Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.35/5

Bank of America offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity loan, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Bank of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I had many different types of accounts with the Bank of America since opening my first account in year 2008. To date, all accounts operate and have always operated exactly as advertised. Never seen their website down. Never had any problems with any transactions (plastic card, electronic transfers, checks, etc.). BoA is quick to resolve fraudulent charges. Staff members across multiple branches I visited in those years have been welcoming and professional. I believe I am a tough rater, but I cannot think of anything else to even wish for. Through those years of 100% proven reliability I have gained a great confidence in the bank.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I have banked with Bank of America (BoA) ever since they were NCNB. I’ve seen the highs and the lows, as they say, with BoA development and my own financial challenges. The one thing I will say is that I’ve always been able to go to a branch, or call a number and have an issue clarified, explained or resolved, usually in my favor. Currently, I am a “Platinum” member customer (never thought I’d see the day), so I enjoy a number of perks. I like that I have BoA AND Merrill Lynch at my fingertips and easily accessible on the BoA app. I study the operations of other financial institutions, and while there’s some innovative ideas they present, such as Capital One’s “cafe” set up, I’ve seen those innovative ideas come and go (Washington National [Wachovia] tried it back in the 2000’s). Slow and steady wins it, for me. That’s what BoA does for me.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

My only problem with Bank of America is they don't have individual health savings account. My company does not offer this as a benefit but my company's health insurance does qualify under the IRS rules as a high deductible health plan. I would like to open one for myself but BOA does not offer it so I need to go elsewhere to open this type of account; which is a pain since all my banking accounts are with Bank of America.

Original review: July 27, 2020

Reps are always courteous, knowledgeable, and professional, whenever I call Bank of America, the wait time is minimal and the reps are very well trained and know the answers to my questions. I have been a customer of. Bank of America for over thirty five years. During the time in which I have had an account, the bank’s name has changed more times than I can remember. During all the changes that the bank has gone through, their customer service reps have consistently remained customer oriented.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I had an issue while opening an Online Checking and Savings Account, whereas I could have just disregarded and went to another bank. Though I sought to resolve this by requesting help through B.B.B. Ms. Nancy ** was extremely proficient and professional and went above and beyond to get my accounts opened. Ms. Nicole ** at Wheeler Road Branch in Augusta, Georgia assisted me in a timely, kind, safe and welcoming way! It's important to recognize such service!

J.W.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I have been a Bank of America customer for many years. Without question, they have provided the poorest service during Covid of all the banks with which I deal. They have closed branches for what is now almost one year, the branches with ATM service will not accept deposits, there is not ready access to safe deposit boxes and they refuse to transfer the safe deposit box to another branch, the nearest operational branch to me is a disaster--I have had two bad experiences and will not return there. The customer service department run by Holly ** is nonresponsive. The Bank refuses to send hard copy of its VISA bills as requested by customers. All in all, Bank of America has made it very difficult for customers to do business with it unlike the other banks in our area such as Chase and Wells Fargo.

Unlike the other major banks, Bank of America has chosen to take NO action regarding its policies and political contributions in response to the insurrection by MAGA Trump supporters in Washington DC on Jan 6. This is an obvious and disgraceful indication of where Bank of America's sympathy lies with respect to our democracy.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Signed up for a new account because of a promotion B of A was running. Verified by calling all along that I was doing everything correctly. When my account was not credited, as promised, I was told I just needed to wait longer, but was assured repeatedly that everything was alright and that I would surely be credited. That went on for 3 months when I was finally told that no credit was forthcoming, but I could file a complaint... After wasting hours of my time I have concluded that I am just getting the runaround. I was told one thing one day, and just the opposite on another day, even though I was told that they kept notes in the file, notes of previous calls somehow could not be found! So in conclusion, in my opinion, this bank cannot be trusted, stay away. Was considering opening other business accounts with them, no longer. I will not do business with this bank!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

After I told them I contracted the virus, and told them that I was over it, they canceled a zero balance credit card and lowered the usable amount on another credit card. I have had these cards for several years. This is a show of just how BofA thought if I died due to the virus they would not be paid. Sad that BofA only thinks in this way.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Do not do business with Bank of America. They are corrupt and fraudulent. They have been Refusing to pick up phone calls about the major fraud going on within their company and EDD. I made a claim over, 4-5 months ago and they still haven't refunded my money, that rightfully belongs to me. They have made it a headache on purpose hoping you'll give up on your lost funds. Bunch of dirty thieves hiding behind a corporate name. Thousands of people have been robbed or frauded of their money and Bank of America, the multi billion dollar company is refusing to pay it back. They are forcing people to use their chipless cards, which is easily hackable by thieves, AND IT'S BEEN GOING ON SINCE MARCH, WITH NO TYPE OF RESOLUTION. NO REFUNDS, unless you take it to a news outlet and they send your name in. Why do we have to take unnecessary extra steps to get our money back?? Dirty corporate thieves. #BoycottBankOfAmerica

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Of all the companies to say they don't do a one time courtesy for late fees because they have so many options to pay is absolutely disgusting.. Every single other company does one time courtesies but the most money hungry corporate ripoffs in America doesn't ?? Don't give me the so many ways to pay crap because other companies have the same ways to pay you do and they still understand people are human. Bank of America thinks we are just a dollar sign to them to bleed the little money we have out of us. I am paying off my card completely with my little savings I have so I can close my bank of america account and never give them another cent of my money. Completely appalling and I will make sure everyone I can tell knows it period.

Bank of America author review by Barbara Friedberg

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.

• Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.

• Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.

• Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.

• Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.

• Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.

• Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.

• Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor