ADT vs. Vector Security
What is the difference between ADT vs. Vector Security?
ADT and Vector Security are both known for their straightforward security packages and plans that are on the more expensive side in the industry. The ways in which the companies approach payments differ, though. Vector Security bundles the cost of installation, monitoring and equipment into one monthly payment, while ADT requires each to be paid separately. Because of this flexibility, many customers will find one of these companies to be a good solution for their security needs.
Installation and cost
|Installation type||Pro install||Professional|
|Installation fee||$99 to $199 (may be included in package price)||Included|
|Upfront cost||$599 to $1,049 upfront or $9.98 to $17.48 monthly for 60 months||$99 to $199|
|Trial period||6-month money-back guarantee||One-year warranty on equipment|
|Contract terms||36 months (60 months if financing equipment)||Varies|
|Pro install||$99 to $199 (may be included in package price)||$599 to $1,049 upfront or $9.98 to $17.48 monthly for 60 months||6-month money-back guarantee||36 months (60 months if financing equipment)|
|Professional||Included||$99 to $199||One-year warranty on equipment||Varies|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$28.99 to $57.99||$46 to $64|
|24/7 professional monitoring||Starting at $45.99||Starting at $46|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$57.99/month||$64|
|$28.99 to $57.99||Professional||—||—||Starting at $45.99||$57.99/month|
|$46 to $64||Professional||—||—||Starting at $46||$64|
|Wired or wireless?||Wired and wireless||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor & outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Siren||Not listed||Not listed|
|Panic button||Not listed||Medical panic button|
|Wired and wireless||Indoor & outdoor cameras||Not listed||Not listed|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Not listed||Medical panic button|
|Garage door control|
|Temperature sensor||Not listed|
|Mobile app||MyADT Mobile App for account management; ADT Control for system management|
|Mobile app monitoring||Yes, via ADT Control app|
|iOS rating||4.8 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||4.7|
|Android rating||4.4 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||3.9|
|Notification/alert options||App, text and email||Email, text and push|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Alexa, Google Home and Samsung devices||Smart plugs|
|MyADT Mobile App for account management; ADT Control for system management||Yes, via ADT Control app||4.8 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||4.4 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||App, text and email||Alexa, Google Home and Samsung devices|
|4.7||3.9||Email, text and push||Smart plugs|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.6||4.2|
|Verified customer reviews||ADT reviews||Vector Security reviews|
|4.2||Vector Security reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
ADT sells professionally installed security systems across the United States. Customers have the option to choose from one of its three packages or buy one-off equipment as needed. Packages include a six-month guarantee on products and a 30-day trial period. When customers work with ADT, they gain access to its long list of smart-home automation and app integration options.
- Secure Package: The Secure Package is the basic home security package. It offers a control panel, three door/window alarms and a motion detector. This package starts at $599 for customers who want to pay upfront. For financing, customers can sign a 60-month contract and pay $9.98 per month.
- Smart Package: The Smart Package is ADT’s smart-home option, which includes the security equipment from the Secure Package as well as additional smart-home equipment, including a smart plug and a smart door lock. This package starts at $919, or $15.32 monthly for 60 months.
- Complete Package: As ADT’s most well-rounded package, the Complete Package includes a vast array of products, including everything in the Secure and the Starter Packages and an HD indoor camera and Google Nest Doorbell camera. This package lets customers view live footage of their door from anywhere in the world. Pricing starts at $1,049, or $17.48 per month for 60 months.
What ADT customers say
Overall, reviewers on our site like ADT. Customers frequently mention positive customer service experiences, especially at the time of system installation. Customers also like how the system works and the features offered. Those who have had issues with the company mention feeling frustrated that issues took multiple tries to properly resolve. Overall, we see customers mostly satisfied with the system, which many described as easy to use.
Vector Security sells three home security packages that include monitoring and installation in the cost. This streamlined payment structure can be handy for many individuals. The website is a bit difficult to use, which makes it hard to see specifics about most products, but for the most part it looks like the packages offered have more products than other companies. Vector is limited geographically, however. Information about contracts is unclear on the site, but it seems like they’re usually required.
Vector Security packages
- Essential Security: The Essential Security package includes a wireless control panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector and a SecurityCare Plus warranty plan. This plan starts at $44.95 and includes monitoring and installation. There’s no upfront payment required with this option.
- Home Automation: The Home Automation package offers the same security solutions from the Essential package, plus additional smart-home products, including access to the mobile app and a video camera. This plan starts at $59.95 per month and requires a $99 down payment.
- Connected Home: For a full approach to automation and security, the Connected Home package is available. This package includes a control panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector, a video camera, a smart thermostat, a door lock and mobile support. This package starts at $69.95 per month and requires $149 down.
What Vector Security customers say
Vector has positive customer feedback on ConsumerAffairs. Many verified reviewers hail the customer service team, the service technicians’ attention to detail and an overall knowledgeable and pleasant team to do business with. Some customers did cite issues with the cancellation and contract transferring process, but overall we found the service was satisfactory to most reviewers.
Bottom line: ADT or Vector Security?
When it comes to prices, ADT and Vector Security are pretty similar, although the benefit of combining monitoring with the monthly cost puts Vector ahead by just a bit. However, ADT has more industry experience and more clear information about the product it sells. Plus, customers note Vector Security’s complicated cancellation policy and lack of upfront information about contracts, which might turn some individuals off.
The best way to choose which one makes the most sense for you between these two companies might be to talk to a representative from each to learn more. This may require a bit more work, but it will likely result in your making a more confident decision.
- ADT is best for someone looking for a professional security solution who might move in the future.
- Vector Security is best for someone who doesn’t want to worry about multiple payment options and plans on staying in the Eastern U.S.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.