Vivint vs. Guardian Protection
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
What is the difference between Vivint and Guardian Protection?
With professional installation and monitoring, both Vivint and Guardian Protection are non-DIY home security systems. Vivint and Guardian are some of the pricier options on the market, but both rank high in customer satisfaction. If you're trying to choose between these two systems, note that the factors that set them apart are medical monitoring, contract length and availability.
Installation and cost
|Installation type||Pro installation||Professional|
|Installation fee||$49 to $199||Included in all packages|
|Upfront cost||Varies based on equipment||Varies by equipment|
|Trial period||Not listed||None listed|
|Contract terms||Typical contract is 60 months; month-to-month available with upfront equipment purchase||Typically 60 months; month-to-month options available|
|Pro installation||$49 to $199||Varies based on equipment||Not listed||Typical contract is 60 months; month-to-month available with upfront equipment purchase|
|Professional||Included in all packages||Varies by equipment||None listed||Typically 60 months; month-to-month options available|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$19.99 to $29.99+||$45.99+|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||Not offered||—|
|24/7 professional monitoring||Starting at $19.99||$45.99+|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||Custom plans and packages available||Not offered|
|$19.99 to $29.99+||Professional||Not offered||Not offered||Starting at $19.99||Custom plans and packages available|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Panic button||Vivint Emergency Pendant||Medical panic button|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Vivint Emergency Pendant|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Medical panic button|
|Garage door control|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Text and push||Push, email and text|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Google Home, Amazon Echo and Nest||—|
|4.6||4.4||Text and push||Google Home, Amazon Echo and Nest|
|4.7||3.5||Push, email and text||—|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.7||2.2|
|Verified customer reviews||Vivint reviews||Guardian Protection reviews|
|2.2||Guardian Protection reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
Vivint’s home security systems have a wide range of smart-home capabilities. With Vivint’s wireless technology, customers monitor their home and control their HVAC systems, lights, locks and other appliances from a smartphone app. Vivint’s medical monitoring stands out — it’s a feature not offered by all competitors, but Vivint includes it in the company’s most basic plan.
Vivint has five types of alarms with different responses: robbery, panic, medical, fire and duress. You can give authorized users, including dog walkers and babysitters, codes that deactivate your system in the event of a false alarm. If an alarm goes off and an authorization code is not entered, Vivint contacts emergency services for you.
Vivint currently offers three plans, all of which include professional installation and monitoring.
- Smart Security Monitoring: Starting at $29.99 a month, this plan includes the mobile app, entry sensors, fire detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, medical monitoring and access to the mobile app.
- Smart Home Monitoring: Starting at $39.99 a month, this plan includes all of the features of Smart Security Monitoring but adds smart-home integration capabilities.
- Smart Home Video Monitoring: Starting at $49.99 a month, this plan includes all the features of Smart Security Monitoring but adds video monitoring.
What Vivint customers say
Vivint earns many positive ratings on ConsumerAffairs for their Smart Home system — one customer notes that the service was “so much more than we expected!!” Some customers with less positive experiences noted that the equipment didn’t work as advertised or that they were charged more than they were originally quoted. However, most customers said the technicians were friendly and efficient and took the time to ensure all customers' questions were answered.
Guardian Protection is a professionally installed and professionally monitored home security system. This system has packages that begin at $149, and monthly professional monitoring plans begin at $45.99 a month. Guardian Protection offers nine different highly specialized equipment packages, including one for those who want to use their security systems to monitor their pet’s activities and an environmentally friendly package that helps users conserve energy.
Guardian uses only local technicians to service their systems, and all monitoring centers are U.S.-based. As a result, Guardian Protection is only available in select areas, including:
- Austin, Texas
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Columbus, Ohio
- Millsboro, Delaware
- Orlando, Florida
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- San Antonio
- Tampa Bay area
- Washington, D.C.
- Youngstown, Ohio
Guardian Protection offers nine plans that start at $45.99 a month:
- Home Security Essentials includes 24/7 professional monitoring, mobile control, fire/intrusion protection and home automation.
- Bachelor(ette) Pad includes 24/7 professional monitoring, fire protection, burglary protection and mobile controls.
- Burglar Buster includes 24/7 professional monitoring, advanced encryption and video surveillance.
- Family First includes 24/7 professional monitoring, door access alerts and keyless entry. It also takes photos of people who try to disarm your security system.
- Frequent Flyer includes 24/7 professional monitoring, mobile controls, front door monitoring, burglary protection and fire protection.
- Healthy (Green) Home includes 24/7 professional monitoring, energy efficiency features, smart temperature control and smart lights.
- Pet Parent includes 24/7 professional monitoring, monitored smoke and CO detectors, video and photo capabilities and comfort control.
- Protect My Parents includes 24/7 professional monitoring, life alert capabilities and easy controls.
- The Works includes 24/7 professional monitoring, keyless entry and live video streaming.
What Guardian Protection customers say
Reviewers of the Guardian Protection security system report positive experiences with the company’s customer service department and say the company offers an overall good value for the services. In general, customers are happy with the product and enjoy features like remote entry and the user-friendly phone app. However, some customers felt the service and products were overpriced and that they weren’t able to get good customer service when they needed help.
Bottom line: Vivint or Guardian Protection?
Neither Vivint nor Guardian Protection is cheap compared to most home security companies. For those customers who value the bottom line the most, Vivint is the less expensive option and includes medical pendant monitoring. Guardian Protection is only available in certain areas, but that might be a positive for those who are interested in supporting local businesses that employ local technicians.
- Vivint is best for those who want medical protection and are most interested in the total cost.
- Guardian Protect is best for those who are interested in a locally based security company that uses local service professionals.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.