Visit Website
  2. Medical Alert Systems
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart2 is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart2 has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart2 into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart2 phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Jitterbug Smart2 Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart is a smartphone device that quickly summons help during emergencies. It's not waterproof, but customers can keep their existing phone number and don't have to sign a long-term contract.

PROS

• Customer service is 100% US-based
  • Cell service is powered by Verizon cellular network
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Not waterproof
  • No fall detection

Top Jitterbug Smart Reviews

I am a senior citizen and I wanted to go to a smartphone so I got a Jitterbug phone. I enjoy using it and I have the less expensive program I can have. I like Jitterbug very much and would recommend it to someone else.

I've heard that Jitterbug Smart is really good and simple, and I tried it out because I have never gotten one of these things before. I love what I can do so far and I know there's so much more that I can do with it. I'm 72 and it's easy to read the big screen…

What is Jitterbug Smart?

The Jitterbug Smart is a simple smartphone designed with interactive emergency solutions for active aging adults. The Jitterbug Smart comes with a large, intuitive display that is easy to use. It also has a long-lasting battery and a powerful speaker that helps deliver sound clarity. Integrated with every smartphone is GreatCall’s 5Star app — a service that immediately connects you with trained personnel to assist in an emergency.

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart health and safety packages include text and talk time, a personal operator, caregiver access to wellness information and two-way communication to trained emergency agents. Jitterbug Smart smartphones use the Verizon wireless network and can be activated on GreatCall's website or through their customer support.

Jitterbug Smart devices

Jitterbug Smart smartphones have a simple navigation menu that is accessible when you power up or unlock your device. Both phones in the GreatCall Jitterbug suite are lightweight and easy to use.

• Jitterbug Smart: Jitterbug Smartphones have a powerful speakerphone, long-lasting battery and bright, easy-to-read screens. Jitterbug Smart specs also include a flash camera, GPS, 8GB of storage capacity and Bluetooth capability. Through a Jitterbug Smart Health and Safety package, you get 5Star service, urgent care, GreatCall Link, plus services like The Wellness Call, MedCoach and Daily Health Tips.
  • Jitterbug Smart2: The Jitterbug Smart2 has an easy-to-use navigation menu with a 5.5-inch color display, front-facing speakerphone, access to the Internet, GPS and voice typing capabilities. It includes a 13MP camera and has 16GB of storage to help capture and keep precious moments. The phone's usage meter tracks minutes and data to monitor for any overages. Jitterbug Smart 2 Health and Safety packages come with all the same services as the Jitterbug Smart.

Jitterbug Smartphone apps and services

GreatCall provides all of its Jitterbug Smartphones with health and safety packages that include the 5Star Urgent Response Service. Additional apps and services may include:

• Urgent Care: Included in some health and safety packages, Urgent Care service and its companion app sends personalized advice from doctors and nurses. If needed, health professionals can give you prescriptions over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: GreatCall link is included in any Health and Safety package, and allows caregivers to stay informed about your health and safety at a glance.
  • GreatCall Rides: Lift has teamed up with GreatCall to offer GreatCall Rides for any phones using a Health and Safety package. Simply dialing “0” will get you in touch with an operator who will book a ride for you.
  • Brain Games: Specially designed to keep aging brains fit, the free Brain Games app comes preloaded on your Jitterbug Smart2. It helps improve memory through games that are not only challenging but fun.
  • Personal Operator: A feature of the Ultimate Health and Safety plan, the personal operator gets you in touch with a live agent who can help with tasks like finding addresses and phone numbers.
  • The Wellness Call: A free service with any Health and Safety plan, wellness expert Dr. Brian Alman sends a weekly motivational call to your phone.
  • The Check-in Call: Part of a Health and Safety package, users get an automated daily call to check on their well-being.
  • Product Replacement: If their phone is broken, stolen or lost, Ultimate Health and Safety users get the benefit of one replacement every 12 months for only $25.

Jitterbug Smartphone plans

Jitterbug Smartphone plans are as affordable as $14.99 per month for 250 minutes, or users can opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month. Jitterbug Smart offers three Health & Safety Packages depending on your needs and activity level.

Jitterbug BasicJitterbug PreferredJitterbug Ultimate
Cost per month$19.99$24.99$34.99
Jitterbug Basic$19.99
Jitterbug Preferred$24.99
Jitterbug Ultimate$34.99

How does Jitterbug Smart work?

Calling for help with Jitterbug Smart is as simple as pressing the 5Star button always displayed on the phone. Once connected, an emergency response operator confirms your location. Then, the 5Star agent dispatches emergency personnel, roadside assistance, a locksmith, or a close family member for aid. While this is in progress, the agent makes sure to stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

Jitterbug Smart Reviews

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Bought this phone Dec 2019. Had volume issues but realized the volume control was on low. Then I accidentally erased a few apps trying to move them off the HOME screen, not knowing what I was doing, lol. Jitterbug helped me with these problems & got everything back on for me. I needed to read instructions first (which I found just as easy as using the phone)! I only wish the plans had better options & $10.00 cheaper for our plan we got. I am very happy & satisfied with the phone, it is just SO EASY TO USE. I use the text a lot & never had a problem with things automatically erasing (like a reviewing did), or any other of those problems, sorry they did. I have no problems, in fact I found out how to do a certain task with it - that the Jitterbug people said was 'impossible'. lol. I really like it, my husband has one too & is just as happy with his.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Several points: You FIRST need to know this: a brief press of the power button puts the device into what PC’s call “sleep mode”, whereas holding it down for the right amount of time turns it off, but holding it down for too long seems to turn it off and turn it on again. If this is the first device you have used that has a touch screen, getting accustomed to the device will take some time. Battery needs more frequent recharging than a dumb phone (e.g., the LG-470). I like the device and its tech support. It does well its intended purposes: phone calls, texts, receiving emails, taking pictures and sending them. If you want to surf the internet or construct documents, no smartphone on earth will work, you need a tablet, Chromebook or PC.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I was afraid to use a Smartphone until I saw the Jitterbug Smart Phone 2 in action. I had a screen protector installed at Staples and haven't missed a beat. Although I'm admittedly ignorant when it come to technology, I'd recommend Jitterbug Smartphone 2, to people of all ages... It does everything I need and much, much more. The screen is huge and instructions are user friendly. I bought mine from Best Buy for only $74.95...

Original review: March 25, 2019

When I get a call in the car, I cannot hear the caller very well because the volume is so low. I tried raising the volume on the radio (which worked great with the Jitterbug flip phone) but to no avail. I also raised the volume all the way up on the phone volume control (again, no luck). Please help!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Alan, we are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Jitterbug phone. In order to raise the volume on your Jitterbug Smart phone, you may Tap on the top half of the volume button on the right-hand side of your phone. If you are still having issues with being able to hear the phone ring, I would recommend changing the ringtone. If you need any further assistance please call Customer Service between 5AM and 8PM, Pacific Standard Time.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

We purchased this phone for my mother who turns 90 this year and was starting to have challenges with her iPhone. So we bought a Smart2 thinking it would be a friendlier alternative. We were mistaken. Example: in order to place a phone call to a stored "contact," starting at the Home screen, it takes 6 screen taps before the target phone starts ringing. The iPhone took 2. There are no speed dials and the menu tree doesn't really translate well to a 90-year old who grew up in simpler times. Further, the buttons are cumbersome and it's easy for an elderly person, slowing down, to accidentally press and hold the wrong one. So she was constantly turning the ringer volume off or bringing up the "reboot" menu. As far as the main interface, she was constantly getting caught in the "Options" menu as well.

