Life Alert Emergency Response

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Life Alert Emergency Response

Life Alert was founded in 1987, making it one of the first personal emergency response companies in the United States. The company’s systems have a base hub and a help button that can be worn around the neck on a pendant or on the wristband, and the company advertises that its pendants have a 10-year battery life and do not require charging. Monitoring centers are UL-certified and have the Five Diamond designation from The Monitoring Association (TMA).

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • 24/7 professional monitoring
    • Pendants do not require regular charging
    • Waterproof equipment
    Cons
    • Upfront fees range between $50 and $200
    • Requires three-year contract
    • Not ideal for online shoppers

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Dallas, TX

… I like to wear it when I am driving because it will pick up in the instance of a car accident. The agency calls you through the device, and if there is no answer then they send ...

Verified
    Los Angeles, CA

… I lost my balance and fell down. I didn’t do any injury to any parts of my body but I had to push the button for Life Alert to get me some help. They were able to contact one of...

Life Alert devices

How Life Alert works

Life Alert offers a medical alert system you can wear as a pendant or bracelet. It connects you to a monitoring center with trained professionals who can help in an emergency.

The pendant has a range of up to 1,000 feet from the base unit, and microphones can amplify up to 150 feet away.

Here's how it works: When you press the button on your Life Alert device, it's like sending up a flare to let the monitoring center know you need help. The button is designed to be easy to use, even if you have mobility challenges or difficulty with your hands.

When pressed, the pendant transmits a signal to the base unit, notifying the monitoring center. Once connected to the monitoring center, you can speak to an operator through the device. Tell the operator what you need, and they'll dispatch help. If there's no response, Life Alert automatically contacts the proper authorities.

Life Alert costs

Expect to pay around $200 upfront to get started. Life Alert’s cost typically ranges between $50 and $100 per month for service. Contact terms are for 36 months, making the total payment between around $2,000 and $3,600. For the most accurate Life Alert pricing information, it’s best to contact the company directly.

How does Life Alert compare?

Compare Life Alert costs and services with similarly rated medical alert companies.

Life Alert FAQ

Does Life Alert require a landline?

Life Alert can run on a landline or cellular connection.

Does Life Alert have GPS?

Yes, Life Alert offers systems with built-in GPS.

How much does Life Alert cost per year?

Depending on the services you choose, Life Alert costs around $600 to $1,200 per year.

Is Life Alert covered by Medicare?

Life Alert systems usually aren’t covered by Medicare. However, some Medicare Advantage plans might cover some of the cost of Life Alert for seniors — it depends on your provider. You might also qualify for medical alert coverage under your long-term care insurance plan.

What are the alternatives to Life Alert?

For some great Life Alert alternatives, check out our guide to finding the best medical alert companies:

Is Life Alert worth it?

Life Alert offers a valuable service. Most Life Alert reviews on our site are generally positive, highlighting the company’s reliable service and quick response time, though some say it’s difficult to cancel.

While the price is higher than the average cost of a medical alert system, the company has a long reputation for quality service. You can find cheaper systems with more advanced features, like longer in-home ranges and fall detection, but many people might prefer Life Alert's streamlined feature set and easy-to-understand operation.

» MORE: Questions to ask a medical alert company

Stars Rating

• 96%
    • 4%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.?

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 4, 2024

My legs were injured in a T-bone car crash. The engine block of my car was shoved diagonally across my lap. As a result, if while using my cane, rollator, and fall I’m unable to get up because of my knees. Called Life Alert and the EMTs came to my home within 20 minutes. The 2 gentlemen hoisted me up by placing their arms under my armpits, grabbing their hands and lifting. Once I was up, they examined me for possible need to be taken for a ride to the ER. Once they were satisfied, they notified their dispatch and left it was a very kind and caring event!

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2024

I pressed my Life Alert button. They responded immediately. She asked about the problem. I told her I fell in the bathroom and hit my head on the cabinet corner. She asked if I was bleeding and she said help is on the way. They were almost immediately there. She stayed on the line with me. I was taken to the emergency room. I received 4 stiches in my head and spent 4 days in the hospital.

Staff

Reviewed Jan. 26, 2024

I fell in my living room. I hit my head on the way to the floor and was unable to get up out of the floor. My best friend was here but she is 85 years old and could not help me. I pushed the Life Alert button on my necklace and asked for help. The Life Alert people stayed on the line and talked to me until the help they requested arrived. EMS took me to the ER and I was admitted.

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2023

I was in the bathroom about 4pm when I got up from the stool. I lost my balance and fell face first onto the tile floor. I was lying in a pool of blood and didn’t have my telephone on me, so I hit my Life Alert button on my neck. So, in about 10 minutes a fireman came to my rescue and stopped the bleeding. I had a broken nose and needed five stitches. I live 10 miles from town.

MonitoringPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2023

They got EMT ambulance to us so quickly, I couldn’t believe the speed. Much faster than if I had phoned 911. I had fallen outside my kitchen door when a downpour hit from one second to the next. I dislocated my left shoulder and fractured my nose that bled heavily because I’m on Plavix (blood thinner). Life Alert got me help so fast, I scarcely had time to pack a few things for the ER.

Reviewed April 30, 2024

I have nothing but excellent service every time I use Life Alert. Thank God for you, I am glad I have Life Alert.

Reviewed April 30, 2024

Fell and hit my head on outside curb. I am on blood thinners bleed bad. Hit my Life Alert had good service. I am glad I had this service.

Reviewed April 29, 2024

My 95-year-old father fell three times in the past month. I was able to use his Life Alert. Very happy with the results.

Reviewed April 29, 2024

Life Alert called me when he fell. It was such a relief to get notifications immediately. Thank you!

Fall DetectionStaff

Reviewed April 26, 2024

I fell and the men picked me up and helped me to the couch. They were very nice and helpful. I have fallen numerous times and each time [life Alert] has been very helpful.

Life Alert Emergency Response Company Information

Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.
        www.lifealert.com