2. Medical Alert Systems

Jitterbug Flip
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Jitterbug Flip is new and improved with a dedicated 5Star urgent response button. Jitterbug Flip is an easy-to-use cell phone that truly enables you to be connected, protected and in control of your life.

Easy-to-Use

The Jitterbug Flip has new features like a bigger screen, larger buttons, a backlit keypad for easier typing, and a thoughtful design making it a cell phone that's actually enjoyable to use.

Easy to Enjoy

With a powerful speaker, conversations are heard loud and clear, and simple YES and NO buttons make navigating the menu effortless. You can also enable the built-in flashlight with a magnifier to help you see in dimly lit areas. Plus, the Jitterbug Flip comes with a built-in camera with flash, that allows you to capture and share every special moment.

Easy to be Prepared

You can turn the Jitterbug Flip into a personal safety device, making it more than just a cell phone - with our Health and Safety packages. In any uncertain or unsafe situation, just push the 5Star button and you’ll speak immediately with an IAED Certified 5Star Agent who can get you the help you need in any emergency, big or small.

Award-Winning Customer Service

When you need assistance, our knowledgeable 100% U.S.- based Customer Service Representatives and friendly Operators are there to help. Just dial “0” and an Operator can help you connect a call or add a contact to your Phone Book.

BOTTOM LINE

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones are for those who want a simple medical alert device that doubles as a phone. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to 5Star Urgent Response.

PROS

• Quick response time
  • Helpful caregiver services
  • Great service area
  • Designs/functions for older adults

CONS

• No voice-enabled options
  • No waterproof options

Top Jitterbug Flip Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

The customer service is top notch. I wanted to address some complaints about not hearing the ring… she said they had another option, to scroll down to ALERT, press Yes and it is just perfect. No fancy ring tones but an alert one. Not too loud just perfect at least for me.

...I have another mobile phone, a smartphone for internet but I like having this phone in the bath and out walking because the 5 Star feature is much simpler than dialing 911 and you get a qualified person to answer if there is an emergency….

Jitterbug Flip Learn More

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner, accredited by ConsumerAffairs.

Compare Brands

Jitterbug flip review

GreatCall created the Jitterbug Flip as a phone for older adults. Although it can act as a simple cell phone, the Jitterbug Flip also has a 5Star Urgent Response button that instantly contacts emergency medical services for seniors’ health and safety. The display is large, so it’s easy to read, and the menu options are easy to understand. Other design touches include big buttons, a more powerful speaker, a flashlight app and a magnifying function for those with vision issues.

Available in graphite or red, Jitterbug Flip phones weigh 4.7 ounces. The device is about 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall and less than 1 inch thick, with a 3.2-inch internal display and 1.44-inch external display. The device has a camera, GPS, Bluetooth, speakerphone capabilities and is hearing aid compatible. Jitterbug Flip specs also include 1GB of built-in memory storage so you can store hundreds of contacts, dozens of messages and thousands of photos.

Jitterbug Flip phone plans

Jitterbug Flip offers Basic, Preferred and Ultimate phone plans for customers with different lifestyles and activity levels. All phone plans include Jitterbug 5Star service. Talk and text services are available for additional fees.

• Jitterbug Flip Basic: The Jitterbug Flip Basic phone plan is $19.99 per month and includes 5Star Urgent Response, Check-In Call, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games, and The Wellness Call.
  • Jitterbug Flip Preferred: The Jitterbug Flip Preferred phone plan is $24.99 per month and includes all services covered in the Jitterbug Flip Basic plan, as well as the Urgent Care and GreatCall Link services.
  • Jitterbug Flip Ultimate: The Jitterbug Flip Ultimate phone plan is $34.99 per month and has everything from the Jitterbug Flip Basic and JItterbug Flip Preferred plan, but also includes the Personal Operator and Product Replacement services.

Compare Jitterbug Flip packages

All Jitterbug Flip packages come with 5Star Response, Check-In Call, MedCoach, Daily Health Tips, Brain Games and The Wellness Call services.

BasicPreferredUltimate
Basic$19.99
Preferred$24.99
Ultimate$34.99

Jitterbug Flip services

Jitterbug Flip services benefit those who are independent but want the peace of mind knowing that support is readily available in an emergency. 24/7 professional assistance is available, and caregivers can easily check on their loved one’s health and wellness without disturbing them. Service plans are customizable to suit a variety of needs.

• Check-in Call: Daily, automated check-in calls are available with health and wellness questions based on personal preference. Pain level, appetite and overall well-being are all check-in options.
  • MedCoach: A service that reminds you to stay on a medication schedule or refill prescriptions.
  • Daily Health Tips: Daily health tips from the American Heart Association that include information on health, wellness, activity and diet.
  • Brain Games: Fun brain games help keep you focused and improve memory.
  • The Wellness Call: A daily check-in call that puts you in touch with a wellness expert.
  • Urgent Care: Users speak with a real, live nurse and even a board-certified doctor at any time without an appointment. Additionally, you can get prescriptions for common medications over the phone.
  • GreatCall Link: Caregivers can stay informed about the health and safety of their loved ones through the GreatCall Link app.
  • Personal Operator: Unlimited access to a live operator who is ready to assist you with any information you may need.
  • Product Replacement: If your Jitterbug Flip phone is broken, lost, or even stolen, this Product Replacement service replaces the device at no additional cost.

Jitterbug Flip Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip by GreatCall?

Original review: June 26, 2020

Voice quality is very poor, sounds muffled yes and no controls for call history deletion and voice messages saved /delete don't work properly. Monthly cost advertised is misleading. I bought this phone for my senior mom, save your money better off with a medical alert button more dependable.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Victoria, we are sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip phone. The phone does provide different levels to the call volume if the sound is too low. The Jitterbug Flip phone is designed to be easy and simple to use. There are some features that are not available such as deleting the call history. All our plans and prices are listed on our website.

Original review: June 4, 2020

Told me to stand outside to reception, salesman lied and said had same reception as Verizon. Wouldn’t release my number and held it hostage. Wouldn’t give me my money back, gave Verizon lady a hard time and said she was lying. Very muffled when talking, frequently didn’t get incoming calls and texts. The only thing it didn’t have on the back was Mickey Mouse. And had to shut the phone off every day to use it. I would like your lying response back to this.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I got the jitterbug flip for my 95 year old father. It had various problems, the most annoying was "No Service", it would come and go. I am told Great Call uses the Verizon network which is a strong network in my area. Every member of my family has a phone on the Verizon network and have never had a network/connection issue. I would call the jitterbug phone from another Verizon phone in the same house and the jitterbug would not ring as an example. My father has a 15 year old LG flip phone on the Verizon network and we never had a network issue. I called customer service on these various issues and the usual standard answer was I don't understand. The phone has multiple problems what don't I understand it doesn't work.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Allen, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: April 12, 2020

Difficult to hear the user's conversation---very distorted. I got this phone for my 95 y/o mother since her facility's room phone's volume was too low for her to hear. When we talk to mom, her voice is so distorted we cannot make out most of the conversation---it's not the volume it's the distortion. This is not serving us well during the 2020 COVID-19 quarantine---for one thing, mom probably has only a few short months left due to a terminal illness. As soon as we can visit the long-term care facility, I will replace the J-bug with my older i-phone; I should have thought of that to begin with. I would steer clear of this phone.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Anne, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

This phone is not at all what I expected. I bought it for my husband who wanted a flip phone and needed one with large buttons.

1. When the phone rings with an incoming call, be prepared to run. It only rings for about 10 seconds, so if you can't get to it immediately, it goes to voicemail. If this is a phone for seniors, then they had better be super spry or they will miss calls!
    2. Voice mail is the pits. There is no way to forward through messages so we have to listen to ALL of them every time.
    3. Sound quality is terrible. It is hard to hear the people on the other end and they in turn have a hard time hearing us.
    4. I don't need it to chime incessantly when there is a message, a text, or it is charged. I don't need it to chime at all but there seems to be no way to disable this most annoying feature.
    5. Spam calls - constantly! I don't need a medical device, life insurance, or any other 'senior' service. My phone is on the DNC registry but that apparently doesn't seem to matter. We get at least 5 robo and spam calls a day.

6. It is not a user friendly phone. The technology is almost archaic - I know it isn't a smartphone by any means, but it could be MUCH easier to use. Every aspect is cumbersome multisteps (yes to listen, yes to confirm, no to hang up, etc. etc).

As soon as I can fix my old iPhone for him to use we are switching to that. A ten year old iPhone would be an improvement over this piece of junk.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you have not already done so, please call our Customer Service Team for additional support at 1-800-733-6632.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

My mom is older and only uses the phone to talk to friends and family. We got her the Jitterbug because it advertises the larger buttons and easy for seniors to use. The buttons are larger but the phone itself is awful. Most of the time you cannot hear her when she answers the phone. She has to call you back in order to actually hear her speaking. The phone fades in and out, it tells her she has missed calls from me when I haven't called her. We have called customer service several times and they replaced the phone once and have told her to be patient service will be better in a few days...which is a joke. Her best friend is having the same issues with her Jitterbug phone. Both ladies pray they don't have an emergency before they get new phones.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Kristi, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I bought the phone. It seemed wonderful until you add contacts. The phone does not update in alphabetical order, but in the order you enter it. I can not see deleting all of them to re-enter in the right order. Plus I have received several calls and texts 5 days later when I needed to know right away. For having the coverage that they are supposed to have it really stinks to the heavens. I was lucky enough that the doctors called the landline and left a message because I could have lost my organ transplant due to great calls inefficiencies.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Ien, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience with updating your phonebook and we appreciate your feedback. For assistance alphabetizing your phonebook, you may log into your mygreatcall.com account to complete the update. If you are unable to log into your mygreatcall.com account, you may also call our Operator Assistance, from your Jitterbug phone, for support.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

For many months my 92 year old father was paying $.35 a minute for each minute over his 600 minute plan. The plan is auto billing from his bank account. I called when I discovered the problem and found that Great Call had changed from 600 minutes to 1000 for the same price and would make the change. Why was my father not notified of this change/opportunity? Why wouldn't Great Call just make the change for him automatically? I think the answer is obvious. My father has dementia and I take responsibility for not catching it sooner. Nothing aggravates me more than elder abuse and from a company that caters to the elderly I am saddened and feel he was violated for profit. Buyer beware.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Lee, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. GreatCall updates rate plans from time to time to provide our customers with more minutes. All our rate plans are available on our website. We also allow our customer to make changes to the rate plan once per billing cycle. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My mother is 98 and legally blind. She has a VERY old LG flip phone, and I sometimes have difficulty with our calls. May just be operator error, but I thought a simple new flip phone was sure to offer superior sound for both of us. I did thorough research (or so I thought) and decided on ** and their Doro 7050 flip phone. I purchased it at Target and the customer service rep was awesome! Set the phone up quickly, told me there was a 30-day return guarantee, set it up with a temporary number but assured me I could easily change it to her old number when I had the information about the old carrier. A very pleasant experience.

Got the phone home and started playing with it and was aghast to find out there was no Speaker phone button. To get to the loud speaker you have to be on a call and then press three different buttons! Since this was a deal breaker, I returned the phone (and got a full refund) and went to Best Buy at the other end of the mall and purchased the Jitterbug flip phone. Best Buy sold me the phone. Period. No set up. Phone cost $75 to the Doro's $50.

Went home, saw I could save $10 if I activated the phone online instead of on the phone. However, as soon as I said I wanted to use an old number, they said I had to call. They charged $35 to activate! (** charged $0.) They said the switch over to the old number could take anywhere from a few hours to several business days. Since I was doing all of this over the holidays, I gave it extra time. When I called Great Call today I was told that I gave the wrong PIN for the Verizon account. So they were just going to let it sit there and not notify me. Ridiculous. I gave them a corrected PIN and they said it could take a few hours or 2 days.

Then I asked about their Voice Call feature where instead of having to dial a number, you can say the name of someone in your phone book. The instruction book says it's in the menu, but it wasn't on my phone's menu! Well, apparently, you have to ask customer service for this feature! So they said they would send me a software update, and so far that doesn't seem to have worked. Twice.

Oh, and all I want is the 250 minute plan, no text, no data. ** and Great Call both appeared to cost $15/month. But no, Great Call charges an additional $3/month for Voice Mail. I got excited when I saw they have a feature that would be great for my mom where you can dial 0 for one of their operators to help with making a call or adding to the phone book or whatever help you need. But the fine print notes that it costs $.99 every time you call them if you are on the plan I'm on. Oh well.

So here it is a week since I purchased the phone, and I'm still trying to get the phone number moved over and the features I need. I have a feeling I'm going to wind up having to return this phone, and based on my experience so far, I'm probably going to at least be out the $35 activation fee plus the week or two of service when I was not using the phone. Disappointing to say the least.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Leni, thank you for your feedback regarding our products and services. We would like to assist you further with your port in request. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Wow, where do I start. I bought the flip phone from for my 80 year old father who has very bad eyesight due to a degenerated eye condition. It’s obvious to me that the designers of the phone do not test this phone with people who are visually impaired. Using the confusing buttons was not an option for us since at some point my father could not see them. I then downloaded the voice recognition version of the phone and was excited that this might make my fathers life easier. Although the premise of how it works is nice (no buttons to find and push), it was a huge disappointment. The voice recognition software is very poor with about 8 out of ten tries resulting in the wrong name being recognized. The sheer frustration for my father was excruciating to watch. Now I’m left with poorly designed phone with no refund available.

The jitterbug company needs to truly evaluate their research and development team and make some changes. People with a visual impairment need a good voice recognition software.... They need a physical button they can find and push (your upgraded smartphone is useless as well for this reason). DIGITAL BUTTONS ARE USELESS TO THOSE WHO CANT SEE THEM! Until you make drastic changes to your product you have no business marketing yourself for the elderly or those visually impaired.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Daniel, we are sorry to hear of your experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you have not already done so, please call our Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632, for additional support.

Jitterbug Flip phone accessories

Jitterbug Flip packages include the charging dock and battery. Additional Jitterbug Flip phone accessories can be purchased separately to make charging, carrying and communication more simple.

EXTRA CHARGING DOCK
    • $24.99
    • Keep your Jitterbug Flip phone charged and ready with an additional charging dock.
    TRAVEL WALL CHARGER
    • $19.99
    • The travel Jitterbug Flip phone charger cable is 45 inches long and compatible with 100–420-volt two-prong outlets.
    CAR CHARGER
    • $24.99
    • The Jitterbug Flip car charger coiled cable stretches 12–40 inches.
    HOLSTER CASE
    • $19.99
    • The Jitterbug Flip phone case easily attaches to a belt, pocket or purse to securely carry your device.
    EXTRA BATTERY
    • $19.99
    • A Jitterbug Flip phone battery replacement for if you need a new one.
    BLUETOOTH HEADSET
    • $49.99
    • Samsung HM1300 Bluetooth Headset enables hands-free communication with automatic pairing and static-free connection.

Jitterbug Flip caregiver tools

With the GreatCall Link app, caregivers know immediately if the Jitterbug device is on and where it is located. Caregivers are notified when the battery is low so they can remind their loved one to charge their device. The Link app also sends notifications for certain actions, such as when 5Star is utilized. You can check in to see if appointments are being kept, if medication has been taken and more. The monitoring GeatCall Link app comes included with the Preferred and Ultimate Jitterbug phone plans.

GreatCall Jitterbug Flip FAQ

Can I use the Jitterbug Flip with AT&T?
    Jitterbug Flip comes with GreatCall’s standard network service, but it’s possible for an unlocked Jitterbug Flip phone to work on the AT&T network.
    Can I block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone?
    No, you can’t block calls on Jitterbug Flip phone.
    How do I change my Jitterbug Flip plan?
    You can change your Jitterbug Flip plan by contacting Jitterbug customer service agents over the phone.
    What is Jitterbug Flip’s return policy?
    You must return the Jitterbug Flip within 30 days to get a refund for the activation fee, first-month service charge and the cost of the device. Keep in mind that shipping charges aren’t refundable and restocking fees may apply.
    Where can I buy Jitterbug Flip?
    You can purchase Jitterbug Flip phones directly from the GreatCall website or by calling the number above. They are also available at popular retail stores like Walmart, Rite Aid and Amazon.
    What is Jitterbug Flip cancellation policy?
    You can cancel Jitterbug Flip service at any time, but you will be responsible for charges and overages through the date of final billing.
    Does Jitterbug Flip offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, Jitterbug Flip comes with a one-year standard limited warranty.
    Does Medicare cover Jitterbug Flip?
    Medicare does not cover Jitterbug Flip emergency call devices.
    What is Jitterbug Flip’s average response time?
    Operators immediately respond when you press the 5Star Urgent Response button.
    Where are Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers located?
    Jitterbug Flip monitoring centers have multiple locations and they service most of the United States.
    Does Jitterbug Flip offer a free trial period?
    No, Jitterbug Flip doesn’t offer a free trial period.
    Are Jitterbug Flip medical alert systems waterproof?
    No, the Jitterbug Flip is not waterproof.
    How much does Jitterbug Flip phone cost per month?
    Jitterbug Flip cost per month starts at $19.99 but your monthly charge could depend on which plan you choose.

Do we recommend Jitterbug Flip?

Yes. GreatCall Jitterbug Flip cell phones can summon help in the event of a fall or other emergency. Jitterbug Flip has a powerful 5Start urgent response button along with a suite of other health and safety services. Urgent care assistance, medical advice, wellness calls, daily health tips, brain games and 24/7 emergency access. are just a few of the available Jitterbug Flip services.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information