4.0/5 (1435 ratings)

About Bank of America

Bank of America (NMLS #399802) offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available both online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity line of credit, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Bank of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I made atm deposit from my Fidelity account, BOA floated the money on hold for 12 days and said it was company policy. Worst company I ever dealt with, should illegal to be allowed to hold your money that they took from my account.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

2 modification: Failed to carry over the Escrow to bring the loan current: They add any interest, escrow, fees, and expenses to the principal balance: Modification is that the loan is brought current. Once the payment is received they have the right to apply or delay:

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

In May of this year, I applied for a work from home job by ASH. In June of this year, I unknowingly fell for a job scam where I applied and got hired by a company American Specialty Health as a digital health coach or so I thought and was sent 2 checks of 4992.00 each which was supposed to buy the equipment that I needed for my new position with the company. The interview took place via text on Microsoft Teams app. Then I was instructed to send the deposited money from my checking account electronically to my so called team leader Ashley ** and to a vendor by the name of Sherrie ** via Zelle and Cash App. Ashley wanted me to process a 3rd check but I was alerted by BOA that my account was overdrawn by 6k. I had to file a claim, BOA sent me a new debit card and they seemed to care…for the time being.

They took their sweet time “investigating” and doing “research” but I was shocked that they pre-approved the fake checks when I barely had anything in there to begin with and they had the nerve to victim shame me as well as blame me for the crime itself plus they wouldn’t tell me who or where the money was electronically sent to. They sent me 2 temporary credits which became permanent which didn’t make a difference because my account was frozen. They also sent me over 8k in temporary credits from Cash App but they strongly denied it and called me a liar even after I faxed them all of the paperwork, police report and other reports.

I also filed a police report, a report through the IL Attorney General, Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. And surprisingly around that time frame, there a pending class action lawsuit involving BOA, Zelle and whoever they're associated with. Then I found out that they not only pick and choose who they help out in similar cases like mine but they have a long history of doing this. My friend who works at a bank told me that they weren’t supposed to pre-approve checks without verifying to see if it’s legit. He told me that he had a friend who went through the same thing but got out of it after he submitted a police report and proof to collections which I’m going to do the same thing since I still have everything from the paperwork the scammers had me fill out and send back to them as well as everything BOA sent me.

To this day, I think it was an inside job because I did some investigating of my own and come to find out that the real Ashley is currently serving her 20+ year prison sentence for murder and I have the newspaper article as proof as well as the phone numbers that I was contacted from. They need to be held accountable because this isn’t right at all plus they continued to tell me that I was protected by their $0 Liability Guarantee but yet I was sent 2 claim denial letters along with an approval claim letter but yet y’all want me to pay back 6k that I don’t owe?! I don’t think so!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I got more than 3 years with this bank, and they hold any time they want my money and say is for pending reviews then after weeks put clear again and keep going doing this game every time they want, I chose to move to other bank because I don’t feel my money is secure with this cheating bank, also they got the bad customer service I am experiencing in US. They don’t care the loyalty client even if are business accts, really take a moment before open an acct with this bank, they don’t deserve your loyalty. Poor services and poor secure, they say you got the control in your money but they lie, don't be scammed for Bank of America. Use another bank.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I am in Week 3 of trying to get my paycheck which was deposited into my acct that was closed due to fraudulent activity. Trying to call is a joke, and going to Mid Rivers, 5th St. location is a total waste of time. I was told the $ taken from Zelle $1989.00 would be refunded. It hasn't. As I'm typing this I have been on hold for 35 min (this time). I've been calling MR location since 0900 and at 12:05 someone answered with no resolution, and I even had a 1300 appt. Come to find out Monte' left for the day so when was someone going to call me.

The gentleman that kept calling me back had no answers to why the money sitting in my CLOSED ACCT has yet to be transferred to my new acct. It's been 3 weeks. Everything that needed to be looked over I am sure it's done. I have several accounts and Credit Cards, but looks like to me since you can NEVER simply contact someone, and the fact they close at 4, and most locations are no longer around. I and my family and whatever friends I can get in contact with will be removing our funds from this "Business", and I use that term wisely.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

If you look at the many reviews below, you'll read the personal details of how terrible this bank is. They don't care about the customer. The customer is a number and they just don't care. They are so big and so large that they know they can treat you however they feel like. If they want to lock you out of your account and call it a "system issue" then they can do so. If they want to charge you excessive fees, then they can also do that. Like many other, I've been with this bank for over 20 years. I tried sending some money to family via BillPay and my account got locked. I call them, hold for a long time and then they transfer me to the fraud department who can't help and send me back to the online banking department who also can't help and then cut the call.

I call back, hold for more time, speak to online banking who then transfers me to the fraud department who says that I'll get a temporary password via mail. So, I wait about a week to get a temporary password through the U.S. Mail. I then use it and it doesn't work! I call back and then they finally are able to fix it. I get into my account and send money to family again since it got shut down the first time. I'm hopeful and it says it will get to them in a week. Great, it's already 2 weeks late but at least it's finally going. I go to login today and my account is locked out again on the first try logging in too! I call them and reach online banking who transfers me to the fraud department and then I get a message that says the fraud department is closed and the phone cuts off.

I call back and after holding for quite some time again I get online banking who tells me they have to transfer me to the fraud department. I tell them that they're closed and they tell me "no, that department is open 24 hours a day." This agent was kinder and actually verified that they could reach someone at the fraud department except that they discovered that the fraud department was closed. They then tell me that it must be a "system issue" and that I'll need to contact the fraud department on the next business day which is 3 days away. So, I can't access my online banking for at least 3 days.

Thankfully, there are more options for banking and I only have an old account with them that I don't use as a primary account. There are SO MANY better banks and credit unions. Do some research and get a bank that has better customer service, reimburses you for any ATMs, and pays you interest to hold your money and doesn't have minimum requirements to keep your account open. Ally Bank comes to mind as a far superior bank. But don't take my word for it, do some research on bankrate.com to find so many better options than this terrible goliath of a bank.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

Trying to get this credit card I have with them off of my credit report. They won't budge. So I reported them to the CFPB, BBB, OCC, and federal reserves since they like to play games with me. They are horrible.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

Bank of America has the poorest customer service. The wait time to speak to an agent is just ridiculous and they are rude...I needed a bank reference letter from bank of america so I called customer service to request it, the rep told me that it will take 6 business days to get the letter, I waited. 10 days later I still haven't received anything from them. I called again that new rep told me to go to the branch to get the letter, then I went to the branch to request the letter Raoul the branch manager of the Hollywood fl location told me to call customer service because they don't have access to this type of paper and dismissed me, he don't even gave me a chance to asked why.

While I was at the branch I called customer service and waited on the phone for 22 minutes I was told that the branch should be able to order it for me to asked them to call the back office... Now the rep from the branch called customer service. They told her no that the customer should call instead to request the paper. Once again I called customer service just to get the same answer... asked to talk to a manager which name is Mike, he told me there is nothing he can do other for me to wait now 10 BUSINESS DAYS, just to get a simple reference letter.

I've been doing business for at least 15 years, but in the last 2 years their customer service has been the worst. The employees are rude and unhappy about their job. Bank of america you just lost one more customer, I'll bring my business where people value me as a person and my business. It make no sense in 2022 for me to wait 10 business days to get a letter while other bank give it to me in a blink of an eyes!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

After being a dedicated and loyal customer of Bank of America for 26 years, they turned around and stole $1386 from my account in September 2022 and said it was in my contact was I opened the account. This all happened in 2020 of April when my account was closed and I reopen another one after Bank of America told me it was OK and they understand that’s a global pandemic hit people very hard and now they turned around and took 1386 without any prior notification. Bank of America is a criminal enterprise that needs to be closed down.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Please do not get a credit card with those people. They have the worst customer service. They card is a scam. People lose their money. After telling them, I didn’t want a card they sent me, they tried convincing me that I had an account with them even when I didn’t use or activate the card. The workers did not correctly train, giving me false information. That one star I give them should be half a star.

Bank of America author review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor