Formerly J.G. Wentworth Home Lending

4.2/5 (315 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner

Find Mortgage Lenders partners near you

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Freedom Mortgage

Freedom Mortgage is a full-service mortgage lender offering loans for purchasing a home and refinancing an existing loan. The company specializes in VA and FHA loans and services mortgages for over 1.25 million customers. Freedom Mortgage lends across all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It has been in business over 30 years and is based in Boca Raton, Florida.

Find Mortgage Lenders partners near you

Pros

• Specializes in FHA and VA loans
    • Physical loan officer locations
    • Sends savings alerts

Cons

• No rates on website

Bottom Line

Freedom Mortgage offers a variety of purchase and refinancing loans. The company has over 30 years of experience and is a popular lender of FHA, VA, USDA and conventional loans. It's available to borrowers in all 50 states.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Freedom Mortgage?

Freedom Mortgage is a home loan provider. It's one of the leading lenders of VA and FHA loans. The company provides recommendations based on each customer’s needs.

• Purchase: FHA, USDA, conventional and jumbo loans
    • Refinance: FHA streamline, VA streamline, USDA streamline and conventional refinancing
    • VA loans: VA home loan purchase, VA cash-out refinance and VA streamline refinancing (IRRRL)

Freedom Mortgage refinancing

Freedom Mortgage offers refinancing for conventional loans, VA loans, FHA loans and USDA loans.

You can apply for refinancing options with Freedom Mortgage to replace your existing home loan with a new one. Complete an online questionnaire to receive a personalized loan offer or contact a local loan officer by phone or in person.

Freedom Mortgage rates and fees

Freedom Mortgage doesn’t display mortgage rates on its website. Contact the company to find out what rate you qualify for; the rate will depend on the type of loan, your income and finances, your credit score and market conditions.

You can expect certain fees based on which loan product you choose, your location and other factors. These fees may include an application fee, credit report fee, appraisal fee, origination fee, mortgage points and others.

Alternatives to Freedom Mortgage

Not sure if Freedom Mortgage is right for you? We recommend comparing a few lenders to ensure you get the best rate. Here are a few alternatives:

• AmeriSave: Online direct-to-consumer lender that’s funded over $55 billion since 2002
    • Rocket Mortgage: Nationwide lender with a simplified online experience
    • New American Funding: California-based lender with branches in 32 states

Freedom Mortgage FAQ

What lender fees does Freedom Mortgage charge?
    Freedom Mortgage’s lender fees vary depending on whether you’re buying or refinancing and the state where you live. Contact a Freedom Mortgage representative for more information.
    Does Freedom Mortgage have an app?
    Yes, its app is available in the Apple App Store and the Google Play store. The app lets you view your balance, pay your mortgage and manage your communication preferences.
    Is Freedom Mortgage available nationwide?
    Freedom Mortgage is one of the largest mortgage lenders in the U.S. It’s available nationwide.
    What benefits does Freedom Mortgage offer?
    As of the time of publishing, Freedom Mortgage guarantees to match a competing lender’s rate or give you $250. Freedom Mortgage’s Eagle Eye Program alerts you to savings opportunities on your mortgage.
    Who owns Freedom Mortgage?
    The Middleman family owns and operates Freedom Mortgage. Stanley Middleman is the founder and CEO.
    Is Freedom Mortgage a bank?
    No, Freedom Mortgage is a nonbank mortgage company.
    Does Freedom Mortgage have a grace period?
    Freedom Mortgage does offer a grace period. You can make mortgage payments up to 15 days after the due date without incurring late fees.
    Can I pay Freedom Mortgage with a credit card?
    At the time of publishing, Freedom Mortgage doesn’t offer the option to pay with a credit card. However, you may be able to use a credit card through third-party services.
    Does Freedom Mortgage report to credit bureaus?
    Yes, Freedom Mortgage does report to credit bureaus.
    Does Freedom Mortgage do home equity loans?
    No. Freedom Mortgage does offer cash-out refinancing on FHA, VA and conventional loans, however.
    What is a Freedom Mortgage escrow account?
    With a Freedom Mortgage escrow account, each month you make deposits into the account, then the company uses the funds to pay your homeowners insurance premiums, property taxes and mortgage insurance. Freedom Mortgage reviews your escrow account annually to make sure there are enough funds to cover these expenses.

Is Freedom Mortgage a good company?

Freedom Mortgage is transparent about its five-step homebuying process, but it could be clearer regarding the rates and fees it charges. The company offers a low-rate guarantee, and the Eagle Eye Program keeps customers aware of ways to save.

Freedom Mortgage operates in all 50 states, as well as in Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It’s been around for more than 30 years and is worth considering if you’re looking to buy a home or refinance your mortgage.

Freedom Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?

Original review: March 8, 2022

Freedom purchased our original mortgage shortly after we bought our home. Shortly after this they sent information to me letting me know a refinance option was available to a lower rate and a better payment. The rate was lower and the payment was considerably better than what I was paying so I went with it. What I didn't realize was that they estimated my taxes for escrow at 1250 for the year. This was grossly under any estimate for the area where I live. There is no one in our county who pays close to that. They were off in their estimate by roughly 7600 dollars. So of course I am short in my escrow and now owe a little over 9000 dollars to cover the shortage.

Now, I know a person should always read the fine print but this estimate for my taxes was so grossly under any taxes that anyone pays in my area that something just seems fishy. This seems like some sort of tactic used by a mortgage company to get the best of their customers knowing that most probably will not read the fine print. If you can, I would avoid Freedom Mortgage at all cost. At best I would say their business practices are questionable.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

The absolute WORST customer service experience of my life!!! I tried refinancing to a 15 year with these folks. They couldn’t get it done in 5 months. I went with Rocket Mortgage and they got it done in one month. Big difference. I work overseas for most of the year. I couldn’t get anyone to return my phone calls. I couldn’t get anyone to return my emails. Questions went unanswered. Promises to follow-up on my customer complaints were never followed-up on. Documents that I had already supplied were requested multiple times again.

I kept being told the loan was “conditionally approved” and ready to go to underwriting only to hear nothing for weeks. The biggest indignity? I live in a windowless dorm on the U.S. Embassy compound in the country where I work. When I’m back home I live in a three-bedroom two-bath house. Freedom Mortgage INSISTED that my DORM ROOM WAS MY PRIMARY RESIDENCE AND MY HOUSE WAS MY “SECONDARY RESIDENCE”!! Excuse me? This became a joke in the office here. I will never ever use these incompetent people again. Go with Rocket Mortgage!!!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I cannot even honestly validate giving a star to this company. The customer service is not only unprofessional but you never get a call back when promised. They buy out mortgages without consent of the homeowners then surprise you with mortgage payments all without closing papers being signed. Then send threatening letters of foreclosure when you haven't even closed with them. No one knows what the other person is doing and no one can ever answer any questions clearly. To have seen high reviews previously and after the experience my parents have had with them I would NEVER recommend for anyone to use this company or even have one thought of using them. They are scam artists at their finest and are only out to take advantage of customers/people. Highly dissatisfied and disgusted with this company and their fake apologies and worthless promises.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I’m trying to refinance with another company. I sent qualified written request to Freedom Mortgage demand My mortgage history and a letter it says I finished my forbearance agreement and I paid as agreed. They ignored my Qualified written request. I had to wait over two hours to get a hold of a supervisor. I talked to 10 customer service. I still don’t have my demand. They trying To delay those demands so I could stay with them charging me $39.37 a day.

Original review: July 28, 2021

Freedom Mortgage did a wonderful job with our home refinance. They walked us through the entire process. We feel like they were working on our behalf to place us in a better long term loan. They were prompt to answer any questions and address any concerns that we had about the loan and/or the process. I would highly recommend them to both friends and family, if they are in the market for a loan.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Lenders are knowledgeable. Always willing to work with you. Always watching out for mortgage rate drops that will save you money. Fast closing on new or refinance loans. For your convenience a refinance can be singed at your residence.

Original review: April 15, 2021

The Short: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY. The long: Freedom Mortgage has pushed our closing back for our refinance 4 times now! None of it is issues with us. Our credit score is great and we have NOTHING else holding us back from closing. We were supposed to close back in November of 2020!!!! It is now April 2021 and they just called to cancel the closing yet again the day before we are supposed to close! This is the most unprofessional business I have ever dealt with. I highly recommend that you avoid using Freedom Mortgage at all cost. They will run circles around you and hit your credit score 5 TIMES!!!! Because they can’t get their act together. This is a joke of a company.

Original review: March 11, 2021

My mortgage was transferred to Freedom recently. On February 19th, I wanted to make a payment for half the March amount due. I was going to make the rest the week after. However, when I made the 700 dollar payment on the website, it went to principal only, which was not what I intended. On February 28th, when I logged on to make the remaining payment, I realized what had happened. I knew it had been applied to principal because it was still showing the full amount due. I called Freedom and they said they could process a refund after 10 days, so call back on the 1st, because that would be the 10th day. (Call 1) March 1st, I called and was told by a man that I would receive the refund in 24-48 hours.

(Call 2) March 3rd, it had been 48 hours and I had not received the refund. I called and spoke to a woman. She said I did not receive the refund because I had not provided my bank account information. Why didn't the man ask me for it on the phone? I gave my bank account info anyway and remained polite and respectful. He made a mistake, no big deal. I was told my refund would arrive in 24 hours. (Call 3) March 4th, I called and spoke to Camille who told me I hadn't received my refund because I hadn't given proof of the transaction leaving my account. Then she said, I see that it was more than 10 days ago, so you won't need proof. I asked what I should do, and she said she didn't know. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

I spoke with Desiree and she told me the same thing. She told me she would work with the dept who processes the refunds and tell them to put it through. She assured me I would have the money in 24 hours maybe the day after. She told me I did NOT need to send proof. She told me my refund would arrive Friday or Saturday, which was 1-2 days from then. I thought it was finally figured out because she was so reassuring on the phone. (Call 4) March 8th, I called and spoke to a man who again requested proof, then again said I do NOT need to send proof because it had been over 10 days. I did not send proof because I was told not to (twice).

(Call 5) March 9th, I received a vm from Beverly but I was at work so I called back. I called twice. Once I spoke to a woman and she said I needed to provide proof. I explained what had been happening and requested to speak to Desiree. No one could find Desiree. I did not have her badge number, that was not their fault. Beverly took a message for her. I asked for a call back in about 40 minutes because I was going into a doctor's appointment.

(Call 6) The second call on March 9th, I was informed Desiree was out of the office that day, and I explained the situation again and asked to speak to a different supervisor. I spoke to Brian **. He said when they told me I did not need to provide proof, that was misinformation. Every time they send the request to the dept that processes refunds, they reject it because there was no proof that the 700 was deducted from my account. Then, I am told repeatedly by customer service, even a manager, that since it has already been 10 days (much longer at this point) I should NOT need to provide proof. I sent proof to Brian and he confirmed he received the email. He said he worked 11-8 the following day and would check on it as soon as he got in, and throughout the day. He said the refund processing usually takes 24 hours.

(Call 7) At this point I had made at least 7 calls and spoken to I think 9 different people, including 2 managers or supervisors. It has been 3 weeks or about 21 days since I made the 700 dollar payment and I have received no refund as promised multiple times. When I call, I am told something different every time. I have not heard from Brian. March 10th, after almost 24 hours, I emailed him again asking for an update. Today is March 11th and I emailed him again this morning.

I would like this issue escalated further. First, I would like a written promise date for my refund to be released to the bank. Then, I would like to find out why I was given misinformation so many times. They even gave me 2 different amounts that I needed to provide proof for. I would like a written promise date, a reason for everything that has happened, and I would like my refund by the end of the day Friday, March 12th. Thank you, Rose.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I never post any reviews because it’s just not worth the time however, I had to explain how sneaky and untrustworthy J.G. Wentworth is. I refinanced with them last year as it was my first time doing so. I asked for a 30 year fixed rate and was given a conventional loan instead. I didn’t know till today because I was told by the new bank who purchased my loan. The loan officer who helped me was Celeste ** and Charise **. I tried calling them and first the lines rang. Now they blocked my calls since I left a message of why they didn’t do what I asked. This place is not trustworthy and I wouldn’t do any business with them again. I called many times. No manager or person in charge has time to speak to me. If I can give them - ratings I would. Hope this helps and no one else gets ripped off.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Glenn was as efficient as any loan officer I've ever dealt with (been involved with over a dozen purchases/sales). He gave me a killer rate compared to the three others that I obtained. He made a great suggestion when he asked me if I was a veteran as I was not thinking about using my VA. He made the whole process so painless. I appreciate it!! So sorry, this link went to a spam box and I just dug it out. The loan was over 2 yrs ago. Thanks, Moo

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Freedom Mortgage Company Information