4.65/5
Based on 1,155 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Philips Lifeline is the leading medical alert service in the U.S.. The Philips Lifeline medical alert service gives you fast, easy access to a trained response associate to request the help you want - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our AutoAlert fall detection technology automatically calls for help if a fall is detected – even if you are unable to push the help button. Over 7 million Americans have counted on Philips Lifeline to feel safe at home or on the go.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Last updated: April 15, 2018

2886 Philips Lifeline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 15, 2018

I’m handicapped and I’m staying in bed alone all the time, so I needed a medical alert just in case. The lady that takes care of me picked out the Philips Lifeline. It runs the same no matter what, day to day, and I feel safer. I have only used the Philips Lifeline by mistake, and their response was within a minute and the people were very nice and helpful.

Philips Lifeline response

Mida, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service. We are so happy to hear that you feel safer, and have not had to use it yet. Please be well, and take care!

551,441 savvy shoppers have a headstart. Don't miss out.

Get trending news stories and exclusive consumer resources straight to your inbox.

We respect your privacy, unsubscribe easily.
Original review: April 15, 2018

My husband won't wear the Philips necklace because he’s a man and real men don’t wear it. But it was a good idea and is a good product. The representatives that assisted me in setting that up was fine.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Husbands Philips Lifeline service Joan. We hope that he will change his mind and wear his button, many of our subscribers are men and they use the service every day. Our best to you and your husband, please take care!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I needed a medical alert device and got a Philips Lifeline. I wear it around my neck now. I lost a lot of weight and I’m so skinny, and I wish I could keep it on my arm. I don’t like it on my wrist and I spend half of my time pushing it back up my arm. I had a bad fall a couple of months ago and I needed to push the help button but forgot that I had it in my household. I'm 104 and forget things sometimes. If I could remember when I need it, I would push it. But I'm getting up and pretty well. I depend on my Lifeline and I would recommend it.

Hello Margaret,

Let me first say congratulations on being 104! Margaret, we certainly understand your concerns about forgetting to push your button if you should fall. I would ask that you give our customer service a call at 1-800-635-6156 to discuss options you might find useful in that situation. Again Margaret, congratulations on such an incredible milestone, and all the best!

Original review: April 14, 2018

The wristband has a low battery. It's flickering and flickering and nothing is being done about it. The last time, Philips Lifeline sent me a new wristband and I had sent the old one back. The phone is working but the problem is the battery. Philips Lifeline keeps telling me it's a low battery. The first one I had when I first got the device lasted a long time but this new one lasts for maybe a year. It goes fast. I worry about it because if I should have anything go wrong, with my battery dead, I can’t get a hold of them. That’s why I like to have it replaced. But I feel secure with the device and I would recommend it. I’m living by myself and my son and his wife persuaded me to get one.

Philips Lifeline response

Preston,Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service. We have passed your information along to our Customer Service Department, and a representative will follow up with you in regard to your button concern. Please never hesitate to call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any future questions or concerns. Please be well, and take care!

Original review: April 14, 2018

Marjorie has Alzheimer’s and she was falling a lot. She was also calling 911 a lot and getting the cops over here when she experienced somebody was breaking in the house. So we wished somebody would start staying with her 24 hours a day. Her son also got her a Philips Lifeline and she wears it about everyday. Now she’s not afraid to be alone anymore. We leave her by herself much but with that thing around her neck, she feels like she’s protected and she knows she can get help if she needs it. Lifeline is very helpful and if you have somebody in the family that needs it, get it.

Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our service and how it has improved Marjorie's comfort level when she's alone. Please take care, and wishing Marjorie all the best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 14, 2018

I broke a hip and I would slide and fall. And I got the Philips Lifeline, but it’s really more expensive than what I was thinking it would be. It was supposed to be about 29 and it wound up being about 40, which I didn’t like. And also, it’s not right to sign up for something and receive it through the mail when you can’t get to the mailbox. I feel a little safer with my device, though. I have the button and it’s pretty comfortable. So far, I’m satisfied.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you Mary for taking the time to share your feedback about your Philips Lifeline. Please feel free to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions or concerns you may have about your billing and what other options might be available to you.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I am 88 and I've had Philips Lifeline for a long time although I've never used it. Somebody just told me about it, I got it and I've been very pleased with it. The one thing I have done was change the black card that I had around my neck with the device on it and got a chain. I know how my device works because they test it all the time and I am glad it works so well. I would definitely recommend Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline response

Katherine, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this review to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service. We want to let you know the cords that come on our buttons have a piece on the side that breaks away for safety. We are glad you wear it and are pleased with the service. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I'm 81 years old, I live by myself and I needed something. Philips Lifeline was offered to us here by the pueblo and I'm glad I got it. I'm happy with it. The only problem is I always press it by mistake when I lean over sometimes. But other than that, their team has been good with me and I feel confident that I have the device available to me. I would recommend it to a friend.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I wear my Philips Lifeline device around my neck and the only problem is, occasionally, my neck gets a little sore from the strings. But I never notice the device until I need it. My cat occasionally steps on it and it would go off, but they were very nice about it. But I was puzzled by what happened a couple of months ago when it hit the floor and it didn't go off, but the company didn’t charge us for a month’s service. Other than that, all my experiences have been positive. I tell others about how well my device works and that I wear it all the time and I don’t have to take it off for baths.

Hello Sallie,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Lifeline Service and for recommending it to others. We're always happy to hear how The Lifeline service has helped our consumers. All the best, and do take care.

Original review: April 13, 2018

For a while, I had a tendency to fall. To ensure my safety, I spoke with my family and having a medical alert device seemed to be a practical approach. Philips Lifeline has been excellent. I've always felt very safe and comfortable and their unit reinforces that. It's been more than adequate. I'd recommend Philips Lifeline to anybody who falls.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service Lillian. We are so happy that you feel safe and comfortable having it. We appreciate you sharing that you would recommend us as well. Please be well and take care!

Original review: April 12, 2018

The Philips Lifeline thing is $37.50 a month and I can’t keep my wife wearing it. Right now so it won’t be doing her much good. Also, we got a phone call one day about a month ago and they said that our light went off indicating that somebody had fallen but we were sitting at the table so that was a malfunction in the system. But we feel more confident whenever she’s wearing it. I would tell my friends to try it and see how it works.

Philips Lifeline response

Leonard, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us in regard to your Wife's Philips Lifeline service. We are so glad to hear that you feel more confident having the service . Please never hesitate to reach out the our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions or concerns. Please be well and take care!

Original review: April 12, 2018

Steve falls and he needed a medical alert device. He has Philips Lifeline for two years now and he wears it when I'm not at home. With Philips, it's like having an insurance policy. Hopefully, you'll never have to use it. Steve wears the device around his neck and so far, we have used it only once. He fell and they couldn't get him up. Philips got in touch with my daughter and my grandson, then they came and got him up quickly.

Whoever talked to me said they would call the fire department but they didn't have to because they got in touch with my daughter and grandson and they took care of him. I realized that that might not always be the case because they work. But I know that if Philips couldn't get my daughter or someone that is connected with us, they would send somebody else. My only concern is, if Steve had to call them and I wasn't home, the house would be locked and they would have to break down a door or something. That might bother me more than anything. But that's not their fault or mine and I hope it never comes to that. .

Original review: April 12, 2018

Years ago when my husband was still living but was already ill my family thought he should have a life alert device just in case something happened to him. So we got a Philips Lifeline then. And the now that I'm living on my own they also thought I should have one. That’s been about 12 years ago. I’m satisfied with it. This morning, I accidentally pushed the button and I got the emergency people over here. I was also satisfied with my interaction with them.

Hello Rosemary,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I'm glad you've been given the peace of mind you and your family need as an independent senior. Please be well and take care.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Philips Lifeline works. I got it due to my age and I started getting a little dizzy at times walking. I’ve used it a couple of times. I fell one time and when I pushed the button, someone came on the line and they were very helpful. Also, the response time was very good. The medical alert device is part of me now.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I'm 84 years old and after all my surgeries and hospital stays, it made good sense to have a medical alert device. I can't walk and I'm in a wheelchair, from which I have fallen two or three times, and I can get by a little bit with a walker but not safely. I have used my Philips Lifeline only once. It works and I love it. Every now and then, I'd run a test on it too and I have no complaints whatsoever. I'm pleased with it.

Hello Sharon,

We're sorry to hear about the falls you've experienced, but I'm glad the Lifeline service is there for you should you ever need it in the future. Do take care of yourself, and be well.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I had a leg amputated and having Philips Lifeline gives me confidence in case I fall. I recommend it to people.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service Kenneth. We are so glad that you have more confidence having the service. Thank you for also recommending us, we appreciate that. Please take care!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I had a bad accident and I passed out, and my daughter who has been a nurse for 47 years decided that I should have a Philips Lifeline. I wear my device and it’s there if I need it. I’ve only had to use it twice. I’m 89 years old and I have fallen twice. I’m in the elderly housing and they got me help right off. I used my device right off and it wasn’t very long before I got a response. The representatives I spoke with after I pushed the button were very polite and very understanding. If someone tells me that they’ve been hurt and they’re afraid to go berrying, I suggest, “Why don’t you get a lifeline?” I would recommend them. It’s the only one I’ve ever used and I feel that they’ve always been there when I needed them.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My husband passed away and my granddaughter didn't want me to be alone in the house. At the time, the medical alert company was run by Eastern New Mexico Medical Center and I had them until Philips Lifeline took over. I have my device for six years now but I haven't had to use it for an actual emergency which I'm very thankful for. A couple of times, it had been put in my washing machine and I hit the button. Their response was real quick and the reps I spoke to were very nice. I wear the device around my neck and I had problems when it kept buzzing all the time, flickering on and off. Then, when my niece and her husband were visiting me, he called Philips. Apparently, I had the device for so long so they replaced it and told my niece's husband how to package up the old one. Then they said they would pick it up by FedEx, which they did.

Philips Lifeline response

We are so sorry for your loss Virginia.Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service. We are glad that you have been well, and thank you for being with us for 6 years. Please be well and take care!

Original review: April 10, 2018

My nephew talked me into getting a Philips Lifeline. I’m here all alone and having it makes me feel comfortable especially if I need somebody in case of emergency. I’m satisfied with my Philips Lifeline.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I’m 93 and I live alone. We thought I needed some kind of help so we purchased a Philips Lifeline. I wear it here in the house all the time and when I take a shower. It's comfortable and I feel safer with it. One time, they came out with the ambulance and took me to the emergency. Their response was prompt. There was also a time that I have accidentally pressed the button as I leaned against the counter and it went off. They responded right away and asked if I fell. I told them everything was okay. The rep who I spoke to was very good. I would recommend Philips Lifeline. So far, I’m satisfied with mine and it’s a good service.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service Wilma. We are so glad that you feel safer and more comfortable with your service. Thank you for also letting us know that you would recommend us as well. Please take care!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I’m 91 years old and living alone. And I was having health problems, so my daughter thought I needed a medical alert device. Though I’m healthier now than I was when I requested the Philips Lifeline, I feel safer with it because I live out in the country and you never know who’s gonna drive down the lane. Whenever I report in or their reps call me, they’re very nice. It costs a little but it’s worth it. The device is convenient for me and it’s a peace of mind. You know it’s there if you do have an emergency.

Hello Lorraine,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to us about your experiences with the Lifeline Service. We're happy that the service has allowed you to feel safer living where you do, and that our representatives have always provided you with a pleasant experience. All the best Lorraine, and be well.

Original review: April 9, 2018

My husband worked for Phillips Petroleum Company for 43 years, and I have had Philips Lifeline for a long time now. I have always worn it around my neck and I haven’t ever doubted that we needed it. A lot of my friends were either married to a Phillips man or they worked for Phillips themselves. And of course, one by one they’re dying as we get older. I’m 97 years old. I’ve always felt very comfortable and secure because I have it. It would take care of any expenses that I had because of an accident or any illness. It is also automatically drafted from my paycheck. I do not like to write a check every month for it. Overall, I would recommend them.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had a stroke and I have to walk with a walker. And having my medical alert device from Philips Lifeline gives my daughter a sense of security. I wear my device and my experience has been fine except that the control thing is in my kitchen and my bedroom is on the other end of the house. So, when it goes off and I have to answer it, it's annoying. It usually goes off around 6:00 or 7:00 and it's completely on the other end of my house. So, I actually get up out of bed and get my walker and get in there. When my son-in-law comes over, maybe I can get him to switch it closer here.

Philips Lifeline response

June, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service. We want you to be aware if the machine goes off in the other room, if you are near a phone, you can pick up the phone and tell us you are alright. We do not want you to rush into the other room. Please be well and take care!

Original review: April 9, 2018

I’m by myself and I have a problem with falling so I needed a medical alert device. I was trying to decide which one to get but since I live in Platte County, the Platte County Senior Fund helps me pay for Philips. I leave the button on around my neck all the time even when I go out. One day, I was down at the restaurant with a friend of mine and all of a sudden, I got a phone call from my stepson and he told me Philips was looking for me. I didn't hit the button and I'm not home so it wouldn't work anyway. They came over to my house but the doors were locked so they broke a window to get in and they checked to make sure that I wasn’t on the floor. They checked and that was good. When I was leaving the house, I must have accidentally hit the button downstairs when I was going out the garage door. I didn’t know I hit it because I had no way to hear it and so I had no way to turn it off.

Mine is set up so that I can hear it if I walk out to the mailbox and if I walk out to the back where I take my trash, I can use those distances so that’s good. I'm glad they did what they did because I know they were looking for me. And they didn't get the response that they were supposed to get, so they kept looking and that's fine. I have to test it once a month and everybody who responds has been very nice. I had to have them come out one day to pick me up off the floor because I fell and I couldn’t get up. I had the alarm in my pocket and it did not go off. So, I let it go and I have one of those toppers to the mattresses, and I had a queen size bed in here, and I switched to one of the long twin beds that I can raise the top and raise the bottom. The top that I had on the queen size bed was on the floor and I managed to get it over and lay down on there and took a nap for a while. I hit the button later.

When they came, I couldn't get to the door. I could have slid my butt across the floor but I didn't want to do that. So when they came, I told them to go up to the side door. I haven't fixed the glass and I told them to push the cardboard in and use that door. I can manage with all of this. I just have to put a key somewhere but I don't like putting keys outside because that’s not safe either. People have asked me about Philips Lifeline and I've told them my experience and it works wonderfully. There may be others out there that are good but I’m perfectly happy with what I’ve got.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I live by myself and I have heart trouble. I'm not feeling good anymore since I had a heart failure and I had to be put me in a pacer or defibrillator. I really needed a medical alert so I got Philips Lifeline. I love it and I've had it for three years now. I wear the device around my neck and I never take it off even when taking a shower. One time, I had diarrhea and I had to call their reps. They came fast and they were good to me. Also, they check the device every now and then. They ring me and I call them back. My husband's dead and it makes me feel better and safer. However, they hadn't called me lately and checked it but it's still working. Overall, Philips is good.

Philips Lifeline response

Nancy, we are so sorry for the loss of your husband. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us in regard to your Philips Lifeline service. We are so glad that you wear it all the time. We are glad you feel better and safer having the service. Take care!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I live alone and my daughter didn't want me to be alone. She wanted me to a protection and got me a Philips Lifeline. It is expensive. I'm paying out $50 a month uselessly but my loved ones insisted on me having it. I wish it would be reduced a bit for me because I am on a very small income with my Social Security. I wear it all the time but I haven't had the opportunity to use it. However, I have accidentally contacted their reps a couple of times. I must have hit the button and their reps wanted to know if I needed help, and I said it was an accident.

Hello Judith,

Thank you for reaching out to share some of your concerns. Please feel free to give Lifeline a call at 800-635-6156 to discuss what other pricing and service options might be available to you.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I had no problem with my interactions with Philips Lifeline's reps. They have been good. Philips Lifeline is the best. I would tell my friends to try it.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I'm very satisfied with Philips Lifeline. There was a time I couldn't walk and get around. I kept falling, too. A home help nurse and a physical therapist was coming to see me, giving me therapy and trying to see if I could get strong because I'd be here sometimes by myself. I got a Philips Lifeline device and I wear it around my neck. It's comfortable and I don't even know I got it on. I even sleep in it. It's getting hard to get in and out the bed. My feet are numb, and I slip and fall really quickly. The Philips team has been fine. The minute I make a mistake and bump it without knowing, someone speaks right then.

Original review: April 8, 2018

When I went into apartment living, I was alone. I wanted to be secure so I got a Philips Lifeline as a precaution. I'm glad to have it and I'm very satisfied with it. I’m comfortable with it and it gives me a secure feeling. Their team has been great as well.

Hello Marie,

Thank you for your comments on the service. We're glad that Lifeline has provided you the peace of mind you need as a senior who lives alone. Please take care, and all the best.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had congestive heart failure so I needed a medical alert device. I just researched the different ones and Philips seemed to be a better grade than some of the other ones. I’m glad to know that I have it and it’s working fine. I hit it by mistake and they called up. But it wasn’t an emergency so I just told them what was happening. And the response was prompt.

Hello Louise,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Even when you push it by mistake, we will always be there for you. Be well, and take care.

Philips Lifeline expert review by Shelley Webb

With more than 7 million subscribers and 40 years of experience, Philips Lifeline is an industry leader in monitored medical alert systems.

• They offer two-way communication: Technicians initiate contact when the help button is depressed, offering prompt assessment of the situation and dispatching help as needed.

• Pricing is affordable for most: The monthly subscription fee is one of the least expensive among medical alert systems at less than $30 per month.

• No phone is needed: Many systems require the use of a landline in order to call the operator. Lifeline does not need home phone service, making the system even more affordable.

• Unmonitored service is not available: Not every wearer needs the level of service offered by monitoring. An unmonitored option is typically less expensive and preferable for the recently retired.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons with newly diagnosed or severe epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Philips Lifeline Company Information