1.11/5
Based on 98 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

GM Financial

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

314 GM Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I purchased a vehicle from AMA Cars in Trevose, PA on December 27, 2017. As of March 28th, my lender (GM Financial) did not receive the title on this vehicle and I have not been able to register or drive it. We received the registration in April. However, AMA cars have not held up its end of the bargain as far as getting the check engine problem fixed and he provided a receipt of "we owe." After we filed a complaint with consumer complaint he went into action. On April 17th he called and agreed to take a look at why check engine light was on for 3 months. He told me to take it to Grand Prix Auto. I took the vehicle on April 18th at 3:00 pm. I left my vehicle and my witness came to pick me up. I kept in contact with Michael the owner of Grand Prix. He assured me he was going to fix the check engine and check on the issue.

I communicated with Mike daily, when it was time to pick up my car Mike also said I have a massive leak in the front of the engine. On the April 23rd I picked up my vehicle with an attachment of a nightmare, because Mike tried to charge me $55.00 for maintenance. When I refused, he said was not releasing my vehicle. My witness and I had to call the police to get my vehicle back, as well as call Mitch. When I contacted Mitch, he communicated with Mike to release the car and he will pay for everything. He also stated he will investigate and take care of why the check engine like is staying on.

After this ordeal it has been very difficult to get in contact with Mitch. He has been giving me the runaround. And nothing has been resolved. I contacted him today and he stated he would fix the problem. I believe it is too late. As of May 5th I had to tow my car to his dealership, because I was informed that my car died. I have a warranty that is not helpful and a dealership who sold me a vehicle that stop working after 3 1/2 to 4 month. And I know is a law against that, I am not sure where to start. Hopefully your agency can lead the way. I want to continue be proactive in my complaint filing.

I have now found the dealership and I drove the car to the location with a promise he would provide a loaner. I drove an hour to his location and no vehicle was provided. I am paying for a vehicle I cannot drive. Because it was faulty and dangerous. I almost died, because my vehicle stopped in the middle of the road. And with my belief system in Mitch who sold me the car to drive. And he assured me it was going to be okay. It left me stranded for 3 hours.

After I got my vehicle back after a month. When he returned my car on May 28th, my key fob was damaged. He had me take it to BMW to get it diagnosed and it was the shifter out of place. Because it was so expensive, he didn't want to get it fixed there. So, he agreed he would get his mechanic to fix it, it is now June 17th and the battery light is on and my car make a loud screeching noise. This was my first car and I have been hoodwinked. He had I regret I buying a vehicle from this establishment. If you do, you will be stuck paying a car note on a Lemon. And my car will night pass inspection in July. Every time I get my car back within days it breaks down again. And I back to chasing Mitch to keep up with his promise in writing that he will fix my car. It is now June 26th and he still has my vehicle. I had 12 tow incident from January 2018 until June 2018.

It is now July 2nd and my vehicle is still being held by AMA Cars. He said he is getting the vehicle fixed and he has not be communicative. I reached out to him on Friday June 30th. And he has not responded. It is now July 12th and I am still without a vehicle. And I am afraid he will not fix the vehicle correctly. At this point I am in fear of driving the vehicle if he doesn’t fix the oil leak correctly and the alternator belt along with the shifter. As of now the vehicle is now down again. And the warranty that came with the vehicle is not valid.

The issue is still ongoing. And I don’t believe it will change. The vehicle is still with the dealer. And I am not getting any resolution. As of today I am still without a vehicle it is July 25th. He is doing patchwork on the vehicle instead of getting it fixed correctly. I need to be pointed in the right direction. I want this issue resolved. He constantly make promises he doesn’t keep. His business should be cited. His practices and ethics are incorrigible. I received a violation on the 6/18/2018 on my vehicle and I didn’t have possession of my vehicle. I no longer want to do business with him or should I be responsible for a loan. I have approach him on several occasions. I am losing money due to the horrific experience with this vehicle. It is hard to make ends meet. I am losing a lot of money, I travel for work and without a vehicle I have not been able to get to my jobs.

My loan is with GM Financial Acct. #**. I want to get out from under this untenable situation but do not want to end up with a repossession on my credit file. As of now I still don’t have possession of my vehicle, because it will not pass inspection. The dealership has finally provided with a loaner that has 167000 and it is 2006 BMW. I cannot get to my jobs in certain area I travel. And my local jobs don’t cover all my expenses. I have been working closely with GM about my issue. The car is a lemon, and I believe it is beyond repair. If you repossess it you will get a broken shifter, broken key and fob and engine that leaks oil.

I can’t believe GM Financial would even work with a dealership like this. At this point I am search of legal help to seek damages and class action suit against GM Financial and AMA Cars. I am not sure what to do next. I want to be released from the loan, without a repossession. And I don’t want it to show up for as a repossession. I want to be reimbursed for all my car payments and my 2005 Beetle that I paid $7000.00 for and they only took the trade for $2000. And also for lost wages at work which was 4,000.00. I used vehicle for work. I am a traveling stylist and I need a consistent running vehicle. This vehicle has been a nightmare. He keeps giving me broken promises in writing and they are not getting fulfilled. It has impacted my finances and mental anxiety of my car constantly breaking down. I would like to sue for lost wages and mental stress. And plus the value of the car $16,000.00.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Daughter and I had loan on a car, car was vandalized and totaled out. Our insurance paid the car and there was a balance left of $1599. We realized we never filed a claim with Gap insurance so we did that and it took a little time to get a response and they said they're not paying anything because we had deferred payments which was the remaining balance. My daughter deferred 2 payments, GM is giving different answers about the balance. One customer service rep claims the 2 deferred payments count as 4, another customer service rep told me she deferred 4 payments total.

Meanwhile they reported the loan 60 days late and after trying to explain the reason we didn't make any payments (the Gap insurance issue), they refuse to withdraw the 60 day late when told I will pay the $1599 right away. I'm at my wit's end as to how to find out how many deferred payments my daughter actually made and why the total is $1599. Also want to have the 60 day late removed otherwise if that is going to sit on my credit for years to come, why should I bother paying the balance at all. On top of all of that they had me on hold 1.5 hours, I finally get someone to try to pay the balance and she tells me they will charge me money to pay the balance on the automated system, W T F??? Horrible, horrible company, would NEVER EVER, with a gun to my head, buy a car and finance through them. If anyone can help me figure out what to do, email me '**'. Thanks.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Involved in an accident in a leased GM vehicle. Vehicle declared a total loss and promptly paid off lease by Geico insurance to GM Financial as the lienholder. All the funds were paid in one check, including the excess amount which is to be used for the down payment on a new car. GM Financial says they will be holding the funds until 60 days while it clears their "accounting department". Seriously? I will be without a car for 60 days while they take their sweet time. If I was 60 days late with my lease payment they would be sending me letters, calling me, reporting me to credit agencies, and ruining my credit. But if GM Financial is late 60 days they suffer no consequences.

This is my second leased GM vehicle. I was going to lease a third GM vehicle, but I am now seriously reconsidering this option if I have to deal with this spurious outfit again. What gives GM Financial? You promptly cashed the check from Geico weeks ago. I would expect a reasonable turnaround of 2 weeks to process, not 8. Just pay me my money now!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Leased a Chevy Cruze June 2016 in Santa Fe New Mexico under a 2 year, 30,000 mile contract for $240 a month. July 2017 my business opportunity in New Mexico went away and moved the lease car back to Illinois and tried to get the required paperwork to get Illinois License Plates. GM Financial online Messaging Service just gave incorrect information and I had to repeatedly call the service desk at 800-369-5212. The service desk kept giving me the runaround until December 2017, I finally asked for a supervisor and was able to get the paperwork I needed to Illinois license plate. I honestly believe that GM Financial did this on purpose to reduce the miles at end of lease.

During this time I prepaid my lease so that at the end of 2017, I had paid all the monthly payments. At the end of the lease I turned in the car with 25,000 miles giving GM back 5,000 on a 30,000 lease contract. A couple weeks later I get a GM Financial letter saying I owe $423.50, I was flabbergasted - so I called the GM support number 800-369-5212 and they told me the charge was because I did not get a new GM Lease or buy a GM Product and that was part of the lease contract. (I find this very deceptive - I was not aware of this clause.)

