toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

They are the best supplier I ever had!!! They helped lower my bills and I also received the best thermostat ever!!! I see that a lot of people are unsatisfied with their service but reading the complaints... you people did not read or you did some online stuff... The young lady I worked with Mrs. ** was great and she was a huge help and very smart!!! READ STUFF CORRECTLY!!!

Direct Energy saved my business $$. Every winter and summer my utility bills would go up and my rate would fluctuate but I had no clue what was going on, until a very nice Direct Energy representative came in and helped explain to me what was going on. It's been over a year now and I saved $523 this year with Direct Energy supplying my business. I was skeptical at first but everything the representative said happened! It took 1-2 months. I got my same utility bill with Direct Energy on it and it made my utility not fluctuate as much! After 11 months I got a phone call, email and letter in the mail to renew at a new fixed rate. I've read the bad reviews but I figured if there isn't a cancellation fee then why not try it and I'm happy with what I've experienced! Not to mention a rep came in every 6 months to see how I was doing. They've improved their customer service and I have to say I'm happy they helped me!

I'd like to give a warning to anyone approached by a Direct Energy salesperson. Unfortunately, if your experience is like mine you won't be able to identify them as a Direct Energy representative and they won't even tell you who they work with. In fact, they'll make it seem as if they work for your local utility company and attempt to get you to sign their contract. This is exactly what happened to me. After I realized I was lied to, not only about who I was speaking with but about the fees I was going to be charged, attempting to cancel the service has caused me a serious headache. I had to make multiple calls to my utility provider and again contact Direct Energy. Months later once I thought my unpleasant ordeal with Direct Energy was over I received a bill from a debt collector for $99. Direct Energy didn't provide me with any services or utilities and yet is still attempting to charge me $99.

When I purchased my 2 furnace 2 electronic air cleaner combo, my maintenance agreement was 2/year cleaning. Over the years it has morphed into 1/year with an extra charge to clean the EAC. I will not purchase from Dial One nor Direct Energy service agreement next time.

In April, I agreed to a payment arrangement as I was unable to pay my bill in full at the time. Months later, I discovered that my enrollment in the averaged billing program had ended at that time. As I live in Texas and have gas heating, for me, averaged billing means paying more than I actually owe in winter and receiving benefit of that to help lower my bills in summer as they would obviously be much higher. Since April and through the summer, I can see no indication or accounting for the money I paid in through the winter months of 2015-16. Regardless of whether my enrollment ended or not, I should have had a credit balance at that time.

As the figures on the bill have no explanation for their unequivocal meaning nor detailed justification of their calculation shown, I am unable to determine how much I have been paying/receiving on any month while enrolled in averaged billing or the total balance on any given month. The purpose of a statement is to support/explain/justify the amount of a bill being submitted for payment. Direct Energy's "statements" do none of those things but rather display seemingly unrelated numbers with no justification and labeled arbitrarily...and then a total due for which I can find no way of relating to the numbers that precede it.

I am fairly certain that I have paid money and that has been removed from my account's reckoning since my enrollment ended, but having spent hours reviewing the bills, I am still unable to find a way of determining what I paid toward the account in advance or any evidence of it's application to recent billed amounts. I have spoken with customer service twice asking for a knowledgeable explanation of each of the lines under "Average Billing Program" (it's meaning and calculation) and for a dedicated representative to investigate, audit and relay the account entries for my prior month's activity in ABP, only succeeding in having my concern understood the second time on Thursday of last week by an agent who was, he finally admitted, unable to explain the numbers and promised to return my call in an hour and/or have another more knowledgeable agent do so that afternoon.

I received no return call from him or anyone else and am now facing disconnection tomorrow or Tuesday (he extended my termination date but was equivocal as to when that date is, saying the sooner I pay on Monday the better?? ). I am extremely frustrated. I have no choice but to jump through hoops and meet ultimatums yet when I need information and service I get half attention and no resolution at best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Direct Energy

Good Morning! Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you did not have the best experience with us recently. Our goal is to provide the best possible service to all of our customers always, and these reviews are helpful in making sure we can do that. According to our records this account was canceled with no early cancel fee. I have messaged you with more details regarding this account. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. All the best, - Jane

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

Eighteen months ago, my elderly parent was persuaded to change the gas supplier without my knowledge and by the time I found out it was too late. A letter from Direct Energy, dated October 7th 2016, stated it's time to renew. On November 4th, I found a different supplier and signed them up with them. On November 7th I called Direct Energy to try and find out if I had switched too soon and if I would be penalized. I was told, after being put on hold a couple of times, that because of the date of the letter they sent and being renewal time, I would not incur an early termination fee.

The end of the contract is supposedly in December (the paperworks I have has no apparent dates on them). I was then told I needed to cancel my service so I did. In dealing with them everything was vague. I wanted some type of written verification that I would not be charged an early termination fee, but they said they couldn't. I am not happy with this supplier. I wouldn't mind hearing a response from Direct Energy.

Direct Energy

Hi Diane, we would like to apologize for the kind of experience you have had with us so far. Our goal is to provide the best service possible to all of our customers, and if we fell short we want to correct it. Would you please message us with your account information so we may look into this with you? All the best, -Jane

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

I received an outrageous energy bill and assumed it was because of the unusually hot summer/fall we experienced in Rochester, NY. After reviewing my bill in more detail, I discovered that the electric supply company listed did not sound familiar and that my electric supply cost was more than my total gas and electric consumption cost. I phoned Direct Energy (the company listed on May bill) and found out (after I prodded quite a bit) that they bought Energetix, the original company I contracted with.

The representative told me that my agreement changed to a variable rate as of April of 2016!!! So, I have been overpaying by nearly 3x the cost of my local Rochester Gas & Electric rate and nearly double my fixed rate. The only option the representative gave me was to offer me a 15 month contract at a lower rate, but still more than my local energy company as well as many others I called. I feel duped and robbed. I do not feel like this change was communicated properly in order for me to make an informed decision. Stay far, far away from Direct Energy. I feel sick about this.

Direct Energy

Hi Riley! We apologize for the kind of experience you have had with us. We would like to look further into this for you if possible. Would you please private message us with your account number, address, and phone number? Thank you! -Jane

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

A Direct Energy sales representative showed up on our door claiming that Direct Energy was teaming up with encore and were offering lower rates that epcor was providing, which they absolutely are not. We signed up on this principle alone and a part of the deal was a nest thermostat which we were told about with the fees and everything. However, epcor phoned us to ensure we wanted to cancel our subscription with them, which threw up the red flags alerting us that the representative had lied to us. We received the nest and did not open it so we could return it to Direct Energy.

Now I phoned DE and they said there's nothing they could do in the form of waiving the fee and couldn't guarantee a waiver even if we did send it back. They wouldn't even extend our bill as we already cancelled, so now as a low income young couple with a 1.5 year old who is already struggling are stuck with a 278$ bill for 12 days of service. Absolutely ridiculous. Direct Energy is a door to door scam company.

Direct Energy

Hi Julia, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have privately messaged you so we may get additional information needed to investigate this more. All the best,- Jane.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

I was bombarded at my front door to sign up for Direct Energy. The man who was at my door would not allow me to say no even after I asked him to leave several times. After signing whatever form he asked me to sign, I immediately proceeded to cancel my subscription. I did this within 3 business days of signing up for Direct Energy, which meant I would not be charged with a cancellation fee. However, now a month later than this entire ordeal, I just received a bill to pay Direct Energy $99. I was ripped off on my cancellation fee.

Direct Energy

Hi Dennis! We are sorry to hear you have had this kind of experience so far. We would love to look further into this for you. Would you please message us with your account number, phone number, and address so we may assist you further today? Thank you, Jane

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

Direct Energy! How and why Direct Energy became my distributor of gas and electric I have no idea. What I do understand is the fact that they have charged 4 times the local rate of the Rochester Gas and Electric supply charge. This manifests to more than doubling our utility bills just by using their services. When I called DE I was told I was on a variable rate and if wanted to sign up for fixed rate my charges could be reduced significantly (around 40%). Why was I not given that rate when somehow DE became my distributor. That being said they cannot come close the 75% savings I will receive from the local gas and electric supplier. I would advise anyone thinking about Direct Energy to take a very hard look at their high rates and shop the market and be very careful to not make a quick decision.

Direct Energy

Hi Noelle, we sincerely apologize for the experience. We would like to work to get this resolved for you. Please check your private messages for follow up on this issue. Thank you, Eris.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

I have used Direct Energy Power before. So when moving into my new place September 30th 2016 I decided to check out direct energy again and was looking into month to month billing and discovered I would have to wait on month to month billing until next month. With moving expenses, rent & deposit just wouldn't work out in my budget this month seeing as I am on a fixed income with only my disability check as my income therefore opted in pay as you go. I called on first of October to try and enroll and was told there was still an active account and I couldn't open one until account was inactive.

I've waited for the account to fall in the negative and account shut off until Thursday 10/07/2016 and was told then to fax in a copy of my lease and picture ID and it would take up to 48 hours to clear up account. And so my husband and I have temporarily been moved into my daughter in law's home with her husband and their two children while this situation can be resolved. I had waited until Monday 10/10/2016 and called again in hopes that there was resolution to the problem. I spoke with Andrew who after looking over notes on computer and after doing so told me to call back at about 1 pm and I asked him then "would I have power that night" and he reassured me "yes". I called back at 1 pm only to have an employee (Ashley) help me. I guess not really help me as we couldn't get past my name.

I then asked for a supervisor and was made to feel like I was the incompetent one. Then I was placed on hold after telling her at least twice I was on a limited minute phone and she then reassured me that "no worries" they would call me back if we were disconnected. I explained it to her twice. She wouldn't be able to contact me if she used all my minutes up putting me on hold.

By the end of my experience with Ashley I was hung up on. I called back, got what sounded like same employee and I then asked to please be transferred to supervisor. Dan the floor manager then got on telephone with me. Much more pleasant than other employees but, he at one point asked if I could get in touch with old tenant/account holder and just ask her to call and cancel account??? What kind of professionalism is that? I then was told he would send it "escalated" to the president of the company which takes up to 72 hours for response. Again??? I don't get it.

Another attempt made before 5 pm to then tell me my fax was never received when I was already told it was attached to the notes with my order ESIID ** and that was what the 48 hours was based on that fax. Duh??? (My head is spinning at this point.) Here I am again at my daughter in laws apt and I am distraught at the unprofessionalism on all parts of service. I will try back again tomorrow in hopes that something has been resolved. Only because I have already faxed my info to them is why I'm sticking to them. I do not have a car so getting back and forth to a fax machine is inconvenient. You as a company should really look into customer service training through JW Marriott hotels training. Excellent service training. I was voted nationwide for service excellence throughout their hotels in 2007 so I understand customer service but, there is no excuse for the way this is being handled.

We had utilized Direct Energy for years when I realized in the past 5-7 yrs how they actually went about suckering you into different plans. A salesperson comes to the door and asks how your service is and inquires as to what colour bill you have. At this time they mark down your account number and submit information into another type of service. I caught on to this after realizing that somehow I was signed up on a "Budget Plan". After contacting them regarding the matter they informed me they would take me off and not to worry about it. Some time later once again I was put back onto the "Budget Plan" again somehow.

Upon inquiring with them again as what is happening they informed me that I signed up for this. I told them to prove it to me with a signed document. This never happened. This year, 2016 my Family and I were forced out of our home due to a tragic Fire in our hometown. I had cancelled our service thinking of the high possibility of the loss of our home. At this time I called them to find out what the final payout was, which was paid off once and for all. Now today, I receive a bill from this company informing a payment is still required, even though a final payout was issued. In a nutshell: when you ask for a final payout from a Company you would expect that would be the final conclusion.

Direct Energy

Hi Vicky. Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize for the negative experience, and we want to work with you to find out ways you may reduce your use and subsequently your bill. If you would like to please message us your account number we will investigate the matter. We look forward to assisting you further. Sincerely, - Henry

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I have been trying to save on my electric bill for a long time I keep turning things off but yet my usage increases. Along with trying to get ahead I pay a little here and there to avoid having to be bothered. This is so bad that I have even cried. No matter how much I pay in advance my usage goes up and never decreases, they have you do their grunt work with a promise of saving so much on your bill, or you can refer to your friends for a $5.00 credit. I wouldn't do that to my enemy. They can pay for their own advertising or off competitive rates. My daughter just signed up for pre-paid I am waiting to see how that works, but either way I am leaving this company. I am finally out of contract.

