4.0/5 (185 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Top Lifeline Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. … Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall...

Verified

... I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the ...

Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Lifeline?

Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers home-based and mobile medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices contact a 24-hour monitoring center that can send help to the user.

The company, originally called Lifeline Systems and then Philips Lifeline, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards since then.

About Lifeline monitoring center

Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Lifeline caregiver tools

Lifeline offers caregivers multiple resources, including advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

The Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. This app also lets users share notes and updates on their well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.

Lifeline medical alert costs

Lifeline’s prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that additional upfront fees are usually required.

HomeSafe StandardHomeSafe with AutoAlertOn the Go
Monthly fee$29.95 or $43.95$44.95 or $58.95$49.95
Device fee$0$0$99.95
Activation fee$50$50$0
Installation fee$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99
Cancellation fee$50$50$50

Lifeline FAQ

How does Lifeline work?

Lifeline medical alert systems can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a response center. Its monitoring centers, based in the U.S. and Canada, have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you and reach out to either emergency services or a personal contact.

Certain devices also feature unique technologies, including:

• Fall detection: AutoAlert is an automatic fall detection technology created by Lifeline that detects if you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button.
  • Location technologies: The GoSafe 2 has five different location technologies, including Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon to identify where you are.
Does Medicare cover Lifeline?

Original Medicare does not generally cover medical alert systems. However, some Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans might.

What is Lifeline’s return policy?

You can return your purchased pendants within 30 days for a full refund if they are in good condition. However, if you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.

Do I have to sign a contract to get a Lifeline medical alert system?

No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Lifeline.

Does Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?

Yes, the warranty for a Lifeline On the Go medical device is for one year. However, the company’s other devices don’t appear to have warranties.

Is Lifeline legit?

If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Lifeline. Its devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals who can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: July 9, 2022

I’m gonna be 100 years old next month and I’ve had Lifeline for about five years to please my children. I’ve hated every minute of it because I don't like having to wear it. But I wear it just in case I have a problem. The device is not heavy. It’s just having something around my neck that I don't necessarily want. If I'm going to wear it, I need to wear it all the time and I do. I have a friend or at least someone who helps me who helps an older man, and she laughs because he takes it off every time he goes and gets in the tub in the shower. And it's been my understanding that that's the place where most people have accident. It seems foolish to take it off at that time.

Sometimes, I have taken the device off and soaked it and cleaned it good. But I feel like every time I shower, it gets washed. Sometimes, it flops around at night. My concern is that I’m gonna accidentally punch it and cause a problem, but I never have. So, it’s very safe as far as that’s concerned. You’d want to use it in order to have it contact. Even though I don’t like the idea of having to wear something and I find it irritating, Lifeline is a very good product.

Lifeline response

Mildred, First off, Happy Birthday and thank you for providing your feedback. I also would like you to know that we do have other options besides the button around your neck. If you would like to discuss alternatives besides the necklace please reach out to our customer service dept. The phone number is 1-800-635-6156, they would be happy to assist you in going over alternatives for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2022

I've had Lifeline for years. It is necessary. If I fall, there's somebody that can call my brother. I fell many times. But this one time, I was in the bathroom and I was far enough away from the sink or far enough away from anything I could grab onto, so I let myself go and I fell. I could tell something wasn't okay because one foot was straight and the other foot was turned to the right. I broke my tibia bone in my ankle. The room is upstairs so I tried to walk on it and I decided I shouldn't be walking on it. So, I slid to the stairs. Then, I sat down and used my good leg and slid down the stairs and had to hold on one of the railings. When I got partway down the stairs, I touched the Lifeline. Thank God I had it on.

A voice come on and they asked what I needed and I said that I needed an ambulance. The rep asked what it was for and I said that I broke my leg. I was asked who I would like notified and I said my brother. They dispatched an ambulance and the ambulance came. One thing my family likes with Lifeline is when you pay more, the alarm will go off without your touching. We pay $46 and if you pay less than that, you have to touch the button yourself.

Lifeline response

Mary,Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to know that our service worked well for you. Should you need anything else please let us know. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have received a diagnosis of myasthenia gravis just recently and there's a potential for me not being able to breathe well enough and at the same time, not being able to call for help. Philips Lifeline relieved the problem for me. I am married but my husband and I sleep in different bedrooms on different floors. He's a little deaf, and I couldn't even call for help. It is unlikely that I'm going to end up needing emergency help while I'm in bed in the middle of the night but that was terrifying me. So this is a very stress-relieving thing, even though I may never have to use it. I am keeping the button near the bedside.

I went through a hospital here in the state that has an office for this kind of thing. A rep ordered it for me and he helped me tremendously. He was wonderful. I've only had one issue. I went ahead and filled out the paperwork and put all the information in but I needed to go back into my account to make a change. So, I filed a support ticket or sent an email. I had somebody work with me over the space of several days but he ended up never responding back to me. The tech support via email was abysmal. I couldn't find where to make that change and all I was asking was where is this. The rep went off on asking for all sorts of thing. I said that all I needed was a screenshot pointing to where the button is. I wasn’t nasty. But at that point, he never even responded to me again. So I don't know at all how most people access any of this stuff.

I called a rep and she got the information. I still don't know how to alter that in the app though. I have to make this change again but I don't want to have to make a phone call. I'm used to being able to go into an app or into a website and making these changes myself. And this kind of thing may well be more reliant on a phone call to ask for help. But other than that, I'm fine with the whole thing.

Lifeline response

Delia, We are very happy to hear that you feel safer with our service Please know we are there when you anytime you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My Lifeline device has been pretty good. It's just Lifeline is going away from hard telephone lines, and they're going into this computer thing where your phone line runs through the computer modem. Because of that, there's a 5 or 10-minute delay. I didn't realize this at first because we would press the button to do the monthly check, and at one time, it took over 10 minutes and we couldn't understand why. I talked to one of the people and they were like, “No, the call came in immediately. It did not wait or nothing." She contacted one of those technical guys, talked to him, and he said that it's probably on our end. There's something wrong with the connection. Then I realized and told him we don't have a regular hard line. That was when he said that I got to have a hard line to connect directly to that.

Other than that, the thing’s great. If I could stop hitting it accidentally, I'll be all right. If it happens, they are very nice about it. I was in the shower one time and I hit it. I heard them at the door because they were gonna break in the door. It’s one of those $1,000 doors with the leaded glass. It’s beautiful. So, I'm glad that I heard something. I turned the shower off. I came out and there was the firefighter down the road from me. They came because they got the call, and I was in the shower so what I started doing is leaving the door open in case anything like that happens again. I love the peace of mind that my device gives. I'm with them because of the fall detection. If I fall and hit my head and I'm knocked unconscious, they will be coming to get me, and that’s what I need.

Original review: April 26, 2022

The responses that I've gotten from Lifeline whenever I've happened to activate the device by mistake have been excellent. The quality of the device is excellent, too. But I am very dissatisfied with the lanyard because it doesn't stay attached. There's a good chance that it'll just slip down inside my clothing when I'm out walking and be lost. This particular lanyard came with a new and improved device in December. The old lanyard was just fine. I wish that I detached it when I returned the initial device that I was sent because then I would not be having any problems. I had no idea that they were gonna be sending out such poor-quality equipment.

I don't wanna lose the device. I have to jigger it so that it gets up that short. In order to take it off, I have to release it to take it over my head. Because when it's shortened, it won't go over my head. It's difficult to find to close it, although it's very easy to get it open. I've had three different occasions and been told that I would be sent a new lanyard. But that has never happened. They're not doing what they said they would.

Not only that, I had an occasion when it came off while I was sleeping at night. I must have been lying on top of it because, somehow, they were alerted. But I did not hear any voice message coming over the device. While an ambulance was standing at the ready, the person who was in charge of doing all this did not just dispatch the ambulance but called my son who lives 30 miles away and also called the director of the retirement community where I live and tried to get me on the cell phone. Since sometimes I get prank calls on the cell phone in the middle of the night, I didn't bother to get up and answer them. But when the landline started to ring, I got up and answered the phone. The ambulance never came. But I didn’t want this thing to happen again.

The other day, I went for a long walk, and I put the device in my jacket pocket. When I took my jacket off, when I stopped at the library, the pocket hit the chair that I was meaning to sit on and that alerted the device. I got a message. “Are you all right?” So it's been a real nuisance. I can't believe I'm paying more than $50 for this lack of service every month. But the device itself is what I need. My son wanted to have the comfort of knowing that I was equipped in this way.

Lifeline response

Sara, thank you for providing this valuable feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you have had nice interactions when reaching out to us. If you would like a replacement sent please call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 and they will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Ordered system through United Healthcare. Haven't heard anything for a few weeks. Cannot create an account for the app. I had to call customer service and the rep said they have a backorder. No one has no idea when I will receive the system. Never use Philips for anything important in your life because it shows time and time again Philips doesn't care about anyone.

Lifeline response

Larry, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. This is not the customer service we strive to give any member. Please allow me to get this expedited for you. I will follow up with you with FedEx shipping information as soon as I get this from our warehouse. I assure you, we will get a resolution to this matter as quickly as possible. I apologize to you for all delays you have experienced.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I had always had Lifeline. I'm satisfied with it.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I became eligible for this service through my insurance, United Health Care on September 1, 2022. Through all of my efforts, the company didn’t even have us on their records until September 26, 2022. I called on September 23, 2022 and ended up ordering the equipment for myself and my wife. Then it was discovered on September 26, 2022 that we were finally in their system, so it was supposed to have been annotated that insurance would now be responsible for the service. They immediately said there was a shipping delay, it was said they had the equipment, but still would be 4-6 weeks in getting it. It is now in the 6th week since ordering, and no equipment has been received as of today, November 2, 2022. I am very displeased with this company.

Lifeline response

Mr. Pedigo, I am sorry for the shipping delays you have experienced. Please allow me to research your account and get your order expedited for you. I will follow up with you once I can bring a resolution to your account. This is not the customer service we strive for, for any member.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

My Lifeline device works very well. I just have to be careful that I don't set it off accidentally. One time, it was down too low, I leaned on it on the sink, and I set it off. But I shortened it and I'm okay now. So far, I'm very satisfied with their response. When I came home from the hospital after a hip surgery, I was getting out of bed and I fell on the floor. So, I had to scooch out to the monitor so that I could hear them and they could hear me. Then they came right away and took me to the hospital. I feel safer with my Lifeline on. I know it's there and if anything happens, I can just press it, and they will answer me.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

I’ve used the device several times and one time, I was having a heart attack and I passed out. Before I hit the floor, I pushed the button and I woke up in the hospital. The last experience that I had with Lifeline wasn’t a good one but it worked out alright. I pushed the button and the woman kept asking me if I needed help. I told her that I needed help but she kept asking and I kept saying yes. My friend who was here called the ambulance and they got the ambulance here before the woman finally got it through. So, she didn't help me much on that one. The device makes me feel more secure. I wish it worked more than just in my apartment.

Lifeline response

Thank you for your feedback, I apologize for the last experience. I would also like for you to know that we do have options to wear outside of the home that has GPS. Please call our customer service number at 1-800-635-6156, to consider our other options.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
    AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
    iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
     World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009