1.64/5
Based on 430 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

3923 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

For anyone looking for a merchant account please stay away from Bank Of America Merchant. It is a SCAM. They make it look so easy and it might seem fair price for your Clover device but believe me they are ripping people off. They will sign you up for a long term contract and you won't be able to get out of it for a long long time. I closed my store last year and I called BOA Merchant customer service to close my account immediately after I shut down my business. They were unable to cancel my account unless I pay over $500 cancellation fee so now I'm stuck to monthly fees until next year.

They should be more supportive of small business as we are the ones who work hard to make the magic happen... But instead they will lure you in and if your business doesn't go according to your plan you will be stuck with long term fees. There are many other companies out there to chose from... This is my experience and I would like to share with everyone. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I reluctantly opened an account at Bank of America after Washington Mutual went under during the economic crisis. Now, after 9 years of having the same checking account, suddenly I noticed a $12 maintenance fee. This is the "new" type of account they rolled me in to. (Without my permission.) I was told it is stated on my original contract they have the right to change their accounts at any time. So basically what this means is that they will sign you up under a free account and then switch you to a fee based account without your permission and it's all ok. They are a horrible bank!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Don't open an account! There is no way to close it easy just like you opened it. BofA makes you call them asking you question after question, "Why do you want to close?" then will send you to a branch to wait just to close the account.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I’m still shaken up about my experience at The Sargent Drive Bank of America in New Haven CT. Even though I’m not a customer of the bank I was there to make a deposit for a customer. The line was out the door and even though there were about 9 employees only one teller was processing transactions. 1 gentleman in the line very nicely complained about the line and asked if someone else could assist the teller, 2 female managers and a gentleman started screaming at him, when I tell you screaming it was beyond that, threatening him to call the Police. They told him to shut up and wait. I was so scared and I could not believe the attacked and treatment to a customer. Glad I’m not a customer of Bank of America and never will be.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Deposit a lottery check a day ago. I understand all funds can’t be available but only $200 and have to wait 4 days until end of day at 5pm to get more. It’s a lottery check state treasury like the state tax return check which clears same day or next business day but 4 days, come on. Long time customer. I see why these reviews and complaints go out. I wish I had looked years ago. Now another bank will be getting my business and my family friends etc. on Facebook Twitter will know also. If I keep one or a thousand of customers from opening accounts in your misguided bank. My job is done. Well done. Goodbye BOA. You’re only as good as the people that work there and the customers that brought you your profit. Wtf. Smh.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

When making a bill pay, Bank of America does not immediately withdraw the funds. Instead, they let the funds linger in the account for a few days and then they take it out on a day when the account might be low so that they can get an overdraft fee. After the day they promised to take it out, they removed all indication of a bill being processed so you might think that they changed their mind about sending it out! Terrible way of doing business. Don’t trust them!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I was goaded into opening a business checking account by my local branch. They convinced me that my checks could be cashed quicker if I had an account with them. This was true until 2018. This year the process of cashing a check at a counter takes about 20-60min depending on the branch. To top it all off, earlier this month I was informed that they don’t do “cash deposits any more”. No warning at the counter when I asked for it. I even filed a complaint re: cashier didn’t follow directions, and the next week I went in there were disclaimers everywhere, at the teller and atm re: no cash deposits at the teller and get this, even if you deposit cash BOA can hold it for 24 hrs or indefinitely. They literally wrote a disclaimer that says they can hold your money for as long as necessary.

The checks I deposit are hand-signed, but the same checks for the past year, and yet they always give me the 3rd degree and ask 20 questions and even lecture me on the signature on the check as if it’s any of my business (or theirs!). The checks are from a BOA business customer so they should take it up with them rather than the person cashing the check. I tried transferring funds from an online bank and it was rejected. BOA gave zero notice and I waited for nothing. Then I have overdraft resultant of this, there were no overdraft fees on Friday, Saturday I deposit cash at an atm to cover the negative balance, and Monday I receive notifications re: 2x overdraft fees. I’m livid.

I walk into my branch expecting service and I’m put in an empty office and they dial the 1800 number for me and ask me to wait. I waited 20 min and went out and asked how long they expect me to wait. The girl said she’ll “check” and then disappeared. Never to return. We were at 30 min mark when someone finally answered. No one from the branch checked on my progress by the way. 40 min later I finally got my account closed through the call center. This, I could’ve done from work or home or anywhere but a branch office. If you’re not going to give any service, close your offices. I’m talking to you BOA on lake/Colorado (Pasadena CA).

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I was a victim of fraud - someone got my debit card info and used it. 4 months later (after my money was refunded from BOA) I was getting ready to pay my child's daycare and noticed my entire checking account plus more had been wiped out (leaving me in the negatives). I called BOA and they said they couldn't find sufficient evidence of fraud so they took the money they refunded me back WITHOUT any notice. As a result of this, I was unable to pay my child's daycare resulting in me losing my job! I begged and pleaded with the bank and they were just rude to me. DO NOT TRUST THEM OR DO BUSINESS WITH THEM! I am in the process of suing them as well (thank goodness I have a lawyer in the family)!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have had $18,980 in checks put on hold in my business account. I am now bouncing checks, being charged NSF because of the hold & Bank of America won’t do anything about it. Both checks deposited are from returning customers. This seems like a loophole to make money off unwarranted fees when I would clearly have money if Bank of America didn’t decide to put random holds. I do over $200k a month thru my bank account and this is ridiculous! The rep I dealt with, Linda **, was also the rudest broad I’ve ever dealt with! Will be taking my business elsewhere!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I made a mobile deposit, around 7 pm on 8/10/18 and it’s showing that it won’t be available until 8/21/18 which to my knowledge the longest they can hold a check is five days to verify funds and to make a point across. It's only $500.00 which is absolutely absurd. Not to mention every 2 debit cards purchases I’m asked to verify the charge and one day I was buying groceries 10xs. I inserted my card and had to call customer service in a very busy grocery store with everyone looking at me like I didn’t have money to pay for my groceries which upset me, not to mention my food was going warm after being in store 1 hr on the phone with customer service and being in a hurry. Had a my daughters Birthday dinner that I had to prepare - point blank very inconvenient and humiliating and the bank telling me there was no lock on my debit card! I was on the bank waiting 21 minutes.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been with Bank of America for over 8 years and I have been having so many issues with them within the last year. Within the last year I have been getting charged with overdraft fees. I was Told that they only do ONE overdraft waiver a year. I cannot be with a bank like especially when some of those transactions are not my fault. I put the money in on time. All that money they have and only 1 overdraft waiver a year.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I was ignored while standing, waiting to be waited on in the BOA in Pensacola. I was the only customer in the bank at the time and waited for the ** man or woman behind the counter to help me. I waited, threw my hands up at my wife sitting in the car waiting on me, turned and waited another couple of minutes, still standing and waiting, I threw my hands up and walked out. My wait was over the time limit when it exceeds four minutes before asking what I want. No mention of, "I will be right with you", not a peep. Had I been **, maybe, will never know because they will play it down as I was just in a hurry. Not the case. I still did not get done what I intended.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I had monetary discrepancies from big name online retailers and both my Bank of America credit and debit cards. The apathetic staff only replied with canned responses and passed the buck elsewhere. I got so frustrated with multiple calls, I finally started recording the conversations of them doing absolutely nothing. My debit card had supposedly platinum protection on it. I’ve been a Bank of America member since 2005 and the very newbie sounding staff did nothing but tell me I had to pay.

I had one boss act like a nasty piece of work after going through each discrepancy on my charges. He had zero cares to give and only seemed interested in billing me of my money. I had an Echo Rita today 3 grand added to my debt which was put there by a keystroke from likely one of the embezzling staff. I loved Bank of America for years and had their lowest fixed interest rate credit card 6.24% APR fixed and their now very disrespectful, unprofessional staff did nothing to help. I refuse to pay for their greed. They are skimming the funds off of good bankers.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Yesterday I checked my dad's account, he is retired 68 years old. I noticed he was -$88.00 because of autopay insurance charge and he did not have enough to cover the charge so I later deposit $95.00 to my dad's account to cover the fee and I check today he got charged $35.00 overdraft fee on an SSI retired old man. I call today and explained to the representative and he is telling, "Sorry I cannot do anything about the system is not allowing me to do anything (Excuses)." All I got to say is this bank is a rip off. They only care about taking customers' money and do not care less if you disabled or retired. My advice stay away from this bank and do your research when choosing a new bank.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I had opened a checking account for my son a couple years ago, but because he was a minor I had to be on the account. He is an adult now, but I could not be taken off his account, according to BofA, unless both of us are present. This is impossible, as he now lives out of state. He got his account into the negative, so I went to close it so it wouldn't affect my other accounts, and I would pay the negative balance. I paid the negative balance, and closed the account. But when I got back to work, and I checked my account, they had taken over HALF OF MY SAVINGS. Customer service on the phone was useless. They told me I should have known I would be responsible for "hidden fees".

I ran back up to the bank, the representative I saw earlier, told me the same thing - then lied and said he told me that there may be additional fees that I would be responsible for. I talked with his supervisor. She told me the same thing - that when I signed up years ago, I should have remembered that I may be responsible for hidden fees. They stole my money. They lied. They were negligent in not being forthcoming with the truth. The supervisor had the nerve to tell me, that "she wasn't in the room, so she doesn't know if the representative told me I'd be responsible for nearly $1000 or not." I told her to please use her common sense. Why would I close an account, if I knowingly was aware I would be responsible for $1000 for some hidden fees?! Crooks. And unsympathetic to boot. They didn't even bat an eye. I felt insignificant.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My wife set up an account with Bank of America. She deposited $1000 in the account. We have a joint account with MCU and she has a Chase bank account and this was supposed to be our savings account. About 1 week after setting up the account they sent a letter informing us that they were closing the account. They provided a 1-800 number to learn why. The only thing that they would (very tersely) say is that "It was a business decision". That very same day we learned about BOA questioning the citizenship status of its account holders. I am a citizen from birth and my wife is a legal resident alien for the last 30 years. We are homeowners. We have great credit. There were plenty of products and services they could have sold us. We will never have any future dealings with them.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

It seem like Bank of America is trying to use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt. Bank of America claim that I own them money. I am request Bank of America to meet in Orlando and show me the original contract with my signature. Bank America refused to meet me to show me the original contract. Also Bank of America is trying to collect a debt that pass the statues of limitation. Bank of America continue to report false information on my credit. Bank of America claim the account is charge-off. If the account is charge-off, then Bank of America should not be get this allege account as tax write off and still try collect debt at same time. To I really believe that I am being discriminated against because I'm a ** male.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I am a Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors client. This means nothing to my local branch. I went in for a simple notary request. I could not be helped without an appointment. My daughter went in today, Saturday, to have a minor change made to her account. She was told they were too busy, to make an appointment. Earliest available? Next Saturday! I am in the process of leaving BofA due to the minuscule interest on checking and savings, nobody cares. If you want a great banking experience join me at Ally Bank. Great interest rates and a desire to assist... Without a brick and mortar location. My daughter will be leaving BofA on Monday.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I hate to sound like a broken record, but your employee really need to do a better job, the saga continues and this may be the last straw. On Monday 7/30/2018 I went with my 88 year old mother who is walker bound into your Encino branch and met with ABDUL to open up 2 new checking accounts. I explained to him that we needed the check right away because it is the beginning of the month and my mother and I need to pay the bills. He had told us we should receive the checks within 3 business day. I call Abdul yesterday to tell him we have not received the checks and left him a message with RP the branch manager. I did not hear back from Abdul.

I called you 800 number today to find out about the checks and Malia in New Mexico confirmed that the CHECKS WERE NEVER ORDERED. Also yesterday I called your fraud department to have my mothers SS check transfer into the new household account and your rep not only transfer this money out but transfer the entire balance out of the closed account into the new account. HOW COME? This experience has been unbelievable and I am truly sad to say that your institution really needs some TLC because this exercise and experience has been fully pathetic and I am sorry to be a great patron of BofA. Unfortunately you get 5 thumbs down. I now do expect to hear back from maybe the CEO himself to make a humble apology for what is currently taking place, YUK! All of you should be ashamed of yourself for not doing the job that is expected. I look forward hearing back from you!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

8/3/18 Small Business care DOESN'T ANSWER! STAR RATING DOESN'T HAVE A (-)??? OPTION... IT'S NEEDED. I sat on WAIT for over 41 minutes, only to be disconnected. I now type this with clock counting @13 minutes and listening to the ads and fake/pretentious apologies. I demand compensation for my time as it goes one hour. Please reach out to me to start a class action for failure to provide promise of reasonable service. Attorneys... contact me!! The ability to access account control or info is fraud. Represented/Expressed. Screenshot your call details!! Demand fee reimbursement for your account. Make an account here and file complaint upon every encounter.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Bank of America are thieves that steal from the poor. I'm a very poor person, and have less than $1,500 in my bank account at all times because of it. Bank of America charges me a $12 maintenance fee per month because I can't stay above $1,500 a month. I used to have a waived fee years ago because I signed up online. They have since changed their policy, and now they are taking money from me because I am poor and thus making me poorer. What kind of disgusting messed up logic is that? Punishing me for being poor. I'm leaving this corrupt business.

Original review: July 31, 2018

B of A opened an account was an error account but never fixed their own error. Instead they froze 44,000.00 and closed the account. I was treated poorly by customer service on a few occasions. I finally received the money, but there was no apology for their own mistake. B of A appears to act upon anything but the law. I wouldn't recommend this bank for money services.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I went to the bank located in Harbor City, CA on 07/27/18 @ 4:45 pm. Right when I entered I saw the long line. About 20 people were in line on a Friday and only two tellers were open. I was greeted by a manager name Juliana. She asked me is there something she can help me with. I told her I'm just here to deposit a check. She then offered me the service through the ATM. I then asked her, "If I deposit this check will it be cleared tomorrow on Saturday." The reason why I asked this question is because I had to pay rent by the next day. She then asked me a couple of questions such as "How long has your account been opened? Have you been overdrawn before?" My answer was, "I'm a returning customer and it's only been opened not even a month." She then told me, "Oh then no. The check won't clear." But then after looking at my check she said, "Oh it's a Bank of America check, it would be clear tomorrow."

So seeing that line and I had an appointment in half an hour, I thought that's a great service. I went through an ATM and deposited my check. My receipt says it would be available to you on Saturday, July 28. Today, I logged into my account and my check is only hold till July 31, 2018. I contacted customer service and they told me I was misinformed and that there's nothing they can do to override the mistake.

I was very upset because now I have to pay $150 late fee for my rent because I trusted an EMPLOYEE BANKER to provide me the correct information. The person who told me to deposit it through an ATM was the MANAGER of the Bank. How inconvenient is that for me? I trusted her to provide me the correct information. The bank will definitely not reimburse me the late fee nor provide me anything for their mistake. I was following directions, and what I get out of it is me being screwed and waiting for my check to clear in 5 days. Out of all people, THE MANAGER should know to provide the correct information to their bank customer.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have been trying for several days to reach a LIVE person in customer service at Bank of America. I do not have an account and was trying to open one for my daughter who is about to leave for college. After numerous attempts I made the trip to the nearest branch (there is not one in our town). The girl at the branch was not at all helpful and when I asked for a corporate number she said she did not have one. (How can that possibly be true?)

When I found the corporate office number online and tried to call it, it is an automated system that requires an account number or "phone access number" Or your SS #, but since I don't currently have an account, when I entered my SS #, it said "account not found" and hung up. Very very frustrating. I have tried and tried to do business with this company only to have them come up short again and again. Unfortunately, the business that they do business with are also suffering because of their lack of service.

Original review: July 27, 2018

So I deposited a money order for $880 and Bank of America held it for a few days, which is what banks do. They ended up closing my account instead and that money was for my rent. They said it couldn't be verified and said it was counterfeit and to bring proof to a branch. I went to the branch and showed all proof, MoneyGram even said they can verify with them. On July 18th the manager said they'd contact me in 3-5 business days. Time has been up and I have since been evicted. I slayed my ** off for that $880. I've called and dealt with the rude workers in the account closing department and they keep giving me the runaround. This is frustrating. This isn't fair, I will never in my life trust banks again. They take your money that you worked your ** off for and I keep trying to fight this thing and nothing is happening.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I've been a BofA customer for almost 25 years. My recent financial transaction with them was the most awful experience of my life. I've purchased, sold, short-sold and re-financed property in the past and this re-finance with Bank of America was beyond horrible. Almost every aspect of the transaction was broken. If you need a mortgage please look elsewhere first. As soon as makes financial sense I will re-finance again just for the peace of mind knowing I will not be giving them one more penny of my money.

Original review: July 25, 2018

My husband and me just got married this past weekend. We deposited our checks and they are holding a bank check till August 1st when they said we could have cashed it and had the funds right away vs waiting for the deposit to clear. This was the last straw so we are leaving the bank with our families... Bank of America lost a lot of money and we have had nothing but troubles with them not keeping track of accounts. We have had several incidents where Money was overdrafted due to processing then fixed and having to fight them for their automated crap. Due to them not giving money on direct deposits from Amazon for a day or so we would wind up missing bills.

They would tell us we could do nothing but wait for them to resolve disputed charges where some reason it was rang up twice for food. We would pay a 5 dollar safe checking fee on my account not my husband's to never have to worry about overdrafts and they would still do overdrafts. We called on multiple days, sat with several physical tellers, managers, and supervisors, and even made them get on a three way merge call with my grandmother's bank for the current check having issues through them which is one of those checks you have to buy with money and is considered cash.

It is very dissatisfying that our honeymoon was cut short due to the bank being unjust and not resolving or being able to verify over the phone when they had all these simple solutions they should have been able to do without their clunky software and locks. We did talk to several other banks who said that they can do that since each bank has its own policies but most banks would have had the money resolved since it's been technically 4 days now. Due to all these issues we decided to pull our money and go to an alternative bank. Our families are doing the same which means they lost way more money then they anticipated.

On a positive note the application process is not bad and I didn't have much issues when I got my gender change with them changing the info and changing account types. They do try to keep you safe and lock accounts for activity that feels different from what they usually see but it's all mostly automated. Sucks when you need to wait an hour for it to unlock again due to the fact that it auto locked from buying from a different store, site, or in a different state than it is usually active. Other than that and easy access to an overly placed ATM everywhere from being such a huge company It really feels not worth it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

If I could give a (0) I would. I’m literally $6.25 overdrafted in my account and they’re charging me (3) $35 fees = $105. I can completely understand (1) fee for the big $6.25 but to be charged (3) is crazy because they like to post transactions late to the account. They’re refusing to adjust and threatening to send me to collections.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Stopped, for the first time, at a brand new Bank of America store in Royersford, PA. Cashed a personal check (for $300); however, when I tried to cash a check for $6.36 made out to my wife -- endorsed by her and countersigned by me -- I was told by the cashier that she'd have to check with her manager before giving me the money. She knew my account balance was $15,000+, but still had to get approval! In a hurry, I directed the teller just to deposit the check; she did so, adding that she wasn't sure where the manager was anyway. Everyone I've met at the two BofA that I have visited is pleasant. But they all seem hamstrung by depersonalized regulations. And a couple seem scared to death that they're going to get fired if they make a move that may upset corporate.

Original review: July 24, 2018

After 10 experiences with this Bank of America, I am emotionally and financially exhausted. Extremely poor customer service: very inconsiderate to their customers, account security, credit card information, High ambiguity, backdoors, high interest, HIDDEN INTEREST. Terrible, terrible, terrible!!! All they care about is...THEIR MONEY. They don't give a ** about yours. Save yourself. I try now Chase. Will see how it's going.

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

Charlotte
NC
www.bankofamerica.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business