Xfinity vs. Guardian Protection
Xfinity and Guardian Protection differences
Xfinity vs. Guardian Protection
Xfinity and Guardian Protection are two security systems with smart-home capabilities. These two companies differ greatly in regards to price, DIY monitoring ability and trial periods. While Xfinity is certainly the cheaper of the two, Guardian Protection’s customer service and positive reviews make it more appealing for many customers.
Installation and cost
|Installation fee||$100||Included in all packages|
|Upfront cost||Equipment cost of $360 to $600+; financing available||Varies by equipment|
|Trial period||30-day money-back guarantee||None listed|
|Contract terms||Two years||Typically 60 months; month-to-month options available|
|Professional||$100||Equipment cost of $360 to $600+; financing available||30-day money-back guarantee||Two years|
|Professional||Included in all packages||Varies by equipment||None listed||Typically 60 months; month-to-month options available|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$30+||$45.99+|
|Monitoring options||Professional and self-monitored||Professional|
|Self-monitoring||Self protection feature available (live recorded video) for $10/month||—|
|24/7 professional monitoring||$30+||$45.99+|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$40+||Not offered|
|$30+||Professional and self-monitored||Self protection feature available (live recorded video) for $10/month||—||$30+||$40+|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Panic button||Via touch-screen control panel||Medical panic button|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||—||—||Not specified||Via touch-screen control panel|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Medical panic button|
|Smart locks||Compatible with August, Kwikset and Yale|
|Smart lights||Compatible with GE (Jasco), Leviton, LIFX, Lutron Castéta, Phillips Hue, Sengled|
|Smart thermostat||Compatible with Carrier Cor, ecobee, Zen|
|Garage door control||Compatible with Chamberlain LiftMaster|
|Compatible with August, Kwikset and Yale||Compatible with GE (Jasco), Leviton, LIFX, Lutron Castéta, Phillips Hue, Sengled||Compatible with Carrier Cor, ecobee, Zen||Compatible with Chamberlain LiftMaster||—||—||—|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Text, email, push and TV||Push, email and text|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Google Home||Not specified|
|Other integrations||Not specified||—|
|4.4||4.5||Text, email, push and TV||Not specified||Not specified|
|4.7||3.5||Push, email and text||—|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||3.8||4.2|
|Verified customer reviews||Xfinity Home reviews||Guardian Protection reviews|
|3.8||Xfinity Home reviews|
|4.2||Guardian Protection reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
While mostly known as a cable and internet company, Xfinity also offers a fairly low-price home security system. Most of Xfinity’s security devices are suitable for DIY installation, but specific sensors require professional installation — pricing varies based on your location.
Xfinity offers both DIY and professional monitoring. The company has month-to-month contract options, and you can also take advantage of a 30-day trial period.
Existing Xfinity customers should consider the Quad Play Bundle, which includes phone, cable, internet and home security. The company’s home security-specific plans are:
- Self-Protection Plan: The Self-Protection Plan offers video surveillance through the Xfinity app or your television with the Xfinity Voice Remote for $10 a month. It does not include professional monitoring.
- Home Security Plan: The Home Security Plan offers professional monitoring by trained personnel who notify emergency services if an alarm gets triggered. The plan costs $30 a month.
- Home Security Plus Plan: The Home Security Plus Plan offers the same features as the Home Security Plan along with up to a week of cloud storage for your videos. For $40 a month, this plan allows you to search your videos for certain people, pets and cars.
What Xfinity customers say
Xfinity has mixed reviews on our site. Some customers really like the camera and app features, but others are dissatisfied with the equipment. The company also has some negative reviews regarding customer service. Keep in mind that the devices aren’t compatible with Amazon Alexa, so Xfinity might not be the best fit if that’s important to you.
Guardian Protection is a 70-year-old security company that offers home monitoring systems starting at $149 upfront and $45.99 a month. All Guardian Protection systems are professionally installed and monitored. Guardian Protection has completely U.S.-based monitoring centers and only uses local technicians to service their systems. As a result, Guardian Protection is currently available in select locations, including:
- Austin, Texas
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Columbus, Ohio
- Millsboro, Delaware
- Orlando, Florida
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- San Antonio
- Tampa Bay area
- Washington, D.C.
- Youngstown, Ohio
Guardian Protection plans
Most Guardian Protection equipment has smart-home capabilities with many automation features. Guardian Protection offers eight plans tailored to different lifestyles and needs. All eight plans include professional monitoring.
- Bachelor(ette) Pad: The Bachelor(ette) Pad offers fire and burglary protection as well as mobile controls.
- Burglar Buster: The Burglar Buster offers advanced encryption and video surveillance.
- Family First: The Family First plan offers door access alerts and keyless entry.
- Frequent Flyer: The Frequent Flyer offers mobile controls, front-door monitoring and burglary and fire protection.
- Healthy (Green) Home: The Healthy (Green) Home offers energy-efficient features, including smart temperature control and smart lights.
- Pet Parent: The Pet Parent offers a smoke and CO2 detector, video and photo capabilities and comfort control.
- Protect My Parents: The Protect My Parents plan offers life alert capabilities and easy-to-use controls.
- The Works: The Works offers keyless entry and live video streaming.
What Guardian Protection customers say
Guardian Protection reviews frequently mention good customer service and positive experiences with the installation technicians. Customers say the system works well and that they enjoy the app’s remote access features. Some customers expressed frustration with contract issues and said their service calls weren’t as prompt as they would have liked.
Bottom line: Xfinity or Guardian Protection?
Your location may be the deciding factor due to Guardian’s limited geographical availability. If Guardian is unavailable in your area and you're already an existing Xfinity customer, Xfinity might work for you.
- Xfinity is best for existing Xfinity customers who want to bundle their phone, internet, TV and home security system with Quad Play.
- Guardian Protection is best for customers who live in participating areas and want a quality home security system with highly rated customer service reviews on our site.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.