Call toll free
  • 1 star
Based on 227 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Weight Watchers is a proven weight loss program founded in the 1960s. Their membership includes online tracking, in-person meetings, and one-on-one personal coaching. Weight Watchers is focused on improving overall health, not just weight. Their app helps track food intake and activity, find recipes, join local meetings and find support within the online community. They also offer a SmartPoints and FitPoints program so members can start earning and stay on track.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

626 Weight Watchers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I must be a slim exception to the other comments here. I enjoy the new program and the zero points not free points. I don't feel hungry whatsoever, it is a better program for me. Seeing a lot of complaints that they cannot eat the 0 points, that's why Weight Watcher gives you the freedom to choose other things that you can eat. And no I am not a Weight Watcher employee I am a member.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I joined Weight Watchers online only back in March 2017. Since that time I have lost 75 lb on a plan that really worked for me! I could eat a variety of foods and never felt restricted. Then along came Freestyle and everything has changed. I have digestive issues & IBS - this prevents me from eating a lot of the free foods (especially beans) that are on the program. I firmly believe what my nutritionist told me - "everything in moderation", but this plan stresses high protein, low carbs. I'm concerned about its effect long-term. Been trying to follow since its inception 1 month ago, and have really been struggling.

Freestyle supporters say it's great because you don't have to track as much... the tracking is what kept me accountable! This reminds me of when I was on WW many years ago - there was a choice of 2 plans (one with more tracking and one with less), but at least there was a choice! I'm trying to work the plan by using my 23 points (used to be 30) and then just adding the extra to get to 30. But it's more time consuming and I find I'm not tracking everything as I did before. This "Free"style program is anything but that! WW should give participants a choice of plans to truly fit their needs. I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Weight Watchers response

We would love to speak with you and offer you resources for your journey, Jeanne. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I started weight watchers in August 2017. I never felt like I was dieting and my fear of food was gone. The minute I lost my fear I lost weight. I never felt hungry, deprived and going out was easy. I was a huge cheerleader for Weight Watchers. The fact that pasta, bread, and snacks were allowed I lost 28 lbs. Now I'm in limbo, I hate eating again and not losing weight. I follow many of the bloggers who tested this freestyle plan before us, and I don't know if you didn't do a big enough test market... but looking at their plated meals is gross. Just because it's 0 points... no thank you. I feel restricted, like I'm on a terrible diet and not happy. At one point before the change I was so positive and felt like the old plan was so amazing I wanted to work for weight watchers. If there is a way to let people choose a plan PLEASE??? Let us. Freestyle sucks.

Weight Watchers response

We would love to speak with you about this, Dawnmarie. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been a WW member with great success over my lifetime. Love my leader and recently lost 55 lbs and back to Lifetime. I do not like Freestyle at all. Way too restrictive and the lower points is awful. I agree with all of the negative comments above. How much eggs, chicken and turkey can you eat? No freedom at all for anything good like you used to have. I actually haven't gone since I tried the first week with no success. Very disappointing. Thank you.

Weight Watchers response

We would love to discuss this further with you, Stephanie. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I am reviewing the new freestyle plan. I did great on Smart Points, but now I absolutely am against freestyle. It has not helped, I feel hungry all the time, and forced to eat their foods, and have lost the joy of the program completely. I have chatted with folks from WW 3 times about this displeasure, and sent one feedback note, but no one has ever tried to help. I want to go back to the old system, or try something else. It is sad, because the old system was the best thing I had ever tried, and it worked like a charm. Is there anything else I can do besides freestyle?

Weight Watchers response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Greg. We would love to discuss this further. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you here. We look forward to speaking with you.

--Weight Watchers Resolution Team--

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weight Watchers?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Every person who is somehow involved in the WW billing system should get fired immediately. Every time I try to sign up for a membership, my card gets charged like 20 times and the account is still not working after. These people are the biggest losers I had ever contact with.

Weight Watchers response

We sincerely apologize for your experience with our billing system and our customer service team, Nico. We would love the opportunity to discuss this further. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Weight Watchers has done wonders for both my wife and myself. We have tried several other weight loss programs with next to no luck but WW seemed to work well for us based on the fact that it taught us portion control and instilled in us a lifestyle change. This was key for our weight loss. The first time we joined Weight Watchers (2009) we lost 70 lbs collectively, fell off the bandwagon and we rejoined October 2017 and have since collectively lost 28 lbs. Based solely on this information I would have given 5 stars. Here is why I only gave 1 star: The new freestyle program does not work for us. As opposed to the old program we are hungry ALL of the time and we find ourselves snacking throughout the day. Neither of us like eggs and can't eat fish. We are so sick of chicken. I can hardly get it down and that really just leaves us with turkey and beans (and a few other things).

We are both emergency services workers and work night shifts so we have no choice but to eat out when it's 4am which leaves us with only a fast food option. Fast food isn't ideal but on the old program we were able to include these types of meals when needed with no issue. Now that I have 13 points less per day it becomes nearly impossible to stay within my daily and even weekly points some weeks. Since the rollout of the "freestyle" program I have begun to gain weight slowly. I wish WW would listen to the majority of the people on this forum, we need them to give us the option to move back to the smartpoints program.

Weight Watchers response

We are committed to your success and would love the opportunity to discuss this with you further. A member of our Resolution Team will be in touch shortly. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I am an online only subscriber as of mid October. As an over 65 woman, I have dieted off and on most of my adult life. I have been successful on Metabolic, another just like it that became Nutrisystem, done Paleo, tried Mediterranean, no counting, but a fixed menu with chickpea salads every other day for lunch. After successfully losing, life happens and the weight yoyo cycle starts again. I heard so much good about smart points. No real deprivation, no crazy foods, living normally, but learning portion control. I could have oatmeal, some nuts and oils as needed for health, but not be punished. Protein in moderation with an emphasis on fruit and vegetables. This was working with a successful loss of almost 20 pounds to my 30 goal. I have food allergies and sensitivities. This results in IBS and then I must be gentle to my gut. Also, with certain meds, foods are restricted.

When freestyle rolled out, I feel I am being punished for my allergies to beans, peas, and some fruits like bananas (used like a fat for many-my most severe allergy). I had found a wonderful way to eat in moderation, with variety and no cravings. Freestyle is my worst nightmare. 7 points gone and no real variety, just an old school diet of poultry, eggs (I am an egg gagger) and seafood. I have done this many times before and it works quickly, but is not a long term solution. We need fats (my Dr. Wants me to increase healthy fats and more healthy grains) Lean protein is good, but in moderation, not all you can eat. I also bought cookbooks for the plan not knowing they would be obsolete in less than a month.

Weight Watchers response

We appreciate the opportunity to address your situation, Linda. Someone from our Resolution Team will be reaching out to you shortly. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I joined Weight Watchers last summer and was able to lose 20 lbs, on the 30 point a day system, when I was on that program, I was actually told at the meetings, that you HAD to eat all 30 points or you could gain weight. Now with the "freestyle program" my points are 23 per day, assuming that I am eating eggs, lentils and chicken all day every day. This program is very restrictive and I am feeling hungry all the time. I work a full time job and am a grandmother of 2, I try and prepare my food ahead of time, which I did with the 30 point program as well, but the points are too low. If Weight Watchers refuses to let customers do the either or method, then I am just going to count all my food up to 30 points. Not happy this was changed, tired of feeling hungry.

Weight Watchers response

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience with Freestyle, Karen. We value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. A member of our Resolution Team will be reaching out to you privately. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I been with W.W. for a while now which is fine for me but to try to contact their Billing dept. is a total nightmare! I bought the 3 month plan not to have another monthly charge by the end of the same month! I tried their 24/7. Called the customer service and left messages and still not response nor help! I am really disappointed in this company... Instead of paying Oprah to do the commercials why not hire more people for your customer service?

Weight Watchers response
All feedback is important to us and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your Weight Watchers experience, Franca. We strive to provide excellent customer service, and regret the experience you’ve had. We’ll schedule someone from our Resolution Team to contact you to form

a solution. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I had reached and maintained goal for over a year on SmartPoints. The old Points+ system allowed too much sugar and cost you points for veggies and fruit. After the first five pounds, it didn't work for me. Later on I tried again, and WW had introduced SmartPoints. What a difference. The SP system allowed less sugar (but not none) and took away the points for veggies and fruit. It still allowed for portion control. I lost 35 pounds and became lifetime. I was successful; I had a portion-controlled lifestyle eating plan that was satisfying, not a diet, and I felt I was set for the rest of my life. I still went to meetings for the motivation and camaraderie.

Then Freestyle happened. This new WW plan will only work if you have enough willpower to not overeat. Let's face it... if you eat too many calories, whether healthy calories or not, you're going to gain weight. If I had the willpower to not overeat, or was not a person who is constantly hungry, I wouldn't have needed WW to begin with. I relied on SmartPoints to give me portion control. After trying this new plan for a month, I've gained two pounds and have now gone back to Smart Points to regain goal and continue maintenance.

When WW switched from Points+ to SmartPoints, the recipe bloggers continued to list Points+ counts on the recipes they developed. But now that SmartPoints is gone, the bloggers are no longer giving Smart Points on their recipes. Why? Has WW gotten to them somehow? I asked one of them why they were no longer listing SP counts and got a non-answer. And was told to "move on"!

WW claims their research says people won't binge on meat, eggs, beans, yogurt and corn. Who says you won't overeat those things, especially when they've taken daily points away from you? Hunger is hunger. I don't know where they got that idea. And now there are fewer points for the fun things in your life to eat; the things that make an eating lifestyle interesting and not depressing.

I believe this "research" is more about a marketing ploy than anything else. Freestyle feels more like Atkins than a balanced plan that includes all foods in sufficient quantity to help you feel satisfied and not deprived. And I agree with the reviewer above who developed digestion problems. Protein stays with you, yes, but it can also cause constipation and other digestive problems. I want to see Oprah lose weight on Freestyle! I still have everything I need for reverting to SmartPoints, and that is my plan. As for the bloggers' recipes, I will just have to go the extra steps to add back in the new 0 point foods at the old SP count. But it will be a hassle, and I'm confused as to why they won't continue to list SP like they did Points+.

Weight Watchers response

We are sorry to hear you are not enjoying Freestyle, Cyndy. We want nothing more than for you to be successful and to feel you can enjoy the new program. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I have always told people the best program out there is Weight Watchers. It teaches portion control and shows you can eat what you like but still lose weight and make choices for yourself. I Have lost 45 pounds and was happy. I was not a big fan of Smart Points as found when you have zero point foods you don’t lose and it started forcing you to eat less carbs by attaching high points. I mean I couldn’t even drink orange juice without giving up a ton of points. That being said I still lost weight although I was hungry most of the time. Now they have Freestyle which is awful. It is a low carb program. I was on it for 2 weeks and felt like I was starving. I didn’t lose weight and now am off of it as I felt unwell. They are going against the very foundation they built the company on. There is no freedom as you are forced to eat foods that are zero points.

If you eat all your points and zero foods you don’t lose weight. We have been taught calories in calories out is how we lose weight along with activity and guess what? They were right. The original Point systems were based around this concept so how is it now suppose to work with all these zero points? This is not really new. They are just forcing people to do the core program. At least when that program was active you had a choice where now there is none. We are doing this in office and about half the people have dropped off including myself. People who were losing weight are maintaining it. There is an awful lot of frustration. The best program they had was the original. You counted everything and made your own choices. I lost a lot of weight doing that.

Years have gone on and with the changes has made it more difficult. The very least they should do is offer the points program and freestyle and actually give people a choice of what works for them. They will be losing a lot of customers the way they are going. I have seen at least half of the class at work pull out so I know it’s not just me. I can no longer say it’s the best plan out there as it’s really no better than the other low carb plans and that makes me sad to say it. I hope down the road it changes and I can rejoin. For now I will look for a program that is not so restrictive.

Weight Watchers response

All feedback is important to us and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your Freestyle experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service. We’ll schedule someone from our Resolution Team to contact you to form a solution.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have to start with saying that I have been on Weight Watchers through various incarnations. PointsPlus was by far my most successful followed by SmartPoints. That being said, I have been nothing but frustrated by Freestyle. This new plan reminds me of Flex/Core. That was when I stepped away from WW. I find this new plan too restrictive and makes the assumption that everyone has time to meal prep for days ahead. I have 3 kids in 3 schools, after school activities, a husband who is on an opposite shift and I also work full time. Meal prepping for me is unreasonable at this stage in my life.

I work on a day to day basis. I also don't have time to be cooking chicken and eggs every day. Yes, I can make a dozen hard boiled egg but if I have to eat one more egg I’m going to turn into a chicken. I don't see myself coming around to this very restrictive program. My monthly membership is up on January 4th 2018 and I will not be rejoining. Breaking up is hard to do WW but you don't complete me anymore. :(

Weight Watchers response

Hi, JoAnn. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you've had with Freestyle. We’ll schedule someone from our Resolution Team to contact you to form a solution. We look forward to speaking with you.

--Weight Watchers Resolution Team--

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I returned to WW after previously being successful. Six years ago I was on program and succeeding however had an accident and broke my tibia and things went downhill from there. I am back as I know the program works and I need to be accountable for my actions and every one piece of food I put in my mouth. WW allows me to be flexible but stay on track! I use online support as well as meetings. I find weighing in at a meeting works best for me as I see it as a weekly check in however the online support during the week is just what I need to stay positive and motivated.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I joined Weight Watchers in October. I had previously been on the program and knew that it works if you apply yourself. I had lost more than 26 pounds, averaging 2 pounds a week. The program was working and did not feel like a diet at all. I was able to enjoy the foods I love in controlled amounts and lose weight. The plan abruptly changes to Freestyle and this is a strict diet. Everyone knows eating a diet of skinless chicken breast, fish and veggies will help with weight loss, but not being given a choice by lowering the daily point allowance is too restrictive. It will also makes maintenance an impossible job. I am paying for this plan and should be given a choice in the plan I choose to follow.

I have reached out to Weight Watchers through the app to see if there is a way to go back to the old plan and was told no. I spoke with my group leader and received the same response. This is less Freestyle and more forced dieting. I will continue to struggle with this plan until I find a suitable replacement. They are out there and they include apps and eating guidelines as well.

Weight Watchers response

We are sorry to hear you are not enjoying Freestyle, Chrystal. All feedback is important to us and we will forward your review to the appropriate department for review and consideration on future products and services. A member of our Resolution Team will be reaching out to you shortly. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I prefer the old Weight Watchers program over the new one. I'll explain. On the old program you could eat what you wanted, but in limited quantities; you were encouraged to eat fruit and vegetables (which I did daily), however; on the new program, you MUST eat lots fruits, lean meats, and vegetables in order to have any sense of hunger relieved. To me, this is not a lifestyle, rather a diet. I did very well on the last program and I wish I was given a choice between the two programs. I understand that you can roll over points, a lot of free points, based on science, etc., but I know what works for me and my lifestyle. I have lost 71 pounds so far. (30 lbs on my own and 40 lbs on WW). I have tried different "diets" and I can tell you from my experience it's a lifestyle that works, not a diet for the duration. For me something making you to eat certain foods is not successful. Even with all the "free foods".

I'm very disappointed with the new program. I truly wish Weight Watchers would give us a choice between the two plans. I know I'm not a scientist, but I am a paying for that scientist and I'd like a choice to say what works for me, and so many others I've heard from. It doesn't feel like we have a choice at all in the matter. I'm hoping that my comment will actually count and I'm not given a pat answer from WW.

Weight Watchers response

We first want to congratulate you on 71 lbs lost, Carolyn. What a major accomplishment! Please know that we take your concerns very seriously and we would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to discussing this further with you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I am so disappointed in Weight Watchers. I joined in September and lost 27 pounds and have had so much success with SmartPoints. Not just as a weight loss program but as a way of life. It felt so easy. Then, here comes freestyle... worst program ever! I'm sure it's wonderful for people who eat the 0 point foods, I don't! For me all that happened was I lost 7 points a day and the motivation to continue because I keep having health problems from not eating enough. I can't understand why we weren't given the option to stick with what we were doing. AND to introduce the new program right at the holidays! Come on guys, think a little.

Weight Watchers response

We sincerely apologize for any concern this has caused you, Angela. We certainly do not want you to feel you cannot be successful on Freestyle. A member of our Resolution Team will be reaching out to you shortly. We look forward to discussing this further with you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I joined Weight Watchers on Oct 23. I was loving the program, was successful, and happy. Asked for lots of cooking items for Christmas. Found lots of motivation and purpose in life - great experience. Freestyle was then introduced, and I was excited and confident. Until day 2, when I was hungry, had a headache, was constipated, nauseous, and low energy. Continued day 3-14, all of those symptoms. Research online shows that’s a common constellation of problems with too much protein and not enough fat.

I’ve posted on connect, tried to chat... Everybody tells me to just make freestyle work. It has made me physically ill - what am I supposed to do to make weight watchers work for me? You took away a successful program, made me sick, and offered no hope or suggestions how I can be successful again. And the sad part is that you know my symptoms are common and you didn’t plan for it...so I’d love some help. I’m not a negative person and I understand science, but you aren't giving me help or guidance on how to make this new program work.

Weight Watchers response

We sincerely apologize for your experience, Nancy. We take our member concerns very seriously and we would love the opportunity to speak with you. Someone from our Resolution Team will reach out to you privately. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Weight Watchers is the only program I've successfully lost weight and kept it off. It's not a diet. They help you live a better and healthier life. I joined the meetings program in May 2015 and hit lifetime in April 2017. I plan to continue with this program in order to maintain the 25lb weight loss I've attained. I would recommend this to any friend that wants to lose and maintain weight loss.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We have a great coach at our meetings!! She encourages us to do our best. I truly enjoy our meetings every Saturday morning. I'm losing weight & feeling optimistic about my health & future. My blood pressure is still running high but I'm hoping by losing more weight that will get better.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Bait and switch. I sign up with the program 3 month subscription that includes a start up kit. I receive an email confirmation that my start up kit will arrive in 10-14 days. A month later no kit. I send an email wondering where it is. I get a response saying because I live in AZ I am not eligible. Really?! Totally disappointing.

Weight Watchers response

We appreciate the opportunity to address your experience, Judi. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. A member of our Resolution Team will reach out to you shortly. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

As a wife, mother of 2, graduate student, full-time employee, and vegetarian, I was looking for a plan flexible enough to fit my lifestyle and Weight Watchers was that plan. I’ve had a number of struggles, but in the meeting room, I am never judged. My group is always supportive of me, which keeps me from quitting. This is truly THE BEST program I have ever done and I look forward to meeting my goals and becoming a Lifetime member in the future!!!

Weight Watchers response

We are so happy to hear you are enjoying Freestyle and your meetings! Thank you for being a dedicated Weight Watchers member and best of luck on your weight loss journey!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

While very handy, the app does not work all the time. It frequently is not available which is not helpful at all. Often things don’t work when you click to use a feature, saying you have applied too many filters when not have been used.

Weight Watchers response

We're so sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your app, Elizabeth! Please uninstall and reinstall the app from your mobile device and also make sure you have the most recent software update installed on your device. Please let us know if you continue to have problems and we will send you a Private Response to help resolve this problem. We're here to help!

Weight Watchers Resolution Team

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have been very happy with the program. I was unable to lose any weight with simple calorie counting. Now on Weight Watchers, I am watching the weight fall right off. I find that being accountable by going to meetings and tracking everything, including zero points foods, is the way to success for me. Absolutely amazing. My only hope is that you start a program for teens. My daughter is almost 14 and has struggled with her weight her entire life. I believe that if she could connect with other teens at meetings and online with WW connect, she could also be inspired to make healthier choices.

We have a difficult life situation because of my work schedule. I am a registered nurse and I am unable to switch my shift, I am currently 2nd shift. So my daughter is at my mother's more than she is home. Unfortunately, my mother doesn't keep the healthiest foods at her house and does not care about healthy portions. Please consider starting a program for teens. I know that so many young people would benefit from it!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

The new program is easier to follow! I like that it focuses more on healthy eating - not just on keeping track of points! The only downfall (& it might change now), grocery stores near us only carry the frozen meals - they used to carry snacks.

Weight Watchers response
Jacque, we’re delighted to read your feedback about Freestyle!! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the

perfect journey for each customer!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Needed help with app. I was prepared to have the usual, frustrating, difficult, and no answer to my problem. However, my experience was phenomenal. Cyndell was kind, patient, and successful in helping me. I have never received such good help from a telephone request. She is a special person. My gratitude is unmeasurable.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Weight Watchers gives you more than weight loss, it gives you your life back, your self esteem back, your control back. These days we all seem so out of control but it's only a matter of getting introduced to the program. It has all the things I love, 1)Weight Loss, I'm at 1/2 pound a week for 32 weeks so far. 2) Control of my life, 3) for the first time in a long time my stomach tells me when it's time to eat, I just don't keep feeding it when I'm full. I could go on, but I'm in love. Still getting my head around the FreeStyle but I'm sure it will work. I just keep counting points.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

About five years ago, I lost 25 lbs on Weight Watchers. I have maintained that loss pretty well, but I gained about 5 lbs this fall, and wanted to stop the upward trend. I decided to return to Weight Watchers... I really like the Freestyle Program. It makes tracking easier... I'm heading in the right direction and I am never hungry!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

WW online needs a tutorial for new customers. As it stands now, a new user has no idea what to do with the app other than maybe track their meals. I’ve learned most of what I know from other users who have figured things out. I had to use the help chat just yesterday because I had “saved” a couple of meals & had no idea where to find after I saved them. WW break down & send online customers some literature on the program too.

Weight Watchers response

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We will forward your comments on to the appropriate team for review and consideration. We appreciate you as a dedicated Weight Watchers member.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have lost almost 12 pounds in 5 weeks. At times it has been a struggle but I am trying very hard to stay within my daily points. Sometimes it is hard to find points on foods when you eat out because the range for a particular food is so broad. For example, I typed in turkey burger restaurant and the points went from 6 up to 25+. Even though I asked the waitress what was on the burger I still couldn’t find anything comparable.

Weight Watchers expert review by JJ Virgin

Founded 50 years ago, Weight Watchers has evolved from solely a group-meeting weight loss program to strategic plans for different demographics and an online option. Weight Watchers assists members in losing weight by forming helpful habits, eating smarter, getting more exercise and providing support. Consumers looking for a budget-friendly option can simply purchase Weight Watchers brand food products at their grocery store or mass retailer and follow the plan's basic diet, which is available online. Those who want more support can join the program, which offers individuals plans including options like a smartphone-based app for tracking food and activities, in-person weekly support meetings, online community support and one-on-one coaching via text messaging or telephone.

• Buddy system: Studies show people who pair up with like-minded groups or friends attain better fat loss (and keep it off better) than those who go it alone. For anyone who needs group support – either in person or online – Weight Watcher is top notch.

• Digital tools: High-tech apps and digital tools increase compliance and accountability, and make it easier for you to track your progress and stay motivated. Tech-savvy folks will find these valuable and even enjoyable.

• Flexibility: The program allows flexibility to eat real food, allows people to maintain their social lives, and makes losing weight easy even with the busiest schedule without deprivation. Since no food is forbidden, you simply modify portion sizes to fit their PointsPlus® system.

• Food philosophy: Weight Watchers is designed to be a lifestyle approach to food, so no foods are considered off limits. While this philosophy could become a slippery slope for people who have problems with cravings for certain unhealthy foods, it can also help by encouraging moderation and accountability for food choices.

• Flexibility: Weight Watchers assigns "points" values for every food and helps you set a goal for how many points you should consume daily. This system means you can make low-point choices throughout the day in preparation for a special meal or event instead of having to forgo the extra calories because of your diet.

• Best for: new moms, college students, busy adults, teens, older men, older women and former athletes.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
JJ Virgin

Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Weight Watchers Company Information

www.weightwatchers.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use