Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.53/5

Direct Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that services homes and businesses in select states and territories. The company offers online bill pay options and smart home bundles.

Direct Energy Video
BOTTOM LINE

Direct Energy provides electricity and natural gas for homes and businesses in select locations, as well as resources to help you track and use your energy efficiently.

PROS
  • Compatible with Echo Dot
  • Hassle-free online billing
  • Highly-rated customer service
CONS
  • Unclear rates on website
  • Limited availability

Top Direct Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Direct Energy wasn't as high in cost as the other companies at that time, so I didn't have to pay as many. I signed up for two years in the Fort Bend area, west side of Houston. Their customer service was great, very understanding and helpful. I really appreciate that.

...We used Reliant prior and I prefer Direct Energy over them. Our bills have been way less than when we were with the other provider and I have no complaints. Also, I haven't had to communicate with them a whole lot because I haven't had any issues in regards to it. We've had a great experience.

What is Direct Energy?

Direct Energy is one of North America's top providers of electricity, natural gas and other energy-related products, including water heater rentals and warranties, for both businesses and homes. It offers protection, maintenance and repairs for all its appliances and systems, as well as easy-to-use software that helps track and control energy usage.

Direct Energy is a Texas-based company and serves a large population in Houston and Dallas. Not only does it give you the tools you need to be energy-savvy — it also prioritizes environmental sustainability and donates to various outreach organizations in the community, including Texas Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network.

Direct Energy plans

Buying energy can be a confusing process, but Direct Energy can help simplify electricity and natural gas purchases. The company offers contracts ranging from 12 to 36 months. On its website you’ll find available natural gas and electricity-based energy plans, with four electricity options you can customize:

• Fixed-rate plan: This plan creates a consistent bill based on a customized contract and offers protection from changes in energy market prices. Your price will stay the same for the duration of your agreement.
  • Variable-rate plan: This plan doesn’t offer a set rate or contract term. Instead, it’s based on a month-to-month basis. You can cancel your service at any time, but your rates will fluctuate with the market.
  • Smart home offers: This electricity plan is bundled with smart home devices like the Echo Dot.
  • Free electricity plan: This is a time-of-use plan that offers some free electricity depending on your daily and weekly energy usage.

For natural gas, Direct Energy offers only a fixed-rate plan in some locations.

Direct Energy rates

Direct Energy provides competitive electricity and natural gas prices in its service area. Although its rates constantly fluctuate due to the nature of the energy market, its electricity costs seem to settle around $0.109/kWh for the 36-month plan and $0.118/kWh for the lower-tier 12-month plan. All its electric and natural gas plans come with a $4.95 base charge.

Direct Energy FAQ

Does Direct Energy offer month-to-month plans?
Yes, it offers variable rate plans for electricity (but not for natural gas).
Does Direct Energy offer natural gas plans?
Yes, Direct Energy offers fixed-rate natural gas plans in select states.
Where is Direct Energy available?
It’s available in 15 U.S. locations — Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, and Washington, D.C. — as well as three in Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario.
Can I pay my Direct Energy bill online?
Yes, you can manage your account online and pay your bill through the easy-to-use website.

Is Direct Energy legit?

Direct Energy is a legitimate energy provider that supplies over 6 million homes in the U.S. and Canada with natural gas and electricity. Its award-winning service is likely to meet your energy needs, and its competitive rates and upfront pricing make it worth considering if you’re looking for a new provider.

Direct Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Direct Energy's customer service has always been great and that's important. But when we were enrolling, there was this huge misunderstanding. There were two different companies involved, Direct and Gexa. Initially, Gexa ended up taking the order because at the time, we were service shopping and Gexa had connected first. When I found out that it was Gexa that was the provider, I called both companies because we wanted Direct and not Gexa. There was this long conversation and Gexa was supposed to do whatever they were supposed to do. And Direct was doing whatever they were doing to get the services from them.

Then, I didn't know who did what or what happened, but the good part about it was everybody that I talked to was more than willing to help and figure out what was going on. However, I found out that Direct hadn't put the order in properly for the initial request for them to take the services from Gexa, so it didn't go through with the TXU people over here, the people who actually process the whole thing. And that was the reason why the switch didn't happen right when it was supposed to and Gexa had disconnected services.

We lost services completely from 4 o'clock in the afternoon and it didn't get turned back on until 11:00 the next morning. And we have four children, so it was not fun. We have a six-month-old baby and she had to spend the night at my brother's house. That was totally traumatizing but everything after that, service-wise, has been fine. And I know that Direct didn't do it on purpose. Plus, they ended up fixing it. But it took them a while to figure out what the issue was and that was because I was pushing and pushing.

