Get Started

2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

3.1/5 (694 ratings)

About Carvana

Carvana is an online vehicle retailer that sells used cars, trucks and SUVs. Customers can browse its vast inventory, purchase a car with cash, receive financing or trade in their existing vehicles. Carvana certifies all of its vehicles and provides a guarantee for 100 days or 4,189 miles, whichever comes first. CarvanaCare and Carvana Gap Coverage provide additional protection against damage and theft.

Pros

• 7-day money-back guarantee
  • Convenient online process
  • Wide selection

Cons

• No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
  • No price negotiation

Bottom Line

Carvana provides a quick and simple online process for buying used cars. Customers can have their vehicles delivered or picked up. The company takes away the stress of visiting multiple dealerships.

Top Carvana Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking about using Carvana. I have to be honest, I was skeptical ... I was willing to take a chance largely in part to their return po...

Verified

I read so many negative reviews that I was extremely apprehensive. From day one I expected something to go wrong. I really wanted this Dodge though. Delivery was early, car was gr...

How does Carvana work?

Carvana is an online used car dealership that allows customers to buy vehicles, trade them in, sell them or finance them through the website.

The vehicles Carvana sells come from several sources, including auctions, customers who trade in or sell their cars to Carvana and partnered dealerships. Carvana stores its cars at inspection centers across the country. When you purchase a vehicle, they ship it to the closest Carvana location to you, where Carvana employees give it a final inspection.

Carvana conducts a 150-point inspection to ensure quality. The cars sold by the company have clean records with no reported accidents, no frame damage and no fire or flood damage. Carvana backs this with a 100-day or 4,189-mile limited warranty.

Carvana delivery and pickup

If you have your car delivered, Carvana employees arrive with your vehicle at the scheduled time and verify your driver's license and proof of insurance. Next, you take the car for a test drive to be sure you’re happy with it. After your test drive, you sign your registration. Your purchase comes with a seven-day money-back guarantee.

For pickup, Carvana has a vehicle vending machine. A Carvana employee meets you at the pickup time to verify your license and registration and give you a novelty coin to insert into the vending machine. Once the vehicle is out of the vending machine, you take it for a test drive. If you're happy with it, you then sign the registration.

If you’re outside of the delivery region for the car you want, Carvana does its best to help you. The company subsidizes up to $200 of your airfare cost if you need to fly to get your vehicle.

Carvana prices

The amount you spend on Carvana primarily depends on the cost of the car you purchase — vehicles listed on Carvana range from $6,900 to $99,900. You can select free delivery for many regions, but you must pay a nonrefundable delivery fee if you live outside those areas. The delivery fee varies based on your location.

Carvana FAQ

Is Carvana a good way to buy a car?
Carvana provides an easy-to-use online platform for car shoppers. The company is a good option if you prefer a quick process that doesn’t involve visiting several dealerships.
Can you negotiate price with Carvana?
Carvana doesn’t participate in price negotiation. The company states it lists cars at the lowest price to provide you with a stress-free process.
Can I finance my Carvana purchase with a credit union or bank?
You can finance your used car purchase through a bank or credit union. It’s a good idea to receive preapproval with your lender before starting the buying process.
Can I still get financing from Carvana if I have bad credit?
Carvana states it makes an effort to work with any level of credit. The only requirements are to be 18 years or older, make $10,000 annually and not be in active bankruptcy proceedings.

Is Carvana good?

Carvana can be an excellent choice for shoppers if you want to avoid visiting multiple dealerships. The company's online listings make the process straightforward and quick. Carvana offers delivery and pickup options for customers, and it offers financing options for nearly anyone. We recommend Carvana as a simple option for used-car shopping with a money-back guarantee.

Carvana Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carvana?

Original review: July 30, 2021

As we all know, finding cars right now with a microchip shortage is impossible, most dealerships have nothing on their lots, or close to nothing. Used cars are marked up to new car value. After searching at all major dealerships within a 2 hour radius of me, I decided to check out Carvana. We've all seen the commercials, who wouldn't want to have their car delivered to them? Especially with as busy as most of us are, single mom with 4 kids here, I don't have hours to kill looking at cars with 4 hooligans in tow. So I spent the day, looking at Carvana. I found a vehicle that fit exactly what I wanted and worked on applying for financing. I got tied up with a client, and my timer expired, but the website tacked another 10 minutes on for me to go ahead and finish filling out my paperwork. I received a call a few hours later, where they finished verifying I was who I said I was, and then it was just waiting for the car to be delivered.

The day of delivery, I got an email that stated my car wasn't going to arrive that day due to delays and it made me select a different day, which was super disappointing because I had a lunch date lined up with friends to go test drive it, but there are worst things that could happen. And actually, 2 days before it was scheduled to be delivered on the new delivery day, Carvana called and asked if I wanted to have it delivered a day early. Well of course! They were able to change the delivery address as I was at work and didn't have a vehicle to make it to my house that day, and everything went super smooth.

I had it checked out by my mechanic and the only thing we've found wrong with it is the back brakes need replaced, but that's covered under my warranty, so I'm able to get them replaced no problem. If I ever purchase another vehicle, I would definitely do it through Carvana. I tell everyone I talk to that this was the easiest process ever and you didn't have to deal with some annoying salesperson bothering you and pressuring you into purchasing something you don't want.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2021

We attempted using Carvana twice. First attempt was a purchase for my daughter (military). No trade in and no financing needed. She had financing elsewhere. She was at Tech School and needed a car before reporting to first duty station. The entire process was wonderful! Picked a car, linked the financial information and choose a delivery date of when she would be home before needing it to drive to her duty station.

The day the car was to be delivered, we received a call that it would be postponed until the next day. Not a big deal as she was going to be home. Received another call the next day that the car would not be able to be delivered until the end of the week. Again, not a big deal. Received yet another call that it was going to be delayed longer than expected and now it was going to be after she had to report to her duty station in another state. She needed the car to drive there. We canceled the transaction as we were told that there was nothing that could be done and bought a car locally.

Since everything except the delivery aspect was great, we tried Carvana again for myself. We did have a trade in and we had financing through another lender. Again, everything was seamless. Quote for my vehicle to trade in, picking the exact one that I wanted, linking the financial information between my bank and Carvana, etc. It all was done online and was easy.

The day before the date I chose for my delivery, I received a call that it was going to be postponed. Since we had the experience with my daughter and read other reviews about this issue, we half expected this. For us, it was not that big of an inconvenience as I still had my vehicle to drive. They gave me a new date and time for the delivery. I did not like the time, so I changed it but kept the same day. About three hours before delivery, I did get a text from the driver that he would be late. He was able to give me a closer time of arrival. The transaction did happen with just the one delay. The delivery is the only reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Please do not get me wrong, auto dealerships do a great job in sales and service of brands in this country, however the sales experience has lost its way over the last couple of decades. Manufacturers are holding dealers hostage for CSI and reviews so being a salesperson is now very difficult with luxury brands. I retired as a GM/GSM from a luxury brand after 14 years in 2014 and was happy to escape the system as it just was not fun anymore, buying a car should be fun.

When it came time for us to find a replacement car, for sure I tried a few dealership I had a relationship with in the past but all were void of my needs as a customer. My needs are really simple, tell me everything about the car as the information is available, show me why this is an investment we should make as I know cars, and what if the car has problems.

I did not give up speaking with dealers and their disassociated lead driven BDC or internet departments but found it rather interesting to buy a car online, how does this work? After exploring several options we found Carvana. I could see the car, window sticker, condition, warranty, and a no-questions asked return option. Well that was impressive and we decided to give it a try as they had the exact car we were looking for at a very fair price. Remember a fair price is what you should be looking for, a dealer selling a luxury preowned unit way under market should be a warning sign.

The entire Carvana experience was beyond anything realistic a salesperson at my dealership could have taken the time to do with a customer, Carvana had it all packaged up. Impressed all the way through delivery as we were outside of their normal drop off areas. Driver called me, I picked up car, and was so pleasantly surprised, the car was perfect and as described. The Carvana DMV process in 2019 was a very nice feature of the delivery, my plates just showed up in the mail. Loved the car but our needs changed and sold it to a friend.

So now time to find a replacement car again, in 2021 when good preowned cars are very hard to find and dealers know it. We again found an acceptable car on Carvana, year, miles, price, window sticker, seemed like a good fit and we were already comfortable with the Carvana buying process. Wow, things change, the process was even easier and we bought and paid for the car in like 15 minutes total.

We had a great delivery experience this time with the cool Carvana truck and delivery person. I did not really need any help but let him do his thing, he was not trying to sell us anything just there to make sure the car looked and drove as we had hoped. It did, awesome again Carvana. Thank you for the fun and enjoyable buying experience.

Original review: June 17, 2021

Was in market to purchase a new vehicle. I spent a good month or more just watching the inventory on Carvana and other sites. I don't like dealing with dealerships because you feel like your being judged. I liked the Carvana inventory. Plenty of cars to choose from. I had in mind what I wanted and saw some well equipped vehicles. I kept holding off. Finally in April I found the vehicle I wanted with most of the options I wanted for the right price.

Once I started the buying process it was a breeze. I did a trade in and got a fantastic trade amount for my vehicle. I got the financing through Carvana and got a real good rate considering my credit is merely good. Lastly there was no charge for delivery, unlike another online company which wanted to charge several hundred dollars. Finished the purchase with out any issues. Scanned in my documents (license, insurance, etc), took pictures of the trade's odometer reading, etc. Signed the loan documents. All in all the actual "buying" process took about 40 minutes (counting the scanning, etc) and I could do it all from the comfort of my couch. Got my load documents quickly and signed everything. This was a Friday night, and I setup my delivery for the following Saturday (a week away).

Ran into a hiccup the next day with my insurance, but that wasn't Carvana's fault it is the State of Pennsylvania's. They have a "45 day rule" where you have to show the car will be insured at minimum 45 days after purchase. My policy runs every 6 months and unfortunately I was buying this car when my renewal was due to come up. So the Carvana rep called me and said I need to get a rider. I called my insurance company who sent Carvana the rider. Unfortunately, my insurance company must not have understood because the rider they sent was only for 30 after purchase not 45. Ultimately I just renewed early and insured the new vehicle a few days early. No big deal. That allowed me to send Carvana proof the new vehicle would be fully insured. Again, that was only hiccup I encountered during the purchase/wait for the vehicle.

I got a email from Carvana a couple days before delivery confirming my Saturday delivery and telling me what I had to do. Also it told me the driver would text me when they were close. I had read reviews where people kept having their vehicles delayed, but mine was right on time. In fact, the driver got there a little early. He was super friendly and polite. He unloaded my new car and as I looked it over and took it for a quick spin around the block he took pictures of my trade and then loaded it up. He then gave me my packet of paperwork and explained it to me. I signed what I needed to and that was that. Easy Peasy. Now for the car. It was better than even the pictures on the site. I couldn't even see the blemishes on it that Carvana put as "hot zones" on the website. Everything was functional. Tires had plenty of tread, lights all worked. Car was clean in and out. Just to be safe though, I took it to my mechanic who gave it an inspection and found no issues with it.

Lastly, I had read reviews where people massive trouble getting the registration completed for their states. I had not issues. However, I kept an eye on the Carvana app which kept me up to date as the registration reached each step. I had also prior to delivery asked what all I needed for them to get it registered in PA and made sure they had everything they needed. I think it took about 3 weeks to get my registration from PA. So even though the entire Carvana process, buying, receiving, registration received, was finished a few weeks ago I wanted to make sure no shoe dropped and I happy to say it didn't.

I will say though that I think I purchased at the right time because I still like to look at other vehicles like the one I purchased and anything remotely with the same mileage, year and options is selling for much more now. So I think I got an absolute steal of a deal. So in closing this was the best car buying experience I have ever had. I did it my way, at my pace, with no pressure from some sales guy trying upsell me. I highly recommend Carvana and would purchase from them again.

Original review: June 4, 2021

S.O. needed a new vehicle, due to the former vehicle's mechanical issues. Decided to give Carvana a chance, due to their commercials, and having sold used cars to dealerships in the past. Entered all of the trade-in info, as accurately as possible, and received an instant quote. The quote was much higher than I expected. Continued through the process for purchasing. Carvana had an excellent selection, almost overwhelming, of vehicles available. The filters are extremely helpful.

We started the purchase process after finding the "right" vehicle. The process has a countdown timer that starts at 45 mins. Each step of the process is broken into blocks. Completion of each block adds time. We got hung up on the credit block, due to a fraud watch that I have in place. This was 11:30 p.m. and there was no one to answer the chat box. The time ran out (issue#1). We started again at 8:00 a.m. with the chat box and found the vehicle still available. The Advocate chatting said that it was the fraud watch that caused the delay and that I should remove it to prevent future delays. Nope, it's there for a reason (issue #2). The process continued uninhibited until the trade-in portion. Carvana requested the "10 Day pay off amount'" from our lender. Our lender stated that they would issue a verbal one to Carvana, which they stated they do daily, and then issue the written one by fax within 48 hours.

I had received two texts at this point from two different Advocates, expressing a desire to assist with the process. One stated that I would need to call them to continue the trade-in process due to the lender's statement. I called and was connected to another Advocate. This Advocate decides to tell me their life story on how they ended up at Carvana, stated that they were in their last week of training, and tell me that a verbal amount would not be allowed. They then state that they will call the lender and "Sort it out" (issue#3). He called back to tell me how awesome he did and then said that I would need to contact them back. I called back and spoke with a not happy lender, who told me the same thing, "Carvana has always accepted verbal first and then written within 48 hours" (issue #4).

I called Carvana back, connected with yet another Advocate, told her what had happened. She asked her team, they said yes, they do that, she called the lender on 3 way, received the amount and that was it. She stated that she was also in her last week of training. It must be two separate training programs (issue #5). After that was completed, delivery was scheduled. Three days before delivery, I receive a text stating that the delivery will be delayed. They could, or would not, not tell me why. The delivery was rescheduled for five days later. Thankfully I had the day off (issue #6).

Delivery day was smooth. Found damage to the bumper that was not disclosed. The Advocate stated that Carvana would take care of it (received a text and email from Carvana and their warranty company within 24 hours). We test drove the new car, they loaded the old one, the Advocate said she just finished training the week before (apparently everyone is new), we did the paperwork and that was it. I have received a few satisfaction texts and one phone call to ensure that we like the vehicle.

Overall, I would recommend Carvana if you have lots of patience, enjoy online shopping, can wait a week to test drive your car, dislike or get anxiety at a dealership, or you are happy with the trade in and sticker price (no negotiations). Personally, I like negotiating at the dealership. I know that I could have got the price down, however the trade in price was too good. I would say that I paid for the convenience, but I'm not sure about how convenient it was. I would rate it a solid 8 out of 10. The experience was good, but Carvana should make a few changes, if I were going to use them again.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Two years ago I bought a car from Carvana and it was an amazing experience. So I started to refer them to everyone I knew (at least 3 people I know also bought a car after presented Carvana to them). This week I tried to buy another car and they made it so hard (every time I sent a document they asked me to another) that I had to cancel my order. I am so disappointed.

Carvana response

Creating a great car buying process is our top priority and that includes helping our customers find the best financial terms that meet their lifestyle. We recognize that everyone’s situation is different and apologize if our verification process lacked timeliness and communication. Our goal is to use our customers’ feedback to continue to improve our underwriting/verification process. Although we are sad to see you go, we are thankful you took the time to share your personal experience with us.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I have purchased several cars over the years. This was the easiest, fastest car buying experience I have ever experienced. I would purchase with this company again. The entire process from beginning to end was less than an hour.

Original review: July 25, 2021

Junk!! Pre approved me, found a vehicle, started getting my hopes up, then they said "Nope we can't help you" for reasons that they knew about from the pre approval process. I can not recommend this company with those kind of practices to anyone.

Carvana response

Thank you for taking the time to reach out regarding your recent Carvana experience. We recognize that everyone’s situation is different and apologize if our verification process lacked timeliness and communication. Our goal is to use our customers’ feedback to continue to improve our underwriting/verification process. We are very sorry for letting you down and appreciate any and all feedback. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to utilize our 24/7 chat service and we would be happy to assist.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I was nervous to start buying but found a 2015 Nissan Rogue with a decent mileage and payments wasn’t out of expected if not better than I could've hoped. See credit needs work, there was a delay due to transport but did show up a couple days later. Test drove. Love it. So they took my old car away and I got 200 for old but it was in rough shape and got a pound in the back seat lol. I did hear an issue contacting them. Was able to have looked at and was found to be nothing. It drive beautifully and mechanic said it was a sound decent car. I will be hopefully have it for a long time. Thank you Carvana.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Vehicle was a week later than the promised delivery. On the delivery date the vehicle was damaged. After the test drive, I took it out for errands & found mechanical issues. Now needs body & service work on my time but their dollar!

Carvana response

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding your recent experience with Carvana. We want to ensure that every customer has an exceptional car buying  process. This starts with meeting the deadlines we set and providing accurate timelines. The last thing we want to do is inconvenience a customer in any way with a delay, in addition to having to go through the After Sale Repair process. After reviewing your account, it does look like you have been  actively working with our Post Sale team to have your concerns addressed. Once again, we are truly sorry for the issues you encountered and we appreciate your patience through it all. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Carvana Company Information