3.4/5 (59 ratings)

About Direct Energy

Direct Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that services homes and businesses in select states and territories. The company offers online bill pay options and smart home bundles.

Top Direct Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Direct Energy wasn't as high in cost as the other companies at that time, so I didn't have to pay as many. I signed up for two years in the Fort Bend area, west side of Houston. T...

Verified

...We used Reliant prior and I prefer Direct Energy over them. Our bills have been way less than when we were with the other provider and I have no complaints. Also, I haven't had...

What is Direct Energy?

Direct Energy is one of North America's top providers of electricity, natural gas and other energy-related products, including water heater rentals and warranties, for both businesses and homes. It offers protection, maintenance and repairs for all its appliances and systems, as well as easy-to-use software that helps track and control energy usage.

Direct Energy is a Texas-based company and serves a large population in Houston and Dallas. Not only does it give you the tools you need to be energy-savvy — it also prioritizes environmental sustainability and donates to various outreach organizations in the community, including Texas Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network.

Direct Energy plans

Buying energy can be a confusing process, but Direct Energy can help simplify electricity and natural gas purchases. The company offers contracts ranging from 12 to 36 months. On its website you’ll find available natural gas and electricity-based energy plans, with four electricity options you can customize:

• Fixed-rate plan: This plan creates a consistent bill based on a customized contract and offers protection from changes in energy market prices. Your price will stay the same for the duration of your agreement.
  • Variable-rate plan: This plan doesn’t offer a set rate or contract term. Instead, it’s based on a month-to-month basis. You can cancel your service at any time, but your rates will fluctuate with the market.
  • Smart home offers: This electricity plan is bundled with smart home devices like the Echo Dot.
  • Free electricity plan: This is a time-of-use plan that offers some free electricity depending on your daily and weekly energy usage.

For natural gas, Direct Energy offers only a fixed-rate plan in some locations.

Direct Energy rates

Direct Energy provides competitive electricity and natural gas prices in its service area. Although its rates constantly fluctuate due to the nature of the energy market, its electricity costs seem to settle around $0.109/kWh for the 36-month plan and $0.118/kWh for the lower-tier 12-month plan. All its electric and natural gas plans come with a $4.95 base charge.

Direct Energy FAQ

Does Direct Energy offer month-to-month plans?
Yes, it offers variable rate plans for electricity (but not for natural gas).
Does Direct Energy offer natural gas plans?
Yes, Direct Energy offers fixed-rate natural gas plans in select states.
Where is Direct Energy available?
It’s available in 15 U.S. locations — Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, and Washington, D.C. — as well as three in Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario.
Can I pay my Direct Energy bill online?
Yes, you can manage your account online and pay your bill through the easy-to-use website.

Is Direct Energy legit?

Direct Energy is a legitimate energy provider that supplies over 6 million homes in the U.S. and Canada with natural gas and electricity. Its award-winning service is likely to meet your energy needs, and its competitive rates and upfront pricing make it worth considering if you’re looking for a new provider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I was with a company and we started with them with a bill for $70. I have a small apartment and after four months, we started paying 175. It was more than a $100 difference. I called and complained about that, and they didn't do anything. I asked my friend, and he said good things about Direct Energy, so I switched over. Direct Energy's customer service was very good and I will recommend them to different people.

Direct Energy response

Hello Imad. Thank you so much for giving us a shot! We are so happy to have you onboard, and we will do our best to show you how important you are to us. If you recommend our service to a friend or family member, and they enroll as a new customer, please make sure to take advantage of our Refer a Friend promotion. Both you and the new customer can earn a $50 credit! Please visit https://www.directenergy.com/faqs/pa/plans-products-services/refer-a-friend. Thank you for this awesome review! Have a remarkable day! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Signing up with Direct Energy was easy. The rep was able to walk me through everything over the phone. I was at work at the time and I was able to do everything while I was still working. I haven’t had any issues and it's very affordable and convenient. They’re very helpful whenever I call them. I used Reliant the first time I moved into my first apartment and I had the same plan or something similar with a free weekend or free night. However, my bill with Direct Energy so far has been about $20 to $30 cheaper. I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing different or not but I am in a bigger apartment, too. So, I was expecting my bill to be a little bit higher.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon, Malik. We are so glad to hear that your enrollment went very smoothly, and we hope you are enjoying the service we provide to you. Thank you for the kind words regarding your customer service experience, as we strive for the best-in-class service on each and every interaction. Thank you for taking the time to submit this review! We will work hard to continue providing you with an awesome experience! Have a wonderful day! - Sophie / Digital Care

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

The experience with Direct Energy has been good so far. They have a free nights plan and I use that a lot. Your electricity is free past 9 PM until 9 AM. If I had any questions, I called the people and their technicians were helpful. I’m not a huge fan of the website though. It’s inconvenient and not very streamlined. You can use it if you want to figure it out but you shouldn't have to try to figure it out.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon, Damion. Thank you so much for this nice and fair comment. We totally appreciate having you in our family! It is great to know you have found the best plan for you! We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with our website, with every new app version we are introducing new features and improving existing ones, we hope you'll enjoy the experience once we have updated it. Thank you for trusting us! Enjoy your day! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I was with Bounce Energy and it switched over to Direct Energy and we stayed with them. We've been with this electric company for a long time. Before this, I was with Reliant but it came back to looking who had a good rate and I've always enjoyed the customer service that Bounce/Direct Energy has had. The only thing I miss is that when it was with Bounce, there was an incentive for paying on time and you could turn those points in to get gift cards. But comparing customer service, they're more attentive. Anytime my plan is going to expire, they'll send me new rates to pick from, whereas Reliant wasn't so open about it. So, you'd end up paying that high market price. But Direct Energy is good about making sure that I'm set up on a renewal.

Our power goes out less. With Reliant, it used to go out every summer at least once or twice because of heatwave. But with Direct Energy, we don't have any issues, aside from the freeze back in February but everybody got cut off. When it thunderstorms, there are times where the power goes out but not as much and it doesn't last very long. The storm has to be bad. I'm not sure how that works because I know it goes off of the electrical grid but we hardly have any issues with power going out. People report that they don't have power and we still do. Even with the freeze, it took us a while to lose our energy.

I went through a name change and the reps were quick. They told me the process and got me switched over. I have gone through two name changes since I've been with them and those have always been easy. They got it right the first time. I have my payments set up on auto pay so, everything is managed online and I never have to call in, which is nice. Anytime anybody ever posts about looking for new electric companies, I always share my experience with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

Hello Cassandra. Thank you for this excellent rating and comment. We're so glad having you as a part of our family, thank you for staying! There is no bigger compliment for us than when our customers say they would recommend Direct Energy to their family and friends! Are you familiar with our Refer a Friend Promotion? You and the new customer can each receive a $50 credit. To find out more information, visit our website at https://www.directenergy.com/refer-a-friend. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you! We will continue doing our best to be your trusted electricity supplier for many years to come! All the best! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Setting up for the service was really quick and I didn't have any issues. The guy that signed me up was very knowledgeable. Then somebody called me before I renewed about some new rate and he was very professional. Direct Energy is a really good provider and they give a good rate. I especially like weekends free because my kids are home. They're well-known a well-known energy company. It's not one of those fly-by-night utility companies. You just want to definitely go with them.

Direct Energy response

Hi Ericka. You made us happy with this endearing review! We love knowing that you have had great assistance from our Customer Care Team. Thank you so much for trusting us with your home, we are so glad that you are taking advantage of our free weekends plan, as it can definitely save our customers with heavy weekend usage quite a bit of money! We're thrilled to hear that you are saving money every month, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you for many years to come. Best wishes to you and your family! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

I signed up for the 2-month free Electricity Plan. I was going over my billing to try and find my 2 free months. Because I had a credit with them thru the TRR Program. I could not find 1 month with a $0,00 on it. I called and spoke with a supervisor. The actual power is the only thing free, not the services or the delivery of the power! Nothing but the Jules used, Not the kilowatts. This is the same for the free weekends plan and any other so-called free plans. So, Do Not Assume that they are free the more that you use, the delivery of that power is charged per kilowatt and the rental of the service to provide the power to your home is charged and the tax on the free power is also charged on your bill.

My bills are around 225-250 a month and for the 2 free months, I was given a $102.00 credit for the power! That is for both months, not each month. SO FYI: They are using bait advertising without transparency of actual billing. Nowadays I guess false advertising, Trap Contracts, and Bait and switch deals are ethical and accepted. Less on Customer Care and Service and more on The Buyer Beware. JUST SAYIN'!

Julie B

Original review: June 27, 2022

Have been a customer with Direct Energy for years. Never had a problem with them and for the most part reasonable in price. However, I caught an overcharge they have been billing me for the past 2 months, and I called them out on it. At first they were going to refund the amount and I paid my original bill amount. Few days later I receive a text that my electricity is going to be turned off because of a balance I owed. It was the balance they overcharged me for, and are making me pay this amount and then will be credited to my account for the next bill cycle. I should of never been charged to begin with. Now I'm having to pay for their error just so they can credit it back to my account. Makes no sense. They charged me this fee for 2 months without me knowing it. I don't appreciate it. And I will be looking for another electric provider.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I have a condo that I decided to rent out and the tenants are responsible for setting up their own account. I received a bill under my name from Direct Energy. I contacted them and disputed the account set up and charges and had my tenants set up their own account. When I contacted their office to dispute the charges and set up I was told I would be called back. How can an account be set up without the consent of a person. That never happened and I received another bill. Then I contacted them again and provided them with the account number for my tenants to have the amount owing transferred to them. That did not happen so then I received another bill, called again to be told that this would be resolved and that I would not be charged and that my account would be closed.

Fast forward another month and I start getting calls from their collection agency which would hear nothing I would have to say and said my dispute was denied. If I did not pay by a set date that it would show up on my credit score. This has been extremely frustrating and I am out of pocket with no support to the matter. A person should not have accounts set up without their knowledge, concerns should be addressed. Would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: April 15, 2022

Had their service for 2 years and was treated well. I was set up for paperless billing and auto pay. But when I switched to a different provider, they locked out my account so I could not see my final bill. Then they kept charging my account saying I had not paid. My attached Account was charged multiple times with the 3 months' previous amounts and they kept adding fees for 4 more months. If you are going to force folks to do Online business DO NOT lock the Account. I will not use this service or recommend to anyone because of this practice.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I received a rejection letter from Direct Energy 11/3/21. They state my Duke Energy account number was wrong. I called 11/4/2021 the phone number provided on the letter to resolve the issue. I was told at that time it could take up to 2 months to switch. I Checked my Duke invoice and my Electric supplier still had not changed. I have spoken to no fewer than 8 people and they are blaming me for not contacting them when I was notified via mail of an account number problem.

I have every name and date of who I have spoken with. I finally got Employee to admit the employee on 11/4/21 who re-entered my account number did not re-enroll my re-entered account number. As we all know rates are higher today and Direct Energy refuses to honor my Enrollment rate in 2021. Follow through is important with Direct Energy if you choose to use them. When our corporate account expires at work I will be switching to another entity. This has soured me towards Direct Energy.

Direct Energy Company Information