1.12/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of America Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I've been with BofA for 30 years now. Never had any issues with anything except long waiting lines sometimes. They often ask how they can help me and they always send a review link in my emails as to how they did and what can be improved. They don't pay much for savings accounts and their loan rates are a bit pricey, but been very happy with their customer service for all these years.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had recently moved 401k money into a CMA account and was having difficulty accessing my money. I do not have an account with Bank of America but Zachary ** of the Vero Beach branch went above and beyond to find a solution to my issue without even questioning if I want to open an account with them. His concern for my issue, and his professional manner in resolving the issue were awesome and I wish I every bank I walked into had people who cared in the same way.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Great service. Easy to apply for loan online. Great rates & terms. BOA is very loyal to their customers! Excellent customer service too! We got both our auto loan & home mortgage through Bank of America. We have been highly satisfied customers of BOA since 2003!

Original review: June 24, 2019

I stopped at the Fountain Plaza branch today to order a replacement debit card. The customer service was excellent -- prompt, attentive, thorough. My time was limited and I very much appreciated the service from Lisa ** (who said she's normally at the Transit Road office) and relationship manager Jake **. They are 10 out of 10 in my book!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I initially applied for this card after using their card finder tool. It displayed here are your offers. I was instantly denied on reconsideration. Call a helpful analyst. Advised me opening a savings account with Bank of America would help. I opened it and applied again after being prompted to do so upon completion of opening my savings account. After a few days of the card being in review and confirmation of savings account being open I called back and the analyst said he didn’t see the savings account being open yet but denied the application. At first this disappointed me but my husband suggested writing an email to the executive department. I doubted it would help but to humor him I did. He found an email address for Mr. Brian **. I emailed him and explained my circumstances and asked for reconsideration.

A few days later I received a call from Mr. Moynihan himself. At first I couldn’t talk so I asked him to call me back. Knowing now that he is the CEO and Bank president I am actually surprised he did call back. After a 10 min conversation he indicated he was going to approve me for the card with a small starting limit. I am thankful for the chance and am confident it will grow. The commitment This Gentleman has for his customers is far superior than anyone else in the banking community. Leaps and bounds above Douglas Tabish at American Express who feels it is beneath him to reply to an email or even place a call to a customer but instead calls his assistant and instructs her to do his dirty work. Mr. Moynihan’s Integrity and commitment is something other CEO’s can learn from. I will be a lifelong loyal customer for now on and refer all of my friends and family in the future to Bank of America. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Their customer service system sucks - Their system sucks because you have to talk to a different person every time you call and reiterate your problem over and over again. They do not understand how big of an inconvenience this is for customers like myself who have to deal with the same problem for two months. They denied my claim 3 times because they cannot figure out which claim it is categorized as and how needs to be filled out. They also deny your claim even if you have provided the information they asked for. They do not get back to you in a timely manner.

I have spoken to 7 different people from Bank of America in the last 2 months about a simple claim that could have been resolved when I called initially. They have wasted my time and have no remorse over it. I had to threaten to cancel my account in order for anything to be done in my favor. John in Tampa was the only person of the 7 people I spoke with that was of any help and who gave me answers - He is the reason I am giving them 1 star instead of zero. I am disgusted with this customer service.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I wanted to be safe. I had a small casino win (1575). The Horseshoe ask if I wanted cash or a check. I said check just in case I was robbed on the way home. I got up, went to the bank Saturday morning (inside). I spoke with the Branch Manager. "Oh sure. We will give you 500 dollars counter credit this morning." I said, "are you sure." "Yes, of course". "The rest will probably clear on Tuesday after 5 pm. Guess what!!! I checked my account Tuesday morning -491. I have never in my life had a negative balance. I am done. So done. Liars. I ask them before I deposited this check whether or not it would clear. Is it a deposit hold on the check until 10/17. Mind you I deposited this check on Saturday October 5.

I am done. First; BOA gets rid of temporary card; Scraps the "Keep the Change Program"; now a 12 hold my check. Mrs. ** the rep stated it's a personal hold from the Horseshoe with a smirk on her face. I called the Casino and I talked with the Cage Supervisor. Wells Fargo has cleared the check. Its makes sense. The casino was willing to give me the money right then and there. Why is that you can get your money from a casino but not a bank??? Run from Bank of America!!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Computer upgrades are supposed to be seamless to the customer. At BOA, they seem to advocate the opposite. My current problem is the inability to schedule regular transfers -- between accounts as well as to outside parties. These have been routinely rejected over the past few weeks without explanation. Also personnel at the branch banks are NOT given the authority to help with these problems. Reaching an online associate is its own frustration costing much time as well as aggravation. I am called a Premium Platinum something, something customer but I am treated in a way my own business would never treat any customer. Perhaps BOA has grown "too large to succeed" to twist a phrase. In any case, I am getting very close to taking my business elsewhere after 15 years with the bank. This is only the latest installment of an ongoing saga -- structural incompetence or lack of care?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

My wife and I have been a Bank of America customers for over forty years. We have banked at the same location in my town in the San Francisco Bay area the entire time. We will close our account as soon as we make arrangements for payroll deposits and recurring automated payments. My wife and I are recently retired from over forty years as educators in our area. We do not have complicated financial dealings and have only our credit union account as our other banking institution.

Three days ago, I deposited a check from US Bank at the ATM at my local branch. Since it was a Sunday, I knew that it would take a day or two for the funds to be available to me. I was horrified to discover the B of A put a hold on the deposit for five to seven days. I read the list of reasons B of A published for holds on deposited checks: 'Situations that typically cause a check to be held include:

'The check is for an amount larger than you normally deposit.
      The source of the check (For example, a personal check is more likely to be held than a government check.).

We suspect that we cannot collect the funds from the account the check is drawn on.'

None of these reasons are applicable to our account. I called the customer service number last night and was convinced about the need to leave this institution by the fact that neither the employee respondent, nor her supervisor were willing or able to represent me to the computer that runs the company to release some or all of the funds...'Protocols must be followed' was the mantra they both repeated. I am writing to issue a warning to all Bank of America customers....Take your money and get away from this impersonal, self-serving and inhumane bank and its personnel. WE ARE.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

We were entangled in a mess whereby Bank of America enrolled us in a program at reduced payments and reduced interest rate. We paid the proper amounts due but were subsequently told that we were not enrolled in such a program and the bank charged us late fees. The original enrollment associate was supposed to have a read a disclosure stating that we would have to wait for a letter of approval. A subsequent associate informed us that the enrollment associate "never actually did anything to move the process forward but just left the paperwork dangling, with nothing done."

So despite us having paid the proper amount due based on the original phone approval, Bank of America haphazardly imposed a late fee and adamantly refused to adjust the fee and any accrued interest, stating "we don't do that and we can't do that." We were told that Bank of America can provide coaching to associates for process and communication mistakes but that's all they are willing to do: Customers are burdened with any consequential fees. This is a rather savage mistreatment of unwitting consumers. There seems to be a pattern of this erroneous misbehavior among a large population of this Bank's customers. It is unfortunate that the company runs rampant on not only consumer rights but what seems to be proper banking process.

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg