1.13/5

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

4356 Bank of America Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I've been with BofA for 30 years now. Never had any issues with anything except long waiting lines sometimes. They often ask how they can help me and they always send a review link in my emails as to how they did and what can be improved. They don't pay much for savings accounts and their loan rates are a bit pricey, but been very happy with their customer service for all these years.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had recently moved 401k money into a CMA account and was having difficulty accessing my money. I do not have an account with Bank of America but Zachary ** of the Vero Beach branch went above and beyond to find a solution to my issue without even questioning if I want to open an account with them. His concern for my issue, and his professional manner in resolving the issue were awesome and I wish I every bank I walked into had people who cared in the same way.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I stopped at the Fountain Plaza branch today to order a replacement debit card. The customer service was excellent -- prompt, attentive, thorough. My time was limited and I very much appreciated the service from Lisa ** (who said she's normally at the Transit Road office) and relationship manager Jake **. They are 10 out of 10 in my book!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I initially applied for this card after using their card finder tool. It displayed here are your offers. I was instantly denied on reconsideration. Call a helpful analyst. Advised me opening a savings account with Bank of America would help. I opened it and applied again after being prompted to do so upon completion of opening my savings account. After a few days of the card being in review and confirmation of savings account being open I called back and the analyst said he didn’t see the savings account being open yet but denied the application. At first this disappointed me but my husband suggested writing an email to the executive department. I doubted it would help but to humor him I did. He found an email address for Mr. Brian **. I emailed him and explained my circumstances and asked for reconsideration.

A few days later I received a call from Mr. Moynihan himself. At first I couldn’t talk so I asked him to call me back. Knowing now that he is the CEO and Bank president I am actually surprised he did call back. After a 10 min conversation he indicated he was going to approve me for the card with a small starting limit. I am thankful for the chance and am confident it will grow. The commitment This Gentleman has for his customers is far superior than anyone else in the banking community. Leaps and bounds above Douglas Tabish at American Express who feels it is beneath him to reply to an email or even place a call to a customer but instead calls his assistant and instructs her to do his dirty work. Mr. Moynihan’s Integrity and commitment is something other CEO’s can learn from. I will be a lifelong loyal customer for now on and refer all of my friends and family in the future to Bank of America. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

A lot of people will talk negatively about this bank. However, their negative feedback is based either on one account type or a level of ignorance towards Bank of America policies. As I have had my accounts with them for a very long time, I have never had an issue with them. The fees and charges are properly described by their agreements (which you should learn to read), the money in their accounts is accessible around the world as they link with other banks. I lived in China for 4 years and was able to deposit and withdraw without any charge for exchanging RMB. The account showed how much I had in USD and RMB, and I would just withdraw RMB without an exchange charge, WONDERFUL!!

Also, their customer service, though has long wait times, are extremely helpful. I truly feel they are on your side in any situation. I called to cancel my payments on an autopay to a toll company because they were wrongfully charging me. They not only stopped payments, but also opened a claim, and returned my lost money from the toll company. Their accounts are not the best for investments or saving, but I use other banks for those types of account. They have the highest rated Credit Cards and I agree with that rating. All in all I love and have loved banking with Bank of America.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

It’s unbelievable to me that banks rob you of your money but hey what’s that in 2019? After all, with all the madness going on in the world, it makes perfect sense that banks are the very people stealing your money. So after four months of going back and forth with Bank of America, the verdict is my claim was denied after providing proof, after proof that I was in fact, scammed and what we had was a solid case of fraud. Of course, they just crossed their arms and apologized incessantly, that they “understood” my frustration. Thanks a lot Bank of America, you done it again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I have a joint account with Merrill Lynch and Bank of America. I received a bogus fee on my account, and called to resolve it. They said a payment of over $450 was late, so I paid it directly on the phone. Just now, reviewing that transaction from a month ago, I see that my payment of over $450 had gone through 4 days before the idiot agent processed it. So I paid $450 twice, and my balance on the account is -$450 - meaning, my Bank of America credit card *owes me* $450. They didn't tell me they cheated me out of $450, they didn't refund it, and they're not paying me interest on the loan they extorted from me.

I went to their website to let them know what happened, but it sent me on this circular chase where it pretends it will give me contact information, but only redirects me to yet another page where I can fill out my type of question, read automated responses, and then select to contact them, redirecting me to yet another page... You get the idea. This experience reflects poorly on Merrill Lynch and Bank of America, and I will certainly look into redirecting more of my funds into a more reliably managed account.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

On July 19, 2019 I paid off my BOA auto loan that had an electronic lien in Florida. The teller did not apply the deposit correctly and it took 10 days for BOA to tell me. So I had to pay $25 and start the process over. On August 7, a BOA Supervisor Dallas and on August 8 Supervisor Daniel, assured me that the loan was cleared and the lien was removed. My wife works as a financial officer and on Aug 9, she removed a lien through the Florida ELT system. It takes from 24 to 72 hrs to remove a lien. Her lien was already process as of August 13, 2019. My lien is still in the system. This is unacceptable. I suspect BOA has not been completely honest. I've been with BOA for 23 yrs, never again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I opened my BOA Travel Rewards Credit Card in November of 2017. I used my card consistently for a year and paid of the balance in full in December 2018. I had not used my card since. I was receiving promotional emails to use my card, and got a notice to call customer service to update my account information. I called as instructed, and the woman came back to the phone to tell me that as of today they were closing my account, with no explanation as to why. I was dumbfounded. I had never had a late payment, and my account was in excellent standing. Closing an account hurts the age of my credit history on my credit score, and well as lowers my available credit limit which also lowers my credit score. I am extremely dissatisfied with Bank of America and will not be returning as a customer, nor will I recommend BOA to any of my family or friends.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

My husband and I have been with Bank of America for many many years. For the most part we have been satisfied. However, we took a trip to the Dominican Republic last June, 2019, had everything all worked out with the resort. When we arrived, the upgrade we had agreed to pay in WRITING was $900. The resort told us it was now $2000!!! We had emails back-and-forth with the resort clearly stating it was only a $900 Upgrade! If we did not sign for the $2000, we were literally being held hostage in a foreign country with nowhere to stay or sleep.

We signed it and disputed it once we returned home with Bank of America. We figured all of our emails back and forth with the resort was 100% proof that what they told us the upgrade would be and what they charged us was completely different. Bank of America didn’t care and said because we signed the $2,000 upgrade fee we were stuck with now paying that bill, even though we literally had no choice or anywhere else to go and our children were with us! The emails meant nothing to B of A at all, even though it was ALL in our favor! I am absolutely disgusted with Bank of America and will be closing out my credit card and then my several accounts with them! I am a platinum member and this is how I was treated.

Bank of America expert review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

• Best for: Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg