Call toll free
1.66/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones are for those who want a simple medical alert device that doubles as a phone. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to 5Star Urgent Response.

PROS

• Quick response time
  • Helpful caregiver services
  • Great service area
  • Designs/functions for older adults

CONS

• No voice-enabled options
  • No waterproof options

Top Jitterbug Flip Reviews

04/06/2019

The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring… she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me.

05/28/2019

...I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency….

Jitterbug flip review

GreatCall created the Jitterbug Flip as a phone for older adults. Although it can act as a simple cell phone, the Jitterbug Flip also has a 5Star Urgent Response button that instantly contacts emergency medical services for seniors’ health and safety. The display is large, so it’s easy to read, and the menu options are easy to understand. Other design touches include big buttons, a more powerful speaker, a flashlight app and a magnifying function for those with vision issues.

Available in graphite or red, Jitterbug Flip phones weigh 4.7 ounces. The device is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall and less than 1 inch thick, with a 3.2-inch internal display and 1.44-inch external display. The device has a camera, GPS, Bluetooth, speakerphone capabilities and is hearing aid compatible. Jitterbug Flip specs also include 1GB of built-in memory storage so you can store hundreds of contacts, dozens of messages and thousands of photos.

Jitterbug Flip phone plans

Jitterbug Flip offers Basic, Preferred and Ultimate phone plans for customers with different lifestyles and activity levels. All phone plans include Jitterbug 5Star service. Talk and text services are available for additional fees.

• Jitterbug Flip Basic: The Jitterbug Flip Basic phone plan is $19.99 per month and includes 5Star Urgent Response, Check-In Call, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games, and The Wellness Call.
  • Jitterbug Flip Preferred: The Jitterbug Flip Preferred phone plan is $24.99 per month and includes all services covered in the Jitterbug Flip Basic plan, as well as the Urgent Care and GreatCall Link services.
  • Jitterbug Flip Ultimate: The Jitterbug Flip Ultimate phone plan is $34.99 per month and has everything from the Jitterbug Flip Basic and JItterbug Flip Preferred plan, but also includes the Personal Operator and Product Replacement services.

Compare Jitterbug Flip packages

All Jitterbug Flip packages come with 5Star Response, Check-In Call, MedCoach, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games and The Wellness Call services.

BasicPreferredUltimate
Basic$19.99
Preferred$24.99
Ultimate$34.99

Jitterbug Flip services

Jitterbug Flip services benefit those who are independent but want the peace of mind knowing that support is readily available in an emergency. 24/7 professional assistance is available, and caregivers can easily check on their loved one’s health and wellness without disturbing them. Service plans are customizable to suit a variety of needs.

• Check-in Call: Daily, automated check-in calls are available with health and wellness questions based on personal preference. Pain level, appetite and overall well-being are all check-in options.
  • MedCoach: A service that reminds you to stay on a medication schedule or refill prescriptions.
  • Daily Health Tips: Daily health tips from the American Heart Association that include information on health, wellness, activity and diet.
  • Brain Games: Fun brain games help keep you focused and improve memory.
  • The Wellness Call: A daily check-in call that puts you in touch with a wellness expert.
  • Urgent Care: Users speak with a real, live nurse and even a board-certified doctor at any time without an appointment. Additionally, you can get prescriptions for common medications over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: Caregivers can stay informed about the health and safety of their loved ones through the GreatCall Link app.
  • Personal Operator: Unlimited access to a live operator who is ready to assist you with any information you may need.
  • Product Replacement: If your Jitterbug Flip phone is broken, lost, or even stolen, this Product Replacement service replaces the device at no additional cost.

1175 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 28, 2019

For a few years I used the GreatCall Lively Alert. I had it only 3 months and it stopped charging. I called customer support and they walked me through all the tests and decided that it was not functional. The rep said that she would send out the Jitterbug Flip as a temporary solution until the new improved Lively becomes available. I actually like the Jitterbug Flip much better than the Lively Alert and will keep it. The charger issue can be resolved by pushing down and wriggling the phone in the charger unit. When I first received it I noted that I could not hear the speakerphone well. With speaker off it was much louder. I called Customer Service and the man said that a software update would be out in a few days.

Sure enough, it happened and now the speakerphone is working well. I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency. There are two things, however, that I would improve. The first is volume. For hard of hearing even the loudest is not that loud. How about making the volume a notch louder? Secondly, the Games. They are great for improving memory and response processing time but they have one big problem. After using it a few times it speeds up the point where it is impossible to answer the questions. It would be nice to choose a faster speed rather than have it forced on you. Overall, I think the phone that I received, and I guess I am a lucky one, is pretty good and does the job.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I purchased this neat phone after 2 yrs. deciding on it. I am not sorry so far. The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring, even as it is set at Max. I had my customer service rep. call me on it to check it out, I too told her I could barely hear it ring, she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me. I could hear the customer rep. perfect on it and she had me call 5* while on the phone with her, they too were very nice, told them I had just received the phone and wanted to check to see if we were connected. So far, everything is fine. I will be giving it a good testing when I go to babysit my grandsons in a few weeks for 2 wks. as it will be my only phone.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I tried Jitterbug Flip because I don’t use those other phones and it's much better. I can tap a button and get whoever I want. I got a problem with paying my bills now though. They automatically take my money out on the 18th of the month and I don’t like that. I tried to get it changed for my money to be taken out on the 3rd of the month because that’s when I get my little money and that’s when I pay my other bills. At the 18th of the month, if I don't have money in the bank then I have to pay that plus the $35 fee from the bank. I couldn’t get it changed though. But besides my payment statement, my experience with Jitterbug has been good so far.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Cathy, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Flip phone and Smart phone. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Would you please contact our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM – 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, so we can go through troubleshooting steps to resolve this matter.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The Jitterbug Flip is a nice phone. I like the color. It's red. Visually, it’s beautiful and it’s functional. The big number feature is very nice. I have a hard time reading so that’s wonderful. But I’m not a big phone user. I've used it maybe 20 times and I don’t think I’m gonna have it long. I have a land phone in the house. I also have a computer and I hardly even use that. I’m 85 years old and I have a car. I bought the Jitterbug Flip for emergencies, like when I’m driving out. But I never use it and I’m gonna give my car to my granddaughter. I even forget to take the phone with me when I walk outside. But I live in an adult community and there are 2,000 people here. If I fall, there’s security right here. So I really don’t need it.

My sister is using the Jitterbug phone also and she has had it for years. She lives in South Carolina and she has her own house. She walks and she has the phone either in her car or in her bag all the time. She recommended me getting it. At the time, she had the old phone and she told me that Jitterbug had sent her a newer version and that she loves it. That's the one I have but I don’t use it. But for a person who needs it, it would be wonderful.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I work outside a lot of times and I put the Jitterbug in my pocket or in the little holder for it, but it falls down on the ground. It’s so slick so I don’t take it with me. Instead, I just leave it sitting on the table. Over time, I'm gradually using it more. I'm 90 years old and had gotten it for that five-star thing on it, so if I have trouble in the house or if I fall, I can get to it. However, I've got three or four phones in the house that are easier to use than the Jitterbug. Also, one time it had gotten about 10 minutes slow on the time. I called them and the guy said to hold on the line and that he’d fix it and he did. Still, I watch it like a clock a lot of times and I like the calendar very much. I'd recommend the Jitterbug to older people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: July 19, 2019

My 91 year old dad has only had this phone for a month. EVERY SINGLE DAY he gets 3-5 sales calls - addressing him by name. They are selling various insurance. I have to believe this company immediately sold his name and number to highest bidders. And there is NO WAY to opt out or block sales calls. Wish he stayed with TRACFONE.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2019

WARNING! These phones are pure unadulterated CRAP! DO NOT BUY if you want to understand your elderly loved ones on the receiving end of a call! Reception equals that of a half tuned radio station. The ** at Best Buy try to pawn this crap off on unsuspecting Seniors when they walk in. I have to call my mother on her landline because I cannot understand a word she is saying on her on her Jitterbug Flip, others trying to contact her have made same comment. It is not the area because she lives just a few miles from a major NC city where cell towers are everywhere and reception from other carriers is great... I have since read countless reviews on the web stating others have same problem but J-bug keeps pedaling this junk for $80+ monthly service. This POS phone and service should be outlawed.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Mr. Meadows, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us so we may further assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 14, 2019

I have an 82 year old friend who purchased a Jitterbug for his first cell phone. He called me several times and I could not understand him. I freaked...thought he had a stroke. After determining he was okay, I called a friend from his phone and she kept saying she couldn't understand me. I would have thought it was a "bad" phone but see that others have complained about this, and I'm assuming this is what they are calling "voice recognition software". Whatever it is, it is HORRIBLE! Shame on any company for swindling older people by advertising this is for their generation.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Ms. Hargrove, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us, so we may further assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 13, 2019

My 87-year-old dad and I decided to go with a Jitterbug Flip since this was his first cell phone and I wanted it to be easy for him to understand and operate. The customer service was wonderful when he opened his account in May and activated his phone, very patient and helpful. The phone was easy to understand and operate too, From the beginning, however, I noticed that the sound quality of his calls was terrible, sounding muffled to the point where at times it was unrecognizable. The receiver volume was also low, but when switched to speakerphone it was even lower.

We called Customer Service who told us they would update it before the end of May, and that would resolve the issue. After there was no improvement we contacted them again in early June and was told to dial in a number that would activate the update. This was ineffective so we called back, only to be told that the updates were delayed and would be done by the end of June. (By this time the 30-day trial to cancel for a refund had closed.) Thinking that the problem was with the phone itself, we requested a replacement since we were told it was covered by a one-year warranty. This was denied, citing that the updates were the solution, and after expressing our displeasure they credited the account for the next month’s charges.

We called back again after Independence Day when it was obvious that nothing had changed, again requesting a different phone which was again denied and told updates were forthcoming by the end of this month (July). After so much frustration we changed carriers the next day. Dad’s new phone’s sound quality is crystal clear. The only drawback is that while it resembles the Jitterbug it is not as easy for him to understand how to operate, but he is getting used to it. (Unfortunately Jitterbug phone is exclusive to Great Call and isn’t available and cannot be switched to a different carrier.) My advice would be that if you decide to go with this company, be sure that the phone is working flawlessly right away. If this is not the case, cancel immediately before the end of the trial period and request a refund instead of believing their update story. Lesson learned.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Ms. Mason, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. We have completed a software update that will resolve the issue you are describing. We apologize for any delay.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 10, 2019

Just set up a brand new flip phone GreatCall. I am stunned by all the software failures on this phone. The volume is advertised as "loud" - it is the lowest volume of any phone I have owned. I am buying this for my Mom, who wears hearing aids. She can't hear the ringer, the soft stupid voice that says "who would you like to call". The voice is so low, I can't even hear it! The voice recognition software is horrible, and the beep it generates every time goes in to a bug mode and will not come back unless you power down the phone. This is 2019. This company has had over 12 years to get this flip phone right. THEY HAVE NOT! I am so frustrated. I feel I wasted my time porting over my Mom's phone number to this pathetic phone. The government should shut down GreatCall.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Robert, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2019

I’m 54, bought this for my 91 y/o mother, there is NO way she could have set this all up. Worrying about her and tired of her frustration with her AT&T flip phone she had, we hoped this would be the answer. Sadly... she gets frustrated. I think I spend close to $70 a month. She thinks it’s on $30, and I let her. She would never pay that in total.

Issues for her, the Speaker Phone Volume! VERY hard to hear. Messages left sound garbled, and she barely uses once a day, yet it won’t hold a full charge past 2 days, her old phone held it for 4-5 days. Not sure if we simply have a bad phone, but she’s not happy and I don’t know how to help her... I can’t make the speaker any louder, call messages sound bad (majority of the time) and one day off charger with 2 calls made, brought battery down under 40%... Can’t say I’d recommend this device. Very heartbreaking, as I thought/hoped it was the answer! :-(

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello John, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. Please call GreatCall Customer Service between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, 7 days a week, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2019

I bought a Jitterbug phone for my wife (we are old). This is definitely not a phone for old people. There is no icon to show the battery charge. One must search through the menu to know the charge of the battery - not an old person's desire. The battery will not last a day even with very few calls. The transmit quality is extremely poor. It is very often so garbled as to not be understood. I called Greatcall and they admitted that there was a problem and updated the phone. It did not help. In another phone conversation I was told they would have the problem fixed by May. It is now July and still no satisfaction. Do not waste your money.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Lewis, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 27, 2019

I just got one of these and HATE it. I got it because of the cheap plan ($14.99/month for 250 minutes) because I don't expect to use it much -- just when I'm away from home. The phone itself is far TOO simple, with the "Settings" menu item basically being useless: allowing you to change only the color scheme, ring tones, etc. So you have to contact GreatCall customer service for everything else (like shutting off texting capability). The REALLY bad problem is that the phone doesn't have any type of call blocking, and GreatCall doesn't offer any type of call blocking service. So I'm getting probably about 10 robo-calls every day, with no way to prevent them. I'd gladly pay extra for call blocking, because it is so very annoying to get these types of calls so many times every day. I wouldn't recommend this phone for ANYONE other than someone who is completely unfamiliar with any type of technology. I wouldn't recommend GreatCall service -- PERIOD.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Linda, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Flip cell phone and we appreciate your feedback. The Jitterbug Flip was designed with simplicity, ease of use and safety in mind. GreatCall’s award winning U.S. based support and 5Star emergency response service is only available on the GreatCall network. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services and we suggest you contact us at 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, for possible solutions to unwanted calls.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 26, 2019

We were given a Jitterbug Flip phone by GreatCall as a temporary solution: My mother's GreatCall Lively Plus medical alert lanyard/button was recalled 6 weeks ago. While they were very nice about it, the phone is hardly a substitute. Brand new out of the box and when you talk into it, the other end can't understand you. I called customer service to confirm. Yes, my call was distorted & muffled; they have a software glitch and is a common problem. Was supposed to be fixed last month, but still isn't and no word on when!

1) Listening on the phone is also cheap sounding & cuts in & out. Note that this is not a Verizon or coverage problem; it is a bad phone.

2) The charger cradle is so small that the phone barely stands in it. Breathe on it & it wobbles & then doesn't charge. We tried for 2 days & I finally had to brace & tape it into the cradle, and it takes a long time to charge. Coincidentally a circuit breaker blew as soon as it was plugged in, so not sure if that was related, but never happened before.

3) So what good is it for my elderly mom in case of emergency if no one can understand what she is saying? And she can't charge it, and there is no battery display on our version to tell battery strength and when it needs charging.

4) It makes me mad that GreatCall is heavily advertising this phone as a medical emergency phone, yet KNOWING that they are shipped out faulty. Lives are literally at stake!

I'll be happy if we can get ditch the phone and get the replacement Lively, although issues there too. It came with a 1 year warranty and we've had to replace twice before that time. They are not made to last so get the insurance. They sent the Lively Plus that we only had a couple of months until the recall. Again, seems they were sending out defective equipment. I read that Best Buy (who bought GreatCall) wanted to break into the health market; so far a bomb. Thanks for listening.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Linda, per our conversation, your mother’s Jitterbug Flip will receive an update for the issue in the next 7-10 days as we are pushing updates weekly, but it may take up to 3 days for her handset to pick up the update. To ensure her phone receives and processes it quickly, please have her keep her Flip charged and powered ON. If you have any questions or if after the above-mentioned time frame, the issue is not resolved, please call us at 1 800-733-6632, between 5am and 8pm Pacific time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I just got done cancelling my account with GreatCall, the company that provides the service for the Jitterbug phone. I purchased the phone in mid-May for my senior citizen husband after reading about it in the AARP publications. He needs an easy-to-operate large screen phone just like it's advertised. The voice quality of the phone is terrible. The words spoken are indistinguishable no matter who makes a call using the phone. It sounds like the caller is having a stroke. We searched for microphone adjustments, but found none. Trusting the AARP advertising, I didn't look at reviews until AFTER making the purchase and found many others had the same problem we did. Since my husband needs a way to communicate with other family members, we kept it for use in texting. It works fine for that. At a charge of $38.61 per month, it doesn't make sense for us to keep it as a texting device. We'll look for a difference device.

After my purchase, I responded to a survey from GreatCall with my concerns and was contacted by Raven (email on June 10), a customer care specialist from GreatCall. She offered to help me with the problems we were having. I answered her email on June 11 and said unless there was a change to the phone, I doubt she could help me. I haven't heard back. Today, when I called to cancel, Rick said he didn't have any record that I'd contacted them about this issue. He said they now have software updates that they are sending out to people having the problems I did. He offered to "prioritize" me to receive this fix. I declined and continued with the cancellation. I don't trust this company. When I asked for an email confirmation of the cancellation, he apologized but was unable to do that. My account is prepaid through July 17. He said I'll receive a paper bill at the end of my current billing cycle that will reflect the cancellation.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Connie, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I purchased this phone for my brother who is a little challenged because its simplicity & large screen. Shortly after getting it he started sounding like he was under water. Couldn't understand a word he was saying. Called Great Call & they did replace the phone. But the 2nd phone quickly went bad with the same issues. For at least 5 months we have been told that they are working, they know of the problem. "The fix will be done by the end May". So, 3 weeks into June & still waiting. Thank you for giving credit but doesn't serve its purpose with a useless phone. Will be making contact with customer service again.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Jane, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. Our engineers are working with our network partners to resolve the problem. Please look for a private message from us, asking for your account information.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Garbled voice. Can't hear a word my mother says when I call her. When will this problem get resolved? Why wasn't this product tested before it went on the market. Is it the phone or the service provider? I would not recommend this product.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Darlene, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. Our engineers are working with our network partners to resolve the problem. For updates and support, please contact Customer Service between 5AM – 8PM, Pacific Standard Time.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I can't really comment on the way the phone works as we just spent over three hours trying to activate it to no avail. On the first call after 22 minutes on hold someone picked up and said they needed to transfer us. We were disconnected. On the second call after 27 minutes someone picked up, said we had the wrong number, told us to call a different number. Again we were disconnected. On the third try after 30 minutes we were told that we needed to set up the phone account which we had already done. At this point we just wanted out but even that was too difficult. The operator got very rude when we explained we no longer wanted anything to do with the company. If this had been my mother setting it up she would have been in tears. Just don't buy this product.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Mark, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. All calls are answered in the order they are received and although hold times vary, most calls are answered within a few minutes. We would like to look into this matter further, please look for a private message from us asking for the account information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 13, 2019

Updated on 06/21/2019: Still happening. My father’s service has been out again for the past two days. The problem has not been resolved and I get an “All circuits are busy” message. This company needs to get their act together and improve overall.

Original Review: I bought my 88 year old father a Jitterbug Flip 2 weeks ago. We love the phone itself because it is easy to use and understand. We have had nothing but problems with the service. The sound is so garbled that I cannot understand what he is saying. GreatCall said that they are aware of the problem and a fix should be out soon. OK, I'll deal with that. My father lives alone and is 30 miles away from me and I call every day to make sure that everything is all right with him. Yesterday I could not connect and kept getting a "we cannot connect your call, all circuits are busy" message. I spoke to GreatCall and they said it was a Verizon problem. I spoke to Verizon and they said it was a GreatCall problem. I called GreatCall again and spoke to a Customer Service person who said there was nothing that he could do and tech support said that it could be a number of issues and if a Verizon tower was down it could be 72 hours until they were notified.

The person that I spoke to did not seem overly concerned about the problem and kept asking me "Where do you want to go with this?" and informed me that if I didn't like the service I had 30 days to return the phone and since they had already given me a credit because of the poor sound quality another credit "was not going to happen". I did not ask for the first credit nor did I ask for a second. The rep then asked what I wanted I told him that I purchased their service because it was advertised as a safe, reliable phone for seniors and that I just wanted the service to work and was told that there was nothing further he could do until I had the phone in front of me.

I am at work 30 miles away from the phone. The issue is still not resolved and my father is without a phone until I can get the phone in front of me and there is still no guarantee that his service will be restored. The customer service was horrible and the rep seemed jaded and not really concerned. I regret purchasing this service and will be looking into a more reliable, caring service for my father.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Lina, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. Our engineers are working with our network partners to resolve the problem. For updates and support, please contact Customer Service.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Second phone in 3 weeks, speaker is horrible. Was told 3 weeks ago of a upgrade and it hasn’t happened yet, phone also blinks all the time when it is closed and, No, he does not have a missed call! This is my Dad’s phone, we got it for him in case of a emergency. Can’t get anywhere with customer service, they keep giving me the runaround. I would love to talk to somebody that has some Authority at this place!!

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip phone and we appreciate your feedback. Our engineers are working with our network partners to resolve the problem. For updates and support, please contact Customer Service.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I purchased two flip phones on behalf of my parents, who are in their mid-80's. The phone is easy to use, however the sound quality on the receiving end is noticeably garbled to the point where it is difficult to hear the caller. Since they use the phones to stay in touch with each other and my father has hearing issues, this is a concern. My father called the company and he said they told him there was nothing they could do. Since he can be easily confused, I decided to contact the company myself.

I contacted GreatCall on June 10, 2019. They confirmed it is a known issue. The rep said their engineers are pushing out a fix "in the next couple of weeks", but that there is no guarantee this would fix the problem. So I asked the rep what alternatives we have, and if there is a more specific date for the resolution. Her reply was "if I knew a date I would have told you" and that if it doesn't work "you can go with another carrier." I work in the tech industry and this kind of response to a problem is a red flag. So, I decided we will wait until the end of June to see if they fix the problem. In the meantime, I am shopping for another phone plan.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flips and we appreciate your feedback.Our engineers are working with our network partners to resolve the problem.For updates and support, please contact Customer Service for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I bought a Great Call flip phone for my father for his birthday. He had an android smartphone that was basically too much phone for him to manage. I loved the big buttons on the flip phone and the simple menu. But, and this is a huge BUT, when he spoke on the phone his words were so garbled no one could understand him. We called Great Call to report the problem, and they did a few tweaks remotely from their office. It made little improvement. They told us that they were making a system wide update in May, so we agreed to wait. When the problem was not resolved in May we called and they said it had been pushed back to June. They again tried to tweak the phone and after it was the worst it had ever been. I couldn't understand anything my father was saying on it.

My father is 81 years old and lives alone. He no longer has a landline. I need to take him to a phone store today and get him a phone that he can communicate on. Great Call offered to send him a new phone, but they agreed that it probably would not fix the problem. We have tried different people using his phone, we have several different types of phones that he has called and none of it has fixed the problem. I told the company that I thought we deserved a refund on the phone since it was definitely a problem on their end (that they will acknowledge), and they refused since it had been more than 30 days since we received the phone. If I could give the phone a negative star rating I would. I would not recommend the Great Call flip phone to ANYONE!!!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Gayle, we are sorry to hear of your experience. So, we may assist you further, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My mother is 103 yrs old. Other than a hip problem, she is physically and mental good. We persuaded her to get a Jitterbug Flip. Red is her favorite color and the phone is easy to use. However she/we have had nothing but problems!!! The phone she has now is a 2nd phone since the 1st one did not work. The phone is static and gargled all the time. She can hear calls but her speech is garbled almost to the point of unintelligibly. The Jitterbug Flip Phone is USELESS. You should be ashamed to have it on the market. I am contacting the BBB and our local news station so others will not purchase the Jitterbug. (**)

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Freddie, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. So we may assist you further with this, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Like so many others in this list of reviews, I bought my 90-year-old mother a replacement Jitterbug Flip phone because she dropped her old one. This new one is useless because she cannot be understood when she uses it. There is clearly an issue with the microphone. This has cut off her connection with friends she used to call and is certainly useless in an emergency. Calls to GreatCall customer service are a waste of time. All you get is "A software fix is coming in a couple of weeks." I first heard this on May 6. It is now June 3 and nothing has been improved.

I attempted to call the Alcatel One Touch customer service and got what sounded like AI - a computer - and could not get to customer service. Too bad a phone and a company like GreatCall with a good reputation has been trashed by Alcatel. I'm so frustrated. I'm willing to pay 3 times as much to put a landline back into Mom's home. Goodwill really is valuable GreatCall. Why are you not suing Alcatel for ruining your business?

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Cathy,we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip phone and we appreciate your feedback. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects.If you have not done so already, we recommend that you call our 100% U.S. based Customer Service, between the hours of 5 am and 8 pm Pacific Time, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Got my mother a new flip phone several weeks ago, as she is not able to use touch phones easily due to tremors, and her previous phone died after several years use. The previous flip was fine and never had any problems. New flip is basically USELESS for her; she can hear calls but her speech is garbled almost to the point of unintelligibly. Repeated calls to Great Call garner different responses. If she were to need to call for medical help it would be useless.

Repeated calls to customer service: "There is an update." "There is an update coming soon." "Only some serial numbers have this issue." "Can I get a different phone with a serial number that works?" "No, all flips are having this problem." "When will this problem be resolved since we've waited weeks now?" "We don't know." "We don't know when the update will be." Very nice customer service people. However --- USELESS.

Jitterbug Flip response

T C, we’re sorry to hear that you are affected by this issue. Our engineers are working with our network partners to resolve the problem. Please contact our customer service for updates soon.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I bought my mother a flip phone because it had features that would work for her. Customer service is great troubleshooting the phones. We are on phone number three now and we are still having trouble with it which means I will have to call again and troubleshoot that phone. There are just too many issues we have had. Possible microphone. Automatic dialing of five star when the phone flipped open. The sound is static and gargled all the time even though she is in a good service location. I don’t know folks. After all I’ve read and studied about the reviews it seems the quality of the product is poor from their new maker Alcatel. I’m not wanting to try a 4th time. I have lost complete trust in this product. Time to move on.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Angela we’re sorry to hear that you are affected by this issue. Our engineers are working with our network partners to resolve the problem. Please contact our customer service for updates soon.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Customer service is a joke. I am not happy about this phone. My folks (80 and 77) bought 2 Jitterbug phones so that they could call in case of a fall on the farm. One phone works fine, the other has the garbled microphone problem and a problem with the battery or charging circuit. It will not hold a charge for even 24 hours, and no one can understand my mom when she tries to call on it. Customer service has told us repeatedly that it is a software problem and they will not replace the phone. The other phone works fine. First Rep told my parents there was no problem with the phone, just needed a software update.

They did not have the update to send out to the phone, and didn't have any idea as to when this update might be available. But since it was a software update, they would not replace the phone. Only suggestion was to cancel the account or to purchase another phone if they weren't happy with the phone they had. This was repeated again today when I phoned. Not helpful and not truthful. I need a warranty replacement of a phone they sent to my parents, and they are not trying to help at all. They just want to argue that there is nothing they can do.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. Please call GreatCall Customer Service between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, 7 days a week, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I am so disappointed. I purchased this phone for my 85 yr old mother. It looks good, the buttons are large, the 5-star button is so promising and I love the red color. Beyond that - she has a phone she cannot use. The call audio quality is completely unintelligible. Each time I call customer service they apologize, they send an update to the phone and nothing happens. They site a software problem between Verizon and the Alcatel Flip Phone. The software update is in the works but it might be June? And it might not.

If my mother falls - she cannot make a call for help. They have successfully defeated the entire reason I purchased the phone. They tell me the smart phones are not having that issue but when I asked for a temporary smart phone, or an upgrade to the smart phone - I was denied. I called customer service from the flip phone and they hung up on me. I heard him say "I cannot hear you". Well... That's why I'm calling. Why is this phone being sold before it was ready for market?

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I convinced my somewhat older husband to try Jitterbug, in hopes that he would learn to text and gain basic proficiency in modern phones. First he received a flip phone. The phone had constant issues with the microphone and the voice mail. We can’t speak highly enough of customer service in attempts to resolve the issues, but despite exchanging the phone 4 times, the phones never worked satisfactorily. He upgraded to a smartphone. It worked for a while, but then he began to experience problems with receiving calls, voice messages and inability to delete messages. Several attempts were made to resolve the problem, but it was never resolved.

We switched back to another flip phone, and it took 4 calls to get service set up. Then the microphone issues started up again. My husband could hear the caller, but they couldn’t hear him. Resetting the phone would help temporarily, but the problem continued. Ultimately, he went back to our old provider and ditched the Jitterbugs. Again, their customer service reps are superb, very patient and helpful, especially with people who are not tech-savvy. But the phones are crap.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Flip Phone technology is over 20 years old. How can you screw that up! I am pretty techie and wanted a phone that did not have Internet on it. The first 9-12 months it was okay. But then it got really, really slow. You hit the scroll button and had to wait seconds for it to move from menu to menu. Next, it would just power off on its own. Then the audio went crazy and I sounded to others and they sounded to me like we were in a huge tunnel! I called. GreatCall re-set the phone via their network (software update?) That only worked for several days, Then it really got bad. So, they sent me another Flip Phone which NEVER worked properly!

I noted on the Internet other many other users were facing the same problem between Jan-April 2019. It got to the point I could not retrieve my VM!! I called again, and they said it would take about two weeks because they were having some sort of network/software issue and gave me another number I could call to retrieve my VM... Of course that line was ALWAYS busy.

I had flip phones from the late 1990's that worked better than this! I would NEVER EVER give this product to an elder, totally unreliable. They even accidentally sent me an extra Flip Phone... They are both going back and I'm cancelling my account. Reliability is key for cellular phones. Having me wait for TWO WEEKS to retrieve important VM is inexcusable!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Paul, we are sorry to hear you have encountered a problem with your Jitterbug Flip phone and we appreciate your feedback. The issues you are describing, sound issues and a lag in response, is often related to the signal the phone is receiving and we recommend you check the signal strength. You will find the signal strength by scrolling to Phone Info and pressing yes. You will see on the display, the signal, the battery level and you can also check your usage here. With the phone open, you can move through your home to see what the strength is. If the signal is fair or poor, this could be the cause of your issues. If the signal is good, it could be related to the phone’s software. We do have a pending software update for the Jitterbug Flip that will be deployed soon that may improve the call quality. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services and our Customer Service team between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, stands ready to assist you.

Jitterbug Flip phone accessories

Jitterbug Flip packages include the charging dock and battery. Additional Jitterbug Flip phone accessories can be purchased separately to make charging, carrying and communication more simple.

EXTRA CHARGING DOCK
  • $24.99
  • Keep your Jitterbug Flip phone charged and ready with an additional charging dock.
TRAVEL WALL CHARGER
  • $19.99
  • The travel Jitterbug Flip phone charger cable is 45 inches long and compatible with 100–420-volt two-prong outlets.
CAR CHARGER
  • $24.99
  • The Jitterbug Flip car charger coiled cable stretches 12–40 inches.
HOLSTER CASE
  • $19.99
  • The Jitterbug Flip phone case easily attaches to a belt, pocket or purse to securely carry your device.
EXTRA BATTERY
  • $19.99
  • A Jitterbug Flip phone battery replacement for if you need a new one.
BLUETOOTH HEADSET
  • $49.99
  • Samsung HM1300 Bluetooth Headset enables hands-free communication with automatic pairing and static-free connection.

Jitterbug Flip caregiver tools

With the GreatCall Link app, caregivers know immediately if the Jitterbug device is on and where it is located. Caregivers are notified when the battery is low so they can remind their loved one to charge their device. The Link app also sends notifications for certain actions, such as when 5Star is utilized. You can check in to see if appointments are being kept, if medication has been taken and more. The monitoring GeatCall Link app comes included with the Preferred and Ultimate Jitterbug phone plans.

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip FAQ

Can I use the Jitterbug Flip with AT&T?
Jitterbug Flip comes with GreatCall’s standard network service, but it’s possible for an unlocked Jitterbug Flip phone to work on the AT&T network.
Can I block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone?
No, you can’t block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone.
How do I change my Jitterbug Flip plan?
You can change your Jitterbug Flip plan by contacting Jitterbug customer service agents over the phone.
What is Jitterbug Flip’s return policy?
You must return the Jitterbug Flip within 30 days to get a refund for the activation fee, first-month service charge and the cost of the device. Keep in mind that shipping charges aren’t refundable and restocking fees may apply.
Where can I buy Jitterbug Flip?
You can purchase Jitterbug Flip phones directly from the GreatCall website or by calling the number above. They are also available at popular retail stores like Walmart, Rite Aid and Amazon.
What is Jitterbug Flip cancellation policy?
You can cancel Jitterbug Flip service at any time, but you will be responsible for charges and overages through the date of final billing.
Does Jitterbug Flip offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Yes, Jitterbug Flip comes with a one-year standard limited warranty.
Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Flip?
Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Flip emergency call devices.
What is Jitterbug Flip’s average response time?
Operators immediately respond when you press the 5Star Urgent Response button.
Where are Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers located?
Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers have multiple locations and they service most of the United States.
Does Jitterbug Flip offer a free trial period?
No, Jitterbug Flip doesn’t offer a free trial period.
Are Jitterbug Flip medical alert systems waterproof?
No, the Jitterbug Flip is not waterproof.
How much does Jitterbug Flip phone cost per month?
Jitterbug Flip cost per month starts at $19.99 but your monthly charge could depend on which plan you choose.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Flip?

Yes. GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones can summon help in the event of a fall or other emergency. Jitterbug Flip has a powerful 5Start urgent response button along with a suite of other health and safety services. Urgent care assistance, medical advice, wellness calls, daily health tips, brain games and 24/7 emergency access. are just a few of the available Jitterbug Flip services.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information