Jitterbug Flip

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My vision has gotten so poor that I couldn’t see my other phones. Jitterbug phone was advertised to have larger print. So far, I’m happy with Jitterbug and they’ve been very good to me. This phone is better for my eyes. Sound quality seems better too as I can hear on this much better. Their reps have been very nice, friendly, professional and treated me very well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have whatever I want out of Jitterbug and it is half the cost of my previous cell phone provider. I feel more confident using it because they provide 5-star service.

My wife is visually impaired and we wanted a simpler phone than the smart phone that Sprint provided so we decided to try the Jitterbug based upon our experience with the emergency call pendant that she has. Unfortunately this phone is not what it is advertised to be. There are three major issues we've found with the phone, and we've had three of them each trying to find one that worked as advertised:

1. Very poor signal strength - we live about 1/2 mile off of I-70 in a town of 68,000 near St. Louis and it's only "Fair" when we're outside and "Poor" inside the house. The Sprint phone was much better in this respect.
2. The phone shuts itself off even though it's on the charging cradle. I haven't been able to discern a pattern for this.

3. The microphone shuts itself off from time to time without warning, and you have to restart the phone to reactivate it. Restarts consume a couple of minutes, if you're lucky.

These three issues would seem to me to be significant safety issues in the event of an emergency. We don't have the 5 Star feature since my wife has the pendant with fall detection. Thankfully we haven't had the need to test the pendant. Operationally I have several other issues with this phone: The phone book requires use of the internet to add contacts and there is no search feature so you either have to scroll through your contact list or use their unreliable "Voice Dial" feature. The speech recognition ability of "Voice Dial" is erratic at best and sometimes ludicrously wrong. Voice mail messages may arrive days after being left, so far my record is a week.

Sometimes the phone does not ring at all and the only way you know that you've missed a call is when the phone notifies you that you've got a missed call. If they've left a voice mail, you may not get a missed call message. The ring volume is low even on the maximum setting and the vibrate feature is weak as well so you can easily miss a call in a noisy environment or when using the vibrate feature.

On the plus side, we found their customer service very helpful, as far as they can be. However, we also found that each call took about an hour, and we made several, when you include the time on hold. Then are also limited by the phone technology so there really isn't anything that can be done about those issues by Customer Service. Based upon our experiences we would recommend against buying this phone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Because of GreatCall, my son got me a Jitterbug after I had a stroke in June. I used to have a cell phone with AT&T but I like the Jitterbug better because it’s easier for me to use. I used to have a medical alert device where I can punch a button then get help. But when I punched the button, it didn’t work so my son turned around and called me on my phone. They couldn’t open the button and couldn’t hear me 14 feet away from the main station. So I sent that back and wrote a nice little note to them including that they're a false security. Also, I didn’t need it and they're done to me. So I keep my Jitterbug with me all the time now, but I haven’t had to call them for an emergency so far.

Purchased the new flip phone approximately 6 months ago. Have not been happy with it at all. Called customer service twice for various problems. If I open the phone to use it, screen stays dark for sometimes up to 30 seconds. Recharging can be an adventure if phone is not positioned just so it will not recharge. I feel this phone was put on the market before it was properly vetted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a different phone provider before. Jitterbug is simpler which is what I wanted and they have an excellent staff. I've been with Jitterbug for over a year now and I have recommended them to people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm a lady of 81 years old. I wanted something a little simpler because I'm not a phone person, and the iPhone was a bit too much for me, I can do all that I want to do on my iPad. Some of my friends who have iPhones don't like all that extra stuff either. They're my age and want a phone for emergencies mostly, if we're away by ourselves. I had a friend, when I lived in Houston, who had a Jitterbug, and I liked their phone. Everything has been fine. Sometimes I get strange calls, but my kids keep telling me that that's just what happens with these kind of phones.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a Samsung from AT&T and I wanted to change. Now, I have a Jitterbug and I like it better. I called the Jitterbug team right after I got my phone and it was very helpful. The phone is easy to use and it's doing what I wanted it to do. I'm always learning new features. In terms of the size, there are limitations with the Jitterbug. If they could do one that would be flat and bend so I could put it in my pocket and not worry about it, I might get one that had more features. But for what I wanted, it's doing very well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a regular flip phone and I liked it because it had a calendar where I can put in my appointment dates for doctors, etc. It's something that I can't do on my Jitterbug but I’m still satisfied with it. The overall phone works fine and I like the built-in magnifying glass that it has. And though I haven’t had to use it for any emergency reasons so far, I like the idea of it. I am just wondering why every time I try to text somebody, it says text service is not available.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had my very first AT&T phone about 17 years ago, and that was when I first learned how to use the cellphone. I liked it and never wanted it to wear out. Then, when it finally died, I got the flip phone, but that was horrible. I could not stand it and I couldn't even use it. It didn't work and it just sat in the drawer. The Jitterbug phone is easier for me to use and I like it. Their Jitterbug team were good. When I flipped the phone open and nothing would happen, I thought the phone was broken or the battery was gone. But the rep explained to me that I have to hold the on/off button down for five seconds, and now I don't have any problem with my phone. I really need it for emergencies because I don't have anybody to call. I got it when we had a family crisis with one of our relatives dying. I had to call long distance all these other relatives and it was good for that.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a cellphone from AT&T, but Jitterbug gives me what I needed - large numbers, simple access to making and receiving phone calls. That's all I needed. I don’t want the toys and whistles. Plus, working with their staff was fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have Verizon and it's way better than my Jitterbug. Jitterbug's terrible and it doesn't work right. I'd be embarrassed if I made a call using it. Also, their deal said it's $19.95 but they're charging me way over that - $50 or $40. I'm very disappointed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband's phone was hooked up to my account on Sprint, but when he lost the phone, they couldn’t give him a simple one. So we got him one from Jitterbug instead. I also intend to get one myself when my contract with Sprint is over in August. The Jitterbug team helped me set the phone up for my husband. It’s very easy to use and I like the fact that I was able to program all the numbers that he needs so that he can click down and find the one he wants, hit "yes" and it dials out quickly.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had an AT&T GoPhone before Jitterbug and I like the Jitterbug with GreatCall better. I've had it for less than a year and it's much easier. The thing works so well I didn’t need any help anywhere. Everything seems to be just the way I like it.

We purchased a Jitterbug from them. They advertised it would work in our zip code. It would not. We could barely get 1 bar. Also found out after we purchased the phone that it has no voicemail. You have to purchase voicemail separately. What?? Anyway we promptly packaged the phone up and sent it back. I called and cancelled my service and told them they would be receiving the phone. They rec'd it on 10/19. They just informed me they are "reviewing" further the decision to refund us because the phone was scratched. We didn't even take it outside of the house. Then they charged my bank account the monthly charge - after I had already cancelled my service.

I have had a Jitterbug phone for many years that I keep in a car as a backup, have almost never used. Relatives were using the car last December (2016) and tried to use the phone, with no luck. I did not have time to follow-up until now. It turns on, seems like it should work but calls don't go through. Message said to contact customer service. I did and after a good half hour talking to them, they gave up and said it must be a bad phone, although that was certainly not clear. They did not offer to replace it or give me credit for at least 10 months when I clearly did not have service. I cancelled effective immediately but have a credit on my account. They said it would take 2 months (!!!) to receive the refund. Worst service I have encountered in a very long time. I would stay away from this company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like my Jitterbug Flip. It’s just the service that I needed. I had another phone but I didn’t really like it. I wanted just a basic phone. We don’t need all the other stuff that goes with the other phones and the prices seem to escalate. Jitterbug stays pretty much where I need it. I don’t get on my phone unless I have to, and I use it for convenience on when I travel or wherever I go. One time, I dropped one of my Jitterbugs in the water and their rep said I was allowed another phone and when I got the other phone, I had no problem with them. I was really satisfied with their service. It does me very well. As long as it stays the way it is, I’m perfectly contented with it. I also recommended it to several friends and they’ve looked into it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I used to be with AT&T then switched to Jitterbug and I ordered a new one for my husband. I like their idea of the senior services and ease of service. Their reps were all very helpful and friendly. One bug that I’d like to put into somebody’s ear is to help us know when or what time a voicemail came in because it doesn’t tell us.

I bought a Jitterbug flip phone from GreatCall because I did not like my smart phone, which was too difficult to see and text on due to its small numbers. The phone cost about $129, which was far too high for such a terrible product and the accompanying awful customer service. First, you have to pay extra for voice mail, which is included with virtually every other phone, but you're not told that until you have the phone. It doesn't really matter, though, because even after you pay for voice mail, the phone doesn't notify you that you have a message. I finally called the phone from another one, left a message and then SIX (!) voice mails popped up, one of which was for work (I'm a writer) that would have paid several hundred dollars but that was no longer available, thanks to the long lag time.

