1.21/5

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4162 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have two Bank of America Cards and have my house financed through them. One time I am late with a payment by 3 days and they can't drop the late fee. I've never had any problems with other credit card companies dropping a late fee the very first time you are late especially when you have been with them for so many years! Obviously they do not appreciate their good customers. I will pay this card off ASAP and close my accounts with them!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It is hard to resolve anything when 99% of the agents have no idea what they are talking about. They just spit out whatever comes to mind. You can call 10 times and get 10 different answers to the same question. What a waste of time. Then there is the blatant defensive rudeness and denial. Definitely low class and not where you want your money or anything for that matter. CHASE has 100x better service.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

After receiving an approval letter stating I was approved for an auto loan, I went to the dealer and the dealer submitted all paperwork on a Thursday, that same day the purchase request went to the underwriting team where it sat for 5 days. No one in the customer service was able to get me an answer on why it was taking so long nor have a point of contact for the supervisor of the underwriting team. This has been the longest I've been on trying to purchase a car (*going on day #6 and no answer yet). I should have gone with USAA despite their high rates, their customer service is always on point and responsible. Bank of America is the true definition of incompetence and procrastination.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I have 2 checking account and a savings account. My children have student accounts. One account was incurring fees due to some change they did made, I called in and they were able to fix it for me. Then my other checking account that was not incurring any fees, again they changed something and notified through letter that even though I have two separate direct deposited of $217 depositing every month since it wasn't a single transaction of $250 or more they would charge me. So to abide I have my payroll slip my check into 2 separate accounts to avoid fees, Now, the final straw is my savings account. Before as long as I have $100 there was no fee. Now they raised the "daily" min in order to avoid fees. I have enough daily things to have to worry about than to have to worry about my bank finding ways to steal my money. What a disappointment.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I was looking for an email for pet medication and noticed an email from Bank of America, letting me know my bill was ready. Since I paid my cc balance in full on 02/01/2019, I figured it had to be a mistake and almost blew it off. No, not a mistake, they charged me a minimum interest charge on an account with a zero balance.

I called, and after a 42 minute wait, I was told it was because when an online payment failed to go through months earlier and the next payment I had made was only my regular $200. I may have paid $200 or more a month, but my payments were only $25 a month. So either B of A charges you to pay off credit cards early, of they wont admit when they make mistakes. I had already paid for their website failure months before, now they use the same excuse to charge more. Granted it was only 1.50, but do that to millions of customers. The late fees and charges for a bill I didn't know existed, would have financially ruined me. They also put my good credit at risk, again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Bank of America deemed it necessary to close my credit card account that was opened three months ago. I've made every payment in the short history of that opened account. I didn't know they can review your credit without notice and close accounts as they see fit. My credit history is not great but in the high 600's as I write this. There was no contact with me prior to them pulling my credit again and then closing my account. I was blown away when I received the letter explaining my account was closed. I have never used Bank of America before and after this incident my family and I will never use them in the future. Chase is a much better bank to use. I hope this helps anyone deciding if they should apply for anything with Bank of America. What a shame.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Customer care? More like screw the customer. I spoke to 3 representatives, and neither one was helpful. They speak to you like you’re an idiot. Not once was I able to speak to a supervisor. First they charged me $35 overdraft fee for being $3 shy on my account, then 2 days later they charged me another $35 overdraft fee, even though I had the funds in my account. Tried to get an explanation, and the woman told me the mobile app is inaccurate, and I need to use online banking. I’ve used their app for many years, I’ve been a Bank of America customer for 12 years.

When asked to speak to a supervisor, the first rep told me she’s helping others, to which I agreed to wait on hold. After 10 minutes of hold she refused to get a supervisor on the line. The last rep didn’t even try, she said, "I can’t get you a supervisor," so she scheduled a call back in 3-6 business days. Throughout the years I’ve learned that they are allowed to refund one overdraft fee a year per account. Neither of the reps honored this. I’ll be changing banks. Not ok to treat people this way. I’m in customer service myself and I try every day to put a smile on someone’s face. They should be ashamed of themselves and their customer care skills.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My RV Loan is with Bank of America (had no choice) and I'm only 1 month in and I have now had to call over 5 times and have been on hold for over 30 min every time I call. All I wanted was for the auto pay to work. I had been told that they were able to get the payment, they didn't. As my due date approached they still didn't take the money so I called again and was told to make a payment online because the gal couldn't do it over the phone and she would cancel the auto pay just in case. I did that then nothing. Called back and was told it was in process. 2 days...nothing. Called again and she took payment by the phone and said she canceled the others. Take to 2 days later and they have taken 3 payments out of my account. They are the stupidest ** people and company! I'm currently on hold and am 20 min in and counting... Wish me luck!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Bank of America (BofA) sent me a promotional check to use and I have used one to pay my monthly rent. BofA emailed me that they feel that this was suspicious activity. I personally called in to verify that this check is legitimate and the agent confirmed that the hold will be released. They rejected the check later and now I am facing Late fee of $50 plus NSF fee of $25. On top of that, I was served 3 day eviction notice.

Also I need to make all future rent payments by Cashier's check or money order. The fraud department keep saying that they are not responsible for this consequence because they have sent me to confirm "Again" by email which I did not receive. The fraud department is a joke. All the people in fraud department is just repeating all the directions from their book. They are not going to help you at all if you have problems which happened by their mistake.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have been with Bank of America for 7-8 years and nothing has happened to me like this. I had my tax money going go into an account that was overdrawn for a while. I transferred money to my active account. What I didn't know was that they froze the overdrawn account as inactive on the same day so overnight, they transferred it back from my active account to the old account. To make a long story short. I spent money yesterday so now my main account is overdrawn. My paycheck from my job hits tomorrow into the active account that is overdrawn So my paycheck will be swallowed up. I am completely drop dead broke till weeds. I explained my dire straits and they explained what was happening but it is still unacceptable. When I explained my situation they said Sorry and asked if there was anything else they can do. I am done at this bank and I am closing my accounts. I warn anyone not to bank with them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Went to this branch today to deposit my loose change. I was told they do not accept any more. Loose change needs to be rolled. I asked why and when. Oh we have notices here as she shows me a 2 inch x 4 inch notice on one of the desks. Throws it in my face with a smug look and being rude. Also says it needs to be rolled again like I didn't hear her the first time. I have been with this bank for 15 years and never have been treated with such rudeness. I have seen a steady decline in Customer Service at this Branch over the last 2 years. Also all new management changes a few times. I think it is time for a change!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

After a life change and severely reduced income, my Bank of America mortgage was sold to Bayview Loan Servicing because I could not make the payments. It took 2 years, but I was successful at obtaining a modification. They serviced my loan for 2 years without incident and then my loan went back to Bank of America. It has been a nightmare ever since. Instead of reevaluating my loan payment upon receiving the loan, they waited and one day I received a letter stating my payment had increased by $800 a month due to an escrow shortage. This is partially due to both banks having paid my insurance, which I discovered myself. Bank of America was clueless. Also there was a tax increase, which amounted to under $200 a month on a yearly basis. I received as much help as Bayview could give me given my loan was closed. I have no complaints with them.

I have haggled with Bank of America for 4 months now and have not been helped. On my own, I obtained a refund of the duplicate insurance payment and gave that directly to Bank of America. I was then told I was approximately $4700 short on my escrow account and not given any options to pay that, other than to increase my payment by $800 a month or to pay the $4700 in full to them. Now mind you, Bayview Loan Servicing had identified the same nearly $5000 escrow shortage and had increased my payment on a 60 month option to cover the shortage, so my monthly payment only increased slightly. At the time, they had presented to me to pay the amount in full, or 2 or 3 other options. Operative word being "options".

Bank of America then decided they needed to charge me again for the same shortage that I was already paying for. And again, the 2 options I was presented were to pay the $4700 in full or to increase my monthly payment by $800. I asked for an escrow review, which took months to accomplish. I kept receiving letters asking for the huge increased payment. Then I started receiving letters with different amounts due. It was crazy. And in the meantime, I discovered that my payments, which I was making monthly in the originally prescribed amount, and then in amounts that they specified, were not being credited. I had been given the OK to make that payment amount until the escrow account was analyzed and straightened out. However, that is not what happened.

Now I am getting pre-foreclosure letters. My credit score took a nosedive. And Bank of America says they cannot do anything because I did not make the higher payment. And NOW they tell me I should have been offered some options, but that they cannot go back and do anything nor can they do anything about the credit reporting because, after all, I did not make the huge increased payment that included money I was already paying towards in my previous payment.

Today in talking with the rep, I told her I felt like burning down my house, taking the insurance money and paying off Bank of America, and getting a loan with somebody else. There is no help. The hard work I did for the modification and to increase my credit score almost 200 points was for nothing. Why bother to make your payment on time when they don't care and won't fix their own mistakes? If this was the only option for a mortgage, I would rent. Do not ever get involved with this company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I am a retired person on a fixed income and about six months ago, a check that I had written to a charitable organization was stolen before reaching the recipient. The "Pay To line" and the signature were forged and it was cashed at a non-BOA bank. Instead of being an advocate for me in this situation and expediting a claim on my behalf, I have been waiting for 81 business. While this may not be the simplest of matters, it's also not very complicated. Every call to check on the progress has been met with excuses about how it can take up to 126 business days. If this is the best they can do to help a 30-year valued "Gold" customer, I feel sorry for those who do not have this status.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

So I opened an account on November 2018 and a few days later the bank decided to close my account. I still had (have) money on the account so they told me they will send a check to the address linked, I never received the check and after a thousands of visit to the bank the only answer I got was that I needed to prove that the check I deposit was made for me, when that check have my name printed very clearly. One thing I am sure of is that the Bank of America will not keep my money, I will do everything that is on my hands to get that money back.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I will never, ever use Bank of America in any form or fashion again! I have tried on three occasions to have a payment withdrawn over the last three months. All three months our $800.00 has not pulled and processed. Today, I was transferred five times and on hold for over two hours and still do not have an answer to my problem. It seems there is no one that knows how to resolve my online payment issue. Tonight I finally got someone through online banking/troubleshooting (Brian from NY) and he was able to assist me within 20 minutes. I do realize that even though I was told by every representative that they were sorry for the inconvenience - they really were glad to transfer me. Not that it matters, but I am the superintendent of a large school district in Dallas area with over 3000 employees. I will gladly refer any banking institute with the exception of Bank of America to anyone in my district.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Offer of service and support. Most times on phone for a minimum of 40- 60 minutes before anyone answers and they have the don't care attitude. Nothing seems to work as stated in their brochures. Going back to visa Capital One, real credit card copy.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Months after I got probate court authorization for the release of $500 left by my deceased father I still waiting for a response. I have gone to two branches so far. They made me to open an account where they will supposedly deposit the $500. After receiving a letter that I will be contacted by the bank still waiting. But not only that: BOA is charging my account monthly charge. I will pay $75 fee and go through the hazards to the court for a small claim. Perhaps they will spend thousands to their attorney.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have been a loyal customer of Bank of America for almost 20 years. 4 weeks ago I was asked to update my credentials by BOA. Subsequently both checking and savings account were closed together with my 2 credit cards. Trying to get a meaningful explanation was both exasperating and hopeless. What I have only been able to determine is that it was a “business decision”.

If this is how they treat long term customers and cannot provide a better explanation I would appeal to any future and potential customers to not consider doing business with such an arrogant organization. The only creditable employee in this affair is my branch manager. He explained that these decisions were made at a corporate level and he also would be unable to obtain a more meaningful explanation. Apparently due to the nature of my employment, including international business travel, I have activated an algorithm that is labeling me a money launderer, terrorist, or drug dealer.

If it were possible to clarify matters then the situation would be more tenable. However Bank of America should be rebranded as Bank of Don’t give a Hoot or Bank of Corporate America (... and regular folk don’t bother us). Bottom line: there are much better banks to deal with. Do your homework and give these guys a wide, wide berth. Good Luck.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have been a member of this bank for 11 years. In that time my account was hacked 3 times. I've most recently deposited $6000 dollars in money orders and cashier's checks that they have held for 12 days. I have complained and they told me "Frank" whoever he is would call me back in 24 to 72 hrs about my complaint. He was supposed to be in meetings all day. It's been a week. Money still on hold and I'm stuck out of town with no money. ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED when I finally get "my" money. Horrible business. More happened but not enough space to write.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I was approved for a $12,000.00 on my credit card and I was happy but I just recently check my balance online and Bank of America decided to lower my approved amount to $8,200.00 without any kind of communication to me! I called their Manager and she cannot explain to me what happened and she said I'll be getting a letter from mail to explain?! As of today Feb. 8, 2019 I haven't received any letter from Bank of America!

Here's my issue with Bank of America on what happened to me. 1.) Communications- Piece of ** Bank of America didn't even bother giving me a call and informed me that my approved credit card has been lowered. 2.) False Advertisement- Again Piece of ** Bank of America did not even committing on their customer to get what they are approved for! 3.) Customer Service- What ** Bank of America did to me is a disservice to its loyal customer, more like a slap in the face! I was paying my monthly dues on time. Never was late and I'm paying 10X more of what is my monthly payment amounts is! I don't understand why do they have to lower my approved credit line even though I was paying on time and paying more on what I owe?

So anybody from Bank of America can please respond to this matter and explain to me what's the reason for lowering my credit card amount without even informing your customer??? I would never recommend Bank of America because I experience the most horrific customer service in my entire life!!! Don't do business with Bank of America because they will ** you over even when you're paying your monthly dues for no reason!! I'll be reporting this company to BBB for their false advertisement and hopefully this review will help new customers to rethink if they want to be a part of a company who doesn't give a ** about their customers! Another big greedy ** corporate who just want your ** money and doesn't provide customer service!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I've had an account with Bank of America for over 10 years and have never overdrafted my account once. I recently had to make a payment that would put me in the red for a few hours before my direct deposit hit at midnight of the following day. They charged me a fee and would not give me a one-time courtesy and had no care in the world of retaining me as a client. I will be taking my money to another bank. Worst customer service ever!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

If you deposit your first check from a school district in a Bank of America account they will hold it for 9 days. Any automatic bill payments that are set up will be returned because they will not acknowledge the school districts funds for 9 days. You will be charged $35 per return fee. Bank of America can get funds from local transactions cleared in less than 48 hours. Yet they continue to disservice their customers by holding their paychecks stating it takes 9 days to get checks to clear. Nothing takes 9 days to get cleared in this technology driven economy!!! It’s the letter cal school district and teachers who work for them!!! Use your credit union!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I would rate Bank of America 0, as the customer experience has been awful. After waiting over 45 minutes and consistently receiving no solution to my issues, I see no reason to conduct business with this bank. With a credit score of over 800, I am grateful to have so many other options.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Last month on 1/11 BOA texted me about a potential fraudulent charge on my CC. Per the text, I filed the fraudulent charge claim through their mobile app and a few days later the charge was removed from my account. I assumed that was the end of it. Today, the charge is back on my account. After an hour on the phone (and speaking to 4 different reps), I was told that a letter was sent out 11 days ago saying that after investigating, my claim was denied and the claim department is closed. I need to call back during regular business hours to find out why they denied the claim. The mystery letter was not available for review online, which per my settings it should.

I did some research on the company who initiated the charge and they sell meat direct to restaurants and caterers in California. I live in NY and have only been to CA once when I was 4. BOA never contacted me during their investigation. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. I’ve been a cardholder for 24 years and this is how they treat their loyal customers!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have been a customer of BoA for several years, and I had checking account and a credit card with them. My parents are visiting me from third world country for a few months every year. While they are here, they work at McDonald's and using BoA checking account for direct deposit. When they opened the account, the offer was that if in the next three months they get certain amount from direct deposits, they will receive $300 bonus. Three months later my parents go to the grocery store to buy milk and bread, and neither of their debit cards work. I was in another city planning and having a funeral for my mother in law who recently died, and I was unable to help them.

My parents speak very limited English; however, after spending two hours on the phone with BoA, they were able to find someone who speaks the same language (which was a great thing). The response was: "BoA chose to close their account and they will EVENTUALLY receive the cashier check after the investigation is over. There is no actual time frame and they cannot answer why the bank made such decision. Also, they will not be able to open another account either."

The next morning I spent about an hour on the phone with the BoA customer service, being bounced among 5 different representatives that could not answer me why the account is closed and why my parents cannot get their funds? Finally Norma from the closure department answered: "It was the bank's decision, and at some point after the investigation they will be getting the cashier check" ...Sounds familiar, huh? The only problem is, my parents are traveling back home and these are the only funds they are counting on to survive over there!

My husband could not listen to this ** anymore and yelled back "What is there to investigate? Several direct deposits from McDonald's and less than two grands?" We asked for Norma's supervisor, and that was a hassle! Finally she spoke to her supervisor, Ashley, herself and they ALLOWED us to withdraw all their funds the NEXT day ONLY! And so I did, as well as I chose to close my other accounts and credit card with them, as I don't know at what other most tragic and inconvenient moment this bank will "chose" to screw me over.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Beware of swiping your card places where scammers can get all your information. A lot of times you would have no idea where this can happen. Well, this happened to me where the culprit withdrew $1500 from my account. Thankfully BOA blocked further transactions, when they attempted a few more times. Despite atm video camera footage that proves I wasn't at the ATM, BOA claims I authorized someone else to use my card. So now I'm down $1500. This was their excuse for me, they're going to keep using this to everyone else who are victim of fraud. I'm closing my account and advertising this to everyone via social media and local news station.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My husband and I have been Bank of America customers for 15 years and they never fail to disappoint! This is the bank that loves to give you tons of credit and then they fee you to death, cut your available credit without notice and trick you into using their "delayed interest" checks just to enable them to up your fees and charges even more. We are on our last straw with them and are closing the last (of three different) accounts. I have never worked with a more sneaky, immoral, unethical bunch of people and hope to never again.

Bank of America has been like the "frenemy" who "helps you to your face" and then undermines you behind the scenes, unbeknownst to you, until you are slapped in the face with their betrayal. If you value your money, time and sanity, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH BANK OF AMERICA! You will regret it! Instead, check out Citibank, Capital One or PNC. We do business with all of them (since gutting our BOA accounts) and they actually appreciate their customers and don't set out from the beginning to make life as difficult as possible like lying, cheating, POS Bank of America does. If there had been a choice of ZERO Stars, that's what I would rate Bank of America.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have been with BOA for 5 years. I recently deposited a check from the same employer. I never have had an issue with the employer's check. However, BOA decided it was a good idea to put a hold on the check for 10 days. I have several payments to make. It's been a headache dealing with this bank. All my other co-workers had no problem depositing their checks. So I know it has nothing to do with my employer. I hate that no one from the company whether over the phone or in person at the bank can help me. Just let me use my check!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

It is obviously apparent, Bank of America is intentionally trying to cut employee time costs by forcing customers to speak to their automated system and input their account details. Then based on how much profit they make off you, put you in a tier of a long or short wait. All the meanwhile, forcing you to talk on phone or chat online with a machine. And are converting longtime customers and grandfathered accounts to fee or asset generating accounts with an iron grip. Your customer service reasonableness sucks! Bring back real people customer service and treat all customers like real people, not just numbers.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I signed up for a free account to park my money. This is the emergency account that I do not use. Imagine my shock to discover a mystery fee applied after 10 years that suddenly drained it! My own bank in Bellingham would not answer my calls. Customer service refused to acknowledge that even on my online account page there was no clear notification of a fee change.

This is actually the second time this has happened to me in 15 years. After the first incident, I went to the bank to specifically changed the account to an online e-checking account that specifically would not charge any fees. I am located in Canada... Last year they called me and said information was missing on my account of 15 years and I had to show up in the bank within 30 days or my account would be closed. I have been put through so much BS with BOA, I'm pulling out all my money today. When a bank tries to improve its bottom line by stealing from its own customers, take your money and run!

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg