2. Medical Alert Systems

4.6/5 (274 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems with location tracking, fall detection and monitoring from a trained team of care specialists. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

Pros

• No long-term contracts
    • Simple setup
    • Multilingual operators

Cons

• Cancellation fees
    • Activation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. Its devices are simple to use, and it doesn’t require any commitment. However, there is a one-time activation fee in addition to the monthly rate.

Top Lifeline Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The couple of times I spoke with people at Philips Lifeline, they were very helpful, supportive and nice. They gave me all the information or assistance that I needed. I was quite...

Verified

I have Philips Lifeline for when I fall. Everything has been fine. If I had a question, I'd call and they'd answer. ... I'm just glad it's there because I can be a little trippy s...

Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Lifeline?

Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers at-home and on-the-go medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices call a 24-hour monitoring center. The company, originally called Lifeline Systems, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards ever since.

How does Lifeline work?

Lifeline offers medical alert systems that can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a response center. These centers are based in the U.S. and Canada and have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained care specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you, if possible, and contact your loved ones, care providers or emergency services. If a fall is detected, the care specialist can summon help even if you are unconscious.

Lifeline’s wearable devices are waterproof and come with 24/7 multilingual emergency response services and features like advanced GPS technology, automatic fall detection and cellular communicator options. Lifeline mobile systems utilize technology such as Assisted GPS, Wi-Fi, audio beacons and location breadcrumbs.

About Lifeline monitoring center

Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Lifeline caregiver tools

Lifeline offers caregivers several resources, like advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

You’ll find access to helpful tools and information that can assist you with time and stress management and help you understand the technology available for medical alerts.

You can discuss costs, monitoring and safety with Lifeline representatives or get advice on the best products and services for your situation.

Additional Lifeline services

Lifeline offers additional services that complement its in-home and on-the-go medical alert systems.

• Cares: The Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. The app lets you share notes and updates on your well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.
    • Wireless cellular option: You don’t need a landline to access the emergency alert services provided. The wireless cellular option is through AT&T.
    • Automatic fall detection: AutoAlert is the automatic fall detection created by Lifeline. It will detect that you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button. It can be added to several of the service plans for an additional fee.
    • Location technologies: The available location technologies go beyond basic GPS. The mobile products include five different location technologies, and this service is included in the standard price. Using technologies like Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon, your call for help should immediately identify where you are.

Lifeline FAQ

How does Lifeline work?
    All Lifeline systems are compatible with either landline or cellular phone service. You can install one yourself with the instructions provided, and toll-free customer support is available if you have trouble getting started.

Once it’s working, you’ll be able to press your help button or rely on the fall detection technology to contact the emergency call center. Operators will keep you calm and talk you through the situation while they dispatch medical help and contact your trusted family members or caregivers.

How does Lifeline fall detection work?
    Lifeline fall detection is an optional addition that gives you access to help even if you’re not able to reach or press your help button. The system differentiates between actual falls and false alarms with 95% accuracy using accelerometers, barometric sensors and innovative algorithms. The AutoAlert technology immediately connects to the response center, even if you’re unconscious or unable to ask for help.
    Does Medicare cover Lifeline?
    No, Medicare does not cover Lifeline medical alert systems.
    What is Lifeline’s average response time?
    Lifeline’s average response time is 12 seconds.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Lifeline medical alert system?
    No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Lifeline.
    What is Lifeline’s return policy?
    You can return your products within 30 days for a full refund provided they are in good condition. If you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.
    What is Lifeline’s cancellation policy?
    If you want to cancel your order, contact Lifeline customer service. There may be a $50 cancellation fee.
    Where are Lifeline’s monitoring centers located?
    Lifeline’s monitoring response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada.
    Do Lifeline emergency response services require a landline?
    No, Lifeline has cellular devices that do not require a landline. However, you may need a landline if you buy one of its other devices.
    Does Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, the warranty for a Lifeline GoSafe medical device is for one year.
    Does Lifeline offer a free trial period?
    No, Lifeline does not offer a free trial period.
    Are Lifeline medical alert systems waterproof?
    Some parts are. You can keep the Lifeline pendant on while you’re showering or bathing.
    How much does Lifeline cost?
    Lifeline prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that Lifeline medical alert systems have a one-time activation fee or device charge too.

Do we recommend Lifeline?

Yes. Lifeline’s medical alert products help users and those who care for them. These devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals that can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. Lifeline also has a network of support available to caregivers and family members. If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Lifeline.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: June 26, 2021

My Philips Lifeline does provide another layer of security knowing that if something was to occur, I could just push a button. When I have accidentally pushed a button, someone was immediately there on the line, which is really good. When you’re home by yourself, you know that you can reach out to someone, and they can talk with you and get help to you right away. That's the main security that I love about the system. I did have one situation where I did not even touch the button, and I heard someone else's conversation. I don’t know how that happened, and that may be something that they could look into because that was someone else's private matter. I know I didn't hit my button.

I just keep my device near me. I don’t like things on my neck. I don’t even wear jewelry around my neck. So, I just have it with me while I’m at home. When I go to my bedroom, it’s the same where I have it right there near me. The only thing is if you lose power at your home, especially with storms, then that's not going to work. It will be affected if I was to lose power because that's plugged in. Thank God, I’m in an area where there’s not a lot of power shortages. If they can make a product that one can take outside of the home, I'll be glad to be in on the details of it. It would be wonders. What I have is an in-home model. Overall, Philips Lifeline is an awesome service for those of us that’s disabled, and even for the families taking care of someone that's disabled. It provides comfort and peace to the person that's needing it and to the family member that's taking care of the person that needs it. It’s working both ways.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I have one leg, and my bathroom is far away from my bedroom so I have a commode on by the bedside. I was getting up to get onto it. I was trying for the wheelchair because I was going down. But I was trying to keep from going down and I went down anyway. And I was on the floor in the bedroom. The only thing I hurt was my knee because I was trying to get up on my own and I turned on my one knee. It hurts, to start with, so I hurt it more.

I was sitting on my butt on the floor and I got a hold of my wheelchair. I turned it around and I started pulling it with me. I was almost by the base unit of my Lifeline, because I don't have to be that close. I thought, “Oh, well. The only way I'm going to get up is by calling for somebody.” It was 2:30 in the morning, so I pushed my Lifeline and the rep came on and asked if I needed help. I said, “Yes, I fell like the commercial. I have fallen and I can't get up.” First caller was the fire department, because they're just across the street over here, and my neighbor across the street from me. And they all have my key box combo.

The paramedics came. They were pulling their gurney with them and I told them they didn't need that. I was now in the front and I had turned off my alarm. They came over and said, “How can we help you? Are you hurt?” I said, “No, I'm not hurt. I just had to get back up on my wheelchair.” One took me under one arm, and the other took me under the other arm, and they put me in my chair and said, “Is there anything else we can help you with? Are you sure you're all right?” I said, “I’m fine. I have my wheels under me now and I'm just great.” So they left, relocked my gate, took off.

The next morning, my daughter called me. She lives four hours away from me. And she's almost 70 so she's not a spring chicken either. I'm 93. She said, “I heard you fell.” And I said, “Well, who told you that?” Because all she can do is be upset and worried because she can't get to me. And she said, “Well, your Lifeline called me.” And I said, “They're not supposed to call you. I told them not to call you.”

Right after she hung up, I called Lifeline and told them they were not supposed to call my daughter. And they said that she was on there for some reason. I said, “Well, she's not to be notified because she can't get to me anyway. It doesn't do any good.” So the rep said that she would take my daughter off immediately, and she did. She said, “Now she won't be called for any reason whatsoever.” And I said, “Not any.” She said, “Nope. Not any.” The next day, I checked my answering machine. There was my Lifeline, and they said, “Your alarm went off during the night, but someone that knew the combination turned it off, so we didn't send the police so there'll be no charge.” That was the end of my experience.

As far as having somebody come, I'm very satisfied. But I've been having problems with the prices since I change from the telephone landline, being connected to it, and having the new unit. They told me it would be one price. And then when it was on my bill, it was another price. That was the third time I called them, and each time, I would get a different person and they would quote me a different price.

The last one was a price I was satisfied with, so I said, “Okay, that'll be on my bill on my Visa card.” They take it out automatically. And it was $5 and some cents more than they quoted me. So I thought, “Maybe the last quote they did will be on next month, so I'll just wait.” But that's the only problem I've had is with the billing. If I could get the same person twice, it would be a good thing. There are good people when they come on the line, and they all mean well, except that things get messed up. Also, I don't like the cord that goes around my neck. It makes me itch. And I'm afraid to cut it to put a gold chain on it for fear the gold chain wouldn’t fit through the hole on the little device. Philips Lifeline should change that cord. More metal. Maybe silver or something that doesn't turn color.

Lifeline response

Bonnalee, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad that we were able to get you the help that was needed. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 17, 2021

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. And you have to have three different devices for the shower, for the home and then another one if you went some place. It's not worth it. I've got one device with Philips Lifeline and it takes care of everything. Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall, it alerts them and that is very much needed. That has saved me several times.

I had a bad fall last January. There were some rocks surrounding my flower gardens and I tripped over them and fell on the rocks on the other side. My arms wouldn't work and my legs were throbbing. I couldn't lift myself up to be able to sit up or get up. I couldn't make a move or do anything and I was here by myself. My alarm went off and I wasn't in the house to respond to the call that would automatically call Philips Lifeline doing service. They couldn't get me and I couldn't respond to them, and they automatically called the ambulance. The ambulance came, got me and took me to the emergency room. This Philips service means to me and has helped me so many times. I fell on my back last Tuesday here in the house as I was putting a flower bow up on the shelf and totally lost my balance. Philips was there and they took care of me.

I got Philips over 10 years ago and if they come out with any new things, I check to see if they would be beneficial to me. They came out with that pill thing but I’m on a total of 30 medications a day and I take 8 to 10 pills each time. So, I couldn't use theirs because it wasn't large enough to hold the number of pills that I require in a day’s time. I recommend them to any of my friends. I go to a community group center for the older people and even there, I talk to them about Philips. A lot of them use their phones but you don't always have your phone on you. I'm one of those people. I don't carry my phone with me everywhere I go. Not even here in the house. I have it sitting right by my chair. I use a cell phone but wearing this device around my neck, it’s with me wherever I gotta go. Philips should continue to do the wonderful job they’re doing.

Lifeline response

Beverly, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that we were there when you needed us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 1, 2021

It worked several times for me. Several weeks ago, it went off. I thought I was closer to my chair than I was. When I went to sit down, I was not in my chair, and I slid down to the floor. I hit my head on the middle part of my wheelchair and cut my head open and couldn't get up. So, the Philips Lifeline went off and my daughter heard it. She was on the other end of the house. She came in there and we had to call the EMS. I had to go to the hospital and get a CT scan until everything was negative. So it worked. They responded almost immediately. It's also very comfortable. I don't even know it's on it. I wear it in the shower and every place. I wish more people would have them. It's been a lifesaver for me. Last July, I fell and I broke my hip. But I was outside and it didn't go off then. That’s the only drawback I have. It's not on other than in the house.

Lifeline response

Kathleen, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear that we could be there for you when you needed us inside your home. Feel free to call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 so that we can discuss your account with you to see if there are other options that may be a better solution for you. Please be well, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

My kids wanted me to have the device. I’m 92 years old. I was well up in the 80’s when I got it. It is just for their peace of mind. They're the ones who got Philips Lifeline. My husband passed away five years ago. Before that, I didn't need it. There was somebody always around. I asked how come they got one that doesn't work when you go away, and they said, “Because you’re never without your cell phone, mom. You can dial 911 just as easily.” I said, “You’re right.” That was the end of that. That was my only question when they got one that was only good here. It didn’t work one time, and they had to send me another one, and I had to return the one I had. That was all. I wear it and that’s it.

I have no complaints except that one thing that was humorous was, one day Philips Lifeline called and my alert was ringing. I was sitting in the recliner watching television. I had four phone calls. And then, my son called because they called him. I said, “I haven't moved from sitting here in the recliner.” Two days later, I was trying to pick up something in the bathroom, and I stayed on the floor and couldn't get up. I thought I could. I finally got my son to come over here and get me up. I said, “It was two days or three days before that they had called. All these calls and I was just sitting in the recliner.” I was so close to the floor when I went down but it didn’t set the device off. That was funny. I decided I didn't want to have the Fire Department and everything here just because I can't get up. It's stupid. But I have had no complaints. I’ve had the device for years and years now.

Lifeline response

Harriet, we are so sorry for the loss of your husband, and we thank you for taking the time to share this review with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad you wear your button, and you and your family have the added peace of mind. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any concerns, or questions. Please take care.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Ordered, got my order confirmation. Never got the product. I do get emails about how do I like the service. I give up. Completely unreliable if they can't even complete an order. Moving on to alternatives rather than trying get them to actually ship (and charge me) for a product.

Lifeline response

Hello Tracy, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. This is not the customer service that we strive for and would like to apologize you have not received your order yet and for the frustration you have dealt with. I understand that you are looking for alternatives but I would be happy to have a supervisor follow up with you to see if we can get this addressed for you. I have provided my direct e-mail in the private response section if you are able to send me a reply on how you would like to proceed, I can help facilitate this either way. If you are able to also reply in the private response in case for some reason your e-mail is blocked. Thank you for your time.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I ordered unit and was told it would be 6-8 weeks before I received it. Ordered it 6/4/21 and on 8/24/21 for the 2nd time I had to reach out to them and ask where is my unit??? It was backordered indefinitely and they did not reach out and let me know. Meanwhile I have an 84 year old father with dementia living alone since my mom passed on 5/28. On the 24th I ordered a different unit and was told it would ship the next day. It did not. On 8/31/21 my father fell in his bathroom and could not get up. I found him fairly quick because he wasn't answering my calls. I cancelled Lifeline immediately that day. Very poor customer service. On 9/3/21 I received a letter that detected on 8/28/21 they were not receiving a signal from our unit, was something wrong? Yes, we never received a unit!! Duh, get with it Lifeline!

Lifeline response

Hello Pam, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. This is not the customer service that we strive for and would like to apologize for the frustration you dealt with. I understand that you have already canceled service, but if you would like I can have a supervisor follow up with you to be sure all of your concerns were addressed. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I keep pressing this button when I'm not even aware of it. Philips Lifeline contacts me, and we get it all straightened out. At least, it's working.

Lifeline response

Geraldine, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We understand that people sometimes press the button in error and it's ok. I'm glad to hear our response team is responding appropriately and glad you are ok. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I fell about two months ago and broke my hip. I had to holler for my daughter, and she had to push the button for an ambulance. She said it took less than five minutes after she told Lifeline she needed an ambulance that they were here and then they took me to the hospital.

Lifeline response

Jennifer, Thank you for your review and providing this valuable feedback. We are sorry to hear that you fell but happy to know we could be there for you when you needed us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

The Philips Lifeline device is great. At the least little thing, these things are so sensitive. They’ll contact you to see if you need some help. I like it a lot. I fell a few times and they contacted me. They were really quick. But then other times, I just didn’t like it. They didn't call too fast. You'd be waiting. But it's still pretty good either way. I would recommend all older and elderly or handicapped people to have one.

Lifeline response

Laverne, Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. If you would like to discuss any of these concerns with us please call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 and will be happy to speak to you. Our goal is to answer all calls as fast as possible. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
      AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
      iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
       World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009