Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 3 stars26
  • 2 stars4
  • 1 stars14
EASY

The Jitterbug® Smart is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. A new, 35% bigger screen makes it even easier to stay connected. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART

With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star®, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE

Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall® provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had an old Consumer Cellular flip phone and it quit working. So, I wanted one where I could receive pictures on from my grandkids. Jitterbug looked like it was easy to use and I didn’t have to go to Walmart or somewhere and try to figure out what I was going to get. So far, Jitterbug has been fine. I’ve had trouble getting a signal but I understand it was in the system.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The little bit of interacting I did with the Jitterbug team was very positive. They were very helpful. I've been happy with my Jitterbug. I like being able to look up something on Google with it. Basically, I wanted it for emergencies, like if I got car troubles, or need advice. That's about all. I don't carry on all these crazy conversations with everybody. I eliminated the text messaging because I'm old and I don't do that.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Jitterbug is a lot better than the phone I previously had. It’s more user-friendly and the customer service people are much better than the one where I was before. They walked me through any problems I had. I recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I used to have a Samsung phone but Jitterbug Touch sounded very easy to use. Jitterbug's customer service people explained everything that was offered and I just picked what I wanted. They asked questions as to what my needs were for the use of the telephone and they were very helpful. A lot of that is extremely confusing sometimes, and they were very thorough with the answers and their explanations. I find Jitterbug very convenient. Everything that I wanted is very simple and easy to understand, though my grandson showed me how to send photos because I wasn’t quite sure about that. I like the fact that the bill comes on time. I know exactly what my monthly bill is going to be and how many minutes that I have left on the phone because it’s always on the bill. So, it’s very helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The price is a little high because my son gets his for $40 a month and gets internet on it and unlimited by another company. Mine is $78 dollars a month and it’s a little steep for just unlimited. I only have 1GB and they charge me extra $5 for that. Sometimes the phone makes calls that I don’t make. It can be laying on the table in front me, and then, somebody will call me about 30 minutes and I’m watching TV, and they wanna know that I called them and I don’t even know them.

Also, I can’t hardly hear because the phone is not loud like when they were advertising it. They said, “Louder than most phones,” and it’s not. And sometimes I have to turn the speaker on all the time to hear. I can’t even answer the phone without having the speaker on and I’m not hard to hearing. It can be laying on the couch while I'm taking a nap, and I cannot hear it ring. I’ve missed lots of calls. I checked all the little things in the phone and the sound is turned up. And then, I have trouble with trying to get on Facebook. I paid a little bit extra for a little bit of data because I only get on Facebook to check on my granddaughters. And I got in only one time. Since then, I put my password in there and it keeps telling me it’s wrong. I even had my son check it and he said, “No, mom. Your password’s right.” I just practically gave up but I’m still paying for it.

When I went on unlimited, they told me that since I went on an unlimited plan and kept the red star, I would get an extra 100GB for internet data but I didn’t. I only got the 100, which I was paying for anyway. And I tried to check it to see if I’ve got two and it shows that I got one. I called Jitterbug and told them about my issues but I didn’t get any response. They said they’d help me but they didn’t really do any good. I like the telephone itself and the fact they have big screen. But the phone has acted up to where I couldn’t even go on the page. If I had the number in the phone, I couldn’t stand to get it because it wouldn’t let me do anything. So, I have to take it apart and then, I’ll turn it back on again and it would start to work. The only thing I really like about it is the red star and it’s easy to dial somebody, take a picture or look at a photo album, except for when it’s acting up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like Jitterbug but I don’t get to use it that much some days. I care about it a lot and I’ve had a good experience with it. I like that I get the telephone numbers in it so, I could figure out what number I want.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Jitterbug is great especially the emergency medical service. I feel more secure. However, I don't text nor use the internet that much. I hate to give up Jitterbug, but I couldn't afford it. I tried asking about the flip top phone, but it's almost as much as the other one. I wish they have one that I can use for calling, has the emergency service on it, and is a flip top.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Sometimes I feel that the Jitterbug phone freezes and I can’t press anything. And I have to go through different channels to get my messages. I have a problem getting my texts. I don’t feel like it’s readily available. With AT&T it was easier to get my messages. Jitterbug is not really simple. Everything is in compartments. It’s not a bad phone, but I find that it’s not as easy, like if I were to call my friends. Also, my partner was in the store with me yesterday and I was trying to find her. And here I am, fooling around with the phone trying to find her to call her. It was taking me time to find her name to press the thing.

I also notice that the batteries go very quickly and I’m a little upset with that. I never had that problem with the AT&T phone. I hook up my phone and don’t play games on the phone. I don’t talk on the phone much. I usually take it to bed with me and by the morning, I have to charge it again. I don’t know if a busy person who’s on the phone all the time, would appreciate this telephone.

Also, when I called a rep to buy the phone, I didn’t know how many minutes I needed. She thought that I would be good with the one that I pay $39 a month. She said that’s what I needed but it starts at $17.99 and I went in already doubled what it was offered at. I’m not talking on the phone all day so I don’t know if I need to do that or if I can go down.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband’s 86 years old and couldn’t understand the phone he had. Though he does not use his Jitterbug often, he can understand it a little bit better than the other one. Using it is easier for him. He calls me if I'm out of the house. It's like a toy for him. I don't know though why he gets a lot of crazy calls.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My old phone is prepaid, but I couldn't take pictures and text with it. So I wanted to be able to do those but not necessarily with unlimited minutes because I don't want to pay for a lot that I won't use. I also don't use a lot of data, so Jitterbug Touch met my needs. I called the team when I was first learning how to use it and when I wanted to change the plan because I was going over the 40MB of data, though I found out that it was because the Wi-Fi was turned off. But, they were able to help me out and move up my plan. Also, AT&T doesn't work out where my parents live, and it's with Verizon so it works well there. However, I had zero cell coverage with this one when I was up in Colorado last summer.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Before having Jitterbug, I had a flip phone which doesn't have all the technology that Jitterbug has. This is a more upscale phone but to me, it's just a phone and I don't use it very much. My purpose for having it is very limited. I don’t tweet and text; I just use it only to make personal calls. When I'm away from home, it's just to communicate with my wife. And my kids have my number and we'd call each other.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My new Jitterbug Touch is a little easier to handle compared to my previous phone. It has a very good directory and the instructions are very good. I can talk to it when I send text and also, it's cheaper than my other one. I check the weather every morning and the baseball scores. I've fixed it so the baseball scores come up and it's simple to set up. I enjoy it and in fact, I've even recommended it to somebody.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I bought the Jitterbug because of the red button but I haven't figured out how to use it. I'm just going to have to get the book out and start studying on how to get into it.

Jitterbug Smart

Mary, we are sorry to hear you are having trouble using your Jitterbug phone. For assistance in using your phone, we do have helpful videos on YouTube or you can call customer service, 1 800-733-6632 between the hours of 5am and 9pm Pacific Time, from another phone and we will talk you through what it is you are trying to do. Also, you may find it easier to use a stylist instead of your finger when touching the screen.-GreatCall Operations.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I talked with my daughter about Jitterbug Touch and she thought it was a good deal. I had had another phone that I wasn’t happy with and I thought I’d try Jitterbug out. It has more options than my previous phone so I took it. But now, I very rarely use it and I’m unhappy about it. It is so sensitive that it drives me crazy. I touch it and all of a sudden something else comes up. I don’t want it that fast and I can’t seem to get it to do what I want to do with it. I try to take a picture using the camera yesterday and it’s taking a picture of me instead of the reverse I want. The little icons on the top part of the phone are so small that I can’t read them. I’m 89 years old and my eyesight and hearing aren’t that good so I need things that are larger. In fact, I talked to my daughter as I might not take it again since it’s on a monthly contract. It does have help but if I hit it, the help I need is never one of those few different options given there.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted a phone that I could use for calls and text messages. I got a Jitterbug and I’m satisfied with the way it performs. I’m still taking my good, easy time on learning how to use it but I’d recommend it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like the Jitterbug phone. It's handy, works good and does what I need it to do. I would rate it up there pretty good, every bit as good as when I was with Verizon. It works fine for me. The battery lasts usually about four days before I have to charge it. I just mainly use the phone for calling somebody and getting a call, and I haven't had any problem with these. But I have to do some more with my phone, and I haven't got the information in for my 5Star service. But I don't play games on it, or text, or go on the internet, or shop on the Web, or use any other features that I've got in there. I'm 75 and the letters are too small for me to see very good to type.

In fact, when I first got the Jitterbug, I accidentally touched the green app and got it stuck on my phone, and I couldn't get it to go back off, but I don't use it and just left it there. Also, with the open screen phone, when I get done with talking to somebody, I put the phone in my pocket and it goes nuts in there, in touching my chest or something in my pocket.

When I get a call, I pick up the phone, touch the green arrows, and slide across there. But sometimes I can't let go of the green arrows. I have to slide across them several times before the phone accepts the call. But with my other phones, I always had like a RAZR back that I can open up and talk, and I didn't have to touch anything. This is one thing that I wish for with the Jitterbug.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My daughter had given me a little fold down cellphone and there was no way for me to put names and do anything else with it and I thought that I'll just do it on my own. My daughter and her husband said they cost $300 and $400 to get one so I called and inquired then went ahead and ordered it. I didn’t tell her that I was gonna do this but she was real pleased and thought I’d done a real good job. When I was on US Cellular with my daughter and her husband, it cost me more than $100 to break my contract. Then the lights never got on with Jitterbug. Something about US Cellular wasn’t releasing me even though they said they had released me. I don’t know what took place but it took me a while to finally get it and had surely cost me. I came up with a free use of my Cox telephone so I really haven’t had to use my Jitterbug.4

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed a phone that was easier to operate but still had the things that I needed it to do and with that, I chose to get Jitterbug Smart. I like it a lot better than the old cell phone that I used and it's simpler. Although I don't use it that much. It's an emergency phone that I keep with me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking for another phone and I read about Jitterbug Touch from a Reader's Digest article. Though I don’t do much more with it than I do with my other cellphone, it's much better. I haven’t read the directions for setting up the camera, texting, and whatever else is on there yet but my experience has been very satisfactory. I also have a question on why did I get a bill the other month when I never have been getting one before so I'll need to get in touch with their customer service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a cellphone before I got my Jitterbug. I was paying too much and I don’t use phones that much so I only use my Jitterbug phone for 911 and AAA. I don't have any problems with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Because of the promise of ease of use, we decided to get a Jitterbug. I use it to receive or send messages. I also use it for security. I had thought of getting one of those security pendants, but my son told me to just carry my cellphone with me, and so I do. I’m happy with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was worried when I signed up with Jitterbug because I figured it was going to be hard but the guy I talked to was real cool and super friendly. This phone has an easy setup and it's for older people that don't know anything about computers. I attempted a couple of other phones before but I couldn't use them. They were too complicated for me. Jitterbug is 100% better than them, it's so much easier to use and does no confusion when I go to my apps. I don't use it all that much but it's great. I'm glad I got it and it's nice to have. I tell my friends to get it all the time because they can't use the other ones either. And the good thing is you get an instruction booklet with it that tells you how to do everything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got Jitterbug Touch for my elderly mother who's in a nursing home. I liked the size of its screen and the simplicity of being able to use it. Their customer service team was very helpful, especially in the beginning when I was trying to get it all set up for my mother. But she isn't actually using it very much because she is afraid of it. She's already 93, and we're trying to work with her on how to use it. But it was still a good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a phone that had so much gobbledygook on it that I couldn't even use it. I was frustrated with it. It had so many apps on and I couldn't deal with it. Since Jitterbug sounded much more friendly to me, I decided to get it. Overall this phone is good and bad. I like everything about it, although the battery runs out awfully fast and it's very sensitive. So I really regret that I didn't go with the very basic Jitterbug. But it's a very good phone for somebody that wants what goes on it. There's quite a few features on the Jitterbug Touch, but I'm just not that computer literate so that's made it more difficult for me. But I'm much more pleased with it than any cell phone that I've had.