Dear Siobhan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We want to make sure that we investigate this matter on your behalf. We have given your information to our Office of the President, and they will be contacting you regarding the matter. We hope to reach a mutual resolution with you in regards to the matter. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns in the meantime.

We look forward to resolving the issue.

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Door to door salesman gave me the spiel, made me think I would be saving money off of my regular service. Wasn't until he finally bullied me into signing up and I got him to leave that I looked at the fine print of the paperwork and saw that it was a significant increase in price. I called to cancel 3 days later, within the window of the cancellation policy to not be charged. I was told my service would be cancelled. A month later I get their paperwork and the Nest device in the mail. Then the bill, which was $100 more than my previous service. Guess what? They hadn't cancelled my service. I'm on hold with them now, but looking at all the reviews above, I have a feeling I won't be getting out of this so easy.

Dear Darresha,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize if there was any confusion regarding your enrollment rate, and we want to make sure that your concerns are addressed. We show that you contacted regarding those concerns on 9/15/16. If you have any further questions or concerns, please message us your account number along with your further questions. We look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

- Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I had a sales lady visit my home and she was very nice by name of Amber **, and explained I would save money on my electric bill by switching to Direct Energy. Explained there would not be any hidden fees and my bill would be lower using their electric. Once I received my bill I was charged by my provider, Direct Energy (hidden fees) and gas. This increased my bill by 75$. The rate they are charging is very high and was not disclosed and they advised rates can go higher. Bad business. Please be mindful. And now they want to charge 200$ for cancellation.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize for your experience as we are always striving for our agents and representatives to be as polite and transparent as possible.

We want to be sure to answer all your questions or concerns. If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

Spent over an hour switching over to Direct Energy. Special offer of a $50 gift card was never explained. I was told to call back after the application process was complete. In the hour long process had to verify 3 different times with no satisfaction regarding the offer. After an hour with three different departments, I just wanted to cancel and be done. Ginger in the customer relation department had a bit of an attitude which sealed the deal. Don't go near Direct Energy. I wish I could give negative stars. What a negative experience.

Hi Rachelle,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Per our records we show that we were able to speak with you regarding your concerns, and we were able to come to a resolution. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. All the best, - Henry

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

Absolutely horrible company. I was harassed by door to door salesmen. Finally caved, then harassed by phone. They called a minimum of three times a day. When I would answer their calls, no one would speak. Very frustrating. I feel very deceived. My electric bill is the highest it has EVER been. I'm writing this review in hopes to save someone else from an outrageous bill.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I have never had such high bills until I, unfortunately, switched to Direct Energy. I found out today, when I called to pay my bill, which was late because I needed to scrape up enough money to pay the $306.77 that I was being charged for electric, but a $29.95 charge because they had to mail out a disconnect notice yesterday... What the heck, $29.95, I can understand if it was a reconnect and had to send someone, but to mail a letter, and that was after I paid a $10 late fee. Direct energy is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with!!!

Hi Mark,

We sincerely apologize for the experience, as we don't want to harass anyone into using our services. Per your phone call on 8/30/16, we show that you were effectively added to our 'Do Not Contact' list. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. All the best, - Henry

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

We had Direct Energy until we found a less expensive energy provider. Since then we've been bombarded with endless phone calls to return to them. This month (August 2016), we got 19 calls and today is August 20. Very unprofessional customer service. Sometimes the caller will argue. I'm ready to file a lawsuit for harassment.

I've been with Direct Energy since 2004, so about 12 years. Recently I've tried to register my account online without any success. I hadn't been receiving any paper notices for years and wondered how much I was being billed for services provided. It was impossible to register online so I finally called and tried to get the equalization plan, where one pays the same amount each month based on averages. The last time they billed me - via automatic payment by credit card - was April. Nothing was taken out in May or June and then in July I suddenly got hit with a $443 bill. I wasn't too pleased and called to cancel with them. What company does this?!? Every month I was billed and then suddenly a lapse for two months and I still couldn't get into their site to register my account and look at my bills.

I was frustrated about not being able to even log in and see my bills, see my invoices and to know what was going on. So I told them I wasn't pleased with their service and was going to cancel and take my business elsewhere. They promised to send my invoices via email but they didn't - just sent a link to the online site which I STILL COULDN'T ACCESS. The same day, on July 11th, I called ENCOR, a local company owned by EPCOR, another local company and requested that they take over my electricity/gas service when my billing cycle is done.

And today I get a letter in the mail from Direct Energy, dated August 7th, saying that if I don't respond within 10 days, they will disconnect my service to this address. WHAT? Obviously this is a form letter - "Dear Occupant or Owner" - but if they cut off my service before the other company takes over I will not be pleased. I wouldn't put it past them, though I've paid up for a full month! Horrible, horrible customer service, not accountable, never saw my bills once I went paperless. Do not choose this company. They are not helpful at all.

Direct Energy

Hi Nicholas. We sincerely apologize if there was any miscommunication on our part. We would love to help you with this concern. Per our records we show that we were able to effectively cancel the enrollments per your request. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. All the best, - Henry

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

My fiance, who is not on my lease for the place I rent, was paid a visit from a man who claims to be with them. He insisted on entering, and before leaving, had her sign a paper stating he was there. Somehow they put it under my name and sent me a letter thanking me for signing up. I did not give permission for my social security number to be released to them and I was not present to sign any confirmation I would be receiving my service through them. I am suing.

Direct Energy

Hi Richard. Thank you for the post. We sincerely apologize for the delay in our response. Per our records we show that we were able to make the appropriate changes to your account and handle your concerns via phone. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, and we will happily answer them. Sincerely, - Henry

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I signed up for electric supply without reading these reviews, big mistake. I signed up online and received a rate confirmation. Contract followed with a higher rate. After 5 phone calls to point out the error the response I received is that someone will call in 5 days, 3 to 5 days, one week or 48 hours. Received no return calls yet. Seems they don't actually have customer service. I will wait til my 12 months is up and then send them a summons to adjust their attitude and get my overcharges and court fees. Is there another way to get the error corrected? Apparently not. I rate them a one because there is nothing lower.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We want to make sure that all your concerns and questions are addressed. If you have any further concerns, please send us your account number, and we will answer your questions. We look forward to hearing from you and providing you with full transparency regarding your questions.

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

They start you out with a lower rate than your supplier then it will double during the summer months when you use electricity the most. Be careful. Mine went from 6.2 to 14.8. They kept raising it during the summer months. My bill which is normally around 300.00 skyrocketed to 500.00. Then they tell you how they are giving you points, it's variable, blah, blah, blah. Then they bring in a guy to keep you around. Offering you another great deal. "Hell no" I told them. Who would trust a company that pulls this crap?

Direct Energy

Hi Jerry. Thank you for the review. We apologize for your experience, and we want to make sure that we address all your concerns. If you are still needing clarification regarding any aspects of your account, please let us know. All the best, - Henry

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I normally carry a balance over but I ALWAYS pay a big chunk of it. My home and business were on the same account so I HAVE to pay. I've been disconnected once in 12 years.... I go with this company and I got shut off 3 times in 12 months and the reps admitted that I should not have been cut off because I had made payments on the account but someone forgot to cancel the disconnect. I filed a complaint with the utilities commission and direct paid me for their "mistake." Really crappy company.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter. We sincerely apologize for the experience, and the behavior of the agent is not how we want our agents to interact with potential customers.

We sent you a message requesting some information regarding the agent interaction. Please let us know if you're able/willing to provide that information.

We look forward to your correspondence and addressing all your concerns.

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: July 30, 2016

I got a random knock on my door from a guy claiming to be a 3rd party representative of my current utility company. They claimed that I got a notice that someone would be coming by to verify some information and reduce rates. Immediately the guy starts showing me official looking cards that said he had the right to be there soliciting me. He then asked to see my bill to get some information off of it. If he was authorized it seems like he'd already know that information. I did not provide it and asked to see his vehicle, which would be from my service provided. He said he was dropped off and that his car wasn't there. I then asked what would happen if I simply didn't show him anything. He then got confrontational and said well you wouldn't be saving money and it's up to me if I wanted to waste money like that. I then went online and found similar reviews of poor behavior from this company. If one of them comes to your door, don't give them anything.

