2. Finance
  3. Car Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

GM Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I am literally crying tears because I'm leaving GM Financial. They have been so good to me and working out whatever money issues with my payments, and for that I love and will miss them. I've been with gm financial 4 years.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I recently purchased a 2018 Camaro new 6 months ago and after years of employment with a company here in Pensacola was let go and had no income for a few months, knowing my situation no currently working and am getting caught up on my payment and this company has been so understanding. It's nice to see this type of business in 2019. Good job GM Financial and thank you.

Get buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I had a 72 payment contract. I took a couple deferments over the 6 years and had a balloon payment at the end. It was more than I could pay within 30 days. I called to see if they could modify my contract. They did it without a hitch. Calculated estimated payments that were very low and sent me the new agreement. Absolutely no hassle. Over the course of the loan I had a few problems making the payments on time. But they allowed me to defer payments without any hassles. I never dinged my credit report by missing payments. Very easy to work with. Very friendly.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Used the car for 22K miles only, return by the end of the lease term in excellent condition. They charged me $700 to replace all tires in top of the $600 deposition fees!!! I had the car serviced few weeks ago and Tires were fine!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I have been with the GM Financial family for many years. At present I have a 2017 Camaro, and a 2018 Traverse. In 2017 my nephew asked me to cosign for a GM, and I did so. I made sure his lease payments were always paid, and GM sent me a letter if he was late. Unfortunately, when he returned the car there was some damage that I was unaware of. Around 1000.00. Well I was not notified, and this went by the 30 day mark. Of course when I was made aware, I paid it off. But it was too late. GM reported it, My credit score dropped over 500 points. I called and begged GM for a release as in 20 years I had never been late a payment.

Forward to 2020 and I just applied for a mortgage and this hard Mark on my score, brought my interest rate up enough that I backed out of a home. I was told this will be on my credit report for 7 to 10 years. Customer loyalty means nothing. I'm devastated. They should have sent me a letter and of course said they did. I would not have risked my credit!!!

Original review: July 22, 2020

I was with GM FINANCIAL since March of 2017. Was amazed how flexible they were being due to my medical background. Although, once the COVID-19 hit and drastically affected the world. I assumed with so much trust that GM FINANCIAL would be a stand up company for the customers while going through the suffering times of the coronavirus, but they did not. Yes, I had a history of missing payments due to medical reasons, which GM FINANCIAL was well aware if, but I ALWAYS brought my account current. No longer than 2 months at most. With my medical reasons and COVID, it pushed my account over 2 months late. Preston, customer service representative, mentioned an 8mos courtesy extension that GM FINANCIAL does not have to give to customers. I asked about the courtesy extensions for customers during this PANDEMIC that the world is being affected by. Preston transferred me to Dana ** (Supervisor).

I asked Dana to give me 3 to 4 wks (waiting on unemployment card to come). Instead she rudely spoke over me consistently repeating information that I heard, but irrelevant to the plan to resolve. I then began to stress because she was simply not listening to my questions or my plans to catch up. She repetitively enforced that my car will be repossessed and that the full amount is due to get the car back. She continued to mention CHARGED OFF, A 3rd party COLLECTIONS AGENCY, and REPOSSESSION. She was so rude, I reminded her that the GM FINANCIAL lines are recorded and the nerve of her to say NOT my line. Wow! I informed her that I was recording and she instantly changed her tone but ended the call roughly a minute after I told her I was recording, with a hang up (while I was still attempting to speak).

They repossessed my vehicle during this pandemic from private property and drag the car while the emergency brakes were locked and the wheels turned all the way to the right (passenger side); avoid my car from rolling back, due to a slight hill at the weekly I am residing at. Even if I was able to get the car back with refinancing, I am sure the tow company damaged the car. Now the car is no value to me to get to my doctor's appointments, interviews nor any value to GM FINANCIAL. I pray they clear negative credit reports or sell my vehicle at the highest price possible to deduct from my remaining balance. I would not recommend solely because of the representation of force with no sympathy or understanding during a sensitive time in life for not just me but anyone and everyone. Programs available to GM FINANCIAL for financial hardship from the government, but no programs for customers during this pandemic. Greed disgust me.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I have had a lease with GM since 2005. I recently finished my last lease and was still trying to decide what vehicle to get. I have an extra vehicle and did not need it right away. Once I made my last payment I got hot with wear and tear for a vehicle that was in pristine shape. I had driven it 10,000 less than the lease agreement. In addition I got hit with a disposition fee. This means I turned my car in and we need to pick it up and clean it. Then we need to sell it so you have to pay. A total scam especially in the midst of a pandemic you would think they would not allow you to incur additional fees after 15 years of perfect pay. In any case do not sign any documents making you responsible for the things they need to do anyway! I will detract from GM as much as I can. Making me even angrier knowing we bailed them out and my tax dollars went to these scam artists. Never again will I lease or buy from GM!!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

After leasing a car financed through GM Financial, I was charged $1555 in extra fees! After a 3 year lease, I returned the car with $13,000 UNUSED miles. I was charged for the slightest scratch, smudge, normal tire wear, a mark on the tire rims. I was so shocked by the extra fees that I called GM. I was basically told that with a lease, nothing at all can be different with the car once it’s returned, not even normal wear and tear. I guess I should have parked the car in my garage and paid for not using the car for the 3 year term. I am so angry and I feel like GM is a very dishonest company. Do not finance through this company.

Original review: July 1, 2020

Leased my new car in November. It's July and they still cannot manage to spell my name correctly on my account. They first wanted me to submit a name change request, I had to explain that my name had not changed, but they had entered it incorrectly in their system. Now they've managed to update their website in 'myaccount', but not mail, email, or when they debit the payment from my bank account. Beyond frustrating. Not to mention the amount of time I have to waste to actually get through to a person to try to have it addressed, again.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I made a payment on website. Despite receiving an conformation email the website didn't indicate a payment was processing. 2 days later I get an email telling me my payment is past due. Since the first payment was not pending from my bank I made a second payment. The website then indicated a payment was processing. The next day, today, both payments were taken out of my account. Now I'm being told it will be 15-30days to get refund. That is 30 days of collecting interest on my money before returning it. This is immoral and a terrible business practice!!!! GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!!!

GM Financial Company Information