Call toll free
4.15/5
Based on 862 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. A new, 35% bigger screen makes it even easier to stay connected. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Jitterbug Smart Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

863 Jitterbug Smart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

I am trying to reach someone for an explanation as to an unauthorized payment. Phone waiting times are interminable! I authorized a payment when I connected the service, and here it is, a few days later, and an unauthorized charge appears on my bank account! I don't want to have automatic payments; I did not authorize automatic payments, especially with company that can't be reached by phone!

Jitterbug Smart response

GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available and our 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, is available between the hours of 5am - 8pm, Pacific Time, 7 days a week. While our average hold time is less than 5 minutes, there can be times when the wait is longer, if you can hold, we will answer your call in the order it was received. You can also reach us via email at customerservice@greatcall.com, please keep in mind that email reply is 2 business days.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 18, 2018

I have had the GreatCall Jitterbug Smartphone for less than a month. The phone is now non-functional. If I could give them 0 stars, or even a negative star of some value, I would. The phone is a very nice looking piece of junk. I live alone and right now, I have no way of communicating with anyone. What a crappy company.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 13, 2018

Bought the Jitterbug smartphone; was unable to receive or make calls. Actually it did make a couple of calls and I received one; was able to text and everything else worked. Bars showed I should have service; called GreatCall and the phone tech said he would send an update and that would fix the problem, it did not. Called another tech. Spent about 40 minutes trying to resolve the problem; she suggested I should use phone when I am outside; not a solution. I had to excuse myself from the phone to take care of a client request, when I got back the tech was gone and I was informed they cut off my service; which is okay since it did not exist.

I am definitely sending the phone back, I was told I would be charged a restocking fee for this phone that does not work that is on top of paying for postage to send it back. When I had set up my account online sometimes it recognized me and often it did not. I did have an invoice for the billing period from 6/05 to 7/05, even though I did not receive the nonworking phone till 7/05. I was told that is the way they do it. Disappointed the phone did not work. More disappointed in the lack of empathy by GreatCall. My advice stay away unless you prefer no customer service.

Jitterbug Smart response

Jerry, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist, from technical support professionals to customer service representatives, we are ready to help any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance, 1 800-733-6632. We see when you called to cancel your service, you were not at your service location of record. The ability to make and receive calls can be affected by the signal. Service is based on the coverage in your area, even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, building materials, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. While attempting to troubleshoot your phone, your call dropped, we did make several attempts to reconnect with you but were unable to do so. Please give us a call if you have any questions about your refund.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was an iPhone user for many years, but made the decision to look for a cheaper phone/plan. The Jitterbug Smart was a great choice. I was really afraid I'd miss the functionality of the iPhone, but switching to Jitterbug has been seamless. And I don't miss the exorbitant monthly charges one bit! Jitterbug's customer service is great staffed with happy, friendly, very patient people who answer the simplest questions with as much care as they do the more complicated ones. I couldn't be happier, and wish I'd made the decision to switch to Jitterbug long ago.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 4, 2018

Worst smartphone ever. Random lavender screen pops up; unable to use phone, tried factory reset, calling support - useless. Seems like it has a mind of its own sometimes. My son (pharmacist) is tech-savvy and gets very exasperated with this device even though he thought it would be something that I would enjoy and derive great benefits from such as being able to access the internet everywhere and use the GPS. Buttons on the side of the phone are very touch as well. The concept is good - providing an up to date technology that's easy to access, but the execution of all aspects of this phone and its service are unbelievably flawed. It's as if they threw it together at the last moment as a way to exploit unwary seniors on a fixed income!

Jitterbug Smart response

We appreciate your feedback. GreatCall layered in an easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone and we will continue to design and test further enhancements for future phone models. There are several how-to videos available at the GreatCall webpage, www.greatcall.com, and they can be accessed by clicking on Product Support at the top right. If you can give us call from another phone, 1 800-733-6632, our Customer Service team stands ready to assist you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 29, 2018

My wife picked out Jitterbug Touch for me and she’s got one too. I’m a retired police officer and I normally didn’t go in with the gadgets, but she insisted that I get something when I’m by myself. So, I take it with me all the time. I know how to call home and press the other button to let them know if something goes wrong, but I don’t know anything else about it. I’m 90 years old and I’m still learning. I’ve got a couple of paraphernalia that I’ve looked at telling me how to touch this button on this end and touch it on that end, and that's very easy to read. As long as I can find the call home button then I’m okay but I still intend to learn a little bit more about it.

Jitterbug Smart response

We appreciate your feedback. GreatCall layered in an easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone and we will continue to design and test further enhancements for future phone models. There are several how-to videos available at the GreatCall web page, www.greatcall.com, and they can be accessed by clicking on Product Support at the top right. If you can give us call from another phone, 1 800-733-6632, our Customer Service team stands ready to assist you.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I am a Senior Citizen & have had Jitterbug Flip-Phone for 8 years (NEVER had ANY problems with usage OR Customer Service). Was told I had to get a new phone (because - according to Jitterbug - my 8 year old Flip-Phone wouldn't connect to their new network). Got a "Smartphone" 3 weeks ago & have had nothing but PROBLEMS: 1) Cannot hear when people call me, or hear messages left on voicemail. 2) Voicemail CONSTANTLY has problems (have had to call Jitterbug 6 times already - they say they have had problems with it - okay - so FIX the damn PROBLEMS!!!) 3) Prices for services are RIDICULOUS.

I am SOOOO sorry I EVER bought this phone. FYI - this phone is NOT Senior friendly!!! DON'T believe their advertising! Will be buying a Doro flip-phone from another carrier this week (THEIR flip-phone is HALF the cost of Jitterbug's "New Flip-Phone," and their pricing is MUCH cheaper per month). REALLY disappointed after all these years as a Jitterbug Customer - BOOOO!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I purchased a Jitterbug Smart for an elderly relative... An engineer who's able to understand technology, but has definite aging issues. It was a remarkable amount of trouble to set up. The phone works OK, but just OK. We've had repeated problems with unintended redials, something GreatCall support told us they are aware of but have no intention to fix in this generation of product. The tracking of location is terrible. The updates are infrequent, laggy, and frequently completely wrong. There are all sorts of little oddities. For example in the app the same screen will sometimes refer to a given day as "yesterday" and sometimes as "22 June", on the same screen.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I am not satisfied with the Jitterbug Touch. I initially wanted one for senior citizens and it's easy to learn about but I am still having trouble with it. I just use it for calling. I wish I had gotten a SmartPhone instead of what I have. Their customer service is very nice, though.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 23, 2018

Jitterbug sounded like it was going to be something that I could do and understand. However, I don't like it at all. It doesn’t function for me. I read the directions which said, “Do this, that, and the other thing.” And I do those things and there’s nothing there. For instance, when you want to answer the phone from the top right you’re supposed to say, “Answer.” A lot of times there’s nothing there and I can’t answer it. My daughter wants to bring it in since she thinks it’s just something that can be fixed, but when I had my family try it, it was not working for them either.

Jitterbug Smart response

Original review: June 21, 2018

This phone was a big disappointment. I'm 81 years old and it's too complicated for me. My experience in calling the company for help has been negative. I've read the other reviews, mostly negative so I know I'm not imagining strange happenings. The phone calls people without my touching the buttons. When someone calls me an operator is heard saying something (?) and I have to wait until they stop talking. The volume is too low, the phone needs to be charged very frequently and I suspect if I needed the 5 STAR assistance I'd be dead before the call went through. When a person gets in their late 70's and up, it is hard to go from A to C or D. A to B is OK. There are too many steps involved in using the phone and this makes using it a learning experience every time. It would be wonderful if there was a network of techies locally that would come to our home to help us learn to use the phone. I'd pay for this service.

Jitterbug Smart response

Original review: June 18, 2018

I would not recommend the purchase of the Jitterbug phone. The worst customer service. I ordered the phone to see what it looked like and without my knowledge they started charging me a monthly fee! What a hassle to return it! The phone was difficult for my father to use!

Jitterbug Smart response

Natalee, we are sorry to hear that the phone was not a good fit for your father. GreatCall strives to provide the best Customer Service available. When a Customer calls to order a phone from GreatCall, an account is established, the order is set up and prior to the completion of the order, our team reviews the cost of the phone and the monthly service fee for the plan chosen. Once the Customer agrees and provides a credit or debit card for payment, the order is processed and the bill cycle date is set. The first invoice will then generate in approximately 5 business days, making service available upon receipt of the phone.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I was looking through my phone and I happen to see Jitterbug Touch and I gave them a call. I needed the phone immediately because my daughter went to Egypt with my grandkids and I wanted to keep in touch with them with a reasonable price for a cellphone. I love the Jitterbug 'cause I don't have difficulties doing anything with it. I enjoy the Bible, the games and everything on the phone. I can see my grandkids in their pictures and they can see me. If anybody wants or needs a phone, get the Jitterbug.

Original review: June 14, 2018

There is nothing smart about this phone. It dials numbers in the middle of the night while sitting on my nightstand. You can’t hear when someone calls, and it never works when you are using prompts. I’ve owned many cell phones in my life, but this rates as the worst by a long shot.

Jitterbug Smart response

Barry, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. From technical support professionals to customer service representatives, we are ready to help any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance, 1 800-733-6632.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Jitterbug's price seemed fair and the reviews I read on it said a lot of good things about it. I got a Jitterbug Touch, and it's convenient. And I have it for occasions like when I have car trouble and I need to call my wife or she needs to call me for something. The only thing is it says on the magazine that I get three gig of data on it. And on the first month that I had it, it came up with a note that warned me that I only had 1.9 kilobytes of data left, and I hadn't done anything that would use up data.

Jitterbug Smart response

At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. Please give us a call to check your usage and to discuss your current data plan.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We were in need of a cellphone and we walked in the store and bought a Jitterbug Touch. They said it was easy to use, but I don't agree with them. Answering the phone is difficult. There's a button in the center of the screen and you have to put your finger on top of that and scroll it to the right before you could answer the phone and it doesn't always register. In fact, about half of the time, it does not register when you scroll to the right. I have asked if there's something wrong with the phone and they said there's none and that it does that. It's been satisfactory and I'm not very dissatisfied, but I don't think that it was cracked up to be what they advertised.

Jitterbug Smart response

Original review: June 11, 2018

I very seldom use the Jitterbug because it takes so long for it to come on. If I carry it around with me and something happens, by the time I get the phone on, it’s gonna be too late. I could leave it on but then you have to charge it all the time. When I first got it, I don’t know if I had to activate it. The rep told me that I have to make sure that I plug it in every night to recharge it and I could leave it plugged all night long. That doesn’t help either. I’ve got a plug in by the bed but if we don’t have any power and something happens, then I don’t have the phone.

I first heard about Jitterbug on TV and I decided to get one because I thought it would be easier but it isn’t. I heard that you could talk a text message. So the first text message I talked has spelled my name wrong and I corrected the name and it kept spelling my name wrong. I’d recommend Jitterbug to a friend that’s more techie savvy than I am. But I don’t have anything wrong with the phone. It’s just maybe getting to understand everything about it.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I was convinced that seniors can use Jitterbug Smart's phone easier than some of the other phones. I spoke with the Jitterbug rep and he sold me the phone. Somebody calls me on my phone and I answer, and I text some people with it. I have recommended Jitterbug Smart.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased a Jitterbug Touch and I carry it and make sure I have it when I'm in the car. I've had no problem with Jitterbug, and I'd recommend them.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I've had nothing but problems with Jitterbug trying to figure the damn thing out. And every time I do something, it works differently. I don't know why it's so complicated. I wouldn’t recommend this phone to anybody. My neighbor finally got it up to the top volume and I still can't hear it. And I tried to call the people or get my voicemail and half of the time it works and half of the time it doesn’t. I've been busy and I haven't had time to spend with it and then when I go back with it, it's like I'm starting all over again.

I got the CD that I could stick in my old computer, and it would start giving me instructions. Now my new computer doesn’t do that. Even if I get to do the thing, I can't hear it anyway so I might as well just ditch it and get a phone that I can hear. I get about 50% of hearing. The guy that came in and installed my new computer, his phone rang and I was in the other room and I could hear it. With my Jitterbug I got to be sitting right next to it on my counter to even hear it. This one lies on my counter 99% of the time and it's such a pain for me. I don't even use it. As a matter of fact I got it charging right now. It's been the first time I charged it in a week.

Jitterbug Smart response

Original review: May 18, 2018

I've had several different phones and my daughter told me, “I believe you’ll like that Jitterbug.” So I said okay and then my sister who lives in Houston also has one. I've also seen that in a magazine and when she was here one weekend, we just went and got it. Someone else had my number and a lot of times I get a call from this guy and he’ll leave me a text. I don’t answer him but some of them are not too nice so I just take it off and go on. Then I got a lot of out-of-state on them but I don’t answer those either. In fact, I got a call in just my local phone this morning and it had my area code number and it was a guy trying to sell me life insurance.

But I would recommend Jitterbug to someone if they were talking about getting a cellphone. It's for old people. I live out in the country and then I just had my regular phone here and then my daughter told me that they sent me a lot of pictures. I've got a great grandson that’s 11 years old and he won an award. They live in Houston and he sent me a lot of pictures. I also take a few pictures and I enjoy it.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Ruby, we are sorry to hear you have been getting unwanted text messages or calls. Most phone numbers are recycled. There are several things you can do to stop these. For calls you can register your number with the National Do Not Call registry by calling 1 888-382-1222 or answer the call and advise wrong number. For text messages, simple reply “STOP” or you can advise “No longer this Person”. The final option would be to call GreatCall Customer Service and request a new number, however, you will be assigned the next available number, which most likely will be a recycled number. If you have an active phone number from a previous carrier, you can transfer that number to your Jitterbug phone. For information about how to port in your number, please call Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I saw Jitterbug in a magazine and they said it was for older people so I got one. But I'd like to get a cheaper plan. Also I don't think it’s the easiest thing they got out to be. For one thing, whenever I'm using it and talking to somebody, some woman’s voice comes on it and says, “You have reached the voicemail of Carol.” I don't know where she comes from or what but then it hangs me up. But I like that you can Google on them. But the phone is not what I expected.

Jitterbug Smart response

Original review: May 11, 2018

I used to have another carrier and had a phone that was refurbished. I was having trouble with it so I figured I jump ship and went with Jitterbug Touch. So far, I'm semi-happy about that phone that I got. The $45 a month is a lot of money for me and I only use so many minutes for talking and I don't do any data stuff at all. So, I have to see if I can drop my whole program. And, I'm on a limited income so I'm trying to cut down on things. One time I called their customer service because I couldn't get something to work on the phone. The help menu that you can get both on the phone and online wasn't helping me out with the question I had. So I ended up talking to somebody. Overall, the whole thing is a good deal but I need to do some changes. I have nothing against the company itself. It's more my personal situation that's really drawing me to the floor.

Original review: May 10, 2018

My husband wanted a Jitterbug Touch so we got it, but we don't like it. We were on our son's Verizon thing and we thought we're getting something simple 'cause we really do not use it. We always forget it. We're gonna have it just when we went for a drive, but we always forget it, so we changed. We're 85 years old and we should have got just the plain one, not the smartphone. I didn't want it in the first place and my husband hasn't been able to handle it. I know it's us, not the phone. We do feel better if we remember to take it along, but we drive so little and short distance. The only thing my husband likes about it is that when we get an email, it dings on his phone through my computer.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I got my Jitterbug Touch cellphone for emergencies. Sometimes I remember to charge it and sometimes I remember to take it with me. It’s supposed to help me if I’m on the road and that was the only reason I got it. If they could have somebody over here to walk me through it every time I think about using it, it would be great. It seems easy enough and self-explanatory if I just focus. Other than that, I'm not really into cellphones. I would rather have a button which would be better for me because the phone’s never near me. So, it wouldn’t do me much good if I fell somewhere. But now, I’m thinking about getting some texting privileges so I can have contact with my grandkids and get into whatever century we’re in. I’d also recommend Jitterbug to a friend because for somebody that would use it and was phone-savvy, it would be fine.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I got a Jitterbug Smartphone for my cousin, who is low vision, and technology challenged. At first glance, the phone appears to be very user friendly, with large bright fonts and a fairly simple home screen. The address book is also very simplified and large. But when you need to get a little into the weeds, to do literally anything with settings, the display is very much like any other smartphone, but maybe a little harder to use since the somewhat simplified options make it less intuitive. If you have a constant companion who can help with all those inevitable issues where you need to just get back to the previous screen or make some adjustment, it’s just too complicated. They need to look at all the screens and make them ALL more user friendly. I will say that customer service and help were excellent, but not enough to offset the display issues.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I got a Jitterbug Touch as technology and I do not get along. I carry it in my purse for my personal use and safety. However, sometimes it's easy to use and sometimes it isn't. I have trouble getting back to the keyboard and I tried to make a call yesterday but can’t really say if it’s the phone or our local phone company which sucks. Other than that, I enjoy it and it’s not that expensive. The least I can do with the local telephone companies, the happier I am.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I ordered a Jitterbug phone for my dad. He has heart problems and lives alone. I thought this was the way to go. I waited a week for his phone to arrive. It didn't come. I called them and it had never shipped out. They said they was having problems with their shipping. I asked for my money back and they said they could not refund me because the order was pending. So I went and bought another phone from Best Buy. I talked to someone and they said just to refuse the order when it came and it would refund me my money and they would just go ahead and turn on this new phone that I had gotten.

Well the new phone doesn't work and when I called them again (4 days later) the other order is still pending and they still will not refund me my money. Now I am out $250 and no phone. I will be returning the other phone (1 hr drive from where I live) back to Best Buy and I guess waiting on my money back from a pending order. I will NEVER try and use this phone again. IT'S A JOKE!!! If you care about your loved ones try something else.

Jitterbug Smart response

Lisa, we are sorry to hear of your experience and we appreciate your feedback. Due to a system error, the order did not ship out as expected. A review of the account shows that the initial order was stopped and a refund has been process. You should see the refund post back to the credit or debit card in 3-5 business days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Jitterbug has all the features and everything that I like. But I really don't like it. I only use it for emergency and I tried using it. I went for a cataract surgery today, and I used it to call my family. But it was just too long to get a call out. But I'd tell my friends to totally get it because it's a nice big phone. And the keyboard letters are nice, bright and big.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I just had a flip phone with no bells and whistles to it. I've never had anything like a Jitterbug Touch before and I thought that would be the way to go. I use Jitterbug a lot more and I like that they have a bigger screen on it. However, it's not as simple as they say. There's a lot more to it than you know. But I do all right with it. I can do what I need to do which I have never texted before I got this. So, I enjoy that. Their customer service has been good. In fact, anybody I spoke to has been good. I was going to change plans or change phones because I did not have unlimited on any of it. And now I have unlimited on all of it, the phone messaging, etc. However, I found out that if I were to change a company, this phone may not work and that does not make me happy.

Jitterbug Smart expert review by Shelley Webb

The Jitterbug Smart from GreatCall takes mobile alert technology to the next level by combining smartphone and medical alert technology. It is designed to create an all-in-one solution for those who need medical monitoring and their families.​

• Affordable plans: Users pay one affordable monthly fee for data, texting, phone minutes and health and safety applications. Choose the plan that works for you, and adapt it as needed since you aren’t locked into a contract.

• Easy to use and intuitive design: Smartphones can be intimidating, but the simple and intuitive design of the Jitterbug Smart incorporates large keys and an easy-to-read menu, allowing for easy adaptation.

• 5Star app: The 5Star app makes it easy to get help in an emergency. Simply press a button for immediate emergency response.

• Caregiver support: Caregivers can check in on their loved ones without intruding thanks to the GreatCall Link app. This GPS-enabled app allows caregivers to keep track of their loved ones, and it automatically alerts caregivers when the 5Star button has been pressed so they can react quickly.

• Resources: Learn how to make the most of your smartphone with GreatCall’s Learning Center. Their video library, how-to cards and interactive online courses help users and their caregivers understand the full capabilities of their Jitterbug Smart.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons who have recently retired, persons with newly diagnosed or uncontrolled epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information