2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

Carvana is an online vehicle retailer that sells used cars, trucks and SUVs. Customers can browse its vast inventory, purchase a car with cash, receive financing or trade in their existing vehicles. Carvana certifies all of its vehicles and provides a guarantee for 100 days or 4,189 miles, whichever comes first. CarvanaCare and Carvana Gap Coverage provide additional protection against damage and theft.

BOTTOM LINE

Carvana provides a quick and simple online process for buying used cars. Customers can have their vehicles delivered or picked up. The company takes away the stress of visiting multiple dealerships.

PROS

• 7-day money-back guarantee
  • Convenient online process
  • Wide selection

CONS

• No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
  • No price negotiation

Top Carvana Reviews We Found

I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking about using Carvana. I have to be honest, I was skeptical ... I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return policy and warranty. The buying process itself was very clear, easy, and straightforward.

I read so many negative reviews that I was extremely apprehensive. From day one I expected something to go wrong. I really wanted this Dodge though. Delivery was early, car was great (we had it inspected by Dodge). Everything has gone well despite my fears.

How does Carvana work?

Carvana is an online used car dealership that allows customers to buy vehicles, trade them in, sell them or finance them through the website.

The vehicles Carvana sells come from several sources, including auctions, customers who trade in or sell their cars to Carvana and partnered dealerships. Carvana stores its cars at inspection centers across the country. When you purchase a vehicle, they ship it to the closest Carvana location to you, where Carvana employees give it a final inspection.

Carvana conducts a 150-point inspection to ensure quality. The cars sold by the company have clean records with no reported accidents, no frame damage and no fire or flood damage. Carvana backs this with a 100-day or 4,189-mile limited warranty.

Carvana delivery and pickup

If you have your car delivered, Carvana employees arrive with your vehicle at the scheduled time and verify your driver's license and proof of insurance. Next, you take the car for a test drive to be sure you’re happy with it. After your test drive, you sign your registration. Your purchase comes with a seven-day money-back guarantee.

For pickup, Carvana has a vehicle vending machine. A Carvana employee meets you at the pickup time to verify your license and registration and give you a novelty coin to insert into the vending machine. Once the vehicle is out of the vending machine, you take it for a test drive. If you're happy with it, you then sign the registration.

If you’re outside of the delivery region for the car you want, Carvana does its best to help you. The company subsidizes up to $200 of your airfare cost if you need to fly to get your vehicle.

Carvana prices

The amount you spend on Carvana primarily depends on the cost of the car you purchase — vehicles listed on Carvana range from $6,900 to $99,900. You can select free delivery for many regions, but you must pay a nonrefundable delivery fee if you live outside those areas. The delivery fee varies based on your location.

Carvana FAQ

Is Carvana a good way to buy a car?
    Carvana provides an easy-to-use online platform for car shoppers. The company is a good option if you prefer a quick process that doesn’t involve visiting several dealerships.
    Can you negotiate price with Carvana?
    Carvana doesn’t participate in price negotiation. The company states it lists cars at the lowest price to provide you with a stress-free process.
    Can I finance my Carvana purchase with a credit union or bank?
    You can finance your used car purchase through a bank or credit union. It’s a good idea to receive preapproval with your lender before starting the buying process.
    Can I still get financing from Carvana if I have bad credit?
    Carvana states it makes an effort to work with any level of credit. The only requirements are to be 18 years or older, make $10,000 annually and not be in active bankruptcy proceedings.

Is Carvana good?

Carvana can be an excellent choice for shoppers if you want to avoid visiting multiple dealerships. The company's online listings make the process straightforward and quick. Carvana offers delivery and pickup options for customers, and it offers financing options for nearly anyone. We recommend Carvana as a simple option for used-car shopping with a money-back guarantee.

Carvana Reviews

Original review: May 1, 2020

I bought my car from Carvana in December 2019 and was very pleased with the purchase and the whole process. HOWEVER, getting my registration was another story altogether. They somehow dropped the ball on it, and had to send me new temporary plates in February but said they'd get it all squared away. Come Mar 1, same thing, new temp plates, said they'd get it all squared away. Apr 1, still no registration and though they said they'd send me new temp plates, they never did, so my registration has been expired since then. Thankfully, due to the pandemic, they're not stopping me for this. Today is MAY 1 and I JUST got my plates yesterday, BUT they mailed them to my old house, where I lived in December, even though I've updated my address with them and every time I called or chatted, made sure they confirmed it would go to my new address. So I had to drive to my old house and pick up the plates. Not ideal.

Original review: April 29, 2020

My experience was:

Intriguing
    Good
    Great
    Frustrating
    Good/Poor/Horrible

Great

My experience at Carvana was Intriguing as I really didn't know what to expect. I buy everything online, so it only made sense for me to look into Carvana after seeing the television advertising. I wondered how would I get financing, how would I pick out a car, would I like my car, how would I receive my car. The Good part happened when my financing was approved and I had picked out my vehicle. The Frustrating part occurred when Carvana needed my insurance company to Fax them the RMV-1 form. My insurance company said they only Email them, Carvana wanted it Faxed. After many, many phone calls to Geico and Carvana, and some unbelievable long wait times, somehow the copy of the RMV-1 that was emailed to me was finally accepted by Carvana.

The Great part happened when Britney from Carvana called me and said "Congratulations, You Are All Set". I could hear the smile in her voice over the telephone. The Good/Poor/Horrible came next. Yep all 3 in a row, all together. (Good part)- My car was set to be delivered on Monday April 20th at 12:30. I was so, so excited to see my car in person and to take it for a short ride as Carvana tells you is allowed. (Poor begins here)- I waited until 1pm and started to try and call Carvana. There was a 40 minute wait time by phone....I kid you not!...I tried to get on the online chat and that was a 20 minute wait for a human! So, I waited. I waited. I waited. At 2:00, I finally got thru to the "advocate" that was delivering my car. He clearly had no idea what was going on or where he was supposed to be. He stated he would arrive with my car by 2:30, no later.

I waited and at 2:45, finally I saw the Carvana truck with my car. The car was removed from the truck and I checked it over. I asked to take it for a quick spin and the "advocate" told me in Massachusetts temporary plates are not allowed. I would have to wait 2 more days until they got my car registered for me to take it on the road! I say this is truly the Poor/Horrible part. There was definitely a lot of miscommunication on the part of Carvana. Had I been informed that MA does not allow temp. plates, that would not have been such a shock! I have no idea about the registry rules as I'm a nurse! Also if I had been informed it would be another 2 day wait before I could drive my car at all, I wouldn't have been so very disappointed!

Next, still in the horrible phase, I signed all the paperwork. I gave my downpayment check to Ryan, my advocate, and he took a picture of that and my license and then put the check with his paperwork and he left. After resigning myself to the fact that I could only look at my car for 2 days, I calmed down UNTIL....I got an email....NO PHONE CALL....JUST AN EMAIL....saying Carvana is trying to reach me. I called them and was told they couldn't process my downpayment as I didn't give them a cc account number. I explained I paid that by the bank check that I gave Ryan. She argued with me and insisted the driver did not have the check and I must have kept it! I was so lost for words!

She then told me to just give them my cc information so they could withdraw the funds. I refused. She told me they would be "following" me to get their funds. I sent emails to everybody at Carvana I could think of. Finally, I got an EMAIL....NOT A PHONE CALL....stating they miraculously found the bank check that the driver had 'misplaced' and my downpayment was paid in full. The last part...the great part when I got Carvana off of my back with all of their false accusations....and I finally got to drive my car! She is a beauty! She is bright red, compact, and runs like a thoroughbred! I might do business with Carvana in the future. I would really have to give it some thought.

Sincerely, Deb **

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Purchased a Toyota Camry in 2017. Purchase was fairly easy, my vehicle arrive at the indicated day, however, when I paid it off early with a cashier's check, 4week-5weeks after which the company acknowledged they had received the check (which was certified), but they would not apply it to the account. I kept receiving call to pay my monthly note. When they had receive a CC of 8,000 dollars. I have a difficult time with the financing company used by Carvana to send my the title of my car. I have was about to file a compliant with BBB. So I will not use that financing company again. Carvana should work with a company with good customer service to retain their reputation.

Also from reading the reviews, I have carvana has not slacked in their customer service and integrity just because they are getting making names as the years go by and their customers have increased and for that reason they have watered down their customer service and integrity. And if they do, it will catch with them, when people beginning to have bad experience, they will stop honoring them. Also there other companies that has started vending and selling online car buying/selling. So just as anyone tried carvana, the other companies can be tried also. I do plan to purchase again from carvana, I pray I have the same good experience like last time. People keep up the reviews.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I just bought a beautiful RR Velar from Carvana and I would recommend the experience to anyone that is thinking about using Carvana to buy their next car. I have to be honest, I was skeptical and my girlfriend tried to talk me out of it, however I found a great deal and I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return policy and warranty. The buying process itself was very clear, easy, and straightforward. In fact, I would say it was superior to a traditional car dealer transaction. There was no haggling and paperwork was simple. Everything was done online.

Everything was smooth and perfect until I got the car delivered. Unfortunately there were some undisclosed cosmetic issues with the vehicle which I was not expecting. Although I was a bit annoyed, a quick call to Carvana eased all doubts. They were professional in handling the issues, and took care of all of them in a manner which I believe was representative of good customer service. The claims with Carvana’s insurance provider were quickly approved and I am getting the issues fixed. I am very satisfied with how that was handled. Long story short, I am happy with the whole purchase overall, and even though there were some minor issues I believe Carvana dealt with them properly. I ended up keeping the car and I recommend Carvana to anyone on the lookout for a car.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I thought Carvana would be great but next time I'd rather see and drive the car before it being dropped off to me. Carvana only has locations in a few major cities. The closest one to me at the time was Atlanta Georgia. I was living in NC so decided to have them drop it off. Overall the car looked just like the pictures on the website. There were some hidden fees about how much it cost to deliver the car. So your interest rates go up slightly. Other than that, I actually think the site is amazing. Carvana has great reviews and the interest rates are great. You get to drive the car for a month and if you don't want to keep it you can return it hassle free. That's what they say anyway but I'm sure there's some type of catch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

Original review: May 31, 2020

I inquired about selling my car to this place and let me tell you, their "offer" is a complete JOKE. They offered $4500 less than the trade-in value on my car and made the excuse that it's "adjusted for local market". Um, NO, I did the research on my local market and your offer was total malarkey. Offering $11,000 for a $20,500 car with a trade-in value of $15,500 is asinine. I wouldn't recommend selling them your car. It's more of a rip-off than trading it to a large dealership.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I got Ford Escape from Carvana (Kansas City) 5 days back (05/23/2020). The coolant was low when I picked up the car, Carvana staff told me no worries. Should be a small issue (they have 180-inspection before sale) and SilverRock (the contract coverage company) would assist me to fix any potential issues. I drove back from KC to South Dakota. 3 days later, SilverRock called me and assigned a local dealer for diagnosis. It turned out needing a new engine for the car. Still in 7-day return window, I contacted with Carvana (an advocate called Jacob) and they asked me to drive back the car. Remember the car is eating coolant into engine, how can I take this risk to drive back. Then, they said they need $399 for pick the car up to return it. Folks, 180-inspection is a joke! Once the car has issues, you will be told no worries Carvana has good coverage and keep visiting garages. Good luck to those car buyer!!!!

Original review: May 28, 2020

I read Carvana's bad and good reviews. That my first reaction was not to trust Carvana, and I was hesitant of buying a car online without seeing and test drive the car first. Especially, I was about to purchase an almost $26k car with tax and registration almost $28k. Anyway, I decided to give Carvana a chance to prove the negative comments were wrong, but I totally regret trusting Carvana.

I did all the requirements and follow all their instructions as far as getting the loan, sending them the info. So they could verify the financing is good, sent them a copy of the check, we had three-way call so they could verify the funds in my account for the downpayment, I contacted my car insurance to add the vehicle I was going to purchase, and I made a reservation to rent a car because the closest Carvana's vending machine was 4 hrs. from where I live. I planned to drive for 4 hrs. to pick up the car since there was a $399 delivery charge outside their delivery area. I had to wait a week to schedule the pick up so I could schedule it between my work schedules.

A day before the pick up I called Carvana to make sure the car had been delivered to Carvana's Birmingham, AL vending machine where I was supposed to do the pick-up. I wanted to make sure the car was there before I drive 4 hrs. Carvana customer service assured me the car was there and ready for me to pick it up. 5 hours later I received a call from Carvana stating they want to reschedule the pick up because the car has a suspension problem and there was an engine light on that their mechanic still trying to fix. Which none of it ever mention in the vehicle descriptions.

I gave it a 1 star, 0 if I could because: 1.) I wasted my time running around doing the paperwork trying to do my part to buy the car. 2.) I have to pay 10 days of interest because Carvana wanted a copy of the check by May 21st to verify the loan is good and so they could confirm the delivery and pick up is good for May 28th. 3.) For a week no one told me there's a suspension issue and engine light problem until a day before the pick up which Carvana confirmed it was good to go for pick up on May 28th as scheduled. And 4.) I spent time canceling the rental vehicle, spoke to my loan officer to cancel the check, pay interest on the check, I transferred the funds out of my account before Carvana takes it out, I canceled the mechanic who was supposed to check the car for pre-inspection and I had to call the car insurance again to delete the car out of my insurance.

All this work and now I'm searching for another car to buy after wasting 2 weeks dealing with Carvana. So if you want to take a chance and do all these and not knowing for sure if you would have the car you want after searching for the right car, which hopefully a good reliable car, because you could not really trust Carvana for their words...then GOOD LUCK!

Original review: May 27, 2020

First, I'll start with the pricing. They put a little badge on a listing saying "Priced to move!" "$2500 under value!!" but when you lookup the value yourself, it is ALWAYS at the top of the scale. I looked up 10+ cars, all with the same result.. overpriced! Ripoff #1. Next comes the trade-in. They valued my car at $1800 and said it's not negotiable, the bluebook trade-in value is listed at $4800-$5700. It has very low miles and is very good condition. That's ripoff #2.

Now, for the "get pre-qualified now" I filled everything out but it seems there are no set terms. They change depending on the car you are currently looking at, usually interest rates are affected by things like length of loan, sometimes the year, or mileage can be a factor. Carvana changes by the car you look at, I looked at two different 2019 Genesis G80's, and it gave me two different interest rates, the only difference was the color! Now for the real kicker. I have a pretty good credit score (over 750) and they want to charge me 18.9%. That is absurd, most of their competition is offering 70+ month financing at 2% or less right now. I have credit cards with lower interest than their car loans! I tried to contact them, but was only told that they do not negotiate under any circumstances. Their loss....

Please be aware of these points while you're making your buying decisions. Carvana is putting the "shifty used car salesman" back into car sales. They are trying to take advantage of people at every turn. Insultingly low trade-in offers, ridiculous interest rates and higher-than-market prices on the cars they're selling. They are the "undercarriage protection coating" of the car sales world.

Original review: May 23, 2020

Sold my vehicle in 10 days, quote-acceptance-time to think about it- evaluation-payment-gone to the next owner. Truly a positive experience from the excellent pickup person to the auto text messages and a few days- to think about it, as I loved this vehicle - and wanted to purchase a larger home. So it had to go.

Carvana Company Information