Get Pricing

2. Medical Alert Systems

4.7/5 (298 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Philips Lifeline

Philips Lifeline medical alert systems come with location tracking, fall detection and monitoring from a trained team of care specialists. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

Pros

• No long-term contracts
    • Simple setup
    • Multilingual operators

Cons

• Cancellation fees
    • Activation fees

Bottom Line

Philips Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. Its devices are simple to use, and it doesn’t require any commitment. However, there is a one-time activation fee in addition to the monthly rate.

Top Philips Lifeline Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The couple of times I spoke with people at Philips Lifeline, they were very helpful, supportive and nice. They gave me all the information or assistance that I needed. I was quite...

Verified

I have Philips Lifeline for when I fall. Everything has been fine. If I had a question, I'd call and they'd answer. ... I'm just glad it's there because I can be a little trippy s...

Philips Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Philips Lifeline?

Philips Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers at-home and on-the-go medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices call a 24-hour monitoring center. The company, originally called Lifeline Systems, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards ever since.

How does Philips Lifeline work?

Philips Lifeline offers medical alert systems that can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a Philips Response Center. These centers are based in the U.S. and Canada and have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained care specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you, if possible, and contact your loved ones, care providers or emergency services. If a fall is detected, the care specialist can summon help even if you are unconscious.

Philips Lifeline’s wearable devices are waterproof and come with 24/7 multilingual emergency response services and features like advanced GPS technology, automatic fall detection and cellular communicator options. Philips Lifeline mobile systems utilize technology such as Assisted GPS, Wi-Fi, audio beacons and location breadcrumbs.

About Philips Lifeline monitoring center

Philips Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Philips Lifeline caregiver tools

Philips Lifeline offers caregivers several resources, like advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

You’ll find access to helpful tools and information that can assist you with time and stress management and help you understand the technology available for medical alerts.

You can discuss costs, monitoring and safety with Philips Lifeline representatives or get advice on the best products and services for your situation.

Additional Philips Lifeline services

Philips Lifeline offers additional services that complement its in-home and on-the-go medical alert systems.

• Philips Cares: The Philips Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. The app lets you share notes and updates on your well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.
    • Wireless cellular option: You don’t need a landline to access the emergency alert services provided. The wireless cellular option is through AT&T.
    • Automatic fall detection: AutoAlert is the automatic fall detection created by Philips Lifeline. It will detect that you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button. It can be added to several of the service plans for an additional fee.
    • Location technologies: The available location technologies go beyond basic GPS. The mobile products include five different location technologies, and this service is included in the standard price. Using technologies like Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon, your call for help should immediately identify where you are.

Philips Lifeline FAQ

How does Philips Lifeline work?
    All Philips Lifeline systems are compatible with either landline or cellular phone service. You can install one yourself with the instructions provided, and toll-free customer support is available if you have trouble getting started.

Once it’s working, you’ll be able to press your help button or rely on the fall detection technology to contact the emergency call center. Operators will keep you calm and talk you through the situation while they dispatch medical help and contact your trusted family members or caregivers.

How does Philips Lifeline fall detection work?
    Philips Lifeline fall detection is an optional addition that gives you access to help even if you’re not able to reach or press your help button. The system differentiates between actual falls and false alarms with 95% accuracy using accelerometers, barometric sensors and innovative algorithms. The AutoAlert technology immediately connects to the response center, even if you’re unconscious or unable to ask for help.
    Does Medicare cover Philips Lifeline?
    No, Medicare does not cover Philips Lifeline medical alert systems.
    What is Philips Lifeline’s average response time?
    Philips Lifeline’s average response time is 12 seconds.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Philips Lifeline medical alert system?
    No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Philips Lifeline.
    What is Philips Lifeline’s return policy?
    You can return your products within 30 days for a full refund provided they are in good condition. If you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.
    What is Philips Lifeline’s cancellation policy?
    If you want to cancel your order, contact Philips Lifeline customer service. There may be a $50 cancellation fee.
    Where are Philips Lifeline’s monitoring centers located?
    Philips Lifeline’s monitoring response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada.
    Do Philips Lifeline emergency response services require a landline?
    No, Philips Lifeline has cellular devices that do not require a landline. However, you may need a landline if you buy one of its other devices.
    Does Philips Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, the warranty for a Philips Lifeline GoSafe medical device is for one year.
    Does Philips Lifeline offer a free trial period?
    No, Philips Lifeline does not offer a free trial period.
    Are Philips Lifeline medical alert systems waterproof?
    Some parts are. You can keep the Philips Lifeline pendant on while you’re showering or bathing.
    How much does Philips Lifeline cost?
    Philips Lifeline prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that Philips Lifeline medical alert systems have a one-time activation fee or device charge too.

Do we recommend Philips Lifeline?

Yes. Philips Lifeline’s medical alert products help users and those who care for them. These devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals that can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. Philips Lifeline also has a network of support available to caregivers and family members. If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: May 17, 2021

I have one leg, and my bathroom is far away from my bedroom so I have a commode on by the bedside. I was getting up to get onto it. I was trying for the wheelchair because I was going down. But I was trying to keep from going down and I went down anyway. And I was on the floor in the bedroom. The only thing I hurt was my knee because I was trying to get up on my own and I turned on my one knee. It hurts, to start with, so I hurt it more.

I was sitting on my butt on the floor and I got a hold of my wheelchair. I turned it around and I started pulling it with me. I was almost by the base unit of my Lifeline, because I don't have to be that close. I thought, “Oh, well. The only way I'm going to get up is by calling for somebody.” It was 2:30 in the morning, so I pushed my Lifeline and the rep came on and asked if I needed help. I said, “Yes, I fell like the commercial. I have fallen and I can't get up.” First caller was the fire department, because they're just across the street over here, and my neighbor across the street from me. And they all have my key box combo.

The paramedics came. They were pulling their gurney with them and I told them they didn't need that. I was now in the front and I had turned off my alarm. They came over and said, “How can we help you? Are you hurt?” I said, “No, I'm not hurt. I just had to get back up on my wheelchair.” One took me under one arm, and the other took me under the other arm, and they put me in my chair and said, “Is there anything else we can help you with? Are you sure you're all right?” I said, “I’m fine. I have my wheels under me now and I'm just great.” So they left, relocked my gate, took off.

The next morning, my daughter called me. She lives four hours away from me. And she's almost 70 so she's not a spring chicken either. I'm 93. She said, “I heard you fell.” And I said, “Well, who told you that?” Because all she can do is be upset and worried because she can't get to me. And she said, “Well, your Lifeline called me.” And I said, “They're not supposed to call you. I told them not to call you.”

Right after she hung up, I called Lifeline and told them they were not supposed to call my daughter. And they said that she was on there for some reason. I said, “Well, she's not to be notified because she can't get to me anyway. It doesn't do any good.” So the rep said that she would take my daughter off immediately, and she did. She said, “Now she won't be called for any reason whatsoever.” And I said, “Not any.” She said, “Nope. Not any.” The next day, I checked my answering machine. There was my Lifeline, and they said, “Your alarm went off during the night, but someone that knew the combination turned it off, so we didn't send the police so there'll be no charge.” That was the end of my experience.

As far as having somebody come, I'm very satisfied. But I've been having problems with the prices since I change from the telephone landline, being connected to it, and having the new unit. They told me it would be one price. And then when it was on my bill, it was another price. That was the third time I called them, and each time, I would get a different person and they would quote me a different price.

The last one was a price I was satisfied with, so I said, “Okay, that'll be on my bill on my Visa card.” They take it out automatically. And it was $5 and some cents more than they quoted me. So I thought, “Maybe the last quote they did will be on next month, so I'll just wait.” But that's the only problem I've had is with the billing. If I could get the same person twice, it would be a good thing. There are good people when they come on the line, and they all mean well, except that things get messed up. Also, I don't like the cord that goes around my neck. It makes me itch. And I'm afraid to cut it to put a gold chain on it for fear the gold chain wouldn’t fit through the hole on the little device. Philips Lifeline should change that cord. More metal. Maybe silver or something that doesn't turn color.

Philips Lifeline response

Bonnalee, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad that we were able to get you the help that was needed. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2021

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. And you have to have three different devices for the shower, for the home and then another one if you went some place. It's not worth it. I've got one device with Philips Lifeline and it takes care of everything. Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall, it alerts them and that is very much needed. That has saved me several times.

I had a bad fall last January. There were some rocks surrounding my flower gardens and I tripped over them and fell on the rocks on the other side. My arms wouldn't work and my legs were throbbing. I couldn't lift myself up to be able to sit up or get up. I couldn't make a move or do anything and I was here by myself. My alarm went off and I wasn't in the house to respond to the call that would automatically call Philips Lifeline doing service. They couldn't get me and I couldn't respond to them, and they automatically called the ambulance. The ambulance came, got me and took me to the emergency room. This Philips service means to me and has helped me so many times. I fell on my back last Tuesday here in the house as I was putting a flower bow up on the shelf and totally lost my balance. Philips was there and they took care of me.

I got Philips over 10 years ago and if they come out with any new things, I check to see if they would be beneficial to me. They came out with that pill thing but I’m on a total of 30 medications a day and I take 8 to 10 pills each time. So, I couldn't use theirs because it wasn't large enough to hold the number of pills that I require in a day’s time. I recommend them to any of my friends. I go to a community group center for the older people and even there, I talk to them about Philips. A lot of them use their phones but you don't always have your phone on you. I'm one of those people. I don't carry my phone with me everywhere I go. Not even here in the house. I have it sitting right by my chair. I use a cell phone but wearing this device around my neck, it’s with me wherever I gotta go. Philips should continue to do the wonderful job they’re doing.

Philips Lifeline response

Beverly, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that we were there when you needed us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

My kids wanted me to have the device. I’m 92 years old. I was well up in the 80’s when I got it. It is just for their peace of mind. They're the ones who got Philips Lifeline. My husband passed away five years ago. Before that, I didn't need it. There was somebody always around. I asked how come they got one that doesn't work when you go away, and they said, “Because you’re never without your cell phone, mom. You can dial 911 just as easily.” I said, “You’re right.” That was the end of that. That was my only question when they got one that was only good here. It didn’t work one time, and they had to send me another one, and I had to return the one I had. That was all. I wear it and that’s it.

I have no complaints except that one thing that was humorous was, one day Philips Lifeline called and my alert was ringing. I was sitting in the recliner watching television. I had four phone calls. And then, my son called because they called him. I said, “I haven't moved from sitting here in the recliner.” Two days later, I was trying to pick up something in the bathroom, and I stayed on the floor and couldn't get up. I thought I could. I finally got my son to come over here and get me up. I said, “It was two days or three days before that they had called. All these calls and I was just sitting in the recliner.” I was so close to the floor when I went down but it didn’t set the device off. That was funny. I decided I didn't want to have the Fire Department and everything here just because I can't get up. It's stupid. But I have had no complaints. I’ve had the device for years and years now.

Philips Lifeline response

Harriet, we are so sorry for the loss of your husband, and we thank you for taking the time to share this review with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad you wear your button, and you and your family have the added peace of mind. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any concerns, or questions. Please take care.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Philips Lifeline has been pretty good. My kids said that I gotta get some help in here if something would wrong. I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the button and everything, two years ago. They sent me a new one and I had sent the old one back in.

I take it off before I wash my hair and don't get it wet. Of course, I keep it on when I'm in the tub or in the bed. But sometimes it's hard to get them to go up and down like it's supposed to, and I keep working with it. I just have to struggle a bit on getting it to go like I want it to go. Sometimes it's hard to get them to go the right direction when pulling all the things. When I was pulling on that, the end of it slipped out of where it was attached together. I think the cord probably wouldn't be hurt to be replaced. But I was able to get it back in there. It's holding up and working okay right now.

Going back some time ago, I didn't know that the device was that sensitive and I did something that made it go off. It was about bedtime and it went off in one of the spare rooms and I was in the living room. Then all I heard was a man's voice in another part of the house. It was really scary. When I got to the door, I screamed out and asked what he wanted. Then he asked if I was okay and that they had recorded that something had happened. I then told him that I was fine. All at once, it came back to my mind that it was the life alert system. And I thought I scared him as bad as he did me but we got that straightened out. So I know that if I fall and can't answer, the device detects that.

One time the device went off when I took it off my head. Instead of just laying it down on the bed, I kinda dropped it harder and I heard the machine go off. Then the rep told me that it would do that. So, I watch it every time I take it off to be careful with it. But the only problem I've really had with the device is that it's so sensitive that it goes off when I bend over. Evidently, I must bend over or something.

Philips Lifeline response

Geneva, thank you for taking the time to share this review with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad you wear your button, and thank you for using the service as long as you have.Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions. Please take care.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

My husband passed away and so I am a senior citizen over 80 with 12 great-grandchildren as of yesterday. Our son had passed away a few years ago and we knew a wonderful grief counselor. I knew that after 63 years of marriage, I would need that when my husband passed away. So, she suggested to my daughter, who is a new grandma, that I get one of the necklaces. I told my daughter I would think about it when she talked with me and the grief counselor talked to me about it. Then my son said that I need one of the necklaces and that his mother-in-law had one. What he didn't know is that his mother-in-law quit wearing it but that's alright. Then I went to my rheumatologist on a regular routine visit, and after he finished, he sat down and said he needed to have a talk with me. He said I need to have one of those alerts in case I fall since I’m alone in my house. I looked at him and I said that he was the fourth person. I would get one.

The grief counselor's father had worn a medical device for years and he lived with her. It was Philips Lifeline and they were so happy with it. It had worked so well for them. She had one of the brochures and gave it to me. So, when I came home that day, I called them. I hit the button once time when I didn't need to. I didn’t know why it had been pushed. I had been away and when I got home, I put it on before I even got out of the vehicle I was in. I walked in the door and I was amazed because they called me and asked if I was alright. So, I have been very happy with it. I have already recommended it to a close friend who just lost her husband.

Philips Lifeline response

We are so sorry for the loss of your husband, and son Ann, we want to thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. Congratulations on your newest great grandchild, it sounds like you have an amazing family! We are glad to hear you are so happy with your service, and thank you for recommending us as well, we really appreciate that. Our best to you, and all of your family. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: July 21, 2021

The customer service team was very prompt and got here soon and I didn't have any problems. The very nice young men helped me get up and they took me to the hospital. Thank goodness, I haven't had to use the alert lately. Overall, Philips Lifeline was handy and came as soon as I pushed the button. I would recommend them.

Philips Lifeline response

Florence , Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. We also would like to thank you very much for recommending our service. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I got this device and I loved it. If I even hit my device, they answer it. One time, I bumped it when I was in the shower and I didn't hear, they sent an alert out. The police came about to tear my door down. They have been wonderful and fantastic.

Philips Lifeline response

Kathryn, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We understand that people sometimes press the button in error. I'm glad to hear they are responding appropriately and glad you are ok. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: July 18, 2021

They're always very pleasant. The device works. The only thing is that it's easily set off. I wear the necklace, and it gets set off a lot more than it needs to by accident. But I have called them a couple of times for emergencies. Mostly my family members come out and the ambulance has come out a couple of times too. Lifeline is quick to respond and their people are really good. But sometimes, it takes a while for the phone call to go through. This might be because of my area. If I would live more in the city instead of the country, it would go through faster. Also, the device always blinks like the signal is lost.

Philips Lifeline response

Sabrina, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear you are happy with our service. Our equipment will flash for a few reasons: No dial tone/signal, phone line is in use or no power detected. If you ever have any questions about the equipment please call us at 800-852-5433 and we are always happy to assist. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Their reps were good when my device went off. It was a fine experience.

Philips Lifeline response

Caroline, Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are glad to hear we could assist you when you needed us. We are always be here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: July 15, 2021

In any emergency, I could push the button, and they'll be able to help me. I feel a little bit more safe. I'm not worried so much because I have the device there. The man who came in here and put the device on was really good. He was a gentleman. He was really nice. The only thing I do not like about the device is that I cannot use it to go outside. If I'd be in the store and something happened to me, I cannot use the button.

Philips Lifeline response

Carmen, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that our service makes you feel safer. We would suggest to reach out to your insurance to see if this is a button that would be covered by them. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Philips Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
      AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
      iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
       World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009