1.70/5
Based on 407 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

3756 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

On 04/19/2018 at approximately 9:00 AM in the morning, I left my home in order to pay off an auto loan that I had with Vantage West Credit Union. The loan was for a 2011 Honda Pilot, and the balance was $18,923. The payoff was to be done by transferring approximately $11,500 of the debt to a credit account I had with One AZ Credit Union, and paying the remaining $7,423 from my Bank of America account. In order to pay off the loan, I had sold a 1994 Chevrolet K1500 Pickup truck, a 1999 Honda TRX400EX ATV, an FN Herstal FNP-9 Handgun, and a Smith and Wesson M1937 “Brazilian Contract” Revolver, and thus had $4780 in cash that needed to be added to my account.

I first drove to the Bank Of America Branch located at 1210 S Power Road, Mesa AZ and deposited the cash I had received from the sales into my Bank of America account. It should be noted I did not have a single dollar in cash after making the deposit. I then drove to the nearest Vantage West Credit Union Branch located at 3416 N 24th Ln, Phoenix AZ. Upon speaking to the teller, I was advised I could only charge up to $5,000 a day on each card. Due to the fact that I had driven an hour to complete the transaction, I determined I was going to make sure to complete it before going home.

I drove to the nearest One AZ Credit Union branch located at 1812 W Monroe St, Phoenix AZ. I spoke to the Teller and asked her if I would be able to receive a cash advance for the $11,500 I needed from One AZ CU. The teller made a phone call and then advised she could, but was not sure if she had the amount of cash on hand and asked if I would be willing to accept a cashier’s check. I told her I was, and she printed a cashier’s check for the amount made out to Vantage West Credit Union.

I then drove to the nearest Bank of America Branch, located at 4201 S Central Avenue. I spoke to the Teller and asked if I could make a withdrawal for $7,450. The Teller must have become suspicious of some sort of money laundering/fraud scheme because he called a supervisor who asked me about the deposit I had made earlier in the day. I explained to the supervisor that I had made the deposit with the intention of paying part of the Vantage West Credit Union loan off with my card, but was told there was a 5,000 limit on the card and thus needed either cash or a cashier’s check. The supervisor allowed the transaction to take place, and I was given $7,450 in cash. The cash was run through a bill counter in front of me and placed in three different envelopes. I never removed a single bill from any of the three envelopes.

I went back to Vantage West Credit Union on 24th Ln with the $11,500 cashier’s check and the $7450 cash in envelopes. I spoke to the teller, who first processed the cashier’s check and then took the envelopes to process. After a few minutes, the teller returned, showing me a decrepit $100 bill and stating the bill counter had detected it was counterfeit. She advised her supervisor would have to look at it. The supervisor responded and looked at the bill. The supervisor then advised me the bill appeared counterfeit, and she would have to submit it to the Secret Service for review. She advised me if the Secret Service advised the bill was legitimate, which was rare, I would be credited the money back into an account.

She advised me she would provide me with a form stating the money had been confiscated. Since I was now $73 short of the amount needed to pay off the loan, I paid the balance with my Bank of America debit card. I paid an additional $10 to have the vehicle title expedited so I could sell it. Vantage West Employee’s advised their system was down and they would not be able to provide me with any paperwork. I advised them I needed some sort of receipt. After waiting for over an hour, they were able to provide me with a screenshotted print of the page they were using to submit the bill.

I returned to the Bank of America Branch on Central to confront the employees about providing me with a counterfeit bill. I was immediately referred to the Branch Manager, **. ** repeatedly stated the bill counter would have detected if the bill was counterfeit so it could not have come from the branch, and stated her employees had done nothing wrong. I advised her I did not feel her employees had done anything wrong, however I knew for a fact that the counterfeit bill had come from their branch as I did not have any cash with me before entering their branch, and had proceeded from their branch directly to the Vantage West Credit Union branch to pay to the loan off. ** stated she would try to get in contact with some resources and call me.

At this point it was 2:30 PM, I had been away from home for 5 hours on my day off trying to complete a financial errand, and I was tired and defeated. I drove home. I received voicemail from ** at 5:44 PM providing me with a number to call back. On 04/20/2018 at approximately 9:45 AM, I called the number I was provided. I reached a phone tree. I selected the option to talk to a representative. The phone rang for approximately 30 seconds, stated all of the employees were busy, and hung up on me.

I have been a Bank of America customer since 2010. I have a 770 credit score. I work in the legal field and thus have an absolutely perfect record, having not even received a traffic ticket since 2011. Because of my profession, I am fully aware that it is my word against the word of the bank, and that there is absolutely no way for me to prove my story. However I personally know for a fact that I received a counterfeit $100 bill from the Bank of America branch at 4201 S Central Avenue, Phoenix Arizona. And after paying off an $18,923 balance on a car loan, I needed the little bit of money remaining in my accounts and couldn’t afford the $100 loss.

I don’t blame any of the bank employees, if they were going to carefully examine every single bill that came through the bank, they would need to be paid much more and there would need to be many more of them to handle the workload. However one of two things happened: either Bank of America’s “indefectible” bill counter missed a bill, or one of the employees of Vantage West Credit Union “scooped some off the top” by replacing one of the bills I provided them with a counterfeit one. I’m inclined to believe the former occurred. And so, due to the financial loss I have suffered due to a quality control issue at Bank of America, I will be ending all business with them, as will my family members. I understand these sorts of things have happened with other banks, but for me it didn’t happen at any other bank, it happened at Bank of America.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I’ve been a long-time customer Bank of America and I was treated like I was a criminal when somebody hacked my account. They have poor customer service skills and don’t know how to treat their longtime customers. It’s very sad that you bank with a company that long and they can treat you so badly like you’re worth nothing and your business means nothing. I’m considering and changing banks and after all this that I went through aggravation and being upset that somebody went in my account I don’t believe I’ll be banking with them anymore. This experience had made me think twice about staying with Bank of America.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This branch is in American Canyon near Walmart. I withdrew money from the ATM, and I wanted to have a $100 bill. I asked the teller if she can help me, and she said I have to go in line just to help me. Then I approached the, would it be a Branch Manager, that just stands there and staring at depositors, to help me have a change, and for god's sake, she told me that I have to go in line just to change my money. This bank really needs to train their employees, they are really not helping. This bank has a poor customer service. Too much different from Wells Fargo who helps in every way. Maybe you can ask Wells Fargo where they train their employees so you can go there, too. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE if I may say, in all branches.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Have had a credit card and checking account with this bank since December, 2017. In that time, of course fraud, atm ate my checks, customer service people need a lot more training. It has taken me approximately 1 month to try to have issues resolved. Your customer service people don’t know what they are talking about and just make things up as they go. When calling customer service, of course, the yank game, never obtaining correct phone numbers, constantly have to request to talk to a manager or supervisor and even at that level am not sure they know what they are talking about. Too much time spent trying to resolve an issue, talking to too many people, having to repeat myself too many times, in my analysis, just as bad as every other banking entity out there. I am getting rid of banks the same way women get rid of men.

There are so many banks to choose from. We (the people) do not have to put up with or do banking with amateurs, undertrained people, who don’t know what they are doing. In my analysis, we are dealing with nosey, busybody individuals, who just want to know how much money you have and I personally would never take their advice. In finality, BofA is right up there with other banks, their huge corporations are going to go right down the toilet if their employees don’t shape up. Customer service people need more training, they have to understand that the companies they are representing are as huge as they are because of their customers. Good customer service is the platform from which a company will expand, grow or otherwise. Bad customer service, people will bail as I will be doing.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The most unprofessional bank I have had to experience. Made it impossible to deposit money into my mother's account with a check. After waiting in the drive thru 20 minutes @ 11:30am, went through the whole process, verified all my mother's information, and before I confirmed the appointment the teller said I had to go inside the bank to do the transaction, without any explanation. I went inside and waited another 35 minutes, now it's 12pm, 6 people in line 1 teller!! Really during lunch time. I will encourage my mother to change banks ASAP. This location is the most ** unprofessional bank I have seen. I see that I need to stay on my side of town for professional service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: April 14, 2018

Bank of America has to be the shadiest bank I ever had to deal with. And I worked in Banking for 8 years. They charge you a fee for everything even if that fee overdrafted you. I was trying to get items balanced. I watch this account like a hawk. An overdraft fee posted. But before the item tried post. And the next day the same thing because it was all in pending. I called the bank right away totals were over 140. Not only was I treated like a idiot, I got a lecture. So I paid the fees and have a new account with Ally. No monthly fees. That's what Bank of America did next. I left 1.27 in the account. Checked my balance, and two days later, again 1.27 suddenly I'm overdraw. IT WAS THEIR OWN 12 MAINT FEE THAT OVERDREW the account.

The monthly maintenance fee how they have it I don't like. But to overdraft my account for a 12 fee. I pushed to get the funds back to plus all the time I had to listen to a lecture about when my statement comes out. Seriously? I'm moving to Ally Bank. No minimum deposit (I have had one dollar in the bank the whole time) and regardless of how much you have you get interest. My dollar has been accruing interest. Bank of America used to be a good bank. At this time someone needs to go in and investigate them. There should have been a buffer or alert to not deduct BOA fees if it overdrafts. Then of all things the rep is asking if I know how the account works and I should know when my statement comes out. Seriously? I have more of a life to keep track of, than my bank statement. After all of the above, I don't trust them at all.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Loan paid, BofA sent auto loan lien release to NY, not AZ. Asked for copy of lien release and will not send out. Took 45 min on phone, customer service rep horrible support, didn't know what to do, needed to talk to supervisor 3 times.

Original review: April 13, 2018

After 20 years with them they froze my account until my daughter, who was placed on the account only as a pay after death did not update her information. She has no access to the account or any way of doing so without physically going into a bank... which she did with her Driver's License, marriage license (name change verification), W9 and social security card. They would not accept that as proof of identity because the SS card still had her maiden name (which the marriage license showed). They are refusing to pay my scheduled bills which we create late fees and drop in credit rating. Can't cancel the account because I have no access. They suggested I cancel when I can open a new account. FAT CHANCE... I feel they are almost committing theft or extortion at this point.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The reps are rude, disgusting like they are paying you child support. Supervisors are worse. They act like you bothering them. That bank I think is about to go under, in the bank you can only give money orders no cash. The cards you have to wait weeks for, you will be sitting in the dark by the time you get a card. Wish they switch to Chase. Bank of America is unreliable and customer service is worse.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I just did a international wiring, besides $45 wire fee, they charged extra $12 SHA fee. The worst thing is they deduct it from my sending money and the receiver got insufficient amount and affected my transactions. When I called BOA agent, they told me they did not charge it, but I got telegram copy from receiver clearly says sender's fee usd12 and type is SHA. What a horrible service and cheating bank.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Horrible customer service!!! I have been on the line holding to talk to someone for 20 minutes now, that is ridiculous, not a way to keep customers!!! Will def make me look at other banks, either you are trying to be cheap and don't have enough people or you are using people from ** that can’t even help because they barely speak English, either way it sucks!!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

So for the past few months or so I’ve been noticing that Bank of America have putting overdraft fees BEFORE the allocated time they give customers (3pm). I went to bed last night a little before midnight. I wake up to my account being -$200 (including a POSTED overdraft fee). KEEP in MIND my account was current when I went to bed. Since when are they processing and posting overdrafts overnight!?! Like seriously!

Typically if I wake up to an overdraft I run to the bank before 3 pm and make a deposit to avoid the fee. When I called the bank I told the representative I’ve noticed this at least 3 times before and I’ve had it. She said she’d note it but could remove the fee from my account. I asked if they changed the allocated times to make the deposits. She said no, BUT CLEARLY THEY ARE because I spoke to another rep who said they process everything at midnight. But since when are you allowed to charge people for fee, process and post all at once!?! This bank sucks and makes billions of dollars off of crap like this. I’ve already switched my direct deposit to go 100% into my credit union. So long bank of BS. Keep in mind I’ve been a customer a good amount of years!

Original review: April 10, 2018

This bank does not care about their customers at all. I had a dispute that started on 2/5 and I talked to a very nice person and tried to resolve this which he said was resolved and I saw the money go back into my account and thought that was the end of it but little did I know that there was another document being sent to my home that I would need to sign and return or the claim would be denied. I was never told of this at all and it was only mid March when I saw the money come back out. Then called them again and they said they were waiting on this document. I told them I wasnt aware and they said, "Ok. We can send/e-mail it to you," and she asked for my e-mail. I then waited a few days and saw nothing, I called back again and was told, "No. These cannot go to e-mail addresses..."

So I then asked what are my options and they said I can go into a branch and they can print out the paperwork I can sign or wait for it to be mailed again. I choose to go to the bank. So I went to the bank on Saturday morning and the lady there was also clueless. Said, "Oh I have never had to deal with an issue like this in the office," and then tried calling the dispute line to say, "Oh they're closed Saturday." I then called back the following Monday to be informed that they are open every Saturday and the lady just had no clue what was going on.

It's now April and I still dont have my money. I was able to dig thru old mail and find the confirmation paper from February and I sent that in on 4/6. Now I called to confirm they received it and the claim would be reopened. They said they received the fax but need to push it into reconsideration whether this would even be reopened which is going to take between 10-20 more days. These people are clueless, they dont know what the other is doing and could care less how long you have to wait. I plan to resolve this and choose another bank.

Original review: April 9, 2018

My handbag was stolen from my car. In it, was my Bank of America debit card and my driver license. I IMMEDIATELY called the bank and was told not to worry, a replacement card would be sent. It was. Then, 3 weeks later, the bandit went into a Bank of America and presented a phony check for $2,245, which the teller cashed, and which bounced and threw my account into being overdrawn. They told me not to worry and issued a credit. Then 2 days later, the bandit did it AGAIN, for $2,345. Again I was told not to worry. THEN, 3 months later, they "concluded" an investigation (of which I had no knowledge) and claim that it was NOT fraud, and reversing the credits -- so I am responsible for $4,600 of THEIR failures to prevent fraud. I try to call them -- sit on the phone for HOURS and then get someone with no authority who just says they are sorry. Curious to know if others have had this experience.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Offered $50 for using the mobile app. The application produces a bunch of error. When called BoA, the representative kept me on the call for about an hour troubleshooting their app. Then she told she's going to call back. Finally, I have to call BoA myself. They told me that I'm not qualified for the promotion, but they can file a complaint against the agent for promising me the wrong things. Such a waste of time on the application that doesn't work and the calls! Worst experience!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Bank of America is not only the worst bank I've ever used, but just in general the worst service ever provided regarding anything. Their app is complete trash and not helpful in any regards, often making you login over and over for no reason. For any check deposit it takes a business day for you to get anything, and if the check is larger than $200, then it take multiple days to get anything over $200. If you try and deposit an amount larger than that in cash, they hold it for several days as well due to "money laundering" security. If you go in to the store, every experience I've had was actually really pleasant and the people we're very nice, but don't be fooled.

I have never taken the time to actually review anything online because I think its petty and idiotic but Bank of America is literally such ** that I had to get the word out. If you're thinking about opening an account, you should honestly go burn all your money, divorce your wife, and go live under a bridge because that would be 10x less stressful and annoying than being a BOA customer.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Be aware that this bank will place a 7 day hold on a check. I deposited a check via the deposit app on my phone from a large institution. B of A put a 7 business day hold even though they acknowledged that the check had cleared within 24 hours. Time for a class action suit. I was warned about this bank. I am learning the hard lesson.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I am a college student and only work part-time. Needless to say my bank gets below the $25 limit but I am very adamant about checking my account for the amount I have. I noticed after a year of using the bank that as I neared the $25, items would disappear from my statement as if I never bought them but then the moment I didn't have enough to pay for them, they would come back. This is also not a matter of weekends or holidays because it happened again today - Friday morning. The other thing is that they love to do it right before my scheduled direct deposit payday in the hopes I won't have cash on the side to cover it and they can overdraft me. To make matters worse they don't email saying I've over drafted until about 3:00 pm which only gives me 2 hours to rake up the money to not overdraft, I'm beyond tired of calling my parents frantic that I need a dollar to cover the 30 cents I over drafted.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I am fed up with the customer service of this company. I own a business and have a business with this bank and for the last 2 days, no one will believe me that I am who I am. I answered every questions, the security code in email, everything and they want more and more information saying I am not who I am. Why can't they verify it is me? I don't understand this. One of the worst customer services in the world. They charged backed $125 from my account due to an error of one of my customers' bank charging her twice for the amount. I don't understand why Bank of America took that amount from my account when it wasn't us that charged her twice. I will be switching to another bank now after this.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I made a money order deposit on March 30, 2018 and was informed by the bank that the cash would be available the next day. When I went to the local branch I was told it would be ready the following day (now two days from the deposit). I called customer service after the third day of it not clearing. I was told availability would be on April 9th and now I just received a letter stating it would be held until April 10th. This is outrageous and so annoying! I cannot pay bills or even put gas into my car... DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT AT BANK OF AMERICA, I can't be the first person this has happened to.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had a hold out on my account due to a fraud charge, they told me it would take 2 days to get back to me, ok that's fine, but after 5 days and no communication from BOA I was still unable to use my card. Even after making sure I dropped in a cash so the account has more than enough in it to cover the fraud purchase (Palm Beach Tanning) charging me after turning it almost a year ago. Then I spent 3 hours on hold with 5 different people and 4 different departments, and no one could unfreeze it. The part that I'm pissed at is only after 3 hours on hold while trying to take care of an infant, did they tell me it could only be resolved in bank location?! They couldn't told me that in the begin so I didn't have to be on hold that long? Out of the 5 people I spoke to, none of them knew how to unfreeze my account or the proper protocol!!??? Shame on you BOA!!!

Original review: April 2, 2018

1 company keep charging my account. Called BofA they refund me, then the next month same company charge me again called BofA again and ask them if I keep watching this and keep calling, SURPRISE SURPRISE!!! WAS TOLD BY MARY THE REP. YES, YES. They don't have in their end power to cancel the auto charge, I have to call the company and give me the new phone number because they change their number.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Extremely rude teller. I wanted to deposit a $21,000 check in person as I was not comfortable putting a check of that amount into a machine. I was reprimanded several times by the teller that I should have used the automated machine. She never once smiled or thanked me for my business. Terrible customer service.

Original review: April 1, 2018

First notified by text our mailing address was changed (we did not do this). We called & they put in a fraud report. A week later, someone was able to get past their two step authentication and change our login to ALL 6 accounts we had with them. It gets better, then we open another checking account and they try to charge us for the checks. We call and in attempting to authenticate who I am before logging into our account and making changes the guy asks for my cell phone number so he can send a password to it to confirm I am the person on this account.

Oh My Lanta! So that is how easy it is to hack into someone's account thru this bank. I am sorry to say, but they are TOO big to care or to change their practices. Needless to say, we had no choice but to close ALL accounts we had with them. Oh, and by the way, just before closing the new account, the hackers attempted to withdrawal our savings amount from the old account that was closed and BOA tried to pay it out thru overdraft!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Bank of America online banking app is horrible. The app is never accurate, somehow it continues to update transactions 4 days later, leaving account in negative due to misinformation. However it is accurate when they want to take money out for insufficient funds. It is posted and taken immediately. $67.00 was taken from me due to app being slow updating transaction. When I called they couldn't help me. Why is the app not accurate?

Original review: March 28, 2018

Don't trust Bank of America. I deposited a foreign check on 02/16/2018 into my Bank of America checking account. The money was made available into my account within the next couple of days. I confirmed my account balance both at the ATM machine and in branch with a bank teller. This check was in amount of $4400 which I had received in exchange for goods to be shipped to Canada. Since I trusted Bank of America, once the balance was available in my account, I went ahead and shipped the goods to Canada with tracking number. Two weeks later Bank of America withdrew $4415 from my account, stating that the check was counterfeit. I lost both my money and goods. I hold Bank of America for this loss, as they did not disclose the exact terms of conditions to me. Had they informed me of the processing period of the check and not released the money into my account, I had not lost my goods.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have been with BOA for well over 15 years. I originally opened a savings account upon getting my first job at 15. It was a no brainer, my entire family had banked with them for as long as I could remember. I should have know 3 years down the road I should have switched. I used the savings account to build my nest for my first apartment when I turned 18. Depositing only, never withdrawing for 3 solid years. All of my cash tips and my tax return during that time period went in and never thought or worried about until that day came to start furnishing my apartment.

18 y/o me was so proud that I had saved and would be able to furnish my apartment, no problem. Until I went to withdraw the money and the account was overdrawn! Somehow they had linked my account to my dad's business account, after he closed it out because of severe issues with BOA, they continued to take HIS account fees from my account and allow transactions to continue to clear from a closed account... by way of my hard earned and saved money.

Fast forward 15 years, we solely use our BOA account for bills, until we notice BOA is holding large items (mortgage, car payment and credit card payments) under "pending transactions" for 2 weeks. TWO WEEKS! Without notifying us why, they return all of the payments, and double process other payments, then charging us returned item fees for asking them to stop the double payment THEY processed. This has now been going on since January of 2018, currently nearing the end of March 2018. Over $500 in returned item fees FOR THEIR MISTAKES.

We have spoken with CSR after CSR forwarded to a Manager then another Manager to no avail. They say they'll take care of the charges, and they do... for all of 2 days, then I see them pop back up on my account and the last representative I spoke with had the audacity to tell me this was all our fault, we should monitor our banking transactions better. REALLY? I should monitor my account on an hourly basis to make sure YOUR NATIONWIDE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION is doing their job? Needless to say, I'm done with BOA. We have since opened our accounts with a LOCAL bank and also a regional Credit Union, neither of which have these outrageous fees, unrivaled lack of service and this pass the buck, it's not our problem attitude.

My entire family has continued to be loyal BOA customers, even using them for their mortgages and other financial products but after this go round (I'm not the only one having these issues) they are losing not only my household's business, which accounts for 4 separate accounts/products, they will also lose my father, stepfather, mother, grandmother, aunt, uncle and the rest of our immediate family. HEY BANK OF AMERICA - I HOPE THOSE FEES ARE WORTH WHAT YOU'RE LOSING! DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU. They'll be finding themselves looking for another buyout and Merrill Lynch has already footed enough saving your skin!

Original review: March 27, 2018

Today I sent a wire transfer from my credit union account to a company whose account is with Bank of America. I missed a digit in the company's account number, despite having clearly identified the company by their legal LLC name and included my account information. In minutes, Bank of America returned the wire but withdrew $45 to penalize me for missing a SINGLE DIGIT in the long account number. People aren't machines. We make mistakes. But Bank of America goes out of its way to hurt people financially so it can squeeze as much money out of people as possible.

I called four branches before finally getting in touch with someone who listened to my complaint. She sneered at me, "We're a business, not a charity. It doesn't matter how small the oversight was, we're entitled to charge you." They refused to remove or lessen the charge. Even my credit union was surprised at Bank of America's unprofessionalism and the size of their fee. This is one of the reasons I closed my Bank of America account many years ago and moved my assets to my credit union.

Don't do business with banks. Use credit unions and other services that don't treat you like a walking ATM. My credit union is treating me like a human being and NOT re-charging me to re-send the wire. I'll be asking my bank to provide me the paperwork showing Bank of America's fee so I can return to this review to upload a copy of the document.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I made application for a secured credit card on a Bank of America branch of South Beach Miami 930 Washington Ave. The tellers inside are always busy and the "supervisor" is a lady. She probably know better party than his job. I was attended from a guy. His name was Carlos and we talk about doing the application. We talk probably 35 minutes and after that he asked me to deposit 300 dollars for make the application easy to be approved. Is passed 1 week and the application was declined. Better STAY AWAY FROM THAT BANK. THE SCAM IS CLEAR AND SURE.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I closed my account on the phone in January because I was so unhappy with their approach to customers. I then walked to the bank in person (live in NYC) and they had not closed the account so I spoke with a person to close the account. Months later, it is March. When I went to the bank in January they gave me my balance, and I took that money and put it in the credit union. Now, today, hours on the phone to get them to actually CLOSE the account still (three plus months later of them still sending statements and me still telling them I close it) and they tell me that they gave me too much money and that I need to repay them for their error. So not ever banking with them again. This is not the first time they have made an error that impacts me. I cancelled a lost ATM card earlier, and they told me that they would send a new one. Did it actually happen? No, it took three different visits to branches of the bank to get that done.

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg