Formerly J.G. Wentworth Home Lending

4.2/5 (316 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Freedom Mortgage

Freedom Mortgage (NMLS #2767) is a full-service mortgage lender that offers home purchase and refinance loans. The company provides both conventional loans and government-backed loans, including FHA, VA and USDA loans. It lends across all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Freedom Mortgage has been in business for more than 30 years and is based in Boca Raton, Florida.

Pros

• Specializes in FHA and VA loans
  • Rate and closing guarantees
  • Sends savings alerts

Cons

• No construction loans

Bottom Line

Freedom Mortgage offers a variety of purchase and refinance loans. The company has over 30 years of experience and is a popular FHA, VA, USDA and conventional loan provider. It's available in all 50 states.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Freedom Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Mortgage?

Original review: May 9, 2019

Megan Offered to beat any competition pricing, ultimately after a month and a half of going back and forth requesting info day after day they denied the loan. What pissed me off was wasted time and losing the other offers I had from competitors. 780-800 credit 380k balance on 750k home. No debt and w2 income to pay off the loan if needed. Stick with real lenders like Quicken. They may charge a few more dollars but you won’t have to deal with incompetent underwriters.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I found Nicole ** through Lending Tree. I had multiple people email and phone me after my inquiry, however Nicole stood out in both her email and message. I screened the people and many sounded like they were brand new Loan officers or they were too aggressive. Nicole was very professional and I decided to give her a call, I am so glad I did. She has been very professional as well and personable, which I value higher! We had a few bumps along the way that were in no way her fault, she helped clear them as quickly as possible and made the refi experience extremely pleasant. You will not be disappointed if you choose to work with her!!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

Excellent experience. Just completed a refinance loan with Mor ** at J.G Wentworth, He made the whole loan process simple and explained every step along the way. He was always courteous and helpful, when we had question. And if he did not have the answer, he would find out for us in a timely manner. I would not hesitate to use J.G. Wentworth and Mor ** for future home loans.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I was contacted by Mor **, a senior loan advisor from J.G. Wentworth. Mor was very professional and understanding of my situation. He listened to my concerns and calmed me in my confusion of the loan process. He was excellent to work with.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Mike ** was wonderful from start to finish. He is so knowledgeable and made the process very easy. I appreciated how respectful he was of my time and how he explained everything to me in a way that was easy to understand. I would recommend him to anyone!

Original review: May 3, 2019

I wanted to use my VA loan and went to LendingTree to get companies that would work with me on this. I was impressed with a couple of them but in the end settled on using JG Wentworth. Worked with Omar. Polite man. Not the best at getting back to you in a timely manner but that's ok. I am not the best at it either. Did not really listen to what I was stating about past financial challenges and that came to roost when the title company did a title search. Even though this was a refi, no plans on selling, been living in the same house for 15+ years, they wanted me to pay off an item on my wife's CR. Doing my research and talking to 1 other title company, they will often do title insurance exception on one item.

Long story short, they would not. I cancelled the loan as it seemed to be a waste of money and time. It was a want not a need to do this so it is ok. Here is the kicker. You have to pay UP FRONT for a appraisal, you cancel the loan no refund. Even though I had cancelled the loan and deleted the information, my insurance company got a request from JG Wentworth and CHANGED my mortgagee information. If I had not read the email I would have been screwed. Never signed any paperwork to actually get the loan, put a stop on my loan application (in writing) and they still changed the insurance without my approval. In my opinion JG is only in it for the money, could care less about the person and may be one of the most unorganized companies I have dealt with in a very long time. Just be careful and double check on everything.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I got a home loan through JG Wentworth. I worked with Jesse ** to get this completed. The process was very easy and he was extremely quick to pick up the phone any time I called. Jesse had every answer that I needed through the whole process. I am very pleased with Jesse's performance.

Original review: April 28, 2019

We had an awesome experience with Magali ** at J.G. Wentworth. She was truthful and let you know upfront if she was able to beat a competitor's interest rate. No time was wasted, no circles ran. Yes, we turned in a lot of documents, but she was by her phone every step even on weekends. Even when I felt my realtor was not truthful I would call Magali to ask if she has heard of such thing. Not her field, but she was able to put us in the right direction. If you decide on J.G. Wentworth, I recommend Magali, such a hard worker, which gives the company a good name. Thanks again Magali **.

Original review: April 25, 2019

We were pre approved. Started in March of this year 2019. We gave whatever was requested. Here we are April 22, 2019 and we end up with Ms. Jennifer **. Not friendly at all. She would send out an email around 4-5 pm when the day is almost over of things needed. Every day I mean every day it was something else needed. Adam was too friendly either with him. I felt like I was in an interrogation room. Well to make a long story short they denied my loan. Which in reality did us a favor. We have someone else and we are in the closing zone after applying only 3 days ago. At first they were really friendly and accommodating EXCEPT Jennifer **. Very unprofessional.

Original review: April 24, 2019

During this home mortgage re-financing my account was handled by Mr. Jesse **. Mr. ** handled the account process with professionalism, thoroughness and efficiency. If I had questions during the process Mr. ** was usually available to assist me but on the rare occasion he wasn't he returned my call within 5 minutes. Any questions I had were answered by Mr. ** immediately without any of the "Let me find out and I'll call you back" which is common with other companies. Jesse is a knowledgeable and personable agent and a credit to the company. Thank you. Charles

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have nothing but good experience in dealing with loan officer Ms. Magali **. She is professional, knowledgeable, and very helpful in solving of the clients' problems to their satisfaction. She is always ready to answer her phone promptly, and follow up on her suggestions. She is dedicated to her customers and tries to help them achieve their goals. I will be more than happy to recommend her to my friends and family members for their financing needs.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Throughout the loan process from beginning to end Nicole was a complete pleasure to work with. Extremely responsive and professional. She did an excellent job coordinating all of the inquiries and responded immediately whether late at night or on the weekends. While I do not plan on refinancing anytime soon, I will definitely be recommending her and J.G. Wentworth to friends and family that may have need of their services. Could not have been more pleased with Nicole!

Original review: April 22, 2019

Had top-notch assistance from Magali ** (Senior Loan Officer) from Plano, Texas. From the initial application stage up to the final closing, she was efficient, knowledgeable and resourceful. During the latter stages in the process when I was getting ready to give up, she kept her cool and provided solutions. Most of all, her honesty is what I appreciated most. Thanks likewise to Corey ** (Senior Loan Processor) for facilitating this. I definitely will recommend your firm to family and friends.

Original review: April 20, 2019

The experience buying my current home was filled with several ups and downs. Dealing with some of the companies along the way were nothing short of painful. JGW and the gentleman processing my loan, Mike **, were the only thing that was essentially stress free. One thing I really appreciated was having Mike's number so that when I needed help, I could get ahold of him easily. Prior to JGW, I used a loan company that all calls were routed through an automated process. When the call finally got answered, you were at the mercy and experience of whoever picked up the call. The personalized service and expert treatment of Mike and his team made this a positive experience and I would recommend JG Wentworth to anyone.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have received the best service from Mor and the team at J.G. Wentworth. I've refinanced many times over the years with different companies so I know what the experience is. The personal connection, attention to detail, and speedy processing made this refinance truly exceptional.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Nicole was a pleasure to work with. Responsive, thorough, professional. From the initial estimate to closing, Nicole got us a very competitive rate and was patient with our endless questions. She was also careful to coordinate with all parties from brokers to title companies and never left us feeling uneasy or mislead. If you need a mortgage, Nicole is the person to help you.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I worked with Mike ** for the refinance of my home. He was extremely helpful and timely through the whole process. The website for uploading documents made it easy as well. Thank you for such a great experience.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I work a lot so my wife called J.G. and spoke to (Mark). Everything seemed okay until the conversation moved towards recasting the loan after we received it. They said the loan would have to be 100k and we could give back 60k and recast bringing our monthly payment from 500$ to 200$ a month. We then ask if we could get the recast in print, electronically or otherwise, as part of the contract and then (Mark) became quite hostile. He said, "No one does that, in our research we found that some companies will do that but they might charge a fee, or not."

(Mark) called my wife the next day (4/2/19) and told her he could put it in writing but he doesn't want to because she's too (WISHY WASHY) and on the fence. (MARK) then hung up on my wife. PERSONALLY! I COULD NOT TRUST A PERSON OR COMPANY THAT COULD NOT PUT SOMETHING SO SIMPLE IN THE CONTRACT. SO SIMPLE! Called Wells Fargo, 3.75 equity line loan. Talked to Samir, could Christian man. God works in mysterious ways????

Original review: April 2, 2019

I just completed a refinance with Mike **. Mike was professional and courteous at all times whether speaking over the phone or via email. Everything went very smooth from start to finish without me even having to leave my own home or travel anywhere to sign/deliver documents. I would definitely use Mike ** and JG wentworth in the future.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I recently had the pleasure of working with Jesse ** to refinance my condo. From the first day to closing Jesse kept me in the loop. We had a few few stumbling blocks but, Jesse was very persistent to make sure that I had the refinancing that worked for me. I am very happy with the whole process. Great job Jesse and happy to be a JGW customer.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I just wanted to say that Jesse ** was a huge help to us in our first home purchase. I had already been in contact with another lender and was not having a good experience when I applied with JG. When Jesse responded to the application he was super easy to work with and answered all our questions and was totally transparent in how the process worked. Jesse stayed on top of everything and always communicated with us to let us know what was needed and what was happening next. I'd definitely recommend JG to a friend after our experience!

Original review: March 21, 2019

Jesse went out of his way to help me understand the entire loan process from start to finish. He actively reached out to keep the loan process moving while addressing my skepticism and concerns, and instilling confidence. He spent many hours working with me and guiding me through every step. He explained all of my options and helped me to make an educated decision on the loan terms. By working with Jesse and JG Wentworth, I saved thousands of dollars compared to local lending institutions. Jesse always acted professionally and courteously. I would definitely recommend anyone to work directly with Jesse.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Wilson ** did a good job with the application process and getting a good rate. The wheels fell off as soon as our file was handed off to Caroline ** for document processing. She immediately asked us for a ton of documents, most of which we had already submitted as part of the applications process. She didn't review any of the existing material. We had to constantly badger her to make any progress on the file. Ultimately, she didn't even begin to arrange for an appraisal until 3 days before the scheduled closing date (which they knew about for 8 weeks). We missed our closing date. JGW gave us some credits to compensate for our troubles but I would have rather had a competent document processor.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I worked with Magali ** of J.G. Wentworth recently while shopping for a new house loan. She was excellent to work with and I am writing a review even though I decided to go with a different lender for my loan, for reasons out of her control. But, my experience was good enough that I would recommend her to friends and family in the future and to write a review: Magali was courteous, professional, responsive, helpful, knowledgeable and treated me with respect and integrity. She spent time going over multiple options for my loan, and gave open and honest information and feedback on the terms and limits of each loan.

She actually had the best rate for the 30 yr fixed Jumbo loan which I ended up with, but let me know that closing usually required up to 45 days with this particular underwriter who offered the best rate. She could have kept me strung along to get my business and potentially left me in a bad state if the loan couldn't close in time, but she did not. I was not able to extend my closing date with the seller, which is why I had to take another loan from a local broker. So you will not be disappointed in working with her!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have no complaints, Mr.Walter ** was very professional. The process was very easy, Mr. ** explained everything step by step. When we had questions he explained everything to the fullest. Whenever I called and left messages he always returned my calls. Thank you Mr. ** for help, kindness and understanding.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Walter was very easy to work with, and he was not pushy like many other lenders we spoke with. He responded quickly to questions, and made sure to let us know about an affiliation with Costco, that allowed us to get a lower rate with our Costco membership.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I had to constantly ask for updates, go weeks and all I hear was crickets. I was told several times I was clear to close and at the final hour kept coming up with new BS. The final straw, got an email that I was clear to close Thursday morning, got a call from the closing attorney, then an hour later Loan officer called me saying they could not verify my income! What, why the heck did you clear me to close. Horrible experience over the last three months and now I have to start all over again. Untrustworthy and no communication to the borrower. I would not recommend.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I recently purchased a house and had J.G. Wentworth handle my mortgage. The reason I did this was I previously refinanced and Jesse ** did such an exceptional job with it that when I decided on this purchase I knew exactly who to call. Jesse is professional at all times and is really attentive to detail. Always there for help no matter the time of day. He's a real asset to your company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Spent two months and 600$ of my own money on things that were needed so we could close the loan. I did everything and supplied everything they needed. Ted my original loan officer was fantastic and was there whenever I had time even Sunday nights.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

After extensive research I had narrowed my list to two companies. The loan officer I was working with was friendly and helpful. I was upfront about getting quotes from more than one company. In the end I chose another company and the following day I received a call from J G Wentworth's retention department. The man I spoke with was aggressive, rude and would not take "no" for an answer. I had picked two good companies and could have easily gone back to them had I not been disrespected. He seemed taken aback when I suggested they switch their sales tactics and give the customer their best quote from the beginning. He was unprofessional in the derogatory way he spoke about the other company. Once I started to disagree with him and expressed that I felt he was being aggressive, he quit listening to my attempts to improve their customer service. He then hung up on me.

Freedom Mortgage Company Information