Call toll free
4.62/5
Based on 1,178 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Philips Lifeline is the leading medical alert service in the U.S.. The Philips Lifeline medical alert service gives you fast, easy access to a trained response associate to request the help you want - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our AutoAlert fall detection technology automatically calls for help if a fall is detected – even if you are unable to push the help button. Over 7 million Americans have counted on Philips Lifeline to feel safe at home or on the go.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3415 Philips Lifeline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

A couple of months ago, my husband passed away and I stumbled and fell flat on my face on the cement. The children told me I needed to get a medical alert device, and so they got Philips Lifeline for me. My device is a unit that would go off if I fell and I've had good luck with it. I've been well-pleased. I wear my little button around my neck all the time, except when I go to town because it doesn’t pick up away from the house. I feel safer with it. When I realize I don’t have it, I have to go get it. I have stumbled a couple of times and Philips Lifeline's team has called to see if I was okay. They've been really nice. They want to be sure that nothing has happened before they hang up. They also called me and told me that something had happened to the device and that it was not picking up if I fell. They cut it back until they could get it fixed and I’m paying the lower price now. I have recommended Philips Lifeline to a lot of people.

Hello Yvonne,

Thank you so much for your feedback and sharing your positive experiences with the Lifeline Service and our agents. We will always strive to give you the best possible experience, even in those emergency situations. All the best Yvonne, and take care.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had a stroke and laid on the floor unconscious for three hours and if I had not had my cellphone with me, I don’t know how long I would have laid there. When I came to, I looked around for my cellphone and then I called 911. When I was at the hospital, someone came in and told me about the Philips Lifeline so I got one. I wear the Philips Lifeline device all the time. It’s comfortable and I don’t even know that it’s there. I take it off when I wash my hair though because the cord gets in my way. Also, I still drive but I don’t wear it out because it won’t work but I would like to have one that does work. Sometimes I press the button just to see if it’s still working and the response time is immediate. They come on and ask me first if I need help and I tell them that it’s just a test.

A couple of years ago, I fell outside on the concrete and it hurt me badly and I couldn’t get up. It was outside at the back of the house and I can hear my Lifeline going off all over from inside the house but I wasn’t even thinking about it. I was just trying to find some way to get up. It took me about five minutes to get up and when I got inside, I heard the lady saying, “Help is on the way.” So I pressed my button and I told her that I did fall outside but that I didn’t need them to come. They were already on their way but I told her to contact them and she did, so they didn’t come but the Fire Department did. Philips Lifeline even called my daughter-in-law that lives 25 miles from me to tell her that I had fallen.

About two months ago though, I fell outside again and I got up as quick as possible and came inside and there was nothing being said. It was quiet so I knew that the Philips Lifeline had not gone off. It didn’t respond and I was actually closer to the base than I was the other time it went off. If I had been knocked unconscious, I would have just laid there. I pay $48 a month for this thing and I wanted it to work when I need it. The rep told me that if I fall on it, it might not go off. But other than that, the Philips Lifeline gives me a feeling of security. I have the confidence that if I fall and I’m unconscious, it will go off.

Hello Nellie,

Thank you for your comments and your feedback. We're glad that our service gives you the peace of mind and protection you need after having suffered a medical emergency.

Nellie, did you know that the Auto Alert Help Button has the ability to cancel a help call if you're able to get yourself up right away? Also, we do offer a mobile option. If you'd like more information about how your equipment works, or if the mobile option is something that might work for you, please give our team a call at 800-635-6156. All the best Nellie, and do take care!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I fall so having Philips Lifeline gives me a sense of security especially when I'm bathing. The device has been very helpful and it's a relief that I had it available when I first had to use it. I have fallen at least twice and they have gotten help for me. Their reps were always very polite and the response time was very rapid. Overall, it's a good idea to have the Philips Lifeline device.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My husband had a kidney transplant, and then he had to get dialysis. There were times that I needed to go to the store and when he would fall, his life alert would detect that. He passed away in 2012 and I decided to get my own medical alert device because I moved. I got one from Philips Lifeline and I'm very satisfied. The device is comfortable to wear. It doesn’t cover me when I leave the house since it only covers three acres around me. So, I take the device off, put it in my purse and put it back on when I get back to the house.

When I call Philips, it takes them very little time to respond. One time, I put my garage door down and I got my finger caught. I called them and they called my son. I've trained the little kids that I take care of to push my button or push the one in my bedroom if I have an accident and I couldn't talk. Sometimes, I push the button accidentally like the one time when I sat down too hard in the chair. The Philips team has always been great. I already got my two sisters on Philips Lifeline.

Hello Carol,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. We're glad the Philips Lifeline service is one you've come to depend upon, and are confident in recommending to your family. Thank you again, and take care.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My family wished me to get a medical alert device and as recommended by my doctor, I got the Philips Lifeline. One time, when I was fixing to cook, I accidentally hit it and it went off. Their team called me and my experience with them was okay. I really don’t like having one but I wear it.

Philips Lifeline response

Constance, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad you wear your button, we hope that you get more comfortable having the service. Please be well, safe, and take care!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Elida is a fall-risk because of the arthritis in her knees and her back issues. She and her family decided that it would be a best decision for her to get a Philips Lifeline and she had it when I first came aboard as her caregiver. I’ve been here for over four years now, so I know for a fact that her experience with it has been quite positive more than that period of time. With the device, Elida is more secure because it is so sensitive to the point where she doesn’t ever have to wonder if anyone will be alerted if she did get into trouble. I can run out for an errand and she always knows that she is in good hands. Also, I’ve been here with her on occasions where she slightly bumped the device by accident and I would hear the base and the person would ask if she needed assistance. Then I would go and tell them that she accidentally hit or pressed the button.

One time, she had difficulty breathing, so she used the button and that was when they came out. It was an immediate response. We looked up and we saw the paramedics pulling up. We also test the button frequently and the last time we did that was when we switched out the system because a new button was sent. It was an update and we had to run a test. Since then, everything has been going great with Philips Lifeline.

Hello Kimberley,

Thank you for sharing your and Elida's experiences with the Lifeline service. We're glad that she's been able to get the help that she needs, when she needs it, quickly. Additionally, that your experiences witnessing the Service at work have been so positive. Thank you again, and all the best to you and Elida. Take care!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My mother is 97 years old and since having the Philips Lifeline, she has been feeling secure with it. The device is very reliable and it has been working really well. The response time and my experience in dealing with their team have been excellent too. I've recommended them to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I feel better having my Philips medical alert device. I'm healthy, but I thought it would be a safety device to have just in case. I'm 82 years old and I live alone. I called Philips Lifeline a couple of times just to test my device, and everyone was very polite. We also got Philips for my uncle for whom I was responsible, and he wore it all the time. He fell one time, and he pressed the button. By the time I got over to his place, which is about half a mile away, the police and ambulance were already there. It worked really fast. So we know it works.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My mother has had Philips Lifeline for a while now and she's used to wearing it. It has worked very well for us, and I’m pleased with what it does. We’ve had a couple falls where she’s rolled over on it and pressed the button, and it has worked every time. Then I'd call the rescue squad and they would show up. They have a good response time.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Mothers Philips Lifeline Service James. We are glad that she wears her button all the time. We are happy that the service has worked well for your family. Our best to you and your Mother. Please be well, and take care!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I needed a medical alert device, so people got me a Philips Lifeline. Since getting mine, I've enjoyed using it and I'm proud to do so. I've also had a good experience dealing with their team.

Philips Lifeline response

Hello Evelyn, Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Our Team will be glad to know your experiences with them have always been positive. All the best Evelyn. Take care!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

At my age, I wanted to have something on hand in case an emergency arose and the Philips Lifeline made me feel a little more secure. The device is very nice and I have it close to me in case I have to reach for it. Everything is going smoothly at the present time.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Arlo. We are happy to hear that you feel a little more secure since having the service. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I've had two Philips Lifeline devices. However, I sent the original one back. It's connected with my Pace Maker and I can't use it in any place except here or my three-quarters of an acre lot. I was sleeping in my chair in the living room all night and the Philips Lifeline device kicked off. The lights were all out and I had a terrible time tying it double to get the telephone number undone. I had to call 911 to get it to stop. I didn't know how else to stop it and I didn't want the neighbor across the street to unlock the front door and come in and see what the matter with me was.

When the device kicks off, it automatically goes to the town. If it's night-time and early morning and their rep was going off for duty, the sheriff has the right to come in. I had to stay up for about 30 minutes trying to get 911 to get it reactivated again because they were screaming in the receiver, "Are you hurt? Are you there? Do you need a nurse? Do you need a doctor? Do you need EMS? What do you need? Please call me. Stay on the line. Shout if you have to." Still, I am very confident in this Philips Lifeline medical alert device.

Hello Jeanne,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We're glad to hear that you remain confident in your Lifeline service and getting the help you need, when you need it. If you'd like to learn more about how the service works, and who we send in an emergency situation, please don't hesitate to call our team at 800-635-6156. All the best Jeanne, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I had diabetes, high blood pressure and I kept falling. The doctor decided I needed a medical device and my daughter decided to get me one. I wear the Philips Lifeline device around my neck and I feel safer with it. I have fallen twice since I had it. One time, I pushed the button and people came in a reasonable time to help me. The other time, it went out and they detected it. Everybody at Philips Lifeline has been very helpful.

Hello Wylene,

It's always great to hear that Philips Lifeline is the service trusted by families to provide the peace of mind they need for themselves. We're glad to give you and your daughter that peace of mind as well. All the Wylene, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I am very pleased to have my Philips Lifeline. In 2002, I fell down a flight of steps and was unconscious at the bottom in the fetal position. Then, I went up the steps and I had blood coming from my head, with the imprint of the railing on my face and my arm was hanging. Within two minutes, the ambulance was there. My balance was so bad so now, I am wheelchair bound. There were also times when I have hit the button by accident. Their reps were so kind on the phone and they came through very quickly. Even if I told them that I touched or bumped the button accidentally, they didn’t get angry. They just told me that it was okay as long as I was alright.

Hello Michele,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the Lifeline service. We're glad that we were able to get you the help you needed so quickly in what was certainly a difficult experience for you. Thank you again Michele. All the best, and do take care.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I’ve been fine with my Philips Lifeline device. Their response time was very good and the reps were very informative and polite. I wear the device on my neck. I push it to the back and to the shoulder blade area, and it is not in the way. But I take it off when I take my shower and have it within reach. I know I shouldn’t do that but often when I don’t take it off and it is bubbling around me, it goes off.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I had sleep apnea which was running my blood pressure up and causing problems. I had a medical alert device that I wear around my wrist around the house and then I got one that I wear around my neck and I can go anywhere with it. My kids are very satisfied with Philips Lifeline because they know that if I fall, it will kick in. I also feel more secure with it because I'm on a rollator. One time, I locked myself out of the house and I was able to press the button and get someone to call the local sheriff’s department. They came and got me in the house again. My grandkids accidentally set it off and the Philips reps were very nice about it. Whenever I called them, they got me the help that I needed. But the device around my neck is heavy and I prefer to wear the wrist one around the house. I would also like to get them both on the same plan. But overall, I have been satisfied with Philips Lifeline.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I'm 100 years old and I live alone. I got a medical alert device from Philips Lifeline and it's working fine. I wear it all the time and I feel secure with it.

Hello Helen,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your Philips Lifeline Service. As an independent senior, we know that feeling of security and peace of mind is important to you. We're glad that we're your partner in providing it. All the best Helen, and take care.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

So far, I feel okay about my Philips Lifeline. I sometimes press the button to see if everything’s okay and their response time is very good. However, I don’t want the device around my neck because it dangles and it almost choked me to death when I was sleeping. I woke up screaming and it took everything to get it off. I required one for my wrist in place of the thing that I tie around my nightgown. I’ve been asking for it for a long time but they never sent me one and I’m disappointed about it.

Philips Lifeline response

Rose, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We will have a customer service representative reach out to you and address your concerns. If you would rather reach out to Customer Service yourself please call 1-800-635-6156. Please take care!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I was having heart troubles and I would spend a lot of time alone in the house because I’m retired. And then, when I fell, I had the button on to call my daughter and I called 911. It’s nice to know that the button is there and it can work if I’m thinking about it. However, my main problem is, if I had a problem with life-saving I would rather have one that doesn’t make any difference whether I’m home or away. Philips Lifeline has one that works like a phone and if you have a problem, you trigger it wherever you are and they know where you are. But that’s the only problem I have. A couple of times, it was out that they had to fix something. They changed it because they must have tested it somehow and thought it wasn't working. So, my worry was how long was I without it if it wasn't working.

There were a couple of times I set the alert off and they called me back right away. I test the life alert every once in a while. I just got a new button a couple of months ago and it has the added feature, which I thought it had anyhow, that if you fall, it will respond, which it did. It signalled through the button and the Philips Lifeline team called to ask me if I was okay, and I said, “Fine.” Also, the alert went off while I was in the shower. I got out of the shower and started to dry myself. Then through the door came three guys. One was a local guard where I live and two assistants. The thing went off, then you have the key for the house, came in, and that was the end of it. But the people walked me through the house to test that the return button was working, and it was.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I’m 92 years old, I live alone and I have a need for a hip replacement. I also got two bones in one of my legs that are rubbing together so I hardly get around. My doctor said that I needed a Philips Lifeline and he was the one that got it for me. I haven’t had to use it but it’s mighty handy. I enjoy it. I keep it with me all the time and it works fine. I also carry it with me when I go to bed. If I fall or if I get hurt bad, I know there would be somebody here to help me get up. I used to fall a lot but I don’t fall as I used to because I don’t go outside. The only place I ever go is to church, to get my hair done and to the grocery store, and I’m glad I got the Philips Lifeline since I fall every once in a while. I even broke my fingers. I would advise anybody who lives alone, is old as I am and with bad health that they need to have a Philips Lifeline. So far, I’m satisfied and happy with mine.

Hello Mary,

Thank you for your kind words about the service and that you trust Lifeline as a partner in your care. We take the difficulties you've outlined very seriously, so don't hesitate to push your button should you ever need it. All the best Mary, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I'm old so I got myself a medical alert device. I started using Philips Lifeline three years ago and I had the device around my neck. One time, I got a rash around it and I was concerned. But it was not their fault. I didn’t read the instruction well and didn’t realize that I could wash it. I have a problem with the sensitivity of the button. I had pressed it several times by mistake. It was scary to hear them calling me and I didn't know what was going on. There was shampoo in my hair when I hit the button. I didn’t even realize that I had done it then someone came to the door. I realized that it could cause embarrassment with all the people coming with the sirens. Other than that, I'm satisfied with my experience with Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline response

Bessie, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad you are satisfied with your service, and that you wear your button. Please be well, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I've had Philips Lifeline for several years now and I’m well-pleased with it. About five years ago, I fell and broke my hip. After my husband died, my children wouldn’t let me live by myself unless I get Philips Lifeline. I wear it around my neck 24/7, but it’s only good in my yard and house. Sometimes, in bed, I’d turn over on it, it’d go off and I’d have to apologize to them. Two weeks ago, I didn’t know that I had mashed the Philips Lifeline and everybody responded to it. My son-in-law living here in town came and told me about it. The fire truck came and the ambulance responded too. I was thankful for that. I was sorry that it had gone off and I didn’t need them, but it felt good to know that they all responded. I’d recommend it to anybody.

Hello Jeanette,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Rest assured, we will always send you the help you need, even in those circumstances where we get a signal from your button, but aren't able to speak to you directly. We are always glad to learn that our subscribers were ultimately okay, and didn't require emergency help. All the best Jeanette, and take care!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My twin sister had a lot of major problems and she was with Lifeline. And she loved it. One time, she left a little frying pan on the stove and thinking she had turned the flame all the way off, she had gone to the doctor. Then the fire department called me. I said, "Yeah, I’ve got a key." But they said that they had to break in the door. The smoke alarm was going off and they didn't want the house to catch on fire. It was things like that that made me go with Philips too.

I have issues with my heart and I live alone. My son lives no more than 10 minutes from me. Either he's here or his wife stops by so that I'm not alone but I know they have their life. I wear the necklace everyday and I love it! Lifeline is a good name for it too. It is a lifeline. I feel very much at comfort wearing the device. My mother lived right around the corner from me and we had to get her a necklace. It wasn’t as good as Philips.

I pushed my Lifeline one time because it had just been put in and there was something wrong with my necklace. The next thing I know, I was hearing my doorbell. Here was this ambulance and all these red lights. I asked what was the matter and the woman said my Lifeline had gone off. I told her I didn't push it. That was when they told me not to worry about it. I said, "I hope I'm not gonna have to pay for this." I was told that I wouldn't and that they were just glad I was all right. But the device went off again in half an hour. When you lean down, you might hit the necklace and undoubtedly, there were a few necklaces with other people with that same problem. So Philips told me to send my necklace back to them and I would have one within five days or sooner, and I did.

Philips Lifeline response

Joan, Thank you so much for taking time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are so happy that you always wear your button and you feel safe. We are glad that we have provided peace of mind to you and your family. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was falling and Philips Lifeline has made me feel a little safer. It's uncomfortable in the summer though. I don’t like having anything around my neck. But otherwise, the Philips Lifeline device is nice. When I pressed the button before, the team responded quickly and was very nice.

Hello Rose,

Thank you for your review. We're glad our service has given you a measure of comfort and peace of mind. Please, don't hesitate to call our skilled customer service team to see if there are any other wearing methods you might find more suitable. Our team can be reached at 800-635-6156. All the best Rose, and take care!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I live by myself and a medical alert device could come in handy. I got a Philips Lifeline and it has been comfortable to wear. Thus far, I've used it for testing but never emergencies. Still, their team has responded right away. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

We had the Philips Lifeline first for my husband and then I took it over when he died. I'm living alone now but I feel safe having the device. I tested it a couple of times and the Philips Lifeline team responded in less than a minute.

Philips Lifeline response

Hello Evelyn, Let me first say that our team here at Lifeline are sorry for your loss, and offer our deepest condolences. We are glad that you've chosen to continue with the Lifeline, and greatly value your trust in the service. All the best Evelyn, and do take care.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I’ll be 92 on my birthday and I have a falling problem. I’ve broken lots of my bones doing that, so I'm trying not to fall. When I do, I need to get help because I live alone. I wear the Philips Lifeline around my neck and I don't even know it’s there. If I’m going out, I put it under my clothes. During times when I pushed the button which I didn't know I did, they were right on the phone. It’s sensitive which is a good thing. My family is happy that I'm wearing it. In fact, my cousin has one in Tennessee because of me. Though it's too expensive with monthly fees that are higher than most are, my experience with them has been okay.

Philips Lifeline response

Jewel, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad to hear that you keep your button on all the time. Please never hesitate to reach out to Customer Service at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions you have. Thank you for recommending us as well. We also wanted to wish you a very Happy early birthday, please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I live on my own and I'm getting up there in age. I thought I better get a medical alert device. We had hospice in here that recommended Philips Lifeline. So far, I've called in to test my device every now and again, and I've gotten a good response. Since having the device, I feel confident that I won’t be alone if anything happens. I would recommend it.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience Peggy. We are so happy that you wear your button and that you check in with us as well. We are glad that you feel confident and thank you for letting us know that you would recommend the service. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have a history of falls and I had a medical alert device but I decided to switch to Philips Lifeline. They are not excellent, but they are not bad either. The device didn’t go off the last time I fell and I had to press the button. I thought it’s supposed to go off when I fall. This has been an ongoing problem and they keep sending me a new one saying, “This one’s new and will go off,” but it doesn’t. Nonetheless, the reps at Philips are really nice and they really understand what’s going on. I wear the device around my neck, but it gets in the way all the time. I don’t like to put it on. I wish it had a chain and that it wasn’t on the string that gets dirty and reminds me of a macramé cord.

Philips Lifeline response

Marie, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We have forwarded your concerns to our Customer Service department. A representative will reach out to you and provide a full explanation on how the Fall Detection button works, and why it cannot be put on a chain. Please also never hesitate to reach out to Customer Service at 1-800-635-6156 if you would rather. Please take care.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I had been in the hospital and when I came home, my family said that having the Philips Lifeline would be a good idea since I live alone. When I first got it several years ago, I was driving a car and being out more and I knew I could only use it in the house. So I considered getting one of the others. But now that I’m confined to the house most of the time, replacing it isn't necessary anymore. We’ve also had a few problems with it, and my son has called the company and they've corrected it. Whenever the device was set off, the team's response was always right away and very often, I didn't know what set it off. Aside from that, it's comfortable to wear as a necklace and I even forget that the device is there.

Philips Lifeline expert review by Shelley Webb

With more than 7 million subscribers and 40 years of experience, Philips Lifeline is an industry leader in monitored medical alert systems.

• They offer two-way communication: Technicians initiate contact when the help button is depressed, offering prompt assessment of the situation and dispatching help as needed.

• Pricing is affordable for most: The monthly subscription fee is one of the least expensive among medical alert systems at less than $30 per month.

• No phone is needed: Many systems require the use of a landline in order to call the operator. Lifeline does not need home phone service, making the system even more affordable.

• Unmonitored service is not available: Not every wearer needs the level of service offered by monitoring. An unmonitored option is typically less expensive and preferable for the recently retired.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons with newly diagnosed or severe epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Philips Lifeline Company Information