2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.41/5

Verde Energy provides green energy and natural gas plans in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Join over 250,000 residential and business customers who have already switched to Verde Energy USA. New customers get up to a $100 rebate for signing up on select plans and there is no cancellation fee!

Verde Energy Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

My Verde Energy experience has been good so far. When I went looking for electric, Verde Energy was on the PA Power Switch. At the time, they had the best rate. We were all electric and they were offering a rate for folks like us that didn’t have natural gas or anything that’s a bit better than anybody else did. Since then, our monthly bill was less expensive. We were with them when we first move out here. And then my contract expired, and their price went up to a point where there were better offers out there. So, we weren’t with them for a period of time, and then they kept calling me and saying that they got this offer.

The thing that was a bit irritating was the first time my contract expired with them, I went on a floating rate and I didn’t really get any notification that that was the case. And so, we ended up paying quite a bit more for a couple of months. And then getting hold of somebody initially to say, “Let us go back to the power company if we’re gonna float rates” was a bit difficult. So, you had to play some games with their phone system. When you selected the option of saying that you wanted to discontinue the service, you sat on hold forever. So, I had to trick it by saying, “I wanna sign up for new service.” Then I got somebody right away.

Verde Energy response

Thank you for your business and for giving us another chance to be your energy supplier. We appreciate your feedback. Happy holidays!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Someone let me know about adding Verde Energy to my energy bill to save me money and help me. With our situation, we could use any help we could get. We researched about Verde Energy and they have mostly good feedback and excellent ratings. We got somebody on the phone. Their reps were nice, sweet, polite, informative and helpful. They answered all of my questions and made sure I didn't have any more. They even answered questions that were related to the topic that I didn't think of. We wanted to save the most that we can and with Verde Energy, you save money for a certain amount of time, then it doubles your rate. Plus, they work with you. I'd refer them to friends.

Verde Energy response

We are glad to hear that you had such a great experience with the customer service representatives and that you would refer your friends. Don't forget that you can receive incentives like gift cards for referring your friends; if you'd like to inquire on how to participate, please contact our Customer Service department.

Original review: May 25, 2019

When I first signed up with Verde Energy, they said my electricity bill would stay the same but it hasn’t. The first summer we moved in, it was only $54 a month, which was amazing. And then, the following year, as soon as winter started, it went up to $700. I went on a payment plan because I can’t afford $700, and it’s been in the $300 or $400 since then. There’s no reason for my electric bill to be $300 or more every single month. There’s only two of us living there. My son lives there on the weekends, but we turn off everything. The only things that are always plugged in are my freezer and refrigerator.

When I talked to Verde's reps, they gave me all the information and they've helped me so far. I don't think it is their fault that my electric bill is garbage. The rep did tell me that my rates would stay the same for a year. I’m gonna have Met-Ed come and check all the electricity and see what’s draining most of the power. I think it is just because we need to get the whole house rewired.

Verde Energy response

We are sorry to hear that your electricity bill has increased. We hope that there has been a slight difference in your bills since you enrolled this winter and we hope that Met-Ed is able to determine the reason why your usage is so high.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Too many companies called to give me offers and when Verde Energy called me, I was more interested with them. Everything they said was good. I’ve been with them for almost a year and I have no complaints. I don’t have any problem with my electricity and the rate is cheaper. It’s hot in my house so I have more expenses and I told the customer service rep that I have some microwaves, a stove and a refrigerator. He gave me good service. The guy who talked to me said that I gotta call or somebody is going to call me for renewal for another year, so I can put the old utility again. It's the first company I had in my life that had a good job with me. I wanna keep them and I will recommend them to people.

Verde Energy response

We appreciate your business. We know you have a lot of choices when it comes to your energy and we are very grateful that you chose us. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Verde Energy called me and said they were cheaper and they offered an incentive. But I did not get that, and when I got my bill and checked it, it was way more than what they had said. I just found out this month about the cost because I don’t usually get my bills mailed to the house. I get them through the internet. But I had a problem with getting my bill, so they sent me a paper bill, and it was three times the amount that I would've been paying if I was on West Penn Power. Verde wasn’t saving me money, so I would like to get off of them and go back to West Penn. Nevertheless, I would still recommend Verde to someone. It’s kinda weird though because I have two companies. One is giving me the power, and the other one is charging me for the power, and then the bill was from West Penn, not Verde. It was confusing.

Verde Energy response

Hello Ms. Reefer. We are saddened to hear that you wish to cancel your services and that you are confused with your bill. We are here to help clear any confusion you may have. Please don't hesitate to call or email us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verde Energy?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Very dishonest how this company does business.. charging me 16 cents a kWh when others are at 3 cents.. As soon as I caught what was going on I canceled my service and was told no help could be offered.. very dishonest and shady. I have a large family and overlooked a rate increase by 2 months and it turns into a 700 dollar bill.. This company should be ashamed if this is how they do business.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We’re a small community of about 300 people here in town and everyone has Verde Energy. I’ve always been well-pleased with the service I get from Verde Energy.

Verde Energy response

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are glad to hear that you are pleased with the service and we appreciate your business.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I had Verde Energy previously, then I switched to another provider. Verde made several calls to me and I told them that I switched to somebody more competitive. They kept up with the calls, asking me to switch back, and they were going to give me $100 rebate via debit cards. I noticed that Verde's cost per kilowatt hour is higher, but I get the rebates so that’s where it balances out. However, I haven't received the first debit card yet. It was supposed to be two $50 debit cards that I haven't received yet.

Verde Energy response

We appreciate your business and that you allowed us to be your supplier once more. In regards to the incentives offered, please contact our customer service at 1-800-388-3862; there are 2 rebate forms that should be filled out in order to receive the gift cards. If you have already completed the forms, we can also check on the status for you as well.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

They were supposed to send me a email concerning the rewards for signing up for Verde energy program. I want to know why they lied and then send me the email I signed up with him so why didn't they send me the email?

Verde Energy response

Thank you for your review. We apologize that you did not receive the email that you were promised. Typically, enrollments take 24-48 business hours to be processed from our sales department into our billing system. From that point, an enrollment confirmation (welcome) email or letter should be sent within a few days of the enrollment receipt. If it has been more than a week and you have not received any communication, please contact us so we can reissue the correspondence.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I got a call about Verde Energy, and it sounded like a good idea to me and I just grabbed it. I've been with them since 2013 when I moved into my house. Everything is just perfect for me.

Verde Energy response

We are so glad to hear that your experience has been perfect. We appreciate your business and your loyalty. Thank you for your review.

Verde Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Get cost-effective green energy in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania. The company offers competitive prices and has a $100 rebate offer for new customers.

• Switch for free: There’s no cost to switch from your current utility provider to Verde Energy.

• No cancellation fee: If you decide to switch companies, there’s no cancellation fee to switch from Verde Energy to another utility company.

• Low cost renewable energy: Verde Energy provides 100 percent renewable energy for their customers. Because they’re an energy supplier and not a utility company, Verde Energy can keep costs competitive for customers.

• Options for homeowners and businesses: Verde Energy provides 100 percent renewable energy services at competitive rates for both homes and businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team