Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Today I went to the Elm St, Westfield, NJ branch to make a deposit. I went through the drive through. The deposit was for $54,346 and I was given a deposit slip for $346. I'm not sure whether to chalk this up to human error or to chalk it up to fraud!

I got a check from my insurance company progressive due to a accident I had, I put the check in Bank of America on the 1/12/17 so I can pay for my car, bank of America close the account without any notice. Now I can't get my car. They told me I had to get prove from progressive. They give me the letter that am the person they issue the check to. I bring the letter to a local bank near me. They fax the letter to Cindy **. She told the teller in the next 24 to 48 hour they would get back to me. Up to now. I call them every day asking about my check they told me they send it to the back office. Right now I need my car for work so I can feed my family. My job even threaten me about fired due to my attendance all because of my car. Today is the 2/09/17 and I need my money.

Bank of America failed to update my mailing address and billing preferences, as provided. Therefore, when you moved across the state, we did not receive our statement/bill. I received a call from BofA, notifying me that they had not received our payment. I made the payment on the spot, and again had to instruct them to update our billing info. They acknowledged they did not update our preferences, as we previously requested. Yet they still proceeded to report us as a Late Payment on our credit report. They are now refusing to remove the negative information that is negatively affecting our credit. LOSERS!

I have put up with the high fees for years now but today was the last straw. My balance never actually reached below $0 yet I was still charged with an overdraft protection fee ($12) plus they took money out of my savings (almost $15) to "cover" an overdraft that wasn't even existent at the time. Now I get hit with another $10 fee because they withdrew from my savings!

I called them to ask why and the lady basically said that if one of the processing transactions went through that it would have been a -$2.10 balance. But it's still processing! Nowhere did it show that I was at a negative balance. I knew I had over $200 being automatically deposited last night... So before there was ever a $0 balance, there was over $200! If you bank with BOA your money is leaking out like a sieve. I will never bank with this horrible corporation again. Now that I read up on how bad this company actually is, I will be recommending to everyone I know, the same thing... Take your money and leave.

I opened a new account with a different bank that sent Bank of America a notarized letter to close the account and transfer funds. Of course they didn't do so. I acquired over 500.00 in fees for the account that was suppose to be closed that they never closed. Really, really angry now. They say that they wouldn't close the account. The letter gave the bank legal notice to work on my behalf.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

The customer service agents are not ready to help when you are in trouble. The entire system is failure. I do not know how this country still keep doing business with them. Really ** people always trying to cheat customers money. Simply following computer they don't have brain at all, no sense too. I deposited the check. After 24 hrs the money was available to spend, but two days after they are pulling back money from my savings account. This is totally ridiculous. Now they say that cannot collect the check. Really stupid people.

Don't use this bank if you are gonna send/receive, PayPal, or buying online stuffs, they charge you the overdraft fees up to 4 times/day $35 each. NOTICE: they give you no time to deposit the money, they charged me 3 times $35 in a night (I got $4k in my bank, for some reason all my money was transferred to another account). Other banks like Wells Fargo or Chase will give you 3 days to deposit the money.

On 2/1/2017 I got an alert from Bank of America that my checking account was below the limit I set on my account. I noticed 2 payments still processing and went and withdraw cash from another account and deposited into the account. After the transaction I obtained a receipt that showed the cash amount I paid into the account and my current balance. Surprising the next morning the 2 processing transactions, which were still processing 3hrs after the cash deposit, cleared, the cash deposit shows processing and BA charged my account $35 overdraft fee. I called the customer service on this regard was told, they cannot do anything about it. If the transaction is still processing can the bank charge overdraft fee, since the customer made cash deposit into the account while the transaction is still processing?

I manage a small business and EVERY SINGLE TIME I get paid by a client, I am charged a $15 transfer fee. That's not all! I also get charged over $35 every single time I get paid by an international customer + the other $15 transfer fee. How is one supposed to make money when your bank is literally eating it all up. That's not all! If you get on BOA, expect to spend at least an hour and a half on hold on the phone with them if you ever want to get anything done.

That's not all! Automatic bill pay is not easy to set up -- it's how they get you and charge you those fees they do so love. You have to fill out a bunch of paperwork in order to set up automatic bill pay. If you're a digital type like me, you have to go in person to one of their horribly run branches to set this up. I can't tell you the amount of times I've made appointments far in advance only to be told I have to wait hours at their branches. When you do jump through all those hoops to set up automatic bill pay, don't expect it to work for another 5-6 months because, hey, we're all about the fees! PLEASE DON'T PUT YOUR MONEY WITH THIS BANK. It'll be the biggest mistake of your life.

