4.34/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Direct Energy gives customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. We make energy work harder for our over four million home and business customers across North America. We compete to earn their business every day. We empower our customers with simple solutions to track, understand, and control the electricity and natural gas they use. With these insights, they can make smarter decisions, be more efficient, reduce their energy and save money. The right plan is waiting for you. Call us today!

Direct Energy Video
View More View More

1670 Direct Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: March 17, 2019

The first time I signed up with Direct Energy, it was for a two-year at some rate. Then, allegedly, they sent me emails regarding updates, and I never got them, so I had wound up paying full fare which was a bit high. I've had no problem with customer service though. The problem I had was that it was not abundantly clear that my account was coming up for renewal. But they handled the situation very well, and eventually, we got re-upped at a reduced rate. However, I need to get with them again and ask if I am due for a re-up because I haven't seen an email from them regarding an update or renewal. Also, there's something going on regarding energy fees that I haven't talked to Direct Energy about. But I'm gonna tell them what's going on and what others are telling me. I'm looking for the letter with $600 credit from Reliant Energy, and one of the things that I'm doing this week is to call Direct Energy.

I understand, and I wasn’t fully appreciative of this to begin with, that there are energy power line companies, and there are energy producers, and there are energy sellers. The market is rather interesting that there are companies that procure power and sell it to you at different rates. They guarantee a rate for a period of time, but that they can do so. The power line companies, meanwhile, are fine. They get their rate and they're happy. Then there are companies such as Direct Energy that can obtain power and sell it to consumers and to businesses. Direct Energy has to have us look at all those other rates out there, for us to see that their rates are lower. I'm very sure that a comparison is being done internally by every one of those companies out there, but I've yet to see any one particular comparison. No one seems to be doing that anywhere.

My daughter in law works for Direct Energy, and I suppose I could ask her what's the real skinny. But I'm not going down that road because that's possibly a conflict of interest and there might be confidential materials that they are not able to divulge, so I've never even raised it with her. I know she gets a lower rate than I do because she's an employee, and that’s fine. But it would be nice if, when I do re-up with Direct Energy, they say, “By the way, we've done some general polling, and we might not be the lowest rate out there. For the product we're giving you, it is. Compare this with the two prime competitors, brand X and brand Y, and this is what you're getting.” But they don’t do any of that.

There's an issue on transparency and the “This is why you should get with us” is not so evident. There are a lot of companies out there, and they all say similar things, but none of them are saying they're better than all of the rest because they have lower rates. It's an industry out there that’s not overly regulated. I don’t have any problems with Direct Energy. But it's strange because suppose power goes out, should I call Direct Energy or the energy transmission company? It's unlike the old days when you would deal with just one company. Now, it's a little different.

Hi Frank,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company, website and mobile app to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

We issue renewal notices with your monthly invoice 30-60 days prior to the current contract expiry date. Existing customer renewal rates may be reviewed in your online portal or by speaking with an agent via phone or live chat. Please keep in mind, as with many companies, rates are subject to change each renewal period based on the market.

In reference to power outages, those may be reported in your Direct Energy online portal under Account Management or by contacting customer care directly and we can provide updates directly from the utility.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My electric bills can run very high, and it usually does. I was using Green Mountain Energy and the cheapest one I got from them was $130, but last month, my electric bill with Direct Energy was only 87. They were cheaper than I expected. They also sent me one of those Echo Dot machine thingies for free, which I thought was really cool. I didn't even know I would get one and it was a nice surprise.

I never heard from Direct Energy after I signed up though. I should have a bill by now, but I never received one. I got a courtesy call from them, which never happened with another electric company. It was when I hadn't made the payments after two days after the bill was due. So, I told them I've been meaning to call because I haven't received anything except a privacy policy. The guy said, "No problem, ma'am." He extended my date out for me because I needed another week. He also explained things to me really well over the phone. He told me when my due date is gonna be, set me up and gave me the password information. He also said they had my email wrong in their system.

I received a very good service. That was the first time I dealt with somebody over the phone and he was like somebody from another country. I couldn't understand what he was saying, but after a moment, I understood what he was saying. He was very friendly so I'm very pleased with Direct Energy thus far. Except for me not receiving the information, the transition was clean. Years ago, I switched from TXU to Green Mountain and this one was even easier than that. I appreciate Direct Energy. They have been very easy to work with.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for providing this excellent review, Sara! We are thrilled to see that you are saving so much money each month, and we hope that you and enjoying the Echo Dot! Our Customer Care Team does everything they can to provide empathetic and understanding service, and we are so glad that is what you received when you called in. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Sara! Have a fantastic day! - Jack

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I was a ComEd customer for many years. I live in a trailer home in Bartlett and I'm disabled. I live on one check a month and I'm looking to save some money on bills. So, I decided to go with Direct Energy just on the electric bill. A few years ago, I was told by my caseworker that I was eligible for the PIPP program. For many years, I was on the LIHEAP program, that one-time benefit that helped poor people on welfare, like myself, to pay the bills during the wintertime. She told me that in my situation, running out of money, if we get a hard winter and the furnace isn't working a lot, then the bills will be over $100 sometimes, so maybe I should go with the PIPP program. This way, I might be able to survive a little bit better and pay the bills a little easier. She was right. Now, I am on the PIPP program and I pay a certain amount every month that I could afford, and it's like a 12-month period.

When I first signed up for the PIPP program, I told them I have an alternative energy supply company on my electric and I had IGS on my gas bill. My application was rejected because I can't have an alternative gas company. It has to be straight Nicor. But my caseworker told me, "You're okay with the Direct Energy. You could keep the Direct Energy on your electric bill, but you have to cancel the IGS." So, I canceled the IGS and I stayed with the Direct Energy.

I applied for the PIPP program again. I brought my electric bill and I told the rep, "I still have Direct Energy for my electric supply company." When she applied for it on the internet for me, they didn't reject it. I'm satisfied with Direct Energy. I haven't had any problems and there were no interruptions of service except that every now and then, a transformer blows out and we lose our power.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Sam. We are so glad to know that we were able to be there for you during a time when you needed assistance. We appreciate you being a loyal customer, and we look forward to serving you in the future. Thank you for the review, and have a wonderful day! - Jack

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The lady that I spoke with at Direct Energy was really sweet, but the phone hung up. I called back and spoke to another girl, but she was so awful. I asked her about the different rates, and she told me a rate of about 10.2 and I said that I saw a rate online and it said 9.9. I asked if there was any way we can look at that one and set that one up. She said that there was not a rate of 9.9. She then goes, "Isn't 10.2 the same thing anyway?" I said it was not and I asked to speak to a manager. She said that the manager was gonna tell me the exact same thing, but I said okay and that I wanted to speak to a manager. She kept repeating that until I said that I would really like to speak to a manager. She put me on hold, but I thought it was like a permanent hold, so I hung up.

I called back again and spoke to another lady, and she was so helpful. She explained to me about the 9.9 and also explained that if I did it on my own and renewed online, I would be able to get that rate. I did it online real quick and she had stayed on the phone. She made sure that everything was set up properly on my account and that I had done everything. After that, it was super simple and easy. I've been with Direct Energy for several years already. However, in the area that we live in, during storms and even during the summer, we have our lights flicker. The electricity will flicker and turn off during the extremely hot days. They're building and building in the community where we live, so they need to look at their electricity situation and how they're doing it over here. I think there is sometimes an overload of things per transformer.

Whenever we were on a fixed rate, it was really wonderful and we usually had really good low payments. We had a low bill every single month. Then, I didn't realize that our contract was up. I looked through my emails and I didn't see anything in my emails notifying me that I was gonna be up. It was for June, July, and August, so I anticipated a higher bill, but I was surprised because I was getting $300 bills. That was very shocking to me because we have gone a lot. I even moved my temperature up a little bit. I called and I realized our contract had been up and we were paying 15.2 cents per kilowatt per hour. Whenever I renewed, I got a smaller kilowatt per hour.

Direct Energy response

Hello, Rachel! We very much appreciate you taking the time so submit such a detailed review. It is disappointing to hear that you had a less than outstanding experience with our Care Team over the phone. We always strive to provide an outstanding experience, and are sorry to hear that was not the case for you. Keep in mind that Direct Energy is the supplier of electricity; your local Utility company actually delivers, so if you are experiencing outages or similar issues, we suggest that you contact the Utility to report those issues. As for renewal rates, we do send out end of term information approximately 60 days prior to the contract expiration date. If you are in TX, that would be included with your regular monthly bill. We are sorry for any confusion, but are glad to hear that you were able to renew on a lower, fixed rate contract. Thank you again for the review, and we appreciate your loyalty. Have a wonderful day! - Liv

Original review: June 6, 2018

Direct Energy said they were working with the utility companies to get the utility cost down, so it seemed like a good deal. But they kept coming, knocking on the door and like clockwork, they show up the same day or the day after I get my bills in the mail. The day I get my bills, I make checks for them and I mail them right out. Then I put away the rest of the paperwork. They always want to see the bill and the utility companies are saying they are not to be looking at it. But Direct Energy is saying they've got to check it when they should have everything on the computer. This is annoying. Then one day, a girl knocked on the door and she had a name tag from some other place. I told her I'm with Direct Energy and she opened her folder up where she had a name tag with her picture on it from Direct Energy. She said they were no longer under the name Direct Energy and it wasn't now this company, so we went through the paperwork to re-sign.

Then I got to thinking about it a couple days later. If they sold out and they would rather do business, why didn't they just no-reply mail to the mail that their name has changed to this other company? Curious, I called up Direct Energy and they answered the phone which meant they were still in business. Then I found out that there was a girl who used to work for them and chopped their name tag and was working for one of the other companies now. That pissed me off, so I called Direct Energy back and told them I want to come back and stick with them. I didn't want to switch companies, so I had them call the company she signed up for and tell them that the deal was no good. I had Direct Energy contact the utility companies themselves to let them know that it has been something shady. Then I called the Better Business Bureau and reported it too.

However, because I ended the contract with Direct Energy, I had to pay a higher rate when I started back up with them again. I ended my service with them now on the electric but I still have them on the gas which probably isn’t gonna last long either. They kept telling me that they'll keep me below Ameren's price, yet I had another rep from a different company come and he showed me that his price was lower than what Direct Energy's was. He also showed me Ameren's price and Direct Energy was charging me more than what Ameren was charging, so I went back to Ameren on my electric. I still have a two-year contract with Direct Energy and they've been charging me more than what this contract price is. So, when I end it all with Direct Energy, I will go back to Nicor. Nevertheless, Direct Energy did fine overall. Still, they need to eliminate these people knocking on my door every month because I deal only with the people in their Oklahoma office.

Direct Energy response

Hi, Terry. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I definitely understand wanting to both keep the price low and not have people visiting your home all the time. I would be happy to help see what we can do to get both of those concerns addressed. For assistance please email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com with your utility account number, telephone number, and full service address. I look forward to speaking with you soon! -Adaline

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: May 22, 2019

Direct Energy has comparable and competitive prices. Plus, interacting with their team has been good. We have had no issues and we're happy with Direct Energy. People should use it.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I liked Direct Energy's pricing and I've been with them for a month. So far, I have seen a lower monthly bill.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I was doing a Google search, and I saw Direct Energy and I liked the deal. I've had them for a long time and they’ve done a good job for me for the last five years. They're the main one that I've had since I graduated from college. The reps are usually quick on fixing whatever you need them to fix and I’ve had no problems at all with Direct Energy.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I’ve been using Direct Energy for years. I have them at the apartment complex that I manage and the service has been good. Our tenants are responsible for the electricity though so we turn on the electricity only when we’re fixing the place up between tenants. With Direct Energy, I don’t have to sign a contract and can have it for just 10 days.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Direct Energy accommodated me with a better rate and my bill went down since I did that. When I call them and talk to them about my bill, they are wonderful and very respectful. I've been with Direct Energy for almost 6 years and I’m very happy with them.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I was with Ambit Energy before and a co-worker told me about Direct Energy. Their price was lower per kilowatt than Ambit's and they were having a good thing so I was getting 8 cents a kilowatt at the time I switched over to them. Also, their website is very user-friendly and things are so online-driven now that I don’t ever really have to talk to anybody anymore. Compared to that, Ambit's website wasn’t as user-friendly and their contract wasn't as clearly defined. So, working with Direct Energy has definitely made things easier.

But they used to be a lot better compared to Blaze, TXU and other companies and their rates really haven’t been much lower as of late. I’m also a little frustrated that they didn’t notify me when my contract went up. My rate went from 10 cents a kilowatt to 18 cents a kilowatt when my contract expired and I wound up getting a bill that was double compared to the previous month's.

I also feel like the communication hadn’t been as good as it had been in the past. Before, they had different deals and for the last two years, they said that if I signed up, they'd send lanterns to another country that had no electricity. I thought that was really cool. I wholeheartedly liked Direct Energy because of the giving back and I was very disappointed that there was not an option for that this year. That program made me feel like I was already paying for my electricity and at least, they were also giving back to somebody else. But this year they didn’t notify me about any promotion and just said to sign up. There was no giving back like there normally was.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I was a door-to-door salesman for Direct Energy back in 2012. I got no problem with the service but I find it weird that every time I decide to renew our contract, they would say that I'm a first time customer when I've been with them since 2013. I'm always offered lower rates from what I usually have but I'm never informed when my contract expires and I would find out when I get a high bill. Usually, they get everything taken care of on the spot and they are always courteous and respectful. Everything is working out just fine.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Direct Energy's customer service is good. Every time I call, they’re friendly on the service line. I’ve had other providers in the past and I’ve been a previous Direct Energy customer, too. I’m glad to have energy like anybody else.

Original review: May 19, 2019

The customer service at Direct Energy is good. The nights are free, which is nice. It is a very good advantage. We are happy with Direct Energy so far.

Original review: May 17, 2019

We were transferred over to Direct Energy from Bounce Energy. Direct Energy's service is good for me. However, their reps are really hard to understand. They’re all Hispanic. But I could get through it and they are very friendly.

Direct Energy response

Thanks very much for your balanced and fair review of our company, Robert! We certainly value your opinion and appreciate the feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone or live chat should you need assistance. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Original review: May 16, 2019

My experience with Direct Energy as well as my interaction with their team members has been great. I have taken advantage of the special offers that Direct Energy is offering for the weekends, and I like that service.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for leaving us such a great rating Maximiliano! We really appreciate your feedback. If you ever have any questions about your account, feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat. Have a momentous day!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have no problem with Direct Energy and I would recommend it. We’ve been with Direct Energy since we bought the place in Alpine. And originally, we were trying to go with West Texas Utilities, and they directed us over to Direct Energy. So, we had stayed with them and haven’t been unhappy. The fixed rate seems to be fine. We’re there in the wintertime, and we’re gone for the rest of the time.

Direct Energy response

Hi Al, thanks for your review! We are so glad we've been able to assist you with your energy needs. If you ever have any questions going forward, please let us know. Have a fantastic day!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been with Direct Energy for four years. The cost has been fine but it went up this year and they should lower it some. I like the free weekends though and I've recommended Direct Energy to my boyfriend's son and daughter and they both signed up.

Good Afternoon Debra,

We are very pleased to hear you are satisfied with our services. We really appreciate your feedback. If you ever have any questions about your account, feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat. Have a momentous day!

Original review: May 15, 2019

One of my friends gave me Direct Energy's info. The service is very good. The customer service is also very good. Working with Direct Energy has made my life worry-free.

Levi,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction and it sounds like we achieved that goal with you. We want every experience to be “five stars”! Glad to hear you love our services!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've been Direct Energy's customer for 30 years. I've stayed with them because whenever I get approached by another company, Direct Energy matched their rate. I won't move. They didn't do it this time as much, but it wasn't that much more. We have some real property so we do get temporary service, and that's starting to become a problem. Trying to get new service without any hassle is the only problem we have. Other than that, I'd recommend Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

We appreciate the positive feedback, Judy! We aim for excellent customer satisfaction and we are happy to hear we were able to satisfy your energy needs. Regarding temporary services, we recommend enrolling on our month to month variable plan known as the Bright Choice which does not consist of a contract or cancellation fee. All the best!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

I looked up some of the plans that were available for my ZIP code on the internet. I was trying to figure out what would be a good price for me, but I couldn’t make sense of it. One of the neighbors had Direct Energy so that was the one I went with. You have to stay below or above a certain average and every one of those rates are three tiers. Depending on what part of the year it is, I'm close to one or I'm falling into one of the other ones. So I have not noticed any difference in my bill. But I haven't had any issues, which is good.

Good Morning Luis,

We certainly would like to apologize for any confusion regarding the rate plans. The average rate shown is based on 2000kWh and includes the utility fees. The energy charge is the actual fixed rate shown in the EFL below the rate plan and shown on your monthly invoices. Should you need clarification regarding the rate or usage, please feel free to reach out to us via phone or live chat. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I've gotten one bill so far after going with Direct Energy and it was pretty low. So, I'm happy with their service so far.

Direct Energy response

We appreciate the 5-star rating, Nicholas! All the best!

Original review: May 13, 2019

We’ve used Direct Energy for a long time and our experience has been fine. The cost has been the same and it's good. They were calling to let me know that my contract was about to expire so I could set up a new one. I talked to a lady and she was fine.

Direct Energy response

Hi Misty, thanks for your review! We are glad that you're enjoying our services! If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to us for help. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 12, 2019

We have a list of people that we can work with and Direct Energy had better plans and rates. Plus, their customer service has been great and my experience has been good any time I called. Their reps were very knowledgeable and helpful. Even in some situations where I got things that I probably shouldn’t have gotten, they would give me a courtesy and say that they'd let it happen that one time. However, when we moved less than a mile to a new apartment complex, the light bill here has been way more expensive than the light bill at the other complex.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for leaving us such a great rating Joleesia! We really appreciate your feedback. If you ever have any questions about your account, feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat. Have a momentous day!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I've been using Direct Energy for many years. When we first moved to our place, the phones were already in but we weren’t happy with the way that they worked. So, we looked around and decided we'd try Direct Energy. My wife talked to them a couple of times. She was wondering why our monthly payments had gone way up. And they checked and said, "You haven't signed back up." My wife then goes, "Well, I sign back up." And now, the payments are back to normal.

Direct Energy response

Billy, thanks very much for your balanced and fair review of our company! We certainly value your opinion and appreciate the feedback.

Original review: May 12, 2019

The sales rep from Direct Energy was really good and straightforward. He broke everything down, and anything that I needed to know he had an answer. He explained to us how people were able to go up on your property taxes if you're not aware of what you're paying for your electric bills. It was like if they saw that you can pay a certain amount on the light bill then they can go ahead and go up on the taxes. The customer service was good. I received my Echo and it works well. We have been with Direct Energy for over 20 years and our bill is cheaper than when we were still with TXU.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The company that I currently was with was raising prices on me. And I did most of my energy use from the weekends. Direct Energy had a free weekend plan I was looking for. I was able to choose my start date and I signed up through the phone. And so, they were able to give me an estimated bill based on usage over the phone. I feel like I'm definitely saving a lot of money since switching over to Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

Hi Juan, thanks for your review! We are so glad we've been able to assist you with your energy needs. If you ever have any questions going forward, please let us know. Have a fantastic day!

Original review: May 11, 2019

I like Direct Energy. I was looking for cheaper rates online, and Direct Energy had the cheapest in my area. I was paying for TXU Energy about 18 cents per kilowatt hour, and now, I’m down for seven. The team at Direct Energy was knowledgeable, very awesome, and respectful people. I have recommended a lot of people.

Direct Energy response

We appreciate the positive feedback, Rafael! We aim for excellent customer satisfaction and we are happy to hear we were able to satisfy your energy needs. All the best!

Original review: May 10, 2019

It's usually in the summer months that we start getting double and triple the wattage charge. I do expect to see the upper bills. But we are rarely home during the summer, and we should not still be paying 4,000 kilowatts a month. So we decided to change providers and went to Direct Energy. Their sales representative was phenomenal. She listened, looked at my other bills and pretty much said the same exact thing as me. There's absolutely no way in the world that happened. So she understood my frustration. I liked her quite a bit.

I've paid two bills now, and it went up $18 from one bill to the next. So that's pretty good, considering we were in the 70's one month, and we're 85 this month. So $18, I can deal with that. Hopefully, next month, we start hitting the 90's and it only goes up $50. Then, I'd be happy. I'd like to keep it under that $300 mark. As of right now, I would recommend Direct Energy.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My contract with another provider was up and it was due, and a saleslady from Direct Energy came at the right time. I’m now a customer for Direct Energy, and my monthly bill has been quite steady. That’s one of the things I like. There are no spikes. Living in Corpus Christi, when you have a cold front, the temperature goes into 50 degrees, and the houses are not prepared for those kinda temperatures. You see an increase in your bill, but that’s kinda normal.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for leaving us such a great rating Luis! We really appreciate your feedback. If you ever have any questions about your account, feel free to reach out to us via phone or live chat. Have a momentous day!

Direct Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Direct Energy is one of the state’s largest electricity providers. Founded in Toronto in 1986, Direct is an international company that also provides consumers - both residential and commercial - with other utilities, including natural gas.

• Legacy: Direct Energy is one of the oldest providers of electricity in Texas, since the company has been around since 1986.

• Selection: Direct Energy offers a good selection of electricity plans, which allows customers to pick a plan that fits their budget and electricity needs.

• Location: Direct Energy is a large company, and they have offices and outposts in more than 30 cities across the state.

• Customer service: Because the company is large and international, many customers must deal with many bureaucratic steps in order to get customer service.

• Consumers: Consumers who are not on a fixed-rate plan or who are renewing their contract may see increases in price from month to month or year to year.

• Best for: Residential customers, midsize and big businesses