1.66/5
Based on 44 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

St. Louis, MO

Last updated: May 15, 2018

45 Gateway Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 15, 2018

I've never experienced a company that makes it so difficult to give them money, and when you can get logged in you'll be charged a service fee to make your payment. I think these folks are a bunch a crooks. I didn't choose this lender as my original lender sold my mortgage to them. I'm hoping Gateway sells this note or I sell my house to get away from them.

Original review: May 7, 2018

These people have totally wrecked what was working perfectly fine. Now it is impossible to log in without contacting the unhelpful representatives. So labor intensive just to pay a stupid bill. So mismanaged! And this guy wants to be governor? Right.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have tried unsuccessfully for three days to log onto the Gateway system. I keep getting an error message that just says "try again" with no clue of what is incorrect. I finally called customer service today and after waiting on hold for 10 minutes while one recorded message interrupted another almost constantly spoke with a customer service representative. She said the system had been changed on March 20 and I needed to register again. I did that and got the same message. I shortened and weakened the password I wanted to use because the Gateway system does not allow any special character. I tried four times while I was on the phone with the woman.

I asked if there was someone I could talk to for technical support. The answer was "no". Gateway claims to "win customers for life". I regret the day I took out my mortgage with them 3 years ago -- the example today is just one more in a string -- a long string -- of examples of the reality that all Gateway cares about is Gateway and their customer service does not serve the customer. If it did not mean thousands of dollars in closing costs I would change mortgage lenders in a heartbeat. If you have not signed up with them yet my advise is to RUN as fast as you can to some other lender.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have asked them and asked them to stop bothering me... Random phone calls to "check in". They even felt it necessary to send me a birth announcement when the local manager had a kid. They arbitrarily raised my escrow only to adjust it back and the whole loan process was a real pain. You will be much better served by ANYONE else.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

This is not a reputable company. Check the reviews. They said they could do a deal and couldn't. I would strongly recommend against doing any business with them. I sure wouldn't vote for their CEO of for the next Oklahoma governor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway Mortgage?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I bought a home for me, my new wife, and son to move into after our marriage. We used Gateway because our realtor referred us to them. Hindsight being 20/20 we should have shopped around. It would have saved us money, or put us in a much nicer home. Gateway pressured us into closing so that we wouldn't shop around and discover that we could have gotten a lower rate. We bought the home 6 months ago, and for a monthly payment at the top side of our budget. We just received the statement for our taxes and discovered that our house payment is going up $350 a month! Taxes are going up $150 and escrow is going up $200. Their miscalculations may very well put me and my family out of our home.

We have to decide whether we are going to allow our house payment to go up to $1400 a month, which we cannot afford, or we can use the money we have been saving to send our son to a private school to pay off the escrow in full and still have our monthly payment go up $150 a month. Refinancing is not an option because we don't have the $4000 required for closing costs. Mind you, this isn't a nice home. It is in a bad part of town, and is over 70 years old. If we could have afforded a $1400 a month house payment, we certainly would have got a house in a much nicer part of town. We are extremely dissatisfied with Gateway and would discourage anyone from doing business with them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My wife and I used Gateway Mortgage for our home loan at the recommendation of our realtor. The Gateway team worked fast and hard for the majority of the process, but made a critical mistake at the end of the process that was very costly to our family. From the earliest moments in the home buying process, Gateway Mortgage set our closing date for Friday, August 11th, which was reflected on all documentation sent by and to Gateway Mortgage Company. On August 9, my realtor called me to inform me that the closing date had been postponed, and that we would not be closing for another 4 days. According to the contract and terms, this was an acceptable move by Gateway Mortgage and they were well within their legal right to do this. While this move was personally annoying, it was not illegal.

However, at the closing, Gateway Mortgage representative Chris ** informed us that his mortgage group had known about the need to move the closing date as early as August 4th. Further, my wife received a voicemail from Gateway Mortgage representative Josh ** on August 8th saying that we were "looking good" to close on schedule. Obviously, this seems like a curious thing to say when the mortgage company was well aware that the closing was being shifted to the following week. By waiting until August 9th - just 36 hours before I was set to move across the country - to inform me that the closing date had been moved, the following financial consequences occurred:

1) My wife and I had no place to live between August 11th and the new closing date of August 15th, as tenants had been lined up to move into our house on August 11th. As a result, my wife and I had to stay at an AirBNB for 4 nights. We incurred a cost of $581.82 for this.

2) Our moving truck was scheduled to be picked up on August 9th. By the time I found out our closing date had been moved, it was too late to cancel the truck. If I had been told about the closing date being moved when Gateway Mortgage had been made aware, then I could have postponed the rental. Instead of the 3-day rental as planned, I needed the truck for 7 days. The cost of this was $517.22.

3) One of our movers had to cancel a longstanding flight and re-schedule a new flight. Instead of a one-way advance ticket of $80.60, he had to pay a round-trip ticket costing $674.40. The difference between these two tickets is $593.80. The kicker to all of this was when we were asked by Mr. ** at our closing, "do you feel everything went smoothly?" I remember asking him, "are you serious?" And he seemed shocked that I would say my experience with Gateway was a negative one. Gateway Mortgage cost us $1692.84 all because they did not pick up the phone on Friday, August 4th to inform us that our closing date had been moved. Instead, they waited 5 full days to inform me that the closing date had to be moved. They left my wife and I essentially homeless: All of our belongings stuffed into a truck and living at an AirBnB.

Gateway never seemed to even appreciate the unnecessary anxiety they put on me and my family. I contacted Gateway's customer service team asking for partial reimbursement of the financial losses their miscommunication caused, and they refused to even consider giving us a cent because it was against "Gateway policy" because they were not directly responsible for the closing date being moved.

I would never recommend Gateway to anyone. It is true that they were not directly responsible for moving the closing date, but they were directly responsible for failing to inform me that the date had been moved when they became aware of it, and they were directly responsible for calling us literally 3 days before the original closing date and telling us that we were ready to close on time, even though they knew full well that the date had been moved already. At the time of our house hunting, they had the best rates, but those rates are meaningless now that they cost us nearly $1700 and tons of stress.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Gateway approved us 2 different times for loans and they were kicked out in underwriting after we paid $10,000 in earnest money fees, appraisals, and surveys. Our situation was unique and hard to work with due to a recent career change. Gateway was overconfident that they could deliver. The reasons for our denial were understandable due to the career change but it was basic information that we had provided and discussed various times over the course of 5 months. It could have and should have been avoided. Our file should not have made it past the first phone call. It does not take underwriting to figure that out. They got greedy and tried pushing not one but two loans through and gave us advice that led to a loss of $10000. We are seasoned home buyers and our only reason for using Gateway was because we were referred to them.

After I submitted our first formal complaint to address the situation, I lost access to the secure email server that I had corresponded with Gateway on. I asked for access to the emails multiple times and their first response was "IT failure." The next response was that Gateway concluded their investigation and would not allow me access to the emails because it was confidential to their server. I asked for email access to verify the accuracy in facts regarding my complaint and their response. They finally sent me a check for $425 to make up for the $10k loss. That was pretty much a slap in the face. We never expected a full refund but did expect Gateway to act in their customers’ best interest.

On a personal note, both loan officers were extremely arrogant and rude. One of them worked harder and was significantly nicer and more professional than the other. Both our realtor and contractor refused to work with the loan officers due to their degrading language, lack of response, and unprofessionalism. We had lunch with one of the loan officers one day that was extremely disrespectful to the waitress. He also felt the need to talk badly about his wife to me during phone calls on a consistent basis. If I could give zero stars, I would. We have worked with multiple lenders in the past and never had a single issue. I am blown away that they can sleep at night after our experience.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I applied for a Mortgage with Gateway Mortgage in May of 2017. I did exactly what they asked me to do...bring in paperwork, pay down credit cards and pay other bills off. The appraisal was done in September. Clarke at Gateway Mortgage calls me on October 24, 2017 and says that our car notes are too high and I needed to refinance my car. I told him I financed it at 4% when I bought the car last year. So I called State Farm and tried to refinance my vehicle. They approved it at the same interest rate. Clarke at Gateway Mortgage has not returned my calls. He’s very unprofessional and this company is a broke joke. They have wasted six months of our time!!! Don’t go to Gateway Mortgage...you will waste your time!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Applied for a HardShip 3 times to get monthly payments lower - Me and my husband was lied to and asked to provide all kind of silly information. Were lied to by Shannon ** and Laurel **. Then was told, "Oh yes your file is looking good." But every week they kept coming back saying we need more information until we just got tired of the song and dance.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My husband and I purchased our first home recently. We work on the road but Tennessee is our "home". Our realtor suggested using Gateway so we decided to switch mortgage companies. Luke ** said he could have a faster turnaround with better rates. After a month of having all our information everyone was ready to move forward to closing. We scheduled time off for the closing. I asked Luke if he needed anything else for closing, he replied no. That following week we found out Luke never received a VOE from one of our companies we worked for, and it pushed our closing to a different week derailing all plans. We never heard from Luke after that. We did not know that when we closed, they expected to do a wire transfer. Our bank did not have a branch in Tennessee. We had to drive 3 and a half hours into Kentucky to complete our end of the closing, then drive back. We had just drove 641 miles to Tennessee from PA.

This could have been avoided if we had a heads up before. We could have started the wire before driving down and finished everything over the phone! We are so thrilled with our home, but Luke was unorganized and unprofessional. He took so much joy out of this experience, such a disappointment. If we could have, I would have went with someone different!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

A couple of days ago I got a letter from Gateway saying that my insurance on the property I have mortgaged with them was expired and that they would take action to force me to use their internal mortgage insurance plan unless I did something immediately. I called my non-Gateway homeowner's insurance company and found that the insurance had expired on September 12 and that the new policy became in force on September 13. I asked how much insurance the policy provided and what the annual premium was. They provided the information. I next went to the Gateway letter and found that they wanted to provide me with $60,000 less insurance and charge me $600 per year more than my current carrier. What a deal! NOT.

I have had my Gateway mortgage for a little over 2 years and hated it almost from the first day. Their tag-line when you call in is "We win customers for life". The only way they will have me as a customer for life is if I suddenly drop dead! If the closing costs for switching to another mortgage company would not wipe out everything I have paid to Gateway I would switch in a heartbeat. Caveat emptor - Gateway sucks.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Gateway is trying to tell me how and when to make my payments; it's now policy that it's FREE to pay online when recurring payment is set-up, but now if you want to pay from your checking account when you want, you have to pay a service charge. I didn't get a chance to choose Gateway Mortgage Group because the loan was sold. I don't want them to make any more money off of me if they are going to treat us like **. Maybe it is time to refinance the loan just to get rid of them? Seriously squeezing money out of us as much they can, as if the hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest isn't enough. We have to pay, to pay.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Their telemarketers argue with you over the phone and ask if I've signed papers with another refinance customer. I was called last week and last month, I was called multiple times asked to be removed politely from their calling list and that I'm already done refinancing my home. 3 times today 9/8/17 I've been called and talked to a supervisor who hung up on me.

After I told him I'm fairly certain it's against the law to continually call someone after they've verbally told you to be removed from their list multiple times, he told me their system takes 24 to 48 hours to be removed. Then why have I continually been harassed since last month, last week and 3 times today?!?! I'm getting close to the point of litigation, taking time out of my day to tell them to stop calling me, this is getting ridiculous, use someone else to refinance your home, these people do not care what you tell them, even the supervisor was rude. I am in the sales business and when someone tells you to stop calling them you stop calling them as simple as that.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Was a horrible experience trying to get a loan in the first place. Now all of a sudden over two years later they want to charge a fee for me to make my house payment by automated phone service. I have been doing this for at least a year and no fee until just this month. So, I went online to see about making a payment and agreeing to the terms says there is a fee to pay online too!! I could not find what the fee was going to be so I did not do that either. That's bad business! Never have paid a fee for any internet payments with any other companies. Snail mail is the choice now, Charging a fee to make an on-time house payment. Awful. Cannot recommend this company.

Original review: July 12, 2017

It is absolutely poor conducting of business. No ethics at all. We were supposed to be close on 23rd June, got extended to 29th June and then to July 10th. Finally on July 12th, we get a confirmation that the loan is declined. I lost All my earnest money and the cost for inspection and the appraisal. Nothing was delivered to us on time. This location of Office is in Frisco. Al ** and his manager Michael **, wouldn't respond to our calls (Sellers, Buyers, Agents) on the day we were supposed to close. It is very stressful situation. I wouldn't want anyone to go through this ordeal. Finally we lost the house that we wanted, and also lost the earnest money in the process. My friends and family already are aware not to do business with this company. I would advise if you want to close a house and not lose everything in the process, don't go with them. Any follow up would take a minimum of 10 calls for them to respond to us.

Original review: June 12, 2017

Do NOT use this company no matter what you do. We spoke with Shayne ** and he made us and our realtor multiple promises about getting me approved. Sent her the paperwork and everything and then when it came down to closing all he told us and the realtor was LIES!! Then when I called him out on it he says and I quote "I have been very patient with y'all but it's just not going to work out between us." REALLY cause the whole time you lied and made promises you couldn't keep!!! So not professional. Save yourself, time and heartache!! Think he got mad cause we had to contact him on a Saturday. It's ok, I will take my money elsewhere!!

Original review: June 1, 2017

Do not make the mistake that my husband and I made to go with Eric and Gabriel (Gabe) at Gateway Mortgage Group in Maitland, FL to be your loan originators. To begin, let me say that Gabriel is Eric’s assistant and does absolutely everything for Eric. I only spoke with Eric once during this process. He emailed me about my credit situation. I never heard a response from him after that so we dealt with Gabriel during our pre-approval process. My husband and I submitted our loan application on February 27th. A lot happened shortly after that with Gabriel saying that he could not pre-approve us due to my lack of credit and credit lines.

We went back and forth with Gabriel from February 27th until April 28th with having them look into all other possibilities (like having someone co-sign on the loan). During this time, Gabriel went back and forth with telling us that he was 100% confident that he could pre-approve us and then the next day saying that unfortunately, he could not pre-approve us. This entire process took an extremely long due time due to Eric and Gabriel’s lackadaisical attitude towards doing their job in a timely manner. Every time that I reached out to Gabriel via phone call or email, it would take him at least 8 days to respond to me. He would always say “I will call you tomorrow” or “I will email you back tomorrow with an update”, and he would never do that. He would give some excuse as to why it took him so long to respond about half the time but we know that it boils down to that he just does not have a passion and drive to help his clients like he should.

Finally, on May 4th, Gabriel called me and said that we were officially pre-approved. He said that we could begin to look at houses and that he would send the pre-qualification letter to us and our realtor. My husband and I immediately began to seriously consider some houses and we had our realtor set up some showings for us. We fell in love with a few houses and put an offer in on some houses. Gabriel told me that we would need to meet with Eric to discuss the difference between a FHA and conventional mortgage. Out of nowhere, Gabriel emailed me on May 12th and said that there was a problem with an unknown loan on my husband’s credit report. I immediately responded to his email about both situations – the meeting with Eric and the unknown loan. He never responded to my emails and phone calls about both situations until May 30th.

Most recently, we put an offer in on a house May 27th. We were over the moon excited because it fit all of our criteria. Our realtor even worked while he was on vacation to get the offer paperwork ready and submit the offer for us. Shortly after this, our realtor started asking us about our pre-qualification letter and if we had it. I told him that we did not have it as Eric and Gabriel did not send it to us yet. I immediately started calling and emailing Gabriel to have him send us the pre-qualification letter. Gabriel emailed me back on May 30th and said that he would have the pre-qualification letter to us that day. Spoiler Alert: Gabriel never sent us the pre-qualification letter. Period. I tried to remain hopeful but I knew that the seller’s realtor was not going to wait around for our pre-qualification letter. I knew that they would accept another offer from a buyer who had all of their paperwork together.

After repeatedly emailing and calling Gabriel to leave desperate messages for him, the house finally sold on May 31st – and it was not to us. My worst fear, of having it sold to someone else due to our lack of completed paperwork – became true. This is the event that finally helped me to make the decision to wave my white flag and start looking for another mortgage company. I am now looking for a mortgage company that will be there for me at all times and who will be prompt in getting things done.

Throughout the entire process from February 27th to May 31st, I had to continually remind Gabriel to do his job. I am writing this on June 1st and I still do not have the pre-qualification letter from him. I had to threaten him that we were going to switch to a different company to get him to respond to me. I had to beg him and plead with him to continue working on our paperwork. Whenever I would talk with him over the phone, he would always joke around with me and use curse words. He does not have a professional attitude or outlook towards his job. Please do not waste your time, energy, and mental health on these two men – Eric and Gabriel. It is just not worth it.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Working with them for refinance for 3 weeks. They asked for all documents, they keep saying everything go as plan. They ask for appraisal, HOA pay in full. I did all they ask and 5 days before closing they sent me letter say I am not approved??? And my credit score is 800, high income and they say they can not approved? Call them twice, did not answer or call back, sound familiar? Do not use them or you will regret with stressful situation.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Gateway Mortgage in Hammond, Louisiana office of Pat ** has put the whole act of sale for three families in the worse situation I have ever seen, when trying to close on a home by closing date. We going on our 3rd extension because she is deliberately acting like a 3 year old. She will not return emails or phone calls from the customer, real estate agent, and closing company for the other two families. After getting annoyed with the people involved, because she would not answer the phone to give simple updates on the status, she got mad and said, "I'll send the paper when I'm ready"! That attitude is costing everyone involved a lot of money that could have been avoided, hence her deliberate attitude!! In a case like this, with this being able to close the deal, the lender should have their fees deducted and any cost that the homeowners are accumulating from her deliberate behavior, deducted from her personal profits off the deal.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I have never had such a bad experience with a mortgage company ever. After being APPROVED by their underwriting department, Gateway Mortgage calling our insurance office and advising them to add Gateway to our homeowner's policy and having us paying for an appraisal order by them. We were told that they could not fund the loan (not going into details) BUT it should have been caught by their underwriting department. The Mansfield, Ohio location refuses to refund the appraisal fee and we now have to wait 4 month. This company has NO clue how to advise customers in the refinancing department or assist in anyway!!!

Original review: March 20, 2017

Me and my wife are first time home buyers and contacted Gateway Mortgage on the advice of our real estate. We worked with Raegan ** and she held our hands through the entire process. Any questions we asked were answered and she went above and beyond to help. Would recommend Raegan and Gateway to anyone in the home buying process.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

Day is 01/28/17. I was trying to get a pre-approval letter to go home shopping, and I told James **, from Gateway Mortgage that I didn't want my credit pulled, because I will send him a credit report that was already pulled, because my credit was below 640, and he said it was fine, but for him to get him going I had to go thru the application process, so he can have a commitment from me, so he wouldn't waste his time either, I said fine. So, I went to the website, and filled up the app, the next day, to my surprise, he pulled my credit, and they had the audacity to tell me by email, that on 01/31/17, the company will no longer honor any credit score under 640, unless they have an accepted signed contract. How in the world will I get that done in 3 days? He didn't have the guts to tell me that from the beginning. Now my credit is lower. This is just to get people in and then ** them up. Beware of the company. Is a scam.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

My wife and first stepped foot into a gateway mortgage office in Killeen TX, about 2 years ago. We sat down with Deborah ** and she explained to us why we just didn't quite qualify at that point to be able to get a mortgage at that time. She also told us areas we need to work on and ways to get ourselves to the point of being able to buy our first house. We walked back into her office 9 months ago after doing everything she had told us to do. SURPRISE!!! We qualified. Not just for any home, she sent us to talk to a realtor who works with a home builder. We not only qualified for a home but we ourselves into the home of our dreams after years of trying and failing. The staff at Gateway explained the credit process and the do's and dont's of it so we were able to achieve our goal and finally own our own home. Thanks Gateway Mortgage.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

The worst experience ever, very unprofessional! Do not do business with them! Started the process in the end of Sept. Was pressured to do an appraisal for $800 because they couldn't find anyone to do it sooner and we needed to meet deadlines or else according to the person handling my file I would be penalized. Then I didn't receive any calls or emails. So I call and someone else was handling my file. His name is David ** and he is suppose to be the manager. On one occasion he spoke to me very rude. He never answers the phone, returns calls nor emails. We are now at the end of Dec and still we never closed on our loan. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

Choosing this company for a home mortgage was a horrible experience. After running my credit (which I have excellent) and submitting all personal documents (social security, driver's license, bank statements, taxes documents and pay stubs) these two above subjects sent my an pre-approval letter with a $125,000 limit. Two weeks later they sent to my realtor another pre-approval letter with a $175,000 limit.

Two weeks later they told another real estate agent that I don't qualify for a mortgage. They said I never sent documentation and that all the pre-approval letters were based on verbal information I gave them. They lied. I sent all the documentation they requested on time by email. I spent my time and my broker's time scheduling and visiting prospects homes several weeks. And suddenly they just come up with these findings that I do not qualify for a mortgage.

Both Gabriel Gabe ** and Eric ** are not professional, they do not answer calls, they do not return calls and they are not organized in their work. They lack professionalism and customer service skills. They are not honest with people that are trying to fulfill the American dream. They seem to like the easy commissions and focus more in easy prospects.

I do not recommend this company, neither these two subjects. Remember their names: Gabriel ** alias Gabe and Eric **. Choose another mortgage company. You do not want to go through all the hassle of poor quality service and then be denied. BEWARE OF THESE PEOPLE!!! IF YOU CHOOSE THEM, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

I was contacted by Gateway Mortgage for refinancing of home. The loan originator was **, Gateway Mortgage Group LLC 3011 Internet Blvd. Suite 108, Frisco, TX 75034. After docusigning online forms, he did not lock my rate. When I sent email asking for loan processing status he sent me new rates which where higher than agreed. I contacted his manager ** 3011 Internet Blvd. Suite 108 Frisco, Texas 75034 to resolve the issue. He worse than loan originator. I cancelled refinancing, got withdrawal letter. Preceding week in my online account I see a transaction for my appraisal for $425. I am receiving it when I closed all the loan processing with Gateway Mortgage. Please don't share your bank account details to them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

When I first heard about Gateway I was happy they had a office by my city. I contacted them and a girl named Amber ** started helping me on getting a fha loan. I told her about me not having any credit score but I did find out though fha there was a loan type for me. She said "you are right." I did everything this girl asked me to do on down to keeping a amount of money in my account to making sure she knew every dollar I had in saving. Took a few months of me getting off from work to get paperwork even my days off... At first everything went great. The last time I saw her at her office me and my family were there with her. She said right in front of us... "Everything looks great. All you all need to do is look for a house." I said ok so we got the loan. She said "Yes. I am going to touch base with your Realtor agent and tell him what amount of a home you get so he can set up homes you can look at..." GREAT RIGHT. WRONG.

We looked at a few. She would call him and me ask how things were going and then we found one... I told her we found one and the price was about 10,000 over but I would just pay that cash... She said that a 90,000 dollar home with a 3% downpayment plus closing costs and fees would run me almost 30,000 dollars. It didn't add up to what she told me at first... Do the math guys... Really, so then I found one that was in the range and need to be said "Yes, I have enough to put down." 20% down on a 90,000 dollar home. But after texting her I said I found she replied "Great. Where is it at and how much", I told her... then she texted back asking me what is the address. I told her... then she calls me telling me and get this...

5 mos. later all my days off dealing with her and looking for one. Kids excited about getting a home that she said we were getting... To "I AM SORRY TO TELL you we can't finance the 90,000." I said "ok, then 80,000," she said... "NO. NOT THAT EITHER. WE CAN'T FINANCE YOU AT ALL, BUT I CAN HELP YOU FIND SOMEONE ELSE THAT CAN..." My real estate agent said he would never recommend her or the company for that matter... Amber ** with Gateway is a liar and anybody with a company who starts out lying like that has to be a piss poor company... I told my bank what happened... They are now watching my money not by my choice but my bank's...

Original review: July 10, 2016

Gateway is by far the greatest mortgage company there is. I am a realtor and I work with several mortgage companies. This is the best there is. Closing, refinancing, customer service. I have had several experiences with several mortgage companies that will foreclose in the middle of a sale. Not Gateway. They will continue by your side the whole challenging experience. Their rates are usually the best also. They do not sell their loans. I can continue and continue but there is not a mortgage company as good as Gateway.

Original review: May 19, 2016

Our experience with purchase and closing was fine. It has been the last 4+ years as things have come up and I needed to call customer service that I have learned how terrible this company is with handling their customers. First, if you can get customer service that is half the battle. They have a recording that tells you they are in a meeting, and they have a lot of meetings. Second, once you find the right department or person to speak with, they NEVER answer. They also NEVER call you back when you leave a voicemail. So one might think, email might be a great form of communicating with these Gateway people since they are so busy on the phone with other customers or in all those meetings, NO. They will also NEVER email you back. SO if you are looking for a lender, look elsewhere and if you too are a Gateway customer like myself... I'm sorry.

Gateway Mortgage Company Information