1.13/5
Based on 80 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

GM Financial

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

280 GM Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

I moved to a new state over the last 3 weeks and was astonished to find out that GM was reporting my car in "Repossession Status" for not having made a payment since November of 2017. This mistake resulted in me having to pay an extra $1100 deposit for an apartment rental. I talked with GM and they said they would update my credit report to reflect the incorrect information.

GM updating their incorrect reporting does not raise my score back up, nor will it, any time soon. I called and talked with a manager today because I feel I should be compensated for the $1100.00 I had to spend that was purely the result of their inaccurate reporting. I was told that was probably not going to happen because they have to abide by the terms of my loan agreement. I mentioned that GM never gave anyone notice there may be negative impacts on our credit and many people still are unaware of what has happened. I am not sure what will come out of this but I cannot believe this may be allowed and even if they correct the reporting on our credit reports it will talk months to gain back the points we lost.

Original review: April 19, 2018

The end of March I had an email from Credit Karma stating that my credit score had changed because of a missed payment on my GM Financial. This was not true, so I called GM, and after at least 9 phone calls, I was told to email my bank statements to show that I had paid. 5 days went past with absolutely nothing from GM, so I called again and ask why I have not had a reply, oh the lady said, "We don't respond, but we know that you did not miss a payment and we have to get it signed off by one of the management so it can be sent to the credit bureaus." Well 7 days later still nothing. No apologies from GM and no change on my credit score. So now I have to get back on the phone to get this GM ** sorted. Never again will I use GM for my financial needs. They have absolutely no respect for their customer. Stay away from GM!!!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

We leased our third GMC vehicle through GM Financial in April 2017. In July of 2017 they cashed a payment and didn’t apply the funds to our account. After dealing with over ten different people, names and ID numbers recorded, GM was still unable to find our money. We had to go to the bank not once but three times to collect and fax a copy of the cashed check.

We thought this nightmare had ended in November when it seemed the payment was found. Payments continued to be withdrawn from our bank account and cashed on time every month. We received a letter from collections in March and then a REPO notice in April and low and behold since GM changed their billing address without notifying us, once again our payments that have been cashed ON TIME are not being applied to our account. It took a tremendous amount of time and effort to get a supervisor who swore up and down that she would help us and the calls and emails have been continuous for the past few weeks to no avail. Our credit report still reflects late payments and has dropped tremendously in the past weeks. This company is corrupt. Do NOT use this company.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I obtained a loan from GM Financial in September of 2017, a $29,000 loan for $476.99 a month for 72 months. In November of 2017 I requested a payoff amount. Every since I requested the payoff, they have stopped reporting my payments to the credit bureau. It makes me look 5 payments behind on my loan plus my credit report shows me owing $2500 more than I really owe. The company stopped reporting my payments to reduce my credit score so I could not obtain a loan from another company.

This is a huge rip off scam being used by this company. I think an investigation is in order. When I confronted them about the issue, they said they stopped reporting because of "errors". Please stop these people from doing this. It is highly profitable for this company to use this practice because it keeps their customers buried in the same loan and because of the misreporting, it limits customers ability to obtain new loans as their credit scores don't reflect payments made.

Original review: April 11, 2018

If I could give negative stars, I would. I was supposed to receive a call today, 10 April, in regards to a conversation I had with a rep yesterday. I have been trying to get my lease termination due to SCRA since August 10th, 2017. It finally got approved in February 2018, and I turned the vehicle in on February 12, 2018. My vehicle still has not been grounded, and I am showing as overdue for April.

I am refusing to pay any more money as I am owed roughly $240 for the proration of February 2018. Instead, I am still getting billed. This has knocked me down 30 points on my credit report because I purchased a new vehicle on the same day I turned my truck in, February 12, 2018. It has my debt-to-income ratio all jacked up. I am a service member and am deploying soon, and this can negatively affect security clearances with outstanding dues and a high debt-to-income ratio. I have contacted GM Financial numerous times, probably close to 20-30 times to resolve this issue with no luck. I am beyond disappointed with GM Financial and would deter anyone from financing with this department.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: April 10, 2018

After 32 GM cars never again! Unfortunately I leased two Chevys the same day and neither the dealer, AutoNation or GM Financial could handle it. Got a bill 13 months later for a trade in that the dealer was supposed to have paid off. The second lease didn’t exist for five months. Then they erroneously posted two payments that I tried 8 times to correct only to have their collections call me five months later and said it was due. Incompetent hours on hold etc. Never again.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have had my auto loan with GM financial since 2015. Never once have I had a late payment on my credit report. All of a sudden in December when they decided to upgrade their system I was marked with a 60 day late payment on my credit report. Since September 2017 I have been working hard to repair my credit to get a mortgage this year. Well needless to say this company has not reported since December 2017 which in turn looks like I have not made any payments all year 2018. All payments have been made and my account is up to date.

I have called them several times asking to update my credit score. By mysteriously there is no live person to talk to that can fix this. I have called and emailed with no results. This has caused a 100 point drop in my credit score therefore I was denied a mortgage because they fail to report to the credit bureaus. How hard is it to report. Your system has been up and running for months. You have no problem reporting people when they are so called late. This company is terrible and I will never deal with them again. I will continue to report them to as many places as possible until someone sitting in an office clicks a button and updated my credit report and ensures that it is accurate. I have paid off over 10000 in debt in the last six months and saved just as much all for them to single handedly ruin my credit score. What a joke.

Original review: April 8, 2018

WOW!! It is amazing to see these reviews, I thought I was special. I leased a 2015 Tahoe with this company when they first came into existence in 2014. They are formerly AmeriCredit (explains why so messed up). I gave that vehicle back to dealership after lease completion. The dealership decided to purchase that truck from GM financial but instead, they called me collecting on an account that I was done with, reported I gave back and moved on to Ally finance. They reported me 30 days late on a payment that didn't exist! The dealership got in contact with their rep who contacting them to fix. They were supposed to fix and this was 2017 October when I gave truck back, it is 2018 March. It dropped my score in December 30-40 points. I called them, I complained, they kept promising to adjust.

No one person knew what the other was doing! One supervisor told me it was my fault that the truck was returned timely, reported to them, but sat on dealer’s lot. Huh? You all should've picked up! I filed a complaint with Michigan attorney general and I have GM removing the bad reporting 03/8, reporting negative again on 03/21, removing on 3/22 and reported negative again on 04/06. I received papers from Attorney General where GM told them it was corrected last week. And now I am just going to sue them for stress. This is the worst finance company and I have been leasing since 1996, I miss GMAC. This is a subprime company that took over for people with A1 credit and they don't know what they are doing! I still have another truck with them for my son and have 2 years left. I hate that I am still with them! Good Luck to all of you but trust me this place is unorganized and miscommunication is their name!

Original review: April 6, 2018

Not reporting correctly since December 2017. I have called GM repeatedly to get the credit reporting history corrected to no avail. Now I'm told should be corrected April 2018. I'll have to dispute. No way should consumers be affected negatively because a creditor updated their system and had issues. Credit affects our lives.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I selected one star since zero stars was not an option. I bought a new car on Dec 30 2017 and returned my current lease to the dealer. The dealer returned the car to GMF and paid the remaining balance, The payment was credited instead to another lease account that I have. GMF notified me that my lease return charge had not been paid and that I owed the balance. The other lease showed a large payment made and the lease almost paid up. I have been trying for months to get this rectified with no success. So far I have been told how hard it is to do this and also had calls unanswered. It seems impossible to contact someone who can actually deal with the problem. In the meantime I have received 2 bills for more than the buyout amount with no explanation. I have no intention of ever dealing with these people again.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I’m 42. I’ve had many loans. First time with GM Financial. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST COMPANY EVER TO GET A LOAN FROM. DO NOT TRUST GM FINANCIAL. DO NOT GET A LOAN FROM THEM! I got an auto loan. After about 6 months of payments I owed MORE than the loan actually was. They said it was because of the high interest. I refinanced through another company owing 10,000.00 less than GM Financial charged. Yes 10,000.00 less & GM also took money from my bank account twice without my authorization. GM has still never paid me back what they owe me after paying off my auto with them! Again do NOT trust this company or do ANY business with them. You WILL regret it!

Original review: March 27, 2018

They completed a hard pull on my Experian credit bureau and created an alias on my bureau and will do nothing to help me. I've spent days speaking to 9 people at GM Financial and am now speaking to my third person at Experian with zero luck so far. GM Financial may you go bankrupt, yet again, with ZERO help from the Federal Government to bail you out. My Attorney will be in touch! See you in Texas when you are subpoenaed.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I would not recommend using GM Financial to anyone. I leased a 2015 Malibu 3 years ago and immediately signed up for auto-pay. Every month like clockwork the payment came out and for 2 years I went thinking everything was fine. I went to qualify for a lease on a new house and find out my credit has went from a 750 to around 600 and have never missed a payment on anything.

It turns out GM Financial failed to take out the first month's payment and has been dinging my credit for 2 years without contacting me. They claim they corrected the credit problems but my credit has never fully recovered. It is now 3 years later and I turned my lease back in only to have them auto-draft an extra payment the month after I turned my lease in. They refuse to refund me the extra payment and continue to give me problems. I am still fighting with them over the wording on the post-inspection invoice being incorrect. The excess wear and tear protection I paid every month for is being denied due to this dispute in wording. Every aspect of my lease has been a disaster and I would NEVER recommend anyone use them for financing or leasing.

Original review: March 21, 2018

GM Financial has the worst customer service ever. I've sent a check to cover the remaining payments pending on my lease and called twice the 1-800 Customer Support to cancel the recurring payments (auto-pay) and even with that, they pulled the money out from my bank account. The website has no history of last payments and the refund process takes at least 30 days. Avoid this company if you are inclined to do business with some GM dealers.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Leased a truck in Dec of 2017. After three months of trying to set up a reoccurring payment schedule I still have to go online every month to make a single payment. As of this morning I have now talked to over twenty tech people trying to figure out why the website doesn’t work properly. After reading other reviews maybe it’s time to replace the incompetent people responsible for this ridiculous website? Everything associated in any way with GM seems to be a terrible experience for me. My last three vehicles before this truck were Jeep products and that’s what the next one will be.

Original review: March 13, 2018

DON'T LEASE USING GM FINANCIAL!!! I returned my vehicle in very good condition. But, after 4 months, they call me saying that there are issues with the car - dent on the wheel, one tire rating does not match the others (same brand, but different rating), and scratch on the center hubcap. After 4 months!!! They sent the invoice to recovery/collection services. I am force to pay for it to avoid damage to my credit; in addition they are charging me $10 for payment over the phone. WILL NEVER EVER BUY OR LEASE A GM CAR!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

Since GM's big mess of switching their system over... I have been charged the late fee because the system was down... but now I have been being charged this Earn Tax... which is the sales tax... $24.00 more each month. Contacted today on their chat and said there is no time frame for crediting my account and it will not show up on my credit report as not being paid or paid late... because I am not paying this Earn Tax. She assured me is would not show up like that. We shall see... I will be monitoring this closely. I understand things happen... I can't believe this happened to such a big company as GM. But nonetheless... it happened and it sounds like they are trying to make it right, just not as fast as we would like.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I have been dealing with noncustomer service since last August (2017). To recap, we leased a 2016 Buick Encore in July 2016. We had no issues until August 2017 when we received what we thought was an incorrect billing. We contacted them and we were informed the additional $275 added to that statement was for City of Warwick Taxes. I asked them to send us a copy as we had never received a notice like this before. That individual did send a copy of the tax bill and I verified it with our City. My husband's name doesn't appear on that bill only the Vehicle ID and with that information I sent 2 checks in with the next billing statement. I made a copy of the Tax bill and added a separate check for it and then also enclosed a check for our normal payment.

Ever since then, we keep getting robo calls from their computer asking us to call. When I called the first time, I was told I was past Due. I told that individual that that was not possible. She said yes it was because we didn't pay the proper amount. When I asked her to explain she said I was not paying enough. I pay more than what is due each month for the base payment, so that couldn't be possible. She said she went and checked with someone and when she came back she told me it was because I had sent in 2 checks the previous month and it wasn't enough. I told her she needed to go back and research that again because 1 check was for the Base payment and the other was for the tax bill they had previously sent. She said she would document our phone call and have someone contact me the next day.

Since then, I have been receiving robo calls from their computer. I have made 2 more calls to them and spoke to two different individuals Tesha ID#** and her supervisor Hailey ID#** who said to send me a fax with the information and they would put a hold on the robo calls until they got this sorted out and would call me once that had been done. I faxed them on 1/25/2018 at 15:21 pm. As you can see, a lot of time has been used up by me to take care of this situation and it is still happening because I am again getting these random robo calls daily and still getting incorrect bills. I have made a spreadsheet showing all the payments sent to GM from the very first payment.

I also told them that in January they instituted an ACH tracking system for how they handle receiving payments on their end and that apparently doesn't work well either as they informed me this month that I had a late payment reversed because of something on their end (noted on their billing statement-not a live person) but the item they referred to as being late was in fact received from them 5 days earlier than the date they stated. The banks timestamp their receipt of processing withdrawals from a customer's checking and it appears on my checking statement.

I was so exasperated this month that I again sent what they are due and another copy of my spreadsheet for them to refer to with a letter stating that their computer system should recognize when a live person answers the phone not to leave a blanket recording and just send it to a customer service person. Because that is was is happening now with their New and improved computer system. I pay my bills each month, and I have no intention of letting some Giant company tell me otherwise. No customer representative has ever reached out to me directly. That is just poor business practice. I do know that when this lease is up, we are going to go back to Ford products because we do not intend to have to deal with any vehicles that are handled by GM Financial Leasing.

Original review: March 12, 2018

As of March 12, 2018 they are still not giving me an online credit for the payment I made in December 2017 and because of this my entire account if off. I have spoke to about 20 people with GM and still nothing. I can't even pull up my statement for December 2017 on their system. I have now filed a report with the BBB. On their site my account shows past due and I even get past due letters in the mail but fact is I am ahead of the game by being ahead on my payment. I can only hope people read these reviews before using these people to finance your vehicle. I sure wish I had. They have been telling me they are working on getting this fixed since December 2017. It's just an IT thing & should not take 3 months and still nothing. Are they just wanting me to forget that I overpaid them. PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I would give ZERO stars if that was an option. Their customer service agents are rude and not helpful. I called to cancel my auto-payment because my account was paid in full. After speaking to 5 different agents, including 2 supervisors, I was told I could only have verbal confirmation that the auto-pay cancellation took place and a refund requested. They will NEVER get my business again.

Original review: March 5, 2018

This is the worst company to deal with, avoid! I traded my vehicle in on November 17th. The dealership got the payoff and sent the check. GM F cashed the check in December so it's done right? Nope GM F showed me paying 30 days late for January and reported it to the credit agencies. I didn't own the car!!! Now I will have to jump through hoops to get it off of my credit. This was after they sent a blanket email to their customers stating no one will be marked late because they are having billing issues. No more GM F or GM vehicles for this family.

Original review: March 3, 2018

GM Financial is the worst company I have ever dealt with. The past 5 months I have literally been in perdition. Hopefully I can save someone else from the hassle of dealing with a... ** company!! I’ve learned that auto loans can be easy/hard to come by. I suggest to shop around. Review the product. Most of the times interest rates are based off credit scores. A company can make it sound like a great deal, leaving you to believe there is no other option/bank willing to do the same. There are many companies willing to work/help. I purchased an auto loan a couple years ago through GM financial. No issues. No complaints. I eventually traded off the vehicle for a new shiny object. I decided to go through a different bank; with a better interest rate.

A another year went by, my husband decided to purchase a new truck. We decided to work with GM financial. As they helped me in the past (loan/boost in credit score/etc). Life happened! Eventually life ended in a repo. Huge dive in credit score (as it should be. That happens). We couldn’t afford the remainder of the auction balance, or whatever/however that crap works. We tried working out a payment plan. Negative results. And, lack of advice. Besides... “Should have made your payments”… yea I know, wish I wasn’t laid off and making less on my unemployment.

Time goes on… Life turns around. We can pay our dues in large monthly installments. Not good enough. GM financial takes us to court and sues for the balance. (We are not opposed of the situation by any means. We messed up. Take full responsibility. And, fought to get back on top.) GM financial won in court. My husband and I did not even try to fight it. We offered monthly installments. They wanted to go after our tax returns. Whatever. Take them. We can wash our hands and be done. This is May of 2017.

My husband and I decided to save those “large monthly payments” and pay off the debt collector/law firm before tax season rolled around. Mission accomplished!! We ALL (GM financial, Debt collector/lawyer included) agreed on a settled lump sum amount. Payment went through on 10/30/17. Submitted to the courthouse and signed off that we are free and clear. I thought “life” would move on.

WRONG!!! Can’t buy a vehicle. Can’t buy a house. Can’t even get a credit card to JCPenny lol. Credit score is fair. So… problem... There is a huge debt on our credit report. (Yes, I waited for the full 30-60 day bullcrap time to update the system) GM financial refuses to update the credit agencies. I called in December 2017. GMF said they will update, as they have a zero balance on their end. They update the wrong info. Stating there is a remanding balance. I called GM financial in January 2018. Zero balance. I asked for a letter stating this information. Never came. Still reporting to the credit agency that we are in default. February comes and GM financial is still screwing me around. Falsely reporting. (They could easily report the account closed and settle in less than full… along with their negative missed payment reports. Maybe, report the correct info??).

I have disputed this issue with all 3 credit agencies. GMF is MIA. No dispute back. Kinda burnt out. I decided to hire someone (Great credit repair company!!) I submitted every court document (GMF lawyer/debt collector provided me with every piece of paper I need to fight this) bank statement, and phone records (hours on “hold” and being jacked around).

Not sure how the court of law works, but it would be nice to countersue. Isn’t that what people do know of days?? (Sarcastically speaking) I had to pay their fees for my mistake. The lost of the remainder balance of the auction. Their lawyer/court fees. They should pay me back for fixing their end of the deal ???? I recommend researching a company before purchasing a product. Wish I would have years ago. I did not realize GMF is full of 1 star reviews. Today, I was just “Google stalking” GMF, while soaking my sorrows in a cup of coffee. Thought I could add my bad experience to the list.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Ever since GM Financial updated their website, every time I log into my account, it shows that we are past due. This is not correct. I have been making payments to them ever since I have this loan. I split my payments and actually make more of payment than is what required. They are not reflecting my payment for the current month. I have called so many times and they say it is going to be corrected -- WHEN? I do not know what they are doing with my money. I am not past due. How can a business run like this. SEEMS LIKE A BREACH OF CONTRACT TO ME.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

GM is horrible. Worst company ever. They never answer the phone. Never call you back. Their website is all messed up. They are rude. No help! I can't even get someone to call me back about money of mines they have. I sent them a check and they have it holding in some account. Worst car loan place ever.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

GM Financial continuously reports my account as 30 days late to credit bureaus even though every payment is made on time through their website. I’ve tried many times to get them to fix this but I wait on hold for over an hour and then somehow get disconnected.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Leased a Trax with them via Ghent Motor in Greeley, CO. Was told by Ghent that a loan was in place for about $450...loan was never approved. GM Financial took back the Trax for nonpayment at the dealership despite a perfect payment history and pushed through a 500+ mo loan for the vehicle I had traded it in for...so it is difficult for me to be financed. Ghent will not produce paperwork and GM Financial will not correct credit reports. I'm working with a legal firm to have GM update my reports. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I am new to GM Financial. My first payment was due during the time GM Financial website was down as they were reconstructing it and there was no way to contact them via the website or by phone. While attempting to log in while the website was down, it stated the website would re-open on 1/5/18. My first payment was due on 1/8/18 so I planned on making the payment on the 5th. When I went to log in on the 5th to make the payment, the website was still down and customer service was still not available by phone. I had no other choice but to mail my payment via USPS overnight. So now I had to purchase a money order and pay the nearly $24 for overnight delivery.

When I called GM Financial to explain what had happened and ask to be reimbursed for the overnight delivery fee, I was put on hold for what seemed like eons just to have them tell me that's not their policy to refund delivery fees (even though they were at fault) and I should have known my payment could be 10 days late. I told the representative I had no way of knowing that, no one was available to speak to and why would I want my payments, especially my first one to be late! Horrible customer service. I will be searching for another financial institution to switch to.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Was trying to take over a friend's lease, because I was desperate for a vehicle. When they sent me the credit application, not only did they send ME the wrong forms, but they sent her the wrong ones as well. They also drag the process out just to tell me I was not approved. Besides the credit application, I was never contacted by GM Financial, and had to be updated through said friend. I find this leasing agency to be very unprofessional and I will not be doing business with them in the future.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had an issue where I had made payment arrangement for late payments. I called in and made the final one and gave the customer service rep my confirmation number. That same day they took out another payment which made my account overdrawn. I had asked them to return the money and would not. So I had to have my bank take It back. They now won't let me use that checking account and each time I ask for assistance they are about as helpful as rock setting at the bottom of the ocean. I will never use them again even if they are the only place that is available to get a loan. They have lost my business forever.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

The GM Financial Payment Process is horrible. They use a third party vendor and if you don't log in the day before your payment is due you cannot even auto pay your bill. Furthermore they charge you late fees for any missed payments. If you can use a third party lender for any car other than GM Financial - really is a bad experience.

GM Financial Company Information