5.0/5 (487 ratings)
Learn More
Call Center Open

About Life Alert Emergency Response

Life Alert is one of the oldest personal emergency response companies in the United States. It was one of the first medical alert providers that incorporated LTE technology into its devices and services. All products come with professional installation and a lifetime warranty.

Pros

• Long time in business
  • Landline not necessary
  • Batteries never need charging
  • Nationwide service

Cons

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Not covered by Medicare
  • Unsecure website

Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is highly rated by existing customers. The company offers 24/7 nationwide service with low-maintenance medical alert systems. At-home and on-the-go products are available.

Top Life Alert Emergency Response Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.?

Verified

Life Alert was very helpful and worked through a situation where the ambulance had a difficulty getting in the building (security guard issue). The Life Alert employee was very re...

Verified

My husband slid out of bed. He apparently suffered another stroke. Life Alert stayed on the line until medics arrived. They informed my sons about the situation. We appreciate the...

Life Alert devices

Life Alert has products and services that can be customized to fit your needs. Each system comes with a pendant or bracelet, plus a battery that lasts for up to 10 years without recharging. Equipment is relatively maintenance-free.

• Emergency pendant: Life Alert offers safety pendants and wristbands. These are waterproof and have an 800-foot range.
  • Shower HELP button: This waterproof button is designed for use in the bathroom, including in showers and bathtubs. It comes with two-way communication technology to connect users to dispatchers at a monitoring center. No landline is required.
  • Life Alert mobile: HELP On-The-Go with GPS is Life Alert’s mobile device. It works anywhere GSM cellular phones operate in the U.S. The device has an easy-to-reach button and can be put on a keychain, belt clip or necklace or stored in a purse or pocket.

Life Alert costs

Life Alert’s service starts at $49.95 per month and includes 24/7 monitoring from Life Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring center.

According to a Life Alert representative, midrange systems cost $69 per month. There is an initial charge up to $198, which includes the cost of equipment, activation and installation. For the most accurate pricing information, it’s best to contact the company directly.

Life Alert FAQ

What is Life Alert?
Life Alert is a company that specializes in personal emergency response systems. It creates medical alert devices that let customers feel safe while living at home and retaining their independence.

Systems are made up of a base hub and help button. Help buttons can be worn around the neck or on the wrist.

How does Life Alert work?
If you need assistance, you push the help button, and the two-way monitoring device puts you in contact with the company's dispatch center. A Life Alert representative stays on the line with you until emergency responders arrive.
Does Medicare cover Life Alert?
No, Life Alert systems usually aren’t covered by Medicare. However, if you have Medicare Advantage or Medicaid, you may be eligible for partial or full medical alert system coverage or reimbursement. You might also qualify for medical alert coverage under your long-term care insurance plan.
Does Life Alert come with fall detection?
No, Life Alert systems do not come with automatic fall detection features.
Is there a contract required for Life Alert?
Yes, Life Alert systems typically require a three-year contract for monitoring service. However, the company is sympathetic if a loved one passes. “We do our best to expedite the closing of the account so it is one less concern the family has to deal with,” according to a representative.

Is Life Alert worth it?

If you're searching for comprehensive and reliable service from a known and trusted name, Life Alert is a good option. Life Alert is an industry leader — it claims to save a life every 11 minutes, helping more than 595,000 people since 2008. The company offers nationwide services that protect you in and out of the home.

Here’s a summary of Life Alert’s features:

• Monitored: Yes, U.S.-based dispatchers
  • Connection: Landline or cellular
  • At-home device range: 800 feet
  • Battery life: Up to 10 years
  • GPS: Available
  • Fall detection: Not offered

Life Alert Emergency Response Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response?

Original review: July 13, 2022

I was getting up to go to the bathroom and I lost my balance and fell down. I didn’t do any injury to any parts of my body but I had to push the button for Life Alert to get me some help. They were able to contact one of my caregivers who was able to come and help me get up.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I was outside trying to shovel some firm snow on my garden. It was hard to shovel, I fell over into the snow, but since it was so firm, I didn’t get hurt. My husband called Life Alert and soon the really nice firemen came to pick me up (You also had called my 2 neighbors who have keys to our condo).

Original review: March 7, 2022

The Life Alert box worked perfectly – a person answered quickly. She got information – I had fallen in a hallway and due to bone-on-bone knees, could not get up. She called the ambulance/ fire truck and stayed in touch while I waited. The help arrived quickly – I was gotten to my feet and all was well. I recommend Life Alert highly to everyone I know!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person, which was Life Alert, who was here right away, and were very helpful. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who care. Life Alert cared that day. The crew was very helpful to me. They lighted the flame to make me comfortable, they did their job.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I fell out my front door and could not get myself up. Life Alert contacted my loved ones and sent paramedics. My niece was here before paramedics arrived. After everything was over, they even contacted my son in Washington State.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I fell and was unable to get up. Life Alert called EMS to help.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I fell more than once and Life Alert has always responded promptly and gotten help to me.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Thank you Life Alert. We recently had to use Life Alert numerous times for my ailing blind mother and you were very prompt and alerted ambulance when we needed it. You were great!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Weak and short of breath. Pushed alert button and an ambulance was sent within minutes. Life Alert contacted my daughter to inform her of my status and where to meet me. Very responsive and helpful.

Life Alert Emergency Response Company Information

Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.
    www.lifealert.com