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Jitterbug is better than my old phone. It's a step up because I can text on it and get voicemails. I could also be on the Wi-Fi that we have here at our place. It says that we’re activated but I’ve never used it because I use my laptop. The texting is so close to the calling, so if I’m trying to erase the text that I’ve had before, I end up calling people. I do this at all times of the night and it’s terrible. Their customer service team was friendly during the set-up and they were very nice. I would recommend Jitterbug.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted a cellphone on hand for security when I go out walking or driving. The Jitterbug Touch seemed to be just what I wanted and so far, it's more than I need. I have no complaints. I had a TracFone at one time and I like Jitterbug more. It is easier to use. I am also thankful that they check up on me and see if I'm having any problem. I would recommend them to any of my older friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Jitterbug Touch was a little cheaper than the rest of them. It's also a little easier to use than my previous cellphone since it almost tells me what to do.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a Galaxy 3 before but I like my Jitterbug Touch more. I took it back down to Best Buy where I purchased it and they transferred all my pictures and everything from my other phone over to the new Jitterbug one. I'm not a steady phone user, so I like the amount that I pay every month now compared to what it was before. I'm also pleased with its camera for it takes very good pictures. Then when I make a long-distance call, it's very clear and I can hear very well on it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got Jitterbug as a gift and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I wanted it mainly because my husband has COPD and we're on the road a lot going to the doctors. I needed Jitterbug so that I could get in touch with somebody if I needed to. The only thing is my bills change from month to month and I can't understand it. Other than that, I would recommend Jitterbug to anybody.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a phone with AT&T and had upgraded it but I wanted something simple that was easy for us to use. We're not real technology wizards and Jitterbug is so nice and user-friendly. I got the Touch instead of the flip one because I really like it. It's also much easier to read on it. Customer service was wonderful when we set the phone up. They were very patient and talked us all the way through it and set us up with our own phone number. I'm very pleased with Jitterbug. We now have the landline for another year but as soon as we get rid of that we're going strictly with the Jitterbug.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

The Jitterbug Smart from GreatCall takes mobile alert technology to the next level by combining smartphone and medical alert technology. It is designed to create an all-in-one solution for those who need medical monitoring and their families.​

• Affordable plans: Users pay one affordable monthly fee for data, texting, phone minutes and health and safety applications. Choose the plan that works for you, and adapt it as needed since you aren’t locked into a contract.
  • Easy to use and intuitive design: Smartphones can be intimidating, but the simple and intuitive design of the Jitterbug Smart incorporates large keys and an easy-to-read menu, allowing for easy adaptation.
  • 5Star app: The 5Star app makes it easy to get help in an emergency. Simply press a button for immediate emergency response.
  • Caregiver support: Caregivers can check in on their loved ones without intruding thanks to the GreatCall Link app. This GPS-enabled app allows caregivers to keep track of their loved ones, and it automatically alerts caregivers when the 5Star button has been pressed so they can react quickly.
  • Resources: Learn how to make the most of your smartphone with GreatCall’s Learning Center. Their video library, how-to cards and interactive online courses help users and their caregivers understand the full capabilities of their Jitterbug Smart.
  • Best for Seniors living alone, persons who have recently retired, persons with newly diagnosed or uncontrolled epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Jitterbug Smart Company Profile