Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

Help me decide

4.1/5 (1161 ratings)
Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

About Lively Flip

Lively Flip is an easy-to-use flip phone designed with older adults in mind. The phone has big buttons and a large screen for easy navigation and dialing. All three health and safety plans include urgent response, which connects the user with a live agent in the event of an emergency. The product comes with a caregiver app and a partnership with Lyft.

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Pros

• Helpful caregiver app
    • Nationwide service
    • Emergency assistance plans

Cons

• No waterproof options
    • $35 activation fee

Bottom Line

The Lively Flip cell phone is for those who want a simple flip phone that can also double as a medical alert device. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to urgent responders.

Top Lively Flip Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased this neat phone after 2 yrs. deciding on it. I am not sorry so far. The customer service is top notch. So far, everything is fine. I will be giving it a good testing w...

Verified

I’ve had several very expensive telephones that I wasn’t able to use because they were too complicated for me, and Jitterbug wasn’t. I only use it when I travel, so it mostly just...

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

What is Lively Flip?

From GreatCall, the makers of Jitterbug, The Lively Flip is a phone designed for older adults. Although it can act as a simple cell phone, the Lively Flip also has an urgent response button that instantly contacts emergency medical services for seniors’ health and safety.

The display is large, so it’s easy to read, and the menu options are easy to understand. Other design touches include big buttons, a powerful speaker, a flashlight app and a magnifying function for those with vision issues.

Available in graphite or red, the Lively Flip phone weighs 4.7 ounces. The device is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall and less than 1 inch thick, with a 3.2-inch internal display and a 1.44-inch external display.

The device has a camera, GPS, Bluetooth, speakerphone capabilities and hearing aid compatibility. Lively Flip specs also include 16 GB of built-in memory storage so you can store hundreds of contacts, dozens of messages and thousands of photos.

Lively Flip phone plans

The Lively Flip comes with affordable talk and text services. Its plans include Basic, Preferred and Ultimate health and safety packages for customers with different lifestyles and activity levels. All health and safety plans include urgent response service.

• Lively Flip Basic: The Lively Flip Basic phone plan is $19.99 per month and includes urgent response and free brain games.
    • Lively Flip Preferred: The Lively Flip Preferred phone plan is $24.99 per month and includes urgent response, free brain games, urgent care service and the GreatCall Link app.
    • Lively Flip Ultimate: The Lively Flip Ultimate phone plan is $34.99 per month and has everything in the Lively Flip Preferred plan but also includes personal operator service.

Lively Flip phone cost

The Lively Flip phone itself can be purchased for $99. Basic talk and text plans are available from $14.99 to $39.99 a month. Lively Flip health and safety plans range in price from $19.99 to $34.99. The Lively Flip also requires a $35 activation fee.

All Lively Flip health and safety packages come with urgent response, and additional features are available in the Preferred and Ultimate health and safety packages.

BasicPreferredUltimate

Basic$19.99
    Preferred$24.99
    Basic$34.99

Lively Flip services

Lively Flip services benefit those who are independent but want peace of mind knowing support is readily available in an emergency. 24/7 professional assistance is an option, and caregivers can easily check on their loved one’s health and wellness without disturbing them. Service plans are customizable to suit a variety of needs.

• Urgent response: The urgent response service helps you feel prepared and protected any time, anywhere. With urgent response, you're immediately connected to trained agents who can help in emergencies 24/7.
    • Urgent care: Users can speak with a real, live nurse and even a board-certified doctor at any time without an appointment. Additionally, you can get prescriptions for common medications over the phone.
    • GreatCall Link app: Caregivers can stay informed about the health and safety of their loved ones on their own smartphone through the downloadable Link app.
    • Personal operator: Unlimited access to a live operator who’s ready to assist you with any relevant information.
    • Brain games: Fun brain games help keep you focused and help improve memory.
    • GreatCall Rides: Partners with Lyft to provide affordable rides for seniors. Users simply press “0” and a live operator helps book a ride.

Lively Flip caregiver tools

With the GreatCall Link app, caregivers know immediately if the Lively device is on and where it’s located. Caregivers are notified when the battery is low so they can remind their loved one to charge their device. The GreatCall Link app also sends notifications for certain actions, such as when the urgent response button is used. You can check in to see if appointments are being kept, if medication has been taken and more.

Lively Flip FAQ

Can I block calls on Lively Flip?
    Yes, you can block calls on Lively Flip.
    How do I change my Lively Flip plan?
    You can change your Lively Flip plan by contacting the company's customer service agents over the phone.
    What is Lively Flip’s return policy?
    You must return the Lively Flip within 30 days to get a refund for the activation fee, first-month service charge and the cost of the device. Keep in mind that shipping charges aren’t refundable and restocking fees may apply.
    What is Lively Flip's cancellation policy?
    You can cancel Lively Flip service at any time, but you will be responsible for charges and overages through the date of final billing.
    Does Lively Flip offer a warranty?
    Yes, Lively Flip comes with a one-year standard limited warranty.
    Does Medicare cover Lively Flip?
    Medicare does not cover Lively Flip phones.
    What is Lively Flip’s average response time?
    Operators immediately respond when you press the urgent response button.
    Where are Lively Flip monitoring centers located?
    Lively Flip monitoring centers have multiple locations, but are all based in the United States.
    Does Lively Flip offer a free trial period?
    No, Lively Flip doesn’t offer a free trial period.
    Are Lively Flip medical alert systems waterproof?
    No, the Lively Flip is not waterproof.
    How much does Lively Flip cost per month?
    Lively Flip starts at $19.99 monthly, but your bill depends on which plan you choose.
    Who makes the Lively Flip phone?
    The San Diego-based company GreatCall designed the Lively Flip phone. It also created the Jitterbug, which was extremely popular with seniors.

Do we recommend Lively Flip?

Yes. Lively Flip is simple to use and affordable, and it has many helpful features that make it a great option for those looking for a no-fuss phone. In addition, those who purchase health and safety plans can summon help in the event of a fall or other emergency, offering an affordable way to provide a medical alert system for a loved one.

Lively Flip has an urgent response button, a personal operator and several other features that help ensure you receive help when you need it. Lively Flip and its creator, GreatCall, create thoughtful and useful features for seniors and caregivers alike, such as the GreatCall Rides feature and the GreatCall Link app. Because this company is well-loved by its users, we recommend Lively Flip to seniors looking for a straightforward and easy-to-use phone.

Lively Flip Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lively Flip?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

They don't even get one star, they get zero. A scam company. The phone did not work, the customer service people could not make it work, there was no easy way to cancel, they charged my mother for a plan way higher than she ordered, and they hacked it immediately and someone else used it. They made the comment that we must have bought it from some third party, like their abuse was our fault. No, we bought it from the company and only because it was rated as good for seniors. Don't ever buy this phone or use this company. They are scam artists.

Lively Flip response

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

Very disappointed with this phone for my elderly mom. In order to make a phone call from contacts mom has to drill down too many times to finally be able to make a call. I've read that there are updates to add features that should have been available from the beginning such as speed dial, outer screen display time, etc. I just bought the phone today. The info re-update a is eons old, so why were brand new phones not already updated or updated as soon as the phone was activated. Also I had to troll the internet to even find out there was an update available. On top of this, even if we can get this darn thing updated, now mom will have to rely on memory who is #1, #2, etc. The makers should really have held a focus group of users 85+. They would see the phone IS NOT designed for the elderly. So, I'm dumping this phone after one month and going back to a simpler, regular phone. This phone is not useful to any elderly person.

Lively Flip response

Hello Deborah, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you need any assistance, please call our Customer Service Team.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Service personnel indifferent to customer issues...unwilling to offer assistance...overall poor phone reception...phone requests left unaddressed...probably best to acquire phone service with more reputable, prudent, reliable, known communication service.

Lively Flip response

We are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Lively strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us improve our ability to serve you and other users of our products. We hope to hear back from you soon

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I ordered a Jitterbug flip phone because my husband cannot manage a regular phone. I asked if the phone had speed dial because he can just press one number and is able to contact me. They mailed the phone to me and it does not have speed dial. They said they would send me a mailing label to send it back. This was two weeks ago. When the mailing label didn't come, I called and they said my request was denied. So they lied to me again. I don't think I should have to pay to send the phone back. I'm going to try calling my bank and have the charge (for the phone) refunded. I thought this was a reputable company but apparently it is not!

Lively Flip response

We're sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip phone. This phone does offer the speed dial feature and there is instruction to set it up in the user guide. The Jitterbug Flip2 offers the Alexa feature which allows you to connect to a number in the phonebook. Please look for a private message from us so we can further assist you with the return of your phone.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

It's a shame the Jitterbug flip phone I'd owned since 2007 has been "shut off" and I was forced to "upgrade" to a more modern version in 2019. The old phone was very simple and had much better sound quality. Still, the new phone is handy for traveling and if the POTS landline phone is on the blink.

Original review: April 8, 2021

We recently purchased a Lively flip cell phone for my 94 yr old mother in law (03/2021). The serious problem with this phone is the position of the volume controls - they are on the right side of the phone, on the numbers pad portion (bottom) when the phone is flipped opened. The only possible way to hang on to the phone is to hold it (for most right-handed people) in one's right hand. To answer a call or make a call, one has to push the "OK" button to answer a call, or after pushing buttons to dial someone.

For a senior who is trying to hang on to the cell phone when pushing numbers, they have to have a pretty firm grip on the lower (numbers pad) portion of the phone. That puts the right hand thumb directly over the volume control. What we discovered is that it is very easy for our mom to push the volume control lower button inadvertently, and pretty quickly the ring volume has been turned to "Silent"! Or worse, when talking, the sound of the person talking to her goes way down, so it becomes very hard to hear. That volume control lever/button is definitely in a very poor place!

One solution would be to allow for LOCKING the sound (and basically disabling the volume buttons on the side), or possibly making a "left-handed" phone which might have the volume control on the left side, which might work for a right handed person. My mother in law inadvertently kept turning off the ringer volume with her right thumb so she never heard any incoming calls - very frustrating to her daughters. Ultimately she is not able to always check this volume to make sure it is always up, not on "silent". Admittedly this sounds like an easy problem to solve, and is for most people, but it doesn't work for the elderly.

Original review: April 6, 2021

We have always had a landline, but in Dec. we moved to a small town without phone service. Because we had Spectrum for our phone, TV and internet we went with them for a cell phone. They have over billed us saying it's for WIFI (we don't use WIFI). It's not on. We have called them and they said it was fixed then. But they just billed us again for the service. We do not have a contract, but are paying for the LG5 phone by the month. We need to have this resolved because we can't afford this bill.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I purchased the Lively flip phone for my 90 year old father to replace the jitterbug. I expected the Lively flip phone to offer the features like the jitterbug plus the ability to block spam calls and the name of the person calling would be displayed in the window. Jitterbug phone used to show the name of the caller until a glitch in the software or so I was told. I’ve made multiple calls to see when the software glitch would be resolved. The response was always “they are working on it”. I guess the resolution was to replace with a new phone. Very disappointing since I assume the majority of your customers are elderly.

I’m returning the Lively flip phone because making calls is NOT a simple process. You select > Phone > arrow down to the person you want to call > and then select OK! If you have many contacts, the process is not simple. With the jitterbug, my father used speed dial! Lively does NOT have this feature. I had to pay return shipping plus a restocking fee...UGH I wish I had paid more attention to the other reviewer who stated the process was more steps compared to the jitterbug phone. I hope this review helps someone else avoid the added hassle and expense.

Lively Flip response

Hello Linda, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you have not already done so, please call our Customer Service Team for additional support at 1-800-733-6632.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Purchased for my 91 year old Father so that he can get help if needed. When you open the Phone phone the dial tone is very loud, but once you place a call, the volume drops down so low that it can barely be heard. I tried raising the Speaker Volume with a call in progress, but nothing happens! Since he has significant hearing loss, he can't use it!

Lively Flip response

HellO, we are sorry to hear you have encountered an issue with the Jitterbug Flip phone. Please look for a private message from us so we may gather account information and further assist.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

When I call my elderly Mother on her Jitterbug Flip phone, I cannot hear her answer. I speak to her and ask her to call me back. When I receive the call she initiated I can hear her voice. This is a nuisance because none of her other callers know to do this. Is there something I can do to fix it. She loves the phone for ease of use and knows how to operate it. But this cannot go on! I read a few other reviews on here with the exact same problem. What will you do?

Lively Flip response

Hello Brenda, we are sorry to hear you have encountered an issue with the Jitterbug Flip phone. Please look for a private message from us so we may gather account information and further assist.

Find a Medical Alert System partner near you.

Lively Flip Company Information