Weight Watchers

WW (Weight Watchers)
Shop on Amazon
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.68/5

Formerly known as Weight Watchers, WW sells memberships that include online tracking, in-person meetings and one-on-one personal coaching. The app helps you track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and locate support within the online community. It also offers SmartPoints and FitPoints programs to help dieters stay on track.

BOTTOM LINE

WW weight loss plans offer a lot of flexibility to dieters. Workshop + Digital plans offer in-person sessions and support, but all WW plans include a private online community for long-term weight loss success.

PROS

• SmartPoints Budget System
  • Digital WW app tracks progress
  • Personal support

CONS

• In-person aid not always available
  • Most meals must be prepared at home

Top WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews We Found

I've been using WW for a month now and have had a very good experience. I've already recommended the service to two friends, one of which said he's signing up this week. The only negative issue I've had is with the App not giving me the same amount of flexibility as using a desktop computer...

I’ve joined WW twice in the past, but find this plan the best they’ve ever had…The meeting I go to is amazing… it makes me feel part of a community, and supported. I love this program. I’ve been a member four weeks and am seeing a steady weight loss. I’m excited to go to my meetings.

Weight Watchers Shop on Amazon

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About Weight Watchers diet

WW (formerly known as Weight Watchers) is a global weight loss and health management program for both short-term and long-term dieters. WW Freestyle programs use the SmartPoints Budget system, which allows members to follow the WW diet easily. WW provides more than 4,000 recipes that can be made at home, plus guidelines for how to eat out on the program. The company also lets brand ambassadors earn a commission through an affiliate program when they share WW with others.

How does Weight Watchers work?

The key to success in the WW program is a specially designed SmartPoints system. Every food and drink item is assigned a number based on its calories, saturated fat, protein and sugar content. Members are then given a weekly and monthly “budget,” taking into consideration their activity, health goals and lifestyle. Dieters track their food, exercise and progress to make sure they're on target with their health goals.

With the points system, up to four daily unused SmartPoints can roll over into the next weekly budget. There are also 200+ Zero Points foods, such as eggs, salmon, chicken breast and beans, which don't need tracking while in the program.

WW keeps members motivated through its free rewards program — WellnessWins — where members celebrate creating healthy habits. Rewards include fitness class passes, wine tumblers, and take anywhere organizers. All WW memberships include a private online community and 24/7 support from a WW Coach, which is accessible through the digital app.

Weight Watchers programs

WW currently offers three membership options: Digital, Workshops + Digital, or Personal Coaching + Digital. WW Freestyle is the core program followed in all three of WW plans.

• Digital: For those just starting, the Digital plan gives dieters 24/7 support through an app and website. Members get access to WW’s database of more than 4,000 recipes and access to Connect, a private online community. The app also syncs with fitness trackers.
  • Workshop + Digital: For dieters who prefer a more personalized program, WW offers in-person sessions in addition to their digital plans. There are more than 3,000 studio locations nationwide offering about 14,000 workshops a week. With the help of certified coaches, members learn how to manage and maintain weight loss through healthy strategies. Memberships also include weekly check-ins with WW coaches.
  • Personal Coaching + Digital: The WW Personal Coaching + Digital plans provide tailored one-on-one coaching as part of its premium packages. The Personal Coaching + Digital plan doesn't include private check-ins, but it does include personalized action plans that help members meet weight loss goals.

Compare Weight Watchers pricing options

Price per week*$3.07$6.92$12.92
Food and activity tracking
Weekly group Workshops
Personalized action plans
WW pricing varies by location. Costs shown here are based on ZIP code 74119.

How to use the Weight Watchers food scale

The WW food scale comes pre-programmed with a database of more than 500 foods. It also gives you the option of adding in calories, protein, sugar and saturated fat for the scale to calculate, making it easy to weigh foods at home or on the go. The WW SmartPoints kitchen scale can be used to weigh foods and can save up to 10 favorites for future reference.

Foods to eat on Weight Watchers

Generally, WW dieters eat foods that are rich in whole grains and fiber.

• Eggs
  • Fish
  • Beans
  • Avocado

Foods to avoid on Weight Watchers

WW dieters generally avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt, fat and calories.

