Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

2. Medical Alert Systems

4.1/5 (1156 ratings)
Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

About Lively Flip

Lively Flip is an easy-to-use flip phone designed with older adults in mind. The phone has big buttons and a large screen for easy navigation and dialing. All three health and safety plans include urgent response, which connects the user with a live agent in the event of an emergency. The product comes with a caregiver app and a partnership with Lyft.

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Pros

• Helpful caregiver app
    • Nationwide service
    • Emergency assistance plans

Cons

• No waterproof options
    • $35 activation fee

Bottom Line

The Lively Flip cell phone is for those who want a simple flip phone that can also double as a medical alert device. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to urgent responders.

Top Lively Flip Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased this neat phone after 2 yrs. deciding on it. I am not sorry so far. The customer service is top notch. So far, everything is fine. I will be giving it a good testing w...

Verified

I’ve had several very expensive telephones that I wasn’t able to use because they were too complicated for me, and Jitterbug wasn’t. I only use it when I travel, so it mostly just...

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

What is Lively Flip?

From GreatCall, the makers of Jitterbug, The Lively Flip is a phone designed for older adults. Although it can act as a simple cell phone, the Lively Flip also has an urgent response button that instantly contacts emergency medical services for seniors’ health and safety.

The display is large, so it’s easy to read, and the menu options are easy to understand. Other design touches include big buttons, a powerful speaker, a flashlight app and a magnifying function for those with vision issues.

Available in graphite or red, the Lively Flip phone weighs 4.7 ounces. The device is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall and less than 1 inch thick, with a 3.2-inch internal display and a 1.44-inch external display.

The device has a camera, GPS, Bluetooth, speakerphone capabilities and hearing aid compatibility. Lively Flip specs also include 16 GB of built-in memory storage so you can store hundreds of contacts, dozens of messages and thousands of photos.

Lively Flip phone plans

The Lively Flip comes with affordable talk and text services. Its plans include Basic, Preferred and Ultimate health and safety packages for customers with different lifestyles and activity levels. All health and safety plans include urgent response service.

• Lively Flip Basic: The Lively Flip Basic phone plan is $19.99 per month and includes urgent response and free brain games.
    • Lively Flip Preferred: The Lively Flip Preferred phone plan is $24.99 per month and includes urgent response, free brain games, urgent care service and the GreatCall Link app.
    • Lively Flip Ultimate: The Lively Flip Ultimate phone plan is $34.99 per month and has everything in the Lively Flip Preferred plan but also includes personal operator service.

Lively Flip phone cost

The Lively Flip phone itself can be purchased for $99. Basic talk and text plans are available from $14.99 to $39.99 a month. Lively Flip health and safety plans range in price from $19.99 to $34.99. The Lively Flip also requires a $35 activation fee.

All Lively Flip health and safety packages come with urgent response, and additional features are available in the Preferred and Ultimate health and safety packages.

BasicPreferredUltimate

Basic$19.99
    Preferred$24.99
    Basic$34.99

Lively Flip services

Lively Flip services benefit those who are independent but want peace of mind knowing support is readily available in an emergency. 24/7 professional assistance is an option, and caregivers can easily check on their loved one’s health and wellness without disturbing them. Service plans are customizable to suit a variety of needs.

• Urgent response: The urgent response service helps you feel prepared and protected any time, anywhere. With urgent response, you're immediately connected to trained agents who can help in emergencies 24/7.
    • Urgent care: Users can speak with a real, live nurse and even a board-certified doctor at any time without an appointment. Additionally, you can get prescriptions for common medications over the phone.
    • GreatCall Link app: Caregivers can stay informed about the health and safety of their loved ones on their own smartphone through the downloadable Link app.
    • Personal operator: Unlimited access to a live operator who’s ready to assist you with any relevant information.
    • Brain games: Fun brain games help keep you focused and help improve memory.
    • GreatCall Rides: Partners with Lyft to provide affordable rides for seniors. Users simply press “0” and a live operator helps book a ride.

Lively Flip caregiver tools

With the GreatCall Link app, caregivers know immediately if the Lively device is on and where it’s located. Caregivers are notified when the battery is low so they can remind their loved one to charge their device. The GreatCall Link app also sends notifications for certain actions, such as when the urgent response button is used. You can check in to see if appointments are being kept, if medication has been taken and more.

Lively Flip FAQ

Can I block calls on Lively Flip?
    Yes, you can block calls on Lively Flip.
    How do I change my Lively Flip plan?
    You can change your Lively Flip plan by contacting the company's customer service agents over the phone.
    What is Lively Flip’s return policy?
    You must return the Lively Flip within 30 days to get a refund for the activation fee, first-month service charge and the cost of the device. Keep in mind that shipping charges aren’t refundable and restocking fees may apply.
    What is Lively Flip's cancellation policy?
    You can cancel Lively Flip service at any time, but you will be responsible for charges and overages through the date of final billing.
    Does Lively Flip offer a warranty?
    Yes, Lively Flip comes with a one-year standard limited warranty.
    Does Medicare cover Lively Flip?
    Medicare does not cover Lively Flip phones.
    What is Lively Flip’s average response time?
    Operators immediately respond when you press the urgent response button.
    Where are Lively Flip monitoring centers located?
    Lively Flip monitoring centers have multiple locations, but are all based in the United States.
    Does Lively Flip offer a free trial period?
    No, Lively Flip doesn’t offer a free trial period.
    Are Lively Flip medical alert systems waterproof?
    No, the Lively Flip is not waterproof.
    How much does Lively Flip cost per month?
    Lively Flip starts at $19.99 monthly, but your bill depends on which plan you choose.
    Who makes the Lively Flip phone?
    The San Diego-based company GreatCall designed the Lively Flip phone. It also created the Jitterbug, which was extremely popular with seniors.

Do we recommend Lively Flip?

Yes. Lively Flip is simple to use and affordable, and it has many helpful features that make it a great option for those looking for a no-fuss phone. In addition, those who purchase health and safety plans can summon help in the event of a fall or other emergency, offering an affordable way to provide a medical alert system for a loved one.

Lively Flip has an urgent response button, a personal operator and several other features that help ensure you receive help when you need it. Lively Flip and its creator, GreatCall, create thoughtful and useful features for seniors and caregivers alike, such as the GreatCall Rides feature and the GreatCall Link app. Because this company is well-loved by its users, we recommend Lively Flip to seniors looking for a straightforward and easy-to-use phone.

Lively Flip Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lively Flip?

Original review: April 8, 2021

We recently purchased a Lively flip cell phone for my 94 yr old mother in law (03/2021). The serious problem with this phone is the position of the volume controls - they are on the right side of the phone, on the numbers pad portion (bottom) when the phone is flipped opened. The only possible way to hang on to the phone is to hold it (for most right-handed people) in one's right hand. To answer a call or make a call, one has to push the "OK" button to answer a call, or after pushing buttons to dial someone.

For a senior who is trying to hang on to the cell phone when pushing numbers, they have to have a pretty firm grip on the lower (numbers pad) portion of the phone. That puts the right hand thumb directly over the volume control. What we discovered is that it is very easy for our mom to push the volume control lower button inadvertently, and pretty quickly the ring volume has been turned to "Silent"! Or worse, when talking, the sound of the person talking to her goes way down, so it becomes very hard to hear. That volume control lever/button is definitely in a very poor place!

One solution would be to allow for LOCKING the sound (and basically disabling the volume buttons on the side), or possibly making a "left-handed" phone which might have the volume control on the left side, which might work for a right handed person. My mother in law inadvertently kept turning off the ringer volume with her right thumb so she never heard any incoming calls - very frustrating to her daughters. Ultimately she is not able to always check this volume to make sure it is always up, not on "silent". Admittedly this sounds like an easy problem to solve, and is for most people, but it doesn't work for the elderly.

Original review: April 6, 2021

We have always had a landline, but in Dec. we moved to a small town without phone service. Because we had Spectrum for our phone, TV and internet we went with them for a cell phone. They have over billed us saying it's for WIFI (we don't use WIFI). It's not on. We have called them and they said it was fixed then. But they just billed us again for the service. We do not have a contract, but are paying for the LG5 phone by the month. We need to have this resolved because we can't afford this bill.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I purchased the Lively flip phone for my 90 year old father to replace the jitterbug. I expected the Lively flip phone to offer the features like the jitterbug plus the ability to block spam calls and the name of the person calling would be displayed in the window. Jitterbug phone used to show the name of the caller until a glitch in the software or so I was told. I’ve made multiple calls to see when the software glitch would be resolved. The response was always “they are working on it”. I guess the resolution was to replace with a new phone. Very disappointing since I assume the majority of your customers are elderly.

I’m returning the Lively flip phone because making calls is NOT a simple process. You select > Phone > arrow down to the person you want to call > and then select OK! If you have many contacts, the process is not simple. With the jitterbug, my father used speed dial! Lively does NOT have this feature. I had to pay return shipping plus a restocking fee...UGH I wish I had paid more attention to the other reviewer who stated the process was more steps compared to the jitterbug phone. I hope this review helps someone else avoid the added hassle and expense.

Lively Flip response

Hello Linda, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you have not already done so, please call our Customer Service Team for additional support at 1-800-733-6632.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Purchased for my 91 year old Father so that he can get help if needed. When you open the Phone phone the dial tone is very loud, but once you place a call, the volume drops down so low that it can barely be heard. I tried raising the Speaker Volume with a call in progress, but nothing happens! Since he has significant hearing loss, he can't use it!

Lively Flip response

HellO, we are sorry to hear you have encountered an issue with the Jitterbug Flip phone. Please look for a private message from us so we may gather account information and further assist.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

When I call my elderly Mother on her Jitterbug Flip phone, I cannot hear her answer. I speak to her and ask her to call me back. When I receive the call she initiated I can hear her voice. This is a nuisance because none of her other callers know to do this. Is there something I can do to fix it. She loves the phone for ease of use and knows how to operate it. But this cannot go on! I read a few other reviews on here with the exact same problem. What will you do?

Lively Flip response

Hello Brenda, we are sorry to hear you have encountered an issue with the Jitterbug Flip phone. Please look for a private message from us so we may gather account information and further assist.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

My mother's phone will not keep photos received from text. I called and spoke to them, and was told that there is no work around. I also heard her say that she did not want to deal with this. Disgraceful.

Lively Flip response

Hello Angeleke, we are sorry to hear you encountered a problem with the Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to review this further, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

This is unbelievable and I hope people read this because I care about the older people and I do not want the elderly to get unfair service and get drained out of their money. I had purchased the Jitterbug phone for my elderly uncle who is 91 but still getting by and I thought that it would be a good idea to get him this because it definitely does seem like some of the features like the volume control and the big numbers on the phone would be helpful as this phone does attract the elderly people.

We opened the box together me and my uncle and activated the phone and I immediately noticed that after charging the phone which took almost 4 hours which is not normal that as the phone was charging the phone became really hot and that definitely did cause an alert and a safety alert because I got nervous and it almost felt like putting your hand on a hot tea kettle and you know how you yank your hand away from that hot stinging feeling to get away from the heat and that is how hot that phone got. I went to get a pot holder to rest the Jitterbug Flip phone on because I most definitely did not trust a phone that was getting super hot while charging. I never ever had a phone that got that hot while charging and I most definitely find this jitterbug flip phone to be a safety hazard. This phone is unsafe and you worry about the hazards that this could potentially cause.

Also when my uncle and I did a test call the first thing that my uncle said was that the jitterbug flip phone was a cheap piece of junk and he said he would not want it if it was free. There is no sound quality at all as even my uncle noticed that all you could barely make out was some muffled sound like someone talking while wearing about 20 coronavirus masks all at one time. It is really bad like two 10 year old kids taking two styrofoam cups and putting a hole in the middle of the bottom of the cups and then feeding a cheap piece of string through the holes of the bottom of the styrofoam cups and standing about a foot away from each other playing the game of telephone.

Seriously not only is this phone unsafe with the scorching hot temperatures that this phone can reach but this also is ridiculous in that it appears to look like a kids toy but do not even let your kids play with this phone if you have any or else you and whoever may have to find a new place for housing and if you plug this phone in too long then you may have to call a rescue squad for immediate medical assistance as I find this phone can lead elderly people into danger or worse.

Now for another interesting observation as I checked this phone out and on Google it definitely does say that this jitterbug flip phone is a prepaid service with no contract. I know many people who have prepaid phones but definitely not with jitterbug and the whole concept of prepaid is that you pay before your service starts and that is how prepaid works. If people do not want to continue service with whatever phone company they are with then they simply do not continue contributing any more money and the phone service automatically stops with no more money owed.

All prepaid works like that where if people do not pay upfront for the phone service then the phone company stops charging people and then they walk away quietly and leave people alone. But this clearly is not the case with the Great Call company as my uncle received a past due bill of $75.28 saying that he must send in immediately. WHAT?! Great Call mentioned that my uncle owes that money for some phony overdue past due amount. RIGHT THERE! DING! DING! GOTCHA GREAT CALL!! HA!! Now hold on here a minute as now I have noticed EXACTLY what is going on here. Now right there if anybody is going to say that you have to call to cancel service then that is definitely NOT prepaid with no contract.

Great Call is a skeevy company and here my question is this to Great Call “WHAT ARE PEOPLE CANCELING?!” NO NEED TO CANCEL IF YOU SAY YOU ARE A COMPANY THAT IS PREPAID WITH NO CONTRACT! AHA! This Great Call company has shown who they really are by creating a product such as a phone with features that clearly target the elderly people and then when they don’t pay the Great Call company gets them back by punishing them for not staying with their company. Everyone knows how prepaid works.

Great Call should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of the elderly but they unfortunately could care less. That is absolutely disturbing and unfair that the elderly people are being cheated and lied to and scammed out of their money and sadly enough the elderly people will be scared of these people who say that they owe money and I betcha the Great Call company threatens these poor elderly people by telling them that they will put them in collections if these elderly people do not pay.

That company is that type of people who are controlling and do not give a flip about elderly people being drained out of their money. Now what they wanted from my uncle may not seem like a lot of money but when you really think about it all this Great Call company has to do is consistently scam the elderly people out of their money by charging them phony past due overdue charges and the Great Call company are automatic millionaires. Just think that if they are charging hundreds of thousands of elderly people these phony past due charges then think of how filthy rich the Great Call company is.

Hey people think about this. Can you ever imagine these people who work at the Great Call company doing this kind of scam on the much younger generation like teenagers or young people in their early 20’s or early 30’s or millennials? NEVER would these people who work at the Great Call company would ever try to scam over college students who are studying pre med or engineering or a young person going for a master’s degree at a high end college because the people who work at the Great Call company know that the YOUNG and sharply INTELLIGENT people would have the people who work at the Great Call company arrested and jailed for messing around with phony past due charges if the Great Call ever tried and pulled that game with a much younger audience.

Great Call obviously knew when they first started their skeevy business that they wanted to target an elderly weak wimpy and vulnerable crowd of people for their audience so they tried to come up with a product that would sensationalize the elderly folks. I bet you that when they came up with this horrible phone which is as phony as a 3 dollar bill the Great Call people (excuse me.. more like Bad Call) I bet you they all sat (probably all those stuffy business fraudulent guys with only 2 women out of 25 people) they all sat at a long mahogany wood table and sat for weeks figuring out every which way till Sunday on how to scam the elderly people over with past due charges and I bet you that all those people who work at Great Call were laughing so hard at scamming over the elderly that they could barely speak.

That is their main objective where seriously they have made it more than obvious that they are hoping that the elderly people will forget to pay or just not pay at all so the people who work at the Great Call company can overcharge the elderly bogus past due charges so they can buy their expensive yachts and have a lavishly great time and have steak and lobster and buy homes that are millions of dollars.

All of the money that these poor elderly people are fraudulently being charged for are going to the workers at Great Call so they can have a lavish rich lifestyle. Elderly people do not have money to waste as the people who work at Great Call do not care and they are treating these poor elderly people as if they have either dementia or Alzheimers or both or they feel that these elderly people are slipping in the mind and that the elderly people are falling apart mentally and physically and the people who work at Great Call are hoping that these poor elderly people will never notice that they are being scammed.

What’s really sad is that I bet some of the elderly people who had Great call probably passed away not even knowing that they even had a phony past due bill where a person’s family most probably had to pay Great Call where here an elderly person never owed any money but their remaining family members probably felt that the person who is no longer around owed money when here they did not and never did.

I’m living in a world I don’t understand and I have no idea how that Great Call company gets away with scamming the elderly. I have read these other negative reviews here and I give the thumbs up to all the people who noticed that the Great Call company is nothing but a horrible company who has absolutely no respect for the elderly and for those people who are staying with Great Call I would say that it’s obvious that the people who are staying with the Great Call company are obviously not affected by anything because those people are probably paying religiously and will keep paying them to where they are in a robotic state of just paying the Great Call company and do not care because they have consistently paid them to where they do not notice anything.

Trust me people I can think of a million other things that I rather be doing right now and I definitely did not say to myself that I’m bored so I think I will go put in a complaint about the Great Call company. I am really disgusted in noticing the elderly people getting scammed out of their money by being charged bogus past overdue charges and I want to get the word out that the Great Call company is a skeevy dishonest lying shady and bogus company that by no means should any elderly person get involved with.

If you are reading this and you decide to stay with them then that is fine if you want an unsafe phone with severe overheating issues and then later on you find out that you are suddenly unexpectedly owed some fake past due charge. All I can say right about now is that if you stuck long enough with me to read what I have wrote here then I’d like to say thanks for taking the time to read this as I know it would be time consuming for anybody to read this but I did not know how else to get the word out about the most horrible worst company ever which is the Great Bad Call company. The only thing anyone can say is that I hope that when the people who work at the Great Call company become elderly themselves I hope that some company scams all of them over out of their money telling them that they all have a past due balance of a gazillion dollars. Well it’s like that one saying my grandfather always use to say is “What Goes Around Comes Around”.

Lively Flip response

Hello Mike, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Updated on 10/25/2020: Wished I had read the reviews about Great Call before I purchased the flip phone from Best Buy. It would have saved me well over $200.00 for a two week calling period. I complained about this rip off a few weeks back to Consumer Affairs site and never heard from this co. except Great Call to ask for a phone number so they could reach me via E'Mail..Nothing ever came of that but they just sent me my cancellation bill for $176.00 which is left after the initial amount of somewhere around $40.00 I had already paid...so they already had my info. Keep in mind this bill is for two weeks of my dementia wife calling her daughters across town. They said she called 200 times but in fact I made the calls and they were very few....I do not have Dementia...I actually placed a call to a live person at Great Call and tried to make sure I knew what was covered ....Moral of the story stay away from this co. that's my advice.

Original Review: Purchased this phone thinking it would be simple to use and it was for my wife who has dementia..Anyway signed up on line and also called and talked with a representative of Great Call and thought everything was ok until I got a call saying there was a problem and to call them. This was after having the phone for 2 weeks and using it for local calls only and a couple of texts.

When I called the person informed me we had exceeded our allotted minutes from 100 minutes to 450 or so and that it would cost us $150.00 over and above the $30.00 a month I signed up for. I told the person I thought I had signed up for the alert call which was $5.00 and the phone unlimited which was $20.00. Obviously that was a total screw up...Anyway I said feel free to charge me for your bogus call rate for local calls and cancel the phone....I suggest for anyone thinking about these folks check it out completely and make sure you know what the charges are for each..I did not even see were 100 minutes was listed...Anyway be careful...

Lively Flip response

Hello Larry, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

When I found Jitterbug for my husband I was hoping it would be everything we were looking for. He needed a flip phone because he’s older and has no desire for smartphones. When we received the phone, the device itself was of superb quality. However, it was never a consistent bill, it was always more than what was originally quoted. Add to that, I cancelled the service and hadn’t heard from them in 2 months, when suddenly they took $170 out of my bank account. We are on a fixed budget and that was a hard loss.

I called them and told them I had previously cancelled the plan and was told it wasn’t complete on their end. They never once reached out to tell me about the issue or to inform me it was not cancelled. They did not have my permission to take my money. I explained the situation, told them that I had believed the plan cancelled and that they had taken my grocery money. I was basically told “too bad” and that the plan was now cancelled and we were squared. Except today I received ANOTHER bill for $170 for a flip phone with no plan after being promised I was paid in full. Consumer beware!

Lively Flip response

Hello Mary, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I purchased a Jitterbug Flip phone for my 84 year old mom who has some dementia. Her Verizon phone broke after many years and all the other flip phones under Verizon were too difficult for her to learn. The Jitterbug was easy for her to operate because of the simple options and large print HOWEVER! She got this phone in May 2020 and it worked fine for the most part until mid August. After mid August for no apparent reason the phone went into "NO SERVICE" mode! To this date it's still in "NO SERVICE" mode.

If I take the phone 5 minutes away from our home the service returns??? I am in a typical colonial private home, no aluminum siding, no brick, no metal roof. I did nothing to my home, no construction, no nothing! The phone just stopped working in my immediate area! I called many many times. No one can figure it out, they sent me 2 phones and all have the same issues. I kept telling them it wasn't the phone because it works fine 5 minutes away from my home. Did an upgrade to the network knock out service in my immediate area? All other Verizon and Sprint phones are working fine, only the Jitterbug has "No Service" when will this problem be resolved? I do not have any other option since my mom does not have the mentality to use any other phone. I cannot leave my mom alone without a way for her to contact me. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

Lively Flip response

Hello Maria, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Find a Medical Alert System partner near you.

Lively Flip Company Information