2. Medical Alert Systems

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart2 is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart2 has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart2 into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart2 phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart is a smartphone device that quickly summons help during emergencies. It's not waterproof, but customers can keep their existing phone number and don't have to sign a long-term contract.

PROS

• Customer service is 100% US-based
  • Cell service is powered by Verizon cellular network
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Not waterproof
  • No fall detection

Top Jitterbug Smart Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

I am a senior citizen and I wanted to go to a smartphone so I got a Jitterbug phone. I enjoy using it and I have the less expensive program I can have. I like Jitterbug very much and would recommend it to someone else.

I've heard that Jitterbug Smart is really good and simple, and I tried it out because I have never gotten one of these things before. I love what I can do so far and I know there's so much more that I can do with it. I'm 72 and it's easy to read the big screen…

Jitterbug Smart Learn More

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner, accredited by ConsumerAffairs.

Compare Brands

What is Jitterbug Smart?

The Jitterbug Smart is a simple smartphone designed with interactive emergency solutions for active aging adults. The Jitterbug Smart comes with a large, intuitive display that is easy to use. It also has a long-lasting battery and a powerful speaker that helps deliver sound clarity. Integrated with every smartphone is GreatCall’s 5Star app — a service that immediately connects you with trained personnel to assist in an emergency.

GreatCall Jitterbug Smart health and safety packages include text and talk time, a personal operator, caregiver access to wellness information and two-way communication to trained emergency agents. Jitterbug Smart smartphones use the Verizon wireless network and can be activated on GreatCall's website or through their customer support.

Jitterbug Smart devices

Jitterbug Smart smartphones have a simple navigation menu that is accessible when you power up or unlock your device. Both phones in the GreatCall Jitterbug suite are lightweight and easy to use.

• Jitterbug Smart: Jitterbug Smartphones have a powerful speakerphone, long-lasting battery and bright, easy-to-read screens. Jitterbug Smart specs also include a flash camera, GPS, 8GB of storage capacity and Bluetooth capability. Through a Jitterbug Smart Health and Safety package, you get 5Star service, urgent care, GreatCall Link, plus services like The Wellness Call, MedCoach and Daily Health Tips.
  • Jitterbug Smart2: The Jitterbug Smart2 has an easy-to-use navigation menu with a 5.5-inch color display, front-facing speakerphone, access to the Internet, GPS and voice typing capabilities. It includes a 13MP camera and has 16GB of storage to help capture and keep precious moments. The phone's usage meter tracks minutes and data to monitor for any overages. Jitterbug Smart 2 Health and Safety packages come with all the same services as the Jitterbug Smart.

Jitterbug Smartphone apps and services

GreatCall provides all of its Jitterbug Smartphones with health and safety packages that include the 5Star Urgent Response Service. Additional apps and services may include:

• Urgent Care: Included in some health and safety packages, Urgent Care service and its companion app sends personalized advice from doctors and nurses. If needed, health professionals can give you prescriptions over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: GreatCall link is included in any Health and Safety package, and allows caregivers to stay informed about your health and safety at a glance.
  • GreatCall Rides: Lift has teamed up with GreatCall to offer GreatCall Rides for any phones using a Health and Safety package. Simply dialing “0” will get you in touch with an operator who will book a ride for you.
  • Brain Games: Specially designed to keep aging brains fit, the free Brain Games app comes preloaded on your Jitterbug Smart2. It helps improve memory through games that are not only challenging but fun.
  • Personal Operator: A feature of the Ultimate Health and Safety plan, the personal operator gets you in touch with a live agent who can help with tasks like finding addresses and phone numbers.
  • The Wellness Call: A free service with any Health and Safety plan, wellness expert Dr. Brian Alman sends a weekly motivational call to your phone.
  • The Check-in Call: Part of a Health and Safety package, users get an automated daily call to check on their well-being.
  • Product Replacement: If their phone is broken, stolen or lost, Ultimate Health and Safety users get the benefit of one replacement every 12 months for only $25.

Jitterbug Smartphone plans

Jitterbug Smartphone plans are as affordable as $14.99 per month for 250 minutes, or users can opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month. Jitterbug Smart offers three Health & Safety Packages depending on your needs and activity level.

Jitterbug BasicJitterbug PreferredJitterbug Ultimate
Cost per month$19.99$24.99$34.99
Jitterbug Basic$19.99
Jitterbug Preferred$24.99
Jitterbug Ultimate$34.99

How does Jitterbug Smart work?

Calling for help with Jitterbug Smart is as simple as pressing the 5Star button always displayed on the phone. Once connected, an emergency response operator confirms your location. Then, the 5Star agent dispatches emergency personnel, roadside assistance, a locksmith, or a close family member for aid. While this is in progress, the agent makes sure to stay on the phone with you until help arrives.

Jitterbug Smart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I've been with Greatcalls 5 years using the Samsung Jitterbug Touch3 that I loved. I've only been using this Alcatel Jitterbug Smart2 for 3 weeks now, but activation did not go as I thought as NOTHING came over from my Samsung Jitterbug Touch3 as I was promised (so much for the Cloud), I had to reload Apps, set up all of my contacts, copy pictures from old to new phone, etc. And setup all of the emails I had on the Samsung touch3. (Not sure why they ditched Samsung for Alcatel).

Also, if you do not use Gmail greatcalls is not so willing to assist you with set up other emails. I was having issues with Yahoo and Exchange Outlook (my work email) setup and syncing up real time. I am grateful for the experienced customer service Mike and Rick as after customer service logged into my phone they did assist me with getting Yahoo email working on the Yahoo app and then Outlook exchange using Gmail. After updates were applied to Gmail it was finally syncing in real time.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I have been with Jitterbug/Great Call for over a year and I have added 2 phones since then. I have had nothing but terrible experience with customer service until today. February 11, 2020 between 1 and 2 pm. A man named TIM spent the time to listen to our problems. Helped us connect to our wifi so that we wouldn't go over our usage. Hopefully ALL the problems we have been having with billing and over usage will be solved. Thank you Tim for making me decide Great Call may not be so bad after all.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Bought this phone Dec 2019. Had volume issues but realized the volume control was on low. Then I accidentally erased a few apps trying to move them off the HOME screen, not knowing what I was doing, lol. Jitterbug helped me with these problems & got everything back on for me. I needed to read instructions first (which I found just as easy as using the phone)! I only wish the plans had better options & $10.00 cheaper for our plan we got. I am very happy & satisfied with the phone, it is just SO EASY TO USE. I use the text a lot & never had a problem with things automatically erasing (like a reviewing did), or any other of those problems, sorry they did. I have no problems, in fact I found out how to do a certain task with it - that the Jitterbug people said was 'impossible'. lol. I really like it, my husband has one too & is just as happy with his.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I have owned the Jitterbug Smart Phone 2 for one year. In that time the phone has worked as I expected except for the phone message device. Approximately 6 months after purchase the phone ceased taking messages. I had to ask friends to use the text service instead to insure that I would get vital messages. With advanced arthritis, texting is difficult for me. Twice I have called the Smartphone2 support services for repair of the messaging device. Both times technical help worked with me for approximately 2 hours to restore the messaging service. Neither time was successful. Now I have requested support a third time. This tech tells me I need to have a second phone in use in order for her to offer support.

I am on social security. I can't afford a second phone to fix the first phone! I am told I am not able to have my phone replaced, as per warranty, unless I have the third support person make an attempt to fix my phone. My conclusion is that this phone is a bad option for seniors who are on limited income as support service for the phone is virtually useless. You will be taken to the cleaner on this product.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Ann, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Purchased for a elderly friend that need to get rid of her land land because of price. I call Great Call and set her up with what we thought was unlimited talk and no text for 19.99 a month. Her first bill was 200 dollars. When she called they said she went over her 250 minutes. So obviously they do not tell the truth with the packages and she had to up her plan to 45 dollars a month to get more minutes. I will report to AARP and consumer services and Attorney General and whomever will listen. IT IS NOT RIGHT FOR GREATCALL AND JITTER BUG TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ELDERLY CITIZENS.... SHAME ON THEM.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Doreen, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Purchased this phone for my 94 year old dad 2 months ago. Have had nothing but problems ever since. 30 percent of calls are “dropped” and the phone frequently says no service when in good cell service area. Called Great Call customer service and after very long and frustrating waits I was told that the issues we were experiencing were not uncommon and they were trying to find a solution for them, but couldn’t help solve the problems now. I bought this phone to make it easier for my dad to call me but instead it has caused him tremendous anxiety because he doesn’t get my calls and I have trouble contacting him. Just bought him another type of phone with Sprint service. Do not buy this phone until issue fixed.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Sherrie, we are sorry to hear you have encountered a problem with your Jitterbug phone and we appreciate your feedback. If you are seeing “No Service” on the screen of a Smart phone, we suggest checking at the top of the screen to see what your signal strength is. If you have no bars that would indicate the phone is not able to receive the signal. If you have one or two bars, this is a fair or poor signal and could cause calls to drop. Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, building materials and topography affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. Please give us a call at 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 6pm Pacific Time, if we can be of any further assistance.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I'm a senior citizen and cannot pay this kind of money for something that is not reliable. I need to get something I can rely on and the Jitterbug phones do not seem to be it, please refund my money so I can go on my brothers plan where he gets free phone for me and put on his service so I have what I need especially where family member is in hospice. I need reliability.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Elaine, we are sorry to hear you have encountered a problem with your Jitterbug phone and we appreciate your feedback. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. To ensure your phone is working properly and to better assist you, please give us a call at 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 6pm Pacific Time.

Original review: April 11, 2020

Got a Jitterbug II smart phone a couple of weeks ago. Played with it to see that it was what we wanted. Seems to be. Called Great Call customer service. Went through the recording tree and go to the "...press 2 for flipphones, 3 for smartphones." Pressed 3 and got dead silence for about 5 seconds followed by "Thank you for calling Great Call" followed by a hangup. Tried again for multiple times on multiple days, even using different phones. Same problem. Sent email, no response. So today I called and pressed 2 instead. Got an immediate response and all went well. I explained that the smartphone option was dead and the tech

said she'd let the right people know. I would have just chalked it up to the Covid-19 miasma, but since the other options were working, I doubt that had anything to do with it. Conclusion? The phone works fine, the recording tree didn't work over a 3 or 4 day period, not a good indicator for a company that deals in phones!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Larry, we are sorry to hear that you had issues with getting connected to our Customer Service and would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. The Coronavirus pandemic has created unprecedented impacts worldwide; however, our highest priority is to help ensure the health and safety of our employees and customers. We appreciate your patience as we experience higher than normal wait times due to an increase in e-mail inquiries at this time, but rest assured, we are still dedicated to responding to your inquiry as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Original review: March 5, 2020

Updated on 03/20/2020. Here is an Update with nuisance texting from PELA. You sent a suggestion on 3/13 to "text back to STOP." Well they either DON'T read or DON'T care. Received messages on 3/14 and again today on 3/20. If it continues are you going to continue giving me a "credit" to offset the nuisance texting?

Original review: I got my Jitterbug "flip" late last year -- phone is nice - BIG numbers and easy to operate. I had signed up for the LOWEST (around $15) price as the phone was for emergencies ONLY. Well my bill is a little more than $30 (I figured all the fees), but the worst part is the "Unsolicited" phone calls and text [which I specifically requested NOT to have]. Every week I get texts from PELA about CBD which is really beginning to be a nuisance. Now today I start getting phone calls from Chicago for automobile insurance. Great Call says they DO NOT sell your information but they share it with their affiliates -- is that not the same as selling, you get the same unsolicited phone calls and text and it is charged to your bill! I think it is time to find something BETTER.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Patricia, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to assist you further, please look for a private message from us that is requesting additional information.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Can't download files & voicemail does not work properly. My wife and I transferred our cellphone service to Great Call during October 2019. We got two Jitterbug II Smartphones. Since then, when we call each other, we do not get the other persons voicemail. We get our own. That's worthless. I need to leave her a voicemail, not leave one to myself. We've called this issue in 3 times and, while customer service is courteous, they can't get Verizon to fix the issue and no one follows up with us. Dead air from Great Call.

Two. We can't download files from texts....only pictures or similar. We confirmed this is normal in a conversation with customer service. That is not acceptable. We are missing valuable communications and data because the phone's texting capabilities are sub-normal. It's not a Great Call. It's Cheap Call and poor customer service. Buyer beware. You get what you pay for. I want good cellphone service, not nice-nice Reps who do not follow up. BTW. I spent 25 in telecom. I know poor service when I get it.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Kevin, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to assist you further, please look for a private message from us that is requesting additional information.

Jitterbug Smart accessories

GreatCall offers Jitterbug Smart and Jitterbug Smart 2 accessories for extra charging options, screen protection and more.

Extra Wall Charger

The charger is compatible with both Jitterbug Smartphone devices and costs $19.99.

Car Charger

The Jitterbug Smart charger cable stretches from 12 to 40 inches and works with both Jitterbug Smartphones. Cost is $24.99.

Glass Screen Protector

This protects your Jitterbug Smart2’s screen for $9.99.

Wallet Folio Case

For $24.99, combine your Jitterbug Smartphone case and your wallet into one with GreatCall’s Wallet Folio Case.

Gel Case

Available in red, blue and clear, GreatCall’s gel cases protect your Jitterbug Smartphone from scratches. Prices range from $5 to $19.99.

Bluetooth Headset

Bluetooth lets you have conversations on Jitterbug Smart devices without having to take out your device. GreatCall’s Bluetooth Headset costs $49.99.

Jitterbug Smart caregiver tools

You can keep an eye on your aging loved ones without being intrusive through Jitterbugs Smart's GreatCall Link app. View your family member's phone battery status, location, and activities to make sure they are keeping up with important routine tasks. You'll also receive a notification if 5Start Urgent Response is used. Depending on your plan choice, you can even speak to a nurse or board-certified doctor without an appointment, no matter the time of day.

Jitterbug Smart monitoring center

Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers are located throughout the United States. With the touch of a button, you'll immediately connect with a US-based IAED-certified agent who can dispatch help. Multilingual operators are available, and there are over 200 languages spoken.

Your location is obtained through GPS and shared with EMTs. Any information you have available in your personal profile, such as medications and allergies, is shared with medical personnel.

Jitterbug Smart FAQ

Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Smart?
    No, Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Smart.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smart medical alert system?
    No, you do not have to sign a contract to get a Jitterbug Smartphone.
    What is Jitterbug Smart’s return policy?
    Jitterbug has a 30-day refund policy. GreatCall will refund your money, less restocking fees, within that period; however, if you’ve used more than 30 minutes of talk time, you will be responsible for the first month of service.
    What is Jitterbug Smart’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel Jitterbug Smart without fees at any time.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Jitterbug Smart monitoring service?
    Yes, but GreatCall does provide discounts on shared Jitterbug Smart plans. Contact GreatCall Jitterbug customer service for more details.
    Where are Jitterbug Smart monitoring centers located?
    Jitterbug Smart connects to several centers dispersed throughout the United States.
    Do Jitterbug Smart emergency response services require a landline?
    No, 5Star Urgent response is accessed on the Jitterbug smartphone.
    Does Jitterbug Smart offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    A Jitterbug Smart device replacement option can be added to any plan for a small monthly fee. If you have a problem with your device, Jitterbug phone troubleshooting is available through GreatCall customer service.
    Does Jitterbug Smart offer a free trial period?
    No, Jitterbug Smart does not offer a free trial period.
    Are Jitterbug Smart medical alert systems waterproof?
    No, Jitterbug Smart devices are not waterproof.
    How much does Jitterbug Smart cost?
    The price of a Jitterbug Smart2 is $112.49, and users can select plans as low as $14.99 (250 minutes), or opt into plans with unlimited talk, text and data for $59.99 per month.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Smart?

Yes. GreatCall excels at creating and designing mobile and safety products that help give aging adults the continued freedom and independence they crave. There are Jitterbug phone reviews cons — like some of their best features are only available through a Health and Safety package — but it could be worth it for the value those plans provide.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information