3.9/5 (165 ratings)

About It's Just Lunch!

It's Just Lunch is a personalized matchmaking service that caters to busy professionals looking for meaningful relationships in more than 110 U.S. cities as well as cities in Canada, the UK, Ireland and Australia. Matchmakers get to know members and use their dating preferences and relationship history to select matches. It's Just Lunch makes all the arrangements for comfortable and safe face-to-face dates, including the time and place. All members have to do is show up ready to meet their match. Potential pairs meet over lunch or after work for drinks.

Pros

• Guaranteed face-to-face dates
  • Free onboarding interview
  • Customized membership plans
  • Fully confidential

Cons

• Lengthy process
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

It’s Just Lunch offers an alternative to online dating apps with its personalized matchmaking services. You work one-on-one with a matchmaker who finds potential matches for you and sets up the date.

Top It's Just Lunch! Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Verified

I’m thankful for Debbie and IJL. She’s working hard to find the right man for me by listening and applying my desires. I appreciate the atmosphere this experience provides, and I ...

Verified

Marisol is amazing. She is always cheerful and professional. She makes sure that she follows up and is in touch constantly, most importantly she listens. I also appreciate her spe...

What is It’s Just Lunch?

It’s Just Lunch is a matchmaking service that pairs people based on their interests and relationship history. The company’s matchmakers set up a meeting place, typically for lunch or after-work drinks, for the couples to meet.

If you’re interested in joining It’s Just Lunch, you can either fill out a registration form on the company’s website or call for more information. You will go through a free onboarding interview process.

In the 30-minute interview, a dating specialist explains how the service works and asks you about your interests and values and what you’re looking for in a potential date. At the end of the call, the dating specialist offers you membership packages based on the number of dates you want to go on.

How does It’s Just Lunch work?

Once you sign up with It’s Just Lunch, you’re paired with a matchmaker. Your matchmaker spends time getting to know you, your dating history, your preferences and anything else important to your dating goals. At that time, your matchmaker collects payment and begins looking for potential matches.

Your matchmaker shows you photos and information about your potential matches and shares your photo and interests with them. Names and contact information are kept private. Once there’s a mutual match, your matchmaker communicates with your match to set up a first date at a restaurant, bar or cafe.

After the date is confirmed, your matchmaker lets you know where to meet and when. After the date, your matchmaker contacts you to discuss how it went. From there, they’ll set up another date with the same person or a new date with another potential match.

How much does It’s Just Lunch cost?

The cost of It’s Just Lunch varies based on the city you live in, how many dates you’d like to go on and your contract length. It’s Just Lunch doesn’t list prices on its website — membership packages are personalized to your preferences.

Your matchmaker goes over pricing and the packages you can choose from at your onboarding interview. Previous members say the cost typically ranges between $1,000 and $4,000, but $2,000 is the average price.

It’s Just Lunch FAQ

Who owns It’s Just Lunch?
It’s Just Lunch operates as a franchise. Each city has its own staff.
How much does It’s Just Lunch cost in Canada?
The cost of It’s Just Lunch in Canada varies based on which of the six locations — Calgary, Edmonton, The Okanagan, Vancouver, Victoria and Toronto — you live in and how many dates you sign up for.
Does It’s Just Lunch have multiple plans?
Yes, It’s Just Lunch has multiple plans. Plans are customized to each member and vary by the minimum guaranteed number of dates.
Is It’s Just Lunch free?
No, It’s Just Lunch is a paid matchmaking service. A typical membership costs between $2,000 and $4,000, depending on the member’s location, the number of dates a member wants to go on and other factors.

Does It’s Just Lunch work?

Yes, It’s Just Lunch works. The company has helped people go on more than 2 million first dates, with some leading to long, happy relationships and marriages. Matchmakers do all of the work for you, so all you have to do is show up. Plus, the people you meet through It’s Just Lunch are also looking for a relationship, which isn’t always the case with dating apps and other online dating services.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch!?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Original review: July 1, 2022

After reading some reviews and understanding that you need to be as descriptive as possible in order for them to find the most appropriate or desirable match, I signed up with IJL. While their fees are not nominal, it gave me the confidence that anyone signed up was more serious about finding the right person. I also didn't want any part of my profile publicly available, and discretion and privacy was taken very seriously by them. When I entered my information initially, I received a call the following business day. In the first conversation, they spent an hour understanding who I am and what my ideal vision of a person and relationship is, and got an understanding about my short and longer term relationship goals.

