Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Bank of America offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity loan, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Bank of America Reviews

Original review: March 11, 2020

Bank of America is very easy to work with, both on our mortgage and our HELOC. We've had a couple of mortgages with them and they've worked as expected. At one point our mortgage was going to go up because the escrow was getting low. We added some money to the escrow and kept our payment low because they informed well in advance about this situation.

Original review: March 2, 2020

My second mortgage was purchased by Bank of America and I was impressed at how easy they were to make payments to and deal with while they had my mortgage. Unfortunately, they sold it to a less reputable company without warning and once I wasn't a customer, stopped answering my emails. If they had excellent service, they would have continued doing so even though they sold my mortgage, but at that point they didn't care.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I've been with BofA for 30 years now. Never had any issues with anything except long waiting lines sometimes. They often ask how they can help me and they always send a review link in my emails as to how they did and what can be improved. They don't pay much for savings accounts and their loan rates are a bit pricey, but been very happy with their customer service for all these years.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had recently moved 401k money into a CMA account and was having difficulty accessing my money. I do not have an account with Bank of America but Zachary ** of the Vero Beach branch went above and beyond to find a solution to my issue without even questioning if I want to open an account with them. His concern for my issue, and his professional manner in resolving the issue were awesome and I wish I every bank I walked into had people who cared in the same way.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I stopped at the Fountain Plaza branch today to order a replacement debit card. The customer service was excellent -- prompt, attentive, thorough. My time was limited and I very much appreciated the service from Lisa ** (who said she's normally at the Transit Road office) and relationship manager Jake **. They are 10 out of 10 in my book!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: May 22, 2020

Hi. I closed a Bank of America account, and after a month of waiting for my check I find out that after rechecking with me, they sent my check on my European address (where there is no BOA). I recall The person rechecked the address and I confirmed my American address.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I'm going to vent for a second. I wanted to deposit some cash into my Bank of America account. (I've had some extra expenses on my card & knew my BOA had enough to cover but I wanted to deposit $1,000.) I drive to the bank only to see a notice on door, "Sorry, we are temporarily closed." So I call customer service & was delayed for 10 minutes with ** notifications & another 10 for someone to answer.

I asked why, she said Coronavirus. I asked why we weren't notified via email or text. She said, "We don't have a national program that notifies national for that." I say, "Seems easy to have another box checked that notifies National who notifies its customers that you care about, but will let them find out the hard way that BANK OF AMERICA IS CLOSING BANKS, even if or if not temporarily, without a word to their customers." So now we have to find a BANK OF AMERICA that is still open on our own, or wait 20-30 minutes to only get assistance that might be able to give you a number of banks that might be open.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I have been trying to retrieve my deceased mother's money from her checking account four four months. Bank of America has been absolutely horrible to deal with. My mom had money at three other institutions all of whom were easy to deal with however, Bank of America does not return phone calls or emails, Bank of America does not have a system to check in documents, bank of America's hold times to speak with someone are very long, 2 plus hours. Every time I get to speak with someone at Bank of America I think they make it hard to retrieve funds so they can use the money in the account. They are crooks. I am pretty sure.

Original review: May 6, 2020

Worse service from a Bank of America ever! I have called multiple to help my stepdad get his limit raised to pay for a/c replacement on 107 degree day and still it’s not fixed. He gave authorization but when I call back because the issue they want him to authorize again. At this point he left because he had to take his medication. So frustrating!

Original review: April 30, 2020

The 95 year old man I care for was rudely denied getting to go to the front of the line, and was hence told he had to wait in the back of the line, while he is disabled. The security guard who did so, took off her mask and smiled at our denial. When I initially approached her to ask if he could please go to the front of the line, she said and I quote "Sorry, but that's not the way the world works." Um, seriously? That is exactly how the world works! What grocery store, bank, etc., denies a handicapped elder, with weak balance who has trouble walking, and has to carry a cane, just to keep from falling down?? I went to speak with a manager and the manager said she was sorry and that she would speak with the security guard. Which was a good start. However, when I left the bank, the security guard started laughing at me, and I then asked her if she had anything to say and she said "no".

I said "You're not sorry?" She replied "For What?" I then said "For illegally denying a handicapped elder the right to go to the front of the line?" She gave me the most smug smile and then just replied "Nope". At this point the same manager who I had spoken with had then come outside to assist a costumer with some sort of ATM issue, so once she was done assisting said customer, I called on her to please come over to hear the nonsense this know nothing security guard was spewing at me. To my utter surprise, said manager, then turned to ME, and yelled "Sir, I'm going to need you to stop berating her!" Um, what?? So, asking for a mere, much due apology, when in reality, I could sue them, is "berating" someone? Wow, just, wow.

At that moment I was at a loss for words and asked her why in the world she would say that, when I was just standing up for my boss by asking for an apology. And she responded something lame along the lines of it being a "misunderstanding ". Pathetic. When I asked her what the misunderstanding was, she said quote "It doesn't matter". At this point, she was being incredibly rude and condescending to me in her tone, to which I then just looked at her and said, and said "You know what, I will be filing a formal complaint, to which she nastily replied back, "Oh, please do!".

I still can't believe this happened in principle, but am almost more shocked by the way it was then handled. The manager could've and probably should've asked the security guard to apologize, yet for some reason, didn't feel the need. Not enough managerial experience perhaps? Then, maybe this whole incident could've been overlooked. But, since they did what they did by making a 95 handicapped veteran no less, stand in the back of the line, handled it so rudely, and then didn't even have the decency to apologize? Unacceptable, period. And now I honestly am looking into suing.

Bank of America author review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor