2. Medical Alert Systems

4.9/5 (478 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About Life Alert Emergency Response

Life Alert is one of the oldest personal emergency response companies in the United States. It was one of the first medical alert providers that incorporated LTE technology into its devices and services. All products come with professional installation and a lifetime warranty.

Pros

• Long time in business
  • Landline not necessary
  • Batteries never need charging
  • Nationwide service

Cons

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Not covered by Medicare
  • Unsecure website

Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is highly rated by existing customers. The company offers 24/7 nationwide service with low-maintenance medical alert systems. At-home and on-the-go products are available.

Top Life Alert Emergency Response Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.?

Verified

Life Alert was very helpful and worked through a situation where the ambulance had a difficulty getting in the building (security guard issue). The Life Alert employee was very re...

Verified

My husband slid out of bed. He apparently suffered another stroke. Life Alert stayed on the line until medics arrived. They informed my sons about the situation. We appreciate the...

Life Alert devices

Life Alert has products and services that can be customized to fit your needs. Each system comes with a pendant or bracelet, plus a battery that lasts for up to 10 years without recharging. Equipment is relatively maintenance-free.

• Emergency pendant: Life Alert offers safety pendants and wristbands. These are waterproof and have an 800-foot range.
  • Shower HELP button: This waterproof button is designed for use in the bathroom, including in showers and bathtubs. It comes with two-way communication technology to connect users to dispatchers at a monitoring center. No landline is required.
  • Life Alert mobile: HELP On-The-Go with GPS is Life Alert’s mobile device. It works anywhere GSM cellular phones operate in the U.S. The device has an easy-to-reach button and can be put on a keychain, belt clip or necklace or stored in a purse or pocket.

Life Alert costs

Life Alert’s service starts at $49.95 per month and includes 24/7 monitoring from Life Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring center.

According to a Life Alert representative, midrange systems cost $69 per month. There is an initial charge up to $198, which includes the cost of equipment, activation and installation. For the most accurate pricing information, it’s best to contact the company directly.

Life Alert FAQ

What is Life Alert?
Life Alert is a company that specializes in personal emergency response systems. It creates medical alert devices that let customers feel safe while living at home and retaining their independence.

Systems are made up of a base hub and help button. Help buttons can be worn around the neck or on the wrist.

If you need assistance, you push the help button, and the two-way monitoring device puts you in contact with the company's dispatch center. A Life Alert representative stays on the line with you until emergency responders arrive.
No, Life Alert systems usually aren’t covered by Medicare. However, if you have Medicare Advantage or Medicaid, you may be eligible for partial or full medical alert system coverage or reimbursement. You might also qualify for medical alert coverage under your long-term care insurance plan.
No, Life Alert systems do not come with automatic fall detection features.
Yes, Life Alert systems typically require a three-year contract for monitoring service. However, the company is sympathetic if a loved one passes. “We do our best to expedite the closing of the account so it is one less concern the family has to deal with,” according to a representative.

Is Life Alert worth it?

If you're searching for comprehensive and reliable service from a known and trusted name, Life Alert is a good option. Life Alert is an industry leader — it claims to save a life every 11 minutes, helping more than 595,000 people since 2008. The company offers nationwide services that protect you in and out of the home.

Here’s a summary of Life Alert’s features:

• Monitored: Yes, U.S.-based dispatchers
  • Connection: Landline or cellular
  • At-home device range: 800 feet
  • Battery life: Up to 10 years
  • GPS: Available
  • Fall detection: Not offered

Life Alert Emergency Response Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response?

Original review: May 19, 2021

I am a heart patient. I was getting chest discomfort. I pressed my Life Alert, when answered she sent for help. The most comforting thing was she stayed on the line with me until help arrived. That meant so much to me, not to be alone at the time. When they arrived, they were very thorough. It seemed to be my heart. Stayed in the hospital overnight. It turned out to be my ribs or a pulled muscle but not the heart, thank God. I was sent home late afternoon.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I am an 86 year old woman and I went to my mailbox and fell and could not get up. I was stranded outside in Michigan (it was very cold and freezing) for around 3 hours. I don’t remember much of what happened, but at one point I heard the Life Alert speaking and I yelled at the voice telling him of my predicament and then I heard the ambulance attendant. Then I don’t remember much till the next day. I will recommend Life Alert always.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

At 6:00 pm, I was in my kitchen and tripped on a standing towel rack. I hit my head on the pantry door as I went down resulting in a large knot and could not get up. I pushed my neck pendant and Life Alert, knowing were my front door key was and who to contact, were here in minutes. I sat in a chair and it was decided I should go to the emergency room and get an MRI on my head and it turned out ok.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I have fallen out of bed five times, out of a chair once, and on the kitchen floor once – and last of all – on the back porch. At no time do I recall any symptoms preceding fainting but I simply blacked out suddenly and woke up face down, unable to get up. I pressed my Life Alert each time and was rushed to the ER. Reasons for blacking out are not yet identified. Thank the Lord for the invention of your device!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I had a severe edema in both of my legs, which was very painful. About three am on July 23, I had dozed off in my chair. When I got up to go to bed, because of the pain, my left leg gave out and I fell with my walker. I pushed my Life Alert button. My phone was not by me at that time. When the phone rang, I couldn’t answer it. After about 20-25 minutes, the ambulance came. Thank God for Life Alert.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

Mom slipped and settled to the floor. Nothing injured. Life Alert called paramedics to come help her up. Life Alert is always prompt and follow up and we appreciate your company!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I was having severe stomach pains. Life Alert had help in my home in about 10 minutes, there and then they notified my family. I cannot think of enough words to express my gratitude for the fast action. I highly recommend your service to all.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

My gf almost passed away twice in 3 months from COPD. We got Life Alert because her attacks came by surprise, no warning. Her last attack put her into the hospital again, but this time the found a bad heart valve. They replaced the valve and she is no longer on oxygen. We still kept the system and during that time my Dad ended up needing to get a system. We were already paying $90.00 a month and not using the system so we wanted to have my Dad instead. We were told we couldn't do that either. I called and had the bad luck of getting Jasmin as my "customer service". She is very condescending and rude. We have a three year contract that We couldn't do anything other than pay.. "We had a contract" was her go to along with a little snicker to let me know how important she was.

Just an FYI is this is my first negative review that I've ever written. At this point it's not money, it's lousy customer service. I spoke with someone else and told them my situation. She was more pleasant and professional. They are closing this account and picking up the equipment tomorrow. If you happen to need to call them and get Jasmin do yourself a favor and ask for someone else.

Life Alert Emergency Response response

As the industry leader in saving lives, we work with subscribers and family members when changes occur in their lifestyle. Upon reviewing our recorded calls and your account, we respectfully disagree with your complaint. Not only did our representative attempt to help you to ensure happiness on both ends, she also stayed patient while you spoke over her. When she did try to reach an agreement with you, the call abruptly disconnected. At no point in the call was our representative the way you describe her. When you called again, we addressed all of your concerns, and we are surprised that you decided to post a complaint after we have assisted you with your request. Life Alert considers this matter closed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

A minor fall in the bathroom, chair slipped away and I sat down (I got a new wheelchair soon after). City Fire department was called, they are the VERY best, had good words to say about “Life Alert”!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I am pleased with the prompt and courteous service. I have only high praise for Life Alert.

Life Alert Emergency Response Company Information

Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.
    www.lifealert.com