Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For two months, I have been having ongoing issues with identity theft. Bank of America makes it extremely difficult to do anything about it by putting you on hold for two hours. It's almost like they want you to give up and pay for the fraud yourself... The meth addict who stole my identity also locked me into a cellphone contract for three years, which will total $4,300 dollars. The only way I can escape this is if I file a police report. And I can only file a police report if BANK OF AMERICA SENDS ME THE GOD DAMN AFFIDAVIT ALREADY!!! They have refused to overnight me the affidavit, even though I found out later they can. They even tried to deny its existence. If the affidavit ever arrives, the camera footage showing the thief committing larceny will be long gone.

I wish I had placed my money elsewhere, so I can ignore the Bank of America fraud and just file the police report. Just not knowing what will happen to thousands of dollars, because BoA is worthless. Has been killing me. I have unimaginable amounts of stress. I am not an overeater and I barely drink, but I have been turning to excessive amounts of food and alcohol to try to manage my sanity. I have been having difficulty functioning because I am so worried. Given the rise of identity theft, I suggest you go to another bank. I put thousands of dollars into them and look at how their lack of responsiveness is destroying my life and health. You want a bank that gives you one answer and moves quickly during a crisis like this. BoA is never going to be that bank.

This bank is horrible!!! They closed my account with no warning. I just opened it. Had my direct deposit coming in days and they closed it. I called them. They were rude and said they would mail me my money back to me in ten days. Wtf!! I asked why my account was closed. They said because I wrote a damn check to myself from my other bank account and that is not a damn crime. I wanted to put money in my other account. This bank closed my account off of that stupid ass bank. I tell everyone never to go there!!!

Over the course of 5 months, so far, BOA has been unable to replace my debit card. The original card was canceled because the possibility that records at another business were compromised. I was sent an email and told that a replacement card was sent. I did not receive the card and after 3 trips to the bank I was only issued a temporary card each time. Each time I was assured that a replacement card was sent. Every time, the replacement did not arrive. The only reason this account is active now is because it is the only one with my deceased wife's name on it.

I've been having sickening customer service with Bank of America over the years so I decided to place take all of my money out of my account and transfer it to another account. 69 cents were left on my account. I did this to prevent overdraft fees and so on. LO AND BEHOLD a transaction from a previous month was now in "processing" and therefore overdrawing my account. On top of that my debit card was stolen and an unauthorized purchase was made which led to further over drafting.

Now one of the main reasons I was cancelling my account is because it doesn't matter how many times I state or select the option of not overdrawing my account. When there is no cash the cash still gets overdrawn. I'm done with this Bank. They're forcing me to pay about 202 dollars for things that I didn't buy even though I promptly reported my card stolen. I'm a struggling college student. $202 is a matter of life or death for me.

I checked my account yesterday and it said I had 75$ left to my name so I went and bought groceries spending 30$. Tell me why today it shows me negative 10$ with a 35$ overdraft fee putting me 45$ negative? When I then looked at my online banking every single one of my purchases for the past week (all of which were debit purchases... not on credit) hit all at once and were not being taken from the account leaving me to believe I still had cash even though it was already spent!!! The bank is intentionally doing this and I am canceling my account and going to Arrowhead Credit Union.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

I am a preferred customer and I had taken a promotion on Dec 2017 which is supposed to end on April 2018 as per the banker near my location. He told me no interest will be charged for the remaining balance until April 2018. I was very happy until when recently checked my statement and saw since last 3 months I have been charged $160 interest. I was shocked for see $500 credit added since last 3 months due to interest charged. I waited on call for customer rep for 30 mins. What's the use of being preferred customer? In fact later after fussing about the issue to Juan & Jose from Texas card services on 15th July for 1 hour, they said me to call another department and get the issue resolved. They cannot help me with anything? Not file a complaint or anything? Can you believe that? This is not good customer experience. I will rather close my account with such bad experience.

I did lose my Mastercard. I try to call 24-hour report for stolen card. I did waiting on hold. After 1 h 1/2 they transfer me for another line for 1/2 an hour. They did not do the job done. Next day I try to call again. I have to wait for more than 2 hour. Someone pick up the phone then they hang up. Someone think I do the business with Bank of America.

This is worse bank I have ever seen. I have been transferred 5 times and been waiting for the correct dept for 1 hour 45 min so far. Each person that answers ask same questions and then transfers me. Most unhelpful bank. And only way to contact corporate is thru mail. And dept I need they have to transfer me to that dept. Why cant they give me one person to deal with my issue.

I recently had to do a bank verification from a external savings account to my BOA checking and immediately took it out, which caused my BOA to be overdrawn by 45 cents in total. BANK OF AMERICA CHARGED ME 105.00 in overdraft fees, 35.00 for each transaction plus 35.00 for not making a deposit in over five days, it is ridiculous. I am closing my accounts within the next 48 hrs.

Best Buy canceled the order and refunded in 6 minutes when I realized that the item was back ordered. Best Buy provided me the authorization number and every detail. It has been 3 days and BOFA is telling me bedtime stories. This bank is the worst bank ever. No wonder why they got in trouble. I will never use their debit card for online purchases. BE AWARE! They hate you and they will not help you. They hold the money so they can use financing other people and we have no right besides waiting.

Bank of America continues to not pay my checks saying that they look fraudulent due to the signature. All the signatures look the same. They provide no evidence of this. They provide no method to remedy the situation and provide no refund for the costs that other banks charge customers. They have very poor consumer relationships.

I started using Bank of America when it was still Bay Bank 24 years ago and this was my first bank account. Up until last year the service was great and I was a preferred customer. I always enjoyed talking with customer service reps despite the long wait times and felt they were always considerate and pleasant. I was always happy to write glowing reviews about customer service and often participated in their surveys.

Everything change this year and I am not quite sure what is going on but the customer service hit rock bottom. The wait time when I call is often almost an hour only to be transferred multiple times to unpleasant and rude associates. When I finally couldn't stand it and wrote a complaint to the bank I received a call from the "president's office" and a lady who identified as someone who works for the "president" of the bank was rude and condescending as well...

I am finally and thankfully switching over to another bank after 24 years of doing business with them because of unproperly trained the staff at Bank of America is driving away customers. Not sure what is going on with them internally but if you prefer high fees, no customer appreciation, nasty service and unknowledgeable staff this is your bank!

So they shut down the drive thru forcing everyone inside. So the person waiting to pounce at the front can try to sell you something you don't want or need. Before you step in line to wait while an understaffed counter gets crushed. Consistently waiting 20-25 minutes during the slow hours. Absolutely ridiculous, I will NEVER bank with this piss poor organization.

I am a 15-year, BOA customer. I called BOA on July 5th, after viewing my checking account online, and seeing two cleared "checks" that were never written by me. The fraudulent checks totaled $894.98! So I called BOA to dispute the fraud. A BOA representative recommended that I close the account and start a new account, to prevent more fraud under my long-used checking account number. So I complied, only to STILL be living a nightmare! It is now two days later, and I still see wrong amounts in both my old checking and my newly opened checking accounts. I see no record of a more than $10,000 deposit that was cleared before the fraud occurred. My paycheck is not showing as being directly deposited today. A canceled $6,000 transfer to another bank is showing up on my checking ledger, although it never happened! And I am stuck depending only upon my own, manual ledger to see how much money I really do have!

BOA keeps claiming they are working to set my accounts straight, but why is it taking so long? And why can't I get live people who can give me consistent, factual information? I am now on hold (20 minutes now). But I will hang up soon, since I must proceed with my day, despite the financial mess. Later today, I will have to seek out a new, reliable bank!

Apparently they will charge overdraft fees on transactions that are pending on your account and don't give you ample time the following morning to replenish those funds without being hit with a fee. I go to sleep with a positive balance account and wake up in the negative. The transaction had cleared in the wee hours of the morning. How am I supposed to know, when the banking app doesn't alert me until 9 hours later? Called 5 different times and they refused to refund the fee, even though I haven't asked to be refunded at all this year. I ended up closing the account. Got charged an overdraft fee of $12 for being short of a $2 tip. America is run by greedy corporations!

Bank of America makes it IMPOSSIBLE to speak to a reliable human to get the most simple tasks accomplished! I've used the automated system - to no avail, as I continue to have last feed taken from my account AFTER my money is auto-drafted!! The IVR cuts me off, regardless of the number I dial!! When I finally do reach someone, they cannot help me!! I guess everyone time is of ZERO VALUE to BOA decision makers!! Horrible Customer Service, changing banks is the best solution! Never have I experienced such!

Bank of America charged me $35 for an overdraft fee and then charged me an extended overdraft fee after I had put the money in my account. I believe this is unfair. People are trying and I think you should be more understandable. That is $70 which I do not have and what makes it worse I actually put the money in my account before I was charged the extended overdraft fee. I am about to close my account with them because of this experience.

My husband and I decided to share the same account, so I went to the local Bank of America to order a debit card with his acct number, but with my name. The lady was helpful and also gave me a temporary debit card to use. The teller "activated" it and sent me on my way. I go to a store to use it and it says "declined". I try to run it as credit and it says "declined". I try to check the inquiry at the ATM and it says unauthorized action. I let it slide since it was just a temporary...

I get my new card in the mail, I activate it on the BoA app. I try to use it at a store and it says declined, utterly embarrassed I tell them to hold my things. I call customer service and the lady "fixed" the problem and "linked" my acct. I go back into the store and it says "declined" again. Needless to say, BoA has been withholding my money for 2 weeks now. I have had doctors' appointments and prescriptions to pay for. I have needed to get gas and groceries as well, but I have no way to get to my money when the cards continuously say "declined" or "unauthorized". I do not recommend this bank, they are uneducated and unprofessional. Plus the "maintenance fees" they pull on you is ridiculous as well.

A month ago I deposited a check for $5000, it cleared. I have been spending MY money for a month, today they put a block on my account for "suspicious activity". I called them to verify I made the purchase in question they informed me that they where placing a 24 hour hold on my account because of a suspicious check I deposited which I have been drawing on for a month. Mind you, they contacted my mother that wrote me the check as a wedding gift to see if I forged the check that CLEARED a month ago!!! Of course she confirmed that she wrote the check and they proceeded to ask why she wrote me that check! Wtf my bank should mind its own business and work for me not question my business. No explanation, no courtesy call to let me know I could no access MY money. Closing that account as soon as they open in the morning. Bank elsewhere. Do you self a huge favor.

Opened a small business account recently with BoA. The bank failed to notify me that some "hold" would be placed on new accounts that are less than 30 days old??? Did not realize the "hold" existed until I deposited a $5500 check and attempted to use my debit card a week after depositing the check. I was not able to access my money even though the person who wrote the check confirmed that the money had been withdrawn from their end.

I called the branch where I opened the account four times and was placed on hold for over 45 minutes each time. I literally walked into the bank while being placed on hold for the 5th time and showed them I was on hold. They told me they could not provide access to my funds as my account was new, and that the check needed to be cleared. I showed them an email from the check writer showing verification that the funds had been withdrawn from their account, but BoA insisted on withholding my money and charging me overdraft fees on the transactions I had made after depositing the $5500 check. They informed me my money would be available on 6/26/17.

On 6/27/17 when I went to deposit another check at the ATM, the receipt following my deposit, showed that the funds from the initial $5500 deposit were still not available and I had been charged more overdraft fees!!! I was livid and when I called customer services, no one could explain why my money was still not available after 6/26/17. I have a business account with BoA and their pathetic banking practices have been beyond inconveniencing for my work. In addition, their customer service is a joke. Someone really needs to do something about this bank.

First off I would like to say I have done business with this branch for years. Last Thursday I brought my 78 year old dad in to close out an account for a deceased relative. We waited almost a hour before we could see a banker. Even then the process took another hour. During this time while I was waiting there seemed to be mass confusion with the greeter and some tall ** guy running around in a suit. I watch my dad in an office with a female banker and he looked really stressed. I got up to see what the problem was and he said he had to use the restroom. Now remember he is 78 and has been here almost two hours! The female banker kept telling him they did not have a restroom! He was pleading! She kept say "No public facilities!" Needless to say he had an accident on the way to the car. I will never forgive Bank of America and the Howell Mill branch for putting my father through this.

I deposited a $5000 check written on my old bank account which is still active in my old state (Maine) on June 17th and deposited into my new BOA checking account. When I did the deposit slip indicated that $2000 of it would be immediately available for use and $3000 would be placed on hold until 06/21. Very reasonable for an out of state check. I went to start to pay my July bills this past weekend and found they (BOA) had placed another hold on the entire $5000 on 06/22. I confirmed with my previous bank that the check cleared (which in my mind means they SENT THE FUNDS). I called BOA today (06/26/17) and was told that another hold was placed on it because they hadn't received all of the funds. I confirmed that my old bank had processed and cleared the check last Wednesday (06/21/17) so that means they (BOA) have had my money since then and they have been making money off it and keeping it from my use.

I came right out and asked the representative if BANK OF AMERICA WOULD BE PAYING FOR MY RENT, UTILITIES AND OTHER BILLS SINCE THEY WERE HOLDING MY MONEY THAT WAS MARKED FOR THESE BILLS. She said no. I purposely deposited this check in time to ensure that funds would be available to use for my July bills as I am just moving to a new area. I needed to establish with a local bank and unfortunately BOA was the only national bank that was in both locations. If this was the type of service that I could have expected I would have NEVER chosen these money grubbers. They are beginning to be a lot like Wells Fargo. I will be forced to consolidate some credit cards and pay bills on credit cards until this gets resolved. BANK OF AMERICA JUST HIT ME WHERE IT HURTS -- MY CREDIT RATING... THANKS A LOT.

I have had Bank of America for 4 years now. I do not know what has happened in the last year but seriously, they have manipulated my account to where I have overdraft fees every single month. There will be money in my account and they will hold back items until my balance is low and then send them through and charge $35. That's just one of the examples. There are so many ways that they rearrange your transactions that are going through. Let's say you have a balance of X amount of dollars. You make a purchase, then on your banking app it will deduct the money and tell you your new available balance. Well, that's where it should end, right? WRONG!

When you continue to make transactions according to your "available balance" all of a sudden you start going into the negative a couple or three days later. That's because they will hold one of those transactions back and say it was PENDING. Then when it doesn't go through for a couple more days they say it was PROCESSING. Then when it goes through a couple days later than that, they say it was POSTING!! ALL THE TIME NONE OF THIS SHOWS. You are going off of your available balance which is x-y= z. WHAT? You use your debit card for that reason. To keep it simple. I will repeat x-y=z. End of story.

THERE SHOULD BE NO PENDING, PROCESSING, POSTING strung out over 5 days! Within time the next thing you know you are charged $35 in overdraft fees. It is a TOTAL SCAM. I mean a 10 year old could see and figure this out. SHAME ON YOU BANK OF AMERICA! How pitiful you have become! MORAL OF STORY: I would never never never bank with this ripoff scamming institution again! I'm going to close my accounts tomorrow and be done with it. I'm just letting you all know... BEWARE of Bank of America!!!

I have been a BOA customer for years. I closed my accounts today, when I contacted BOA regarding $35 charges including a $35 "extended overdraft fee." The overdraft charges were for debits for less than $3. Yes. three dollars. And BOA charged $35 fee AND returned the item, and THEN charged a $35 "extended overdraft fee."

This is a direct deposit account that has been opened for YEARS. A portion of my pay goes there, and it was easily ascertainable that the account was going to be replenished on a schedule. I called to ask for ONE charge to PLEASE be waived. The answer was, "No, nothing we can do." This was the same answer I got when I went in person to the branch.

There is absolutely no concern or care for customers, and I am appalled at the blithe way the customer "service" people are giddily happy to take people's orders to close their accounts and never come back. They were very helpful with that. I'll get my close-out check in two weeks, maybe, and I will never, ever, ever set foot in a Bank of America again.

I called to check on the authenticity of a check I received. The customer service representative told me it has cleared their fraud department and that I could use the funds safely. The check ended up being fraudulent and BOA took no steps to reimburse me. I am in the process of cancellation of my accounts. Do not use this bank. Remember their involvement with the housing bailout. Misinformation cost me $2,700.

I called 4 times and given different numbers. Each call required at least 10-15 min. wait time. I am on call #4 and have been on hold for over 15 minutes. I just got someone to answer only to be told I need to call another number. Now waiting again. My call is in regards to an auto payment from my savings account to my mortgage loan. The most recent transaction per my online statement was made on June 19, 2017 for $265.97. The house was sold and closed on June 16, 2017. A representative named Madeline was finally able to clarify and provide me with the information I needed. Kudos to her, but why did it take 1 hr of my time to get this information??? Why couldn't I place an inquiry via my online account about this??? This experience doesn't even garner one star.

Consumer Increased Rating!

People should short the stock for sure, whomever wrote the tech software for the company should not be there anymore. The website and its counterpart for the debit card is very discriminatory and always having problems.

Have traveled abroad and twice on the same trip, been declined at ATMs despite having put a travel alert on my account. When contacting the bank - I keep having to sit on the phone for 20-30 minutes to wait on a customer service person to answer. Apparently the bank is always experiences higher call volumes than are typical as I have called multiple times. If you are going to have that much security on a card you need to staff up your call lines to help customers quicker as they may be somewhat stranded in a country while you try to save money by not hiring enough team members to address the issues. Another thought is to allow customers to clear fraud alerts on your website and not even make me call someone. What are the chances I am going to have both lost my debit card and happened to give out my online banking information for fun. I am thinking of switching banks - though not sure if any other banks will be better.

I open an account with Bank of America with motorcycle accident check of $15.00. After two months I notice my balance was going down way too fast and that something was not right. $4000 dollars went missing from my account. I called and they told me that they were going to fix it. Never did. What they did was lie and closed my account.

Opened an account online. Said I was approved within 5 minutes of applying for a basic checking account. Deposited a government check that night via photo. Three days later my account was closed. I called the technical support. The technician basically stated that in my agreement I said they are allowed to close my account for any reason whatsoever without giving a reason. I politely hung up. They are mailing me a cashier’s check for the amount pending. Just put a bad taste in my mouth. I would have liked to have known why they found me not a good fit for their bank. The technicians however were very polite and professional and that is why I gave it two stars.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.
  • Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.
  • Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.
  • Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.
  • Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.
  • Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.
  • Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.
  • Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.
  • Best for Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions