Call toll free
4.11/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. A new, 35% bigger screen makes it even easier to stay connected. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Jitterbug Smart Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

900 Jitterbug Smart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I've heard that Jitterbug Smart is really good and simple, and I tried it out because I have never gotten one of these things before. I love what I can do so far and I know there's so much more that I can do with it. I'm 72 and it's easy to read the big screen. I'm not using everything I know it can do because I don't know how yet. I mostly use it for my Bible study and lessons that I have to do because I can get them on the phone. But I want to learn how to get on the internet and look up things. And now that I'm learning pretty good how to install that stuff up, I want to go a little further. I went to the library and they were helping me with it, and then I got sick and had to miss some of my lessons so I've been playing with the phone on my own. I also need to learn how to find the medical help if I need it since I'm alone. The phone seems to be a good way to keep in touch.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Since I’ve quit working for this large company, I don’t use my cellphone nearly as much as I used to. And then my cellphone bill was too high, and I was paying for stuff that I wasn't using, so I went with Jitterbug. They were very professional when I talked to their team. And it's been a great experience, so far. I’ve used most of its features and they’re great. It gives me the weather and I have access to the internet if I need to. I'm getting older in my years, so the numbers on the phone being bigger is great as well.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I thought I was buying a phone that was easy to use. Three months later I still can only make a phone call after numerous calls to Great Call for help. Their directions are incomplete and assume some basic knowledge of phones which I do not have. My email connection to Google was declined because of insufficient security on the app. This is a waste of money unless it had come with an in person training course. I will replace the phone with a truly easy phone. The only people who would find this phone to be easy are educated in the setup and use of phones like this.

Jitterbug Smart response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with Jitterbug Smart and we appreciate your feedback.There are 16 how to videos on the GreatCall web page to assist in using the phone and GreatCall’s 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, is available, between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Time, to answer any questions.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Jitterbug Touch is a good phone and you can do a lot with it. The phone looks okay and I can see the buttons. Also, their team has been friendly when talking to them. I used to have two cellphones years ago, but one of them didn’t work out and the other one was too expensive. I’m not really computer-savvy and I don’t use the Jitterbug service a lot because I lost contact with a whole bunch of people. But, I know I can get help from other people with it. Overall, I like the Jitterbug phone and I can’t say anything against it.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Jitterbug was said to be easier than what I had before. But I don’t understand a lot of stuff about it. The only time I use Jitterbug is when the kids call or I call somebody. The reception is good when they call in. However, I don’t really use all the minutes and we get this sound that is not like when somebody is calling. And it keeps that sound up a lot, so I don’t know if somebody is leaving a message and I don’t know how to get that text message. My daughter has a different one, but she doesn’t know why that it’s like that either. The features would be okay if you’d know how to work it.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Jean, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall designed the easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. There are 17 how to videos to assist in using the phone and GreatCall’s 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, is available, between the hours of 5 am and 8 pm Pacific Time, Monday – Saturday to answer any questions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The Jitterbug phone is fine and I like its features. Ivan uses it in emergencies and he can get on it easier than he did on the other phone he had before.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

After reading reviews (including mine) it is obvious that this phone is a bad investment, yet Jitterbug refuses to refund me for its purchase and billed me even when I told them I would not be using it. Stay away from this. I formerly had an iPhone from Apple that I had NO trouble with.

Jitterbug Smart response
Hello Tilda, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug and we appreciate your feedback.

Please call GreatCall Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Time, 7 days a week, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

With Jitterbug, I don’t worry about using the cellphone anymore because it's user-friendly. The viewing screen is much larger than my flip-phone, and the contrast of the color and the lettering is great. They also have this medical option on their phone. I highly recommend it. Their team is absolutely professional and very knowledgeable, as well. There was nothing I called about that wasn’t addressed quickly and efficiently.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I liked that the Jitterbug is big. I can see the numbers and use them, too. The numbers on the other phone we had are too small. I give the Jitterbug to my wife to carry around for emergencies. It seems to be good so far.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

The Jitterbug Touch phone seemed simple. It wasn’t real technical and its 5-star helped a whole lot knowing that it is a convenient thing to have. It's also very easy to use.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have had an iPhone for six years now and I have a degree in automated office management but this phone was ridiculously complicated to get set up and there was roadblocks at every angle. I spent a minimum of 17 hours over four days and multiple phone calls on the phone with customer service and different managers and each time I questioned whether the phone was rebuilt or if it was actually new and stated that there was something wrong with the phone and was repeatedly told the phone was fine until today when I finally demanded they return my neighbor's money and cancel his account and that manager finally admitted there was an expired Sim card in the phone.

So Great Call sent out a device with an expired Sim card and after multiple issues with setting the phone up from voicemail that couldn’t be access to phone portage issues, to having no service at all and me questioning multiple times that there was a problem with the phone and all of the different tech support people telling me there was nothing wrong with the phone. It was as I was canceling the service altogether that suddenly a manager notices that there’s an expired Sim card in the phone and the only solution they had to that was to either drive an hour away and buy a new phone at our expense and not get a credit for the old phone for 30 days or wait for a week with no phone service at all until they were able to get a new one shipped out and then get that one set up and hope it worked fine.

Jitterbug Smart response

Eliza, we are sorry to hear of your experience with setting up your neighbor’s Jitterbug Smart phone and appreciate your feedback. The problems you are reporting are not typical and although SIM cards do expire, it is usually determined and resolved very quickly. Without a review of the account, we cannot speak directly as to what may have been the cause for your experience. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you or your neighbor.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Ok so we switched to the smartphone and now I am being told my cognitively delayed sister cannot not be tracked because once again we were lied to. We were told we could track her location and be able to block phone numbers. Now I am being told that is not the case! This is a safety concern. She goes walking by herself WHICH WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO TRACK HER ON THE MAP!!! It is really bad when we consistently get lied to from your employees. NOW WHAT NOW WE CAN'T MAKE SURE SHE IS SAFE!!! I need someone to contact me asap!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My Jitterbug phone has all been good for as much as I want use it. I have a specific purpose for it and it does fine for that. I’ve also had good experiences with the reps when they helped me set it all up.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My daughter said that I needed a smartphone. I got a Jitterbug Touch and I use it to dial out and answer calls. I have unlimited texts and I don't use it that often, but I wonder why every text go on to come and cost me 10 cents when I get my bill. I also don't really use too many of the features about it. Other than that, the phone is fine and I'm satisfied. I'd recommend Jitterbug Touch.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I saw the Jitterbug Touch advertisements in magazines and newspaper. I am 80 and my family wanted me to have some kind of support system because my children are living out and so I got it. However, I found it difficult to use. Yesterday, I told my 14-year old grandchild that we needed a date for him to show me how to use the phone since he was the one who set it up. He came over to where I live and put it on Wi-Fi. It’s matter of me taking the time to read the instructions and having him show me something.

Jitterbug Smart response

Audrey, we are sorry you are having trouble using your Jitterbug Smart cell phone and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall layered in an easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. There are several how-to videos available at the GreatCall webpage, www.greatcall.com, and they can be accessed by clicking on Product Support at the top right. If you can give us call from another phone, 1 800-733-6632, our Customer Service team stands ready to assist you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I ordered my Jitterbug Touch and it was sent it to me through mail. However, I’ve been having a lot problems with it. First, I bought the little one and then I went to the bigger one but it calls peoples by itself. Also, the volume is very bad on it and I have to put the speaker on to hear the person calling me. It’s very difficult to use than the regular phone that I have. I don’t understand how to do it.

Jitterbug Smart response

James, we are sorry to hear you are having trouble using your Jitterbug Smart cell phone and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall layered in an easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. There are several how-to videos available at the GreatCall webpage, www.greatcall.com, and they can be accessed by clicking on Product Support at the top right. If you can give us call from another phone, 1 800-733-6632, our Customer Service team stands ready to assist you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

When my husband gave me the gift a few months ago for this phone, I did not think I would have a very sever problem with it. When they said they installed the app for Aol.com, it was working with Chrome, or the Internet app. For the past two weeks, I am unable to connect with aol.com. Today I called GreatCall for help in finding out why I no longer can use the aol.com app or Chrome, or even the Internet app to get AOL. The rep. tried various things, kept me on the phone for one hour, and then told me it was an AOL problem and there was nothing they could do.

They connected me with AOL and then AOL where they connected me first to Romania, then the Philippines, kept me on the phone until 1:45 P.M. and then stated that it was GreatCall's problem. (By the way, they had never heard of GreatCall, and I told AOL to google the name of the company, GreatCall to find out that there is such a company.) So then I was told to go back and call GreatCall again.

At this time, I requested a supervisor, who stated that she did not have an I.D. number. Her name was Christine, who proceeded to talk above me, would not permit me to complete my statement regarding the problem, would not refer to the previous notes correctly, about why I called initially. I even requested her to state why I had called initially, and all she had on record was that I could not get AOL. Then she stated that I was told to reboot the app. This is incorrect. The previous rep. attempted to reboot the app, (not me). When I told her that the previous rep. suggested I contact AOL. she stated she should not have done that. So I told her to tell the previous rep. to not do that, because AOL simply tells the client to call back GreatCall.

Now we have a complete run-around situation. Is this truly the way to handle a client problem? I then requested my GreatCall account be cut off, because Christine consistently talked above me, would not listen to the complaint, would not attempt to solve the problem, etc, and above all, talked above me every minute of the call, until I reprimanded her and told her to stop interjecting the phone call and giving me her opinions which were valueless.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have been using iPhones for many years. My mother-in-law wanted the Jitterbug smartphone. We got her one and it took almost 4 hours to get this phone set up and it took my MIL over a week to get used to it and be able to just answer the phone. It takes steps just to get to the home screen. With my iPhone it takes only 1. I plan to trash this POS and give her an iPhone 8.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Walter, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall designed the easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. There are 17 how to videos to assist in using the phone on the GreatCall webpage and they can be accessed by clicking on Product Support at the top right. GreatCall’s 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, is available, between the hours of 5 am and 8 pm Pacific Time, Monday – Saturday to answer any questions.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have used my Jitterbug flip phone for over 10 years and I think it's time to replace it so I have been reading the reviews on the Smartphone. When you are elderly (I'm 88) if you don't understand today's technology, everything will be like "Greek" to you. Our Senior Center offers a wonderful free technology class to teach us how to use a computer, iPads and smartphones. I would suggest seniors check to see if their senior centers offer these classes.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

It is very unfortunate that this phone has so many issues. Poor phone quality, disconnects calls, cuts out, low volume, voicemail doesn't work, difficulty retrieving calls and tech support is not helpful. You're better off going with any other smartphone because this one will make you feel stupid and angry.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My 4 year old Smart Phone stopped working. Can't call for service since it's my only phone and it will not let me call out. Can't get passed the unlock screen. That's why I'm using e-mail. Is it under warranty?? The SmartPhone is not as easy to use as they state, and it cost a lot! It's not as easy to use as GreatCall states. I still have an old GreatCall flip up and one with a keypad. Both these old ones were more reliable. Can I go back and reactive the Flip up?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I needed a new phone and I got a Jitterbug Touch. I use it when I'm going out away from home and I have it for years now. I feel safer having a cellphone.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The Jitterbug Touch looked like a nice one. I saw how big the letters and the numbers were. They were so easy to see and I even recommended Jitterbug to Colony Place, which is an assisted living facility. I had a different type of cellphone before and I spent hours trying to figure out how to use it. On the other hand, I'm super pleased with the Jitterbug Touch. I've never had one so easy to use. And if I need help, people would help me anytime and the customer service reps have been awesome. They're kind and they help you out as much as possible.

Original review: July 31, 2018

My user handbook arrived TWO WEEKS after the phone. Needless to say, I labored over the phone without any help from you. Please extend my trial period as it will run out before I can use the phone easily.

Original review: July 31, 2018

The Jitterbug Touch has really good instructions on how to operate it. I like that I can text because I can get a hold of my daughters any time then. I've had the phone for a couple of months now and I'm taking it slow on learning how to do everything.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I liked the way the Jitterbug Touch looked right away because it seemed easy and I’m glad that I took the opportunity to buy it. I’m 86 years old and this is a very simple phone for me to use. Everything is right on top so I know exactly what I’m doing without the hassle of going through it. I like the way it works and the way it looks. I’m not a phone person that I’m on my phone all day long but when I need a phone, this is my phone. It is very reliable to me and I love it. I would and have recommended it.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I had a flip phone and when I was in California with my daughter, we drove to Best Buy and they got me a Jitterbug phone. My Jitterbug has been good for me. I enjoy it and I'm glad that I’ve got it instead of the other phone that I had and do things on it and stuff that I couldn’t with the other one. I’m happy with it. Sometimes, it kind of goes black on me and maybe I’m not in the frequency, but there’s something now that's affecting it possibly in the interstate back in there and with some trees. I’ve got a couple friends who have flips and I told them that they should get a Jitterbug.

Original review: July 28, 2018

When consumers have a problem, the response from the company. Is to tell them how great they are - really, really great - &, they will continue to be great! Then,

there follows, the boilerplate info to call them from another phone if they still have a problem.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Bought this for my 80 year old Mom because it is supposed to be easy for seniors. I have an Android and an iPhone and I could not figure out the Jitterbug! When my mom got $179.00 taken out of her bank account for overage on minutes... they said it was her fault and they could do nothing to help. They said they sent voicemails to let her know she was close to going over, but she did not have her voicemail set up, so did not get them. We did not know the mailbox was not set up as the message said you have reached **'s "Jitterbug". Bad customer service, hard phone to use, hard to set up... would not recommend for anyone!

Jitterbug Smart response

Cindy, we have reviewed your account and see that you are in the process of reviewing call records. Once completed please follow up with us.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I am 86 and I'm going blind, and I have not kept up with the times and moved into the 21st century comfortably, but I don't have kids or grandchildren to help me. I read an article in the AARP magazine with a magnifying glass and it said something about the Jitterbug smartphone that you can talk to. That was what I needed so I sent for it. But since I have never done any of this stuff, I wish that the directions for using the phone were a little more explicit than they have been for moving my fingers around, setting the phone up, and moving the screens. Until someone moved the screens, I didn't know that I could do that. Also, I didn't know that I could enlarge and move the icons around by finger pressure.

The other day, the cell phone rang and I wondered what that was, so I was running around the house thinking that I had to pick up all my phones. Then somebody came through the door and told me that my cell phone was ringing, but by the time I got through it the ringing had stopped. I appreciate the fact that I can talk to people, but it's getting to the point where I can't figure out how to enlarge the image and tap it to get something done. I'm checking the phone's operation and features, but I have to wait until someone is with me so I can I ask all kinds of questions.

A disk with instructions came with the phone, but I can't see my computer anymore to insert the disk and use it to read the instructions, so there may be more information there. Nevertheless, I'm satisfied with the phone, although I haven't used all of its features since I'm not inquisitive that way. I don't experiment and play games, and I haven't used the phone to its full capacity simply because I have difficulty seeing it. But I know that my Jitterbug phone is there if I need it.

Jitterbug Smart expert review by Shelley Webb

The Jitterbug Smart from GreatCall takes mobile alert technology to the next level by combining smartphone and medical alert technology. It is designed to create an all-in-one solution for those who need medical monitoring and their families.​

• Affordable plans: Users pay one affordable monthly fee for data, texting, phone minutes and health and safety applications. Choose the plan that works for you, and adapt it as needed since you aren’t locked into a contract.

• Easy to use and intuitive design: Smartphones can be intimidating, but the simple and intuitive design of the Jitterbug Smart incorporates large keys and an easy-to-read menu, allowing for easy adaptation.

• 5Star app: The 5Star app makes it easy to get help in an emergency. Simply press a button for immediate emergency response.

• Caregiver support: Caregivers can check in on their loved ones without intruding thanks to the GreatCall Link app. This GPS-enabled app allows caregivers to keep track of their loved ones, and it automatically alerts caregivers when the 5Star button has been pressed so they can react quickly.

• Resources: Learn how to make the most of your smartphone with GreatCall’s Learning Center. Their video library, how-to cards and interactive online courses help users and their caregivers understand the full capabilities of their Jitterbug Smart.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons who have recently retired, persons with newly diagnosed or uncontrolled epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information