I complained that I had prepaid the lease and turned it back in with 5,000 mile less than what the lease contract allow, mostly due to the fact that I could not get the Illinois License Plate due to GM Financial lack of support. They agreed to reduce the amount to $100 and promised to send a letter and a email which I did not receive. I kept calling asking for the letter and they kept telling me that they had sent it twice. At the beginning of August 2018, I check my credit scores and find that they dipped from 825 to 803 and could not understand why until I check the details and found that GM Financial had reported to the three credit bureau that I had a one time monthly payment of $423 as of 12/31/2017. What is frustrating is that GM Financial could not have known that I was not going to renew my lease of buy a GM Product on 12/31/2017 as I still had 6 more months left on the lease.

I immediately call the GM Financial Help Desk and told them about the issue. They told me that I was always in late in my payments and to take the matter up with the credit bureau. To maintain my credit score I paid the $423 through the Western Union Call in Payment Option on Tuesday August 7th, 2018 and then called the GM Financial Help Desk again to complain this time that promised that all I owed was the $100 and on Wed August 8th, 2018 I finally got the letter and would get a $323 refund.

After I made sure my $423 Payment had cleared I called GM Financial at their Lease Loss Recovery Unit 855-719-9688 on Wed August 8th, 2018 and was told I had to wait 48 hours from my Tuesday call for a resolution. After the 48 hours was up I call again Thursday Aug 9th, 2018 to see the status, I was passed from the Lease Loss Recovery Unit to the Refund Unit only to be told that the Lease Loss Recovery Unit had not processed the refund and said that because I did not pay the $100 before Aug 1st 2018 the total reverted back to $423. After reading other review on ConsumerAffairs, I believe that these practices are part of the normal culture and business practices for GM Financial. You would do well to stay away.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

December of 2017 payments were not processed and shown late on my credit for 3 months, dropping my score significantly. Was told it was due to them changing systems and it had affected numerous individuals. July 2018, turned my lease in and leased a new vehicle with GM, received higher payment due to credit scores being lower than I showed. They, GM, agreed to give the better tier because of them being the only late payments showing on my credit. Now a month later I have received 2 letters showing they could not approve me for my lease I have been driving for a month. I WANT OUT, they can have my lease back. They have pulled my credit 5 TIMES in 1 month. Im disgusted with this company. My grandmother retired from GM years and years ago... she would be disgusted as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I try to make a long story short: our GMC Yukon lease ended beginning May 2018; this lease contract is signed together with a co-signee, so far. I had several calls with GM FL and received all details on how to proceed the buy off of our truck. All set on that. Went in time to the dealer, he called GM FL; all details OK at this moment. He prepared all documents, I made the full payment of the residual value, incl. sales taxes! The amount was financed, all set. The dealer sent his dealer check to GM FL, they received the check on May 10, 2018; the check was cashed just one day later May 11, 2018; I got copies of both the received check and the cashed check! You may ask why...?

I got several letters “you have to return the truck, etc. etc.” and I have to either pay the rate or extend the lease. I had several call to customer service and every time I received the same response: "WE DO NOT SEE ANY PAYMENT FROM ANY DEALER! We are sorry!" So, first payment due, second payment due and overdue and so on; the best now: NOTICE OF DEFAULT, RIGHT TO CURE, AND INTENT TO REPOSSESS! This is the second letter with that headline; I received this second letter August 3, 2018, dated August 1, 2018, showing me overdue payments, a total of more than $1,500.00 to be paid latest Sept 4, 2018, telling me on pain of penalties what will happen. These letters are issued from GM FL Collection Department!

So what can I do??? I received a letter from GM FL Recovery Department, dated August 15, 2018 confirming that “...THE ACCOUNT HAS BEEN PAID IN FULL AS OF 6/15/2018...” At least 5 weeks after GM FL cashed the check! Good news? Yes and no as I received another call just 3 days later from Customer Service, there is no payment, what do I want to do with the truck, returning or...? And now, 6 weeks later, I receive ongoing the mentioned letter, immediate call and reach finally Collection Department, and the lady could confirm that she cannot see any payment in their system (WHICH SYSTEM? There is NO system!).

At the end of a one hour call, explaining that both my co-signee and my credit history dropped extremely, the worst experience I ever had, with the information that she apologizes for all what happened (do we get a higher credit score for that?) and asked to call back this week Friday August 10, 2018. I keep you updated; any recommendation what to do, how, etc. really welcome! BTW: I did not receive any title yet; the first one GM FL sent to the dealer had to be returned by the dealer to GM FL as it was the title of my other truck (GM Silverado).

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

GM Financial has damaged my credit. From August until November of 2016, GMF reported to TransUnion, Equifax and Experian that I was "on time" with my payments for a car loan. However, GMF reported I was late in December 2016 and January 2017. For a loan supposedly opened in August 2016? Trouble is: I DID have a GMF loan in 1994 and it was paid off a decade ago! I found out the VIN for the car in question. It was involved in a California "lemon law" lawsuit! GMF was forced to take it back! But best of all: I was never in possession of the vehicle in question... EVER. I never even physically touched the vehicle in the erroneous GMF report! Plus, I never paid GMF on the loan they were reporting! This was never my loan!

The report that I was "on time" with payments was incorrect also, again, I never paid GMF on the loan they were reporting to the credit bureaus! I did and still do have a loan from a CREDIT UNION, for a car of a completely different year and manufacturer than GMF claims! I opened that one and only vehicle loan in the SPRING of 2016 with a CREDIT UNION, not GMF. I never asked GMF for a loan on my car, I applied with my Credit Union only! I have not owned two vehicles since a divorce in 2014. TransUnion has removed the erroneous GMF report from my credit report, however the other two "clown" credit bureaus refuse. GMF is of no help.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I've had a horrible experience with the UX on GM Financial. A misunderstanding on GM Financial's online billing page over the course of several months led to two bad marks on my credit score, even though I tried to pay in a timely manner and had the funds to do so. Over the course of 2-3 months, when I went to pay and finally got to the payment page, the website said my balance due was $0.00, which was confusing. I received no (zero, none, nil) communication from GM Financial that I had outstanding payments due, either by email, phone, or mail.

When I confronted customer service about this they claimed they would not remove the delinquency payments because I had other avenues to pay, which I was unaware of because GM Financial had not done their job as a company and reminded me that I had payments due. Additionally, I have had to schedule monthly payments three different times in order for it to work. Very bad website, cost me a good credit score. Leaves me with a bad taste about GM Financial and I'd be hard pressed to return to the company after my lease and I'd encourage other potential customers to choose other auto companies as well.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Watch out when leasing, GM Financial has a very high lease termination fee. I compared to other makes equal in value and they are half the amount! If it were for the fact that I waited 2 months to order this vehicle (Cadillac Escalade) I would have told GM to you know what... No upfront disclosure, wait for the order and get jammed in the F&I office. Many reasons I find GM full of themselves!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

I leased a Buick through GM but returned it to purchase a new Chevy Equinox. Both the lease and the new purchase were through GM Financial. I thought I canceled my auto pay for the leased Buick but for some reason it did not take and it took $308 from my account. I immediately contacted GM and inquired if there was a possibility to move the funds as a payment toward the new vehicle. I was told it was possible, but would take 5-7 days to process. This was 6/28/18. On 7/7/18 I called again to see what the status of the transfer was only to be told that the first rep screwed up the transfer. This rep once again told me that she would process the request and it would take 5-7 days for the payment to transfer.

My new car payment was due 7/10/18 and she said I had a 10 day grace period so that I would have plenty of time for the funds to be moved. On 7/19/18, I called yet again. This person told me that a call had been placed to my husband on 7/17/18 and that it would take 30-45 days for the payment to be moved and that I needed to make a separate payment for the new vehicle ($375). I was upset... They already had my money in another account, and it astounded me that it would take so long when we live in a digital world. I asked to speak with a manager and was, after a several minute waiting period, transferred to the "manager's" voicemail. I requested someone contact me, but never heard back.

After leaving my message, I called my husband to see if he received such phone call and he said he didn't. There was not even an unknown number on 7/17/18 (It was his work number and he answers all his calls). I left a message on GM's financial complaint website on 7/19/18 (after speaking with my husband) asking them to honor the original timeframe that I heard from not one, but two individuals, or start the 30-45 day process retroactive to my first call. RADIO SILENCE. I left another message on their complaint website on 7/24/18 and still nothing. I will never, ever do business with GM Financial again. Their customer service is horrendous.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I never had any problems with GM Financial - they always were very helpful. Today I called 800-284-2271 and spoke with Michelle. This is the worst ever customer service representative! She did not pay attention to what I am saying (it seemed like she was reading something and didn't listen to me). I asked a simple question: I am moving back to CA. My lease ended and I returned my Tahoe to the dealer. I did not received a bill with disposition fee yet. I asked when it will be sent because the post office where I live is not forwarding mails well - I still receive mails for previous tenant! I just need to know if I will receive it before I moved out or later.

She was bossy and not helpful at all. She did not offer me an option, just interrupted me in a very bossy way! Really? I ended up by OFFERING A SOLUTION! This is not acceptable! I did not get any help from a person who should be interested in helping me, a customer! I was thinking about getting a new Tahoe but will not. I do not believe I deserve such an attitude only because my lease is ended. Very disappointing... Thanks for ruining my day, GM Financial!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I turned in my lease 4 months early. The dealer stated I only had one payment left, which didn't make sense, and told me I would receive a refund from GM Financial when the car sold. I have been calling GM Financial constantly and their customer service is beyond awful. I requested a fax of my payment history and I received a cover page and no other data. When I called back, I was told that they don't fax that information and that it would need to come in the mail. I receive it and it clearly showed 2 overpayments made throughout the lease.

So, no one bothered to even check my payment history during my first 5 calls and then I was told, they received all of their payments so I need to get the reimbursement from the dealer. It is clear, I made 2 overpayments and I am out about $800 and they refuse to help me in any way, shape or form. I even reached out to the Corporate offices of GM Financial and they wanted nothing to do with the issue. I will NEVER lease with GM Financial again.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I traded in my Lease in December 2017 and still have not received my final billing. I've called at least 50 times each time promising to get answers and not once not one person has helped me out of the 50 times + I've called. I will NEVER use GM Financial again, and will always hold a negative persona of the organization. No one wants to help me and all I wanted was a closeout letter. I finally got an email today 7-16-18 that said I was behind on payments on a lease I no longer have. How does that happen? Then I called and was told I owed $800 and a supervisor would call me back. It's been 2 days and I still haven't got a call back. The first attendant I talked to said I owed $18.00 the second time I was transferred it was $400 and the third $800, how come no one knows anything yet they're charging me anyways. I'm expected to pay $800 for car I traded in as a lease back in December of last year?

Not one person at GM Financial has been helpful or nice to talk to and I will never recommend them to anyone. I would never want anyone else to go through this for trading in a simple lease. It has been nothing but a horrible experience every time I reach out to them and I am no closer to an answer now then I was 166 days ago!! VERY VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I would rather take a higher interest rate from a reliable bank than ever using them again. DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Original review: July 10, 2018

On my Chevy Volt lease, I got the statement with wrong amount and called the company, they confirmed that it's correct. I paid as per the statement. And now they have reported to all credit agencies about late payment? Messed up my credit history. I am sure that I am not the only one affected? Looking for solution.

Original review: July 6, 2018

One Star is one star too many. -10 Star. GM Financial has completely botched my Excellent Credit Score with the horrible management of this financial Company. Their invoices for our truck lease started arriving in January with the wrong amount on it. Much lower. 5% of the total amount. We thought we’d overpaid so we paid the amount invoiced. Find out later after they botched my credit score their software was the reason and this continued for 4 months. We tried countless times to call them starting in January and when you requested to speak to a representative on the automated menu the phone line immediately hung up on us. Over and over and over for 3-4 months.

In April I started getting calls on my cell phone from Arlington TX but they’d never leave a message!! Why would you not leave a message? After a month of this I answered one day. IT WAS GM FINANCIAL. It’s now May. They can call me but I can’t call them? They told me that they had software issues and I had a letter explaining it. Since January. The letter was difficult for me to understand. I tried to call for clarity. That’s not happening. Hung up on. Told them I paid the invoice amount for 3 months and finally started paying full amount in April plus the difference for those 3 months because I couldn’t get ANYONE ON THE PHONE. She asked when I’d have the full amount current. Told her by the time my May payment was due the entire account would be current. This was 3 weeks before it was due and I gave her the amounts and dates. Everything was going to be paid.

Please remember I’m still receiving invoices for 5% of the actual payment. But I’m now paying up knowing full well it was all going to come back and be due someday?!? She told me GM wasn’t reporting to the credit bureaus through all of this because of the mess GM had created on their own. But none of this would affect my credit score. Liars. I’m now shown late April and May although the full payments were all made for those months plus additional payments in advance.

Dropped my score over 60 points!! Was promised by representative that my score would not be affected.

GM Financial President Bob Beatty also promised in a press release in Automotive News that no customers would be affected by this debacle. Again...liar. Really wanted a new GMC Terrain for my wife. For more than one reason we didn’t...but the primary reason was GM Financial. Now in a new Mazda CX-5. Buyers beware of who’s financing your GM purchase. Really a horrible mess in that outfit.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I paid off my GM Financial loan in February of 2018. After a recent review of my credit report I noticed my loan was not reflecting paid off. A customer service representative shared they started a new system in December and no reporting has taken place since then. She shared that June 16th was the day reports went out to credit agencies. Seems peculiar they would wait 6 months. I would not recommend GM Financial in the future. They make their problems yours.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have made several attempts to clarify my statement (I'm current with my account 2016 Silverado). I leased this truck in Buffalo NY and moved to Florida. My monthly lease payment increased $31.00 /month. The problem? My original payment was $451.00 /month which included NY tax. Since I moved to Florida my lease tax rate increased to 7% in addition to the 4%...I cannot get anyone from GMF to respond to how they calculated this.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I paid off my loan and wanted to get the title as quickly as possible. I logged into the GM Financial site and used the Messenger service to talk with Joseph about getting my title sent next day FedEx at my expense. He assured me that it would not be a problem if I created a FedEx account and sent and address to cxo.resolution@gmfinancial.com with my FedEx account number and request that they send it to me next day service. The title was released June 23 with a send date of June 27. Come June 27 FedEx had no record of any shipment to my home. Again on Messenger center with Mallory he told me that because the Title department had to pull the title and send it FedEx (non standard shipper) so the send date was postponed to June 28.

Again, on June 28 FedEx had no record of a shipment to me. Talked with Korina the next day and she assured me it would be sent no later than the next day. Like a recurring nightmare FedEx had no record of the shipment and I was informed by Necolette that it would be several days as the Release Department and the Title Department worked final details before they would send it. Later that day I was told it was shipped at 2PM. Chorus line: FedEx had no record of anything shipped to me. At no time during all of this was a tracking number provided, even when I requested it several times.

Either the Messenger assistants were deliberately lying to me or they were being told to do so by their management. Being lied to is not my idea of good customer service. Unfortunately, I am at the mercy of GM Financial and their cynical attitude. My recommendation is to not use GM Financial if you can avoid them. If they will lie to you on a daily basis they do not deserve your business.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Company applied my April payment (made in March 2018) to late fees. After speaking with several customer service and supervisors they acknowledge their mistake and stated it would take up to 45 days for my account to be adjusted. I paid May payment in April. Due to their error they reported incorrect information to all three credit companies which drop my score over 60 points. I finally received a follow up call from a supervisor whom states that they can't readjust my account (after they told me they would), she acknowledged error was due to their new billing system and offer me a deferment to catch my account up. Due to this company system problems they have caused a great strain in my life, hurt my credit and placed me a financial strain. Supervisor was not polite at all and really told me it was nothing that they can do.

Original review: June 20, 2018

My wife and I bought a new 2014 Chevy Silverado on Nov 2014. We financed through GM Financial. We paid this vehicle off in February of 2018. A month later we noticed that it was still showing up on the credit bureaus as being an open account. Called and were lied to saying GM would turn it in as closed/ paid. Called GM every week or two and received the same lie from them. We just called today again (June 20, 2018) and we’re told that they GM had just reported to the bureaus on June 16th that the account was closed/ paid off. We will see. GM Financial is a scam and horrible to deal with. Guarantee if you missed a payment they would have reported it next day. Will never do Business with them again and would suggest nobody does.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I recently was able to purchase a 2018 Chevy Cruze which I'm very proud of. However I pay all my bills on my phone through online apps. When I went to go pay my first car payment to GM Financial I accidentally hit the wrong button twice and the computer thought I was paying for two months. As soon as that called and talked to the lady right after I did it. I explained to her that I accidentally hit the button twice. I wasn't sure it went through the first time and I wanted to make sure it went through so I called and the lady I talked to you was supposed to cancel it out but when I called back she managed to leave no notes about that part. So needless to say when I called back there was no notes of her canceling it and then they pulled it out the second time which put me negative $425 in my bank account plus the $35 overdraft charge.

I called GM Financial once again and said I just called the week ago about this all. "We can't do nothing. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I said, "Yes." I said, "But now I got a $35 overdraft charge. I'm negative in my bank account." I said, "I have other bills that need to be ** paid that cannot get paid now." "Oh I apologize. It's not our fault on our end so we can't reimburse it." A week later after numerous phone calls they did it again and cost me another 400 something and yet another $35 overdraft charge. Mind you that's 70 bucks in 2 weeks coming from a guy that just bought a 2018 car and lives paycheck-to-paycheck. So the final phone call today was basically tapsilog, "Sorry we can't do it. It's not our fault," and I find it extremely pathetic that a company is willing to ruin a relationship over $70 that they can reimburse after numerous phone calls tell him what happened.

I somehow need to find out if I can switch finance companies or get the car with a credit union. I don't want to deal with GM Financial no more. I think they're scumbags. I think they're ripoffs. Over 70 bucks they're going to lose a customer and the part that pisses me off I called numerous times since the day I hit that button twice. It wasn't like I let it go for a month and then brought it up. I called numerous times from the day I did it and I pretty much got the same thing sorry without saying that you're pretty much ** is their attitude. I would recommend nobody going to GM Financial. If you're with them run. I'm going to try to.

Original review: June 19, 2018

GM Financial reported that I missed 2 payments which I did not. In December 2017 I made 2 payments. They asked if I wanted it the second payment applied to principal. I later changed my mind and asked if it could be applied towards my January payment. No one could answer my question, They were going through their computer upgrade and stated someone would get back to me. I called several times, spoke to different representatives who all state they would get back with me. I finally went ahead and made my payment. After 30 days I was advised I would not be able to reverse payment. GM Financial’s inaccuracies has hurt my credit score tremendously. My score went down 30 points.

Original review: June 18, 2018

GM Financial has had reporting issues since Dec of 2017 when they acquired a new system. GM reported my account as 1 payment behind before their system went down and "stopped" reporting as they were having issues with their system. This issue caused incorrect reporting to all three of the major credit agencies. TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. All three bureaus were showing I hadn't made a payment on my account since November of 2017 in the months of Jan- May 2018. This killed my credit score! After speaking to numerous reps at their "Corporate" office and going back and forth for months, being told the problem should be fixed in 2 weeks I don't know how many different times and filing disputes with all three credit bureaus to prove my account was current and payment had been made things FINALLY seemed to be showing correct with the Credit Bureaus.

Fast forward about a month, Around May 22nd when they finally started reporting again to the bureaus... And my account is showing a zero balance with one of the agencies with a CLOSED/SOLD status. It shows they sold my account and I am in default! I found this out when I applied for a home loan and my credit took a dive again! This has been an absolute nightmare! Now I have to dispute with the credit bureau AGAIN. I did speak with a rep from GM Financial who assured me they would get a letter out right away - I can't wait to see how long it takes to get it this time. This has caused me so much extra stress in my life. If anyone has contacted an attorney please advise as I would love to make them accountable for the stress and headache this has caused in my life.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Chevrolet since 2006. I made the mistake of going to a different dealership closer to my home to lease my 2017 Trax. When I took out my lease in July the company was called the Acar company. Then apparently there was a transfer of accounts to GM Financial. In the process of this account payments were credited and deleted just one giant mess. I was told in numerous letters that the process of transferring was done and that my account was in good standing only to be told later that I had apparently missed a payment. At that time I was told that I missed a payment in Nov. Dec. and now that the payment was actually missed in March. No one seemed to know the truth and I became very upset because I have been a customer for years and never had a late or missed payment.

As I was trying to get this all straightened out and make my payments this company decided to ruin my credit by reporting my account overdue when in fact it was their fault that this problem had started in the first place. This company does not care about their loyal customers and has destroyed the credit of many which seems to be its only goal. As an NJEA member and a hard working person I will no longer deal with this company or Chevrolet. I will let my fellow union members know to be very careful if they have a need to deal with these two horrible companies.

Chevrolet is suppose to be about the hard working person and by watching their commercials you could almost believe it but buyer or leaser please beware of this money hungry credit destroying conglomerate that prey on the backs of the hard working Americans. Shame on Chevrolet and Bravo to GM Financial for showing their true colors to the American people. Hopefully this review will keep others from making the mistake that I made when I walked into that dealership.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have been called repeatedly and told I did not make payments when I in fact did. I spoke to the rudest customer service representative today who couldn't have cared less about trying to be kind, been left on hold countless times, and promised the calls would stop, but they don't. Looking into moving my lease to a different company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

GM Financial has no respect for their customer. Since December 2017 they have not reported any payments made to the credit bureaus which in turns lowers my credit score. I have called multiple times about this and the only response is, "We are working on this" and to "give us 6 weeks", which was 3 weeks ago. This is unacceptable for a so called reputable company. Are there any legal steps I can take to resolve this matter as credit scores mean everything for the working class in this country??

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been trying to get a 2nd lien released for years/weeks. It was originally released in 2014 and multiple letters have been mailed and faxed to these people with no resolve. I have spent countless hours of my time on the phone only to get the runaround and wrong information and "we are having system issues so I cannot help you right now." In the last 3 weeks I have called almost everyday trying to get this resolved. The first time I was told that no mailed copy of lien release had been received even though it had been mailed over 2 weeks prior. Then was told I could fax it in which I did. She said 24-48 for response on faxes. Waited 3 days and called back... nothing! Was transferred to the title department only to find out they are a third party not part of GM and was told GM had to do it on their end and then send it to them.

Called right back to CS and demanded a supervisor who after 30 minutes of holding told me I had to fax it to the title admin department and it would take 3-5 business days. Hmmmm who do you think is telling the truth? Or does anyone at GM even know what the truth is? Where do the documents go that are sent to them by various agencies on people's automobile loans? Black hole I can only assume. Do not support this horrific company. Finance through your bank or another lender. They do not deserve anyone's business. They are incompetent and lack the most basic of customer service and support. Funny thing is, I am trying to get the lien released so I can buy a new car and give my son the current auto as his got wrecked. Sorry GM you won't get my business EVER again!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have a vehicle that was totaled in December 2017. My insurance company paid their portion in January 2018. I have been waiting for 6 months now for GM gap insurance to pay their portion. Every time I call they are rude, curt and have no information for me. They NEVER return a phone call. It is now May 29, 2018, 6 months after the accident and I am STILL fighting with this company. Again, no one has any idea why it hasn't gotten paid. I am trying to close on a house and it is still on my credit that I owe this debt. They are doing absolutely nothing to help. This is the most horrific customer service I have ever encountered. I will NEVER buy GM again.

Original review: May 24, 2018

At the beginning of the year, GM Financial shut down for a few days to do some kind of update to their system, and since then it’s been a nightmare. In February I got a call from them saying I was two months behind in my car payments. So I called back and spoke to a representative and they went over my payment history with me and said everything looks up to date and they aren’t sure why it’s saying I’m late.

And now, I’m trying to move and buy a house, and my credit score came back low and the main reason given was that GM Financial was reporting that my account was delinquent back in December (it never was) and they haven’t updated the credit bureaus since December. So I called today and talked to someone, they said they are aware of the problem, and started fixing it in early May, but it won’t reflect on my account until June, and could take 30-60 days for it to cycle to the credit bureaus.

So essentially for the entire summer my credit score can’t go down because of their system’s mistake and they say there’s nothing they can do about it at this point except send me a letter saying my account is up to date to pass on to my mortgage lender so they can pass it on to the credit bureaus and see if they accept it and rescore my credit based on it. This is completely unacceptable, and if the credit bureaus don’t accept the letter, my interest rate on my loan will be nearly a full point higher than it would be without their mistake causing it to be higher, which translates to over $100/month. So needless to say, if I do end up with the higher interest rate, I will be suing GM Financial for whatever the difference in price will be over the term of the loan (at $100/month that would be $36,000).

Original review: May 22, 2018

I leased a 2016 SRX from March 2016 to March 2018, the auto had 3700 miles on it already, I drove about 20k, because it was used car, I was asked the dealer if they counted the usage on the tires, and I've been told - not to worry - those tires will last for 60K miles. When I returned the car at 20k miles, I've been charged for three new tires - almost $800, the inspection was done by third party and I was not allowed to present, I complained it to GM, and a very rude customer rep told me that I should file the complaint with the third party they hired. Never lease another car from this company!

Not sure about GM Financial?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

GM Financial Company Information

Formerly Named:
    AmeriCredit
    www.gmfinancial.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business