Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.06/5

Bank of America offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity loan, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Bank of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I had many different types of accounts with the Bank of America since opening my first account in year 2008. To date, all accounts operate and have always operated exactly as advertised. Never seen their website down. Never had any problems with any transactions (plastic card, electronic transfers, checks, etc.). BoA is quick to resolve fraudulent charges. Staff members across multiple branches I visited in those years have been welcoming and professional. I believe I am a tough rater, but I cannot think of anything else to even wish for. Through those years of 100% proven reliability I have gained a great confidence in the bank.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I have banked with Bank of America (BoA) ever since they were NCNB. I’ve seen the highs and the lows, as they say, with BoA development and my own financial challenges. The one thing I will say is that I’ve always been able to go to a branch, or call a number and have an issue clarified, explained or resolved, usually in my favor. Currently, I am a “Platinum” member customer (never thought I’d see the day), so I enjoy a number of perks. I like that I have BoA AND Merrill Lynch at my fingertips and easily accessible on the BoA app. I study the operations of other financial institutions, and while there’s some innovative ideas they present, such as Capital One’s “cafe” set up, I’ve seen those innovative ideas come and go (Washington National [Wachovia] tried it back in the 2000’s). Slow and steady wins it, for me. That’s what BoA does for me.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

My only problem with Bank of America is they don't have individual health savings account. My company does not offer this as a benefit but my company's health insurance does qualify under the IRS rules as a high deductible health plan. I would like to open one for myself but BOA does not offer it so I need to go elsewhere to open this type of account; which is a pain since all my banking accounts are with Bank of America.

Original review: July 27, 2020

Reps are always courteous, knowledgeable, and professional, whenever I call Bank of America, the wait time is minimal and the reps are very well trained and know the answers to my questions. I have been a customer of. Bank of America for over thirty five years. During the time in which I have had an account, the bank’s name has changed more times than I can remember. During all the changes that the bank has gone through, their customer service reps have consistently remained customer oriented.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I had an issue while opening an Online Checking and Savings Account, whereas I could have just disregarded and went to another bank. Though I sought to resolve this by requesting help through B.B.B. Ms. Nancy ** was extremely proficient and professional and went above and beyond to get my accounts opened. Ms. Nicole ** at Wheeler Road Branch in Augusta, Georgia assisted me in a timely, kind, safe and welcoming way! It's important to recognize such service!

J.W.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Teller mislead, fail to inform me about my check deposit was going to be on hold. For a whole week. I especially asked her was there going to be a hold and she said no. Now the people on the phone telling me that there’s nothing they can do. And apparently as of today they stopped giving any funds till the money is available. I’m extremely disappointed with them for they are not being truthful to their customers. Now I’m having to deal with pass due bills and no money till then.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I have been trying for 3 months now to resolve an issue with a HELOC. An issue that did not happen on my end, but when BOA's systems changed over. They reported me to the credit agencies (my first EVER). Destroyed my credit score. The one person who actually DID spend time with me (almost 3 months ago) couldn't figure it out. Fast forward 3 months, I cannot access my account - I can't even pay off because nobody can give me an accurate amount.

Every time I log in it gives me a different small amount like $.38, or $1.00. I have sent messages through the website with no answer, I have called every customer service number I can find. I have waited for close to 2hs each time I call. I eventually get plugged into a voice mailbox that is full, then the call is dropped. I have even called the local branches and they told me 'They can't help me." There is literally nobody that will help! I am frustrated beyond explanation. I am so disappointed that I even started banking with this bank. As I type this I have been on hold for 43 minutes. Shame on you BOA!!! You will NEVER get business from me again!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Above all else is just bad customer service wait times, having to be on hold for over 4 hours for four days in a row is beyond me. Having to explain to each representative my issue and then to be put on hold for 15-20 minutes for them just to come back and say, "Sorry I have to transfer you to another department," and then for that department just to say, "Sorry I have to transfer you again," after waiting on hold from the last transfer. All that when I already told the first person I talk to what department I needed to begin with. I went through that four days in a row.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I have used the Bank of America in Old Saybrook for several years. I live in the Bank's neighborhood and get a chance to observe it closely (one of the few reasons I went there in the first place, I suppose.) I complained earlier in the Covid crisis, as the Bank was closed (other than an ATM), and because of the unavailability of cash in the ATM. I saw, and had personal experiences, as people walked away disappointed with no cash in their hands because of the empty ATM. A second (drive up ATM) has been added. Now I REGULARLY count a dozen cars in line, waiting for non ATM services, that stretches out to the street. My visit to the drive up teller today took 40 minutes.! (I think there might be another person in there, but only one human at a window. ) I actually saw a man standing in line WITH THE CARS to see a teller, obviously not being able to do his business with the machine!

As far as I can tell, the Clinton, Essex, Old Lyme and Madison banks (all closest to us) are similarly lobby-closed, and the closest bank (in New London) is 17.9 miles away. I'm a Physician and Public Health doctor. I get Covid. But I think this bank is milking it, limiting availability and customer service with the excuse of faux safety. Others are observing masks, distancing and all the anti-viral precautions. It's time the bank considers more than its profit margins... or we need to get to another bank closer than 17 miles.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I have been on hold with the fraud claims department for well over an hour, which I think might be manageable if it weren't for the infuriating recording that chants EVERY 10 SECONDS OR SO. "Thank you for continuing to hold, your call is important to us and will be answered by the next available associate." Ok once would suffice, at this point I'm ready to throw my phone across the room... I have no choice though. I have to file this claim so I cant hang up... So I wait...and wait....and wait.. Cant wait till I do finally reach someone bc they are going to get an earful lol.

Bank of America author review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor