2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.7/5 (1629 ratings)

About Bank of America

Bank of America offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity loan, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Bank of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

My dad was one of first Covid-19 victims, died February 27th 2020. He had $12,000 left on loan for his house. I've spent almost 2 years & over $10,000 on lawyer fighting Bank of America. They refuse to let me, his son, I have same name as my dad, they refuse to let me make a payment, 2 years they got crazy overpriced lawyers that keep throwing wrenches into system. It's almost 2 years later and don't know what else to do. My dad owed $12,000 on a house valued at $158,000. When he died everything was shut down and closed, normal places you could walk into were all closed, phone calls were a joke, all bank of America people hung up because I wasn't my dad. $10,000 I've spent on a lawyer and getting nowhere.

Bank of America for 2 years has refused to allow me to make a payment and they are effectively strong arming me into not getting even a chance to pick up where my dad left off when he died. Bank of America wants a $158,000 house for the $12,000 that's left on loan. They refuse for 2 years to let me make a payment, and are suing to have to have title to house. These people already spent their bailout money on executive bonuses and vacations 10years ago, I'm witness that they have now reverted to stealing and strong-arming to make their books even. My only hope that someone who has the power to do something about this will. I've spent more money on a lawyer than what was due left on the loan but they refuse to let me pay the balance.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

BofA has the worst customer service in the industry. Yesterday my wife tried to Zelle $3,000 and her request was denied. She spent over an hour with a customer service up and, in the end, he told her that he did not see her account?!? and told her to make an appointment with a local branch. Today I tried to Zelle the $3,000 and my account was locked, even though I was able to Zelle $3,500 to the same individual just yesterday. I have been with BofA for 35 years and I cannot take it anymore. I am moving my banking business to Ally bank.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I enrolled for automatic redemption at the end of each month of my credit card rewards balance. I saw on my Bank of America statement that my rewards balance of $348.12 had been "redeemed". However, the credit for the funds did not appear anywhere on either my checking account statement or my credit card statement. I called Bank of America and spent 30 minutes on hold, waiting for a customer service representative to take my call. The customer service representative, when he finally answered the phone, could not tell me what happened to the $348.12 rewards credit. He could not find where the money had gone, even though it was designated as "Redeemed" and had disappeared from my rewards balance due to me. I requested that he escalate the level of customer service and permit me to speak with a supervisor.

I was again on hold, waiting for a supervisor, for over 30 minutes. Don't do business with bank of america. They are crooks who will rip you off and then avoid you when you attempt to contact them to explain where your money went. If my money doesn't show up on my banking statement(s) soon, I will be contacting my state's attorney general to obtain relief. Btw, I never was connected with a supervisor.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

My experience as of late has been less than “ok.” That said, I do strive to maintain that “glass half full” mindset. The wait times have been unacceptable, and the other avenues to contact a person (email, chat) are not found any longer?! I am sitting here listening to the recording while on hold, and again “she” tells me to ”ASK ERICA” one more time… oh vey. I know that this bank is making a lot of money from me alone, so I don/t find rationale for the wait times, nor the lack of appreciation for having paid my vehicle loan off in full, years early. Maybe I am ridiculous to expect anything of the like? Not even a “Thanks, great job” in the generic letter received. I was informed that I've been a customer for “21 years now, and we appreciate that”. However, loyalty makes no true difference, and I am less and less pleased with the costs associated with banking with them. I would NOT recommend their services!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Bank of America is consistently the worst company I have ever worked with. They make poor airline service look delightful. Nobody ever knows what's going on in their service department. Their automated services are an endless loop of time sucking confusion. Here's a company so poorly run that even the simplest of tasks become difficult and grating. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this company.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

This bank is pure GARBAGE!!!! The Federal Government should investigate this fraudulent Institution for its illegal practices. Resolution Specialist Alphonso ** is the absolute worst. He is living proof you don't need a education to work for Bank Of America. I am warning anybody who are thinking about opening a account to stay away from this bank.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

A customer since 1995. They treat you like a 2nd class citizen!!! I have been attempting to close my accounts for 4 weeks now... Good luck... A preferred gold customer... AS a bank, they are horrible!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

8 hours on phone as usual, this has gone on for ten years and then I give up. No way for an elderly person who cannot get to the bank to get her own money out of BoA. Be very careful, this will be a carefully constructed nightmare to prevent access to your own funds.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I am a Bank of America customer for the last 29 years and a platinum customer, and keep a lot of cash with them. I visited a local branch to get "medallion signature guarantee" form signed. I needed this form for Fidelity on their standard form. Since I do business with BOA and the branch is near my home, I went there to get it done. Staff at the branch is nice but have no idea what they are doing. Subsequently, I had to contact someone at a remote BOA office two times. Eventually, everyone in customer service is extremely helpless/hopeless. They rather create hurdles to get a simple task done. Normally they are rude and quick to suggest that I could go somewhere else. My form is still not signed and may take several days. My general experience with BOA customer service is extremely poor in all respects.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

They don't help anyone. The workers take off not caring about their customers and no customer service help at all. Worst bank ever. They just don't ask if you need any help, have the customers wait forever and ever and even offer any type help.

Bank of America author review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor