4.3/5 (217 ratings)

About Direct Energy

Direct Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that services homes and businesses in select states and territories. The company offers online bill pay options and smart home bundles.

Top Direct Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Direct Energy wasn't as high in cost as the other companies at that time, so I didn't have to pay as many. I signed up for two years in the Fort Bend area, west side of Houston. T...

Verified

...We used Reliant prior and I prefer Direct Energy over them. Our bills have been way less than when we were with the other provider and I have no complaints. Also, I haven't had...

What is Direct Energy?

Direct Energy is one of North America's top providers of electricity, natural gas and other energy-related products, including water heater rentals and warranties, for both businesses and homes. It offers protection, maintenance and repairs for all its appliances and systems, as well as easy-to-use software that helps track and control energy usage.

Direct Energy is a Texas-based company and serves a large population in Houston and Dallas. Not only does it give you the tools you need to be energy-savvy — it also prioritizes environmental sustainability and donates to various outreach organizations in the community, including Texas Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network.

Direct Energy plans

Buying energy can be a confusing process, but Direct Energy can help simplify electricity and natural gas purchases. The company offers contracts ranging from 12 to 36 months. On its website you’ll find available natural gas and electricity-based energy plans, with four electricity options you can customize:

• Fixed-rate plan: This plan creates a consistent bill based on a customized contract and offers protection from changes in energy market prices. Your price will stay the same for the duration of your agreement.
  • Variable-rate plan: This plan doesn’t offer a set rate or contract term. Instead, it’s based on a month-to-month basis. You can cancel your service at any time, but your rates will fluctuate with the market.
  • Smart home offers: This electricity plan is bundled with smart home devices like the Echo Dot.
  • Free electricity plan: This is a time-of-use plan that offers some free electricity depending on your daily and weekly energy usage.

For natural gas, Direct Energy offers only a fixed-rate plan in some locations.

Direct Energy rates

Direct Energy provides competitive electricity and natural gas prices in its service area. Although its rates constantly fluctuate due to the nature of the energy market, its electricity costs seem to settle around $0.109/kWh for the 36-month plan and $0.118/kWh for the lower-tier 12-month plan. All its electric and natural gas plans come with a $4.95 base charge.

Direct Energy FAQ

Does Direct Energy offer month-to-month plans?
Yes, it offers variable rate plans for electricity (but not for natural gas).
Does Direct Energy offer natural gas plans?
Yes, Direct Energy offers fixed-rate natural gas plans in select states.
Where is Direct Energy available?
It’s available in 15 U.S. locations — Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, and Washington, D.C. — as well as three in Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario.
Can I pay my Direct Energy bill online?
Yes, you can manage your account online and pay your bill through the easy-to-use website.

Is Direct Energy legit?

Direct Energy is a legitimate energy provider that supplies over 6 million homes in the U.S. and Canada with natural gas and electricity. Its award-winning service is likely to meet your energy needs, and its competitive rates and upfront pricing make it worth considering if you’re looking for a new provider.

Direct Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I was with Bounce Energy and it switched over to Direct Energy and we stayed with them. We've been with this electric company for a long time. Before this, I was with Reliant but it came back to looking who had a good rate and I've always enjoyed the customer service that Bounce/Direct Energy has had. The only thing I miss is that when it was with Bounce, there was an incentive for paying on time and you could turn those points in to get gift cards. But comparing customer service, they're more attentive. Anytime my plan is going to expire, they'll send me new rates to pick from, whereas Reliant wasn't so open about it. So, you'd end up paying that high market price. But Direct Energy is good about making sure that I'm set up on a renewal.

Our power goes out less. With Reliant, it used to go out every summer at least once or twice because of heatwave. But with Direct Energy, we don't have any issues, aside from the freeze back in February but everybody got cut off. When it thunderstorms, there are times where the power goes out but not as much and it doesn't last very long. The storm has to be bad. I'm not sure how that works because I know it goes off of the electrical grid but we hardly have any issues with power going out. People report that they don't have power and we still do. Even with the freeze, it took us a while to lose our energy.

I went through a name change and the reps were quick. They told me the process and got me switched over. I have gone through two name changes since I've been with them and those have always been easy. They got it right the first time. I have my payments set up on auto pay so, everything is managed online and I never have to call in, which is nice. Anytime anybody ever posts about looking for new electric companies, I always share my experience with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

Hello Cassandra. Thank you for this excellent rating and comment. We're so glad having you as a part of our family, thank you for staying! There is no bigger compliment for us than when our customers say they would recommend Direct Energy to their family and friends! Are you familiar with our Refer a Friend Promotion? You and the new customer can each receive a $50 credit. To find out more information, visit our website at https://www.directenergy.com/refer-a-friend. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you! We will continue doing our best to be your trusted electricity supplier for many years to come! All the best! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Direct Energy put me in a 12-month contract, and they said that when the 12 months end, then we'd go with variable instead of fixed. I asked them about the senior citizen offer because my husband and I are past 60. They said they didn't have that to offer. I have asked about discounts and specials. The only thing they can give is if someone stays in the contract for 12 months, then they might see a difference in their kilowatts. When I do talk to the people from Direct Energy, they show empathy and sympathy. I have not ran into anyone being rude and not understanding of what we all are going through. The only reason why I did a contract was because I did appreciate the customer service of the lady who persuaded me to do a contract.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon, Cathy. Thank you so much for your loyalty since 2003, we are really happy to have you in our family! Please notate that your account is currently enrolled in a variable price product and this may vary (up and down) up to once a month based on the market conditions, does not have a contract, and does not depend on us. We invite you to send us a private message through this review platform so we can work with you and help you find the best plan to suit your energy needs and budget. We will make sure to set the best deal for you! We look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for this amazing rating! All the best! - Sophie / Digital Care

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I was using CenterPoint, and their pricing was way high. I was paying almost 19 cents per kilowatt hour. I like Direct Energy's pricing. The bills stay pretty constant. They honor their contract, and I'm very comfortable with them. We get a call for renewing the contract and I tell them what I want. It's about a two-minute call. Working with Direct Energy cut my bill in half. I have a lot more money to spend. I've got good service and I'll continue using them.

Direct Energy response

Good morning, Eugene. Thank you for your trust and loyalty! It feels amazing to know you're satisfied with the service we're providing you. We are so happy to have you in our family and we will strive every day to always provide you with the attention you deserve. We have noticed that you're currently enrolled in a variable price product. Please be advised that a variable rate may vary (up and down) up to once a month based on the market conditions and does not have a contract. We would love the opportunity to work with you and help you find the best plan that suits your energy needs and budget, please send us a private message through this review platform and we will be more than glad to help you set the best deal! We look forward to hearing from you soon. Have a beautiful weekend! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: May 26, 2021

I liked Direct Energy's start time that they had on their free weekends. It was two hours earlier than Reliant. So, I could get more done on the weekends. I had Reliant for a long time. And then I was with Direct for two years. And then that contract expired, so then I signed up again, just recently, with a thing again for one year this time. Because that was what they had a good rate on. It's $11 something. I listened to them when they ran down all their plans. Because they could look at all my usage over the past year, and they told me which plan would be better for me. And they hit it right on the nail when the rep told me that my bill would be averaging between $90 and $99. And the last two bills since I started have been $99. It was good on their calculation on what I'm used to doing.

I pay my bills through my banking app. I always get emails about use this and things going on, so it's updated. And they break it down. The bills are simple to read and understand. Everybody did what they told me they were going to do. I tell everybody about my free weekends. Everybody in my circle of friends knows that I get to start my free weekends at 6 o'clock and not 8 o'clock. I'm very happy with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

Hi Dennis, we appreciate you are taking the time to share your amazing experience with us. Glad that you are choosing us for another year and we hope to be your energy provider for more time. We are pleased to know that you found the best plan based on your lifestyle. Thank you for your recommendation of our service. We appreciate the pivotal importance of recommendations, and we are fortunate to have a customer like you. Here is a link to our Referral Program page for details on how to receive rewards for referring friends and family to Direct Energy: https://www.directenergy.com/refer-a-friend#how-to-share/. Have a good day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: May 21, 2021

Some friends of mine used Direct Energy at one time before and they said it was a good company and that I should try it. Signing up was very quick and easy. Customer service talked to me about different plans and some of them were too high. I told them what I was interested in, which was the one that they sold me on. I didn't want a plan that was too expensive on a monthly basis and I didn't want one where you paid a certain amount. I wanted to be able to have an electric bill that I pay in full every month and be done with it.

I've been satisfied with the plan that I have. I pay my bill over the phone and get a confirmation number. I'm used to doing that. As soon as I call the number, it says, “We found an account under the name of... and if this is you, press one.” It tells me exactly what my bill is, what I just paid for the last bill, and what my new bill is. That's all I ever need to know.

So far, I've referred nine people to Direct Energy. I've told each and every person that they are the best energy company that I know of right now. TXU is the worst one. I said, “If you want an electric company that you can deal with, and that's going to take the time to do what needs to be done where your account is concerned, you want Direct Energy.” My daughters are with Direct Energy now. I turned them over. A few of my neighbors have changed over to Direct Energy too. A lot of them said they had to wait until theirs expired then they could go with the new company. I told them to go ahead and change. They are going to see the difference in the bill that they pay.

Direct Energy response

Hello Linda. You made our day with this review! Thank you so much for trusting in us your family and friend's peace of mind! It is a big deal for us when our customers recommend Direct Energy to their family and friends! Are you familiar with our Refer a Friend Promotion? You and the new customer can each receive a $50 credit. To find out more information, visit our website at https://www.directenergy.com/refer-a-friend. Your trust and loyalty mean the world to us! Best wishes to you and your beloved ones! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: April 15, 2022

Had their service for 2 years and was treated well. I was set up for paperless billing and auto pay. But when I switched to a different provider, they locked out my account so I could not see my final bill. Then they kept charging my account saying I had not paid. My attached Account was charged multiple times with the 3 months' previous amounts and they kept adding fees for 4 more months. If you are going to force folks to do Online business DO NOT lock the Account. I will not use this service or recommend to anyone because of this practice.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I received a rejection letter from Direct Energy 11/3/21. They state my Duke Energy account number was wrong. I called 11/4/2021 the phone number provided on the letter to resolve the issue. I was told at that time it could take up to 2 months to switch. I Checked my Duke invoice and my Electric supplier still had not changed. I have spoken to no fewer than 8 people and they are blaming me for not contacting them when I was notified via mail of an account number problem.

I have every name and date of who I have spoken with. I finally got Employee to admit the employee on 11/4/21 who re-entered my account number did not re-enroll my re-entered account number. As we all know rates are higher today and Direct Energy refuses to honor my Enrollment rate in 2021. Follow through is important with Direct Energy if you choose to use them. When our corporate account expires at work I will be switching to another entity. This has soured me towards Direct Energy.

Original review: March 26, 2022

We purchased a house that had a Direct Energy tankless hot water system lease. We asked the real estate agent to make sure the owners cancelled the lease. During the month we took over the property, we contacted Direct Energy to make sure that the lease would be cancelled, the staff member of Direct Energy stated it could be cancelled. We contacted Direct Energy this past week to confirm cancellation, and they denied the request stating we should have saved the information from the previous agent. We are stuck either paying thousands of dollars to cancel or keep the contract, which we never signed, for four years! We are reaching out to any and all organizations, networks, legal, communities to voice our total disagreement of their policies and practices. We have already reached out to the BBB and their complaints department. There will be more to come.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Good evening everyone. I normally don't write reviews on electric companies but if I can help someone in regards to making a good decision I will. I am currently with Direct Energy and has just received a pink slip regarding my lights, when in fact I was told I would get a deferred agreement plan. I talked to a supervisor and he heard the phone conversation and refused to give me an ext because of their mishap. Come to find out the deferred payment was offered but it was not applied. Needless to say, a big waste of time.

Then the supervisor offered an ext if I can pay a down payment, well that did not happen either and to make the phone call more uncalled for the supervisor goes into how sorry he is that he can't help. I was very disappointed being that we stayed on the phone for a minute just to get negative results. The reason I am writing this review, is to warn others that they can care less about helping but in fact all about their money, which I do get it but to not help at all is beyond me. Please go somewhere else, perhaps you will get treated better.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I can't speak for the US branches, but my family has been using Direct Energy Calgary/Edmonton for our business for a while now-- They recently renewed our service at triple last year's rate without obtaining consent, telling us that we were informed by paper mail, despite us opting in for fully online (paperless) communications since the start of our original contract. We tried to navigate the situation to make both parties happy, offering to pay a discounted rate (but still higher than original) but we received no compromises on their end, only pressures to pay the last few months on the new 3x rate. When we refused, they eventually employed a debt collection team to pester us. Stay away from the Albertan branches! No care for customer satisfaction or cooperation.

Direct Energy Company Information