Call toll free
1.39/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones are for those who want a simple medical alert device that doubles as a phone. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to 5Star Urgent Response.

PROS

• Quick response time
  • Helpful caregiver services
  • Great service area
  • Designs/functions for older adults

CONS

• No voice-enabled options
  • No waterproof options

Top Jitterbug Flip Reviews

04/06/2019

The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring… she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me.

05/28/2019

...I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency….

Jitterbug flip review

GreatCall created the Jitterbug Flip as a phone for older adults. Although it can act as a simple cell phone, the Jitterbug Flip also has a 5Star Urgent Response button that instantly contacts emergency medical services for seniors’ health and safety. The display is large, so it’s easy to read, and the menu options are easy to understand. Other design touches include big buttons, a more powerful speaker, a flashlight app and a magnifying function for those with vision issues.

Available in graphite or red, Jitterbug Flip phones weigh 4.7 ounces. The device is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall and less than 1 inch thick, with a 3.2-inch internal display and 1.44-inch external display. The device has a camera, GPS, Bluetooth, speakerphone capabilities and is hearing aid compatible. Jitterbug Flip specs also include 1GB of built-in memory storage so you can store hundreds of contacts, dozens of messages and thousands of photos.

Jitterbug Flip phone plans

Jitterbug Flip offers Basic, Preferred and Ultimate phone plans for customers with different lifestyles and activity levels. All phone plans include Jitterbug 5Star service. Talk and text services are available for additional fees.

• Jitterbug Flip Basic: The Jitterbug Flip Basic phone plan is $19.99 per month and includes 5Star Urgent Response, Check-In Call, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games, and The Wellness Call.
  • Jitterbug Flip Preferred: The Jitterbug Flip Preferred phone plan is $24.99 per month and includes all services covered in the Jitterbug Flip Basic plan, as well as the Urgent Care and GreatCall Link services.
  • Jitterbug Flip Ultimate: The Jitterbug Flip Ultimate phone plan is $34.99 per month and has everything from the Jitterbug Flip Basic and JItterbug Flip Preferred plan, but also includes the Personal Operator and Product Replacement services.

Compare Jitterbug Flip packages

All Jitterbug Flip packages come with 5Star Response, Check-In Call, MedCoach, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games and The Wellness Call services.

BasicPreferredUltimate
Basic$19.99
Preferred$24.99
Ultimate$34.99

Jitterbug Flip services

Jitterbug Flip services benefit those who are independent but want the peace of mind knowing that support is readily available in an emergency. 24/7 professional assistance is available, and caregivers can easily check on their loved one’s health and wellness without disturbing them. Service plans are customizable to suit a variety of needs.

• Check-in Call: Daily, automated check-in calls are available with health and wellness questions based on personal preference. Pain level, appetite and overall well-being are all check-in options.
  • MedCoach: A service that reminds you to stay on a medication schedule or refill prescriptions.
  • Daily Health Tips: Daily health tips from the American Heart Association that include information on health, wellness, activity and diet.
  • Brain Games: Fun brain games help keep you focused and improve memory.
  • The Wellness Call: A daily check-in call that puts you in touch with a wellness expert.
  • Urgent Care: Users speak with a real, live nurse and even a board-certified doctor at any time without an appointment. Additionally, you can get prescriptions for common medications over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: Caregivers can stay informed about the health and safety of their loved ones through the GreatCall Link app.
  • Personal Operator: Unlimited access to a live operator who is ready to assist you with any information you may need.
  • Product Replacement: If your Jitterbug Flip phone is broken, lost, or even stolen, this Product Replacement service replaces the device at no additional cost.

1194 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 28, 2019

For a few years I used the GreatCall Lively Alert. I had it only 3 months and it stopped charging. I called customer support and they walked me through all the tests and decided that it was not functional. The rep said that she would send out the Jitterbug Flip as a temporary solution until the new improved Lively becomes available. I actually like the Jitterbug Flip much better than the Lively Alert and will keep it. The charger issue can be resolved by pushing down and wriggling the phone in the charger unit. When I first received it I noted that I could not hear the speakerphone well. With speaker off it was much louder. I called Customer Service and the man said that a software update would be out in a few days.

Sure enough, it happened and now the speakerphone is working well. I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency. There are two things, however, that I would improve. The first is volume. For hard of hearing even the loudest is not that loud. How about making the volume a notch louder? Secondly, the Games. They are great for improving memory and response processing time but they have one big problem. After using it a few times it speeds up the point where it is impossible to answer the questions. It would be nice to choose a faster speed rather than have it forced on you. Overall, I think the phone that I received, and I guess I am a lucky one, is pretty good and does the job.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I purchased this neat phone after 2 yrs. deciding on it. I am not sorry so far. The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring, even as it is set at Max. I had my customer service rep. call me on it to check it out, I too told her I could barely hear it ring, she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me. I could hear the customer rep. perfect on it and she had me call 5* while on the phone with her, they too were very nice, told them I had just received the phone and wanted to check to see if we were connected. So far, everything is fine. I will be giving it a good testing when I go to babysit my grandsons in a few weeks for 2 wks. as it will be my only phone.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I tried Jitterbug Flip because I don’t use those other phones and it's much better. I can tap a button and get whoever I want. I got a problem with paying my bills now though. They automatically take my money out on the 18th of the month and I don’t like that. I tried to get it changed for my money to be taken out on the 3rd of the month because that’s when I get my little money and that’s when I pay my other bills. At the 18th of the month, if I don't have money in the bank then I have to pay that plus the $35 fee from the bank. I couldn’t get it changed though. But besides my payment statement, my experience with Jitterbug has been good so far.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Cathy, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Flip phone and Smart phone. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Would you please contact our Customer Service at 1(800)733-6632 between 5AM – 8PM, Pacific Standard Time, on another phone, so we can go through troubleshooting steps to resolve this matter.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The Jitterbug is easy to operate. It's easy to read and the numbers are big. Right now, my price is okay too. My sister liked Jitterbug. She had one when she lived up here because it has the big numbers. I, on the other hand, needed it for emergencies in case I’m out and have car trouble. I also took it with me to the hospital in case I needed to call long-distance. I thought I’d use it more but I hadn’t been able to get out much. I can’t walk unless I’ve got a walker. At least I’ve got it if my other phone goes out. I've got that phone that I'm paying with my television so I don't use the Jitterbug much. I've got it for backup. Not too many people even have my Jitterbug phone number. My daughter does and she lives at Georgetown. Nonetheless, I’m satisfied with it. The Jitterbug people have been super nice too.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The Jitterbug Flip is a nice phone. I like the color. It's red. Visually, it’s beautiful and it’s functional. The big number feature is very nice. I have a hard time reading so that’s wonderful. But I’m not a big phone user. I've used it maybe 20 times and I don’t think I’m gonna have it long. I have a land phone in the house. I also have a computer and I hardly even use that. I’m 85 years old and I have a car. I bought the Jitterbug Flip for emergencies, like when I’m driving out. But I never use it and I’m gonna give my car to my granddaughter. I even forget to take the phone with me when I walk outside. But I live in an adult community and there are 2,000 people here. If I fall, there’s security right here. So I really don’t need it.

My sister is using the Jitterbug phone also and she has had it for years. She lives in South Carolina and she has her own house. She walks and she has the phone either in her car or in her bag all the time. She recommended me getting it. At the time, she had the old phone and she told me that Jitterbug had sent her a newer version and that she loves it. That's the one I have but I don’t use it. But for a person who needs it, it would be wonderful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Jitterbug Flip Phone has broken software that makes it so callers cannot hear you on the Jitterbug. We got the phone in 6 months ago and are slow to acknowledge the fatal issue. We were also told that after 30 days you cannot return the phone for refund. GreatCall says in the comments here just call them to "resolve" the issue. And no you cannot return phone for refund after 30 days. The Samsung Smartphone works fine. But you sure do not want the Jitterbug that they know does not work.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Jeff, we are sorry to hear your Jitterbug Flip phone is not working properly. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I bought a Jitterbug flip phone for my senior citizen mother and within a few months it has multiple problems including occasional 'brick'ing with inability to charge; failure to indicate ring tone when calling; a diagonal line distortion that now crosses the entire LCD internal screen. What are my options with getting Jitterbug to do something about this? I have no confidence in the phone's reliability for her when she needs it.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Al, we are sorry to hear you encountered a problem with the Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Ordered the Jitterbug on their 30-day "trial" basis with a temporary number until I decided to transfer my husband's number over. Trying out the phone at home was difficult to hear and had a bad connection. My husband didn't like it and I sent it back with-in about 15 days. I received a refund back (because they charged his card $120.04 in the beginning (in case we decided to keep it). But the credit was minus $12.53. Not only did I pay for shipping it back to them, but they charged me for their shipping cost (hence the $12.53). This was never told to me when she "sold" the phone. Just beware and ask about all costs!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Janet, we are sorry about your recent experience with your Jitterbug phone. Per GreatCall’s 30-day return policy, stated in our Terms and Conditions packaged with each phone and can also be found on our webpage https://www.greatcall.com/legal/guarantee, states for any reason within 30 days from date of purchase, you are not completely satisfied with your phone or device, we will refund the activation fee, the first month's service charge, the cost of the phone/device, plus applicable taxes, less the restocking fee and shipping fee, as long as you do not exceed 30 minutes of talk time. If you have any further questions, please reach out to us or call Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632, between 5am and 10pm, Pacific Time.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I ordered this phone for my 90 year old mom. She needs just to be able to make calls, answer calls and get voice messages. The salesperson was great. He assured me that this was a great phone for her needs, that it came with a temporary number and we could try it before bringing her old number over. HOWEVER, the problems started when the first phone was received. It failed to activate properly--ERROR CODE 7. I called customer service and was advised that the phone had to be replaced and new phone expedited out and return envelope sent for getting the bad phone back. Once the second phone was received we set up and got going easily. However, the speech quality was very garbled and often unintelligible. We tried some different settings without success and I called customer service. I was advised there was an update that needed to be sent and would be 7-10 days.

We waited. (All this time trying to use a phone where callers could not understand the words) We thought the issue was a bit better, but no one had advised a way to confirm if the update went thru.. So, a few days later, again horrible speech - sounded like underwater having a stroke. Called again. Told the update had not gone thru and could I take the phone to an area that was closer to the towers. I got right in the car and drove to the nearest city. Called back (different rep of course) and told that the request from 13 days prior was never sent out and that I did NOT need to be in a different area for the update to go thru. At this point, I lost patience. The rep indicated he would send request again and would update in 12-24 hours...

Never went thru (I now had the secret code to call on the phone to check the version and knew what version was bad and which was the updated). There were a couple other odd things that I contacted them about as well, some of which were done, some not. I did look at other reviews after we had the phone problems and saw that this garbled speech has been a known issue and was a known issue before I ordered the phone. They told me they knew the phones in the warehouse were with the bad firmware. Why would a company send out phones that they knew would not work properly? If they had to due to "activation by the customer" why would they not tell the customer that an update was needed and warn of the problems? Also, with all the various calls I made, why did I have to discover that this was a known problem from reading online reviews? The phone is going back today and we are moving on to a different option.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Jean, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Purchased this device a few months ago for my 90 year old father. He needed a device with larger keys and ease of use. This device has the larger keys but is confusing to use. It doesn't operate like other phones. But the most disturbing thing that I encountered is that it does not ring very loudly even on the Max setting. Since I live several hours away I was not able to observe him using the phone prior to the 30 day refund period, now we are stuck with it. Customer support said that the phone rings no louder than any other phone, but I find that it does not ring as any that I tested it against. I will be returning him to his pre-paid phone.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Gwen, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Jitterbug Flip phone accessories

Jitterbug Flip packages include the charging dock and battery. Additional Jitterbug Flip phone accessories can be purchased separately to make charging, carrying and communication more simple.

EXTRA CHARGING DOCK
  • $24.99
  • Keep your Jitterbug Flip phone charged and ready with an additional charging dock.
TRAVEL WALL CHARGER
  • $19.99
  • The travel Jitterbug Flip phone charger cable is 45 inches long and compatible with 100–420-volt two-prong outlets.
CAR CHARGER
  • $24.99
  • The Jitterbug Flip car charger coiled cable stretches 12–40 inches.
HOLSTER CASE
  • $19.99
  • The Jitterbug Flip phone case easily attaches to a belt, pocket or purse to securely carry your device.
EXTRA BATTERY
  • $19.99
  • A Jitterbug Flip phone battery replacement for if you need a new one.
BLUETOOTH HEADSET
  • $49.99
  • Samsung HM1300 Bluetooth Headset enables hands-free communication with automatic pairing and static-free connection.

Jitterbug Flip caregiver tools

With the GreatCall Link app, caregivers know immediately if the Jitterbug device is on and where it is located. Caregivers are notified when the battery is low so they can remind their loved one to charge their device. The Link app also sends notifications for certain actions, such as when 5Star is utilized. You can check in to see if appointments are being kept, if medication has been taken and more. The monitoring GeatCall Link app comes included with the Preferred and Ultimate Jitterbug phone plans.

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip FAQ

Can I use the Jitterbug Flip with AT&T?
Jitterbug Flip comes with GreatCall’s standard network service, but it’s possible for an unlocked Jitterbug Flip phone to work on the AT&T network.
Can I block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone?
No, you can’t block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone.
How do I change my Jitterbug Flip plan?
You can change your Jitterbug Flip plan by contacting Jitterbug customer service agents over the phone.
What is Jitterbug Flip’s return policy?
You must return the Jitterbug Flip within 30 days to get a refund for the activation fee, first-month service charge and the cost of the device. Keep in mind that shipping charges aren’t refundable and restocking fees may apply.
Where can I buy Jitterbug Flip?
You can purchase Jitterbug Flip phones directly from the GreatCall website or by calling the number above. They are also available at popular retail stores like Walmart, Rite Aid and Amazon.
What is Jitterbug Flip cancellation policy?
You can cancel Jitterbug Flip service at any time, but you will be responsible for charges and overages through the date of final billing.
Does Jitterbug Flip offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Yes, Jitterbug Flip comes with a one-year standard limited warranty.
Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Flip?
Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Flip emergency call devices.
What is Jitterbug Flip’s average response time?
Operators immediately respond when you press the 5Star Urgent Response button.
Where are Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers located?
Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers have multiple locations and they service most of the United States.
Does Jitterbug Flip offer a free trial period?
No, Jitterbug Flip doesn’t offer a free trial period.
Are Jitterbug Flip medical alert systems waterproof?
No, the Jitterbug Flip is not waterproof.
How much does Jitterbug Flip phone cost per month?
Jitterbug Flip cost per month starts at $19.99 but your monthly charge could depend on which plan you choose.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Flip?

Yes. GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones can summon help in the event of a fall or other emergency. Jitterbug Flip has a powerful 5Start urgent response button along with a suite of other health and safety services. Urgent care assistance, medical advice, wellness calls, daily health tips, brain games and 24/7 emergency access. are just a few of the available Jitterbug Flip services.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information