1.77/5
Based on 381 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

3695 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

It is obvious from my experience with Bank of America and the history of successful class action lawsuits against Bank of America, that the bank cares more about the profits of its shareholders than its clients. I was with Bank of America for over ten years. During that time, I was unintentionally part of at least two successful class action lawsuits against them. One was for an unauthorized credit score report and the most recent was for Bank of America's illegal overdraft fees. Recently, I was charged a fee on my savings account, even though I had enough funds in my checking account to also cover my savings account. I then got an overdraft fee after I accidentally paid my Bank of America Visa bill using my savings account with insufficient funds.

After I realized I used my savings account, I attempted to transfer funds from my checking out to my savings account, but the Bank of America website would not allow an immediate transfer, presumably because Bank of America disables the immediate transfer option after the software detects an overdraft. I called customer service and informed her that I had sufficient funds to pay my Visa bill and I attempted to transfer funds from my checking account to my savings account, but the software would not allow an immediate transfer. She told me that she is not aware of the immediate transfer option being disabled but she did see a record of me using the transfer funds settings the day I attempted to transfer the funds. She told me it was a valid overdraft fee and she cannot remove it. I told her that Bank of America validly lost a client.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

After 12 years of being a customer I'm done with BofA. I called them to have one of my rarely used accounts (Savings) closed and instead I ended up with checking (Debit) account closed - I was using this account for everything, including cash withdrawals, paying bills or receiving direct deposits. Although, I have repeatedly asked the customer support representative to confirm the correct account is being closed, they managed to mess up my entire financial setup. Now I have to spend time and possibly money to undo all of this mess. I'm done with Bank of America. Such a sad excuse of a bank!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

If you expect any kind of common sense or personal assistance, find another bank. Bank of America literally SUCKS. I'm removing all my money from all of my accounts and will never, ever use anything related to BOA again. They truly are the most awful bank. I would gladly give ZERO stars, if that were an option.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I had a DDD of today February 22nd for my federal refund to be in my account. I called the customer service lines several times to either be told, “We don't see anything pending or it takes 3 business days for it to be released to you once it's received.” I have had my account with them for 2 years. This is absurd. Never had these issues with any other bank that I have dealt with. I do not recommend using them especially if you don't want your money withheld for an extended period of time.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Do not bank with Bank of America, they are nothing but thieves that nickel and dime you. I have been getting direct deposit from my employer and had gotten a bonus check from them that I had to deposit. So I paid some things off using that money to learn that they put the check on a 10 day hold. They charged me $35 for each returned item. Which in return took my entire bonus away, just in return fees. I will never use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

On occasion I would receive a small miscellaneous check for less than 100.00. Because the checks were drawn on BOA I didn't think there would be a problem cashing them at the bank... but because I no longer had an account with BOA, they charged me a penalty for cashing the check. My husband and I are seniors, living on a fixed income, and cash flow can be a real problem for us at times. When we would receive one of these small checks, it was thankfully welcomed, but it just seemed that if BOA wanted to establish some goodwill to us, charging us a check cashing fee was the wrong way to do it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Sorry no business. Let alone a bank can be perfect. B of A has served me well over the past years. I have had to move to other banks when I moved to an area without a B of A. For the last 26 years, I had the same account until they decided to charge me a fee to continue to use that account. They moved me to a different type of account where I need to maintain a balance in both my checking and savings accounts.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have been a BOA customer for over 20+ years. A few years ago, I had some debit card fraud on my account. I immediately contacted BOA. They assured me that they wouldn't let any more $$$ leave my account without my permission. They did not! I lost $8000. Today, I saw that once again another $1000 was being withdrawn without my permission. I immediately contacted them. I was transferred from person to person and eventually placed on hold for 31 minutes. This is ridiculous. I asked them to "freeze" my account. They did not. I asked them to issue a cashiers check for the full amount of my account. They would not. I asked for cash if they couldn't give me a check. They wouldn't. I refuse to be held hostage by this horrible company. I am now seeking legal recourse and trying to get as far away from this disreputable company as possible. Run. Don't walk away from these crooks!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018 I have had my same account since it opened in Maryland. When BOA they were a consumer friendly bank, great managers, great tellers, friendly atmosphere.

Now they have 1 or 2 teller... long lines and stupid rules. They make you give your ID to make a deposit. I am there every single day since I have a business account. The teller forgot to give me back my license. I went back to make a deposit next day, I said, "You forgot to give me back my license." She said, "We aren't allowed to keep them so we discard them." Really Bank of America! You are unbelievable. I can't wait until my busy season is over so I can get the hell out of you crappy serviced bank! 2 tellers for 20 people in line is UNACCEPTABLE. Commercial accounts have to make deposits everyday and you make it PAINFUL!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

First off I like to say I only got BOA because I was 18, got my first job and the job offered direct deposit and Boa was the only bank within 1 hour. They process things much slower than most banks. Coworkers with other banks consistently got their direct deposit faster. And they always had holds on my deposits. So I stopped using the card. I left it with 0.03 in the account.

I lost my debit card, so I went into a branch to have it replaced. Me and the lady I met with talked for about 20 min. She saw the amount in my bank account even suggested I start a savings account but never said anything about there being a $5.00 charge to replace the card. Thus my account went into the negative. Which of course led to an overdraft fee. Lastly I used my BOA account to direct deposit my tax refund. The IRS sent it to BOA Feb 14th. It's the 20th and my account is still in the negative. Where is my money BOA? Why does it take 3+ business days to process a direct deposit. I can't wait till I get my money so I can withdraw every cent and close my accounts.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

A transaction was made from Bank of America account to another financial institution charge card payment. Payment showed posted from account, yet was being held from being paid still 13 days later. Efforts were made to correct this, transaction was redone by way of three way call between banks and us, 9 days later still not cleared. We've gone to bank, B of A says, "Oh wait, it'll cleared." While we're there an older couple complained of 2 checks posting but not cleared yet 12 days later for medical services they're responsible for. My assumption is that what Bank of America is doing is criminal, holding money somewhere while they gain interest and customers credit is jeopardized. DO NOT USE BANK OF AMERICA... EVER.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Have dealt with Bank of America for many years as a credit card customer and was always treated well. Even financed a new vehicle in the past, the loan processing was lightning fast and the interest rate was better than any dealer could offer. (Of course, it does help things if you have a good credit rating.) If I ever decide to buy another new vehicle, they will definitely be my first choice.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

First, my wife had a trust account for our great niece originally opened in a bank that was subsequently bought by BoA. For some reason we had our bank book updated, and we were shocked to see a $4.25 monthly service fee that was depleting the account. When we complained to the branch manager, the fees were removed. Not too long after, we closed the account and gave the money to the trustee.

Second, I had an HSA account though my employer. When I retired, BoA started to charge a $4.25/mo. service fee because I am no longer adding money to the account. When I called BoA to complain about the fee, they said they could do nothing about it. So I asked to close the account. They said there would be a $25.00 fee to close the account. When I asked for a manager to complain about the $25.00 fee, the person on the phone said that it wouldn't do any good. I closed the account anyway. My wife & I will never do business with Bank of America again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

$300 in Fees! - We were making automatic payments and were never notified about paying a monthly amount less than the monthly payment. Why BofA sends all this advertisement for balance transfer and such and is not able to alert consumers that they are being rip off by their fees?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This organization accelerated and sold our student loan after the student was placed on active duty military orders, this occurred during the time BOA was also accelerating mortgages. They were subsequently investigated by the DOJ and fined. It is however regrettable they were not forced to reinstate the loans they had accelerated before their maturity dates.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I switched from chase to Bank Of America because a branch was closer to my workplace. Immediately I could experience the difference. Paychecks are put on hold for unreasonable time. I asked the bank teller and they said give it some time and as the history of the account is more than 90 days services get better. No, it never did. On top customer care people is extremely rude and don't try to help. Instead like a machine they keep repeating the same thing over and over. I asked to make some fund available as my other banks use to which I think is pretty standard but the guys are uninformed and just tell me what app tells me. There was unexplained deduction of $200 and the customer care just straight up told me it's the way it is. I have never had such bad experience with any bank service.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They have been very convenient and helpful especially with their tie-in with Merrill Lynch. I use their drive-thru and walk-up machines often to get my spending money. I had my very sick sister-in-law move here from Philadelphia and the fact that she used BOA already made it easy for us to keep the continuity.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Ten years ago I secured a second mortgage through B of A and used $50K for home updates. I have NOT used since and owe more today than ten years ago. I have filed numerous complaints with supposed regulatory agencies who simply pass on to B of A who does nothing. I have found numerous articles online indicating this loan met and should have been dissolved through class action lawsuit filed against B of A and yet it was not. Plain and simple - B of A are crooks.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They have to hire someone who knows how to resolve issue with their system. Such an idiots. Asked to hold for more an hour and transferring calls between them asking me my details back to back. Worst customer service. Highly recommended not to do business with these idiots.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I've used B of A for years but am now considering switching. They closed the Pacific Mo bank which was the only one within a reasonable distance. I don't understand why. They have made it VERY inconvenient to continue with them. If we even want to use an ATM we have to pay additional charges. They also closed this location without notify their depositors. At least we received no notification. That is just not right. It's like their customers are not important to them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

About a month ago my card was cloned and they got away with $302.95. It was the bank who alerted me about the suspicious activity in the first place, and there were multiple attempts to withdrawal $302 from my account. The criminals only got away with one charge, and the bank issued a temp. credit to my account. Now The investigation department for the claims and fraud department decided that they were going to reverse the money that was stolen from me, and hold it today, again. So this is 2 times my own money was stolen from me. Once from the criminals, and now from the bank. Now I have bills coming out. And overdraft charges. And they want to still investigate and not give me a credit back.

I will be closing my account. I did my own research in contacted the ATM company and found out there were multiple cards that were cloned used at the same time at 3 in the morning, as well as my card. That atm isn't even being serviced by that atm company anymore, and the bank could not even tell me if it was a.m. or p.m. The bank's reasoning for denying my claim in the first place of fraud was that a pin was used and there was no compromised pin use... well let me tell you I have no idea how these clone cards work with your secure chip debit card but it wasn't me. But that is their bases on denying my claim.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Predatory lending practices are the first thing to notice about this bank. Mortgage lenders are deceptive, fraudulent to the core. On the banking side, they would get you to keep opening accounts and then keep telling that since you have too little on account(s), you need to pay maintenance fees. I am sure one of the days they will get caught - just that the scale they have been deceiving people is amazing to me.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We have had a account for over 20 years. in Concord Nc. Many times we had Problems with our account & in Fredericksburg VA & everytime BOA managers & others including fraud department took care of it & has always put our Security safe for us. Even when it was our fault BOA took care of it in our favor. BOA Is #1 always doing things to keep our account secure for us. Have always took time like as if we was the Only account they had to give us assurance our account Never will be taken by anyone who shouldn't have been used to get information.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Continues banking errors. Hidden rules they don't tell you about till it's too late. They take control of your money and make you jump thru hoops to use it. I have tried to bank with them two times only to be very frustrated and confused. Will never bank there again and suggest everyone else not too.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They are still overcharging people with outrageous late fees. Their customer service is non-existent! Small Business services is NON-EXISTENT. Driver throughs are NON-EXISTENT. I have four BofAs that I can choose from and only one has Teller Assist which isn't bad when it works. Most of the time the machine cannot print a receipt of a deposit. They have no problem or concern if they have a line out the door and only one or two tellers. In the meantime there are four people sitting in their little cubicles waiting for the next slug to come in to sign up for some high interest rate. I wouldn't even give it 1 star.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Closed my nearby branch without notifying me in any way or putting up a sign leaving me with an ATM a few miles further. Changed me a monthly fees charging me $25 without notice and only removed the charge after I called the 800 number telling them I was going to leave them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Had a 'live' check from a new employer that was drawn from Bank of America just a few blocks away. I was shocked when I was informed there would be a $10 fee to cash a Bank of America check at Bank of America, but I could open an account and it would be free. Outrageous.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have had this account for over 30 years. It's been converted to various types of checking accounts with new and different requirements. Recently in October 2017 I received a notice that my checking account would be converted to a different type of account. No changes to the account number but there will be monthly charges with restrictions. I would have to either maintain a minimum $1500 balance to avoid monthly charges or have a direct deposit of at least $250 per month from Social Security or payroll or some other method. This conversion/change takes place in January 2018.

BofA is a large commercial bank and although I have had the account for so many years it has been convenient for me since I travel and I seem to be able to find a BofA branch most places. The convenience keeps me with this bank but there's really no other reason for me to maintain the account. They do offer at the first of the month a series of museums I can visit for free. I guess, that's a nice perk but I can't think of any other applicable benefit that's offered by the bank.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Had locked rate that was not honored by BOA. Frustrating process with poor customer service. Felt cheated and taken advantage of. Over 10 years of doing business with them did nothing for us. Loan representative stated she was sick causing delay but we were still within the lock rate date and still rate not honored.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have had Bank of America for 15 years. I am originally From MA. I moved to MO July of 2017. I did not know what to expect when I got here but the staff of B.O.A welcomed me as if I always lived here. They are friendly and easy to speak with and don't try to pressure you. I will continue to have them as my banking institution.

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.bankofamerica.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use