4.12/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Jitterbug Flip

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

934 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

After 17 years with Jitterbug they refuse to transfer my Dad's number to the new Flip phone from the old Jitterbug J phone. He has cognitive impairment and just switching from the J to the Flip is causing problems. They are very vague about the reasons they can't other than it has something to do with not mixing pre and post providers after the switch exclusively to Verizon in 2009. I feel this is completely contrary to the FCC number portability regulations and will lodge a complaint them and California department of consumer affairs as well. I've since applied to port the number out of Jitterbug all together to a new carrier thinking it may be an internal policy or agreement between Jitterbug and its old carriers. It's been 4 days now and the process hasn't failed but it hasn't gone through either.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My mother doesn’t use her Jitterbug a lot but it’s very easy to use and I appreciate it being so simplified for her and even for myself. If something happens to her I may go with that. It has big buttons and big numbers. She has some memory issues and the other phones are just too irritating and aggravating. When we first signed up with Jitterbug, the reps were very helpful. We didn’t have to wait long to get it. We were quite satisfied and I already have recommended it to a couple of friends.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Since purchasing this flip phone for my mom (2017) it has never worked accurately. I have tried calling customer service to resolve. I don't live near my parents so the only way they can resolve any issue is if you are with the phone. I have Great Call Link app on my iPhone to be made aware of her whereabouts etc. The info is never accurate. I have verified several times with my mom. Even when I'm with her and her Jitterbug, it sends incorrect info to my phone of our location, times. etc. Today's episode was the most horrible.Yesterday her phone once again wasn't working. Numbers were not working it just seemed jammed period. I pressed the 5star button to see if that at least worked. After pressing several times, it responded with an automated voice then put me on hold. OMG Thank goodness there wasn't an actual emergency.

After waiting for a minute or two I hung up. Went home shortly after. 24 hours later I received a call from 5star that my mother had just called and they were not able to reach her after trying her phone, and house phone. I called her immediately on her house phone and reached her. She had not touched her phone all day. It was on its charger. That means that they responded 24 hours later to an emergency call. I was so upset. I called customer service with this alarming information. All they had to say is, "We cannot do anything for you unless you're next to the phone so we can do some troubleshooting."

Troubleshooting a phone 24 hours later would not save my mother if it had been an actual emergency. They had no other solution. What if I was out of state? My Mom can barely answer the phone nevermind troubleshooting with a cust. rep. This company should be investigated for sending fraudulent info to Great Calls app and not taking this incredible incident more seriously.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I've been with Great Call for about 2 years. I lost my voicemail a few days ago. I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to resolve the problem. I got absolutely nowhere and was left with a promise of up to 10 days waiting for tech support. This is not acceptable and they do not seem to care.

UPDATED ON 09/29/2017: I have had problems with my jitterbug cellphone. I tried to resolve it and got absolutely nowhere. Finally I got to tech support myself. I'm waiting for a new phone. I was responding to a response from GREAT CALL. I was writing a response to them. I praised tech support and criticized their company in general. The response disappeared. Their service is good. Their customer support stinks. The first day I reported my problem = 2 1/2 hours speaking to 5 different people. And nothing got done. Think a lot before you get one of their phones.

Jitterbug Flip response

Tom, we are sorry to hear about your voicemail issues and we appreciate your feedback. We do see that we are sending you a pre-activated phone with free expedited shipping and you should see the phone either tomorrow, Friday 9/29/17 or Saturday 9/30/17. When you receive the phone it will be ready to use. Please power it on and plug it into the charger until it says it is completely charged.

At GreatCall, we strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to assist you. From technical support professionals to customer service representatives, we are ready to assist any subscriber that encounters an issue and we encourage them to contact us immediately for assistance.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Called today to cancel my subscription. A $30 turned into a $67 bill. I was charged a few days ago. I called today September 14th to cancel. Told by Bianca that I would not get reimbursed for the services not used! This is a real scam. If you stop a service you do not get charged for it. Not the way it has always been.

Jitterbug Flip response

Elvia, we were sorry to hear about your experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available and will always take the time to understand each individual subscriber’s needs and usage requirements. If you do go over on your minutes, GreatCall will send a usage notification to the cell phone for an opportunity to make the necessary change to your plan. We thank you for taking the time to speak to us today and hope you will consider continuing your service with GreatCall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I love my Jitterbug phone which was given to me by my kids for Christmas. I had a different one before but Jitterbug is 100% better. Their customer service answered very well when I had a couple of questions before and it’s easier to get in contact with people because I do carry it in my pocket. The calling is easier, even though it doesn’t have caller ID, which I’d like for telemarketers. But other than that, I’m completely satisfied with it. It’s great and it's convenient.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I like the big numbers and flip phones so I got Jitterbug. I had a flat phone for a while but I didn't like it because it would dial numbers and do different and I have a fat finger. I had to start all over again and it was frustrating. However, Jitterbug phone doesn’t hold a charge for very long and I’m not even using it. I just have it on and when I turn it off, it takes so long to come up. I might change it to one that's not GreatCalls because they charge me $34.65 a month, but I hardly ever use it. I only use it when I go out and it's not even my primary phone. Also, I don't have any way to get ahold of Jitterbug themselves and I've always gone through GreatCalls. The phone is all right to me, but my son keeps saying, "It's a stupid phone you've got." and he blames it always on my phone. It could be his phone too, but he's got a smartphone and it's more expensive than mine.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

A friend of mine had spoken about Jitterbug and then I saw it in a VFW magazine. I had an iPhone but I didn't need it. I just needed the phone in case somebody wants to get in touch with me about something or for phone calls. I'm 86 years old. I only use a computer at night to get messages. However, I find Jitterbug Flip easy to use and I carry it along. We used to go away in the summer and that's when I use it but we haven't gone away lately so I don't use the minimum amount of minutes that I'm allowed. Payment is perfect. It's not a lot and it doesn't eat me up. I just mail the money in and that's all. They have good staff too. Everybody was very helpful with me to get over any problem I might encounter. They run me through whatever every once in a while when I talk to them like when it doesn't recharge properly. It has been very economical and it has everything that I need.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I've heard about Jitterbug and I've been looking for one. I used to have AT&T, but Jitterbug is easier to use and has bigger numbers, too. All in all, I understand it better and it's more convenient for me. I'm on the road a lot and I have fewer worries. I'd recommend Jitterbug. It makes life easier for me.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

My Aunt Cathy is rather old and she needed a phone that provided some simplicity that she could depend on and one she could monitor. She got the Jitterbug for its cost, convenience, mobility, flexibility and security. The service is going very well at this point and Jitterbug has done everything that they said they would do. They send me a paper bill every month so I’m able to monitor that aspect because Cathy has the phone and she’s three hours away. Overall, it’s a positive experience and I would recommend Jitterbug.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I had a Jitterbug a long time ago when they started out. I had it for a while and gave it up. Then, I went back to it because it’s simple, has big letters and I can read it. It's easy for me to use because I’m 79 and all these fancy things with the internet are too much. I want to make a phone call and not play games or get on the internet. I’m very independent and not one of those people who have phones in their hands every time they’re sitting around doing nothing. I use the Jitterbug to call my kids and the latest one I got is the fold-up phone which is nice. It’s very good and I like it. I was also with a TracFone for a little while but I didn’t like the idea of having to go to the store to get the card every time I ran out of minutes. Jitterbug is handier since it’s billed once a month.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I was having problems with my other phone. Aside from my friend having a Jitterbug Flip, I’ve seen them advertised in magazines, so when my daughter said that she would get me this for Christmas, I jumped on it. I like it, I really do. Once in awhile, I call to reboot it and they explain to me what to do if I ever have problems. Having arthritis, I had a hard time with my old phone's buttons. I like Jitterbug's big buttons though. I also don’t have problems adding and taking out numbers from my phone book. I used to forget to charge my old phone so my battery was running down most of the time. With this, I have the port on my desk and I just set the phone in the port to charge every night.

Cause they have it on the bottom, I have to be careful with accidentally hitting the 5Star or Urgent Care buttons with my thumb when I open the phone. They were very nice and made sure everything was alright when that happened. The last time I closed the phone and they called my daughter. And they said that I had cancelled the 5Star and they were concerned about when it happened. And I said, "I'm so sorry I didn't even realize I had done that." I opened the phone to see if I have any calls and I went to close it and when I did, I must have accidentally hit the 5Star button. That was surprising. When I explained to her what I've done, the rep was very nice about it.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I saw Jitterbug Flip in advertisements and it looked like something that we could use. Their reps were friendly and helpful when we had it set up. However, we don't use the phone very often because we don't have good service in our house. My husband also doesn't take it to work because he can't use it there either. We have to be away from home to use it. Sometimes we take it with us when we go shopping or traveling.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I like the looks and the big numbers of the Jitterbug phone. I had a different cellphone with Verizon before and I liked it better but the Jitterbug is easier to use.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Before the iPhone I have, I had a Jitterbug phone many years ago. It was my first cellphone. Then when my husband’s vision deteriorated, I knew that the Jitterbug phone was a good phone for him. However, he can't see the keypad well enough that sometimes his thumb hits the alert button and the Jitterbug team has always called and been very kind about forgiving him for accidentally pushing it.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

We have a grandson that works at Best Buy and it’s through him that we heard about Jitterbug. Bryce was the one that got it but I’m the one that carries it around most of the time. I carry it with me for emergencies more than anything. We have a landline and when I'm at home I don't use it. But I like the Jitterbug for when I leave the house because I'm a heart patient and it's a comfort to know that I got it in my purse in case anything happened. When I need to ask a question, I either call my sister to get the answer or call home, if Bryce is there. The Jitterbug is real convenient and I don’t have to try and figure out how to get a hold of somebody if I'm away from home.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I heard about Jitterbug through the AARP selection and got myself one when I needed a phone. I found some biological family members who were from a long distance and I didn't want to use my neighbor's phone. I also felt more confident having it when leaving my home and I’ve recommended them.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I wanted a small flip phone as opposed to a smart phone so I got a Jitterbug Flip. I have a landline and I carry the Jitterbug in case of emergencies. However, my biggest concern with the phone is that when I turn it on, it takes at least a minute before I can use it and that is really inconvenient. You don't just push a button and get to use your phone. Because of that, I hardly ever use it. I've only used it three times since December. It's a frustrating experience with Jitterbug.

Jitterbug Flip response

Judie, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Flip phone and we appreciate your feedback. A slow response can be caused by the signal strength in your area. You can check the signal by scrolling to Phone Info and pressing yes, the screen will then show your phone number, the battery and signal strength. Additionally, if you have not done so already, you can call GreatCall’s 100% U.S. based Customer Service to be ensure the phone is working properly.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

We have recently purchased a Jitterbug flip phone for my elderly father who lives in another state. I have had the occasion to consult customer service three times in the past two days for assistance and on two of the calls I have had to deal with agents who seemed to have issues actually explaining to me how to handle the issues I was encountering, to the point that, when I put a direct question to one woman, all she wanted to do was perform the function remotely rather than explain what needed to be done should my father run into the same problem. T

hree times I asked her DIRECTLY to explain to me what needed to be done and she just kept telling me that she had taken care of it on her end. She got huffy with me and didn't seem to understand that I WAS THE CUSTOMER and that she was supposed to be providing me with SERVICE, not copping attitude. The agents don't seem to listen when you tell them what your issue is and end up asking questions to which you have already provided the answer when they initially picked up the call.

Today the agent seemed to have some problem with her headset or phone as her voice kept cutting out. My call today was to address the fact that all of the entries I had made to this phone yesterday weren't appearing 20 hours later. The agent said that the phone needed to be "refreshed" and that is when the contretemps began. I asked her simply how that was done and she seemed unwilling to tell me how to do it. She did it for me but I wanted to know how my father could do it on his own if he needed to.

Three times I asked and three times got attitude. The same attitude surfaced when I asked why it took 2-4 hours for numbers to be refreshed. Bottom line, she didn't know the answer but was too embarrassed to say so. I should have known this call was not going to go well when she put me on hold for "a brief hold" early in the call - the "brief hold" turned out to be 5 minutes long. I do not hold out much hope for this relationship going forward.

Jitterbug Flip response

Janet-marie, GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available, we monitor our calls for quality and assurance and we appreciate your feedback. We were not able to locate an account with your information, but we can let you know that some items are refreshed by updating the software which is done by the GreatCall agent. These updates generally happen right away, however, they may take longer depending on the signal strength in an area and may be affected by things such as weather, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

My wife's old phone was a flip phone and it's getting hard to charge because the battery is wearing out. She was really interested in a smartphone and I saw Jitterbug which is designed for older people so wanted to give it a try. The phone arrived very quickly and the lady who initially set the Jitterbug up was very efficient and helpful. She obviously has done it before. She went through the process very smoothly and answered all my questions that we had because we wanted to save the old number and she explained exactly what I needed to do. I just had to do the process one-time and I was impressed with that. The Jitterbug is the same as it was advertised and I like the large screen and the larger numbers. I got the 5Star feature and it's nice to know that it's available for my wife. We also got a good and clear signal with it. Overall, we're very happy with the Jitterbug phone and the buying experience.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I’m a senior citizen and I wanted a phone to use just to call out and receive calls. I had a phone before that was a waste of time and money because it was too expensive and had too many features that I never used. Jitterbug Flip worked out perfectly for me and my experience with it has been exceptional. It's exactly what I needed for my age and it’s everything that I was looking for. It’s very easy to use, too. I purchased it, turned it on, and it set itself up. I can also see the numbers perfectly and I don’t have to put my glasses on or squint my eyes. I've recommended it to my friends and several of them have bought one.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I’m almost 70 years old and it looked like a good idea to get a Jitterbug. It’s got nice big numbers on it and when the day comes I need it for an emergency I can have it activated. I had a cell phone before having my Jitterbug and we usually use it for emergencies. It was a small one and it’s hard to use. The numbers were also small and it’s not senior-friendly. I use my Jitterbug quite a bit more. I love the little camera feature on it and learned how to use that. I'm very happy with my Jitterbug. It’s great and convenient to have. It’s fantastic for older people, the price is right and I would highly recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I needed a plain phone, one that didn't have all the other things on it, as well as the cheapest. I was previously with Verizon but it cost more so I switched to Jitterbug and I wanted to try it. I use Jitterbug Flip for emergencies when I’m away from home. So far, it serves my purpose. It works good and it provides all I need.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I thought Jitterbug would be a good phone for my husband. But the ringer on the phone does not seem like it's loud enough. Also, we don’t have messaging on there but we’re charged for two messages. Everybody else has free texting but Jitterbug doesn't. I thought the price would be cheaper, but it wasn’t. Compared to what I had before which is at 100%, Jitterbug is at zero.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I bought a Jitterbug Flip phone for my sister. I contacted GreatCall to set up the phone and subscribe to their service. What was advertised as a plan for $14.99 per month turned out to cost $35 a month with taxes and fees. My sister could not afford that along with her landline, so she gave up her landline. She had trouble with the phone almost immediately. We called GreatCall several times. They always had us try the same troubleshooting steps, and sometimes they seemed to work for a while and then she would start to have trouble with the charge not lasting, the buttons not working.

Having dropped calls on and on. Several times the company reps told us that there were updates that should have taken place automatically, but that since that hadn't happened they would complete the updates remotely. This sort of thing went on each time we called. We were being patient, since it was the only phone she had and we just wanted it to work. However, the problems continued. Quite often, the phone did not ring when I called to check on my elderly sister who has very poor balance and I was always afraid she might fall –– one of the reasons we wanted her to have the 5-star feature. When I couldn't reach her, I would have to travel to her house to check on her.

It was frustrating for both of us. Finally, even though the warranty had run out. I called to say that since the phone had not worked from the beginning, that I thought they should replace the phone free of charge. The representative acknowledged that he could see that we had called a number of times, but he launched into a series of things that might be wrong, other than the phone or the service. He said that it was probably how we plugged it in, that our electrical system might need updating, that she lives in a remote area, that she must have dropped the phone, that she must not be touching the keys in the center, that she must have spilled something on the keys, that she might have to stand closer to a window, or go outside to use the phone, that she had left it on the charger too long or not long enough, and on and on, getting ever more ridiculous, but none acknowledging that the phone or service might be at fault.

He claimed they test every phone and it could not possibly the problem. He even said that we had to realize that this is a 3-G phone and we are living in a 4-G world. And what we needed to do was to upgrade. I Finally hung up in disgust and went right out and bought a different phone and signed up for a different service where I can actually bring the phone in and have a knowledgeable person see for themselves what any problem might be. I would not recommend either the Jitterbug or GreatCall to anyone. They probably have many satisfied customers, but they do not treat those who are not happy with respect or make a reasonable effort to actually solve problems.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I've known about Jitterbug from a long time ago but I thought you had to be in a hardship type life in order to get it. I thought I wasn’t eligible for it to a certain point. It wasn’t until after my daughter did the research on it that she said that was not true. , “No mother. That is not true.” The mother of my daughter's friend who is a little bit older than I am, has Jitterbug and she uses it all the time. My daughter ordered one for me and she said that it makes her feel secure that I have it. It’s for an emergency if need be.

I have this pendant that you wear in case you fall down the stairs or something happens at home. I felt secure with it because it was with me all the time. I have it with me always for an emergency but I also have a land phone and I like that at home. I told my daughter I could give up the pendant but she wanted me to have them both. I’m very pleased to have the Jitterbug and a person that I know has it too.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We read about Jitterbug in a magazine and since my wife has problems hearing, it’s a good way to go because they advertised that it was hearing aid compatible. We tried it and it works well for us. We’ve got a contract on a cell phone right now that we need to run out and when it does, we may buy another Jitterbug for me. She was on a cell phone with Verizon but she couldn’t operate it. It didn’t work with her ears so, she let her daughter take that one. The Jitterbug works better and has a simpler operation. Now that she has the Jitterbug, she can answer the phone when it rings. She kinda complained at home because she has cancer, she can’t walk, she’s on oxygen and she’s got diabetes and all kinds of things. And she really enjoys being able to talk to people. With her Jitterbug, she can. So, we’re all excited for her.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

My Jitterbug is working beautifully. I had other cell phones before but they didn’t last so finally I decided to get a Jitterbug. It sounded good and it’s for older people and that’s what I am. When I called Jitterbug, whoever I spoke to was very nice and took a lot of time with me because I’m not good with these and I’m still in the last century. The person explained everything very well and I really appreciate it and I could call back if I had any questions. Their customer service was very good and it’s the best one. I can now communicate and I like that they could program in six numbers for me. I don’t know how to program in and I had somebody else helping me for a while but Jitterbug said they can do that because it's part of the service. I thought that was wonderful and I’m hoping this thing will last for the rest of my life.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Jitterbug Flip was the first mobile phone that I've used. I needed to carry one with me when I’m out. So far, the phone is charging. I haven't run into any issues and it's working fine. It is also easy to carry it around when I don't forget to take it with me.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I recently got the Jitterbug Flip after having the older model. I changed to the flip phone about three months ago. I have called the customer service three times with no real satisfaction. The problems: It can takes several minutes to light and get a menu. I lose calls as the phone does not ring but messages are sent. The strength goes from fair to good in the same room after just a few minutes. The phone rings when I have turned off jingle and put the volume on vibrator. I have received information on how to work with these issues, but it changes nothing. Just tonight, I was told that NYC has tall buildings, and the phone calls may be lost. Ridiculous answer as the old phone worked perfectly. I requested a new phone, but I was told that I could not get one and I was not able to speak with customer service. Tonight the service worker was very snippy. This is my first time with such type of service. I have been a customer since 2011.

Jitterbug Flip response

Wilhelmina, we are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate your feedback. We do show that we were able to connect with you and resolve your issue. Please contact our Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 7pm Pacific Time, Monday – Saturday if we can be of further assistance.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information