toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Direct Energy

Verna, thank you for the kind words. We are so pleased that your sister gave you our information so you can enjoy the savings as well. Thank you for choosing Direct Energy. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

My sister got Direct Energy and she turned me on to it. Other companies have higher prices. Direct Energy's service is better and my monthly bills have been lower so far. I'm enjoying it and I'd recommend Direct Energy.

Direct Energy

Tracee, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are glad to hear that you refer others to us as well. We do understand the importance of saving our customers money and try hard to do that anyway we can. Please don't hesitate to message us if you have any questions or concerns. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

It was my very first apartment and the leasing agent suggested that I use Direct Energy because he has it and he said they're good. So I've been with Direct Energy ever since. I use it strictly for electric. Last October, they sent me an email when my contract was almost up. It said to call in to see what specials they have. I want to keep everything as is and I asked them what they had going. The gentleman I spoke with that day was very helpful, and explained the different plans they have and the differences between them. He guided me into which plan was probably best for me and it was something that was rather cheap, so I was very happy with it.

I've recommended Direct Energy to everybody. People always ask me how much my bill on average is and they can't believe it when I say it's no more than $50. I'm in a full one bedroom, so it is a little bit bigger than my first apartment. But it probably isn't that much because I'm not running gas. They still have been great and I haven't had any problems. The app gets a little bit glitch-y so I deleted it from my phone, but I can just go online.

Direct Energy

Erin, we are glad to hear you have recommended several others to us, and that you enjoy having coverage from us. That is wonderful! Thank you for your business. Have a great day! -Violet

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I used Reliant for a year before I used Direct Energy. They both have good services but Direct Energy happens to have the better plans at that time. I did the setting up online. I haven't had to call in too often, but every time they've called, they've been really nice. I had also a plan with free weekends for a while that I enjoyed. Using Direct Energy worked well for me and it's cost-effective. I have recommended it in the past and will still recommend.

Factual basis uncertain

I was practically force to sign with them. Representative wouldn't leave my apartment without a sign contract, after telling him a thousand times that I was not interested. I freak out because I have a baby at home and him simply would not leave. He offer me a lower bill if I sign and I wouldn't not buy but well I sign. I just wanted him out of my apartment. The bill was higher and sometimes ridiculous high. So after calling them many time I decided to go back to my regular provider. So now they send me a bill for 198 dollar for breaking the contract that they did not honor with a higher bill than they originally offer. They're now harassing me to get payment on that bill. I need help. This thieves cannot go around forcing people to sign a contract that is just beneficial for them. I started with them in 3/29/2016 you can see the variation in the bill since then and I went back to my regular company on or around September.

Direct Energy

Valeria, we would be happy to look into why the bill has increased recently. If you would like, message us with your account number and full address. Thanks, -Jane

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I had $102 for my bill this month when I've always been paying $60. During December, I turned on the heaters a few times, but I never knew that it will go so high. From what I’m seeing, it’s going to be some $90 for the next month. Overall, everything is okay. The only thing that’s bad about my experience with Direct Energy is that my billing cycle is going too high and I don’t know why.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Direct Energy

Joshua, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.We look forward to providing you with service for years to come. All the best- Jane

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

There hasn't been a problem with Direct Energy, so that's always a plus. I'm very contented with what I have and I'm not changing even if someone comes to my door. I'd definitely recommend them to somebody else. It's good overall.

Direct Energy

Lauretta, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased to hear all the wonderful things you have said. Customer service is super important to us. Have a wonderful day. Thank you, -Jane

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I've been with Direct Energy for over five years. I was with TXU previously and I didn't like it. I love Direct Energy compared to TXU and their kilowatt rate is cheaper. Direct also does not hide anything, and I know what my bill is. Also, if I need to pay an arrangement, they don't have a problem making it. The Direct Energy team has always been positive and I've never had an issue with them. Since I've been with Direct, every day is less stressful. They are a good electricity company to deal with. They have good customer service and their rates are low.

Resolution In Progress

Direct Energy

Christopher, we would love to look into this with you in more detail. We apologize for any misunderstandings or frustration we have caused. Please message us back with your account number, full address, and phone number.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

We had Direct Energy before in our old house, and then we moved and tried to get them again. They were screwing us around and it was not a very good experience. We were with some other company before where our bill was just ridiculous. It was high that we switched, and Direct Energy had the best rate at that time for what we needed. At first, the service was about the same as the previous company, but most recently, when we moved into our new house, they were pissing me off and it was very frustrating being on the phone with them for six hours. Apparently, they needed a copy of our Social Security number, which I've never heard of in my life. And apparently, whenever we get flagged for something fraudulent, we have to do that to get our account opened. I didn't even want to use them. We tried to go to another company and told Direct Energy to cancel everything, but they didn't, and we ended up having a contract with them somehow.

Direct Energy

Mark, thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear that you love the service we provide. We certainly appreciate your loyalty. Have a nice day. -Jane

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I had moved and I needed an electric company. I looked at a few providers and Direct Energy was the best one. I liked the deals that they had and the free weekend option was a good idea. Working with them has lowered my electric bills. I could also see my bill online. I'm at work most of the time so I don't have to worry about being broadsided. I'd recommend anybody to try Direct Energy because their service is immaculate and I love it.

Direct Energy

Chuping, thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate your business. Have a nice day. -Jane

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

The family I bought the house from used Direct Energy and I did not change it. The day-to-day service like when we have the power outage in our areas is contracted to another company. So we are serviced by the same company and my dealing with the energy provider is just the monthly bill. Also, their reps provide me the information about the various energy plan. Overall, I thought I got the electric plan to fit my needs.

Direct Energy

Todd, thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your business. Have a nice day! -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

I just bought a first-time home and when I was looking for an electricity or natural gas provider, Direct Energy was the only one who had somebody from America to talk to. I tried several people and every time I got somebody I couldn’t even understand what they were saying. It's been good with the team at Direct Energy except when I first signed up and they told me they gave me a good deal. But then I found out that a friend of mine, who’s using Direct Energy too, has a lot cheaper rate and I was wondering what’s going on. In other words, the first representative I dealt with at the beginning wasn't very informative with different packages I could have because I wanted the cheapest rate I could get. So when I called back Direct Energy, the second representative was more informative on other offers that are out there and I was able to get a lower rate.

Also, I don’t know if I’m convinced just yet that Direct Energy is cheaper than some of the other providers because after doing more research, and talking to friends and family that had other providers, their electric bill seems to be a lot cheaper than mine and they're home all day while nobody's home at my house until dark. But overall, everything went smoothly. I’ve got power so it’s good.

Direct Energy

Marissa, thank you for your review. We strive to provide great customer service to every customer. We are happy to hear you have had great experiences when speaking to us. We hope you continue to enjoy the service, bill, and customer service experiences for many years to come. All the best, -Jane

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Direct Energy is definitely a lot better than Ambit. Their rates were a lot lower than a lot of other places and it was really easy for me to transfer everything over. In fact, the bills were a lot lower than they usually were. Plus, working with the team was really pleasant and they know what they're doing.

My wife was harassed this evening by a sales person claiming to be from AEP Ohio. Would not let her say no and go back in the house. Conned her into no string attached service. Little did she know he was not from AEP, but Direct Energy. The so called paperwork has nothing but 4 scribbles from sales guy Eric. The fine print of 2 year commitment and cancel fees were never discussed. Writing this to warn people of this shady practice. Will be trying to cancel this but sure it will be a hassle. If it is, BBB will be notified.

Direct Energy

Hi, Adalberto! Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are pleased to hear you are satisfied with service. Please feel free to reach out to us if there are ever any questions regarding your account. Have a great day! -Paige

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I got online and Direct Energy was the one that had the lowest rate. However upon renewal, if they have any promotions or discounts, I didn't know of any of them until after I've renewed. Because once the rates go up after a year or two, whatever the promotion is, there's no notification sent out saying that the promotion ended and if I wanted to look at other options. But their reps have always been pleasant, knowledgeable and very helpful in giving out different plans where I'm able to choose one. I'm very satisfied with regards to that.

Direct Energy

Gene, customer feedback is super important to us. We are pleased to hear that with us you are able to save money. Have a nice day. -Jane

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Direct Energy was cheaper than other companies per kilowatt when I signed up with them. They were willing to work with me and my bill is not that high right now. They're a good company to be with and I'd recommend them.

Direct Energy

Customer feedback is super important to us Joanne. Thank you! We hope you have a nice day. -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

It is easier to get electricity with Direct Energy and I like their rates. It’s our first time having energy service and I never had any issue with them. I would recommend Direct Energy to others as well.

Direct Energy

Janice, thanks for your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you would recommend us to others. We appreciate your business. Have a nice day, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I knew about Direct Energy through my daughter. I've had other providers before and they're not good. Direct Energy is better and they answered all of our questions as best as they could. I would recommend them to others.

Direct Energy

Tien, thank you for taking time to leave your feedback. We do appreciate your loyalty and hope you have a nice day. -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I was with TXU prior to switching to Direct Energy. I'm very happy to be with Direct Energy and if there is a question for anything concerning rates or whatever, they've always been very helpful, fair, and give me the best there is. They have been very great to me.

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for the review. If you would like to please message us your account number, service address, and phone number, we may then further investigate the issue regarding the rate you previously paid.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I've used Stream and Reliant in the past and Direct Energy is comparable with them. But with Stream, they would've called or notified me via email when my contract was up. Also, I was disappointed with Direct Energy when for five months, I paid three times of what I should've paid. We live in a two-bedroom apartment and last month our electricity was $40 but there's one month when it's $160, which was ridiculous. But, that's my only issue and I've been with Direct Energy for a while.

Direct Energy

Thank you for the wonderful review Eric! Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I've had Direct Energy for several months now. I used another provider in the past but I like Direct Energy because they have a lot more choices as far as what kind of electricity is being supplied, whether it be conventionally on unconventionally, or green energy. Other ones had that too, but it wasn't user-friendly. Also, I like the website a lot since it helps us keep track of what we're doing and make sure we're not using too much.

Resolution In Progress

Sir,

We are sorry for any misunderstanding. After messaging you further, we are glad to hear the matter has been taken care of. Please let us know if you have any other concerns that need addressed. We are always happy to help. All the best, -Jane

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Direct Energy has sales representative go door-to-door to sell people on cheaper gas prices for residential homes, but it is a scam, as DTE continues to sell and distribute your natural gas, and Direct Energy cash in on whatever scam that the company is running. I stumbled on their shenanigans by talking again with my DTE, and DTE has informed me that this must be some other program that I am enrolled in that has nothing to do with what DTE have been doing for me for the past 20 + years.

Direct Energy

Celina, we want to thank you for your honest feedback. We do appreciate your loyalty. Customer satisfaction is very important to us. Have a nice day, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

It's about four years now that I've had Direct Energy as my energy provider. I used CPL Retail Energy before, but I like Direct Energy. Whenever I had a question or something happens, which is rare, the team at Direct Energy have been efficient, courteous, and quick. If I have a problem, they do what has to be done right away. On the whole, it's been very satisfying and good with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy

Judy, we are glad to hear you would recommend others to us. We understand how having low rates would be important to our customers so they may save money. Thank you for being a loyal customer. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I like the pricing of Direct Energy. It's better compared to my old provider. It was fine setting up the service with Direct, too. I had no problems with it. I would recommend Direct Energy to other people.

Direct Energy

Martinez, we are glad to hear that you have had a good experience with us. We really enjoy that the website allows our customers to make payments and also manage their account with ease. Please let us know if you have any questions. We are happy you are apart of the Direct Energy family. Have a nice day! -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

When I first got my apartment, the people that I got my apartment for suggested Direct Energy so I went with it. My experience with them is going well so far. I pay my bill using the online site that they provide.

Direct Energy

Dajeza, we are glad to hear that your experience has been good. If you would like someone to look at the bill with you we would be glad to. Just send us a message with your account number. Have a nice day. Thanks! -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

Direct Energy's service is great. However, I'm in a 1-bedroom residence now and my light bill has gone up and I'm not at home during the day. My light bill is at $10 to $15. It maybe because I moved to a smaller place, but I was in a 3-bedroom before and my bill was only $40 to $60 a month. Overall, my experience has been fine.

Direct Energy

Julio, we are always happy to hear that we are able to save customers money! We understand the importance of having an affordable plan. Thank you for choosing Direct Energy. Have a great day! -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

They gave me a good rate plan on the electric bill so I tried it out. They explained everything and were nice talking to me. Direct Energy has helped my pocket and I'm very happy for the service they have given.

Direct Energy

Patricia, thank you for your feedback. We are happy to review your bill with you if you have any questions about anything please be sure to message us. Thank you for choosing Direct Energy. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

At the moment, I'm fine with Direct Energy. They're pretty tops. I went with them because I didn't want to stay with TXU. I was real pleased with my electricity bill this month because it was only $128 and we've had some cool weather. The rep who extended my service was very nice. I called to check on something and he told me that I just had another month but he would connect me with my new service as quick as it came up. I'm very satisfied with Direct Energy right now and would recommend them. The only complaint I have is that they charge me a fee when I don't use enough energy. I've got a house that's well-insulated, and I resented having to pay for energy that I'm not using, although it's not much. But I didn't get charged that fee this month, and I'm watching that closely.

Direct Energy

Hi, Sreenivas! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We strive for always providing the best customer service and are happy to hear about your great experience! Please feel free to reach out if there is anything we may assist you with in the future. Enjoy your day! –Violet

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Direct Energy had a good price point and different flexible plans like the weekend free. We are one month into their service and so far, so good. It was a smooth interaction and we haven't had any problems. Their support staff is friendly and they provide all the information. The most important thing to understand is that there really should be a transparent fee. What is the price plan? How much are the real-time charges and proposed charges which are going to be affecting or coming my way? That kind of clarity is what is required and that's what I found out in Direct Energy. The only difference is Direct Energy's hours of operation are comparatively less than the previous service provider.

A salesman showed up at our door saying he was with our energy company. It was freezing out so we invited him in. At which time we foolishly signed the agreement with him saying that there was a fee that would be reduced on our bill. Only as we were signing did he say that he was actually with Direct Energy but made it sound as if they were just removing a $30 charge on our account. Not changing our service. The whole thing felt sketchy. Due to me thinking that my husband understood what the guy was talking about and my husband thinking I understood, we ignorantly had signed their contract.

After googling the company, I tried to go back outside to grab the guy and cancel (they were going door to door at our condo building) but he had left. At this point it was 7:30 pm and we couldnt call our utility company due to them being closed, and it takes repeated calls to get ahold of someone at Direct Energy. I got hung up on and put on hold while I was in the middle of a sentence with no warning. By the time I finally got ahold of someone, they said the information on my account wasn't available yet and I would have to call back later. I'm afraid that I'll be stuck with some charge now after seeing similar reviews. I really don't want this to turn into a months long hassle like some other reviewers. I don't know how what this company is doing is legal! It seems like a huge scam to me.

Direct Energy

Jackie, thank you for your kind words. We are so pleased to hear that you have had a great experience with us. Customer satisfaction is very important to us. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or concerns. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Everything is consistent with Direct Energy which I decided to use because of their pricing. Working with them has been really easy and very smooth. The last couple of people I spoke with from the company were very helpful. They sent follow-up emails, which was very important when helping me so that was great. I've had a convenient experience with them.

Direct Energy Company Profile