2. Mortgages

Formerly J.G. Wentworth Home Lending

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.21/5

Freedom Mortgage is a full-service mortgage lender offering loans for purchasing a home and refinancing an existing loan. The company specializes in VA and FHA loans and services mortgages for over 1.25 million customers. Freedom Mortgage lends across all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It has been in business over 30 years and is based in Boca Raton, Florida.

BOTTOM LINE

Freedom Mortgage offers a variety of purchase and refinancing loans. The company has over 30 years of experience and is a popular lender of FHA, VA, USDA and conventional loans. It's available to borrowers in all 50 states.

PROS
  • Specializes in FHA and VA loans
  • Physical loan officer locations
  • Alerts to help you save
CONS
  • No app
  • No rates on website
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Freedom Mortgage?

Freedom Mortgage is a home loan provider. It's one of the leading lenders of VA and FHA loans. The company provides recommendations based on each customer’s needs.

• Purchase: FHA, USDA, conventional and jumbo loans
    • Refinance: FHA streamline, VA streamline, USDA streamline and conventional refinancing
    • VA loans: VA home loan purchase, VA cash-out refinance and VA streamline refinancing (IRRRL)

Freedom Mortgage refinancing

Apply for refinancing options with Freedom Mortgage to replace your existing home loan with a new loan. Complete an online questionnaire to receive a personalized home loan offering or contact a local loan officer by phone or in person.

Freedom Mortgage offers refinancing for conventional loans, VA loans, FHA loans and USDA loans. Contact the company to find out what rate you qualify for; the rate depends on the type of refinance loan, your income, your finances and your credit score.

Freedom Mortgage rates and fees

Freedom Mortgage does not display mortgage rates on its website. Interest rates depend on market conditions, which type of loan you choose, your finances and other factors.

To get more information about Freedom Mortgage’s mortgage rates, fill out a contact form online or call to speak with one of its loan advisors.

Your loan will include certain fees based on your loan type, your location and other factors. These fees may include an application fee, credit report fee, appraisal fee, origination fee, points and others.

Freedom Mortgage FAQ

What lender fees does Freedom Mortgage charge?
    Freedom Mortgage’s lender fees vary depending on whether you are buying or refinancing and the state where you live. Contact a Freedom Mortgage representative for more information.
    Does Freedom Mortgage have an app?
    No, although customers do have the ability to manage their loan through an online account. Homeowners can set up payments and view their loan information online.
    Is Freedom Mortgage available nationwide?
    Yes, Freedom Mortgage is one of the largest mortgage lenders in the U.S. It’s available nationwide.
    Where is Freedom Mortgage located?
    It's headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida. Loan officers are located in select states.
    What benefits does Freedom Mortgage offer?
    As of the time of publishing, Freedom Mortgage guarantees to match a competing lender’s rate or give you $250. Freedom Mortgage’s Eagle Eye Program alerts you to savings opportunities on your mortgage.
    Who owns Freedom Mortgage?
    The Middleman family owns and operates Freedom Mortgage. Stanley Middleman is the founder and CEO.
    Is Freedom Mortgage a bank?
    No, Freedom Mortgage is a nonbank mortgage company.
    Does Freedom Mortgage have a grace period?
    Mortgage payments can be made up to 15 days after the due date without incurring late fees.
    Can I pay Freedom Mortgage with a credit card?
    Freedom Mortgage does not offer the option to pay with a credit card. However, you may be able to use a credit card through third-party services.
    Does Freedom Mortgage report to credit bureaus?
    Yes, Freedom Mortgage does report to credit bureaus.
    Does Freedom Mortgage do home equity loans?
    No. Freedom Mortgage does, however, offer cash-out refinancing on FHA, VA and conventional loans.
    What is a Freedom Mortgage escrow account?
    Each month you make deposits into the escrow account, and Freedom Mortgage uses the funds to pay your homeowners insurance premiums, property taxes and mortgage insurance. Freedom Mortgage reviews your escrow account annually to make sure there are enough funds to cover these expenses.

Is Freedom Mortgage a good company?

Freedom Mortgage is transparent about its five-step homebuying process, but it could be more clear about the rates and fees it charges. The company offers a low-rate guarantee, and the Eagle Eye Program keeps customers aware of ways to save. Freedom Mortgage operates in all 50 states, as well as in Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Freedom Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?

Original review: April 15, 2021

The Short: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY. The long: Freedom Mortgage has pushed our closing back for our refinance 4 times now! None of it is issues with us. Our credit score is great and we have NOTHING else holding us back from closing. We were supposed to close back in November of 2020!!!! It is now April 2021 and they just called to cancel the closing yet again the day before we are supposed to close! This is the most unprofessional business I have ever dealt with. I highly recommend that you avoid using Freedom Mortgage at all cost. They will run circles around you and hit your credit score 5 TIMES!!!! Because they can’t get their act together. This is a joke of a company.

Original review: March 11, 2021

My mortgage was transferred to Freedom recently. On February 19th, I wanted to make a payment for half the March amount due. I was going to make the rest the week after. However, when I made the 700 dollar payment on the website, it went to principal only, which was not what I intended. On February 28th, when I logged on to make the remaining payment, I realized what had happened. I knew it had been applied to principal because it was still showing the full amount due. I called Freedom and they said they could process a refund after 10 days, so call back on the 1st, because that would be the 10th day. (Call 1) March 1st, I called and was told by a man that I would receive the refund in 24-48 hours.

(Call 2) March 3rd, it had been 48 hours and I had not received the refund. I called and spoke to a woman. She said I did not receive the refund because I had not provided my bank account information. Why didn't the man ask me for it on the phone? I gave my bank account info anyway and remained polite and respectful. He made a mistake, no big deal. I was told my refund would arrive in 24 hours. (Call 3) March 4th, I called and spoke to Camille who told me I hadn't received my refund because I hadn't given proof of the transaction leaving my account. Then she said, I see that it was more than 10 days ago, so you won't need proof. I asked what I should do, and she said she didn't know. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

I spoke with Desiree and she told me the same thing. She told me she would work with the dept who processes the refunds and tell them to put it through. She assured me I would have the money in 24 hours maybe the day after. She told me I did NOT need to send proof. She told me my refund would arrive Friday or Saturday, which was 1-2 days from then. I thought it was finally figured out because she was so reassuring on the phone. (Call 4) March 8th, I called and spoke to a man who again requested proof, then again said I do NOT need to send proof because it had been over 10 days. I did not send proof because I was told not to (twice).

(Call 5) March 9th, I received a vm from Beverly but I was at work so I called back. I called twice. Once I spoke to a woman and she said I needed to provide proof. I explained what had been happening and requested to speak to Desiree. No one could find Desiree. I did not have her badge number, that was not their fault. Beverly took a message for her. I asked for a call back in about 40 minutes because I was going into a doctor's appointment.

(Call 6) The second call on March 9th, I was informed Desiree was out of the office that day, and I explained the situation again and asked to speak to a different supervisor. I spoke to Brian **. He said when they told me I did not need to provide proof, that was misinformation. Every time they send the request to the dept that processes refunds, they reject it because there was no proof that the 700 was deducted from my account. Then, I am told repeatedly by customer service, even a manager, that since it has already been 10 days (much longer at this point) I should NOT need to provide proof. I sent proof to Brian and he confirmed he received the email. He said he worked 11-8 the following day and would check on it as soon as he got in, and throughout the day. He said the refund processing usually takes 24 hours.

(Call 7) At this point I had made at least 7 calls and spoken to I think 9 different people, including 2 managers or supervisors. It has been 3 weeks or about 21 days since I made the 700 dollar payment and I have received no refund as promised multiple times. When I call, I am told something different every time. I have not heard from Brian. March 10th, after almost 24 hours, I emailed him again asking for an update. Today is March 11th and I emailed him again this morning.

I would like this issue escalated further. First, I would like a written promise date for my refund to be released to the bank. Then, I would like to find out why I was given misinformation so many times. They even gave me 2 different amounts that I needed to provide proof for. I would like a written promise date, a reason for everything that has happened, and I would like my refund by the end of the day Friday, March 12th. Thank you, Rose.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I never post any reviews because it’s just not worth the time however, I had to explain how sneaky and untrustworthy J.G. Wentworth is. I refinanced with them last year as it was my first time doing so. I asked for a 30 year fixed rate and was given a conventional loan instead. I didn’t know till today because I was told by the new bank who purchased my loan. The loan officer who helped me was Celeste ** and Charise **. I tried calling them and first the lines rang. Now they blocked my calls since I left a message of why they didn’t do what I asked. This place is not trustworthy and I wouldn’t do any business with them again. I called many times. No manager or person in charge has time to speak to me. If I can give them - ratings I would. Hope this helps and no one else gets ripped off.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Glenn was as efficient as any loan officer I've ever dealt with (been involved with over a dozen purchases/sales). He gave me a killer rate compared to the three others that I obtained. He made a great suggestion when he asked me if I was a veteran as I was not thinking about using my VA. He made the whole process so painless. I appreciate it!! So sorry, this link went to a spam box and I just dug it out. The loan was over 2 yrs ago. Thanks, Moo

Original review: March 13, 2020

The loan representative made false promises to get me to apply for a home refinance. During the process I learned this representative left the company. After that, the manager stepped in to take up the slack and was very pushy, rude at times, and made the whole experience an unpleasant one. I withdrew my application due to the poor transparency and poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

In 2013 I purchased a home, and as a veteran used my option to do it via a VA loan. Between 2013 and 2016 my loan was re-sold 3 times, and I was quite frustrated in dealing with small mortgage companies with little web-presence, short/odd customer service hours, and not accepting electronic payments. In 2016 I started a search for a mortgage company that seems reputable with better options, and hoped for one that would not immediately sell my loan. I discovered JG Wentworth who met my criteria, and stated that it was their policy not to sell VA loans, so I re-financed with JG Wentworth.

From 2016 to 2019 things have gone smoothly, and JG Wentworth met my expectations and needs. In 2019 they have completely let me down by selling or transferring my VA mortgage to another mortgage provider. Now I am once again stuck with a provider I did not select, and expect to once again return to the cycle of having my mortgage sold or transferred every year. JG Wentworth's mortgage department has failed to meet my expectations and their promise over the long term. Enter with your eyes wide open, you're just a commodity to JG Wentworth, they have no loyalty to you, and will sell you off when it suits them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Really bad experience! The day before we were set to close on a refinance, we get an email saying that the closing has to be pushed back. We didn't hear anything from them for over a month! I asked for my appraisal fee back and I haven't heard a response yet! We ended up going with another mortgage company! STAY AWAY!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I went to LendingTree (reluctantly) after speaking with my major bank (business and personal) and my last home mortgage broker about a home refinance. I was reading the news and could tell that they were quoting rates that were too high and too many requirements. After reluctantly opening a request on LendingTree, I got inundated with lender responses on the first and second day. This turned out to be a good thing. I could immediately tell if I liked their follow up approach. I picked only one lender to call back, J.G. Wentworth. Their followup was a real human, with a calm and professional manner. Every other lender left an automated message.

After speaking with JGW she quickly referred me to a senior lending specialist, Bruce **. Bruce followed up with me as I worked through my doubts and delays. I was constantly busy or traveling and he was polite and persistent with me through the entire process, which was to my benefit. He answered all my questions and concerns over a period of several weeks. It all sounded too good to be true so I was hesitant.

The rate was excellent, the terms were the best, and the whole process was very easy. I was wary of the title company coming to my house to complete the closing but was assured by my accountant it would be okay. Could not have been easier. Thank you, Bruce! I start my new mortgage on the first and am saving twice the amount I had hoped to save after refinancing so all I can say is THANK YOU LendingTree, J.G. Wentworth and BRUCE **. I highly recommend this combination and have only great things to say about Bruce and the whole process.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Earlier this year we refinanced our home through JG Wentworth. Even before we made our first payment, they sold the mortgage to someone else. That was not really a big problem to us. This month we filed an insurance claim for hail damage to our roof. Having not done this before, I didn't know the claim check must be made out to me as well as the mortgage company. Not knowing any different, the check was made out to me and JG Wentworth. In an effort to resolve the matter, I called JG Wentworth four times in a week and no one could inform me what to do. They would say they would have someone call me back but, I never received anything from them at all.

Finally I called my insurance company and they are making out a new check with the new mortgage company on it. This whole matter could have been resolved a lot faster if first, they had informed my insurance company about selling the mortgage and/or second, they had just simply been courteous enough to return my calls.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I barely had my loan 2 weeks and they sold it to a third party. They sold it before my first payment. Why bother going through the whole time factor, to only have your loan sold in two seconds. Very obviously only after the amount of numbers they can generate through loan refi's. Considering I have never refinanced before because I was cautious, well this takes the cake. I do not recommend JG Wentworth.

Freedom Mortgage Company Information