4.43/5
Based on 136 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending is a direct lender with highly competitive mortgage rates, an easy application process and exceptional customer service.

Mortgages made easy and affordable

Putting you first is the thinking that drives the J.G. Wentworth Home Lending client-friendly mortgage program.

Super low interest rates

Count on mortgage rates that are very competitive – and with no “gotcha” points or hidden fees. Use our online calculator to see how little you could be paying.

The mortgage you need we most likely have

Buying a home, rental property or vacation home? Refinancing an existing mortgage? We can help with loans that include:

· Fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages

· FHA loans with a low down payment

· VA mortgages with no down payment

· And more

Simplicity

Our application process is easy and fast. This time-saving process starts with a free, no-obligation quote delivered to you in minutes.

Trust

We have an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau, and our parent company, J.G. Wentworth, has served the community since 1992. Together with these assurances of quality, check out the many testimonials from customers just like you.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending is an Equal Housing Lender. NMLS # 2925. We do not provide legal, tax or investment advice. Please visit our website for more information on State Licenses and Disclosures.

Read More Read More

Last updated: May 22, 2018

165 J.G. Wentworth Home Lending Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

While needing to refinance, I tried a couple other lenders before calling J.G. Wentworth. I'm glad I did call them because they we extremely helpful throughout the entire process. They did everything they could to get me the best rate and made sure I was always informed and comfortable making decisions. I definitely recommend using them to friends and family.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Mike ** went above and beyond to help with the refinance process. He was attentive and very prompt with the approval steps. Instead of the regular market lenders who want to run your credit first and then say sorry, he listens to your situation, advises on how to get approved and is not pushy. For everyone looking to refinance please give Mike a call, you will not be disappointed. Thank you Mike, will be calling you for our next buy!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have (2) mortgages with them. Almost $1M. Getting a hold of a live body can take HOURS. Getting them to fix an error on their part IMPOSSIBLE. One person threatened me if I didn’t pay something from THEIR error they would report me to a credit bureau. Stay away!!! Worst Customer Service. Steer clear. They love you in beginning.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I was hounded by JG Wentworth after filling out a form online. I couldn't get a hold of the original person by the name of Blake ** but another person named Russell **. I advised that I didn't think it was professional that he take over my account but due the phone cutting out I didn't get all of Blake's phone number so I went ahead with Russell. He is a fast talker, literally and figuratively. He was constantly saying that he would call me back within a few hours, email me an update within 30 minutes. IF I did get a call or email from him it was around 9 pm when I was through for the day. I found myself having to call him and leave messages when I didn't hear from him in a week. Blake finally got a hold of me and I got his phone number. Twice I asked him to please take over my account because of issues with Russell.

I faxed all the information needed to Russell and after promising me that he could get an IRRRL, he did a bait and switch recommending a conventional. And never got the email he offered suggesting options. I left a voicemail for Blake telling him that all bets were off with Russell and he could take over the account once and for all or nothing. Apparently, it's nothing. I wasted a month of my time when I could have very easily gone to another lender and had my refinancing completely by now. I can honestly say I can't recommend them and will not use them in the future.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I cannot say enough about the team I worked with to complete my first mortgage. Grady ** was a wonderful resource and truly went out of his way to accommodate my schedule and explain each step of the process along the way. We were able to close sooner than anticipated and everything went according to plan. I can't say enough about Grady and those I worked with to make my first home purchase a reality. I highly recommend working with JG Wentworth and Grady in particular.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.G. Wentworth Home Lending?

Original review: May 10, 2018

Never again will I get a mortgage from J.G. Wentworth. I have had 11 mortgages over the years. Getting the loan from them was one of the better experiences. Talking to and getting service was the worst. Until things change, I will not get another loan or recommend them to anyone. Check the ratings on Cenlar, their servicing company. The worst you can get.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We were very satisfied with the entire process of the refinance of our home mortgage. Everyone was extremely courteous and knowledgeable. Michael ** was a pleasure to work with and always responded back to me in a timely manner. I would definitely recommend him to my family and friends. This was our second experience with J.G. Wentworth Home Lending and I would do it again if the need arose.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I was foolish to conduct business with J.G. Wentworth Home Lending to purchase a new house and I am telling you my story so you will not make the same mistake. Do not do business with J.G. Wentworth as they proved to be incompetent and unresponsive in getting their primary task completed - closing a home loan on time. I began the application process over two months before we needed to close on a new house (I had to wait to lock my rate-two months before closing.) They were not able to deliver the paperwork to the closing attorney on time.

To rub salt in our wounds on closing day the closing attorney tried over and over to get in touch with our loan processor and no one returned their call-all day. We were supposed to close our loan at 4:00 pm on Friday and when all parties arrived at the closing attorney’s office they had not heard one word from J.G. Wentworth concerning our closing package. Needless to say the people we were purchasing the house from were furious and we were out on the street for three days (it was Friday.) We incurred over $3800.00 in expenses and loss of wages, not to mention the embarrassment and anxiety they caused us. Everything we owned was in a locked house we did not own. J.G. Wentworth offered us a remediation gesture that does not begin to cover the loss we incurred as a result of their utter ineptitude and lack of corporate and personal professionalism.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I had a great experience working with Craig ** of J.G. Wentworth Home Lending, LLC. I shopped for rates and fees pretty hard comparing various refi options (ARM, 15 and 30 yr fixed) to a home equity loan (HELOC). I plan on moving in a few years so Craig was very patient and helped me think thru and calculate the best value across the options I was looking at (e.g. 5 yr all-in cost compare of 5yr ARM to 30 yr fixed to a HELOC). YAY! The electronic document submission was fast and easy even for a low tech salt and pepper guy like me! Rosemary was very helpful and followed up on any of the details needed. Everything was done and closed under 30 days! Thanks Craig!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Going through the refinance process has been such a pleasant experience. I was very hesitant to start the process knowing how much is involved with the whole process but dealing with Nicolas ** has been wonderful. He has been there from start to finish and exceeded my expectations as far as a loan rep. Thank you Nick!!!

Original review: May 4, 2018

Shayar was great, always following up and answering all my questions. The whole process was quick and easy; I would highly recommend J.G. Wentworth to friends and family, or anyone who's looking for a refi on their home.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I just did a refinance with JG Wentworth. It was how a refinance SHOULD go. It shouldn't be painful or long and it wasn't. Amanda went above and beyond to help me with my refinance and answered all my questions PROMPTLY. I would absolutely recommend JG Wentworth for your mortgage needs. So glad I went with them to get this done. Ask for Amanda!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I just refinanced my home with J.G. Wentworth. Amanda ** was my loan officer. If you ever need a home refinance or new loan please contact her. She was the most amazing loan officer I have ever had the pleasure to work with. I was kept informed every step of the way. There were no unexpected surprises and everything was taken care of in a timely manner. She is so knowledgeable and efficient. Amanda made sure I understood everything and answered all my questions. I highly recommend her and J.G. Wentworth.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have just completed the process of obtaining a Home Refinance Loan through J.G. Wentworth. During this process I had the extreme pleasure of working with Nicholas ** as my loan officer. Not only was Nick open and friendly he was extremely attentive to my thoughts and concerns and kept me updated at each step of the process. I wouldn't say that he made the experience almost painless, he actually made it painless.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I had a pleasure working with Shayar ** as our loan officer. He was very responsive, knowledgeable, and he delivered what we agreed to upfront. The process took less than three months, we had a bump in the process but Shayar help us through it. Shayar is very professional, and he call us back in a timely manner. I would recommend him to family and friend.

Original review: April 26, 2018

After speaking with many potential lenders, we chose Jesse and J.G. Wentworth because he was not pushy, was able to give us accurate numbers within minutes and had an overall friendly and professional attitude. He made himself available to answer all questions in a timely fashion and was helpful throughout the entire process. We would highly recommend Jesse ** to anyone looking to refinance.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I refinanced my mortgage through Wentworth and Jesse **. This was all by chance. I wasn’t sure if my credit was good enough to refinance, but submitted an online inquiry anyway in response to a bulk email. I was barraged with phone calls. I ignored them, except for Jesse. He was able to help me lower my rate, keep my mortgage at 10 years, and get a cash out to pay off a large college loan for my daughter. This process ran smoothly and he communicated with me by text and email every step of the way. I’m glad I answered the phone that day. Thank you for all of your help. He is a solid 10 out of 10 on the lender rating scale.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I always dread doing a home loan and/or refinance. It's just always been so painful and tedious. My loan officer, Mike, made the process much easier this time though. During the usual back-and-forth about more and more documents being needed, Mike stepped in where necessary and helped out with clarifications and sensible suggestions where applicable. He kept us informed of the process all the way through. The J.G. Wentworth website also allowed for secure uploading of documents and electronic signing, so paper didn't have to be sent through the mail. The notary/closer came to our house at a time of our choosing. The entire process, from initial contact to closing was 4 weeks.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Excellent service, very fast from start to finish! Tom was our Sr. Loan Officer and was such a pleasure to work with him and his team. It took us 2 weeks from start to finish for our refinance and Tom stayed on top of every detail. Tom is very professional, knowledgeable, experienced, prompt and delivered ahead of the initial schedule. Tom kept us informed every step of the way and explained the process and answered our questions promptly. Closing was a breeze and close to our home. Appreciate the online site to upload documents. It was much easier to work with Tom and his team than getting some of my information locally. I most definitely recommend Tom and his team and will use them if we buy another house.

Original review: April 23, 2018

My loan officer was Justin ** who quoted me a rate better than anyone else in the industry saving me approximately $30,000 during the life of the loan. He was always available by email to answer any questions I have. That being said there were also some problems caused by JGW during the processing of the loan that caused us not closing on time. This was my fourth home and this experience was the most frustrating. The good thing is JGW stood by their mistakes and in the end it all worked out.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I found the entire experience was handled professionally and accurately. This was our first experience with your company and the representative Jesus ** was exceptionally detail oriented. Every question I have had to ask has been answered in a timely and professional manner. I have nothing but good things to say about our experience and would recommend your company to relatives and friends.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Just as what he said, “I don’t work 8-5; I work start to finish!”. He delivers what he has promised. He was responsive as my calls were never gone unheard. On top of that, he is professional and stayed in control of the loan process. He let me know beforehand about the things he needed from me, so I had enough time to collect them. Throughout the process, Grady was always available, on top of things, and a friendly voice to talk with. He is so knowledgeable, personable, and professional. I highly recommend him. He is terrific!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I needed to refinance my mortgage to get cash to make some home improvements. I called my existing mortgage company several times to set this up but my calls were never returned. When I searched online for a company, J.G. Wentworth and another company responded immediately. I got quotes from both. JGW had the best rate and terms so I went with them. My contact, Tom **, did an excellent job of walking me through the entire process. He responded immediately to questions I had, prompted me if I missed sending something and kept me updated. He was able to give me an accurate time frame for receiving my cash so that I was able to line up contractors. I would say the only surprise was that I had to pay up front for the appraisal ($450) which the quote did not state. Otherwise it was a very smooth process and I have nothing but praise for Mr. **. I would use again and recommend J.G. Wentworth.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Nick **, Loan Officer, Direct Lending | NMLS # **, was an absolute pleasure to work with. Made this process super easy and he consistently went out of his way to reach out to me on things needing my attention in a very proactive manner. Thank you Nick for all your efforts and making this a great experience.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Working with Michael **, Sr. Loan Officer at JGW, on an investment property refi was a great experience. From beginning to end, we received exactly what we were promised. Michael knew exactly what to do to work us into a product that was best for our circumstances. His expertise was outstanding. This was our first experience working with an online loan company. We will do it again and when we do, we will call Michael! Heather and others were also efficient and got the job done on time!

Original review: March 31, 2018

It was a pleasure working with Jesus during my refinance process. Lots of lenders contacted me and provided tons of useful info but what Jesus did was quite exceptional which influenced my decision to go with JGW. He provided great info and thoroughly explained all options while giving me which loan makes sense in his opinion for my case. His dedication and responsiveness was exceptional. He responded to my emails even if it was after hours, i.e as late as 11pm. That I thought was brilliant since I run some crazy and busy life schedule. He helped made the process very smooth and stress free and I’m glad I gave him the chance to provide his excellent service to me. I have already recommended a friend to him and will continue to recommend. Thank you for great working very hard to earn my business.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My wife and I recently refinanced our home through J.G. Wentworth. Over the years we have refinanced several homes that we owned, this was by far the best experience we have had. Loan officer was great to work with. He let us know exactly what we would need upfront and stuck to it. Loan closed very fast so thank you Tom.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Fantastic service! I contacted J.G. Wentworth when shopping for a home loan. My loan officer, Mor **, did an amazing job helping me through the process. From the start, he was incredibly professional and very easy to work with. I shopped around a good bit and Mor was, by far, the most knowledgeable person I'd met. I can't say enough good things about my experience. I would recommend Mor ** to any of my family or friends shopping for a loan.

Original review: March 23, 2018

J.G. Wentworth beat all other loan terms I was offered and their staff was more interested in helping me than trying to push something I didn’t want. Glen ** and Michele ** were both extremely professional and responsive. I closed a few days earlier than expected and got exactly what I was told from day one. No surprises or hidden costs. Thank you for your hard work.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Jesse ** is a superb Loan Officer. He explained step by step to make the whole refinancing process very easy and smooth. It was never a time I waited more than an hour to hear back from him, very impressive. Everything went accordingly as expected and am very satisfied with JG Wentworth services. I will definitely recommend a friend.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending expert review by Michele Lerner

This financial company offers a variety of services, including home loans. It is licensed to offer mortgage products in 40 states. It is a direct mortgage lender

• Financing options: Consumers can get conventional, FHA, VA and USDA loans from this company. The company offers both fixed and adjustable rate loans and HARP loans for refinancing.

• Online quote: Interested homebuyers can fill out a short form online to receive a quote for their home loan. The form does not require any personal financial information.

• Calculator: The website features a mortgage calculator to help consumers estimate how much their monthly payment might be. The calculator breaks the payment down showing how much will go to principal, taxes and insurance.

• Live chat: Interested consumers can chat with a company representative online. Consumers don’t need to provide anything other than their email address to chat with a representative.

• Best for: homebuyers, homeowners who want to refinance and real estate investors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending Company Information