Call toll free
3.44/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Most customers purchase the Jitterbug Flip as an alternative to their normal cell phone. Reviewers say that the Jitterbug Flip has great sound quality and comes at an affordable price.

PROS

• Friendly customer service representatives
  • Cheaper than a normal cell phone
  • Great sound quality
  • Easy-to-push-buttons
  • Option to monitor account usage online

CONS

• Limited signal in some areas
  • Time to migrate your old phone number can vary

1121 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I tried Jitterbug Flip because I don’t use those other phones and it's much better. I can tap a button and get whoever I want. I got a problem with paying my bills now though. They automatically take my money out on the 18th of the month and I don’t like that. I tried to get it changed for my money to be taken out on the 3rd of the month because that’s when I get my little money and that’s when I pay my other bills. At the 18th of the month, if I don't have money in the bank then I have to pay that plus the $35 fee from the bank. I couldn’t get it changed though. But besides my payment statement, my experience with Jitterbug has been good so far.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Cathy, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Flip phone and Smart phone. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Would you please contact our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM – 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, so we can go through troubleshooting steps to resolve this matter.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have been with Jitterbug for about 8 years. I love my old Samsung Jitterbug phone but it was getting old so my husband and I thought we would buy new flip phones. At first I bought a Jitterbug Smartphone for me and a flip phone for my husband. They are both cheap junkie phones. The sound quality is like a old transistor radio, the ringer comes and goes, the reception is not as good as the old phones. I guess as I've always heard, you get what you pay for. I called customer service and was told that Samsung doesn't make the Jitterbug phones anymore and that the new ones are made by a different company. Apparently that isn't a very good company at making phones. I'm going with another company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I’m not a techie person and the Jitterbug seemed like it was going to be easier. But it was a pain in the butt. I even said, "Forget it," because it was supposed to be so easy. That was the advertisement on it and that’s exactly what I wanted. I don’t like reading directions. I like to be able to figure it out and it was difficult. It took me a long time to be able to text. I’d push the A when I was trying to get the B which was next on the same key but I didn’t really know how to do that. I read a little bit of the directions and then I sort of figured it out on my own. Then it was better. But you have to push the same button three or four times and then if you push it too fast, you don’t get the letter you were looking for. I can capitalize the beginning of a sentence if I use a punctuation mark but I have yet to figure out how to capitalize somebody’s name. I haven’t spent a lot of time on it but I don’t wanna have to.

I'm cheap and that's one reason I have an inexpensive phone. I didn’t care about going to the internet but I didn't really know in the beginning I wouldn’t be able to download games on the flip phone. I don’t think I paid attention. I don’t play a lot of games so it’s not important. But I do miss Candy Crush. Also, I went to another state right after I bought the phone and the battery died. I was on the phone with the Jitterbug company for several different times trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with the phone. Those added up close to eight hours. So I wasted a lot of time trying to figure that out. But I finally got it. The guy in Best Buy where I bought it had done the wrong thing when he was activating the phone. He pulled the sim card. He really screwed it all up.

They said I was gonna have to start over and they sent me a new phone to my home. That was okay but in getting that process done, I would get hung up on and then I would have to call and explain it again. So it was difficult. Going through all that while being out of town made me mad. What I did then also was use my brother's phone. He had a heart attack and he didn't need his phone. I used it until I could get home to get my new phone that Best Buy had sent. It ended up working and it’s been a lot better since then. I’m not so dissatisfied now.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I’ve had several very expensive telephones that I wasn’t able to use because they were too complicated for me, and Jitterbug wasn’t. I only use it when I travel, so it mostly just sits here. Still, it’s very reliable. Also, the billing process has gone very smoothly.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The Jitterbug is easy to operate. It's easy to read and the numbers are big. Right now, my price is okay too. My sister liked Jitterbug. She had one when she lived up here because it has the big numbers. I, on the other hand, needed it for emergencies in case I’m out and have car trouble. I also took it with me to the hospital in case I needed to call long-distance. I thought I’d use it more but I hadn’t been able to get out much. I can’t walk unless I’ve got a walker. At least I’ve got it if my other phone goes out. I've got that phone that I'm paying with my television so I don't use the Jitterbug much. I've got it for backup. Not too many people even have my Jitterbug phone number. My daughter does and she lives at Georgetown. Nonetheless, I’m satisfied with it. The Jitterbug people have been super nice too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The Jitterbug Flip is a nice phone. I like the color. It's red. Visually, it’s beautiful and it’s functional. The big number feature is very nice. I have a hard time reading so that’s wonderful. But I’m not a big phone user. I've used it maybe 20 times and I don’t think I’m gonna have it long. I have a land phone in the house. I also have a computer and I hardly even use that. I’m 85 years old and I have a car. I bought the Jitterbug Flip for emergencies, like when I’m driving out. But I never use it and I’m gonna give my car to my granddaughter. I even forget to take the phone with me when I walk outside. But I live in an adult community and there are 2,000 people here. If I fall, there’s security right here. So I really don’t need it.

My sister is using the Jitterbug phone also and she has had it for years. She lives in South Carolina and she has her own house. She walks and she has the phone either in her car or in her bag all the time. She recommended me getting it. At the time, she had the old phone and she told me that Jitterbug had sent her a newer version and that she loves it. That's the one I have but I don’t use it. But for a person who needs it, it would be wonderful.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I will never use GreatCall service again. I never received a bill until I received a last payment after they abruptly cut off the phone. The only response from the service was that, "We'll send the bills out on the 2nd of each month." They were not willing to discuss the fact I never received any bills. There are too many competitors I can go to who will not insult someone.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear of your billing issues and we appreciate your feedback. Our records indicate that seven monthly service invoices generated and were sent to the same address that the phone was delivered to. We made several attempts to reach you for payment, but we were not successful, and the account was closed due to nonpayment. Although we had not received a payment from you for the monthly service fees, we see that you were able to use your phone. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any questions, please call us, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific time, for assistance.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My 94 y.o. mom has had a Jitterbug since they first came out. The Flip phone has been a problem for her. It frequently won't turn on or give a dial tone. Then I take the back off, and the battery is popped out of its placement. When I take it completely out & then reinsert, put the back cover back on, it usually works. My mom is 94. She can't get the cover off to do this by herself & guess what? She shouldn't have to. BBC did we get a lemon???

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Jane, we are sorry that you are having a hard time using your Mother's Jitterbug Flip phone. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632 between 5am and 8pm, Pacific Time, on another phone so we can go through troubleshooting steps to get it working properly.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Please!! Beware of this product... ESPECIALLY the elderly... I bought one at Rite Aide... Had serious signal problems as well as people hearing me once I was able to make a call! Went to Rite Aide and traded it thinking it was a phone issue. Drove around to several locations in 3 cities. Poor signal almost everywhere.

Finally found out that GreatCall borrows towers from Verizon. Talking with them was told that they only supply towers and have nothing to do with them otherwise and that if congestion is encountered their customers come first!! Understandable.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Earl, we are sorry about the coverage issues you experienced with your Jitterbug Flip phone. Jitterbug phones work on the GreatCall network which is powered by the nation’s largest and most dependable wireless network but unfortunately things like weather, topography and other environmental considerations and service may vary significantly within buildings. If you would like to go through troubleshooting, please call our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM and 8PM, Pacific Standard Time.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My husband likes his Jitterbug Flip well and he is pleased with it. It is what he wanted. It is small but he can read the numbers okay and he can use it without glasses. He just wanted to take pictures with it. It is also something convenient for him. He can take it with him on his walks around the neighborhood. In case he needs me for something, he can get a hold of me and if he goes to the store or somewhere, I can get a hold of him too in case of emergency as I’m on oxygen. So far, everything seems to be going well with it. We liked that with Jitterbug, he did not have to go on a contract. Jitterbug bills us monthly so I don’t have to worry about trying to put minutes on it. It is a very reasonable phone and we would recommend it to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been pleased with Jitterbug Flip. I like that it is easy to do what I wanna do on it. Plus, their buttons are bigger so it is easier to push. I recommend this company.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My 86 year old father ended up in a nursing home. He's unable to use the phone. The only way I was able to deactivate his service was to sign up with another service. The other company canceled GreatCall, then I canceled the other service. GreatCall sends me a final bill showing nothing is due. A month later, I see a debit to my father's checking account for service, then received a bill showing zero minutes used and a $44 fee for service. Nobody reactivated his phone (it's actually broken in two pieces). I called GreatCall, but I'm not on the account, so I can't get anywhere. My only option now is to go to his bank and have the debit reversed and further GreatCall debits blocked. Can't believe that's my only option, especially when dealing with a company that deals with many elderly customers.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi William, we are sorry about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Flip. Please send an email to customerservice@greatcall.com, with your account information and a copy of your review comments. We would like to review the account with you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On 3rd day of trying to migrate a prior phone # over was then told 1-3 business days to accomplish feat. For a phone targeted to seniors this company does not make the switch easy. Other companies in past migrate numbers in minutes not days!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My daughter suggested that I use Jitterbug because it has a speaker on it and it's simple to use. With the one I have, I can let everybody know where I am. When I'm out I can call people. Smartphones are too smart for me. I'm satisfied with my Jitterbug.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

While I don't use the Jitterbug phone too often, I'm satisfied with it. I take it with me when I go to the lake. Plus the price was right.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I appreciate Medical Alert even more since I used Great Call for over a year and had poor service with fall detection. I had to recharge the device every 6 to 8 hours. I have poor signal strength with the Jitterbug phone. I am looking for a different phone service provider as well. Great Call falsely advertises their company is number one. Last time I checked it had fallen to number 8. I recommend number 1, Medical Guardian.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Margaret, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Lively Mobile and we appreciate your feedback. Most devices stay charged up to 24hours, however, signal strength and some active services may cause the battery to drain faster. We do recommend that the Lively Mobile be charged daily, for at least 90 minutes and it can be charged overnight as you cannot over charge it.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have had the upgraded Flip phone for two months, the original phone was of better quality. The new phone is hard to hear, the ringtone volume is poor when called. I have excellent hearing and have missed calls because of the poor quality. I believe that I was provided with a refurbished phone. Thinking seriously of cancelling this service and going to another company like Straight Talk.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Eddie, we are sorry you are experiencing low volume on your Jitterbug Flip phone. We would recommend changing the ringtone to something that may be louder and verify that your volume is on “Volume Max” by pressing the button on the side of your phone. If this does not resolve this matter, please contact our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM and 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, to go through troubleshooting.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have a sister with Down Syndrome who had been asking for a cell phone. I finally bought her the Jitterbug Flip phone. The numbers are large, the display is large and it is very easy for her to use. She can now call her family and she also feels like everyone else who has a cell phone. I like that I can manage her numbers and her account usage, the website is very user-friendly. I highly recommend this phone!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Hi I've used it 5 times since I bought it, tons of scammers call every day. Wish it had call blocking, and I can't figure out how to empty the calls in or out... The camera is fair, what do I do with the pictures now... Not happy but it's cheap.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I'm 80 years old and not in the best of health so I like to carry a phone around. I got Jitterbug Flip as it was cheap and I take it with me everywhere. It’s working fine and I’m happy with it. My wife has one too.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I've been with GreatCall for over 10 yrs and this is the first phone we do not like. The phone takes a long time to come on when you flip it open. Shuts off by itself, thinking it was the phone I ordered a new one, still doing the same thing. The old flip was so much better. Because my Husband has cancer and needs to get a hold of me in a hurry this phone won't do it. Thinking about the smartphone now may work better, been with GreatCall so long now would hate to change carrier but may have to.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Ruby, thank you for your feedback. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance at 1 800-733-6632. Please give us a call for assistance.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Oooh my gosh! I feel sorry for anybody over age 60 that tries to sign up for a plan. I purchased this phone from Best Buy today! I attempted to activate it online and was driven in circles between the security phrase and credit card information. Every time I chose a security phrase of 1-10 characters - it would be rejected... but it also wiped out my credit card information. When I completed another phrase - it would be rejected and wiped out my credit card information. But the best part is when I called and got a rep. The basic plan of 19.99 balloons to close to 40.00 a month. I asked the rep at least 6 times do I get minutes and the 5 star coverage for 19.99. I was told yes. But when she gave me my estimated monthly total - it would be $40.00! How do we go from 20-40? The call lasted 45 minutes until I finally said, "I can't do this. I'm returning the phone." Beware!!!

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear about your activation issues and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service and will always take the time to understand each individual subscriber’s needs and usage requirements before we recommend a service plan. We offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits and it sounds like we recommend our unlimited plan with 5Star for $40.00. All rate plans can be reviewed on our website, www.greatcall.com.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Purchased for my 92 yr old Mother in law. Big hassle getting activated. Everyone I spoke with had a different story and service price. They were rude and hard to understand. I got cut off and had to call back. I finally told the last person I talked with to forget it and I wanted to return the phone. I have since spent two days trying to get in touch with customer service at CordlessWorks where I purchased the phone from to get instructions to return the phone. I have emailed, called several times a day only to get the recording that they could not take my call at this time. I left a message and never received a response. The ads are not truthful and I would never recommend this service to anyone! Got a much more straightforward phone and service locally.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear about your activation issues with GreatCall and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits. Our rate plans can be reviewed on our website, www.greatcall.com. We are unable to assist or comment on your experience with CordlessWorks.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I didn’t want the smartphones that I have to go to graduate from college again to learn how to run. I’m 77 years old and I don’t need all that technology. The Jitterbug is great and I’m satisfied with it. The numbers are bigger and I everything on it is easy. I also take pictures with it. One time, the Jitterbug wouldn’t go on. I called and the young man that I spoke with was very helpful. He told me to take the battery out and reinsert it. It has been fine ever since. My other friends have flip phones and the functions on it aren’t very good so I told them that they should get a Jitterbug.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Do not buy this phone or the service. I did and it was a HUGE mistake. 1st) This review is for those thinking they don't need the button that will call for an emergency response. That being said, most people think they are buying a cost-effective plan that will do what a phone is supposed to do. Make and receive calls. I live in a major metropolitan city. The service was shoddy from the start. When I opened the phone to make a call it waited a second or two before it would allow me to do so. Great Call even sent me a second phone with only slight improvement. The service was so bad that when I had the phone (at maximum volume) near my reading chair and a call would come in - the phone would not ring. Seriously!!! This happened many times. A minute later a ding would be heard and it would indicate I missed a call.

The phone provided called a "Jitterbug" is made by Alcatel. It has reputation for making phones - be it flip or smart, is HORRIBLE. That was sorely proven to me when I got mine. Also the Great Call plan nickels and dimes you by charging extra for basics (such as voice mail). Suffice it to say I switched. I like flip phones. The best plan that provides a quality flip phone is AT&T. Their phone is an LG. Once I switched over, it was like night and day. The phone works great, I don't miss calls, etc. AGAIN BE FOREWARNED, the Jitterbug/Alcatel phone is horrible!!! (As is the Great Call service).

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear about your issues and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Jitterbug phones were specifically designed to work on the GreatCall network which is powered by the nation’s largest and most dependable wireless network. The issues you are describing could have been signal related. Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, things such as weather, buildings, building materials, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. GreatCall offers a variety of plans and services, some of which are a la carte, so you can choose the features that you want to have, on your phone. All plans and services can be viewed at the GreatCall web page.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My parent's phone was frozen. I called customer service and they were extremely helpful. This was a common problem and a new software update was needed. I had to remove the battery for 30 seconds first, then was able to receive the software's update.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I'm very satisfied with the Jitterbug phone and I will continue to use it. It's easy to use, the price is very reasonable, and I'm not locked into a contract. I just need it for emergencies and it works for me for the little bit that I use it.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I work outside a lot of times and I put the Jitterbug in my pocket or in the little holder for it, but it falls down on the ground. It’s so slick so I don’t take it with me. Instead, I just leave it sitting on the table. Over time, I'm gradually using it more. I'm 90 years old and had gotten it for that five-star thing on it, so if I have trouble in the house or if I fall, I can get to it. However, I've got three or four phones in the house that are easier to use than the Jitterbug. Also, one time it had gotten about 10 minutes slow on the time. I called them and the guy said to hold on the line and that he’d fix it and he did. Still, I watch it like a clock a lot of times and I like the calendar very much. I'd recommend the Jitterbug to older people.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Somebody told me that she has a Jitterbug phone and that she liked it. What I wanted mine for was to carry it with me when I got in the car, in case the car broke down. My Jitterbug phone is okay, but the ring is pretty awful and I don’t use it very often. Also, I don’t get very many calls as I don’t give that number out. The only problem that I’ve had with it is with the charger of the phone for the car. I used it once and I’ve never been able to use it since as the plugs are too wide and won’t go in. Nevertheless, I’d recommend Jitterbug to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My wife and I both bought Jitterbug Flip-phones a couple of years ago. We've kept them ONLY because changing phones, phone companies, etc. is a hassle. Thus, this review covers MANY MONTHS OF EXPERIENCE with GreatCall, its phones and, most importantly, its customer service people. Any intelligent person who reads through these reviews will soon see a pattern emerge: Too many people who have problems! Now you can add us to the list. When we recently relocated, my wife and I diligently informed GreatCall of our new address. Lesson learned? Don't even bother with the change of address notification on the back of your statement. I filled it out TWICE. Yet today, when I contacted customer service, the GreatCall rep [named "Jessie"] still showed my old address as being current.

The entire time we've had our Flip phones, we've experienced two recurring problems: First, even though we delete voicemails, our "voice mailboxes" will continue to show that we have messages -- when we don't! GreatCall knows about this problem, but it's evidently too much trouble for them to fix. Second, for "either press or say aloud" menus, the Flip phones as often as not will not pick up the "press" responses. In other words, if a response isn't said aloud, it isn't recorded. Finally, the rep I spoke with this afternoon ("Jessie") exemplifies a more recent annoyance. He wasn't friendly... He wasn't unfriendly... He was just BORED! He didn't care, pure and simple! His whole tone gave him away. That's been a recent, unfortunate trend. Mediocre phones... mediocre calling experiences... and mediocre service... If you're OK with "mediocre", you'll love GreatCall!

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall expert review by Shelley Webb

Starting at $99 plus monthly plan and activation fee, this flip-style cell phone comes with easy-to-read buttons and an extra large screen, backlit keypad and powerful speaker. Just press the 5Star Button to instantly connect to GreatCall’s award-winning customer service in times of emergency.

• 5Star Button: Instantly connect to emergency support.

• Simple design: Easy-to-use cell flip-style cell phone with big buttons and an extra large screen, backlit keypad and powerful speaker.

• Extra features: Comes with a flashlight and magnifier.

• GreatCall link: Easily stay connected with family and friends with the Link app. Link sends updates to friends, family and caregivers about the user’s well-being.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information