1.25/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Find a recommended auto loan provider now
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

GM Financial

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 19, 2017

230 GM Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The lease through GM Financial was paid off by another dealership and they still auto deducted an extra full month's car payment from me. The process to get a refund for their mistake has been horrible. We are almost 60 days out and no one can seem to get their process/explanation right. There is no consistency and I am jumping through hoops just to receive my money back, when it was their fault that they overcharged me in the first place. I would never do business with them again!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I purchased my car back in 2015. Never missed a payment or late on a payment. Hurricane Harvey hit and my car was literally floating down the road. It was totaled. The insurance company came to pick up The car. Did not evacuate it due to the fact there was thousands of vehicles that needed to be towed off. I kept in constant contact with GM Financial to let them know what was going on. Never once did they tell me that I needed to continue to pay on the car. They reported on my credit a late payment that dropped my score about 80 points. We called and asked if there was a way to get that off since I was never told we needed to pay and the lady that we spoke to was rude and told me there’s nothing that they can do even though we have never been late in a payment and obviously this is the first time I have dealt with one of my vehicles being totaled. I didn’t know what to do.

That’s just the first thing that was wrong with GM. GM kept calling saying that my insurance company hasn’t had contact with them when that was a complete lie. My insurance company was trying to get them to release the title. That way they could write them a check and GM gave them the runaround and wouldn’t release the title. I'm not the only one that had this problem. And to top it off they tried to repo the car. I haven’t had the car since hurricane Harvey hit. It’s in some field with thousands of other vehicles so good luck finding it.

My insurance company finally got the title and was able to write them a check but now getting harassed because my gap insurance hasn’t paid the remaining off. Anyone dealing with gap knows there’s a lot of paperwork you have to get done before they will pay it off. That’s hard to do when your home got flooded and two Of your vehicles got flooded and you're trying to put your life back together. I will never do business with GM Financial again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I just became financially able to purchase a newer car and was excited to bring home my new Malibu. Excitement turned to frustration and disappointment with GM Financial. I have had my loan since March 2017 and since then they have "lost" a payment and denied a payment was made. They are now telling me I am going to be in active repossession even though I have provided proof of payment. The emails "were never received", my phone calls were never noted in the system, and this last payment was again taken out of my bank account yet "not received" on their end. To top it off the payments aren't being made directly to the company regardless of how they are made. It always goes through Western Union. I am frustrated and unable to get out of the loan.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

If I can give them a 0 I would! Try to stay away from GM Financial, my maturity date is set for Oct. 2017 however I was NEVER made aware that if you deferred a payment the interest rate will triple. They will rip you off, so before you decide to make this horrible mistake please do research! I am very upset that the car dealership even does business with this company.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I decided to lease my Buick instead of buying. Big Mistake!! Unfortunately Leasing means you need to deal with GM Financial. I am debating buying my car just so my continued relationship with GM Financial would be OVER!! I have been an unfortunate customer of theirs for the past 18 months. I get a nasty messages on the phone and letters showing that I am behind in payments. I have never been behind. I repeatedly need to call them and straighten out the payment that they have repeatedly "lost but somehow always manage to find" once I call and explain every payment and check number.

I need to do this about every 2 months. And this is affecting my credit when they lose my check. I am really tired of calling and calling them. I am on the phone with them a minimum of one hour. Today I talked to 3 different customer service reps. Each rep had a different story to tell me about which missed payment I had. They are now currently looking for another missed payment. I am 58 and have never in my life dealt with such incompetency. DO NOT USE GM FINANCIAL!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I'm writing this review to help others who are considering using GM Financial for a loan. I would NOT use this company. I was purchasing my first vehicle and this was the only loan company that would take me. I will take the fault for not doing my research on this company before signing what feels like my life over to them. I purchased my Jeep at $21,000 and make $418 payment to GM Financial!! At the time I was engaged and my fiance at the time has a very good paying job so this payment was not high for us at the time. Things did not work out between me and my ex so we weren't are separate ways and I took the Jeep since he already had a truck. I did not make enough money on my own to afford this payment plus all of my other bills.

I explained to a GM Financial manager my situation to see if I could get my payments lowered. They did not care and said they could not help me. If I had the money I would have no problem paying them the $418 payment. Oh and side note this was not a new vehicle, it was used and a few years old. It was in good condition and only had 11,000 miles so that was a plus. The customer service I have gotten every time I have called to let them know I would be late on my payment or to see if I could get late charge taken off because let's face it a single person trying to live in this world can't afford $418 payment working a job only making $11 an hour.

GM Financial doesn't take any of this into consideration. They don't care about their customers. I want to see one of their corporate managers lose everything and see how they plan to make their payments. They would want someone to care and understand. But do you get that at GM Financial? No. You do not. So I do not recommend using them. Also customer service is horrible. I will say I had one girl who was very nice and understanding. She couldn't help me reduce my payment but she was very understanding. She is the only good thing at GM Financial.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

In April of 2017 I received a toll violation from GM Financial for a vehicle that did not belong to me. I am currently leasing a 2016 Chevy Silverado and the picture they sent me was of a Chevy sedan of some sort, but definitely not a truck. The license plate was close to mine however two numbers short and again not my vehicle. Seeing the mistake I tossed the paper and carried on. When I went to pay my monthly bill in May I had noticed that it was nearly $300 more than it usually was. Concerned I contacted GM Financial to get some answers. The first person told me it was from toll violations I had and didn't pay so GM had paid them on my behalf and now I was responsible for paying them back. When I told them I never received any toll violations they told me that they had sent me the copies of the violations in the mail a month ago.

When I told them that I did receive it but it wasn't for my vehicle I was put on hold. When the person got back I gave her my truck information so they could "investigate" the situation and someone would get back to me. Days turned into weeks and finally it was time for me to make my next payment and still the violations were there. Again I called and spoke to someone different. Again I had to explain the entire situation and again I was told that they would look into it and someone would get back to me. Another few weeks went by and no one ever contacted me so I called again. This time the person told me that since GM has paid the violation it was up to me to go to the city or town in which the ticket was issued and have them issue the leasing company a refund check. I asked how I was supposed to go about doing so which they just told me to go to the town and tell them what I've been telling them.

So now that I have to travel to a town I've never been to and have them issue a refund check going solely by my word alone, I'm extremely angry and write a formal complaint to GM. I received an email a few days later stating how sorry they were to hear about the situation I'm in and they would look into everything and would have the issue resolved with me having to do little if not anything from this point on. I had also asked to be sent copies of the violations so I could keep record of them. I never received them and the last email I had received from GM was from July 19th. Today I called again to figure out what is going on since it has been nearly two months since anyone has said anything to me and the violations were still on my account. Now mind you the only copy of the violation I received was back in April from GM Financial and had the picture of the car and the license plate from the toll.

They are now telling me they have no picture of the toll violation and I only have the vehicle information. I then stated that if they had vehicle information then wouldn't they have known it wasn't for my truck in which they responded that it shows it's from for Silverado and that I needed to contact RITBA for them to validate that it is not my vehicle and for them to issue a refund check. So I call and tell the woman on the phone what GM Financial has been telling me in which she laughed and said they don't issue refund checks but would gladly look into the violation. She then stated that because GM Financial has paid the violation that the ticket has been closed and because I do not even own an E-ZPass there is nothing they can do and I need to deal with my leasing company directly.

This company has been nothing but a headache for me and has done nothing but stews me out for the last 5 months. Why should I be responsible for fixing their mistake when I have been telling them for months that it isn't even for my vehicle. They never call back when they say they're going to nor do they have the common courtesy to email you back to give you any sort of feedback on what they're doing on their end. They have guaranteed that I will NEVER lease another vehicle through them again because they are just awful.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

GM Financial will not help any people who have a lease account contrary to their web page! PLEASE READ THE MESSAGE FROM THEIR WEBPAGE. THEY ARE PROVIDING FALSE HOPE TO VICTIMS OF THE HURRICANE. "Our thoughts are with all of those who have been affected by Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. If you are a GM Financial customer in a FEMA-designated disaster area and need assistance with your account or making payment arrangements contact Customer Experience at 800-284-2271. Each customer's situation is unique, and our experienced representatives are standing by to help find a customized solution for you." I have owned 18 GM vehicles over the past 25 years, I will not be purchasing or especially leasing another one.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

In 2015 we leased a 2015 Equinox for 24 months with a one payment option. It was to be turned in on August 25, 2017 but we pulled ahead on July 10, 2017 and that left over one month payment we should have been refunded. Because our account had a zero balance we are not entitled to receive a refund for the last month even though by the end of July I was told they had already sold the car which had only 11,000 miles on it. Someone else owned the car but I was still not eligible for the last month refund of $333.70. When we leased a car through ALLY they were very generous with refunding at the end because it was in such great shape and low mileage. I hope it was worth it to lose at least a 30 year customer of GM cars.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have noticed all of the bad reviews for "GM Financial" and I truly don't understand it, because they were absolutely life savers to me when I really needed the help! I lost my job after only owning my brand new car for 1 year and was out of work for 9 months. With this said with paying rent & car insurance & utilities after the first 2 months of unemployment I couldn't afford to pay my $556.28 car note, I was so worried I cried about how I was probably going to lose my car, how would I be able to keep looking for work!!! I called GM Financial right after making my 2nd payment while unemployed and explained my situation of being unemployed and if there was anything they can do to help me.

From speaking with the first person I was lucky to speak with to the Manager who helped me. It was absolutely a great experience! They were so kind and understanding! I had to make sure that I would keep my promise of payment dates & payment amounts and my car would not be repoed, what a relief and what a great company!

I had a small personal loan with a company called "Heights Finance" a small $105.00 a month personal loan and all I got was threats of them taking me to court when I called to make arrangements with them and here I am with a $30,000.00 loan with GM Financial and they were giving me a chance and they listened and cared enough to work with me, so yes GM Financial is a great company in my opinion!!! I would go back to them any day and would recommend family and friends! I got to keep my car because of them!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

We had leased a 2014 ATS from GM Financial. Due to the potholes, the tires busted. We replaced 2 tires for 2000$. We then bought a rim car protection from our dealer and we had issues with 2 other tires which were replaced. We turned the car before the lease ended in May 2017 and GM Financial calls us on 30th September 2017 asking us to pay for $675 for tires. After almost 5 months they called us saying one of the tires has a cut. We need to pay them $675. It took them 5 months to come back to us and all the tires were replaced by new tires from an authorized GM dealer so we are not sure what is this charges or who is responsible for this 5 month delay?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I recently opted to purchase my lease vehicle. As requested, GM sent the lease buyout packet to my bank. The bank in turn sent the requested funds to GM. When I finally received the certified, notarized bill of sale. The bill of sale showed that I owed about $878.00 less they asked from my bank. GM demanded that I immediately go to DMV to transfer the title into my name. When I questioned the totals, they sent me a second certified bill of sale showing the same lower amount. I went to DMV to transfer the title and found the taxes had not been paid by GM.

Over the past month or so I have spoken to numerous individuals without even a hint of success. They insist the total they request from my bank was accurate but cannot account for the difference. They offered two different reasons but neither was accurate. I have encountered numerous unreturned calls and emails and I must say I have never experienced so much incompetence and poor customer service as this. I will no longer use GM, and will suggest my car dealer do the same.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I just would like to share my experiences with GM Financial. This company is great, down to the customer service and how they work with you. I have a car loan through them and for the last 2 years they have been nothing but understanding. I got laid off from my job last year, and hit some rough times and was completely not able to pay my car payment. They worked with me and were so sympathetic.

When I finally got on my feet, something major went wrong with my car that wasn't covered under warranty and had to pay over $1,000 for it, the same day I was suppose to make that payment to them. Instead of them being angry and threatening to repo, etc. they completely worked with me! Were very apologetic for the year I had and took the time to talk with me about what we can do to resolve this. I have dealt with plenty financial companies that have left me horrible rude threatening voice mails, etc. but these people are great to deal with!!! 100% recommend them!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I had a lease that I always paid on time and was never late once. I traded in the truck for a new one and the dealer called GM for the payoff and the dealer sent the exact amount. GM took the money and never paid off my account and left it open as delinquent. I called many times to correct it and every time I was lied to and said it was taken care of. It was a mistake on gm financial's part with some bs paperwork. That was 5 months ago and I'm still showing bad marks on my credit because of GM financial. I did nothing wrong and they ruined my credit because that how they do business.

They are the most worthless company I have ever dealt with. I bought a Dodge and will NEVER do business with GM FINANCIAL again. They ruined my credit and don't even care that it was their fault. I have told all my family and friends never to do business with them. They will ruin your credit! Please I urge anybody to finance with anybody but them! Terrible treatment to a loyal customer that did nothing wrong! I hope they go bankrupt.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Horrible customer service, not willing to work with me on my monthly payments after my job was eliminated even though I never missed a payment or was late. Repo'd my car in the middle of the night, then sold at auction for less than / I owed on it. I could have sold it for more!!! Now I am forced to file bankruptcy on that left over amount. WHAT A JOKE. WARNING... do not finance your cars through GM Financial! Interest rates are SO Stupidly high and they will not work with anyone on anything.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

My experience is much like the ones below. This company tried to tell me that they never received a payoff from the dealership when I have a copy of the check, they never closed my account which made them draft a payment from my account after the vehicle was no longer in my possession, which I then went and disputed with my bank. This is the second car I have leased through GM Financial and I am still going through the process of the first car, telling me I'm 90 days past due. I was told by GM Financial this would be resolved tomorrow August 2nd. If not I will be hiring a lawyer.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Had my car financed thru GM Financial/AmeriCredit Financial Services. Paid loan off EARLY in Mar 2015. After 2-3 mos never received clear title. Called; they claim mailed mid-Apr 2015 & could not reproduce title, but would mail "release of lien letter". Another couple of months pass & never received such letter. Called again & they claim mailed. Referred me to website ** to request copies. They could not, & WOULD NOT resend. ** charges $23 for "lien satisfaction letter" copy & $35 for "duplicate title PLUS any DMV fees". This is a con & a scam like the other ways GM Financial/Americredit uses to make money off of consumers (read all other complaints here against them).

I became life-threateningly ill in Aug 2015 & have been dealing with health & medical insurance the past 2 years, so this issue was put on "back-burner". Then while getting car registration renewed today asked how to get car title. County tax office said Americredit has NOT released lien; still shows as lien holder on title. Called GM Financial/Americredit when got home & was told same thing as two years ago!?! When told them State of Texas still shows them as lien holder their response was that GM/Americredit releases it electronically & the State does not update THEIR records properly (I worked for the State of Texas for 11 years... I know better).

Only after I threatened to call a specific local TV station Consumer Affairs assistance program did I get a different response. Young lady on phone asked to put me on hold for a few minutes to talk to supervisor. When she returned to line she said request to resend "lien satisfaction letter" will be put in system, Then someone will call me within 48 business hours to inform IF approved. IF approved, letter will be mailed in 7-10 business days. I will still have to request clear title from State & pay any applicable DMV fees myself. That's fine... it's only $7.50. I just refuse to pay GM/Americredit $23-$35 to send a copy of something that's rightfully mine that THEY NEVER mailed in the first place. ** & GM Financial/Amercredit are running a scam on consumers. DO NOT FINANCE YOUR VEHICLE WITH GM FINANCIAL/AMERICREDIT... THEY WILL HOLD YOUR TITLE "HOSTAGE" FOR THE FEE.

Original review: July 27, 2017

This company is very quick in ruin your credit. I have 2 loans from them and 1 from Mercedes Benz financial. Mercedes Benz are an excellent company. They work with you and are not so quick in trying to ruin your credit. Ok so I have 2 loans with GM financial, 1 is for $1,100.00 a month the other is for $120.00 a month. From the begin of the purchase of the car loan for the $120.00, there was something wrong with the information on the account. I find out by viewing my credit report the GM Financial put a bad mark on my credit which cause my credit to go down 100 points.

I reached out to GM financial and they said the reason they put a bad report was because I was 30 days late on the $120.00 a month loan. I told them I never spoke to them about late charges. Why would I be late on a $120.00 loan when I have a loan with them of $1,100.00. and I have never been late for the loan? Anyway, to make a long story short, they had my office number for contact and not my primary number. I told them to remove the bad remark as this was more about them not having the right phone number to contact me and she said she couldn't. My credit when down by 100 points.

Original review: July 24, 2017

My experience is like many others! Very rude, not understanding, not helpful, just want money, money! I even surrendered the 2007 car and they still saying I owe them which I don't! They got the car back and sold it! And still saying I gotta pay for it! Not right at all. Rude, wrong and just plain Ole ripped off! GM Financial, needs to stop scamming people! You are very very disliked!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I FINANCED a 2014 Acadia through GM FINANCIAL. I recently traded it in after they received payoff. GM drafted another car payment from me. Once I tried to get a refund they said they needed proof that funds had cleared my account. I sent that, even after they had payoff funds and the payoff check cleared they wanted me to get proof from my new finance company to prove what they already knew, which was the funds had already cleared. They still refuse to process my refund unless I did that. If not I had to wait 30 days. GM is full of crap. I have a new car payment due and they owe me $600. We will see what happens in 30 days. I should not have to go through this to get my money back. They should never have been taken.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Incompetent and absolutely no culpability when mistakes are made. Let me first say I am not disputing the denial of the claim. I am seeking assistance in resolving the problem related to the return of the premium paid for the credit life. Here is a little background on the situation. In February of 2015, my husband purchased a new vehicle. He purchased credit life on the loan. Fast forward to February 1, 2017. He was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer on January 28th, entered hospice on January 30th, and died on the afternoon of February 1st. He died without completing a will naming me as his wife as immediate heir. His death was unexpected and very quick. According to the terms of the credit life policy, there is a two-year mandatory review clause. He died eleven days short of the end of the mandatory review period. They denied the claim and refunded the initial premium.

The check for the premium was send directly to GM Financial, according to the letter I received from American National on May 15th. June 19th, I phoned GM Financial to confirm the funds were received. I was told by them the check had not been received. I then contacted American National who issued a tracer on the check. I received a letter from American National the following week indicating the check was received and cashed on May 24th.

Here it is July 6th, and this issue is still not resolved. After spending 4 hours on the phone with both GM Financial and American National, this what I know. GM Financial received a notice dated June 29th, from American National requesting the funds be returned to them. I believe the term used by GM Financial was reversing the payment. According the claims specialist from American National, they did not request the funds be reversed. I am still waiting for American National to return my latest phone call. American National would gladly speak with GM Financial, and I attempted to facilitate that exchange. However, GM Financial has a policy not speak to 3rd parties.

I participated in a conference call with both American National and GM Financial on June 29th. At that time, the matter according to GM Financial was resolved. Today I receive a phone call from GM Financial once again telling me that American National has now verbally requested the return of the check. That is false. I have spoken to the claims specialist GM Financial has indicted as the source of the request. Now I am waiting for yet another conference call to attempt a resolution of this matter. According to the conference call of June 29th, GM Financial had agreed to credit the account effective May 25th and reverse the interest charges associated with that amount. At that time, the matter was considered closed.

In the meantime, I am accruing additional interest on the account, as well as being assessed late fees and such by GM Financial, as all the payments I have made are reconfigured. Since my husband died suddenly without a will, and the loan is only in his name, I do not have access to the GM Financial account. This is my only vehicle, and I do plan on taking the issue through the probate court to have the loan transferred to my name and eventually have the title issued in my name. Now, I don't have the funds to hire an attorney or pay the court costs. I am trying to save the money to file. With all the additional fees and interest on the account, what money I had set aside for this has gone to GM Financial.

What do I want as resolution? I want the funds from American National applied to the account and credited by effective on May 25th as that was date the first check was cashed by GM Financial in a timely manner. I would also hope that GM Financial to reverse additional interest accumulated on the loan due to this issue. As an added benefit, I would hope anyone who hears about this, would understand the importance of wills and keeping proper records to back up your issues.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I was leasing a 2014 Cadillac ATS through GM Financial, and in March I got out of the lease to get into a 2017, also through GM financial. In April I was charged another month's lease payment on the 2014 and when I called to inquire I was told that it was because they received payment to cancel the lease too late to put a stop to my automatic payments and that I would be reimbursed by cheque. Several calls and several months later I still haven't received anything although each time I called I was told that the cheque was being sent out that week. Today I called again to see the status and all of a sudden I'm told that there was wear and tear on the vehicle and they were keeping my overpayment to offset the costs. They didn't pick up the vehicle from the car dealership to inspect for at least 3 months after it was dropped off, so anything could have happened in that time that I should not be on the hook for.

Also worth mentioning the car was 25,000 kms under the allotted amount with 4 months remaining on the lease, and was in pristine condition inside and out. I am currently in the process of taking legal action against GM Financial and will most certainly never use them to lease another vehicle as long as I live. Suggest everyone else does the same.

Original review: July 3, 2017

December of 2016, I leased a 2017 GMC Terrain and turned in a 2015 GMC Terrain to a GM dealership on the same day. I retained the odometer statement and other lease disposition paperwork indicating that the 2015 Terrain was turned into a GM dealership in good order (within the contract mileage and free of damage). Over the next several months, I routinely received phone calls from GM Financial inquiring as to the whereabouts of the 2015 Terrain. I repeatedly sent GM Financial scanned copies of the odometer statement, along with the old and new registration which prove that the 2015 Terrain was turned in in December of 2016.

In June of 2017, I received a bill from GM Financial for almost $500 in excess wear and tear, excess mileage, and tax for the 2015 GMC Terrain. I again called GM Financial and told them that the vehicle was turned into a GM dealership over 6 months prior. GM Financial rudely informed me that I turned the vehicle in June of 2017. I again had to prove that the 2015 Terrain was turned into a GM dealership in December of 2016.

GM Financial clearly lost track of the vehicle for over 6 months, and is now trying to recover $500 in taxes, damage to the vehicle, and excess mileage that the vehicle incurred from December 2016 to June of 2017. It is my position that the vehicle was turned into a GM dealership in good condition and within the contract mileage. It has not been in my care, custody, or control for 6 months, and GM financial was. I am not responsible for damage or mileage incurred since the vehicle was turned in, nor am I responsible for the 6 months of property tax. GM Financial is typically unresponsive to emails or phone calls. I would never treat a customer like this.

Original review: June 19, 2017

December 20 2014 I bought a 2009 Traverse from a Chevy Dealer under the certified used vehicle. The dealer apparently went right too GM Financial (we thought they shopped around when they didn't). Got the loan paid on time, never late. Kept up maintenance, oil changes, etc. Oct 2016 driving 70 MPH on a highway with my three kids in the car. Traffic slowed down, I touched the breaks. Traffic assumes I touch the gas engine dies. Threw it into neutral, trying starting it while still rolling. Nothing. Manage to get off to the left because too much traffic on the right. Try getting it to start and got nothing. Had to get it towed (funny thing was the state trooper that pulled up to help had his ex wife's Traverse in his drive way because it did the same thing to her. She had to use his car to take kids around).

Dealership we got it from went out of business and no other Chevy dealership would honor the sale to fix the problem. The one we spoke to wanted $400 just to plug it in the diagnostic computer. That did not include a Guarantee to fix any issues. It was just to tell us what was wrong. Still paid for the five months of trying to get it fixed. Come to find out 2009-2011 GM vehicles with a certain V6 engine in it ALL had issues because the engine is no good. GM knows this and admitted to it on the phone. However they refused to have it fixed. I said this should be a recall or you should be responsible for fixing it. Yeah, we know but we are not. BBB, and every other complaint company has thousands of complaints, I believe this was Toyota's issues as well. Still nothing is being done.

Needs a new engine AND computer system. It only has approximately 130,000 miles on it. What engine goes up on it's own at 130,000? At least $3000 & 4000. Cars maybe worth 4000-6000. Can't afford to pay so tell them to repo and that I'm done paying for it unless they are willing to fix their issue with their vehicle. Told to skip two payments and then they could repo due to MD law. Did everything Financial person told me to do. She told me I was done. I asked "I am now done with everything". She said yes. Beginning of June I get a letter saying they are going to auction off car and that I will be responsible for the balance. I called Chevy Dept they say It's the Financial dept's problem. Call them they said They know the vehicles problem is a manufacturer's issue and that Chevy is responsible but I still have to pay.

Vehicle is a lemon and they admit it is a lemon but I entered a contact with them and still have to pay. I said "No you admitted issue is yours". "Well we are separate from GM". "No you are just a separate department". "Yeah but we aren't responsible for manufacturing issues". "Yeah I get you didn't make it however your company did and that makes you part of the responsibility". She says I would have to prove it was a Chevy issue. I said the complaint department said it's their problem and that I have to talk to the financial department. "We aren't a part of the..." "YES I know but your complaint Department can't send a memo to you saying it's GM's problem and tell you to cancel or forgive the loan?" "No, we don't do that. You signed a contract with us, so you have to pay". "Not paying GM for a lemon". She kept saying they weren't GM.

Supervisor then threatens to get the IRS to take the money. IRS does not come after private loans. I get the whole 1099c thing where they write the loan off which somehow the IRS sees this as an added income to me. However so long as I claim it on next year's income tax isn't going to mean a thing. So I said "Yeah I know send it to collections then go to court". This is really weird part because apparently they don't go to court. I said twice I will fight them in court. They don't take you to court!!! I was told if I wanted to go to court over the issue I WOULD HAVE TO BE THE ONE THAT FILES?!? She said I would have to fight it as a lemon. I said I would just wait for them to file as failure to pay in claims court. They don't do this! Because they would lose.

It's a HUGE scam these people are pulling and nobody is doing anything about it. That's why they do the IRS thing. They don't let you know they filed it. They get the write off as a business loss and get the money from the government and I would get fined by the IRS for not claiming the write off as an income. That's how they are getting away with it. They send me back to complaint side of Chevy. The woman on the phone admits it's their problem and that THEY are a part of GM. Doesn't understand why they aren't cancelling loan. Send me back to another section of Financial. She questioned me and even admitted herself it's Chevy's fault and can't figure out why they are still having me pay. She goes all over the place and come back to start sounding like the one before her about the auction. DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH GM BY ANY MEANS! GMC, Chevy, or Buick. No wonder they needed a bail out in 2008.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I purchased a 2006 Mercury Milan in 2008. My original loan was through Americredit and later became GM Financial. My car has been paid off for 2 years now Shows such on my credit report and when I call. However they tell me I still owe them $1421.82. That they will not release my title until I paid that amount. That they by law can hold title to my car until such time as I pay them what they claim I owe. If I owed that amount then why is my account listed as paid in full and closed? Why do I still have possession of said vehicle? The vehicle is 9 years old. It's not even worth what they claim I owe. I have to keep collision coverage on my vehicle, because I do not have clear title. I will never ever buy another car and finance from a dealer.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Contacted GM Financial to request refund for overpayment. I followed instructions that was provided, and was given approximate timeline for refund (~8-10 business days). Called GM Financial more than 10 business days later and found out that fax was never received. On top of that, it would take ~30 days for a refund!!! I had to go through the entire process again. Very disappointed. Firstly, agent provided inaccurate information. No feedback from GM Financial on status. Agents from GM Financial was hopelessly useless. Hope they can imagine themselves in my shoes. Never again will I go with GM Financial. That explains the poor rating in Consumer Affairs. VERY DISAPPOINTED. I wish I could give a 0 star out of 5.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I have been out of work for 3 years, I have been paying GM until 2016 November, my long term disability ended. I called GM and stated I would have to pay my monthly payments every two weeks from my husband salary and then it would be a stretch. I have had the car for 5 years, it takes me back and forward to Baptist Hospital for one thing and Duke for something else. Getting to the point my husband set up a payment arrangement with a representative two weeks ago. He was to make one payment on the 5/15/2017 $250.00 Western Union ref #** next payment on 5/19/2017 $252 ref #**, another payment of $250 due on 26th of May and full payment of $502 June 12th. That would have put him in a position to stay on track. With me being diagnose with Lupus, I am in and out of the hospital and my medicines are not cheap.

My husband committed himself to everything the representative asked. When I called last night the rep called and said she did not see why they repo the car when my husband abide by their directions. I have worked so hard to keep my car. I need help. The repos was their error. I can see if the representative said paying $250 would not do anything for keeping the car and it would be repo, but to make him make payments on something they knew they would keep. My medicine is $300 a month, I am in and out of the hospital. While I were getting my short and long term payments I paid my car pymts. The last person I talked to said I was 4 pymts behind. With the payments he made and the $250 payment due on Friday then two weeks a full payment that's only one payment if any behind.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I was desperate. Financially strapped. No choice but to refinance my car. I called to make sure they would not need another payment or take one and the response was a very friendly "We have your pay off check. We are done with you." They lied. I now have my new financier and GM FINANCIAL payment withdrawn from my account. When they said they wouldn't. This happened on the 28th. Rent is due on the first. I now have only over $200 in my account and they have to "research" the fact that they took it out of my account. The first person I talked to said that it was never taken out because I don't owe them any money. And suggested I call my own bank and ask them to give me back the money which GM FINANCIAL wrongfully withdrew from my account. That idiot should be fired. I hung up got a different person. She saw where they charged me.

They said they would expedite it for me. But it still takes 5-7 business days and the payment was take out on a Saturday. That's just to even get a response of whether or not they are going to refund it. My grace period for rent will be over by then. And I wouldn't get another paycheck for another week. So I can't even pay a late fee which I will need because they have over $400 tied up I can't touch and they won't refund it in time to pay rent. I don't have anyone to help me. I'm on my own. I'm risking late fees and evictions. And for the last two days all they know is "research is pending." But can't even tell me where we are in the process of this refund. They won't even help me with a late fee that they caused. Do not use GM FINANCIAL if you can help it.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I just want people to be aware if you lease a GM car and after the lease is over you do not lease with them again. You will have to bring to them $495.00 for so called a disposition fee. The salesperson does not tell you this upfront, but when you are signing the papers. I also heard sometimes they do not even tell you. Also now GM cars are being made with no cd player, so spread the news!

Original review: April 28, 2017

I currently have a lease with GM Financial that ends in May of 2017 and I recently applied for a new car lease through GM Financial again figuring that the process would be painless and very easy. I have never missed a payment and I have above average income but yet I was denied credit. This is very puzzling to me especially since my credit score through TransUnion is 620.

GM Financial Company Information