Purchase Protect Via Credit Use- I purchased 12/23/2016 a cell phone 5S on eBay and it turned out to be defective. The battery inside was ready to blow up and we were instructed by Apple iPhone company to remove it ASAP. I contacted eBay seller trying to resolve to no avail. Tried going through eBay return no way because I removed the dangerous battery they say it is not in its original condition. PayPal same thing and Bank of America denied my dispute as well. I have been a long standing customer of Bank of America and since they were not willing to assist in this in any way I said to close my account.

They were heartless and uncaring. I tried to find a corporate number and they hide behind Customer Service number. Even the CEO Brian T. Moynihan's supposed number is the same Customer Service number. Their corporate filing uses the same number. To me they do not want to deal with the customers who make them what they are, Wealthy! I am not done I will tell everyone of my experience with them and will never have anything else to do with Bank of America or their affiliates, which some of us know who they are too.

Update: 1/27/17 I revisit eBay resolutions dept. and finally got them to understand the danger involved with the cell phone battery. They promptly refunded $120.50. So I thought I would try to appeal to BOA's conscience and spoke with several people and eventually elevated to a Joel who stated he would reinstate my card. He proceed to ask me for my financial income yearly and other personal questions. I asked you are not dipping in to my credit report are you? His answer was no. Joel stated it would take approximately 24 hours for it be active again.

On 1/31/17 I received a call from someone in the Collection Dept named I think Adel who was following up on my complaint with the BBB. He informed me that my account is closed permanently. He was going to see what he could do and get back to me. Today being the 2nd of February 2017 I tried calling various numbers till I finally reached someone named Doran not sure of spelling. Doran listen and forward me to Shea who forward me to Sear. Keep in mind that every person I spoke to I had to retell my story even though I asked the to inform the people that they were forwarding me to so I would not have to repeat myself.

So now Shea was unaware of why I was calling and again I told my story again. Now Shea basically tells me that there is nothing they can do. It would have to go to the Credit Department for approval and dip into my credit again! At this point I decided to forget it, it just is not worth dealing with a business who does not care about the customer who has made Bank of America who they are today. In the last 6 months I charged and paid off in full well over $10,000.00 and I am or was a great customer. These guys just don't care. Too Big to Fail sound familiar... or is it Too Big and don't Care. Concluding: Paid off the account early and am no longer interested in doing business with Bank of America or any affiliates under their umbrella.

Perfect!

My 17 year old was a victim of fraud on her Bank of America checking account. I am jointly on the account which was set up 2 years ago when she was 15. We received no notification of the fraudulent activity, but rather the account was closed and daughter's information was sent to Chex systems. I asked them if this was the normal process for fraud without doing any investigation and they said yes. I have filed a police report, as well as a report with the FTC. Because Bank of America has sent the account to Chex systems my daughter is unable to get another account with any bank. I am still in the process of trying to get this situation settled. Bank of America's customer service has been awful to say the least.

Now when I go to the bank, I'm in a line waiting with maybe 6 other people for at times up to 20 minutes or a half hour. We all complain to each other that this is a new phenomenon, that they've reduced the tellers down to only one. Bank of America execs are probably sunning themselves in the Caribbean, while we are in line so they can save a buck by not paying tellers. The manager told me they want us to use the ATM. Only I deposit cash and the ATM spits it out and apparently a small percentage of the time it actually takes my money and then chokes up so I have to spend a half day trying to call B of A. I'm changing to Chase.

I have this account with BOA since about 2011, it's no monthly maintenance fee when I opened this account. As I remembered, I had never been charged monthly maintenance fee on this account until Oct. 2016. I met with BOA associate and discussed to close some of my BOA accounts in their branch in Vienna, VA about June 2016. The BOA associate mentioned these accounts were old product in BOA, without monthly maintenance fee. Most of the new product charged monthly maintenance fee. So I canceled to close the account.

I had not received letter or notice from BOA that they would start to charge monthly maintenance fee for this type of account either. Otherwise, I will definitely chose to close the account or convert it to other type of account or keep the balance or set up direct deposit etc to avoid the monthly maintenance fee. I set up a direct deposit for this account in Nov 2016 before I knew this reason.

Therefore, it's very unreasonable that BOA changed the account policy without notification customer and started to charge customer the monthly maintenance fee. I have account with CITI, PNC, Capital360 etc. Bank, had not met these type of issues so far. Obviously BOA keeps using these tricky way to get money from customer, just like stealing money from customer's pocket. I believed that's one of the reason why BOA was rated as the worst business in US. BOA should stop using these ways to get money from customer. I called BOA many times in order to resolve the issues but never reached. I strongly request BOA to refund these unreasonable charge asap.

Horrible, horrible bank with multiple hidden fees!!! An absolute rip off!!! Stay as far away as you can...the customer service is a joke and they set their fee system up to rape their customers! WARNING!!! It should get negative stars!

Mobile deposited check into my account. BOA, did a standard 2 days hold. Gave me the 1st $200. I'm like ok. Then 2 days later, the day the hold is to be released and my large deposit made available to me. BOA, placed a new hold on the check, removed the $200 from my account and never notified me about any of this. I tried to make a purchase and was declined. Call BOA, they advised me that their system indicated that the check I deposited was going to bounce. Funny thing is, I wrote the check from my other bank. Guess what, it didn't bounce and cleared the account. BOA, doesn't care. They refused to remove the 9 day hold from my account. Needless to say, I will be closing my account and using my Credit Union. I hate you BOA! Rot in hell... Seriously.

Directed by the state of NJ to switch to Bank of America. I got a 4 year card that I didn't keep in my wallet. When I got the next 4 year card I kept it in my wallet. A year later it wouldn't scan in the machine possibly because the card was scratched. This happened at the Westwood NJ branch with all 3 of the machines. They gave me a new card in the mail and no one at the Westwood branch would help me.

The machine at the Hillsdale NJ branch seemed to be more durable at reading card that were scratched. I've tried to get e-banking this month again. No one would help me at the Westwood branch when they were open which was another issue with their poor hour and my job. Now I'm have hard time trying to get e-banking online. I'm switching banks as soon as can. I also have headaches from Bank of America.

My husband was dying of cancer and he pushed himself to be sure he got ten years in teamsters so I would have a pension. Well the pension is only $38.00 a month and it's direct deposit into Bank of America account him and I started in 1991. He passed away and the pension had been going into that account then about five or more years ago Bank of America just started charging $12 a month on the account because balance too low I never changed the account. They just started charging this so they now take $12 every month out of the $38.00 pension. I have tried to find out where the pension comes from to change it to another bank but they have refused to cooperate so they are monthly just taking $12. They are rip off and hopefully someday something will be done about them.

I just opened a savings & checking account in the beginning of December 2016. I made at least 3-4 deposits since and upon trying to make another deposit on Friday 1/20/17 at the atm, I'm being prompted that my account cannot be found. After several unsuccessful attempts, I went to check my online account and cannot log-in. I call customer service and was told that they made a business decision without explanation to close my account. No warning, no notice, just up and closed my account. This is horrible business and another reason popular trust in the banking system is fallen. I will never give my money to this bank ever again and I hope everyone moves their money out to a bank that has better practices.

I have been with BOA for almost 10 years. In the last few years, things were going well until I struggle financially. Things got better. I was able to manage my accounts better and continue using the e-bill system. Last year, I noticed that I started accumulating a lot of overdrafts. I thought that I needed to go back to controlling my finances better. This month, I starting taking pictures of the e-bills I was sending out because I noticed that e-bills were not getting posted when I requested them to be posted on my account. As a result, after taking pictures, creating an spreadsheet, etc. that some of the e-bills were not getting withdraw from my account as scheduled.

I call the e-billing department to investigate few of these e-bills. The response was that those bills were drafted and they were taking out of the account when the recipient cash the checks. I explained to the representative, that I have been using e-bills for the longest time and I always got the e-bill drafted on the day I schedule them. I was told that because of my previous history, that was not an option anymore. As a result, a check I sent on 01/02/2017, was withdrawn on the 25th (apparently when the other institution cashed the check) but what was interested is that it got cashed on the only day I did not have sufficient funds (23 days after I scheduled the payment). I went back again and I noticed the trend. Bills sent out but not cashed as scheduled.

This is an unfair practice. If I would have not had a financial difficulty in the past, I would have been able to continue using the advantages of what an e-bill payment truly is (send the payment and get it deducted on the day scheduled); instead, I send the payments and it get posted randomly (like the old days of paying bills). Because I lost trust, I closed my BOA account after more than 10 years of being customer.

My husband account got hack. They gave us money 80.00 and didn't not tell us they would take it out. How can they do this? Go in someone account and use their debit and take out. I try to talk to them and told me there nothing I can do. I had pay bills and now I'm going to be late. Things shut off cause they had to take out. I not trusting these banks at all. Now I'm overdrawn 26 dollars cause of this. It's not fair at all.

I have been with BofA for several years now and I absolutely hate them. They always charge either a maintenance fee of $12 or overdraft fee of $35. This is absurd! What bank does that?! Oh wait, BofA does. When I was a full time student I had no income and so my bank account would go lower. Now that I'm working, I don't even want my money being put in this bank account cause they would find every possible way to take it. This is **. I'm going to take the remaining money left in my account out and closing this account. I hate BofA for taking my money for stupid fees. DONT USE BOFA.

I joined this bank in November or so. My boyfriend was depositing money via one of the ATMS and the atm malfunctioned. He reported it and told me it was $608 dollars. They placed a claim and only refunded $308 dollars. Spoke with them about that and they said I would have to set up ANOTHER claim. Second screw up was when someone stole my debit card information and used it at an ATM three times back to back. There was also charges for ATM fees for looking at the balance. This all happened at an ATM at a casino I've never been to. I placed a claim for it. It was denied because they did not use the card again. I would say they didn't because after checking the balance and noticing the card was locked AND there was no money left in the account, what would be the purpose of trying to get more money out? Bank still denied the claim. Closing account asap. Reps at every Bank of America I've been to are rude anyway.

I had lower back surgery on November 29, 2016. I've been on disability for a while. I get an email from BofA stating my account was below 25.00, I immediately called in disbelief. A creditor from 1994 put a levy on my account, I'm clueless to know who these people are. Anyway, I called Bank of America and couldn't speak to legal department because they don't allow you to speak with them. Well I decided to go into a branch and mention what the state of California says about levies on disability and Worker's Compensation benefits. The state of California doesn't allow levies on monies that are from a Worker's Compensation or Disability case.

I walked into the bank with all supporting documents as well sent them emails to through the branch manager for forwarding that shows where you can read the laws for California. These incompetent bank bench warmers concluded after a second review of my account that CA does allow levies on Disability and Worker's Compensation payments. Dumbfounded in disbelief I couldn't believe how ignorant these people are. Even after I showed them and gave them a link for verification, they still were clueless. I despise B of A. PLEASE RUN THE OTHER WAY. THERE ARE OTHER BANKS WITH INTELLIGENT EMPLOYEES, B of A falls short.

My son called me in December of 2016 and asked me to help him by making a payment on his Bank of America credit card. I made one payment and figured that was it. On January 6th, I found a debit from Bank of America for $240 against my checking account. I called in to complain and get the charges reversed. After talking with the representative, I decided to help my son's badly overdue credit card by allowing one more payment. I told the representative to make sure this was the last payment and he assured me it was. I should have known better.

Bank of America just debited my checking account again, and when I called in to their fraud department, I found out that someone put my account on auto debit!!! I did not authorize any such payments to them and I am seriously thinking of contacting a lawyer to see if I can do something about this. The representative furthermore told me that he couldn't do anything for me because it is my son's account. So without written or verbal authorization from me, they can just go into my checking account and scoop out money for something that I didn't authorize??? These people are filthy, rotten crooks of the lowest scum form on earth!!!

My spouse and I have a joint savings account in which we maintain a balance of over $10,000. I was encouraged by an employee at my local branch of BOA to switch my account from e-banking to a higher interest checking account. He assured me that I wouldn't be charged monthly maintenance fees, so I did as he suggested. For three months after switching, I wasn't charged any monthly fees, then suddenly this month I was slammed with a $25 fee. I didn't receive any notification about this of course, so if I hadn't checked my online banking statement, the money would've been taken from me without my knowledge.

I called Bank of America, and they weren't able to explain the fee beyond saying that for some reason only my spouse's name, and not my name, is linked to the savings account. This makes absolutely no sense considering that the savings account is listed as one of my accounts when I sign into online banking. This is the 4th or 5th time that I have had to call Bank of America to complain about monthly fees. They always give me a different excuse for why I've been charged, and I'm really starting to lose my patience with them. A bank is supposed to protect your finances, not steal them away from you.

On Nov. 11, 2016 my husband went to Bank America at Northport, Port St. Lucie, Florida where we have had an acct. since 2002 to just cast a $25.00 money order only! He had to insert the debit used to ID him and our acct. He got the $25.00 and left. Several days later he was checking our online accts. and noted $600 taken from our checking acct... the same day as he cashed that money order. We immediately went to the Bank and the manager, Tina ** advised us to contact the local Sheriff Dept. and file a report and they would check out the bank cameras and get back to us. We filed the report with St. Lucie County Sheriff Dept. The Bank manager assured us we would be ok and get our money back.

NOW LISTEN TO THIS ONE... They refuse to put our money back as they said they see my husband's face on the camera at the counter... Ahhh well yes he was there to cash a $25.00 money order so of course you'd see him. THAT WAS CASH NOT DEPOSIT IN AN ACCT. Well she told they only put larger amounts of money in an envelope and it was seen he was handed an envelope!

Now that was a real slick trick on the tellers part while slight of hand went on behind the counter. Had to be... no other way. We are in a position we do not need to pull such a horrid stunt and we are furious they STOLE FROM US. Now as I tell the story I am hearing this happened to other and again the magic number of $600. They have employees who steal and pass on the word how to do it making the customer look like a liar. Bank America after so long we have closed out all from you. YOU HAVE LOST ANOTHER CUSTOMER. SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE. YOU EMPLOY THIEVES IN MY OPINION.

I preordered two Nintendo Switches from Target, retail $299. Bank of America DECLINED the charges due to some concern about fraud and the transactions were cancelled. My credit is excellent, well within my limit. A single Nintendo Switch is only available on eBay now for $525 and above. I got completely ripped off by Bank of America's 'fraud alert for my own good'. Terrible customer service.

I made the mistake of going to BOA after a relocation about a year ago. Should have known after my first experience (delays in processing a mortgage proceeds check to my account) that this collective group of shysters is out to do whatever they can in the way of holding up the processing up funds so that they can earn the interest on the funds while they do so. (This has to be big dollar business for them collectively.)

Recently, they have just held up a Direct Deposit Transfer of funds from a reputable Investment Institution. I confirmed with the investment company that the funds were transferred to the BOA, but it appeared to them BOA was holding up the processing. I called BOA customer service where I waited on hold for 15 minutes before some useless clown answers and says he doesn't see any record of the funds transfer, 'money moves overnight' and 'it should process and reflect tomorrow'. He goes into some dumbassed analogy of a bank account being like a catcher's mitt?? I call the investment group back up and they again state they are not to blame for the delays, but that the bank may have a contract with a clearinghouse holding up the processing of the funds.

I call BOA customer service (sit on hold for another 15 mins), this rep tells me he can in fact see the funds pending, but that it will be 3 business days before they clear the ACH? Apparently BOA has its own idea of what a direct deposit is when it's convenient for them to do so. Have to believe this is unfair and manipulative business practice on their part. Upon resolution of this transfer, I will be closing this account promptly and moving to a Bank that values its customers and doesn't just try to take advantage of them and jack them around for their benefit. Anyone should seriously think twice before working with BOA.

The absolute worst god awful most pathetic excuse for a bank. Constantly disable my card for purchases that I constantly have to verify to them as being mine. Now they disabled my debit card on a Friday night at 8 pm and I've been on hold for 2 hours. Tried calling customer support to talk to any moron that would answer, nope, redirect back to this neverending barrage of the absolutely worst mind-numbing music that just loops without any ending. They claim they have state of the art best protection systems in place blah blah blah, I've still had charges posted to my account that were made by random sources on the internet which I had to dispute with the bank to get refunded. They couldn't stop ACTUAL fraudulent charges from posting, but they block my god damn account despite countless times of me verifying the same damn charges in the past.

Now I'm basically assed out of my own money and can't get it until someone answers which seems like a slimmer chance than an ice cube surviving in hell. I cringe when I have to go into the bank to speak to someone, always some BS about something they didn't tell me about at all upfront but hit me with later knowing that I'm basically stuck to pay the fee because I have no choice when I find out about it. Makes my blood boil every time I have to deal with this bank. It's 10:41 PM on a Friday night and instead of relaxing, I'm signing up with another bank right now and ending this BS before it gives me aneurysms for the never ending BS I keep dealing with by staying with these Dbags.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.
  • Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.
  • Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.
  • Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.
  • Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.
  • Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.
  • Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.
  • Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.
  • Best for Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions