Call toll free
2.22/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1150 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 6, 2019

I purchased this neat phone after 2 yrs. deciding on it. I am not sorry so far. The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring, even as it is set at Max. I had my customer service rep. call me on it to check it out, I too told her I could barely hear it ring, she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me. I could hear the customer rep. perfect on it and she had me call 5* while on the phone with her, they too were very nice, told them I had just received the phone and wanted to check to see if we were connected. So far, everything is fine. I will be giving it a good testing when I go to babysit my grandsons in a few weeks for 2 wks. as it will be my only phone.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I tried Jitterbug Flip because I don’t use those other phones and it's much better. I can tap a button and get whoever I want. I got a problem with paying my bills now though. They automatically take my money out on the 18th of the month and I don’t like that. I tried to get it changed for my money to be taken out on the 3rd of the month because that’s when I get my little money and that’s when I pay my other bills. At the 18th of the month, if I don't have money in the bank then I have to pay that plus the $35 fee from the bank. I couldn’t get it changed though. But besides my payment statement, my experience with Jitterbug has been good so far.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Cathy, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Flip phone and Smart phone. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Would you please contact our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM – 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, so we can go through troubleshooting steps to resolve this matter.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The Jitterbug Flip is a nice phone. I like the color. It's red. Visually, it’s beautiful and it’s functional. The big number feature is very nice. I have a hard time reading so that’s wonderful. But I’m not a big phone user. I've used it maybe 20 times and I don’t think I’m gonna have it long. I have a land phone in the house. I also have a computer and I hardly even use that. I’m 85 years old and I have a car. I bought the Jitterbug Flip for emergencies, like when I’m driving out. But I never use it and I’m gonna give my car to my granddaughter. I even forget to take the phone with me when I walk outside. But I live in an adult community and there are 2,000 people here. If I fall, there’s security right here. So I really don’t need it.

My sister is using the Jitterbug phone also and she has had it for years. She lives in South Carolina and she has her own house. She walks and she has the phone either in her car or in her bag all the time. She recommended me getting it. At the time, she had the old phone and she told me that Jitterbug had sent her a newer version and that she loves it. That's the one I have but I don’t use it. But for a person who needs it, it would be wonderful.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Jitterbug was on RateIt and then I called them to find answers about the alert. That was what I had in mind because I don't like the idea of wearing something around my neck. And since I always have my walker, it's easy to put it in one of the pockets. So, I always have it with me. But I'm not the best person in the world for cell phones and computers and I've found it very hard sometimes to get it to on and off, as well as to erase stuff. I just had troubles. I've been in and out of the hospital and I have relied on it in the hospital in order to call out from my room. I had them bring it in and I plugged it in. There was one woman in there who had one that was was similar but older and she didn’t have any problems. But the people in the house who picked it up have had troubles too.

If I had it to do all over again, I would put out a lot of money and get an expensive model, maybe voice-controlled because I have problems with my hands due to a stroke. But all in all, Jitterbug was made for elderly people. The whole idea was something simple for the elderly. However, I found my other cellphone’s a lot easier to work and have control over than I did with the one that was supposed to be easy for the elderly.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My husband got a Jitterbug phone last year. He never used a phone because he doesn't know how to use one, but the Jitterbug, he can because it's simple to use. It has a big screen and he understands how to use it. It also takes really good pictures. On the other hand, we can't hear the phone when it rings and sometimes, it doesn't ring and the only way he knows that there is a call is if it lights up.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Sandra, the Jitterbug Flip has 4 ringer settings, low, medium, high and max as well as vibrate. To raise or lower the ringer, with the phone open and not engaged in a call, press the volume button on the middle right side of the phone. Pressing the top will raise the volume and the bottom will lower it, you will also see on the display screen what level you are at. This button also raises or lowers the call volume when you are engaged in a call. For assistance, please call our friendly, 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, 7 days a week, from 5am – 8pm Pacific Time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2019

Flip Phone technology is over 20 years old. How can you screw that up! I am pretty techie and wanted a phone that did not have Internet on it. The first 9-12 months it was okay. But then it got really, really slow. You hit the scroll button and had to wait seconds for it to move from menu to menu. Next, it would just power off on its own. Then the audio went crazy and I sounded to others and they sounded to me like we were in a huge tunnel! I called. GreatCall re-set the phone via their network (software update?) That only worked for several days, Then it really got bad. So, they sent me another Flip Phone which NEVER worked properly!

I noted on the Internet other many other users were facing the same problem between Jan-April 2019. It got to the point I could not retrieve my VM!! I called again, and they said it would take about two weeks because they were having some sort of network/software issue and gave me another number I could call to retrieve my VM... Of course that line was ALWAYS busy.

I had flip phones from the late 1990's that worked better than this! I would NEVER EVER give this product to an elder, totally unreliable. They even accidentally sent me an extra Flip Phone... They are both going back and I'm cancelling my account. Reliability is key for cellular phones. Having me wait for TWO WEEKS to retrieve important VM is inexcusable!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Paul, we are sorry to hear you have encountered a problem with your Jitterbug Flip phone and we appreciate your feedback. The issues you are describing, sound issues and a lag in response, is often related to the signal the phone is receiving and we recommend you check the signal strength. You will find the signal strength by scrolling to Phone Info and pressing yes. You will see on the display, the signal, the battery level and you can also check your usage here. With the phone open, you can move through your home to see what the strength is. If the signal is fair or poor, this could be the cause of your issues. If the signal is good, it could be related to the phone’s software. We do have a pending software update for the Jitterbug Flip that will be deployed soon that may improve the call quality. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services and our Customer Service team between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, stands ready to assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

My Mum and I have an 83 year old friend that recently came home from rehab after a fall. I am an hour away from her and can't physically be there to try and troubleshoot the phone situation and my Mum is away and I might add - she is 82. My Mum and I both have been trying to call our friend and have both experienced a very poor sound quality on the other end. We can not hear our friend as the quality is very garbled. At times it is fine and then all of a sudden I can no longer make out what she is saying. I tried to call customer support and they would not speak to me as my name was not on the account. My Mum then called - her name is on the account - and they sent the phone an update - to no avail....a day later the problem persists. (Our friend did turn the phone off and then on again after the update was sent.) Meanwhile my Mum and I are not physically there to help our friend.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Christie, I’m sorry to hear your friend is experiencing call quality issues with the phone. This issue could stem from a variety of reasons. The most typical is coverage and signal strength in the area where the call is being received. Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, topography, proximity to buildings, foliage, and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. If your friend is still experiencing issues please have her contact us from a different phone for assistance, between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time. We look forward to her call. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2019

My mom just got this phone. We cannot hear her. It is all garbled. Customer service said they cannot do anything but a download which did not clear up the problem. I think we will just go to ** and get a phone over there. Poor service.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Linda, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: May 6, 2019

We've had Jitterbug phones for 6 years now. The first 5 years we had the phones made by "Samsung" and they were AWESOME! Then I made the huge mistake of upgrading to their latest model made by some company named "Alcatel". Neither my husband or I are very impressed with them. My husband, who uses his phone a lot, is constantly complaining about the problems he has making and/or receiving calls besides getting very poor signal out in the country where we live. He has to go outside to use his phone to get any decent signal. Keeps saying it's the worst cell phone he's ever had. My phone has always been basically for emergencies when I travel alone and taking beautiful pictures that I "use to be able to download to Facebook" right from my phone.

With these new phones the pictures are absolutely horrible! Every one is VERY grainy-blurry looking and there is no way or place that I can figure out on how to download them anywhere. We are both very disappointed with these new phones. The company certainly didn't think twice about customer satisfaction when they put this latest upgrade on the market.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Gail, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects.If you have not done so already, we recommend that you call our 100% U.S. based Customer Service between the hours of 5 am and 8 pm Pacific Time, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues. Service is based on the coverage in your area and although our carry partners may show that you are in a good coverage area, things such as weather, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our ability to serve you and other users.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Bought the Jitterbug Flip Phone from GreatCall and had no problems with ordering the phone. Agent was super nice, honored the lower price I found on Amazon, threw in extra phone dock charger, car charger, and 50 more minutes of talk time. Even set up 5 contacts! Received the phone in a timely manner. It was already activated, but had to wait a few hours for my mom’s cell number to be transferred. Absolutely love the phone with the large buttons, and ease of using the phone with Yes and No answers. Scrolling through the menu with the up and down arrows makes finding the section you want on the phone very easy. The volume could be louder however as my mom is hearing impaired and even with the speaker on, an option for a louder level would be nice.

My mom hasn’t used the phone but a few times, but is excited to use it! All good so far. Then after a few days of still waiting... no Caller ID and there was a phantom phone number that appeared on the online account. I called GreatCall to get these issued fixed and the agent, Anthony, was very rude. He used a condescending voice and interrupted me more than once. I had to tell him twice that he was being rude and told him I was calling for my 87 year old mom. I am 61 and wondered if this is how he talked to all the customers. I was on the phone trying to get Caller ID fixed and on hold for a total for about an hour.

Finally the phantom phone number from the online account was removed, but never did get the Caller ID fixed. I now have a ticket # and am waiting another 72 hours to see if the company can fix the Caller ID issue. Anthony did clean up his act throughout the time we were on the phone and credited the account for $10. Should have been a whole month of free service for the rudeness, the hour I wasted on the phone, and the fact there is still no Caller ID.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 28, 2019

I purchased this phone for my mom who is in memory care. It is easy to use and the buttons are larger than normal. She can call back a missed call easily but the call quality is terrible. It is very difficult for the caller to understand what she is saying (garbled). When I called Customer Svc., they said there is an update coming but she needs to turn the phone off every day to get it. She won't remember to do this or even know how. They also don't have their system set up for someone else to talk with them on the the customer's behalf and insisted that she tell them the answers they were asking. She doesn't know those answers - she's in memory care! Other services will just ask the customer if it is OK to speak with someone else.

This is a phone marketed for seniors but it doesn't seem that they are either trained or understand what it is like to work with seniors - especially those with memory loss. Also, they are aware there is a problem with the call quality but I don't see that there is any credit on the bill for both the inconvenience or, in some cases, the inability to even use the phone because of the call quality. If I hadn't already spent close to $200 on the phone and set up, I would cancel this service and return to a larger carrier.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Ava, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the sound quality on your Mother's Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to look into this matter further. Please look for a private message from us, asking for your account information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 25, 2019

I purchased this phone for my 85 year old mother and thought it was going to be good for her but we have had nothing but problems. We had the phone for three months at 50.00 a month and the phone has been sent back twice so this is our third phone. Calls are dropped and when you call her the phone is muffled and you think something is wrong with her. It’s very scary. And then other times she will call me and when I pick up phone we can’t hear one another. This is so frustrating for my mother and I I am thinking of going back to our old carrier. Less problems and cheap.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Deborah, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to review this matter with your further. Please look for a private response from us requesting account information.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I bought the flip phone for my 75-year-old husband's birthday in December. He has had problems with the incoming call ringing alert. He was told to switch incoming call ringing alert to a different sound which he did and it worked for a short while. The problem keeps happening. This last time customer service told him to turn the phone completely off and on every other day... maybe even daily. He did this and it has worked. But this seems like a defective product. What well-made phone works like this?

Customer service was always nice and seeking to resolve the problem. The problem was getting to customer service after the first time incident. The same number used after the first time I had called customer service connected to some service trying to sell multiple items. I called back on the same number and got customer service. I explained my experience with the number I found in the manual and was told to call an 800 to avoid the sales pitches.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Deborah, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. If you have not already done so, please contact Customer Service, between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Standard Time, seven days a week, for us to provide further assistance.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Bad 1st impression for purchasing 2 Jitterbug flip phones so far. It's for my Dad that is in a nursing home. I have not yet in 2 weeks found a good phone that does not have an issue with the microphone on the Jitterbug flip phone. It sounds staticky or muffled on trying 2 new phones so far. I'm not sure I am going to try a 3rd phone to see if it is defective. This is ridiculous how about some compensation for my troubles in the 1st 2 weeks?? And maybe I'll think about trying a 3rd phone??

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello TFW, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. We would like to review this matter further with you. Please look for a private message from us.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My handicap mother has been using Great Call flip phone since 2013 and was extremely happy with the phone and service. In the past two years she has been very dissatisfied and frustrated with the phone quality. We have had replacements from Great Call due to charging issues and we have had to purchase two new replacement phones alone this year in order to insure mom's safety when she is away from her home. The phones ALL eventually will not charge. Charging cable and outlets are good. For a phone made for seniors it is very sad that they have to deal with constant issues in order to have the ability to communicate outside their home. Please Please Please go back to your original manufacturing vendor and stop selling and sending out defective phones.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with our Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Purchased a new phone for elderly mother as she has this same model that broke. Have been thru two replacement phones and speaker does not work on either. Was now told manufacture defect in software and can't be updated until May. Mother is unable to use regular talk without the speaker as has mobility issues and now I have to wait till May to get another phone that works on speaker. These phones should of never been sent out if they were not working properly. Will have to get refunds and new phone that will have a speaker capable of working. Very upset at this issue.

Original review: April 4, 2019

My wife & I both have flip phones. Mine has had frequent problems with the controls/yes-no etc. I use it way less than my wife used hers. Yesterday it went dead, will NOT take a charge. Tiny light under charge light comes on when put on charger. No response no matter what I try.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Paul, We sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your phone. This issue could stem from a variety of reasons. The most typical is the phone needs to be powered on by pressing and holding down the on/off key or it could be that the charger needs to be replaced. If you are still experiencing issues please contact us for assistance between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time. We look forward to your call. Thank you

Original review: April 3, 2019

Called GreatCall today to get a flip phone activated, for my elderly mom. From the start of the call, it was sorta obvious they were more interested in collecting as much data from me than giving me information and rate plans. I assume now they will $ell this information or start telemarketing calls to my poor mom. Their presentation of rate plans was very confusing, and the woman on the other line was not friendly, way-too-scripted, and huffing and puffing into her headset with what sounded like 50 other people talking in background in a "call center." They seemed to have bait-and-switch tactics too, and would not give me a preferred area code phone number where my mom most uses her phone. They tried to promote the rollover minutes but then it turns out they cancel all rollover every thirty (30) days.

When I continue to question terms and the plan (only because it was confusing), the woman from the call center at GreatCall started raising her voice and talking down to me, a potential customer. I have to say it was one of the most terrible customer care experiences I have had in 20-years. I have been with AT&T since 2004 for my own cell/WiFi/tablet service, and consistently receive friendly folks who answer questions respectfully. Finally I had it with the rude woman from GreatCall today, told her to cancel the order, and said goodbye. I am sure they at least are now selling the personal data. Stay away from this company at all costs.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Darren, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits. Our rate plans can be reviewed on our website and you can make changes to the plan once per billing cycle. Privacy is important to us and we do not share any of our customer's information. All of our rate plans have minutes that are good for 60 days and if not used within 60 days they expire. We have sent you a private message to further assist with the area code issue.

Original review: March 24, 2019

My son purchased a Jitterbug Flip phone for me and I was assigned a telephone number that I cannot use in the area I live in without my friends and family paying long distance charges for the call to me. When I called customer service today to see if the number could be changed to a local number, I was more or less told that was just too bad, that they had no control over the number assigned. The lady was very rude to me. I am sorry my son wasted his money on this product, as I won't be able to use it as it stands now. If anyone reads this that can help my situation, any help would be appreciated. I have yet to make the first call on my phone and probably will never use it considering the response I got with customer service.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Martha, we are sorry to hear about the phone number on your Jitterbug Flip phone. Please look for a private response from us to ask for account information to allow us to look into this issue further. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our ability to serve you and other users of our products.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I'm currently looking for another cell provider. I happened to bump into a Jitterbug phone which "as it says" is simple and easy to use. I just make and receive phone calls and I don't text because I only have one hand. However, I noticed from a number of complaints, that the older versions of Jitterbugs were GOOD and the new ones are trashy? Is there an explanation to this other than GreatCall changed manufacturer for lower costs and more profit?

Original review: March 6, 2019

Avoid this company at all costs. The phone will not charge in the base charger when we received it. They send a replacement base - same issue. Obviously it's the cheap phone. They said they will not replace under warranty because nothing is wrong with the phone. "Just wiggle it a few times." they said. I asked to speak with a manager. He said the would call back... He never called back as promised. I guess they like to take advantage of the very people they claim to help!

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. Please, review the private message we sent you.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Purchased flip phone for my 92 year old father. The speaker on the phone did not work. The service was not good. It pings off of Verizon tower in my area. The ringer very low for the hearing impaired. The buttons on the phone where your fingers rest to hold the phone are in the wrong place. Constantly moves the volume to low. I cancelled in 1 day. I read only the set up section. Somewhere there must be a section regarding restocking fee I called to find out where my refund was. My CS agent did not tell me I had a 10.00 Restocking Fee! I explained that the speaker did not work. Cell service terrible. Supervisor would not refund due to the phone wasn’t my satisfaction! It didn’t work!!!! Never ever will do service with jitterbug or Great Call service!!!

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with our Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. Per GreatCall’s 30-day return policy, stated in our Terms and Conditions packaged with each phone and can also be found on our webpage https://www.greatcall.com/legal/guarantee, states for any reason within 30 days from date of purchase, you are not completely satisfied with your phone or device, we will refund the activation fee, the first month's service charge, the cost of the phone/device, plus applicable taxes, less the restocking fee, as long as you do not exceed 30 minutes of talk time.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My 97 year old dad had a Jitterbug Flip for several years and no complaints. The billing statement had an offer for an upgraded flip phone which I ordered and which I regret. Requesting the upgrade is another story. It was ridiculous, and I told them so. Now back to the problem with the phone. While my father could hear the caller, it was a different story for the caller. The sound was very muffled with loud static and no one can understand a word he was saying. I called customer service two days in a row, and they took me through troubleshooting which did not help.

On the third day I told them I did not want to go through anymore troubleshooting. I just wanted the phone replaced. They sent another phone. There is still static, but I can hear my father a little better but not much. I have to wonder if the replacement phone is a reject from someone else. It's the weekend and We have had the replacement phone for a two days now. I will be calling customer service again! Great Call, I'm sure you know of these problems. Why do you continue to sell this phone?

Jitterbug Flip response

Original review: March 2, 2019

Purchased 2-11-19 Jitterbug Flip Phone for 87 year old neighbor based on my father's experience with Samsung Jitterbug from 5 or years ago. Neighbor loves the new phone, BIG #s & easy to use, but we can't understand him when he talks to us. His voice is all distorted. Great Call sent another phone, but same thing. When I put it on speaker, it clears up, but then he has trouble hearing us. Thinking our only option is to go back to a landline. Wish I could say they can fix, but from what I've been told it's as good as it gets. :( I'm thinking new phone builder has cheapened up mic to the point it doesn't work.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with our Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. Please call GreatCall Customer Service between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, 7 days a week, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Telemarketer CONSTANT NUISANCE calls are being billed to my plan. Bought for elderly parent. Customer service says he is answering their calls. He is NOT answering their calls to him, he BARELY answers mine! Going back to previous provider. What a SCAM!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Ms. Perkins, it was a pleasure speaking with you today and assisting you with the usage over on your account. After the review of your account and per our conversation, I have credited your account for the usage overage fee. We are happy to hear that you have set up a mygreatcall.com account to view the detailed call history and that you have the National Do Not Call registry number. Once you register the number, the unwanted telemarketing calls should be greatly reduced. We appreciate you and your feedback, please give us a call if you need any further assistance. Best Regards

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I bought this for my Dad after he left my Verizon package. From the get go, there were problems. Intermittent ring tone: on the "ring ring" phone sound, a known issue I was told by call center person #3. Low volume on speaker Phone: caused by new program upgrade I was told by person number 4. Should be fixed in next upgrade. Went through 2 phones, sent back the third and demanded credit towards another carrier's phone which I was given, even after 30 days, so Best Buy did the right thing, but at my insistence. The final straw was poor signal standing in front of Best Buy while my Verizon phone had 4 bars. Jitterbug is on the Verizon network. Their phones must be really bad. As a former Firefighter of 20 years I would not trust this phone to help my 83 year old father if he needed it during an emergency.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi John, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. The ringer volume of the phone is 84 decibels and there are several ringtones available with “Telephone” and “Alert” being the most popular. Intermittent ringing for inbound calls is generally signal related. Although you may be in a good coverage area, things such as topography, buildings and even building materials can interfere with the signal and cause the phone not to ring. We hope you were able to find a phone with a better signal that worked for your father.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My 95 year old dad had a Jitterbug Flip for several years and loved it! After it stopped working we tried to replace it. We are now on the second replacement phone and it doesn't work. The sound is very muffled with static and no one can understand a word he is saying. We called customer service and they sent another new phone. The second new phone is just as bad.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi V, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your dad's Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to look into this matter further, can you please respond to the private message we have sent you?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My 94 year old father in law is hard of hearing and just bought the flip phone. The volume is not very loud even turned up to max. We put it on 'speaker' and it was even worse. I could hardly hear it. We returned it to Best Buy for another one and it has the same problem. Are these phones reconditioned?

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi James, thank you for your feedback, we are always looking for better ways to improve our products. If you are purchasing a phone, they are brand new and not refurbished. We are sorry your Father is experiencing low volume on his Jitterbug Flip phone. We would recommend changing the ringtone to something that may be easier to hear and verify that your volume is on “Volume Max” by pressing the button on the side of your phone. If this does not resolve this matter, please contact our Customer Service team between 5AM and 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, to go through troubleshooting.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

My Mom, age 90+, used the old style Jitterbug phone happily for about 5 years. When it finally died in early 2018, we replaced it with a Jitterbug Flip. Flip #1 became defective and was exchanged for a new Flip after less than 3 months use. Replacement #2 became defective and was replaced shortly after purchase. Now Replacement #3 is failing. While Best Buy allowed me to exchange the 1st defective phone for a new one, we had to purchase replacement #2. I am unwilling to purchase another replacement Jitterbug Flip and will probably have a landline installed in her room instead. Three failed Flips in a 12 month period is ridiculous. The Great Call folks however, are wonderful.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Sandra, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your mother's Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to look into this matter further, can you please respond to the private message we have sent you?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Junk. Expensive and could never get it to work right. CSR person was really rude and not helpful. After having for less than 2 months we wanted to return but they said it's ours after 30 days. DON'T FALL FOR THIS. I recommend **. They at least are serviced locally by Target. Jitterbug has no local customer support.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Sara, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits starting as low as $14.99/month, before taxes. Per GreatCall’s 30-day return policy, stated in our Terms and Conditions packaged with each phone and can also be found on our webpage https://www.greatcall.com/legal/guarantee, states for any reason within 30 days from date of purchase, you are not completely satisfied with your phone or device, we will refund the activation fee, the first month's service charge, the cost of the phone/device, plus applicable taxes, less the restocking fee and shipping fee, as long as you do not exceed 30 minutes of talk time. For further assistance please contact our Customer Service between 5AM – 8PM, Pacific Standard Time

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall expert review by Shelley Webb

Starting at $99 plus monthly plan and activation fee, this flip-style cell phone comes with easy-to-read buttons and an extra large screen, backlit keypad and powerful speaker. Just press the 5Star Button to instantly connect to GreatCall’s award-winning customer service in times of emergency.

• 5Star Button: Instantly connect to emergency support.

• Simple design: Easy-to-use cell flip-style cell phone with big buttons and an extra large screen, backlit keypad and powerful speaker.

• Extra features: Comes with a flashlight and magnifier.

• GreatCall link: Easily stay connected with family and friends with the Link app. Link sends updates to friends, family and caregivers about the user’s well-being.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information