Direct Energy

Direct Energy Reviews

About Direct Energy

Direct Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that services homes and businesses in select states and territories. The company offers online bill pay options and smart home bundles.

Featured Reviews

Verified
Fort Bend, TX

Direct Energy wasn't as high in cost as the other companies at that time, so I didn't have to pay as many. I signed up for two years in the Fort Bend area, west side of Houston. T...

Verified
Dallas, TX

...We used Reliant prior and I prefer Direct Energy over them. Our bills have been way less than when we were with the other provider and I have no complaints. Also, I haven't had...

What is Direct Energy?

Direct Energy is one of North America's top providers of electricity, natural gas and other energy-related products, including water heater rentals and warranties, for both businesses and homes. It offers protection, maintenance and repairs for all its appliances and systems, as well as easy-to-use software that helps track and control energy usage.

Direct Energy is a Texas-based company and serves a large population in Houston and Dallas. Not only does it give you the tools you need to be energy-savvy — it also prioritizes environmental sustainability and donates to various outreach organizations in the community, including Texas Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network.

Direct Energy plans

Buying energy can be a confusing process, but Direct Energy can help simplify electricity and natural gas purchases. The company offers contracts ranging from 12 to 36 months. On its website you’ll find available natural gas and electricity-based energy plans, with four electricity options you can customize:

• Fixed-rate plan: This plan creates a consistent bill based on a customized contract and offers protection from changes in energy market prices. Your price will stay the same for the duration of your agreement.
  • Variable-rate plan: This plan doesn’t offer a set rate or contract term. Instead, it’s based on a month-to-month basis. You can cancel your service at any time, but your rates will fluctuate with the market.
  • Smart home offers: This electricity plan is bundled with smart home devices like the Echo Dot.
  • Free electricity plan: This is a time-of-use plan that offers some free electricity depending on your daily and weekly energy usage.

For natural gas, Direct Energy offers only a fixed-rate plan in some locations.

Direct Energy rates

Direct Energy provides competitive electricity and natural gas prices in its service area. Although its rates constantly fluctuate due to the nature of the energy market, its electricity costs seem to settle around $0.109/kWh for the 36-month plan and $0.118/kWh for the lower-tier 12-month plan. All its electric and natural gas plans come with a $4.95 base charge.

Direct Energy FAQ

Does Direct Energy offer month-to-month plans?

Yes, it offers variable rate plans for electricity (but not for natural gas).

Does Direct Energy offer natural gas plans?

Yes, Direct Energy offers fixed-rate natural gas plans in select states.

Where is Direct Energy available?

It’s available in 15 U.S. locations — Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, and Washington, D.C. — as well as three in Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario.

Can I pay my Direct Energy bill online?

Yes, you can manage your account online and pay your bill through the easy-to-use website.

Is Direct Energy legit?

Direct Energy is a legitimate energy provider that supplies over 6 million homes in the U.S. and Canada with natural gas and electricity. Its award-winning service is likely to meet your energy needs, and its competitive rates and upfront pricing make it worth considering if you’re looking for a new provider.

Direct Energy Reviews

Stars Rating

• 99%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?
    Contract & TermsOnline & App

Reviewed July 7, 2024

The app and website clearly showed that the plan comes with Amazon Prime. Once I signed the contract, it no longer appears. Very misleading and I will be encouraging others to not go with this. Support team wants me to clear my browser cache to view the new rates. Isn't that hilarious?

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 10, 2024

Terrible billing, so confusing to understand and they make it that way to extort additional money. Reps are rude and constantly giving wrong info. Switched to TXU. Never again will I use their service.

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed June 4, 2024

I have been a long term customer with Direct Energy and when they began advertising their latest discounted rates, I called in and asked for the same price that they are now giving to new customers. The sales person was terrible, through arguing with her I told her that if they couldn’t offer me the same deal as other customers that I would go elsewhere. She finally said she would adjust my rate. I thought that was the end. Two days later I receive a CLOSE OUT BILLING from Direct Energy, stating my account has been closed. They charged me $250.00 extra on top of my regular monthly billing to close out the account. I called in immediately, asked to speak to a Manager and asked why my account was closed.

He gave me a 15 minute convoluted story, however I kept explaining to him that I DID NOT ASK FOR THE ACCOUNT TO BE CLOSED. He said in order for me to receive the new rate that all other customers are receiving, they had to close the account and terminate the current plan?! Since when? This is unacceptable FRAUD. They are just creating more paperwork and passing on the costs to the customer, for no reason whatsoever. This is how they treat their long term customers. I still have not received any communication or update from Direct Energy as a result of their mistake and POOR service.

Verified purchase
      Contract & Terms

Reviewed June 2, 2024

I was with Just Energy paying 12.73 ¢/kwh after all the fees and taxes. Then a guy representing Direct Energy explained that they don’t have green fees and taxes added on because they were all calculated in the bill. It sounded good to me and was about 2¢/kwh lower. I had to pay a cancellation fee to Just Energy, but I was promised that Direct Energy would reimburse me for that (I haven’t seen a penny of it yet). I got my first Direct Energy bill and the base kwh were correct, but they tacked on a Centerpoint Energy fee of 4.17 ¢/kwh over and above their base bill. That is 34% extra added on. Now I am stuck in a contract with them and will have to pay thousands of dollars extra over the next 3 years. If you are with Just Energy stay there!

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceContract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed May 31, 2024

The first couple of years with Direct Energy was great and my bills were very low but after I renew the contract, the bills sky rocket and I was being charge 30+ cents per kwh. I went with another company last month and I understand the termination fees is to be $150. Turns out they also added an Adjustable fee of $493.29 which the customer service team can not give me a breakdown of what that is. It's like they just throw a number on the wall and charge me that fee with no justification. They said they will send me a breakdown of what was charge but they sent me a corrupt file hoping I won't call back. Since Sept 2023 my average kwh usage was less than 800 for the month and my bills are averaging $270. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. BTW, I still don't have the breakdown of my Adjustment fees.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 15, 2024

I had Direct Energy for my provider from 2008 to 2018. I was very happy with the overall experience. I moved back to the area in 2022 and immediately called Direct Energy for service since it was so awesome when I used them prior. From 2022 until my contract was up May, 2024 I had HORRIBLE service. First of all the rates were extremely high. When I called to discuss, I had to speak with people I could not understand and NEVER got help or satisfaction. I found out later that Direct Energy sold their company to someone else (apparently to another country) and that is why EVERYTHING was different.

I have fulfilled my contract, paying every high payment on time. I had the service disconnected the day after my contract was fulfilled. They are still wanting to charge me an Early Termination Fee if I don't leave them a forwarding address. (I am traveling out of Texas and DO NOT have an address right now). (I moved out of my apartment a month prior to terminating my electric service to finish the contract and turned off the breaker. I have called and made any final payments.) Horrible company. You can take every word I said to heart. You DO NOT want to use this company.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed May 11, 2024

Just overall terrible. Their customer service department is useless. The kiosk sales people are scammy. Bad leadership qualities overall. Just look at the reviews, it's all bad and that pretty much sums it all.

Customer ServiceContract & Terms

Reviewed May 8, 2024

I tried ordering energy from this provider. Applied online, tried calling to confirm, no one would pick up so I just assumed I wasn't getting service. The following day after I already set up service with another provider they sent a confirmation email stating they started service. After having to fight to get through to someone to cancel the service they are charging me for a cancelation fee. Then they said they cancelled the service, didn't cancel the service and now it is 11:39 pm. Finally got someone who says they cancelled the service but so they can charge me. This is the worst company in the world for energy. Customer service is Trash. I better not be charged because you fail to provide customers the service they should be provided. I highly recommend investing in better support. This company should be shut down. I had no information, no agreement of when the service would be on. Turn off the service and stop ripping people off. It should be illegal for you to even exist as a company.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 17, 2024

I would like to give 0 if I can. Here's a cautionary tale about using Direct Energy as your electric provider. Our contract was expiring in February so we called about renewing it. We were told of a plan that was better than our current one and it would save us money. He even told us our highest usage last year during the summer would be a smaller payment under this plan. So, we signed up for a year. A month goes by and we were charged $150 for a minimal???? Calls are made saying why this is the case.

Bottom line - Direct Energy said they reviewed the phone call and they say we were told $150 is the minimum you will pay every month and it will only go higher on usage. This is a LIE - we were never told that. I asked to release the phone conversation record for us and they rejected. Why would we sign up for such a stupid plan. To make matters worse, they give us a new plan - called Direct Solar - we agree, but a few minutes later they call back and say since we don't have solar panels, that was a mistake and they reneged on it. We finally settled for another plan. So, lesson learned - if you use Direct Energy be very careful cause they will LIE to you. If you don't use Direct Energy, good for you and don't use them. The service is terrible!

Customer ServiceContract & Terms

Reviewed March 27, 2024

I do not recommend. Single mother on a budget every month. Was able to pay what I could (300) which left me with a 56 dollar balance. Only 56 and my electricity was cut off 5 days before I got my first of the month check to pay my new bill generated which was 250 and that included the 56 I had left from the previous month. Called spoke to 5 different levels of supervisors and was denied any help. Since it was cut off they couldn’t offer me a payment arrangement but when it was on they still wouldn’t offer me a payment arrangement without paying 30$ right then and there.

I’ve been with other companies and have never seen or heard electricity being cut unless you were and I understand 300, 509 maybe even 800 behind but 56$ that’s ridiculous. Especially if you sent a new bill including that vast due balance that is dated for next month way past the first, due date to be exact is 4/10 and it gets paid on first EVERY MONTH. Yes I’m adult but everyone has their times. I paid 300 so who would have thought the remaining 56 would terminate service.

Direct Energy Company Information