1.20/5
Based on 64 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended auto loan provider now

GM Financial

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

257 GM Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

GM is horrible. Worst company ever. They never answer the phone. Never call you back. Their website is all messed up. They are rude. No help! I can't even get someone to call me back about money of mines they have. I sent them a check and they have it holding in some account. Worst car loan place ever.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

GM Financial continuously reports my account as 30 days late to credit bureaus even though every payment is made on time through their website. I’ve tried many times to get them to fix this but I wait on hold for over an hour and then somehow get disconnected.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Leased a Trax with them via Ghent Motor in Greeley, CO. Was told by Ghent that a loan was in place for about $450...loan was never approved. GM Financial took back the Trax for nonpayment at the dealership despite a perfect payment history and pushed through a 500+ mo loan for the vehicle I had traded it in for...so it is difficult for me to be financed. Ghent will not produce paperwork and GM Financial will not correct credit reports. I'm working with a legal firm to have GM update my reports. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I am new to GM Financial. My first payment was due during the time GM Financial website was down as they were reconstructing it and there was no way to contact them via the website or by phone. While attempting to log in while the website was down, it stated the website would re-open on 1/5/18. My first payment was due on 1/8/18 so I planned on making the payment on the 5th. When I went to log in on the 5th to make the payment, the website was still down and customer service was still not available by phone. I had no other choice but to mail my payment via USPS overnight. So now I had to purchase a money order and pay the nearly $24 for overnight delivery.

When I called GM Financial to explain what had happened and ask to be reimbursed for the overnight delivery fee, I was put on hold for what seemed like eons just to have them tell me that's not their policy to refund delivery fees (even though they were at fault) and I should have known my payment could be 10 days late. I told the representative I had no way of knowing that, no one was available to speak to and why would I want my payments, especially my first one to be late! Horrible customer service. I will be searching for another financial institution to switch to.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Was trying to take over a friend's lease, because I was desperate for a vehicle. When they sent me the credit application, not only did they send ME the wrong forms, but they sent her the wrong ones as well. They also drag the process out just to tell me I was not approved. Besides the credit application, I was never contacted by GM Financial, and had to be updated through said friend. I find this leasing agency to be very unprofessional and I will not be doing business with them in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had an issue where I had made payment arrangement for late payments. I called in and made the final one and gave the customer service rep my confirmation number. That same day they took out another payment which made my account overdrawn. I had asked them to return the money and would not. So I had to have my bank take It back. They now won't let me use that checking account and each time I ask for assistance they are about as helpful as rock setting at the bottom of the ocean. I will never use them again even if they are the only place that is available to get a loan. They have lost my business forever.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

The GM Financial Payment Process is horrible. They use a third party vendor and if you don't log in the day before your payment is due you cannot even auto pay your bill. Furthermore they charge you late fees for any missed payments. If you can use a third party lender for any car other than GM Financial - really is a bad experience.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

GM Financial online site is not responding since they upgraded database. I have been able to call and message via social media and assistance is being provided. However, I am frustrated that I cannot access my account information online.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I was paying off my loan 4 years early. After making several large payments they started not counting towards the monthly due. In 3 months I paid nearly 3 years of payments and they charged me a late fee. When I first contacted them they said they would resolved it, that was 3 months ago. I have emailed them with no response. Every time I call the hold time is greater than 15 min.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

GM Financial is the worst company that I have ever done business with. After 4 months and countless phone calls, my accounts (I have 3) are still inaccurate. They owe me money and will not pay. They blame the dealership for not grounding the car in question and the dealership has provided documentation otherwise. I get a different story each and every time and it appears that there is no accountability. A different person responds each time if you're lucky enough to not get a busy signal or cut off. They blame everything on a "change over". How long does a change over take. And why are so many dealership fed up with it. GM Financial... read the reviews... we don't lie... YOU ALL DO!!! Never do business with this company.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I had a vehicle financed through GM Financial. After almost one year, I filed for Chapter 13. My payments to GM Financial remained the same because I excluded them from the bankruptcy. Although I was a few days late on some payments, I was always within the grace period, always paid the full amount, and frequently paid early. I always took care of them. My lease is about to expire - I made the last payment - and they will not approve another lease for the same amount. I have been a good customer to them and now they won't deal with me.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have been trying to get a hold of this company by phone and it advises to contact them online - which I tried and I have never gotten a response back. I have been trying to ask about my bill - which seems they have not subtracted two payments from - so it looks like I am overdue. Horrible company indeed.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Terrible time trying to get my money back from a car that was turned in with an overpayment. They sent 3 bills saying I owed nothing and they owed me. My dealer called 3 months in a row, still waiting. Went to pay on other car. They charge 9.99 if you use a credit card. A human is impossible to speak to.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have been attempting to contact GMF, to no avail, for the past six months. I am leasing two cars from them and cannot setup the second account on the website. Any attempt to contact anyone by phone is practically impossible. What a way to run a business!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Their customer service is horrendous. The online payment system is constantly having problems. The payment system itself is odd. It doesn't show your payment as being due until after your payment due date (for a lease, may be different for purchase). Do yourself a favor and stay away.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

At the end of my lease I received a bill of $495 for something called "Disposition." This was not for repairs or car clean up. It was a fee for returning the car to a dealer. It's a fee that was in my contract, but never mentioned or discussed. That strikes me as sneaky and unethical. I did the deal at Carl Black in Orlando. They were very nice, very polite, nevertheless, my good deal turned out to be less good by $495 two years later. I'm going to tell my friends about my experience and anyone who listens. AND I don't expect to be dealing with GM Financial in the near future.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My deceased father's lease was grounded, but GMF continued to debit his bank account two months. Not only that, the amount on the statement is not the same amount being debited. After several tries over two days, I got an "agent" who, when apprised about my concerns, promised that #1, the auto debit is discontinued, #2, the debited amounts will be refunded, and #3, the billing discrepancy is correct. But the auto debit was activated again...so whenever I call to get things straightened out, I'm put on hold for 15-20 minutes OR transferred another "agent" and put on hold again...AND SOMETIMES, the call is lost OR I'm told that the call cannot be continued due to "high volume"...and I have to start all over again. As of today, January 25, 2018, the issue has not been resolved. The company is totally inept and ineffective.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

This is one of the worse financial customers ever! I was off work for medical reason for a couple of months therefore I tried to call and defer my payment. I called only 10 days after it was due trying to be proactive but I was told I could NOT defer my payment and she had NO reason why except the system said I couldn't. Then she proceeds to tell me call back in 2 weeks and try again. I call back and then I'm told I have to PAY to defer my payment. That doesn't make any sense for me to have to pay more than half my payment when I'm dealing with a financial hardship. I will be borrowing from family to pay my note and refinancing my car with another company. Also I want to add I've never paid my payment late ever. They don't care about their customers at all and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I had a lease with them, traded my car in so the account was paid off/closed. 5 months later I accidentally paid my car payment to them via electronic payment. It's been a month. Can't get my money back. One excuse after another and a different answer from each person. I've jumped through all the hoops. A month down the road and still nothing! They did say I might see a check in a month or so. Horrible Company!!! No morals or values!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have been on medical leave from work. GM Financial was contacted to defer payment to end of loan. GM Financial approved the deferment. 3 days later GM Financial repossessed our vehicle. 3 payments left to make on the loan. When GM Financial was contacted the story changed and they could no longer place a deferment on loan due to it being so close to end of loan. Due to the lack of professionalism we chose to remove the account from GM Financial with a 10 day payout. Loan was paid off and title was in our possession and 16 days later vehicle was then released. GM's excuse was that their computers were down. Only upon us threatening calling the police for auto theft within one hour GM contacted repossession company and vehicle was "release". We have had nothing but issue after issue with GM Financial. Save yourself the hassle and do not choose GM Financial for an auto loan.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

AFTER 90 DAYS - NEVER RECEIVED MY REFUND. Reading reviews about GM Financial, I noticed that what they are doing to me is a common practice! My story is basically the same as below from Theresa. It's been 90 Days now and I just called GM and they have no idea when my money will be refunded. Also, after I called a second time, they transferred to "Customer Service" which was a non-existent number...Unacceptable!!! I will NEVER do business with company again. I am calling MA attorney general office tomorrow AM.

Resolution response: Jan. 13, 2018

My bank requested a copy of the electronically cashed check and my account was updated to reflect the payment - it was still two days after my due date and 8 days after the check had cleared my bank. I am, however, thankful that it was updated and that I can continue with the purchase of my next auto from Chevy. The salesperson I am working with informed me that GM Financial does not handle their outright sales loans, only leases.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Something seems suspicious with GM Financial's MyAccount, at least for me. My lease end date is just a few months away. Emails from GM Financial: 12/21/17 - MyAccount will be unavailable beginning 12/29/18 - 1/5/18. 12/27/17 - MyAccount will be unavailable beginning Friday. 1/5/18 - Account servicing updates are delayed. I use MyAccount, to make my payment a few days early (it is due on the 10th of the month), however, when I tried to do it before their outage, they wouldn't allow me to post date it past the outage date (all other previous payments allowed it). So I had to mail it in. No problem. 12/30/17, done. My payment cleared my bank on January 4. Super, right? Sure, if GM Financial had posted it on their side... but it still shows I have a payment due for 1/10/18! Not only did someone screw up posting it to my account, they processed it as an e-check payment - which I did not even authorize.

So I spent 29 minutes on hold and 15 minutes talking to someone who clearly didn't know what was what, who told me to fax (then told me to email) a copy of my cancelled check - and that they wouldn't look into it until they received proof that I made my payment. She also told me that the company is trying to eliminate some middle-man payment processor and that is part of what is changing there (Is this my problem, as the consumer? I don't think so, do you?). Some interesting notes. I wrote the check to GM FINANCIAL. The person who processed it (and obviously did not post it to my GM FINANCIAL account, sent it through as to US LEASING ORIGI rather than GM FINANCIAL as I wrote the check. I have just under an 800 credit rating that I work hard to maintain and this really ticks me off.

As I am writing this, I received another email from GM Financial: 1/9/18 Servicing Systems are back online. The gist of the email is this: "Review your next statement carefully. Late fees charged during the outage, from Dec. 30 to Jan. 8, will be removed. Please call us as soon as possible if you see an erroneous late fee. Also, check your contract. It may allow a period of time during which you are not assessed a late fee. Will this outage affect your credit history? Rest assured, we are committed to not letting this system upgrade affect your credit history in any way. Like all responsible financial institutions, we report non-payment on accounts after 30 days. Any accounts that reached 30 days past due during our outage, which began Dec. 30, 2017, will not be reported past due if payment is received prior to Friday, January 12, 2018."

My payment is due 1/10/18, but was already cashed and went back to my bank on 1/4/18. There is no mention about a scenario where the outage didn't make my payment late, but rather seemed to send it into oblivion. I know I paid it, the bank knows I paid it, and something called US LEASING ORIGI knows I paid it, but GM Financial doesn't because US LEASING ORIGI apparently did not send the message, for lack of better explanation. I am trying to set up my next car deal (through Chevy again) and they think I have an extra payment due because of this, which goes into the loan amount. This is really frustrating. Perhaps I won't close the deal after all if this is how a financial giant handles their financial situation. Unbelievable.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

After having 4 cars from GMC and financing just 1 of them with GM Financial I couldn’t be more disappointed. My lease was a total loss a few months ago; our payment was up to date. We had GAP insurance which happens to also conveniently be with GM. After the car was totaled which based on the insurance wasn’t my fault everything should have been zero out and worked out between the insurance company and the GAP like in any other situations with a total loss (of course if you have a GAP insurance which we did). Well, my story is completely different and at this point disappointment is a very small word for how I feel.

First of all, we have a paper where it was stated that in case there was a total loss we could get reimburse some money from the GAP which never happened because the check was sent to the dealership and since GM is also the GAP insurance company they conveniently applied $300 and something dollars to the total amount due for the car instead of us getting that money. The dealer stated that it was something stipulated in the car contract, fine; we left it like that. One month after the accident we started receiving a bill for $460 for an “amount owed”. We called in different occasions GM financial and explained the situation and they always stated that it will be removed. This month we NOT only received a bill again but they reported it to the credit. At this point this is fraud and everything is internally being monopolized by this company working for them and against their customers.

GAP will pay whatever the insurance doesn’t cover even for a lease, if there is an “amount owed or due” should be worked between the insurance company and the GAP. The customer is NOT responsible for that amount neither the company has the right to put it on their credit report. Also, at the time of the accident when the insurance company receives a Payoff amount (is the amount owed up to that date) if there was a discrepancy of numbers it is NOT the customers' fault neither we have to pay for it but it is easier to bill the customer instead of paying that amount since they are also the GAP insurance. I really hope this gets resolved soon. I will never get another GM car neither go with GM financial again, I feel like I have been robbed. I will NOT recommend GM financial to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I paid my Yukon off in 2012, needed to get a duplicate title, here I am after 2 months and jumping through numerous hoops still without a title. Each time you call this company you get a different story and no one has a clue of what they're talking about. It should not be that hard to get a Lien Release on a 5 year old title considering they were paid off $45,000 much earlier than the original term. I would never do business with them again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I logged in in November to check to see if my bill was due, since nothing had come out of my bank account as expected (I thought I set up auto pay when I signed my lease). The site said I owed $0, and my next due date would be December 12. I thought this was odd, since I had yet to pay anything, so I used the "Message us" option on the website.

So it was at first unclear whether anything was owed to GM, then the agent confirmed that I owed nothing. On Dec 1, I logged in to pay my bill (I prefer to pay bills as soon as I receive my monthly paycheck). There, I was greeted with a past due notice totaling $751. I contacted GM through the chat again, and received no response for several minutes. While I was waiting for someone to respond in chat, I called GM. I spoke to someone who repeatedly blamed me for the past due, telling me "Regardless of what the website says, you owe $367 every month on the 12," and that "the chat is always wrong."

This is not an acceptable response from customer service, and I am fairly sure is criminal. I was told quite clearly by the website and customer service representative that I owed $0 for November. I thought it was odd, I questioned it, but was told that I did not owe anything until December. There is no way I am going to pay the November bill now, just out of principle. The only option given to me to repay this amount was to split it in two and tack it onto December and January's bills or pay it all by the end of December. Oh and guess what - the site will conveniently be down December 29-Jan 5, so I can't even pay that giant bill on the last day of the month when I get my next paycheck. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY IF YOU CAN HELP IT. THEY ARE LIARS.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My daughter has a loan on a 2015 Chevy Malibu that I cosigned for. Twice, now, GM Financial has sent for the car to be repossessed even though the account is current. My daughter is in constant contact with them, explaining the circumstances, letting them know exactly when to expect payment and then paying exactly when she said. They are quick to take the payment and quick to take the money from her account, but for some reason unable to take the repo order off even though they admit the account is current. Scam artists to the max. Avoid them at all costs.

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2017

The dealership has sent us a check to pay GM Financial and get up to date. THE dealership Davidson-Gebhardt has really tried to solve this. THEY will take over with dealing with GM Financial. VERY professional answer and we are very thankful.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Ok, so I can blame everyone involved so let's just start with the dealership, First, they screw up the paperwork for my 2018 Colorado Lease and had to make another contract. Because this took so long I did not get a statement from GM Financial until after the payment due date so I made the payment at the dealership. After getting a statement from GM I started making bill pay payments. After first payment the next statement stated I was behind in payments. I called them and checked and they were missing that payment that I had made at the dealership so I sent a copy of the receipt to them. Looking at my statement online it looked like I was up to date, I even got a call from them earlier that they were investigating. The dealership stated they would follow up on it, but I never received a call.

So as of today, I received a call from GM Financial even though I had a receipt they had never received the funds. AND that it is still late and up to me to fix... WHAT!? So I have called the dealership again and am waiting for a call. What I did learn is that GM Financial is NOT A BANK, the funds go to ACAR Leasing LLC. I suspect that those funds went directly to ACAR and made that suggestion for GM Financial to check there. It is now into the fifth month since I got the lease. What I haven't found on this site is a real method to solve this. Looks like from all the complaints I will have to sue them. IF anyone knows a proven method please write a review for all of us to see. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The lease through GM Financial was paid off by another dealership and they still auto deducted an extra full month's car payment from me. The process to get a refund for their mistake has been horrible. We are almost 60 days out and no one can seem to get their process/explanation right. There is no consistency and I am jumping through hoops just to receive my money back, when it was their fault that they overcharged me in the first place. I would never do business with them again!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I purchased my car back in 2015. Never missed a payment or late on a payment. Hurricane Harvey hit and my car was literally floating down the road. It was totaled. The insurance company came to pick up The car. Did not evacuate it due to the fact there was thousands of vehicles that needed to be towed off. I kept in constant contact with GM Financial to let them know what was going on. Never once did they tell me that I needed to continue to pay on the car. They reported on my credit a late payment that dropped my score about 80 points. We called and asked if there was a way to get that off since I was never told we needed to pay and the lady that we spoke to was rude and told me there’s nothing that they can do even though we have never been late in a payment and obviously this is the first time I have dealt with one of my vehicles being totaled. I didn’t know what to do.

That’s just the first thing that was wrong with GM. GM kept calling saying that my insurance company hasn’t had contact with them when that was a complete lie. My insurance company was trying to get them to release the title. That way they could write them a check and GM gave them the runaround and wouldn’t release the title. I'm not the only one that had this problem. And to top it off they tried to repo the car. I haven’t had the car since hurricane Harvey hit. It’s in some field with thousands of other vehicles so good luck finding it.

My insurance company finally got the title and was able to write them a check but now getting harassed because my gap insurance hasn’t paid the remaining off. Anyone dealing with gap knows there’s a lot of paperwork you have to get done before they will pay it off. That’s hard to do when your home got flooded and two Of your vehicles got flooded and you're trying to put your life back together. I will never do business with GM Financial again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I just became financially able to purchase a newer car and was excited to bring home my new Malibu. Excitement turned to frustration and disappointment with GM Financial. I have had my loan since March 2017 and since then they have "lost" a payment and denied a payment was made. They are now telling me I am going to be in active repossession even though I have provided proof of payment. The emails "were never received", my phone calls were never noted in the system, and this last payment was again taken out of my bank account yet "not received" on their end. To top it off the payments aren't being made directly to the company regardless of how they are made. It always goes through Western Union. I am frustrated and unable to get out of the loan.

GM Financial Company Information

Formerly Named:
    AmeriCredit
    www.gmfinancial.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use