It's that easy Request Information
4.59/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Philips Lifeline is the leading medical alert service in the U.S.. The Philips Lifeline medical alert service gives you fast, easy access to a trained response associate to request the help you want - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our AutoAlert fall detection technology automatically calls for help if a fall is detected – even if you are unable to push the help button. Over 7 million Americans have counted on Philips Lifeline to feel safe at home or on the go.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3656 Philips Lifeline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My son got the Philips Lifeline device for me, and it has been handy in the last couple of weeks. One time, I slipped on a wet spot on the floor and I fell down, and I couldn’t get up. I used the Lifeline and their response time was very good. They called my daughter, and then she came over and helped me up. The team at Philips have been wonderful. But we have two sides to this, and the second side is not so wonderful. I lost the hand piece for one of my cordless phones, so I bought a new phone. I tried to set it up but I couldn’t do it right. I called and somebody walked me through it and told me to take the green connector. But we still have not found the green connector yet. A friend of mine came over and said they couldn't have me incommunicado, so he rigged the phone up. He got it plugged into the phone jack.

Now I have this extra green connector which I got in the mail. I was told twice that I could have a technician come and look the unit over, but nobody ever has. It was a little frustrating. I called and told them, “Never mind because it’s plugged in like this, and if it’s gonna be this much trouble, I’ll just leave it like this.” It doesn’t look the way it’s supposed to, but I don’t really care. It works. The base station is where the telephone is active, and I have the panic button around my neck. I’d turn it with the button part faced in so that if I lean over something, I don’t automatically generate a phone call. Once or twice, I had fallen and I fell out a bed one night, and it didn’t respond. But other than that, it’s fine and the service has been prompt.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Jean. We are sorry for the frustration you have been dealing with. We have sent this to our Customer Service Department and will have someone follow up with you. If you would rather, Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions about the service. Please take care!

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My mother fell once or twice and she was by herself during the day when I was at work. We decided that she needed a medical alert device if something happened and she couldn’t get to the phone. We got the Philips Lifeline device and their response time was very quick when my mother needed help. A couple of weeks ago, when she was sleeping, she hit the device by accident. I live upstairs and she lives downstairs, and I didn’t hear the monitor go off.

The team at Philips Lifeline called me right away and asked me to come down and check on her if it was a real emergency or an accident. It was within a couple of minutes that they had called me. Also, a couple of years ago, her hip broke when she fell. She didn’t even touch the device, but it went off. Between me running down the stairs and the ambulance getting here, it was a matter of 10 minutes. We’ve recommended Philips Lifeline to our neighbor next door and to a couple of other people.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

In the mid 80’s, Mary fell and broke her hip. She had a cane for a while and she’s using a walker now. But if she was going to be home by herself, she’d have the Philips Lifeline. It’s nice knowing that if she falls, the alert goes out. She wears the button around her neck and it doesn’t bother her. There’s only one receptacle for it though, so if she’s in a different room and she falls, she can hear them but they can’t hear her. But, other than that, they’ve always been very professional and nice if we ever had any reason to call them or when we need to test the device.

Philips Lifeline response

John, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about Mary's Philips Lifeline Service. We are happy to hear that she wears her button all the time. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department for any questions about the service. Our best to you both, please take care!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I fall down a lot and with the Philips Lifeline, I know that I can call somebody if I fall so it helps me. I wear the button around my neck and sometimes, it bothers me but most of the time, I don’t even realize it’s there. During an emergency, Philips Lifeline was really quick with the response and they knew what they were doing when they got here. I tell my friends that if they have any problems, they should have Philips Lifeline. I’d recommend it to anybody.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Helen. We are glad that you wear your button all the time, and used it when you needed help. Thank you so much for recommending us as well, we appreciate that. Please take care!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Robert had falls that led to getting a medical alert device. He wears his Philips Lifeline around his neck 24/7. With it, we could pay to have it if he fell and it would catch it without him pushing the button. I feel better having it, but I feel less better as time goes by because they’re not doing what we’re paying for it. There had been some issues where they didn’t respond. But most of the time, my experience with them was good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have a medical issue and I have the Philips Lifeline around my neck. Since having the Philips Lifeline, I have more peace of mind knowing that it’s available. My experience with their team has been good and everything works fine. I test the device every month and their team is right there whenever I do it.

Philips Lifeline response

John, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review to us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad that you wear your button, and test it monthly. We are happy to hear that you have more peace of mind having your service. Please be well, and take care!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I’m 93 and I need help a lot of times that other people don’t need. I need certain things around to keep me from falling and having accidents. My daughter looked through different things and decided the Philips Lifeline medical alert device was a wonderful thing to have and made up her mind that it was the one to get. I’ve had a lot of falls as I got older and the medical alert device has been a very good thing to have because it gets me help almost immediately. My daughter will not allow me to step out the door without it.

The staff at Philips has been very helpful and very quick to listen and to help me. I absolutely have no complaints. I wear the thing around my neck and it doesn’t matter what happens or when. I’ve got it right with me. I’ve had many instances where I needed to use it for help and the response time has been excellent. It is almost immediately. The Philips Lifeline has been a wonderful thing to have and something that I don’t wanna be without ever in my stage of life.

Philips Lifeline response

Betty, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are happy to hear that you wear her button, have used the service when you have needed it, and your experience has been wonderful. Please be well, and take care!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

My daughters wanted me to have a Philips Lifeline as a safety precaution. The device I got is comfortable and I wear it every day. Thus far, it helps me to know that I can call someone if I get stuck on the floor or some place. I've called a couple of times and their team answered right away and got in touch with my family. Everything works very smoothly with Philips and I'm satisfied with my device.

Hello Rosemarie,

Thank you for your review. At Lifeline, we're glad to hear that you're satisfied with both the buttons comfort and reliability. All the best Rosemarie, take care.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I am dissatisfied with Philips Lifeline. With the service that I have received, I wouldn’t recommend them. They call me as many as two times a night to see if I’m all right, and I’m dead asleep. I don’t have my hearing aids and my machine is out in the kitchen area. It takes a while for me to wake up, and I don’t hear it. It goes on and on. Why don’t they just call me on my phone which is beside my bed and I would hear it immediately? If it's in the kitchen and in daytime, it’s okay. But after 10:00 at night, they should at least use my phone rather than the device because I won’t hear it. When I fell and couldn't get myself up for over an hour, there wasn’t a beep. They didn’t respond at all. But they’re calling and waking me up when I don’t need them.

The other night, I was in bed asleep and the machine went off. I didn't hear it for some time. I could pick up my phone once I hear it. So I picked up my phone, and they’d already hung up and was calling the fire department. The fire department called and they hung up before I could answer. The next thing I know, my doorbell was ringing, and I have to go to the door and assure them there’s nothing wrong. They came in and checked my machine. I went back to bed and was about to sleep when they called me to make sure everything was okay. I don’t really know how they get a signal that I’m not all right in the middle of the night when I’m asleep.

I’ve told Philips Lifeline how much trouble I've had since it happened. One time, they called and I told the rep I was worried that it’d be like the boy crying wolf, that when I really needed them and they’d think it’s another false alarm. She said no, and that they answer all their calls. We had problems a year ago. They got me a new machine and it’s not any better. They advertised it being so great, but that has not been my experience. I was without service, and they, of course, didn’t charge me one time.

I want to call Philips Lifeline when I need them, but calling three times the same night and waking me up has got to be for the birds. For $43 a month, that’s a little steep for getting woke up in the middle of the night. My sister pays about $20 a month for her device, and she can use it anywhere. If I go out, I take mine off because usually I’m with somebody. Also, I don’t like to see an old dirty cord around my neck.

Hello Oleta,

Thank you for your review and expressing some of the concerns you have with the Lifeline service. We've located your account, and one of our Senior Team members will be contacting you soon to discuss your concerns. Thank you again Oleta, all the best, and we'll talk to you soon.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have a very bad balance and I fall a lot. My daughter and son wanted to keep me protected so I have the Philips Lifeline medical alert device and it has made me feel a little safer. I have been in an emergency and I used them. Their response time was great and their staff was very nice, so polite, and concerned.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had Methodist Lifeline when Philips Lifeline took over. I have a letter dated April 2, 2018 stating there would be no pay increase for 12 months. There was an immediate rate increase. They billed my mother instead of me which took several months to correct. Recently I called 1/15/19 to have billing changed from automatic credit card payment to monthly statement so I could pay by check. I called 2/7/19 and found this wasn't changed. Of major concern was the representative pulled up a different client with my acct number. I spoke to a supervisor who stated they were merging 2 systems. I don't trust this company.

Philips Lifeline response

Lisa, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline experience, we are very sorry about all the frustration you have been dealing with. We have located the account for your Mother. We will pass this along to Customer Service and have someone follow up with you. Thank you again, and please take care.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The Philips Lifeline device hangs on my neck and it has been alright for me.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I'm 99 years old and I have macular degeneration on both eyes. My equilibrium isn't so hot on account of my eyes and I live by myself. I decided to purchase the Philips Lifeline medical alert device. I have it around my neck and I have never taken it off since I got it. I sleep and take my bath with it. The only time I take it off is whenever Philips gives me a different one. That's every 18 months or when the battery gets bad.

I've called Philips Lifeline several times and they were here right away. They're very responsive. I had trouble with my bronchitis some time and when I felt bad, they got the ambulance and I got into a hospital. One time, I called them at 1 o'clock in the morning and they were here. Time doesn't make any difference. When I call them, they answer immediately. I feel really comfortable with them. Also, since I live by myself and if I hear something outside that scared me, I can push the button and call them for help. Then they would call the police. I'm happy that I have the Philips Lifeline and I don't know what I would do without them. I would recommend them. Anybody that lives by themself should have it.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Rita. We are glad that you wear your button all the time, and are happy with your service. Thank you for letting us know that you would recommend us as well, we appreciate that Please take care!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have a lot of different ailments. Before my husband passed away, getting a medical alert device was his one request to me as he realized that he was dying. He expected that I would be living alone. Philips Lifeline was recommended by some of the people who I was dealing with. Since getting one, I've been wearing the device all the time, except when I am doing something with my son who has come to live with me about two years ago.

I've had Philips Lifeline call me several times when I was not having a problem. I must have just bumped it just right one morning while getting dressed. Still, I'm grateful that they can call and the reps have been fine. I didn’t know how far from the central box the device would react, particularly when I was living alone A rep was helpful with that concern. I would have to walk out from my garage door out to the road, and it's at least the length of two to three cars, to get my mail. I was concerned if it would work that far.

The rep had me check it and the device still works. Otherwise, I would have probably been tempted to do something else because I felt that was the biggest concern. HoweverI got kind of discouraged in the sense that I feel almost like I'm wasting my money because of what I have to pay Philips Lifeline every month. There are others that are advertised that aren't nearly as expensive. Still, at this point in my life, I can afford Philips Lifeline and I continue to use their service.

Philips Lifeline response

Helen, we are so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad that you wear your button. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department for any questions you have. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My family is in Santa Monica and I don’t want to be alone. I don’t drive too. So, there's a person who stays with me during the week and then another person comes to stay with me on the Saturday and Sunday. I am 84 years old and my balance is not very good. I’ve travelled a lot of times and my eyes also have a problem. There’s some degeneration in my eyes and I sometimes don’t see a bump or the stairs. I have Philips Lifeline and it is for at home that I have to use it. It’s always near me in my bedroom. Having the medical alert device is very important and I’m happy that I have it.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have a heart problem and having Philips Lifeline makes me feel more secure. I have been wearing my device for almost six years and it hasn't given me any problems. It works well.

Philips Lifeline response

Edgar, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad that you have felt more secure for the last 6 years having your button. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I got the Philips Lifeline for my mother, and for my partner who has since passed away. I did a little research and I saw they were the number one company. I looked at quality and didn't look at the price. I also like the feature that if you fall because you passed out, it supposedly works. At the time, I don’t think the other company had that feature. When I set it off accidentally, their response time had been pretty quick. Plus, they were very professional. I just got the new button and it doesn’t have to be connected to the phone. I'm happy with Philips Lifeline's service.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I’ve been living by myself for the last six years. At my age of 84 years, I got a medical alert device not only for my sake but for my family’s peace of mind as well. I leave it on all the time and I don’t take it off. It’s part of me now. I feel secure too. I know it’s here if I need it and that’s a big comfort. One time, I didn’t realize I had set it off while I was driving up the road. A lady called to me and I still didn’t know how that happened. Still, she was very nice. I convinced her that I was just fine and that I didn’t need any help. I’m very pleased with the service and everything’s been fine. I have also recommended Philips Lifeline to several friends.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Dorothy. We are glad to hear that you wear your button all the time. We are happy that you feel comfort and security having your button. Thank you so much for recommending the service as well, we appreciate that. Please take care!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My mother-in-law has been using Philips Lifeline for at least five years now and it has been working fine. She’s 93 years old and we told her that if she didn’t have it, she couldn’t stay in the house by herself. She doesn’t like wearing it but she does and we feel more comfortable knowing that if she falls, someone will be here to help her. Philips Lifeline had come and checked on her a couple of times and, once, they sent the fire department.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Over the weekend my father's Phillips Lifeline pendant stopped charging properly. I contacted Lifeline, spoke to Doris who transferred me to Courtney. Courtney told me that even though the pendant was blinking, indicating it needed charging, it would "probably" work. In addition, I was told to contact the Ridgefield, CT, office and they would manage the problem or send a nurse to deliver a working unit. My first call to the Ridgefield office confirmed the information from Courtney. Unfortunately, I subsequently was called by a manager, John, who told me they would not send anyone and that the original installer would contact my father in 48 hours. Yes, 48 hours.

So my 98 year old father who has had three falls in the past month would just have to wait. The "Lifeline" the nautical equivalent of a life preserver or global radio that may, or may not, work. This is appalling. Nowhere in any of the ads enticing an elderly person to sign up for this service do mention that a faulty product would not be replaced for 48 hours. I'm quite sure that the elderly person signs a highly crafted waiver in teeny print that say's Phillips is not liable for anything.

Philips Lifeline response

Barney, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are very sorry for the frustration you are going through. We will forward this information to our Customer Service Department and have someone follow up with you.Our best to you and your Father. Please take care!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I fall a lot and decided to get a medical alert device. I’m with Philips Lifeline for about three years now and they’ve been pretty good. They’ve always answered my calls and problems. I wear the device around my neck and it’s comfortable. I feel very good about having Philips Lifeline. It has responded quite a few times for me.

Philips Lifeline response

Albert, Thank you for taking the time to provide a review us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad that you wear your button, and find it comfortable. We are happy to hear that you feel better having the button. Please be well, and take care!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I’m 82 years old. I live by myself and my balance ain't that good sometimes. I got a Philips Lifeline and I'm depending on it any day when I'm by myself. At night I sleep with it on. I used to get up to go to the bathroom at night and when I walk to the bathroom with my cane, my Philips Lifeline is around my neck. I feel comfortable with it and I'm satisfied with the device.

Hello James,

Thank you so much for your review. If you have any questions about the service or other concerns, please don't hesitate to call our team. All the best James, and take care.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have trouble walking and now that I have Philips Lifeline, I feel safer. I have used it twice and I received the help I needed. Their response time was good and everything works okay. I wear the device around my neck. It gets in the way a bit but it is not too bad.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I had Philips Lifeline when I lived on Harrison. I wear the button around my neck and I don’t mind it. I fell a few times and I used it. It helped because one time, I broke a bone and it worked. I got taken to the hospital. It was not that long when they came and they were very good. I like the service.

Hello Janet,

We at Lifeline were very sorry to hear of your fall and injury, but so happy that you were able to get the help you needed, as quickly as possible. Speed and reliability is what we strive for everyday. All the best Janet. Be well, and do take care of yourself.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I’m 86 years old and I’ve fallen a couple of times. There was a lot of money to use for my Philips Lifeline device, but it makes me and my kids feel better, so I do it. I wear it around my neck. I don’t like the cord though because it rubs my neck a little bit and makes me itch sometimes. I had to use the device twice and they responded very well. My device is doing all right, except for the comeback when I talk in one room to the other. When I go in the living room and I catch a phone call, I could hear myself from the kitchen. There’s an echo and I don’t know what I’m doing with it. Nevertheless, my family is pleased with it.

Hello Joanne,

We're glad to hear that you and your family are happy with the service and the protection you're afforded by wearing the Philips Lifeline button. Joanne, did you know we have a wrist strap wearing option? Please give our team a call to find out if this option is right for you! All the best Joanne, and take care.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I really like my Philips Lifeline. I got it as I got frightened that I was falling down all the time. I wear the device all day and night. I put it around my neck and I find it very comfortable. Their team had been wonderful when there was a time that I had to press the button. They responded quickly. They came out, picked me up and asked me if I liked to go to the hospital or wherever I wanted to go. However, I wish the device would cover a few more areas around my place. Other than that, I'm very happy with Philips Lifeline and they have done a wonderful job.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Lillian. We are glad that you wear your button all the time, and find it comfortable. We are glad that you are happy having the button. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department for any questions you may have. Please take care!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Philips Lifeline is very nice to have. I had it for a long time. The reps answer right away and if we need help, they send somebody right away. That’s why I keep it. My union wants to give me one, but it’s not like this one. Lifeline really keeps up with me.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I fell and broke a rib and it punctured my lung. I have one child and he was going to be away, and my grandchildren were away at school as well. So it gave them the idea that they would be more comfortable if I had a medical alert device. I went to rehab for a couple of weeks and then they installed this Philips Lifeline device.

In the over 10 years I've had the device, I was able to use it once. There was a time that I fell and couldn't get up. I got toward the device and I pushed the button. The reps were okay, except that they thought I had waited too long to push the button. And the paramedics were a little rude. In fact, my son happened to have been at home and he was here before them. He said he never heard paramedics say what they said. But that was not Lifeline’s fault.

I do find that Lifeline, for the service they provide, is very expensive. It’s $48 a month. I do not believe that it is deductible on my income tax. It doesn’t go as one of the medical procedures. I have already become accustomed to the device. It’s a nuisance, but as long as it’s covered, and I can get through whatever I’m wearing to punch the button should I have to, then it's okay. I wear it to keep my friends and my son happy, especially if he’s away.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Theresa. Thank you for being a subscriber of our for so long, we are you used the button when you needed it. Please feel free to reach out reach out to our Customer Service Department for any questions you have about your service. Please be well, and take care!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I'm 86 years old. I live by myself and my children insisted I get a medical alert device. I got my Philips Lifeline device around my neck and I'm very well-satisfied. I would recommend it.

Hello Mina,

Thank you for your review and your willingness to recommend Philips Lifeline. Thank you Mina, and all the best.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My experience with the Lifeline has been good so far. It triggers at times I don’t expect, but I presume that’s normal. I needed the medical alert device because I’ve had a few issues in the past. None currently, but my children insisted I have it if I wanna live alone. The one time when my Philips Lifeline should have been triggered, it didn’t. I had a stroke two years ago and I got up and picked myself up and walked into bed, I just fell apart. The next thing I knew I was in the hospital.

Two of the kids are nurses, and one of them said, “Hey, that ain’t right. I would normally take it off, hang it up before I took a shower, thinking I can get six feet without any problem. And then my daughter informed me a couple of weeks later, that it was still hanging where I had left it. So I have orders now to have it around my neck when I take a shower. It's around my neck now. However, when there’s something over the top of the device I never hear it until somebody that’s with me tells me, “You’re ringing.” But other than that, I’ve had no problem with them. It takes them about two minutes to get to me. I’m happy enough with the way it works.

Philips Lifeline expert review by Shelley Webb

Get emergency help at home or on the go. HomeSafe plans start at $29.95/month and GoSafe (on-the-go) plans start at $54.95/month. Fall detection and water resistance technology included in some plans.

• 24/7 support: Personal alert services give customers fast, reliable access to North America-based emergency response technicians.

• Fall detection: Auto alert sensors identify falls and instantly alert the emergency response center for immediate help.

• Personal care plan: Remain in control of your life by choosing your emergency contact and in-home or on-the-go system to suit your lifestyle.

• Tested & trusted: State of the art system is recommended

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Philips Lifeline Company Information