Compare Auto Loan Rates

Apply Today and Save - Lower Your Rates

Compare Rates
3.06/5

GM Financial

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

Compare Auto Loan Rates

Apply Today and Save - Lower Your Rates

Compare Rates

438 GM Financial Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 15, 2019

We turned our Chevy Volt lease back in March of 2019. GM Financial has been sending us our monthly payment and info to our PO Box and email address for years as our home address is unable to receive US Mail. We did not hear or receive any information from GM Financial regarding the turn in of Volt turn neither email or US Mail.

In the process of purchasing a vehicle this week a dealership ran my credit and my score went from a 760 to a 515 since April! The Dealer gave me a copy of my Equifax and showed me only one delinquent account that was a GM Financial lease. I called GM Financial immediately to correct the issue and make payment of an over mileage term. The person answering the phone said she couldn't give me any info or allow payment because the account is now in Mitigation.

This outrageous action of GM Financial not contacting me as they had in the past for YEARS has damaged my credit report and consumer purchasing options. The way GM Financial reports the delinquency puts your account in a litigation process which will totally destroy your score across the board for YEARS. Even after you pay it up in full you're screwed.

As a tax paying American working my ** off as the majority of us do to keep a good credit standing. After all of us bailed out GM this is how they treat their American customers. I am in the process of filling actions against GM Financial for their reckless process and I expect to be be collecting Punitive Damages. AND THEY LOST ME FOREVER. I WILL NEVER BUY A SCRAP OF METAL NOR WILL MY CHILDREN'S CHILDREN EVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I took my 2017 Chevy Cruze, which had three months left on its lease, back to the dealership in March to have someone look over the vehicle and answer some questions about the lease-end process. I had no intention of buying a new vehicle, in fact, I was planning to let the lease run out and switch to a different brand - most likely a Subaru. But the salesperson was very convincing and told me I would save a lot of money by sticking with a Chevy. When I asked about wear & tear, he said Chevy offered a $500 rebate to assist with any damage considered excessive and after a visual inspection he said the car was in excellent condition and that there was no way I had damage amounting to more than $500 and would not owe anything on the vehicle. They were running a special and offering several incentives on the Chevy Equinox, so I ended up making a deal that day and left in a new vehicle.

A few weeks later, I went onto my GM Financial account to set up auto payments on my new Equinox, only to find I had a bill for more than $1,000 on my prior lease. I called GM Financial, got the run-around and was told the bill was for excessive wear and tear. I nearly cried. The customer service rep told me that the salesperson, named CJ, at Day Chevrolet in Pittsburgh, PA had lied to me and was not in any way trained to assess the damage and was only trying to get me to buy a new car, saying essentially, I was duped into leasing the Equinox. When I asked GM Financial to please send me a bill for the damage, they told me I had to log onto AutoVinLive and see the report for myself. The website wouldn't let me access the information and GM Financial offered no assistance and refused to send a hard copy to my home.

Several days later I logged back into my account to find the amount owed had dropped to approximately $250. I called again for a bill but received nothing. Three weeks after that, I received a call from GM Financial informing me that I owed $545 dollars on my old lease. Again, no bill or statement of charges was provided and my old lease account is no longer accessible online. The customer service agent stated that she was able to access the inspection report and could see that, among other things, I was being charged $200 for a missing key fob, which I returned to the dealership the day after I had traded in my old car for the Equinox. The representative offered no assistance in helping get to the bottom of the missing key, nor would she provide me with any information about the charges on my account, only advising me to go online and see them for myself.

There is a lot to unwrap here. Not only am I disgusted with the level of customer service provided by GM Financial, but I am also dissatisfied with GM Motor Company, Day Chevrolet, and Autovin (which handles lease-end inspections). I will never, NEVER buy a GM vehicle again and wish I could get out of my current lease. It makes me sick to think I am sending money to a company that treats customers like this. All I asked for was a BILL.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Turned in my lease early. Stopped my auto-pay. Refused at least 5 times to send me a bill. Someone finally "sent a bill to me." Never got it. Refused me access online. Refused to email me the final bill. Reported me 120 days late despite making payments on an imaginary bill that they never sent me.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Turned in my leased auto two months early because I go away for 3 months in the winter. GM stopped my auto pay without telling me. I called and asked for final bill and explained again that I wouldn’t see my mail and needed notice by email like all my other monthly bills from GM were sent. Never sent an email bill. When I got home I paid the final bill that was mailed 35 days before but GM reported to the credit bureau that I was 60 days late because of the auto pay they stopped. I disputed the hit on my credit but GM upheld the 60 day late info. Do not deal with GM Financial!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Alexis ID# **. Erica ID# **. I dropped off my lease at lease end on March 12-2019. It is now June 04-2019 and I still have not received my final bill. I called many times to request the bill every month in between. The statement they all said was "Your bill will be sent 60 to 90 days after the lease as been returned." On May 17th, GM Financial reported a LATE PAYMENT on my account and sent it to the credit bureaus. My credit score dropped 150+ points. THEY STILL HAVE NOT SENT THE FINAL BILL.

I think this is how they can tack on extra charges at the end and have you pay them off quickly without disputes. Over the phone, they stated there will some charges on top of the lease end fee. I was okay with the lease end fee. But they're charging for "wear and tear" items that should not be charged. They should have it inspected at the time of return with the leasee present. They probably falsify items to drive revenue. I called to have them correct this, but they're dismissive and rude on the phone. I've also filed 2 complaints to their complaint system and still have not received a response. It's been over 2 weeks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: May 31, 2019

I received a bill at the end of my lease, long after I had turned in the car, saying that I owed a $395 disposition fee (I've leased with them before and never had to pay that), and $85 for excess wear and tear. There was no details about what this wear and tear was, but I had taken photos all the way around the car in the parking spot where I left it when I returned it to GM. So, I called them to complain, and the agent I spoke to was dismissive, rude and sarcastic. So I called a second time a few days later and the tune was the same.

"The fee was on your contract, no one HAS to call it out specifically to you when you sign up, it's your job to carefully read the contract." So, they're basically saying, "I understand, you didn't read carefully enough to catch that extra fee we tacked on, so that's your fault, and now we've got you." They deny the fact that I have never had to pay this fee before, which is incorrect.

The excess wear they said was from a 6" scratch on one of my wheels. I offered proof that at the time of drop off there was no 6" long scratch. They said they don't accept photos, because they can't prove that the car in the photo is mine. I asked what evidence they had from their third party inspector. They said it's a photo. I asked how they could tell that THAT person's photo was my car. He said they took a photo of the VIN. I said that I too had taken a photo of the vin, time stamped just minutes away from the photo of the wheel, and that I guarantee that their agent didn't have a photo of the vin next to the photo of the wheel, because it's not physically possible. So, their picture can just as easily be a photo of someone else's wheel.

They said, "Well, unless you have documentation that the wheel was repaired..." I said, "What are you talking about, the wheel was not repaired because in my possession it wasn't damaged". "Well, you'll have to provide documentation that it wasn't damaged." I asked how I could possibly know in advance of dropping off my lease that I'd need documentation that the left rear wheel was not damaged? He had no answer. I told him, if you proceed saying that I owe you this $395 disposition fee and the $85 for the made up wheel scratch, then General Motors loses my business forever, and I will warn away anyone else who asks my advice. They said that I still owe that fee, so now GM will never see another dime of my money.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I had a lease on a vehicle for 39 months. At the end of the 39 months, I planned to purchase the vehicle, but was awaiting a back pay sum that I was going to use in conjunction with a loan thru my credit union, and inquired about extending the lease. They informed me that I could extend the lease up to 6 months, in 2 month intervals. I filled out the extension paperwork and THOUGHT I was set. Every 2-3 weeks, I would receive phone calls asking what my intentions were with the vehicle and they would have no documentation of the extension. Then, they would have the first extension, but not the 2nd and I was even into my third extension and they didn't have my second extension paperwork! By the time I was near the end of the third extension, I had finally received my back pay and went about setting up the purchase.

I should of known, with the nightmare of lease extensions (not to mention my automatic payments during the lease mysteriously stopping), that I was asking for trouble but I was set on buying the vehicle. NOTHING BUT FRUSTRATION from that point on. I sent the check, with the info they asked me to provide on the memo. After 2 weeks of not hearing anything or receiving the title in the mail, I called. They had no information regarding the purchase of the vehicle! They had me contact my credit union to find out the status of the check! I called GM Financial back to inform them that the check had been cashed BY THEM and would like my title. They wanted me to call my credit union back again! This time, to have them fax a copy of the front and back of the cashed check! My credit union faxed it to 2 different fax numbers on 2 different days. Amazingly they never received it ANY of the 4 times!

I finally ended up having my credit union email me the scanned check so I could forward it to an email address GM Financial provided and was told I would have to wait almost a week for them "to investigate". I wait 6 days and they forwarded my call to their title department and they couldn't do anything, even though the account shows paid in full, because GM Financial hadn't given them any instructions! The title operator gave me a specific number to call and... wouldn't you know it, after going thru all of the automated jargon, "due to unforeseen circumstances, we are not open at this time, please call back at a later time".

I called the original GM Financial number and explained what was now going on. I get put on a 20 minute hold and when she comes back, tells me that the reason they didn't provide instructions was because I didn't provide that info with the check! Apparently, I needed to provide the Odometer reading and sign it. They have had that information from the past ** signed lease extensions, the last of which I had sent in about a week prior to the check! I'm told that once I receive the form in my email, to print it, sign it, scan it and email it back and call back next Wednesday or Thursday, more delay!

She snidely says that if I want it any faster, I could provide them my FEDEX account number and I could have it sent overnight to me and then overnight it back. I was so infuriated at this point, that I didn't even think about the fact it wouldn't change anything except delay even longer, because the email to me and from me would be an hour, not 1 day here and 1 additional day back! So, needless to say, here I am, 4 weeks into something that should have taken a week, week and a half tops and still no title and more than likely when I call "next Wednesday or Thursday", there will be some new step added.

I will never use GM Financial for anything again, and I would never suggest or allow any relatives, friends, acquaintances to do so either. I could of made this even more detailed (every phone call was a chore) but I have wasted enough time and energy on this whole debacle as is. I tried rating a 0 Star, but it wouldn't let me, that's the only reason it's 1 star.

Original review: May 20, 2019

We purchased a car 4 weeks ago and just made the payment and found out my spouse is terminally ill. I called in to see if they can help and they act like it's no big deal. One rep even said, "that stinks"!!! Wow really. So now I am going to have to deal with repo because medical bills and my family are more important at this point than a car, still no help with GM. We have been loyal GM customers for almost 20 years and paid off many loans with them!

Original review: May 19, 2019

I recently returned my leased, Chevrolet Cruze LTZ. Upon pre inspection, an inspector came to my house and I was charged $176 for a small scratch underneath the front bumper. You have to literally get on your hands and knees to see it. The car I owned for 39 months looked brand new, inside and out!! Even Sal, at Robert Chevrolet said so. It looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I made many calls to GM Financial, finally getting a call back and speaking with supervisor, Karena. She told me there was no way they would waive the fee even as minor as the scratch because it was 6" in length and they only allow 4". BUT she said if I buy another GM product they would waive it. Then I realized, They do this just so you buy another car!!! I have leased many cars before from VW, Mazda, and others and never had an issue. Well they lost a valued customer and I will never buy a GM product again!!! Beware before you lease from GM!!

Original review: May 11, 2019

Do not do business with this company. You will be sorry! If you value your credit score and like to be treated like you deserve this is not the company for you! I will never buy GM again! Please take your business elsewhere.

GM Financial Company Information