Find a Mortgages partner

Formerly J.G. Wentworth Home Lending

4.2/5 (313 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Freedom Mortgage

Freedom Mortgage is a full-service mortgage lender offering loans for purchasing a home and refinancing an existing loan. The company specializes in VA and FHA loans and services mortgages for over 1.25 million customers. Freedom Mortgage lends across all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It has been in business over 30 years and is based in Boca Raton, Florida.

Pros

• Specializes in FHA and VA loans
  • Physical loan officer locations
  • Alerts to help you save

Cons

• No app
  • No rates on website

Bottom Line

Freedom Mortgage offers a variety of purchase and refinancing loans. The company has over 30 years of experience and is a popular lender of FHA, VA, USDA and conventional loans. It's available to borrowers in all 50 states.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Freedom Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Really bad experience! The day before we were set to close on a refinance, we get an email saying that the closing has to be pushed back. We didn't hear anything from them for over a month! I asked for my appraisal fee back and I haven't heard a response yet! We ended up going with another mortgage company! STAY AWAY!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I went to LendingTree (reluctantly) after speaking with my major bank (business and personal) and my last home mortgage broker about a home refinance. I was reading the news and could tell that they were quoting rates that were too high and too many requirements. After reluctantly opening a request on LendingTree, I got inundated with lender responses on the first and second day. This turned out to be a good thing. I could immediately tell if I liked their follow up approach. I picked only one lender to call back, J.G. Wentworth. Their followup was a real human, with a calm and professional manner. Every other lender left an automated message.

After speaking with JGW she quickly referred me to a senior lending specialist, Bruce **. Bruce followed up with me as I worked through my doubts and delays. I was constantly busy or traveling and he was polite and persistent with me through the entire process, which was to my benefit. He answered all my questions and concerns over a period of several weeks. It all sounded too good to be true so I was hesitant.

The rate was excellent, the terms were the best, and the whole process was very easy. I was wary of the title company coming to my house to complete the closing but was assured by my accountant it would be okay. Could not have been easier. Thank you, Bruce! I start my new mortgage on the first and am saving twice the amount I had hoped to save after refinancing so all I can say is THANK YOU LendingTree, J.G. Wentworth and BRUCE **. I highly recommend this combination and have only great things to say about Bruce and the whole process.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Earlier this year we refinanced our home through JG Wentworth. Even before we made our first payment, they sold the mortgage to someone else. That was not really a big problem to us. This month we filed an insurance claim for hail damage to our roof. Having not done this before, I didn't know the claim check must be made out to me as well as the mortgage company. Not knowing any different, the check was made out to me and JG Wentworth. In an effort to resolve the matter, I called JG Wentworth four times in a week and no one could inform me what to do. They would say they would have someone call me back but, I never received anything from them at all.

Finally I called my insurance company and they are making out a new check with the new mortgage company on it. This whole matter could have been resolved a lot faster if first, they had informed my insurance company about selling the mortgage and/or second, they had just simply been courteous enough to return my calls.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I barely had my loan 2 weeks and they sold it to a third party. They sold it before my first payment. Why bother going through the whole time factor, to only have your loan sold in two seconds. Very obviously only after the amount of numbers they can generate through loan refi's. Considering I have never refinanced before because I was cautious, well this takes the cake. I do not recommend JG Wentworth.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Our lending agent (Tom **) was recommended to us by our realtor who had closed many houses with him.  We we heard he was working with JG Wentworth, we felt very confident that we were in good hands for him to be working with such a reputable company. Total incompetence from the lender. We were asked for the same documents over and over. We were told documents we submitted were fine, and then asked to resubmit them. We were pushed off to his assistant because he was too busy to handle us, but knew he was busy when he took on our loan.

He wasn’t ready to close on time, didn’t understand the procedures and products he was selling us on. Misrepresented pertinent information to us. Assured us we would be fine to move in early because we were definitely closing and he would pay the difference if we didn't, then ended up costing us an extra $300 for our leaseback, as well as $300 in mobile notary costs that he also said he was paying for.

We were mistaken for other clients, sent information from other clients' accounts pertaining to their houses and purchases, and had a hard time getting in touch with him. On more than one occasion he would tell our agent it was our fault something wasn't on time, and then immediately tell us we were doing fine, it was the lenders or underwriters that didn't know what they were doing. He told us everyone else was messing up but himself. He will tell you everything is fine, it won't be, and he is somehow never to blame.

At one point, Tom called the title company that was handling our account and told their agent that JGW was a bad company, that they couldn't handle him and how big he was. He told them that he had too many clients for a company like JGW to handle and that all of the problems were due to their awful setup. On this same day, he called me to tell me I shouldn't have taken the word of a title company and that I shouldn't be calling his supervisor for help and that all of this was due to the Title company sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

We were grateful that the Title Co was involved because they were the ones that warned us that we wouldn't be closing that Friday, as promised, or the Monday after that Tom assured us would be fine. Not a single person from JG Wentworth has tried to contact us, to apologize, or attempt to refund us for the notary we paid for after being told it was covered. When I called to get help and to complain about Tom, not one person even attempted to say "I am so sorry" or to comfort or aid us with our issues at all.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I applied for a loan with JG Wentworth, I spoke to Jesse **. He told me that there would be two scenarios based on what the house appraised for. AFTER I received the lower appraisal, he tells me that I need to give them $6000 dollars (I was never told about this beforehand). So now I"m out $485 for the appraisal, thanks for nothing. Don't use these guys, especially not Jesse **.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Mike ** and Russell ** were fantastic. They answered all my questions and returned all my communication in a timely manner. I originally contacted Quicken Loans but was soon upset with there high pressure sales mythology and flood of phone calls that I immediately looked elsewhere. JG Wentworth had high reviews so I decided to contact them. No high pressure to commit and no flood of phone calls. I think I made the best decision to go with JG Wentworth. Plus JG Wentworth's closing cost were substantially less than Quicken Loans.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Jeremy was excellent and very patient from the start to the end. He was always available even on weekends. He guided us through the whole process as well as assisting us with appraisals and the closing. Everything went seamless.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I start to work on Refinance my home loan with Bruce **. He's a professional, responsible, quickly answer any my questions at any time. He helped me done with the first important step to get the application, condition loan...etc done. After that, I worked with Magali **. And she's professional too. Quick answer your questions, hardworking to make everything done on time. I highly recommend both Magali ** and Bruce ** in case you want to get your refinance home loan done. Thank you J.G Wentworth so much to help me save almost $100k in my home loan with lower rate, best in the market!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

We refinanced our home, the loan officer (Magali **) was very knowledgeable, responsive, thorough (provided all the needed details to compare between the different options). JG Wentworth had better rates than 5 other competitors. The rates went down after we locked, they respected their word and gave me the new low rate. Closing was also convenient near our home. Would do business with them again anytime.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

We went with JG Wentworth to refinance our home. We are so thankful that we did! Everyone we dealt with, especially Mike **, was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful throughout the entire process. We will definitely use them again for future needs and recommend them to everyone. Thank JG Wentworth Team!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Overall, I couldn't be happier about how my refi went. Closed on time. Terms were good. But most importantly, there was no hassle whatsoever due to working with Nicole **. From beginning to end, communication was top notch. And it wasn't just communication, there was ample transparency in terms of closing costs. Couldn't have asked for a better loan officer and will definitely recommend to others.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

The process took 2.5 months on a simple refi. We had to submit the paperwork multiple times because the website was all screwed up. They could not figure out how to get a digital signature working. We finally canceled when they did not honor the reduced rate after lock promise. Overall, the worst finance company I have ever dealt with and I have owned homes, lake property, vehicles of high value. Never ever again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Mor ** was more than helpful, always available, and very patient. He actually initiated my new loan, alerting me that I could get a lower interest rate, and could save money on the cost of the loan in the long run.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I found getting a mortgage with JG Wentworth to be one of the biggest mistake of my life. My home was already paid for (no mortgage), I really wanted a home equity loan however they said they only could offer me a new mortgage. I was reluctant to do this but went ahead because of the need to have money for needed home repairs. The loan officer I had Nick ** was quite bad. Whenever I had a question about something I had to send an email asking him to call me back. Sometimes it would be the next day before I would get a call back from him and that was with me calling him a 2nd time.

The process started in April and I did not get approved until late June. One hand in the company did not know what the other was doing. They also had misinformation that I had to correct on a number of occasions. Amounts were changed, Mr. ** would say he had informed me of information that he had not informed me about. I ended up submitting at least 50 items (if not more) of documentation before they finally approved the mortgage. To add insult to injury my first payment was due Aug. 1, 2019, prior to making my payment I get a letter in the mail saying JG Wentworth had sold my loan to another company. As of now I am in the middle of trying to find out where my additional principal payment is. Stay away from JG Wentworth unless you want to experience a nightmare similar to the one one I had. You don't need the headache and there are more reputable and competent companies out there. Just so sorry I went with them.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

For starters, my credit score is about 800, so you'd think an easy process, right? Well, where to begin? I was transferred loan officers in the middle of the process and given bad pricing on how many "points" were agreed to in a refinance. The closing disclosure came back wrong and created an even further delay. I have still yet to close, but am praying it happens in the next few days.

Oh... want to actually talk to someone? Well during the "sales" part of the process, they are SUPER helpful and warm and fuzzy. Once they have you in the process, they don't even bother to reach out. In the last 3 weeks, I have had to initiate every single discussion to understand what is going on and how they plan to fix my issues. Yet still I wait for response. If you still have time, run away as fast as humanly possible!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Mr. Jesse **, NMLS #**, was an excellent communicator and extremely thorough and prompt in his responses. His professionalism and ability to clarify items made us feel that we were being well served in the loan process. I would and will recommend him to my acquaintances. He is a great ambassador for J.G. Wentworth.

Gary and Joyce

Original review: July 31, 2019

Nicole is simply amazing. She helped us every step of the way with our refinancing. She is very knowledgeable, professional and kind. We are extremely pleased with her and highly recommend her. Nicole is top notch.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Jeremy ** is one of the best loan officers I've ever dealt with he kept me posted on the best possible interest rate. He was professional, personable, and did whatever he could to help assure a good experience. He was always available, and incredibly responsive to my questions. He made my refinance a good experience, even when faced with adversity. Highly recommended!

Original review: July 16, 2019

This is my 2nd refinance with Jesse and I couldn't be happier. He goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to putting your mind at ease and getting the job done. From the 1st day I contacted Jesse through closing, he was with me every step of the way making sure I knew what was happening and would quickly answer all questions I had. Great guy, best loan officer around!

Original review: July 16, 2019

I had an excellent experience refinancing my house with J.G. Wentworth Home Lending. My loan officer Jesse ** was amazing. He was very professional and patient. He was always available and ready to explain everything to me. Due to his hard work, I was able to close way ahead of time. Thank you Jesse, you're simply the best!

Original review: June 26, 2019

Nicole from JGW and located in the Dallas, Texas office was a joy to work with. Friendly, helpful, and kept me up to date on the progress of the loan. Also assisted w/ the e-doc signing. A GREAT employee.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Mor ** was great! Throughout the many steps of the refinancing process, Mor was always available “24/7” - explaining what needed to be done and also working “behind the scenes” to get things worked out whenever there were issues so that we could close in “record time” so that we could leave on our vacation with everything done! Thank you, Mor!!!

Original review: May 24, 2019

Mike - Mr. ** is extremely pleasant to work with, responding promptly to our questions, getting the necessary documents to us right away, and processing our completed documents timely. My wife and I highly recommend Mr. ** and we would do business with him again.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Thank you JG Wentworth for making the dream of homeownership a reality. We would not be in our new home if it weren't for the efforts of our loan officer, Mike **. He was on top of it and kept us informed every step of the way. Our loan closed super fast and our realtor was very happy. This is a dream come true for our family. Thank you Mike ** and Sue ** for making it happen!

Original review: May 20, 2019

I wanted to give a big thank you to your team at JG Wentworth and especially Mike **. My first mortgage refinance was a bit tricky (appraisal came in lower than I had expected) and I was unsure of the refinance process. With such a big decision, I wanted to make sure I was informed and made the right choice. Mike took the time to answer my seemingly endless amount of questions and explained the process to me in a way that was easily understandable. This really helped establish a level of trust with me and left me feeling confident that I was making the right decision. After the low appraisal, Mike was able to help me secure a great rate and closing terms. Overall, I am very happy with the service. I'd gladly recommend anyone else looking to refinance to call up Mike ** and JG Wentworth!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have submitted my application on April 14, 2019. My loan officer was Jeff ** in state of Arizona. He promised the lowest interest rate out of all and very promising at the beginning. I have submitted all the necessary documents and let him know I will be on vacation starting May 19th for one week and I will be glad to document I will need before then. At first, he mentioned the loan will be closed by end of April and I will skip May payment, and we spoke to him for different rates. He called other companies scam and was very upset that I am shopping around. He mentioned I am wasting his time which frankly coming from a professional is very unacceptable. Because that is what people do, they shop around for the best deal.

I stayed with the company since they gave a low rate. My house was appraised on Wednesday, April, 22nd I did not get a copy of the report until I made a phone call to the corporate and this was early this week (June 7th). As of today, June 10th I have not received any information nor request additional request for documents. I emailed my loan officer and I called the office again. He just got off the phone with mad and upset of why I am following up with the process. He got very mad, called me mentally unstable and if that was not bad enough he mentioned it to me that he know many people I work with at school (which I am not sure how is this related to my refinance process) that is taking 28 days by now with no updates. Frankly, I am not sure how my loan officer is an expert in psychology field and can label his customers like that. This loan is almost a 30 days now if we count the weekends and no updates. Thank you for looking into this.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Megan Offered to beat any competition pricing, ultimately after a month and a half of going back and forth requesting info day after day they denied the loan. What pissed me off was wasted time and losing the other offers I had from competitors. 780-800 credit 380k balance on 750k home. No debt and w2 income to pay off the loan if needed. Stick with real lenders like Quicken. They may charge a few more dollars but you won’t have to deal with incompetent underwriters.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I found Nicole ** through Lending Tree. I had multiple people email and phone me after my inquiry, however Nicole stood out in both her email and message. I screened the people and many sounded like they were brand new Loan officers or they were too aggressive. Nicole was very professional and I decided to give her a call, I am so glad I did. She has been very professional as well and personable, which I value higher! We had a few bumps along the way that were in no way her fault, she helped clear them as quickly as possible and made the refi experience extremely pleasant. You will not be disappointed if you choose to work with her!!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

Excellent experience. Just completed a refinance loan with Mor ** at J.G Wentworth, He made the whole loan process simple and explained every step along the way. He was always courteous and helpful, when we had question. And if he did not have the answer, he would find out for us in a timely manner. I would not hesitate to use J.G. Wentworth and Mor ** for future home loans.

Freedom Mortgage Company Information