2. Medical Alert Systems
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart2 is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart2 has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart2 into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart2 phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Jitterbug Smart2 Gallery (6)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart is a smartphone device that quickly summons help during emergencies. It's not waterproof, but customers can keep their existing phone number and don't have to sign a long-term contract.

PROS

• Customer service is 100% US-based
  • Cell service is powered by Verizon cellular network
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Not waterproof
  • No fall detection

Top Jitterbug Smart Reviews

I am a senior citizen and I wanted to go to a smartphone so I got a Jitterbug phone. I enjoy using it and I have the less expensive program I can have. I like Jitterbug very much and would recommend it to someone else.

I've heard that Jitterbug Smart is really good and simple, and I tried it out because I have never gotten one of these things before. I love what I can do so far and I know there's so much more that I can do with it. I'm 72 and it's easy to read the big screen…

What is Jitterbug Smart?

The Jitterbug Smart is a simple smartphone designed with interactive emergency solutions for active aging adults. The Jitterbug Smart comes with a large, intuitive display that is easy to use. It also has a long-lasting battery and a powerful speaker that helps deliver sound clarity. Integrated with every smartphone is GreatCall’s 5Star app — a service that immediately connects you with trained personnel to assist in an emergency.

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart health and safety packages include text and talk time, a personal operator, caregiver access to wellness information and two-way communication to trained emergency agents. Jitterbug Smart smartphones use the Verizon wireless network and can be activated on GreatCall's website or through their customer support.

Jitterbug Smart devices

Jitterbug Smart smartphones have a simple navigation menu that is accessible when you power up or unlock your device. Both phones in the GreatCall Jitterbug suite are lightweight and easy to use.

• Jitterbug Smart: Jitterbug Smartphones have a powerful speakerphone, long-lasting battery and bright, easy-to-read screens. Jitterbug Smart specs also include a flash camera, GPS, 8GB of storage capacity and Bluetooth capability. Through a Jitterbug Smart Health and Safety package, you get 5Star service, urgent care, GreatCall Link, plus services like The Wellness Call, MedCoach and Daily Health Tips.
  • Jitterbug Smart2: The Jitterbug Smart2 has an easy-to-use navigation menu with a 5.5-inch color display, front-facing speakerphone, access to the Internet, GPS and voice typing capabilities. It includes a 13MP camera and has 16GB of storage to help capture and keep precious moments. The phone's usage meter tracks minutes and data to monitor for any overages. Jitterbug Smart 2 Health and Safety packages come with all the same services as the Jitterbug Smart.

Jitterbug Smartphone apps and services

GreatCall provides all of its Jitterbug Smartphones with health and safety packages that include the 5Star Urgent Response Service. Additional apps and services may include:

• Urgent Care: Included in some health and safety packages, Urgent Care service and its companion app sends personalized advice from doctors and nurses. If needed, health professionals can give you prescriptions over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: GreatCall link is included in any Health and Safety package, and allows caregivers to stay informed about your health and safety at a glance.
  • GreatCall Rides: Lift has teamed up with GreatCall to offer GreatCall Rides for any phones using a Health and Safety package. Simply dialing “0” will get you in touch with an operator who will book a ride for you.
  • Brain Games: Specially designed to keep aging brains fit, the free Brain Games app comes preloaded on your Jitterbug Smart2. It helps improve memory through games that are not only challenging but fun.
  • Personal Operator: A feature of the Ultimate Health and Safety plan, the personal operator gets you in touch with a live agent who can help with tasks like finding addresses and phone numbers.
  • The Wellness Call: A free service with any Health and Safety plan, wellness expert Dr. Brian Alman sends a weekly motivational call to your phone.
  • The Check-in Call: Part of a Health and Safety package, users get an automated daily call to check on their well-being.
  • Product Replacement: If their phone is broken, stolen or lost, Ultimate Health and Safety users get the benefit of one replacement every 12 months for only $25.

Jitterbug Smartphone plans

Jitterbug Smartphone plans are as affordable as $14.99 per month for 250 minutes, or users can opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month. Jitterbug Smart offers three Health & Safety Packages depending on your needs and activity level.

Jitterbug BasicJitterbug PreferredJitterbug Ultimate
Cost per month$19.99$24.99$34.99
Jitterbug Basic$19.99
Jitterbug Preferred$24.99
Jitterbug Ultimate$34.99

How does Jitterbug Smart work?

