2. Medical Alert Systems

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.60/5
100% Free Activation*
*Partner terms and conditions apply.

Philips Lifeline medical alert systems come with location tracking, fall detection and monitoring from a trained team of care specialists. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
BOTTOM LINE

Philips Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. Its devices are simple to use, and it doesn’t require any commitment. However, there is a one-time activation fee in addition to the monthly rate.

PROS
  • No long-term contracts
  • Simple setup
  • Multilingual operators
CONS
  • Cancellation fees
  • Activation fees

Top Philips Lifeline Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

The couple of times I spoke with people at Philips Lifeline, they were very helpful, supportive and nice. They gave me all the information or assistance that I needed. I was quite satisfied.

I have Philips Lifeline for when I fall. Everything has been fine. If I had a question, I'd call and they'd answer. ... I'm just glad it's there because I can be a little trippy sometimes. If anybody asks, I just pass it along and tell them about Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline Learn More

Philips Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Philips Lifeline?

Philips Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers at-home and on-the-go medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices call a 24-hour monitoring center. The company, originally called Lifeline Systems, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards ever since.

How does Philips Lifeline work?

Philips Lifeline offers medical alert systems that can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a Philips Response Center. These centers are based in the U.S. and Canada and have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained care specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you, if possible, and contact your loved ones, care providers or emergency services. If a fall is detected, the care specialist can summon help even if you are unconscious.

Philips Lifeline’s wearable devices are waterproof and come with 24/7 multilingual emergency response services and features like advanced GPS technology, automatic fall detection and cellular communicator options. Philips Lifeline mobile systems utilize technology such as Assisted GPS, Wi-Fi, audio beacons and location breadcrumbs.

About Philips Lifeline monitoring center

Philips Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Philips Lifeline caregiver tools

Philips Lifeline offers caregivers several resources, like advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

You’ll find access to helpful tools and information that can assist you with time and stress management and help you understand the technology available for medical alerts.

You can discuss costs, monitoring and safety with Philips Lifeline representatives or get advice on the best products and services for your situation.

Additional Philips Lifeline services

Philips Lifeline offers additional services that complement its in-home and on-the-go medical alert systems.

• Philips Cares: The Philips Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. The app lets you share notes and updates on your well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.
  • Wireless cellular option: You don’t need a landline to access the emergency alert services provided. The wireless cellular option is through AT&T.
  • Automatic fall detection: AutoAlert is the automatic fall detection created by Philips Lifeline. It will detect that you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button. It can be added to several of the service plans for an additional fee.
  • Location technologies: The available location technologies go beyond basic GPS. The mobile products include five different location technologies, and this service is included in the standard price. Using technologies like Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon, your call for help should immediately identify where you are.

Philips Lifeline FAQ

How does Philips Lifeline work?
All Philips Lifeline systems are compatible with either landline or cellular phone service. You can install one yourself with the instructions provided, and toll-free customer support is available if you have trouble getting started.

Once it’s working, you’ll be able to press your help button or rely on the fall detection technology to contact the emergency call center. Operators will keep you calm and talk you through the situation while they dispatch medical help and contact your trusted family members or caregivers.

How does Philips Lifeline fall detection work?
Philips Lifeline fall detection is an optional addition that gives you access to help even if you’re not able to reach or press your help button. The system differentiates between actual falls and false alarms with 95% accuracy using accelerometers, barometric sensors and innovative algorithms. The AutoAlert technology immediately connects to the response center, even if you’re unconscious or unable to ask for help.
Does Medicare cover Philips Lifeline?
No, Medicare does not cover Philips Lifeline medical alert systems.
What is Philips Lifeline’s average response time?
Philips Lifeline’s average response time is 12 seconds.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Philips Lifeline medical alert system?
No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Philips Lifeline.
What is Philips Lifeline’s return policy?
You can return your products within 30 days for a full refund provided they are in good condition. If you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.
What is Philips Lifeline’s cancellation policy?
If you want to cancel your order, contact Philips Lifeline customer service. There may be a $50 cancellation fee.
Where are Philips Lifeline’s monitoring centers located?
Philips Lifeline’s monitoring response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Do Philips Lifeline emergency response services require a landline?
No, Philips Lifeline has cellular devices that do not require a landline. However, you may need a landline if you buy one of its other devices.
Does Philips Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Yes, the warranty for a Philips Lifeline GoSafe medical device is for one year.
Does Philips Lifeline offer a free trial period?
No, Philips Lifeline does not offer a free trial period.
Are Philips Lifeline medical alert systems waterproof?
Some parts are. You can keep the Philips Lifeline pendant on while you’re showering or bathing.
How much does Philips Lifeline cost?
Philips Lifeline prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that Philips Lifeline medical alert systems have a one-time activation fee or device charge too.

Do we recommend Philips Lifeline?

Yes. Philips Lifeline’s medical alert products help users and those who care for them. These devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals that can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. Philips Lifeline also has a network of support available to caregivers and family members. If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: April 17, 2021

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. And you have to have three different devices for the shower, for the home and then another one if you went some place. It's not worth it. I've got one device with Philips Lifeline and it takes care of everything. Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall, it alerts them and that is very much needed. That has saved me several times.

I had a bad fall last January. There were some rocks surrounding my flower gardens and I tripped over them and fell on the rocks on the other side. My arms wouldn't work and my legs were throbbing. I couldn't lift myself up to be able to sit up or get up. I couldn't make a move or do anything and I was here by myself. My alarm went off and I wasn't in the house to respond to the call that would automatically call Philips Lifeline doing service. They couldn't get me and I couldn't respond to them, and they automatically called the ambulance. The ambulance came, got me and took me to the emergency room. This Philips service means to me and has helped me so many times. I fell on my back last Tuesday here in the house as I was putting a flower bow up on the shelf and totally lost my balance. Philips was there and they took care of me.

I got Philips over 10 years ago and if they come out with any new things, I check to see if they would be beneficial to me. They came out with that pill thing but I’m on a total of 30 medications a day and I take 8 to 10 pills each time. So, I couldn't use theirs because it wasn't large enough to hold the number of pills that I require in a day’s time. I recommend them to any of my friends. I go to a community group center for the older people and even there, I talk to them about Philips. A lot of them use their phones but you don't always have your phone on you. I'm one of those people. I don't carry my phone with me everywhere I go. Not even here in the house. I have it sitting right by my chair. I use a cell phone but wearing this device around my neck, it’s with me wherever I gotta go. Philips should continue to do the wonderful job they’re doing.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Philips Lifeline has been pretty good. My kids said that I gotta get some help in here if something would wrong. I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the button and everything, two years ago. They sent me a new one and I had sent the old one back in.

I take it off before I wash my hair and don't get it wet. Of course, I keep it on when I'm in the tub or in the bed. But sometimes it's hard to get them to go up and down like it's supposed to, and I keep working with it. I just have to struggle a bit on getting it to go like I want it to go. Sometimes it's hard to get them to go the right direction when pulling all the things. When I was pulling on that, the end of it slipped out of where it was attached together. I think the cord probably wouldn't be hurt to be replaced. But I was able to get it back in there. It's holding up and working okay right now.

Going back some time ago, I didn't know that the device was that sensitive and I did something that made it go off. It was about bedtime and it went off in one of the spare rooms and I was in the living room. Then all I heard was a man's voice in another part of the house. It was really scary. When I got to the door, I screamed out and asked what he wanted. Then he asked if I was okay and that they had recorded that something had happened. I then told him that I was fine. All at once, it came back to my mind that it was the life alert system. And I thought I scared him as bad as he did me but we got that straightened out. So I know that if I fall and can't answer, the device detects that.

One time the device went off when I took it off my head. Instead of just laying it down on the bed, I kinda dropped it harder and I heard the machine go off. Then the rep told me that it would do that. So, I watch it every time I take it off to be careful with it. But the only problem I've really had with the device is that it's so sensitive that it goes off when I bend over. Evidently, I must bend over or something.

Philips Lifeline response

Geneva, thank you for taking the time to share this review with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are glad you wear your button, and thank you for using the service as long as you have.Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions. Please take care.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

My husband passed away and so I am a senior citizen over 80 with 12 great-grandchildren as of yesterday. Our son had passed away a few years ago and we knew a wonderful grief counselor. I knew that after 63 years of marriage, I would need that when my husband passed away. So, she suggested to my daughter, who is a new grandma, that I get one of the necklaces. I told my daughter I would think about it when she talked with me and the grief counselor talked to me about it. Then my son said that I need one of the necklaces and that his mother-in-law had one. What he didn't know is that his mother-in-law quit wearing it but that's alright. Then I went to my rheumatologist on a regular routine visit, and after he finished, he sat down and said he needed to have a talk with me. He said I need to have one of those alerts in case I fall since I’m alone in my house. I looked at him and I said that he was the fourth person. I would get one.

The grief counselor's father had worn a medical device for years and he lived with her. It was Philips Lifeline and they were so happy with it. It had worked so well for them. She had one of the brochures and gave it to me. So, when I came home that day, I called them. I hit the button once time when I didn't need to. I didn’t know why it had been pushed. I had been away and when I got home, I put it on before I even got out of the vehicle I was in. I walked in the door and I was amazed because they called me and asked if I was alright. So, I have been very happy with it. I have already recommended it to a close friend who just lost her husband.

Philips Lifeline response

We are so sorry for the loss of your husband, and son Ann, we want to thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. Congratulations on your newest great grandchild, it sounds like you have an amazing family! We are glad to hear you are so happy with your service, and thank you for recommending us as well, we really appreciate that. Our best to you, and all of your family. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: July 19, 2020

A long while ago, I had a hip replaced and the doctor told me that I was gonna have to go into a nursing home and be taken care of for at least a week. By the time that we got done checking my hip, the lady that was taking my money for staying there asked who was gonna help me out when I got home. I didn't know. She said she knew of people that did it. She also told me about the Philips device that you could put around the neck or wherever you wanna put it. If I couldn't get somebody to be there all the time, having Philips would be better. She helped me call and we set the whole thing up.

My medical alert device is wonderful. I don't even know that I'm wearing it until I'd fall down and they'd holler to somebody. They're the greatest thing. In fact, I've got a brother that's three years younger than me and I told him to get one, which he did. He wore it until he went into a facility that is kinda like a nursing home. Philips does a very good job and I wouldn't wanna live without it. When I had to use it, their rep would talk to me constantly that somebody would be with me right away and it was not far at all.

When the device was brought in, I had a nurse that was here at that time and she checked on that. They hooked it up and they went out to my mailbox, which is quite a distance away because I've got a cement driveway all the way to the road. She wanted to know if it could be heard out there, which it could. She wanted to show me but I didn't have any fear at all that I would need it. I have no problems with it at all.

I had a birthday yesterday and I'm 93 years old. I was in the bathroom and getting ready for the night. I took my clothes off and put them in the clothes basket. I came and sat down to watch television and my unit came on. I wondered what was wrong. I talked to the Philips rep right away and she said it didn't sound right and that there was something wrong there. I had to check it. I had to go back in the bathroom and get the clothes out of the basket. And there was my unit. When I took my cap off, it came with it and I didn't even know it. I never would have known it. I told the rep that everything looked good out here and that I was not worried.

I sat back down again and she came on again. She said there was something that was not right and that we'd have to look into that. I went back in the bathroom and I carefully did it this time. I checked it and it was there. Those little guys kind of slide into the armhole of the clothes that you take off. I am very careful about doing that now.

Hello Margaret,

Thank you so much for your review and sharing your experience. We're honored that you chose our team to assist during your recovery. We hope you're doing well and are on the mend. All the best, and take care.

Original review: June 26, 2020

When I pushed the button, Philips did send out the medical team. They were here right away but they had a problem getting in the house because I’m here by myself and I keep my doors locked. I have a code to open my garage door on the outside and I had to keep yelling the code to the guy so they could come in. Although I had the gentlest fall in my kitchen, when they took me to the hospital, both of my legs were broken. So I was in a nursing home for a couple of months because I couldn’t go to the bathroom or stand up. But since then, everything has been fine.

The device is very uncomfortable to wear though. When I have it around my neck and I’m walking with the walker, I get it hooked on the end of the handle or it bobs up and down and hits me then I’m afraid it’s gonna hit something and push the button. So if I'm in the house, I have it hooked over the handle of my walker. If I decide to take two steps down into the garage, where I have another walker, then I put my Lifeline around my neck to make sure I have it with me.

The other thing I couldn’t understand is that one time, they came around 6 o’clock in the morning. I heard them banging at my door and I thought the man in the next lot was having a problem going to work and he was banging on his car or something. They asked if I pushed the button and I told them I had no idea how or why they were here because I was sleeping and the thing was hanging off of my chair. It was not in use. If I needed it while I was in bed, I would have to sit up, just reach over on to my chair and punch it.

All in all, I’m very satisfied with the service. It’s good and I like it except it’s expensive. It should be a few pennies cheaper or have more services added. With a lot of the devices, you can take them out when you’re going for a walk in the park and you get so many more things. I haven’t gotten to all the nitty-gritty on the prices but I do see them advertised cheaper. Every time I tell my daughter I’m going to change, she would say that Philips did come to the house when I needed them and that's the end of the conversation. But I’m 88 years old and I’m on fixed income. I have to watch every penny.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about the Philips Lifeline Experience Dolores. We hope you are feeling better after your terrible fall, and we are glad you are satisfied with your service. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service department for any questions or concerns at 1-800-635-6156. As far as the button being to long, have you tried adjusting the length to make it shorter? Please be well, and take care.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Philips Lifeline is fine if you’re in your personal home because it has a bigger space. But if you're in a small apartment and once you leave the apartment, the unit is sitting by your phone. So when you're outside the door of the apartment on the floor, you can't answer it. I had Philips Lifeline for years and I enjoyed it while I was in my home because I could hear it anywhere in my house. I was satisfied with it but when I was in the smaller apartment, I left out of the apartment and it wouldn't work for me. I fell one day right outside my apartment door. The unit was talking to me, but I couldn't talk to it because I couldn't open my apartment door. I live in a senior development apartment. So we go out for every meal and I'm out of my apartment more than I'm in. That's why I need an alert device to carry on my person that I can talk to no matter where I am.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Don had been in the hospital several summers. He had fallen. He's fallen because of low blood pressure that fluctuates. I'm here most of the time, but sometimes I'm not. The Home Health people who were here when he came home from the rehab thought the monitor would be a good idea. We got the Philips Lifeline and he wears it. He doesn't wear it when I'm here usually, but when I'm gone, he's pretty careful about wearing it. The only thing is Philips could tell us how to check whether the device needs new batteries before it does need a battery.

Original review: April 27, 2021

We’ve had the Philips Lifeline medical device for years even before I became Barbara’s primary caregiver. She has had two falls and broke both left and right hip. She was diagnosed with Parkinson's and she can't be alone. A caregiver is always with her but if we have to run downstairs and she has her Lifeline with her, it’s good to have if something happens. We don't have it on throughout the day. It’s just for a few minutes while we head downstairs or she isn't attended to but she doesn't seem to be bothered at all wearing it. Philips Lifeline is a great product to have. It gives you a sense of security and you feel safe.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I used the Philips Lifeline device once and it never went off. I fell outside a year ago but they told me I got up too fast. I'm 92 years old and I don't get up that fast. I hopped up because I was on the street. The last device that I had wasn't as big and this one goes off more often if I happened to bump it. I liked my other one better because it was skinnier and it worked out much better for me.

Original review: April 25, 2021

I feel secure with Philips Lifeline. All I gotta do is smash the button or if I fall and don’t respond, they’ll go ahead and send somebody over here. They've always reacted like I needed them and come quickly.

Philips Lifeline Company Information