4.0/5 (1166 ratings)
Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

About Jitterbug Flip

The Jitterbug Flip2 is an easy-to-use flip phone designed with older adults in mind. The phone has big buttons and a large screen for easy navigation and dialing. All plans include urgent response, which connects the user with a live agent in the event of an emergency. The product comes with a caregiver app and a partnership with Lyft.

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Pros

• Helpful caregiver app
    • Nationwide service
    • Emergency assistance plans

Cons

• No waterproof options
    • $35 activation fee

Bottom Line

The Jitterbug Flip2 cell phone is for those who want a simple flip phone that can also double as a medical alert device. It’s not waterproof, but the display is easy to read and instantly connects to urgent responders.

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

Jitterbug Flip Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jitterbug Flip?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

The inability to increase the audio to a level of understanding the caller's conversation despite additional speaker help was a deal breaker. Was advised that a replacement would have the same deficiency, wow. What a shame in that the phone has everything we wanted in a phone except the audio which negates everything including the wonderful customer support. The phone must be returned and the process has begun requiring our paying all postal fees and being advised it will take 5 to 6 weeks for a refund, why we ask this long and told they must examine the phone to assure the phone is not damaged, it takes 5 weeks to check out the phone?

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Raymond, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to review your account further. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional information.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Just sharing the experience my Dad has had. We both liked the idea of him having a user friendly phone and being able to call for help if he fell, etc. His complaints are that even on speaker the sound is not loud and he has to hold the phone close to his ear. Also, he says it's difficult to make a picture larger to see the detail. That could be user error or not. Unsure. However, my main concern as his daughter is the scammy fees and add on costs. There is no unlimited text/talk/internet for one set price. Each of them costs a fee and then even more money to get more internet time. He ended up not getting the emergency call system because of the increasing cost.

Even more concerning is they will call the day of and threaten to turn off your phone THAT day, if you have run over your allotted time and you don't do an instant verbal authorization over the phone to allow them to do the add on charge right there and then. That is super scary to me. Living in another state, I do not even want to think about my Dad being alone without his phone. So, overall I would not suggest. We will be adding my Dad to our family plan which is what we should have done in the first place. Sincerely....a concerned daughter.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Christine, we are sorry to hear of your experience and would like to assist you further. GreatCall offers unlimited talk, text, and data plans. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details, so we can assist you properly.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Had an early model which worked well, and the battery held a charge for approx. 6 days. The Company sent a Newer Model (which I did not request), and deactivated my original Flip phone. The "New" Model will not hold a charge for more than 3 days - even when turned Off! It also takes approx. 3 hrs to recharge! Called about this and was told to replace the battery - Not Cheap, Yes they charged me for it! Did not resolve the problem, in fact it got worse! Now if it holds a charge for 2 days I'm lucky! You can't travel anyplace in the USA without carrying the charger with you and God Forbid you travel to another country (You're out of Luck at getting it charged)!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Leon, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to review your account further. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional information.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

May seem like a small problem but it is very large for a 99 year old woman (my mom). Caller ID on her phone has stopped working. She has been told to hang up if she does not recognize a number/person because of all the scams out there. She cannot tell it is me calling. So I can't contact her. My brother tried to associate a ring tone for family members but that does not work either. Jitterbug support acknowledged the problem with caller ID but offered no workaround and no fix date. It's been two weeks. This is not a good phone or company for the elderly! It's all marketing with nothing behind it.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Luna, we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem. We would like to review your account further. Please look for a private message from us requesting further details.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I wish designers had experience with elderly people with beginnings of dementia. Telephone is not simple if an inadvertent press can disable a phone or make it not ring out loudly. First, the manual is incomplete. It lacks a full description of the menus. By the way, menus are of no use to people with dementia. They can perhaps open and close the phone, and dial a number. That is about all. A slide on/off button clearly labeled would be good - where you can see that the phone is on or off by looking at the button or by feeling it.

Yes and No buttons are also confusing to people who are not very comfortable with menus on devices. They were even confusing to me, and I work with computers daily. A sliding button for volume may also be a better idea. Looking for someone to design a phone for the elderly who can make it work, allow helpers to set a ring that can be heard, and to flash lights as an alert. This “ simple” phone is a long way from being simple enough.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Karen, we are sorry to hear of your experience with the Jitterbug Flip phone. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available and we greatly appreciate your feedback to improve future models.

Resolution response: Jan. 3, 2020

Finally after 4 months, and multiple phone calls back and forth and communication via this site I got my refund. Now as I stated to them, I am still concerned that with all the time and persistence it took for me to get a refund, I don't think my elderly mother would have been able to do this and most would just take the loss. I hope that they will consider improving their customer service and policies to be more consistent, as I did speak to a few individuals that actually wanted to help get me resolve (and appreciated their professionalism), but others that would give me different responses (even though all my calls and information was being documented) which made for the cycle of calls and different individuals you have to go thru during this process.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Purchased a phone for elderly mother's use. Everything checked out for area coverage so we proceeded just to find out they have issues with network and devices! So, their service might not work for you. Ok, so now,what? Initially everyone is very helpful trying to "troubleshoot." In our case it just meant much wasted time. On the phone back and forth (you never get the same person to see the process through) and time mom was without a phone, returning one phone to be sent another and.... trying again. Only to conclude this isn't going to work. My next disappointment was how again, everyone is scripted to be helpful and understanding and assure you they will seamlessly help with returns and refunding you, but I guess if you aren't going to be a regular customer you kinda get put on the low priority.

I have made several calls and keep getting put off. I was finally told at least 15 business days from the time they received the returned phone. I waited an extra week past that, just to have everything reiterated to me and that it would be "escalated" with the financial team and to give them at least 3 more business days! Oh, and I should take (more) time to check back with them.. No, they don't plan on calling me (as good customer service would dictate) after they dropped the ball. I'm glad my elderly mom isn't having to deal with this, but makes me wonder with as many elderly that they service, how many are getting taken and may not have the cognitive abilities to remember "Hey that's right, I have a refund I'm supposed to be getting from them.. I better follow up with them." So far this ongoing "process" has taken over 2 months and going on 3 now!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Deborah, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have bought 3 phones beginning November 29, 2018. I was told when I added the other 2 phones that I would get free activation fee since I was already a customer. That was a lie. Also, I was told I could ask for Tootie and she would help me. That was a lie. Had a bad mix up with telephone numbers getting changed that shouldn't and other mistakes made when I bought the 2nd phone.

Then my husband got a smart phone on November 4, 2019. He was told there would be no problem to keep his old number. That it would be changed as soon as his phone was activated. That was a lie. It takes 3 business days and a lot of passwords and account numbers from the other carriers and then the same number may not be available. Then when you try to explain to someone else what people have promised, it's like, "Oh well not my problem." So we have 3 phones. I like the phones but don't care for the customer service. I thought it was for old people unfamiliar with the latest technologies. Someone needs to tell the customer services reps.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Cindy, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I purchased this phone for parents because of the simplicity of its functions. There are two major issues. First, the ringtone volume is too low. Even at maximum, they rarely answer the phone because they can't hear it. Even myself and my brother found it difficult to hear. Also, if one of your contacts call you, only their number appears on the screen. We all know how scammers target older people. I've always told my parents to not answer the phone if it's someone they don't know. They can't remember all of their contacts' number - who can!! So there is no protection from scammers - they answer their calls not knowing if the call is from a scammer or not. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Vicky, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Basically, I love this easy flip phone EXCEPT for this major issue. EVERYONE tells me my voice is muffled! I have called and complained about this. I have to end all calls early because the other person can't really understand what I'm saying because it's so muffled. I cannot keep this phone, unfortunately, if this continues!!! It's a major flaw. What is the point of having a phone where no one else can hear a clear voice??

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Diane, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Have been a GreatCall customer for many years. Bought my Dad the original flip phone which finally just wore out. Upgraded his phone to this new flip phone that specifically advertises LOUD QUALITY SPEAKER. What a HUGE disappointment!! The sound quality is absolutely HORRIBLE!! My Dad is slightly deaf, so he prefers to use the speaker option. I can't even hear it and my hearing is fine!! Even the sound in the actual earpiece is ridiculous. Called GreatCall immediately after activation. Come to find out that this is an ONGOING PROBLEM with the phone. Apparently something to do with "the software". It's disgraceful they continue to peddle this phone KNOWING it's faulty!! Shame on GreatCall! Will be returning phone and switching to another company/carrier ASAP!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Andrea, we are sorry to hear you encountered a problem with the Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Jitterbug Flip Phone has broken software that makes it so callers cannot hear you on the Jitterbug. We got the phone in 6 months ago and are slow to acknowledge the fatal issue. We were also told that after 30 days you cannot return the phone for refund. GreatCall says in the comments here just call them to "resolve" the issue. And no you cannot return phone for refund after 30 days. The Samsung Smartphone works fine. But you sure do not want the Jitterbug that they know does not work.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Jeff, we are sorry to hear your Jitterbug Flip phone is not working properly. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I bought a Jitterbug flip phone for my senior citizen mother and within a few months it has multiple problems including occasional 'brick'ing with inability to charge; failure to indicate ring tone when calling; a diagonal line distortion that now crosses the entire LCD internal screen. What are my options with getting Jitterbug to do something about this? I have no confidence in the phone's reliability for her when she needs it.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Al, we are sorry to hear you encountered a problem with the Jitterbug Flip phone. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Ordered the Jitterbug on their 30-day "trial" basis with a temporary number until I decided to transfer my husband's number over. Trying out the phone at home was difficult to hear and had a bad connection. My husband didn't like it and I sent it back with-in about 15 days. I received a refund back (because they charged his card $120.04 in the beginning (in case we decided to keep it). But the credit was minus $12.53. Not only did I pay for shipping it back to them, but they charged me for their shipping cost (hence the $12.53). This was never told to me when she "sold" the phone. Just beware and ask about all costs!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Janet, we are sorry about your recent experience with your Jitterbug phone. Per GreatCall’s 30-day return policy, stated in our Terms and Conditions packaged with each phone and can also be found on our webpage https://www.greatcall.com/legal/guarantee, states for any reason within 30 days from date of purchase, you are not completely satisfied with your phone or device, we will refund the activation fee, the first month's service charge, the cost of the phone/device, plus applicable taxes, less the restocking fee and shipping fee, as long as you do not exceed 30 minutes of talk time. If you have any further questions, please reach out to us or call Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632, between 5am and 10pm, Pacific Time.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Updated on 10/15/2019: My first review of this is from early September. I had the same issue that continues to happen with the garbled speech with no resolution....appears still no resolution. I did cancel the contract and sent the phone back. I have tracking number that they received it back on 9/16, but still no refund. I sent an e-mail to the person I'd been working with - every e-mail takes 2 days for a response. Today, I got response that they had no record of receiving it back. I have tracking number showing the time and date received. I was waiting as they indicated could take 20 or 21 business days to process. They have now had the phone back in their possession for a month!

Since the e-mail contained a phone number to call and I did not want to wait another 2 days for response, I phoned in. After giving the rep the tracking number and her seeing it was received, I was put on hold for about 3 minutes while she contacted a manager. Then I was told that all she could do was e-mail the tracking number back to the person I'd contacted via e-mail already. I could have done that without calling!! I sent another e-mail to that person as well, but of course, do not expect a speedy reply! I have found my entire experience with this company to be horrible. Would NOT recommend. We will see if I ever see a refund!

Original Review: I ordered this phone for my 90 year old mom. She needs just to be able to make calls, answer calls and get voice messages. The salesperson was great. He assured me that this was a great phone for her needs, that it came with a temporary number and we could try it before bringing her old number over. HOWEVER, the problems started when the first phone was received. It failed to activate properly--ERROR CODE 7. I called customer service and was advised that the phone had to be replaced and new phone expedited out and return envelope sent for getting the bad phone back. Once the second phone was received we set up and got going easily. However, the speech quality was very garbled and often unintelligible. We tried some different settings without success and I called customer service. I was advised there was an update that needed to be sent and would be 7-10 days.

We waited. (All this time trying to use a phone where callers could not understand the words) We thought the issue was a bit better, but no one had advised a way to confirm if the update went thru.. So, a few days later, again horrible speech - sounded like underwater having a stroke. Called again. Told the update had not gone thru and could I take the phone to an area that was closer to the towers. I got right in the car and drove to the nearest city. Called back (different rep of course) and told that the request from 13 days prior was never sent out and that I did NOT need to be in a different area for the update to go thru. At this point, I lost patience. The rep indicated he would send request again and would update in 12-24 hours...

Never went thru (I now had the secret code to call on the phone to check the version and knew what version was bad and which was the updated). There were a couple other odd things that I contacted them about as well, some of which were done, some not. I did look at other reviews after we had the phone problems and saw that this garbled speech has been a known issue and was a known issue before I ordered the phone. They told me they knew the phones in the warehouse were with the bad firmware. Why would a company send out phones that they knew would not work properly? If they had to due to "activation by the customer" why would they not tell the customer that an update was needed and warn of the problems? Also, with all the various calls I made, why did I have to discover that this was a known problem from reading online reviews? The phone is going back today and we are moving on to a different option.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Jean, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Purchased this device a few months ago for my 90 year old father. He needed a device with larger keys and ease of use. This device has the larger keys but is confusing to use. It doesn't operate like other phones. But the most disturbing thing that I encountered is that it does not ring very loudly even on the Max setting. Since I live several hours away I was not able to observe him using the phone prior to the 30 day refund period, now we are stuck with it. Customer support said that the phone rings no louder than any other phone, but I find that it does not ring as any that I tested it against. I will be returning him to his pre-paid phone.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Gwen, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PHONE AND SERVICE! My parents (83 and 87 yrs old) wanted a simple phone for emergencies. We bought the Jitterbug Flips and have used Great Call for 4-5 yrs. Everything was fine until my dad's phone died. We got the newer flip phone in early June and it still IS NOT usable. I cannot understand a word he says. Called CS many times and their comments were, "We will send a software update out", "blow in the speaker to try and clear dust out", "we will escalate your update", "you will be priority and phone should be updated by (day)." Well, after several "phone should be updated by.." the phone is still useless. We are currently facing Hurricane Dorian.

My 87 year old dad was out trying to get necessities and he calls me from his phone. I had no idea what he was saying. Did he need help, was he stranded, etc. I have had it with their broken promises. As soon as we get through this Hurricane we will be getting new phones and service provider for both of my parents. As a side note, they won't send you a new phone because they supposedly have the same problem. It also does not take 4 months to send a software update out to these phones. Jitterbug/Great call-you should be ashamed of yourselves for scamming people. I thought you were better than this.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Robin, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your patience and assistance in resolving the issue, we are happy that your father now has a phone that is working. Kind Regards

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I bought a Jitterbug Flip on 8/4 for my 80 yr mother w/ dementia. Was drawn by the easy to read functions and in particular the voice command feature. It has been nothing but a nightmare since. I had to return the phone, per customer service, phone not functioning properly. Received second phone, seemed to work for about a day. Trying to call the phone is a hit and miss deal. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. More NOT than than anything. The calls usually do not go thru and I'm told to contact CS. I need the phone w/ me to troubleshoot. Phone is 30 miles away. So I have to wait until my next visit to call. Voice command is also dicey. When I ask it to call so & so in my phonebook. I'm told there is no such person listed.

Yes & No keys not always so straight forward, if phone does not like your response it will keep you going in circles when u know for sure that your answer was the correct one. Yes or No, how much simpler can it get??? If I am frustrated, just think how my poor mother feels. Now I have received the first bill, and I'm being billed for 7/6 thru 8/6. I didn't have the phone in July. My next billing is due 9/6. CS tells me I'm being charged a month in advance. Ok, fine since I didn't pay a fee to activate when I purchased. But, having to pay my next bill in 2 weeks, give me a break! I would think that you would credit the account since we have NOT been able to use this phone. Sorry guys, going back to T-Mobile where they actually do give u credit for any hassles and have much better service!! Your team needs to keep in mind who their end user is, and develop and program accordingly.

Jitterbug Flip response

We are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip and we appreciate your feedback. To go through troubleshooting please have the phone available and contact Customer Service between the hours of 5am and 8pm Pacific Time, Monday – Sunday.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I bought this phone for my husband who has a hearing aid. Even when I have it on speaker I have a hard time hearing and my hearing is excellent. I've called many times (twice today) and they say they are updating the software but nothing changes. We love everything else about this phone but volume is the most important for my husband. Look for another service for him. More than frustrated and disappointed.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Linda, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I purchased a JBug for my 70+ y.o. Mom. She wanted something easy to use for emergencies. In some ways the phone is easy to use, in other ways it is very frustrating. #1. The buttons are VERY STIFF and hard to press for arthritic hands. You would assume they would be soft touch but they are hard to push. #2. Phone has this crazy "yes/no" system of asking you if you want to do something, but it's not always easy to determine what is it asking you. There were times she wanted to delete a text message that the phone would just take her round in circles and she would be back at the main menu and it still showed she had unread messages. The only reason we got the phone was because of "Adam's Father" (can't recall his name) who advertises it. He seems very trustworthy. Surprised he would lend his rep to this inferior product. There are certainly better basic flip phone available, such as CC, which we now use. Thanks.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Jane, we are sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with the Jitterbug Flip phone. The phone is designed to be very simple and the buttons are designed to make it easy to see and press. Our award-winning U.S.-based customer service team stands ready to walk our customers through how to use the phone.

Original review: July 30, 2019

My mom went over her minutes and was charged 155.00 over her payment for two months. GreatCall said they call her once and spoke to her, she is 83 with Dementia. She either ignore it or was confused. The phone itself was good, and easy to use for a cell phone. But billing must be watch by someone cause they will not adjust anything and considering she is on a fixed income left with only $90.00 each month after paying rent for her assisted living residence it really cut into what saving she had.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Andrea, we are sorry to hear about the recent overage charge. As a courtesy, GreatCall does reach out to customers when they are in danger of exceeding, or have exceeded their monthly plan limits for voice, data, text and international roaming. If we should be calling a different number when this occurs, please contact our Customer Service to place another number on the account. In addition, you may view the usage on the phone, through www.mygreatcall.com, or contact Customer Service. We are available seven days a week at 1-800-733-6632 between 5am and 8pm Pacific Time.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We were told when we got this phone in early June that the speaker problem would be resolved by a software update at anytime. I was sent a new phone to cool my jets. This phone has the same prob as expected but it's now the end of July. I'm sure this software issue is total B.S. and that they can't fix the prob. Isn't this a form of elder abuse?

Jitterbug Flip response

Hi Ken, we are sorry to hear about your experience and we would like to review what has occurred. At your earliest convenience, can you please reply to our private message with your account information.

Original review: July 25, 2019

We purchased a Jitterbug Flip several months ago for my 94 yr old mother who has had a cell phone for many years. She has experienced trouble hearing the caller on other end, and they have had trouble hearing her ever since she received her phone. Some calls are bad on her end, some on the other person's end. It does not happen on every call, but most. We were told that the new software patch would fix this issue, however we waited for months and nothing happened. When we called back in to the company they tested her phone and told us it was not working.

A replacement phone was sent out that was supposed to have the new software patch already installed. We received it this week AND THE PROBLEMS ARE NOT ANY BETTER! Verizon we have had your service for all our family phones since the early 1980s and have been extremely happy with the call quality and coverage. It is not right that you are taking advantage of elderly people that have only a cell phone. You're better than this... FIX THIS PROBLEM...or refund our money and we'll take our families' business elsewhere.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Ronetta, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. We would like to look into your account. Please look for a direct message from us.

Original review: July 25, 2019

My mother needed a cell phone & supposedly Jitterbug is a good choice. She has difficulty hearing if the phone is ringing, but worse than that if she makes a call it is so garbled you have to guess at what she is saying. Hopefully if she ever needs to call 911 they will respond because you cannot understand what is being said. I wish we would have gone with a different company but don't want to confuse her more by switching now - she is 84 years old.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Vicky, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. If you have not done so already, we recommend that you call our 100% U.S. based Customer Service, 1 800-733-6632, between the hours of 5 am and 8 pm Pacific Time, from another phone, for a resolution of your issues.

Original review: July 23, 2019

My mother loves the phone, but God help you if you exceed the minutes on the plan. Due to a landline failure that took several days to repair, she did just that. Though the account is in my name and I pay the bill, they called her AND MY BROTHER (WTF?) and insisted they make a decision RIGHT NOW to increase the minutes on the plan or they would discontinue service. They did not call ME, and they demanded an immediate decision--or they would turn the service off RIGHT NOW. When my brother called me--GreatCall never did--I called GreatCall and was subjected to an offensive, insulting tirade about what a great service they were doing to warn us about the minutes overage, and why wasn't I grateful?

They use high-pressure instant-decision scare tactics like this because they are normally dealing with the elderly. I cannot overstate the lack of professionalism their customer service exhibited. This may be the worst customer service experience I've ever had with any company--and I'm sixty years old, I've had many. If you decide to purchase one of these phones for an elderly relative, be aware that this is what you can expect.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Fredrick, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. We would like to look into this matter further. Please look for a direct message from us.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Can't understand person who is calling from the phone. They said they would update the software weeks ago but NOTHING has happened. They are ripping off seniors - PERIOD. My 88 year old father-in-law has had Jitterbug in the past that have been OK but this latest one is AWFUL. He even went and bought a second phone to see if it was better and it's just as bad.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Jay, we are sorry to hear about your father in laws health. Thank you for providing the account number to review the account. Please allow us some time to review the account. May we have a good contact number where you can be reached?

Original review: July 23, 2019

I signed up my parents this past May (both in the their 80s) for the new Jitterbug Flip Phones with the large buttons and simple interactive screen that they had seen on tv (they both have failing eyesight). After initial setup, I tested their phones by calling my parents landline with their new Jitterbug phones, one at a time. As my mom tested her phone by talking to me while I was on their landline, she sounded like she was calling from the Twilight Zone! Then, dad called the landline with his new Jitterbug flip phone, and he sounded like he was calling from another planet. His voice was all broken and garbled.

I called customer service in May, and they told me that they were in the process of updating the software to 4G and that this audio patch update would correct the issue. In mid-June, the problem was still there. I called customer service back again, and they told me that they are aware of the issue and that their software patch has still not been released due to engineer issues. They assured me that the issue would be resolved by the end of June '19.

Today, 7/22/19, I tried both phones again at my parents home by calling the landline, and they both sounded as bad as before. What good are these phones for seniors who would try to call someone for help, if the recipient of that call cannot understand a word that they are saying? Also, I am retired IT, it doesn't take 3 months to install a simple software patch! If my team did that, we'd have been out of a job. I switched my parents from Verizon to these phones because these phones have the big button keys so that they can see them to dial a call. My parents are not strangers to cell phones. I have had them signed up with Verizon for over 20 years, where sound quality was always crisp and clear!

