3.6/5 (176 ratings)

About It's Just Lunch!

It's Just Lunch is a personalized matchmaking service that caters to busy professionals looking for meaningful relationships in more than 110 U.S. cities as well as cities in Canada, the UK, Ireland and Australia. Matchmakers get to know members and use their dating preferences and relationship history to select matches. It's Just Lunch makes all the arrangements for comfortable and safe face-to-face dates, including the time and place. All members have to do is show up ready to meet their match. Potential pairs meet over lunch or after work for drinks.

Pros

• Guaranteed face-to-face dates
  • Free onboarding interview
  • Customized membership plans
  • Fully confidential

Cons

• Lengthy process
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

It’s Just Lunch offers an alternative to online dating apps with its personalized matchmaking services. You work one-on-one with a matchmaker who finds potential matches for you and sets up the date.

Top It's Just Lunch! Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Verified

I’m thankful for Debbie and IJL. She’s working hard to find the right man for me by listening and applying my desires. I appreciate the atmosphere this experience provides, and I ...

Verified

Marisol is amazing. She is always cheerful and professional. She makes sure that she follows up and is in touch constantly, most importantly she listens. I also appreciate her spe...

What is It’s Just Lunch?

It’s Just Lunch is a matchmaking service that pairs people based on their interests and relationship history. The company’s matchmakers set up a meeting place, typically for lunch or after-work drinks, for the couples to meet.

If you’re interested in joining It’s Just Lunch, you can either fill out a registration form on the company’s website or call for more information. You will go through a free onboarding interview process.

In the 30-minute interview, a dating specialist explains how the service works and asks you about your interests and values and what you’re looking for in a potential date. At the end of the call, the dating specialist offers you membership packages based on the number of dates you want to go on.

How does It’s Just Lunch work?

Once you sign up with It’s Just Lunch, you’re paired with a matchmaker. Your matchmaker spends time getting to know you, your dating history, your preferences and anything else important to your dating goals. At that time, your matchmaker collects payment and begins looking for potential matches.

Your matchmaker shows you photos and information about your potential matches and shares your photo and interests with them. Names and contact information are kept private. Once there’s a mutual match, your matchmaker communicates with your match to set up a first date at a restaurant, bar or cafe.

After the date is confirmed, your matchmaker lets you know where to meet and when. After the date, your matchmaker contacts you to discuss how it went. From there, they’ll set up another date with the same person or a new date with another potential match.

How much does It’s Just Lunch cost?

The cost of It’s Just Lunch varies based on the city you live in, how many dates you’d like to go on and your contract length. It’s Just Lunch doesn’t list prices on its website — membership packages are personalized to your preferences.

Your matchmaker goes over pricing and the packages you can choose from at your onboarding interview. Previous members say the cost typically ranges between $1,000 and $4,000, but $2,000 is the average price.

It’s Just Lunch FAQ

Who owns It’s Just Lunch?
It’s Just Lunch operates as a franchise. Each city has its own staff.
How much does It’s Just Lunch cost in Canada?
The cost of It’s Just Lunch in Canada varies based on which of the six locations — Calgary, Edmonton, The Okanagan, Vancouver, Victoria and Toronto — you live in and how many dates you sign up for.
Does It’s Just Lunch have multiple plans?
Yes, It’s Just Lunch has multiple plans. Plans are customized to each member and vary by the minimum guaranteed number of dates.
Is It’s Just Lunch free?
No, It’s Just Lunch is a paid matchmaking service. A typical membership costs between $2,000 and $4,000, depending on the member’s location, the number of dates a member wants to go on and other factors.

Does It’s Just Lunch work?

Yes, It’s Just Lunch works. The company has helped people go on more than 2 million first dates, with some leading to long, happy relationships and marriages. Matchmakers do all of the work for you, so all you have to do is show up. Plus, the people you meet through It’s Just Lunch are also looking for a relationship, which isn’t always the case with dating apps and other online dating services.

It's Just Lunch! Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch!?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Original review: July 1, 2022

After reading some reviews and understanding that you need to be as descriptive as possible in order for them to find the most appropriate or desirable match, I signed up with IJL. While their fees are not nominal, it gave me the confidence that anyone signed up was more serious about finding the right person. I also didn't want any part of my profile publicly available, and discretion and privacy was taken very seriously by them. When I entered my information initially, I received a call the following business day. In the first conversation, they spent an hour understanding who I am and what my ideal vision of a person and relationship is, and got an understanding about my short and longer term relationship goals.

Less than 48 hours after the initial sign up conversation, my assigned representative Jorge contacted me, and got some more information from me. We met on a video call so he could get to know me more, and in less than a month he set up a meeting with someone I would never have dreamed of finding any other way. Today, we are both committed to understanding each other more to see where it goes, and the future looks bright at this point. But, my hat is off to the treatment and quality of people within their portfolio of clients. Not meaning to attach a monetary value to their service and expertise, but if I had known who I would end up dating, I would have paid ten times more and not even thought twice about it! Well done IJL and thank you Jorge!

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for all of this amazing feedback. We can't wait to hear how things go with your date!

Get buying tips about Matchmaking Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2022

This is my second time, as an active member, and I did it a second time because my first experience was very professional and fun. Unfortunately, the first round did not result in a match. I just began my second active membership with the company/It’s Just Lunch and I am hoping things will turn out better and I will find a good romantic match; and if not a friend, acquaintance at the very least. At this time, the company has changed some of its initial procedures/policies and they, in my opinion, are not as specific/detailed as they were when I initially dated via the company. I am hoping this will not lead to another unsuccessful dating experience. I am disappointed that the company no longer has an office in the geographic area I live in. I have only been working with my current Matchmaker for a short period of time, but he seems competent, professional, and knowledgeable. I hope his experience and expertise will result in a successful match for me.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Alisha, thank you for your continued trust in It's Just Lunch. Please rest assured that your matchaking team is focused on providing you with a posivive dating experience. We look forward to receiving your feedback after your upcoming date. Please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservice@ijlcorp.com if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Original review: May 19, 2022

When my earlier IJL membership expired, I had no intentions of renewal. My past experience have be someone of a disappointment with the appearance one takes on the membership, after being oversold on expectations, thereafter you never speak to the same person; certainly not the sales person who convinces you to take on the membership. Joanne M has presented herself otherwise, was sincere and she has taken on the role of being my primary contact in a manner exactly as she had promised. She has always been sincere, is dedicated and honest, and always responds to me in a timely manner.

In instances where I should do something different to improve results or expectations, then I hear of that from her as well. I have high expectations of my forthcoming date with Sandy on 04 May, and believe Joanne has really tried hard in finding this latest selection. If not Sandy, then I have no doubt Joanne will try just as hard for finding my next date. David

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We apologize that your prior membership did not meet your expectations and we truly appreciate you placing your trust in IJL again. Our team strives to meet our clients' expectations and we are so glad that your matchmaker has turned your experience into a positive one!

Original review: April 18, 2022

Marc has been an overall superstar of a matchmaker; this person has managed to pull miracle after miracle on short notice. Marc has gone above and beyond the call of a matchmaker and was borderline life coach and travel advisor on some occasions. With short notice of my travels, this man, this legend, has managed to set me up with matchES so I don’t travel blindly. This has happened enough times where this act is now referred to as the “Hand of Marc” where the miracles happen when he gets involved.

Marc is my 4rd matchmaker from IJL and overall 7th matchmaker I’ve dealt with, and he was the first and only one to take the time and connect like a person, rather than just a quick matchmaker. That being said, my experience with IJL was not so positive, but my experience with Marc was something REALLY enjoyable. He would be the most relatable and take the time to get to know me and thoroughly advise on matches. After some conversations with him I am confident that he understand me more than any other matchmaker I experienced, as I feel he sees me more than words on my profile. Not only does he have the background information of my profile, but he also has experience in my mannerisms, communication and general “human” personality, not to be confused with “applicant” personality.

My experience with IJL started rocky, and after 9 months of membership, poor communication and lack of matches, I lost faith in the service as my previous matchmakers, which a new one would reach out randomly, would only reach out on rare occasions, giving me a feeling of being forgotten and cast aside. Once I started connecting with Marc, I had the feeling that there was hope in the matchmaking services as long as he was my point of contact. In the past month I have communicated with Marc MORE than all other matchmakers COMBINED in the previous year. He gives me a feeling of being human and having hope in the service as he took the time to know me for me. I KNOW if he is involved, my match and I, won't just be gold standard, but hold a “unicorn” status to each other. Something that has only been seen in movies. I’ve been able to meet 3 unicorns before signing up with IJL and I just know that with Marc we could meet more.

At first I was content with searching in my local city, and I was insistent in staying in Toronto, but after connecting with Marc, and knowing that he is my matchmaker I have expanded to all of North America. He has instilled a sense of hope that that I lost with the service. With Marc I feel as though I am more confident to push my boundaries looking for that Unicorn; since being his client, I’ve had a greater level of “hope” and feeling of being human that I feel I can push other boundaries of my professional and personal life as I know my love life is in expert hands.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for your terrific review and for sharing your experience. As we say at IJL, "Matchmaking isn't a job. It's our passion!" and your review is a glowing example of IJL's matchmaking passion at work.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I was assigned to my matchmaker - Ms. Debra. When I had a virtual meeting with her, I knew that I could find someone sooner or later because when she introduced herself by saying that she was a good matchmaker for majority of her friends even before she started working at IJL. I had a few meetings so far; These were new learning curves for me.

Some restaurants were badly organized. However, with all the emotional support and encouragement from Debra, I do have a faith that I can find someone soon. One time Debra had to call me and the restaurant several times when I was waiting for my match for 30 min due to the restaurant staff's mistake and inconsiderate attitude. Anyway, it all worked out at the end. I was a bit upset and angry, but when I had a review session with her after the meeting, she explained that some restaurants were short-staffed under the pandemic and she made me calm down. Debra organized next match for me, and I am so excited to explore.

It's Just Lunch! response

We appreciate the open and honest feedback about the process and will share it with our team. Debra is here for you every step of the way, as is the entire IJL team.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

'It's Just Lunch' was a waste of time and money, especially for the price the consumers pay. 4 of the 6 guaranteed "dates" were some of the worst dates I've been on. After providing feedback from the first date, which they claim helps them in the 'matchmaking process,' the following three dates were even less aligned with the characteristics I was looking for in a partner. During my initial conversations, I was very clear in stating I did not want children, nor did I want my partner to have children. When I received the call with a description of my third "match," the "matchmaker" I spoke with shared that the potential match they wanted to set me up with had two children. When I reiterated to her that I did not want children and my partner having children was a deal breaker, the "matchmaker" had to audacity to ask, "Are you sure? I think you would be a great match!"

How would we be a great match if the guy has children, and I was clear in stating I do not want them?! It was at this time it became abundantly clear to me that they're simply just matching me with anyone who is available; they are a business and the "matchmakers" are salespeople who have a quota to meet (a guarantee of 6 dates during the 6 month contract), rather than actually putting forth the effort to find someone who would legitimately be a good match. On SEVERAL occasions, I thought about just not showing up to any of the remaining dates because I was so frustrated and disappointed in the dates and the effort being put forth, especially for what I was paying.

My fourth date was several years older than the max age I requested, but the loophole there came when they failed to tell me how old he was, and it was my miss to not ask the question at the time of the date confirmation. My fifth date was a smoker, which was another deal breaker I shared with them at the beginning, and when I provided that feedback, I was told they 'didn't know'; and admittedly, I put zero effort into the final date, simply because I was mentally done, and just so excited to be done with my IJL contract. If I could give zero stars for this review, I would; I would NOT recommend the IJL experience to anyone.

It's Just Lunch! response

We regret to hear you did not enjoy your experience dating with IJL. A member of the local office will reach out to address your concerns. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

I wish I had read more reviews about It's Just Lunch and fully read the contract before signing up and paying the fee. Now I'm stuck, out thousands of dollars, and realizing too late I've been scammed. I asked before I signed up how they found the people they match you with and was told it wasn't JUST their own clients. Even in the paperwork they say that they source clients. But that is a LIE!! They will only match you with paying clients. The majority of their clients are older men. It should have been a red flag to me that they say they REQUIRE Women to date men up to 10 years older than them. Men are NOT required to date people older, and only after I paid was, I essentially told that they would only be looking to match me with older men. This feels incredibly predatory.

I signed up for it because the person selling me the services made it sound like it wouldn't be an issue, that I could say I wasn't ok with being matched with men 5 years + older than myself and there were enough men in their system they could accommodate that. But it was a LIE. If you want to sleep with your father, or your father's best friend, this is the service for you. If you do not have phycological issues and don't want to be preyed upon by older men run, RUN as far away from IJL as you can! Unfortunately they pressure you to sign the contract right there on the phone with them. So I didn't have time to thoroughly read it. They e-mail it to you and want you to open it and sign it RIGHT THEN with them on the phone, which doesn't give you time to read it. So I didn't see the part that waives your right to hire a lawyer.

If you have any issues with their services, you first are supposed to address your issues with your matchmaker. If the matchmaker can't solve the issues, then you have to go talk to the Customer Service Manager or IJL VP of Executive Matchmaking so they can gaslight you. And your matchmaker turns over so even if you do have a conversation with them and feel like maybe next time things will be better - next time it's a totally different person contacting you! So all that personal information you just gave to the last matchmaker is not lost. They basically write what THEY think was important about your first 30 minute conversation into a computer, checking some boxes, and then will use a computer to match you with people based on the boxes they checked.

Half of the matches I received were people who didn't match specific criteria I gave that I said was my "must have's" - the reasons I joined the service in the fist place. So either they ignored what they wrote in the computer, or they didn't even record it in the first place. You're much better off paying a friend/family/complete stranger you found yourself online to run a dating profile for you through an app. You'll save money and at least that person will listen to what you say and actually be working for you, not just trying to take your money.

It's Just Lunch! response

Jessica we are disappointed to hear you are not enjoying your experience. A member of our team will reach out to address your concerns via telephone. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

I cannot recommend this enough, the interview was very thorough and my matchmaker took the time to really chat and get a feel for me as a person. Very simple and straightforward process. It takes the guesswork out of potentially dating because they will pair you up with someone who wants the same things as you. The service is perfect for the modern world of dating, and I would sign up again in a heartbeat. I had more success finding someone in 3 dates than I did in 5 years of meeting people off of Match or eHarmony. Thanks to It's Just Lunch I have found my partner and equal, who I plan to spend the rest of my life with. I am so grateful and hope more people decide to give them a try. I guarantee if they can just be patient that they won’t regret it. I signed up in May and by October I’m in a committed relationship.

It's Just Lunch! response

We are elated to hear you met your special someone and are so happy for you both!!! Our enter team is passionate about our clients and helping them lose their single status!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

Dates have gone well. Working with my matchmaker, Debra S. has been very smooth as she is very knowledgeable and has assisted me with the whole process of getting back into dating. Matches have all been well thought out and the dates were fun. Looking forward to working more with Debra.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks James! We look forward to our continued partnership in dating as well.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Prior to Debra being assigned as my matchmaker, I was bumped around with different matchmakers with no notice. The process was "sold" to me as I'd work with the same person from the beginning to the end of my IJL journey. Once being connected with Debra the lines of communication improved; for that I'm thankful. She follows-up and is easy to talk to. I rate my experience with 3 stars because there have been hiccups along the way such as getting "re-matched" with someone I'd already been out with and the date had not gone well. In another instance I was given the impression that the gentlemen had seen my pictures and really wanted to meet me. However, when we met, he had no idea what I looked like which was incredibly awkward for both of us. I'm feeling less and less confident with each date... while also understanding that on some level the ups and downs of this process yield growth.

It's Just Lunch! response

We appreciate your open and honest feedback about the process and look forward to improving your experience.

It's Just Lunch! Company Information