It's that easy Request Information
4.36/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Direct Energy gives customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. We make energy work harder for our over four million home and business customers across North America. We compete to earn their business every day. We empower our customers with simple solutions to track, understand, and control the electricity and natural gas they use. With these insights, they can make smarter decisions, be more efficient, reduce their energy and save money. The right plan is waiting for you. Call us today!

Direct Energy Video
View More View More

1446 Direct Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I did an internet search and Direct Energy seemed to have a better offer than other companies, so I went with them. My experience with them has been good so far and everything has been very consistent. I have them for almost two years now and I never had a problem.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I've been using Direct Energy for years and the price has gone up. I was paying right around $80 a month and then all of a sudden, it went up to a $150. And then when I called, it got back down. I probably should have shopped around a little bit more.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My neighbor had Direct Energy and I liked the price and the fairly good ratings. Direct Energy is good and if you pay your bills on time, there isn’t any problem. Their price was better than what I had before but at that time, everything was high. I was gonna shop around because I want to lock my rate in again. Over the summer, I was pleasantly surprised that the amount I paid per month did not seem to go up that much. Since I’ve been with them, my bill is lower and I haven’t had any disruption other than the typical problems with transformers, floods and things that we’re not in control of. I have been with Direct Energy for a couple of years and I either pay online or by phone. Their website is user-friendly. As long as their rate and process are good, I would stay with them.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Direct Energy had the month-to-month thing and I didn’t have to sign a contract. My lease is only for nine months, so I couldn’t sign a contract for a year. So, they worked best for me. Signing up was easy, and everything has been good ever since I had them. I’ll recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I started out with Reliant but it seemed like I was calling them more than I wasn’t. I was done with them. I switched to Direct Energy and I’ve been with them for seven years. Most of the time, their customer service is 100% awesome. Everybody is nice, friendly, and helpful. But it aggravates me that I have to call when the contract is up and renegotiate. A girl called and said that I was late. I told her I understood that. But my husband gets a social security check, and until that happens, I can't do anything. I couldn't pay them.

Also, one of their reps got in the computer, messed everything up and took me from 5.6 per kilowatt to 16 cents per kilowatt. I got a shocker bill this month. It was the highest bill I have paid in the last three years. My rate has changed and Direct Energy's guy could only give me a $50 credit on the bill. The people that are playing on the computer need to be careful. Other than that incident, my experience has been wonderful. I’m constantly telling everybody about Direct Energy. My sister’s boyfriend is using TXU. I told him he was an idiot and he needed to switch to Direct. Anytime I have any kind of power outage, I can call their number and they keep me informed on when and all that, so I love it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We've had Direct Energy for forever and we've had a very good experience with this company. I haven't had any problems with them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I used to be with TXU Energy and my bill with Direct Energy is cheaper.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Direct Energy's prices are better than my past provider so it's the company to go with. Plus it's more compatible. Their reps were also very professional, informative and knowledgeable about the product.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I had Direct Enegry at my business years ago before we switched to it at home. We got a little bit better rate from them at the time and we have them for at least seven years now. So far, our power rarely goes out but that’s probably the delivery company rather than Direct Energy’s issue.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I wasn't happy with my energy provider. One day, a guy from Direct Energy came to my door. I switched to them and during the application I interacted well with their rep. It seems like I am getting a better deal out of Direct Energy's services as compared to my previous energy provider. I would recommend Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

A neighbor sent the Direct Energy representative over to my house and it had a little bit lower rate. Also, the rep was good and professional. I’ve been with them for a month now and I’ve had a lower bill since I started using them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I did not know that there would be extra charges from our local gas supplier, who owns the pipeline. It's not a lot, but it adds up. Then, if you do not pay close attention when your contract expires you will be on a variable rate. Ours went from $.40 per CCf to $.94 per CCF. This is obscene. Beware, the alternate gas companies are not, I repeat, are not regulated by your State regulatory agencies.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I've been using Direct Energy for over two years now. I just renewed again. But now, my bill's coming up higher, and I'm not happy with that. I used to have free weekends but they told me it wasn't gonna work out for me supposedly. Nevertheless, their customer service reps were friendly and knowledgeable. I just referred someone over there. So hopefully, Direct Energy has the $50 to myself and to the one I referred it to.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was looking online a long time ago and we switched over to Direct Energy because they have better rates. I've been with them for nine years now. I like their online service. It's pretty good. I usually get weekly updates. But now, every time I switch to a new plan, there seems to be a lag with them getting those. The only thing that's aggravating as well and it's everywhere, is that if you've sign up for a plan and then you've never been late your bill still goes up. But I guess that's the thing with energy prices. You get a company that's like "Hey, we'll give you this rate for a year, and this one, we'll do this." There's better rates out there, but because I've had Direct Energy for so long and because of their website I'll just stick with what I got.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

People from our apartment complex said that Direct Energy was one of the top companies that was recommended. We have been with the company for four years, and their service has been great and we've never had an issue with them. Our electricity flows and it comes in 120 and 60 hertz. However, the price has been a little strange. We have the Free Power Saturday plan, and they say it's an average of 11.6 a kilowatt hour, and when you look at the bill, there's like 18 cents and it's kind of all over the place. It is still manageable though.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was going by rates and chose Direct Energy. The rates were better when I first got it, but the rates went up now and it fluctuates. When the term runs out, it fluctuates a lot. Sometimes it doesn't make sense. I need to get a lot better rates because my house is a high ceiling house. It needs more energy to fill up the space.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Direct Energy had a special going on at the time where nights and weekends were free, and it got me to sign up with them. Their team was able to answer all my questions and provide me with service, and their service is fairly priced.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Someone came and knocked on my door saying that they were with Direct Energy and asked if I was interested in switching over. They gave me a price and assured me that it wouldn’t go up in a year. I was paying more money at the time with a different supplier. The process of hooking me up with Direct Energy was very pleasant and quick. I’m always receiving offers in the mail, like giving me $360 off if I switched. But I haven't taken any of them up on it yet, so I must be satisfied with Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

There was a young man that came to my door and wanted to talk to me about my electrical and I was not happy with what I’ve been having with my bill. The Direct Energy fee was so much less per unit and so I signed up with him, and I have been totally pleased because my bills have been so much less than what I was paying for many years. I have not noticed anything different than what I’ve experienced all through the years that I’ve had electricity.

My electrical service has always been good. Anytime that I’ve had the lights go out, or lose my use with my electricity, I’ve called them right away, and been informed that it’s already been already taken care of, and they’ll let me know when it’ll be back on. However, in the last year, my rates have gone up more than I had expected so I wasn’t too thrilled about that. But we’ll see how it plays out. I talked and told others that I’m with Direct Energy and they said that it was something to think about.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

My electric bill was going up and up all the time with my previous energy provider. One day, people from Direct Energy, who were nice and polite, came to my door and they told me that I have much money to save with them. I got their services, but three months after that, my bills were still very high. I was then told that there is another thing that I could get on to this year. It is a different plan with an energy saver and, so far, it has been better. It is saving me some money. Also, their customer service has been working with me. If I wanted to pay a little bit later, like pay half now half later, they do not tell me I cannot do that. They are doing really good with that. I'm satisfied with my experience with Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Direct Energy's customer service has been good. I have always had good interactions with their team. Their professionalism and knowledge are good. Plus, their prices have been competitive enough that it’s not worth it to change. I would recommend Direct Energy. They’ve been a good company to do business with.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I've been using Direct Energy for three years now and their services have been wonderful. I like their prices and the offers were really good. When I renewed my contract the first year, I spoke to somebody from customer service and he was awesome and very professional. I like him very much. He was very informative and so he let me know what I needed to do and how often I needed to do things and we got it fixed right away.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had a friend talk about Direct Energy. He gave me a reference and I looked on over the reviews. I also heard it’s a good vibe so that’s what made me go with Direct Energy. The sales was good, and everybody was easy to talk to. They gave me the layout which was charged and it pretty much was sold. They all did a good job in communication and answering my calls. They have been spot-on since I've been with them. They answered all the questions I had and they have handled everything the way I wanted it to be handled, without the hassle and holding. Everything was good. I'm keeping Direct Energy when I move into the new house.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I’ve been using Direct Energy for more than four years already. I switch to them due to their price, and also because they have free electricity for a weekday, on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. But I didn't put Direct Energy on my new house. I checked the plans online and got a better deal with the other company, so I switched it. Nevertheless, Direct Energy's customer service is good.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I liked Direct Energy's price. Signing up was easy, too. We just filled a little personal information, and they took care of changing me from my then current provider over to them. They also included a Nest thermostat in the deal. The service works well. I hit the switch and the light comes on, and my bills aren’t exorbitant compared to anybody else’s. I told other people about them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Direct Energy was the cheapest of the ones that I had seen initially and at this point, I’ve had them for a while. It’s a month-to-month, cancel-anytime kind of thing and I haven’t had any problems with it so it’s been great. My experience with them has been fantastic.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

One time, I signed up for two years with Direct Energy. At that time, they were offering a really good deal and it was less than TXU. Another time, I signed up for a year, but I was on their month-to-month in between. When I called about the contract at the end, I didn’t take it because it was a pretty high rate. So far, the last two bills have been fine. Plus, Direct Energy is good compared to my previous providers.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I got Direct Energy because of how much the kilowatt was for an hour and I've been with them so long now. I moved from one house to the other and I called them and told them to transfer towns and it was done. Also, I've called and told them get a little more competitive with their numbers, they did and we're still with Direct Energy. They're pretty good.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I’ve had Direct Energy for 15 years. I had them when I was at an apartment and when I bought my house, I just transferred it over. I'd tell friends that with Direct Energy, I haven’t lost power much.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We chose Direct Energy for the cost two and a half years ago when we moved into our house. It was part of the service that we had with our inspectors. I just renewed a couple of months ago and there were no issues. Also, interactions with their team were good. We went through it and talked about the rates. They offered me the Hive and different things like that. I would recommend Direct Energy.

Direct Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Direct Energy is one of the state’s largest electricity providers. Founded in Toronto in 1986, Direct is an international company that also provides consumers - both residential and commercial - with other utilities, including natural gas.

• Legacy: Direct Energy is one of the oldest providers of electricity in Texas, since the company has been around since 1986.

• Selection: Direct Energy offers a good selection of electricity plans, which allows customers to pick a plan that fits their budget and electricity needs.

• Location: Direct Energy is a large company, and they have offices and outposts in more than 30 cities across the state.

• Customer service: Because the company is large and international, many customers must deal with many bureaucratic steps in order to get customer service.

• Consumers: Consumers who are not on a fixed-rate plan or who are renewing their contract may see increases in price from month to month or year to year.

• Best for: Residential customers, midsize and big businesses