1.10/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Bank of America Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I've been with BofA for 30 years now. Never had any issues with anything except long waiting lines sometimes. They often ask how they can help me and they always send a review link in my emails as to how they did and what can be improved. They don't pay much for savings accounts and their loan rates are a bit pricey, but been very happy with their customer service for all these years.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had recently moved 401k money into a CMA account and was having difficulty accessing my money. I do not have an account with Bank of America but Zachary ** of the Vero Beach branch went above and beyond to find a solution to my issue without even questioning if I want to open an account with them. His concern for my issue, and his professional manner in resolving the issue were awesome and I wish I every bank I walked into had people who cared in the same way.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: July 17, 2019

Great service. Easy to apply for loan online. Great rates & terms. BOA is very loyal to their customers! Excellent customer service too! We got both our auto loan & home mortgage through Bank of America. We have been highly satisfied customers of BOA since 2003!

Original review: June 24, 2019

I stopped at the Fountain Plaza branch today to order a replacement debit card. The customer service was excellent -- prompt, attentive, thorough. My time was limited and I very much appreciated the service from Lisa ** (who said she's normally at the Transit Road office) and relationship manager Jake **. They are 10 out of 10 in my book!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I initially applied for this card after using their card finder tool. It displayed here are your offers. I was instantly denied on reconsideration. Call a helpful analyst. Advised me opening a savings account with Bank of America would help. I opened it and applied again after being prompted to do so upon completion of opening my savings account. After a few days of the card being in review and confirmation of savings account being open I called back and the analyst said he didn’t see the savings account being open yet but denied the application. At first this disappointed me but my husband suggested writing an email to the executive department. I doubted it would help but to humor him I did. He found an email address for Mr. Brian **. I emailed him and explained my circumstances and asked for reconsideration.

A few days later I received a call from Mr. Moynihan himself. At first I couldn’t talk so I asked him to call me back. Knowing now that he is the CEO and Bank president I am actually surprised he did call back. After a 10 min conversation he indicated he was going to approve me for the card with a small starting limit. I am thankful for the chance and am confident it will grow. The commitment This Gentleman has for his customers is far superior than anyone else in the banking community. Leaps and bounds above Douglas Tabish at American Express who feels it is beneath him to reply to an email or even place a call to a customer but instead calls his assistant and instructs her to do his dirty work. Mr. Moynihan’s Integrity and commitment is something other CEO’s can learn from. I will be a lifelong loyal customer for now on and refer all of my friends and family in the future to Bank of America. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Their customer service is absolute trash. There is never any actual help. I had a claim opened with them and they never contacted me once as it was explained to me to gather the facts, proof and etc to support me in this. Not only did they deny me my claim (while I have all of the proof) they also have all of the information on the thief I got scammed by. His name, bank info, location. It’s great knowing that they’re there to protect the bad guys. I will be looking for other bank options from here on out. Waste of 10 years.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

My wife and I had been injured and could not work. Our mortgage was 127k when BofA began helping, when they sold it our mortgage had grown to nearly 200k. We needed a loan mod. They sent the mod. papers. We followed the instructions and returned the papers only to be told that we did not send what they needed or things were missing so many times I lost count yet would not tell us what was needed or missing. We sent all that was asked for time and time again. Our mortgage is go up the whole time. The company who bought the mortgage modified the loan the first time. No problem. By that time b of a stolen all they could from us and moved to the next victim. They need to be in jail.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Age can be a cruel partner, especially when dealing with Bank Of America. Is there a Support of Elder Abuse clause written in the handbook for aspiring employees? I have had to endure the endless avenues of deception that seem to be common practice in deflecting responsibility in the banks wrongdoing. I am not even sure where to start, the list is as long Tolstoy’s War and peace has pages, or the last two years of my life (this started in April 2017). So I think a few characteristic excerpts will give you a fine idea…

My Mother, suffering the devastating loss of her husband (who managed the household and all the bills) and rendered incapable of making any sort of financial decisions due to the advanced stage of Dementia and a brain tumor had all of her Social Security Monies stolen via fraudulently written checks. As I awaited for doctors letters to activate my POA, My mother's checks were stolen and I went into the bank and asked them to freeze her account, not to take out money, not to see a balance just to report that I knew there was Fraud being committed and the monies that were disappearing was all my mothers Social Security Benefits. I met with two different Bank executives, both of which did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

I was ignored, my report ignored and the fraudulent abuse went on depleting the remaining funds of a dying woman. Later on it became clear that Bank of America is a band of unethical thieves, with zero accountability and for the most part supported an evil act of Elder Abuse. And this my friends is when the fun really started. BOA clearly had no intention of paying my claim, hearing the facts or acknowledging their mistake. They played it off on another departments lack of responsibility and was kicked down the hallway to yet another department, over and over.

It doesn’t take much to understand that there is a certain technique of avoidance to wear the violated customer down. I had to prove my eligibility of being a POA, then as a Trustee, which they would not accept because they wanted me to Probate the Estate which under California Civil Law # 13100-13115, there was no need for that. I then sent medical records that stated that my mother was incapacitated for 5 years, her brain surgeon noted that she had been unable to deal with finances or write checks for this whole time period. BofA, then said it was her signature, on dates that she was in the hospital having brain surgery… Shall we all just let that sink in. In order to send BofA these documents you need to fax them not email. In the 21st century… email still sounds futuristic in the halls of the mighty BOA.

They take 48hours to be logged and acknowledged. When checking in to make sure that the fax had been received in the appropriate department they could not be located and the request to resend the 100 plus page document was repeated (4 times)... Well, how often can one fax a telephone book without growing resentful? I have asked for accounting and statements, which has been ignored repeatedly. I cannot tell you how disgusting BofA is to harm an incapacitated human leaving her desolate without money and never even attempting to get to the bottom of the claim. On a different note the perpetrators are being prosecuted for this crime. The police seemed to figure it out, but still BofA is in denial.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Applied for auto loan 2 months ago, nobody called me and every time I call they apology and said, "Will update you sir," and again no call back and every time please upload documents and different issues, Really worst customer service ever I had.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Brandon ** Wed, Jun 27, 2018, 10:13 PM to takeittoakin. Hello, Have you ever lost your credit card and feared for your financial future? This is not your typical story about credit card fraud. Let’s start the story at the Houston Police Head Quarters in downtown Houston. This experience started with the routine metal detector and waiting time that you might experience in any government building. Initially, I went to file a police report for a current fraud case with Bank of America, but after the procedural forms and Police Report I wanted more.

I called the financial crimes unit but never got in touch with the investigator. There was a pit in my stomach that was bothering me; so, that day I asked and was later escorted to the financial crimes unit (ready to solve this case!). I filed a police report almost a month before when I noticed all the unusual activity, but after calling multiple times with several unanswered messages, I felt it my duty as the victim to get retributions. My dedication to the case was met politely with some notes taken and a comment, “We don’t accept walk-ins”.

If you have ever had a bank account balance that didn’t seem right, consequently your eyes were forced to scroll down to look for every fee that you didn’t notice. That feeling started on a Friday almost a month before. I immediately called to alert my bank. I was very honest and told them I still had my card and didn’t know how anyone was using it. The copy of the police report I was getting was necessary now, because Bank of America had already declined my fraud claim. It took them three weeks to decline the claim without any legitimate reasoning.

I begged them to let me talk to the Bank of America investigator to explain how this couldn’t be me. Every time I called explaining how this case had been opened for over a month, how I sent them my timesheet and police report, the scripted jargon ensued, “I’m so sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, we don’t have a number for you to call the investigator, no one does. What I can do for you is put a note asking to expedite your case and have the investigator call you.”

While I was waiting for the news on my second fraud claim I got a call. It was an investigator, but not the one I was hoping for. The financial crimes unit got back to me. The gentleman was very interested and apologetic, explaining how their cases ranged in the thousands, and the investigators numbering in the teens. After a police investigator took my case and I submitted a timesheet (and work number to validate). The Bank of America claim was denied again. The investigator for Bank of America inferred that I obviously had my card and was lending it to someone else, or I must be giving out my pin number to someone.

I called three times a week for over two months after filing a police report. I did my own investigation while Bank of America’s ‘investigator’ did theirs and found at least four transactions a day for a period of a week. These transactions were almost exclusively in ATM’s inside of Valero gas stations (one happened inside a shell). The person that conducted these transactions was most likely caught on tape of these stores he visited. Before the withdrawals the crook would check the account balance then withdraw sixty dollars, four consecutive times a day. Why wouldn’t I make one transaction instead of four for sixty dollars? I will tell you why bank of America, it was because it was an unauthorized user!

I have learned a lot about credit card fraud and I think the people of Houston need to know the situation they are in. I would love to get my story and fight against Bank of America out to other Houstonians. Credit Card Fraud is growing and banks are not giving consumers the 0% liability that federal law requires. If you’re interested in publishing the story please feel free to contact me either by phone or email. Brandon **

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg