Call toll free
4.02/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart2 is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart2 has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart2 into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart2 phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Jitterbug Smart2 Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart is a smartphone device that quickly summons help during emergencies. It's not waterproof, but customers can keep their existing phone number and don't have to sign a long-term contract.

PROS

• Customer service is 100% US-based
  • Cell service is powered by Verizon cellular network
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Not waterproof
  • No fall detection

Top Jitterbug Smart Reviews

09/20/2018

I am a senior citizen and I wanted to go to a smartphone so I got a Jitterbug phone. I enjoy using it and I have the less expensive program I can have. I like Jitterbug very much and would recommend it to someone else.

11/24/2018

What is Jitterbug Smart?

The Jitterbug Smart is a simple smartphone designed with interactive emergency solutions for active aging adults. The Jitterbug Smart comes with a large, intuitive display that is easy to use. It also has a long-lasting battery and a powerful speaker that helps deliver sound clarity. Integrated with every smartphone is GreatCall’s 5Star app — a service that immediately connects you with trained personnel to assist in an emergency.

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart health and safety packages include text and talk time, a personal operator, caregiver access to wellness information and two-way communication to trained emergency agents. Jitterbug Smart smartphones use the Verizon wireless network and can be activated on GreatCall's website or through their customer support.

Jitterbug Smart devices

Jitterbug Smart smartphones have a simple navigation menu that is accessible when you power up or unlock your device. Both phones in the GreatCall Jitterbug suite are lightweight and easy to use.

• Jitterbug Smart: Jitterbug Smartphones have a powerful speakerphone, long-lasting battery and bright, easy-to-read screens. Jitterbug Smart specs also include a flash camera, GPS, 8GB of storage capacity and Bluetooth capability. Through a Jitterbug Smart Health and Safety package, you get 5Star service, urgent care, GreatCall Link, plus services like The Wellness Call, MedCoach and Daily Health Tips.
  • Jitterbug Smart2: The Jitterbug Smart2 has an easy-to-use navigation menu with a 5.5-inch color display, front-facing speakerphone, access to the Internet, GPS and voice typing capabilities. It includes a 13MP camera and has 16GB of storage to help capture and keep precious moments. The phone's usage meter tracks minutes and data to monitor for any overages. Jitterbug Smart 2 Health and Safety packages come with all the same services as the Jitterbug Smart.

Jitterbug Smartphone apps and services

GreatCall provides all of its Jitterbug Smartphones with health and safety packages that include the 5Star Urgent Response Service. Additional apps and services may include:

• Urgent Care: Included in some health and safety packages, Urgent Care service and its companion app sends personalized advice from doctors and nurses. If needed, health professionals can give you prescriptions over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: GreatCall link is included in any Health and Safety package, and allows caregivers to stay informed about your health and safety at a glance.
  • GreatCall Rides: Lift has teamed up with GreatCall to offer GreatCall Rides for any phones using a Health and Safety package. Simply dialing “0” will get you in touch with an operator who will book a ride for you.
  • Brain Games: Specially designed to keep aging brains fit, the free Brain Games app comes preloaded on your Jitterbug Smart2. It helps improve memory through games that are not only challenging but fun.
  • Personal Operator: A feature of the Ultimate Health and Safety plan, the personal operator gets you in touch with a live agent who can help with tasks like finding addresses and phone numbers.
  • The Wellness Call: A free service with any Health and Safety plan, wellness expert Dr. Brian Alman sends a weekly motivational call to your phone.
  • The Check-in Call: Part of a Health and Safety package, users get an automated daily call to check on their well-being.
  • Product Replacement: If their phone is broken, stolen or lost, Ultimate Health and Safety users get the benefit of one replacement every 12 months for only $25.

Jitterbug Smartphone plans

Jitterbug Smartphone plans are as affordable as $14.99 per month for 250 minutes, or users can opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month. Jitterbug Smart offers three Health & Safety Packages depending on your needs and activity level.

Jitterbug BasicJitterbug PreferredJitterbug Ultimate
Cost per month$19.99$24.99$34.99
Jitterbug Basic$19.99
Jitterbug Preferred$24.99
Jitterbug Ultimate$34.99

How does Jitterbug Smart work?

Calling for help with Jitterbug Smart is as simple as pressing the 5Star button always displayed on the phone. Once connected, an emergency response operator confirms your location. Then, the 5Star agent dispatches emergency personnel, roadside assistance, a locksmith, or a close family member for aid. While this is in progress, the agent makes sure to stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

959 Jitterbug Smart Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

People spend a lot of money on cell phones now but I got mine next to nothing. I’m not gonna spend $1,000 for a phone. I know that the Jitterbug’s are sold at Best Buy right ahead and a couple other places so I went down a little for a ride and explored. There’s this Jitterbug for 150 bucks. I had the salesman on the phone who said, “If you actually wanna do it today, instead of waiting to make up your mind I’ll sell it to you for 75 bucks." So I got my phone for $75 and this phone could do a lot of stuff.

I went from having a little flip phone for a million years and I got a lot of pressure from my daughter. She said I got to have the opportunity to do the texting back and forth and she can send me pictures. The Jitterbug phone is a wealth of information. I’ve been looking for a new car and I've been using my phone to do my car shopping. I haven’t got a computer so everything I do with it, a lot of it I’ve just learned myself. I enjoy my Jitterbug phone.

I called somebody after, when I first got the phone, because there was no screen protector in it. It said there was on the checklist and I got it a couple of days later. When you’re dealing with a Jitterbug version with the Samsung 8 or Samsung 9 you’re gonna pay an arm and leg for it. Everybody’s got them including my grandkids. I’ve got this cheaper phone, but they think my phone is really cool because it’s got a bigger screen on it than theirs. I’m 72 years old, so I’m not getting any younger. Some of my friends have been stuck in the rut for a long time so I’ve shared my experience with my phone. They do not have a phone of this kind. It is kind of a smartphone, but Jitterbug got a damn better offer in it. My friends are now looking at buying one.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I’m a senior citizen and I didn’t have any knowledge at all about smartphones. Jitterbug advertises that it's one of the easiest, and my husband went to Best Buy and spoke to them. They concurred that it would be the easiest one to learn on. However, I had trouble in the beginning as I kept getting calls. I'm in an area code 631 and they gave me a 516. There was some person's name that took up the whole screen across, and when I would call my grandchildren, the customer ID would come up as this name so they didn't know it was me.

I called Jitterbug and after speaking to several technicians, their conclusion was they cannot change the caller ID and that they must change the phone number. Unfortunately, I had put in all the information of everyone I knew with addresses, home phone numbers and cellphone numbers, and all that was erased. They had to give me a new phone number. I still couldn’t get my area code, and I am still getting phone calls from 516. But now, I know. If I don’t know who you are, I’m not answering it. There were certain things that got me very frustrated, but I’m starting to get the knack of it. I love texting with the Jitterbug. That's all that my grandchildren do and I've learned how to do it. They send me pictures and I store them, and that's what I really like about it. The phone is also available if I need it for an emergency.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Placed the order by phone and waited about a week. Called the number that comes with the phone to initiate the service and no one answers after 6 minutes. Tried a second time and same. Called a different number, one from their website, to transfer my old number over to the new phone. Transferred about six (6) times before I got someone that knew what they were doing. Finally got a woman on the line named Brittany who was patient, understood the problem and was knowledgeable. It did take a while dealing with another carrier but she got me connected, checked to make sure it was working and was very gracious.

I suggest that if you do get a Smartphone 2 and have problems be patient and get the right person to set your phone up. The phone works great. The instructions that came with the phone (and any that are online) fail to tell what size extra memory card and how to install it. I transferred one from a Galaxy S3 with 32 GB over and kept all my audiobooks, pictures, music. The Bluetooth connected to an earpiece and my car with no problem. I do recommend that if you are having trouble setting up just keep asking to be transferred to someone else. There are people working there that know what they're doing.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I needed a cell phone for safety reasons. When I was listening on TV, the ad said a Jitterbug was so easy to use. Furthermore, I have several friends with phones who told me that if I got a Jitterbug, they would tell me how to use it. Eventually, I got one but none of them ever told me how to use it. I tried to use it myself but then it goes by itself somewhere else and I don't know how to get it back. Currently, I only use the phone I have for its emergency button. I'm older and I might not be able to learn how to use the device over the phone. Somebody sitting beside me and explaining to me how to use it would be better. Even so, I'm paying for the phone despite the fact that I'm not using it, so I'm thinking of canceling. Nevertheless, if I could use it, it's a good cell phone to have.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Sylvia, we do offer How-to-Videos which are available at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzDwpIWlAv1VvxcSlLLuP5Bfo3ppX7--P or you may call into our Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632 between 5 am – 8 pm PST, to request a DVD. In addition, our Customer Service Representatives can help you get us to your phone and walk you through any questions you may have.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I've heard that Jitterbug Smart is really good and simple, and I tried it out because I have never gotten one of these things before. I love what I can do so far and I know there's so much more that I can do with it. I'm 72 and it's easy to read the big screen. I'm not using everything I know it can do because I don't know how yet. I mostly use it for my Bible study and lessons that I have to do because I can get them on the phone. But I want to learn how to get on the internet and look up things. And now that I'm learning pretty good how to install that stuff up, I want to go a little further. I went to the library and they were helping me with it, and then I got sick and had to miss some of my lessons so I've been playing with the phone on my own. I also need to learn how to find the medical help if I need it since I'm alone. The phone seems to be a good way to keep in touch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been a Greatcall customer for many years. Started when all they had were flip phones and then got a smartphone 1 when they 1st came out. I now have the smartphone 2 and it's a total piece of crap phone. If my screen on my smart one was not cracked I would still be using it. I have no internet connection. It saves all photos even the ones that are texted making me go into the photos and delete them after every text with photos attached. When having a text conversation it will delete the conversation at random. You cannot start a group text. You can be in one if someone else starts one but you can't start one yourself. In a group text it doesn't tell you what other person is texting. My last greatcall smartphone used to have the persons name or number to let you know how is texting in the group.

What you get a voice message the voicemail box gets a red check in it. When you tap on the message box the next screen opens and tells you you don't have any new messages. You do you have to call the voicemail to get it. Blocking unwanted calls is total hell to do. You have to go through so many steps just to block a number and to block a number you have to write the number down because you’re so far away from the phone home screen you will not remember the number you’re looking to block. What I have listed are just a few of the problems with the greatcall Smart2 phone I'm having. The only good about the smart two is the screen size is bigger. In short this new smart2 phone is much worse than the Smart1 phone.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello David, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Smart2 phone and we appreciate your feedback. To go through troubleshooting please contact Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, Monday – Sunday.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I am so disappointed in the Jitterbug Flip Phone. I purchased it for my 97 year old mom and the bottom line Is that the audio crackles and you cannot understand

what either party is saying. I called customer service and they said they were having a software issue with the cell tower. Why in the world would a legitimate company sell a phone that doesn’t work. It’s a shame cause mom really likes the big numbers and ease of use.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Larry, we’re sorry to hear that you are affected by this issue. Our engineers are working with our network partners to resolve the problem. Please contact our customer service for updates soon.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Don’t Buy this phone. This phone is impossible to use, and just as impossible to figure out. A senior citizen will be completely lost with this phone. Going from an iPhone to this phone is like trying to learn a new language.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi William, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Smart2 cell phone and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall designed the easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. The Jitterbug Smart is an Android v7.0 smartphone and as often happens when changing from an iPhone to an Android, there will be an adjustment period, as they operate on different platforms. Additionally, GreatCall offers helpful how to videos to assist users with the phone and they can be viewed on our website.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The Jitterbug Smartphone was the worst purchase I have made for my 87-year-old mother. She needed a phone to make and receive simple calls and maybe snap a picture. The amount of decisions she needs to make on this phone to place a phone call to a stored contact is too much! She is already having issues, why could Jitterbug not come up with a simple button to call with and then maybe a choice from a 'favorite contact' list or even provide a simple keypad? Cancelling after 3 months of Mom not touching it due to too many complications in trying to answer a simple phone call--omg do some research on what seniors need and what they are capable of using as they enter various phases of dementia--at last look at the Apple and android models and use these as a baseline!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Tanya, we are sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Smart 2 phone. GreatCall designed the easy to use menu to help users become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. The Jitterbug Smart 2 has the Google Assist feature that can be enabled by pressing and holding the home button. Once enabled you may say "call (contact name)" and the call is automatically connected. We also offer helpful how to videos available on our website, to help our customer's get familiar with the phone.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Do not get the Jitterbug or GreatCall service. Set it up for my grandmother and when we initially tested, we thought she was holding it too close to her mouth because the sound quality was distorted and cut off the ends of sentences. Turns out, no matter how she holds it, the voice quality is horrible. Not sure if it's a GreatCall network problem or a problem with the mic on the phone itself. But it makes it absolutely impossible to hold a conversation. Very very bad. I'd say bordering on elder fraud. Much better off with one of the large carriers, and not much price difference if you end up adding their 5Star option.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello George, we apologize to hear of your experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you have not done so, please call Customer Service, between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Standard Time, seven days a week, for further assistance.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Phone sounds very garbled to anyone who is called with it. Was purchased 2 days ago for my 92 year old mother & nobody can understand her. I call the 611 # and found out that these phones have an "issue" and that there should be a software upgrade in the next few weeks to correct this. Was very disappointed to hear this as a product being sold is "defective" in a way. If it's not corrected within a month we will cancel & go back to the old flip phone.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Lyle, we apologize to hear of your experience and we appreciate your feedback. After you receive the software update, if you need further assistance, please call Customer Service, between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Standard Time, seven days a week.

Original review: April 13, 2019

While I was in a casino at 4:00 a.m. 5Star woke my nephew who lives across town and told him told him there was an emergency at my apartment and a fire truck was on the way to my apartment. My neighbor was awakened and told me the firemen were about to break down my door. There was NO emergency. I had inadvertently hit the 5Star icon while at the casino, waited, and told 5Star it was a mistake.

WHY was emergency help contacted and sent? WHY were the firemen not told by 5Star where the key to my apartment is hidden? WHY did GreatCall tell me when I bought the phone that Emergency would be able to locate me within 15 feet of where I am at? Why was I told a Supervisor at Great Call would return my call within 2 or 3 business day, but did not do so? WHY after calling later and having 5Star removed from my phone am I now being told that if I press the button I will be directed to 911 immediately? I want that feature to be removed. PERMANENTLY!!

Original review: April 4, 2019

We bought a Jitterbug Smart Phone got my mother-in-law. We understood the cost per month would be around $25. The bills were around 35-40 for a person who doesn’t text, use the internet or send pictures. The phone was very confusing for the 84 year old. She was getting calls around 6:30 in the evening but they didn’t show up in her recent calls until around 6 or 7 the next morning. We finally gave up and switched her back to ATT. The Great Calls company had just drafted her account and won’t issue any refunds. Their phones are not intuitive and cannot be switched to a different carrier because they have no place for a SIM card. I recommend avoiding Great Calls. I recommend avoiding them.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello James, we are sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with you mother-in-law’s Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service and we will always take the time to understand each individual subscriber’s needs and usage requirements before we recommend a service plan and an estimate of the monthly service fee is provided, prior to completing the activation. GreatCall, provides a community of support for our products and services and our customer service team stands ready to assist any user that needs assistance in using their phone or encounters a problem. The monthly service is paid in advance and in a port out situation, once the port out completes, the account is automatically canceled as the number is no longer active with us. For any billing concerns, please call us between the hours of 5am and 8pm, Pacific Time. All Jitterbug cell phones and smartphones are unlocked per nationwide standards, but we cannot control which carriers choose to accept or activate our phones. Jitterbug phones were specifically designed to work on the GreatCall network which is powered by the nation’s largest and most dependable wireless network, with a variety of affordable plans. GreatCall’s award winning U.S. based support and 5Star emergency response service is only available on the GreatCall network.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Updated on 03/28/2019: I wrote a review yesterday giving the phone 3 stars, that was before I discovered customer service lied to my 78-year-old mother on the amount of refund, I bought her a phone for her birthday on March 5 of this yr, paid 176.47, that was for the 600-minute plan plus first months usage. We canceled the phone with only using it less than 2 weeks and 55 minutes later because whenever my mother called anyone, no one could hear her because the phone was distorted. When my mother canceled they told her there would be a 10 restocking fee and 10 dollars for something else.

Yesterday I discovered they refunded 109.24, my mother called today and gave the name of the person she had spoke to about refund and was told no one by that name works there, sorry. My mother has all her wits and is on top of all her own affairs, I feel Jitterbug is nothing more than a scam, very nice when you sign up and once you cancel due to poor quality of phone you're out a nice junk of change. We have since went with **, only cost us 45 dollars for unlimited minutes and first month is free, phone works great. STAY AWAY FROM JITTERBUG, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original Review: My mother is 78 yrs old and alone so I (her son) decided to purchase Jitterbug phone. The customer service was very good, she received her phone very quickly, it was very easy to use and she loved the big keys, the only problem was when she called anyone, her voice came across all scrambled and it was hard to make out what she was saying, she had the 600 minute plan and only used 55 of those minutes in frustration. I spoke with her and told her to cancel it, customer service tried to talk her into another phone and she declined, we were told there would be a 10 dollar restocking fee and another 10 dollars for something else that I can't remember, since I paid for the phone as a birthday gift am hoping it will be will be returned promptly.

In short, my mother loved the phone, and if it would have worked properly she would have kept it. When I read the reviews there were a lot of complaints about the quality of the phone, it's too bad because I think Jitterbug is a great concept but if you cannot hear the person calling from the Jitterbug phone, it's not going to be of much use, until they fix this problem. I would not purchase one.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Duaine, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We have sent you a private message to gather account information so we may further assist with the refund issue. We look forward to resolving the issue.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased two phones. The first phone had three design problems: 1) moderately poor quality sound, 2) the charger is "sided" so that older people with poor eyesight can easily plug it in wrong and damage the connector (ruining the phone); and 3) If you are right handed, it is almost unavoidable to accidentally press the volume control and turn down the phone. This affects the ringer volume and an older person may not be able to hear the phone ring. Then I purchased a second phone because the first would no longer charge due to issue #1. AND it somehow also lost the capability to be charged from the cradle. As an aside when you set the phone into the cradle to charge, the phone does not seat very well, and it is easy to miss seat the phone - which moves around.

But the worst part was that the sound quality on the new phone (both were purchased at Best Buy) was so bad that neither party can even understand each other -- so the phone is actually inoperable. This is dangerous for the older person to now be dependent on non-functional technology--purchased as communication tool. And even worse, the monthly payment (at $50) is twice as high as flip phones that actually work.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Steve, we are sorry you are experiencing low volume on your Jitterbug phone. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our products and Customer Service experience. We would recommend changing the ringtone to something that may be louder by pressing the button on the side of your phone. If this does not resolve this matter, please contact our Customer Service between 5AM and 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, to go through troubleshooting.

Original review: March 25, 2019

When I get a call in the car, I cannot hear the caller very well because the volume is so low. I tried raising the volume on the radio (which worked great with the Jitterbug flip phone) but to no avail. I also raised the volume all the way up on the phone volume control (again, no luck). Please help!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Alan, we are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Jitterbug phone. In order to raise the volume on your Jitterbug Smart phone, you may Tap on the top half of the volume button on the right-hand side of your phone. If you are still having issues with being able to hear the phone ring, I would recommend changing the ringtone. If you need any further assistance please call Customer Service between 5AM and 8PM, Pacific Standard Time.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We had to change service because Verizon towers do not cover our area adequately. The coverage maps are not detailed enough. We thought it was just at our house, but it was also in our whole area--50-60 miles. We had a few times when it was okay, but most of the time, parts of sentences in conversations were dropped. We have now changed to **, and they use the AT&T network and towers. The service is so much better and cheaper. We are sorry we did not change sooner. The CS Representative said she was aware of the spotty connections because of the fact we live near the Sierra Nevadas. It's too bad they did not tell us that when we signed up.

When we had to cancel our current service with Great Call (Jitterbug), we did not know we should have done it before they printed the next month's bill. Since we missed that date (a day or two before the end of the billing cycle), we now have to pay for a whole month of unused service minus three days. THERE IS NO PRO-RATING!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Joan, we are sorry to hear about the coverage you experienced, and we appreciate your feedback. Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, building materials and topography may affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. Although GreatCall does not prorate, a review of your account shows substantial usage during the last five days of service and if prorated, your final bill would be over $100.00. To review your usage or to obtain a detailed usage report, please give us a call at 1 800-733-6632.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Updated on 02/25/2019: I had tried what they recommended many times including clearing cache, force stopping. Finally I did reach someone from the company and he had to speak to 2 supervisors over 2 hours of time before it was finally resolved by resetting the entire phone back to factory settings. However, when I requested him to at least give me credit for the time he used in fixing my phone due to his inexperience or to pay back the neighbor for her minutes of 120 who lent me her phone, he had no response and couldn't help me. I guess it's on the customer to "suck it up" every time they have a problem on their own end! Sorry I have had such miserable experience with them.

Also their company does not have what every other carrier has, namely a #67 national number you can dial directly before the parties phone number so that others cannot see your own number when you call them. This is terribly important for a volunteer charity I work for as president since I cannot afford to have 1,000 people in great need have my personal number, they then call me night and day! Also Jitterbugs' system used for Bluetooth, is very poorly designed, since should you turn it on for your phone and vehicle, it never shuts off automatically nor turns on automatically when you enter the vehicle. So by the time you miss 3-7 phone calls, you remember you need to physically turn off Bluetooth on your phone so you can receive calls again, even when you are over 1,000 feet from your vehicle. Problems all must be solved by them not the customer!

Original review: I called the support over 4 times, do not have another phone to use other than smart 2. Every time I try to hit the edit contact list information the app continues to close down on me. Tried the cache and force stopping same, and rebooting several times, never works; never gets answered for me.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Michael, thank you for your response. We are happy to hear that your issue with contact editing was resolved. In most cases, if there was no interruption in cellular service, a credit would not be warranted, however, we have applied a $20.00 courtesy credit to your account for any inconvenience.

As to restricted dialing, it is available on the Jitterbug Smart2. Press *67, the number with the area code but without the 1, and the caller ID will show restricted (we just tested this, and it worked perfectly).

As to Bluetooth, we have not received any reports of users having to turn off Bluetooth for the phone to ring, when not in the car. Once the car is powered on, it should recognize the phone and when you power the car off the Bluetooth should no longer be connected to the car. We will do further testing to see if we can duplicate this behavior and look for other users reporting this.

Best Regards,

Hi Michael, we are sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing, and we appreciate your feedback. Powering the phone off and back on will usually resolve an issue and it sounds like you have completed the basic trouble shooting. If you could please also Clear the Cache, Data and Force Stop on the Homescreen app, this may resolve the issue. If not, unfortunately, we are unable to trouble shoot your phone while you are on it. If it is at all possible to call us from someone else’s phone, we can complete further in-depth trouble shooting to resolve your issue. If you did not know, and have not already done so, you can set up a mygreatcall.com account and manage your contacts online. When done editing or adding, press the Save button and the information will update to your phone. For assistance with this, please call our customer service and they can walk you through the steps.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My husband and I both had Jitterburg Smart Phones. After 2 years we started having trouble and my husband's phone 'died.' My husband purchased the new Smart 2 for us at Best Buy. When he called to activate new phone, they disconnected my number and gave it to him and eliminated his number altogether. This was when he was at Best Buy for the transfer of contacts. In the meanwhile, I was without communication for 3 hours, unknowing why. It was scary and frustrating. My husband came home and was on the phone with Great Call for over an hour trying to fix this problem. We finally got our respective numbers back, but could not access our contacts.

Again, my husband on the phone with Great Call to straighten out problem. They deactivated and re-activated but when we went back to Best Buy for data transfer, not only could we not access Contacts App., but the data transfer would not work on my husband's phone. Again, husband on phone with Great Call and they told him he had to activate with Bluetooth, which, Best Buy tried and was unsuccessful. It's been a week of bantering back and forth and they still have not fixed the problem. At this point, we are going back to Verizon. I'd rather deal with small print than phones that don't work and incompetent employees and poor management.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Marty, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. We do understand you have called Customer Service for assistance but Best Buy reps are not trained to troubleshoot our products. We recommend that you call our 100% U.S. based Customer Service between the hours of 5 am and 8 pm Pacific Time, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Updated on 02/10/2019: My Jitterbug Smart phone 2 continued to self delete messages so I called the number that the Jitterbug employee suggested in response to my last review. The number ended up being just one more person that was trying to resolve the issue that I was having. After that attempt to fix it, within two hours my phone was still self deleting text messages. I called and spoke to someone else and she continued to try to fix the phone.

When she asked if she could help me in any other way (apparently she thought that I was satisfied with what she'd done) I told her that I'd like her to honor my warranty and replace my phone. She was agreeable in doing that, but now I'm stuck with a phone that self deletes text messages for the next week while I wait for the new phone and I have the inconvenience of setting up a new phone and hoping that my data transfers without losing any. I will never buy another one of these phones. When I'm done with this phone, I'm changing phone companies.

Original Review: I recently bought a Jitterbug Smart phone. The first phone crashed and I lost my data. They replaced the phone and the second phone keeps self deleting my text messages. If I needed to memorialize any of these messages, I wouldn't be able to retrieve them. They have fixed this from a distance by updating the phone once, but a week later it's happening again.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Erin, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. If you have not done so already, we recommend that you call our 100% U.S. based Customer Service between the hours of 5 am and 8 pm Pacific Time, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

A little over a year ago I purchased A Jitterbug Smart Phone. The sound quality on the phone was terrible. Everyone I talked to said they had difficulty hearing me and that I sounded like I was in a tunnel. I called Great Call Customer Service and was told that the poor sound quality was probably due to my location and the fact that I lived in a brick apartment building. This was not accurate as everywhere I called from I experienced the same sound quality problem. I am not a tech savvy individual, which is why I chose Great Call as they claimed to have great customer service. I did not find this to be the case. Sometimes the service representatives were patient and helpful, but more often they were short and impatient, sometimes even downright rude.

I had other issues with the phone as well. When I pressed the button to take me to the home screen, it as often as not took me back to the login screen. When I tried to delete emails they would often pop right back onto the page making me have to delete them again. When texting, symbols would show up upside down or as tiny letters, and I would have to backspace and enter them over and over again. One time the phone would not make calls at all. I had to borrow another phone and call Great Call where a representative got the phone working again but never told me what had been wrong with it or how to fix it if it happened again.

Finally there was the cost. I only needed the phone for calling or texting, but I was told that wasn't an option. I wasn't told how I could make the phone limit the data so I ended up paying $75.00 a month for a phone that wasn't doing what I needed it for. I have since replaced the phone with a flip phone from another carrier and everyone tells me how much better I sound! I get unlimited talk and text for $25.00 a month. I only paid $50.00 for the phone and it is of better quality than the more expensive Jitterbug Smart Phone that I purchased. And so far, the other carrier's customer service beats Great Call customer service for patience and clear information. I know there is a Jitterbug 2 Smart phone now, but given the cost of going with Great Call and the poor customer service, I would not take a chance on the new phone.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Wendy, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. We are sorry about the numerous calls to Customer Service and we appreciate your feedback. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our ability to serve you and other users of our products.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I was initially excited to get the Jitterbug Smart phone, planning after long last to upgrade from my flip phone. The process of buying the phone took way too long, and in hindsight I now see that should have raised a red flag about Great Call. The day prior to my plan beginning I set up in a quiet room in the public library to begin what I presumed would be a quick and painless procedure. After all, the phone is advertised as easy to use. Almost two hours, and three very frustrating calls to the "customer service" line, I was out $10.00, which the Service Manager, a totally unhelpful Maria refused to refund to me, claiming that a "restocking fee" is an industry standard.

This despite the fact that my wanting to return the product was due in full to the lack of simplicity in setting the phone up, the extremely poor (read awful) customer "service", and the fact that when the phone finally gave me a number to call (after repeatedly shutting off for close to an hour), the automated system informed me that the call couldn't be taken because the call center was only open M-F 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. I placed the call close to the noon hour. So, I plan on taking Great Call to court for my $10.00, and reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, and warning as many people as possible to AVOID THIS COMPANY!!! Crappy product, Worse service.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My mom bought a Jitterbug Smartphone because she has a hard time with things that are too complicated, she liked the bigger icons and layout of the Jitterbug Smartphone. She had problems from day 1 of using the phone. The sound was terrible, the functions weren't helpful and they were never able to set up her voicemail. I did some research to find that she was paying more than she needed to for services she wasn't using. I researched other companies and found a better fit for her. When I called GreatCall to cancel her service the employee asked me why I canceling the service. I was very honest with her and told her I felt like they were taking advantage of seniors and those who are disabled by charging them for things that weren't necessary and claiming that their rates are low. Compared to Verizon or Sprint they might be low but not compared to Straight Talk.

The employee then started to argue with me about it, telling me they have the lowest unlimited plans and way cheaper than what she pays personally, she wouldn't let me get one word in and put me on hold without even saying she was going to, she was arguing with me and then just turned on music. I have never been treated such disrespect. When she came back on she said she had canceled my service, I asked to talk to a supervisor and after being on hold for several minutes I hung up, it wasn't worth my time. I was very disappointed with everything regarding this company and if it were possible to give them a 0 rating I would have. Don't waste your time or money. Other phones through other companies are now made with an easy mode making the font and icons large and simple to use actually easier and more user friendly than the Jitterbug. GreatCall is a waste.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Vanessa, we are sorry to hear of your experience, your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our ability to serve you and other users of our products. At GreatCall we strive to provide the highest level of Customer Service and will always take the time to understand each individual subscriber’s needs and usage requirements before we recommend a service plan. Our award-winning 5Star emergency response service is only available on Jitterbug phones or GreatCall devices. We offer a variety of affordable plans and services which can be viewed at our web page and our 100% U.S. based customer service is available 7 days a week.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Jitterbug Smart: touching a button often brings no response; other times it works as expected with a light touch. Other times it takes a very hard strike to obtain ANY response. Phone will self-activate a call. Twitchy!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We got the Jitterbug 2 for my grandfather. He uses an iPad and Apple TV already. He is learning the phone and seems to like it. However he keeps accidentally dialing 911. Is there a way to turn this off?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Purchased as a gift for my mom who is a long-time Jitterbug user. Visual Voicemail does not work and the company will NOT provide its customer service personnel with any insight as to when and if this issue will be corrected. Since the Phone and Voicemail are the most critical functions for seniors, the phone is of essentially no use at the moment and should not be sold to the public. I strongly recommend any potential buyer, call Jitterbug and confirm that this function is working before making a purchase.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Kevin, we are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Voicemail. The Jitterbug Smart Visual Voicemail is working. Prior to using the Visual Voicemail, you need to go through the initial set up by pressing the visual Voicemail button on the phone's screen and setup their greeting. If you are still experiencing issues, please call our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632, from another phone, to go through further troubleshooting.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

In attempting to activate the phone for my elderly grandfather, I felt very rushed to approve the 'included' package. Since every added feature is an additional cost, 'included' just means more expensive, but rep was trying to stay vague and rather defensive when being asked about the final cost. Sure enough, rather than the $14.99 price advertised, the rep was trying to get my grandfather on a $30+ monthly plan. I can only imagine how many elderly people are overwhelmed and signed up to a more expensive plan than they expected.

Finally, the rep agreed to give me the basic plan because I was being so 'insistent' (a bad thing, I guess) and refusing her 'help'. She was rude and rushed through the rest of the process, so I had to call back later to clarify how to port a phone number and some other details. The subsequent reps were a bit better. I can't speak to the phone quality yet, but be aware that even the lowest monthly fee ($14.99 as of this writing) balloons another $10 dollars with taxes and fees that the rep wasn't able to really explain and seemed annoyed I'd ask about.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Jay, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Customer Service experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our ability to serve you and other users of our products.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Purchased two Jitterbug Smart phones, had issue with both transferring phone numbers over. Took two days for one and numerous calls to both companies (3 to 4 days) for the other one. For problems with phone, can't do online, can't change plan, have to call customer service for everything. Had issues after transferring number with phone still not working, had to call customer service and reset phone, had to call again for voicemail wasn't working, had to call another number to get it reset.

Both phones are billed under my name, yet when I called to try and get them on same bill online, they told me I couldn't do it. Have to get other person to consent even though I was on the account. Customer service talked as if I did not know what I was talking about (billing department) and call back when other person could talk to them. Not satisfied with always having to call, and feeling as if I did not know anything about smartphones, I only got the smartphone so my husband, who is not smartphone, would be able to use. I made the mistake of getting one also. I am now looking into finding another provider and phone.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Nellie, we are sorry to hear of your customer service experience. If your name is listed as the Billing Contact on both accounts you are able to combine to once account. I would like to further assist to correct the mistake. Please look for a private message from GreatCall.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I bought this as an "easy to use phone for seniors". But the phone is not only not responsive, but is also so dumbed down that you cannot do simple things that you expect of "smart" phones. The interface is not intuitive. The website is terrible, with little help or information. And when I called customer support, they could not answer my question and were rude about it. In my opinion, this is probably the worst cell phone out there, hands down, even for a senior.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall designed the easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. There are several how-to videos available at the GreatCall webpage and they can be accessed by clicking on Product Support at the top right. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our ability to serve you and other users of our Jitterbug Smart 2.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This phone does have some good features and customer service is very responsive and helpful. However I wish I had never bought it. If you do not need the call for help feature, and you accidentally touch the call 5* button, 911 is called immediately. If you tell them it was a mistake, they still have to send a state trooper to your home. He tried to disable it for me but it cannot be disabled. This red button is omnipresent and just a fraction below the video button. Is everywhere you are on the phone. So if you do not need LIFELINE do not get this phone. Also if you try to send a picture it is way TOO easy to send it to the wrong contact. The picture taking feature can be OK but if you do not have super steady hands it blurs and you could easily touch THE RED BUTTON. The talk text feature is too fast for means I can only say a few words. It does however call well and texts ok. Wish I had done more research. I am mid 70s and not good with tech stuff.

Jitterbug Smart response

Carole, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall layered in an easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone and we will continue to design and test further enhancements for future phone models. There are several how-to videos available at the GreatCall webpage, www.greatcall.com, and they can be accessed by clicking on Product Support at the top right. If you can give us call from another phone our Customer Service team stands ready to assist you.

Jitterbug Smart accessories

GreatCall offers Jitterbug Smart and Jitterbug Smart 2 accessories for extra charging options, screen protection and more.

Extra Wall Charger

The charger is compatible with both Jitterbug Smartphone devices and costs $19.99.

Car Charger

The Jitterbug Smart charger cable stretches from 12 to 40 inches and works with both Jitterbug Smartphones. Cost is $24.99.

Glass Screen Protector

This protects your Jitterbug Smart2’s screen for $9.99.

Wallet Folio Case

For $24.99, combine your Jitterbug Smartphone case and your wallet into one with GreatCall’s Wallet Folio Case.

Gel Case

Available in red, blue and clear, GreatCall’s gel cases protect your Jitterbug Smartphone from scratches. Prices range from $5 to $19.99.

Bluetooth Headset

Bluetooth lets you have conversations on Jitterbug Smart devices without having to take out your device. GreatCall’s Bluetooth Headset costs $49.99.

Jitterbug Smart caregiver tools

You can keep an eye on your aging loved ones without being intrusive through Jitterbugs Smart's GreatCall Link app. View your family member's phone battery status, location, and activities to make sure they are keeping up with important routine tasks. You'll also receive a notification if 5Start Urgent Response is used. Depending on your plan choice, you can even speak to a nurse or board-certified doctor without an appointment, no matter the time of day.

Jitterbug Smart monitoring center

Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers are located throughout the United States. With the touch of a button, you'll immediately connect with a US-based IAED-certified agent who can dispatch help. Multilingual operators are available, and there are over 200 languages spoken.

Your location is obtained through GPS and shared with EMTs. Any information you have available in your personal profile, such as medications and allergies, is shared with medical personnel.

Jitterbug Smart FAQ

Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Smart?
No, Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Smart.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smart medical alert system?
No, you do not have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smartphone.
What is Jitterbug Smart’s return policy?
Jitterbug has a 30-day refund policy. GreatCall will refund your money, less restocking fees, within that period; however, if you’ve used more than 30 minutes of talk time, you will be responsible for the first month of service.
What is Jitterbug Smart’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel Jitterbug Smart without fees at any time.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Jitterbug Smart monitoring service?
Yes, but GreatCall does provide discounts on shared Jitterbug Smart plans. Contact GreatCall Jitterbug customer service for more details.
Where are Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers located?
Jitterbug Smart connects to several centers dispersed throughout the United States.
Do Jitterbug Smart emergency response services require a landline?
No, 5Star Urgent response is accessed on the Jitterbug smartphone.
Does Jitterbug Smart offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
A Jitterbug Smart device replacement option can be added to any plan for a small monthly fee. If you have a problem with your device, Jitterbug phone troubleshooting is available through GreatCall customer service.
Does Jitterbug Smart offer a free trial period?
No, Jitterbug Smart does not offer a free trial period.
Are Jitterbug Smart medical alert systems waterproof?
No, Jitterbug Smart devices are not waterproof.
How much does Jitterbug Smart cost?
The price of a Jitterbug Smart2 is $112.49, and users can select plans as low as $14.99 (250 minutes), or opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Smart?

Yes. GreatCall excels at creating and designing mobile and safety products that help give aging adults the continued freedom and independence they crave. There are Jitterbug phone reviews cons — like some of their best features are only available through a Health and Safety package — but it could be worth it for the value those plans provide.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information