toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Direct Energy

We are always here to help, Glen. Thank you for being a valued customer of ours. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need our assistance again. All the best, -Jane

Original review: June 3, 2017

I've been with Direct Energy for seven years. When I get the one company, I try to be with them instead of switching back and forth to anybody. Direct Energy hasn't done anything wrong so I stuck with them and I’m glad I did. Everything has been good with their representatives too. One time, I couldn't pay my electricity on time because I've been getting no raise. They helped me out and told me what I needed to do which I did it. Everything has been great and if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with them again.

Direct Energy

Thank you for the feedback Sam! We're glad it has been a straight-forward experience thus far. If you have any questions please feel free to email at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com. Sincerely, - Henry

Original review: May 22, 2017

We wanted to try something different because of the electricity rates that we used to have. We called Direct Energy and switched, it's been easy and simple. It's been good and we have seen a lower rate in the bill. We've been happy with it. Everything is smooth. I would definitely recommend them to someone.

Direct Energy

Thank you for the review, Darrell! I'm glad you're enjoying our service! Feel free to reach out if we can help with anything in the future. Have a wonderful day!

-Jennifer

Original review: May 20, 2017

Direct Energy is lower with their rates compared to the provider I had before. Plus, my interactions with their team have gone really well.

Direct Energy

Hi John, thank you for your review! We appreciate your business and are happy to be your electricity provider! If you ever have questions, feel free to reach out to me so that I can resolve your issue. Have a great day! -Jennifer

Original review: May 16, 2017

I searched for all the providers in the Houston area that provides electricity and Direct Energy came up as one of the better rates. It was the best price based on our usage so I signed up for it and it’s all handled for me, which was nice. So far, everything is what I expected it to be.

Direct Energy

Good Morning Belma. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy that you are enjoying our service and that we help alleviate stress when it comes to your monthly invoice. Please let us know if you have any future questions or concerns. We are happy to answer any questions you may have. We appreciate you for choosing Direct Energy. Have a wonderful week. - All the Best, Samantha

Original review: July 14, 2017

My mom told me about Direct Energy, I needed a co-signer so I went with them. Direct Energy is better than my previous. I'm not stressing on the bill as much as I did previously. They are a good company that one can depend because they manage to help out in some way or another. They compromise where I can work with them.

Direct Energy

Good Morning Christa. Thank you for the positive review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy that our services are helping you save and our representatives are providing great customer service. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. You may send all inquiries to dedigitalcare@directenergy.com. We hope you have a wonderful week. - Best Wishes, Samantha

Original review: July 13, 2017

A lot of our friends had told us about Direct Energy, and they're great because when I was with one other provider, my bill was three times what mine is now. I like their different promotions, and every interaction I've had with their team has been very helpful. I called one time because one of my bills was higher than it'd normally be, and they told me that my plan had expired so I renewed it. They walked me through everything and explained everything. Working with Direct Energy is very helpful. It saves money.

Direct Energy

Good Morning Tracy. Thank you for your great review. We are very fortunate to have you as our customer. Please let us know if you have any future questions or concerns. We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Have a wonderful day! - All the Best, Samantha

Original review: July 13, 2017

Everything is perfect with Direct Energy. I’ve had it since 2006. When I forgot to renew my contract, my kilowatts went up. I got on it and then they did the difference for me. The customer service team was precise and knowledgeable.

Direct Energy

Good Morning Yesenia, we appreciate you taking the time to leave such a wonderful review. We are happy to have you back as our customer. The Free Weekends promotion is especially helpful for the rising temperatures for the summer, so we are glad this program is helping you save! Please let us know if you have any future questions or concerns. You may email all inquires to dedigitalcare@directenergy.com. Have a great day! - Samantha

Original review: July 12, 2017

I had Direct Energy for years when I lived in Houston and when I lived in the city in Kaufman, I got them again because their rates were lower than any other rates and they gave great service. But when I moved in the country, I couldn't get Direct Energy because we only can use one electricity company there. Now that I moved back to the city and I decided to get them back, I never had a problem with Direct Energy. Also, having the "weekends for free" helps a lot on my budget. I've always recommended them to friends and family that are looking for a company.

Direct Energy

Good Morning Mr. Cease. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying our services. In addition we are glad that you are utilizing our Average Bill program and that you are seeing great results. Please let us know if we are able to provide any future assistance. We want to ensure that your experience with us remains positive. Have a wonderful day and a great rest of your week. - All the Best, Samantha

Original review: July 11, 2017

I had TXU and my electricity was going up. My friend recommended Direct Energy and he said his billing has been real steady and they have good plans. Also, they’re cheaper and they offered this two-year contract and budget billing where they average it out. That really works good because in my peak months like in the summer, I get less of the bill. I pick up a little heavier in the winter but it all averages out in the end. Then, I bought the next place to me so I have two residences and Direct Energy worked with me to hook my other place up with no problems.

The deal is, my one place was at 100 to 200 even in the peak days and now that I have two places going, I expect somewhere in the 300 range. But there was a little confusion there between getting the place settled and trying to get stuff over there and I got the $400 bill twice in a row. Also, the original one expired and they sent me a message. But I work for Texas Instruments, I get about a thousand messages a day and I didn’t catch it. It fell off the grid. They may also have sent something in my mail but I missed that e-mail. But everything should be on board now with both places. The other place is a trailer and that's gonna be going away at the end of the year but I will still keep the electricity there. It’s going to the ground and it will cut out here.

Direct Energy is very efficient when we have outages. I give them a call and they get right on it. Also, the guy keeps me informed of what they're looking at hour-wise. When I was on TXU, it would go down and I wouldn’t hear anything. I couldn’t talk to anybody but Direct Energy has been good all the way around. Also, their team is really knowledgeable, clear, down-to-earth type, direct and to the point. I like it that they give me the gist of it and they've solved any problems I've had fairly quickly. I've told my friends what I have and I said they’ve been good to me. It's been fantastic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Direct Energy

Hi Tommy, thanks for your review! We are so glad we've been able to assist you with your energy needs. If you ever have any questions going forward, please let us know. Have a fantastic day! - Betty

Original review: July 10, 2017

I looked up electricity and natural gas providers online and found Direct Energy first. My dad worked at TXU so I know that they’re going through some problems and I didn't want any hassle. The guys from Direct Energy were knowledgeable and friendly. Everything is fine with the service that we get. We can also use the app now which helps to let me know what our bill is going to be.

Direct Energy

Hi Vince, thanks for your review! We are glad that you're enjoying our services! If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to us for help. Have a wonderful day! - Ed

Original review: July 9, 2017

I learned about Direct Energy through a website that looks at multiple energy companies. It's been years now. What appeal to me was the price and they offered it at a good time. Dealing with the DIrect Energy team was fine.They initially had a couple of issues but it's been good for a long time. Overall, they're good.

Direct Energy

Hi Randy, thanks for your review! We are so glad we've been able to assist you with your energy needs. If you ever have any questions going forward, please let us know. Have a fantastic day! - Robin

Original review: July 9, 2017

I've used TXU in the past and I've been pleased since I switched to Direct Energy. I started at a certain rate and they lowered it, which was really good. I'm very satisfied overall and I would recommend them.

Good Morning Lois,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and we appreciate your kind words. That is excellent that you are enjoying our services and that you are seeing savings with our fixed rate contracts. We are happy that you are our customer. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We want to ensure that you continue to have a positive experience. Have a wonderful day.

All the Best, Samantha

Original review: July 8, 2017

I've been with Direct Energy for a long time. One year, I got sick and I was making sure I get my bills lined but I wasn't deducted anything. When I got to feeling better, I went to deduct and I knew the only one I hadn't written there was electric. So, I called Direct Energy and they told me I sent them $1,000. I asked them to put it on my account and that's what they did. All these months, I've never had to pay a bill. They tell me how much I got left over so I'm good for three more months.

I'm on a fixed contract and if I renew, they tell me how much it's going to cost the next two years. And this last time, the contract they gave me was a good one and I asked if I could get it for two years but they said no. So I got it for one year. I'll renew it again when it comes time to renew. I don't like to be one that switches constantly because that's too confusing for old people. I and my neighbor signed up for Direct Energy the same year and we laugh about it. We help each other and she reminds me when it's about time that we're going to call them again. She's had no complaints either and we never found anything better. I hang on to this electric company and I'm very happy with it. I tell people I'm not going to change unless Direct Energy changes a big deal.

Direct Energy

Hi Janette, thanks for your review! We are so glad we've been able to assist you with your energy needs. If you ever have any questions going forward, please let us know. Have a fantastic day! - Lucy

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have had TXU in Midland, Texas for a long time and Direct Energy is cheap compared to them. At the place where I have Direct Energy, I'm there every other weekend, depending on how long I stay. We have two different places down at Robert Lee and two accounts with Direct Energy. One is in my husband’s name, and the other one is in mine. I looked them up from my other previous bills, called them and they were nice. They're a good electric company. My husband thanks them a lot 'cause when he sees some of our bills, he'd ask me if that's all it was and I'd say yes. I’d recommend them to somebody.

Direct Energy

Hi Russell, Thank you for the wonderful review! We look forward to continually providing you with excellent services. Sincerely- James

Original review: July 6, 2017

I’ve been living in the same place for 17 years and switched to Direct Energy because of their rates. I know some people have TXG, but I like Direct Energy better. Some of them will tell you the service because they’ll tell you they’re surprised and it’s about the same. It gets to you and it’s totally different. The bills are affordable and their reps have been very helpful. I’m satisfied with them.

Direct Energy

Hi Jimmy! Thank you for the wonderful review! We look forward to continually providing you with excellent services. Sincerely Stephanie

Original review: July 6, 2017

I had a bad experience with somebody changing my light company from Direct Energy to Green Mountain and I wasn't happy with that. Direct Energy switched it back as quick as possible. They were courteous and they took care of that situation. I'm happy with Direct Energy and I'm not going to change with them.

Direct Energy

Hi Lyon, thanks for your review! We are glad that you're enjoying our services! If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to us for help. Have a wonderful day! - Jessie

Original review: July 5, 2017

I decided to use Direct Energy because of the rates and the promotional deal. I switched to a two-year plan that I was walked into. About six month ago, I received a letter saying that my bill could potentially go up so I entered another two-year agreement. The plan I'm on has something to do with the Nest. They sent me a thermostat so I can check it from my phone and control things. It's an advantage. I also get updates from emails. The customer service is great anytime call. I enjoy they service and I've told neighbors and relatives that they are to switch over because I asked them their rates and they are ridiculous. I'm satisfied with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy

Hi Kathy, thank you for the review. When having more than one account, they are linked by your personal customer information which is why we are unable to separate the statements. However, we can take a look at your account if you would like to email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com. Hope you have a great day! - Joy

Original review: July 5, 2017

I’ve been with Direct Energy for three years now and the bill seems to be less than what it was before. But I have a complaint with the billing. I can call in and make my payment, which is great. But I have two accounts and both accounts had the same address. I have three acres here and two acres are on Direct Energy. So they have to put on separate bills. As a result, when I call, it takes one payment. But then I got to get a hold of the representative to make the second payment. They won’t let me go back and pay the other bill. I asked if they can just combine them just to make it easier. They said no because they have different boxes on it.

Direct Energy

Hi Tim! Thank you for the wonderful review! We look forward to continually providing you with excellent services. Sincerely Jane

Original review: July 4, 2017

Everything about Direct Energy is fantastic. I've been with TXU for 30 years and after I've been divorced for 9 years, they called and daunted me for money for my ex-wife. I contested it and Grace came and ended up paying $190 because they have been running my credit. About that time a guy from Direct Energy came door-to-door. They were able to cut my bills in half and have great service. I've told my neighbors if they could get Direct Energy, get it. Direct Energy will save them some money.

Direct Energy

Hi Iva, thanks for your review! We are glad that you're enjoying our services! If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to us for help. Have a wonderful day! - Byran

Original review: July 4, 2017

I'm totally satisfied with Direct Energy. I decided to go with them when my previous provider, TXU Electric, did not change their rates at all. Direct Energy rates are lower than TXU.

Direct Energy

Hi Richard, thanks for your review! We are glad that you're enjoying our services! If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to us for help. Have a wonderful day! - Jill

Original review: July 3, 2017

It's easy to switch to Direct Energy and absolutely no issues. I've stuck with them for a while now and I'm happy. I like the fact that when my contract was bearing its term, a lady called me and we had a good conversation. She explained everything and gave me the pricing. The prices have gone up since the beginning of the last term but she offered me the same price back then so I took it. Also, I've gotten a couple of people who switched their services but when I told them that I was paying per kilowatt, they said, "No way, you can't be doing that," but that's where I am. It's been a great experience.

Direct Energy

Hi Roy, thanks for your review! We are glad that you're enjoying our services! If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to us for help. Have a wonderful day! - Allan

Original review: July 3, 2017

I like what I'm getting with Direct Energy in this one big room apartment and the transition was so smooth. I'm satisfied with the pricing and the amount that I have to pay. I'm also satisfied enough to not even look elsewhere. The customer service has all been good and no one that I talked to spoiled the service. It's a positive experience. They should maintain what they're doing and if I could go another four years with the satisfaction that I'm getting now, then it would be at the top of my list.

Direct Energy

Hi Tammie, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please send us a private message to confirm your account information so we can resolve your concerns. Thank you, have a great day! - Joey

Original review: July 2, 2017

I have been on a plan for 2 years and then I received a call from customer service stating my plan was no longer in place. They told me I had to select another one and it would be in effect immediately but never received a copy of my new plan. A month later I received a bill that is double. I spoke to customer service and he said they couldn't credit my bill but would on the August bill for $25. THEN I RECEIVED AN EMAIL ON JULY 1ST FROM DIRECT ENERGY STATING THAT MY NEW PLAN WOULD BE IN PLACE WITHIN 5 TO 10 DAYS... Very bad business!!!

Direct Energy

Hi Herb, thanks for your review! We are glad that you're enjoying our services! If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to us for help. Have a wonderful day! - Jessica

Original review: July 2, 2017

I was not satisfied with Reliant at that time and online service work isn’t that great with them. Direct Energy is much better. I've had them for eight years and I’ve had lower bills with them. Also, the technology’s changed, so it’s much more convenient online. It’s been really good with Direct Energy and I like the fixed rate because I know the limits of what I’m going to pay each month. It's better than trying to get some aid using the fluctuating weekend rates which could really hurt you at the wrong time.

Direct Energy

Hi Rejana, thanks for your review! We are so glad we've been able to assist you with your energy needs. If you ever have any questions going forward, please let us know. Have a fantastic day! - Sam

Original review: July 2, 2017

A friend of mine who was an employee of Direct Energy years ago showed me that with Direct Energy, the kilowatts were a lot less and it was more affordable. I felt that my bill was high before I switched. That would cut the quality of life when you're spending more on bills. But now, I'm saving some money with Direct Energy. Recently, they even offered me a better rate. They also have a very reasonable customer service. They've always handled whatever issue I had in a very reasonable amount of time. It has been easy-breezy.

Direct Energy

Hi Emilie, we apologize for the experience you had with our door to door sales representative. We take matters like this very seriously. Would you like someone from our Office of the President to contact you or would you like to be added to our Do Not Contact list? Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with. Have a great day! - Lindsey

Original review: July 1, 2017

A representative knocked on my door at 6:30pm on a Saturday of a holiday weekend. The gentleman gave a quick spiel in regards to lowering my energy cost to .07 cents. When I told him mine is currently at .04 cents and I was not interested, he asked to see my bill. I said I was not comfortable with that and he stated he had to see my bill to confirm. I grabbed the front page of my bill, after blacking out personal information, and handed it to him. He asked for the editions pages and I once again said I was not comfortable and not interested. The young man huffed, turned around, and under his breath (although he was not being very discreet) "whatever, **". This company will now never get my business. Seems like a scam.

Direct Energy

Hi Maxine, Thank you for the wonderful review! We look forward to continually providing you with excellent services. Sincerely - Anna

Original review: July 1, 2017

At that time, Direct Energy had better rates, so I switched and I have been using them for 5 years now. I reach a time recently that I could switch if I wanted to. We checked around and decided to stay with them. Their customer service has been very satisfactory. I’ve been satisfied with their rate and service all in all and I would recommend them.

Direct Energy

Hi Joseph, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We do show six billing statements were reversed and re -billed to you in October for our billing error. We show you spoke with someone in our Office of the President, and we apologize if there was a lack of follow up. Moving forward if you have any questions, please contact us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com or call us at 1.888.305.3828. Have a great day! - Jimmy

Original review: July 1, 2017

I have been with Direct Energy for two years. They have better pricing over other providers and they are reasonable. Last year they called me and they told me about a mistake they had with my billing for about three or four months. They said they were gonna correct that but they never did get back with me about that. Maybe they could communicate a little better.

Direct Energy

We appreciate the positive feedback, Lacy! We aim for excellent customer satisfaction and we are happy to hear we were able to satisfy your energy needs. In the future, if you need to reach us, you can email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com, call us at 1.888.305.3828, or us our live chat feature which is available through your online account. Have a good day! -Sue

Original review: June 30, 2017

Direct Energy is giving me peace of mind. I'm a disabled veteran, and it's hard for me to pay bills. The company I was using back then was charging me 10.5 kilowatts and Direct Energy told me that they would only charge me 8.5 kilowatts. It has helped me hold up. However, when I tried to call them once because I had a question, I kept getting their automated machine. I would love to have Direct Energy's phone number in case I do have a problem, because I don't like talking to the automated machine because it doesn't care how upset it's making you. It will just say the same things over and over. I got my first and second bill, and it will be this month's bill that’s gonna really tell if Direct is giving me a better service than another company.

Direct Energy

Hi Keith, Thank you for the wonderful review! We look forward to continually providing you with excellent services. Sincerely - Terrance

Original review: June 30, 2017

At first, we used Reliant for many years. Then we got reviews from all kinds of people, and didn't know anybody other than CenterPoint and Direct Energy. I heard Direct Energy would be higher, so I said we'll give them a try. My experience with them has always been fair. They always treat me good and I've gotten decent bills all the time.

Direct Energy

Mikel, thank you for your feedback. We are happy to review your concern regarding the calls with you. Please feel free to email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com for assistance. Thank you! -Elle

Original review: June 29, 2017

Direct Energy was one of the electrical companies that the people use around the apartment area I was renting with. When I first called, I had some trouble getting questions answered only because the people that were on the line didn't really speak English too well. It was hard for us to understand each other and it made it a little hectic to try to get service in the beginning. But once I got it, they were okay. But then they're very persistent in everything. They kept calling me after I closed the account. It's a number that I talked to customer service about and they don't even have that number, but they're still claiming that they're Direct Energy. Since they were doing that, I refused to talk to them. But other than that, to me, they're the same with any other providing company.

Direct Energy

Hi Tedrum, thanks for your review! We are so glad we've been able to assist you with your energy needs. If you ever have any questions going forward, please let us know. Have a fantastic day!

Original review: June 29, 2017

I had Stream before and my contract with them was old. I told my wife about Direct Energy and she looked into it. Direct got a better deal for us and my wife decided that's what she wanted to go with. She called customer service and wanted it to be connected to our new apartment. The rep connected us right away and I was happy about that. I'm satisfied overall.

Direct Energy

Hi Danny, we apologize for the experience you've had with us so far. We are going to send your information to our Escalations department for further review. We have asked that they reach out to you by phone to help resolve your concerns. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Have a great day! - John

Original review: June 28, 2017

Wouldn't ever use them. Signed a Canada 3 year 150 contract. They canceled it and gave me their 1 year contract. They didn't call me directly, nor notify me in any verbal or written way to inform me that they are canceling my contract that was signed in April for July 01 2017 renewal. Real quick way to get out of a contract.

Direct Energy

Hi, Michael! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! We are happy to hear you have been well taken care of as we continue to strive for great customer service every time. Have a great day and try to stay cool! –Elle

Original review: June 28, 2017

It was really easy to set up with Direct Energy. I did it over the phone in 10 minutes. I gave them my address and what I was looking for. That was a really speedy process. The monthly bill is a little bit higher this past month but I've been using more energy because it's hot out here. I've been with them for a little over two months and so far, everything has been going great.

Direct Energy Company Profile