1.86/5
Based on 482 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

3865 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

I believed a account to be closed. To my surprise there was hundreds of dollars in fees in my account. As I went to discuss this problem I was initially treated with a lot of respect by the representative. As I needed his boss to try to help the situation things went downhill quickly. I was told I was lying that in no way could one of his employees make a mistake or give me bad information and that he refused to help the problem the bank made. I do not recommend using the branches in Fairless Hills for any problems that might arise with your banking. I don't recommend Bank of America any longer either as the issues I was having were unexpected fees due to changes made in my bank account. I was suddenly being charged fees I was never charged before and had decided to close my accounts. This equals legal theft in my opinion.

Original review: June 14, 2018

For nearly 8 months, my EDD debit card issued through Bank of America has fallen victim to fraudulent withdrawals totally nearly $1600. I contacted EDD, so informed me I needed to deal directly with BOA. BOA suggested that I file a police report and circle the transactions I insisted I did not conduct. They told me they were confident the funds could recover. However, shortly thereafter I was told that BOA made the determination that the transactions were not fraudulent and closed the case.

This was after EDD and the company that manages the ATMs at those specific grocery stores and 7-11's contacted BOA on my behalf to back up my claims of fraud and all of us were quickly dismissed. What's interesting is that it was physically impossible for me to have made these withdrawals from Jon's, Von's and various 7-11 locations in Los Angeles. Why? I was working in a location not remotely close to where any of these transactions took place. I'm pretty sure this is not the first or last time this has occurred with a BOA customer collecting Unemployment benefits via debit card. I'm even more confident that it is an inside job as the withdrawals would take place immediately after the funds were deposited.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My tax refund check was stolen (I believe by a postal worker) on May 4, 2018, and taken to Bank of America on 14th and Union Square in New York where they were allowed to not only open a checking account with my check (in my name) but also withdraw all the funds before Bank of American closed the account due to "fraudulent activities" (keep in mind I have never had a Bank of America account) the person had NO social security number, no utility or phone bill as proof of address. They created a fake date of birth (WRONG).

Fake email address (WRONG) and had a fake Dominican Republic passport which should have thrown red flags then and there. I only found out about the checking account because Bank of America sent a letter to my home stating they closed my account due to fraudulent activities (WHAT ACCOUNT)! I called their fraud department and opened a claim immediately. I went into a branch and spoke to several managers which all said the same thing "this is not our practice to open accounts without a social security number and proper documentation".

I had so many questions like "why was this person able to use a DR passport to claim US taxes." They are not citizens and therefore unable to work here and collect taxes without a work visa which they DID NOT HAVE! "Why wouldn't your employee put a hold on the check and confirm with the IRS the information given"? It's very clear that this was identity theft as well as a federal offense. Now Bank of America is telling me it will take 90 days to conduct an investigation!!! It didn't take 90 days for your employee to open this fake account and let this person steal my money (I also believe that a bank employee is in on the scam). I worked hard all year and was excited to receive my check because I have a terminally ill mother who's medication is expensive. I depended on that money to make things a little more comfortable for her and this person took that away and what is the bank doing about it?

I called yesterday to inquire about my claim (which is now over three weeks ago) and they said the same things they are trained to say "I'm sorry this happened to you and the case has been assigned to an analyst who is working on it". I don't want to hear what you are reading from a manual! Tell me where we are in the case, did you call in the representative that opened the account? Did you pull video surveillance from the ATM machines the person used? The bank sent me a statement last week of all the activities and withdraws. The thief withdrew four large amounts within a 2 day period and that's when the red flag went up. I am beyond disgusted with Bank of America.

They call themselves an upstanding financial establishment who are here to protect your finances and instead they are just as bad as the thieves that stole it! I also put in a claim with the IRS to let them know what is going on and that I never cashed the check that it was indeed stolen and cashed by someone else and they agree that it is the responsibility of Bank of America to replace the money since they were the ones who so carelessly and negligently accepted, deposited and cashed the check without the proper identification. When I asked was it the practice of the bank to allow accounts to be open without social security numbers they had the nerve to say maybe the representative became nervous or maybe they were new! WAIT WHAT NOW!!! Nervous or new? if nervous then practice should've been to ask the client to wait and go to a manager.

If new the practice should've been to ask the client to wait and go to a manager!!! The lame excuses were given to someone who worked in the financial district for 6 years (ME). I just want my money back as soon as possible. I want Bank of America to acknowledge their colossal mistake and treat me like the victim (I am) and work to resolve this disgrace in a timely matter. I also have claims into the post office where I live since I truly believe this was an inside job. I've never had problems with my mail and my box was not tampered with. I was also told that had I been a Bank of America client, I would have had my money replaced already.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I'm definitely closing my account! I was scammed by an online retail company. I've provided all documents stating that I've tried to reach out to the company so that I could return and refund, even provided an email with false claims from this vendor, and because the company didn't respond, according to BOA, that's in the companies favor! If that's the case, all scammers can do that. I'm done with this bank and going to Capital One! : )

Original review: June 11, 2018

Second time opening an account with Bank of America. Complete disappointment in their lack of professionalism and consumerism. Missed 1 payment due to the fact that they failed to let me know it takes 2 billing cycles before automatic payments occurred. Spoke with a credit specialist and customer support to try and fix the issue. I was mislead with incorrect information once again.

The customer representative said it was their fault they waived the fees, and then transferred me to credit support for a dispute. Donna (credit specialist) told me because they waived the fees, I would not qualify for the option to have the hard inquiry removed from my credit, according to her it was it was either or not both. I escalated it to a manager, Alexis, very rude unhelpful. In the end said she would not remove it. I did not even receive a phone call, or any type of notification prior to the late payment marked on my credit report. Second time having issues with Bank of America, first time I closed my debit account with them indefinitely. Proven they are thieves and a dishonest business. Definitely not fair in lending.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: June 11, 2018

Never in my life have I ever had so much problems with a bank! I just got this card 3 weeks ago. My card was blocked a week later. They never knew why or they couldn’t get into my ** account at all!! After waiting on hold for a rep for an hour or over EVERY TIME mind you They told me 2 weeks later it was because there’s a fraud report!!! So I just got my card activated. 3 days pass and guess what! Now my card is blocked AGAIN!!! I tried to pull out money to see if it was just the place I was at but nope my ** PIN is wrong when I used that same PIN multiple times!! Now my card is declining. I cannot use it anywhere. I tried to use it as credit like I’ve done before. NOPE! Decline! I have over a thousand in the card so I know for a fact it’s not because my money is low.

I’m low on gas! I cannot fill my car up for work tomorrow!! Debit card are vital. I cannot afford my card to decline every other week because of this ** bank! People can not afford their banks to do this. We have bills. Bills do Not wait for you!!! If I can give Bank of America no stars I WOULD! This bank is the worst! I’m definitely closing this bank out and getting a new one. I haven’t even been with them a month yet and I’m going through HELL with these people! So yes I will definitely tell you to not do business with them! Save yourself the headache!

Original review: June 9, 2018

I bought a house recently -- just barely, with BofA inflicting great misery, humiliation and incompetence on me. 1. I went personally to BofA to explain the circumstances before I traveled to the new location outside the US. Actually all that was needed was a transfer from my BofA savings account to the realtor's BofA escrow account. I showed my accounts to the genuinely helpful assistant at my location. The sum I needed to transfer had been resting in my savings account for months. Fine, fine, thanks for coming in. 2. I have had BofA accounts for 22 years. 3. Communication is difficult in the new location. That is true mostly of cellphones NOT registered locally and erratic Wifi availability. I pointed out that the casualness and dependability of American technological communication is not possible there.

At the signing I transferred the money (50K) and blap everything shut down. The money was not sent. I begged for tolerance, got it grudgingly, but for the next WEEK got no help from BofA, OR would get 3rd hand assurances and then no transfer, no telephone call, nothing. Each morning I would call the bank, usually 25-35 times with no answer PERIOD nor any answering machine. Nothing. It was a nightmare. Any exception was a merry-go-round of robots making inane statements leading nowhere. On the one or two times I did manage to contact the helpful assistant she did genuinely try to straighten things out. However, it was obvious to me that she was receiving no back-up, no support, no help day after day.

When I got back to the US I found this email: "Reference number **. This servicing email is being sent to you regarding activity on your account ending in **. Our monitoring systems detected an online transaction dated May **, 2018 in the amount of $50,000. Please contact us IMMEDIATELY to verify the validity of this transaction at ** Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern. If we do not receive a confirmation call that this transaction is authorized, we may stop the transaction. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please do not reply to email as this mailbox is not monitored."

That is disgraceful: badly written, unclear, offering almost no genuine routes for assistance, demanding my immediate action? OK, I get the message. BofA has zero interest in assisting regular, noncorporate customers, even ones with a history, and frankly, some assets that BofA can see. I assume they would prefer I just go away. But if they put me through outrageous, humiliating, Catch-22 experiences first, oh well, so what. They really have no interest.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have a checking account with BOA which I did not use and at least 4 years. They started charging $12 service fee monthly and mistakenly my wife choose this account for Amex credit payment which resulted in $35 overdraft. Amex reversed the charges but BOA did not reverse their $35 overdraft and with service fee standing now at $24 I have $ 50 that need to pay BOA. I called the pathetic call center for to listen to the script. I spoke with the manager who was also did not go off script but was also condescending. According to him one notice within the statement last year in October should have been enough. Long story short I owe BOA $50 for nothing. Who says you can't create money out of nothing. Good Job.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have been a customer for 18 years. I go out of my way to get to the bank because the closest one to my house is 40-45 min away. Well yesterday I was trying to deal with an issue with a fee I was charged and customer service was Awful, I then spoke to a supervisor and she was even worse!! They don't care about us! They did help me in the past but this time was not my fault and were NOT willing to do anything for me! With all the fees they charge for overdraft, monthly fees and any other fees is how they make money on us and I AM DONE! I am going today to a NEW bank to open up new accounts, not that BOA will care because if they did they would have helped me and the supervisor wouldn't have said, "Well if we have to lose you..."

Original review: June 8, 2018

I just bought a new car and financed 50% with BOA. The auto is in my wife's name. After 2 hrs of attempting to set up an online account to make the payments, We finally got a live person on the phone. After answering the appropriate ID and account questions she was asked for the license plate # from a car she bought in 2004 and sold in 2008. Obviously that being 8 cars ago she failed the correct response. We were told we could only pay by phone monthly. No other option except to bring three IDs to a branch inconveniently miles away. Simply horrible customer service. I plan to pay the balance on Monday and screw the loan. I do not need this runaround. I usually use JPMorgan Private bank but this was set up by the dealer with a favorable APR. Never a problem with JPM Private bank.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have used Bank of America for both personal and business checking and a variety of savings accounts for 15+ years. On the front end, the staff at the bank are very attentive and caring people so this is not directed at them. But at least 4 times in the past 3 months, Bank of America has processed checks set up in the "bill pay" feature 1, 2 and even 3 days before they were supposed to be processed which has led to overdrafts because the funds were not present. Because they were scheduled to transfer the day that I wanted to have them processed not when BofAm decided to have them processed. In the past 5 years, only once was a check/payment processed one day in advance so on the front end it appears that Bank of America has found one more way to take a hefty "overdraft fee" on an overdrawn account.

Of course, this affects credit scores with the bank and those debtors who have to reprocess a payment which usually also has a steep penalty fee. Because of this, as a safeguard, I have larger bills set to be paid at least 2 days after I want them to be processed just to be safe. The other good news about the staff at the local branch have reversed several of the charges. Again, staff great, bill pay feature left wanting... It can be much better. When I confronted the staff/branch manager she said that they want to make sure that the bills get there on or before the date I set the deduction to be withdrawn on, "to make sure it gets paid." I'm not buying that story considering that money and payments are transferred instantaneous in today's computer/electronic/internet world. Has anyone else had this experience?

Original review: June 5, 2018

Typical experience with Bank of America involves waiting long periods to speak to any customer service agent and a complete unwillingness to find flexibility in resolving problems. Having had repeated problems with unauthorized deductions from my account, and having misplaced my verbal password, both my debit card and checking account have been placed on hold until I can get to a bank branch. Normally this would be a perfectly normal request, save for the fact that I am wheelchair bound, having great difficulty traveling outside my apartment. While I offered to email any number of copies of photo identity documents, none of these was acceptable. Ultimately, I will have to get assistance in getting to a bank branch, with administrators of the service apparently having no interest in providing help in difficult situations.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Countless times now and I mean every other transaction I do this. Bank wants to put restrictions on my account and put a hold on everything for what they call unusual activity. Really! When does buying a few things off eBay under my own account then going to the atm and putting in my own pin in unusual activity. This is and has been a major inconvenience. After sitting on hold for over an hour making me late for scheduled appointments, a CS rep wants to say, "Sorry sir but it's for your protection." I can understand a couple of times but now sorry isnt good enough!

When I specifically say I dont need your security coming in between me and my funds please remove any security features which restricts my account from being accessed. That means STOP with the unnecessary BS. This has gotten way out of hand after speaking with a dozen reps and them saying this will not happen again that I will receive a text to ok the transactions and will not have to call in. Well that never happened. In fact I never received a text or email just another restriction.

HEADS UP BANK OF AMERICA. FIX YOUR STUPID FRIGGIN FRAUD DEPT AND FIX THIS MAJOR PROBLEM. THESE RESTRICTIONS HAVE YET TO help me in any certain way and has only served to piss my off time and time again! Get your head out from every transaction I do and being some watchdog of referee over every transaction that I do or lose another customer. I've never had this type of service before nor do I want it and I'll be damned if I keep tolerating it!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

BOA has consistently missed the payment due dates on Bill Pay items that require a paper check to be mailed. One payment check never arrived. When I complained to BOA, they blamed the Postal Service, and have not been responsive in doing anything to correct the problem. Therefore, the Bill Pay service is only reliable, in my experience, if the payments are processed electronically. BOA should process and mail the paper checks more in advance of the due dates.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I made a deposit. The bank accepted the deposit and made an amount available and put the rest on hold to be available on a certain date. It's printed on my receipt what day it would be available. That day came and they put the entire check on hold and did not honor the availability date. Keep in mind, several bankers called and verified funds. The other institution verified it had already been paid. The point is, don't be a ** teller and lie to people by printing inaccurate receipts. The other point is, act like you're a human when talking to a customer. Customers aren't robots. The last point is, if you have been paid on a check, don't hold the customer's money way past the date you said you would make it available. Horrible business experience with this bank. Absolutely horrible.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I owe these people money, but they have refuse to send me a bill or statement. It's not much but it's an outstanding bill! When I called (or even went over to the bank) all they do is tell me to log on to a site I have ZERO access too. I have no clue what my account number is. I have NO BILL OR STATEMENT! After waiting two years, I just gave up. I think they sold it to some mouse-house bill collector and I refuse to respond to any of them, because most of them are frauds (I lost money to them in the past, then found out it was a fraud from the government). So far it's not on my credit. But I want a bill or statement, something that actually says I owe the money how much!

Original review: May 26, 2018

Whenever I have a problem I can usually handle it over the phone. I have several accounts and I wanted them all linked online. It took me about 15 minutes over the phone to link 3 accounts and close one.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Long time customer. Good for free checking. Tied with my savings outside for better return with my charge card into my checking. Works well. I get extra cash. That is nice. Never a problem.

Original review: May 25, 2018

So, I am not a customer of Bank of America, nor will I ever be. My truck was broken into and a paycheck addressed to me was stolen. I had already deposited it in my account mobily. The person who robbed me wrote my name on the back of the check and paid it to the order of themselves, or likely to a person's identity they stole. Turns out Bank of America approved the check, gave the thief MY money, which in turn was taken out of my current bank account since it was deposited twice. Should I have destroyed the check after depositing it mobily, yes. Should Bank of America blindly have taken a third party check with no questions, no. How could they have let this happen? Was a teller in on it? Either way I will be contacting a lawyer.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have had a great experience with mortgage, auto loan, credit card, and banking services. The bank apps are easy to use and secure except Bill Pay which can be confusing. I do have my retirement IRA roll-over with them that gives me a higher customer status, includes better loan rates and cash back on credit cards.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Online access is a nightmare. Incorrect information submitted to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau against customers. Refuses to correspond in writing. Unethical practices and horrible customer service.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I really wish there were no fees at the Bank of America. I'm on a special safe balance account which has no overdraft charges, but a 4.95 fee each month. That fee is a waste of my money.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The credit card they offer is great and I would have loved to have kept it but wasn't able to in the consolidation. The points they offered were great and I'd love another one.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I like the tellers we have here. They are great at customer service and it is the main reason I use this bank. Security for your credit card is pretty good at Bank Of America too.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Bank of America refuses to allow online access, then penalize customers. They have outrageous fees and they arbitrarily reduce customer credit lines to intentionally harm credit scores. No responsibility to customers.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have had numerous accounts and mortgages with BofA over the past 30 years. Bank of America used to be a World Class Bank. I can no longer profess this to my clients and renters. I used refer people to use BofA but I no longer do so. I have been given contacts to resolve issues. This worked for awhile, however after a period time. New and the old issues would reoccur. As I communicated with the local branch... If they could not resolve my issues. I would resolve them myself, by move accounts away from BofA. Thus far, I have close 3 accounts, and move my money market to other banks which appear to want my business.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have banked with BofA for nearly 8 years and the first 5 of them were just fine - free checking, linked savings, only requirement at the time was to always use ATM services in order to avoid teller charges. Ok, no problem there. Then I began seeing charges on my checking account, which was no longer a free account, apparently that type of checking account no longer exists so I was moved into the fee based checking. Not happy about this at all, but as long as I kept money in my savings and maintained regular direct deposits I would be fine.

Now, I am seeing $12 monthly checking fees, $5 monthly savings fees and instead of my automatic transfer from checking to savings each month being canceled due to low balance, my savings account gets charged $24 in overdraft protection - from my own transfer!! This charge did not go to cover anything! On the bright side, I closed my accounts today. My kids closed their accounts. My husband is closing his account this week. We have had enough. No more games, no more giving our money away to random charges and maintenance fees. Done.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Been with Bank of America for many years. As a Preferred Customer I experience many useful perks. The savings rates for CD's, regular savings and checking is dismal if any. I have always been treated well at my branch and with my BOA Visa. Security is excellent.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Very displeased with the inside banking customer service, the lines are excessive during peak days, hours. Refuse to have more than 2 tellers on to operate all including drive through. Excessive fees. Nasty attitudes.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Been with BOA since it was LaSalle Bank - sorry we still are! I state "sorry we are" for a few reasons. First off, there is NO customer service anymore - it's gone by the wayside in our estimation. I think the final crux was the taking away of the drive up teller windows. We are all for times changing and the like but we are paying for these services and, as such, we seek these services if we so choose. If we don't utilize those services then that would be our choice - not the banks. Not when we're paying, in our opinions, for something no longer available. Further, now it is only just ATMs and here again two ATMs doesn't account for enough machines for usage - not when cars are lined up. Very disgusted with this bank for sure! Eventually looking to say bye-bye but, as with anything, other items on our to-do presently take precedence but we will make this change in the near-term!

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg