4.15/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It's Just Lunch is the world’s Number 1 personalized dating service. At It's Just Lunch we take away the frustration of dating and make it easy for you to meet people worth spending your time with. Our dating specialists handle everything in a personalized and efficient manner... from finding the right matches to making all the arrangements for the date. All you have to do is show up and enjoy meeting someone new.

It's Just Lunch was founded in 1991 and has been helping professional singles around the world find meaningful relationships ever since. With over 150 It's Just Lunch locations worldwide, there is sure to be one near you.

View More View More

5116 It's Just Lunch! Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Wasted thousands of dollars & time on this - huge regret. I can't get a refund. Drove an hr to meet my "date" - they never showed up and claimed that they were there. I can't waste my time on this. Please, meet someone the old fashion way or take yourself on a vacation. I've been on zero dates and don't want to with who they pick.

Get expert buying tips about Matchmaking Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I signed up with this service when no other similar services had helped. I am extremely happy with the care, professionalism and warmth with which Jas and Jessica have shown me in establishing my matches. There's a level of pride that goes into their work and it's evident in all that they do. I hugely recommend this service!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have put a lot of search into your Dating service over the past years before joining IJL. I have talked to many of your screeners, sales people and so far as I see it. You have put together a fantastic team of professionals. While I have had only one meeting Just for lunch I must commend your people for their input for making it happen with that personal touch. I know your are a team but *OBET* has been a big help into the beginning of my travel through the process with his skill of knowing the Pittsburgh area very well and helping me find these locations of comfortable areas to meet JFL.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The experience I had so far was pleasant. All the people at It's Just Lunch are very professional and really want to find an adequate match for me; especially Jaz and Jessica. The interview process is a very thorough one and communicates to me that they mean business. I am still awaiting my second match, and look forward to it--my first was a great experience.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Kimberli and Tameka work so hard for me!! I feel like they are always there working to make my experience with It’s Just Lunch a five star event at all times!! They make sure that everything is organized and that I am informed about my dates. Thank you!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

The distance between is a 4hr drive round trip. Please consider distance when you schedule dates. Sharon was an attractive lady and easy to talk to. We had several things in common including the love for exercise. Enjoyed the time we spent together. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This is my second round with It's Just Lunch, and this time is markedly better than the first time. Pilar matched me well with my first date and hopefully the rest continue to be good matches as well. He seems to be genuinely interested in finding me the right person. Hoping this works this time around.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Sending a HUGE thank you to Obed, Darryl, and Kim for their help! I’ve been on 2 dates with my match and feel very optimistic. They have been very responsive and helpful. I couldn’t be happier with the match they’ve given me. I definitely wouldn’t have found him without this service because he is from the opposite side of the metropolitan area where we live and it’s unlikely our paths would’ve crossed professionally. We seem very very compatible and well-matched. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Overall, I feel somewhat disappointed 5 months after having signed onto It's Just Lunch (IJL). That being said, I feel that the people I'm working with, including UDonna and Tameka, are doing an adequate job within the constraints of IJL. First, the person with whom I shared the most about myself, including preferences in a woman and past dating/marriage experiences, was someone named Jenny **, with whom I had no later contact.

It was a more than 2-hour conversation, and I doubt that all that information got conveyed to the people I worked with later. Then, there was a long delay between my initial sign-up (and payment of an exorbitant $2800) and my Skype interview with someone named Sheri, who again turned out not to be my dating coach, so any information that Udonna or Tameka has about me is guaranteed to be second-hand from Jenny ** or Sheri. The Skype interview was terribly short and terse, and we didn't talk about what my past dating pitfalls may have been. Not much dating coaching!

Since my Skype interview in late June (2018), I've only been sent one match. Udonna is hard to get a hold of by phone, and does not respond to voice mail messages. I heard nothing from her between late June and late Aug. I was not physically attracted to my match at all due to her morbid obesity, and told Udonna as much back in June. Apparently, this is my only 'match' in the entire Knoxville, TN area. I feel angry about being misled; apparently, the IJL dating pool is extremely small, which was not my impression when I signed up.

I did eventually go on a date with my 'match'. She turned out to be even more obese in person than the photos, but at least her face was prettier in person than the photos. She was shy, so I couldn't get a good read on her personality, but she was mild and pleasant at least. It was a very tasty meal and a pleasant atmosphere in the restaurant, and it was nice to get out of the office/out of the apartment, but the conversation was boring. I don't feel like we had shared interests or tastes, so I don't really understand the basis for the 'match'. I suspect that perhaps the basis for the match is simply that we both went to college and are in our 30s!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

The dinner reservation was at a very nice place, the food was excellent and it was a low-pressure experience with someone I have never met before but enjoyed meeting and engaging in stimulating conversation with for over two hours! I took off one star because this is my first time using IJL and I rarely give perfect scores right off the bat...

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I spent a nice sum for a dating service and it had been 2 months and only one date. After reviewing my dates profile and what I got was quite different. His profile said he liked golf, travel, eating healthy. Also said he was six ft tall. He did not like exercising outside. No golf and hasn’t traveled since early twenties. Also - said Jhelum could watch football all day, everyday if on television. This is something I don’t want, as I am an outside woman. His profile aside he liked remodeling... if writing a check counts, it is misleading. Disappointed! It has been two months and only one date, not sure when they will send me an e-mail for the next. Waiting and wondering if I wasted money?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Still waiting... I think the only way to be 100% would be to end up in a relationship and that hasn’t happened yet. But I am holding out hope and I hope the next date is it. It’s hard these days especially in my line of work to need new people and it’s a numbers game. The more dates the better your chances are. So here’s to the next one.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My 1st experience with IJL in the early 2000's was ok, the 2nd (about 3 years ago wasn't so good) , and just coming back to IJL last week and have met a person who really hits many if not all of my keys for someone I want to continue with. They did a super job! Obed, Dalia... KEEP IT UP!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

A very nice and helpful experience with the dating service. I have been having a lot of fun and helpful experience with the help of the dating service. They are the best in contact with me walking me through this process.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I joined IJL like most people — I thin k— because of the frustration with regular dating apps. The process is much different and so far it’s been smooth sailing. I was in contact with one woman who spent extensive time getting to know me over the phone before they decided to take me on as a client. Then I was put in contact with my personal matchmaker. There was more conversation and then a Skype interview. I really liked this part because it made the process real. Dealing with live people is better than just phone conversations which can stay abstract.

After the Skype interview, the actual matchmaking process started. I was sent a first profile. The profiles are succinct which I actually like. Online profiles in regular dating apps can sometimes be long and give too much unnecessary information. The IJL profile, in comparison, only gives the basic and essential info plus a photo. Ultimately it’s the only thing we need to know. For the rest, I just have to trust the expertise of my matchmaker. (And then of course there is the unpredictable part: actual chemistry, or not.) I turned down my first match and the process resumed. My second match was sent within 8 days of the first one. I accepted the 2nd match and my date was set up within a week. I am currently waiting to meet my match. Fingers crossed!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I enjoyed the blind date last weekend. Everything matched per my criteria of my desired female profile except for a few, hence not going on a second date. But, she is a nice lady. Both my IJL manager and me are on the same page and I enjoy working with her. I recommend IJL. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They both have been very friendly and helpful. They are quick to respond to emails and return phone calls. It's like talking to a friend, they are nice. They have always answered any questions that I have had. They make the process a less nerve racking.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have never gone out of my way to write a review but I am hoping this saves at least one poor soul from the deception of It's Just Lunch. This whole business is a scam to make money. They have mastered it down to an art. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE CONTRACT. They will find ways to cover themselves and fulfill it while setting you up on bogus dates with people (who aren't even paying members) just to get their contract fulfilled. They will claim that the person is a great match but in no way falls under criteria you gave them. They told me they had tons of matches and that my city was the greatest market!

Lies... all lies. My friend and I did it at the same time and they rotated guys between us. These men had no interest in even being on the dates and were no longer paying members. I wouldn't be surprised if they paid them. It's disgusting the way they take advantage of people. Either way you lose your money and they manipulate you in so so many ways to try to get you to go out with people you never wanted to date in the first place. They totally disregard the criteria you give them and don't even want to discuss it with you. I feel totally violated because they stole from me. My time, my money, my dignity and my emotional sanity. Not to mention they are totally disrespectful and rude. The biggest waste and mistake I have ever made. BUYER BEWARE! Don't be another IJL victim!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Erica is so great at taking the time to learn what is important to me. The conversation is never rushed. She gives me confidence that she truly has my best interests!! She just wants me to have a good time! Just love her!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Erica is very good. She is good at following up with the client. She has the natural ability to understand and feel what customer is requesting. She gets back to customer in timely manner and making close follow up with customer. She listens to customer and keeps good records of the information customer gives to her.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Do NOT believe the ads or what they tell you on the phone! IJL has a script that their charming on-boarders follow. At some point they will enthusiastically promise you that they have two matches in mind for you that are just perfect for you (Google: Reuters It's Just Lunch class action lawsuit). I feared IJL might be a scam. But their promises sounded amazing. So after lots of phone calls and soul-searching, I paid the $** and signed up.

I now understand that their pools of people are VERY small and that they have no problem lying to you repeatedly. They will match you up with anyone who is on their lists, regardless of those people not being at all what you were looking for. I was looking for someone between 25 and 29. They promised me they could do this. The matches they sent me were 36, 34, 41, 36, and 33. See any problem? They were also mismatched on other factors. I asked them for a refund. They said they followed through on their obligations. Based on the ages of the matches alone, does it sound like they followed through? Back to the two matches they said were just perfect for me and met all of my criteria. My minimum height criterion that they agreed to was 5'10". One of the "perfect matches" was 5'2".