When you try to call customer service, you are put on hold for hours. I emailed customer service after failing to reach the company by phone, and was told the return time for the phone had passed. In short, "Tough beans, sucker." Repeated attempts to get the phone working or replaced were met with stonewalling. Finally, I gave up, canceled the service and went with Straight Talk, which, so far, I like very much, as customer service is actual service and the phone does what it's supposed to do. And, of course, as is the case everywhere except with GreatCall, voice mail is included.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm incapacitated a little bit so I'm having trouble with any phones but I'm well satisfied with Jitterbug Flip, other than the cost. I don't like the way the volume control is set up on it though. Every time I pick up, I turn the volume down so I can't hear it. But based on my overall experience I'd recommend it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I live by myself right now. My wife passed away a year ago. I was told that I should get something where I could just press the button and my neighbor would be notified, and I got a Jitterbug Flip phone. Prior to getting it, I had a different cellphone that I canceled since I was going through so much difficulties at that time and didn't want a cellphone anymore. With Jitterbug, however, all my experiences have been good. When I call the reps, I always have good results. Once, I accidentally pressed the button on my phone, and the Jitterbug team notified my neighbor, although I didn't need to be notifying anybody at that time. I knew then that if something would happen, all I have to do is hit that red button on the phone. I would recommend Jitterbug Flip.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband has no way of getting hold of me, and I had no way of getting a hold of him, and I didn't want that to continue. We want to be able to talk back and forth so I got myself a Jitterbug. It's my first cell phone provider that I use and I'm still slowly learning how to use a cellphone. I don't use it much but I rely upon it when I do. I like that there is no static feedback or such because I wouldn't know exactly what to do. All in all, I'd recommend it to others.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Jitterbug offers a plan with 200 minutes of call available for $14.99 and that's all I've wanted. I had no problem with the representative whom I dealt with when I was buying the phone. I don't use it very often. I had another cellphone but it wasn't a very good one so I would just buy cards for it and use it in the summertime.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband was in the rest home down at Rock Springs. My son, Wayne, heard about the Jitterbug and he wanted to get it for his dad so he could call home. His dad passed away April the 1st but we kept the Jitterbug, in case the electric went off so I could call 911 if somebody tried to break in, 'cause I'm here all by myself. I got fewer worries since having it and if I need it in case of emergency, I've got it. However, I don't know how to work it and somebody needs to show me how to operate it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a different cellphone from a different provider and it was pretty easy to use but it didn’t have a camera on it. My sister has a Jitterbug and had good success with it so I thought of trying one. Their reps were helpful when I applied for it. Though I only use it on occasion, I’m learning more about it. I like the big letters on it, that I don’t have to charge it as often, and that I could hear real well on it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My daughter signed me for Jitterbug and it was basically for emergency purposes only. I kept the cell phone after my husband passed away. I needed to have one that everybody could get a hold of me with. There have never been any dropped calls. I'm mostly at home and gets a clear signal here. Everything’s been fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My brother-in-law passed away. I went ahead and bought his Jitterbug, then transferred everything over to my name. Compared to my old TracFone, I don't have to worry about adding minutes as I know how many minutes I got per month. Their team is great and I have no problems.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

If ever I want to talk to somebody, my Jitterbug is the phone that I use, but I don't talk on the phone a lot. It was fine with the Jitterbug team. However, when I go online and bring up my account, a message up on the left-hand corner says "Hi,", but my last name is misspelled. At first, I thought I would just leave it but it bugs me when I see my name misspelled. So I called and told them. The rep checked and my name is correct on the account, and it's just on the printed page that it is not spelled correctly. They were very helpful and said they'd take care of it. But it's never been taken care of, so it's something I put up with. Nevertheless, I like my Jitterbug phone. I like the size and the price. Overall, it was very satisfying with Jitterbug.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Although I never wanted a cellphone, I have a 92 year old mom with Alzheimer's in a care facility, and I needed to have a way I could keep in contact with my mom and her caregivers if I was out of the house. So the Jitterbug Flip is my emergency phone, and that was basically why I bought it. Prior to my Jitterbug, I didn't have a cellphone that I used long-term. If I went on a trip, I might buy one of those little, one-use cellphones where you just buy some minutes. But I found the screens hard to see and the buttons hard to use, and I do not do well with the touch screens. On the other hand, the Jitterbug Flip looked like the kind of phone I would be able to use. I really like it. It just folds up. I keep it in my purse.

I never had to contact the Jitterbug team because setting up the phone was so easy. The directions were very simple to follow. They assumed you knew nothing about phones. So, I just followed the directions and got set up, and the phone has been running smoothly ever since. It's a great service. I'm thankful that they have a simple phone without all the doodads on it, for us who don't need all that stuff. Overall, it's convenient, easy, and hassle-free.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

So far, I've had a fantastic experience with the Jitterbug phone, although I've had a couple of dropped calls with it. But when the time comes, I'm going to try to get another flip phone when it comes out.

Jitterbug Flip Company Profile