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Michael, We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. We would like to further review this issue. Please look for a private message from GreatCall to further assist with the above issue.

Original review: July 22, 2019

My mom has owned previous Jitterbugs before updating to the Flip. This phone has horrible sound (other people only hear garbled words). After owning it for a mere 3 months, It will not hold a charge. Do not waste your money. We are currently considering other phone and carrier options.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Martha, We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. We would like to further review this issue. Please look for a private message from GreatCall to further assist.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Just received this phone and the volume is so low could barely hear. Called GreatCall and customer service said she would send an update and to wait 4 hours for it to take effect. After 4 hours no improvement and in the meantime I read the reviews on this page and realized that this problem is common. Called back and spoke with another rep. Told him the update did not work and that I had read that this volume problem is common.

He said, "Well you can believe what you want to believe but it is NOT a volume problem. It is a signal problem and customer service cannot send you an update - you must have misunderstood". I did not. He said only the technical department could send an update. Talked to me like I was 100 and senile. I realized I could not argue with him. He said I would receive an update in 7-10 days and to wait 3 more days for it to take effect. So GreatCall is signing up new customers and sending out phones that they know will not work properly because of this so called software issue. That is not right.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Elaine, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. We would like to further review this issue. Please look for a private message from GreatCall to further assist.

Original review: July 21, 2019

We got the Jitterbug Flip for my 82 year old mother-in-law. I set it up for her and I manage her account thru GreatCall. This is a simple phone but call quality and loudness is horrible. At first we thought it was just poor call connections. A phone that is marketed to be a lifeline for seniors should not be of such poor quality!! When we call her and her friends call her she cannot make out the conversation. The speakerphone is a joke. It is LESS LOUD with it on. I turned the speakerphone off for her and turned the volume ALL THE WAY UP!! She cannot understand the words when people call her on this phone. We are so disappointed. We would like to return it. Best Buy return policy is already expired and reading the GreatCall warranty doesn't seem much better. I thought just might be a bad sample, but the reviews on here lead me to believe otherwise. Such a disappointment for what could be a great product and service.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Bill, We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. We would like to further review this issue. Please look for a private message from GreatCall to further assist.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I purchased this phone on July 18th for my 80 yr old dad who lives by himself, hard of hearing, and has poor memory. Jitterbug advertises this phone as having a POWERFUL SPEAKERPHONE, but actually it has the lowest volume of any phone I have ever seen. I called Jitterbug on 21 July and was told a patch has to be pushed and they will add the phone to the priority list. The patch will be pushed in 7-10 days and it will take another 3 days to go through. In other words, this phone will not be usable for at least 2 weeks. I cannot begin to describe my level of frustration. Unfortunately I did not research reviews prior to purchasing the phone because AARP and a few other online sites labeled this as the best phone out there for seniors.

It is a complete rip off because after going through the reviews, Jitterbug has known about the problem for months and still working to fix it. Knowing that people are purchasing this phone for the elderly, Jitterbug should have put a hold on its purchase until the problem was taken care of instead of selling a defective product. I work full time and now I have to figure out how I will be able to get in touch with my dad. Thanks a lot Jitterbug, for absolutely nothing. And please don't send me your "sorry about the phone, contact us to see what we can do" crap, just fix my phone so I don't have to worry about my dad's safety!! My recommendation to ANYONE...DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PHONE for your elderly parents. You will be disappointed and filled with anxiety if you are trying to reach them. Shameful.

Jitterbug Flip response

Hello Beulah, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. All new (originally purchased) GreatCall phones, come with a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. We would like to further review this issue. Please look for a private message from GreatCall to further assist.

Jitterbug Flip Company Information