Formerly J.G. Wentworth Home Lending

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Freedom Mortgage

Freedom Mortgage (NMLS #2767) is a full-service mortgage lender that offers home purchase and refinance loans. The company provides both conventional loans and government-backed loans, including FHA, VA and USDA loans. It lends across all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Freedom Mortgage has been in business for more than 30 years and is based in Boca Raton, Florida.

Pros

• Specializes in FHA and VA loans
  • Rate and closing guarantees

Cons

• No construction or home equity loans

Bottom Line

Freedom Mortgage offers a variety of purchase and refinance loans. The company has over 30 years of experience and is a popular FHA, VA, USDA and conventional loan provider. It's available in all 50 states.

Freedom Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?

Original review: April 15, 2021

The Short: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY. The long: Freedom Mortgage has pushed our closing back for our refinance 4 times now! None of it is issues with us. Our credit score is great and we have NOTHING else holding us back from closing. We were supposed to close back in November of 2020!!!! It is now April 2021 and they just called to cancel the closing yet again the day before we are supposed to close! This is the most unprofessional business I have ever dealt with. I highly recommend that you avoid using Freedom Mortgage at all cost. They will run circles around you and hit your credit score 5 TIMES!!!! Because they can’t get their act together. This is a joke of a company.

Original review: March 11, 2021

My mortgage was transferred to Freedom recently. On February 19th, I wanted to make a payment for half the March amount due. I was going to make the rest the week after. However, when I made the 700 dollar payment on the website, it went to principal only, which was not what I intended. On February 28th, when I logged on to make the remaining payment, I realized what had happened. I knew it had been applied to principal because it was still showing the full amount due. I called Freedom and they said they could process a refund after 10 days, so call back on the 1st, because that would be the 10th day. (Call 1) March 1st, I called and was told by a man that I would receive the refund in 24-48 hours.

(Call 2) March 3rd, it had been 48 hours and I had not received the refund. I called and spoke to a woman. She said I did not receive the refund because I had not provided my bank account information. Why didn't the man ask me for it on the phone? I gave my bank account info anyway and remained polite and respectful. He made a mistake, no big deal. I was told my refund would arrive in 24 hours. (Call 3) March 4th, I called and spoke to Camille who told me I hadn't received my refund because I hadn't given proof of the transaction leaving my account. Then she said, I see that it was more than 10 days ago, so you won't need proof. I asked what I should do, and she said she didn't know. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

I spoke with Desiree and she told me the same thing. She told me she would work with the dept who processes the refunds and tell them to put it through. She assured me I would have the money in 24 hours maybe the day after. She told me I did NOT need to send proof. She told me my refund would arrive Friday or Saturday, which was 1-2 days from then. I thought it was finally figured out because she was so reassuring on the phone. (Call 4) March 8th, I called and spoke to a man who again requested proof, then again said I do NOT need to send proof because it had been over 10 days. I did not send proof because I was told not to (twice).

(Call 5) March 9th, I received a vm from Beverly but I was at work so I called back. I called twice. Once I spoke to a woman and she said I needed to provide proof. I explained what had been happening and requested to speak to Desiree. No one could find Desiree. I did not have her badge number, that was not their fault. Beverly took a message for her. I asked for a call back in about 40 minutes because I was going into a doctor's appointment.

(Call 6) The second call on March 9th, I was informed Desiree was out of the office that day, and I explained the situation again and asked to speak to a different supervisor. I spoke to Brian **. He said when they told me I did not need to provide proof, that was misinformation. Every time they send the request to the dept that processes refunds, they reject it because there was no proof that the 700 was deducted from my account. Then, I am told repeatedly by customer service, even a manager, that since it has already been 10 days (much longer at this point) I should NOT need to provide proof. I sent proof to Brian and he confirmed he received the email. He said he worked 11-8 the following day and would check on it as soon as he got in, and throughout the day. He said the refund processing usually takes 24 hours.

(Call 7) At this point I had made at least 7 calls and spoken to I think 9 different people, including 2 managers or supervisors. It has been 3 weeks or about 21 days since I made the 700 dollar payment and I have received no refund as promised multiple times. When I call, I am told something different every time. I have not heard from Brian. March 10th, after almost 24 hours, I emailed him again asking for an update. Today is March 11th and I emailed him again this morning.

I would like this issue escalated further. First, I would like a written promise date for my refund to be released to the bank. Then, I would like to find out why I was given misinformation so many times. They even gave me 2 different amounts that I needed to provide proof for. I would like a written promise date, a reason for everything that has happened, and I would like my refund by the end of the day Friday, March 12th. Thank you, Rose.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I never post any reviews because it’s just not worth the time however, I had to explain how sneaky and untrustworthy J.G. Wentworth is. I refinanced with them last year as it was my first time doing so. I asked for a 30 year fixed rate and was given a conventional loan instead. I didn’t know till today because I was told by the new bank who purchased my loan. The loan officer who helped me was Celeste ** and Charise **. I tried calling them and first the lines rang. Now they blocked my calls since I left a message of why they didn’t do what I asked. This place is not trustworthy and I wouldn’t do any business with them again. I called many times. No manager or person in charge has time to speak to me. If I can give them - ratings I would. Hope this helps and no one else gets ripped off.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Glenn was as efficient as any loan officer I've ever dealt with (been involved with over a dozen purchases/sales). He gave me a killer rate compared to the three others that I obtained. He made a great suggestion when he asked me if I was a veteran as I was not thinking about using my VA. He made the whole process so painless. I appreciate it!! So sorry, this link went to a spam box and I just dug it out. The loan was over 2 yrs ago. Thanks, Moo

Original review: March 13, 2020

The loan representative made false promises to get me to apply for a home refinance. During the process I learned this representative left the company. After that, the manager stepped in to take up the slack and was very pushy, rude at times, and made the whole experience an unpleasant one. I withdrew my application due to the poor transparency and poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

In 2013 I purchased a home, and as a veteran used my option to do it via a VA loan. Between 2013 and 2016 my loan was re-sold 3 times, and I was quite frustrated in dealing with small mortgage companies with little web-presence, short/odd customer service hours, and not accepting electronic payments. In 2016 I started a search for a mortgage company that seems reputable with better options, and hoped for one that would not immediately sell my loan. I discovered JG Wentworth who met my criteria, and stated that it was their policy not to sell VA loans, so I re-financed with JG Wentworth.

From 2016 to 2019 things have gone smoothly, and JG Wentworth met my expectations and needs. In 2019 they have completely let me down by selling or transferring my VA mortgage to another mortgage provider. Now I am once again stuck with a provider I did not select, and expect to once again return to the cycle of having my mortgage sold or transferred every year. JG Wentworth's mortgage department has failed to meet my expectations and their promise over the long term. Enter with your eyes wide open, you're just a commodity to JG Wentworth, they have no loyalty to you, and will sell you off when it suits them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Really bad experience! The day before we were set to close on a refinance, we get an email saying that the closing has to be pushed back. We didn't hear anything from them for over a month! I asked for my appraisal fee back and I haven't heard a response yet! We ended up going with another mortgage company! STAY AWAY!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I went to LendingTree (reluctantly) after speaking with my major bank (business and personal) and my last home mortgage broker about a home refinance. I was reading the news and could tell that they were quoting rates that were too high and too many requirements. After reluctantly opening a request on LendingTree, I got inundated with lender responses on the first and second day. This turned out to be a good thing. I could immediately tell if I liked their follow up approach. I picked only one lender to call back, J.G. Wentworth. Their followup was a real human, with a calm and professional manner. Every other lender left an automated message.

After speaking with JGW she quickly referred me to a senior lending specialist, Bruce **. Bruce followed up with me as I worked through my doubts and delays. I was constantly busy or traveling and he was polite and persistent with me through the entire process, which was to my benefit. He answered all my questions and concerns over a period of several weeks. It all sounded too good to be true so I was hesitant.

The rate was excellent, the terms were the best, and the whole process was very easy. I was wary of the title company coming to my house to complete the closing but was assured by my accountant it would be okay. Could not have been easier. Thank you, Bruce! I start my new mortgage on the first and am saving twice the amount I had hoped to save after refinancing so all I can say is THANK YOU LendingTree, J.G. Wentworth and BRUCE **. I highly recommend this combination and have only great things to say about Bruce and the whole process.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Earlier this year we refinanced our home through JG Wentworth. Even before we made our first payment, they sold the mortgage to someone else. That was not really a big problem to us. This month we filed an insurance claim for hail damage to our roof. Having not done this before, I didn't know the claim check must be made out to me as well as the mortgage company. Not knowing any different, the check was made out to me and JG Wentworth. In an effort to resolve the matter, I called JG Wentworth four times in a week and no one could inform me what to do. They would say they would have someone call me back but, I never received anything from them at all.

Finally I called my insurance company and they are making out a new check with the new mortgage company on it. This whole matter could have been resolved a lot faster if first, they had informed my insurance company about selling the mortgage and/or second, they had just simply been courteous enough to return my calls.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I barely had my loan 2 weeks and they sold it to a third party. They sold it before my first payment. Why bother going through the whole time factor, to only have your loan sold in two seconds. Very obviously only after the amount of numbers they can generate through loan refi's. Considering I have never refinanced before because I was cautious, well this takes the cake. I do not recommend JG Wentworth.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Our lending agent (Tom **) was recommended to us by our realtor who had closed many houses with him.  We we heard he was working with JG Wentworth, we felt very confident that we were in good hands for him to be working with such a reputable company. Total incompetence from the lender. We were asked for the same documents over and over. We were told documents we submitted were fine, and then asked to resubmit them. We were pushed off to his assistant because he was too busy to handle us, but knew he was busy when he took on our loan.

He wasn’t ready to close on time, didn’t understand the procedures and products he was selling us on. Misrepresented pertinent information to us. Assured us we would be fine to move in early because we were definitely closing and he would pay the difference if we didn't, then ended up costing us an extra $300 for our leaseback, as well as $300 in mobile notary costs that he also said he was paying for.

We were mistaken for other clients, sent information from other clients' accounts pertaining to their houses and purchases, and had a hard time getting in touch with him. On more than one occasion he would tell our agent it was our fault something wasn't on time, and then immediately tell us we were doing fine, it was the lenders or underwriters that didn't know what they were doing. He told us everyone else was messing up but himself. He will tell you everything is fine, it won't be, and he is somehow never to blame.

At one point, Tom called the title company that was handling our account and told their agent that JGW was a bad company, that they couldn't handle him and how big he was. He told them that he had too many clients for a company like JGW to handle and that all of the problems were due to their awful setup. On this same day, he called me to tell me I shouldn't have taken the word of a title company and that I shouldn't be calling his supervisor for help and that all of this was due to the Title company sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

We were grateful that the Title Co was involved because they were the ones that warned us that we wouldn't be closing that Friday, as promised, or the Monday after that Tom assured us would be fine. Not a single person from JG Wentworth has tried to contact us, to apologize, or attempt to refund us for the notary we paid for after being told it was covered. When I called to get help and to complain about Tom, not one person even attempted to say "I am so sorry" or to comfort or aid us with our issues at all.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I applied for a loan with JG Wentworth, I spoke to Jesse **. He told me that there would be two scenarios based on what the house appraised for. AFTER I received the lower appraisal, he tells me that I need to give them $6000 dollars (I was never told about this beforehand). So now I"m out $485 for the appraisal, thanks for nothing. Don't use these guys, especially not Jesse **.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Mike ** and Russell ** were fantastic. They answered all my questions and returned all my communication in a timely manner. I originally contacted Quicken Loans but was soon upset with there high pressure sales mythology and flood of phone calls that I immediately looked elsewhere. JG Wentworth had high reviews so I decided to contact them. No high pressure to commit and no flood of phone calls. I think I made the best decision to go with JG Wentworth. Plus JG Wentworth's closing cost were substantially less than Quicken Loans.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Jeremy was excellent and very patient from the start to the end. He was always available even on weekends. He guided us through the whole process as well as assisting us with appraisals and the closing. Everything went seamless.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I start to work on Refinance my home loan with Bruce **. He's a professional, responsible, quickly answer any my questions at any time. He helped me done with the first important step to get the application, condition loan...etc done. After that, I worked with Magali **. And she's professional too. Quick answer your questions, hardworking to make everything done on time. I highly recommend both Magali ** and Bruce ** in case you want to get your refinance home loan done. Thank you J.G Wentworth so much to help me save almost $100k in my home loan with lower rate, best in the market!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

We refinanced our home, the loan officer (Magali **) was very knowledgeable, responsive, thorough (provided all the needed details to compare between the different options). JG Wentworth had better rates than 5 other competitors. The rates went down after we locked, they respected their word and gave me the new low rate. Closing was also convenient near our home. Would do business with them again anytime.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

We went with JG Wentworth to refinance our home. We are so thankful that we did! Everyone we dealt with, especially Mike **, was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful throughout the entire process. We will definitely use them again for future needs and recommend them to everyone. Thank JG Wentworth Team!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Overall, I couldn't be happier about how my refi went. Closed on time. Terms were good. But most importantly, there was no hassle whatsoever due to working with Nicole **. From beginning to end, communication was top notch. And it wasn't just communication, there was ample transparency in terms of closing costs. Couldn't have asked for a better loan officer and will definitely recommend to others.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

The process took 2.5 months on a simple refi. We had to submit the paperwork multiple times because the website was all screwed up. They could not figure out how to get a digital signature working. We finally canceled when they did not honor the reduced rate after lock promise. Overall, the worst finance company I have ever dealt with and I have owned homes, lake property, vehicles of high value. Never ever again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Mor ** was more than helpful, always available, and very patient. He actually initiated my new loan, alerting me that I could get a lower interest rate, and could save money on the cost of the loan in the long run.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I found getting a mortgage with JG Wentworth to be one of the biggest mistake of my life. My home was already paid for (no mortgage), I really wanted a home equity loan however they said they only could offer me a new mortgage. I was reluctant to do this but went ahead because of the need to have money for needed home repairs. The loan officer I had Nick ** was quite bad. Whenever I had a question about something I had to send an email asking him to call me back. Sometimes it would be the next day before I would get a call back from him and that was with me calling him a 2nd time.

The process started in April and I did not get approved until late June. One hand in the company did not know what the other was doing. They also had misinformation that I had to correct on a number of occasions. Amounts were changed, Mr. ** would say he had informed me of information that he had not informed me about. I ended up submitting at least 50 items (if not more) of documentation before they finally approved the mortgage. To add insult to injury my first payment was due Aug. 1, 2019, prior to making my payment I get a letter in the mail saying JG Wentworth had sold my loan to another company. As of now I am in the middle of trying to find out where my additional principal payment is. Stay away from JG Wentworth unless you want to experience a nightmare similar to the one one I had. You don't need the headache and there are more reputable and competent companies out there. Just so sorry I went with them.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

For starters, my credit score is about 800, so you'd think an easy process, right? Well, where to begin? I was transferred loan officers in the middle of the process and given bad pricing on how many "points" were agreed to in a refinance. The closing disclosure came back wrong and created an even further delay. I have still yet to close, but am praying it happens in the next few days.

Oh... want to actually talk to someone? Well during the "sales" part of the process, they are SUPER helpful and warm and fuzzy. Once they have you in the process, they don't even bother to reach out. In the last 3 weeks, I have had to initiate every single discussion to understand what is going on and how they plan to fix my issues. Yet still I wait for response. If you still have time, run away as fast as humanly possible!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Mr. Jesse **, NMLS #**, was an excellent communicator and extremely thorough and prompt in his responses. His professionalism and ability to clarify items made us feel that we were being well served in the loan process. I would and will recommend him to my acquaintances. He is a great ambassador for J.G. Wentworth.

Gary and Joyce

Original review: July 31, 2019

Nicole is simply amazing. She helped us every step of the way with our refinancing. She is very knowledgeable, professional and kind. We are extremely pleased with her and highly recommend her. Nicole is top notch.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Jeremy ** is one of the best loan officers I've ever dealt with he kept me posted on the best possible interest rate. He was professional, personable, and did whatever he could to help assure a good experience. He was always available, and incredibly responsive to my questions. He made my refinance a good experience, even when faced with adversity. Highly recommended!

Original review: July 16, 2019

This is my 2nd refinance with Jesse and I couldn't be happier. He goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to putting your mind at ease and getting the job done. From the 1st day I contacted Jesse through closing, he was with me every step of the way making sure I knew what was happening and would quickly answer all questions I had. Great guy, best loan officer around!

Original review: July 16, 2019

I had an excellent experience refinancing my house with J.G. Wentworth Home Lending. My loan officer Jesse ** was amazing. He was very professional and patient. He was always available and ready to explain everything to me. Due to his hard work, I was able to close way ahead of time. Thank you Jesse, you're simply the best!

Original review: June 26, 2019

Nicole from JGW and located in the Dallas, Texas office was a joy to work with. Friendly, helpful, and kept me up to date on the progress of the loan. Also assisted w/ the e-doc signing. A GREAT employee.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Mor ** was great! Throughout the many steps of the refinancing process, Mor was always available “24/7” - explaining what needed to be done and also working “behind the scenes” to get things worked out whenever there were issues so that we could close in “record time” so that we could leave on our vacation with everything done! Thank you, Mor!!!

Original review: May 24, 2019

Mike - Mr. ** is extremely pleasant to work with, responding promptly to our questions, getting the necessary documents to us right away, and processing our completed documents timely. My wife and I highly recommend Mr. ** and we would do business with him again.

Freedom Mortgage Company Information