1.11/5

Auto Warranty Expired?

GM Financial

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

377 GM Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I've never in my life has such rude people that I've had to deal with concerning an auto loan, and I've had quite a few, but this is my first with GM. I paid my payments every month, but suddenly a repo truck shows up! I call them immediately to sort it out, to no avail... Payments are $360/mo, yet I had to pay nearly $1600, $500 of which were repo fees, that could've been allotted had they discussed it with me before he took it. They tell me I have no choice but to let them take it, and that they cannot work with me on anything until it is repossessed.

Long story short, I pay the fees because I need the vehicle... Jump forward to the next month, the payment was due on Friday. Monday rolls around and I sincerely forgot. It dawned on me Tuesday, and I promptly paid it, yet a repo truck just rode by my house very slowly flashing a flashlight into my yard! It's still Tuesday night, so of course the payment is still showing as "Pending", but they're calling it "Four days past due", nevermind the fact that Sundays they are closed, so it's technically two days past. Either way, if they repossessed it for 2 days, they can keep it! I'm done with this company!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am currently working on obtaining a mortgage and my credit is spotless but GM reporting I was late 5 months in a row which I wasn’t! I actually even paid more every month than my car payment to help pay it down quicker, I even pulled my bank records to fax them to show they took it out and still NO HELP. I have called and spoken to numerous people even a supervisor who could care less and told me it’ll be looked at my credit department when it gets looked at. If I get denied for my mortgage, I will be going after them for the damages due to their ERROR.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have to give big props to a customer service representative who spoke with my mother this past week. Alexandra ** I believe is what my mother wrote down... took the best care of my elderly mother on the phone. My mother has dementia, and Ms. Alexandra spent over 20 minutes on the phone with her explaining in detail how to work the extension form that needed to be submitted to help my mother out after financial struggles due to medical bills. I know some people do not understand how easy it can be to lose patience as a customer service rep, because I have been there myself, but my mother just went on about how patient and genuinely kind she was. Please tell her to keep up the good work and thank her. The world needs more kind-hearted people like this.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have never dealt with GM Financial prior to this experience but I have taken a lease in January of 2017. The first 8 - 12 months went smoothly, when my property taxes were added to the account what should have been an easy process has become a nightmare. In 23 months I have not missed a payment and quite the opposite I have overpaid. They make threatening phone calls saying I missed a payment when in fact I made the payment and call to have the overage applied to my taxes. It has taken them months and when I think it is fixed we go back to square one and it is screwed up again. This is the worst company!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

This company is the reason America screams **. They report false information to all the credit bureaus because America allows their lazy people that sit on their behinds trying to enforce modern day slavery. This company says I owe them money for a car. Their dealership illegally changed the monthly payment after I signed and done it twice. Then the 3 credit bureaus report it a of I lying and these people are honest. Shame on GM Financial and all 3 credit bureaus for trying to enforce the lies this country allows you to. America wouldn't be nothing without the work of other people's backs (**).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

FRAUD. I have never had an account with GM Financial but yet they did an ACH withdrawal from my account. I called to talk with customer service about the transaction to get a clear understanding and the Specialist they transferred me to name Tasha had to be the rudest person I have ever talked to before in my life. All I want is the money you took from me back or at least a transaction number. She stated she couldn't tell me where my money was applied to because the company is so big. Even though I gave her the transaction number she couldn't tell me anything. I will get a lawyer and subpoena all records for this payment. I wouldn't if I needed a car loan ever in life.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

GM Financial has started harassing me because I was late on a few payments. They called every day three four times a day. They call when you're at work. They call and hang up the call and sit on your voicemail and don't say anything. They report false information to the credit bureau. They do not correct the mistakes they make. They judge you. They try to tell you that you'll never get a car if you give their ears back. These are a bunch of bored overgrown children with telephone to have nothing better to do but calling her ** working people report false information to the credit bureaus. Never fix anything and never apologize for their mistakes. Anybody interested in class action lawsuit? We need more than 20 people and it can be less than 40. Let's do a class action lawsuit against GM Financial.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

After two leases with no problems their website either failed to register a payment or I did something wrong and 1 payment was missed. They never notified me and when you pay the bill each month it doesn't show the missed payment so I continued to just make my one payment, for 6 months I was reported as being delinquent to the credit bureau but they never notified me. I was unaware and they reported me as missing 6 payments. As soon as I learned about it I made the additional payment but it has killed my credit score and can no longer lease a car. All because I missed 1 payment. GM Financial, how is that fair?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

A good auto loan company is one that you don't have to think much about. GM Financial fits that bill. I am notified 5 days before my payment and emailed a thank you after my payment comes out. It could not be easier and more professional. I am reading about people that have had issues with GM. In most (if not all) cases, it sounds like the customer is complaining about themselves more than the company.

GM runs customer credit when they get a request from one of their dealers. When the customer goes all over creation to different dealers he put everybody to work. They all want to get him a loan and GM gets multiple solicitations. Each deal is a different car with perhaps different rebates and cash down. They have to work every deal. It's not their fault the customer has bad credit or doesn't like the terms. Customers need to take responsibility for their own actions. They are almost always complicit in their problems. Stop blaming the company. The bigger problem is in the mirror.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I need my title overnight-ed before I will no longer be able to drive my Suburban. I have called numerous times to try and get my title sent so I can register my vehicle and pay the taxes. I have had excuse after excuse. Such as the address is wrong, we do not have your odometer reading, it's a 2.00 dollar tax problem from Oct 2nd. etc. These reasons were invalid. I send the odometer reading in Aug. which you found. My address is shown correctly on your website as ** and as for the tax someone should have fixed it. I called a few days ago with no one fixing this problem the had approx. 3 weeks Oct 2 to Oct 23rd.

My old plates are up on Oct 30th. That 2 days away. I called on the 21st - 22nd of Oct 2018 to try and get it resolved and overnight-ed so my family does not have to rent a car. I have lost all faith my acct shows the 36000 plus amount pay off end of Aug 2018 and I have not received a receipt and it still shows a monthly amount due on my acct when I log in. I have printed everything paid and I have copied this email as well as documenting all calls. Please fix this problem or refund my money asap so I can go buy another car and I will return it to your local GM authorized dealer.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

We took out a GMAC loan on a new truck. Paid it off. GMAC online shows $0 balance but will not post my last statement. Said they sent the title to us, but it was never received. USPS informed delivery confirms it was never sent. Gmac told me to go to getmytitle.com to get a payoff letter and or duplicate title. That site wants to charge me money to get these items. I feel this is not right.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I leased a vehicle from GM and had issues so I went back and had that lease bought out and refinanced another one from GM. At this point the old lease should have been completely paid off and the new lease take place in payments. After the first month I had payments taken out for both leases. I contacted GM and was told they would shut the auto pay off on my old lease and it would take 30 days to process my refund. Although I was not happy I accepted this. However the second month had come around and this happened again not to mention I still did not receive the first refund yet the second had been taken out. I notified them of this again and was told it was an error and I would have to wait another 30 days for the second refund. Someone there did not do the job correctly after the first time and I should not be penalized having to wait another 30 days.

So GM had taken double my money for 2 months and I could not do anything but wait. This is an unfair business practice and if I did not pay them for 2 months or told them to wait I would have to suffer repercussions They offered me no further explanation and no type of credits for me losing my money for 2 months and I want to note I provided them proof from my bank funds had been withdrawn on both instances. I feel they are not responsive to situations like this and all just follow a script to tell you what the procedure is. That procedure is not fair to a customer who has been loyal and on time with all of their payments. Someone should be able to find a way to override this and when I asked I was told they could not.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I had been late on a few payments because I lost my job a few months prior. As soon as I started working again, I started making payments every two weeks then every week. I got my account up to current via website info. I paid all of my late fees last. I made a payment toward my late fees but it never reflected it on my account. I made two payments of 100.00 toward 91.00 in late fees but somehow it never reflected on my account. Well that's when I started calling GM Financial to find out what was going on. All they could tell me was they were going to fix it and it should take a few days to update. Well three more weeks later and it's still not updated.

The money I was paying was being diverted into my next month's payment! I said, "Well tell me how much I owe for next month." Okay he said 366.35. I said, "Well at least it's going toward my payment." I'm not really tripping over that. Well now as per 1 full week, I check my website to make another small payment to cover the late fees again! But this time, I Owe 566.00 instead of 366.00 PLUS I still owe 100.00 in LATE FEES!!! GM FINANCIAL WHERE IS MY DAMN MONEY! I have called back several times to get answers but nobody can help but they all promise to fix the mistake but it never gets fixed. I end up owing more when I am obviously paying extra! HOW! I'm thinking of turning in this vehicle voluntarily and just buy one cash in a few months. I will never finance with these criminals ever again! They take your money and never offer an explanation of where it has went!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

We financed our 2009 Mercedes Benz C class with Americredit/GM Financial and completely regret it. I suggest to anyone buying a car or SUV at a dealership if the finance manager tells you that GM is the best deal, walk away because they will ruin your credit score. We had sold our Mercedes Benz in March 2018 and it was paid off. It is now Oct and GM has reported to all three credit bureaus that our account is delinquent and we were late on the payment although GM stated on the phone to me that they were paid in full. They reported us late on March, April and Sept 2018 on a car that we paid off. My score has taken such a hit I am unsure how it will recover. I have filed disputes with all three credit bureaus and believe that GM financial needs to be investigated for fraudulent practices.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

In July my wife and I bought a new Traverse and turned in our lease 4 months early. While that day we canceled payments coming from our account. They still took our payment out. We have been battling to get our money back for 4 months. 4 months. 12 phone calls with reps and managers telling us, "Oh we just approved it. It will be sent out" to "We have no idea where you got your Info." The managers are total ** and tell you, "We will dig into it and call you back in 24 to 48 hours." Still waiting on that call a week later with multiple calls to the manager voicemail not returning calls at all. My whole family has been with GM and retired from them. After this I'm done with GM and will be switching to Chrysler. Thanks a lot GM for the great service...not.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

GM Financial has zero concept on customer relations and accountability. They assess fees and penalties (F&P) on your account, even when the issue falls on their garbage website. They account for F&P and continue to increase your payment or monthly bill because they refuse to acknowledge the mistake. GM Financial RAN my credit report nine times, NINE TIMES before accepting me as a customer. These were all HARD inquiries on my credit report that I couldn't clear up. The customer service is horrible, GM Financial is horrible, America my **. Buy foreign! I'm sure you won't run into problems like this. GAUGING customers. Feel Proud GM!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Do not finance through GM! I sent my payment and it cleared my bank. I received a phone call saying my account was past due. I called my bank and because GM changes your check into an electronic payment I did not get my check back. I have spent 2 hours trying to solve the problem with no help from GM customer service reps, who are incompetent. I will refinance this loan and get away from these people. I have been a GM person for years, not anymore - credit union only from now on, and Ford Motor Co.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Incorrect posting of payment and taxes. The incompetence continues at GM Financial/ACAR Leasing. This has got to be the worst financial company in the USA. From their systems to website to the way they process things is all sub-par. I will NEVER... NEVER finance or lease another vehicle from GM Financial. Neither will my kids and I share my stories with any friends or family that are willing to listen.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I made a double payment by mistake (online) so I called GM and explained it to the customer service person. He said "Oh I've made that mistake also and what you do is have your bank stop payment on the 2nd one" which I did. The bank did the research, found it valid and stopped the payment. The next month I logged in to do a payment and it was refused without a reason being given. I called customer service and was told they outsource their payment system to Western Union and I would have to contact them. I asked for the person's supervisor and got the same "We can't help you". I'm GM's customer and they won't help me with a legitimate problem. GM has lost a customer for good and I would suggest going to another source next time you lease or buy a car and make sure they DO NOT outsource to Western Union since they have one of the worst websites on the web for payment processing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I just got a call saying, I did not pay my bill last month. I always pay before my due date online. Last month when I called they said the bank # is incorrect. I explained it was the same number I have had for 40-50 yrs. The person looked at my records and saw that this is right. She talked to her supervisor, and was told that this was true, and he said it was corrected, and I could make the payment right then. I did that and was assured it went through. I thought no more about it until I got a call the day I had planned to pay this month bill saying I owe 2 months and had a late fee for last month.

I called to see what was going on... last month was paid before it was due! She checked and said it was marked pd, but a few days later, that payment was cancelled because the bank # was incorrect. (This is the same number as always!) I was not made aware of this! This is the 2nd review I have sent with no answer. I called this evening to see if I could send my check yet and she said it would be fine. I have tried several times since and it says the same thing... My bank # is incorrect. It's due in a few days and I don't want my credit to be hurt!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Been in the process of getting a dispute settled on my account. First, a worker by the name of Tracey ** let my email sit in her inbox for 2 weeks before I called and she said she needed more information. Went to lengths to get exactly what she asked for and was told the dispute was settled. However, 5 days later I call back and it is still not settled! Only to speak to a supervisor to let me know they will not settle this dispute. Wasted a month of my time and causing problems with my bank! Terribly disappointed and let it be known if you are transferred to Tracey ** she will do a terrible job helping you! Best to speak to someone else.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I had Saturns for YEARS, and always had financing with GM. So when I got this Buick, I thought 'heck, sure - why not'. NEVER AGAIN. I've had nothing but problems with my lease payments. Today I asked what my options were to get out of my lease and I was transferred to "Victor" who may be in America, I admit I didn't ask. But he SOUNDED like he was in a call centre in India. And frankly, I needed to speak with someone who spoke idiomatic American English, didn't denigrate my intelligence because I'm female and gave me the basic respect of recognising my gender. When that call started I owned that I was severely frustrated, got two steps in and "Victor" said 'I need another piece of information Sir and then...' and I was done. When your company is performing so poorly that I need to talk about ending a lease early, you really really need to send me to someone that can help me, not aggravate me more.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Worst experiences ever. Nightmare. They ruined my credit numerous times promising me my payment went through promising me there’s just a "pending payment" and that I don’t have to worry and it won’t affect my credit score. One time they were going to defer my payments and I look at my credit score and it said 60 days past due!!! The online payment system has sent me emails saying "payment made, no further action is necessary" and gave me a confirmation number then it turns out it that it didn’t go through and I got 45$ in late charges!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I called and spoke with Darren ID **. He had absolutely no information to provide. Kept saying, "I don't know if this correct but I'm just gonna tell you it will take 3 days." I would hate to give a company my money and be represented this way. Darren needs to be replaced.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

First of all, this is the most shady company I know. I had an experience where I was unsure how much I owed so I called GM Financial to make sure I was paying the correct amount. They gave me a number and I asked the representative multiple times if he is sure that this amount he told me is correct and he kept stating that it was. Months later, I get a notice for intent to repossess my car because my payments were behind. I was completely unaware of this. So I called GM financial and explained what happened and they even acknowledged that it was an error on their part. I soon noticed that my credit score had been tanked because of this. I have spent so long trying to get them to fix it and have yet found a resolution. Their people who answer the phones are the most incompetent ** ever. I am never going to lease a GM vehicle ever again. Terrible business practices and I will tell everyone that I can to not lease a GM car. ** pieces of **.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I received a letter dated August 8th regarding a refund I was suppose to receive from GM Financial in the amount of $3551 dollars. I have called multiple times and was told the check has been mailed by multiple employees on August 31st, but I recently called September 10th to find that the check hasn’t even been printed. I have requested this refund be processed and overnighted but the employees are refusing to send my refund overnight telling me I will receive it by September 16th. I called September 11th and the check still hasn’t been mailed so there is no way I will receive it by September 16th. So at this point they are holding my refund for no reason and it looks the refund will never be mailed. The same story they keep telling me is the accounting department is back up but I do not believe it should have taken this long nor do I believe it’s been processed because they have lied to me multiple times.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

On 5/22/15, I entered into a Lease Contract GM Financial for a 2015 Chevrolet Equinox. I received the bill for June, paid online, and enrolled in Auto Pay. On 7/21/15 I logged into my account to see if Auto Pay had taken effect or if I needed to pay the bill and saw a 0.00 balance due. When I spoke to a rep, they stated I was enrolled in Auto Pay and that no balance was due. Each month, the payment was auto deducted from my checking account on time.

I logged into my account June 2018 to plan for the end of lease, to my surprise, I owed $624+ in late payment fees. I immediately contacted customer support via live chat. I explained that I was NEVER notified of a late payment via a paper statement, email, or telephone call. I stated to the rep, that I could not access statements online - which she told me, because I was on Auto Pay, GM does not post statements online for auto-pay accounts. Therefore I had no paper statements and no online statements - how was I supposed to know I owed late fees? I've written to GM and even filed a complaint with BBB and GM responded that they will not remove the late fees. I see many of us have faced similar issues.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I returned my lease vehicle to the GM dealership on Aug. 20, 2018. Payoff was sent on Aug. 22, 2018. On August 28, 2018 I called to speak to rep. at GM Financial to ensure they received the payoff and no more auto-pays would be processed. The rep. told me they received the payoff as of Aug. 24 and the auto-pay was canceled. On Sept. 1 an auto pay was taken out of my bank account. I contacted GM again and then they informed me I was to "CANCEL" the auto pay online. Which I did. So I asked when I would get my refund and they told me 90 days.

I asked them to give me a status on the payoff and they told me they were unable to provide me with a status. I spoke to supervisor and they also were unhelpful. It is now September 10. The payoff is still pending, and I am still awaiting a refund. This has been by far the most frustrating, stressful and unprofessional experience I have ever encountered with an auto financial company. I will never buy or lease another GM vehicle ever again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I can't say how much I hate this company. For one thing, I had repeat issues with them dinging my credit despite a perfect auto-payment history. I finally just paid off the loan so I wouldn't have to deal with GM Financial anymore. However, they wouldn't release my title to me! I called DAILY for SEVENTEEN DAYS trying to get the dang title released and overnighted. Some days, I was told there was additional paperwork to fill out and that it would be emailed to me "within four hours" (nothing they could do to speed this up, apparently). Paperwork never arrived. Next rep told me the paperwork wasn't required, and my title had been released for "processing". Two days later, next rep told me title had not been released, and that there was "some kind of hold on it". Two more days later, a rep told me again that a DIFFERENT set of paperwork was required, and that she'd "email it to me within four hours". This. Was. INFURIATING.

In the end, no paperwork on my end was ever required. Almost a month after paying off the loan, the title was finally "released for processing". They then claimed they FedExed it overnight, but couldn't provide me with a tracking number. This continued for over a week until I finally threatened to get a lawyer involved, at which point they conceded that the title had NOT been "released" or FedExed, and they didn't know why. Waited on hold for over an hour to speak to a supervisor, who magically "released" the title for me... FINALLY. It was dropped in the mail that day, but despite me providing a FedEx account number and insisting they overnight it, it was not overnighted. It was instead mailed regularly (although I was charged an exorbitant "expedition fee") and has, to this DAY, still not arrived. DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER FINANCE THROUGH GM FINANCIAL. Absolutely terrible decision.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I made a mistake in March 2018 and paid the wrong account. Unfortunately we have several accounts with GMF and I made a payment to my sons account instead of my wife's. I called to get it corrected right away and surprisingly the customer service person I spoke to was very nice and polite and said "No problem. We will take care of it right away" (I expected her to be rude after I read all the reviews). So every month since then I called GMF and they promised me it would be taken care of and every month I get my statement and it has not been corrected. On top of that they have been charging me a late fee every month also. I have contacted GMF, GM headquarters and my salesperson where I lease my vehicles and nobody so far has been able to or willing to help me. They definitely are not there for the customer so it has to be all about the money.

Personally I like GM vehicles but I will not finance through GMF ever again and I'm not going to go through the hassle of getting a bank loan to lease a vehicle when I can go get a Ford and do the financing right there. It's all about convenience for me and GMF is not convenient at all! I would have a son give me the money and make the payment but I'm worried that if I do they will finally correct my problem and I'll have to start all over again. I thought about refinancing but same issue. Who can I call or email to get this taken care of?

GM Financial Company Information