4.28/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Jitterbug Smart

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. A new, 35% bigger screen makes it even easier to stay connected. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Jitterbug Smart Video
Jitterbug Smart Gallery (6)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

672 Jitterbug Smart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I got a Jitterbug after I talked to some other people who had one and were very satisfied with it. The only problem I have with my Jitterbug is that the battery goes down real quick so I called their customer service reps. They talked very good to me and gave me some ideas on what to do with charging my batteries.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I bought Jitterbug Touch because it was supposed to be easy to use for someone my age. I had a real simple one -- a little flip phone. It's an alright phone but it's more than what I needed and I've got a different phone now.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Jitterbug Smart is simpler for older people like myself who is not educated into it. It’s very easy for us to use. My husband has a different phone and Jitterbug has the same features. I’ve had Jitterbug Touch for over a year but I can’t use it everyday because we don’t have a tower in our area. I have to go into town to use it a lot. I spoke to a representative three weeks ago since I lost my card that they had on file, and it went very well. He took care of it right there and it was straightened out.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have bought three phones over the years....each time they promise new and improved with better battery. And better reception etc etc etc. Each time is worse and worse and worse. I put a hammer to them each time and throw in the trash. Do not fall for this product. Do not waste your money like me.

Jitterbug Smart response

Fresca, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. The GreatCall network is powered by the nation’s largest and most dependable wireless network. If the signal in your area is fair or poor, the battery will work harder to keep the signal and may require more charging time. Although the Jitterbug Smart should be charged in 90 minutes, you can charge your phone overnight as you cannot over charge it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I had broken my other phone and I needed to get one in the meantime. I enjoy using my Jitterbug as a second phone at this time and it’s nice to have a larger phone because I can see things. However, I couldn’t carry the Jitterbug in my pocket, so I have another flip phone which I prefer because I can carry it in my pocket. I’m not dissatisfied with my Jitterbug at all. It’s nice to have it along in case I lose my little one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My father is old and I needed a simple and easy cell phone for him to use. He had a previous phone from a different provider but the Jitterbug phone is a little easier for him to use. He’s starting to get too old to even use the Jitterbug and he’s starting to get confused by that one, too, but it’s user-friendly. My interactions with the reps have been really good, and they’re very informative and helpful. Sometimes, the line gets busy and you have to wait, but that’s with every company. My dad went over his minutes and his bill increased that I wish that there was some kind of alert in place. Actually, there was and they didn’t notify me, so I was a little bummed about that. I know another older lady who had the same situation happen to her. Her bill ended up quadrupling and she didn’t realize that that was going to happen. For old people on a fixed income, that’s a real chunk of money. But overall, I think Jitterbug Smart is the best company for older people.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

My daughters were the ones that had all the information about Jitterbug and were the ones that set me up with it. I have a landline that I use all the time but with the Jitterbug, I have it in my purse and by my bedside. I use my Jitterbug very seldom but I really like it. So far, I'm happy and I highly recommend them to anybody who's interested in a cellphone, especially at my age.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I read about Jitterbug Touch from the AARP magazine and it said it costs $17 but it turned out to be $35. I tried Consumer Cellular before but it's harder to use, and when you called to ask for information, they got somebody from who-knows-where that could hardly speak English. I've never called anybody on the Jitterbug Touch but I read the book and tried to do what it said. There's nothing that needs changing, and I just need to read some more and do a little more investigating.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

My wife kept harping at me to get a cell phone but I didn’t want to get one of them expensive, fancy ones. I’m not really an electronic-type of person but my wife knows how to put the peoples' names in my Jitterbug and all I do is use it for a phone. Having it is more convenient because if I go to town and forget something, I can call my wife.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

My kids thought I needed to get rid of my flip phone so I got the Jitterbug Touch but it's harder to use. I'm 84 years old and I'm not one that is going to be on the internet because I don't care about all that stuff. I just want to make and answer calls. My husband has Parkinson's and we're both pretty confined to home. I have help that comes in five days a week and I get out some. I don't go anywhere but to Walmart and here in Murray so I'm not concerned about getting stranded. But Jitterbug has been fine overall.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I looked at the Jitterbug Touch on a Sunday paper, and it said that you can hear real good with it because it's got a special hearing and large keys if you can't see. I can't hear or see, so it's perfect for me. I love the phone, its service and everything about it. I've watched the videos to learn how to use it and I've had nothing but good experience from the team. However, I drop calls if I’m in the house and I have to do them outside. And that only happens here but if I were anywhere else, I don’t drop calls. I don’t know if it’s just a lousy cell signal. Other than that, it is a great phone and I’ve never been happier. It’s just perfect. I never had a better phone.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I was in an accident and had another phone. The numbers were so small that I couldn’t even see to dial 911. Also, our eyesight's starting to get a little weaker so we needed something with big numbers, and we got a Jitterbug Touch. I rarely use it, but it's nice to have in case I need it. It’s 100% better than the previous one. It’s a much better service than I had before and a lot of better customer service out of any people that I've asked for help. Plus a cheap phone is better. I love my Jitterbug Touch. It’s really exceptional.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

We just started using Jitterbug Touch. My wife lost it and we found it the other day so she's going to use it. However, she doesn’t talk very much and 200 minutes is plenty of minutes. We had a different cellphone before it and this is really good in comparison. The phone is living up to its advertisement.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I had a phone that's too complicated so I looked for another phone then I talked to somebody who had a Jitterbug. I figured I might as well get one and I did. I got the Jitterbug Touch and I don't use it often but when I do, it works good. I put it in my carrier and carry it on my belt. That way, I don’t lose it. The Jitterbug is a smartphone for dumb people. It's easy to use and convenient. I live in a gated community and since people have seen me use mine, they have also signed up and bought from Jitterbug. The Jitterbug team has been fantastic too. They did a good job and made the process easy.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I needed a cellphone that was a little bit larger in size and I purchased a Jitterbug Touch. The toughest thing about the phone is its marketing strategy. For a while, I couldn't find any place that had it. Walmart and Sears didn't know what I was talking about. Then one day, I was at Best Buy and I saw a Jitterbug phone on the rack. It was an item like a USB cord that didn’t do much for the store's bottom line and the guys didn’t do anything about them. Instead, they try to sell products like Samsung or things that have more features which I'm not really into. I like things to last and are easy to use. I also like something that is useful in my daily life and don’t cost a whole lot.

A person who has Jitterbug is not a computer-oriented person and that is the market for it. Selling a Jitterbug to people who want a computer in their hands is a waste of time because the Jitterbug doesn't do everything they want to do. But for me, the Jitterbug works and I take it with me when I go on trips. But it is harder to figure out compared to my other phones. While I can dial out good, I don’t know how to answer and I can’t figure out how to get it to ring. Everything is nice, though, and the buttons are large so I don’t need to put on my reading glasses to use it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I'm 93 years old and I don't have the knowledge other people have and Jitterbug made it a lot easier for me. I love the phone. I enjoyed but I like to have a little smaller phone if possible because it's a little larger than the ordinary one that people carry around. It's hard for me to carry in my pocket and I'm always afraid of losing it. But it's so much better than my old phone. It's easier to look up things.

You have all your information right on the front. It's just a quick phone. Not only that it's easier to text, it's easier all the way around for seniors. When I travel to a hospital or for an appointment it's a lot easier to call somebody. GreatCall also has that red button in case of emergency. All you have to do is push it and some qualified agent will come to your assistance. I would recommend Jitterbug. It's one of the greatest.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

We had a little flip phone from T-Mobile and it worked fine but it was hard to use and it’s hard to see the numbers. It was so tiny that it really was a nuisance. Then I saw Jitterbug Touch advertised in AARP and it looked like a good deal. It’s easy to use with big numbers and a big screen, and it was cheap enough at $20 or $70 a month. We ordered it and got it, and away we went. The Jitterbug’s better than the old one but I’m not a techie guy and I don’t use it any more than I did with the flip phone.

The Jitterbug Touch is fine for what it does and I don’t regret buying it. I don’t call in for service or problems, so I have nothing but good to say, and I’m happy. I should use it more but I don’t know if I ever will. It’s just sitting around and we can use it whenever we want to but it’s a nuisance to remember to take it along and we just don’t have any need for it. We’re not big cell phone users. We’ve lived this long without a cell phone and we could probably live another 100 years without one.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My previous phone had small letters and I had a hard time seeing them. I wanted a phone that had big numbers on it and Jitterbug has those for older people. When we bought my Jitterbug Touch, my daughter was with me but I got sick to my stomach when we were talking to the reps so she took care of it. She works two jobs and she really doesn't have much time to tell me how to use it. When she does, it's so fast that I forget what she said. The Jitterbug is a little expensive and it wasn’t the best that I thought it was. If I make the call or if somebody calls me, I have to pay and I can't afford that.

I go out to the doctor quite a bit and I use a ride to go where they pick you up and when you're done, you call them and you wait until they come to take you back home. I have to have a phone to do that or I have to ask the doctor's nurse to do it for me. The Jitterbug Touch could let me do those things myself and not have to bother others and I like that. But I'm 92 years old and I'm not a big phone person. My kids are out of town and they’re the ones who call me. I'm very satisfied with what I have used the Jitterbug for, which has been very little, but I have it for about a year and I don't even know how to turn it on.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Most phones that I've had had such tiny figures that I can't touch them. I've had a cellphone since 1985 and the best phone I ever had was a Motorola TAC 3000. It had better reception and it had numbers that I could press individually. It also had very good sound quality. Compared to that, my Jitterbug Touch has big numbers on it. It is easy to read and easy to control. It does not have good sound quality but has a lot more applications than they had back in 1985. Most apps weren't even available back then. I use the Jitterbug to make and receive calls. I also use several applications on it and for information on Google.

It would be easier, though, if the buttons were concentrated so the rest of the phone was easy to hold on to instead of being so sensitive that I can't even pass it to somebody without changing the screen. As for the Jitterbug customer service team, they've been fairly knowledgeable in providing information about what's wrong. More so than other systems.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I first saw the Jitterbug Touch phone in the AARP book and the price made me buy it. The advertisement said it was easy to use but when I received it I found out it was not. I'm still trying to learn how to use all the apps, set up my voice mail and answer all my calls. The biggest problem I have with this phone was receiving my messages and that's why I need to talk to someone regarding that. But I like it and I would recommend it to my friends because it has large letters. I wouldn't change to another phone because I can just find out how to operate this one.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I'm a person who doesn't use my phone that much except to call if I'm stranded on the road. I had a track phone that would be able to get help if the car broke down. But there were restrictions in certain places like no power or no reception. I'm 82 years old and even as I grow older I'd like to be active. I walk a mile or two a day sometimes on wooded road. I like nature so I'm walking places where there isn’t a lot of people around and my daughter didn't like that I couldn't reach somebody. Jitterbug Touch had a medical help system and that’s the reason she bought it for me. She feels better and I am not afraid to go for a walk because I know I can push the 5star and get help. I feel more confident on what I'm doing and I'm not afraid to go out alone.

My daughter spoke with the customer service and had it set up for me before I got it. I really don't want email or a lot about the things I'm not up to. I get enough of the calls on my regular phone from people soliciting things and I don't want it on my Jitterbug. I don't have a lot of apps. I basically want to be able to call, to text if I wanted to do that and get help when I needed.

The phone is easy to use except that some icons are a bit confusing but my daughter helps me. And I like that it has a bigger screen, unlike the regular phones that the screens are too small for older people. It’s a little bigger that sometimes I had to carry a pouch because it’s too big to fit my pants pocket. I have arthritis in my hands so it’s convenient for me to be able to push the buttons to call. I’d recommend Jitterbug and in fact my sister has one.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I’ve been one of Jitterbug's clients for many years. I used to have an old phone and it's little one that didn’t have too many things. I used to use it to call my friends or when I am in my car that I need to stop and to call. But I heard about Uber and they told me that I cannot call Uber on my phone. So I got in touch with the company and now I have the new phone that they have. It's very nice but the problem is, I am 79 years old, I have been retired for over 10 years and I don’t know how to operate that phone. I am spending money monthly on a phone that I hardly use and I am debating whether I should return the phone and get the old-fashioned one or I should keep it. But I am over ashamed when my friends realized that I don’t know how to use that phone.

Some of them teach me what to do and tried to help me with taking pictures with the phone and putting the sound higher. I hear them, but once they leave and the next day comes, I don’t remember half of what they said. Unfortunately, that is also due to age. I also read the book but when I look at the phone, there are so many little things on top. It’s my fault though. I should take more time to sit down and play with it. Some of my friends say that I have to learn this way, but I am really bad at it.

I am afraid there’s something wrong with me. My cleaning lady spends time talking on the phone. She knows how to operate that phone and me, I’m a big zero. I have the Senior Center in Santa Monica. I should start to inquire and that's what I’m going to do next. I promise that I will do some things. I have to find a person who is willing to teach me and I will pay high, minimum wage, $15 or $20 an hour. I have to learn how to operate that little phone since this is the future. Then I will change to a larger version of the phone so I can see things better after I learn how to use the smaller one.

Jitterbug Smart response

Huguette, thank you for the review. Did you know that there are many how to videos that can be viewed on our website, www.greatcall.com. Click on Product Support and you will find them listed under your model phone. Additionally, if you call GreatCall Customer Service, 1800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 7pm Pacific Time, Monday-Saturday, from another phone, we can assist you.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I’m in my 80s and I asked for a Jitterbug Touch phone as a Christmas present. The smartphone was a little complicated at first and I wanted my flip phone back. But my son-in-law helped me and I’m getting used to it now. I really like it. The customer service have all been very helpful. I had one problem when I added an app. I was over at my daughter’s house and used the app but I didn’t realize that if I used it without my Wi-Fi, I was in trouble as it used up all my minutes and they cost me a little. Customer service helped me with that and it was all straightened out. I don't have to worry about it anymore. Overall, I enjoy having the Jitterbug.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I ordered my Jitterbug Smart through Sears. I was ordering the smartphone but they sent Jitterbug instead so I re-ordered and got the smartphone. I like the smartphone better. It is bigger and better compared to my previous cellphone. I got it for emergencies. I use it if I take it in the car with me and I have trouble with my car. I also told my niece about it and they got one. It's a good phone.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

It seemed that all of my friends had a Jitterbug so I purchased one for myself. I would highly recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I wanted to upgrade my phone so I got a Jitterbug Smart. Compared to my old phone, this phone has a lot more applications to use and I get more information other than just the telephone. I'm just trying to learn how to use it and I'm not that savvy. Nevertheless, I've had a pleasant experience overall with Jitterbug and I'd recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I wanted something simple and I didn't want to get a fancy phone because I don't need one. I had a flip phone where I could never find the text feature and the pictures. Compared to that, it's easier to find things on the Jitterbug Touch and I really love it. My kids sometimes text me on it. They want me to keep in touch and keep the phone with me for safety. I also got CNN on it and now I have something else to do when I'm out like if I forget a book. I would recommend it because it's easy to see the buttons and everything on it. Plus, it's not difficult to use the camera and I've taken more pictures with it. I've only had it this summer and I know I'll get more into it as I use it.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I get the AARP magazine and saw the Jitterbug Touch advertised in there. I had another smart phone which was very difficult to use, and I like the Jitterbug better. I occasionally text and I find that to be easy. However, I set up my email on it and I get a lot of spam emails which are a pain in the neck. I found that I can’t delete them on the Jitterbug. They just keep coming back. I was told that I should call the help desk but the last time I called, I was on hold for such a long time that I finally gave up. I have now taken the email off of the phone but I can't get the old email messages off of there. Overall, Jitterbug is easier to use compared to other smart phones and it has everything that I need.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I got the Jitterbug Touch mainly because of its reasonable price but it is making me dumber than a rock. I had a flip phone before and I'm thinking of going back. There’s so much about Jitterbug Touch that I don’t know and can’t comprehend. I love it as far as pictures I got but it’s big and bulky and I can’t keep it in my pocket. It’s a wonderful phone if you know how to take advantage of all the programs that are in it. I’d recommend it to a younger person who knows high tech stuff because older people need something more simple.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

My husband and I had other contracts with other providers but every time I turned around there was another fee and what I was paying AT&T was absolutely ridiculous. Plus, half the time I never had any cell service. When my husband’s phone went, he got a Jitterbug flip phone. He is old school and he likes the old-fashioned flip phone because he doesn't text, though he's learnt how to take pictures.

So I called GreatCall to get the Jitterbug touch phone through them. Their customer service team was absolutely fantastic. They didn't rush me and talked slow because I have two hearing aids. They explained everything, were nice and were not like all other salespeople when as soon as you will get their product, the price goes up and up. I also like the fact that there's no contract and the price was a third of the cost I used to pay. It's for older people and it works easier too. My phone came already programmed and I don’t have those annoying phone calls I used to get on my other phone from everybody else trying to reach the person who had my number before.

I'm fairly happy with my Jitterbug. A lot of times I'm working and I can't answer a phone call but my daughter and I text a lot. She lives in Georgia and this is how we keep in touch. However when we text, the letters come up a bit small and it would be a little better for me if where I got to push the letters with that square would be a smidge bigger. For us old people with arthritis, our fingers don't work right. The flip phone has the keypad with larger numbers and that's what my husband likes about it. As for me, I like that it's almost like having a medic alert device but he has it right on his cellphone. It's got the button and all he has to do is crush it.

The Jitterbug people told me that I could have an email with so many megabytes and I could have data. They also told me they would help me if I had any questions but I've never had the time to sit down and call them about getting pictures on my phone. When I first got it, I didn't realize that I was going to have to have data to even receive or send a picture and that kind of floored me. I'm very cheap and I was trying to cut back at the time so when something came up about data, I thought it would increase my bill so I may have pushed the wrong thing and deleted it. But that’s my fault. I have recommended Jitterbug to an elderly friend because she's never had a cellphone, and I told her she wouldn't have to worry about a contract with them.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information