4.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Direct Energy gives customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. We make energy work harder for our over four million home and business customers across North America. We compete to earn their business every day. We empower our customers with simple solutions to track, understand, and control the electricity and natural gas they use. With these insights, they can make smarter decisions, be more efficient, reduce their energy and save money. The right plan is waiting for you. Call us today!

Direct Energy Video
View More View More

1778 Direct Energy Consumer Reviews

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: March 17, 2019

The first time I signed up with Direct Energy, it was for a two-year at some rate. Then, allegedly, they sent me emails regarding updates, and I never got them, so I had wound up paying full fare which was a bit high. I've had no problem with customer service though. The problem I had was that it was not abundantly clear that my account was coming up for renewal. But they handled the situation very well, and eventually, we got re-upped at a reduced rate. However, I need to get with them again and ask if I am due for a re-up because I haven't seen an email from them regarding an update or renewal. Also, there's something going on regarding energy fees that I haven't talked to Direct Energy about. But I'm gonna tell them what's going on and what others are telling me. I'm looking for the letter with $600 credit from Reliant Energy, and one of the things that I'm doing this week is to call Direct Energy.

I understand, and I wasn’t fully appreciative of this to begin with, that there are energy power line companies, and there are energy producers, and there are energy sellers. The market is rather interesting that there are companies that procure power and sell it to you at different rates. They guarantee a rate for a period of time, but that they can do so. The power line companies, meanwhile, are fine. They get their rate and they're happy. Then there are companies such as Direct Energy that can obtain power and sell it to consumers and to businesses. Direct Energy has to have us look at all those other rates out there, for us to see that their rates are lower. I'm very sure that a comparison is being done internally by every one of those companies out there, but I've yet to see any one particular comparison. No one seems to be doing that anywhere.

My daughter in law works for Direct Energy, and I suppose I could ask her what's the real skinny. But I'm not going down that road because that's possibly a conflict of interest and there might be confidential materials that they are not able to divulge, so I've never even raised it with her. I know she gets a lower rate than I do because she's an employee, and that’s fine. But it would be nice if, when I do re-up with Direct Energy, they say, “By the way, we've done some general polling, and we might not be the lowest rate out there. For the product we're giving you, it is. Compare this with the two prime competitors, brand X and brand Y, and this is what you're getting.” But they don’t do any of that.

There's an issue on transparency and the “This is why you should get with us” is not so evident. There are a lot of companies out there, and they all say similar things, but none of them are saying they're better than all of the rest because they have lower rates. It's an industry out there that’s not overly regulated. I don’t have any problems with Direct Energy. But it's strange because suppose power goes out, should I call Direct Energy or the energy transmission company? It's unlike the old days when you would deal with just one company. Now, it's a little different.

Hi Frank,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company, website and mobile app to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

We issue renewal notices with your monthly invoice 30-60 days prior to the current contract expiry date. Existing customer renewal rates may be reviewed in your online portal or by speaking with an agent via phone or live chat. Please keep in mind, as with many companies, rates are subject to change each renewal period based on the market.

In reference to power outages, those may be reported in your Direct Energy online portal under Account Management or by contacting customer care directly and we can provide updates directly from the utility.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My electric bills can run very high, and it usually does. I was using Green Mountain Energy and the cheapest one I got from them was $130, but last month, my electric bill with Direct Energy was only 87. They were cheaper than I expected. They also sent me one of those Echo Dot machine thingies for free, which I thought was really cool. I didn't even know I would get one and it was a nice surprise.

I never heard from Direct Energy after I signed up though. I should have a bill by now, but I never received one. I got a courtesy call from them, which never happened with another electric company. It was when I hadn't made the payments after two days after the bill was due. So, I told them I've been meaning to call because I haven't received anything except a privacy policy. The guy said, "No problem, ma'am." He extended my date out for me because I needed another week. He also explained things to me really well over the phone. He told me when my due date is gonna be, set me up and gave me the password information. He also said they had my email wrong in their system.

I received a very good service. That was the first time I dealt with somebody over the phone and he was like somebody from another country. I couldn't understand what he was saying, but after a moment, I understood what he was saying. He was very friendly so I'm very pleased with Direct Energy thus far. Except for me not receiving the information, the transition was clean. Years ago, I switched from TXU to Green Mountain and this one was even easier than that. I appreciate Direct Energy. They have been very easy to work with.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for providing this excellent review, Sara! We are thrilled to see that you are saving so much money each month, and we hope that you and enjoying the Echo Dot! Our Customer Care Team does everything they can to provide empathetic and understanding service, and we are so glad that is what you received when you called in. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Sara! Have a fantastic day! - Jack

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I was a ComEd customer for many years. I live in a trailer home in Bartlett and I'm disabled. I live on one check a month and I'm looking to save some money on bills. So, I decided to go with Direct Energy just on the electric bill. A few years ago, I was told by my caseworker that I was eligible for the PIPP program. For many years, I was on the LIHEAP program, that one-time benefit that helped poor people on welfare, like myself, to pay the bills during the wintertime. She told me that in my situation, running out of money, if we get a hard winter and the furnace isn't working a lot, then the bills will be over $100 sometimes, so maybe I should go with the PIPP program. This way, I might be able to survive a little bit better and pay the bills a little easier. She was right. Now, I am on the PIPP program and I pay a certain amount every month that I could afford, and it's like a 12-month period.

When I first signed up for the PIPP program, I told them I have an alternative energy supply company on my electric and I had IGS on my gas bill. My application was rejected because I can't have an alternative gas company. It has to be straight Nicor. But my caseworker told me, "You're okay with the Direct Energy. You could keep the Direct Energy on your electric bill, but you have to cancel the IGS." So, I canceled the IGS and I stayed with the Direct Energy.

I applied for the PIPP program again. I brought my electric bill and I told the rep, "I still have Direct Energy for my electric supply company." When she applied for it on the internet for me, they didn't reject it. I'm satisfied with Direct Energy. I haven't had any problems and there were no interruptions of service except that every now and then, a transformer blows out and we lose our power.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Sam. We are so glad to know that we were able to be there for you during a time when you needed assistance. We appreciate you being a loyal customer, and we look forward to serving you in the future. Thank you for the review, and have a wonderful day! - Jack

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The lady that I spoke with at Direct Energy was really sweet, but the phone hung up. I called back and spoke to another girl, but she was so awful. I asked her about the different rates, and she told me a rate of about 10.2 and I said that I saw a rate online and it said 9.9. I asked if there was any way we can look at that one and set that one up. She said that there was not a rate of 9.9. She then goes, "Isn't 10.2 the same thing anyway?" I said it was not and I asked to speak to a manager. She said that the manager was gonna tell me the exact same thing, but I said okay and that I wanted to speak to a manager. She kept repeating that until I said that I would really like to speak to a manager. She put me on hold, but I thought it was like a permanent hold, so I hung up.

I called back again and spoke to another lady, and she was so helpful. She explained to me about the 9.9 and also explained that if I did it on my own and renewed online, I would be able to get that rate. I did it online real quick and she had stayed on the phone. She made sure that everything was set up properly on my account and that I had done everything. After that, it was super simple and easy. I've been with Direct Energy for several years already. However, in the area that we live in, during storms and even during the summer, we have our lights flicker. The electricity will flicker and turn off during the extremely hot days. They're building and building in the community where we live, so they need to look at their electricity situation and how they're doing it over here. I think there is sometimes an overload of things per transformer.

Whenever we were on a fixed rate, it was really wonderful and we usually had really good low payments. We had a low bill every single month. Then, I didn't realize that our contract was up. I looked through my emails and I didn't see anything in my emails notifying me that I was gonna be up. It was for June, July, and August, so I anticipated a higher bill, but I was surprised because I was getting $300 bills. That was very shocking to me because we have gone a lot. I even moved my temperature up a little bit. I called and I realized our contract had been up and we were paying 15.2 cents per kilowatt per hour. Whenever I renewed, I got a smaller kilowatt per hour.

Direct Energy response

Hello, Rachel! We very much appreciate you taking the time so submit such a detailed review. It is disappointing to hear that you had a less than outstanding experience with our Care Team over the phone. We always strive to provide an outstanding experience, and are sorry to hear that was not the case for you. Keep in mind that Direct Energy is the supplier of electricity; your local Utility company actually delivers, so if you are experiencing outages or similar issues, we suggest that you contact the Utility to report those issues. As for renewal rates, we do send out end of term information approximately 60 days prior to the contract expiration date. If you are in TX, that would be included with your regular monthly bill. We are sorry for any confusion, but are glad to hear that you were able to renew on a lower, fixed rate contract. Thank you again for the review, and we appreciate your loyalty. Have a wonderful day! - Liv

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Electric bills could get a little high and Direct Energy seemed to have the best offer for trying to keep energy cost down. So far, signing up with them has saved us a lot of money with the cost savings that they’ve given us over the years and we’ve been very pleased with them. Since they switched to monthly billing where one is estimated while one is actual, it has been a little chaotic. But since I renewed my contract, things have been a lot better, especially because I'm on a fixed income and trying to budget for our monthly payments gets a little hairy. This year has also been a little whacky with the heat and humidity.

When needed to call Direct Energy, they were very understanding and the person I spoke to helped me out right away. My commitment with them had run out and I didn’t even know it until I got an electric bill that was 400 bucks. Then after we got things straightened out, the next one was under 200. Every time I’ve needed to contact them, I've been very pleased with my experience. They also offered me a service for when we had electric surges, which for some strange reason has been quite frequent over the last two years. So it’s comforting to know that somebody’s looking out for you.

I would highly recommend Direct Energy and tell others that with the rate that they’ve given us, they’ve saved us several hundred dollars a month. I know Central Hudson is pushing clean energy, but the rates they're quoting say that your electric bill would be $200 to $300 a month, which is ridiculous and not sustainable for the people in the adult community that I live in. We’re all trying to figure out why things are as high as they are because nobody’s doing anything different, but I have no regrets in signing up with Direct Energy and I hope to stay with them for many years to come.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon Thomas, and thank you so much for the glowing review! We strive to provide an excellent customer experience during every encounter, and are thrilled to hear that we were able to help you save money! We so appreciate your loyalty, and look forward to the privilege of serving you for years to come! All the best to you - Stevie N.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

First, the guidelines for this site make you certify that you have no personal or business dealings with the organisation you are writing about. Well, that’s silly because obviously I do that’s why I am writing this. I signed up under a fixed plan over 3 years ago. My bill has been increasing over those 3 years. Our daughter moved back in with us and I assumed we were just using more utilities. I called RG&E and asked about my bill going up. I was told that my supplier Direct Energy was charging 3 times the going rate for my gas and electric. I called Direct Energy and was told they start an investigation (which would take 7-9 business days) and that they would calculate how much I overpaid and I would be reimbursed.

Then I receive a call from Robert in “The office of the President”. Robert apologized and offered me a $300 credit on my RG&E bill. I hung with Robert and started to analyse my bill. Direct Energy was charging me almost 3x the average rate for my gas and electric. I estimate that I paid Direct Energy approx. $6800 in the last 2.5 years. Since the rate they charged me increased every 6 months or so until it reached the current almost 3x rate I will assume that I paid on average double the average rate. So I overpaid $3400 to Direct Energy. When I called Robert back I told him about my calculations. I told him that $300 was not enough “good will gesture” for what I overpaid. Robert said that the company sent me a letter about my fixed rate expiring and that I was not owed anything. I never received a letter or notification. Robert said that the company’s proof that they sent me the letter was that they have my correct address on file.

How many people has this happened to? Does the company offer good fixed rate plans just to get people in then they can double or triple their rates when the person doesn’t respond (because they never received) an expiration notice. The company must do a better job of notifying customers of the expiration and increases in cost.

Hi David,

We certainly would like to apologize for the negative experience. Regarding your concern, we issue renewal notices 60 days prior to the current contract expiry date. This notice informs you to renew on another fixed-rate or the account will automatically be placed on a variable rate which is subject to change monthly.

Existing customer renewal rates may be reviewed in the online portal or by speaking with an agent. As with enrollments, cancellations and rate changes, it can take 1-2 billing cycles to take effect based on the local utility.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 24, 2019

Signed initial contract with this company for a fixed rate of electric. When contract ended the company doubled the KW charge and makes no effort to inform customer that contract has expired or what the new rate will be or what you will be charged if you do not renew the contract. I estimate that over time this company rip me off for about $2.000.00. For a senior citizen on fixed income that hurts. When I called to cancel the contract and go back to my regular electric company they wanted to song and dance me into another contract. I consider them dishonest and not trustworthy. Painful lesson.

Hi William,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We wanted to take a moment to apologize that your experience with us was less than exceptional and wanted to assist in properly addressing your concerns.

Upon review of your account, a renewal letter was issued on 8/2/18 as well as 8/17/18 via USPS indicating that your fixed-rate would expire as of 9/30/18 and should a renewal not be submitted the account would automatically renew on month to month variable rate based on the market. At this time, a cancellation request has been submitted, please allow 1-2 bill cycles for processing by the utility.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 23, 2019

DON'T CHOOSE!! WILL NOT SAVE YOU MONEY!!! I have had Reliant and TXU as electric providers in all my years. After flooding a rep showed up at our door and insisted we were paying way too much. WRONG!! I am currently paying way too much with DE. Not only that but I can not switch plans within their company without paying a cancellation fee in order to save our house any money. I NEVER had that issue with any other company EVER! I am just disgusted. I will probably end up paying the $135 to get out of the contract to save money and go back to TXU or Reliant. Just disgusting!!

Direct Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review, Kimberli. We certainly apologize for the frustration that this experience has caused and want to address your concerns.

Upon review of your account, you are on a low rate plan, however, your usage is considerably high which results in high monthly invoices. We recommend completing the Home Profile in your online portal by selecting "Usage and Insights" at the top of the screen, then select "Your Usage Info" then selecting "Home Profile". In addition, there is a link to assist with reducing your monthly usage: https://www.directenergy.com/learning-center/energy-efficiency

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 19, 2019

I have been a loyal and trusting (9 years!) customer of Direct Energy and instead of them treating me better for it they have shamefully taken advantage of my trust and loyalty. For all of the months in 2019 they have been charging me 13.4 cents per KWh...almost twice the Duquesne Light default service price of 7.4 cents per kWh. When I asked the customer service rep why the price was so high, he could not answer. He could not even give a general explanation of why the price was so much higher than any market based energy prices for this year. He told me he would submit my questions to a "analyst" who would get back to me in 24 hours. When this time passed I called and was told that they would need 5 business days to get back to me. This company is making me feel like a sucker for being so loyal and trusting to them.

Good Afternoon John,

We appreciate your loyalty and trust to Direct Energy for many years. Upon review of your account, your fixed rate expired and you were automatically placed on a month to month variable rate. As of yesterday, you have been renewed on a 12 month fixed rate. Please keep in mind, you will receive a renewal notice within 60 days prior to the expiration date. You will be able to renew via the online portal, by chat or phone.

Original review: July 13, 2019

We were with Direct Energy for quite a few years on a budget plan. We were thinking of trying someone else and did not renew so without any type of notice on paper or by email they automatically renewed us for 1 year under a fluctuating plan. We called and inquired and they said we could cancel. So we did and Direct Energy said we owed $1200 for the remainder of the year! They did tell us before we changed over at all... Not too happy. Deciding our next move...

Hi Rob,

We apologize for any confusion regarding your account. In reference to your concern, we issue renewal notices 60 days prior to the current contract expiry date. Existing customer renewal rates may be reviewed in the online portal or by speaking with an agent. In the event, a renewal has not been submitted or the account canceled, the account is automatically placed on a month to month variable rate.

Direct Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Direct Energy is one of the state’s largest electricity providers. Founded in Toronto in 1986, Direct is an international company that also provides consumers - both residential and commercial - with other utilities, including natural gas.

• Legacy: Direct Energy is one of the oldest providers of electricity in Texas, since the company has been around since 1986.

• Selection: Direct Energy offers a good selection of electricity plans, which allows customers to pick a plan that fits their budget and electricity needs.

• Location: Direct Energy is a large company, and they have offices and outposts in more than 30 cities across the state.

• Customer service: Because the company is large and international, many customers must deal with many bureaucratic steps in order to get customer service.

• Consumers: Consumers who are not on a fixed-rate plan or who are renewing their contract may see increases in price from month to month or year to year.

• Best for: Residential customers, midsize and big businesses