Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.50/5

Direct Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that services homes and businesses in select states and territories. The company offers online bill pay options and smart home bundles.

Direct Energy Video

Direct Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: June 27, 2020

At the time I moved in, Direct Energy was offering the lowest rate. It was 7 cents per kilowatt for two years. We signed up for another two years but it went up to 10 cents per kilowatt. I'm very pleased with their services. I haven't had any issues with them. However, my daughter thinks they should offer the same low rates to existing customers. She's had Direct Energy for five years and it just keeps going up.

I love the website of Direct Energy. Sometimes, it's hard for me to find exactly what I want but that's probably more me. But, I really like it because I learned that I could go in and I could check my energy use when I wasn't at home and I can check every day what's going on with my energy. 'Cause I live out in the country and I have a water well. So if something happens to my water well and it's ticking on and off and raise my electric bill up, I can be notified fairly quickly.

I only have one complaint and that was because there was a mix-up in renewing my contract. My electric for January was twice. It should have been like $100, $150, and it was 300 and something dollars because my contract didn't renew. I had renewed it, but I had renewed my aunt and not mine. There was a mix-up in the renewal dates. But so far, our experience with Direct Energy has been very good.

Direct Energy response

Good morning, Vickie. We appreciate you being a loyal customer with us since 2016! We hope that you are enjoying the service you are being provided.

We sincerely apologize, but unfortunately, we are unable to change the current rates, because rates depend on the market conditions and we don't have control over it. But don't you worry, we'll be more than glad to take a deeper look at your account and find you the best deal! Please do not hesitate to connect with our Facebook or Twitter team, or you can contact us by phone or through our Live Chat department. We will do our best to satisfy your energy needs. We hope to have the opportunity to be your trusted electricity provider for many years to come! Have an extraordinary day! - Camila / Digital Care

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2020

My mom has Direct Energy and she told me that her light bill was really cheap so I went towards the company as well. When I signed up with them, it was pretty fast. They're pretty much hands-on because they try to get you a plan where it fits you the first time. They found me a plan that it fit me really well and my bill was really cheap. It was good.

But when I had to renew, the person that was in charge that I talked to didn’t really have that much experience in trying to find budgets for me. I had to go onto their page then looked up for a plan that kinda fit me. I had to tell him and he didn't wanna give me the plan so I told him that that was plan that I wanted. But he told me that was based on certain watts. But I insisted that that was the one I wanted. He was trying to fight not to give me that plan because it was cheaper. That experience was the experience that I had recently that I renewed.

My wife called to renew because I was really busy at work at that time. They told her one rate of the light bill and never sent me the contract saying that she said the contract was set up. I called the second time. They then gave me another price on my light bill and I didn’t like that. They then signed me up. I was talking to the lady and she was asking if I wanted to sign up for an insurance that they had on there. I said I didn't wanna be signed up at all. She kept on repeating and repeating. I kept on saying I didn't wanna be a subscriber because they were gonna charge me money every month to be into the insurance. But she didn't care. She kept on doing her policy stuff.

When I checked my bill, they haven't charged me for the insurance but they enrolled me into the auto-pay that I really didn’t know. I got a message from my bank telling me that they withdrew the money without my consent. I told them I didn’t wanna be subscribed in the insurance or with the autopay. But Direct Energy still went ahead and did that. That was the only bad experience. The experience that I have with them now is not as bad although it’s been pretty bad these couple of times that I had talked to them. I've had a bad experience with electricity bills.

With the last time that I talked to the lady, if I said no then she didn't have to keep on repeating. I didn't want to do that. They should also try to find me the best option plans that I have payment-wise. Everybody nowadays is trying to save as much money as they can. I’ve talked to good ones and I’ve talked to bad ones. There were times that I've called and had a bad experience. Other days I would call and I have good experience. They told me everything that I wanted.

It was a couple of weeks back that I chatted with someone in their live chat and I told them that they could email me my bill on my home because I had to refinance my house. As soon as I said if they could do that, they sent it to me quickly. I liked that. I had no bad experiences with them. Everything else has been pretty good.

I recommend Direct Energy back and forth. I’ve gotten bills before saying that I’ve gotten money taken off my bill because of my recommendations going towards them. I tell others that this electricity bill’s really good and they go with the company. A couple of months back, my friends got their house and didn't know what electricity bill was really good. I told them Direct Energy is pretty much the best electricity that I’ve ever had. They’ll call you and tell you if anything’s wrong. I was called based on the customer service that I had with them. That’s good because with any other energy company, they don't really care about what you think. They just do whatever they want.

Direct Energy response

Hello Ricardo. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this great review! This feedback it means a lot to us, we are truly sorry for the bad experiences you had with our Customer Care Team, we always strive to provide excellent customer experience and apologize if we missed the mark. Of course, we're glad to know that you had a good experience with our Live Chat Team. We work diligently to improve our customer service because you are the most important thing in the world for us.

Thank you so much for choosing us as your electricity provider and for recommending us with your friends and family. Please make sure to take advantage of our Refer a Friend promotion. Both you and the new customer can earn $50 of credit! Please visit https://www.directenergy.com/faqs/pa/plans-products-services/refer-a-friend. We looking forward to be your electricity provider for many years to come. - Camila / Digital Care

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

The apartment manager gave me Direct Energy's name and number for the area. I was getting an apartment, and it was the first time I was gonna have to pay electricity. I called two people and I went online to look at the other person. Their price is good and makes a lot of sense. And it sounded like they were gonna raise in some kind of way. And then they said, “Go with Direct Energy.” I went online to them and it was clear, you could just understand it online. They were more straightforward about the pricing. I called Direct Energy up and they turned it on, and that was it.

It was an easy process. But I was supposed to get some prize and I didn't know what that was or that it was coming. And so when I had received a package in the mail a few weeks later I was confused and said, “This isn’t mine,” and sent it back, and didn’t know because it wasn’t marked. And then it turned out a coworker also had Direct Energy, and there was something about if you give a friend’s name but it was two days past and you had to do it within 48 hours but it was like the third day. So I missed out on that one because I didn't know about it. It was a little confusing.

Also I didn't know they were gonna charge me $40 on top of my bill when I moved. So when I got my bill it was $70 more. Plus I was trying to do the back pay for the previous apartment, and it was like over 100 total. And I was kinda like what happened? I almost thought that maybe I got charged for both apartments. I had to do some research to see if there was a $37 reconnect fee. I don’t remember them going over that, but I do remember them selling me on a protection plan. And so, here I am, buying this protection plan, and there was a $40 on top of the new protection plan, plus the past bill and the new bill. They could have said something because then I could have asked if I don’t pay all of it at once, how is it gonna affect my bill.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if It had been like $5 or $10 because the protection plan was 5 bucks. But when the fee is 90% what I normally would pay, that’s me paying two months’ worth of electricity and not being aware of it and assuming that if something has gone wrong. But I researched it first. I didn’t just call in, all angry, “What’s this money on my bill?” But it was like, “Oh, there’s a fee. Okay, good to know.” Any time I’ve called in, it’s never been an issue. I spoke with a person because it was my first time and they answered all my questions. So I would recommend.

Direct Energy response

Hello Nicole. We are incredibly grateful that you took the time out to leave us this review. Our company values put customer satisfaction as a top priority and we are committed to our customers. Its customers like you that make our job wonderful. We look forward to serving you again. - Camila / Digital Care

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Direct Energy’s rates have been competitive and I stayed with them because of that but for the last year or so, they have fluctuated to where they have some competitors that I’ve considered changing to. Still, their rates have been more reasonable than some others. My plan is getting ready to end next month and when my plan starts ending, I go and see what Direct Energy currently has and I try to find a competitor that can beat it because I’m always trying to find a lower rate. I usually start shopping a couple of months ahead of time.

Sometimes, I have a struggle seeing everything because sometimes, the plans are not offered online that I’ve discussed with Direct Energy. If they're not offered online, then I’ll call it in and renew it. I prefer to do my information online, however, I found that I can find better rates at times if I call in versus them being visible to me online. Direct Energy usually doesn't offer any service to existing customers though. Maybe if I'm a newcomer, I might have a little bit more incentive.

It was a challenge getting the specs of the type of plan that they didn't have listed online because I’m the one who looks at the rate, like the fees and the taxes. I go into detail of how the money is being paid because I don't like any outstanding or background fees that I’m not aware of, so I look at the detail sheet and sometimes, there’s a challenge of getting those sheets and being able to compare. I would like to make those more accessible. I don't know how they come about having the rates, but since I’m an existing customer, I’m not sure why I would have to call in and get that special rate that's not listed online. It’ll make my research a lot easier.

Sometimes, my summer months hits my budget a lot, which is why I like the control because I may not be able to pay the bill. I’m gonna have to try to figure out how I’m gonna get my bill paid and so, I have to pay a little bit at a time in order to not accumulate fees. It would be nice that we could have an incentive and use it at certain times to just kinda relieve those certain times of the year that can be hard.

Direct Energy response

Hi Liekeshia, we value your loyalty with Direct Energy, We love to help you with your energy needs. We appreciate the time that you are taking to provide us your feedback. Our rates are based on market conditions. If you are up to renew your contract you can check the best plan available in your online account. Or engage with our Live Chat agent from www.directenergy.com. It will be a pleasure to help you, and we look forward to hearing from you! ❄⛄ Happy Holidays! ⛄❄ - Emma

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Direct Energy is way better than the other energy that Pedro got out of Houston called Frontier -- they were the worst ever. We originally had come to Direct Energy and at the same time, we inquired about Frontier. And then Frontier switched our electricity after Direct Energy was our electricity for a while, so we had a $12 bill from Direct Energy. Then suddenly, when we were with Frontier, they disconnected us for $36. They had us waiting for two days to reconnect. It was a misunderstanding but two days was a long time to wait. I suffer from a chronic illness so no matter how much I told them that it was an emergency, they couldn't seem to find out why they weren't connecting the service back. So we were without lights for two days.

For some reason, they thought we had agreed to the service when we had already agreed with Direct Energy because we liked the rate. So when we moved, we decided, "No, we're gonna stick with Direct Energy," because they're so much easier to deal with. With Frontier, everything was over the phone or online. You had to wait until the next day, so it was a bad experience. As with Direct Energy, on the other hand, Pedro said that the guys there were easy to deal with versus the folks over at Frontier, because nobody could explain anything to us there. It was always that they had to escalate it and somebody would call us, but then nobody would. We have been with Direct Energy for a few months, but we still got old bills from the old department that we're trying to clear out.

Direct Energy response

Hi Marisol, we are terribly sorry to hear that your recent experience with service interruption. We appreciate the time that you are taking to leave the great review. Our records indicate that this situation has been resolved, we are glad to have you back! We definitely understand your situation with your chronic illness and we want to make sure that this is not going to happen again, we can send you the critical care form that will help us for future cases. please contact us by phone or you are also welcome to connect with our Live Chat team for assistance at www.directenergy.com/texas, Have an amazing day! - Emma

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I like the flexibility of being able to use a temporary service with Direct Energy. I didn't have to do a full contract just to turn their service on when I was getting the house sold. A lot of other providers want to do a six-month contract. I let the rep I spoke with know that I was getting ready to sell my house and that I was gonna stop service on a certain date. She was very professional and she understood.

Direct Energy response

Hi David, wonderful to know that Direct Energy is helping you to get the best plan for your temporary property. Thank you for taking the time to share your amazing experience with us. We are pleased to be your energy provider. Have a good day! – Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

The reason I visited the site today is to obtain my account number. I couldn’t remember it. Marco have my DE account number, and my service number. (S)he deserves a raise... as high as the service number is long! Thanks, Marco!!

Direct Energy response

Hi Catherine, this is great news and we will be sure to pass this feedback along to the appropriate team for recognition to Marco. Your 5-star are greatly appreciated. We are fortunate to have you as part of our big family. Stay safe! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I was working with Green Mountain. Them and Direct Energy are both good, but Direct Energy is way cheaper. Everything has been really good.

Direct Energy response

Hi Carlos. Thank you so much for this great rating! It is wonderful to know that you have found the best rate that suits your day-to-day energy needs. Remember that if there is anything you need assistance with, we are here for you and we will be more than glad to help you out. Thanks for your trust and loyalty! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I signed on with Direct Energy 23 months ago with promises my rates would be lower and the fees are cheaper but my bills were $30 higher than with my previous provider. When I complained they said "you signed a contract" (basically suck it up we gotcha). Last month they sent a letter saying I had to choose a new plan by October 20. So in an effort to save money during these COVID times with reduced hours and pay I went online to view their plans and none of them worked for me so I switched providers effective October 15. They sent me a letter saying that my contract didn't actually expire till November 30 so they're charging me $300.00!!!! For equipment removal fees and early cancelation.

I called to see what was going on and spoke to Christina. She wasn't helpful so I asked if I could speak to someone else so I was put on hold. At 4:02 the account supervisor Jessie answered. At 4:23 took down my name and number again and put me on hold again until 4:35 and told me, "Too bad. You signed a contract. We're billing you $300.00 for the 45 days." She was very unsympathetic and rude, almost robotic in her responses, spiteful almost. I will make sure everyone in my family (and it's big) knows what they are doing to me during a pandemic. This is I would characterize as inhumane.

Direct Energy response

Hi James, we certainly understand your concern in regards of your Direct Energy Services in Canada. Unfortunately, we're unable to check your account since we only handle customer services for customers within the United States. The best course of action would be to connect with Direct Energy Canada Facebook Team (https://www.facebook.com/DirectEnergyCanada/). This is a team of specialists that is trained in the handling of escalated Home Warranty situations. A team member of this group is going to help you on your behalf. We apologize for not being able to process this request at this time and we appreciate your understanding on our current procedures. - Zoeh / Digital Care

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Ben Franklin said "in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” Add to that, and Direct Energy will continue to harass you until until your dying day. I have tried and tried to get these people to leave us alone. That we are not interested in whatever it is they are selling. I have dealt with pesky solicitors many times in the past and most all will kindly leave you alone. Not Direct Energy. These people are from another planet. I have called their corporate offices to complain, wrote to my state's Attorney General, called my city hall to complain but nothing I do seems to get through to these people.

They claim I am on their do not contact list but that is just a lie. I have seen the complaints about the deceptive selling practices and how people that try to cancel their service are made to jump through a series of hoops that a circus lion would tire of. Short of going to court and getting some kind of restraining order that specifies that they stay at least 50 yards away from my home I have come to the conclusion that there is no solution to Direct Energy. Like cancer. No cure. Because they are a cancer. They give sales of any kind a bad reputation.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon, Hector. We are so sorry for any frustrations these telephone calls may have caused you or your family. Our team would like the chance to help end these unwanted calls. Please feel free to connect with our Facebook or Twitter team, or you can also contact us by phone or through our Live Chat department with the telephone number or numbers you would like to have added to our internal Do Not Call list so we can double-check if the phone numbers were added. Please be advised that the typical time-frame we allow for this process is up to 30 days, but it could be even sooner than this depending on the responses we receive from our Vendors. We partner with several third-party vendors that we use to help promote our business and our service opportunities. We will need to notify every vendor of this addition to our Do Not Call list to ensure no calls are made to you in the future. We understand the inconvenience with the time frame can cause, but in order for us to guarantee that all communication no longer is placed to the desired phone number, we provide the 30-day window. I recommend to add your information to the National Do Not Call Registry, it can be through their website www.DoNotCall.gov or you can call them at 1-888-382-1222. Once again we are deeply sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thanks for the feedback. Best regards. - Sophie / Digital Care

Direct Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Direct Energy is one of the state’s largest electricity providers. Founded in Toronto in 1986, Direct is an international company that also provides consumers - both residential and commercial - with other utilities, including natural gas.

• Legacy: Direct Energy is one of the oldest providers of electricity in Texas, since the company has been around since 1986.

• Selection: Direct Energy offers a good selection of electricity plans, which allows customers to pick a plan that fits their budget and electricity needs.

• Location: Direct Energy is a large company, and they have offices and outposts in more than 30 cities across the state.

• Customer service: Because the company is large and international, many customers must deal with many bureaucratic steps in order to get customer service.

• Consumers: Consumers who are not on a fixed-rate plan or who are renewing their contract may see increases in price from month to month or year to year.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team