4.4/5 (318 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Top Lifeline Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. … Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall...

Verified

... I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the ...

Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Lifeline?

Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers home-based and mobile medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices contact a 24-hour monitoring center that can send help to the user.

The company, originally called Lifeline Systems and then Philips Lifeline, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards since then.

About Lifeline monitoring center

Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Lifeline caregiver tools

Lifeline offers caregivers multiple resources, including advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

The Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. This app also lets users share notes and updates on their well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.

Lifeline medical alert costs

Lifeline’s prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that additional upfront fees are usually required.

HomeSafe StandardHomeSafe with AutoAlertGoSafe 2
Monthly fee$29.95 or $43.95$44.95 or $58.95$49.95
Device fee$0$0$99.95
Activation fee$50$50$0
Installation fee$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99
Cancellation fee$50$50$50

Lifeline FAQ

Lifeline medical alert systems can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a response center. Its monitoring centers, based in the U.S. and Canada, have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you and reach out to either emergency services or a personal contact.

Certain devices also feature unique technologies, including:

• Fall detection: AutoAlert is an automatic fall detection technology created by Lifeline that detects if you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button.
  • Location technologies: The GoSafe 2 has five different location technologies, including Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon to identify where you are.
Original Medicare does not generally cover medical alert systems. However, some Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans might.
You can return your purchased pendants within 30 days for a full refund if they are in good condition. However, if you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.
No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Lifeline.
Yes, the warranty for a Lifeline GoSafe medical device is for one year. However, the company’s other devices don’t appear to have warranties.

Is Lifeline legit?

If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Lifeline. Its devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals who can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I had become very handicapped, and I have a caregiver. But to have a button to go around my neck for wherever I go has proven to be very helpful. I've had Philips Lifeline for years, and never had any trouble with it at all. And then, we moved and got the other device put in. And by that time, there was GPS associated with it, which delighted me. And then, everything went crazy administratively because we get these phone calls from Philips Lifeline that became harassing. And they would call and tell us to unplug things. There was no way I could unplug it. I was totally handicapped at the time. My caregiver wasn't available every single second. And then, they would notify all of our contacts, and then they would come over. It would disrupt us for two days to get it straightened out. And then, everything would go on.

Everything was perfect until a couple of years ago when they changed the system and we started getting these annoying phone calls. For example, one night, the police came out here at 2 o'clock in the morning, shining red lights into the windows and everything. And we said, “Oh, it's our lifeline system again.” And then, they came back again, two hours later. They didn't know what to do. It has been a major harassment to our neighborhood. And it was always on a Saturday morning that they call and tell us, “We're receiving something that the thing isn't plugged in.” And it was plugged in. I'm secure if it works. But when I get these calls from them, telling me that it's not working, and it's working, something wrong, that doesn't make me very secure. But they've sent us a new unit now which we're going to try.

Lifeline response

Marilynn, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad that you enjoy or GPS enabled device. We are sorry that you received these phone calls asking you to unplug the equipment. We have a department that monitors the equipment for various maintenance signals and they should have handled that better, we apologize for this. If at any time you are unable or do not feel safe doing what is asked please let them know and you can call us back when it's convenient for you. If you have any questions about the equipment we can be reached at 1-800-635-6156 and will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2021

My Philips Lifeline does provide another layer of security knowing that if something was to occur, I could just push a button. When I have accidentally pushed a button, someone was immediately there on the line, which is really good. When you’re home by yourself, you know that you can reach out to someone, and they can talk with you and get help to you right away. That's the main security that I love about the system. I did have one situation where I did not even touch the button, and I heard someone else's conversation. I don’t know how that happened, and that may be something that they could look into because that was someone else's private matter. I know I didn't hit my button.

I just keep my device near me. I don’t like things on my neck. I don’t even wear jewelry around my neck. So, I just have it with me while I’m at home. When I go to my bedroom, it’s the same where I have it right there near me. The only thing is if you lose power at your home, especially with storms, then that's not going to work. It will be affected if I was to lose power because that's plugged in. Thank God, I’m in an area where there’s not a lot of power shortages. If they can make a product that one can take outside of the home, I'll be glad to be in on the details of it. It would be wonders. What I have is an in-home model. Overall, Philips Lifeline is an awesome service for those of us that’s disabled, and even for the families taking care of someone that's disabled. It provides comfort and peace to the person that's needing it and to the family member that's taking care of the person that needs it. It’s working both ways.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I have one leg, and my bathroom is far away from my bedroom so I have a commode on by the bedside. I was getting up to get onto it. I was trying for the wheelchair because I was going down. But I was trying to keep from going down and I went down anyway. And I was on the floor in the bedroom. The only thing I hurt was my knee because I was trying to get up on my own and I turned on my one knee. It hurts, to start with, so I hurt it more.

I was sitting on my butt on the floor and I got a hold of my wheelchair. I turned it around and I started pulling it with me. I was almost by the base unit of my Lifeline, because I don't have to be that close. I thought, “Oh, well. The only way I'm going to get up is by calling for somebody.” It was 2:30 in the morning, so I pushed my Lifeline and the rep came on and asked if I needed help. I said, “Yes, I fell like the commercial. I have fallen and I can't get up.” First caller was the fire department, because they're just across the street over here, and my neighbor across the street from me. And they all have my key box combo.

The paramedics came. They were pulling their gurney with them and I told them they didn't need that. I was now in the front and I had turned off my alarm. They came over and said, “How can we help you? Are you hurt?” I said, “No, I'm not hurt. I just had to get back up on my wheelchair.” One took me under one arm, and the other took me under the other arm, and they put me in my chair and said, “Is there anything else we can help you with? Are you sure you're all right?” I said, “I’m fine. I have my wheels under me now and I'm just great.” So they left, relocked my gate, took off.

The next morning, my daughter called me. She lives four hours away from me. And she's almost 70 so she's not a spring chicken either. I'm 93. She said, “I heard you fell.” And I said, “Well, who told you that?” Because all she can do is be upset and worried because she can't get to me. And she said, “Well, your Lifeline called me.” And I said, “They're not supposed to call you. I told them not to call you.”

Right after she hung up, I called Lifeline and told them they were not supposed to call my daughter. And they said that she was on there for some reason. I said, “Well, she's not to be notified because she can't get to me anyway. It doesn't do any good.” So the rep said that she would take my daughter off immediately, and she did. She said, “Now she won't be called for any reason whatsoever.” And I said, “Not any.” She said, “Nope. Not any.” The next day, I checked my answering machine. There was my Lifeline, and they said, “Your alarm went off during the night, but someone that knew the combination turned it off, so we didn't send the police so there'll be no charge.” That was the end of my experience.

As far as having somebody come, I'm very satisfied. But I've been having problems with the prices since I change from the telephone landline, being connected to it, and having the new unit. They told me it would be one price. And then when it was on my bill, it was another price. That was the third time I called them, and each time, I would get a different person and they would quote me a different price.

The last one was a price I was satisfied with, so I said, “Okay, that'll be on my bill on my Visa card.” They take it out automatically. And it was $5 and some cents more than they quoted me. So I thought, “Maybe the last quote they did will be on next month, so I'll just wait.” But that's the only problem I've had is with the billing. If I could get the same person twice, it would be a good thing. There are good people when they come on the line, and they all mean well, except that things get messed up. Also, I don't like the cord that goes around my neck. It makes me itch. And I'm afraid to cut it to put a gold chain on it for fear the gold chain wouldn’t fit through the hole on the little device. Philips Lifeline should change that cord. More metal. Maybe silver or something that doesn't turn color.

Lifeline response

Bonnalee, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad that we were able to get you the help that was needed. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 17, 2021

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. And you have to have three different devices for the shower, for the home and then another one if you went some place. It's not worth it. I've got one device with Philips Lifeline and it takes care of everything. Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall, it alerts them and that is very much needed. That has saved me several times.

I had a bad fall last January. There were some rocks surrounding my flower gardens and I tripped over them and fell on the rocks on the other side. My arms wouldn't work and my legs were throbbing. I couldn't lift myself up to be able to sit up or get up. I couldn't make a move or do anything and I was here by myself. My alarm went off and I wasn't in the house to respond to the call that would automatically call Philips Lifeline doing service. They couldn't get me and I couldn't respond to them, and they automatically called the ambulance. The ambulance came, got me and took me to the emergency room. This Philips service means to me and has helped me so many times. I fell on my back last Tuesday here in the house as I was putting a flower bow up on the shelf and totally lost my balance. Philips was there and they took care of me.

I got Philips over 10 years ago and if they come out with any new things, I check to see if they would be beneficial to me. They came out with that pill thing but I’m on a total of 30 medications a day and I take 8 to 10 pills each time. So, I couldn't use theirs because it wasn't large enough to hold the number of pills that I require in a day’s time. I recommend them to any of my friends. I go to a community group center for the older people and even there, I talk to them about Philips. A lot of them use their phones but you don't always have your phone on you. I'm one of those people. I don't carry my phone with me everywhere I go. Not even here in the house. I have it sitting right by my chair. I use a cell phone but wearing this device around my neck, it’s with me wherever I gotta go. Philips should continue to do the wonderful job they’re doing.

Lifeline response

Beverly, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that we were there when you needed us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 1, 2021

It worked several times for me. Several weeks ago, it went off. I thought I was closer to my chair than I was. When I went to sit down, I was not in my chair, and I slid down to the floor. I hit my head on the middle part of my wheelchair and cut my head open and couldn't get up. So, the Philips Lifeline went off and my daughter heard it. She was on the other end of the house. She came in there and we had to call the EMS. I had to go to the hospital and get a CT scan until everything was negative. So it worked. They responded almost immediately. It's also very comfortable. I don't even know it's on it. I wear it in the shower and every place. I wish more people would have them. It's been a lifesaver for me. Last July, I fell and I broke my hip. But I was outside and it didn't go off then. That’s the only drawback I have. It's not on other than in the house.

Lifeline response

Kathleen, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear that we could be there for you when you needed us inside your home. Feel free to call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 so that we can discuss your account with you to see if there are other options that may be a better solution for you. Please be well, and take care.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I wish to register a complaint about the Lifeline benefit provided as a part of my Medicare Advantage program. I signed up for the benefit in January 2021 and used the device provided until December 20, 2021 when I cancelled the service. They mailed me a box in which to return the device, along with a sheet of instructions for doing so. On January 9, 2022 I boxed up the device according to their instructions, put it in my car to take to FedEx the next day, and went for a walk. When I returned about 30 minutes later I found that our local police/EMT’s had broken out two of the doors to my house. The device had gone off, and when Lifeline was unable to contact me they contacted our local police and EMT’s. Lifeline is responsible for the damage done to my house and should pay for the cost of repairs.

Three facts are relevant: (1) On January 9 I was not even a Lifeline customer. I had cancelled the service the previous month, and they shouldn’t have been monitoring the device. (2) Instructions for returning the device were provided, and nowhere in those instructions is anything about turning the device off. I don’t even know how to turn it off. (3) Lifeline failed to notify the emergency responders of the location of a hidden key to my house that would have been easily available to them. That location was a part of my Care Plan that they earlier confirmed with me.

I have called Lifeline at 855-596-7612 every day since January 10. On Monday I was told the Claims Department would call me back within 24 hours. On Tuesday I was told there was no Claims Department, but a supervisor would call me back within 24 hours. On Wednesday I was told that my case had been elevated to management, and they would call me back in 24 to 48 hours. On Thursday I was told that a supervisor was unable (unwilling) to talk to me but the agent would request that I get a call-back within 48 hours. Now, a full week after my original request, nobody has called me back. Lifeline’s customer service is deplorable.

Lifeline response

Roger, Thank you for providing your feedback along with your account information. We are sorry to hear about your experience and I will send you a private message with an additional update.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I was ordering this service for my Father. I received an email from AARP about a deal we could get as AARP members on Lifeline services. I called and explained what was going on with my Dad. I was told I could order the pendant with "fall detection" for slightly more than the normal rate. I ordered the service. I was informed that we would have the device within 4 days. I ordered on December 1. I called again on the 9th when we still hadn't received anything. I was then informed that they didn't know when I would receive my order as all their devices are "refurbished" and they couldn't get the necessary parts.

I asked when the issue started and I was told a few days ago. So I then asked if it was going on since the beginning of the month. I was told since the beginning of that week. I then asked why my order didn't ship when I ordered it. It was then she said yes issue since the beginning of the month. I have since cancelled my order since they have no clue when I would actually get the equipment and they don't tell you up front they are refurbished.

Lifeline response

Jennie, We are sorry to hear about your negative experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. We are able to verify this account with the information provided from your review. We have already taken the necessary steps to get this equipment shipped out as a priority. Once we get the tracking number this will be shipped via FedEx and I will send you a private message with the tracking information. I also want to reassure you that the necessary steps will be taken with the representatives that you spoke to and ensure they are coached appropriately. I will keep you updated as soon as I can get the tracking number.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

Without a doubt the worst experience in my life dealing with a company. 45 plus minutes hold time every time I called. Took them 5 weeks to get the product to the gravely ill friend I bought it for. Told me flat out lies about the order status. Got a different story from each rep I called. I called them 5 or 6 times over a 5 week period. Each time I was assured my order was being given "preferred status". I was promised call backs I never received. Horrible company!

Lifeline response

Mr. Liddell, We are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. We will be sure to coach the representative accordingly that processed the order. We have experienced some shipping delays unfortunately as well. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. If you need anything further or still need to speak to a supervisor for any reason please reply back and we can have the appropriate supervisor call you to discuss this.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

Where is my equipment??!! I have been waiting almost two months and Every time I call I am told that there are Shipping delays. Someone on the phone should have more specific information than the same old response.

Lifeline response

We are able to verify your account and will work on getting this equipment expedited out to you. Once we get the tracking number I will send you a private message with it that will be shipped via FedEx. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Been on order over 2 months. I have called 3xs. It's sitting somewhere with no tracking code. I don't like being without one. I hate I am not kept up to date. Afraid to step out or take shower. I have fallen once.

Lifeline response

Stephanie, We are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. I will send you a private message with what are going to do to get this resolved for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
    AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
    iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
     World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009