• Burgers
  • Alcohol
  • Soda
  • Butter

Weight Watchers FAQ

What do you get when you join Weight Watchers?
All WW members get access to the digital program, which includes a database of 4,000+ recipes, a private online community and 24/7 support from a coach. All memberships include access to WW’s app, where members can track daily activity and food intake to see your progress. Some members opt to attend in-person sessions or work one-on-one with a WW coach.
How do you lose weight on Weight Watchers?
WW encourages weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise. WW uses the SmartPoints Budget system, where food and drink items are given a number. Based on your weight loss goals, you’re then given a weekly and daily “budget” of points.
What can I eat on Weight Watchers diet?
WW diets are flexible enough that you can almost eat anything you want (in moderation). With the SmartPoints system, you can create foods at home that fit into your weight loss goals or eat out with family and friends.
How much does Weight Watchers cost?
Programs start around $3 per week, and the standard monthly cost for the introductory plan is approximately $19.95 before tax.
How quickly can I lose weight on Weight Watchers?
Most people on the WW program see a weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. How quickly you lose weight on WW depends on your goals, activity level and lifestyle.
Where can I buy a Weight Watchers calculator?
SmartPoints calculators for the freestyle program can be purchased through WW’s online store.
Does Weight Watchers provide food?
No, WW does not provide food. Members are responsible for all their grocery shopping.
Does Weight Watchers have free registration?
Occasionally WW offers exclusive online specials when members can sign up for $0 and get 2 months free.

Is Weight Watchers worth it?

Yes. WW services are excellent for individuals looking to be part of a healthy community and get accountability on their journey. For a low monthly cost, members get access to WW’s website and app, which includes their WW Freestyle program and guidelines on their SmartPoints diet. Freestyle gives members a flexible approach to healthy eating, allowing for a personalized approach to weight loss.

WW (Weight Watchers) Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I've been on WW for about a month. I lost about 13 lbs. I'v been overweight all my life. I've tried Adkins but I gained my weight back on it. I've educated myself a little on food addiction.mOn this program you must know yourself. You also must know Sugar and fats is very addicting. You are given a bunch of points throughout the day and basically no food is off limits. Let me ask you Can you eat 1 Oreo? Can you really eat 1 oz of Wise potato chips? If you can then this program is the best for you "the way it's written." I tried the program years ago thinking wow I can lose weight and still have Cookies and chips, but it never worked. It didn't work for me not because it can't be done. It didn't work because I'm a sugar and Carbohydrate addict.

A lot of people don't like the new program, but I do. I can have sweets such as apples, Blueberry, and Protein steak chicken. I also learned I like fish (which I never ate before WW) and I'm beginning to see I can have beans and chickpeas (zero points) and I'm losing weight. I do monitor myself. It’s very important for me that I do. Even though the diet is written no food is off limits you still have to be careful. For example, I had to give up a free food called grapes. I was eating the whole bag. Yes it's zero points but I want to lose weight and it still has calories and carbs. On Amazon I bought Flex Protein chips 24 hips (1 oz is 2 points) 1 bag of Doritos around one oz is 5 points. The whole bag flex protein chips is 9 points (5oz) so if I eat the whole thing I won't get in that much trouble. I have found if I keep the whole bag in bed with me, I will eat the whole bag. So I put the bag back into the kitchen (after taking my oz) and that worked better.

I'm a man that loves pizza, pasta, cookies and chips and meats. With this diet I can stay away from food that they offer at customer service appreciation week at work or the muffin my roommate offers. I have nice alternatives tip steak, London Broil, mesquite chicken, fish I buy at Sam's club, Blueberry's, Strawberry, and I can have equal with it, tilapia, all the shrimp I want (3 lbs at Sam's club $14.62). The wonderful thing about this diet I don't feel deprived. Sure, I'd like some pizza and one slice is 11 points. But I like the fact I feel healthier (I have a ton of energy now and I’m losing weight). I want that more for now. One day after I lose ½ my weight I’ll treat myself to pizza or find an alternative beforehand.

WW is big on giving a lot of points to condiments. I can have more quantity if I get let’s say low fat mayo. But I don’t want to feel deprived so I put on ‘REAL MAYO’ one teaspoon is (1 pt) a tablespoon is (3) pts. So I can have my Ever roast Boars head Chicken sandwich on 1 slice of bread (2 points) with all the chicken I want 2-4 oz (0 points,) tablespoon of real mayo (3 points). Guess what I’m happy I had real food for lunch and it's only 5 points. On this program if you are in a rush you can have a Whopper jr sandwich with cheese for 11 points and value onion rings for 5 points for a total of 16 points and I'm happy. (I only did that once because I know me) For burgers I usually have 8 oz burger (90%) lien (12 points) 1 slice of bread (2 points) teaspoon of real Hellman's mayo (1 pt) a total of 14 points and I had triple the meat real mayo and less carbs (which also helps for weight loss.) and I'm full for hours

I love this diet but again you need to customize it for yourself. Yes they have zero point food and low point food but that doesn't mean you can over eat. They have stuff on it like candy cookies and ice cream. Can you handle it staying in your budget? if you can't then yes you need to stay away. Addiction is addiction whether it's sugar, drugs or alcohol no program can solve that but you can put it in arrest by staying away and having other things you enjoy but not addicted to. To conclude I’ve lost 13 lbs in a month. I feel great on this program. I wish everyone luck on it. Remember it’s not perfect but for me it’s the best one out there.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I was a new mom and my daughter was about 9 months old when I started Weight Watchers with a friend. I learned how to lose weight with food I bought only on the outside perimeters of the grocery store, in other words with fresh ingredients. Also we were taught how to measure our food on a scale until it was easy to see a portion and know what it weighs without having to use a scale. I became a lifetime member and have kept my weight off to this day, my daughter is now in her 30s with children of her own.

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My hubby told me my body was gross after having our third kiddo, lol. I can't say I disagreed! I had put on over 15 lbs and it had to come off fast. DH surprised me with a Weight Watchers membership for a "just because" gift! Haha most women I know were angry that he was making such a stink about it, they all said how great I looked, how they couldn't believe I was even pregnant, how they would be livid if their husbands ever gave them a weight loss tool for a gift. But to me and my family it was important, we knew I wasn't as fit as I could be. WW gave me the support I needed to battle through and shed the 15 lbs and then some! We tried some of the recipes but I mostly just followed the points system and the instructions for eating out on my own time. DH works a demanding job with high-end hedge fund clients so I get a lot of time to myself with the kiddos. We almost always liked the suggestions.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Congrats on your success, Celeste! Best of luck on your wellness journey!

--WW Resolution Team--

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have been a lifetime member of Weight Watchers (now called "WW") for over 40 years. Officially, you can attend meetings and have online tools for free as long as you keep within 2 pounds over your goal. When I go over goal, I just return to the basic program and get my weight back down. It is a lifestyle, a way of eating, and you can eat anything but you have to account for the points it will cost.

The online tools are great and I've seen the organization evolve from just a one-page diabetes-style diet under Jean Neidich to one that has become very corporate. They add many elements- not just weight loss (like stress reduction, exercise, meditation, and basically changing your mindset). The down side is that they do try to sell their products at the meetings, and their online tool does not track anything but points. The free "My Fitness Pal" app can track things like carbs, sugar, calcium, etc., which I wish WW's app would do.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Weight Watchers is successful because they take all the guessing out of what you're eating. No special pills, shakes, or jumping through hoops. It makes you realize what you're eating and how much. I think keeping track of it makes you aware of the choices you're making. The pre-planning of your meals lets you know what's in your foods and can make/freeze in advance your meal plan. It even gives you hints of food to snack on. It's really the best weight loss plan on the market. You're eating real food. Not pre-packaged frozen (full of salt) meals.

WW (Weight Watchers) response

Thanks for your positive feedback! We are excited to have you as a WW Member!

--WW Resolution Team--

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WW (Weight Watchers)?

Original review: May 12, 2020

I have had my digital account for more than a year and I enjoyed it, but when it came time to cancel, I was charged two times after I cancelled. I finally got a live person who explained to me in a condescending tone that it was my fault for not keeping an email that I never received. I had a verification three times that my account was cancelled when I cancelled online. She would not refund my money. WW will make unauthorized charges on your credit card and have never give you a refund. They are thieves!!!!

Original review: May 5, 2020

I joined in Nov 2018. Didn’t like the plan so I canceled online. After taking a deep dive into my credit card miscellaneous charges, I came to noticed that I have been billed $19.95 a month for 30 MONTHS... That's $600. I was like, “what?!” They said they could only refund me three months. The reason it didn't cancel is because I needed to call to cancel. Cancelling online doesn't count??? I logged into this app maybe the first few weeks and never again. Why would they not send me an email to tell me to call to cancel after I canceled online if they needed to hear my voice. They didn't need to hear my voice when I signed up online??? Watch yourself - they will take your money!

Original review: April 29, 2020

It is literally impossible to CANCEL...IMPOSSIBLE! Their customer service contact is ridiculous, they make it hard. I cancelled, got a confirmation and they still continue to charge. I had to dispute it with PayPal. Let me say this, I've been on Weight Watchers several times in my life. The program itself is wonderful. But you would think I would learn my lesson not to trust them as far as cancelling memberships. I WILL NEVER SIGN UP FOR WEIGHT WATCHERS AGAIN!!!! I'm so disgusted!!!

Original review: April 24, 2020

Signed up for a plan that I thought was 4.99 a month but was charged almost 21 a month. In order to cancel there is an a 39.95 cancellation fee. This company is such a rip off! The app is definitely NOT worth 21 a month. It didn't have most of the food I eat and constantly froze! I did follow the plan for a month and had NO results. I'll never recommend this!

Original review: April 20, 2020

I signed up with Weight Watchers. I could not cancel their service. They are very hard to get out of their program once you are in their clutches. You don't need to sign up. All the recepies you need are easily found online.

WW (Weight Watchers) Company Information