With so many choices and technologies on the market, shopping for a home security system can be confusing. Below, we compare two popular home security companies, ADT and Frontpoint, to help you decide if one is right for you.
What do Frontpoint and ADT have in common?
Frontpoint and ADT provide options for professional monitoring and customizable home security systems. Both ADT and Frontpoint offer wireless cellular-based services with similar equipment packages, including digital control panel, sensors, life safety devices, add-on security cameras and smart home components. With either company, you can customize a system or choose from prepackaged equipment.
Shared features between the two companies include:
- 24/7 professional monitoring options
- Customizable systems
- Similar equipment packages
- Mobile apps with smart home integration
How are Frontpoint and ADT different?
The biggest difference between the two companies might be that Frontpoint is designed for customers to easily install themselves, while ADT systems typically require professional installation. ADT also still offers a landline option, but Frontpoint systems are entirely cellular.
Frontpoint systems come with a limited three-year warranty. ADT offers a six-month money-back guarantee along with a theft-protection guarantee that pays up to $500 of your insurance deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed. An ADT Extended Limited Warranty/Quality Service Plan (QSP) is also available.
|Upfront starting costs||$99*||Varies|
|Monthly monitoring fees||$44.40 and up*||$36.99 and up*|
|Money-back guarantee||30 days||6 month|
|Customer satisfaction||Read reviews||Read reviews|
|Frontpoint||$99*||$44.40 and up*||30 days||Read reviews|
|ADT||Varies||$36.99 and up*||6 months||Read reviews|
At the time of publishing*
About Frontpoint home security systems
Frontpoint offers 100% cellular-based wireless home security systems with professional monitoring. You can choose from packages starting at $99 or customize your own system. Additional components are available for purchase a la carte, such as doorbell cameras and outdoor infrared cameras, both priced between $100 and $200. Financing with 0% APR is available for qualified customers. Monitoring starts at $44.99 per month.
Systems include fire, water and CO monitoring and work with Alexa and Google Home. The Frontpoint wireless hub and keypad come programmed and ready to connect to your home network and devices. Systems come with small door/window sensors that can be attached almost anywhere and motion sensors that can tell the difference between pets and intruders.
- DIY installation: Frontpoint systems are completely wireless and cellular-based. They are designed for easy DIY setup. Systems are portable and can go with you if you move.
- Professional monitoring: Frontpoint offers professional 24/7 monitoring. Choose from two plans: Interactive or Ultimate. At the time of publishing, Interactive is $1.48 per day and comes with unique user codes, crash and smash protection, automated system checks and more. Ultimate is $1.64 per day and adds motion-triggered alerts, light control, live video streaming, video history and smart lock control.
- Equipment features: Frontpoint’s doorbell cameras are slim with a wide angle of view. Choose from standard indoor cameras and options with Bluetooth speakers and two-way audio capability. Outdoor cameras come with infrared for recording video at night. Add a panic pendant, garage door tilt sensors and glass break sensors. Home automation equipment includes door lock, light control and light bulbs.
- Service contract: Frontpoint does not require a long-term commitment. Monitoring contracts are month-to-month.
- App: The Frontpoint mobile app is available for iPhone and Android. It lets users remotely control the smart home security system and integrate home automation devices such as light controls, thermostats and locks.
- Customer service: Frontpoint customer service is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET and from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on Saturdays and Sundays.
Compare Frontpoint security packages
You can select from four Frontpoint security packages or customize your own.
|Safe Home Starter||Safe Home Everyday||Safe Home Select||Safe Home Preferred|
|Window/ door sensor|
|Glass break sensor|
|Signs, decals and stickers|
|Safe Home Starter||$99*|
|Safe Home Everyday||$295.94*|
|Safe Home Select||$382.92*|
|Safe Home Preferred||$479.90*|
*As of publishing date
About ADT home security systems
ADT offers a comprehensive selection of home security equipment and professional installation. Customers can choose a landline or cellular connection for monitoring. Every ADT package includes a digital control panel, entryway contacts, a wireless keychain remote, a motion detector, yard signs and window decals.
The Complete package includes livestream video from mobile devices, video recording and storage. Fire and life safety devices, including an emergency panic button, can also be integrated into the system. You can add doorbell cameras and outdoor or indoor security cameras with two-way audio.
- Professional or DIY installation: ADT provides professional installation with its home security systems.
- Professional monitoring: ADT offers 24/7 professional monitoring. If activity in the home triggers a sensor, the person monitoring your system contacts emergency responders who are dispatched to your home. You can also choose to self-monitor the system. Bilingual monitoring operators offer emergency response services in Spanish.
- Equipment features: ADT security systems work with Z-Wave-enabled smart home components, Kwikset and Amazon Alexa. Packages include Secure, Smart and Complete, and you can also customize your own system. Home automation components include smart plugs, door locks, thermostats and lightbulbs. ADT also integrates with Sonos speakers so you can control music from the ADT app.
- Contract: ADT monitoring contracts are 36 months in most states. In California, customers can choose a 24-month contract.
- App: The SoSecure app controls the ADT home security system and integrates your smart home platform.
- Customer service: 24/7 customer support is available by phone.
Compare ADT security packages
Select from three ADT home security packages. Like Frontpoint, the company lets you customize your system.
|Remote access mobile app|
|Smart home automation|
*As of publishing date
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.