2. Medical Alert Systems

Jitterbug Flip
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones are for those who want a simple medical alert device that doubles as a phone. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to 5Star Urgent Response.

PROS

• Quick response time
  • Helpful caregiver services
  • Great service area
  • Designs/functions for older adults

CONS

• No voice-enabled options
  • No waterproof options

Top Jitterbug Flip Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring… she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me.

...I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency….

Jitterbug Flip Learn More

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner, accredited by ConsumerAffairs.

Compare Brands

Jitterbug flip review

GreatCall created the Jitterbug Flip as a phone for older adults. Although it can act as a simple cell phone, the Jitterbug Flip also has a 5Star Urgent Response button that instantly contacts emergency medical services for seniors’ health and safety. The display is large, so it’s easy to read, and the menu options are easy to understand. Other design touches include big buttons, a more powerful speaker, a flashlight app and a magnifying function for those with vision issues.

Available in graphite or red, Jitterbug Flip phones weigh 4.7 ounces. The device is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall and less than 1 inch thick, with a 3.2-inch internal display and 1.44-inch external display. The device has a camera, GPS, Bluetooth, speakerphone capabilities and is hearing aid compatible. Jitterbug Flip specs also include 1GB of built-in memory storage so you can store hundreds of contacts, dozens of messages and thousands of photos.

Jitterbug Flip phone plans

Jitterbug Flip offers Basic, Preferred and Ultimate phone plans for customers with different lifestyles and activity levels. All phone plans include Jitterbug 5Star service. Talk and text services are available for additional fees.

• Jitterbug Flip Basic: The Jitterbug Flip Basic phone plan is $19.99 per month and includes 5Star Urgent Response, Check-In Call, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games, and The Wellness Call.
  • Jitterbug Flip Preferred: The Jitterbug Flip Preferred phone plan is $24.99 per month and includes all services covered in the Jitterbug Flip Basic plan, as well as the Urgent Care and GreatCall Link services.
  • Jitterbug Flip Ultimate: The Jitterbug Flip Ultimate phone plan is $34.99 per month and has everything from the Jitterbug Flip Basic and JItterbug Flip Preferred plan, but also includes the Personal Operator and Product Replacement services.

Compare Jitterbug Flip packages

All Jitterbug Flip packages come with 5Star Response, Check-In Call, MedCoach, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games and The Wellness Call services.

BasicPreferredUltimate
Basic$19.99
Preferred$24.99
Ultimate$34.99

Jitterbug Flip services

Jitterbug Flip services benefit those who are independent but want the peace of mind knowing that support is readily available in an emergency. 24/7 professional assistance is available, and caregivers can easily check on their loved one’s health and wellness without disturbing them. Service plans are customizable to suit a variety of needs.

• Check-in Call: Daily, automated check-in calls are available with health and wellness questions based on personal preference. Pain level, appetite and overall well-being are all check-in options.
  • MedCoach: A service that reminds you to stay on a medication schedule or refill prescriptions.
  • Daily Health Tips: Daily health tips from the American Heart Association that include information on health, wellness, activity and diet.
  • Brain Games: Fun brain games help keep you focused and improve memory.
  • The Wellness Call: A daily check-in call that puts you in touch with a wellness expert.
  • Urgent Care: Users speak with a real, live nurse and even a board-certified doctor at any time without an appointment. Additionally, you can get prescriptions for common medications over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: Caregivers can stay informed about the health and safety of their loved ones through the GreatCall Link app.
  • Personal Operator: Unlimited access to a live operator who is ready to assist you with any information you may need.
  • Product Replacement: If your Jitterbug Flip phone is broken, lost, or even stolen, this Product Replacement service replaces the device at no additional cost.

Jitterbug Flip Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

Updated on 08/05/2020: If you have trouble with a Flip phone don't count on any sort of trade-in or apology from this company. We ended up buying an Alcatel phone from Verizon and now my husband is without the Five Star button that we counted on for his security. Verizon switched its towers to 5g and left the Jitterbug Flip phone behind. End of story.

Original Review: My husband's Jitterbug Flip Phone with vital 5 star service suddenly stopped getting service. I have called three times to the Service Department and each time was assured that service would be restored by them "pushing" a new program to the "dead" phone. Now, I'm not a technological genius, but how do you send (push) a program to a phone with no service? Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me three times and I'm just a flamin' idiot.

I want a refund for the flip phone and please stop charging us the monthly charge. This is just insane. These phones don't require 5g, so just let them run at the lower setting. Either way, my husband can't go on without his emergency 5 star. What if he really NEEDS help? I also have a Jitterbug but mine is the Smart 2. Battery life is not good, but I deal with it by having chargers in every vehicle. Come on, Jitterbug, have a heart! These are older people and if you can't take care of them SAY SO. Or are you waiting for the class action lawsuit to come on TV?

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Nina, again we sorry about your experience and to see you go. All GreatCall devices are warrantied for one year against manufacture defects. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services and our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist anyone that encounters a problem.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Flip phone will not pair with BlueTooth. Great call tells me that some vehicles don't work. Did not inform me when I signed up. Replacement battery was not of same quality as original. I can live with that but not being able to use BlueTooth. We are talking about basic functions here.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello John, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. Although the Jitterbug Flip has Bluetooth capability, we cannot guarantee compatibility of any accessory not sold directly by GreatCall. If you need any assistance, please call our Customer Service Team.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: July 13, 2020

I have an old flip phone with Jitterbug. Just a simple phone to make calls in an emergency. No camera. No texting. Just a simple phone. Unfortunately, after having this phone for many years, the case is falling apart. So I wrote them, on their site. I've written them 3 times. But I've gotten no response. I'm not even sure anyone is there anymore. I had my credit card hooked up to them. It's also hooked up to Amazon and Spectrum. And suddenly, my credit card company informed me of a $500 charge on my account! So they closed out that card & sent me a new one. Since no one has ever gotten in touch with me from Jitterbug, I have a feeling that they used my credit card for themselves. I will not give them my new card number and I think I'll just cancel them out & try **!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Tom, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Updated on 07/22/2020: I would like to update my previous review. This review is no better than the first one. After my sister contacted Jitterbug directly and explained the problem that we are having with my mom's not working and after they tried to troubleshoot it from their end, they decided that they were going to have to replace the phone because they could not fix the problem. I purchased the phone for my mom on 2-29-2020 and have had nothing but problems from day one. It finally got to the point were she could not make outgoing calls or receive incoming calls. So I thought that by replacing the phone maybe we would have better luck. Wrong....When the phone arrived it was not a new phone, it was a used refurbished phone that they replaced my new phone with. This is just wrong.

My sister told them that she wanted a credit applied to my mom's account because the phone did not work at all. They did give us a credit, but now Jitterbug is using that as a solution to our problem. How can you possibly think that by giving us a credit for a phone that did not work, that, that is all that would need to be done. Not only was the replacement phone a used refurbished phone, but it also had the same issues as the new phone I purchased on 2-29-2020. So I am out my $100.00 that I paid for the phone because they told my sister that 4 months was too long for them to refund my money. How can 4 months be too long when the phone never did work properly, and now it is of no use. I will have to find something else for her, so that we will know that she is able to contact us if she has a problem and needs help. She wouldn't even be able to call 911 at this. So sad.

Original Review: I purchased a Jitterbug flip phone for my 86 year mom on February 29, 2020. From day one we have had nothing but problems with this phone. The reception is terrible, her voice is all muffled and she fades in and out when you talk to her. About a month ago, my sister tried to call her and she didn't answer, so of course she was concerned, and went home to make sure she was ok and she was sitting there. She asked her why she didn't answer the phone and she said that it never rang. So we tested it and surprise, surprise, it did not ring. She could call out, but incoming calls did not ring through.

Now today as my sister was leaving to go to the store we tried her phone to make sure that she would be able to call if she needed help and surprise, surprise, now you can not even call out on the phone. This phone that I paid $100.00 for just 4 months ago is now useless. My sister and I both called great call on Friday and explained what was going on and asked them if the smart phone was having the same issues as the flip phone and they said no, they were only having problems with the flip phone. She asked them if since I have only had the phone since February 29, 2020, if I would be able to apply the $100.00 that I paid for the flip phone to upgrade to a smart phone and they told me no. I would have to pay the full $129.00 plus shipping fees to get the new smart phone plus pay addition fees each month. This is ridiculous.

This phone is suppose to be designed for seniors to make it easier for them to use and in an emergency they would have the 5 star button to use, but if you can not receive calls or make outgoing calls what good is this phone. Great Call is sending a replacement flip phone, but what good is that going to be if we will have the same issues with the new phone. Very disappointed not only in the actual phone, but with the company as well. Everyone is on a fixed income right now so this is very upsetting to me. I would not recommend this phone to anyone that is purchasing it to have peace of mind for one of your elderly loved ones.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Debbie, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Voice quality is very poor, sounds muffled yes and no controls for call history deletion and voice messages saved /delete don't work properly. Monthly cost advertised is misleading. I bought this phone for my senior mom, save your money better off with a medical alert button more dependable.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Victoria, we are sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip phone. The phone does provide different levels to the call volume if the sound is too low. The Jitterbug Flip phone is designed to be easy and simple to use. There are some features that are not available such as deleting the call history. All our plans and prices are listed on our website.

Original review: June 4, 2020

Told me to stand outside to reception, salesman lied and said had same reception as Verizon. Wouldn’t release my number and held it hostage. Wouldn’t give me my money back, gave Verizon lady a hard time and said she was lying. Very muffled when talking, frequently didn’t get incoming calls and texts. The only thing it didn’t have on the back was Mickey Mouse. And had to shut the phone off every day to use it. I would like your lying response back to this.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I got the jitterbug flip for my 95 year old father. It had various problems, the most annoying was "No Service", it would come and go. I am told Great Call uses the Verizon network which is a strong network in my area. Every member of my family has a phone on the Verizon network and have never had a network/connection issue. I would call the jitterbug phone from another Verizon phone in the same house and the jitterbug would not ring as an example. My father has a 15 year old LG flip phone on the Verizon network and we never had a network issue. I called customer service on these various issues and the usual standard answer was I don't understand. The phone has multiple problems what don't I understand it doesn't work.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Allen, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: April 12, 2020

Difficult to hear the user's conversation---very distorted. I got this phone for my 95 y/o mother since her facility's room phone's volume was too low for her to hear. When we talk to mom, her voice is so distorted we cannot make out most of the conversation---it's not the volume it's the distortion. This is not serving us well during the 2020 COVID-19 quarantine---for one thing, mom probably has only a few short months left due to a terminal illness. As soon as we can visit the long-term care facility, I will replace the J-bug with my older i-phone; I should have thought of that to begin with. I would steer clear of this phone.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Anne, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

This phone is not at all what I expected. I bought it for my husband who wanted a flip phone and needed one with large buttons.

1. When the phone rings with an incoming call, be prepared to run. It only rings for about 10 seconds, so if you can't get to it immediately, it goes to voicemail. If this is a phone for seniors, then they had better be super spry or they will miss calls!
    2. Voice mail is the pits. There is no way to forward through messages so we have to listen to ALL of them every time.
    3. Sound quality is terrible. It is hard to hear the people on the other end and they in turn have a hard time hearing us.
    4. I don't need it to chime incessantly when there is a message, a text, or it is charged. I don't need it to chime at all but there seems to be no way to disable this most annoying feature.
    5. Spam calls - constantly! I don't need a medical device, life insurance, or any other 'senior' service. My phone is on the DNC registry but that apparently doesn't seem to matter. We get at least 5 robo and spam calls a day.

6. It is not a user friendly phone. The technology is almost archaic - I know it isn't a smartphone by any means, but it could be MUCH easier to use. Every aspect is cumbersome multisteps (yes to listen, yes to confirm, no to hang up, etc. etc).

As soon as I can fix my old iPhone for him to use we are switching to that. A ten year old iPhone would be an improvement over this piece of junk.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you have not already done so, please call our Customer Service Team for additional support at 1-800-733-6632.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

My mom is older and only uses the phone to talk to friends and family. We got her the Jitterbug because it advertises the larger buttons and easy for seniors to use. The buttons are larger but the phone itself is awful. Most of the time you cannot hear her when she answers the phone. She has to call you back in order to actually hear her speaking. The phone fades in and out, it tells her she has missed calls from me when I haven't called her. We have called customer service several times and they replaced the phone once and have told her to be patient service will be better in a few days...which is a joke. Her best friend is having the same issues with her Jitterbug phone. Both ladies pray they don't have an emergency before they get new phones.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Kristi, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Jitterbug Flip phone accessories

Jitterbug Flip packages include the charging dock and battery. Additional Jitterbug Flip phone accessories can be purchased separately to make charging, carrying and communication more simple.

EXTRA CHARGING DOCK
    • $24.99
    • Keep your Jitterbug Flip phone charged and ready with an additional charging dock.
    TRAVEL WALL CHARGER
    • $19.99
    • The travel Jitterbug Flip phone charger cable is 45 inches long and compatible with 100–420-volt two-prong outlets.
    CAR CHARGER
    • $24.99
    • The Jitterbug Flip car charger coiled cable stretches 12–40 inches.
    HOLSTER CASE
    • $19.99
    • The Jitterbug Flip phone case easily attaches to a belt, pocket or purse to securely carry your device.
    EXTRA BATTERY
    • $19.99
    • A Jitterbug Flip phone battery replacement for if you need a new one.
    BLUETOOTH HEADSET
    • $49.99
    • Samsung HM1300 Bluetooth Headset enables hands-free communication with automatic pairing and static-free connection.

Jitterbug Flip caregiver tools

With the GreatCall Link app, caregivers know immediately if the Jitterbug device is on and where it is located. Caregivers are notified when the battery is low so they can remind their loved one to charge their device. The Link app also sends notifications for certain actions, such as when 5Star is utilized. You can check in to see if appointments are being kept, if medication has been taken and more. The monitoring GeatCall Link app comes included with the Preferred and Ultimate Jitterbug phone plans.

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip FAQ

Can I use the Jitterbug Flip with AT&T?
    Jitterbug Flip comes with GreatCall’s standard network service, but it’s possible for an unlocked Jitterbug Flip phone to work on the AT&T network.
    Can I block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone?
    No, you can’t block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone.
    How do I change my Jitterbug Flip plan?
    You can change your Jitterbug Flip plan by contacting Jitterbug customer service agents over the phone.
    What is Jitterbug Flip’s return policy?
    You must return the Jitterbug Flip within 30 days to get a refund for the activation fee, first-month service charge and the cost of the device. Keep in mind that shipping charges aren’t refundable and restocking fees may apply.
    Where can I buy Jitterbug Flip?
    You can purchase Jitterbug Flip phones directly from the GreatCall website or by calling the number above. They are also available at popular retail stores like Walmart, Rite Aid and Amazon.
    What is Jitterbug Flip cancellation policy?
    You can cancel Jitterbug Flip service at any time, but you will be responsible for charges and overages through the date of final billing.
    Does Jitterbug Flip offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, Jitterbug Flip comes with a one-year standard limited warranty.
    Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Flip?
    Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Flip emergency call devices.
    What is Jitterbug Flip’s average response time?
    Operators immediately respond when you press the 5Star Urgent Response button.
    Where are Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers located?
    Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers have multiple locations and they service most of the United States.
    Does Jitterbug Flip offer a free trial period?
    No, Jitterbug Flip doesn’t offer a free trial period.
    Are Jitterbug Flip medical alert systems waterproof?
    No, the Jitterbug Flip is not waterproof.
    How much does Jitterbug Flip phone cost per month?
    Jitterbug Flip cost per month starts at $19.99 but your monthly charge could depend on which plan you choose.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Flip?

Yes. GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones can summon help in the event of a fall or other emergency. Jitterbug Flip has a powerful 5Start urgent response button along with a suite of other health and safety services. Urgent care assistance, medical advice, wellness calls, daily health tips, brain games and 24/7 emergency access. are just a few of the available Jitterbug Flip services.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information