Call toll free
4.00/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart2 is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart2 has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart2 into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart2 phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Jitterbug Smart2 Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart is a smartphone device that quickly summons help during emergencies. It's not waterproof, but customers can keep their existing phone number and don't have to sign a long-term contract.

PROS

• Customer service is 100% US-based
  • Cell service is powered by Verizon cellular network
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Not waterproof
  • No fall detection

Top Jitterbug Smart Reviews

I am a senior citizen and I wanted to go to a smartphone so I got a Jitterbug phone. I enjoy using it and I have the less expensive program I can have. I like Jitterbug very much and would recommend it to someone else.

I've heard that Jitterbug Smart is really good and simple, and I tried it out because I have never gotten one of these things before. I love what I can do so far and I know there's so much more that I can do with it. I'm 72 and it's easy to read the big screen…

What is Jitterbug Smart?

The Jitterbug Smart is a simple smartphone designed with interactive emergency solutions for active aging adults. The Jitterbug Smart comes with a large, intuitive display that is easy to use. It also has a long-lasting battery and a powerful speaker that helps deliver sound clarity. Integrated with every smartphone is GreatCall’s 5Star app — a service that immediately connects you with trained personnel to assist in an emergency.

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart health and safety packages include text and talk time, a personal operator, caregiver access to wellness information and two-way communication to trained emergency agents. Jitterbug Smart smartphones use the Verizon wireless network and can be activated on GreatCall's website or through their customer support.

Jitterbug Smart devices

Jitterbug Smart smartphones have a simple navigation menu that is accessible when you power up or unlock your device. Both phones in the GreatCall Jitterbug suite are lightweight and easy to use.

• Jitterbug Smart: Jitterbug Smartphones have a powerful speakerphone, long-lasting battery and bright, easy-to-read screens. Jitterbug Smart specs also include a flash camera, GPS, 8GB of storage capacity and Bluetooth capability. Through a Jitterbug Smart Health and Safety package, you get 5Star service, urgent care, GreatCall Link, plus services like The Wellness Call, MedCoach and Daily Health Tips.
  • Jitterbug Smart2: The Jitterbug Smart2 has an easy-to-use navigation menu with a 5.5-inch color display, front-facing speakerphone, access to the Internet, GPS and voice typing capabilities. It includes a 13MP camera and has 16GB of storage to help capture and keep precious moments. The phone's usage meter tracks minutes and data to monitor for any overages. Jitterbug Smart 2 Health and Safety packages come with all the same services as the Jitterbug Smart.

Jitterbug Smartphone apps and services

GreatCall provides all of its Jitterbug Smartphones with health and safety packages that include the 5Star Urgent Response Service. Additional apps and services may include:

• Urgent Care: Included in some health and safety packages, Urgent Care service and its companion app sends personalized advice from doctors and nurses. If needed, health professionals can give you prescriptions over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: GreatCall link is included in any Health and Safety package, and allows caregivers to stay informed about your health and safety at a glance.
  • GreatCall Rides: Lift has teamed up with GreatCall to offer GreatCall Rides for any phones using a Health and Safety package. Simply dialing “0” will get you in touch with an operator who will book a ride for you.
  • Brain Games: Specially designed to keep aging brains fit, the free Brain Games app comes preloaded on your Jitterbug Smart2. It helps improve memory through games that are not only challenging but fun.
  • Personal Operator: A feature of the Ultimate Health and Safety plan, the personal operator gets you in touch with a live agent who can help with tasks like finding addresses and phone numbers.
  • The Wellness Call: A free service with any Health and Safety plan, wellness expert Dr. Brian Alman sends a weekly motivational call to your phone.
  • The Check-in Call: Part of a Health and Safety package, users get an automated daily call to check on their well-being.
  • Product Replacement: If their phone is broken, stolen or lost, Ultimate Health and Safety users get the benefit of one replacement every 12 months for only $25.

Jitterbug Smartphone plans

Jitterbug Smartphone plans are as affordable as $14.99 per month for 250 minutes, or users can opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month. Jitterbug Smart offers three Health & Safety Packages depending on your needs and activity level.

Jitterbug BasicJitterbug PreferredJitterbug Ultimate
Cost per month$19.99$24.99$34.99
Jitterbug Basic$19.99
Jitterbug Preferred$24.99
Jitterbug Ultimate$34.99

How does Jitterbug Smart work?

Calling for help with Jitterbug Smart is as simple as pressing the 5Star button always displayed on the phone. Once connected, an emergency response operator confirms your location. Then, the 5Star agent dispatches emergency personnel, roadside assistance, a locksmith, or a close family member for aid. While this is in progress, the agent makes sure to stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

Jitterbug Smart Reviews

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Several points: You FIRST need to know this: a brief press of the power button puts the device into what PC’s call “sleep mode”, whereas holding it down for the right amount of time turns it off, but holding it down for too long seems to turn it off and turn it on again. If this is the first device you have used that has a touch screen, getting accustomed to the device will take some time. Battery needs more frequent recharging than a dumb phone (e.g., the LG-470). I like the device and its tech support. It does well its intended purposes: phone calls, texts, receiving emails, taking pictures and sending them. If you want to surf the internet or construct documents, no smartphone on earth will work, you need a tablet, Chromebook or PC.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2019

When I get a call in the car, I cannot hear the caller very well because the volume is so low. I tried raising the volume on the radio (which worked great with the Jitterbug flip phone) but to no avail. I also raised the volume all the way up on the phone volume control (again, no luck). Please help!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Alan, we are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Jitterbug phone. In order to raise the volume on your Jitterbug Smart phone, you may Tap on the top half of the volume button on the right-hand side of your phone. If you are still having issues with being able to hear the phone ring, I would recommend changing the ringtone. If you need any further assistance please call Customer Service between 5AM and 8PM, Pacific Standard Time.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I'm legally blind and my other cellphone was just too little. I got the Jitterbug Touch and I can see it. It helped me. My friend programmed the phone numbers and told me that my phone doesn't have very much data. I called the support team because I wanted to talk to the lady that sold it to me, but they made me talk to a tech support man. The tech told me that it only has 6 Gigabyte and if I go on Facebook, it will use up my data right away. I was disappointed in that because the gal that sold it to me that kept calling me, acted like everything was great. So, I felt she misrepresented it when selling me the phone. The phone itself is really nice. It's big, and it's for a person like me that has trouble seeing. I can see it with my magnifying glass, so in that way it's easy. I just need somebody to sit with me to show me a couple things. I've referred people to Jitterbug, but I wanna change phone carriers to see if I could get more data.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

People spend a lot of money on cell phones now but I got mine next to nothing. I’m not gonna spend $1,000 for a phone. I know that the Jitterbug’s are sold at Best Buy right ahead and a couple other places so I went down a little for a ride and explored. There’s this Jitterbug for 150 bucks. I had the salesman on the phone who said, “If you actually wanna do it today, instead of waiting to make up your mind I’ll sell it to you for 75 bucks." So I got my phone for $75 and this phone could do a lot of stuff.

I went from having a little flip phone for a million years and I got a lot of pressure from my daughter. She said I got to have the opportunity to do the texting back and forth and she can send me pictures. The Jitterbug phone is a wealth of information. I’ve been looking for a new car and I've been using my phone to do my car shopping. I haven’t got a computer so everything I do with it, a lot of it I’ve just learned myself. I enjoy my Jitterbug phone.

I called somebody after, when I first got the phone, because there was no screen protector in it. It said there was on the checklist and I got it a couple of days later. When you’re dealing with a Jitterbug version with the Samsung 8 or Samsung 9 you’re gonna pay an arm and leg for it. Everybody’s got them including my grandkids. I’ve got this cheaper phone, but they think my phone is really cool because it’s got a bigger screen on it than theirs. I’m 72 years old, so I’m not getting any younger. Some of my friends have been stuck in the rut for a long time so I’ve shared my experience with my phone. They do not have a phone of this kind. It is kind of a smartphone, but Jitterbug got a damn better offer in it. My friends are now looking at buying one.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I’m a senior citizen and I didn’t have any knowledge at all about smartphones. Jitterbug advertises that it's one of the easiest, and my husband went to Best Buy and spoke to them. They concurred that it would be the easiest one to learn on. However, I had trouble in the beginning as I kept getting calls. I'm in an area code 631 and they gave me a 516. There was some person's name that took up the whole screen across, and when I would call my grandchildren, the customer ID would come up as this name so they didn't know it was me.

I called Jitterbug and after speaking to several technicians, their conclusion was they cannot change the caller ID and that they must change the phone number. Unfortunately, I had put in all the information of everyone I knew with addresses, home phone numbers and cellphone numbers, and all that was erased. They had to give me a new phone number. I still couldn’t get my area code, and I am still getting phone calls from 516. But now, I know. If I don’t know who you are, I’m not answering it. There were certain things that got me very frustrated, but I’m starting to get the knack of it. I love texting with the Jitterbug. That's all that my grandchildren do and I've learned how to do it. They send me pictures and I store them, and that's what I really like about it. The phone is also available if I need it for an emergency.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Bought a Jitterbug smart phone for my Mother-In-Law Xmas 2017. She was intimidated but we finally got her to agree to try it. Called Greatcall and they said they no longer service this phone and transferred us to the sales dept to buy a new one! What in the??? Feels like you are taking advantage of Senior Citizens. No other phone company would not service a phone that is less than 2 years old! Bought the phone through Amazon so we can't return at this point. My hope is that Greatcall will make this right!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Leigh, we apologize for the recent experience you had with trying to activate your Jitterbug Smart phone. Due to system updates, we are no longer able to activate this phone. We may be able eligible for a discounted Jitterbug Smart2 phone. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632, between 5am and 10pm Pacific time, so we can further assist you in this matter.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Looking for an inexpensive alternative to upgrade my mom's phone from the traditional flip-style to a smartphone, I opted to find the Smart model for a reasonable price on eBay in October 2019. I am not referring to the "Smart 2" model that is apparently the ONLY alternative in late 2019. When calling Greatcall upon attempted activation, I was told that the phone I had could no longer be activated.

It looks like people are using Google to search "greatcall.com smart bulletin" and not finding any hits regarding WHEN this change took effect. Rather, by Greatcall, I was told that I had to obtain the "Smart 2" model, branded by Alcatel from Best Buy. These are currently $149.00. I was hoping to upgrade my mom's phone for about $50. Chalk it up as another marketing racket directed at seniors. :/

At this time, I'm just curious as to WHEN support ended for all the elder "Smart" models, and who's going to tell the vast number of eBay sellers that I'm seeing (2019-10-17) that the phones people are buying cannot be activated?? Maybe I've missed a detail during this process, and fortunately the eBay seller I purchased from accepts returns. Cheers, 2019-10-17

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Pete, we apologize for the recent experience you had with trying to activate your Jitterbug Smart phone. Due to system updates, we are no longer able to activate this phone. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a secondhand phone can be activated. To avoid this in the future, we would recommend purchasing through GreatCall or use our tool, "Find a Location," on our website, www.greatcall.com, to find a store near you to purchase our products.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

This phone has been a complete nightmare for my 86 year old mother and our entire family. I call her and it goes straight to her voicemail. She can't hear what I am saying half the time and it will cut off during a conversation. I set it up to her wifi and then it was not using her wifi. I am extremely tech savvy and I can tell you to NOT EVER purchase this phone. WE are cancelling her service. This company is ripping off senior citizens. I called once to the customer service and the guy was the rudest representative I have EVER talked to in my ENTIRE life. I finally started talking tech talk back to him in a complicated way to shut him down. When he realized I knew what I was talking about, he changed his tune. Why would ANYONE want their mother dealing with such people as this. BUYER BEWARE and run as fast as you can in another direction!!!!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Kelly, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

We saw the Jitterbug in the July/Aug. edition of AARP. They had an entire page advertisement with plans as low at $17.48/month the first month was free with 200 min and 40mb data if purchased before Aug. 31st (which we did) and activated before Sept. 30 (which we did). We purchased the phone from BestBuy and on the box, it said the plan was also $17.48/mth with 200 min and 40mb data.

We then went to activate it online. That plan was not an option online. We then called, and the woman was rude to us and told us over and over that plan no longer existed. I told her we bought the phone for this plan and that the advertisement stated that this price was available, it then also said it on the box and then in fine print we needed to purchase before Aug. 31st and activate it by Sept. 30th. She refused to say it was an option and I asked for a supervisor. I then sat on hold for too long, so I hung up and called back. The gentleman that answered said that the plan is available and it is one of the most popular options... Ironic! He said then that he would transfer me to the person to activate it and when they transferred the call it dropped me after waiting for a couple minutes.

I then called back again, this time a new gentleman said that the $17.48/mth plan was not available and that the closest plan was $27/mth with 100 minutes and 20mb data. A more expensive plan with less minutes and data. I told him this was not an option. We bought the phone from the advertisement in the current AARP magazine. The plan was also on the box that when we purchased the phone and that they need to honor their plan. He then said, "Okay, I can give you a $17.48/plan with 250 minutes and 100mb data. The taxes will be about $10 a month, so it will come out to be about $27/month." At this point we were so frustrated that we agreed not knowing if they were filling up full of crap or really being honest. However, he was really rude to us also. I almost hung up and returned the Jitterbug phone.

In the end this is what we paid:
$150 for the phone
$28 activation fee
$10 taxes first month fee and got a free month

$27/month for our plan with 250 minutes and 100mb data

Hope you all have a better experience!

Jitterbug Smart response

We are sorry to hear of your experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. We would like to review your account for any coaching opportunities. Please look for a private message from us requesting additional information.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

Bought this cell for ease of use. I am a senior, not tech smart, mostly I text. Nothing wrong with my hearing, and this cell the sounds for texts only work very seldom. When it does I can hear it 30 feet away! 90% of time phone next to me on stand will go to text and see I have 2-3 messages - no sound telling me. I have all volumes 100%. It's easy cell for seniors but sounds/alerts very poor. $144 I paid for this phone. Sad to say quality of it not worth that much. Beware.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Jessica, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. Please call GreatCall Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, 7 days a week, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Jitterbug Smart accessories

GreatCall offers Jitterbug Smart and Jitterbug Smart 2 accessories for extra charging options, screen protection and more.

Extra Wall Charger

The charger is compatible with both Jitterbug Smartphone devices and costs $19.99.

Car Charger

The Jitterbug Smart charger cable stretches from 12 to 40 inches and works with both Jitterbug Smartphones. Cost is $24.99.

Glass Screen Protector

This protects your Jitterbug Smart2’s screen for $9.99.

Wallet Folio Case

For $24.99, combine your Jitterbug Smartphone case and your wallet into one with GreatCall’s Wallet Folio Case.

Gel Case

Available in red, blue and clear, GreatCall’s gel cases protect your Jitterbug Smartphone from scratches. Prices range from $5 to $19.99.

Bluetooth Headset

Bluetooth lets you have conversations on Jitterbug Smart devices without having to take out your device. GreatCall’s Bluetooth Headset costs $49.99.

Jitterbug Smart caregiver tools

You can keep an eye on your aging loved ones without being intrusive through Jitterbugs Smart's GreatCall Link app. View your family member's phone battery status, location, and activities to make sure they are keeping up with important routine tasks. You'll also receive a notification if 5Start Urgent Response is used. Depending on your plan choice, you can even speak to a nurse or board-certified doctor without an appointment, no matter the time of day.

Jitterbug Smart monitoring center

Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers are located throughout the United States. With the touch of a button, you'll immediately connect with a US-based IAED-certified agent who can dispatch help. Multilingual operators are available, and there are over 200 languages spoken.

Your location is obtained through GPS and shared with EMTs. Any information you have available in your personal profile, such as medications and allergies, is shared with medical personnel.

Jitterbug Smart FAQ

Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Smart?
No, Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Smart.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smart medical alert system?
No, you do not have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smartphone.
What is Jitterbug Smart’s return policy?
Jitterbug has a 30-day refund policy. GreatCall will refund your money, less restocking fees, within that period; however, if you’ve used more than 30 minutes of talk time, you will be responsible for the first month of service.
What is Jitterbug Smart’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel Jitterbug Smart without fees at any time.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Jitterbug Smart monitoring service?
Yes, but GreatCall does provide discounts on shared Jitterbug Smart plans. Contact GreatCall Jitterbug customer service for more details.
Where are Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers located?
Jitterbug Smart connects to several centers dispersed throughout the United States.
Do Jitterbug Smart emergency response services require a landline?
No, 5Star Urgent response is accessed on the Jitterbug smartphone.
Does Jitterbug Smart offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
A Jitterbug Smart device replacement option can be added to any plan for a small monthly fee. If you have a problem with your device, Jitterbug phone troubleshooting is available through GreatCall customer service.
Does Jitterbug Smart offer a free trial period?
No, Jitterbug Smart does not offer a free trial period.
Are Jitterbug Smart medical alert systems waterproof?
No, Jitterbug Smart devices are not waterproof.
How much does Jitterbug Smart cost?
The price of a Jitterbug Smart2 is $112.49, and users can select plans as low as $14.99 (250 minutes), or opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Smart?

Yes. GreatCall excels at creating and designing mobile and safety products that help give aging adults the continued freedom and independence they crave. There are Jitterbug phone reviews cons — like some of their best features are only available through a Health and Safety package — but it could be worth it for the value those plans provide.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information