4.9/5 (529 ratings)
Learn More

About Life Alert Emergency Response

Life Alert is one of the oldest personal emergency response companies in the United States. It was one of the first medical alert providers that incorporated LTE technology into its devices and services. All products come with professional installation and a lifetime warranty.

Pros

• Long time in business
  • Landline not necessary
  • Batteries never need charging
  • Nationwide service

Cons

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Not covered by Medicare
  • Unsecure website

Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is highly rated by existing customers. The company offers 24/7 nationwide service with low-maintenance medical alert systems. At-home and on-the-go products are available.

Top Life Alert Emergency Response Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.?

Verified

Life Alert was very helpful and worked through a situation where the ambulance had a difficulty getting in the building (security guard issue). The Life Alert employee was very re...

Verified

My husband slid out of bed. He apparently suffered another stroke. Life Alert stayed on the line until medics arrived. They informed my sons about the situation. We appreciate the...

Life Alert devices

Life Alert has products and services that can be customized to fit your needs. Each system comes with a pendant or bracelet, plus a battery that lasts for up to 10 years without recharging. Equipment is relatively maintenance-free.

• Emergency pendant: Life Alert offers safety pendants and wristbands. These are waterproof and have an 800-foot range.
  • Shower HELP button: This waterproof button is designed for use in the bathroom, including in showers and bathtubs. It comes with two-way communication technology to connect users to dispatchers at a monitoring center. No landline is required.
  • Life Alert mobile: HELP On-The-Go with GPS is Life Alert’s mobile device. It works anywhere GSM cellular phones operate in the U.S. The device has an easy-to-reach button and can be put on a keychain, belt clip or necklace or stored in a purse or pocket.

Life Alert costs

Life Alert’s service starts at $49.95 per month and includes 24/7 monitoring from Life Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring center.

According to a Life Alert representative, midrange systems cost $69 per month. There is an initial charge up to $198, which includes the cost of equipment, activation and installation. For the most accurate pricing information, it’s best to contact the company directly.

Life Alert FAQ

What is Life Alert?
Life Alert is a company that specializes in personal emergency response systems. It creates medical alert devices that let customers feel safe while living at home and retaining their independence.

Systems are made up of a base hub and help button. Help buttons can be worn around the neck or on the wrist.

How does Life Alert work?
If you need assistance, you push the help button, and the two-way monitoring device puts you in contact with the company's dispatch center. A Life Alert representative stays on the line with you until emergency responders arrive.
Does Medicare cover Life Alert?
No, Life Alert systems usually aren’t covered by Medicare. However, if you have Medicare Advantage or Medicaid, you may be eligible for partial or full medical alert system coverage or reimbursement. You might also qualify for medical alert coverage under your long-term care insurance plan.
Does Life Alert come with fall detection?
No, Life Alert systems do not come with automatic fall detection features.
Is there a contract required for Life Alert?
Yes, Life Alert systems typically require a three-year contract for monitoring service. However, the company is sympathetic if a loved one passes. “We do our best to expedite the closing of the account so it is one less concern the family has to deal with,” according to a representative.

Is Life Alert worth it?

If you're searching for comprehensive and reliable service from a known and trusted name, Life Alert is a good option. Life Alert is an industry leader — it claims to save a life every 11 minutes, helping more than 595,000 people since 2008. The company offers nationwide services that protect you in and out of the home.

Here’s a summary of Life Alert’s features:

• Monitored: Yes, U.S.-based dispatchers
  • Connection: Landline or cellular
  • At-home device range: 800 feet
  • Battery life: Up to 10 years
  • GPS: Available
  • Fall detection: Not offered

Life Alert Emergency Response Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Alert Emergency Response?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

On the phone with my son when he noticed a change in speech. He is in NY, he told me to hit the Life Alert button. Last thing I remember was falling out of my chair. I was told I was found in my backyard, unresponsive. I had stopped breathing and a temperature of 107. I was intubated then transported. My brain was swelling due to lack of oxygen. You people saved my life. Response was in minutes. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I am getting up in years and live alone. Every day tasks are getting harder. I was trapped twice in the shower because the cleaning crew did not properly rehang the glass doors. Taking out the trash became an artic expedition and I was afraid of falling and no one to help me. I am much more confident as help is just a push away. If I fall then help will come.

Original review: June 16, 2021

Awesome response! My family thought I was having a stroke by the way I was acting. My dog was trying to warn my son and my mom that something was wrong. I was laying down as he was doing his homework. They said Daisy was running back and forth from the bedroom to the kitchen. We told my son to push the button and the first responders were there really quick.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I am a widowed 68 year old male. I have multiple sclerosis and cannot walk a single step. While making a transfer from a chair to my scooter, I fell and I couldn’t get up. I pushed my Life Alert button and within a few seconds a voice came on asking me if I was alright. I answered I was fine but I could not get up. Within 10-15 minutes, help arrived at my home.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I had fallen getting groceries out of the trunk of my car. Milk etc all over the drive way. Street {neighbors so quiet – no help) I have a medical problem (use cane) and can’t get on my knees. I pushed my Life Alert; staff was there in no time at all. I could hear the operator saying “Help is on the way”. One of the two staff even put my groceries away. Bless all.

Original review: April 10, 2022

As far as I can tell the equipment is operating the way it is supposed to. I ordered it for my Mother. She is the person that should give this review in all honesty. All I do is pay the bill. The sad part about having this service is any time she has a problem she never pushes the button. She calls me and tells me what's wrong and then we do what is necessary from that point forward. So that's why I'm a little confused about why they want me to give a review. But if she ever needs to use the thing I sure hope it works. Cause she always has it on her. And I'm not always gonna be able to help in time when she needs me to.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Life Alert is the best! Also, our fire and rescue are all so very knowledgeable, kind and so helpful and prompt.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I fell in my bedroom as was unable to get up. Luckily I was not injured. Your service was a blessing and help came quickly. Thank you!

Original review: March 30, 2022

Life Alert helped me numerous times on contacting EMS for me on my falling problems and staying on the line until help arrived. Very prompt.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Very responsive – Life Alert arrived promptly and provided attention needed. Recommended transport to the ER to be checked further.

Life Alert Emergency Response Company Information

Life Alert Emergency Response, Inc.
    www.lifealert.com