The pricing is also super expensive. You pay for the 5-Star service, then you pay for voice, then you pay for texts, then you pay for data. By the time we finished we were in the $70 a month range after tax (but we could have paid more!). The phone uses Verizon as a carrier. In her part of town, Verizon is not the best carrier choice. On the pro side: as long as she had the expensive thing with her, we could track her. So we decided to try their Flip phone. We'll let you know how that works.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Allen, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with the Jitterbug Smart 2 phone. We would like to thank you for your feedback, as we are always looking for better ways to improve our products. We will pass your comments to our Development Team for future improvements. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits, starting at $17.48, before taxes, for the Jitterbug Smart 2 phone. We are happy to hear that you have chosen to try the Jitterbug Flip phone, we hope that this phone best fits your needs. If you need any assistance or have any questions, please call us at 1-800-733-6632 between 5am – 10pm, Pacific Time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Well, it’s been five days since we bought and activated a phone, and we e. Even online with service five times, three with a supervisor, trying to get number ported from another carrier. They did not ask for or submit complete information - twice - but didn’t tell us port has been rejected until we found out they had not asked us for all the info needed. One of the customer service supervisors admitted that CS had “failed.” Yet here we are, without a fully submitted/ accepted port request for my 84 year old mother in law, and after untold hours trying to get to the bottom of it all. I’d give them a zero if you let me.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Robert, we are sorry to hear you encountered a problem and we would like to assist you further. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

First of all, it doesn't always do what I want it to do. I accidentally hit the *5 button. Operator came on but couldn't hear me when I tried to tell her was an accident. Most concerning, the way it sucks the life out of the battery. 99% at bedtime, checked in the AM 40%. I didn't check in the morning one time, was downtown at twilight and was horrified to discover when I checked that the battery was at 1%. What if I had had a car breakdown? Stuck downtown after dark and no way to call AAA? That's dangerous. It's not a pleasure to use. Every time I do, puts me in a bad mood for hours. I HATE it. ANDROID is a vile, stinky OS. I think I'll throw away the $100+ I spent on the wretched thing, buy an iPhone. I am a Mac user/Apple platform person. I really made a mistake in not sticking with Apple products. The refurbished iPhones sold at Target should work just fine,.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Alice, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. If you have not already done so, please call our Customer Service team at 1-800-733-6632, for assistance. Our Customer Service department is available between 5am and 10pm Pacific Time.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Won’t capitalize first letter when texting even though there is a setting to do so. Cannot forward texts to others. Cannot access voice mail from another telephone. “Notes” disappear. Sometimes won’t allow me to answer the phone. The incoming call screen goes blank but the phone keeps ringing. I had a Jitterbug Smart before this Smart 2 and it was a much better phone, easy to use. It seems as tough my Smart 2 was a beta version, untested.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Stephanie, we are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Jitterbug Smart 2 phone. The phone was designed for simplicity and in doing so, there are limitations on what we can do on the phone. To capitalize a letter, there is an Upward arrow on the left-hand side of the letter 'Z." We would recommend contacting our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM – 10PM, Pacific Time, on another phone, for further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

This company and its phone are probably the worst on the market for seniors, or anyone who is considering them. We've had two Jitterbug Smart phones since 2017. The first phone lasted a year, then just died. So, we called and asked if there were any discounts on new phones and they gave us a hefty discount on a Smart 2. 97 days later it gave us a message that it was "Corrupted". GreatCall said it was 7 days out of warranty so they could not provide another phone unless we purchased another. All the so-called technical help would not get the phone working again. 97 days!!! To top it off, because we cancelled the account only days after making a payment, they do not provide a credit for the 20+ days we have left in the payment period (you pay ahead for future service, not for past service). So, crappy phones and they steal your money if you cancel. Not a "Great" company.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Raymond, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Smart phone. We would like to review your account further. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional information.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Bought a Jitterbug smart phone for my Mother-In-Law Xmas 2017. She was intimidated but we finally got her to agree to try it. Called Greatcall and they said they no longer service this phone and transferred us to the sales dept to buy a new one! What in the??? Feels like you are taking advantage of Senior Citizens. No other phone company would not service a phone that is less than 2 years old! Bought the phone through Amazon so we can't return at this point. My hope is that Greatcall will make this right!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Leigh, we apologize for the recent experience you had with trying to activate your Jitterbug Smart phone. Due to system updates, we are no longer able to activate this phone. We may be able eligible for a discounted Jitterbug Smart2 phone. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632, between 5am and 10pm Pacific time, so we can further assist you in this matter.

Jitterbug Smart accessories

GreatCall offers Jitterbug Smart and Jitterbug Smart 2 accessories for extra charging options, screen protection and more.

Extra Wall Charger

The charger is compatible with both Jitterbug Smartphone devices and costs $19.99.

Car Charger

The Jitterbug Smart charger cable stretches from 12 to 40 inches and works with both Jitterbug Smartphones. Cost is $24.99.

Glass Screen Protector

This protects your Jitterbug Smart2’s screen for $9.99.

Wallet Folio Case

For $24.99, combine your Jitterbug Smartphone case and your wallet into one with GreatCall’s Wallet Folio Case.

Gel Case

Available in red, blue and clear, GreatCall’s gel cases protect your Jitterbug Smartphone from scratches. Prices range from $5 to $19.99.

Bluetooth Headset

Bluetooth lets you have conversations on Jitterbug Smart devices without having to take out your device. GreatCall’s Bluetooth Headset costs $49.99.

Jitterbug Smart caregiver tools

You can keep an eye on your aging loved ones without being intrusive through Jitterbugs Smart's GreatCall Link app. View your family member's phone battery status, location, and activities to make sure they are keeping up with important routine tasks. You'll also receive a notification if 5Start Urgent Response is used. Depending on your plan choice, you can even speak to a nurse or board-certified doctor without an appointment, no matter the time of day.

Jitterbug Smart monitoring center

Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers are located throughout the United States. With the touch of a button, you'll immediately connect with a US-based IAED-certified agent who can dispatch help. Multilingual operators are available, and there are over 200 languages spoken.

Your location is obtained through GPS and shared with EMTs. Any information you have available in your personal profile, such as medications and allergies, is shared with medical personnel.

Jitterbug Smart FAQ

Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Smart?
    No, Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Smart.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smart medical alert system?
    No, you do not have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smartphone.
    What is Jitterbug Smart’s return policy?
    Jitterbug has a 30-day refund policy. GreatCall will refund your money, less restocking fees, within that period; however, if you’ve used more than 30 minutes of talk time, you will be responsible for the first month of service.
    What is Jitterbug Smart’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel Jitterbug Smart without fees at any time.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Jitterbug Smart monitoring service?
    Yes, but GreatCall does provide discounts on shared Jitterbug Smart plans. Contact GreatCall Jitterbug customer service for more details.
    Where are Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers located?
    Jitterbug Smart connects to several centers dispersed throughout the United States.
    Do Jitterbug Smart emergency response services require a landline?
    No, 5Star Urgent response is accessed on the Jitterbug smartphone.
    Does Jitterbug Smart offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    A Jitterbug Smart device replacement option can be added to any plan for a small monthly fee. If you have a problem with your device, Jitterbug phone troubleshooting is available through GreatCall customer service.
    Does Jitterbug Smart offer a free trial period?
    No, Jitterbug Smart does not offer a free trial period.
    Are Jitterbug Smart medical alert systems waterproof?
    No, Jitterbug Smart devices are not waterproof.
    How much does Jitterbug Smart cost?
    The price of a Jitterbug Smart2 is $112.49, and users can select plans as low as $14.99 (250 minutes), or opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Smart?

Yes. GreatCall excels at creating and designing mobile and safety products that help give aging adults the continued freedom and independence they crave. There are Jitterbug phone reviews cons — like some of their best features are only available through a Health and Safety package — but it could be worth it for the value those plans provide.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information