2. Medical Alert Systems

4.6/5 (291 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
    • Multiple location technologies
    • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
    • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Top Lifeline Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. … Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall...

Verified

... I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the ...

Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Lifeline?

Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers home-based and mobile medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices contact a 24-hour monitoring center that can send help to the user.

The company, originally called Lifeline Systems and then Philips Lifeline, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards since then.

About Lifeline monitoring center

Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Lifeline caregiver tools

Lifeline offers caregivers multiple resources, including advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

The Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. This app also lets users share notes and updates on their well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.

Lifeline medical alert costs

Lifeline’s prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that additional upfront fees are usually required.

HomeSafe StandardHomeSafe with AutoAlertGoSafe 2
    Monthly fee$29.95 or $43.95$44.95 or $58.95$49.95
    Device fee$0$0$99.95
    Activation fee$50$50$0
    Installation fee$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99
    Cancellation fee$50$50$50

Lifeline FAQ

Lifeline medical alert systems can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a response center. Its monitoring centers, based in the U.S. and Canada, have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you and reach out to either emergency services or a personal contact.

Certain devices also feature unique technologies, including:

• Fall detection: AutoAlert is an automatic fall detection technology created by Lifeline that detects if you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button.
    • Location technologies: The GoSafe 2 has five different location technologies, including Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon to identify where you are.
    Original Medicare does not generally cover medical alert systems. However, some Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans might.
    You can return your purchased pendants within 30 days for a full refund if they are in good condition. However, if you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.
    No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Lifeline.
    Yes, the warranty for a Lifeline GoSafe medical device is for one year. However, the company’s other devices don’t appear to have warranties.

Is Lifeline legit?

If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Lifeline. Its devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals who can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I had become very handicapped, and I have a caregiver. But to have a button to go around my neck for wherever I go has proven to be very helpful. I've had Philips Lifeline for years, and never had any trouble with it at all. And then, we moved and got the other device put in. And by that time, there was GPS associated with it, which delighted me. And then, everything went crazy administratively because we get these phone calls from Philips Lifeline that became harassing. And they would call and tell us to unplug things. There was no way I could unplug it. I was totally handicapped at the time. My caregiver wasn't available every single second. And then, they would notify all of our contacts, and then they would come over. It would disrupt us for two days to get it straightened out. And then, everything would go on.

Everything was perfect until a couple of years ago when they changed the system and we started getting these annoying phone calls. For example, one night, the police came out here at 2 o'clock in the morning, shining red lights into the windows and everything. And we said, “Oh, it's our lifeline system again.” And then, they came back again, two hours later. They didn't know what to do. It has been a major harassment to our neighborhood. And it was always on a Saturday morning that they call and tell us, “We're receiving something that the thing isn't plugged in.” And it was plugged in. I'm secure if it works. But when I get these calls from them, telling me that it's not working, and it's working, something wrong, that doesn't make me very secure. But they've sent us a new unit now which we're going to try.

Lifeline response

Marilynn, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad that you enjoy or GPS enabled device. We are sorry that you received these phone calls asking you to unplug the equipment. We have a department that monitors the equipment for various maintenance signals and they should have handled that better, we apologize for this. If at any time you are unable or do not feel safe doing what is asked please let them know and you can call us back when it's convenient for you. If you have any questions about the equipment we can be reached at 1-800-635-6156 and will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2021

My Philips Lifeline does provide another layer of security knowing that if something was to occur, I could just push a button. When I have accidentally pushed a button, someone was immediately there on the line, which is really good. When you’re home by yourself, you know that you can reach out to someone, and they can talk with you and get help to you right away. That's the main security that I love about the system. I did have one situation where I did not even touch the button, and I heard someone else's conversation. I don’t know how that happened, and that may be something that they could look into because that was someone else's private matter. I know I didn't hit my button.

I just keep my device near me. I don’t like things on my neck. I don’t even wear jewelry around my neck. So, I just have it with me while I’m at home. When I go to my bedroom, it’s the same where I have it right there near me. The only thing is if you lose power at your home, especially with storms, then that's not going to work. It will be affected if I was to lose power because that's plugged in. Thank God, I’m in an area where there’s not a lot of power shortages. If they can make a product that one can take outside of the home, I'll be glad to be in on the details of it. It would be wonders. What I have is an in-home model. Overall, Philips Lifeline is an awesome service for those of us that’s disabled, and even for the families taking care of someone that's disabled. It provides comfort and peace to the person that's needing it and to the family member that's taking care of the person that needs it. It’s working both ways.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I have one leg, and my bathroom is far away from my bedroom so I have a commode on by the bedside. I was getting up to get onto it. I was trying for the wheelchair because I was going down. But I was trying to keep from going down and I went down anyway. And I was on the floor in the bedroom. The only thing I hurt was my knee because I was trying to get up on my own and I turned on my one knee. It hurts, to start with, so I hurt it more.

I was sitting on my butt on the floor and I got a hold of my wheelchair. I turned it around and I started pulling it with me. I was almost by the base unit of my Lifeline, because I don't have to be that close. I thought, “Oh, well. The only way I'm going to get up is by calling for somebody.” It was 2:30 in the morning, so I pushed my Lifeline and the rep came on and asked if I needed help. I said, “Yes, I fell like the commercial. I have fallen and I can't get up.” First caller was the fire department, because they're just across the street over here, and my neighbor across the street from me. And they all have my key box combo.

The paramedics came. They were pulling their gurney with them and I told them they didn't need that. I was now in the front and I had turned off my alarm. They came over and said, “How can we help you? Are you hurt?” I said, “No, I'm not hurt. I just had to get back up on my wheelchair.” One took me under one arm, and the other took me under the other arm, and they put me in my chair and said, “Is there anything else we can help you with? Are you sure you're all right?” I said, “I’m fine. I have my wheels under me now and I'm just great.” So they left, relocked my gate, took off.

The next morning, my daughter called me. She lives four hours away from me. And she's almost 70 so she's not a spring chicken either. I'm 93. She said, “I heard you fell.” And I said, “Well, who told you that?” Because all she can do is be upset and worried because she can't get to me. And she said, “Well, your Lifeline called me.” And I said, “They're not supposed to call you. I told them not to call you.”

Right after she hung up, I called Lifeline and told them they were not supposed to call my daughter. And they said that she was on there for some reason. I said, “Well, she's not to be notified because she can't get to me anyway. It doesn't do any good.” So the rep said that she would take my daughter off immediately, and she did. She said, “Now she won't be called for any reason whatsoever.” And I said, “Not any.” She said, “Nope. Not any.” The next day, I checked my answering machine. There was my Lifeline, and they said, “Your alarm went off during the night, but someone that knew the combination turned it off, so we didn't send the police so there'll be no charge.” That was the end of my experience.

As far as having somebody come, I'm very satisfied. But I've been having problems with the prices since I change from the telephone landline, being connected to it, and having the new unit. They told me it would be one price. And then when it was on my bill, it was another price. That was the third time I called them, and each time, I would get a different person and they would quote me a different price.

The last one was a price I was satisfied with, so I said, “Okay, that'll be on my bill on my Visa card.” They take it out automatically. And it was $5 and some cents more than they quoted me. So I thought, “Maybe the last quote they did will be on next month, so I'll just wait.” But that's the only problem I've had is with the billing. If I could get the same person twice, it would be a good thing. There are good people when they come on the line, and they all mean well, except that things get messed up. Also, I don't like the cord that goes around my neck. It makes me itch. And I'm afraid to cut it to put a gold chain on it for fear the gold chain wouldn’t fit through the hole on the little device. Philips Lifeline should change that cord. More metal. Maybe silver or something that doesn't turn color.

Lifeline response

Bonnalee, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad that we were able to get you the help that was needed. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 17, 2021

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. And you have to have three different devices for the shower, for the home and then another one if you went some place. It's not worth it. I've got one device with Philips Lifeline and it takes care of everything. Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall, it alerts them and that is very much needed. That has saved me several times.

I had a bad fall last January. There were some rocks surrounding my flower gardens and I tripped over them and fell on the rocks on the other side. My arms wouldn't work and my legs were throbbing. I couldn't lift myself up to be able to sit up or get up. I couldn't make a move or do anything and I was here by myself. My alarm went off and I wasn't in the house to respond to the call that would automatically call Philips Lifeline doing service. They couldn't get me and I couldn't respond to them, and they automatically called the ambulance. The ambulance came, got me and took me to the emergency room. This Philips service means to me and has helped me so many times. I fell on my back last Tuesday here in the house as I was putting a flower bow up on the shelf and totally lost my balance. Philips was there and they took care of me.

I got Philips over 10 years ago and if they come out with any new things, I check to see if they would be beneficial to me. They came out with that pill thing but I’m on a total of 30 medications a day and I take 8 to 10 pills each time. So, I couldn't use theirs because it wasn't large enough to hold the number of pills that I require in a day’s time. I recommend them to any of my friends. I go to a community group center for the older people and even there, I talk to them about Philips. A lot of them use their phones but you don't always have your phone on you. I'm one of those people. I don't carry my phone with me everywhere I go. Not even here in the house. I have it sitting right by my chair. I use a cell phone but wearing this device around my neck, it’s with me wherever I gotta go. Philips should continue to do the wonderful job they’re doing.

Lifeline response

Beverly, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that we were there when you needed us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 1, 2021

It worked several times for me. Several weeks ago, it went off. I thought I was closer to my chair than I was. When I went to sit down, I was not in my chair, and I slid down to the floor. I hit my head on the middle part of my wheelchair and cut my head open and couldn't get up. So, the Philips Lifeline went off and my daughter heard it. She was on the other end of the house. She came in there and we had to call the EMS. I had to go to the hospital and get a CT scan until everything was negative. So it worked. They responded almost immediately. It's also very comfortable. I don't even know it's on it. I wear it in the shower and every place. I wish more people would have them. It's been a lifesaver for me. Last July, I fell and I broke my hip. But I was outside and it didn't go off then. That’s the only drawback I have. It's not on other than in the house.

Lifeline response

Kathleen, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear that we could be there for you when you needed us inside your home. Feel free to call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 so that we can discuss your account with you to see if there are other options that may be a better solution for you. Please be well, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Margie, my mother-in-law, has more confidence in herself since having the device from Lifeline. She knows that she has to wear it at all times and have it beside her bed. When she goes outside, she knows she can't go very far because the device will sit there and not work. So, she knows her limits and it keeps her where she should be to where we can keep an eye on her. I love the device and I would recommend it 100% because it's the best of the likes that we've seen and works with mom well.

Lifeline response

Darla, Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to know your mother-in-law has more confidence since having our service. Please know we are always here for her. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

My experience with Lifeline is wonderful and I recommend it to anybody. I have a terrible problem with my balance and I have bad knees. If I fall on the floor, I can't get up and that has happened to me four times in the last three months. I have no problem with the service I get from them. They have the numbers of both my daughters to call. One lives next door and the other one lives a half-mile down the same road, and we're in the country. One daughter works at Lowe's and so she works all hours. Some days, she goes in at 6:30 and the next day, she goes in at 11:00 and works till 10:00. So, I never know what her hours are going to be up until when she tells me what days she can be off the next week because she never gets Saturday and Sunday. My other daughter works for the Feds and the courts. So, she's home in the evening and on the weekends but sometimes, it doesn't always work out that way.

Lifeline response

Evelyn, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. I also would like to thank you very much for recommending our service. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I chose Lifeline because I called several places and I got the best response from them, as far as just talking to them. Whoever I talked to on the phone sounded the best of anyone I talked to. When I was ready to sign up, they just seem to do the best job of putting themselves across. There was one of them, very high-rated ones that I see in the magazine, but they were pushy. They called and I told them I already had somebody. They wanted to know who I chose. And when I told them Philips Lifeline, they just hung up.

Everything mostly has gone all right. Whenever I've needed something, I got it right away. But I had a very bad experience. I was sitting on the edge of my bed. The person told me it was 9:17 in the morning. All of a sudden, my phone rang. Philips Lifeline said their regular things, “This is Philips Lifeline. Is this Sarah?” Or do I need help. I said I was fine. And they said all right, and they would reset it. After that, I was in my bathroom and I could see my responder right across the room, because I have it where I can see it, and it’s blinking. I had no idea why. It never made any noise, nothing happened. I talked to three people the other day. I wanted to know why the first call I got came on my telephone and not my responder. None of them could satisfy me. I was discouraged and unhappy.

I waited another day or two to see who I wanted to try to talk to. All three people I talked to had an accent, that when I’m 89 years old, it’s not easy to understand. Nothing against them. That's how they talk. But when you're 89 years old, you have a hard time understanding some of these accents. The first one I got, I wasn't happy so I just dialed back again. I got somebody else. And she, at least, turned me over to another person, who turned me over to a third person. He said, “Can I put you on a long hold?” Then he came back and said, “Well, they couldn't call you on the unit because your line was busy.”

My line couldn't have been busy if they called me on it. It's confusing and I'm unhappy about it. I asked my daughter what she thought I shold do because there are plenty of them out there looking for business. This was a big problem. If they called my telephone that morning and my phone wasn't with me, if I didn't have a phone right next to me, it could have kept ringing and ringing. And I'm wondering what they could have done if I couldn't answer the phone. If I was out here in a place where my phone was not available to me at that moment, and I couldn't answer my regular phone, they would send all kinds of equipment here because I wasn't answering the phone. But I'm not supposed to have to answer the phone. It was supposed to come on my responder that I can hear in my house.

I was actually talking to someone on the phone, and Lifeline cut in to tell me that I might have pressed my button by mistake. Although I was sitting at the table, I very well could have hit the table with it or whatever it was on something. And they said to hang up. How they figured that one out was good. But I still don’t know how they can solve it, whether they called my house phone instead of the transponder would happen again. I don't want all kinds of stuff in front of my house when I'm fine.

Lifeline response

Sarah, Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and providing this valuable feedback. We are sorry for the frustration you have dealt with regarding your equipment. We have provided all of this information to our Customer Service Department and a representative will reach out to you to discuss your account. We will be happy to swap out any equipment necessary to be sure you are 100% satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

If you're by yourself, you should have one. Before I got mine, I fell twice outside at different times. And one time, I was out there two and a half hours, and the other time an hour and a half until somebody came home and missed me. So if I would have had the alarm, I could have had them call a neighbor. Lifeline makes me feel safer because I'm by myself quite a bit, so I can just push the button. And we've done it by mistake a few times and they answer very fast. I could use a clean cord. I know it can get wet, but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to just stick it in water to wash it. I will now just try and keep the button out of the water.

Lifeline response

Joan, Thank you for your review and providing this valuable feedback. We are sorry to hear that you fell, but glad to know you feel safer with our service. We have requested a replacement button to be shipped out to you. Please call us back at 1-800-635-6156 so that we can help you activate the button with you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

My device is a necklace and I wear it through my jersey all the time. When I take it off my jersey, sometimes the things clip on the floor. So Lifeline calls me, wanting to know if I'm okay. It’s a little bit annoying. But they're okay.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
      AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
      iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
       World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009