2. Medical Alert Systems

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5

GreatCall’s Jitterbug Smart is a smartphone for older adults. These smart devices help you or your loved one summon help in an emergency and stay connected with family and friends. The devices are lightweight, easy to use and come with a few free services and tools. A variety of accessories and add-on services are available to enhance your experience.

Jitterbug Smart Learn More

Jitterbug Smart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Smart2?

Original review: March 3, 2020

Can't download files & voicemail does not work properly. My wife and I transferred our cellphone service to Great Call during October 2019. We got two Jitterbug II Smartphones. Since then, when we call each other, we do not get the other persons voicemail. We get our own. That's worthless. I need to leave her a voicemail, not leave one to myself. We've called this issue in 3 times and, while customer service is courteous, they can't get Verizon to fix the issue and no one follows up with us. Dead air from Great Call.

Two. We can't download files from texts....only pictures or similar. We confirmed this is normal in a conversation with customer service. That is not acceptable. We are missing valuable communications and data because the phone's texting capabilities are sub-normal. It's not a Great Call. It's Cheap Call and poor customer service. Buyer beware. You get what you pay for. I want good cellphone service, not nice-nice Reps who do not follow up. BTW. I spent 25 in telecom. I know poor service when I get it.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Kevin, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to assist you further, please look for a private message from us that is requesting additional information.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I have been with Jitterbug/Great Call for over a year and I have added 2 phones since then. I have had nothing but terrible experience with customer service until today. February 11, 2020 between 1 and 2 pm. A man named TIM spent the time to listen to our problems. Helped us connect to our wifi so that we wouldn't go over our usage. Hopefully ALL the problems we have been having with billing and over usage will be solved. Thank you Tim for making me decide Great Call may not be so bad after all.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

My mom had a phone and was on my plan. I saw 17$ per month advertisement from Greatcall. I thought I save money. I bought a phone for 100$ and got a plan for my mom from greatcall then I found 17$ has no data. They wanted 50$ to give her unlimited data, but this was way more than I was paying before. After some negotiations I got for 25$ a plan that included limited data and calls. But one month I was charged about 250$. I called and greatcall told me, "Your mom used extra data." Extra data 250$!!!?

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello, we are sorry that you were not completely satisfied with our rate plans and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. Our lowest plan available for the Jitterbug smartphones includes our lowest data option of 100MB. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans. We offer services ala carte to allow you to tailor the phone to your needs. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

We purchased the Jitterbug at Best Buy and proceeded to call Great Call when we got home...what an ordeal! They me on hold for over 20 minutes the first time I called. Then Bill answered. What a jerk. He was condescending but I wanted to do this for my mom so I continued the conversation. He asked for my number in case we got disconnected. Well we didn’t get disconnected, he hung up on me! I called again and was on hold for over 25 minutes! I was fuming by then and the girl on the line was not much better. In the middle of the call I thanked her for her time and decided this was not for my mom. She has been happy with Metro Pcs, so she is staying with them! Thanks Bill for being a jerk. This would have been more expensive for my mom a month than metro pcs, but we wanted to try it out. You saved us from that hassle!

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. All calls are answered in the order they are received and although hold times vary, most calls are answered within a few minutes. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I have had my Jitterbug for four days and it’s still not activated. Despite nearly six hours on the phone and a replacement customer service has not been Able to help, claiming bad data entry on their and and network problems. I’m more than done.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Lynn, we are sorry to hear you are unable to activate your Jitterbug phone. It may be due to coverage in your area or things like weather, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. Please contact our Customer Service at 1800-733-6632, between 5am and 10pm, Pacific Time, to go through activation troubleshooting. We do offer a 30-Day Return policy if you are still unable to activate your phone. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Great concept but needs improvement. The location of the 5* when unlocking the phone causes my elderly mother to accidentally call the police. Unprompted the last two days the phone has blocked Contacts, Dial Pad, messaging and history. The Customer service folks are patient and friendly and walked me through unblocking, but it was a temporary fix because it blocked them again. Volume is not loud enough.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Lori, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional information.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I have used a Jitterbug phone for about two years without a problem. About a month ago I decided to upgrade to another phone and another carrier. I contacted GreatCall and asked them to close my account and port my number to my new phone. Neither has happened. I settled for a new number on my new phone and continued to contact GreatCall to request that my service be discontinued to no avail. I have called and emailed them asking for their help. They have been courteous and they insisted that my account was closed nearly a month ago.

Well, my GreatCall phone still operates, and my account is still open. I pay through autopay at my bank, and I suppose I will be charged at the end of the billing cycle for a phone that I do not use. I will contact my bank to stop payment. Perhaps the tech people at GreatCall just do not know how to turn off service. At any rate I am just tired of trying to work with them. Next step will be to work through with another agency. They really seem like nice folks, but I think they have outgrown their ability to provide adequate service.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Charles, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. We would like to assist you further. Please look for a private message from us requesting account information.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

We purchased this phone for my mother who turns 90 this year and was starting to have challenges with her iPhone. So we bought a Smart2 thinking it would be a friendlier alternative. We were mistaken. Example: in order to place a phone call to a stored "contact," starting at the Home screen, it takes 6 screen taps before the target phone starts ringing. The iPhone took 2. There are no speed dials and the menu tree doesn't really translate well to a 90-year old who grew up in simpler times. Further, the buttons are cumbersome and it's easy for an elderly person, slowing down, to accidentally press and hold the wrong one. So she was constantly turning the ringer volume off or bringing up the "reboot" menu. As far as the main interface, she was constantly getting caught in the "Options" menu as well.

The pricing is also super expensive. You pay for the 5-Star service, then you pay for voice, then you pay for texts, then you pay for data. By the time we finished we were in the $70 a month range after tax (but we could have paid more!). The phone uses Verizon as a carrier. In her part of town, Verizon is not the best carrier choice. On the pro side: as long as she had the expensive thing with her, we could track her. So we decided to try their Flip phone. We'll let you know how that works.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hi Allen, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with the Jitterbug Smart 2 phone. We would like to thank you for your feedback, as we are always looking for better ways to improve our products. We will pass your comments to our Development Team for future improvements. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits, starting at $17.48, before taxes, for the Jitterbug Smart 2 phone. We are happy to hear that you have chosen to try the Jitterbug Flip phone, we hope that this phone best fits your needs. If you need any assistance or have any questions, please call us at 1-800-733-6632 between 5am – 10pm, Pacific Time.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Well, it’s been five days since we bought and activated a phone, and we e. Even online with service five times, three with a supervisor, trying to get number ported from another carrier. They did not ask for or submit complete information - twice - but didn’t tell us port has been rejected until we found out they had not asked us for all the info needed. One of the customer service supervisors admitted that CS had “failed.” Yet here we are, without a fully submitted/ accepted port request for my 84 year old mother in law, and after untold hours trying to get to the bottom of it all. I’d give them a zero if you let me.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Robert, we are sorry to hear you encountered a problem and we would like to assist you further. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

First of all, it doesn't always do what I want it to do. I accidentally hit the *5 button. Operator came on but couldn't hear me when I tried to tell her was an accident. Most concerning, the way it sucks the life out of the battery. 99% at bedtime, checked in the AM 40%. I didn't check in the morning one time, was downtown at twilight and was horrified to discover when I checked that the battery was at 1%. What if I had had a car breakdown? Stuck downtown after dark and no way to call AAA? That's dangerous. It's not a pleasure to use. Every time I do, puts me in a bad mood for hours. I HATE it. ANDROID is a vile, stinky OS. I think I'll throw away the $100+ I spent on the wretched thing, buy an iPhone. I am a Mac user/Apple platform person. I really made a mistake in not sticking with Apple products. The refurbished iPhones sold at Target should work just fine,.

Jitterbug Smart response

Hello Alice, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. If you have not already done so, please call our Customer Service team at 1-800-733-6632, for assistance. Our Customer Service department is available between 5am and 10pm Pacific Time.

Jitterbug Smart Company Information