1.10/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

GM Financial

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

293 GM Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

GM Financial reported that I missed 2 payments which I did not. In December 2017 I made 2 payments. They asked if I wanted it the second payment applied to principal. I later changed my mind and asked if it could be applied towards my January payment. No one could answer my question, They were going through their computer upgrade and stated someone would get back to me. I called several times, spoke to different representatives who all state they would get back with me. I finally went ahead and made my payment. After 30 days I was advised I would not be able to reverse payment. GM Financial’s inaccuracies has hurt my credit score tremendously. My score went down 30 points.

Original review: June 18, 2018

GM Financial has had reporting issues since Dec of 2017 when they acquired a new system. GM reported my account as 1 payment behind before their system went down and "stopped" reporting as they were having issues with their system. This issue caused incorrect reporting to all three of the major credit agencies. TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. All three bureaus were showing I hadn't made a payment on my account since November of 2017 in the months of Jan- May 2018. This killed my credit score! After speaking to numerous reps at their "Corporate" office and going back and forth for months, being told the problem should be fixed in 2 weeks I don't know how many different times and filing disputes with all three credit bureaus to prove my account was current and payment had been made things FINALLY seemed to be showing correct with the Credit Bureaus.

Fast forward about a month, Around May 22nd when they finally started reporting again to the bureaus... And my account is showing a zero balance with one of the agencies with a CLOSED/SOLD status. It shows they sold my account and I am in default! I found this out when I applied for a home loan and my credit took a dive again! This has been an absolute nightmare! Now I have to dispute with the credit bureau AGAIN. I did speak with a rep from GM Financial who assured me they would get a letter out right away - I can't wait to see how long it takes to get it this time. This has caused me so much extra stress in my life. If anyone has contacted an attorney please advise as I would love to make them accountable for the stress and headache this has caused in my life.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Chevrolet since 2006. I made the mistake of going to a different dealership closer to my home to lease my 2017 Trax. When I took out my lease in July the company was called the Acar company. Then apparently there was a transfer of accounts to GM Financial. In the process of this account payments were credited and deleted just one giant mess. I was told in numerous letters that the process of transferring was done and that my account was in good standing only to be told later that I had apparently missed a payment. At that time I was told that I missed a payment in Nov. Dec. and now that the payment was actually missed in March. No one seemed to know the truth and I became very upset because I have been a customer for years and never had a late or missed payment.

As I was trying to get this all straightened out and make my payments this company decided to ruin my credit by reporting my account overdue when in fact it was their fault that this problem had started in the first place. This company does not care about their loyal customers and has destroyed the credit of many which seems to be its only goal. As an NJEA member and a hard working person I will no longer deal with this company or Chevrolet. I will let my fellow union members know to be very careful if they have a need to deal with these two horrible companies.

Chevrolet is suppose to be about the hard working person and by watching their commercials you could almost believe it but buyer or leaser please beware of this money hungry credit destroying conglomerate that prey on the backs of the hard working Americans. Shame on Chevrolet and Bravo to GM Financial for showing their true colors to the American people. Hopefully this review will keep others from making the mistake that I made when I walked into that dealership.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have been called repeatedly and told I did not make payments when I in fact did. I spoke to the rudest customer service representative today who couldn't have cared less about trying to be kind, been left on hold countless times, and promised the calls would stop, but they don't. Looking into moving my lease to a different company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

GM Financial has no respect for their customer. Since December 2017 they have not reported any payments made to the credit bureaus which in turns lowers my credit score. I have called multiple times about this and the only response is, "We are working on this" and to "give us 6 weeks", which was 3 weeks ago. This is unacceptable for a so called reputable company. Are there any legal steps I can take to resolve this matter as credit scores mean everything for the working class in this country??

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been trying to get a 2nd lien released for years/weeks. It was originally released in 2014 and multiple letters have been mailed and faxed to these people with no resolve. I have spent countless hours of my time on the phone only to get the runaround and wrong information and "we are having system issues so I cannot help you right now." In the last 3 weeks I have called almost everyday trying to get this resolved. The first time I was told that no mailed copy of lien release had been received even though it had been mailed over 2 weeks prior. Then was told I could fax it in which I did. She said 24-48 for response on faxes. Waited 3 days and called back... nothing! Was transferred to the title department only to find out they are a third party not part of GM and was told GM had to do it on their end and then send it to them.

Called right back to CS and demanded a supervisor who after 30 minutes of holding told me I had to fax it to the title admin department and it would take 3-5 business days. Hmmmm who do you think is telling the truth? Or does anyone at GM even know what the truth is? Where do the documents go that are sent to them by various agencies on people's automobile loans? Black hole I can only assume. Do not support this horrific company. Finance through your bank or another lender. They do not deserve anyone's business. They are incompetent and lack the most basic of customer service and support. Funny thing is, I am trying to get the lien released so I can buy a new car and give my son the current auto as his got wrecked. Sorry GM you won't get my business EVER again!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have a vehicle that was totaled in December 2017. My insurance company paid their portion in January 2018. I have been waiting for 6 months now for GM gap insurance to pay their portion. Every time I call they are rude, curt and have no information for me. They NEVER return a phone call. It is now May 29, 2018, 6 months after the accident and I am STILL fighting with this company. Again, no one has any idea why it hasn't gotten paid. I am trying to close on a house and it is still on my credit that I owe this debt. They are doing absolutely nothing to help. This is the most horrific customer service I have ever encountered. I will NEVER buy GM again.

Original review: May 24, 2018

At the beginning of the year, GM Financial shut down for a few days to do some kind of update to their system, and since then it’s been a nightmare. In February I got a call from them saying I was two months behind in my car payments. So I called back and spoke to a representative and they went over my payment history with me and said everything looks up to date and they aren’t sure why it’s saying I’m late.

And now, I’m trying to move and buy a house, and my credit score came back low and the main reason given was that GM Financial was reporting that my account was delinquent back in December (it never was) and they haven’t updated the credit bureaus since December. So I called today and talked to someone, they said they are aware of the problem, and started fixing it in early May, but it won’t reflect on my account until June, and could take 30-60 days for it to cycle to the credit bureaus.

So essentially for the entire summer my credit score can’t go down because of their system’s mistake and they say there’s nothing they can do about it at this point except send me a letter saying my account is up to date to pass on to my mortgage lender so they can pass it on to the credit bureaus and see if they accept it and rescore my credit based on it. This is completely unacceptable, and if the credit bureaus don’t accept the letter, my interest rate on my loan will be nearly a full point higher than it would be without their mistake causing it to be higher, which translates to over $100/month. So needless to say, if I do end up with the higher interest rate, I will be suing GM Financial for whatever the difference in price will be over the term of the loan (at $100/month that would be $36,000).

Original review: May 22, 2018

I leased a 2016 SRX from March 2016 to March 2018, the auto had 3700 miles on it already, I drove about 20k, because it was used car, I was asked the dealer if they counted the usage on the tires, and I've been told - not to worry - those tires will last for 60K miles. When I returned the car at 20k miles, I've been charged for three new tires - almost $800, the inspection was done by third party and I was not allowed to present, I complained it to GM, and a very rude customer rep told me that I should file the complaint with the third party they hired. Never lease another car from this company!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I been with this company since 12/19/2017! 5 months later going on 6 they still have NOT REPORTED TO ANY CREDIT BUREAUS on my on time payments!!! I have auto-payment set up so I’m never late! They said they were going to fix this issue but still hasn’t! This is affect my credit! And is holding me back on so much! Never again. I cannot wait until my lease is up. I would never go with this ** company again!

Original review: May 4, 2018

Leaser beware!!! I leased a 2016 Chevy Cruze for two years. I bought extra extended miles and other extra warrantees which I never use through the company. Return the car two weeks early with 500 extra miles on it and no damage. I paid my lease in for the day that I lease the car so that means no late payments or anything like that. At the end of the lease I decided to go with another leasing company due to better deals than GMC wanted to offer.

I then received a letter stating that I owe if he called a disposition fee because I decided to go with Ford instead of GMC which is listed on the back of my leasing contract in very small letters and I don't mind paying a small fee for changing but they're punishing me by charging me $426 because I decided to go with another company! Please don't lease to them. Many hidden fees, rude to customers and the way they pay you back is by charging you 426.00. This is the way they show their customers they appreciate them! I will never or anyone I know or anyone I can stop whatever own lease or buy a GNC product again so I guess they might've got $426 but they're losing a lot of money in the end. Way to go GMC!!!

Original review: April 27, 2018

My car was totaled December 11, 2018. Payment was issued to GM Financial December 29, 2018. I called them for an itemized payment history. (60 + times not exaggerating) Today is April 27th 2018. I still have not received an itemized statement or acknowledgment of payoff to date. It still looks as if I have a large open balance. Making it impossible to get into another car. Currently renting a car from local enterprise. I will never ever ever deal with GM Financial ever again.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I wish to report the GM Financial has absolutely no respect or concern for its customers. I received notice in December 2017 that my monthly payment had not been received for my 2017 Chevy Trax. This concerned me as my account has been set up for auto-pay and every single payment has been made on time. This was followed shortly after by receiving another letter that GM's system was receiving maintenance and that all payments had to be sent in by mail. As soon as I received this, the check was then sent to GM. In January I came to realize what GM Financial had done when I applied for a Mortgage and my credit score came back low - for over a year I maintained a score between 720-730. When I asked what had happened, it appeared GM Financial had marked my account as delinquent for a missed payment and as a result this had completely changed my credit.

I called their helpline for the next repeatedly for the next week and kept receiving an automatic response that all lines were busy and to go online for assistance. This was a dead end as well since no response was received from messages sent. Finally, I called our dealership and explained the problem and was given a number to call a GM Financial representative directly. I then called him and explained the situation to him to which he responded that this system update had caused a lot of customers the same issue and that it would be resolved. Additionally, I sent copies to the representative demonstrating proof that all payments were made and in fact was overpaid by a month.

It has now been over three months and a further review of my credit score shows that no changes have been made. I have asked kindly that this problem be fixed but I have no confidence that it will. This has resulted in me being unable to apply for an apartment lease or a reasonable mortgage because of my low credit score. GM Financial does not seem to mind if you are a good customer who honors your contract and makes payments in full and on time. The lack of care and attention I have received from any representative in this matter is appalling and I am happy to post this in public because potential buyers need to be aware of how poorly you will be treated if you lease a car from GM. -

Original review: April 20, 2018

I moved to a new state over the last 3 weeks and was astonished to find out that GM was reporting my car in "Repossession Status" for not having made a payment since November of 2017. This mistake resulted in me having to pay an extra $1100 deposit for an apartment rental. I talked with GM and they said they would update my credit report to reflect the incorrect information.

GM updating their incorrect reporting does not raise my score back up, nor will it, any time soon. I called and talked with a manager today because I feel I should be compensated for the $1100.00 I had to spend that was purely the result of their inaccurate reporting. I was told that was probably not going to happen because they have to abide by the terms of my loan agreement. I mentioned that GM never gave anyone notice there may be negative impacts on our credit and many people still are unaware of what has happened. I am not sure what will come out of this but I cannot believe this may be allowed and even if they correct the reporting on our credit reports it will talk months to gain back the points we lost.

Original review: April 19, 2018

The end of March I had an email from Credit Karma stating that my credit score had changed because of a missed payment on my GM Financial. This was not true, so I called GM, and after at least 9 phone calls, I was told to email my bank statements to show that I had paid. 5 days went past with absolutely nothing from GM, so I called again and ask why I have not had a reply, oh the lady said, "We don't respond, but we know that you did not miss a payment and we have to get it signed off by one of the management so it can be sent to the credit bureaus." Well 7 days later still nothing. No apologies from GM and no change on my credit score. So now I have to get back on the phone to get this GM ** sorted. Never again will I use GM for my financial needs. They have absolutely no respect for their customer. Stay away from GM!!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

We leased our third GMC vehicle through GM Financial in April 2017. In July of 2017 they cashed a payment and didn’t apply the funds to our account. After dealing with over ten different people, names and ID numbers recorded, GM was still unable to find our money. We had to go to the bank not once but three times to collect and fax a copy of the cashed check.

We thought this nightmare had ended in November when it seemed the payment was found. Payments continued to be withdrawn from our bank account and cashed on time every month. We received a letter from collections in March and then a REPO notice in April and lo and behold since GM changed their billing address without notifying us, once again our payments that have been cashed ON TIME are not being applied to our account. It took a tremendous amount of time and effort to get a supervisor who swore up and down that she would help us and the calls and emails have been continuous for the past few weeks to no avail. Our credit report still reflects late payments and has dropped tremendously in the past weeks. This company is corrupt. Do NOT use this company.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I obtained a loan from GM Financial in September of 2017, a $29,000 loan for $476.99 a month for 72 months. In November of 2017 I requested a payoff amount. Every since I requested the payoff, they have stopped reporting my payments to the credit bureau. It makes me look 5 payments behind on my loan plus my credit report shows me owing $2500 more than I really owe. The company stopped reporting my payments to reduce my credit score so I could not obtain a loan from another company.

This is a huge rip off scam being used by this company. I think an investigation is in order. When I confronted them about the issue, they said they stopped reporting because of "errors". Please stop these people from doing this. It is highly profitable for this company to use this practice because it keeps their customers buried in the same loan and because of the misreporting, it limits customers ability to obtain new loans as their credit scores don't reflect payments made.

Original review: April 11, 2018

If I could give negative stars, I would. I was supposed to receive a call today, 10 April, in regards to a conversation I had with a rep yesterday. I have been trying to get my lease termination due to SCRA since August 10th, 2017. It finally got approved in February 2018, and I turned the vehicle in on February 12, 2018. My vehicle still has not been grounded, and I am showing as overdue for April.

I am refusing to pay any more money as I am owed roughly $240 for the proration of February 2018. Instead, I am still getting billed. This has knocked me down 30 points on my credit report because I purchased a new vehicle on the same day I turned my truck in, February 12, 2018. It has my debt-to-income ratio all jacked up. I am a service member and am deploying soon, and this can negatively affect security clearances with outstanding dues and a high debt-to-income ratio. I have contacted GM Financial numerous times, probably close to 20-30 times to resolve this issue with no luck. I am beyond disappointed with GM Financial and would deter anyone from financing with this department.

Original review: April 10, 2018

After 32 GM cars never again! Unfortunately I leased two Chevys the same day and neither the dealer, AutoNation or GM Financial could handle it. Got a bill 13 months later for a trade in that the dealer was supposed to have paid off. The second lease didn’t exist for five months. Then they erroneously posted two payments that I tried 8 times to correct only to have their collections call me five months later and said it was due. Incompetent hours on hold etc. Never again.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have had my auto loan with GM financial since 2015. Never once have I had a late payment on my credit report. All of a sudden in December when they decided to upgrade their system I was marked with a 60 day late payment on my credit report. Since September 2017 I have been working hard to repair my credit to get a mortgage this year. Well needless to say this company has not reported since December 2017 which in turn looks like I have not made any payments all year 2018. All payments have been made and my account is up to date.

I have called them several times asking to update my credit score. By mysteriously there is no live person to talk to that can fix this. I have called and emailed with no results. This has caused a 100 point drop in my credit score therefore I was denied a mortgage because they fail to report to the credit bureaus. How hard is it to report. Your system has been up and running for months. You have no problem reporting people when they are so called late. This company is terrible and I will never deal with them again. I will continue to report them to as many places as possible until someone sitting in an office clicks a button and updated my credit report and ensures that it is accurate. I have paid off over 10000 in debt in the last six months and saved just as much all for them to single handedly ruin my credit score. What a joke.

Original review: April 8, 2018

WOW!! It is amazing to see these reviews, I thought I was special. I leased a 2015 Tahoe with this company when they first came into existence in 2014. They are formerly AmeriCredit (explains why so messed up). I gave that vehicle back to dealership after lease completion. The dealership decided to purchase that truck from GM financial but instead, they called me collecting on an account that I was done with, reported I gave back and moved on to Ally finance. They reported me 30 days late on a payment that didn't exist! The dealership got in contact with their rep who contacting them to fix. They were supposed to fix and this was 2017 October when I gave truck back, it is 2018 March. It dropped my score in December 30-40 points. I called them, I complained, they kept promising to adjust.

No one person knew what the other was doing! One supervisor told me it was my fault that the truck was returned timely, reported to them, but sat on dealer’s lot. Huh? You all should've picked up! I filed a complaint with Michigan attorney general and I have GM removing the bad reporting 03/8, reporting negative again on 03/21, removing on 3/22 and reported negative again on 04/06. I received papers from Attorney General where GM told them it was corrected last week. And now I am just going to sue them for stress. This is the worst finance company and I have been leasing since 1996, I miss GMAC. This is a subprime company that took over for people with A1 credit and they don't know what they are doing! I still have another truck with them for my son and have 2 years left. I hate that I am still with them! Good Luck to all of you but trust me this place is unorganized and miscommunication is their name!

Original review: April 6, 2018

Not reporting correctly since December 2017. I have called GM repeatedly to get the credit reporting history corrected to no avail. Now I'm told should be corrected April 2018. I'll have to dispute. No way should consumers be affected negatively because a creditor updated their system and had issues. Credit affects our lives.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I selected one star since zero stars was not an option. I bought a new car on Dec 30 2017 and returned my current lease to the dealer. The dealer returned the car to GMF and paid the remaining balance, The payment was credited instead to another lease account that I have. GMF notified me that my lease return charge had not been paid and that I owed the balance. The other lease showed a large payment made and the lease almost paid up. I have been trying for months to get this rectified with no success. So far I have been told how hard it is to do this and also had calls unanswered. It seems impossible to contact someone who can actually deal with the problem. In the meantime I have received 2 bills for more than the buyout amount with no explanation. I have no intention of ever dealing with these people again.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I’m 42. I’ve had many loans. First time with GM Financial. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST COMPANY EVER TO GET A LOAN FROM. DO NOT TRUST GM FINANCIAL. DO NOT GET A LOAN FROM THEM! I got an auto loan. After about 6 months of payments I owed MORE than the loan actually was. They said it was because of the high interest. I refinanced through another company owing 10,000.00 less than GM Financial charged. Yes 10,000.00 less & GM also took money from my bank account twice without my authorization. GM has still never paid me back what they owe me after paying off my auto with them! Again do NOT trust this company or do ANY business with them. You WILL regret it!

Original review: March 27, 2018

They completed a hard pull on my Experian credit bureau and created an alias on my bureau and will do nothing to help me. I've spent days speaking to 9 people at GM Financial and am now speaking to my third person at Experian with zero luck so far. GM Financial may you go bankrupt, yet again, with ZERO help from the Federal Government to bail you out. My Attorney will be in touch! See you in Texas when you are subpoenaed.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I would not recommend using GM Financial to anyone. I leased a 2015 Malibu 3 years ago and immediately signed up for auto-pay. Every month like clockwork the payment came out and for 2 years I went thinking everything was fine. I went to qualify for a lease on a new house and find out my credit has went from a 750 to around 600 and have never missed a payment on anything.

It turns out GM Financial failed to take out the first month's payment and has been dinging my credit for 2 years without contacting me. They claim they corrected the credit problems but my credit has never fully recovered. It is now 3 years later and I turned my lease back in only to have them auto-draft an extra payment the month after I turned my lease in. They refuse to refund me the extra payment and continue to give me problems. I am still fighting with them over the wording on the post-inspection invoice being incorrect. The excess wear and tear protection I paid every month for is being denied due to this dispute in wording. Every aspect of my lease has been a disaster and I would NEVER recommend anyone use them for financing or leasing.

Original review: March 21, 2018

GM Financial has the worst customer service ever. I've sent a check to cover the remaining payments pending on my lease and called twice the 1-800 Customer Support to cancel the recurring payments (auto-pay) and even with that, they pulled the money out from my bank account. The website has no history of last payments and the refund process takes at least 30 days. Avoid this company if you are inclined to do business with some GM dealers.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Leased a truck in Dec of 2017. After three months of trying to set up a reoccurring payment schedule I still have to go online every month to make a single payment. As of this morning I have now talked to over twenty tech people trying to figure out why the website doesn’t work properly. After reading other reviews maybe it’s time to replace the incompetent people responsible for this ridiculous website? Everything associated in any way with GM seems to be a terrible experience for me. My last three vehicles before this truck were Jeep products and that’s what the next one will be.

Original review: March 13, 2018

DON'T LEASE USING GM FINANCIAL!!! I returned my vehicle in very good condition. But, after 4 months, they call me saying that there are issues with the car - dent on the wheel, one tire rating does not match the others (same brand, but different rating), and scratch on the center hubcap. After 4 months!!! They sent the invoice to recovery/collection services. I am force to pay for it to avoid damage to my credit; in addition they are charging me $10 for payment over the phone. WILL NEVER EVER BUY OR LEASE A GM CAR!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

Since GM's big mess of switching their system over... I have been charged the late fee because the system was down... but now I have been being charged this Earn Tax... which is the sales tax... $24.00 more each month. Contacted today on their chat and said there is no time frame for crediting my account and it will not show up on my credit report as not being paid or paid late... because I am not paying this Earn Tax. She assured me is would not show up like that. We shall see... I will be monitoring this closely. I understand things happen... I can't believe this happened to such a big company as GM. But nonetheless... it happened and it sounds like they are trying to make it right, just not as fast as we would like.

GM Financial Company Information