2. Medical Alert Systems
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.60/5

Philips Lifeline was the first to provide a personal alert service in North America and has remained the leading medical alert service in the U.S. At the press of a button, we enable fast, dependable, around-the-clock access to a Trained Care Specialist based in North America, who can respond quickly and dispatch the help you need. Our AutoAlert fall detection technology, available with both our in-home and mobile systems, features smart sensors that can identify most falls and quickly notify a Trained Care Specialist – even if you are unable to press the help button. Since 1974, more than 7.5 million people have counted on Philips Lifeline medical alert systems – and more than 200,000 healthcare professionals have recommended them.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Philips Lifeline offers products, services and caregiver resources to help people stay independent inside and outside their homes. Systems are competitively priced, and many include extra benefits like innovative location sensors.

PROS

• Fast response times
  • No long-term contract
  • Easy installation
  • Multilingual operators

CONS

• Not UL certified
  • Activation fees

Top Philips Lifeline Reviews

I live alone and my son thought that it would be a good idea for me to have the Philips Lifeline if I have an emergency. Wearing the device is very comfortable. I haven't had to use it, but it's wonderful that I have the device if I do need it...

Philips Lifeline gives me peace and security to know that all I have to do is push this little button and I would have help... It just hangs around my neck and I just go about my daily routine… I would highly recommend them.

What is Philips Lifeline?

Philips Lifeline offers medical alert systems that can be used inside or away from home. Philips Lifeline medical alert devices are waterproof and come with 24/7 multilingual emergency response services — with optional features like GPS, fall detection and cellular monitoring. Philips Lifeline costs more than some competitors, but they also offer additional features like automatic system tests to ensure all devices are functioning.

Philips Lifeline HomeSafe medical alert devices

Whether you’re indoors or outside, Philips Lifeline can get help 24/7 through two-way communication. The stationary or mobile alert system will detect falls and answer any call for help with calm reassurance while dispatching medical help and notify caregivers. Philips Lifeline systems utilize technology such as A-GPS, WiFi, audio beacons and location breadcrumbs.

Philips Lifeline HomeSafe Standard
  • $29.95 per month
  • One-time $50 activation fee

The HomeSafe Standard is an at-home device that can be used with landline or mobile phone service. The Philips Lifeline wristband or wearable pendant connects to the stationary box and instantly lets an emergency operator know that you need help.

Philips Lifeline HomeSafe with AutoAlert
  • $44.95 per month
  • One-time $50 activation fee

The Philips Lifeline HomeSafe with AutoAlert system comes with all of the features and benefits of the Standard model but also includes AutoAlert, a sensitive and advanced fall detection technology.

Philips Lifeline GoSafe
  • $54.95 per month
  • One-time $149 device fee

Philips Lifeline GoSafe is a wearable medical alert device that’s ideal for active adults who are frequently away from home. It includes GPS technology to identify your location and AutoAlert, a fall detection technology that’s reliable and consistent.

Philips Lifeline GoSafe 2
  • $49.95 per month
  • One-time $199.95 device fee

Philips Lifeline GoSafe2 is a smaller, lighter and simpler mobile alert system that operates with advanced location technology, two-way voice communication when help is needed, and fall detection technology.

About Philips Lifeline monitoring center

Response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. The company is staffed with 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per year. Operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching. Responders are English and Spanish speaking, but can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages. Most response times are 12 seconds or less, and they're available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Backup systems are in place to help callers stay connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Philips Lifeline caregiver tools

Philips Lifeline support is available to caregivers who want to know that the people they care about can always be reached during distress. Philips Lifeline offers caregivers several resources, like advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers like managing stress and self-care.

The benefits of Philips Lifeline online learning center are numerous and help you realize one of the most critical lessons — realizing you’re not alone in worrying about your loved one’s health. You’ll find access to helpful tools and information that can assist you with time and stress management and help you understand the technology available for medical alerts. You can discuss costs, monitoring and safety at home. You can also talk to people who may be able to advise you on the best products and services for your family’s unique situation.

Additional Philips Lifeline services

Philips Lifeline offers additional services that complement their in-home and on-the-go medical alert systems.

• Medication dispensing:  Philips LIfeline Medication Dispensing Service can help you manage complex or multiple medications. Flexible dispensing alerts remind you when it’s time to take a pill or recharge batteries. The cost is $59.95 per month.
  • Automatic weekly test: Included in your equipment order and service plan is automatic weekly testing. Philips Lifeline sends out weekly testing signals to monitor and ensure the system is functioning as it should. Philips Lifeline battery replacement service is available if needed.
  • Wireless cellular option: You don’t need a landline to access the emergency alert services provided. The wireless cellular option is through AT&T and provides reliable, fast connectivity.
  • Automatic fall detection: AutoAlert is the automatic fall detection created by Philips Lifeline. It will detect that you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button. It can be added to several of the service plans for an additional fee.
  • Location technologies: The available location technologies go beyond basic GPS. The mobile products include six different location technologies, and the service is included in the standard price. Using advanced methods like WiFi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon, your call for help will immediately identify where you are.

Philips Lifeline Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I'm satisfied with Philips Lifeline. I have a feeling that the new button I have is much more sensitive than the previous, and that’s good. That's the purpose of it. But I have to be so careful because I frequently, by mistake, hit it, and promote a call from them when I'm perfectly fine. I almost feel guilty because they have to answer and say, “Are you all right?” And I said, “Yes, I just hit it by mistake.” So I don't know if it would be any better if I had it on my wrist or not, but I really prefer it around my neck. But at night I put it on my walker right by my bed so I have it handy if I get up in the night, but I can't leave it on or I must have hit it even when I'm half-asleep.

Their response is always the same. They would say, “I would be with you soon.” They say that three times, and then they say that, “Yeah, you are connected or someone else would be there or speak to you.” Since I haven’t really needed them, I have no complaints. But I have to tell myself that they did answer much more quickly, and probably that’s good. But they didn’t give me a chance to get up. They said, “Are you all right? Can you get up?” And I said, “I think so. Give me a minute,” and they left me and called all my respondents. I thought that was a little over the top. I would have preferred if they had stayed with me because I couldn’t tell them, “I'm fine. I'm walking around. You don’t need to call anybody.”

But I'm thankful that I have coverage. They’ve always been there for me whether I need them or not. Overall, I'm very fortunate to have the device. But I really wish I could afford to have it so that when I go out of the building away from my home that I could have coverage as well. It would cost me about $10 more a month. I don’t go a lot, but when I go my balance is not good, so I'm a little nervous. I drive, but I'm very careful where I go and what the conditions are.

Philips Lifeline response

Margaret, thank you so much for taking the time to share this review with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad you wear your button and are satisfied. Our only concern is that you are alright, we do not mind accidental calls. Please be well, and take care!

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Philips Lifeline was pretty good in the beginning but then the last year, their equipment was failing. I can’t even tell how many buttons they’ve had to ship me and I no longer get a button because I have the one around my neck for fall purposes. I haven’t even had some of them a month and there has been trouble with them. Sometimes, I would have them a month and the reps from Philips would contact me and say it was showing low battery and something was defective, and they’re gonna send me another one. I’m waiting for one to come now. They told me they were replacing the one they just replaced and so, I’ve had a lot of mechanical issues with them. They gotta get on top of this thing.

Something happened with one of the buttons and I was having so much trouble with it. It was on the table and they would call me and ask if I was okay. I would tell them that I didn’t touch the button and nothing happened. Something was going on and I had a problem with it. It wouldn’t even be five minutes later and they would get me again saying they got another report of a fall. When I was telling them that it’s lying on the tale, nobody has touched it and no one was near it, I also told them that they needed to overnight me a button. They said no and that they would have to get a hold of someone. I told them that I couldn’t have them call and then have an ambulance show up. So, I had to shut the service down. For two or three days, I didn’t have it.

It happened four times at the most in the last year where I’ve had to shut the system right off and that’s not okay. I expressed to them that I didn’t like paying for a service and not getting it. I don’t even care if it’s 24 hours. I’m paying for it, I expect it. Also, when you have an issue and something goes down, you’ll have to call customer service. They only open on certain hours and not on weekends. I’ve had a couple of situations where I’ve called them and told them I have something going on and to make a note. They told me I needed to call customer. When you’re in a phone center, you need to know what’s going on and who the people are but the phone center does not wanna deal with it.

Philips Lifeline response

Bruce, thank you so much for taking the time share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline service. We are sorry for the frustration you have been feeling. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department for anything. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: March 23, 2019

About eight years ago, my mother-in-law became a widow and we moved her from California to Prattville, Alabama where we live. My wife and I both are still working, so we were concerned about her care while we were gone. She was not needing a live-in aide. She was able to get around with her walker, but we were looking for something in case she fell or in case she had an episode of some sort, and somebody at the church that we attend gave me a flyer about Philips Lifeline. My mother-in-law has had the medical alert device with Philips close to seven years now and it is a great peace of mind, granted it is around $60 a month. It is a good assurance, as well as insurance, that if something were to happen while we were gone, then we would be alerted quickly, as well as the authorities.

We put that to test here about three months ago when she fell. It was not a bad fall. It was more of slipping off of a chair and it wasn’t a big deal, but the whole system worked. The Fire Department came. The only problem that day was we had the Philips Lifeline lock on the door, as well as our own lock on the door with a key code, so it confused the Fire Department. They either had to break the door down or else come to the backyard, so they came to the backyard and found the door that was open. What we’ve done as a result of that was we removed the Philips Lifeline lock and we told Philips Lifeline, as well as the Fire Department, what the combination is to get in the house. Hopefully next time, that won’t be as much drama as it was before.

Everything has been outstanding with the representatives at Philips. In the early days, they would call once a month for a test. However, they’ve stopped doing that. They felt that it was not necessary anymore and we are okay with that. Anytime that we wanna do a test, we can. They are very courteous. And whenever we get an alarm or some indication on the system that is unusual or a red light that shouldn’t be on there, we call them up. For the most part, I can get a hold of somebody quickly during normal duty hours if it is not important. Oftentimes, they have to send a replacement part out and they would do that promptly at no charge because we pay the monthly fee. Everything has been really good and we couldn’t be happier.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Mother In Law's Philips Lifeline Service Tim. We are glad that having the service has provided peace of mind to you and your family. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department for any questions you may have. Our best to you and your family, Please be well, and take care!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I’m a retired United States Navy and I’m alone so I got the old-fashioned Philips Lifeline that was hooked to a landline. I was married to a wonderful school teacher in Missouri. She passed away, and I came to Hudson because my daddy was dying from cancer so we got separated that way too. I was a hospital corpsman and I was a medic so I have to do the right thing because they’re family. No nursing homes in my family.

I got an upgrade and it's a cellular one. I push the button and as long as I can get to them, they can help me wherever I am. I extended my range too. The last one was 1,500 feet from their transformer and I was supposed to sit unimpeded in my apartment. Now, I got the one around my neck and I can go wherever I wanna go as long as I keep that charged. I checked it once a month every month. My experience with Philips Lifeline is 100% great. Those people are always polite. They saved my bony bottom once. Smoke inhalation from my neighbor. I was in the hospital for five hours for respiratory therapy. The woman from Philips Lifeline was very nice. She stayed with me the whole time.

With Philips Lifeline, I sleep like a baby. I got nothing to worry about anymore. I live in a huge building and it’s supposed to be 133 units. Those people are the coldest creatures I’ve ever met. I’ve seen my fellow senior citizens who are older than I, they disappear for a couple of days and broke their morning routines. When his morning routine broke for the first day, people should have knocked on his door. But he laid there for days. I’m also Irish and we don’t take chances. If my life is what I make of it, I wanna live until my 90s like my grandpa did. Philips Lifeline is the best thing that man could ever invest and I’m a big supporter. They are number one and they’re like a bunch of angels.

Hello Robert,

Thank you so much for your review! Thank you so much for sharing your positive experiences with both our skilled team and your equipment! Thanks again Robert, and all the best!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I have asthma and arthritis in the lower back and I always told my kids that I don’t need a button because I can call 911 if I need to. One day, when I knew I needed help, I couldn't reach anyone because my phone wouldn’t work. It was the third time when I finally got the dial tone. Immediately, because I was in such a panic and I couldn't breathe, I didn't even dial 911. My fingers just started dialing the most familiar number that it knew and it was my son. He contacted the paramedics and had them come out. By the time the paramedics came out, I was able to breathe. I had an inhaler at the time and they got there. The first words out of my son’s mouth as he came through the door was if I was gonna fight him on the button. I resisted getting anything. I didn't think I needed it and then, when I needed something, it was a close call.

Philips’ customer service was wonderful. I have the button that I can wear and go anywhere now. Originally, I had just the button that stayed in my home. It was useful only when it was at home. I can go anywhere with this one and I can still get help. However, it takes so long for them to respond. Nevertheless, I still felt at peace because even if it took a while to reach them or for them to respond, once they're there, I’m no longer alone. I recommend Philips all the time. A lot of times, people will see the button and ask me what it is or why I have it. I always tell them that for me and my kids, it’s peace of mind. I live alone and all I have to do is push that button and I’m gonna get help. Philips Lifeline eased my mind from stress just knowing that there was somebody I could reach if I needed help.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Sharon. Please feel free to reach out reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions you have about how your mobile button works. Thank you so much for recommending us, we appreciate that. Please be well, safe, and take care!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I have Philips around my neck while my children have the thing where they can see everything I do. It's definitely one of the better things to have. I bumped it accidentally one time and they responded.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I've had Philips Lifeline for a long time and everything has been fine.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for the kind words Eileen. All the best.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Interacting with Philips Lifeline's team was a very good experience. I had a stroke and was able to push the button to get help.

Philips Lifeline response

Norma, thank you so much for taking time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline service. We are glad you were wearing your button and pressed it for help. We hope that you are doing alright now. Please be well, and take care!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My age led me to need a medical alert device. Philips Lifeline team is very responsive and very understanding when I hit the button by accident. The device is part of me now, and I feel more independent and confident.

Hello Carolyn,

Thank you for your kind words. Your feelings of greater independence and confidence as you go about your day to day is what we love to hear from our subscribers. We're glad to be a part of that. All the best Carolyn, and take care.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

The device is going fine so far. I live by myself and I'm in a retirement home. And so, I just have it here in case I need it. I've had it for a long time now.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience Phyllis. All the best!

Philips Lifeline FAQ

How does Philips Lifeline work?
    All of the Philips Lifeline systems are compatible with either landline or cellular phone service. Installation instructions are provided, and toll-free customer support is available if you have trouble getting started. Once it’s working, you’ll be able to press your help button or rely on the fall detection technology to alert the emergency operators at the call center. Operators will keep you calm and talk you through the situation while they dispatch medical help and contact your trusted family members or caregivers
    How does Philips Lifeline fall detection work?
    If you fall at your home or while you’re out, you might not be able to reach or press your help button. With Philips Lifeline fall detection, you’ll still have access to emergency response. Fall detection is an addition available to many of the products and services available. The system differentiates between actual falls and false alarms using accelerometers, barometric sensors and innovative algorithms. The AutoAlert technology immediately connects to the response center, even if you’re unconscious or unable to ask for help. It’s one of the most reliable fall detection technologies with 95 percent accuracy.
    Does Medicare cover Philips Lifeline?
    No, Medicare does not cover Philips Lifeline medical alert systems.
    What is Philips Lifeline’s average response time?
    Philips Lifeline average response time is 12 seconds.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Philips Lifeline medical alert system?
    No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Philips Lifeline.
    What is Philips Lifeline’s return policy?
    You can return your products within 30 days for a full refund provided they are in good condition. If you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $75 restocking fee.
    What is Philips Lifeline’s cancellation policy?
    If you want to cancel your order, contact Philips Lifeline customer service. There may be a $50 cancellation fee assessed.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Philips Lifeline monitoring service?
    Yes, you must purchase an additional pendant or wristband for your spouse, but there is no additional monthly charge.
    Where are Philips Lifeline monitoring centers located?
    Philips Lifeline monitoring response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada.
    Do Philips Lifeline emergency response services require a landline?
    No. Philips Lifelines have cellular options that do not require a landline.
    Does Philips Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, a warranty for your Philips Lifeline medical device is guaranteed for one year from the date of installation.
    Does Philips Lifeline offer a free trial period?
    No, Philips Lifeline does not offer a free trial period.
    Are Philips Lifeline medical alert systems waterproof?
    Yes, you can keep the Philips Lifeline pendant on while you’re showering or bathing.
    How much does Philips Lifeline cost?
    Philips Lifeline prices start at $29.95 per month. Keep in mind, Philips Lifeline medical alert systems have a one-time activation fee or device charge, plus a monthly subscription fee.

Do we recommend Philips Lifeline?

Yes. Philips Lifeline medical alert products are designed to help active adults, as well as the people who love and care for them. Philips LIfeline medical alerts provide aging adults with the security of having an immediate and simple way to communicate if medical help or other assistance is needed. There’s also a network of support available to caregivers and family members.

Philips Lifeline Company Information