They are DISHONEST. They do NOT play fair. They can be VERY charming. They claim they are "#1" and mention this often. I asked them how that was determined. They said "we decided we are." Huh? You decided that you're #1? How does that work? Save your $**. WHY the good reviews? The only thing I can figure is that in SOME markets at SOME point - they either 1. had enough people in the pool that they could actually match you with what you were looking for, 2. Pre-online dating, it was a legitimate service, or 3. The positive reviews are fake. I would do anything to get the $**back.

When I asked them about all the negative reviews I saw online before I signed up, they said "Well you know there's always angry people." Yes, there are. When you lie to people, defraud them of $**, and toy with their emotions - I suppose it makes sense that you would have angry people. Do NOT sign the contract. Take the $** and buy some new clothes and offer your friends a $1,000 or $2,000 reward for setting you up with someone you go on 3 or more dates with. You will thank me, save yourself a ton of regret, and end up with someone you might want to spend the rest of your life with! Photos of matches are included in this review. Notice one is a repeat. They promised to match me on this criteria: Age: 25-29, Christian, no kids, no previous marriages, Slender/athletic.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Signed up for IJL in February, under the false promise that I would receive 4 dates within a 6 month period or be eligible for a refund. 6 months went by, and I had no dates whatsoever. I did get stood up at the restaurant twice. After speaking with the representative on the phone, they don't issue refunds, despite what their contract says. They can keep throwing matches at you in perpetuity in an attempt to 'honor' the contract. You would be better off spending your money on a nice vacation.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I am new to IJL. So far my experience has been positive. Aleisha and Krystyl have been successful in finding matches and coordinating meetings. They each have provided energetic attention to me. My first date was a success and I am meeting that date again.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I want to thank Lisa for her kindness in this process. I was very disappointed with the dating director I originally had. Lisa turned this around for me. I truly believe she loves helping others to find a match. I understand there are many variables in connecting people, but Lisa listened to what I was looking for. She set me up with a great man that I had an awesome date with. During my date we both expressed how appreciation for Lisa as she is attentive to the details, while expressing happiness in what she does for others.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This review is for an older experience. When they cold called me and gave me a hard sell on the phone, they lied about the experience and their requirements/services/clients. I could not get along with my matchmaker or get her to understand what my preferences even were. It was incredibly frustrating trying to communicate with someone so stubborn, and I can't understand how people have given them positive reviews. My consultant eventually placed my account on a hold and never contacted me again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Monique seems to be a very thorough matchmaker who takes her job seriously and listens very well. I was happy that besides just e-mail she also called to personally discuss how a particular date went and to get specifics of where there was a fit and where there might not have been a fit.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Aleisha has been very polite and patient - don’t feel pressured. The dates have been very nice, high quality accomplished men. I haven’t found a match yet; however, the experience has been excellent consistently which I appreciate. All gentlemen, all interesting and pleasant to be around.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Either way, my experience with It's Just Lunch has been fine... Looking forward to new matches! I feel that if one wants to meet quality matches who are serious, matchmaking services are for you. Way different than regular dating sites and I prefer it. It is pretty expensive though.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have been very impressed and pleased with how personable, welcoming, and supportive the IJL specialists have been. Shilah was a wonderful first contact with IJL. She called the day after I expressed interested in IJL, patiently explained how it works and helped me start to build my profile. Darryl has been great! He arranged meetings for me to finalize my profile and calling me within an hour when I had questions. Now I'm waiting on the exciting part - meeting my first potential match. I will say, the wait time between completing my profile and organizing a first date has been longer than I expected, but I think it's just a change from the rapid dating culture. I'm looking forward to meeting a date that has been so carefully selected for me.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

They have been very professional. I have had two dates. The restaurants are very nice they choose. I have felt comfortable with my dates. Office staff, wonderful. Darrell and I always have a great time talking. With my feedback and his investment, I know I will continue to meet interesting people.

It's Just Lunch expert review by Mark Brooks

It's Just Lunch! is a matchmaking service that caters to professionals who would like to meet over lunch or drinks. This service has over 23 years of matchmaking experience.

• Uses professional matchmakers: Rather than leaving meetings up to chance, matchmakers meet with users for a confidential interview. They then match users based on the information discussed during this meeting.

• All matches take place at partner restaurants: It's Just Lunch! sets up dates at local restaurants they are partnered with, taking the stress out of deciding where to have the first date.

• Focus on privacy: Prior to the first meeting, users are only given their date's first name, description and reason why the matchmaker thinks the date will work out.

• Users can give feedback on every date: Whether a date works out or it is a dud, matchmakers want to hear what happened and follow up after every date to fine tune the dating process based on the user's experience.

• Matchmakers can be found worldwide: No matter where users are in the world, they can make a date through It's Just Lunch!

• Best for: People seeking a long-term relationship, people with hectic schedules and people new to the area.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

It's Just Lunch! Company Information