Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

2. Medical Alert Systems

4.0/5 (990 ratings)
Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

About Jitterbug Smart

GreatCall’s Jitterbug Smart is a smartphone for older adults. These smart devices help you or your loved one summon help in an emergency and stay connected with family and friends. The devices are lightweight, easy to use and come with a few free services and tools. A variety of accessories and add-on services are available to enhance your experience.

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Pros

• Customer service is 100% U.S.-based
    • Uses Verizon’s cell network
    • No annual contracts

Cons

• Not waterproof
    • No fall detection

Bottom Line

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart is a smartphone device that quickly summons help during emergencies. It's not waterproof, but customers can keep their existing phone number and don't have to sign a long-term contract.

Top Jitterbug Smart Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Verified

Verified

I liked that the Jitterbug is big. I can see the numbers and use them, too. The numbers on the other phone we had are too small. I give the Jitterbug to my wife to carry around fo...

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

What is Jitterbug Smart?

The Jitterbug Smart is a simple smartphone designed with interactive emergency solutions for active aging adults. The Jitterbug Smart comes with a large, intuitive display that’s easy to use. It also has a long-lasting battery and a powerful speaker that helps with sound clarity. With every GreatCall smartphone comes its 5Star app, a service that immediately connects you with trained personnel to assist in an emergency.

The Jitterbug Smart health and safety packages include text and talk time, a personal operator, caregiver access to wellness information and two-way communication with trained emergency agents. Jitterbug Smart smartphones use the Verizon wireless network and can be activated on GreatCall's website or through customer support.

How does Jitterbug Smart work?

Calling for help with Jitterbug Smart is as simple as pressing the 5Star button, which is always displayed on the phone. Once connected, an emergency response operator confirms your location. Then the 5Star agent dispatches emergency personnel, roadside assistance, a locksmith, or a close family member for aid. While this is in progress, the agent makes sure to stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

Jitterbug Smart device

Jitterbug Smart smartphones have a simple navigation menu that’s accessible when you power up or unlock your device. Jitterbug phones are lightweight and easy to use.

The Jitterbug Smart2 has an easy-to-use navigation menu with a 5.5-inch color display, front-facing speakerphone, internet access, GPS and voice-typing capabilities. It includes a 13-megapixel camera and has 16 gigabytes of storage to help capture and keep precious moments. The phone's usage meter tracks minutes and data to monitor for any overages.

With a Jitterbug Smart Health and Safety package, you can also get urgent response and urgent care service, GreatCall Link and more.

Jitterbug Smart apps and services

GreatCall’s Jitterbug smartphone users can choose from its Health and Safety packages to get 5Star Urgent Response service. Additional apps and services may include:

• Urgent care: Included in some of the safety packages, urgent care service and its companion app send personalized advice from doctors and nurses. If needed, health professionals can give you prescriptions over the phone.
    • GreatCall Link: GreatCall Link is included in all of the safety packages. It helps caregivers to stay informed about your health and safety at a glance.
    • GreatCall Rides: Lyft has teamed up with GreatCall to offer GreatCall Rides for those who select a Health and Safety package. Simply dialing “0” will get you in touch with an operator who can book a ride for you.
    • Brain games: Specially designed to keep aging brains fit, the free Brain Games app comes preloaded on your Jitterbug Smart2. It helps improve memory through games that are not only challenging but also fun.
    • Personal operator: A feature of the Ultimate Health and Safety plan, the personal operator gets you in touch with a live agent who can help with tasks like finding addresses and phone numbers.

Jitterbug Smart plans and pricing

Jitterbug Smart plans are as affordable as $14.99 per month for 250 minutes. Users can also select plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month. Jitterbug Smart also offers three safety packages to suit your needs and activity level.

Each plan comes with 5Star Urgent Response.

Jitterbug BasicJitterbug PreferredJitterbug Ultimate

Jitterbug Basic$19.99
    Jitterbug Preferred$24.99
    Jitterbug Ultimate$34.99

Jitterbug Smart accessories

GreatCall offers Jitterbug Smart accessories for extra charging options, screen protection and more.

Jitterbug Smart caregiver tools

You can keep an eye on your aging loved ones without being intrusive with Jitterbug Smart's GreatCall Link app. View your family member's phone battery status, location and activities to make sure they’re keeping up with important routine tasks. You'll also receive a notification if they use 5Star Urgent Response. Depending on your plan choice, you can even speak to a nurse or board-certified doctor without an appointment, no matter the time of day.

Jitterbug Smart monitoring center

Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers are located throughout the United States. With the touch of a button, you'll immediately connect with a U.S.-based, IAED-certified agent who can dispatch help. Multilingual operators are available, with over 190 languages altogether.

GreatCall gets your location through GPS and shares it with EMTs. Any information you have available in your personal profile, such as medications and allergies, will be shared with medical personnel.

Jitterbug Smart FAQ

Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Smart?
    No, Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Smart.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smart medical alert system?
    No, you do not have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug smartphone.
    What is Jitterbug Smart’s return policy?
    Jitterbug has a 30-day refund policy. GreatCall will refund your money, minus restocking fees, within that period; however, if you’ve used more than 30 minutes of talk time, you will be responsible for the first month of service.
    What is Jitterbug Smart’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel Jitterbug Smart without fees at any time.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to a Jitterbug Smart monitoring service?
    Yes, but GreatCall does mention discounts on shared Jitterbug Smart plans. Contact GreatCall Jitterbug customer service for more details.
    Where are Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers located?
    Jitterbug Smart connects to several centers dispersed throughout the United States.
    Do Jitterbug Smart emergency response services require a landline?
    No, you can contact 5Star Urgent Response through the Jitterbug smartphone.
    Does Jitterbug Smart offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    A Jitterbug Smart device replacement option can be added to any plan for a small monthly fee. If you have a problem with your device, Jitterbug phone troubleshooting is available through GreatCall customer service.
    Does Jitterbug Smart offer a free trial period?
    No, Jitterbug Smart does not offer a free trial period.
    Are Jitterbug Smart medical alert systems waterproof?
    No, Jitterbug Smart devices are not waterproof.
    How much does Jitterbug Smart cost?
    The price of a Jitterbug Smart2 is $149.99, and users can select plans as low as $14.99 (250 minutes) or opt in to plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Smart?

Yes. GreatCall excels at creating and designing mobile and safety products that help give aging adults the continued freedom and independence they may crave. There are Jitterbug phone review cons — like some of their best features are only available through their Health and Safety packages — but it could be worth it for the value those plans provide.

Jitterbug Smart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Original review: April 23, 2021

Very honest company, recommended them to my friends and family. Quick service, I support any seniors buying this phone, Great for seniors, great service. Thank you so much. Great calls. Easy phone to use.

Original review: April 1, 2021

This one's sort of a no-brainer. The LARGE SCREEN and EASY VISIBILITY of the Jitterbug Smartphone make this THE phone you want to have in an emergency -- when you might not have the ability or the attention to look at tiny type.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2021

My husband got this going for me since he works during the day and he is afraid something will happen to me. He and I are very happy with this service. It is a great peace of mind. I would recommend this to anyone needing peace of mind also.

Original review: March 18, 2021

It is ok. Used for a bit and it served the purpose but it was to simple for me. Need more features, Little more in depth stuff. Probably good for a very simple application. If you are looking for extremely simple this is probably your solution.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I have owned the Jitterbug Smart Phone 2 for one year. In that time the phone has worked as I expected except for the phone message device. Approximately 6 months after purchase the phone ceased taking messages. I had to ask friends to use the text service instead to insure that I would get vital messages. With advanced arthritis, texting is difficult for me. Twice I have called the Smartphone2 support services for repair of the messaging device. Both times technical help worked with me for approximately 2 hours to restore the messaging service. Neither time was successful. Now I have requested support a third time. This tech tells me I need to have a second phone in use in order for her to offer support.

I am on social security. I can't afford a second phone to fix the first phone! I am told I am not able to have my phone replaced, as per warranty, unless I have the third support person make an attempt to fix my phone. My conclusion is that this phone is a bad option for seniors who are on limited income as support service for the phone is virtually useless. You will be taken to the cleaner on this product.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Ann, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I've been with Greatcalls 5 years using the Samsung Jitterbug Touch3 that I loved. I've only been using this Alcatel Jitterbug Smart2 for 3 weeks now, but activation did not go as I thought as NOTHING came over from my Samsung Jitterbug Touch3 as I was promised (so much for the Cloud), I had to reload Apps, set up all of my contacts, copy pictures from old to new phone, etc. And setup all of the emails I had on the Samsung touch3. (Not sure why they ditched Samsung for Alcatel).

Also, if you do not use Gmail greatcalls is not so willing to assist you with set up other emails. I was having issues with Yahoo and Exchange Outlook (my work email) setup and syncing up real time. I am grateful for the experienced customer service Mike and Rick as after customer service logged into my phone they did assist me with getting Yahoo email working on the Yahoo app and then Outlook exchange using Gmail. After updates were applied to Gmail it was finally syncing in real time.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Purchased for a elderly friend that need to get rid of her land land because of price. I call Great Call and set her up with what we thought was unlimited talk and no text for 19.99 a month. Her first bill was 200 dollars. When she called they said she went over her 250 minutes. So obviously they do not tell the truth with the packages and she had to up her plan to 45 dollars a month to get more minutes. I will report to AARP and consumer services and Attorney General and whomever will listen. IT IS NOT RIGHT FOR GREATCALL AND JITTER BUG TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ELDERLY CITIZENS.... SHAME ON THEM.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Doreen, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Purchased this phone for my 94 year old dad 2 months ago. Have had nothing but problems ever since. 30 percent of calls are “dropped” and the phone frequently says no service when in good cell service area. Called Great Call customer service and after very long and frustrating waits I was told that the issues we were experiencing were not uncommon and they were trying to find a solution for them, but couldn’t help solve the problems now. I bought this phone to make it easier for my dad to call me but instead it has caused him tremendous anxiety because he doesn’t get my calls and I have trouble contacting him. Just bought him another type of phone with Sprint service. Do not buy this phone until issue fixed.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Sherrie, we are sorry to hear you have encountered a problem with your Jitterbug phone and we appreciate your feedback. If you are seeing “No Service” on the screen of a Smart phone, we suggest checking at the top of the screen to see what your signal strength is. If you have no bars that would indicate the phone is not able to receive the signal. If you have one or two bars, this is a fair or poor signal and could cause calls to drop. Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, building materials and topography affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. Please give us a call at 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 6pm Pacific Time, if we can be of any further assistance.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I'm a senior citizen and cannot pay this kind of money for something that is not reliable. I need to get something I can rely on and the Jitterbug phones do not seem to be it, please refund my money so I can go on my brothers plan where he gets free phone for me and put on his service so I have what I need especially where family member is in hospice. I need reliability.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Elaine, we are sorry to hear you have encountered a problem with your Jitterbug phone and we appreciate your feedback. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. To ensure your phone is working properly and to better assist you, please give us a call at 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 6pm Pacific Time.

Original review: April 11, 2020

Got a Jitterbug II smart phone a couple of weeks ago. Played with it to see that it was what we wanted. Seems to be. Called Great Call customer service. Went through the recording tree and go to the "...press 2 for flipphones, 3 for smartphones." Pressed 3 and got dead silence for about 5 seconds followed by "Thank you for calling Great Call" followed by a hangup. Tried again for multiple times on multiple days, even using different phones. Same problem. Sent email, no response. So today I called and pressed 2 instead. Got an immediate response and all went well. I explained that the smartphone option was dead and the tech

said she'd let the right people know. I would have just chalked it up to the Covid-19 miasma, but since the other options were working, I doubt that had anything to do with it. Conclusion? The phone works fine, the recording tree didn't work over a 3 or 4 day period, not a good indicator for a company that deals in phones!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Larry, we are sorry to hear that you had issues with getting connected to our Customer Service and would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. The Coronavirus pandemic has created unprecedented impacts worldwide; however, our highest priority is to help ensure the health and safety of our employees and customers. We appreciate your patience as we experience higher than normal wait times due to an increase in e-mail inquiries at this time, but rest assured, we are still dedicated to responding to your inquiry as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Find a Medical Alert System partner near you.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information