Call toll free
4.29/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Direct Energy gives customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. We make energy work harder for our over four million home and business customers across North America. We compete to earn their business every day. We empower our customers with simple solutions to track, understand, and control the electricity and natural gas they use. With these insights, they can make smarter decisions, be more efficient, reduce their energy and save money. The right plan is waiting for you. Call us today!

Direct Energy Video
View More View More

1296 Direct Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I've been using Direct Energy on and off for the last eight years, and the different companies are all about the same. The only way Direct Energy is gonna improve the service is by lowering the prices.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I made a phone call to Direct Energy and they gave me a new rate. I signed up for a year period. I switched to them for the lower rate but the cool season hasn't started yet. It's only 2 cents per cubic feet and that's gonna be a buck a month so it's not a big deal. Still, everything including the Direct Energy team is fine.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I looked up Direct Energy online to make sure it was a legitimate company, and then I saw it was a lower cost so I gave it a try. I've been pleased with them and I'm happy that they're a fine service. I've called them to renew my plan, and they were helpful and polite. But they could do a better job in stating the cost saving because I don't really know the difference in cost between DTE gas and Direct Energy.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

When we signed up with Direct Energy, they were offering much lower rates than National Grid. Direct Energy was our provider for a while, but over time, their rates were almost twice what National Grid would have charged me. The guaranteed rate I accepted once from Direct Energy expired but I never paid attention. I just paid the bill every month when it came in. We switched back to National Grid because their rates were lower. It was pretty easy cancelling my service with Direct Energy. National Grid handled all that. Now, we're producing our own electricity.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I've been with Direct Energy for about three years and when it was time to renew, they called to let me know. They also gave me the options from the various plans that they have. They bill the same amount every month and their service is very good. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I liked Direct Energy's price and they gave me a better deal. Their service is fine and their customer service always answers my questions and they're always helping me out.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Direct Energy gave me a better rate than the other providers. When my rates were higher, I called them back and they were able to give me a lower rate again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I had Direct Energy before in my other place where I used to live. They're a great company and they provide good service. I've had good interactions with their reps. They also save you money, as their rate is cheaper. Since using their service, I've had more money to spend on things with my daughters. I'd recommend Direct Energy to my friends.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have an electric account with Direct Energy, I was offer 10 cents a KW, but that is all BS, I've been with them for 2 months and I just can afford it any more. This month I barely consume 335 kw and is costing 254 dlrs. You contact them and they blame in on AEP which is the supplier. They even warn you, "AEP is going to blame on us so you don't need to call AEP." My last bill I paid online and they claimed a returned check fee that I know it never occur because that account always had sufficient money to cover the amount I think is just a way for them to charge another $30 Dlrs.

I think they blame other companies for their steal and whatever the supplier invoice they just jack up the price as much as the customer can pay before moving to another company, but they make sure you get a contract. That way you have to pay a fee to break your contract. WATCH OUT PEOPLE!! Based on the reviews I've read on this website I think is a Direct Energy own site, trying to get more customers. Direct Energy feel free to contact me. I can give more details, also I can give you my account # for you to check. Thanks.

Direct Energy response

Hello, Luis. We are sorry to hear that your bills have been higher than what you anticipated. If your rate with us is 0.10c/kWh and you only used 335 kWh, your charges from Direct Energy would have only been $33.50. We would be more than happy to review your bill in more detail to determine what is causing this higher amount to show. Please connect with one of our Live Chat agents at www.directenergy.com or send us an email with your account number and full physical address to dedigitalcare@directenergy.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Direct Energy had a lower rate than other providers so I enrolled with them. Their customer service reps were very informative. I only had to talk to them once and that was when I enrolled. That's a good thing because I never had to call Direct Energy for any issues.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Direct Energy is a good company. I've been with them for a long time and at that time, they were more reasonable than the other one that I had. They were also very courteous and nice so I switched over. The service is about the same too.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We've been with Direct Energy for at least three cycles. Sometimes, our agreement is for 12 months or a little bit more. Energy is a commodity so the service that you receive shall be the same for any of the different companies. The only moment that you may complain is when there is out of service or an emergency like that. However, the price shall be the difference and so far, our experience with Direct Energy has been good.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We were under a contract with somebody else and it was at the end of July or the beginning of August that they told me to call about the gas around October. I called Direct Energy to see if there was any better rate. I tried to call them yesterday, but I was put on waiting for so long. The first time was an hour and the second time was a long time too. Nobody got on the phone, so I hung up. They need to improve the service. I don't mind waiting for a bit, but I had an appointment and I had to leave. I recommend their service, although I wish that I don't have to spend so much time on the phone.

They also don't let us know when they have a good rate, so I can tell for that price. I have to call to find out, but it's not easy to get through them and it makes me disappointed, so I don't even bother to call unless I really have to. I spoke to someone last year and he gave me his number, but when I called, somebody else answered and said that he didn't even know if the fellow worked there or he was not working there anymore. I was complaining to him and he gave me his extension number, but I couldn't get through when I tried to call him this year.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Direct Energy has the Free Weekend and the company has always been great. We had some trouble in the past but they were able to work with me and fix it. The people there are also very helpful and most of them are knowledgeable. I've never encountered any issues with any of them. Direct Energy offers an email way to contact them but they take too long. They're better off answering the phones. It's easier and faster.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I am happy with Direct Energy’s service. They have a cheaper price and there is a big difference on that from my previous provider. Right now, I have a contract with them for a year and I can renew it after that. I called their customer service because my service was terminated as there was a confusion with the payment and they were able to straighten it out for me.

Direct Energy response

Good Afternoon, Alma. We are so pleased to know that you are saving money with us! Make sure to look out for your renewal documents in the mail approximately 30-45 days before your contract ends. We always want to make sure our customers have ample time to review the offers and pick the one that fits their usage needs and budget requirements the best. We appreciate you taking the time to share a review with us! Have a fantastic day! Stevie N.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

When I decided to do business with Direct Energy, their rate was cheaper. Then the rate expired after the first year and the rate has steadily been going up so I have been looking around for something cheaper. Direct Energy told me that they didn’t have that rate anymore and I was told of the new rate. I told them that I saw that it was cheaper online but they told me that they have to get an approval so they can give it to me for that rate. They still never gave me that rate. The people I spoke with on the phone were ambivalent and they did not care. All they tell me was that the rate was not available anymore and there is a rate that I have to choose now. I also got the option for a year or for six months.

When renewing the contract with them, I can do it online if I want to or I have them send me an email sometimes. I am not always able to get to my email right away and then the rate would go up and I have missed the opportunity. They get people on the hook with a lower rate and that was why they were going door-to-door. So far, I am not very dissatisfied with Direct Energy because I am still being provided electric to my home but they could do better.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Direct Energy started out at a lower rate. But then it went up and I got mad and I called them, and they put it back down again. It happens about every few months. When I call in, they are full of excuses and they talk about National Grid and how National Grid is higher in terms of rates. I haven't noticed a real difference in Direct Energy's service at all and I’m thinking seriously of going back to National Grid. I'm dissatisfied and I wouldn’t recommend Direct Energy to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

When I came down here, I went to the first place I saw and I've had Direct Energy for about 12 years now. My bill goes up and down but other than that, the people from Direct Energy have been very good.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Was wondering why my Bill was so high for the last year and a half, Was never told even when speaking to the gentlemen that came to my door or the customer service agent that I should receive a renewal letter later on down the road, Long story short after I Did a little research on my energy bill comes to find out after looking on Consumer Affairs and reading a lady's review that I was supposed to receive a renew letter which I did not receive from that company.

I check my mailbox faithfully in every piece of mail or bill that comes to me, I end up calling to speak with someone about This Issue in all and they could is keep telling me that they can see in their system that it was mailed out on December 2016 that is almost 2 years ago. I was Furious. Not only did I not receive the letter. I did not receive a phone call. And the customer service agent Was basically telling me it doesn't matter what I say. He sees what he sees in the system that it was sent out and I'd inform him that just because you see something in your system does not mean that customer received that letter. I told them, "You don't work for the Post Office and neither do I." So from their so called mailing it out to the Post Office anything could happened in between.

At that point I spoke to a supervisor Who basically could not help me at all and was telling me the same thing that they sent it out in 2016. So from 2016 up until now 2018 I've been paying a higher rate than normal Which makes me very angry. I think went on to ask to put in a ticket to speak to someone in much higher position which I was told it would take 5 to 7 business days. I hope for better outcome after I speak with this person because this is crazy. If not I will be looking for a different energy company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I was a ComEd customer for many years. I live in a trailer home in Bartlett and I'm disabled. I live on one check a month and I'm looking to save some money on bills. So, I decided to go with Direct Energy just on the electric bill. A few years ago, I was told by my caseworker that I was eligible for the PIPP program. For many years, I was on the LIHEAP program, that one-time benefit that helped poor people on welfare, like myself, to pay the bills during the wintertime. She told me that in my situation, running out of money, if we get a hard winter and the furnace isn't working a lot, then the bills will be over $100 sometimes, so maybe I should go with the PIPP program. This way, I might be able to survive a little bit better and pay the bills a little easier. She was right. Now, I am on the PIPP program and I pay a certain amount every month that I could afford, and it's like a 12-month period.

When I first signed up for the PIPP program, I told them I have an alternative energy supply company on my electric and I had IGS on my gas bill. My application was rejected because I can't have an alternative gas company. It has to be straight Nicor. But my caseworker told me, "You're okay with the Direct Energy. You could keep the Direct Energy on your electric bill, but you have to cancel the IGS." So, I canceled the IGS and I stayed with the Direct Energy.

I applied for the PIPP program again. I brought my electric bill and I told the rep, "I still have Direct Energy for my electric supply company." When she applied for it on the internet for me, they didn't reject it. I'm satisfied with Direct Energy. I haven't had any problems and there were no interruptions of service except that every now and then, a transformer blows out and we lose our power.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I like Direct Energy which is my supplementary. The rate was lower and I have a better deal with them. I even signed up for another term. For over five years that I've been with them, there were no troubles and they don't bother me.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When I first joined Direct Energy for electricity, my bill went down. However, within the last year, it has been going up and it fluctuates. I don’t use any more electricity than I have been using all along, yet they billed me about $95 which was extremely high. I didn’t use any more electricity than that yet they went to $100 and some. Thereafter, the next bill went up $230. It doesn’t make sense to me. Direct Energy has been my electricity provider for about four years and lately, it’s ridiculous the way the electric bill goes up each month. I have five TVs which had DirecTV and I even cut those out plus the internet but our bill is still going up. When I call Direct Energy, they just keep saying, “Well, they went up” but I didn’t see the rates going up so much at one time before. My electricity bills are just skyrocketing and there’s no consistency with it.

Direct Energy response

Hi Dorothy, and thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear that your bill has been higher than you were anticipating. I took some time to review the account today, and would like to try to clarify a couple of points. I see that your rate has been fixed (meaning it does not change from month to month) since September of 2017. I also show that your usage went up 65% between May and June of this year, and it actually doubled between June and July of this year. This is what resulted in your bills being higher than normal for a couple of months. It appears your usage has started to drop again recently, so your bills will decrease as well. If you would like to discuss in further detail, please feel free to give us a call at 1-866-348-4193 or connect with one of our Live Chat agents at www.directenergy.com. We are happy to go over your usage in more specific terms, and also offer some tips on how to save money each month. Thank you for sharing a review with us, and have a fantastic day! - Jack

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Direct Energy's price might be a little bit more than somebody else but when you start changing around, you don't know what is what. I'm 91 and I have to try to keep my head straight. I have someone to help me but I want to do the right thing. Others change so much that you can't keep up with some of that stuff and that is kinda hard. So, I wouldn't change. I kept Direct Energy all these years and I'm satisfied with them.

Direct Energy response

Good Afternoon, Hilda. We sure appreciate you being a loyal Direct Energy customer for all of these years! If there is ever anything we can do to make your experience go a bit more smoothly, please don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-866-348-4193. We are always here for you, and would love to help any time you need us. Thank you for the review, and have an excellent day! - Stevie N.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I had issues with another company and I was upset with the experience I had. Meanwhile, Direct Energy has weekend free electricity. I wanted them to send me the invoice through the mail instead of me doing it on the internet. Sometimes I get confused and I forget, and all these years I've written a check out for all my bills. I have problems in downloading because when they send the bill, I have Internet Explorer and evidently, most companies are not even sending bills through it. So, when I go to download it and print it, it doesn’t download. Still, they give tips on how to save energy.

Direct Energy response

Good Afternoon, Harvey. We are so glad to hear that the free weekend plan you have is working out well for you! It can be a big money saver for our customers that have the majority of their usage on the weekends. Sorry to hear you are having trouble downloading and printing your statements. You should certainly be able to view, download and print your statement using Internet Explorer. If you are still having issues, please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 1-866-348-4193 so that we may assist you. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Harvey! We appreciate the feedback. Have a wonderful day! - Stevie N.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Direct Energy is a good company. They have a cheaper rate and there is savings with the gas. Also, their team members were all well-versed.

Direct Energy response

Hi David, and thank you for the review! We are so glad to hear that you are saving money, and that your experience with our Care Team has been excellent! We appreciate you sharing your experience with others. Have a fantastic day! - Stevie N.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Direct Energy was cheaper. The only thing I didn’t like about them, and the reason why I called Direct Energy again, is that the rate changed and nobody called me. So it went to a crazy number, and I was paying like $500 a month. That kind of pissed me off a little bit. It would be nice if they would give a call if the rates are gonna change or if the term is up. When I called them, they, however, assisted me fine. Overall, I still recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Direct Energy was cheaper than the preferred company that my apartment is at. However, the person who referred me started his account with Direct Energy in December and I moved in August. Our rates were completely different when I was looking at it. His was by far cheaper just because of the month that I joined. Price-wise, you should wait for a different month if you want a better rate.

Direct Energy response

Hi Megan, and thank you for taking some time to submit a review for us. Our rates do change from month to month based on numerous factors such as market conditions and demand. It would be common for rates to be lower in the winter months versus the peak summer months when demand is so much higher. You mentioned that you were referred by one of our existing customers, so hopefully you are familiar with our Refer-A-Friend plan. You can earn $50 for each new customer that signs on with us,using you as a referral. To find out more information, visit our website at: https://www.directenergy.com/refer-a-friend. Please let us know if there is every anything we can do for you. Have a wonderful day! - Jack

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Somehow Direct Energy acquired my mother in law's contract and transferred it to mine. Went unnoticed for way too long. Have been paying outrageous prices for natural gas for over 10 years. They tell me that there is nothing they can do about it. Contract wasn't even for my utility account.

Direct Energy response

Timothy - we would be happy to look into this for you and see if we can come to a resolution. Please feel free to give us a call at 1-866-348-4193 or connect with one of our Live Chat agents on www.directenergy.com. We are here to help, and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

The rates of Direct Energy are lower compared to our previous provider. Their service is good too. Their reps were also very pleasant on the phone when I called them. I’d tell others to check their rates ‘cause they did well by me.

Direct Energy response

Good Afternoon, Jodi! We are thrilled to hear that you are saving money, and have had excellent customer service, as well! We certainly appreciate you taking some time to share a review, and are proud to have your endorsement! Thank you, and have a wonderful day! - Stevie N.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Direct Energy was good until my contract expired and then all of a sudden, my bill was five times what it normally was. I wasn’t even aware that it was gonna change and then it was impossible to get out of it. Their customer service was terrible. I called and kept getting the runaround. It was a mess. It took me about a month and 12 phone calls. For the couple of years that I was with them, it was fine and the price was good. But the way it ended, I would never use them again. It seemed like a total scam where they got me locked in to a higher rate. It was such a bad experience to get out. I would never recommend them to anybody.

Direct Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Direct Energy is one of the state’s largest electricity providers. Founded in Toronto in 1986, Direct is an international company that also provides consumers - both residential and commercial - with other utilities, including natural gas.

• Legacy: Direct Energy is one of the oldest providers of electricity in Texas, since the company has been around since 1986.

• Selection: Direct Energy offers a good selection of electricity plans, which allows customers to pick a plan that fits their budget and electricity needs.

• Location: Direct Energy is a large company, and they have offices and outposts in more than 30 cities across the state.

• Customer service: Because the company is large and international, many customers must deal with many bureaucratic steps in order to get customer service.

• Consumers: Consumers who are not on a fixed-rate plan or who are renewing their contract may see increases in price from month to month or year to year.

• Best for: Residential customers, midsize and big businesses