Call toll free
4.63/5
Based on 1,263 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Philips Lifeline is the leading medical alert service in the U.S.. The Philips Lifeline medical alert service gives you fast, easy access to a trained response associate to request the help you want - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our AutoAlert fall detection technology automatically calls for help if a fall is detected – even if you are unable to push the help button. Over 7 million Americans have counted on Philips Lifeline to feel safe at home or on the go.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3293 Philips Lifeline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

My wife has a lot of medical problems. She's got a heart problem, a kidney problem, rheumatism and she's blind. There was this time when she was sleeping in the spare room bed, fell out and whacked her head on the bureau and had a big gash on her head. We were the only two in the house and I had just come back from shopping when that happened. So, I got a Philips Lifeline medical alert pendant for her which was more convenient for me to make sure that she had something in case I wasn't here.

Having the medical alert device with her gives me the peace of mind, knowing that she could punch it whenever she gets into a problem as long as she was conscious. When I leave, she usually puts the device on her neck and when I'm in the house, most of the time, she has it available close to her on a table. In addition, my wife calls every month and their people reply. Every time we have a conversation with them, they've been very polite and very helpful. We've never had an issue as far as the device not being functional and everything seems to be going well.

Philips Lifeline response

Hello John, thank you so much for your review. We're glad that Philips Lifeline has given you the peace of mind you need in caring for your spouse. All the best to you and your family John, take care.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I'm elderly and I live alone. Once, I fell and I thought I ought to have a Philips Lifeline medical alert. I've tested the device and the response was almost immediate. I've been satisfied and I'd recommend Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline response

Hello Margaret, Thank you for your review! We're glad you were able to get the help you needed! Also, thank you for seeing the Philips Lifeline service as one you'd recommend, and for being a valued subscriber. All the best Margaret, take care!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I wear my Lifeline device around my neck and it feels fine. One time, I fell and the Lifeline team responded to my call within minutes. Then they alerted my closest neighbors. I’m satisfied and I’m happy with what I’ve got.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I'm 91 years old and my daughter-in-law got me a Philips Lifeline medical alert device. I wear it around my neck and I've already used it several times. The first time was a couple of years ago. I was outside and I was working in the garden when I fell. I scrambled all over and I couldn't get up. Nobody else was around then. I pushed the button and an ambulance came in 10 minutes. I've also fallen several times in the house and they came right away once I passed out. It's been wonderful. I'm a lot more careful now than I used to be. Also, I have been able to talk to Philips Lifeline's team whenever they call me to see if I was all right and they have been very helpful and nice. I just don't know how to clean the string that goes around your neck. My neck and shoulders are really bad and I put cream on them, and the string has been getting really dirty.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

If I fall in the house and nobody was here, it’s better that I didn’t have to worry about it, so I got the Philips Lifeline device. I got the necklace and the one in the house and I have used it a few times and it has been good. The Philips Lifeline reps respond very quickly. One day, I had it on by mistake and they arrived at my house quickly. I was so embarrassed because the fire trucks came over to my house.

Philips Lifeline response

Elizabeth, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. We are sorry that you were embarrassed from the accidental call, our only concern on any call is that you are alright. We are glad that you have the service so you feel less worried. Please be well, and take care!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I've had my Philips Lifeline for about five years now, never had to use it but I’ve hit it several times accidentally. And they always respond real quickly. I keep it close to me most times and have introduced it to other people too. I tell them that I've had the service for years and that they need it too since they live by their selves. Also, I've tried to get my insurance to pay for it because I don’t make that much. My doctor even wrote the insurance people a letter and sent in a prescription for it, that the Philips Lifeline would be helpful for me, but my insurance refused to pay for it. But if I had a phone, I didn’t need one.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was having problems with my balance and my daughter took care of getting the Philips Lifeline for me. I wear it around my neck and they call if they know that I’m having a problem like if I have fallen. I wish that it would work outside though.

Philips Lifeline response

Hello Evie, thank you for your review. Did you know we have a mobile button that works outside, and even away from your home? If you and your daughter would like more information about the Gosafe Mobile Button, please give our team a call at 800-635-6156. All the best Evie, and take care.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I can't live without my Philips Lifeline. I live by myself and I have it for when I fall, and when I do, I'm usually able to push the button and it doesn't take long for the Lifeline team to respond. I tried using the bracelet but it was always going off, so I chose to wear it around my neck. It's comfortable and it doesn't go off so much.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My daughter got me Philips Lifeline and I wear it all the time. Now, I feel safer when I’m alone. Some time ago, I fell on the porch as I was getting the mail in but then the mailman came by and lifted me while I was trying to talk to them. So I came in and told them I was fine. The customer service was great. The only thing I worry about is they call my kids and my kids never answer their phones. I asked them to send a text instead but they said that they can’t do that. I often wonder how it would work if I fell down and knocked out a little bit or if I had a stroke, then I wouldn’t be able to press the button. Still, I’m 97 and I gotta have one, which is the thing to do. So while I haven’t had much experience with it, it seems fine to me. I’m also pleased with it.

Philips Lifeline response

Marjorie, thank you for taking the time to provide a review to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. We are glad to hear that you wear your button, and that you feel safer having the service. Please never hesitate to call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions you have. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

When my husband died, I realized that I’m alone and I don't have anyone who would check in on me regularly, and I could fall in the middle of the night and lie there for days before anybody finds me. I have been using Philips Lifeline for a few years and since signing up for their service, I feel more secure. It’s a good thing for most older people if they live alone. I wear the alarm around my neck and the string around it is visible in my V-necks which bothers me. But I don't want the watch because I could fall and be lying on it and not be able to reach it.

I’ve had some false alarms the few times that I do gardening as I move up and down a lot. They sent me a new device and it seems to be very sensitive that sometimes when taking my top off when dressing, it swings the alarm around and it goes off. Whenever that happens, their team responds quickly and I always find them very helpful. I'm glad it’s a call center in the U.S. as it’s a big marketing point for them. I’m not talking to somebody from another country who may or may not understand me.

Philips Lifeline response

We are so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband Barbara. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. We are glad to hear that you wear your button, and that you feel more secure living alone. Please be well and take care!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had a bad fall after I had the open heart surgery so I got a Philips Lifeline. Their reps answered all my questions and they were very nice. Also, there's no problem wearing the device. I don't even know I have it on me.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I live by myself and I heard about Philips Lifeline through friends. Getting the Philips Lifeline gives a good feeling for security. One time, I was in my backyard and when I bent over, the button went off and then the ambulance came out. I’m very glad that I got the Philips Lifeline and I tell my friends who are getting older that they should get something like this. It’s a nice thing to rely on. If you should fall, you know that someone’s gonna be out there immediately.

Philips Lifeline response

Grace, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. We are glad to hear that you feel more secure. Thank you for recommending us as well, we really appreciate that. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I wear my Philips Lifeline around my neck and it’s very comfortable. I've tested it and thought their response time was good. I feel safer with it and anyone living alone ought to have one. I always recommend Philips Lifeline. I tell people who have lost their husbands what wonderful devices they are, that it could bring help very soon, no matter if they needed help from the police department or the rescue squad.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My Philips Lifeline is a wonderful safety device. I have a disease that causes me to fall and it was recommended to me by the nursing home where my husband was a patient. Since getting it, I've had excellent interactions with their reps and their response time when it goes off has been very good.

Hello Debra,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our service. We're glad all of your interactions with our skilled team have been excellent, and will continue to strive for that excellent service. All the best Debra, and thank you!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I am a senior and I have had tons of surgery. I have metal in my left leg all the way up to below my knee, where it's been fused together. I've had a knee replacement on the right leg, I have a rod in my back and both of my shoulders have work on them. I have more metal in my body than I do in my car and that's why I have Philips. One time, I could not get off the stool, so I had to crawl into the bedroom on my hands and knees and push the button for them to come and get me up. Their response time was perfect. They called my daughter first and she called and told me that the ambulance was on its way.

However, the new thing that I have for my neck is very sensitive and it goes off without me even knowing it's going off. I just barely touch it and it will go off. One day last week, I took a shower. I was in my bedroom getting dressed and the fire department showed up in my bedroom. They had a good sight and that was embarrassing. Other than that, I am pleased with Philips and I have already given their information to a friend of mine.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience Jean. We are sorry to hear that you have been through so much. We are glad to hear that you wear your button, and thank you for recommending us. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions you may have. Please take care!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I had several incidents that my husband had to call the fire department before, but then he passed away in 2013. I’m a diabetic and I thought my husband is not here anymore and what would happen if I pass out. So that was when I decided I needed a Philips Lifeline because the incidents were the kind of thing where I passed out and I fell. Also, the Philips Lifeline reacts not only when you touch it but also if you fall and that’s why I chose them. I wear it in the house all the time knowing that if I do have a low blood sugar and pass out, it will work. I don’t have to press it that’s why I feel secure in it. But I wish that that my device was the kind that I could drive and I would be away from the facility I live in and be able to use it.

It wasn’t working for two months before which was my fault because I didn’t call on anybody. I was sent a new one and I tried to install it and it didn’t work. I didn’t think they had anybody locally to come. I finally got around to call in the company and they informed me they would send somebody out which delighted me. The guy they sent out was very nice and he found out that the reason I couldn’t install the new one by myself was it had a fault. He undid what I started, put the old one in place, and made it work. Now, everything’s fine because I just tested it the other day to be sure. Everybody has been very cooperative.

Philips Lifeline response

Pauline, we are so sorry for the loss of your husband, thank you for taking the time to provide a review to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. We are glad to hear that you wear your button, and that you feel more secure. Please never hesitate to call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions you have on our other products. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I got a medical alert device due to my terrible balance and went for the Philips Lifeline. The doctor’s office ordered that for me and whenever the device goes off, the Philips Lifeline team calls my kids and tell them about it. Though I didn't plan on it, I've hit the device a couple of times. During those times I could have been getting undressed and forgotten that the device was hanging on me then it would fall to the floor. Also, while it fits my everyday lifestyle well, I take it off at night because I keep bumping it automatically. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to a friend and I've also tried to get my sister to get one.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I’m 94 years old and I had open-heart surgery when I was 90. I was by myself and I had fallen a couple of times, and my kids felt I needed a medical alert device. I wear the Lifeline around my neck and it is very comfortable. The only time it’s off of my neck is if I’m going to the doctor or the church. I feel safer and more independent since I got Philips 'cause even if I sit down hard, it would go off and somebody will call right away and check on me. They have been very polite and courteous. I’ve had a good experience and I’m very pleased. I would want everybody to have one and I would recommend them to anybody. Anybody would benefit from ‘em because it’s so quick when we fall and we don’t know it’s happening until we’re down. We're also in a mess if we’re by ourselves and can’t get up.

Philips Lifeline response

Hello Margy, Thank you so much for your review. We're glad you trust Lifeline enough to recommend the service. As an independent senior, we know how important it is to you to get the help you need, when you need it. Thank you for trusting Lifeline with that responsibility. All the best Margy, and take care.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

The Philips Lifeline device is only good for 500 feet around my house and I really would like to have one of the newer models where I could go shopping and I could take it with me all the time. Also, the manufacturing of the unit is not good. I got one and I had to send it back. The service with the people that answer the phone in case of an emergency though is very good. One night, it has gone off because I laid on it when I was sleeping. I've had Philips Lifeline for quite a few years and they have not kept pace with other companies. Whoever is managing that area of the company has not done a very good job. I've kept mine as it's just easier to keep it than turn it in and find something else.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

About seven years ago, I had a heart attack. I’m here on my own in San Antonio, so I figured a medical alert device was a good thing to have until they had gotten a hold of my family who’s out of town. I had gotten my Philips Lifeline through the MedicAlert people and since then, I've been feeling a bit more secure and independent with it. However, I think there was a defect in the device a while back and they sent a replacement button to a lot of people. Also, while it’s a good thing to have, it’s a sensitive button. Still, their team has been very nice when I tell them that I didn’t fall and the button was just flung.

One time, I happened to be outside and there were a few steps I had to walk up. I didn’t even know what happened. They called me on my cell phone and I said that I didn’t fall and thanked them for calling. Thank God they had gotten me on the cell phone and that they didn’t send someone to the house. I appreciate that they’re there and they’re always very courteous if it’s a false call. I recommend this company.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I tested the button once after I put it on and they had a quick response time. I wear it around my neck and never take it off other than to scrub it when I take a shower. I sit on a stool, hold the Philips Lifeline in, wash the cord, lay it outside of the tub and put it back on again when I get out. I've had it for four months and I'd recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

After I had lost my husband four years ago, my brother made me get a Philips Lifeline. I live on my own and I have the occasional fall and I need help getting up. I have fallen and hurt myself before now. Since having the device, I feel secure. However, I do not feel so secure when the batteries go and I have to wait 10 business days to two weeks for the replacement. I get a bit annoyed about that. Particularly the last time, I didn’t receive any notification about the battery going out and it was very annoying.

On the other hand, I've had very good interactions with the team. They’ve always been very helpful, cool, calm and collected, and very polite. While the device fits in pretty well, I get a little bit annoyed with myself sometimes when I knock the button on anything. If I knock it on the corner of a cupboard or if I’m getting stuff out of the washing machine, then I feel like I’m wasting their time. Whenever they call, they clarify that I’m okay. So, if you're considering the Philips Lifeline, then get one.

Philips Lifeline response

We are so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband Marjorie. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. We are glad to hear that you wear your button, and that you feel safer having the service. Please never hesitate to call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions or concerns that you have. We do not mind accidental calls, our only concern is that you are alright. Please be well and take care!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My mother doesn’t like wearing the device because when it goes off accidentally, she's embarrassed when the people call. It's motion activated and most of the time, it has gone off by accident. Their response time has been usually good and the reps were very professional. I feel good about having Philips Lifeline. It makes me feel more secured. I'm glad my mom has it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My mother is 98 and at the time when she got Lifeline, she was here by herself. My preacher’s wife’s mother had the same type of device and they’re the ones that recommended it to us. I live next door to my mother, but I pretty much stayed with her all the time now. We were just concerned because I was still working at the time, and I retired last year just to take care of her. Also, we were concerned about her falling and not being able to get to the telephone or at nighttime when she was down here by herself. She walks around the house with her walker, so she does pretty well. But she feels more comfortable having the device too.

My mother chose the one that goes around her neck. She has had a mastectomy and one time the button kinda got under her arm and went off. But, she feels comfortable with it. I feel at ease with her having the device, especially if I’m not here. Sometimes I’ll go run an errand for a couple hours. One night, a couple of years ago before I stayed with her, she was having difficulty breathing and she couldn’t think to call me, so she just pushed her Lifeline. Then they called me and I was right down here. We got her to the hospital so it has worked well for emergencies.

Their response was quick. After it says that they’re connecting with an operator, it’s just a matter of seconds before someone comes on. One time, the light on the unit out in the hallway was flashing, and I called and asked what that was because I have never seen it flashed. The reps were really nice to tell me that it was just the battery that was low and in a matter of so many hours, it went out. Every time we talked to them, they were very nice. Also, Lifeline may send for a new button every year to replace the one that she has and we send the old one back. We highly recommend Lifeline and we have recommended it to my mother's niece. We’ve been very satisfied with it.

Philips Lifeline response

Hello Betty, Thank you so much for your review of the Philips Lifeline Service. We're glad that we're able to be a partner in the care of your mother, and that both she and you have found peace of mind in her wearing button. Thank you too, for recommending the service to friends and family. All the best to you and your mother Betty, and take care!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I feel safer with my Philips Lifeline. I wear it around my neck and hardly realize it’s there. I have accidentally pushed it and their response times were all good except one. In one, I had to wait a good long while and felt that I could’ve died while waiting. Evidently, they had a lot of calls. Still, the device is comfortable and I would recommend Philips.

Hello Virginia,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry for the extended wait period that you experienced. Please don't hesitate to give our team a call if you experience something similar in the future. Our team can be reached by calling 800-635-6156. Still, we're glad to hear your experience has been largely positive, and you would recommend our service to friends and family. Thank you Virginia for being a valued customer. All the best, and take care!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My daughter was afraid that I'd fall down the stairs and she purchased a Philips Lifeline for me. I feel very secure using it. The device has gone off many times and their response time has been wonderful.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience June. We are glad to hear that you wear your button, and that you feel secure using the service. Please take care!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I’m 90 years old and I have a bilateral macular degeneration. I walk around in a mist and I have to be extremely careful. This is one of the reasons that the Lifeline is really important and the only way I can leave my home is if somebody goes with me. If I fall, I would need immediate assistance because of my visceral problems. I’ve had Philips Lifeline around my neck for at least five years. At first, the Lifeline didn’t help because it was only in the house and the cord was very ugly and it starts pulling on my skin. Older adults have significant problems because the skin is very sensitive. I used to take the lifeline off until I tripped.

At the beginning of July, I tripped twice. My daughter had to come over and call the paramedics to pick me up off the floor. She told me not to go to bed without he Lifeline. But now, my house is all on one level which was something I insisted when we moved. The Lifeline is fine and I don’t go anywhere except in the house and I don’t do much moving around. I used to be a social worker and I would insist that my clients get a medical alert device especially if they were out and walking because they can get seriously injured if they fall or somebody walks into them as older adults can be very fragile. I also go four days a week and answer the phone at my daughter’s shop. I am transported back and forth and the people at the regional transportation will insist on walking me up to the door, which I really don’t need but they feel that it is better.

The Lifeline makes my children feel that I’m safer. And for me, that’s the most important thing that it can do. As we age, we have a responsibility to make certain that the family doesn’t sit and the phone’s gonna ring and they’re gonna jump out of their skins. Philips Lifeline is doing very well. Although it is a little expensive because there is a similar device for $35 a month but Philips was recommended. The Lifeline can bring in human assistance if you run into trouble.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience Stella . Thank you for choosing our service, we are glad to hear that you wear your button, and that you feel more secure. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions you may have about your account. Please take care!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I decided to get a medical alert device for any time that I fall, I’m gonna press the button. I have had my Philips Lifeline for years and their people are wonderful. I have it around my neck and I'm grateful that I have it. If anyone asks about my device, I would tell them to get one.

Philips Lifeline response

Ann, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. Thank you for being with us for so long, and we are glad you and happy with your service. Thank you for letting us know you would recommend us, we appreciate that. Please be well and take care!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The hospital suggested Philips Lifeline and we feel better as long as she's using it. Their response time has been good, and we're happy with Philips.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My daughter wanted me to have Philips Lifeline so I got the device about four years ago. When I test it, the response isn't more than a minute which is good. One time, I had to quickly call an ambulance for my wife and I punched down on the device because it was easier than the phone. I now live alone and I feel safer that I have it, but when I'm working outside, I don't use it because I’m afraid that I’ll drop it and don’t know where I dropped it at.

Philips Lifeline response

Hello John. Thank you for your comments. As an Thank you for being a valued Lifeline Subscriber. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call our team at 800-635-6156. All the best John, and take care.

Philips Lifeline expert review by Shelley Webb

With more than 7 million subscribers and 40 years of experience, Philips Lifeline is an industry leader in monitored medical alert systems.

• They offer two-way communication: Technicians initiate contact when the help button is depressed, offering prompt assessment of the situation and dispatching help as needed.

• Pricing is affordable for most: The monthly subscription fee is one of the least expensive among medical alert systems at less than $30 per month.

• No phone is needed: Many systems require the use of a landline in order to call the operator. Lifeline does not need home phone service, making the system even more affordable.

• Unmonitored service is not available: Not every wearer needs the level of service offered by monitoring. An unmonitored option is typically less expensive and preferable for the recently retired.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons with newly diagnosed or severe epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Philips Lifeline Company Information

MA
855-276-7761
www.lifeline.philips.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business