4.0/5 (993 ratings)
Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

About Jitterbug Smart

Lively’s Jitterbug Smart3 is a smartphone for older adults. This phone can help you or your loved one summon help in an emergency and stay connected with family and friends. It’s simple to use and has an easy-to-navigate menu, voice typing and video chat. A variety of accessories and add-on health and safety services are available to enhance your experience.

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Pros

• Customer service is 100% U.S.-based
    • Uses Verizon’s cell network
    • No annual contracts

Cons

• Not waterproof
    • No fall detection

Bottom Line

Lively’s Jitterbug Smart3 is a smartphone device that quickly summons help during emergencies. It's not waterproof, but customers can keep their existing phone number and don't have to sign a long-term contract.

Top Jitterbug Smart Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Verified

Verified

I liked that the Jitterbug is big. I can see the numbers and use them, too. The numbers on the other phone we had are too small. I give the Jitterbug to my wife to carry around fo...

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

What is Jitterbug Smart3?

The Jitterbug Smart3 is a simple smartphone designed with interactive emergency solutions for active aging adults. The Jitterbug Smart3 comes with a large, intuitive display that’s easy to use. It also has a long-lasting battery and a powerful speaker that helps with sound clarity. The Jitterbug Smart3 features an Urgent Response button that contacts Lively’s available service and immediately connects you with trained personnel to assist in an emergency.

The Jitterbug Smart3 health and safety packages include text and talk time, a personal operator, caregiver access to wellness information and two-way communication with trained emergency agents. The Jitterbug Smart3 smartphone uses the Verizon wireless network and can be activated on Lively’s website or through customer support.

How does Jitterbug Smart3 work?

Calling for help with Jitterbug Smart3 is as simple as pressing the Urgent Response button, which is always displayed on the phone. Once connected, an emergency response operator confirms your location. The agent then dispatches emergency personnel, roadside assistance, a locksmith or a close family member for aid. While this is in progress, the agent makes sure to stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

Jitterbug Smart3 device

Jitterbug Smart3 smartphones have a simple navigation menu that’s accessible when you power up or unlock your device. Jitterbug phones are lightweight and easy to use.

The Jitterbug Smart3 has an easy-to-use navigation menu with a 6.2-inch color display, front-facing speakerphone, internet access, GPS and voice-typing capabilities. It includes a 13-megapixel camera and has 16 gigabytes of storage to help capture and keep precious moments. The phone's usage meter tracks minutes and data to monitor for any overages.

With a Jitterbug Smart3 Health and Safety package, you can also get urgent response and urgent care service, Lively Link and more.

Jitterbug Smart3 apps and services

Lively’s Jitterbug smartphone users can choose from its Health and Safety packages to get Urgent Response service. Additional apps and services may include:

• Urgent care: Included in some of the safety packages, urgent care service and its companion app send personalized advice from doctors and nurses. If needed, health professionals can give you prescriptions over the phone.
    • Lively Link: Lively Link is included in all of the safety packages. It helps caregivers to stay informed about your health and safety at a glance.
    • Lively Rides: Lyft has teamed up with Livey to offer Lively Rides for those who select a Health and Safety package. Simply dialing “0” will get you in touch with an operator who can book a ride for you.
    • Brain games: Specially designed to keep aging brains fit, the free Brain Games app comes preloaded on your Jitterbug Smart3. It helps improve memory through games that are not only challenging but also fun.
    • Personal operator: A feature of the Ultimate Health and Safety plan, the personal operator gets you in touch with a live agent who can help with tasks like finding addresses and phone numbers.

Jitterbug Smart3 plans and pricing

Jitterbug Smart3 plans are as affordable as $14.99 per month for 300 minutes. Users can also select plans with unlimited talk and text for $19.99 per month with data plans as low as $2.49 per month. Jitterbug Smart3 also has three safety packages to suit your needs and activity level.

Jitterbug BasicJitterbug PreferredJitterbug Ultimate
    Urgent Response
    Lively Link
    Personal operator
    Cost per month$19.99*$24.99*$34.99*

*As of the time of publication

Jitterbug Basic$19.99
    Jitterbug Preferred$24.99
    Jitterbug Ultimate$34.99

Jitterbug Smart3 accessories

Lively offers Jitterbug Smart3 accessories for extra charging options, screen protection and more.

Jitterbug Smart3 caregiver tools

You can keep an eye on your aging loved ones without being intrusive with Jitterbug Smart3's Lively Link app. View your family member's phone battery status, location and activities to make sure they’re keeping up with important routine tasks. You'll also receive a notification if they use Urgent Response.

Specific plans let you speak to a nurse or board-certified doctor without an appointment, no matter the time of day.

Jitterbug Smart3 monitoring center

Jitterbug Smart3 monitoring centers are located throughout the United States. With the touch of a button, you'll immediately connect with a U.S.-based, IAED-certified agent who can dispatch help. Multilingual operators are available, with over 190 languages altogether.

Lively gets your location through GPS and shares it with EMTs. Any information you have available in your personal profile, such as medications and allergies, will be shared with medical personnel.

Jitterbug Smart3 FAQ

Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Smart3?

No, Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Smart.

Do I have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smart3 medical alert system?

No, you do not have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug smartphone.

What is Jitterbug Smart’s return policy?

Jitterbug has a 30-day refund policy. GreatCall will refund your money, minus restocking fees, within that period; however, if you’ve used more than 30 minutes of talk time, you will be responsible for the first month of service.

What is Jitterbug Smart’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel a Jitterbug Smart3 plan without fees at any time.

Does it cost extra to add my spouse to a Jitterbug Smart3 monitoring service?

Yes, but GreatCall does mention discounts on shared Jitterbug Smart3 plans. Contact GreatCall Jitterbug customer service for more details.

Where are Jitterbug Smart3 monitoring centers located?

The Jitterbug Smart3 connects to several centers dispersed throughout the United States.

Do Jitterbug Smart3 emergency response services require a landline?

No, you can contact Urgent Response through the Jitterbug smartphone.

Does Jitterbug Smart offer a warranty on medical alert devices?

A Jitterbug Smart3 device replacement option can be added to any plan for a small monthly fee. If you have a problem with your device, Jitterbug phone troubleshooting is available through GreatCall customer service.

Does Jitterbug Smart offer a free trial period?

Jitterbug Smart does not offer a free trial period.

Are Jitterbug Smart3 medical alert systems waterproof?

Jitterbug Smart3 devices are not waterproof.

How much does Jitterbug Smart3 cost?

The price of a Jitterbug Smart3 is $149.99, and users can select plans as low as $14.99 (300 minutes) or unlimited talk and text for $19.99 per month with data plans starting at $2.49 per month.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Smart3?

Yes. Lively excels at creating and designing mobile and safety products that help give aging adults the continued freedom and independence they may crave. There are Jitterbug phone review cons — like some of their best features are only available through their Health and Safety packages — but it could be worth it for the value those plans provide.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Original review: April 10, 2022

I purchased this phone from Amazon and I made a 20 minute call then I was billed for $110 so I returned the and didn't pay the bill either. They have billed me a couple more times and the bill went up to $139 then the next bill $160. I never agreed to these outrageous amounts so I'm ignoring these bills and they will NOT GET PAID!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I purchased a Jitterbug Flip phone from Rite Aid for about $100. I am not a technical person and only bought this phone because there are no payphones around anymore. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a cellphone at all. I am disappointed with the hidden fess added on to my monthly bill. It is about $10 more than my advertised plan each month. This is really hard for people on a fixed income. I am sorry I bought it, but now I have so much money invested in it, I will keep it. Otherwise, I really like this phone. It is easy to use.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Renee, we are sorry to hear you are not completely satisfied and we appreciate your feedback. We do offer a variety of plan to meet your needs and we would like to look into this further, please look for a private response from us.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I purchased the Jitterbug 3 for my Mom's use under T-Mobile. I was unaware that the Jitterbug products only work with the Lively subscription plan. T-Mobile paired the phone and some features worked while other didn't. When finally speaking with a Customer Support Rep, the Rep told my Mom that since she was not a Lively customer "they were too busy to assist her and they didn't have time to deal with her".

Rude, just plain and simple, rude! If Lively wants new customers to buy into their plan, why treat potential customers this way. We will return the phone to Best Buy and secure a refund then purchase a new phone that will work with her current plan. Why would a provider that caters to Senior Citizens treat them so poorly? Clearly, Lively operates off profits and money vs. care and compassions and patience for our elderly. I was excited to use the Jitterbug due to its reputation and simplicity for our elders, but I will never recommend this to anyone since they only seem to care about their profits and their Customer Service Reps are horrible.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Debbie, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Very honest company, recommended them to my friends and family. Quick service, I support any seniors buying this phone, Great for seniors, great service. Thank you so much. Great calls. Easy phone to use.

Original review: April 1, 2021

This one's sort of a no-brainer. The LARGE SCREEN and EASY VISIBILITY of the Jitterbug Smartphone make this THE phone you want to have in an emergency -- when you might not have the ability or the attention to look at tiny type.

Original review: March 18, 2021

It is ok. Used for a bit and it served the purpose but it was to simple for me. Need more features, Little more in depth stuff. Probably good for a very simple application. If you are looking for extremely simple this is probably your solution.

Original review: March 17, 2021

My husband got this going for me since he works during the day and he is afraid something will happen to me. He and I are very happy with this service. It is a great peace of mind. I would recommend this to anyone needing peace of mind also.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I have owned the Jitterbug Smart Phone 2 for one year. In that time the phone has worked as I expected except for the phone message device. Approximately 6 months after purchase the phone ceased taking messages. I had to ask friends to use the text service instead to insure that I would get vital messages. With advanced arthritis, texting is difficult for me. Twice I have called the Smartphone2 support services for repair of the messaging device. Both times technical help worked with me for approximately 2 hours to restore the messaging service. Neither time was successful. Now I have requested support a third time. This tech tells me I need to have a second phone in use in order for her to offer support.

I am on social security. I can't afford a second phone to fix the first phone! I am told I am not able to have my phone replaced, as per warranty, unless I have the third support person make an attempt to fix my phone. My conclusion is that this phone is a bad option for seniors who are on limited income as support service for the phone is virtually useless. You will be taken to the cleaner on this product.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Ann, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I've been with Greatcalls 5 years using the Samsung Jitterbug Touch3 that I loved. I've only been using this Alcatel Jitterbug Smart2 for 3 weeks now, but activation did not go as I thought as NOTHING came over from my Samsung Jitterbug Touch3 as I was promised (so much for the Cloud), I had to reload Apps, set up all of my contacts, copy pictures from old to new phone, etc. And setup all of the emails I had on the Samsung touch3. (Not sure why they ditched Samsung for Alcatel).

Also, if you do not use Gmail greatcalls is not so willing to assist you with set up other emails. I was having issues with Yahoo and Exchange Outlook (my work email) setup and syncing up real time. I am grateful for the experienced customer service Mike and Rick as after customer service logged into my phone they did assist me with getting Yahoo email working on the Yahoo app and then Outlook exchange using Gmail. After updates were applied to Gmail it was finally syncing in real time.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Purchased for a elderly friend that need to get rid of her land land because of price. I call Great Call and set her up with what we thought was unlimited talk and no text for 19.99 a month. Her first bill was 200 dollars. When she called they said she went over her 250 minutes. So obviously they do not tell the truth with the packages and she had to up her plan to 45 dollars a month to get more minutes. I will report to AARP and consumer services and Attorney General and whomever will listen. IT IS NOT RIGHT FOR GREATCALL AND JITTER BUG TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ELDERLY CITIZENS.... SHAME ON THEM.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Doreen, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details.

Find a Medical Alert System partner near you.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information