Best Storage Units in San Diego, CA
With the rising cost of housing in San Diego, a storage unit is an affordable option for those who need some extra space. When choosing a self storage company in San Diego, it’s essential to find one that’s easily accessible and keeps your possessions secure.
Top 10 San Diego Self Storage Companies
|A-1 Self Storage San Diego||Read Expert Review|
Located near MCRD and San Diego airport. Vehicle storage at some locations, including near the airport. Provides monthly professional pest control.
|A-Aardvark Self Storage||Read Expert Review|
Centrally located in central San Diego County. Secured by a parameter gate, surveillance cameras and an on-site manager. Offers military discounts.
|All American Self Storage||Read Expert Review|
Provides rental discount for the first month and free truck and driver. Offers drive-up and indoor units. 24-hour video surveillance and electronic gate access. Senior, student and military discounts available.
|Price Self Storage||Read Expert Review|
Provides free use of truck and driver for move-in. Concierge service available. Operates San Diego’s only drive-in storage facility at Morena Boulevard location.
|San Diego Self Storage||Read Expert Review|
Voted San Diego’s Best by Union-Tribune poll 2015-2018. Provides free move-in truck with driver. Offers a protection plan with no deductible. One-year price guarantee. Senior, military, first responder and student discounts.
|Sparefoot San Diego||Read Expert Review|
Allows you to compare San Diego storage units in one location. Provides side-by-side comparison of available units. Reserve units for no charge.
|Storage Etc.||Read Expert Review|
Provides free use of truck with storage rental. Offers climate-controlled units. Secured by 24-hour video recording. Convenient to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. Military discounts available.
|Storage West San Diego||Read Expert Review|
Provides free moving truck in certain locations. Offers discounts for military, fire and police personnel. Upgraded service package available with added insurance and free moving boxes. Rents climate-controlled units.
|Store 'em Self Storage||Read Expert Review|
Rents storage units starting at $33 for 3’ x 4’ (internet special for Imperial Beach location). Offers senior, student and military discounts. Provides discounted rates for property management companies.
|U-Stor-It Self Storage||Read Expert Review|
Rents climate-controlled, interior storage units in a newly constructed facility. Offers vehicle storage and packing supplies on-site. Provides 24/7 video surveillance and coded access.
How much does a storage unit cost in San Diego?
Storage unit costs in San Diego vary by location, company and other factors, but you can expect a 5' x 5' storage unit to cost about $70 a month.
|Size in feet||Monthly cost|
|3' x 3'||$49|
|5' x 5'||$70|
|5' x 10'||$125|
|10' x 10'||$165|
|10' x 20'||$300|
|20' x 20'||$450|
Various other factors affect the cost of storage units in San Diego, including:
- Neighborhood: Storage facilities with convenient locations in highly populated areas tend to be more expensive. Units in Spring Valley and El Cajon rent for a few dollars less than Downtown, while facilities in Sorrento Valley and Solana Beach charge more.
- Size: The larger a storage unit, the higher the rental cost.
- Location within the facility: Storage companies charge more for easily accessible units. Units located on the ground floor of a multi-story facility typically cost more than units on upper floors.
- Purchase method: Renting units online can sometimes lower the price. Some companies also offer discounts for setting up an autopay option with a credit or debit card.
- Discounts: Look for promotional offers that provide a free or discounted first month. San Diego customers should also ask about college and military discounts.
- Additional fees: Other fees that might apply to storage unit rental include administrative fees, lock fees, security deposits and late fees. Be aware of the possibility of rent increases if you’re leasing your unit on a month-to-month basis.
Your homeowners or renters insurance policy may cover your stored possessions — check your policy or ask your insurance provider. If you need to purchase insurance for your storage unit, the facility you rent from may provide options or be able to direct you to an insurance company. Insurance rates for storage units typically range from $6 to $24 a month, depending on the value of the stored items.
How to choose a self storage company in San Diego
It’s best to take some time and weigh the various options before you when choosing a San Diego storage unit company. There are several factors to consider when deciding which self storage company to select in San Diego.
- Interior or exterior units: While exterior storage units are not usually climate-controlled, they typically have drive-up access that makes it easier to unload and load bulky items. Interior storage facilities provide extra protection from pests or rodents and often offer climate control, but you might have to take an elevator or stairs to access your unit.
- Climate control: San Diego’s inland temperatures regularly climb to more than 80 degrees, which can damage heat-sensitive items. A climate-controlled unit helps protect possessions like art, antiques, papers, records and books.
- Security features: Some facilities offer enhanced security features to help protect your possessions, including 24-hour video monitoring, lighting in hallways or outdoor areas, on-site managers, fencing, tamper-proof locks and keypad access.
- Additional amenities: Many storage facilities in San Diego offer amenities to make moving easier and enhance security. Digital self-service kiosks make check-in and bill paying simpler and provide 24/7 service. Some facilities also have vehicle and boat storage available.
- Contract options: Month-to-month rentals are typical for storage units, and most facilities do not require long-term commitments. Some companies offer a discount for signing a long-term contract, however.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
San Diego self storage company information
SpareFoot allows customers to compare more than 100 San Diego storage unit facilities on one website. View prices, sizes, location, phone number, unit availability and exclusive offers. Customers can input their zip code to find available storage. Filter facility lists for amenities such as AAA discounts, 24/7 access and climate control. Reserve online for free.
- Service areas: San Diego
- Address: Serves San Diego residents
- Phone number: (844) 226-6039
- Hours of operation: Call for hours
A-Aardvark Self Storage offers interior-access units with 8-foot ceilings. Amenities include security cameras, 24-hour on-site manager, 24/7 access and regular maintenance. Discounts are available for long-term prepaid accounts, seniors and military. 5' x 5' units start at $66 per month. No long term contract required.
- Service areas: San Diego (Kearny Mesa)
- Address: 4490 Murphy Canyon Road, San Diego, CA 92123
- Phone number: (858) 569-1890
- Hours of operation: Mon - Sat: 9am - 6pm
Storage Etc. is close to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot and offers military discounts. No deposit is required, and Storage Etc. offers month-to-month rentals. Climate-controlled units are available. Carts for move-in and move-out are also available, and the business offers free use of a company truck when you rent a unit. Customers can purchase packing and moving supplies on-site. Entry is controlled by keypad with seven-day access. Small unit rental starts at $75 per month. Online bill payment is available.
- Service areas: MCRD, Downtown San Diego, San Diego International Airport
- Address: 2150 Hancock St., San Diego, CA 92110
- Phone number: (619) 736-9921
- Hours of operation: Sun - Fri: 9:30am - 6pm; Sat: 8:30am - 5pm
All American Self Storage's units are located underground. The facility location is convenient for San Diego State students. The company has large elevators and free carts for assistance with moving. Packing supplies are available for purchase on-site. Safety features include 24/7 video monitoring and electronic gate access. Prices start at $104 per month for a 5' x 5' unit. No deposit is required.
- Service areas: La Mesa, Rolando, Lemon Grove, Mission Valley, El Cerrito, Oak Park and San Diego State University
- Address: 6225 El Cajon Blvd., San Diego, CA 92115
- Phone number: (619) 287-5300
- Hours of operation: Mon - Sat: 8am - 7pm; Sun: 9am - 6pm
U-Stor-It offers climate-controlled units starting at $69 for a 5' x 5' space. Ask about one month free. The facility also offers truck rental to help you move. You can choose drive-up, drive-in or drive-thru access. There are free carts and dollies available, and the company sells packing materials. The area is fenced and gated and has 24-hour video surveillance and an on-site manager. Military, senior and student discounts are available.
- Service areas: Southeast San Diego
- Address: 930 S 47th St., San Diego, CA 92113
- Phone number: (619) 431-3765
- Hours of operation: Mon - Sat: 9:30am - 12:30pm, 1pm - 6pm; Sun: 9:30am - 5pm
StorageWest offers several locations throughout North County. Auto, RV and boat storage are available at specific locations, including La Jolla. The company provides free moving trucks at some locations. StorageWest's "Here for You" guarantee is an upgrade to its basic service and includes three free moving boxes, double miles on a moving truck, online rental and reimbursement protection. Ask about discounts for military, fire and police personnel. Small unit rental starts at $58 per month.
- Service areas: Northern San Diego County
- Address: 7350 Princess View Drive, San Diego, CA 92120
- Phone number: (619) 287-3650
- Hours of operation: Mon - Sat: 9am - 6pm
A-1 Self Storage offers locations convenient to San Diego airport and Marine Corps Recruit Depot. Climate-controlled units are available at several San Diego locations. Security features include 24-hour digital surveillance, gates, lights, personal access code and door alarms on some units. There are online payment options and month-to-month rentals with no deposit required. There is monthly professional pest control at all facilities. A-1 is a member of the California Self Storage Association. Small units start at $68 per month.
- Service areas: San Diego
- Address: 2235 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101; multiple locations
- Phone number: (619) 450-2417
- Hours of operation: Mon - Fri: 8am - 6pm; Sat - Sun: 8am - 5pm
San Diego Self Storage has 20 facilities throughout the county, including near Otay crossing, San Marcos and Sorrento Valley. Ask about discounts for military, seniors, students and first responders. Climate-controlled units are available at many of the facilities. The company offers a first-year price guarantee. There is 24-hour video monitoring and an on-site manager at many locations. The facilities are designed to accommodate commercial moving trucks. Some locations offer RV and boat storage.
- Service areas: San Diego County, North County, South Bay, East County, Central San Diego and South Riverside County
- Address: 10531 Sorrento Valley Road, Ste. A, San Diego, CA 92121
- Phone number: (800) 615-5016
- Hours of operation: Mon - Sat: 8am - 6pm; Sun: 8am - 4pm
Store ‘em Self Storage has several locations throughout San Diego County. The company has some of San Diego’s lowest rates for storage, starting at $33 for a 3' x 4' unit at the Imperial Beach location. They offer senior, student and military discounts. Property managers can partner with Store ‘em to offer discounts to tenants. Climate-controlled units are available. The company is a member of the Self Storage Association.
- Service areas: Pacific Beach, Imperial Beach, Rancho Cucamonga, San Marcos, National City, Old Town, Vista, Chula Vista and Carlsbad
- Address: 4595 Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109
- Phone Number: (858) 273-1717
- Hours of operation: Mon - Sun: 9am - 7pm
Price Self Storage offers San Diego’s only drive-in self storage facility at the Morena Boulevard location. A truck and driver is provided for new clients at move-in. Facilities are fenced, lighted and watched by security cameras. The facility offers climate-controlled units and vehicle storage. Price also offers wine storage. Free concierge service is available to help you determine how much space and what type of unit you need. Other amenities include electronic gate access, security cameras and individual alarms on select units. No deposit required. Rent starts at $74 for a 5' x 5' unit.
- Service areas: Central San Diego, Santee, Pacific Beach, Solana Beach and La Jolla
- Address: 3951 Murphy Canyon Road, San Diego, CA 92123
- Phone Number: (858) 560-1123
- Hours of operation: Mon - Sun: 8am - 6:30pm
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!