toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Direct Energy

Verna, thank you for the kind words. We are so pleased that your sister gave you our information so you can enjoy the savings as well. Thank you for choosing Direct Energy. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

My sister got Direct Energy and she turned me on to it. Other companies have higher prices. Direct Energy's service is better and my monthly bills have been lower so far. I'm enjoying it and I'd recommend Direct Energy.

Direct Energy

Tracee, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are glad to hear that you refer others to us as well. We do understand the importance of saving our customers money and try hard to do that anyway we can. Please don't hesitate to message us if you have any questions or concerns. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

It was my very first apartment and the leasing agent suggested that I use Direct Energy because he has it and he said they're good. So I've been with Direct Energy ever since. I use it strictly for electric. Last October, they sent me an email when my contract was almost up. It said to call in to see what specials they have. I want to keep everything as is and I asked them what they had going. The gentleman I spoke with that day was very helpful, and explained the different plans they have and the differences between them. He guided me into which plan was probably best for me and it was something that was rather cheap, so I was very happy with it.

I've recommended Direct Energy to everybody. People always ask me how much my bill on average is and they can't believe it when I say it's no more than $50. I'm in a full one bedroom, so it is a little bit bigger than my first apartment. But it probably isn't that much because I'm not running gas. They still have been great and I haven't had any problems. The app gets a little bit glitch-y so I deleted it from my phone, but I can just go online.

Direct Energy

Erin, we are glad to hear you have recommended several others to us, and that you enjoy having coverage from us. That is wonderful! Thank you for your business. Have a great day! -Violet

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I used Reliant for a year before I used Direct Energy. They both have good services but Direct Energy happens to have the better plans at that time. I did the setting up online. I haven't had to call in too often, but every time they've called, they've been really nice. I had also a plan with free weekends for a while that I enjoyed. Using Direct Energy worked well for me and it's cost-effective. I have recommended it in the past and will still recommend.

Direct Energy

John, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are so glad you decided to give us a try. We appreciate your business! -Jane

Original review: March 18, 2017

I decided to use Direct Energy for the convenience of it. I've been with them for quite some time and it's fine. I've had lower bills and the heating seems a little stronger. Some of my neighbors have asked me about the system and what I thought of it and I recommended it.

Direct Energy

Thank you for recommending us to your daughter, Lydia. We are so pleased to hear that you are able to keep the bill at an affordable price while being with us. That is awesome! We hope you never hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: March 17, 2017

We used Consumers for gas before but they were ridiculous. My husband then signed up with Direct Energy because it was cheaper. We were both on fixed incomes and we're senior citizens. Our lifestyle is a lot better after working with them. They're great and my experience with them has been excellent overall. I'm very satisfied and I even told my daughter next door about them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Direct Energy

Inna, thank you for sharing your personal review. We would be happy to assist with questions you have regarding your service or rate. Feel free to message us your account details. We look forward to hearing from you! -Melinda

Original review: March 16, 2017

The representatives were always very professional and polite. I was able to get a good price. The process was easy and didn't take a long time at all. I am planning to call and try to get a better price for my parents.

Direct Energy

Thank you, Sandra! We are so glad that you have seen a decrease in your bill while being with us. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and family also! Have a good day! -Jane

Original review: March 16, 2017

My bill's going down a little bit since I had the service, and I had a good experience working with the team members at Direct Energy. I would recommend them.

Direct Energy

Thank you for the review, Theresa. We are happy to hear that your bill has been lower since signing up with one of our rates. We appreciate your business. -Jane

Original review: March 15, 2017

My experience with Direct Energy seems to be okay. I chose them because their rate was cheaper and also, this month's bill was lower. Working with them has been fine.

Direct Energy

Hi, Terri! Thank you for taking the time to provide your review! Please let us know if we may assist you with any questions in the future. Have a great day! -Paige

Original review: March 14, 2017

Direct Energy's rates are cheaper so I decided to go with them. In addition, their reps were pleasant. So far, my experience with Direct Energy has been good.

Direct Energy

Thank you for your review, Marguerite. We are pleased to hear you are satisfied with service and are happy to help with any questions in the future. Have a great day! -Elle

Original review: March 12, 2017

We’ve got the option here in New Jersey that we could take an outsider for delivery. Also, Direct Energy's rate was better than our original. It's on freeze for a year. My gas bill is lower because of that. Once I signed the paperwork, everything's okay. When I do my bills, I'll check to see if it's time to renew the contract and if the price is still good, because when the contract expires, the price would go back to what it normally should be, at a higher rate. But right now, I'm satisfied with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy

Thank you for the rating, Frank. We would be happy to review your account if you have questions about the current rate. Feel free to send us a message with your account number. Thank you, -Melinda

Original review: March 11, 2017

Direct Energy’s price was cheaper compared to other electricity or natural gas providers. I spoke to them when I was making the change a few times and they were nice. They explained everything to me and gave me what I wanted. But I already switched. I hope they lower the price again.

Direct Energy

Omar, thank you for sharing your feedback. Customer feedback is very important to us. We appreciate your business. Have a good day! -Jane

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have been a customer of Direct Energy for three years. The only thing I don't like is I got two separate bills and I want to get only one bill. One for Direct Energy and one for Public Service, and sometimes I forgot to pay one. Then they call me when I am late with the bill. But it has been fine. They gave me a new promotion and I'll stick with them at least for one year.

Direct Energy

Hi, John! So happy to hear that you are satisfied with our service. Have a wonderful day! - Payton

Original review: March 9, 2017

I have used another electric/natural gas company in the past. The service provided by the previous company and Direct Energy is around the same. Still, monetarily speaking, Direct Energy offered the best deal for me so I chose them. I'm satisfied with them.

Direct Energy

Hi, Cheryl! We love to hear that you are happy with our service and recommending us to others. Thank you so much and have a terrific day! - Payton

Original review: March 8, 2017

I've been with Direct Energy for almost two years. I first heard about them through PSE&G and their switch program for lower rate. An agent started coming around to the house and changing people over. They came, changed us over, and gave us a cheaper rate. They said if we stay with Direct Energy for three years, they'd give us a free thermostat.

Our service with Direct Energy is good and the bill rate is a lot cheaper. They came to the house and it was good. They were polite and courteous, told me exactly what they were going to do, as well as told me what my rate was going to be and how long it was going to be fixed for. They explained everything, the rate increase, rate hikes, and the lows, as well as the merchandise that they offer if we all keep the program, or if we don't keep the program, and it worked out really well. I already recommended them to people, for if they want to get a free thermostat, want to purchase one, or want a cheaper rate in their next bill. It's a really good program.

Direct Energy

Thank you for sharing your personal experience, Catherine. We love hearing from our long term loyal customers. Thank you for your business! We hope you have a good day! -Melinda

Original review: March 7, 2017

I've had Direct Energy ever since the time they still go by another name. Their rates were better and I noticed that my bill has come down a lot since I used them. When I talked to some of my friends, they still have JCP&L now and some of them have small houses than I do and they have higher bills. Also, their team has all been very nice and helpful. It's always been a very good experience and I've never had any problems with them.

Direct Energy

Hi, Richard! We are glad to hear that you are saving money with our plan and happy with our service. Hope you have a great day! - Payton

Original review: March 6, 2017

Having Direct Energy is saving me a little money. I have not had any issues with them and I’m happy with their service.

Direct Energy

Hi George! Thank you for the feedback. We are so glad you decided to give us a try. Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: March 5, 2017

Direct Energy called me and they indicated that the cost would be cheaper than JCP&L. Then they're saying some cost benefits. I went with them and I had no issue with them.

Direct Energy

Hi John! Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are so pleased to hear you are able to compare and see a savings being with us. We hope you have a fantastic day! -Jane

Original review: March 4, 2017

I've been happy with the billing since I signed up with Direct Energy. I compare the bills always with what it would have been if I were getting the cost from PSE&G and for the most part, Direct Energy is much cheaper.

Direct Energy

Hi, Jesse! We're glad to hear that you are pleased with our service. Have a great day! - Payton

Original review: March 3, 2017

I made a rate comparison and found that Direct Energy's rate was reasonable so I went with them. They were less costly than PSE&G, however, it was almost even last year. I didn't switch though to PSE&G though as Direct was right in the same ballpark. So far, I haven't had any service interruptions. Also, I dealt with Direct's staff on the phone recently but everything was very professional. On the whole, Direct Energy has good service and it's been a positive experience.

Direct Energy

Bernadette, thank you for the review. We are so happy to have you as our customer. Please feel free to reach out if you need anything. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: March 2, 2017

I've had Direct Energy for a long time and they are good. There was a man that came to the door who said he was from Hawaii and that's how I got signed up with them.

Direct Energy

Hi John! It's always good to hear that you're happy with our service and would recommend us to others. Thanks so much and have a good day! -Payton

Original review: March 1, 2017

I've been with Direct Energy for a few years now. I get my bills, pay them, and I haven’t had any problems with them. Every couple of years, they send me the literature on it and I read it, and see if I want to change or I want to continue with them. So far, I have no complaints and I'd recommend them.

Resolution In Progress

Direct Energy

Lenore, we would like to review your account details further with you and address your concerns. Please message us your account number and full address. We look forward to speaking with you. Thank you, -Melinda

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

When I first started with them, I paid a considerable amount of money compared to with Consumers but in more recent years it hasn't been as much. You don't know if they're going to go up or not. Since I have had the initial good experience, I went with them again. I wasn't as satisfied the second but I didn't say this much as time went on. Then I renewed this year, I called and I had to do some checking. When I called back, they quoted me a different and a higher price than they had given me originally. I was just disappointed that it went up in just a couple of days from what they had quoted me before. It made me hesitate. I wasn't sure I was gonna go ahead and do it with them this year or not.

Resolution In Progress

Direct Energy

Rob, we are sorry to hear that you switched to another provider. We have sent your feedback to our resolution team so they can review this further. Please message us with any other questions you have regarding this. Thank you, Melinda

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I had contacted Direct Energy back in December when I found out that the other companies in our city were offering rebates to their customers. So I asked and Direct Energy said they don't offer rebates. So when I was preparing my move I called to put a cancellation order through for our Electricity and Natural Gas, as I went with a company that actually cares about their customers. Only to find out that Direct Energy would be charging me a fee for cancelling both my Electricity and Natural Gas. Nice way to treat customers. Don't offer rebates to help out then charge when someone wants to leave only to have the customer service agent offer incentives to keep me as a customer. Very nice service NOT.

Direct Energy

We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed being with us, Christopher. Thank you for choosing Direct Energy. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. All the best, -Melinda

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I’ve heard that Direct Energy is good compared to other companies. I've been using them for about three months and everything's been good from what I was told. There have not been any hidden fees so I like that.

Factual basis uncertain

Their marketing literature said they guaranteed a rate lower than People Gas (the delivery gas standard) and I find out they were 9 cents higher for 12 months. Then apparently my contract lapsed and instead of reaching out to me, they pushed the therm rate from 43.9 cents to 54.9 cents to 61.9 cents in the middle of winter, causing my monthly $80 gas bill to soar to $350!!! I called their customer service and they said it was not their problem and that I was on a variable rate -- I asked to adjust the rate to a fixed rate and they demanded a 12 month agreement and offered me credit in the form of a gift card only at the END of the new 12 month period.

Do NOT be swayed by any of their offers -- they are not affordable and their customer service is a joke - I don't think they hire more than 1 or 2 people and it probably is just to deal with angry customers like me, since People's Gas is the real customer service and defacto delivery of gas in Chicago. I am stuck with $350 of unaffordable gas service thanks to their shady tactics that jacked up my therm rate by 50% in 2 months! Stay away from them -- they are a ripoff.

Factual basis uncertain

I was practically force to sign with them. Representative wouldn't leave my apartment without a sign contract, after telling him a thousand times that I was not interested. I freak out because I have a baby at home and him simply would not leave. He offer me a lower bill if I sign and I wouldn't not buy but well I sign. I just wanted him out of my apartment. The bill was higher and sometimes ridiculous high. So after calling them many time I decided to go back to my regular provider. So now they send me a bill for 198 dollar for breaking the contract that they did not honor with a higher bill than they originally offer. They're now harassing me to get payment on that bill. I need help. This thieves cannot go around forcing people to sign a contract that is just beneficial for them. I started with them in 3/29/2016 you can see the variation in the bill since then and I went back to my regular company on or around September.

Direct Energy

Valeria, we would be happy to look into why the bill has increased recently. If you would like, message us with your account number and full address. Thanks, -Jane

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I had $102 for my bill this month when I've always been paying $60. During December, I turned on the heaters a few times, but I never knew that it will go so high. From what I’m seeing, it’s going to be some $90 for the next month. Overall, everything is okay. The only thing that’s bad about my experience with Direct Energy is that my billing cycle is going too high and I don’t know why.

Direct Energy

Joshua, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.We look forward to providing you with service for years to come. All the best- Jane

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

There hasn't been a problem with Direct Energy, so that's always a plus. I'm very contented with what I have and I'm not changing even if someone comes to my door. I'd definitely recommend them to somebody else. It's good overall.

Direct Energy

Lauretta, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased to hear all the wonderful things you have said. Customer service is super important to us. Have a wonderful day. Thank you, -Jane

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I've been with Direct Energy for over five years. I was with TXU previously and I didn't like it. I love Direct Energy compared to TXU and their kilowatt rate is cheaper. Direct also does not hide anything, and I know what my bill is. Also, if I need to pay an arrangement, they don't have a problem making it. The Direct Energy team has always been positive and I've never had an issue with them. Since I've been with Direct, every day is less stressful. They are a good electricity company to deal with. They have good customer service and their rates are low.

Direct Energy

Christopher, we would love to look into this with you in more detail. We apologize for any misunderstandings or frustration we have caused. Please message us back with your account number, full address, and phone number.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

We had Direct Energy before in our old house, and then we moved and tried to get them again. They were screwing us around and it was not a very good experience. We were with some other company before where our bill was just ridiculous. It was high that we switched, and Direct Energy had the best rate at that time for what we needed. At first, the service was about the same as the previous company, but most recently, when we moved into our new house, they were pissing me off and it was very frustrating being on the phone with them for six hours. Apparently, they needed a copy of our Social Security number, which I've never heard of in my life. And apparently, whenever we get flagged for something fraudulent, we have to do that to get our account opened. I didn't even want to use them. We tried to go to another company and told Direct Energy to cancel everything, but they didn't, and we ended up having a contract with them somehow.

Direct Energy Company Profile