2. Medical Alert Systems

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.08/5
Based on 1,153 ratings

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Lively Flip is new and improved with a dedicated urgent response button. Lively Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Lively Flip has helpful features like a big screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple "back" and "OK" buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Lively Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Lively Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone with the company's health and safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the urgent response button to speak immediately with an IAED-certified agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Helpful Customer Service

When you need assistance, Lively's knowledgeable 100% U.S.-based customer service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an operator can search for phone numbers, make calls for you, schedule a ride and much more.

Amazon Alexa

With Alexa, calling and texting are faster and easier than ever. Just use your voice to make calls, write texts, check the weather and more.

BOTTOM LINE

The Lively Flip cell phone is for those who want a simple flip phone that doubles as a medical alert device. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to urgent response.

PROS

• Helpful caregiver app
  • Nationwide service
  • Designed for older adults

CONS

• No waterproof options

Top Lively Flip Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lively Flip?

The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring… she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me.

...I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency….

Lively Flip Learn More

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner, accredited by ConsumerAffairs.

Compare Brands

Lively Flip review

From the makers of Jitterbug, Lively Flip is a phone for older adults. Although it can act as a simple cell phone, the Lively Flip also has an urgent response button that instantly contacts emergency medical services for seniors’ health and safety. The display is large, so it’s easy to read, and the menu options are easy to understand. Other design touches include big buttons, a more powerful speaker, a flashlight app and a magnifying function for those with vision issues.

Available in graphite or red, the Lively Flip phone weighs 4.7 ounces. The device is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall and less than 1 inch thick, with a 3.2-inch internal display and 1.44-inch external display. The device has a camera, GPS, Bluetooth, speakerphone capabilities and is hearing aid compatible. Lively Flip specs also include 16 GB of built-in memory storage so you can store hundreds of contacts, dozens of messages and thousands of photos.

Lively Flip phone plans

Lively Flip offers Basic, Preferred and Ultimate health and safety packages for customers with different lifestyles and activity levels. All plans include urgent response service. Affordable talk and text services are available.

• Lively Flip Basic: The Lively Flip Basic phone plan is $19.99 per month and includes urgent response.
  • Lively Flip Preferred: The LIvely Flip Preferred phone plan is $24.99 per month and includes urgent response, the urgent care service and Link app.
  • Lively Flip Ultimate: The Lively Flip Ultimate phone plan is $34.99 per month and has everything from the Lively Flip Basic and Lively Flip Preferred plan, but also includes the personal operator service.

Compare Lively Flip packages

All Lively Flip packages come with urgent response, and additional features are available on the Preferred and Ultimate health and safety packages.

BasicPreferredUltimate
Price*$19.99$24.99$34.99
Basic$19.99
Preferred$24.99
Ultimate$34.99

*As of time of publishing

Lively Flip services

Lively Flip services benefit those who are independent but want the peace of mind knowing that support is readily available in an emergency. 24/7 professional assistance is available, and caregivers can easily check on their loved one’s health and wellness without disturbing them. Service plans are customizable to suit a variety of needs.

• Urgent response: The urgent response service helps you feel prepared and protected anytime, anywhere. With urgent response, you're immediately connected to trained agents who can help in emergencies, 24/7.
  • Urgent care: Users speak with a real, live nurse and even a board-certified doctor at any time without an appointment. Additionally, you can get prescriptions for common medications over the phone.
  • Link app: Caregivers can stay informed about the health and safety of their loved ones on their own smartphone through the downloadable Link app.
  • Personal operator: Unlimited access to a live operator who is ready to assist you with any information you may need.
  • Brain games: Fun brain games help keep you focused and improve memory.

Lively Flip caregiver tools

With the Link app, caregivers know immediately if the Lively device is on and where it is located. Caregivers are notified when the battery is low so they can remind their loved one to charge their device. The Link app also sends notifications for certain actions, such as when urgent response is utilized. You can check in to see if appointments are being kept, if medication has been taken and more.

Lively Flip FAQ

Can I block calls on Lively Flip phone?
Yes, you can block calls on Lively Flip phone.
How do I change my Lively Flip plan?
You can change your Lively Flip plan by contacting the company's customer service agents over the phone.
What is Lively Flip’s return policy?
You must return the Lively Flip within 30 days to get a refund for the activation fee, first-month service charge and the cost of the device. Keep in mind that shipping charges aren’t refundable and restocking fees may apply.
What is Lively Flip's cancellation policy?
You can cancel Lively Flip service at any time, but you will be responsible for charges and overages through the date of final billing.
Does Lively Flip offer a warranty?
Yes, Lively Flip comes with a one-year standard limited warranty.
Does Medicare cover Lively Flip?
Medicare does not cover Lively Flip phones.
What is Lively Flip’s average response time?
Operators immediately respond when you press the urgent response button.
Where are Lively Flip monitoring centers located?
Lively Flip monitoring centers have multiple locations, and they service most of the United States.
Does Lively Flip offer a free trial period?
No, Lively Flip doesn’t offer a free trial period.
Are Lively Flip medical alert systems waterproof?
No, the Lively Flip is not waterproof.
How much does Lively Flip phone cost per month?
Lively Flip cost per month starts at $19.99 but your monthly charge could depend on which plan you choose.

Do we recommend Lively Flip?

Yes. Lively Flip cell phones can summon help in the event of a fall or other emergency. Lively Flip has an urgent response button, personal operator and several other features, including the Link app, that are useful features and provide assurance that you can receive help when you need it.

Lively Flip Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lively Flip?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Purchased for my 91 year old Father so that he can get help if needed. When you open the Phone phone the dial tone is very loud, but once you place a call, the volume drops down so low that it can barely be heard. I tried raising the Speaker Volume with a call in progress, but nothing happens! Since he has significant hearing loss, he can't use it!

Lively Flip response

HellO, we are sorry to hear you have encountered an issue with the Jitterbug Flip phone. Please look for a private message from us so we may gather account information and further assist.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

When I call my elderly Mother on her Jitterbug Flip phone, I cannot hear her answer. I speak to her and ask her to call me back. When I receive the call she initiated I can hear her voice. This is a nuisance because none of her other callers know to do this. Is there something I can do to fix it. She loves the phone for ease of use and knows how to operate it. But this cannot go on! I read a few other reviews on here with the exact same problem. What will you do?

Lively Flip response

Hello Brenda, we are sorry to hear you have encountered an issue with the Jitterbug Flip phone. Please look for a private message from us so we may gather account information and further assist.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

My mother's phone will not keep photos received from text. I called and spoke to them, and was told that there is no work around. I also heard her say that she did not want to deal with this. Disgraceful.

Lively Flip response

Hello Angeleke, we are sorry to hear you encountered a problem with the Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to review this further, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

This is unbelievable and I hope people read this because I care about the older people and I do not want the elderly to get unfair service and get drained out of their money. I had purchased the Jitterbug phone for my elderly uncle who is 91 but still getting by and I thought that it would be a good idea to get him this because it definitely does seem like some of the features like the volume control and the big numbers on the phone would be helpful as this phone does attract the elderly people.

We opened the box together me and my uncle and activated the phone and I immediately noticed that after charging the phone which took almost 4 hours which is not normal that as the phone was charging the phone became really hot and that definitely did cause an alert and a safety alert because I got nervous and it almost felt like putting your hand on a hot tea kettle and you know how you yank your hand away from that hot stinging feeling to get away from the heat and that is how hot that phone got. I went to get a pot holder to rest the Jitterbug Flip phone on because I most definitely did not trust a phone that was getting super hot while charging. I never ever had a phone that got that hot while charging and I most definitely find this jitterbug flip phone to be a safety hazard. This phone is unsafe and you worry about the hazards that this could potentially cause.

Also when my uncle and I did a test call the first thing that my uncle said was that the jitterbug flip phone was a cheap piece of junk and he said he would not want it if it was free. There is no sound quality at all as even my uncle noticed that all you could barely make out was some muffled sound like someone talking while wearing about 20 coronavirus masks all at one time. It is really bad like two 10 year old kids taking two styrofoam cups and putting a hole in the middle of the bottom of the cups and then feeding a cheap piece of string through the holes of the bottom of the styrofoam cups and standing about a foot away from each other playing the game of telephone.

Seriously not only is this phone unsafe with the scorching hot temperatures that this phone can reach but this also is ridiculous in that it appears to look like a kids toy but do not even let your kids play with this phone if you have any or else you and whoever may have to find a new place for housing and if you plug this phone in too long then you may have to call a rescue squad for immediate medical assistance as I find this phone can lead elderly people into danger or worse.

Now for another interesting observation as I checked this phone out and on Google it definitely does say that this jitterbug flip phone is a prepaid service with no contract. I know many people who have prepaid phones but definitely not with jitterbug and the whole concept of prepaid is that you pay before your service starts and that is how prepaid works. If people do not want to continue service with whatever phone company they are with then they simply do not continue contributing any more money and the phone service automatically stops with no more money owed.

All prepaid works like that where if people do not pay upfront for the phone service then the phone company stops charging people and then they walk away quietly and leave people alone. But this clearly is not the case with the Great Call company as my uncle received a past due bill of $75.28 saying that he must send in immediately. WHAT?! Great Call mentioned that my uncle owes that money for some phony overdue past due amount. RIGHT THERE! DING! DING! GOTCHA GREAT CALL!! HA!! Now hold on here a minute as now I have noticed EXACTLY what is going on here. Now right there if anybody is going to say that you have to call to cancel service then that is definitely NOT prepaid with no contract.

Great Call is a skeevy company and here my question is this to Great Call “WHAT ARE PEOPLE CANCELING?!” NO NEED TO CANCEL IF YOU SAY YOU ARE A COMPANY THAT IS PREPAID WITH NO CONTRACT! AHA! This Great Call company has shown who they really are by creating a product such as a phone with features that clearly target the elderly people and then when they don’t pay the Great Call company gets them back by punishing them for not staying with their company. Everyone knows how prepaid works.

Great Call should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of the elderly but they unfortunately could care less. That is absolutely disturbing and unfair that the elderly people are being cheated and lied to and scammed out of their money and sadly enough the elderly people will be scared of these people who say that they owe money and I betcha the Great Call company threatens these poor elderly people by telling them that they will put them in collections if these elderly people do not pay.

That company is that type of people who are controlling and do not give a flip about elderly people being drained out of their money. Now what they wanted from my uncle may not seem like a lot of money but when you really think about it all this Great Call company has to do is consistently scam the elderly people out of their money by charging them phony past due overdue charges and the Great Call company are automatic millionaires. Just think that if they are charging hundreds of thousands of elderly people these phony past due charges then think of how filthy rich the Great Call company is.

Hey people think about this. Can you ever imagine these people who work at the Great Call company doing this kind of scam on the much younger generation like teenagers or young people in their early 20’s or early 30’s or millennials? NEVER would these people who work at the Great Call company would ever try to scam over college students who are studying pre med or engineering or a young person going for a master’s degree at a high end college because the people who work at the Great Call company know that the YOUNG and sharply INTELLIGENT people would have the people who work at the Great Call company arrested and jailed for messing around with phony past due charges if the Great Call ever tried and pulled that game with a much younger audience.

Great Call obviously knew when they first started their skeevy business that they wanted to target an elderly weak wimpy and vulnerable crowd of people for their audience so they tried to come up with a product that would sensationalize the elderly folks. I bet you that when they came up with this horrible phone which is as phony as a 3 dollar bill the Great Call people (excuse me.. more like Bad Call) I bet you they all sat (probably all those stuffy business fraudulent guys with only 2 women out of 25 people) they all sat at a long mahogany wood table and sat for weeks figuring out every which way till Sunday on how to scam the elderly people over with past due charges and I bet you that all those people who work at Great Call were laughing so hard at scamming over the elderly that they could barely speak.

That is their main objective where seriously they have made it more than obvious that they are hoping that the elderly people will forget to pay or just not pay at all so the people who work at the Great Call company can overcharge the elderly bogus past due charges so they can buy their expensive yachts and have a lavishly great time and have steak and lobster and buy homes that are millions of dollars.

All of the money that these poor elderly people are fraudulently being charged for are going to the workers at Great Call so they can have a lavish rich lifestyle. Elderly people do not have money to waste as the people who work at Great Call do not care and they are treating these poor elderly people as if they have either dementia or Alzheimers or both or they feel that these elderly people are slipping in the mind and that the elderly people are falling apart mentally and physically and the people who work at Great Call are hoping that these poor elderly people will never notice that they are being scammed.

What’s really sad is that I bet some of the elderly people who had Great call probably passed away not even knowing that they even had a phony past due bill where a person’s family most probably had to pay Great Call where here an elderly person never owed any money but their remaining family members probably felt that the person who is no longer around owed money when here they did not and never did.

I’m living in a world I don’t understand and I have no idea how that Great Call company gets away with scamming the elderly. I have read these other negative reviews here and I give the thumbs up to all the people who noticed that the Great Call company is nothing but a horrible company who has absolutely no respect for the elderly and for those people who are staying with Great Call I would say that it’s obvious that the people who are staying with the Great Call company are obviously not affected by anything because those people are probably paying religiously and will keep paying them to where they are in a robotic state of just paying the Great Call company and do not care because they have consistently paid them to where they do not notice anything.

Trust me people I can think of a million other things that I rather be doing right now and I definitely did not say to myself that I’m bored so I think I will go put in a complaint about the Great Call company. I am really disgusted in noticing the elderly people getting scammed out of their money by being charged bogus past overdue charges and I want to get the word out that the Great Call company is a skeevy dishonest lying shady and bogus company that by no means should any elderly person get involved with.

If you are reading this and you decide to stay with them then that is fine if you want an unsafe phone with severe overheating issues and then later on you find out that you are suddenly unexpectedly owed some fake past due charge. All I can say right about now is that if you stuck long enough with me to read what I have wrote here then I’d like to say thanks for taking the time to read this as I know it would be time consuming for anybody to read this but I did not know how else to get the word out about the most horrible worst company ever which is the Great Bad Call company. The only thing anyone can say is that I hope that when the people who work at the Great Call company become elderly themselves I hope that some company scams all of them over out of their money telling them that they all have a past due balance of a gazillion dollars. Well it’s like that one saying my grandfather always use to say is “What Goes Around Comes Around”.

Lively Flip response

Hello Mike, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Updated on 10/25/2020: Wished I had read the reviews about Great Call before I purchased the flip phone from Best Buy. It would have saved me well over $200.00 for a two week calling period. I complained about this rip off a few weeks back to Consumer Affairs site and never heard from this co. except Great Call to ask for a phone number so they could reach me via E'Mail..Nothing ever came of that but they just sent me my cancellation bill for $176.00 which is left after the initial amount of somewhere around $40.00 I had already paid...so they already had my info. Keep in mind this bill is for two weeks of my dementia wife calling her daughters across town. They said she called 200 times but in fact I made the calls and they were very few....I do not have Dementia...I actually placed a call to a live person at Great Call and tried to make sure I knew what was covered ....Moral of the story stay away from this co. that's my advice.

Original Review: Purchased this phone thinking it would be simple to use and it was for my wife who has dementia..Anyway signed up on line and also called and talked with a representative of Great Call and thought everything was ok until I got a call saying there was a problem and to call them. This was after having the phone for 2 weeks and using it for local calls only and a couple of texts.

When I called the person informed me we had exceeded our allotted minutes from 100 minutes to 450 or so and that it would cost us $150.00 over and above the $30.00 a month I signed up for. I told the person I thought I had signed up for the alert call which was $5.00 and the phone unlimited which was $20.00. Obviously that was a total screw up...Anyway I said feel free to charge me for your bogus call rate for local calls and cancel the phone....I suggest for anyone thinking about these folks check it out completely and make sure you know what the charges are for each..I did not even see were 100 minutes was listed...Anyway be careful...

Lively Flip response

Hello Larry, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

When I found Jitterbug for my husband I was hoping it would be everything we were looking for. He needed a flip phone because he’s older and has no desire for smartphones. When we received the phone, the device itself was of superb quality. However, it was never a consistent bill, it was always more than what was originally quoted. Add to that, I cancelled the service and hadn’t heard from them in 2 months, when suddenly they took $170 out of my bank account. We are on a fixed budget and that was a hard loss.

I called them and told them I had previously cancelled the plan and was told it wasn’t complete on their end. They never once reached out to tell me about the issue or to inform me it was not cancelled. They did not have my permission to take my money. I explained the situation, told them that I had believed the plan cancelled and that they had taken my grocery money. I was basically told “too bad” and that the plan was now cancelled and we were squared. Except today I received ANOTHER bill for $170 for a flip phone with no plan after being promised I was paid in full. Consumer beware!

Lively Flip response

Hello Mary, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I purchased a Jitterbug Flip phone for my 84 year old mom who has some dementia. Her Verizon phone broke after many years and all the other flip phones under Verizon were too difficult for her to learn. The Jitterbug was easy for her to operate because of the simple options and large print HOWEVER! She got this phone in May 2020 and it worked fine for the most part until mid August. After mid August for no apparent reason the phone went into "NO SERVICE" mode! To this date it's still in "NO SERVICE" mode.

If I take the phone 5 minutes away from our home the service returns??? I am in a typical colonial private home, no aluminum siding, no brick, no metal roof. I did nothing to my home, no construction, no nothing! The phone just stopped working in my immediate area! I called many many times. No one can figure it out, they sent me 2 phones and all have the same issues. I kept telling them it wasn't the phone because it works fine 5 minutes away from my home. Did an upgrade to the network knock out service in my immediate area? All other Verizon and Sprint phones are working fine, only the Jitterbug has "No Service" when will this problem be resolved? I do not have any other option since my mom does not have the mentality to use any other phone. I cannot leave my mom alone without a way for her to contact me. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

Lively Flip response

Hello Maria, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

Updated on 08/05/2020: If you have trouble with a Flip phone don't count on any sort of trade-in or apology from this company. We ended up buying an Alcatel phone from Verizon and now my husband is without the Five Star button that we counted on for his security. Verizon switched its towers to 5g and left the Jitterbug Flip phone behind. End of story.

Original Review: My husband's Jitterbug Flip Phone with vital 5 star service suddenly stopped getting service. I have called three times to the Service Department and each time was assured that service would be restored by them "pushing" a new program to the "dead" phone. Now, I'm not a technological genius, but how do you send (push) a program to a phone with no service? Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me three times and I'm just a flamin' idiot.

I want a refund for the flip phone and please stop charging us the monthly charge. This is just insane. These phones don't require 5g, so just let them run at the lower setting. Either way, my husband can't go on without his emergency 5 star. What if he really NEEDS help? I also have a Jitterbug but mine is the Smart 2. Battery life is not good, but I deal with it by having chargers in every vehicle. Come on, Jitterbug, have a heart! These are older people and if you can't take care of them SAY SO. Or are you waiting for the class action lawsuit to come on TV?

Lively Flip response

Hello Nina, again we sorry about your experience and to see you go. All GreatCall devices are warrantied for one year against manufacture defects. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services and our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist anyone that encounters a problem.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Flip phone will not pair with BlueTooth. Great call tells me that some vehicles don't work. Did not inform me when I signed up. Replacement battery was not of same quality as original. I can live with that but not being able to use BlueTooth. We are talking about basic functions here.

Lively Flip response

Hello John, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. Although the Jitterbug Flip has Bluetooth capability, we cannot guarantee compatibility of any accessory not sold directly by GreatCall. If you need any assistance, please call our Customer Service Team.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I have an old flip phone with Jitterbug. Just a simple phone to make calls in an emergency. No camera. No texting. Just a simple phone. Unfortunately, after having this phone for many years, the case is falling apart. So I wrote them, on their site. I've written them 3 times. But I've gotten no response. I'm not even sure anyone is there anymore. I had my credit card hooked up to them. It's also hooked up to Amazon and Spectrum. And suddenly, my credit card company informed me of a $500 charge on my account! So they closed out that card & sent me a new one. Since no one has ever gotten in touch with me from Jitterbug, I have a feeling that they used my credit card for themselves. I will not give them my new card number and I think I'll just cancel them out & try **!

Lively Flip response

Hello Tom, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Lively Flip Company Information