2. Medical Alert Systems
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5

LifeStation knows that it's hard to choose the best medical alert device. Their mission is to ensure that anyone looking for a medical alert device will be well equipped to make an informed decision. They are a leader in the industry with a 5-DAY GPS BATTERY LIFE and a 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. Recently, LifeStation rolled out an exclusive feature named “Find My Loved One”, which is unprecedented in their industry.

Contact them today to see how you can get a medical alert device for you or a loved one for less than $20 a month! Their representatives are available 24/7 to help answer your questions about this important decision.

LifeStation Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

LifeStation claims the fastest response times. Optional fall detection is available, but they lack other services like smoke monitoring. The caregiver service notifies family and loved ones in the event of an emergency.

PROS

• No long-term contracts
  • Fall detection technology
  • 24/7 support

CONS

• No activity monitoring

Top LifeStation Reviews

I've had a stroke and although I can manage on my own, I'm always afraid of what would happen if I fell and I couldn't get up, or if my heart started acting up... So, it's nice to know the LifeStation is here if I need it and I wish it would work when I'm away from it. I've recommended it to someone else.

I recently switched to LifeStation because LifeStation's infrastructure is more flexible, allowing an unlimited number of people on the emergency call list, setting up emergency instructions the way you'd like them to be handled, and not forcing you to receive unsolicited calls from the company.

About LifeStation

LifeStation offers a push-button medical emergency response at home or on-the-go thanks to GPS monitoring. LifeStation can provide fall detection technology, and their wearable help buttons are waterproof. Plus, the LifeStation lockbox helps ease logistics in case the user cannot answer the door due to an emergency.

LifeStation service can move with you in the event you relocate and repair or replace both equipment and batteries at no extra cost. The 30-day money-back guarantee allows LifeStation customers to try the system risk-free, though customers must pay for return shipping.

LifeStation medical alert systems

Seniors who live alone or with other seniors but would like to remain in their homes longer might choose LifeStation medical alert system for added security. Those with mobility issues can also benefit from LifeStation medical alarm service.

• In-Home Traditional: In-Home Traditional service from LifeStation includes an emergency console and a wearable button (choice of pendant or wristband) with 24/7 care center monitoring. Pricing begins at $25.95 per month for a landline connection. Contact the company for pricing with cellular service.
  • In-Home Plus: In-Home Plus provides a wearable button and emergency console for customers without a landline.
  • Mobile with GPS: LifeStation’s enhanced location service with GPS helps identify your location if you experience an emergency away from home.
  • Fall detection: A wearable device with fall detection technology automatically notifies LifeStation operators if it senses a fall has occurred, even if the wearer is unable to push the button.

LifeStation equipment

All LifeStation equipment is UL listed and FCC approved. LifeStation medical alert devices are tested before shipped to customers, and faulty equipment will be replaced with no charge to the consumer.

• Two-way communication console: The emergency console plugs into an outlet in your home and connects to the phone line (or cell service). When you push the help button, the emergency console contacts the care center and activates two-way voice communication. The console has 32-hour back-up batteries in case of a power outage.
  • Medical alert pendant: The medical alert pendant is a small, waterproof device with a button worn around the neck. When you press the button, it sends a signal to your in-home emergency console and contacts the care center.
  • Medical alert wall button: If the LifeStation member pushes the wall-mounted button, it sends a signal to the emergency console to contact the care center and enable two-way voice communication.
  • Bathroom/hallway help button: Extra help buttons can be mounted low to the ground in bathrooms, hallways and bedrooms for easy access. Price for one button is $3.49 per month but drops to $2.99 each for three and $2.49 for six buttons. Help buttons are waterproof and come with adhesive for mounting.
  • Lockbox: In the event you cannot answer the door for medical responders and caregivers, they will get a code for a lockbox outside of the home for $2.99 per month

LifeStation caregiver tools

LifeStation includes AlertMessage service that notifies loved ones or caregivers in case of an emergency. In the event the LifeStation subscriber pushes the button, an email will automatically be sent to the caregivers listed on the contact list. This allows family members to immediately know if there is an issue.

The Lock Box option allows caregivers and emergency personnel to have access to the home if the subscriber is unable to answer the door.

The console will also contact the care center to trigger an automatic email to caregivers if back-up batteries are low or the signal has been disconnected (i.e., unplugged from an electrical outlet or phone jack). When the user tests the console, it also sends an email to those on the contact list.

LifeStation pricing

LifeStation costs begin at $25.95 per month for subscribers who pay up front for the whole year (total $311.40). Paid quarterly, the monthly price comes to $27.95 ($111.80 per payment or $335.40 for a year). Subscribers who make monthly payments pay $29.95 per month ($359.40 for a year).

Payments include equipment rental and 24/7 monitoring service. Monitoring for an additional user in the same household costs $3.99 per month. One Bathroom/Hallway Help Button costs $3.49 to add on, but the price per button drops as you order more, with a total of six buttons costing $2.49 each. The Lock Box costs $2.99 per month. Optional service add-ons, including fall detection and mobile service with GPS, are available for an additional fee.

LifeStation Reviews

Original review: June 13, 2019

I recently switched my husband's medic alert system from another provider to LifeStation because LifeStation's infrastructure is more flexible, allowing an unlimited number of people on the emergency call list, setting up emergency instructions the way you'd like them to be handled, and not forcing you to receive unsolicited calls from the company. I learned about LifeStation from my insurance provider. Aetna offers a very good discount on the monthly service, and I was not charged for setup, shipping, or equipment. The in-home emergency call box is a GSM signal and has a range of approximately 500 feet, as opposed to WIFI's range of 35 feet.

I originally ordered the mobile GPS unit that would respond no matter where he was, but that option comes in necklace form only (no bracelet) and is several inches long. My husband is already wearing a Bluetooth device on a cord for his hearing aids to connect to his phone, plus he has an ICD (pacemaker and defibrillator) implanted, so he opted for the in-home unit. LifeStation Customer Service was very helpful in exchanging the mobile unit for the in-home unit. They sent a return label with the new unit. Setting up the in-home call box was easy. The call button comes as a very light necklace; to switch it to the wristband, you have to insert two pins to connect the wristband to the call button. My husband chose to wear the wristband. Switching the call button from the necklace to the wristband was the hardest part, but my husband said that all watches he's had work that way. He says the wristband is comfortable.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My children thought I should have a medical alert because I have problems with my legs and I live alone in my own home. I go upstairs every day about 10 times and back down again. I do my washing in the cellar and I come up the stairs with a basket. I was getting very wobbly and they were worried. I had used the AARP Magazine and there were a couple I called, and I picked LifeStation. I called them and they didn’t pressure me, and they were a little cheaper than the other ones. The only thing I didn’t like was the $5 extra a month for insurance.

I hang my clothes outside and I have a new way of doing it. I just open the window and the clothesline is right there. A couple of times, I'd press on the windowsill and the thing went off. The calls were answered and the people I spoke with were fine. When I go out with my son or daughters, I'd leave that little thing home. I don’t like to wear that when I'm out because they're there to take care of me. But most of the time, I keep it on. It was a little long and I didn’t like it hanging down so long. I'm kind of short so I put a couple of little knots in it. So far, I haven't had to use it which is a good thing.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My father lives alone and he is 94 years old and very unstable on his feet. He needs some monitoring or the opportunity, at least, to be able to contact people quickly and get some help. He has used the Lifestation a couple of times and it’s good to have it. It has helped his sense of security. However, he's very resistant to push the button and call somebody. But that's probably more about his sense of independence than anything else. The device gives me much better security as his son especially not living with him and knowing he needs it.

The only challenge is that the device is in his bedroom, and if he was very far away from it, he would not be able to talk to the person in another room. He probably wouldn’t be able to hear them well enough to be able to respond to them. So, they would just have to send somebody anyway assuming that it was worse than it might be. But that’s just him. That’s not necessarily the box. If the box is in the middle of the house, plugged in, in the very center of the house, that might help that situation. But there's no telephone jack right there. I don't know if it would help if LifeStation to initiate putting the device into a test. That might be something that could be done. But my experience with them is very good. Every time we've talked or tested, it's been good. Their response time is very good.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My husband passed away in January and being out here alone, the kids thought that I should have a medical alert device. I got the LifeStation last April of 2018 and in the beginning, I was wearing it at night. But I was having trouble with it around my neck, so my son fixed it for my wrist. I wore it during the night again but one morning, I must have rolled on it and it woke me up at about 8:00 o’clock. I answered the phone and it was their rep who said that my alarm had gone off.

Then one time, when I was outside pulling weeds, it went off. But there was nothing around except weeds and I couldn't have hit it against anything. I can’t even imagine how it would have gone off while I was just in the yard pulling weeds. My son even called an ambulance because the device couldn't get me. I was too far away and I didn't hear the phone in the house. In the end, I called 911 and they were just getting ready to send somebody. So at least nobody came out. But everything went the way it should. At another time, I hit the device on the washer when it was on the bar in my kitchen. So it seems to go off easily and I felt bad because my kids were being notified and they’d be calling. I was getting tired of it but they said that at least they know that the LifeStation works. The last month has been okay though because I haven’t been wearing it. I have it in my walker bag and that's with me all the time. Then I just put it on my nightstand at night.

Other than that, everybody at LifeStation has been very nice. The people that answered and asked if I needed help were super and everything went the way it should. My neighbor across the street who’s older than me also had a LifeStation before me and when he was having a heart attack, the device was wonderful for him. He called then they sent an ambulance out right away and everything was fine. So if somebody wants the service, I would recommend it. Plus, the LifeStation makes my kids feel better, so I keep it.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My husband had a stroke and he’s paralyzed on one side so he’s in a wheelchair. There are times when I have to go to the doctor or the grocery store and I don’t take him, so I needed something where in case something should come up, he could get help. We purchased a medical alert device from LifeStation which I put around his neck as it’s easier for him that way. We've accidentally hit the button a couple of times and they esponded. They're very courteous and sweet about it. Since having the device, I have peace of mind. My husband feels better too knowing that he's a just a push of a button.

The only complaint I have is the button, especially on the necklace. I've set it off on the wrist when I was getting my husband out of bed. The button sticks up instead of down so it’s easy to set it off and not know about it. One day the police showed up and I didn’t know what was going on, and I had set the device off. I had leaned forward and it touched something and I put pressure on it. I was outside when I’d done it, so I didn’t hear the deal inside the house. Even so, us being on a fixed income, this device is perfect. I checked in on other brands and for the same thing that LifeStation does, the others are way too expensive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeStation?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Price is best among highly rated systems; however, their service is erratic; (1) specifically, we bought the extra "fall down" feature, but today Burton fell down, did NOT get a call back and when he pressed the button the service said, "We do NOT call you; you have to press button to call us." Didn't your records show that we paid extra for the fall-down button and feature???

(2) As company recommends, at end of our first month of service, we pressed button to confirm that our connection was working properly. However, after waiting nearly a minute (between time from initial pick-up, to their transfer and wait), THEN the recording said the signal was too weak and they could not connect. Before accepting the LifeStation system we tested (called via the button) from 5-6 different location in our 10 floor high-rise concrete/steel building, including in the basement and on the elevator. This test of service call was from Burton's kitchen (7th floor of building), so NO acceptable reason for failed connection.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

The people are friendly. However the unit alerts when I sit down, when I toss it on the bed, etc. But when I fell down it never alerted. I am unhappy with these results. I am not inclined to recommend this unit at this time. I could not push the button because of how I ended up on the ground. There needs to be more work and research done on these units or they are not worth the money.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I am disabled and can't walk at all. I use a wheelchair and one day when I was getting in my chair, I was strapping my feet in and then I couldn't push myself back up into sitting position, but luckily, I had my LifeStation button on me which I keep on a string around my neck. I was able to contact lifestation and somebody came to push me back into my wheelchair in less than 10 minutes. I was so thankful. I never get in my chair without it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I've had my medical alert device for 6 or 7 months and fortunately I've never had to call for assistance. The only time I've used it is to test it every 5 or 6 weeks. The response is immediate and always most courteous. My family and myself feel at ease knowing that I have someone to call for immediate help; especially with my being alone. Could not be more pleased.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I do not use the LifeStation device at home. I got it because I travel 50 miles on a country road where cell service is intermittent as I commute to work each day. It has been a safety net because I was told I may have a seizure or other occurrence, but I have not had such an occurrence, either at home or on the road. I admit to not testing the device. However, I see the cell flash and wi-fi flash regularly, and the device prompts me when the battery is low. So I know it is working.

LifeStation FAQ

How does a LifeStation alert system work?
    The LifeStation medical alert system consists of an emergency console and a wearable help button. The console plugs into an electrical outlet and a landline (or connects to cellular service). The user wears the help button as a wristband or pendant.

When the wearer pushes the button on the LifeStation base unit, it enables two-way voice communication with a care specialist. The operator will ask the wearer about their emergency, and determine if medical services should be dispatched. If the wearer is unable to respond, the operator will follow the personalized emergency plan that you make when you sign up for service. Either way, the care specialist stays on the line until help arrives. An automatic email notification is also sent to the caregivers on the wearer’s contact list.

What is LifeStation’s average response time?
    LifeStation’s average response time is 20 seconds.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a LifeStation medical alert system?
    Yes, LifeStation requires subscribers to sign a monitoring agreement. Service is provided on a month-to-month basis.
    What is LifeStation’s cancellation policy?
    If you don't like the LifeStation medical alert device, you can return it through LifeFone customer service — be sure to save the shipment box for easy returns.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to LifeStation monitoring service?
    Adding a spouse to LifeStation monitoring service costs $3.99 per month.
    Where are LifeStation monitoring centers located?
    LifeStation monitoring centers are located in the United States.
    Does LifeStation offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    LifeStation is responsible for replacing any faulty equipment, including batteries, at no extra cost. However, the LifeStation button is extremely durable and can withstand a normal fall.
    Does LifeStation offer a free trial period?
    LifeStation offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and the customer pays for return shipping.
    Do LifeStation medical alarm systems require a landline?
    LifeStation In-Home Traditional works with a landline. In-Home Plus systems are designed for customers without a landline.
    Are LifeStation mobile medical alert systems waterproof?
    LifeStation wearable buttons and wristbands are waterproof. The emergency console is not waterproof.

Do we recommend LifeStation?

Yes. Monitoring service, along with the LifeStation personal emergency plan, gives family and caregivers peace of mind that their loved ones have access to help. In an emergency, a certified care specialist answers the call when the help button is pushed. Although fall detection does not detect 100% of falls, it’s an added layer of protection. The system works anywhere in the U.S. and you can take it with you if you move.

LifeStation Company Information