2. Medical Alert Systems
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.56/5

Philips Lifeline was the first to provide a medical alert service in North America and has remained the leading medical alert service in the U.S. At the press of a button, we enable fast, dependable, around-the-clock access to a Trained Care Specialist based in North America, who can respond quickly and dispatch the help you need. Its AutoAlert fall detection technology, available with both our in-home and mobile systems, features smart sensors that can identify most falls and quickly notify a Trained Care Specialist – even if you are unable to press the help button. Since 1974, more than 7.5 million people have counted on Philips Lifeline medical alert systems – and more than 200,000 healthcare professionals have recommended them.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009

BOTTOM LINE

Philips Lifeline offers products, services and caregiver resources to help people stay independent inside and outside their homes. Systems are competitively priced, and many include extra benefits like innovative location sensors.

PROS

• Fast response times
  • No long-term contract
  • Easy installation
  • Multilingual operators

CONS

• Not UL certified
  • Activation fees

Top Philips Lifeline Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

I live alone and my son thought that it would be a good idea for me to have the Philips Lifeline if I have an emergency. Wearing the device is very comfortable. I haven't had to use it, but it's wonderful that I have the device if I do need it...

Philips Lifeline gives me peace and security to know that all I have to do is push this little button and I would have help... It just hangs around my neck and I just go about my daily routine… I would highly recommend them.

Philips Lifeline Learn More

What is Philips Lifeline?

Philips Lifeline offers medical alert systems that can be used inside or away from home. Philips Lifeline medical alert devices are waterproof and come with 24/7 multilingual emergency response services — with features like advanced GPS locating technology, automatic fall detection and cellular communicator options. Philips Lifeline costs more than some competitors, but they also offer additional features like automatic system tests to ensure all devices are functioning.

Philips Lifeline medical alert devices

Whether you’re indoors or outside, Philips Lifeline can get help 24/7 through two-way communication. The stationary or mobile alert system will detect falls and answer any call for help with calm reassurance while dispatching medical help and notify caregivers. Philips Lifeline mobile systems utilize technology such as A-GPS, WiFi, audio beacons and location breadcrumbs.

Philips Lifeline HomeSafe Standard
  • $29.95 per month
  • One-time $50 activation fee

The HomeSafe Standard is an at-home device that can be used with landline or mobile phone service. The Philips Lifeline wristband or wearable pendant connects to the stationary box and instantly lets an emergency operator know that you need help.

Philips Lifeline HomeSafe with AutoAlert
  • $44.95 per month
  • One-time $50 activation fee

The Philips Lifeline HomeSafe with AutoAlert system comes with all of the features and benefits of the Standard model but also includes AutoAlert, a sensitive and advanced fall detection technology.

Philips Lifeline GoSafe
  • $54.95 per month
  • One-time $149 device fee

Philips Lifeline GoSafe is a wearable medical alert device that’s ideal for active adults who are frequently away from home. It includes GPS technology to identify your location and AutoAlert, a fall detection technology that’s reliable and consistent.

Philips Lifeline GoSafe 2
  • $49.95 per month
  • One-time $99.95 device fee

Philips Lifeline GoSafe2 is a wearable medical alert device that’s ideal for active adults who are frequently away from home. It includes GPS technology to identify your location and AutoAlert, a fall detection technology that’s reliable and consistent. It's a small, light and simpl mobile alert system that operates with advanced location technology, two-way voice communication when help is needed, and fall detection technology.

About Philips Lifeline monitoring center

Response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. The company is staffed with 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per year. Operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching. Responders are English and Spanish speaking, but can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages. Most response times are 12 seconds or less, and they're available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Backup systems are in place to help callers stay connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Philips Lifeline caregiver tools

Philips Lifeline support is available to caregivers who want to know that the people they care about can always be reached during distress. Philips Lifeline offers caregivers several resources, like advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers like managing stress and self-care.

The benefits of Philips Lifeline online learning center are numerous and help you realize one of the most critical lessons — realizing you’re not alone in worrying about your loved one’s health. You’ll find access to helpful tools and information that can assist you with time and stress management and help you understand the technology available for medical alerts. You can discuss costs, monitoring and safety at home. You can also talk to people who may be able to advise you on the best products and services for your family’s unique situation.

Additional Philips Lifeline services

Philips Lifeline offers additional services that complement their in-home and on-the-go medical alert systems.

• Philips Cares: The Philips Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. The app lets you share notes and updates on your well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.
  • Automatic weekly test: Included in your equipment order and service plan is automatic weekly testing. Philips Lifeline sends out weekly testing signals to monitor and ensure the system is functioning as it should. Philips Lifeline battery replacement service is available if needed.
  • Wireless cellular option: You don’t need a landline to access the emergency alert services provided. The wireless cellular option is through AT&T and provides reliable, fast connectivity.
  • Automatic fall detection: AutoAlert is the automatic fall detection created by Philips Lifeline. It will detect that you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button. It can be added to several of the service plans for an additional fee.
  • Location technologies: The available location technologies go beyond basic GPS. The mobile products include five different location technologies, and the service is included in the standard price. Using advanced methods like WiFi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon, your call for help will immediately identify where you are.

Philips Lifeline FAQ

How does Philips Lifeline work?
All of the Philips Lifeline systems are compatible with either landline or cellular phone service. Installation instructions are provided, and toll-free customer support is available if you have trouble getting started. Once it’s working, you’ll be able to press your help button or rely on the fall detection technology to alert the emergency operators at the call center. Operators will keep you calm and talk you through the situation while they dispatch medical help and contact your trusted family members or caregivers
How does Philips Lifeline fall detection work?
If you fall at your home or while you’re out, you might not be able to reach or press your help button. With Philips Lifeline fall detection, you’ll still have access to emergency response. Fall detection is an addition available to many of the products and services available. The system differentiates between actual falls and false alarms using accelerometers, barometric sensors and innovative algorithms. The AutoAlert technology immediately connects to the response center, even if you’re unconscious or unable to ask for help. It’s one of the most reliable fall detection technologies with 95 percent accuracy.
Does Medicare cover Philips Lifeline?
No, Medicare does not cover Philips Lifeline medical alert systems.
What is Philips Lifeline’s average response time?
Philips Lifeline average response time is 12 seconds.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Philips Lifeline medical alert system?
No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Philips Lifeline.
What is Philips Lifeline’s return policy?
You can return your products within 30 days for a full refund provided they are in good condition. If you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $75 restocking fee.
What is Philips Lifeline’s cancellation policy?
If you want to cancel your order, contact Philips Lifeline customer service. There may be a $50 cancellation fee assessed.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Philips Lifeline monitoring service?
Yes, you must purchase an additional pendant or wristband for your spouse, but there is no additional monthly charge.
Where are Philips Lifeline monitoring centers located?
Philips Lifeline monitoring response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Do Philips Lifeline emergency response services require a landline?
No. Philips Lifelines have cellular options that do not require a landline.
Does Philips Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Yes, a warranty for your Philips Lifeline medical device is guaranteed for one year from the date of installation.
Does Philips Lifeline offer a free trial period?
No, Philips Lifeline does not offer a free trial period.
Are Philips Lifeline medical alert systems waterproof?
Yes, you can keep the Philips Lifeline pendant on while you’re showering or bathing.
How much does Philips Lifeline cost?
Philips Lifeline prices start at $29.95 per month. Keep in mind, Philips Lifeline medical alert systems have a one-time activation fee or device charge, plus a monthly subscription fee.

Do we recommend Philips Lifeline?

Yes. Philips Lifeline medical alert products are designed to help active adults, as well as the people who love and care for them. Philips LIfeline medical alerts provide aging adults with the security of having an immediate and simple way to communicate if medical help or other assistance is needed. There’s also a network of support available to caregivers and family members.

Philips Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Philips Lifeline has been pretty good. My kids said that I gotta get some help in here if something would wrong. I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the button and everything, two years ago. They sent me a new one and I had sent the old one back in.

I take it off before I wash my hair and don't get it wet. Of course, I keep it on when I'm in the tub or in the bed. But sometimes it's hard to get them to go up and down like it's supposed to, and I keep working with it. I just have to struggle a bit on getting it to go like I want it to go. Sometimes it's hard to get them to go the right direction when pulling all the things. When I was pulling on that, the end of it slipped out of where it was attached together. I think the cord probably wouldn't be hurt to be replaced. But I was able to get it back in there. It's holding up and working okay right now.

Going back some time ago, I didn't know that the device was that sensitive and I did something that made it go off. It was about bedtime and it went off in one of the spare rooms and I was in the living room. Then all I heard was a man's voice in another part of the house. It was really scary. When I got to the door, I screamed out and asked what he wanted. Then he asked if I was okay and that they had recorded that something had happened. I then told him that I was fine. All at once, it came back to my mind that it was the life alert system. And I thought I scared him as bad as he did me but we got that straightened out. So I know that if I fall and can't answer, the device detects that.

One time the device went off when I took it off my head. Instead of just laying it down on the bed, I kinda dropped it harder and I heard the machine go off. Then the rep told me that it would do that. So, I watch it every time I take it off to be careful with it. But the only problem I've really had with the device is that it's so sensitive that it goes off when I bend over. Evidently, I must bend over or something.

Philips Lifeline response

Geneva, thank you for taking the time to share this review with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad you wear your button, and thank you for using the service as long as you have.Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions. Please take care.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2020

A long while ago, I had a hip replaced and the doctor told me that I was gonna have to go into a nursing home and be taken care of for at least a week. By the time that we got done checking my hip, the lady that was taking my money for staying there asked who was gonna help me out when I got home. I didn't know. She said she knew of people that did it. She also told me about the Philips device that you could put around the neck or wherever you wanna put it. If I couldn't get somebody to be there all the time, having Philips would be better. She helped me call and we set the whole thing up.

My medical alert device is wonderful. I don't even know that I'm wearing it until I'd fall down and they'd holler to somebody. They're the greatest thing. In fact, I've got a brother that's three years younger than me and I told him to get one, which he did. He wore it until he went into a facility that is kinda like a nursing home. Philips does a very good job and I wouldn't wanna live without it. When I had to use it, their rep would talk to me constantly that somebody would be with me right away and it was not far at all.

When the device was brought in, I had a nurse that was here at that time and she checked on that. They hooked it up and they went out to my mailbox, which is quite a distance away because I've got a cement driveway all the way to the road. She wanted to know if it could be heard out there, which it could. She wanted to show me but I didn't have any fear at all that I would need it. I have no problems with it at all.

I had a birthday yesterday and I'm 93 years old. I was in the bathroom and getting ready for the night. I took my clothes off and put them in the clothes basket. I came and sat down to watch television and my unit came on. I wondered what was wrong. I talked to the Philips rep right away and she said it didn't sound right and that there was something wrong there. I had to check it. I had to go back in the bathroom and get the clothes out of the basket. And there was my unit. When I took my cap off, it came with it and I didn't even know it. I never would have known it. I told the rep that everything looked good out here and that I was not worried.

I sat back down again and she came on again. She said there was something that was not right and that we'd have to look into that. I went back in the bathroom and I carefully did it this time. I checked it and it was there. Those little guys kind of slide into the armhole of the clothes that you take off. I am very careful about doing that now.

Hello Margaret,

Thank you so much for your review and sharing your experience. We're honored that you chose our team to assist during your recovery. We hope you're doing well and are on the mend. All the best, and take care.

Original review: June 26, 2020

When I pushed the button, Philips did send out the medical team. They were here right away but they had a problem getting in the house because I’m here by myself and I keep my doors locked. I have a code to open my garage door on the outside and I had to keep yelling the code to the guy so they could come in. Although I had the gentlest fall in my kitchen, when they took me to the hospital, both of my legs were broken. So I was in a nursing home for a couple of months because I couldn’t go to the bathroom or stand up. But since then, everything has been fine.

The device is very uncomfortable to wear though. When I have it around my neck and I’m walking with the walker, I get it hooked on the end of the handle or it bobs up and down and hits me then I’m afraid it’s gonna hit something and push the button. So if I'm in the house, I have it hooked over the handle of my walker. If I decide to take two steps down into the garage, where I have another walker, then I put my Lifeline around my neck to make sure I have it with me.

The other thing I couldn’t understand is that one time, they came around 6 o’clock in the morning. I heard them banging at my door and I thought the man in the next lot was having a problem going to work and he was banging on his car or something. They asked if I pushed the button and I told them I had no idea how or why they were here because I was sleeping and the thing was hanging off of my chair. It was not in use. If I needed it while I was in bed, I would have to sit up, just reach over on to my chair and punch it.

All in all, I’m very satisfied with the service. It’s good and I like it except it’s expensive. It should be a few pennies cheaper or have more services added. With a lot of the devices, you can take them out when you’re going for a walk in the park and you get so many more things. I haven’t gotten to all the nitty-gritty on the prices but I do see them advertised cheaper. Every time I tell my daughter I’m going to change, she would say that Philips did come to the house when I needed them and that's the end of the conversation. But I’m 88 years old and I’m on fixed income. I have to watch every penny.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about the Philips Lifeline Experience Dolores. We hope you are feeling better after your terrible fall, and we are glad you are satisfied with your service. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service department for any questions or concerns at 1-800-635-6156. As far as the button being to long, have you tried adjusting the length to make it shorter? Please be well, and take care.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Lifeline's service has been perfect. I'm the one who’s supposed to be calling them and getting some sort of update which I haven't done. I've been sort of lax in that department but they have reached out. But I'm trying to think if this is the right thing for me to be using. I might be a little young for the thing I have. I'm a fairly active human being and to keep this thing around my neck is like an Albatross. I got this bulky thing because it checks when you fall and then you can’t do anything. If I'm wearing a heavy coat, I would never be able to find it underneath all my layers. So I'm thinking I need the version where I have to press a button whether I'm unconscious or not. But the problem is if I'm unconscious, I won’t be able to press a button.

I also do yoga and play tennis, and I'm always having this thing go off. It comes flying down my neck because it’s heavy and Lifeline would think that’s a fall. So they’d call and the response time isn’t as fast as I would like but I don’t have anything to compare it to. It feels like ten seconds before I even get a thing that says, “Your call is in process.” Then there’s another wait and then somebody is on the other line. I remember my mother’s being more immediate. But she had the landline in-the-house version. I would rather have this though because I'm an out and about kind of person. I need this so I like it too.

I had the device for my mother many years ago and they are local. Philips Lifeline is local as well and that’s what I like, not that that matters too much. So those were the two and they were rated up in the top 10. So I figured why not. I also do a Lifeline screening as frequently as they can offer them so I felt an affinity toward Lifeline. I just may have the wrong version so that’s what I need to find out. I'm also trying to find a Fitbit so I wanna see if I can do a combo. I just wanna count my steps per day. I noticed that one company sells a two-in-one. seemed like a good combo for folks to do both.

Philips Lifeline response

Barbara, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your experience with Philips Lifeline. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service department at 1-800-635-6156 for any concerns or questions you have. We are glad to hear your service has been perfect. Please be well, and take care.

Original review: March 25, 2020

My mother has been living in Monroeville for many years but now she's with us in California because she took a horrible fall last July 3rd. She had the medallion in the house. Thanks to Philips Lifeline, she had the paramedics there in moments. It was amazing. I was on a plane within a couple hours to get there and stay there with her for four and a half months. I am so grateful for Philips Lifeline. I'm not a doctor, but I know it made a huge difference. She wouldn't have anybody come to that date. Nobody would have went there to see her until midmorning.

We had lots of people who would touch base and check in on her, but my husband and I live in California and we talk to her on the phone everyday, and to have that medallion around her neck may well have saved her life. I would be willing to wager it saved my mother's life because I don't know how long she would have waited on that floor, at least until 10:00 AM and she fell about 5:30 or so on that morning. That would have been a long time. She had a brain injury and that's the reason she's with us now. She's still recovering from the brain injury that she suffered that day.

We still have the medallion and it gets charged. We had a brand new one sent because that one had some trouble. I still haven't activated that one much to my chagrin and shame, but I will very soon. Right now, she isn't wearing the device just because we keep it, and we wanna keep the service because hopefully, there will come a time when she goes back. It's comfortable. There are no two ways about it.

It's just that nobody wants to admit they need the device. It was hard to talk her into wearing it to begin with because who wants to let someone know, from pride's sake, that you have it? It's like, "All right, but I don't need anything. I'm independent." It's just the pride, "I don't wanna show that." And I would say, "Put it under your blouse." And she said, "No, I don't wanna do that. I couldn't get out of it if I needed to," and she was smart enough to know that that was the most important thing, vanity be damned. That's the only thing.

Philips Lifeline has a wristwatch kind of thing, but the medallion to me made more sense with her. Maybe the wristwatch would make more sense too, but it did not become that big of an issue. It's just that she was conscious about it, but after a while, she got past that too. I'm sure that the day will come when I will also have one and I will probably think, "Rats. I have to do that. I hate that." But the truth of it is, it's safety. I am 100% happy. Go for it. Use it.

Philips Lifeline response

Marianne, thank you so much for taking the time to share your Mom's incredible story with us. We are so glad that she wears her button and used the Philips Lifeline service when she needed it. We are happy to hear that your Mom is with you, and we hope she is feeling well. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service department at 1-800-635-6156 if you need help with the new button. Thank you again for your kind words, our best to you and your family. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

The fall technology failed when my dad fell out of bed. And it went off many times for no reason. I had to place the battery 4 times in 2 years and needed a new unit 2 times past year because the yellow light stayed on. When the button went off for no reason the call center called and we could not understand the person. They just left a phone number for me to call back. I had to listen to it 5 times because the person talked so fast. My elderly father could not understand the person at all. And the worst is the billing. I cancelled service on Nov. 12th. My credit card was billed again 11/25.

I called Shore Home Health in Easton, MD, who is local rep. They said my dad reactivated it, which he did not. Was told they will now cancel again, but refused to credit my credit card, which is auto pay. Then my credit card was again charged 12/23. I called again. Was told my dad activated for Dec.. refused to credit my credit card again. I'm calling my credit card to report. I would NEVER recommend this company

Philips Lifeline response

Margie, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are very sorry for the frustration you are dealing with and would like the opportunity to have a representative follow up with you. We will reach out to you privately with the e-mail address that you provided to us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I have Philips Lifeline for when I fall. Everything has been fine. If I had a question, I'd call and they'd answer. I just gotta remember to put it on my neck and to wear it all the time. It's so big and kinda ugly. If it had a nice chain, I'd be very happy. But I'm just glad it's there because I can be a little trippy sometimes. If anybody asks, I just pass it along and tell them about Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline response

Laura, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. Thank you for telling others about your service. We hope you are doing well. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I'm 91 years old and I have trouble getting around a little bit. I was in the hospital with congestive heart failure and they suggested I get a Philips Lifeline and that's when I took it out. I wear my button and every once in a while, I get it pushed accidentally. They call but I don't hear it and then the red lights and the police are at my door. That has happened a couple of times.

Philips Lifeline response

Reva, thank you for taking the time to share this review with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad to hear that you wear your button. We hope you are doing well. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Philips Lifeline is there when I need it. My doctor advised me to get it. I used it not too long ago because I was having an asthma attack and they came out and made sure I was okay. Then it was reactivated. It just works for me.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I live alone and I have a hard time walking so I keep my Philips Lifeline device around my neck all the time. It could be much lighter and I don't like wearing something all the time but it doesn't bother me that much. Also, my sense of security is at least 90% better since having it. Everybody ought to have one.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to share this review with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience Mary. We are glad to hear that you wear your button all the time, and you have an added sense of security Please take care.

Philips Lifeline Company Information