4.25/5
Based on 257 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Video
Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 13, 2018

1030 Jitterbug Flip Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Deceptive practice. Do not get phone. Had one month. Trying to withdraw 235 dollars from elderly account. Did not explain all charges and no phone should be that high. Will call Better Business Bureau about this company that is ripping off the elderly.

Jitterbug Flip response

Debra, we appreciate your feedback. A review of the account in question shows that the fees were for usage. GreatCall will always take the time to understand each individual subscriber’s needs and usage requirements before we recommend a service plan. We provide usage notifications to inform our users of any potential overage charges and request a call to Customer Service so we can recommend a higher rate plan to absorb any overages fees.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I've had the flip phone for almost a year now and it has worked great up until two months ago. Now the phone has static sometimes, the voice breaks up and the caller on the other end can't hear me. I can hear them for they can't hear me. Anyone having these same unpleasant experiences?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I wanted a simple smartphone for my husband. From the very beginning this phone was difficult to use. At first I thought it was user error but it was not. Sometimes the phone would ring and no matter what happened you could not answer it. It was very frustrating to my husband. It could take hours before he received a text message I sent. Customer Service was helpful but every time we turned around there was another problem. I finally bought a Samsung smartphone and he is very happy with it and is not frustrated at all. The service can get expensive if you use data.

Jitterbug Flip response

Pammiesue, we are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Jitterbug Smart phone and we appreciate your feedback. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits. GreatCall designed the easy to use menu to help customers become acclimated with the use of a smartphone. There are 17 how to videos on the GreatCall web page to assist in using the phone and GreatCall’s 100% US based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, is available, between the hours of 6am and 7pm Pacific Time, Monday – Saturday to answer any questions.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We got our 92 year old Mom the Flip phone because of the big numbers. The phone has nice features but we have had lots of issues. The 1st one they had to keep “updating” and we had to keep taking out the battery. It froze up, wouldn’t ring, bad sound, hard to hear, just about everything. I call. They are sending a new one BUT if they don’t find a problem with the old one (less than a week old) we will get charged for the new one! What??? Why would I send a phone back that worked? Got the new one and it looks like it will work. Mom call me and I can’t hear her. Really? Now we have another one being sent out. Customer service was pretty short with me today when I was just trying to ask questions to see if we were doing something wrong. Mom does like the phone or I would have been done with this.

Jitterbug Flip response

Cyndi, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty. If the product should fail within the first-year due to a manufacturing defect, the product would be replaced. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My mom is living with us now and she needed to have a reliable phone that was easy to read and not complicated, and just something she felt comfortable with. Jitterbug came right into mind after watching their commercial. When we were having a little problem getting the phone set up, the team was patient and wonderful. They told us to remove the battery and to try it and it worked. And not so long ago, I had to call and request a reduction in the minutes that my mom had. We got 600 minutes and there was no way she could use that. In order to make it more cost-efficient the customer service, right on the spot, made the changes and they gave me the information I needed, money wise.

Jitterbug has made such a difference giving us all the peace of mind. And having the emergency button on the phone really makes a difference. My mom can hit that if necessary. We are able to go out and not have to worry about anything so they've made life a lot easier. There is a sense of being able to reach out and communicate with people, 100%. If anybody is looking for the type of phone that's easy to use and to look at then the Jitterbug would be the way to go. The payments are very reasonable too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The Jitterbug Flip looked easy to use. Even I figured out how to use it and I never had a cellphone before. The only thing I don’t like is I don’t have a case to put it in. Everything I see in the phone store is for iPhone type things or flat things. Other than that, I'm having a wonderful experience with my Jitterbug Flip.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello John, you mentioned you are interested in a case for your Jitterbug Flip. Please call GreatCall Customer Service at, 1 800-733-6632 between 6am to 7pm, Monday – Saturday, Pacific Time, to ask about available accessories.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

When I looked on the computer for a flip phone, there was a Black Friday sale where things were at half the price so I bought a Jitterbug. I followed the directions in the book and the one on my computer when I set it up. I can put all my contact people on my phone using the computer and it really works well. I take the phone with me when I’m traveling somewhere for instances like if I have a car trouble and need to call somebody or if I’m down on the road and I need to talk to somebody. I have a cordless phone at home and my kids call that but if they have to get a hold of me and I don’t answer, they call me on my cell phone.

Considering what the Jitterbug is and comparing it to the smartphones, it was nowhere close but I get what I’m paying for and it's all I need. And Jitterbug is by far superior to several other phones I’ve looked at. Some of my friends have flip phones, some are older ones. They are the little bitty things that you can hardly read and you can’t hear them. They’re nothing anywhere close to the Jitterbug that's easy to use and self-explanatory. With a little bit of experimenting, you can get it figured out.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

The text messages were too small on the phone I had, and I couldn't read them. I got a Jitterbug phone and I’ve been using it for three months now. The messages are much easier to read and the general operation of the phone is good.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My sister-in-law had Jitterbug Flip and I liked it so I contacted Jitterbug. Their representatives were fine and all interactions with them went very well. The phone is very easy to use and it's just what I need. If they ask I'll tell my friends that Jitterbug is the phone that does basic things, for calling or texting without paying for a lot of all the added extras of other phones.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Jitterbug is cheaper than my previous provider and the phone is fairly easy to use. It works fine, and I'm satisfied with it.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I got the Jitterbug Flip because I liked how it looked. It's smooth up and I like how the numbers on it are so big. But I don't like that I have to bend the phone during a call so people can hear me since it's too long for my face. And my arm gets tired if I have a long conversation. But their customer service has been fine and their reps were professional and courteous.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My daughter sent me the Jitterbug phone. It is handier and easier to use than the regular phone we have at home. Also, when I go out, it’s easier to hear.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

In general I'm satisfied with the Jitterbug, BUT one big, big flaw is that the "speed dial #" given to each entry in the phone book as you enter, then changes to another when one then makes a deletion elsewhere in the phone book. VERY BAD for those of us seniors who rely on speed dial to make immediate contact with someone when in an emergency situation.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Milton, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. If you have not done so already, we recommend that you call our 100% U.S. based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 7pm Pacific Time, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

My mother-in-law is in a nursing home and she needed something that was easy to dial and that she could see. We like how loud the volume gets and the big buttons with Jitterbug. The customer service reps have been a lot of help too. They have been professional, friendly and courteous. It has been an awesome experience overall.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My experience with Jitterbug is fine. The phone is nice if you need big buttons. It makes it easier to read. However, I wish the phonebook was in alphabetical order. The order the contacts are in is however you put it in and I don’t like that at all.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Pat, by pressing 0 and yes on your Jitterbug Flip, you will connect to Operator Services. Operator Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please ask an operator to arrange your contacts in alphabetical order. Or by setting up your GreatCall account online you can also arrange your contacts to your liking.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I wanted something to take with me in the car when I go somewhere so that if anything happens, I can have a phone. My daughter did all the purchasing online and the Jitterbug phone was mailed to me. In case I fall, I have the device. The one feature I really like is that it has a stand that I can plug it in and it’s plugged in all the time. I’m satisfied with it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Jitterbug Flip is a good phone and I like it. My wife gave it to me and I've had it for a year now. I'm 75 years old and I'm not a computerized person. I couldn't use my previous phone and it was too smart for me. But with Jitterbug, I understand what's going on with it and it's very easy to operate. I also don't have to worry about which button I'm hitting since they're big. Its hearing is not the best but it's better than the previous phone I had. Their customer service has also been good and professional. I've told my friends about how much I like the phone and my wife is planning on getting one when she retires.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

The Jitterbug is a great little phone. I wanted something simple as I just need to connect with the family. If I have an emergency, I can call them or they could call me if there’s an emergency on their side. The alarm goes off when I have it on and somebody wants to call me, the little musical thing comes on. And it’s nice and loud enough that I can hear it. The colors are beautiful and I have the maroon one. The numbers are really bright and big enough for me to see without glasses. The customer service reps are wonderful and they do anything they can to help you. I feel secure with the Jitterbug because I live alone. And my bill stays stable all the time because I don’t text. I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

My sister, Jimmie, needed a phone. She has limited capability, so the simpler the phone, the better. However, with the Jitterbug, we have to usually make the call for her because she can’t figure it out. This morning, I was trying to select a person in her phone book and it was taking a delay. On my phone, I just click and it’s there. I have heard about this problem before and it’s inconvenient. It’s easier for me to use the Jitterbug than for her and sometimes I get frustrated, too. I think it depends on the service. She just needs a basic phone because all she does is call my aunt and my sister and a few other people. It would be so easy if she could just flip it open and have the names listed and she could click on the person she wants. The phone could also have a screen with just the people, like the favorites, because she’s only got five, and then she could just arrow up or down on the screen to the person she wants to talk to. Jitterbug has to make improvements.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Kitty,we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Jitterbug Flip phones have speed dial automatically programmed. The speed dial works directly off of the Phone Book entries. No additional programming is needed. For example: Phone book entry #1 = Speed dial #1, Phone book entry #5 = Speed dial #5. This may be an easier option for your sister to try. Also, Operator Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can transfer your sister to any number in her contacts.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Jitterbug Flip is really easy for me to use. I got it after I got tired of paying high rates for my previous phone. My eyesight is not that great since I'm 82 and I could see this phone better. It also has a better camera. I enjoy taking pictures with it, calling long distance, and using it for emergencies, such as when our power goes out. The only problem I have with it is programming the phone numbers I call most. I'm having a hard time seeing the letters when I put names in. Also, once in a while, it would only have service a few minutes after I open it. But I have recommended it and my grandson has it.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I fall a lot and have all those things around the neck from the health department but sometimes they don't work and I grab the Jitterbug which my daughter bought for me a year ago for Christmas. I just called, told them what happened and they sent the ambulance out. Their reps were very friendly and their phone's easier to see as I'm going blind. It’s my emergency service and would have to use it more. But I can't afford to use it very often and make a lot of long distance calls for they're too expensive. I'm one of the Social Security people and my check doesn't get any bigger but the bills do. But I have kids who help me with things and I've been told that I wouldn't have to pay.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My brother had traumatic brain injury and he's in a nursing home. He needed a phone so he can contact family and also a phone with big button so he can see. I gave him a Jitterbug as a Christmas gift and the service has been great. I used it for about four weeks before I gave it to him and it's very simple for a senior with a problem with eyesight. My brother is not a technical person and it's perfect for him. I showed him how to check it, and balance and check. He's enjoying it.

Before, my brother was borrowing phone from some of his friends in the nursing home when he wanted to call somebody. But he has his own phone now, so he has access to his outside family and he can do what he want to do with it. I called Jitterbug in the beginning and the rep was very helpful for everything that I needed to know. The company is very easy to deal with and the customer service people know their product. Overall, it was a very easy and pleasurable experience.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Some number of years ago, since I was considering getting a cellphone, one of my sons who is more knowledgeable recommended Jitterbug Flip. I use it mostly for emergencies or long distance. Two or three years ago, the phone was stolen out of my automobile, and I reported it and their person canceled that number and so forth. I re-purchased another one and they made it possible to call carry over the existing numbers that I recorded on it, which was helpful. In lieu of my very limited use, however, it would be nice to have a lesser cost. I'm already pretty much at the lowest end of the plans available. But, overall, I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I lost my last phone then I was going on a trip and the kids were always griping that I needed something for emergency. Also, I’m by myself and I used to do quite a bit of hunting so they were concerned I get stuck some place. I got a Jitterbug phone and it takes a while before I can make a phone call as it seems to take a few minutes before coming in service. But I may not be working it right and I don't really use it much. Other than that, it's got bigger buttons and it's better and easier to read than the last one I had.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Richard, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. If you have not done so already, we recommend that you call our 100% U.S. based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 6am and 7pm Pacific Time, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I’m an older person and my daughter got me this Jitterbug last year at Christmas. She thought I could understand it more. My other daughter bought me a more fancier one the year before and I didn’t like it at all. So, I had her take it back. But I love this one when I walk to the mailbox. I have quite a way to walk back and forth, down my basement and up the stairs. I also have the Jitterbug by my bed every night and I feel secure because if I need anything, I got my little phone right there and the numbers of my kids so I could get them right away if I wanted to talk. I enjoy it though I don’t put the maximum minutes on there like other people. I talk to my daughters off and on with it, but I’m not on it steady. I have told so many of my older friends about it.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Our friend had one and she really liked it, so I called. I like the style of the Jitterbug phone - I like the big numbers. It is also easy to operate it. That's why I originally bought it for my husband because he has big fingers as those little cellphones just didn't fit him. He could press two numbers at one time. Its cost is also reasonable too. I have had it for four years already and I like having a cellphone away from home. Customer service is very positive and helpful. They always told me what I needed to know and told me what the prices were because I did upgrade once because the battery was wearing out, so I just upgraded to a newer phone.

It's just odd that Sears does not want to service my phone then when I asked if they could put a new battery in mine. But they told me to call Jitterbug instead. So, I ordered online and got mine in the mail. I also deal with my phone via calling, too. One time, though, I was inside the store and my husband was in the car and he said, "Your phone is ringing. They think you're in trouble." I said, "No, I'm not trouble." So I don't know what happened. Some wires got crossed somewhere. But other than that they are a pretty good company.and I'll stick with them. I have no reason not to. We live in a rural area so we don't have the best cell service out here, but a mile away, I can get good cell service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I’m delighted with Jitterbug. I went with them after a realization that I need to have a phone with me that's relatively simple when I’m out and about. I already had two previous phones that were too complicated and I just left them on the kitchen shelf. I’ve also managed to learn to use the camera which I never used on the other one. I only use it for emergencies as my minutes are very minimal - I've got the most simple plan. I like the knowledge that it’s there if I need it. I go online a couple of times to question things but the manual was very simple and straightforward, so I keep referring to that.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I got a Jitterbug phone for several years, and there was a deal on getting a new phone. I got one and I'm perfectly happy with it. It's still the old flip top phone and I use it for only its most basic uses. It works, I can hear it ringing and I can hear people talking to me, which is a major thing in my life right now. Dialing is easy, too. I don't text though, because it's one thing that's not easy to do on this phone. You have to go through the alphabet in order to get to the letter that you want. It takes forever. But this particular model does what it's supposed to do, and does it efficiently. My concern is losing the phone or breaking it because I don't have a landline. I have the replacement option but that would take at least a week. So if I lose it, I'll be without a phone for a week. That bothers me a little bit because I'm very dependent on it. But the Jitterbug customer service team has always been excellent.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My neighbor showed me a clipping about Jitterbug so I ordered it. While it's cheap, like it's 21 bucks a month, I use it rarely. Seldom do I call my two sons, who live in Seattle and Berkeley who are part of the five people on my list. I do not have a use for it except for a very specific reason and that’s for transportation. I call a company called GoGoGrandparent, which it does the same job as Uber and Lift. As far as how it works, it seems to work fine.

Their representatives were very helpful. They programmed the number into my phone. There had been an error and they corrected it. I haven't asked them to add other names because I just do not use it except to call the travel facility. Other than that, I charge it every three days. I don't know how long I'm supposed to charge it or how often but it seems to work.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I like the phone though I haven't had my Jitterbug that long but it's good. I really didn’t want it to begin with but my son insisted that I have something in the car with me when I go out by myself. I am in a retirement village, so a lot of them have Jitterbug. I hear a lot of good and bad about everything. But I like Jitterbug and I saw they advertised in a couple of the magazines. I get the officer's magazine, my husband was a retired military. I liked the advertisement and it sounded refreshing.

The 5Star helps. When I have the phone in the car and in my handbag, I feel comfortable because of that. I've initially spoke with their reps because it wasn’t charging. She told me that I could keep it on the charger longer. I was only putting it on for a little while. Then I took it out one time and it was not charged. Now, I keep it on the charger. The rep was wonderful. She told me everything that I needed to know and she convinced me that this is what I needed. I have recommended Jitterbug to a number of people here and they’ve already gotten them.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information

Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall
San Diego
1-800-918-8543
www.greatcall.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use