWs program. I lost 13 lbs over 4 months and then plateaued at 167. I stopped following the program, but kept including zero point foods in my diet.

For the past few months, I have bounced around between 170 and 167 lbs. I am ready to refocus and start the weight loss process again. I love that I can move into a maintenance plan without much effort or thought (just being mindful of zero point foods). I also love the bar code scanner that lets you check food points when you're shopping. I can't tell you the number of products I didn't buy because the points-to-serving ratio was just too high. The online WWs daily tracking program is also beneficial. I find if I only do those 3 things: 1. focus on zero point foods, 2. check bar codes while shopping and 3. track my daily food intake on WWs online, I do lose weight. I love the recipes that are shared via the Team WW emails. So much useful information! Over the past 40+ years, I have tried innumerable different diet plans, and the new WWs is head and shoulders above the others!

Original review: May 20, 2019

I was working on the requirements for my employer to cover $25 a paycheck towards my insurance premium. I was to complete one of three options, two of which were easy: a physical at my doctor's office or a class on good sleeping habits. With all the medications I was on, I could have chosen the physical and called it good. The third was a 3 month trial of Weight Watchers.

I watched my mom struggle with her weight all my life, and not from lack of trying. Exercise, diets, nothing worked. I was her first born and never saw her healthy unless it was in old photos before she was pregnant with me. She developed diabetes and was on the Atkins diet only by necessity and had no weight loss. She finally lost 70 pounds by the time I was 21. The lap band surgery was what finally gave her what she'd wanted for two decades. It was stunning, but costly to her. It never taught her better habits that got her there, only forced her to eat much slower and much less at once. When the food inevitably got stuck above the band, it had to come back up. The constant acid up her throat damaged much of her vocal cords. My mom's singing voice was one of our family treasures. She was heartbroken at losing her ability.

I was gifted with a similar talent. I struggled with my own weight gains. I was terrified that I would have to give up my own singing voice in order to reach my previous state of health. Back to seeing that WW option. For free. I remember my grandma tried it and did well. She was the only person I knew who had. If my employer was willing to waste their money for three months when nothing happened and still pay part of my premiums, I felt I had nothing to lose. I had built confidence in myself that didn't rely on how I physically looked. It couldn't hurt to try it.

January 12th, 2018 I was 247 pounds. April 12th, I had lost 19.2 of them. That week my employer gave me an email thanking me for sticking with all three months. The same email informed me they were paying for the next nine months of my membership. I'd become convinced of the program's benefits a month before and was planning on paying it myself at the end of the three months. I was elated at this reward!

May 3rd I reached 25 down. In September, we had the first anniversary of our wedding. I was 38 down. April 5th, 2019 I was under 200 pounds. I hadn't seen that for at least 7 years. My husband woke up thinking something happened when he heard me yelling that morning. A month later I reached 50 pounds down. My dog's bag of food weighs 50 pounds, and I struggle to carry it.

My journey wasn't a total straight declining line. Whoever named them plateaus was a liar. Should have named them nauseous roller coasters. I've had FOUR of them... so far. At those times it boiled down to a waiting game and finding new ways to keep my physical confidence in myself high. I'm not ready to call it done. If I could choose an ultimate weight goal, mine would be 160 - the same as when I was 18. I don't have any baby weight to lose as I've never been pregnant. I'm only 35 pounds away as of May 19th. I've become a fan of my local thrift shop. I'll probably keep going there even after I no longer have clothes outgrowing me.

I finally found the contact info for those amazing souls who offered me the first three months on them. I'm working on sending them a big thank you. My husband has been in love with me and my body years before I started. This month he picked me up for the first time. He grins every time his arms wrap tighter around me than before. I see my face in the mirror and have found a long lost friend. Most of all, my biggest non-scale victory: I can still sing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?

Original review: March 16, 2020

Absolutely do not sign up with this company. I live in a state where they have shut down all schools, restaurants, bars, etc because of Covid-19. Jobs are gone until who knows when. I contacted customer service to close my account in an effort to stretch my income as much as possible. I was told that an early cancelation would result in a $39 penalty. If people can't afford a monthly subscription why would you think they can afford a penalty. It is absolutely appalling. Do not sign up!

Original review: March 8, 2020

I joined the one month free promotion online after seeing the ads on t.v. and I was under the impression that if I didn't like it within the first free month, I'd be able to cancel to avoid paying for the 5 months beyond that. NOT THE CASE! I joined online on Dec. 28th then called to cancel on January 8th because the app was not what I expected and I knew I could get free recipes and idea on my own and I shouldn't be paying $41+ for something that is useless to me. The points system was not easy to follow and I'd rather count calories or keep a food journal. There was no food provided. What am I even going to be paying for, I asked myself?

So when I called to cancel, the lady said that I was on a contract and she couldn't refund anything at that time because I wasn't charged yet. After a long, frustrating phone call, she ASSURED ME that if I let her extend my free trial 30 more days, I could call back once I see my first bill and I could get a refund at that time. She did not give me a specific date to call by and did not tell me I would then be charged a cancellation fee. She simply said that I could get a refund at that time. So I agreed to call back. I never once used the app or anything associated with WW to help me in my diet. They sent random, useless emails that I was not interested in. I get those types of FREE emails from other sites, I would never have paid for the "information" they were trying to provide me.

Now that my bill has posted to my account last week, I was able to call to cancel and they said they could not refund me the $41+ and I'd be charged a cancellation fee of $64. THIS IS NOT WHAT THE FIRST LADY SAID TO ME! I am furious! I asked to talk to a manager and she was exactly as unhelpful as the first lady. She just kept saying she could not refund me anything or waive the cancellation fee. DESPITE the first lady making the mistake of telling me the wrong information. She suggested I read the fine print in my contract and then tried to talk me into downgrading my account to a digital account to pay only $21+ per month for the 5 months, which still would be getting their money from me in the long run. All for something I NEVER used and don't believe in.

I cannot believe the terrible customer service! As if they aren't making enough money off of people already. I wonder how many others were scammed. They will have to take me to court to get my $100 of hard earned money for something they should have never charged me for in the first place. A SERVICE that was useless and never used. What a RIPOFF and SCAM Weight Watchers is. You (WW association) all should be ashamed of yourself.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

There are SO MANY points values that are incorrect! For instance, when I scan an item, it may show one points value, and when I calculate it manually, it shows another! And when you look up the item in their system, who knows what you'll get. I've spent much time on the phone with WW detailing specific items (as I show in the example below), was even assigned case numbers several months ago, but nothing has been done about anything and nothing is ever corrected! They then told me to email customer service with these issues, and I have, but never a response from anyone either!

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE: MorningStar Farms Buffalo Chik Patties (NOTE THAT I HAVE THE DESCRIPTION TYPED EXACTLY AS ON THE PACKAGE). If you scan the package using the WW bar code scanner, it shows 5 points per patty. When you manually calculate, it shows 4 points patty. And when you look it up in the same item their system, it shows the following (and I'm also typing this exactly as they have on their website): Morning star farms Buffalo chicken patties (1 serving = 4 points) (wonder where they got that incorrect description from). And then right below that it says: MorningStar Farms Buffalo chik patties (1 serving 5 points).

I came across this type of discrepancy in 3 different items today, for a total of 3 points variance for the day! That's a lot when the daily points allowance is 23 points. When the WW system IS BASED ON A POINTS SYSTEM, then I expect the points values to be CORRECT. So now I have to take the time so manually calculate each item myself. That is the only way to make sure the points values are correct. This is a waste of my time and $19.95 a month, and as soon as I can get out of this 6-month program, I'm quitting WW again. I am paying WW to provide a service, and they cannot deliver.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I joined WW online a while back and religiously tracked everything I ate. I was completely compliant with the plan. At the end of 30 days, I had lost one quarter of a pound. Since then I discovered eating a ketogenic diet works best as I have insulin resistance. I've lost 40 pounds in 2 1/2 mos and it didn't cost me a dime. I'm never hungry as I was on WW. If you have metabolic syndrome and feel you are insulin resistant, keto is the only way to go because it lowers your insulin levels. Insulin is a fat storing hormone. If you have high levels of insulin, your body cannot access your stored fat. I've gone from pre-diabetic to normal, lowered my blood pressure, have excellent cholesterol levels, and all my inflammation related symptoms have resolved. I have tons of energy and sleep better.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I had better luck but now - doesn't work for me. I have a friend who is now a WW leader/counselor and it took her 3.5 years to lose 50 pounds. After 10 years, she has gained back 20 pounds. She claims keto is not sustainable, but I'm unable to find a single scientific study that shows what % of people who join reach their goal and stay there for 5 years or more. If WW is so sustainable, why does the average member join 4 times over their life-time? Hint: It's because WW is no more sustainable than any other diet, and 95% of all diets fail over the long term. Save your money, do your own research, and find what works for you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I have not cancelled yet and hope I do not have a problem after reading other reviews. The new WW has nothing new and the meetings I went to were boring and almost depressing. I think it's more of a social club for lonely people. Members said they had lost weight but 8 out of 7 people there were overweight AND they had been going for years. Weight Watchers has been around for a long time and I am sure it works for some but it's not for me. I just hope they keep their promise on my trial. They did extend my trial because I was sick for several weeks so that is a plus. If you can, try to attend a meeting without signing anything. You may have a different experience.

WW (Weight Watchers) Company Information