1.87/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

3554 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I've been with Bank of America for about 10 years. 3 times over that course they have decided to just starting charging me monthly fees despite having two direct deposits put into the account bi-weekly. They have just recently starting charging me fees without "overdraft" fees when all I have been doing is moving money between two accounts. I'm getting tired of this and am closing my BOA account. When I moved all the money out of my BOA account onto another they immediately charged me another fee. I'm done with these guys. I have a family to support on my income alone and can't be getting charged a fee every time I turn around.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have been to a local Bank of America in person within the last 5 days. The Relationship Manager there told me, after checking the coded numbers on back of all 3 copies of front and back of money orders (not credited to my mortgage loan account at Ditech), that the money orders were deposited into a created account by B of A "with a lot of money in it". One of the series of coded numbers on back of all my money orders was the number of a woman, "Vice President of treasure Sales Office", who was called but no answer. Today, I received an email reply from the local B of A Relationship Manager I met with, saying that others at B of A are investigating this matter and it should be resolved by end of this week. I hope so. I am visiting the local B of A again this Monday.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I’ve had several Bank Of America accounts for years. Recently one of my accounts was randomly charged a $25 Fee three times and no one can explain why. Nothing has changed with my finances or the amount in my accounts. They can’t seem to explain what changed about my account and why the fee began and why I can’t get my total of $75 back.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Bank of America keeps holding my paychecks, this is the 4th payroll check I have deposited and now I have been waiting for 7 days and today my car was repossessed because I couldn’t make car payments because they're holding my paycheck, my employ doesn’t have DD yet.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

They charged my $300 savings account $45 in fees. I had transferred from my savings to checking 4 more times than the monthly limit and they charged $10 every time with no warning after the first one. When I called them and asked them to waive the fee they wouldn't. Pulling all this "federal government" **. Taking my deposits elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I would avoid Bank of America at all costs. This is definitely the worst experience I have ever had, and they would not remedy the situation. I highly advise anyone considering them to look elsewhere to do business. Their error resulted in a poor credit report on me and they would not remove it. I have never had even one negative report on my credit in my life. I will be seeking advise from a lawyer to remedy the situation.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The worst thing is waiting on hold. Then they answer and you can't understand the person cause they outsource their phone support. Cheap bastards. Anyway, I paid off a loan and never received confirmation. I had to wait on hold for forever, then talk to an incompetent employee to have a single piece of paper sent to me, stating the loan was paid in full. I waited almost 2 months and nothing after I made the final payment. It's all about records, right, proof that I paid off the loan, that would have been the right and moral thing to do. But hey, they couldn't collect interest off of me, so ** him.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have been with B of A for a very long time, just over 27 years. I am a premier customer, they give me an extra .75% back on my credit card purchases over the standard amount. They gave me a 1.99% auto loan, Credit limit on my B of A visa is $30,000. I do have a large savings account with them as well. I have NEVER had any sort of problem with this bank. It looks like to me that most of the complaints are due to people not managing their accounts properly and then blaming the bank. I also have my business accounts at B of A and again they are just a FANTASTIC bank.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I've been with Bank of America since 2010, when I was a college student. It Friday finally payday. 2017, has been a challenging financial gather about 7,000-8,000 in debt. Finally, thing could turn around. I can bust my butt and begin to reverse the damage, right? Nope, went to bank ready to deposit my paycheck and teller tells me "You don't seem to have an account with us." Me, "???"... Called customer service and they tell me, "Your account been closed." Me, "What about the money I had in my checking and savings?" Her response, "If you can prove the money belongs to you." Me, "???WTF???"

Went back to bank to speak with them in person, "Oh your account not closed. It frozen, here a number call them Wednesday"... Me, "That isn't going to help me put gas in my car to get to work." I think me and Bank of America are getting a divorce, 2016-2017 Bank of America has become that husband that is abusive and manipulating. I deposited my check then get charge a late fee, make a payment on my credit card and bam late fee. I'm sorry your bank has gone downhill on its customer service and satisfaction.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Opened a checking account a week ago... Was sent debit card and deposit checks... Yesterday I get in the mail notification my checking account (that I never used) was closed. Called up customer service and was told there was no information listed on my account as to why it was closed, it just was - no explanation no nothing just closed. Customer service was a waste of time. STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS BANK!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I always have bills that I didn't wrote removed and it is three times at once from my account. And whenever I call where my money is going they telling me they only take one time the money the other two ask Bank of America. When you ask Bank of America why am I overdraft I had money in my account my money isn't there and I didn't wrote no bills on top of that. Bill supposed to be 500 but they took 1500. Why. They can't not answer at all. And it is keep happening day and night no matter what is in my account 2000/30000/500 don't matter I'm overdrafted. That's pure scam.

The other thing every time they overdraft you your card won't work and online log won't work. So you won't see the overdraft. By time 24 hours later when you fix that's when you see and if you ask why my card and online bank wasn't working they will say because someone used in another location which is false. You can say someone used another location but why my online login don't work. Why I don't see someone used another place in my statements. They lie Bank of America and scam people. It's not their first time and not the last time it always happens. Unless I cancel Bank of America.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I try to be very careful with the way I pay my bills and told my wife to deposit a check on Tuesday and I knew I was getting funds on Wednesday early morning ACH. They returned the check on Tuesday itself, charged me NSF. I used my debit card in around 10 PM on Tuesday and that worked fine which would decline if it was NSF. They are just looking into stealing to make money. Bunch of Corporate Robbers.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I feel I need to write this review because I cannot let this corrupt greedy corporation get away with what they do. On September 12-13 I deposited $600.00 cash into their drive up ATM. I choose not to get down because I had my newborn in the car and I figured cash was an immediate deposit so it would show instantly. I put the money in and completed my transaction, the machine glitched on completing and said my transaction had processed but was unable to print out a receipt.

I figured it was ok since it said it had “processed”. Needless to say it was not processed and the cash was not in my account. I was already home and checked my account online. I file a claim as soon as possible because this obviously was not the first time this happened to me. I of course was tossed around while they connected me to the “right people”, which they do not tell the public the outside ATMs are actually run by other sources that are NOT AFFILIATED WITH B OF A, which begs the differ WHO THE HECK RUNS YOUR ATMS???

Long story short drive up to the ATM it eats my cash and it DISAPPEARS??? Literally Bank of America will not take responsibility for this and I filed a claim twice and they are not giving me MY CASH DEPOSIT! They are claiming it was never deposited. With no receipt in my hands it really is my word vs theirs. I have been a long time customer and just opened a business account with them a year ago, I will never do business with Bank of America again! And I sure did close all my accounts with them. I will not be back. I cannot believe Bank of America robbed me blind.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Horrid experience at local BOA location. The manager was so rude and went personal when I expressed being upset about long wait for the notary. I was offered to come back later!!! I’m beyond fed up with this bank! Can’t wait to be able to close my accounts with them.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have an excellent credit rating and had sufficient funds in my checking account when I used my debit card to pay a vendor. Without my authorization, B of A decided to decline paying this vendor (without my permission). I am astonished that they can withhold payment when I have more than adequate funds -- without even asking me! I believe this is illegal, but in these times, who knows? What I know is that I am going to change banks. They have themselves convinced this falls under "Fraud Protection." All it took was an email to verify whether this is true or not. Probably getting more interest on the "float" is the real incentive. They're terrible!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I requested to have a business account closed with Bank of America due to the other person trying to engage in fraud against me. The only money that was due to me is one hundred dollars because in order to activate a business account, one must deposit one hundred dollars into the business checking account. To their credit, they took the rest of the money out of the account, closed the account and sent me an eighty five dollar check. However, they refused to give me the fifteen dollars that is due to me saying, "A portion of the remaining balance won't be returned to you because we're determined the funds aren't due to you." How does Bank of America know that money that is due to me is not due to me? How did they determine this. Simply put, Bank of America owes me $15 dollars.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

BofA does absolutely nothing to help the consumer. I have been trying to stop recurring charges on my account after trying to go through the company and stop it that way. It has not worked and I am continuing to be charged. I have been an account holder for over 20 years and still I received absolutely no help. After an hour on the phone with BofA, they told me that there is nothing that they can do and to contact the businesses individually to stop the charges. I told them many times that I have tried this many times, yet BofA has nothing they can do.

They do absolutely nothing to protect the consumer and nothing to help you at all. I can't even get them to do something as simple as stop charges. They said that on their end it does not say recurring charges despite the fact that my statement says recurring... They kept denying that they are recurring charges and were unable to help at all. They can't do what every other bank can do. I have been a Capital One customer for only one year and they have done more for me than Bank of America has done in over 20 years.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Each month I get a check from AAP (Adoption Assistance Program) that's drawn on Bank of America. This afternoon I went to branch in Oakhurst California, like I've done many times before to cash it. Donna ** was at the window, and informed me that something's wrong with the check, and she won't cash it. She said I had to contact the issuer of the check. I went outside and called the AAP, by the way it's a Los Angeles County check. Yen, the person in charge there told me there was nothing wrong with the check. So I went back and told Donna to please go ahead and called Yen, which she refused. I also offered my social security card, or another ID, she didn't want any of it.

Finally I asked her for the number of the manager but she said she was the manager. On her card it said that she's the assistant only. She did give me a piece of paper with the name Marilee ** on it, and this phone number. I called it several times but only an answering machine picks up, doesn't say anything like who it's was. Anyways, I left a message but haven't heard back yet.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Called BoA to find out why my money were not transferred using Zelle instantly from my Chase debit card to Bank of America debit card. The first representative tried to understand what is going on by looking at my transactions. After being with her on the phone for more than 5 minutes (not including the wait time for available rep), she said that she doesn't know why the money were never transferred. Then, she said that she will transfer me to Transfer department and they will be able to help me out.

When someone else picked up the phone, that someone else wasn't the transfer department, but it was Credit card department. I had to explain the issue again. At the end, I was told that they can't help me since their department deals with only credit cards. I was transferred to another place. Machine was asking me to enter either social security number or debit card number. I entered SS# and then machine asked me to enter my debit card number. Why in the world would you ask to enter either SS or Debit Card, and then when one of them is entered, ask me again to enter the second? By the time I got my Debit card numbers (which probably took me 15 secs), machine said "Bye". WTH???

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

A few weeks ago I went inside the bank to withdraw money from my checking account. I am a senior citizen with an expired driver's license. When I went up to the teller, I was asked for a valid for license of ID. They would not allow me to withdraw from my account due to my expired driver's license. I look like the person on my driver's license. They do have a photocopy of this very license when I had opened an account with them one year ago. I asked them if they would like to see my SS#, but they said that is not valid, even though they have record of my number. I said I don't drive anymore. I was then told to go outside and withdraw my money with my ATM card. Go figure!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I feel compelled to take the time to write this review in light of my recent experience with Bank of America. So on the 20th of October I was paid my bi weekly check, so as a person that lives pay check to pay check I set out to pay my bills. Even before I start running any bills Bank Of America put my account on a fraudulent block. This caused my bills to be processed and returned, then I proceeded to go about my weekly errands. Once all my bills cleared it caused my account to be negative an excessive of $600.00. Then I called Bank of America to clear it all up and their so called customer service person proceeded to argue with me and blame me. Not once did they apologize for the mix up or offer to help fix the problem. The bank also charged me $105 dollars in overdraft fees that were caused by them. It's appalling that this is how greedy corporations conduct business...

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Bank of America is the worst. My account was recently closed from the risk department without any communication to let me know if there was fraud on my account. They just immediately closed the account. So when I got paid from my job it direct deposited into the closed account. I called the risk department to try and get access to my funds. I spoke to two agents who were suppose to do a release of funds, but the 2 never did it. I finally reached a 3rd agent. She was about to put in the request for the release of funds. I called back the next day just to see if is there anything I could to get access to my money sooner, I spoke with a supervisor. He was very rude he wouldn't even let me talk without interrupting me. He offered to send another release of funds which would take another 3 business days. I advised him that I already spoke with someone to do that. Moral of the story is I would not recommend anyone to go Bank of America.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I got a notification stating that someone had withdrawn $200 from my checking AND savings accounts. When I called in to report it the customer service rep said that I could only claim the $200 that had processed in my checking account and would have to call back to report the $200 from my savings account tomorrow. Wait... what? So the transaction is showing on my mobile app and I can't process a claim on it? Then she transfers me to claims and I waited on hold for 2 HOURS. YEP. You read that right. TWO HOURS. This bank is a joke and I feel bad for anyone that opens an account with them. I'm switching my bank tomorrow. I would give zero stars if I could.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Hi, I’m already client of Bank of America almost a year, but last week trouble starts to happen. All my deposits and saving left there in frozen account. Nobody can explain exactly why it happened. Only sorries and apologies. Saddest thing is I was traveling in NC yesterday and all my cards, personal and business are not valid anymore. I was lucky to had a tickets. All my business stops these days, most saddest thing is I can’t get my money back yet, but today is my daughter's birthday. All my reservations I can’t pay. Thank you BofA for terrible birthday for 8 years little girl, suspending and blocking all daddy’s account without explaining anything and having no responsibility to answer and care your customers. Just want to everybody know the truth bank service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I made a deposit at Bank of America. 10-14-2017 when I originally made the deposit everything went well no problems, like normal. Bank of America took 300 hundred dollars and made it available to me right away and it stated on the deposit that the remainder of the money because it was a check it will be ready on the 16th of the month, so I went ahead and paid for my cell phone bill. Come Monday I noticed a problem in my account and know it stated that the money would be ready on the 19th of the month so my wife went ahead and made arrangement to pay for the house and the car. So on the 18th I checked to make sure that the money is all set. Not only my account was in the negative, I called to see why this happen. I was told that the bank deemed that the owner of the check could return the check so now they have to hold the check till the 24th of the month, (at this time Bank of America had the funds).

I asked then why did Bank of America released fund and took them back, the check did not bounce, plus the owner of the check was willing to call them or go down to the bank to talk to them so they can release the funds and that the person that wrote the check called his bank and talked to his banker. They told him and they can show proof that the check has been cleared on their part. The customer service rep told me that I am pretty much telling a lie to them that the bank would not tell the person that wrote the check if the check has been cleared or not. There is no way anyone could know that, no remorse or sympathy. He pretty much told me that the bank will not reverse anything or do anything for me because they do not yet know if the person that wrote the check is going to say it was not him that wrote it.

Did not make any sense to me so I kindly asked him to transfer me because he kept on telling me he understand and he can’t help and no one can, and I stated to him again and again that he does not understand that I can’t be late on my mortgage payment for my car and that they have to be paid, that Bank of America does not make it clear to me that my funds will not be in. They changed the due date 3 time on me. Why, he did not know so I asked again to be transferred because he rude and heartless. Also he told me, “Yes I would transfer you but I need to set up expectation that no one is able to help you.” I told him that I did not care for his attitude and the expectation. I just wanted to talk to someone else. It is a shame a bank as big as Bank of America would treat someone in distress this way not caring if they are going to become homeless or carless.

I tell you one thing whenever you start giving people empty promises like Bank of America gave me, and how they do not care for their client well being I would urge everyone that is thinking of becoming a Bank of America customer not to do it because you will be treated like a number without regards that you are a human being. And be aware when you make a deposit. They do not stand by their due date nor would they care even though everything is on the up and up. I am 44 years of age a father of 3. I have never in my entire life been treated so badly and like this. I asked everyone to be aware of Bank of America and think twice before you do any business with them period.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My husband barely uses his debit card and forgot his pin. He went to Customer Service at the 5900 Core Ave, North Charleston, SC branch to have his pin re-issued and they asked him for a verbal passcode. Neither of us can remember ever having set up a verbal passcode. Back in July he had lost his wallet in the field (military) and needed a new debit card, so we understand they were being extra cautious. However, he presented them with his new debit card that was issued to him in July, a federal military ID and a state issued Driver License.

He looks exactly like his pictures on the IDs and he even has a picture on his debit card, yet they refused service to him because he didn't know a "verbal passcode" which is supposedly used over the phone as I found out when I called the Preferred member customer service line to complain about this incident. The person I talked to apologized profusely and said this should not have happened based on the fact he was there in person and provided IDs. So in short- Bank of America doesn't seem to care to verify the person actually standing in front of them against their IDs but would rather have a verbal passcode to verify. This entire scenario has left me absolutely flabbergasted.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Ok let me start by saying this, I have not gone negative once but they had some fraud activity in my Account. Btw I never did but the made my account negative in my checking by -800,8888. I have over 3k in my checking. My saving they did the same thing same amount and I have 3k in my saving. Well they said I have to go into the Branch to verify my account. I woke up today and I was charged 3 overdraft charges. Why would you mess with my money and affect my account. Restrict my account until I can go in. But don't touch my money. That's not yours. And then try and charge me $35 3 times. Is ridiculous, not only did they make my account go negative they affects my hard earned money.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

The FBI and the FTC ass well as the Attorney General (Pam Bondi) are all aware of the following: **, the manager of a Bank of America branch located at 18400 NW 67th Ave Hialeah Florida opened a business account on or about August 12-14, 2017 for Star Luxury Trades, Inc. (account Routing # ** Account # ** whose president/principal is a woman named Maitee **. Bank of America opened this account by requesting only a photo ID and a copy of the incorporation papers. This company is a criminal enterprise and its owner is a convicted felon who was incarcerated many times for fraud.

This company/woman stole my wife's and my $91,500 through a wire-transfer scam, which directed that amount to be sent directly to her account. The CEO and his executive assistant (see below), along with their fraud department and their attorneys are all aware of this situation. I was the person who, on Friday, Sept 1, 2017, within a few hours of learning that our money (for a real estate property) had been diverted to this sham company (through a series of email interceptions and misdirections and impersonations). Googled the company and the BeenVerified the president of the company. The company incorporated in Florida on August 12, 2017 and its president's photo ID immediately came up as a mugshot with 14 pages of info on convictions and frauds and incarcerations.

Bank of America says it cannot return the money to my wife and me because "they have to protect the privacy of their customer" and "only if the customer agrees can Bank of America return the money." Well, we are told the money is gone out of that account and Bank of America cannot get it back. Bank of America did not follow due diligence in following the procedures spelled out in both the Bank Secrecy Act Manual as well as the Patriot's Act to "Know Your Customer" and for a "Customer Identification Program." It took me less than 5 minutes to find out the identity of this thief (terrorist??) and that her company was one of two that were shams. Yet Bank of America has "to protect the privacy of their customer" - a CRIMINAL or a terrorist??? Where did our stolen money go - to North Korea? To a terrorist group??

IN this day and age -- Bank of America only needs a Photo ID and a set of papers to open a business account for someone in their bank??? What about using common sense and take two minutes to Google and BeenVerified a prospective customer before accepting their business? Here is our proposal to Bank of America - Mr. Brian T. Moynihan CEO and Karen ** -Executive Assistant). MY WIFE AND I WILL DONATE $10,000 to any organization of Bank of America's choice that is currently assisting victims of the recent hurricanes and fires and Las Vegas massacre - IF BANK OF AMERICA RETURNS OUR MONEY ($91,500) STOLEN BY ONE OF THEIR BUSINESS ACCOUNT "CUSTOMERS" - WHO IS A CONVICTED FELON USING BANK OF AMERICA AS A TOOL TO STEAL AND LAUNDER MONEY.

Bank of America can also choose to match that amount - that would be $20,000 going immediately to where it is needed most. Tell Bank of America to give the ** back their money. They are "protecting the privacy of their customer" - who, as I proved to them - is a thief and a scammer. The FBI and Homeland Security and the FTC and FCC all know about this situation, but Bank of America will not give us back our stolen $91,500... Email Mr. Brian T. Monyihan (CEO) at

brian.t.moynihan@bankofamerica.com and Karen ** (his executive assistant) at **. Or you can call Karen ** directly at ** or call **, the branch manager at **.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

In September I received a letter asking to verify my information. It was written in July and sat on a desk for six weeks. I called on September 11 and was told I was to ignore the letter as it did not pertain to me and any other that may come. I got another letter and as advised, ignored it. On Friday, October 13 I discovered my account had been put on hold as of Wednesday, October 11. I live in a rural area where all mail is post office boxes and where that address was acceptable when my employer set up the account. Suddenly two months later it was not.

Since Friday I have been repeatedly lied to, been spoken to unprofessional and told that documents from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania were not acceptable. All my mailings come to my PO Box because there is no mail delivery in my community. I own my property so there is no lease and my pay stubs all list my mailing address. I have been hung up on repeatedly and have spent over six hours on the phone to no avail. They refuse to release my pay.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

BOA is the worst! No one EVER answers the phone at ANY location in the Charlotte area. Had to call the 800 number, took them 10 minutes to get ahold of someone at a location. The lady that answered the phone was no help. All I needed was my monthly statements printed out. She stated that prints would cost $5 per month. That's ridiculous!!!

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg