Call toll free
4.14/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending is a direct lender with highly competitive mortgage rates, an easy application process and exceptional customer service.

Mortgages made easy and affordable

Putting you first is the thinking that drives the J.G. Wentworth Home Lending client-friendly mortgage program.

Super low interest rates

Count on mortgage rates that are very competitive – and with no “gotcha” points or hidden fees. Use our online calculator to see how little you could be paying.

The mortgage you need we most likely have

Buying a home, rental property or vacation home? Refinancing an existing mortgage? We can help with loans that include:

· Fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages

· FHA loans with a low down payment

· VA mortgages with no down payment

· And more

Simplicity

Our application process is easy and fast. This time-saving process starts with a free, no-obligation quote delivered to you in minutes.

Trust

We have an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau, and our parent company, J.G. Wentworth, has served the community since 1992. Together with these assurances of quality, check out the many testimonials from customers just like you.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending is an Equal Housing Lender. NMLS # 2925. We do not provide legal, tax or investment advice. Please visit our website for more information on State Licenses and Disclosures.

View More View More

207 J.G. Wentworth Home Lending Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Jesus ** was amazing! He helped me with my loan process from start to finish. He is extremely knowledgeable with what needs to get done and make the process happen. Jesus responded immediately to every one of my questions. I truly felt as though I was his only customer. My brother passed away during the loan process and he took a moment to send me his condolences. This was a very respectful, professional, human experience! I am so grateful to Jesus and all the staff for such a professional job well done!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Mike ** was fantastic to work with. I think the thing that impressed me the most was his candid and honest nature that he approached the call with. We shopped around for a refinance and he guided us through the search process, encouraging us to compare and contrast. On the contrary, the other companies I called, including my current mortgage provider, tried to hard sell me and told me I would not find anything cheaper than them. J.G. Wentworth ended up with the lowest closing costs and had the best interest rates so we decided to go with them but I ultimately, I felt comfortable after my numerous conversations with Mike. He was always available by phone or text and would always get back with us. We are definitely giving Mike a call when we make our next move in 8 months!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I chose J. G. Wentworth because they were offering the best rates. I was lucky to be assigned Mike ** as my loan officer. Mike was always available to answer my questions - which I had many because I had never applied for a mortgage before - and coached me through a lot of the processes. He even responded to a frantic call I placed while he was attending a funeral! My closing date kept getting delayed, but Mike stuck with me, helped me to save money, and even negotiated an extra day at no charge on my rate lock extension when it looked like my closing would be delayed again. It was a pleasure to work with Mike and if I need to refinance in the future, I hope I'm able to get him as my loan officer!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The only thing we are happy with JG is we got a wonderful officer Steve. We delayed the closing time due lack of documents. Till headed out still verifying everything is ok. Without Steven it won't be able to close First payment we paid extra to lower our principal. Paid 5 dollars extra through phone 'cause website down for weeks even till now. We don't want to be late. They never told us transition took 60 days or we can wait till transition to new server still will be fine. Although we won't get late fee but now our extra 1000 get stuck in there couldn't really help our plan.

After paid can no longer talk to representatives just computer then hang up. Wrote the email got the answer need to talk to new server. If need to talk to anyone need to do live chat. The website is not user friendly. Never get a call back as they promised after I finally can talk to other branches representatives. Not too happy about this.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

This company is a joke. From beginning to end, they had us in total upheaval. Initial approval was done and they had not researched the law in our state. If doing business in a state they should know the law. Then when they did look into it, they interpreted it incorrectly, putting us into a major tailspin because we had made an offer on an home based on their original approval. They said jump. We said how high. Should have talked to our lawyer first but didn’t... Got the loan after many sleepless nights, had to pay for hotel and for storage that should not have been necessary. And now that we got the loan... tried to deal with payment processing and they can’t get their stories straight either. Don't use this company. Run!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.G. Wentworth Home Lending?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

After Hurricane Irma hit Florida, I was contacted by J.G. Wentworth about helping out after the storm. They offered a deferment plan with possible payback options after the deferment ended. I thought this was great to help those who had a financial impact caused in preparation and damages caused by the storm. Before the deferment ended I contacted J.G. Wentworth to discuss options, they sent me a package to complete, I completed the package and sent it back to them with the intent to use the repayment plan prior to my deferment ending. For the next three months I called and made the normal mortgage payment plus extra to pay back the payment missed during deferment.

Each month I called, spoke with a customer service agent, and asked if everything was ok and make my payment. Each time (Jan, Feb, Mar) they state, yes and thanked me for the payment. In May I received a letter which stated I was past due, I called and spoke with a default collections rep and she told me they never received my repayment package. I asked for another one and in June I had repaid and became current by late May early June. During this time and over the past three months (June, July, August and now September) I have been trying to get the negative reporting on my credit report reversed. They first asked for a letter, which they misplaced and sent to the wrong department, even with it being labeled they way the told me. I asked them to review all calls I made from Jan to May during this "investigation".

On August 7th, I called asking for an update and was told they had completed the "investigation" but they would not reverse it. I asked if they had reviewed the calls and was told they did not, because I did not state the date and the person I spoke with. I asked for a supervisor and was transferred to a Mr. ** (spelling?) asking him if he would review the phone calls I made, when the customer service reps were telling me everything is good. He stated, "I do not need to review the calls, I know what they said. We trained to say it was ok during this time and this was a miscommunication." He also told me, he was going to approve the change to my credit reporting and it would be done within 5 days and if there was an issue he would call me.

Three weeks later, I never received a call or a letter stating their was an issue or a correction. I called again and was again transfer a number of times until I spoke with a Mrs. **. She read back the notes from Mr. ** and stated this should have been completed on the 10th of August and that he wrote there was miscommunication on the part of J.G. Wentworth. She was going to put it for approval again. I called back the next day to check to see if it had been done and speak to her manager Mr. **. I was forwarded to the New Jersey office. I was told by the rep there he was not available but I would receive a call within the next 24 hrs. This was August 30th.

On September 4th, I called again after not receive another call I was promised. To be told that Mrs. ** would call me back that night. Once again, I did not receive any call. I have spent well over 40 hrs on the phone with back and forth trying to get this problem resolved. I have told this issue would be corrected but nothing has been done and it seems now, I'm just getting the run-a-round. I have ask to have all calls and notes sent to me, but was told they will only do that if a court order requests them. It seems I will have to go the litigation route to get this resolved, which will take time and will not help my family in the meantime. I have moved, sold my home in FL, paid-off the loan and relocated to another state and now unable to buy a new home because of this negative reporting.

I would not suggest using this company, I have been stated different policies on the same topic, have experienced them losing or misplacing paperwork, and a complete lack of follow through. I have read other reviews that have experience the same problems other customers have and when speaking to Mr. **, he stated others have gone through the same thing. On a positive note, I will state most of the reps have been very nice and have tried to be helpful in their capacity.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I started out working with a very helpful and knowledgeable loan processor, but he left the company midway through my loan process. I had already paid for an appraisal, which was a waste of $500 because the loan terms changed under the new loan processor, and that is unacceptable. I emailed them several times, but the new loan processor must have decided to stop communicating with me. Sadly, they're in Dallas and I'm in New Orleans so I have no recourse or way to get refunded for my appraisal. I don't recommend J.G. Wentworth Home Loans, but I wish I could.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

At first they made a bunch of promises. Went through the process, made me jump through sooo many hoops, fight through so much red tape, continued to break my balls over and over. Forced me to spend 450.00 on an appraisal that if they did the financial right the first time, they would have told me that I wouldn't qualify and not waste my money that I still have to pay for now and in the end I am less than 200. To the fine line between debt to income ratio.

Plus being serviced by my guy James who mysteriously quit or got fired, then dangling in the wind worrying only to bring it to someone's attention that, "WTF. What's going on." Do yourself a favor and work with a professional company because this isn't one of them. They lie to you and get your hopes up only to let you down... I should get a refund for all my money they wasted with this unprofessional company. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND HEED MY WARNING. OR DON'T AND FIND OUT THE HARD WAY LIKE I DID. THEY SUCK AT IT.

Hello AJ,

We're truly sorry about your experience. We pride ourselves on superior customer service. We are refunding your appraisal fee. Please feel to reach out to me with any further questions or concerns. My number is 484-434-2286. Thanks, Jeff

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

J.G. Wentworth has great customer service. But it was just way too long in underwriting. My closing cost went up every month they didn't finish the loan. At the end, they reversed one of the month's fees.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Our mortgage lending experience with JGW was extremely smooth and Jesse was very attentive, responsive, and answered all of our questions regarding the process in a timely and efficient manner. I would recommend using JGW to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Jesus was a pleasure to work with. He did everything he could to make sure I closed before the end of the month. He did a great job keeping me informed along the way and making sure I handed in all the information needed to close. He made me feel comfortable doing business over the phone which can be a hard task in today's world.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We had a wonderful experience with the team that worked with us during our refinance. They were prompt, easily accessible, and professional. They listened to what we wanted and were able to deliver. The entire process was so simple and we are so happy with how things worked out.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

My loan officer, Tom ** was very professional and easy to work with during my mortgage refinance. He was always there to answer my questions by email or phone. I would highly recommend him to anyone that is looking for a loan officer. Thank you Tom for a great "Customer Service" experience! It was a very smooth process!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Greatly impressed with Tom ** and the team for making this entire process so efficient. Great communication. Especially liked the e-sign capability & email updates. Our closing went smoothly, and everything was well documented with no surprises. Very pleased with the whole experience from start to finish, and will definitely recommend to others.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Mike **, our lender, helped us close on our new house very smoothly and easily despite our buying from out of state. He was very prompt and knowledgeable making us feel at ease during the arduous process of closing. We’re so glad we chose him to be our lender! His lender fee was also unbeatable! Perfect all around!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I recently had the opportunity to work with Mark ** and could not have had a better experience. Mark was always available to answer any questions I had with the transaction and stayed patient throughout the long process. I reached out to other companies and made the wise decision to go with Mark. His honesty and integrity clearly make him a leader in this space. Mark's attention to detail and follow through was appreciated. I couldn't have had a better experience and highly recommend utilizing Mark's knowledge and thoughtfulness for your next deal. Keep up the good work. A++.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Mike ** was our loan representative and was a joy to work with. Not only is he an absolute professional, he has the perfect personality to represent any company. Our loan closed with minimal anxiety and when any issues arose, Mike was there to make it better. I'm glad I had the opportunity to work with such a nice person and would gladly recommend him to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I am fortunate to have worked with Mike ** in the Wayne, Pennsylvania office. Mike is a very professional and honest mortgage broker. He is patient and always willing to answer any questions. He is never pushy, which I greatly appreciate. He got me a great rate, and I didn't have to jump through any hoops. I would definitely recommend you give him a call for your mortgage needs.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Jesus (Jesse) was fabulous. I was new to online mortgage shopping and full of anxiety, so required lots of (repeated) hand holding. Jesse was always super respectful, tactful, solution-oriented, and patient in the extreme. I have recommended him to family members already. Thank you, Jesse, for such a great, if prolonged, experience.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Securing this mortgage to purchase our first home was the equivalent of running a marathon with zero prep or training. For the first month everything was great. The day before our closing we were told we might be denied the loan and were asked to resend documents. We jumped through so many hoops and had so many back and forth phone calls I had ulcers by the end.

However, through it all Justin was awesome. He answered my questions at all hours of the day and weekends, and listened to me gripe on more than one occasion about the process. It was painful. 45 days after we saw our house we closed on it. I fully credit the persistence of our loan officer, Justin, for seeing it through.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I got this company name from Consumer Reports as one of the top mortgage processing companies. That is not my experience. They had 65 days to qualify a measly $60k mortgage and their mistakes in processing now have delayed my closing for an extra three days. Anyone who has moved knows the coordination involved in switching services, hiring movers, utilities, etc. If I could rate them zero stars I would. RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!!

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending response

Thank you for taking the time to write about your unfortunate experience. We apologize. We pride ourselves on exceptional service and regret it deeply when customers experience anything less. If you would like to discuss your situation further, please call 484-434-2286 to speak with a senior executive at the company. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We had a hard time, the first 2 years I lost my job, we have been trying to get caught up, I have a great job now and can afford to pay. But the Loss Mitigation is not worth having, we have filled out the paperwork 8 times to get a modification. We had it all staple together and they still lose papers. I might not have a choice but maybe do a Chapter 13. We do not want to. We call every damn week with the same results. Mortgage companies need to get their departments in control and trained right.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending response

Hello, This is Jeff from J.G. Wentworth Home Lending. Our servicing manager reached out to you this morning to discuss the loss mitigation.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I would like to say that my experience with Mr. Jesus ** was very intriguing and professional and he was very polite in his explanatory of the procedures that need to be done. He provided all of the details that needed to be done by me as well as the information that needed to be provided to him. I would recommend him to future friends and hope they take my advice and go with him for refinancing.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Jesse ** did a great job helping with my refinance. He was professional and helped every step of the way through the entire process. It was a pleasure to work with Jesse and I will recommend J.G. Wentworth to family and friends.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Walter was excellent to work with and remained available throughout the entire mortgage process. He went well above and beyond and everything was exactly how he described. As a first time home buyer he ensured that all of my questions were answered and there were no surprises. He was also extremely patient and didn't mind answering repeat questions that arose. I would highly recommend him to my friends and family.

Original review: July 21, 2018

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending. I am representing an owner of a home, a VETERAN that served our country, in the short sale of their home. Let me start with J.G. Wentworth has been very unhelpful during the entirety of this transaction. They have a viable contract in their possession that meets the terms of what they were asking to net out of the deal and they are rushing to foreclose on this Veteran and his family!! The VA has even gotten involved since they are backing the loan on this property in Stafford County, Va, and has asked twice for an extension of 60 days on the foreclosure and J.G. Wentworth will not even acknowledge an official from the VA with this request! The veteran and his family has jumped through every loop that this bank has asked them to do.

Getting paperwork back the same day as requested. Why are they rushing to foreclose on the owner when they have a contract in place that is exactly what they asked for? Why do they make the process so long and tedious by using fax machine? Why do they take 48 hours or longer to acknowledge any paperwork sent to them? They drag their feet through the entire process. but now they can rush to foreclosure. This is a slap in the face of this Veteran and his family. This was their dream home, their forever home! He had his body broken down through service for our country and this is the best they can do??

Original review: July 19, 2018

I had the pleasure to work with Jesse ** on securing a mortgage for our new home. He was absolutely fantastic! He made the process easy and was always very responsive. Jesse was perfect and deserves a raise!

Original review: July 14, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS LENDER unless you want your credit highly impacted. Honestly, we had four done on one day alone by this company. We had recently refinanced our home with another lender to add my husband and change my name on the deed. This took us approximately 17 business days. We were finally contacted by J.G. Wentworth regarding our original inquiry to them. This should have been a warning, but we didn't see it.

They offered us a good lower rate (with a 30 day lock) and in writing stated several times this would be easier and fast. They advised they would have the loan closed by 07/01/2018 (a Sunday) but meant 07/02/18. So this is where the problems begin. Complaints: 1. Between them and some subcontracted company, they did more than 8 hard credit pulls on our credit. There were some where multiple pulls were done on the same day by both entities. Not necessary as nothing changed. 2. Their performing so many hard pulls has resulted in our credit rating plummeting. We are now having to dispute with the three credit bureaus that these are all duplicate pulls.

3. They were two weeks past their stated date. 4. We are past the date of funding and cannot get a response as to whether the loan funded on time. The original lender is indicating no payment has been received. 5. The loan processor is rude. The underwriter doesn't understand various documentation they receive and cause delays while explanations must be provided (which most of us understand). 6. Our Loan Consultant has been vacant for much of the issues and delays. Only when we notified them we were going to cancel did she again reengage for a very short time. She is again absent.

We sent all of our documentation needed to them on 06/06/18. We received a request for this same information on 06/13/18. Immediately within 2 hours of receiving the request responded that we had already sent and uploaded these documents on 06/06/18 with the exception of one small item (HOA statement). We sent all of the documents to this loan processor yet again on 06/13/18.

Later we were advised that the loan couldn't be processed until after the documents were received and they hadn't been requested until 06/13/18 so they wouldn't have been able to process anything for at least the 5-6 days it would have taken us to compile and send. We had to point out to them they should have started working on the documents as early as 06/07/18 or 06/08/18. They then had to acknowledge they had not paid attention. At this point we asked if our closing and ultimate funding would be delayed. We were still not advised of any change as they were working hard to catch up.

(Synopsizing) After multiple times where we were asked for over and over for the same documents, we were finally able to get J.G. Wentworth to provide a closing date and funding date. Of course the closing date was when were had a planned out of town trip over the July holiday. In order to not lose our lock in or delay further we were forced to cancel our plans and sign documents on a Saturday. (The notary was great - however isn't an employee of this company.) If we had been informed of the true timeline we might not be as unhappy, however there is no reason they needed to perform so many credit pulls.

Now we are past the funding date and no one will respond and the original loan doesn't appear to be paid off. Results: 1. We still don't know if loan has funded and prior lender paid off. 2. Our credit is currently impacted by all of the many credit pulls performed. 3. Funding was not fast nor easy. 4. We are nervous about receiving payment instructions prior to the first payment being due. This company may have a good BBB rating, but that can only be because folks are so frustrated they don't file complaints.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending response

I’m truly sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience. We’re known for exceptional customer service, so please accept my apologies for missing the mark. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact us at 484-434-2286 to speak with a manager.

Original review: July 12, 2018

ZERO! Do not use them! Ramon **, Wilson **, Corey ** and Jared ** are the worst and horrible at their jobs. They dropped the ball on so many accounts. Made a $10k change without my authorization. Gave us misinformation. We going to charge a $3400+ fee for a lock extension. Called me a liar. Told us the appraisal was good to go, only to find out 2 weeks later that it wasn't and they had known that for that whole 2 weeks without telling us. Almost lost the deal. Tossed the appraisal out, wouldn't refund it. Had to jump to another company and pay $1k for a rush appraisal. Worst customer service ever! No caring, no compassion, no sympathy and no deal! Totally ruined our relationship with the seller and we had to put down $5k more earnest just to get an extension to close with another company.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending response

Thank you for taking the time to write about your unfortunate experience. We apologize. We pride ourselves on exceptional service and regret it deeply when customers experience anything less. We would like to discuss your situation further, and ask you to call 484-434-2286 to speak with a manager.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I just refinanced with J.G. Wentworth and would not recommend them. Right before the closing I'm told my house only appraised for 305,000 when even Zillow has it for 337,000. The appraisal had the wrong amount of rooms, wrong amount of bathrooms, wrong heating system for my in law attached apartment. And they used comps from one year ago. So now I have to pay 4400, or drop the loan amount and pay 2200 or up the interest rate by 1/4 percent. I asked for a new appraisal due to the fact that there was so much incorrect info and they refused. Convenient huh??? So now I'm knee deep and if go with someone else it would be months. I have had about 10 mortgages in my lifetime always with local banks. NEVER had this happen. So lesson learned. I will never go with a mortgage company again.

I'm selling my house next year so I went with it. I will be paying the mortgage off and will never use them Again! Plus there were numerous mistakes. Some man's name was on all my checks. It took them 3 times to get his name off. It was ridiculous. Now today I get a check for the escrow telling me my taxes are paid and this is the refund. I call the tax office and NO my property taxes were not paid.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending expert review by Michele Lerner

This financial company offers a variety of services, including home loans. It is licensed to offer mortgage products in 40 states. It is a direct mortgage lender

• Financing options: Consumers can get conventional, FHA, VA and USDA loans from this company. The company offers both fixed and adjustable rate loans and HARP loans for refinancing.

• Online quote: Interested homebuyers can fill out a short form online to receive a quote for their home loan. The form does not require any personal financial information.

• Calculator: The website features a mortgage calculator to help consumers estimate how much their monthly payment might be. The calculator breaks the payment down showing how much will go to principal, taxes and insurance.

• Live chat: Interested consumers can chat with a company representative online. Consumers don’t need to provide anything other than their email address to chat with a representative.

• Best for: homebuyers, homeowners who want to refinance and real estate investors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending Company Information