Direct Energy

Hi Regan. Thank you for the post. Per our records we show that we were able to address your concerns regarding the fee. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, and we will happily address them. All the best, - Henry

Original review: July 20, 2016

I signed on with Direct Energy in July of 2015. I received a thermostat from them at that time. I sold my home in June 2016. After this I received a bill from Direct Energy for 200.00, they even turned me over to a collection agency. I spoke with some genius at Direct Energy who told me I have to send the thermostat back to them to not get charged. "Excuse me, new home buyers, I need that thermostat". What a joke. Then they told me I should have waited one more year before selling my home. I have already been paying on this one of a kind thermostat for 1 year. You mean none of that money went to the purchase of the thermostat...

This company should be investigated by the attorney general. Also reviewed by the BBB for pushy sales tactics and no explanation of how valuable their stupid thermostat is. I had one more year on contract to get the solid gold thermostat for free. I should have turned down my job transfer to Florida and stayed in that house in Ohio, or I could break into my ohio home and steal the thermostat... Shame on you, Direct Energy.

Direct Energy

Hi Jade. We sincerely apologize for your experience, as the manner in which the agents conducted themselves is not how Direct Energy desires its agents to behave. We have sent you a message requesting some further information so that we may resolve your concerns and investigate the situation. We look forward to hearing from you. All the best, - Henry

Original review: July 18, 2016

Two months ago some very nice representatives from Direct Energy came to knock my door and they started saying that I will save a lot of money if I "upgrade" my bills. So, I thought why not give it a try if it is going to help me save money. But, I am not the the person who pays for the bills, so I told them that I can't sign anything. Then they asked me whether I was over 18, I said yes and they said that I can sign it if I'm over 18. After I signed it they told me to talk to someone on the phone, pretend that I was the person who pays the bill and say yes to everything. After like a week or so I received letters from a suppliers that I switched my supplier and not "upgraded" it. I started to worry and then I decided to do a bit of research online.

After I found out how bad Direct Energy is, I decided to call and cancel the plan and switch back to my suppliers. But when you call they don't tell you to press 0 to talk to a someone they only say press 1 for English press 2 for Spanish and that was it. Eventually I managed to cancel it. I thought that was it, but Direct Energy representatives came back to knock my door many times over the past few weeks.

Today they came again and I told them that I was not interested and that I canceled the plan already and then they asked me to show them my bills to make sure that everything is right after I canceled. So I did and then they took them and started to write down my info without asking me first. I told them that I was not interested, and I don't want to change my supplier and they kept saying that it is a upgrade required by the government law to do it. I told them that I saw really bad reviews online about their company and one representative started saying things like "do you read reviews when you go to Walmart? You should never trust the internet."

Then she started being rude and I started saying that I want my bills back and I don't want to change anything and then my entire neighborhood came out and started yelling "this is a scam, they will give you two cheap months and then everything will double". Finally they ran saying that they will come back some other day. Does anyone know how to stop them from knocking at my door?

Direct Energy

Hi Rose. We sincerely apologize for your experience, and we want to make sure that we address your concerns. Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding your previous Direct Energy account. All the best, - Henry

Original review: July 18, 2016

We tried Direct Energy for a while, until they raised their prices after an introductory period. We cancelled about 9 months ago. We just received a bill from a collection agency saying Direct Energy submitted us to debt collection for not paying a bill for $99 - A BILL WHICH WE NEVER RECEIVED!!! Apparently they charged us $99 for cancelling and never sent a bill indicating there was any type of charge. There are plenty of other companies out there - stay away from this one.

Direct Energy

Hi Zantha. We sincerely apologize for your experience. Per our records we show that your account was credited that amount cancelling out the bill. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with. All the best, - Henry

Original review: July 14, 2016

Very disappointed. Was charged electricity for an apartment I didn't move into then told it took 2 weeks to remove me from the account so I am being charged for the 2 weeks it took them to update their records. Told me to go to the apartment and have new tenant pay like I am suppose to go to a complete stranger and say pay your utility bill that's in my name because of Direct Energy delay in system update.

Hi Kris,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter.

We definitely do not want to train our agents to behave in this manner. We want to make sure that all your concerns are addressed. We have sent you a private message requesting some information regarding the encounter so that we may investigate this further. Aside from the message, please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Henry, Direct Energy Customer Care

Original review: July 9, 2016

Direct Energy is a big scam. Sales people are pushy, rude, and liars. Refused to leave, threatened to call cops on him, he was still talking when I slammed the door on him.

Direct Energy Company Profile