4.1/5 (193 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Top Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Verified

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. … Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall...

Verified

... I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the ...

Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Lifeline?

Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers home-based and mobile medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices contact a 24-hour monitoring center that can send help to the user.

The company, originally called Lifeline Systems and then Philips Lifeline, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards since then.

About Lifeline monitoring center

Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Lifeline caregiver tools

Lifeline offers caregivers multiple resources, including advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

The Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. This app also lets users share notes and updates on their well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.

Lifeline medical alert costs

Lifeline’s prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that additional upfront fees are usually required.

HomeSafe StandardHomeSafe with AutoAlertOn the Go
Monthly fee$29.95 or $43.95$44.95 or $58.95$49.95
Device fee$0$0$99.95
Activation fee$50$50$0
Installation fee$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99
Cancellation fee$50$50$50

Lifeline FAQ

How does Lifeline work?

Lifeline medical alert systems can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a response center. Its monitoring centers, based in the U.S. and Canada, have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you and reach out to either emergency services or a personal contact.

Certain devices also feature unique technologies, including:

• Fall detection: AutoAlert is an automatic fall detection technology created by Lifeline that detects if you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button.
  • Location technologies: The GoSafe 2 has five different location technologies, including Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon to identify where you are.
Does Medicare cover Lifeline?

Original Medicare does not generally cover medical alert systems. However, some Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans might.

What is Lifeline’s return policy?

You can return your purchased pendants within 30 days for a full refund if they are in good condition. However, if you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.

Do I have to sign a contract to get a Lifeline medical alert system?

No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Lifeline.

Does Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?

Yes, the warranty for a Lifeline On the Go medical device is for one year. However, the company’s other devices don’t appear to have warranties.

Is Lifeline legit?

If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Lifeline. Its devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals who can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

The Lifeline medical alert device rang a lot of times simply because I turned over wrong at night. I finally learned to put the thing on this table and I can just lay it here. It was about six inches from where I sleep and I let the thing hang down and I can just reach it with my hand if I need it. But I've had a lot of those experiences at first and it was so embarrassing. Every time I'd turn around, I'd bump it. I've even been woken up in the middle of the night before I learned to take the call. The reps are concerned and they’ll ask if I’m okay. I’ll say sorry and we'd go through this routine.

The last time I talked to the reps from Lifeline, I was eating. And since I lived by myself, I don't go to the table but I have a bar in the kitchen and I just sit up there and eat. I leaned over to reach and get the salt and must have pressed the device against the edge of the bar and I jumped up, ran in here at the bedroom and apologized. I feel sorry for the people. But they have been so prompt. Occasionally, they’ll call me and say they hadn't heard from me for a while and ask if I’m okay. My son lives in town and he came over one day and said that he'd had a call from Lifeline. They hadn't heard from me for a while. I learned that if I took it off at night, I was ringing it all the time but they called him to ask him if I was okay. That's how concerned they are. My kids are very happy to know that I've got some help because it’s peace of mind and I wear it for that reason. I have a half-acre land and I don't want to get off out here somewhere and fall and lay there.

Lifeline response

Nedra, Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear that you are satisfied with our service. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I carry the Lifeline device around and don't worry about it. It's a necklace but a lot of times, I wear it in my pocket. It's easier 'cause it's heavy around your neck. The response is fast when it goes off.

Lifeline response

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. Please know that we are always here for you Rachel, whenever you need us. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have received a diagnosis of myasthenia gravis just recently and there's a potential for me not being able to breathe well enough and at the same time, not being able to call for help. Philips Lifeline relieved the problem for me. I am married but my husband and I sleep in different bedrooms on different floors. He's a little deaf, and I couldn't even call for help. It is unlikely that I'm going to end up needing emergency help while I'm in bed in the middle of the night but that was terrifying me. So this is a very stress-relieving thing, even though I may never have to use it. I am keeping the button near the bedside.

I went through a hospital here in the state that has an office for this kind of thing. A rep ordered it for me and he helped me tremendously. He was wonderful. I've only had one issue. I went ahead and filled out the paperwork and put all the information in but I needed to go back into my account to make a change. So, I filed a support ticket or sent an email. I had somebody work with me over the space of several days but he ended up never responding back to me. The tech support via email was abysmal. I couldn't find where to make that change and all I was asking was where is this. The rep went off on asking for all sorts of thing. I said that all I needed was a screenshot pointing to where the button is. I wasn’t nasty. But at that point, he never even responded to me again. So I don't know at all how most people access any of this stuff.

I called a rep and she got the information. I still don't know how to alter that in the app though. I have to make this change again but I don't want to have to make a phone call. I'm used to being able to go into an app or into a website and making these changes myself. And this kind of thing may well be more reliant on a phone call to ask for help. But other than that, I'm fine with the whole thing.

Lifeline response

Delia, We are very happy to hear that you feel safer with our service Please know we are there when you anytime you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My Lifeline device has been pretty good. It's just Lifeline is going away from hard telephone lines, and they're going into this computer thing where your phone line runs through the computer modem. Because of that, there's a 5 or 10-minute delay. I didn't realize this at first because we would press the button to do the monthly check, and at one time, it took over 10 minutes and we couldn't understand why. I talked to one of the people and they were like, “No, the call came in immediately. It did not wait or nothing." She contacted one of those technical guys, talked to him, and he said that it's probably on our end. There's something wrong with the connection. Then I realized and told him we don't have a regular hard line. That was when he said that I got to have a hard line to connect directly to that.

Other than that, the thing’s great. If I could stop hitting it accidentally, I'll be all right. If it happens, they are very nice about it. I was in the shower one time and I hit it. I heard them at the door because they were gonna break in the door. It’s one of those $1,000 doors with the leaded glass. It’s beautiful. So, I'm glad that I heard something. I turned the shower off. I came out and there was the firefighter down the road from me. They came because they got the call, and I was in the shower so what I started doing is leaving the door open in case anything like that happens again. I love the peace of mind that my device gives. I'm with them because of the fall detection. If I fall and hit my head and I'm knocked unconscious, they will be coming to get me, and that’s what I need.

Original review: April 26, 2022

The responses that I've gotten from Lifeline whenever I've happened to activate the device by mistake have been excellent. The quality of the device is excellent, too. But I am very dissatisfied with the lanyard because it doesn't stay attached. There's a good chance that it'll just slip down inside my clothing when I'm out walking and be lost. This particular lanyard came with a new and improved device in December. The old lanyard was just fine. I wish that I detached it when I returned the initial device that I was sent because then I would not be having any problems. I had no idea that they were gonna be sending out such poor-quality equipment.

I don't wanna lose the device. I have to jigger it so that it gets up that short. In order to take it off, I have to release it to take it over my head. Because when it's shortened, it won't go over my head. It's difficult to find to close it, although it's very easy to get it open. I've had three different occasions and been told that I would be sent a new lanyard. But that has never happened. They're not doing what they said they would.

Not only that, I had an occasion when it came off while I was sleeping at night. I must have been lying on top of it because, somehow, they were alerted. But I did not hear any voice message coming over the device. While an ambulance was standing at the ready, the person who was in charge of doing all this did not just dispatch the ambulance but called my son who lives 30 miles away and also called the director of the retirement community where I live and tried to get me on the cell phone. Since sometimes I get prank calls on the cell phone in the middle of the night, I didn't bother to get up and answer them. But when the landline started to ring, I got up and answered the phone. The ambulance never came. But I didn’t want this thing to happen again.

The other day, I went for a long walk, and I put the device in my jacket pocket. When I took my jacket off, when I stopped at the library, the pocket hit the chair that I was meaning to sit on and that alerted the device. I got a message. “Are you all right?” So it's been a real nuisance. I can't believe I'm paying more than $50 for this lack of service every month. But the device itself is what I need. My son wanted to have the comfort of knowing that I was equipped in this way.

Lifeline response

Sara, thank you for providing this valuable feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you have had nice interactions when reaching out to us. If you would like a replacement sent please call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 and they will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

Dad lives alone. After he had a medical emergency, we agreed he needed a medical alert device. Lifeline was recommended by AARP and Consumer Reports, so we thought it was a good one.

1 - We were told we'd have the device in 2-3 business days. A week after placing the order online, I got a call asking for the billing information again. It took another week to get the device.

2 - The charging base didn't work. The company replaced it, but that took another week.

So it's been 3 weeks since we placed our order. Dad still doesn't have a working device. Reaching someone in billing hasn't been easy. Easy to set up, but don't rely on it.

Lifeline response

Kristine, thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback with us. We are very sorry for the frustration you are dealing with. We will have one of our Senior representatives reach out to you so they can address all of your concerns and replace anything that is needed. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

I have been a subscriber for many months and continue to have difficulty creating an account in the Lifeline Cares app. Without access to the app, it's impossible to have visibility to the account. Despite several calls with Lifeline, the issue remains unresolved. Pitiful.

Lifeline response

Tom, We are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. We are able to verify the account. I have forwarded this information to our Cares App Team and requested that a senior representative follow up with you to get these issues resolved. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

I've used it accidentally and it surprised me. One day, I was working on a puzzle and I leaned up against the table. Then all of a sudden, it was squawking at me. I had a good experience.

Lifeline response

Helene, we are glad to hear you had a good experience with our service. Know that we are always here if you need us. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

As far as the service and responding, Lifeline was very good. When we needed them, they came several times. I had to call people. They were very helpful and they helped get Robert to the hospital three times. But my big complaint was, I called a couple of months ago to tell Lifeline we would no longer be using the device because Robert is at a nursing home. We no longer need it. And he will have to remain there because he needs a lot of attention and care, which we cannot give him at home. And I assumed that was the end of it. But Lifeline kept billing me. I'm very upset about that. I should have gotten a couple of months without having to pay at the end.

When I called them, they didn't say, "You've got to send the thing right back in order not to be billed anymore." I thought somebody would come eventually and collect it. When I saw I was being billed still, I called them again and they said, "Somebody should have told you that you have to return the machine right away in order not to be billed." I had no idea what was gonna happen. They should have told me then and there.

Lifeline response

X Guterman, we are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. I sent the information to our customer service team to follow up with you and discuss these issues so we can get them resolved. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I got a medical alert device from Lifeline for peace of mind. I accidentally bumped into my device one time and the response was fine. Their reps were great.

Lifeline response

Mabel, This is very nice to hear this type of review and we are happy that we can be there for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
    AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
    iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
     World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009