Call toll free
4.09/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

EASY - The Jitterbug Smart is designed to be easy-to-use from the moment you turn it on. A new, 35% bigger screen makes it even easier to stay connected. Everything you want to do from texting and taking pictures, to emailing and browsing the Internet is organized in a single list on one screen with large, legible letters. This simplified approach takes all the guesswork out of using a smartphone and puts everything right at your fingertips.

SMART - With an ultra-modern look, the Jitterbug Smart has been specially designed with GreatCall’s signature simplicity. New Voice Typing, combined with a bigger, 5.5-inch screen makes writing emails and texts effortless, plus larger icons help you navigate easily. Turn your easy-to-use Jitterbug Smart into a personal safety device with GreatCall’s exclusive, pre-loaded 5Star, Urgent Care and MedCoach apps.

AFFORDABLE - Other smartphones require excessive plans that make you pay for data you don’t need. For as low as just $2.49 per month, GreatCall provides a variety of data plans so you’re able to add the one that works best for you. Compared to other cell phone companies, you could save over $300 per year, making Jitterbug Smart phone plans the most affordable on the market. And, we also provide free tech support.

Jitterbug Smart Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Jitterbug is an easy-to-use flip phone. Customers appreciate the phone's large screen and easy-to-see buttons. You can use the Jitterbug to call, text, and email.

PROS

• Low monthly cost
  • Easy-to-press buttons
  • Large, easy-to-read screen
  • Fast emergency response
  • Can send texts and photos easily

CONS

• Customer service response times can vary
  • Shipping times can vary

922 Jitterbug Smart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I cannot review the phone as I wasn't able to get past the poor customer service! I was disconnected and when I was able to reach someone they were very uneducated about the product and services! I bought the phone today and will be returning it to the store tomorrow! No way my 80 year old mother would be able to deal with the poor customer service. Too bad because I was looking forward to getting her a phone she could actually use!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Kellie, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience, we appreciate your feedback and assure you that it is not typical of us. GreatCall, strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available and we record our calls for quality and assurance. We look forward to the opportunity of a second chance and can be reached at 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific time or you can activate online, www.greatcall.com, and you will receive a $10.00 credit on your account.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

The weather app on Mom's Smart2 phone pops up an ad! I called Customer Support to find out why and how to get it to stop. I got bounced around to 6 different people or "departments" and never did get the issue resolved. Their reps either barely spoke English or were just downright rude. Think HARD about going with this company. If you have problems with the phone itself, you'll find yourself ready to throw it out the window trying to get help from their customer service. ZERO stars!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. GreatCall’s award winning Customer Service is 100% U.S. based. We apologize that you are receiving ads while using the weather app. The weather app is a 3rd party app and unfortunately, we do not have control of the pop-up ads that appear on the application. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My daughter got me a Jitterbug for Christmas. I use it for making calls and receiving calls. I got my family on the list. I also take pictures with it. I’m satisfied with Jitterbug.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Placed the order by phone and waited about a week. Called the number that comes with the phone to initiate the service and no one answers after 6 minutes. Tried a second time and same. Called a different number, one from their website, to transfer my old number over to the new phone. Transferred about six (6) times before I got someone that knew what they were doing. Finally got a woman on the line named Brittany who was patient, understood the problem and was knowledgeable. It did take a while dealing with another carrier but she got me connected, checked to make sure it was working and was very gracious.

I suggest that if you do get a Smartphone 2 and have problems be patient and get the right person to set your phone up. The phone works great. The instructions that came with the phone (and any that are online) fail to tell what size extra memory card and how to install it. I transferred one from a Galaxy S3 with 32 GB over and kept all my audiobooks, pictures, music. The Bluetooth connected to an earpiece and my car with no problem. I do recommend that if you are having trouble setting up just keep asking to be transferred to someone else. There are people working there that know what they're doing.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I like Jitterbug Touch but I don't know how to operate everything on it. I read about the phone in a magazine and I got it since it looked like the numbers were big enough for me to see. I also like the 5Star helpline service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

John still struggles a little bit with using the Jitterbug. I wish the home screen would have icons like an iPhone does, where you could just push the buttons on the icon. That would be easier instead of the current menu because it's a little difficult the way it's set up for him. Also, it's not loud enough for him even when we have it on full volume. But overall, Jitterbug is a little more user-friendly for the elderly population. I'd recommend it to a friend and older friend.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I had a little phone that was driving me crazy and didn’t really do much so my stepson bought me a Jitterbug Touch. All I do with it is talk to the people if I don’t turn it off by accident. It's better compared to my old phone but I don’t use it very much. It’s a minimal part of my life. I wish it was simpler. I’m an old person and I don’t know a whole lot about it and how to works. Fortunately, I have a genius stepson who helps me, at least, to get by.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Having purchased the small Jitterbug then the larger Jitterbug, I believed the Smart 2 phone would be a lovely and useful item for me. It is a complete failure

for receiving calls, receiving voice calls, attempting to acquire help with these failures and waiting two hours+ for a reply to correct voicemails. Now I am not even able to open the Smartphone to the home section to receive a call that the blinking light indicates. It is very important that I receive all calls especially regarding doctor's appointments etc.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Gloria, upon reviewing your account I see you spoke with our Customer Service this morning to resolve the issue. If you are still experiencing this issue, please call us at 1-800-733-6632, between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific time, seven days a week.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I called Jitterbug up and told them that I wanted to try their phone. I got the Jitterbug Touch and it’s hard for me to use because I’m 88 years old. I still have a hard time with it but I’m making it. I've also spoken to their customer service team and they've been fine.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Save your money!!! Have spent 2 days and over 8 hours trying to activate this phone. Support is awful! After 2 days, numerous transfers to other departments, multiple restarts, and several request for a new phone, support finally decided they would replace phone. This time they said they would send an already activated phone which we did not want. Guess what? It will be at least 3 business days to activate and another 3 business days for shipping. In the meantime, my neighbor who is 83 years old, has no phone.

For a company who "PROMOTES SAFETY", this is absurd. Asked repeatedly for an unactivated phone to be shipped overnight for "safety reasons" and our request was repeatedly denied. Also, the pricing in AARP and online is way off. What is advertised as unlimited test, calls, and 100mb data is almost $60.00 a month. John, you should be ashamed to represent this company. Anyone considering this phone or company, please go to Costco or another carrier for better service and support!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I use the Jitterbug for calling, but I also like the fact that I can text and email with it. I got too much phone for my use, but I’m gonna keep it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Had a great deal of difficulty to transfer/download contacts in phone to car for hands free dialing. Brought car to dealer - they could not do it. Contacted GreatCall cust serv - after disconnect and 2 holds - they advised me there is NO capability for “smart’ phone 2 to upload contacts to auto. You must dial using phone - then it will come over auto speakers. Sad for a 2018 phone. It also seems you can't send a text and photo together - they must be separate - at least that’s what I have discovered - could be me, I don’t have a Jitterbug because I helped Bill Gates. GreatCall did fight for me to get my old phone number from Sprint - good job, took 3 days.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I’m legally blind, and I went with Jitterbug Touch as I can see the numbers and stuff better. I have learned to use the voice search, too, and it is easier. The phone is all right, except that I’m still not used to how to call in a missed call. I haven’t had anybody who was able to help me set it up. Had I had that done, I’d be a lot better off. It would be a lot easier if they would either print the instructions in a larger print or if I have someone where I bought it that could help me do that. They didn’t when I bought mine at Best Buy. Nevertheless, I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I saw Jitterbug Touch in AARP and it looked like it might be easy enough for me to learn. I got it and it's an appropriate size but it isn't easy for me to learn. I’ve had it for about six months. I try and keep it on me because my children want it that way. But most of the time, it is out of my sight and it’s out of my mind. I cannot answer an incoming call. By the time I get to listen, they’re gone and that’s the only complaint I have. Other than that, I have learned to text and photos and do a few other things. I would tell anyone who asks that it’s a good buy.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The absolute worst network to ever exist. All four people spoken to plus a manager said different things when poorly attempting to answer questions. There is no reason for a company (that's supposed to be put together and everyone is supposed to know how to answer questions correctly) to have all totally different answers for the same question. Train your staff.

Jitterbug Smart response

GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits. Our rate plans can be reviewed on our website, www.greatcall.com. Jitterbug phones were specifically designed to work on the GreatCall network which is powered by the nation’s largest and most dependable wireless network. Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, building materials and topography can affect service, service may vary significantly within buildings.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I thought Jitterbug Touch would be easy to use and I see everybody working on them all of the time. I said, “Oh I need one of those.” And I purchased one but I wish I got the little one. My Jitterbug Touch is smarter than I am. It’s wonderful. I just don't know how to use it. So, I just have it in my purse to call for emergencies.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Jitterbug Touch has been very good, and I liked their price. Trying to get the right number before was frustrating, but I've got less frustration since using Jitterbug and it has been very successful. I'm satisfied and I highly recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I had a Jitterbug Smart phone. Sometimes people I was calling could not hear me. Some calls did not ring my phone but went to voice mail. I had 2 replacement phones with the same results. Customer Care wanted to send me the Smartphone. I refused. The refused to give me any type of refund. The phone never did work correctly. This happened within 90 days but was outside the 30 day refund period. Now where can I use the Jitterbug Smart phone?

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Michael, we are sorry about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Smart phone. Please send an email to customerservice@greatcall.com, with your account information and a copy of your review comments. We would like to review what kind of refund you may be eligible for.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I had a phone from a different provider which wasn't good. Conversely, my daughter had a wonderful experience with Jitterbug. But then, when I asked her to help with the phone I had, she told me she was having trouble with it too. So, I got rid of my phone and got a Jitterbug instead. Currently, I use it mostly for emergencies. I also use the phone and text features. Though I haven't interacted with their reps a lot since the initial application, they have been very nice to me.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have a Jitterbug smartphone and I can't get used to it. There is something wrong with the device and I would like to trade it in for a regular flip smartphone. I'm dissatisfied and I'm canceling.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi John, we are sorry you are experiencing a difficult time with your Jitterbug Smart phone. To protect your account security, we are unable to accept cancellation requests via online and therefore ask that you please call us at your earliest convenience so that we can properly verify your account information and assist you. We are available at 1-800-733-6632 between 5:00am and 8:00pm, Pacific Time, Monday through Sunday.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I needed a cell phone for safety reasons. When I was listening on TV, the ad said a Jitterbug was so easy to use. Furthermore, I have several friends with phones who told me that if I got a Jitterbug, they would tell me how to use it. Eventually, I got one but none of them ever told me how to use it. I tried to use it myself but then it goes by itself somewhere else and I don't know how to get it back. Currently, I only use the phone I have for its emergency button. I'm older and I might not be able to learn how to use the device over the phone. Somebody sitting beside me and explaining to me how to use it would be better. Even so, I'm paying for the phone despite the fact that I'm not using it, so I'm thinking of canceling. Nevertheless, if I could use it, it's a good cell phone to have.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Sylvia, we do offer How-to-Videos which are available at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzDwpIWlAv1VvxcSlLLuP5Bfo3ppX7--P or you may call into our Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632 between 5 am – 8 pm PST, to request a DVD. In addition, our Customer Service Representatives can help you get us to your phone and walk you through any questions you may have.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Jitterbug Touch's advertising in the AARP newsmagazine had me convinced that I could handle the phone but so far I haven’t been able to do it. When I started with it, my granddaughter helped me. I told her to go ahead and put the lock on it, and I have never been able to unlock it. I shouldn’t have gotten a smartphone to begin with because what I have is a flip phone and I have never gotten beyond the technology. I need to talk to a technician and help me through it, but I’m a little apprehensive because I got burned one time before by some technicians from another company. But so far, my experience with Jitterbug Touch has been fine.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Carla, we are sorry to hear about your lock screen issues and we would like to help you. If you could please call us, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific time, from another phone, our Customer Service team can assist you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I've heard that Jitterbug Smart is really good and simple, and I tried it out because I have never gotten one of these things before. I love what I can do so far and I know there's so much more that I can do with it. I'm 72 and it's easy to read the big screen. I'm not using everything I know it can do because I don't know how yet. I mostly use it for my Bible study and lessons that I have to do because I can get them on the phone. But I want to learn how to get on the internet and look up things. And now that I'm learning pretty good how to install that stuff up, I want to go a little further. I went to the library and they were helping me with it, and then I got sick and had to miss some of my lessons so I've been playing with the phone on my own. I also need to learn how to find the medical help if I need it since I'm alone. The phone seems to be a good way to keep in touch.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Since I’ve quit working for this large company, I don’t use my cellphone nearly as much as I used to. And then my cellphone bill was too high, and I was paying for stuff that I wasn't using, so I went with Jitterbug. They were very professional when I talked to their team. And it's been a great experience, so far. I’ve used most of its features and they’re great. It gives me the weather and I have access to the internet if I need to. I'm getting older in my years, so the numbers on the phone being bigger is great as well.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I thought I was buying a phone that was easy to use. Three months later I still can only make a phone call after numerous calls to Great Call for help. Their directions are incomplete and assume some basic knowledge of phones which I do not have. My email connection to Google was declined because of insufficient security on the app. This is a waste of money unless it had come with an in person training course. I will replace the phone with a truly easy phone. The only people who would find this phone to be easy are educated in the setup and use of phones like this.

Jitterbug Smart response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with Jitterbug Smart and we appreciate your feedback.There are 16 how to videos on the GreatCall web page to assist in using the phone and GreatCall’s 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, is available, between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Time, to answer any questions.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Jitterbug Touch is a good phone and you can do a lot with it. The phone looks okay and I can see the buttons. Also, their team has been friendly when talking to them. I used to have two cellphones years ago, but one of them didn’t work out and the other one was too expensive. I’m not really computer-savvy and I don’t use the Jitterbug service a lot because I lost contact with a whole bunch of people. But, I know I can get help from other people with it. Overall, I like the Jitterbug phone and I can’t say anything against it.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Jitterbug was said to be easier than what I had before. But I don’t understand a lot of stuff about it. The only time I use Jitterbug is when the kids call or I call somebody. The reception is good when they call in. However, I don’t really use all the minutes and we get this sound that is not like when somebody is calling. And it keeps that sound up a lot, so I don’t know if somebody is leaving a message and I don’t know how to get that text message. My daughter has a different one, but she doesn’t know why that it’s like that either. The features would be okay if you’d know how to work it.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Jean, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall designed the easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. There are 17 how to videos to assist in using the phone and GreatCall’s 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, is available, between the hours of 5 am and 8 pm Pacific Time, Monday – Saturday to answer any questions.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The Jitterbug phone is fine and I like its features. Ivan uses it in emergencies and he can get on it easier than he did on the other phone he had before.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

After reading reviews (including mine) it is obvious that this phone is a bad investment, yet Jitterbug refuses to refund me for its purchase and billed me even when I told them I would not be using it. Stay away from this. I formerly had an iPhone from Apple that I had NO trouble with.

Jitterbug Smart response
Hello Tilda, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug and we appreciate your feedback.

Please call GreatCall Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Time, 7 days a week, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

With Jitterbug, I don’t worry about using the cellphone anymore because it's user-friendly. The viewing screen is much larger than my flip-phone, and the contrast of the color and the lettering is great. They also have this medical option on their phone. I highly recommend it. Their team is absolutely professional and very knowledgeable, as well. There was nothing I called about that wasn’t addressed quickly and efficiently.

Jitterbug Smart expert review by Shelley Webb

The Jitterbug Smart from GreatCall takes mobile alert technology to the next level by combining smartphone and medical alert technology. It is designed to create an all-in-one solution for those who need medical monitoring and their families.​

• Affordable plans: Users pay one affordable monthly fee for data, texting, phone minutes and health and safety applications. Choose the plan that works for you, and adapt it as needed since you aren’t locked into a contract.

• Easy to use and intuitive design: Smartphones can be intimidating, but the simple and intuitive design of the Jitterbug Smart incorporates large keys and an easy-to-read menu, allowing for easy adaptation.

• 5Star app: The 5Star app makes it easy to get help in an emergency. Simply press a button for immediate emergency response.

• Caregiver support: Caregivers can check in on their loved ones without intruding thanks to the GreatCall Link app. This GPS-enabled app allows caregivers to keep track of their loved ones, and it automatically alerts caregivers when the 5Star button has been pressed so they can react quickly.

• Resources: Learn how to make the most of your smartphone with GreatCall’s Learning Center. Their video library, how-to cards and interactive online courses help users and their caregivers understand the full capabilities of their Jitterbug Smart.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons who have recently retired, persons with newly diagnosed or uncontrolled epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information