2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.14/5

Carvana is an online vehicle retailer that sells used cars, trucks and SUVs. Customers can browse its vast inventory, purchase a car with cash, receive financing or trade in their existing vehicles. Carvana certifies all of its vehicles and provides a guarantee for 100 days or 4,189 miles, whichever comes first. CarvanaCare and Carvana Gap Coverage provide additional protection against damage and theft.

BOTTOM LINE

Carvana provides a quick and simple online process for buying used cars. Customers can have their vehicles delivered or picked up. The company takes away the stress of visiting multiple dealerships.

PROS

• 7-day money-back guarantee
  • Convenient online process
  • Wide selection

CONS

• No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
  • No price negotiation

Top Carvana Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking about using Carvana. I have to be honest, I was skeptical ... I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return policy and warranty. The buying process itself was very clear, easy, and straightforward.

I read so many negative reviews that I was extremely apprehensive. From day one I expected something to go wrong. I really wanted this Dodge though. Delivery was early, car was great (we had it inspected by Dodge). Everything has gone well despite my fears.

How does Carvana work?

Carvana is an online used car dealership that allows customers to buy vehicles, trade them in, sell them or finance them through the website.

The vehicles Carvana sells come from several sources, including auctions, customers who trade in or sell their cars to Carvana and partnered dealerships. Carvana stores its cars at inspection centers across the country. When you purchase a vehicle, they ship it to the closest Carvana location to you, where Carvana employees give it a final inspection.

Carvana conducts a 150-point inspection to ensure quality. The cars sold by the company have clean records with no reported accidents, no frame damage and no fire or flood damage. Carvana backs this with a 100-day or 4,189-mile limited warranty.

Carvana delivery and pickup

If you have your car delivered, Carvana employees arrive with your vehicle at the scheduled time and verify your driver's license and proof of insurance. Next, you take the car for a test drive to be sure you’re happy with it. After your test drive, you sign your registration. Your purchase comes with a seven-day money-back guarantee.

For pickup, Carvana has a vehicle vending machine. A Carvana employee meets you at the pickup time to verify your license and registration and give you a novelty coin to insert into the vending machine. Once the vehicle is out of the vending machine, you take it for a test drive. If you're happy with it, you then sign the registration.

If you’re outside of the delivery region for the car you want, Carvana does its best to help you. The company subsidizes up to $200 of your airfare cost if you need to fly to get your vehicle.

Carvana prices

The amount you spend on Carvana primarily depends on the cost of the car you purchase — vehicles listed on Carvana range from $6,900 to $99,900. You can select free delivery for many regions, but you must pay a nonrefundable delivery fee if you live outside those areas. The delivery fee varies based on your location.

Carvana FAQ

Is Carvana a good way to buy a car?
Carvana provides an easy-to-use online platform for car shoppers. The company is a good option if you prefer a quick process that doesn’t involve visiting several dealerships.
Can you negotiate price with Carvana?
Carvana doesn’t participate in price negotiation. The company states it lists cars at the lowest price to provide you with a stress-free process.
Can I finance my Carvana purchase with a credit union or bank?
You can finance your used car purchase through a bank or credit union. It’s a good idea to receive preapproval with your lender before starting the buying process.
Can I still get financing from Carvana if I have bad credit?
Carvana states it makes an effort to work with any level of credit. The only requirements are to be 18 years or older, make $10,000 annually and not be in active bankruptcy proceedings.

Is Carvana good?

Carvana can be an excellent choice for shoppers if you want to avoid visiting multiple dealerships. The company's online listings make the process straightforward and quick. Carvana offers delivery and pickup options for customers, and it offers financing options for nearly anyone. We recommend Carvana as a simple option for used-car shopping with a money-back guarantee.

Carvana Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I was SO nervous the night before I went to pick up my Carvana car. I tossed and turned for hours. I was actually nauseous worried that I had made a massive mistake buying a car online unseen for so much money. I kept telling myself 7 days, no matter what you have 7 days to completely change your mind. When I got to the "car vending machine" and saw my beauty all my fears went away. It was gorgeous, drove flawlessly. I went and had an inspection done and they couldn't find anything wrong. It was almost like new. Had only been a rental car for a few months prior and that's it. Every day I get in I think "Mm I love this car". I could not have been more pleased.

Getting my tag info and paperwork was a breeze. I am surprised to see so many negative reviews, I don't know if I just got lucky or if it's a case of most people that have good experiences don't bother to leave reviews. Today my husband is now shopping for a car for him on Carvana that we hope to pick up next week, after he saw what a good experience I had. Fingers crossed it goes well twice!

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

We purchased a car with Carvana in Oct 2020. The process was smooth, the advocates were very helpful, patient and informative. It took several hours to complete the transaction but no more than it would have at a dealer. The car was delivered a week and half after we purchased the car and the car was in excellent condition and exactly as described in the ad. We paid cash for the car. When the car was delivered we got the temporary plates via FedEx the next day.

The final registration at the local town office was completed 1 working day after the temporary plates expired. Two issues we experienced were: 1. the car in the ad appeared to be in a town 30 miles away but was actually in another state 1000miles away. However it was delivered within the 15 day period. 2. We were not told we could self register the car since we did not finance it through Carvana and that would have shortened the registration considerably. Overall we got a great car, as advertised for the most part in a timely fashion and are pleased with the results.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I traded a vehicle for a vehicle Carvana had. From start to getting the vehicle was "3" days. I was surprised based off the reviews I've seen. When the man rolled up with the vehicle I bought, everything went as I was told. There were some cosmetic issues and a minor mechanical issue (brake rotors and calipers) but they quickly put in to their warranty company for me to go take it to their in network company to get an estimate and have it repaired at their cost (zero dollars to me besides taking the time to go do this).

At this point, I'm at day number (5) of my (7) day money-back guarantee or get another vehicle of my choice. The only thing I'm waiting to see at this point is how the registration process goes. I've seen a lot of bad reviews about how long it takes to get the registration for the vehicles people have bought. Just to let everyone know... It's like any other vehicle you buy used... Take it to a mechanic so they can look at it during your (7) day time period.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I decided that I wanted to purchase a car during the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. A lot of dealerships in my area were closed or it was difficult to test drive before purchase. We were down to one car and recently decided to move an hour away from the city so it was really important for us to have a 2nd car. I kept seeing all of the Carvana commercials and I just knew it was meant to be. Within an hour of shopping I found the vehicle that I wanted and 15 minutes later I was approved. We scheduled my delivery and my job contacted me that I was to return back to work on the day of my delivery. I thought I was going to have to hold off for another day but Carvana was happy to switch the delivery location.

A few weeks later I get a notification from Carvana that Motor Vehicles did not process my registration and tags. It was a monster headache trying to call MVA and MVA was closed to the public. I reached out to Carvana and they jumped right on it. The representative contacted them and kept me updated through the entire process for almost a month. Finally I was able to get an appointment with MVA, my tags were processed and Carvana got my hard plates sent out immediately. They were with me the entire time making sure that everything was taken care of. I would highly recommend Carvana to anyone that wants an hassle free easy process.

Original review: April 29, 2020

My experience was:

Intriguing
    Good
    Great
    Frustrating
    Good/Poor/Horrible

Great

My experience at Carvana was Intriguing as I really didn't know what to expect. I buy everything online, so it only made sense for me to look into Carvana after seeing the television advertising. I wondered how would I get financing, how would I pick out a car, would I like my car, how would I receive my car. The Good part happened when my financing was approved and I had picked out my vehicle. The Frustrating part occurred when Carvana needed my insurance company to Fax them the RMV-1 form. My insurance company said they only Email them, Carvana wanted it Faxed. After many, many phone calls to Geico and Carvana, and some unbelievable long wait times, somehow the copy of the RMV-1 that was emailed to me was finally accepted by Carvana.

The Great part happened when Britney from Carvana called me and said "Congratulations, You Are All Set". I could hear the smile in her voice over the telephone. The Good/Poor/Horrible came next. Yep all 3 in a row, all together. (Good part)- My car was set to be delivered on Monday April 20th at 12:30. I was so, so excited to see my car in person and to take it for a short ride as Carvana tells you is allowed. (Poor begins here)- I waited until 1pm and started to try and call Carvana. There was a 40 minute wait time by phone....I kid you not!...I tried to get on the online chat and that was a 20 minute wait for a human! So, I waited. I waited. I waited. At 2:00, I finally got thru to the "advocate" that was delivering my car. He clearly had no idea what was going on or where he was supposed to be. He stated he would arrive with my car by 2:30, no later.

I waited and at 2:45, finally I saw the Carvana truck with my car. The car was removed from the truck and I checked it over. I asked to take it for a quick spin and the "advocate" told me in Massachusetts temporary plates are not allowed. I would have to wait 2 more days until they got my car registered for me to take it on the road! I say this is truly the Poor/Horrible part. There was definitely a lot of miscommunication on the part of Carvana. Had I been informed that MA does not allow temp. plates, that would not have been such a shock! I have no idea about the registry rules as I'm a nurse! Also if I had been informed it would be another 2 day wait before I could drive my car at all, I wouldn't have been so very disappointed!

Next, still in the horrible phase, I signed all the paperwork. I gave my downpayment check to Ryan, my advocate, and he took a picture of that and my license and then put the check with his paperwork and he left. After resigning myself to the fact that I could only look at my car for 2 days, I calmed down UNTIL....I got an email....NO PHONE CALL....JUST AN EMAIL....saying Carvana is trying to reach me. I called them and was told they couldn't process my downpayment as I didn't give them a cc account number. I explained I paid that by the bank check that I gave Ryan. She argued with me and insisted the driver did not have the check and I must have kept it! I was so lost for words!

She then told me to just give them my cc information so they could withdraw the funds. I refused. She told me they would be "following" me to get their funds. I sent emails to everybody at Carvana I could think of. Finally, I got an EMAIL....NOT A PHONE CALL....stating they miraculously found the bank check that the driver had 'misplaced' and my downpayment was paid in full. The last part...the great part when I got Carvana off of my back with all of their false accusations....and I finally got to drive my car! She is a beauty! She is bright red, compact, and runs like a thoroughbred! I might do business with Carvana in the future. I would really have to give it some thought.

Sincerely, Deb **

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

In 50 years of buying cars, this was the worst experience of my life. These people need to be put out of business. What started as an amazing technology driven experience, (I’m retired IT), everything since has been an unmitigated disaster. First they screwed up the docs, had to resubmit multiple times. Then they tried to delay delivery. When delivered, the driver said, "Man I hate to tell you but this truck has a crappy paint job." He showed obvious rust on the bumper, undisclosed repaint that looked like a 5 yr old with a rattle can had painted it. I found layers of dog hair in the bed carpet.

I called Carvana and started the process. This was the vehicle I wanted. Equipped like I wanted, and a 2011 Ford ranger with 50k miles is a rare bird indeed. Carfax had checked out, but the “150 point inspection” was done by a blind guy. I agreed to keep the vehicle if they would fix the paint. A separate company SilverRock handles warranty claims. They sent me a list of body shops they have arrangements with. First shop wouldn’t even look at it. They said they won’t do Carvana/SilverRock because they waste time doing estimates only to have them partially or completely denied. Getting a little queasy... Next shop took a look and then spent 45 minutes complaining about Carvana/SilverRock...

Back on the phone to Carvana, ten phone calls. Uploaded photos, three times. SilverRock sends me three more body shops, but these are not “affiliated”. Estimates ranged from $5k to 8k to basically repaint the entire vehicle. 15+ phone calls with Carvana and SilverRock. Finally get approval to get the truck painted. In the meantime my temporary tags had expired. More chats phone calls, etc. One excuse, oh the cops are being lenient because of the pandemic. Not where I live!!!

Finally get the check for taxes/tags on January 4th. Deposit it and go get the taxes and tags. Today I got a bounced check notice from my bank. Carvana’s check had been returned. Call Carvana, send photos of bounce notice. First girl tells me I have to call my bank and find out. Hell they don’t know, and because of this weird Refer to Maker notation on the check. Call WellsFargo in Arizona. They can’t tell me why it was returned, I have to call Carvana. Now I’m pissed. Call Carvana. I might hear something Tuesday, but the lady kept insisting that what happened wasn’t possible while she’s looking at the return check notice. What ever you do, NEVER buy a car from these incompetent lying crooks!!! You’ve been warned.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I bought a Truck on Dec 2020, My new truck was deliver on time everything did look good and they took my trade In. While driving the new truck I was told that I did not have brake lights. Turn out that the truck had an electrical Issued. I was told by Carvana that I had two choices, take it to a repair shop or Swap the truck. I decided to Swap, so I had to wait 10 days. Sign new contracts for my swap (JEEP). The last day before the swap I was contact by Carvana that they send my Jeep to a different City, so it was a delay. Sign another contract and waited 7 days more. My concerns was that the 400 miles / 7 days return policy was expire, but I was told not to worry because it was their mistake.

After the end of the 7 days I was contact again telling me that they didn't know what was going but that I had to wait for the next delivery schedule. At that point I told them that I changed my mind so they advise me to pick a different Truck. By my mistake I did an chose a 2017 Nissan Titan. So here we go again. I had to wait 7 more days. I sign over 4 contracts I had to add and subtract 4 different cars in my insurance and had to paid extra $234.00 So to tape it off, my original Trade was sitting on Carvana Lot and they never contact the lien holder, when the lien holder was trying to find out when they were getting the Payoff on that truck Carvana kept transferring from one person to another, typical of Carvana.

At the end Carvana agent told the lien company that it was never a trade contract, so the lien company send tow truck to the Carvana Lot and took my original Truck back from them. Now Carvana is trying to say that it was my fault so I had to pay the REPO charge and month payment for them to consider it a good trade. So I had to pay $690.00. I fax all new Information to them and waited 2 hrs in the phone to make sure that the Contract still stand and that they will deliver by January 16, 2021.... And here are the results of this FIESTA BOWL.... I am still waiting.... Lol I been on the phone for the past 2.5 Hrs... I got several Ideas of this outcome.

1) I will have to wait another week to get my new Nissan.
    2) Because the 400 miles / seven day are way pass
    3) My trade value will drop.
    4) I will be force to stay with my original Chev. Truck I got back in Dec 19, 2020.

5) Because I droved 1,200 since Dec 19, 2020 I will need to pay $1.00 a mile X 800 miles total of $800.00.

Stay tune for the second part of this review... Comments are welcome!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Finding a vehicle, buying the vehicle, delivery of the vehicle was great. The registration process has been beyond atrocious. To get the vehicle delivered you have to provide your DL and verification that you have the appropriate insurance. Soooo why ask me again and again for the same information that I already provided? After something like the third time I called the state driver services office and they said that my insurance company forwarded the insurance information to them THE DAY THAT I COVERED THE VEHICLE! I called the customer no-service number and the guy gave me some lame story about their 'vendor' who does the registration work. Ridiculous!

We are now closing in on two months since I received the vehicle and still no registration card or license plate. If you want a smooth purchase process then you may get good results.... But brace yourself for the registration hassle and keep your DMV on speed dial. You might even want to get ready to ask the DMV for a temp tag extension. I can't see myself using Carvana again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

As an ER doctor, I needed an easy, seamless car delivery as my schedule is unpredictable. My 1st purchase was cancelled by text 12 hrs before delivery; they discovered water damage that was somehow missed during the original inspection. Carvana never called to explain (I finally got through to customer service and had to ask myself). They offered nothing for their mistake and my trouble. I have been without transportation for 3 weeks. I'm currently hoping my 2nd purchase with them will actually deliver on time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I traded in a 2014 Audi A6 and was buying a 2015 Audi A8.

1. They will never tell you where the check needs to be mailed to.
    2. Surprise- do not mail check to address they list on their Purchase order. Its a special address which is not easily available to be known.
    3 . Check was received at their facility in Indiana but they wanted check at a facility in Arizona. And they want me to find where check is? Seriously??? it was with caravan person it shows on tracking info his name and Signature you find it- they kept saying we will call you and update you once they locate check and nothing happened -
    4. Next thing my contract was "expired" and there is no way to stop this- System wont let you (more about 'system' later :) in the new contract they lowered my trade in value by $170. Keep in mind I did not drive car a single mile between two offers they made.
    5. I asked why price was lowered in 2 days for my trade-in. They said it's "the system" and system decides price. I said can I talk to system. They said no. I said, "Can you talk to system and explain to him/her?" They said no. I said then change the system if it doesn't listen to anyone sensible.
    6. Delivery was even worse. They change delivery dates on you till last day and it's at their discretion when they will deliver and you will have no option but to accommodate them.

7. If you want to deal with a company with too many inefficient process and no one can tell you what is going on and why. This is your place to buy car. Otherwise look somewhere else. You will likely get better customer service.

Carvana Company Information