Call toll free
3.65/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1112 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My husband likes his Jitterbug Flip well and he is pleased with it. It is what he wanted. It is small but he can read the numbers okay and he can use it without glasses. He just wanted to take pictures with it. It is also something convenient for him. He can take it with him on his walks around the neighborhood. In case he needs me for something, he can get a hold of me and if he goes to the store or somewhere, I can get a hold of him too in case of emergency as I’m on oxygen. So far, everything seems to be going well with it. We liked that with Jitterbug, he did not have to go on a contract. Jitterbug bills us monthly so I don’t have to worry about trying to put minutes on it. It is a very reasonable phone and we would recommend it to anybody.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been pleased with Jitterbug Flip. I like that it is easy to do what I wanna do on it. Plus, their buttons are bigger so it is easier to push. I recommend this company.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My 86 year old father ended up in a nursing home. He's unable to use the phone. The only way I was able to deactivate his service was to sign up with another service. The other company canceled GreatCall, then I canceled the other service. GreatCall sends me a final bill showing nothing is due. A month later, I see a debit to my father's checking account for service, then received a bill showing zero minutes used and a $44 fee for service. Nobody reactivated his phone (it's actually broken in two pieces). I called GreatCall, but I'm not on the account, so I can't get anywhere. My only option now is to go to his bank and have the debit reversed and further GreatCall debits blocked. Can't believe that's my only option, especially when dealing with a company that deals with many elderly customers.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi William, we are sorry about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Flip. Please send an email to customerservice@greatcall.com, with your account information and a copy of your review comments. We would like to review the account with you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On 3rd day of trying to migrate a prior phone # over was then told 1-3 business days to accomplish feat. For a phone targeted to seniors this company does not make the switch easy. Other companies in past migrate numbers in minutes not days!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My daughter suggested that I use Jitterbug because it has a speaker on it and it's simple to use. With the one I have, I can let everybody know where I am. When I'm out I can call people. Smartphones are too smart for me. I'm satisfied with my Jitterbug.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

While I don't use the Jitterbug phone too often, I'm satisfied with it. I take it with me when I go to the lake. Plus the price was right.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I appreciate Medical Alert even more since I used Great Call for over a year and had poor service with fall detection. I had to recharge the device every 6 to 8 hours. I have poor signal strength with the Jitterbug phone. I am looking for a different phone service provider as well. Great Call falsely advertises their company is number one. Last time I checked it had fallen to number 8. I recommend number 1, Medical Guardian.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Margaret, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Lively Mobile and we appreciate your feedback. Most devices stay charged up to 24hours, however, signal strength and some active services may cause the battery to drain faster. We do recommend that the Lively Mobile be charged daily, for at least 90 minutes and it can be charged overnight as you cannot over charge it.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have had the upgraded Flip phone for two months, the original phone was of better quality. The new phone is hard to hear, the ringtone volume is poor when called. I have excellent hearing and have missed calls because of the poor quality. I believe that I was provided with a refurbished phone. Thinking seriously of cancelling this service and going to another company like Straight Talk.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Eddie, we are sorry you are experiencing low volume on your Jitterbug Flip phone. We would recommend changing the ringtone to something that may be louder and verify that your volume is on “Volume Max” by pressing the button on the side of your phone. If this does not resolve this matter, please contact our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM and 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, to go through troubleshooting.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have a sister with Down Syndrome who had been asking for a cell phone. I finally bought her the Jitterbug Flip phone. The numbers are large, the display is large and it is very easy for her to use. She can now call her family and she also feels like everyone else who has a cell phone. I like that I can manage her numbers and her account usage, the website is very user-friendly. I highly recommend this phone!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Hi I've used it 5 times since I bought it, tons of scammers call every day. Wish it had call blocking, and I can't figure out how to empty the calls in or out... The camera is fair, what do I do with the pictures now... Not happy but it's cheap.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I'm 80 years old and not in the best of health so I like to carry a phone around. I got Jitterbug Flip as it was cheap and I take it with me everywhere. It’s working fine and I’m happy with it. My wife has one too.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I've been with GreatCall for over 10 yrs and this is the first phone we do not like. The phone takes a long time to come on when you flip it open. Shuts off by itself, thinking it was the phone I ordered a new one, still doing the same thing. The old flip was so much better. Because my Husband has cancer and needs to get a hold of me in a hurry this phone won't do it. Thinking about the smartphone now may work better, been with GreatCall so long now would hate to change carrier but may have to.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Ruby, thank you for your feedback. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance at 1 800-733-6632. Please give us a call for assistance.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Oooh my gosh! I feel sorry for anybody over age 60 that tries to sign up for a plan. I purchased this phone from Best Buy today! I attempted to activate it online and was driven in circles between the security phrase and credit card information. Every time I chose a security phrase of 1-10 characters - it would be rejected... but it also wiped out my credit card information. When I completed another phrase - it would be rejected and wiped out my credit card information. But the best part is when I called and got a rep. The basic plan of 19.99 balloons to close to 40.00 a month. I asked the rep at least 6 times do I get minutes and the 5 star coverage for 19.99. I was told yes. But when she gave me my estimated monthly total - it would be $40.00! How do we go from 20-40? The call lasted 45 minutes until I finally said, "I can't do this. I'm returning the phone." Beware!!!

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear about your activation issues and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service and will always take the time to understand each individual subscriber’s needs and usage requirements before we recommend a service plan. We offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits and it sounds like we recommend our unlimited plan with 5Star for $40.00. All rate plans can be reviewed on our website, www.greatcall.com.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Purchased for my 92 yr old Mother in law. Big hassle getting activated. Everyone I spoke with had a different story and service price. They were rude and hard to understand. I got cut off and had to call back. I finally told the last person I talked with to forget it and I wanted to return the phone. I have since spent two days trying to get in touch with customer service at CordlessWorks where I purchased the phone from to get instructions to return the phone. I have emailed, called several times a day only to get the recording that they could not take my call at this time. I left a message and never received a response. The ads are not truthful and I would never recommend this service to anyone! Got a much more straightforward phone and service locally.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear about your activation issues with GreatCall and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits. Our rate plans can be reviewed on our website, www.greatcall.com. We are unable to assist or comment on your experience with CordlessWorks.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I didn’t want the smartphones that I have to go to graduate from college again to learn how to run. I’m 77 years old and I don’t need all that technology. The Jitterbug is great and I’m satisfied with it. The numbers are bigger and I everything on it is easy. I also take pictures with it. One time, the Jitterbug wouldn’t go on. I called and the young man that I spoke with was very helpful. He told me to take the battery out and reinsert it. It has been fine ever since. My other friends have flip phones and the functions on it aren’t very good so I told them that they should get a Jitterbug.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Do not buy this phone or the service. I did and it was a HUGE mistake. 1st) This review is for those thinking they don't need the button that will call for an emergency response. That being said, most people think they are buying a cost-effective plan that will do what a phone is supposed to do. Make and receive calls. I live in a major metropolitan city. The service was shoddy from the start. When I opened the phone to make a call it waited a second or two before it would allow me to do so. Great Call even sent me a second phone with only slight improvement. The service was so bad that when I had the phone (at maximum volume) near my reading chair and a call would come in - the phone would not ring. Seriously!!! This happened many times. A minute later a ding would be heard and it would indicate I missed a call.

The phone provided called a "Jitterbug" is made by Alcatel. It has reputation for making phones - be it flip or smart, is HORRIBLE. That was sorely proven to me when I got mine. Also the Great Call plan nickels and dimes you by charging extra for basics (such as voice mail). Suffice it to say I switched. I like flip phones. The best plan that provides a quality flip phone is AT&T. Their phone is an LG. Once I switched over, it was like night and day. The phone works great, I don't miss calls, etc. AGAIN BE FOREWARNED, the Jitterbug/Alcatel phone is horrible!!! (As is the Great Call service).

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear about your issues and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Jitterbug phones were specifically designed to work on the GreatCall network which is powered by the nation’s largest and most dependable wireless network. The issues you are describing could have been signal related. Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, buildings, building materials, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. GreatCall offers a variety of plans and services, some of which are a la carte, so you can choose the features that you want to have, on your phone. All plans and services can be viewed at the GreatCall web page.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My parent's phone was frozen. I called customer service and they were extremely helpful. This was a common problem and a new software update was needed. I had to remove the battery for 30 seconds first, then was able to receive the software's update.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I'm very satisfied with the Jitterbug phone and I will continue to use it. It's easy to use, the price is very reasonable, and I'm not locked into a contract. I just need it for emergencies and it works for me for the little bit that I use it.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I work outside a lot of times and I put the Jitterbug in my pocket or in the little holder for it, but it falls down on the ground. It’s so slick so I don’t take it with me. Instead, I just leave it sitting on the table. Over time, I'm gradually using it more. I'm 90 years old and had gotten it for that five-star thing on it, so if I have trouble in the house or if I fall, I can get to it. However, I've got three or four phones in the house that are easier to use than the Jitterbug. Also, one time it had gotten about 10 minutes slow on the time. I called them and the guy said to hold on the line and that he’d fix it and he did. Still, I watch it like a clock a lot of times and I like the calendar very much. I'd recommend the Jitterbug to older people.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Somebody told me that she has a Jitterbug phone and that she liked it. What I wanted mine for was to carry it with me when I got in the car, in case the car broke down. My Jitterbug phone is okay, but the ring is pretty awful and I don’t use it very often. Also, I don’t get very many calls as I don’t give that number out. The only problem that I’ve had with it is with the charger of the phone for the car. I used it once and I’ve never been able to use it since as the plugs are too wide and won’t go in. Nevertheless, I’d recommend Jitterbug to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My wife and I both bought Jitterbug Flip-phones a couple of years ago. We've kept them ONLY because changing phones, phone companies, etc. is a hassle. Thus, this review covers MANY MONTHS OF EXPERIENCE with GreatCall, its phones and, most importantly, its customer service people. Any intelligent person who reads through these reviews will soon see a pattern emerge: Too many people who have problems! Now you can add us to the list. When we recently relocated, my wife and I diligently informed GreatCall of our new address. Lesson learned? Don't even bother with the change of address notification on the back of your statement. I filled it out TWICE. Yet today, when I contacted customer service, the GreatCall rep [named "Jessie"] still showed my old address as being current.

The entire time we've had our Flip phones, we've experienced two recurring problems: First, even though we delete voicemails, our "voice mailboxes" will continue to show that we have messages -- when we don't! GreatCall knows about this problem, but it's evidently too much trouble for them to fix. Second, for "either press or say aloud" menus, the Flip phones as often as not will not pick up the "press" responses. In other words, if a response isn't said aloud, it isn't recorded. Finally, the rep I spoke with this afternoon ("Jessie") exemplifies a more recent annoyance. He wasn't friendly... He wasn't unfriendly... He was just BORED! He didn't care, pure and simple! His whole tone gave him away. That's been a recent, unfortunate trend. Mediocre phones... mediocre calling experiences... and mediocre service... If you're OK with "mediocre", you'll love GreatCall!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Bought one for my elderly Mom and Dad. Awful experience. The phones didn't work most of the time, they WERE NOT easy for them to use. Flip phone did not work for visually impaired. The customer service was terrible. When we tried to cancel the service, we had a very difficult 1 hour discussion/wait time and they made us pay for a month in advance! DO NOT USE GREAT CALL - JITTERBUG.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I ordered a Jitterbug phone, they took my money, they sent it, and I got it going. Everything was fine. That’s a unit I can use without a lot of hanky-panky. I’m an old man and I don’t go for computers very well. I don’t like them. But Jitterbug has been very good so far. However, I’m changing banks and they’re taking money off my credit card but I’m not gonna be using that credit card anymore. I’ll call them about it to change it over to some other system. So far, I’m satisfied with my Jitterbug phone. It works great, they’re very simple and easy to operate.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Purchased as new from Best Buy, but when charged and started it was already registered in someone else's name, for whom we continue to receive calls and texts. Battery will not hold a charge for more than a few minutes despite overnight charging. Service keeps cutting in and out. Has not worked properly from day 1. Appears to be refurbished phone likely returned for problems, sold as new.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Ruby, thank you for your feedback. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance at 1 800-733-6632. Most newly assigned cell phone numbers are recycled, in some cases, you may get calls or text/picture messages from the previous owner of the number. You can ask for a new number, but it is possible you will get the same results. For calls, there is no cost unless you exceed your allotted monthly minutes. We recommend that you register your number with the National Do Not Call registry by calling, 1 888-382-1222, from your phone. For text or picture messages, please reply STOP, and in most cases, this will stop the unwanted messages. Please give us a call at the above number for further assistance.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Jitterbug phone for "seniors" is a joke. I wondered why my bill was so high, then I found out by talking to customer service, that if a person receives a call from anyone, from anywhere, Jitterbug will not only charge you for the call out, they charge you for any call you receive. I had telemarketers call me and I was charged for the call. My brother called me and I was charged for the call. My doctors call me I'm charged for the call. I quit Jitterbug after two months. Here we are retired seniors and thought this would be a great phone service and it is just a rip off. Tell your friends, etc., so they won't get ripped off.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Peggy, we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall, as with other cell phone carriers, uses your monthly minutes for either inbound or outbound calls. We offer a variety of rate plans to fit most individual’s needs.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Half the time it doesn't ring in. I get a little sound that says a missed call. Which happens more than I get calls. I open the phone and nothing for about 30 secs. Which when I open the cell it's suppose to be there and please please don't get me started on CUSTOMER SERVICE. It's worse than horrible. It's so bad I can't stand to call so I can cancel. I was on the line once for an hour. I'm done. I just hate Jitterbug.

Jitterbug Flip response

Geraldine, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist, from technical support professionals to customer service representatives, we are ready to help any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance, 1 800-733-6632. The issues you have describe, may be due to a poor signal. Service is based on the coverage in your area, even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, building materials, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. If the signal strength is fair or poor, your phone may not ring and there may be a few seconds delay when opening, as the phone is searching for a signal.

Original review: July 8, 2018

My wife and I have had our Alcatel Go Flip phones for about eight months, and the phones have been nothing but trouble. At first, we could not hear the phones ring although the ringer volumes were set on maximum. Then later on my phone I would telephone someone and the person could not hear me, but I could hear them. If someone called me and I heard the phone ring and saw the phone light up, I opened the phone and said "Hello", and the person on the other end could not hear me. The foregoing included calling GreatCall customer service in attempt to get the phones to work properly. Open the phone and it would say, "you have a new voicemail", and I would go to the voice mail and the voicemail would say, "you have no new voicemail messages".

My wife's phone has not had as many problems but it is not working properly. Many time my wife could not hear the phone ring. Open the phone and the phone would say you have a new voice mail message, but the message would be from me from a week ago, and she heard the message numerous times. When she would close the phone, voicemail would keep rattling on with the same message. A couple of times there would be static when "Do you want to save this message" and "do you want to delete this message?" should be heard. Neither phone has ever said the date and time the voicemail was received.

When we first got the phones we would push "No" for rehear and "Yes" for delete, but it would not delete; this problem has worked out and we have that no more. We have telephoned GreatCall and to its credit, it was attempted to correct the problem. One woman spent 20 minutes with me trying to get the phones to work properly to no avail. The last woman gave up and stated that she would have new phones sent to us. We had Jitterbug - GreatCall for a number of years. We had virtually no problems with the Samsungs we previously had.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Very disappointed with the whole thing. Bought 3 separate phones which could not be activated, even by their tech support, with error codes. Spent so many hours on phone trying to get for my dad who lives 10 hours away from me. They said they would activate a phone themselves and send to my dad and for me to send the phone I had, to them, which I did, complete. They then send my dad only a phone with no charger or manual. I call AGAIN to be told they would expedite these to my dad. They sent in incomplete charger, 7 days later and still NO manual. I call AGAIN and they verify they never sent the manual and they will send out with the rest of the charger. But that I should call them AGAIN on Monday to confirm they did their job. I only wanted this for my dad so he could have some communication when he goes out but it has been an awful experience! Don't do it! I don't know about the phone itself because we haven't been able to use it yet.

Jitterbug Flip response

We appreciate your feedback. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. All GreatCall products are backed by a one-year manufactures warranty and if a replacement phone is needed, we generally advise to send only the phone back, in the pre-paid envelope, that is provided with the replacement. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I keep getting letters requesting a survey about my recent purchase. Trouble is I never purchased one due to the fact I never bought one. I immediately canceled my order because they had no service in my state. If they charged me they never sent me a phone. Which I don't want anyway. They need to refund me if they charged me.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Kathleen, we can confirm that the order did not ship and you were not charged. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Original review: June 28, 2018

So many times the phone does not ring. Charging takes a long time. Went back to Best Buy after purchasing it and they were of no help. I so thought this was going to be my husband answer to a useable flip phone. They are getting harder to find, at age 71 he wants simple!!!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Nancy, at GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. From technical support professionals to customer service representatives, we are ready to help any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance, 1 800-733-6632.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall expert review by Shelley Webb

The Jitterbug Flip from GreatCall is a flip phone that is easy for anyone to use. It has bigger buttons, a louder speaker and a brighter screen than traditional cell phones, and consumers can add health and safety features for a minimal cost.

• Built-in camera: The Jitterbug Flip has a built-in camera with flash, allowing you to take pictures anytime you want. Store over 1,000 photos on your phone.

• Phones made for aging adults: The Jitterbug Flip is specifically designed for aging adults, with features such as large buttons, large on-screen display, built-in health and safety features, powerful speakers, a personal operator, weekly or daily check-in calls, brain games and more.

• Wide availability: Find a Jitterbug flip at major retailers, including Walmart, BestBuy, RiteAid, Sears and Amazon. Search for your local retailer on GreatCall’s website, or shop online.

• Caregiver solutions: Caregivers can find peace of mind that their loved one is okay by connecting to the GreatCall Link app. If your loved one does need to call 5Star for help, you will be sent an alert with a view of their exact location, making it easy to be available when they need you.

• No annual contracts: You never sign up for a contract when you join a GreatCall plan with your Jitterbug flip, so you won’t need to worry about early termination fees or fees for changing your plan.

• Range of plans: Choose the best plan for your needs, and adjust as you go. Health and safety plans start at just $19.99 per month and include talk and text in addition to a variety of additional features.

• Best for: Caregivers and aging adults living alone.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information