Want to lower your monthly Car payment?

Find out if you qualify for lower rates!

Get Matched
  2. Finance
  3. Car Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.51/5

Want to lower your monthly car payment?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

GM Financial was formally known as AmeriCredit before it was acquired by the General Motors Company in 2010. The company prides itself on its strong relationship with their dealers who offer financing solutions to those who purchase automobiles.

Want to lower your monthly Car payment?

Find out if you qualify for lower rates!

Get Matched

Want to lower your monthly car payment?

GM Financial Reviews

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

GM Financial didn’t properly and timely set up my new auto lease, which resulted in me receiving my monthly statement very late. This caused one payment to be late, which they reported to the credit bureaus. This was my first late payment in over 25 years, causing my credit score to drop from 850 to 730. I have not been able to get it corrected despite many attempt. Their customer service is dismal. I have given up and just made an entry into my credit reports that it was their error. After many years of buying GM products, I will never buy another.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Never lease a car from GM unless you plan to be stuck leasing with them forever! They are thieves. They also make it impossible for any other dealer to want to purchase your car by making up some random number that your car is worth.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

It took 6 phone calls (half of which I was disconnected or transferred to a fax machine) to close out my end of lease invoice. I was billed for a disposition fee (which I was told I would not be since I leased a new GM, but jokes on me for believing a word any GM employee says). I had to jump through hoops to prove I didn't have to pay. Between incompetent GM employees and miles of red tape the whole process was a nightmare. Unfortunately I just started a new GM lease, but this is for sure my last one. Was also told at the dealership I would get a disconnect on mile-overage....again jokes on me for believing a word GM says...

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Make sure you ask lots of questions. I turned in my lease 8,000 miles under the lease agreement and the car was well taken care of. No damage. Still got a bill for $395 and they will not waive it because I didn’t buy another new car or lease one from them. At no point was this explained I would have a bill. Or in any of the letters I was getting 1-2 a month for the last year about my lease coming to an end. They have blocked me on Facebook because I was warning people to have buyer beware or use anyone else. Had other leases and never had a fee for turning in my car before. Will never use these guys again. Lost a customer for life over $400 and they do not care.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I leased a car through GM Financial which was returned at the end of the lease in March 2018. I then leased another car through GM Financial. One year later January 2019 I received a bill from them for 499.00 in 2018 taxes for the first car. I contacted them and explained I only had the car for 3 months and to send me a new tax bill. I was told this will take up to 8 weeks for them to hear back from my city tax office at which time I will receive a new bill. ONE YEAR later, after calling every month and being told this will be taken care of I am NOW told that because GM paid the taxes for the full year, even though I no longer had the car, lease was closed when I got my new car lease, I am to pay those taxes to them and then I am supposed to dispute this with my tax office.

This is beyond comprehension. When I got the new lease I paid my bill in full. I understand that they pay the taxes in full but it should be their responsibility to get the money they paid and not mine. I am so upset and once I turn this new car in will have to find an alternative to GM Leasing as I find this to be a very deceptive way of working. I will be reporting this to my attorney generals office. I am giving them one star since it would not allow me to submit with none selected.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Financial?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Probably the worst financial institution I've ever dealt with. I've had better monetary transactions on a FOB in Afghanistan. Definitely getting my loan away from them as quick as possible. Unpersonable, unkind, and definitely doesn't "try hard" for their military as they claim so profusely.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Really disappointed with how a 15 year loyal GMC lease person still gets charge for a turn in fee. I have had the same terrain leased over and over again for 15 years. 2 years ago took on a second lease through gmc and last December took a third vehicle lease on with gmc. For my son who is in the army. I had to return one lease this December which I made all payments on. And was charged for turn in fee. I would think that loyalty would account for something especially with two other vehicle on with them. But sounds like this didn’t matter to customer service and they are only looking more money. You can believe that when the next two cars come up they will not be through gmc.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

We have used GM Financial a few times. the last time we knew we would owe a bit for going over miles on a turned In lease and possibly a couple payments for turning it in early. We turned the truck in with brand new tires and cleaned out in great shape and received a bill of over double what we anticipated. We called and inquired and they told Us we put the wrong size tire on the truck and charged us more than 100 dollars More a tire than the the gm dealer charges. They gave us 30 days to come up with 2600 hundred dollars. We offered to settle because we didn’t agree they were the wrong size, or we would pay the full amount if they returned the tires they said were trash.

Whenever we called and asked to speak with management they would tell us that management would call us back after being on hold for over a half hour. We left messages for management never returned. We offered to settle, and pay the amount for tires that the dealership charges, they refused! My husband and I have paid all our bills on time always. After being stonewalled and ignored by this company I mailed a check for full amount. And thought that was the end of it. We recently checked our credit score and they filed us as delinquent and docked us 100 points on our almost perfect credit on top of it. We waited for a return call and were trying to work with them and they completely stone walked us and never once returned a call. Overall the customer service is horrible. They lost money on the lease turn in and made sure they could nit pick to help recoup some of the money they lost.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

All was well while I leased my car with GM Financial, but then I decided to buy a different car and not to renew a lease so there was a penalty fee, which was fine. I received the letter in the mail on 12/11 and it was dated for 12/2 for the payment due date of 12/23. All fine and dandy. I forgot to pay it with it being the holidays, so 5 days past due I get a credit alert that they sent the amount unpaid to collections stating it was 30 days past due!! 5 days past due...really?!

I called and they said “oh it was a mistake but can’t be taken off your credit report until it’s paid.” I asked if this was standard procedure and they said, "Oh it was a fault in our system." So for a fault in your system my credit score takes a huge hit? For the size of the company you would think mistakes like this wouldn’t happen, but here I am with a credit score 45 points lower because of their faulty system. I understand I was late on the payment and I would pay the penalty fee seeing that it was late, but to send to collections it’s ridiculous. Will never use them again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I acquired my first lease, 2017 Traverse, in August of 2016. I was mildly satisfied until I discovered that after filing for bankruptcy in Oct 2018, and reaffirming my lease, GM Financial stopped reporting my payments for 14 months. This has now prevented me from obtaining an affordable new lease. My credit score and interest rate had been greatly and negatively affected by this. I am not happy.

GM Financial Company Information