Also, the one thing that I noticed that was really a pain during that time was the fact that there's a number that you call. Then, Direct Energy has another company, under the same umbrella but a different name, depending on what part of the state that you're in, and the main number that you call into will direct you to the other company sometimes. But they can't do anything for you down here. So maybe they should tell the employees which number to give out or who to transfer you to because they were jacking that up every time and they kept sending me to the wrong people. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for sharing a bit of your experience, we are very sorry that you had to go through it and we are glad to know that in the end, although with setbacks, everything could be solved. Thank you very much for choosing us as your trusted supplier, we greatly appreciate that you gave us the opportunity and we will continue to provide you with the best service because you deserve it. We care for you and we will be more than glad to do anything needed to enhance your experience with us, so please feel free to contact us anytime you might need us. We wish you and your family the best and Happy Holidays! - Sophie / Digital Care

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

At first, I went with Direct Energy through a referral of a friend. Then I had moved many times but I always got them. It was because their prices were good. Also, they've always had an easy website to go into and make a payment and make changes. Then They've always had really good service. And then their renewal process is very easy. I left them one time for TXU and it wasn't the same for me, so I came back.

Every year, Direct Energy advanced. They adapt to the changes. They went from free nights and then free weekends. Their plans are competitive. Their website keeps getting better. Their service is exceptional. Then what I really liked this year that really surprised me is that they reached out to me and gave me a lower price because of how COVID was affecting all of us and it didn't extend my contract. It's the same price all year long. It equals out the same thing but I don't have to worry about bills high in December and low in the winter. I am extremely satisfied with Direct Energy and I don't see myself leaving for a long time.

Direct Energy response
    Hi Genesis, We appreciate your trust in all the places that you are moving to. Glad to be able to help you with your energy needs during those changes. We are pleased to know that our web site is making your life easy and saving time.

Thank you very much for this important comment about our team, one of our main objectives is to provide our customers with the finest experience ever. We want every experience to be “five stars”, especially during this difficult time. It means so much when our best customers share their experiences. Have a good day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I was in an apartment but I bought a house. When I transferred, I told Direct Energy that I wanted the service on a specific day. Even though my lease hadn't ended yet at the apartment, I wanted to move it already so I can get moving started. So they scheduled the cancellation but they never connected it at the house. They said they would have to wait for the people that were connecting and I asked them why they didn’t tell me that. They said that I was gonna have to wait till Friday. They did connect it on Friday but I already had three days without power and I have a kid and she was in online school. I had to accommodate for what they did and they just gave me $100 credit. I told them that I didn’t care if they gave it to me or not. The point was that I didn’t have power at the apartment or the house. And I didn’t have internet and AC.

Aside from that, the guy was telling me about a protection plan when I moved but I told him I didn’t want it. I never gave him permission to add it but he did. He said it was $11 so that means my payment was $11 more than it should have been. I already paid and he said he’s gonna take it off but I haven't called back to verify. But as far as pricing, it has been good. I got the free nights and it’s 12 hours free. That’s been working out for me although I haven’t had my house in the summer so I’m not sure how it goes. There might be people that do better than me but I can afford it if something is good. Because of that whole moving experience though, if that's what happens every time someone moves, I wouldn't recommend it.

Direct Energy response

Hi Doreen, your review is very concerning to us. We are sad to hear that you didn’t have the best experience during the transfer of service. You deserve better. Once again I apologize if your experience was not a good one. Have a good day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I found Direct Energy was lower priced at powertochoose.org. I have a more in-depth understanding of the overall electric market in the Houston area, and understand how the retail energy providers work and such. Simply the function of sending a bill is all they do. They buy their energy from wherever they want, and then they just send me a bill. Even though they're an electric provider, they have zero impact whether my electricity is on or off at my home. Most consumers wouldn't understand that. I understand it because I work for the company that does turn on the lights. My company, if the power goes out, it's 100% my company's responsibility and 0% Direct Energy's.

Most people don't understand how they're operating in the market. All they do is my company tells them how much energy I use at my home and then they take that, multiply it times the rate I agreed upon with them and send me a bill or take the money directly out of my account. Pretty much, Direct Energy or any other company, as long as they can calculate volume times rate and send the bills, then that's all I need them to do. Direct Energy has met absolutely 100% expectation of what they should do. As long as they did their job, they did perfect.

Direct Energy response

Hi Russell, your story is incredible; thank you for sharing that with us. We appreciate your kind words! We strive to give customers a hands-on experience when it comes to customer service and is glad, we've lived up to your expectations. We like to stay on top of the best rates to help you with your energy needs. Have a good day!- Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: June 27, 2020

At the time I moved in, Direct Energy was offering the lowest rate. It was 7 cents per kilowatt for two years. We signed up for another two years but it went up to 10 cents per kilowatt. I'm very pleased with their services. I haven't had any issues with them. However, my daughter thinks they should offer the same low rates to existing customers. She's had Direct Energy for five years and it just keeps going up.

I love the website of Direct Energy. Sometimes, it's hard for me to find exactly what I want but that's probably more me. But, I really like it because I learned that I could go in and I could check my energy use when I wasn't at home and I can check every day what's going on with my energy. 'Cause I live out in the country and I have a water well. So if something happens to my water well and it's ticking on and off and raise my electric bill up, I can be notified fairly quickly.

I only have one complaint and that was because there was a mix-up in renewing my contract. My electric for January was twice. It should have been like $100, $150, and it was 300 and something dollars because my contract didn't renew. I had renewed it, but I had renewed my aunt and not mine. There was a mix-up in the renewal dates. But so far, our experience with Direct Energy has been very good.

Direct Energy response

Good morning, Vickie. We appreciate you being a loyal customer with us since 2016! We hope that you are enjoying the service you are being provided.

We sincerely apologize, but unfortunately, we are unable to change the current rates, because rates depend on the market conditions and we don't have control over it. But don't you worry, we'll be more than glad to take a deeper look at your account and find you the best deal! Please do not hesitate to connect with our Facebook or Twitter team, or you can contact us by phone or through our Live Chat department. We will do our best to satisfy your energy needs. We hope to have the opportunity to be your trusted electricity provider for many years to come! Have an extraordinary day! - Camila / Digital Care

Original review: March 28, 2021

I needed electricity to get into my apartment. I was in a rush and I ended up with Direct Energy. Everything's fine.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for choosing us as your energy provider, Anthony. We are honored to have you in our big family. Have an amazing day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: March 27, 2021

Every year, I go online and find the company with the best rate with the bounce kilowatts I need per month versus customer reviews. This time, I chose Direct Energy and have been with them for a month and a half now.

Direct Energy response

Welcome to Direct Energy, James. It is a big pleasure to help you with the care of your energy. Glad to know that you found the best rate that can suit to fit your energy needs. Have a great day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: March 26, 2021

My eyesight is not that great and I don't see a lot of things on there. That's why I usually just call Direct Energy. When I had the other energy company, I could call them and they could put I'm paying with an electronic check. And then, it would go through that and they would get it and it would go on my payment. But I tried to call and pay my Direct Energy payment on the line and it was so hard. I told the guy, he said, "I think you playing about your sight." "I wish I was playing about my sight." My right eye is giving me problems. He told me, "Well, just send it in the mail." I said, "Well, what if it doesn't get there in time?" So, I have to find some way to get my payment in there because I don't see well. My wife is on an assignment in Kansas. That's why she's not here to put it on there.

Other than that, it was $50-something for a bill. The check is for 60. Sometimes I would pay a bit more just in case you see it's over. I do that on purpose a lot. TXU bills were always $100, $200, $300, maybe $400 a month. And this is coming in. My wife is also happy with it because she said, "Well, that extra money you're spending, we can pay this, that, and the other off." It's great and she's right. It sounds like it's a great deal for me.

Direct Energy response

Hi Arnold, I wish you didn't have to go through this. Glad to know that you were able to send the payment and the additional money that you paid will be used for your next bill. We also have the option for autopay whenever you want, you can contact us and we can definitely set up this great option for you. We believe in transparency and we work hard to keep our prices affordable, so we are really happy that came across. Thank you for the positive words and your trust! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: March 25, 2021

When I first signed up with Direct Energy, my bill was sent to the wrong address in Dallas. I live four hours from Dallas. They still sent me the bill and charged my account for it. No one was able to change it. But it was only $20 and I'm not worried about it. Other than that, Direct Energy has been very good and I like them. I probably won't change.

Direct Energy response

Hi Eric, we sincerely apologize as it is our aim to be as transparent with customers as possible regarding their accounts. We would like the opportunity to investigate this further and add the correct mailing address, please send us a private message. It will be a pleasure to help you. We appreciate that you are taking the time to provide us your feedback. Have a good day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: March 23, 2021

Direct Energy offered the best rate. Also, they're better than other people. My bill wasn't really that high and it hadn't changed, but I liked what they charged me.

Direct Energy response

Hi Morgan, we are so grateful for your positive feedback. Our team will be happy to read what you wrote. Glad to know that you got the best plan that can suit to fit your energy needs. Here our link https://www.directenergy.com/learning-center/25-energy-efficiency-tips to check our save energy tips that will help you to reduce the usage during summer/winter. Have a great day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Direct Energy Company Information