4.1/5 (266 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Top Lifeline Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. … Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall...

Verified

... I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the ...

Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Lifeline?

Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers home-based and mobile medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices contact a 24-hour monitoring center that can send help to the user.

The company, originally called Lifeline Systems and then Philips Lifeline, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards since then.

About Lifeline monitoring center

Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Lifeline caregiver tools

Lifeline offers caregivers multiple resources, including advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

The Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. This app also lets users share notes and updates on their well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.

Lifeline medical alert costs

Lifeline’s prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that additional upfront fees are usually required.

HomeSafe StandardHomeSafe with AutoAlertGoSafe 2
Monthly fee$29.95 or $43.95$44.95 or $58.95$49.95
Device fee$0$0$99.95
Activation fee$50$50$0
Installation fee$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99
Cancellation fee$50$50$50

Lifeline FAQ

How does Lifeline work?

Lifeline medical alert systems can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a response center. Its monitoring centers, based in the U.S. and Canada, have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you and reach out to either emergency services or a personal contact.

Certain devices also feature unique technologies, including:

• Fall detection: AutoAlert is an automatic fall detection technology created by Lifeline that detects if you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button.
  • Location technologies: The GoSafe 2 has five different location technologies, including Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon to identify where you are.
Does Medicare cover Lifeline?
Original Medicare does not generally cover medical alert systems. However, some Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans might.
What is Lifeline’s return policy?
You can return your purchased pendants within 30 days for a full refund if they are in good condition. However, if you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Lifeline medical alert system?
No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Lifeline.
Does Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Yes, the warranty for a Lifeline GoSafe medical device is for one year. However, the company’s other devices don’t appear to have warranties.

Is Lifeline legit?

If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Lifeline. Its devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals who can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: May 8, 2022

My Lifeline device has been pretty good. It's just Lifeline is going away from hard telephone lines, and they're going into this computer thing where your phone line runs through the computer modem. Because of that, there's a 5 or 10-minute delay. I didn't realize this at first because we would press the button to do the monthly check, and at one time, it took over 10 minutes and we couldn't understand why. I talked to one of the people and they were like, “No, the call came in immediately. It did not wait or nothing." She contacted one of those technical guys, talked to him, and he said that it's probably on our end. There's something wrong with the connection. Then I realized and told him we don't have a regular hard line. That was when he said that I got to have a hard line to connect directly to that.

Other than that, the thing’s great. If I could stop hitting it accidentally, I'll be all right. If it happens, they are very nice about it. I was in the shower one time and I hit it. I heard them at the door because they were gonna break in the door. It’s one of those $1,000 doors with the leaded glass. It’s beautiful. So, I'm glad that I heard something. I turned the shower off. I came out and there was the firefighter down the road from me. They came because they got the call, and I was in the shower so what I started doing is leaving the door open in case anything like that happens again. I love the peace of mind that my device gives. I'm with them because of the fall detection. If I fall and hit my head and I'm knocked unconscious, they will be coming to get me, and that’s what I need.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2022

The responses that I've gotten from Lifeline whenever I've happened to activate the device by mistake have been excellent. The quality of the device is excellent, too. But I am very dissatisfied with the lanyard because it doesn't stay attached. There's a good chance that it'll just slip down inside my clothing when I'm out walking and be lost. This particular lanyard came with a new and improved device in December. The old lanyard was just fine. I wish that I detached it when I returned the initial device that I was sent because then I would not be having any problems. I had no idea that they were gonna be sending out such poor-quality equipment.

I don't wanna lose the device. I have to jigger it so that it gets up that short. In order to take it off, I have to release it to take it over my head. Because when it's shortened, it won't go over my head. It's difficult to find to close it, although it's very easy to get it open. I've had three different occasions and been told that I would be sent a new lanyard. But that has never happened. They're not doing what they said they would.

Not only that, I had an occasion when it came off while I was sleeping at night. I must have been lying on top of it because, somehow, they were alerted. But I did not hear any voice message coming over the device. While an ambulance was standing at the ready, the person who was in charge of doing all this did not just dispatch the ambulance but called my son who lives 30 miles away and also called the director of the retirement community where I live and tried to get me on the cell phone. Since sometimes I get prank calls on the cell phone in the middle of the night, I didn't bother to get up and answer them. But when the landline started to ring, I got up and answered the phone. The ambulance never came. But I didn’t want this thing to happen again.

The other day, I went for a long walk, and I put the device in my jacket pocket. When I took my jacket off, when I stopped at the library, the pocket hit the chair that I was meaning to sit on and that alerted the device. I got a message. “Are you all right?” So it's been a real nuisance. I can't believe I'm paying more than $50 for this lack of service every month. But the device itself is what I need. My son wanted to have the comfort of knowing that I was equipped in this way.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I had become very handicapped, and I have a caregiver. But to have a button to go around my neck for wherever I go has proven to be very helpful. I've had Philips Lifeline for years, and never had any trouble with it at all. And then, we moved and got the other device put in. And by that time, there was GPS associated with it, which delighted me. And then, everything went crazy administratively because we get these phone calls from Philips Lifeline that became harassing. And they would call and tell us to unplug things. There was no way I could unplug it. I was totally handicapped at the time. My caregiver wasn't available every single second. And then, they would notify all of our contacts, and then they would come over. It would disrupt us for two days to get it straightened out. And then, everything would go on.

Everything was perfect until a couple of years ago when they changed the system and we started getting these annoying phone calls. For example, one night, the police came out here at 2 o'clock in the morning, shining red lights into the windows and everything. And we said, “Oh, it's our lifeline system again.” And then, they came back again, two hours later. They didn't know what to do. It has been a major harassment to our neighborhood. And it was always on a Saturday morning that they call and tell us, “We're receiving something that the thing isn't plugged in.” And it was plugged in. I'm secure if it works. But when I get these calls from them, telling me that it's not working, and it's working, something wrong, that doesn't make me very secure. But they've sent us a new unit now which we're going to try.

Lifeline response

Marilynn, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad that you enjoy or GPS enabled device. We are sorry that you received these phone calls asking you to unplug the equipment. We have a department that monitors the equipment for various maintenance signals and they should have handled that better, we apologize for this. If at any time you are unable or do not feel safe doing what is asked please let them know and you can call us back when it's convenient for you. If you have any questions about the equipment we can be reached at 1-800-635-6156 and will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 26, 2021

My Philips Lifeline does provide another layer of security knowing that if something was to occur, I could just push a button. When I have accidentally pushed a button, someone was immediately there on the line, which is really good. When you’re home by yourself, you know that you can reach out to someone, and they can talk with you and get help to you right away. That's the main security that I love about the system. I did have one situation where I did not even touch the button, and I heard someone else's conversation. I don’t know how that happened, and that may be something that they could look into because that was someone else's private matter. I know I didn't hit my button.

I just keep my device near me. I don’t like things on my neck. I don’t even wear jewelry around my neck. So, I just have it with me while I’m at home. When I go to my bedroom, it’s the same where I have it right there near me. The only thing is if you lose power at your home, especially with storms, then that's not going to work. It will be affected if I was to lose power because that's plugged in. Thank God, I’m in an area where there’s not a lot of power shortages. If they can make a product that one can take outside of the home, I'll be glad to be in on the details of it. It would be wonders. What I have is an in-home model. Overall, Philips Lifeline is an awesome service for those of us that’s disabled, and even for the families taking care of someone that's disabled. It provides comfort and peace to the person that's needing it and to the family member that's taking care of the person that needs it. It’s working both ways.

Original review: May 29, 2021

I'm fine with my Philips Lifeline. It was offered by my insurance and I got it because it was free. I picked the one around the house because I am in the house most of the time. I have the necklace and it is good in the house itself. But I would also like something that I can wear outside that would cover me. I take my dog for a walk and I'm always afraid that something is going to happen. That aside, I love having my Lifeline because I live by myself. It really helps me feel more at ease. It happened to me before that I fell and I hurt my back. I ended up on the floor and couldn't move. It took me five hours to crawl to the phone. If I had the medical alert, I could have pressed that instead.

Lifeline response

Ellen, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to know that our service makes you more at ease and we can be there for you when you need us. If you are able to reach out to our customer service team at 1-800-635-6156 they are happy to discuss all of our available options with you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 13, 2022

This company is the most incompetent customer service I've ever dealt with. I was sent the wrong equipment for my phone service, I was told that the correct equipment was shipped and on its way only to sit here weeks later and still no equipment and then another phone call. After speaking to 9 different people that my account had been cancelled, asking me why I cancelled, I didn't and telling them that I have no idea where they got that information from, it wasn't me. I have shipped back the wrong equipment per their request on May 5, 2022 by FedEx and as of May 12, 2022 I'm getting another phone call inquiring about has the equipment been shipped back.

This company's customer service has been a most horrible experience, nothing but a stressful situation created for a senior citizen with medical issues and my Medicare Advantage Plan contracting with this company and getting paid for this kind of ordeal. Maybe they've worked for other people but that certainly wasn't my experience unfortunately.

Original review: May 4, 2022

My wife fell on a Saturday morning and Lifeline worked. It's nice to know that it works. I would recommend it. There's a main unit which you have to have plugged into a landline, but it would be nice to have a remote device that would work with the main unit. If she's down in her bedroom and falls and they call, I don't know that they could hear her because she's away from the main unit.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Yesterday, we tried it out for testing and they were nice and professional. They were right there asking, "What's going on?"

Original review: May 2, 2022

I’ve never had to use my emergency call machine, but it's available and right where it's close. It gets in the way once in a while, with the little string, and gets to the side though. When my daughter went to California for a gospel singing group, they were gone for four nights. I lived alone and felt totally safe. I also live just around the corner from the hospital, but between the two, I was fine. I had someone just call me to make sure that I was up and going as well. So, I was covered by all sources.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I fell down in my bedroom, so I got a medical alert device and I'm happy. If I fall down in here, I can push the button and I know that if it falls down 'cause I dropped it once, it goes off that way.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
    AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
    iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
     World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009