WW (Weight Watchers)
4.10/5
Based on 1,046 ratings submitted in the last year

Weight Watchers

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

WW is Weight Watchers Reimagined, a proven weight loss program founded in the 1960s. Their membership includes online tracking, in-person meetings, and one-on-one personal coaching. WW is focused on improving overall health, not just weight. Their app helps track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and find support within the online community. They also offer a SmartPoints and FitPoints program so members can start earning and stay on track.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1966 WW (Weight Watchers) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

When I started WW a month and 1/2 ago I was at the struggling to lose weight. Today I am 17lbs lighter because of WW. It’s not a diet and I’m never left starving. This program is amazing and so easy! WW changed my life!

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I love the WW apt. The only problem I have is there are suppose to be stars by the food items and there is not. I find it easy to follow, for someone my age (70), it has been a good experience for me so far.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

It's pretty straightforward - WW WORKS. It's pretty easy to follow and it is the healthiest way to lose weight. Although I appreciate the point system, I would like to have the option to count calories instead which will translate better once I have reached my goal. Forty years ago I lost 20 lbs on WW and was promised a lifetime membership (I have my pin to prove it). Now they tell me that I had to weigh in every month since then. REALLY??? You do have to be kidding - right?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I signed up for a special rate for six months, stopped going and called them, they continued to bill me at a higher rate without authorization and refuse to refund me. They are more interested in selling their products and not concerned about weight loss. This is not my first time around with Weight Watchers, I have found the focus of the meetings to be all about changes in WW and the app and not about personal weight loss struggles and concerns. Meeting focus has gone from a feeling of belonging to a group that cared to a small screen on your phone and the onslaught of new products, childish incentives ignoring the very basic reasons of why folks use this program in the first place. If you want change bring in fresh instructors instead of misleading schemes and scams.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

We are so sorry to hear of your frustration with WW and the recent changes, John. A member of our Resolution Team will need to speak with you further in hopes of providing you with a resolution. We will reach out to you privately.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been to WW almost my whole life and yes this program works! It is not a diet it is a lifestyle and believe me I have tried many... I have 7 pounds to get to my goal weight. I will do this! Love, love this program...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Weight Watchers is absolutely amazing. Weight is always something that I have struggled with since I was in high school. This was a life changing experience. This has taught me that it is okay to eat what I want (in moderation). It has changed my everyday look at what I eat. Now that I have reached my goal weight, I am trying to see if I can lose a few extra pounds. This program is absolutely amazing and will always be a huge part of my life.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I am excited about the new WW!!! There’s a group of us supporting each other. My friend Tina ** got us all motivated to do it!!! I’m down 7lbs and looking forward to reaching my goal. I also love the mindfulness aspect with the addition of HeadSpace!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been overweight for about the past 25 years, and am currently working on losing about 110 pounds. WW has helped me in the past with teaching me how to eat better, and to watch what I eat and the portion size. I feel I am more determined now in this process, and have my mindset focused. If I don't accomplish this, my health and my way of living will continue to diminish. I am doing this and will accomplish this for me! But it will also help my children and my husband if I turn to healthier eating habits.

I want to be here for my grandkids some day, and I want to be active with my kids again - instead of sitting on the sidelines, and not wanting to be in any pictures. WW is an amazing program - you just need to follow it, and you need to read their articles, tips, and recipes EVERY DAY. I've also found some great members to follow on Connect, as well as Instagram and YouTube -- once you connect with someone, follow them, do what they do, and follow the plan - it DOES work, and WILL work :).

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

WW (formerly Weight Watchers) has been a great program for me to lose the weight I needed. I was able to undo some past hip and back pain problems and feel better able to move the way I want. WW has also given me some good guidelines for tracking and losing. The one complaint I have is the support for those who are maintaining is severely lacking. When I have reached Lifetime I felt like I was just thrown into the deep end without a life preserver. It would be nice to have some extra support and guidance for maintaining.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

WW is, in my experience, the only program that encourages the participants to eat REAL food and offers recipes, online support, apps, real life coaches who have been successful working program. The community of online folks is a tremendous support. The meeting workshops are a "go to" for information and guidance during the journey. It's NOT just about dieting. It's all about getting healthy and feeling healthy. Although the primary focus for most is diet, it has evolved to much more of a whole mind & body experience. My only issue is the monthly cost for those on limited income can be a stretch. They do, however, offer special fees at times. When that happens, the cost is minimized and more affordable. I highly recommend WW.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

You asked. I'm telling. But I'm not so sure you really want my opinion. After all, I'm not young, a millennial, a new mom, one who goes clubbing, which is the demographic I see WW is focusing on mostly these days. Hmmm, those aren't the folks I see packing the meetings in my local storefront. Where is your balance showing all types of members, on your ads, in your commercials, on your posters? Where is the cross section of all races, genders, Ages, yes I emphasize Ages?

As a weight loss program WW has improved, changed, updated with new medical and health research, since I first joined in 1986. Yes, that is a positive. I preferred the Beyond the Scale program of 2016-2017, to this current Freestyle program. I lost most of my weight on that program and happily I've maintained. Still not at Goal. My chosen Goal, but I'll get there. My primary concern is not with me. I have learned, changed habits and am determined to be successful for the rest of my life.

I'm most concerned with the marketing changes and push to make WW All things to All people. It's watering down the focus. I think you're trying too hard and not succeeding as you hope you would. Changing words, 'meeting' to 'workshop', 'leader' to 'coach', is just unnecessary. It shows you're buying into the whole PC culture. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am not pleased with the lack of communication to the online community v those who attend meetings, when changes are implemented. It leaves people in the dark, often confused, which leads to anger. Send out emails, post notices on your site.

Your IT team leaves a lot to be desired. The app isn't so great. There are issues with Connect. It isn't as user-friendly and simple as it could be. I'm not a fan of the new Groups feature, as it segregates people and important comments by posters in those specific Groups, can't be seen by the general populace. You're further complicating what should be a simple system. The bigger you go, the messier it becomes. Focus! It's a weight loss company. That's what Jean Nidetch envisioned, started, cultivated. It's worked for years, don't wreck it. Your censorship rules are either confusing or secretive, can't easily be found online anymore. Why do you allow some things and not others to be posted? And for goodness sake, get rid of the Trending feature. You're making it a popularity contest. Reminds me of Junior High.

Guess what, most of the folks on WW already have self-image issues, confidence problems. You're making it worse. Don't you see how that can upset many? Folks who need support may feel further invisible, unappreciated when their big Success isn't suddenly Trending, yet another's is with even less 'likes'. It seems WW is really just out to make more money. You obviously spent a huge amount rebranding yourself as well as all your packaging. Tell me, did you also increase the salaries of all your employees? In all the shops around the world? I know you didn't. Shameful. You're turning into just another company that wants to make even more profit. Please don't tell me you're raising fees again. Have some concern for those of us who have strict budgets. All that being said, I'm committed to myself, my Success and will not drop out. My focus is me and my health.

Would I recommend the program? Yes. Why? It's sound, sane, balanced, teaches folks to enjoy life but be cognizant, employ moderation, be mindful of what they do and how they do it. Is any other program comparable? Well, not in the packaged food v buy/make our own sense, unless it's some Doctor/Dietician program. Do I think it's THE Best program? Meh, not necessarily so. That's why I gave you only 3 stars.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I really enjoy tracking via WW app. Easy to navigate and its frequent updates are relevant. I especially enjoy the Connect feature, learning from others experiences. I also like the groups by age category and the 25lb group, I can identify with both groups which is encouraging.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I am losing weight on the program but disappointed in the website. There is nothing that shows starting weight as Appleseed to current weight & does not show how much lost! Also many Weight Watcher recipes and foods are not in the list of foods!?!? Maybe I am not using app correctly but only help I have found is online chat. Also nowhere to put in my personal goal.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you to assist you with your Digital Tools, Jeanette. We look forward to assisting you and speaking with you further.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I love the online experience. I tried workshops and that lasted 2-3 weeks. I either have to drive an hour each way or try and pray I get off work early to attend a workshop. The workshops (I tried 2) I attended were just ok. Honestly, the first one was further than I wanted to drive and the second I got zero out of. I say mostly and visited with my friend. I see all these women on Instagram talking about their amazing workshops and I’d love that experience. But, you really need to offer more on weekends or later at night without driving forever. So I’m back on digital only getting so much more from women on Instagram than I do anything else.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

We are sorry to see you have canceled your WW subscription, Beth. If at any time we can assist you please do not hesitate to reach out. We do appreciate you as a WW member and hope you will rejoin us in the future. Best of luck on your wellness journey.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

This is my second venture with WW and to me it’s about living right where you are but with healthy choices along the way! I so love the connect panel and the groups they’ve provided! I can’t wait to see the new me in the next year!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I canceled over a month ago online but I found out I was charged for $44.95 for another month. I called customer service and the customer representative named Myri and she said: "Unfortunately, I cannot get my refund even though it is for only one day." This is ridiculous. I noticed that other members who canceled online were getting the same problems. I will never go back to them again and never recommend anyone to them.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Your happiness is important to us. We will reach out to you privately in hopes of providing you with a resolution. We appreciate your patience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I canceled my membership after several months of paying for it and not using it. I canceled the day after I was charged. WW is refusing to refund my $20 measly dollars. They refuse to waive the agreement of no refunds after billing is charged. I was a loyal customer for 6 years, paying them thousands of dollars for their service. They make billions a year from consumers like myself but can't refund a simple $20 fee. It is absolutely ridiculous and I will never give them another cent of my hard earned money.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

We are so sorry to hear of your frustration. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you privately. We look forward to assisting you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I cancelled my Weight Watchers online 9-13-2018. The cancellation policy stated I would be charged a one time cancellation fee of 39.95. Weight Watchers has continued to bill me for services I am not using. 19.95 per month for the last 3 months. They stated because I cancelled online instead of calling them that I had to pay for my entire contract. I will not use WW again because they do not stand by their cancellation polices. The service rep simply needed to refund me 20.00 to make this right.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

WW is committed to your happiness and success, Rebecca. We will be reaching out to you privately to provide you with a resolution.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

After cancelling our subscription, they agreed but said they would give us one additional month free. We then realized they kept billing over the next few months. Upon us calling to complain, we were put on hold for an unreasonable length of time and were treated poorly. No refund... very poor & deceptional billing practice.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Your experience is very important to us, Sandy. A Resolution Specialist will be in touch soon.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

This is the second month in a row, that when my month is up, the app all of a sudden wants me to sign in with my password and user name. My credit card is on file. I've signed on for a continuous membership. I don't carry my password information around. This last time I was traveling. 4 days without being able to log or anything else. Very disruptive when you are trying to stay on track, especially with the holidays and all. Not happy that this happens!!

WW (Weight Watchers) response

We know how important it is to have tools that work for you, Sue. A member of our Resolution Team would love to assist you further.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I am seriously overweight and have a cardiac issue. My doctor recommended Weight Watchers as the best way to lose weight sensibly. So far it is working well for me. I hope to lose up to 100 pounds. So far I have lost 20 pounds after my first 4 weeks. I feel fine with the point structure, the website to track the value of what I eat and the food options being normal. I plan on doing this program for a while.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

WW is still relying on outdated scammy policies like charging a $65 cancellation fee even though I pay monthly. Also, I tried to change my plan to a different plan that would be better for me and my goals, and apparently they don't allow it. They only care about squeezing as much money out of their customers as possible. I know the program works for some but I've had no success after 6 months.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Jessi, thank you for reaching out to us. We will private message you in hopes of providing you with a resolution. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I just recently rejoined WW and so far I am happy with the experience. I find the studio meetings helpful and the freestyle program easy to follow. My leader is resourceful and other members in person and on Connect are very encouraging.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I’ve tried all diets possible, but WW is the only one I can eat normally without buying shakes or meals. I strive for making lifetime. I have found a coach that I believe can make that happen. I’ve contacted several friends telling them about this lifestyle, hopefully as they see the way I look & feel they’ll join too.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was hesitant in the beginning but after researching WW I thought what the heck for the price, what do I have to lose, but hopefully a few pounds. Wow within about 6 weeks I lost 20 lbs. So so happy and the program is so easy to follow. I have to admit I fell off the wagon for my birthday and again for the Thanksgiving holiday but hey I'm back on the wagon again and don't feel too guilty. I have to admit the easiest part of the program is that I can eat pretty much about everything as long as I stay within my points. So super easy to follow. I already have two other people sign up and they too have lost weight. My favorite of Weight Watchers is the scanner. Love going grocery shopping with my WW scanner! I say try it. You won't regret it!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

