toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

I used Reliant for a year before I used Direct Energy. They both have good services but Direct Energy happens to have the better plans at that time. I did the setting up online. I haven't had to call in too often, but every time they've called, they've been really nice. I had also a plan with free weekends for a while that I enjoyed. Using Direct Energy worked well for me and it's cost-effective. I have recommended it in the past and will still recommend.

I love Direct Energy. They're cheaper than everybody else and I've had no problems except for the hassle of paying my personal account. I have four business accounts and two personal accounts. I like paying over the phone and it goes fine for the business accounts. Everything they ask me goes through. But with the personal accounts, they can't find my phone number when I call. And when it gets to the part where I pay, I give them the routing number and checking account, and then it tells me to repeat. I do that three or four times then they send me to someone else. I pay for it with a business checking account and it doesn't accept it.

The last time I paid, I told the rep about it and she tried to do something but I don't know if it has been taken care of or not. The last time on my house, I wrote a check and sent it through the mail. But I have another place and I called that one in because it was late and I felt that it's better to do the transaction over the phone than wait for them to get the check. Other than this, I don’t worry as much about the electricity bill coming in high. I'm very thankful that it is extremely reasonable. The reps I’ve talked to were all nice people.

Direct Energy didn't ask for a deposit and it was easier to work with them, so I then went with them. I used another provider over 12 years ago, and Direct Energy has better rates. Their people are very helpful, and I always get good customer service when I call.

I had Direct Energy when I lived in a metroplex prior to moving out. I just moved back and I got them for my home. When I was moving back, I assumed I'm going to be moving into one unit. Two days before I move they said they want to move me into another unit but I had already set up my electric. So, I had to call Direct Energy's customer service immediately and switched units I was moving into. So far everything went good. We have been using Direct Energy for a while now, even before I moved but my bill is unusually low. I’m going to call them next bill if it was that low again to make sure they have my right service address because I'm not used to my bill being this low. If it is this low and this is a legitimate bill they will hear nothing but good words from me because this is an unexpected price.

My friend introduced me to Direct Energy. They had the special which is the Friday to Sunday free energy, and that made my decision to go with them. It is better with Direct Energy as I believe I can save some money. I also save energy and save on my bill. However, when I try to log in online, I cannot see my bill and cannot make a payment. I contacted them and they told me that they're going to solve the issue, but I still don't see my bills.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

I got Direct Energy for home. It was offered in my area online, so I chose them. So far, I haven't had any issues and it's been affordable. Our bill is about the same as it was last time. So, everything's been okay.

We signed up with Direct Energy and everything came through. I had a hard time originally signing up online, though. It was a little confusing but I went back to try it again. We had our first bill in the mail. When I forgot to pay, they gave me a quick call and reminded me. For the most part, everything's been pretty good.

We've had Direct Energy's services going on three years now. Their team seemed friendly and knowledgeable. It was easy to get information regarding the rates and to make the rate change. It happened quickly and easily over the phone. However, I wasn’t able to get the same information on the website as I did from the person, which was confusing. I’m also anxiously awaiting my first bill, because I want to make sure what we agreed upon is exactly what I’ll see on the bill and there are no other surprises.

My neighbors got Direct Energy and they told me about it. The service from Direct Energy is a lot better and not bad as much as what my previous provider was. I pay online or sometimes on the phone and there’s no problem doing that. Or also, I get customer service and make sure that the service is squared away. So far, I had no problem with their services. It's been great and I will recommend them.

Direct Energy reps were really helpful when I had to get my service changed to move to a newer location. However, from a customer perspective I want them to lower the prices at it, but other than that, I've no other concerns.

I renewed my contract for two accounts late November and was promised two $25 certificates. After numerous phone calls I have not received anything. Tomorrow I will make my weekly call but ask to cancel on false promises.

Direct Energy has cheaper rates than other providers. I used to go with TXU, but they're three times the cost. With Direct Energy, I have a cheaper bill and that has helped us not to stress so much about money, which is a great thing. In addition, it's easy and very convenient to pay the bill through the app.

Direct Energy

Maria, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Customer satisfaction is important to us. I want to let you know I was able to review your account and do show that we received the payment for the early cancellation fee for your Electric account only so far. You had Gas and Electric with us. The Gas account you canceled still had the early cancel fee of $99. I have privately messaged you with more details on this. Thank you, Melinda

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I was just renting an apartment and the owner did not allow me to renew my contract anymore. That's the reason I need to find another place and discontinue their service. Unfortunately they want me to pay $99 cancellation fee but I explained to them it is not my fault why I need to discontinue. I did not pay the early termination fee until the collection called me. I paid $99 to collection agency a month ago. Then I received another call from collection agency and trying to collect the same amount for Direct Energy. I told them I already settled the amount but they said I have 2 accounts on Direct Energy! How come I have 2 accounts!?? I thought I will save money for signing up with them but it is the reverse.

Direct Energy

Sukyung,we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you or your family. We would like to investigate this further for you. Could you please message us with any of the following information? Agent Name, date the Agent visited your residence, brief description of your specific concerns with any important details and your full address. With this information we will forward it to the appropriate department to investigate the sales practices of the agent. We can also add you to our Do Not Knock list as well.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I am cancelling this enrollment. Their salesperson, whose name is Samantha ** didn't identify himself clearly from which company and forced me to sign up, DIDN'T GIVE ME A TIME TO REVIEW CONSENT FORM!!! Just hurried put me on a phone to say just yes to all answers from back office? As per his word and stayed in front of me and asked me to put on speaker while I was on the phone with back office. He said yes to me when I asked him "Are you from PSE&G?" and he said try to fix my bill was overcharged. Also, he lied to me he spoke to my super for our apartment complex.

I asked our super right after he forced me to sign that form. Our super said he didn't speak anybody today and he worried. Also found out the other tenant at my building was also harassed by same salesperson. I was not happy at all with whole process and called them back with the number they called me, said service disconnected and no longer in service!!! Sounds very suspicious!!! As paper consent form said clearly I can cancel enrollment within 3 business day after the date printed on that form without any penalty or obligation. I AM CANCELLING!

Salesmen came to the door, pushed their way in. Stated that they were from, and not just associated with, our local energy company. They apparently knew quite a bit about us, knowing that we had recently made calls to our energy company asking specifically about meter readings. They had paperwork signifying that they were, in fact, from our local energy company. After calling our company later it was revealed that no one was sent to our location. They asked to see a previous bill, roommate agreed. After they saw the bill, they gave us hints that they were not at all from our company, and were, instead, from Direct Energy. My roommate refused to sign anything, since switching providers is not the premise with which they entered. They posed as our current energy providers and later switched the story.

Contained on the bill is important information which they could use to sign us up for an account with Direct Energy without our consent. I am now concerned that they had recorded the information and will later forge a contract to switch our supplier. Based on other reviews, I am also worried that they will charge me a cancellation fee, even if the account were made fraudulently.

Resolution response: Jan. 6, 2017

After speaking with Melinda in private and talking about my account my situation has been resolved. While I'm overall resolved with my problem, I think there are deeper-seeded problems with the overall system and motivations behind this business model. Updated rating to reflect what I feel about it now.

Direct Energy

Sean, customer satisfaction is very important to us. We would like to look into this further for you. Please send us a message with your account number, address and phone number. Thank you, Melinda- Digital Care Resolution Specialist

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I signed up for gas supply at my apartment in MD with Direct Energy because the rates were better than I was currently paying. I was originally reserved to change because I might move but the door to door sales guy said it'd be fine because I could just transfer the service to my new house when I moved. Well lo and behold at my house in NY the gas rates are double what I'm currently paying and now I'm stuck with a 100 dollar fee and receiving collections calls for it. More like a money pit than the savings their sales people pitch. Never again. I won't bother even listening to another salesman about this.

Resolution response: Jan. 4, 2017

After making this complaint they waived the fee, but the root issue still stands and is similar to the Wells Fargo situation. If their employers are paid on commission for signups they would do or say anything to get the potential customer. This could just be an issue with utilities regulations, but making your business model "lie to the customer and try to fix the issue when the person complains in a public forum" isn't the way to create a successful and reputable company.

Direct Energy

Good Morning Justin. Thank you for making us aware of this. We apologize for the kind of experience you had and want to look into this further. Please send us a message with your account number, address, and phone number so we may investigate further. Thank you, Melinda - Digital Care Resolution Specialist

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I'd like to give a warning to anyone approached by a Direct Energy salesperson. Unfortunately, if your experience is like mine you won't be able to identify them as a Direct Energy representative and they won't even tell you who they work with. In fact, they'll make it seem as if they work for your local utility company and attempt to get you to sign their contract. This is exactly what happened to me. After I realized I was lied to, not only about who I was speaking with but about the fees I was going to be charged, attempting to cancel the service has caused me a serious headache. I had to make multiple calls to my utility provider and again contact Direct Energy. Months later once I thought my unpleasant ordeal with Direct Energy was over I received a bill from a debt collector for $99. Direct Energy didn't provide me with any services or utilities and yet is still attempting to charge me $99.

