Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have a BofA credit card, and was late in my payments, yes I admit that I had no work and was unable to, so when I recently put some money into my bank account, to help cover some of the delinquent payments, the recovery dept on a Friday pm goes into my account and withdraws $2,100 all without tell me. Now while I understand that they CAN do that, the fact that they do it WITHOUT notice and without any advance warning merely cause me to needlessly overdraft the account as I was unaware of their transactions until AFTER it posts suddenly to my account.

This is a bunch of crap. While I understand the policy is there to help BofA get its money back the part that irks me is that they do it on a Friday with absolutely NO NOTICE!! When I call them to talk to them about it I was told that they only notice they have to give is when I agreed to the Terms and Conditions of the card. Beware of this BofA policy, it will bite you in the butt!

I have an unpleasant experience every time I go to this branch, Lincoln Park, Mi. The branch is always short of employees and overwhelmed with frustrated customers and of course it takes forever to get a simple transaction done but the manager walks around like a headless chicken (acts like not seeing or hearing the frustration of the customers).

I decided to close my personal bank account there, I go to the bank, they had one teller and one employee sitting behind the desk. They are both doing their job fine but they are overwhelmed with customers. This was today August 29th 2017. I wait for my turn for over half an hour, cancelled my account that had money in it then I was told to go and stand in line to get my money. I asked the bank rep to get it for me or have the teller issue the money once he is done with the customer he is helping. She told me to step aside and she will call the manager.

The manager walked by while I was speaking with him and was about to knock me of my feet and I am a disable veteran, as I started explaining my situation again he said "I got other customers" and continued walking to his office. After over 20 min of waiting for him and calling customer service to make a complaint he comes out and I explain to him again. He asked me to leave and escorted me out without my money.

Customer service will be sending me my money but that is not a satisfying solution. That manger should be replaced. Assistant manager there is great but she was not there today. I will be closing my business account unless they replace him. If you were at the Bank of America today between 4:15 and past 5 pm you must have seen this, please comment of what you have seen. Or just write your experience at that branch. Thanks for looking.

They always find a way to charge overdraft fees of $35, it's business for them. I always make sure I have at least $50 in my account to prevent overdraft and severally I would wake up to find out that past payments that shows cleared in their app didn't actually clear until days after and then they get me again. I called them and they tell me that their phone app is not as accurate as their computer app which is why processing payments don't show up on the phone app. How is that my fault?! Bank of America is fraudulent.

Was a BoA customer for 12 years. Had credit cards, checking account, brokerage account, Business account with them. They sent a compliance notice to verify citizenship status of my spouse and his work location. Given that this was not something we could update on the account profile and holds to the compliance line lasted 60+ minutes, my husband went into a branch and provided all the requested information and was assured that everything would be taken care of.

The next we know, our account was frozen. By the time I could get to the branch, they closed the account, shipped off a check for my checking account and then they sold my stock and sent me a check. Really disgusted with this BANK. Their compliance team is a bunch of jokers. They refer to compliance like it's the holy grail. And not one person has a reason to provide for this fiasco. We have had no funny remittances. The only outflows are payment of credit card bills and school related checks. I am definitely not going to sit idle and pay for all the bounced checks and tax on my sold stock without getting some justice here.

The customer service and the employees are great, very friendly and easy to deal with, any problem I had was taken care of. I was hacked and my money was available the same day, I will not bank anywhere else!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

I been seeing "service fee" on my statement and for whatever reason, I started really looking into it. I went back as far as a year that I been charged 12. So I called and found out if you don't carry a certain balance or a direct deposit of AT LEAST 250, you get charged these fees. I understand that the bank has to look for ways to make their money but no one cared enough of me as a 12 year customer to make any awareness to me that I should deposit just 50 more dollars to avoid the fees.

I called in and spoke with a rep in which I was promised a call in 24 hours from a manager and of course nobody called. They don't care to tend to a petty $12 matter. When I called, they told me one fee was reversed. I felt completely disgusted and insulted. Nobody calls in about no 1 fee!!! No, I didn't expect to get all my fees from a whole year back, but a couple of months would have been considerate. I am leaving BOA and going elsewhere. This has put such a bad taste in my mouth. Of course another bank will have fees but hopefully they will care enough about me to properly ensure customer satisfaction.

Although Bank of America provides a wide range of financial programs, they are lacking in customer service. We live in a small farming community and in the last 12-18 months, they closed two branches which leaves only two branches serving their customers. The result is that there are long wait times to speak with a teller or representative and when you express concern with the lack of customer service, their response is that Bank of America is forcing their customers to use online banking and ATMs for all of their services. Sometimes the ATM or online banking services can't provide what you need.

I have always had good service with Bank of America and have used them for years. They are always very helpful and answer all my questions. They are conveniently located wherever I have lived. Calling me if they detect a wrong charge or something else.

I will never ever bank with Bank of America again. They are awful, they overcharge and put me at risk. I will never ever do business with them again if I can help it.

Bank of America or as some call it BOA is an awesome bank to work with as they truly watch out for their customers. I'm sure other banks do as well and I really can't compare them to others as I've had BOA for many years now. That alone should speak for itself. I highly recommend them for your banking needs.

First off, their fraud department sucks. I deposited a check and after a couple of days it being cleared by Bank of Leeches, I asked them to investigate because I am not sure about the validity and they confirmed it was 100% legit. After several days the check bounced and when I called them they said they didn't confirm it was valid. Gave me the runaround. I lost $1200 to the scammer then these leeches charge me $12 for getting scammed. Haha. Freaking blood-suckers!

Bank of America has excellent banking features but its investment prowess is somewhat limited. Local managers have been helpful on a number of financially related issues though.

I've noticed that the BOA locations I've visited last no longer have their drive up teller windows open. When I questioned why, I was only told that the bank will no longer be using them. Big mistake!

Been with them forever. No problems and if there was a problem I am confident they would handle it perfectly. Always easy to do business with and very consumer-conscious.

I brought a check to be cashed and the bank tried to say I made the check. They found out it was real and cleared. Still wouldn't give me my money after 6 wks. I had to close my account to get my money. Never got an apology.

BofA has credited my account while working on a fraudulent charge. Reversed an overdraft when I or a company made a mistake. I am completely confident making online purchases and shopping out of area. Only complaint the Merced office, gets zero stars.

All of B of A customer service rep's are clearly professional while logically caring more for their customers (like being a psychologist). Many customers are stressed with possibly credit card problems, and they fully care & assist with other oncoming recommendations.

They use to be a great bank. I loved the easy access to deposit at the ATM machine. Then they started letting companies I didn't even authorize to take money from my account. When I complained it was just a lot of excuses.

Our branch has terrible service. In general it is too hard to do business with them. We only keep an account for when we are away, mostly in a foreign country or place that doesn't have other banks. We use our US Bank account for all other purposes because they have better service and better and easier to use online.

Try your best not become a victim of identity fraud! It has almost been a month and I'm still recovering to fully recover my account. I was told on 16 Aug '17 that my name on the card was too long so they didn't ship the card. So, that day a new card was shipped. I picked it up today on 20 Aug '17 and then I tried to activate the card and it didn't work. I requested to speak to an associate and was informed that the card that I received was cancelled. Now, keep in mind, on 16 Aug, they told me that my card didn't ship because of my name was too long on the card. It's going on three weeks and I have yet to receive all the benefit of using my banking account.

BoA's biggest problem is they don't endorse your account. They don't annotate the on going progression of resolving issues such as identity fraud. One associate to the next, I had to repeat myself several times of the same story of what happened to me as if I had to start all over again. Remember, I am the victim. There were times I felt that it was my fault that I experienced identity fraud. I also experience, they are not in the best interest of really resolving your issue. There's not a sense of urgency in resolving issues at hand.

I've experienced identity fraud on 23 Jul '17 and it is now 20 Aug '17 and I am still experiencing issues with BoA. From the E-Commerce Fraud Dept, all the way to Customer Service, they are not in the best interest of protecting your account, thus leaving you without a peace of mind. I will soon leave them. By far, BoA is the worst banking experience I've ever encountered.

I really like this bank. They take security very seriously. The moment my card is used at any TYPE of store that I haven't been to before - my account is quickly frozen and sends a link to my app asking me to verify if I just tried using my card or not. Once I say "yes, it was me" the account is immediately unfrozen.

The online app is great. It is very easy to check my account, pay my bill, check my statements etc. On the phone customer service is courteous, knowledgeable and quick to respond to my concerns.

There are no local offices. I've had trouble getting any cooperation from them in the past especially when it comes to withdrawing your money... Typical big city bank... Cold and impersonal. Stick to local banks and avoid these guys.

Bank of America is a great bank. They are very supportive of their customers. There is easy access and they are able to support you in every customer service accommodations that I have needed over the past 10 years.

I've been at this bank for over five years. I've had great experiences and how to get the best banking experience. At any time when needed I've been offered support for anything that was needed. I always experience professional and polite personnel that's willing to assist either on the phone or in person.

Overall, Bank of America is a good bank. The folks at different departments do not communicate well. EBanking is great. Secure. Tellers are mostly friendly. Very long lines most of the time.

I previously banked with Chase and switched to Bank of America some years back. I normally do all banking online including bill paying. Bank of America's website is very user-friendly and secure. I always go to a branch office whenever making a deposit. The associates are always courteous and very helpful. Bank of America is tops.

You have to make an appointment to talk with a banker. The banker tells you all these things that they can do for you to get you to invest and most of these perks change or are discontinued in less than 6 months. They tell you they will follow up with you on x, y, z, but it never happens. Ends up feeling pretty impersonal and there goes the trust!

BofA's services are typical of the banking industry - very little to distinguish between the brick and mortar banks - as are its fees which are exorbitant for what they provide. BofA doesn't value loyalty. They jacked up my fees after nearly 20 years of patronage. We've closed all but one checking and one savings acct. and will close those also soon. We'll go with an online bank for better value and greater convenience.

Fraud detection is excellent and otherwise accurate at Bank of America. Tellers are also friendly on the rare occasion when I have entered the bank. But didn't like the credit card experience so I closed it.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.
  • Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.
  • Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.
  • Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.
  • Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.
  • Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.
  • Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.
  • Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.
  • Best for Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions