Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Bank of America Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I've been with BofA for 30 years now. Never had any issues with anything except long waiting lines sometimes. They often ask how they can help me and they always send a review link in my emails as to how they did and what can be improved. They don't pay much for savings accounts and their loan rates are a bit pricey, but been very happy with their customer service for all these years.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had recently moved 401k money into a CMA account and was having difficulty accessing my money. I do not have an account with Bank of America but Zachary ** of the Vero Beach branch went above and beyond to find a solution to my issue without even questioning if I want to open an account with them. His concern for my issue, and his professional manner in resolving the issue were awesome and I wish I every bank I walked into had people who cared in the same way.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Great service. Easy to apply for loan online. Great rates & terms. BOA is very loyal to their customers! Excellent customer service too! We got both our auto loan & home mortgage through Bank of America. We have been highly satisfied customers of BOA since 2003!

Original review: June 24, 2019

I stopped at the Fountain Plaza branch today to order a replacement debit card. The customer service was excellent -- prompt, attentive, thorough. My time was limited and I very much appreciated the service from Lisa ** (who said she's normally at the Transit Road office) and relationship manager Jake **. They are 10 out of 10 in my book!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I initially applied for this card after using their card finder tool. It displayed here are your offers. I was instantly denied on reconsideration. Call a helpful analyst. Advised me opening a savings account with Bank of America would help. I opened it and applied again after being prompted to do so upon completion of opening my savings account. After a few days of the card being in review and confirmation of savings account being open I called back and the analyst said he didn’t see the savings account being open yet but denied the application. At first this disappointed me but my husband suggested writing an email to the executive department. I doubted it would help but to humor him I did. He found an email address for Mr. Brian **. I emailed him and explained my circumstances and asked for reconsideration.

A few days later I received a call from Mr. Moynihan himself. At first I couldn’t talk so I asked him to call me back. Knowing now that he is the CEO and Bank president I am actually surprised he did call back. After a 10 min conversation he indicated he was going to approve me for the card with a small starting limit. I am thankful for the chance and am confident it will grow. The commitment This Gentleman has for his customers is far superior than anyone else in the banking community. Leaps and bounds above Douglas Tabish at American Express who feels it is beneath him to reply to an email or even place a call to a customer but instead calls his assistant and instructs her to do his dirty work. Mr. Moynihan’s Integrity and commitment is something other CEO’s can learn from. I will be a lifelong loyal customer for now on and refer all of my friends and family in the future to Bank of America. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I've been with Bank of America off and on since 2004. I started a new checking account and decided to take my paycheck into the branch to deposit it. The teller tells me they would hold the check until January 23rd. Cool! That was no issue. However, I called the automated line and was told my check is holding and will be released on January 30th. This is a big problem!! I have small kids and have no idea what I am supposed to do for money until then. I called their customer service department and was basically told "I understand how you feel". How could you possibly understand how I feel when I can't even feed my kids. What makes matters worse, is no one could tell me why my check has been put on extended hold. I asked for the name of the dept. I could speak with and was told they do not speak with customers. Stay away!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

This is the second times. So, I have to write so that you may aware. I am a more than 20 years customer of BOA and using their full services including 4 accounts (2 saving and 2 checking account); I have two cards from BOA: BOA World Master Card and my BOA debit VISA card. Somehow, after I renewed my cards (credit and debit) in 2019. BOA set up something wrongly into my current cards/accounts so that I can never purchase any international items, they keep require additional verification steps so that it failed ALL purchases including buying directly international flight tickets from Air Thai, Qatar Airways.... websites (NOT thru any ticket agency / tourist services). So, I am temporary full-time student in India, my US phone will not be available for using in India (the sim chip is incompatible). So I have to use my alternate cell phone number in India.

At 1st, I was trying contact BOA by email but the website does not provide me any email address. Secondly, I contacted them by their Facebook. Thought of this may be the fastest way; however, they responded pretty slow (more than 1 business day) and finally all they can is only to give me the Customer Support phone number at 1877 388 6581. This number can be found on Google anyway. Thirdly, I called to BOA toll free number as given, the phone line put me in waiting pretty long. Badly, my full phone charge from India went out of pocket. This happened twice.

Fourthly, I have to back to Facebook and require they to call me. It took many steps verifying my account. Eventually, they still not be able to take off the extra verification steps in all both my credit and debit cards. All I can do is to ask my friend buying tickets for me. And I have to use Western Union to transfer money to me. Definitely it is costly more (for WU service) and also very non-sense. So, credit/debits are designed for convenience but this case it indicated the most idiot services I ever entered. As soon as back to my hometown, I definitely go away from BOA which decision I do not want since I maintain accounts with BOA more than 2 decades.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I opened an account with BofA about a month ago. Today they closed my account, without reason. I had no overdraft fees, I had over $1300 in the account, I had direct deposit set up. And I went to log on and my account was locked. I called their customer service phone number and the guy told me that they decided to close my account. When I asked why he gave me some corporate spiel how they can close an account whenever and they don’t need a reason. So I asked to speak to a supervisor, considering I had just deposited quite a bit of money in the account, and I had bills I needed to pay, plus I’m moving across the country in a few days and I need my money.

The supervisors name was Tracy. He was rude, condescending, and loud. At one point in the conversation he even told me “we can end this conversation if you’re not gonna listen” because I was confused as to why they couldn’t give me a reason. He then stated that the money in my account will be held for the next 5-7 business days and then they will send a check out to me. I won’t even be at the same address. I have never had such poor customer service in my life. He interrupted me and didn’t give me any answers. I had to get this bank account because it was the only bank available in NV and MI (where I’m moving to). I would’ve stayed with Wells Fargo if they had those in the state that I’m moving to. Do not bank with these people. Where is my money.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I've been with BoA for more than five years and during that time have heard numerous personal and business acquaintances complaining about what a terrible bank BoA is. My experiences with Bank of America have been limited, but none of them have been positive. Today I went in to make a withdrawal and get some information about my account. From their manager to the 'Personal Banker' to the Teller, customer interaction was terrible. My guess is that being the crap company that they are, they are not able to get, or to keep, quality people.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I wish there is an option of negative rating. I would have given them a lowest ever rating possible. They are the horrible bank to deal with. With decades old process and online system, I am not sure how they are surviving in today's world. Now I will explain the specific issue I faced. I had a checking account with them with a direct deposit setup. Along with this I have a credit card too. I used to pay my credit card bill online using my checking account. Few weeks back I closed my checking account for hell lot of issues like: 1. You cannot move funds quickly, 2. Their savings account APY is the lowest in the market. 3. Lots of restrictions moving money to and from. etc.

The real problem started once I close the account and tried to pay my credit card. They dont have any option to pay credit card bill online using external bank account. What the heck!!!!! So, bill payment option started throwing all sort of weirdest errors and asked me to call a number every time. You will see a new number each time you encounter an error and funny part is none of them work.

Now, I started trying make payment using their phone banking. Average wait time to reach a human is 40-50 minutes. And if you try automated payment system through phone, it will either not recognize your voice command or will not leave you any option to post the payment. You have to really really yell at it to make it understand the voice command. Bottomline. Weird, teared, worst online, phone banking and mobile banking compared to competitors. Outdated products and processes. Worst customer service I have ever seen in a bank. GO AWAY from BANK OF AMERICA!! And good luck if this bank survives for long with these systems and services.

Not sure about Bank of America?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor