2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Showers

4.3/5 (136 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-In Showers

Safe Step offers walk-in showers that are the same quality as its walk-in tubs. The Safe Step walk-in shower can fit within your existing shower or tub space and includes an adjustable, hand-held shower wand as well as an on-and-off button and several optional features. The company also employs installers to make your purchase more convenient.

About Safe Step walk-in showers

Safe Step’s low-entry walk-in showers offer freedom to people with limited mobility. The company designs them for safety and convenience, and you can sit or stand when using one. Every part of the shower unit comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step’s installers ensure your installation is done quickly and accurately so you don’t have to worry about getting your walk-in shower installed yourself. Installations are often completed within one to two days.

Safe Step walk-in shower features

Safe Step’s walk-in showers include the following features:

• Barrier-free, anti-slip bases
  • Grab bars (round or L-shaped)
  • Hand-held shower wands
  • Optional safety seats
  • Showerheads
  • Corner shelf caddies
  • Optional sliding glass doors
  • Tile composite walls
  • Pressure valves
  • Temperature valves

Each Safe Step walk-in shower is customizable, which gives you the option to add what you need and take away what you don’t for your own personal satisfaction and safety.

How much is a Safe Step walk-in shower?

Safe Step walk-in shower prices start at around $4,000. However, the final cost after installation may be different depending on your scheduling, space and plumbing requirements.

The price of a shower unit plus installation is not listed on the Safe Step website, but that is not uncommon in the industry. You can enter your contact information on its website to receive a free estimate and sign up for an in-home consultation, though.

Safe Step offers tailored financing plans to qualifying individuals, and its Helping Hands Rebate offers up to a $1,500 discount for people with specific medical conditions. Military discounts are also available.

Safe Step walk-in shower FAQ

Does Safe Step offer a warranty?
Yes, Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on its walk-in showers. This warranty includes parts, labor and any manufacturing defects.
Will Medicaid or Medicare cover my Safe Step purchase?
Medicare and Medicaid do not cover the cost of a walk-in shower at this time. However, you may want to reach out to your Medicaid or Medicare representative for more details.
How does the installation process work?
The installation process for a Safe Step walk-in shower usually takes one to two days. Its installers are trained and insured, and their work is 100% guaranteed.

Are Safe Step walk-in showers worth it?

While Safe Step’s prices are at the higher end of the market, it’s worth considering if you are looking for complete service. Its products are designed for individuals with limited mobility, and its customization options let you create a safer and more satisfactory bathing experience. You can also get a free estimate and in-home consultation before making a decision.

Safe Step Walk-In Showers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Showers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Showers?

Original review: April 27, 2021

My wife fell in the shower and I thought she fainted. I got on the internet right away and looked for some shower then found Safe Step. I didn't look for a second one. I just called them. I was anxious to buy it. I didn't care much about the price. If it hadn't been an emergency, I would have been more deliberate about my thoughts and how much it costs. I just wanted to get my wife in a safe place. The saleslady was very courteous and informative. Just surprised me when I got the final price. But other than that, she offered if there was anything wrong, she would come back.

The people that did the work were very meticulous. We had a couple of problems outside of the shower itself, one that I needed to call a plumber. The other was that the floor was not substantial under the old shower, and they had to replace it so it took them a little longer. But they were very conscientious about what they were doing and they did a beautiful job.

The one thing they didn't do right was install the seat at the height that my wife needed it. She could reach the floor when sitting, but only with her toes. Somebody came back and readjusted it as low as they could without showing the drill holes behind the seat. But still, it's an inch higher than her chair that she was using in the old shower. They can’t adjust it lower without tearing it apart because if they go lower, it's going to show the drill holes. The girl that was working with her dad might have fit her height, but it certainly didn't fit my wife. We're just gonna have to accept the fact that the seat is too high. Somebody should make sure that they adjust the seat height properly to the customer's need. My wife is still using her old chair and puts it in the shower every time she goes there, so that's a disappointment. Other than that, everything is good.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Showers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2021

The installation team members were very nice and courteous guys. They put a rug down where they were walking back and forth and they kept things lean. Since then, I've been enjoying taking a shower. But the water flow is not all that great. It's slow so I was gonna take one of the shower heads off to see if there's a pressure reducer. I'd like a little more pressure but it does its job.

Safe Step sent the wrong color piece for the shelving that's in the corner. They said they'd order one and the techs had it on order the minute they got done but I've not heard back from them. Another problem I had was the little step that keeps the water in is only like an inch or two high. So it doesn't take long for the thing if it does back up to overfill that step. I had to figure out a way to keep the curtain inside that little one-inch lip so that the water would drain and not go outside.

There was a time when my drain was clogged and it kept backing up. But I finally got that fixed. I had to put Drano and some other stuff down. I had to stop the shower in order for it to drain before I could finish the shower. I used a plunger to try and pull the stuff out or in. After about four showers, it finally went fine.

Additionally, Safe Step put in a hook for me to put my towels on so I can get them from just around the corner of the shower curtain. But they didn't put it in with drywall screws. Instead, the tech put it in with hardwood screws and it just came back out with a little square of drywall. It looked like the tech tried twice and it didn't work so he tried to screw in two other holes. So I stuck one of those towel holders that are using the sticky tape that can come off.

Original review: April 19, 2021

The tub did not suit me because I needed help to get in and out, and Safe Step can't help getting in and out in the tub. You have to be able to do it yourself. And I couldn't. And then Safe Step said they did the shower. I liked that the way everything in the tub was set up was different. It was more expensive than the cheapest of the other people, but I liked how you turn the faucets on and off and how close they were to me, and the seat. I liked everything about it, so we decided to go with it.

The man that installed the tub was so good. He took everything out. I wanted to make sure that there were arms on the chair that was being installed and a few different things, and if it was high enough for my husband's wheelchair to back into it and not fall over. The man answered every one of my questions and showed me. He unwrapped the thing to make sure that it was what I wanted before he put it in. The faucet and stuff that Safe Step installed were so much superior to what others were going to put in that I don't use the up-above shower at all. It's there, but I can't stand long enough to do it. But the handheld one, I love it.

The only problem that we have with the tub is that it wasn't put in level. And if the water accumulates behind where you sit down, under the seat, it eventually evaporates. But I'm the only one using that shower, so it's not too bad. But I called Safe Step on it. They never came back. They never answered us. I've been waiting for a call on what they are gonna do about it. I don't want them to take it all apart again, but there must be something that they could do because it just is a bit crooked. Though the guy that came and looked said it's probably about a 16th to a 32nd of an inch off in the way it's level to drain. It doesn't go down to the drain properly. Other than that, I would recommend it. I hope Safe Step gets a lot of business because it's so easy to use. I had the hip replaced and I have a bad knee that's gonna be replaced now too, and it's wonderful. They should advertise that they do a shower too, not just the walk-in tub.

Original review: April 15, 2021

The installation went pretty well with the exception of us not getting exactly what we ordered. We ordered a bone pan and the side of the shower itself was supposed to be bone. When the installers started putting it in, we had a white pan and the sides were of another color. The base and the walls didn't match. Customer service was pretty good. I talked to a guy about some of these issues that came up. It turned out that somebody on their part didn't check the order of the parts that were supposed to come here.

I also talked to a lady and she got a little aggravated. I put out $10,000 and when I buy something, I expect to get what I paid for. The lady didn't get out of the way but she said, "Just tell them to stop work." I have a bathroom and a half in this house so I don't have an extra shower. I told her and the guy "No, we ain't doing that because I don't have anywhere to take a shower. They've got all this torn out, so what am I going to do in the meantime?" I can't go rent a motel room every time I needed to take a bath. I was gonna have to go with what I got. They knocked off about $500 after I called the lady.

After the installers left, there was a leak. The crew came back once and they thought they fixed the leak but they didn't. It started leaking again. The guy was sent back again and he got it the second time. I haven't had any trouble since. They took care of what they were supposed to take care of. That aside, the guy did a really good job with the workmanship. Overall, we're really satisfied with what we have. We like the shower. It's easy to get in and out of.

Original review: April 14, 2021

My uncle who's 60 years old continued to have troubles getting in and out of the tub. Sometimes, he was staying in the tub where it got to the point where he put a couple of holes in my drywall. So after the second hole, I decided that it was time to look to see what was available and what I can afford. I started looking at competitors and submitted a request for information. Safe Step was the first to respond. They were the first one to come in and give their pitch. After speaking with their representative, we decided to go with them based on their representative’s pitch as well as his personality, demeanor, understanding of what the issue was and what our concerns were, especially when it came to the monetary cost. He went over everything in great detail. Before he left, we said, “Yes, let's do this.”

The installation guy told us what was going on step-by-step and what he was planning on doing. At the end of the day, he briefed us on where he's at, where he needs to be by the next day, and we would coordinate the times he would show up. He showed up, finished the work and then, also while he was putting it in, he fixed one of the holes in the drywall, which my wife can do. But he said since he had material left over, he would use that to help patch up at least one of the walls, which he did. So, we were very pleased. He was very informative. He's also informed us even before he left that he would be our maintenance person if any issues arose. So, that even put us more at ease.

Everyone that came out from Safe Step was very informative, very customer service oriented, very friendly and very approachable. It was an overall wonderful experience. I have recommended the company to several people. My wife has put their information out on our neighborhood Facebook page. We've had a couple of inquiries. We gave them numbers. We gave them our testimonial.

Original review: June 26, 2021

The installers were great. They really worked hard and did a good job. The shower I got is of really good quality.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I had the walk-in shower installed at a rental property. The representatives were all fantastic and I found the presentation informative. It gave me some insight and a better sense as to why the walk-in tub costs so much. That has been a major concern of mine. My tenant loves the walk-in shower. He can sit there and let the water run as long as he wants to to soothe his aching body. He's a very tall person who has problems with arthritis in his knees. The previous shower was included with the bathtub so he had a high step to get into the shower.

Original review: May 4, 2021

The 2 guys worked hard all day during the installation but they complained the whole time about not liking to do the retrofit from a tub to a shower. If the salesperson thought it wasn't gonna work, she shouldn't have taken the sale. When you're making a $10,000-plus purchase, you shouldn't hear people whining about installing it. But the installers were good guys. They had to reconstruct the water lines and the drain because it is a mobile home and they did a great job on that. They also had to go to Lowe's and get some parts.

The good news is everything works. The shower is for my mother-in-law and she loves it. However, the seat is ridiculous. I'm a big guy and it takes both my hands to set it down and pull it back up. It's way too heavy for an elderly person and the salesperson should have advised on that. The chair was a big deal to my mother-in-law because she's 91 years old. What she does is just leave it down all the time so it makes it a little bit more awkward to get in and out. The grab bars were put because we assumed that the chair was going to be up. Where the grab bars were installed, which was at our request, don't match up as well for her to get in and out because of the chair being so difficult to open and shut.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I've had other contractors and Safe Step was the neatest, most organized and polite. They didn't tear up my house and weren't in the way at all. Anytime they heard my husband say he had to go to the bathroom, they had a system down. However, I wasn't thrilled over the fact that the back of the metal thing around the handle wasn't attached right. It just hung loose. There could have been water down the wall so we had to be real careful how we used it. We did have some issues with the shower too. It was leaking. It didn't seal good on the bottom and around the thing. It took us a while to get them over here to do it. I've called them several times and didn't get any responses. I paid someone else to do it and they refunded me the money and checked it out to make sure it was okay.

We love the shower. It's easier. It makes the whole bathroom bigger and more accessible. It's very convenient that the showerhead is up high because my husband's tall. When he can't stand up, he can sit on the nice little bench that just folds right down. It's not in the way all the time. It goes up flush against the wall and you just set it down really easily and it holds good weight. They also got good grab bars in there and I feel safe with my husband in there now.

Original review: April 30, 2021

The installation process of our Safe Step walk-in shower was okay. Everything was fine with it. The thing I liked was the rain head in the shower.

Safe Step Walk-In Showers Company Information