2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.16/5

Carvana is an online vehicle retailer that sells used cars, trucks and SUVs. Customers can browse its vast inventory, purchase a car with cash, receive financing or trade in their existing vehicles. Carvana certifies all of its vehicles and provides a guarantee for 100 days or 4,189 miles, whichever comes first. CarvanaCare and Carvana Gap Coverage provide additional protection against damage and theft.

BOTTOM LINE

Carvana provides a quick and simple online process for buying used cars. Customers can have their vehicles delivered or picked up. The company takes away the stress of visiting multiple dealerships.

PROS

• 7-day money-back guarantee
  • Convenient online process
  • Wide selection

CONS

• No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
  • No price negotiation

Top Carvana Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking about using Carvana. I have to be honest, I was skeptical ... I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return policy and warranty. The buying process itself was very clear, easy, and straightforward.

I read so many negative reviews that I was extremely apprehensive. From day one I expected something to go wrong. I really wanted this Dodge though. Delivery was early, car was great (we had it inspected by Dodge). Everything has gone well despite my fears.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

How does Carvana work?

Carvana is an online used car dealership that allows customers to buy vehicles, trade them in, sell them or finance them through the website.

The vehicles Carvana sells come from several sources, including auctions, customers who trade in or sell their cars to Carvana and partnered dealerships. Carvana stores its cars at inspection centers across the country. When you purchase a vehicle, they ship it to the closest Carvana location to you, where Carvana employees give it a final inspection.

Carvana conducts a 150-point inspection to ensure quality. The cars sold by the company have clean records with no reported accidents, no frame damage and no fire or flood damage. Carvana backs this with a 100-day or 4,189-mile limited warranty.

Carvana delivery and pickup

If you have your car delivered, Carvana employees arrive with your vehicle at the scheduled time and verify your driver's license and proof of insurance. Next, you take the car for a test drive to be sure you’re happy with it. After your test drive, you sign your registration. Your purchase comes with a seven-day money-back guarantee.

For pickup, Carvana has a vehicle vending machine. A Carvana employee meets you at the pickup time to verify your license and registration and give you a novelty coin to insert into the vending machine. Once the vehicle is out of the vending machine, you take it for a test drive. If you're happy with it, you then sign the registration.

If you’re outside of the delivery region for the car you want, Carvana does its best to help you. The company subsidizes up to $200 of your airfare cost if you need to fly to get your vehicle.

Carvana prices

The amount you spend on Carvana primarily depends on the cost of the car you purchase — vehicles listed on Carvana range from $6,900 to $99,900. You can select free delivery for many regions, but you must pay a nonrefundable delivery fee if you live outside those areas. The delivery fee varies based on your location.

Carvana FAQ

Is Carvana a good way to buy a car?
    Carvana provides an easy-to-use online platform for car shoppers. The company is a good option if you prefer a quick process that doesn’t involve visiting several dealerships.
    Can you negotiate price with Carvana?
    Carvana doesn’t participate in price negotiation. The company states it lists cars at the lowest price to provide you with a stress-free process.
    Can I finance my Carvana purchase with a credit union or bank?
    You can finance your used car purchase through a bank or credit union. It’s a good idea to receive preapproval with your lender before starting the buying process.
    Can I still get financing from Carvana if I have bad credit?
    Carvana states it makes an effort to work with any level of credit. The only requirements are to be 18 years or older, make $10,000 annually and not be in active bankruptcy proceedings.

Is Carvana good?

Carvana can be an excellent choice for shoppers if you want to avoid visiting multiple dealerships. The company's online listings make the process straightforward and quick. Carvana offers delivery and pickup options for customers, and it offers financing options for nearly anyone. We recommend Carvana as a simple option for used-car shopping with a money-back guarantee.

Carvana Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I decided that I wanted to purchase a car during the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. A lot of dealerships in my area were closed or it was difficult to test drive before purchase. We were down to one car and recently decided to move an hour away from the city so it was really important for us to have a 2nd car. I kept seeing all of the Carvana commercials and I just knew it was meant to be. Within an hour of shopping I found the vehicle that I wanted and 15 minutes later I was approved. We scheduled my delivery and my job contacted me that I was to return back to work on the day of my delivery. I thought I was going to have to hold off for another day but Carvana was happy to switch the delivery location.

A few weeks later I get a notification from Carvana that Motor Vehicles did not process my registration and tags. It was a monster headache trying to call MVA and MVA was closed to the public. I reached out to Carvana and they jumped right on it. The representative contacted them and kept me updated through the entire process for almost a month. Finally I was able to get an appointment with MVA, my tags were processed and Carvana got my hard plates sent out immediately. They were with me the entire time making sure that everything was taken care of. I would highly recommend Carvana to anyone that wants an hassle free easy process.

Original review: May 1, 2020

I bought my car from Carvana in December 2019 and was very pleased with the purchase and the whole process. HOWEVER, getting my registration was another story altogether. They somehow dropped the ball on it, and had to send me new temporary plates in February but said they'd get it all squared away. Come Mar 1, same thing, new temp plates, said they'd get it all squared away. Apr 1, still no registration and though they said they'd send me new temp plates, they never did, so my registration has been expired since then. Thankfully, due to the pandemic, they're not stopping me for this. Today is MAY 1 and I JUST got my plates yesterday, BUT they mailed them to my old house, where I lived in December, even though I've updated my address with them and every time I called or chatted, made sure they confirmed it would go to my new address. So I had to drive to my old house and pick up the plates. Not ideal.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: April 29, 2020

My experience was:

Intriguing
      Good
      Great
      Frustrating
      Good/Poor/Horrible

Great

My experience at Carvana was Intriguing as I really didn't know what to expect. I buy everything online, so it only made sense for me to look into Carvana after seeing the television advertising. I wondered how would I get financing, how would I pick out a car, would I like my car, how would I receive my car. The Good part happened when my financing was approved and I had picked out my vehicle. The Frustrating part occurred when Carvana needed my insurance company to Fax them the RMV-1 form. My insurance company said they only Email them, Carvana wanted it Faxed. After many, many phone calls to Geico and Carvana, and some unbelievable long wait times, somehow the copy of the RMV-1 that was emailed to me was finally accepted by Carvana.

The Great part happened when Britney from Carvana called me and said "Congratulations, You Are All Set". I could hear the smile in her voice over the telephone. The Good/Poor/Horrible came next. Yep all 3 in a row, all together. (Good part)- My car was set to be delivered on Monday April 20th at 12:30. I was so, so excited to see my car in person and to take it for a short ride as Carvana tells you is allowed. (Poor begins here)- I waited until 1pm and started to try and call Carvana. There was a 40 minute wait time by phone....I kid you not!...I tried to get on the online chat and that was a 20 minute wait for a human! So, I waited. I waited. I waited. At 2:00, I finally got thru to the "advocate" that was delivering my car. He clearly had no idea what was going on or where he was supposed to be. He stated he would arrive with my car by 2:30, no later.

I waited and at 2:45, finally I saw the Carvana truck with my car. The car was removed from the truck and I checked it over. I asked to take it for a quick spin and the "advocate" told me in Massachusetts temporary plates are not allowed. I would have to wait 2 more days until they got my car registered for me to take it on the road! I say this is truly the Poor/Horrible part. There was definitely a lot of miscommunication on the part of Carvana. Had I been informed that MA does not allow temp. plates, that would not have been such a shock! I have no idea about the registry rules as I'm a nurse! Also if I had been informed it would be another 2 day wait before I could drive my car at all, I wouldn't have been so very disappointed!

Next, still in the horrible phase, I signed all the paperwork. I gave my downpayment check to Ryan, my advocate, and he took a picture of that and my license and then put the check with his paperwork and he left. After resigning myself to the fact that I could only look at my car for 2 days, I calmed down UNTIL....I got an email....NO PHONE CALL....JUST AN EMAIL....saying Carvana is trying to reach me. I called them and was told they couldn't process my downpayment as I didn't give them a cc account number. I explained I paid that by the bank check that I gave Ryan. She argued with me and insisted the driver did not have the check and I must have kept it! I was so lost for words!

She then told me to just give them my cc information so they could withdraw the funds. I refused. She told me they would be "following" me to get their funds. I sent emails to everybody at Carvana I could think of. Finally, I got an EMAIL....NOT A PHONE CALL....stating they miraculously found the bank check that the driver had 'misplaced' and my downpayment was paid in full. The last part...the great part when I got Carvana off of my back with all of their false accusations....and I finally got to drive my car! She is a beauty! She is bright red, compact, and runs like a thoroughbred! I might do business with Carvana in the future. I would really have to give it some thought.

Sincerely, Deb **

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Purchased a Toyota Camry in 2017. Purchase was fairly easy, my vehicle arrive at the indicated day, however, when I paid it off early with a cashier's check, 4week-5weeks after which the company acknowledged they had received the check (which was certified), but they would not apply it to the account. I kept receiving call to pay my monthly note. When they had receive a CC of 8,000 dollars. I have a difficult time with the financing company used by Carvana to send my the title of my car. I have was about to file a compliant with BBB. So I will not use that financing company again. Carvana should work with a company with good customer service to retain their reputation.

Also from reading the reviews, I have carvana has not slacked in their customer service and integrity just because they are getting making names as the years go by and their customers have increased and for that reason they have watered down their customer service and integrity. And if they do, it will catch with them, when people beginning to have bad experience, they will stop honoring them. Also there other companies that has started vending and selling online car buying/selling. So just as anyone tried carvana, the other companies can be tried also. I do plan to purchase again from carvana, I pray I have the same good experience like last time. People keep up the reviews.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I just bought a beautiful RR Velar from Carvana and I would recommend the experience to anyone that is thinking about using Carvana to buy their next car. I have to be honest, I was skeptical and my girlfriend tried to talk me out of it, however I found a great deal and I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return policy and warranty. The buying process itself was very clear, easy, and straightforward. In fact, I would say it was superior to a traditional car dealer transaction. There was no haggling and paperwork was simple. Everything was done online.

Everything was smooth and perfect until I got the car delivered. Unfortunately there were some undisclosed cosmetic issues with the vehicle which I was not expecting. Although I was a bit annoyed, a quick call to Carvana eased all doubts. They were professional in handling the issues, and took care of all of them in a manner which I believe was representative of good customer service. The claims with Carvana’s insurance provider were quickly approved and I am getting the issues fixed. I am very satisfied with how that was handled. Long story short, I am happy with the whole purchase overall, and even though there were some minor issues I believe Carvana dealt with them properly. I ended up keeping the car and I recommend Carvana to anyone on the lookout for a car.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Monday: Bought car online through Carvana, given a delivery date of the following Monday. Deal included a trade-in. Website said someone would reach out within a few days. Friday/Saturday: Heard nothing from Carvana all week, so called to find out status. Was told what was still needed, submitted that. They said the owner of the trade-in had to sign the title over in person. I explained he could not; he's in a nursing home with dementia, but that I hold his power of attorney. They asked if I could submit a copy of his drivers license. I couldn't, so they told me the title would have to be transferred to my name.

I went to see a notary who said that could take a few weeks but wasn't necessary in PA. I went home, called Carvana to see if they would accept what notary said. That person asked me if I could submit a copy of my dad's license, which I had since gotten and could at that point. He said that was all they needed. I did that and the submission was accepted, everything was ready to go. (You can see all of this on Carvana's website). Great, we're all set for Monday. Except... SUNDAY: I got an email saying that the delivery would be delayed due to Covid. I called Carvana, the person said it was still scheduled for Monday. Two hours later I got a call from someone else, saying that he just found out the delivery had to be rescheduled because someone quit and there wasn't anyone else to drive the truck. We re-scheduled for...

WEDNESDAY: The car arrives, we test drive. Many more chips on the hood than noted on the website description, but fine, we'll touch up. The driver then tells me that he can't take my trade-in because my dad isn't there to sign the title. I tell him the situation, the makes a call and then tells me no, they can't take the car without my dad there. So, I told him to take his car back. Mostly angry because of the time wasted with them. Needless to say, we won't be wasting any more time on them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I realize that we're in the middle of a pandemic, but it should have absolutely NO impact on Carvana's ability to answer a phone. It is entirely possible to route phone calls to your customer service reps who might be working from home. It's ridiculous that every time I have needed to speak with someone there, I get a recording that says my wait time is greater than 1/2 an hour. You can leave your name for them to call you back, and that MIGHT happen within 3-4 hours, if you're lucky. In the meantime, I purchased a car through them for my daughter. It was delivered to us on a Saturday and we took it for a test drive. It worked fine for three days and then it wouldn't start. I realized it needed a new battery, which SHOULD have been covered by Carvana, since in addition to their limited warranty, I had purchased an extended warranty.

The problem was that in order to have the cost covered, I first had to schedule a 1 hour diagnostic test to determine the issue. Then, if it was covered, I'd have to schedule another appointment to make the repair. As I only had a few days left before my 7 day return period expired, I decided I would take it to get the battery replaced and then call them to request a refund. My thinking was that if it was something else more serious, I'd find out within my 7 day return window, and I could still return/exchange the car. I shelled out $175 for a new battery and learned from the mechanic that the battery was a 2015 in the 2016 Chevy Sonic car, which means, it was the ORIGINAL battery for the car and was never replaced. So much for Carvana's 180 pt. inspection on all of its vehicles. That battery should have been replaced BEFORE it was delivered to us.

Long story short, I went back and forth with them, was on hold at one point for two hours before deciding to add my name to their call back option. Then I waited another 3 hours to hear back from them. They said they couldn't reimburse me because I needed to have a diagnostic. I told them I couldn't have a diagnostic because the old battery was already replaced!

Their chat "bot" is a joke, also. I keep getting a million emails and texts from them saying that I need to return my general power of attorney form in order to complete my registration. I returned it to them using the FedEx envelope they gave me last week, and now, I'm going to have to sit on the phone or wait hours again for them to get back to me when they feel like it to resolve this issue. Don't waste your time. They are shysters who don't care at all about their customers. You'd do better to buy directly from owner. At this point, I would rather have wasted hours at a car dealership where I could actually talk to a live person. I am so disappointed with my experience and their refusal to do the right thing for their customers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I ordered a car for my daughter. Audi 2016 made the funds available, signed the contracts and set up insurance. On the day of delivery Carvana said that the car was released. I ask by who? They could not give me an answer and get the car I had set up. They obviously had a technical glitch and would not honor their commitment. After holding on the phone with back and forth the rep offered me 250.00 off my next purchase. I said they need to honor the contract. She told me that Skyler will call me (that's her manager). Skyler offered me 250.00 off my next car. I had spent a week with these millennial ding dongs and Skyler kept telling me he felt my pain. Give me a break. Back to researching and working with live experience people. Went I Audi today got a better deal plus 2 year warranty. Forget these bozo's (they won't know who that is) Carva No Carva No Carva NO.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I have had an absolutely HORRIBLE experience with Carvana to the point where I feel like this is all a big prank. It's almost comical at this point, but let me assure you – I'm definitely not laughing. I purchased a car with Carvana in December 2019. It arrived late and when I finally received it, there was water damage on the ceiling that was not disclosed to me when I purchased it. Within a few days I called Carvana to initiate a return and scheduled someone to pick it up on December 26.

On Christmas night, I was driving back from a dinner gathering when the plastic bottom of the car detached from the body and started dragging down the freeway under the car. I had to pull off the shoulder and try to reattach it but it kept detaching. There also happened to be a rare downpour in LA that night and I spent my Christmas sitting in a parking lot across town in the rain for hours, waiting for a tow truck in the middle of the night and finally getting home at 2am.

The next day the car gets picked up and is thankfully out of my hands, but this is only the beginning. Later that day, I get notifications from Carvana that my DMV paperwork had been submitted. I end up contacting them on 3 different occasions about this and all three customer services reps tell me that it's just an automatic notification and that my paperwork wasn't submitted.

Weeks later, I receive license plates and registration in the mail for this car. I end up contacting them again, and they tell me to mail these documents to their head office in Tempe and that they'll handle it. Well, they didn't handle it - the car is STILL registered to me in March, when I contact them again. Finally someone tells me that I need to fill out a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability with the DMV, which I do. I wish this was told to me right off the bat, because had anything happened with the car between December and March (worst case scenario a hit and run), it would have been on MY record. This possibility infuriates me.

The saga continues. Last night (9 months later), I received a parking ticket in the mail for the vehicle. I've since learned that filling out a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability doesn't remove your name from the registration. It's on the "new" owner to update the registration, which clearly Carvana/the new owner hasn't done. I now have to deal with the City of Hermosa Beach's parking violations department to sort this out. Until the registration is updated, I will continue to receive things like parking tickets. I spoke to the DMV and if whoever the new owner of the car is gets into a hit and run (as an example), it will still come back to me, however I won't be held liable since I've released liability on it.

All I want is to be rid of this vehicle completely. Working with Carvana has been a complete nightmare and so much of my time (work/personal/sleep) has been eaten up by dealing with this and the stress that has come with it. Sure, car dealerships suck, but at least you have a brick and mortar place and real life humans to interact with. My recommendation is to avoid Carvana at all costs. There is no accountability and the damage that they can do to your DMV record is not worth it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Carvana is a JOKE! I paid for car and cleared all documents and verification day one, and they continued a barrage of texts about what I hadn’t done. Check email but there was no email. Call customer service and hold for 45 minutes. Then they promised a delivery date, after taking my money, no delivery and no contact to say there is an issue. Nothing. 45 minutes more wait times and I finally gave up. Very poor customer service, don’t meet commitments, and, If cars are ever delivered, have to assume they’ll be subpar. Do Not Do Business with these people!!

Carvana Company Information