4.52/5
  • 1 star
Based on 553 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Direct Energy is one of the largest retail energy providers in North America for homes and businesses. We work hard to earn the trust of our customers through education, wide-range of energy plans and service options.

Direct Energy’s flexible protection plans and staff will make sure the process is easy and the progression works for your family and lifestyle. Our goal is to help customers save money, save energy and improve the functionality of their home or business. Call us today or visit our website to learn more!

Direct Energy Video
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 12, 2018

739 Direct Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Direct Energy is cheaper than our previous provider, but we got a really high bill and I had to call them. They treated me good and I got the price straightened out. They’re a great company and everything is all right now.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We have lower monthly bills with Direct Energy and had no problems when I call them to renegotiate the price every year.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We researched on the web and Direct Energy was the only company we found that would do a ground mount. We had National Grid but we’re not totally off the grid so we still have them and they are comparable. The only difference is, now, I don’t have a bill.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Direct Energy was less expensive compared to our previous provider so we decided to go with them. However, we've lost the heat and we've been without it for about a week. But we have it restored. Up until then, I have more money working with them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I'm with Direct Energy again because I had an excellent experience with them. They treated me good and I have lower monthly bills.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Direct Energy said the rates would stay the same but it would make a big difference on my gas bill. At first, they were great and there was a difference, but not so much now as it is a little higher.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

We're happy with Direct Energy. They are probably cheaper than anybody. They're $8.39, which is way down below every source. They took care of the service being set up. I called them and then they took it from there on. They told us how much it would be and then they wouldn’t go off for 12 months. We’re with Direct Energy for 18 months now as we resigned with them again. We're locked in for a year but there was no contract. We can get out anytime we want. Unlike the other company where we had to stay during the duration of the contract and needed to pay $100 to get off. Since we're retired and on a fixed income it helps that Direct Energy is cheaper and the distribution is so way up high so we still save some money. I'm happy just the way it is. I would recommend Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I used to have a different company that was bought out by Direct Energy and the services provided since the switch have been the same. I only called their team once and they did the job. Use Direct Energy if you can.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I’m retired and on a fixed income. Every dollar I can save really helps. I get electricity from Direct Energy and it was cheaper than Eversource. Everything else seems to be going up and I’m happy with Direct Energy's rate and it is locked in for a year. I hope they’ll keep their rate lower than the others, especially for people in our area. We got this extreme cold and we’re using more electricity. I’m perfectly happy with Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Direct Energy seemed like a decent deal and since I got them, my bills looked a couple of hundreds cheaper than before. I have also dealt with a young gentleman from their office and he was nice and courteous.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Everything has been fine with Direct Energy and I've no complaints. I had a better bill one month but last month's bill was horrendous so we'll wait to see what this month is.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Direct Energy gave us a cheaper price and their service is as good as another company. I'm satisfied with the experience.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I took Direct Energy at their word that we're getting slightly cheaper electricity. I had a long conversation with their representative when we first signed up. He was helpful and courteous. And other than that, they sent us a Nest for free as part of the initial offering. It's a thermostat that you set and it gets your patterns when you come in and turn on your furnace. However, it never worked.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I had an excellent experience with the company I used prior to using Direct Energy. Massachusetts caused some problems which they usually do, and the company I had before Direct Energy was very good at working the issues out for me. But I also haven't had issues at all with Direct Energy. I would have stayed with the previous company except Direct Energy had a significantly lower Kilowatt hour price at the time I switched to them. But since I've been with Direct Energy, I've had an excellent experience with them. And I stayed with them even though they were a couple of cents higher now than some of the competitors. The Direct Energy team has been everything that I expected and more. They listened to my question and answered it and then they shared information with me that I didn't ask for.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We've gone through several companies and Direct Energy has been transparent like all the other companies we've had because Columbia Gas controls the pipes and the billing. Initially, my wife accepted one of the contracts with Direct Energy when they called because they had a better price. So far, we've been getting the volume of gas that we need on time so we've not had any issues and we've not had to call Direct Energy for any problems, which is a good thing.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I've had Direct Energy before. I went with them because the rate offer that they had was for a longer period of time and it was appropriate, so I didn't want to have to change every three months. I've been happy with them. They've opted out of the Plenti Program which was a very nice feature that they had. Their team has been wonderful as well. They are very explicit in explaining their product and their rates. They're very open about the changes in the rates and when the billing cycles are. They're very good about telling about programs that they belong, to which is really nice. Because I didn't know until I signed up that they were even involved with Plenti. I've never had a nasty conversation with anybody. Once it is set up, it is easy. My experiences have been all positive.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for leaving us such a great review,Judith! We really appreciate your feedback! If you ever have any questions about your account, feel free to reach out to us. Have a great day! ~Payton

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I’ve been with Direct for quite a while and compared to our previous provider, Direct is always cheaper than the rest of them. Whenever I talk to their reps when they call us and tell their price, they’re always nice and tried to explain everything to me. The other companies started to hound us and trying to get us to switch over. But I’m satisfied where I’m at and I’ve always had good experience with Direct.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I was with PPL but I switched over to Direct Energy because of the price. Everything, even the customer service, was fine with Direct Energy. I've had them for years and even though everybody goes online and looks at rates, I still tell my friends that Direct Energy's still the best and that they stay the same.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I like Direct Energy. They do what they are supposed to do and they are the cheapest. Their prices went up a little bit, but National Grid is still a whopping 19 cents a kilowatt hour compared to 10 cents with Direct Energy and other providers out there. I use 40-kilowatt hours a day here. The whole house is on electricity, and I'm getting bills anywhere from $250 to $300 a month.

I call the team at Direct Energy when the contract runs out or they get in touch with me and ask me if I want to renew or they automatically renew if I don't do anything. If I change from Direct Energy to some other seller of electricity, it gets complicated because the energy companies that sell the energy like Direct Energy have to get in touch with National Grid, which is the supplier. They only accept applications at certain hours of the day. I missed a billing cycle of the month, and I ended up having to stay with National Grid for a whole billing cycle before I got changed over to 8 cents per kilowatt-hour. National Grid holds the keys to everything.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

My mom had Direct Energy, and they were the cheapest one to go with at that time, so I went with them. However, some I’m seeing lately seem to be a little cheaper than them. Otherwise, so far, everything’s been okay.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Direct Energy has been great. I had Public Service Electric & Gas, and then I went with Direct Energy. They're a little bit cheaper than Public Service. Their team answered my questions and they were very polite and courteous and they explained everything. They notify me when it's time to renew the thing again and get a lower rate. I am very satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

In the beginning, I took Direct Energy because the electrical kilowatt rates were rising rapidly. Their service is great and I've already recommended them to my daughter and my son. When I spoke to the gentleman in customer service he understood my sense of urgency and was very helpful. I had a very high electric bill and was under the impression I was still under this other program. When I called Direct Energy, the gentleman said, “No it had lapsed a while back and you might not have read the letters." He wasn't pointing fingers. He was very friendly and he set me right up. And before I knew it, I was back at the rate that I really like. It made me more conscious to keep an eye on it. But I would really like it if they can send a postcard of a reminder, or a sticker we could put on the calendar or something we could put on our fridge.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for your feedback, Kim! We are glad to hear that the agent you spoke with was able to get you switched to a new rate plan that you are happy with. We apologize for any frustration this may have caused with not receiving the renewal notice. We were able to locate your account and do show that we sent a 60 day renewal letter to the service address on your account. If your mailing address is different please private message us with that address so that we can update your account. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns regarding your account. Have a wonderful day! ~Payton

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I've been with Direct Energy for quite a while. I'm with the gas with them now but I changed to them so they'll do my electric. The team at Direct Energy loves me. I voiced my opinions at that time I talked with them about it, and my opinions were taken care of. When we first started, the price was better. My husband and I decided, "Let's change." We've been happy with them ever since.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I used to have the old Public Service of New Hampshire. Then something showed up in the mail about Direct Energy. I did some internet research and I contacted them. They had a lower cost and I decided to go with them. I set everything up all over the internet. There was a little bit of correspondence, back and forth, and it was pretty seamless. I have them for a little over a year now and compared to my previous provider, Direct Energy is pretty invisible. All I get is a bill at the end of the month and I pay it. They're a good company to deal with and I'd recommend them. I'd tell my friends that if they're currently dealing with Eversource directly, they should at least go look at Direct Energy for potential savings.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

The people I spoke to from Direct Energy treated me very good. I have no problems as of yet. And I would recommend Direct Energy to others if they're looking for a change.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

When initially when I started with Direct Energy, I thought, "Well let me try it and see how my bill looks." The other companies that I called didn't give me any explanations. When I asked them questions, they were like, "It's in the letter." And I was like, "I don't know how to read my bill so that's not helping me." Direct Energy explained better and were a little more user-friendly. I did try it for six months and I saw that I was saving. Also, I haven't had any blackouts. I called their team about my budget and they were very user-friendly as well. I like to know how much I have to pay every month instead of trying to guesstimate. Everybody's been professional, very nice and helpful. I work in customer service for 38 years and you don't tell somebody that's a stupid question if they call. They have always been very nice and I got the quality of customer service that I like to give. It's been great.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Direct Energy needs to clarify our service because they don't do any other than they charge me money per unit of gas. told customer service I was going to get rid of them and they didn’t want me to do that. But they were fine. They lower the rate, but they do that for a specified time and it’s up to you to pay attention and you got to call and find out when the rate goes up. So, if you don’t want that, then you’d go to somebody else or have them give you a lower rate.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, Larry. We are happy that you decided to stay with us for your gas supplier! We do mail a renewal notice out prior to the existing rate plan expiring to inform you that the rate plan will be expiring and when so that you have time to renew before changing to a variable rate. I hope this helps and if you ever have any questions regarding your account please don't hesitate to contact us. Have a great day! ~Payton

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Direct Energy has a cheaper rate than what I was paying. However, it would be nice if the actual bill would state when the contract would expire. Because one time, my contract ran out and I didn’t know. They told me they've sent me a letter but I get so much junk mail and I only pay attention to my electric bill. But overall, it has been a good experience with them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We've been doing business with Direct Energy for several years. We're happy with their service. The only comment I would have is that the electric bills have been going up a lot by what I've been able to figure out. But the gas bills have been fine. Otherwise, we're satisfied with it.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Direct Energy's billing was cheaper, their service seemed reliable, and I've had no problems so far.

Direct Energy Company Information

1986
TX
www.directenergy.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use