3.11/5
Based on 2,086 ratings submitted in the last year

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

4297 Bank of America Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

I initially applied for this card after using their card finder tool. It displayed here are your offers. I was instantly denied on reconsideration. Call a helpful analyst. Advised me opening a savings account with Bank of America would help. I opened it and applied again after being prompted to do so upon completion of opening my savings account. After a few days of the card being in review and confirmation of savings account being open I called back and the analyst said he didn’t see the savings account being open yet but denied the application. At first this disappointed me but my husband suggested writing an email to the executive department. I doubted it would help but to humor him I did. He found an email address for Mr. Brian **. I emailed him and explained my circumstances and asked for reconsideration.

A few days later I received a call from Mr. Moynihan himself. At first I couldn’t talk so I asked him to call me back. Knowing now that he is the CEO and Bank president I am actually surprised he did call back. After a 10 min conversation he indicated he was going to approve me for the card with a small starting limit. I am thankful for the chance and am confident it will grow. The commitment This Gentleman has for his customers is far superior than anyone else in the banking community. Leaps and bounds above Douglas Tabish at American Express who feels it is beneath him to reply to an email or even place a call to a customer but instead calls his assistant and instructs her to do his dirty work. Mr. Moynihan’s Integrity and commitment is something other CEO’s can learn from. I will be a lifelong loyal customer for now on and refer all of my friends and family in the future to Bank of America. Thanks.

Original review: March 15, 2019

In March/02/2019 I was attended for ** in Bank of America 20431 US-441, Boca Raton, FL 33498. She was a formidable person. Good to know that there are people just like her in the world. Thank you so much. Marcelo

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

A lot of people will talk negatively about this bank. However, their negative feedback is based either on one account type or a level of ignorance towards Bank of America policies. As I have had my accounts with them for a very long time, I have never had an issue with them. The fees and charges are properly described by their agreements (which you should learn to read), the money in their accounts is accessible around the world as they link with other banks. I lived in China for 4 years and was able to deposit and withdraw without any charge for exchanging RMB. The account showed how much I had in USD and RMB, and I would just withdraw RMB without an exchange charge, WONDERFUL!!

Also, their customer service, though has long wait times, are extremely helpful. I truly feel they are on your side in any situation. I called to cancel my payments on an autopay to a toll company because they were wrongfully charging me. They not only stopped payments, but also opened a claim, and returned my lost money from the toll company. Their accounts are not the best for investments or saving, but I use other banks for those types of account. They have the highest rated Credit Cards and I agree with that rating. All in all I love and have loved banking with Bank of America.

Original review: June 19, 2019

BoA makes it very difficult to access the checking account from abroad. I opened a BoA account when I moved in 2015 for a time period of two years from Germany to the US. Now, two years later after going back to Germany, I wanted to transfer part of my checkings account balance to my German bank account. (I use only and mobile banking by the way). But as I was told by the customer service agent, I am not able to make transfers exceeding $1,000 as I don't have an American phone number/address anymore. Therefore I cannot use the Safepass feature that is required for transfers exceeding $1,000. I find that extremely annoying.

The alternative of writing a check is not an attractive option as checks are not common in Europe anymore and their redeeming them comes with high fees. I was happy with Bank of America while I was in the US but the recent experience frustrates me. Bank of America might be a good choice for permanent US residents but not for international people. I now regret that I chose Bank of America as I have no real access to my money anymore.

Original review: June 18, 2019

My branch of Bank of America is located in Pembroke Pines, Florida. The tellers are really nice but usually there is only one taking care of the deposits, checks, etc. Even though they have a lot of nice ladies walking around in high heels nobody seems to care about the line. I understand that they are trying to save money, having less and less employees but I think the customer deserves the best service. Anyway the bank functions with our money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: June 17, 2019

I received an email from BofA the first of Jan '19 informing me that the replacement credit card which I requested was in the mail to my home. I contacted BofA Customer Service right away to let them know that I did not make a request for a new credit card. He corrected me to say, 'Yes you did. You called this morning to request the new card, and it is being processed now.'

I politely let him know that I did not request a new card, and live alone, so no one else has my information to make this request. How does this happen since anyone who accesses my account must have my personal PIN? He agreed, however, he stated that unfortunately the log shows the BofA customer rep shared my personal information with the caller vs. requiring the caller to state the personal information.

We made arrangements to stop the delivery of the credit card immediately since the requester was planning to pick it up from my mailbox. Since that time, I have had nothing less than a series of credit issues, with the final straw was this past week when there was $3400 international Armani charges, with no BofA alert when the charge hit my account. When I called about the charge, BofA had the nerve to ask me if I knew how to protect myself from fraudulent charges. Yes, I do. Closing all of my accounts. See ya BofA!

Original review: June 17, 2019

I was looking for a new bank to open an extra bank account. The CPA I used to work for banked with BOA so I decided to give them a try. I regret that decision every day of my life now. I had so many problems with them, especially the "young account security." I banked with Chase, I never had one bit of a problem with not being able to use my card for anything, just because it's not a vendor they don't recognize or location outside of my geography in the first 9 months you opened your account. This was a brand new issue.

Then let's talk about mobile deposit. The way their app works, you have to align and take perfect pictures for you to move forward with depositing the checks, so I know my pictures were fine, and after the third time of them telling me I did not take the photos properly, I even screenshotted to have proof. Then their reps told me, it maybe a technical issue, but yet, they charged me $35 for that deposit checks their system messed up for every time it's returned. I couldn't deposit my checks due to YOUR technical issues, and you charged me 3 times of $35. Does that even sound right? Then the reps told me to call technical dept to make a complaint, who did not pick up my calls for 45 minutes, and then transferred me back to banking center.

And let's talk about the call center. When I called into any bank/financial institution, the longest I waited was 5 minutes for high call volume periods. BoA? 10-30, or just now, because I closed my account with them, I guess, the waiting period is 35-59 minutes, and I have to leave my phone number for them to call back. I never had the worst experience with any bank like this. This is banking institution from hell. I don't recommend anyone to bank with them. I never got anyone to try to work to get my $35 x 3 because of their technical issue by the way.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I've been a customer for 20 plus years, and really not sure why. I was charged $280 in overdraft fees from a "pending authorization" that never cleared. Customer service was not very empathetic. The only thing that made my account negative was the fees they charged. For a bank that was previously sued for predatory charges they sure have not seemed to change their tune.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I had a terrible experience today finding out how this bank works and how insensitive and money hungry they can be. I made a courtesy call the morning of my due payment date to let them known I was having a financial hardship, that I couldn’t make the minimum payment but gave them an exact date when I could pay it, which was about a week, which would be when I got paid. I just called to make the payment and asked them if they could please remove the late fee if any due to the unfortunate circumstances that life sometimes life gives. And the kid asked me what my hardship was, if I didn’t mind him asking - as if it’s any of their business!!! I’d understand if I called after the due date to notify them I’d be late but NO I CALLED that same day!

Then I told him my hardship which is completely reasonable and understandable and then he gave me this whole spiel about how the bank appreciates my business and the many loyal years I have been with them but that they could not waive the fee of $27 DOLLARS!!!! I haven’t asked for any waiving of fees in the past year so there’s absolutely no excuse for them not to be able to waive a ridiculous small fee especially after a kind and courteous call notifying them early that I could not pay that day. I then asked to speak to the manager, and she basically said “Sorry, but we have to treat all our customers the same”?!?! What in the world??

I’m not asking to be treated differently just to please kindly appreciate the courtesy of me calling in advance by removing since I’m making my payment! And she responded, "I’m sorry, that’s just the way it is. Our bank doesn’t do deferments and we have payment plans that you could have used as well." Is this lady not listening!?!? I didn’t have any dollar to my name! I told her it was ridiculous that a billion or trillion dollar bank can’t take one's hardships into consideration for once!! She then asked me what my hardship was just like the first kid and I told her and she was like, "Oh well taking that particular hardship into consideration I will be able to waive your fee this ONE time." Saying, "I appreciate you telling this to a stranger as it is not easy sharing one's private life and private problems with a stranger."

It’s completely ridiculous that they have these people determining whether your hardship is personally enough for them to waive a $20 late fee. Completely unprofessional and unethical!!!! I have had this bank before before I decided to close my checking account with them because their fees are outrageous. If you accidentally slip or god forbid you have $0 in your account, they’ll charge you for that too!!! It is the LAST TIME I ever have any services with such a money hungry bank that feeds on the poor and the rich!!! They are not there for the people at all!! So if you want to get jipped some money they are the bank.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Updated on 06/17/2019: Bank of America is a Racist Bank. Hi, my name is Mohammed **, and I am a client of Bank of America for a good number of years now. I just finished medical school and about to start my residency in medicine. For my move to a new state, I was supposed to receive a wire transfer that bank of America has been holding for over 10 days now. I am writing to let you know that this bank is a racist bank, especially the wire transfer department that has been holding my money for over 10 days now without releasing for lame reasons that they wouldn't tell you as if it was a military secret. From the sender's bank that informed them that they needed their middle initial, even though the sender bank did, in fact, respond with the information, BOA would still not release the funds.

I do not know. If this is not racism what it is. Your bank should be ashamed of itself. I have left them a lot of messages and nobody from the bank got back to me until I left a bad review on Consumer Affairs, which is a clear indicator that they do not care about your customers, rather they care about their reviews. I will cancel my BOA account and make sure to spread the word of how awful and racist this bank is to all my circle, and to a circle as large as I could.

Original Review: Bank of America wire transfer department doesn't seem to know what they're doing. I have had a wire transfer to my account from an outside bank. Usually, the wire transfer goes into your account within two days maximum. They took 10 days and they're still not showing the money in my account. They asked for a clarification from the sending bank which is the middle initial of the sender, they received it and they still wouldn't release the funds because the people who are responsible for reviewing these things "are not to be contacted neither by customers nor customer service." This is ridiculous and this is the last time I am using this awful bank.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Deposited a regular check with ATM and they held it for 10 days. Customer service is horrible and do nothing to remedy problem. If you need your money right away, they don't care. Absolutely horrible.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Allowed a company to charge my EXPIRED card for a fraudulent subscription after it was canceled. So I cancel all my BOA cards that I used at 5-15K per month. Have a nice day BOA. For $168.00 you lost a 25 year customer.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Very bad experience in Bay area & Sacramento by BofA lady Marie. Signed up and paid fees for a year. Lost $800. Even account was told it's Free. Never got $500 credit either. Lame excuses. Liars. 2nd time, when contacted Mary, she said nothing she could do. Never ever trust them.

Original review: June 10, 2019

They charge ridiculous fees for everything and if you ask why they will throw rocks at you. Never answer the phone and give you the runaround about everything. Closing my accounts with them. I paid more money in fees than I even had in any of my accounts while with them. I don't usually write reviews but they are the worse institution in the world.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have had an account with BOA and its predecessors for 38 years. Bank of America suspended my account because they said they sent a letter to my son who is on my account to update his information supposedly mandated by the Federal Government. My son never received the letter. Bank of America never contacted me. This caused 4 of my credit card payments and an insurance payment to be returned. This action by BOA has hurt my excellent credit. I will not forgive and forget.

I am advising everyone not to bank with BOA. They are too big. Go with a local bank and also have a separate account a two different banks so that all your funds are not tied to one bank. I have a checking and savings account with BOA. Funny thing I am on my Mother's Bank Account with another bank which was opened about the same time as I put my son on my account, her bank has never contacted me about updating my information. BOA just wanted to tie up my money. Maybe they are short after the stock market ups and downs.

Original review: June 5, 2019

This bank is trash!! Don’t believe the lies. They are still the same POS they were years ago with charging the unnecessary fees and not telling you how they work until after the fact the. Acting like they can’t help you with fake stipulations. I went back last year and have had nothing but back to back issues and no help, constantly being told different or pieces of information instead of the full detail about how things work with the fees. I spoke with Amanda a manager with customer service and she was zero help and went on about stipulations and telling me she could tell me more about fees when that’s the same thing other rep told me and it was not all the information. Every time I call it’s something different. I’m closing my account. I HATE THIS BANK!!! Y’all are liars and scheming and really out here getting people for their money. Just trash and soon y’all will be in the hole just like Wells Fargo snake **. I wouldn’t even give one star.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I wish I could give -1 to Bank of America and it’s associates answering phone calls and branch employees! I have requested credit increase 2 times and have been declined 2 times. With excellent credit and income of 100k+!!! This is a joke! My checks are always on hold, this time it went overboard and they put hold for 12 days! Same check that comes 2 a month. People are rude! Seems like they discriminate people based on appearance! Applied for Chase bank, instantly approved for 10k in cc. Closing all my accounts with Bank of America. 10 years they used my money and couldn’t increase my credit line from 500$ to 2k. Joke!

Original review: June 3, 2019

I've had nothing but problems with the website & APP. I recently was forced to make my payment using their automated phone payment system. It looked like it worked. I even got emails thanking me for my payment. Then two weeks later I got a late payment collection call from them. Three hours later (mostly on hold & after getting disconnected twice) I demanded to speak with a supervisor & I think I've resolved the problem, hopefully with no late fee. We shall see. I told them to put me back on snail mail paper billing & I'll write them checks until my balance is paid off...then, it's goodbye BOA!!

Original review: May 30, 2019

This all start when I checked my account in my phone app and found several debit holds on my checking account with no vendor names attached to them. I called the number on the bottom of the app for fraud in hopes of finding out what was going on. The first CSR I got said that she could not tell me why but the holds were put in place by BOA itself. She then transferred my to another CSR. An auto reply asked if I had gotten a letter and if not put my social in and wait for a person to answer. When I finally got a human we went through everything to prove I was who I said I was. But she said that she could give me any info on the account and it had been frozen due to him husband also being on the account and the freezing of the account pertained to him. My husband has not used this account in over 15 years but for some reason BOA took it upon themselves to supposedly send him a letter to update his personal information.

Of course neither of us have seen this letter and the only money on this account is my paycheck. But according to the CSR I had no say over anything to do with the account. They said unless he called within 72 hours it would remain frozen till he did so. When I arrived home I dialed the number I was given and listened to the conversation on speaker phone. They proceeded to ask for name address origin of country occupation and social. For that small amount of info they froze the account and blocked me out of having any say about my money period.

After remaining quiet while the woman went through theses trivial questions I made myself known and asked if why this account was in both our names. I wasn’t asked for updated information or even told why I couldn’t access my account for such a small stupid reason. Come today or tomorrow my husband is removing himself from this account and once I get and withdraw our direct deposits squared away si another bank I will be taking MY money and closing the account with Bank Of America. I’m sure they are too big to care but hopefully this story will some other person they feel the need to prey on.

Original review: May 30, 2019

When I opened a secured credit card in Bank of America Walnut Creek, California branch (North Main Street, 94596), the manager told me that in a few months, I will graduate from secured to unsecured and my credit limit will increase from $300. I was also advised to use my credit card and make purchases. I did. I also paid full credit amount on time all the time. However, after seven months, I called and requested an increase and was declined. They made my credit card unsecured but it was a joke because the limit was still $300. I tried again 10 months later and was declined again.

Moreover, TransUnion told me what I've been advised was wrong because I should only use up to 30 percent of credit limit as I was going for 100 percent pay it in full and purchase again and this was never explained to me by BoA. They never cared that it would affect my credit score. How difficult would it have been to explain that I should only use up to 30% of my credit limit as it would affect my score? Anyhow, I decided to close both my checking and credit cards because I was pissed. I tried to reach another Walnut Creek manager by email, also by phone, complained on their Customer Service, even went to one of their branches - the one in San Ramon, CA and all to no avail. They did not increase my limit.

Original review: May 30, 2019

On a scale of 1-10, giving their customer service and client relations team a 1 would be generous. I was put on a "brief 1-2 minute hold" which in reality was about 15 minutes. After approximately 5 hours on the phone, I was told by a manager that there was nothing they could do for me. The worst part was the manager asked to call me back with more information. When I received the call back, he left me a 15 second voicemail asking to call him back at the 1-800 number. It took me another 20 minute call just to track him down again to hear he couldn't help me.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Somehow Bank of America processes all the EDD Cards for the United States after being one of the companies that stole billions from its citizens. As if that wasn't bad enough they still try to rob you anyway they can. I never received my EDD card so after waiting almost 3 weeks they finally told me that the card was never sent so I would have to pay $10 to get a replacement card for a card I never received in the first place. Then I used a Bank of America ATM machine to withdraw money from the card and the keypad doesn't work and the machine ate my card.

The lady behind told me that she never uses the Bank of America ATM's for her EDD card because it only eats EDD cards. That seems odd, why only EDD cards I thought? Then I called to the number on the ATM to get my card back and was told that I had to order another card because even though they are BofA cards they are not considered BofA cards and they shred them. So I have to order a new card and pay another $10. ** Scam, How anyone does business with BofA is beyond me, and how the government forces people to do business with those criminals absolutely infuriates me.

Original review: May 26, 2019

Recently went into the branch to see a customer relationship manager about changing my address. However, the lady at the reception (can't remember her name) would not let me see a relationship manager unless I also wanted another credit card. This made me very frustrated - so I can't see anyone unless I open a new account now? I told her I'd like to speak to someone, and she kept insisting I go online and she'd only get someone if I wanted to open a new account, otherwise I can just go online. Very disappointed with this customer service.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I never write reviews but, I'm beyond upset with Bank of America. I filed a dispute for $505. I was told I have to wait 45 days for my claim to be reviewed. I couldn't wait so I asked for a credit. They told me I couldn't since I was new member. Since they couldn't I contacted the merchant and the merchant gave me a refund. The merchant stated I would get the refund between 3-5 business days. I said ok. I contacted BOA and ask for the release of funds because the merchant gave me a refund. They said they couldn't do. I said ok. Gave up.

So during this time I started to receive unemployment every Friday. So I knew I was getting deposits. This took place the firsts week in April. So after talking to a agent a week after the merchant refund I received the credit from BOA as well. I didn't realize BOA gave me the credit a week after. Now here we are on May. BOA reverse the charge putting my account in the negative. Now they want me to pay them back. But that's not my fault. What was the point of them reviewing my account and giving me the money after I told them I'm getting a refund. The reps were not understanding at all. Nobody notated the account properly. And even when I told them to listen to the call they didn't want to. They were not trying to help me at all.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I have spent the last ten years completing my bankruptcy terms. Not one missed or late payment. Credit score now ranges from 780 to 810. All sites consider excellent. Decent amount of accounts to verify. While yes I did have issues from 2008 so did they. They took government money with no shame, so why am I being denied a second chance? What is ridiculous is murderer's have spent less time in prison than people who file for BK. This bank does not care about you or anybody for that matter, they want to use your money to make them more money hand over fist. Just to be clear the credit unions are far better if you want those "holds" to not apply, or want a loan that same day. All these crooks want is to hold your money in float as long as they can so their money pours in without you knowing it should be yours. Run While You Can!

Original review: May 23, 2019

My husband and I had joint checking and savings accounts with BoA. Both accounts were established for several years. One day I called to verify a deposit. I was told they couldn't provide me the information as I was no longer on the account. She did tell me my husband could get that information plus she listed the other person who appeared on the account-my ex husband of years. The ex had no knowledge of these accounts nor would he have cared and he has never banked with BoA. And my husband didn't remove me and add my ex. Plus this would require signatures of which there were none.

We immediately opened an investigation. After 6 weeks we were told the findings were 'inconclusive'. We reopened the investigation and this time we noted our belief it was their error. A person isn't randomly added to an account with a computer glitch. Someone at BoA knowingly made this happen. After 6 weeks the results were the same. Somehow this all happened without anyone or anything at BoA assuming any responsibility. We promptly closed all our accounts. I will never recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Despite being a customer since 1989 and a PLATINUM HONORS member, I still receive utterly disappointing Customer Experience all around. Here are recent examples all in the past week: Went into a local branch to get wire service. Was asked to wait in the lobby, where I did for almost an hour without any service. Eventually I just walked out. Called BOFA customer service, which is highly automated upfront, and after being recognized as a legitimate account holder, the systems puts me on indefinite hold, over 30 minutes, nothing...just a black hole. Called again twice, and the something happened. Clearly they have IT issues as well. Disappoint Bank of America customer in San Francisco.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I’ve been with BofA for several years now. Their customer service continues to get worse. It’s not just the call centers, but the local branches are trash as well. I’ve had several issues with them, especially when it involves moving money from their accounts to others. I am so unimpressed with how poorly organized and run this organization is. I will be moving all of my money out from BofA in the very near future. Terrible bank. Wouldn’t recommend.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I deposited a check from MoneyGram, made out to me into my BOA account at their ATM. I've banked with them 25 years. They put a TEN DAY HOLD on the funds. TEN DAYS!!! When I called to complain, they took off the hold (it took 2.5 hours of talking to multiple people). Four days later? They put the hold BACK ON, without notifying me at all. Nothing had changed. The hold is supposed to come off tomorrow, the original 10 days they had initially held it for. I'm closing my account asap. This bank is a nightmare.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I got an ID theft and all my information was hacked thru my computer. My Bank of America credit card was charged and my phone app alerted me, then I reported to the related commercial stores such as eBay, Walmart, Amazon.. Then I was advised to contact my Bank of America. All the purchases had been in pending and some of the purchased were cancelled by either Ebay, Amazon and Paypal, but the last one purchased from Walmart wasn't and after 3 months via around 20 phone calls made by me, Bank of America investigation department failed to do their job, which was investigating the incident.

They then tried to escape the case by putting the blame on me, a so called zero liability client victim, that I have to be responsible for what I did not do! The amount of money is not big ($199.99), but the frustration is after emails, chAttings, talking on the phones.. I am extremely disappointed with the outcome left for me and I have been very tired for the way Bank of America treating their clients as well as their attitude toward their loyal customer like me. Khanh **

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg