5.0/5 (593 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About Life Alert Emergency Response

Life Alert is one of the oldest personal emergency response companies in the United States. It was one of the first medical alert providers that incorporated LTE technology into its devices and services. All products come with professional installation and a lifetime warranty.

Pros

• Long time in business
  • Landline not necessary
  • Batteries never need charging
  • Nationwide service

Cons

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Not covered by Medicare
  • Unsecure website

Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is highly rated by existing customers. The company offers 24/7 nationwide service with low-maintenance medical alert systems. At-home and on-the-go products are available.

Top Life Alert Emergency Response Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.?

Verified

Life Alert was very helpful and worked through a situation where the ambulance had a difficulty getting in the building (security guard issue). The Life Alert employee was very re...

Verified

My husband slid out of bed. He apparently suffered another stroke. Life Alert stayed on the line until medics arrived. They informed my sons about the situation. We appreciate the...

Life Alert devices

Life Alert has products and services that can be customized to fit your needs. Each system comes with a pendant or bracelet, plus a battery that lasts for up to 10 years without recharging. Equipment is relatively maintenance-free.

• Emergency pendant: Life Alert offers safety pendants and wristbands. These are waterproof and have an 800-foot range.
  • Shower HELP button: This waterproof button is designed for use in the bathroom, including in showers and bathtubs. It comes with two-way communication technology to connect users to dispatchers at a monitoring center. No landline is required.
  • Life Alert mobile: HELP On-The-Go with GPS is Life Alert’s mobile device. It works anywhere GSM cellular phones operate in the U.S. The device has an easy-to-reach button and can be put on a keychain, belt clip or necklace or stored in a purse or pocket.

Life Alert costs

Life Alert’s service starts at $49.95 per month and includes 24/7 monitoring from Life Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring center.

According to a Life Alert representative, midrange systems cost $69 per month. There is an initial charge up to $198, which includes the cost of equipment, activation and installation. For the most accurate pricing information, it’s best to contact the company directly.

Life Alert FAQ

What is Life Alert?
Life Alert is a company that specializes in personal emergency response systems. It creates medical alert devices that let customers feel safe while living at home and retaining their independence.

Systems are made up of a base hub and help button. Help buttons can be worn around the neck or on the wrist.

How does Life Alert work?
If you need assistance, you push the help button, and the two-way monitoring device puts you in contact with the company's dispatch center. A Life Alert representative stays on the line with you until emergency responders arrive.
Does Medicare cover Life Alert?
No, Life Alert systems usually aren’t covered by Medicare. However, if you have Medicare Advantage or Medicaid, you may be eligible for partial or full medical alert system coverage or reimbursement. You might also qualify for medical alert coverage under your long-term care insurance plan.
Does Life Alert come with fall detection?
No, Life Alert systems do not come with automatic fall detection features.
Is there a contract required for Life Alert?
Yes, Life Alert systems typically require a three-year contract for monitoring service. However, the company is sympathetic if a loved one passes. “We do our best to expedite the closing of the account so it is one less concern the family has to deal with,” according to a representative.

Is Life Alert worth it?

If you're searching for comprehensive and reliable service from a known and trusted name, Life Alert is a good option. Life Alert is an industry leader — it claims to save a life every 11 minutes, helping more than 595,000 people since 2008. The company offers nationwide services that protect you in and out of the home.

Here’s a summary of Life Alert’s features:

• Monitored: Yes, U.S.-based dispatchers
  • Connection: Landline or cellular
  • At-home device range: 800 feet
  • Battery life: Up to 10 years
  • GPS: Available
  • Fall detection: Not offered

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I leaned over to pull a weed from the front yard plantings near the house. I have two prosthetic hip joints. The left joint dislocated when I bent down and, of course, I fell. I yelled to alert my wife who pushed our Life Alert button. The e-unit arrived soon thereafter and transported me to our local hospital. I was anaesthetized and the joint was put back in place.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

On the phone with my son when he noticed a change in speech. He is in NY, he told me to hit the Life Alert button. Last thing I remember was falling out of my chair. I was told I was found in my backyard, unresponsive. I had stopped breathing and a temperature of 107. I was intubated then transported. My brain was swelling due to lack of oxygen. You people saved my life. Response was in minutes. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I live alone; I had a stroke 9 years ago yet I am younger than most stroke people. I need the security of Life Alert to live on my own. My accident was I was setting into my tub and lost my balance and fell. Life Alert got a hold of EMS which helped me get up and go on my adventure in life. Thanks a lot Life Alert.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Called Life Alert for an accident. I thought I had a stroke, but it turned out to be a seizure. The ambulance came and they took me down in a gurney and proceeded to do my vitals and ask me questions. In a short time, I got to the hospital. Everyone was super nice and family was notified. They always give me personal care and comfort in a stressful situation.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I am getting up in years and live alone. Every day tasks are getting harder. I was trapped twice in the shower because the cleaning crew did not properly rehang the glass doors. Taking out the trash became an artic expedition and I was afraid of falling and no one to help me. I am much more confident as help is just a push away. If I fall then help will come.

Original review: May 31, 2022

My wife had fallen in the shower. Life Alert sent firemen who got her up and into her bed. No medical problems, but they offered EMS if we needed it. We declined. Life Alert was very responsive and concerned, and we certainly appreciate the service.

Original review: May 31, 2022

I fell down – couldn’t get off my knee. Husband couldn’t get me up. Called Life Alert – you sent an ambulance. The 2 paramedics could not get me up – they called another crew. One of them got me up, took my vitals – everything ok. Thank you for being there for me – you are tops in my book.

Original review: May 27, 2022

This time, I fell and cracked my hip, was in extreme pain. Life Alert got help very fast. Stayed with me while I waited for help. I love having my Life Alert, could not feel safe without it.

Original review: May 27, 2022

Fell, broke left hip in 2 places. Hit head, broke glasses and was unconscious for some time. Woke up, hit call button. Immediate response from Life Alert, who talked to me during the wait for the ambulance. Life Alert notified people on call list. Neighbors came at once, let EMT’s in the house. You may have saved my life.

Original review: May 26, 2022

As I said before, Life Alert has been an impactful part of my assistance program. I depend on Life Alert.

Life Alert Emergency Response Company Information

Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.
    www.lifealert.com