4.52/5
  • 1 star
Based on 563 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Direct Energy is one of the largest retail energy providers in North America for homes and businesses. We work hard to earn the trust of our customers through education, wide-range of energy plans and service options.

Direct Energy’s flexible protection plans and staff will make sure the process is easy and the progression works for your family and lifestyle. Our goal is to help customers save money, save energy and improve the functionality of their home or business. Call us today or visit our website to learn more!

Direct Energy Video
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

763 Direct Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Our Public Utilities Commission puts out a list of qualified energy suppliers and Direct Energy was part of the list, and after comparing rates I went with them. You just sign-up, and billing is handled. This is my second year in the contract. We had an enrollment issue last year because they do things a little different there. For example, we have two electric meters, one for our lights and power, and the other one services our heat and hot water. Most suppliers, when you sign up with them, both meters get enrolled at the same time. With Direct Energy, we had to enroll the two separate meters separately. I think it actually ends up being two separate accounts according to them. So, there was just a little snafu in enrollment but they took care of it and everything went fine. Moreover, we have more financial savings over other suppliers.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

We've had Direct Energy for several years now. We were using ComEd before and Direct Energy rates was lower. The transition from ComEd to Direct was smooth. We haven't had any issues with Direct Energy and my bills are lower. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I first heard about Direct Energy from the web and I went with them for their price. Their service has been good and I'd recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Direct Energy is a little bit cheaper than the other companies. We've been with them for a while now, and we're having some savings from our energy bill. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Direct Energy's rate was lower then so I went with them. I get my gas and my bills every month, and I haven't had any problems with them. They increased their rates though and their reps told me that if I was not satisfied, I should try some other companies. I suggest that they let us know before the contract runs out what the new rate is going to be because they waited until the last minute to tell us. Nevertheless, I'd recommend others to go with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I did a web search and Direct Energy had the lowest rate. The sign-up was easy. They do all the work of switching, and you just tell them you're going to do it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Get Direct Energy if you can. I highly recommend them. Their people have always been very good, friendly, nice, courteous, and answer questions. I've been with Direct Energy for 17 years now and I am very satisfied. Working with them has affected my life in a positive way all the way around and I'm very thankful for that.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We have had Direct Energy in the past and I didn't have any issues. And here, they offered the best rate. However they were to call a month before the contract expires and sometimes they forget. I got caught one time at the end of contract date during the winter time. I had to pay them 10$ for CFM until I could get reinstated. Also I talked to Teresa and they had said something about sending me a $50 gift card before I cancel the Surge Plan but I never received that. I didn't sign up for that plan but the cancellation fee was $30 which I didn't like. I'll be calling them 45 days before my contract expires to check their rates. I want to stick with the company I am familiar with.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

It has been a while since I have had Direct Energy, and I went with them because they had a good offer, which saves money, at that time. Their reps give me other possibilities if I wanted to change, too. I have used Ameren before, but Direct Energy is cheaper. I don’t have a problem with them.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review from when you previously had our service, Donald. We're glad to hear that you though our offer was good and cost less than competitors! Have a great day! ~Payton

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I just renewed my contract with Direct Energy. I've had it for a while, and their rates aren't bad, but it's still expensive. Still, my experience has been good overall.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We have Direct Energy and their service is not bad. We don't lose power.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for the great review, Mohammad! We glad to hear that you are happy with the service and don't lose power! Have a good day! ~Payton

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

It has been a couple of months since I've been with Direct Energy and their reps did a good job. They were fine when I talk to them. So far I've had no problems with Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Since we started using Direct Energy, our bill went down a little bit. I would recommend Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Direct Energy's people were very nice when I talked to them about prices. I was with another company before them but they weren't too friendly. And I've been with Direct Energy for three years, and working with them has been good so far. I'd recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Direct Energy gave me better prices and their reps are polite and answered my questions. Overall I had a good experience.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Direct Energy is cheaper than our previous provider, but we got a really high bill and I had to call them. They treated me good and I got the price straightened out. They’re a great company and everything is all right now.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I’m with Direct Energy for gas and their price is better than what I was paying with American Electric Power. The customer service people of Direct Energy are very professional, courteous, and they answered all my questions. I've been with them for about 6 years for gas and I am satisfied. I've also been using them for a couple of years for electrical.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Direct Energy's rates were better than others. I signed up with them and when they send the bill, I pay. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We have lower monthly bills with Direct Energy and had no problems when I call them to renegotiate the price every year.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We researched on the web and Direct Energy was the only company we found that would do a ground mount. We had National Grid but we’re not totally off the grid so we still have them and they are comparable. The only difference is, now, I don’t have a bill.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Direct Energy was less expensive compared to our previous provider so we decided to go with them. However, we've lost the heat and we've been without it for about a week. But we have it restored. Up until then, I have more money working with them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I'm with Direct Energy again because I had an excellent experience with them. They treated me good and I have lower monthly bills.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Direct Energy said the rates would stay the same but it would make a big difference on my gas bill. At first, they were great and there was a difference, but not so much now as it is a little higher.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Direct Energy offered better prices when they came to our door. For the last 3 months I have paid over 130 dollars to Direct Energy. They say that they are just switching the provider but comparing they starting charging me to the previous month, I had consumed less gas and paid over 20 dollars more with their energy provider. I dont understand why so many nice reviews for this company when they are just like all other companies out there. I am happy to provide evidence of this if needed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

We're happy with Direct Energy. They are probably cheaper than anybody. They're $8.39, which is way down below every source. They took care of the service being set up. I called them and then they took it from there on. They told us how much it would be and then they wouldn’t go off for 12 months. We’re with Direct Energy for 18 months now as we resigned with them again. We're locked in for a year but there was no contract. We can get out anytime we want. Unlike the other company where we had to stay during the duration of the contract and needed to pay $100 to get off. Since we're retired and on a fixed income it helps that Direct Energy is cheaper and the distribution is so way up high so we still save some money. I'm happy just the way it is. I would recommend Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I used to have a different company that was bought out by Direct Energy and the services provided since the switch have been the same. I only called their team once and they did the job. Use Direct Energy if you can.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I’m retired and on a fixed income. Every dollar I can save really helps. I get electricity from Direct Energy and it was cheaper than Eversource. Everything else seems to be going up and I’m happy with Direct Energy's rate and it is locked in for a year. I hope they’ll keep their rate lower than the others, especially for people in our area. We got this extreme cold and we’re using more electricity. I’m perfectly happy with Direct Energy.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Direct Energy seemed like a decent deal and since I got them, my bills looked a couple of hundreds cheaper than before. I have also dealt with a young gentleman from their office and he was nice and courteous.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I've been here almost 20 years and in the time that I've been here, it's always been Direct Energy. The very few times I’ve had to talk with them on the phone, they've been fine. Before my husband and I got married, I was here handling some of the things because my name wasn't on the account. They wouldn't talk to me, which was cool. It's frustrating as the adult and the spouse in the house because you want to get something done, but I totally respect the fact that they are respecting his privacy and our privacy, and I appreciate that. Once my name was put on the bill, it was okay for them to talk to me.

The only problem I have had with Direct Energy was that they had someone come around over the past summer cutting down the trees that were hanging close to the wires. They took down one of our trees that didn't need to come all the way down and then left it lying in our driveway. But, after a little bit of talking back and forth, they came and took care of the problem. They've not ripped us off, and hopefully we’ve not ripped them off. We've had very few problems, so we'd recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Everything has been fine with Direct Energy and I've no complaints. I had a better bill one month but last month's bill was horrendous so we'll wait to see what this month is.

Direct Energy Company Information

1986
TX
www.directenergy.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use