1.35/5

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4082 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

If you want a continuum of disrespect and frustration, this IS your bank. I have been with them for 19 years and am pulling the balance of my Wealth Management funds. Massive menus, ridiculously long hold times, "inadvertent" hangups, NO accountability, no call-back possibility. Try asking for a manager and you are put on hold until you dry out and cannot hold anymore. Nice MO, BofA! Save yourself frustration… STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had the unfortunate experience of speaking with Tracy ** on the Bank of America customer service line. When I tried to explain to her why my account should not have been overdrawn and then had accrued an overdraft fee, she rudely began to speak over me telling me how I had already agreed to all of the terms when signing up for the account. Well clearly they had not explained it well enough when I signed up, but she did not seem to care and she had actually insinuated that I was not intelligent for not originally understanding the terms of service. I am completely appalled at the way Tracy ** felt that she could talk to me and I never will have another bank account with Bank of America again!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have been with Bank of America for over 5 years. Their customer service was generally very poor with the occasional exception. I put up with this since I didn't have to contact them too often. Last week, they unexpectedly closed my checking account. I had always kept a moderate balance so this couldn't be the issue. I've also never engaged in shady activity. Calling their customer services was utterly unhelpful. They would only tell me that "Bank of America reserves the right to close accounts" and "Bank of America can refuse to cite the reason for this decision" and "Bank of America's decision on this matter will not be reversed." No reason and no option for appeal. Unbelievable. Others who have also had the misfortune of experiencing this can attest to how infuriating this is.

From the time they terminate the account to the time you receive the check of your account's balance could be up to two weeks. They will not electronically wire your balance to another account. This basically means I will be without money for up to two weeks. This is a real shame. I think I was a good customer for them. I can't recommend Bank of America because of this.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I contacted Bank of America regarding a credit card I had set up through their bill pay center. It has not been going through as all of the other cards have been that I set up through their bill pay system. No one could tell me why it didn't go through!!! All I wanted to know was what I needed to do to correct this!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Absolutely no clearance procedures for fraudulent checks. Will deposit anything in 0 time, will show money as available and after you already paid out of your own funds they will tell you that check bounced back. Miserable bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Check this out! I go to the casino. I tried withdrawing money from my account and my card gets declined. I try again and I'm not sure why my card is declined again. I called the bank and they told me that they needed to increase a limit so I can actually use my card at the non Bank of America ATM (Which makes no sense), but that everything was back to normal and I may use my card now. I go back the ATM thinking everything is fine now, my card gets declined again. I try again thinking I might've not giving enough time to process again declined. I call them back. Takes them about 30 minutes to answer. I tell them the situation again, they assure me that the problem is fixed. I go back to the ATM again. My card is declined. Tried again this time finally my card works. Everything is good until the next day I see eleven charges for $2.50 from BANK OF AMERICA for using the ATM 11 charges.

I called them and they said that I had to pay them all those fees for using a non Bank of America ATM and for each time I swiped my card. I only pulled out money successfully twice. Where is all these fees coming from??? How is it my fault that even though I have plenty of money in my account they decide to clock my card? I feel they set me up to rob me and get away with it. This is how they get people and it's very wrong. I can care less about almost $30, but this is not right at all. You think your money is safe at the Bank but if they rob you for $30 I'm pretty sure they can also rob you for more!

Worst Bank in history!!!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BANK AT ALL. Considering this is not the only bad story I have of them. They also held my paycheck for almost 3 weeks talking about they couldn't release my funds until they could verify that the check wasn't a FRAUD. I'm closing my account and moving on! THIS BANK IS A NIGHTMARE! DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT HERE.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Deposited a check in my BofA checking account Dec 8, BofA will NOT release it until Dec 19. 11 days! Btw, the funds have already been deducted from my other account, meaning BofA has the money, they are choosing to sit on it for 11 days. In the past BofA held a check for 1 or 2 days. I've been a customer since 1994 have great credit, 2 BofA credit cards, no overdrafts, no late payments, etc. Called BofA 3 times! Spoke to supervisors Jasmine in Alabama was particularly unhelpful. I've never been treated like this by BofA but have heard many stories from others. Only thing I can do is close all my BofA accounts.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Over the past few years, I have had both preferred rewards and non-preferred rewards status. When I was PR they would do everything: return fees, expedite deposits, etc. Now that I am not PR they won't do crap. Today 12/12 I called in about a check deposit and they told me it would take a day to go through even though under $200 they generally give a courtesy credit. The Customer Service Agent told me that they do not do that and that it has to process. THIS IS VERY NOT TRUE. I told her I knew what I was saying and referenced internal policies I know. She eventually admitted that they take your balance into account when giving levels of service. Unbelievable. WORST BANK EVER.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I just got off the phone with rep name Paul, phone call took overall 15 mins and service from Paul about 7 mins. Originally I called through the Spanish line and there was no available representative to be able to assist me... I get transfer to the English line and encounter Paul. Paul was disrespectful, he interrupted me over 5 times in the middle of expressing my concerns. Did not let me finish any sentence without interruption. Rep started breathing hard making me aware that I was annoying him and basically I was a bother to him. He should definitely receive some training in applying Active Listening within his calls. I work as a CSV Rep myself and NEVER interrupt any of my customers. He was beyond rude and gave me a very hard time when I was told by another Rep (Spanish rep earlier today) that I didn't need to do what Paul was demanding out of me. He should really be fire. RUDEST PERSON I HAVE ENCOUNTER.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

In October 2018 I received an envelope in the postal mail from Bank of America about an annual notice for a prepaid debit card that had been sent to me this past year. I don't have any. Customer service, Justin, could not locate anything under my Social Security number so nothing could be done to find out where this card is and who sent it. It included a copy of their privacy notice. Here we are facing Christmas and I never received any Bank of America prepaid debit card.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Miscommunication between departments. These people are idiot, and useless. After so many years (6 years) working with them, they had zero respect for me. In August they asked for my driver's license info, and I went to bank personally to give them my new driver's license. After a week they closed my checking, and my car payment was returned and I had to pay fees for that, and I called them and asked why is that happening, they said they have not received my driver's license. I told them that they are stupid, and how come the banking center did not send them the driver's license. They said they are sorry and asked me to send it again by email. Then after 4 month, I realized they also closed my credit card because the credit department did not communicate with the rest of freaking B of A to get my driver's license.

I called them and asked them to reopen it after they got my driver's license. First the stupid guy said some nonsense that it is because of credit score and other stuff. I had to tell him that I have never heard any bank closes credit card based on credit score. Then he transferred me to “resolution person”. They said they can not reopen it, because this credit card is an old contract, that they don't have the same one anymore (the same APR, and etc). So they can not even re-open it. SO I have to pay for their stupidity. IN 2018 I had to send my driver's license 3 times.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Bank of America! My sister sent me a cashier's check for taking care of her cats while she was away so I went to the Bank of America on Dickson Street to cash it because it was drawn from the Bank of America. Apparently after standing in line for ten minutes I was informed that the branch manager would have to cash it for me because the tellers could not cash it. Well the Manager Willie ** told me I would have to wait until he was done eating his lunch. So I waited until he was done eating (about 25 mins) and asked him if he could cash the check. And he told me he was busy with something else and that I could wait or go to my own bank and cash the check! So I went back out to the lobby and about 15 minutes later the Manager Willie ** came out to the lobby and told me that it's not that I can't cash that check it's I don't want to! Go to your own bank!

I am a very nice person and for this guy to treat me that way is beyond me! It burn's me up!!! Needless to say my sister is calling the corporate offices and raising hell!!! I looked on Consumer Affairs and the Bank of America has the worst customer service I have ever seen!! Go there and see for yourself! www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/bofa.html. This man should be fired! I was pleasant and patient with this man and he was being a jerk to me! Do yourself a favor and close your account with them if you have one! Update! I went to my bank (Bank of Fayetteville) and went up to the teller, handed her the check and my driver's license and she cashed it right away! No wait or any attitude whatsoever!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This bank sucks. They are thieves and took 85 dollars from my bank account. They charge 25 dollars every month. That's 300 a year that they make off people with low or medium incomes. I called the bank asking about the 85 dollars and could not figure out what I was talking about.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I recently opened a Bank of America account and deposited a insurance check. Seemed like would be ok. Well then I received another check. I used their very flawed teller assist to deposit 41000 check. They told me I would have access to a portion of my funds 2 days later. Well upon depositing my check I got a receipt out of machine starting I would not have access to any of my funds for 10 days... Very crooked when US Bank said just call they would order the money and in a couple of days I could come in and get the cash.

Bank of America prides themselves on being veteran friendly. Nonsense. I am a disabled American veteran...who Bank of America refuses to honor my check from another financial institution saying it's in my best interest that they basically collect the interest on my 41000 check. Telling me I just dont understand it may be returned or be fake. Yet I have all documentation. I lived thru the fire and Bank of America refused to give check back or honor it. Keeping a disabled American veteran unable to access his money or pay his Bills while they collect my interest...and me and my family collect late fees and disconnect notices.

Their system with their teller assist is not very good. Flawed. They will tell you whatever they want to. They pride themselves on being veteran friendly but yet lie to you and steals the interest on your money trying to get you to believe it takes 7 to 10 business days to cash a check from State Farm Insurance drawn on a US Bank account. They should change their veteran friendly too. We rob our American veterans because we can.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

After the lobby wench harassed me to open an account, we spent an hour setting things up. 3 days later I had received an email stating my balance was below $25.00 which was not correct. I logged into the app to see a debit in the amount of -$888,888.83 which tied up the initial cash deposit that was made to open the account. I am informed that this is their code for fraud. Strangely enough there have been zero transactions on the account.

When I was directed to call the bank fraud dept the following day due to the different hours they keep, I was informed that the account was closed and given no reason, except that based upon the disclosure I signed, the bank could close my account for any reason. When queried about the statement, they simply repeated it... no reason whatsoever. Now they refuse to give me cash back and state that I must wait for 4-6 weeks to receive a check. Biggest crock of ** I have ever heard. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THESE CROOKS. I WISH I COULD RATE THEM ZERO STARS. B of ** is MORE APPROPRIATE.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I am beyond disgusted with this bank. I have a checking and savings account with them. I usually kept the minimum in the savings account just to keep the account open which I believe was $25. I just checked my savings account and noticed all these fees for the last few months. They said they raised the minimum to $500. I was outraged by this and they said I wasn't notified and they said it was in my statement. Honestly, do people read their statements Bank of America!! People should at the very least receive an e-mail alerting them that they have raised the minimum. Talk about sneaky and underhand!!! Millions of customers are oblivious to this and Bank of America is literally ripping them off. I asked them to refund my money and they only refunded 3 months worth of fees.

Then there was a charge on my card for a restaurant I have never been to. I disputed the charge and they said somebody had to have my pin number or somebody signed for the bill. As I knew nobody had the pin number, I requested a copy of the signature and they told me the merchant did not have to provide this. Bank of America refused to refund the charge. This week I noticed illegitimate charges on my account. I asked them to give me a new card and they asked me for $5. I refused to pay it. I am now on the hunt for a new bank. I'm so sick of being nickeled and dimed by them. I have my account twenty-something years and this is the way they treat you.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have had these accounts for 30 years now (going back to the old Barnett Bank days). Periodically I deposit large Cashier's Checks when moving CDs from 1 bank to another and there has never been a problem until this week. I deposited a large check expecting next day availability since it was a Cashier's Check drawn on another large bank. Having worked in the banking industry, I know for a FACT that these checks clear electronically overnight and the actual paper check gets scanned & never gets physically 'presented'.

The teller processed my deposit and informed me there was a 7 day hold, but could not explain why, neither would he return the check. I have made 3 attempts (1 phone & 2 email) to get the hold lifted, but emails are unanswered and all I got from the 'help center' was some drone who could do nothing other than read the script on her screen stating they had to wait for the check to clear, then that I had not made a large deposit in a while (like that matters), so they were going to hold it. She actually got snotty when I pointed out these checks clear overnight.

Horrible treatment for a long term customer with substantial accounts, squeaky clean history (never once overdrawn) and credit rating. On my way now to open new accounts with another bank so I can have it all in place when they finally release the hold on this check. I will be sweeping all my $$$ out of BOA and will never do business with them again! Net is these large national banks don't give a hoot about their customer base, you are much better off with a local bank that actually appreciates your business, deposits and appreciates their customers.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I am a US citizen living overseas and have maintained two checking accounts at BofA for fifteen years. Not long ago, a large sum of money from the sale of a house in China entered the account. We bought a new house in California, and I later wrote a large check on BofA to our private bank, as that account allowed larger sums of money to be wired through online banking versus the $5,000 that BofA allowed me. The large transactions brought up some questions, and they wrote me asking for more information about my identity, US citizenship and line of business. I provided all the information and sent it back.

Yesterday, I went online and found that the account in question was no longer listed. This morning I received an email saying that said account had less than $25 in it, and would I please fund it. I went to online banking to transfer funds from one account to the other, and said account was nowhere to be found. I called up and asked what gives. The person I eventually reached said that information had been requested of the joint account holder but was not provided. I said that the letter was addressed to me alone, and I had provided the requested information. She said that another letter had allegedly been sent to my wife, the joint account holder, but had gone unanswered. I pointed out that we had never received such letter. She replied that they had followed up by a phone call. I noted that we do not use our US cellphones while abroad in order to avoid roaming charges, but they have our email addresses and could have notified us by email.

She did not respond. I asked if she could send the forms requesting the information, preferably by email. She said they had closed the account. I asked if it could be reopened. No, it was closed. I asked what happened to the money in it. She said a check had been sent to our address abroad. I asked what happened if the check, like the additional questionnaire, did not arrive. She replied that after 90 days I could call this number again and sort it out with them. I asked if there was any chance of reopening the account. She said, no, I would have to open a new one. I assured her that I would open a new one. At another bank. This is how BofA treats its customers of 15 years. When I get back to the US, I plan to close the other account as well.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We had one of our cards cloned somehow. Somebody did 8 withdrawals from an ATM in Pasadena. Although we got a temporary credit back, all of a sudden, these amounts posted back into our account. Before they posted, they appeared “processing” for days. Of course this overdraft us and obviously, we got charged $35 per overdraft fees. $400 someone stole from our account plus $35 per transaction ($245 total). Their claims department also deemed that these withdrawals of money were accurate. So basically, they royally screwed us. ON TOP OF THAT, because of all this none sense, they didn’t honor my electronic payment of my rent, which additionally put us in the crapper with our landlord. This POS institution can go to hell for all I care. DO NOT BANK WITH THEM!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had a checking account with Bank of America. I moved to Salt Lake City because of job change and wanted to sell my stuff. Someone contacted me in response to my add and I sold the stuff. Because I had moved to Salt Lake city she sent me a cheque. I deposited and it came through as counterfeit. I informed this whole thing to bank along with the documents and contact details and our conversation. Bank of America closed my accounts and reported to ChexSystems when it was not at all my fault. They were rude and very unsupportive. I should have never banked with them. Would advise everyone never do banking with them.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

BOA is the biggest Rip off Bank for Consumers. They spend all of their time coming up with ways to charge more fees. Now they send images of your checks and then charge you a Service for doing it. The customer, like myself never signed up for this Service. It is just one more example where the BOA will rip you off at every chance that they can. I had to call BOA and first find out what this Service charge was for and then I had to cancel this unauthorized Service. What a RIP OFF Bank BOA is.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

One day I had money, the next day I was overdrawn. I had no way to anticipate the possibility that my money would be sequestered the way it has been. Because I erroneously deposited a check twice using their shoddy mobile app (I don't care what JD Powers says) I deposited a check. I didn’t get any confirmation that it went through and it being my first time using the service, it appeared as though it didn’t work. I came back to the ATM the following day and physically deposited the check. I made charges using the Google Play app but this was too unusual. These activities caused the bank to basically freeze and overdraw my account – without explanation.

Ridiculous hold times, no chat or email options to reach customer service. I’m helpless – how the hell could I possibly know what’s going on with my account with such scant information and access. I called twice in one day and get new info the 2nd time around… a “memo hold”? And they even tied up my direct deposit – I only earned that money. Wait I earned all of this money so why can’t I use it? Security? None of this is done on behalf of the customer so how is this supportive? Where’s the advocacy? They must be 'chomping at the bit' to charge me fees. Stay away from this bank especially in the south.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Bank of America is a racist establishment. Being ** filing a claim instead of being a victim you automatically become the suspect. I went to atm and I tried to do a withdraw $180. My money didn't come out so I walked in the bank teller to withdraw money and said that I just did an atm withdrawal from the atm. I told him nothing came out and he stated that the power went out for a slight second and to get my money back I have to file a claim, so I did and they told me I have to wait to the 14th of Dec to receive my cash back. Because I had claims before. It's not my problem that ** do shady **! People. Now I'm the one in question when their atm robbed me. ** BofA.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Use auto bill pay to pay constant accounts. Had bill pay set to make payments on the second of each month. For first time the system made a payment on the end of the month previous month instead of the second due to fact that second was a Sunday. In pass system had made this payment on the third, this time made payment on the Friday before causing 105.00 in bounce service fees. I have called and talked with service reps four times and tried to contact a supervisor and all they keep saying is system operated correctly. Not a true fact system just started operating this way. Did not get a call back from supervisor that I had asked for.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I've been on hold for over 1.5 hours trying to ask someone why they are blocking online purchases despite the fact that my account is up to date and has thousands of dollars available credit. Not the first time they've blocked online charges for no reason and left me wasting time on hold forever when I called to find out why.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

This is the 1st review I have ever written. Before the middle of Nov., I applied a Bank of America credit card online in order to shop for Thanksgivings. I did not receive the card and there were fraud transactions with the card. When I called the customer service hotline 1-800-421-2110 on different days, two times needed to hold over 15-20 minutes. One time even took over 1 hour and 45 min. So I just hung up and think I should write a review with my experience. I cannot believe this kind of poor customer service will happen with an American major bank. On Nov.19, when I called the bank to report that I had never received the card, I was told that they would investigate the fraud case and re-send me a new card. However, as of Dec.1, I still did not receive any of the BOA credit card.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

If I had the option to leave zero stars I would. Do not bank here if you want peace of mind you have access to your money. This bank is holding a PAYROLL check for 8 DAYS. I work for a larger company and I’ve also deposited several paychecks already. This is not a new check and I am not a new customer. I made an ATM deposit with the check and some cash on 11/27. I then proceeded to pay my bills given that our deposit slips indicate that there is an available balance right away but purchases will be covered from that date with full funds available the next day. This is totally normal and not a big deal. I paid my bills as I always do within the available balance, but I always make sure not to include the small amount they hold. I log in later the following day to find my account is in the negative.

Of course I was confused and alarmed but then I see a hold has been placed on my paycheck? I called immediately to find out what was happening and the result of the call was that I would need to call back the next day to see what was going on. They had enough to take my money from me but not enough to tell me why they did it. I call back as instructed and I am told that my PAYCHECK is an “at risk check” and it will take them 8 DAYS to make a phone call to the other bank verify the check.

The funds will not be released to me until December 5th. I said this was ridiculous and explained to them they’ve cashed these checks before, offered to help verify it myself, and they wouldn’t help AT ALL. They’ve also bounced payments that I made on my bills so there will fees assessed to my outside accounts that were affected. I chose Bank of America because it is national and I am not a local to the area. I can’t tell you how much I now regret that decision. Bank with someone who cares about their customers and their money.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have had 6 blocked purchases with no explanation as to why. I recently learned that they expect you to download their app and turn on location tracking so they know where you are 24/7. A total invasion of privacy and the only credit card asking the user to do this without blocking each purchase.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have been with B of A for many years and run hundreds of thousands of dollars through my accounts. I have noticed in the last year or two that the customer service is going downhill and fast. Today I moving money via check from US Bank to B of A. It was a large sum, so I spoke with the manager at US Bank on how to best accomplish this without a hold on the funds. He told me to have the manager at B of A call him when I presented the check to see if he could help authorize the funds faster than usual. The bank are across the street from each other and the managers know each other.

I presented at B of A and asked for the manager and she wouldn't even come out of the back room to meet me. She sent the guy back who greeted me at the door to tell me they don't do check authorizations with other banks and I would just have to take what the system proposed. I tried to explain to the guy... reportedly the financial services manager... my situation of needing some of funds sooner in order to pay off a loan and was basically treated like a criminal. He was rude and condescending. Whatever happened to good customer service? Now mind you, this is my branch that I deposit at least $10k to $12k an month into and they see me there almost weekly.

So basically, B of A is going to skim the interest off of my deposit for 7 days before releasing the funds for my use. In the meantime, I get to incur another month's worth of interest for not paying my other loan off in the next few days. For me this was the straw. It isn't even the hold on the funds that pushed me over the edge. It is that the 'manager' Sara wouldn't even come out to talk to me and that the financial services manager treated me like I was a POS off the street trying to fish the nickels out of fountain or something. We will be moving banks as soon as this check clears.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Why, why, why doesn’t BOA care about customer service? This Branch on Forest in Dallas constantly closes the motor bank, so here I am on a Friday once again standing in line for 30 minutes, only because I have to make this commercial deposit. I dropped this bank (BOA) along time ago as a personal bank, but now I have to come here because my job uses this bank. You would think they would have more than two tellers working, it’s Friday for God’s sake! Why is the motor bank closed down so much? What is wrong with BOA? I know BOA makes tons of money. After all they love to steal your house from you, remember 2008???? So get branches in building that have working motor banks would you? Sometimes I show up here and the whole branch is not open, during the week during what is supposed to be open hours. I hate BOA!!! Yeah, who doesn’t right? Wouldn’t give even one star if there was a choice.

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg