Compare Medical Alert Systems

Research top Medical Alert Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I helped my elderly Aunt order this because her husband had just passed and she wanted to have the comfort of knowing that she would have this in case of an emergency. We researched and decided on LifeStation... Bad move. We paid for 3 months in advance so she would not have to navigate the site or try to write a check for monthly payment... Another bad move. There is no contract correct? But apparently if you pay in advance they will not return your money if you choose to stop service. My Aunt was very disappointed in the quality of the product. She ordered the bracelet and had it converted to the pendant with the supplies that LifeStation supplied. The pendant promptly fell off and we are trying to locate it.

My Aunt was so disappointed with the product that she asked me to call and cancel the service for her, which I attempted to do. AFTER a 35 min call and lengthy hold (after asking for a supervisor which was not available of course) I was told that the only way was for us to return the product at our expense, and then AFTER they received the product, WE would have to call billing to see about the "Possibility" of any refund. The non helpful representative was James **. At this point I am very willing to send this unit back, take our losses and move on to a more reliable company that cares about their customers. RUN from this company and their HORRIBLE business practices.

Yet another case of LifeStation being totally unreasonable with their billing practices and the effectiveness of their products. I ordered the unit along with the mobile unit at the insistence of their salesperson that the mobile unit would work outside the home. I challenged the sales rep since I knew the cell service was not very good but was assured it would work since lifestation is not married to any particular cell service and simply uses the closest cell tower. The unit did not work and the day it was opened and tested did not work, so I was told to return the unit and would get a refund. They have refused to give me a full refund even though the unit was never used and returned plus I had to pay shipping to return their unusable product. I would not recommend doing business with a company like this with such low morale standards.

The LifeStation service was fine. The problem came about when it was time to cancel service after several years of service. I paid for a full year in August and cancelled service in December. Guess what? No prorated refund. "That's our policy" said the Tai, the customer service rep. Of course she could not point me to the policy, nor is anything posted online about returns and/or cancellation of service. That is such a shady business model that takes advantage of every customer (at some point) and leaves the last impression of the company as horrible. Stay away from LifeStation or don't pay in advance.

The service that you pay for is one thing but the common sense in designing the thing so you'd want to wear it is another. I had one previously that had a fairly discreet wristband, black and elastic. Small enough that someone would think it was a watch. I had to get another system recently because I got rid of my land line and went to cellular service. The unit they sent me has a giant bright white wristband made of plastic. Looks like something you'd get at a dollar store. The thing is about 1 inch wide. The white makes NO sense whatsoever as it quickly gets dingy and dirty looking. I'm ashamed to wear it. I called customer service and the child on the other end suggested I just not wear it publicly. He also said that this is the same fob that ALL units from ALL carriers use as they are ALL made by the same manufacturer. Really? Let me cancel my account and order from someone else and see what I can get?

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

To help ensure their customers’ safety, LifeStation sends all operators to a six-week training course designed to improve their handling of remote emergency situations.

• They have in-house operators: No third-party call centers means that customers are guaranteed to reach a trained professional if they need to summon help.
  • They assign two agents for every emergency: If the operator determines that an ambulance or other emergency service is needed, one agent stays on the line with the customer while another agent makes the call. This allows the customer to continue to receive instructions and stay calm during the emergency.
  • There are available add-ons: Additional buttons and help boxes are available with a monthly service fee, not just a one-time equipment purchase price.
  • Best for Seniors living alone, persons with newly diagnosed or severe epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Question and Answers - LifeStation

What is LifeStation?

LifeStation is a leading provider of medical alert systems and houses its own state-of-the-art monitoring center. We provide seniors and their caregivers with the peace of mind that in the event of a fall or other at-home emergency, help is available at the push of a button.

How does a LifeStation medical alert system work?

If you are in need of assistance, simply press your waterproof help button (worn either as a neck pendant or wristband). You will be instantly connected to a certified LifeStation Care Specialist. Our LifeStation system includes two-way voice capability that allows you to communicate with our Care Specialists from virtually anywhere in your home. The pendant has a range of up to 500 feet, which should provide coverage throughout most homes.

After speaking with our highly trained Care Specialist, we will provide you with the help you need. In the event that you are unable to speak, our Care Specialist will immediately follow your personalized emergency action plan, contacting emergency services, friends, and family in the order you requested.

Does LifeStation require a traditional phone line?

No, we offer a standalone unit that works off of a cellular network. Of course, we also have a system that works through a traditional phone line.

What are some of the features of a LifeStation medical alert system?

Our LifeStation units can work through a traditional phone line or cellular network. Each system is equipped with two-way voice capability. The pendant has a range of up to 500 feet and is completely waterproof. In the event of a power outage, LifeStation has a built-in battery that provides up to 32 hours of standby power. Your help button has a battery life of up to 4 years.

Do you provide accessories to go along with the LifeStation system?

We provide several accessories to go along with your LifeStation. One of which is a Lock Box that will allow caregivers and emergency responders quick access into your home when help is needed and you are unable to answer the door. For times when you take off your help button pendant, Bathroom & Hallway Buttons are an easy way to ensure your safety. Simply place the buttons on the walls of your bathroom, bedroom, or any additional location where a fall may be likely.

For customers that are always on-the-go, a Mobile Emergency Button will allow you to contact emergency services with the push of a button even when away from home. Finally, in the event that you fall and are unable to press your help button, we offer a Fall Detection Pendant. By using change of speed and motion to determine if a fall has occurred, our Fall Detection Pendant will automatically reach out to our monitoring center.

Does LifeStation outsource their calls?

No. Here at LifeStation, everything is handled in-house. We neither outsource our customer service nor our emergency calls. This allows us to provide one of the fastest response times in the industry. We also offer a higher quality service since all of our Care Specialists are highly trained LifeStation employees.

Is LifeStation UL Listed?

Absolutely. LifeStation both owns and operates its own UL Listed monitoring center and equipment.

For over 100 years, Underwriters Laboratories has been setting safety and reliability standards for products and services that impact millions of Americans. We have exceeded these standards with a state-of-the-art monitoring facility and extremely reliable equipment.

What is LifeStation’s rating with the Better Business Bureau?

Due to our unwavering commitment to our customers, we have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.

What other certifications does LifeStation have?

Besides being UL Listed and having an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, we have also earned the prestigious Five Diamond Certification with the Central Station Alarm Association. The CSAA Five Diamond Program is a balanced certification program that focuses on a commitment to strict security standards, high levels of customer service, and ongoing job-related education for all central station operators. Our highly trained Care Specialists have met or exceeded CSAA’s stringent standards by taking part in extensive training and performance reviews. This ensures that each LifeStation customer will receive the highest level of care and privacy.

Does the system work anywhere in the United States?

What system repair/replacement service is provided with the LifeStation medical alert system?

Our equipment is constantly being monitored. In the event there is an issue with your equipment, we receive a notification and alert the user or someone on their contact list. LifeStation is responsible for all replacement of faulty equipment, including battery replacements. There is no extra cost for this.

What are your customer service hours?

You can contact us at any time at 877-833-2020. Our dedicated customer service team is available 24/7, including holidays.

How much does your service cost?

Your cost is as low as 85 cents per day. If you choose to pay quarterly or annually, you will receive even greater discounts.

Is there a long-term contract with this service?

No, we have no contracts. You can enjoy our service on a month-to-month basis and cancel at any time without penalty.

Are there any installation fees?

Absolutely not. We have no additional fees or fine print. We don’t even charge tax!

I want a LifeStation for my mom and dad who live together. Do I pay two monitoring fees?

No. You simply pay one monitoring fee plus an additional $3.99 per month for the extra help button.

What are my billing options and payment methods?

You can choose to pay LifeStation monthly, quarterly, or annually. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is also available for your convenience.

What if I’m not absolutely happy with LifeStation?

If you’re not happy, we do not want you to keep it. LifeStation allows you to cancel service at any time with 30 days notice.

How does LifeStation measure success?

LifeStation is focused on giving peace of mind to our customers and their caregivers by providing exceptional customer service and superior monitoring. We succeed when we make our customers feel safe and secure.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the medical alert industry?

Most consumers believe they don’t need a medical alert system because they’ve never had an emergency before. It is our belief that it is better to have a system and never use it than needing it and not having one. Much like the insurance industry, you are paying for a service that you hope to never use, but it gives you the comfort of knowing you have it.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

With advances in technology, the industry now offers medical alert systems that use cellular networks, GPS, and Fall Detection - all of which LifeStation offers.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about LifeStation?

LifeStation owns and operates the most technologically superior monitoring center in the United States, while offering the best service and most competitive pricing in the industry.

Compare Medical Alert Systems