Direct Energy

Cathy, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We would like to look into this. Could you please message us back with your account number, full address, and phone number? Thank you, Melinda -Digital Care Resolution Specialist

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

When I purchased my 2 furnace 2 electronic air cleaner combo, my maintenance agreement was 2/year cleaning. Over the years it has morphed into 1/year with an extra charge to clean the EAC. I will not purchase from Dial One nor Direct Energy service agreement next time.

In April, I agreed to a payment arrangement as I was unable to pay my bill in full at the time. Months later, I discovered that my enrollment in the averaged billing program had ended at that time. As I live in Texas and have gas heating, for me, averaged billing means paying more than I actually owe in winter and receiving benefit of that to help lower my bills in summer as they would obviously be much higher. Since April and through the summer, I can see no indication or accounting for the money I paid in through the winter months of 2015-16. Regardless of whether my enrollment ended or not, I should have had a credit balance at that time.

As the figures on the bill have no explanation for their unequivocal meaning nor detailed justification of their calculation shown, I am unable to determine how much I have been paying/receiving on any month while enrolled in averaged billing or the total balance on any given month. The purpose of a statement is to support/explain/justify the amount of a bill being submitted for payment. Direct Energy's "statements" do none of those things but rather display seemingly unrelated numbers with no justification and labeled arbitrarily...and then a total due for which I can find no way of relating to the numbers that precede it.

I am fairly certain that I have paid money and that has been removed from my account's reckoning since my enrollment ended, but having spent hours reviewing the bills, I am still unable to find a way of determining what I paid toward the account in advance or any evidence of it's application to recent billed amounts. I have spoken with customer service twice asking for a knowledgeable explanation of each of the lines under "Average Billing Program" (it's meaning and calculation) and for a dedicated representative to investigate, audit and relay the account entries for my prior month's activity in ABP, only succeeding in having my concern understood the second time on Thursday of last week by an agent who was, he finally admitted, unable to explain the numbers and promised to return my call in an hour and/or have another more knowledgeable agent do so that afternoon.

I received no return call from him or anyone else and am now facing disconnection tomorrow or Tuesday (he extended my termination date but was equivocal as to when that date is, saying the sooner I pay on Monday the better?? ). I am extremely frustrated. I have no choice but to jump through hoops and meet ultimatums yet when I need information and service I get half attention and no resolution at best.

Direct Energy

Good Morning! Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you did not have the best experience with us recently. Our goal is to provide the best possible service to all of our customers always, and these reviews are helpful in making sure we can do that. According to our records this account was canceled with no early cancel fee. I have messaged you with more details regarding this account. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. All the best, - Jane

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

Eighteen months ago, my elderly parent was persuaded to change the gas supplier without my knowledge and by the time I found out it was too late. A letter from Direct Energy, dated October 7th 2016, stated it's time to renew. On November 4th, I found a different supplier and signed them up with them. On November 7th I called Direct Energy to try and find out if I had switched too soon and if I would be penalized. I was told, after being put on hold a couple of times, that because of the date of the letter they sent and being renewal time, I would not incur an early termination fee.

The end of the contract is supposedly in December (the paperworks I have has no apparent dates on them). I was then told I needed to cancel my service so I did. In dealing with them everything was vague. I wanted some type of written verification that I would not be charged an early termination fee, but they said they couldn't. I am not happy with this supplier. I wouldn't mind hearing a response from Direct Energy.

Direct Energy

Hi Diane, we would like to apologize for the kind of experience you have had with us so far. Our goal is to provide the best service possible to all of our customers, and if we fell short we want to correct it. Would you please message us with your account information so we may look into this with you? All the best, -Jane

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

I received an outrageous energy bill and assumed it was because of the unusually hot summer/fall we experienced in Rochester, NY. After reviewing my bill in more detail, I discovered that the electric supply company listed did not sound familiar and that my electric supply cost was more than my total gas and electric consumption cost. I phoned Direct Energy (the company listed on May bill) and found out (after I prodded quite a bit) that they bought Energetix, the original company I contracted with.

The representative told me that my agreement changed to a variable rate as of April of 2016!!! So, I have been overpaying by nearly 3x the cost of my local Rochester Gas & Electric rate and nearly double my fixed rate. The only option the representative gave me was to offer me a 15 month contract at a lower rate, but still more than my local energy company as well as many others I called. I feel duped and robbed. I do not feel like this change was communicated properly in order for me to make an informed decision. Stay far, far away from Direct Energy. I feel sick about this.

Direct Energy

Hi Riley! We apologize for the kind of experience you have had with us. We would like to look further into this for you if possible. Would you please private message us with your account number, address, and phone number? Thank you! -Jane

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

A Direct Energy sales representative showed up on our door claiming that Direct Energy was teaming up with encore and were offering lower rates that epcor was providing, which they absolutely are not. We signed up on this principle alone and a part of the deal was a nest thermostat which we were told about with the fees and everything. However, epcor phoned us to ensure we wanted to cancel our subscription with them, which threw up the red flags alerting us that the representative had lied to us. We received the nest and did not open it so we could return it to Direct Energy.

Now I phoned DE and they said there's nothing they could do in the form of waiving the fee and couldn't guarantee a waiver even if we did send it back. They wouldn't even extend our bill as we already cancelled, so now as a low income young couple with a 1.5 year old who is already struggling are stuck with a 278$ bill for 12 days of service. Absolutely ridiculous. Direct Energy is a door to door scam company.

Direct Energy

Hi Julia, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have privately messaged you so we may get additional information needed to investigate this more. All the best,- Jane.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

I was bombarded at my front door to sign up for Direct Energy. The man who was at my door would not allow me to say no even after I asked him to leave several times. After signing whatever form he asked me to sign, I immediately proceeded to cancel my subscription. I did this within 3 business days of signing up for Direct Energy, which meant I would not be charged with a cancellation fee. However, now a month later than this entire ordeal, I just received a bill to pay Direct Energy $99. I was ripped off on my cancellation fee.

Direct Energy

Hi Dennis! We are sorry to hear you have had this kind of experience so far. We would love to look further into this for you. Would you please message us with your account number, phone number, and address so we may assist you further today? Thank you, Jane

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

Direct Energy! How and why Direct Energy became my distributor of gas and electric I have no idea. What I do understand is the fact that they have charged 4 times the local rate of the Rochester Gas and Electric supply charge. This manifests to more than doubling our utility bills just by using their services. When I called DE I was told I was on a variable rate and if wanted to sign up for fixed rate my charges could be reduced significantly (around 40%). Why was I not given that rate when somehow DE became my distributor. That being said they cannot come close the 75% savings I will receive from the local gas and electric supplier. I would advise anyone thinking about Direct Energy to take a very hard look at their high rates and shop the market and be very careful to not make a quick decision.

Direct Energy

Hi Noelle, we sincerely apologize for the experience. We would like to work to get this resolved for you. Please check your private messages for follow up on this issue. Thank you, Eris.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

I have used Direct Energy Power before. So when moving into my new place September 30th 2016 I decided to check out direct energy again and was looking into month to month billing and discovered I would have to wait on month to month billing until next month. With moving expenses, rent & deposit just wouldn't work out in my budget this month seeing as I am on a fixed income with only my disability check as my income therefore opted in pay as you go. I called on first of October to try and enroll and was told there was still an active account and I couldn't open one until account was inactive.

I've waited for the account to fall in the negative and account shut off until Thursday 10/07/2016 and was told then to fax in a copy of my lease and picture ID and it would take up to 48 hours to clear up account. And so my husband and I have temporarily been moved into my daughter in law's home with her husband and their two children while this situation can be resolved. I had waited until Monday 10/10/2016 and called again in hopes that there was resolution to the problem. I spoke with Andrew who after looking over notes on computer and after doing so told me to call back at about 1 pm and I asked him then "would I have power that night" and he reassured me "yes". I called back at 1 pm only to have an employee (Ashley) help me. I guess not really help me as we couldn't get past my name.

I then asked for a supervisor and was made to feel like I was the incompetent one. Then I was placed on hold after telling her at least twice I was on a limited minute phone and she then reassured me that "no worries" they would call me back if we were disconnected. I explained it to her twice. She wouldn't be able to contact me if she used all my minutes up putting me on hold.

By the end of my experience with Ashley I was hung up on. I called back, got what sounded like same employee and I then asked to please be transferred to supervisor. Dan the floor manager then got on telephone with me. Much more pleasant than other employees but, he at one point asked if I could get in touch with old tenant/account holder and just ask her to call and cancel account??? What kind of professionalism is that? I then was told he would send it "escalated" to the president of the company which takes up to 72 hours for response. Again??? I don't get it.

Another attempt made before 5 pm to then tell me my fax was never received when I was already told it was attached to the notes with my order ESIID ** and that was what the 48 hours was based on that fax. Duh??? (My head is spinning at this point.) Here I am again at my daughter in laws apt and I am distraught at the unprofessionalism on all parts of service. I will try back again tomorrow in hopes that something has been resolved. Only because I have already faxed my info to them is why I'm sticking to them. I do not have a car so getting back and forth to a fax machine is inconvenient. You as a company should really look into customer service training through JW Marriott hotels training. Excellent service training. I was voted nationwide for service excellence throughout their hotels in 2007 so I understand customer service but, there is no excuse for the way this is being handled.

We had utilized Direct Energy for years when I realized in the past 5-7 yrs how they actually went about suckering you into different plans. A salesperson comes to the door and asks how your service is and inquires as to what colour bill you have. At this time they mark down your account number and submit information into another type of service. I caught on to this after realizing that somehow I was signed up on a "Budget Plan". After contacting them regarding the matter they informed me they would take me off and not to worry about it. Some time later once again I was put back onto the "Budget Plan" again somehow.

Upon inquiring with them again as what is happening they informed me that I signed up for this. I told them to prove it to me with a signed document. This never happened. This year, 2016 my Family and I were forced out of our home due to a tragic Fire in our hometown. I had cancelled our service thinking of the high possibility of the loss of our home. At this time I called them to find out what the final payout was, which was paid off once and for all. Now today, I receive a bill from this company informing a payment is still required, even though a final payout was issued. In a nutshell: when you ask for a final payout from a Company you would expect that would be the final conclusion.

Direct Energy

Hi Vicky. Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize for the negative experience, and we want to work with you to find out ways you may reduce your use and subsequently your bill. If you would like to please message us your account number we will investigate the matter. We look forward to assisting you further. Sincerely, - Henry

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I have been trying to save on my electric bill for a long time I keep turning things off but yet my usage increases. Along with trying to get ahead I pay a little here and there to avoid having to be bothered. This is so bad that I have even cried. No matter how much I pay in advance my usage goes up and never decreases, they have you do their grunt work with a promise of saving so much on your bill, or you can refer to your friends for a $5.00 credit. I wouldn't do that to my enemy. They can pay for their own advertising or off competitive rates. My daughter just signed up for pre-paid I am waiting to see how that works, but either way I am leaving this company. I am finally out of contract.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Dear Siobhan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We want to make sure that we investigate this matter on your behalf. We have given your information to our Office of the President, and they will be contacting you regarding the matter. We hope to reach a mutual resolution with you in regards to the matter. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns in the meantime.

We look forward to resolving the issue.

Sincerely,

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Door to door salesman gave me the spiel, made me think I would be saving money off of my regular service. Wasn't until he finally bullied me into signing up and I got him to leave that I looked at the fine print of the paperwork and saw that it was a significant increase in price. I called to cancel 3 days later, within the window of the cancellation policy to not be charged. I was told my service would be cancelled. A month later I get their paperwork and the Nest device in the mail. Then the bill, which was $100 more than my previous service. Guess what? They hadn't cancelled my service. I'm on hold with them now, but looking at all the reviews above, I have a feeling I won't be getting out of this so easy.

Dear Darresha,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize if there was any confusion regarding your enrollment rate, and we want to make sure that your concerns are addressed. We show that you contacted regarding those concerns on 9/15/16. If you have any further questions or concerns, please message us your account number along with your further questions. We look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

- Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I had a sales lady visit my home and she was very nice by name of Amber **, and explained I would save money on my electric bill by switching to Direct Energy. Explained there would not be any hidden fees and my bill would be lower using their electric. Once I received my bill I was charged by my provider, Direct Energy (hidden fees) and gas. This increased my bill by 75$. The rate they are charging is very high and was not disclosed and they advised rates can go higher. Bad business. Please be mindful. And now they want to charge 200$ for cancellation.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize for your experience as we are always striving for our agents and representatives to be as polite and transparent as possible.

We want to be sure to answer all your questions or concerns. If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

Spent over an hour switching over to Direct Energy. Special offer of a $50 gift card was never explained. I was told to call back after the application process was complete. In the hour long process had to verify 3 different times with no satisfaction regarding the offer. After an hour with three different departments, I just wanted to cancel and be done. Ginger in the customer relation department had a bit of an attitude which sealed the deal. Don't go near Direct Energy. I wish I could give negative stars. What a negative experience.

Direct Energy Company Profile