Get Started

2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

3.2/5 (999 ratings)

About Carvana

Carvana is an online vehicle retailer that sells used cars, trucks and SUVs. Customers can browse its vast inventory, purchase a car with cash, receive financing or trade in their existing vehicles. Carvana certifies all of its vehicles and provides a guarantee for 100 days or 4,189 miles, whichever comes first. CarvanaCare and Carvana Gap Coverage provide additional protection against damage and theft.

Pros

• 7-day money-back guarantee
  • Convenient online process
  • Wide selection

Cons

• No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
  • No price negotiation

Bottom Line

Carvana provides a quick and simple online process for buying used cars. Customers can have their vehicles delivered or picked up. The company takes away the stress of visiting multiple dealerships.

Top Carvana Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking about using Carvana. I have to be honest, I was skeptical ... I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return po...

Verified

I read so many negative reviews that I was extremely apprehensive. From day one I expected something to go wrong. I really wanted this Dodge though. Delivery was early, car was gr...

How does Carvana work?

Carvana is an online used car dealership that allows customers to buy vehicles, trade them in, sell them or finance them through the website.

The vehicles Carvana sells come from several sources, including auctions, customers who trade in or sell their cars to Carvana and partnered dealerships. Carvana stores its cars at inspection centers across the country. When you purchase a vehicle, they ship it to the closest Carvana location to you, where Carvana employees give it a final inspection.

Carvana conducts a 150-point inspection to ensure quality. The cars sold by the company have clean records with no reported accidents, no frame damage and no fire or flood damage. Carvana backs this with a 100-day or 4,189-mile limited warranty.

Carvana delivery and pickup

If you have your car delivered, Carvana employees arrive with your vehicle at the scheduled time and verify your driver's license and proof of insurance. Next, you take the car for a test drive to be sure you’re happy with it. After your test drive, you sign your registration. Your purchase comes with a seven-day money-back guarantee.

For pickup, Carvana has a vehicle vending machine. A Carvana employee meets you at the pickup time to verify your license and registration and give you a novelty coin to insert into the vending machine. Once the vehicle is out of the vending machine, you take it for a test drive. If you're happy with it, you then sign the registration.

If you’re outside of the delivery region for the car you want, Carvana does its best to help you. The company subsidizes up to $200 of your airfare cost if you need to fly to get your vehicle.

Carvana prices

The amount you spend on Carvana primarily depends on the cost of the car you purchase — vehicles listed on Carvana range from $6,900 to $99,900. You can select free delivery for many regions, but you must pay a nonrefundable delivery fee if you live outside those areas. The delivery fee varies based on your location.

Carvana FAQ

Is Carvana a good way to buy a car?
Carvana provides an easy-to-use online platform for car shoppers. The company is a good option if you prefer a quick process that doesn’t involve visiting several dealerships.
Can you negotiate price with Carvana?
Carvana doesn’t participate in price negotiation. The company states it lists cars at the lowest price to provide you with a stress-free process.
Can I finance my Carvana purchase with a credit union or bank?
You can finance your used car purchase through a bank or credit union. It’s a good idea to receive preapproval with your lender before starting the buying process.
Can I still get financing from Carvana if I have bad credit?
Carvana states it makes an effort to work with any level of credit. The only requirements are to be 18 years or older, make $10,000 annually and not be in active bankruptcy proceedings.

Is Carvana good?

Carvana can be an excellent choice for shoppers if you want to avoid visiting multiple dealerships. The company's online listings make the process straightforward and quick. Carvana offers delivery and pickup options for customers, and it offers financing options for nearly anyone. We recommend Carvana as a simple option for used-car shopping with a money-back guarantee.

Carvana Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Absolutely Flawless experience! The Carvana process was amazing. I'm going to break it all down because it was that good! Sorry for the length! First the shopping and ordering experience: The whole process was done online from my phone sitting on my couch. I got pre-qualified in about two minutes by entering very basic info. Things to note, your pre-qualification does not affect your credit The pre-qualification stays the same for forty five days and includes your minimal down payment and monthly payment. Each car shows you what your down payment and monthly payment is. It's very convenient. I will tell you this, what the down payment says it is, is truly what it is no hidden costs. Now your monthly payment will also be the same unless you add options like warranties and gap coverage.

I had an idea of the car I wanted so I browsed through their inventory online fairly quickly. I suggest using the filters to enter the maximum amount of miles you want the car to have. Enter the make of car you like or just the vehicle type like truck, suv, car, etc.. This will help narrow it down and save you time, because they have a huge amount of cars! Once I found the car I wanted I filled out the remaining info for approval. I had my approval within five minutes. Things to note, I personally don't have good credit. They take more into account than just your score. Even with not having good credit my minimal down payment and monthly payment was reasonable and in my budget. I was given the option to have the car delivered or I pick it up from the vending machine. The nearest vending machine was three hours away in Oklahoma city. I knew I wanted the car and I wanted to see this vending machine. So I chose to pick it up.

Oklahoma City Vending Machine Agent: My carvana agent at the Oklahoma City Vending Machine was Kyra! She was very friendly, and thorough. She contacted me about thirty minutes ahead of my appointment to check in on me and to remind me to have my license and insurance. Side note, I knew I was going to buy this car, unless it was something very obviously wrong with it. So I rented a car on a one way rental from Avis which I chose because it was on the same street. Now I just drove three hours to get here. I informed Kyra that I was dropping off a rental. She immediately sent an Uber to pick me up! Already paid for and ready to go for me! It was awesome. So I definitely recommend and hope you get her as your agent. A thoughtful friendly person at a car dealership makes the experience ten times better! She was that person!

Oklahoma City Vending Machine: This place is tall and very cool looking! We walked up and a carvana gentlemen held the door open for us. Kyra was standing there and greeted us. No one else was there, it was very personal. The place was very clean. That was the first thing I noticed. Everything was white and spotless, the building was all glass so it was a very open feeling. My folder was ready at the table. There was an area for my son to sit at while I went over paperwork with Kyra. Signing the papers was so fast, like I said I did it all online, so I literally signed four papers in person.

After signing Kyra gave me a huge coin and told me where to insert it to activate the vending machine. Things to note, it really is a vending machine! It's really cool. If you have kids, I definitely suggest bringing them! They will love it! I handed the coin to my son and had him insert it. The vending machine activated. I won't tell you what it does or how it works, but I will tell you it was worth the three hour drive even with a seven year old asking how much longer constantly. The smile and excitement on my son's face watching this was priceless. Once it was in front of us, Kyra told us to take it for a spin and she will see us in a little while. We drove it around and inspected it. I asked my son if he liked it, he said "I love it, can we keep it?" I told him, "Absolutely." We drove back and told Kyra we wanted it. She smiled and said. "Ok great, you are good to go!" That was it! Away we went!

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

This was a great experience! To start, I hate the whole car buying/dealership experience. I was looking for a specific car and the current car market is low supply/high demand. There were 2 cars that met my criteria on Carvana. Once the car I choose came off of hold (i.e. the previous customer did not buy it – similar to having a time limit to complete your transaction when buying concert tickets), I put the car on hold. They gave me like 30 or 40 minutes. In that time, I was able to go through the whole buying process, get approved for financing through Carvana (I also had enough time to get financing through my own bank). Carvana’s rate at 3.9% could not compete with my bank at 1.9%, but it was nice to have the Carvana’s financing option.

The price was the price, no haggling or, let me talk to my manager…also no leaving the dealership always wondering if you got one-upped and left something on the table. I do not know if I could have got a better price, but the price was in-line with my expectations. Either way, the experience and lack of pain was worth every penny and more. Carvana (like dealership) asked if you wanted extras like warranty, etc, but instead of dealing with a salesperson who tells you saying no is the hugest mistake in your life, you just click no and move on. I did not have a trade in, so I cannot comment on that. I had a 10 minute call a couple days after purchase with Carvana’s underwriting group to verify financing (1st human contact).

I scheduled delivery to my home (think Doordash for cars people) which was for the 20th and got notification the day before it was delayed and would be the 31st. I work in the logistics industry and know that driver shortages/delays in freight is real problem, so I do not hold it against Carvana that my original delivery was pushed back. Car arrived on a single carrier and driver went through 2-3 minutes of paperwork, unloaded car, had me test drive and asked if I had any questions (2nd human contact).

Both human contacts were quick because I wanted it that way…both the underwriting person and the driver were very pleasant and would have spent as much time as needed to go through questions. I bought a car in/out in less than an hour, all from the comfort of home. I didn’t waste 4-6 hours at a dealership. I will buy all my future cars this way. Lastly, although I knew this was the car I wanted, it was nice (and I am sure for others) having up to 2 trade ins within 7 days/400 miles. Thanks Carvana, great work.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Please do not get me wrong, auto dealerships do a great job in sales and service of brands in this country, however the sales experience has lost its way over the last couple of decades. Manufacturers are holding dealers hostage for CSI and reviews so being a salesperson is now very difficult with luxury brands. I retired as a GM/GSM from a luxury brand after 14 years in 2014 and was happy to escape the system as it just was not fun anymore, buying a car should be fun.

When it came time for us to find a replacement car, for sure I tried a few dealership I had a relationship with in the past but all were void of my needs as a customer. My needs are really simple, tell me everything about the car as the information is available, show me why this is an investment we should make as I know cars, and what if the car has problems.

I did not give up speaking with dealers and their disassociated lead driven BDC or internet departments but found it rather interesting to buy a car online, how does this work? After exploring several options we found Carvana. I could see the car, window sticker, condition, warranty, and a no-questions asked return option. Well that was impressive and we decided to give it a try as they had the exact car we were looking for at a very fair price. Remember a fair price is what you should be looking for, a dealer selling a luxury preowned unit way under market should be a warning sign.

The entire Carvana experience was beyond anything realistic a salesperson at my dealership could have taken the time to do with a customer, Carvana had it all packaged up. Impressed all the way through delivery as we were outside of their normal drop off areas. Driver called me, I picked up car, and was so pleasantly surprised, the car was perfect and as described. The Carvana DMV process in 2019 was a very nice feature of the delivery, my plates just showed up in the mail. Loved the car but our needs changed and sold it to a friend.

So now time to find a replacement car again, in 2021 when good preowned cars are very hard to find and dealers know it. We again found an acceptable car on Carvana, year, miles, price, window sticker, seemed like a good fit and we were already comfortable with the Carvana buying process. Wow, things change, the process was even easier and we bought and paid for the car in like 15 minutes total.

We had a great delivery experience this time with the cool Carvana truck and delivery person. I did not really need any help but let him do his thing, he was not trying to sell us anything just there to make sure the car looked and drove as we had hoped. It did, awesome again Carvana. Thank you for the fun and enjoyable buying experience.

Original review: June 17, 2021

Was in market to purchase a new vehicle. I spent a good month or more just watching the inventory on Carvana and other sites. I don't like dealing with dealerships because you feel like your being judged. I liked the Carvana inventory. Plenty of cars to choose from. I had in mind what I wanted and saw some well equipped vehicles. I kept holding off. Finally in April I found the vehicle I wanted with most of the options I wanted for the right price.

Once I started the buying process it was a breeze. I did a trade in and got a fantastic trade amount for my vehicle. I got the financing through Carvana and got a real good rate considering my credit is merely good. Lastly there was no charge for delivery, unlike another online company which wanted to charge several hundred dollars. Finished the purchase with out any issues. Scanned in my documents (license, insurance, etc), took pictures of the trade's odometer reading, etc. Signed the loan documents. All in all the actual "buying" process took about 40 minutes (counting the scanning, etc) and I could do it all from the comfort of my couch. Got my load documents quickly and signed everything. This was a Friday night, and I setup my delivery for the following Saturday (a week away).

Ran into a hiccup the next day with my insurance, but that wasn't Carvana's fault it is the State of Pennsylvania's. They have a "45 day rule" where you have to show the car will be insured at minimum 45 days after purchase. My policy runs every 6 months and unfortunately I was buying this car when my renewal was due to come up. So the Carvana rep called me and said I need to get a rider. I called my insurance company who sent Carvana the rider. Unfortunately, my insurance company must not have understood because the rider they sent was only for 30 after purchase not 45. Ultimately I just renewed early and insured the new vehicle a few days early. No big deal. That allowed me to send Carvana proof the new vehicle would be fully insured. Again, that was only hiccup I encountered during the purchase/wait for the vehicle.

I got a email from Carvana a couple days before delivery confirming my Saturday delivery and telling me what I had to do. Also it told me the driver would text me when they were close. I had read reviews where people kept having their vehicles delayed, but mine was right on time. In fact, the driver got there a little early. He was super friendly and polite. He unloaded my new car and as I looked it over and took it for a quick spin around the block he took pictures of my trade and then loaded it up. He then gave me my packet of paperwork and explained it to me. I signed what I needed to and that was that. Easy Peasy. Now for the car. It was better than even the pictures on the site. I couldn't even see the blemishes on it that Carvana put as "hot zones" on the website. Everything was functional. Tires had plenty of tread, lights all worked. Car was clean in and out. Just to be safe though, I took it to my mechanic who gave it an inspection and found no issues with it.

Lastly, I had read reviews where people massive trouble getting the registration completed for their states. I had not issues. However, I kept an eye on the Carvana app which kept me up to date as the registration reached each step. I had also prior to delivery asked what all I needed for them to get it registered in PA and made sure they had everything they needed. I think it took about 3 weeks to get my registration from PA. So even though the entire Carvana process, buying, receiving, registration received, was finished a few weeks ago I wanted to make sure no shoe dropped and I happy to say it didn't.

I will say though that I think I purchased at the right time because I still like to look at other vehicles like the one I purchased and anything remotely with the same mileage, year and options is selling for much more now. So I think I got an absolute steal of a deal. So in closing this was the best car buying experience I have ever had. I did it my way, at my pace, with no pressure from some sales guy trying upsell me. I highly recommend Carvana and would purchase from them again.

Original review: June 4, 2021

S.O. needed a new vehicle, due to the former vehicle's mechanical issues. Decided to give Carvana a chance, due to their commercials, and having sold used cars to dealerships in the past. Entered all of the trade-in info, as accurately as possible, and received an instant quote. The quote was much higher than I expected. Continued through the process for purchasing. Carvana had an excellent selection, almost overwhelming, of vehicles available. The filters are extremely helpful.

We started the purchase process after finding the "right" vehicle. The process has a countdown timer that starts at 45 mins. Each step of the process is broken into blocks. Completion of each block adds time. We got hung up on the credit block, due to a fraud watch that I have in place. This was 11:30 p.m. and there was no one to answer the chat box. The time ran out (issue#1). We started again at 8:00 a.m. with the chat box and found the vehicle still available. The Advocate chatting said that it was the fraud watch that caused the delay and that I should remove it to prevent future delays. Nope, it's there for a reason (issue #2). The process continued uninhibited until the trade-in portion. Carvana requested the "10 Day pay off amount'" from our lender. Our lender stated that they would issue a verbal one to Carvana, which they stated they do daily, and then issue the written one by fax within 48 hours.

I had received two texts at this point from two different Advocates, expressing a desire to assist with the process. One stated that I would need to call them to continue the trade-in process due to the lender's statement. I called and was connected to another Advocate. This Advocate decides to tell me their life story on how they ended up at Carvana, stated that they were in their last week of training, and tell me that a verbal amount would not be allowed. They then state that they will call the lender and "Sort it out" (issue#3). He called back to tell me how awesome he did and then said that I would need to contact them back. I called back and spoke with a not happy lender, who told me the same thing, "Carvana has always accepted verbal first and then written within 48 hours" (issue #4).

I called Carvana back, connected with yet another Advocate, told her what had happened. She asked her team, they said yes, they do that, she called the lender on 3 way, received the amount and that was it. She stated that she was also in her last week of training. It must be two separate training programs (issue #5). After that was completed, delivery was scheduled. Three days before delivery, I receive a text stating that the delivery will be delayed. They could, or would not, not tell me why. The delivery was rescheduled for five days later. Thankfully I had the day off (issue #6).

Delivery day was smooth. Found damage to the bumper that was not disclosed. The Advocate stated that Carvana would take care of it (received a text and email from Carvana and their warranty company within 24 hours). We test drove the new car, they loaded the old one, the Advocate said she just finished training the week before (apparently everyone is new), we did the paperwork and that was it. I have received a few satisfaction texts and one phone call to ensure that we like the vehicle.

Overall, I would recommend Carvana if you have lots of patience, enjoy online shopping, can wait a week to test drive your car, dislike or get anxiety at a dealership, or you are happy with the trade in and sticker price (no negotiations). Personally, I like negotiating at the dealership. I know that I could have got the price down, however the trade in price was too good. I would say that I paid for the convenience, but I'm not sure about how convenient it was. I would rate it a solid 8 out of 10. The experience was good, but Carvana should make a few changes, if I were going to use them again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

At first I was excited to buy a car from Carvana, but after purchasing it seemed like their followthrough wasn't strong and I had to make a lot of phone calls to get the deal to go through. I had all my information entered online and never got confirmations back until I called after several days. I never got my check for my registration costs and when I called it seemed like there were several hoops to jump through to sort out the problems. I always had to wait on hold or needed another department who was very busy and couldn't get immediate answers.

I wish the online service and support was better, but I felt like every part of the process I had to call in again because something didn't come from Carvana that was supposed to. It shouldn't be this hard to buy and register a car, but outside of getting my car from the vending machine, every part of this process has had problems that I had to engage customer support to resolve and it usually took more than 1 call to resolve each problem, extremely frustrating. I'm waiting to hear back from them still so I can finish registering my car which will not happen now by the time my tags expire. I suggest they do more proactive follow up with customers to make sure the ball doesn't constantly get dropped like it has with my experience.

Carvana response

We know how valuable your time is and we are sorry we made you wait. Carvana strives to create a stress-free car buying experience and it sounds like we missed the mark in providing a timely service to you. Being available for our customers is incredibly important to us and we are continuing to focus our efforts on improving our wait times. If you still have concerns and cannot get through to an advocate, the following resources are available to you: FAQs, chat with Sebastian, and for questions related to your registration and your 7-Day Money Back Guarantee, please review your Post Sale Dashboard. Thank you for the feedback as we are continuing to work on improving our wait times.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Carvana overall experience was positive. Loved the delivery process. Car had a few issues that should have been caught during inspection process. Coolant level was a little low, power steering fluid level was a little low, and had to replace battery after only one week.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

After a not so great experience with another online seller, I decided to give Carvana a try. First I received a great offer for my trade in, and the online purchase and financing was easy and stress free. I was allowed to pick my delivery date for my new vehicle and they were right on time that day. They dropped off my purchase and put my trade in on the same truck. I signed the paperwork and I was done. I definitely recommend Carvana to anyone looking for a car. They offer you 7 days to decide to keep the car or exchange it for another. So there's no risk, they will even return your trade if you decide not to buy. They are the best way to buy a car without visiting a dealership.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I worked at a dealership for many years and this experience was by far the best. I spent a total of 20 min doing everything. From the moment I applied online and chose the car I wanted. To receiving an email of being approved and at the dealership/ vending machine. The gentleman in there was very polite and real. He was excited I was getting a car and so was I. The warranty they offer as well as 7 day return for peace of mind is unbeatable. Best experience yet.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

The worst part of purchasing a vehicle is car salesmen. The constant attempt to upsell or change your mind is draining. This doesn't exist with Carvana. After spending half a day attempting to get decent prices locally and hearing all sorts of lies about why vehicles were overpriced I remembered seeing a Carvana delivery truck earlier in the week. I got home, made an account, logged in, typed EXACTLY what I wanted and voila... presented with what I wanted. Within ten minutes I was done purchasing and back to enjoying my day.

Customer support is spot on even their automated system intelligently responds with good information based on keywords. if you need a human the wait is sometimes non existent. At it's worse I waited 8 minutes. Delivery was smooth. Minor hiccups existed with vehicle (odd smell, missing floor mats) but I was reimbursed for cost of detail and mailed floor mats. The service overall was so awesome I immediately spread the word when I got to work, to family and to friends.

Carvana Company Information