1.14/5

Auto Warranty Expired?

GM Financial

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

368 GM Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Bought a car, was ripped off in payment as it was increased after loan was signed. I paid on time then could not keep up with payments. I tried to refinance for a smaller payment, they refused so I told them I voluntarily surrender the car. I made sure it was clean and had gas. It was in great condition, they picked it up like I was a criminal, I handed them the keys. They auctioned it or sold it for $4000. And tried to get me to pay 13900. They then charged it off as a bad debt write off for taxes. Reported me being late Jan 2019, what it was charged off in 2017, still reporting late payments and a balance due of 13900. FCRA says if it is charged off the balance is 0 as they can no longer collect. It has been written off their taxes. I have disputed all three credit bureaus and GM still has not corrected. I have also called them directly and they are still reporting incorrectly. It may be time to use my attorney. Do not use under any circumstances. You will be screwed in the end.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

First of all, I will start by saying that I don't even think that GM Financial deserves the one star rating I gave, but I had no other option. I am extremely disappointed by the lack of professionalism that GM Financial has shown in the time that I have had to work with them as the financing company for my leased vehicle. When I moved to a different state for work, it was nothing but a huge headache in getting GM Financial to do their job so that my car registration could be processed in the new state. I registered my car in this new state in December of 2017. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles in this state sent several letters to GM Financial from March 2018- June 2018 requesting that they send the title for the vehicle over to them so that they could process my car registration.

I was personally sent a letter by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles stating that they had reached out several times to GM Financial and that they had failed to respond. From that point on, I got nothing but the run around from GM Financial in terms of why this hadn't been done (mostly they put the blame on the car dealership). In July 2018 GM Financial told me that they sent the title over to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, and it should be there the following day. I contacted the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and updated them on everything and they said they would be on the lookout for the title. And if I didn't hear anything from them I should assume they have what is needed. I hadn't heard anything for two months, and assumed the problem was resolved. In September 2018, I received another letter from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles stating that they still hadn't received the title and I had two weeks to turn in my plates.

I won't go into the week by week breakdown of what happened after this because that involves 10 pages of documentation I have. However, I will say I was able to get a few extensions through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles so that my registration wouldn't be suspended. During this time, GM Financial was less than helpful, and didn't seem to have a sense of urgency in getting this problem resolved. I got different stories from everyone I spoke there. I was finally told on November 1, 2018 that on October 24, 2018 that GM Financial received the title for the vehicle from my previous state (why they didn't request it from there sooner is beyond me) and that they had to send it back because the title was not correct.

They told me it would take 3-4 weeks to receive the updated title. I explained that I was on my 3rd extension for my registration by that point and it was about to run out and asked if they could have the title expedited given the situation. They said they couldn't do anything on their end and suggested I call my previous state to see if things could be processed sooner. When I called the DMV in my previous state they informed me that they had received an application on October 24th from the third party company that works on behalf of GM Financial to have the title corrected, but that it was rejected on October 31 because the application was not notarized.

I immediately called GM Financial back and made them aware that this application was rejected, and was told they couldn’t do anything until they received the rejected paperwork back; which would take up to two weeks (not to mention the additional 3-4 weeks processing time in addition to that). I asked to speak with a supervisor, who didn’t seem as concerned that I was about to have my registration suspended. I was able to get a fourth and final extension through December until the title came through.

However, I was asked by the supervisor at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles I was working with if I could have the supervisor I was working with at GM Financial send her an email to update her on my situation so that she could add it to my file to justify giving me so many extensions. When I asked the supervisor at GM Financial to do this she told me she wasn’t allowed to write emails or send anything in writing per their legal department! If you are telling the truth and doing what you are supposed to be doing then why should you worry about what’s in writing?!

When all was said and done, the title was finally received and my registration was able to be processed on December 21, 2018...a year later! I am extremely disgusted by GM Financial and the way I was treated throughout this whole process. If I had missed a lease payment they would be hounding immediately wondering where their money was. However, it took over a year for them to provide me with what I needed to legally drive a car that I make all on time payments for.

I had no control over this situation as GM Financial is the “owner” of the vehicle, yet I was the one getting the suspension letters. I WOULD NEVER recommend this company to anyone that has a choice. When this lease is up, I will not be leasing another car where GM Financial is the financing company. I think they need to re-evaluate what it means to be professional, and take some accountability when they don’t do their jobs. Customer care is certainly not their priority. I hope I can save someone from going through the same headache that I’ve had to.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Don’t finance anything through them until they properly update their online system especially if you like taking care of your payments electronically. They won’t care if you’re a good customer who has never been late with payments (in fact few times even paid more than minimum payment), they will right away report to the credit bureaus when you make one mistake and because of their inefficient and confusing online system. I actually took care of that late payment right away after finding out they still remove it. The saddest part is I didn’t even find out from them but because I have a credit monitoring set up. Overall this company has their priorities completely upside down. No way this is good business.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Purchased vehicle for $47,966. Sent them a check for $48,000 two days later. 3 months passed and I’ve not received the title. I call today to ask, why I wouldn’t have received my title at this time. I was informed that there is a $291 balance remaining on the vehicle, which is why we haven’t received the title. I then proceeded to ask the representative, how I would have possibly know there was a balance, as I was under the impression it was paid off. When you call it says you have a $0 remaining balance due. I haven’t received a bill with a remaining balance, no email, no phone call etc.

The individual on the phone then proceeded to tell me, “he’s not sure, then send the bill out and they're not responsible for what happens to the bill from there”. Again, I asked him how would I know I had a remaining balance. He then proceeded to tell me, he has a PDF on his screen that shows the balances. I asked to speak to a manager and he said; “it’s late, I can walk around for a little bit and see if I find someone but they're not going to do anything for you.” I’ll never buy another GMC in my life. My Family is a Ford Family and have bought Ford all the way back to my Great Grandparents. I ventured off and it bit me in the butt.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

My loan for account ** was paid off in early October. October they took out a regular payment via auto draft. I called customer service to hear that it is my fault for not calling to cancel my auto draft. They said they would cancel the auto draft and told me to go to my bank to file an unauthorized transaction to get my money back. They reversed the transaction about 10 days later. I called in November and they verified my auto draft was stopped. In December I get an email that my payment will be extracted in 5 days. I called customer service and was assured my auto draft was stopped. On December 20 they auto drafted a payment. I called and got an apology and was told customer service sent a request to the auto draft department to cancel but it never happened. Once again I went to my bank and filed an unauthorized transaction.

As of today they have not reversed the transaction. If I don't get this money back I will start over drafting because I have other bills to pay while they are holding my money. GMAC has reported to the credit bureau that my account was paid off and closed on December 1. There is no reason that they should still be extracting money from my bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My car was repossessed in November. I had been having a hard time with payments after being laid off my job. I never knew how this works so I guess I did not ask enough questions. The owner of where my car was taken knew I was coming back to get my car. His lot was not a crowded lot. He said OK. I had an emergency and had to go out of town, came back and my car had been moved to the auction people. On Thursday I talked to the GM people. They knew I would have the money Monday. My car was auctioned on Thursday. Someone called me Friday to ask me my plans for the car. Something told me to call for myself but I thought surely they have told the auctioneers that I was planning to get my car. I am sick that these ** people acted like this to me. Why continue to talk to me like, you had to know what had happened. What liars, such dishonest people.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Bought a new GMC truck. GM dealer was suppose to pay off my existing GM lease of $972.00 which was not done. GM Financial put a late payment on my credit report and wouldn't correct it when it was paid. Been loyal GM customer for 30 years. Purchased 9 new vehicles in that time. No more. Will never buy another GM product again. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The website and payment portal is unbelievably bad. You have to set your own start and end dates for payments, so you better know when the last payment is due. Never seen that on any other recurring payment I make. Won't let you set up future starting payments, so if you already paid for the current month, I guess you need to wait until next month to set it up.

How they handle property taxes on leased vehicles is absurd. They pay the tax and then put it on your bill, which is great and the same as every company I have ever leased from but with GMC there is no notification. There is no copy of the tax invoice sent, it simply shows up one month (as a past due). I can't understand why they wouldn't let you know this is coming, or that it's arrived. If you choose paperless you will simply have an outstanding balance until you go online and notice it. I wonder if this is a shady retention technique so they can offer some partial relief at the end of the lease instead of writing a big check if you renew a lease with them.

A glitch caused my monthly payment to be applied to the property tax and sent my account in arrears (they do give you 12 months to pay the property tax). If you are in arrears it for some reason cancels your recurring payment, so better catch the error quick or you'll be 2 months behind. It took 3 calls talking to 4 different reps to (possibly) get this worked out. Just about every large company has perfected their e-commerce by now and have user-friendly systems enabled, GM Financial is easily the worst I have dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have set up an account through my account at GM Financial. It states that I just have 9 more payments left until my loan is paid in full. However when I called GM Financial to get a payoff amount on the car I realized that by paying $348 a month, which is what my payments have been. I would owe nearly $1000 dollars more. When I call to speak to a representative they transfer me from one department to the next. Often losing our connection. Then only having to go back through the painful process of speaking to another completely different representative and explaining to them everything that I had just been through. It didn't take long for me to realize they do that on purpose. Their system is set up to give you the runaround. And I'm pretty sure by now they will never give me the title to the car once it's paid for. This should be illegal! They are a complete con business.

Unfortunately like me my guess you already have a loan through them and you were just happy that someone would finance you a car. It really is a shame that a company would be allowed to run their business with such deceivement. Putting it simple, we've been had tooken for fools. I really hope legal action can be sought after this crooked loan shark company. For those of you smart enough to read these reviews before you choose to finance your automobile, I hope this detours you from making the mistake so many of us already have. DO NOT TRUST GM FINANCIAL.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have had a car leased through GM Financial for 2 years and have had unfortunate events that have made me fall behind. I have remained in contact with GM Financial to make payments and arrangements and tried to work with them as much as I could. When contacting them all except 2 reps and one manager that I have spoke to have not been rude. Everyone else including a manager that I have spoke to just get an attitude and treat me like I'm stupid. I find this to be very rude and unprofessional.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Credit score 800. Never missed or late payment. We were told we could easily extend our lease 8 months before lease was over. Then at the end of lease I’m told no and the car is due in 4 days. After consulting with our dealer he told us to escalate our issue to manager at GM Financial. So then I was told I could extend the lease for 6 months but at 2 month intervals. Call back after 2 months and extend again. So we did. Now we are told there is no extension. 13 days before Christmas and the car is due in 4 days. But they took another payment already. So if I want I can file a claim for my money back. What kind of BS is this company. And to add insult to injury I’m pleading my case to GM Financial India branch. It’s no wonder these car companies are in trouble. The car will be auctioned off for pennies on the dollar and they are refusing to continue receiving payments for 4 more months. Doesn’t seem very smart.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Decided to refinance my home a few weeks after I turned in my old lease and got a new lease with GM Financial. The bank was worried about a letter I got that the old lease was paid off but I might be liable for some money owed on it. I called them and they confirmed that since I did another lease with them, I would owe $0. I waited a week and called them to see if I could get a letter or statement saying I would owe $0 instead of $14K. They said I had to wait 60-90 days for a final bill. I thought to myself that it wouldn’t take that long so I waited another week and called them just to see if it was processed. They said to wait a few more days and that once the final bill was processed, they could fax me a copy.

So I waited and called them back a few days later. They say the final bill was processed but now imaged and to call back a few days later. A few days pass and I give them a call. They say it’s imaged but that they absolutely cannot email or fax the final bill. That I would have to wait for it to be sent by mail. At this point I’m extremely annoyed. I call a few days later and they say they haven’t mailed it yet. I ask if they can give me anything, doesn’t have to be the final bill, that shows I have a $0 balance. They say they can do that for me. That was two days ago. If you like getting the run around, finance with this company. It is ridiculous that something so simple could take so long.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

This is a letter submitted to the dealership CCO: "This past July my wife and I made a deal with your sales team on a new 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe lease. Part of that deal was taking our Buick Enclave as a lease return. Another part was putting down more than $7000 to pay off the excess miles. At that time your Buick dealership across the street inspected the 2015 Buick Enclave and determined it didn't have any wear and tear above and beyond "normal". The deal was the down payment would cover the lease return and excess mileage and anything else involving the new Santa Fe lease. Much to the surprise of my wife and I was receiving a bill almost 5 months later from GM Financial for $2,670.54 for excess miles and other than normal wear and tear.

