Call toll free
4.14/5
Based on 209 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1082 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

NOT $19 as website list but $37.50 monthly! One week customer and already double charged! Hung up on twice. Spent hours now days trying to fix activation problems and much more. I now want to give them one last chance however so far this has been one of the worst new phone services I have ever purchase. Worse is this is suppose to be an emergency easy to use phone for my mother.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Jitterbug was on RateIt and then I called them to find answers about the alert. That was what I had in mind because I don't like the idea of wearing something around my neck. And since I always have my walker, it's easy to put it in one of the pockets. So, I always have it with me. But I'm not the best person in the world for cell phones and computers and I've found it very hard sometimes to get it to on and off, as well as to erase stuff. I just had troubles. I've been in and out of the hospital and I have relied on it in the hospital in order to call out from my room. I had them bring it in and I plugged it in. There was one woman in there who had one that was was similar but older and she didn’t have any problems. But the people in the house who picked it up have had troubles too.

If I had it to do all over again, I would put out a lot of money and get an expensive model, maybe voice-controlled because I have problems with my hands due to a stroke. But all in all, Jitterbug was made for elderly people. The whole idea was something simple for the elderly. However, I found my other cellphone’s a lot easier to work and have control over than I did with the one that was supposed to be easy for the elderly.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I helped an older friend acquire a Jitterbug Flip phone, which is GREAT as a phone. And the mobile service (through Verizon) has worked very well, as expected. Trouble comes when discovering that many to most of the additional services offered by GreatCall are not worth the costs for this user. Other users will have different preferences, but there is NO WAY to see clearly what service options are available, at what prices. The only way, confirmed through more than two phone calls to GreatCall Customer Service, is to pretend one is a non-customer, shopping for a new phone and service. Then one MIGHT find details about content and pricing connected to the various packages. Or, perhaps only discover through trial and error that, for instance, the talk and text options do NOT include Voicemail. This is not fair, transparent, nor kind to the senior customers GreatCall services.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2018

I've had this phone for about 2 years, and have begun experiencing a problem with receiving and sending text messages, and receiving voice messages. I'll send a text, and the screen will say that the message had been delivered, but the message is not being shown as sent when I choose Read Text Messages. So I don't know whether or not the person got the text. This is unacceptable. Also, sometimes I receive only part of a text, which is totally frustrating. But the worst is when I don't receive a text. Someone will say "Didn't you read the text I sent you?", and I have to say that I didn't get it. The manual doesn't mention anything about this, like why it happens or what to do about it. There are many times when someone leaves me a voice message, but it doesn't come through. One time I received a voice message that the person had sent 2 weeks prior. Why is this happening? I think it's time for me to lose this 'toy' and buy myself a smartphone.

Jitterbug Flip response

Marilyn, we are sorry to hear you have encountered a problem. At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. From technical support professionals to customer service representatives, we are ready to help any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance, 1 800-733-6632.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I got this phone because of its emergency help button - which I haven't had to use yet, thank goodness. I also got it because I like flip phones and this one has big numbers which make it easier for my arthritic fingers. I had trouble with the charging stand, called the manufacturer and they sent me a new one. I like this kind of service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: June 13, 2018

My dad needs a phone that's as simple as possible. We got him a Jitterbug phone and so far, it's been a good experience. I need him to remember to use it though. He doesn't remember to use it or take it with him when he leaves the house. He misplaced it recently and so, I had to call Jitterbug to see if we could ping it and put it on hold. We found the phone, and all is well now.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2018

My husband had a different cell phone but he wanted to try Jitterbug because he liked the emergency feature in it. We just got it about six weeks ago. The Jitterbug Flip doesn’t work very well and it takes days for the battery to charge up. I have a cellphone, not a Jitterbug and it charges within an hour. The Jitterbug has been plugged in for 36 hours and it still doesn’t have a charge. It’s really useless and if you have a cellphone, it shouldn’t take days for it to charge. It’s not gonna work on an emergency if it doesn’t have a charge.

My husband called them to tell them the problem and he was on the phone with them for a bit. That was when they said they would send a new charger out. They sent a new charger but the new charger doesn’t work either, same as the old one. There have been very few calls made on this phone and he’s not a big user of a cell phone. I wouldn’t recommend Jitterbug Flip to anybody. I have a phone that is about six years old and I don’t have any problems with it. It doesn’t have the safety feature on it but I can use it.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Mary, we are sorry to hear you have encountered a charging problem with your husbands Jitterbug Flip phone. The Flip should be fully charged in 90 minutes. If you are not experiencing that with the new charging cradle, try charging with just the USB cable to see if it charges quicker. At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. If the phone still does not charge in 90 minutes, our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you in resolving your issues.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I had bad service from Verizon so I decided to get a phone from Jitterbug. I’m getting better service now that I have Jitterbug. The phone is fine and their customer service has been all right.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We have a landline, and, once in a while, the squirrels chew the line and we don't have power or service. So we thought it would be a good idea to have the Jitterbug just to fall back. We feel very comforted that we have it, especially if it's stormy or we have animals chew the line on the landline. Everything has been going all right. We recommend it.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My son Joe bought Jitterbug for me. Their team helped us set it up when I first got it and they were on point. However, the phone makes a lot of static and the reception is so bad on both ends that they can't hear and I can't hear them.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My niece knew about Jitterbug. She ordered one for me so that I could have some security with the phone directly on me.

Original review: June 7, 2018

My mother is 86 years old and sometimes, it’s hard for her to make the Jitterbug work right. It’s getting her used to how to use it but I love that when she’s not at home and she goes off with her sister, she has that red button to hit. When we started, we tested it and the team was right there. She has a bracelet here but it’s a good idea. I had one problem with it where it just quit working but other than that, it’s fine. Jitterbug’s service is always good. We tried other phones and they just didn’t work.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Jitterbug's features are more in line with what I wanted -- the larger screen and the simplicity of not needing all that other stuff that goes with most of the phones. I like Jitterbug's camera because I have had a couple of occasions to use it. I use two different phones. The other one is a Tracfone and it does not have cameras. Also, Jitterbug's customer service has always been very polite and helpful. I'd recommend it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 4, 2018

Beginning in February of this year, my 86 year old mother began experiencing issues with her Jitterbug Flip phone and the service from Great Call. At times, the phone would not ring sometimes not work at all. We would reboot the phone and it would work for a few days and the issues continued. The following is a recap of the customer service we have received from Great Call. 2018 4/20 “New phone” received from Great Call. 4/22 Phone activated and worked properly. 4/23 Phone not working. I needed take my phone to my mother's home so that we could use my phone to talk with a Great Call rep to have them troubleshoot her phone. Phone worked for a short time.

4/24 and 4/25 My mother called several times as there was no dial tone and the phone was not ringing. She spoke to 4 people looking for assistance. She was finally told that within 36 – 48 hours she would receive a call from the Technical Support Team. 4/26 Spoke to another rep who said she would expedite having someone call us back. 4/27 Great Call contacted my mom but said that he was unable to help unless she had another phone at her home. Not sure why she was not told that earlier by the rep. So we had to return to my mom's with another phone. Rep said that when we had another phone available, call Customer service and ask to be transferred to technical support.

4/28, the phone was dead. We again removed the battery and when we put it back in the phone, it began working again. Spoke to tech support. He seemed like the first rep from the company who knew what they were talking about. He took us through several diagnostic tests on the phone and it appeared to be fixed 4/30 Phone ringing intermittently. Only knew a call had come in by seeing the flashing light indicating a voice mail. 5/1 Issues with phone not ringing continued. Called Great Call and spoke to another rep. She said my mom would have to have another phone available at her house.

5/2 Called Great Call and spoke to a tech who indicated that in January Great Call had started an upgrade on their system but it was still in progress and not completed and that is why we were having the issues. She said she would be able to adjust the phone and we shouldn't have any more trouble. Why is this the first time we are hearing about this? Had Great Call wasted several times for several of us over the last month? 5/? Still experiencing issues and was told a new phone would be sent. Then the phone went dead. We called and were told that they put in an order to activate a new phone which deactivated the existing phone. The existing phone was then reactivated.

5/8 Still hadn't received the new phone. When we called, we were told that when our existing phone was reactivated, the order for the new phone was cancelled. 5/10 Spoke to a department head. He said Great Call would not have a phone that will be able to fix her problems so he would not send out another phone. My mother is no longer a customer of Great Call. She never experienced a “great call” but quite the opposite. We received several different responses from several different reps. It appeared that they really didn't know what was going on or how to respond. It was the WORST customer experience we have EVER encountered.

As an 86 year old who depends on her phone, this entire situation made her extremely nervous for over a month and that is unacceptable. I would never recommend Great Call to any friends or family. Quite the opposite, I will share my mother's story of the unprofessional and horrific customer service she received from Great Call.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Barbara, we are sorry to hear of your experience and we appreciate your feedback. Although we cannot speak directly to your situation without reviewing the account, when a customer encounters repeated no ring or no dial tone, but can make outbound calls, we often find the cause to be signal related. For trouble shooting of a phone, there are several steps that need to be completed on the phone and these cannot be completed when engaged in a call. The signal strength will directly affect how long the battery lasts and if the battery is depleted, the phone will turn itself off. Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, things such as building materials or topography may affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services and will work with our teams to find a better approach to assist those that only have one phone.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I live alone and I had a heart attack so the Jitterbug is added security that I can get help right at arm’s length if I need it. Their team was very helpful with me setting it up initially and they were also very prompt in answering any questions I had. Everything works fine and even though I haven’t had mine too long, so far, I’ve been satisfied with it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 31, 2018

I contacted Jitterbug as I wasn't having good things with AT&T. Jitterbug looked so simple but there's always a kink in the roads. Jitterbug’s customer service said it was easy like ABC but my experience with them has been a mess. The phone has frozen up twice and I had nothing but trouble. One issue I had was the phone ring. I had the phone sitting right next to me because I’m old and I'm not running around to get the phone. People asked me where I was all day yesterday but the phone didn’t ring. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. My daughter takes over for me having to contact the Jitterbug team about the issues because I can't take it anymore. One man in customer service was very nice, helpful and he listened to me. But the rest of them were very abrupt like they couldn't be bothered.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Marion, we are sorry to hear you encounter a problem with your phone and we appreciate your feedback. You state that your phone does not ring, it may be caused by your signal strength. GreatCall Service is based on the coverage in your area and even in a good coverage area, there are many factors that may impact service. Things such as, building materials, weather, topography and service may vary significantly while inside buildings. To check your signal on your Jitterbug Flip, scroll until you see Phone Info in the middle, press yes and you will see your battery level and signal strength. At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. If you are still experiencing an issue with your phone, we encourage you to contact us immediately for assistance, 1 800-733-6632.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The most expensive phone I can get does not work where I live, so I thought I’d try something else. A friend told me about Jitterbug and I needed it. However, I can’t get anything on a cellphone where I live, so I use Jitterbug for emergency in my car. I've had it for a year and I’ve used it four times. It’s a backup and I’m very happy with it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 26, 2018

My wife saw some advertisement about Jitterbug and it costs less than some of the other providers so we reached out to them. I’m now on the senior plan for several months. However, the phone doesn’t work well. I can call but the phone doesn’t ring. My wife had called technical support, and a woman worked with the phone. And they were quite helpful. The phone worked for a few days and then it stopped ringing again. Nobody could call me on that thing. It’ll buzz and vibrate if I have it in my pocket. But I don’t have a lot of faith in the phone now. And I would tell people if they ask me about my phone, I’d say, “Yeah. Mine doesn’t ring.”

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Daniel, if your phone is vibrating and not ringing, it sounds as if the ringer volume has been set to vibrate. There are 5 ringer volume settings, Max, High, Medium, Low and Vibrate. The volume buttons are on the right side of the phone and you would adjust the volume with phone open and when not engaged in a call. At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. If you are still experiencing an issue with your ringer, we encourage you to contact us immediately for assistance, 1 800-733-6632.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My husband got a Jitterbug phone last year. He never used a phone because he doesn't know how to use one, but the Jitterbug, he can because it's simple to use. It has a big screen and he understands how to use it. It also takes really good pictures. On the other hand, we can't hear the phone when it rings and sometimes, it doesn't ring and the only way he knows that there is a call is if it lights up.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Sandra, the Jitterbug Flip has 4 ringer settings, low, medium, high and max as well as vibrate. To raise or lower the ringer, with the phone open and not engaged in a call, press the volume button on the middle right side of the phone. Pressing the top will raise the volume and the bottom will lower it, you will also see on the display screen what level you are at. This button also raises or lowers the call volume when you are engaged in a call. For assistance, please call our friendly, 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, 7 days a week, from 5am – 8pm Pacific Time.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I liked the set-up of the Jitterbug phone for my age and interest. I didn't want anything too big or too small and it was down the middle. Also, it's simple. However, there were some glitches with it that I didn't get, and I also had a problem where I had to call them up. Now I understand that when you open the phone up, you won't necessarily be able to use it. Also pushing the 'on' button was the one thing I had to get used to.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2018

I heard about Jitterbug from some friends and it turned out to be so different. The numbers come up big and clear. You could see it.. You gotta hit it to make a little number. But I don’t use it a lot because right now it’s hard to put some numbers in there. You have to go so far to get some numbers right. They don’t show up right. It’s difficult to record. But when you message, it’s just different from the other phone because when you dial that number it will stay on the phone. With Jitterbug if you call on a different phone, it just kind of stores the number in until it goes away. It doesn’t store it unless you put it in yourself.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Richard, the Jitterbug Flip phone will hold 200 contacts, you do have to manually enter them either on the phone or via mygreatcall.com. For assistance, please call our friendly, 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, 7 days a week, from 5am – 8pm Pacific Time.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I'm 94 and I needed an emergency instrument. I've seen Jitterbug's advertisements and it seemed to fit our needs. Since I'm legally blind, I like that it has a big keyboard. You can also get an operator 24/7 and they can get anybody in the United States for you. It’s not hard to carry as well, even outdoors. Jitterbug is good for older people.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I wanted to be able to text my deaf grandson and so I got a Jitterbug after seeing it on an AARP publication. While I am able to text my grandson now, I don’t use it that often. And the Jitterbug team are very helpful anytime I call for help. I also tell friends who ask to go ahead and get it.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My daughter got the Jitterbug for me and I like it very much. I'm not a phone person and I just use the Jitterbug when I need it. But I enjoy it.

Original review: May 14, 2018

The Jitterbug looked like it was really easy to use and it fit what my needs were. When I ordered the phone, I talked to their rep and the interaction was fine. It would be nice if they rolled the full unused minutes over. But it is what it is and they were upfront that only so many per month would roll over. Jitterbug is a nice way to go for a phone that just does phoning and texting.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I had a different phone company and an alert necklace and it was hard to keep up with that. A friend of mine has a Jitterbug and if I got it too then the alert is on there. I like the Jitterbug and the letters are big for me. It’s real convenient and I've told friends that it is good. In fact, I’m supposed to show it to two different people on Sunday as they wanna get one.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My daughter told me about Jitterbug. I wanted a phone where I can just call my people when I'm on the road so I won't be going back and forth. I used it rarely until I don't even know I got one. After my daughter has set the phone, she taught me how to use it. I try to save my minutes and tell Jitterbug to go on and check it. I also take the phone with me because if I'm on the road I want my phone working. I enjoy the phone and I feel good having it. I don't know how long I can afford it but I hope I can keep it for a long time. The reps from Jitterbug were so nice really nice as well as the lady who walked me through the phone. My friend also wanted a phone so I'd give her some papers that I have. I have also told others about my phone because they have seen mine and they like the color of it. Overall, it's really nice to have if you can afford it and I'm glad I got it.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My husband, John, is gonna be 88 years old next month. He carries his Jitterbug phone with him in case he needs AAA or 911. I don't think he even uses it, but it gives him confidence. His phone does its purpose and he's happy with it. The customer service reps are wonderful. When my husband set the thing up, it went through our Fred Meyer account and it's with Mastercard, and I was afraid that they would get changed over. I called the Jitterbug number and the rep was a nice gentleman who talked to us. Our interaction with him was fine and the process went as smoothly as silk because we're on auto-pay.

I'm with AT&T and I've only used a fourth of my phone data, and I thought about getting Jitterbug. But I really enjoy using Facebook on my AT&T phone and I don't think I can get it on Jitterbug. But other than that, we're as happy as a clam with Jitterbug. Our experience with Jitterbug, in getting the phone and the directions that are with it, has been excellent. John chooses what he wants to do with his phone and that's fine.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My husband and I use the Jitterbug when we're both traveling in different cars or when he leaves. We had an occasion where I was driving the car and he had the truck and trailer, and we needed to be in contact with each other but we couldn't do that because he didn't have a phone for traveling. We need the cellphone when we travel. The Jitterbug was cheap, it works fine and he likes it. I like the phone too because it's easy for him to use and he can hear it. It's perfect for him.

Original review: May 6, 2018

We were having trouble with our other phone and I wanted something simple that we could use for emergencies. I like to carry our Jitterbug with us when we are out in the car and use it occasionally for long distance calls and so far, it seems fine. If a friend wants the same thing that I wanted, I would tell them the Jitterbug is a good way to go.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall expert review by Shelley Webb

The Jitterbug Flip from GreatCall is a flip phone that is easy for anyone to use. It has bigger buttons, a louder speaker and a brighter screen than traditional cell phones, and consumers can add health and safety features for a minimal cost.

• Built-in camera: The Jitterbug Flip has a built-in camera with flash, allowing you to take pictures anytime you want. Store over 1,000 photos on your phone.

• Phones made for aging adults: The Jitterbug Flip is specifically designed for aging adults, with features such as large buttons, large on-screen display, built-in health and safety features, powerful speakers, a personal operator, weekly or daily check-in calls, brain games and more.

• Wide availability: Find a Jitterbug flip at major retailers, including Walmart, BestBuy, RiteAid, Sears and Amazon. Search for your local retailer on GreatCall’s website, or shop online.

• Caregiver solutions: Caregivers can find peace of mind that their loved one is okay by connecting to the GreatCall Link app. If your loved one does need to call 5Star for help, you will be sent an alert with a view of their exact location, making it easy to be available when they need you.

• No annual contracts: You never sign up for a contract when you join a GreatCall plan with your Jitterbug flip, so you won’t need to worry about early termination fees or fees for changing your plan.

• Range of plans: Choose the best plan for your needs, and adjust as you go. Health and safety plans start at just $19.99 per month and include talk and text in addition to a variety of additional features.

• Best for: Caregivers and aging adults living alone.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information