2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.19/5

Carvana is an online vehicle retailer that sells used cars, trucks and SUVs. Customers can browse its vast inventory, purchase a car with cash, receive financing or trade in their existing vehicles. Carvana certifies all of its vehicles and provides a guarantee for 100 days or 4,189 miles, whichever comes first. CarvanaCare and Carvana Gap Coverage provide additional protection against damage and theft.

BOTTOM LINE

Carvana provides a quick and simple online process for buying used cars. Customers can have their vehicles delivered or picked up. The company takes away the stress of visiting multiple dealerships.

PROS
  • 7-day money-back guarantee
  • Convenient online process
  • Wide selection
CONS
  • No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
  • No price negotiation

Top Carvana Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking about using Carvana. I have to be honest, I was skeptical ... I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return policy and warranty. The buying process itself was very clear, easy, and straightforward.

I read so many negative reviews that I was extremely apprehensive. From day one I expected something to go wrong. I really wanted this Dodge though. Delivery was early, car was great (we had it inspected by Dodge). Everything has gone well despite my fears.

How does Carvana work?

Carvana is an online used car dealership that allows customers to buy vehicles, trade them in, sell them or finance them through the website.

The vehicles Carvana sells come from several sources, including auctions, customers who trade in or sell their cars to Carvana and partnered dealerships. Carvana stores its cars at inspection centers across the country. When you purchase a vehicle, they ship it to the closest Carvana location to you, where Carvana employees give it a final inspection.

Carvana conducts a 150-point inspection to ensure quality. The cars sold by the company have clean records with no reported accidents, no frame damage and no fire or flood damage. Carvana backs this with a 100-day or 4,189-mile limited warranty.

Carvana delivery and pickup

If you have your car delivered, Carvana employees arrive with your vehicle at the scheduled time and verify your driver's license and proof of insurance. Next, you take the car for a test drive to be sure you’re happy with it. After your test drive, you sign your registration. Your purchase comes with a seven-day money-back guarantee.

For pickup, Carvana has a vehicle vending machine. A Carvana employee meets you at the pickup time to verify your license and registration and give you a novelty coin to insert into the vending machine. Once the vehicle is out of the vending machine, you take it for a test drive. If you're happy with it, you then sign the registration.

If you’re outside of the delivery region for the car you want, Carvana does its best to help you. The company subsidizes up to $200 of your airfare cost if you need to fly to get your vehicle.

Carvana prices

The amount you spend on Carvana primarily depends on the cost of the car you purchase — vehicles listed on Carvana range from $6,900 to $99,900. You can select free delivery for many regions, but you must pay a nonrefundable delivery fee if you live outside those areas. The delivery fee varies based on your location.

Carvana FAQ

Is Carvana a good way to buy a car?
Carvana provides an easy-to-use online platform for car shoppers. The company is a good option if you prefer a quick process that doesn’t involve visiting several dealerships.
Can you negotiate price with Carvana?
Carvana doesn’t participate in price negotiation. The company states it lists cars at the lowest price to provide you with a stress-free process.
Can I finance my Carvana purchase with a credit union or bank?
You can finance your used car purchase through a bank or credit union. It’s a good idea to receive preapproval with your lender before starting the buying process.
Can I still get financing from Carvana if I have bad credit?
Carvana states it makes an effort to work with any level of credit. The only requirements are to be 18 years or older, make $10,000 annually and not be in active bankruptcy proceedings.

Is Carvana good?

Carvana can be an excellent choice for shoppers if you want to avoid visiting multiple dealerships. The company's online listings make the process straightforward and quick. Carvana offers delivery and pickup options for customers, and it offers financing options for nearly anyone. We recommend Carvana as a simple option for used-car shopping with a money-back guarantee.

Carvana Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

Original review: April 3, 2021

This was my first purchase through Carvana, the car buying process was fairly easy especially since you could do it off of your phone which is great. I was supposed to get my vehicle a week later after everything was confirmed, but they had a issue with one of their trucks that was bringing the car to my house. That was no problem, I understand things happen. So I called in a little mad because I was eager to get the car. The person I spoke to on the phone was very nice and helped me figure out when I could get the car, he also credited me for having to deal with this issue!

Now, the day my car comes last Saturday the 27th of March. Everything was scheduled to be here on time for 12pm Saturday. I get a call at about 11-1130 saying they don’t have enough trucks and that when they took the car off of the other truck it scraped my front bumper. So they said I could pick it up at the one hub that’s about 45 minutes away from so I said yes! They also took pictures of the damage to the front bumper and will be having that fixed free of cost! All in all, I was happy with everything. I understand things happen! Thanks again Carvana!

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I was SO nervous the night before I went to pick up my Carvana car. I tossed and turned for hours. I was actually nauseous worried that I had made a massive mistake buying a car online unseen for so much money. I kept telling myself 7 days, no matter what you have 7 days to completely change your mind. When I got to the "car vending machine" and saw my beauty all my fears went away. It was gorgeous, drove flawlessly. I went and had an inspection done and they couldn't find anything wrong. It was almost like new. Had only been a rental car for a few months prior and that's it. Every day I get in I think "Mm I love this car". I could not have been more pleased.

Getting my tag info and paperwork was a breeze. I am surprised to see so many negative reviews, I don't know if I just got lucky or if it's a case of most people that have good experiences don't bother to leave reviews. Today my husband is now shopping for a car for him on Carvana that we hope to pick up next week, after he saw what a good experience I had. Fingers crossed it goes well twice!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

We purchased a car with Carvana in Oct 2020. The process was smooth, the advocates were very helpful, patient and informative. It took several hours to complete the transaction but no more than it would have at a dealer. The car was delivered a week and half after we purchased the car and the car was in excellent condition and exactly as described in the ad. We paid cash for the car. When the car was delivered we got the temporary plates via FedEx the next day.

The final registration at the local town office was completed 1 working day after the temporary plates expired. Two issues we experienced were: 1. the car in the ad appeared to be in a town 30 miles away but was actually in another state 1000miles away. However it was delivered within the 15 day period. 2. We were not told we could self register the car since we did not finance it through Carvana and that would have shortened the registration considerably. Overall we got a great car, as advertised for the most part in a timely fashion and are pleased with the results.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I decided that I wanted to purchase a car during the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. A lot of dealerships in my area were closed or it was difficult to test drive before purchase. We were down to one car and recently decided to move an hour away from the city so it was really important for us to have a 2nd car. I kept seeing all of the Carvana commercials and I just knew it was meant to be. Within an hour of shopping I found the vehicle that I wanted and 15 minutes later I was approved. We scheduled my delivery and my job contacted me that I was to return back to work on the day of my delivery. I thought I was going to have to hold off for another day but Carvana was happy to switch the delivery location.

A few weeks later I get a notification from Carvana that Motor Vehicles did not process my registration and tags. It was a monster headache trying to call MVA and MVA was closed to the public. I reached out to Carvana and they jumped right on it. The representative contacted them and kept me updated through the entire process for almost a month. Finally I was able to get an appointment with MVA, my tags were processed and Carvana got my hard plates sent out immediately. They were with me the entire time making sure that everything was taken care of. I would highly recommend Carvana to anyone that wants an hassle free easy process.

Original review: April 29, 2020

My experience was:

Intriguing
    Good
    Great
    Frustrating
    Good/Poor/Horrible

Great

My experience at Carvana was Intriguing as I really didn't know what to expect. I buy everything online, so it only made sense for me to look into Carvana after seeing the television advertising. I wondered how would I get financing, how would I pick out a car, would I like my car, how would I receive my car. The Good part happened when my financing was approved and I had picked out my vehicle. The Frustrating part occurred when Carvana needed my insurance company to Fax them the RMV-1 form. My insurance company said they only Email them, Carvana wanted it Faxed. After many, many phone calls to Geico and Carvana, and some unbelievable long wait times, somehow the copy of the RMV-1 that was emailed to me was finally accepted by Carvana.

The Great part happened when Britney from Carvana called me and said "Congratulations, You Are All Set". I could hear the smile in her voice over the telephone. The Good/Poor/Horrible came next. Yep all 3 in a row, all together. (Good part)- My car was set to be delivered on Monday April 20th at 12:30. I was so, so excited to see my car in person and to take it for a short ride as Carvana tells you is allowed. (Poor begins here)- I waited until 1pm and started to try and call Carvana. There was a 40 minute wait time by phone....I kid you not!...I tried to get on the online chat and that was a 20 minute wait for a human! So, I waited. I waited. I waited. At 2:00, I finally got thru to the "advocate" that was delivering my car. He clearly had no idea what was going on or where he was supposed to be. He stated he would arrive with my car by 2:30, no later.

I waited and at 2:45, finally I saw the Carvana truck with my car. The car was removed from the truck and I checked it over. I asked to take it for a quick spin and the "advocate" told me in Massachusetts temporary plates are not allowed. I would have to wait 2 more days until they got my car registered for me to take it on the road! I say this is truly the Poor/Horrible part. There was definitely a lot of miscommunication on the part of Carvana. Had I been informed that MA does not allow temp. plates, that would not have been such a shock! I have no idea about the registry rules as I'm a nurse! Also if I had been informed it would be another 2 day wait before I could drive my car at all, I wouldn't have been so very disappointed!

Next, still in the horrible phase, I signed all the paperwork. I gave my downpayment check to Ryan, my advocate, and he took a picture of that and my license and then put the check with his paperwork and he left. After resigning myself to the fact that I could only look at my car for 2 days, I calmed down UNTIL....I got an email....NO PHONE CALL....JUST AN EMAIL....saying Carvana is trying to reach me. I called them and was told they couldn't process my downpayment as I didn't give them a cc account number. I explained I paid that by the bank check that I gave Ryan. She argued with me and insisted the driver did not have the check and I must have kept it! I was so lost for words!

She then told me to just give them my cc information so they could withdraw the funds. I refused. She told me they would be "following" me to get their funds. I sent emails to everybody at Carvana I could think of. Finally, I got an EMAIL....NOT A PHONE CALL....stating they miraculously found the bank check that the driver had 'misplaced' and my downpayment was paid in full. The last part...the great part when I got Carvana off of my back with all of their false accusations....and I finally got to drive my car! She is a beauty! She is bright red, compact, and runs like a thoroughbred! I might do business with Carvana in the future. I would really have to give it some thought.

Sincerely, Deb **

Original review: April 11, 2021

I shopped around on Carvana and found a 2015 Jeep Renegade that I liked. The website showed it had a small dent on the outside and a small stain on the seats inside. When the Jeep was delivered, the delivery guy mentioned that he noticed a few scratches on the back end when he picked it up, so he already reported it and they would contact me to have it fixed.

Walking around the outside of the vehicle, I noticed a sticky substance on the outside edges of all the doors - most likely where rain guards were ripped off. There were also a few other scratches on the outside that were not noted on the website. The driver graciously took note. I opened the door to check out the inside and the car smelled like musty cigarettes. It was so gross, I could hardly stand to sit it in. The driver agreed, and was surprised that Carvana would approve a car in this condition.

After looking over the Jeep more, the touch screen had a sticky mess all over it, so when you selected an option, your finger stuck. It was disgusting! Like a sticker was put over it and removed, but the residue remained. And the only way to navigate the system was to touch it! There were stains on the ceiling, seats, carpeting, and door panels - there was even mud caked into the door speakers! So... I had totalled my previous car (deer) and did not have a car to drive, so I decided to keep the car for my 7 day "trial" just so I had something to drive. As I walked up my stairs to my house, I could see the roof of the Jeep and an entire roof trim panel was missing!! When I drove it, it sounded like a window was cracked, but the whistling noise was coming from the removable roof panels.

I found another vehicle from a local dealer and quickly had them retrieve this POS. Worst experience ever shopping for a car. If they missed all the obvious visual issues, it made me wonder if they even looked at the engine. Oh, and the best part - I reported each issue, and their response (as if I were to keep the car) was for me to take the car to a repair place AN HOUR AWAY from where I live to have it inspected and then fixed. Like I have time for that. They did not offer an apology or offer compensation for using my time to have these issues fixed. It was like they didn't care. They sent me a POS car and nobody seemed concerned that it had so many issues. I can only imagine that it is back on their website for sale. Watch out!

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to share some details about your Carvana experience. We are disappointed to hear that your overall experience fell short of anything but exceptional. We would like to apologize that there were more cosmetic imperfections than what was notated on our site. Currently, we notate imperfections that fall outside of our standards and anything additional is considered to be regular wear for a used vehicle. However, it sounds like these additional imperfections were a bit more severe than our usual standards and for that we are sincerely sorry. Part of our process not only is guaranteeing that the cars have gone through the 150-point inspection to ensure it drives as close to new as possible, but we also detail every vehicle so that it looks (and smells!) as close to new as possible. We pride ourselves on the great condition of our used vehicles and we can assure you that your experience is absolutely not excusable or typical of our process. We wish we could have resolved this issue with you and made sure you ended up in a car that you felt safe and happy with, but we are glad that you utilized your 7 Day Money Back Guarantee to return the vehicle.

Original review: April 10, 2021

BAIT & SWITCH BY CARVANA? About three weeks ago I obtained quotes for my 2015 car from predominant on-line car buying competitors and a local auto buyer. Then I went online to Carvana to enter my data for a quote, but the site wouldn’t let me proceed past the initial page. It said something like “Oops, your mileage doesn’t match our records”, and it showed 71K miles expected. I immediately realized why Carvana had the wrong mileage in their records. CA DMV made a registration error when my 2015 car was new. DMV assigned it the mileage from my old car while they were transferring personal license plates from the old to the new car. The old car had 71K miles on it. Obviously, no two month-old car can have 71K miles, and DMV corrected the problem within a few months.

Now, five years later, Carvana still had not corrected the error from their records. So I called Carvana and pointed out their records were wrong, that my actual miles were now 68K, not the 71K they had from 5 years ago, and that my title was clean and correct. The lady I spoke to said they would have a data technician look into it, and correct their record, but in the mean time she would take my car information (mileage, condition, options), etc., and would provide me a quote based on 71K. Then the quote would be updated after the corrections were made. The verbal offer was about $13.3K, and she opined that the offer could increase $400-$800 based on the lower mileage. Great.

A day later, they asked by email to send a better photo of my pink slip, which I did. The day after that, they asked for a picture of the Pink Slip “In Hand”, which I did. The following day, I received a written offer for about $13.34K, a whopping $40 increase. This was now about $60 less than another offer I had received, but I assumed they had not yet corrected their mileage error and the final price would still go up. I tried to call to confirm, but the phone wait was 2 hours, so I decided to go ahead and make an appointment to surrender my car.

The earliest date I could book 9 days away, no matter whether or not I delivered it to Carvana or had them pick it up. So 9 days later, the Carvana rep showed up and inspected the car and documentation, and had me sign a stack of papers. Then I handed him the keys, and he handed me the check. I was stunned – – the check was for $231 less than their written offer – – without any explanation! I asked him what was he trying to pull over on me, and he claimed he knew nothing about it. I told him to call his office, and he did. I overheard the conversation, and the person on the other end said they had to re-appraise. There was no reason why.

After he hung up, he told me it was a take it or leave it offer. Unfortunately, after I got the original -*written*- offer, I notified the other companies that I had sold my car. Big mistake. Now, it would be a major hassle to start all over. So I reluctantly accepted the check. I now know that Carvana is unscrupulous. My mileage was exactly as shown on their offer, and they picked it up on their earliest available date. So can Carvana can change how much they pay you after you have a written offer? Yes they can, and they will even without a valid reason. Unethical if not illegal, to say the least.

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We are always looking for ways to improve. We are sorry to hear your trade in experience did not reflect the stress-free process we hope for. We are extremely sorry for the hassle we have caused in order for you to sell your vehicle to us. The proper teams have been notified of your experience to hopefully prevent it from occurring again. Nonetheless, thank you for your patience and for working with our team to get everything completed. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: April 8, 2021

“The truck driver got sick.” “The delivery truck may have broken down.” This has hands down been the least reliable process I've ever experienced. DO NOT waste your time and effort. Shop local. I will never utilize this service again. They will not provide accurate information. The car will be delivered late and the answers given to you when you call for help will be scripted and rehearsed. I would rather go to a car dealership and get ripped off all day long after attempting to take delivery of my vehicle from this company.

Carvana response

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding your recent experience with Carvana. We pride ourselves on the quality of our vehicles and the efficiency of our customer advocates, and we apologize that in this situation we have fallen short of both. Your vehicle was delayed due to transportation issues, and there is no excuse for the delays that you experienced. Our advocates should be in constant contact when it comes to keeping you updated regarding the transport delays, and we apologize that this was not the case. We are embarrassed by the delays that you experienced and understand the frustration that this caused. It is important that mistakes are owned when they happen to demonstrate our care for every customer. Thank you so much again for passing on your valuable feedback and if anything additional arises, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at (800) 333-4554.

Resolution response: April 16, 2021

I sold my car to Carvana and they made it very easy to do it. I got an immediate offer and went through the steps to arrange the loan payoff, pick up the car and receive a check for the balance. They have a great process up until the loan payoff. There was no communication with the lender so they had no information on the sale of the car and who was paying off the loan. The only negative I can say about the whole experience was lack of communication. Very frustrating. When you are purchasing a big ticket item like a car, you have to be able to have some form of real time communication with the buyer/seller. That is why I gave them 4 starts instead of 5. I am happy to say the loan was paid and the check cleared.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I recently sold my car to Carvana and the process was seamless - they came to pick up the car on time and delivered a check to me. I have no idea what is happening with the payoff of the car I sold them. I was told my car was paid off prior to the pickup (which didn't make sense). Called my bank and they have not seen or heard anything about my loan being paid off. How long does it take to process paperwork or contact my bank to alert them the car was being sold and paid off? There is no one to speak to - the hold times are over an hour or more and the chat feature is premade to answer questions. I need to know what the process is for paying off my loan and finalizing the sale.

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent car selling experience with us. We apologize about the delay regarding the payoff of the vehicle you sold to us. Carvana prides itself on a streamlined process and we are disappointed that you feel we failed to provide you with that. After reviewing your account and reaching out to our financial operations team, we are happy to report that your payoff has a delivery ETA of next Monday or Tuesday. Again, we are truly sorry for the issues you encountered and we appreciate your patience through it all. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I had a positive experience with Carvana 5 years ago, so I thought I'd go back to them when I needed a new one, and that has been an enormous mistake. The problem has been with their incredibly poor communication about what would be required to finalize a purchase prior to making it and changing what documents are required after I've submitted what was requested. First, my bank was unable to finalize my loan without a purchase agreement, and Carvana was unable to provide this until after I placed an order.

I placed the order to receive the purchase agreement and submitted it to my bank. Carvana contacted me on Easter Sunday to say that I needed to provide loan verification and proof of updated insurance by the following Tuesday at noon before they would greenlight the purchase. The problem was that Monday was a holiday for my bank, so they gave me a grand total of three business hours to finalize my loan. I called in Monday night, waited 30 minutes on hold, and told them what was going on, but the answer was basically there was nothing they could do, not even extend the deadline. So I got the loan and insurance worked out, and resubmitted everything as instructed.

The problem now was that they now required I provide proof my insurance started the day before delivery, rather than the day of as I was originally told. I immediately contacted my insurance company, who was able to process the change but said documentation would take 1-3 days. Again, Carvana has this insanely tight deadline of 48 hours, so my insurance may not arrive in time.

After spending 30 minutes on hold and another 30 minutes talking to an agent, Carvana basically told me there was nothing they could do to extend the deadline unless I call in the day of the deadline if I don't receive my documents, even though the reason that I don't have the correct documents is because of their poor communication and changing requirements. I hope they don't sell my car to someone else despite already having insurance and having taken out a loan, but they basically said that they just might. The whole point of using a company like Carvana is the convenience, but I would much rather have gone to a dealership than deal with this.

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to reach out regarding your recent Carvana experience. We recognize that everyone’s situation is different and apologize if our verification process lacked timeliness and communication. Our goal is to use our customers’ feedback to continue to improve our underwriting/verification process. We would like to apologize regarding any inadvertent miscommunication and for your experience that transpired, as our goal is to create a seamless process for our customers.  Nonetheless, thank you for your patience and for working with our team to get everything completed. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Carvana Company Information