"Once your, so I was told, "authorized" Buick dealership across the street made the inspection of both the miles and the condition of the Enclave and a contract was written up this should have been a done deal. Instead we now have a bill for almost $3,000 and GM threatening to ding our credit if this is not paid. Please investigate this matter further so I know how to proceed with legal, media, government or contacting watchdog groups. FYI...GM has offered a settlement of $925 but that needs to be done soon. A copy of the bill is attached to this email. Thank you." Btw...this is the supervisor at GM Financial I spoke to and her ID number. Caneel **. She refuses to send an itemized bill of new charges claiming they were sent out once and it's illegal to resend. I never received the first bill they claimed they sent.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I had problem with GM Financial. I am supposed to get a refund but I never got it. I called multiple times and each time I had to explain again and again my story. They are very Stubborn people and you will never get the last word with them. I will never get involved with GMC because of their GM Financial.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My son leased a 2018 Acadia through GM Financial. One week after taking possession he died of an epileptic seizure, leaving behind his 29-year-old wife, a 3-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son. The dealership took the vehicle back. He had driven it two times and it had 160 miles on it when it was returned. GM Financial is keeping his $3,300 down payment rather than returning it to his widow to help with funeral and other expenses. In my opinion not the type of company I would ever want to do business with. Incredibly callous. Had he driven the vehicle for several months I would understand, but he drove it twice. I think a widow with two small children could use the money more than a multi-million dollar company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have no complaints with my vehicle. The complaint is with GM Financial. My vehicle was a total loss 10-28-18. I called them the next day. Gave them all insurance information. I called back a week before my payment was due and said they were getting a check. They told me this loan is your responsibility. No stuff?!!! Then the insurance paid my car off. They cannot tell me if the payment has been applied. I need to call back next week. I need a vehicle. I want to go this weekend to get one. They could care less and were rude to me. I will never use them again to purchase a vehicle. They are rude and greedy!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Well I am calling GM this morning Nov 30 2018 says that business hours on Friday are from 8am to 5pm. Keeps telling me that they're closed and to call back. I have set payment to come out of my account but do to the recent holiday my money will not hit my account until Monday Dec. 3rd. Trying to move payment until then so they don't overdraft my account. However GM cannot be contacted. I have also reached out to GM because I paid over 3 grand to have my car fixed March 2018 and the problem is back.

I was told I would have a call today on this matter also that GM would honor the work they did 8 months ago. How is this possible if your closed on a day you should be opened why wasn't this explained. I feel there very unprofessional the things that I have ask of GM are simple but I ALWAYS get we can't help with THEIR products. My name is Raymond ** number **. How long will it take for this BILLION DOLLAR company to get back with me. Why is GM so hard to do business with. I will post until these multiple matters are fixed and I'm satisfied. This time you will do business the right way.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Paid all my payments and they are showing that I still owe $640 and that they are gonna report me to the credit bureau, that’s fine but I have made all my payments and plus some extra on top and these people are now trying to get me for more money when I was told my last payment was to be paid on 11/8 for $450 and now I’m being told I still owe money... Will not recommend this financing company to anyone in the future due to being screwed and in process of fighting this battle. Very poor customer service and being lied to about my money. Manager hasn’t even contacted me so clearly they don’t care, good luck.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have had my current lease for close to two years now. Within the last year I have had it in to service 7 times. The first time was for a piece of molding that had come off on the top of the car. The next time was over the summer of 2018, the cord controlling my air condition broke, they couldn’t get it fixed for over a month because they didn’t have appointments open. The last 5 times have been since the end of September 2018. I had a problem with the engine power being reduced. The first two times they couldn’t pull a code to fix it. The third time they replaced the gas pedal and said If it acts up again they would need to rewire it. The very next day it happened again, they said they knew it would happen but couldn’t fix it correctly per GM protocol.

At this time I said I was unhappy with the lease and wanted out. I was told it was too early and still owe too much on it ($3100). I’m sorry but for such a big dealership I feel $3100 is nothing. When I picked it up from being rewired my car windows and mirrors did not work. So now it sits in the shop AGAIN. I feel $3100 is cheaper then losing a customer, but I will now be looking for a new dealer if nothing is done.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Paid lease in advance $4000. Car was totaled. Insurance was told the car cost $39080. Insurance paid $38000. GAP paid $4600 and I overpaid $3200. They refuse to give me a refund. Do not use GM Financial.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Long review short, after 6 year of paying off my car, and then paying it off again cause for some reason I still owed money. After getting my title in the mail. A repo man visited my house this morning and took my car. These people are crooks. I can't call to complain because they won't pick up the phone.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I've never in my life has such rude people that I've had to deal with concerning an auto loan, and I've had quite a few, but this is my first with GM. I paid my payments every month, but suddenly a repo truck shows up! I call them immediately to sort it out, to no avail... Payments are $360/mo, yet I had to pay nearly $1600, $500 of which were repo fees, that could've been allotted had they discussed it with me before he took it. They tell me I have no choice but to let them take it, and that they cannot work with me on anything until it is repossessed.

Long story short, I pay the fees because I need the vehicle... Jump forward to the next month, the payment was due on Friday. Monday rolls around and I sincerely forgot. It dawned on me Tuesday, and I promptly paid it, yet a repo truck just rode by my house very slowly flashing a flashlight into my yard! It's still Tuesday night, so of course the payment is still showing as "Pending", but they're calling it "Four days past due", nevermind the fact that Sundays they are closed, so it's technically two days past. Either way, if they repossessed it for 2 days, they can keep it! I'm done with this company!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am currently working on obtaining a mortgage and my credit is spotless but GM reporting I was late 5 months in a row which I wasn’t! I actually even paid more every month than my car payment to help pay it down quicker, I even pulled my bank records to fax them to show they took it out and still NO HELP. I have called and spoken to numerous people even a supervisor who could care less and told me it’ll be looked at my credit department when it gets looked at. If I get denied for my mortgage, I will be going after them for the damages due to their ERROR.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have to give big props to a customer service representative who spoke with my mother this past week. Alexandra ** I believe is what my mother wrote down... took the best care of my elderly mother on the phone. My mother has dementia, and Ms. Alexandra spent over 20 minutes on the phone with her explaining in detail how to work the extension form that needed to be submitted to help my mother out after financial struggles due to medical bills. I know some people do not understand how easy it can be to lose patience as a customer service rep, because I have been there myself, but my mother just went on about how patient and genuinely kind she was. Please tell her to keep up the good work and thank her. The world needs more kind-hearted people like this.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have never dealt with GM Financial prior to this experience but I have taken a lease in January of 2017. The first 8 - 12 months went smoothly, when my property taxes were added to the account what should have been an easy process has become a nightmare. In 23 months I have not missed a payment and quite the opposite I have overpaid. They make threatening phone calls saying I missed a payment when in fact I made the payment and call to have the overage applied to my taxes. It has taken them months and when I think it is fixed we go back to square one and it is screwed up again. This is the worst company!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

This company is the reason America screams **. They report false information to all the credit bureaus because America allows their lazy people that sit on their behinds trying to enforce modern day slavery. This company says I owe them money for a car. Their dealership illegally changed the monthly payment after I signed and done it twice. Then the 3 credit bureaus report it a of I lying and these people are honest. Shame on GM Financial and all 3 credit bureaus for trying to enforce the lies this country allows you to. America wouldn't be nothing without the work of other people's backs (**).

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

FRAUD. I have never had an account with GM Financial but yet they did an ACH withdrawal from my account. I called to talk with customer service about the transaction to get a clear understanding and the Specialist they transferred me to name Tasha had to be the rudest person I have ever talked to before in my life. All I want is the money you took from me back or at least a transaction number. She stated she couldn't tell me where my money was applied to because the company is so big. Even though I gave her the transaction number she couldn't tell me anything. I will get a lawyer and subpoena all records for this payment. I wouldn't if I needed a car loan ever in life.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

GM Financial has started harassing me because I was late on a few payments. They called every day three four times a day. They call when you're at work. They call and hang up the call and sit on your voicemail and don't say anything. They report false information to the credit bureau. They do not correct the mistakes they make. They judge you. They try to tell you that you'll never get a car if you give their ears back. These are a bunch of bored overgrown children with telephone to have nothing better to do but calling her ** working people report false information to the credit bureaus. Never fix anything and never apologize for their mistakes. Anybody interested in class action lawsuit? We need more than 20 people and it can be less than 40. Let's do a class action lawsuit against GM Financial.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

After two leases with no problems their website either failed to register a payment or I did something wrong and 1 payment was missed. They never notified me and when you pay the bill each month it doesn't show the missed payment so I continued to just make my one payment, for 6 months I was reported as being delinquent to the credit bureau but they never notified me. I was unaware and they reported me as missing 6 payments. As soon as I learned about it I made the additional payment but it has killed my credit score and can no longer lease a car. All because I missed 1 payment. GM Financial, how is that fair?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

A good auto loan company is one that you don't have to think much about. GM Financial fits that bill. I am notified 5 days before my payment and emailed a thank you after my payment comes out. It could not be easier and more professional. I am reading about people that have had issues with GM. In most (if not all) cases, it sounds like the customer is complaining about themselves more than the company.

GM runs customer credit when they get a request from one of their dealers. When the customer goes all over creation to different dealers he put everybody to work. They all want to get him a loan and GM gets multiple solicitations. Each deal is a different car with perhaps different rebates and cash down. They have to work every deal. It's not their fault the customer has bad credit or doesn't like the terms. Customers need to take responsibility for their own actions. They are almost always complicit in their problems. Stop blaming the company. The bigger problem is in the mirror.

GM Financial Company Information