Call toll free
1.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones are for those who want a simple medical alert device that doubles as a phone. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to 5Star Urgent Response.

PROS

• Quick response time
  • Helpful caregiver services
  • Great service area
  • Designs/functions for older adults

CONS

• No voice-enabled options
  • No waterproof options

Top Jitterbug Flip Reviews

The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring… she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me.

...I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency….

Jitterbug flip review

GreatCall created the Jitterbug Flip as a phone for older adults. Although it can act as a simple cell phone, the Jitterbug Flip also has a 5Star Urgent Response button that instantly contacts emergency medical services for seniors’ health and safety. The display is large, so it’s easy to read, and the menu options are easy to understand. Other design touches include big buttons, a more powerful speaker, a flashlight app and a magnifying function for those with vision issues.

Available in graphite or red, Jitterbug Flip phones weigh 4.7 ounces. The device is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall and less than 1 inch thick, with a 3.2-inch internal display and 1.44-inch external display. The device has a camera, GPS, Bluetooth, speakerphone capabilities and is hearing aid compatible. Jitterbug Flip specs also include 1GB of built-in memory storage so you can store hundreds of contacts, dozens of messages and thousands of photos.

Jitterbug Flip phone plans

Jitterbug Flip offers Basic, Preferred and Ultimate phone plans for customers with different lifestyles and activity levels. All phone plans include Jitterbug 5Star service. Talk and text services are available for additional fees.

• Jitterbug Flip Basic: The Jitterbug Flip Basic phone plan is $19.99 per month and includes 5Star Urgent Response, Check-In Call, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games, and The Wellness Call.
  • Jitterbug Flip Preferred: The Jitterbug Flip Preferred phone plan is $24.99 per month and includes all services covered in the Jitterbug Flip Basic plan, as well as the Urgent Care and GreatCall Link services.
  • Jitterbug Flip Ultimate: The Jitterbug Flip Ultimate phone plan is $34.99 per month and has everything from the Jitterbug Flip Basic and JItterbug Flip Preferred plan, but also includes the Personal Operator and Product Replacement services.

Compare Jitterbug Flip packages

All Jitterbug Flip packages come with 5Star Response, Check-In Call, MedCoach, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games and The Wellness Call services.

BasicPreferredUltimate
Basic$19.99
Preferred$24.99
Ultimate$34.99

Jitterbug Flip services

Jitterbug Flip services benefit those who are independent but want the peace of mind knowing that support is readily available in an emergency. 24/7 professional assistance is available, and caregivers can easily check on their loved one’s health and wellness without disturbing them. Service plans are customizable to suit a variety of needs.

• Check-in Call: Daily, automated check-in calls are available with health and wellness questions based on personal preference. Pain level, appetite and overall well-being are all check-in options.
  • MedCoach: A service that reminds you to stay on a medication schedule or refill prescriptions.
  • Daily Health Tips: Daily health tips from the American Heart Association that include information on health, wellness, activity and diet.
  • Brain Games: Fun brain games help keep you focused and improve memory.
  • The Wellness Call: A daily check-in call that puts you in touch with a wellness expert.
  • Urgent Care: Users speak with a real, live nurse and even a board-certified doctor at any time without an appointment. Additionally, you can get prescriptions for common medications over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: Caregivers can stay informed about the health and safety of their loved ones through the GreatCall Link app.
  • Personal Operator: Unlimited access to a live operator who is ready to assist you with any information you may need.
  • Product Replacement: If your Jitterbug Flip phone is broken, lost, or even stolen, this Product Replacement service replaces the device at no additional cost.

Jitterbug Flip Reviews

Original review: May 28, 2019

For a few years I used the GreatCall Lively Alert. I had it only 3 months and it stopped charging. I called customer support and they walked me through all the tests and decided that it was not functional. The rep said that she would send out the Jitterbug Flip as a temporary solution until the new improved Lively becomes available. I actually like the Jitterbug Flip much better than the Lively Alert and will keep it. The charger issue can be resolved by pushing down and wriggling the phone in the charger unit. When I first received it I noted that I could not hear the speakerphone well. With speaker off it was much louder. I called Customer Service and the man said that a software update would be out in a few days.

Sure enough, it happened and now the speakerphone is working well. I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency. There are two things, however, that I would improve. The first is volume. For hard of hearing even the loudest is not that loud. How about making the volume a notch louder? Secondly, the Games. They are great for improving memory and response processing time but they have one big problem. After using it a few times it speeds up the point where it is impossible to answer the questions. It would be nice to choose a faster speed rather than have it forced on you. Overall, I think the phone that I received, and I guess I am a lucky one, is pretty good and does the job.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I purchased this neat phone after 2 yrs. deciding on it. I am not sorry so far. The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring, even as it is set at Max. I had my customer service rep. call me on it to check it out, I too told her I could barely hear it ring, she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me. I could hear the customer rep. perfect on it and she had me call 5* while on the phone with her, they too were very nice, told them I had just received the phone and wanted to check to see if we were connected. So far, everything is fine. I will be giving it a good testing when I go to babysit my grandsons in a few weeks for 2 wks. as it will be my only phone.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I tried Jitterbug Flip because I don’t use those other phones and it's much better. I can tap a button and get whoever I want. I got a problem with paying my bills now though. They automatically take my money out on the 18th of the month and I don’t like that. I tried to get it changed for my money to be taken out on the 3rd of the month because that’s when I get my little money and that’s when I pay my other bills. At the 18th of the month, if I don't have money in the bank then I have to pay that plus the $35 fee from the bank. I couldn’t get it changed though. But besides my payment statement, my experience with Jitterbug has been good so far.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Cathy, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Flip phone and Smart phone. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Would you please contact our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM – 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, so we can go through troubleshooting steps to resolve this matter.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Just sharing the experience my Dad has had. We both liked the idea of him having a user friendly phone and being able to call for help if he fell, etc. His complaints are that even on speaker the sound is not loud and he has to hold the phone close to his ear. Also, he says it's difficult to make a picture larger to see the detail. That could be user error or not. Unsure. However, my main concern as his daughter is the scammy fees and add on costs. There is no unlimited text/talk/internet for one set price. Each of them costs a fee and then even more money to get more internet time. He ended up not getting the emergency call system because of the increasing cost.

Even more concerning is they will call the day of and threaten to turn off your phone THAT day, if you have run over your allotted time and you don't do an instant verbal authorization over the phone to allow them to do the add on charge right there and then. That is super scary to me. Living in another state, I do not even want to think about my Dad being alone without his phone. So, overall I would not suggest. We will be adding my Dad to our family plan which is what we should have done in the first place. Sincerely....a concerned daughter.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Christine, we are sorry to hear of your experience and would like to assist you further. GreatCall offers unlimited talk, text, and data plans. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details, so we can assist you properly.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Had an early model which worked well, and the battery held a charge for approx. 6 days. The Company sent a Newer Model (which I did not request), and deactivated my original Flip phone. The "New" Model will not hold a charge for more than 3 days - even when turned Off! It also takes approx. 3 hrs to recharge! Called about this and was told to replace the battery - Not Cheap, Yes they charged me for it! Did not resolve the problem, in fact it got worse! Now if it holds a charge for 2 days I'm lucky! You can't travel anyplace in the USA without carrying the charger with you and God Forbid you travel to another country (You're out of Luck at getting it charged)!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Leon, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to review your account further. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional information.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

May seem like a small problem but it is very large for a 99 year old woman (my mom). Caller ID on her phone has stopped working. She has been told to hang up if she does not recognize a number/person because of all the scams out there. She cannot tell it is me calling. So I can't contact her. My brother tried to associate a ring tone for family members but that does not work either. Jitterbug support acknowledged the problem with caller ID but offered no workaround and no fix date. It's been two weeks. This is not a good phone or company for the elderly! It's all marketing with nothing behind it.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Luna, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to review your account further. Please look for a private message from us requesting further details.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I wish designers had experience with elderly people with beginnings of dementia. Telephone is not simple if an inadvertent press can disable a phone or make it not ring out loudly. First, the manual is incomplete. It lacks a full description of the menus. By the way, menus are of no use to people with dementia. They can perhaps open and close the phone, and dial a number. That is about all. A slide on/off button clearly labeled would be good - where you can see that the phone is on or off by looking at the button or by feeling it.

Yes and No buttons are also confusing to people who are not very comfortable with menus on devices. They were even confusing to me, and I work with computers daily. A sliding button for volume may also be a better idea. Looking for someone to design a phone for the elderly who can make it work, allow helpers to set a ring that can be heard, and to flash lights as an alert. This “ simple” phone is a long way from being simple enough.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Karen, we are sorry to hear of your experience with the Jitterbug Flip phone. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available and we greatly appreciate your feedback to improve future models.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Purchased a phone for elderly mother's use. Everything checked out for area coverage so we proceeded just to find out they have issues with network and devices! So, their service might not work for you. Ok, so now,what? Initially everyone is very helpful trying to "troubleshoot." In our case it just meant much wasted time. On the phone back and forth (you never get the same person to see the process through) and time mom was without a phone, returning one phone to be sent another and.... trying again. Only to conclude this isn't going to work. My next disappointment was how again, everyone is scripted to be helpful and understanding and assure you they will seamlessly help with returns and refunding you, but I guess if you aren't going to be a regular customer you kinda get put on the low priority.

I have made several calls and keep getting put off. I was finally told at least 15 business days from the time they received the returned phone. I waited an extra week past that, just to have everything reiterated to me and that it would be "escalated" with the financial team and to give them at least 3 more business days! Oh, and I should take (more) time to check back with them.. No, they don't plan on calling me (as good customer service would dictate) after they dropped the ball. I'm glad my elderly mom isn't having to deal with this, but makes me wonder with as many elderly that they service, how many are getting taken and may not have the cognitive abilities to remember "Hey that's right, I have a refund I'm supposed to be getting from them.. I better follow up with them." So far this ongoing "process" has taken over 2 months and going on 3 now!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Deborah, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have bought 3 phones beginning November 29, 2018. I was told when I added the other 2 phones that I would get free activation fee since I was already a customer. That was a lie. Also, I was told I could ask for Tootie and she would help me. That was a lie. Had a bad mix up with telephone numbers getting changed that shouldn't and other mistakes made when I bought the 2nd phone.

Then my husband got a smart phone on November 4, 2019. He was told there would be no problem to keep his old number. That it would be changed as soon as his phone was activated. That was a lie. It takes 3 business days and a lot of passwords and account numbers from the other carriers and then the same number may not be available. Then when you try to explain to someone else what people have promised, it's like, "Oh well not my problem." So we have 3 phones. I like the phones but don't care for the customer service. I thought it was for old people unfamiliar with the latest technologies. Someone needs to tell the customer services reps.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Cindy, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I purchased this phone for parents because of the simplicity of its functions. There are two major issues. First, the ringtone volume is too low. Even at maximum, they rarely answer the phone because they can't hear it. Even myself and my brother found it difficult to hear. Also, if one of your contacts call you, only their number appears on the screen. We all know how scammers target older people. I've always told my parents to not answer the phone if it's someone they don't know. They can't remember all of their contacts' number - who can!! So there is no protection from scammers - they answer their calls not knowing if the call is from a scammer or not. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Vicky, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Jitterbug Flip phone accessories

Jitterbug Flip packages include the charging dock and battery. Additional Jitterbug Flip phone accessories can be purchased separately to make charging, carrying and communication more simple.

EXTRA CHARGING DOCK
  • $24.99
  • Keep your Jitterbug Flip phone charged and ready with an additional charging dock.
TRAVEL WALL CHARGER
  • $19.99
  • The travel Jitterbug Flip phone charger cable is 45 inches long and compatible with 100–420-volt two-prong outlets.
CAR CHARGER
  • $24.99
  • The Jitterbug Flip car charger coiled cable stretches 12–40 inches.
HOLSTER CASE
  • $19.99
  • The Jitterbug Flip phone case easily attaches to a belt, pocket or purse to securely carry your device.
EXTRA BATTERY
  • $19.99
  • A Jitterbug Flip phone battery replacement for if you need a new one.
BLUETOOTH HEADSET
  • $49.99
  • Samsung HM1300 Bluetooth Headset enables hands-free communication with automatic pairing and static-free connection.

Jitterbug Flip caregiver tools

With the GreatCall Link app, caregivers know immediately if the Jitterbug device is on and where it is located. Caregivers are notified when the battery is low so they can remind their loved one to charge their device. The Link app also sends notifications for certain actions, such as when 5Star is utilized. You can check in to see if appointments are being kept, if medication has been taken and more. The monitoring GeatCall Link app comes included with the Preferred and Ultimate Jitterbug phone plans.

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip FAQ

Can I use the Jitterbug Flip with AT&T?
Jitterbug Flip comes with GreatCall’s standard network service, but it’s possible for an unlocked Jitterbug Flip phone to work on the AT&T network.
Can I block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone?
No, you can’t block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone.
How do I change my Jitterbug Flip plan?
You can change your Jitterbug Flip plan by contacting Jitterbug customer service agents over the phone.
What is Jitterbug Flip’s return policy?
You must return the Jitterbug Flip within 30 days to get a refund for the activation fee, first-month service charge and the cost of the device. Keep in mind that shipping charges aren’t refundable and restocking fees may apply.
Where can I buy Jitterbug Flip?
You can purchase Jitterbug Flip phones directly from the GreatCall website or by calling the number above. They are also available at popular retail stores like Walmart, Rite Aid and Amazon.
What is Jitterbug Flip cancellation policy?
You can cancel Jitterbug Flip service at any time, but you will be responsible for charges and overages through the date of final billing.
Does Jitterbug Flip offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Yes, Jitterbug Flip comes with a one-year standard limited warranty.
Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Flip?
Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Flip emergency call devices.
What is Jitterbug Flip’s average response time?
Operators immediately respond when you press the 5Star Urgent Response button.
Where are Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers located?
Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers have multiple locations and they service most of the United States.
Does Jitterbug Flip offer a free trial period?
No, Jitterbug Flip doesn’t offer a free trial period.
Are Jitterbug Flip medical alert systems waterproof?
No, the Jitterbug Flip is not waterproof.
How much does Jitterbug Flip phone cost per month?
Jitterbug Flip cost per month starts at $19.99 but your monthly charge could depend on which plan you choose.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Flip?

Yes. GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones can summon help in the event of a fall or other emergency. Jitterbug Flip has a powerful 5Start urgent response button along with a suite of other health and safety services. Urgent care assistance, medical advice, wellness calls, daily health tips, brain games and 24/7 emergency access. are just a few of the available Jitterbug Flip services.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information