Get Started

2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

3.1/5 (562 ratings)

About Carvana

Carvana is an online vehicle retailer that sells used cars, trucks and SUVs. Customers can browse its vast inventory, purchase a car with cash, receive financing or trade in their existing vehicles. Carvana certifies all of its vehicles and provides a guarantee for 100 days or 4,189 miles, whichever comes first. CarvanaCare and Carvana Gap Coverage provide additional protection against damage and theft.

Pros

• 7-day money-back guarantee
  • Convenient online process
  • Wide selection

Cons

• No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
  • No price negotiation

Bottom Line

Carvana provides a quick and simple online process for buying used cars. Customers can have their vehicles delivered or picked up. The company takes away the stress of visiting multiple dealerships.

Top Carvana Reviews

Verified

I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking about using Carvana. I have to be honest, I was skeptical ... I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return po...

Verified

I read so many negative reviews that I was extremely apprehensive. From day one I expected something to go wrong. I really wanted this Dodge though. Delivery was early, car was gr...

How does Carvana work?

Carvana is an online used car dealership that allows customers to buy vehicles, trade them in, sell them or finance them through the website.

The vehicles Carvana sells come from several sources, including auctions, customers who trade in or sell their cars to Carvana and partnered dealerships. Carvana stores its cars at inspection centers across the country. When you purchase a vehicle, they ship it to the closest Carvana location to you, where Carvana employees give it a final inspection.

Carvana conducts a 150-point inspection to ensure quality. The cars sold by the company have clean records with no reported accidents, no frame damage and no fire or flood damage. Carvana backs this with a 100-day or 4,189-mile limited warranty.

Carvana delivery and pickup

If you have your car delivered, Carvana employees arrive with your vehicle at the scheduled time and verify your driver's license and proof of insurance. Next, you take the car for a test drive to be sure you’re happy with it. After your test drive, you sign your registration. Your purchase comes with a seven-day money-back guarantee.

For pickup, Carvana has a vehicle vending machine. A Carvana employee meets you at the pickup time to verify your license and registration and give you a novelty coin to insert into the vending machine. Once the vehicle is out of the vending machine, you take it for a test drive. If you're happy with it, you then sign the registration.

If you’re outside of the delivery region for the car you want, Carvana does its best to help you. The company subsidizes up to $200 of your airfare cost if you need to fly to get your vehicle.

Carvana prices

The amount you spend on Carvana primarily depends on the cost of the car you purchase — vehicles listed on Carvana range from $6,900 to $99,900. You can select free delivery for many regions, but you must pay a nonrefundable delivery fee if you live outside those areas. The delivery fee varies based on your location.

Carvana FAQ

Is Carvana a good way to buy a car?
Carvana provides an easy-to-use online platform for car shoppers. The company is a good option if you prefer a quick process that doesn’t involve visiting several dealerships.
Can you negotiate price with Carvana?
Carvana doesn’t participate in price negotiation. The company states it lists cars at the lowest price to provide you with a stress-free process.
Can I finance my Carvana purchase with a credit union or bank?
You can finance your used car purchase through a bank or credit union. It’s a good idea to receive preapproval with your lender before starting the buying process.
Can I still get financing from Carvana if I have bad credit?
Carvana states it makes an effort to work with any level of credit. The only requirements are to be 18 years or older, make $10,000 annually and not be in active bankruptcy proceedings.

Is Carvana good?

Carvana can be an excellent choice for shoppers if you want to avoid visiting multiple dealerships. The company's online listings make the process straightforward and quick. Carvana offers delivery and pickup options for customers, and it offers financing options for nearly anyone. We recommend Carvana as a simple option for used-car shopping with a money-back guarantee.

Carvana Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

Original review: May 5, 2021

For me actually clicking that buy button was the hardest part. In the past I would have an idea of what I wanted, walk into a dealership and have them show me what they have and yada yada yada. Rinse and repeat at dealerships until I find a car that fits the bill. I felt this made me research a little more into what I was purchasing (which is a good thing) knowing I couldn't actually see it first, but the 7 day return and swap eased my worry on that a bit. In all I ended up liking that I had more control over my decision rather than a salesman pushing his own inventory.

Once I finally pushed that buy button it was all smooth from there. Took about 10 days to get to me which I was told upfront and understandable because of Covid. After that it took 35 days for my registration to come in. I didn't have to call anyone at any point. Had to send a total of 1 email providing some identity proof. Now driving in a new car and didn't have to go anywhere for it. It seems it can be 50/50 on good or bad experience with Carvana. So I wanted to put out my good experience. I would definitely recommend Carvana to anyone looking for a used car. I will use them again when my wife's car comes due to upgrade.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2021

This was my first purchase through Carvana, the car buying process was fairly easy especially since you could do it off of your phone which is great. I was supposed to get my vehicle a week later after everything was confirmed, but they had a issue with one of their trucks that was bringing the car to my house. That was no problem, I understand things happen. So I called in a little mad because I was eager to get the car. The person I spoke to on the phone was very nice and helped me figure out when I could get the car, he also credited me for having to deal with this issue!

Now, the day my car comes last Saturday the 27th of March. Everything was scheduled to be here on time for 12pm Saturday. I get a call at about 11-1130 saying they don’t have enough trucks and that when they took the car off of the other truck it scraped my front bumper. So they said I could pick it up at the one hub that’s about 45 minutes away from so I said yes! They also took pictures of the damage to the front bumper and will be having that fixed free of cost! All in all, I was happy with everything. I understand things happen! Thanks again Carvana!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I was SO nervous the night before I went to pick up my Carvana car. I tossed and turned for hours. I was actually nauseous worried that I had made a massive mistake buying a car online unseen for so much money. I kept telling myself 7 days, no matter what you have 7 days to completely change your mind. When I got to the "car vending machine" and saw my beauty all my fears went away. It was gorgeous, drove flawlessly. I went and had an inspection done and they couldn't find anything wrong. It was almost like new. Had only been a rental car for a few months prior and that's it. Every day I get in I think "Mm I love this car". I could not have been more pleased.

Getting my tag info and paperwork was a breeze. I am surprised to see so many negative reviews, I don't know if I just got lucky or if it's a case of most people that have good experiences don't bother to leave reviews. Today my husband is now shopping for a car for him on Carvana that we hope to pick up next week, after he saw what a good experience I had. Fingers crossed it goes well twice!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

We purchased a car with Carvana in Oct 2020. The process was smooth, the advocates were very helpful, patient and informative. It took several hours to complete the transaction but no more than it would have at a dealer. The car was delivered a week and half after we purchased the car and the car was in excellent condition and exactly as described in the ad. We paid cash for the car. When the car was delivered we got the temporary plates via FedEx the next day.

The final registration at the local town office was completed 1 working day after the temporary plates expired. Two issues we experienced were: 1. the car in the ad appeared to be in a town 30 miles away but was actually in another state 1000miles away. However it was delivered within the 15 day period. 2. We were not told we could self register the car since we did not finance it through Carvana and that would have shortened the registration considerably. Overall we got a great car, as advertised for the most part in a timely fashion and are pleased with the results.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I decided that I wanted to purchase a car during the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. A lot of dealerships in my area were closed or it was difficult to test drive before purchase. We were down to one car and recently decided to move an hour away from the city so it was really important for us to have a 2nd car. I kept seeing all of the Carvana commercials and I just knew it was meant to be. Within an hour of shopping I found the vehicle that I wanted and 15 minutes later I was approved. We scheduled my delivery and my job contacted me that I was to return back to work on the day of my delivery. I thought I was going to have to hold off for another day but Carvana was happy to switch the delivery location.

A few weeks later I get a notification from Carvana that Motor Vehicles did not process my registration and tags. It was a monster headache trying to call MVA and MVA was closed to the public. I reached out to Carvana and they jumped right on it. The representative contacted them and kept me updated through the entire process for almost a month. Finally I was able to get an appointment with MVA, my tags were processed and Carvana got my hard plates sent out immediately. They were with me the entire time making sure that everything was taken care of. I would highly recommend Carvana to anyone that wants an hassle free easy process.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Excellent service. Delivered the quality vehicle to the house, given ample opportunity to test drive, no pressure, no hassle. The delivery specialist was excellent. I was skeptical, but had a great buying experience.

Resolution response: May 12, 2021

I originally left a 3-star review to reflect on my experience with Carvana at the time. Six days later, I can say that Carvana exceeded my expectations. They fixed every single issue that was wrong with my car and I had zero issues dealing with the local mechanic. In fact, I am so impressed by the local mechanic, I can’t imagine going elsewhere. The seven-day guarantee is real, as is the warranty. That said, please remember YOU are your own best advocate and be prepared to advocate for yourself, if necessary.

Original review: May 7, 2021

NB: Carvana did extend the guarantee period, so I am still on the fence about whether or not I will keep the vehicle. Pros: Eliminates the headache of dealing with a traditional used car dealership. Cons: They are not 100% truthful. Carvana makes a big deal about their “rigorous reconditioning” process. They also purportedly have a 150 point inspection that cars are supposed to go through PRIOR to delivery.

This was not the case for my purchase. First and foremost, delivery day was a complete mess. About 2 hours before my scheduled delivery time, I received a call letting me know my car would be okay. Oddly, the the “advocate” advised that I did not have to take delivery of the vehicle. Okay. Instead of the advocate keeping me abreast of the progress, I had to make multiple calls throughout the day to check on the status of the delivery. I later learned that there was an issue with the brakes and the vehicle had to go into the shop. Ooookkkkaaayyyy.

Finally, the car gets delivered. It was only at delivery that the advocate noticed one of the hub-caps was missing. What happened to the 150 point inspection? How was this missed? She told me she would put in an “after-sale” repair request (which she did. However, once again, I had to track down and confirm this was done.). Also, the car had failed the emissions test earlier that day, so I would have to take it in to retest. How did they know it failed ON DELIVERY DAY? Because that’s when they took it in for emissions. More on that later.

Thankfully, I had to take the car on the highway within the 7-day period. At 60-mph, the car was shaking. Based on past experience with an SUV, I knew that the car should not be shaking and that this was likely an alignment issue. I called the local office and the ONE knowledgeable person (a gentleman) who actually fulfills the role of an advocate helped me. He set me up with their local repair shop and extended the guarantee period. That was on Monday, May 3, 2021. I couldn’t bring it in until today. Friday, May 7, 2021. In the interim, I learned the following:

*sway bar link-broken
    *transmission fluid-dirty
    *license plate battery-dead
    *coolant-overfilled

*front-tire-dry rot

All of this adds up to very sloppy work on Carvana’s behalf. I am still at a loss for how anyone managed to miss the hubcaps when they did the inspection. And if an oil change was actually done, how do you miss the transmission fluid and coolant. On the bright side, I was able to bring the car into the shop bright and early this morning. However, a 90-minute inspection has exceeded four hours at this point.

Carvana came highly recommended to me and I suspect it is a good service in need of a few tweaks here and there. My advice is to be fully aware. Ask lots of questions before you take delivery: was the 150-point inspection completed? If yes, WHEN was it completed. Was the oil change performed? If yes, when was it performed. Print out that list and CHECK as much as you can. Little things like the license plate battery being out (happened to me) may be an indicator that the inspection was not done. INSIST that they follow their own rules and policies. Down to the tire dressing.

It should NOT be your job to take care of the emissions testing. Please do not take delivery of your vehicle until they have fulfilled everything they said they would. They certainly wouldn’t give you extra time to pay if you are late or if decided to be sloppy with your finances. This was, I hope, an instance of extremely sloppy work. It should not have fallen to ME to get the emissions check done or enforce their own 150-point inspection. Finally, a word about my local Nashville office—if they don’t want to be an advocate and help Carvana’s customers, there are other career choices.

Carvana response

Your detailed response highlights points in our process that need improvement. We truly appreciate the time that you took to share your experience with us. We aim for every purchase to be organized and convenient from start to finish, so it is very disheartening to hear that we didn’t achieve this during your Carvana journey. We know that many customers select to purchase from Carvana because of the convenience, and we want to be sure that convenience is lasting far past the 7-Day Money Back Guarantee, however it seems like we missed the mark with your vehicle while completing our 150-point inspection. All of our vehicles come with a 100 day/4,189 mile warranty for an additional peace of mind, but we are very sorry for the frustration we have caused you. There is absolutely no excuse for the condition of the vehicle at the time you received it, and we are so sorry for the additional inconveniences that occurred while trying to get the vehicle repaired. After reviewing your account, we do see you are working with our warranty provider SilverRock to address your concerns. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (800) 333-4554.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 4, 2021

I was in the process of buying a car from them. I had picked out the car and had it set for delivery. The delivery was originally set for a Wednesday. The delivery date was moved without an explanation to Sunday. Then, because of logistical issues it was moved again to the Monday after next. They told me they would even pay me $25 a day for the inconvenience. When I finally received the car they denied me the money and there were 2 significant marks on the passenger side that were not there when the agreement was made. They claim they will fix it but I have to take it 20-25 miles away and do it within a small period of time. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but I will never do business with them again.

Carvana response

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding your recent experience with Carvana. We pride ourselves on the quality of our vehicles and the efficiency of our customer advocates, and we apologize that in this situation we have fallen short of both. Your vehicle was delayed due to transportation issues, and there is no excuse for the delays that you experienced. Our advocates should be in constant contact when it comes to keeping you updated regarding the transport delays, and we apologize that this was not the case. Additionally, we apologize for the issue you experienced with the vehicle once you received it at the time of the delivery. The condition your vehicle arrived in was not up to Carvana standards either. We should have annotated more of the larger marks on the website and we are sorry for that. The appropriate fixes should have been done prior to delivering the vehicle and we want you to know we understand the inconvenience of having to take the vehicle to a repair facility on your own time. If we are able to improve your experience in any ways, please give us a call at (800) 333-4554.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I’ve sold one vehicle to Carvana about 2 years ago and it went pretty smooth so I assumed selling another vehicle would be a no brainer. My current experience trying to sell my vehicle has been absolutely terrible, and has me seriously questioning if I ever want to do business with them again. If you enjoy sitting on hold for an hour or more then Carvana is the company for you. Trying to reach someone to talk to is practically impossible, they just keep re-directing you to someone else without actually helping you solve your issues. The only way to contact customer service is through their telephone number. Their “live chat” online is just a bot, and there’s no customer service email or extensions for any of the representatives. Trying to get connected to someone you’ve previously spoken to is impossible. I’ve even had a representative try to contact me to a supervisor after I explained my issues and there was still a forty minute wait time.

Each time I try to call to speak to someone regarding additional paperwork required, or emails I was told by previous representatives that I’d be receiving, I’m forced to wait on hold for an hour or more in some cases. If you’re fortunate enough to wait on hold until the hour and a half mark you’ll be greeted with a high pitch screeching tone which will force you to hang up. Their customer service is absolutely terrible. If you have too much time on your hands and hate yourself give Carvana a call, or maybe refer your worst enemy.

Carvana response

We would like to thank you for coming back to Carvana for a second time, but we are so sorry to hear that your experience was less than perfect this time around. Carvana strives to create a stress-free car buying experience and it sounds like we missed the mark in providing a timely service to you.  Please accept our apologies for any undue inconvenience while attempting to speak with our advocates. We have been experiencing an increase in our call volume, which has resulted in longer than normal wait times. Please accept our apologies for the hassle we have caused in order for you to sell your vehicle to us. The proper teams have been notified of your experience to hopefully prevent it from occurring again. Nonetheless, thank you for your patience and for working with our team to get everything completed. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: May 3, 2021

So, we purchased a vehicle through this company thinking it would be an excellent idea during the pandemic.. The actual sale itself went smooth.. However, we were told we had to get the car inspected when our registration arrived. & that Carvana would pay us any fees back.. That was a LIE.. They refuse to pay back.. Also, the brakes are rusty and the pads are worn out.. Had to replace BOTH.. Carvana refused to pay for that.. This car is fairly new with very low mileage on it.. This is totally UNACCEPTABLE!!! Be sure to get the car checked over in your week they give you to return it before accepting it.. BUYER BEWARE!! The shop we took it to said they get "lemons" from Carvana all the time...

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Here at Carvana, transparency and reliability are paramount to the overall customer experience. We would like to apologize regarding any inadvertent miscommunication and for your experience that transpired, as our goal is to create a seamless process for our customers. In terms of the mechanical concerns you mentioned, all of our vehicles go through two separate inspections- our initial 150-point inspection and a second pre-delivery inspection prior to the delivery of the car. None of our vehicles should come with any mechanical issues, and we are more than happy to look into this for you to reach an amicable solution.  Please reach out to SilverRock, our trusted warranty partner, in order to have your concerns reviewed.

Additionally, we will use your feedback as a learning opportunity to better our customer service and ensure our advocates are being thorough on each call. We can assure you that we have passed on your feedback to our management team regarding your experience communicating with our advocates. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns by calling us at 1-800-333-4554. Thank you for choosing Carvana.

Carvana Company Information