2. Finance
  3. Car Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.10/5

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

GM Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: July 7, 2020

After leasing a car financed through GM Financial, I was charged $1555 in extra fees! After a 3 year lease, I returned the car with $13,000 UNUSED miles. I was charged for the slightest scratch, smudge, normal tire wear, a mark on the tire rims. I was so shocked by the extra fees that I called GM. I was basically told that with a lease, nothing at all can be different with the car once it’s returned, not even normal wear and tear. I guess I should have parked the car in my garage and paid for not using the car for the 3 year term. I am so angry and I feel like GM is a very dishonest company. Do not finance through this company.

Original review: July 1, 2020

Leased my new car in November. It's July and they still cannot manage to spell my name correctly on my account. They first wanted me to submit a name change request, I had to explain that my name had not changed, but they had entered it incorrectly in their system. Now they've managed to update their website in 'myaccount', but not mail, email, or when they debit the payment from my bank account. Beyond frustrating. Not to mention the amount of time I have to waste to actually get through to a person to try to have it addressed, again.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I made a payment on website. Despite receiving an conformation email the website didn't indicate a payment was processing. 2 days later I get an email telling me my payment is past due. Since the first payment was not pending from my bank I made a second payment. The website then indicated a payment was processing. The next day, today, both payments were taken out of my account. Now I'm being told it will be 15-30days to get refund. That is 30 days of collecting interest on my money before returning it. This is immoral and a terrible business practice!!!! GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!!!

Original review: June 4, 2020

This company is aware of the hardships that many families are facing during the Coronavirus pandemic. However, they still reported my payment as late to the credit bureau, causing a huge decrease in my credit score. I was 31 days past due with a payment scheduled to come out of my account on the 31st day, and the payment was actually pending, and they still reported me as late.

GM everyone in the world knows that many people have been laid off due to the virus, and can’t afford to pay their bills as they normally would. You could at least offer mercy to your customers and stop kicking us while we’re down. You said yes to extending credit to us for a reason. That should mean something to you. Make this right, remove all negative marks made to people’s credit file during the Covid 19 pandemic. The economy will suffer for years as a result of this, and if people have to spend months and years trying to fix their credit that they’ve worked so hard to keep acceptable, when will we ever rebound from this?

Original review: May 29, 2020

GM Financial just dinged my perfect credit and cost me 101 points. I work so hard to keep my credit history perfect and am furious. I turned in my GMC lease return 2 months early to the local dealer. Paid the remaining months per their instructions and assumed I was done. In March I got a letter saying I had not turned in my car yet and needed to pay another month. Two days later another letter saying they did have it and all was good.

Yesterday 5/29, my credit gets popped saying I am delinquent. I called them up and they said they sent me a letter in April and that I owe Property Tax. I have been home for three months (COVID 19) and check mail daily. I never got a later and after one (supposed) notice, they dinged my credit. No call, no second or third notice... Unheard of for a loyal long time GM customer. I ALWAYS pay my bills on time or early. Why go after a consumer like me? Do that to that to deadbeats, not a guy who busts his ** to keep credit/bills perfect. Terrible business practice. DO NOT USE THEM. Lost a customer for LIFE.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Customer service is an all time low. My auto pay canceled without any notification. Somehow, it defaulted to 24 months when the tenure of my lease/loan was 39 months. Once auto pay expired (not to my knowledge) instead of me defaulting on a payment, they used a large property tax payment I made months prior and applied this balance to my account. When this balance expired 5 months later, I was contacted about my "missed payment" which was a big surprise to me. After the customer service agent could not help, I ended up making a $2,500 payment to cover the missed payment and the property taxes I had already paid!

Fast forward two months - auto pay expired again and I was in default again. They used my $2,500 payment as principal AGAIN. So now I STILL owe property taxes, I've missed another payment, and after talking to two customer service reps about my issues, no solution was reached and BOTH actually hung up on me. I have never been more dissatisfied with a company or customer service. I will never use GM Financial again and this has also caused me to consider other vehicles aside from GM.

Original review: May 26, 2020

GM Financial held my payment and processed late causing credit trouble. I was just able to make payment on time due to covid-19 and they due to slow processing reported me 31 days late. I had actually paid my loan payments ahead but this month due to being laid off I was just able to pay on time. It's a consumer scam and they only care about their stock prices. Not their customers. I have been a 30 year customer of GM and will buy a different car because of their reckless neglect.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I purchased a 2017 Chevy Cruze 6 weeks before my 3 year lease was due to expire. A month later I received a bill for excessive mileage plus assorted fees. I contacted the number associated with the bill and was told it was a mistake and to disregard it. 3 days ago someone from GM Financial called me with a new bill and price, almost $600, claiming I owed. They would not answer my questions, only stating I officially turned in this car, then the dealership sold it to me, therefore I owe the excessive mileage. No response when I asked why didn't they charge me excessive wear also. No response when I told them their contract stated no charges if vehicle is purchased before the expiration of lease.

The dealership told me they were on this ASAP, and would pay them if necessary. The next day I received another call from GM Financial telling me I still owed them money. They didn't and wouldn't answer any of my questions again. I'll be refinancing my new loan with anyone else even if I'm charged a higher interest rate. I suggest you do the same.

Original review: May 15, 2020

To begin with, I have bought many GM vehicles in the past, although I normally use Navy Federal for financing. I usually buy pricier cars, in the last ten years I have bought 4 GM vehicles totaling $233,000 (including my current Cadillac V series) and 13 vehicles total. Due to a massive financial hit I took due to COVID, I was unable to make a payment on time, but I always pay within 30 days, and I will be able to be caught up within 3-4 months. Their website says that if you make it within 30 days you do not need to contact them. Long story short, they call me about 5 times a day, and when I answer they are rude and unhelpful. I explained my situation and they don't care, they just act rude, say they'll make a note, and continue to call me five times a day.

In a time when other companies are understanding, such as Ford financial offering 3 months of payments and 3 months deferral, it is disgusting that GM would treat a customer like this. Navy Federal was much better with working with their customers and I regret giving GM financial a chance. Since they are the financial arm of GM, I am now dissatisfied with them as a company and I will never buy another GM vehicle.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I recently leased a vehicle from GM Financial. The customer service during COVID-19 was disappointing. Upon returning the vehicle, we were charged extra fees, despite turning in the vehicle with over 500 miles left. We attempted to turn in the vehicle to the dealership we leased from, however, they were closed. We contacted GM Financial and were told we needed to find a dealer, on our own, willing to accept the vehicle or we would be charged for an additional month. We eventually found a dealership over 30 miles from the location we leased the vehicle from. Due to the inconvenience from the dealership and GM Financial informing us it was not their problem, we had to pay an additional month of insurance. A month after we turn in the vehicle, we receive an invoice for close to $450.

The invoice had an "excess wear charge" and a disposition fee. After calling and being on hold for longer than the conversation took, we found out the excess wear charge was for a missing owners manual. The disposition fee is a fee we have to pay for giving the car back, for them to sell. We have no way of verifying whether or not the manual is actually in the car and overlooked (which we believe to be true), or if it is actually missing. We were told it would be "disputed" but there is no certainty the charge would be reversed. We will not be leasing from GM Financial in the future and will certainly inform our friends and family to do the same.

GM Financial Company Information