4.13/5
Based on 210 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 24, 2018

1044 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

I had a phone but it was costing me too much. Since I'm a senior I thought I just needed a little simple phone and got Jitterbug. I'm enjoying my Jitterbug phone. I only use it in case a family needs to get in touch with me and it helps in case of emergency. Plus their customer service team were very pleasant and understanding. I'm just pleased to have a little phone in my pocket every now and then. And I've talked to a few friends of mine about it.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I'm often out to country areas to let my German Shepherd run. Also, I’m getting older at 62. I could fall, hurt myself or get lost. So, my wife told me to get a cell phone. I also have a thing called Essential tremor. My hands aren’t steady. I also have large man hands and it's difficult for me to push very small buttons on some smartphones. So, I got the Jitterbug and it worked fine for me. I liked the Jitterbug because the buttons and screen are bigger. Then, less than a year ago, I upgraded to a slightly thinner and larger model of the Jitterbug. The Jitterbug team has been very helpful. When I called to see about replacing my Jitterbug, it was all handled very quickly. Also, I didn't have to wait very long to actually talk with someone. I have recommended Jitterbug to others.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We used GreatCall. We just applied for it on my mother years ago. We looked around and we needed a phone that has big buttons. We came across with Jitterbug for her and everything seems to be straightforward when I went online to set it up. She has arthritis in her hands and it was the only one we found with the large button. She likes it. She's in a nursing home and the phone is the communication between my wife and my wife's brother to communicate with her on a day-to-day basis. I've recommended Jitterbug Flip to our friends.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 11, 2018

My sister purchased this Jitterbug Smart Phone for our mother about a year ago, and it worked fine at the beginning and was good for 4-6 months before she started to have major issues with it. Couldn't make or receive calls, phone numbers would end up being cleared somehow, and screen would freeze. We've contacted customer service on at least 4 occasions to troubleshoot and walk through correcting the issues and get her phone fixed, and each time everyone was nice, however no one had a reason why the phone was acting up.

There was one recommendation that she needs to connect the phone quarterly and apply the updates via internet. My mom does not have internet and is unable to do this on her own. Even without the updates, I would think that this phone should not have any issues with making or receiving calls, I can understand how it would affect some of the other features. This experience has been very frustrating for both my mom and the rest of the family because we know she does not have a properly functioning cell phone. At this point we are going to look for another cell phone that we know is more reliable.

Jitterbug Flip response

At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. From technical support professionals to customer service representatives, we are available to assist any subscriber that encounters an issue and encourages them to contact us immediately for assistance, 1 800-733-6632. The Jitterbug Smart, like other smart cell phones, do require updates and although most will not effective calling or texting, some may and they may also require a connection to wi-fi to complete.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I'm old and I bought my Jitterbug Flip phone to carry with me when I go out, but I don't use it as my only phone. If I have a problem on the road, I have the phone right at hand to call somebody for emergency assistance. Although my daughter has shown me how to operate it, I'm not very sharp on it. I told my daughter that I only wanted to carry the Jitterbug phone as a security precaution and she looked for something basic. But I also use it for long distance calls. My Jitterbug phone has given me security. It's there when I need to use it and I'm satisfied with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: March 5, 2018

My sister had a Jitterbug and told me how easy it was to use it. The kids are mainly the reason I got it. I like to go out and walk, and they said I need one to take with me because I go out by myself. The phone is all right. I don't use it much, though. I've had different people show it to me, but I'm just not into all that.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I contacted Jitterbug to learn more about the basic flip phone and the Great Call service. I spoke to two different customer representatives on two separate days. I explained that I was considering my options and concerned about the price for the unlimited talk and text plan. Both representatives seemed very helpful and assured me that I had a 30 day trial period and could return the phone easily if I changed my mind.

I did change my mind about the cost of the plan and decided to return the phone one day after it arrived. I called the return department. This time the agent was rude and condescending. He offered to give me the plan for $9.95 for 6 months and insulted me for declining his offer. He said I would be charged at least $20 for the return. Originally, I thought that someday, I might decide to use a Jitterbug cellphone, but this agent changed that. He was so rude I don't think I will ever be a customer with Jitterbug. I am not sure I will get my refund for my return.

Jitterbug Flip response

Coleen, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with GreatCall's plans and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans. Our rate plans can be reviewed on our website, www.greatcall.com. GreatCall does not have contracts or cancellation fees and per our Customer Agreement, you can return your product within 30 days for a refund less the non-refundable shipping fee and a $10.00 restocking fee. The GreatCall Customer Agreement and 30-day return policy can be viewed in the user guide packaged with the phone or at our web page, www.greatcall.com.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I'm 81 and had quite a bit of surgery. My kids were driving me nuts and were bugging me to get a cellphone so I could hear family and friends' voices since they're far away. Even my part-time caregiver said, “Come on. Let’s get that thing ordered. All you can do is try it.” In the beginning, I had everything going on and didn’t know where I was. But now, I’m doing pretty well with my Jitterbug and I know what the arrows mean. The phone's nice because it's small. I don’t have to go cross the hall to get the phone. I could take it anywhere and leave the house with it. I could have choices with it too. My granddaughter gave me recent pictures of the grandchildren that I could look at. I even have the red star button at the end of my phone. It’s after all the numbers and has a five on it. If I press on it, I could get to the police department. I’ve been paying $14 for these other alert things and they'd blast out for me when I haven’t even calling anybody for help.

My Jitterbug phone has opened up a lot for me and changed me up for the better so I'm grateful. My old phone still ring sometimes but I don’t answer with it very often. I make people use the cellphone. I’m not seeing well but all the little numbers were fine for me. Now, my grandson wants me to tweet. I would write something when I learn how to do all that but I’m just mastering one thing at a time. I’m happy and loving my Jitterbug phone. For the elderly, it's great, reasonable and comforting to have.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I had the beginning of the Parkinson’s and it makes me have tremors and I thought Jitterbug would be the perfect phone for me because it says Jitterbug which is really funny. It dropped out of my case a couple of times and lately for some reason my phone hadn't been working. I could answer it and nobody can hear me. I may have to wait until someone comes to help me out with it. I can't hear well on to follow the instructions. But this is the best phone I've had and I've had quite a bit. My favorite thing is that red star button. I never had to use it but it sure makes me feel better. I have recommended this phone to a lot of people.

Jitterbug Flip response

Marie, the volume button on the Jitterbug Flip phone, is on the right-hand side of the phone. When you are on a call and press the upper side, the volume will increase. When you are not on a call and with the phone open, when you press the upper side, the ringer volume will increase. These instructions are on page 38 of your user guide. Our 100% U.S. based Customer Service team stands ready to assist you, please give us a call at 1-800-733-6632 between 6am to 7pm, Pacific Time, Monday – Saturday, from another phone.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I was looking forward to buy my MAMI a Jitterbug flip phone and to my amazed they DO NOT offer coverage to PUERTO RICO. I'm very SAD. The phone looks very good for her and no other networks CAN'T use the phone either. OH... WELL.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

My old flip phone from Greatcall worked fine. When I held the ON button down, I had dial tone in about 4 seconds. Then they offered an update to an "improved" version. This one takes between 58 to 60 seconds (I timed it several times) to get a dial tone after the screen first lights up. Since this is supposed to be an emergency phone, and 60 seconds could be a lifetime in an emergency, this is unacceptable. Customer service says "it is supposed to be that way," and then "we no longer support your old phone" when I said I wanted to go back to it. Really? Would the phone have suddenly stopped working because I hadn't bought the update?

Jitterbug Flip response

Dan, we are sorry that you are not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. The Flip phone is powered by 4G LTE and although it may take longer to turn on, the connection is stronger. We do recommend that you leave your phone powered on for faster access in case of an emergency.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I'm a retired scientist and engineer and I've pushed a lot of buttons in my life, but I finally want something simple. All I want in my retirement is to keep my mind active, but I want to make phone calls the simple way. I just want a phone that I can use to make a phone call, especially in an emergency, and I don’t want to have all kinds of data and weather and social media options on it. My wife has had some illness and I need to always keep track of her and take care of her.

The Jitterbug Flip is the phone for me. I like the big numbers on it because I have crappy eyes and I can't see things clearly all the time. When I go out to the grocery store, I make sure that I carry it with me. I usually have a shopping list but I manage to forget about this half the time, and I stay in touch with my wife with my phone if I don’t know what to get. When I went out driving, I used to stop at a great many accidents and I helped other people out with my phone. I want the red button on there, in case I have to report a terrible accident or in case my wife should have a heart attack, so that emergency button is important to me.

One time, when I was still getting used to my Jitterbug Flip phone, I locked it up and it wouldn't dial correctly. I called the Jitterbug reps on another phone and they instructed me on how to reboot my phone. Learning how to reboot my phone took a minute and I've never had another problem with it since then. I live in New Mexico and with the climate here, the air is really dry and we get static discharges on equipment all the time, and it's very possible to zap my phone, at least temporarily.

I've tried to sell the Jitterbug Flip phone to other people. It is a good phone for people who don’t want to spend six months learning how to use their phone. I went to lunch with a couple of other guys that had phones that were way too cumbersome and they were always cussing their phones out, and they were envious when I made phone calls with no fuss. Also, I could look through my messages easily and camera usage was good on it. I had another flip phone before, but it didn’t have any of the capabilities of my Jitterbug Flip phone. The Jitterbug Flip is a simple phone, but if I need to an extra feature, it's easy to access and figure out. I've had my Jitterbug Flip phone for a year and a half now and I love it. I'm a big fan of this phone and I wouldn't have anything else.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have Jitterbug as my second phone and I have a trouble with it. I send my bill but I don't know if I'm on time or not with it. I'm 89 years old and I can't figure out what number I needed to call. And so if I had a better communication with that it definitely would help me sending me my check.I just have two numbers on my phonebook - that of my daughter and son. And that's all I have. I don't want to get any more things out there on any of it but I just don't understand the functioning of this phone. That's the problem. I read the instructions and it just didn't equate with what this phone is.

Maybe the customer service reps will help me because it's a simple looking thing in comparison to all the other things that are out there. And that’s just yes and no. Apparently I press yes and then that doesn't help me. I'm not satisfied with the experience. I just can't seem to get any help with it. But probably if I were to use it more often maybe that would help. Maybe I could get my daughter to call me more on the Jitterbug number.

Jitterbug Flip response

Doris, we are sorry to hear you are having trouble using your Jitterbug Flip phone. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based Customer Service team stands ready to assist you. Please give us a call at 1-800-733-6632 between 6am to 7pm, Pacific Time, Monday – Saturday, from another phone.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Deceptive practice. Do not get phone. Had one month. Trying to withdraw 235 dollars from elderly account. Did not explain all charges and no phone should be that high. Will call Better Business Bureau about this company that is ripping off the elderly.

Jitterbug Flip response

Debra, we appreciate your feedback. A review of the account in question shows that the fees were for usage. GreatCall will always take the time to understand each individual subscriber’s needs and usage requirements before we recommend a service plan. We provide usage notifications to inform our users of any potential overage charges and request a call to Customer Service so we can recommend a higher rate plan to absorb any overages fees.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I've had the flip phone for almost a year now and it has worked great up until two months ago. Now the phone has static sometimes, the voice breaks up and the caller on the other end can't hear me. I can hear them for they can't hear me. Anyone having these same unpleasant experiences?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I had an old antique phone before that was connected with Verizon but they kept raising the rent and I couldn't afford it after a while. My mother gave me a Jitterbug phone and she had it connected with hers. I've had it since 2011 and it works pretty well. I've recommended it to several friends.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I wanted a simple smartphone for my husband. From the very beginning this phone was difficult to use. At first I thought it was user error but it was not. Sometimes the phone would ring and no matter what happened you could not answer it. It was very frustrating to my husband. It could take hours before he received a text message I sent. Customer Service was helpful but every time we turned around there was another problem. I finally bought a Samsung smartphone and he is very happy with it and is not frustrated at all. The service can get expensive if you use data.

Jitterbug Flip response

Pammiesue, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits. GreatCall designed the easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. There are 17 how to videos on the GreatCall web page to assist in using the phone and GreatCall’s 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, is available, between the hours of 6am and 7pm Pacific Time, Monday – Saturday to answer any questions.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We got our 92 year old Mom the Flip phone because of the big numbers. The phone has nice features but we have had lots of issues. The 1st one they had to keep “updating” and we had to keep taking out the battery. It froze up, wouldn’t ring, bad sound, hard to hear, just about everything. I call. They are sending a new one BUT if they don’t find a problem with the old one (less than a week old) we will get charged for the new one! What??? Why would I send a phone back that worked? Got the new one and it looks like it will work. Mom call me and I can’t hear her. Really? Now we have another one being sent out. Customer service was pretty short with me today when I was just trying to ask questions to see if we were doing something wrong. Mom does like the phone or I would have been done with this.

Jitterbug Flip response

Cyndi, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty. If the product should fail within the first-year due to a manufacturing defect, the product would be replaced. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My mom is living with us now and she needed to have a reliable phone that was easy to read and not complicated, and just something she felt comfortable with. Jitterbug came right into mind after watching their commercial. When we were having a little problem getting the phone set up, the team was patient and wonderful. They told us to remove the battery and to try it and it worked. And not so long ago, I had to call and request a reduction in the minutes that my mom had. We got 600 minutes and there was no way she could use that. In order to make it more cost-efficient the customer service, right on the spot, made the changes and they gave me the information I needed, money wise.

Jitterbug has made such a difference giving us all the peace of mind. And having the emergency button on the phone really makes a difference. My mom can hit that if necessary. We are able to go out and not have to worry about anything so they've made life a lot easier. There is a sense of being able to reach out and communicate with people, 100%. If anybody is looking for the type of phone that's easy to use and to look at then the Jitterbug would be the way to go. The payments are very reasonable too.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The Jitterbug Flip looked easy to use. Even I figured out how to use it and I never had a cellphone before. The only thing I don’t like is I don’t have a case to put it in. Everything I see in the phone store is for iPhone type things or flat things. Other than that, I'm having a wonderful experience with my Jitterbug Flip.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello John, you mentioned you are interested in a case for your Jitterbug Flip. Please call GreatCall Customer Service at, 1 800-733-6632 between 6am to 7pm, Monday – Saturday, Pacific Time, to ask about available accessories.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

When I looked on the computer for a flip phone, there was a Black Friday sale where things were at half the price so I bought a Jitterbug. I followed the directions in the book and the one on my computer when I set it up. I can put all my contact people on my phone using the computer and it really works well. I take the phone with me when I’m traveling somewhere for instances like if I have a car trouble and need to call somebody or if I’m down on the road and I need to talk to somebody. I have a cordless phone at home and my kids call that but if they have to get a hold of me and I don’t answer, they call me on my cell phone.

Considering what the Jitterbug is and comparing it to the smartphones, it was nowhere close but I get what I’m paying for and it's all I need. And Jitterbug is by far superior to several other phones I’ve looked at. Some of my friends have flip phones, some are older ones. They are the little bitty things that you can hardly read and you can’t hear them. They’re nothing anywhere close to the Jitterbug that's easy to use and self-explanatory. With a little bit of experimenting, you can get it figured out.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

The text messages were too small on the phone I had, and I couldn't read them. I got a Jitterbug phone and I’ve been using it for three months now. The messages are much easier to read and the general operation of the phone is good.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My sister-in-law had Jitterbug Flip and I liked it so I contacted Jitterbug. Their representatives were fine and all interactions with them went very well. The phone is very easy to use and it's just what I need. If they ask I'll tell my friends that Jitterbug is the phone that does basic things, for calling or texting without paying for a lot of all the added extras of other phones.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Jitterbug is cheaper than my previous provider and the phone is fairly easy to use. It works fine, and I'm satisfied with it.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I got the Jitterbug Flip because I liked how it looked. It's smooth up and I like how the numbers on it are so big. But I don't like that I have to bend the phone during a call so people can hear me since it's too long for my face. And my arm gets tired if I have a long conversation. But their customer service has been fine and their reps were professional and courteous.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My daughter sent me the Jitterbug phone. It is handier and easier to use than the regular phone we have at home. Also, when I go out, it’s easier to hear.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

In general I'm satisfied with the Jitterbug, BUT one big, big flaw is that the "speed dial #" given to each entry in the phone book as you enter, then changes to another when one then makes a deletion elsewhere in the phone book. VERY BAD for those of us seniors who rely on speed dial to make immediate contact with someone when in an emergency situation.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Milton, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. If you have not done so already, we recommend that you call our 100% U.S. based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 7pm Pacific Time, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

My mother-in-law is in a nursing home and she needed something that was easy to dial and that she could see. We like how loud the volume gets and the big buttons with Jitterbug. The customer service reps have been a lot of help too. They have been professional, friendly and courteous. It has been an awesome experience overall.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My experience with Jitterbug is fine. The phone is nice if you need big buttons. It makes it easier to read. However, I wish the phonebook was in alphabetical order. The order the contacts are in is however you put it in and I don’t like that at all.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Pat, by pressing 0 and yes on your Jitterbug Flip, you will connect to Operator Services. Operator Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please ask an operator to arrange your contacts in alphabetical order. Or by setting up your GreatCall account online you can also arrange your contacts to your liking.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I wanted something to take with me in the car when I go somewhere so that if anything happens, I can have a phone. My daughter did all the purchasing online and the Jitterbug phone was mailed to me. In case I fall, I have the device. The one feature I really like is that it has a stand that I can plug it in and it’s plugged in all the time. I’m satisfied with it.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall expert review by Shelley Webb

The Jitterbug Flip from GreatCall is a flip phone that is easy for anyone to use. It has bigger buttons, a louder speaker and a brighter screen than traditional cell phones, and consumers can add health and safety features for a minimal cost.

• Built-in camera: The Jitterbug Flip has a built-in camera with flash, allowing you to take pictures anytime you want. Store over 1,000 photos on your phone.

• Phones made for aging adults: The Jitterbug Flip is specifically designed for aging adults, with features such as large buttons, large on-screen display, built-in health and safety features, powerful speakers, a personal operator, weekly or daily check-in calls, brain games and more.

• Wide availability: Find a Jitterbug flip at major retailers, including Walmart, BestBuy, RiteAid, Sears and Amazon. Search for your local retailer on GreatCall’s website, or shop online.

• Caregiver solutions: Caregivers can find peace of mind that their loved one is okay by connecting to the GreatCall Link app. If your loved one does need to call 5Star for help, you will be sent an alert with a view of their exact location, making it easy to be available when they need you.

• No annual contracts: You never sign up for a contract when you join a GreatCall plan with your Jitterbug flip, so you won’t need to worry about early termination fees or fees for changing your plan.

• Range of plans: Choose the best plan for your needs, and adjust as you go. Health and safety plans start at just $19.99 per month and include talk and text in addition to a variety of additional features.

• Best for: Caregivers and aging adults living alone.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information