Less than 48 hours after the initial sign up conversation, my assigned representative Jorge contacted me, and got some more information from me. We met on a video call so he could get to know me more, and in less than a month he set up a meeting with someone I would never have dreamed of finding any other way. Today, we are both committed to understanding each other more to see where it goes, and the future looks bright at this point. But, my hat is off to the treatment and quality of people within their portfolio of clients. Not meaning to attach a monetary value to their service and expertise, but if I had known who I would end up dating, I would have paid ten times more and not even thought twice about it! Well done IJL and thank you Jorge!

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for all of this amazing feedback. We can't wait to hear how things go with your date!

Get buying tips about Matchmaking Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2022

This is my second time, as an active member, and I did it a second time because my first experience was very professional and fun. Unfortunately, the first round did not result in a match. I just began my second active membership with the company/It’s Just Lunch and I am hoping things will turn out better and I will find a good romantic match; and if not a friend, acquaintance at the very least. At this time, the company has changed some of its initial procedures/policies and they, in my opinion, are not as specific/detailed as they were when I initially dated via the company. I am hoping this will not lead to another unsuccessful dating experience. I am disappointed that the company no longer has an office in the geographic area I live in. I have only been working with my current Matchmaker for a short period of time, but he seems competent, professional, and knowledgeable. I hope his experience and expertise will result in a successful match for me.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Alisha, thank you for your continued trust in It's Just Lunch. Please rest assured that your matchaking team is focused on providing you with a posivive dating experience. We look forward to receiving your feedback after your upcoming date. Please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservice@ijlcorp.com if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Original review: May 19, 2022

When my earlier IJL membership expired, I had no intentions of renewal. My past experience have be someone of a disappointment with the appearance one takes on the membership, after being oversold on expectations, thereafter you never speak to the same person; certainly not the sales person who convinces you to take on the membership. Joanne M has presented herself otherwise, was sincere and she has taken on the role of being my primary contact in a manner exactly as she had promised. She has always been sincere, is dedicated and honest, and always responds to me in a timely manner.

In instances where I should do something different to improve results or expectations, then I hear of that from her as well. I have high expectations of my forthcoming date with Sandy on 04 May, and believe Joanne has really tried hard in finding this latest selection. If not Sandy, then I have no doubt Joanne will try just as hard for finding my next date. David

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We apologize that your prior membership did not meet your expectations and we truly appreciate you placing your trust in IJL again. Our team strives to meet our clients' expectations and we are so glad that your matchmaker has turned your experience into a positive one!

Original review: April 18, 2022

Marc has been an overall superstar of a matchmaker; this person has managed to pull miracle after miracle on short notice. Marc has gone above and beyond the call of a matchmaker and was borderline life coach and travel advisor on some occasions. With short notice of my travels, this man, this legend, has managed to set me up with matchES so I don’t travel blindly. This has happened enough times where this act is now referred to as the “Hand of Marc” where the miracles happen when he gets involved.

Marc is my 4rd matchmaker from IJL and overall 7th matchmaker I’ve dealt with, and he was the first and only one to take the time and connect like a person, rather than just a quick matchmaker. That being said, my experience with IJL was not so positive, but my experience with Marc was something REALLY enjoyable. He would be the most relatable and take the time to get to know me and thoroughly advise on matches. After some conversations with him I am confident that he understand me more than any other matchmaker I experienced, as I feel he sees me more than words on my profile. Not only does he have the background information of my profile, but he also has experience in my mannerisms, communication and general “human” personality, not to be confused with “applicant” personality.

My experience with IJL started rocky, and after 9 months of membership, poor communication and lack of matches, I lost faith in the service as my previous matchmakers, which a new one would reach out randomly, would only reach out on rare occasions, giving me a feeling of being forgotten and cast aside. Once I started connecting with Marc, I had the feeling that there was hope in the matchmaking services as long as he was my point of contact. In the past month I have communicated with Marc MORE than all other matchmakers COMBINED in the previous year. He gives me a feeling of being human and having hope in the service as he took the time to know me for me. I KNOW if he is involved, my match and I, won't just be gold standard, but hold a “unicorn” status to each other. Something that has only been seen in movies. I’ve been able to meet 3 unicorns before signing up with IJL and I just know that with Marc we could meet more.

At first I was content with searching in my local city, and I was insistent in staying in Toronto, but after connecting with Marc, and knowing that he is my matchmaker I have expanded to all of North America. He has instilled a sense of hope that that I lost with the service. With Marc I feel as though I am more confident to push my boundaries looking for that Unicorn; since being his client, I’ve had a greater level of “hope” and feeling of being human that I feel I can push other boundaries of my professional and personal life as I know my love life is in expert hands.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for your terrific review and for sharing your experience. As we say at IJL, "Matchmaking isn't a job. It's our passion!" and your review is a glowing example of IJL's matchmaking passion at work.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I was assigned to my matchmaker - Ms. Debra. When I had a virtual meeting with her, I knew that I could find someone sooner or later because when she introduced herself by saying that she was a good matchmaker for majority of her friends even before she started working at IJL. I had a few meetings so far; These were new learning curves for me.

Some restaurants were badly organized. However, with all the emotional support and encouragement from Debra, I do have a faith that I can find someone soon. One time Debra had to call me and the restaurant several times when I was waiting for my match for 30 min due to the restaurant staff's mistake and inconsiderate attitude. Anyway, it all worked out at the end. I was a bit upset and angry, but when I had a review session with her after the meeting, she explained that some restaurants were short-staffed under the pandemic and she made me calm down. Debra organized next match for me, and I am so excited to explore.

It's Just Lunch! response

We appreciate the open and honest feedback about the process and will share it with our team. Debra is here for you every step of the way, as is the entire IJL team.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

When I joined IJL, I was skeptical; online dating has become a meat market and I wondered 'could this be any different.' The rep I spoke with sold me on the idea that all IJL clients are paying the fee because they too are looking for a relationship. She also sold me on the idea that I'd work with a matchmaker that would "work hard to know just what you're looking for."

Unfortunately, IJL could be translated to "It's Just Lies." Nothing about what I was sold has been delivered to me. Two years in and instead of the 12 dates promised in their agreement, including "about 2 matches a month" the rep promised, I've been matched on only 3 dates but have been passed around to more than 15 diff't "matchmakers." I've since come to discover that this is the norm for IJL clients. I haven't been matched with a date for more than 9 months, and now have reached out to IJL more than 6 times in the last three months and haven't received any response at all.

IJL is all about sales and taking your money. They do NOT care about getting to know their clients (how could they when they shuffle matchmakers around constantly?). I finally lodged a formal complaint and was deferred to their air tight contract which is clearly written to support their predatory business model -- the contract provides no timeline for fulfilling their "12 dates" agreement. Don't expect anything they sell you in the consultation call; it's all designed to get your money and move on.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Tiffany, our Client Care manager has contacted you to address your concerns. We look forward to working with you and working towards a positive outcome.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Kenia is very nice and is excited about matchmaking. She has put a lot of effort with my account and is very communicative. She is sensitive to scheduling and personal preferences. I feel Kenia’s best quality is availability, communication and understanding.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks for the great feedback Robb!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Lilliane was so amazing to work with. She listened to everything I was looking for and set me up with the perfect woman! The date ended with a kiss and I’m putting my account on hold to make future plans with my date! Thanks, Lilliane!

It's Just Lunch! response

Such amazing feedback!! Keep us posted on your date, we can't wait to hear more!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I invested a couple thousand dollars for what would be, and continues to be, a very lackluster experience. I've been bounced around to 5 matchmakers, have been set up on wrong dates, been set up with a very passive/aggressive matchmaker who questioned my taste in her date picks and promised a ROBUST amount of dating opportunities. I've had more luck personally using free sites like Bumble and Match and for FREE. There have been long stretches of time where I hear nothing from my matchmaker 5-6 months at a time.

The dates they've set up have been with poor communication, I've NEVER had any of my matchmakers follow up for meetings on feedback post dates. The dates/men they've set me up with always share similar experiences with me. I've had 4 dates in 2 years. Thank god I didn't just rely on this company to get myself out there or I'd be in a retirement home by now. I've disputed to get my money back and it's been a waste of time. I have a podcast, a large social media following and large influence with the women in business in my community and any opportunity I have to steer them from investing in this company I will till I get my money back or they somehow turn their service around.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Diana, we are sorry to hear you have not enjoyed your experience as this is not the norm. Your matchmaker contacted you to discuss your concerns, we look forward to hearing back from you.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Wow! I've met several smart, beautiful, fit women through It's Just Lunch. I'm a man in my early 60's, a professional, who was married for 33 years and dreaded entering the dating scene. It's Just Lunch has allowed me to meet women in a comfortable, low pressure setting, where we can easily communicate and get to know each other.

It's Just Lunch! response

We love to hear you are enjoying the dating process. We are here every step of the way and look forward to helping you lose your single status!

It's Just Lunch! Company Information