3.93/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending is a direct lender with highly competitive mortgage rates, an easy application process and exceptional customer service.

Mortgages made easy and affordable

Putting you first is the thinking that drives the J.G. Wentworth Home Lending client-friendly mortgage program.

Super low interest rates

Count on mortgage rates that are very competitive – and with no “gotcha” points or hidden fees. Use our online calculator to see how little you could be paying.

The mortgage you need we most likely have

Buying a home, rental property or vacation home? Refinancing an existing mortgage? We can help with loans that include:

· Fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages

· FHA loans with a low down payment

· VA mortgages with no down payment

· And more

Simplicity

Our application process is easy and fast. This time-saving process starts with a free, no-obligation quote delivered to you in minutes.

Trust

We have an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau, and our parent company, J.G. Wentworth, has served the community since 1992. Together with these assurances of quality, check out the many testimonials from customers just like you.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending is an Equal Housing Lender. NMLS # 2925. We do not provide legal, tax or investment advice. Please visit our website for more information on State Licenses and Disclosures.

View More View More

246 J.G. Wentworth Home Lending Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

After extensive research I had narrowed my list to two companies. The loan officer I was working with was friendly and helpful. I was upfront about getting quotes from more than one company. In the end I chose another company and the following day I received a call from J G Wentworth's retention department. The man I spoke with was aggressive, rude and would not take "no" for an answer. I had picked two good companies and could have easily gone back to them had I not been disrespected. He seemed taken aback when I suggested they switch their sales tactics and give the customer their best quote from the beginning. He was unprofessional in the derogatory way he spoke about the other company. Once I started to disagree with him and expressed that I felt he was being aggressive, he quit listening to my attempts to improve their customer service. He then hung up on me.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Our experience in selling, closing, buying and closing on our new home was handled by JGW, loan specialist, Megan ** and we are shocked at what a smooth process it was. Megan was very professional, and very clear in all of her communications. The entire process was a very pleasant experience, and we could not be more satisfied with JGW and their representatives, Megan **. 1000% satisfaction.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

J.G. Wentworth provided the most pleasant experience and best customer service during my Mortgage Refi. I wasn't originally thinking about refinancing my home, but then I received a promo e-mail from Costco and decided to call and learn more about my options and qualification requirements. Loan Officer, Julie **, was by far the most responsive and knowledgeable professional I had ever worked with. She walked me through my different options and helped me through the entire process to make sure my loan was approved and funded. I would 110% recommend this company to anyone. If you're considering to refinance, use J.G., you won't regret it!!! Good luck Sincerely, happy customer!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

This was a wonderful experience. It took less than a month to close. Detailed information on any questions asked. Jesse was a great, well knowledgeable loan officer and I can say I am now debt free with the exception of paying my Mortgage. Best decision made and now I can fulfill my financial goals to save more.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I applied for a loan and received a pre-approval. Then I was quoted various fees that were higher than what was initially quoted. I submitted all my proof as requested AND sent an email stating that I did not want to be charged for appraisal until approval was certain. I was charged $450 for appraisal and told the loan agent made a mistake and doubled income I stated on my input of information on their end. It took a month and half to even get a solid pre-approval and they kept increasing fees and interest rate over weeks for various BS reasons! Ultimately, I lost $450 for appraisal and didn't get loan approval even though I supplied exactly what I had stated initially to my loan agent. NOT A TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY and I would never use them for anything!!! Lost money and a property over.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.G. Wentworth Home Lending?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I'm sure that everyone at JG Wentworth is great to work with. However, Megan was the only person that I ever had to talk to. She was very quick to respond to *all* of my questions and super supportive throughout the entire process. The hardest part was the waiting to close (nothing to do with the JG Wentworth side of things), but it was all worth it and with her help, it was possible. My family is so thankful!???

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

First I was told I'll be able to receive the loan. Spent $500 was told everything looked good. Waited a month. The whole time I have to call them with no response. I would receive a call saying the loan was not approved. Due to my overtime. I recently got a promotion at work but lost a month's worth of salary for training. I told my agent of this in the beginning of my loan process. Was told that would not be a problem. Now I have an inquiry on my credit report, wasted $500. When from the beginning they could have been honest with me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I just completed a home refinance with Magali serving as my contact and agent. I could not be happier with her help and service throughout the process. She was professional from day one and kept me up to date every step of the way. She offered suggestions I had not thought of and made this process seamless.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

We just closed our refinance with J.G. Wentworth. Our Senior Loan officer was Ms. Rebecca **. She was extremely competent and was 100 percent available by phone, text or email any time of the day. She answered all of our questions before choosing J.G. Wentworth and made the process go very smoothly and quickly. I would recommend anybody looking to refinance to ask for her by name.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I have never had someone so committed to helping this loan process succeed as quick as possible. Jesse explained EVERYTHING to me so there was nothing hidden. I am very happy to have him help me through this process.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I had the pleasure to work with Laura ** at JG Wentworth during our most recent closing on a home. She was always there to answer anything I needed either by phone or e-mail. She took the time to go through all of the details of how the process worked and ways I could help save money on my end. Even the Senior Loan Processor Amy ** was very polite and quick to let us know what documents we needed to submit or whether she had received it. I have closed on a few homes in the past, and some of the loan officers were not the best at responding to any questions or able to give us detailed answers to what was needed. We were able to close on time and with very little work necessary on our end. I would more than likely work with Laura and Amy in future loans.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Megan was awesome! Very responsive and informative. I was given several options to lower my mortgage before closing. When I had a question she was one text or phone call away. In the process, I received some unexpected news and asked if it would be possible to close within several weeks so I can fly out. Needless to say it got done. Besides sending documents, I didn’t really have do much. The process was painless.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We had a wonderful experience with Jesse **, NMLS #** Sr. Loan Officer. He is very professional, articulate, diligent, and knowledgeable regarding the refinancing process. He was able to take our application, gather necessary documents, and schedule the closing of our refinance in three weeks! We highly recommend his to anyone interested in refinancing their home. We are very grateful for his efforts and expertise!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Megan ** from JG Wentworth was very professional and personable person to work with. She explained everything to me from the beginning to the end in the process of refinancing this loan. She helped us reduce our extremely high mortgage payment to a much lower payment that is more manageable. Our experience was incredibly painless and wonderful. I would highly recommend Megan. I appreciate all the hard work and courtesy that went into the refinancing of this loan.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was interested in refinancing and was speaking with Russell **, Senior Loan Officer, Woodbridge, VA. I was not finished with my application and specifically asked that my application NOT be submitted until after the weekend had passed so I could go over things on Monday before submission. Never heard from him on Monday, I assume he was off. Although I thought he had given me his cell number, no response to my messages until Tuesday. Anyway, the application had been submitted by then, even though I asked that it not be until he and I went through it together. My credit score took a five-point drop due to the hard inquiry that I had asked not to do until we got together after the weekend to finalize it. Frustration for me means that I will look elsewhere when I am ready to refinance or buy another home.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My experience with JGW started off pretty rocky. The 1st two loan officers left the company and I had to start the process of purchasing my home a total of 3 times over several months. Mike ** was my 3rd and luckily final loan officer. He was supportive and consoling throughout my difficult time. He was responsive and very knowledgeable. His experience is what brought our family to the finish line. He is truly a wonderful person and anyone who is lucky enough to deal with him is blessed. Thank you again Mike for all of your support and help. We can't thank you enough.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Jesse ** was extremely amazing. He was so patient working with me and taking time to explain every step in details from the beginning to the closing. I hear a lot about how house buying process is so stressful but I must say, this was such a stress free experience for me and I am so glad I worked with him. Thank you Jesse, I really do appreciate your step by step guidance.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

My whole experience was wonderful. From my first contact with Jinnette ** at JG Wentworth to the closing of my loan, the process was great. No stress or pressure. Everything fell into place. She was upfront and personable. I can't believe how easy it was. She did all the work. I just provided information. What a blessing she was. I would refer anyone I know to her. Thanks to all at JG Wentworth.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Do you enjoy having to constantly follow up with people? Do you like to be YELLED at when asking for an update? Do you enjoy working with people that can't take responsibility and are constantly pointing the finger? Are you planning on missing your closing date? Would you like to lose your mind after you tell them they were behind schedule and they literally yell at you and blame you for being behind schedule even though you send them everything they ask for within an hour of the request? Do you like it when people lie to and get angry with you because you asked for an update or explanation on something? Do you like asking a yes or no question and getting a 20-minute ambiguous answer that doesn't answer the yes no question and then trying to spend an additional 10 mins to get them to pick Yes or No?

Do you love calling and emailing people every day for the same issue? Do you frequently send personal information like SSN, Bank Accounts, Drivers License, etc. only to wonder if they got it and if it's still sitting in the email even though you have explicated asked several times for a quick "Got it" or "Thank you" confirming they have received it? Do you have a need to work with Incompetent "professionals", Liars, Rage Monsters, Morons, Arrogant Salesmen type people, and Lazy Finger-Pointers? If you answered yes to any of these questions, You will Love working with J.G. Wentworth because they literally did all of the previously mentioned things. This is my first bad review ever and they deserve it! They literally did not have a Single redeemable quality.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had the pleasure of working with Jesse **. Initially he was a bit too pushy for my liking (probably taught to do that) but in all honesty, as soon as I asked for some space and time, I got it. Extremely responsive to any and all questions, and very knowledgeable. I would certainly highly recommend Jesse!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Jesse ** was completely professional, reliable, timely and accurately answered all my questions in regards to my closing. He was able to keep the processing moving along efficiently and enabled my close to be completed on time and smoothly. I appreciate all his hard work. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Had a great experience with refinancing our home mortgage. Worked with Jesse ** who was fantastic. He was very professional, available for any questions, walked me through all the stages. Was an incredibly smooth process.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I worked with Joseph ** on a mortgage loan. He took my information and had me send in paperwork for the loan. This process continued for a month. I paid $500 for an appraisal. 2 days before we were supposed to close they decided I didn't have enough credit established and denied the loan. This person knew when he ran my credit on the first day that he could not complete the loan but he drag us along and had us pay for things that are no help to us now. Do not use this loan officer! He is not honest!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My experience with Jesse ** was very favorable. He had a very professional way about him. Jesse had a calming attitude that made the whole process easier to get through. He was extremely accessable also which I was so very grateful! A very good man. Thanks Jesse.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Jesse was very patient during this long process. He handled the situation very professionally. Never did I feel that I had lost contact with him. He kept me well informed from start to finish. I would rate his performance as an A+.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Here are my experience dealing with 2 different agents at JGWW: 1st Agent, Michael ** at Troy, MI - I was contacted by Michael after I inquired about mortgage loan from Lendingtree.com. I was skeptical at first about obtaining loan from out of state, but he explained to me that it is common, and that JGWW has the advantage of low rate and low origination fee for Costco members, which prompted me to proceed with the application.

First problem that I encountered was with their documents submission portal. They could not resolve it until 2 or 3 days after. That was not a big deal to me. The worst part was when there was suddenly no response at all after I submitted all the docs requested of me. At one point, I felt that I was scammed! Although that turned out to be an overreaction on my part. But seriously, no communication all of a sudden. He stopped responding calls and emails without explanation.

2nd Agent, David ** at Woodbridge, VA - The Costco program led me to give them another shot, so I submitted another inquiry hoping that another one of their agents could use the same application and information I had previously submitted. It turned out they could not, so they had to run my credit again. That was fine, and this agent actually reached out to me for clarification, so I thought it would work great this time around. There were a few times of playing phone tag, and he did not respond to my last email, so I thought I would try another call.

Finally, I got a hold of him, and we talked about my loan request of $610K for a house that I was trying to make an offer for. By this time, I already have 1 full approval (although for less than that amount) and 1 pre-approval for $620K. David said that he could not approve me for a $610K loan, which was fine, so my question to him was that I wanted to know how much could JGWW qualify me for. I informed him of the approvals that I was already given. Then that was when he started becoming agitated. He told me that I was being dishonest with him, and told me that he would not help me when all I asked was for him to let me know the amount that he could pre-approve me for. I even offered to send him an email of my $620K pre-approval, which he declined.

I would usually walk away after being treated that way, but I continued to press for a pre-approval figure because by now I have wasted 2 credit pulls by JGWW. He finally agreed to get back to me tomorrow, but I am curious to find out if he actually will. Note that I typically do not file complains, but I felt really offended by the accusation.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Jesse ** was my Loan Officer and Cathie ** was my Loan Processor, they both did a terrific job! Telephone conversations and email communications were consistently clear and concise. There was transparency in regards to the figures, and I did not discover any surprise hidden fees. All of my questions and concerns throughout the entire process were promptly addressed in a very professional manner. I also found the website easy to use and convenient for uploading and submitting requisite documents. My closing date was fast track, and the date(s) moved around a bit, but the J.G. Wentworth team was able handle it and support my needs. Everything went perfect, and I strongly recommend using these folks.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I am only writing this review so that other people don't have to go through what I am going through for my home loan. I was/am working with Jennifer ** (Brand Manager) at the Woodbridge, VA office and I have never had a more unpleasant and frustrating experience. From day one it was nothing but excuses for delayed responses, mis-information, emails that weren't clear that created extra work, etc. We now sit here today, 3 days past our original closing date because they didn't have everything done. What was I given? Excuses. Now we rescheduled our closing to today and guess what, we were told last night at 4:45 pm that they won't get the information to the title company on time. Jennifer is notorious for sending late in the day emails so that nothing can be done until the next morning and then it's almost impossible to get a response at that.

I am now sitting here, waiting to see if they can get stuff over to the title company in time to close today. If not, me, my one year old son, 2 dogs and husband don't have a place to live tonight as we have to be out of our rental by midnight tonight. This morning I ask for an update, and I'm once again, given excuses that 7 of their underwriters are out of the office because of a storm and that the underwriter who was working on my file last night didn't have power so there was nothing they could do. I have sympathy for the storm but it's so hard to be empathetic when so much is on the line and my empathy has been worn thin by all the prior excuses.

The amount of time, constant nagging to get responses, stress of not being communicated to, late notices that things aren't going as planned and general frustration just isn't worth it. PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE USING THIS COMPANY! It's frustrating that I am down close to $1,000 in extra mover labor fees, canceled move in/move out cleaning appointments, paying for a weekend move instead of a weekday move and potentially staying in a hotel for the next 3 days until this company gets their stuff together. What's even more frustrating is they're still going to get all their commission on this and there's not a darn thing I can do about it. I have repeatedly asked how they're going to make this right and guess what I get... yep... excuses! There are lots of options out there, I would highly recommend skipping over this one.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Loan Officer Megan ** contacted me immediately and won my trust within minutes. We discussed my needs and she came up with a plan that suited me completely. No pressure, no push she simply convinced me that she was looking out for my best interests. We put the deal in motion and it went off without a hitch, and in a timely manner. She held my hand all the way through the process. This is not my first mortgage and more often than not the process can be similar to a visit to the dentist. Megan qualifies as a "painless dentist". She is an asset to your company.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Thanks for being patient, working well with my time constraints, and explaining things to me after hours. You worked so hard to make what would have been a very stressful refinancing experience very smooth.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending expert review by Michele Lerner

This financial company offers a variety of services, including home loans. It is licensed to offer mortgage products in 40 states. It is a direct mortgage lender

• Financing options: Consumers can get conventional, FHA, VA and USDA loans from this company. The company offers both fixed and adjustable rate loans and HARP loans for refinancing.

• Online quote: Interested homebuyers can fill out a short form online to receive a quote for their home loan. The form does not require any personal financial information.

• Calculator: The website features a mortgage calculator to help consumers estimate how much their monthly payment might be. The calculator breaks the payment down showing how much will go to principal, taxes and insurance.

• Live chat: Interested consumers can chat with a company representative online. Consumers don’t need to provide anything other than their email address to chat with a representative.

• Best for: homebuyers, homeowners who want to refinance and real estate investors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending Company Information