So my wife and I joined Weight Watchers on October 9, 2018. So far we are both losing weight and are happy with our results to this point. As of last Tuesday 11-20 my wife had lost over 10 lbs and myself over 20 lbs. We are both able to eat delicious food such as pizza, steak sandwiches, pasta with meatballs, and many more of our favorite foods. We both use the WW app and track all food and activities we do. We both would like to lose some more weight and we feel confident we will on the Weight Watchers easy to follow system.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I've been a member of WW previously -- over several years -- but have never been as comfortable with the program as I am now. Certainly I've lost weight in the past, but the current program seems to be easier for me to navigate. Use of the APP is a valuable asset when at home, in grocery stores, or in a restaurant. I feel I will have the greatest success in the next 6 months. Slow and easy is my motto, with a reward at the end!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I was a lifetime member of WW and maintained my weight from 2004 to 2013. But I stopped attending the meeting and that was when my weight increased. So I am back to a better program whichever is something I did not. Think was possible. I love the WW app and lots of free food. I have lost 4 lbs in 4 weeks but I feel better and clothes fit better already.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I've turned to WW anytime I've been overweight since 1996 and have always been a fan of the program, but this new Freestyle Plan is really the best ever. It's just sensible healthy eating habits that one can easily adhere to for life! I'm happy to be back on track again. I was developing some bad habits - mostly from using more oil in cooking than is necessary for delicious food. I love to cook and I'm modifying all my recipes based on WW principles and collecting them in a binder.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Let me first say, I'm a diehard WW supporter...until you introduced Freestyle. I've never been so frustrated in all my life! I lost over 90 lbs in college, life happened, joined half-heartedly a few times, but was on the way to Lifetime success in 2017. I was so excited. Then you introduced Freestyle. My weightless came to a grinding halt. The life-timers in my class, on average gained 10 lbs! Your inflexibility about offering what works for the "older contingent" is mind-blowingly frustrating to say the least. WE WANT THE OPTION!

Therefore, I could not continue my group meeting membership because I could not justify the cost. Seems like the only thing you all are interested in is extending the time that people PAY to reach lifetime...not staying true to your roots of WEIGHT LOSS! It's all about the money (my theory). I struggle even now to keep and justify paying you for the tracking app. I guess it's in hopes that you regain your senses, listen to the masses that want the option of Smart Points!

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Thank you for providing your feedback to us, Donna. Your success is so important to us and we would like to help. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you privately.

WW (Weight Watchers) expert review by JJ Virgin

Food and activity is digitally tracked starting at $4.22 a week with access to online recipes, a members-only community and 24/7 expert chat. In-person workshops and personal coaching is optional.

• Food choice flexibility: The SmartPoints system assigns all food and drinks a number and each user a personalized budget. More than 200 foods (like fruits and vegetables) are zero points and don’t have to be tracked or measured.

• Rewards program: A free WellnessWins rewards program allows members to earn points for everyday healthy behaviors, like meal tracking, activity and weight loss. Rewards include clothing, gift cards and accessories.

• Eat packaged food: Scan the barcode of packaged food with the Weight Watchers’ app to determine its SmartPoints value and add it to your diet.

• Personalization: Work on your own or opt to attend weekly group workshops in your area or interact online with a coach of your choosing, available for unlimited one-on-one phone sessions.

• Shop online or in stores: Weight Watchers’ brand products, including food and snacks with assigned SmartPoints values, are available online or in grocery stores nationwide.

• Best of those who like to cook: Members can access a growing database of over 4,000 recipes filtered by meal time, SmartPoints value, prep time and dietary needs.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
JJ Virgin Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

WW (Weight Watchers) Company Information