Calling for help with Jitterbug Smart is as simple as pressing the 5Star button always displayed on the phone. Once connected, an emergency response operator confirms your location. Then, the 5Star agent dispatches emergency personnel, roadside assistance, a locksmith, or a close family member for aid. While this is in progress, the agent makes sure to stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

Jitterbug Smart Reviews

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I have been with Jitterbug/Great Call for over a year and I have added 2 phones since then. I have had nothing but terrible experience with customer service until today. February 11, 2020 between 1 and 2 pm. A man named TIM spent the time to listen to our problems. Helped us connect to our wifi so that we wouldn't go over our usage. Hopefully ALL the problems we have been having with billing and over usage will be solved. Thank you Tim for making me decide Great Call may not be so bad after all.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Bought this phone Dec 2019. Had volume issues but realized the volume control was on low. Then I accidentally erased a few apps trying to move them off the HOME screen, not knowing what I was doing, lol. Jitterbug helped me with these problems & got everything back on for me. I needed to read instructions first (which I found just as easy as using the phone)! I only wish the plans had better options & $10.00 cheaper for our plan we got. I am very happy & satisfied with the phone, it is just SO EASY TO USE. I use the text a lot & never had a problem with things automatically erasing (like a reviewing did), or any other of those problems, sorry they did. I have no problems, in fact I found out how to do a certain task with it - that the Jitterbug people said was 'impossible'. lol. I really like it, my husband has one too & is just as happy with his.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Several points: You FIRST need to know this: a brief press of the power button puts the device into what PC’s call “sleep mode”, whereas holding it down for the right amount of time turns it off, but holding it down for too long seems to turn it off and turn it on again. If this is the first device you have used that has a touch screen, getting accustomed to the device will take some time. Battery needs more frequent recharging than a dumb phone (e.g., the LG-470). I like the device and its tech support. It does well its intended purposes: phone calls, texts, receiving emails, taking pictures and sending them. If you want to surf the internet or construct documents, no smartphone on earth will work, you need a tablet, Chromebook or PC.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I was afraid to use a Smartphone until I saw the Jitterbug Smart Phone 2 in action. I had a screen protector installed at Staples and haven't missed a beat. Although I'm admittedly ignorant when it come to technology, I'd recommend Jitterbug Smartphone 2, to people of all ages... It does everything I need and much, much more. The screen is huge and instructions are user friendly. I bought mine from Best Buy for only $74.95...

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: March 5, 2020

Updated on 03/20/2020. Here is an Update with nuisance texting from PELA. You sent a suggestion on 3/13 to "text back to STOP." Well they either DON'T read or DON'T care. Received messages on 3/14 and again today on 3/20. If it continues are you going to continue giving me a "credit" to offset the nuisance texting?

Original review: I got my Jitterbug "flip" late last year -- phone is nice - BIG numbers and easy to operate. I had signed up for the LOWEST (around $15) price as the phone was for emergencies ONLY. Well my bill is a little more than $30 (I figured all the fees), but the worst part is the "Unsolicited" phone calls and text [which I specifically requested NOT to have]. Every week I get texts from PELA about CBD which is really beginning to be a nuisance. Now today I start getting phone calls from Chicago for automobile insurance. Great Call says they DO NOT sell your information but they share it with their affiliates -- is that not the same as selling, you get the same unsolicited phone calls and text and it is charged to your bill! I think it is time to find something BETTER.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Patricia, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to assist you further, please look for a private message from us that is requesting additional information.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 3, 2020

Can't download files & voicemail does not work properly. My wife and I transferred our cellphone service to Great Call during October 2019. We got two Jitterbug II Smartphones. Since then, when we call each other, we do not get the other persons voicemail. We get our own. That's worthless. I need to leave her a voicemail, not leave one to myself. We've called this issue in 3 times and, while customer service is courteous, they can't get Verizon to fix the issue and no one follows up with us. Dead air from Great Call.

Two. We can't download files from texts....only pictures or similar. We confirmed this is normal in a conversation with customer service. That is not acceptable. We are missing valuable communications and data because the phone's texting capabilities are sub-normal. It's not a Great Call. It's Cheap Call and poor customer service. Buyer beware. You get what you pay for. I want good cellphone service, not nice-nice Reps who do not follow up. BTW. I spent 25 in telecom. I know poor service when I get it.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Kevin, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to assist you further, please look for a private message from us that is requesting additional information.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

My mom had a phone and was on my plan. I saw 17$ per month advertisement from Greatcall. I thought I save money. I bought a phone for 100$ and got a plan for my mom from greatcall then I found 17$ has no data. They wanted 50$ to give her unlimited data, but this was way more than I was paying before. After some negotiations I got for 25$ a plan that included limited data and calls. But one month I was charged about 250$. I called and greatcall told me, "Your mom used extra data." Extra data 250$!!!?

