Call toll free
4.31/5
Based on 625 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Direct Energy gives customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. We make energy work harder for our over four million home and business customers across North America. We compete to earn their business every day. We empower our customers with simple solutions to track, understand, and control the electricity and natural gas they use. We provide the insights they need to make smarter decisions, be more efficient, reduce their energy use, and save money. Visit our website or contact us today to learn more about our products and electricity plans!

1130 Direct Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

We've been with Direct Energy for more than four years. They gave me good rates, but lately, the rates went up and I don’t have a contract to see what kind of rate I got. Nevertheless, I called them two weeks ago since I gotta work on the rate and the interaction I with them was fine.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Direct Energy has the cheapest cost per kilowatt hour and since we started using it, it has been fine. We're satisfied right now with our service.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I joined Direct Energy a year and a half ago and at the time, it was a good deal. I looked at the prices and Direct Energy offered the best prices. The prices were better last year than they were this year but not by much. If I want to go on a fixed plan though, they shouldn’t require it to be a year long. I don't have that much time left on my lease, so with me signing up for a year, it means I'm locked into something that I may never use and have to pay for. They should offer shorter fixed plans. Other than that, I've had good service so far from them.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I switched to Direct Energy because they have better rates and they are more convenient. So far, I've been satisfied with my experience with them.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Direct Energy came across my house and I got their service, but my interaction with them has not been good. I used to get $125 July bills with my previous energy provider, but I've been noticing for a while that my electricity bills have gotten higher.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: July 30, 2018

Direct Energy is reasonable. And we've been with the company going to three years and we don't have any problems so far. Direct is better than my previous provider, and I like their price. Everybody should get Direct Energy.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We used TP&L when they were the only energy provider but their pricing was more expensive than that of Direct Energy where I am charged 10 cents per kWh. And when I first got on to do Direct, we got the weekends free. The customer service team at Direct has been really nice. They know what I need and the answer to all my questions. Also, there has been no interruptions since we used Direct. I get good service.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I heard about Direct Energy through a friend and I liked the rates. The prices are lower than the last provider and the reps have been helpful. I’ve been with them for three years now and the experience has been satisfactory.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Noah, a guy from Direct Energy, knocked on the door and showed me that their rates were lower. I’ve had several providers in the past and service is about the same. It’s steady and reliable but Direct Energy has better rates in my area at the time, so I made the switch. Now, I’m going into my second year with Direct Energy. One time, someone called to let me know that my contract expired and that I was being charged variable rates. They encouraged me to get into another locked rate which was very helpful and I really appreciated that. With the busyness of life, I don't always pay attention to that, so that was a nice touch on Direct Energy’s part. They got me into a much better rate than what I was paying and it helped save some money which is always good.

Original review: July 27, 2018

The service of Direct Energy is excellent. They are very professional. They give me any assistance that I’ve asked for and they’ve been able to help me.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for your great review, Jill! We are happy to hear about your experience with us and look forward to serving you in the future! -Paige

Original review: July 26, 2018

Direct Energy's service has been fine and my bills have been a bit lower. Moreover, my interactions with their team have been good as well.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review, Margaret! We are pleased to have you with us and look forward to continually providing you with excellent service. Enjoy your day! -Elle

Original review: July 25, 2018

I’ve had Direct Energy since I moved on from college in 2014. They had better plans than other gas providers and I’ve had only great experiences with them from seeing power outages and signing up for another contract year. When I called to transfer the services, the rep told me I was no longer under contract. We figured out a contract that would work with what I needed. Direct Energy was very easy to sign up with and resolve any conflicts that might come up. It was worth it and it was hassle-free.

Direct Energy response

Hi Lateia, thanks for your review! We are so glad we've been able to assist you with your energy needs. If you ever have any questions going forward, please let us know. Have a fantastic day! -Adaline

Original review: July 25, 2018

Direct Energy's low percentage made me go with them. It’s pretty good and my bills are okay. I will recommend this company.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Some people from Direct Energy came and because of the rate, we decided to use them. We used Commonwealth Edison before and when it comes to billing and service, they’re the same. Lately, Direct Energy has been more expensive and if their rates are consistently higher, they’re probably gonna lose a number of customers, me included. But I’ve been calling their team about rates to renew and customer service has been good.

Direct Energy response

Hi, Rose. Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with feedback regarding your experience with us. We work hard to provide a great product at a fair price. I definitely understand how important it is to have a low rate and would be happy to review the account with you periodically to see if we can help lower that price point. Please feel free to email me at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com with your utility account number, telephone number, and full service address for assistance. Thank you! -Paige

Original review: July 23, 2018

I love Direct Energy. I love not having to pay $300 electric bills in the summer like I do with my house. And I’ve only had one bill that was $100, and it was just $100 with the first year I was living in the apartment. I keep my thermostat like a 78 year-round but usually, I don't have them over $60. I’m very satisfied with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for the wonderful review, Grace! We are pleased to have you with us and it's great to hear you have seen the cost benefits of having our service! Don't forget that we have a great referral program where you and anyone you refer gets a $50 bill credit. For more information about that program please feel free to reach out to our Social Media Team via Facebook or Twitter. Have a great day! -Adaline

Original review: July 22, 2018

I've been using Direct Energy for six years now and they're good. They call me regularly. They've given me advice or asked me if I want a plan changed, while most businesses would just send one of those common letters and you have to actually look into it and take more action. Direct Energy also seems more active towards getting the customer aware of what changes are coming. Although it's a part of them to get that confirmation so that they can move forward, I still like that type of service. They usually offer incentives too. I've got two so far over the course of using the service which has been useful and something that I would probably use more than anything else I’ve ever received from another company as far as a complimentary or a service above the line. It's been an overall great experience with Direct Energy. They've been quite useful and helpful.

Direct Energy response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, John. We pride ourselves in providing a great customer that our customers continue to enjoy and it's wonderful to hear that it shows. I hope you have a wonderful day! -Paige

Original review: July 21, 2018

Direct Energy has been great and they're less expensive than the other providers. If a company isn’t thorough and is rude over the phone, it’s not worth to save a few dollars for the headaches of having to deal with certain customer service reps. But Direct Energy's customer service has been good. Also, you're gonna save a few bucks with Direct Energy, which is the most important part.

Direct Energy response

Athanasios, thank you so much for leaving us a review! We work diligently to ensure that we provide 100% customer satisfaction and it's wonderful to hear that it shows. I hope you have an amazing day! -Elle

Original review: July 20, 2018

A rep from Direct Energy came and knocked on the door. He was very friendly and helpful. He answered questions, and followed through. I didn’t sign everything that night and he followed through with information for me. I feel very good about that. Also, Direct Energy transferred into my utilities, and I had gotten a bill. I had both gas and electric, but I changed the electric back. I was getting it from Connecticut and their prices were going up. They called to warn me and they would let me know when it went back. I was able to transfer out of Direct Energy but I still have them for my gas. The one that I had been with before said they would let me know when whatever problem they were having was straightened out. I had stipulated that in the beginning with Direct Energy and I wasn’t in a contract with them so I could get out. All in all, I recommend Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

We truly appreciate you leaving us a review, Greta! If you ever have questions about your gas account or you want to check on electric rates please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are always happy to help. Enjoy your day! -Paige

Original review: July 19, 2018

When my energy contract came up, I checked around and looked for a better price. Direct Energy had really good prices so I went with them. Since then I've had them at our home and I also got my mother hooked up on it. My price has been cheaper than when I was with the other provider. Also, I’ve had good experiences with the team at Direct Energy. I don’t have to call them very much and I do all my things online through the website. However, I can’t get on the website sometimes, but when I can, it has been fine.

Direct Energy response

Hi, Mary. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are happy to hear you are enjoying service with us and letting your friends and family know how they can save too! Don't forget that we have a great referral program where you and anyone you refer gets a $50 bill credit. For more information about that program please feel free to reach out to our Social Media Team via Facebook or Twitter. Have a great day! -Paige

Original review: July 18, 2018

Direct Energy has been okay for me. If I have a problem I call them.

Direct Energy response

Hi, Essie! Thank you for taking the time to leave us an amazing review. I hope you have a wonderful day! -Paige

Original review: July 17, 2018

I love Direct Energy's price and service. I'm older and using their service makes it a lot easier for me. I don't have to worry nor let people in my house to do anything. I try to stay with them every year and I don't even need to call to do that.

Direct Energy response

Hi, Leita! Thanks so much for leaving us an amazing review! We look forward to continually providing a service you love. Enjoy your day! -Paige

Original review: July 17, 2018

I had another provider before Direct Energy when I was in a different town and my bill’s a whole lot higher now. I paid like $500 last month. It’s been hot in the summer so I figured the bill would be higher. I just didn’t realize it would be that much higher. I’ve been with Direct Energy for so long and I always hear about rate plans, specials and stuff but I don’t think I'm getting them. But when the power would go out, they would say how long it would be out and that they would try to fix it by such time.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Direct Energy had a low rate and their reps were very respectable. They helped me out and explained the rates, and I never had a problem at all with every person I’ve spoken to. I tried to use a different provider in the past and their rep didn’t explain to me that I was gonna be on a contract. I cancelled them right away once I got the paperwork from the mail. Then I went right back to Direct Energy. I am disabled and I’m sick, and New York State keeps on raising everything and Direct Energy helps me out. I'd tell others to go with them, too. I hope Direct will take over National Grid.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for the wonderful review, Laurie! We are pleased to have you with us and it's great to hear you have seen the cost benefits of having our service! Don't forget that we have a great referral program where you and anyone you refer gets $50. For more information about that program please feel free to reach out to our Social Media Team via Facebook or Twitter. Have a great day! -Paige

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2018

Direct Energy seemed less expensive than anybody else. The rep told us we were gonna get 5.4 and it wasn't gonna go up, and that there were no hidden fees. However, there was a $12 a month charge for something that he told us that wasn't gonna be there but it was there, so I wasn't too happy about that. I don't like to be lied to. I contacted their customer service about that, but there was nothing they could do.

The 5.4 ended in May, we were on a three-year contract with them. I looked around and they're not a 5.4 anymore, it's a 7.6. So, I renewed with them because everybody else is a 9.9 and 7.6 on paper looks better than 9.9. Renewing the service was simple. They called me, went over some stuff, and read me some disclaimers, and I said, "Let's do it." We signed in for another 24 months. The way the rep explained it to me was that it's 7.6. But if for some reason, it goes down to six, then we can call them and tell them I wanna adjust my contract to 6.0 or whatever it is now. I'd have to keep an eye on the market, see what's it doing.

Direct Energy response

Hi, Henry! We appreciate you taking time out of your day to provide us with feedback. We pride ourselves in providing a great product at a fair price and it's wonderful to see that it shows. I hope you have an amazing day! -Paige

Original review: July 15, 2018

We thought we could get a better rate with Direct Energy. And when we were with them, they sent us our bill and we paid it. Their reps have also been friendly and knowledgeable. Once, I called them and asked why our electric bill went so high and they explained that it was the six-month thing and we had been using more electricity. We were happy with Direct Energy. However, we changed to ComEd because their rates are lower.

Direct Energy response
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback, Katherine! We regret to hear that we lost you as a customer. But, we definitely understand wanting the lowest rate possible.

We hope that in the future you will consider coming back to us. I hope you have a wonderful day! -Adaline

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 14, 2018

A rep from Direct Energy came to the door one day talking about my price was gonna go up with National Grid and I have to sign a contract to stay at the same price. The rep was a little persistent. I was in the middle of trying to cook for my friend's communion party and it was like she had to have it done then and there. But she was very nice. Then, a month later, I received a letter from Direct Energy and I've had them for about a year now. I called to renew the policy and it was easy. There was no wait.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, Felicia! We are pleased to hear that the renewal was a smooth process for you. Enjoy your day! -Paige

Original review: July 14, 2018

I started out with Direct Energy. Their reps were professional and I was happy with their service, so I kept it.

Direct Energy response

We appreciate your feedback, Shirlene! Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Have a wonderful day! -Paige

Original review: July 13, 2018

Signing up for Direct Energy's service was very simple and lovely. I’ve had it for so long and I’m grateful that I can turn on the air conditioner and have a comfortable life and I’m able to pay my bills. And that’s the most important thing to me. A few years ago, I got hammered by somebody to change and I did and I got hammered with the bill. I broke the contract. It didn’t make any sense. I have Direct now and I will stay with Direct whether they may be a little cheaper or higher because I don’t want to go through that anymore. As long as they’re able to give me the service I need, I’m happy or satisfied.

Direct Energy response

We are elated to have you with us, Klara! We believe in providing a great product at a fair price and it's wonderful to hear you have seen the benefits of our service. Enjoy your day! -Elle

Original review: July 13, 2018

Direct Energy has the best price at the time I went with them. I've been with them since 2013 and it was pretty easy renewing. They just called me and I was done within a minute. However, they didn't go into very much detail about all of the specifics on the plan. Maybe they could take a little more time to explain how everything works.

Direct Energy response
Hi, Marc! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I certainly understand wanting the plan details and will forward your feedback to our management team for further review on how we can do better in the future.

Additionally, I would like the opportunity to review the account details with you if there are any lingering questions. For assistance, please email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com with your account number, telephone number, and full service address for assistance. Thank you! -Adaline

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was with TXU before and the bills were much lower with Direct Energy. I’ve recommended Direct Energy and you can get better kilowatt usage if you would switch over to them. I’ve had several family members who did so.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for the wonderful review, Gussie! We are pleased to have you with us and are pleased to hear you have seen the cost benefits of having our service! Don't forget that we have a great referral program where you and anyone you refer gets a $50 bill credit. For more information about that program please feel free to reach out to our Social Media Team via Facebook or Twitter. Have a great day! -Paige

Direct Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Direct Energy is one of the state’s largest electricity providers. Founded in Toronto in 1986, Direct is an international company that also provides consumers - both residential and commercial - with other utilities, including natural gas.

• Legacy: Direct Energy is one of the oldest providers of electricity in Texas, since the company has been around since 1986.

• Selection: Direct Energy offers a good selection of electricity plans, which allows customers to pick a plan that fits their budget and electricity needs.

• Location: Direct Energy is a large company, and they have offices and outposts in more than 30 cities across the state.

• Customer service: Because the company is large and international, many customers must deal with many bureaucratic steps in order to get customer service.

• Consumers: Consumers who are not on a fixed-rate plan or who are renewing their contract may see increases in price from month to month or year to year.

• Best for: Residential customers, midsize and big businesses

1986
TX
www.directenergy.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business