Little Rock, AR

4.0/5 (164 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates
Author picture
Written by Jennifer Schurman
Edited by Sally Jones

About Arvest Central Mortgage Company

Arvest Central Mortgage Company (NMLS #186891) is a subsidiary of Arvest Bank, a community-based financial institution serving Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. The company, based in Little Rock, Arkansas, offers home and refinance loans, including conventional, FHA, VA, USDA and jumbo loans. It lends in all states except Delaware, Maryland, New Hampshire, New York and Rhode Island and services 99% of the loans it originates.

Pros

• Competitive rates
  • Services 99% of its mortgages
  • Useful mobile app

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • No rate quote without completing an application

Bottom Line

Arvest Central Mortgage Company provides purchase and refinance mortgages in 45 states. It has branches in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma, but you can apply entirely online. In addition to offering a variety of loan types, it services nearly every one of its loans, so you don’t have to worry about a service transfer.

Top Arvest Central Mortgage Company Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Our experience with Arvest Central was one of the first we had in town. … The mortgage representative was friendly and helpful. It's been over four years now, and she still sends ...

Verified

I've never had a problem with Arvest Central Mortgage. I've been with them for about 15 years with no issues. I'm in the process of refinancing now and they have been nothing but ...

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Rates

Arvest Central Mortgage Company publishes its mortgage rates for 15- and 30-year conventional loans, 30-year FHA loans and 30-year VA loans on its website. These rates assume a loan amount of $175,000, loan-to-value ratio under a specific percentage and a credit score of at least 720 for conventional loans and 700 for FHA and VA loans.

Arvest Central Mortgage Company offers both fixed-rate mortgages and adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs). ARMs generally offer a low introductory rate for a set period of time (typically three to seven years). After that, the rate can change annually based on market conditions. The low introductory rates can be enticing to some borrowers, while others prefer a fixed interest rate with predictable monthly payments.

In 2021, Arvest’s average interest rate for home purchase loans was only slightly lower than the national average (a 0.09% difference).

Arvest Central Mortgage Company average home purchase rate vs. national average

YearDifference from national average
2021-0.09%
2020+0.01%
20190%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Rates reflect noncommercial home purchase loans only.

Application process

To get a mortgage with Arvest, you begin with the pre-qualification process. Complete the contact form found in the “Get Started” section of the company’s website. You’ll need to provide an email address and select a loan officer to work with. If you aren’t currently working with a loan officer, you can have the company assign one. You’ll have to create an account and provide a phone number so the loan officer can reach you.

When you talk with your loan officer, be prepared to answer questions about your housing needs and financial situation. They may ask you to submit financial documentation, such as W-2s and bank statements. In addition, the company will pull your credit report to help determine your eligibility.

Once your application is complete, you may receive a prequalification decision within minutes. Arvest services most of the loans it originates, so it’s very likely you’ll work exclusively with the company until your loan is paid off or you decide to sell.

Arvest Central Mortgage Company application features

FeaturesAvailability
Online application
Mobile document upload
Physical branches4 states
Publishes minimum rate on website
Rate lock45 days
Pre-qualification (no hard credit pull)X
Certified approval letter

Loan types

Arvest Central Mortgage Company offers a broad selection of mortgage loans, including conventional loans in both fixed- and adjustable-rate options, jumbo loans, FHA loans, VA loans and USDA loans. It also has loans for new home construction and loans for physicians.

In 2021, there were 11,330 home purchase loan applications initiated with the company. Of those applications, about 74% were approved and originated. About 8% were denied.

Loan applications for home purchases only by year

202120202019
Home purchase applications11,33011,73710,858
Home purchase loans closed8,3358,8538,142
Home purchase applications denied854842760
Home purchase preapprovals denied000
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Refinancing

In 2021, most of the loans Arvest Central Mortgage Company originated were for refinancing (about 56%). About one-third (about 33%) were for home purchases.

In 2020 and 2021, interest rates were at all-time lows, so many borrowers chose to refinance in order to save money in the long run with a lower interest rate. Since bottoming out at 2.65% in January 2021, the average rate on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage has steadily been rising, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. As rates increase, fewer borrowers are expected to refinance.

Home purchase vs. refinance loans by year

202120202019
Home purchase loans33.26%35.23%45.34%
Refinance loans38.83%41.65%27.46%
Cash-out refinance17.33%13.67%13.21%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Requirements

Unlike some mortgage lenders, Arvest Central Mortgage Company doesn’t specify all of its borrower requirements publicly. Lenders generally require a minimum credit score of 620 for a conventional loan. Credit score requirements are usually lower for government-backed mortgages, like FHA, VA and USDA loans.

The minimum down payment for a conventional mortgage is often 3%. On an FHA loan, if you have a credit score of at least 580, you may qualify to put down as little as 3.5%. VA and USDA loans don’t require down payments.

National mortgage requirements by type

Min. credit scoreMin. down paymentCompare with other lenders
ConventionalTypically 620Typically 3%Mortgage lenders
FHA5003.5% with 580 credit scoreFHA lenders
VASet by lender (often 580)0%VA lenders
USDASet by lender (often 640)0%USDA lenders

Costs and fees

Arvest Central Mortgage Company doesn’t disclose its loan fees. The closing costs may include appraisal fees, a credit report fee, an origination fee, discount points, title fees, homeowners insurance, property taxes and mortgage insurance. Closing costs combined typically add up to 2% to 5% of the loan amount, on average.

Keep in mind that you will see a list of all the fees a lender charges before you sign the loan agreement. Lenders are required to give applicants a Loan Estimate once they submit an application and a Closing Disclosure at least three days before the closing; both forms list the costs and fees associated with your loan.

FAQ

How does Arvest Central Mortgage Company work?

Arvest Central Mortgage Company provides mortgage loans in 45 states. You can apply online, by phone or in person at a mortgage office if you live in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri or Oklahoma. Both conventional and government-backed loans are available. Once you close on your loan, you can expect it to service the loan as long you are making payments.

Is Arvest Central Mortgage Company legit?

Arvest Central Mortgage Company is a subsidiary of Arvest Bank, which serves over 100 communities in four states. It is a full-service provider that helps people finance the purchase of a home and refinance existing home loans.

Where is Arvest Central Mortgage Company available?

Arvest Central Mortgage Company is available in all states except Delaware, Maryland, New Hampshire, New York and Rhode Island. The company currently has branch locations in four states: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Arvest Central Mortgage Company?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

In the midst of loan modification they lied about postponing the auction. My single point of contact person wasn’t available yesterday and today is a holiday. Cruel to do this I’ve had the $ to pay my monthly mortgage and then in a 3 day window they claim I’m missing a paper come to find out.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I am having such a problem with this mortgage company. I did not choose them, I was with Cenlar for 6 years and Arvest took over my mortgage last year. I changed insurance companies this year, Reducing my annual fee by over $1200. Everything else has stayed pretty constant, my mortgage, the interest on that, my taxes etc. Now, one might expect my monthly payment to drop $100 a month or so following that, or at least remain constant. No, it was increased in September by $800 a month (25% increase). I did get a call from somebody at Arvest a few weeks ago, who didn’t seem to understand the first thing about mortgages or Escrow. I have just written to them again, explaining that they will have about $18,000 over to pay a $9,000 insurance premium at this rate. I’m not convinced they shall be capable of understanding it. Not sure what to do next. I shall of course swap mortgage companies as soon as I can.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I have had the worst experience with trying to refinance my home with Arvest. I went to them since my current mortgage is with them, I thought it would be easier. Boy was I wrong. Terrible communication. Whenever I emailed them, they didn't answer until I called. I lost my job in 2020 due to Covid, and I started collecting my social security, and also got a part time job. They told me they couldn't use my part time income, because I didn't work there for 2 years. When they ask for your income, it's the gross amount that they are looking for.

My social security is net figure, but they said that they could not gross it up since I just started collecting in 2021, and can't show it on my tax return yet. After 53 days, they denied my application due to insufficient income. I then went and applied to RocketMortgage, with the same low rate. RocketMortage approved my refinance in 23 days because they grossed up my social security, and used my part time income.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I was initially informed that my mortgage was sold to Arvest but only to find out that it was sold to another company and notice was mailed to old address. I have reached 5 times w/ no results or refund.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

This company is very well deserve their 1.5 star reviews all over the web. Slow, lazy, unprofessional. I bank ACH'ed them my mortgage pay off amount 10 calendar days ago, they still didn't apply the funds towards the pay off nor returned them back to me, keeping them as unapplied funds and that's it, giving me stories about wait until the end of today or wait until the end of the day tomorrow. These guys are thieves and these are the people who handles your money, stay away. Don't ever go with this lender.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

This company is a joke. My mortgage got sold to them and now they fee you to death. They are facing several lawsuits and a class action lawsuit in TX and now FL. DO NOT PAY THE FEES. They have no business changing the terms of the loan once they took over. Their customer service stinks, but they have to do what the company pays them to do, which is justify changing the terms of your mortgage.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

We refinanced our home through another bank in July to take advantage of the lower interest rates. We were told that we would receive a refund on our escrow balance within four to five weeks. It has now been six months and they have every excuse in the book. It's our money. This is totally unethical and dishonest.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

According to Wiki and other inform online Arvest is owned by members of the Walton Family, probably among the top 10 richest family US. Yet they still feel the need to charge you $5 for making payments online. That's $60 dollars a year, even some well know online publications dont' charge that much as subscription fees. No other mortgage servicer I have had charged ridiculous fees for making online payments, because it doesn't really cost them anything to make the electronic transaction with your bank. Really shocking. This Bank needs to shamed by the media and investigated by the Consumers bureau. Normally if I had choice I wouldn't do a business with such entities. But you don't have a choice of whether to do business with them because when you refinance your loan gets sold to them and and you are saddled with them for however long.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Unfortunately my mortgage was sold to Arvest shortly after we bought our home. There are fees for everything. $200 fee to set up bi-weekly payments, $3.50 for processing auto draft fees for the bi-weekly payments, $10 fee to do a payment over the phone. The only way to avoid these fees are to mail in a check every month or to set up auto draft for a 1 time withdrawal every month. It's not a very user friendly company. Hopefully they sell my mortgage to someone else.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Arvest Mortgage reported me late to the credit bureaus after my loan was transferred to them the first month they took over. IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND THEY DON'T CARE. The Federal Housing Finance Agency states a loan that is transferred cannot be reported to the credit bureaus late for 60 days, this company reported me within the first 17 days of servicing my loan. You can't make this company go away, when they sell your loan you are stuck with these criminals. I have reported them to the Attorney General, maybe they will actually do their job and shut them down!

Sources

ConsumerAffairs writers primarily rely on government data, industry experts and original research from other reputable publications to inform their work. To learn more about the content on our site, visit our FAQ page. Specific sources for this article include:
    1. Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, “HMDA Data Publication.” Accessed Aug. 30, 2022
    2. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, “30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Average in the United States.” Accessed Aug. 30, 2022.

Arvest Central Mortgage Company Company Information