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello, we are sorry that you were not completely satisfied with our rate plans and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Our lowest plan available for the Jitterbug smartphones includes our lowest data option of 100MB. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans. We offer services ala carte to allow you to tailor the phone to your needs. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

We purchased the Jitterbug at Best Buy and proceeded to call Great Call when we got home...what an ordeal! They me on hold for over 20 minutes the first time I called. Then Bill answered. What a jerk. He was condescending but I wanted to do this for my mom so I continued the conversation. He asked for my number in case we got disconnected. Well we didn’t get disconnected, he hung up on me! I called again and was on hold for over 25 minutes! I was fuming by then and the girl on the line was not much better. In the middle of the call I thanked her for her time and decided this was not for my mom. She has been happy with Metro Pcs, so she is staying with them! Thanks Bill for being a jerk. This would have been more expensive for my mom a month than metro pcs, but we wanted to try it out. You saved us from that hassle!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. All calls are answered in the order they are received and although hold times vary, most calls are answered within a few minutes. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I have had my Jitterbug for four days and it’s still not activated. Despite nearly six hours on the phone and a replacement customer service has not been Able to help, claiming bad data entry on their and and network problems. I’m more than done.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Lynn, we are sorry to hear you are unable to activate your Jitterbug phone. It may be due to coverage in your area or things like weather, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. Please contact our Customer Service at 1800-733-6632, between 5am and 10pm, Pacific Time, to go through activation troubleshooting. We do offer a 30-Day Return policy if you are still unable to activate your phone. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Great concept but needs improvement. The location of the 5* when unlocking the phone causes my elderly mother to accidentally call the police. Unprompted the last two days the phone has blocked Contacts, Dial Pad, messaging and history. The Customer service folks are patient and friendly and walked me through unblocking, but it was a temporary fix because it blocked them again. Volume is not loud enough.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Lori, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional information.

Jitterbug Smart accessories

GreatCall offers Jitterbug Smart and Jitterbug Smart 2 accessories for extra charging options, screen protection and more.

Extra Wall Charger

The charger is compatible with both Jitterbug Smartphone devices and costs $19.99.

Car Charger

The Jitterbug Smart charger cable stretches from 12 to 40 inches and works with both Jitterbug Smartphones. Cost is $24.99.

Glass Screen Protector

This protects your Jitterbug Smart2’s screen for $9.99.

Wallet Folio Case

For $24.99, combine your Jitterbug Smartphone case and your wallet into one with GreatCall’s Wallet Folio Case.

Gel Case

Available in red, blue and clear, GreatCall’s gel cases protect your Jitterbug Smartphone from scratches. Prices range from $5 to $19.99.

Bluetooth Headset

Bluetooth lets you have conversations on Jitterbug Smart devices without having to take out your device. GreatCall’s Bluetooth Headset costs $49.99.

Jitterbug Smart caregiver tools

You can keep an eye on your aging loved ones without being intrusive through Jitterbugs Smart's GreatCall Link app. View your family member's phone battery status, location, and activities to make sure they are keeping up with important routine tasks. You'll also receive a notification if 5Start Urgent Response is used. Depending on your plan choice, you can even speak to a nurse or board-certified doctor without an appointment, no matter the time of day.

Jitterbug Smart monitoring center

Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers are located throughout the United States. With the touch of a button, you'll immediately connect with a US-based IAED-certified agent who can dispatch help. Multilingual operators are available, and there are over 200 languages spoken.

Your location is obtained through GPS and shared with EMTs. Any information you have available in your personal profile, such as medications and allergies, is shared with medical personnel.

Jitterbug Smart FAQ

Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Smart?
    No, Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Smart.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smart medical alert system?
    No, you do not have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smartphone.
    What is Jitterbug Smart’s return policy?
    Jitterbug has a 30-day refund policy. GreatCall will refund your money, less restocking fees, within that period; however, if you’ve used more than 30 minutes of talk time, you will be responsible for the first month of service.
    What is Jitterbug Smart’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel Jitterbug Smart without fees at any time.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Jitterbug Smart monitoring service?
    Yes, but GreatCall does provide discounts on shared Jitterbug Smart plans. Contact GreatCall Jitterbug customer service for more details.
    Where are Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers located?
    Jitterbug Smart connects to several centers dispersed throughout the United States.
    Do Jitterbug Smart emergency response services require a landline?
    No, 5Star Urgent response is accessed on the Jitterbug smartphone.
    Does Jitterbug Smart offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    A Jitterbug Smart device replacement option can be added to any plan for a small monthly fee. If you have a problem with your device, Jitterbug phone troubleshooting is available through GreatCall customer service.
    Does Jitterbug Smart offer a free trial period?
    No, Jitterbug Smart does not offer a free trial period.
    Are Jitterbug Smart medical alert systems waterproof?
    No, Jitterbug Smart devices are not waterproof.
    How much does Jitterbug Smart cost?
    The price of a Jitterbug Smart2 is $112.49, and users can select plans as low as $14.99 (250 minutes), or opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Smart?

Yes. GreatCall excels at creating and designing mobile and safety products that help give aging adults the continued freedom and independence they crave. There are Jitterbug phone reviews cons — like some of their best features are only available through a Health and Safety package — but it could be worth it for the value those plans provide.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information