3.91/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending is a direct lender with highly competitive mortgage rates, an easy application process and exceptional customer service.

Mortgages made easy and affordable

Putting you first is the thinking that drives the J.G. Wentworth Home Lending client-friendly mortgage program.

Super low interest rates

Count on mortgage rates that are very competitive – and with no “gotcha” points or hidden fees. Use our online calculator to see how little you could be paying.

The mortgage you need we most likely have

Buying a home, rental property or vacation home? Refinancing an existing mortgage? We can help with loans that include:

· Fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages

· FHA loans with a low down payment

· VA mortgages with no down payment

· And more

Simplicity

Our application process is easy and fast. This time-saving process starts with a free, no-obligation quote delivered to you in minutes.

Trust

We have an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau, and our parent company, J.G. Wentworth, has served the community since 1992. Together with these assurances of quality, check out the many testimonials from customers just like you.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending is an Equal Housing Lender. NMLS # 2925. We do not provide legal, tax or investment advice. Please visit our website for more information on State Licenses and Disclosures.

View More View More

252 J.G. Wentworth Home Lending Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Jesse was very patient during this long process. He handled the situation very professionally. Never did I feel that I had lost contact with him. He kept me well informed from start to finish. I would rate his performance as an A+.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Here are my experience dealing with 2 different agents at JGWW: 1st Agent, Michael ** at Troy, MI - I was contacted by Michael after I inquired about mortgage loan from Lendingtree.com. I was skeptical at first about obtaining loan from out of state, but he explained to me that it is common, and that JGWW has the advantage of low rate and low origination fee for Costco members, which prompted me to proceed with the application.

First problem that I encountered was with their documents submission portal. They could not resolve it until 2 or 3 days after. That was not a big deal to me. The worst part was when there was suddenly no response at all after I submitted all the docs requested of me. At one point, I felt that I was scammed! Although that turned out to be an overreaction on my part. But seriously, no communication all of a sudden. He stopped responding calls and emails without explanation.

2nd Agent, David ** at Woodbridge, VA - The Costco program led me to give them another shot, so I submitted another inquiry hoping that another one of their agents could use the same application and information I had previously submitted. It turned out they could not, so they had to run my credit again. That was fine, and this agent actually reached out to me for clarification, so I thought it would work great this time around. There were a few times of playing phone tag, and he did not respond to my last email, so I thought I would try another call.

Finally, I got a hold of him, and we talked about my loan request of $610K for a house that I was trying to make an offer for. By this time, I already have 1 full approval (although for less than that amount) and 1 pre-approval for $620K. David said that he could not approve me for a $610K loan, which was fine, so my question to him was that I wanted to know how much could JGWW qualify me for. I informed him of the approvals that I was already given. Then that was when he started becoming agitated. He told me that I was being dishonest with him, and told me that he would not help me when all I asked was for him to let me know the amount that he could pre-approve me for. I even offered to send him an email of my $620K pre-approval, which he declined.

I would usually walk away after being treated that way, but I continued to press for a pre-approval figure because by now I have wasted 2 credit pulls by JGWW. He finally agreed to get back to me tomorrow, but I am curious to find out if he actually will. Note that I typically do not file complains, but I felt really offended by the accusation.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Jesse ** was my Loan Officer and Cathie ** was my Loan Processor, they both did a terrific job! Telephone conversations and email communications were consistently clear and concise. There was transparency in regards to the figures, and I did not discover any surprise hidden fees. All of my questions and concerns throughout the entire process were promptly addressed in a very professional manner. I also found the website easy to use and convenient for uploading and submitting requisite documents. My closing date was fast track, and the date(s) moved around a bit, but the J.G. Wentworth team was able handle it and support my needs. Everything went perfect, and I strongly recommend using these folks.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I am only writing this review so that other people don't have to go through what I am going through for my home loan. I was/am working with Jennifer ** (Brand Manager) at the Woodbridge, VA office and I have never had a more unpleasant and frustrating experience. From day one it was nothing but excuses for delayed responses, mis-information, emails that weren't clear that created extra work, etc. We now sit here today, 3 days past our original closing date because they didn't have everything done. What was I given? Excuses. Now we rescheduled our closing to today and guess what, we were told last night at 4:45 pm that they won't get the information to the title company on time. Jennifer is notorious for sending late in the day emails so that nothing can be done until the next morning and then it's almost impossible to get a response at that.

I am now sitting here, waiting to see if they can get stuff over to the title company in time to close today. If not, me, my one year old son, 2 dogs and husband don't have a place to live tonight as we have to be out of our rental by midnight tonight. This morning I ask for an update, and I'm once again, given excuses that 7 of their underwriters are out of the office because of a storm and that the underwriter who was working on my file last night didn't have power so there was nothing they could do. I have sympathy for the storm but it's so hard to be empathetic when so much is on the line and my empathy has been worn thin by all the prior excuses.

The amount of time, constant nagging to get responses, stress of not being communicated to, late notices that things aren't going as planned and general frustration just isn't worth it. PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE USING THIS COMPANY! It's frustrating that I am down close to $1,000 in extra mover labor fees, canceled move in/move out cleaning appointments, paying for a weekend move instead of a weekday move and potentially staying in a hotel for the next 3 days until this company gets their stuff together. What's even more frustrating is they're still going to get all their commission on this and there's not a darn thing I can do about it. I have repeatedly asked how they're going to make this right and guess what I get... yep... excuses! There are lots of options out there, I would highly recommend skipping over this one.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Loan Officer Megan ** contacted me immediately and won my trust within minutes. We discussed my needs and she came up with a plan that suited me completely. No pressure, no push she simply convinced me that she was looking out for my best interests. We put the deal in motion and it went off without a hitch, and in a timely manner. She held my hand all the way through the process. This is not my first mortgage and more often than not the process can be similar to a visit to the dentist. Megan qualifies as a "painless dentist". She is an asset to your company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.G. Wentworth Home Lending?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Thanks for being patient, working well with my time constraints, and explaining things to me after hours. You worked so hard to make what would have been a very stressful refinancing experience very smooth.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

From the beginning to the end, Morning **, was very upfront and honest with me and, I appreciate that, he was able to explain step by step, line by line all the options that I had, and at the end, everything came through just like we've talked about. Thanks J.G. Wentworth for having Mor, as part of your staff. I was pleased.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Customer Beware: If you go with JGW, be sure that your closing date is firm. JGW started with very good rates and fees, that is why we decided to go with them, but when there was a closing delay completely out of our control (structural issue on the house where sellers would not close until they settled with their insurance), JGW charged us $11OO to push the closing 30 days. I spoke to both the agent and the agent's manager who both, without apology, insisted the fee be paid to extend the lock, even though I said I would allow a higher rate if that lock were to be allowed to expire. They refused to allow that. There was no flexibility in policy, even though the delay did not come to a significant cost to them.

Bottom line: The manager had little regard for the situation or his customer. It was very clear, the chance to collect some extra fees was primary in the conversation. In the end, I was told the relocking fees would actually accumulate if we did not close. We did close 30 days later, and JGW got the extra money, even with little extra cost to themselves. I believe they bank on the fact that once you are that far into it, you will just pay the money instead of going through the work of going with another lender, and delaying closing further.

Good short-term profit strategy. Very poor customer service. Your repeat business is not their concern. I even told the manager that if JGW followed through with the charge, my only recourse would be to tell of the situation in a review. He never even called me back after he said he would follow up. And if they don't publish this, the review will be placed at the Lending Tree level where JGW was referred from.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Jesus was upfront with pricing and what to expect. I was going to work with someone local but could not get straight numbers and loan estimate to assure me of my expenses. Jesus was quick to respond with questions I had and moved the transaction along quickly.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Jessie was very helpful and attentive at all times. There were no questions he did not answer. He would return calls within minutes, never adding to the stress involved. He is a credit to your organization's mission.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We got quotes from 5 major companies and their's was the best. When you call ask for Philip ** he was the nicest person to deal with and answered the phone every time we called. He became a friend and not just a lender. He was able to get everything worked out so that on our first home purchase we got a traditional loan for a great rate and closed in 30 days. I highly recommend and would do business with them again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I started this process on 8/17/18 - I sent in all my paperwork on time and as requested, when requested. There has been confusion about documents needed from VA. Confusion on what forms need signed - as of today I have sent in the same form filled in three different ways, because they did not fill it out correctly to begin with. I had a last minute termite inspection I was told about 9/21/18 and we were too close on 9/28/18. Had that completed the 22nd and sent everything in. Today I get an email about what work did the termite men do - this I sent in with the report Saturday - clear as day on the form. Also another form from underwriting for correction. Tonight - I received a second set of closing documents - with a higher loan amount, more fees and my escrow set at twice what it should be - raising my payment by 300$ a month.

Now again these are the second set of closing documents - the first I signed on the 25th so we could close by the 28th of September. They are also a big fan of the 4:55 pm email, the office closes at 5. Therefore any questions, concerns or work that need completed gets put off for the next day, or the next week. I am so beyond frustrated with the process - and I would dump them - but I need to get this done and have the stress out of my life - I wait patiently to see what tomorrow's fubar situation will be. My husband served 15 years for this country - we deserve better than this.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

JG Wentworth was easy very easy to work with. I almost went with another lender because of all their promises until I spoke with Jeremy at JG Wentworth and realized there were some hidden costs in the other company's offer. Not so with this company. Everything was straightforward and easy to understand.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I told I was that I would be approved of loan by loan officer Marty. I was told to get my house appraised. They charge me $525 for the appraisal. Three months later I was told my loan was denied. They telling me my money can't be refunded. I ask Marty before I paid for the appraisal if my loan get denied will I be able to get my money back he said yes. Still no money back. I was told by his supervisor I can't get my money back. So money gone down the drain. Don't do business with them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Jesse ** is great loan officer. He was very helpful in guiding me through the refinance process for my loan. He was quick to answer any questions I had, and kept me informed on what was happening. I'm extremely happy with the whole experience.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Jesus ** was amazing! He helped me with my loan process from start to finish. He is extremely knowledgeable with what needs to get done and make the process happen. Jesus responded immediately to every one of my questions. I truly felt as though I was his only customer. My brother passed away during the loan process and he took a moment to send me his condolences. This was a very respectful, professional, human experience! I am so grateful to Jesus and all the staff for such a professional job well done!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Mike ** was fantastic to work with. I think the thing that impressed me the most was his candid and honest nature that he approached the call with. We shopped around for a refinance and he guided us through the search process, encouraging us to compare and contrast. On the contrary, the other companies I called, including my current mortgage provider, tried to hard sell me and told me I would not find anything cheaper than them. J.G. Wentworth ended up with the lowest closing costs and had the best interest rates so we decided to go with them but I ultimately, I felt comfortable after my numerous conversations with Mike. He was always available by phone or text and would always get back with us. We are definitely giving Mike a call when we make our next move in 8 months!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I chose J. G. Wentworth because they were offering the best rates. I was lucky to be assigned Mike ** as my loan officer. Mike was always available to answer my questions - which I had many because I had never applied for a mortgage before - and coached me through a lot of the processes. He even responded to a frantic call I placed while he was attending a funeral! My closing date kept getting delayed, but Mike stuck with me, helped me to save money, and even negotiated an extra day at no charge on my rate lock extension when it looked like my closing would be delayed again. It was a pleasure to work with Mike and if I need to refinance in the future, I hope I'm able to get him as my loan officer!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The only thing we are happy with JG is we got a wonderful officer Steve. We delayed the closing time due lack of documents. Till headed out still verifying everything is ok. Without Steven it won't be able to close First payment we paid extra to lower our principal. Paid 5 dollars extra through phone 'cause website down for weeks even till now. We don't want to be late. They never told us transition took 60 days or we can wait till transition to new server still will be fine. Although we won't get late fee but now our extra 1000 get stuck in there couldn't really help our plan.

After paid can no longer talk to representatives just computer then hang up. Wrote the email got the answer need to talk to new server. If need to talk to anyone need to do live chat. The website is not user friendly. Never get a call back as they promised after I finally can talk to other branches representatives. Not too happy about this.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

This company is a joke. From beginning to end, they had us in total upheaval. Initial approval was done and they had not researched the law in our state. If doing business in a state they should know the law. Then when they did look into it, they interpreted it incorrectly, putting us into a major tailspin because we had made an offer on an home based on their original approval. They said jump. We said how high. Should have talked to our lawyer first but didn’t... Got the loan after many sleepless nights, had to pay for hotel and for storage that should not have been necessary. And now that we got the loan... tried to deal with payment processing and they can’t get their stories straight either. Don't use this company. Run!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

After Hurricane Irma hit Florida, I was contacted by J.G. Wentworth about helping out after the storm. They offered a deferment plan with possible payback options after the deferment ended. I thought this was great to help those who had a financial impact caused in preparation and damages caused by the storm. Before the deferment ended I contacted J.G. Wentworth to discuss options, they sent me a package to complete, I completed the package and sent it back to them with the intent to use the repayment plan prior to my deferment ending. For the next three months I called and made the normal mortgage payment plus extra to pay back the payment missed during deferment.

Each month I called, spoke with a customer service agent, and asked if everything was ok and make my payment. Each time (Jan, Feb, Mar) they state, yes and thanked me for the payment. In May I received a letter which stated I was past due, I called and spoke with a default collections rep and she told me they never received my repayment package. I asked for another one and in June I had repaid and became current by late May early June. During this time and over the past three months (June, July, August and now September) I have been trying to get the negative reporting on my credit report reversed. They first asked for a letter, which they misplaced and sent to the wrong department, even with it being labeled they way the told me. I asked them to review all calls I made from Jan to May during this "investigation".

On August 7th, I called asking for an update and was told they had completed the "investigation" but they would not reverse it. I asked if they had reviewed the calls and was told they did not, because I did not state the date and the person I spoke with. I asked for a supervisor and was transferred to a Mr. ** (spelling?) asking him if he would review the phone calls I made, when the customer service reps were telling me everything is good. He stated, "I do not need to review the calls, I know what they said. We trained to say it was ok during this time and this was a miscommunication." He also told me, he was going to approve the change to my credit reporting and it would be done within 5 days and if there was an issue he would call me.

Three weeks later, I never received a call or a letter stating their was an issue or a correction. I called again and was again transfer a number of times until I spoke with a Mrs. **. She read back the notes from Mr. ** and stated this should have been completed on the 10th of August and that he wrote there was miscommunication on the part of J.G. Wentworth. She was going to put it for approval again. I called back the next day to check to see if it had been done and speak to her manager Mr. **. I was forwarded to the New Jersey office. I was told by the rep there he was not available but I would receive a call within the next 24 hrs. This was August 30th.

On September 4th, I called again after not receive another call I was promised. To be told that Mrs. ** would call me back that night. Once again, I did not receive any call. I have spent well over 40 hrs on the phone with back and forth trying to get this problem resolved. I have told this issue would be corrected but nothing has been done and it seems now, I'm just getting the run-a-round. I have ask to have all calls and notes sent to me, but was told they will only do that if a court order requests them. It seems I will have to go the litigation route to get this resolved, which will take time and will not help my family in the meantime. I have moved, sold my home in FL, paid-off the loan and relocated to another state and now unable to buy a new home because of this negative reporting.

I would not suggest using this company, I have been stated different policies on the same topic, have experienced them losing or misplacing paperwork, and a complete lack of follow through. I have read other reviews that have experience the same problems other customers have and when speaking to Mr. **, he stated others have gone through the same thing. On a positive note, I will state most of the reps have been very nice and have tried to be helpful in their capacity.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I started out working with a very helpful and knowledgeable loan processor, but he left the company midway through my loan process. I had already paid for an appraisal, which was a waste of $500 because the loan terms changed under the new loan processor, and that is unacceptable. I emailed them several times, but the new loan processor must have decided to stop communicating with me. Sadly, they're in Dallas and I'm in New Orleans so I have no recourse or way to get refunded for my appraisal. I don't recommend J.G. Wentworth Home Loans, but I wish I could.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

At first they made a bunch of promises. Went through the process, made me jump through sooo many hoops, fight through so much red tape, continued to break my balls over and over. Forced me to spend 450.00 on an appraisal that if they did the financial right the first time, they would have told me that I wouldn't qualify and not waste my money that I still have to pay for now and in the end I am less than 200. To the fine line between debt to income ratio.

Plus being serviced by my guy James who mysteriously quit or got fired, then dangling in the wind worrying only to bring it to someone's attention that, "WTF. What's going on." Do yourself a favor and work with a professional company because this isn't one of them. They lie to you and get your hopes up only to let you down... I should get a refund for all my money they wasted with this unprofessional company. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND HEED MY WARNING. OR DON'T AND FIND OUT THE HARD WAY LIKE I DID. THEY SUCK AT IT.

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending response

Hello AJ,

We're truly sorry about your experience. We pride ourselves on superior customer service. We are refunding your appraisal fee. Please feel to reach out to me with any further questions or concerns. My number is 484-434-2286. Thanks, Jeff

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

J.G. Wentworth has great customer service. But it was just way too long in underwriting. My closing cost went up every month they didn't finish the loan. At the end, they reversed one of the month's fees.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Our mortgage lending experience with JGW was extremely smooth and Jesse was very attentive, responsive, and answered all of our questions regarding the process in a timely and efficient manner. I would recommend using JGW to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Jesus was a pleasure to work with. He did everything he could to make sure I closed before the end of the month. He did a great job keeping me informed along the way and making sure I handed in all the information needed to close. He made me feel comfortable doing business over the phone which can be a hard task in today's world.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We had a wonderful experience with the team that worked with us during our refinance. They were prompt, easily accessible, and professional. They listened to what we wanted and were able to deliver. The entire process was so simple and we are so happy with how things worked out.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

My loan officer, Tom ** was very professional and easy to work with during my mortgage refinance. He was always there to answer my questions by email or phone. I would highly recommend him to anyone that is looking for a loan officer. Thank you Tom for a great "Customer Service" experience! It was a very smooth process!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Greatly impressed with Tom ** and the team for making this entire process so efficient. Great communication. Especially liked the e-sign capability & email updates. Our closing went smoothly, and everything was well documented with no surprises. Very pleased with the whole experience from start to finish, and will definitely recommend to others.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Mike **, our lender, helped us close on our new house very smoothly and easily despite our buying from out of state. He was very prompt and knowledgeable making us feel at ease during the arduous process of closing. We’re so glad we chose him to be our lender! His lender fee was also unbeatable! Perfect all around!

J.G. Wentworth Home Lending Company Information