4.2/5 (149 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-In Showers

Safe Step offers walk-in showers that are the same quality as its walk-in tubs. The Safe Step walk-in shower can fit within your existing shower or tub space and includes an adjustable, hand-held shower wand as well as an on-and-off button and several optional features. The company also employs installers to make your purchase more convenient.

About Safe Step walk-in showers

Safe Step’s low-entry walk-in showers offer freedom to people with limited mobility. The company designs them for safety and convenience, and you can sit or stand when using one. Every part of the shower unit comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step’s installers ensure your installation is done quickly and accurately so you don’t have to worry about getting your walk-in shower installed yourself. Installations are often completed within one to two days.

Safe Step walk-in shower features

Safe Step’s walk-in showers include the following features:

• Barrier-free, anti-slip bases
  • Grab bars (round or L-shaped)
  • Hand-held shower wands
  • Optional safety seats
  • Showerheads
  • Corner shelf caddies
  • Optional sliding glass doors
  • Tile composite walls
  • Pressure valves
  • Temperature valves

Each Safe Step walk-in shower is customizable, which gives you the option to add what you need and take away what you don’t for your own personal satisfaction and safety.

How much is a Safe Step walk-in shower?

Safe Step walk-in shower prices start at around $4,000. However, the final cost after installation may be different depending on your scheduling, space and plumbing requirements.

The price of a shower unit plus installation is not listed on the Safe Step website, but that is not uncommon in the industry. You can enter your contact information on its website to receive a free estimate and sign up for an in-home consultation, though.

Safe Step offers tailored financing plans to qualifying individuals, and its Helping Hands Rebate offers up to a $1,500 discount for people with specific medical conditions. Military discounts are also available.

Safe Step walk-in shower FAQ

Does Safe Step offer a warranty?
Yes, Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on its walk-in showers. This warranty includes parts, labor and any manufacturing defects.
Will Medicaid or Medicare cover my Safe Step purchase?
Medicare and Medicaid do not cover the cost of a walk-in shower at this time. However, you may want to reach out to your Medicaid or Medicare representative for more details.
How does the installation process work?
The installation process for a Safe Step walk-in shower usually takes one to two days. Its installers are trained and insured, and their work is 100% guaranteed.

Are Safe Step walk-in showers worth it?

While Safe Step’s prices are at the higher end of the market, it’s worth considering if you are looking for complete service. Its products are designed for individuals with limited mobility, and its customization options let you create a safer and more satisfactory bathing experience. You can also get a free estimate and in-home consultation before making a decision.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Showers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Showers?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

The original order was that my wife would be able to get into the shower without having to go over anything. There was a rubber strip at the bottom that she could step on. The sales lady with Safe Step that came by told me that this new shower was going to be a little bit larger. We signed the deal and gave the down payment. They set up the payment at the bank and everything went good.

We waited about eight weeks then finally, somebody called. They came by with a shower that was 32 inches which was smaller than what we have right now. They said we had to go to a 40-inch. The guy drove off and came back about 15 minutes later. He said the 40-inch has a step over which was about 2.5 inches. I discussed it with my wife and she said she was able to do that. But that was not what we wanted. We had about a 7-inch step on the original shower and she said Safe Step's sounded a lot better. I have a 40-inch shower, and they put in the grab bars everywhere that we wanted. I asked for an enlarged chair in there. The first time that the guy came out, he had a small chair that was rated for 250. My wife is close to 200.

I’m happy with the shower, but the experience was a little bit frustrating. Later on, it slipped out that the standard sizes are 32 and 36. 40 is an extra. The sales lady wrote down a 32 but to me, she was talking about a 36. Now, I’m still not sure if the 36 doesn’t come without a step over. I asked that, but I was quickly silenced. They said it doesn't. But it was being dragged out from 8 weeks to 16 weeks. The office didn’t follow through on some of the requests. You better have everything in writing and read what they write down.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Showers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2022

The rep was good. He found us as many discounts as he could. We like the shower. We invite everybody in to come see us and use our shower. I wish we could have an arm on both sides of the chair, but the space was too small. The installers didn't put the shelves in the spot where they are supposed to. There wasn't enough room, so we needed to put shelves. They came back and put them in. And they put the other corner to make it match. So, we couldn’t put the one arm rest on. But my sister uses it. And that one arm rest does help. They had to take the little thing that look like a half of a steering wheel, which is fine. But I had fallen out of a tub or two. We couldn’t take baths anymore because we couldn't get in and out of the tub easily. So, we’re pleased.

I like that I can walk right in the tub. There is one thing we have to be careful about. We have to make sure that the shower curtain is down all the way. Because if not, we can get water out on the floor. It's an investment for a lifetime. Go for it. You have nothing to lose from it, especially in my age group. As you get older, that is the ideal thing. And we told other people about it, my sisters in Winfield, the ones that are older to come over.

Original review: May 10, 2022

The Safe Step services were done much faster than I thought from the time of the measurement until the merchandise came in. So, that made it easy to work with. It was a month earlier than I was originally told. The one gentleman who came here to do the work himself was friendly and professional. He did a good job. He took two days to do the job and did it well. I had a bit of cleanup to do, but not much. And I could understand why, but not a problem.

Everything works well. I would like a few more variations to the showerhead. There are only three positions, and you can adjust the strength of each of those three positions. I would like a little more variation in the number of positions. The seat is fine. I would have thought all their legs would be a little safer and give a more support. Other than that, everything is fine. Everything is fine. We're getting older, and Safe Step made our lives a little easier.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I have the shower and I am loving it. I had one problem with the shower though. When I put the shower on, I saw the water going everywhere, but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I finally realized it was coming from this pipe which was loose. I went on and finished my shower and just as I sat back, it fell down. If I did not step back before, I would have broken my driver's foot. I called Safe Step this morning and they said they would be right on top of it, so I'm waiting for a phone call now. Other than that, I'm enjoying the shower because I'm not young and I had some nerve damage. So, rather than stepping up in a tub, I just walk right in. My brother has been in the shower twice, and he really likes it as well. I should've gotten the shower years ago. I referred my sister-in-law too.

Original review: March 24, 2022

The sales process was good. The rep gave me a lot of information for me to decide which one to pick. After I did that, everything was fine, and then the installation took a bit more than a day. The Safe Step shower got installed in four sections (the bottom then the three walls), and the seam to seal each one of the walls, I don't know if that's the only way to do it without caulking in those areas to be sure that everything is really good.

The price is a lot of money for the walk in shower, but the way they explained to me, the way they do things and the quality of the product is a lot better.

They're going to be on top of the backup about any problems. It has not been too long that I had the product, so we'll see if something happens how they act for any claim. So far, everything looks good and I'm happy. It's a lot easier for my mother to take a shower, and that was my main concern.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Recently had a walk-in tub installed for my 90 yr old father who came to live with us after his wife passed. The design of the tub, despite the sale's associate description, was not that user friendly. The opening of the door into the tub, while it may be good to eliminate possible leaking out, is not convenient to anyone with mobility issues. The location of the drain inside the tub is not located at a convenient location as there appears to be more probability that the drain cover will be step on and water starts filling the tub. If one, who may not be aware of this, opens the door, the water spills out all over the floor. The location of the hand rails are not at a convenient level or location to provide good stability for getting into and out of the tub. The one handle to the front of the tub, is hindered by the door opening into it.

Had I seen this tub in person and had been able to measure its convenience and functional utility for my father's usage, I more than likely would have passed and gone with a simple walk-in shower with a seat. After spending over $18,000 on this product, I conclude it would have been far better to simply have stayed with the shower already present. I would not recommend this product to anyone with mobility issues and I certainly would not recommend this product given its cost.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I like the seat and the two showers on my Safe Step. During my purchase, the sales rep did not pressure me at all and the installation went fine.

Original review: June 23, 2022

The Safe Step tub company installed a tub with the breakers not connected, the tub was not grounded and wires were not screwed in tightly or were unnecessarily cut. The tub almost electrocuted me and burned my house down. I had to hire an emergency electrician after the installation.

Original review: May 25, 2022

The sales rep came over and brought a bunch of literature. The presentation was okay and I got a shower. The installers were quick and efficient. I take more showers now. I like the ease of getting in and out of it.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Safe Step has a very good saleslady, but I waited two months to get the shower. That's the way it goes though. They said they had to ship it to here from Tennessee. They told me the install would take eight hours, but when the guy came, he did it in five and a half hours. His name was Mark. He was the supervisor, and he did a very good job. The shower is very nice, and it's everything I expected. Mark also said I would get $500 if I recommend somebody. Safe Step has very good prices compared to another company that didn't even wanna come and do the job because they said it's a two-story condo.

Safe Step Walk-In Showers Company Information