3.9/5 (559 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Jana Lynch

About Lakeview Loan Servicing

Lakeview Loan Servicing (NMLS #391521) is one of the largest mortgage loan servicers in the U.S., collecting payments, managing escrow and providing other customer service. It also helps customers take out purchase loans, refinance loans and reverse mortgages. Lakeview is based in Coral Gables, Florida, and is licensed in all states except New York.

Pros

• Available in 49 states
  • Helpful online tools
  • Complimentary mortgage review

Cons

• Limited information on website
  • Unavailable in New York

Bottom Line

Lakeview Loan Servicing is primarily known as a mortgage loan servicer, but it also provides purchase and refinance loans and reverse mortgages. Borrowers can get preapproved in 24 hours. Lakeview also offers lender credits and a rewards program with cash back after closing.

Rates

Lakeview Loan Servicing mostly services loans, but it does also fund home purchase loans, refinance loans and reverse mortgages. Rates for its mortgage products are not published on its website; you’ll need to contact the company or complete an application to find out what kind of rate you might receive.

Data provided under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act indicates that in 2021, Lakeview’s average home purchase rate was equal to the national average; in the previous two years, the average rate was slightly higher than the national average.

Lakeview Loan Servicing average home purchase rate vs. national average

YearDifference from national average
20210.00%
2020+0.19%
2019+0.15%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Rates reflect noncommercial home purchase loans only.

Application process

If Lakeview Loan Servicing is your mortgage servicer, you’ll need to create an account to access your loan information. To do that, you’ll provide your name, email address and Social Security number and then pick a user ID and password.

If you’re interested in getting a mortgage directly from Lakeview, you’ll need to contact the company directly or create a new user account to complete your application. There is an online chatbot available to answer questions, but its capabilities are limited, and you may be better off contacting the company instead.

Lakeview Loan Servicing application features

FeaturesAvailability
Online application
Mobile document upload
Physical branchesFive states
Publishes minimum rate on websiteX
Rate lockNot disclosed
Pre-qualification (no hard credit pull)
Certified approval letterNot disclosed

Loan types

Lakeview Loan Servicing offers purchase mortgages, refinancing and reverse mortgages. To find out what types of mortgages you qualify for, you need to speak with a company representative.

From 2019 to 2021, Lakeview Loan Servicing received 7,601 home purchase applications. Of those, Lakeview closed on 4,735 loans. It denied 1,252 applications (16%).

Loan applications for home purchases only by year

202120202019
Home purchase applications2,0512,9532,597
Home purchase loans closed1,1351,9271,673
Home purchase applications denied403325524
Home purchase preapprovals denied010
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Refinancing

If you’re looking to refinance your mortgage — whether to take advantage of lower interest rates, change the terms of your existing mortgage or get a lump sum of cash from the equity in your home through a cash-out refinance — you can do that through Lakeview Loan Servicing. You need to call the company to get refinance offers.

From 2019 to 2021, the majority of the loans issued by Lakeview were refinance loans. Home purchase loans made up only a small percentage. In 2021, when rates were at record lows, over 90% of Lakeview’s loans were rate-and-term refinance loans. Just 1.7% of its loans were home purchase loans.

Home purchase vs. refinance loans by year

202120202019
Home purchase loans1.70%3.83%9.53%
Refinance loans90.92%92.82%73.43%
Cash-out refinance7.38%3.35%17.04%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

HELOC and home equity loans

If you’re looking to use the equity in your home to pay for a large expense or project, you might consider either a home equity line of credit (HELOC) or a home equity loan. Both let you tap into the equity in your home; a HELOC is a revolving line of credit with a draw and repayment period, while a home equity loan gives you funds in a lump sum, and you begin making payments back to the lender immediately.

Lakeview Loan Servicing only offers home equity loans. Like its other loan products, the terms for the home equity loans are not available online, and you’ll need to contact the company directly to obtain more information.

It is important to note that a home equity loan is a secured loan that uses your existing home as collateral. If you default on the payment, you could lose your house.

Requirements

Lakeview Loan Servicing does not disclose any of its mortgage borrowing requirements online. It does provide a calculator to determine how much house you can afford. As with rates and terms, you’ll need to contact the company directly to find out requirements for different types of loans.

Industry norms suggest that for a conventional mortgage, you’ll need at least a 620 credit score and a 3% down payment. These requirements tend to be a bit less strict for government-backed loans.

National mortgage requirements by type

Min. credit scoreMin. down paymentCompare with other lenders
ConventionalTypically 620Typically 3%Mortgage lenders
FHA5003.5% with 580 credit scoreFHA lenders
VASet by lender (often 580)0%VA lenders
USDASet by lender (often 640)0%USDA lenders

For more information on other loans, see our guide on jumbo loans.

Cost and fees

Although Lakeview does not disclose any of its costs or fees on its website, you can expect to pay certain closing costs with your loan. Closing costs can include an appraisal fee, credit report fee, discount points, escrow funds and other charges. These costs generally add up to 2% to 5% of the loan amount. After you apply and shortly before you close, Lakeview is required by law to provide documents detailing the costs and fees of your loan.

FAQ

What is Lakeview Loan Servicing?

Lakeview Loan Servicing is a mortgage servicer that also funds home purchase loans, refinance loans and reverse mortgages. It is based in Coral Gables, Florida.

Is Lakeview Loan Servicing legit?

Lakeview Loan Servicing is a legitimate company that is one of the largest loan servicers in the U.S. According to the company, it assists over 1.4 million customers per year with their loans.

In 2021, it was subject to a large data breach that reportedly affected 2.5 million customers; multiple lawsuits followed. As of the writing of this profile, the lawsuits are still pending.

Where is Lakeview Loan Servicing available?

At the time of publishing, Lakeview Loan Servicing is licensed in 49 U.S. states and Washington D.C. (It is not available in NY.) Although it operates mainly online, it does have branches in five states, including Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Lakeview Loan Servicing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lakeview Loan Servicing?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lakeview Loan Servicing?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

I received a letter in the mail from this company which I never heard of. I called to find out who they were and was told that my information was involved in. Security incident on 27 Oct 2021 to December 7, 2021. I asked which company since you were third party and they informed me that it was a mortgage lender I closed that loan in 2019. They told me they monitor escrow and everything to collections. I asked why are they monitoring a closed account? I also asked why do they have my information from 2019 and she couldn’t answer any of that. She told me that someone would call me back, as I informed her that I don’t understand why my information was still being used or monitored and now my information was stolen and I was informed a year later. This is unacceptable and not right.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2022

This company, Lakeview loan servicing, made mistakes on report my credit to credit bureau and did a lousy job of reviewing the errors. The whole process of correcting my credit report took 5 months to complete. At the end, Lakeview agree to adjust my credit report, but refuse to admit that it had made mistakes. The escalating team also said they take responsibility of the mistakes and errors they have had. They are just Bad company and bad people. I wished they would suffer the consequences, once they come across people like themselves.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Had to fill out unauthorized debit paper at bank for a payment they sent a week before scheduled, called them, they were no help at all, in fact they sent the payment again immediately, causing me to pay fines at my bank. I called them again and went thru issue with someone, got put on hold and then transferred to someone else and had to start over, even verifying who I was. This service is horrible, can't wait to be able to refinance elsewhere. Not first issue with them, I would give zero stars if I could.

Original review: April 16, 2022

I did not choose Lakeview Loan Servicing. It was chosen for me by the mortgage company that my loan is with, No matter when I call, I get stuck in an endless robo-prompt loop and never actually speak to a customer service representative. When I email my concerns, they never respond. They obviously don't care about their customers unless, of course, you fail to pay your payment or they want more business and/or money from you. Then you receive non-stop calls regarding refinancing with them directly. As if I would even if someone paid me to. Then they get offended when you tell them to bugger off for the 40th time because you're not interested in the ** they are trying to get you to buy into. Do yourself a favor - if your lender uses this servicing company RUN AWAY. If you can, refinance with another.

Hi Tracey,

We appreciate your feedback and do apologize in advance. Our Issue Resolutions team will reach out to you to assist with the respective servicing company handling your day-to-day servicing on behalf of Lakeview. In the meantime, please contact us at issueresolutions@lakeview.com or call us at 855-880-2062 if you have any questions.

Original review: April 13, 2022

My loan was incorrectly transferred and the contact information was wrong. As a result I was not notified of the change and my credit score was damaged due to late payments. The company literally doesn't give a care. They should be renamed Lakeview LoanDontCare.

Original review: April 2, 2022

1) Lakeview Loan Servicing had a data breach in early December 2021 that released all of my personal info - including social security # and did not notify until April 1, 2022. Four months??? Unacceptable. 2) Prior to this notification I was working with them on a refi. Throughout a month long process their finance information changed FOUR times from loan amount to closing costs. Emails didn’t match loan estimates, numbers didn’t match in the SAME documents. I dropped out. Two days later the notice of the breach arrived. Thank God I bailed when I did. Unfortunately they are the servicer for my actual loan company so I’m stuck with them in that regard.

Lakeview Loan Servicing response

Lakeview takes all matters very seriously regarding customer’s information. Please contact Lakeview’s Issues Resolutions team for any questions you may have. We are here to help. Please contact us at issueresolutions@lakeview.com or call us at 855-880-2062.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I received a data breach notification letter on 3/29/22 that I was identified on 1/31/22 as having my name, address, loan number, and social security number compromised. Irresponsible behavior for a company holding a vast amount of sensitive personal data. It shows their priorities and lack of care for their customers. Unfortunately, my loan was sold to Lakeview Loan Servicing but I certainly wouldn't make a conscientious decision to work with them in any way.

Original review: March 8, 2022

This company is a joke. I didn't pick this company. My loan was sold to them from Rocket Mortgage. I didn't receive a bill from Lakeview until 3/1/22 saying that I owed for Feb. Then I have basically two weeks to make my march payment. When I reached out to find out why all I got was, "Too bad. Make your payment!" There is nothing I can do without refinancing. Stay away from this company!

Hello Jason,

Lakeview sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please contact us at issueresolutions@lakeview.com or call us at 855-880-2062 at your earliest convenience, so we can better understand your account situation to escalate and address your concerns with the respective servicing company involved; we want to help! As Lakeview does not service any mortgage loans ourselves, we need to identify your loan account and which particular servicing company is handling this. Thank you for being a valued customer.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

Every time I dealt with this company it was frustration. I ALWAYS had to wait for someone to answer the phone. They could very rarely help me with the problem that I was trying to address. My latest problem, I refinanced the loan. It was paid off with Lakeview yet they still withdrew the monthly payment. Then they could not refund my money back without a lengthy process. It is 3 weeks to get my money back. The representative was smug and not interested in finding a solution. They don't care because it's not their money. They are just there doing a job. During the COVID slow down I lost my job. I applied for forgiveness but found another job in time to make my payments. It took them months to believe I had never missed a payment. They showed me in default even though I paid on time every month. This company does not care about the clients!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Our VA mortgage ended up with Lakeview after sold on the secondary market from the original bank, we didn't pick them. That said, we requested to remove escrow so we could pay our taxes ourselves and hold onto our money. It took 4 months for them to do this. Repeatedly asking for the same documentation over and over. This last month we were going to take advantage of the VA IRRRL refi to lower Iower our rate, moving from 3.25 to 2.375%. Everything moved along well until the document processing, each time the documents were different. Incorrect remaining payoff balance, incorrect escrow info as there wasn't one, points added that weren't disclosed. Every time we asked for corrections or explanations we got NOTHING. So we withdrew. I asked why all this happened and the loan officer chose to just not respond. This company is a joke, run don't walk away from these guys.

ConsumerAffairs writers primarily rely on government data, industry experts and original research from other reputable publications to inform their work. To learn more about the content on our site, visit our FAQ page. Specific sources for this article include:
    1. Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, “HMDA Data Publication.” Accessed Sept. 23, 2022.
    2. National Mortgage Professional, “Lakeview Loan Servicing Faces Multiple Lawsuits Over Data Breach.” Accessed Sept. 20, 2022.

Lakeview Loan Servicing Company Information