4.1/5 (153 reviews)
Author picture
Edited by

Overall Rating4.1 out of 5

About Verde Energy

Verde Energy provides renewable energy from sources like wind, sun, plants and other natural sources. It works with local utility companies in seven states to provide green electricity and natural gas to businesses and homes. There is no cost to switch to Verde Energy, and prices are locked in for up to 24 months. There is also no cost to switch to another energy provider. Rebates are available for new customers.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• Renewable energy
  • Free to enroll
  • No long-term contracts
  • No cancellation fees

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Supply fluctuations

Bottom Line

Verde Energy is a renewable energy company that provides clean electrical and natural gas energy sources. By partnering with local utility companies, it serves residential and commercial areas. There is no charge to enroll, and you can cancel at any time. Verde Energy is available in seven states and Washington, D.C.

Top Verde Energy Reviews

Verified

Verde Energy called and they said they could lower our bills so we decided to go with them. Customer service is usually polite and pleasant to talk to. We did pretty good with Ver...

Verified

What is Verde Energy?

Verde Energy is a renewable energy company that serves Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. It partners with local utility companies to provide clean electrical or natural gas energy to your home or business. Renewable energy is generated through sources like solar, wind, biomass and hydro. It doesn’t cost anything to switch to Verde Energy, and service can be canceled at any time, as it doesn’t require contracts. Verde Energy services are provided at a fixed rate.

How does Verde Energy work?

Verde Energy offers clean, renewable energy sources for residential and commercial electricity and natural gas. It works with local utility companies in Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. Verde’s green energy is generated through sunlight, wind, rain, plants and other natural sources.

If you live in one of Verde Energy’s service areas, you can switch for free, and no deposit is required. Enrollment is available online. Information needed to sign up is your address and basic information from one of your monthly utility bills. Electrical or natural gas service won’t be interrupted during the transition. Verde Energy then becomes your power provider; however, your local utility company can service your account, read your meter and make any repairs.

If you decide you want to switch to another utility provider, there is no cancellation fee. Rebates are available for both electricity and natural gas with Verde Energy.

Verde Energy rates

Verde Energy rates vary based on the service location. Rates are locked in for up to 24 months. However, there are no early termination or cancellation fees if you switch during the term. Some pricing for Verde Energy’s service area includes:

• Massachusetts: $0.3999 to $0.4099 per kWh
  • New Jersey: $0.1049 to $0.1399 per kWh
  • New York: $0.1229 to 0.1279 per kW
  • Ohio: $0.1412 per kWh (state average)
  • Pennsylvania: $0.0769 to $0.0989 per kWh
  • Washington D.C.: $0.13 per kWh

Verde Energy FAQ

Is Verde Energy transferable if I move?

If you move to another area Verde Energy is available, you can transfer your service.

Where is Verde Energy available?

Verde Energy is offered in Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C.

Does Verde Energy offer rebates?

Verde Energy offers rebates if you switch to using electricity or natural gas with the company.

Does Verde Energy have a cancellation fee?

Verde Energy does not require a cancellation fee or long-term commitment.

Is Verde Energy worth it?

If you’re looking for clean, renewable energy sources for your electrical or natural gas services, Verde Energy might be beneficial. Because it works with local utility providers, it isn’t available in every state. But if you’re in the Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. areas, you may have access to services. Another benefit is that there are no long-term contract commitments, and it is free to switch to Verde Energy.

Verde Energy Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verde Energy?
Original review: April 26, 2023

I've renewed with Verde Energy twice. I always negotiate a better rate and they're willing to do it. They have been really fair and negotiable, and I take a three-year contract out with them. I'm happy. They're very easy to work with and I tell people all the time, I would recommend Verde Energy and I have a good supplier.

Verde Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a positive review. We are delighted to hear that you have renewed your contract with us twice and that you found Verde Energy to be fair and negotiable. We pride ourselves on our customer service and are glad that you found our team easy to work with. Thank you for your loyalty and for spreading the word about our company.

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2023

Verde Energy was among the lowest rates and the best deals. There were no early termination fees. So, I went with them and I stayed with them. Being a green energy product is important to me as well. I was with them for a while and was searching around for somebody else. I was gonna switch and then when I called to ask some other questions, I was offered a better rate. So, I was like, "Well, okay, I'm just gonna stay with you guys then." I signed on for two years. I really do appreciate that there's somebody there to answer the phone when you call, which is not the case every place else. Customer service is huge with me. They could bring the rates down, but that's not in their control. So, I'm good with what I have right now. I'm pleased with it. I'm managing.

Verde Energy response

It's great to hear that you found our customer service helpful and responsive, and we will continue to work hard to ensure that you receive the best possible service. We are also glad that you chose to stay with us after we were able to offer you a better rate, and we will do our best to continue providing competitive prices. Thank you for being a loyal customer.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

We got a very cheap energy deal with Verde Energy. Since we used them, our energy bill has been reduced between 70% and 80%. Every time that I called because I have questions when I would be renewing the contract, their reps were very professional. They were very available to answer any questions and give any information that we needed.

Verde Energy response

We're thrilled to hear that you have noticed a reduction in your energy bill. Thank you for choosing Verde Energy to be your energy supplier. We appreciate your business and feedback.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I was online comparing rates and at the time, Verde had what seemed to be the right plan to pick. Their rates were not the lowest but I liked the program. Verde was fine. I had gas so we had heat in our house and warm showers. But their rates have changed and that's why I switched away from Verde.

Verde Energy response

Thank you for your valuable insight. We appreciate you letting us know the reason you chose us and why you selected a new supplier. We're grateful for the time you were our customer and we hope that you consider us in the future.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

They're on terms so when I didn't realize my term was about to be up, I had a really large electric bill. It was because the cents per kilowatt went extremely high. It was over $100 just in that, which wasn't even from our usage. I said to them, “I'll stay with you guys if you give me a term or a really good low rate, but I need help paying for this.” and they were gonna send me a $50 gift card.

When anyone ever asked me how it is having the solar panels on top of an electric bill, I say you still are paying two providers monthly. But during the summer months, you might have some higher solar bills and then your electric bill is like 12 bucks a month. That goes credited into the winter months. My highest bill has been 150. Any time I run into other providers who are always at Walmart, I say I'm already rolled into a term with someone.

Verde Energy response

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your experience with us. It's great to know that we resolved your concerns and that you remain a customer of Verde Energy. We appreciate your business.

Original review: May 5, 2023

I have my electricity through them. At the time I changed to them two years ago, my rate was higher than what I had previously. So, my bill went up compared to what it used to be. But energy rates were going up anyway.

Verde Energy response

Thank you for sharing your experience with Verde Energy. We appreciate your business and hope to continue servicing your energy needs for many years to come.

Resolution response: May 6, 2023

The company finally sent the rebate. Still can't figure out why this happened?

Original review: April 30, 2023

I selected Verde Energy in January 2023 as my electric supplier. One of the promos was two $25.00 Visa Debit Cards. One was after one month and the other at 6 months. I sent the first one in Feb. 2023, and the rebate was approved on 3/02/2023. The timeline is 4- 6 weeks. I have received no Visa card. I have called and e-mailed 7 times. All I get is promises and lies. It has been over 8 weeks now and no results. They put you on hold and send you to other departments in order to frustrate you. I e-mailed Anna and Dulce along with a call to Supervisor Diana. I get nothing but excuses. They are using this promo as bait and switch.

Verde Energy response

We are terribly sorry to hear that this has been your experience. It is understandable that you are frustrated with the delay in receiving the Visa card that was promised to you and we can assure you that this is not a case of bait and switch. As such, we'd like to get additional details so that we can ensure that you receive the promised card. Please email us at officeofthepresident@verdeenergy.com so we can assist you.

Original review: April 26, 2023

So far, everything's all right with the services of Verde Energy. Their price was decent, too. They asked me a certain question when I called to renew and everything went well.

Verde Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with Verde Energy. Our team is dedicated to providing our customers with excellent service, and we are glad that you had a good experience when renewing your contract with us. Thank you for choosing Verde Energy, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Original review: April 20, 2023

For the most part, the Verde Energy team members are okay, but I got irritated with the renewal process. If I don't change things, then I expect things to be the same, but all of a sudden, my price quadrupled. When I called to find out what was going on, they said, “Well, you didn't get back to us. We're charging you full price.” I got upset about that. I got some stuff in the mail and it was my fault that I didn't pay close attention to it, but Verde came down a bit and cut me a break.

This last year, I lost track of time and called a day too late. I didn't respond soon enough, and again, they wanted to charge me the full price anywhere from one to three months. They couldn't pin it down for sure, so they ended up pinning it down to two weeks. If I call and commit to it, I don't understand why that price doesn't engage at that time. Why is it an automatic “You're gonna wait till we get around to it” type of deal? If I don't call and change, why would they not pursue it? People get something in the mail, but it could get lost and they're not gonna know about it till all of a sudden, they get this bill that just knocks their socks off.

The bill that I got last time was more than I've ever paid for electricity at that house, and I've been there for 35-plus years. For the most part though, everything is fine, and as long as the price Verde is giving me is the best price that's going out there, that's all that matters. Just be careful because when a renewal comes, you might be caught off-guard like I was.

Verde Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We understand how frustrating it can be to have unexpected changes in pricing and to feel like you are not being heard or understood. While we strive to make our renewal process as straightforward as possible, we understand that there can be misunderstandings and confusion. We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration you experienced and appreciate your business. As such, we'd like to take a look at your account to see what transpired and what improvements can be made. Please email us at officeofthepresident@verdeenergy.com with your account information so we can assist.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2023

I have had no issues or negative experiences with Verde so I am pleased with your service. My contract is expiring next month so I hope I can renew at same rate or near that 0.08909 rate. If not I will be forced to shop around if yours goes a lot higher.

Verde Energy Company Information